He shouldn't have been going out tonight. A storm had settled over the Upper East coast, lighting the sky with big bright bolts that followed thunder cracks echoing like sonic booms. Sandra was no fan of thunder and lightning. Her true maker had taken her on a night like this, using the noise of the storm to cover his tracks as he crept into her bedroom in the middle of the night and stole her from her bed. Usually on nights like this Joshua stayed home with her, passing the time with extra lessons on vampire do's and don'ts. But tonight the idea of staying home didn't appeal to him in the slightest. The air held a distinct chill, and the darkness seemed to be whispering to him.

Come play…

Rising from his coffin, Joshua set his copy of The Vampire Lestat to the side and headed to the closet. He had planned to stay in, but now that he was leaving he'd need to hurry or he wouldn't have enough time to accomplish his mission and return home before sunrise. Life as a vampire was a constant rat race to beat the sun.

He pulled open two large doors, revealing his walk-in closet. It was stocked with black clothes, boots for work and loafers for play. He saw no need to ever wear bright colors. He was a creature of the night, a child of darkness, and he may as well live up to that reputation. He chose a pair of freshly pressed black slacks and a black button down. Simple, mysterious, sophisticated.

Then he turned to the metal cabinet mounted on the wall. Unclipping the latch he opened it to reveal an array of weapons, a small percentage of his personal arsenal. There were wooden stakes and silver knives. Metal balls with sharp spikes and grenades still attached to their pins. On one panel off to the right was a display of guns in various calibers, loaded with silver bullets. Though tonight he was not on duty, and wasn't suspecting any trouble, he always liked to have a friend in the car, just in case he needed it. He picked out a nine-millimeter and checked the clip before heading out of the closet to change. By the time he had showered, dressed, and gone through his grooming routine it was nearly midnight.

"Sandra!"

His voice echoed through the small farm house. She hadn't been downstairs in the living quarters, so he knew she was on one of the upper levels; most likely in the kitchen. He'd just pushed open the swinging kitchen when she stood up to answer his call.

"Master?"

Joshua took in her steaming coffee mug on the table. Probably herbal tea. It was a habit from her human life that she had yet to let go of. The mug was an old one he'd picked up while living in China in the 1700's, and he smiled at the memory.

"Relax," he told her. "I don't need anything."

Sandra returned to her brown wooden chair at the kitchen table. Her tiny hands wrapped around the mug and they shook slightly as she lifted it to her lips.

"I'm going to the city."

Her eyes rose sharply and she jumped from her seat.

"My Lord-."

"I should not be gone long."

"But, my Lord-."

"We have been over this numerous times, Sandra. You are safe here. Few people know what and where we are, and those who do would never attempt to break into the home of a General."

"But Master I-."

"Am still frightened?"

She nodded, dropping her gaze with shame. What half decent vampire was afraid of something as simple as thunder? They weren't supposed to fear the things that go bump in the night; they were the things that go bump in the night. Joshua read the thoughts passing through her mind, and put his arms around her. Sandra accepted his embrace, wrapping her thin arms around his trim waist. He was hard and cool, his skin just the slightest bit clammy. All of these were traits that would have been considered turn offs in the human world. Humans preferred their mates to be warm, and soft. But in the vampire world, Joshua was pure vampiric perfection.

"Do not be afraid," he said. "It is just a storm. It will pass just like all the others."

He pulled back to look at her, and cupped her chin to turn her face up toward him.

"And do not be ashamed of your fears. It means there is still something human in you, and that cannot be bad."

"Yes, Master," Sandra whispered.

Joshua stepped back, collecting himself and ending the moment. Then he left the kitchen and headed for the garage. Sandra followed.

"Now, you will stay indoors, and you will phone me at the first sign of any trouble."

"Yes, my Lord."

"You will go into the basement if anything happens-."

"And I will summon the other Generals if needed. I know the routine, my Lord."

Joshua paused at the doorway to the garage and nodded to her. She was turning into a fine vampire. She'd make a great mate to a warrior, one day.

"I know you do," he said. "I also know that you will be fine."

When he turned to leave, her voice stopped him.

"Should I have a bath waiting for you when you return?"

He nodded.

"That would be appreciated."

Joshua went into the garage, climbing into the spotless Mercedes. He rolled down the driver's side window as the engine turned over and the garage entry door slide open.

"My Lord," Sandra called. "Please be careful."

It was pointless to tell a General to be careful. With their powers, strength, and training they were virtually unkillable, even by vampire standards. But regardless her Master nodded, acknowledging her request and backed away from the house.

 

~*~

He could sense her as soon as he stepped into MONROE'S. All vampires were equipped with special radar, allowing them to detect each other. It came in handy during times of danger. At first he'd thought another male had entered his space, seeking to seduce human females on his territory. But a quick scan of the room told him he'd been wrong. It was a female, a beautiful female. Her hair was short and red, worn in the finger wave style that reminded him of the late 1920's era. Her lips were blood red, and she sat in her white gown sipping a Ruby Manhattan.

Joshua narrowed his blue eyes, trying to get a feel for how old she was, but since all vampires froze as how they looked when they were turned, it was impossible for him to tell. She looked to be in her late 20's, but she'd always look that way, even if she were two-thousand. Feeling her stare, she looked over at him, and he gasped at her hazel eyes. They were mesmerizing. She was mesmerizing. She smiled at him, and he felt drawn to her side.

"I know all of the females in this district, and I do not recall ever seeing you before."

She sipped her Manhattan before replying.

"What makes you think you should know who I am?"

"Because I know everyone in my parish," he said. "And you are vampire, are you not?"

Her red lips parted, and pristine fangs slipped from her upper jaw.

"I'm Evangeline," she said, extending a hand to him.

Her skin was smooth, pale, and flawless. He took her hand and kissed her knuckles softly. It was a sign of respect in their culture. Since most vampires were many centuries old, they could remember a time when the men were rugged and the women were delicate. Many of them liked to pretend things were still that way.

"I am Joshua Chasez," he said.

"I know exactly who you are, Joshua," she told him. "You are one of our best Generals."

He shrugged modestly and glanced around. This wasn't the time or place to be discussing any details about their military organization.

"That is what they say."

"I've seen you fight," Evangeline replied. "What they say is the truth."

The bartender came over, and Joshua ordered his usual: straight whiskey. Evangeline asked for another Ruby Manhattan to replace the nearly empty glass before her. All that remained was a maraschino cherry.

"So, Evangeline-."

"Please, call me Eve."

Joshua nodded.

"As you wish. So, Eve, are you aware of how dangerous it is for a female to be in a place like this alone? You would be much safer in a Circle bar."

Circle bars were hangouts owned and operated by vampires, regulated by the various district managers. Circle bars got a few human visitors from time to time, but for the most part their patrons were vampire exclusive.

Eve turned up her nose at the idea.

"Circle bars are boring. Same old crowd of males I've been talking to for the past eight-hundred years. I'm sure they won't miss me for one night. Besides, I'm not alone. I'm waiting for my escort."

Joshua's eyebrows rose.

"Eight hundred years and I've never met you? How is that possible?"

"Joshua," she giggled. "Surely you can't think you know every vampire there is. We're a large race, and growing every day."

That was true. Vampires were spread all over the world in various kingdoms, and new makers were popping up with newborns all the time.

"And this escort of yours, where is he?"

Eve checked the delicate pearl watch on her wrist.

"He is late. How very unattractive."

"If we were at a Circle bar it wouldn't matter. But since we're out in the general public I feel compelled to stay with you."

"I assure you, General, I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself. You may have all the training, but I am just as strong as you are."

"Are you?"

"Yes."

He severely doubted this. While all vampires were strong, the training made a large difference. Just like humans, vampires could train to be faster and stronger if they wanted too.

"Alright, answer this question for me. You are exiting this establishment, alone, walking to your car -which I assume is parked around back on the left side. Three men follow you, and they intend on doing you harm. You cannot run, because that alley is a dead end. What do you do?"

"How do you know where my car is parked?"

"Process of elimination. I would have noticed it, had it been parked out front, and you do not look like the kind of female to park blocks away and walk."

Eve's eyes twinkled in the bar lights.

"And you were so modest before when I praised your position as General."

"I doubted that I am the best, but that does not mean that I am not still good at my job. Now tell me, what would you do?"

"If three men cornered me in the alley?"

"Yes."

Eve thought for a moment, and finally leaned back on her bar stool, turning her face toward the ceiling.

"Fly."

Joshua's expression became astonished. At nearly six-hundred years old he had only barely begun to experiment with his new flying capabilities. Here she was, speaking of it as if she did it all the time. Amazing.

The moment ended when Eve's head whipped toward the door. Joshua had felt it too. It was a presence, this time definitely male. He turned toward the bar's entrance and watched the new male as he made his way over to them. It was Simon Parker, a vampire he could remember seeing a few times before. Simon was no General, or even District Manager, just an ordinary male eager to imprint on a female as lovely as Evangeline.

"General," Simon greeted him when he finally reached their spot at the bar.

His voice held a slight venomous edge. Clearly, he wondered if the General had been trying to move in on his date. Simon was the operator of a Circle bookstore, and when his resume was compared against someone as charming and dashing as Joshua he had no chance with any female - human or vampire.

"Simon, it is good to see you again."

"Yes, it has been too many years. Evangeline, you look as exquisite as ever."

She smiled at his compliment, and an awkward silence fell between the three of them.

"Well, I will leave you two too your evening. Simon, take care." He shook the male's hand. "Eve, it was wonderful to have made your acquaintance. I hope another millennium doesn't go by before we meet again."

He took her hand and placed a goodbye kiss on her dainty knuckles.

"I assure you General," she purred. "It won't be that long."

Joshua excused himself, moving to the opposite end of the bar and distanced himself from the new couple. He tried to focus on his whiskey, and on scouting human women at the bar, but if he wasn't concentrating his gaze would drift back over to Eve. It seemed as though she had the attention of every male in the room, vampire and human alike. That was typical of a female of his kind. They were beautiful and magnetic, but Eve was enchanting. She was graceful and powerful. Joshua felt his fangs begin to slide down from their hiding place, a sure sign of lust.

Thankfully the pair left soon after, Eve being escorted out on Simon's arm. Joshua's eyes tracked them to the door like prey, and he sighed when it closed behind them. Now he could focus on his mission. He left with a voluptuous blonde named Maudette soon after.

 

~*~

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Maudette asked for what felt like the tenth time.

Joshua was there, at the foot of the bed, pulling on his black slacks.

"No, I'm not kidding you," he answered. "I've never understood that human expression, 'are you kidding me?' You only ask that when you are upset, so it wouldn't be a very funny joke even if the other person actually were kidding."

"What the fuck does that have to do with anything? I can't believe you're leaving."

Maudette sat up in her bed, her face red with anger as she held the sheet over her bare breasts.

"I have too," Joshua defended, slipping on his shirt and doing up the buttons. "The sun will be rising soon."

Maudette's mood shifted from anger to disappointment. Her hand rubbed at her inner forearm, where two tiny puncture wounds were just beginning to close up. Joshua could hear her thoughts as he put on his shoes. She wondered when she'd see him again, and if he would have stayed the night had it not been for the sun. She also wondered how she'd cover the bite for work tomorrow.

"Do not worry about the bite. The wound will be closed by morning, and any shirt with sleeves will cover it."

Maudette's head snapped up.

"You can read my mind?"

"Yes."

Her face turned skeptical and suspicious.

"Did you do something to make me sleep with you? Hypnotize me or anything?"

"No. Vampires cannot hypnotize, we can only feel what thoughts are already in your head."

"Oh," she sounded.

He paused awkwardly before turning toward the open bedroom door.

"It was an... interesting evening, Maudette. Goodbye."

"Wait, can we get together again soon? I'm free tomorrow night."

"Sure," he told her. "I'll call you."

Joshua had already left the bedroom when he heard her yell.

"How can you call me, you didn't even ask me for my number?! I thought you liked me. I could kill you, you vampire asshole!"

'One problem,' he thought. 'I'm already dead.'

It was just after 3am and the sky was still pitch black as Joshua weaved his way along the countryside highway. He should have been much closer to home than he truly was, but he kept making all the wrong turns as he drove. His mind couldn't focus on anything, not even something as important as the impending sunrise. All he could seem to think about was Evangeline. She had been charming and witty, and had a complexion like smooth porcelain. Every time he looked out into the beam of his headlights, her face appeared with those hazel eyes burning as vivid as ever. Her eyes reminded him of a young girl he'd known a long time ago.

The year was 1505, and Egypt had just conquered Nubia after twelve years of war. The land was scorched from the blazing fires, covered in rubble and the blood of young warriors. Her name was Sabina, and she had been sweet and kind to a young creature of the night named Joshua. She'd given him shelter and a goat to feed from, and he'd never forgotten her hospitality. He'd been turned vampire just forty-two years prior, shortly after his thirtieth birthday. His maker had been somewhat decent, teaching him the basics of vampire-hood and keeping him just barely above the brink of starvation.

Now Joshua had branched off on his own, travelling on foot from place to place. With all of eternity left to see the world, there was still no time like the present to start. Sabina had been beautiful, with golden skin as deep as bronze and black hair as thick as lamb's wool. She had been wearing a dirty white gown when he met her, and her hazel eyes still haunted his dreams. They say the eyes are the window to the soul, and her soul had been every bit as kind, honest, sensual, and inspiring as her irises had.

He had also been with her when she died, too short a time after they'd met. He'd had six short months with her before she died. Her face would still appear to him now and then, always in the strangest of places. Crowded bars, movie theatres, anywhere his heightened sense were overly stimulated. He'd glance into the crowd and there she'd be, staring wordlessly with those eyes.

When Joshua finally did make it home, Sandra was once again waiting for him in the doorway. She looked shaken, and relieved.

"My Lord," she began as soon as he opened the car door. "I was worried you would not be returning tonight. It is so close to dawn."

Joshua gathered his things, slipping the nine-millimeter into his waistband and out of Sandra's sight before getting out of the Mercedes.

"No need to worry, I simply lost track of time."

That did little to appease her. She still looked worried.

"My Lord, I received a message from the Queen."

This got Joshua's attention.

"When?"

"It came two hours ago. You are to report to her as soon as you return. It sounds urgent. Is everything alright?"

He didn't know what to say. A summons from the Queen so close to dawn was rare, but he had no idea what it was about, and didn't want to worry Sandra over what could turn out to be nothing.

"Everything is fine, Sweet Sandra," he said softly. "Do not fret, all the Queens business with me is urgent, though it rarely ever really is. Go and fetch my garments, will you?"

"Yes, my Lord."

Sandra hurried off, heading for the basement to gather Joshua's royal garments. When meeting with the Queen you wore a special suit made of silk. The loose fitting pants and button up top resembled those of human pajamas, but for vampires they were a tradition. The pattern was based off of their ancient battle attire; loose and breathable, ideal for fighting in. The color of your garments mirrored your station. Common vampires wore white, District Managers in grey. Generals wore red, and members of the royal family wore blue. Only the King wore the suit in black.

When he heard Sandra exit his room Joshua hurried down the stairs, finding his suit laid out on the coffin he slept in. He changed quickly, donning the red suit and putting on the General medallion. He didn't arm himself with any weapons. The castle was secure, crawling with guards who had weapons of their own.

He didn't bother saying goodbye to Sandra as he moved to the door at the end of the basement hall. All of the Generals' homes had an underground tunnel leading to the Queen. For most of them the tunnel had to cover hundreds of miles, linking into abandoned tunnels and old railway systems. But with their speed they could cover the distance within minutes rather than hours, and the direct lines allowed them nearly immediate access to the Queen in times of need. Average vampires didn't have this access, and would have to plan for days and spend several nights traveling to meet with the Queen.

Joshua opened the door to the tunnel and broke out in a dead run, moving as quickly as his stone feet would carry him. He ran for miles, so fast that he couldn't pick out any of the markings to alert him of his surroundings. The walls blurred together like hazy megaliths. It only took him a few minutes to reach the heavy double doors that marked the entrance to the underground castle. The Queen made her home under the most powerful area in the country: Washington D.C.

Before Joshua could knock, one of the thick doors opened, and a young male vampire stood before him. He wore black eyeliner in the winged style of Cleopatra, the traditional white pants of a royal servant, and a gold arm band etched with the Queens name: Kiana.

"Welcome General," he said. "The Queen has been expecting you. Please follow me."

Joshua followed as the servant turned and headed further into the castle, crossing a large room with old pillars that held up the ceiling and candles that cast shadows on the walls. The servant couldn't have been more than fourteen, but Joshua did not get the feeling that he had been turned. He was a pure bred, born to mated vampire parents. They must have done something to gravely upset the Queen, if their son was playing the role of a common servant to the royal court. Their footsteps echoed quietly on the marble floor as the boy led Joshua into a large room, decorated in gold and white.

"Wait here," he instructed. "The Queen will be with you shortly."

While he waited, Joshua took in his surroundings. He had been here, in the Queens day room, many times before. Murals of great wars were sketched on the walls, different battles over the years to unite vampire kingdoms. Queen Kiana now ruled the entire Northern hemisphere when previously it had been broken up into dozens of tiny powerless Kingdoms. King Theodore had spent his life uniting them, and the vampire King of Europe didn't like the power Queen Kiana now held.

"Joshua!"

He heard her voice before she appeared before him, sweeping into the room followed by a trail of lavender chiffon trains. She floated over to him, extending a hand weighted down with antique diamond rings.

"My Queen."

Joshua bowed, kissing her hand before righting himself. Queen Kiana was alluring, with almond shaped brown eyes and a smile that seemed to stretch for miles. The Queen always wore her fangs extended, because in her court there was no one to hide from. She'd been in her 30's when she was turned, but she was much older than Joshua. Her human life had begun back in the days of the Vikings, and she had been good friends with King Eirik Bloodaxe, before his death in 934. Queen Kiana had inherited the throne from her royal mate, Theodore, after he'd been killed in a fire doing battle in Croatia. With no male heir to take the throne, she'd been ruling the Queendom for more than a hundred years.

"You look as handsome as ever. Same crystal eyes, same luscious dark hair, and I suspect..."

Her fingers gripped his jaw, pulling his mouth open. He extended her fangs, and let out a low growl.

"Yes, I was right. Same deliciously pointed fangs. I trust you're still up to your old tricks, fucking and feeding from humans then disappearing by dawn. How many half-breed children do you have now?"

Joshua smirked at her back as she left him and walked toward her lone throne in the center of the room.

"None that I'm aware off."

"Too bad," she said, settling down into the cushions. "Your genes would pass on beautifully. When are you going to settle down with a gorgeous mate and give me more children for my court? I have a feeling your male offspring would turn out to be even better Generals than you are."

"Offspring may come, in due time. But, I have no use for a mate."

The Queen sat back in her throne, eyeing him knowingly. She ran a tongue over the tip of one of her fangs before speaking.

"Joshua, how long have I known you? Four, five hundred years now? When I met you, you were just a baby; a terrified newborn, dying to break away from that horrid maker of yours. You were eager to see the world! Cross the Aegean, climb the Himalayas; build a homestead in the New World. Then I saw you again a few decades later, in Spain. You were just shy of 60, but you seemed to have aged centuries since I'd last seen you."

Joshua struggled to resist the urge to roll his eyes. He knew where this little trip down memory lane was headed, and he was looking for the off ramp.

"I know Sabina's dying hurt you quite a bit. I know you loved her, and you would have turned her and mated her had you been given the opportunity."

"No," he interrupted. "I never would have turned her. I would have-."

"Mated her as a human? Taken her around the world with you? Had a half-breed child and played the role of adoring vampire family man? Either way, vampire or not, you would have stayed with her every moment of her life. But that was ages ago, Joshua. How long must you mourn her before you will move on and find a new mate?"

"I appreciate the concern, your Majesty, but finding a mate is not my focus at the moment. Being a good Master to Sandra, and a loyal General to you, are my only concerns as of late."

Queen Kiana nodded.

"Loyalty was always one of your strongest attributes, Joshua. That is why I have summoned you. I need a trusted friend to look after someone close to me."

"Like a babysitter?"

Her eyes narrowed at his interruption, a blatant sign of disrespect. Joshua backed down, lowering his head and closing his mouth.

"Like a bodyguard," she corrected. "A dear friend of mine has just come into town, and she is unmated. She has no male to look after her, and I worry about her safety. The humans are still jittery about our existence, and a lone female like her is vulnerable to assault. True females of worth are hard to come by these days, we must keep her safe until she returns home."

Joshua's brow furrowed as he thought over the offer. No matter how the Queen worded it, it still sounded like a babysitting job to him, and he was too old to be running around looking after newborns.

"Your Majesty, with all due respect, I'm sure there are others much more qualified than I-."

"You are one of my best Generals, Joshua, the oldest in my court. You are well-trained and protective, and above all you are trustworthy. I would not normally ask this of you but I have known her for nearly a thousand years and I cannot sleep during the day if I am not assured that she is in the best of care. I promise you, she won't be much trouble. Her name is Evangeline DeLoncra, and she is staying in the city."

Joshua's heart skipped a beat -well, it would have if it had been beating. He was being asked to look after Evangeline, the woman from MONROE'S? Excitement set in at the idea of spending more time with her. Her being a friend to the Queen seemingly made her sudden appearance sensible. How could he refuse the opportunity? Not only did he not want to refuse it, but he didn't even have the option too. It was an order from the Queen. He had to obey.

"Highness," he said. "As always, it will be my pleasure to serve you."

"Great!" She rejoiced. "I am so glad you see things my way. You never know, Joshua, you may even end up enjoying her company. You two have so much in common."

Joshua remained silent, his mind still reeling with this sudden change of circumstances.

"I trust you will protect her with your life, as you would if it were me."

"Of course, my Queen."

She nodded, both thanking him for his service and dismissing his presence. He bowed to her before turning his back and heading for the door.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: vampire