Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Let It Rain

"All the hurt that's been stuck inside of me,
make it pour, make it bleed
Let the rain wash me clean..."

 

"Convince Madison to sign Justin to her label." Lynn was saying on the other end of the line while JC was adjusting settings in his Logic program.

"You can't be serious." JC stated, wondering if he'd heard her right. Lynn was known for meddling in Justin's business before but he wasn't sure that this particular situation needed it. He had a feeling that given a little bit more time, things between Justin and Madison would work themselves out. Then again, a little push couldn't hurt, right?

"Just run it by them, Josh." Lynn pleaded.

JC laughed. "They're going to see right through it. I like where your heads at but...I just don't see either of them going for it."

"If Madison knows what's good for her label, she'd really consider it."

"Oooh...I like that. That's dirty. But I also know my cousin. She's going to go with what's best for her heart first and foremost."

Lynn sighed. "I was afraid of that. Do me a favor. Bring it up...the worst they can both say is no."

"I guess you're right. Johnny and I are getting together early before Justin comes in to record. We'll talk it over."

"JC, I don't think I've said it but thank you for being there for him. There's probably a thousand other things you could be doing with your time but you've dropped everything to help get him back on his feet. You two have always had a special relationship, and I'm glad to see that time apart hasn't changed it. He's lucky to have you." Lynn's eyes filled with tears that she chocked back to stop from falling.

"It goes both ways. He's saved me enough times; it was my turn to step in." JC told her honestly, hitting the save button before he closed out of the program. He was set to head over to Johnny's office across town and talk about ideas on labels to approach.

"Well, whatever the reason...thank you. I've got to meet with some friends for lunch but let me know how things go!"

"Alright Lynn! Talk to you soon!"

 

*

JC headed into Johnny's office, prepared for Lynn's idea to get slammed by Johnny. "So, Lynn wants us to plant an idea in Madison's head about signing Justin." He told him when they were seated comfortably around the small conference table. Johnny didn't look the least bit surprised by the suggestion.

"It could work, I suppose. Universal has the kind of pull we need. Even if we just leaked it that he was thinking about signing with Universal, I think Jive would probably throw their hat in the ring." This is why Johnny is where he is, JC thought, admiring the man across the table from him. The same guy that had started his own career so many years ago.

"Not a bad idea. You think we should give Madison a call before we talk to Justin?" JC asked, spinning his cell phone in circles on the table. "Why not." Johnny said with a shrug, leaning back in his chair and crossing his left ankle over his right leg. "Let's see what she says."

JC's upper lip twitched into the faintest hint of a smile as he picked up the conference phone in front of him and dialed Madison's office number.

*Madison's office

The phone was ringing. Again. Didn't that thing have an ‘off' button on it somewhere? I swear I'm going to just unplug it today. It's been nonstop, all day. And all I want is a little peace and quiet. Is that really too much to ask for?

I recognized the number as Johnny's office and out of sheer curiosity, I picked up.

"Johhny! To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Two very male voices laughed, one laugh much higher pitched than the other. "Hey Cos'..."

"Hey Madi! How are things?" JC asked cheerfully. I hit the speaker button and placed the phone back in its cradle, turning back to my computer to finish typing up the report I'd been working on.

"Good. Busy as usual. What about you guys? Busy plugging away for Justin's album, I assume." I flinched when the question rolled off my tongue as easily as it did.

"You bet. It's coming along great! You should come on over and listen in on a session sometime."

Like hell. That was the last thing I needed to do right now. I was confused enough as it was after breaking up with Skylar and feeling as lost as I did; I didn't need to add seeing Justin to the mix.

"Mmm...I'll think about it." I replied quietly. "So, was there a reason for you guys calling me today?" I pressed, knowing that something was up between them other than calling for small talk.

"Uhh, actually..." JC hesitated, "Madison, what do you think about signing Justin to your label?"

I remained silent for what seemed like minutes, trying to figure out what on earth had made them think up this insane idea.

"...you're joking, right?"

JC pondered it for a moment. "No. I'm completely serious. The new sound he's got on this album would be a perfect addition to the label's roster."

Laughter bubbled up from my throat that I couldn't stop and I began giggling uncontrollably. "Something funny?" he asked.

"You have officially lost it. And I see right through you. This is some ploy to get Justin and I back together somehow. This has the markings of a Mama Harless scheme all over it."

He faltered, almost. "Not at all. It's something Johnny and I talked about."

"Right. Even if that were true, I really don't think it's a good idea. Especially if I'm the one pitching the idea. Though I suppose Universal would probably make the ultimate decision on it."

"So what are you saying?" JC prodded, already feeling a victory. If Madison said yes, then Justin would most definitely be a shoe-in.

I rolled my eyes. He couldn't possibly think that I'd actually contemplate this. "I'm saying...let me think on it a few days." I winced when the words were out of my mouth. "That's a really awkward position to be put in. Did you and Johnny think of that when you devised this little plan of yours?" I questioned accusingly.

"It wasn't meant to be anything personal. But we figured that if we were to go with an indie label, you'd be offended if we chose someone else." He said, trying to cover his tracks.

"No. I'd actually prefer it. Who else are you looking at?"

JC hesitated, eyes glancing up worriedly to Johnny, who was sitting across from him listening to the exchange. "Uhh...well..." he began.

"Really, Jayce? You haven't picked anyone else out, have you?"

He scratched at the back of his neck. Looking helplessly at Johnny, he finally chimed in. "Hey Madi--we've written down a few different places, but we wanted to be sure to give you the opportunity to jump on signing him first."

I huffed, growing impatient. "Like I told JC, can you give me a few days to think it over? I just...this puts me, not to mention, Justin, in a really weird spot." I twirled the phone cord around my finger, doing anything to distract myself from the thoughts I was having about signing Justin to the label. Seriously though, what were JC and Johnny thinking?

They weren't. Simple as that. And I didn't believe for one second that Mama Lynn wasn't in on this as well. She and JC had probably devised the plan and then dragged Johnny into it as a decoy. I smirked. It wasn't going to work. When, well, if, Justin and I ever got back together, it wouldn't be because people were meddling and pushing us to be. It had to happen naturally.

And us getting back together was a big if. There was still so much that was unresolved between us; too many things that needed to be talked about and fixed before we could even think about being friends, let alone lovers.

Did I love him still? Sure-a piece of me always would. But I still wasn't sure just how deep that piece went and how big it was. I'd lost a lot of myself after our split and I was weary of that possibly happening again. A lot needed to change if I was going to trust myself and my heart with Justin again.

And there went my head again. It had been doing that a lot lately. Rambling thoughts that were constantly flowing through my head-all about Justin and my feelings and our relationship, or non-relationship.

"Alright, that's understandable." Johnny's voice broke me out of my dizzying thoughts. I'd almost forgotten I was on the phone with them. "Take a few days, think it over, and get back to me. You know how to reach me."

I suppressed a sigh, wishing that they'd just drop the whole idea. "I do. Take care, Johnny. Jayce-when you see Amber, tell her we'll do lunch sometime this week."

"Alrighty. Later gator."

"Bye Madison!" Johnny said, hanging up right after.

I sat there staring at my phone in disbelief. I had half a mind to call up Lynn and find out what was up but I wasn't ready to have any kind of conversation with her right now. It would only prove to confuse me even more.

*

A few days later, I was in the middle of jamming out to a demo CD that had been placed on my desk that morning, when my jam session was interrupted. I hate this phone, I really do. This past week I've been tempted to send it for a flying leap off a cliff and into the ocean. Things around the office had gotten insanely busy, and while that was a good thing and helping to keep my mind off of confusing things, I was in need of a break. I wondered how many people would notice if I just slipped out for the rest of the day and hit up the beach? The ringing on my office phone stopped and then my cell phone started. Whoever it was was desperate to get a hold of me.

"Madison Martin." I answered, faking a smile. When no one answered on the other end, I glanced at the phone to make sure that the call hadn't been dropped. Nope, still connected, and the number displayed made my eyes widen in disbelief. A number I knew and was growing more and more used to seeing pop up in my recent calls/texts list.  

"Justin?" I asked tentatively.

"...hey." He greeted quietly.

"Uhh...is everything ok?" I was worried, he was acting different than he had the other night that we'd talked and my mind raced with what he could be calling for-especially while I was at work. It had to be huge.

"Oh. Yeah. Absolutely." He answered.

"Ok. So...what's up?" Now all I was, was confused.

"Yeah, sorry. I just wanted to run an idea by you."

"Shoot."

"Actually, it's JC and Johnny's idea..." he began and in the instant he uttered those words, I relaxed. "I've heard the idea." I interjected.

"Seriously?" he asked, a surprised tone in his voice.

"Yep. They called me the other day."

"You've got to be kidding me. I told them to give me a few days to think about it before they talked to you."

I laughed. Of course they'd come at both of us at the same time. "I told them to give me a few days, too. They listen well, huh?"

"Yeah..."

"So what're you--"

"Do you think--" We both began at once, laughing when we talked over each other.

"I think it's a bad idea and it puts both of us in an awkward position, but if getting signed here is something you're really interested in, then we can figure something out." I reasoned, really trying to put aside any personal feelings I felt and look at it from a professional standpoint. For my label, and for Universal, signing Justin would be a great idea. I just couldn't get past how weird it would be for the both of us.

"No, no. I completely agree. I think they're both nuts for suggesting it."

I snorted. "You can add your mom to the list of those needing to be put into a loony bin, then."

"Hey! Watch what you say about my momma!" He said, half offended.

"You know I love your mom. But she's totally the mastermind behind this."

He laughed. "You're probably right, sadly. Ugh. My own mother, plotting against me."

"Yeah. It's terrible. The fact that they dragged Johnny into it is even worse." I said with a shake of my head, resting my forehead in my palm.

"I just don't understand the reasoning behind it, you know? I mean...manipulating us is just wrong."

"It worked though. We're talking." I said with a miserable laugh.

He sighed. "God, you're right. I hate them. But what's the point in them trying? I mean, I think I've finally gotten to a place where I'm ok and I'm happy..."

My eyes widened and I felt the words clear down in my toes-they stung a bit. While it was selfish, half of me was wishing that he was still pining over me.

"And they both know you're in a serious relationship that you're happy in so...I just...I don't get it."

"We're not." I spit out before I could stop myself.

"Who's not?" Justin questioned, confused.

"Me."

"What about you?" Even over the phone, I could tell his brow was knitted together in confusion.

"And Skylar."

"What does he have to do with signing me at the label?"

"Not the label." I replied with a huff. God, why wasn't this coming out right?

"I'm SO lost here." He admitted helplessly. That made two of us.

"We broke up!" I finally blurted out.

Silence stretched on his end and the longer it took for a response, the more nervous I became.

"...oh."

"Oh?"

He was quiet again and it was getting increasingly awkward the longer it took for him to say something.

"So, we both just tell JC and Johnny that exploring other options is the best idea."

Even though it shouldn't have, his completely ignoring what I'd just told him broke my spirits a bit. I wasn't sure what kind of response I was expecting. Then again, I hadn't intended on telling him myself that Skylar and I called it quits. I figured that JC would find out and then it would get passed on down the line.

"Right. Just...tell him that you thought it over and...yeah. Other options." I said distractedly, wanting more than anything to just end the phone call so I could lock myself in my office and bang my head against the wall. Me and my stupid mouth always getting away from me. He was the only one who could fluster me like that and make me completely lose my cool.

"Ok. Sounds good. Glad we're...on the same page."

"Uh-huh."

"Talk with you later."

I placed the phone back on the receiver, staring at it with wide eyes.

What just happened?

*

"Johnny, I want to go to Jive with my stuff." I told him when I met with him for lunch. He didn't appear too surprised by the statement.

"Are you sure?"

"Aren't you?" I questioned, taking the menu from the waitress when she presented it to me. I browsed it quickly and set it down. I wasn't all that hungry. Since mine and Madison's conversation the other day I'd been distracted. So she was single now. So what? What did that really mean for her and me? Was I supposed to pursue her now like I'd planned to before? Try and be her friend? I wanted her in my life-I knew that without a doubt-so why was I struggling so hard with where her place in it was now?

Partially because I couldn't get a feel on whether or not she wanted to be there. Things were so awkward with us.

"...I've already got the meeting with them. They seemed to be excited."

I tuned back in to our conversation and my ears perked. "Really? How much groveling am I going to have to do?"

Johnny laughed. "Not much. They're hurting right now for someone big to come through. And they know you'll produce."

I felt my palms start to sweat and it had nothing to do with the fact that we were sitting outside in the direct sunlight and it was hotter than hell in Los Angeles today. It had everything to do with the fact that I was completely terrified and unsure of how this album was going to do. Everything was riding on my first single-I guess we'd go from there.

"I hope so."

I received an eye-roll that made me laugh. "You need to stop worrying. I have every confidence in you that this album is going to do well...no matter what label it comes out on."

I handed my menu to our waitress when she came by to take our order and took a giant gulp of the water she'd set it front of me. All this talk was giving me a serious case of dry-mouth.

"So, when's the meeting?"

With a glance at his watch, he checked the time and then looked back to me. "Oh, they should be arriving shortly."

I suddenly felt like I was going throw up. Had he seriously just sprung that on me? I wasn't anywhere near ready for a meeting with them. I hadn't brought anything with me and...fuck. I was going to blow this.

"Didn't you hear what I said? Stop worrying. I've got it taken care of. I sent them your first single last week. They loved it."

"But..."

Johnny just smirked at me and I fought not to throw my glass of water at him out of frustration. "You're sneaky."

"No...I just know you. And I knew that if I'd told you beforehand that you would've freaked so I just handled it for you. I'm your manager, Justin. It's my job."

"I feel like I'm fourteen all over again." I said as I slouched down in my chair and folded my arms across my chest. "With that face, you look it too." He joked. I fought the urge to stick my tongue out at him.

"So what's your argument?"

He shrugged, the picture of calm and collected, like usual. "They need you. Plain and simple."

"That's going to work." I said with a snort. Johnny huffed and cut into his salmon. "Just let me handle it."

"Whatever you say-you're the boss man."

"You're damn right. I'm not letting them walk away today without a contract on the table."

He sounded so sure. Which I suppose is a really good thing considering that I'm...not. I know that what I've got to offer is good, and Johnny does too. But are the men I walked out on a few years ago going to feel that way? I guess we'd have to wait and see.

I wouldn't have to wait too long, it appeared. Just as the waitress was refilling our drinks, a man approached the table. Johnny and I both stood and shook hands with him, and I was hoping that he couldn't tell my palms were severely sweating.

"Good afternoon, Mark." Johnny greeted.

"Johnny, Justin." He said before sitting down.

"Let's get right to it, shall we. I've got a lot to do today and not a lot of time to do it in." Mark, the one who had been my A&R guy since I'd gone solo with Jive began.

"Absolutely. No reason to beat around the bush. What's it gonna take to get Justin back on your label?"

Mark's smirk was almost evil but he stifled it and let a fake smile appear instead. "As you can assume, the way Justin left us before left a salty taste in our mouth and we're a bit hesitant to bring him back on in the event that he changes his mind again."

I couldn't help but wonder how different things would've been if I'd have just stuck with them; not run out on my contract renewal. Would I have stayed on top? Would Madison and I still be together or would the pressures of both of our busy schedules have pulled us apart?

"But Justin...why?" she questioned. I felt my shoulders slouch over. "I'm worn out Mads." I said tiredly. "I need a break from all of this. From juggling the five thousand different things that I do day to day to keep my career alive."

"I thought you loved all that." She said quietly, worried green eyes searching mine.

"I do, but I love you more. And I'm not willing to sacrifice time with you just so I can conform to the timeframe that Jive wanted me to put my albums out in. It's too much in too little time. I just need to take a step back. I've been going non-stop forever. *NSYNC went on hiatus, I put out Justified and as soon as we figured out that it was successful and that I'd do ok on my own, I hit the ground running and haven't stopped since. I really haven't had a reason to.

And then you showed up and knocked the wind outta me and made me realize everything I was missing while I was out chasing all these dreams..."

"You're good at that. It's good to have dreams, Justin; to go after what you want." She interjected, grabbing onto my right hand which I had been cracking the knuckles of.

"What I want right now...is you." I told her honestly, not breaking our eye contact and one corner of her mouth lifted into the faintest smile.

"I told you I'm not going anywhere."

"You say that now but...you didn't know me when my life was so hectic that I barely had time to breath. I'm scared that if I had signed their contract and agreed to the terms they set for me, that you'd take that back-that you wouldn't be able to handle it."

"That wasn't for you to decide. I could handle it. We could've made it work. Do you have such little faith in us and where we are in our relationship?"

"Of course not. I just...the thought of losing you terrifies me and so I'm trying to do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen." I reached up to cup her cheek and she leaned into the touch. "I don't know how I got so lucky to have found someone like you and I keep thinking that at any moment I'm going to wake up and you're going to be gone."

She put her hand over mine and squeezed. "Listen to me-I'm not going anywhere. I love you. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you--" She froze and snapped her mouth shut. One side of my mouth turned up into a smirk. "Oh do you?" I asked, leaning in quickly to peck her lips. She shoved me away playfully and fought a smile.

"As if you didn't know that already..."

"...hmm. I might've had an idea. But I like to hear you say it." I gripped her hips in my hands to pull her towards me again. "I love you, Mads. I don't want anything to get in the way of that." I tucked her hair behind her ears and closed the space between us, capturing her bottom lip between mine. My heart rate picked up and I felt her tiny gasp at the contact. Her lashes fluttered open and she looked up at me with stars in her eyes. That look right there, and the feeling I had right now made me more than sure I'd made the right decision.

I needed to stop wondering. I was here now and more than ready to fight to make Jive sign me again.

"What if he can't handle all the pressure and the time he's going to have to put into making a comeback?" I tuned back into what Mark was saying and jumped in when I heard that.

"I can." I would not sit there and listen to him try and tear me down. "I'm well aware of what needs to be done, Mark. You know my work ethic just about as well as Johnny does. We wouldn't have set up the meeting if I wasn't ready to bust my ass to get back out there."

I know I was supposed to let Johnny do all the talking in this but, I felt the need to defend myself. I'd never been one to let someone else talk for me and I wasn't about to start now just because I was worried about blowing this meeting.

"He's ready, Mark. You've heard his stuff. It's really good. And I think it's just the kind of music that the scene needs right now. Everything is so overproduced and...fake. Every song on Justin's album is as raw and real as it gets. It'll be a breath of fresh air for everyone."

I hadn't thought about it like that before, but Johnny was right. While I was writing the music that was in my heart, I was also doing something different than what Top 40 radio was playing right now. And the fans would either eat it up or reject it. The first single would test the waters and see if I would sink or swim.

"Why do we need him?" Mark asked, looking bored as he fished in his briefcase for something.

"Simple-you don't have anything else. You've got an under-producing boyband and a pop princess who's one headline away from crazy town again."

My eyes widened at Johnny and I had to cough to cover up the laughter I felt in my chest. Mark's face was equally as shocked before he, himself, let out a chuckle.

"Even I can't deny what you just said. I've heard some of what you've got, Justin, and I'm impressed with it. The guys back at the studio are too. We're willing to sign you on for three albums. After those three, we can discuss further terms. What do you say?"

It can't be that easy. That's what I have to say. But this is Mark...the guy I've worked with since I was 20 and coming off of the worst break-up of my life. And Johnny's right next to me and he wouldn't get me into something that doesn't smell right.

"I say-draw up the paperwork. We'll swing by later to read over and sign everything later on today." Johnny told him, extending his hand out to shake.

After Mark had left us, I just stared at Johnny in shock.

"It's all really happening again, isn't it?" I asked, a hint of a smile on my face.

"I told you we could do it, kid."

*

(3 weeks later-Madison's place)

The rain is coming down in buckets and all I can do is stare out into it, completely lost in the swirling thoughts in my head. How had everything gotten so ass backwards? At this very moment, Justin is doing an interview with the #1 Saturday night radio show in the country about to premiere his new single-he's finally back doing what he's meant to do, what I fought for him to do so passionately about when we were together-and I can't bring myself to congratulate him or go out tonight for the celebration that the guys are throwing for him.

Isn't this what I'd wanted for him? For us? For both of us to be doing what we loved, and be successful, and be together. I guess that's what was missing. The together part. Since I'd dropped the bomb about Skylar and me breaking up, I hadn't heard much from him other than a text to say that he'd signed with Jive again and a half-hearted invitation to come join him and the guys tonight to party.

I just want someone to hand me the answer. Tell me what to do because at the rate I'm going...I honestly don't know if I'll ever figure it out on my own.

"This is the Saturday Night House Party and you're on with KIIS-FM...we've got a big surprise for all our listeners tonight. Tonight-we're world premiering the new single from the one and only, Mr. Sexyback himself, Justin Timberlake. And we've got a few friends of his in the studio to help kick off the show."

I reached to turn up the sound on my iPod dock and leaned my head back against the rattan chair I was sitting in on the porch. Even if I couldn't bring myself to go out and celebrate with him tonight, there was no way I was going to miss this.

"Joining us right now we've got Mr. Chris Kirkpatrick himself...what's going on, dude?"

"I'm bringin' sexyback..." Chris imitated and the DJs in the studio laughed, and also managed to get one out of me. "You know, I was the one who came up with that saying."

"Which is why you still drive a PT Cruiser."

"Don't hate on the hearse."

By the time the DJs finally got around to playing a song I was in tears from laughing so hard. And in a much better mood than I had been before the radio show had started. A few songs later, they came back and the laughing hadn't subsided. Chris always was the joker of the group-the one to count on when you needed a pick-me-up. "I believe we have a friend of yours joining us tonight."

"That's curious."

"Why?" The DJ asked, confused.

"I don't have any friends. Everyone only wants my money."

"I'm pretty sure this guy has more than you."

I snorted. Yeah...it wasn't hard to have less money than Justin. Though he never flaunted how much he had, it was safe to say that if he never worked another day in his life, he'd be ok.

"It's not hard to do." Chris responded, taking the jab with a laugh.

"Boybands don't pay well?"

"Man! Where were you when creampuff was suing us? I almost lost the thousand dollars I made."

I giggled. "Creampuff...now that's a new one." It seemed everyone in the studio was laughing just as hard as I was. Chris was the perfect person to have on to introduce Justin and his new song. He broke the tension that I'm sure was building and he'd serve as a good buffer if any hard questions were thrown at Justin during the interview.

"Creampuff? Did you ever meet the guy? It totally fits."

"I've seen pictures."                                             

"I shudder to think about that man and what he's doing to the poor guy he's sharing his cell with in prison. I hope he never drops his soap."

More roaring laughter, so loud you could barely hear anyone talking.

"Okkkk....moving along from that mental image..." said one DJ after the giggles had subsided.

"Agreed....and nowwwwww, the world premiere of Justin Timberlake's new single ‘Sing'...enjoy it. It's gonna be a hot one!"

From the first note I was hooked. The DJ was right...this was going to be a hot one. It was different than his other stuff...but incredible nonetheless. When the chorus came in, goose bumps broke out over my skin and by the time the song ended, there were tears streaking down my cheeks. He was so talented and how anyone had let him stay away from his music for so long was a crime. I suddenly felt bad that I hadn't pushed harder for him to get back into it. Maybe I'd given up too easily. Or maybe if I'd pushed harder things would've turned out that much worse for us. 

But I'd never know. And I'd drive myself crazy if I thought of all the ‘what ifs' in this situation. All I knew was that he was back where he belonged and I was incredibly excited and proud of him for everything he'd accomplished so far and for everything that was about to come his way from this.

The song was over all too soon and I knew I'd be rushing to iTunes the minute it went on sale to buy it.

"Here's the man of the hour...everyone welcome JT!" The people in the studio whooped and clapped and whistled loudly and I couldn't contain the grin on my face. I knew the smile on his face right now was lighting up the place and I wished I could be there to see it.

"Wow, dude...that was awesome!" Chris enthused.

"Thanks." Justin said quietly, and I knew he was probably blushing. "Man...why couldn't you write stuff like that for *NSYNC?" He asked with a laugh. "I'm totally not bringing this subject up with you on the radio, dude." Justin replied.

Writing for *NSYNC? Was Chris serious? Oh man...all the time around Johnny had definitely gotten to him. I'd talked to JC enough to know that Johnny had the conversation with them about a reunion while they were in Orlando. Not that I'd mind if they did...not that anyone would really mind if they did.

I couldn't think about that right now, though. This time was definitely Justin's time to shine, again, and I didn't want anything to take away from it. Not even *NSYNC reuniting. 

"So Justin, when's the album set to come out? We heard that Jive's actually distributing it?"

"The album's finished, we just picked all the album art so everything is getting sent off to production in the next week. The official release date is May 15. And everyone listening tonight is the first to know-we're doing an album release show at The Knitting Factory May 14 so make sure you mark your calendars. I think tickets for that are going on sale in a week or so."

"You heard it first, folks. Look out for when those tickets go on sale...we're sure they're going to go quickly."

"Let's hope so."

"Justin, what do I have to do to get a ticket?" Chris asked and I could picture him bouncing in his chair with his arm raised high.

Justin laughed, the sound making my heart beat wildly in my chest, and more gorgeous sounding than I remembered it being. "You're not invited." He joked.

"I know your security guard, dude. And I can kick his ass."

"You're 5'7 Chris, and Mike is...well...taller. And about 300 pounds..." Justin chuckled.

"...you're point?"

"I'd pay to see this fight. Hey Justin, maybe they could be your opening act or something." The DJ suggested.

"OH MY GOD!" Chris yelled out. "YES! That's the greatest idea I've ever heard. Tell Beefy to bring it on!"

They're absolutely insane. And I love them for it. I've laughed more tonight just listening to the radio show than I have in...I can't even remember.

Their laughter faded into background noise as another song came on the radio and I leaned over to turn the volume down. I'd heard all I needed to for now.

*

*Mood Nightclub

I glanced around me at everyone who'd shown up to celebrate my single coming out and couldn't help but feel like the luckiest guy alive. It was only a short while ago that I'd locked myself away in my house, refusing to talk to anyone and I couldn't  fathom the idea of having a song on the radio...but it felt light years away. The person I was felt light years away from who I am now. It's a good feeling. I'm the happiest I've been in I don't know how long and I'm surrounded by the greatest group of friends a guy could ever wish for.

We'd toasted to my single and my victory with getting Jive to sign me again, and to us for staying friends through it all.

There was talk about a reunion, like there always was whenever Johnny was around the five of us. Too much alcohol was consumed. Chris got crazy with a bottle of Johnny Walker and Joey hit on one too many women for being the married-with-kid's guy he was. Lance was getting hit on left and right by gay boys who claimed they loved "boybanders" and JC and Amber were posted up in the VIP lounge, sipping on champagne and being the ridiculously gross, PDA couple.

And me...I'm just enjoying it all.

For the most part.

Chris set a shot glass down in front of me and forced me to take it even though I'd already had enough. "You looked like you could use another one." He yelled over the heavy bass pumping through the club's system. "No I didn't...you're just the only one still taking shots." I replied, scooping up the glass and tilting it to my lips. I didn't even wince when it went down my throat...I think it was too numb from all the other stuff he'd made me take throughout the night.

"Ya'll are just old." He poured himself another one and took it back instantly. I let my eyes wander over the patrons in the bar and couldn't stop the sigh from escaping.

She hadn't come. Not that I really expected her to but...I felt like she needed to be there. She had been just as big a part of my coming back as anyone else. She deserved to be celebrating just as much as me. And if I'm being honest, I wanted her there because somewhere deep down inside I knew that if she was, then everything would feel like it was back to normal.

I really didn't want to do this thing without her. Could I do it? Sure. But I'd rather have her around to enjoy it with me than not.

And what was the hold up now, really? There wasn't anything in our way. Skylar was out of the picture. Sure, there were a few things we probably needed to talk about but...I think now's the right time to give things another go. It just feels right.

"Hey Chris...there's something I've gotta go do. JC drove, right?"

Chris looked at me quizzically. "Think so. What's up your butt?"

I smiled at him and punched his shoulder. "I just have somewhere that I need to go."

"You're going to her, huh?" He asked and I nodded in return before I pushed my way through the crowd at the bar to get to JC.

"Jayce..." I called out, interrupting the conversation he was having with Joey and Amber.

"What's up dude?"

"You good to drive?" I asked, nodding towards the beer in his hand. "Of course. I haven't been down there taking shots with Chris." He joked.

"Good. We're going for a drive."

"Oh God...you're not gonna do this drunk, are you?" He questioned, already fishing the keys out of his pocket.

"I'm as sober as I can be right now. I just...I need to get to her. Now."

"Alright, alright, Romeo. We can head out. Amber-I'll return shortly." He told her, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Good luck, Timbs." Amber yelled out with a wink as we headed down the stairs and out to his car.

Luck. Yeah. I was going to need it.

*

*Madison's house

I blew out the last candle on the coffee table and grabbed my book from it, ready to call it a night. The whole place was dark, the only light coming from the lightning from the storm. It was still raining like crazy and I'll admit that I was excited to curl up in my bed with the sound of the rain hitting my windows.

I was halfway up the steps when my doorbell rang and I nearly dropped everything I was holding.

"Who in the hell?" I questioned, turning around and descending the steps carefully in the darkness. I peeped through the small hole and felt my world tilt on its axis, my book dropping out of my hand and hitting the hardwood floor with a thwack.

My pulse quickened. What the hell was he doing here?

He shifted nervously from one foot to the other and chewed on his lower lip.

I was baffled and unsure as to whether or not I should answer and then a clap of thunder hit that made him jump and I suddenly remembered that it was pouring rain.

Shit. I'm going to have to find out what he wants. It was so like him to do this to me. Get me all rattled and frazzled and then he'd more than likely pull the rug from under me about something. I just needed to get it over with-stop wondering.

I yanked the door open and attempted a smile; all that came out was a squeak when I saw how wet he was.

"Justin, you're drenched." I gasped as I stared, wide eyed at him standing on my front steps. His t-shirt was sticking to him like a second skin, the cuts in his stomach prominent behind the material and making it impossible for me to take my eyes off of. He licked his lips, not doing anything to change the fact that raindrops were falling on his matted curls and trailing down his cheeks, only to fall off his chin.

He shrugged and looked behind him, waving at the black SUV in my driveway. "We had the single release party tonight. I missed you there." He said, the fire in his blue eyes almost melting me to the core and making it hard for me to think in full sentences. "I'm sorry. I just...things are so different now and...it didn't feel right to go."

"Well, it didn't feel right without you, either." He told me honestly, blinking raindrops out of his eyes. He reached forward and grabbed my hand, tugging me out of the dryness of my house and out into the rain. "What are you...?" I began to question, but he pulled me further into him against his soaked t-shirt. "I came by ‘cause I needed to see you." His eyes searched mine and I felt my heart pounding against my chest, threatening to burst out of it with how hard it was working. "Here I a--"

I was suddenly silenced as his lips crashed into mine-and I'd had no warning whatsoever that he was about to do it. My stomach dropped to my feet and I could barely breathe when I felt his soft, wet lips against my own again...the same spark, the same fire that used to be there, still there-only a thousand times stronger and brighter.

I felt his gasps for breath as his lips worked over mine, his hands cupping my cheeks and his fingertips playing with the ends of my hair. His tongue swiped along my lower lip and I shivered before opening and allowing him entrance. God, I had missed this. Why had I stayed away so long? Hadn't he been hinting at this since our run-in at the grocery store...how many months ago was that now? It felt like a lifetime because the man standing in front of me was as far from being the guy I'd seen that night as a person could be. The man standing in front of me wasn't even the one I'd met the first night at the bar all those years ago. But he is definitely the man I love.

Love? As in current tense? Oh God am I in trouble.

I felt him smiling against my lips and I pulled back and put some distance between us, completely ignoring the fact that now I was just as soaking wet as he was.

"Justin, I..."

"Shhh..." He silenced me with a finger over my lips; the lips that were still tingling from his kisses-and gave me that heart stopping smile of his making me forget what I was even about to say or protest.

"I just want you to...think about it." He gave a wink, turned on his heel and jogged off to the SUV that I'm assuming had JC in the driver's seat.

Think about it. Thank about what?

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hiiiiiiiiiii alllllll...

Sooo...i KNOW it's been FOREVER since I updated...I suck. But seriously--writers block plus having no time to write is never a good combo. That being said...TADA! i UPDATED!!!! 

don't hate me too much for how I ended the chapter. Besides, I'm sure it's what you've all been waiting for. lol. 

Also--in case you haven't heard--I'm NOMINATEDDDDDDDD for an award for Characterization of Justin :) YAYAYAYAYA...so go vote for meeeeeeee!!! And to whoever nominated me--I LOVE YOU! It means A LOT that someone took the time to nominate me and loved my character enough to do it. 

 I'm hoping that I'll have the next chapter up soon but I'm making no promises. While it's mostly written, I've got finals and a vacation ( to MEMPHIS to see my booooooo) coming up in the next two weeks that may make it hard to do. 

ANYWHO--this is long and...frankly, my fingers are tired of writing today. So...there we have it! Hope you enjoyed the chapter and leave me some love~!

<3LT

PS. Song lyrics/title of the chapter belong to the lovely Jordin Sparks-"Let It Rain"



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: tourj