Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys...thank you for your reviews. Keep them coming! Please!

Los Angeles, CA – September 5, 2000 

“Hello, this is Ana speaking,” came the distracted reply as the speakerphone button was pushed. 

“Good morning, Ana. This is Traci over at MTV studios. How are you this morning?” the overly cheerful voice filled the office space. Cocking an eyebrow at Johnny, who sat across from her at the conference table, Ana tore her eyes away from her foundation paperwork. 

“I’m doing well, thank you for asking. How may I help you Traci?” Ana replied before cutting to the chase. 

“Straight forward, I see. Well, originally we had asked if you could perform at this weekend’s show, and I understand that there were schedule conflicts. Now, one of our scheduled performers has dropped from the line-up, and we wondered if you would be willing to step up and fill in the spot last minute,” Traci’s cheerfulness was quickly replaced with nervousness. 

“Traci, this Johnny Wright, Ana’s manager. Do you realize the awards show is in 2 days? How is it possible for anyone to put together a performance in 2 days?” Johnny spoke up shaking his head. 

“Hello Johnny, and yes, we realize it is very short notice, but we also could not think of anyone else that we trusted enough to commit and deliver,” Traci replied. 

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, Traci, but…” Johnny began to explain before Ana raised her hand to stop him. 

“Traci, don’t you guys worry. I will do it. Leave your information with Lacy, my assistant, and I’ll there by tomorrow evening to rehearse,” Ana spoke up. 

“Ana, you do not realize how appreciative we are for this. I’ll leave information for you and we will see you tomorrow evening,” Traci breathed a sigh of relief before ending the call. 

“Ana, are you insane? You’re supposed to fly out to Mexico tonight,” Johnny argued once the speaker had been turned off. 

“Johnny, I’m not needed in Mexico until the 8th. I can fly out following the awards,” Ana explained returning her attention to the paperwork. She was opening her first all-girl’s academy in Mexico this weekend with her foundation, En Mis Brazos (In My Arms). 

“And how do you plan on putting together a performance when Rick is in Spain?” Johnny questioned about her choreographer, Rick. 

“Johnny, I’m a dancer myself. Lacy!” Ana called out the office door. Lacy came strolling into the office about a minute later. 

“Call the dancers up, all 12, and have them down at the studio this afternoon. Then, call up Lauren and tell her that the costumes for Latin Grammys will be for VMAs this weekend, so she needs to get her butt to New York asap. Also, call back Traci at MTV and ask her to fill you in on stage design that the last performer had going on. Then, come tell me about it. Reschedule the flights from LA to Mexico. Then, schedule tickets for us for tomorrow and find something to wear for you, maybe Elena, and I,” Ana rattled instructions before finalizing the paperwork, signing it, and handing it off to Johnny. 

“Consider it done,” Lacy replied before jetting off to get to work. Ana gathered her stuff and hung her bag off her shoulder. 

“Are we done here?” she asked Johnny as she stepped to the door. 

“Yes. I hope you know what you’re doing, Ana,” Johnny cautioned her. 

“Johnny, trust me. This may just be the thing I need to do to show the suits what I could do all along. I can already see it,” Ana smiled,

“I’ll be down at the studio if you need me.” And with that, Ana turned out the door and headed to the elevators. Smiling to herself, she grew excited as her mind quickly rushed through performance ideas. 

####

Radio Music Hall, New York City – September 6, 2000 

“What are we waiting on? I thought the show was one performer short,” Chris whined as he slouched down in his audience seat. The guys were waiting for their turn to rehearse. So far, everyone had gone through rehearsals except for them. 

“They filled the spot, you dufus. You really don’t listen, do you?” Lance snorted before elbowing Chris. 

“What? Who did they get?” Justin questioned as he walked up to the seated duo. 

“I’m not sure. I know they just signed on yesterday and they’re coming here straight from LaGuardia to rehearse,” Lance replied with a shrug. 

“Damn Scoop, is there anything you don’t know?” Justin chuckled before turning to the doors, which had just burst open. 

“Ana! You made it! Great!” a stage manager exclaimed before rushing to the doors. 

“Ana?!?! I thought she was in Mexico,” Chris turned back wide-eyed and questioned the guys, specifically JC. He received shrugs from them all before turning back Ana as she walked up the side stairs and onto the stage. 

“Did you guys get the music?” Ana questioned the stage manager as she shrugged off her beige belted jacket, leaving her standing in faded blue jeans, a white tank with grey stripes, and white and silver Air Force sneakers. The guys watched as she was quickly fitted for a headset and a microphone pack, which she wrapped around her bicep. 

“Hey guys, sorry for making y’all wait,” her voice vibrated off the music hall walls as she stood center stage in front of the guys. Here she was doing MTV a favor and she was apologizing for making them wait – unbelievable. MTV should be kissing her feet right about now. 

“You’re the replacement?” JC asked after they all greeted her. 

“No, I’m the main show baby,” Ana kidded and stopped short. She hoped the guys hadn't caught the term of endearment. She chuckled along with the guys when they seem to ignore the 'baby'. Her 12 dancers were stretching in the background and going over some choreography in slow counts. As the house techs worked on the lights and sounds for her performance, Ana walked around correcting some moves. She wouldn’t be going through the entire performance until tomorrow morning, but they wanted her to at least come in and work out lights and sound. 

After about an hour, Ana walked off stage and bid her dancers a goodnight. 

“Stage is all yours, guys,” Ana said as she walked a row behind the guys and kissed each of them on the forehead. 

“What happened to Mexico?” Justin asked turning around in his seat to look down the row to where Ana had just jumped over a seat. 

“After the show, I fly out. MTV called and I couldn’t leave them out in the cold,” Ana replied as she drank from her bottle of water. 

“Is it the same as the tour?” JC asked as he placed a hand on her knee. Ana quickly smiled at him from behind the bottle before answering. 

“I’ve never performed this song, but it’s on the album. Jive didn’t like it for the tour. I love it, and Jive can’t say no, since they don’t know,” Ana grinned and shrugged as the guys chuckled. 

“Uptempo?” Chris asked as he motioned to the stage. All the guys had a look of worry on their face as they thought of her performing a never-before-performed song. 

“Yeah, I came up with it yesterday. Stop worrying guys. You guys sound like Johnny. It’ll be dope, I promise,” Ana smiled confidently before standing and gathering her red leather purse. 

“Fine, we’ll stop worrying. You want to join us for dinner tonight?” Justin asked as the guys stood to head to the stage. 

“Sure, just call me up. I’ll meet ya’ll wherever. Now, I have fittings so catch y’all later,” Ana replied before hugging each guy goodbye. Her embrace with JC lasted a bit longer than the rest. 

“Talk to you later?” she questioned as she pulled away. 

“Yeah, I’ll call you when we get done here. Take care,” JC said squeezing her elbow affectionately and joining the guys onstage. 

#### 

Later that evening “Hey Ana, it’s nice to meet you,” Britney smiled and hugged Ana as Justin introduced them  at the group dinner at Benihana’s on 56th street. 

“Same here, you look so pretty,” Ana complimented. Britney wore some tattered jeans, a black cropped top that exposed all her stomach, and black boots. 

“Thank you,” Britney replied before gesturing for Ana to sit next to her. Ana smiled and took the seat, sandwiching herself between Britney and JC. 

“You look very pretty, yourself,” JC leaned over and softly said. Ana turned smiling and returned the compliment. She wore a knee length grey jean skirt, black knee-high boots, a plain white tank, and a red scarf around her neck. He wore dark wash jeans, crimson polo shirt, and a khaki jacket over it. 

“How’d rehearsal go?” Ana asked as their food was individually served. 

“It went good. We’ll run through it once more tomorrow morning, but we’re good,” JC replied after swallowing his food.

“How do you feel about yours?” 

“I’m a bit nervous, but its an excited nervous. We only get to run through it maybe twice tomorrow morning, but we looked good in LA. So, pray for me,” Ana chuckled as she lifted her hands in prayer. 

“You’ll do great. Who are you going with tomorrow?” JC asked. He knew that they had decided to keep themselves quiet for a while. Even the guys had no idea that they were dating. 

“Elena might be coming up, but she didn’t know if she would be able to get away from the hospital on such short notice. But, Lacy is also coming,” Ana replied before her name was called from down the table. Chris was telling everyone about how Ana had helped him prank Johnny back in June. Ana discreetly bumped her knee against JC’s and he bumped back in reply. A smile graced her lips, and it grew in size when she realized that it was her very own secret. 

#### 

“Here we are with Ms. Ana Mora, looking incredible might I add,” John Norris smiled and introduced Ana as she walked to him on the red carpet. 

“Well, thank you, you’re looking very sharp yourself,” Ana chuckled and fixed his tie slightly before smiling at the camera. 

“Don’t make me blush. Now, tell us about your outfit and your performance tonight,” John tried to smoothly deviate the attention from his blush. Ana chuckled before deciding to not push the embarrassment. 

“Well, I am wearing this lovely dress by Dolce & Gabana, Jimmy Choo shoes, and Lorraine Schwartz jewels,” Ana described before doing a small turn to showcase her wine-colored, high-neck chiffon mini-dress, gold stilettos, and gold jewelry. 

“Now, you weren’t originally on the bill for tonight’s show. How did you come onboard?” John asked. 

“Well, originally, I was asked to perform but I couldn’t because of schedule conflicts. But, I got the call 2 days ago that MTV had a cancellation. I agreed to fill the spot last minute, came up with a routine yesterday, rehearsed today, and I’ll perform it tonight. Hopefully, it won’t suck,” Ana chuckled as she explained. 

“I don’t think you’re capable of being anything but great. But, tell us about the performance. How do you pull something together in 2 days?”

“Well, it’s no easy task, let me just say that. I chose a song from the album that I love and I’ve never performed. I called up a favor, choreographed it, and put it on stage this morning. The performance itself is representative of my upbringing. I’m from Atlanta, and so tonight, I’m gonna show the Big Apple how we do it down south,” Ana sassed for the camera before wrapping up her interview and continue her way down the red carpet. Smiling and posing for an endless flashing of cameras, she longed to get inside and take a seat. 

#### 

“Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the incredibly sexy and talented, Ana Mora!” Jamie Foxx announced from stage left.

The house lights went down and a bass line boomed the music hall. Usually this song had a slow, but groove-like feel to it. But, Ana had called in a favor for the track to be mixed for a more ‘dance-able’ vibe. The end result, Ana felt, was better than the original. This mix was edgier, dirtier, and a lot sexier. And with Ana’s very street-like choreography, this performance was definitely going to rock the house. 

A rush of 13 dancers, all in a variety of hip-hop street clothes rushed to the forefront from the shadows. Lose sweat-like pants, tanks, hoodies, and caps outfitted the dancers. The stage lights shone brightly and showed a setting that looked like an alleyway in some industrial area. The lights caused a shadow on their faces – shielding their identities to onlookers. 

Au-to-matic

Doo doo doo doo doo (doo)

Doo doo doo doo doo (doo)

Doo doo doo doo doo 

A military-style dance break opened the performance. The moves – clean and sharp – made the dancers onstage hard-asses and set the mood for the performance.

I remember when I fell for you

It wasn't when I wanted to

But you were acting so into me

Au-to-matic

Think real good for Martha too

Just like every relationship

We gotta earn the trust too

And can't get it baby

I know many start to changed

We could never be the same

I could do it when you do it to me

Au-to-matic

I know if it came to be

We could get a chance to see

A side of each other

That we'd all hidden up

Slowly and smoothly, Ana shed her hoodie and cap as she danced in line with the dancers. Footwork was smooth and complex, but she kept up. She sang in a sultry, raspy, and almost hoarse-like voice that she definitely wasn’t known for. Looking out into the audience, Ana could see the crowd bopping their heads to the beat. 

What do you do to make me feel

So good for so long

Then take it back

And expect me to be alone

I can get cold

But if you're gonna do me wrong

I'll get you back

Baby that's just just automatic

I remember when I met

The man with all the confidence 

Moving the ensemble around the audience pits to the walkway closest to the main house audience, Ana sang the chorus. The edginess and the rawness of this performance was definitely going to get the suits talking, and the media for sure. 

Every day was promises to me

Au-to-matic

Then you step way out of line

Cheat on me too many times

I'm trynna put you down

All that comes around goes back around (yeah)

I know many start to changed

We could never be the same

I could do it when you do it to me

Au-to-matic

I know if it came to be

We could get a chance to see

A side of each other

That we'd all hidden up 

“You must not know her name! You must not know her name! It’s Ana time! It’s Atlanta time!” her dancers chanted as the music stopped. Before the song could slide into the next chorus, a mastermix of the song kicked in. The heavy hip-hop beats took over and the group jumped into a heavy dance break. In her white lose pants, white bustier, white leather cropped jacket, and black handkerchief wrapped around her throat, Ana popped, locked, grinded, and thrust along with her dancers. 

What do you do to make me feel

So good for so long

Then take it back

And expect me to be alone

I can get cold

But if you're gonna do me wrong

I'll get you back

Baby that's just just automatic

I remember when I met

The man with all the confidence

Standing at the front of the stage all lined up, the singing came to an end. All 13 stood with feet shoulder-width apart and hands on their hips.  

Baby that's just just automatic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

With each repetition of ‘Automatic’ the group bent at their knees and leaned backwards. The strain on their stomach muscles showed as their abs clenched with each further backbend. As the last beat struck, the dancers bounced in their positions – leaned back like tables without the use of their hands. The audience jumped to their feet clapping and yelling in appreciation for a performance that had essentially brought the house down. Ana rose to a standing position, bowed, and smiled looking out into the audience. She spotted the boys of *NSYNC off to the side; they stood clapping, hooting and hollering.

#### 

“Last night brought out the stars in New York City. The MTV Video Music Awards were held at Radio Music Hall, and the event had more than plenty to offer. With performance that ranged from almost-nude-like costumes to rock star and pop star collaborations, the show had more than its fair amount of surprises.

Many will talk about Britney Spears’ performance of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” before launching into her hit “Oops!...I Did It Again”. While it was more than entertaining, her showcase of fit abs and tight muscles in her skin-colored performance attire was the extent of her greatness. This morning, many will chalk it up to be controversial seeing as she’s only 18 years old.

Rival pop star Christina Aguilera delivered a very un-Britney-like performance. Aguilera performed a vocally-talented mix of her hits “Genie in a Bottle” and “Come On Over” before bringing bad-boy rocker, Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit onstage of a battle of the vocals. Unfortunately, the dancing spectacle that makes Britney’s performances does not apply to Aguilera.

Mega-star boyband *NSYNC began their reign of the night with a technologically-savvy performance. Appearing behind television screens, the boys performed “This I Promise You” and “Bye, Bye, Bye” before bringing the club scene to the front of the stage with a remix of “It’s Gonna Be Me.” They may be just another boyband in this industry, but they have the moves, talent, and charisma to be the best boyband. *NSYNC walked away with awards for Viewer’s Choice, Best Pop Video, and Best Choreography in a Video.

Coming in to rescue the day last minute, one would assume that Ana Mora’s performance would have been poorly staged and ill-fully planned. Yet, this promising diva proved everyone wrong. Many chalk this Mexican-French-American beauty to be a Britney-wannabe or a Christina-wannabe. I may be bias because I’ve seen her live concerts so many times, but homegirl has talent. Performing a unreleased song “Automatic,” Ana proved she belonged on that stage. With dance moves that should make Janet Jackson shake in her boots and vocals that rival those of no one else’s, Ana ruled the night. Nominated for one award, Ana walked away empty-handed but she should feel incredibly proud of her performance. If Britney and Christina are reading this, please be afraid. Be very afraid. Ana Mora just signed your pink slips. 

“Man, they ripped Britney and Christina, huh?” JC chuckled as he sat in Ana’s hotel room very early the next night. He was reading the morning newspaper and had come across a review of last night's show. The sun had yet to rise over the New York skyline. They’d only gotten in from the after parties about two hours ago. She was leaving in about an hour and he wanted to spend some time with her before she left. 

“I hate when they do that. I liked their performances,” Ana defended them as she took a bite of her apple. She was already packed and dressed for her flight to Mexico. 

“Yes, their performances were good. And they looked and sounded (well, you know what I meant) good too. And I’m not being bias, but you blew us all out the water,” JC complimented as he snuck a piece of French toast from her plate. 

“Oh whatever,” Ana replied leaning back in her seat. 

“Seriously, you’ve been holding out on us. The dance moves, whoo!” JC exclaimed before chuckling as Ana threw a cushion at him. 

“Oh hush, you only like the booty-shaking,” Ana retorted as she fixed her ponytail. JC nodded in agreement before silence took over the pair. 

“I’m thinking of leaving Jive,” Ana broke the silence. JC paused in mid-bite and looked at her with a questioning eyebrow. 

“Why is that?” he asked as he slowly continued to chew. 

“Because of things like this. Granted I appreciate the reviews of my performances, but I shouldn’t be shocking them each time because I actually have talent. My albums are good, but they’re not great. I don’t feel I have much creative freedom. I know they would’ve probably chew my head about last night, and I don’t care. Plus, I’m not Britney and Jive makes bank with her,” Ana shrugged her response. 

“Have you tried talking to them about the creativity?” JC questioned. He honestly didn’t know many details about Ana’s career. She didn’t walk around giving contract details like many artists he knew. 

“Yes, and every time I’m basically given an ultimatum. It’s their way or I get dropped. I make album sales, concerts sell out, magazines fly off shelves, merchandise runs out, yet I don’t get to decide what I get to sing. I’ve been with them for five years now. Britney’s been with them 3 years, and she’s their golden child. I’m not jealous of her success because I could care less about that. I care about the music. And this isn’t my music,” Ana continued pushing her French toast around her plate. 

“Because honestly, if you put us side-by-side, it’s hard to tell who is more successful. I cater to a different audience but we sell the same. We both bring in ridiculous revenue. So, why can’t I have choice?” Ana questioned him. Her eyes demonstrated a sadness that JC hadn’t thought she was capable of demonstrating. 

“I understand, trust me. This is the whole reason we came to Jive. We were given creative freedom that we hadn’t been given before. When are you up for renewing?” JC asked taking a sip of orange juice. 

“My five years were up last month. I fulfilled all stipulations, too. So, really, I’m free to walk if I want to,” Ana answered. She’d begun to chew on her bottom lip as a sign of nervousness. 

“Do you have other labels in mind?” JC questioned. 

“It’s not definite, but Columbia Records is looking like the one.”

“So, you’ve been thinking about this for a while, huh?” JC questioned. 

“Yeah, since I finished this last album. Jive knows this already, and they know I have a Spanish album ready to be released. I have to renew with Jive to release or I need to sign with Columbia to release.  My performance next week is the first single.”

“Well, if it helps, my only advice is to choose based on the music,” JC replied as he placed a comforting hand over her knee. 

“You’re right. Thank you,” Ana smiled in reply before picking up her phone, and sending Johnny a message. It simply read: 

We’re going with Columbia. Make it happen. 

“I guess that’s the end of our label mate days,” JC smirked as she sent the message. 

“Yes, now we won’t have to work too hard to keep us quiet,” Ana replied before leaning over and kissing his cheek. 

“I have yet to take you on a proper date,” JC commented as he kept her close to him, face-to-face. 

“I’m not all that needy,” she shrugged. 

“Ah yes, but you’re deserving. We’re both in LA next week, so we’ll figure something out then,” JC said as he ran a hand down the side of her face. 

“Alright, but just know that I don’t need a date to be with you,” Ana replied leaning slightly into his touch. 

“Yes, I know this. Now, come on, you need to get your stuff together to head out. And I need to head back to my room before Lance wakes up,” JC sighed as he stood and pulled her up. He helped her bring her luggage out to the hall before stepping back into her room to say his farewell. 

“Take care of yourself and know that I’m very proud of you. What you’re doing for those girls is amazing,” JC said as he hugged her close to him. He was leaned against the wall next to her door and she was leaned against him. 

“I know. Thank you. That means a lot to me,” Ana smiled up at him and wrapped her arms around his waist. 

“I’ll see you in about a week in LA. Let me know when you land,” he tucked a lose curl behind her ear before running his thumb over the shell of her ear. 

“I will. I’ll talk to you tonight as well,” Ana replied leaning up to wrap her arms around his neck and kissing his cheek. They had yet to share a first kiss, and that was alright with her. He hugged her tightly before pulling away and walking to the door. Smiling back at her, he stepped out into the hallway and up a couple of floors to his hotel room.

----

Song Credit:

"Automatic" -- TLC 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Review! Review! Review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers interracial missionary girlontop love firsttime nsasync tour boyfriendjc celebritysync tourjc