July 27, 2000 – New York City 

Stepping out into the hallway, Ana locked up her condo and set the alarm before climbing down the stairs to the lobby and into the awaiting car. It was roughly 7am in New York City, and she was headed to the first interview of the day. The Challenge for the Children event was in a couple of days, and Ana had volunteered to do massive promotion in addition to Nsync’s promotion. She was already scheduled to do film promotion, so Johnny had liked the idea of adding star power to the 2nd year event. 

Watching the sea of people invading the sidewalks, Ana thought about everything that’d happened in the last 2 months. Since their meeting in Atlanta, Ana and the guys had become fast friends. After finishing her tour last month, she’d pop up in on their tour a couple of times. It felt good to find friends in this industry, and these guys were just amazing. At least one of them checked in on her every day. Suddenly, she’d gained five brothers.

She’d wrapped up her tour last month, and was already writing for her next album. She’d collaborated with Christina Aguilera, Pink, Lil Kim, and Missy Elliot for “Lady Marmalade” and had filmed the video for the song. Photoshoot after photoshoot, interview after interview, show after show, autograph after autograph, and rumor after rumor had controlled her life for the past two months. Now, she was finally on break for two months. In October, her first film would be released. Training Day with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke; it wasn’t a huge role but she had to start somewhere, right? 

“Ana, we’re here,” her bodyguard, Wolf broke through her thoughts as the car came to a curbside stop. 

“What’s the schedule look like again?” Ana asked as she waited for the security clearance. 

“GMA interview, Regis, View and then we head over to a couple of radio stations before finishing up with TRL,” Lacy, her assistant, reminded her as they stepped out of the car and into a sea of flashing bulbs. Thankfully, Ana had already adjusted her sunglasses; she walked with her head held high and a bright smile upon her face. Looking past the photographers, Ana saw a small group of fans trying to push their way through; a group no bigger than ten. 

“Lacy, let me sign for them really quick. Just give me five minutes,” Ana spoke into Lacy’s ear before allowing security to make room for the group of fans to push through. Smiling brightly, Ana greeted crying faces, shook shaky hands, signed album covers, and posed for memorable pictures. Allowing her security to pull her into the building, Ana waved one last time before focusing back on the task at hand. 

“Make-up really quick and then you’ll be set,” Lacy explained as Ana sat in the chair in front of the mirror. The make-up fussed over her make-up for about twenty minutes before leaving them to sit and wait. Adjusting her chocolate-brown tresses, Ana gave herself a once over before stepping out to follow the stagehand. 

The stagehand attached the microphone to her white flower-printed strapless summer dress; she finished the look with nude colored stiletto sandals. In a blur, the morning interviews were over. Before she knew it, she was eating lunch in the TRL greenroom waiting for the show to begin. 

Training Day? Really? Denzel? Damn girl, y didn’t we know this? 

Her phone beeped and upon checking, Justin’s text glared at her. 

Ana: you guys never asked

Justin: whats the role about?

Ana: Denzel’s my sugah daddy & I’m his baby mama! ;p

Justin: well, look at ya, who knew you had it in ya?

Ana: not so innocent now, huh?

Justin: we knew that after Marmalade but now we know just how much

Ana: oh whatever…I’m more innocent than ya girl

Justin: I won’t argue that – wink, wink

Ana: perv – where r u guys now?

Justin: :-O NYC – soundcheck. U?

Ana: NYC – TRL. Gotta talk about y’all like I like y’all or something

Justin: don’t deny us. We all know u love us & u’re in love with JC

Ana: u found me out; gotta run now, but I’ll see ya tonight 

 

#### 

 

“Ana’s on TRL today,” Justin announced as he walked into the dressing room backstage at Madison Square Garden. 

“Dude, it’s on now, turn it on,” Joey replied from the couch. Lance switched on the television set just as Carson Daly began to talk about the next guest. 

“And on today’s show, we have one of the hottest pop singers on the scene today. She just wrapped up her Fear of Flying world tour this past month – a tour that took her to six continents in the span of 8 months. She stars in the new Denzel Washington movie coming out this fall. She dances, sings, writes, produces, acts, and she looks fantastic all the while. Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for Ana Mora!” Carson announced as the crowd went into hysterics. Ana walked out in her summer dress and nude heels, smiling and shaking hands while making her way to Carson. 

“Nice to see you again!” Carson greeted her as she hugged and kissed his cheek. 

“It’s so nice to be back! I’ve been all out of the loop for a while now, so it feels good to get back and visit you guys again,” Ana spoke into her microphone while she walked over to the windows overlooking Times Square. There was a fairly large crowd of fans outside – jumping and screaming for her. She smiled and waved before turning back to the in-house audience. 

“So, tell us, what’s new with you? I mean besides getting prettier and prettier,” Carson flirted with her. 

“Oh, Carson, you’re such a charmer! Well, you’ve summed up my life pretty much. Last month, I finished my world tour. Currently, I’m in the city working on some side projects and writing. Hopefully, I’ll be back in the studio in September for a summer release next year. Training Day comes out in October, I believe. This weekend I’m taking part in this event called Challenge for the Children here in the city, so everyone needs to come out and support the event,” Ana smiled at Carson. 

“This event, what exactly is it?” Carson questioned. 

“It’s a charity celebrity basketball game. All proceeds from the event go towards a variety of children charities from around the country,” Ana explained as details of the event began to scroll across the screen. 

“Now, tell everyone who organizes this event,” Carson prompted her with a sly smile. Ana chuckled before looking at the audience. 

“You guys may or may not have heard of this tiny no-name group of guys that like to pretend to sing and dance. I think they go by N*Suck, right?” Ana kidded as Carson and the audience laughed. 

“I think you mean, Nsync,” Carson laughed. Ana pretended to catch her error and look mockingly remorseful. 

“Oh gosh, yeah, that’s who I meant,” Ana chuckled as her joke got the best of her.

“No, I’m kidding. I love those guys, and I was too excited to join them this weekend. They’re actually playing a couple shows at Madison Square Garden, and I believe they film HBO tonight.”

“Wow, you’re like their very own promoter, huh? Let’s get to the next video and when we come back, we’ll get the details on how Ana became involved in this Nsync event,” Carson introduced the next video and they cut to commercial afterwards. 

“And we’re back! Here in the studio with us today we have the hottest popstar on the scene, Ana Mora!” Carson announced as the show came back from commercial. Ana simply smiled and waved to the camera. 

“Before we went to commercial, you were talking about the charity event that the boys from Nsync have organized. It’s called Challenge for the Children, and it’ll be this weekend here in the City. Now, I have a question, well, an observation if you like, about these guys. They are linked to the hottest women on earth. Justin and JC were on the Mickey Mouse Club as kids with Britney and Christina. And now, they have you here promoting their event and you’ve been seen checking out several of their shows across the country. How did you guys meet? And is there any truth that you are currently dating JC?” Carson was quick and to the point. 

“Oh wow, really, that’s a rumor? I hadn’t heard about that one. I think my PR is lagging,” Ana chuckled as she thought about the rumor. “No, I’m sorry to disappoint, but I am not dating JC. I actually met the guys for the first time back in May. We were staying at the same hotel – they’d just played and I was playing the following night. I was totally making too much noise because I was writing in my hotel room and they came over to complain about the noise. We share management, so we knew of each other. That night, we chatted, Justin and JC helped me write a song, and the next day I joined them in playing basketball. Now, I’m gonna add to the fire here, but I don’t know if you guys know this, but Justin is a sport fanatic. I didn’t know this until I was playing basketball with him. He’s really competitive and he hates to lose. JC, Joey, and I were on a team against Justin, Chris, and Lance, and, I have to boast about this. We totally beat them, and Justin maintains that he went easy on me. But, world, he totally got beat by a girl. And this weekend, he’s going down, again” Ana smirked as the audience cheered and Carson laughed. She knew that Justin would be watching (or would watch later), so she wanted to rub it in his face one last time. 

“Oh, those are fighting words!” Carson laughed before introducing the next two videos. 

“And we’re back here with Ana Mora, and she’s telling us about her on-going basketball battle with Justin Timberlake from Nsync. Surprisingly, we have him on the phone line right now. I guess he’s watching and decided to call us in. Justin, you there?” Carson spoke before Justin’s voice rang in the studio. The crowd went crazy before they could continue the conversation. 

“Hey Carson, how’s it going? Hey squirt!” Justin greeted them; Ana smirked before returning the greeting. 

“So, Justin, is it true what Ana is here telling us? Did her team really beat your team?” Carson prodded. 

“We went easy on her. We didn’t want to make her cry or anything like that, so we let her have the game,” Justin kidded as Ana scoffed and rolled her eyes. 

“That’s why I was dribbling circles around Chris’s head, right? Justin, pumpkin, just face it. You lost,” Ana retorted as the audience ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’. 

“Squirt, we’re gonna settle this on the court this weekend. One-on-one. Your team against my team,” Justin challenged. 

“You’re on, superstar. We’ll have documented proof this time around,” Ana accepted his challenged and smiled as he heard his distinct chuckle. 

“Well, there you have it. This weekend, it’ll be the clash of the superstars. Justin Timberlake versus Ana Mora in a one-on-one basketball game,” Carson concluded as Justin got off the phone. 

“It’s all for the kids, Carson,” Ana reminded him with a large smile upon her face, “And some selfish personal self-gratifying reasons.” The audience laughed along with Carson and the interview continued through one last commercial break. 

“Wow, she totally just challenged you on national television,” Lance said in awe as Justin wrapped up the phone call and the show cut to commercial. 

“Yep, and it’s on,” Justin smirked. 

“Dude, she challenged you while wearing a dress and heels,” Chris reminded him. The other guys nodded as if truly contemplating her boldness. “She’s got balls.” 

“Forget about that. Where did this rumor that we’re dating come from?” JC grumbled from the opposite end of the couch. 

“Does it matter? I wouldn’t mind being linked to that honey,” Joey let out a low whistle while rubbing his hands together. 

“I don’t care, Joey. I don’t need any more shit on my plate right now. Bobbie already thinks I cheat on her,” JC argued back. The other four guys rolled their eyes before standing to leave to do sound-check. 

“The best thing that could happen to you is for someone who already has a career and doesn’t need a stepping stone like Ana to be with you. The best thing that you could do is let Bobbie go, once and for all,” Chris snarled as he passed JC by. All the guys were tired of seeing Bobbie walk all over JC, and he allowing it. 

#### 

“Mama, this is Ana Mora. Ana, this is my mama, Lynn,” Justin introduced the two women as they all packed into the Planet Hollywood restaurant after their concert and earlier press conference. Last night’s concert had been televised by HBO and it had gone without a hitch. And tonight, they had played their last MSG concert. The charity basketball game was tomorrow, and everyone was psyched. 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, ma’am. You’re all that Justin talks about,” Ana hugged her closely and kissed her cheek. 

“Oh honey, the pleasure’s all mine. Any person that can put my baby is his place is great in my book. But, look at you, you’re gorgeous!” Lynn exclaimed as she held Ana at arm’s length and looked her up-and-down. Her white jeans sat low on her hips and hugged her every curve and her navy blue off-the-shoulder shirt stopped just below her bellybutton and exposed her stomach. Gold stiletto sandals, gold jewelry, and loose curls finished her casual chic look. 

“Oh, stop it,” Ana replied as a blush rose to her cheeks. 

“No really, you’re just gorgeous. Most of the time beauty on TV is all make-up, but you are just gorgeous. Isn’t she Justin?” Lynn looked over to Justin. Ana mock-glared at him daring him to agree with his mother. 

“Oh definitely, if Britney wasn’t in my life, Ana would be in serious trouble,” Justin kidded with a sly wink of the eye. Ana narrowed her eyes at his sarcasm and discreetly flipped him off. 

“But, what is this that I hear Ana is with JC? Is that right? I sure do hope so. It’s about time he opened his eyes and let go of deadweight,” Lynn sighed as she linked arms with Ana and walked further into the restaurant. 

“Oh no, Lynn, there is nothing going on between JC and me. It’s a lame rumor,” Ana stressed as they neared the table where all the boys and their guests were seated. The conversation was dropped and as the table-round conversation picked up. Food was served and the chatter never ceased. 

“What wrong with JC?” Ana whispered to Justin as she noticed JC’s quiet demeanor from across the table. He only spoke when spoken to, and normally, he’d be shoveling food into his mouth. Now, he pushed around his food and occasionally placed the quickly-cooling food into his mouth. 

“He broke up with Bobbie about 3 weeks ago, and today, she called to blame him for everything,” Justin explained in a quiet voice. He didn’t want JC jumping down his throat for letting Ana know what was happening. 

“What a bitch! Explanation?” Ana questioned as they continued to eat and lean towards each other to chat. 

“His career was holding back her career,” Justin snarled. Ana’s head snapped up in shock. 

“Are you kidding me? The only reason she’s where she is because she’s linked to him!” Ana hissed. Anger raced through her veins. She’d never liked Bobbie, whom she’d met on several occasions while interviewing at J-14. But, now, she could really hate her for putting JC through this. In the two months that she’d known him, she’d seen how madly (and blindly) in love he was with her; he’d jump through flaming hoops if necessary for her. 

“We agree with you, but he’s broken. We don’t know what to do with him,” Justin explained as he finished up his food. 

“Are we going out tonight?” Ana questioned and received a nod in response. “Great. I’ll cheer him up.” Justin looked at her for some type of explanation, but he received only a smile. Pretty soon the conversation turned to the charity event the following day; insults began to fly and challenges were issued between the two teams. Apparently, Justin and Ana were on opposing teams. Justin was the captain of the Daze and JC was the captain of the Knights. 

“Are you sure you want to put me on the opposing team, J? Because I won’t hesitate to polish the courts with your behind,” Ana challenged as the other guys chuckled. 

“Are you kidding me? I’ll be dusting the courts with that mane you got there,” Justin smirked as he flicked some of her curls away from her face. The rest of the dinner party just looked on at the playful exchange. 

“Whatever, Timberlake, I may just go easy on you in front of all your fans,” Ana replied as she drank some water. 

“Just remember we got the one-on-one to settle. And if by easy, you mean attempt to dribble, then please, by all means go easy on me,” Justin said. 

“Before this continues all night, let’s head out. I got too much energy to burn off,” Joey commented from down the table just as Ana opened her mouth to reply. Snapping her mouth shut, she turned her head towards Joey and agreed. 

“Yeah, let’s go paint the town red,” Ana cheered as all participating parties stood to leave. Only the parents and some band members stayed sitting down; they were going to let the young ones go out and have fun. Seeing Chris practically drag JC towards the waiting cars outside, Ana took it upon herself to catch up to them. 

“Save me a dance, popstar?” Ana questioned as she passed by them. Turning to walk backwards, she grinned at a bewildered JC. 

“You sure you’ll be left alone long enough to dance with us?” JC retorted while eyeing her outfit. 

“Well, that I’m not sure of, but since I’m only asking for a dance with you, then I think I can fit you in,” Ana smirked as JC’s eyes widen and Chris snorted. Ana maintained direct eye-contact with JC as the group crowded around the front door. There was a rowdy crowd of fans and photographers outside, which made security extra cautious. 

“Yeah, I think I can save you one. But, just one, I don’t want to make you look too bad,” JC kidded and caught Ana a bit off guard. 

“I’ll go easy on you, Josh. I won’t make you look too bad. Just control yourself, alright,” Ana said with a wink before allowing Wolf to pull her through the crowd and into the last seat of the blacked out SUV. Watching the rest of the group divide into two SUVs, Ana smiled to herself as she mentally prepared herself for a club night.

Chapter End Notes:
Feedback! Please!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers interracial missionary girlontop love firsttime nsasync tour boyfriendjc celebritysync tourjc