Author's Chapter Notes:

So, I'm a slacker! I promise to do better than this update-once-a-month routine that I've had going on. I will do better!

And...THANK YOU TO EVERY SINGLE READER THAT NOMINATED ME FOR THE NF AWARDS!

stories/1567/images/200x60-2.jpg

It is such a risk that we all take putting ourselves out there. We always ask for reviews, criticism (positive or negative) because we want to be better than our previous self. But, it is such a vulnerability. And, to be recognized by your peers is truly humbling. Thank you.

September 5, 2001 

“Shut up Chris…you breathe like a damn warthog,” Justin hissed under his breath, elbowing his accomplice beside him. There was a grunt in response to the elbow in the gut, and a few chuckles from the rest of the peanut gallery. 

“When I was a…oof” Joey’s Lion King tribute was cut short by a sharp blow to the back of the head. “Don’t even think about it, Joe!” 

“Geez guys, lighten up on the abuse,” Britney’s meek voice calmed them all as they approached the heavy wooden doors leading to the rehearsal studio at the end of the hallway. Armed with a video camera, the group was planning on crashing Ana’s dance rehearsal and taking her hostage to a late lunch. Each artist had been in rehearsals all morning for either the VMAs or Michael Jackson’s tribute concert. They’d earned a small break. 

The vibrations of the music blaming through the speakers could be felt out in the hallways. The treble and the bass resonated stronger the closer they came to the entrance, and each of them looked at one another as the music became recognizable. A small smile forming on their faces; her set was going to be insane. 

Quietly, they stepped into the expansive studio with shining wooden floors and floor-to-ceiling mirrors. They’d entered from the back corner of the studio, so they watched her from behind as she followed closely Wade, he ran through the steps at a slow count. This was her first time working with Wade, and she’d only found it fitting to bring him to choreograph a Michael Jackson piece. The look of concentration on her face mended their hearts – she was back. 

Johnny had expressed his concerns with Ana taking the stage, and not delivering. Aaliyah’s death had taken its toll on her, and they all felt a sense of uselessness. They didn’t know how to help her besides being there for her. She needed to break down, so she could rebuild. But, she wouldn’t budge. Her dinner the night before with Aaliyah’s family had been put back pieces of heart she hadn’t know she’d lost. And, yes, she still cried in the shower and she changed the radio stations whenever Aaliyah’s songs played. Life continued, and hers was no different. Seeing a shadow of her old-self settled everyone’s fears.

“Run through it from the beginning, don’t stop! We’ll fix errors at the end. I just need to see it through. Ana…” Wade voice echoed over the music as it began to fade out. She’d been laughing hysterically at something one of the dancers had said behind her, but she’d stopped when Wade called her name. “Sing with the track, test out the vocals with the breathing.”

“She looks good,” Britney commented, standing next to JC, who stood feet shoulder-width apart and arms cross at the chest. There were maybe six or eight dancers behind her as she stood in her favorite pair of grey cotton sweats and black tank. Her shirt was tied up in the center, stomach muscles glistening with sweat and clenching with strain as she breathed hard. She never looks bad.            

“She’s been doing better, I think performing will help her a lot,” he replied, never taking his eyes away from her. Her eyes had caught sight of them, and she’d missed her entrance, so Wade restarted the song and glared at them. One-by-one they raised their hands in a show of innocence, Wade smiling in return. 

Last night, JC had accompanied her to dinner with Aaliyah’s family. Despite her dread, JC knew that it had been not only therapeutic but healing for her. The night had started a bit awkward, no one knowing how to approach the subject. Until finally, Miss Diane had had enough and in the middle of serving her casserole, she slammed the spoon on the glass oven plate and demanded everyone to relax.            

“Aaliyah’s dead, there. That’s the huge elephant in the room. Let’s have a good dinner, and we’ll talk later,” she said, looking at Ana pointedly. Ana casted her eyes downward from being scolded, and she took a deep breath. She felt JC’s hand squeeze her knee, and turning to look at him, she felt relief to know that he was there beside her.            

“Could you serve us already?” she felt her lips twitch as she mouthed off to Miss Diane in mock-attitude, the wonderful aroma of the green bean casserole circling her senses. Seeing Miss Diane’s smile in response, Ana felt the night’s stress melt off her shoulders. 

“I’m gonna go film from the front,” Joey announced, slinking his way along the wall towards the front of the studio. They all followed, wanting to see her perform face-to-face. The funky beat pulsed in their ears, the treble bouncing in their chests. She was singing now, dancing fluidly with the dancers. It always amazed them how natural and talented she was on the dance floor. She was fearless when it came to new choreography or to the introduction to a new style. 

Normally, her dance routines were a bit gritty and street-influenced. Her music was more R&B than pop, and so her dance reflected her music. But, with her cover of a Michael Jackson song, Wade’s choreography was more masculine – smoother and more suave than she was used to. And, her hard work was paying off – she was killing it. 

The look of sheer determination on her face as she made the song her very own and didn’t half-ass the run-through was captivating. Everyone was wrapped up in her voice and her movements. The pulsing of her body as the hook and chorus crept up, the disco beats taking over her hips. Her quick footwork and intoxicating hip thrusts were mesmerizing. She was going to rule the night of Michael Jackson covers. Her number would outshine everyone else. Her voice was strong, and it fit the music perfectly. The rasp and grit that made it her signature were there, as was the eccentric Jackson funk. This performance was going to bring the Garden down. There would be a party on the stage, on the floor, and in the rafts. 

“Hey…what’s up?” Wade walked over to them, greeting them all without taking his eyes off of the routine. He was beyond satisfied with the choreography; of course, there were a few mistakes here and there, spots to tighten up, and to polish it all. But, overall, he was satisfied. 

“Hey yourself, man. How are you?” Justin greeted him, the two sharing some handshake before letting each other go. 

“Doing good, man. How are things going over with Lisa?” Wade asked, knowing the guys were probably giving his assistant hell. Their choreography had pretty much stayed the same for their VMA performance except for a few new transitions and one brief new remix section. He’d ran through it with them the day before, and had left Lisa to tighten up some spot with them today. The show was tomorrow night, and they only had one last rehearsal after today to work on the routine. 

“You probably already know, so why ask?” Lance quipped, a devilish smile on his face; they’d given her hell. They all laughed, watching as Ana neared the end of the song. “You outdone yourself, Wade.” 

“Nah man, it’s all her. She’s a god, there ain’t nothing I can throw at her that trips her up. She’s fearless,” there was a whimsical tone to his response as the music came to an end, and Ana dropped to the ground. 

“Should I be jealous, Wade?” Britney kidded from a little further down the line. She was posted against the mirror, arms crossed, concentrating on Ana’s footwork. She was great. 

“Nah, chill out, B. You’ll always be my favorite dancer, B,” he flashed his megawatt smile, and she smiled in return. 

“Cool it, Wade,” Justin playfully warned, but the guys sensed it truly meant it. Several times in the past he’d expressed his dislike of the playfulness in Wade and Britney’s working relationship. And knowing Wade would be traveling in her upcoming world tour did nothing to settle Justin’s uneasiness. 

“Damn girlie, you’re gonna kill me young,” Joey joked, breaking the tension that had consumed the sidelined group. With the camera in one hand and pointed at Ana, he walked towards her, hooting, hollering, and praising her performance. Ana laughed and shooed him away as he reached down to her. The camera poised in front of her sweat-drenched face, and she struggled to cover up. He ignored her flailing hands, instead wrapping his arm around her and easily lifting her to her feet. 

“You’re such an oaf, Joe,” she laughed as her weary feet made contact with the floor once again. Joey shrugged and laughed off her insult, knowing she meant it with love. “’Sup guys?” she greeted, Joey’s arm wrapped around her shoulders and guiding her towards the group. They were all mockingly bowing down to her, praising her and clapping for her. “Oh shut it.” 

“That was great, girl!” Chris exclaimed, taking a step forward and wrapping her up in a huge hug. Holding onto his shoulders, Ana laughed before urging him to put him down. Surprise visits from these guys always put her in a good mood. She locked eyes with JC, and he beckoned her to his side. Smiling, she sidestepped Chris and crossed in front of Wade and Lance to get to his side. His arms reached out for her, and he pulled her in by the waist. 

JC’s mouth descended on her before she could greet him. Her body pulled flushed against his body. One arm wrapped around her bare midriff and hand resting on her right hip, and the other wrapped around her shoulders, hand resting on her left shoulders. There was a brief moment of silence from the group as they all processed what was going on, and then the conversation around them continued. Yet, it was like they were underwater. Everything around them was muffled except for the increasing beat of their hearts in their ears. Relaxing against his body, Ana felt warmth envelop her body from the floor up. The softness of his lips wiped her brain clean. The strong, yet gentle grip of his hands on her body shrugged off her stress and fatigue. Her hands came alive, reaching up and clenching his shirt material at his sides. Her fingernails began to lightly dig into his sides. 

A deep, almost guttural moan escaped her throat as she felt his tongue trace the inner edge of her bottom lip. She responded by deepening the kiss, passionately and rapaciously. His hand left her shoulder and dove into her hair, his fingers tugging at it. His grip tilted her head to the side, allowing him further access to her.            

“Ok, ok…we get it! You’re smoking. He’s sizzling. And together, you are sexing up in public!” Chris exclaimed, pulling them apart with a hand on each of their chests.            

“And you’re touching my girlfriend’s breasts…” JC breathed, his chest heaving from the lack of oxygen to his lungs. The raised eyebrow and playful stern look on his face ignited the blush that crept up Chris’s face. Chris turned his head slowly and looked down to where his hand lain. Sure enough, it cradled Ana’s breast.            

“My bad…” he laughed nervously, pulling back his hand and avoiding the look on Ana’s face as the group dissolved into a fit of giggles. Things like this always happened to Chris, it was standard procedure.            

“It’s been too long…” her chest rose and fell rapidly as she fought to catch her breath. Chris smiled, JC scoffed, and the guys hollered.            

“Come on, Juliet, let’s leave these Romeos here. I’m starving,” Britney smirked, regaining some composure and making her way to Ana’s side. Wrapping an arm around her waist, the blonde superstar led the brunette superstar away from the giggling and teasing crowd of boys. Ana laughed, looking back to make sure the guys followed.            

“Wait! What are we eating?” Justin hollered, his stomach growling. The entire group was walking back down the hallway towards the elevator, the girls wrapped up in their chitchat. Britney and Ana looked at one another, contemplating what to eat before they both smiled.            

“PIZZA!” they exclaimed, already savoring the large slices of cheese, pepperoni and mushroom gooey goodness. In the short time they’d known one another, they’d spent many nights gossiping and pigging out with boxes of pizza and soda. It sounded empty-headed to say, but they had images to maintain. Their bodies had to be tight, toned, and taut. And so, their diets were strict. But, with each other, they allowed themselves to break all rules. Of course, they always ended up at a gym burning off all the calories. But, to them, those were moments they wouldn’t give up. Truthfully, they’d both become best friends.            

“Y’all plus pizza equals gossip,” Justin groaned, stepping into the elevator. The girls were dwarfed by the six guys and two bodyguards that joined them on the elevator cart. Pushed to the very back of the elevator, they only giggled in response. 

####            

“Watch your toe on that turn, Ana,” Britney pointed out from her position on the floor, sitting up against the mirrors. After lunch, Britney had hung around Ana’s rehearsal to discuss costume sketches and props with Wade for her VMA performance. It would be elaborate, and she still had not seen the actual stage. Tomorrow morning, she’d spend all morning running through the performance on stage before the show. Ana wouldn’t rehearse Wade until after the awards show. He needed time to focus on the guys and Britney, and Ana was all too happy to relax for a day.            

“I keep catching myself there, and I eff it all up,” Ana groaned, throwing her fists in the arm and stomping a few times for good measure. The dancers behind her sighed as the music was stopped and restarted. It was nearing the end of the seventh hour of rehearsal, everyone was tired and simple mistakes made them cranky.            

“One last time, and we call it a day. We’ll fine tune in a couple of days,” Wade announced, clapping out the beat as they began to dance.  

Sweat dripped from her forehead onto the wood floors with every twist and turn. Britney bobbed her head with the beat, eyes closely watching Ana’s dancing form. When Ana performed, she had everyone in a trance. From the roll of her body to her hair flying in her face, she made every person feel like they were watching a private performance. She always made eye contact with someone in the audience, and they became her focal point – her muse. Like in this moment, Britney was the lucky one. Golden eyes held chocolate eyes. Every movement was intentional. The placement of her hands, the jerk of her hips, the twist of her legs, and the clench of her abs, she had it all down.            

“Watch your toe, watch it, watch it…yes! That’s it!” Britney exclaimed, excitedly clapping for her. For the last hour, she’d watched Ana struggle with that one step that seemed to throw the rest of the routine for her. There was a smile on Ana’s face as she conquered that bump and moved on.            

“Good work everyone. I will see y’all in three days, be prepared!” Wade announced, patting Ana on the back as she hunched over gasping for air. The routine was intense and she wasn’t used to the vocals yet, but she had time to work on it. Smiling, she straightened up and side-hugged him before moving over to her stuff and dropping to the floor. Stretching out her legs and arms, she felt her body begin to relax. Waving and smiling, she watched her dancers exit the room.            

“Lordy, I’m tired,” she laughed to herself, realizing she’d spoken aloud to no one. Wade and Britney were off in a corner hunched over strewn papers on a wobbly folding table. Their conversation was hushed, but the occasional laugh could be heard. Shaking her head, Ana gathered her towel, cell phone, and bottle of water. Her afternoon plans consisted of a hot shower, a nice dinner, and maybe a movie. She hadn’t done that in a while, go to the movies. 

Life had been nonstop for some time now, full of ups and downs. It never let up. Like a rollercoaster that never came to a stop, she wanted off. Last night had been a reminder of the repercussions of getting caught up in life. She’d spent a wonderful evening with her boyfriend, and her best friend’s family. They’d watched home videos, and shared stories all night. From the grief she’d felt only the morning before, joy and totality had been birthed.            

“Don’t you go hiding on us, child! We will find you,” Miss Diane said as they stood in the foyer of her Brooklyn home. JC stood behind them saying goodbye to Rashad and Jared, Aaliyah’s cousin. And wrapped in her warm embrace, Ana was close to tears as their night came to an end. Turning back to the guys behind them, Miss Diane asked them to leave her and Ana alone. So, Rashad and Jared walked JC out the front door without question.            

“Ana, sweetie, the pain isn’t going away today, tomorrow, or next week, and you need to accept that. As cruel and cold as this sounds, the world doesn’t stop because we hurt. The world is full of suffering, day in and day out. But, it is also full of people overcoming it,” Miss Diane’s hands firmly gripped Ana’s shoulders, forcing the young woman to keep her attention on the older woman’s face and words.            

“Aaliyah always called you her miracle worker,” Ana smiled, recognizing those words of strength and fortitude.            

“Yes, well, Aaliyah was always a smarty pants too,” Miss Diane chuckled, a brief somber look crossed her face, “And, we will both come to learn that love heals everything, honey. And love is all there is. Love from your family, from your friends, and even from a stranger. Love is love, in whatever shape or form. Don’t shut us out, sweetie. Let us heal each other.” 

With tears in her eyes and knots in her throat, Ana nodded as the weight of Miss Diane’s words settled on her heart. Hugging her tightly, she followed suit and stepped out of the home. Never once did JC question her what Miss Diane had said to her, instead he’d wrapped his arms around her and hailed a cab home. 

Smiling, she came to a conclusion. She was going to be selfish. She was going to bask in the love that she missed the most. Tonight, she would talk to JC about that vacation he’d mentioned a few weeks ago. She needed one. He needed one. They deserved one. Where to go? 

Where hadn’t they been to?            

“Snap out of it, Sleeping Beauty,” Wolf’s deep voice jostled her thoughts. She’d walked out of the studio, into the elevator and rode it up to the building’s lobby. Turning to see him follow her out of the elevator, Ana slowed her pace and let him catch up to her. Instinctively, she cuddled up to his side as his large arm wrapped around her. She was always safe and secure beside him.            

“Sorry I didn’t see you there, Wolf,” she genuinely smiled, and his heart warmed. The past couple of weeks he had worried that she was lost in a place so far away and so dark. He’d feared that no one could reach her. He was right. It’d been her return to music, albeit begrudgingly, that had shined the light for her safe return.            

“It’s quite alright, Tiger, where are we heading?” he replied, looking down at her youthful face. He watched her nose scrunch up in response to the nickname. He wasn’t all that much older than her, about ten years, but to him, she was his daughter. And it was his duty to protect her from all.            

“You know only Justin gets away with calling me that…” she playfully warned, softly clicking her tongue at him. Ruffling her hair in response, he followed her across the expansive lobby and towards the exit. “Let’s go home, Wolf.” 

####

“I got rhythm, I got music, I got my girl, who could ask for anything more?” JC softly sung as they walked down Broadway, their hands intertwined, arms swinging and heels tapping. There was a slight chill in the late summer night breeze, and it caused chill bumps on Ana’s exposed shoulders.            

“I got daisies in green pastures, I got my man, who could ask for anything more?” she sung in response, a little louder than JC. She turned her head up to watch his profile, and she caught him looking down at her, a smile on his face. A mischievous sparkle in his eyes, and she knew he was up to no good.           

“Days can be sunny, with never a sigh. Don’t need what money can buy,” he stumbled through the classic lyrics, causing Ana to giggle at his antics. She was sure that if he had a top hat and cane at his disposal, he might give Gene Kelly a run for his money.            

“Birds in the tree sing their dayful of song, why shouldn’t we sing along?” she let go of his hand, twirling and skipping a little bit ahead of him. There was a freeing sentiment she’d felt all night with him. Earlier in the evening, she’d gotten home, showered, and planned to cook something easy before waiting for JC to get home. Instead, he had sat waiting for her outside of the bathroom, showered and dressed.            

“Better get dressed, we’re going out. Just you and me,” he announced, kissing her lips before leaving her to get dressed. Smiling, she’d dressed casually and hurriedly.

Through this all, he’d been the most she could have asked for. He knew what she needed before she knew herself. He’d bring tubs of ice cream and chocolate to her, and he’d stuff his face with her in silence. He never pushed her to open up or to talk. Instead, he held her hand, gave her comfort, and gave her time. 

And here they were, it was nearing midnight and they were walking aimlessly down Broadway singing to one another. It was like a scene out of a movie. Boy and girl, walking home from a movie date, holding hands, blushing under the twilight, and hearts bursting with love.            

“I’m chipper all the day, happy and yet hot. How do I get that way? Look at what I’ve got,” he sang, adding a skip to his step and Ana dissolved in laughter. She stopped their stroll, one hand resting on her hip and the other covering her face. Her laughter’s volume slowly increased with the shake of her shoulders. “Why are you laughing?” 

JC was confused, and felt left out. He wanted to laugh too.            

“It’s not ‘happy and yet hot!’ He sings ‘happy with my lot,’” she managed through her giggles, and JC felt his face begin to warm up. Okay, so maybe he no longer wanted to laugh along with her. She was laughing at him. Wrapping his arm around her shoulders, he pulled her along to continue their stroll.            

“Yeah, yeah, I flub the lyrics, and you laugh. You mistaken the actor, and I sympathize,” JC playfully pouted, pulling her closer to him. She tried to calm her giggles as she wrapped her arms around his waist, snuggling into his warmth. Shaking his head, he knew that he couldn’t pretend to be upset. He kissed her forehead once, twice.            

“I still can’t believe you found that movie,” she spoke after a few moments of silence between them. After getting ready earlier this evening, they’d taken a cab to McSorley’s on 7th Street and after a quick dinner, JC had led the way back to Broadway and Mercer. Ana had complained the entire way that she wasn’t dressed for a Broadway show, and JC ignored her completely.            

“Sometimes you’ve got to hush up and trust me,” he’d joked, but she knew when he truly meant it. So, she silenced her complaints. And, she was pleasantly surprised when he stopped at the corner and turned her around. Before them, the letters over the arched doorway spelled, Angelika Film Center. She’d been confused until JC pointed to the movie poster hanging by the door, An American in Paris. 

Maybe her choice of jean shorts, off-the-shoulder yellow blouse, and sandals wasn’t the best choice for such a sophisticated atmosphere like the Angelika Film Center, she didn’t care. Her excitement from the gesture, from seeing the movie, and from feeling like herself again overshadowed any petty worry. They’d sat in the small café outside of the theatre doors waiting for the showing to begin, a smile ever-present on her face. Her hand in his the entire time.            

“I saw the flyer over at the studio, and I remember Justin teasing you for never seeing a ‘classic’ Hollywood film. But, now you have,” JC shrugged, burying his free hand in his jean’s pocket. When working, he could become so self-engrossed that he often overlooked anyone else’s needs. Thus, on nights like tonight, every gesture warmed her heart, and she fell in love with him – over and over again.            

“You’re a sweet man, Josh,” she whispered, tugging his hand and stopping in the middle of the empty sidewalk. He turned, his ocean blues beaming down at her golden rays of sunlight, to face her, questioning her. She smiled, knowing that her randomness always threw him for a loop. She brought their hands up to her lips, softly kissing them, her thumbs rubbing away the faint lip gloss marks on the top of his hands. His eyes followed her every move, curiosity masking his handsome features.            

“I could never have made it without you these past few weeks, Jace. Thank you,” she smiled her words tender and truthful. Sheepishly, he shrugged as is saying ‘it’s no big deal.’ “But, it is a huge deal. You stood strong, and you never faltered. I love you with everything in me, and I just want you to know that I am so thankful for you.”            

“You reap what you sow, mama. I do for you what you do for me,” he replied, his hand cupping her cheek; instinct had her face nuzzled into his touch. She did not have words to reply; he always managed to make her speechless. All there was left to do was smile, and kiss his luscious lips.            

“A picture of me devouring you in the middle of Broadway is gonna be posted on the Page Six in the morning,” he teased, his lips softly brushing against her lips. Smirking, she kissed him passionately.            

“Well, it’ll either be a picture of you devouring me or me assaulting you, take your pick,” she teased, her hands wrapped around him and finding their way into his back pockets.

“Are we feeling a bit frisky?” his eyebrow arched, and his lips turned upward into a leer. Tossing her head back, she laughed, freely. Looking back at him, she bit her lower lip and nodded her head. Seeing the hunger in her eyes through long lashes sent him into frenzy. 

Taking hold of her hand and pulling her back up Broadway towards Houston Street towards their condo. It was a mile or so away, and at a normal pace it would have taken about fifteen to twenty minutes to reach it. But, he was pulling her along at a slow jog. The pit pat of his sneakers and her sandals echoed in the still of the night. Far enough from the city to only hear muffled cab horns and indistinct hollering, there was a peace about the Lower East Side.

“I’m gonna make it so hard for you to walk the red carpet tomorrow evening,” he teased. She laughed. 

####

“To four Moonmen and two kick-ass performances!” Ana raised her glass in the center of the large group, as they all gathered at some nightclub for the after-party. The guys had rocked the stage and had swept the categories. The guys’ performance of “Pop” had rocked the house. All the colors, the music, the energy…it’d been a party on stage. And, then, Michael Jackson came onstage. And the audience was on its feet, going wild. No one besides the guys and a few people knew of that surprise; Britney and Ana had been clueless. 

Britney. Her performance of her new song had left everyone slack-jawed. Pythons, tigers, feathers, sweat, and lots of skin had proved to be the winning recipe for the audience. She looked incredible. She was like an Amazon woman in her own private jungle. She’d left everyone speechless. 

And, Ana was like a proud mama in the audience through each performance. 

“And to dresses that get shorter each year!” Joey wiggled his eyebrows at Britney’s lace mini and Ana’s silver metallic mini before Kelly slapped him on the head. Joey blushed and tried to redeem himself, “And thank God for your dress, honey” 

It didn’t work. 

The show had been flawless. No crazy unplanned antics, and no crowd brawls between artists. The tribute performance for Aaliyah had been a bit awkward, and confusing, but Ana appreciated the effort to keep things light. She had walked the red carpet, but skipped all interviews except for MTV’s John Norris. Her only role in the program was as a presenter, so she was content to stay in the crowd as the supportive girlfriend and friend. All the hoopla surrounding the awards show had been lost on her until she was there, and now that she wanted to celebrate every win for her friends. 

There were people every way she turned, wanting to catch up with her. Being on tour kept her away from industry functions, so she sometimes lost touch with friends. Besides the glitz and glamour of awards shows, her favorite part was always seeing people that she hadn’t seen in a long time. JC held her at his side the entire night, introducing her to his circle and she did the same thing. Sure, they’d attended awards shows together in the past but this time it was different. 

There was strength, comfort, and unity between the two. Repeatedly, JC would pull her off to the side and make sure that she was good. A couple of days ago, she would have been in shambles, being eaten from the inside out by grief and self-pity. But, she was okay. Maybe she’d never be great like before, but she was okay. 

A hug here and a kiss on the cheek there, the night began to slip away from her catching up. There were magazine photographers at every corner, capturing celebrities with each other. And Ana was sure that in every picture, they were together. Finally, everyone regrouped around a few small side tables. The excitement had not yet died down, even as fatigued set in and a sensible bedtime neared for them all. 

“Let’s dance!” Justin announced pulling Britney out onto the dance floor and letting the others follow their lead. JC had gotten wrapped up in a conversation with Lance and Nelly, so Chris took hold of Ana’s hand and led her out to the crowded floor. There was a mastermix of many hits playing, and Ana was having fun acting silly with Chris, surrounded by Joey and Kelly, Justin and Britney. 

“I can’t believe we’re all performing with Michael tomorrow,” Chris’s expression was a mixture of pure excitement, disbelief, and fear. 

“You mean you can’t believe you performed with him tonight?” she teased, knowing that it hadn’t clicked in his head just yet. She saw the expression evolve on his face, and it made her happier. 

“Dude! I performed with Michael Jackson tonight!” his dancing stopped, and his arms waved excitedly. He looked to her for affirmation. Ana laughed before nodding her head in response. He scooped her up in his arms, and swung her around; she laughing like a maniac. 

“And we’ll perform with him, two nights!” she egged on his excitement, loving every minute of this moment. It was moment like these that kept her feet planted firmly on the ground. Moments of humility and disbelief that reminded her of all the luck surrounding her life. Feeling her feet land back on the club’s smooth floor, she watched Chris disrupt Justin’s dance to announce his new discovery. 

“Why so lonely?” JC’s arms wrapped around from behind, his lips speaking directly into her ear. She smiled, turning her head to rest on his shoulder to look at him from a better angle. 

“I’m not lonely,” she replied, a radiating smile on her lips and a sparkle igniting in her eyes, “I’m lucky.”

Chapter End Notes:

It is amazing what watching classic movies on amc can do for a girl's inspiration. Along with that, youtubing Marc Anthony always puts me in a romantic mood, and so...TAH DAH! I felt there was a need for JC and Ana to get back to one another. After the last chapter, I kept asking myself:

At your lowest, who do you turn to?

And, all I could think about were my friends, my boyfriend, and my family. It's human nature to do the same.


Incomplete
jersey_tenn is the author of 34 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked Naturally also liked 400 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers interracial missionary girlontop love firsttime nsasync tour boyfriendjc celebritysync tourjc