Author's Chapter Notes:

There's always a light at the end of the tunnel - if you just open your eyes, you'd see it.

New York City, New York

September 3, 2001 

I don’t know if you’re coming back

I don’t know if I even have the right to ask

I don’t know what you’re doing now

And if we have a chance I guess you’d probably said bye now 

Eleven days since her best friend had died. 

Five days since she’d buried her friend. 

Six hours until she was due back on full work-mode. There were places to go, people to greet, pictures to take, songs to sing, and asses to kiss. She didn’t want to be there. She didn’t want to work. She wanted to stayed locked in her condo, and mourn. Cry, scream, cry, scream, and then cry some more. She wanted to stay sprawled on her bed, like she was presently doing, and not have to face the world. 

Since Friday’s funeral, that’s been all that she had allowed herself to do. Her sisters had been with her for a few days until JC returned from Mexico. And, then, poof, they were gone. Deep within, she understood. They had jobs to get back to. But, she was too stubborn to accept that as the truth. 

Buzz Buzz 

That was her phone. Mercilessly, for two days now, her phone was on constant buzzing mode. Text messages about parties, concerts, and rehearsal reminders filled her phone’s inbox. With every new text, her mind always wondered if people didn’t know she was mourning. She’d lost her best friend, why would she want to go party? Hadn’t everyone lost a friend? 

Shaking her head in dismay, she reached for her cell phone that lay on the nightstand beside her. Flipping the device open, a bitter smile greeted her lips. 

B’s birthday bash, tonight, Sullivan Room, co-host          

“How could I forget?” she whispered, reading the text from her assistant Lacy. A while ago, one way or another, Ana had been roped by Ananda Lewis into co-hosting a birthday party for Beyonce. It didn’t make sense to her why she was needed to co-host the party when the birthday girl could do that, but now she was hooked. There was nothing left to do, but attend the party. The guys were back in town, and so was Britney. They would all be there tonight – thankfully.          

“I ordered some takeout to munch on before heading out, you ok with that?” her thoughts were startled when she heard JC’s voice from behind her. Lifting her head slightly to get a good view of him, she saw him standing against the doorframe of the bedroom. There was a hesitant look on his face, and she knew that she was to be blamed for that. 

Wordlessly, she extended her hand in his direction, beckoning him to her side. JC languidly pushed away from the doorframe, moving slowly towards the bed. He reached the foot of the bed, next to where her feet hung over the bed’s edge, and simply stood there.          

“Lay with me?” she inquired, patting the spot next to her. She’d never seen hesitancy on his face when she made the same request, and it unnerved her. A moment, or two, passed by before she saw his body twitch; his leg raising to climb onto the mattress.          

“How are you feeling?” he asked, his arm snaking across her midsection as he lay on his side, his arm bent supporting his head. Turning her head to look at him, she looked into his eyes. She wasn’t quite sure what the answer to that question was. But, it’d been a constant question she’d heard in the past week. Phone calls, text messages, or emails – they all asked the same thing. 

"And?" She turned her head to see Justin sitting next to her.

"How are you holding up?"

She was fed up. She was tired of the sympathy. She did not want to cry anymore. Constantly, there was someone asking her if she was okay. Stupid question. Of course she wasn’t okay. Her best friend was dead. Her sister was gone. She often wondered if her family was going through the same thing she was. Was someone in their face constantly? 

“I’m here” she’d reply with a shrug of her shoulders, hoping he’d drop the subject and not pry. But, it was Justin. And Justin was a pry-er. He’d only been back in the city for a couple of hours and he’d already asked her the same thing maybe six times. She’d avoided all eye contact with him; she knew that looking at his eyes would rope her in. He’d nag her until she cracked. 

“I’ll be here when you’re ready. We will all be here,” he’d say, pat her leg, and vanish. 

His hands slightly squeezed her side, breaking her from the depths of her thoughts. She managed a small smile in his direction before turning on her side to face him.          

“Talk to me, mama” he urged, coaxing her with his gentle voice. She didn’t know what he wanted her to say. In fact, she didn’t know what anyone wanted her to say. It wasn’t like she’d shelled up and kept everyone out. If anything, from the beginning, she had cracked. Every time someone asked her, and every time she cried. It was one more crack in her exterior. Here she was trying to repair the damage, and everything else was breaking her down.          

“I don’t want to hurt anymore” she confessed, her head dropping to rest against his chin. He pulled her closer to him, and she reveled in the feeling of his body against hers.          

“I wish I could say that the pain will disappear soon, but I can’t. It’ll take some time, honey,” he soothed and felt her nod against his chin. Smoothing back her curls, he cupped the back of her head and brought her head up to look at him. “Come on, let’s go eat something and then we’ll get ready. The guys should all be here soon.” 

“That too, I don’t think it’s fair that I have to go tonight. I don’t want to be there, and I don’t want to go to the show. Miss Diane and Rashad shouldn’t be there either. People are just going to look at them with pity. They don’t need pity. They need compassion,” she argued, as he pulled her up off the bed and gently tugged her out of the room. 

“Ana, do you think that maybe you should go see them?” he asked as they began their trek down the stairs. 

“I could never do that. What would I say to them? There’s nothing that I can say that will take their pain away,” she argued, frozen in midstep. 

“But don’t you think that they’d like to know that they aren’t the only ones hurting? That their daughter was loved and is missed?” he turned to face her, his eyes pleading her to understand. 

“They lost a daughter, a sister. I lost a friend. My pain is incomparable to them!” she argued, brushing by him as she rushed down the stairs. He tried stopping her but she was too quick for him. 

But, chances are you’re gone

But I hope you know that no matter where you are

I will never be too far away from you

And I know if you ever feeling down

And you need someone around

I’ll be right behind you 

“She was your best friend, Ana! She was like your sister! Don’t belittle your pain like that! You are very much entitled to feel this pain,” he argued, turning to follow her through the condo. He hadn’t known this was how she felt, but now, it made sense. 

“How can you say that, Jace? Diane lost her only daughter. Rashad lost his only sister. They loved her. She was family. How can I go up to them and say ‘I know how you feel’?” There were tears beginning to stream from her eyes as she stood at the end of the hallway. Her hands perched on her hips, her stance defiant and yet broken. 

“So, you’re going to put them through this again. You’ve told me in the past that Diane has been the mother you never knew. She took you in. You became a daughter to her. and now, you’re going to take another daughter away. Is that what you call fair? Is it? You’re going to heal her pain with more pain. Good plan, Ana,” JC argued, the weight and truth of his words falling heavy on her shoulders. Her hands slowly dropped from her waist, hanging wilted at her side. He hated having to be so harsh with her, but it was obvious that tender love was not helping her. “I’m not saying you shouldn’t hurt, cry, or scream. All I’m saying is that you cannot run from it. You have to face it one day or another. You think about that and get back to me.” 

Turning on his heel, he headed to the front foyer when he heard the downstairs buzzer. The food was here. Instead of buzzing in the delivery person, he decided he would walk down there. There was a confusion of emotions swirled inside of him; he felt angry at himself for the way he’d talked to Ana but he also felt like this might be the breakthrough that Ana needed. 

#### 

She was so caught up in her thoughts sitting at the kitchen island count that she didn't even realized JC had returned. The rustle of the plastic bags beside her had announced his return. She’d heard the front door close as she’d stood in the hallway, numb to anything but the pain in her chest. His words still rung in her ears and resonated in her heart. Reality was a bitter pill to swallow. And reality was that he was right, and she was selfish. She wasn’t the only person to feel the loss of Aaliyah. There was someone else finding it hard to breathe with Aaliyah. And, there was someone going to bed every night to an empty and cold space beside them. Each time her heart beat and her lungs filled with air, she felt the pain and so did someone else. 

I want nothing but the best for you

I wish you well, time will tell

If I’ll ever hear from you

And I know, baby, there’s no use

Drive these circles, tracing over our old routes 

“Ana…I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have…” JC began, but Ana quickly silenced him. Her hands grasped his, and there was a hint of a smile on her lips. 

“No, thank you. I know it was tough saying those things to me, but I needed to hear that. I needed to open my eyes and I needed to see what I was doing. So, thank you. You’re so right, and after we eat, I’m going to call Miss Diane and ask to see her tomorrow. Aaliyah would have kicked my ass if she knew how I was acting. I’m sorry. I really am. You’ve been nothing but patient with me, and I appreciate that so much. Thank you,” her golden eyes had a glint of restored shine in them. JC smiled at her confession, and hugged her close. 

“You’re going to be ok, Anita. I promise you,” he spoke against her lips as she reached up to peck his lips. It’d been the first kiss that she’d initiated since the last time he’d seen her before the passing. It felt wonderful. 

“Now I hope you ordered enough food, because I am starving!” she joked, turning quickly to the food on the counter. 

“Are you kidding me woman? Hands off my food!” he exclaimed, diving to steal away the Styrofoam container of spring rolls from her greedy hands. She laughed, managing to escape his reach as she circled the counter. 

“Learn to share! I haven’t ate in a long time, plus you’re supposed to be nice to me,” she argued, standing across the counter with a spring roll to her lips and a smirk on her face. 

“Oh yeah, and why is that?” JC quipped, raising a curious brow. 

“I’ve been mourning,” she cheekily smiled, and he laughed – ridiculously loud. In one swift motion, he was around the counter with his arm around her from behind. Together, they laughed like they hadn’t laughed in a long time. Pressing his lips to her temple, his arms tightened around her. She was going to be okay. 

#### 

The city was bustling with music’s biggest names – it was the week of MTV’s Video Music Awards. Traffic in the city was horrendous. Cabs and town cars were battling it out for lane space. The sidewalks were packed with partygoers in sequins, jewels, heels, leathers, and furs. Brown-nosing had become the single-most popular occupation in New York City for the week. Everyone trying to get into every place. And, it made sense. 

There were multiple pre-parties all over the city every night of the week. Nightclubs and restaurants hosted the self-proclaimed “Hottest Party of the Night” all over the damn city. And to add to the excitement, Michael Jackson’s 30th Anniversary Tribute Concert was to follow one of music’s biggest (or at least liveliest) nights. As their car continued to coast down the packed streets, she was thankful she was only attending the VMAs as a presenter. Yes, she was a performer at the Michael Jackson concert along with the guys and Britney, but she didn’t think she could handle preparing for two separate performances when her mind was still in a jumble.          

“How were rehearsals?” she tried to keep her mind occupied, starting a conversation with Britney, whom sat beside her. Ana knew she was performing her new single, but she hadn’t heard it and knew nothing of the performance.          

“They went well, but tomorrow we take it to the stage. I’m nervous about it, though,” she confessed, straightening out her jean mini-skirt that rode high on her thighs.          

“Ah, don’t worry girl. You’ll kill it,” Ana reassured her with a comforting pat on her knee and smiled at her. She was a sweet girl, and she considered her a friend. Despite whatever the media did to pin artists against one another, she could honestly say she didn’t have a grudge with any other artist. Britney’s bright smile made Ana feel good, and she was thankful for it.          

“Shut me up if I’m out of line, but how are you doing? J’s told me that its been rough for you. You doing better?” she asked, her voice dropping several decibels and Ana smiled.          

“I’m getting there. It’s been tough. But, you know, you and I have all these wonderful people around us, how can we be anything but okay, right?” Ana replied, her eyes looking around to the other guys sitting in the car. Everyone was in their own conversation.          

“Ain’t that the truth, hun?” Britney laughed, looking around at the maniacs that surrounded them. It was impossible to be down in the dumps for too long with these fools along for the ride. “Now, I say you and I get our party on tonight. What do you say? Should this pair of Southern ladies show these yanks how we do it back home?” 

Laughing incredulously loud, Ana caught the attention of everyone in the car. Britney had sounded so ridiculous that Ana couldn’t help but laugh. “You’re on sista!” 

####          

“I think we should both fear those two,” Justin retorted and shouted over the loud bass as he sauntered up beside JC. JC was leaning against the railing on the second floor of the Sullivan Room, and hadn’t heard what Justin had said. Instead of repeating himself, Justin simply pointed out towards the downstairs dance floor. 

“Are they lit?” JC humorously asked, now seeing what Justin was pointing at. In the center of the dancing crowd, he spotted the masses of brunette and blonde curls that belonged to both Ana and Britney. The speakers were thumping, the crowd was cheering, and these two were having the times of their lives. 

“I don’t know, but they are wildin’ out,” Justin exclaimed, watching them dance with each other. Every man’s eyes were on the pair. Between Britney’s mini-skirt and black cropped top and Ana’s skintight jeans and white criss-cross halter top, copious amounts of skin was on exhibit. Both held a drink in their hand, and bets could be placed that the plastic cups didn’t hold water. By the flush coloring of their skins, they were definitely intoxicated to some extent. And noting their provocative partnered dancing, they were reaching a limit quickly. 

“You two have the hottest girlfriends ever!” Joey rushed to their side, a drink in one hand and another in the air. Before they could respond, he’d rushed away and down the stairs. Shaking their heads in dismay, they turned back to the heated scene below. Joey had now found his way between Ana and Britney, and he was in heaven. 

“They are pretty hot, huh?” Justin mumbled, but JC heard him. Laughing, JC patted him on the back and squeezed his shoulder. 

“We’re doing alright, my friend,” he retorted and led the way through the crowds. They needed to get to their girlfriends before some creep bigger than Joey, if that were possible, made it to them. 

“Oooh…look who’s joining the party. Let’s dance baby!” Ana’s slurs were a dead giveaway that she wasn’t entirely in her senses. Her fingers gripped JC’s hand as she spun herself around to press back against him. Her drink safely tucked against her chest; she wasn’t letting it get spilled. Looking over to Justin, JC felt relieved that he, too, was dealing with Britney in a similar state. 

“You having fun, mama?” JC asked as his hands gripped her hips and his body followed her lead. She had the cocktail to her lips, so she only nodded her reply. He noted that really all that remained of her drink were the ice cubes and the orange peel and cherry speared on a toothpick. 

“I need a refill,” she pouted, digging the toothpick out and with her teeth, sliding the cherry into her mouth. 

“Let’s slow down and enjoy some dancing then we can drink some more,” JC suggested, turning her around to face him. 

“But you have a beer and I want a drink,” she whined, her sparkling eyes luring him in. Sighing, he grabbed her hand and began to steer her through the crowd towards the open bar located in the back of the nightclub. Before they could reach the end of the dance floor, the songs changed and JC was jolted as Ana stopped. 

“We gotta go back, come on!” she exclaimed and excitedly pushed through the crowd before reappearing beside Justin and Britney. 

“This was my shit!” Justin exclaimed as he held onto Britney’s hips, body rolling. Ana sauntered right up to Britney and began dancing with her. All there was left for JC to do was either join the train behind Ana…or behind Justin. Yeah, tough choice.  

Shorty swing my way
Sho look good to me
Now would you please
Swing my way
Shorty swing my way
 

Arms in the air, the air was electric. There was so much energy in the place. The dance floor seemed to have become more packed. Like the song brought everyone out of the woodworks. Looking around, every hot name in the industry surrounded them. The lights were low and strobe lights were blinding.  

Step off in da club
On a friday night
Lookin' fo a man
Dat'll do me right
1st move dat I make was
On the dance flo
Broke it one time
Then I went fo mo
Here's da code
Action what's happenin now
Start scoutin blendin throu the crowd
Looked ova to my left
And told my girl hey
If I see him again I'm a have to say



Polishing her rapping skills, Ana had become the center of the attention. Joined in the middle of the floor by Beyonce and Britney, they made an indelible trio. Camera flashes mimicked the pulsing strobes as the three performed the Kp and Envyi song from a few years back. 

Shorty swing my way
Sho look good to me
Now would you please
Swing my way
Shorty swing my way
(swing it ova here shorty)

The crowd joined in the choruses, and the girls egged on the partygoers. JC and Justin now simply dance with the crowd but watched the performance. It truly was a sight to see, both humorous and relieving. Ana was coming back. 

Gotta get up da nerves
To get my swerve on
Gotta do it fast or
He'll be gon
Cause it'll be... just my luck
Dat somebdy else will scoop him up
Can't have dat
Wanna be dat girl dat
Find herself a perfect match
Didn't wanna come off bein to fly
Gotta contact eye to eye
 

And then, as if a hunter smelt its prey, Ana twisted on her stiletto heel and can face-to-face with JC. Her eyes sought him out, and held him in his place. Sauntering towards him and singing the words to the hook, she beckoned him to her.

Then I walked ova to him slowly
Said I know u don't know me
But this might be my only
Shot at a tenderoni
 I've been watchin' u
From across da room
I wanna know yo name
Can u swing my way
Shorty
Swing my way
Swing my way...
            

“How about that drink, stud?” she whispered, her arm wrapped around his neck and her body flushed against his. He knew he should’ve said no to her, but his body’s craving for her touch betrayed him. Grabbing her hand, he once again led the way through the crowd. Pushing her up against the bar, he leaned over trying to get the bartender’s attention. Ana’s lips now assaulting his neck, sending delicious sparks down to the tip of his toes.          

“Someone give this woman a tequila Manhattan, ASAP!” he exclaimed, pounding his hand on the bar and feeling Ana’s giggle against his throat’s pulse point. Tremors coursed his body, heating up his blood. 

#### 

The morning sunshine rose from behind the Hudson River and now penetrated through the bedroom curtains, dancing along the olive-toned exposed skin in the middle of the bed. Appendages were tangled in the crisp white sheets. There was a dull thumping on the bedroom door, and it caused the sleeping occupant to stir.          

“Go away” her voice sounded gruff and muffled, her face buried deep into the pillow’s warmth. She tried to turn her head, but the sunlight produced a head-splitting throb between her eyes. “Oh shoot me.”          

“No can do, buttercup! Rise and shine!” the throbbing in her head and ears prevented her from hearing the rush of approaching footsteps until it was too late. Her small frame absorbed the impact of a much heavier and pudgier frame landing directly on her, the air rushing out of her lungs.          

“Can’t breathe” she gasped, struggling to catch her breath and to push whoever her attacker was off of her. Damn her for always managing to get tangled in the sheets.          

“If you couldn’t breathe, then you couldn’t talk,” her aggressor taunted, ruffling her already bird’s nest-like hair. She detested having someone touch her hair, and this gave her the energy boost to push her offender off of her and straight to the floor. He landed with a huff, “Not so gentle please.”          

“Is there a reason for your existence?” Ana sneered, her hand covering her eyes, shielding them from the offensive sunlight.          

“Besides to make your everyday brighter and richer, no sweetheart, I don’t think so,” he smirked, loving every second of her torture. Slowly removing her hand from her face, her eyes cautiously peeked open.          

“Why couldn’t today be cloudy and gloomy?” she groaned, dropping back onto the mattress, her fingers rubbing at her throbbing temples.          

“Oh quit the melodrama Meryl Streep!” he tossed a pillow at her, bouncing it nicely off the tip of her nose. In response, her nose scrunched and her lip snarled.          

“You’re such a comedian, Justin Randall! Now, I repeat myself, what the hell do you want? Shouldn’t you be tending to Britney’s hangover?” she squinted, damning every drink she’d drank the previous night.          

“Been there, done that, except she wasn’t as much of a pussy as you,” he smirked, evading her flinging arm and avoiding the stinging of his flesh. “Plus, she, like you and I, have a job to get to. So, I remind you that you have a fabulous rehearsal to get to in an hour and an even lovelier dinner date tonight. Let me suggest you man up, grab hold of your balls, and get out of bed. Jace and I will be downstairs, waiting,” his playful banter disappeared and he accented his demands with a snap of his towel on the top of her exposed thighs before exiting the bedroom in a hurry.          

“You bastard!” she exclaimed, sitting up in reaction to the stinging of her thigh. The sudden rush of blood to her head did nothing for her hangover, and in response, she rolled out of bed quickly. Only making it to the porcelain throne by the skin of her teeth, she indulged in a lengthy morning conversation.          

“Speak your mind, and I will break your neck,” she verbally assaulted JC and Justin as she walked into the kitchen a bit later, a menacing finger pointed at the two. Freshly showered and with an empty stomach, she felt relatively better. And now, dressed for rehearsals, she needed some asprin.          

“Good morning” JC ventured to say, not fearing possible lifelong paralysis at the hands of his manic girlfriend. Opting to bite her tongue, Ana simply glanced at him and pecked him briefly on the lips. The guys watched her move fluidly around the kitchen, tossing two asprin pills into her mouth, drinking three glasses of water, and throwing several apples, bananas, and oranges into the bag that slung from her shoulder.          

“Party at your place tonight, right?” Justin teased her as she bit into one of the Granny apples that she’d taken from the refrigerator. With glaring eyes, she provided him with an answer to his question.          

“Don’t you dare, Timberflake, or I will cut off your balls,” she threatened with a sickening smile on her face. On her way out the kitchen, she kissed JC’s cheek and patted the top of Justin’s head.          

“I’ll see you tonight, gorgeous!” JC called after her, craning his neck to watch her walk down the hall and out the front door. Hearing the slam of the door, he whistled lowly under his breath. “You sure do know how to piss her off.” 

Nodding in agreement, Justin nervously wiped at the perspiration that had accumulated on his brow, “She’s dangerous.” 

#### 

But, chances are you’re gone

But I hope you know that no matter where you are

I will never be too far away from you

And I know if you ever feeling down

And you need someone around

I’ll be right behind you 

The shake of her hands and the quiver of her voice scared her. This feeling of desperation was foreign to her. As the day had rolled on, the unsettling feeling in her stomach had increased tenfold. It was something she knew that she needed to do, but she couldn’t convince herself to leave the refuge of her bedroom.          

“You may burn a hole through to the bathroom if you stare any harder,” JC’s voice startled her as he walked into the bedroom. She sat on the edge of the bed, wrapped in a towel, freshly showered and staring ahead at the wall lost in distant thoughts.          

“Then you’d be able to peep without opening the door,” she retorted, her hands fidgeting in her lap. She watched the playful smile spread across his lips as he got closer to her until he stood before her. Tilting her head upwards, she met his eyes.          

“Why would I need to peep when I can just hop in there and join you?” he teased, his lips taking her bottom lip captive. It was his hands on her upper arms, holding her steady that settled her. It was the tender tug on her lips that soothed her. The warmth of his tongue caressing her tongue cradled her. The opposing forces of his tender caresses and his potent kisses awoke her.          

“I’m nervous and I’m scared” she confessed when he finally broke for a breather. There was an understanding smile on his face, ready to wipe away those worries and fears.          

“I would be too, but everything is going to be okay. You need to do this, mama. You need to settle this with yourself. I know you, if you don’t do this it’s going to eat away at you. You know that right?” he paused for a reply, and when she nodded, he continued, “I know you think you should go alone, but I know you want me there and I want to be there. So, get dressed while I shower quickly.” 

Right behind you, if your walls come falling down

Right behind you, if your silence was too loud

Right behind you, baby I would tell you

If you turn around 

Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, Ana stood and walked into the closet off to the right side of the bathroom. It was dinner at Aaliyah’s family home, and she knew it was nothing dressy or special, but she still felt the need to look halfway decent. Miss Diane had said it would only be a few people, and Ana knew she know them all. She’d spent enough family barbeques and holidays with them to have gotten to know most of the family. As her fingers flipped through the clothes that hung on the racks, her mind drifted to JC. He’d been wonderful through this all. He’d been her silent rock from the very beginning. He never had to say anything to help her through. At night, when she’d wake from a nightmare, he’d hold her and rock her back to sleep. Never questioned anything, he simply knew when he was needed. And, she was thankful for his support, especially tonight. She didn’t know what to expect, and that scared her.          

“Come on, toots. I’m hungry, and you can daydream later,” he playfully hip-bumped her out of the way as he too walked into the closet with a towel wrapped loosely around his narrow hips. She smiled at his playfulness, but her attention was on that droplet of water that had escaped his tresses. She was marking its trek down his neck, over his shoulder, across his collarbone, gaining some speed as it crossed his chest and made its way to the valley leading to his belly button.          

“I don’t think I could dream you looking any more delicious than you do right now,” she spoke, her voice in a trance. Realizing what she said, she blushed and he laughed.           

“You’re damn right,” he joked, smirking at her blush. It was so easy to make her blush, and it took advantage of it at every available moment. 

“One of these days I’m going to leave you hurting,” she warned, her finger playfully wagging at him. 

“I can only pray so much.” 

And from the corner of her eye, she watched as he slipped into a pair of black boxers. The cotton material hugged him nicely, leaving a beautiful sight to make her mouth water. Slipping a patterned strapless dress that hit above her knee, she reached around the back to raise the zipper. But, his fingers were on it quicker. He zipped the dress with ease and placed a soft kiss on that spot where her neck curves into her shoulder, her spot. 

“I love when you wear dresses,” his voice soft and soothing. She turned to answer him but he was gone. Fishing out a pair of black sandals, she quickly reached down to buckle them and head out of the closet. He was standing in front of the vanity mirror in the restroom, his hands spreading gel into his curls. His frame now covered by a simple white tee and a pair of khaki pants that sat low on his hips. He could always make the simplest clothes look so sexy and so incredible. As she came up beside him, he smiled at her before dipping right back out of the bathroom. He’s such a tease, she mused. 

“Let’s go darlin’,” she spoke with her twang as she found him in the living room, patiently waiting for her. Looking up at her, he smiled and joined her in the foyer. 

“You look so beautiful, babygirl,” he spoke, once again making her blush. 

“You and I have a date tonight, stud,” she replied, and his eyebrows raised in shock. He wasn’t expecting her to say that. Hell, he wasn’t expecting her to be in any kind of mood after visiting with Aaliyah’s family. 

“Babygirl, I don’t think you’ll be in the mood for anything after tonight’s dinner,” he hoped that his observation wouldn’t upset her. He knew that tonight would be tough for her, and he didn’t want her going into it expecting one thing and something else happening. 

“Baby, have a little faith in me. Tonight is about being there for them, and them being there for me. It’ll be a long journey, and tonight is just another day on that journey. I’ll be ok. You’ll be here with me and that’s all I need. Now, I think I’ll have a craving for some ice cream tonight. What do you say? Will you have ice cream with me tonight?” the smile on her face told him that she spoke the truth. And, he couldn’t deny her that request as she stood before looking gorgeous, relaxed, and happy. 

That I hope you know that no matter where you are

I will never be too far away from you

And I know if you ever feeling down

And you need someone around

I’ll be right behind you

I’ll be right behind you

I’ll be right behind you 

“I’m right behind you, babygirl.” He opened the door for her, and she kissed his lips before stepping out.

Chapter End Notes:

Please...review! 

Song Credits: 

Swing My Way - Kp & Envyi

Right Behind You - Ashley Arrison



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers interracial missionary girlontop love firsttime nsasync tour boyfriendjc celebritysync tourjc