Author's Chapter Notes:
*hides* so i'm an #epicfail when it comes to timely updates...I'm sorry! I hope you enjoy! review! review! review! review! pls! pls! pls! pls!

Four days since the new luxury, dark wood bed had been delivered and four days since the world had been exposed to entertainment’s newest power couple. It all seemed silly to Ana. All the attention seemed pointless. In her eyes, there was nothing exciting about them. They weren’t Justin and Britney. There was more of a fairytale element to their relationship. You know, the whole childhood friends find love and all that jazz. She saw them, and she could see why the world was fascinated with them. Young and in love – carefree puppy love. 

Funny, she was their age and yet she felt so much older. JC definitely had a lot with her feeling more mature and more in control. She didn’t feel they were old-fashioned, but they were more routine and domestic than anything. They’d easily fallen into a routine at home – like that of an old married couple. 

Despite the lack of commonalities between both couple, the media would not give up on drawing the comparisons between both couples. One magazine had listed all the similarities with a single difference, JC and Ana were brunettes. Ana had laughed so long at that one; Justin hated being called a blonde. 

That day, the day they’d gone public, JC had taken Ana shopping for a new bedroom set. He had told her that he wanted them to start fresh. It wasn’t necessary, but Ana knew the biggest reason for getting a new bed set was because he’d shared it with Bobbie. When it clicked in her mind, she breathed a sigh of relief and thanked him. He blushed slightly but dismissed it by saying that he hadn’t taken the time to decorate his LA home either, so there was no better time to do it than now. Ana knew that Bobbie had lived in this house, but she didn’t dwell much on it. She didn’t want to let old ghosts haunt this new stage. 

Now that they were public, they’d agreed to simply not talk to the press about their relationship. They weren’t going to hide per se, but they weren’t going to be on exhibit either. They’d discuss attending events together as events came up. To them, their relationship wasn’t as big of a deal as it’d become in the past couple of days. Media attention should stay focus on their careers and not them. For now, Ana was going to focus on her Spanish tour and JC was going to channel his energy on NSYNC’s album and tour. And together, they were focusing on situating into a life together – making time for each other and learning to live together. 

Like every morning, Ana woke early, way before JC. She had rehearsals in a couple of hours but she had much to get done in the house before heading out. Relishing the feeling of JC’s body close and warm, she breathed in deeply before stretching her body. Allowing herself a moment to adjust, she regarded the room – still and quiet. Sunlight had begun its slow creep over the hills and into the bedroom via the large glass windows that took up an entire wall of the bedroom. 

In two days, they’d transformed his ultra bare bedroom into something they’d both agreed on. Being that the house had a very modern style, the bedroom had dark, almost black hardwood floors. Adding a black wood canopy bed to set in the center with dark wood nightstands and dressers to go along with it, Ana had chosen a deep grey and peach color scheme for the room. The sheets, comforter, pillows, and shams were all in varying patterns of grey and peach. 

She carefully climbed out of bed, careful not to wake JC. She knew he’d had a late night in the studio, and she didn’t want to interrupt his sleep. He had a meeting to go to tonight, and she wanted him to rest up. Tiptoeing into her closet, which she’d finally managed to organize yesterday, she quickly pulled a pair of sweat pants and tank top on before packing some extra clothes into a duffle bag. Moving to the bathroom, she snuck a glance at JC’s sleeping form. Deep breaths filled his chest, wild curls decorated his head, and a pout shaped his lips. 

Quickly finishing up her morning routine, which now included wiping dry toothpaste from the sink bowl, she sat on the leather cushioned bench at the foot of the bed to pull on her sneakers. She shook her head thinking of all the things that she’d quickly learned about JC. Yes, she stayed at his house and he stayed at hers in the past. But, there was a difference when it was their home. Reaching the bottom of the stairs and nearly breaking a hip, she sighed. 

Shoes. 

One of JC’s downfalls – leaving his shoes at the base of the staircase. She’d noticed before that he tended to leave his shoes in random places. In some weird way, she’d found it adoring in the past. But after four mornings of constantly tripping on them, it was plain annoying. Tucking the shoes into the coat closet by the front door, she made her way to the kitchen to fix her breakfast and snacks. 

A shrill from the phone on the counter interrupted Ana’s humming. Racing to answer the phone before it could disturb JC, Ana clicked the phone. 

“Hello?” she spoke, tucking the phone between her jaw and shoulder. 

“Ana, sweetheart, how are you?” a friend voice replied. Ana couldn’t help but smile as she recognized Karen’s voice. 

“I’m good, Mrs. Chasez, how are you?” she replied. 

“Ana, must I tell you every time that it’s Karen, and I’m good. How are you settling in?” a soft blush crept up to Ana’s cheek. 

“I’m sorry. It’ll take some getting used to, ma’am. Oh man, you see, it’s a bad habit. But, I’m settling in just fine. It’s a process,” Ana replied as she went about washing the dishes that she assumed JC used the night before. 

“Oh, I know, hun. Josh is no saint, so anyone that dares put up with him is a saint. It also eases a mother’s mind knowing her baby boy is being taken care of,” Karen replied, causing Ana to chuckle. 

“Oh, I think we both have our hells. But, we’ll make it work,” she replied, smiling at the note that she’d just spotted next to the sink. 

Thank you for dinner. I’ll need the car, wake me. I’ll drop u off. I love you. - Josh 

“How are your rehearsals going?” their conversation continued on for about a half hour, before Ana had to go. She needed to finish getting ready before heading out. 

“Oh, that’s alright, dear. You take care of yourself and my baby; let him know ‘I love him’. It was nice talking to you. Have a good day,” Karen said. Ana returned the well wishes before placing the phone next to her. She shook her head and chuckled before moving her stuff by the garage door. 

Hating to have to wake him, she climbed back upstairs. Unstirred, he laid now in the middle of the bed. Gently sitting on the bed’s edge, Ana leaned over to kiss his lips gently. She soothed his curls back before softly calling his name. 

“Josh, baby, you have to wake up,” she spoke, all the while smoothing his crazy curls back. Lush eyelashes fluttered against high cheek bones before dazed blue eyes smiled at her. 

“Morning gorgeous,” he croaked before clearing his throat and stretching. 

“Good morning, baby. I saw your note. I didn’t want to wake you, but I need to get going though,” Ana replied reaching back down to kiss his puckered lips. Pulling away, he stood and walked into the bathroom. 

“Go start the car, I’ll be down in a second,” he called, and Ana could hear the sink water running.  

#### 

“Hold those legs higher Ana!” a growl resonated from the dance studio’s reflective surfaces. 

“How the hell do you expect me to hold them higher when my fucking insides are shaking?” a strained Ana replied as she lay on the hardwood floor – legs suspended in the air. Her dancers all groaned from around her as they too lay like her. 

Rick stood in the front of the room, watching them, pushing them to hold onto it longer. 

“Maybe if you would focus on the dance steps more, you’d do less punishments,” he retorted. Ana grumbled about costume sketches and budget approvals as her abs quivered and her thighs burned. 

All morning she’d been trying to go through dance rehearsals, but every few minutes someone would interrupt them to have her look over sketches, budgets, setlists, and schedule drafts. It was driving everyone insane because Rick refused to give them a break until they could get through it without an interruption. Each mistake was paid off by some drill – jumping jacks, push-ups, planks, wall sit ups, etc. 

“Alright, up on your feet. Let’s try this once more,” Rick called before a series of limps smacking the hardwood floors was heard. Groans followed as they all stood, shakily. 

The music to the first song came on and the group of 11 moved effortlessly from formation to formation. Rick had managed to teach them 3 full songs already. They moved from one song to another with Rick correctly small things here and there. She had a 13 song set, but only about 9 were dance songs. So, they weren’t practicing the ballads – obviously. As each song progressed, the fatigue began to weigh down on the group. Nearing the end of the final song, the studio doors burst open and in ran a canine. 

“Tajo!” Ana grunted in frustrated. Her dancers dropped to the floor in equal frustration. Another interruption meant a re-do. 

“Did we come at a bad time?” a hesitant JC stood at the door holding the leash that Ana assumed was once latched onto Tajo’s collar. 

“Nah, they were heading on break,” Rick chuckled from his place up against the wall mirrors. Eleven hopeful faces look to him for assurance. This caused him to chuckle harder. He nodded in response and everyone scurried like roaches. 

“Are you being a slavedriver again Rick?” JC kidded as he walked further into the studio. Stopping to shake Rick’s hand, he moved to the center of the room where Ana sat in a heap of tired bones. 

“Always and forever…”Rick kidded before gathering his things and leaving the studio. 

“Tired, mama?” JC asked as he bent over at the waist to kiss Ana’s puckered lips. 

“Exhausted is more like it. If Lacy comes in here one more time and ask me to approve something, I’m going to approve her termination papers,” Ana sighed falling back onto the cool wooden floors. Tajo laid beside his master and cuddle up to her side. 

“I’m sorry honey. I know how frustrating it is to do 1 million things at once,” JC sympathized, taking a seat beside her. “How much longer do you think you’ll be here?” 

“Probably 3 or 4 hours. Then, I gotta head upstairs to meet with Ruben to work on some arrangements. Are you heading to meet up with the guys?” Ana asked laying her arms across her eyes and trying to regain a normal breathing pattern. JC’s had found its way to her exposed belly, and gently rested his hand there. 

“Yeah, we’re just gonna all ride over there together,” JC replied. 

“Well, leave Tajo here with me. I’ll take him home with me,” Ana replied turning her head to look at Tajo. He seemed to already be snoozing by her side but she wasn’t sure. 

“I shouldn’t be home too late tonight, but I’ll let you know if it runs late,” JC stated as he leaned over Ana’s resting body. She nodded in response before feeling his lips softly caress her own. Slowly, the simple kiss escalated to much more. His tongue pushed against her lips until she granted it access. His hand grasped her behind the neck and pulled her up into a sitting position. 

Finally yanking away, Ana gasped for air, as did JC. Chuckling, they leaned against each other and remained in silence until JC had to leave. As he walked out and Ana ran her hand through Tajo’s coat, she smiled. All the frustrations of the day had walked out the door with him. He was the only person capable of taking all her worries away without trying. He simply made her days brighter. 

----

Hours later 

Vamos Tajo, adentro,” Ana commanded as she walked into the house later that night. She was frustrated, tired, and irritated. The second half of dance rehearsal had been horrible. Everyone was tired and making stupid mistakes. Rick was on a power trip, so she knew she’d be extremely sore tomorrow. Then, her meeting with Ruben for vocal arrangements had been a disaster. Her voice was simply not working with her. Her already thinning patience had disappeared. 

Sighing, she unhooked Tajo from his leash and he went barreling through the house. Making her way to the patio door, she let him out to run off some energy. Checking the voicemail and the mail on the hallway table, she grabbed an apple from the kitchen. 

...I’ll see you at home tonight 

She heard the end of JC’s message on the answering machine. She felt her heart flutter at the mention of ‘home’. It excited to think of the time they’d be spending together here. JC would be in LA for some time recording before flying back to Orlando to finish up tour rehearsals with the tour starting in less than two months. 

She, too, would be in LA for the next month helping Christina finish up her album and finishing up tour rehearsals. She was going on her Latin American tour in about 5 weeks, so she was very excited. Bringing Tajo back into the house, she locked up downstairs and made her way upstairs to shower. Despite the fact that she was glad to be home and couldn’t wait for JC to get home, she was frustrated. Her tour was weeks away and she felt completely unprepared. Add to her plate her first music production with Christina’s album and moving; Ana’s every nerve was frayed. 

~thump~ 

“What the hell?!?!” she exclaimed as her body went flying to the floor. Her knees collided with wooden floors, and she was able to get her hands out in front before her face met the floor. Turning around to find what she’d tripped on, she saw red. She was pretty sure her nostrils flared and smoke poured out her ears. Grabbing the offensive items, she threw them against the opposite wall before banging her fists on the floor in frustration. 

“Dammit, JC! Shoes! Shoes! Shoes! Shoes!” she accented each word with a fist pound. Gathering herself upright, she looked around the bedroom and her anger heightened. The bed had been left unmade. Clothes were scattered around the sitting area and the bed. A used towel lay across the foot of the bed. 

Huffing, she marched around the bedroom picking up stray articles of clothing and placing them in their rightful place. In her fit, she didn’t hear the door open downstairs nor the footsteps nearing the bedroom. 

“Honey, I’m ho…” a cheerful voice stopped mid sentence upon seeing her stomping around the bedroom. Letting out a low whistle, JC knew he was in trouble. He stood in the doorway and finally she whirled around and spotted him. 

“Baby…let me explain,” he began as soon as he saw the fire in her golden eyes. 

“No, let me explain something to you,” she spoke in monotone firm words. “I am sick and tired of you leaving your shoes everywhere in this damn house. It’s like a big joke to you. Every day I nearly bust my ass walking into them, and today, oh today is just it. Look at my knees, Josh, they’re bruising!” 

Looking down at her knees, JC spotted two rather large and already-darkening spots. Internally wincing, he took a step towards her. 

“No! Just please, leave me alone right now. You were here majority of the day and you couldn’t make the bed or put up your clothes. Then I come home to not only this mess but to your shoes in the doorway. I just…please, just let me be for a while,” she held her hand up to stop him in his tracks. 

“Ana, baby, I’m sorry,” JC attempted to apologize. 

“Please, don’t. You’ll do it again, Josh. This isn’t the first mention of shoes, so please, spare me,” she coldly laughed before walking into the bathroom and locking the door behind her. 

JC stood close to the bed, that’s as far as he’d made it before Ana had stopped him. Looking around the room, he grimaced as he observed his mess. He felt a nudged on his hand that caused him to look down. Tajo stood next to him looking around the room, skeptically. 

“Yeah, boy, I really messed up with mama this time,” JC spoke softly, scratching behind Tajo’s ears. As if agreeing, Tajo whimpered softly. Taking a deep breath, JC began to move around the room picking up after himself. In the hour or so it took him to clean up, Ana did not come out of the bathroom. Assuming he was probably in the doghouse for the night, JC gave up and moved downstairs to the spare bedrooms. 

“I love you, goodnight,” he spoke into the bathroom door before leaving the bedroom. 

Way to go Chasez. 

---- 

April 1, 2001

Beverly Hills, CA 

“Ladies and gentlemen, tonight, we are gathered here to honor some pretty incredible individuals. Normally, all of our honorees are known simply for their work – singers, actors, actresses, comedians, and politicians. But, tonight, they’ll be known for their heart and their generosity. Our first presenter of the night has left me speechless. And, I haven’t even begun to name her achievements; I simply saw that dress,” actor James Marsden spoke from his place at the podium. Looking out into the crowd, suit and ties and ball gowns chuckling at his joke greeted him in return. 

“She is not only a superb singer-songwriter, but we add dancer, actress, philanthropist and humanitarian to her resume. Please join me in welcoming the very talented and absolutely stunning, Ana Mora,” he continued before stepping off to the side and clapping along with the audience. 

“I thought she was pissed with you,” Chris mumbled towards JC as they clapped and watched Ana walk out and towards center-stage. 

“Me too,” JC replied. She’d been gone early this morning, and she’d ignored all his calls and messages throughout the day. He knew he’d really messed up, and he understood what kind of pressure she was under. If anything, he knew it better than anyone else and that should’ve made him more sensitive to her. But, no, he had his head so far up his ass that he’d failed her. 

He couldn’t fight the smile that graced his face seeing his now live-in girlfriend standing up on stage looking as stunning as she did. His eyes glanced over at the women at his table, and none of them compared to his beauty. Britney was joining Justin this evening, and not ever her beauty came close to Ana. Ana was a beauty in a league of her own. 

“Thank you, James. I greatly appreciate it,” Ana’s voice was picked up by her microphone. She took her place, and smiled warmly at the crowd. The spotlight danced off her purple strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and a pencil skirt, her diamond jewelry and diamond-studded heels sparkled brightly. 

“Good evening everyone. I am blessed to have the privilege to honor great individuals tonight. Every time I have the opportunity to grace a stage, I am reminded of the influence that I have over the people in the audience. As public figures, we have such a power in our hands to do good and to encourage good. I cannot begin to describe the amazement that I feel when I hear about the good deeds of these individuals. I know them as my friends, as my peers, and as my inspirations. You know them as singers, dancers, performers, and occasional comedians. But, you see, I also know them as wonderful human beings. They have hearts the size of giants. They have souls brighter than any star,” Ana spoke with eloquence, but there was a slight hint of emotion in her voice. She paused and looked around the banquet hall. 

“Children are our future, and there is such a need to support organizations that aim to brighten up the lives of our future. The guys of NSYNC – Justin, Chris, Joey, Lance, and JC – founded Challenge for the Children, a charity basketball game to raise funds for a myriad of children charities. Every summer, they recruit individuals from all realms of entertainment to come together for some fun. What more perfect way to do good than to have fun? Take a look at the wonderful things that these five regular, yet sensational individuals with bigger hearts than anyone else I know dedicate their time to,” Ana spoke before the lights dimmed and a video began to show behind her.

She took this moment to wipe her eyes before tears could ruin her makeup. She stood off to the side and watched the video roll footage of last year’s basketball game, behind-the-scene footage, and interviews with the guys. After a few minutes, as the video cut off, Ana walked towards a microphone stand to the side of the stage. 

“I am not supposed to be here tonight, but I could not give up the opportunity to be here for these guys. I figured I could give up one free night. They’ve been there for me, as incredible friends and as the brothers I never had. I tried to think of a way that I could express my gratitude for their exceptional work with children and I could only come up with one way. Sing a song. Then, I could not think of a song that I would like to sing. And so, I remembered a conversation that I had with Justin and Lance some time ago. They were telling me about one of their favorite songs, and they didn’t realize that it was one of my early songs. So, I’d love to dedicate this number to them,” Ana spoke into the microphone. 

“Guys, thank you for everything you do and I wish you all the luck with your endeavors. Alright, I haven’t sung this in a few years, so bare with me,” Ana said as the piano began to play. The guys sat with huge smiles on their faces, but with question in their eyes. Ana smiled at them before bringing the microphone to her pale pink-hued lips. 

ooooh..... time after time, when im feelin low
something inside of me lets me know that its alright
loves on my side
when the world...seems a lonely place
I've got a dream that wont leave a trace of the blues
I just think of you, baby I know

As the chorus kicked in, Ana slinked her way around the stage. Standing close to the stage’s edge, she serenaded their table. The guys, of course, could not control their antics. Justin and Chris would fan themselves, pretending to be hot and bothered. Joey and Lance pretended to wipe tears from their eyes. And JC, well JC, could not take his eyes off of Ana.

I’ve got a real thing here by my side
someone who needs me holding me tight
and these special feelings won’t ever fade
cause I knew from the start
you put a move on my heart

She made her way back to her microphone stand, serenading the audience. The crowd swayed to the bluesy music and were captivated by the siren onstage.

baby our loves like a melody playing for us
in the sweetest key, you could find the music of life
and when we touch there’s the warmest glow
heat in the passion that heaven knows it’s a dream
just for you, you and me...and baby I know

I’ve got a real thing the love of my life
someone who needs me and he feels me with pride
baby now, now and forever, we'll never part
cause you're the world to me
you put a move on my heart

As the song built up, Ana’s voice grew louder and stronger. Everyone sat on the edge of their seats as she delivered.

I got a real love yes I do, and you're someone baby
you're someone baby, you’re someone that needs true love
and these, these special feelings, time can embrace
baby, believe me this ain’t a dream and sugar
I knew, I knew from the start, you put a move on me
oooh you got through to my heart
you got through to my heart babe oooh

Her attention returned to the guys as they clapped her on.

baby can’t you see, you and I were meant to be
hold me, love me passionately blind, love me til the end of time
hold me, love me ( and dont love go)
baby cant you see, you and i were meant to be
(i want you to touch me babe) passionately blind
love me til the end of time, hold me love me oooh

i want you right here, right now, laying by my side sugar thrill me tonight
i wanna feel you in my arms ohh babe ohhh and u know i love when your lovin me

She bowed as the final chords silenced, and the audience rose to their feet. She joined the applause, cheering on the boys. A small blush rose to her cheeks as Joey and Chris whistled at her. The guys were ushered onstage and she hugged each of them as the audience settled down.  

“Ana Mora! Give it up one more time! Thank you!” Joey’s voice filled the hall as he was handed a microphone. Ana smiled and waved once more. She knew it would be the boys’ turn to perform before being presented with a plaque for their doings, so she bowed out and stepped off stage. She continued to cheer them on until she was backstage.

Stagehands quickly ushered her to the backstage press area. Waiting for her turn to go on the platform, she smiled as she saw the boys rush offstage and head towards a dressing room. A smile automatically covered her mouth, and she braced her eyes for the ambush of flashing lights. 

“Ana! Ana! Ana!” The photographers called for her attention. She tried to turn to every one of them, but there were too many. She maintained the smile on her face, but her body was on automatic. She felt numb to time as it passed by. She was doing this out of habit. 

In that moment, in front of hundreds of reporters, photographers, and fans, Ana was hit a realization that chilled her body to the core. It brought a tremble to her fingers, and a quiver to her insides. Her heart skipped a beat, and her lungs struggled to take a deep breath. 

For the first time in more than five years, she didn’t crave this life. She didn’t feel the same excitement in her veins. The same anticipation was absent. Her body was here, but her mind and heart were elsewhere. They were up in that house in the Hollywood Hills that awaited its owners to return. 

To fill it with love once more.

 

****

Song Credit:

"You Put A Move on My Heart" -- Tamia

Chapter End Notes:
review! review! review! review! pls! pls! pls! pls!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers interracial missionary girlontop love firsttime nsasync tour boyfriendjc celebritysync tourjc