Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey lovelies!

I'm back with another chapter!  Again, I don't think I can possibly thank you all enough for the wonderful reviews and comments!  I am so thrilled by the response to this story!  You're all wonderful!

Happy Belated Birthday to the man himself, Mr. JT.

Also, if any of you are on Twitter...come say hi! :)  @BDistraction  I'm usually always hanging around!

Now, on with the new chapter and some good news, I am 3/4 of the way finished with the next update...and whoa, things take a turn, well...they're heating up a bit...so let me know what you think?! 

Finally, as usual, I don't know Justin or any of that good stuff...sad!  Anyways though, heart you all and here's the new chapter...

Chapter 7

 

Justin's POV

 

The afternoon sun has been blocked by the cotton clouds, drenching the mountain in an omniscient gray tone all day.  The wind has been starkly quiet, only gently wafting through the area in bursts but nothing to make the day miserably cold.  I have been sequestered on the mountain for a couple of hours, just enjoying the time alone and basking in the powder.  I'm starting to think my love for boarding is taking over my life...maybe I should reconsider moving out to Colorado instead of LA. 

 

As I ride another chair lift to the top, I pop my goggles over my eyes and set them on my forehead.  My eyes immediately wander around the hill, for a weekday, the hill is relatively quiet, and I'm thankful for that.  After the craziness from the prelims, I am ready just to get my hill back with the locals.

 

Maybe part of the reason I am ready for things to get back to normal is the fact that I haven't seen Taylor since Saturday night.  It's not that I have been avoiding her, that's quite the opposite actually.  I have been looking for any chance to hang out again, and I realize how screwed up that is in my head.  The last thing I need right now is to get attached to someone that I will have no opportunity to be there for once I leave.  But things just kind of feel different with her.  She's not watching me, looking for an opportunity to jump me or trap me in a situation that could blow up in my face faster than I can even blink.  Maybe she is and I am too blind to see it...I always seem to turn a blind eye when it comes to a woman that I am attracted to.  But even with that knowledge, knowing that's how I usually operate, things still feel different with her.

 

The fact that we haven't spoken for a couple days, she's not randomly calling, texting, or even showing up at my house.  It's like she's disappeared for the time being and that has me feeling extremely anxious...more so than I would have thought. 

 

Sighing, I realize I am reaching the top of the hill and I quickly place my goggles back over my eyes, shielding me from view of the other skiers.  Quickly, I disembark from the chairlift, balancing on the board before gliding to a halt.  Sitting down on the snow, I snap the bindings back in place before standing back up and hopping near the edge.

 

Just as I am about to take off down another run, my phone vibrates in my pocket.  Swiftly, I whip off my mitten, fingering the contraption and placing it up to my ear.

 

"Hello?" I answer, maneuvering myself towards one of the further entrance points and away from others.

 

"About damn time I catch you," Trace bellows into the line and I can't help but laugh at his impatience.

 

"I didn't know I had to check in, dad," I joke, leaning up against one of the fences.

 

"Shut it," he says quickly.  "So how's Colorado?  Tired of the cold, yet?"

 

"Surprisingly no."

 

"What have you been doing all by yourself?" he asks, and I can't help the smile at the thought that I haven't really been alone at all.

 

"Actually I met someone, man."

 

There's an audible sigh into the phone and I cringe at his non-verbal reaction.  "Please tell me you're joking.  Have you already forgotten the bullshit Jessica did to you?"

 

I mentally chastise myself.  Of course I haven't forgotten, just the mention of her name brings a stinging pain to my chest, remembering the way she so easily maneuvered her way into my life.  I never even questioned how fast we were moving, it all felt natural.  God, how I was wrong.  I fell for her games, I fell for her lies, and I fell hard for her.  "No, I haven't forgotten, Trace."

 

"Well then, why the fuck are you getting into another relationship out there?"

 

"I'm not in a relationship.  I never said that," I sigh, rubbing my hand over my brows.  "It's not like that with her."

 

"What do you mean?  Who is she?"

 

"Taylor Jordan."  The minute her name falls from my lips, I can't stop the smile that tugs at my lips. 

 

"The Olympian?" Trace asks incredulously.

 

I laugh at the way he addresses her.  Although she's a world-renowned skier, heading for the Olympics in just two months, I don't see her like that.  Well, I do...it's just...there's more.  She's Taylor.  The girl who laughs at my jokes, who likes to make fun of the fact that I snowboard, and can bring a smile and ease to my life that I've needed for a while now.

 

"Yeah, that's her."

 

"Well, damn, she's gorgeous, man.  Not to mention, she can fucking rip it up on the slopes."

 

I laugh at the way he so easily accepts her now, just the name changes it all.  "Yeah, she definitely can.  I actually caught the race that was just here...she won it."

 

"Nice!  So, you two have been hanging out?  One superstar to the other."

 

I groan.  I hate it when he calls me that, and he knows it.  "Yeah, well we met on the slopes the other day and she's been over.  It's good to have some company..."

 

"Listen, dude, I am glad that you have someone to chill with.  Just be careful, alright.  This isn't just some random girl.  This is Taylor Jordan, she comes with her own following, and if the press gets wind of this...even if you guys are just friends...it's going to blow up."

 

I sigh, realizing how right Trace is, but not willing to fully admit that my relationship with Taylor could quite possibly explode in my face and hers.  "I'll be careful."

 

"I know you will.  Alright, well, I just wanted to call, see how you're holding up."

 

"Sounds good, man.  I'll give you a buzz later or something."

 

"Alright.  Bye, Justin," he says before the line goes dead.

 

Even though our conversation was brief, Trace has given me a lot to think about, to contemplate.  Shoving my phone into my pocket, I throw my mitten back on.  As much as I should, I don't want to analyze what little of a relationship Taylor and I have developed.  It's all so new to me, it's comfort, and I'm not willing to throw that away because it may or might not come to light eventually.  Besides, am I willing to just walk away from the fact that Taylor makes me feel things I haven't felt in a long time?  As ridiculous as it sounds, she makes me feel safe.  I don't question everything about her.  She's just Taylor, and that's more than enough for me.

 

Hitching my board, I turn the tip down the hill and easily start the ride back down to the bottom.  Curving effortlessly in and out of the ridges, riding the powder and absorbing the bumps along the way.  My mind loses all sense of worry and it's just me and the hill in that moment.  As I come to a screeching halt at the bottom, blowing snow up at my sudden stop, I bend over, unbuckling the binding.  Maneuvering towards the line for the lift, I keep my eyes locked on the ground, not really willing to make eye contact with anyone.  Just as I am about to sit down on the lift, another skier slides in next to me and judging by the red Rossignol skis in my line of sight, I now exactly who has just shown up.

 

"Funny meeting you again," he voice carries through the air, making me smile in the process.

 

I turn towards her and immediately I am hit with the image of her long, blonde hair poking out underneath her hat and wrapping securely around her face.  The faintest hint of wind burn is stinging her cheeks, making them a rosy, red color.  Her blue eyes are shining brightly amidst the overcast skis, and it's really great to see her after a couple of days.

 

"You know, that's three times that you have snuck up on me at the chairlift.  I'm starting to think you're actually stalking me," I joke, a teasing tone to my voice.

 

"Need I remind you who has shown up on my side of the hill prior a couple of times.  I think it's the other way around, Justin."

 

I laugh at both of us.  Clearly we enjoy each other's company since we're constantly seeking the other out.  "If you wanted to spend time with me, all you had to do was ask."

 

"Right back at ya."  She laughs and I find myself joining in right along with her.  "So, what are you up to today?"

 

I flip my board like the answer is obvious.  "Just enjoying the serenity of the hill now that all of your people have taken off."

 

She scoffs at me.

 

"What about you?" I ask, motioning towards her and her casual gear.  Clearly she's not out here racing today.

 

"Just getting in a few runs."

 

"Want some company?" I ask, feeling a bit of a thrill to hang out with her again. It's been a while since I have seen her and if I'm honest, I kind of miss her.

 

"I would...you know where I can find some?" she jokes, a broad smile on her face.  Gently, she nudges me with her shoulder and I laugh.  "I'm kidding.  You'll do."

 

I try to feign the fact that she just made a jab at me but I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face to act angry.  As we approach the top, we get off together and she skids to a stop, allowing me to buckle my boot into my board. 

 

"Ready?" I ask, standing up and hopping closer to her.

 

"Hmmm...let's make this interesting at least."

 

"What do you mean?" I ask, having no clue what she's possibly getting at. 

 

Her eyes scan the hill before coming to land on me, a mischievous look on her face.  "Well, let's see if you can keep up with me, Justin.  You know, you always brag that boarders are better than skiers...time to pony up," she explains, leaning forward on her poles.

 

The corners of my lips twitch in amusement and, after that challenge, there's no way I am backing down, not when she thinks she can so easily beat me.  "You want to race for money?" I ask in disbelief.

 

"Money?" she echoes.  "No way, that's boring.  I don't want your money, not now, not ever."

 

Even a bet, something so stupid, brings out a truth that settles me and leaves me reeling with happiness inside.  Although I never would have asked her, she just offered a piece of information that solidifies the fact that she is absolutely different than anyone I have met in a long time.

 

"Then what do you want to race for?" I ask, moving my board closer to the edge, getting ready to jump the gun the second she says go.

 

"Answers..." she breathes out, a cloudy haze surrounding us from her warm breath.  "You beat me, you can ask me anything you want and I'll answer.  And vice versa, I beat you, and you have to dish out the dirt too."

 

"Sounds like an even trade..." I answer, a little hesitant as to what secrets I might have to reveal.  Although, thinking logically, if I beat her every time, she's the one who has to answer the question.  "Not at this hill though, too many people around...first race, is down here, over through the trees and up the hill to the other side.  First one to the chairlift wins.  Questions are asked and answered on the lift where no one else can hear."

 

"Deal," she answers and before she knows what's happening, I have already kicked my board forward, heading straight towards the gateway between the trees.

 

My board is flying easily across the snow, making minimal turns, just enough to gain control but not enough to slow my speed.  As I make my way through the trees, I hear the grinding of skis on the snow behind me, realizing Taylor is close.  I tuck my body into itself, trying to be as aerodynamic as possible as I go up the short hill and onto the other hill.  Approaching the lift, my hand snaps against one of the poles just as Taylor skids to a halt, right behind me.  I won.

 

"You cheated..." she says, her breathing rapid.

 

"I did no such thing.  I merely saw an opportunity and capitalized on it," I explain, unsnapping a binding and getting in line with her. 

 

"This is your one and only win, Timberlake," she says, the last part almost a whisper.

 

The two of us quickly get on the chair and are hoisted up the mountain.  "Alright, Taylor, since I clearly beat you out there..." I begin and she scoffs at me.  "What's one thing you have to do before each race?"

 

She ponders the question for a second, before finally answering, "I have to listen to "Eye of the Tiger" on my iPod.  I will not race until I hear it."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah, I don't know, it gets me in the mindset, reminding me why I am doing what I am doing in the first place."

 

I nod my head appreciatively and the two of us get off at the shorter hill.  As we come to a halt at the drop-off, she eyes me skeptically, watching to see if I am going to "cheat" again. 

 

"Relax, I'm playing fair," I answer her questioning stare and smile at her.  "On three...one...two...three."

 

Both of us fly over the edge at the same time, pumping our legs trying to gain speed.  We're practically neck-and-neck, the entire way down but suddenly another skier comes right into my line and I have to shoot my board out, slowing my speed so that I don't connect with them.  I watch as Taylor goes zipping right by me, knowing full well, she's won this one.

 

After finally making my way down the rest of the hill, I pout my way up next to her and get on the lift.  "Completely unfair, and you know it."

 

"Karma, Justin, karma," she says matter-of-factly.  "Alright, my turn, what's one thing you wish you had up here in Colorado?"

 

"That's easy...my recording studio."

 

"Really?" she asks, swinging her left ski slightly.

 

"Yeah, definitely, I have so much time on my hand.  I've been writing here and there, just getting ideas.  But when I get in the studio, everything just flows out.  Normally, I don't even write down my lyrics when I get going.  But since I can't do that up here...I write."

 

"Wow, that's really great, Justin.  I haven't met many guys that admit to writing..."

 

I laugh.  "It's my job.  But at the same time, it's like therapy.  I don't know, music has always had this ability to cheer me up, bring me down, make me laugh, make me forget...everything just kind of revolves around it for me."

 

"So do you miss it?"

 

I sigh, even though I realize that this vacation is absolutely vital for my health, I know there's more to it.  "Absolutely, I do.  But it's nothing that can't wait a couple of months, you know, let the madness settle down in LA."

 

"What happened in LA?"  I mean, I know you said that you got worked over by a girl..."

 

"I believe you'll have to win another race to get the answer to that question, Taylor," I tease as we get off at the top this time.

 

"Alright, new race route," she says as we come to a slow crawl near the top, allowing me time to buckle in my bindings.  "Down here, off to the hill on the right, and over to the other chairlift.  First one there, wins."

 

"On three," I call out and we both take off down the hill when I reach the end of the countdown. 

 

The run is considerably longer, and I find Taylor pulling away from me just slightly.  Knowing I need to gain some speed, I choose not to turn the board as often and suddenly I catch an edge.  The board seizes underneath me, jolting my body forward almost instantly, and I go flying forward, crashing face first into the hill.  The snow shoots up in a powdery dust, my head nearly snapping against the ground but I manage to avoid that.  My hands are out in front of me, sliding across the hill, trying to slow my crash and bring everything to a halt.  As the haze surrounding me starts to settle and I slow to a stop, I immediately move my legs and arms, hoping that everything is still in working condition.

 

"Holy shit!  Justin, are you ok?" Taylor yells from further down the hill.

 

As soon as I have confirmation that everything is still in working order, I sit up, reaching to right myself on the hill.  Suddenly, my eyes catch Taylor's from afar and she's already unbuttoning her skis, pounding her boots into the ground as she climbs the distance up towards me.

 

"Are you ok?" she asks, panic clearly in her voice as she drops to her knees next to me.  Her hands immediately draw themselves to my face, cupping my cheeks in her hands while her eyes rapidly flutter across my face.  "Are you hurt?  Is anything broken?"

 

I laugh at her concern and regret it when the pain shoots through my back.  "Just my pride..."

 

A soft smile creeps over her face and her eyes land squarely on my own.  "I think we're done racing for now...what do you think?"

 

"I think you're just quitting because I was going to beat you."

 

She laughs lightly at me.  "After that fall, I'll let you believe whatever you want.  Are you sure you're ok?  That was a pretty nasty one," she says, dropping her hands from my face and sitting back on her legs to propel herself up.

 

I manage to maneuver myself upright next to her.  "I caught an edge back there and just couldn't recover."

 

"How about we head in?  You're going to be pretty sore tonight and definitely tomorrow."

 

"Yeah, you're probably right," I answer, my voice crestfallen with disappointment.  It seems like this was the only way for us to really get to know one another, without the guards or ability to deflect a question that was nagging one of us.  "Still, I wanted to beat you..."

 

"We'll leave it for another day, Justin.  I promise, you can race me another time."

 

As we make our way down the hill, Taylor quickly clips back into her skis and we glide leisurely to the chalet.  Neither of us wanting to press the limits again today, one fall is enough.  It's better that it was me, at least.  She has the Olympics soon, it's foolish when something so important is coming up for her, I can't imagine what would happen had she been the one to get hurt. 

 

Gathering our gear from inside and hoisting our skis and board up, we walk back into the parking lot.  My body already starting to feel the soreness from the crash a bit ago.  In fact, my shells have more snow down them than I care to think about, and I'm starting to get cold. 

 

"You sure you're ok, Justin?  Maybe you should come over to my house; I can take care of ya.  Seriously, I have crashed and burned so many times, you're going to need someone later..."

 

A soft smile pulls at my lips; she cares.  "I don't have anything extra with me and I have more snow down my jacket and pants than I ever expected.  So, I need to go home, for sure."

 

"Would it be easier if I just swung up there then?" she asks, nothing but concern shining in her eyes. 

 

"Yeah, just bring some things up to my house.  That way you can watch me gimp around the rest of the night with a bruised ego and hurt pride."

 

"If it makes you feel any better, you did it with style, Justin."

 

I wrap my arm around her shoulder, pulling her in close to me.  "Well at least I'm good for one thing."


 
Chapter End Notes:

Up next...a little TLC...

Thoughts?  Comments?  Questions?  You're all the best!

Love to you all!  

-BD



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love celebrityj ski olympics tabloids paparazzi