Author's Chapter Notes:

Hi Everyone!  It's been forever.  I have no excuse other than I needed to take a step back and recharge my batteries.  I have missed writing and I have missed these two a great deal.  So, I am back and feeling pretty good about what's ahead in the story.  Things are definitely picking up.  :)

I can't post without offering my Congratulations to Justin & Jessica.  Wishing you nothing but happiness!

I hope you all enjoy the new chapter.  Let me know what you think?  You guys keep me on track and writing, so thank you! :)

Chapter 18

 

Justin's POV

 

The sun has begun to creep up over the mountain, its light basking the sweeping hills in all its glory.  A few shimmering waves cresting over the hill can be seen from atop the chairlift as it continues its steady climb upward.    There's a chill that immediately whips through with the wind, snapping any kind of sense of serenity fooled by the beauty of the landscape.  It's cold, bitterly cold.

 

Snapping my board up underneath my feet, I grab hold of the edge of the chair and slide off the seat smoothly.  Grabbing a spot on the makeshift bench, I buckle my feet into the board and linger on the bench for a second.

 

It's been almost a week and a half since Taylor and I returned from California and exactly a week and a half since I last spoke to her.  To say that Rob was mad at us would be the understatement of the century.  He's made it abundantly clear that me getting in between Taylor and her training is not an option while he's around...and to be honest, I don't blame him one damn bit.  The World Cup starts in two days for Taylor, and now is the time to focus, get her head in the game, and prove to the world just how hard she's worked for the past several years.  Although selfishly, I miss her presence both on and off the hill, I have respected the fact that Taylor has a job to do and she doesn't need anyone getting in the way of that. 

 

While I have made it a point to back off and allow Taylor the space needed, she's reached out to me in a few texts, letting me know how busy things have gotten.  My favorite text was a quick picture of herself hauling her ski equipment up the hill as a punishment for our impromptu vacation.  Other than the occasional text, that has been the extent of my communication with her, and I am really starting to miss her.  It doesn't help that her flight leaves tonight for Austria and it will be several days before I am able to see her again.

 

Finally, I kick away from the bench and meander towards the edge of the hill, waiting to plummet to the bottom.  I secure my goggles over my head and jump towards the edge, straightening my board out and begin the descent.  The wind, the chill in the air, and the sound of snow cutting against my board, it's been my life for weeks now, and I can't imagine leaving soon. 

 

I spend the entire morning and afternoon out on the slopes, just taking in the anonymity and enjoying the fresh powder that came late last night.  Despite my intention of staying out on the hill for most of the night it was the text that I received around four o'clock that has me packing up and heading back home.

 

Be at your house 5:30, want to say bye.

 

I smile, knowing I will finally get a chance to be with Taylor again.  If I'm being honest, Taylor has become a huge part of my happiness here.  I don't know what that means for when I go back to California, but for now, I am content to let things play out the way they are.

 

As I make the turn up the hill back towards my house, I spot the familiar SUV in the driveway and its driver is leaning up against the hood of the car.  Swiftly, I pull into the spot next to Taylor's car and kill the engine.

 

"About damn time, Timberlake, I don't have all night," she quips, a smile adorning her face.  Damn, I missed that smile.

 

I laugh.  "A little warning next time, Jordan, and I will make sure I am available at your command."

 

She giggles before walking over to me and wrapping her arms around my neck.  I inhale the vanilla sweet scent that I instantly recognize as Taylor.  Squeezing her gently before letting her go, I take a step back and smile.

 

"I am leaving at ten o'clock tonight, I was hoping we could spend the evening together before I take off," she says, a hint of shyness in her voice while holding up a movie.

 

Nodding my head, I grab my bag from the backseat and swing it up on my shoulder.  "Absolutely, I'm glad you were just able to come over here.  Rob let you loose for a day?"

 

Together we walk side-by-side towards the house and step inside.  "Rob has no clue I am here.  To his knowledge, I am spending my free hours packing everything up.  I have to meet him at nine o'clock back at my house."

 

"Are you all ready to go for tomorrow?" I ask, throwing my bag near the closet before walking further into the house.

 

"Yes, I spent the last few days getting everything together.  I wanted to make sure I had time to say goodbye before I left," she answers, following me into the kitchen and pulling up a stool.

 

I throw open the refrigerator and reach for a couple bottles of water, knowing Taylor probably shouldn't be drinking anything else.  I toss her a bottle and smile.  "I'm really glad you're here," I answer honestly.

 

She twists the cap and takes a drink.  "Me too."

 

"Well, what'd you bring?" I ask, motioning towards the movie she set on the counter.

 

"Future Sex/Love Show - Madison Square Garden."

 

I nearly choke on my water.  "You're kidding, right?"

 

She laughs before standing up and walking towards the living room.  "What?  I haven't ever seen you in concert."

 

I follow behind.  "There is no way I am going to sit here while you watch my concert."

 

Sitting down on the couch, she tosses me the DVD in her hand.  "Calm down, it's just Back to the Future."

 

I give her an accusing look before sliding in the movie and throwing myself down next to her.  As the opening credits begin to flicker across the screen, I take notice of the black nylon pants that are adorning her long legs, all the way up to the red sweatshirt that covers her arms, and how her hair is piled loosely on top of her head.  She looks beautiful, just being herself.

 

"Are you ready for the World Cup?" I ask, not really caring about the movie at all.  I just want to spend time with Taylor, whether that's watching a movie or talking.

 

She takes a deep breath before sliding her blue eyes towards me, and I can tell she's excited for what lies ahead.  "Yeah, I am.  I've never been more prepared for a race than I am going into this one.  While it's not the Olympics, it's pretty much the closest thing I am going to get towards it.  All the same racers will be there, all the same courses."

 

I nod my head, not really fully understanding how these races are orchestrated.  "And these races give you the final rankings before the Olympics."

 

Taylor shifts, turning her body towards me while tucking her legs up underneath her.  "Yeah, depending on how well I do, this will determine ranking and probability of gold in Vancouver."

 

"No pressure or anything."

 

She smiles.  "Exactly." 

 

"So, what's in store for you when you get there?"

 

"A ton of press junkets right away.  I'll meet up with my other teammates, check into our lodge, and then head straight to press," she answers, scrunching up her nose.  She's not a big fan of the formal questions.

 

"Hopefully it won't be too bad." 

 

"I would rather just hit the slopes right away; get a feel for the snow, for the mountain."

 

"Understandable."

 

A deep sigh escapes her lips and she tilts her head toward me.  "What are your plans for the week?  Hitting the slopes here?"

 

"Definitely will be spending time on the mountain.  I might have my buddy fly up here as well.  It's been quite a while since I last saw him and he's been on my ass lately.  So, I might appease him just to stop his badgering."

 

She laughs, and it's that sound that I will most the most.  "Don't punish him too bad on the slopes while I'm away."

 

"Right.  Well, I have to keep practicing so that I can beat you when you get back."

 

"You want to race again?  Didn't you learn your lesson the last time?"

 

"I have to get back some of my pride.  Hopefully I don't crash and burn again."

 

She smiles.  "When I get back, we'll definitely have a day out there again."

 

"Good.  I'll hold you to it," I tell her, knowing that spending time with her has quickly become an important part of my life.  She gets me.  We live such different lives and yet there's a kinship, a bond, that I never would have guessed was possible until that day she literally skied into my life.  Taylor is unlike any other girl I have ever dated.  She's carefree, protective, and thoroughly dedicated to her craft.  There is no underlying motive or agenda with her.  She gives her friendship and loyalty with only one expectation in return, and that's to get that some respect back.

 

It's in that moment I realize that I could, and very well might be, falling for Taylor.

 

"I have something for you," I tell her, before standing up and walking into the bedroom to grab a small present for her.

 

During the past week, I had been worried whether or not I would get an opportunity to give her a gift before she left for the World Cup.  After reading her memory book in California, I realized how important those mementos and tokens are to Taylor.  They help ground her and keep her focused on her goals, which is why I finally figured out what to give her before she left. 

 

Grabbing the small jar wrapped in a box, I walk back into the living room and sit down next to Taylor.  She immediately eyes the package in my hands with a little trepidation.

 

"Justin, you did not need to get me anything."

 

I quickly brush her concern away.  "I wanted to, besides, it's just a little something to remind you of home while you're in Austria."  I hand it over but not without giving her explicit instructions first.  "Don't open that until you get there."

 

She eyes me skeptically. 

 

"Please, it won't make much sense until you're there anyway."

 

"You really didn't need to do this.  Thank you, Justin.  It really means a lot to me."

 

I sit back on the couch, happy that she took it without much of a fight.  "You're welcome."

 

Together, the two of us lounge back into the couch, our focus back on the movie.  With each scene that flashes by on the screen, it's another minute and hour that slips away before Taylor has to leave.  I always knew she would be leaving, that she had the World Cup coming up, I guess I never realized how much having her presence around was beginning to mean to me.  Although she will be back, it bothers me that I can't be there to support her in person, or that I can't cheer her on from the finish line.  This race is the last step until the greatest stage in the world.  What she is about to do makes standing up and singing at Madison Square Garden look like child's play.  

 

It's in that moment that I realize I am in awe of the strength and determination that resides in Taylor to go after a dream of achieving an Olympic medal. 

 

Suddenly, Taylor pipes in breaking off my thoughts, "What's got you looking so serious over there?"

 

I smile, knowing that if I voice what I was just thinking, it will only serve to embarrass Taylor.  "Nothing, just thinking about your races coming up."

 

"Well, stop," she says, playfully shoving me, "you'll make me nervous."

 

I laugh.  "I'm sorry, I'll let it drop."

 

"Good," she jokes.  Suddenly, she shifts her legs and faces me.  "I haven't even been around much since we came back from California.  Has there been any kind of backlash from our run in with Jessica at the restaurant?"

 

I shake my head.  "Not much, a few texts, which isn't out of the ordinary, threatening me to return and call her."

 

"How can you stand it?"

 

"As sad as it is to say this, I'm used to it at this point.  As long as I am thousands of miles away from her, I can find a way to deal with it.  It's certainly not ideal, but it gives me a chance to think rationally about the whole thing."

 

"You shouldn't have to deal with this, no one does," Taylor says, a hint of annoyance and frustration coming through her voice.

 

I sigh, knowing it's not Taylor's issue, but feeling the strength of having her on my side nonetheless.  "I'll find a way out of this...I've got to."

 

"When I get back, we'll figure it out."

 

"You have the Olympics after this...I think you have bigger things to deal with."

 

"You're important to me, Justin.  I'm through putting my career ahead of the people in my life.  I've made that mistake before and I won't keep repeating the cycle.  We can figure this out around my schedule for the games too."

 

I can't help but smile at her declaration, despite still knowing I won't allow her to get caught up in the dysfunction of my life.  "Don't worry, Taylor, she can't do anything while I'm out here anyway."

 

"Good, maybe you'll have to move out here permanently then."

 

I chuckle.  "I have to give up the rental property at the end of February, unfortunately."

 

"Well, you can move into my house then."

 

I raise my eyebrows.  "We're moving in with each other now?"

 

She blushes and it's the most adorable thing I have seen in a while, especially on someone so strong willed as Taylor. 

 

"You know what I mean," Taylor hedges.

 

Just then her cell phone starts ringing, breaking the moment and releasing Taylor from having to explain anything any further.  Grabbing the small phone from her pocket, she silences the ringing before looking up at me.

 

"I set an alarm to warn me when I needed to leave.  Rob doesn't know I am up here and I don't think you or I need to get on his bad side anymore," she explains.

 

I laugh.  "No, definitely not."

 

She tucks her phone back into her sweatshirt and grabs my present before standing up.  "I have to go, Justin."

 

I reluctantly stand, not wanting the night to come to an end so soon.  "I get it."

 

She gives me a half-hearted smile before taking a deep breath.  "I'll be thinking about you while I'm there.  Wish me luck?"

 

Her nervousness is apparent in her goodbye and suddenly it dawns on me that letting her leave the same way she came in here is not an option.  Things with Taylor have never been merely about friendship for a while now, and it takes her leaving, knowing I can't be there, for me to realize that she means more to me than just a snow hill buddy.  I grab the present and gently set it down on the couch before taking Taylor's hands into my own.  I can feel a small tremble in her tiny hands and I don't know if it's all her own or an extension of mine.

 

"I don't think you need any luck, Taylor.  You are more than ready to show the world you're a force to be reckoned with.  You're going to be great, and I can't wait to see you and celebrate when you get back."

 

She smiles, gently squeezing my hands, unknowingly giving me the strength to make the next move.  Slowly, I pull her hands to my sides, releasing them to wrap my arms around her waist.  With her trapped in my arms, I can feel the steady rise and fall of her chest, the short intakes of breath escaping from her lips, and the wide, bright blue gaze pulling me in.

 

"I'll miss you, but I'll be damned if I am going to let you walk out of here without kissing you first." 

 

And with no hesitation, I lower my head and press my lips firmly against hers. 

 

Her shock is evident, the small gasp, the intake of breath, and the rigidness in her stance are all tell-tale signs.  But just when I think I might have gone too far, she slowly begins to mesh her lips to mine and deepen the kiss. 

 

Her hands sink deeper into my back, pulling me closer and I can't help but respond, because damn if this isn't exactly what I have wanted to do for some time now.  Gently, her lips part and her tongue snakes out to brush against my lower lip.  That one little gesture is enough to unlock the flood gates that I have been holding so tight to my chest since I started feeling an attraction to Taylor.

 

I shift my head, bringing my hand up to gently cup the side of her neck and pull her closer.  As I start to feel myself spinning out off control, her phone loudly rings again, jolting us away from each other. 

 

She is staring up at me, a dazed look in her eyes and her lips swollen from the kiss.  A feeling of complete possessiveness flows through my veins knowing I am responsible for that look, and I love it.  She's beautiful.

 

"I really have to get going, Justin," she stammers, once again grabbing the present and shuffling toward the door. 

 

I nod my head since words are completely failing me at the moment.

 

"Thank you again," she says, lifting the box upward before turning the handle and opening the door.

 

"You're welcome," I respond, thankful that my voice held.

 

"I'll see you when I get back."

 

I take a few steps toward her, closing the distance before leaning down and kissing her cheek.  "Be safe, Taylor."

 

That adorable blush heats her cheeks one last time before she nods her head and disappears into the cold night.

 

I watch as she hops into her vehicle and backs out of the driveway, before slowly closing the door.  Leaning against the wood frame, I can still feel the softness of her lips, the curve of her neck, and the heat of her body from just a few moments ago.  It lingers in my head, playing in a continuous loop, and I can't wait until she comes back.  Because things with Taylor have certainly changed and there's no going back, even if I wanted to.

Chapter End Notes:

He couldn't let her leave without making a move!  :)

What'd you think?


Incomplete
Beautiful_Distraction is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 20 members. Members who liked Lucky Me also liked 749 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love celebrityj ski olympics tabloids paparazzi