Author's Chapter Notes:

**Steps out from the cobwebs**

I know, I super suck at life apparently!  :)  I am so sorry that I took so long to update this story, I don't blame you if you want to throw stones.  I won't make this long, just a huge, super-big thank you to those of you that are still reading.  Your support and reviews mean so much to me!

Also, I was just on the homepage and saw the beautiful comments from azchickadee & Whit4J about LM.  Thank you so unbelievably much!  That was such a suprise to see and I was so taken aback by the support!  Thank you, both!

Again, I don't know Justin...however, I wish I was in Vegas right about now!

Chapter 14

 

Justin's POV

 

The fact that I allowed, even for a brief moment, the situation with Jessica, the press, and our infamous break-up to overshadow my limited time in California with Taylor has certainly been eating at me.  I hate the fact that she still has some control, some power to influence myself and everything around me.  That's one of the reasons we broke up...I wanted my life back and yet, she still influences it...in her cruel, sick kind of way.

 

Three years ago, when I first started dating her, I never would have guessed what was to come.  How cruel, vindictive, and selfish she could be...how was I so blind not to see her true intentions?  Each day, the anger grows a little more and although I know the more I let her control me, the more she will...I can't seem to let it go.  Jessica took everything I ever gave, all my trust, my love, and my devotion, only to throw it back in my face with heavy dose of acid for the sting. 

 

Thus, blowing up yesterday, the anger coiling in my veins like a snake, I realize just how pivotal Taylor was to easing the situation.  She might not understand the situation or even comprehend how ugly my life can get, but none of that matters to her.  Taylor never prods, never assumes, and never pushes for an explanation I am struggling to find.  The more I am around her, the more I realize that Taylor isn't the same as the others.  She's everything Jessica is not.  And I need to figure out what that means.

 

As I round the corner of my kitchen, I start to ascend the stairs towards my room and the room conveniently across the hall...the one that currently houses Taylor.  It's been two days in California, two days of getting to know one another without any outside influences, two days of just spending time with each other, and two days that have flown by way too fast.  I realize that our time in California is coming to a close and that we must return to Colorado soon but I can't help but be a little disappointed of our return.  Taylor won't be just right across the hall anymore, she'll be across town, and I can already feel the loss just thinking about it.

 

Quickly I make my way down the hall, giving a gentle knock against the wooden door that leads to Taylor's room and before I can even fidget nervously, she appears in the doorway.  Clad in a pair of dark skinny jeans, a long, ribbed, red sweater that ends mid-thigh, a pair of black heels, and her long hair curled around her face, she nearly takes my breath away. 

 

"Wow," I breathe out, my voice barely finding any strength.  Coughing, I try to cover up my slip and pick my jaw up off the floor.  "I mean, you look...well...you look..."

 

Her crooked smile is the only thing I can focus on and her bright blue eyes are shimmering in amusement as I stumble to regain my composure. 

 

"You look beautiful, Taylor."

 

She smiles broadly before taking a step out of the room and closing the door behind her.  "Thank you.  Are you ready to go?"

 

"Yeah, just give me a second to grab a couple things in my room."  Turning away from her, I take a moment to just collect my thoughts as I walk into my room.  Never before has a girl nearly left me speechless and so taken aback in a moment that my brain is firing faster than my mouth can respond.  I'm not blind to Taylor's beauty but with the added time spent together, her friendship alone has drawn me that much closer, and I'm starting to wonder if I am beginning to blur the line between friendship and relationship.

 

Glancing around my room, I realize I should probably get back out there before Taylor starts to wonder about my whereabouts.  Reaching for my cell phone, I tuck it into my jeans followed by my wallet and quickly snap on my watch.  With one last look in the mirror, I head out, shutting off the lights as I go.

 

"You ready?" I ask, coming to a halt in the foyer where Taylor is patiently waiting for me.

 

"You sure about this...no paps?" she asks hesitantly.  Despite all my efforts to shield Taylor from the prying eyes of the cameras, she still worries.  Whether it's for her own personal privacy or my own, she cares enough to make sure I am ok with everything, never wanting to assume or intrude. 

 

I reach for the final light in the hall way, flicking it off before opening the door and leading Taylor out the doorway.  "I am absolutely sure.  I promise, no cameras, no interruptions...just a nice dinner."

 

As we head out the alleyway and through the hills, I can't help but find myself basking in the serenity and peace that surrounds us.  The sun is setting off in the horizon, its rays cascading the last bit of warmth on the road ahead of us before the night settles in.  The ride throughout the hills, the twists and turns are all made in compatible silence, the only sound is the gentle undertones of the music, mixing and blending with the soft cadence of our breathing.  Taylor's long curls are shielding her face from view, yet the illumination from the dash is creating a mask around her features, almost creating a haze around her face.  Trying to dislodge my train of thought from taking things any further, I reach for the radio, flipping it carelessly until landing on another station.

 

Rounding another corner, I begin the ascent up the hills towards the restaurant.  "How did you find this place again?" Taylor asks, breaking the silence, and I shift in my seat.

 

"My friend Trace, whom you should meet sometime, actually introduced me to it.  It's a Mexican restaurant that is tucked away up in the hills, fairly secluded from the chaos down below."

 

"Sounds good..."

 

"Taylor, have you been to California before?  I'm starting to think this is your first time."

 

She laughs lightly, a smile adorning her lips.  "Nah, it's just when I am out here, it's always press.  I never come to see the sights, enjoy the weather, or take in the local cuisine.  It's all business for me out here."

 

I nod my head, knowing how true that statement is.  "Most of the time for me, too...but since I call this place home, I tend to explore a little more...you know we all can't have a giant, snow covered mountain in our backyard," I tease as I pull the car around the final turn, the building coming into view ahead.

 

"Well, all you have to do is pack up and move ‘er north..."

 

Pulling into a parking spot, I turn off the car and get out, making sure to help Taylor out as well.  "I will have to think about that."

 

She smiles before falling into step alongside me.  Reaching for the door, I usher her inside before stopping to wait for the hostess.  Barely a second passes before an older woman appears with a couple of menus in her hand, a smile lighting up her face.

 

"Welcome to Manny's, just the two of you?"

 

"Yes, ma'am," I answer, a hint of a southern twang in my voice.

 

She nods appreciatively before leading the way through the dinning room and toward a booth alongside the other patrons.  "Your waiter tonight will be Travis, please let me know if there's anything you need.  Enjoy your dinner, you two" she says, placing a couple of waters in front of us as well.

 

"Thank you," we both respond in unison. 

 

Taylor reaches for her menu, tilting it up and letting her eyes glance over the options.  "So, what do you recommend, Justin?"

 

"I suggest we get the Mexican sampler...it's a little bit of everything and there's so much that it's more than enough for the two of us to share."

 

Taylor nods her head in acceptance just as the waiter appears.

 

"Thank you for making Manny's your choice for the night.  Can I start you two off with anything to drink?"

 

I motion toward Taylor, after all Mike did teach me ladies first. 

 

"I'll have a strawberry margarita," she answers with a smile.

 

I can't help but feel a slight jolt at the look the waiter is giving Taylor and a slight protectiveness rear its head deep from within. 

 

"And you, sir?"

 

"Corona is fine," I snip, trying to cover the edge to my voice.

 

"I will get those drinks in for you right away and get you out some chips and salsa," Travis says before giving one last departing look in Taylor's direction.  She doesn't even seem to notice the attention she draws and I can't help but find a little sense of relief in that innocence. 

 

"This place is great...I mean, look at all the paintings, the pictures, and the sculptures..." Taylor says, a bit of excitement lacing her words.  "How often do you see things like this?  I am so used to the normal décor."

 

I look around, taking a moment to appreciate the beauty inside.  The dark tint of the lights certainly creates a warm environment, but the artwork brings this place to life.  "I love it here..."

 

She twists in her seat, crossing her legs and letting her arms drop to her side.  "You come here often?"

 

"Not too often...it's kind of a special getaway."

 

"Everyone has to have those."

 

I smile at her.  "I couldn't agree more." 

 

Just then Travis returns, dropping off our drinks and chips before taking our order for dinner.  His lingering looks are still more than apparent and yet, Taylor doesn't even seem unnerved or bothered by it.  I suppose I am more than bothered enough for the two of us.

 

"You do realize you have an admirer in the building..." I tease, trying to gauge whether or not she has picked up on the attention he is dishing her way.

 

"Who, the waiter?" Taylor asks incredulously.

 

I nod my assent. 

 

She scoffs.  "You're worried about that when girls literally claw their way toward you.  Please, he's harmless."

 

I laugh at her analogy, thankful that his attempts are thwarted before anything can even come of them.  I realize how screwed up that is, needing to protect her from other guys and not fully understanding what that really means to me.  I just know that I enjoy spending time with Taylor and I admit to being fully selfish when it comes to her time and attention.

 

"So, you ready to pack it up soon and head back to Colorado?" she asks, taking a sip of her drink before placing it firmly back on the coaster.

 

"Yeah, I miss my board...I miss the powder, the cold, the lifts...I miss the calm," I respond, my fingers gently taping against the wood of the table.  "California served its purpose...everyone believes I am in town...but now I am ready to just enjoy my cabin and my serenity in the mountains."

 

She smiles brightly, a hint of reverence in her face at my answer.  "I wish I could say the same.  I kind of envy your ability to just kick back on the hills.  My life is about to go crazy.  World Cup is in a month."

 

"Are you nervous?"

 

She ponders the question for a second before tilting her head slightly to the side. "Yes, I am actually.  I know I am physically and mentally prepared for everything that is about to come.  It's just knowing that I have one shot to prove that what happened in Turin is not about to repeat itself."

 

"I wish I could come with..." I answer, the words out my mouth before I can retract them.  "You know to support you and all..."

 

She smiles softly, her head lowering in appreciation.  "Me too."

 

"When do you leave for Austria then?"

 

"Races are January eighth through the tenth, so we are heading over there on the second.  Get myself acclimated to the altitude, time difference, and the hills over there."

 

"That's understandable..." I answer, trying to hide my disappointment in knowing how much our time together is slipping away.  "You're going to be great."

 

"I hope."

 

Before anymore discussion regarding her upcoming race can continue, Travis returns with a large try full of dishes.  Everything from pork, beef, chicken, peppers, onions, rice, beans, tortillas, sour cream and so many other different sides are all strategically placed throughout the tray in a delicious feast.  He offers us his assistance before he departs and together we start to dish out the food.  The helpings are generously distributed, each tasting and trying different combinations from the tray.  The only sounds that linger in between our casual conversation are the moans coming from us as we polish off the delicious food.  Taylor seems to be enjoying my pick and I can't help but feel a little bit of pride in choosing something she would enjoy.

 

In satisfaction, we sit back from the table, each of us gently rubbing our stomach in appreciation. 

"My coach is going to kill me..." she giggles.  "We're definitely going for a run tomorrow."

 

"You gotta live a little..."

 

Before I can even continue my train of thoughts, a shiver of ice slips down my spine the minute a voice breaks into my consciousness.  "Well, well...Justin, you must introduce me."

 

I can barely even concentrate, my hands are beginning to shake and the anger is rolling through me in waves.  The all consuming rage is taking forth, almost clouding my vision into a sea of red as I turn to stare up at the owner of that voice.

 

Her brown hair is angled sharply around her face, her green eyes prominent as they always used to be.  Despite how I hate her, what she did to me, what she continues to do, I can't deny that there was a time that I would have done anything for her.  I would have given it all up, had she asked me...she was my everything, and I was her nothing.

 

"Jessica," I barely manage to speak, the anger almost locking my jaw in place.  I can feel my teeth grinding, trying to control all the emotions that are swirling around me. 

 

"I'm shocked you wouldn't have called me, now that you're back in town from God-knows-where." Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard but when I feel her fingers brush against back of my neck, I nearly lose it in that moment.  "After all, don't you miss me?"

 

Turning towards her, I steel my jaw in anticipation of being face-to-face with the one woman that has nearly broken me in every imaginable way.  "I haven't called or spoken to you for a reason, Jessica, and I certainly am not about to start now."

 

"You don't mean that."  Her brushing off my comment so easily only serves to fuel my rage, and I can't believe that my night is turning out like this. 

 

"Jessica, you have managed to manipulate me, my family, and my friends into playing along with your games and lies.  I am not about to sit here and pretend that what you're doing is even on the same realm of morality that I live my life."

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Taylor's mouth drop open in surprise before she quickly recovers, hiding her reaction from view. 

 

At my outburst back, Jessica's eyes narrow, her lips morphing into a straight line.  I can see the shift in demeanor, before she was manipulating me and now she's about to lash out.

 

"You may think you have the upper-hand, Justin.  That you can sit here in front of your new girl, talk a big game like you're in control, that you don't wish things were different.  But we both know the truth," she answers, her eyes penetrating straight through me and I can feel the venom behind her words.  She's nowhere even near through messing with me.  "Enjoy your dinner with your new flavor of the month..."

 

"Flavor of the month?" Taylor pipes in, a hint of annoyance in her voice.  "Listen, I don't know you and you don't know me.  But more importantly, you know nothing of my relationship with Justin.  I think it's time for you to leave." 

 

Jessica eyes her, a hint of malevolence in her stare.  "You have no idea who you're talking to."

 

Before I can even move, Taylor is already standing up, completely eye-level with Jessica.  "I don't need nor want to know you.  And as you can tell, neither does he.  So, if you'll excuse us, we were just leaving.  Enjoy your night." Taylor ends the whole conversation, reaching for my hand and pulling me out of there before Jessica can continue her reign of terror. 

 

A few choice words fall from Taylor's lips as we approach the front and I can't help but feel a sense of gratitude toward the women in front of me.  She continues to lead the way, only stopping to grab Travis as he walks by to take care of our tab.  He's pleasantly surprised to get her attention for the brief moment before she turns back towards me, reaching for my hand again and heading out of there, not even a glance back.

 

"Well, that was..." she begins as we approach the car.  She stops to open the door, her hand lingering on the frame, "interesting to say the least."

 

"I'm so sorry, Taylor."

 

She eyes me for a second, her lips forming a frown before she sits down in the car.  Following suit, I climb in and clip my seat belt on before reaching to start the car. 

 

Suddenly, she shifts; stopping my movement and her left leg comes to rest on the seat as she faces me.  "I'm not very good at this stuff, Justin, and I am completely out of my element here.  But I will say this; I may not know you as closely as your fans, your family and friends, or even your ex-girlfriends.  But from what I do know, I can honestly say that whatever is going on between you and her...you don't deserve this."

 

I let a small smile tug at my lips, trying to decompress from the earlier confrontation. 

 

"I hope you don't think I over-stepped my boundaries back there.  It's just my blood was boiling; I can't imagine what you were going through.  It just slipped out."

 

I laugh, turning the ignition and backing out of the parking spot.  "I have zero qualms with you defending my honor, Taylor."

 

She smirks, turning back in her seat and settling in for the drive back to the house.

 

Despite the unconventional end to our dinner, there's a sense of peace that settles in around us and it's then that I realize how much I have grown to trust the woman beside me.  The fact that Taylor defended me back there, without even knowing the situation surrounding Jessica and I, she took my side regardless of the facts.  That alone speaks volumes when it comes to her faith and trust in me.  I don't know how it happened or when it did, but Taylor has re-stored a part of me that I thought I lost, a part of me I was desperate to find again.  She has shown me unyielding faith and I think it's only fair I give it back to her.

 

Reaching out, I clasp her hand in mine, allowing her fingers to intertwine with my own and give it a gentle squeeze.  "I think it's time you really get to know me..." I begin, chancing a glance in her direction, "all of me."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Much love to you all! 

I am working on the next update and I have instructed a few to give me some gentle kicks in the ass if I take so long again.  :)

Thanks again!  Until next time!

-BD



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love celebrityj ski olympics tabloids paparazzi