Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey!!

Well, let me just say that the fact that you all have stuck by me and continued to read, despite the fact that it took me forever to update, has blown my mind.  I think you're all wonderful and I am so thankful!

So, here we go with another update...I hope you all enjoy!!!

-BD

Chapter 10

 

Justin's POV

 

I have no idea why the hell I just blurted that out, in fact, I feel like a complete idiot for asking Taylor to drop everything here in Colorado to come with me to California for a couple days, just to throw the paparazzi off my trail.  This woman is set to race in the biggest competition around the world and I am trying to drag her away from it all, to what, spend time with me?

 

I don't even understand why I have this insatiable need for her to be there, to be around, but I couldn't stop the words from flying out of my mouth more than I could wait on bated breath for her response.  As crazy as all of this sounds, Taylor makes me feel normal...her unorthodox career, the way she handles the pressure, her ability to just laugh despite everything going on around her, I am fascinated by her, intrigued even.  She keeps me guessing and the last thing I have to worry about with her is a slip of the tongue to the press, she values her privacy just as much as me, and it's nice to find someone that is just as much a public figure that chooses to distance themselves from it all to hold onto that one fraction of a normal semblance. 

 

Taylor is just Taylor...and right now, that's all I need.

 

I just need a friend, nothing more nothing less, but I would have to be blind not to realize the qualities that she possesses would be something I would look for out of a relationship.

 

"You want me to come to California?" Taylor repeats, surprise evident in her tone.

 

"Why not?  It'll be fun; you can see what life is like for me.  After all, we've been firmly planted in your comfort zone; it's time to step up into mine."

 

"Are you crazy?  Delusional maybe?" she says, a hint of playfulness in her eyes.  "Could you imagine what would happen if the press found me in California, ignoring my training as well as attached to your hip?"

 

"Well, I may not be opposed to that idea..." I flirt, a teasing smile on my lips.  She makes it too easy.  "I'll make sure that you're well hidden from the sight of the paps, I can assure you that."

 

"You have lost your mind..."

 

"Come on, Taylor.  It'll be fun, get some time in the sun instead of the snow."

 

She nervously pulls her bottom lip in between her teeth, gnawing on the tender flesh and my eyes are immediately drawn to the action.  Shifting her weight from side to side, her eyes scan the room before landing on me, a hint of a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.  "I am so getting in trouble for this."

 

My eyes immediately widen and the smile grows, flashing my whites in her direction.  "You're serious?"

 

"On two HUGE conditions, Justin, these have to be a part of the deal or there is no way I can go."

 

I chuckle before taking a step closer to her, wrapping my arm around her waist, pulling her into my side. "Name it..."

 

"One, absolutely no one can know that I am there with you...no one!  I can't even begin to explain the backlash that I would be caught up in if this somehow got out that I wasn't in Colorado training.  Two, you will owe me a vacation of my own once I get through these games."

 

I nod my head, smiling down at her before squeezing her close to my side.  "You got yourself a deal, Taylor.  I will call Mike, he's my personal security guard and has been with me since *Nsync to arrange a flight out of here and a detail to get in and out of my addition without attracting too much attention."

 

"And this Mike?  He can be trusted?"

 

I laugh before releasing her from my grasp.  "Oh, yeah, without a doubt."

 

"All right, I can't believe I am doing this, trusting an almost practical stranger, agreeing to ditch everything..."

 

"Hey, I resent that, Taylor," I admonish, turning on my heels and walking into the kitchen, feeling her follow closely behind.  "We're far from strangers...and I promise I will take good care of you."

 

She blushes and it's by far the most adorable thing I have seen in a long time.  There's a sense of openness and vulnerability that she is always so quick to hide, but in this moment, she lets it slip through. 

 

"All right, you win, I trust you.  But we have to be back here by Friday or Rob is going to have my neck.  No excuses.  He will be in Vail taking care of things and I still have to do some kind of training while we're there.  It may not be actual hill time, but I have to hit the gym and get some cardio in or I am personally dragging you with to my meeting with my coach to explain why I didn't win."

 

"Consider it done, Taylor.  Now, how soon do you want to leave?"

 

She taps her fingers on the edge of my kitchen counter, leaning forward on her elbows, her back nearly parallel to the table.  "I'll leave that up to you."

 

"Tomorrow morning, bright and early...I will pick you up around four."

 

She stutters, her mouth hanging wide open.  "Four in the morning?" 

 

"Yeah, is that a problem?"

 

"That is in nearly six hours, Justin.  I haven't packed a damn thing or even arranged anything."

 

I laugh, leaning back against the sink, my ankles crossing and my arms immediately prop my body up against the marble.  "Well, then I suggest you get a move on."

 

"You're obnoxious when you get your way, you know that right."

 

"I have been told that, yes.  Come on, Taylor, you'll have a good time.  It'll be fun to bring you into my world, give you a break from the shutters that protect you up here."

 

She groans before dragging her hands across the smooth surface of the counter, pushing up into a standing position.  "You're almost impossible to say no to, Justin."

 

"I'll have to remember that," I tell her, winking as she rolls her eyes in my direction and spins on her heels back out of the room and towards the door.  "You're leaving already?"

 

"Don't worry, I am all yours the rest of the week," she quips over her shoulders and I try to hide the effect that that statement has on me.  "But if you're going to be picking me up soon, I have a lot to get ready for and a lot of bases to cover," she answers before reaching for the doorknob and pulling it open.

 

I smile as she flips her eyes back to me one last time before walking through the entryway and out to her car.  "See you soon, Taylor."

 

"Night, Justin."

 

(Five hours later)

 

As I make the drive back into town, two coffees balancing precariously in their holders, the night time sky is still alight with its last fervor.  The moon is providing all of the illumination needed to maneuver the twist and turns of the streets and, although I have a general idea in the direction of Taylor's residence, I am still in need of serious directions.

 

Reaching for my cell phone, I quickly dial her number and wait for her voice.

 

"Hello?" a groggy and clearly tired Taylor answers.

 

"Morning, sunshine."

 

"I honestly think I might kill you."

 

I laugh; she's awfully feisty when she's tired.  "Tisk-tisk, Taylor, what would Hollywood do if a certain Olympian murdered said Popstar?"

 

"Clap, cheer, for than the rest of the world would be sure to get the sleep they needed."

 

Turning the corner, I make my way down into her addition and bring the car to a slow crawl.  "I'll remember that, my dear.  Well, ignoring your sarcasm already this morning, I am curious to know which house is yours so we can get a move on."

 

"Lights on outside, house on the right with the tree in the front, brick, and a huge front bay window."

 

Seriously, girls always give directions based on landmarks.  "A house number would be preferred."

 

"17651," she mumbles before disconnecting the line, and I can't help but smile at her less than chipper attitude already.

 

Checking the numbers on the house, I speed up a bit, rounding one last curve in the road before noticing a house with a light on, the beautiful brick architect and the metal plating of the numbers "17651" above the front door.  Pulling into the driveway, I shut off the engine before climbing out and walking to her front door.  Before I can knock, the door is suddenly whipped open and Taylor is standing there in a white Ski Team sweatshirt, tight black yoga pants, her hair piled in a loose mess on top of her head and her bag draped across her shoulder.

 

"Remind me again why I agreed to this and why in God's name we are leaving when it is still dark out?"

 

I chuckle at her banter; she is cute when she's fired up, a side of her that doesn't come out all the time.  I'm used to her easy-going, laid-back personality so this change of pace is both humorous and enlightening all the same.

 

"You agreed to come because you just can't get enough of me and at the same time, you're curious about my life in LA," I explain, cocking my head to the side, daring her to disagree with my assessment.

 

"Slightly curious, that's all.  I mean, let's think about this..." she starts as we come to the back side of the car and I pop the trunk, tossing her bag inside, "you've been living in a lap of luxury for a while now, Justin.  You've spent your days just hanging out on the slopes for the pure enjoyment, and as curious as I am about your life, you're just as interested when it comes to mine."

 

I open the door, halting my movement and propping my hand against the door frame.  "I never said I wasn't," I explain before letting go of the door and climbing inside.

 

After getting situated in the car, I hand Taylor her coffee cup, thankful that the warm liquid and caffeine seems to have calmed her a bit.  Her hands grip the cup firmly between her palms, only bringing it to her lips every few seconds.  The drive to the airport takes a little over an hour, the comfortable silence enough for the two of us.  Despite the early morning wake up call, I can feel a sense of enjoyment coming from Taylor, even though she might not admit it now, there's a part of her that is just as interested in me as I am in her.  And I fully intend to figure that all out this week.

 

"You ready?" I ask as we unload our belongings, tossing them across our shoulders before closing up the car, locking it and walking towards the terminal. 

 

"Are you sure we should just walk in together?" she asks, hesitancy in her steps all the way.

 

"We're going in those side doors to the private jet check in, Mike is currently inside waiting for me," I explain, pointing toward the doors off to the right side of the terminal.

 

The two of us pick up the pace, walking through the sliding doors and immediately I spot the biggest man to currently be sitting in that tiny, uncomfortable and rock hard airport chair.  Walking up behind him, I immediately clasp my hands on his shoulders, squeezing a little harder than necessary.  "Long time no see..."

 

"Not long enough, my friend, not long enough," he teases before standing up, a smile on his face.  "What happened to being on vacation, hiding out in the mountains, no wait, better yet, what happened to those words ‘Mike, take a break, I won't need your assistance for a couple of months?'"

 

"Things change, and I know you love me too much to allow me to make this trip on my own."

 

"I don't get paid enough for this, man," Mike laughs before his head tilts to the side, taking in Taylor's form standing beside me, her head ping-ponging back and forth between us as we bicker.  "And this must be the lovely Taylor Jordan I have heard so much about."

 

She blushes before reaching her small hand out, his grip nearly encasing her entire hand up to the wrist.  "Nice to meet you, sir."

 

"Please, call me Mike, and the pleasure is all mine."

 

"So, now that introductions have been taken care of, what's the plan?" I ask, straightening my bag.

 

"Flight leaves in forty-five minutes.  We'll land actually in San Diego, hoping to avert as much attention as possible, rather than LA.  Security will be there to pick us up and take you back to your place."

 

"Any chance of company along the way?" I ask, Mike clearly knowing I am talking about the paparazzi.

 

"I doubt it.  Trace has been working over time trying to cover for you.  So, I highly doubt they have any clue where you are right now or when you're coming back."

 

I nod my head, shifting my weight from side to side.  "I owe him," I state matter of factly.  It's true; Trace has been one of the few constant support systems in my life from the very beginning.  I never have to worry about anything when it comes to our friendship, he simply has my back and I his.  "Well, let's get this show on the road before the airport gets any busier."

 

"Right this way," Mike motions towards the counter and I barely take a step forward before he reaches his arm out across my chest, blocking me.  "Ladies first, man, ladies always first," he grumbles and Taylor can't help but smile and laugh. 

 

Together, the three of us make our way inside the terminal, checking in and clearing a path through security.  The walk to the gate is made in comfortable conversation, Mike often asking about Taylor's career and I am rabidly listening to her answers, intrigued that for someone her age, she handles the business even better than me.

 

The hype that comes with being in the public eye has certainly taken its toll on me, not to mention my three very public, very messy breakups that have played out for everyone to see.  I can't even begin to explain the disaster that my relationship with Jessica has been, even though I can honestly say that I want nothing to do with her ever again, I realize that running to Colorado has only served to fuel the fire within her.

 

I believe that is one of the main reasons I find myself drawn to Taylor...what you see is what you get when it comes to her, there's no gloss or pretenses to her.  She's not jaded or blinded by the lights and cameras.  She doesn't need the press following her every move to validate her self worth.  In fact, she doesn't want any of that, she's happy just doing what she does best...and that's ski racing.  After spending hours on the hill with Taylor, it's clear that she would be happy even without the attention that her talent has garnished her, she just wants to be on the hill...and that's something that I admire in her.

 

It's something that I am drawn to.

 

"Has anyone told you about what is going on back in California?" Mike asks, his voice dropping to just above a whisper. 

 

Glancing over at Taylor, I notice that she's not really paying much attention to either of us.  "No, I haven't really had my phone on long enough for anyone to get through."

 

He gives me a half-smile, a hint of pity in his eyes all the same.  "I don't blame you, J, but there's some things that you really need to hear."

 

I put my hand up, a physical gesture to stop this entire conversation before it can even begin, before I get irritated all over again.  "Not now, man.  I really just want to get there without having to worry about what is waiting for me on the other side."

 

Mike merely nods his head slightly, realizing that no matter what he says, I am not going to listen right now.  I have no desire whatsoever to be caught up to speed with the havoc and chaos that my disappearance has surely caused.

 

Turning to look at Taylor, she turns her head in my direction and smiles, and for the first time that morning, I forget about all of the ‘what-if's' and probing questions that will surely come up once I step foot back in the state of California.  Because, with someone like Taylor to be there on the other side, for the first time, I think everything's going to be all right.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you again for all the support!  You have no idea how much it means to me!!

What'd you think?  It's time for these two to have a little fun in the sun...

:)

XOXO

-BD



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love celebrityj ski olympics tabloids paparazzi