Story Notes:
Ah, this is another short I wrote a little while ago when the JT and JB breakup rumors surfaced. I just thought of the idea. It's nothing big just a simple encounter with a tabloid reporter and Justin and their colorful exchange. I hope you guys enjoy. I've decided I might most likely give this one a part two but not sure when yet. They will be two complete separate shorts.  Ok, but anyway other than that, enjoy. :)

 

The Real Deal

              

She was new.

She was nervous.

She was...in hell.

This wasn't her scene but yet, here she was in the last place she ever wanted to be: a hot, sweaty NYC club looking for her next big break.

When she got the tip that he was here partying with his boys, she thought about not going but eventually changed her mind.

She wanted to know if all the rumors were true about him. She wanted to know if he was this amazing, upstanding guy, or if he was this sneaky, underhanded, self-centered male, who thought nothing of cheating and enjoyed always getting his way.

She read so many stories about him, heard so many things about the type of person he was.

The only catch was that, all those stories seemed to clash with each other.

On one hand, the guy was made to be like a ‘god' that deserved some type of blasphemous worship, and on the other hand, he was the scum of the earth, only not so literal.

This was her opportunity to find out the real truth about him. This was her chance to see him in action for herself and determine on her own, just what type of celebrity she was dealing with.

This wasn't her reading the various tabloid articles of their company's competitions; this was her being able to know the real truth for herself.

But, again, she was new to the job, so hence, she was nervous.

This was her first gig as the newly added writer to one of the hottest gossip tabloid magazines in New York City.

She was fresh out of journalism school and scored her first big break.

And, her first celebrity assignment was none other than Justin Timberlake.

The whole thing was terribly clichéd to her.

She already knew of the rumors on his split with his girlfriend Jessica Biel. She just needed to know what part, if any of it was true.

This was her task. This was why their magazine was so popular. Because out of all the other gossip rags, they always managed to dig up the actual truth on these celebs and now wasn't going to be any different.

There was no room for assumptions or half-truths.

This was the real deal.

And Cherese Saunders was going to get her story.

 

It was game time...

Her eyes scanned the partially dark club illuminated by many colorful lights, none doing any justice to provide solid identities of the many sweaty gyrating bodies on the dance floor.

Cherese always thought clubbing was tacky to a certain extent. It all depended on your soul clubbing purpose and how you flaunted your assets in the process. But that was just her opinion.

Still, she imagined this to be a watered down version of what hell must be like, only, without the intoxication and music blasting. The heat was spot on though she figured it would me a million times worse. Yes, her mind was weird like that.

But, she was on the prowl and in a few seconds flat, she spotted her target, sitting at the bar, nursing a drink with a hot blonde at his side hanging over him like bait on a stick.

Inhaling deeply, Cherese strutted over and took a seat at the bar, slightly disgusted with her own self at her choice of attire. There was a stool between her and her target but she ignored that. In fact, she played off the fact that she was sitting close enough to him to smell whatever cologne he was wearing.

She remembered reading somewhere that he wasn't big on colognes and preferred a person's natural scent. Well, that didn't mean he couldn't change his mind every now and then, especially if he was trying to grab the females' attention in the room.

Still, she wondered about him...the real him. Was he really this guy in the limelight who was this multi talented musician, artist, actor and fashion designer? Or was he someone completely different when the cameras were off? She figured she'd find out eventually...

 

"Scotch on the rocks!" Cherese shouted to the bartender when he approached her.

He nodded in response and proceeded to prepare her drink.

"Interesting choice of drink for someone like you..."

Cherese looked up at the sound of the masculine voice that infiltrated her thoughts. She turned her head to the side and was slightly stunned to see a pair of crystal blue eyes staring right back at her.

It was him, only his ornament was missing. The blonde who was hanging all over him a moment ago was nowhere in sight.

That caused Cherese to swallow hard. He worked fast.

She quickly recovered though when she remembered her task at hand. So far, her allure was working its charm. He wasn't the only one who had tricks.

"Tell me, how does my drink of choice define me?" Cherese smiled gingerly.

That was all he needed from her to know that he was in: a reply. He had her now. All he had to do was rill her in.

"A gorgeous woman like yourself? Short, fitted black dress, tall black heels, dark flowing hair, red lipstick and accessories to match?" He shrugged dismissively. "You should be nursing a dirty martini easily." He stated, his lips curving into a sly grin.

"Huh..." Cherese muttered, mildly amazed at his ability to peg a woman's preferred poison based on her appearance.

In her case, he was spot on, but she was going to let it slide as coincidence.

"I'm right aren't I?" Justin questioned, slowly standing from his seat to approach her.

"Well, possibly...it's probable that whatever science you've concocted to be able to do what you just did works." She muttered uncomfortably.

She shifted in her seat, feeling her skin heat up when Justin took the seat right next to her.

"Oh, it works, ninety-eight percent of the time, it works." Justin gestured.

At that moment, they were greeted by the bartender who handed Cherese her drink. She thanked him, but wasn't quick enough to pay him. Justin beat her to the punch, and raised his hand to silence Cherese before she could protest.

She just eyed him lazily and took a sip of her drink, ignoring the obvious heat of their bodies meshing together due to their close proximity.

"So tell me, what's a classy, sophisticated journalist like you doing in a club like this?" Justin asked smoothly.

Gasping, Cherese nearly choked on her drink before rooting the glass from her mouth. She coughed lightly, her brown eyes wide as she glared at Justin in shock.

"What, didn't think I knew? I can spot you all a mile away. Your approach, not very inconspicuous. I'm guessing you're new." Justin shrugged uncaringly.

"I uh, I'm not..."

"Don't try to trick a trickster babe. I've had years of experience. Seriously. So, what gossip rag are you with?" Justin inquired breezily and Cherese had to wonder if this was really happening to her.

No, no this is not how things were supposed to go down.

She was supposed to get her story. She was supposed to...

"Um, The New York Star..." Cherese breathed deeply.

Justin knew.

There was no getting out of this. Maybe if she pleaded her case, he'd not have her thrown out of this club on her ass.

Shit, her boss was going to be pissed.

"Huh, not bad. You know, in fact, I think you guys are the only ones who come the closest to the truth." Justin replied impressed.

"Look, Justin, I'm sure you're a nice guy and..."

"I'm not, not really...well actually, I am, sometimes, when I want to be...but, please continue." He nudged her.

Again, Cherese swallowed hard, her words dissolving from sheer nervousness as she eyed Justin.

There was no way he could have known she was a writer. He wasn't that good. Someone must have told him and she played right into it instead of denying his accusation. Now he knew her true nature, her purpose for being here, yet he didn't seem upset in the slightest.

That unsettled her.

If anything, as she looked into those beautiful blues, all they emitted were curiosity, maybe a little intrigue.

Was this a test? Was he testing her? Was her boss testing her? Shit, she didn't know what was going on, but she knew that she really didn't want this. She didn't care much for the job either. She'd collect her first paycheck and be done with it.

No matter what type of person Justin was, he deserved his privacy, privacy that the public didn't think he was entitled to.

"I'm sorry Justin." Cherese caved immediately. She didn't have it in her to go through with this. Who was she kidding? She was doomed to fail from the start.

The plan was to get in, get him comfortable enough by all means necessary, even if she had to whore herself out to him, and get him to talk, to dish all the dirty details of his love life.

She couldn't do it. She wanted to, but couldn't. Plus, he would have been really stupid to trust her off the bat even if she was sure there would have been some way to play into that. She didn't care anymore to find out.

"That's nice, that's rich in fact...that you're apologizing for doing absolutely nothing." Justin smirked before shouting out to the bartender to prepare him a scotch, neat.

"I'm not following." Cherese shook her head. "But look, I'm just going to get out of your hair and let you enjoy the rest of your night." She moved to stand and nearly screamed when she felt a firm but gentle grip on her wrist.

"You went through all this trouble. Sit, have another drink with me, it's on me."Justin demanded.

"I'd rather just walk away with my tail between my legs and the little dignity I have left." Cherese forced a smile but didn't budge.

She couldn't. Justin's stare was so intense, almost hypnotic with the way he eyed her.

She felt like he was undressing her right here in this club. And, maybe he was, but she didn't fancy falling under whatever spell he was trying to cast.

"I think you owe me that, don't you Cherese?" Justin asked kindly in a cut tone.

Cherese gasped, wondering how he knew her name.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm not psychic. I was told to expect you and was given a very accurate description of you. Now, I'm not mad, but I would like a bit more of your company, so, sit." Justin ordered and she did just that.

She was too flabbergasted to do anything else. Plus, she needed to know what was going on and who told him about her.

"Listen Justin, whatever you were told about me..."

"Let me guess, it's all a lie?" He chuckled bitterly. "So are two thirds of the stories about me circulating in the tabloids and media but I don't let it get to me. You learn to deal, even ignore if necessary. Relax. I didn't ask you to stay to cut you down."

"Then why..."

"Because you don't seem debauched. Definitely not like the rest of those scumbags. Or I could be wrong. Humor me." He smiled.

His smile seemed almost genuine this time.

"Uh, ok."

"Besides, all my friends are occupied right now. I'm sort of flying solo tonight. I just got out of another messy breakup don't you know." His voice was firm and low as he said this before he accepted his drink from the bartender.

He glared down at the glass and took in a deep breath before downing his drink in one gulp.

Cherese sensed his tenseness and mild frustration. He was on edge, that much was clear. But, he was doing a hell of a job concealing it.

She shifted and crossed her legs the best she could as she glared at Justin interestingly. Well, he was some type of crude, but he didn't seem so bad. She figured he'd be cold with her considering the situation. But, so far, he seemed like your typical guy. He was human after all. He wasn't super human like the world portrayed him. Hell, the guy was allowed to mess up. It was his human right.

Cherese imagined he had a lot of pressure living up to the world's expectations. Yet, he wasn't a total dick about it.

"So it's true, your breakup with Jessica Biel." Cherese finally voiced.

"Yes and no." Justin sighed. "We're broken up right now yes. Ask to if it will stay that way? Only time will tell. But, things weren't working out..." He drifted and cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Shit happens." He snorted and Cherese nodded in return. "But you knew that right? So I'm guessing you're here for the real story?" Justin questioned, locking eyes with her again.

"Actually I..." But Cherese was interrupted, surprisingly by the saddened expression that floated over Justin's face as he eyed her.

"If I tell you, and you print it, will the tabloids leave me alone for a while? It's a long shot but..." He sighed, shaking his head in disdain. "I need some room to breathe before I flip out and really cause a scene about this whole breakup ordeal." He admitted.

He straightened his posture and cracked his knuckles while he breathed deeply.

And against her will, Cherese couldn't help but feel pity for him.

In that instant, she hated her job.

"I'll take that as a no or you don't know." Justin voiced heavily when she didn't respond. "Well then, tell me something." He added, trying to switch his mood. "How does someone sell their soul to cash in at any cost?" He snapped.

"I did not..."

"You might as well have, getting mixed up in this job or career...whatever." Justin hissed with a wave of his hand. "But you're new; it's not too late to walk away before you get corrupted." He reasoned.

"Maybe I should go." Cherese suggested.

"What and ruin your first gig for your boss? By the way, your competition ‘celebrity buzz,' didn't waste time to let me know you'd be coming. My guess is, you have people in your company who are playing both fields. Be careful."

"Why are you telling me this Justin?" Cherese asked.

"Because we've been here a little while now and the only information you've gotten out of me is what I willingly told you."

"Ok but..."

"In my experience, that never happens." He cut her off. "I guess I'm inclined to like you for that."                  

"Please don't do me any favors." Cherese spat mockingly and he laughed. He actually laughed.

And damn if it wasn't an attractive laugh.

"Like I said, you're not so bad. Lighten up. This experience doesn't have to be a bad one." Justin grinned, ordering another round of drinks for them.

Shrugging, Cherese decided to get more comfortable and entertain his antics instead of fighting him.

Who knew, maybe he'd spill his guts if he thought he could trust her without her making any effort on her end.

No, no she would keep his information confidential. Whatever he was willing to share, even if it would cost her her job.

Jesus, she just met the man and already she felt drawn to him and inclined to protect him in some way.

Had he known how vulnerable he was coming off? Or was this part of his plan, to play the helpless celebrity role...

"I take it your mind is going crazy with all possible scenarios on what this is that's going on between us." Justin questioned, thanking the bartender who returned with their new drink orders in record time.

"Maybe." Cherese curved a brow at him, taking her glass from Justin's grasp, their fingers gently brushing in the process.

Justin looked down where they touched briefly and his smile faltered before he brought his glass up to his lips and sipped.

"I've decided that you're unhealthy for me." Justin concluded and Cherese laughed lightly.

"Really? How so?" She asked curiously.

He looked up at her, meeting her gaze with a semi-serious expression on his face. "The fact that I find myself undoubtedly attracted to you when I know you're bad news, and by that I mean, you're a tabloid reporter who'd do anything to get her story. I'm tempted to find out just how far you'd go to get your story in fact. Tell me, what part of that is not unhealthy?" Justin quipped, sipping on his drink as he eyed Cherese from behind the rim of his glass.

"I guess you're right." She nodded, impressed by his charm. "Doesn't help that you're not bad looking yourself. Nice ensemble by the way." She gazed at his outfit, completely William Rast, from the blazer, under T down to the jeans.

"Thanks." Justin smiled, finishing off his drink. "Perks of having my own clothing line." He shrugged uncaringly.

Cherese didn't respond this time. Instead, she openly glared at him as she slowly consumed her poison.

When she was done, she placed down her glass and was about to stand but Justin stopped her again.

"Jessica and I don't work together anymore because we both want different things." Justin began and Cherese looked at him wearily.

Did he really want to do this?

"Relax. You're free to publish what you wish. I figured I owe you for keeping you here against your will." Justin joked.

"What if I wanted to stay?" Cherese challenged.

"Then I'm in a sharing mood." Justin sighed.

"I don't know what you're up to Justin, but I'll bite." Cherese decided, getting comfortable in her seat again.

She wasn't sure why or how, but the tension between them was slowly fizzling out.

"Jess is a lot of things, but never short of amazing." Justin explained. "That's why I loved her, still do and did my best to please her and make the relationship work. But, you must know, spending so much time apart is never easy for anyone. We always had our problems but, I guess it was too much to come out of this time. And, I'll be honest, the passion wasn't what it used to be. We argued more, over ridiculous stuff. Or, she started trusting me less. Not that I blame her, but everything just took its toll. Nothing's forever. So, yes, we're broken up. She can't accept it, but it is what it is. Maybe we'll get back together tomorrow or next week or whenever who knows? Then again, maybe we won't." Justin voiced, shrugging his shoulders. "Doesn't mean I don't miss her..." he added in softly.

"And the rumors of you cheating with various women? Of you hooking up with Rhianna and all that?" Cherese questioned.

"There's the reporter side of you." Justin mused. "But well, I am human after all. And a man at that. No excuse I know. But we all have our weak moments."

"Yet you won't come out straight and say you have or haven't cheated." Cherese pointed out.

"Whoever does?" Justin scolded her. "Ask for Ri and I. I think it's best for everyone to just see what comes of these rumors. I'll give you the generic statement that she's a great person, we're in the studio working on her album together and we're friends. That's it. Anything else you want to know, it comes with a price." Justin suggested with a sly grin on his face.

"I see." Cherese replied. "I'll pass thanks." She added in for good measure.

"Now tell me Cherese. Did I give you what you wanted?" Justin asked boldly before standing from his seat.

"I uh..." She followed suit, glaring at him. "Justin you didn't have to..."

"No I didn't. I wanted to."

"Well then, that's fine. But I'm not going to publish anything you just said." Cherese explained.

"Really? And why is that?"

"Because...and this is going to sound crazy...but I respect your privacy."

"You're right, coming from you, that's crazy talk." Justin laughed before dropping a few bills on the counter for the bartender.

"I mean it though." Cherese giggled in return. "Look, I just got my job and I hate it. I probably won't be in it very long, so I'll be one less to worry about."

"Too bad. I kind of like you." Justin mused.

"I like you too Justin. Well the tiny bit of yourself that you shared with me. You're not so bad. You're a cool guy. Slick, maybe sly, but not a total jerk or anything like that." Cherese voiced and Justin nodded in understanding.

"I see, I'm flattered." He smiled, lifting his hand to delicately brush some hair out of her face.

Cherese eyed him suspiciously, still curious about him, but not enough to stick around and find out.

"Well, it was nice meeting you Justin and I should probably get going now." She voiced, getting ready to leave.

"You should, but, I do have one request though before you go." Justin mentioned.

"Oh? What's that?"

"You got what you wanted from me, so I think it's only fair I get something from you in return." Justin began.

"And what exactly do you want?" Cherese smiled, knowing where this was going.

"I want you..." Justin smiled when he saw Cherese eyes widen. "To print the truth about what I said. No twisting my words around." He concluded, chuckling lightly when he saw the shocked expression on Cherese's face.

She was stunned for a moment, a soft sigh escaping her. She was sure that he was going to make a pass at her, but then he added in the last part of his statement and she felt a mixture of relief and disappointment wash over her quickly before it disappeared in the same instant.

"Oh, but Justin I told you..."

"I know, you said you wouldn't publish what I said. I'm telling you to. And when you do, tell the truth. That's all I ask." He smiled slyly for Cherese and she nodded, not in the mood to argue with him about it.

She would do what she wanted, not what he told her to do. If she didn't want to publish this story, she wasn't going to.

Justin searched her face and smirked lightly as he prepared himself to leave.

"You'll publish my story. I know you will. Makes no sense trying to convince yourself otherwise." He said surely.

Cherese glowered at him, not responding.

"If by some chance you happen to forget what I told you, don't make it up, that would be lying. Give me a call instead and I'll be happy to refresh your memory." Justin explained before rooting out a card from his pocket with all of his contact information on it.  He handed it to Cherese and she took it from him, skimming the information over. "I'm trusting you with this. Don't make me have to change my phone numbers or email address ok?" Justin smiled before bidding her farewell.  "I'm going to excuse myself now. I need to catch up with my friends. I'll see you soon Cherese...count on it." Justin winked for her and with that, he turned around and left, disappearing into the crowd, leaving Cherese alone.

She gasped in slight shock and amusement as she looked on in the direction Justin went.

"Damn, he's good." She muttered softly with a laugh. "He's really good."

Scanning the card he gave her one last time, Cherese tucked it away in a safe place and smiled to herself, replaying their encounter in her mind.

She decided to order one last drink before she left so she reclaimed her seat at the bar. As she sat in thought, she couldn't help but realize that Justin was nothing like what she expected. He wasn't an asshole, but he wasn't this amazing nice guy either. He was somewhere in between and that intrigued Cherese to no end.

Oh they'd meet again, Cherese knew that much was certain, because if Justin didn't initiate it, she would and the next time around, she'd make sure that it wasn't under working orders by her boss.

 


Completed
d_simplicity is the author of 38 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked The Real Deal also liked 317 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: celebrityj tabloids