Chapter Four - Raven

 

Christopher stood from the table and wiped the back of his hand across his mouth wiping away the wine that still moistened his lips. It had been a long night, but the boys had made him proud.

Christopher had watched her leave hours before and had called out to her, but her mind was blocked and he couldn't read her, couldn't get through to her thoughts. It didn't matter though, for tonight there had been a need for a hunt, and that hunt had been completed. Their coven was being filled once again, and now he could concentrate on going after her.

 

His veins throbbed with the need to feed and he moved silently through the bar and onto the street looking for his next meal.

***********

***********

 

She stepped into the Cathedral and looked around to the few elderly people of the the town who sat quietly in the pews with their prayers. Glancing at the bowl of holy water next to her, she grinned and was careful to avoid it as she stepped further in hoping to find the man she was looking for.

 

The clicking of the door to her right drew her attention and she nodded to the priest as he looked her way and stood frozen in a trance like state. Even to a man of the cloth her beauty captivated him and a familiarness about her ran warm through his blood. Her long dark hair with it's soft highlights complimented her sun kissed skin and her eyes glowed a crystal blue that could captivate any mans souls. She slowly approached him and extended her hand giving his a gentle shake as he offered it to her and a warm smile crossed her lips settling the uneasiness he had begun to feel.

"Hello Father. My name is Raven. I was hoping I might have a word with you."

He glanced around the Cathedral to the elders who had raised their heads in curiosity and looked their way. Glancing back to her, he gave a gentle nod and placed his hand to her arm with a smile.

"Yes ma'am. Right this way to my office where we may have some privacy."

She glanced around to those who had continued on with their prayers and took note of them before falling into step with the Father down the long corridor to his office.

 

Once inside, he motioned toward the soft leather couch that sat directly in front of his desk and she made herself comfortable glancing around to the art that lined the walls as he closed the door and sat behind his desk watching her.

"Your art is magnificent. You have a fascination with old castles, or just with art itself?"

Her eyes landed on him and he smiled lacing his fingers in front of him atop the desk.

"I have a fascination with art itself. The beauty of a painting can hold so many mysteries that I find it relaxing just looking at them. As far as old castles go......well.....they do hold many mysteries and many stories, but that was a favorite of Father Mulhee's. He traveled all over the world in his life and visited many of those old castles. He loved to tell the stories of them."

 

He glanced around to some of the paintings as he spoke and turned his eyes back toward her with a smile and wonderment of who she really was.

"Mrs........"

He left the question hanging as she laid her purse to the side and crossed her legs lacing her fingers and laid her hands on top of her knee.

"Just Raven. And you're wondering what I need?"

He softly laughed and was embarrassed by the blush that filled his cheeks when she spoke.

"Father Mulhee was a dear friend of mine. I was sorry to hear of his passing. He was a wonderful man."

He looked away and nodded his head as he glanced to a photo sitting to the left corner of his desk of the man he considered a saint.

"Father Mulhee was a wonderful man indeed. He taught me everything I know about the Catholic religion and played the biggest part of my training in my priesthood. He taught me many wonderful things and I will always remember him."

 

She cleared her throat distracting him from his daze and smiled as his eyes returned to her.

"Father Mulhee taught me a lot as well and kept me protected for many years from the harms that would have come to me had he not. I tried to get back here before his passing, but do to some.... unfortunate circumstances, I was unable to. That is why I come to you for help."

 

The Father's brows creased with curiosity and he watched as she rose from the couch locking her fingers behind her back and moved from one painting to the next studying it as she spoke.

"Father Mulhee kept in his possession a book that I am in need of getting my hands on. You now hold that book and I am here to ask that you turn it over to me."

She returned to the front of his desk clearing a spot and sat down looking into his eyes as he nervously leaned back in his chair.

"What book is that that you are speaking of?"

"The Book of Nod."

 

His eyes grew wide and he stood from his chair shoving it back as he moved to the door.

"I do apologize to you Mrs.....Raven, but I do not know....."

"YES you do."

She stood from the desk quickly moving to stand in front of him before he could blink an eye.

"You know EXACTLY what book I speak of and that book is what I need if I want to survive this life time. Father Mulhee would have given me that book and I am asking you to do the same. Please."

The Father slid from between her and the wall and slid his hand into his pocket gripping the crucifix tightly in his hand that was hidden deep within.

"How do you know of such a book?"

She sighed, becoming frustrated with him and fought back the urge to vamp on him.

"Father.....that book is my history, and right now I need that history. There are things that you could not begin to understand and i'm not asking you to. I know the powers and the evil  that is within the pages of that book, but it belongs to me......Father Mulhee kept that under lock and key for me when he helped me to get away. He knew there would come a day that that book would be of vital use to me and that time is now. Now please....I ask you again....help me, and give me the book."

 

He sat behind the large mahogany desk and laid his hands in front of him staring down at the crucifix that still remained tightly in his hands.

"I can not help you Raven. I am sorry. Those books are sealed and I was given strick orders from Father Mulhee himself never to let those seals be broken. I will not go against Father Mulhee's wishes. I am sorry."

 

She reached across the back of the couch and grabbed her purse angrily walking to the door and stopped, turning toward him as her hand reached for the nob.

"I shall have that book Father Chasez........I promise you. You can't imagine the evil that is about to take place here."

She jerked the door open moving from it so quickly that Father Chasez could have sworn she floated through it. Resting his elbows on the desk, he rubbed his fingers across the beads and leaned his forehead against his hand whispering a few hail Mary's. Taking a deep breath he stood from his desk and grabbed a set of keys from the top drawer and slipped into the corridor to the end of the hallway and took a right stopping at the last door. He slid the key into the lock and pushed the door open at the sound of the click, quickly slipping inside. It had been awhile since he had stepped foot into the office. Too many memories of Father Mulhee laid inside, and although they were all good, he still couldn't bare to be there.

 

He walked to wooden file cabinet that stood hidden away in a corner and slid another key into the lock on the last door and motioned his hands with the sign of the cross before pulling it open and stared down at the book hidden inside.

"You spoke of her so much Father.....I don't think I can help her."

He pulled the book from the drawer and clutched it tightly to his chest locking everything behind him and stopped briefly in his office grabbing his coat and briefcase and snuck away from the church to lock himself inside his home.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: vampire