Chapter Eighteen

 

Joshua paced the floor of his small home for what seemed like hours before finally dropping to the couch, running his fingers through his hair and sighing in frustration. He had begged, even pleaded with McKeer to see Christabela, but she would not see him and the ancients had been ordered to send him back to Salem, no questions asked, and no one was to visit with him again.

 

He had had spent his hours on the private plane wracking his brain over what could have possibly happened for Christabela to turn away from him so quickly, but the more he thought the madder he became. Maharet had given him a decision to make and that decision had been a struggle for him, but he'd thought it over, and as he sat by Christabela's side watching her struggle with what is know as their life, he knew without a doubt what his decision would be. He didn't, however, get to share that decision before he was forced onto a plane and sent back to the little town of Salem.

 

He stood from the couch and began pacing the floor once again, till suddenly he stopped in his tracks and nodded, speaking to himself.

 

"I don't care what she says, I'm going back."

 

Picking up the phone he dialed information, getting the phone number to the small airport and prepared to make his reservations for his return to Madrid.

 

**

Christopher watched as his sister sat quietly in the corner of the parlor starring out the window across the garden to the festivities that were going on with the coven. She'd kept to herself and had spoken to no one since she had sent Joshua on his way and he wanted so badly to see her smile just once.

 

She had watched in silence as each member of the coven embraced their mates a few nights before and without a word she slipped away into the darkness, disappearing into the woods not to be seen again until the next evening and Christopher was worried about her.

 

A party had been held the past two nights since the embracings and Christabela had not joined in on the gatherings at all. Christopher had left her alone with her thoughts as McKeer and Laurent had wished, but enough was enough and he moved across the room squeezing himself into the chair next to her smiling as she turned her head his way.

"After centuries of waiting I thought I was finally going to get to know my sister, but all I see is sadness. Your thoughts of him have been non stop, why did you send him away?"

 

"Our life is not an easy one." She smiled sadly. "His life is dedicated to the one we stand against. Asking him to give all that up and live an eternity of battles and uncertainty is wrong. I just can't do it."

 

He slipped his arm around her shoulders and took in a breath of the air around him as she laid her head on his shoulder closing her eyes.

 

"You know, Christabela, you should have given him the opportunity to make that decision on his own, he may have just surprised you. Maharet has been preparing him for this for a couple of years now. He obviously feels pretty strongly about you to risk his life going against father and saving not only you, but me as well. He never left your side that night and we all know what his decision was going to be. So tell me.....what are you so afraid of, because I feel your fear."

 

Raising her head from his shoulder, she stood from the chair, folding her arms loosely across her chest, and stood in front of the window watching as the coven laughed and sipped at their wine having a good time.

 

"I don't know what I fear. Maybe I fear father will return, or maybe that Joshua will regret choosing the darkness over the life he had, or maybe......"

 

"Maybe you just fear falling in love precious one."

 

She dropped her arms to her side and turned to the sound of Maharets voice, leaning against his chest as he wrapped his arms securely around her.

 

"You've had to hide your whole life and that is all you know how to do. You don't know how to let yourself be free and face whatever is going to happen."

 

He placed his hands on her shoulders and pushed her slightly away from him allowing him to see her face as he slide his finger under her chin tilting her face up toward him.

 

"Love is the biggest fear you will ever have to face in your life, but it's the best feeling you will ever experience. I loved your mother with all my heart and soul and losing her killed me. I no longer cared to live an eternity without her, but I had you to look after and that is what kept me going......you and to seek out Joshua. He loves you with all his heart Christabela and he's willing to give up everything to walk eternity with you. That, precious one, shows true love."

 

Maharets words stabbed at her and deep down she knew he was right, but no matter what, the fear still remained strong and her decision still and would always remain the same, Joshua belonged and Salem and she didn't want him back.

 

 

"I know what I feel and I don't want Joshua here." She stated firmly, turning her face away from Maharet and quickly moving across the room in anger at her own self. "The coven is together, we are whole for the first time and soon the children will begin to be born and Christopher and I will have our hands full teaching them their powers and limits and our way of life. It is our responsibility as the leaders to......."

 

"Hold on." Christopher chuckled, standing from the chair and holding his hand into the air stopping her. "I have a mate dear sister, and though we are responsible for the teaching of the coven those children will have their fathers to teach them and I am going to spend time with Yvette and our future children and I hope....." he smiled, cupping her face in his hands. ".....to get to know my sister."

 

She sighed, letting her eyes close for a brief moment and opened them looking into the brown eyes that stared back at her full of love and concern, and smiled nodding her head.

 

"You are right. Go spend time with Yvette and you and I will chat later, perhaps take a trip into the city for a feeding."

 

Pushing herself up on her toes, she kissed the corner of his mouth lightly and pulled away from him patting him on the shoulder before walking out the doorway of the parlor.

***

Joshua stepped from the plane and pulled the strap of his carryon bag back upon his shoulder as he looked around the crowd of people that moved around the small airport as though one of them should be waiting for him. Finding the castle was going to be a chore, but he had a vague memory of where is was and his determination was going to get him there one way or another.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: vampire