Disclaimer: I do not know, own, am related to, met, or anything else related to the members of Nsync, their families, friends, record and management companies. It’s all fiction. Don’t sue me please. Just a university student, not like I have any money to give you anyway. Oh and the song is Selfish. It was written by JC Chasez, Jolyon Skinner and Veit Renn. Performed by Nsync. All rights and lyrics, etc. belong to them not me.

Romance/Little bit of Humour maybe?

Authors Notes: This for obvious reasons is not like my usual stories, so yes it is a romance but perhaps a very subtle one, it revolves more around the development of a friendship and friendship into love and sort of where everyone but the two main characters realize that love. So yeah… This is for Chantal who once asked me when we first started chatting if I would ever write a romance. You’ll see after reading this why I don’t.

If you would like to try out my other stories or read some wonderful stories by other authors check out my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/nsyncbasedfanfiction/

 

Can’t Live Without You (Not So Short, Short Story)



The musical tones of the doorbell brought Karen Chasez out of her thoughts. Quickly drying her hands and moving away from the sink where she had been washing dishes she made her way to the front door. Smiling widely after opening the door revealing her somewhat flustered looking neighbour.

“Hi Karen.” The woman in front of her said.

“Hi Helen.” Karen greeted warmly. Wrinkling her eyebrows, as she looked down for her other visitor and not seeing her. “Where’s Abigail?”

“Oh.” Helen said embarrassed reaching behind her to pull her 6-year-old daughter in front of her. “She’s a little shy.”

Karen smiled and looked down at the young girl trying desperately to disappear behind her mother again. She was a relatively small thing, with big blue eyes and blond hair that was pulled back into two braided pig tails one with a blue ribbon tying it off and one with a purple ribbon and was wearing blue jeans overalls and a light purple t-shirt. Her smile never faltering towards the nervous little girl Karen knelt down so that she was at eye level with the child.

“Hi Abby. Can I call you Abby? I’m Karen.” Waiting for the small child to nod her head timidly and mutter a very quiet hello she continued on. “Mommy has to go out for a little while so you’re going to stay hear with me. I have a son your age too so the three of us are going to have a lot of fun. Is that ok?”

The little girl looked up at her mother with tears forming in her eyes as if hoping to persuade her mom from going out. Sensing this her Mother decided it was time to make a quick exit.

“You be a good girl for Mrs. Chasez ok Abby? I’ll be back as soon as possible.” She said scooping the child into a hug before straightening back up. “Thanks again Karen. I should only be a few hours.”

“Go ahead we’ll be fine.”

They waited on the doorstep until Helen’s car was out of sight before Karen spoke again.

“How about we go back inside and I’ll get Josh?” Karen said offering her hand to the little girl.

Reaching the where the bottom of the stairs were Karen called up to her son.

“Josh our company is here!”

Moments later the sound of little feet leaving a room from somewhere upstairs could be heard and she watched as her son came running down the stairs. On instinct she grabbed Abby’s shoulders lightly to prevent her from ducking again. As the young brown haired boy reached the bottom of the stairs he froze as he caught a glimpse of the visitor all he previous confidence flying out the window.

“Abby this is my son Josh. He is 6 too you know. Josh this is Abby, she lives next door to us.” Karen waited as the two children eyed each other with what looked like mild interest. Just when she thought that neither of the children were going to get enough confidence to speak up Josh spoke.

“You have blue eyes like me.” He said off handed.

She watched as though all self-consciousness disappear and the two 6 year olds started talking adamantly to each other, smiling at the randomness of their conversations.

“Josh why don’t you take Abby to the living room and I’ll get you guys some milk and cookies and you two can watch a movie?”

“OK!” He said smiling brightly and grabbing the young girl’s hand tugging her quickly out of sight.

Karen smiled and shook her head at what just happened turning to the kitchen to get the pair their snack. She had a feeling she just witness the start of a very long and good friendship.

* About 10 years later. *

Karen opened her front door to see her somewhat frantic looking young neighbour and her son’s best friend. The young girl now 16 had grown up considerably. Her hair had darkened up a bit and no longer did she have the pudgier baby face that all 6 year olds tended to have. All and all she turned out to be a very beautiful young lady and Karen could only imagine that would only increase in the years to come.

“Oh Hi Mrs. Chasez.” Abby greeted warmly taking a big breath and starting into her speech. “I’m really sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you would mind if I used your piano for a bit… I would use ours but it is really horribly out of tune and I can hardly tell if I’m playing the piece right…. And we would get it fixed but my recital is tomorrow so there really isn’t enough time to… and I hate bugging because I know it will make a lot of noise…. But if you don’t mind that would be great… but of course if you are really busy I understand and in that case I’ll be getting out of your hair… I knew it you’re busy aren’t you? I’m really sorry for bugging you… you know what I’ll just leave now and…”

“Take a breath child! You know I think you and Josh spend to much time together you both panic and get flustered to easily.” Karen said over Abby’s rambling smiling at the blush that graced the young girl’s features. “Of course you can borrow our piano for a little while. Its just me here right now I think, but it is probably better that way if you need to concentrate on practicing. You would never get anything done with Josh here.” Karen said winking at Abby and smiling more as the colour of the blush deepened on the young girl’s face.

“Are you sure I wouldn’t be bothering you?” Abby asked timidly and for a moment Karen was reminded of the 6-year-old on her front step ten years prior.

“Of course not. I taught you how to play didn’t I? You know where it is.” Karen said stepping aside and letting Abby through, nodding as she gave thanks and disappeared down the hall to where their piano was.

Josh, home on break from filming for the Mickey Mouse Club arrived home about 30 minutes later to hear someone playing the piano. Dropping his bag quickly to the ground he made his way down the hall stopping in the doorway seeing his friend of 10 years lost in thought and playing random things on the piano. Smiling to himself he spoke.

“That’s a great tune but do you take requests?”

Abby who hadn’t heard his approach startled and jumped slightly spinning quickly around to see who spoke, turning so quickly however that she toppled from the piano bench and hit the ground hard, hitting her head on the side of the piano as she fell.

Shocked Josh rushed over to Abby kneeling down next to her to see if she was all right.

“Umm…. Ow.” Abby said holding a hand to the place her head hit the piano corner and sitting up slightly.

“Oh gosh I’m so sorry Abby! I didn’t think you would be that scared! Here let me see!” Josh said reaching out to move her hand so he could inspect her head but was stopped short as she reached out and hit him lightly upside the head.

“Idiot! What are you trying to do kill me!” She exclaimed.

“You’re fine.” Josh said smiling at his friend but still reaching out and moving her hand so he could see where she hit her head. He moved in close to her head to see the area.

“Well you aren’t bleeding or anything but you’ll probably have a nice bump there.” He said moving his face slightly so he could look her in the eyes.

In that moment both froze at the closeness of their faces. Staring into each other’s eyes, neither said anything nor made any move to remove themselves from their current position.

Unbeknownst to the pair Karen who had heard the commotion arrived at door and stood in the doorframe taking in the scene in front of her. Her son and his best friend were on the floor near the piano, faces inches apart and looked to be on the verge of a kiss. A little surprised but not shocked she cleared her throat to gain the attention of the two teenagers in front of her trying not to laugh at how quickly they jumped apart as though caught doing something wrong.

“Hi sweetheart, I didn’t hear you come in.” Karen said to her son. “I heard a noise from in here and just came to make sure everything was ok.”

She smiled brightly as the two teenagers both started talking rapidly trying to explain their position and then both blushing as they realized what they were doing.

“I’ve only been home for a few minutes mom. But I heard the piano playing and I came in here to see who it was and when I saw it was Abby I thought I would try and scare her… Only it seems I did too good of a job at it and she jumped and fell from the bench hitting her head. I was just making sure she was alright.” Josh said in one big breath.

“Sure you were sweetheart.” Karen said with a smile. “Are you all right Abby?”

“Yes Mrs. Chasez I’m ok. Thank You.” The girl said blushing even redder.

“Ok. Good. Well I’m going to go making dinner. Would you like to stay Abby or are you expected home?”

“My parents are out at a dinner tonight Mrs. Chasez but I don’t want to be a bother…”

“Oh not a bother at all.” Karen said smiling at her young neighbour and excusing herself from the room. Pausing as she got a few feet from the door to hear the conversation inside the room.

“I’m sorry about that Abby.” She heard her son say obviously trying not to laugh. “But now that I know you are ok you should have seen your face.” He continued obviously losing the battle with his laughter.

“Oh shut up.” She heard Abby say followed by a loud “OW!” from her son.

Humming and smiling to herself she made her way back to the kitchen. Only a matter of time now.

* About 5 years after that *

“Come on guys! Clean up your mess! Abby will be here in 20 minutes!” JC said surveying the room where his friends and band mates sat in various degrees of dishevelment.

“Abby? Jace we’re in Europe.” Chris said ready to start making fun.

“And she is coming over here for her 2 week summer vacation. I told you guys this a month ago!” JC exclaimed.

“Man she must really like you if she’s dragging herself out to Europe to see your butt.” Justin said distractedly as he played the Play Station with Chris.

“Yeah well in the what is it now? 5 or 6 years I’ve known Jace and by default Abby those two have always been skating around the issue of hooking up.” Joey said

“Excuse me?” JC said stopping his task of picking up the empty pizza boxes and pop cans and looking at Joey in shock.

“Oh come on C. Everyone sees the looks the two of you give each other but you two. There was even a pool while the Mickey Mouse Club was still on the air on when you two would finally get your acts together and become a couple.”

JC stared wide-eyed and mouth open at his friends. “Wha…?”

“Oh right I remember that. I went out a couple years ago I think.” Justin added.

“Huh….?”

“I won by default. I had the last bid and that was a year ago now I think.” Joey said looking at Justin.

“You are telling me that…” JC started but Lance ever the peacemaker he was sensing an outburst spoke up.

“I’ve always liked Abby. She’s a really nice and sweet girl.” Lance tried.

“There were a few times we got close to it.” JC blurted out and then looked mortified at doing so.

“Sorry JC?” Lance asked.

“There were a few times that we got close to like kissing or whatever but someone always came in or the phone would ring or whatever that would interrupt us. It was always weird after those moments too… I don’t know it wasn’t like I didn’t want to kiss her or anything but there was always this feeling that held me back.”

“Oh. Well you know man it isn’t too surprising. You two have known each other for most of your lives. I’m sure she knows more about you then you even know about yourself sometimes. If you are really interested then you two need to talk to each other about it.” Lance said while the other guys nodded their assent.

“Yeah well it doesn’t matter.” JC dismissed. “Now will you guys help me straighten out this place she’ll be here any minute!”

As if on cue there was a small knock at the door. Dropping everything he held in his hands JC made his way to the door and pulled it open quickly. Seeing his friend standing there with a huge smile on her face. Immediately he pulled her forward and into a big hug, pulling her up off her feet and swinging her around in a circle twice.

“Abby! It’s soooo good to see you! How are you? Did you have a nice trip? Where are your bags?” He said putting her down and looking to the empty space behind her.

“I’m fine. The Flight was bumpy, my bags are already in my room we stopped there really quickly to drop them off.” She replied smiling. Letting out a smile noise of surprise as JC scooped her up into another big hug, but quickly relaxing into it. “Its really great to see you too. I can’t tell you how much I’ve missed having you around to bug.”

“Geez man, let the girl breath.” Joey said stepping forward and giving her a hug. “Hey girl.” He said with a smile.

“Hey Joe.” She smiled back. “How are you?”

“Great. Just great.”

“Good.” She said with a smile as she turned around and met with a pair of bright green eyes. “Oh my gosh aren’t you Lance Bass! I just have to have your autograph!”

“Hey Abby. Nice to see you again.” Lance said smiling warmly and giving her a quick hug.

“Hey Lance.” She said as was hugged by a tall person from behind. “Well hello Curls and how are you doing?”

“I’m great. How did you know it was me?” Justin said with a laugh releasing her from the hug, already sensing her answer.

“Well the only person who hasn’t said hello to me and as far as I know he is about 4 feet high.”

“Hey!” Chris said indignantly stepping forward and opening his arms for a hug. Smiling as she surveyed him with scepticism.

“Promise no tricks like the last time?” She asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Cross my heart and hope to die. I have no practical jokes on my person.” Chris said with a sly smile.

“Its nice to see you Chris.” Stepping forward into the offered hug, Abby was shocked as she was abruptly picked up and thrown over the older man’s shoulder.

“I just thought you might like to see the hotel’s pool.” Chris said running out the door with her still over his shoulder.

“Christopher Kirkpatrick you put me down this instant!” Abby shouted laughing.

“CHRIS!” JC called exasperatedly out the door after them as the other three in the room rolled around on the floor with laughter.

***

The two weeks went by really quickly… to quickly in JC’s opinion. It had been so nice having Abby around constantly just like old times and he wasn’t relishing having to say goodbye to her in a couple hours and he had a feeling she felt the same way.

The pair were laying on the stomachs on Abby’s bed watching some TV show with bad reception getting in a last few minutes alone together before Abby went back to the States and the group got back to serious work. Neither had talked for sometime now, both just content to sit in each other’s company. But Abby sighed softly and hit the power button on the remote control turning off the TV and rolling to her side so she could look at JC.

“So how’s it really going Josh? You all look so tired and are working to hard.” Abby said passing a critical eye over her long time friend.

“You know most people call me JC now. Just you and my mom seem to be stuck on Josh.” Josh said rolling to his side too in order to look her in the face.

“Please. I’ve known you since we were six. You were Josh then and you’re Josh now. I’m not about to start calling you JC because you are going to be famous.” Abby said rolling her eyes but smiling just the same.

“Whatever you say ABIGAIL.” JC said with a smile tapping her on the nose with his finger.

“That’s right JOSHUA.” Abby said back. “And you didn’t answer my question.”

“Well you know its tough.” JC sighed. “We work so hard and often see so little progress with our careers. But we never know which appearance is going to help make us big so for the time being we are content to put in the work in search of that moment. How about you? How is school going?”

“Its good. Tough. But good. In a couple years I should have my degree and I’ll be able to be teaching back home. I still visit the old elementary school. I work part time there helping out the kindergarten teacher. She is really nice. You know she told me she is holding out on retiring until I have my degree and can take over for her, the principle agrees too so it looks like I’m all set for a job when I graduate.” Abby said with a smile.

“Hey that’s really cool.” JC said.

Silence flooded the room once again as the pair just lay there looking at each other. Eventually JC sighed and bowed his head. It was now or never, if he wanted to approach the topic.

“Hey Abby?”

“Hmmm?”

“Did you know back when I was doing the Mouse Club, the cast and a few others had a pool going on when we would hook up? Like, romantically?” He said deciding to take a round about way to it.

“You’re kidding right?” Abby said sitting up a little.

“Nope. Joey was telling me about it a couple weeks ago. He won in case you are wondering… but only because he had picked the last date and we still weren’t an item.”

“Well… that’s kind of embarrassing.” Abby said cheeks going crimson.

“Have you ever thought of it?”

“What?”

“Us. Together as a couple.”

“I… uh…. Well to be honest yes.” Abby said flushing even redder.

“When?” JC asked.

“Well… there have been several times over the years where at least I thought you were going to kiss me… usually right after them.” She answered, sitting up completely so that she was cross-legged and hiding her face in her hands.

JC quickly sat up and moved closer to her, taking her hands from her face and tilting her chin up so that she was looking him in the eyes.

“And if I did kiss you? Would you hate me for it? I don’t know disown me as a friend?” JC said never breaking eye contact.

“Honestly Josh. Do you have to be so dramatic? If I haven’t gotten rid of you yet I’m not going too.” Abby joked trying to hide her embarrassment, looking down at where his hands still held her wrists.

“Now you are the one not answering my question. What would happen if I was to kiss you right now?” JC said leaning forward a little more.

“I… I don’t know.” Abby said timidly.

“Ok.”

And with that JC leant forward all the way and kissed her. Several moments passed as they both lost themselves in the long overdue kiss. All JC could think was that he had his answer, and that it felt so right to be kissing Abby. He was shocked however as she abruptly pulled away from the kiss as if all the sudden realising what she was doing. For several minutes they sat there staring into each other’s eyes, neither one wanting to comment on what just happened between them. Just as JC was about to say something Abby spoke up.

“I better get to the Airport.” She said quickly getting up off the bed and searching around the room to make sure she had all her stuff.

“Oh. Ok. Want me to see if I can con one of the bodyguards into letting me come with you?”

“No. I’ll be alright and you’ll just get in trouble.” She said with a small almost sad smile. Stepping forward she embraced her long time friend. “Try not to stay away from home too much longer you hear me?” She whispered in her ear.

“I won’t.” JC said savouring the hug, reluctantly letting go as she stepped back from him.

“Say goodbye to the rest of the guys for me.” She said walking to the door. “And take care of yourself Josh.”

With that she was gone and JC could only stare at the door wondering what that was all about.

* 4 years later *

“Thanks so much for having me over Mrs. Chasez.” Abby said sitting in the Chasez living room.

“Oh its my pleasure dear. I could use the company; I’ll admit it is just as much a selfish invitation as anything else. Plus I would imagine it can get a little lonely over in that house all by yourself.”

“A little, but I always have my pets to keep me company so it isn’t to bad.” Abby said shrugging.

“Well you know you are welcome here anytime.” Karen said smiling.

“Thank you.” Abby said smiling back.

“So how are things? How has your class been this year?”

“Little monsters, everyone of them.” Abby said with a joking smile. “No all the kids are great it will be sad to see school end this year.”

“I’m sure it would be.”

“So have you heard from Josh recently?” Abby asked timidly.

“You haven’t?!” Karen asked shocked.

“Well yes I have… sort of at least. They been so busy writing, recording and promoting this new album we haven’t really gotten a chance to talk at length. I’ve gotten a couple phone calls and e-mails that come several days apart… I just thought you might have had better luck talking with him.” Abby said trying to sound indifferent.

“Oh. Well the last time I talked with him they were busy running around all over to promote the album.”

“Oh.”

Karen looked at Abby for a minute. It was obvious to everyone that her son and Abby both liked each other very much, and both wanted something more than just friends. But it was simply baffling that neither of the two would make the first move. They had been skating on thin ice around the issue for many years now and seemed no closer to resolving it. It took all Karen’s and other peoples strength not to interfere and give the pair the little push they needed. They knew that wasn’t the way to handle the situation. Sighing Karen lifted up the top on the teapot.

“I’m just going to go make us a little more tea. Make yourself comfortable.” Karen said smiling at the young women.

“Ok. Mrs. Chasez. Thanks.” Abby said smiling, watching as Karen left the room.

When the older women disappeared from site Abby’s smile fell. Getting up from her seat she wondering around the room, stopping every so often to pick up a picture and look at it. Finally coming to the piano she sat down and started to randomly play soft melodies, deep in thought.

***

Karen stood in the kitchen humming to herself while she made a new pot of tea and got out some more cookies and put them on a plate, not hearing the front door open quietly or footsteps making the way to the kitchen. Only when a familiar voice filled to room did she gasped out loud startled and spin to face the new visitor.

“Well now there is no doubt where my musical talent comes from.”

“JOSH!” Karen said facing her son and clutching at her chest in an attempt to slow her heartbeat. “Don’t you dare sneak up and scare me like that again young man!” Karen said smiling and quickly moving to her son and embracing him in a hug.

“Yes Mom.” JC said hugging her back.

“What on earth are you doing here? I thought you guys were so busy with promoting the album?” Karen asked standing back and holding her son’s face in her hands.

“We were but we managed to convince Johnny to let us have a couple days off right before it was released. I thought I would come home, I wanted to surprise you so that’s why I didn’t tell you I was coming when I talked to you a couple days ago.”

“Well you certainly did surprise me honey. Your Father will be shocked to see you when he gets home and I think both Heather and Tyler are coming home this weekend, so it will be nice to have you all home.”

“I know they are. They know I’m here. We’ve been planning for a week or so now.” JC said smiling at his mother.

“Oh you evil evil children of mine.” Karen said smiling and hugging her son again.

“So how are you mom? What’s…” JC started but stopped as the sound of a piano filled the house.

JC looked questioningly over at his mother who was simply smiling knowingly.

“Oh. I forgot to mention that I have some company over right now… Why don’t you go say hello and tell her that the tea will be delayed a little longer.” Karen said.

JC frowned slightly still confused but made his way to the living room none-the-less. As he reached the living room he stopped in the doorway, face breaking out into a large smile. It all made sense now. He watched from the door frame as Abby stopped playing the random tune on the piano, standing perfectly still hoping that she wasn’t aware of his presence nearly sighing out loud as she started playing something else moments later. He stood watching for a few minutes an evil grin spreading over his face as he remembered the incident from about 10 years previously. Waiting until he thought she was really into what she was playing he spoke up.

“That’s a great tune but do you take requests?”

“Depends on who is requesting them.” She replied not stopping or turning around from the keys.

Josh stood there mouth agape for a few seconds. She had known he was there but he hadn’t made any noise to alert her to his presence. He watched as Abby turned slightly on the bench to face him, her smile brilliant.

“You know Josh I must say your sneaking up skills are in serious need of practise. Next time try not waiting so long and using a little less than half a bottle of your cologne.” She answered his silent question with a wide smile. “ Well or you just going to stand there and gawk at me or are you going to come in and give me a hug?” said continued standing up and moving a few steps away from the piano.

Not needing the invitation to be repeated twice Josh quickly crossed the room and embraced Abby in a hug that lasted several long moments before either broke away.

“Its good to see you.” Josh said pulling her back into another quick hug.

“Its good to see you too.” Abby said closing her eyes and relishing the hug. “Here sit down and talk to me. What on earth are you doing here?” She said sitting back down on the piano bench facing away from the keys.

“We got a few days off right before the album is released so I can home. I never expected to see you here.” Josh said sitting down next to her.

“Well you know how much I like your mom. Just couldn’t say no when she invited me over.” Abby said with a blush. “So how is the album? You guys happy with it?”

“It is really good. We like it, now it is just up to the fans to let us know what they think.” He answered turning to face the piano and playing a soft tune Abby didn’t recognise.

“That is a pretty tune. Is that on the album?”

“Yup.” Josh said continuing to play.

“One of the songs you wrote?” frowning when he paused briefly before starting again.

“One of them yes.”

“What is it called?”

“Selfish.”

“Oh.”

“You know I wrote it for you.” Josh said after a moment’s hesitation.

“Really?” Abby asked slightly taken off guard.

“Yeah. I was thinking about you one night and it just came to me.”

“Would you sing it for me?”

“I can get the copy of the CD I brought and play it for you, hold on.” Josh said moving to get up but stopped as a hand caught his wrist. He looked at Abby’s face.

“No that’s ok just sing it for me here.”

“Well it wouldn’t sound right without the different instruments and the guys voices…” he said trying to convince her otherwise.

“That’s ok. I’ll take the risk.” She said with a small sarcastic smile pulling at her lips.

“You sure?” He asked one more time.

“I’m sure.”

“Ok then.” He said sitting himself back in front of the piano and started to play.

I just don't understand Why you running from a good man, baby Why you wanna turn your back on love And why you've already given up See I know you've been hurt before But I swear I'll give you so much more I swear I'll never let you down 'Cause I swear it's you That I adore

And I can't help myself, babe 'Cause I think about you constantly And my heart gets no rest over you, you you yeah

You can call my selfish But all I want is your love And you can call me hopeless baby 'Cause I'm hopelessly in love You can call me unperfect but who's perfect Tell me what do I gotta do To prove that I'm the only one for you

So what's wrong with being Selfish

I'll be taking up your time Till the day I make you realise That for you there could be no one else I just gotta have you for myself Baby, I would take good care of you Now matter what is you're going through I'll be there for you when you're in need Baby, believe in me

'Cause if love is a crime Then punish me I would die for you 'Cause I don't want to live without you What can I do, oh

You can call my selfish But all I want is your love And you can call me hopeless baby 'Cause I'm hopelessly in love You can call me unperfect but who's perfect Tell me what do I gotta do To prove that I'm the only one for you

Why do you keep us apart Why won't you give up your heart You know that we're meant to be together

Why do you push me away All that I want is to give you love Forever and ever and ever

You can call my selfish But all I want is your love And you can call me hopeless baby 'Cause I'm hopelessly in love You can call me unperfect but who's perfect Tell me what do I gotta do To prove that I'm the only one for you

Selfishly I'm In love with you 'Cause I've searched my soul And know that it's you Selfishly I'm In love with you 'Cause I've searched my soul And know that it's you Selfishly I'm In love with you 'Cause I've searched my soul And know that it's you

I’ll prove that I'm the only one for you So what's wrong with being Selfish, selfish, selfish

So what's wrong with being Selfish.

As he finished the song he turned to look at her, seeing her staring back at him with tears running down her face, it only lasted a minute though because the movement seem to jolt Abby into motion. Quickly standing up she made to run away from him. He got up and stopped her quickly before she could leave the room and lead her back to the piano bench.

“Talk to me Abby. Tell me why you keep running away from this. I know you have the same feelings as I do.”

“Its just…” she started but stopped again concentrating on a speck of dirt on the floor only she could see.

“Its just what?” He repeated grabbing her face with her hand and gently turning it so that she was looking at him. “If you don’t tell me I’ll never know.” He said wiping the tears from her cheeks with his thumbs.

“I don’t know… it’s just… I’ve known you since we were practically babies Josh. You’ve been my best friend for the better part of about 20 years now. I’m… I’m afraid that if we pursue this and it doesn’t work out then I’ll lose you as my best friend. And I can’t handle that. This way is better than no way at all.” She said another tear slipping down her cheek.

“It wouldn’t.” He said wiping the tear away again.

“How do you know that?” She asked incredulously.

“Because… well because it is you and I wouldn’t let it. Abby I’ve been in love with you since I think practically the moment I realised that girls weren’t as yucky as I originally thought them to be.” He said with a smile as she gave a small laugh and a teary smile. “I promise you that we won’t lose our friendship. I love you Abby but I’ll take you any way I can, the last thing I want is to lose our friendship because of this. Besides we already know everything there is to know about each other so it isn’t like there are any secrets between us. I promise you that our friendship will always come first and if at any time it is suffering then we will just go right back to being best friends. But can we at least give this a try Abby? We’ve been avoiding it for so long now and it isn’t fair to each other. I think we owe it to ourselves to at the very least give it a try.”

They stared into each other eyes as a long silence stretched between then. Just as Josh was about to give up and let go of her face in defeat Abby very quietly spoke up.

“Ok.” She whispered.

“Ok?”

“Yeah… ok.”

“Well it’s about time.” A voice said from the door.

“Mom!” JC exclaimed.

“What? I’m just saying you two have been…”

“MOM!”

“Alright, Alright I’m going. You don’t have to scream at me. It is my house you know.” She said laughing and walking away leaving Josh blushing and Abby laughing quietly.

“You. Don’t encourage her.” Josh said turning to Abby and softly chiding her.

“Don’t look at me she is your mom.” She answered with a smile.

“Yeah she is and I love her dearly but right now I have something else on my mind.”

“Oh yeah? And what is that?”

“I’m thinking that I’m going to kiss you know.”

“Yeah? Well I’m thinking I’m not going to stop you.”

“Good.” Josh said leaning and kissing her for a good long minute, pulling back and looking at Abby.

“Wow.”

“Yeah. That wasn’t so bad now was it? I didn’t turn into some two headed monster.” Josh joked.

“No it wasn’t. But as for the monster thing I don’t know your hair is getting rather long now so I can’t really say for sure if you are or not.” She said laughing getting up quickly to run away from him.

“Hey!” He said taking off after her and grabbing her around the waist tickling her mercilessly. “Give up?” he asked over her shrieks.

“Yes! Stop it!”

“Yes! I win!” He said turning her around in his arms so she was facing him. “Can I kiss you again now?”

“You better.” Abby said smiling wide.

“Yes Ma’m.” Josh said mock saluting and he did.

THE END.

 


Completed
maplebeanie is the author of 3 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers jc