Author's Chapter Notes:
Hopefully this get the ball rolling....enjoy!

Harper strolled into the kitchen the next morning and she smiled as she took a seat at the counter. Behind the counter, JC had his back turned to her, grabbing a box of cereal from one of the cabinets. When he turned back around, she greeted him.

“Good morning, JC.” Her smile still on her face, her chocolate eyes making contact with his crystal blues.

“Mornin’, Harp.” He smiled in return and then pushed the cereal box he had in front of her. “You want some?”

She eyed the box and saw it was Honeycombs. “Yeah, sure. It’s one of my favorite cereals.”

He grabbed two bowls and two spoons, as well as milk, and then he walked around the counter, taking a seat beside Harper.

He allowed her to pour her milk and cereal first and then he made his own bowl. They munched on their cereal in silence for a moment then, allowing the sugar to wake up their systems even more before they spoke again.

JC swallowed a huge spoonful, before he cleared his throat and smiled once more at Harper. “So, do you have any plans today?”

She nodded her head. “I actually got a call late last night for a meeting, so I have that in the early afternoon. Plus I want to start a newer collection today. Leelee told me if I’m going to make it in LA, I should try to take a risk and show them something fashion forward. The kind of jewelry that no one else has put out yet.”

JC nodded. “Is that all?”

“Oh…and I’m helping a friend prepare for a blind date.” She smirked and then let out a soft chuckle.

JC rolled his eyes at her, but quickly smiled again. “I appreciate it though. Since you’re a woman, you should know what a woman wants in a man.”

“Well I know what I would want in a man, but you know not every woman is the same.” JC nodded his head.

“That’s true. I’ve met real friendly ones, fake ones, bitchy ones, and then there are the rare type of genuine, sweet, and caring ones. You’re the latter, Harp.”

A small blush crept up on her face. “Thank you. I’m just glad I’m not the bitchy type.”

He laughed. “Never.”

JC then finished off his bowl of cereal. He wasted no time chewing and swallowing. The faster he got it in his stomach, the better. He slurped up the milk on the bottom of his bowl and then licked his lips.

Harper smiled at him. “Good, boy. You finished all your cereal. Now you can go play.”

He laughed. “Nah, I still want to sit here with you and ask questions.”

“Such as?”

“How long do you think you’ll be staying here? How’s your love life? What’s Leelee been up to? Is she seeing anyone? ” He rambled off and Harper tried to catch all the questions.

“Well…for starters, I don’t know when I’ll be out of here. I was thinking I might like to get a loft or small apartment soon, but of course it would be nice to know I have a deal or contract with a distributor or store.” JC nodded, understanding and allowed her to move on to her next answer.

“And as for my love life, I’ll get back to it in a moment. Leelee is still doing great. She is working for a catering company that does huge events in the city. She likes it and she’s content. She’s also worried about my love life, just as you seem to be.” She shook her head. “But…as for her seeing someone one, she very much is. His name is Connor and they’ve been together a year. He’s done a lot of extra or bit parts in films and I think she’s hoping he gets a real role. Leelee isn’t a gold digger, but that doesn’t mean she wouldn’t want a leading man.” JC chuckled a little.

“Well good for her. You should have her come by. It would be nice to see her again.” Harper nodded.

“Will do.”

“So..back to your love life….”

“You just really want to know, huh, Chasez?”

He nodded his head.

“Okay…well I’m still single. Leelee had to bring up Landon yesterday and I felt my heart just drop. It’s been hard moving past him. I’ve gone on a couple dates since, but no one has just blown me out of the water and made me forget about my past.”

JC frowned. “I know he did a number on you. I just didn’t realize you were still hurting this much after this much time.”

“Well you know…it’s hard to push aside the fact you wanted to marry someone and then you find them in bed with someone else on your birthday. It’s like part of you is still mourning the love you lost and the other part of you is kicking yourself for being so dumb and letting your heart get broken.”

JC reached his hand out, letting it take Harper’s, and he gently rubbed over the top of her hand.

“I’m sorry, honey. So sorry. He was a jerk.” Harper laughed bitterly.

“Damn right he was and I was the fool.” JC shook his head.

“Hey, you only saw what you saw and felt what you felt. You didn’t know anything was going on behind your back.”

“True…but still. I just…wish it never happened. ‘Cause now I feel scared about getting into another relationship. Yet, part of me would actually want one. I mean…say I happen to launch my line and everyone in Hollywood wants to wear my jewelry, then I don’t want to have no one to share my success with. I don’t want to only have a bracelet around my wrist, but a man around my arm.” JC nodded and rubbed her hand some more, before he pulled it back.

“Hey, I know someone has to be out there for you. You haven’t given up on your dream, so don’t give up on love.” Harper then laughed.

“Says the man who hasn’t had a serious girl in like three years.”

“Hey now!” He cried out.

“It’s true, Jace, and you know it. Here you are trying to be all Dr. Love and tell me I’ll find someone, when we all know your track record sucks too.”

He laughed. “Thanks for reminding me.”

“Your welcome.” She sassed back.

Then she noticed his demeanor change from a smile to a frown and she wasn’t sure if maybe she’d said the wrong thing now.

“You okay?” Harper asked, standing up and tossing her bowl into the sink.

“Yeah…I’m good.”

“You sure?”

“Well yeah…I mean…I know you told me that I deserve someone and that I need to be loved too, but I guess I’m just not you, Harper. You’re like most chicks who want that fairytale ending and need a prince. I’m like that typical guy that just wants his needs satisfied, doesn’t care too much for commitment.”

Harper sighed. “But I know you’ve been in love. You’ve had your share of heartbreak. You’ve imagined a life with someone before. I won’t name names.”

JC let out his own sigh. “ True..true..but I guess it’s just easier focusing on my career and being a bachelor. In some ways it has more appeal and freedom. I don’t have to be tied own and I can do what I want. I could have a whole taste of the brunette platter and not get bored. I could have sex and then go about my business.”

Harper tossed a look at him that showed her disapproval. “Are you serious?

He shrugged his shoulders.

“ If your mom heard you talking like that, she’d put you in the corner and smack you upside your head, JC.”

“ I wouldn’t be surprised….” He chuckled softly.

“But seriously….I know deep down you aren’t just another Hollywood man whore. You’re one of the best guys I’ve ever met. You know how to treat a lady and from what I know…you’re thoughtful and you have a good heart. I know I told you this already, but you do deserve love and it would be a crying shame for you to end up a bachelor your whole life.”

“Says the girl who hasn’t gotten over an ex and is afraid to love again.” JC smirked.

“Touché.” Harper then sighed and stepped over to JC. She wrapped her arms around him and squeezed him tight.

“At least I want love…you just need to realize you want it.”

She then pulled back from him. “Maybe this date tonight will do you good.”

JC bit down on his lip and spoke softly. “We’ll see….”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her watch said 1 o’clock as she pulled up to an office building, that was in the business district of LA. Harper had a meeting shortly with a man that was interested in seeing what she had to offer the jewelry world.

She took a deep breath and got out of one of JC’s cars, he being nice enough to allow her to use it while she stayed with him. She walked up to the door and opened it, walking up to a main desk in a lobby. She eyed a receptionist and then put a smile on her face.

“Harper Jennings. I’m here to see Luke McDaniels.” The receptionist nodded.

“Go up the elevator to the second floor and his office will be the first one on the right.”

“Thanks.” Harper then walked over to the elevator and she rode it up. When she got off the elevator, she spotted Mr. McDaniel’s office, but noticed his door still shut. So she took a seat in a small waiting area.

After about five minutes passed, she was greeted by a young man, possibly late 20’s or early 30’s. He put his hand out to her and wore a smile on his face. “Miss Jennings? I’m Luke. Luke McDaniels.”

She nodded her head and then shook his head, as she stood up from the chair. “Yes, I’m Harper Jennings.”

“It’s nice to meet you. Come on into my office.”

She followed him into his office and took a seat across from him, as he took a seat behind is desk. The dirty blonde-haired, brown-eyed man, smiled at her again.

“So, I saw some of your stuff when I was out in New York. I thought your jewelry looked stunning. Then when someone pointed you out as the designer I was even more impressed. I’m glad we were able to get into contact and have this meeting.”

She tried to not blush and kept her lips tight as she nodded. “Thank you, sir.”

“You’re very welcome. So did you bring some for me to see today?”

Harper lifted up her tote bag and then pulled out a box. She lifted off the lid and took out the blue and purple beaded necklace JC had been impressed with.

Luke eyed the necklace as Harper handed it to him and he smiled. “Simple, yet pretty. What else have you got?”

Harper showed him the long, gold necklace she’d worn at dinner with JC, as well as a silver necklace with green beads, some dangly earrings with varied metals, and some bracelets she’d made with leather.

“You have quite the eclectic taste and I see you use every sort of material and technique. That’s quite a good thing. I’m truly impressed, Harper Jennings. I mean…I could see this selling in boutiques.”

“Really?!” She cried out, happily. She couldn’t believe that maybe…just maybe..her dream could be coming true.

“Yes, I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t believe it.” She smiled widely.

“Thank you so much.” Luke handed her back all her pieces after he eyed them all one last time.

“I really would love to see more. I know you’ve probably got way more jewelry just waiting to be seen. Next time I’d like you to meet with not only myself, but a potential buyer. I have someone in mind. So how about, we meet up again next week?”

Harper nodded her head. “Yes, of course. Sounds good to me. In fact, I’ll be working on a new collection. Maybe it’ll be done by then.”

“Well perfect…I can’t wait to see what else you have to offer, Miss Jennings.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that evening, JC was in his bedroom, getting ready for his date. He checked his watch, seeing he still had time before he had to leave.

He exited his closet, all dressed and thinking he was looking good, when Harper finally popped into his room.

“What the…?” She started to laugh and shook her head at him. “I should’ve come up here sooner. You’re a disaster, Jace.”

He looked down at himself and then back up at her. “What are you taking about?”

She pointed at his sweater. “No girl wants to feel like she’s on a date with Mr. Rodgers. The grandpa sweater has got to go.”

“Hey! I like it.”

“That’s your problem. You wearing that sweater and liking it, keeps you from winning over a lady, getting her number, and getting laid.” He laughed then.

“Okay….then what do you suggest I wear?” Harper then skipped into his closet like a kid in a candy store. She eyed all the racks of clothing he had and turned to him once he stepped behind her in the closet.

“Well…first, I think you need to wear color. How about some blue?” She asked, but it wasn’t so much a question.

“Ummm…sure.” JC said with his hands in his pockets, waiting for Harper to work whatever magic she thought she had.

Harper grabbed a light blue dress shirt off of a hanger and then she pulled a silky, darker blue vest off a hanger as well. She tossed them at him.

“Here..these will go well together and bring out your eyes. You’ll look clean cut and classy.” JC caught the clothing and just nodded his head.

“Now, you need different pants. The black jeans you have on aren’t doing much. I think some skinny denim jeans would work better.” Harper found a pair that was exactly what she was looking for and handed them to JC.

“Thank you, fashion consultant.” JC smirked.

“You’re welcome, fashion-challenged one.” She said with a chuckle.

Harper then left his room for a moment, giving JC some privacy to change into the new outfit she’d pulled together for him. When he was done dressing, she heard him call out for her to return.

“Harper, check me out!” He called out, looking at himself in his mirror.

She walked up next to him and grinned. “Oh..totally better than what you had on. Now you’re going to owe me if this girl falls for you.”

He laughed. “We’ll see…we’ll see..”

Harper then reached her arm up and ruffled her hand through his hair. “Make sure that nasty part isn’t showing like it always is on ABDC. Gel your hair back some more. Oh…and don’t forget some cologne.”

He tossed her look. “Golly! You’re like nit-picking every little thing about me.” He then quickly grinned though. “But you watch ABDC? I didn’t realize you cared enough to.”

“Yeah, I’ve caught some episodes.” Harper said casually.

“That’s sweet of you.” He ran his hand through his hair and grabbed his gel, fixing his hair. Then he grabbed his cologne off his dresser and spritzed some of it upon his neck.

“Now can I go on my date, mommy?” JC asked, like he was a little boy.”

Harper laughed. “Sure, baby, just come back at a decent hour. I don’t want to have to stay up and worry about you.”

“I’m a big boy. I’ll be fine.” JC grabbed his wallet and slid it into his pocket. “You have a good night, Harper.”

“I will. I’m just hang here and work on more jewelry. You have a great time. Call me if she really is a bitch and you need help.”

JC laughed and then nodded. “Later, Harp.”

With that, JC headed downstairs and left the house and Harper headed into the guest room to change into her pajamas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

It was getting pretty late and Harper was still in front of JC’s television, sitting on her pajamas, and working on her new collection, as she had a rerun of ABDC playing.

She eyed the clock again, it past midnight. She knew from prior knowledge that JC liked to party and could handle being out late, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t worry a little. Yet, it had to be a good sign. If the blind date had been awful, he would’ve come home already.

Her eyes went back to the TV and she laughed as JC gave another funny criticism on the screen. He really was a silly man, but she couldn’t help but love him. Being around him lately had reminded her just how amazing he was and how valuable of a friend he was. Even if he had some neurotic tendencies and twisted theories, he was a rare, one of a kind person. She knew she’d never find anyone quite like him. Which in a way was kind of a sad thing because the world needed more men like him.

Harper shook herself out of a reverie of thoughts and then she heard the door open. She stood up from the couch and then smiled, seeing JC walk into the room.

“Hey.” She said with a simple smile. She noted a smile on his face and his eyes looked a little glazed over.

“Have a good time?” She asked, before he could get a word in.

He stepped closer to her, moving slowly, and nodded his head. “Yeah…”

“How good of a time did you have?”

“A kick ass time.” He answered, his voice sounding a little gritty.

“So what’s her name?” JC furrowed his brow for a moment and then blurted it out.

“Alexis!”

“Well..atleast it’s not Bambi or Candy.” Harper joked.

“Yeah…she was real sweet. I think Justin finally knew what he was doing. She wants to see me again.” A smile plastered onto his face.

“You want to see her again?” JC nodded his head.

“I sure, do. In fact, we swapped numbers and we’re going out again soon.”

Harper grinned. “Sweet deal. You must’ve worked your charm tonight or the clothes did it.”

“It was not the clothes. I’m not giving you the satisfaction, Harp.” He smirked.

“Whatever, Chasez. I’m glad though that you had a good time and you’re seeing her again. It’s a step in the right direction.”

“Maybe..hopefully.” JC said and then let out a long yawn.

“I’m going to go to bed now. That girl wore me out on the dance floor. You coming up?” Harper nodded her head.

“Yeah, I’ll be up in a few minutes. I’ll turn everything off down here.” JC then quickly gave Harper a hug and pecked her forehead.

“Night, honey.”

“Night, Jace.”

Harper then watched him make his way upstairs and she turned his TV off. Then she started packing away her jewelry that she’d been working on. She couldn’t help, but still feel a tingle in her senses from JC’s cologne that she smelled as he’d hugged her. She couldn’t help, but almost be slightly jealous that he came back happy from a date.

“Just go to bed, Harper. Don’t think about silly stuff.” She told herself and then made sure she turned everything off and the house was locked up, before heading up to get some sleep for the night.

Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts, ideas, requests, criticisms...share away.

Incomplete
harmonysparkle is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked What I've Been Looking For also liked 286 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: producerjc