Author's Chapter Notes:

Took a day longer than I planned, but hope the wait was worth it. Enjoy and review. :)

A few days later, JC was out and about running some errands. He thought he might as well get some stuff done while Harper was catching up with another one of her friends who also lived in the LA area.

JC smiled to himself as he walked along the sidewalk, passing by stores on the busy street. He was still very content about having Harper around and he knew they still had some catching up to do. Yet, hopefully tonight when they were both at his house again, they could talk some more.

“JC! JC!” A man that was definitely paparazzi yelled out, causing JC to almost trip himself.

He was startled and his smile disappeared from his face. He turned his head a little and caught sight of the man with a video camera. It was likely he worked for TMZ. JC didn’t say a word and he continued walking as best as he could, trying to remain unaffected.

“JC! Come on..say hello. Don’t be shy. I mean it wasn’t like you were shy about your new lady when you took her out a few days ago.” The man tried again, feeding some bait.

“Hey.” JC said in an irritated, almost sarcastic tone with a half-ass wave.

“So you going to tell me about your new lady or what?” JC’s face contorted in confusion.

“Don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t have anyone in my life right now. Stop acting like you know my business.” The man wouldn’t let up at JC’s response and kept filming him as he walked.

“Then who was the pretty brunette in the blue dress who shared chocolate cake with you?” JC let out a bitter laugh then.

“She is a FRIEND. That is all. Now, I need to go, man. I don’t have time for these games.”

JC then started jogging and he was out of sight of the man a moment later. He hated paparazzi, reporters, and just anyone that came up to him to just get dirt on any aspect of his life. He was a very private person and he liked to keep what he could to himself. It sickened him though that he couldn’t just be seen with someone and just be friends. Every time he was seen with a female, especially brunettes, rumors swirled that he was dating her or that he’d fucked her. It was getting really old, really fast.

He sighed as he walked into the Apple Store, just relieved to not have someone following or questioning him anymore. Now he could try to shop for a new monitor in peace and forget about his failed love life, if only for a little while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harper laughed as Leelee cracked another joke. It was good to be around another familiar face, someone who knew her like a sister. Someone who she could count on and be herself around. Harper had been friends with Leelee ever since they met in high school back on the East coast. Then when Leelee moved out to California a few years ago, the girls hadn’t seen much of each other, but this little reunion was making up for it.

“Still funny as ever.” Harper grinned, after her laughter subsided.

“I aim to amuse.” Leelee said, a proud look on her face. “It really is good to have you out here, girl. You’re a breath of fresh air in this smog-filled city. I really hope LA will treat you right though and you’ll get your line up and running.”

“I hope so too. I’m trying to make some connections and set up some meetings. I really need someone to back me up and believe in my vision.”

“I know someone will, Harper. You’re an awesome designer and your jewelry is quite fun, hip, and cute.” Harper grinned.

“Thanks, Lee.” Leelee then looked at Harper curiously, wanting to getting some information out of her.

Harper groaned as she looked up at the dress she was eyeing on a rack. The girls were doing some shopping, having not been able to shop together since the last time Harper visited.

“What is it?”

“What’s what?” Harper then sighed.

“I see that look, Leelee. Something gives.”

Leelee chuckled then. “Oh….I was going to ask you how it’s been living staying with JC. All you told me is that he saw you in just a bra and boy shorts and you were embarrassed he didn’t know that you were suppose to be staying with him.”

“What’s there to tell…I mean..he’s still as nice as ever. He hasn’t been home much, so we haven’t talked a lot, but things are fine. It’s not that awkward. He’s really let me just make myself at home.” Lee nodded her head.

“That’s good. As long as you can deal with him and it isn’t too close for comfort.”

“Yeah, I think it’s just right. We’re friends and we’ve always respected one another.” Harper picked up a dress from the rack and held it up.

“What do you think?” Lee turned her nose.

“That is hideous. Put it back right now.” Harper chuckled and set the dress back on the rack.

“No guy wants to date some girl wearing something that looks like an ugly, brown smock.”

“Who said I wanted to date someone?” Harper asked, knowing that she was probably giving room for Leelee to pry.

“Me. You really do need to date someone, Harp.”

“Why thank you, oh wise one.” Leelee rolled her eyes.

“I’m serious. You don’t want to be the old lady with twenty cats and living in some old rundown warehouse because you never found your soul mate.” Harper laughed.

“ Leelee, now you know that would never be me! I just haven’t gotten my share of the good luck in the dating department yet. Though when I do, I promise you I’ll live with a man in a normal house.”

“I hope so. You deserve so much better than Landon. He was king of the douches.” Harper felt her entire body freeze at that statement. It was a very sore topic for her and she hadn’t thought about Landon in awhile, but when he was brought up, it really shook her.

“That was …two years ago already, Lee. Why must you even bring him up? I don’t like to remember that I was practically engaged before I found him having sex with some other girl on my birthday.”

“I know. I know..but you can’t just give up because you got burned. I know you really loved Landon and you saw your whole fairytale, but it’s been two freaking years and it’s not worth your time torturing yourself when he already did that to you. You’re so much better than almost all the girls out there and there’s a man out there that will be the luckiest bastard of them all if you’d just open your heart to love again.” Harper felt her eyes well up a little at her friends words. Deep down she knew that Leelee was right.

“Thanks. Sometimes you say the right ways.”

Leelee grinned and then she pulled Harper into her arms, giving her a warm hug. “I love you like a sister, Harp. I just want the best for you.”

Harper nodded her head as she hugged Leelee and then she pulled back, letting out a deep sigh. She didn’t really feel like shopping anymore, but she was a little thirsty.

“You want to get something drink?”

“Sure, there’s a Starbucks up the street.” Harper grinned, widely.

“Perfect. I could use some Starbucks.” Leelee grinned.

“Me too. A caramel frappuccino is like sex.”

“Leelee!” Harper cried out and then laughed.

“Hey it’s true. It’s an orgasm for your taste buds.” Harper continued to laugh.

“Whatever you say…..whatever you say.”

Leelee smiled and led Harper out of the store and the two of them began walking in the direction of Starbucks.

They noticed a convenience store next to the coffee shop and Leelee wanted to go inside before they got their drinks.

“What did you need from here?” Harper asked, as she followed Leelee into the store. It was your usual convenience store with heath products, beauty products, magazines, snacks, and such.

“Oh I don’t need anything, but I just have fun reading the headlines of the magazines sometimes. You think with me living out here as long as I have, I’d be use to Hollywood tabloids and rumors, but I still get a kick out of them.”

Harper shook her head in amusement. “Oh well then, why don’t you pick out a magazine and we can look it over together at Starbucks?”

“Sounds good to me.” Leelee led Harper into the magazine aisle and perused the covers of the magazines. There was one that jumped out at Leelee because Robert Pattinson’s face took up half of the cover.

“This one!” She cried out grabbing it. “He is one sexy vampire.”

Harper laughed and was about to grab the magazine from Leelee, but her friend stopped her. Then she noticed Leelee’s finger pointing at a small picture with a headline on the bottom corner of it.

The picture was of JC and the headline read, “JC Chasez Dining Out with His New Girl” See pg. 22.

“Hmmm..so then pretty boy has himself a new girl, huh? Did he tell you anything about her?” Leelee asked, looking up at Harper.

Harper shook her head slowly. “He hasn’t said a word. Though you know he wouldn’t just come out and tell me his personal life. He could’ve just met her or maybe it’s another lame rumor.”

“True….I guess we’ll see when we’re sitting down and sipping on Starbucks.”

The two girls went to the register to pay for the magazine and then they walked next door to Starbucks. Once they were in line and it was their turn to order, Leelee got her caramel frappuccino and Harper chose a white chocolate mocha.

When the drinks were ready, they grabbed their respective cups, and walked over to a booth in the corner of the coffee shop. Leelee dropped the magazine on the table and opened it as she sipped on her frappuccino. Harper drank her mocha as she eyed the pages of the magazine along with her friend. She knew most things in these kinds of magazine were made up, but she couldn’t help but be amused as well.

What neither girl was expecting was turning to page 22 and finding out just who was supposedly JC’s new girlfriend.

“Oh shit! It’s you, Harper.” Leelee held up the magazine right in front of Harper’s face. There in a color photo was Harper dressed in her blue dress with the plate of cake still at the table from dinner with JC a few days prior.

“What the hell? We were just two friends at dinner. I love how just because I was seen with him, I get falsely labeled.” Harper said with a sigh.

“You sure you’re just friends?” Leelee joked. “ ‘Cause according to the article you and the proof in the picture, you were holding his hand and looking at him lovingly.” Harper flipped off her friend and then smirked.

Leelee laughed. “ You know damn right if it were the truth, you wouldn’t be finding out from a magazine. And….maybe I did touch his hand, but I was being encouraging and a friend.”

“I believe you, Harp. You know how twisted they make things and I know how honest you are with me.”

“Good. Now I just hope I don’t have to deal with these rumors and that people will start harassing me.” Leelee laughed.

“All it takes is for Mr. Chasez to be seen with another brunette and you’ll be long forgotten.” Harper had to laugh at that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that evening , JC had returned home and was just chilling on his couch, with his body taking up the entire thing. His television was on and it was merely just background noise, as he waited for Harper to return.

He wasn’t sure if she would’ve found out about the rumor and if she did, he wanted to apologize and tell her to just ignore it. He hated how these things happened and that sometimes people he personally knew and cared for got caught up in his web of rumors.

“Jace?” A feminine voice called, making JC sit up.

“In here.” He replied and then smiled as he saw Harper step into the room.

“There you are. Hey, pretty boy.” He chuckled.

“Hey, honey.” She grinned.

“So..how come you’re sitting here on the couch when you could be wining and dining your girlfriend? I mean come on….we are dating.”

JC then busted out in laughter and once it subsided, he looked at her apologetically “Yeah…about that. I’m sorry. I had no clue there were cameras near by when we had dinner.”

“I didn’t either, JC. Don’t worry about it. Leelee and I found out by a magazine that had a picture of us two.”

“Oh good god!” He moved a hand to his forehead and shook his head. “Unbelievable.”

Harper chuckled. “ They claimed we were all lovey dovey and shit just because I have my hand on your hand in the photo.”

JC looked at her and rolled his eyes then. “Pretty much the usual.”

Harper finally sat down beside him and she dropped an arm around his. “Hey, at least we can laugh about this.”

He turned his head and tossed her a smile. “You’re right .You have to find the humor in it.”

Harper nodded her head. “And you have to find yourself an even newer “girlfriend” so I can be forgotten.”

“Oh yeah..I’ll be right on it, honey.” JC smirked.

Harper patted his back. “That’s my man.”

JC laughed then and his phone, that was laying on his coffee table, began playing his ring tone. Harper snatched it up before JC could and she eyed the caller ID.

“Justin.” She announced with a smile.

JC grabbed the phone from her and flipped it open “Hey, J. What’s up? Yeah….yeah…Harper is staying here till whenever. Yeah…maybe you can come have a sleepover with her.” He joked. “But yeah…you have someone to hook me up with, huh? I don’t know. I’m sort of sick of this whole thing blind date thing. Ughhh…fiiine. I’ll do it. Okay..I’ll pencil it in. Talk to you later, Justin. Night, man.”

Harper then looked at him expectantly after he ended his call. “Soooo…..did Justin Timberlake and JC Chasez just have a phone call that ended up with JC saying yes to going on a blind date that Justin set up for him?”

“Yes, dork.” He simply answered.

“Calling a girl names won’t get you in her bed.” She mused.

“Well if this girl he’s setting me up with is like the rest, I won’t want to be in her bed.” Harper laughed.

“Well..hey…if it’s any consolation, if it sucks bad, I’ll let you come to the guest room bed and get a cuddle.

JC feigned excitement. “Oh yay.”

She then poked him in his stomach. ‘So when is the date?”

“Tomorrow night.”

“That might not be enough time to get you into tip top dating shape.”

JC stuck his tongue out at her and she grinned.

“But yeah, I’ll help you out. Make sure you leave the house dressed normal.”

“Okay, thanks, mom.” Harper laughed.

She had to admit it had been rather great staying with JC so far. Their witty banter just fell right into place and brought her more smiles than she’d had in a long time.

“You’re very welcome.”

JC looked at her and he smiled, giving her a friendly nudge in the shoulder.

“It’s good to have you around.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: producerjc