Harper stretched her arms and her entire body for that matter as he woke up the next morning. She had slept wonderfully in the comfortable queen bed that was in JC’s guestroom. She let out a soft moan and opened her eyes to the sunlight that was peeking through the shades. After taking a look at the time on the alarm clock next to the bed, she knew she really did need to get up and was more than ready. She was excited in a way to see LA again and to reconnect with JC.

She slid out of bed and decided to quick take a shower. There was a bathroom right across the hall, which she had memorized the layout of the house, having stayed there before. Harper stepped to the bathroom and started the water after shutting the door. She waited for it to get hot enough before jumping into the stall. She grinned seeing that a bottle of shower gel, as well as shampoo she’d left on her last visit, was still in the shower caddy and ready for her to use. Lord knew she would feel better smelling like lilacs instead of some woodsy masculine scent.

After rubbing her skin down and shampooing her hair, Harper turned the water off and grabbed a towel that was folded on a shelf. She opened it up and then ran it through her hair, before drying off and wrapping it around her body.

She exited the bathroom and she still hadn’t heard a noise. Maybe JC was still sleeping or maybe he was down in his studio playing around. She’d figure it out as soon as she got dressed and fixed her appearance. Harper realized though as she was opening one of her suitcases that the air in the house was cool once again and that the warm air she’d felt last night was gone. Good thing she wouldn’t have to be scantily clad again.

Harper grabbed a bra and another pair of boy shorts. She put them on her body and then found what she wanted to wear today. Today’s outfit would be a simple, royal blue sundress with some cute ruffles on the bottom. Harper wasn’t the most feminine girl, nor was she the most tomboyish. She had her own in-between style and her fashion varied from day to day. For whatever reason she wanted to be girly today.

She even found a long, copper beaded necklace she’d created and had considered one of her classic pieces. It went down to just above her navel and gave a youthful, free-spirited vibe to her look. She was glad she’d also gotten a manicure and a pedicure before she came. It was always summery weather in Los Angeles for the most part and people liked showing off their skin, tan, and nails. Flip-flops were popular and so were perfectly cut and polished nails. She had a French manicure done on her hands and her feet had a light pink polish on them.

Harper wasn’t the type to go out of her way and get a tan though. So her complexion wasn’t the darkest, but she still looked beautiful and knew how to apply her make-up to bring out her features. She stepped back into the bathroom and quickly blow-dried her hair before getting to her make-up. She applied a light blue eye-shadow and used some mascara as well. Then she put some cherry colored lipstick upon her soft, full lips. She smacked them together and grinned at herself in the mirror.

Her long, dark hair cascaded upon her shoulders and down her back and her appearance looked more than okay for a day to just chill and spend time with a friend.

She smiled at herself one last time before heading downstairs and calling out for JC. She called out his name a few times and it wasn’t until she spotted the note in the kitchen on his kitchen counter, that she figured out why she’d gotten no response.

The note read :

Harp,

I hope you noticed the air conditioning is working once more. Some guy came out and fixed it at like the crack of dawn with no problem. As for why I am missing, I’m at the studio working with some new up-coming artist. Though the session should be short and I’ll be back at lunchtime. Maybe if you’re up to it…we could grab a bite to eat and “talk” like we wanted to last night. I promise you I got my sleep. Well..just wait for me until I get back. If you need breakfast, there are Poptarts inside the pantry.

Later,

JC

She laughed after reading his scribbly handwritten note and finding the humor in it. She was glad that he wanted to take her out to lunch. It certainly would provide her with a real meal at a nice, trendy restaurant as oppose to some pastries anyone could pop in their toaster. Plus, she’d get to really sit down and talk to JC and that was something she wanted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was about half past noon, when Harper heard JC’s garage door go up and she knew he had arrived. She turned off his television and shut her binder that she had out. The binder contained all kinds of business information and what not. She had been studying it to get a better knowledge of just what she’d have to do to get people to want to buy and sell her creations of jewelry.

She could use the break and the company. She stood up just as JC stepped into the house and she smiled at him, his eyes meeting hers. His eyes crinkled at the size of his smile, as he took in Harper.

“Hey, JC. Good afternoon.” She spoke, sweetly. “Bet you’re glad I’ve got a dress on this time.”

He chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. “Sure…whatever.”

“You look refreshed.” He looked down at himself. He was wearing a black polo shirt and some skinny jeans that hugged him in all the right places.

“Thanks..I think.” She chuckled.

“I mean it..you look better and your outfit isn’t bad either.”

“Well..your sundress is nice. I approve of it.” He then pointed at her necklace. “You made that?”

She nodded her head. “You’ll learn that I pretty much wear my own creations. Have to pimp myself out, you know?”

He laughed. “Why does the word “pimp” sound weird coming from your lips?”

“Maybe because I’m just as white as you, JC.” He rolled his eyes.

“Maybe because you’re sweet and innocent and you just have clean vocabulary.” She chuckled.

“Okay..whatever you say.”

He set his messenger bag down on his kitchen table and then he excused himself for a moment. Harper waited for him to return, already having an inkling that lunch would be interesting.

JC returned a couple minutes later, chipper and ready to stuff his stomach. “All I had was one strawberry Poptart when the air-conditioning guy came over and then I had to get to the studio. I’m starving.”

She shook her head at him. “I found some Capt’n Crunch in one of the cabinets. There was just enough for a bowl.”

“Oh gosh…Tyler must’ve left that behind. You know that’s his favorite.”

“Oh yeah…that’s right. Well it didn’t taste stale or anything.” JC laughed.

“Good..good. I need a healthy Harper around.” She smiled and then grabbed her purse from his coffee table. It was a khaki color and big enough to tote things around. She slung it around her shoulder.

“So..where are you taking me?”

“Just a cute little outside café.”

“Sounds nice.”

“It is and the food is delicious.”

“I bet…so let’s get this show on the road.” JC grinned.

“Okay, Harper.” She then followed him to his car and got into the passenger seat to enjoy the ride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scenery was to die for and Harper definitely saw the ocean and the palm trees she had craved. Being able to just sit back and enjoy it from JC’s car and feel a breeze, was pretty much amazing.

She eyed him as he finally pulled his car up to the café he’d chosen. His aviator sunglasses were perched upon his nose and his eyes were more than covered by the huge lenses. His lips were pursed, as if he was concentrating hard on parking. His hair was looking better today, without the messed up part he had last night. She didn’t really mean to stare, but something just made her want to admire him for a moment and memorize everything about her friend.

“What?” He finally asked, as the car stopped completely and he killed the engine.

She jumped slightly and laughed. “Nothing.”

“You were staring.”

“No…I was observing.” He chuckled.

“Whatever, Harp. Just because I have sunglasses on doesn’t mean I can’t see where your eyes were focused.”

“Don’t flatter yourself, Chasez. I was just making sure you truly weren’t still looking like a hot mess from last night.”

He pointed his finger out at her. “Now you just quit it. I am a big boy I can care for myself.”

She laughed and then hopped out of the car. JC got out and just shook his head in amusement. Something about Harper was refreshing and fun and already he was enjoying her presence back in his life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JC still had on his aviators, the sun still shining bright, and plus he liked feeling a little more hidden behind them. It made him feel like the paparazzi couldn’t get him, even though everyone knew that wasn’t true; including himself. Harper looked across the small, rectangular table they were sitting at, as they waited for dessert to come. She was almost a little unnerved by the fact that she couldn’t see his eyes and that he had swallowed down his side salad and entrée like a ravenous beast. He hadn’t really uttered many words and the talking they had agreed to do was non-existent. Harper didn’t want a conversation with herself, so she had refrained from speaking as well and ate her lunch. It had been tasty to say the least.

Not being able to stare at him and take the silence anymore, Harper reached for the sunglasses on his face, as she leaned over the table. She took them off and revealed his blue eyes. Then she sat back down and let out a soft sigh.

“I’d like to talk. I’d like to have some eye contact too. So, we are now going to talk and look at one another. Okay, JC?” His eyes widened, slightly taken aback, and then nodded his head.

“Okay..okay. I’m sorry. I guess I was just hungry and caught up in myself.”

“Or…maybe you’re avoiding something?” He shook his head.

“Nope.” She looked him over closely and narrowed her eyes.

“I think you are. Come on…let’s just talk. You’re JC, I’m Harper. We’re friends and friends talk.” He couldn’t help, but break into a smile that turned into a laugh.

Just then the waitress set down a plate of triple layer fudge cake with the most decadent frosting for them to share. There were two forks and they each grabbed one as soon as the waitress stepped away.

“This has got to be heaven on a plate.” Harper grinned and forked a piece of the cake. She allowed it to melt into her mouth and she savored it. Her tongue then slithered out to wipe away at the fudge frosting upon her lips. “Oh yes…heaven.”

JC took his own bite and then nodded his head in agreement. “Mmm..probably even sex on a plate.”

Harper then laughed and she took another forkful of the cake.

“Speaking of sex…is that all that’s still on your mind these days?” He almost choked on the piece of cake he was swallowing.

“Excuse me!” Harper laughed again.

“You heard me.”

“I’m a man, Harp. Of course it’s on my mind…but do I still dream about it all day long, every day? No, not really. I try to not focus on the fact I haven’t been getting laid.”

Her eyes widened at his admittance and his hand flew to his mouth.

“Seriously?”

“Shit!”

“I would’ve thought…”

“Nope…”

“Well then…”

“I can’t believe I told you.”

“Hey, better me than someone else.” He smiled just a little.

“True.”

“So..is that why you’ve been on bad dates?”

“Well not necessarily to get laid, but you know…if it would happen then so be it.”

Harper dropped her fork then and she clasped her hands together. Her chocolate eyes focused on him and her face had an expression of concern. She cleared her throat and then spoke to him.

“Now…I know what has happened in your past JC and I know you’ve been used and abused before. You’ve had your heart broken. I know you also aren’t Mr. Ready to Settle Down. I know you aren’t Mr. Commitment. Though what I do know is…that you deserve someone to like you for you, to love you for you, to want to sex you up because they really do want you. You can go on all the dates you want and you can live your life however you please, but just know that…you’re worth more than just a one nightstand.”

JC was silent as she spoke and he processed every word that had just come out of her mouth. He was touched actually and it felt good to hear someone say that to him. It felt good to hear it from Harper.

“Well…thank you.” He finally mustered.

“You’re welcome, Jace.”

She then picked up her fork and resumed eating her share of the slice of cake.

“You’re right though…I have been avoiding something. I guess it’s been easier being closed up and keeping stuff to myself. Yet…there’s just something about you, Harper, that is comforting.”

She grinned and then motioned for him to continue. She knew he had more to say.

“This whole going on dates thing is because you know…a man does get lonely. Just because I’m not ready to settle down doesn’t mean I don’t want a warm body in my bed. Plus in some weird way, I miss being in love. I think I was really in love in the past before you know who tore my heart from my chest and stomped on it.”

She nodded her head, understanding him completely.

“Plus, I look at myself and I realize I’m not getting any younger even though I still feel young. It’s like I’m suddenly not *NSYNC JC anymore and I’m just JC, this former boybander still trying to stay relevant. The amount of chicks I got back then compared to now has dwindled.” He sighed and then ran his hand over his face.

Harper let out her own sigh and then she reached across the table for his hand. She gave it a gentle squeeze.

“Listen…you’re a good guy, JC. It doesn’t matter what you’re doing now or how old you are. Heck…your past doesn’t even matter now. What matters now is that you look inside yourself and decide what you want and focus on what will make you happy. Plus……you only need one “chick”. That’s all it takes.”

He laughed at her last comment, but then nodded his head. “You’re right, Harp. You’re so damn right.”

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: producerjc