Chapter 1

“Oh my god it stinks in here.” JC covered his nose as we all walked into Joey’s house.

We hadn’t seen him in damn near 3 months and I was finally getting worried.

Sure, the loss of Jessica was bad.

Sure, you needed time to move on slowly. NATURALLY! I gave Joe 2 months and then pushed it to 3 and now I, me, was worried about him.

I had convinced them so many times to leave Joe alone that what he really needed was time.

I could see now, that I was wrong. Really, irrevocably wrong. I hoped he was okay.

“Joey! It’s us!” I yelled.

“J. Stop yelling, there’s four of us, let’s just split up.” Lance said, stepping loudly over a few glass bottles on the floor. There were many.

“Okay, I’ll go towards the front of the house.” I said making my way towards the living room hitting lights as I went by them.

There he was passed out in his favorite chair, the one she had gotten him last Christmas. Curled up hugging her picture in one hand and holding a bottle by the neck in the other.

“Joe?” I said walking towards him grabbing the bottle.

“Jessica?” He slurred out.

“No, it’s me. Justin. Where have you been man?” He pulled away from me and looked out the window.

“I’ve been home, haven’t gone out, haven’t been…” He trailed off.

“In a bathroom apparently.” Lance’s voice came from behind me and I looked back to see that the guys had gotten together behind me.

“What are you guys doing here?” He got up from the chair and came towards me reaching for the bottle. I moved out of the way and he fell down.

Quickly.

“Dude what is with you?” Lance asked reaching for Joey only to be forced away.

“Nothing. I’m fine.” He said reaching for the bottle again. I moved and headed straight for the kitchen pouring the contents of the bottle out into the sink.

He glared at me, stopping for a second then ignoring me and went for a cabinet. He pulled out a bottle and started to drink from it.

“Listen Joe, we have to get in there to make a new album. Johnny wants you in the office, today at 3.” JC perked up from behind Chris who had yet to say anything. He like us was upset and if he had a chance he would let Joey know the real deal.

We all stared at Joey who seemed to be lost in his own world. After a minute or two he finally said something.

“I’ll get in the shower.” He set the bottle down and walked out into the hall and up the stairs.

“We have got to do something.” JC said.

“Fast. We have to do it yesterday.” Chris finally spoke going to the cabinet Joey had retrieved a bottle from. Revealing at least 25 bottles of whiskey stacked back to back.

~*~Offices~*~

~*~Joey’s POV~*~

I sat in the leather swivel chair. It felt weird to be dressed and out… in public.

The guys sat around the round table I sat across from them while they all stared at me. I hated the way they looked at me like that. Like I was insane.

True, I was at home a lot.

True, I hadn’t really seen anyone.

I wasn’t insane though, just lost. Let’s face it, it was taking me longer to get there, anywhere, then it took most.

A year later you’d think I’d have it back by now… you’d think.

A door to the left opened and in came Johnny, I looked at him pulling my cap brim over my eyes. I couldn’t let him see me hung over… or still drunk however you wanted to look at it.

“Good to see you Joe, how’ve you been?” He asked taking a seat with the guys.

“Fine, dandy.” I said crossing my arms over my chest.

“That’s not what I’ve heard, listen let’s cut through the bullshit and be honest. Put it on the table Joe. We see you struggling and we can’t just stand by and watch you anymore.” He added through gritted teeth.

Maybe it was bad.

“Listen Joe, we… we want you to get some help. AA, maybe, some grief classes. I’ve found some very understanding people who are willing to help you out.” JC said leaning forward.

It must be bad.

“Thearpy?” I asked softly. They looked at each other.

“Well, not like that no. I mean you just need to talk to someone Joe. You’re not thinking clearly. We honestly think you need this.” Lance added.

“Is this what you think? Is this what you all think?” I asked moving to sit up straight in the chair looking at the group. They back up, even though we were a good 8 feet from each other.

A small group of yes’s could be heard and I knew that these were my friends.

My friend’s… they wouldn’t not stand by my side… maybe it has been too long. Maybe I do need some help.

I let the thoughts jumbled around in my head and the only logical thing was that I needed to get better and slowly I was just wasting away.

“Okay.” I said putting my hands flat on the table. “Okay. I’ll go.”

They all smiled.

“Great, great! Listen if we can get this cleaned up we will be able to get back into the studio sometime in the spring. It’s going to be fine Joe. Just wait.” Johnny said standing up.

“Yeah, we’ll see.” I mumbled and the guys were all standing with smiles on their faces. I sighed.

I need that.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: rehab joey