It had been a couple weeks since the whole Thanksgiving debacle, and things seemed to go back to normal between Justin and I as soon as we returned home. For the most part I was happy with the way things were going, but Justin being as stubborn as ever has still refused to talk to J.C. I don’t think I would have even really noticed, had it not been for Brayden constantly asking about him. On top of Brayden missing J.C., Christmas was fast approaching and the guys were all still trying to sort out this lawsuit with Low, and I knew everyone involved needed for all the guys to at least be on speaking terms. Chris was definitely tired of playing the back and forth messenger, and I was quickly running out of excuses for Brayden as to why his dad and J.C. were never in the same room together. I knew I had to take matters into my own hands to rectify the situation, even if that meant me talking to and forgiving J.C. myself.


“Hey Jus, I gotta run a few errands, can you keep an eye on Bray?” I asked as I popped into the kitchen where Justin was pacing back and forth on the phone. Justin looked up and just nodded and gave me a small wave before continuing his conversation, and I took that as my cue to duck out of the house before his conversation ended and he started to ask questions.


I quickly made my way next door and walked into the house to see Chris and Joey sitting on the couch engrossed in a video game. “Where’s J.C.?” I asked scanning my surroundings and not seeing him anywhere.

“What? Why?” Chris asked quickly, looking up at me and giving Joey the upper hand in the game.

“Where is he?” I asked again more sternly, letting Chris know I wasn’t in the mood to play twenty questions.

“He’s up in the office with Lance going over some paperwork.” Chris said hesitantly not sure what I was planning.


I turned and walked up the steps without acknowledging Chris any further and made my way over to the office the guys had in the house. I busted thru the door, startling both Lance and J.C. and causing them to look up at me wide eyed. “Lance out.” I said firmly staring him down. Lance’s eyes widened momentarily as he glanced at J.C., but then he quickly got up and made his way out of the room, shutting the door behind him.

“Abby.” J.C. started looking up at me.

“Shut up and listen.” I glared as I took a seat opposite of him. J.C. just nodded as he folded his hands on top of all the papers strewn across the desk and prepared himself for whatever I was about to say. I carefully looked him over, noticing his tired demeanor and the stress lines across his face. He wasn’t one to normally wear his glasses, yet there they sat on his face almost as if he couldn’t be bothered with any further effort. I sighed instantly feeling bad for him and my anger with him slowly disappearing. I sighed again looking into his eyes which were completely void of any emotion or fight.

“Listen, you know what you did was wrong and I don’t want any explanations or apologies because honestly I don’t care. I do care though that my son misses you and I care that you and Justin are both too stubborn to move past this.” J.C. opened his mouth to interrupt me, but I refused to let him, “I’m not done. I also care about Justin’s career and I know this is a really hard time for all of you, and I know it would make things a lot easier if you two were united together instead of in this damn battle of the egos.” I said rolling my eyes at him disgusted.

“I agree a hundred percent, but I can’t make him talk to me.” J.C. sighed taking his glasses off and rubbing his face.

“Let me take care of that, just promise not to be an arrogant self-righteous asshole when you talk to him.” I said letting my anger slowly resurface.

“Me? You think I’m the asshole?” J.C. asked incredulously.

“I think you went behind your best friends back and made a pass at his girlfriend and the mother of his children,” I said dryly, “and regardless of how big of an asshole Justin can be, he was just defending what’s his.”

“I know, I’m sorry.” J.C. sighed defeated.

“I don’t care.” I said putting my hand up to stop his apology, “I just want Justin to have his best friend back, and I want my son to be able to see you without asking why you and Justin can’t ever be in the same room together.”

“Okay? What do you want me to do?” J.C. asked relenting.

“We’re going to go talk to Justin.” I said matter of factly as I stood up.

“What? Now?” J.C. asked panic rising in his voice.

“Yes now.” I said in a no nonsense matter and stood at the door waiting on him to get up and follow me.


I walked back into my house with J.C. right behind me and immediately heard Brayden exclaim, “J.C.!” as he ran towards us. I noticed Justin instantly tense where he was sitting on the couch and I immediately ushered Brayden up the stairs to his room before I made my way over to sit next to Justin, J.C. following slowly. Justin instinctively wrapped his around me protectively as J.C. sat down across from us.

“What are you doing here?” Justin asked obviously annoyed by his presence.

“I invited him.” I sighed at Justin’s coldness.

“What? Why? Abby!” Justin exclaimed jumping back slightly to look at me.

“Stop.” I started before Justin cut me off, “No! Why would you bring him over here? Are you that stupid?” Justin screeched.

“That’s uncalled for.” J.C. said coming to my defense.

“Stay the fuck out of this.” Justin spat in J.C.’s direction before turning to face me again.

“Please don’t.” I pleaded with Justin, trying my best to keep my emotions in check. I knew he felt hurt and betrayed and he didn’t mean to belittle me the way he did, but that didn’t stop it from hurting any less.

Justin’s face softened slightly as he looked at me, “Why Abby?” he asked softly not sure what else to say.

“I love you,” I started as I picked up his hand and intertwined our fingers, “and I know that you need your best friend, especially with everything that is going on. So please stop fighting and please go back to the way things use to be.” I pleaded focusing all my attention on Justin.

“Abbey it’s not that easy.” Justin started before I cut him off, “Jus if I can move past everything, you can too, you tow have been friends way too long to let a girl come between you.”

“You’re not just some random girl!” Justin exclaimed running his free hand thru his hair, causing me to smile slightly.

“Thank you for that, but you two need each other and I refuse to be the reason you’re not talking.” I said doing my best to be firm with him.

“It’s not your fault.” Justin whispered as he lightly caressed my cheek.

“Maybe not, but I feel responsible, so please fix this.” I pleaded yet again, starting to lose some of my gusto.

“For you.” Justin whispered as he leaned in and lightly kissed me. I pulled away smiling at him and noticed the uncomfortable look that adorned J.C.’s face. I smiled softly at him before turning my attention back to Justin.

“I’m going to go see what Brayden’s doing, please be nice.” Justin just nodded and lightly kissed my cheek and watched me walk out of the room, before turning his attention to J.C.


I was sitting in the corner Brayden’s room helping him assemble a puzzle when Justin made his way into the room a little while later. “Well?” I asked looking up at him trying to read the expression on his face.

“We’re working on it.” Justin nodded, not giving me any further details. I pursed my lips wanting to know what happened, but decided against questioning him, happy that the two of them were at least being civil.

“Daddy is J.C. still here?” Brayden asked looking up at Justin.

“No Bray, he had to go home but you’ll see him soon.” Justin sighed as Brayden’s face slightly fell. I stood noticing the resolve on Justin’s face and slowly made my way over to him wrapping my arms around his waist.

“See why this is important to me?” I asked holding his gaze.

“I know, I’m trying.” Justin said running his hand thru his curls, making a mess of them.

“Thank you” I breathed out, kissing him softly.

“Listen, I need to run next door and go over some stuff about this lawsuit I’ve been putting off.” Justin muttered. I nodded slightly knowing how stressed Justin was about the lawsuit and everything else that had been going on lately.

“That’s okay, Brayden and I are going to go do some Christmas shopping aren’t we?” I asked smiling down at Brayden.

“Yeah!” Brayden exclaimed, as if that was the plan all along and I didn’t just bring it up. I laughed lightly at him, before kissing Justin and ushering him out the door.
Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are always welcome.....sorry this was so short

Incomplete
PenguinPrincess is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked The Mistake also liked 350 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj