We made it to my grandma’s just as soon as dinner was ready. Justin carried a sleeping Brayden into the house, “Where can I lie him down?” Justin asked looking over at me.

“He really needs to eat.” I sighed turning to look at Justin.

“He’s exhausted from traveling.” Justin said shifting Brayden’s weight on his hip.

“I know, but all he ate today was a pop tart, he can go back to sleep after dinner.” I said making my way over to the two of them.

I lightly stroked Brayden’s hair, causing him to stir as Justin just sighed. “Momma?” Brayden mumbled rubbing his eyes.

“Hey baby, were at grandma’s and dinners ready.” I softly said running my fingers thru his hair.

“Grandma?” Brayden asked slightly lifting his head to look around.

“Come on.” I said taking him from Justin and walking into the kitchen with Justin following behind.


After a quick dinner my grandma made her way to bed, and Justin took Brayden upstairs to put him to bed, leaving me and my alone to clean up the kitchen. “So what’s going on, Justin called last night and said he needed to make things right.” My mom said running water in the sink for the dishes.

“Oh mom.” I sighed as I sat down at the table and put my head in my hands.

“What? I thought everything was okay with you guys once he realized he wasn’t the one stressing you out?” My mom asked, her head cocked to the side as she looked at me.

“Everything is fine with us,” I started smiling lightly, “the problem is his grandma.” I sighed.

“What do you mean? Did something happen when you were in Tennessee?” She asked looking up from the sink.

“It was the worse couple days of my life.” I sighed not sure where to even start.

“What happened?” My mom asked drying her hands on a dishtowel, and putting a tea kettle on the stove.

“I don’t even know, she thinks we should get married, she doesn’t think we should be having another baby, she doesn’t think Brayden is Justin’s son.” I said all in one breath, looking up at my mom.

“What? That’s just ridiculous; of course he is Justin’s son.” My mom said incredulously from across the kitchen.

“I know, she just made me feel so little and unworthy.” I sighed as the tea kettle started to whistle.

“Well that’s not true at all,” My mom frowned as she busied herself with making each of us a cup of tea, “What’s Justin say about it all?”

“I mean he stood up to her, but in doing so basically said he wasn’t going to marry me.” I sighed refusing to look up from the table.

“Did he say he didn’t want to get married?” My mom questioned as she handed me a cup of tea and then sat down beside me.

“No, but he made it pretty clear that he didn’t.” I mumbled starting into my tea.

“Do you really think he doesn’t want to marry you, or do you maybe think he’s just not ready yet?” My mom asked.

“I don’t know.” I cried as tears started to cloud my vision.


Just then Justin made his way back into the kitchen. “Hey.” He said softly looking at me.

“How much did you hear?” I asked shutting my eyes, trying to will away the oncoming tears.

“Can I talk to you?” Justin whispered still standing in the doorway.

“I think that’s a great idea, I’m going to go up to bed.” My mom said quietly as she grabbed her cup of tea and made her way out of the room, leaving Justin and I alone.

Justin slowly made his way over to the table, and sat in the chair my mom just vacated, and picked up my hand. “You weren’t supposed to hear any of that.” I cried, trying to pull my hand back, but Justin just held onto it tighter refusing to let me pull it away.

“Do you want to get married Abby?” Justin asked softly.

“It doesn’t matter. You don’t.” I sobbed, finally pulling my hand free, and burying my face in my hands.

“Why do you say that?” Justin asked trying to pull my hands away from my face.

“It’s pretty obvious Justin!” I snapped on the defense.

“Come here,” Justin sighed as he turned my chair sideways and pulled me off of it and into his lap, “I don’t think it’s obvious, because that’s not true at all.” He whispered into my hair, holding me against his chest.

“What?” I asked my voice faltering slightly, as I looked up at him.

“It’s not that I don’t want to marry you, there’s just a lot going on right now, and I definitely didn’t want you to think that I was only asking because my Gram said so.” Justin softly said, wiping the tears off my face.

“So you do want to marry me?” I asked my voice hopeful.

“Not necessarily right now, but of course.” Justin smiled as my face fell slightly.

“Hey, don’t,” Justin said noticing the change in my demeanor, “I’ll marry you as soon as we get home if that’s what you want.”

“I don’t want you to do anything you don’t want to do Justin.” I scowled up at him.

“I told you already, I do want to marry you, and if you need me to do it tomorrow to prove it to you, I will.” Justin said kissing the tears off my cheeks, before lightly kissing my lips and pulling back to look at me.

“No.” I sighed looking down at my hands, “I don’t want you to do anything before you’re ready.”

“I love you more than anything, and I have no idea what I would do without you or Brayden or this baby,” Justin started placing his hand on my stomach, “There’s just a lot of stuff going on right now with me and the guys and this whole Lou situation, and everything with us has just happened so fast.” Justin sighed as I nodded slightly.

“I know, I’m sorry, I’m just being stupid.” I whispered, refusing to look up at him.

“No you’re not, especially after the last few days. I just wish you would have talked to me sooner.” Justin said placing his finger under my chin and forcing me to look up at him.

“And said what? I think your Gram is right and I want to get married, even though you completely freaked out a few weeks ago when you found out I was pregnant?” I snorted rolling my eyes at him.

“Well that might have been a start.” Justin smirked at me, causing me to roll my eyes at him again.

“Seriously Justin, what was I suppose to say?” I asked dryly.

“I don’t know Abby, but I’m not sure how you think we’re ready to get married if you can’t talk to me when something’s wrong.” Justin sighed.

“I don’t know.” I sighed trying to stand up and put some distance between us.

“Uh uh.” Justin said tightening his grip around my waist so I couldn’t move, “I’m not being mean, but it’s true, yes I do want to marry you, but I think we both need some more time before we make that step.”

“I know you’re right. It’s just…” I started trailing off at the end.

“It’s just what?” Justin asked lightly.

“I don’t know. I guess I just feel hurt and unwanted.” I sighed.

“Abby, that’s not it at all. You are my life, but we have some things we need to work on and get used to first.” Justin soothed. I just nodded slightly not sure what to say and not wanting to start crying again. “You need to work on talking to me, and I need to work on my temper,” Justin sighed, “You’re right I never should have gotten so mad when you told me you were pregnant.”

“I guess you’re right, we do need to work on some things.” I finally said.

“But that right there is why I want to marry you. I love you and you gave me Brayden and now this baby, and you’re willing to work with me and love me anyways, even with all my faults.” Justin said reassuringly.

“I do love you.” I said finally smiling up at him.

“And I love you more than you know.” Justin grinned as he leaned in and kissed me. Instantly all the stress and tension from the past few days melted away, and I wrapped my arms around Justin’s neck pulling him closer to me.
Chapter End Notes:
What do we think? They have some crazy issues....are they ready to get married??


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj