8. Breaking the Rules

Part 1

Days Later

Higher Heights

Girls Dorms

 

 

I'm nervous.

Today is Justin's birthday and while I know we planned this party together, I want tonight to be one he won't forget.

I don't know why I'm nervous, but I am. I want him to like this. I really want him to like this because when this is over, he won't be seeing much of me.

I know, I know, I promised Justin we'd be friends and I'd try to get over how I am now because of Ethan and whatever else we spoke about a few days ago but...but after what almost-happened-but-didn't-really-happen between us in the male bathrooms before Ryan of all people waltzed in, I'm not so sure anymore.

I mean, if I didn't know any better, I'd say Justin was either going to or thinking about kissing me and while I can't understand how that could be the case, he was like an open book. His eyes spoke volumes and I found myself trapped between wanting to run away screaming and actually motivating him to ‘go for it.'

Ugh!

This is frustrating me.

That's all I've been thinking about for the past few days and it's driving me crazy.

I mean, he's Justin. Or according to Sandra and Michelle, he's Justin fucking Timberlake.

He said with his own mouth that he didn't date girls like me and while I will admit that I actually like the guy now, he's still somewhat annoying...in a cute wanting to strangle him way.

But besides that, my feelings towards him are still neutral and whenever something comes along to possibly change that, I stay as far away as possible.

That almost kissing experience we had was the thing that got in the way and while I'm maybe reading too much into this, I'm not taking any chances.

The last thing I need is to get my heart broken by falling for some superstar who isn't going to be around after the end of this year.

Plus, things like being best friends with a celebrity don't happen to me.

Eh, whatever.

I shouldn't be thinking about this now.

Today is Justin's day and the last thing he needs is to find out about the crazy shit passing through my mind or even suspect that something's bothering me.

He can be the most persistent, persuasive little bugger when he wants to know what's going on with you.

I think I'll just focus on getting through this party tonight, which, by the time on my clock, should be starting in about an hour.

Ok, so I invited everyone over for our supposed study date. No one knows this is a party so I'm pretty sure some will be coming in their PJ's which will prove to be quite interesting.

Our head girl is pretty cool compared to Manny so I got her permission to have this study night with guys and girls allowed. I told her that we'd maybe get a little noisy, maybe have some music playing to free up or whatever just so she doesn't come knocking.

It was just a little white lie so I didn't really feel too bad about it.

Right, so I cleared out the party space. It's not very big in my room or any of the dorm rooms for that matter, but it's enough space to fit a handful of our closest friends.

Speaking of friends...

As I continue eyeing my setup, I hear a light knock on the door and nearly jump out of my skin.

Whipping around, I glare at the barrier wondering who could be here so early. It's not yet time damn it.

Please don't make it be Justin. That would really suck if he decided to show up early.

The music is a go. I made a playlist and set everything up on my laptop with my bass speakers. The junk food is here. Sandra and Michelle dropped it off earlier before they headed back to their dorm rooms to get ready and the alcohol is conveniently stashed away in my closet until it's needed.

Ok, so all we need are the guests...

Groaning when I hear my door again, I sigh with defeat and decide to answer it.

I guess some people couldn't wait for the specified time which doesn't give me any time to mentally prepare myself.

Strutting over to the door, I swing it open to see who's on the other side.

 

"Uh...yeah hi?" I call out when I'm met with someone's back.

I watch intently as the person whips around and gives me a ‘once over' before a smile spreads across their face.

"Hey, are you Delilah?"

"Um yeah I'm her." I frown in perplexity.

"Oh cool..." Drifting off, the person turns away from me and looks down the hall before calling out to someone else. "Yow Rachel! I found her!"

The guy then whips back around and smiles again and I force a smile having an idea of who he might be now. "I'm Trace by the way." He adds in and I nod in realization.

"Oh right! Hey! Oh my god thanks so much for coming on such short notice." I beam happily.

He's much shorter than Justin but he's cute too. I can't help but giggle though when I remember some of the stories Justin told me about him. If he's anything like what Justin said then I know tonight will be loads of fun.

"It's cool. You know Rach and I weren't going to miss J's birthday. But the fact that you invited us out here made it much better because we were trying to figure out when we should show up. Surprising him is so much better." Trace grins evilly and I smile brightly until I notice Rachel walking up to us.

"Hey! So you're Delilah."  Rachel grins and I nod. "It's nice to meet you."

"You too. Thanks so much for coming. I know Justin will be happy having his cousin and best friend here. I mean, you guys mean a lot to him from how he talks about you all and having a piece of your family and home on your birthday is always a plus." I explain and they shake their heads in unison.

"Delilah, I like you already...so, shall we start plotting on how we're going to give Justin the shock of his life?" Trace chuckles as I invite them both into my dorm room.

"I guess." I say hesitantly.

"And we have to record it. You have a camera right?" Rachel pipes in, looking around.

"Uh yeah. Everyone else should be over in less than an hour." I inform them.

It doesn't take long for them to get settled in.

Trace is sitting at my desk and Rachel grabs one of the other chairs.

I sit on the edge of my bed as Trace and Rachel, who's very pretty by the way with beautiful raven hair, tells me about their trip out here.

By right, visitors aren't allowed after campus hours but I begged our head girl to have them over for a few hours since today is Justin's birthday.

Of course she agreed seeing as she's a Justin fan. Figured.

So far, Trace and Rachel seem nice.

It wasn't easy getting in contact with them. I had to beg headmaster Williams to give me Justin's home information and tell him that it was for Justin's birthday. The only reason he agreed was because he knew I was assigned to Justin and he figured we were friends by now and believed that I only wanted to surprise J. If it was any of the other girls on campus that would not have happened after the school made them sign some privacy contract or something making sure Justin isn't harassed while he's here.

Eh, the point is, Trace and Rachel were able to make it.

So, let the festivities begin.

 

*****

Later

 

"Hey! People quiet down Justin's on his way!" I call out to everyone.

The party has long kicked off with everyone we invited over being present. All except Justin of course who called me on my cell and told me that he couldn't leave his dorm until Manny was done making his rounds.

I'm glad we can call each other though. Even if cell phones aren't allowed, I think it's the one thing that the head boys and girls don't bother with reporting as long as they're not major distractions or issues. Hey, they're guilty just like we are so it's whatever.

"J needs to get here now. He's missing his own party." Trace snickers, comfortably sitting at the edge of my bed with Michelle on his lap who's giggling like an idiot.

Yeah, don't ask.

I think I broke out the alcohol way too early.

There are school books and various accessories kicked to the side on the floor.

The moment people walked in and we told them what was going on, they totally disregarded their school work and literally thanked me for doing this. Ha!

Higher Heights may be tough, but it sure doesn't make you studious unless you want to be.

"Uh, Delilah? I think your friend had too much to drink." Trace voices, grabbing my attention away from the door that I'm hoping Justin walks through soon.

"Michelle!" I groan, walking over to root her off of Trace's lap since she's practically groping him. "I'm sorry, she's not usually like this." I admit and he chuckles lightly.

"Hey, I'm not complaining. Was just stating the obvious." He laughs and I can't help but smile and roll my eyes at him. I like him. He's cool.

"Are you sure you won't get in trouble Delilah? People are really letting go here." Rachel speaks up, resting against the wall, sipping on a rum and coke she mixed herself.

"Well..." I drift, my eyes flitting over the people in the room who are dancing to the playlist party mix I created on my laptop.

It's not that many of us but, it is getting kind of rowdy. In fact, that would maybe explain why I hid the rest of the alcohol. I haven't drank any but almost everyone else has.

"We'll be ok. As long as everyone is sober by the time they leave." I tell her trying to hold up Michelle's weight.

"Don't worry! We've never gotten caught before!" Sandra pipes in, smiling warmly for Rachel who doesn't look so convinced; but, all that is forgotten when my door swings open and a very annoyed Justin strolls in wearing a black hoodie and gray cotton sweat pants.

"Happy birthday Justin!" Michelle hollers first when she sees him and I groan, carrying her to take a seat on a chair on the other side of the room.

The music stops and everyone turns in Justin's direction who has a rather amused expression on his face.

"I see ya'll started without me." Justin drawls, removing the hood from his head and passing his hands over his hair.

A chorus of ‘happy birthday' soon follows before everyone takes their turn greeting him with a handshake or hug.

He thanks everybody and when I look around I realize that Rachel and Trace are nowhere in sight.

What the hell?

I hear a low whistle and turn towards my closet only to see Trace's head poking out. Well shit, that was quick.

I giggle despite myself, trying to sober up when everyone leaves Justin's side to return to the party and his vision drifts to where I'm standing.

"What about you Lilah?" Justin voices with a cheeky grin on his face.

"What about me?" I snort, covering my mouth in the process.

"Where's my birthday wish?" He pouts like a big baby and I scoff.

"I saw you this morning Justin. I told you happy birthday then."

"This is my party though. You need to seal it with a...birthday wish." He wisecracks. He thinks he's funny huh?

"Ok, well here's one..." I begin, closing the gap between us. "I wish you weren't such a smartass." I joke, ignoring his fake shocked expression before I pull him down for a hug. "Happy birthday Justin." I coo.

"Thanks." He whispers, his hold around me tightening slightly as he breathes in deeply and my eyes widen when he gives me a light squeeze.

Ok! Back up! We need space! Space is good!

"Right uh...you can let me go now Justin." I say softly and he suddenly jerks back to glare at me with an impish grin on his face.

"Sorry." He shrugs, detaching his arms from around my waist and straightening his posture.

"It's cool. So you came in here looking pissed off. Is everything ok?" I ask and he growls lowly, his entire mood switching back to how it was when he walked in.

Unfortunately, he doesn't get a chance to explain before Trace and Rachel make their presence known.

"Hey fucker! Happy birthday!" Trace belts loudly, walking towards us. Justin's head snaps in their direction and a soft gasp escapes him.

"Oh shit! No fucking way! Am I dreaming?" Justin laughs out loudly, totally forgeting about me as he approaches them. Rachel is standing behind Trace filming them with my camera.

"Wish you were dude. This place looks like a fortress. I have no idea how you're surviving here." Trace quips as he and Justin hug briefly.

"Quiet jerk. It's cool here. You should try it out sometime."

"No thank you." Trace shakes his head in the process. "My school days are over."

"Uh huh." Justin grins as he turns to his cousin. "And Rach, what the hell are you doing?"

"You should have seen the shock on your face Justin and the wide eyes. Classic." She giggles before switching off the camera and placing it down on the table next to my laptop. "Happy birthday cous." She says before hugging Justin and giving him a light kiss on the cheek.

"Wow, thanks guys. It's so great to see you all but what the hell are you all doing here?" Justin questions in bewilderment.

"Hey, don't thank us. Thank Delilah for inviting us to your little illegal gathering since I understand that it's against school laws." Trace explains and Justin turns to look at me in astonishment.

"Lilah?" He questions in uncertainty. I can see the fascination on his face that I pulled this off but his blues are filled with confusion.

I don't see what the big deal is. I didn't exactly do anything except call them. They paid their plane tickets and everything to come out here so...

"Surprise?" I shrug and Justin shakes his head in disbelief, studying me closely.

"I'll say." He breathes deeply still in awe. It doesn't take long for him to come out of his shock though. "Well, what are we waiting for? I'm here now! Let's party people!" He shouts, receiving a series of hoots and hollers in return before the music is back on.

I can only imagine everyone leaving here all jovial with the memory that they got to party with the 'rock star' himself.

I smile happily that this party is a success and the fact that Justin seems so content right now.

He easily gets lost in catching up with Rachel and Trace and I decide to let him have his time with them as I head over to check on Michelle who's being attended to by Sandra.

"How's she doing?" I ask.

"She'll be ok. She just needs water. Do you have any?" Sandra questions and I shake my head ‘no.'

"Not in my room. I'm out. I'll go grab a bottle from the vending machine down the hall. I'll be right back." I tell Sandra and she nods in understanding.

Heading over to my desk, I grab my purse and give Justin one last glance who's busy with Rachel and Trace before I silently make my exit.

As I shut my dorm room door quietly, I listen to see if the noise is too loud outside but it's just right.

It's not silent. I mean, you can hear that there's stuff going on in there, but it's not obvious to the point where it's suspicious or whatever for someone to come snooping or knocking.

 

"What are you doing Delilah?"

Jumping in fright at a deep masculine voice behind me, I whirl around while gripping my chest since my heart just did flip-flops.

"Shit." I hiss, taking in a few deep breaths.

Lifting my head, I notice Ethan walking up to me and my eyes widen.

I quickly step away from my door and walk in his direction so he won't come any closer to my dorm room.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I question him, eyeing him strangely.

"I uh..." But I cut him off.

"Why are you in the girls dorms at this hour?" I snap again and he groans, but his attention is swayed when we hear a loud thud sound from somewhere behind my door.

"What's going on in there?" Ethan laughs while stuffing his hands in his jeans pockets and I roll my eyes at him.

"Nothing. We're just having a study group. We were given permission to. I was actually heading to the vending machines to grab a bottle of water." I explain.

"Uh huh." Ethan drawls, glaring at the closed door before locking eyes with me. "Do you always study with music playing?"

"We're on a break genius." I spit and he raises his hands in the air in defeat.

"Ok, chill. I didn't come here to fight." He relents and I frown deeply.

"Then what did you come for?" I question before gripping his arm to tug him so we can walk down the hall.

The last thing I need is for him to find out what's going on in there because I know he'd get some sick thrill in reporting us to the headmaster.

"I came here to talk to you Delilah." Ethan says seriously and I groan, tugging on my plain top and sweat pants.

"Ethan. We have nothing to talk about." I state honestly as we stroll down the deserted dorm room halls.

"Yes we do. There are a lot of unresolved issues between us and I think it's time we cleared the air."

I stop in my tracks before turning to stare at him with narrowed eyes.

"Let me guess. The only reason you're even paying any interest in me now is because of a certain superstar. You just can't deal with the fact that we're friends can you? I don't see why though." I say bitterly.

"That's beside the point Delilah."

"No Ethan. That is the point. You men and your egos. I don't know what you're trying to do here but it's not going to work. And I suggest you leave Justin alone. He hasn't done anything to you."

"That punk is not my concern." Ethan groans.

"Oh really? Because before now, you wouldn't even give me a second glance. We've been like strangers ever since freshman year. You're going to tell me now you've suddenly had a change of heart around the same time you saw me hanging out with Justin? How stupid do you think I am? What I don't get is what's your damage?"

He's really beginning to piss me off with his fake nice guy act.

"Come on Delilah. Would you just listen to me? Ryan told me that he saw you and..."

"Ok, just stop right there. There's nothing you can tell me Ethan that's going to make things ok between us. That ship sailed a long time ago so I suggest you stop wasting our time and just head back on to your dorm."

With that said, I whip around and continue walking towards the vending machines.

He follows me of course, clearly not getting the picture.

"Delilah wait up. Look I know how things ended between us were bad but I'm trying to right my wrongs here. I'm trying to apologize and tell you that I'd like for us to start over." There's a pause before he inhales deeply and adds in, "I'm sorry."

And just like that I stop walking, my heart pounding out of my chest as I breathe in deeply.

I can't believe it.

Even if I know that Ethan's only saying this now because he feels threatened in some way by Justin, I still can't believe it.

After all of this time and after everything we've been through, this is the first time he's ever apologized and said anything remotely close to admitting his wrongdoings.

Against my better judgment I relent and turn around to face him, deciding to hear him out, knowing that I should maybe kick myself in the ass for even considering listening to him in the first place.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: privateschool school justin