6. To Dance Or Not To Dance

 

I can't believe I let him talk me into this.

Oh my god what was I thinking?

This is unacceptable.

I don't do dances or basketball games but Justin managed to drag me to the game the school had last night, so, it only makes sense that I'm here now...at the spring dance...where I don't want to be.

And by the way, who has a spring dance in January in the middle of winter when spring begins in March?

It hasn't been very cold for the past few weeks though because of the change in climate. The weather's weird.

But you know it's a tradition at this school, to push dances up like a season. People usually just go with the flow. Why? Because we have summer break from May and everyone usually wants a summer dance before they head home for the holidays.

The school can't throw back to back dances since for each dance funds need to be raised and budgets met. So, around spring time, just before schools are let off for summer break, we have a summer dance. The same goes for winter. We have our winter dances in fall since there's no need for a fall dance after just returning from summer break.

It's confusing, but, people seem to like it.

Thank goodness the entire school is heated and we're sheltered from the outside cold. I could actually walk out with regular clothes since it's not very cold to begin with but the warm temperature indoors is better.

That way we're able to still dress in our uniforms without worrying about winter wear unless we have to go outside.

This would explain why I'm wearing this stupid, short, sleeveless blue dress which is cute and all, but so not me.

It was Sandra and Michelle's idea.

Ugh, sometimes I hate my friends.

They usually hang with Justin and me whenever they get time.

Our little group has become practically inseparable, but for some reason those two girls I call my best friends insist that there's a possibility that the superstar might like me a little more.

It was an asinine suggestion and I made sure they knew it was too.

Plus, I think Justin has a thing for Sandra.

But all that's irrelevant now.

I'm here, standing next to the punch bowl in the gym, looking at all of the students enjoying themselves on the dance floor and off in their cliques.

We did an awesome job with the decorations by the way. The gold, green and brown color scheme is very nice and brings out the colors of spring.

I'm never signing up for any dance committee ever again.

I feel out of place...awkward. It's been years since I've been to a dance for this school and my last experience wasn't pretty but I digress.

I wasn't oblivious to the surprised and shocked expressions on people faces when I walked in with Sandra and Michelle earlier.

Everyone thought for sure I'd never show my face at a school dance again.

I have Justin to blame for this one. He better make sure that I enjoy my night like he promised.

Where is he anyway? We promised we'd meet each other here but there's no sign of him yet.

 I swear I'll strangle him if he doesn't show his face soon.

Sandra and Michelle have long left me alone to mingle...bitches. Eh, I still love them.

"Well, well, well...isn't this a surprise."

Wincing, I slowly turn to my right meeting eyes with my least favorite person at this school.

"Ethan." I mutter, rolling my eyes.

"This is quite a change for you Delilah. I didn't think you'd ever come to another dance or basketball game again. But, if I recall, I saw you seating in the bleachers last night with your superstar right?" He questions casually, his blues piercing my gray-browns.

"Whatever...I figured it was time for a change. I couldn't hide in a shell forever like you probably hoped I would." I snap and he smirks, sipping on whatever drink he has in his hand. I'm betting it has alcohol in it which is against school rules. Then again, the rules never applied to Ethan and his friends.

"It's interesting to me. How'd the star get stuck with you anyway? He must not know about you. If he did, I don't think he'd even want to be seen with you in public." Ethan jeers and I swallow hard, turning away from his piercing gaze.

Come on Justin, where are you?

"Leave me alone Ethan." I hiss. "And he didn't get stuck with me...I got stuck with him...volunteer work. Don't worry. You won't see us hanging out for much longer. I'll just pretend like it doesn't bother you." I state, watching his uneasiness as he shifts his weight on his feet. Jerk.

"Don't think I care about you, what you do or who you hang with Delilah. This isn't high school or our freshman year here at Higher Heights all over again." He grunts and I scoff.

"Funny, you sure seem to be contradicting yourself by standing here talking to me. Don't you have some mindless shit you should be doing now? Like getting wasted with your friends?" I say smartly and Ethan scowls, studying me intently.

Yes, Ethan and I went to high school together before we came here to Higher Heights. In fact, we were practically best friends all into our freshman year here at Higher Heights until he joined the basketball team and he changed. It wasn't a positive change. Everything went downhill from there but it's not something I like to dwell on.

Before he can even open his mouth to answer me, Justin shows up out of nowhere with a group of three behind him.

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting? Because if I am I don't care." Justin voices, moving to stand between Ethan and me and I smile.

Ok, Justin just earned cool points for catching Ethan off guard who's glaring at him incredulously right now.

"Ethan." Justin greets him casually. "Looks like we might be playing on the same team soon huh? Exciting stuff." Justin hums, fixing his wrist watch.

"You have to make the team first Timberlake." Ethan growls, giving me one last glance before he brushes past Justin, their shoulders bouncing against each other roughly.

I watch silently as Ethan disappears into the crowd before I give Justin my full attention.

He looks at me in curiosity, probably wondering what Ethan was doing over here talking to me, but he doesn't look like he's going to voice his thoughts any time soon.

"Took you long enough to get here." I snigger and he shrugs with a large smile on his face.

"I sort of knocked out earlier in my room and woke up late." Justin says innocently and I nod.

"It's ok, you're forgiven." I laugh, taking note of the two guys and one girl standing behind him.

"Yeah, so this is Scottie, Harry and Lorraine. They're in my music classes and they're really talented so I thought it would be cool if we hung out seeing as they could all have music careers by the time they get out of here with my references and maybe with my label." Justin voices and I smile at the group, telling them ‘hi'. They return the gesture and I don't know them personally, but I have seen them around campus.

"Can't help but work while you're here huh?" I voice to Justin and he smiles bashfully looking exceptionally handsome in his long dress pants, polished shoes, and long sleeved dress shirt. He's dressed casually with a plain silver chain falling against his chest.

"It's a habit. But enough about that. Let's party huh? I promised you'd enjoy this experience so come on." Justin says excitedly, gripping my hand in his. "We'll catch up later guys." Justin voices to his new friends before he starts leading us out onto the dance floor and my eyes widen in horror.

"Justin I don't dance..."

"Oh shut it Delilah. You're dancing with me so get over it. You didn't come here all done up and looking cute to be a wallflower." He states seriously and I smile lightly at the fact that he just called me cute.

Eh, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have some fun right?

 

*****

Later

At the girls dorms

 

When endless laughter can be heard between two people, that's a sure sign that they're enjoying each other's company.

This would probably explain where Justin and I stand with each other right now.

We're like two old friends, just enjoying each other's company.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I had no idea taking this volunteer work on would make me want to actually be friends with the guy. And, strangely enough, I do not like that fact one bit.

I watch intently, smiling as Justin comes down from his laughing fits after telling me a very interesting story about his best friend Trace which involved a party, way too much alcohol and drag queens. Yeah, don't ask.

"Sounds like you have a great life outside of these walls." I state and Justin shakes his head in agreement.

"It can be a little overwhelming and demanding sometimes since so many people except so much from me, but I still consider myself blessed because my family and friends always keep me grounded you know? And I love them for that." He nods, fully sober now.

"So do you miss home?"

"Oh hell yeah...everyday." He admits. "But, here's not so bad either you know? It's a new experience for me. I find myself asking ‘why did I have to open my big mouth and get stuck here' less and less every day."

"I don't blame you. Going to higher heights is like submitting yourself partially to prison because there are so many rules and laws we have to follow to keep our records clean. But, it does instill discipline and responsibility in us young folks." I quip, giggling lightly and Justin smiles at me.

"I totally agree." He divulges.

Wow, so I think I can actually say that I had fun tonight and I owe it all to Justin.

We danced, talked, laughed, drank punch and had a blast.

Plus, it was even more fun when Michelle, Sandra and Justin's new friends joined in.

Tonight was great and helped pull me out of my shell. I forgot how much fun life could be when you tossed all care to the wind.

And, the best part of tonight was that I never saw Ethan again. I have no doubt that he was around somewhere, but, I was too focused on Justin and my friends to care.

After a long night, Justin and I finally decided to leave the dance just as it was ending.

He offered to walk me up to my dorm after we told our friends bye, even if he really wasn't supposed to.

Seeing as I don't get a new roommate until after summer, Justin decided that it was only fair he kept me company until I was ready to turn in and I kicked him out.

So, we've been lounging in my dorm room ever since chatting up a storm with me lying haphazardly on my bed and Justin sitting at my desk messing with my laptop.

"So hey...my birthday is coming up in a few days." Justin utters softly, breaking the silence between us while his fingers skim over the keys on my laptop.

"Yeah? So what do you want to do for it old guy?" I muse and he groans but smiles nonetheless.

"I don't know. What can I do here? This place really is like a prison." He comments and I laugh. "If I were home, Trace and I would find some crazy fun shit to do but here..."

"We could have a dorm party." I suggest and Justin frowns.

"Isn't that against school rules?" He asks suspiciously.

"Sure, but that doesn't mean we can't have it. We just have to make sure that no one finds out." I state and he scoffs, unsure of this little plan.

"Listen Lilah, if I got suspended or expelled, it wouldn't really hurt me because I have a life outside of these walls. But if that happened to any of you guys from breaking the rules then..."

"Justin you worry too much." I cut him off. "It'll be fine. It's not like it'll be the first time." I mutter and his eyes light up immediately.

"Really now." He states, fully intrigued.

"Let's just say, I've had my fair share of breaking the rules until I decided to cool out and take my work seriously. We won't get caught I promise. I know exactly how we'll execute it in the next few days. The most important thing is making sure only the people who are invited are the ones who know. I'll give you the run down and you'll help me plan it. You'll see." I smile deviously and Justin chuckles loudly.

"Oh man, I think I might like this sneaky, conspiring side of you." Justin decides and I laugh along with him. "Definitely reminds of my ‘partner in crime' days with Trace."

"Whatever old man." I joke, causing him to grunt.

"Don't get smart." He warns, gazing down at his watch. "Wow, it's kind of late. I should probably get to my dorm. Manny can be an annoying little fuck when he thinks you're breaking some type of rule. I definitely don't want him to see me walking in at this hour." Justin suggests, standing up and stretching his limbs and I do the same.

"Ok, I'll see you tomorrow for our library study group." I tell him. "And, we'll start planning out your little secret party because after next week you'll be on your own." I explain.

Justin stops in front of my door, turning around to look at me oddly. "What do you mean I'll be..."

"My volunteer work of being your ‘chaperone and tour guide' ends next week. I think you know the campus pretty well to find your way around now right? You don't need me anymore." I supply and the frown on his face deepens significantly.

"You're kidding Delilah. Ok, I get that maybe at the beginning this was like an obligation for us or whatever, but it's almost been a month. We get along fine. I don't understand."

"Justin..." I sigh, pushing him gently out of the way to swing my door open. "You're a cool guy and you've made some new friends to hang with. You don't need me around anymore. Listen, it's not a big deal ok? If I made friends with every student I had to work with then, I'd have way too many friends." I say lamely.

"That's bullshit Lilah." He snaps. "I consider us friends. I mean, don't you? I'm not some assignment or job to you still am I? Because that's pretty fucked up." He growls.

Perfect. He's getting upset. Just what I need. How do I even explain to him that I never get attached and he shouldn't either even if I think he already has?

I mean, I don't see what's so great about me. I'm as average and as boring as they come.

"Justin calm down geez. Look, we're meeting up tomorrow; we'll focus on your birthday and talk about this afterwards ok?"

"No it's not ok." He huffs, crossing his arms over his chest defiantly. Damn, he's stubborn.

"Justin...." I whine and he shakes his head, caving.

"Fine. I'll leave it alone for now. But only because it's late and we both need some rest. But for what it's worth Delilah, I consider you my friend." He voices honestly, slightly defeated.

Damn it. I don't need to hear this now.

"Goodnight Justin. Thanks for a great time at the dance." I say softly and he nods, getting ready to leave, but then he suddenly stops again to face me, his stare intense.

"No, you know what?" He begins, deep in thought as he glowers at me. "The difference between me and you Lilah is when I make a friend, I keep them, because I'm not afraid to care or open up myself to them even if it puts me in a vulnerable situation. Because I know those that really matter will always be there. Sometimes, it helps to open up yourself to new things and people instead of always running away or hiding. If you keep doing the latter, you'll just end up alone." Justin speaks gently, his words digging deep. "I'll see you tomorrow." He adds in and with that said he turns around and walks out of my room, disappearing down the halls.

I stand frozen in place, replaying his words in my head over and over again until I shut my door and decide that tonight needs to end with me getting some sleep.

Everything else can come after.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: privateschool school justin