4. Art Anyone?

A Week Later

 

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Jumping in shock, I nearly drop my paint brush surprised to see Justin taking a seat next to me in art class.

"Have we reversed roles? Are you stalking me now?" I question and he chuckles like a fool.

"You're not very good at this tour guide thing. I'm usually the one seeking you out. I haven't been to the west wing of the campus yet. Think you can take me over there after class? I wanted to check out the library."

"Uh...yeah sure." I mutter, arching a brow as he prepares his canvas and painting utensils.

Hmm, what does he know about art besides the musical side of it?

Studying him closely, I can't help but cackle at what he did to his uniform. That man I tell you. Apparently, individuality is important to him.

His blue blazer is rolled up to his elbows, he's actually wearing matching dark blue jeans with it and sneakers and his white undershirt is overlapping his pants. He's not even wearing his tie. His short dark brunette hair is perfectly groomed and he's wearing a pair of spectacles today I've never seen him wear before. But, then again, he's only been here for like a week so...it suits him. He actually looks studious...

"See something you like?" Justin chuckles and I quickly snap back to reality.

"You're going to get in trouble for violating the uniform dress code." I point out, ignoring his question.

Smirking, he looks down at his attire, a confident grin spreading across his face. "Na, I'm me, I own my own clothing line. What's the worse they could do?" He voices and I groan.

He's clearly not getting the concept of following school rules yet, but he will, soon...

"Justin, I'm sure you can dress around the uniform rules if you wear all parts of the uniform. You're not wearing the pants or tie. That's a clear violation. If I were you, I'd change right after class before someone reports you to headmaster Williams." I whisper since our professor just walked into class.

"Delilah..." Justin begins, resting his large hand on my thigh. "You worry too much." He grins but I don't smile back.

I give him a look that says ‘touch me again and you die' and he easily reads it because he retracts his hand faster than the speed of light.

Shifting in his seat, he breaks eye contact with me and clears his throat awkwardly and I finally smile, diverting my attention to the front of the class.

"What do you know about art anyway?" I whisper again to him, my eyes never leaving our art professor as the class sits in a circle around the room with each student's canvas planted in front of them.

"Sweetie, I was born an artist. You'll see." Justin says proudly and I roll my eyes as professor Hilda sets up the new model we'll be painting in class today.

I have no idea what Justin did to end up in art class, but I know that when it's over he'll be less than pleased.

 

*****

 

"I mean I knew art could be challenging but that was ridiculous." Justin laughs, fixing his book-bag on his shoulder.

"You actually did pretty well for your first painting. I don't get why you didn't just sign up for the music program." I say, walking beside him as we stroll down the large halls towards the west wing of the campus.

"Oh I did. I just thought I'd challenge myself a little more by taking at least one art class since music comes to me like second nature."

"But are you sure music is what you should be doing though? You're already doing it for a living. I mean, this is your second chance at school. Isn't there anything else that interests you that you'd like to learn about?"

He turns to look at me briefly before releasing a shrug. "Not really. I mean, I have worldly knowledge from traveling the world and there isn't anything I can learn in here that I can't learn outside. I'm just trying to make this experience as painless as possible." Justin explains and I shake my head, kind of understanding.

"Ok I guess."

"Eh, it is what it is. I was thinking about trying out for the basketball team though." He pipes up and I groan.

"Bad idea Justin." I mutter.

"You know Delilah, would it kill you to maybe not cut me down all the time?" He spits and I glare at him, noting his aggravated stare.

"No, I wasn't trying to...look, you remember Ethan right?" I voice and Justin rolls his eyes in annoyance.

"What about him? It's bad enough I got stuck with his friend Ryan as a roommate." He adds in and my eyes widen in shock but I keep quiet.

I didn't know that! He failed to mention that! The last thing I need is Justin knowing about my history with that particular group of friends. I'm kind of happy that Justin is clueless to my history here in school. Obviously, we haven't been in any situations for him to realize that I'm an outcast or anything so I'm happy about that. I'm just not sure how long that will last.

I'll just pretend like he didn't say anything.

"Uh hello! Ethan is captain of the basketball team. If I were you I'd stay as far away from them as possible. You clearly don't understand the hierarchy in this school." I shake my head at him, almost feeling sorry for his clueless self.

"And who made this hierarchy Delilah? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the headmaster or professors. See, that's the thing with you students. The jocks don't always have to hang with the jocks. The science geeks don't have to stick together and just because you're not deemed popular and cool by the rest of the school doesn't mean you couldn't be exactly that. But I guess you guys will figure that out when you're shoved into the real world." He voices surely and I can't say I disagree.

He's right. And, he most certainly has that real world experience that the rest of us don't have. In fact, it kind of makes him more mature than us even if you'd not see it with the way he's been acting.

"How old are you Justin?" I question and he laughs softly just as we make it to the library.

"I need to remember that you're not one of my fans who probably has my birth date, place and time of birth engraved in your memory." He chuckles and I smile, waiting for his answer. "I'm actually turning twenty-six at the end of this month which makes me kind of old to be here. But I don't mind." He mutters and I quickly shake my head in protest.

"Actually, you're a good age because this school offers as high as PHD's and we have like twenty-eight year olds and people pushing thirty going for their highest degree. It depends on what you want to do and what major you choose. It's a very diverse, flexible boarding school. Sort of new age if you will." I say.

"Cool, so how old are you then?" He questions, his voice lowering as we stroll through the massive library stocked with shelves and shelves of books from all centuries.

"Twenty-three. I don't turn twenty-four until summer. I'm a youngin'" I titter and he nods, a soft laugh escaping him.

"Ah, I remember being that age. It was wild." He whispers as we find a table at the far back to sit.

"Justin that was about three years ago for you. Stop acting like you're this old dude." I giggle.

Wow, I actually giggled. I don't giggle.

"Yeah well..."

I dump my books on the table before us and begin pulling out the ones I need to read and catch up on while Justin stretches out his limbs and begins digging through his book-bag to get some of his homework done.

"Wow, this is weird for me, having to do homework. How odd." He mutters and I laugh loudly earning a few 'shushes' from the students around us who by the way are not subtle with their staring and gawking due to Justin's presence.

But, he seems to be ignoring the attention so it's no big deal I guess.

"You'll get used to it."

"I don't think so." He groans while opening his art history book. "There's no getting away from history no matter what form it comes in." He sighs, flipping through the pages. "And, I need to call home and check in with my best friend Trace and my mom but stupid Scotland took my phone. What a biatch." He says softly and I snort, trying to stifle my laughter.

"Cells aren't allowed on campus because they're distractions for students with all the new technology but, they do give us weekends to call home so all you have to do is ask Scotland on the weekend and she can't say no. It's part of the rules. By right, we're supposed to return all cell phones to the head boys and girls of our dorms when we're done, but most people keep their phones. As long as headmaster Williams doesn't get a complaint or is made aware, you're safe." I explain and a light smile graces Justin's face by that fact.

"Cool."

"Uh huh."

"So what's going on with you? What's your history here are Higher Heights? I don't mean to sound rude but your two friends Sandra and Michelle are nothing like you." Justin states and I groan, not wanting to answer that question.

"Can we wait to leave the library to talk? We really should be quiet and getting some work done while in here." I whisper and he shrugs.

"Whatever. But you're going to tell me eventually Delilah, because I just can't seem to figure you out."

"Looking forward to it." I fake a smile and he chuckles.

If I can get through the year without Justin knowing much about me, then that's what I'm going to do.

"Hey there cool cats!"

Justin and I turn at the sound of Cindy's soft voice who slides into an empty seat, joining us at our table.

"Hey Cindy." Justin smiles and I nod in acknowledgement.

"Hey Justin. Are you settling in ok?" She questions.

"Yeah, I'm straight."

"What's up Cindy?" I inquire because I know her looks. And the look she's giving us now, I know she's going to sprout about some activity that she needs our help in.

"So, we're short helping hands for the spring dance coming up in two weeks and I was hoping that maybe one of you or both of you would like to help out with decorating and so on? It'll look good on your school records." She says hopefully, looking at Justin and me.

"Sure. Delilah and I will do it. Count us in." Justin blurts out without giving me a chance to respond.

My eyes widen in disbelief as I glare at him, ignoring Cindy's excited claps before she's on her feet again.

"Great! That's wonderful! I'll put you two down. Well, I've got a lot of work to do. Take care. Bye!"

And just like that she's gone, disappearing out of the library and I'm still glaring at Justin who's oblivious to what he's just done.

"I don't do dance committees Justin."  I finally speak and he frowns in confusion.

"Oh come on Delilah it'll be fun. It's a new experience for me too."

"No, I don't do dance committees and I certainly don't do dances." I reiterate. He has no damn clue how disastrous this could be for me.

"So you're not going to the dance?" He asks, slight disappointment washing over his face. "But, you're like the only person I really know here...you have to go...because I'm going and you have to go so we can hang you know?"

"Ugh, you're pathetic Justin. You can make friends in two weeks to go with."

"But..."

"Can't you just accept that I'm not going? Damn it!" I hiss, about to gather my books to leave but he stops me.

"Is it because you don't think you'll get a date? Because hello, I'm sitting right here." Justin muses but I ignore him.

That's part of it. The other part is the vow I made to myself to never partake in these things again after the experiences I've had.

"That's sweet and all Justin but...just no ok? Can you please drop it so we can actually get our work done? That's why you wanted to come to the library right?" I whisper this time when I notice that we're attracting unwanted attention.

He huffs and rests back in his seat, clearly displeased with me. I don't see why. Like I said, I'm not trying for us to like each other or be friends. I'm just trying to get this month over with so I can be rid of him. Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy and all, but the last thing I want is to make friends with someone I'm never going to see or speak to again after the end of the school year.

"Fine. I'll drop it...for now. But you're not off the hook missy." Justin warns and I roll my eyes, ignoring him for the most part.

That is, until we're interrupted by the head boy of Justin's dorm, Manny Fitzgerald. He's what you call an overachiever. He's not bad looking either with his brunette hair, tall build and brown eyes. But, he's still a nerd.

"Excuse me, Justin?"

Manny taps Justin on his shoulder to grab his attention.

Turning in his seat, Justin gives him a bored expression.

"What's up head boy?" Justin inquires.

"It's Manny, and I'm here to insist that you change your attire back to the regular uniform or I'm going to have to report this as a violation of the dress code." Manny says firmly.

"You're shiting me?"

"No Justin. I'm not." Manny scowls.

"But I own my own clothing line. This uniform thing is stifling to one's individuality you know." Justin counters rudely and I shake my head in amusement.

"Yes well, that's great and all but as long as you attend this school, the rules apply to you also and that includes the uniform dress code. I'm letting you off with a warning. But as soon as you leave here, I suggest you change your attire. That is all. Carry on."

With that said, Manny struts away leaving Justin stunned speechless.

"Can you believe that kid? Who hired the fashion police?" Justin tells me with a large grin on his face.

"I told you so." I state, laughing lightly.

"You did. I guess I should listen to you more huh Lilah?" Justin chortles and I pretend like he didn't just call me Lilah instead of Delilah.

"Can we please do our work now?" I plead causing Justin to raise his hands in defeat while still laughing.

"Yes mam."

 

Chapter End Notes:
Ok, so I kind of switched up Justin's age a bit to suit the whole school thing and the campus is actually located in a rural area of New York which I'll address in the next update, so, that part is fictional and not related to real life NY settings. :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: privateschool school justin