35. Chaotic Semester - Take 2

 

Later

At Justin’s Place

 

“I’m home right now, just took a shower. I’m done for the day, why?” I question, my cell phone glued to my ear as I amble into the kitchen.

“Switch on the television. You agreed to this; you guys haven’t met, but you should really see this kid since he’s basically living your life.” Trace explains to me on the line.

“Hmm?” I reply, grabbing a beer out of the refrigerator before heading into the living room to switch on the television. “What am I looking for?”

“MTV.” Trace replies.

I switch over to MTV noting a segment of their short newscast going on. They’re talking about my upcoming Shriner’s benefit and the fact that this year will probably be the first year I may not be there for my own event. Well, it’s not exactly my fault here. I initially planned to fly out there but after talking with Johnny about the situation and how troublesome it was going to be based on my classes and basketball-training schedule, we came up with the next option. I did do the promotional videos and work I was supposed to get done over summer break so everything should be fine.

“Is that Henry?” I ask, referring to the student I switched places with at this school since they were at capacity when I came here.

“Yup.” Trace groans and I chuckle as I study his tall lanky frame, bleach blonde hair and obvious snooty attitude as he talks animatedly to the reporters. He carries himself like an elite. I’m guessing mommy and daddy are from high-class society. “Justin, are you sure you’re ok with this kid representing you at the Shriner’s benefit?”

“Well, yeah, I mean, that was the agreement from the start right? We’ve been through this Trace. Bare with it, it’s only four more months.” I tell him.

“Ugh, shit, whatever. So how are things in that place you call prison?” Trace asks me as I sip on my beer.

“Uh.” I swallow, staring at my duffle bag where I dropped it on the couch when I came in earlier. “It’s still too early to tell but Vick is a pain in the ass as usual.”

Stretching across, I grab my bag and slowly open it before pulling out the item I took from Ethan’s locker earlier. I should probably return it before he notices it’s missing, but I doubt I’ll do that depending on what the contents are.

“Vick is going to look for ways to put you and Delilah in trouble. You all better watch out. You know how he fucked you guys up a few times back when you were in the band.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got it covered.” I ensure Trace. I’m only hoping that the times when I’m not with Lilah, they will leave her alone for the most part.

Staightening my posture, I stretch out my limbs a bit, scratching my chest through my white wife beater before I able over to the DVD player. Gazing down at the DVD in my had entitled: “Our Times Together,” I pull it out of its clear case and pop it in, pressing play before I take a seat.

“So what are you up to now?” Trace asks as I grab the remote player to turn up the volume.

“Watching a homemade movie.”  I reply dryly when the screen turns to black and I hear muffled shuffling and laughing in the background before the surroundings in the footage become clear.

“That sounded cryptic Justin.” Trace chuckles, but I tune him out when I hear a very familiar giggle coming from somewhere behind the video camera.

 

“Ethan…Ethan don’t hide!” Lilah laughs out.

“Do not Delilah, I swear…” Ethan chuckles before he comes into view.

It’s clear that Lilah’s the one holding the camera as she films him in what looks like someone’s house. I have no idea whose place this is. It’s not Lilah’s home so it must be Ethan’s place in New York.

“Uh, Trace, can I call you back?” I mutter, not waiting for his reply. I hear him saying something but I ignore him, too engrossed with what I’m looking at. “Ok, bye.” I hang up and rest back in my seat, feeling my stomach twist into knots when I hear Lilah call Ethan by some nickname she had for him back then.

He looks ridiculously young, but he’s the same cocky asshole in this. I’m guessing this was taken some time around their freshman year here at Higher Heights. That was well over four years ago, before I even knew Lilah existed.

“Would you stop filming me?” Ethan barks at her, his smile still on his face.

“Aw but you look so cute sitting there being studious. It’s a rare sight.” Lilah laughs, zooming in on his face and the textbook he’s holding in his hands.

Ethan looks up directly at the camera and then suddenly drops his book and lunges at Lilah. There’s a short struggle before the tables are turned and he points the camera in her face.

I gasp in shock when she comes into view, the sight of her from four years ago stunning me. I mindlessly place my hand over my mouth, my orbs widening as I take in the sight of a completely different Lilah.

She’s wearing a cute, short, yellow and white dress, her hair is much longer than I’ve ever seen it and it’s auburn and curly falling over her shoulders. She looks healthy and happy…so happy.

“Oh my god.” I mutter still in utter shock as she giggles and laughs, shying away from the camera while she tries to reclaim the camera from Ethan.

Who is this woman? That’s not my Lilah. She’s absolutely beautiful, bubbly and she’s glowing. Is this the real her? Is this the person I’ve been trying my hardest to bring out from that protective shell she’s been hiding in? This is the person I always knew she was, who she truly is. My shock slowly begins to morph into immeasurable anger when I realize that Ethan is the sole cause of shattering and transforming that person smiling and laughing back at the camera into who she is today.

Unforgivable. It’s unforgivable.

 

The more I watch, the sicker to my stomach I become. I finish off my beer, now in a trance state as I continue to watch the various footage he pasted together of different times they spent with each other during their relationship. Even Ethan seems like a completely different person in this. In fact, I can almost see why Lilah was in love with him back then. Wait, what am I thinking? What am I doing? Why am I watching this? But, I can’t stop…I want to know more. I want to know more of the Lilah who was unscathed back then…the Lilah who didn’t have the type of baggage she has now; the carefree, jovial Lilah who simply knew that she was in love with her high school sweetheart. It’s unsettling but…but I can’t look away. I, I want to see that Lilah again. I want her to go back to herself, her true self. She’s slowly getting there, but as long as Ethan remains in the picture somehow, I don’t think she could ever fully heal the way she needs to.

I’ve sat through random video clips of them in school, at home and out with friends including Ryan. I’ve also sat through some of their dates, times when they traveled to the beach and miscellaneous times in between. I’ve been sitting here for over an hour now, amazed that I’m witnessing a Lilah I never knew and probably never will.

I check the amount of time left on the DVD, realizing there are only a few minutes left on this film.

The current clip I’m watching of one of Ethan’s basketball games, switches over and that catches my attention when everything turns silent.

“Ethan what are you doing? Get over here!”

That’s Lilah’s voice.

I cringe at the sight of Ethan’s bare torso right in front of the lens of the camera as he seems to be fixing it in place.

“Hang on, I’m pouring your drink girl.” Ethan chuckles but this time seems different. This time, he seems nervous. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m a little perplexed with what’s going on now. I hear Ethan mumble something but it’s too low to understand so I pause and rewind the video, turning up the volume. “Shit, I can’t believe I have no choice but to do this…” He mutters quietly.

“Did you say something?” I hear Lilah ask but I can’t see her since Ethan’s body is in the way.

“Huh? No babe. Hang on a minute.” Ethan states.

“Move idiot.” I groan angrily, laughing when I catch myself.

Ugh, I’ve clearly fallen. I can’t believe I’m doing this…really.

Ethan finally moves away from the camera for a bit and it’s then that I notice he has a bottle of some drink and two glasses pouring the liquid into. He pauses when he’s done, and I think I notice him put some ice and…wait a minute. I rewind the video to when he puts the ice into the two glasses from the cooler on the table and…something else? Did he put something else in there? I can’t be sure, it’s not really clear with the angle and the fact that half the actions are cut out from the camera but I could have sworn he put something else in there other than ice.  He picks up both glasses and turns to walk over to Lilah I’d assume.

The lens from the camera automatically refocuses and it’s then the surroundings clearly come into view. They’re in a…bedroom.

I swallow hard, my eyes squinting when I notice Lilah sitting on the bed, smiling up at Ethan as she takes one of the glasses from him and takes a sip. She looks like she’s hardly wearing any clothes and immediately the alarm signals in my brain begin going off. My heartbeat speeds up, beating erratically behind my ribcage as I grip the remote and fast-forward the remaining video footage.

As I thought…this is going somewhere I don’t want to see but…even in fast forward mode since I chose the slower speed up time, I can clearly see what’s happening. They’re talking, drinking their drinks, then, Ethan takes the glasses and places them down, he leans over to Lilah, kisses her…and then…and then…

I finally make it to the end and shut off the DVD player entirely, swiping my palms over my face a few times to calm myself down. Is this…is this the clip Lilah was talking about that aired for the entire student body to see in their freshman year at one of their dances? Is this…because if it was, I’ll fucking kill Ethan for exposing her like that. I mean, shit…shit they were barely concealed beneath the covers. And Lilah’s moans, they’ll forever be burned into my memory. How…how can I look at her knowing what I know now? What do I tell her? And how the fuck could Ethan be so careless with having something like this lying around?

Oh my fucking g…what the hell did I just witness? I inhale deeply, looking down at my cell phone when it begins ringing loudly. I notice that Trace is trying to get me back but I ignore the call, stuffing my mobile phone into my pocket, a slew of profanities falling from my lips as I jump up from my seat. I stumble over my couch, grabbing my black hoodie hanging over one of the dining room chairs. I make my way to the front door with my car keys in hand.

I’ll kill him. I’ll fucking kill the bastard. It’s much worse getting a visual than simply knowing what happened. For touching Lilah, for hurting her and destroying her beautiful spirit, I’ll kill him.

 

**

 

In no time flat I make it back to Higher Heights, glancing at my  wrist watch. It’s not too late. The afternoon is just ending. It’s about twilight now so I can still visit the dorms.

I know I’m probably going to do or say some stupid shit, but right now I don’t give a fuck. I’m too worked up. Fuck what I said to the jerk in the locker rooms earlier. I’m going to put him in his place now once and for all. I don’t need this shit and neither does Lilah. If I don’t enforce how serious I am about this, it’ll never end.

When I make it to the male dorms, my steps falter when Lilah crosses my mind. If she knew I came back here…the reason why I’m here…she’ll probably find out eventually but…

“Justin?”

I freeze, slowly turning around when I hear my name called. Frowning deeply, I groan while staring at the familiar person.

“Manny. Hey.” I greet him and he gives me a curious look.

“What’s going on? Visiting hours for students living off campus ends soon. Be sure to leave on time.” He explains and I nod, biting my bottom lip to conceal giving him a smartass remark.

“Maybe you can help me. We’re Ethan’s dorm room?” I question, noting how Manny’s interest peaks by my question.

“Why would you…”

“Just tell me head boy!” I snap at him and he folds his arms across his chest defiantly. “Fine! It’s concerning basketball practice earlier.” I lie. “It won’t take long geez, you suspicious…” But I catch myself. Calling him a suspicious prick won’t get me what I want. “Look I’m sorry. I’m a little…troubled right now. Tell me so I can leave.”

“Hmm.” Manny hums, still eyeing me doubtfully. “His room is at the end of the hall, last door on the right. Make it quick and try not to cause any trouble.” He finally discloses before getting ready to leave. I glower at him before I whip around, muttering a ‘thanks’ before I head off down the hall, leaving him behind.

My heartbeat is still thundering loudly and the adrenaline rush that kicks in when I make it to Ethan’s door startles me momentarily. I pause, listening to the voices on the other side of the door. He has company. But that won’t stop me. I’m on a mission.

I decide to test the knob and sure enough the door is unlocked. Now’s not the time for manners. I’m going to barge right in and give the jerk what’s coming to him…

“Seriously dude, you really should lay off Delilah and that Timberlake guy. Who knows what his fame and fortune can do.”

“Yeah Ethan! Justin seems pretty damn serious about her, though I don’t see why he is. I mean, it’s only Delilah.”

What the fuck is this? I stare at the wooden door, not surprised that we’re those jocks topic of conversation, but it still pisses me off.

“Hmm, I don’t know. I’m not sure what I’ll do exactly, but I wasn’t planning on my dad getting involved.” Ethan’s voice filters out through the cracks in the door frame and I cringe.

“In other words, you were unsuccessful in getting your dad to leave the Marshall family alone.”

“Mmhm pretty much.” Ethan responds. “I don’t know what he’s up to anymore though, since I tried to stop him. My old man sure knows how to hold a grudge.”

When I hear Ethan’s annoying laugh, something inside of me snaps and without a second thought, I barge right into that room, unconcerned with the occupants other than Landing.

“Son of a bitch.” I mutter, my eyes dead set on Ethan as I storm toward him.

He looks at me in utter shock, immediately standing from his sitting position. “Timberlake? What the fuck are you doing…”

But that’s as far as he gets because the moment I reach him, I swing my right fist with all my built up anger and strength, hitting him square in the jaw. He stumbles back from the blow, his hand immediately flying up to his face as he gasps in shock.

“Shit. Fuck!” Ethan groans in pain.

Still riled up, I get in his face and grip his shirt roughly to yank him forward. “You slimy bastard.” I hiss at him. “I warned you! I…”

“Wow, hold up, what the fuck did I do now? I haven’t bothered your precious ‘Lilah!’” He sneers at me with blood slowly trickling down the side of his mouth.

“That’s beside the point!” I growl.

“Wow, Justin what are you doing?” I pause at the sound of Ryan’s voice. So he’s here too huh? I was so caught up with my objective I completely ignored the other people in here.

“Chill out Timberlake. Don’t be so irrational. You’re outnumbered here.” I make out the voice of one of the other guys on the basketball team, but I don’t turn around to face him or take heed of his warning.

“Tell me the truth.” I snap at Ethan who’s glaring at me in perplexity. Why isn’t he fighting back? “What did you really do to Lilah all those years ago? That video you aired for the entire student body to see, why’d you do it? I can’t imagine you doing something like that where you’d be exposed as well. Right?”

“Huh? Justin you…” Ethan begins but I cut him off again.

“Tell me you bastard! And how could you drug her? You did didn’t you? That’s how you could get her to do what you wanted that time you filmed the two of you in bed…” I trail off when Ethan’s orbs widen in shock. His face turns pale white, his hands suddenly gripping my wrists to push me off him.

I release the hold I have on him, coughing slightly as I catch my breath.

“How did you…wait…in the locker rooms earlier…that DVD…” Ethan mutters mindlessly, wiping at his mouth and now swollen cheek.

“It’s fucking amazing how you can have shit like that lying around.” I tell him, slowly regaining my composure. I need to calm down. I feel like I’m losing my mind here with all the thoughts that are engulfing me. “It makes me wonder. Just what type of person is your notorious father who has such a strong hold on Lilah’s family and their reputations and future? I’ve never met the man, don’t know who he is, but he’s quite the evil villain isn’t he? Much worse than you. What’s his motive? What are you all really trying to gain out of making this family’s life a living hell? It goes past simple revenge doesn’t it?” I bark at Ethan, ignoring the flustered yet frustrated look on his face as he keeps his distance from me.

It’s obvious he’s trying to figure a way out of this. I’ve put him on the spot and in front of his friends too. When he doesn’t respond I continue on with my rant, hoping that I can send him over the edge enough to snap and shed some light on the situation.

“I mean I don’t get it. You cheat on Lilah first, so she decides to get back at you by doing the same thing. She rats you out to the coach about your steroids habit, you go ape shit on the guy she cheated on you with, sending him to the hospital. Your parents and the cops get involved, then after the guy recovers, he mysteriously leaves or transfers schools never to be heard from again. The case and charges of assault are dropped, you’re suspended or whatever by the headmaster after the investigation, then your families begin a never-ending feud that’s been going for years…ever since. For people who were such great friends and got along so well…something doesn’t add up. I feel like there’s a very important piece missing in this story. Maybe a piece that Lilah herself isn’t aware of. But you know what Ethan? You’re going to tell me. I promise you that before we leave this fucking school at the end of this year, you’re going to tell me every thing I need to know. I don’t care if I have to track your good-for-nothing dad down and settle the score with him myself. I’ll do whatever it takes. I heard he’s a politician? That’s fine. I’m also in the public’s eye, I know how to deal with people well. I’m up for the challenge.”

Ethan clicks his teeth at the end of my rant, turning his back to me as he walks over to his knapsack sitting at the foot of his bed. He leans over, opens it and stuffs his hand in before taking out a small piece of paper.

“Here.” He walks over to me handing me a business card. “My dad’s business card. If you think you can really take him on, give it your best shot. But before you succeed, I guarantee he will destroy you and maybe take it a step further by involving the people closest to you. If you really want to stop him, you’d better do it without him having any knowledge of it. Then again, I was pretty damn unsuccessful and I’m his son. But, whatever. You think you all are the only ones who want this feud to end? Do you have any idea what this controversy could do for my future basketball career?”

“Of course, it’s all about you isn’t it Ethan. You’re so selfish. What did Lilah ever see in you?” I sneer at him.

“I could say the same for you.” He retorts.

“Hmph.” I stare at the business card in my hand, scowling deeply before I stuff it in my pocket.

“You can do what you want Justin. It’s up to you. But I’d suggest you not get anymore involved than you already are. I’ve done my best to keep you out of the picture enough where my dad wouldn’t be concerned so…”

“What’s with you?” I ask Ethan, a bit confused by his behavior now. He’s calm for the most part, he didn’t lash back and he’s cautioning me? Is his father really that bad? If so why haven’t we dealt with him since I’ve been at Higher Heights?

“My dad doesn’t like to get his hands dirty. But that doesn’t mean he won’t still get the job done. I honestly don’t know much about his plans or actions, but from what I do know, not even I can really go up against him. That being said, that DVD you took, it wasn’t mine. I mean, yeah, the footage on it belonged to me, but I didn’t create the actual DVD. I saw it once, the first time it was made, but that time was back at my house in New York. So, it showing up in my locker was to pose as a reminder.” Ethan explains.

“A reminder?” I repeat, not buying that lame excuse.

“You really shouldn’t get into people’s stuff Justin. Curiosity kills I hope you know that. In this case, it’s literal. You have no idea what you’re getting yourself into…not even Delilah knows everything that’s happening. I’m sure the Marshalls didn’t tell their kids all what my dad’s been up to. I’m sure the Marshalls also didn’t tell their children what they know about my dad and why he won’t give up and simply leave them alone. So you’re right to think that this family feud is deeper than it really is. Maybe Lilah and I were simply excuses for them, but I can also tell you that you’d better not go snooping where you don’t belong, and don’t drag Lilah along with you. You’ll regret it.”

What the fuck is up with the cryptic shit?

“In other words, it’s better to go to the source huh?” I think out loud, ignoring Ethan’s warning for the most part. “Got it.”

I whip around to leave, my blues finally scanning the other three faces in the room, Ryan being one of them. There’s a knowing look on Ryan’s face as he clearly stares back at me. “And where do you fit into all of this Ryan? You know more than Lilah does don’t you?” I ask him. “There’s a reason you’re still hanging around Ethan isn’t there? For some reason, I don’t think it’s because you all are such best friends like you’re leading people to believe.”

Stuffing his hands in his pocket, Ryan smiles coyly at me, shrugging in the process. “I told Ethan you were smart, that you’d eventually start to see through the cracks, especially if you were truly serious about Lilah and cared for her.”

Hold on, say what?

“Stay out of it Justin. It doesn’t concern you.” Ryan adds in. “This is a family matter. You love Delilah don’t you? Then focus on her and let us continue to handle the rest.”

Wow, wow slow down.

“Ryan you…your aloof, passive, ‘not wanting to get involved’ attitude is a lie isn’t it?”

“No, I’m pretty much like that…but in this case, it makes things easier if Lilah continues to feel the way she does towards us and not look any further into it. I don’t mind, being hated by her, because no matter what, she’ll always be my cousin.” Ryan admits. “I’ll tell you one thing; this school is the last safe haven she has since she’s away from home right now, away from the direct chaos. But, well, I guess she has you now as well huh?”

I’m struck with awe, my mind turning upside down as the masks that were put up by these people slowly begin to shatter into pieces. I’m starting to see things in a new light. What an unpleasant revelation this is.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” I finally blurt out, still in a state of awe. Quickly regaining my composure, I proceed to leave, my stomach and heart twisting into knots when I come to terms with the  type of calamity that could be waiting for the woman I ended up falling in love with, if she learned the truth about the secrets her family is apparently keeping from her.

Shit, just what the fuck did I get myself into by coming to this godforsaken school?

As I swing the door open to Ethan’s room, I pause to turn around when the room remains dead silent, with everyone simply looking on, completely mute. The two other guys from the basketball team did their best to blend in with the bland walls of this room so as to not get involved.

“Listen. Don’t tell Lilah about any of this or that I was here. I think you all know why and what will happen if word gets to her.”

“You too Timberlake. Pretend like you don’t know anything. And return that DVD. It doesn’t belong to you.” Ethan finally speaks up again and I huff in response, not giving him a reply.

Like hell I will. Why would I return the evidence when it’s going to help me solve this mystery? Without another word, I walk out of Ethan’s dorm room, slamming the door shut behind me.

I release a sigh of relief, resting against the hallway wall momentarily still feeling sick to my stomach as I swipe my palms over my face.  “Calm down Justin.” I mutter to myself, my orbs gazing at my surroundings closely. There are a few students walking up and down the halls but they ignore me for the most part. I should probably leave before someone, who’s nosy enough to query why I’m here, spots me.

Right. I need to get back to my ride and get out of here before anyone can go and tell Lilah that I’m here.

I’ve learned a lot today…much more than I expected. My suspicions were also clear. Ethan may be an asshole…that’s fact, he’ll always be that way and he may be appearing to be the bad guy, but no matter how I look at it, this shit goes right back to their parents. There’s more there, more that the children don’t know about, even if Ethan seems to have a pretty decent understanding with the way his dad operates. It’s clear he still doesn’t know for sure what his dad’s next move will be.

I wonder, what type of man is Eric Landing, Ethan’s dad? That’s the name I saw on his business card.

Rooting my cell phone out of my pocket, I quickly hit speed dial for Trace’s number as I pull the hood of my hoodie over my head to partially conceal my identity.

A few seconds later, he picks up and I’m met with immediate verbal bashing.

“You fuckin’ cunt! Why’d you hang up on me like that J? That was rude dude! I’ve been trying to get you back.” Trace barks over the line and I roll my eyes as I pick up my pace, exiting the male dorms.

“I know. I’m sorry. I was distracted ok?” I apologize to him. “Never mind that, I need you to do me a favor.” I tell him. He quiets down, noting the urgency in my voice.

“Wow, something’s up. What’s going on Justin?”

“Get that Henry kid I switched places with to contact me. Tell him it’s important. I know we’re only supposed to meet at graduation, but the rules were meant to be broken.” I explain to Trace.

“Again, I’m asking…what’s going on Justin? This sounds serious.” Trace points out in concern.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll tell you more, but I can’t go into detail right now. But do what I ask ok? Please let him know I need to talk to him. There’s some information I’d like to verify. It’s better if I speak to someone who’s outside of the school right now, but still knows what’s happening for the most part.”

“Delilah doesn’t know about what you’re up to does she?” Trace inquires, his tone stating that he already knows the answer to his question.

“No. And I’m not going to tell her. Not until I’ve accomplished what I’ve set out to do.”

“Damn, you weren’t joking when you said you felt like you needed to ‘save’ Lilah from something in order to secure a future with her.” Trace says, reminding me of a time during summer break back in Cali when I did say something similar to that when we were talking about my temporary life here at this place.

“I think it’s more serious than I initially thought Trace. Right now, at this very second, I can’t help but feel practically powerless, asking myself… ‘what could I do to make this all go away for good?’ How do I protect the woman I love without bringing to her attention that she could actually be in some type of danger?”

The last thing I want is for Lilah to know about any of this. It seems that the people around her have been protecting her from the truth for a while as well. Who am I to say they’re wrong in doing so when I want to do the same thing? I don’t want to see her get hurt anymore than she already has. I don’t want her to lose the faith and hope she has left in her family. But I think I understand why her family would try to keep her in the dark about the intricate details of their feud with the Landings. It’s not to lie to her or to deceive her but to protect her because if Lilah was thrust into the heart of the matter, I truly think it would destroy her. She’s been doing well, slowly opening up and getting stronger, but I don’t think she’s ready yet. I don’t think she’s strong enough yet to face her past, Ethan and their families dead on. But I’ll help her get there. I’ll do everything in my power to make sure she’s ready to face that world once all is said and done and she graduates and leaves this place.

 

***

New York

Landing Resident

 

In an upper class neighborhood in New York, inside a two-story mansion, sits a middle-aged man in his study, casually sipping on a glass of scotch on the rocks. He has auburn hair, a grey mustache and wrinkles on his aged face. His demeanor is intimidating and his stare is ruthless and stoic as his dark blue orbs scan the family photo sitting on his desk of him, his wife and his son. The photo was taken when his son was back in high school, the star of his high school’s basketball team.

“Hmm…Ethan.” The man growls lowly, his voice horse and grainy as he takes a sip of his drink from the glass in his hand.

Leaning back in his seat, he gazes at the ceiling, calculated thoughts passing through his mind as he deciphers his next move.

A few minutes later, the phone line in his study starts ringing, interrupting his quiet, peaceful time.

He grabs the receiver, picking it up and placing it next to his ear as he shuts his eyes for a bit.

“Yes. Speak.”

“Boss, it’s me.”

“Ah, I’ve been waiting for your call. Did you deliver my reminder to my son?”

“Yes sir. I placed the DVD where he would easily find it.”

“Good. This should warn him that if he tries to get into the middle of my affairs again, I will not hesitate to destroy that little Marshall girl he’s still so obviously and stupidly in love with. What an idiot son he is.”

“Right but um, Mr. Landing, there’s just one more thing. When I was leaving, making sure to be careful so no one would spot me, I overheard Ethan and Justin Timberlake having some type of conversation.”

“What are you going on about? If you did what I asked then that’s all. I’m hanging up now.”

“No wait sir you don’t understand. That Justin, he’s a celebrity. Not only that, but it’s rumored that he’s dating Delilah Marshall and also attending Higher Heights as terms of some deal or bet he made. I’m not sure exactly, but I can tell you that it looks like he knows about Ethan and Delilah’s past.”

“Hmm?” Eric Landing’s orbs pop open as he digests what he’s being told. An evil smirk floats across his face as he thinks about Howard Marshall and the thorn in his side he’s become. Of course, with his daughter Delilah, the apple didn’t fall far from the tree. If only Ethan would take after him, his father, then he wouldn’t need to be worried so much. “Well, we can’t have any of that can we? Looks like I’ll have to look into this celebrity a bit to make sure he won’t be a hindrance to me or my son.”


Incomplete
d_simplicity is the author of 38 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 28 members. Members who liked Higher Heights also liked 782 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: privateschool school justin