2. Hi, Nice To Meet You...I Think

 

Sometimes, I wonder why I choose the people I do as friends.

And I say this with the strongest intent to drop the set I have now because it's been an hour of constant chattering and they're showing no signs of shutting up.

"So I heard he's here. He arrived this morning and he's off with Cindy touring the campus."

"No way! Oh my god, I can't believe the Justin Timberlake is going to our school. That's like, slapping wings on pigs and telling them to fly."

I can't help but roll my eyes slightly at my friend's analogy. She's a crazy one.

"Oh my god I know! It's like insane because all the girls are going to be all over him. Ugh, he's going to turn half the student body into sluts and pimps by the time this is over."

Groaning, I slam my book down on my desk and lift my head to glare at my two best friends.

"Really guys? You're serious? How in the world can you peg the man as some sex god without knowing a thing about him?" I question and both my friends eye me strangely.

"Uh, Delilah, he's Justin fucking Timberlake!" Michelle says in an obvious manner and I quirk a brow at her.

"Uh yeah! Enough said. You need to catch up more on your media gossip girl." Sandra pipes in and I groan yet again.

I need to get some new friends.

"Well excuse me if I don't care that some supposed hot superstar is attending our school for the next semester." I mutter and both Michelle and Sandra gasp with appalled expressions.

"Oh my god Delilah, you're like an alien or something. Damn." Michelle sniggers. "And for your information he's here for the whole year."

"Great." I mutter mindlessly, not caring as I continue reading my art book in silence. "Can you all please take your excitement outside? I need to study for my art exam tomorrow."

"Fine miss boring. Geez. We'll see you at lunch." Sandra mutters, brushing her pleated skirt before fixing her matching blazer with our school crest on the right pocket.

I give them a quick glance and wave them off as they make their way to my door.

"Fine, fine, bye girls!" I brush them off and a few seconds later I hear the door open and close.

Smiling, I lean back in my chair, thankful for the silence.

Looking out of my window, I catch a glimpse of the many students of Higher Heights walking about below heading in various directions as they go on with their day.

I'm actually happy that this is my last year. It's senior year and even if I haven't made any type of memorable name for myself since I've been here, I'm hoping that this year, that will change.

Oh, I'm sorry, where are my manners? Hi, I'm Delilah Marshall and I was actually born in England but was raised in Boston.

There's not much to my life or family history. I have a mom who's African American and a dad who's a white English man and they are both in real estate and a brother who's going to Yale.

Ever since I was a little girl, I've always been drawn to art and started off at a young age in my coloring books as well as drawing little cartoon sketches to even making my own comic books. The very first comic book I made was called Delilah's world. I think the name kind of speaks for itself.

Since my parents only wanted the best for their little girl, they sent me here to get a start in fulfilling my dreams, so, I took up the art and music program but between the two, I'd say painting and sketching are my passions.

That's about all there is to know. Oh that and I'm the school's outcast...literally. Yes, I have two best friends, but even they are not as weird as I am. I'm not a pessimist, nor am I an optimist. I'm neutral if you will. I don't expect much and just take things as they come.

It's hard for me to let someone in and trust them because well, my high school days were spent being teased by the better looking kids.

No, I'm not exactly ugly, or a fat girl, but I have a little extra meat on my bones compared to the skinny girls walking around here. Eh, I'm comfortable in my skin. I don't stick out like a sore thumb, but I don't exactly fade into the shadows either. I don't know. All I know is, I can't wait to get my degree and then work on my dream of someday owning my own art studio.

But enough about me. I should really get back to my studying but alas, I can see that's not going to happen because there's a knock on my door.

Staring at the wooden barrier, I contemplate on pretending like no one's here but I cave when I hear Cindy Carter's voice on the other side.

"It's open Cindy."

Seconds later the door swings open and I'm greeted by a smiling Cindy who always looks like she's so busy she barely has time to stand in one place.

"Hey there volunteer." She beams brightly and I glare at her, not returning her smile.

"What have I been assigned to?" I ask, knowing where this is going.

Ok, so I only signed up as a school volunteer for any activities that were taking place at school to be a part of something, but now I'm starting to regret that. Whatever this is, it better not take out of my study time.

"Uh, well it's not exactly a school activity but since you're the only volunteer free at the time I thought it would be suiting?" She shrugs and I lean back in my seat, folding my arms across my chest.

"Spit it out Cindy."

"Well, uh..." She drifts, looking down at her clipboard, stalling. "I know that this isn't exactly what you signed up for but headmaster Williams thought it would be good for you. He wants you to show Justin Timberlake around for the next month and get him acquainted with this place. He's new, he came in today and we want him to have the best experience possible at Higher Heights."

I can feel a sudden dread wash over me.

"I didn't sign up for babysitting." I mutter but Cindy easily ignores me.

"Oh it will be good for the both of you. You'll be able to be more open and Justin will have a friend here. Listen, I really need to go. I'm head of the committee planning the spring dance and...look, he's here right now. Come out to meet him and here's his schedule. Could you show him to his first class please?" She begs and I know there's no getting out of this so I relent, groaning loudly in displeasure.

"Might as well." I mumble, standing from my seat with Justin's schedule in hand.

Gripping my text book and purse, I follow Cindy to my door deciding to head to the library to get some more study time in after I deposit the pop star at his first class.

"Great! Thank you so much Delilah." Cindy hums. On our way out of my dorm room she stops before opening the door to turn and face me. "Oh he's a little grumpy so, be careful with what you say to him." She whispers and I roll my eyes. As if.

"Sure, let's get this over with." I nod.

When she swings the door open and Justin comes into view, a deep frown slides over my light caramel face.

Seriously, he's what the girls here are drooling over? There are much cuter boys going to our school. I guess when you have the fame and fortune like Justin does anything goes right? Ok, that was mean. He's actually a very attractive guy, but whatever.

When he sees us, or more Cindy, he immediately straightens his posture, his eyes never even drifting in my direction.

"Are we ready to go?" He asks Cindy.

See? Like I said, I'm not totally invisible, but I sure don't stand out either.

"Actually, I forgot this thing I have with the spring dance committee, so Delilah is going to take over and show you to your first class. I really need to go. You all take care!" Cindy waves before starting to walk away and I see panic flash over Justin's face.

"Who the hell is Delilah?" He calls after Cindy but she already rounds the corner and disappears down the halls.

"I'm standing right next to you." I speak up and he finally slowly turns in my direction, his blue eyes scanning me quickly before a displeased scowl is plastered on his face.

"Are you the one who's going to be stalking me for the next month?" He spits rudely and I give him a bored expression.

"Are you the one everyone keeps going on and on about? Because really, I don't see what the big deal is." I counter and his eyes widen slightly in offence before he licks his lips, still eyeing me. He doesn't respond though...just stares. "And I prefer the term tour guide thanks."

"Huh." He huffs, fixing his book-bag on his shoulder.

"Listen Justin, you don't want to be here and frankly, I don't want to babysit you but it looks like we're stuck with each other. We don't have to be friends, but if you want to survive at Higher Heights, you might want to kill the attitude because like any jungle, you need to be cautious with the types of creatures you mess with especially in their habitat. Just a fair warning. There are students here who won't care about your celebrity status and will treat you equally. There are those who will worship the ground you walk on. And, there are those who will give you a harder time until they make sure you understand that you're not special or any better than them. I'd watch out for those. Now follow me."

Whipping around, I begin walking until Justin catches up to me and stops me, turning me around to face him.

"Are you always like this?" He asks with intrigue, a light smile gracing his features and I roll my eyes.

"Sometimes." I shrug and he nods, breaking eye contact with me.

"Well, I guess it's nice to meet someone who isn't easily impressed by my status...I think."

"Well, I guess I don't really care that much either way...I think." I retort and he lets out a soft grunt.

"It's nice to meet you Delilah." He decides after a moment of silence.

I'm a little surprised that he's ok with my brash behavior and I'm tempted to say it's nice to meet him too, but I'm not that easily impressed.

"Right, follow me. You don't want to be late for professor Scotland's history class. She'll make you pay dearly for it." I quip and Justin lets out a light chuckle as we begin our journey down the halls.

"I believe you." He snickers and I laugh softly, picking up my pace as my grip on my book tightens and silence falls between us.

Ok, so I know we just met, and I was dead set on hating the little bugger, but having him be the first person to make me smile and even laugh lightly for the day does not mean I like him either.

It just means that like everything else in my life, my feelings towards him are now neutral.

And that's usually how things stay so I'm ok with that.

I guess I won't have to worry too much about him giving me a hard time and when that month is over, I'll be rid of him and will be able to get back to just doing me...



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: privateschool school justin