27. Sparks Will Fly...In Sunny Cali

 

 

"Hey Trace! Missed...me?"

The last part of my sentence trails off into a faint murmur as I pause, stopping my advancements when Trace appears into my line of sight with company.

"Oh...um..." I look down, shaking my head to clear my shock before putting on a smile. "Hi."

"Hey? I'm Jess. And you are?"  She extends her hand for me to take.

I bite the corner of my bottom lip as I eye her. Jessica Biel. The actress. Justin's...ex.

"I uh...I'm Delilah." I keep my smile, shaking her hand lightly before pulling away. I turn to look at Trace who seems to be looking everywhere else but at us. On the list of things I expected when coming out here to California on my summer break, meeting Justin's ex was not one of them.

"Nice to meet you Delilah." She gives me a small smile in return as she studies me intently.

Well, this is awkward. She seems nice enough. Then again, I'm sure she doesn't know who I am.

"Likewise." I reply, my smile dropping. I can't do this. I feel out of place for some reason.

"So, how do you know the gang?" Jessica probes and I shift on my feet.

"Actually, I met Justin at Higher Heights boarding school. Of course we all know how he ended up going there." I tell her, shrugging dismissively in the process.

I note how her eyes widen slightly but she simply nods in acknowledgement, her lips pursing.

"Hey Jess, why don't you check upstairs for your stuff so I can drop you back home?" Trace finally interjects and she gives him a peculiar look before excusing herself to quietly head upstairs.

On her way up, Justin appears into view, his blues fixated on Jessica's retreating form.

I look at him, narrowing my eyes a bit before my attention is swayed by Trace.

"Took you long enough to get here." Trace voices and I gaze in his direction, my smile returning.

"So did you miss me?" I ask and he chuckles, pulling me into a tight bear hug.

"You bet I did." He says happily and I giggle in return before we break apart. "How was the flight?"

"Oh you know, it was alright." I voice.

"Good. I hope you came ready to have fun." Trace says enthusiastically as I divert my gaze to Justin who seems to be keeping to himself for the most part as he eyes us.

"I did." I say to Trace, keeping my focus on Justin.

Before any of us can say anything else, I hear Rachel's voice from somewhere upstairs.

She's loud and seems a bit upset as she talks to Jessica.

"Jess what are you doing here? You shouldn't be here right now...oh you're looking for your jacket?"

There's a short pause as Jessica mumbles a response I can quite make out...

"Wait, why on earth would it be in Justin's room?" Rachel asks her.

I notice Justin cringe when Rachel says this before he bows his head slightly as he rubs the back of his neck with one of his hands.

"Uh huh, well come on, I'll help you look so you can leave..." Rachel continues as her voice fades out since she seems to be moving.

I'm not sure what to make of this situation so I decide to ignore it. I just got here right? I'm happy about that. I'm not going to let anything or anyone pull me down.

Justin turns to Trace in that instant with an unpleasant scowl on his face, but he doesn't say anything. He simply glares at Trace.

"I'm sorry man...I thought..." Trace begins but he's interrupted when Jess comes jogging down the stairs with what looks like a jacket in hand.

"Found it!" Jessica beams happily. "Oh hey Justin!" She laughs out before moving towards him. Before Justin can open his mouth to reply, she stands on her tiptoes and gives him a quick hug and peck on the cheek. I can't help but giggle lightly when I notice how Justin's entire body tenses under her hold. Huh, looks like they have some tension between them. Pulling back, Jessica smiles at him, ignoring his obvious uncomfortable stance, then makes her way over to Trace, still keeping her smile. "Ok Trace we can go. I learnt my lesson now to always keep my driver's license and IDs close at all times." Jessica explains giggling.

I curve a brow, folding my arms across my chest when Trace frantically looks between Justin, Jessica and I, his stare apologetic.

"Right uh, well, come on." Trace voices, placing his hand on the small of Jessica's back to lead her out of the front door. "Guys, I'll be back." Trace tells us and I nod.

"Drive safely." I tell him and he gives me a small tight smile in return.

On their way out, Jessica stops in the doorframe to turn around and bid us farewell. "Bye Justin. We'll catch up sometime. Bye Delilah. It was nice meeting you. I'd love to see you again before you leave so we could maybe hang out and you could tell me some more about what it's like going to boarding school." She voices and I shake my head, giving her a polite smile.

"Sure that would be..." I trail, momentarily locking eyes with Justin. His blues are wide and fearful and I'm betting he's hoping I'll decline, but he must not know me by now. "That would be great Jessica. Looking forward to it." I grin for her.

"Awesome!" She says enthusiastically before Trace practically pushes her to walk.

"Ok, ok...let's go. Bye guys." Trace mutters before they're out the door and it slams shut.

When I hear Trace's ride come to life and he moves off, I shrug and whip around, surprised to see that Justin is glowering at me with a displeased expression.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that? Do I have something on my face?" I question, feigning innocence. "Cat got your tongue Justin? You haven't spoken in a while." I add in for good measure, noting his frown.

Smirking, Justin shakes his head at me before he moves over to where Rachel and I discarded my luggage earlier. Grabbing a suitcase in each hand, he brushes past me to make his way up the stairs. "Come on troublemaker. Follow me so I can show you to your room before you get the grand tour." He utters.

"He speaks." I giggle, following behind him. "And I'm not a troublemaker." I add in for good measure, though I know exactly why he said that.

Stopping halfway up the flight of stairs, Justin turns around partially to look at me. "This isn't funny. I don't see the humor in this Lilah. I don't fancy my ex and my current girlfriend making a hang out date to get to know each other better." He barks and my head jerks back at his harsh tone.

"Well hey there sour puss. What's the big deal? She seems like a nice person."

"Seems being the operative word here Lilah. Jess could care less about knowing you. Knowing what I've been up to at that school, yeah, she probably cares about that part. You don't know Jess like I do." Justin retorts, curving his brows at me when I roll my eyes.

"I'm sure I don't Justin." I say bitterly and he sucks in his bottom lip, his eyes narrowing.

"Whatever." He relents, turning back around to continue on his journey.

When we make it to the top of the second floor of his home, I pause briefly, taking in the long wide hallway with doors adorning it on either side.

"Don't get mad at me just because I took her up on her offer. It's not like I don't know how to handle myself Justin. Maybe I want to get to know her too. Ever thought about that?" I question as I follow him down the hall, his strides long and quick as he hauls my luggage behind him.

He stops walking abruptly, dropping my luggage before he spins around to glare at me. There's a long pause as we stare at each other before he finally decides to speak, his orbs searching mine. "Then, I should hang out with Ethan when we get back to Higher Heights after summer break. You know, and get to know him better. Maybe I actually want to know him. Ever thought about that?" Justin mocks me, his stare menacing.

I cringe when he says this, his words stinging more than I ever thought possible. "Ok, point taken. You win. I won't hang out with Jessica." I stress, raising my hands in defeat.

Sighing, Justin diverts his attention to the door he's standing in front of. Walking forward, he swings it open and turns to me. "Come on Lilah. Let's get you settled in."

Sadly, I nod and amble towards him, following him into the bedroom.

I quickly scan my surroundings, not surprised to see that this room looks more like a top class hotel suite rather than a guest bedroom in someone's home. It's nice though...still cozy...I like it.

When we're inside, Justin moves to face me, gripping my wrist softly to pull me towards him.

Averting his gaze, I look down at my shoes before he grips my chin and forces me to look up at him.

I gaze into his blues, pouting a bit and he smiles.

"Hey, I'm sorry ok?" He whispers. I look away from him and he groans. "Lilah...baby...hey...look at me." Justin pleads and I lock eyes with him reluctantly. "I'm sorry I said that. I know the jerk is a touchy subject for you." He voices, referring to Ethan. I guess he noticed my change in mood. "But, trust me the same goes for Jess ok? I know you're only trying to be kind given the situation but, don't mess with that. It's you and me right? We've got a long way to go. We don't need outside influences anymore than we have already." Justin explains and I exhale heavily.

"You're right. You are." I agree and his lips curve into a large grin.

"I'm right." He echoes. "I'm wondering how many guys ever got their partner to say that to them." He teases.

"Oh shut it Justin." I giggle and he chuckles before leaning down to press his lips against mine sweetly.

"Mmm..." I moan into the kiss, my hands lifting to grip fistfuls of his wife beater so I can pull him closer.

I think I'm going to love it here...having Justin all to myself...hmm, yeah, this could work out to be great.

Hesitantly, he pulls away from me. "You know we're gonna have plenty of time for that but first..."

"Delilah's going to come with me and take the grand tour while you cool off Justin."

Both Justin and I turn at the sound of Rachel's voice, finding her standing in the doorway of the room glaring at us with a large smile on her face.

Justin laughs with a shake of his head before he creates some space between us and nudges me to go with her.

"Whatever Rach." He groans.

"And, you're gonna call your mom. She just phoned for you when you all were downstairs. I told her I'd have you call her back."

I watch how Justin's demeanor changes drastically by Rachel's words before he looks at me and swallows hard.

Uh, ok?

"Fine. You all go ahead and I'll catch up with you in a few." He voices to us, and I shrug deciding to leave him alone for now as I move over to Rachel.

"Oh and Justin, one more thing..." Rachel begins as we make our exit. "Lynn asked if your friend came yet and that she can't wait to meet him when she gets back." Rachel explains, giving Justin an accusatory glare.

Ok, I'm lost.

Justin growls in annoyance, waving Rachel off.

"I got the message Rach, loud and clear. Go show Lilah around while I give mom a call huh?" He states. "I'll be with you guys in a few."

 

**

Days Later

In California

 

"What's with you and that stuff?" I ask as I take a seat on a nearby lounge chair.

"Works wonders as a stress reliever." Trace replies with a shrug. "It's not a habit, you just happen to be around." He quips.

I laugh, eyeing him suspiciously. "Nice excuse."

"I kid you not." He chuckles lightly. "Especially after the hectic year I had managing the fashion line on my own since Justin was M.I.A playing good student at that boarding school of yours. Trust me. I need this relief."

"Justin? A good student?" I snort.

Trace looks at me lazily while taking a long pull of his joint before blowing out the smoke. "Well you know, I use the word loosely."

"Very loosely." I affirm and we both erupt in laughter.

"This is part of why I like you Delilah. You can rag on Justin like Rachel and I do and not feel guilty about it afterwards." Trace snickers and I roll my eyes.

"He's an easy target." I divulge. He really is. "But hey, you should slow down there. Your eyes are beet red Trace. Gosh, are you high?" I giggle.

"Damn straight." He nods and I shake my head at him. "You want?" He asks, stretching his hand out for me to take the joint sitting between his thumb and index finger.

"No, I'll pass this time." I decline and he shrugs before taking another pull.

"Suit yourself." He blows out smoke, releasing a light yawn before laying back.

I get more comfortable myself, staring at the small ripples in the pool caused by the wind.

It's late afternoon now. I just got in a while ago with Justin after he took me golfing with him this morning. I don't get the excitement of the game golf, but he loves it so I can't complain much granted I got to see him play.

I've been out here in California for a few days now and so far, I'm not regretting my choice of coming to visit Justin on his turf. I miss my family and home yeah, but this place has been a great distraction from my normal routines. It's nice down here, mostly sunny since it's summertime and so far, Rachel, Trace and Justin have made my stay here as comfortable as possible. Rachel and I actually went shopping yesterday. Though I didn't buy much, it was nice getting to see all the hot shopping spots in Hollywood and Beverly Hills. We had a blast and it was just us girls which was a nice change from being around Justin and Trace all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guys...Trace is slowly becoming one of my favorite persons, but I feel like since I've been out here, Justin is...well...he's different. I mean, he's still Justin, but it almost seems like he's afraid to really be himself around me considering I'm in his territory and all. I mean, just the other day, he mentioned that he was going down to the studio to meet up with some producer and you know, I've never been inside a music studio before so I thought it would have been cool to get to witness him do what he loves, what made him the celebrity he is today. Only, when I asked if I could tag along, he nearly had a fit and flat out declined saying that I didn't want to be bored with that stuff when I could hang with Trace and Rachel for the day and find something fun to do. I didn't really think anything of it but I'm starting to wonder what his deal is. He was all up for me to get to know the other side of him right? The side of him that involves his career and his superstar life. So why do I feel like he's preventing me from knowing that part of him now? What's he afraid of?

"This is why it's good to get high." Trace interrupts my thoughts. "It forces you not to think as much. Ironically, it also tricks you into thinking you're much smarter than you really are. You look more gone than I feel right now." Trace chuckles and I sigh, forcing a smile as I look at him.

"Sorry, I spaced out." I lament.

"I can see that..." Seating up, Trace turns around to face me, giving me the best serious face he can muster up under his highness. "You should just tell him." He says firmly and I frown, not comprehending.

"You've lost me Trace." I giggle.

"Justin..." He drifts, taking another puff, finishing off his joint.

"What about Justin?" I ask skeptically.

"You should just tell him you're in love with him. It would release a load of tension between you two considering he's walking on pins and needles around here because of you, afraid he'll do something wrong or you'll witness something about his life that will taint your perfect little vision of him." Trace explains and I scowl deeply.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I voice stubbornly, my mind now riling with this bit of information. "My vision of Justin is not perfect...he's not perfect...no one is. I'm not expecting anything from him...he doesn't have to live up to some ideal image for me or..."

"Then you should tell him that, because I don't think he knows for sure. Clearly, he's afraid you'll look at him and think of him differently where his celebrity status is concerned. Considering the guy you met at that boarding school was him without the glitz and glamour behind his name, which really is his life on a regular, even surrounded by his close family and friends...no matter what. He's still Justin Timberlake. The thing about family and friends is, with us, he can forget that little fact. With you...he can't...not when it involves a romantic link. Because when you're his girlfriend, you're in the limelight as well and there's no getting away from it...the constant speculation about your relationship, the gossip."

You know, Trace has a point.

"I guess I never thought about it like that before." I admit.

"If you tell him how you feel, if he knows you love him for sure and that he has nothing to worry about, he won't be so anal about the whole idea of you being sucked into his life. He won't be worried about scaring you away. He makes it seem like it's no big deal, but he's probably silently freaking out about it. Mainly because he's so into you. It's who he is." Trace explains.

"And Justin told you this?" I ask him, wondering if I'm even supposed to know this.

"Not in so many words. But, hey, he's my best friend. I know him." Trace states and I nod in understanding.

"Right, but..." And Trace cuts me off.

"I may not know you that well Delilah, but I can see how you really feel about him. Point is, Justin's too blind and sometimes, too preoccupied or self-absorbed to notice."

"Am I that transparent?" I blush massively, ducking my head when Trace gives me a sly grin.

"No. I just made it my point of duty to notice you considering you've pulled my best friend under your spell."

"Huh...well, thanks for the talk I guess." I say, standing to head inside in search of Justin.

"I'll catch you later..." Trace drawls, shutting his eyes and inhaling deeply as he waves me off.

Being high sure makes him mellow.

If Justin is really on edge like Trace says, then that would explain his odd behavior these past few days. If that's the case, maybe I do need to do something to ease his worries.

 

When I make my way inside, I'm surprised to see Justin sprawled out on his living room couch with his head resting on the armrest as he lies on his back with a book in his grasp.

As I get closer, my eyes focus in on the cover of the book which reads ‘Higher Heights Fall Academic Catalogue.'

"Justin? What are you up to?" I question, moving around the couch to face him.

His blues flit in my direction, a small smile pulling at the corners of his lips before his vision is back on whatever he's reading.

"I could ask you the same thing." He jokes.

"Oh, I was out by the pool with Trace just now but I left him in peace to enjoy his high." I giggle.

"Huh, I hope you didn't join him." Justin warns.

"Nope. I'm sober." I giggle.

"Good." He chortles. "Well I was uh, trying to figure out what classes I'm going to take when we get back to school. I was thinking about taking up one of your art classes just so we'd be in a class together you know, but I can't find any that I qualify for since they're all advanced classes for your last semester." He explains. "So, I guess I'll try my luck with English." He voices.

I smirk when I notice that he has a pen in hand, no doubt probably underlining his class options for the new semester.

"Uh huh. Someone's loving school now." I point out and he finally closes the book before tossing it and his pen unto the floor next to the couch.

"Not really. But, it's a good getaway. I'm kind of looking forward to us being back at that place." He admits, smiling at me. "Even if that school is like a prison." He jokes.

"Can't wait to get away from here right?" I ask cautiously.

Gazing at me, a light frown adorns his face. "Lilah, anywhere I go, with you there as well, is a good getaway."

"But I'm here now...with you." I counter.

"That doesn't count. We're at my home. It's not a getaway if you're at home where your regular life is."

"Ah, so you like the idea of Higher Heights now because it takes you away from your regular lifestyle."

"At first I hated it. But, it's still an escape you know? Plus, I get to hang out with you and annoy you on a regular basis." Justin chuckles and I giggle along with him before he sits up and allows me to take a seat next to him on the couch.

"I see, but, Justin, Higher Heights is only temporary." I point out, reading his expressions.

He gives me a stoic glare. "I know that Lilah."

"So, have you given any thought to what happens after the semester and graduation is over and the year is done?" I question.

He shifts in his seat, his vision dropping to his lap before he grips my hand in his and starts tracing circles on the back of my hand with his thumb mindlessly.

"No." He simply states.

"Ok." I reply, remaining quiet as I bring up my feet under me and rest my head on his shoulder. He responds by snaking his arm over my shoulders to pull me into his embrace.

We stay like that for a while, silently enjoying each other's company as we sit cozily on his couch before he decides to speak again.

"Are you hungry? I could order takeout for us." Justin offers and I nod from where I'm snuggled up against him.

"I could eat." I yawn lazily.

"Cool."

When he makes an attempt to move, I stop him.

"Before you do that, I have something I need to tell you...what I mentioned I had to tell you when I arrived a few days ago." I point out.

I don't miss how he tenses slightly by my words. "Go ahead." He says softly.

"There really is no easy or simple way to say this." I voice, turning my head to look up at him. "No matter how I look at it, or how I try to rationalize it, the point is, everything you've ever said to me led me to realize this, to realize that all you've even been was real with me because you cared and still do. And, I owe it to myself and to you to be the same...straight forward, no jokes, no avoiding the truth or pushing shit away just because I'm afraid to deal. So, I'm just going to say it ok?" I explain nervously and he nods, swallowing harshly as he looks at me expectantly.

Not able to hold back anymore, I break out into a large smile, my actions confusing him.

"I just want you to know that...somewhere along the way of us knowing each other and driving each other crazy, I've managed to genuinely care about you. In fact, as much as I was against us ever getting close at the start, I'm glad we did eventually. If you had given up on me and didn't stick around, I wouldn't have been able to be here with you right now or tell you that I actually love you even though you really do get on my nerves sometimes. The crazy thing is, what scared me the most, was how easy the idea of loving you seemed to be. After spending so much time avoiding people and protecting my emotions, you came along and changed everything..."

My words are cut short when Justin leans down and presses his lips to mine briefly before he pulls away.

His blues connect to my gray-browns as he gives me a light squeeze from where he's holding me.

I inhale deeply because I really just spilled all those words out in one breath.

"Sorry, you were rambling." He shrugs and I smile shyly. "So, you love me." He states in a whisper, his voice shaky. "Like, for real...no bullshitting."

"Yes Justin, I love you. It didn't take me long to figure out once I decided to sort out my feelings. I guess I didn't address my feelings sooner because I was afraid of what I might find out." I smile.

"Are you afraid now?" He inquires, his expression serious.

"Who wouldn't be when openly loving someone makes you vulnerable?" I point out.

"I know..." He trails, his blues darting around before they're back on me. "I'm scared shitless." He admits softly.

"We'll be ok." I assure him and he nods, still staring at me, but that's the only response I receive from him.

"I should maybe return the favor and ask why."

"Why what? Why do I love you?" I inquire with arched brows, quoting him, and that's when he finally breaks out into a large grin. He's doing this on purpose, to tease me.

"Uh huh...finally came to your senses." He murmurs jokingly and I giggle contently.

It's funny but this is probably the first time since I've known him that I can't fully distinguish what he's possibly thinking and feeling. Usually, he gives me enough to interpret what emotion he's trying to get across but now, even with him smiling, I'm not sure what's really going on with him in the feelings department.

"Well, because Justin, why not?"  I voice smartly and he chuckles.

"I had a feeling you'd say that."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: privateschool school justin