Over Two Weeks Later

At the Airport in Boston

July...

 

22. Confession Time [Part 1]

 

"This is such a bad idea." I mutter, standing awkwardly in the waiting section of the airport for flight arrivals.

"Cheer up Lili. Obviously the guy cares else he wouldn't have taken out of his time to come see you like this."

I turn towards my brother, my eyes narrowing in contempt as I glare at him.

"Can't you agree with me for once Marco?" I snap and he shrugs uncaringly.

"You don't leave me much of a choice Delilah. And, I think you need to cut Justin some slack. I mean, the guy's a freaking celebrity. He doesn't have to do any of the things he's doing for you."

"Don't remind me." I growl, ignoring my brother's admonishment.

"What's wrong with you Lili? You know, you never use to be like this. You were always bubbly, always positive..." But I stop him before he can continue.

"People change." I snap while folding my arms across my chest and gazing at the many different people walking up and down the airport terminal.

"No shit sis. You didn't change by choice though. You let people like Ethan Landing change you. Sometimes, I wish you were stronger than this...it sure as hell would lessen my worrying." Marco sighs, looking away from me as he stuffs his hands into his jeans pockets.

I cast my vision in his direction again, my gaze softening when I see him grimace.

I pout lightly, knowing that he's right, but not wanting to listen to his reasoning.

Justin coming to visit me at home shouldn't be a bad thing yet I can't shake the feeling that there is some urgency on Justin's end as to why he's doing this. I should still be exited that he flew across the country just to see me but I'm not. If anything, I'm worried and a little nervous, maybe a little anxious.

I'm not sure what to expect. I don't know what's going on with him or if he'll still be the same Justin I left over two weeks ago. I mean, he's coming from his home to mine. Who is to say that in those few weeks he wasn't sucked back into the lifestyle he was used to before he came to Higher Heights?

I can't be certain. But, I should probably apologize to Marco. I shouldn't be passing out my frustrations on my brother like this. He's always been there for me and he doesn't deserve my bitchiness.

"Marco I..." but I'm interrupted, the rest of my words dissolving in my throat when I hear some type of uproar in the near distance and getting closer. "What's that?" I question as I scan our surroundings frantically, looking for the source of the noise in this godforsaken airport.

"No idea; sounds like it's coming from the direction of one of the gates that's letting out new arrivals." Marco explains.

The moment he completes his statement my eyes widen in horror when I see what looks like a swarm of media people heading in our direction. There are flashes going off in every direction threatening to blind us as I squint to see what the commotion is about.

It doesn't take long for me to realize what's going on though as the mass of bodies approach us.

"Justin!"

"Justin over here!"

"Justin smile! Why the long face!?"

"Justin, what brings you to Boston?"

"Where can we expect to see you while you're here?"

"Are you doing any public events or appearances?"

"What about Higher Heights Justin?"

That's when I see him; he breaks through the crowd with a rather large, dark man at his side who clears the way with a few brushes or more shoves.

"Fucking paps." Justin grumbles lowly, his black hoodie pulled tightly over his black fitted hat.

When he lifts his head in Marco and my direction, his steps falter and he quickly removes his dark sunglasses.

His blues crash into my gray-browns for a few seconds. He has an apologetic stare on his face before he quickly replaces his sunglasses over his eyes and walks right by us with the paparazzi hot on his trail.

I watch in awe as Justin disappears down the busy terminal with the crowd on his heels.

A deep scowl forms on my face when I turn to look at Marco who gives me a confused look.

"I guess picking Justin up at the airport wasn't the best idea?" Marco voices jokingly and I cringe

"I think he just saved us from having our photos plastered all over the tabloids. No one knows we were here waiting for him." I reason before gripping my brother by the arm so we can leave.

"Hmm, we should thank him then for ignoring us and passing us straight like we haven't been here waiting for him the past half hour." Marco jokes but I ignore him as we silently make our way out to the parking section of the airport.

"You're right. Imagine the chaos that would have ensued if Justin stopped and acknowledged us." I voice sarcastically.

"Behave Lili. You know he didn't do it to spite us. But how did anyone even know he was going to be here?"

"I don't know Marco. I just want to get home before mom and dad." I mutter, replaying the small scene we witnessed a moment ago in my mind.

That was...slightly shocking for me to witness. Is this how Justin's life is in California? Or more importantly, is this his life on a regular? Because if it is, I don't know if I want to be a part of that crazy life. Oh my god, Michelle and Sandra weren't over exaggerating. He really is a humongous deal. He really is this huge celebrity women and men fuss over. I mean, I never really did follow his career but now, now I'm thinking I need to pull myself out of the dark and really pay attention to what I'm dealing with here.

As much as I'd love for Justin to only be preppy J whom I love being around even when he annoys me to death, he's not. He's so much more than that...it's a little terrifying, maybe even intimidating.

There's this other side of him that I don't know. And I'll admit, I'm a little nervous to learn about him but, it doesn't look like I have a choice now.

 

As Marco and I get into his white jeep and buckle up, I jump when I hear banging on the back window.

I whip around in my seat and notice Justin standing outside void his sunglasses, his eyes darting around wildly before they meet mine and he signals for us to open up. Do I even want to know how he found us?

Marco chuckles before unlocking the back doors so he can jump inside.

"Thanks." Justin mutters as he slides in and shuts the door behind him.

I look around the parking area, not seeing the crowd who was stalking him earlier.

"How'd you get away from that crowd?" I ask in curiosity.

"Let's just say Mike my bodyguard is a genius." Justin beams from the backseat.

"And your luggage?" Marco inquires.

"Oh, uh don't worry about it. Mike will drop it off later. I gave him you guys address. I hope that's ok. I didn't want those people following me anymore. Can't figure out how they even knew I'd be here but..." Justin shrugs and Marco nods in understanding before starting up the ride and pulling out of the airport's parking area.

"Must be crazy being you then." Marco decides and Justin releases a low whistle.

"You have no idea dude. Not like I didn't know the consequences of my chosen career, but sometimes, it gets to be a bit much. Oh and sorry about earlier. The last thing I wanted was to pull you guys into this madness."

"Oh no it's ok. Marco and I were totally fine being ignored and brushed off like we weren't standing there for the past half hour waiting on you." I snap coldly, keeping my vision cast forward.

"Lili!" Marco warns while switching lanes. "You know Justin didn't have much of a choice, unless you wanted to see your face plastered everywhere like you stated."

"No, it's ok Marco, Lilah's right." Justin says quietly in the backseat. "I should have done more to avoid something like this from happening. I'm sorry." Justin voices solemnly before silence falls over us.

"Well, the important thing is you made it here in one piece." I finally speak up, not wanting to be upset. It really wasn't his fault. Gosh my mood is all over the place today and it's not even that time of the month.

"And on a lighter note, welcome to Boston, or welcome back, since I'm sure you've been here before Justin." Marco quips and Justin laughs lightly in response.

I take a chance and decide to look at Justin through the rearview mirror just in time to catch his eye. He stares at me for a brief moment and then looks away and out the window.

Sighing, I fidget with my nails, remaining quiet for the rest of our ride home...

 

 

**

Later

At The Marshall's Residence

Boston, MA

 

 

"Tell us more about what it's like being a fashion designer Justin."

This is insane. My mom is absolutely smitten with Justin. From the moment she and dad walked through the front door and saw him sitting on the couch chatting with Marco, they totally bum rushed him.

That was hours ago. I think between mom and dad, they've managed to ask Justin every question possibly known to man about his life, career, relationships and family.

I don't know how much more of this I can take. I'm about ready to scream.

Not to mention the fact that they couldn't stop thanking him for being there for me and for the fact that he and I are friends. It was all very embarrassing.

Oh and I think my mom developed this crush on Justin after learning he was a fashion designer with his own clothing line. She's big on fashion and designer clothes so talking to him is like heaven for her.

Oh god, kill me now.

"Well Mrs. Marshall, don't you think it would be better if you got a chance to experience what it's like for yourself instead of me telling you? I'm sure witnessing what a day is like at William Rast would do more justice." Justin coos, smiling brightly.

My eyes widen in shock when I process his statement. Did he just...he didn't just...

"Are you inviting me out to William Rast in California Justin? Because if you are, I accept!" My mom squeals with excitement, causing dad to laugh deeply.

Oh no. No, no, no, no...

"Yes, if you'll come, my best friend Trace and I would love to show you around the company." Justin voices and what the fuck is he doing!?

"Uh mom he's joking." I cut in causing Justin to glare at me strangely.

"I assure you Mrs. Marshall, I'm not. It would be fun." Justin says, keeping his vision on me. "Unless..."

"Then it's a date." My mom chimes in and I huff before standing.

"May I be excused?" I say rather loudly and rudely.

"Delilah..." Dad begins. "Are you ok sweetie?"

"I'm fine dad. May I please be excused?" I ask again.

"Yes well, sure hunny, but do us a favor and show Justin to one of the guest bedrooms." My dad voices while looking at his watch. "Your mom and I need to get ready to head out. I almost forgot. We have a business dinner meeting in a few minutes...Linda?" Dad utters and I watch as my mom's attention sways from Justin to my dad.

She gives dad a look before relenting and standing with him. "Yes, duty calls. The real-estate business waits for no one. Can't put off with the clients." Mom explains and I roll my eyes slightly.

I swear, my parents are workaholics.

"Ok well Delilah, Marco is heading out with his friends and Linda and I will most likely be late tonight so don't wait up. At least, Justin can keep you company yes? We'll catch up in the morning." Dad voices while coming over to give me a quick hug.

"Fine dad." I mutter before telling my parents bye.

"Justin, it was a pleasure talking to you. We'll catch up tomorrow." Dad states and Justin stands quickly to give him a handshake.

"Of course sir. You and the misses take care." Justin smiles gingerly and my parents do the same before they quietly make their exit.

I stare at the closed door long after they've pulled out of the driveway and sigh.

Great, this is great. I'm going to be home alone with Justin in my house. What part of this seems so very wrong?

I turn to face Justin but before I can get a word in, Marco sails right by us muttering a quick ‘goodnight' before he's on his cell and out the front door leaving Justin and me alone for real this time.

I gaze around mindlessly, trying to get myself or more my thoughts together.

What's really wrong with me? Why am I behaving like such a bitch?

 

"So I get that you're not exactly thrilled to see me for some reason or other..." Justin says cautiously, his voice lower than normal.

Groaning, I whip around to face him and bite down on my lip when I see the confused maybe even hurt expression on his face.

"Did I do something wrong Lilah?" He asks but all I can do is stare at him, taking in his smooth shaven baby face, his short brown curls and pink luscious lips.

I swallow hard, shaking my head lightly.

"No, I'm sorry I've just been having a weird day." I admit.

Honestly, I have no idea why I'm like this. I think it's because I'm so anxious, so nervous.

I'm out of my comfort zone...because, Justin's here. It's one thing being around him at Higher Heights. But having him here at my home is just so...so different, so personal. It's overwhelming and, I don't do well with emotions.

"Are you sure?" Justin asks, not believing me. "Because what happened at the airport today really wasn't my fault but..."

"It's fine Justin. Shut up." I snap and he shrugs.

Just then the doorbell rings.

"Oh that must be Mike." Justin voices before leaving me and heading straight for the door. He unbolts the locks and swings it open without a second thought.

My eyes widen and I quickly rush to his side just in time to see him hauling in two suitcases.

"Thanks Mike. I'll call you if I need anything." Justin states and I remain quiet, watching the two interact.

"Miss." Mike says ‘hi' to me and I wave shyly at him before he bids Justin farewell. He's kind of scary to me but it must be because of his size considering he's Justin's bodyguard and all.

When he's gone, I shut and lock the door then gaze down at Justin's luggage.

"Uh, Justin?" I question, gazing up at him.

"Hmm?" He smiles coyly.

"Exactly how long are you going to be here?" I ask, not sure if I want to know the answer.

"Not long, a few days, maybe a week tops." He states. "There is this Red Sox and Yankees game I was hoping to catch while I'm here." He admits and I nod silently, still eyeing his tall frame.

"Gosh, where are my manners? I really am sorry Justin. I didn't exactly give you the best welcome huh?"

"Eh, it is what it is." He shrugs dismissively about to grab his luggage but I stop him by gripping his hand and forcing him to face me completely. "Lilah, it's ok, really." He utters softly, but I shake my head in protest.

"No, you're like my best friend now Justin. I know I'm not your best friend but you're mine and I'm sorry. I missed you. I did." I coo with a pout.

Before he can say anything else, I engulf him in a tight hug by stretching up to wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him down and against me.

He hesitates before relaxing against me and slowly wrapping his strong arms around my waist. I smile softly when I hear him sigh and his hold on me tightens as he dips his head.

"I've missed you too Lilah. And, you're my best friend too, I promise." He whispers before we pull away from each other.

"But Trace..."

"He's my guy best friend and you're my girl best friend. I'm allowed to have more than one best friend." Justin jokes and I giggle.

"And Rachel?" I question.

"Rachel doesn't count. She's my cousin. She's more like my annoying sister." Justin voices seriously and I laugh loudly at that.

"Ok."

"Uh huh. So, can you show me to my room now? I'd really love a shower." Justin grins and I shake my head at him.

"I was wondering what that smell was." I muse.

"Cute Lilah. Cute." Justin grunts and I snicker in return as I help him with his luggage up the stairs to one of the guest bedrooms.

 

**

Sometime later

In Lilah's Room

 

After I gave Justin the tour of upstairs and showed him to his room, I decided to head to my room and grab a shower as well. Considering we're stuck together alone tonight, I figured I'd maybe turn in early.

No such luck though because there's a knock on my door.

Fixing my blue Pj's, I shake my head with a smile since I know it's Justin knocking.

"It's open!" I voice before folding some of the clothes on my bed to put away.

"Are you decent?"

"Come in Justin." I laugh softly.

I turn and smile as he enters shyly, his blues wide and scanning their surroundings as I pack some clothes away in my dresser.

"Nice room, although, I'm a little ‘creeped' out by all the red." He admits and I smile.

"It's one of my favorite colors." I divulge and he nods.

"Noted. So this is nice, you know, me, here with you, in Boston..." And I cut him off.

"About that..." I begin, giving him my full attention. "Why are you here Justin, really? And don't give me some lame excuse. The truth on your first try." I demand and he sighs heavily, looking away from me.

I thought I was the only one having an off day, but looking at him now, he's not exactly the Justin I remember...almost, but not quite.

He looks exceptional though in his grey wife beater and long cotton slacks. His hair has a shine to it obviously because he's fresh out of the shower but even with all of that, he's different.

"I wanted to see you again?" He voices and I roll my eyes.

"It's only been a few weeks." I admit. "You missed me that much huh?" I tease him but he doesn't laugh. He doesn't even crack a smile. He just stands there and glares at me. Ok, weird.

"I'm serious Lilah. I missed you yes, but I also didn't like the fact of only getting to talk to you over the phone."

"Um, ok we've established that. But even that's not enough to get you on a plane out here so what's really going on Justin?"

"I had a fight with my so-called girlfriend." He shakes his head as he says this and I feel my chest warm at the word girlfriend.

"You mean your ex-girlfriend?" I correct him but he mouth's ‘no.'

"To me she is but she insists that we're still together, that she won't give me up without a fight. To which I told her ‘good luck with that.'" He shrugs and I nod, not really following.

"Jessica Biel, the actress right?"

"Did your homework I see." Justin smiles pathetically. "Jess, she isn't all bad but she is a handful and very dramatic sometimes. I don't know Lilah. I'm trying to..."

"Trying to what exactly?" I interrupt him with a frown. "Why are you here Justin?"

"Would you let me finish? I'm trying to...I'm trying to...god I don't fucking know anymore." Justin grunts, swiping his fingers through his hair. "It all made perfect sense before I got here. Deal with my shit, get on the fucking plane, come out here to see you, tell you what I've been trying to for some time now in person instead of over the phone. Then I get here, and I see you, and my entire plan is shot to shit. And now, I'm having doubts. I don't see why, but I am and it's totally fucking with me."

Wow, talk about an outburst.

"O-k, I have no idea what you just said." I give Justin a small smile before pulling my hair into one and tying it, allowing a few tendrils to fall around my face.

"Do you even care that I'm freaking out here Lilah?" Justin asks in disbelief.

"No, not really." I shrug before tying the string of my blue pajama pants.

"You're kidding."

"Yes Justin! Yes! Look, I don't know what's going on, but maybe you shouldn't have come here. I knew this was a bad idea." I hiss.

"But Lilah I..."

"No Justin! You can't tell me why you're here, but you are and this is so off. You're not acting like yourself and there's obviously tension between us..."

"Don't you care to know why?" Justin snaps, walking over to me and gripping my shoulders.

"No, I think I'd simply like you to leave so I can sleep and get this day over with."

"Goddamn it Delilah!" Justin shouts and I gasp.

"You just called me Delilah." I say in shock.

"That is your name." Justin stares at me like I'm crazy but he doesn't get it.

"You never call me Delilah Justin..." I inhale deeply, my mind spinning with endless thoughts. What's happening here? "You should go."

"No, no Lilah I'm sorry, I don't know why, but I am. Just listen to me please. I promise you, there's a very good reason why I came out here to see you but telling you is...well, it's kind of hard."

"It shouldn't be." I state, fully annoyed with him now. "I don't get you Justin. You make everything ten times harder than it has to be. Ok, so you're here now in person. Whatever you have to say, spit it out! I'm so irritated with you! Just, let me go!" I try to brush him away but his hold on me tightens. "Let me go Justin!" I growl but he ignores me.

"Would you chill out Lilah?! I'm trying to..."

"You're trying to what Justin?!" I scream while I struggle in his hold. I push at his chest so he can let me go but he doesn't budge. Great, we're fighting. "Let me go!"

"For fuck's sake Lilah! I'm trying to tell you that I'm falling in love you, you stupid, stupid girl!" Justin rambles out in fury, shaking me violently in the process. "But you won't shut up long enough for me to think! Damn it! You make me so crazy sometimes!" He belts and I freeze solid, my throat tightening as I replay his words in my mind over and over again.

"What?" I gasp.

"What? What...I said that I'm..." And just like that he drifts, his blues wild as his breath comes in pants when he realizes what he's done. "I said, I said..."

"You love me?" I query with a scowl. I need to make sure that I heard him correctly because this is huge, this is... "And you called me a stupid girl." I add in, noting the panic on Justin's face. "Say something Justin!"

"I couldn't find the right way to tell you. I played this out over and over in my head and no way seemed right and then you kept pressuring me and I totally just snapped!" He rants. "Lilah, the last thing I want is to scare you away, hurt you or to give you a reason to not trust me but I..."

"You love me?"

I sound like a broken record, but can you blame me? I'm in shock. No, I think I'm traumatized. I mean, Justin, loves me? Say what now?

"Shit Lilah..." Justin sighs, finally releasing his hold on me. "Yes, yes, I can't take it anymore. I'm in love with you. I'm desperately, undoubtedly in love with you to the point where you drive me crazy. There, I said it. And, I get if you don't feel the same way because let's be real, you're you." Justin confesses, lifting his hands in the air and then dropping them at his sides in defeat. "And I'm so sick and tired of playing these games with you. And all this drama you have at Higher Heights because of Ethan, I'm sick of it too and I swear that next time, I will send the bastard to the hospital or do whatever it takes for him to leave you alone for good." Justin explains.

I blink slowly, still paralyzed in shock as I glare at him. "But why Justin?"

"Why what?" He asks skeptically.

"Why do you..."

"Why do I love you?" He inquires boldly and I nod dumbly. "Because Lilah..." He says breathlessly. "Why not? I know what you think of yourself and you're maybe thinking that I shouldn't care but, I do. I did from day one. I asked myself the same question and ended up switching my line of questioning to what's there not to love? I know it's clichéd but it's you and, you really need to stop thinking so little of yourself. Look at it this way...if you're worth fighting for, then you're definitely worth loving Lilah."

He holds my gaze, his blues pleading with me to understand, to try and make sense of this situation he so willingly put us in.

I expected anything else from him but not this, nothing like this.

What do I even say in response to that? Oh I love you too Justin? Really? No. Because I'm not even sure how I feel about him. I'm only now coming to terms with the fact that we're really, truly friends and then he sprouts this love thing on me and now I'm confused all over again and...

"But your girlfriend..." I say lamely and Justin lets out a deep groan in response.

"She's not my girlfriend Lilah. I don't...I don't want her. I mean, I care about Jess but...god, I want you Lilah, not her, or anyone else. Just you." Justin whispers, closing the small gap between us.

"Are you sure Justin? I mean, think about what you're saying here. I'm a mess." I cave, smiling weakly.

I'm so tired. I'm tired of everything. I'm tired of my chaotic life at Higher Heights, of my dramatic family and most importantly, I'm tired of fighting. I'm tired of fighting my emotions and I'm tired of fighting Justin and always finding ways to keep him at a distance because of my own fears and insecurities. I'm just tired...

"Lilah." Justin voices, gripping my chin and forcing me to look at him. "I've never been surer of anything in my life. And you can quote me on that." He chuckles weakly. "Besides, I happen to think we work well together. But, only if you'll let me in for real this time. Only if you'll have me. I'm not going to fight you on it. But, I couldn't keep my feelings in any longer. They were slowly ripping me apart. I'm sorry I needed to let them out..."

"Justin." I warn.

"Hmm?"

"Shut up." I demand and his lips curve into a large smile.

"Ok." He hums.

"Look, I can't say it back." I blurt out. "It's not that I don't want to. I simply want to mean it when I say it. I mean, you dropped that on me unexpectedly and I haven't taken any time out to sort out my feelings and, I don't do well with emotions but that doesn't mean I don't care. I care so much. That doesn't mean I couldn't feel the same way. It only means that..."

"I get it Lilah. I wasn't exactly holding my breath on you saying you love me back." He utters with arched brows.

"Hey!"

"What? This isn't some fairytale story Lilah, come on. I'm not delusional."

"Hey!" I say in offence, causing Justin to chuckle. "I resent that!"

"It's ok, really. I'm just glad to have it off my chest. Now would you shut up so I can kiss you?" Justin orders, cupping my cheeks in his palms.

"On one condition." I breathe heavily, a light giggle escaping me as he dips his head and his lips stop a few centimeters from mine.

"What?" He questions, his warm breath sending shivers through my body as his blues hold onto my gray-browns.

"Promise me you won't stop at just a kiss." I request timidly, my cheeks warming with a blush. Oh my god what am I saying?

He hesitates for a few seconds, his orbs searching mine as his breath deepens.

I can feel my heart pounding in my chest as I lift my hands to grip unto him to balance myself since my head is spinning.

But I don't care anymore. I want him. "Promise that..." I swallow harshly. "Promise that you'll show me exactly how you feel." I say more boldly this time.

It seems like an eternity before he finally answers, but when he does, every single tense muscle in my body completely relaxes.

"I promise." Justin whispers with a light nod. "As long as you promise me you won't run away."

"Ok...I promise." I reply and that's all it takes before I feel his lips against mine in a deep kiss that takes my breath away.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: privateschool school justin