"Kara, I think we have a problem."  Nicole told her best friend over the phone after walking into her apartment a week later.  After going to church and having lunch with her father like she did every Sunday, she had to run to the mall to find a birthday gift for one of her cousins, go grocery shopping, back to her apartment to put them away, and then run a couple more errands for her class.  Falling on top of her couch, she rubbed her face with her other free hand and let out a small groan.  Her mind was confused and mixed with feelings ever since going over to Chris's house in the middle of the night last week.

"We?  About what?"  Kara asked.

Nicole took a deep breath and let it out gradually.  She closed her eyes before confessing to her friend.  "I think I'm falling for him."

"Who?"

"Chris."  Nicole responded.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and bit on it.  She opened her eyes when she didn't hear her friend respond on the other end.  "Kara?"

"Kirkpatrick?"

"Yeah."  Nicole drawled out.  Baffled on why her friend asked her that question.  "Who else would it be?"

"I knew it!"  Kara exclaimed.  Nicole rolled her eyes with her friends' glee.  "I fucking knew it!  I told you, Nicole.  I damn as hell told you that this would happen."

"Shut up."  Nicole hissed into the phone.  She pinched the bridge of her nose with her index finger and thumb.  "Shut up."

"I told you!  I told you!  I told you!"  Kara chanted over the phone.  Nicole wished her friend was in the same room so she could smack her.  "When did you realize this?"

Nicole shrugged her shoulders even though Kara couldn't see her.  When did I?  Nicole asked herself.  Sure she been thinking how good looking he was lately, maybe she flirted with him once in a while but it was always harmless.  Or, what is?

"Nicole?"

Nicole shook her head when her friend voice pulled her out of thoughs.  "Huh?"

"I asked when you did you finally realized that you liked him more than a friend?"

"I-I..."  Nicole liked her lips.  "I dunno; maybe couple weeks ago?  A week ago?" Nicole groaned and rubbed her forehead.  "I've been thinking that I wasn't and just ignoring the feelings but I couldn't when I was over at his house last week."

"The three AM booty call?"  Kara teased.

"It was not a booty call!"  Nicole exclaimed, annoyed.

"I know I know.  I'm just pulling your leg.  What happen that made you realized that your best friend was right, and that you didn't tell me?"  Kara asked.  "Which might I add; I'm going to have to kill you for not telling me.  What the hell?!"

Nicole ignored her friends' threats and explained how after getting a kiss on the forehead, cheek or brushed his skin against hers that night; she would get butterflies and flustered.  Soon the butterflies appeared back in her stomach as she recalled that night.

"Mhm..."  Kara mused after Nicole finished telling the story.  "So, what now?"

"What?"  Nicole rolled onto her stomach and buried her face into the pillow on her couch.  How do I get myself into these kinds of messes?

"What are you going to do about this?  You're going to tell him, right?"

"Are you serious?!  And take a chance on ruining our friendship?  I think not!"  Nicole responded, her voice muffled by the pillow.

"What?  I didn't understand you."

Sighing, Nicole rolled onto her back and pushed the pillow under her head.  "Sorry.  I said are you serious?  And take a chance of ruining our friendship?  I don't think so.  It's not worth it."

"Life is full of taking risks, Nicole."  Nicole rolled her eyes over her friend's choice of words.  "And don't roll your eyes at me.  Not every guy is going to be like Tom."

"Sometimes I hate that you know me way to well." Nicole grumbled into the phone.  She made a face when she heard Kara sigh over the phone.

"Suck it up.  Hold on."  Nicole closed her eyes.  She heard Kara mumbling and moving around on the other end.  Looking at the clock, she winced after reading that it was after nine at night.  As if on cue, her stomach growled.  Sighing, she pulled her body off the couch and dragged herself to the kitchen.  Pulling out bread, she pulled out the rest of the ingredients she would need for a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.  She held her phone between her ear and shoulder while spreading the Jelly on one side of the bread.

"Sorry.  Taylor came home so I moved outside so we could have more privacy.  I told him it was girl talk so he won't bother us."

"It's okay."  Nicole switched her phone to other ear after spreading the Peanut Butter on the other slice bread and putting it together.  "I'm just making a PB&J sandwich for myself."  After completing her sandwich, she placed the knife in the dishwasher and put the jar of Peanut Butter and Jelly away.  She poured herself a glass of milk and sat down at the kitchen table.

"That's it?  That isn't really a healthy dinner, Nic."

"I know, mother."  She said mockingly.  Nicole took a bite of her sandwich and wiped her mouth with her napkin.  "I'm so worn out from today I could care less.  All my body wants is some food and some rest."

"And some Christopher Kirkpatrick."  Kara mumbled under her breath over the phone.  Nicole's eyes widen and dropped her sandwich back on the plate.

"I heard that Kara!"  Nicole exclaimed and dropped her hand on her lap.  "Knock it off and help me out here."

"Alright alright," Kara laughed, "Well I gave you my two cents already."

Nicole swallowed what she had in her mouth and drank her glass of milk.  "I want another two cents."

"That would make four cents."  Kara joked.

"I know what two plus two equals Kara."  Nicole rolled her eyes in irritation and threw her paper plate in the garbage after she finished her sandwich.  "Stop being a nuisance.  How the hell does Taylor live with you and not want to strangle you?"

"He probably has had those thoughts many times, as I have had with him.  Hell, right now I want to strangle you with your stubbornness.  I told you Nic, tell him."

"Easy for you to say."  Nicole mumbled incoherently into the phone.  Setting her empty glass in the dishwasher, she walked toward her bedroom and collapsed onto her bed.

"Will you stop mumbling?  I can't understand you."

"Nothing."  Nicole waved it off and rolled onto her side.  "And how do I start this off?  Oh yeah, hey I know millions of girls are throwing themselves at your feet and you can get anyone you want but I like you."

"Not like that, you snot."  Nicole started to pick at the invisible string off her bedspread once she heard Kara sigh loudly.  "Don't make me drive over to your place and slap you.  I will."

Nicole flopped onto her back after Kara's warning.  "Sorry."  Nicole apologized softly.  "It's just....I dunno.  What if it screws up our friendship?  It isn't worth it if that happens.  He is my only best guy friend I have, besides Taylor, well Taylor is more of a brother than a best friend, but anyways-"

"Nic,"

Nicole continued as if Kara didn't say anything.  "Yeah I have a couple of guy friends, but not like, a best guy friend.  I wouldn't consider Justin, JC, Joey and Lance best friends.  We're just good friends.  And this isn't just about me, but him also.  He is getting over a big break up; he isn't ready for any kind of commitment."

"Nicole-"

"And not only that, but-"

"Nicole Branna McGinnis!  Will you stop rambling, my God.  Breathe."

Nicole took a deep breath and closed her eyes.  She opened her mouth to say something but closed it when she was cut off by Kara.

"First of all, calm the hell down, my God.  Like I said before; life is full of risks.  If you don't do anything about it you are going to sit back on this and wonder what if?  You'll see him with another girl and you will fill up with jealously and think about how it would be if it was you."  Nicole opened her mouth to protest.  "Close your mouth, Nicole and listen to me."

"But..." 

"I said close your mouth.  As I was say, stop thinking of all the negatives in that pretty little head of yours.  I know that the friendship isn't the only reason that is holding you back."

"Huh?"  She inquired.

Kara sighed heavily into the phone.  "I know Tom is part of what is holding you back."

Nicole gritted her teeth and silently said a curse under her breath.  "Why do you have to know me so well..."

"Because you had no one else to talk to in school.  So being the nice person I am, I felt horrible and little did I know," Nicole bit on her bottom lip to hold back the laughter that wanted to come out.  "You would stick to me like white on rice."

"That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard!"  Nicole laughed over her friends' stupid analogy.

"Yeah, but it got you to laugh which is all that matters....So, about this situation with a famous hunky pop star...."

 

~~~~~~

Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you
Over again
Don't make me change my mind
Or I won't live to see another day
I swear it's true
Because a girl like you is impossible to find


Nicole picked up her glass and took a sip, letting the cool liquid of her drink slide down her throat.  She fanned herself with her hand to try to cool herself down from the heat of the club Friday night.  Her eyes watched while her best friend, Kara, and her fiancé, Taylor, danced on the clubs floor.  It had been five days since she confessed to Kara about her feelings for Chris and surprisingly, Kara had bugged her about it too much.  She loved Kara to death, but she always made a big deal over everything. 

After dancing for the past couple songs with her friends, Nicole excused herself and made her way toward the bar to get a drink.  Her eyes scanned around the club and winced when the bright lights were aimed in her eyes for a few seconds.  Nicole rolled her eyes and tried to contain a laugh when the song "Baby Got Back" started to pump threw the speakers.

"This song is ridiculous."  Nicole said to no one specifically and took another sip of her Long Island Ice-Tea.

"You know what is ridiculous?"  Nicole rolled her eyes when she heard a male voice ask her from behind.  What lame-ass line am I going to hear now?  Nicole took another sip of her drink as the voice continued to talk behind her.  "That such a pretty girl like you is all alone."

Nicole turned on her heels to tell the guy behind her she was taken.  Her jaw dropped when she recognized the guy that was standing behind her with a smirk on his lips.

"Chris?"  Nicole asked, dumbfounded that he was there.  Her eyes drank in the sight of him in a black button down shirt while his jeans hung on his hips.  Chris rolled his sleeves up to his elbows and smiled at her.

"That's the name that my momma gave me."  Chris said after pulling her into a hug, his brown eyes sparkling.  "Didn't know I would see you here."

"Kara, Taylor and I decided to go out."  Nicole felt like melting into the floor as his eyes connected once more with hers and smiled.  "You did you come with?"

"Joey."  Chris nodded his head toward the dance floor.  "He's out there."

"So are Taylor and Kara."

"And why are you not out there making men drool?"  Chris asked as his eyes went back to hers.

Nicole rolled her eyes and placed her empty glass on the bar table beside her.  "I needed a drink."

"Want to dance?"  He asked her over the music.  After receiving a nod, he reached for Nicole's hand and made his way through the crowd of people.  After making his way onto the dance floor and finding a spot, he turned around and looked at her.  The way she looked in the green dress, bringing out her green eyes, made his heart race.

He watched as she turned around before him and had her back against him, swaying her hips to the beat as she danced.  He put his hands on her hips as they dance together.  He lost the ability to breathe; it was pushed out of his thoughts by the way she danced against him.  He knew that Nicole was a great dancer, but the way she was moving made his knees weak and his body to go crazy inside.  He was hypnotized by her.

Snapping his head up, he opened his eyes and fixed them straight on the owner of the one who was making him crazy.  Nicole smiled as she placed her hands on his chest and grind against one of his legs.  His hands slowly moved down her sides as he bit his lower lip. When his fingers closed around her waist, he pulled her closer to him while they continued to dance together.

Nicole felt a chill run down her spine when her body was pressed up against his.  Looking up, her green eyes connected with his brown ones.  Slowly, she moved her hands from his chest and wrapped them around his neck, linking her fingers together behind his neck.  She felt her insides trembling and her knees weakening by the sight of the adorable grin on his face.  She had always been a sucker for brown eyes and a good smile.

They both forgot about the other people in the club while they continued to stare into each other's eyes, dancing, lost in their own world.  Chris licked his lips.  Nicole's eyes watched his tongues movement and wondering how he tasted.

Chris eyes darted to her lips than back to her eyes while the same thought ran through his mind.  Taking a breath, he swallowed the lump in his throat.  He didn't care if anyone saw what he was going to do next.  He wanted to kiss her.

Nicole's heart fluttered madly when she saw his head lowed a bit.  Tilting her head slightly, she raised her head and couldn't wait for the contact she was craving for.  She felt his breath brush against her lips and she knew it was about to happen.

"Nicole!"

Chris and Nicole both jerked their heads back in surprise.  Chris looked over Nicole's head and rolled his eyes when he saw Joey standing there.  I'm going to kill him.

Nicole felt her face get warm.  She moved her arms from around Chris's shoulders and turned around to see who called her name.  The warmth of Chris's arms disappeared when he pulled them away from her.  Nicole forced a smile on her face to try and put her arms out to embrace Joey.

"Hey Joe."

"I didn't know you were going to be here, girl!"  Joey took a step back and eyed her up and down.  "What were you doing on hogging this hot thing all night, Chris?!"

"I didn't know she was here either until a bit ago."  Chris shoved his hands in his pockets and tried to hide the disappointment in his face.  Maybe it's for the best that it didn't happen.  He told himself.

Nicole laughed when Joey pulled her towards him and started dancing.  Chris rested his hand on her back and leaned toward her ear.  "Come with Joey to the VIP room when you guys are done." Nicole looked at him and nodded her head.  He smiled at her, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek before making his way through the crowd and towards the VIP area.

After giving the guy at the door a short nod, he walked up the stairs and sat down in one of the booths.  Signaling the waiter for another beer, he sat back and let his eyes roam around the dance floor.  Thanking the waiter, he took a big sip of his beer and looked back on the dance floor.  He watched while Joey twirled Nicole in circles; Nicole tilting her head back as she laughed over Joey's crazy moves.

He watched as Nicole pulled her hair up off the back of her neck with her hands and continued to dance with Joey.  Closing his eyes, he pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned over.  He let his hand holding his cold beer bottle dangling between his legs while positioning his elbow on his knee.  I almost kissed her.  Chris shook his head and rubbed the bridge of his nose while the scene played over in his head.  Did she know I was going to?  Did she want it?  Chris sighed to himself while questions flooded in his mind.  I really need to have that talk with Jace before I fuck something up.  I'm going crazy.

Taking another sip, he jerked his heard toward where he heard Nicole's laughter float over the music.  It was music to his ears.  Behind her, Joey, Kara and Taylor came into view, all of them laughing.  Chris raised a brow in question and watched while Nicole sat down and scooted over toward him.

"What is so funny?"  He asked while glancing at Nicole.

Nicole pointed her finger at Joey as she continued to giggle.  "Joey tried to be slick and failed."  She took a deep breath before giggling again.  "He fell going up the stairs."

"I did not fall."  Joey rolled his eyes and sat down.

"Than what, the stairs tried to knock you down?"  Kara asked in between laughter.

"Yep."  Joey chuckled with a nod.

Nicole leaned over and cupped her hand over Chris's ear.  "He was trying to show off for some girls."

Chris chuckled and sat his beer bottle on the table in front of him.  "Nice Joe."  Chris nodded his head towards Kara and Taylor.  "Hey Taylor," Chris smirked after he looked at Kara.  "Am I going be carrying you out again tonight?"

Kara rolled her eyes and flicked him off while everyone around the table laughed.  "No you won't you ass.  We are all sober and will be sober."  Kara motioned with her hand towards Taylor and Kristen.  "That happened only once."  Kara whined slightly before crossing her arms and pouting.  "It was a couple months ago; can we let it go please?  Not like it hasn't happen to any of you before."

"Yeah but never really on a first time meeting bases."  Joey teased.

"Kara has always made lovely first impression."  Taylor joked while putting his arm around his fiancé.  Kara huffed and pinched Taylor's side.

Chris's turned his attention toward Nicole when he saw her looking at him out of the corner of his eye while Taylor, Joey, and Kara continued to joke around.

"You okay?"  Nicole asked him while running her hand up and down his back.  Her face was full of confusion and concern.  Continually looking at him, her head tilt slightly as she waited for his answer.  Chris gave her a miniature smile while he nodded his head.

Her hand ran up his back to his neck, rubbing it gently.  Her eyes studied his facial features.  Her eyes traveled along his strong jaw line, the small silver hoop earring in his ear and a fuzz patch on his chin under his full pink lips.  Her eyes connected with his again while her hand ran through his black with red tips spiky hair.

"You sure?"  She asked him again awhile trying to read his face expression.  After dancing on the floor, she couldn't stop thinking about what might have happened.  Nicole wondered what would of happen if Joey didn't appear.  I'm so jumping the gun over this.  We are just friends.

"Mhm."  He said, his voice bringing her out of her thoughts.

"Alright than."  Nicole moved her arm and looked at her hand in disgust.  She instantly rubbed her palm, covered with his sweat, against his shirt causing a laugh out of Chris.  "Gross."

"You should see it after a show."  Chris teased.

"No thank you." Nicole shook her head, her black hair moving around her face.  Nicole tucked her hair behind her ear and leaned her head against his shoulder.  Chris looked down at her before wrapping an arm around her shoulder.  "That was gross enough."

Chris chuckled before taking one last swig of his beer and placed the empty bottle on the table.  A small smile tugged on his lips when he felt her in his arm.  Everything he was apprehensive about escaped out of him the moment he put his arm around her.  It felt right; perfect; like it was where she belonged.  Chris glanced down at her once more before looking back around the club.  After making a mental on to talk to JC as soon as possible, he squeezed her arm softly before running his hand up and down her arm.  He wanted to stay like this forever, and that thought scared him.  Am I even ready for this?

Chapter End Notes:

 

Song Credit: "Fall For You" by Secondhand Serenade.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers chris