“Are you planning on sitting here all day?” My best friend, Melissa said as she sat down beside me. I tilted my head down to peer at her over the top of my sunglasses and nodded before turning back around in my chair, watching the kids play in the backyard. The weather was finally starting to turn into spring. It was a good day to have a get together. The sun was blazing.

            We were visiting my parents at their home in Virginia for my father’s birthday cookout. It happened every year near the middle of March. I never understood why since my father’s birthday was in December and mine is in March but I never complained. It was always a good time to get together with my family and friends since Melissa and I lived in New York.

            Both of our families were extremely close, even though she and I had only been friends for a short time. Her family made the trip down from Baltimore for this cookout for the past 10 years. It was a good thing my parents moved into a bigger house with a bigger back yard.

            “You do realize everyone is just going to make there way over here, right? You sing at these things every year and once they are ready, there is no hiding.” She said her eyebrows rose in amusement. “Your uncle said something about friends of his coming over but that once they got here we had to act normal. Do you know who they are?”

            I crossed my right leg over my left and sighed, “Probably some of his musical friends. Why else would he tell us to act normal? But no, I don’t know who. I’m enjoying this peace and quiet before –“

            I was cut off by the loud yell of a five year old boy, “AUNTIE!” I separated my legs just in time for my five year old nephew to run head first into my stomach.

            “Oomph! Geez, Cory, think you could’ve hit me any harder?” I pulled him onto my lap, smothering his face with kisses and ignoring his protests to stop, “No, this is what happens to cute little boys. They get all the lovin’!”

            After a few more kisses, I released him, letting him run towards the other kids. I stood up and looked down at Melissa, “See; now my quiet time is over. Let’s go mingle.”

            A couple hours later, I was sitting on the back porch with Melissa and my aunt laughing at all the misfortune Melissa had been having with men in New York. The screen to the back porch opened, my uncle Milton coming through. He saw us first and smiled, waving us over. I stood, adjusting my yellow tank top and smoothing down the front of my William Rast jeans. I grabbed my beer and walked over towards him, “Hey!”

            My uncle bent down, pulling me into a hug and kissing the top of my head. Milton and I have always been close. Even though he is my uncle by marriage, he treats me like I’m his own daughter. He’s actually spoiled Melissa and me quite a bit. Grabbing my arm, he smiled over at the other two women before pulling me into the house and shutting the door. I raised an eyebrow at him but he just shook his head and I followed him into the living room.

            “Okay, you’re starting to creep me out.” I took a swig of my beer and cocked my head to the side, “What’s up?”

            “I brought some friends with me and I wanted you to meet them first. So, if you freak out it’s in here and not outside. Just … be normal, okay?” He said, his eyes twinkling.

            Realizing I never took my sunglasses off, I pushed them up, resting on the top of my brown hair. I poked my hip out, “Why would I freak out?”

            He just grinned and moved toward the front door. I watched him open it and motion for whoever was on the other side to step in. I took another sip of my beer, not prepared for who came through the front door. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, “You thought I’d freak out?”

            He ushered his guests into the house, shutting the door behind them. “Well, yeah. You’ve only been in love with him since you were 10.”

            I rolled my brown eyes and stuck out my hand, looking right into his blue ones. Wow, he’s much hotter in person. Especially with glasses. “Hi, I’m Arianna but everyone just calls me Ari.”

            He smiled, “I’m Justin. This is my mom, Lynn and my friend Trace. Thanks for letting us come. Milt said it would be alright.”

            I shook Lynn and Trace’s hand, “It’s nice to meet all of you and it’s not a problem. Plus we have enough of everything to last through winter. Are you guys hungry or thirsty?”

            Milton stepped around and looked at me, “Who are you and were is my niece?”

            I giggled, “What?” I hate it when he decides it’s a good time to embarrass me. Yes, I’m a huge fan of Justin Timberlake but does he have to go and point that out? Why yes he does, apparently.

            “See, this was the plan. I even warned them! You’re not… squealing.”

            “I’m 25. I don’t squeal. I talk very excitedly. There is a difference.” I smiled over at Lynn who laughed and patted Milton on the shoulder. “Am I disappointing you? I can squeal if you really want me to.”

            “No!” Justin said quickly, receiving a dirty look from his mother, “I mean its okay. Sorry.” He laughed nervously, running a hand across the back of his neck.

            I shook my head, “Its okay. I get it and yes, Uncle Milton I have been a fan since I was young but I think I’ve passed that stage in my life. Come on, let’s go outside.” I turned around to show everyone out the back. I heard more laughter from behind me as we got to the back door. I looked over my shoulder and everyone was grinning at me, “What? Something on my butt?” I looked down, trying to see if I could see anything.

            Trace laughed harder, “No! But those jeans look good on you.”

            I laughed when I realized what he was talking about, “Thanks. I got them in New York; not quite sure who the designers are though.” I giggled at the looks on their faces.

 

*~*~*

            I sat on the edge of the pool, my jeans rolled up just above my knees, my feet and calves resting in the warm water. The one thing I loved the most about my parents knew home was their heated swimming pool. Amazing. Melissa was a little dumbfounded when we came from inside the house but everyone seemed to be getting along extremely well. I spent a lot of time talking with Lynn and Trace while everyone seemed eager to meet Justin.

            The good thing about my parent’s pool is that it is further back rather than close to the patio. While I could still hear and see everyone, it was still semi private. I looked down at my phone, seeing a text message from Melissa. I looked up and saw her grinning at me. Opening the phone, I read

So how does it feel to finally meet your husband in real life?

            I looked back up at her to see her laughing and rolled my eyes. I quickly opened a blank text message and typed and sent a response,

I declared him my husband when I was 13. I think I’m over it lol

            I looked across the yard but the humor in her face was gone. She was still smiling but it was different. Nodding her head to the side, she stood and turned her back towards me, talking to one of her brothers. I looked over to my right and saw Justin sitting beside me. When he got there, I had no clue. I didn’t even notice him sitting down. “I hope you don’t mind me joining you but you looked lonely over here all by yourself.”

            I shrugged, “Company is good. Are you enjoying yourself?” I leaned back on my hands, kicking my feet through the water. He was sitting Indian style, his hands in his lap.

            “It’s fun, very homey. I miss having these kinds of things.” He rested his elbow on his thigh and rested his cheek on his hand, facing me, “Why was your uncle expecting you to freak out?”

            I threw my head back and laughed, “Uhh, well. I’m a fan and when I was younger I was an even bigger fan, I guess. So, I suppose he figured since I admire you, I’d start crying and hyperventilating or some shit like that.”

            “Not a big fan anymore?” His eyes twinkling

            I grinned, “I mean, you’re alright”

            His fake hurt made me laugh even harder. He broke out into a grin, “You have a pretty smile.”

            I faced towards the pool, glancing at him out of the corner of my eye, “Thank you. So, what are you in town for?”

            He shrugged, “Working on some music in Virginia Beach. My mom and Trace were visiting and Milton mentioned coming up here for a cook out, asked if we wanted to come along. We’re just staying until next weekend. I’ve never been to Fredericksburg before. Milton mentioned you sing.”

            I rolled my eyes, “He would. Yes, but just for fun. Mostly family events, though. My dad is a musician and my aunts were dancers. My two brothers play instruments and my mom just nods her head to the beat.”

            He chuckled, “Sounds like a talented family. Are you singing tonight?”

            I nodded, “Sadly, yes. Had I known we’d have a real performer in the house I would’ve faked like I was sick or something, I get nervous around new people.”

            He sighed, “Don’t be nervous. I’m here to nod my head to the beat with your mom.”

            I snorted, “You obviously haven’t seen my mother’s rhythm.” I looked up as one of my aunts was approaching. She caught my eye and raised an eyebrow before motioning for us to head towards the patio, “Looks like its show time.”

 

*~*~*

            I sat behind the keyboard as my older brother Mike got behind the drums and Ryan picked up his guitar. My aunt Carolyn spoke first, “Gravity, please.” I smiled softly at Justin who was watching me intently. His mom whispered something in his ear, a slight blush creeping up into his cheeks and he ducked his head. Trace laughed, looking over at me. I really hate having all eyes on me.

            I took a deep breath, “Alright, Gravity it is. I’m only doing one, since I have to be up early tomorrow. Stop your groaning, I can’t help it if I am party pooper.”

            My nephew Cory pouted, “But I wanted you to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star!” Everyone laughed.

            “How about I sing it to you when it’s time for bed?”

            “Like, my own concert?” He spoke, his young grey eyes going wide. The grin on his face contagious when I nodded.

            I placed my fingers on the keyboard and prayed to God the sound that came out of my mouth didn’t make Justin cringe.

 

Something always brings me back to you.
It never takes too long.
No matter what I say or do I'll still feel you here 'til the moment I'm gone.

You hold me without touch.
You keep me without chains.
I never wanted anything so much than to drown in your love and not feel your reign.

 

I looked over at my dad, who was smiling. His arm around my mom’s shoulders.

 

Set me free, leave me be. I don't want to fall another moment into your gravity.
Here I am and I stand so tall, just the way I'm supposed to be.
But you're on to me and all over me.

You loved me 'cause I'm fragile.
When I thought that I was strong.
But you touch me for a little while and all my fragile strength is gone.

 

Set me free, leave me be. I don't want to fall another moment into your gravity.
Here I am and I stand so tall, just the way I'm supposed to be.
But you're on to me and all over me.

 

          Finally getting the courage, I glanced around at those watching. My eyes landing on Justin’s blue eyes, he was watching me intently. A soft smile on his lips.

 

I live here on my knees as I try to make you see that you're everything I think I need here on the ground.
But you're neither friend nor foe though I can't seem to let you go.
The one thing that I still know is that you're keeping me down

 

          I finished the song, giggling at the applause and stood up, my dad taking my place. I hugged my mom and told Melissa I was running into the house for a minute. I walked through the sliding glass door and headed towards the living room, “Ari!” I turned around and saw Justin approaching me. He closed the glass door and stepped into the living room.

            “Hey, what’s up?” I asked, slipping my cell phone into my pocket.

            “Are you busy tomorrow?” He asked, rocking back on his heels. I shook my head and he continued, “I was kind of hoping we could go to lunch.”

            “Are you asking me out on a date, Justin?” I cocked my head to the side and raised an eyebrow.

            “Yeah… yeah, I guess I am.” He replied.

            “Okay. Since you’re not from around here, do you want me to pick you up?” I asked.

            He shrugged, “That’s fine. So, tomorrow at 1ish? Is that okay?”

            I nodded. We exchanged information before I turned and continued up the stairs. Did that really just happen?

Chapter End Notes:
Song Ari Sings: "Gravity" - Sara Bareilles


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: celebrityj