Thursday had arrived and the annoying sound of JC’s alarm clock rang throughout his bedroom. He saw 10:00 flashing in red lights as his tired eyes opened. He let out a groan and hid his face in his pillow, not wanting to look at the time. Yet, he quickly popped up once he remembered why he had set the alarm and had to get up.

Starbucks with Mel.

JC made sure the alarm wouldn’t ring again and then slid out of bed, wiping a hand over his tired face. He needed to wake up and not look so pitiful when he saw Mel. He didn’t want to look too much like a ragged bum.

He walked over to his adjoining bathroom and looked in the mirror. He hadn’t shaved in a couple days. His scruff was visible, but he decided to screw it. Mel was his best friend, regardless if he had deeper feelings, and she had seen him at his worst. She wouldn’t care as long as he showed up on time.

JC brushed his teeth and washed his face. Then he put some deodorant on and some of his cologne. Not that it would necessarily make Mel fall for him, but it didn’t hurt to smell good around her.

Once he was done, he went into his huge walk-in closet and perused the racks and racks of clothing he had. He felt like today could easily be a hoodie and jeans kind of day. The sun was out, but there was still enough of a chill going on by LA standards. He picked out a gray hoodie that had tattoo prints by Ed Hardy. It was definitely comfortable and casual. He also picked out a black hat, not wanting to have to style his hair. It would be easier to hide the bedhead with. Then lastly he picked out some jeans that were a little looser than his normal skinny kind.

Once JC put the whole ensemble on his body, he was feeling good to go. He even felt little butterflies in his stomach, just knowing that he was meeting up with Mel. He really hoped he could hold it together. In his mind it would be horrible to blurt out ‘I LOVE YOU MELLIE!’ and surprise the shit out of her at Starbucks.

After making his way downstairs and grabbing his wallet, car keys, and Blackberry, JC headed to the garage to get into his Mercedes. Once he slid in and buckled up, he put the garage door up and drove on his way. The ride to Starbucks was fast. Though JC wished it would’ve been longer. Ever since he’d admitted to himself that he loved his best friend, it was a trying time to be around her. Yet, he would manage. He was JC Chasez. One calm, cool cat.

After pulling up to the Starbucks and finding a spot, JC got out of his car. He strolled down the little bit of sidewalk and smiled. Sitting at one of the outside tables was Mel. Her back was to him, but he knew her from any angle. He grinned widely as he realized she was wearing a pink hoodie he’d given her for her birthday. It made him happy to know that his gift was useful and well…she looked cute in it.

He decided he’d sneak up on her. He walked slowly so she wouldn’t hear his footsteps and then when he reached her, his hands went to her shoulders.

Mel jumped at the touch and she cried out. “Hey! Get your hands..”

“It’s me.” He chuckled. This caused Mel to turn around and she calmed down, seeing him.

“Thank god…I was about to whoop some ass. Don’t scare me like that.”

“Yeah…yeah.” Mel just shook her head at him.

“So I didn’t get my drink yet…I was waiting for you. So I guess we can get our drinks now.” JC nodded and then he stopped Mel from getting up, as he saw her starting to move.

“Don’t. I’ll get it.”

“You don’t know what I like, shitty.”

“50 bucks says I do.” She laughed.

“Well I ain’t giving your pop star ass normal folks money.”

Now it was his turn to laugh. “Ugh…just let me get your drink. You’ll be surprised.”

Mel just motioned for him to go ahead and get their drinks. JC grinned and he headed into the café.

He looked up at the menu board just to double check his assumption and he also picked out his own drink.

“I’d like a venti caramel mocha frappuccino and a grande chai latte.” He ordered when it was his turn. Then he paid the barista for both of their drinks.

A few minutes later JC returned to the table outside with the drinks and saw Mel looking sad. He set the drinks on the table and then sat own in a chair. He scooted his chair beside Mel’s and he looked at her. “Hey…something wrong?” He asked gently.

She shook her head, but kept her head down. Her hands were also holding onto her phone. It was like she was reading a text or something.

“Mel..just tell me. Let me know what’s wrong.” He tried coaxing her. He didn’t ever like to see her like this.

She let out a sigh and then slowly looked up at him. “It’s just….I was suppose to go back home to see my niece be born and well no one called to tell me that my brother’s baby mama was going to have a C-section this morning. I just got a text that my niece was born a couple hours ago and that everything looked good so far.”

JC knew that Mel was a sucker for her first-born niece and there was no doubt she would be a sucker for her second niece as well. He remembered her saying how she planned to fly back home once it got closer to the baby’s birth to be there. Apparently that didn’t happen and he knew it really had to put a pang in Mel’s heart.

“Ohhh..Mel. I’m sorry, honey. I wish someone in your family would’ve like said something. Maybe…it was just decided like yesterday or something and they didn’t wanna burden you with catching a redeye flight?”

Mel shrugged. “Eh..I don’t know. It’s not your fault. Don’t apologize.”

“I know, but I know how much you wanted to be there.”

“I did…” She sighed with a frown adorning her face once more.

He saw the frown and it caused him to make his own frown. Her emotions affected him and it was just part of the bond. Yet..he prayed and hoped maybe one day she’d feel even deeper about their bond.

“But..maybe you can get some pictures sent to you and maybe you can fly out soon and see the baby.” He said, mustering up his signature smile.

“Yeah..you’re right…I guess I’m just more upset about it because the doctors didn’t know if the baby would make it after she was born and I could’ve easily never gotten to see my niece ever.” She said with another sigh.

JC scooted even closer and then he put his arms out. “Come on…you need a hug.”

She finally smiled then and extended her arms, wrapping them around him. JC grinned and wrapped his arms tightly around Mel. He rested his chin against the top of her head and just hugged her. He could smell her sweet vanilla perfume and it was sex to his senses. Plus just feeling her and having her closeness, well it made him not want to let go.

Mel laughed as she buried her face in his shoulder. “Damn, shitty. Do you have a date after our coffee party? You certainly smell like a walking poster child for Abercrombie Fierce.”

“Ughhh…no.” He chuckled. “I just thought you didn’t want me all smelly.”

“Well considering you’re hugging me right now, it’s a good thing you don’t smell.” She joked.

Then Mel slowly started pulling away, feeling better already. His hug made her feel like she had someone who cared and understood what was going on with her. Mel would book a flight as soon as she got back to her apartment to go see her new niece.

Yet, Mel wasn’t able to pull away all the way. JC kept his grip on her. He found himself really not letting go and almost daydreaming as he took in more of her vanilla scent.

“Jace?”” She said to get his attention.

“Hmm..”

“Umm…you gonna let me go?” That’s when he realized what he was doing. He had definitely not hugged Mel that long before. He quickly pulled his arms off of her.

“Sorry about that. I just thought you needed a good, long hug.” She chuckled.

“That’s what you have me, indeed. I was worried you weren’t going let me go ever.” At those words, JC sighed. What if he really didn’t wanna let go over her ever?

“It’s a good thing you stopped then, huh?” He joked and then he grabbed Mel’s frappuccino off the table, handing it to her.

“Oh my god…you got me a venti!” She cried out.

“What?” He asked slightly confused.

“A venti! Do I look like I need a freaking venti?!”

“Oh come on..Mel. Don’t worry about your weight. You know you’re great the way you are.” Mel laughed.

“Lies! Lies! Lies!”

“Nope..I speak the truth, but if you really feel the need you can work out with me at the gym soon.”

Mel sipped her frappuccino and then grinned widely. “ Oh yay…you got the flavor right! I’m sorry..I guess you knew your stuff after all.”

He grinned. “See..I know my Mellie’s Starbucks favorite.”

He did know that along with many other things. He knew so much about Mel that it was almost disgusting that the two weren’t dating. He had observed her so much and collected so many little details. He was smitten with her. He just had to get the guts to say something.

“You do. Good boy, Chasez.” She grinned and sipped some more. Then she set her drink down.

“You know what..I think I might take you up on the gym offer. I mean..just one venti frap has like a bajillion calories.” JC rolled his eyes.

“You’re fine. You’re absolutely fine.”

“Psh…says the man so skinny that he could snap like a twig.”

JC patted his stomach then. “See…I’ve got something there. I ain’t no twig no more. I actually eat unlike when I toured in Europe for *NSYNC.”

Mel laughed. “Okay..whatever…keep telling yourself that.”

“I will.” He said matter-of-factly.

He then reached for his chai latte and sipped some of it down. Mel watched him and giggled.

“You and your pansy chai drinks. Plus you got a grande. Now why would you get a grande and get me a venti?”

He looked at her once he stopped drinking. “So you could get more of the sugar you’re missing ‘cause right now you aren’t so sweet!” He shot back with snarkiness.

She gasped and then shook her head in amusement. “Oh gosh..I think I just got burned. My life wouldn’t be complete without your smart ass.”

“Don’t you know it.” He smirked.

“Oh I do.” She said and picked up her frappuccino again. She slurped it down contently, enjoying the tasty drink.

 

After they both finished their drinks, Mel looked at her watch and then slowly stood up from her chair.

“I’ve got to get going, Jace. I have this meeting soon with Justin. I guess he wants me to work on the William Rast website since I’m all tech savvy. Plus he said he’d give me some good money to save up for the loft I’ve been wanting.”

‘Wait? What? You and Justin are having a business meeting?”

“Yesssireee.”

“How come I didn’t know about this before?”

“’Cause you’re not all-knowing, Chasez.” She smirked.

He rolled his eyes. “Well..don’t let Justin work you too hard.”

“I’ll let him work me all he wants. I need the money, Jace.”

JC replayed her words back in his mind. Oh gosh..yeah he totally let his mind go down the gutter and it was a disturbing thought.

“I know..you do. It’s honorable, Mel. You come to LA as this good Midwestern girl and you earn your own money to get a loft, instead of mooching off your rich celebrity friends.”

‘Exactly. I knew you understood.”

“Mmhmm…”

She then moved over to the trash and tossed her empty cup away. JC then stood up and moved next to her, tossing his empty cup away as well.

“So..I guess I’ll call you later, JC. Maybe tonight or tomorrow. I don’t know. I might even end up going out of town to see my niece.”

JC nodded his head. “Okay..well no matter what I know I’ll be seeing or talking to you soon.”

She smiled and then she gave JC a quick hug goodbye. “Okay, later, shitty.”

He accepted the hug and then watched her start to go on her way. He felt like he had to say something and that he just had to stop her. He knew she was only walking away from him for the day, but it felt like forever.

He quickly found his voice. “Mel!”

She turned her head hearing him call at her and took a few steps back toward him. She grinned, awaiting what he needed to say.

“I..I..”

“You what?”

“I..love..” He began and mentally said ‘you’ , but stopped it from being said verbally. “your hoodie.”

She laughed. “You love my hoodie? You bought it for me, dork.”

“Yeah..I know. I’m just glad I bought it for you.”

“Me too, Jace. It’s so comfortable.”

He sighed and then he closed the gap between him and Mel. “Well..okay, I won’t keep you any longer.”

Then he placed a very quick peck to her cheek. “Good luck with Justin. Do your thang, honey.”

She grinned. “Thanks. I will. Bye.”

“Bye.” He then he watched her head down the sidewalk to her car.

He stood there with his hands in his jean pockets and just watched her every step. He let out a sigh and then he turned around and went on his own way.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed and reviews are appreciated!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers jc justin