Story Notes:
I know I have a bad track record with my writing, but I'm hoping this will be the story to finally end it. I swear it'll get finished.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Please be kind and leave a review! Thanks!

JC had just returned home from filming another episode of America’s Best Dance Crew. He was tired and ready to just go check his email, before passing out on his bed. He didn’t really want anyone or anything to stop him from doing so….yet with his bad luck, his brother, Tyler was home.

Tyler was sitting in a chair at the counter in the kitchen, sipping on a beer. Once JC had walked through into the kitchen, Tyler looked up at him and cried out. “Hey bro! Glad you’re home. We need to talk.”

JC quickly shook his head. “No. I just want to go upstairs and…”

“And wallow in your own self-pity that you haven’t told Melissa that you love her.” Tyler interjected.

JC immediately tensed up and tossed his brother a look of ‘don’t even go there’.

“Oh come on, Josh. This is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about. You have to tell her. I’m sick of my 32 year old brother acting like a little boy who has no balls.”

JC tossed him a bored look. “ Tyler, it’s my business and it’s my love life. Let me act how I want to act. I don’t see you telling Brooke you love her.”

“That’s different. The future is uncertain for me and Brooke, but you and Mel could have a whole damn fairytale. I’ve watched the way you two act and this best friends thing is bullshit. You’re like Beauty and the Beast, Romeo & Juliet, Lady & the Tramp, and..and..”

JC held up his hand and cut him off. “And just shut up, bro!”

Tyler stopped talking and then he hopped off his chair. He then grabbed a bag off of the kitchen table and handed it to JC. “Here…Mel came over while you were taping and dropped off cookies. Plus she asked for you to call her. She wants to go to Starbucks soon and well…you’re coffee buddies.”

JC accepted the bag of cookies and simply nodded. Then he hurried out of the kitchen before Tyler could get on his case again.

Once JC was in the comfort of his bedroom, he let out a sigh as he collapsed on his bed. It was so good to be laying down and alone with his thoughts. Alone with the cookies was a nice thing too. JC stuck his hand in the bag and grabbed a huge chocolate chip cookie. He moaned at how delicious it was after taking a huge bite. Melissa made the best homemade cookies and JC was thankful she did little things like this for him. It made him love her even more.

He set the cookies down on his nightstand and then he reached in his pocket for his cell phone. He knew he had to call Melissa and truthfully…he wouldn’t mind hearing her voice.

After swallowing the last bite of the cookie, he licked his lips and dialed Melissa’s number. He held his phone up to his ear and then waited for her to pick up.

“…Hey, Jace.” Her sweet voice said a moment later on the other line.

“ Mel, honey. Thanks for the cookies. Delicious as always.” Her girlish laughter followed at his compliment.

“You know it. Always the best cookies for you. So I’m glad you called me back. I didn’t realize you had started taping your show again tonight.”

“Oh..it’s okay. It just sucks I wasn’t home when you came by.” He said with a hint of disappointment in his voice.

“Don’t sound so sad. I’m sure Tyler told you I want to go to Starbucks soon, so how about Thursday?” He could imagine her smile as she asked the question and it made him smile.

“Yeah, sounds good to me. I don’t have any studio time booked then.”

“Awesome. I’ll meet you there Thursday at 11 A.M., so don’t sleep in, sleepy.” Mel teased. She knew he had a habit of sleeping in when he could.

He chuckled. “I won’t. I’ll even set my alarm to some obnoxious setting and it’ll get me out of bed like magic. Lord knows I can’t miss Starbucks with Mellie.”

“Damn straight!”

“For sure. So how was Mellie’s day?” He asked, always curious to know how his best friend was doing.

“Well…Mellie’s day was business as usual. Eat some bishes for breakfast, buy some killer kicks, look at a couple amazing lofts, bake some cookies, and….oh yes, talk to some dorky guy on the phone.” Her response caused JC to bust out in laughter and Mel grinned on the other line, loving how she could cause him to laugh.

Once JC gained his composure, he spoke again. “So who was this dorky guy?”

“Mmm…does the name JC Chasez, ring a bell?” JC then gasped in feigned hurt.

“That’s my name. You’re mean. So very mean.”

“Ohh..cry me a river. If I didn’t love dorks, you wouldn’t be my best friend. You know I love you, shitty.”

He grinned, knowing it was true. JC and Melissa were best friends and had been almost since the day Melissa moved to LA. She was at a nightclub, getting her first taste of Hollywood life, after unpacking some stuff in the little apartment she could afford. She hadn’t expected to bump into any celebrities so soon, but that night at Crimson, JC and some of his buddies were celebrating a friend’s birthday. She knew who he was as soon as she saw him, but had hidden her fan girlish tendencies. To her JC was a real person, just like everyone else, and she kept her cool. She just went about her business, dancing out on the dance floor. Mel was just enjoying herself in the sea of people, until she felt some cool liquid hit her arm and then her dress. She turned and that’s when she saw JC had bumped into her and his drink ended up splashing on her. His big blue eyes met hers with embarrassment and he started apologizing right away. Mel had accepted his apology and insisted it was all okay. Yet, JC, being the nice guy, ordered Melissa a drink and they ended up talking to each other the rest of the night. Their personalities were compatible and an instant bond had formed. From then on, they had been a major role in each other’s lives and very much still were.

“Mmm..I know. You just have a funny way of showing it sometimes.” He mused.

She chuckled. “Just part of my charm.”

JC let out a yawn and as much as he tried to hide it, it was loud enough for Melissa to hear.

“Sounds like you need sleep. I won’t keep you any longer.”

“No, it’s okay. I’m still awake. Talk to me.” He insisted. Though Mel knew better, knowing that JC needed his beauty sleep.

“Just sleep. You can talk all you want to me later. Right now you’re very tired and I know it. Don’t lie, Jace.” He sighed, knowing she was right. He just loved how she seemed to know what he needed or wanted and made sure he got it.

“Ughhh..fiiine. I’m hanging up and shutting my eyes.” The defeat evident in his voice.

“Good. Night, JC.”

“Night, Mel.”

Then he ended the call and put his phone away. He turned on his side and snuggled under his covers. Soon enough he was met with sleep. Sleep that would provide him with dreams and most nights his dreams were about his best friend.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers jc justin