Deciding it was finally time to leave, Autumn and Davey went upstairs only to find Effron tearing through the kitchen, throwing empty bottles and cups into the garbage, muttering profanities to himself only he could understand.

"Hey, everything alright? Where‘s Raleigh?"

Effron's movements completely halted as he looked up to Autumn. He didn't even need to say anything, she already knew what happened.

"Who the hell is Josh?" Autumn pinched the bridge between her nose and closed her eyes, sighing loudly. "Is he her boyfriend?"

"No, Effron. They haven't been together in almost a year now."

"Well then what did I do that was wrong if she's not with anyone? Why did she run out of here freakin' crying?" It was so easy for Autumn to see the pain and outrage hidden in his eyes, as if his words weren't enough.

"Nothing, Effron. I'm going to go back and talk with her, see what is going on in that head of hers. I'll see you guys at class tomorrow."

Slamming the door shut as soon as she entered the dorm room, Autumn turned on the light and almost smiled when Raleigh bolted upright in her bed and squinted at her, her eyes fighting to adjust to the light.

"What the hell, Autumn?"

"I think I should be asking you that, Raleigh."

"What...?"

Crossing her arms, Autumn refused to back down. She was going to get answers from this girl no matter what it took. Effron had been her friend first and she knew he really liked Raleigh. She'd be damned if she was going to let her hurt him because of a guy on the other side of the country that she wasn't even dating anymore. "what happened between you and Effron?" Sighing, Raleigh closed her eyes and fell back to the bed. It was too late and she was to tired for this. "Answer me damn it! Effron is back at his house all pissed off because you ran off saying something about Josh. Look, I know you love him and plan on marrying him one day, but you‘re not together right now. Effron is here and now and he is a really great guy who likes you. There‘s no shame in having some unattached fun at the very least."

"I know that, Autumn,. The feeling of guilt just became too overwhelming. I've never been with anyone but josh."

Sitting on Raleigh's bed, Autumn rubbed her back. "I know you feel bad, but you haven't been dating for almost a year now. You deserve to have a good time while away at college. Besides, how do you know that Josh isn't at NYU doing the same thing?"

"You're right. I'll talk to Effron tomorrow."

"Good. Now I'm crashing."

Raleigh rolled away from Autumn on her side and she couldn't even get her eyes to close. She'd had a point. Was Raleigh really one hundred percent certain Josh wasn't in New York having some wild and crazy sex with any random girl, hopefully not Erin, and having the time of his life? It was, after all, his idea to wait to be together once again until they could actually be together. Maybe he wanted to have some unattached fun as well, not worrying about feelings for once.

No.

Raleigh couldn't believe that. Josh wouldn't lie or keep anything from her. They were past everything and now had a renewed sense of trust between them. So could she really sleep with Effron and do the occasional drug without it affecting her emotionally? Knowing she couldn't allow her love for Josh to control her life, Raleigh told herself she would only think of Josh in a friendly light and live for the moment "having fun."

With Effron.

---

Slowly coming out of her deep sleep, Raleigh groaned as she reached for the annoying beeping object. She wanted nothing more than to throw it against the wall and turn over and go back to sleep, but she couldn't. She had a session with her vocal coach in an hour and she refused to miss it.

Dragging herself out of the warm, comfy bed, Raleigh grabbed her toiletries and headed into the bathroom for a well needed shower.

After doing her hair and make up, Raleigh felt a new found confidence in herself. It was going to be a good day. Starting fresh never felt so good.

Knowing Effron had his lesson before her, she left a few minutes early, hoping to catch him before he headed to his next class.

As she waited in the hallway by the door, Raleigh listened as he sang something in French. It was beautiful. Effron could sing so well. She found herself wanting to sing with him for their final project of the semester.

Suddenly all sound stopped and she knew his time was up. The door opened and he seemed surprised to see her standing there, waiting for him.

"Raleigh, I wasn't expecting to see you today."

"Well, I have my lesson next. And I wanted to talk to you. You know, apologize for how I acted last night."

Nodding, he met her gaze. "Who is Josh? A boyfriend back home?"

"He's my childhood sweetheart. We were together from the time I was five until just after last Christmas. I felt like I was betraying him somehow, but then I remembered, he is at NYU doing who knows what and I am here free to do the same."

"Raleigh, you know I would never put you in a position to undermine your morals. And I won't make you do anything you don't want to."

Smiling up at him, Raleigh never wanted something so much. "I know. But we're just having fun, right?"

He smiled back at her and she could feel the butterflies forming in her belly. He began to walk backwards down the hallway and he raised his arms a little. "Just having fun."

Going into Mr. Cooper's studio, Raleigh felt the best that she had felt in a long time. She felt as though she could take on the world.

"Are you ready to begin, Ms. Coons?"

"Am I ever."

"Good. I have a new piece for you to work on. A bit more challenging." Placing a few sheets of paper on the stand before her, Mr. Cooper leaned down a bit, smiling at her. "If you master this as easily as the others I'm not sure what I'll do. I've never been in this situation before."

"Surely you have had a good student before, Mr. Cooper."

"Good, yes. Amazing?" He shook his head, his eyes never leaving her own. "Nowhere near as amazing as you."

"Well, that's too bad." She wasn't stupid. Raleigh was well aware of the fact that they were no longer speaking of the new piece. She was openly flirting with her professor and she was having a great time doing it. But what was really wrong with it? Mr. Cooper was only twenty four years old, making him the youngest professor in the college, and the most attractive one at that. He had these green eyes that just seemed to move right into your soul. His brown curls were grown out a bit and his tan skin was perfectly blemish free and clean shaven. He was positively gorgeous. Not to mention an incredible singer and teacher. Was it wrong to want to kiss him? "You have no idea what you've been missing."

"I think I'm well aware of what I've missed out on, Ms. Coons."

"Call me Raleigh."

"If only you call me Daniel."

"Gladly." She could feel his hot breath on her lips and it took everything in her to not lean forward those few inches and put her lips on his. She had to back up, get away from him.

Pulling away, Raleigh looked down at what she was given to work on today and smiled. It was Italian. She loved the Italian language. This was going to be no problem at all. Taking a deep breath, Raleigh belted out the song with perfection, hitting every note with precision and enunciation.

"I'm speechless."

"I thought the objective was to challenge me. That was the easiest piece you have given me yet. I think It's time to step away from the opera and give me something else or we're just going to have a problem."

Studying his student, Daniel nodded, agreeing with her. It was obvious she had mastered all opera types, but could she do Broadway?

"All right." Sitting at the piano, he began to play notes, flowing them all together to create a beautiful melody. "Do you recognize this song?"

It took a few moments for Raleigh to hear what the song actually was, but she had to smile at realizing he was playing "Goodbye Love" from Rent. "Yeah, that's from my favorite Broadway show of all time."

"Very good." Taking his hands off the keys, Daniel stood up once again, looking her square in the eye as if he were about to tell her a secret. "I'm getting a workshop together with a couple of the other professors. I have been put in charge of casting because they know I am the best at picking the best."

"Okay...so what does this have to do with me?"

"We need a Mimi. Someone who can act, sing and dance and not lose a note from moving around during "Out Tonight." I think that someone is you, Raleigh Coons."

Staring at him in shock, Raleigh had to have heard him wrong. "Performing in a Broadway show like Rent is a big deal, Daniel. I'm used to playing my own songs at my dad's café. There is no way I could pull off a huge role like Mimi Marquez and be compared to Rosario Dawson and Daphne Vega."

"You wanted to be challenged, Raleigh, I challenge you. And quite honestly you would make the best Mimi. We both know that. The professors and I have agreed on grading the students this semester by how well they perform in the final show. If you do well, which I am positive you will get rave reviews, I will be forced to give you an A plus. Doesn't that sound inviting?"

"That's bribery, Mr. Cooper."

"No, not when I can see it in your eyes that you're dying to play this role. Be honest with me, Ms. Coons, will you? This is a chance for you to be seen and heard and you know that. You won't pass it up for anything."

Raleigh couldn't do anything. She couldn't think, couldn't move, could barely speak. She knew he was right. This was the chance of a lifetime, a dream come true. Only an idiot would turn it down.

"You're right."

His breath taking smile shone all the way to his eyes. "Good. Opening night is November eighth and the final show is November eleventh. Two shows that day. Rehearsals start this Saturday at noon right here. Don't be late."

Raleigh couldn't believe her lesson was already over, but what had she really learned? She could already feel her nerves kick into overdrive and she hadn't even begun yet. "I won't." She turned to leave and just as she was reaching out to the door handle to pull it open, she turned back to her teacher. "Who is playing Roger?"

"Mr. Walker."

As she left the studio, Raleigh could only smile. This was something she had wanted and waited for, for eleven years now, and she finally got it. How was she going to pull this off?

She had to call Josh.

He would be so happy for her, but would he come to be there for her? She didn't know if she could do it without him there on opening night. Sure she had performed hundreds of times, but this was different and much bigger than anything she's ever done. Could she really play a role that two women had made so memorable and do it justice? This was all so overwhelming.

"Hello?"

"Hey Josh." Hearing his voice in that one word had already begun to make her feel comforted. She missed him so much. Why had they decided to go to school on opposite ends of the country?

"Hey beautiful! It's so good to hear your voice. I called you last night."

"I know. I was at a party my roommate made me go to."

"Oh, cool. Have fun?" There was something in the way he said that completely innocent question that made the guilt return once again.

"Yeah. I actually did have fun."

"That's good." There was a little bit of silence before she heard him sigh in the phone line. "I hate us being on opposite ends of the country. I miss you so much, Ray." And the guilt thickens.

"I miss you too, Josh. But we'll see each other soon."

"I know. I can't wait until Christmas."

"we might not have to wait that long. I have some exciting news to tell you and everyone back home."

"Oh yeah? What's that?"

"A couple of the professors are putting together a workshop to be performed a few nights in November. I've been cast as Mimi Marquez." She could hardly contain her excitement as she told her former lover the exciting news.

"Rent? That's the workshop? You love that show, Ray. I'm so happy for you. And you can expect to me there opening night."

"Really? Oh Josh that would be perfect. I couldn't do it without you."

"Well, you won't have to worry about that. I'll be right there with you. But right now I have to go. Talk to you later?"

"Of course. Bye, Josh."

"I Love you, Raleigh." He said it so softly but it was full of truth, meaning and promise.

"I love you too, Josh, always."

Hanging up the phone, Josh tried not to let his feelings get the best of him. He really was happy for Raleigh. It was a great opportunity to really get her name out there and he didn't lie. He would be there opening night to support the love of his life. He just wished he wasn't feeling so guilty. He knew she could tell there was something different about him and he was surprised she hadn't asked. If she had Josh didn't think he had the heart to lie to her. But some things were better left unsaid. She would never forgive him if she ever found out what he had done. Sure they weren't dating at the moment but Raleigh couldn't stand Erin. He could hardly stand Erin himself. How could he have let that happen? The guilt he felt in his stomach for being weak was overwhelming. Oh well. They weren't together right now and haven't been in almost a year. This was nothing to be ashamed of. That was that.

Besides it would never happen again. He would make sure of it.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc college