~4 Months Earlier~

Clutching the key in her hand, Raleigh felt the excitement course through her,. She was here, finally on her own chasing her dreams. She no longer had to worry about her parents looking over her shoulder every second of the day and controlling her every move. She was here, in Los Angeles, far away from home, on her own and she fully intended to live her life the way she saw fit. Now all that stood between her and her freedom was the door that allowed her entry to her new home for the next four semesters.

Moving down to the handle, Raleigh slid the key into the hole and turned. She opened the door and walked in, practically stopping dead. Her room was huge and had her own bathroom, which she hadn't been expecting at all. Hollywood's School for the Arts was definitely a dream come true for someone from Shelby, Tennessee.

Noticing that her roommate hadn't shown up yet, Raleigh chose the bed farthest from the door and began unpacking her things. She was in heaven.

About a half hour later Raleigh had all her clothes put away and had just finished setting up her desk when she figured her roommate had arrived. Outside the door she could hear a girl complaining about something and fiddling with keys.

"Its just bullshit. I was doing just fine in my single, why do they feel the need to kick me out and stick me in a double?"

"Girl, relax. It'll be fine and with your grades form last semester, the only time you should be spending in here is to sleep anyway."

"Yeah, yeah. Might as well go in. See what she's like." Raleigh heard the other girl agree and she pretended she hadn't just been eavesdropping when they walked in.

Standing up from her computer chair, Raleigh smiled as she went over to the two girls. "Hi. I'm Raleigh. One of yours' roommate."

"That would be me. I'm Autumn."

"Its nice to meet you." This girl was completely Hollywood. Tall, thin, big chest, eyes that seemed as though they were silver, contacts most likely, and her hair was different colors. You could tell it was naturally dark, like her own. There were streaks of blond, red and even some blue all throughout. Aside from the girl's crazy head of hair, she was positively gorgeous. Raleigh knew she couldn't even pale in comparison.

"Yeah, you too. At least it seems like I have a normal roomy." Raleigh rose an eyebrow at the girl but decided not to say anything.

"Um, I took that bed ever there, do you mind?"

"No, that's fine. Oh this is Ember. We met last semester."

"Hi." Ember gave Raleigh a nod in acknowledgment and looked away. Raleigh could already tell that she was a bitch, but Autumn...she seemed nice enough.

"Listen, I gotta drag all my shit in here so I'm sorry if we disturb you at all."

"Hey, do you want some help?"

"Sure. My old dorm is at the end of the hall."

As Raleigh helped them move her things into their dorm, she learned some things about Autumn. She was a vocal major and had failed all of her classes last semester so she was stuck with all of the same classes. She wasn't too open for discussion about why she had flunked so Raleigh dropped the subject figuring something had happened. The girl seemed very sweet and caring as she spoke about her family and friends back home in the valley. It made Raleigh think about Shelby and everyone she left there. She could feel the homesickness kick in full speed and she knew it was going to be a rough few weeks. She already missed Carly and her brothers and sister, and even the guys. But most of all, she missed Josh. He would be leaving for school tomorrow and then Raleigh had no idea when she'd see him again. Most likely thanksgiving. They had decided, after Josh had finally forgiven her, that a long distance relationship was out of the question this time. So for now, they remained friends.

As the days and weeks went by, Raleigh became more used to being on her own and not having her controlling mother on her back for everything she did. She actually really liked it. It was the first time she felt free. She still missed Josh insanely though. They called one another when they got the free time and Josh had promised to go out and visit on one of his long weekends, but money was a little short for him at the moment.

As for Raleigh, she had started the semester off incredibly well. She went to every class and did excellent. Her professors all loved her and she'd be lying if she said she didn't have a slight crush on a certain one as well. But being the good southern girl she was, she could never act on the feelings of infatuation. It just wasn't right.

While Raleigh sat on her bed writing in her journal and jamming to The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, she thought about her first month in LA. She and Autumn had become really good friends, Ember still despised her, and she was the best student her vocal coach has. She had even managed a few other friends in there as well. Just as her thoughts roamed to her family, friends and Josh once again, Autumn barged in and ripped the headphones from her ears.

"Hey! What are you doing?" Autumn grabbed her hands and pulled her to her feet.

"Get your purse, let's go."

"Go? Go where?" Autumn turned to her and smiled coyly.

"Shopping."

"Why?"

"Raleigh, no offence honey, but you scream southern country. We need to update you wardrobe. You're in LA now. Not Tennessee, down home on the farm."

"Autumn, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I'm comfortable in these clothes. This is me. That southern country girl. I don't know, nor do I want to be, anything else."

"Alright, the real reason I wanted to take you shopping is because we're going to a party tonight."

"Oh, Autumn, I don't know. I have a lot of homework..."

"Oh come on Raleigh! You're in LA and we all know you don't need this school. You're already the best. Besides, all you do is go to class and practice. Its time to let loose and party. Just...I can tell you really miss your home. You need to get out and have a good time."

Looking her roommate, Raleigh knew she was right. She hadn't been out once yet and a party really sounded great right now. Sighing, she slipped on her sneakers and grabbed her purse.

"Ok, let's go."

"Yay!" Autumn jumped up and down and grabbed her hand, pulling her out the door."

"Wait! Who invited us? Whose party is it?" Autumn turned to look innocently a Raleigh and she now know why she had that coy smile earlier.

"Effron Walker." Then she bounced out the door and down the hall, leaving Raleigh to chase after her, demanding details.

Effron Walker.

What was there to say about him except that he was insanely gorgeous, standing six foot three, well built with broad shoulders, and normally dark chocolate hair that had practically been bleached by the California sun. He had a nice, even tan and beautiful emerald eyes. Not only was he great to look at, he was great to talk to. His voice was smooth and even and he was incredibly intelligent to boot.

Effron was the guy every girl wanted and every guy wanted to be. It was impossible to hate him. Much like herself, he wasn't from California. He had grown up in Australia and his dad moved them to LA after his mother died when he was eleven years old. His slight accent just made him all the more appealing.

Not to mention, he had been interested in Raleigh. Just the thought of what could happen at the party with him made her wish it was already time to go. She would never get too serious with him because she was still very much in love with Josh and knew they would get married eventually, but they weren't together right now. Raleigh wanted to have some fun, and so she would.

"So what time are we going tonight?" Raleigh asked as she browsed through some tops, trying find something Autumn would approve of. "Oh this is cute." She plucked the top off the rack and held it up to herself. Facing Autumn, she asked, "What do you think?"

"We're leaving at nine and you are not wearing that!"

"Oh come on!"

"Raleigh, its hideous! And peach." Autumns face contorted into one of pure disgust and Raleigh had to laugh as she hung it back on the rack.

"I'm sorry that my tastes don't match yours. Can't I just go to hot topic?"

"No you can not. How about this? It would look really cute with a pair of dark jean capris."

"Oh and those shoes I just spent fifty bucks on. We have a winner!"

Autumn laughed as she watched Raleigh twirl with the top held up against her. "girl, you are straight trippin'."

"No, I'm excited!"

"Oh right,. Because of a certain someone who invited you to his party."

"Come on, Autumn. Every girl in the entire school wants him. You know very well that if he were into you you'd be much worse than me."

"I know, but its not me is it? Therefore I can rip on you about it as much as I want."

Raleigh couldn't even form a come back she was so excited. So she just hummed the song playing over the store's speakers and kept looking through the racks for something for Autumn to wear tonight. Along with all the excitement Raleigh felt, she also felt nervous. Josh was the only guy she had ever been with, that she counted. James didn't matter and she tried to keep herself from thinking about that one night nearly eight months ago. Could she really just do a hook up without it affecting her? She was good at pretending nothing was wrong and could probably pass for being happy Josh was in New York seeing other girls, most likely Erin O'Mally. Just thinking about the girl made her skin crawl. She knew Erin wanted Josh and would stop at nothing to get him and she was pretty sure he was telling the truth when he said he had never been with or wanted Erin. But it still bothered the hell out of her knowing she got to see him everyday while she was stuck on the other side of the country, literally. But tonight, she was going to forget all that. She was going to get dressed up, party with her new friends, and have a great time, possibly with Effron Walker.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc college