Slowly seeping into consciousness, Raleigh realized she had woken up this way far too much in the past week. Her head throbbing from too much alcohol, her nose and throat burning from so much coke, waking up on an unfamiliar bed with an unfamiliar arm wrapped around her waist. As she slowly opened her eyes, she found that this place was familiar, as was the arm that was wrapped around her waist. It belonged to Dan. The man she'd run to the night before. Had they made up? She couldn't remember. All she could remember was crying, demanding to know why he did what he did. And slapping him.

She'd never hit anyone in her life.

Except for Jenny in the third grade, but in her opinion, that bitch had it coming to her.

Slowly and carefully Raleigh turned over so she was now facing Dan. Not once had she ever woken up before him. She'd never been able to watch him sleep. He looked so peaceful, portraying the innocence of a little boy. The same innocence Raleigh wished she could possess once again.

A soft curl had fallen over his forehead, and very softly she reached out and smoothed it back with the rest of his soft, dark hair. She allowed her hand to linger there as she tried to memorize his face just like it was. Every small freckle you wouldn't know was there until you've been this close to him. Even line, the curve of his lips as he smiled in his dreams. God, but the man was gorgeous.

Running her hand slowly down his bare arm, Raleigh outlined each curve of every muscle. Once she came to his hand, she entwined her fingers with his, continuing to take in his beautiful face. She felt overcome with feelings she had never felt for another man who wasn't Josh and it made her worry. As she looked down to the hand she had laced with his, she frowned at the ring that sat there, sparkling gloriously in the dim morning's sun rays.

What about Josh?

What about everything they'd been through? But then again, what about trust? He said he could trust her, but he didn't know everything she was doing. She'd told him about Effron, but also that it was over. She could have never brought herself to say anything about her relationship with Dan, or even the drugs. She knew she could trust Josh back in NYU, but she didn't. Erin was there and she was a very pretty girl. Josh had already been tempted and tasted. Would he again?

She didn't want to hurt him. But what was she supposed to do? Did she even have to say anything? All the ring was, was a promise that they'd be together again. Someday.

Someday wasn't today. They weren't together, she was free to live her own life and be with whoever she wanted. That person was lying right beside her, sleeping like a baby. Would she ever want to be with Josh again? Raleigh loved him, she knew she always would. But when he'd come to LA for her birthday, something had changed. As happy as she was to be with him again, as much as she truly did love him, she knew she wasn't in love with him anymore. And as much as she hated to admit it, she couldn't ignore her heart screaming that they'd had their chance. And it ended when he left for NYU and sent that letter. She had forgiven him long before she admitted it to anyone and she thought it had been because she knew she loved him and they would be together no matter what. But now she knew that it would have been only a matter of time before life tore them apart.

A part of her wished that they could just go back to the way things were when they were kids in little Shelby Forrest, not caring about anything but each other. Back to the first time he held her and they made love. Back to sneaking out behind their parents' backs and meeting at the lake, coming home at obscene hours of the night just to see her mom and dad waiting up for her only to say go to bed, we'll deal with it in the morning. She'd been grounded more times than she could count because she refused to stop seeing him.

Joshua Scott Chasez.

As a child she had imagined out their entire wedding numerous times, each different in their own way. Once on the beach of the lake, once in a far away place made just for them. No matter how many different ways she dreamed it up, the bride and groom had always been the same. Thinking back on it now, Raleigh felt the sadness that swept over her entire body at knowing one of those dream weddings might not become a reality. She might never be Raleigh Jean Chasez.

What hurt most of all was finally being able to let go of all those dreams and moving on. She and Josh had had their time. Now it was time for her to be with Dan

Maybe they would be together again later on down the road, maybe they wouldn't. But Raleigh had to go her own way and do what was best for her. Regardless of how selfish that made her feel.

"How can I love you so much yet know so little about you?" She whispered to the sleeping man before gently placing her lips on his. She held the kiss for only a few seconds before she eased off the bed and went into the bathroom. The large whirlpool bathtub, that looked more like a hot tub than a bath, seemed to call to her. She began running the hot water and, after finding some bubble bath and pouring a bunch in, she undressed and eased into the hot, welcoming water.

She just lay there, relaxing in the sudsy water, allowing it to wash away all of her fears and doubts about the future. She soaked in the wonderful water until the bubbles were nearly gone and the water had run cold before she got out and clothed herself in a pair of Dan's boxers and one of his wife beaters. She couldn't help but to revel in the smell of them. The clean smell of the laundry soap he used was intoxicating. He never wore after shave or cologne so he always smelled of his laundry soap. She loved it.

Leaving his master bedroom, Raleigh headed down the stairs and to the kitchen to make some much needed coffee. She had to stop the binge drinking and drugs. She didn't like who she became when she was wasted. She did too many things she couldn't remember, and that scared her more than anything.

When the wonderful smelling liquid finished brewing, Raleigh poured herself a cup, black, and headed out to the backyard and sat down on the bench on the patio near the large in-ground pool. She loved Dan's house. It was big, but not insanely monstrous, and even though he was the only one who lived there, he'd made it a home. Not just a cold shell of a house, but a real, warm and cozy home. It was the type of place she'd love to live in after she got out of school.

She set her mug on the table next to her and brought her knees up to her chest. As she wrapped her arms around them, she reveled in the cool morning air. She loved morning. Most of the world was still sleeping so it was quiet. The sun was just barely peaking out so the sky was brilliant shades of pinks and oranges. With the palm trees all around, Raleigh would have loved to paint the image of the sunrise. If only she had some brushes, an easel, paint and talent for painting. She may have had a gift when it came to singing and writing music, but when it came down to being an actual artist, she downright sucked. But one couldn't be great at everything.

As she sat there, lost in her thoughts just watching the sun rise into the sky, she jumped nearly out of her seat at the feel of Dan's hands on her shoulders.

"I'm sorry, did I startle you?" She felt his smile as he leaned down and planted a kiss on her neck. "You smell delicious. Like vanilla."

"I took a bath." Dan walked around the bench and sat beside her, pulling her to lean into him. She gave in willingly.

"You're up early."

"I know. I woke up and was ready to start my day." She let a small laugh out before continuing. "Well, in a manner of speaking." Right there, leaning against him, his arms wrapped around her, Raleigh hadn't felt so content in a long time. She felt like she had just come home after a very long, and hard, trip. He may have been older and her instructor, but she belong with him. She could feel it down to her very core. But that didn't change the fact that they needed to talk.

"Dan?" She whispered as though she would destroy the beautiful scenery if she spoke any louder.

"Mm?" He hummed, his chin resting on top of her head.

"You know we need to talk some things out, right?"

"You still want to know why I ended whatever it was we had, right?"

Regretfully pulling out of his warm embrace, Raleigh turned to look at him as she took his hands in her own. "I need to know why you would if its this obvious you want us to be together. If you didn't you would have kicked me out last night."

"I do want us to be together. And while it is true that it would be better for us to not be together considering my job and your education, that wasn't the reason I did what I did."

"Then what was?" Did she really want to know? For the first time in a while, Raleigh's mind was suddenly filled with the image of the picture on Dan's nightstand. The face of that woman smiling up through the photograph of a time that had apparently been great. Then she remembered that telephone call she'd witnessed between him and some woman named Leslie. The woman he'd offered no explanation for. The woman he told he loved.

Was she his reasoning?

Looking down at their entwined hands, Raleigh felt like a fool. But still, she had to know. "Is it Leslie?"

"What?" The shock on his face made her feel even worse, but she really hadn't been prepared for the loud, boisterous laughter that came from his mouth. Why was he laughing at her? "I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh but...oh man. I meant to tell you about her when I got back that night but you were so into the movie I just forgot."

‘Here it comes,' she thought. He was going to tell her they were a couple and she had been nothing but a toy for his amusement.

"Leslie's my cousin."

"What?" She mimicked his voice from just moments before. She certainly hadn't been prepared for that.

"Yeah. Her mom took off when she was still a baby and her father, my uncle, died when we were nine. My parents took her in and she's been the closest thing I'll ever have to a sister. I've been watching out for her since we were fifteen." Feeling her face redden with embarrassment, Raleigh hid it in her hands.

"I'm such an idiot." Regardless, she felt herself laugh at her own stupidity as he peeled her hands away from her face.

"No, you're not." His smile faltered as he looked down and she felt him playing with the ring on her finger. She suddenly knew why he had done it. "I did it because of this. Because of who gave it to you and the reasoning behind it."

Meeting his sad greens eyes, Raleigh understood for the first time. He thought they were engaged. That as soon as she left Hollywood Academy of the Arts, she would be devoting her life to Josh. While at one point that had been true, it wasn't anymore. And she had to assure him of that.

"Dan, we're not engaged."

"You're not?" He looked so completely adorable when he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"No." She shook her head. "This was a promise that we'd be together when we finished school."

"Was?" She didn't miss the hopeful tone in his voice and it made her smile.

"I don't want that anymore. You breaking off whatever we'd had made me realize what it is that I really want."

"And what is it that Raleigh Coons wants?" Dan leaned forward and Raleigh did the same, their mouths mere inches from one another.

"To be with you. In a real relationship." She whispered causing a huge grin to pass over his gorgeous mouth.

"I want the same thing."

Dan put a hand on the back of her neck, gently pulling her towards him until their mouths met. Raleigh encircled her arms around his neck and tangled her hand in his curls. The kiss was slow and passionate, igniting every single nerve she possessed on fire. His mouth was hot and wet, his tongue felt amazing as it slid past her lips and in to massage with her own tongue. His hands felt like molten lava as they ran up her bare back below the beater. He pressed her into him allowing her to feel just what she did to him. She completely melted into him, giving into her every desire as they coursed through her. She wanted him.

God, how she wanted him.

She'd never known this feeling before. She'd never wanted a man this bad before. She wanted him to take her up to his bed, undress her slowly, tease her and make her scream for him to make love to her before he finally gave in, slowly bringing her to a climax releasing a complete state of euphoria that would have her seeing stars.

Pulling away from the kiss, Raleigh put her mouth beside his ear and as she tried to catch her breath, she whispered the words that sent chills up and down his spine.

"Make love to me."

Tightening his arms around her waist, Dan lifted her up, carrying her into the house and up to his bedroom. He gently laid her on the bed, never breaking their kiss. As she had wanted, he'd made slow, sweet torturous love to her, bringing her up twice before finally letting go of himself.

Thoughts of how much he loved this girl turned woman within a few short months wracked his brain. A few times he had to swallow back the words. Could he tell her that he was in love with her after such a short time? How would she react? It was now obvious that she truly did care about him, but did she love him the way he loved her?

After he was sure she had fallen asleep, he got out of bed and pulled on his boxers before leaving the bedroom. Going down to the study, Dan picked up the telephone and dialed Scott's home number. He knew he wouldn't be at the college today but he knew he'd do him the favor of finding someone to cover his five and seven o'clock classes. He'd just gotten Raleigh back, he wasn't leaving her yet.

Of course his old friend was ecstatic to find out that he had been right and told Dan to spend some time with her. He'd take care of everything. After thanking the man, Dan hung up and went to the kitchen to make a late breakfast and some fresh coffee. He wished he could take her out like real couple, but the threat of losing his job was still too real. He'd have to wait until Christmas vacation or spring break when he could whisk her off somewhere where nobody knew them. Until then they'd just have to stick with his home.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc college