I went to bed as soon as I was free of work. After the lovely porno in the elevator, I really needed a nice and long night’s sleep. I did everything I could to keep from getting sick right there and then. Gia was already asleep when I checked into the hotel room so I didn’t have to come in with a happy face. I fell asleep the immediately and was supremely disappointed when I felt Gia shake me awake, “Rise and shine brown eyes. You have a cd signing to get to today.”

I rolled over in bed onto my back and look up at Gia, who has a humorous look on her face, “He brought a girl back to his room didn’t he?”

I cover my face with my hands, “It’s that obvious huh?”

I hear Gia laugh as she moves from the side of the bed, “I had the very same look on my face when I was exposed to his transgressions for the first time. In time it won’t even faze you.”

I sit up in bed, “Doesn’t that kind of thing worry you? It’s like your being indoctrinated and told this is how life is and we should accept it when in our hearts we know how wrong this is. I can’t imagine what it feels like to be those girls who thought they were getting the fairy tale being with him and come to find out in the morning it’s anything but.”

Gia pulls on her boots, “It’s rough for them. Occasionally you’ll see a girl hysterically crying when he finishes with her and it does cause you to wonder what they expected with a celebrity, but that comes with the job. The trick is to deal with it, not accept it I think.”

I rub my eyes tiredly and head for the bathroom to take a quick shower. I’m out within five minutes and pull my hair up into a pony tail before running down and waiting in the lobby. I check my blackberry for the stop we have to make today as I ingest a breakfast sandwich. I’m used to eating on the run and Dunkin Doughnuts and McDonalds is a must for breakfast on the run. I always grab something with egg for the protein to keep me going all day since stops are rare unless the celebrity in question requests a stop.

I tap my foot to the pounding beat coming from the speakers above my head when I see two security guards escorting a young girl from the building. The men stand on either side of her and as they pass me the girl makes eye contact with me. It’s the same girl from last night, only lust no longer is found in her brown eyes. Hurt and shame replace the previous night’s facial features and as our eyes meet, she brings her arms up over her chest to cover herself from exposing her very present cleavage to the world. Her demeanor is that of a scared little girl rather than the sex kitten last night and she looks lost. Aren’t we all.

Of course I’m a little more emotional when it comes to this girl as I continue to look at her. Blonde hair, blues eyes and a similar face flashes me back to Sarah. But what really gets me is the whole picture, this girl being carried out like the trash. Used and abused. I quickly wipe the tears away with my index finger and blink a few times.

I watch as security throws her out and wonder how he feels about what he does or if he even realizes what he’s doing. The elevator doors open in front of me and Justin emerges, talking to Johnny. He comes over to me and I hand him his breakfast as he sits down.

“Belinda, where do I have to be today?” he asks nonchalantly as he eats his breakfast.

This guy is the biggest dick I have ever worked with. How many names is he going to call me that start with the letter B before he finally lands on mine?

“It’s Bethany and you are going to be at FYE for a cd signing, then you have an interview with Rolling Stone. After that you are free to do what you want until seven when the bus leaves for New York.”

Justin doesn’t respond, choosing to address Trace as he comes into the lobby and throw him a bagel, “You’re late.”

“Sorry man, had to deal with an emotional girl who didn’t understand why she wasn’t going on tour with us after last night.”

Justin laughs and takes another bite of his French toast. I step away from them as I throw away the rest of my breakfast, my appetite suddenly leaving me. I check the time and drink the rest of my orange juice before turning to the playboys, “We have to leave now.”

Justin gets up with Trace and follow me out to the SUV waiting for us. I get in the front seat and let the body guard sit down next to the guys. I realize that I won’t be able to avoid being with them forever, but I can at least try for the time being. Personally I think I have gotten high way too many times off of those two and for once I’m going to sit away from them and there immaturity.

My phone rings and I answer it, “Bethany Addison.”

“Miss Addison, this is Rich from FYE, we were wondering if you were on time.”

I glance at the street signs to see where we are, “We are about ten minutes from arriving. Mr. Timberlake requested that there be extra security when he arrives for protection out front.”

“Fine, we will need help with setting up his cd promotion that will be by where he’s sitting.”

I sigh. God forbid anyone over there be any use at all and do what there paid to do. If you want something to do, you have to do it yourself, “I’ll do that.”

“Good, see you in ten.”

I hang up and rest my back against the seat, enjoying my last few minutes of piece.

________________________________________________________________

We arrive at FYE and security opens the door for me. The girls waiting outside let out blood curdling screams as they are held off so I can get inside. There is a table set up with a huge picture of Futuresex/Lovesounds in the background. A cardboard setup where my cds are supposed to be displayed are yet to be assembled and there are no pens or water for me. I look over for what’s her name and she’s busy opening the box of my cds.

“Hey, how am I supposed to sign autographs without a pen.” I say with annoyance.

She brushes her hair from her eyes, and looks up from setting up the display case. The other assistant who works here rolls her eyes. I she worked for me, I would fire her for that kind of crap. She gets up off her knees and glances at the table to discover what I already know. There are no pens.

“I’ll go get them.” She says slowly, trying to keep her cool.

“I also need something to drink!” I call after her.

I go over and sit in the provided chair, waiting for the girl to return. I tap my fingers on the table until she returns, setting the pens down on the table harshly and hands me a cup of coffee. She goes back over to the display and starts to put my cds in them. While she does that, I take a bottle of alcohol out of my pocket that I took from the mini bar and pour the whole thing into the cup.

I watch as the girl, frozen on her knees in mid movement, looking at me with bewilderment. I stare at her angrily for a moment but she doesn’t seem to be getting the message, so I flip her off. She snaps out of it and goes back to doing what I pay her to do.

Trace comes over and sits down next to me as some guy who has this whole thing scheduled comes over to me, “Mr. Timberlake, I’m Max Cornel. We will be opening the doors in a few minutes and you’ll only be here for two hours. Is your assistant here?”

“Becca, come here.”

She sighs and comes over to us and Max introduces himself, “Hi, I’m Max.”

“I’m Bethany.” She says, correcting me as well as enunciating every syllable.

Oh that girl is on thin ice.

“Bethany, what a pretty name.” Max says, holding her hand way too long.

Oh right. She could have the name mud and he’d tell her it was beautiful. I sigh loudly to get her attention and shake my cup in her face, “I need more.”

“You drank that all?” she says in shock.

“DO you think I would be waving my cup in your face if I didn’t? Get me more and make sure it’s hot this time.”

Bethany grabs the cup from my hand and goes off to get me more. Max gives me a look, but I just smile smugly. He wants to play footsie with her, he can do it on her off time. Until then, she works for me.

The doors are opened and people start coming in. Screams come flowing through the store and I shudder inside. Unless one of them is willing to get me off, they had better get their asses in and out the door. Here we go. _______________________________________________________________

I curse all the way to and from Starbucks at the misery that is my life. Of all the arrogant, self-absorbed asses in the world, I got stuck with this one.

I walk into the store again as I see Justin smiling with that phony smile and I go up behind him, putting his coffee in front of him. Let’s see him get liquor in that baby while his pubescent fans watch. I wonder if I called up TBS funny they would tell me to laugh out loud or not. This would make a wonderful commercial anyway.

For two hours I stood on my feet as he played nice with his fans. I helped clean up the place when everything was set and done while Justin chatted some girl up. Then I got the unbridled pleasure of having to escort him to his interview and watch Trace flirt with some of the girls waiting to catch of glimpse of the Magnificent Wonder. He finally emerges and we take the car back to the hotel where the bus is waiting for him.

The car stops and Justin gets off with Trace and board the plane. I grab my stuff from the hotel room and throw everything into my luggage as Gia comes in, “Hey, how was your day?”

“Don’t ask.”

Gia laughs, “That’s why I never took the job as his assistant. One, I’m half black and I would kick his ass the moment he went diva, and second I wouldn’t be here if I did. The only reason he puts p with me is that I work for Johnny.”

She puts her arm around my shoulder, “Come on, we can drive together.”

I pull on a denim jacket that you need in New England during early spring, “That would be great. You know sometimes I wonder what I’m doing with my life.”

“To keep a roof over our heads.” Gia says, tossing me a water bottle as we exit the room.

My cell starts to ring and I look at it, a smile spreads across my face and answer it, “Hey sport.”

“Belle I miss you!” Sam says, excitement in his voice.

“How’s school going?”

“It’s good. I got an A on my science experiment.”

“That’s great, I’m so proud of you! How’s mom.”

“Oh, you know, the usual. Since I made the basketball team this year I have made eleven threes. I actually knock them down now”

“Good for you. All that time playing in the driveway finally paid off huh?” “Yep. My last game is two weeks from Monday. I don’t suppose you could come?”

I sniff softly, “You know I can’t do that bud, I have to work.” Sam sighs, “I know, just thought I would ask. Don’t worry about it.”

“Your coming to see me when school ends. I’ll fly you to wherever I am and we’ll spend the day together, I promise.”

Someone calls my name and I turn around to see the crew trying to get everybody out of here, “Okay buddy, listen I have to go but I will call you in the morning, I promise.”

“Okay, love you.”

“Love you too.”

And just like that my day has turned around. I never knew how much one phone call could be so important until I started this line of work. Gia put it best, though she didn’t know it, the phone is my lifeline.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant