Chapter 5

"Justin get excited. Come on, it's BSU Fundraising Week!"

Justin took in the bright smile on Judy's face before lowering his shades over his eyes. He had been right when he said she was a nerd. She'd had him up till 2am the night before making packets and timelines about Black History. Do you have any idea how long it takes to make a timeline dating back from 1667 that includes every single advancement made by African Americans? Well, now Justin did, and it was because of it that he slept through 2nd and 3rd period.

"Justin, you're not helping," Judy's voice was slightly irritated.

"Helping with what? You're not doing anything."

"Helping to educate the people. The student body isn't going to come to us, we have to go to them. You should be up and passing things out to students with the other members of BSU."

Justin put a hand over his eyes to shield himself from the sun and looked up at her from his chair.

"If we have to go rally the people, how come you're standing here?"

"Duh, someone has to keep an eye on the booth."

"Well, I would be out there but there's one problem with that. Remember reading a little booklet about the rules of this thing? One of them said I can't go anywhere without you, so I can't go rally the people unless you come rally the people too. So unless you find someone to man the booth, I'm staying right here."

Judy raised an eyebrow.

"What's up your butt today?"

"I got 2 hours of sleep last night. I'm alittle irritated."

"You get used to it," she said, pulling more packets from her briefcase and setting them on the table, "A small price to pay for having furthered your education that much more."

"Yes, because I'm sure one day someone's going to ask me who was the 167th black man to be sighed into the NFL. I'll look back on last night be so happy we stayed up late figuring it out."

"Don't mock my history mister," she pointed a finger at him.

She goffed when his attention was already taken away as a group of Sophomores strutted past them on their way into the 700 hall. Judy rolled her eyes and turned back to the packets laid out before her.

* * *

"Do you know what today is?" She asked in a singsong voice as she lead him through the Science hall.

"Uh... a school day?"

"No, it's Monday, the day before JC's album comes out!"

He made a face at her squeal.

"Hey, you're his bestfriend, you've heard it right? What's it like? How does he sound? Are there any slow songs? Someone said it was really 80's, is that true?"

Justin stared at her for a moment before he blinked and made a face.

"What is with all the questions? Do I look like JC Chasez too you?"

"Lucky for you, no. I would have molested you by now."

"You would molest JC?"

"Oh!" Her face seemed to light up at the idea. "I would do the most obscene things to his body."

She was licking her lips with a smile. Justin looked genuinely frightened.

"Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like that," she pointed to his face, "Like I'm some weirdo psycho chick or something."

"I wasn't looking at you like that, I was just thinking, 'Hmm, so MTV set me up with a stalker who's going to follow me home after all this is over....'"

"I am not!" she smacked his arm. "You're just jealous I'm not after your body."

"Right," they reached the classroom they were looking for and he opened the door for her, "cause I want obscene things done to me in the middle of the night."

"I knew you were freaky."

"So glad you could join us Judy," Stephanie turned to them as she stood at the front of the room.

"Sorry, it was Justin's fault."

"What?!"

The pair sat down in the back. Justin slouched in his chair while Judy sat up straight, pulling out her 'Club Notebook' fully prepared to take notes. They were attending a Spectrum meeting, the clubs purpose was to defend gay rights and provide a link between straight and gay students. Judy was all into it, and had even lectured him after he described something as being 'gay'. Justin however, while he didn't have anything against gay people and had attended several GLAAD functions, didn't know that he really want to be so involved with 'the fight' as they put it.

"So I was thinking last night," Jennifer, the club co-president spoke, "and I came up with the idea for us to do a play called 'The Aftermath' about the death of Andrew Shepard."

There was murmuring between the club members. Justin could physically see the excitement rolling through Judy's body.

"It's being done in lots of high schools throughout the country, it's being very well received. I'm thinking the students of CVHS would really appreciate it."

"I think that's a great idea," a girl named Parrish raised her hand, "I would love to direct that if it's something we decide to go through with."

Judy's eyes momentarily narrowed before opening wide again, and a smile gracing her face. Justin knew Judy didn't like that girl, apparently they had been bestfriends years ago, until Parrish suddenly changed and dropped Judy. Judy never completely let it go. The club members continued talking about it for a few minutes before someone slipped in a recorded tape of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and everyone spread out into their own conversations.

"Justin!" Judy grabbed his arm, jolting him out of his sleep, "Can you believe it? It's that awesome?"

"Yeah, sure." What was she talking about again?

Her eyes rolled and she ignored his lack of enthusiasm, "I'm just telling you now, I want a leading role in this play. Oh! I have the best idea!"

Her pen began scribbling feverishly on her note pad joting down idea after idea. Justin settled back into his chair and pulled his hat down over his eyes. He was glad Judy found something to be excited about now that they were half done with BSU's fundraising week-thank God!- but he couldn't see this translating into anything other than long hours for him.

* * *

"Hello?"

"Judy?"

"Hey Krystal. What's going on?"

"What are you doing?"

"Going home so Justin can go to sleep and stop being cranky."

He stuck his tongue out as he flipped through the stations on the radio.

"What are you doing tonight?"

That question made Judy alittle suspicious. Krystal was never this interested in Judy's day.

"Why?"

"Wanna go to the movies?"

"Why?"

"I kinda told this guy you would meet him there."

"Why?!"

"Judy just listen-."

"No, I'm not going."

"Hold up, hold up, just listen. His name is Ben, I've known him for a while. He's Jamal's friend."

Was she supposed to know who Jamal was?

"He's nice guy and you guys would hella get along. I told him about how you've been wanting to see that movie 'Against the Ropes' and just kinda set it up for you."

"You set me up on a blind date the day I'm supposed to go on it?"

Justin's ears perked up at that. Judy had a date? Bow-chica-bow-wow.

"Sorta."

"Krystal!"

"Just go see the movie with him, I promise you won't regret it. Please. He's already planning on driving up from Fremont to meet you."

A puff of air left Judy's mouth as she smacked her hand against the steering wheel.

"Fine, fine, whatever."

Justin watched as the conversation quickly ended before he wiggled his eyebrows at her.

"Someone got a date?"

"Yes," she sighed, "some dude I don't know is expecting to meet me at the movies tonight."

"Sounds like fun."

"If you say so."

"So, who's my date?"

"You!" Judy turned to look at him, "I forgot about you, Krystal didn't say he was bringing anyone."

"You want me to play the third wheel on your blind date?"

She grimaced, "Sorry."

"You suck Judy."

* * *

"You really suck."

"Stop whining."

Justin continued pouting to himself as he followed Judy through the parking lot and up to the movie theater.

"Look for a guy in a blue 'Bayou' shirt. Krystal said that's what he'll be wearing."

Justin put in minimal effort, glancing about 10 feet to his right and then shrugging in response.

"Judy?"

She spun to her left and looked at the tall figure with uncertainty.

"Ben?"

"Hi," he held his hand out to her.

"Hi."

Justin made a face to himself when he realized Judy liked him right away. Instantly she was adorable and flirty and giggly. Ben was tall with blonde hair buzzed down to a 1/4 of an inch and blue eyes. He was slim and fit with muscular arms.

"How are you?" Ben asked politely.

"I'm good, thanks. How are you?"

"A lot better now that I know I'm not being stiffed."

"Stiffed?" She didn't know what that was.

"Stood up."

"Ah. I'm sorry. I couldn't find clothes to wear."

"It's cool. You look really nice."

Judy blushed, "Thanks. So do you."

Ben flashed a smile. Justin rolled his eyes.

"Well, the show doesn't start for another 20 minutes so, do you wanna go sit inside?"

"Sure, but I still have to buy tickets."

"I already did," he pulled three tickets from his pockets.

"Well, thank you. That's so nice of you."

Justin frowned and cleared his throat, reminding the two he was still standing there.

"Oh sorry, Ben this is Justin. He's doing this TV show-."

"Krystal explained it all to me on the phone. Hi," he offered his hand to Justin.

After shaking hands, Ben gave them each their ticket then offered his arm to Judy and lead her inside, Justin trailing behind. They sat down at a small table and the two began small talk. Judy learned that he was 21 years old and was on workman's comp because of a back injury. But it wasn't exactly a bad thing because now he was free to spend all his time working out. He had just passed his written test for the Air Force and was getting ready for his physical test next month.

Judy was visibly swooning as she told him alittle about herself. She talked about things at school and explained that she had dabbled in modeling and acting alittle. He acted impressed.

Justin gagged. This guy was a weirdo, he could feel it. He was acting all nice and pretending to be interested in what she was saying. And never once did his eyes slip down to her cleavage, a task Justin was doing terrible at. Justin had played this game with a girl dozens of times, and his intentions were never honorable. Yep, this guy had crap written all over him.

It was time for the movie and Ben lead Judy to the theater by putting his arm around her shoulders, after offering to get her something to eat ofcourse.

"Where do you want to sit?" he asked.

"In the middle."

"Well, there's a lot of rows in the middle."

"While you two figure it out, I'm gonna go grab a seat in the back."

The last thing he wanted to do was sit next to Judy and watch them make googly eyes at eachother. Justin stalked off before Judy could protest, Steve followed. He watched as Judy lead Ben to a row almost exactly in the middle, and then bounced back and forth between two seats, trying to pick which one was best. Ben finally bumped her into a seat with his hip before sitting down next to her. Halfway through the movie Justin spotted Judy moving the arm rest up so she could lean against him.

Justin pretended to vomit to the camera playfully. When the movie ended the couple exchanged numbers and talked about going out again. Ben kissed her on the cheek and nodded to Justin before heading off to his car. Judy watched him for a second before slowly beginning the walk to her Mustang, Justin speeding a head of her.

She was quiet the whole way home but an idiot could tell she was happy. She had a smile plastered to her face and she bobbing her head back and forth to the music.

"What's got you so happy? What are you thinkin'?"

Judy turned to him.

"Holy blue eyes."

Justin smiled, "Well thanks I-."

"Did you see his eyes Justin? Holy St. Petersburg they were beautiful."

"Like I go around checkin out guys."

She went back to her happy little world and Justin bit down on his bottom lip.

"You seriously thought that dude was cute?"

"I think he was a doll. He was adorable."

Justin bit on his bottom lip again.

"You don't think his nose was alittle crooked?"

"Justin!"

"Well, he's going into the Air Force, I guess no one will be able to tell with that big ass helmet on."

"Justin Randall, you should be ashamed of yourself," she sounded like his mother, "I liked that guy."

"That guy was four years older than you."

"So?"

"So you're 17. You should be with a teenage boy."

"I find that insulting. Seventeen year old girls have nothing in common with 17 year old boys. That's why most 17 year old boys are dating 14 or 15 year old girls and most 17 year old girls are dating 19 or 20 year old guys."

"Nineteen or 20, not 21. Plus that guy was weird."

"That guy was very nice, and that guy said I was beautiful."

Was she starved for attention or something?

"Well, there are plenty of 18 year old guys out there who will think you're beautiful once they see this show."

"Well, then until they come callin' I think I'll stick with this one."

"But he's 21."

"You keep saying that like it's going to suddenly change my mind or something."

"He's a grown man."

"I can't believe we're arguing about this. This from a man who was checking out a 14 year old yesterday."

"Hey, she did not look 14. First of all she atleast 6 feet tall."

"Yada yada yada Justin."

"Besides, I stopped right after you told me her age."

Judy gave him a look.

"All right, I stopped a few minutes after you told me her age."

* * *

"I can't place my finger on it but there's something about that guy. I don't like him."

"But you said she liked him?"

"Yeah but she's only 17, she's not as experienced as he is. She was playing right into his hands, battin her eyelashes and shit."

"Well, man, if she likes him there's not a whole lot you can do about it."

"But he's 21," he couldn't hold back the whine, "Why is he looking for a relationship with a 17 year old? She's still in high school."

"Didn't you say she looked like she was about 22?"

"Besides the point Trace. Plus he's joining the military. He'll go off to bootcamp and then be shipped off somewhere and she'll be stuck back here."

"I think you're puttin entirely too much thought into her love life and not enough into your own. Atleast she's getting some play, what do you got?"

"Hey, I got plenty of play. Just most of these people are under age."

"Excuses excuses. I say leave her alone. When this is over you'll come back here to your life and she'll still be there so stay out of it."

Justin sighed and ran a hand over his scruffy chin.

"I guess you're right man. I'll leave it alone."

"Good."

"So whatelse is going on?"

"Not much, you know me."

"Yeah, how's my house?"

"Fine. Had a small flooding problem but it's-."

"Flooding problem? What flooding problem?"

"Just a broken pipe and some water-."

"Did you call my Mom?"

"What? You think I can't call a plumber on my own?"

"No," Justin snorted.

"Blow me dude, blow me."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers tourj school interracialj tvshowj abusiveex justin