Chapter 14

Justin didn't see Judy until well into the afternoon that next day. He woke up that morning and was immediately ushered to the golf course. It was a benefit for a children's foundation, and a few other celebrities were in attendance. Judy would have loved it, had it not been for their argument earlier.

He thought about what had happened all through the benefit, and it threw off his game. He didn't even make top three. He felt bad for what he had said. She wasn't acting slutty, she was acting like someone on the rebound. She'd just gotten out of the most serious relationship she'd had to far and all of a sudden here was this guy, with this glamorous profession, sweet talking her. Of course she was going to be interested. Besides, she had been drunk beyond recognition. She didn't know what she was doing. She'd been young, naïve, and plastered, and he'd humiliated her on TV.

As soon as he got the chance he was going to apologize. He didn't have the right to judge her the way he had. He needed to make sure that their friendship was okay, and still intact. He was also dying of curiosity to know what had happened behind that locked door.

However, finding Judy to apologize to her was a lot easier said than done. He went by the hotel after the golf gig, and knocked on her door only to receive no answer. When he got to the venue, she didn't show-up for the meet-and-greet. He was hoping he'd see her during dinner when he headed outside to where the BBQ was set-up. Justin half-filled a plate, more killing time so he'd have a chance to scan the large crowd for her face. But by the time he was done he still hadn't found her.

"Where is Judy?" He turned to Beth, who was next to him with her ever faithful camera.

Beth shrugged in response. Justin turned, looking over the crowd again. He saw Mason walking out through the double doors. Judy wasn't with him, but he certainly looked cheerful. He spotted Justin off to the side and gave his employer a smile. Justin felt rage beginning to seep down his spine.

Without saying a word Justin tossed his plate in a nearby garbage can and headed back inside, through the twisting halls to his dressing room, where he slammed the door shut. It only opened again and in walked Rachel and Trace, followed by Beth and Jon.

"What is your deal?" Trace asked. "Since when do you storm away from a BBQ spread?"

Justin sat down on the sofa with a sigh, dropping his head into his hands.

"I've been looking for Judy all day and I haven't seen her."

"Why are you looking? Are you going to apologize?"

Justin raised his head at Rachel's question and narrowed his eyes on her.

"Do you know where she is?" Justin asked.

"Apologize for what?" Trace asked.

"Maybe. But if you're looking for her so you can say more mean things to her than no, I don't."

"What mean things? Apologize for what?" Trace asked again, looking back and forth between them both.

"Rach, if you know where she went you better tell me right now."

"Or what? You'll call Auntie Lynn on me?"

"Hello?! Am I talking to myself here? What do you have to apologize for?"

Trace finally stepped between them, sick of being ignored and out of the loop. Justin let out a sigh and leaned back against the sofa.

"I called her a slut."

Trace's eyebrows raised.

"In the hallway last night, in front of everyone," Rachel added.

Trace's jaw dropped and he sat down in the chair opposite Justin.

"Man, and I thought my calling her a junkie was bad."

Justin's shoulders slumped. They weren't helping him feel any better.

"So are you going to apologize? You better be getting ready to apologize," Rachel pushed.

"Why did you say that?" Trace interjected.

"I don't know," Justin said earnestly. "She was trying to go to Mason's room, and it was 3am, and we had all been drinking, and she was wearing that dress."

"That's what you get for getting an 18 year old drunk," Trace scolded.

"I didn't get her drunk. That was Mr. Smooth Mason's plan to get her drunk."

"Don't blame this on the dress," Rachel interrupted. "This is your fault, not the dress' fault. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that come out of your mouth. That's not the Southern boy I know."

"I know, I know. I just overreacted. Horribly. She didn't deserve what I said."

"Then why did you say it? I don't understand where that came from."

Rachel sat down on the arm of the sofa next to him. Justin shook his head with a sigh.

"I just know what she's been through this past year. I don't want her getting mixed up with that jerk and then getting hurt again. She's not even over what happened the last time."

"Well how do you know she's getting mixed up with him? Did anything even happen last night?" Trace was trying to find a bright side.

"No." Rachel answered quickly.

Justin turned to look up at her.

"She was too upset over what you said to do anything with him, even if she had wanted too."

"So you have talked to her."

Rachel shrugged.

"If I tell you where she is, you promise you're going to use the information for good?"

Justin nodded.

"Last time I saw her, she was hiding out on the bus."

Justin stood, preparing to head out back to where the buses were parked. When he yanked the door open a stage hand was there, preparing to knock.

"Justin, they need you out on stage."

His conversation with Judy would have to wait, work was calling.

 * * *

Judy didn't show up to Justin's dressing up before the show, which meant no one had been there to rub his shoulders before he went on stage. Thankfully he was a seasoned enough performer that it didn't affect his show, but every time he went back stage to change or get water he had a moment to think about it.

When he boarded the bus afterwards to leave Las Vegas he skipped the shower and headed straight for the backroom. He opened the door, and it was dark. He turned, walking down the narrow hall to Judy's bunk. The curtain was pulled closed, as were Trace and Rachel's bunks. He could hear Trace's deep breathing, so he knew they were already sleeping.

"Judy?"

He knelt down by her bunks, speaking softly.

"Judy, are you awake?"

He waited for an answer, but none came. He felt bad waking her, but there was something he needed to get off of his chest. He pulled back one of the curtains, and was met with her pillow. The bunk was empty. Justin stood, and paused for a moment.

Where could she be? Did she get left behind in Las Vegas? Had she decided to ride on Mason's bus for the night? Had she jumped on a plane back to Central Valley? His mind began to reel with possibilities and he headed toward the front of the bus to tell the drive to stop, when he heard a cough.

It hadn't come from Rachel or Trace, the voice wasn't the same. It wasn't Mike. He was in the bathroom. That only left one person. Justin headed back towards the backroom, pushing open the door again. He flicked on the light and there was Judy, curled up on the sofa under a blue blanket.

He waited for her to sit up and look at him, but she didn't move. After a moment she let out a snore. Justin's eyes rolled dramatically.

"I know you're awake, Judy. You don't even sound like that when you snore."

Judy's eyes opened and he could see the annoyance bluntly written across her face as she sat up. He closed the door and moved to sit next to her.

"What is it?"

"Why have you been hiding out all day?"

Judy gave him a look, as if the answer wasn't obvious enough.

"You really need to ask?"

"No, I don't," he said.

He was silent for a bit, and Judy repeated her question.

"Well, what is it?"

"I need to tell you something. Judy, I'm sorry. I had no right to say what I said."

"No, you didn't."

She was staring hard at the carpet beneath her feet, and he could tell by her tone that she was still angry. Very angry.

"I didn't. And I'm sorry. I was trying to look out for you, and I took it entirely too far. I shouldn't have judged you like that."

"You embarrassed me is what you did."

He nodded, rubbing the stubble that was growing on his chin.

"I know. I'm sorry."

Judy sat there, arms folded across her chest. Finally her shoulders relaxed a little and she looked toward him. Not at him, but her head tilted in his general direction so he could see more of her face.

"Well, I appreciate your apology, but I'm still really, really angry with you."

"Okay."

"I just don't understand why you said that? I mean, I know you said you were looking out for me, but I wasn't doing anything wrong. We were gonna pay-per-view a movie. Besides, I'm 18. I'm old enough to make my own decision."

Inwardly Justin wanted to laugh. He remembered being 18 and thinking he knew all there was to know about the world. Now, at 23, he realized he didn't know shit.

"I know. I guess I was just concerned that you were going to do something you'd end up regretting. I told you, that guy is sleazy. And you're still a wreck from what Ben did to you. I didn't want you running to the next guy who flashed you a smile so you could get hurt again. I mean, do you really think you're ready for that kind of relationship?"

The truth was, while he was concerned about the stability of Judy's fragile heart, he'd been more jealous of Mason than anything. He paid far too much attention to Judy, and she was too eager to return the favor. He could see exactly where this was going. They'd hang out once in awhile, and then it'd turn into all day. Next she'd be talking to him on the phone all night during bus rides, and then she'd be crawling into his bed when she was lonely at night. That would leave him completely out of the picture, and that he absolutely could not have.

"I'm not a wreck," she defended. "And if I were planning on doing something with Mason, that's not really your business. You're my friend, not my Dad."

Justin perched his lips.

"You're right," he said dryly.

Judy went back to staring at the carpet, arms still tightly folded across her chest. Eventually she dropped them and began to pick at the chipping polish on her nails.

"But I guess it's good that you were trying to take care of me. I guess you had my interest in mind."

"Always," he said honestly, turning towards her. "I always have your best interest at heart. I just let it get the best of me, for a moment."

"Yeah," she said regretfully.

"Are you still really, really mad at me?"

Judy shrugged one shoulder.

"I guess now I'm just mad at you."

"Well, I got rid of the two really's. That's good I guess."

She smirked meekly.

"And the beginnings of a smile. That's good too."

"Stop!"

She pushed him away when he leaned in front of her, making a funny face by crossing his eyes. He always had a way of making her feel better, even when he was the problem.

"I hate you," she muttered.

"Does that mean I can have a hug?"

"No, you can't."

"Come on, just one?"

He didn't wait for her answer as he put his arms around her, squeezing her against her will and laying his head on her shoulder. Judy was squirming, trying to get one of her arms free so she could shove him off. He smiled, nonchalantly pinning her arms to her side as he relaxed again her.

"Get off me, you freak of nature."

"Ahh, there is it. I feel the love now."

 * * *

It was just past 5am when the bus pulled in behind a hotel in Fresno, CA. As was routine, Justin was pulled from his bunk and shuttled inside, followed by everyone else a few minutes later. Judy was practically a zombie as she wandered through the lobby behind Rachel. Her eyes were open, her body going through the motions, but nothing was quite making it to her brain.

Except for when she got off of the elevator on their floor. She began to get excited over the idea of being in a nice, quiet room all alone and sleeping in a real bed for a couple of hours. She swiped her key through the slot and opened the door, only to hear the shower running. She walked further into the room and there was Justin, digging through his toiletry bag. He looked up when he heard the door click closed.

"Hey there Jamba Juice."

Why did he always have a different variation of her horrid high school nickname?

"What are you doing in here?"

"Well, the hotel was booked up when we tried to add an extra room for you -probably fans trying to catch a glimpse of me - so, you and I get to bunk together tonight."

Judy stood there, staring at him with exhausted eyes.

"Unless you'd rather stay with Rach."

"No, you're fine."

Finally she moved. She collapsed on top of the bed. She didn't bother pulling down the blankets as she fluffed the pillows and laid her head down. Justin smirked at her.

"What are you doing? Go to bed."

He barely heard her words, muffled by a pillow.

"Can't. I've got an early photoshoot. I'd be in the shower, if I could only find my axe shower gel."

"Oh."

Well at least he was going to be leaving, and she could get some rest in peace.

"Well, say hello to Kevin Federline for me if you see him."

Justin's response was to throw his tube of toothpaste at her butt before he closed the bathroom door.

By 3pm that afternoon Justin Timberlake was behind schedule. Judy had made it to the venue before him, which had never happened before. With no Rachel to talk to and no Trace to ignore she wandered the halls aimlessly, her pass securely around her neck.

"Judy!"

She heard her name echo against the white concrete walls, and there was Mason, jogging towards her.

"Hey."

She gave him a casual hug when he reached her, and her heart fluttered at the smile he gave her.

"How are you doing?"

"Better. Sorry, again, for being such a drunken mess the other night."

Mason shrugged.

"Don't worry about it. I'm always happy to be a shoulder for a friend to cry on. So, did you talk to Justin?"

Judy nodded, tucking her black hair behind her ears.

"Yeah, we talked last night. He apologized for what he said."

"Good. He was kinda messed up for that. I know you two are good friends, and I don't want to come between you guys."

"You aren't," she assured. "Me and you are friends too. He was just acting like his usual self, the over protective big brother."

"Are you sure that's all it is?" Mason raised an eyebrow at her.

"What else would it be?"

He took in the innocent look on her face and smiled.

"Nothing. So, what are you doing right now?"

"Killing time. Justin isn't back from his shoot yet."

"Well, you wanna help me make my rounds?"

"Sure!" She answered immediately.

Mason offered his arm, leading her down the hall as she giggled delightfully. She walked with him as he went from station to station; making sure everything was running smoothly. They'd done the show enough times now that everyone knew their job and most of the kinks had been worked out.

She stayed with him for an hour, watching as he did his job from managing various workers, doing repairs on some of the set pieces, to meeting with the tour director to report what still needed to be done. Finally it was after 4pm and she knew Justin was there, because she had seen the meet-and-greet tour go by earlier, headed for an empty room where the Q&A would take place.

"I better get going," Judy said. "But thanks for letting me tag along. I would have been bored out of my mind without you."

"Sure. Thanks for keeping me company."

Judy smirked, and turned on her heels, heading down the hall towards the conference room.

"Hey Judy," he stopped her. "Can I ask you something?"

She turned, waiting patiently as we walked towards her, closing the distance between them.

"Would you maybe wanna go out tonight? I know this great restaurant I'd like to take you too. It doesn't have to be a date type thing, you know, unless you want it to be."

Judy chuckled on the inside at his nervousness. If he truly was the player Justin had claimed he was, he certainly wasn't acting like.

"Sure, I'd like that," she said.

His shoulders lowered with relief.

"And it can be a date type thing too."

"Great. How's eleven sound, right after the show?"

"Sounds great."

"Cool. I'll see ya."

"See ya."

As Judy walked away, the prospect of a new love interest in mind, she felt like she was floating on air. By the time she made it there, Justin was already seated at the front table, the entire room in a fit of giggles.

"Where do you guys hear this stuff?" He was asking.

A young man in skinny jeans and a black hoodie was standing, trying to contain his own laughter.

"I read it on the internet."

"The devil," Justin said simply, making the room laugh again. "No, no that is definitely not true. There is truth, whatsoever, to the Joshtin rumors."

Judy watched him, a smile creeping onto her face. He really was quite charming, when he wanted to be. He was casual, and relatable. She guessed that was what most of his fans liked about him. When she'd been a closet Nsync fan her attraction was to JC, she only gave Justin the time of day when he was doing something that displayed his abs or his biceps. But now, she completely understood his popularity, especially since she knew him personally. He had this way of talking to you that made you feel like you were the only one in the room, or like you were someone special to him. No wonder so many girls melted when he looked at them. It was like you were the only thing he saw.

"I'm sorry folks, that's all the time we have. If you'll please form a line over there behind the white tape, Justin will sign any memorabilia you have today."

Judy chose that time to walk over to him, bypassing the forming line.

"Well Timberlake, you certainly are the life of the party."

Justin smiled at her, signing the worn 1998 Nsync tour book a fan placed before him.

"Just doing my job. That is what the girls love me for, isn't it?"

"Not me. I love you for your witty remarks and ability to disgust me by how quickly you can devour a cheeseburger."

"Fastest gums in the West."

He punctuated his statement by biting at her playfully.

"So, I have great news."

"Hold that thought," he said.

Justin leaned forward, signing the push-up bra supported left breast of a 30-something year old woman. She smiled seductively before sauntering out of the room and toward the arena where the sound check would occur. Justin, ever so discreetly, watched from the corner of his eye until she turned the corner. He did have a thing for older women. Judy waited patiently, until finally she couldn't stand it.

"Are you done oogling yet?"

Justin sat back in his metal folding chair.

"You're being all feisty today. Your news must be something good."

"It is."

"Well, are you going to tell me or keep me in suspense?"

"Keep you in suspense. I'll tell you over dinner."

Before Justin could question, or begin that high-pitched whine of his, Judy left the room. She headed towards the venue floor, wondering which of her new outfits she was going to wear that night.

Dinner was at 7pm, out back in the arenas patio. Picnic tables were set up, one of them covered with a spread of Italian food. Pastas, sausages, red and white wines. As if any of them needed to drink on the job. Steve and Jon followed Justin and Judy as they made their plates, and then settled at a table in the corner.

"I'm gonna get a drink. You want one?"

Judy nodded a yes to Justin's question and watched as he disappeared towards the table. He returned a moment later, two short glasses in his hands. He set one down by his plate, and the other by hers, sitting down with one leg on either side of the bench.

"What'd you get?"

"Jack and coke for me."

"No wine?"

"Hey naw," he turned up his nose. "I don't drink that. Unless I'm in Napa."

"And what'd you get me?"

She picked up her glass and sipped it, expecting the burn of alcohol. It tasted plain.

"You just got coke."

"Why?"

"Because, when you drink you get crazy. And I don't need any little alchies running around backstage."

Judy gave him a sincere frown.

"So, what's the news you teased me with earlier?"

Judy grinned as she took a bite of fettuccini. She dropped her fork carelessly with a clank and turned to him.

"Guess what."

"What?"

"I have a date."

That made Justin pause, his spaghetti just barely touching his bottom lip before he set the fork down.

"A date?"

"Yes."

"With who? Wait, let me guess: Mason," he said Mason's name in a dreamy way, mocking the state Judy had been in all evening.

"Yes." She made her annoyance known with a roll of her eye. "He asked me this afternoon. We're going out tonight."

"Tonight? He isn't planning on leaving during the show, is he?"

Judy shook her head, taking another forkful into her mouth.

"No, we're going out after. There's some restaurant he wants to take me too."

Justin's head tilted, and he gave her a look that read 'do I look stupid?'

"That means you'll be leaving at like midnight. What restaurant is still accepting customers that late?"

Judy shrugged, chewing on a piece of garlic bread. Justin opened his mouth to speak, but instead tossed a sausage slice into his mouth.

"What?" Judy questioned. "What is it?"

Justin shook his head.

"Nothing. Nothing. I'm keeping my opinions to myself, they only get me into trouble."

Judy reached over, picking up his glass and taking a sip. She grimaced a bit, then took a gulp before setting it down.

"Don't fret, Dad. I have good feelings about this one."

After dinner Judy went back to the hotel to get ready. Their next stop on the tour was Portland, Oregon, a 12-hour drive away. They were staying in Fresno for the night and then driving all of the next day to play a Portland show that night. Justin's schedule was exhausting. She was just along for the fun of it, she didn't have to do any work like everyone else, and even she was constantly tired. She could only imagine how he felt.

Judy took her time getting ready. She took a long, hot shower, tried on 5 different outfits, and pinned her hair up in a bun. It'd been a long time since she'd felt the need to be girly, or dress up for anyone. She was beginning to feel more and more like her old self.

By the time Justin made it back to the hotel, Judy was already gone. He could tell she'd been there by the whirlwind mess she'd left their room in. For the first time, he wished the rules of their old show had applied then. Then she wouldn't have been able to go on that stupid date, with that stupid guy, to that stupid restaurant without him there to keep an eye on her. Without even thinking, he decided to wait up for her. He wanted to hear every disgusting, stupid detail while it was still fresh in her mind.

It was 1am when he fell asleep, no sign of Judy in sight.

 

* * *

It was 2:30am when Judy finally did enter the hotel, draped over Mason's arm. The girl was obviously intoxicated, once again. She giggled obsessively at everything she laid her eyes on. And even as Mason shushed her, she chuckled at him. She made faces, giggling at her reflection in the mirrored elevator doors. She giggled at the numbers and arrows on the plaque pointing them in the direction of their rooms. She even giggled at the security guard standing watch in the hall.

"Ooh! Here we are!" Judy stopped walking and turned to a red door.

Mason sounded a soft 'shhh' in her ear and she snorted a laugh.

"Sorry. Sorry, you're right. Justin's in there and he's probably sleeping. I'll be quiet."

Mason frowned at the mention of Justin's name.

"Judy, can I tell you something? Something private?"

She turned to look at him, her brown eyes questionable.

"You can tell me anything."

He glanced behind her, seeing Beth and Matt there, silently recording. He stepped closer to her, his expression vulnerable and hesitant. She didn't fight him in the slightest when he put an arm around her waist and leaned his head down to whisper to her.

"I like you. A lot. Like, more than someone in my position should."

She couldn't help but feel excited, not just by his words, but by how close he was to her body.

"And what position is that?"

"One where a guy could get into a lot of trouble for liking a girl like you. Justin seems pretty protective of you. Are you sure there's nothing going on between you two?"

Judy shook her head.

"Nothing. He's just a friend. You're not moving in on the boss's girl."

Mason smiled, taking one of her hands and playing with her fingertips.

"Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't you come to my room, instead of waking Justin up? We can party some more."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I can order something from room service. We'll pay-per-view another movie. We can talk, maybe cuddle."

Her eyes sparkled as if the idea had never occurred to her before. Mason smirked at how adorable she was, and leaned down, placing a kiss on her lips. Judy froze for a moment, almost paralyzed. She hadn't kissed anyone since Ben. It felt foreign, and different. It wasn't the rhythm she was used too, they weren't the lips she was accustomed too. But she couldn't help the rush of excitement that washed over her as she kissed him back. Finally, she was kissing someone else. Maybe she was getting over Ben faster than she thought.

"Come to my room with me," he whispered between kisses.

Judy didn't answer. She just allowed herself to be swept away.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers tourj school interracialj tvshowj abusiveex justin