Chapter 13 Chapter 13

"That's what I said, disgusting."

Justin chuckled, following Judy's lead when she sat down on the sofa.

"Can I have my phone back now?"

"Nope," he answered. "It's still buzzing. What did he want anyway?"

"You know, the usual questions. Where are you? Who are you with? Then he accused me of running away with this guy Myles that went AWOL."

Justin coughed on the chip he'd taken from the bowl on the coffee table.

"You sure know how to pick 'em Judy."

"I know. So, what are we doing now?"

"I'm going to take a nap?"

"A nap?"

"I have a break, so I'm gonna try to take a nap before the meet and greet at three."

"What am I supposed to do then?"

Justin turned and pointed at something behind the sofa.

"There's DVDs. Watch a movie."

While Justin pulled off his tennis shoes and grabbed a blanket, Judy went to the small shelf at the back wall and looked over the DVD collection. After settling on Knocked Up she put it in the DVD player and turned on the TV. As soon as she sat down on the sofa Justin laid his head in her lap, settling the blanket over himself.

"Who said I was going to play pillow for you?"

Justin turned his head and flashed her a pearly smile before turning back toward the TV screen. Just as his eyes began to drift closed with exhaustion, there was a knock at the door, followed by it opening.

"Hey Justin, I wanted to talk to you about the lights-oh excuse me."

Mason stood in front of the couch, smiling down at them. Justin groaned inwardly at the sickeningly sweet grin. When Mason set on eyes on something, he usually got it, and right now those eyes were set on his Judy.

"I didn't know you had company, JT."

Justin nodded with boredom. He was using the lights as an excuse to come in and meet Judy.

"Yep, I do."

Mason waited a moment, smiling excitedly. Finally he leaned forward and held his hand out for Judy to shake.

"Hi, I'm Mason, Justin's stage director."

"Hi Mason. I'm Judy, Justin's friend."

"Nice to meet you, Judy. I think I saw you earlier, down on the floor with the camera crew."

"That was me."

Mason nodded.

"Well, what brings you to the tour?"

Judy shrugged, "Just along for the ride."

"Well we're glad to have you."

"Uh, Mason?" Justin interrupted. "Do you think we talk about the lights later? I'm gonna try to grab a little down time."

"Yeah, sure, no problem," Mason smiled at Judy, reaching out to shake her hand again. "It was nice meeting you."

When Judy shook his hand, Mason leaned down to kiss the back of it, smiling brightly as he let go.

"Nice to meet you too, Mason."

"I'll see you around," were his last words as he headed out the door.

Justin sat up and watched him go, making sure he left and closed it behind him. He then turned to give Steve a look. Steve shrugged back, also wondering what the hell that visit had been about. Then he turned to Judy, and she smiled at him. Instantly his heart sank.

"He seemed nice," she said.

"Hmmm," he replied.

"Is he nice?" She pressed.

"Nice enough."

"He's cute."

Justin sighed, plopping his head back down into her lap.

"I guess."

"What's the matter with you?"

"Nothing. I'm just tired."

Judy was silent, going back to the movie as the mail character and her sister raced through the grocery store looking for pregnancy tests. Justin once again got comfortable in her lap, only this time he couldn't close his eyes. He had that same cautious feeling about Mason that he did about Ben. Only this time, he knew Mason wasn't good for Judy. Mason was wealthy, and he often used it to his advantage, wining and dining girls and then dropping them for the next. He already knew Judy was merely a conquest for Mason, a game he could play to keep himself occupied while on tour. But Judy wasn't a play thing, she was a friend, and he didn't want her being used.

His mind was reeling so fast that he didn't think he'd ever get the nap he'd started out wanting. But then he felt fingers gently running over his head, smoothing down his short hairs. Then his eye lids began to feel heavy, and before he knew it, he slipped into sleep.

 

* * *

"Why did you take out your ear ring?"

"My ear ring?" Justin asked.

"Yeah. Back in the day you wore the silver hoops but the last couple years you haven't been wearing anything."

Justin shrugged, leaning his forearms on the table in front of him.

"I just kind of grew out of them, I guess. And now the holes are closed so I couldn't wear them anymore if I wanted too."

The young girl nodded, taking her seat again. It was nearly four in the afternoon and Justin finishing up the Q&A portion of the meet-and-greet. Judy, and the MTV cameras, stood off to the side as he sat center stage at a table in front of the 50 people who'd gotten passes to meet him.

"Uh, one more question. You, there, in the pink shirt."

Justin pointed to a girl, most likely in her late teens. She smiled, revealing her braces.

"Umm, hi," she giggled.

"Hi." He flashed her the smile he was famous for and she swooned all over again.

"Umm, so, why are the MTV cameras here? Are you doing a special?"

"Something like that," Justin sat back in his chair. "Do you guys remember me doing a show called Senior Year?"

The crowd applauded at the mention of the show.

"Well, I'm doing another one, kind of like it."

"Is Judy in it again too?"

"Judy's here," Justin nodded.

He shifted his gaze over to her and she shrank back behind Matt.

"She's around somewhere. We're partners in crime once again."

"Is it like the same thing where you have to be in the same room all the time?"

"What fun would it be if I told you all the secrets?" Justin teased. "You'll just have to watch the show when it airs."

"But-."

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," he shook his finger at her. "You'll just have to wait and see."

The girl giggled and batted her lashes. She couldn't have been older than 15.

"I'm sorry folks, but that's all the time we have for today," Mike interrupted. "If you'll line up single file, Justin will sign any memorabilia and take photos, then follow the path laid out through the doors behind you to the arena; Justin has a sound check right after this."

The room erupted with random conversations as everyone rushed to line up to be the first to talk to Justin. Judy smiled as she watched him, taking time to talk to each person, asking them about their lives, graciously accepting their compliments. He wore a fitted green tee shirt and jeans and she could see the girls visibly drooling at the sight of his biceps. Hell, just a short time ago she would have been one of those girls standing in line with her digital camera, staring at him with admiration.

"Judy?"

She was snapped out of her thoughts when two girls walked up to her.

"Yeah?"

"Can we get a picture with you too?" The taller girl in a black tank top asked.

"Uhh, yeah, sure," Judy stammered.

Sure, she'd been popular after the show aired, but her fans had long since faded. She wasn't used to total strangers knowing her name and wanting her picture anymore. The two moved to stand on either side of her, both throwing their arms around her waist. She smiled at the disposable camera, even as the bright flash blinded her. Then the girls stepped away, waving a thank you.

"You're welcome."

Judy turned, looking at Justin, only to find he'd been watching her. He gave her a nod and she shrugged in return. She didn't see what the appeal in her was.

After all the passes, tee shirts, and belly buttons had been signed Judy followed the crowd to the arena floor. Chairs were set up now, and the small crowd had taken up the first 4 rows. Judy sat a little further back next to Mindy. Steve and Matt lowered their cameras, letting Justin's crew handle shooting the footage of him.

They watched as Justin belted out three songs, explaining the personal meaning of each one as he sat on the wooden stool brought out from backstage. He was on his fourth and last song when a tall man with dark hair sat down next to Judy.

"Hi," she smiled.

Mason leaned back, giving her a casual grin.

"Hello again. You didn't tell me you were the girl from that show. I thought you looked familiar."

"Guilty," she said. "Sorry, I didn't even think of it. I forget that so many people watched that show."

"I think you're the only celebrity I know that forgets that they're famous."

Judy rolled her eyes.

"I'm hardly famous."

The two continued chit chatting, not paying any mind as the sound check ended and the fans began to filter out the doors and back to the parking lot where they waited for the show to begin.

"So, what exactly does a stage director do anyway?"

"Well, I coordinate everything on the stage. Make sure all the people, props, and equipment are where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be. I work with the costume director, lighting director, choreographers, and the rest of the crew to make sure everything is pulled off perfectly."

"Sounds pretty stressful to me."

Mason shrugged.

"It can be. But it's a whole lot of fun. Hey, have you been backstage yet?"

"Yeah, you met me in Justin's dressing room remember?"

"No, not that backstage," Mason shook his head. "I mean up there backstage. That's where all the magic happens."

Judy followed Mason's gaze as he pointed to the stage. She shook her head.

"No, I haven't seen anything back there yet."

"Want a private tour?"

"Can you do that?"

Mason gave her a look, his demeanor becoming cocky.

"Do you remember who you're talking too?"

"Well no, I know you can do that, but I mean, can I do that?"

Mason reached out, fingering the black laminated pass that hung around her neck.

"See this pass?"

Judy nodded.

"This is a go anywhere you want and no one can stop you pass. Follow me."

The two walked off, Steve and Matt running behind them at Mindy's orders. Justin watched from the stage, frowning when he saw Mason place his hand on Judy's lower back as he lead her along side of the stage. He turned to Beth and Jon, his own MTV camera crew.

"Every show she's gotta find someone to fall in love with," he said bitterly.

"Wow, I didn't know it took so many people to pull off a show like this," Judy gasped.

She was under the stage with Mason. He'd taken her through the costumes, the lights, the cameras. She'd seen the props and different sets for the stage, and the hundreds of people rushing around with walkie-talkies getting everything set-up.

"Yep. Up on stage, the audience just sees Justin, the band, and the dancers. They don't know that half the population of LA is back here pulling levers and flipping switches."

"So, what does this do Mr. Stage Director?"

Judy pointed to a large clear box that sat beneath the stage.

"That is a lift. We use it to push Justin up on stage from down here."

"Oh, you mean those things where the artist slowly comes up out of the floor?"

"Exactly."

"I always wondered how those worked."

"It's simple, really. The artist steps inside on that platform, and stage hands pull down these two levers, lifting the platform up."

"That easy, huh?"

"Yeah. Want to give it a try?"

"Can I?"

"Be my guest." Mason motioned to the platform.

Judy stepped on, crouching down so she didn't hit her head on the edges of the stage.

"Brett, Andrew, can you show our guest here how the lift works?"

Two tall, well built men walked over as Mason climbed onto the platform beside Judy.

"Go ahead," he told them.

The two men gripped the levers, pulling down simultaneously. As they did, Judy and Mason rose through the cut out square and onto the stage. Judy watched as lights, cameras, and chairs slowly came into view. She hadn't been up on the stage before, and now she was envisioning herself in front of thousands.

"Oh my God, that is so cool," she giggled.

She turned, looking toward the back of the stage where the band would be, and she came face-to-face with Justin, who stood looking at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Hi!" She chirped happily.

He matched her giddy smile, but inside he was glaring at Mason.

"What are you doing?"

"Mason took me on a tour and I wanted to try out the lift. That's pretty awesome Justin."

"Tell me about it," he said. "But uh, sound check is over now. Are you hungry? They put out the dinner spread in the back."

"Yeah, I'm starving."

"Great. Come on."

Justin reached out, taking Judy's hand, smirking inwardly when he spotted Mason eyeing their intertwined fingers. He pulled Judy along, heading for the stairs off to the side.

"Thanks for the tour!" She called back.

 

* * *

After a dinner of enchiladas, nachos, and fajitas Justin settled into his dressing room. He changed into the outfit he'd wear for the first portion of the show. His entourage came in, touching up his buzzed hair cut and fixing his face. Judy had teased him when she noticed the woman putting loose powder on Justin's cheeks.

"My, my, don't you look pretty. Are you doing eye shadow next?"

"Hey, this is strictly for the stage and nowhere else," he retorted. "I can't be on stage looking all sweaty. Girls don't like that."

"On the contrary, girls dig it when you look like that. Then they can go on with their perverted thoughts."

While MTV filmed Justin doing his vocal warm ups, pacing back and forth behind the couch, Judy, Trace, and Rachel watching a DVD of Two and A Half Men. VIPs came through, taking their pictures with him, having their tour books sighed, and gushing over their love of his music. Finally, it was 10 minutes till show time, and Justin looked antsy than ever.

"Everybody out," he announced.

They all looked up from the TV to find Justin standing there with the door open.

"What?"

"You guys know the routine. It's almost show time, I need a minute. Everybody out."

Everyone stood, filing toward the open door. Justin watched as Trace left, Mindy left, Jon and Beth left.

"You stay," he stopped Judy as she moved to step out the door next.

"You go," he motioned to Steve, Matt and Rachel.

Once they were all gone he closed the door with a sigh.

"Are you okay?" Judy asked.

Justin cracked his knuckles.

"I always get nervous during this part."

"Did you see how many people were out there? I'm not surprised."

"I saw the crowd. Don't remind me."

"There's a thousand," she continued. "No, more than that. Probably like three-thousand."

"Stop," he raised a hand. "You're not helping."

"Didn't you say that you don't get nervous before a show? You look almost queasy."

"I lied," he shrugged sheepily. "Once I get out there I'll be okay. It's just the waiting and anticipation that freaks me out."

Then he made a face, and she could tell he was about to whine.

"Do me a favor," he began, his voice small and high-pitched like that of a little boy. "Do that thing you do when my shoulders hurt."

He sat down at the vanity and Judy stood behind him, massaging between his shoulder blades. He let out a grunt and dropped his chin to his chest.

"What do you usually do just before show time?"

"Remain as relaxed as possible."

"Conserving energy?"

"Exactly."

They were quiet for a moment.

"So, did you have fun on your tour with Mason?"

"Yeah. I'd been backstage on a big tour before."

He could hear the swoon in her voice.

"What exactly did you guys do?"

Judy pressed hard into his spine, shaking her head.

"I don't want to talk about Mason right now."

"Why not?"

"Because whenever he's around, I get the feeling you don't really like him much. Which would mean you don't really like him talking to me much. And I know how passionate you get about things, and you're supposed to be as relaxed as possible, so now would not be the time."

She leaned over his shoulder, giving him a look.

"Am I right?"

"Right," he agreed halfheartedly.

A knock sounded at the door and Mason stuck his head in.

"JT. It's go-time."

Justin nodded, standing up. Mason gave Judy a smile and nod when he noticed her standing there. She returned it, and then turned her focus back to Justin.

"Ready?"

"Yeah. Where's my water bottle?"

He patted his pockets as if he would have put it there, and Judy reached behind him, picking it up off the counter.

"Oh, thanks. Come on, walk with me."

Judy followed him into the hallway where Rachel fell into step on his other side. Mike and Mason lead the group, flanked by security, down a few halls before they came to the back of the stage. You could hear the crowd, screaming and cheering as the lights went out and the intro video played. The noise made the walls shake and Judy felt her heart begin to pound. She could just imagine what Justin was feeling as he put his mic-pack on.

"Have a good show Jay," Rachel gave her cousin a hug.

Then Justin turned to her, and Judy put her arms around him.

"Good luck."

Justin pulled back, smiling cockily as he stepped onto the platform she'd been on earlier.

"Ain't got nuttin to do with luck, girl. This is skill."

Judy smirked as the platform began to rise. He'd been right when he said he'd be fine. It was seconds until his performance and he was back to his old self. The band began to play and the platform rose to its full height, blocking Justin from her view completely. The noise from the arena floor was deafening.

At the end of the show Justin was immediately ushered out the back door of the arena and onto his black and silver bus. Judy, Rachel, and Trace were already waiting there when he and Mike climbed aboard. Justin headed straight into the bathroom and climbed into the small shower. Mike raided the mini fridge in front. Trace had already gone to bed. So had Rachel and Mike by the time Justin emerged from the bathroom.

"That might be the coldest shower I have ever taken," he said, plopping down onto the sofa beside her.

He wore the blue track pants and white tee that Rachel had left in the bathroom for him.

"You could have waited till we got to the next hotel."

"And smell funky for 5 hours? I don't think so."

"So where is our next stop?"

Justin grinned evilly at her, rubbing his hands together.

"Las Vegas. The land of sex and sin."

"Oh man. I don't know if I can handle that."

"You can. You'll love it. No one can go to Vegas and not have a blast. The chicks alone-."

"You keep talking to me about girls and groupies like I'm a lesbian."

Justin paused, appearing to be in deep thought.

"That'd be hot."

Judy snorted, rolling her eyes.

"That'll never happen. Sorry. Pervert."

Justin chuckled at her insult, eyeing the First 48 episode on the TV screen.

"What are you doing up anyway?"

"I don't know. Just thinking. I'll probably head to bed in a minute."

"Thinking about what?"

"Nothing particular."

She wasn't looking at him as she spoke, and he followed her vision to the black camera set-up in the ceiling corner of the backroom. MTV had set it up during the day while they had been inside.

"Still worried about the show?"

Judy shrugged, pretending to be interested in the TV. Justin put an arm around her, squeezing her shoulders.

"It'll be fine. I promise."

Judy leaned back, turning her head to look at him.

"Watch you don't make promises you can't keep."

A silence fell over them as the Memphis detectives found the murder weapon used to kill an older man in his living room.

"So why don't you like Mason?"

"Where did that come from?"

"Curiosity. You've been giving him funny looks ever since he introduced himself to me."

"That's because he has a funny face."

"Stop that!" Judy scolded. "Come on, the truth."

"I like Mason just fine." He shifted uncomfortably. "It's just I also know Mason very well, and I know you pretty well. And I know he thinks you're cute, and I saw that little gleam you got when he came into the room-."

"What gleam? I was just being nice and saying hello."

"Uh-huh." He didn't sound convinced. "I just don't want you getting hurt. You're not even over this Ben thing."

I'm not going to get hurt Justin. He's just a guy on the tour, not my next boyfriend."

"Good. You don't need a guy like him."

"What kind of guy is a guy like him?"

"Let's just put it this way, I fear for the safety of any girl he sets his sights on. And that's a lot of girls."

"Why? Is he a dog?"

"He's a great big bulldog that needs to be spayed."

"I seem to remember you being a self-proclaimed dog once yourself. You barked, ran around campus sniffing butts, and everything."

"I didn't sniff anyone's butt okay," he chuckled. "Except that one time and that was on a dare. I got a free pizza out of that."

"You still did it."

"My point is, be careful around him. He's charming, but he's not the one."

"I'll keep that in mind Dad."

"And stay out from under the stage with him. It's dark and he's got fast hands. Though I'm sure you've already figured that out."

"It was just a tour," she giggled. "Nothing happened and he never tried anything."

He was beginning to seem more jealous than concerned and it was sort of cute.

"Yeah, this time it was just a tour. Next time…."

"He'll have his way with me next to the power outlet?"

"Exactly."

"You're insane."

Justin shrugged, letting out a large yawn.

"Do I have to stay up and watch this with you? Because we both know that if you keep watching this alone you're gonna get creeped out and then you'll be trying to share my bunk and that thing is too tiny."

"No," Judy picked up the remote and turned the TV off. "Let's go to bed."

 

* * *

The buses crossed the Las Vegas city borders just after 4am. As usual, Justin was taken upstairs first, followed by everyone else. Thankfully, that night Judy was able to fall into a coma like sleep in her own room. Even at his home in LA she'd wake him up in the middle of the night, asking him if she could come in or if he could stay in her room. She felt bad being so dependent on him, but nights were the worst.

She'd always see Ben in her dreams, or hear his voice echo loud and clear as if she was back at the apartment and he was in the living room. She supposed it was part of mourning the end of their relationship, but she also felt as if she were being a burden on him. He had so much to do during the day; he didn't need her pulling him out of his sleep all the time. She also didn't want to wear out her welcome. You can only annoy people so much before they tell you it's time to go home.

"Judy?!"

A bang sounded on her door and she was jolted out of her sleep. She sat up straight, her hair a wild mess on the top of her head. She looked around with confusion. The bright sun was shining in through the window overlooking the large pool.

"Juice pop, you in there?!"

The bang sounded again and Judy got up, stumbling through the room to the door. Her legs weren't quite awake yet, and she used the wall to catch herself when she tripped. When she opened the door, Justin was standing there with a smile, his eyes hidden by dark sunglasses.

"Morning."

Judy gave him a look, her mind still reeling after being woken up so abruptly.

"What are you doing?"

"Coming to get you. Duh."

Justin welcomed himself into the room. Judy gave Mike a look, and Mike shrugged in response before leaning against the wall in the hallway. Judy followed Justin over to the bed, letting the door fall closed. He'd already turned the TV on and was leaning back on his elbows. He was surprisingly cheerful.

"What the hell are you so happy about?" She gripped.

"What the hell do you have to be unhappy about?"

"I was happily asleep, peacefully asleep, when some lunatic started banging on my door calling me a Popsicle. It's too early for this." She ended her rant by plopping down on the bed dramatically.

"Too early? It's ten. You've been asleep for like eleven hours. What are you trying to do, hibernate? Besides, now you know how I feel when you wake me up at the crack of dawn asking me to share my bed."

See. That's exactly what she was afraid he'd been thinking.

"Fine. I won't do that anymore. I'll stay in my room. Alone. And scared. And lonely."

Justin could hear the pout in her voice even though he had his back to her.

"I didn't mean it like Juicy fruit. You know I don't mind. I just mean… never mind. Look, I'm going shopping and I was going to invite you along. But if you'd rather stay here and sleep some more it's fine."

"I'd rather stay here and sleep some more."

That got him to turn around and fling himself down on the bed beside her with a whine.

"Judy, come on! I want you to come with me."

"Take Rachel."

"She's going, but I want you with us too. She's mean when I shop. She doesn't let me buy what I want."

Judy chuckled.

"So you want me to save you from Rachel?"

"I want you to come shopping with me. Come on, please?"

Judy let out a deep sigh and dropped her arm over her eyes. She could hear the Timberlake pout in full force, she didn't need to see it.

"Please? Please, please, please, please?"

"Ugh! Alright, fine, fine, fine," she answered finally.

Anything to make him quit whining.

"Yay! Thank you. Now, get up."

He gave her a nudge on the shoulder and she sat up slowly.

"Go get dressed. I'll be right here, watching Scrubs."

Judy watched as he pulled a black Ipod from his pocket and put the white headphones into his ears.

"What are you listening to?"

She picked it up from his lap and started to scroll through his cover flow.

"Is that Miley Cyrus?" She gasped. "You listen to Miley Cyrus?"

"Hey, I know what it's like to be a squeaky clean Disney kid, okay." He snatched his Ipod back and put it in his pocket. "Besides, some of her songs are surprisingly catchy."

"Riiight."

"Whatever. Get in the bathroom and get ready."

Two hours later Judy was tiredly following along behind Justin as he went isle by isle through the men's section of the department store. Getting into the store had been quite the tiring hassle in itself. They had tried to park and simply walk through the front door, but when the paparazzi swarmed Justin, pushing and pulling the security guards all around him, they decided on a plan B. Instead they parked in an underground garage, waiting for the store to shut down so he could shop alone. Now they were pressed for time, and Justin was going non-stop, grabbing more items than he could hold himself.

"You can't possibly need all of this stuff," Rachel complained.

She was holding a dozen tee-shirts over her left arm.

"Yes, I do," Justin replied, rolling his eyes.

"Wait a minute, are you even looking at some of this stuff? I think I've seen you wear this shirt back in LA."

Justin stopped and turned to Judy. She had been holding a stack of shirts as well, but she set them down on a display table to examine them.

"I brought you to protect me from her, not to agree with her."

"You have greediness on your side and I have logic. Who did you think was going to win?" Rachel asked.

Justin narrowed his eyes on her for a moment before he continued on his way. After looking through every rack, and picking out more pairs of sunglasses than he could ever wear in one lifetime, he took them all to the register, only to decide not to get most of it.

"I think he just has fun picking things and making us carry it. He knows from the beginning that he isn't buying it."

"Rachel, if you don't shut up I'm not taking you to the shoe department."

"I don't care," she retorted. "I can buy my own damn shoes. You pay me enough."

"Remind me to give you a pay decrease."

When the clerk took all of Justin's bags to put them in the car, the three headed up the escalator and into the women's section.

"What are we doing here?" Judy asked.

"Looking for something for you."

"For me? No, we're not."

"Yes, we are."

"Why?"

"Because I am sick of seeing you in that same sweater everyday."

He pointed at the oatmeal colored sweater she wore. Judy folded her arms subconsciously. He stepped closer to her, talking softly, even though he knew their mic-packs would pick up their conversation for MTV anyway.

"Look, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to embarrass you or anything, but you didn't bring much with you. You are in need of new clothes, and you and I both know you aren't going to spend the money yourself because you're too worried about him finding you so can you please spare me the half hour of arguing it would take to get you to let me do this? We only have an hour before we have to go to the venue."

Judy chewed on her bottom lip, unsure.

"Okay. But if we're shopping for me we're in the wrong section."

Justin raised a confused eyebrow.

"This is the women's section. You are a girl, aren't you? Or is there a conversation we need to have?"

Judy rolled her eyes.

"Sometimes you are so stupid. I meant that I need the fat girls section, if they have one."

That comment Justin did not like, and he made that clear by the expression on his face.

"Judy Bucklass…"

"What?"

His shook his head at her with disappointment.

"Don't ever let me hear you talk about yourself like that again."

"What? I said I was a fat girl. News flash Justin, the secrets been out for awhile. Besides, I'm talking about myself. I can say whatever I want."

"But that's my best friend you're talking about, and I won't be having that."

"Guys, I don't think we have time for this argument either," Rachel interjected.

"Fine, fine," Judy held her hands up as a sign of surrender. "Plus sized?"

Justin rolled his eyes, but settled for the compromise. He called over a sales clerk, eagerly waiting to help point them in the right direction.

The day continued on as the day before had. Meet-and-greet at the arena, followed by dinner backstage, and then Justin's 'alone' ritual before going on stage. Only this time, they were playing in Vegas again the next night, so there was no rushing to the bus and sleeping in the crammed bunks. When Justin's show was finished he was shuttled back to the hotel in a van, where he went upstairs to take a shower. He was pulling on his jeans when there was a knock at the door.

"Hey man."

Justin smiled when he saw Trace was standing there, along with Beth and Jon. He opened the door wide enough for them to enter before turning to head back into the room.

"What up, G?"

"Just stopping by to make sure we were still going out tonight."

"Of course," Justin looked at him as if he had four heads. "We gotta go out. It's Vegas, and we only have one night to do it up."

Trace nodded in agreement, rubbing his hands together.

"Exactly. I just wanted to make sure."

Justin looked over at him as he shrugged a blue button down on over his Harley-Davidson tee-shirt. He could tell that wasn't all that Trace had come for.

"So," Trace cleared his throat. "How's Judy liking the tour?"

"She's still adjusting. Why didn't you just ask her for yourself?"

"I get the feeling that she doesn't like me very much."

Justin laughed out loud.

"Can't say that I blame her. You did call her a druggie."

"Well I didn't know she was sitting there."

"I know. That's what the problem was. She has this thing about people talking behind her back. Just be nice, she'll come around."

Trace nodded again.

"You two aren't hooking up at you?"

Justin paused mid-cologne spray and gagged when the mist went into his mouth. Trace laughed as his friend coughed before Justin turned to give him a serious look.

"Where the fuck did that question come from? Did they put you up to that?" He pointed at Beth and Jon.

Jon pointed a finger at Beth. Her jaw dropped and she shook her head no, pointing back at Jon. Justin could only smile at them.

"No guys, we're not hooking up. She's far too into Mason for that."

"Yeah, I saw them talking during dinner. He was getting mighty close."

"I know," Justin shook his head, pulling on a silver diamond studded watch.

"I told her to stay away from him."

"I don't think she's listening."

"Why?" Justin looked up from the laces on his white sneakers.

"Cause he was just leaving her room when I was walking over here."

Justin finished lacing up his other shoe, then he rested his arm on his knee as he thought for a moment. Finally he spoke.

"Hey, I'll meet you downstairs at 11, okay?"

"Okay."

Trace watched with confusion as Justin rushed from the room, Beth and Jon following after him. Judy's room was two doors down, and as he crossed the short distance he saw Mindy coming out of her room.

"Hi Justin," she smiled.

"Hey."

He gave her as little acknowledgement as possible. He didn't want to be rude, but he didn't really care to talk to her either. He grabbed Judy's door before it closed and welcomed himself in. She was sitting on the bed wearing blue Class of '04 shorts, a white tank top, and gray high heeled boots he'd bought her earlier that day.

"What are you doing?" He couldn't help that laugh that escaped his lips when he asked.

She simply smiled happily.

"I love these boots. I don't want to take them off."

"I'm glad."

He wanted to ask her about Ben, but then he looked to his left and saw Steve and Matt. On his right, were Beth and Jon. He didn't want to discuss this right in front of two cameras. They'd only play more into the fictional storyline that he had developed feelings for Judy.

"So, you're coming tonight, right?"

"Coming where?"

"Out. With us."

"I didn't think you were going anywhere 18 and over. I thought you were going to a bar or casino or something."

"I am."

Judy's brow furrowed.

"Then how can I go? I'm 18, remember? They're not going to let me in."

Justin chuckled at how naïve she was.

"I have so much to teach you about this celebrity thing."

He walked over and took her hand, pulling her from the bed.

"Get ready. You've got a half an hour."

Thirty-five minutes later Judy emerged from the steamy bathroom to find Justin and the crews sitting on the bed watching a Dane Cook special on Comedy Central. Justin turned to look at her, and his jaw would have dropped had he not caught himself. She wore a blue bubble hem dress that Rachel had talked her into getting, and the gray knee-high boots from before. Her hair was stick straight and fell over one eye. She looked more like the Judy he'd known before, but

"Does this look okay?" She bit her lip and waited on his answer.

"It looks great. Rach was right about that dress."

Steve nodded from behind his camera. Judy smiled and walked to the desk, picking up her purse.

"Well, let's go."

The group headed into the hall where Mike and some hotel security were waiting for them. They escorted Justin and Judy into the elevator and down to the lobby where everyone else was waiting for them. Including Mason. Justin saw Mason's eyes as soon as they landed on Judy's cleavage and they flashed with lust. He started to make his way toward them, but thankfully Rachel unknowing cut him off.

"Judy! Oh my gosh, you look great," she drawled. "I love this color on you."

"Thank you."

"Oh, but you don't have any make-up on. You need eyeliner."

Judy's face looked a little worried.

"I do? I don't have any."

"That's okay. We'll fix you up in the car. Come on guys, let's go. We're late."

The large group or techies, roadies, dancers, and MTV crew members climbed in several white vans with deeply tinted windows. Justin made sure that Mason wasn't able to ride with them, wanting to keep Judy as far away from that guy as possible. After a short trip down the strip, the vans pulled up to back of a building, paparazzi vehicles screeching to a halt all around them. Instantly there were dozens of people outside the vans, flashes going off every second. Justin's security team and the clubs bouncers pushed them back, laying out a path for the group to get inside.

"Okay crew, ready, set, hit it," Trace said opening the door to the van.

He exited first, Justin getting out second. The paparazzi seemed to grow in size as soon as they saw his face. They pushed and pulled even harder, the camera flashes began blinding. All of this made Judy want to crawl back into her shell. What was she doing here?

"Come on darlin'," Justin said, reaching his hand out of her.

He pulled her from her seat in the back row and slowly lead her along the path, Rachel following behind them. Judy squeezed his fingers tightly, fearing what would happen to her if she were to let go and be left behind. Finally they made it inside, and the noise of the clubs sound system was quiet compared to what outside had been like.

"Are you okay?" Rachel placed a hand on Judy's shoulder.

Judy nodded.

"I know. It's pretty scary in the beginning. You'll get used to it, unfortunately."

"Hey, guys, this way," Trace waved them forward.

The group was lead down a dark hallway, the walls painted black. Then they went up a steep flight of stairs. Finally at the top they found a VIP section laid out just for them, completely sectioned off from the rest of the club goers.

"Would you like a drink?" A pretty waitress with red hair came up to Judy.

Apparently that was all it took for Judy to get her party started. While Justin took a seat in a booth, Judy wandered over to the bar to check out the selection they'd brought up for them. And moments later Mason was by her side, happily paying her tab as she placed order after order.

Justin was a bit taken back by her behavior. He had to get used to the fact that she had changed, possibly permanently. His Judy didn't drink, smoke, barely cursed, loved to dress up, and was organized to the T. This Judy slept till noon, was unsure of her curves, and currently tossing back Whiskey Sours like it was going out of style.

By the time they left, at 3am that morning, she was completely trashed. Mason helped her stumble down the steps as she laughed hysterically at her own clumsiness.

"So, what are you doing when we get back? Are you tired?" Mason asked.

Judy shook her head, throwing off her balance. Luckily, Mason's arm was firmly planted around her waist, keeping her steady.

"No! I'm not tired at all. Whoo!!"

Mason smiled.

"Well, you should come to my room then. We can watch a movie or something. I'm not tired either."

"Yeah, cool."

Justin chose that moment to step in. No way was she going to Mason's room, completely wasted, at 3am. He had had plenty of alcohol himself, but he was still sober enough to know it was a bad idea.

"Hey, same seats man," he told Mason.

Mason nodded, letting Justin remove Judy's arm from around his neck.

"Alright. Judy, I'll see you in a little bit, okay?"

"Yeah, we're gonna watch a movie. I'm so excited!"

She was talking unnecessarily loud and Justin grimaced at her high tone.

"You ready?" He asked her.

They were at the backdoor. Judy nodded, and Justin shook his head. She looked a complete mess.

"Here, I'll take her," Rachel suggested. "You get in the van. We'll be fine, they don't care about us."

Justin looked Judy over, the playful drunken gleam in her eyes. Then he handed her over to Rachel.

"How you feeling, girl?" Rachel asked.

"Gooood," Judy sang.

Justin chuckled to himself, walking out the door behind Mike. There weren't an many paparazzi outside, thought there were still far too many for his liking. He went straight to the van and got inside, sitting away from the door so they couldn't take his picture while he waited. Rachel and Judy came out next, stumbling over each other's feet slightly. They made it to the van safely, followed by Trace who was teasing them about not being able to hold their liquor. Once Beth, Matt, Jon, and Steve were inside the door was slammed shut and they pulled away. Justin was looking out the window at the bright lights when he felt eyes on him.

"Hi," Judy sounded with a smile.

She looked so cute Justin couldn't help but smile back.

"Hi. You are so wasted."

"No I'm not," she giggled.

"Yes. You are. It's time for you to drink a gallon of water and go to bed."

"Yeah," she sighed. "I am tired. You must be really tired if I'm tired because you had the show earlier. What are you doing tomorrow?"

"I've got to host this golf thing."

"Golf?" She scrunched up her face.

"Have fun with that buddy."

"I will. I love golf."

Judy leaned her head on his shoulder and folded her arms. Justin dropped a hand down to her lap, patting her knee comfortingly. She laid on him the entire ride back, and in the elevator on the way up to their rooms. Justin walked to his door, and then watched her continue down the hall, expecting her to enter her own room. But when she kept going he went after her.

"Where you heading?"

"Huh?" She whirled around. "Oh, I'm going to Mason's room. We're gonna watch a movie before we go to bed. I'm not tired yet."

"You were practically asleep in the car."

"I was just resting my eyes, Justin."

She turned her back to keep walking and Justin grabbed her arm.

"Wait."

"What?"

"Why don't you come to my room? You can watch a movie with me."

"No. No, I don't want to keep you awake. You did all that stuff today and you have that golf thing tomorrow. You need to go to bed more than I do. I'll see you at the venue tomorrow, okay?"

She gave him a kiss on the cheek and turned away again. Justin jumped in front of her.

"Judy-."

"Justin, come on. Don't worry, I'll be fine. We're just gonna talk, okay?"

She stepped around him and Justin grabbed her arm once again, seeing Mason watching for her at the door to his hotel room.

"Judy, stop it."

"Stop what?"

"Stop acting like a slut."

As soon as the words left his mouth he wanted to take them back. Not only were they inappropriate on their own, but Mason, Mike, and the camera crew were standing there watching them. Mostly he wanted to take it back because he saw the look in her eyes. He shook his head, trying to shake some of the drunkenness away. It didn't work.

"What?"

She ripped her arm from his grasp roughly.

"Umm. I don't think that's what I meant."

"You don't think?" Her brow furrowed.

He reached for her again but she stepped back from him.

"Judy-."

"No!" She was angry now, her eyes fiery. "I expected to be judged by the world Justin, but not by you."

She paused for a moment, her words echoing in the silence before she brushed past him and down the hall where Mason was waiting. Justin watched as they disappeared behind the crème colored door. Then he looked over at Mike. The bigger man shook his head sadly. Angrily Justin swapped his keycard into the door lock, entered his room, and slammed the door behind himself.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers tourj school interracialj tvshowj abusiveex justin