Stretches Of Highway by Maggie
Summary: Summer McKenzie is a prostitute on the streets of LA just trying to make ends meet. Then she got a regular customer with some money to burn, Justin Timberlake. Unfortunately during one of their excursions, the cameras catch them leaving the hotel together. Suddenly Summer is offered the job of a lifetime to play his girlfriend on tour for six months. It’s just the two of them and Stretches Of Highway
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 12389 Read: 8170 Published: Jun 09, 2008 Updated: Dec 15, 2011
Story Notes:
I know it's been forever. I'm hoping to get back into some writing and have fresh material soon but until then, I'm posting a old one you guys might remember. It was my first and it really took off, so thanks to you guys for reading!

1. Chapter 1 by Maggie

2. Chapter 2 by Maggie

3. Chapter 3 by Maggie

4. Chapter 4 by Maggie

5. Chapter 5 by Maggie

6. Chapter 6 by Maggie

Chapter 1 by Maggie
I arrived at the hotel room just before ten. He told me we only had a couple of hours and to be on time. I passed through his security with a flash of the pass I was given, they let me through, though I really didn’t need it. They all knew my face and exactly what I was there for.

 

I stop at room 314 and knock. Justin opened the door and says, “Get in.”

 

He opens the door wide enough to let me in and then closes it, locking the bolt on the door. I don’t say a word and immediately started undressing until I’m in my bra and panties. I sit on the bed and wait until he is ready to get started.

 

I stare at the wall as I wait, remembering how this whole thing began. I was prostituting in L.A. when this car pulled up to the side of the road. It was a porche and I quickly made my way over to it before any of the other girls saw the car. The window rolled down and the guy in it offered me a grand for the night. I quickly agreed and got into the car. We drove to the nearest hotel, which to my surprise was a four star hotel. It definitely was not pay by the hour. The man handed me a jacket to cover up my outfit and we went inside.

 

He brought me up to the room and knocked on the door, “Justin, I got what you ordered.”

 

Justin came out of the bedroom, “Take off the coat.”

 

I knew who he was. His face was all over billboards and you’d have to live under a rock to not recognize the guy. I do as I’m commanded and remove the coat, leaving me in my attire for the evening. The man who brought me in vacated the room and I proceeded to have sex with Justin Timberlake. Since the job paid good money and Justin seemed to be pleased with the final product, whenever he came to L.A., I would get a call what time and place I was to be at in order to take care of his “needs.”

 

That was three months ago. So here I sit, waiting to get the job done. Justin finally comes into the bedroom and quickly undresses himself and gets protection before crushing his lips against mine. I lay back on the bed and spread my legs. The one thing I am thankful for is the comfortable bed, not a frequent thing in my line of work.

 

He pulls my panties of with his teeth, practically ripping them off my body. His hands go behind my back and find the clasp to my bra and undoes it, his hands groping at my breasts.

 

“Aren’t we overanxious. Can’t find someone to take care of your little problem down there baby?”

 

He gives me an annoyed look, “Summer, I am so horny right now, just do what I pay you to do.”

 

I hold myself back from kneeing him in the crotch and do my best baby voice “Aaww, let me seen if I can relieve you…” I said rocking my center into his crotch.

 

He groans and assaults my nipples with his mouth, sucking like his very life depended on it. I let him play for a few moments before flipping us over so I’m on top. It’s gotten to be a control thing over the years for me, I like being in charge when sleeping with strangers, but the guys take it as something their significant other won’t do, so we both win.

 

I tease him, running his penis along my center. I rub his balls with the other hand and he makes sounds deep in his throat.

 

“I don’t pay you to tease me Sum, I pay you to pleasure me.”

 

“Patience is a virtue, your going to get what you paid for.” I say, positioning myself just right and letting him enter me. He’s a good, thick size and fills me up well. I rock on him and he grabs my hips, helping me move at a quicker pace. Once it is up to his satisfaction, his hands go once again to my breast, cupping them in the palm of his hand. I close my eyes and bounce harder on him, making him thrust upwards harder.

 

“Fuck yes, do it the way I like it Sum.”

 

I hold on the head board and my hips move like crazy while his eyes roll back into his head. I make the necessary noises to make the guy I’m with feel like the king of the world in bed, and he orgasms.

 

Justin inhales and exhales quickly and I get off him, looking forward to sleeping on the most comfortable mattress in history. I normally stay until about five in the morning in case Justin gets an “urge” in the middle of the night. I move to the side of the bed vacated and close my eyes. Justin’s already asleep and I plan on doing the same.

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

I wake up with a start as someone is shaking me hard, “Get the fuck up!”

 

I look over at the clock and it reads nine seventeen. Oh shit. Justin is running around the hotel room getting everything together as I grab my clothes and put them on. No time for a shower, I just need to get out of there.

 

“Why didn’t you send me on my way at five?” I ask as he zips up his suitcase.

 

“I overslept, why do you think?” I want to punch his pretty boy face, but I wouldn’t want to ruin the only thing going for him when he pays my bills.

 

“The same guy who brought me to Justin the first night comes barging in the room, “We need to go now!” He grabs my hand and we follow Justin and his security people out the back entrance. We’re the last ones out when all of a sudden, camera flashes start going off in our faces.

 

“Justin, over here! Is this your new girlfriend?”

 

“Tell us your name honey.”

 

“Did you guys spend the night together?”

 

The blood drains from my face and I go to call a cab when someone on Justin’s security pushes me in the limo with them. The doors close and I’m whisked away with Justin slumped against his seat. A phone in the car starts ringing and the guy responsible for me even being involved in this mess answers. “This is Craig, talk to me.”

 

Well, at least I know his name now. I hear yelling over the phone and Craig talks in a hushed voice before hanging up. I decided to say something “You guys can just drop me off at the corner.”

 

Craig looks at me “I’m afraid that’s not possible. The press has now seen your face, we can’t have them knowing what you do for a living. I just talked to Justin’s manager and we have a deal to offer you. Justin needs to start coming of as a committed guy rather than a playboy,”

I hear Justin snort, “I don’t want any girl cramping my style.”

Craig gives him an ugly look before continuing “So we will offer you ten grand a week to be with Justin at all times while were on tour. Pretend you’re his girlfriend for six months, you know, act like your in love and such. You do what Justin wants at night, and we’ll both be happy.”

 

I’m stunned. Follow Princy around for months on tour, attending to his beckon call. But it is ten grand a week for a couple of months. I could go back to school with that kind of money, start over. “Alright, you have a deal.”
Chapter 2 by Maggie
Well, here I am, looking at the huge tour bus I’m going to be riding on with Justin. I’m only to grace him with my presence when he wants some “company.” Otherwise, the lovely couch pulls out to reveal my bed. I’m okay with that though, it’s actually going to be one of nicest places I’ve ever slept. And it’s safe, which can never be underestimated.

 

My old apartment was in a crummy neighborhood and I felt safer hiding my money behind an old brick that was loose on the building. I put the money in the spot where the brick went and then put the brick back. But that’s all forgotten now. I am making two hundred and forty thousand dollars in six months. That’s right, and I keep telling myself it’s worth all the crap I’m putting up with.

 

“What are you looking at?” Justin asks with a look of disgust.

 

What the fuck do you think I’m looking at? How about the big thing in front of us? “The bus, it’s huge.”

 

“Pshh, it’s just a bus. Haven’t you ever seen a bus before?” he says, walking up the steps into it.

 

He just better be happy I don’t run his ass over with the bus and then put it in reverse.

 

I climb on the bus and put my bags down. I now officially have bags. Craig went out and bought me a wardrobe of new clothes, got my nails and hair done and arranged for me to pick out a few pieces of jewelry. I think I’m in love. He also arranged for me to see a doctor to make sure I didn’t have STDs, AIDS or an unexpected pregnancy. They also probably wanted to see if I had anything contagious that Justin could contract; like bad breath, slouched posture or the deadly polite virus.

 

I sink down into the couch and sigh with contentment. I’m told the first stop on the tour is in Nevada and we’ll make our way around the country. Unfortunately, that’s the premiere of Justin and me as a couple. He had better be a good actor. Speaking of Princy, he’s sitting on his bed, listening to some music. I’m glad he can entertain himself for now, so I decide to turn on the TV and watch a movie. I curl up and surprisingly fall asleep.

 

________________________________________________________________________

 

I wake up when the bus comes to a stop and look out the window. We must be at our first venue. Craig comes on the bus and smiles at me before going over and ripping the headphones off Justin’s head when he ignores him. Craig still is a little apprehensive around me, probably because of the prostitute thing. He probably thought Justin would end up with someone like Angelina Joile. I guess he didn’t realize she’s way out of his league.

 

“Alright guys, here’s what were going to do, the press is out there, so when you guys get off, hold hands. Justin, if you feel like talking to the press you’re to say you’ve been together for three months and met during an after party. That gives you a nice amount of time before we allowed the story to go public, making your relationship seem real. Summer, your actually perfect because your… job didn’t leave any paperwork for the press to find. Now smile and be nice. Let’s go.”

 

Justin reluctantly takes my hand and we walk off the bus together. Lights flash and we both smile as people call out to us. Justin stops at the guy holding the Entertainment Tonight microphone and smiles. The guy holding it immediately asks the million dollar question, “Justin, who’s the lovely lady?”

 

Justin forces a smile, “This is my girlfriend, Summer.”

 

“You were photographed with her last week coming out of a hotel. How long have you been together?”

 

“Over three months. We just feel that it’s time to come clean and admit were together and in love.”

 

The guy’s eyes light up, “In love? Everyone said you could never be tamed. After all the girls you’ve been with over the last year are you really ready to settle down with one girl?”

 

Justin pulls me closer to his chest in mock affection “When you feel the way I do about her, you can’t help but want to be monogamous.”

 

“And how do you feel about all of this Summer?”

 

Shitty, but rich.

 

“It’s so surreal. I’m just happy to be here with him.”

 

We say our goodbyes to the reporters and move our way into the arena. Craig follows us with words of praise for how well we did in the interview. Were lead to a room with Justin’s name on the door and it is unlocked, revealing an abundance of food and comfortable seating.

 

Craig turns on the TV to reveal our interview on all the major entertainment networks and smiles at me, “You’re a natural.”

 

I nod my head, but silently think this is way overblown. He’s just one person, why in the world do people care who he dates?

 

Craig claps his hands together “Alright, I’ll let you guys bond and Justin, you’ll warm up on stage in about an hour. Summer, you’ll be escorted to the VIP box to watch the show or you can relax in the hotel room, whichever you prefer. We leave at seven tomorrow morning.”

 

Craig shuts the door and leaves us to our own devices. Alright, I’ll break the ice, “So Justin, you excited to do a new tour?”

 

He looks at me and rolls his eyes, “Yeah, its great.”

 

I purse my lips together and get up to grab something to eat. The fruit looks so good and I haven’t had fresh strawberries in I don’t now how long. A knock at the door causes me to put down my plate just as I’m beginning to enjoy myself, but I remind myself, it’ll be there when I get back. I open the door and a shorter, Hispanic male greets me.

 

“Is Justin here?”

 

I open the door wider and he comes in, looking me over before glancing Justin’s way, “Dude, this is her, huh?”

 

Justin looks at Trace before taking a deep breath like it’s an enormous effort to speak, “Trace, Summer. Summer, Trace.”

 

Trace shakes my hand “Welcome to the tour. I’m Justin’s best friend.”

 

“Summer, the call girl for the next six months.”

 

Trace snickers and Justin throws me a look. I don’t care. The less he’s attracted to me, the better.

 

The phone rings and it’s a radio station for Justin. He fake laughs and says, “Yeah, I’m totally in love with her.”

 

Right. And I’m the next Oscar winner.

 

One of Justin’s crew comes in and silently tells him that he needed to go. Justin hung up the phone and we all vacate the room. Justin and Trace talk and walk while I follow behind, looking at the huge arena. Justin goes down in the elevator to the arena and Trace and I are left.

 

Trace clears his throat, “So, you want to come watch the concert with me or go to the hotel room?”

 

I think for a minute. Seeing anymore of Justin than absolutely necessary is the plan, but staying in the hotel room doesn’t sound appetizing, “Who’s opening for him?”

 

“I think Pink is opening.”

 

“Alright, I’ll watch.”

 

We ride the elevator to the top and make ourselves comfortable in the VIP box. The concert starts and Pink begins her set. I see Trace trying to figure what to say to me, so I acknowledge his effort to be nice, especially because I’m sure he knows what I do for a living, “Do you want to ask me something?”

 

He shifts his feet, “I just wanted to tell you he’s not as bad as he seems. Believe me, I wouldn’t have stuck around here this long if he wasn’t.”

 

“Yeah, what’s not to like? His inflated ego, his constant bragging or the flaunting of his money.” I add sarcastically.

 

Trace smiles, “You’ve got a good sense of humor.”

 

“It’s what gets me through the day.”

 

________________________________________________________________________

 

Justin comes in from the concert at about one. I am calmly reading on the couch in the hotel room when I hear, “Let’s go.” He heads to the bedroom and gives me a wave to come with him.

 

He’s got to be kidding.

 

I follow him in, “What do you need?” I say, hoping it’s something like to fold down the bed or spoon feed him dinner.

 

“What do you think I want? Get undressed.”

 

I go into a state of mind I need to be in to do this and strip down. He lays on the bed and puts on a condom, “Alright, let’s do this.”

 

I go in between him and hang my breast in his face. He removes my bra and puts his face in them, rubbing my thighs. Justin pulls my underwear off and pulls me so I sit directly on top of his penis. He groans and flips me on my back. Since I have never been comfortable being submissive when doing this job, I try to distract him. I put his hands between my legs and return to being on top. His fingers explore me and I nibble his neck before putting his hands on my waist. I ride him, moving the way he likes. He practically picks me up off him completely before letting me drop and feeling the full extent of what he has to offer.

 

Justin thrusts begin to quicken and I try to keep up with his pace. I lean down and run my tongue over his lips. He captures it in his mouth and massages my tongue with his own. I run my hands along his arms and rub myself into him. He spasms and his orgasm hits. Justin lays back and I roll back onto the bed.

 

Justin breathes heavy before I hear, “You can go back to where you were now.”

 

Really! Can I? Bastard.

 

I get up and move to the couch. It’s not as nice as the one on the tour bus, but it is one of those sectionals so I can stretch out like a bed. At least now I can sleep in peace, and I do.
Chapter 3 by Maggie
I woke up at four in the morning even though I don’t have to go until seven. It was a great show last night and I get a rush every time I sing. Still, it doesn’t fill the void that comes right after it ends. I was so pissed after the show that I dragged Summer down with me. After I got what I wanted from her, I sent her away. I wonder if she feels used or is just use to it. I look out from my room and she’s sleeping on the couch. I don’t know if I’m up because I feel guilty for what I’ve done or that I’m just loosing my mind. She’s a prostitute anyway, right? Guilt can’t be it.

 

I hear the door lock click at around six fifteen and Trace comes in, “Hey dude, I was thinking we could go have breakfast and then…”

 

He stops talking when he sees Summer on the couch, “Why is she sleeping there?”

 

I don’t look him in the eye, “Because I really didn’t want her sleeping with me.”

 

Trace just keeps staring at her, “That doesn’t mean she had to sleep on the couch. We could have got adjoining rooms or something.”

 

“Just forget about her for a minute alright? Let’s go get some breakfast.”

 

Trace reluctantly leaves the room with me and we go downstairs to get the complimentary food. We don’t say anything to each other while we eat and I barely touch my eggs. I move them around my plate and finally give up on eating. Trace on the other hand has loaded his plate so full that four people couldn’t finish it.

 

“You hungry?” I ask, eyeing the plate.

 

“I might need a snack later.”

 

I’m too tired to question him, so I throw my food away and Trace takes his with him. We get back to the room and Summer has vacated the couch. I can hear the shower running and assume she’s getting ready to leave. I go into my room and pack up my stuff which is scattered around the room. When I come out of my room fifteen minutes later, Summer is sitting on the chair in sweats, eating the food Trace brought up with him serving her orange juice. Leave it to Trace to take care of her. He believes in treating women right. I believed that once upon a time. Those days are long gone though.

 

Craig comes into the room, “Trace, your flight back to Memphis leaves in an hour. Summer and Justin, the bus is leaving in ten minutes.”

 

Summer nods and Trace notices me in the bedroom doorway, “Dude, I’ve got to get going.” I give him a manly hug and say goodbye. He stops on his way to the door and says something to Summer. She hugs him and at first he doesn’t know what to do, but eventually he puts his arms around her. What the hell? Since when does my best friend hug a prostitute? Trace grabs his bags and heads out the door.

 

Some guy from the hotel comes and takes our luggage down to the bus and Summer and I head out to the elevator. I look at her. Her dark brown hair is damp from her shower, but the new caramel highlights show through, and the sweatshirt she’s wearing swims on her body. It’s not that cold out, after all it is Nevada and jeans and a tee shirt would suffice, but she definitely looks chilly. She looks exhausted. I felt the same way during my first tour. She’ll get the hang of it soon. What really comes through though is her blue eyes. They’re deeper than mine, more intense and bright.

 

The elevator dings and we get on, saying nothing to each other. We exit the hotel and get on the bus, with the next stop being New York. Summer sits on her couch and pulls a blanket over her body. Johnny comes on the bus and I greet him, “Hey Johnny.”

 

“Hey man. You must be Summer.” He says, shaking her hand. She manages to smile a little and say hello.

 

“Okay, we won’t be in to New York until late tonight but Craig arranged for you two to have lunch at a French restaurant on the way.”

 

“Thanks Johnny.”

 

“No problem, see you in New York. It was really nice to meet you Summer.”

 

“Likewise.” She says in a small voice.

 

Johnny doesn’t know what she does for a living. Only a handful of people know, including Trace and Craig. It’s not something we want people to know. Not even close friends.

 

Lunch in public. Craig and my publicist must have worked overtime to come up with a social event that photographers would “catch” us doing couple things. Great.

 

_______________________________________________________________________

 

The bus stopped somewhere around twelve and Summer was whisked out to be primed and I was talking to one of the roadies about the setup of the stage. My hairstylist Carmen and stylist Jean comes out of the trailer with Summer following her. Oh my gosh. She’s wearing this empire waist red dress that just hits her knee. The sides of her long brown hair are pulled up in diamond barrettes, she’s got chandelier earrings on with a matching bracelet and black high heels. I guess Jean can perform miracles on anyone. But she has practiced on perfection.

 

“Alright Summer your ready. Have a nice lunch you two.” Jean gives Summer a purse and leaves us

 

“Let’s go.” I take her arm and hold it as we get into the limo and drive to the restaurant. Paparazzi follow us and I hold her closer to me, knowing that the windows on this limo are the only ones in creation that are just tinted to look like we want privacy, but are really meant for the best candid shot ever. Summer look extremely uncomfortable near me, but I ignore the fact due to the news last night. It appears my likeability factor has gone up after our little interview.

 

We get out of the car at the restaurant and I pretend to be pleasantly surprised at the fucking cameras going off in our faces. Summer smiles and I wrap my arm around her shoulder as we enter the restaurant. The waitress comes up to us, “Table for two?”

 

I give her an award winning grin, literally, “Yeah, that will be great.”

 

She escorts us to our table and leaves us with the menu. Summer looks it over and then puts it down, staring out the window. Well this is fun. I finally decided the guy across the street is probably getting some shitty pictures of her not paying me any attention, so I decide to speak up, “The lobster or shrimp looks good. You want some?”

 

She gives me a surprised look that I’ve even acknowledged her presence, “No I can’t have seafood.”

 

I frown a little, “Why not?”

 

“I’m allergic. My throat closes up when I eat it.”

 

Oh.

 

“Do you have to carry one of those pens with you?”

 

She shifts in her seat, “I would if I had medial coverage. As it is, I just try to know what I’m eating.”

 

Jeez. I never thought about not being able to afford medicine. But she could have taken a real job as a waitress or something, so whose fault is it really?

 

“What are you going to get then?” I ask, trying to keep the conversation alive.

 

“The lentil soup, I want something to warm me up.”

 

“Since were going to be spending so much time together, I should tell you the rules.”

 

Her eyes shoot fire and I can tell she doesn’t like me telling her what to do. “The rules are these; if I decide to pick up a girl at the concert, you need to vacate the hotel room. Craig or someone will see to it that you can stay someplace else. Second, I like to party alone, so if I go out your to stay in the hotel so no one gets a picture of you out with other people. Third, when were out in public shopping like after lunch, don’t ask for a damn thing. You have money now. Are we clear?”

 

She sits back against her chair and grits her teeth, “First, if some other girl wants to relieve me of my duties for the night, I’m all for it. Second, I don’t want to party with moronic celebrities and third, I don’t want anything from you. So I would say were crystal clear.”

 

She’s certainly a pistol. The waitress takes our orders and brings us our food. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a cameras getting closer so I take my hand and hold hers over the table. She gives me a hard look but doesn’t protest. We eat silently and I pay the bill, leaving to go walking around Pennsylvania’s shopping centers. I’ll do more in New York, but it makes for a nice photo opportunity now.

 

We walk around as photographers follow us and go from shop to shop. I stop in the electronics store and buy a new Ipod, since mine is getting dated and purchase a new laptop for myself. Summer looks around at the gadgets and runs her fingers over the black nano, but says nothing. If only my past girlfriends were like this, we might have lasted.

 

I drag her to the next store and the next until we reach Coach. I look at the wallets as Summer looks at the purses on the shelves. A salesgirl comes up to me, “Would you like some help?”

 

“Yeah, I’m going to get this wallet.” I say, handing it to her.

 

“What about your girlfriend? What does she need?”

 

Shit. I never considered looking like an ass of a boyfriend for not getting her something.

 

“Hey baby, come here.”

 

Summer turns around and slowly walks over to me, “Yes?”

 

I manage a smile, “Why don’t you pick something out.”

 

She gives me a look of confusion, “Uh, no thanks.”

 

She just has to be difficult.

 

“No baby, this nice salesgirl wants to know what I’m going to buy you. Because you’re my girlfriend.” I spell it out for her and I see a light bulb go off in her head.

 

“Thanks sweetheart, but I’m fine. Your right, I should be totally independent and never ask for anything.” She smiles a little too sweetly and walks away.

 

“It’ll just be this then.” I say to the sales girl. Out of all the hookers in LA, I had to get stuck with her.

 

My bodyguards Rob and Tony laugh under their breath and I shoot them a look. We leave Coach and stand on the sidewalk together.

 

“Alright, I’m going to go get a watch for myself. Tony you come with me and Rob, you stay here with Summer. I need some peace.”

 

Summer waves at me and I go get my watch I had ordered. I pay for it and walk back to where I left Summer and Rob. Neither of them are there though and I look around at all the shops. God knows what slip up she might make if the press gets a hold of her when I’m not there to correct it. Finally I see Rob in the window of Barnes & Noble and I make my way angrily into the store, but try to look calm on the outside. Summer’s got a bag with her and Rob is talking to her. They see me and freeze for a minute, then approach me. Rob tries to calm me down, “She just wanted to get a book-”

 

“I said wait there, not cater to her whims. Do you want to lose your job?”

 

Summer steps in front of Rob, “It was my fault. I made him go in with me so I could get To Kill A Mocking Bird. It’s my favorite book.”

 

“I didn’t know whores could read.” I spat.

 

She looks like I just slapped her in the face. Summer’s breath quickens and both Rob and Tony stare at me.

 

“Let’s just go. Don’t even think about making a scene out there. We’re supposed to be in love, remember?”

 

Summer stares at the ground and nods. Rob wraps his big arm around her and shields her from the cameras as we make our way back to the car. I smile some at the flashes before getting in while Summer refuses to look up. We all sit silently and Tony whispers in my ear, “Is that how you treat your girlfriend?”

 

“It’s just a publicity stunt okay? She’s go back to doing her normal job after this tour.” I whisper back, trying to distinguish that I treat my girlfriends fine, she just wasn’t really my girlfriend.

 

Summer clutches her book as we get back on the tour bus and I retire to my room. I see tears roll down her cheek even from the view I have from the door that’s just barely cracked open. She has the book hugged to her chest and is rocking her body. It was a mistake to say it. I didn’t mean to, but apologizing is out of the question. I don’t know what’s going on with me lately. I managed to her hurt her and myself at the same time. At least I’m talented. I lay back and wait for tonight when we roll into NY. Until then, I just wait.
Chapter 4 by Maggie

It’s been a week since the pig said what he said to me. I can barely stand to be in a room with him let alone pretend to be the love of his life. The good news is he hasn’t asked for sex. I’m not proud of what I have done or what I am doing, but I had no choice. I have to survive.

We arrived in New York and Justin is doing his last show here tonight. He’s somewhere out parting with some other A list celebrities and I’m here in the hotel, amusing myself with a game of solitaire. It gets addicting after the first thirty seven games you play. Justin and I haven’t spoken to each other, not that we ever have, but its nonexistent now. He doesn’t even look my way except when we leave the bus and he holds my hand. I haven’t spoken to anyone in over a week. I tried to consult with the goldfish in the room, but he isn’t the chatty type.

Sadly, the tour is taking a few days off for Thanksgiving which means I have no where to go or see. I have to stay in the hotel while everybody goes home to there families. I go to get some tea of the stove, but my hand lips and I burn my hand. I hear the door open and Justin comes in carrying a box of pizza. He puts it down and comes over to me, “It looks bad.”

No kidding Sherlock. “It’s fine, I can handle it.”

I say, sucking on the finger. Justin takes my finger and grabs a couple pieces of paper towels, wrapping ice in them and wraps it around my finger. “Do you think you need to have it looked at?”

I shake my head no, “I think it’ll be fine. It’s not that bad of a burn.”

 “I’m going to call room service for a bandage.” He says, still holding my finger which I wish he would let go off. Being this close to him makes me sick.

 “Don’t trouble yourself. I probably won’t be able to read the instruction on it anyway.”

He looks sheepish but goes for the phone anyway. Within two minutes the bandage arrives and I go for it, but he gets there first, opening it up and putting it on my finger.

 I sit on the couch and Justin put the pizza box in front of me before going to the mini fridge retrieving two bottles of water. I look at him but don’t say anything. He opens the box and folds the top underneath the bottom revealing half cheese and half pepperoni. “I didn’t know what you liked, so I assumed everyone eats cheese and pepperoni is the number one favorite topping of the average person.”

 I raise my eyebrows, “The guy at the pizza place apparently told my assistant that when she ordered it.” I just look at the pizza. The smell alone makes me want dig in, but then I would have to give Princy the satisfaction of knowing he did something right. “Look, what I said at the bookstore… I didn’t mean it. I’m sorry I said that. I was raised better.”

He looks sincere and I know from the way the apology came out, it was really hard for him. “It’s fine. Trust me, I’ve been called worse.”

I say, taking a piece of cheese pizza and taking a bite of it, savoring the taste in my mouth. “Is cheese your favorite?” he asks, taking a piece of pepperoni for himself.

“Yeah. I love brick oven style pizza. Especially from New York.”

“So, you’ve been here before?” he looks at me, tilting his head to the side.

I swallow the food in my mouth and exhale before answering, “I was born here. I lived in Brooklyn with my mom until she died from uterine cancer when I was fifteen.”

Justin stops eating and puts the piece of pizza down on the plate, “I’m so sorry.”

I shrug, “She was a drug addict. She got married when she was eighteen and had me the next year. My dad was shot by a stray bullet coming through Harlem one night, so I didn’t know him. Mom went nuts without him, getting a high since I can remember. When she died from a mixture of substances and cancer, I went into foster care but I ran away, landing a bus ticket to LA. And here I am.”

Justin looks like he feels sympathy for me, something I didn’t know he was capable of, “So out of all the things you could have done in LA, why become a hooker?”

 I close my eyes, “No one would hire me. I’m technically a high school drop out. I couldn’t even get a job washing dishes. I have low blood sugar and my thyroid doesn’t work right, which in English means I have to eat three meals a day in order to keep my body going. It also means that I’m almost always cold, that’s why I went to California. When I couldn’t afford to eat, I’d black out. So, one day I was walking the streets, some guy offered me a hundred dollars for a couple of hours and I took it.”

 “Wow. I can’t imagine being left by myself at that age. Don’t you have family?”

I shake my head, “Not that I know of. My mom told me her parents were dead and my dad’s wanted nothing to do with her or me.”

Justin takes a sip of his water before placing it back on the coffee table. He looks like he’s measuring me up and runs his hands over his face.

He looks up at me and says, “Look, since you don’t have anywhere to go for Thanksgiving, Craig thought it would be a good idea if you came with me back to Memphis at my house there. The press will eat it up and you can have a home cooked meal.”

“When do we leave?” I say, putting my head against the back of chair I’m sitting in.

“We fly out tomorrow morning at six. Speaking of which, we should probably get some sleep.”

“Okay.”

 I go over to the couch and fluff the pillows, pulling my blanket out from underneath the piece of furniture. I lay my head back and flip off the light as Justin retires to his room. Five minutes later as I have just gotten comfortable, Justin shakes my shoulder. I so don’t feel like having sex, but I get up and start taking my shirt off.

"No, come to bed," he states.

Did someone hit him in his head? "Are you sure?” I ask hesitantly.

“Yeah, I don’t like the thought of anyone sleeping on the couch unless their crashing the house for a couple of days.”

Oh yeah, than what have I been doing the last two weeks? He picks up my stuff and goes into the bedroom. I follow him and he puts my stuff on the left side of the bed. He has always favored the right. I curl up under the covers and watch him in confusion. What the hell happened? Whatever it is, I’m sleeping on a mattress again and I’m thankful. He flips off the light and gets into bed. I drift off to sleep ten minutes later. ________________________________________________________________________

Both Justin and I got dressed and got on the private jet. It’s one of the nicest things I’ve ever traveled in. Make that THE nicest thing I’ve traveled. It seats eight people with comfort being the main ingredient. I have Lucky jeans on with a babydoll shirt on. I always did favor the more flowy, romantic side.

He looks at me and shrugs his shoulder, “I date around a lot.”

“You mean you sleep around a lot.” I say, a smile playing on my lips.

“Maybe I’m looking for something.”

 I look him strait in the eye, “I’ve have had sex a lot more than you have and trust me, you won’t find it unless your in love with the person. And it’s not the sex that’s the your looking for, it’s the person.”

"No, not yet, but maybe someday. I think it’s what makes sex worth while. What about you?”

He looks at me seriously, "I think you're right."

________________________________________________________________________

The plane lands and we arrive at Justin’s mansion. I walk through the threshold and am greeted by luxury. Staying here for three days was going to be nice. Justin walks in and Rob puts our bags on the floor. “Later man. See you Summer.”

 “Bye Rob, have a nice Thanksgiving.”

Rob closes the door and Justin and I are left alone. He looks over the house like he’s trying to remember if everything’s in place. It’s obvious he doesn’t spend much time in the house. The doorbell rings and I look to Justin. “It’s probably my mom. She’s got a whole feast ready for us and is brining it over.”

Justin opens the door and greets a woman who is definitely related to him. Besides the obvious blonde hair, the facial features are similar. She hugs Justin hard, “Hey honey, I haven’t seen you in so long.”

I shake her hand cautiously, “Really nice to meet you.”

“You too. Now let’s go get the food out of my car.” Lynn says, holding Justin next to her as she fawns over him the way mothers do when they haven’t seen their children in a while.

We all sit down to eat once the food is on the table and begin some small talk before Lynn clears her throat, "So how did the two of you meet?"

Fuck. “We met…”

Justin steps in to help, “Craig actually met her first in LA and introduced us. The rest is history.”

“Well you seem nice enough. I actually haven’t met many of Justin’s girlfriends, even if they aren’t really dating my son.”

 

 If she only knew how he treated women, she’d understand why he hasn’t found the one. But I guess all mothers want to think of their children as good people who treat others with respect. The two of them talk about her life and I drink the rest of my wine.

__________________________________________________________

After dinner we sit on the couch as I plays with the dogs. Summer's so tired and I can see her eyes slipping closed as the minutes tick away. Before I know it, she's passed out on the couch.

"She seems nice."

I turn to see my mother standing in the doorway.

"She is."

"You take care of her," my mother says, pointing a finger at me while holding her wine glass.

"Yes mom," I mock.

"Get to bed, I'll see you tommorow."

"Night mom," I whisper as I watch her head up the stairs before making the move upstairs myself.

_______________________________________________________

The next thing I know I’m in Justin’s bed with him sleeping next to me. He must have carried me up, because I certainly didn’t walk up the stairs. Maybe he’s a good guy after all, just rough around the edges. Really rough.

Chapter 5 by Maggie

Alright, I apologized to her. I tried for over a week to stop myself, convince myself she wasn't worth it, but the old me made an appearance and I did it. At least now I have someone to talk to while on the road if I want. I'm still not convinced I want some girl around me twenty four seven, but it's only for a few months.

 

I took Summer home with me yesterday and she was so tired from what I assume is the constant traveling, that she passed out on the couch, probably because she was calling it home for two weeks. My mom came in and took one look at this tiny, pitiful girl and her story before falling in love. She was definitely hesitant over me "dating" a hooker, but after she saw us together, that was it. I got the speech on how I should treat her, which is why I kind of wanted to crawl into a hole and she didn't even know the whole story. She left after with a promise to return for Christmas.

 

I looked at Summer sleeping there and after all I said to her, I decided to carry her up to bed. I pick her up and she snuggles into my chest. I take her upstairs and pull down the covers before tucking her in. I stare at her for a minute then got into bed myself. Her parents must have been gorgeous because once she was cleaned up and shit, her features are stunning. I tried to sleep but after tossing and turning, I gave up.

 

I decide to make breakfast around eight with nothing else to do. I have the urge for pancakes and since I only have two days left until we go back on tour, I get out the frying pan and start cooking. I make the batter and pour it onto the griddle when Summer comes in and sits at the island on a stool quietly, "Morning. Sorry I passed out without saying goodbye to your mom. She seemed really nice."

 

"Don't worry. She liked you a lot."

 

Summer looks at her feet, "Despite, you know, everything?"

 

Her insecurities over her line of work make me wonder how she's even managed to keep it up for so long.

 

I flip a pancake over and turn around, "Because of everything. She admires the fact that you have made it on your own. She just doesn't like me sleeping with you.'

 

She perks up a little, but it's awkward. How can it not be? I slept with her more times than I can count and we can barely have a conversation.

 

"You hungry? I made some pancakes."

"Sure. I was using your master bath and it's huge,"

 

I laugh, shaking my head, "Women always notice the bathrooms."

 

Summer smiles, "Yeah I guess we do. How many bedrooms do you have in this place anyway?"

 

"About six. Five of them aren't done yet obviously."

 

"That must be nice. You can have a lot of kids later on and they could have their own rooms."

 

I give her a funny look, "I guess.... Is that what you want, a lot of kids?"

 

Summer blushes and looks away from my face, "Well yeah. I always wanted to get married as a little girl and have five or six kids. Do it right, y'know? Not that any of that matters now."

 

I can sense she feels like she revealed too much. I give her the pancakes and I pull up a stool as well and dig in. I watch her face as she eats her food and its distorted from her last comment. She's a lot quieter and picks at the food.

 

"Listen, I'm going into town to the recording studio with Trace. You can come or stay here."

 

"I'll come. It's your house, I don't want to make myself at home."

 

I jerk my head up to look at her, but she's putting her dish in the sink, "I'll go get dressed and be ready in five minutes."

 

"Can any girl be ready in five minutes?"

 

She's up the stairs and I hear, "You can time me!"

______________________________________________

Four minutes and forty eight seconds later, I drive through the familiar town and think about how much it hasn't changed. Summer sits with her back towards me, watching the kids play on the sidewalk. I park and we go inside the studio. One camera catches us on the way in, so I pull Summer towards me. She tenses up but leans against me anyway. She's definitely getting into the hang of this "couple" thing.

 

I greet the producers and Trace comes out of one of the rooms. Summer bounds right up to him and wraps her arms around his neck. Okay, she barely looks at me but manages to find it in her to worship Trace. Ugh.

 

Trace finally lets go of her and comes over to me, "You have a nice Thanksgiving?"

 

"Yeah man, mom came and we all had dinner." I answer, annoyed that Summer is now got her arm locked around Trace's.

 

"That's good. Listen, they're ready for you to start, so why don't you go on in. I'll keep Summer company out here."

 

Hell no.

 

I take Summer's other arm and pull her towards me, "No, she can come in. Summer, you can sit in the corner and watch, you just have to be quiet because they record what I sing."

 

Summer shrugs, "Fine, I guess."

 

Trace mouths "What's up?" to me, but I just shake my head to indicate nothing's wrong. Nothing's wrong with the fact that my girlfriend is all over my best friend.

 

Well, my hired girlfriend.

 

Summer sits down in the corner and starts to read again as I begin to get a few tracks down. After an hour and a half, Kevin, the producer, tells me I'm done. Summer gets up as I put my head phones down and walks out of the room. It's hard to tell whether she enjoyed any of the music since there was no expression on her face during it, and believe me I checked.

 

"I'm just going to use the ladies room. I'll be right out."

 

I wait a second, then decide to go ahead with my instincts. I'm going to reclaim what's mine.

 

I follow her and wait outside until I hear the faucet going, then turn the doorknob.

 

"What are you doing in here?" Summer asks as I lock the door.

 

"I'll give you one guess."

 

She looks at me and sighs, letting me grab her and push her against the wall. I'm slightly put off by her off-putting tone, but I push that aside. I pick her up and put her on the counter. Summer spreads her legs and I reach up under her skirt, pulling off her underwear. I unzip my pants and put on a condom. I hold on to her hips and enter her, instantly surrounded by warmth. I pump in and out of her as she holds on to my shoulders. I put my hands underneath her sweater and undo her bra so I can touch her. I latch on to her neck and nip on it a little as my hand makes its way back under her skirt, rubbing her as her walls grab on to me and contract.

 

I decide that it might be fun to spice it up a little, so I pick Summer up and press her back against the wall, thrusting as fast as I can. I shudder as I get my release, breathing hard against her as I balance her on my hips. I finally pull myself out and put her back on the counter. I clean myself off and pull up my pants, zipping them up. I turn around and Summer is putting her clothes back in their original position.

 

"Do you want me to wait for you?" I ask, watching her button up her shirt that withholds a wonderful view.

 

"Don't bother. I think I can get dressed by myself."

 

I nod and retrieve my keys from my pocket, leaving the bathroom and walk right into Trace.

 

He pulls me to the side to the corner of the room, "What's the problem man? You're acting really weird."

 

I'm not really sure I know what the problem is.

 

"I... We are just supposed to be a couple and you act like she's your girlfriend." I huff, trying to piece everything together in my mind.

 

Trace starts to looked pissed, but it changes over to a grin, "You are starting to warm up to her!"

 

I shake my head vigorously and lower my voice, "That's not it. I just want to know what's going on between the two of you."

 

"Nothing. I just listen to her. The first night I met her on the tour during your concert we talked a lot. She told about her life and I told her about mine. You know, like friends? I know what it's like not to be able to afford to live, remember?"

 

I don't say anything, feeling like an idiot.

 

Trace continues, "Obviously she has had an affect on you, if you're so afraid she's going to fall for me that you bring her into the recording room. Try being NICE to her and she might open up to you too."

 

Summer comes out of the bathroom before I can deny the new set of allegations and we immediately go quiet.

 

"What's up? She enquires to Trace more than me.

 

"Nothing, I've got to get going, but you two enjoy your last two days here. I'll see ya."

 

Summer and I get into the car as she puts her book in her lap.

 

"You really like to read huh?"

 

"Well, only the books with really small words that a whore like me could sound out."

 

I throw my head back against the seat, "I apologized, how many times is that going to be thrown back in my face?"

 

She smirks, "Until I feel your penance is served."

 

I sigh, starting the car, but go in for second try, "Since you like to read, there's this old bookstore in town and I was wondering if you wanted to go?"

 

She actually looks at me, "Really?"

 

"Really." I say, already driving there.

 

Summer runs in as soon as I put the car in park and is browsing the shelves when I finally find her. "They have a great selection. They even have the fifth edition Grapes of Wrath."

 

 She picks up book after book and holds them as she searches for more. After a few minutes of watching her sort through the selections, she picked out about a dozen.

"Alright, we can go," She says, walking towards the cash register as she digs into her purse for her wallet.

 

"That's alright, I'll pay for them." I say, taking the load from her.

 

"No thanks, I don't need you to buy me anything. Besides, doesn't that violate rule number three?"

 

I swallow hard, "You remembered huh?"

 

"Of course, fuck, I can list them." She looks down at the books, trying to pry them from my arms.

 

I never thought that she took anything I said to heart. Or remembered the numerical order of them.

 

"I know you don't need me to, but I want to." I leave with the books to pay for them before she can argue with me. After I pay, I find her standing by the door and I hand her the bag of books.

 

"Thanks, you didn't have to do that." She says, looking at me.

 

"No problem."

 

It's six o'clock and the Italian food I ordered arrives. I unwrap it and put it on two plates, bringing Summer's and mine into the living room where she is.  We each take a fork and start eating.

 

"Want to play a game?" Summer asks, twirling a piece of pasta around her fork.

 

"What?' I say, trying to figure out where that came from.

 

"I've been reading for hours and there's nothing on TV. Do you want to play a game?"

 

"What kind of game?"

 

"A board game. You know, like when you're a kid and you played Life or Monopoly?"

 

I look at her with disbelief, "A board game?"

 

She shrugs, "We might as well do something. I might die from lack of boredom. I'll talk to a tree stump at this point."

 

I think for a minute, "The only board game I have is Scrabble. My younger brother John left it here last time he visited."

 

"Scrabble it is."

 

I go and retrieve the game and Summer sets it up as I pull a chair up to the coffee table. We each pick our letters and Summer starts off by putting "cows" on the board. I think for a minute before putting down "shirt."

 

"So, since you thought of the board game, I'll start the conversation. Do you like living on the bus?"

 

Summer puts "riches" down, "Yeah, I feel safe on it. I don't have to worry about it being broken into. How do you like singing?"

 

I smile, "I love it. I like touring and singing live. It just makes sense when I'm up there." I say, putting down "shower."

 

"So, have you ever had a boyfriend?"

 

She sucks on her bottom lip, "I plead the fifth."

 

I stop talking, thinking that perhaps we are not to the point that she's comfortable answering the question. We sit in silence for a few moments before she sighs, looking at her letters. "No I haven't. I mean, before I was on the street, I had a crush on this guy at school, but he turned out to like someone else. You don't have boyfriends in my line of business. How about you? What about that girl you said you were in love with?" She puts "wasp" down and looks up at my face.

 

"Thought I was in love with. Her name was Jenna, I met her on a promotion for an NSYNC album. I started dating her and she connected herself to my side, spending the money I made. I didn't say anything because I loved her, but one day I went to her hotel room and I found her in bed with some guy. She just wanted the fame and I wasted three years of my life. But you want to know the worst part? She now works for Artista Records." I put "pain" down on the board and sit back.

 

"I'm sorry for prying. I didn't mean to." Summer says, putting her hand on top of mine.

 

"It's fine. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."

 

"Yeah, I guess it does." Summer tucks a piece of hair behind her ear and puts "comfort" down.

 

I smile, "I think you won."

 

She shakes her head, "I think it's a draw."

 

And she's right.

Chapter 6 by Maggie

Justin and I are back on the tour today. I have to say that the bus has becoming homey and I'm happy to be back on the road. Justin and I are... getting along, so it cuts down on the tension.

We now move about the bus instead of staying in our own private quarters. After hearing about his previous relationship, I understand why he did some of the things he did. It doesn't justify the things he did and said, but it makes more sense now. I don't know what it's like to have my heart broken, but I imagine if you really love the person, it's painful.

The concert tonight is going to be at the Fleet Center, but not before we do an interview with Vogue. The pictures from Memphis sent girls panting for him. He takes his girlfriend home to Memphis and they spend Thanksgiving together (insert teenybopper squeal.) They love what he does, they just wish it was them instead of me.

Justin's laying on the couch reading one of my books, which I suppose any reading will benefit him. He told me he never read Pride & Prejudice, so he's now in the middle of it. I watch the highway out the window and contemplate the spontaneity of life. Last year I was struggling to survive and this year, I'm making more than I've ever seen in my life.

We get to the interview and having been coached by Craig on what to say, I nervously walk into the building with Justin. A woman comes up to us with blonde hair and a business suit on, "I'm Erica. You must be Justin," she says, shaking his hands, "and Summer," she says, shaking mine.

"Right this way. We'll be doing your photo shoot first and then the interview."

What?

"Um, excuse me, photo shoot?"

Erica turns around, "Yes. The magazine decided because of the publicity surrounding you and the demand for pictures, we would do a photo shoot."

I look at Justin, and he looks unsure of what to do. Finally, he pulls me closer and whispers in my ear, "It'll be fine. The interview is the most important thing to nail."

"I hate pictures of me, I'm not photogenic."

"You look fine, don't worry."

Ugh.   

Erica grabs a tiny white tank top and some jeans that are pretty low waisted, "Here, change into this and we'll do your makeup after. We want some pictures of Justin with his guitar and you leaning against him and some full body shots of just the two of you."

I put on the clothes reminding myself the money I'm making and come out. Red lipstick is applied to my lips and eye liner goes on. I'm given small hoop earrings and a silver toe ring. At least I get to go barefoot. Justin comes out in jeans and a tee shirt with a guitar strapped on to his back.

The photographer comes over, "Alright Justin, sit down and strum on the guitar, Summer, you kneel behind him and wrap your arms around his neck. Put your chin on his shoulder, that's right, perfect."

I listen to him play and he's actual quite talented. This isn't horrible and it's almost over. Just keep breathing.

"Alright, now we need the full body shots. Let's go outside."

We follow the photographer and stand against the gorgeous view outside.

"Now Summer, get closer to Justin. I want your stomachs touching. Justin, pull her shirt up a little and put your hand on her bare waist."

Now it's awkward.

Justin looks at me and licks his lips before obeying the photographer, lifting my shirt up a little and putting his hand on me. We stare at each other as the photographer tells us how to move. Then comes the clincher, "Okay, lay in the grass.

Justin take off your shirt and Summer, lay on his chest. Justin takes off his shirt and lays down on the ground. I sink slowly to my knees and lay on Justin's chest. He wraps an arm around my back and pulls my shirt up a little more, running his hands along my lower back. The photographer pushes my hair up over his shoulder and his chin hits the top of my head.

The photographer finally gets what he needs, "That's a wrap. Were done."

I jump up and pull my shirt back down. Way too close for comfort. Justin follows me and we return to the building to do our interview.

We sit in the chairs provided and Erica comes back, "Okay, Justin. You're beginning a new tour with some great new music, but the talk of the town is your new love interest, Summer Mackenzie."

Justin laughs, "Yeah, it does seem to be the question of the moment."

"How did you two meet?"

"She was at an after party for the release of my album. Summer was working for one of my assistants when I saw her."

"Now Summer, both your parents are dead, your father from a gang and your mother from drugs and cancer, but then there's nothing. There is no record of you afterwards."

I clear my throat, "I was homeless and bounced from shelter to shelter, living on the streets. I was lucky enough to get picked to clean up after parties and just happened to be at the party Justin was throwing."

"Was it love at first sight for you?" Erica says, smiling at me.

"No, it was after we spent time talking to each other. You can be the most attractive person in the world, but if you can't connect with them, it won't work."

"Justin, when did you first fall in love with Summer?"

"I just looked at her one day and knew. She's so smart and funny, anyone would fall in love with her, I'm just lucky I got to her first."

"You two have been together a lot. Summer is actually on tour with you and you spent Thanksgiving together. Do you ever feel the need to have your own space?"

Justin looks at me, "No, we get along so well that were comfortable enough to be ourselves."

"Now I heard your mother was at Thanksgiving with you. Did she like Summer?"

Justin takes my hand, "I can honestly say she loved her. Mom likes to see me happy."

"Summer, how does it feel to be followed and on the news, etc."

"It's weird, but I love Justin and being with him is more important than people deciding what kind of person I am."

"Justin, is there something about Summer you love more than anything else?"

Justin adjusts himself in the chair, "The fact that she's always trying to learn something new. She spends her time reading different books or trying to read the maps as we drive from state to state. She's smart and no one pushes her to be, she wants to do it herself."

I suddenly feel really hot and I'm sure my checks are burning. I do not remember that being the rehearsed answer to the question.

Erica stops the tape, "That was great you guys. Good luck on your tour Justin."

She shook our hands again and we get back in the car to go to the venue. Justin took me up to his dressing room and we pick at the food provided. I grab a salad and Justin takes a sandwich, "You know, that was the best interview I've done in a long time."

"Really?" I ask taking another bite.

"Yeah. I was calm and I had you as a buffer. It wasn't a scolding of my life; it was a nice. There was no "I heard you were grinding on some girl in a club."

"Well that's good."

All of a sudden, my lips start to burn. I look around crazily for any chap stick to put on. Then it dawns on me what's going on. I look at my salad and in it is shrimp, buried under the lettuce. 

I shakily grab for Justin's arm, "Justin, I'm think I'm having an allergic reaction."

He looks at me, "What?"

"There was shrimp in the salad, my throat is closing up!" I say, struggling to talk.

"Just keep breathing!" He says, grabbing the phone and dialing an emergency number.

"Help's on the way Sum, just hang on." He grabs for me as throat swells and I gasp for air.  

Justin's holding me against his chest as a doctor bursts through the door. That's the last thing I remember before blacking out.

____________________________________________________________________--

I wake up in the hospital; my throat hurts as well as my thigh. They must have jabbed me with medicine when the doctor came in the room. I look to the side of me and Justin's sleeping in the chair. A nurse comes into the room and notices I'm awake, "Hi, how are you feeling?"

I sit up a little, "Tired and sore."

She smiles sympathetically, "That's common. You need to keep an epi pen with you at all times from now on."

I run my hands through my hair, "I know. I just didn't have medicalinsurnace until recently."

The nurse checks my vitals, "Your boyfriend told us. We couldn't keep him out of this room. He was pacing the hall until we let him in the room. He was very concerned about you."

I'm shocked. I never thought he'd be one to pace a hall just to see how I am.

The nurse hands me a pen, "He insisted that I give you one and to have one permanently in his rider for the remainder of the tour. The doctors had to sign a document in order to get one at every stop on your trip."

I nod, confused. Why does he care?

The nurse leaves and I look around the room. It's a grey room with no much in it. The sky outside is black and rain pours from the clouds. I look over at Justin again. What about his concert tonight? His show should have just ended five minutes ago. Shit. Now I'm responsible for a concert cancellation. I'm pretty sure a refund for those tickets cost more than there paying me. Justin stirs in the chair and opens his eyes, "You woke up. How are you?"

"Fine. Did you have to cancel the concert tonight?"

"What? Oh yeah, don't worry about it." He gets up and sits next to me on the bed.

"What are you going to do? You should have preformed, I would have been just fine. Now you disappointed fans and lost money."

"We scheduled the concert to be made up tomorrow. Everybody just won't have the day off." He brushes some hair out of my face, "Besides, who would be here to make sure your okay when you woke up."

I pull my head back from him a little, "When did they say I could leave?"

"Tomorrow morning. They just want to make sure you are fine."

I pull at the hospital bracelet on my wrist, "What time are you leaving?"

He pulls his head back, "I'm not. Visitors can spend the night, so I said I would."

My stomach turns a little and I feel guilty for keeping him here, "You don't have to stay. I'll be fine by myself."

Justin shakes his head, "No, I'm not leaving you here by yourself. I called Trace and told him you were okay before he had a heart attack when he turned on the TV."

He reaches down by the bedside, "I bought a word search while I was waiting to be let into your room. It's not a board game, but I figured there's nothing else to do."

I take the book from his hand, "Did I ever tell you how much I love word searches? I bet I can find more words than you can."  

He grins, "No way. I did these on the tour in Germany when I first started out. I'm a pro."

I manage to smile, "Bring it on Playboy."

_______________________________________

I was finally released from the hospital early this morning. Justin's team had to give the press a news conference to tell them I was all right. I can't imagine these people caring about whether I am alive or not, but dating Justin makes me news. I never thought about the fame that would come with this. When everything's all set and done, they'll never forget that I once "dated" him. It will follow me wherever I go from now on no matter what road I take. 

Justin's putting in a practice session and I watch him dance and sing. His talent is obvious to onlookers, as people get ready for the show, putting things in place. Craig approaches me as I sit in the audience seats, "You okay?"

"Just a scare."

"A scare that almost cost you your life." Craig reminds me.

"So I've been told." I add playfully to lighten the mood.

"Hospital's orders, you need to go rest." He says, patting me on the knee. I think it's the first time he's touched me. I think I'm growing on him.

"Oh, alright." I walk to the bus and get on to grab my book before I go to the hotel.

Immediately I'm greeted with the smell of roses. I walk all the way inside and the bus is transformed. The once black furniture is replaced with white oversized pieces. Red roses lay in a vase on a side table and where there used to be bare wall space, a tiny bookshelf sits.

I go into the bedroom and the comforter is also replaced from black to a peaceful yellow. Chick flicks are next to my side of the bed on a rack and a first edition of A Little Princess is resting on my pillow. I hold the book delicately and wonder how anyone got his or her hands on it. 

I look at the small table we eat on and there in thyroid medication prescribed for me. I suck in and look around at it all in wonder. Did Justin do all this?

I hear footsteps climb the bus and I get up from the bed and go out to the living space. Justin is looking for something in the cabinet and has yet to notice my presence,

"Hey."

He spins around, "Hi, I thought you'd be resting in the hotel room."

"I'm going. Did you do all of this?"

"Um... yeah, kinda. He says quietly.

"Why?"

"We both have to live on it for the next five months. It was a little dark anyway." He clears his throat, "Come on, let's get you checked into the hotel room."

I follow him in a trance, unaware of what a proper thank you is for this type of gift. The one thing I cannot seem to grasp his why he would do this. I glance back at the bus as I leave, thinking nothing has ever been as beautiful at this. 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=928