Save Me From Myself by Bobbilynn
Summary: Audrina Littrell is a sensation.  A singing, writing, producing sensation.  After selling nearly 92 million copies of three albums in four years, her career is put on hold when a congenital defect that had stricken her brother in the years prior suddenly reared its head in her life.  After taking time off to take care of herself, she's back with a new album, a new view on life and a new, old problem that she is afraid to face alone.
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 36 Completed: Yes Word count: 156448 Read: 93697 Published: Mar 17, 2008 Updated: Aug 14, 2008
Story Notes:
Yeah, I know I shouldn't have started a new one, but this has been stirring in my head for a long time.  This story means a lot to me, being that I centered it around something most of us can relate to: heart disease.  My grandfather had it, my mother has mitrovalve prolapse and I have a murmur (though it's nearly gone and not serious).  I am a part of the HHC (The Foundation Brian Littrell actually founded, which has done a lot of good - check it out) and I wanted to put a twist on what already had happened to him and bring it to life once more.  Not every celebrity has a perfect life, and this is where Audrina comes in.

1. Chapter 1 by Bobbilynn

2. Chapter 2 by Bobbilynn

3. And the festivities begin! [[Album Release!]] by Bobbilynn

4. Chapter 3 by Bobbilynn

5. Chapter 4 by Bobbilynn

6. Chapter 5 by Bobbilynn

7. Chapter 6 by Bobbilynn

8. Chapter 7 by Bobbilynn

9. Chapter 8 by Bobbilynn

10. Chapter 9 by Bobbilynn

11. Chapter 10 by Bobbilynn

12. Chapter 11 by Bobbilynn

13. Chapter 12 by Bobbilynn

14. Chapter 13 by Bobbilynn

15. Chapter 14 by Bobbilynn

16. Chapter 15 by Bobbilynn

17. Chapter 16 by Bobbilynn

18. Chapter 17 by Bobbilynn

19. Chapter 18 by Bobbilynn

20. Chapter 19 by Bobbilynn

21. Chapter 20 by Bobbilynn

22. Chapter 21 by Bobbilynn

23. Chapter 22 by Bobbilynn

24. Chapter 23 by Bobbilynn

25. Chapter 24 by Bobbilynn

26. Chapter 25 by Bobbilynn

27. Chapter 26 by Bobbilynn

28. Chapter 27 by Bobbilynn

29. Chapter 28 by Bobbilynn

30. Chapter 29 by Bobbilynn

31. Chapter 30 by Bobbilynn

32. Chapter 31 by Bobbilynn

33. Chapter 32 by Bobbilynn

34. (The Actual) Epilogue by Bobbilynn

35. Apparently, doing this at 4AM isn't good for my brain ... by Bobbilynn

35. Thank you! by Bobbilynn

Chapter 1 by Bobbilynn

"The past six years have been one big rollercoaster ride. A ride with never ending drops, climbs and sudden flips that would drive any one mad. Three platinum albums; a well-publicized romance and the biggest heartbreak; three sold-out world tours; and a diagnosis that brought the entire rollercoaster to a complete stop. After four years, I'm back. Join me on the new rollercoaster ride I'm on with the last six months before my album drops with promotional tours, photoshoots and all the writing, recording and awkward situations that I've always put myself into. Take a look into my personal life with my family, the crazy relationship I have with my brother Brian and the ... interesting collaborating relationship I have with my ex-romance and take a look into the fast-paced day-to-day process of that of a returning Pop Star. Hear my uncensored thoughts, my breakdowns, my exciting moments ... this is me, without limitations. This is raw, untouched. You think you know, but you have no idea. This is ... the Diary of Audrina Littrell."

She stood in the wings of TRL Studios, eyes casting away from the jumbo screen in the center of the stage that had just played a commercial of their show, Diary that she had just finished recording. Nerves were fluttering, heart pounding as she listened to Lyndsey Rodriques introduce her. This was it.

"Our next guest is making her comeback after four years away from the spotlight; having sold ninety million dollars and marketing another forty in merchandising and DVD sales alone. She sold-out three world tours and in 2004 began work on her own line of perfumes but abruptly pulled out and took personal time off. Known before as the baby sister of Brian Littrell, she definitely made her name stand out from his. Now, returning to the spotlight with a new album dropping next week and already a number one single for the last three weeks, everyone give a warm welcome to Audrina Littrell!"

She inhaled, releasing the air and hearing the first single from her new album blare from the speakers as she walked towards Lyndsey, a broad smile on her face. She had missed this.

"Hi, Audrina!"

"Hello, hello," she greeted, walking into Lyndsey's extended arms and hugging her tightly. "It's so nice to be here, I've missed this studio!"

"And we've all missed seeing you! How've you been? In good health these days? We know that you had taken personal time off to care for yourself ..."

She tucked a hair behind her ear, nodding. "I've been feeling pretty good lately; the adreneline is really keeping me feeling upbeat and very, very excited about all of this. Gotta take care of myself, and I'm definitely not overlooking any of that."

"Are you excited for your album to be released?"

"Excited, nervous, scared ... all these crazy emotions that I'm not quite sure where they came from. I'm so afraid people aren't going to accept me coming back and that I'm just going to be another object to be put on a shelf. I just hope people haven't forgotten me!"

Lyndsey smiled, gesturing towards the audience and towards the streets behind them. "I don't think you need to worry about being forgotten, Audrina: we had to have police calm down all your fans out there and we had to turn down everyone trying to come up because there was no room! Your single is number one, too - it's sold the most digitally and in stores than any single this year. I'd say you're making an amazing comeback."

"I hope so," she chuckled, watching as Lyndsey walked towards a fan who was crying. "Aww, honey ..." she followed Lyndsey, feeling the heart strings tug as she reached for the girl's hand and hugged her when she stood up. "I've missed you guys!"

"They've missed you, too," she laughed, the fan sitting down and putting a hand to her mouth in shock at what had just happened. "We actually have a clip coming up after this break involving Audrina and one of the most pivotal scenese I had ever seen in Diary history. So stay tuned!"

"So how are you feeling?"

Audrina turned, seeing Lyndsey approach her with a sad smile. "I know all this excitement can really cause a world of difference on how someone feels, but at the end of the day ... and I know I probably shouldn't be asking, but that music is loud and I know they really can't hear me ..."

Audrina gave her a weak smile. "It's a good day. Been a good week, too. You have your ups and downs with everything though."

Lyndsey nodded. "The whole industry has been so excited you came back, Audrina; you were a positive influence on girls everywhere and everyone adored you. It was such a shock when you left."

"But now I'm back," she assured, "I'm not going to give it up easily. I just needed to take time to know how to take care of myself, how to treat the disease. I needed to have time to mend my heart. Emotionally and physically."

"We're on in 5, 4, 3, 2 ..."

Lyndsey turned, smiling at the camera. "And we're back with our special guest Audrina Littrell, who just returned from a four-year hiatus to release her new album, Resurrection, which has been getting rave reviews by the media and consumers alike from just the first single! You've collaborated with a lot of people on this album ..."

She nodded, in awe of how quickly her demeanor had changed as soon as the cameras rolled. If something went wrong, hopefully it did not, she prayed she'd be able to do the same. She wasn't meant to be an actress, though.

"It's not a shock that you worked with your brother, but the one that definitely had tongues wagging was the name that followed right after Brian's: JC Chasez. With the history, was it difficult to work with someone you had been in a relationship with before?"

"To be honest," she started, inhaling and exhaling quickly, her nerves were starting again, "at first, yes. For the first year after our break-up, we barely spoke. You take someone who you had been with from the time you were barely twenty one up until the time you were twenty six and it's an awkward situation to suddenly be working on such an intimate album with. But, he and I have been through so much together, after a few awkward moments, it was just as if we were back before we began dating when he was the little producer who liked to push my buttons because he knew I could do better than I had."

"It says he's featured on the album, did he have a song with you?"

She nodded. "Probably the most raw of the songs I have on the album. It was written after many glasses of wine and a lot of reminiscing. He and I both have a respect for each other that I don't think anyone could understand. We both love each other, after all that we've been through, it'd be ridiculous to say it wasn't true. He's been there for me when no one else has - when Brian wasn't able to be."

"Like when you were diagnosed."

"Yes," she nodded, blinking hard to keep the emotions at bay. "Brian was in Germany when I started getting sick and was wrapping up the last tour date when I was getting my tests done. He and JC were both there when I got my results. He was there when Brian had his third surgery to repair yet another hole and was there when they thought he wasn't going to make it through."

"But he did."

"He did. It was actually a year before all my problems began."

"Right now, we're going to go to our number six video from Justin Timberlake. After the video, we'll be getting a sneak peek at just what happened during the whole ordeal when Audrina shows footage exclusively for Diary from her own tapings."

"Audrina, you have a phone call!"

She turned her head, the executive producer holding out the phone for her. "What?"

"Your brother! But make it quick, okay? We've only got two minutes!"

She nodded, walking up and accepting the phone. "Brian?"

"Hey, kiddo," his voice said breezily, "I see you on tv. You doing okay?"

"Yeah, but how did you -"

"You'd think with your celebrity status you'd take advantage of it once in a while," he joked. "I was just seeing how you were doing. I know what's coming up. What's in the video, who is in the video -"

"Brian, JC and I are fine. We're friends. Maybe not the closest of friends, but we're okay."

"And the heart thing -"

"I have to talk about it sooner or later -"

"Don't divulge too much. Don't forget we do Oprah tomorrow."

"Which means you fly in tonight?"

"Don't tell me you forgot."

She sighed deeply. She had. "I'm sorry, Brian. Things have just been crazy and this medicine makes me forgetful sometimes ..."

"Just as long as you're taking it makes me feel a whole lot better," he said sadly. "I just don't understand ..."

"Thirty seconds, Audrina."

"Bri, I gotta go. They're coming back from the video. Call me when you land, okay?"

"I will. I love you."

"I love you too, Brian." She hung up, handing the phone back to the producer as she stepped back on the stage, smiling widely, though bothered by her brother's call. Though she wasn't sure why, his voice had been eerie. She hadn't seen him in four weeks, so maybe it was just him being tired from touring with the Boys, or chasing a five-year-old around. Maybe it was just him being tired all in all.

"And now, we have a featured clip from Diary, a clip of video that Audrina had allowed MTV to use in filming exclusively for this. Audrina, do you want to introduce this?"

She looked over at the screen, seeing the green screen with the stamp of 'Brand Spankin' New' in the middle. Why not? She was already airing her dirty laundry. Why not be the one who is caught hanging it? "Sure." She turned the camera, unable to force a smile to her face. "Here is a clip from my Diary special, featuring myself, my Cardiologist and my former boyfriend, JC Chasez. Enjoy."

"In 2004, right after I had begun my world tour and my album dropped, I began experiencing a lot of problems I had witnessed my brother go through: shortness of breath, fatigue, and palpitations. I had brushed it off, but when my sudden weight gain had made magazine covers stating that I was pregnant, my family grew alarmed. Brian himself had called me and told me to take care of myself, to get checked out and I put it off until the tour was over. That was when my entire life changed. On May 6, 2004, my tour ended. On May 18th, what had been my life had ended. The following clip is actually footage from a documentary that I had permitted Brian's close friend tape, though it never made the documentary because Brian himself found it too emotional for even him to discuss. The following is also a little graphic, so be forewarned."

The video cut to black for a few short moments, suddenly blurring back to another screen and focusing on Audrina lying on her left on the examination table, JC sitting by her side and holding her hand as a doctor listened to her heart numerous times, the stethoscope resting over her bare breast, though it was blurred out. It zoomed in as the doctor put a gel onto her chest, the lights dim as he switched on a monitor and the pulsing of her heart was heard, his words captioned beneath.

"There is definite irregularities. That 'swoosh swoosh' sound is your valve letting blood in and out almost as if it were gargling it like mouth wash, which it shouldn't be doing. I don't even need to do the other EKG or the MRI to know that this is what you have. Luckily, we caught it in time before it worsened. It is very rare for a woman your age to have this, Audrina; but with your family history, I am not surprised. Why it had not been caught before is beyond me. We're going to have to do some more tests and run a Transesophageal Echocardiagram, where we put a scope down your throat and get a picture and video of what we really have to work with ...."

"Simple things became a chore for me. Things that used to take no struggle were suddenly tiring me out quickly. I slept, I hid away from my family, my brother, my boyfriend. Heart disease to me was a death wish. Especially, for women. I was angry at my parents for having me, knowing that Brian's condition was congenital, angry at God, angry at myself for ignoring what had been me thinking I was overworking myself for a disease. Valvular Stenosis. A disease that is treatable, but in cases could lead to heart failure and possibly death if overlooked for too long. Had I overlooked it too long? Was my death sooner than I had wanted it to be?"

"I was given medications control my heartbeat. Antiarrhythmic medications. Mitral Valve had always given me an irregular heartbeat as a child, but I never suspected it to lead to more. It was more common than people understood, it followed closely by murmurs, but suddenly, a common condition was my execution."

The screen left an emotional looking Audrina to a past video of a wide-angled shot of the front of her house, her beloved Range Rover sitting in the arch of the driveway, Brian's blond head appearing on the screen, rummaging for keys in his hands as he approached the front door. The camera followed him as he went inside, hollering her name as he set his things down one by one as he walked: keys, carry-on bag filled with clothes he was going to have while he stayed with her, hooded sweatshirt. He toed off his shoes, leaving them too as he walked, hand gripping her banister and walking up the slightly curved staircase to the stairs.

The house was her pride and joy. It had originally been Jessica Simpson's bachelorette pad after her split with Nick Lachey, it a four bedroom, three bath abode that was more classic than modern, with large windows and open spaces that she had filled to make it feel more like home. It was her retreat away from the world, and retreat, she did.

"Rina? Come on, I know you're in there ..."

The camera settled on the two french doors of the master bedroom, Brian standing desperately in front of them. Within a few moments, the door opened slowly, Brian pushing it to open more to his liking as he took in the sight of his sister. He had been the first person she let see her after she found out, the only person for a few more days. The door closed behind him, and as the video faded out, her cries and his low, soothing sounds were the last things heard to the viewer.

Audrina turned away from the screen, fale pale as she relived the moments once more. It had been an emotional few weeks, the few weeks where she decided to put off her career to take care of herself. Though it was a hard decision to make, it was the best decision she had made.



She sat, curled on her couch with a blanket around her shoulders and a mug of hot tea nursed in her hands as she watched an old episode of 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition'. The day had been exhausting, and as she sat in the back seat of her limo as it took her home, the calls of the ultra plush couch she had bought just for exhausted kind of occasion had been echoing in her ears since TRL had ended.

Of course, after TRL she had to take a trip down to Virgin Megastore with Lyndsey and sign a few hundred of her singles and take photos with the people who had camped out below TRL to catch even a glimpse of her.

She remembered feeling this way years ago as a fresh-faced twenty-two-year-old, but here she was, two years shy of thirty and she felt like she was sixty.

"Are you ready? Everyone say it with me! Bus driver, MOVE THAT BUS!"Everytime. Everytime she watched their reactions she became almost as emotional as the families that had gotten a new home were. And almost everytime, she ended up crying the rest of the episode. There wasn't an exception this time, either.

She wiped at her eyes frantically when she heard someone knock gently before opening the door, she muting the television as she heard her name being called softly, it echoing through the high ceilings of the foyer and into her ears. Her heart skipped a beat. It couldn't be.

Putting her mug down and pulling the blanket off, she got up and stepped lightly into the hall, the dimmed chandelier casting a barely there glow to the smiling face standing in the middle of the foyer. "JC?"

"Hey, darlin'," he said softly, eyes knitting in confusion as he saw the traces of tears on her face. "What's wrong? You okay? Brian? What happened?"

"Huh?" She froze as he motioned towards her eyes, she blushing slightly as she reached up and wiped the remnants of teardrops. "I was just watching Ty."

"I should have known," he laughed. "I swear you have every show TiVoed."

"I do."

"Well, come over and give me a proper hello, would you? I haven't seen you in nearly three months."

"That's cause we don't date anymore and my album is finished?"

"Oh, so that is what you called me for? To put my name to your record? I see how it is," he teased, turning on his heel as she protested, he laughing. "I came over to see you. Happened to catch the last bit of TRL and wanted to see how you're doing."

"You and Brian, I swear," she mumbled, motioning for him to follow her as she went back into the room, the show still playing in silent. She sat down, leaving the remote but grabbing her blanket and grabbing the tea once more as JC sat down opposite her on the couch. "I'm fine, Jace. You know if I were to be having problems you'd be second in line after my family to know."

"I know, I just ... I worry."

"Well, stop," she said, giving him a sad smile. "I'm twenty-eight if you remember correctly, JC. Not eight. I don't need people to hold my hand constantly."

"But sometimes, it's nice."

"I'll give you that."

"You know what else you can give me?"

She looked over at JC with a raised eyebrow. "You know, some men just don't change."

He laughed, shaking his head. "No, no, no! I meant, I'd like a hug. I haven't gotten one from you yet."

She sipped her tea, setting the mug down and leaning over, her body weight against his as he hugged her tightly. "I did miss you."

"I missed you too, Rina," he said softly, kissing the top of her head and tightening his grip around her. It felt good to hold her again, even after the small absence of her not being around, the environment was always different when she was there. It had been a scary last two years with her when she was diagnosed, and he had never taken another hug or kiss for granted. He still didn't.

"Are you going to stay for a while? Brian should be getting in from his flight in about an hour."

"Maybe for a little bit longer," he replied, "I don't want to cut in on brother-sister time."

"You're always welcome here, JC," she said softly. "Really."

"I know," he nodded, "and I appreciate that. But I know you haven't seen him in a while so I'd be like a third wheel while you two play catch up." She had released her grip around his neck from the hug, but her head was still resting on his shoulder, though he wasn't really complaining. The family on the television were hugging, too, tears of happiness falling down their faces. They had been granted their one wish.

He closed his eyes, letting the faint scent of her apple body spray linger in his nose as he remembered back then, when all he did was wish for her to be healthy. So far, his wish was holding steady, no major problems occurring. So far. She shifted her weight and sat back down, head resting on the back of the couch cushion as he studied her face. "So how do you feel?"

"Tired," she said softly, shrugging. "But it's a side affect of the medication, too. I've had a long day, so I'm sure that's adding up to it. But it's good to see a familiar face in the midst of all the strangeness of today."

"I'm glad I could be the familiar face," he smiled as she reached forward, cupping the side of his cheek and rubbing his skin gently with her thumb. "I'm surprised you aren't napping."

"I've got after death to nap."

His heart skipped a beat, the familiar dropping feeling in his chest once more at the mention of death coming from her. "Audrina -"

"Life is not meant to be wasted by sleep, Jace. I didn't mean it like that -"

"But it is ten o'clock. You could call it an early night," he said softly, heart still pounding. Suddenly, death scared him shitless.

"I'll just lie here," she said softly, hiding a yawn behind her hands as she spoke to him. "Can I use your leg as a pillow?"

He laughed. "Of course. Your bony head was missed by my thigh."

"I don't have a bony head," she mumbled, barely giving him a fight with that line, "you've just got toothpicks for legs." She lay her head down, pulling the blanket up to her shoulder as she lie on her side, watching the beginnings of another show. "Thank you for coming to see me."

He put his hand to the blonde hairs that were falling on his legs, running his fingers gently through her hair was he felt her sigh deeply. "Anytime, Rine; anytime." He continued stroking her hair, her breathing slowly becoming deep and even, signalling that she had fallen asleep. He knew it would happen, she wasn't one to fight sleep very hard.

Covering her with the blanket a little more, he leaned forward, grabbing the remote and lowering the volume, unmuting it so that the voices were low, barely heard, though he could understand. It was then that he made a promise to himself: the relationship that he and Audrina had was purely work-related now. He didn't care what he had to do, what he had to prove, but he'd ease his way into her life again, he'd be the one to take care of her if she needed it. Suddenly, he wanted to be near her at all times. He wasn't going to lose her.

End Notes:
As always, please review!  I definitely need feedback for this one!
Chapter 2 by Bobbilynn

She tugged on the green camisole she wore, jacket hanging on her arm as she sat in the car that awaited in front of the studios as they waited for her escort to help her inside the building without being attacked by media and fans. "Brian, what if this flops? What if I'm a commercial disaster? That my leaving was basically the death of my career?"

"That's nonsense," he argued, "Everyone loved you before and with the reception you're getting now, I highly doubt you'll flop. Besides, Rina, you're one of the most talented people in the industry." He smiled, they both turning their head as the door opened and a hand appeared to help her out. She accepted the hand, slightly cringing at the screams that pierced her ears, she looking up and waving to her fans as Brian stepped out behind her. If it were possible, the screams got even louder, she feeling him reach for her upper arm as she slowed, letting him link her arm with his. "Besides, who else will I collaborate with once the guys take another brief hiatus? I'd rather be here than at home thinking about it."

She chuckled, looking over at him as he squeezed her arm in reassurance. "Coming from Mr. Homebody? You go overseas for how long and you aren't even dying to see your wife and child?"

"Of course I want to see them," he smiled, they both stopping to sign autographs, "but I haven't seen you in a while and I know that once promotion picks up even more, I won't see you for months on end."

She turned, catching his cheesy grin as he glanced over his shoulder, she laughing and finishing up a few more signatures before turning and saying goodbye as she went into the studio, Brian following quickly behind. "I actually get to stay in New York up until the album is dropped and then I fly out to LA. So I'm here for another like, week or so."

"And then album drop day," he grinned, she suddenly feeling nervous. "Don't worry, you're gonna do great. The guys wish you luck, too. They all flew back to Florida for other things, though AJ may be meeting me in LA in a few days for a premiere."

"You'll have to give him a hug for me," she smiled, turning towards the producer that was approaching her. "Hello."

"Miss Littrell," he said professionally, nodding his head at Brian, "Mr. Littrell -"

"Oh goodness, we sound like we're married," Brian laughed, he shuddering behind her, "Brian is good for me, and I'm sure it'd be okay to call her Audrina."

"Very well," he said, giving them a gentle smile, "Audrina, if you just follow me to hair and make-up, you can meet Oprah in a little bit and she'll rundown what she'll be discussing so there aren't any awkward moments. Brian, they're waiting for you down in wardobe."

"Wardrobe?"

Audrina laughed, turning to look at him, "I kind of requested it, since I knew you'd be in a t-shirt and jeans -"

"Rine -"

"It's Oprah, Brian. Slacks and a button-up, come on."

"God, you sound like mom and Leigh."

"I learned from the best," she laughed, waving him off, "I'll see you in a little bit!"

"Yeah, yeah," he mumbled, waving back at her as an assistant whisked him off. "You owe me!"

"Yeah, yeah," she mocked, grinning as they took her into the make-up room, a woman saying her hello with a wide smile as Audrina sat down. "I'm Audrina."

"Stacy," she smiled, shaking her hand. "It's so nice to see you back, Audrina. I was such a big fan before you went on your personal leave. And I love the new single."

"Thank you," she smiled, looking up as Stacy dabbed foundation under her eyes, "I liked that song, too."

"It sounds like JC had a touch on it. Really upbeat and very ... him."

She laughed. "Actually, it was all me. But I guess being with and around him for so long, you start doing things like the other person. I grew to love his tastes in the studio and it rubbed off I guess." She laughed, opening her eyes as Stacy grinned, dipping the brush into the black for eyeliner. "The record label actually wants to release the song we did together for a movie, so it's probably going to be the second single along with the song Brian and I worked on."

"Really?"

"Yeah," she smiled. "Some romantic comedy that Kate Hudson is in? Was it Kate Hudson?" She pursed her lips, thinking. "Or maybe it was Scarlett Johannsen? Gah, I don't know," she rolled her eyes at herself, shrugging. "I'm never good with what they tell me about movies. I go to watch them, but couldn't tell you who was in them."

Stacy laughed, using the bronzer on her cheeks and forehead. "At least you're good with names of people you work with, right? I mean, you never called JC someone else's name ... like AJ or something!"

Audrina grinned, watching her in the mirror as she applied eyeshadow, working on her lipgloss after. It was a silent few minutes as she finished up, Stacy placing a hand on her shoulder, "Toni will be in to do your hair, okay?"

She nodded, waving to Stacy as she left, her name being paged over the intercom. Shortly after her disappearance, Toni stood in the door, a broad smile on his face. "Hello, gorgeous," he greeted as she chuckled, saying hello. "Nothing too fancy, how about just down and straight?"

"Works for me," she smiled, reaching up and releasing her hair from the low ponytail she had it in, "more manageable that way, anyway."

"I'll say," he grinned, running his fingers in her hair, "you've got beautiful hair."

She chuckled, watching him play around on the counter with the hair straightener and hair products. "So, nervous?"

"Nervous isn't the word," she laughed uneasily, he laughing as he played with her hair some more. He finished quickly, wardrobe coming in and changing her into a pair of black pants and a deep red blouse. Soon, she was joining Brian at the side of the stage, waiting for them both to be introduced. "You look good, big brother."

He looked at her with a serious face, suddenly giving her the biggest grin he could stretch across his face. Looking down at the gray slacks and black sweater, he smiled. "I would have much rather been in my jeans, but I can live."

"If wardobe was up to you, you'd be in your plaid golf pants and a pink vest."

"I would," he grinned. "And you'd be in shorts and a tank top."

"Amen."

He chuckled, reaching over and wrapping an arm around her shoulder, listening as Oprah spoke of them briefly after the clip Audrina had shown at TRL the day before. "Still nervous?"

"A little."

"Maybe your nerves would be a little calm if you saw who was in the audience."

"Huh?"

He chuckled, pulling away from her and pointing out into the left section. "Look. Third person in, black button-up."

She gasped. "JC?!"

"The silent support system," Brian smiled, nudging her with his shoulder. "Plus, I think he's got some freaky crush on Oprah."

She chuckled. "I didn't know he was coming -"

"I uh, I asked him to." Brian gave her a shamed look, she shaking her head in disbelief. "Rina, he's been a part of your life for so long. I think he has been my favorite person you ever were with -"

"Why, because he worked on the album with you guys?"

He laughed. "No, because he was good. He's a genuinely good guy and he cares about you, regardless of your relationship. Why else did he show yesterday? Oh, and plus he doesn't know you know. It was a surprise."

"Our next guests are well-known in the music industry as the powerhouse brother-sister duo, both working independently and taking the world by storm: he with a platinum selling Christian album and part of the phenomenal group, Backstreet Boys; she a ninety million album selling artist, surpassing the pop princess Britney Spears and a marketable merchandise line that sells in the millions every year. Please welcome Brian and Audrina Littrell!"

She opened her mouth to speak, they both being motioned to go. "Saved by the introduction, Littrell," she mumbled, putting a smile on her face as Brian chuckled, following her out as Oprah got up, greeting them both. She sat down closest to Oprah, she smiling brightly at her. "It feels so good to sit on this couch again!"

Oprah laughed. "That's right! You were here right before your last tour kicked off. You were just a ball of energy!"

"I wish I had that much now," she chuckled. "It's surprising how much energy just drains as the years pass. Not to mention medication and training for touring again." She grinned, Oprah glancing at the two. "That, and chasing a nephew around on the playground."

"He is a ball of energy," Brian concluded, laughing. "Just like the two of us."

"Well, until you started middle school and then I was the shafted sibling because you were too cool for me."

Oprah laughed. "But look at you two now! Your next single being released is with the two of you collaborating on the song and you guys seem to be seen everywhere together -"

"I'm her big brother, I need to know what's she's doing at all times."

"Now, isn't that what a boyfriend is for?"

"Not with a Littrell," Brian laughed, Audrina shaking her head in disbelief. "Besides, she's single so I get to watch out for her."

"Shows how desperate I am," Audrina grinned, "my brother is broadcasting I'm single because he's sick of watching out for me."

"No, I -"

"Oh, don't deny it."

"I -"

"Ssh, Brian." Audrina laughed, looking back at Oprah. "He knows I've got good friends who call and check up on me when there's time to. We're all grown adults with jobs and careers. Some have families or some's family are their co-workers."

"You have quite a famous friend circle, too," Oprah smiled as photos flashed of her with Aundrea Fimbres and Aubrey O'Day from Danity Kane; one of her with Christina Aguilera; Kourtney Kardashian of the Kardashians; Nicole Scherzinger from the Pussycat Dolls. "How did you meet them all?"

"She's a social butterfly," Brian joked, "that and she just doesn't shut up."

Audrina jabbed him slightly with her elbow, grinning back at her. "I wrote with Aubrey and Aundrea during my time off. Aundrea and I had hit it off before, she was working at a studio and we just clicked. Aubrey was just thrown into the mix shortly after. Christina and I just got to know each other through Justin Timberlake when we both toured with him and I actually just sent her this whole load of baby clothes for Max, who is the most adorable baby I have ever seen ... besides my own nephew, of course. Kourtney and Nicole I've actually known for a while. Probably around the time I started is when I met Kourtney and Nicole and I met a few years prior when we were both trying to get into the business."

"And you keep in touch with most of them?"

"For the most part, Aundrea and Aubrey. It must be the 'Au' of our names, or something," she laughed, shaking her head. "Drea calls me almost daily to check in, to see how I'm doing, to tell me how she and Aubrey are doing, and Aubrey and I seem to be playing phone tag lately. They're probably my closest girl friends."

"And the guys," Oprah trailed off, eyes going back to the screen as the entire audience 'aww'ed at the picture of Brian and Audrina when they were about 7 and 2, Brian sitting on the couch with Audrina in his lap, matching smiles brightening up the photo. "Baby Littrell's! Now if you two didn't look alike now, you definitely did back then!"

They both laughed, Audrina hiding her reddening cheeks as another photo came up, she being carried on Brian's back when they were about 16 and 11. "Who is the culprit of these photos?"

Brian grinned. "I am, of course. Well, and mom."

"I was so geeky!" She shook her head, looking at the screen as shots of her with Nick Carter, AJ McLean and Howie Dorough flashed. "Aw, Kevin!"

"And this is the infamous cousin, Kevin Richardson," Oprah smiled, gesturing out towards the audience. "He used to be a part of the group with you, Brian."

"Yes, and then he left to become a daddy," Brian grinned. "Our honorary nephew Mason. Looks like Audrina at her age."

"And then we have this ..."

Audrina turned, eyes following Oprah's gaze and feeling her stomach twist as a photo of she and JC appeared, fresh into dating. She was tucked underneath his arm, they both sunburnt and tired, though very happy after a celebrity volleyball match, both adorned in their bathing suits. Soon, another followed from the two of them at the Grammy's, he in a classic black suit and she in a deep red Valentino gown. They were caught in mid-gaze, she smiling up at him with her hands resting on his chest, his hands holding at her waist. She jutted out her lip, suddenly feeling eyes on the back of her head. The next photo showed up, it of the she, Brian and JC at the Healthy Heart Club charity event, her head thrown back in laughter as JC held her torso, Brian holding onto her legs as they 'tugged' for possession of her.

Licking her lips, she fought back emotions, the last photo nearly bringing the tears to the corners of her eyes. It was in her backyard after her twenty-fifth birthday, the two of them lying togther with their legs tangled in the hammock, her head in the curve of his neck, his hand behind it, laced in her hair. They had both fallen asleep from all the excitement, the photo taken by her mother once they were found an hour later.

"Those were the days," she said, trying to sound cheery as she wiped tears away slightly, though masking it as just rubbing her face. Brian placed his hand on top of hers, squeezing gently to say he was there, she looking back at Oprah.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded, biting her lip. "It was just seeing all those people, every single one of them, have been there for me and I really don't know where I'd be if it weren't for them. They're the most amazing people with the biggest hearts."

"Of course, we asked you on this show to talk about just that: your heart. Brian's, too. Now, many people know that you, Brian, have battled heart problems since you were about five-years-old, when you battled for your life and ended up surviving, to just end up having two more surgeries, the most recent in June of 2004 to repair yet another hole."

"Yeah, Rina and I got the luck of the draw," Brian said, he lifting his arm and putting it behind her on the couch, turning his body so he could see his sister and Oprah equally. "What I have is a congenital heart defect, Ventricular Septal Defect, which is a hole in the ventricle. Luckily, I've had the holes caught early on with regular visits to my cardiologist, also Rina's, and have been a clean bill of health since. Audrina has Valvular Stenosis, which is basically the valve being smaller than it should be due to the leaflets being fused. They don't close all the way and blood leaks, and since the valve is so small, it makes the heart work harder. Both of our conditions can bring us both to heart failure, but we've been given the 'OK' to live life as normal, and we will. I've been touring, and she's just getting ready to go out on the road herself."

"Do you take an precautions?"

"I usually have an oxygen mask just in case, and for the first few months, I will have a doctor, just in case I think something is wrong," Audrina stated. "Brian did the same after his first surgery, and he came through fine. His is a little more serious, but they have given us both positive outlooks."

"With positivity came the Healthy Heart Club and the 'Family of Heart Disease Patients' foundation and charity, that you both founded and run, along with the camp you have for children of heart disease over the summer. Camp Healthy Heart."

"Which is a rip-off of the HHC," Audrina laughed. "But Brian allowed so it's okay."

"So the treatment. Do you take medications?"

"We both do, just to keep our hearts pumping normally," Audrina said softly. "He's got two and I've got one. It hasn't been too bad. Just hope that I won't need to up how much I take."

"What about the rest of your life? You came back from a personal hiatus and now you're releasing your album in just a week, your single has been number one for nearly a month and you've got a special on MTV airing tonight. No one special in your life? You're really single?"

She laughed, Brian chuckling beside her. "You say that like it's a bad thing! I just haven't really thought about being with anyone else but myself. My life is crazy and it's not something I'd want to bring just anyone into. When you are in a relationship that lasted for so long, your heart," she stopped, licking her lips, yet again feeling JC's eyes burn into her skin, "your heart just isn't into wanting to replace what it had before." She inhaled slowly, blowing the air out quickly as she glanced at Brian, he giving her a warm smile and a gentle squeeze of her shoulder. "When you invest six years with someone, your heart is fully theirs. It's not something that can be taken back so easily."

"And this relationship, you speak of JC Chasez, right? You two also collaborated on your album with a song that is actually going to be featuring in the movie 'Tragically Yours' coming out this summer. How is that going? Not the typical, 'don't ever talk to me again' ending to a relationship?"

"When we broke up," Audrina said softly, "we both wanted two different things. It wasn't as if we had done something wrong. It was a mutual break-up, but it hurt nonetheless. He had been a major part of my life for so long, had held my hand through so many procedures when I was sick, when Brian got sick; he was there when my albums reached number one, when I received my Grammy's; birthday parties, afterparties. Through all the good and the bad, he was there. He never ran away, never once had to leave the room when they'd poke and prod me with needles. When Brian couldn't be there, I knew he would be. If he was, JC was still there, being my support system. And when I called him to tell him of my decision to come back onto the music scene, he was so supportive and so ready to help me with whatever he could. It just seemed right to have him on the album."

"With a song called 'You & I', one that you stated in an interview was written over a lot of wine." Oprah laughed as Audrina grinned.

"A lot of wine. A lot of laughter. A lot of everything, really. It was really surprising to be able to be so comfortable with him, but then again, we were both in the same place where we had met. Brian had brought him in to help with a few songs and we really clicked. It was just like old times."

"Well, I've got a little surprise for you," Oprah smiled as she got up, Audrina following her with her eyes. It really wasn't a surprise, but she'd let her think it was. Turning her head to meet Brian's shamed gaze, she shook her head and looked back at Oprah as she spoke into the audience, JC's form standing up and walking down the stairs towards her. "JC agreed to sit in the audience while we spoke with you, and he's actually got something to say."

Her heart began to pound, instinctively putting her hand to her chest as Brian raised an eyebrow, she shaking her head to keep his worry at bay. What did he have to say? What was so important that he couldn't tell her last night? Or later today?

"Brian," she said softly, feeling his eyes on the side of her face, "please tell me she's joking."

"I wish I could," he replied back, his voice low. "I honestly didn't know this was going to happen ..."

"Figured."

JC chuckled, the two siblings bringing their attention back to the man standing across the stage with a microphone in his hand. "It's nothing bad, Rina, I promise." He grinned as her heart beats slowed to a normal rhythm, he clearing his throat and speaking. "You and I had been together for six years. And in those six years, I got see you at your most vulnerable for more than two. No one wants to see anyone they care about go through so much in your family, within yourself without feeling helpless. What you don't know, what no one knows, was that when you were diagnosed, my entire world came crashing down on me. I thought I was going to lose the one person who meant the world to me. I got educated then. I read up on your disease, on Brian's and I wanted to help. I know there's not much that anyone but your body can do to help you, but I know every little bit helps, so this is why I've got this." He pulled out a white piece of paper, both Audrina and Brian squinting to look at it. It was a check. "This is a check for two million dollars from myself, Lance, Chris, Justin and Joey, who have cared for you as long as I have," he said softly, biting his lip as she saw the emotion wash over his face, tears running down her cheeks, "one million for the Healthy Heart Club and the other for your foundation. I want anyone who suffers from heart disease to be taken care of, Brian to be taken care of ... you to be taken care of. All the money in the world can't buy a cure, but it can bring a step closer to someone finding it, right? That has been my one wish for the last four years: for you, Brian and everyone else out there, to not ever worry about it.

"You and Brian have been part of my family for more than seven years. From the moment I met you guys, the moment you and I became close, Audrina, your family's struggle was my own. When something happened and you hurt, I hurt. You're one of my best friends, Rina. I'm going to do everything in my power to keep you healthy. I love you guys."

Brian got up, he walking across the stage and accepting JC's outstretched hand, pulling him into a friendly hug. "Thank you, Jace. You don't know how much this means to me, to us. To everyone." He pulled away from the hug, all eyes on Audrina as she still remained seated, perfectly manicured hand to mouth as tears fell down her face. "Rina?"

Brian's voice came as an echo to her ears, she standing up slowly, heart thudding in her ears. Brian slowly approached her, she set only on the dark-haired man that stood directly in front of her then, shaking her head in disbelief as he looked at her, unsure of her actions. When she closed in on him, her arms wrapped around his neck, hugging him tightly as he laughed in relief, the entire audience clapping and cheering. "Thank you," she said softly, he tightening his grip on her, "you didn't have to do this, Jace. I know I have your support, and the guys'."

"I wanted to do this," he whispered, "I love you Rine; you're one of my best friends. I'm just trying to make sure that I've got you for life."

"You will," she said, pulling away and putting her hands to his cheeks as she looked into his eyes, "you will."

He grinned, nodding as she pulled away and looked at Brian, he wrapping an arm around her shoulder as JC came to her other side, she leaning into him. "I also wanted to tell you," he said, leaning down so that his mouth was by her ear, "to say hello to your tour partner."

"My what?" She looked up at him, confused. "Who?"

Laughing, he knelt back down. "Me."

She shook her head in disbelief as Oprah cued the show back to commercial. "But you - the show on MTV -"

"Found a replacement. They gave me a choice: tour with you or judge another season of the show. You know what my choice would have been."

"Music. Always music."

"Yep."

"And having me there doesn't hurt."

"I'm gonna try and be cordial to you."

She pushed him in a mock hurt manner, he grinning and wrapping his arms around her neck, looking down and gnawing at her head as she cried out in surprise. "You're such a weirdo."

"But you love me anyway."

"Sadly, I do."

"Heyyyy ..."

She grinned, turning back to Oprah as she motioned for the three of them to sit down. This time, she took a seat in between both men, Brian's hand clasping one of hers, while JC's held her other. As Oprah welcoming the audience back to the show, she began to speak.

"In case you missed what happened before the break, we've been sitting and talking to the Littrell's about their struggle and fight against heart disease. JC Chasez, a fellow musician and close friend to Audrina, just presented the siblings with a two million dollar check. Which, by the way," Oprah said, turning back into her chair to look at them, "we're going to double. I'm going to donate two million dollars of my own for both charities. Each."

"Aw, now you're just making me look bad!"

The whole audience laughed at JC's joke, Audrina squeezing his hand as he looked at her, still smiling.

"If you would like to donate money to the Healthy Heart Club or Family of Heart Disease Patients, log on to www.healthyheartclub.com or call 1-800-YOUR-FHDP. Thank you for tuning in and be sure to catch Audrina's very raw, very heartfelt episode of 'Diary' on MTV tonight at 10PM. Tomorrow, our guests include Debra Messing, Dr. Phil and musical guest KT Tunstall. Good night, everybody!"

"I'm going to go change out of these clothes. Meet you at the car," Brian said, excusing himself quickly as he walked out into the wings, waving to the audience as Oprah spoke to them.

 

"I can't believe you did this," she said softly, hand still holding the check in her hand. "How did you manage to get the guys to donate?"

"Manage? They asked to be part of it," JC said softly, giving her a weak smile. "Even if they weren't going to do it, there'd still be two million dollars there."

"Jace -"

"Audrina, I have more than enough money to live happily on without having to work a day in my life. But I choose to. I choose to donate my money to make you happy, healthy. Joey knew about me doing it first and mentioned it to Lance, who called me and said he wanted to pitch in. That, in turn, fell into Chris' grapevine who then told Justin. I then got a call from an angry Justin because I didn't call him to help. Let's just say, there are four men who would give up all their money to help a friend."

She looked back up from the check, eyes searching his face. "And you?"

"I'd give up everything to help you," he said softly, hand reaching forward and brushing a strand of hair away from her face. "I have to go. Flight to LA to start rehearsal for the tour."

"Jace -"

"I'll see you on the 25th," he smiled. "You're flying to LA for the drop, right? After New York?"

She nodded. "But I won't be there until -"

"We're going to party late into the night, Drine. We're going to have a lot to celebrate."

"Jace -"

"What?"

"Can I finish a senten-"

"No."

"JC!"

He laughed. "I was joking! Go ahead."

"Thank you."

He crossed the stage once more, placing a kiss to her forehead. "Anything for a friend. I'll see you on the 25th, 'kay? Take it easy and don't overwork yourself or I'm coming back to kick your ass."

"I will."

"Bye, darlin'."

"Bye, Jace."

She sighed deeply, looking down at the check. Anything for a friend. Friend. A year ago, when they were first starting to work together on her album, it wouldn't have bothered her. But suddenly, it did. Suddenly, friend was the worst insult she had ever heard in her entire life.

End Notes:
And the festivities begin! [[Album Release!]] by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Just a fun little thing I decided to do - yes, my graphic making skills suck and no, I don't care, hahahaha.  Be sure to read Chapter 2 if you haven't yet!

**Not at an actual chapter!**  =]

Audrina Has Risen
Resurrection drops today!















 










Girl's Day!
New York City
March 25, 2008




"It's a girl's day!"  Aundrea Fimbes said excitedly as the trio walked Soho hand-in-hand with matching smiles.  "We're getting pretty for tonight!"

The three women were later spotted at a salon getting manicures and pedicures (Audrina looked fresh-faced after a facial later on in the afternoon) and at a corner bistro snacking on sandwiches and coffee.

A few hours after their lunch, Audrina was spotted in TRL studios while the two-fourths of Danity Kane went into the studio audience to support their best friend. 

"She's such a beautiful person with a beautiful, strong heart," Aubrey O'Day smiled as the two exited the studio to wait for their friend in the awaiting car to take them to the airport for Audrina's album party later on that night (much later), "I don't think there is one person in this world that can say one bad thing about her."

"Well, maybe that she and JC aren't together anymore!"  Fimbres joked.  "But we're happy they're still friends, he took care of her.  He's a good guy."

"And she's a great, amazing woman."  O'Day finished, the two girls being escorted by bodyguards to the awaiting limo.  "Pick up her album, you'll see!"

"Pick up two copies!"  Fimbres grinned.  "Support our girl!"



Club North
Sunset Blvd.




These three beauties turned heads at the album release party of Audrina Littrell, who returned to the music industry after taking four years off to tend to heart problems.  "It's an amazing feeling to be welcomed with such open arms as I have," she said sincerely, "I never once in my wildest dreams imagined this.  Everyone has been so amazing and supportive that even if I sold one album, I'd be the most happiest woman in the world."

She was seen the entire night with her two best friends, Aubrey O'Day and Aundrea Fimbres close by.  "Those two girls have been my strength when I felt as if this were just a losing game.  They are awesome.  I could not have asked for better friends than Drea or Bree."

Brother, Brian Littrell, was also seen close-by for most of the party with his wife, Leighanne.  "I'm so proud of her," he declared, "she's the strongest woman I've ever known!"

Another partygoer even spotted former flame, JC Chasez, gushing about her.  "She's strong, so strong," he was overheard saying, "there's no one in this world that deserves this more than her.  She's got a close-knit bunch behind her every step of the way.  The album is amazing.  I can't wait to see how it does."

Littrell's album dropped March 25.




 

Chapter 3 by Bobbilynn

"Rina, take a breather, your album is already released, girl," Aundrea Fimbres grinned, placing a hand on her friend's shoulder as she ran vigorously on the treadmill. "Seriously, you're going to overwork yourself. I don't know one thing about first aid and I don't think you want me doing mouth-to-mouth on you."

"Especially when I don't know where those lips have been," Audrina joked, grinning as her friend feigned hurt. "Oh, Drea, lighten up. I'm fine. I just need to run off some thoughts, some alcohol from last night ..."

"A little hungover are we?"

"If little means a lot, then yes." She smiled, slowing the piece of equipment down before bringing it to a complete stop. "Where's Bree? Still in bed?"

"It's 6AM, we don't have anything to do for the next week and then starting next month we're on a four month break. Where do you think she's at?"

"Definitely in bed with the pillow over her head and blankets piled on top." She took a long sip of her water, looking at her friend as Aundrea's eyes looked her friend over. "What, Aundrea?" She gasped from breath from drinking so long, Aundrea's eyes widening. "Don't you be getting all cautious on me, too. I just drank too much without breathing."

"I know, but -" She stopped, shaking her head. "I do have something on my mind."

"What's that?" Audrina pulled her zip-up cardigan off the rail of the treadmill, tossing it onto her shoulder and headed for the showers, Aundrea in tow. "What's going on in that mind, little lady?"

"You."

"Me? Why me?"

"And JC."

"And JC?" Audrina spun around, eyebrow raised in perplexion. "Why?"

"Well, you told me what he said to you and you really seemed bothered by it. Now, it's bothering me and I really want to find out why."

"Why it bothered you? I don't know. You never dated the guy."

"No, why it bothered you. When something bothers you, it bothers me and I try to fix it but I can't when I don't know what the reason is."

"Do we have to talk about this right now?" Audrina pushed open the locker room door, steam hitting both girls' faces as they stepped into the area by the showers, Audrina disappearing behind a shower door and tossing her friend the clothes she had been wearing. "We're in the middle of a gym, with God knows what on the floor ..."

"We do," she said softly. "This is partially why I woke up this early. "Drina, I know he hurt you back then. I know you hurt him. But it wasn't something the two of you could fix. He wasn't ready for marriage, you were. It could be different now. It could -"

"I don't want to be with him, Drea."

Aundrea looked at the shower door in confusion. "But you said it bothered you."

"Because I had never heard him call me friend before. I was always darlin' or baby. Even girlfriend. Being someone's friend after being in love with them for six years is a weird thing to be handed."

"So you don't love him?"

"Of course I do, I just ..." Audrina sighed, it masked slightly by the heavy falling water from the shower. "I just don't see myself being with him anymore. I don't know if I even love him that way. Some parts of me will always love him, but the others just want to pick up and find someone else to love me and accept me for all my problems."

"I don't think you'll find someone who will."

"Thanks for the support, Drea."

"I didn't mean it like that," she said, exhasperated, "I just meant, I don't think you'll ever find someone who accepted everything like JC did. Who will be able to handle everything that happened, and will happen in your life quite like him. Not only is he in the same business, but he was there from the start, from your problem start. He knows you, Drine. No one else ever will know that vulnerable part of you like he does."

"So basically, I'm gonna be an old maid."

"No, you just won't ever find someone as good as him that can take care of you the way he does."

"Can you please get my towel from out of my bag in the locker?"

"Which one?"

"The only one that's closed."

Aundrea turned on her heel, careful not slip. "I'm just saying that -"

"I can't take care of myself? That no one is good enough for me besides him? That I should just throw my life away and not get married because he didn't want to?"

Aundrea turned, her friend's head poking out from the top of the stall. "That's not gonna happen, Drea. I waited four years to see if he was ready, but two more years later, he wasn't. I'm not waiting sixty years to get a marriage proposal."

"Maybe he didn't think you were ready."

"He knew I was ready by the time I hit 23! We talked about it Drea. He just didn't want it. He doesn't want to be tied down like that. Relationships are one thing, but he doesn't want to be responsible for another person living under his roof."

"For the last year and a half of your relationship, you lived with him. He took care of you, he fed you, he bought you nice things! That's taking care of someone, also known as: responsibility!"

"Yeah, well, apparently, even that couldn't change his mind." Her hand appeared, taking the towel Aundrea gave her and opening the door shortly after. "I could have a dying wish to be married and he'd still say no. It's just something he won't budge on and I wasn't going to waste my time or his being in a relationship that wouldn't go the way neither of us wanted."

"Well, after seven years, it's common-law marriage," Aundrea joked, seeing the look her friend gave her, "well, it's true! My aunt and uncle are married by common-law! One more year and you would have technically been married!"

"I didn't want to trap him into anything he didn't want to be a part of," Audrina said softly. "That's not who I am. If I don't find someone, then so be it."

"If I were a lesbian, I'd marry you."

She laughed, rummaging through her bag for her clothes. "I love you too, Aundrea."

"If it were legal, I'd marry you."

"I know, I know; you and Bree can't get anough of me."

"Don't you know it," Aundrea grinned, plopping down on the bench on the other side of her friend's gym bag. "So how do you feel today?"

"Tired," she said, looking at her. "I didn't take the medication yesterday -"

"Drine -"

"I knew I was going to drink, so I didn't take it because I knew it'd have a really bad affect. But I took it this morning and I'm just physically exhausted. It's like my mind wants to go, but my body is lying on the floor begging to sleep."

"And mentally?"

"Exhausted. Excited. Eager."

"Lots of E's today, my dear."

"It's been the longest day, I want to know how my album is doing," she shrugged. "I'm nervous. I know compared to four years ago, it will be a flop compared to my other albums because of digital downloads and whatever, but I want to know if it sold good, if the majority of my fanbase stuck by me."

"Well," Aundrea bit her lip, looking at her friend, "I talked to Diddy last night and he said the earliest he could find out is five days from now. Maybe four. He said from his understanding, there were people lined up at Virgin Megastore in New York waiting to buy the album from the time we were at TRL and on. Probably earlier, but he hadn't been in New York until the evening."

"Excited to go on tour?"

"It's only a three month tour to get warmed up. World tour doesn't start until October."

"Well, it's still a tour," she smiled, looking at her friend as she pulled away the towel, pulling on her t-shirt. "You're going all across the nation."

"I know ..."

"Don't be so excited, Drine."

"I'm sorry, I'm just tired," she shrugged, sitting down and pulling on her tennis shoes. "You think you can take me home? I don't think I'll be able to drive."

"Sure." Aundrea studied her friend's paled and tired face, worried. "You're okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

"You're listening to your body?"

"Yes," she said, voice barely there as she yawned. "I just overworked myself. Thinking about things and that medicine."

She watched her friend place a hand to her chest as she took a deep breath, knowing the sudden symptom of palpitations. If something happened when she was alone ... "You want to me hang around after we get to your house?"

"No, I'll be okay," Audrina said, looking up at meeting her friend's gaze. "The fluttering was only momental. Sometimes exercise does that to me. Worked my heart a little too much."

She was desperate. "Please?"

"Drea ..."

"I just don't want to go and be home alone right now," she said quickly, watching as her friend's perfectly plucked eyebrows raised in disbelief. "That, and I'm playing a worried friend. Just let me come and stay for a little bit for my own benefit."

She sighed deeply. "All right. But I'm telling you, I'm fine."

"I'll believe it when you stop clutching at your chest," she replied. "Are you sure you're okay? Should I call your doctor anyway?"

"No. I'm good. I told you why it happened."

"Okay." She trailed behind her friend, watching as she literally dragged her feet out of the locker room and into the main lobby, the receptionist smiling. "Finally leaving, huh? You must be a ball of energy this early in the morning!"

"Sometimes," she said softly, waving as she pushed the door open weakly.

Aundrea bit her lip. Palpitations. Weakness. Being tired. Pulling out her Blackberry, she pulling out a new SMS message and promptly contacted JC.

I think we've got a major issue.

Never the early riser, she didn't expect a message back until a few hours later. When she reached her car, Audrina leaning up against it and yawning dramatically, her phone vibrated. She pulled it out quickly, scanning the message and jumping when she heard her friend's curious voice.

"Bree up?"

"Yeah, she says hi. Jumping in the shower and may come bring lunch later."

"Okay."

She watched her drop and lift her head in a lazy nod, getting in the car as she looked down.

What's going on? Aubree break a heel again? lol

If only it were that simple.

Don't get crazy on me. You have to promise me.
Let me deal with this.

She got into the car, watching her friend buckle her seatbelt and lean up against the headrest. "You all right?"

"The moment I sat down, I realized just how much I liked doing it."

Aundrea laughed. "All right, Drine."

I can't make any promises. You okay?
Bree?

She started the car, glancing over at her friend who was already close to sleep. She caught herself looking down at her chest, studying the slow and even rise and fall of her chest. Maybe she was okay. Maybe she was overreacting.

I just need to know symptoms.

She pulled the car onto the main road, Audrina's home only two minutes away.

Symptoms of what? Sometimers?

She stopped at a redlight, glancing down and smirking. Yeah, for him.

For Audrina. Please don't freak
and call me or her. She says she
is fine and doesn't want to be
bothered with my questions
anymore, but something doesn't
feel right to me. I just need to

know what to look for.

She pulled away from the intersection, pushing the gas slightly to hurry to her home, pushing the code for her gate and driving quickly to the front door. "Drine, we're home. Why don't you go lie down and I'll grab a movie?"

Audrina opened her eyes, nodding. "Okay. Don't take too long 'cause I may fall asleep."

She smiled. "I won't. Don't forget the slow one is Aubrey!"

"Almost forgot," she said, giving her a lopsided grin. "Pick a good one."

"I will." She watched her friend go into the house, she cutting the engine and looking down at her phone.

This is me freaking, Drea. Call me.
NOW.

Aundrea took a deep breath, dialing his number and putting the phone to her ear, waiting for him to pick up. When he did, it was a frantic JC. "I told you not to freak, Jace."

"Who said I was freaking?! I'm not freaking! What's going on? What's she doing? Why isn't she listening to herself?"

"Because it might be nothing, I'm just being a worried friend here, Jace."

He was silent for a minute, she hearing him take slow intakes of breath. "Okay," he said, she picturing him calming himself down, "breathing. Her breathing is normal?"

She sighed. "Yeah. But she was at the gym all morning and I think she overworked her body, Jace. You know she can't push herself the way she used to and I saw her grab at her chest, I saw her inhale to try and catch her breath -"

"Palpitations. But that could be brought on by stress or caffeine."

"She did say she was there to work off stress and had a lot of things on her mind."

"Then, she's probably okay. She does know her body, Drea."

"Yeah, but she could barely even open the door without using her entire body."

"Exhaustion. She's had a long few days. And I'm sure working out didn't make it any better."

"True ..."

"It's good you called, Drea. You're watching her, just keep watching her. Watch her breathing, that's the only thing you can really do. If it becomes erratic, you need to call an ambulance. She knows when something is wrong, just trust her. She's got the drive to live, she's not gonna let herself get horribly sick."

"Okay," Aundrea said softly, shakily, "okay. She and I are going to watch a movie, but I think she'll be asleep even before I get up there to put it in the dvd player."

"Call me in an hour or two. Let me know how she is. Usually if those symptoms are legit, something will happen in a short time so -"

Short time. Aundrea got out of her car, slamming it and pushing the alarm on it as she ran into the house, grabbing the first movie she saw and made it up the stairs, seeing her friend sitting on the bed, covered up completely in her blankets. "I forgot my keys. Be right back!" She tossed the dvd to her, Audrina laughing. She'd ask why later.

"She's all right."

"Like I said, just watch her."

"Okay."

"Call me later."

"Bye." She hung up, taking a calming breath and heading back up the stairs. "Drina?"

"Earnest Scared Stupid?"

She blushed. Maybe a little more time taken to grab a reasonable DVD would have worked. "Hey, it's a classic," she fibbed, jumping up onto the bed and bouncing slightly, Audrina's bed much softer than the one she had. "Besides, from the looks of it, you're going to go to sleep anyway, right?" She glanced over, seeing her friend already lying on her side facing her, eyes slowly dropping. "You okay?"

"Mmmhmm," she said softly, voice a low hum. "Enjoy the movie, Drea."

Aundrea watched her friend bury her face into the pillows, eye just visible as she chuckled. Getting up and putting the movie in, she smirked to herself. She hadn't watched this since she was like, 8. Sitting back down on the bed, she curled up beside her friend, eyes studying her face in caution. Was she really okay? Or was she not wanting to see what was going on with her own body?

She closed her eyes, making a silent prayer that it was just the mothering instinct in her making her overreact rather than something actually being wrong. She didn't realize how tired she was, because as soon as her prayer was done, she couldn't bring herself to open her eyes, sleep fighting it's way beneath her lids.


Audrina dreamt that she was sitting on the tour bus. But it was different. She was sitting on the bus in 2003. JC was sitting on the couch, her head in his lap as his hands played with the hairs by her face, laughing as he looked down and talked to her. In once instant, she was pinned on the floor, he pinning her wrists above her head as they both laughed, she squirming beneath him as he called for her to call truce. She denied him of that, somehow regaining her strength and managing to wiggle slightly free, he laughing as he grabbed her again, pulling her into yet another pin, face merely inches away from hers.

"Say 'uncle'."

She stuck her tongue out slightly, shaking her head. "Never."

Grinning, he grabbed both of her wrists with one hand, using the free one to begin tickling her, she sreaming in protest. "Now are you gonna say it?"

"Jace, I'm gonna pee myself, stop!"

"Say it!"

"JC!" She screamed his name then, he laughing and putting his mouth to hers, silencing her as she slowly gave up her fight with the poking in her sides, also giving in to his kisses.

They were warm, passionate. The one hand still held her wrists, but the other had stopped tickling her, it now running gently up and down her side, moving in rhythm with his lips. But suddenly, they were suffocating, she was scrambling to breathe, frantic to inhale but he wouldn't let her go. She hit him, struggled, his mouth still on hers. The world was going black, her heart was racing. Suffocating. He was trying to kill her.

Aundrea woke up shortly after the movie had ended, her phone beeping and bed moving slightly. Glancing over, seeing her friend's eyes flutter in dream, she smirked, reaching for her phone that was lying beside her.

Three new SMS messages.


Is she okay?

Glancing over, she nodded to herself. Yeah, she was okay.

I'm gonna come drop off
some stuff before we leave
for tour in a bit. I partially
just want to be able to check
on her myself. For my sanity's
sake.

She chuckled. It was typical JC. He always worried about her, even when she was laughing and smiling. Why the two of them couldn't just grow up, get over it and get it on again was beyond her. Everyone else was so ready for their reunion. Everyone except those two.

Her phone beeped again. Aubrey.

Hey baby muff. How's it going with
Drine and movies? Want some
more company? I would have
asked her but she hasn't
answered her phone.

She smiled. They would never learn that Audrina and cell phones never mixed. She hated them and never had hers on her.

And then she heard it. A quick, raspy breath followed by a wheeze. The breathing was erratic, not in rhythm at all. "Drina?" She reached over, touching her skin, it cool to the touch. Her heart fell to the pit of her stomach. "Audrina!"

Her eyes fluttered, though didn't open fully as she watched the woman try to focus on her. "Dr-dr-ea-a?"

She was gasping for breath, and suddenly, as her friend woke more, she shot up, hand to her chest as she began to panic, she reaching for Aundrea. "I need to call an ambulance, I have to call an ambulance!"

Audrina felt her heart racing, she trying to calm herself to a normal breathing pattern. Her chest felt tight. Panic had tightened her chest so tight that she couldn't even grasp a small piece of calm, a sense of normalcy. Aundrea's frantic voice was heard on her phone, everything seeming so far away. Maybe she didn't listen to her body good enough. Was that going to be her death sentence? Having selective hearing for once and it sending her to the early grave. Why was Aundrea echoing?

She pulled herself up to a standing position, still dressed in the clothes she had worn after her shower from the gym. Suddenly, the sports bra and track pants were hot. She was hot. Her throat was tightening. "Drea ..." She reached for her friend, gripping onto the night stand. Aundrea turned, eyes wide as she scrambling to the other side of the bed, grabbing her friend. "I'll ... I'll be okay. I just need to walk it off ..."

She was calming. Slowly. She had palpitation attacks before; attacks that had left her breathless for short moments in time. But this, this was different. Why couldn't she get her breath back? Why was she dizzy?

"She's fainting! Oh, God, she's fainting ..."

She heard Aundrea's phone drop, it cracking against the dresser that she stood by, her hands grabbing for her, catching her by the arms. She didn't have any air. The breathing was knocking the wind right out of her. It was dark again.
Chapter 4 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
I was on a roll tonight.  Two chapters, haha.  Sad that I have to get up in three hours, but oh well =]  Hopefully, this is gonna start tying one of the many loose ends that JC and Audrina have given their so-called relationship with each other =]  Make sure you read Chapter 3!

"She just started breathing really funny and I don't know, it all happened so fast -" Aundrea watched as they pumped oxygen into Audrina's mouth and nose from a mask, she conscious though very groggy as they wheeled the gurney into the ambulance. The tears had subsided, she holding her phone by her face as Aubrey listened from the phone as the paramedic spoke of what they had done to her and where they were taking her.

"She's stable. Usually, we'd be taking her to the closest hospital, but with her heart problems, we're taking her to Cedars. They have a cardiac unit and people there trained for this kind of emergency. It seems like she only had a minor problem, but you can't chance it."

Aundrea nodded. "Thank you, thank you so much."

"Do you want to ride with her to the hospital?"

"Yes. I do, yes -" she stopped, hearing a car pull up the drive quickly.

 

 

He saw the lights down the road. With the threat of rain, the sky was dark, the red contrasting against the deep gray visibly. "Audrina," he said softly, feeling panic as he pressed the gas pedal down, slamming on the breaks and getting out of his car, not even turning the car off. "What the hell happened?! Where is she?!"

Aundrea went up to him quickly, the tears falling again as she replayed what happened. "They said she's going to be fine, at least to their knowledge without all the cardiac equipment; she's responsive, but really groggy and -"

He swiped a hand down his face. "You were right. I should have made you press her. I should have come earlier -"

"She wouldn't have went; we both know that."

"Ma'am, we're leaving."

He looked at Aundrea, she looking at him. "What?"

"You go," she said softly, he seeing her hands shake and how pale she was. "I need to call Aubrey back and I have to call Brian and let him know what's going on. I'll meet you at the hospital."

"Okay," he said, putting a comforting hand on her shoulder as he passed her, following quickly behind the paramedic and getting into the back of the ambulance, cringing at the loud, echoing sound of the doors slamming. "Drina," he said softly, sitting down on the seat beside her, watching her open her eyes slowly, turning her head towards his voice. She smiled weakly beneath the mask, lifting up her hand as he took it between his two.

She reached for the mask shakily, pulling it off of her face and down to her chin. "You didn't have to come," she said quietly. "I'm okay, really."

"You had me so scared, Audrina," he said sadly, her lip jutting out, "I pulled in to see an ambulance and a distraught Aundrea, not knowing what to think -"

"I'm okay, Jace, really ..."

He tightened his grip on her hand, sighing deeply. "That we know of. So far. What if it got worse, Drina? What if -"

"Then we deal with it," she said. "So I carry an oxygen tank on stage with me every night," she joked, "the show must go on."

"That's not funny."

She frowned. "I thought it was." She studied his face, eyes growing heavy. "Oh, come on, Jace; instead of dancing with chairs and canes, I'm tossing a tank around."

"You're sick, Audrina. Why is that so funny?"

She was quiet, pulling his hands towards her, kissing his skin gently, it warm against her very cool lips. "I'm only making light of what was a dark situation, Jace. I don't want a pity party."

"But you do need to take care of yourself!"


"Fine. What do you want me to do? Hire a private nurse to live at the house so she can watch me swallow a pill every day? Is that what you want? To stop exercising and make my heart weaker? Or do you want me to live in a bed for the rest of my life in fear of me getting sick somehow and it going to my lungs and travel to my heart?"

"You're unbelievable."

"And you are being way too overprotective." She closed her eyes, all eyes on her as she inhaled slowly, it shaky, painstakingly slow as she cringed. "Heart's still fluttering a little," she mumbled. "It had stopped before ..."

"Stress this time, probably," the paramedic said, looking at the monitor above her head, "your heartbeats are pretty much back to normal, oxygen intake slightly low, though nothing to worry about, and your blood pressure is fine. Why don't you keep your mask on though to keep that air going through your lungs though, all right? Let's not overwork that area at this time."

She nodded, fumbling with the mask as JC released one of his hands, leaning forward and helping her place it back on her face. She squeezed his hand weakly in appreciation, unable to keep her eyes open anymore as she took another breath, it sounding more like a sigh.

He leaned forward, letting his head drop. Not once in his life had he been so scared than when he was pulling into that driveway and seeing them put her in the ambulance. Not even when he found out exactly how sick she could be and what could happen if she got sicker. He always had that fright in the back of his head, losing her completely than what he already had lost with her. To him, pushing her away would make it easier. Pushing her away, feeding her lies, maybe they'd make her hate him and make him love her less. Feed her lies, make her believe everything he fed her. What reason had he ever given her before to not believe it? He wasn't the marrying type. He didn't want to be married. He wanted to just be a bachelor for the rest of his life.

For a while, it was somewhat true. From the time he was twenty, anyway. He was thrust into the spotlight and grew up. Saw Joey start a family, grew into adulthood quicker than he was ready for and when the group took an indefinite hiatus and eventually broke up, he wanted to grasp the life of a young adult that he didn't get to do. He partied, stayed up late, slept in until the evening and spent insane amounts of money on cars and clothes - things he didn't need.

But now, here he was, closing in on 32, nearly twelve years after his normalcy had been yanked away. He had chased after it for so long, from the time he and Audrina started dating to about six months before they ended that he was pushing away and of the fleeting thoughts that maybe, maybe he was ready for the big jump. He let his mind tell his heart otherwise, and here he was, yet another two years later and single as can be. Two years and she still haunted him. The longer she was around, the more desperate he was to just see her. He made any little excuse he could think of to see her, to be close enough to her to smell the faint, lingering scent of watermelon that always hung around her from her spray, her bath wash. If he closed his eyes then, he could concentrate and smell it on her from where he sat.

He was a sick, sick man.



"How is she?"

He jumped, seeing a frantic Brian charge through the waiting room, his wife following behind quickly. "We were on a layover in Dallas and then Aundrea called me -"

"The doctor said she's going to be fine," JC said, looking over at Aundrea who had joined him, standing at his side. "She overworked herself for the most part. They're upping the dosage of her medication and she should be able to go home the day after tomorrow. They want to keep her for observation and run some more tests to make sure that the disease hadn't worsened."

"Have you been in to see her? Is she all right? Not scared?"

"I just left the room," Aundrea stated, she shoving her hands into her pockets, "Aubrey's in there now. They didn't want many people in there to excite her much. They want her heart to take it easy."

"I'm going to go back and see if I can go in," Brian said quickly, releasing his wife's hand and looking at the two people standing opposite of him. "What room?"

"First door on the left. You won't miss it. She didn't want the lights on and the nurses caused a fuss about it. Probably still bitching in front of the door."

Brian chuckled in spite of his worry. "Okay."

He knocked gently on the door, both Aubrey and Audrina looking up with weak smiles on their faces. Aubry was glassy-eyed, though hadn't seemed to of been crying moments before he even appeared. "Can I come in?"

"I was going to leave anyway," Aubrey smiled, leaning down and hugging her friend, kissing her cheek, "Diddy wants Aundrea and I to go meet this choreographer downtown." She looked down at her friend, squeezing her hand and smiling, "I'll call you tonight, okay? Get some rest."

"I will. Bye, Bree."

"Bye babe. I love you."

"I love you, too."

Brian made his way into the room, sitting down on the side of her bed facing her. "How you feeling?"

"Okay," she said softly, "still tired, but okay."

"Drea told me you didn't take your medicine yesterday ..."

"Brian, please don't start ..."

"I'm not starting anything," he said softly, "I just think you should have taken them and not worry about the alcohol."

"I wanted to have fun, Brian. My album dropped. I wanted to celebrate."

"You could have had fun without the alcohol."

"Right, and you, Mr. Doublefister, are really the rolemodel."

He sighed deeply, keeping his calm tone, "I'm not trying to argue with you, Audrina. I just think that you need to be more careful."

"They upped my dose, Brian. I can't have alcohol, no wine, nothing. I hear you."

"Do you think I really want to be sitting here talking about you not being able to drink alcohol, Audrina?"

She looked down at her hands, fingers playing with the threads of the blankets. "No, probably not. How 'bout those Wildcats?"

He rolled his eyes, leaning into her and hugging her tightly. "I was so scared, Rina. Aundrea calls and says you're in the hospital and all I can think of is, 'how am I going to tell mom and dad she died? How am I going to get through this?' I was thinking the worst, and I know I shouldn't have, but I did ..."

"I thought about that, too. Sitting in the ambulance with JC -"

"He rode with you?"

She nodded. "He was pulling in when the paramedics were loading me in. Aundrea was going to, but she had to call you and Aubrey so she elected not to with all the machines."

"And how was that?"

She shrugged. "It was fine, Brian. Right now, all I want to focus on is getting out of this hospital. Like, right now."

He laughed, sliding off of the bed and sitting down on the chair, shaking his head the entire time. "Not gonna happen. JC said they plan on keeping you two days. They want to run tests -"

"What? No." She pushed herself up, cringing when she bent her wrist into the IV. "I don't want to stay here, Brian. I'm fine. I'm breathing fine, my levels are up - see? Look, I'm fine, I'm -"

"In the hospital because you stopped breathing right," Brian interrupted, his face suddenly serious again. "Stop for just one moment and realize that, Drina. You could have died if Aundrea wasn't there to call the medics."

She sighed. "I know. I just don't like thinking that today could be my last." When he opened his mouth to speak, she stopped him. "I know that it happens to everyone, but I want to live to see my album sales, to tour. I want to have a family. I want to be able to find a man who will look past me being sick and want to be with me regardless and because of it. I want to be able to see my nephew grow up."

"You will." Brian gave her a small smile, eyes studying his sister's sad face. "I'll make sure of it. If I have to give you my heart, then I will."

"Brian, what good would your heart do?"

He grinned, shaking his head at her. "True. But hey, I offered."

"And Leighanne would kill you."

"Well, then after she kills me, you can have my heart."

She rolled her eyes, eyes wandering towards the door and sitting up more when she saw JC standing in the doorway. "Hey."

"Hey," he greeted. "I'm going to walk Aubrey out. Aundrea want to say goodbye."

"Where is she?"

Aundrea poked her head around JC, playfully pushing him out of her way as she made her way into the room. "Don't scare me like that again, okay? I swear my entire stomach went to my feet and it hasn't risen back up yet."

"I'm sorry," Audrina frowned, reaching up to hug her friend. "Thank you for being there and being a pain in my ass and begging to come home with me this morning."

"You're welcome," she smiled, looking down at her feet. "Drina?"

She raised an eyebrow, seeing her suddenly quiet friend. "Yeah?"

"Let me come on tour with you."

She chucked. "Come again?"

"Let me come on tour with you. It's only going to be you and JC -"

"Hey, it's not like I'm bad company!"

Aundrea grinned. "And I'm sure you'd like company. And, it'd give me something to do on break from DK."

"If you want to come, sure."

"Good, 'cause I'd probably come regardless of what you said."

"Wonderful," Audrina smiled. "I'll call you when I get out of this hellhole."

"Don't bother, I'll be back tonight to check on you." Aundrea smiled, hugging her friend tightly and doing the same as Aubrey and kissing her cheek. "I'll bring your iPod for you so you don't go crazy not hearing anything."

She smiled. "Thanks, Drea."

"Anytime love. See you in the evening."

Just as she went to lean back into her pillow, Leighanne and JC both appeared in the doorway, Leighanne stepping in first and going to stand by her husband, who in turn got up for her to sit down. "How are you feeling?"

She shrugged. Same question over and over. "All right. Just tired. You guys can go. I'll be fine, really. You know I will be. If anything changes, I'll call you. Or JC will."

"We really don't have to -"

"Go, Brian. Georgia is calling your name. And I'm sure your son is, too. There's nothing you can do anyway, except sit here and bother me."

"Then I pass the torch to you, friend," Brian smiled, stretching and getting up. "You call me if something changes. Even the tiniest thing."

"If she doesn't, then I will." JC shook hands with Brian and received a hug from Leighanne as they all said their goodbyes, a threatening look to Audrina if she didn't call. "Have a safe flight."

"We will," Leighanne smiled. "Rest up, Rina, all right?"

"I will," she said, leaning back into the bed and watching them head towards the door. "I love you guys. Sorry to worry you like that."

"You're my sister, I am always worrying." He gave her a smile, walking back to her and hugging her tightly. "I love you."

"I love you too, Brian." She sighed deeply, closing her eyes as they left. "Jace, you don't have to stay. You can go home."

"Not happening," he grinned. "I canceled my plans to stay here, and here is where I'm going to stay."

"Oh, joy."

"You're lucky I sensed sarcasm in that voice, Miss Littrell," he teased, she prying an eye open to glare at him as he laughed. "Get some rest. I'm just gonna sit here."

"And stare at me creepily?"

"It's what I do best."

"I should have rethought my sending Brian home."

"Go to sleep, Rina."

"Yes, sir."

 

 

Thirty nine hours. She had been in the hospital for thirty nine hours and it felt more like years. It was nearing midnight as she sat up in bed, the only light in the room coming from the corridor and the faint glow of JC's phone that was sitting on the stand next to her, it having just vibrated nearly off the table if it hadn't of been for her catching it. He was sleeping on the cot they had brought in for him at the end of her bed, his soft breathing heard with the occasional ramble in the midst of a dream. The last she had heard was something about a microphone cord being wrapped around Chris' neck and staying there.

She chuckled, reaching for her iPod and putting it in her ears. Eight more hours and she'd be able to go home. Eight more hours and she could cocoon herself into her own bed. Only to have to get up the next day to prepare for tour.

"Argh," she said aloud, hand to mouth quickly as she realized it hadn't been to herself. She didn't know what she was in the mood to listen to, but as she looked in the artists she had, she knew exactly who to listen to.

Leaning back into her pillow, she smiled. She had to give JC credit: he hadn't left the hospital since she had been there, the only time to go and get her Chinese since she no longer wanted to eat the food they were giving her. "Hospital trash," she mumbled to him, he laughing and taking his wallet with him, arriving back in her room with a brown bag filled with Chinese.

He was still so good to her and she didn't understand why.

Brought out the best and worst in me
You gave your all unselfishly
But the days go by and ...

She listened to the words, they almost like a movie playing in her mind. Everything seemed so real and she swore she could even hear everything being said. She could feel his hand holding hers, his mouth against hers, how his skin felt when she'd lean up against him after a shower, just so she could smell him and feel how soft his skin actually was.

Oh, I could never replace
All the tenderest moments
They will always live right here inside me

Biting her lip, she clenched her eyes shut, willing the thoughts away. But they fought. They came at her faster, more sensing. How she never loved hearing her name being said until he whispered it in her ear after telling her he loved her. How the first kiss felt, and the second, and the thousands after that. How, in the middle of making love, he kept eye contact with her, making the experience more amazing.

My love will forever hold a place for you
That's why I'm so confused, yeah

Girl, we used to be so beautiful
But the days go by and things get better

How he was the first and last person she ever gave her all to. Physically, emotionally, sexually. They had a real connection, one that had her spinning from the moment he told her he wanted to be with her the first night after the tour started. How they had all been sitting at TAO in California and he asked her to dance with him. How his hands had slid down her arms and underneath them to rest at her waist, tugging her closer.

I'm losing half my soul
To face the world alone
But the days go by and things get better

How, of all the guys she had ever dated, he was the only one Brian liked. Of course, it may have been a different story if he knew they were sleeping together, but it really isn't part of the every day conversation you'd share with a sibling. When they broke up, Brian was just as devastated as she was. She cried for weeks.

We're not the type to just give up
But I know that it's what's best for us
The days go by and things get better

And now look at her. She was crying over him again.

We'll pass some crossing roads
Surviving on our own
But the days go by and ...

By the end of the song, she was putting her face into her pillow to keep her tears quiet. Why was it suddenly crashing down on her? The medication? Her exhaustion? Was it something in the back of her mind just making her think this way? The sudden thought of death making her see things she didn't want to see before?

She went to take a breath, a sob escaping instead. She heard movement, felt her bed shift. Damnit.

"Hey," his voice came softly, raspy from sleep. "Audrina, you okay?"

She clenched her eyes shut, not wanting to look at the reason she was crying. She still heard his voice singing, she ripping the earbuds out of her ears and hitting the pause button on the player. "I'm fine."

"Really now."

She sniffled, licking her lips and forcing herself to look at him. "Yeah, I was just listening to a song and the man's voice hurt so bad it brought me to tears."

He looked at her, eyebrow raised. "Really now?" He reached over, grabbing her iPod against her protests and put the earbuds in, hitting play. "Hey! This is me!"

"See," she sniffed, trying to make a joke out of it; anything to keep the subject in her head away from his own mind, "bad, hurting voice."

He pulled the earbuds out, setting the iPod on her lap. "You used to like my voice."

"Once upon a time, I suppose."

"Jokes aside, do you care to tell me what you're crying about?"

She was silent, her eyes never leaving his as he studying her face, searching for answers. "No. But maybe some day."

"I guess I can take that as an answer," he stated, patting her hip. "You want some company?"

"On this bed so not built for two?"

"Yeah. Our skinny asses make one person, right?"

"No, your skinny ass makes for half a person. Mine, little more than that."

"Oh, move over." He pushed her gently to one side so that he was lying on his side, looking at her. "See, we fit?"

"Make one sexual advancement and I'm moving your ass to the floor with a hard shove."

He chuckled, closing his eyes and yawning, "you used to like my sexual advancements."

"More like sexual special ed."

"Ouch," he mumbled, hissing as if he were hurt, "burn."

"Big time. Third degree."

He chuckled, growing quiet as she reached between them, taking the MP3 player and putting it back onto the nightstand. She had just closed her eyes when he spoke again. "Was it really that bad?"

She opened her eyes, they wider than saucers. "Huh?"

"Was it really that bad?"

"What?"

"You know," he said softly, opening his eyes and meeting hers, "love." He licked his lips, and she could have sworn she say a hint of redness climb up his cheeks with the light she had. "And the sex?"

She turned on her side, holding her head up with her elbow so she could look down at him. "Was it bad being loved by you? No. God, no. I always felt safe, always felt needed, wanted. You never hesitated to tell me you loved me and it was the most amazing feeling in the world. That answer goes for both questions."

"I'm sorry I couldn't be the man you wanted to marry."

She felt the familiar pang in her heart, trying to force a smile onto the subject. "I'm sorry I couldn't not want to be married."

He chuckled, tugging on her elbow so that she lie on her arm as he leaned over, kissing her forehead. "It was hard to not love you, Audrina. I think, in some way, I still do. But, I know you and I could never be together. I love you so much more as the friend you have been and what you have brought me from that to even think of what happened between us before."

And now she was the one being burnt.

And he was lying. Again.

She inhaled, holding her breath for a moment before talking. "What about with me? Was it bad with me?"

He gave her a sweet smile, shaking his head. "No. It's all part of the 'things I am so grateful to have had' file in my mind. Big memories involve you, Audrina. Big ones. One that I never want to forget. Funny thing is, after the break-up, we're still making memories."

She smiled, nodding. "Yeah, we are."

"I just wish I could have been the man who wanted to marry you," he said softly. "If I believed in marriage, if I wanted it, it definitely would have been with you."

"And if I didn't want marriage and just wanted to live with someone, it would have been you."

"That kind of sounded like a rip on me again," he grinned, she chuckling and closing her eyes. "Are you sure you're okay?" He swiped at the lone tear that fell down her face as she nodded, eyes fluttering open at his touch. "You want me to go back to my bed?"

When she shook her head, he smiled. Maybe there was hope for them yet.

Chapter 5 by Bobbilynn
The idea of sleeping in her own bed was almost too much for her to handle without overly exciting herself. She took the stairs two at a time, the smile widening as she pushed open her bedroom door, taking in the openness of her room and inhaled the unsterilized air.

As bad as it sounded, it was so good.

She plopped onto her bed, staring up at the ceiling as Aundrea laughed from the doorway. "You would never imagine you'd miss a square piece of heaven until you're given a poor excuse for one."

"Being on the road will make you miss those, too."

"Yeah," she said softly, looking over at Aundrea as she crawled into bed with her, the two girls lying there in the quiet and just taking in that their usual bonding moments had not ended when it could have.

She got up so that she was lying on the bed fully, Aundrea getting up and sitting against the headboard as the television turned on, familiar voices heard as both girls looked at each other. "Diary," Aundrea stated as Audrina nodded, she curling up into her comfortor as she watched it, quiet.

"I have always believed that everything happens for a reason. That I was put on this earth with one intent that God set for me. I don't know what it is yet, but I know he wouldn't give me things I couldn't handle. My heart disease, my decision to leave the music industry for awhile ..."

"Got room for another?"

"C'mon over, dude," Aundrea smiled as she scooted towards her friend, lying down as JC crawled in next to her, he holding his head up with his arm. "Drina, you smell like hospital," she said, laughing as she lay her head on her friend's hip. "Remind me not to spend three days in the hospital."

"Har, har, Drea," she said softly, barely involved in the conversation, her eyes glued to the television. Bad subject. It would be a little too obvious if she tried to change the channel now.

"Everyone was put in my life for a reason. Aundrea, Aubrey ... they are my comedic relief, they always know how to keep me smiling." The shot of Audrina sitting in front of black screen disappeared, it focusing on the three girls in the studio, singing a very loud, very pitchy version of 'Showstopper', all three of them getting dramatic as they took random lines, serenading each other. Moments later, there was another video playing, Aubrey carrying Audrina on her back as they both held their heels in their hands, laughing hysterically as Aubrey and Aundrea sang 'Happy Birthday' to their friend, she dangling off of Aubrey's back then, smile wide and brighter than any light could be.

"My brother is my best friend. My other half. I don't know who I'd be if he weren't in my life. I could always go for him for everything. When I first started and got to tour with he and his group, it was the most amazing time in my life. I got to do something I had yet to do with him: share a professional stage with him. The funny thing about the entire idea was that if no one knew who we were, they could just tell we were siblings by how well our voices match. Of course, my voice is obviously soprano and a girl, but when we sang together, our voices blended and you could barely tell where he started and I ended. A video started, it more recent of the two of them sitting in his living room, guitar in his lap, she keeping the beat as she hit her hands against her thighs, singing acoustically as he watched her, a smile on his face the entire time.

It was right before he coaxed her into going back into the music industry, at a birthday party for their mom as they sang together for her at her request. They sang a few of his group's songs, a few of her own, a few of their mother's favorites. It gave chills to many people's skin to hear the harmony between the two.

Ooh, lah dut dah, la dut dah
Ooh, lah dut dah, la dut dah
Ooh, lah dut dah, la dut dah
Ooh, lah dut dah, la dut dah
Ooh, lah dut dah, la dut dah
Ooh, lah dut dah, la dut dah
Oh, oh, yeah, yeah

She screen focused on her then, Brian's voice fading as she continued on with the song.

To be happy
You are all I need to make me happy
'Cause everytime you're near
All the tears inside the raindrops
All the sadness in my lifetime goes away

Brian took over into the second half of the verse, she continuing with the adlibs from the beginning below his voice, the siblings catching each other's face and grinning. She started cracking up as he continued, stopping stumming. "Nice face, Drine. I'm trying to be such a serious artist right now!"

"About as serious as your guitar skills, buddy -"

The video went back to Audrina, who had a bittersweet smile, the known subject suddenly in the air. "All the publicity I had, negative, positive, the inbetween, nothing seemed to matter because I had the support of one of the most important people in my life. JC and I had been together for four years when I got sick and lasted two more years after that. Sometimes people come into your life for a reason, and I know that his reason for coming into my life was to help me get through the hardest time in my life and be the one who held my hand and never let go, even when I felt like giving up. But suddenly, things seemed to take a turn and we both seemed to be suffocating each other. We split mutually and I was so happy when he said he wanted a hand at working with me on this album. He is one of the most, caring, talented men in the entire world and to have his name credited in something I did, it's amazing."

Suddenly, as she spoke, the familiar introduction of the song the two of them wrote together began to play over her voice, going to the two of them in his studio, he sitting at the sound board while she stood behind the glass wall, listening to him instruct her. She was nodding, listening intently, their eyes locked. And suddenly, the music faded, the only thing heard were the heartfelt, emotional voices behind the song, JC's voice taking the lower register as Audrina took the higher.

And I don't want you to be over this now
I can't stand the pain anymore
You were the best of the love
What was I thinking of?
I don't know

"Right. Sing it like that. Do the sound slide for the end of the 'thinking of' line. Put more of that power into it. Remember, it's a driven song -"

She nodded. "You're still following suite?"

"Yeah, we'll try and match notes with that. See how it sounds?"

"Okay. Take it back to the second verse, all right?"

"Got it." He gave her a sweet smile, moving controls. "Set it four beats before the beginning of the verse."

She nodded, putting the headphones on her ears as she closed her eyes, waiting for her cue to the music. Her hand played with her chin, oblivious to the moment MTV had caught as they took a shot of the back of her head, going over her shoulder and towards the windowed wall, the piercing blue eyes looking back at her giving every emotion he had ever given her before, but there was more to that look than anyone but he understood.

You and I
Can't understand reasons why
And you, yes, you
When did your heart find a new?
Guess I could have changed
Or should I have stayed the same

"Wait."

She cut, looking at him as he got up, walking into the room and standing in front of her. "Change the chorus after this. It's the climax of the song. Belt it. Sing it like you haven't sung it before."

"You have to sing it with me then."

He nodded, snapping his fingers and giving her a silent count as everything seemed to stop around them as they connected with their eyes, their voices, their emotion. It was another pivotal moment that MTV had caught on camera, one that would be talked about for a long time.

And I don't want you to be over this now
I can't stand the pain anymore
You were the best of love
What was I thinking of?

"He was my knight in shining armor for the longest time. There has never been a time that he wasn't there when I needed him, even when I didn't say it, he knew. He brings me comfort and stability, even now."

She licked her bottom lip slowly, turning her head and meeting his gaze, stomach knotting up as he looked at her the way the camera had caught him do so before. She closed her eyes, inhaling slowly to calm whatever thoughts she knew would run in her mind shortly, opening her eyes when Aundrea broke the silence.

"That song is beautiful."

She nodded, silent as Aundrea caught her gaze this time, a quizzical expression her face. "You okay?"

Suddenly, she was becoming emotional. "I'm okay. I just have to go to the bathroom." She pulled herself out from the covers, Aundrea lifting her head and looking at her in wonder. She couldn't get out of there quick enough as she scrambled past the master bathroom and out the door down the hall and down the stairs towards the bathroom near the living room, she closing and locking the door as she collapsed against the hard oak, a sob filled with exhaustion, irritation and sadness leaving her chest and mouth quickly, the tears soon following.

She buried her face into her hands, propping her elbows on her hands and gripping her toes to the cool tile so that her legs wouldn't slip. Clenching her hair and covering her face with her forearms, she cried with no reserve, unaware of the body standing merely feet away from the door, frozen in his spot.

 

"And five, six, and seven, eight -"

She did a small poplock, mouthing the words to the song choreographed for this particular dance, looking over at Shane as he smiled behind her through the mirror. "I don't like that look you're giving me, Shaners."

He grinned, still clapping out the beat as she danced, sweat dripping down her forehead and being caught with the headband she had lowered from her head to mid-forehead, "it's just good to see you back into the swing of things is all. It's like you haven't left, but we're all so happy to have you back."

She smiled, giving him a little pouted smile as she did a turn and dropped to a slide on one leg, kicking it up, and rolling her upper body in position. "It's good to be back."

"Have you seen the stage yet? I know Johnny was talking to you about it, but have you seen the set-up? It's amazing."

"Really?"

"Yeah," he smiled, grinning widely as she finished the dance, literally collapsing on her back end up against the wall and looking at him as she sipped her water. "The catwalk, the lights ... it's all going to be so amazing to see live."

"I can't wait," she grinned. "It's been such a long time coming."

"How are you feeling?"

"Amazing," she smiled, accepting his hand to help her up as she grinned, tossing the water bottle to the floor by her things. "The medication is working, my chest hasn't fluttered ... my heartrate is perfectly normal."

"Good. Don't want to have to kick your ass for not taking care of yourself."

She laughed. "Oh, not you, too. JC and Aundrea are both threatening bodily harm." She turning when she heard voices coming from down the hall, the door to the studio opening as Johnny Wright and Brian stood in the doorway, broad smiles on their faces. "Hey! What are you doing here?!" She walked quickly over to her brother, hugging him tightly as he hugged her so tightly that he had lifted her off the ground, her toes scraping the floor. "What's that for?"

"What? I can't hug the number one artist on Billboard's charts?"

She released her brother, eyes wide. "What?!"

"Number one selling album, Drina," Johnny smiled from his spot beside Brian, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Congratulations."

"Oh my God!" She lunged at Johnny, he hugging her tightly as she started to cry, laughing in spite of her tears. "That's so amazing!" She jumped at her brother again, jumping up and down in his hug as he laughed, barely able to hold her with how much she was moving. "I'm number one! I have to call Aundrea!" She ran off as the three men looked on, shaking their heads in disbelief.

"She's a firecracker," Shane laughed. "Johnny, you have to see how good she's been doing -"

"Oh, I believe it. She's trying to prove she's okay," he said, smiling, "she's a brave one, just like this one right here. Pushed through everything just to make everything look good."

"We're Littrell's, it's what we do," Brian smiled, crossing his arms and watching as his baby sister squealed and jumped up and down, sharing her excitement with one of her best friends. "She's gonna fight the entire time, too. Fight everything."

"Even the truth?"

Brian looked over at Shane, confused. "What do you mean?"

Shane said nothing except turn his head towards the other side of the studio where the exit door was, JC having just walked in with a coffee in one hand and his duffel bag hanging from the opposite shoulder, being attacked with a screaming Audrina. The bag had been dropped, drink secure in one hand as he hugged her, smile wide as he congratulated the screaming woman.


"That." Shane shook his head, running a hand over his face as he laughed. "For her being as observant as she is, she really misses everything, huh?"

"Preaching to the already knowing choir, man," Brian laughed, Johnny nudging him as they both looked back over, the two still in a hug. "Good God," he chuckled. "I'd tell them to just kiss and get it over with but she may kill me and my wife just got this shirt clean from when Baylee and I played in the mud." He grinned, waving them off. "I'm going back to the studio with the guys. Johnny, I'll catch you in a bit."

"Where'd Brian go?"

"Back into the studio," Johnny replied, throwing his thumb back to gesture in the direction he had gone, "the guys were laying down their vocals and he just wanted to come in and be the one to break the news to you. Felt it wouldn't be worth hearing it from anyone else."

"Good," she grinned. "That's how I would have wanted it." She looked back over at JC as he spoke to Shane, smiling to herself. "So how were the sales?"

"Almost Gold certified already," he said, she squealing. "Audrina, I don't know how you do it, but whatever it is, don't stop. You'll be platinum by next week if sales continue."

"I hope so."

"That isn't even for overseas yet," he chuckled. "It releases in three days over there. It's already a frenzy there. You're in very high demand in Germany and Japan."

"The world tour, who is going to be opening?"

"Split tour," he said, gesutring back to JC. "He's coming and we may have Danity Kane, too."

"They agreed?"

"Dawn isn't very happy about it," Johnny sighed. "Dawn isn't very happy about much these days with the group. She's mad that you and Aubrey wrote their first single and no one else got their name on it."

"Johnny, I didn't put a gun to their head," she said softly, shaking her head in disbelief, "I'm not going to be the reason for a beef between the girls and Diddy."

"It's a beef between Dawn and the girls, not you. She has nothing against you. She loves the song, she just doesn't think it should be their first single."

"It's on my album, too ..."

"With Aubrey and Aundrea on it. No one else."

"Because Aubrey and I wrote it! Aundrea had the little hook ..."

"Don't worry about it, Drine," he laughed, "it'll blow over. Dawn doesn't stay angry long. Her song will be heard."

"Her song? She had a song for the first single?"

"Ah, yeah," he bit his lip, "about that. Your song bumped hers."

"What?! Why?!"

"What's going on?" JC stepped up next to her, eyeing the two with interest. "Why does she look like her eyes are gonna bug out of her head and why do you look like you just told her that her best friend died?"

"My song bumped Dawn's for Danity Kane's first single," she said, looking at JC as he grinned happily. "It's not good! Dawn is pissed!"

"They just felt having a bigger name printed on that song would give it better airplay for the girls," he said softly, "the fact that it's on your album and their's, but is getting released on their's, is getting them more attention."

"Argh, I don't want to talk about this anymore," she mumbled, holding her hands up in defeat, "I'm getting a headache."

"Audrina, it's nothing you could have done," JC stated, sighing as she walked away. "Drine!"

"I'm going to my car," she mumbled, waving him off. "I'll be back."

"Audrina," Johnny called, she ignoring him as he turned to look at JC, he shrugging. "It was nothing she could have done to stop it. Both versions of this song were damn good. We've got all the singles lined up for Audrina's album, 'Damaged' was nowhere from the lists of songs that were set out for her. They've been struggling to find a good, strong first single for DK and then they hear Aundrea belting out the verse and they wanted it. Diddy wanted his fingers on it."

"Don't you think Diddy should have came to the other writer of the song first?"

"Probably."

"I'm gonna go talk to her."

"It's nothing she should be mad about."

JC looked at Johnny. "She hates when people put spite in with her name. That song was part of hers. That song knocked another single-worthy song out of the running because of her name. She doesn't want to be used for her name, Johnny."

"She's being used for her talent, JC. You know, just like Justin was for your song?"

He took a deep breath, shaking his head. "Justin is one of my closest friends, Johnny; I will never, ever put him down. But don't ever put him in the same category as me. We are nothing alike. Nothing." He turned on his heel, still fuming. "We may have come from the same group, but we are two very different people with two very different vocal styles. I would never sell him out." He pushed on the door, it slamming away from him and against the wall, falling shut quickly as he breezed out, spotting her sitting in her car. "Drine -"

"If I knew that this song would get those girls in hot water with each other, I wouldn't have given them it to use," she said, shaking her head while biting on her finger absentmindely, "I would have told Aundrea to use it for herself. Told Aubrey to use it for herself."

"Drina, if it bothered the two of them that Dawn was mad about it, don't you think you would have heard about it?"

"I don't know."

"They're friends too, you know," he said softly, kneeling down between the door and the car, "Aundrea and Aubrey wouldn't just do something to spite Dawn. But that's how the music industry is, Drina, you know that. They see the big fish, they take the bait. It's all about money, money, money."

"It never used to be like that."

"Not until they got the multi-million-dollar investors involved," he sighed. "Why do you think JIVE dropped me? Because I refused to succomb to what they wanted to make me. They wanted to make me another Justin Timberlake. I'm not Justin. I can't sell what he sells. The only thing I have to sell is my voice. That's the only thing I've ever wanted to put out there for them. It will always be like that."

"You sold your body quite a few times," she chuckled as he arched an eyebrow. "Oh, you know what I'm talking about." She cleared her throat, dropping her voice a few registers, "Cause when I'm all alone, I imagine lying face to face. Inhaling every breath you take ..."

"One song."

"Keep in mind, I'm a love machine -"

"I get it," he laughed. "My voice was still selling it, not my body."

"Right, so this," she got up, tossing her purse onto her passenger side and shutting the door, shaking her body to loosen it up as she cleared her throat, mimicking the first song she had sang, copying how he used to dance to the second verse, her finger walking down her body and gyrating her hips. "Walking with my fingers and I'm creeping down real slow, reaching for the places that no one could ever go ..."

"Ah, yeah," he reached up, grabbing her forearm to stop her from moving, "apparently, a woman can make that song so much hotter."

She laughed, shrugging innocently, "well, if you wouldn't write about masterbation, I'm sure you'd have a woman to act that song out with." She grabbed her keys, turning to walk away when his voice stopped her.

"I did have that woman, remember?"

She felt like she was going to implode. Stomach twisted, heart beating rapidly in her throat, the flutters nearly driving her mad in the pit of her belly. "Must of sucked if she's not that woman anymore," she said, trying to get him off the subject quickly. Thinking about it even made her question why she wanted to marry so badly. "She must of not known what she was doing."

"Apparently she did, because that entire song was about her."

She cleared her throat, turning to look at him as the devilish smile continued to play on his lips. "I don't see her around anymore ..."

"I see her right now," he said softly, her stomach continuing to flutter as the sexy little smile turned into more of an ego-driven smirk. Come to think of it, there were a few songs that she drove me to write."

"She must be some hell of a girl," she chuckled. He really was a losing battle.  "But with you having no way of getting her back ..." 

"Oh, I could think of 100 ways."

She blushed, watching the fabric of his shirt stretch tightly across this chest, arms flexing and pressing against the sides. "I need a drink."

"How about some Gatorade? Heard it's good after a long day of sweating."

"I hate you."

He chuckled. "And those stilettos? Too bad you weren't really 5'9" because that was the only number that rhymed."

"Yeah, with Levi's," she cracked, shaking her head and beginning to walk away, he laughing at her disappearing form. "Levi's. Nine. He's such a goober."

"Hey! You had no problem with acting that song out repeatedly after it was done!"

She froze, hearing his footsteps come up from behind her. "Listen to 'ya," he said softly, mouth by her ear as she shuddered, he had suddenly taken on a raspy tone that was boiling deep in her belly, she clenching her hand around her keys to control her emotions, "I'm tired of talkin' 'bout it." His hand found her free one, it clenched at her waist, his fingers grazing the bare skin just enough to draw goosebumps on the explosed flesh. She felt him move against her, felt the heat of his mouth closer, her eyes dropping closed. "I wanna slide up right upon 'ya, let's get our hands dirty ..."

"Audrina, you out here?"

She pushed away from him quickly, the burning in her belly still evident as she tried to shake the warmth against her ear, her skin, her hands away. "AJ?"

The shorter, tattooed man appeared with a wide grin on his face, sunglasses hiding his eyes from the warm April sun. "Congratulations, number one!" He wrapped his arms around her shoulders, her own arms snaking around the center of his back and clasping as he did a slight dance with her. "Number one again. How does it feel after four years?"

"Amazing," she said softly, thoughts fluttering away of what had just happened. "Simply amazing."

"There's no one else that deserves it as much as you do," he grinned, placing a kiss to her temple. "Come on, we're all celebrating in the studio."

"But how -"

"Nick went and got cake," he laughed. "Well, actually, he went and raided Johnny's fridge. Apparently, the cake was going to be yours anyway. He knew yesterday you were going to be in the top spot, but didn't know the numbers yet."

She breathed out a sigh, still in disbelief. "Cake. Cake sounds good."

"Cake with the most amazing people in the world, might I add," he grinned, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "Jace, you coming man?"

"Yeah, I'll be in there in a sec," he replied, voice still low as he walked past them, "I'm going to go back to the compound and grab the rest of my things." He turned, catching Audrina's gaze, the butterflies releasing again. "Don't celebrate too much without me."

AJ chuckled as he steered Audrina in the opposite direction of JC, shaking his head, "we won't man. Just hurry up because we might not be able to hold out for too long!"

"Let the celebration begin!" AJ slammed the door open, cheers echoing throughout the room as she grinned, being pummeled by Nick as he enveloped her into one of his large bear hugs, she laughing hysterically as he lifted her up, spinning. "Dude, she's gonna throw up on you!"

"I'm all right," she laughed, Nick putting her down anyway as Howie came over, the gentle one of the four, hugging her tightly.

"Congratulations, Mami," he whispered, she hugging him tightly. "You did good. Real good."

"Thanks, Howie," she replied back, smiling as she placed a kiss to his cheek. "Thank you."

He winked, tugging on her hair that she had gone all Pippy Longstocking on, everyone gathering around Johnny as he popped the cork off of Crystal, she freezing when she heard a voice behind her once more and sliding past her towards the group, the words echoing in her head.

A million faces in the crowd; you will always shine 'em out. She never looked so beautiful from down here ...

End Notes:
Thank you all for the lovely reviews!  Keep 'em coming!  <3
Chapter 6 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
I had this posted last night, but took it down to add more to it =]  Enjoy!

The dish fell into the water without so much of the satisfying crack that Audrina had wanted. Soap suds floated through the air from the impact, one gently resting on her cheek, she swiping it with her sudsy hands and just adding more bubbles to her face. She smirked. Immediately, it fell from her face as she remembered just how cranky she had been, how much of a bad mood she wanted to be in.

"I don't understand why you aren't just washing them in the dishwasher," Brian said softly as he placed two glasses on the sink next to her, she feeling his eyes on her face as he tried to read it. "Come sit with us."

She was silent, hand going back into the warm water and bringing out yet another dish, staring at it blankly as she ran the wash cloth in circular motions over the white porecelain. It kept her busy, kept her hands busy. Though her mind didn't stay quite as set on the dishes as it did elsewhere, it kept her there and not standing over a cliff, looking death in the eye. Or worse, pounding on his door and demanding answers. Demanding answers for so many things. The biggest one hit her in the temple, a dull headache beginning with all the rapid thoughts.

Why.

Why just a friend? Why, suddenly, his ear sex partner? Why so hot and cold? Why didn't he want to marry her? Why was he making so many excuses? Why didn't he love her anymore?

She felt the tears well up, she reaching up with the sud covered hand and purposely swiping at her eye, hoping to make them irritate by the soap and not startle Brian with the sudden emotion. She knew if she spoke, she'd break and he'd demand to talk, demand to find out what was going on in her head. But she didn't want to talk. She didn't want to spill out her heart again.

... She didn't want to tour with him.

She frowned, her scrubbing becoming more harsh as she continued to clean the same dish, pretty sure she'd see her reflection soon.

Why couldn't she get over this? She had gotten over him! At least, up until that exact moment, she did. Why did it have to be him that was her first love, her first everything? Why did he have to be a musician? Write all those songs that she could hear any time she wanted and just remember how much she meant to him once. Was this his purpose? Bring the songs back, make her feel horrible? Make her resent breaking it off with him?

They would have been together eight years today.

"Rina -"

His voice startled her, the breaking point surfacing as she threw the dish in her hand across the room. "I don't want to come fucking sit with you guys! Just leave me the hell alone!"

He took a step back, startled at her sudden outburst, Aubrey and Aundrea both appearing in the archway as quick as lightning, studying the damage of the plate that was now in a hundred little pieces beneath brother and sister's feet. "Rina -"

"I don't want to talk about it," she mumbled, turning back to the sink and ignoring the wreckage behind her. "I don't want to sit down, I don't want to think, I just want to wash my dishes and be by myself."

"I'll clean up the plate, Brian," Aundrea said softly, her presence felt behind her. "Go entertain everyone, enjoy the movie."

She heard his sigh of defeat, hands pausing in the water as she listened to his retreating footsteps, dropping her head down in disappointment in herself.

"I'll go get the dust pan," Aundrea said quickly, Aubrey's sandaled feet crunching over the glass as she stepped next to her friend, leaning into her in a gentle nudge.

"I'll have you know that I dry plates amazingly. My mom never let anyone do it but me. Maybe it was because if I didn't do something I was dancing around like a freak and annoying people singing random show tunes, but if I weren't a singer, I could definitely be a professional dish dryer."

She smirked. "Good, useless information I will probably never need to remember."

"You want my professional help in this unwanted task?"

She was silent, focused on washing another dish and not throwing it to the floor in anger and defeat. She had come to the realization that JC Chasez had ruined her for life and hated that he made a pun out of that complete statement.

'Fuck you, JC', she thought to herself, sighing deeply and watching Aubrey reach beside her for the towel, her fingers then reaching for the yet again 'almost' see-through (if it could get that way) plate from her hands. This was what she needed. A silent support system from her two best friends, not the 'I'm going to talk to you and see what's wrong' kind of support Brian tended to give. That was Brian though; sometimes, she didn't think he knew how to be quiet.

Aundrea was heard behind her, sweeping up the shattered dish and humming to herself, a quirk that she had noticed she did when she was quiet and focusing on a task at hand. Turning her head, she caught her friend's attention, the broad smile from Aundrea receiving a smaller, less enthusiastic smile.


She swore the girl would be excited cleaning toilets.

She reached back into the sink, pulling the drain plug and let the water disappear quickly down it. The last dish was handed to Aubrey as she grabbed the two cups, sighing in defeat and putting them in the dishwasher. She liked doing things for herself, liked having the sense of independence. Right now, all she had a sense of was need, the need to be held and told everything was going to be all right. By the one person she didn't want to see.

"Today would have been our eight-year anniversary," she said softly, finally giving in to the silent questions of both friends, she hearing the broom be set against the wall as Aundrea stepped to her other side, reaching up and tucking hair that had fallen out of her ponytail behind her ear to get a better look at her friend. She dropped her head again, lip jut out in a pout as she lifted her hands and dropped them dejectedly by her sides. "All I wanted to do was be happy ..."

"Aww, sweetheart," Aubrey's voice came soothing like a mother's as she hugged her, Aundrea hugging her from behind as she put her face in her hands and let the tears fall. "It's gonna be all right, you know. I know that you hear it like a broken record, but it will. Like you said, everything happens for a reason, right? People come and go in your life and change it for a reason. Maybe he's the reason you are the person you are today. Maybe he shaped you, made you realize what love is so when the time finally comes that the man you're supposed to marry goes, 'how did I get so lucky to get her? Of all the men in her life, I can't believe she chose me."

"You make it sound like it should be some corny romantic comedy," she mumbled against her hands, head resting on her friend's shoulder as Aubrey and Aundrea laughed. "Like that one our ... our damn song is on."

"But what if he is it, Rina? What if he's the reason you aren't happy?"

She turned her head, looking quizzically at Aundrea, "I know he is -"

"No, I mean ... what if he," she stopped, trying to think of how to get it out, "what if he's your Chandler?"

"My what?"

Aundrea laughed slightly. "Your Chandler. The one guy who had always been there for you and always made you feel good about yourself because he expected so much out of you, knew that you were capable of doing amazing things. The one who sat back and let the world take you on this crazy ride and was there when you fell. He'd just pick you up and let you go on, just sat back and enjoyed the ride. The one that had been there all along and the one you've wanted for so long that you realize that's it: that he was the one. That he's the one you're supposed to be with for the rest of your life? What if you're his Monica? The only woman who could ever make him feel the way he does when he's around you? What if you're the one to finally change his mind? The one who makes him realize that he is madly in love with you more than he was before and he does want marriage. But only if it's with you. The one change in his life that he welcomes with open arms, an open heart and a broad smile. That smile you love so much ..."

"You need to write books on love. And Bree, you need to write a self-motivational one," she chuckled, wiping at her eyes lazily as she pulled away from her friends, smiling weakly. "Thank you."

"That's what we're here for, love," Aubrey smiled. "Come on, let's go watch the movie, 'kay?"

She shook her head. "I think I'm just going to go lie down for a while. All my irritation gave me a headache."

"You want one of us to bring you up some hot tea? Soup? Tylenol?" Aundrea put a hand to Rina's forehead, frowning. "You are a bit warm. And you leave in two days for tour."

"Tea would be nice," she said softly, she stepping away from her friends and headed towards her stairs, no one even noticing her departure from the lower level.

She closed the door gently, dimming the lights to ease the pain in her head as she crawled into bed, picking up her Blackberry and staring down at the screen, contemplating her next move. Without thinking, she brought up a new message, putting in the familiar digits and sending a message she figured she'd regret in the morning.

Happy would-be anniversary.

He wouldn't respond. It'd be too weird. She was fine with that. But when it sang the tone she had chosen for her messages, she nearly jumped out of her skin at the almost instant response.

You too ... is it bad that you've
been on my mind all day?
Maybe it is because of the day
but it just ... I couldn't help it.

She couldn't help but smile slightly. He had been thinking of her. He remembered their anniversary. Mr. I-Can't Even Remember What Day It Is, Let Alone Our Anniversary. But what did she say to that? She didn't want to feel desperate. She didn't want to sound as if she wanted him back, because, even she didn't know that. Maybe she did, maybe she missed his presence in her life as it had been before. Or maybe, maybe it was because of the anniversary, the album, the emotions surrounding it all. She wouldn't know. She couldn't.

No, it's not. I've been thinking
about you, too.

She sent it, not wanting to go back on what she said before he could really know the truth. Though she wasn't going to say that it was partially the reason why she had been in a bad mood, either. That, and seeing him the day before practicing once more with the live band, singing his heart out. It had made her made that she would never be that way. She could never have the power he had, never have the impact on a song like his voice, his power had. She saw the vein in the side of his neck pop, eyes clenched shut and mouth open, singing the one song that had been written back in 2000 while he was still with the group, one he had kept to himself and one that didn't deal anything with her.

It's amazing how we fear we may be
It's from ourselves we so often run
Abandon fear and consequence of heartbreak
Expose the truth and give yourself to love

We've all been set up to be disappointed
We have to crawl before we learn to fly
It's the blur that moves right into focus
Removes the doubt, aligns your heart and mine

She had that the song wasn't hers, but at that moment, when his eyes opened and he met her gaze from clear across the stage where she sat, holding her water bottle between her hands, it was. Every line, every meaning, every little thing between the lines was hers.

Good. Well, not good you've been
thinking of me ... well, maybe in a
way, but you know what I mean.
I'm so glad we still talk, Rina. I
don't think I'd be able to get
through a day without speaking
with you. I just hope that one day
I can find someone who can accept
that you will always have the biggest
part of my heart and they'll just have
to deal in knowing that you were the
best thing to ever happen to me and
nothing will ever happen between you
and I again.

Her heart sank. If that didn't answer what she felt for him, she would have pretty much been standing in front of a freight train waiting for it to hit her. This was her freight train. Her freight train, a crashing airplane on top, along with a meteor to top it off. She missed him. Maybe she wanted to be with him; maybe she'd hold off marriage to be with him, to try and make it work.

And then he said those words.

Yeah.

He didn't respond after that, she figuring he was already passed out in bed since it was nearing three. She opened the inbox folder, opening up the message and reading over and over again. '... Nothing will ever happen between you and I again.' He took the stake, set it in the center of her already hurt heart and took a mallet and drove it straight through, twisting and turning to make the damage even worse without even realizing he had done so.

It wasn't just Brian that ran risks of holes in his heart anymore. She had one now.

The tears came quickly, she taking her pillow and masking her sobs as she rocked back and forth, feeling like a child with the emotion pouring out of her. Arms were suddenly felt around her, pulling her pillow barrier away from her face. Blue eyes met her green, Brian's concerned face doing nothing more than to reel out more of the tears as he pulled her close, hugging her tightly. He did as she was doing prior, rocking gently back and forth as he soothed her, not saying a word, just stayed with her.

And somewhere, twenty minutes away from the area she was in, he was sitting in his living room, staring blankly at the phone in his hand, unaware of the events going on elsewhere. What had he just done? The one person he had never lied to, suddenly became the easiest target for his basket full of fibs. His finger played with the send button, the drafted text waiting to either be sent or saved.

I don't think I'll ever stop loving you.

He cried out in frustration, exiting out of the text and tossing the phone to the table, putting his head in his hands. Since when was love so difficult? Since when did it matter what she said, what she believed, hell, even what she wore? For a year after they broke up, it didn't. For six more months, it still didn't, but he thought of her on occasion, just wondering how she was. And then, they worked together and suddenly his heart ached.

He pined for her again. Pined for her like the silly twenty-five-year-old man he had been when he first started feeling for her, finally growing the balls to ask her out. He felt the familiar flutter in his stomach when he saw her as he drove to her old apartment in Hollywood Hills, she meeting him at the door so he wouldn't have to ring up. He remembered every scent she ever carried, the flavor of lipgloss permanently on his lips to the point where he swore he tasted it and her when he licked his own.

Out of the blue, she was suddenly the reason a smile would form on his face. She was the inspiration for song after song. Of course, every song got scrapped because it sounded like some lovesick dog, it being the main reason he hired writers to come in and collaborate with him, just so less than half of the song was inspired by her.

It really didn't occur to him that maybe he was still in love with her until the day he came to her house only to see the ambulance there. He was so freaked out that she had gotten seriously ill, or her disease had been taking the last bit out of her that thoughts ran through his head at a fast-paced setting; he regretted the things he said, he didn't believe in what he had said. He would have changed it all to know she was there beside him when she got sick, rather than her best friend.

He then began to piece together all the puzzle parts. he always had an excuse to want to see her, always mentioned her. He woke up from dreaming about her and went to be with her on his mind.

It was inevitable: he was still in love with her.

But as of that night, any chance of they getting back together was done. He had fucked up. Again.

 

He heard the vibrations of the music blaring through the speakers as he walked down the corridor towards the entrance of the rehearsal arena, a small smile forming on his face in excitement. The smile may have been bigger, but excitement was hard to come by the last few days for him.

Stepping into the main area of the arena, he paused as he watched her stand in the middle of the stage, two dancers on either side of her. She was running through the bridge of a song, laughing hysterically at something Johnny had said from his spot just below the stage. She had her favorite cotton shorts on, ones that she had even back when they were dating, though they seemed a little looser on her now than before, she having lost weight when she got sick in the first place and never really gaining it back. Her shirt was balled up in the center, stomach glistening with the beginning of sweat from her being there on stage for six hours under intense light and heat.

She never looked so beautiful from down here ...

He scoffed, shaking his head in disbelief. What had he been doing? He felt as if he were bipolar all over again: throwing mixed signals to her nearly every day, feeling one thing one moment and another the next. Wanting to hold her, kiss her and be with her for one time and then just wanting to ravage her the next and forget about it later. He was a fool back then, he was an even bigger one now.

She was singing now, dancing fluidly with the other dancers. She had a look of determination on her face as she made the song her own personal powerhouse, demanding attention from everyone in the room. From the light crew to the maintenance men working on the display, they were all watching her.

Her body pulsated with the hook of the chorus, one hand to her chest, the other resting on her waist as she stood to the side, facing the front of the stage. Her eyes had clouded over, he knowing just how much she got into the music at this point, smiling to himself. She had that same look when ...

"Hey."

He spun, catching Aundrea's smile. "Hey yourself. How are you?"

"Good," she smiled. "How's she doing?"

"Really good," he said softly, eyes slowly casting back to her dancing form on the stage, various hands running along her body as she seduced them, body still slightly pulsating as her hips swung then, his own eyes watching them, watching how they moved liquidly, the hand on her waist moving to her belly and sliding along it. "Really, really good."

She laughed. "I don't understand you."

"Yeah," he frowned, "neither do I."

Aundrea patted his back sympathetically, entering the arena and making her way down towards Johnny. He went to move, suddenly frozen in his spot when her gaze caught his. Suddenly, he was the only one there and she was performing for him. He licked his lips, she doing a body roll and whipping her head to the side, hair flying in front of her face, though the piercing green of her eyes breaking through the strands and burning into his.

You try to gain my trust
Talking is not enough
Actions speak louder than words

You gotta show me something
My heart is missing some pieces
I need this puzzle put together again

Damaged, damaged
I thought that I should let you know
That my heart is damaged, so damaged
And you can blame the one before

So how you gonna fix it, fix it, fix it?
How you gonna fix it, fix it, fix it?
How you gonna fix it, fix it, fix it?
How you gonna fix it, fix it, fix it?

He stepped further into the arena, eyes not leaving hers as she finally broke the gaze, going back into performance mode, hands skirting up her body invitingly, the two male dancers appearing in front of her and she pulsating her body for them, JC shaking his head. He sat down next to Johnny, eyes anywhere but on her.

My heart is damaged, damaged, damaged
My heart is damaged, damaged, damaged
My heart is damaged, damaged, damaged
My heart is damaged, damaged, damaged
My heart is damaged ...

He frowned. Way to rub it in.

The song ended, Johnny clapping. "That was great, Audrina. We need to work on the lights a bit, but your part was just fine. Since JC's here, we can do the end of your set."

The end of her set? What did it have to do with him?

"Jace, go ahead up for 'You & I'."

Oh.

He got up, eyes meeting Aundrea's as she smirked, he shaking his head at her as he put his hands to the stage, lifting his body up easily onto it. A stage hand gave him a microphone, he feeling his heart start to pound as the acoustic guitar introduction began, watching as she sat down on the edge of the stage, microphone resting in her lap as he pulled the mic to his mouth. Suddenly, his heart wasn't in his chest, it was pouring through his voice. Suddenly, all eyes weren't on her. They were on him - including Audrina's.

You and I
Let's lay down our paths tonight
And you, yes, you
Why won't you see this thing through?
What I wouldn't change
I think I've gone insane

His stomach twisted, hearing her begin to sing the chorus with him, she getting up to give her voice more power, she stepping close to him. He could have hated her before, but suddenly, he felt the same intense feelings as before. He didn't know how she did it, but she did. He wasn't quite sure how welcoming he was to the idea, but he knew he'd hate it if it went away.

And I don't want you to be over this now
I can't stand the pain anymore
You were the best of love
What was I thinking of?
I don't know

He definitely didn't know.

He let his hand drop to his side as he felt her lean into him, slowly dragging his gaze down to her tiny frame, free hand coming up and resting on the small of her back. It was clear that she felt only friendship for him; she leaned to him for comfort.

That was all he was to her.

It hurt. Hurt bad. Just standing next to her after that realization killed him. It was as if someone just shoved their hand into his chest and ripped his heart out.

You and I
Can't understand reasons why
And you, yes, you
When did your heart a new?
Guess I could of changed
Or should I of stayed the same?

And I don't want you to be over this now
I can't stand the pain anymore
You were the best of love
What was I thinking of?

I guess I should have changed
Or should I of stayed the same?

He made the decision mid-way through the ending of the song. He needed to completely move on. He needed to be away from her, though it was too late to leave the tour, he needed to stay away from her. She was poison. His kryptonite.

To make a mental point to himself, he stepped away, catching Aundrea's puzzled expression, he ginving a blank look in return. Tonight was their last night in California. Tonight, he was going out and getting drunk. Tonight, he was going to find someone. Tonight, he was going to forget all about her and put his mind on something, or someone else.

Tonight, he was going to find a hook-up. To prove to himself and everyone else that he was over her.

He was going to need a lot of alcohol.

Chapter 7 by Bobbilynn

She buckled herself in to the seat of the private jet that Johnny had chartered for she and JC to fly down to Florida in, eyes knitting in confusion as his normally smooth-moving body struggled to sit in the seat across from her, face ashen and eyes tired. The seatbelt was fumbled with for quite some time before he got aggravated and literally just tied the ends tightly together, slumping in his chair and covering his eyes with his hands and grumbling underneath his breath.

He was still in the clothes he had changed into after rehearsal late last night, the jeans pleated pleated from he sleeping in them, shirt wrinkled. Sunglasses rested on top of his head, though as quickly as she noted them, he had pulled them down and leaned his head back against the chair, she seeing his eyes closed from the open area between the glasses and his cheeks.

And his hair. She smirked at how it stood on end as if it were purposely supposed to. The smirk fell off of her face as he groaned to himself in irritation, lifting his head up and meeting her gaze. Since the day before, they hadn't spoken. After they rehearsed the last big of 'You & I', he suddenly was too busy to be bothered with her, with Aundrea's questions, Johnny's critiques. He suddenly became to busy to be himself.

He looked away when he saw her questioning gaze, she sighing deeply, loud enough for him to know it was about him and cast her gaze over to Aundrea, who was sitting in another chair with her laptop on the tray in front of her. "Hung over," she mouthed, Audrina suddenly aware of why he was wearing sunglasses and looked so disheveled when he usually made himself presentable to just go out and get a newspaper. He had himself trained for that the moment *NSYNC had to get bodyguards because paparazzi was following them everywhere. He had always been self-conscious about how skinny he was, the gap in his teeth, now he focused on what he could do and got them to talk about other things that he knew weren't true.

Like the recent rumors of why he hadn't had a girlfriend in the last year.

Because he had a boyfriend.

She cringed inwardly. She had nothing against choice, her best friend growing up was gay. But it hit home when it started with him. She never dated and fell in love with her best friend; she fell in love with JC.

The rumors had been brutal, instead of fighting the fire, JC had chosen not to address them, not to confirm, not to deny either side of allegations. Johnny had told her he wanted nothing at all to do with the story, since it wasn't him. Chase was a friend. Someone that shared many of the interests that he had that he hung out with. It was the same when their were photos of JC and Justin. Just photos. Photos that meant nothing and never would.

She wanted to say something to him, tell him that she was there if he needed her, but it wouldn't help. He wouldn't listen. He wasn't talking to her.

 

The plane landed sometime shortly after she had fallen asleep. At least, that's how it felt. JC was already up and carrying his bag towards the exit, Aundrea putting her laptop away. "Drea," Audrina said softly, she unbuckling her seatbelt and approaching her friend slowly, "something else is up with him. That's not just a hang over."

"We'll talk about it later," Aundrea said softly, giving her a look that she knew not to bring it up until the two of them were alone. "Let's get to the hotel and we'll talk."

"You know, don't you?"

"Oh, oblivious one, I know all," she said, giving her a weak smile. "You just gotta promise me you're not going to freak."

"Why would I -"

"Just promise me."

She closed her mouth, nodding. "Okay. All right, I promise."


"Good." Aundrea smiled as Dale and Tim, Audrina and JC's bodyguards respectfully, re-entered from helping JC with his bags. "And don't let people ask you questions. Johnny already ran it by me while the two of you were sleeping."

"I seriously miss everything when I'm unconscious."

Aundrea laughed. "You miss everything, anyway." She let Tim take her bag and laptop, linking her arm into Audrina's, they walking out with their bodyguards in tow. JC was little ways ahead, distant screams entering their ears as they saw fans about two hundred yards away behind a fence, Rina waving and causing the screams to get louder, she laughing hysterically as she ducked into the awaiting limo, Aundrea waving before she followed.

"He won't even talk to me," Audrina said, looking down at her fingers as the car began it's trip to the hotel about a half hour away. "Let alone look at me. It's like, he suddenly heard something so disgusting about me that it makes him sick just to look at me."

"I'm sure it has nothing to do with you, Rina." Aundrea replied, "he's a man. As complex as they think we are, they've got a lot more things that go on in their head than you think that we can't even figure out. He's not like a typical man, either; he's a musician. A musician with the intelligence of a genius. He may have typical problems, but with the not-so-typical life and his method of questioning everything, those problems are multiplied to infinity."

"You'd think, growing up with a brother, I'd understand them better."

"Especially since Brian is a musician."

"JC isn't like Brian," she said softly. "That's what I loved about him. He knew that if I needed space, he'd give it to me. He wasn't smothering and he wasn't clingy. He understood that even though the two of us rarely got time together, there were still times that we needed to be apart to keep our independence. Brian has always had a positive outlook on anything because of his faith, but JC's faith isn't quite so strong as his and I know he questions a lot of things and he sometimes loses direction."

"But you have faith, you can get him out of this."

"My faith is nothing," she said softly, shaking her head, "compared to Brian's, who can move mountains, mine can't even climb over a mole hill."

"What happened to the girl I once knew who had all the faith in the world," Aundrea asked, leaning her head up against the chair and tilting it sideways to study her friend, "the girl who relied everything on faith and reason?"

"Her faith left when he did," she said softly, "when I got sick, he was the only one holding it there for me. And when he walked out, it left with him. I'm still trying to find that reason."

Aundrea frowned as Audrina sighed deeply, she turning her head to look out the window. They rode in silence the rest of the way.



"Now, you girls holler if you need anything," Dale set the remains of their bags down into the foyer of the large suite, Audrina refusing a room by herself in unfamiliar territory (the last time she toured, someone was always with her; she wanted it the same way now) so Aundrea was staying with her. "We'll be in the hall."

Audrina nodded, waving off her bodyguard as she sat down on her bed, pulling her hair into a ponytail. "Okay, spill it."

Aundrea turned, confused. "Spill what?"

"What's going on with JC?"

"There's not really a way to say it, so I'll show you," Aundrea said softly, she walking over to her laptop bag and pulling it out, waiting for it to come out of sleepmode as she plugged it in to charge, sitting on the bed and going back to the gossip site she had been on before. "Come sit down."

Rina sat down slowly, eyes settling on an article with a large photo of she and JC together, a jagged line between the two of them and another of JC and Chase at the Playboy Mansion months ago. "Oh, God," she said softly. "What is this?"

"It's ... best if you read it." Aundrea turned the screen, sliding off of the bed to tend to her bags to let her read in private.

 

Behind the secret life of JC Chasez
The scandals, the lies, the heartbreak, the other person in his life!

Back in 2000 when JC Chasez went public with his very serious relationship with Audrina Littrell, the music industry buzzed about the new starlet's sudden climb to fame and sudden arm candy. For the most part, the musical sweethearts were boring, taking movie and dinner dates and keeping under the radar, not once ever having a known public blowout. She was the good girl from Kentucky, he was the sweetheart from Maryland, both respectful and very private.

The relationship that lasted six years just may have been a lie. Rumors began to circulate in 2004 about the relationship being on the rocks the moment Littrell took a personal hiatus to deal with a sudden devestation from an undetected congenital effect, she disappearing for four years, two years still 'with' Chasez, though a source says that from then on, it was only a planted relationship to cover up his real life and that it may have began earlier than that. "She was devestated," the source claims, "not only was she seriously ill, but she was given a low blow when he told her who he was really attracted to. That was a lot of the reason she took the personal hiatus. Even with her religious family, she refused to open her mouth about his secret and promised she would back him because she did, in fact, love him. They held out for as long as they could, but the secret was killing her and it killed him to see it. So they parted ways."

Chasez has been up until recently spotted with Gossip Girl heartthrob Chase Crawford, the two painting the towns from Vegas to New York City. Not only is Crawford supposed to be with country crooner Carrie Underwood, but it seems that he is doing the same thing that Chasez had been doing with Littrell.

"They like each other a lot, they share a lot of mutual friends, a lot of common interests," the source replied, "Chase looks up to JC because he's so driven and so motivated and Chase keeps JC on his toes. They've got a common attraction."

"When Rina found out, she threw everything she could get her hands on at him," another source said. "Not about Chase, but about JC's preference. Only weeks before, JC had mentioned marriage and the two of them were figuring out the best time to even try and get engaged. Now, she had to hear he was gay. Not only did she have to hide it from her very touch-and-go family, but she had to hide it from the media, from the friends she trusted most. No one knew but her and suddenly all the weight was on her shoulders. It wasn't good for her heart and she told him that they needed to be apart. Then, as the days went on, she realized that not only was it going to affect him with the news, but her and her brother, too. So she agreed to keep up with the life they shared and even continued living with JC. They didn't even share a bed anymore and it killed her. Here was the man that she devoted her entire life to, fell in love with and suddenly, he's not the person she thought he was. She cried for so long and still does when she hears the songs he had 'written' for her. He feels horrible about it, but that's the way love goes. He didn't want to hide it from her anymore. She was the one person he trusted with his life. They were there for every little thing in their lives those six years and that's not something that goes away. That's the only reason she still wants anything to do with him."

She closed the browser in disgust, looking over at Aundrea. "That's just sad. Making up stories because they're lacking in gossip. That's like saying I really don't have a heart problem, I just have a drug problem and cover it up with that or something."

"Don't say that too loud, they may hear," Aundrea chuckled. "Like Johnny said though: he doesn't comment on things he knows aren't true. Or are. It's his business, not theirs."

"You know about what he said?"

"Yeah, he and I were talking about it on the plane today," she said. "I showed him the article. But I guess he's got some little arm candy now that may prove them wrong or make them think he's trying to do damage control."

Now she was interested. "What?"

Aundrea shrugged. "Apparently he met a girl last night he really is into. Complete opposite of you, too." She paused. "Maybe that was his intention. She's brunette and she's like, an inch shorter than him. Apparently she's a struggling actress and works in a law firm. Lucy, I think he said her name was?"

"Really."

She nodded. "He saw the story yesterday, from my understanding, got pissed off and went and got drunk. That's when he met her."

"Great, a girlfriend because of a drunken night," Audrina grumbled. "This means I have to deal with that, don't I?"

"I'm 'fraid so, sweetie."

"Argh!" She turned, putting her head into her pillow and screaming. "Why does he do that?! He doesn't want to deal with something so he goes out and makes the problem disappear ... in his fucked up mind, anyway! Then when it comes back, he just gets into this bitch ass mood and it makes me want to hurt him." She got up, grabbing her things.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to talk to him. He's being an idiot and he's gonna get himself into a mess if he doesn't watch what he's doing."

"Rina," Aundrea grabbed her friend's arm, giving her a cautious look, "I know you care about what he does, but he's thirty-one now. He's a grown man. Any mistake he makes is on him, not you. You aren't together anymore, it doesn't make you look bad."

"Any mistake he makes does come back to me," she said, pulling her arm away, "I still care about him, Drea; I'm not gonna let him throw away his life because of something stupid. He was my life for six years and I'm not gonna just overlook this." She opened the door, telling Dale to stay put with Aundrea as she went down the hall, bringing her hand up to knock on his door, it slightly ajar as she heard him strumming on his acoustic guitar, his voice soft and barely audible over the strums.

The harder I try to make my escape
You still haunt me
The farther I get, the more intense
The seperation leads to desperation
'Cause when you're not close to me
It's like a freight train's running over me
You're killing me slowly

It was the song he sang on Las Vegas. At the time, it was only partially written, though the producer had heard him sing it in the dressing room and asked him to play it. As far as she knew, it was still unwritten for the most part. He was very secretive about his songs, especially this one. He had a notebook of songs that he kept hidden that she had found once, though she wasn't sure how he deciphered what he had written because everything was jumbled and all over the place.

She froze when she heard his struggle with the words, creeping into the room slowly and watching him from afar. He was facing the other way, sitting on the couch with his leg propped up on the table in front of him with a notebook beside his foot. He sounded irritated, upset, frustrated, even.

If only you were lonely and broken
I'd creep into your into your mind without you knowing
Rearrange the pieces when you weren't watching
And leave you with a memory that you loved me

He stopped. He was definitely hungover. Anytime he was, his emotions rode right along on his sleeve. Though it would have been amazing for him to do a show hungover with the emotion, it was horrible any other time.

She heard him going over the line to himself, changing the tone, the range. He was getting more aggravated, she could hear it in his voice.

"And leave you with a memory that you love-" he stopped. "That you loved m -" he stopped again. "That you loved me."

He wrote something down and continued.

And leave you with a memory that you loved me
If only you were lonely

She cleared her throat, startling him as he turned to look at her. "I'm sorry, the door was open."

"What do you want," he asked softly, turning his head, though she saw how glassy his eyes were. Something was definitely up. Even if it wasn't what she thought it was, there were things on his mind that she needed to know about. She wanted to help him; she wanted to fix this, she had to.

"I need to talk to you," she said, suddenly really nervous in his presence. "I think there's a lot you and I need to say -"

"I'm kind of busy right now."

She cringed at the sharpness in his voice, she shrinking at how much it hurt. "Jace -"

"I'm trying to finish this, Rina."

"Can't it wait?"

"No."

She sighed deeply, crossing her arms and studying him. "I'm not going to walk away from this."

"Right now, I want you to walk away from me."

Why was he acting this way? He had never been so cold to anyone in his entire life. "JC, seriously, I -"

"I want you out of my God damn room, Audrina," he spat, voice like venom while his eyes met hers, shooting daggers that went straight to her heart. "I don't want to speak to you. Actually, I don't want to see you." He turned around and she saw him bring up a shaky hand, placing it to his head as he stared at the paper, trying to ignore her.

She stepped into the living area, slamming the door that seperated it from the bedroom, this time he being the one that was startled. "I'm going to tell you the same damn thing you told me when I found out and refused to see you," she seethed, the blood boiling so hot that she felt it in her ears, they burning just by those few moments, "I'm not going away, JC. Whatever you're going through, I'm going to be here because that's who I am. You may not know it, but everything that affects you, affects me. I'm not walking away from this, I'm not letting you act like a fucking prick to me just because there's something on your mind that you don't know how to deal with."

"You wanna know the difference between then and now is?" He set his guitar down, standing up but not moving from his spot. "You wanna know what makes this so different?"

Her chest was heaving, she afraid she'd work herself up into a palpitation attack again. "What?"

"That we aren't together anymore. That I don't give a fuck what you think anymore. That's what the difference is. You can stand there until your face is blue but I'm not talking to you. I don't want to. What's going on in my life doesn't pertain to you. Get the fuck out of my room."

He swore at her. He never swore at her. It hit her hard in the chest and she nearly stumbled against the door behind her. The words were a mental slap to her face, tears forming in her eyes as her jaw began to tremble. For a moment, the hard exterior began to crumble on the man in front of her, but he stood his ground. "Get out, Audrina."

She took in a shaky breath, turning and pulling the door open. "I don't know why I fucking bother with caring about you when all you want to do is treat people around you like shit because of some stupid rumor that we all know isn't true. You want to be miserable? Fine. You want to hate the world? Fine. But don't ever come back to me with any fucking problems, Chasez. That's over. We're over. This tour is the only thing that relates us to each other. Our song? Gone. I'm not singing it with you and I'm not performing it, period. Take the God damn thing and shove it up your ass." She walked through the door, the echoes of "fuck you!" being heard as she slammed the door.


He sat back down, picking up the guitar with weak hands. He knew his outburst was a little over-the-top, well, more than just a little. It was a horrible thing and though try as he might, he couldn't take it back. He had never, ever spoken to her like that. Suddenly, it was okay? Suddenly, because he couldn't control his dick or his heart, he could speak to her like that? That because he slept with a girl who suddenly will not leave him alone from the night before and thinks they're together now makes it okay for him to talk to her like that? No. Because he made a simple mistake the night before after way too much alcohol made it okay to flip out on her? No. No, make that two mistakes. One simple, one larger than life. Losing her two years ago and losing her again two minutes ago when he told her to get out of his life.

That was the exact opposite of what he wanted.

He cried out in frustration, throwing the notebook across the room and putting his head in his hands. He had a hangover headache and his phone was constantly beeping alerting him of a text message from the girl from last night. What was her name? Lexi? Lassie? Lucifer? He smirked. Close. Though now, he was going to have to call her that and put her in his phone as that. If she didn't get all crazy and appear at his door at 3AM at some random hotel in another city. Lucy.

He got up, ignoring his phone and walking out of his room. "Dale, Tim, where is she?" He watched the men approach him from down the hall, they speaking amongst themselves.

"She got into the elevators about two seconds ago and threatened to flatten our manhood if we followed her," Tim said, chuckling slightly. "She looked pissed and upset. Went to the top of the hotel."

"And you didn't follow her?!"

"Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned, Jace," Dale concluded. "Who were we going to mess with a Littrell like that for? They're little, but damn, they throw a hell of a punch. Besides, she's up on the roof. Only people on this floor have access to it."

He sighed deeply, shaking his head as he put his hands in his pockets. "I fucked this up so bad, man ..."

"Ah, so you're the mother fucker she was bitching about?" Dale grinned, JC shooting him an offended look. "Just go talk to her."

"She hates me."

"Dude, no, she doesn't. She'll never hate you."

"How do you know? How do you know that I didn't just put the nail in the casket of our already dead relationship? The shit is gonna hit the fan once Johnny finds out she refuses to perform our song with me ..."

"Ah, I think the shit is gonna hit the fan regardless," Dale laughed. "Just go talk to her. Otherwise, I have to deal with her cranky ass all day."

He frowned, shaking his head. "I think it's too late for apologies. It's too late for a lot of things."

"Jace -"

His mind suddenly went to the woman waiting through text message(s) to speak with him. At least someone would talk to him. "I gotta go." He turned, closing his door and locking it.

He took the phone, rolling it between his hands as he lay down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. The phone dinged once. Twice. Three times. Was this chick serious? He found a winner, apparently.

Hey, baby boy! <3
When do I get to come see you live
as the girlfriend?

You there?

Hello?!

Don't tell me you're mad at me or
something ...

He scoffed. "We fucked less than eighteen hours ago and you're already imagining me being mad at you? That I'm suddenly you're boyfriend?"

"Jace, you okay in there?"

He jumped. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"I thought I heard voices."

He had said that aloud? Whoops. "I'm fine."

"Okay. Just making sure."

He looked back down at the phone, sighing deeply. First step in getting over someone? Seeing someone new. Even if they were crazy.

Yep, I'm here. Sorry, was writing a song.
You can come anytime you'd like.

He set the phone down, staring at the ceiling and the designs that had been placed intricately into the wet paint as it dried. If he squinted, he could spell her name out. If he squinted, he saw her. If he just looked, he saw their entire life together. His eyes burned, he blinking hard to keep the emotions away. He made a mental note to never drink as much as he did, knowing hangovers made him an emotional little girl just like they were just then. Clenching his eyes shut, he heard her voice, a mental image suddenly playing in his head like a home movie.

"Baby, what are you doing?" He followed her down the hallway of his home, she dancing to her own little tune in her head. She had ignored him, though he wasn't complaining with the view he had of her behind, the sound that came from her beautiful mouth and into his ears. "Rina?"

She stopped in front of his room, her hands playing at the hem of his shirt as his heart suddenly raced, eyes dropping to the velour track suit she had on, the top half-way zipped, cleavage swelling out of the bodyshaper tanktop she had on. Whatever she was doing, he didn't care. She was his and that body ... that body was his, too. "I know you didn't want to go out for your birthday, so I figured we could just have our own little fun night in," she said, pushing open the door with her foot and showcasing the entire room shimmering with candles, the lights flickering along the walls and making it seem as if they were in their own little erotic dance.

"Our own little fun, huh," he asked softly, already feeling the strain in his jeans as his finger ran along the hem of the top of her tank top, loving the feel of her breathing rising and falling with every time he went back and forth. He hooked his finger, pullingt he tanktop slight and letting it fall back, grinning wickedly as she shook her head, laughing with him.

"C'mon, Crazy." She tugged him into the room, kicking the door closed and pushed him against the door almost animalistically, he moaning against her mouth when he heard a deep gutteral growl escape her lips when their hips connected. "Happy Birthday," she managed to say as she pulled away, breathless. The was the one thing that boggled his mind: outside of the bedroom, she was a sweet, charming woman who had the best mannerisms and was so unlike the ... beast she unleashed when the doors closed behind them. Her hands were cupping him as he inhaled sharply, feeling her knead him through the fabric. "So what does my baby want for his special day?"

He inhaled deeply, trying to steady his breathing as his eyes flickered with the only want right in front of him. "You. Naked."

She smirked. "That can be arranged you know. You just have to help me. I seem to have forgotten how to undress ..."

His hands found the zipper of the top, yanking it down and discarding it quickly, he reaching downward on her petite body and cupping her behind, lifting her up so that she was straddling him, her arms behind his head as he kissed her roughly, deeply. Her hips ground into his stomach, relief to his jeans but not to himself. He moved quickly forward, nearly dropping her to the bed as he fell between her legs, sliding up her body and pressing his lips to her pulse point, sucking as she sighed in content, it the only spot that kept her quiet but could make her squirm the next moment, which she started to do when his tongue began to trace the vein there.

"I love you," she said breathlessly, her legs locked at his waist as he smiled against her soft skin, it feeling like satin as he hummed against it.

He kissed the tender spot once more, bringing his mouth down on hers and sucking gently on her bottom lip, leaning his forehead to hers as her hands moved to his jeans, unbuckling them. For the first time, his mind wasn't where her hands were, it was in the moment. "I love you, too."

His eyes shot open when his phone beeped again, he reaching forward and pulling it into sight, free hand rubbing his eyes roughly.

Oh, yay! I can come anytime!
... Wonder if the song is about me? ;)

He sighed. Really, what had he just gotten himself into? He cast a glance upward, mind going to where the woman who sat on the roof was, shaking his head sadly. He was going where he would never again go with her, that's where he was going.



She would have been okay up there if it hadn't of been for the elevator music. She would have been okay if the song after that wasn't one that reminded her of him. Hell, she would have been okay if it weren't for him.

She had gone to her room, halfway in the door when she decided that even going in there was going to piss her off. Despite Aundrea's calls to see where she was going, she had turned on her heel and ignored her friend, hitting the elevator's up button and waiting to take the trip up to the roof. She needed to clear her head.

She had threatened bodily harm to either bodyguard if they followed her, she stepping in as they watched with mouths agape. She was pissed. No one messed with a pissed Littrell. Especially her.

She stepped into the elevator and immediately felt the tears form, doors sliding close almost in synch with the beat of the song, his voice greeting her. She put her hands to her ears, but even that couldn't stop the words forming in her head along with the song.

In all of creation, all things big and small
You are the one that surpasses them all

More precious than any diamond or pearl
They broke the mold when you came in this world
And I'm trying hard to figure out
Just how I ever did without
The warmth of your smile
The heart of child
That's deep inside
It keeps me purified ...

The doors didn't open quick enough for her, she prying them open herself and squeezing out, nearly falling as she stopped herself, an exhausted sob escaping her throat. She made it towards the middle of the roof when she collapsed, falling to a pile on her knees.

Never thought that love could feel like this
Then you changed my world with just one kiss ...

She sobbed without reserve, so happy no one had followed her. The one person that she would have wanted to follow her, didn't. He said all the wrong things, all the hurtful things, but deep down, she could never hate him, never be angry at him for longer than she could handle. Whatever the hold he had on her, it was still there after all these years.

And then their song came on. The first song they kissed during. She was a huge fan of Gavin Degraw, and for Valentine's Day, he had bought her tickets for the two of them to catch him at the House of Blues in Anaheim.

I'm gonna love you more than anyone
I'm gonna hold you closer than before
And when I kiss your soul

Your body'll be free
I'll be free for you anytime
I'm gonna love you more than anyone

The tears fell silent, she looking blurrily ahead as the sun set, the tears in her eyes giving more of a crazy colored illusion of it than it really was. Was that how she saw she and JC? A crazy illusion of something that really wasn't all she thought it to be? Those six years had to be a waste. They just had to be.

She just had to prove that to herself.

End Notes:
Thank you for all the lovely reviews!  Keep 'em coming!  <3
Chapter 8 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
This chapter took me like, a billion hours to write and I have no idea why.  Gah.  At least it's done now.  Didn't get to re-read it though, just wanted to post it.  I'll go back tomorrow and check it =]  Enjoy!

"So what's going on between you and my best friend?"

JC bent down, slipping off his sandals and holding them in his hand. "What do you mean?"

"What do you mean, what do I mean? The two of you haven't even looked at each other for two weeks! You've had six concerts and I swear to God, your song should be called 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' since the two of you stand the entire stage length away from each other. You come into a room, she leaves; her name is mentioned, you change the subject. "

"I don't know," he said softly, looking ahead as she walked arm in arm with Aubrey, who had flown down to visit her friends. They were now in North Carolina after an afternoon show for a radio station, flying out to Oklahoma later on that night. "What time do we have to be back at the hotel?"

"See, there you go again: changing the subject."

"Aundrea, I don't want to talk about it." His voice was low, eyes cast forward. He had been walking by himself, but after a few backward glances from Aundrea, she slowed her pace, joining him in the slow stroll he had taken on, not wanting him to be by himself. "I enjoy your company, but I do not enjoy the questions."

"I just ... I want to fix this for you guys."

"There isn't anything to fix," he said softly, phone ringing in his pocket. He could only groan, knowing who it was: Lucy. "I appreciate you trying to make things right -"

"Look, JC," Aundrea cut him off, standing in front of him so that he stopped in his tracks, "I know that the two of you had a falling out. I know you said things you didn't mean and I know she did, too. How do I know that? Because I know her. From knowing her, I know you. She loves you, JC. She worries about you. Probably more than she should, but she does. And from the look you're giving me right now, I know you love her, too. I don't know why you can't suck it up and be a man and tell her you still want to be with her, but it's bullshit that you're just dancing around the obvious. She can't see it, but I can. What she sees is a man who wants nothing to do with her because she thinks you've only came back into her life because you can."

He looked at her, the ringing phone long forgotten. "I can't go back in time and make things right, Drea; that's not what life is. I had my chance, we had our chance. She deserves better than me; better than someone who can't even keep his life straight long enough to know what he's had. Better than some struggling musician whose world falls apart everytime he meets her eyes because he just can't look at her without knowing how much he screwed up. And every single day, he's faced with that decision he made. And every single decision he's made since then."

The phone rang again, he sighing with annoyance. "Including this one." He pulled the phone out of his pocket, giving a sympathetic smile to Aundrea as he pulled it to his ear. He didn't want to take the call, but he didn't want to talk about where his heart was anymore. "Hey, Luce."

Aundrea sighed, walking slightly behind him to give him privacy, but close enough to still see his face. It was closing in on dusk, and at that moment, with the sun shining on his face in just the right spot, he had aged overnight. He no longer had the brightness to his eyes, the frown lines had seemingly deepened and the smile that once was a permanent imprint on his face was just a figment of imagination.

He was talking lowly, she sighing deeply and looking ahead at her two best friends, arms linked as they walked through the sand, the street lights kicking on slowly as the light began to fade. The obvious had been stated and yet he didn't act upon it. She knew that it was the truth, she could see it in their faces when they did look at each other. She saw the longing in his eyes, saw the desperation in hers. He was longing for her, longing to continue on with what they had; she was desperate for answers, desperate to get through to him.

"I'll see you in Oklahoma then."

She stopped. "Who is you?"

He looked over at her as he hung up the phone, forcing a smile. "Lucy. You'll get to meet her."

"When?"

He pursed his lips, she following his gaze towards the laughing girls ahead of them, Audrina on Aubrey's back piggyback-style, they playing in the water that was cresting. She saw the familiar flash in his eyes, the longing she caught nearly every time she look at him. Why didn't Rina see it? Most importantly, why didn't he realize that was what was in his eyes? "She'll be in Oklahoma. Sticking around for the week."

"So she'll be with you on your tour bus?"

He nodded. "Why?"

"Ugh, nothing," she said, dropping her hands in defeat. This, this was going to be interesting. Did he not see what was going to happen? Did he not remember the very high-profile relationship he had with the woman he was dating? Bring in a woman with the knowledge of this and their history and it only called for a very big, very not-so-wanted blow-out.

"Drea, help me!"

She turned her head towards the laughing yet desperate voice as Aubrey attempted to toss Rina over her shoulders, Audrina hanging desperately onto her tanktop and pulling her with her, both girls toppling into the water with a loud splash. Laughing hysterically, she jogged over towards her friends, extending her hand to help them, only to have Aubrey pull her into the water, too. "Argh, you guys, this is Gucci!"

"Cry me a river, you big baby!" Audrina laughed, she getting up and running a hand through her hair, cursing that it was now wet and would automatically curl as it began to dry. She turned her head to wring her hair, catching the piercing blue eyes watching her from a distance, the gaze being broken when Aundrea grabbed her by her leg and pulled her back down. The eyes haunted her, even as she forced a laugh out, she couldn't help but turn her head to where he once was, he now walking down the beach and not looking back.

She got up against the protests of Aubrey and Aundrea, she giving them a weak smile as she began to walk, wringing her clothes out. "I'm tired, guys. Let's go back to the hotel, all right?"

Aubrey and Aundrea looked at each other, concern on their faces. "It's not -"

"No, my heart is physically okay. Emotionally, I don't know how much more it can take." She walked away from her friends, opposite the direction of JC. Wrapping her arms around herself as she walked, she felt the tears burn in her eyes. Two years. It had been two years, and yet, he was still capable of bringing tears of her eyes. He was still capable of making her feel like every little thing centered around him, every emotion she ever felt was because of him.

"Rina!"

She ignored the soft voice calling her, knowing very well that it was Aubrey. Aundrea had given up trying to stop her friend when she went off into one of her 'I'm tired' moments, though she never pushed her to stop making excuses in fear of pissing her off. It seemed as if everything but her music had just fallen through the cracks. Sure, she still had Drea and Bree, but what else? Brian was clear across the country and JC was galaxies away, even if he was just in eyesight.

SHe dropped her hands, the humid air cooling a bit as she sighed deeply, hearing nothing behind her. They had given up. Good.

"Bet you can't stay steady on that thing when a wave breaks."

She stopped, the voice lingering in her head. What?

"You wouldn't want to put money on it, now would you?"

The voice prior laughed. "I could, but that wouldn't be as much fun as the wager I have."

She froze in her spot, suddenly remembering exactly what the memory was from. Myrtle Beach in 2000. She and JC were hanging out with the rest of his groupmates during a small break between concerts, the other four already in the water while JC hung back, sitting on the towel next to her. He had been very adamant about wanting to take her out, the attraction between the two very obvious, though she was slightly afraid to date him because of who he was, who she was and who she was related to.

"And what wager would that be, Chasez?"

"If I can keep myself from making an ass out there on that surfboard, then you owe me a date." He stood up, picking up the light blue short board that had been sitting next to him, it belonging to Justin, who had taken his long board out for the day.

"And if you make an ass out of yourself?" She looked up at him through her sunglasses, eyes skirting up his body from his toes and up to the dark blue of his swim shorts, to his skinny yet toned torso and finally to the face with a smirk resting upon it, catching her in her small once-over. She blushed, happy that she had gotten red from the sun and it wasn't quite so noticeable as the action before.

"If I make an ass out of myself," he said, pursing his lips and drifting off in thought, "then I leave you alone."

"Sounds fair," she smiled, extending her hand for him to help her up as she brushed her backside off, sand sticking the back of her red bikini bottoms. "Will you keep your part of the wager?"

"Yeah, and you can pick where we go," he smiled, giving her a wink as she rolled her eyes. "Be ready."

"Oh, I'm ready." She watched him walk into the water, watched as his legs disappeared, then his backside, followed by his long and lean back. She licked her lips. She was definitely checking him out. But that wasn't a crime, that was ... she didn't know what it was. He was little ways into the water, about ten feet away from Justin who was just wading back from having rode a wave.

She couldn't help but laugh as he turned to watch for a wave, being smacked in the face by a smaller one and sputtering on salt water. He heard her, turning his head and shaking it, prepping himself for the wave that was forming just about ten to fifteen feet behind him. She watched him lift his body up onto the board with ease, watched him stand for about five seconds, and watched the look of triumph fall from his face as he fell sideways into the water. He had lost the wager.

Audrina sat down, bringing her knees to her chest as she stared out into the deep blue water. The Atlantic wasn't the best for surfing, the water slightly more calm than the Pacific unless a tropical storm was brewing. They had both known it, but he tried to win her over anyway in an act of stubborn ego. If she closed her eyes again, she could picture it all as if it were happening right in front of her, right now.

She had to bite her lip from laughing as he waded through the water slowly, defeated. His slightly shaggy hair was sticking to his face, water dripping down off of the hair in front of his eyes as he approached her, just a few feet away from her. He had tossed the board down in aggravation, giving her a sad shrug as he walked past her. His smell, mixed with that of the suntan lotion and the water hit her nose, not even thinking when she turned slightly, gripping just above his elbow as he looked on in curiosity, pulling him to her and kissing him.

He stood there for a moment, frozen in shock. When he felt her press against him, he began to wake, reaching up and holding her face with one hand, the other gripping her hand. He tasted of sea, she tasted of the canteloupe she had been eating just minutes before he had proposed the wager. The mix was enough to drive him wild, the kiss long and lingering as he pulled away, breathless. "That was't part of the wager."

She gave him a shrug, suddenly bashful. "Well, you know ..."

"Kiss me again."

She looked at him, eyebrow raised. "Huh?"

"You heard me. I bet you to kiss me again."

She laughed, shaking her head as she stood on her tiptoes, feeling him grip both sides of her face this time, pulling her into him as the hoots and hollers of the four guys in the ocean played in their ears, neither caring.

She shook herself out of her reverie, looking down at her hands. She could taste his lips on her then; could feel his fingers in the empty spaces between hers. Licking her lips slowly and inhaling, she put her forehead to her knees, shaking her head. This heartbreak, not her heart condition, was going to be the death of her.



"Great show, man."

JC accepted the towel that was tossed to him by a roadie, thanking him. He pat his forehead dry, sweat pouring against his warm skin. He had busted his ass tonight, it being the only way he knew how to forget everything for those two short hours. Lucy was somewhere, not in his sight at the moment, which shocked him. Ever since her flight had landed in Tulsa, she had not left his side, not even for the two minutes that he wanted to take for himself to even go to the bathroom. When he came out, she was by the door with a look of longing on her face. He had really picked a good one.

"Where's the little lady?"

He turned to see Aubrey leaning up against the lights display, he shrugging as he threw the towel across his shoulder. "Wouldn't know."

"Maybe you should keep a good grasp on this one, Chasez; wouldn't want to lose her, too."

"Butt out of this, Aubrey -"

"I'm not butting out of this, JC," she snapped, pushing herself away from where she was standing, "Rina is my best friend. I'm not going to sit around and watch her have to be this stone cold woman because she's afraid of even looking at you and breaking. You may not know this, but she's not over you. I'm not quite sure why, since you just up and left her because of some little fear, but she isn't. She loves you and seeing you with Lucy is going to kill her. Do us all a favor and keep a grasp on what you have, wouldn't want your stupidity to be the reason you lose yet another person."

He opened his mouth to speak, stopping when a pair of hands slid over his shoulders, he looking back over at Aubrey, the loud, opinionated best friend with a hard, icy glare. "We're not done with this, Aubrey."

"Oh no, we're done. You and Rine aren't." With that, she walked away, bumping into him roughly as Lucy scoffed from behind him.

He sighed deeply, hanging his head as he felt Lucy place her lips to his neck. "Not now, Luce; I've got a headache."

"I could make it better," she said, voice low and raspy in his ear as her hands slid lower and lower on his torso, his hand reaching down and stopping her before he was fully cupped in the middle of the backstage area.

"I have to go on for the encore, Luce."

"They don't need an encore, they just had a four hour show."

"Did you pay for a ticket?"

"No."

"Then you wouldn't care about an encore. These people paid money for a show and I'm not going to half-ass it." He shrugged out of her grasp, going back on the stage as the screams got louder, he putting his microphone to his mouth. "Hello again, Tulsa, Oklahoma!" The screams were deafening as he grinned, eyes taking in the enormous crowd, in awe of how many people were in that place. "Encore, maybe? Perhaps? Or should I just go -" He teasingly moved, the screams crying out in protest. "No? All right!" He grinned, looking back at his band. "Take a break, fellas, this is for the audience's participation."

The screams got louder as he watched the band leave the stage, he going towards the center of the stage, a stagehand coming up and handing him the acoustic guitar, moving the smaller stand down for the sound of the guitar, JC thanking him as he pulled a pic from the stand. "Now I need you all to clap to keep beat. Pretty simple, just follow my lead ..." He clapped in beat with the song that he was going to start, smiling as the audience picked it up and he stopped quickly after. "Now, this isn't one of mys songs on my albums, but I did write it with a good friend of mine. I think you may know him? Brian Littrell?" He grinned as the cheers got louder, he shrugging, "I mean, if the name isn't even familiar, I'm not sure what would be for you guys. This song is more rockier, but since I'm making it my own, we're doing it acoustically. So here we go!"


Audrina froze when she heard her brother's name mentioned, taking a sip of her water and walking towards the wing, confused to see JC in the center of the stage by himself. She knew they had changed his set yesterday, but wasn't sure what had been the change up until now. She immediately recognized the song as one from her brother's group's new cd, forgetting that he had also worked with them on their album and it was actually how he had found out she was in the middle of her own.

You're the sun, you're the stars
You're the moon, you're the rain
Love your lips, love your eyes
Driving me insane
Oh baby, baby
You're everything but mine
You're everything but mine ...

"You go on in ten."

She nodded, her encore always after his. She watching as the band came back on, all smiles as a sudden, familiar drum beat cause her heart to skip it's own beat. The lights went down, pulsing with the techno feel of the song, she feeling the sudden boil in her belly as she always did when the song began. Damn him. There was a special place in hell for him.

She watched him, watched as he sang in the low, breathy 'come fuck me now' tone that got her going each and every time, eyes frantically darting around for someone, something to get her mind away from the song. She had to wait there, she had to go on stage in less than six minutes now. She couldn't just up and disappear. She was going crazy, looking around trying to get her mind back to normalcy.

But it was too late.

The nights when you don't call
My life is a catastrophe
I need to feel you close to me
I'm waiting out the storm
'Cause when I'm all alone
I imagine lying face to face
Inhaling every breath you take
I'm waiting out the storm
I'm waiting out the storm


"Oh God," she said softly to herself, biting her bottom lip. It was times like this that she wished she were alone, the song doing something to her that only he knew about.

Damn him. He had this planned. He had to of! This song was not on the set list!Or maybe Johnny just wanted to add a song to the mix.

The verse began, her stomach fluttering as she felt the burning deep in the pit of her belly, eyes permanently fixed on his body as he performed for the audience, body turning to the side and suddenly, he was performing for her. He was doing this to spite her.

Hell was waiting on him.

Conversation hotter than a fireman engulfed
Sweeping through my body, causing temperatures to smoke
Every second passing makes it hard for me to cope
So come to me, so come to me

She gulped. This was the part that killed her. Shot through the heart, dead on arrival killed her. Even in the dull lights before the flicker of brighter ones, she saw the intense look on his face, the face of knowing. His eyes were clouded over, and she could only imagine what he was thinking.

He was playing games with her.

Walking with my fingers and I'm creeping down real slow
Reaching for the places that no one could ever go
Pushing me to ecstacy, you touch my very soul
So come to me, so come to me, yeah

She inhaled shakily, unable to tear her eyes away. It was a disaster she couldn't stop looking at her. Her disaster.

Thinking of you, what can I do
I'm thinking of you ...

She felt a presence behind her, seeing an unfamiliar face. "Who are you?"

The woman looked at her, not sure of how to take the slightly agitated question. "Lucy."

Audrina frowned. "Oh. Nice to meet you." She didn't mean that. She turned, seeing the look of puzzlement go over his eyes as he turned away from them, she reaching over to her microphone stand and grabbing it, waiting for him to finish. The night could not end any sooner than it was.

As a ritual, he was still on stage when she re-entered, he finishing up his final bow. "Give it up for JC Chasez!" She was walking onto the stage, trying to keep the bewildered and completely riled up face off as she forced a big smile, holding her hand out to slap his down low, he going in for the slap but taking her by surprise as his fingers skimmed her bare hip, then slapping her hand. He gave her a knowing smirk, full of ego. She cursed him inwardly, still keeping the grin as she turned, facing the crowd. "I'm so glad to have been here, thank you all for having us both here for your plans for the night!"


JC watched her from the wing just as she had done with him, hearing her introduce her two friends out on stage for her. Normally, she had used 'Schizo' as an encore song, but with they being there, she had switched 'Damaged' and used it as an encore so they could come out.

"Why don't we call it an early night and get back to the tour bus," Lucy's voice purred into his ear as his eyes stayed on Audrina, unsure of what to say. He loved to watch her, be it singing, dancing or just sitting on the couch watching a movie and unwinding. When they began dating, he had already found his favorite thing about her that he could just have for the rest of his life and be happy: her laugh.

She hadn't done that in a long time without the sound of fakeness pouring out of it. No one could tell but him. He knew she was forcing it.

Why were they being stupid? Better yet, why was he? Getting drunk and picking up some random girl? That wasn't like him.

"JC?"

That random girl. Lucifer. He chuckled. "In a minute."

"But, baby ..."

"Hold on, Luce. I just wanna see this song ..."

You try to gain my trust, talking is not enough
Actions speak louder than words, you gotta show me somethin'
My heart is missing some pieces
I need this puzzle put together again

Damaged, damaged
I thought that I should let you know
That my heart is damaged, so damaged
And you can blame the one before

So how you gonna fix it, fix it, fix it?
So how you gonna fix it, fix it, fix it?
How you gonna fix it, fix it, fix it?
How you gonna fix it, fix it, fix it?
How you gonna fix it, fix it, fix it?


It was more than the song he wanted to see. It was the pulsating, twerking, gyrating and popping that Audrina did. She moved her hips in ways he wasn't sure he had seen many women do, rolling them as if they had been made to do what they were doing. Her hands went over her body, he feeling the same familiar boil that she had felt only minutes prior, he clearing his throat and casually situating himself, watching her hand run over her breasts, over her stomach, her waist. Watched her roll her hips with Aundrea and Aubrey during the bridge, she facing his direction and playing up to the crowd, giving him an open view of her entire front, though he wasn't complaining.

The way she moved brought him back to the times that they had been together, the way her hips rolled in rhythm with his, much like they were now. The way she would roll them to get entirely aroused, to how she would gyrate with him and bring them both over the hilt.

He had to leave, he had to go ... somewhere less suffocating.

"Let's go."

Lucy smiled, taking his hand as he walked towards the dressing room. He gathered his things and quickly showered (though, not really against his wishes, but against his fantasy, Lucy had joined him) in a rainfall of cold, cold water and opened the door, he exiting with Lucy close behind as Audrina came down the hallway all smiles until she met his eyes. "I'll meet you on the bus, Luce," he said softly, she looked at him as if he were crazy, "just go."

Lucy frowned, already pouting. Seriously, where did he find her? "Fine."

With Lucy out of sight and Aubrey and Aundrea just staring him down, he brushed past them without saying a word, jogging to close the space between the retreating woman. "Rina. Drine, wait."

She continued back down the hall and out towards the exit, she forcing a smile as she heard the screams of her fans, she turning to wave as she idly signed autographs, he stepping up close to her and signing some of his own. "We need to talk," he murmured as he raised his voice to say a hello to a fan that had greeted him. "Please."

"Why, so you can make a fool out of me some more? Tell me how much you hate me?" She spoke through a clenched smile, she waving as she disappeared behind her tour bus, he apologizing for his quick departure and walking quickly back towards where she had disappeared, catching the door before it slammed shut. "God damnit, JC, just go be with your little drunk slut!"

"Is that what this is about?!"

"What? Our not talking to each other?" She scoffed, looking at him incredulously, "you have got to be kidding me!"

"Look, I know I said some shit that shouldn't have been said when all you were doing was being a friend -"

"Yeah, a friend. But apparently, she don't know how to be that, either. You fucked up as a boyfriend and just wanted to fuck up as a friend, huh? You wanted to just add another notch on your bedpost with me, was that it? Get the virgin in bed and fuck her over later on when her heart is involved."

"After being with you for six years, you think you were just another notch? That I just got you to sleep with me? After six fucking years? Don't you think if I wanted that, I would have left when I got it? That's not what I was after!"

"Well then maybe you can tell me what it was, because obviously it wasn't gonna end the way I wanted it."

"I wanted to be with you, Rina! I wasn't ready to settle down!"

"No, you didn't want to. You made that nice and clear in that note you left me when you left. Yeah, that's right, JC; I'm good at keeping your secrets from the world, why not give me another, huh? Why don't we tell the world that it wasn't mutual? That you left me in the middle of the fucking night? Any other secrets you'd like me to share with the world? Why you don't want to see me? Why you can't stand to be in the same room as me?"

"Those were lies," he snapped. "I didn't want to deal with the shit I've been dealing with since I was twenty-one-years-old, Audrina; it's been around for eleven years, why should I have to continue to defend myself when those people don't mean shit to me?"

"That wasn't why you refused to talk to me," she snapped. "I may be blonde, but I'm not dense. I know the look you gave me, and it was deeper than that. So c'mon, out with it!"

"I don't want to talk about it!" He threw his hands up in anger, she scoffing and brushing past him, mumbling underneath her breath. "What, Rina, what the fuck do you have to say now?"

"I said, 'figures'! You couldn't even tell me when we were dating that you didn't want marriage, but you kept me around for six years. What are you going to do, waiting another six years to tell me this? Well, guess what, I'm not waiting around for that explanation." She slammed the door behind her, going back outside to where the fans were, she signing more autographs. He was fuming now, angry at himself that he couldn't bring it out to say to her, angry at her for egging him on when he wasn't ready. "Don't walk away from this, Audrina -"

"Why not," she asked, turning her head so that she was looking at him over her shoulder, "you taught me how." She set the pen back down on the paper, giving a syrupy sweet smile to the fan she had just signed for, escaping back into the arena with a slam of the door.

He could feel the anger rising into his ears. She was throwing this all back on him when all he did was try and save her from the inevitable. He wasn't the marrying-type, he wasn't the type of person she'd want to marry. He was just saving her from a disaster he knew would happen.

He breezed past the fans, giving them all a weak wave as he pulled the door open, seeing her storm off towards her dressing room. He ran up to her, grabbing her arm and jacking her up against the wall as she cried out in shock, eyes wide as he lowered his head to be eye-level with her tiny frame. "Not once in my life has someone made me so pissed off and so happy at the same time being in the same room as you have. Regardless of if you believe it or not, my leaving had nothing to do with you and everything to do with me. If I could take it back, I would, but I can't. You're just going to have to accept that and accept my apology for the other day. I was angry and upset and I know I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"Whatever."

He dropped his head in annoyance, seeing just how close they were. Both of their chests were heaving together, they so close that he couldn't even seen between them to their feet. His mind wandered again, back to a time when she was beneath him, chest rising and falling as it had been just then. He shook his head, ridding his mind of those thoughts as he covered the hand holding her chest with his own hand, she looking at him in confusion, "you still have my heart, Rina, just remember that. No matter how pissed off you may be at me and how much you do not want to talk to me, just remember that every decision I make is because I have you in mind. You're the only one who will ever have my whole heart."

With that, he turned on his heel, leaving her standing there in bewilderment.

End Notes:
I want to hear from you, so please review!
Chapter 9 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for all the lovely reviews!  I would love some more, so please send them my way and let me know what you think!  The plot thickens ...

He was restless. Everyone had gone out for lunch while he stayed behind to work on rusty vocals to a song he hadn't sang in a while, they all spending the entire day at the arena where the concert would be that night, Aubrey and Aundrea missing from the line-up after an emergency call from Diddy brought them back to L.A.

Long ago had he fixed his vocal arrangement, happy with how the song sounded; long ago he had stopped doodling and calling people for entertainment. How long could a small group of people actually have lunch?

Even the plush couch wasn't comfortable anymore, he having moved at least six times in the last three minutes, giving up on an attempt to nap.

He had given up on a lot of things as of late. He was such a quitter.

With Lucy gone back home, he had more time on his hands than he could handle. He now felt like a bored little kid, antsy with no place to go in an arena with nothing -

He stopped. The instruments were still on the stage from rehearsal. Bingo.

And suddenly, the antsy kid was an excited one, walking down the corridor in almost a skip, fingers grazing the cool tile on the wall.

"Come find me!"

"It's gonna be pretty damn hard to find you with a blindfold on!" He felt around with his fingers, touching walls, furniture, light fixtures. "C'mon, Rina, I'm gonna kill myself or something -"

"I would never let you kill yourself," she laughed, voice closer than it was earlier. "Come on, baby ..."

He paused in his steps, letting his senses take in his surroundings that his eyes no longer could. Within moments, he could smell her, hear her soft breathing. He felt like a bloodhound, laughing at his sudden comparison of himself to one of man's many best friends. "This is ridiculous."

"What is? And why are you laughing?"

He heard the pout in her voice, he only smiling wider, putting one hand outward while the other trailed along the wall of the hotel room suite. The room temperature changed as he walked through the doorway of the living room and into the foyer, confusion boggling his mind. Now, he smelled her and lavender. "Audrina Brianne ..." His voice trailed off as he felt the moisture in the air, realizing he was in the bathroom. His hands went to the blindfold, shaking his head in disbelief, "I thought you wanted to play 'hide and seek'?"

"We are," she said softly, he opening his eyes as the blindfold dropped off of his face and onto the floor. "You find me and seek out your present."

"I won't be finding much if you're gonna stand there in that," he mumbled, nudging his nose into her cheek and nuzzling against her face, she laughing as the two-day unshaven face tickled her skin.

"I thought I'd draw you a bath and show you just how to relax the amazing way," she said softly, hand holding the side of his face as her eyes cast downward to the bath, pulling away from him and sitting on the edge of the tub. "It's good."

"As promising as that sounds, I'd rather not acknowledge the fact that I'd be relaxing in a girl bath."

"Not even with me?" She jutted out her lip as she untied the robe, his eyes widening as he realized that there was nothing underneath it. "Afterwards, we were going to play 'find my clothes' ..."

He chuckled at her bad joke, shaking his head as she got up, her fingers playing with the hem of his shirt and slowly pulling it up and off of his body. "Who would have thought that this little girl from Kentucky with the biggest religious family would be the biggest sex fiend?"

She slid her hands across his chest and to the middle of his back, she placing gentle kisses to his shoulder and shrugging. "It's not like I was like this before you; you did this to me, baby."

"I did, didn't I?"

She looked up at him, a gleam in her eyes. "Don't get cocky."

"Well, I can give you -"

She silenced him, pressing her lips to his, murmuring, "shut up."

"You know, if that's how this relationship is going to be with you talking to me like that, I don't think we're gonna last long."

"Right, because every birthday that you have, you always look forward to what I have in store."

"Only because I know the end results."

She laughed, hitting him playfully. "Perv!"

He froze in his spot. What day was it? April what? April ... 18th? 19th? Grabbing his phone, his eyes widened. It was the 21st. Audrina's 29th birthday.

He shook off his thoughts, approaching the front of the arena and stepping in, freezing when he heard a piano, the melody a sad and haunting one. His eyes settled on the figure behind the piano, mind blank. It was Audrina.

Sinking slowly into a seat, he watched her, mesmorized by the song and by her voice. She hadn't sat behind a piano probably since the ending of the album recording; this was her at her best. The piano was her best accessory; when they were dating, he used to love to sit on the bench beside her and just watch, though it usually meant she would do the same to him.

It always was probably the first time in three days that they had been in the same room together. Well, a room the size of a couple hundred.

And then she began to sing.

He remembered the song, a song that Brian had sung at a show he had accompanied her to back when they were dating. Suddenly, Brian's strong, pleading voice was disappearing from his mind, taken on by a more soft, nurturing one; one that brought JC's stomach into a frenzy. He couldn't take his eyes off of her.

... And now I gotta move on
I've gotta catch up to the world
Even though I gave you my life
As wrong as it seems, I know it's right

But is there a place where I can go away
To escape the love that I will forever know

Where can we go from here?
All I know is that I love you still
Sometimes we do things against our will
I know I cry lonely tears
Where can we go from here?

Why, why do I cry inside
For a love that's gone away
And how can I carry on
When I know all the love is gone

Where can I go to get away
From the pain of loving you?
Tell me where ...

Where can we go from here
All I know is that I love you still
Sometimes we do things against our will
I know I cry lonely tears ...

Tell me where can I go to get away
From the pain of loving you
Where can we go from here?

It was quiet as she finished, staring down at the piano. He got up quickly, and by the grace of God, did not make a sound to startle her still form, he closing in by the end of the stage when she finally saw him. "Wait," he said softly, watching as she got up from the piano, "Rina, wait."

Her eyes crossed over the top of the piano and towards his, the look in her eyes one of fright. "I didn't know anyone was still here. I thought that you had gone to lunch -"

"Apparently, we both decided against it and had the same idea." He leaned up against the stage, watching her as she diverted her eyes, fingers dancing across the ivories and keeping her gaze away from him. "Happy Birthday, Rina."

She pressed a chord, still looking down. "Thanks."

They let the silence linger, he growing uncomfortable and hating the distance between them. "I'm sorry, too."

"Thanks."

He raised an eyebrow. Huh? Pulling himself up, he stood to the side of her, her already tiny hands smaller against the large keys. "Audrina, you okay?"

"Fine."

"Bull."

She looked up at him in surprise. "Excuse me?"

"You aren't 'fine'."

"Okay, so maybe I'm not; what's it to you?"

He sighed, defeated. "Nothing, I guess." He gave her a small smile, turning on his heel. "See you 'round, Rina."

Her soft voice stopped him in his footsteps, bringing him to a complete stop. "You're the only one who remembered."

"Remembered what?"

"My birthday." She responded, he turning and meeting her sad gaze. "Drea and Bree haven't called, Brian hasn't even called ... but you, you said something."

"I am a good guy sometimes, Rina."

"Yeah."

He stepped forward, reaching down and tugging on her elbow. "C'mon."

"Where are we going," she asked softly, letting him pull her away from the piano and out of the theatre itself. "Josh -"

He turned to look at her, looking at the face he had fallen in love with so many years ago. That was the first thing he noticed when he realized he was falling in love with her back then, how she said his name. How she let him be JC, but when she wanted to get down to the point of things, get his attention or get personal, she'd use his given name. "It's a surprise," he said softly, feeling her step closer to him as they approached the outside, fans waiting anxiously to catch a glimpse of one or both of them.

He opened the door to let her into the car, he leaning into the window by the driver and speaking lowly to him. As the man nodded and JC patted the car appreciatively, he slid in next to Audrina, glancing over her sad face. "Hey now, being with me isn't so bad, is it?"

She smirked, holding her head up on the door with her fist. "Maybe."

"I take that as an insult. You know damn well that you and I always had fun together." He gave her a sweet smile as she turned her head to meet his gaze, cheeks slightly reddening. "I wasn't even going there, you took that sentence upon yourself to make dirty!"

"I always do."

He chuckled, leaning his head against the back of the seat. She returned to being quiet again as he studied the side of her face, the face he had studied so many times and never forgot anything about it. Her eyes, a deep emerald (the green was from the Richardson side as she explained, she and Kevin sharing the green, though hers darker), always looked deep in thought, even when she was laughing. He called her his old soul when they dated, the intense gaze she looked back at him with flickered with happiness. Her skin was soft, especially in the spot that he loved to bury his face into, the sweet spot below her ear and along her jaw. She had a small scar by her left eye from walking into a door when she was a child, a scatter of freckles across her nose.

She had a cupid's bow mouth, with the perfect plump bottom lip and the two arches of her top lip looking like the top of a ribbon. She never wore lipstick, swore it off when she was sixteen and had red lipstick on, it staining her lips and keeping them that way for days after, even after she scrubbed.

And though he had no intentions to, his eyes slowly traveled down her body, from her small hands to her legs; legs that he had always watched when she was dancing, usually knowing where they'd be by the end of the night. Her body was soft, much unlike Aubrey's, who swore on her six pack and cut stomach, more like Aundrea, who watched her weight but didn't want to lose the feminine touch of her body. Her stomach was flat, but she didn't beat herself to get the body of Britney way back when her stomach was all the rage. She had a tiny scar on her chest from an exploratory surgery that was right below her breast bone, a birth mark on her hip in the shape of a half heart ...

"Jace, what are you looking at me like that for?"

He jumped, blinking once, twice. "Huh?"

"You're studying me or something ..."

"I don't need to study you," he said softly, she taken slightly aback, "I already know every part of you."

She blushed. "O-okay ... then ... why are you looking at me?"

He shrugged. "I'm just thinking is all."

"Oh."

The car stopped, he opening the door and extending his hand to help her out. The small, petite hand he had been looking at earlier slid into his as he tugged gently, she standing up and eyeing him. "So where are we?"

He released her hands, shoving his now free ones into his pockets and glancing back at the little shoppe behind him. "A little mom and pop ice cream parlor."

"And ... why would we be here?"

He grinned, turning slowly and letting her walk along side him as they walked to the door, he letting her in before him as the cool air hit his face. "I know you love ice cream and I was hungry."

"So, you being hungry brought us here?"

"Well, that and with my last tour I came here and the ice cream was amazing," he grinned, she rolling her eyes with a smile. "Go sit, I'll get us some."

"Jace -"

"I know what you eat, Rina," he laughed. "Go sit. I promise I won't let them lace it or something."

"That'd be you."

"Damn right," he grinned. "Now go sit," he said as he nodded towards the booths in the back. "I'll be there in a little."

She sat down, drumming her fingernails against the table. It was a quaint, cozy place with a sodapop shoppe feel, the main color schemes being red and white. It was a sweet-looking little place, but she couldn't stop looking at the body leaning up against the counter speaking to the woman at the register. She had caught him looking at her, what was wrong with her doing the same?

She chuckled to herself, looking away and down at the Blackberry Pearl that had become her birthday present to herself. It lit up from an incoming text, a small smile forming on her face. Okay, so maybe it wasn't just JC who remembered.

Happy Birthday, little sister!
Wish I could be there to ring
in 29 with you, but just know

that when you hit 30, I'm
gonna be right next to you,
rubbing it in and partying
my ass off! I miss you =(
Leigh and Baylee give their
love and birthday wishes, too.
Hope someone is treating you!
I love you, be safe, and have a
good show tonight!
*Bri

"What's that smile for?"

She looked up, seeing JC approaching her with two cups of ice cream in one hand and a cupcake with a candle in the other. "Brian. He just messaged me. Said Happy Birthday."

"Oh. Well, see, there you go: he didn't forget."

"Felt like everyone did."

"I'm sure they didn't. It's just been busy around here, you know?"

She shrugged. "I guess."

Watching in curiosity as he pulled out a lighter, flicking it until it lit, putting it to the candle. Her stomach fluttered as he sang to her, not quiet, but loud enough for only her to hear, his eyes bright as he held on to the last word, making it into a high pitched word as she laughed, he pointing down. "Make a wish."

"I don't believe in making wishes on candles."

He scoffed. "Oh, then just, entertain me."

"Fine," she laughed, closing her eyes and making a wish in spite of herself. To be happy again. For him to realize that he needs me. One of those would be sufficient. She blew out the candle as she thought those wishes, he clapping like an overenthusiastic parent. "You're something else."

He grinned, sliding the cup to her, one side a light green, the other a blue. "What -"

"Mint Chocolate Chip and Cotton Candy," he grinned. "I know you love both so I thought I'd get you half and half."

"How thoughtful," she chuckled, giving him a sweet smile. She put the spoon to the mint side, putting it in her mouth as he watched her with a happy look on his face. "What now?"

"It's just good to see you smile, is all."

"I smile all the time."

He shook his head. "Not like that."

"I never had a reason to, I guess."

"You should do it more often," he said as he licked the remnants of the first spoonful off of the plasticware, "you always had a beautiful smile."

She looked at him, spoon hanging out of her mouth. It had to of been attractive, she knew, but she didn't care. What was going on here? When did they start talking again? When were they suddenly cordial?

It's undeniable that we should be together
It's unbelievable how I used to say I'd fall never

Her stomach twisted as she heard the words of a song, his eyes burning into hers. Suddenly, she felt like she did when she first started having feelings for him: the stomach butterflies, heart racing, clammy palms feeling that every time his eyes looked at her in that way, she was putty in his hands. She knew he was listening to the music, eyes still on her as she busied herself with her slowly melting ice cream, closing her eyes and enjoying the sweetness of the cotton candy, eyes fluttering back open, he still looking at her. "What?"

"I really am sorry about what happened," he said finally after a long period of silence, "I never should have taken it out on you and treated you like I did."

"You're right, you shouldn't have," she said softly, shaking her head as he took another bite of his ice cream, reaching over and breaking a piece off of her cupcake as her mouth dropped in shock. "Who said you could have some? Now I don't know if I want to eat it after God-knows-where your mouth has been ..."

"Argh, I'm clean, you know it," he laughed as she raised an eyebrow. "What? I am!"

"What about Lucy? I don't know this chick."

He scoffed. "I don't even know this chick."

"But you're fucking her."

Ouch. She watched the mental hit to his face as he sighed, giving her a slow shrug. "Yeah, I guess I am."

"Well, it's you're either putting your dick in her or you're not," she stated, putting more ice cream into her mouth, "I mean, it's not like she wouldn't vocalize if you had."

"And what do you mean by that?"

She froze. "I mean nothing. But it's obvious when someone's got a dick jammed in you."

"And you'd know."

"Must we go back to that? Yes, I would know. How would I know? Because it was your dick!"

"Such foul language for such a religious little girl."

"Right. If I was that religious, you and I never would have slept together."

"And I thank God in my own religious way that you weren't." He gave her a satisfied smirk as she shook her head in disbelief. "What now?"

"Why are we talking about sex between us when it was about you and the whereabouts of your mouth?"

"Because you can't get enough of it?"

She laughed, eyes never leaving his as he put another spoonful in his mouth, triumphant. "You're egotistical, you know that?"

"Only when I know I've done good."

"JC -" She stopped, shaking her head as he looked on in interest, "never mind."

"No, I'm not never minding," he grinned, "what?"

"Forget I said anything."

"Tell me and I'll tell you something."

"You don't even know what it pertains to!"

"So?" He set the spoon down, looking at her. "Tell me. C'mon, Rina, this is me; we used to be able to tell each other everything."

"That was when we were sleeping together."

"So? Why should it change?"

"Because I'm not seeing you naked anymore?"

He chuckled, closing his eyes. "That's funny, 'cause right now, I can see you naked."

"You're disturbing."

"And you need to tell me what you were going to say."

She sighed, feeling her face redden at the impending doom that would surface from her comment. The ego would fly shortly. Getting a big spoonful of ice cream, she shoved the spoon in her mouth and mumbled, "you didn't even have to do anything; just looking at you got me off."

He nearly choked on his own air as he managed to figure out what had escaped her lips. "Whoa!"

She blushed. "Yeah, well. That's what you get, right? Take the virginity of the girl who was in love with you and just telling her it was hot outside would get her all bothered."

He grinned. "I'm going to have to remember that."

"Great," she mumbled, shaking her head as she continued to suck on the ice cream that she had shoved in her mouth. And yet another attractive feature that probably turned many men on. "Now, you."

He put the spoon in his mouth, ice cream already gone. Pig. "Let me think."

She studied him, he looking at her with a slow smile spreading across his face as they just sat across from each other, enjoying the company. She thought she'd regret coming out with him, but she was happy she came. He always made her laugh, always made her forget about the bad stuff.

So incredible, the way things work themselves out
And all emotional, once you know what it's all about, babe
And undesirable for us to be apart

Time froze at the line in the song, the only two people in the parlor she and JC. Her blinking slowed, his tongue slowed as it came out and snaked across his bottom lip. She was getting sick of hearing songs that made her want him more; sick of songs that made her love sick.

Never would have made it very far
'Cause you know you've got the keys to my heart ...

"This one really isn't embarassing," he said, breaking her from her reverie, he still sucking on the spoon. Oh, good God ... "Not so much for you as it is for me."

She nodded. "Okay ... ?"

"Well, you know how I had the hots for you back when we met, right?" When she nodded in response, he continued, "well, I wasn't going to do anything about it until your brother told me to. I kind of asked your brother for permission to date you."

"So that is why you're his favorite!" She laughed, shaking her head as he held his hand up. "There's more?"

He nodded. "And then I chickened out and actually had planned on asking you out at Christmas, but felt weird because I was still getting used to the slight age difference."

"It's three and a half years, JC."

"Back then, it seemed a lot bigger," he said, defending himself. "You were what, going on 21? We didn't start dating until you were 22 because I felt like I was robbing the cradle and I was only going on 24 ... I felt like a pedophile."

She laughed. "At least you got over it. Otherwise, well, you'd never know the amazing Audrina as well as you do."

Her phone beeped. Yet another text.

I have no idea where
you are, and JC is not
answering his phone.
Where are you guys?!
I hope you didn't kill
each other. I need you
both back here for sound
check.
Johnny

She chuckled, getting up and picking her phone up. "We better go. Johnny is having a bitch fit because he doesn't know where we are."

"All right." JC got up with her, taking the cupcake and letting her walk ahead of him, thanking the people at the counter. The small, teasing talk continued all the way to her dressing room, she still holding her ice cream cup, he finishing off the cupcake, she giving it to him as he smirked. "I'll see you on stage."

She smiled, nodding as he began to walk away, her voice stopping him. "Josh?"

The look on his face was indescribable as he turned to look her, the smile on his face contagious. "Yeah?"

"Thank you for this," she said, lifting up the empty cup of ice cream, "and for not forgetting."

He grinned, shoving the remnants of cupcake into his mouth. "You're welcome, Audrina. Happy Birthday."

She returned the smile, the familiar flutter in her heart beginning as she studied his face once more. The smile lines by his eyes, the blue-green orbs staring back at her with a happy light to them, the smile full. The cupcake crumb just hanging out on his bottom lip ... She chuckled. "You've got crumb on you."

Putting a hand to his mouth, he swiped, she shaking her head and stepping forward to point it out. He missed yet again. "Is it glued there, good God!"

She laughed, shaking her head and standing on her tiptoes, swiping it with her hand and gasping as his hand caught her wrist, face suddenly serious. "Josh ..."

"This is totally cliche with what just happened, but I can't help it -" he stopped, blinking slowly and lowering his face, nudging her nose with his as her lips parted. She had granted him access, mouth capturing hers tenderly, he holding her face as her hands rested on his chest, the cup dropped to the floor the moment his mouth touched hers. The kiss deepened, he releasing one side of her face and sliding to the small of her back, pushing her into him and letting his tongue meet hers. It was as if they had never stopped, as if they had just picked up where they left off, as if they -

"JC," she said softly as she pushed away from his chest, breathless, "we can't do this."

His heart dropped. He had made a mistake. All those reasons, signals - they were all wrong. She didn't want what he did. "Why?" He was almost afraid to hear the answer, she licking her lips slowly, self-consciously doing it also, tasting the mix of mint and cotton candy.

"Because you have Lucy," she stated, eyes darting everywhere, not looking at him, "because you have a girlfriend and cheating is wrong. Because it's us and -"

He stopped her, fingers gripping her chin. "Just say it, Audrina. Stop rambling."

Her eyes welled up and he suddenly felt his whole world fall apart around him. "Because I can't be with you, okay? I want to, but I can't let myself get hurt again.  I'm sorry."  Her words came out strangled as she fought back tears, they slowly falling down her cheeks and onto his hand.  She shook her head away from his hand, turning and opening up her dressing room door, slamming it shut. The obvious click of the door was heard, echoing in his ears.

So that was set, they couldn't pick up where they left off, regardless of how they felt for each other. Regardless of how good she felt against him, how her smile still made his stomach knot; they were done. Dead and buried two years ago. He had to move on, regardless of how bad it hurt.

He put a hand to the door, closing his eyes and blinking back emotion. He didn't know how much more of this tour he could take.

Chapter 10 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Erm, slightly NC-17 coming up.  Heh.  =]

"Hey, birthday girl, you in there?"

Audrina looked up from her spot in front of the make-up counter, hands firmly planted on the porcelain of the sink. The familiar voice brought a smile to her face as she reached up, quickly wiping off the tears and walking quickly towards the door. Pulling it open, she was met with a pair of almost matching green eyes. "Kevin!" She literally lunged at him, wrapping her arms around his neck as he squeezed her tightly. "What are you doing here? Where's Mason? Kristin?"

"At home," he chuckled, hand smoothing up and down her back as he hugged her. "Thought I'd come down and visit you for your birthday." He pulled away, studying her face. "You okay?"

She sniffled slightly, swiping at the dry tears on her cheeks. "I am, now that you're here." She grabbed his wrist, pulling him into the room as she shut the door. "How's my baby boy?"

"Getting big," he smiled, "such a ham."

"It must be in the Richardson genes then," she noted, sitting down and stretching her arms, "Brian's the exact same way."

"Once upon a time, you used to be, too," Kevin replied, sitting down next to her and studying her face. "What's got you down today? It's your birthday, you're supposed to be happy, celebrating it."

"I was celebrating it this afternoon," she said softly, shrugging as her door opened, make-up and wardrobe coming in. "And then I realized that almost everyone forgot my birthday and it just started to suck."

"Something happen between you and Chasez again?"

She got up, walking towards the counter and sitting down on the stool as they began to work on her hair and make-up for the show. Meeting his eyes in the mirror, she felt tears begin to well up once more. "No."

"If I don't know a liar when I see one, then I'd be blind," he stated, chuckling slightly, "what happened this time?"

She sighed, looking from her make-up assistant to the hair stylist and finally back to him. "Everything. That's what happened. We went to get ice cream, we had a great time and it was just that."

"And you're upset about it?"

"Well, no -"

"So what are you upset about? That he didn't fall at your feet? That you didn't tell him you still love him?"

"No," she mumbled, closing her eyes and letting the woman put eyeshadow and eyeliner on her eyes. "Nothing like that."

"Then, enlighten me, Rine."

"He kissed me."

Kevin was quiet for a moment, he leaning back into the couch with a perplexed look. "And that's why you're upset?"

She cringed as a hair was pulled as they straightened it and slicked it back into a high ponytail for her first half of the show, she disappearing into the bathroom and changing quickly, she coming out a few moments later as she eyed her cousin. "That he kissed me? No. I am upset because when he kissed me I realized just how defenseless I am against him and I couldn't bring myself to get hurt again by him."

"Some people deserve second chances, Audrina -"

"He walked out on me, Kevin. Not the other way around. He left because he didn't want to get married. He left because he wasn't ready for something like that."

"Right. He left because of that. Not because he didn't love you. So he still loves you. You love him. Get it done and over with and just hook back up already. You two are like those stupid clicking balls that teachers have on their desks: constantly colliding and then going the other way."

"And?"

"And I walked away from the kiss. I walked away from it because I knew the outcome."

"How could you know the outcome when you wouldn't even let things pan out? That kiss could have been the kiss that brought you two back together. That could have been the one thing you've been waiting on for the last two years."

"It was what I was waiting on for the last two years, Kevin! But I know him; I know what he'd do. He doesn't want to get married -"

"He didn't want to get married back then," Kevin corrected, "who's to say he doesn't want to now?"

She played with the hem of her tanktop, shrugging slowly. "I don't know."


He stood on the stage with a broad grin on his face. So that was why they had such a long lunch! In the middle of the set, the band got up and disappeared, leaving a clueless Audrina, who stood helplessly, unsure of what to do as she spoke to the audience. Johnny had grabbed him by the elbow, pulling him on stage as Brian, Aubrey and Aundrea came in from the other wing, wheeling in a large cake with candles on it and large smiles on their faces. Behind Brian was Kevin Richardson, their cousin, who was holding a frame against him. Ater a very loud, very crowd-participated 'Happy Birthday' serenade, she blew out the candles and was surprised with a platinum album frame, she literally scream and diving into her brother's arms, bawling hysterically as the screams around her deafened everyone on stage, though they didn't care.

And then she hugged him.

It came quickly, followed right after Johnny. Her eyes had met his, a sad smile on her face as she wrapped her arms around his neck, his eyes meeting Kevin's from across the stage, the shock dissipating as he closed his eyes, wrapping his arms around the small of her back and hugging her tightly. "Thank you for being a part of this," she said softly, squeezing his neck once more before pulled away and meeting his eyes for a quick few seconds, turning her head and facing the crowd, pumping a fist in the air in excitement. "Thank you guys!"

And yet, the moment she left the stage, her demeanor towards him changed. She ignored him, wrapping a towel around her neck as she drank from her water bottle, following Brian down towards her dressing room, he sighing deeply as he headed towards his.

Thoughts of the kiss ran through his mind; the way her mouth was warm against his, molded perfectly and moved like a dance with his was amazing. He missed the feel of her mouth, of her body against his; how he'd casually skim his hands up her body to grip her shoulders, her breasts, but mentally, he was making a memory of how her body felt beneath his fingers, the curve of her hip, slight inward lining of her waist and the swell of her breasts ... he was memorizing it.

And it was the same when she had hugged him earlier. When he wrapped his arms around her, he imagined his body tracing lazy circles into the small of her naked back as she lie on her stomach, spent from the tryst they had beneath the sheets earlier. He imagined the numerous times they shared a shower, intimate as they just held each other underneath the warm stream of water.

Those were the moments he loved most, especially after she got sick. Lying, standing, leaning ... any position he was in, he held her. Her skin was soft, hair fragranced by the apples of her shampoo. She'd usually drop a kiss or two at the nape of his neck, nipping gently at his tender skin as he'd smile into her hair, relishing in the fact that he had another day to hold her.

And then he freaked. He freaked and lost the one woman he loved with his all over a fear of being tied down.

He had lied when he said he didn't want marriage. True, he didn't want it then, but he did want it: with her. But instead of letting her know that, he left, leaving her a note saying she deserved better and would find a man who would want to marry her, treat her better than he could.

Two years later and she had yet to even date a man.

How stupid was he for hurting her like that? He never imagined in his wildest dreams, no, nightmares, hurting her. He wasn't sure of her reason as to why she didn't date, but he felt guilty. Had she lost faith in being happy? Had she just given up completely?

"Surprise, baby!"

He froze mid-door handle grab, turning his head slowly to meet the gaze of someone he didn't think would be around for a while. At least, he hoped. "Lu-Lucy?"

"What, you aren't surprised?" She jutted out a lip as he released the door handle, turning to look at her completely. "I took some personal time off so I could come spend time with you so you wouldn't have to spend time by yourself and that girl."

He arched an eyebrow. "That girl?"

"The one you're touring with," she replied, turning her nose up. "I don't see what you saw in her for six years ..."

He felt anger rise, shaking it away as he turned to open the door. "I don't know what she saw in me."



"Go talk to him. Go talk to him or I'll bring him to you."

She looked up at Aubrey who was sitting on the counter next to her standing body, she wiping off her make-up and looking at her friend incredulously. "Pardon?"

"You heard me," she smirked. "Seriously. He kissed you, Rina. He still wants you. He probably still loves you."

"I told him I couldn't do it," she said, meeting Aubrey's eyes and then Aundrea's, who was filing her nails on the couch. "That I couldn't be hurt anymore."

"Right, and prancing around the obvious isn't hurting you? Good Lord, Rina, I swear for the last two years, you've been miserable, but these last few weeks have been even more pathetic. The both of you are sulking around, trying to put on this fake happiness, and then when the two of you are in the same room, it's like, poof! everything is right in the world or poof! everything is wrong because the two of you aren't talking. You fucking love him, Rine, don't you? Go tell him."

"I can't ..."

"You said yourself you'd put off marriage if it meant being with him," Aundrea said from behind her, "so go tell him that. Tell him how he's the sun, he's the stars, he's the moon, he's the rain -"

"Stop quoting that song, damnit."

"Tell him you love his lips, love his eyes -" Aubrey grinned, "he drives you insane."

"You both can go to hell," she mumbled, putting her make-up remover on the table and patting her face dry. "He isn't mine. He's with Lucy."

"You're right, he's everything but yours."

"I really do hate you."

Aubrey grinned. "Go make him yours. Make him remember why you spent six years together. Make him remember why he loved you so much. Tell him you love him. Tell him you want to do things to his body that you did so long ago. That you want to ravage his chest and rip his clothes off and just ride him -"

"Aubrey!"

"Okay, am I the only one who knows the sexual tension between them?"

"Oh, I see it," Aundrea said, raising her hand and shaking her head. "Seriously. Tell him you want to fuck his brains out."

"Drea!" Audrina turned to look at her more quiet friend, surprised at her comment. "I can't believe you just said that."

"Well, either you tell him," Aundrea said, pulling out her phone, "or I call him and say that you passed out and we need him down here now."

"You wouldn't."

"Watch me." Aundrea picked up the phone, hitting the familiar digits and putting it to her ear as Audrina ran to her, hitting the end button before she could connect the call. "You're going then?"

Audrina sighed deeply. "Fine."

"Good. Now let's make you look bangable."

"Guys -" She stopped, watching as Aubrey grabbed lipgloss and Aundrea tugged at her hair tie, running her hands through her hair. "Guys! He loved me in jeans and his t-shirt, I don't think I need to try and make myself look better ..."

"Right. Good idea." Aubrey jumped off of the counter, rummaging through Audrina's duffel bag. "Ah ha! I knew you kept this in here!"

Audrina turned around, eyes widening as Aubrey held up a light blue t-shirt with the words 'my mom says I'm a catch' on it. "I used to sleep in that when I spent the night at his house. It must have been packed in there when I was throwing t-shirts in there ..."

"Right. And I'm a boy."

She frowned. "All right, so, I keep it because it's soft and it reminds me of him." She caught the t-shirt as Aubrey tossed it to her, she walking into the bathroom and pulling it to her face, closing her eyes and inhaling deeply. Sometimes, it still smelled like him: a mixture of the cologne he wore and the earthly scent of him. He never once smelled bad, not even when he got off stage, though sometimes, he was close. At that moment, she smelled him so much that it felt as if she was putting her face into his chest, not just the shirt.

She remembered the day she saw him wear it. He had been at a charity event for the Challenge for the Children, he standing next to a dunk tank and laughing hysterically as Justin was sent quickly into water, just moments after his taunts to Cameron fell to deaf ears, the ball nailing the target. His head was thrown back, laughter ringing in her ears and bringing a smile to her face as she approached him. He had reached up to slap a high-five to Justin, shirt riding up and showing the thin line of his boxer-briefs, a hint of skin just above it. She saw the jeans hang low on his hips, saw the gleam in his eyes when he caught her checking him out. The shirt (and his body) were hers that night.

"C'mon, stop procrastinating!"

She pulled off her tank top, tugging the shirt over her head and pulling it down to her waist. Though it settled on his hips nicely, with his flat chest compared to her fuller one, the shirt rode above her jeans, showing a small hint of skin. "I feel ridiculous doing this ..."

"You'll get over it. Now, get out of there and go to him! Grab him by that hair at the back of his neck and just give it to him!"

"Aundrea!"

"Hey, I'm just saying what I know you're thinking!"

She groaned, stepping out of the bathroom as both girls looked her over. "What, what now?"

"No wonder he let you wear that shirt," Aubrey chuckled, "if I was a dude, I'd be jacking off right now."

"I seriously don't know why you two are my friends," she mumbled, both girls laughing and grabbing her hands, pushing her out the door. "I might disown you by the end of the night ..."

"We'll see you on the bus!"

She crossed her arms underneath her chest self-consciously, walking down the hall. Brian and Kevin both flew back home right after the show, only coming in to surprise her with the platinum award, Aundrea and Aubrey both staying for at least another week. Was she really doing this? Was she really going to face the one person, the one thing she was afraid of most? She wasn't afraid of him, but of the fact that he had hurt her and was able to do it again if she let him.

She stepped up to his door, suddenly very aware of just how close she was to what could be a new beginning or the end of something that had been waiting for a long time to do so. Suddenly, she wasn't so afraid; suddenly, all she wanted to do was grab him by the front of the shirt, pull him securely against her and kiss him like she had wanted to earlier that day. Kiss him with every ounce of pain she had the two eyars they were apart, that she thought about him finding happiness without her, that she hadn't found in the two years without him.

She put her fist to the door, knocking gently. Rustling came, soon followed by a very slow opening door. Her eyes widening at her greeter.

"Yes?"

Lucy. Lucy was here. "Is JC in there?"

Lucy rolled her eyes, leaning up against the doorframe, wearing his shirt and looking at her hands in a bored fashion. This was a bad idea. "He is, but he's indisposed as of right now."

"A-all right," she said softly, backing away. Her throat was tightening; she was going to cry soon. "Never mind then." She turned, walking slowly away and tugging at the hem of the shirt. "Such a stupid idea. Stupid, stupid, stupid ..."

"Rine, you okay? What's up?"

She heard his voice, pace speeding up. She needed to get to her dressing room, needed to get her things and lock herself in the bathroom of her bus. She needed to sleep the rest of her life away and forget about everything. Maybe her condition would give her a stroke and she'd forget about the life she had, forget about her heart breaking over and over again by the same man who she just kept giving it to. She'd forget how much she loved him, forget how much she wanted to be with him, regardless of all the bad stuff - because, in the end, the bad stuff was only miniscule to all the things he had done to make her happy. She wanted to forget his hugs, his kisses, his voice, their love-making. She wanted to forget how he'd say her name as he reached his climax, how he'd say her name in the morning to wake her up, how his mouth felt against the sweet spot on her neck, the only way he could get her to rise early in the morning for interviews. The way his hands would slide around her waist to catch her when they ran around his house in a silly game of some sort, his laughter ringing in her ears. How his fingers felt when they dug into her skin to tickle her, to get her attention; how his fingers fit in the spaces between hers and tugged her to him -

Just as he did at that moment.

"Talk to me, Rina."

She tried to desperately pull her hand out of his, fighting back an irritated sob escaping out of her mouth as she reached for the door of her dressing room, frantically trying to get into her safe haven, trying to escape his pleading looks. "Just let me go," she pleaded, "please, just let me go ..."

He released her hand, she scrambling into her dressing room and pushing the door closed behind her as his hand caught the it before it closed, she putting her hands to her face as she sobbed, body shaking as she sunk into the couch, burying her face into the cushions.

"Rina," he said softly, stepping towards her cautiously, reaching forward and brushing a hair away from her face, she jerking away from his touch. "Rina, please." He sat down across from her, gently prying her hands away slowly, voice racked with emotion, fighting back tears. "What's going on with you, huh? First you run away from me, and now, here you are, running again ..."

His eyes looked down at her shirt, smirking. So that was where it went. Another sob echoed, he shaking back into reality and grabbing her hands, tugging gently and holding them in his own. "Talk to me."

"Why," she asked through her tears, eyes meeting his and making his heart break, "why do I have to talk to you? You've moved on, you don't need to have anything to do with me ..."

He blinked back tears, reaching up and wiping his own away. It hurt him just to see her in the state she was in. "You need to calm down, Rina," he said softly, "your heart can't take so much -"

"I'm fine!"

He jerked away from her words, nodding slowly. "Okay, you're fine. Okay ..." He got up, unsure of what to do. "Then why did you come to my door," he asked softly, running a hand through his hair, "why were you there?"

"I wanted to talk to you," she said, attempting to calm herself as she dug her palms into her eyes, "Aubrey and Aundrea said I should ..."

"About what," he asked, stepping towards her as she stood up, wiping her eyes and looking away from him, "Rina -"

"About us," she said quickly, stepping away from him and walking towards her bag, busying herself with putting things back into it and closing it to leave. "About us and earlier -"

JC stepped up to her, grabbing her by the belt loop and pulling her up since her hands were busy. She cried out in surprise, hands flying up in defense as he grabbed her waist and turned her to face him. "About what, Rina?"

"Never mind."

He gripped her hips tightly, keeping her in her spot as she looked at him in shock, struggling against him as he pushed her to the wall, face dangerously close to hers. "About the kiss," he asked, lowering his mouth closer to hers as she squirmed, hands gripping onto his and trying to peel his fingers away from her jeans. "That's what you wanted to talk about, right? Otherwise, why would you be wearing my shirt without wanting to get me turned on by you all over again, huh? Try to get my attention without words, get me wanting to talk to you after you told me you didn't want to be near me again? Is that it?"

She closed her eyes, feeling his warm breath against her skin as he pressed himself closer to her. Bastard was hard against her thigh, his fingers dipped into the waist of her jeans and tugging her into him. Now, her squirming wasn't to get away from him, but to get closer to him, legs entangled in his as her breathing quickened.

One of his hands released her hip, pushing her against the wall as she looked at him, panicked. "Answer me, Audrina."

She felt his hand lower, felt it toying with the button of her jeans. He was playing her, playing her like an instrument to get the answers he knew he'd get if he got her where he wanted her and damnit, it was working. "Yes," she whispered, eyes shut as she nodded. "I wanted you to want me like I wanted you ..."

He popped the button on her jeans with his hand, she gasping at his sudden movement. His mouth was just barely above hers, closing in on it as he spoke, hand rubbing against her through her jeans, the coy smile playing on his lips as her breathing became ragged. "Truth is, Audrina," he said softly, nipping at her top lip as she cried out, squirming against his touch, "I've wanted you since day one and haven't stopped."

He buried his face into her neck, gently nipping at her skin, licking and sucking at the sweet spot on her neck. His fingers gripped the zipper of her jeans, sliding it down slowly and spreading the two flaps open with his fingers. Retreating from her jeans, his hand slid up her stomach, disappearing underneath her t-shirt and cupping her breasts through the lace of her bra, her head dropping back against the wall as she bit her lip, trying to surpress the moan in the back of her throat. "Jace ..."

He pulled his mouth from her neck, meeting her gaze. His eyes were dark, clouded over and the smirk on his face only brought a slight laugh from her. Had she not just been sobbing on the couch moments before? "God, you feel so damn good," he mumbled, licking his lips as he bent his head down, capturing her mouth and kissing her deeply, passionately. His hand retreated, he pushing his body against hers once more as his hand trailed along the elastic of her panties, he gasping against her mouth as her own hand found him through his jeans. "Lose the jeans," he mumbled against her mouth as she obliged, pushed them away from her hips and letting them pool at her feet, he lifting her up and away from them, nearly ripping her panties away and groaning deeply, hand cupping her. "You're so wet, baby," he murmured, she nodding against him, "for me?"

She cried out as his finger slid between her folds, plunging deep inside her and twisting slowly, curling and stroking her from inside. "Oh, God," she breathed, chest heaving, "only for you. God, just for you ..."

He pumped roughly, her moans driving his pumping faster and grabbing her leg and propping it on his hip. "Rina," he mumbled, forehead against hers, "Rina, look at me." He waited as her eyes fluttered open, the intense green gazing into his blue. "I lo -"

"JC, you in there?"

They froze, both heads both turning towards the door as she dropped her leg from his hip, pulling her panties back up and frantically grabbing her jeans. What had she just done? Was she that stupid? "Jace -"

He shot her a look to quiet her, Lucy giving up and walking away from the door, he peeking out and seeing no sign of her. "That was close -"

"We can't do this, JC," she said finally, tears brimming her eyes again, "what the hell did we just do?"

He kneaded his bulge, trying to relieve himself as he shifted from foot to foot. What had they just done? "I do believe we just proved how stupid we've been," he said, smirking, "how stupid I've been."

"We can't be doing this, JC," she cried out, jeans still hanging off of her hips as she began to cry again. "I can't do this, I can't keep coming back to you when I know it will end in disaster! Why do I keep doing this to myself?!"

"Ssh, Rina," he stepped to her, hugging her briefly before she pushed away, "Rina -"

"Get out, JC," she said softly, voice pained. She covered her eyes as she cried, willing herself not to look at him.

"Rina, I'm not going to walk away from this again," he said softly, voice trembling. He was going to break. He was breaking. "I'm not leaving without you coming with me."

"You have Lucy," she hissed, waving him away. "You already moved on."

"I was trying to get over you," he said desperately, her tears flipping the switch in his emotions. "I needed to forget everything about you; everything that I had fallen in love with! I didn't think you loved me anymore and I couldn't take it so I went out and I found the worst answer to my problem! When I should have came to you -"

"Get out, JC," she mumbled, turning away as she bent down, picking up her bag. "Get out!"

"I love you, Audrina," he said, desperate, "I can't be with anyone but you ..."

"Yeah, you know, I used to think the same thing about you," she said, scoffing at the thought, "but things just keep getting in the way or walking away and I realized that you and me, we're not meant to be. Kind of like that song, huh?"

"I want you!"

"And I want you to leave," she snapped. He saw the anger etched in the lines in her face, but he saw the sadness in her eyes. "Just get out and forget about me. Get out and forget you and I ever existed."

"Fine," he said, holding his hands up in defeat, "but it's gonna be damn hard when for the last eight years, life ceased to exist without you in it." He pulled open the door, turning to look at her, "I don't know how you did it, but you got me, Audrina; you are the only woman I have ever thought to change my life for, to change my life to better satisfy her."

"Yeah, well, I guess it's too late, isn't it?"

He scoffed. "Yeah, I guess it is." He slipped out, slamming the door behind him and stalking down the hallway towards his dressing room, taking a detour to the employee bathroom and locking it behind him. He stared at himself in the mirror, devestated at the ending, angry at himself for night fighting for it. But she was right. It was his mistake, yet he was making her pay for it every time she looked at Lucy.

Lucy. The woman he would not leave him alone and probably would not understand the meaning of 'I'm breaking up with you' without threatening bodily harm to him or herself.

He let out an exhausted sob, letting the tears fall as he stared down at his shaking hands. He was going to fix this. Somehow.

End Notes:
Right, like you'd think I'd let them off this easy - no pun intended.  Haha!  Don't kill me, please =]
Chapter 11 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Two stories in one week!  I'm on a roll this time!  Hopefully, By My Side is next  ...

"Baybeeee!"

Audrina cringed at the high-pitched squeal that Lucy had just let out as she fell into the pool, lifting her eyes from the Ok! Magazine she had been reading. Normally, media-inspired magazines weren't her deal, but there was an article about Audrina, the tour and the sudden 'turmoil' that had boiled within the last three weeks of it. Three weeks. It had been three weeks since the little tryst in the dressing room, three weeks since JC had even attempted to speak to her, and three weeks since Lucy basically blackmailed JC into being her boyfriend.

At least, that was how Aubrey put it.

The woman was beautiful, she'd give her that. With all the beauty always came a negative aspect, and the lack of brains was it. She was brunette, stood about 5'8", maybe 5'9", legs longer than Audrina's entire body and breasts that screamed 'fake' from miles away. It made her jealous when she saw JC's hand snake to her waist as she stood out of the pool, he wrapping a fleece towel around her and running his hands down the towel to help her dry, he still smiling widely. She opened the towel to welcome a hug from him, she squealing once more when attempted to nibble on her shoulder.

"Baby, stop!"

She rolled her eyes, pushing her sunglasses back up onto her nose and looking back down at the magazine. They made her sick. She made her sick.

"Sources say that the former flames have been battling it out since the beginning of the tour, the heat only rising within the last three weeks after another argument brought on the silent treatment. Just a week before, Chasez was over heard telling her to not walk away from him, her response only snapping, 'you taught me how'. That one line triggered another rumor that the break-up wasn't as 'mutual' as both parties have claimed it to be, Chasez actually leaving Littrell only months after their six-year anniversary."

"Another source claims that the silent treatment was stemmed between tension between the stars after their feelings for each other came out once more, both too stubborn to accept a reasonable answer. Littrell wants to be with him, but is afraid of his dismissive nature; Chasez loves her but is afraid he'd only hurt her again."

She looked over at Aundrea, who, as promised, stayed with her the rest of the tour (there were only four more weeks left before vacation and then rehearsal for the overseas tour) and was now sleeping with her sunglasses propped on the top of her head, lying on her stomach with her head facing her. Aubrey had left to be with her boyfriend, and ever since Lucy decided it'd be best to stay with JC to 'keep an eye on any girls'.

Tossing her magazine down, she got up, adjusting her bikini bottoms. It was very warm for late May, the heat at about 89. The entire crew had decided to take over the hotel pool, and for the last hour, is where they had been. She wasn't one to lie and tan, too antsy for that kind of process, instead opting to get into the water and keep her mind off of the article, off of the squealer and off of the eyes that were now settled on her as she lowered herself into the cool water, instantly feeling her body react to the temperature change as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Girl, you're crazy! That water is probably freezing!"

She chuckled, turning to look at Aundrea as she adjusted her bikini top, getting up and shielding her eyes as she watched her friend. She stood above her, the shadow blocking the sun as she stared up at her. "It's probably mid 70's in here, Drea. Not cold!"

"Whatever." She sat down, putting her toes in and cringing, Audrina laughing at her dramatic friend. "You lied! It's like, 30!"

"Oh, get over it," she laughed, reaching forward and grabbing her hand, tugging her with enough force to send her into the water. She retreated quickly, dodging the flailing arms as she swam to the opposite end. She cried out as she felt two arms push down on her shoulders, swallowing a good big of chlorine. When she came up, Aundrea was grinning triumphantly and Max, her publicist, was sitting on the edge of the pool with a knowing grin on his face. "I," she managed to spit out as she laughed, "hate you."

"Hate is such a strong word, darling," he grinned, getting up before she could grab at a limb to pull him in, "you've gotta be at an interview in two hours. Johnny scheduled it and I, unfortunately, just found out about it so we need to get you showered and ready to leave in 45 minutes."

"You should have been here an hour ago if you expect her to be showered and ready to leave then," Aundrea grinned, dodging the water that her friend splashed. "I'm only speaking the truth!"

"The truth should be quiet!" Audrina got up, wringing out her hair and looking across the pool. She was still breathing heavy from catching her breath, and the crystal blue gaze that burned into her eyes only made it more difficult for her to catch her breath.

He was standing there, absently talking to Lucy as she rummaged through a bag. His chest rose and fell almost in the same manner as hers, hand gripping his towel as he ran it through his hair to dry it. Her stomach turned, feeling Aundrea now tugging on her hand to pull her away from the side of the pool and back into the hotel. A sad smile stretched across his face, he raising a hand slightly to wave.

Was this what they were?

She sighed, turning and following Aundrea back inside. Things seemed less complicated when the tour first started compared to now.



"And then I told her, so what? Just because your man is studying to be a doctor means nothing! My man already claimed his career and is making more money in a year than her man will in his life!" Lucy turned to look at him, hand on her hip as he stared blankly away from her. "JC?"

He jumped at her voice, turning to look at her. "Hmm?"

"Did you hear anything I said?"

He cringed. "Money."

"What about it?"

He sighed deeply, bending down and picking up his sandals. What was it ever about? Money. Money this and money that. 'My baby makes more money than you can even fathom!' 'My baby has so much money!' It took all the strength he had to not roll his eyes. "How much money I make?"

She grinned. "I knew you were listening."

"I always am."

She huffed out when she couldn't find her wallet, it buried in her purse somewhere. "I need to go shower. This heat is doing nothing for this hair."

Wordlessly, he followed her like a lost puppy, the entire walk to the hotel room quiet. She clung to his hand when the fans were spotted in the lobby, touched him when she knew people were watching, but as soon as the elevator doors shut, she turned off her 'charm'. "Ugh, you're so hot and sticky," she groaned and she wiped at her skin, pursing her lips as she studied him up and down, "maybe you should take the shower first. You're disgusting."

He huffed out slightly, staring at the numbers ascending towards their floor. Audrina's floor. "Whatever."

"What's the matter with you? I was just stating the obvious."

He turned to look at her as the doors slowly slid open, shaking his head. "Nothing, I'm perfect." He pushed away from the wall, walking quickly to the hotel room and sliding the card in, the cool air of the room hitting his face as he peeled his shirt off, walking into the bathroom and slamming the door shut. Privacy. Alone time. That's all he wanted. He was already sick of Lucy, and he was already sick of the little game of life he was playing. He stopped mid-step and turned, locking the bathroom door so that Lucy could not 'join' him in a shower, he not wanting to deal with her greediness and though sometimes it was welcomed, roughness.

Turning the water on, he set it to the proper temperature and slowly began to peel his clothes off, catching his reflection in the mirror. Suddenly, he didn't recognize the man staring back at him. Suddenly, he had aged well beyond his years and the eyes that he he always looked back at were unfamiliar. Tour was killing him; more so, Audrina being on tour with him was the culprit. He didn't know what he was going to feel like at the end of the promotional tour, but God, if it was anything like what he was looking at now, he didn't want to know.

Stepping into the stream of hot, nearly scalding water, he let his head drop down, chin to chest. Hand supporting his weight against the wall, the water slid down his back and off of his body to the lineoleum of the tub, washing away the smell of chlorine and sweat. Unfortunately for him, against his wishes, his thoughts, his sudden aging and his regret did not follow and disappear down the drain. He was left still feeling heavy, still feeling remorse.

He let his thoughts go; let them wander as he slid down to sit underneath the stream. Shut his eyes and leaned his head back, thinking long and hard about everything his life had been, could have been, and came to. He had a good life. An amazing one for six years. After that, life just seemed mundane, unfortunate. Music still made him happy, but it brought back memories that didn't make him feel that way. It was a bittersweet story to him anymore. Bittersweet and so very heartbreaking.

He met her in 2000. Shortly after 'No Strings Attached' had been released and shortly after the court had ruled in their favor against their former boss. Brian was the business man of the Backstreet Boys, he and Lance more so of their group and in a brief meeting him, he came into contact with a beautiful girl, a few years younger than him, with the biggest, brightest green eyes he had ever seen. Her hair at the time was shorter, a choppy shoulder-length cut that she had pulled up into a messy ponytail, dressed in running shorts and a tank top a few sizes too big for her with 'Kentucky Wildcats' etched on the chest.

For him, it was love at first sight. For her, she didn't even remember meeting him up until a few months later when he and AJ McLean began working on his solo effort, though it never really took off until the present, especially with his stint in rehab and struggle to stay sober kept him from multi-tasking as he had been doing before. She came in with Brian, and it took all but a minute to realize that she, she was Audrina Littrell, the girl that had begun her recording and training for her debut album; she was Brian's baby sister that he talked about so much.

They were inseperable shortly after. It almost became borderline obsessive for him, she on his mind nearly 24/7. They were the couple everyone hated, but loved. They never fought, and when they did, the ending results were very much in their favor. He respected her belief in not sleeping with someone until she was in love, and though he knew she loved him from the start, a year and a half into they being together, they finally did and even him, the man, was moved by it. It was beautiful and he didn't know why they had waited that long to do something the two of them were made to do together. Though, he like the perks of being with her every day, too. She completed his other half, she kept him grounded.

And then she got sick. It was four years into the relationship and she suddenly was having a hard time doing the simple things. He remembered walking behind her on a short flight of steps and she actually began wheezing, believing she was getting a bad chest cold and shrugging it off. She was a big eater, but it never showed. Suddenly, she was having to buy new jeans, new tops. Her hips were fuller, her belly began to soften, and her breasts (though he wasn't complaining) had swelled. She was gaining weight as if she were retaining water in those areas, and suddenly, pregnancy rumors began to swirl around. So much, that he even believed that maybe, she was.

She put it off until the end of her tour. Put off her health to ensure that all her fans left happy, that they were satisfied, even though, every night for the last month, she was leaving the stage and nearly collapsing into his waiting arms from being so out of breath, it difficult to catch her breath. Days later, he remembered as if it were yesterday, they were in the doctor's office. He remembered the doctor's eyes widening when she told him the problems, the sudden symptoms; remembered being so scared when he immediately called for an ECHO, called for her to put on the paper gown and gave her an immediate verdict (though, the next day, they had to go back to a cardiologist for more tests).

He remembered never feeling so scared in his entire life. Was he going to lose her? Was she suddenly just going to be vacant from his life? For two years, it riddled his brain until he couldn't take it anymore and he left. He left saying that he knew she wanted to marry, that he didn't; that was a lie. He did want to marry her, but yes, the timing wasn't right because he was still so scared of it. But his major point was that if he married her, would they get to grow old together? Would he end up a widower before he became a father? A widower before his children understood the fact that mommy was sick? He made himself sick thinking of the days when they lie in bed and he'd wake up, expecting to see her dying next to him, or even worse, dead. He couldn't grasp that, he couldn't handle the risk of losing her when he had her. If he was going to lose her, it was going to be because of his decision, not fate, not God. Not her heart, either.

And he left. He broke her already bad heart. It killed him so much, to know that he had to see her daily (he was still working with AJ and she was also writing with him) following the break-up. But she slowly stopped coming around, AJ telling him that she didn't want to be around, didn't want to see him. And then in 2007, he found out she was making a comeback. Suddenly, his heart ached for her again. It always pined for her, always got that familiar pang when he heard her name mentioned on the radio about the unmentionables, the ones that actually made the music industry musical again. He had to be a part of it, had to be a part of her life again, even if it was the last thing he did.

He loved her. God, did he love her. It wasn't different from the beginning, and it hurt. It was the hollow pain that was hard to find at the source, hard to understand, but it was there. It was there and it was banging hard on him. It made him hurt that he knew she hadn't moved on yet, that she would eventually and it wouldn't be moving on with him, but with someone not him. It made him hurt that it was his own damn fault they were in the predicament that they were in the first place.

He squeezed his eyes shut tightly, imagining her touch once more. Soft skin, but sure hands. She knew what she wanted, always. But now, it didn't seem like she did. She used to smell of apples, strawberries ... now, it's perfumes. Deep, rich perfumes that caught attention with a gentle breeze as she walked by; not like the subtle smell of fresh fruit. He wasn't complaining, because either smell got to him, but this wasn't her. She hadn't been herself for a long time. He hadn't been himself for a long time.

And he was damn sick of it.

"JC, are you almost done in there? I'm going to permanently stick of this stupid chlorine if you don't hurry your ass up! I swear, you're like a girl!"

He jumped at the voice behind the door, reaching for shampoo and hurriedly running it through his hair, washing it out and quickly lathering up his body. He needed to leave this hotel, he needed away from Lucy. He needed away from his thoughts -

He stopped. No. The last time he ran away from his thoughts, he ended up with Lucy.

Okay, so she needed to be gone.

He pulled the curtain open, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around his body, not caring that he was soaking wet and trailing water from the shower to the door, swinging it open and seeing her shocked expression melt into an expectant one with a slow smile spreading on her face as she thought of why he was suddenly there.

"If you wanted me so bad, you could have just let me shower with you," she chuckled, her hand reaching for the towel as he grasped her wrist, pulling it away as she looked on, puzzled. "JC -"

"Get out, Lucy," he said softly, not feeling anything as the words tumbled out. "Take your things and leave."

"What? Why? Where am I supposed to go?!"

"What? I said, leave. Why? Because I said, leave. Where? I don't care. Maybe a placed called 'home'?" He looked at her, dumbfounded. "It's over between us, Lucy; I can't deal with you, with this anymore. So please take your stuff and leave my room before I call security."

"You can't kick me out -"

"No?" He turned, walking down to the door and opening it. "Tim? Can you come here for a minute?"

"Fine," she snapped. "I'll go. But I know why you want me to leave: it's because of that girl, isn't it? That stupid little ugly whore Audrina. The girl you can't even get because she's such an uptight prude."

"Such a hypocrite," he chuckled, shaking his head as Tim poked his head in, "take Miss Griffin's things out, please. Or, better yet, take her." He watched as Tim came in, ushering her around as she grabbed her things, looking at him and rolling her eyes as she walked past, reaching for the door. "Oh, and Luce?"

She turned, looking at him with an unreadable expression. "What?"

"It is because of that girl. That girl who has more class, more consideration than you ever will. She took my heart a long time ago and you thinking that you can take my money just makes me think that you're the ugly one."

She gasped, Tim chuckling as he pushed her by the small of her back out the door and nodding his head at JC. "She's gonna be back soon, Jace. You want me to send her down when she finishes up the interview?"

"What for?"

Tim laughed. "To tell her you love her." He gave him a 'duh' look, JC shaking his head as he raised an eyebrow. "Then, what do you want me to do?"

"I want you to get rid of that garbage and then take the rest of the day off," he said, waving Tim off with a smile. "This, this mess, I've gotta clean up myself." He sat down, leaning back up against the bedframe as he closed his eyes, hearing the door click shut. Suddenly, he was at peace. Suddenly, he didn't feel as if he were walking on egg shells. He knew it was because Lucy was gone, but it was also now because he had the freedom to do what he pleased. He could make a repeat of the rendez-vous in the dressing room, take it further, make her know just how much he needed her, how much he loved her and had never stopped; yes, he would do that. He would kiss her until she grew weak, until he couldn't breathe; make love to her like he had wanted so many times but couldn't. He'd reclaim her body, her soul as his own once more and never, ever let her go. He'd face his demons, he'd face his fears with her. She was it for him and he knew it, she knew it. He just had to make sure she remembered it.

 

 

He awoke some time later, the moon's eerie glow casting into the hotel room as he rolled over to look at the clock. He had fallen asleep still in the towel, had fallen asleep while making plans, resolutions, revelations. It was nearing midnight as he got up, stretching dramatically and reaching for a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt, hair sloppy from being wet and not brushed, but he didn't care. He was there to get her back, not there to get made-up for a photoshoot of some sort.

He walked out with every sense of confidence that he had as he breezed through his door, his heart pounding as he closed in with every step he took. He was going to do this. He was going to knock on the door, grab her when she opened it and kiss her. No, he was going to tell her he was stupid to let her go and that he loved her. That he loved her and wanted to marry her and he didn't care who knew. He'd make up those two years to her, doing whatever she pleased. And if she looked somewhat hesitant, then he'd grab her. He'd grab her and -

He stopped, eyes widening as he turned the corner of the hall. His heart fell to the floor, stomach rose to his throat and his head began to feel dizzy, like it was spinning on an orbit on his neck. No. No, this couldn't be happening.

She stood there, back to him with her arms wrapped around a man's neck. She was kissing him. What the hell had happened? What had happened to the 'not moving on' thing? How had he missed this?

He swallowed hard, turning on his heel and hurrying back to his room. He felt nauseous. Opening his door quickly and slamming it shut just for effect even though it fell closed itself, he let out an aggravated cry, walking to his bed and sitting down. He had been clinging to that false hope that maybe it would work out for the better that he hadn't let himself think about what would happen if she didn't want to take him back. Now, he felt like he was sinking into a black hole and there was no way to stop it. He was clawing to get to the top, but he was sliding, falling into the never-ending pit. The lump of bile formed in his throat as he swallowed roughly, it burning as it went back down, tears filling his eyes as he shook his head in disbelief. He was going to cry over this. He was going to the baby after all and cry.

A knock on the door startled him, he getting up and scrambling, not bothering to look through the peep hole in hopes that it was Audrina, saying it was a joke that she was pulling, just to get a rise out of him, or to do what he had planned to do with her. Hell, he didn't need the words, he just needed to feel her again, to be able to hold her and taste her lips ...

The frown on his face became even deeper when he realized it wasn't who he was waiting for. "Oh."

"Don't sound so happy to see me, Jace," Aundrea smirked as she stepped in, cocking her head to the side in confusion as she watched him walk away without so much as a hello or close the door behind her, "you all right?"

"I feel like my chest is going to blow up," he mumbled as he sat down, putting his face in his hands. "I feel like my heart just climbed out of my mouth and disappeared somewhere."

"That's attractive," she said, smirking, though stopping as she caught sight of his face as he gave her a glare, seeing the tears in his eyes, the paleness in his skin. "Jace, you okay? What happened?"

"Nothing," he mumbled. "That's what's wrong. Nothing happened."

She walked towards him, sitting down and putting a hand on his knee comfortingly. "Tell Mama Drea what's going on."

He rolled his eyes, sniffling as he shook his head. "I said it was nothing ..."

"Seriously, do you think I'm going to buy that," she asked, laughing in disbelief. "It has to do with Drina. Talk to me, Chasez."

"I did a lot of thinking today when I was in the shower and after," he said softly, she biting back a remark as he stared at his fingers, picking at the cuticles, "thought about what my life was, what it is and what it could have been. Got really scared of my choices and I got angry at myself."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "and then I told Lucy to get her things and leave. That I wanted her to go away."

"Good boy," Aundrea smiled, patting his leg gently. "So what's her leaving have to do with -"

"I told her to leave because the only woman I've ever had eyes for for the last eight years was Audrina," he said, raking his hand through his hair as he got up. "I realized I'm in love with her, it's never going to go away and she's it for me. It took two years to realize how stupid I was to let her go, but I know I did something horrible and I owned up to it in my mind. So, I was going to go tell her that; tell her how I felt, tell her how sorry I was for being an inconsiderate asshole and let her know exactly what I felt for her ..."

"And she turned you down." Aundrea's face was quiet. Did she not know what Audrina had been doing? Hell, he wished he didn't know, because then, maybe he wouldn't feel so sick to his stomach. "No? That look on your face tells me that's not it at all ..."

"She moved on," he said softly, putting his head to the wall once more. He shook his head and let the coolness of the plaster ease the heat on his face from holding tears and letting some fall, a few more sliding down his cheeks as he pulled away to look at her best friend once more, "I turned the corner to get to her room and saw her kissing another guy."

"She what?!" Aundrea got up, crossing the room and looking at him sadly, "I'm sorry, Jace, I really am. I left mid-way through the interview and caught up with some friends who lived here and didn't even know she had met someone. But you did the same thing to her, to be fair."

"I know," he frowned. "And I deserve it. Who am I to think that she was going to wait around forever for me? Because she wasn't, she didn't deserve that."

"You're right, she didn't," Aundrea nodded, crossing her arms and sighing deeply, "but, up until minutes ago, she was. She would have waited until after death to get you back. She put off meeting a man, getting married, having tons of babies and being content because she believed that you were the one she was supposed to have that life with. The one she actually got to have her happily ever after with. You made her believe that that existed. And then Lucy came along ..."

"Lucy was just some ... thing to keep my mind off of her," he mumbled. "And that obviously didn't work well at all."

"No," she shook her head, turning her head to look at the door, "but maybe, maybe that guy is her Lucy."

"Meaning ..."

"Her way of not having you on her mind 24/7," she concluded, a grin breaking out on her face, "that's it!"

"That's not it," he said, shaking his head, "that's not her."

"She hasn't been her since the tour started, JC," Aundrea corrected, "she hasn't been the same since you kissed her that night."

He reddened. "She told you about that?"

Aundrea nodded, giving him a cocky smile, "she told us about everything."

"... Us?"

"Aubrey and I."

He shook his head. "I swear, you Au's are gonna drive me crazy."

"No, not Aubrey and I, just Audrina," she replied, sitting down on his bed and patting the spot next to her. "Come on, watch a movie with me. I'll stay here with you if you want."

"She won't be expecting you?"

"Aubrey came back an hour ago, thus why I came back so she'd have someone to talk to until Audrina came back. Aubrey can keep Rina company."

"She won't hate you for staying here?"

"I'm her best friend, no."

He sighed, sitting down and look at her, "No, it's okay. You can go."

"Jace, I can stay -"

He shook his head. "I just want to go to sleep, Drea. It's okay, really. I learned my lesson, I've gotta get over it and hope that maybe, you're right; maybe she is doing what I did to her just so I can see how it feels. But for now, I need to sleep because I have to be up in five and a half hours to go practice and then hit the studio to lay down a track for the new album. And then, of course, the show. I need to get relaxed, motivated and sleep. So you can go. Really. I'm fine."

Aundrea got up, leaning over and hugging him. "If you're sure ..."

"Yes, I'm sure, mom," he chuckled. "Now leave before I call Tim on your hispanic ass. I already called it on Lucy's trampy one."

Aundrea laughed. "Good night, Chasez."

"G'night, Fimbres," he said, saluting her as she rolled her eyes, closing the door behind her. He reached forward, turning off the bedside lamp and let the eerie glow of the moon illuminate the room as he laid back, heels of his hands into his eyes as he began to cry.

End Notes:
Thank you all so much for the kind reviews!  I'm glad you like it so much!
Chapter 12 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Ah, an update!  I wasn't going to actually type this out until Friday/Saturday, but I got inspired.  This is for you, Jorie!  =]

"All right, woman," Aundrea said as she closed the door behind her, startling Aubrey and Audrina as Aubrey painted Audrina's toe nails, "you have some explaining to do."

"Who?" Aubrey looked at Drea, eyebrow raised. "Who does?"

"Not you, dum-dum. Drina."

"Me?! Why me?!" Audrina got up, toes separated by the foam divider. "What the hell did I do?!"

Aundrea smirked, shaking her head and leaning against the wall with her arms crossed. "You know, I don't understand you when it comes to matters of the heart at all. You're in love with JC, but you go and kiss some other guy?"

Audrina looked at her, confused. "What are you talking about?"

It was silent in the room as Aundrea looked at her friend, disbelief etched all over as Aubrey sat on the bed, eyes going from friend to friend, trying to read their faces to get a clue as to what was going on. Audrina snapped her gum, cringing when it made a loud click that echoed in the room.

Finally, Drea spoke. "You mean, you have no idea what I'm talking about right now?"

Audrina shook her head. "I have absolutely no clue."

"JC came to talk to you tonight," Aundrea said matter-of-factly, arms crossing underneath her chest as she studied her friend face, looking for a sign of realization. There was none, at least, that she was showing. "Walked into your part of the hallway while you were playing a game of tonsil hockey with some man -"

"Tonsil hockey? Muff, that's like, junior high slang that -" Aubrey stopped, seeing the look Drea gave her. "I mean, Audrina! You were kissing someone?! Who?!"

Audrina swallowed. She had been busted. "Oh, that."

"You kissed someone that wasn't him?" Aubrey got up, eyes wide. "Audrina, who was he?!"

"It's not a big deal, guys," she said softly, looking at them. "It really wasn't and I -" She stopped, looking at Drea expectantly. "He came to see me?"

"Yes!" She threw her hands up in exasperation, grabbing her friend's arm and sitting her down on the bed. "But who were you kissing?"

"I didn't mean to kiss him, it was a mistake -"

"What, you just slipped and hit his mouth with your lips?"

She turned to look at Aubrey, she chuckling as Aundrea grinned from in front of her. "No. I went to hug him and he kissed me. As quick as it started, I ended it. I just, I couldn't -" She stopped, defeated and sighing loudly. "I just couldn't -"

"You couldn't what? Spit it out already, woman!"

Audrina inhaled slowly, eyes fluttering closed as the face with blue eyes and dark hair graced her eyelids like a movie, tears burning as she opened them, meeting her two friends' curious gazes, "I couldn't start something with someone else when I didn't know if the other is finished."

"I knew it," Aundrea whispered as Audrina just looked down at her hands, toying with the eternity band her brother had given her, the symbolism of how the two of them would never be too far away from each other if the other needed them, that they'd be around for each other forever. Or as long as life would let them.

She wanted her brother.

"Okay!" Aubrey clapped her hands together, startling Audrina and bringing Aundrea's gaze to her. "Okay, so let's ... let's fix this. Let's continue on with this damn fairytale that abruptly was put on pause with a stupid drama. Let's get his ass in here and straighten this shit out. Let's get his fucking mind sent straight and get these two back to fuck -"

"Bree, stop," Aundrea laughed slightly, hand going to her friend's mouth and silencing her, "as much as we all want to put these two together ourselves, it's not going to happen that way. It has to happen on their terms, otherwise, it's just ... it's not going to work. They're too much of a pain in the ass to each other to have it work any other way."

"Then damnit, go talk to him!"

"No can do," Aundrea said, shaking her head, "he's already sleeping -"

"Then go wake his ass up!"

"It'd probably be best to let him blow off the steam he has -"

"Guys, stop," Audrina stopped them, getting up and pulling her clothes off of her body, pulling her tank top and pajama pants on. "I can't deal with this right now, all right? I just, I can't." She turned to look at them, sympathetic gazes burning straight to her heart. "And I can't take it when you look at me like that."

"Like what?" Aubrey looked at her, head cocked to the side as she hugged a pillow to her chest, confused. "I always look at you like this."

"No, no, you don't," Audrina said, shaking her head, "you don't look at me as if you feel sorry for me. You don't look at me like you see a child in dire need of a bandaid. Look at me like your friend. Your friend who had her life in check and suddenly, it isn't. Look at me like you support me, and that's ... that's it."

"I'm gonna always support you, Drine -"

"Okay," she said softly, reaching for her Blackberry and tucking it into the waistband of her pants. "I'm going for a walk."

"Drine -"

"I'm all right, Drea," she said softly, reaching for the door and not once looking at her friends again, their gazes hurt too much. Their gazes said everything she was afraid to say to herself, "I just need to be alone right now."

She walked down the hall, biting her lip as she approaching his door, hand slowly raising and resting against the wood, afraid to knock. She was afraid to face him now, afraid to even look at the man she had loved to look at for all those years. Suddenly, being in his presence scared her; suddenly, his opinion meant more to her than her fame, her music, even her overcoming her disease. He meant way too much to her for her to ruin what they had.

Her hand dropped, vibrating of her phone startling her as she looked at the door once last time before she stepped away, walking down the hallway and out of earshot of his room. Pulling the phone out, she saw her brother's name on the ID and lifted it to her ear, surprised. "Brian?"

"Hey, baby sister," he said softly, the tired, yet cheery tone bringing tears to her eyes. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," she lied, ducking into the corner of the hall where the ice machine was and leaning up against the wall, sliding down to a sitting position as she put her forehead to her knees, "just tired, is all."

"Then ... why did I get a phone call by two concerned friends at nearly one in the morning?"

"That," she said, pausing to keep a sob at bay, "I do not know."

"Don't lie to me, Drine," Brian said, voice still soft, yet she knew it was a warning, "I know you have something going on in that head of yours, otherwise you wouldn't have just up and left your room at this time of night to 'walk'. Aubrey and Drea wouldn't have called either, if there wasn't a problem."

"Someone kissed me tonight," she said, he quiet on the other line, "and I couldn't ... I couldn't do it. Not while he was here, not when my mind isn't on the right mindset and not ever ..."

"Because ..."

"Because I don't want to kiss anyone else," she concluded, breath shaky as she held sobs back, "because I don't want to close the book on he and I. Because I'm too afraid to even go back to re-read what we had because I'm afraid it has ended and I just missed that part of the story ..."

"Then," Brian chuckled, "go back to the co-author and see what he concluded the story with."

"I can't."

"Drina -"

"He saw us kissing, Brian. He already knows I was kissing someone else."

"So?"

"So? The one man I am in love with saw me kissing someone else. Does that not write a very bad story to you?"

"You need to stop comparing your life to a story, Drina."

"You're right," she mumbled, "my life isn't a story, it's a damn soap opera!" She gripped her hair at it's roots tugging gently to try and calm herself down. "Why does all this bad shit happened to me, Brian, huh? Why can I never get my life to stay on track for even a week?"

"Because ... having a platinum album and a sold-out promotional tour is the only thing you're allowed to have?"

"I'm serious, Brian," she mumbled, rubbing roughly at her eyes, make-up smearing on her skin, "I get a best selling album and then you get sick. I sell my second album better than my first and you have to get yet another heart surgery. I sell my third album and I get sick. I go on a hiatus and get pretty much back to health and JC runs. Now, it's all just falling apart. Not just one thing, but everything!"

"Audrina, you need to calm yourself down and face this as the adult I know you are," Brian coached, "get off of your butt, grow some manly parts and just say what you feel to him. We've seen the way the two of you look at each other. It's not over, Audrina. It never will be over. There's too much history, too much strength between the two of you for it to end. Just, suck up what pride you have left and go to him. I don't care if he's not there, you find him; I don't care if he's in the shower, you rip open that curtain and spill your heart out ... just not anything else; I don't care if he's sleeping, you wake him up and you say what you need to say. He's a good guy, Drina. A really good guy. He's not just gonna shut the door on you without letting you talk."

"I'll try."

"No, you'll do." Brian was quiet for a moment, Audrina thinking he had hung up, "I know you can do this. This is your future you are dealing with, love. This isn't a song that you can't figure out if you want on the album or not. This is life. Love. The man you love that you want to have a life with. Just, do it."

"Okay."

"I'll call you tomorrow."

She hung up the phone, gathering her nerves up as she wiped the tears away from her eyes as they still fell. He was right, regardless of her wanting him to be, he was. She needed to face him, get it all out in the open just so he knew. After that, it was his move ... yet again.

She walked quickly, reaching his door quickly and inhaling a shaky breath. Raising her fist to the heavy door, she knocked lightly, glancing down and seeing no lights on. He was asleep.

"I don't care if he's sleeping, you wake him up and say what you need to say ..."

Right. Stay on the right track. She shifted from foot to foot, biting her lip and staring at the numbers on his hotel suite's door. 507. 507. 507. She knocked again. 507. Fifty oh seven. Five zero seven. Five oh sev -

"Audrina?"

She jumped, blank stare from her face washed away as she stared at the groggy man standing in front of her, clothes wrinkled, eyes red. Had he been cry - no. He wasn't like that. "J-Jace, I need to talk to you."

He stood there, hand scratching the back of his head for a moment as he took in her form, it probably a mess in his eyes, though she wasn't disagreeing with him. But he had seen her at her worst, and this ... this may be close. "Okay," he said softly, voice raspy as he opened the door wider to grant her entrance, "come in."

She hesitantly stepped forward, following him in and shutting the door behind her, standing in the foyer as he crossed the room into the living room, sitting down on the couch and eyeing her expectantly, she stumbling forward and standing across the room from him. "I'm sorry if I woke you, I -"

"What did you want, Drina?"

She cringed, he sitting with his arms resting on his thighs, arms dangling between his legs. "I just, I -"

"I was sleeping, you know. And we do have about eight hours of soundcheck and then a show to put on, so come on, out with it."

"All right, I -" she stopped, looking away and taking a breath, "Aundrea said that you saw me tonight."

"And?"

"And I was kissing someone."

"Well, what does that have to do with us having to talk?"

"Why are you being so cold?" She looked at him, hurt. She had come to explain herself and he was being a smartass about it. "I came here to tell you that what I had done was a mistake and -"

"What you do is none of my business," he said, holding his hands up, "it hasn't been my business for two years, why should it be now, right? I think you made that perfectly clear."

"Huh?"

"You lead me on, making me think that you still care about me, and then you go and just get up on some guy? Yeah, you really don't care."

"What?! I never -"

"I thought that I was the bad guy in this. The bad guy who left you and broke your heart, but I guess the roles reversed."

"How the hell did I break your hear -"

"I shouldn't have even answered the door."

"Would just just let me fucking speak?!"

He stopped, lifting his head to meet her gaze, wide-eyed. "Fine."

"He kissed me. I felt nothing and I pulled away because I didn't want to be kissing anybody that wasn't you. I've been in love with you since the moment we started dating and I haven't stopped. It's never going to be anyone else in this world except for you, okay? There isn't anyone else I want to be with than you. There isn't anyone out there for me but you. Kissing him felt wrong and I felt like I was cheating on you even though we aren't togther and I - I just couldn't do it. He was this sweet, amazing guy ... but he wasn't you!"

"I'm nearly thirty two, Audrina. Stop feeding me horseshit."

She stepped back, it a blow to her stomach. "Excuse me?" Tears threatened to fall down her face again as his tired, aggravated eyes met hers once more. "What are you talking about? This isn't ... horseshit, I'm telling you the truth."

"Well, the truth ... set me free."

"I don't understand, I -"

"I can't do this anymore, Audrina," he said softly, "I can't ... I can't be in this hot and cold thing with you. I care about you. I care about you so much that I'd do anything to make sure you were okay, but I can't just let you be feeling one thing one moment and want nothing to do with me the next. It's not right for either of us. I think, that some part of me is going to love you, and that part of me died when I saw you kissing him, but the other part of me knew that this was going to happen sooner or later and you witnessed it happening to me. We're moving on, and we need to do that. That's why I left a voicemail for Johnny to bring in a replacement for the remainder of the tour or to just let you do it yourself. You don't need me, you never did. Musically or emotionally."

She choked back a sob, hands gripping her chest as she looked at him. "I never needed you? God, JC, if there ever was a time I never needed you then I don't know where I'd be right now! I love you, okay?! You're the only person who makes sense to me, even when what we have doesn't. I. Love. You. I love you! There isn't anyone else that I think I could ever love because they won't ... they can't be you! They aren't you! I tried so hard to move on from this, but I can't. I can't, unless you move on with me."

"I am moving on with you," he said, her stomach flipping as she saw the tears form in his eyes, "just not the same direction."

"Jace -"

"Audrina, I don't deserve you, okay? You wanted a life together, and okay, I could give you that - but I couldn't give you the marriage, the babies that you wanted. You wanted me to love you, and I did. God, I loved you. You're the first woman to make me cry, to make me realize that this world is a good place when you have someone beside you. But it all had to end sooner or later, right? You wanted what any woman wanted and I couldn't give it to you. I wasn't ready for it and I don't think I'll ever be ready for it -"

"Then give me the life you want because I'd give up mine to be with you ..."

He swallowed the lump in his throat, knowing the two were lying to each other point blank. He was willing to give it to her now, and he knew she wasn't willing to give it up. She couldn't be ... could she?

"I'm not letting you give that up, Drina. I'm not letting you give up what you've wanted for so long because of some stubborn ass. You'll find someone. You'll find someone who deserves you and wants to make those babies, make that life with you ..."

"I don't want it," she shook her head, she not even caring about the tears now, "I don't want it if it's not with you."

"I'm sorry," he said, shaking his head, "I just can't let this happen. I can't let us happen." He got up shakily, licking his lips and walking to the door. "It's just best if we both go to bed and forget this ever happened, okay? Just, go to bed and forget that we ever happened."

"How the hell can I forget that? I fell in love with you, I lost my virginity to you! You just want me to forget both of those? That not fucking possible!"

"You have to. I'm going to go to bed and pray to God that it happens for me and for you. We have to move on. We have to -" He stopped, heart stopping as her mouth pressed to his frantically, tasting the salty tears from the two of them. God, how he had wanted this all along. But he knew it wasn't right. She needed so much more than he could give her, and he knew there were plenty of men that could give it to her without thought. He loved her, and it was the best to let her go. His hands shot up, gripping her upper arms and pushing her away gently and out the door. "Good night, Audrina."

"JC, wait -"

He shut the door, closing his mouth tightly to keep his crying to a minimum. It was like that 'Butterfly' song ... 'Spread your wings and prepare to fly, for you have become a butterfly. ... If you should return to me, we truly we were meant to be ...'

Freezing in his spot, the words registered in his head. She had returned to him after he let her go. He had ruined it.

Not even moments after he shut the door, there was a knock again.

"Drina, please ..."

"It's not Audrina. JC, open the door."

He looked through the peephole, stepping back in surprise as Aundrea stood there, gazing back at him as if she knew he'd be looking. "Drea, please."

"Open the damn door, Chasez."

He opened the door, crying out as she barreled her way in, slamming the door shut and jamming a finger into his chest as he cried out in protest. "Damn, Drea, what the hell was that for?!"

"What the hell are you doing?! She came here to tell you she wanted to be with you again and you just basically throw it all back into her face?! What the fuck kind of drug are you on?! Meanwhile, little over an hour ago, you're being a stupid little pansy with that dumbass guy kissing her and weeping the story of a lost love! Seriously, what the fuck are you thinking?!"

"I can't let her get hurt again by me, Drea. I can't be responsible for that and I -"

"So what the hell do you think you did to her just now, asshole?! She's crying her heart out because we all know that the two of you are supposed to be together and that you were too dumb to say anything about it! And finally, she grows the balls you are supposed to have and says something and you just kick her where it hurts?! Are you fucking insane?!"

"I guess I am."

"You are pathetic." She stepped up, JC stepping back at the little form in front of him. Suddenly, he felt shorter than she was, it a big feat to withhold as her fist wound and socked him in the face as his voice cried out in shock and pain. "You are worthless. I swear to God, if I see you even look at her, I'm going to give you a repeat to the other eye and then I'm going to rip off your dick."

He stepped back, nursing his eye and staring at the empty space that she had been in incredulously. What the fuck?! "Aundrea!" Pausing, he knew it was worthless to call the little firecracker back, because in all honesty, she'd probably hit him more than once more and he'd deserve every hit.

But how was he going to explain this?

He shut and locked his door, walking into the bathroom and opening his already swelling eye. For as small as she was, she had a hell of a right hook. That was probably why she did, to protect her tiny frame from the larger men who tried to hassle her.

But he didn't do that!

... He just ruined a perfectly good ending to something that hadn't been so perfect.

It was beginning to bruise already at his cheek bone, she busting open his skin with the ring she wore on her middle finger, blood slowly trickling down his face. "Argh," he groaned, running cold water and splashing it on his face before reaching for a towel and wetting it, placing it on his cheek and going to the fridge to find ice.

Once he situated himself on the bed, plastic baggie housing ice cubes on his eye, he leaned back, not-swollen eye staring up at the ceiling. How was he going to explain this? He couldn't even explain it to himself. He loved her and thought, if she comes back, even though she knows what I am not ready for, it'll be fine. But she didn't. And try as he might, he tried to move on. It failed, and he found himself being along side her while she worked on her album, falling more and more in love with her all over again. He wanted her and Lucy was his decoy to make her jealous. He knew it worked at least slightly, and it was where he wanted her. But he never intended to hurt her. He wanted to be able to love her freely and openly, to be the musical couple that everyone remembered from so long ago; the devoted boyfriend who loved his girlfriend so much that he stuck by her even with all the problems she had. Then, he had to go and bust her already broken heart into a million more pieces, only to have his face shattered by her firecracker of a friend because he was an idiot.

Seriously, why did anyone want to be with him?

Chapter 13 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:

I want to thank you all so much for all the reviews!  They mean so much to me and I'm so very glad you like this story.  I welcome all the reviews I can get so I know how I'm doing!  =]

"This is Guiliana Rancic for E! News on set of the video Schizo, the new, second single from singer Audrina Littrell, who is standing here with me to take a few minutes to talk about her tour and the recent events in her life. Audrina, you look amazing, as usual."

Audrina smiled at Guiliana, thanking her. "But I couldn't look good without all my stylists and make-up, so thank them for making me look amazing," she chuckled, Guiliana looking her up and down. "It's all them!"

"Now, the single, as I stated previously, is entitled Schizo. Do you care to tell us a little about the song itself, the video?"

"Actually, it's kind of a knock-off of this song that I loved awhile back called Lucky 4 U, about a guy who basically says the woman has multiple personalities and breaks up with her. I took it to the plus side of a relationship and wrote it based on the love aspect, the physical aspect. You know, the woman who is gentle suddenly becomes the dominatix; the woman who is meek and humble is suddenly demanding and stubborn. It's how a woman can play the role, but suddenly turn into this different person when it comes down to the rawness of relationships, of sex."

"And you portray this as what you're dressed as now -"

Audrina looked down, grinning. "I like to call this the vamp ..."

"Vamp, it is," Guiliana chuckled, "if you can pan down her legs and see how high these heels are ..."

JC shifted in his chair at the hotel, sighing deeply as he studied the woman gracing the screen. The deep red corset she wore cinched in at her waist, pushing her already very evident breasts up and out, they nearly at her collarbone; hair, a strawberry blonde (she had dyed it back to her natural strawberry, rather than just blonde), was teased and sexed up; she wore boyshorts, she turning and he seeing the bottom curve of her ass and black fishnets that disappeared beyond the thigh high leather stilletto boots that he knew would be off as soon as the shoot was over. It was a one day shoot in between days for touring, they back in New York before going to Chicago later that night on Johnny's private jet.

Of course, it wouldn't be very interesting for him. In fact, it'd probably be boring since she, along with everyone associated with her, had been giving him the silent treatment after their confrontation three days ago.

The bruise around his eye had ballooned to double it's size once morning came, lid swollen shut and the cut on his cheekbone from her ring still stinging from the skin being split open. Though it had been three days, it was still bruised and the media was having a field day with it, saying that he got into a physical altercation with the same man he had seen her kissing (though it was not known in the media about that, just that they were together) after she and him were spotting entering and leaving the hotel room that night and the next morning (the man, who, for all he cared, could have been named Dipshit, had come to visit her the next morning before the press appeared so it was said that had slept together since no one saw him leave in the first place). That, though JC swung, Dipshit had hit him and his bodyguard had pulled him away before he could retaliate.

Right. He'd fight for some things (love, family, trust), but he'd never fight a man over a woman. It was the woman's decision, and acting all macho was not going to win her over in the long run.


But he would have fought for Audrina. If he had let himself.

He had given up all hope for reconsciliation between the two of them the day before when he approached her to apologize and she looked right through him as if he didn't even exist. Aubrey was behind her, using her own blue eyes as ice, making him shiver at just the thought. Aundrea, luckily (that little firecracker), was nowhere to be seen so his face (and dick) were safe.

For now.

"Now what about all those tabloid rumors about you and JC suddenly not getting along and hating each other? Is there any truth in that? Is the tour affected by any of the media coverage?"

He turned his gaze back to the tv at the mention of his name, seeing her standing there, shifting her weight back and forth. The shoes were already killing her. She looked as if she were choosing her words wisely, finally looking at Guiliana and responding.

"After you are with someone for so long, it does get a little grating on your nerves. There is always going to be that respect between each other for the music we have brought to the table for my album, for his upcoming album if he decides to use the songs we had written while working on mine, for knowing each other for so long. But, it has been a long few months, with all the tabloids, all the media frenzies going on that we have treaded onto thin ice with each other. He's giving me my space, I am giving him his own. After this promotional tour, he'll be going back to LA to work on his album and I'll be going back to Kentucky to spend some time with family before going overseas and doing a European tour."

"So the rumors about the two of you hating each other -"

"Are not true," she said, shaking her head. "It's like ... being with your best friend nonstop for 24/7. You need your space to stretch, otherwise you're going to go crazy. And we did."

"What about the rumors of his altercation with the man you have been seen around with?"

"Absolutely, 100% fabricated. Completely false. He did get into a fight ... but it was with Aundrea and they were ... wrestling around. She swung her arm to put him in a headlock and hit his cheek and a little of his eye with her hand that she wears that big-ass ring on. That's why it looks so bad. The ring caught skin and broke it open, bruising the bone beneath it. He would never, ever fight someone unless he felt it was to protect."

He stared at the screen, wide-eyed. Since when had she been such a good liar?

With a sigh that signalled his aggravation with not only the world around him, but he, himself, he reached for the remote, clicking the television off and turning on his side. Shutting his eyes, he willed all thoughts to go away, all mental images of the woman gracing the back of his eyelids to disappear. They didn't, he sighing angrily and putting his head into his pillow, a scream that would have rattled the walls just bounced back into his face. The one thing he had thought he was doing right was doing the same, coming back and hitting him in the face.

The madness had to end.


It was an exceptionally good day. It had been six days since the whole thing with JC had gone down, and since, day by day, the weight seemed to have slowly lifted off of her shoulders. She still felt slightly horrible, Aubrey and Aundrea both leaving her the day before to fly back to LA to have yet another meeting with the rest of Danity Kane for their own tour, in return, Brian and AJ coming in to visit and spend a few days with her through to the Oklahoma tour date, where they would both fly back to Orlando to start filming the video for their next single.

"Look at you, all advertising and pimping out the Boys," AJ chuckled as she walked onto the stage, taking in her Backstreet Sister t-shirt that Brian had gotten her a long time ago, it slightly small on her, showing the slight hint of midrift, jeans unbuttoned and folded down. She kicked her flip flops off towards the end of the stage, bobbing her head side to side to rid it of kinks as AJ stepped up to her, studying her face. "You all right?"

"It's a good day," she said, the echoing of the door bringing both she and AJ to look backward, JC appearing in the door, disheveled and looking more irritable than he had the day before. He plopped down in a seat far away from them, phone at his ear. "Well, it was."

"Don't think about it, all right?" AJ put his hands to her shoulders, rubbing them gently. "Remember how they said emotion is the best way to portray a song? Well, use what you're feeling, and sing the song. Soundcheck is meant for rough cuts. Belt it out, girl; make people states away feel what you're feeling."

"All right. Then our song?" She toyed with the microphone as the band behind her began playing the song roughly, tinkering with random notes. "I haven't sung it with you, yet so it's gonna take a bit for me to remember how we harmonized."

"It's all gravy, babygirl," he grinned, taking a step back. "Now sing. Get angry, damnit!"

She nodded. In all of her songs, she expressed whatever emotion it was when the song was written. This one was actually written with Brian, so she wasn't really feeling much except happiness that her brother wanted to be more than just a vocal on the album. But now, as she stood there, with her support system beside her (Brian backstage talking to Johnny) and the main person this song was suddenly aimed at, she felt pissed. She felt the anger boil in the pit of her belly, the tension in her fingers as she fisted the microphone at her side, felt her feet begin to twitch in the antsy way she was when she wanted to storm off. This was what the song needed. She always felt it was too happy, but now, now she had something to be angry at, something to give the song it needed.

She took another look over at AJ, his arms crossed with a grin on his face. He knew her body language, knew exactly where this was going to go. "Wait, cut the music!" He put his hand to hers, stopping her before she sang, turning to the band. "The song is angry, right? It's a story directed to someone from a scorned lover. Let her tell the story and come in on the second verse. Let's see how this sounds."

"J," Audrina looked at him, confused, "that's not how -"

"Trust me on this, Drine. Just, trust me." He lifted her hand with her microphone, still feeling the tension and smiling, "now sing."

She nodded slowly, still not understanding as she stood, looking at him as she brought the microphone closer to her mouth and taking a deep breath, preparing herself to sing. She hoped he was right.


It was good while it was - whatever it was
Whenever you said it
And you really believed, if you came back to me
That I would forget it
But lately, you've been praying

Things you wish you didn't say - can't take it back
Things that can't be erased - can't take it back
You're crying this time, wish you could rewind
But that's a price that you pay
And that's that.
You can't take it back!

She saw the triumphant grin on AJ's face as the music picked up, the heavy beat of the snare cueing the verse as she shook her head, laughing as she sang, AJ's hands turning her to face where the crowd would be, the bitterness in her voice evident, only making the song better.

You say you didn't mean to hurt me
Do you think I believe you and your games?
You say you're goin' through hell
And you're trying to sell that you're gonna change
Face it, I'm not playing

Things you wish you didn't say - can't take it back
Things that can't be erased - can't take it back
You're crying this time, wish you could rewind
But that's the price that you pay
And that's that
You can't take it back!

It was good while it was
Whatever it was
Whenever you said it
And did you really believe
It wouldn't come back to me
And you wouldn't regret it?

Things you wish you didn't say - can't take it back
Things that can't be erased - can't take it back
You're crying this time, wish you could rewind
But that's the price that you pay
And that's that
You can't take it back!

Can't take it back
No, no, no, no
Can't take it back

The music continued to play as the band tinkered with tuning, she biting her lip as a laugh escaped, turning to look at AJ, his eyes set on hers and dragging out into the seats. "Aren't you glad you trusted me?" He grinned, nodding towards JC slightly as her eyes wandered, seeing his uncomfortable form, scratching at his head absently and trying to keep his eyes anywhere but on her. "C'mon, next song."

Audrina nodded, watching AJ as he walked towards the end of the stage, picking up the microphone and turning it on, tapping it to test it's sound and twisting it with his wrist in entertainment. She had always gotten along best with AJ, compared to Nick and Howie, even Kevin. There was an understanding between the two that she didn't think she really understood. He was like one of her best friends when her brother joined the Backstreet Boys, the one she went out with, the one that was the first shoulder she cried on when JC left her.

In many ways, without Brian, her saving grace would have been AJ. Of course, the support of Aubrey and Aundrea was astounding, that being a major reason as to why she loved them so much, but it was always good to have a guy's input, a guy's understanding. It reversed for him, too. When he started having trouble with alcohol, she was his little counselor; when the drugs started, she was the first know to know that he had dabbled in cocaine at The Call video shoot and liked it. She tried to talk him out of it, but never judged. She would have loved to take credit for getting him to finally face his demons and going to rehab, but that credit went to his own sanity, Kevin's beating down the door and telling him to his face 'I want nothing to do with you, you are nobody to me; you are dead to me' and his mother. She was the one he called daily for the 30 days he was at Promises, the one he called the day he got out, asking for her to come and be his support.

She was the one he called crying to when he made the mistake of sleeping with someone from AA when he was engaged to Sarah. She was the moral support after he told Sarah what had happened and was the permanent house guest for the first three weeks after the engagement broke.

And that was how 'Happily Never After' came about. They had been sitting at her home in front of the piano, he holding an acoustic guitar and just shooting the breeze when he had gotten sentimental on her. They spoke about the group, about how he made mistakes and he was so glad to have her in his corner with all of them. The engagement came up and he finally, after 5 years, he told her what happened with Sarah, starting with how she stood in the middle of their foyer, engagement ring in hand as she told him she didn't want to be in that lifestyle anymore, and let the ring drop from her fingers, picking up her things and leaving him there, speechless, though not surprised.

She pulled the stool from in front of the drumset towards the middle of the stage, AJ following suite and sitting down. Licking her lips, her eyes caught JC's and her stomach churned. "I can't do this," she said softly, AJ looking at her in confusion. "I can't ... I can't do any of this."

"Don't be silly," he said, voice low, microphone dropped into his lap so no one heard their conversation. "Piece of cake, D. A piece of cake with icing and those marachino cherries on top that you love so much. He followed her gaze, frowning. "It's not about him, is it?"

Deadpanned answer. "Maybe."

"... You're not serious. Audrina, c'mon now; that relationship is dead in the water, he made that clear. You have to move on. I know how much that relationship meant to you; I know what that relationship entailed that your brother doesn't, but I've gotta tell you, why are you dwelling on something that could possibly hold you back from something that could be so much better than what you already had?"

Her eyes teared up, she looking down at her fingers and shrugging dramatically. "I don't know. All I know is him. I don't know anything else."

"That's because you've never given anyone else a chance. Look, after tonight's show, we're going out, you and I. I'm gonna get you to let loose, let your hair down for once. Maybe we'll find someone that's worthy of you crying over ... though no one is worth crying over."

"Alex, I don't know ..."

He reached up, swiping a tear that had fallen off of her cheek and sighing deeply. "Sing this with me."

"Sing what?" She looked at him quizzically, eyes immediately watering up more when she realized what he was singing.

I can see that you've been crying
You can't hide it with a lie
What's the use in you denying
That what you have is wrong?

He stood there, looking at her expectantly. "My part is yours. Sing it. Loud. Hear what you're singing. Now."

She shook her head, sighing deeply. "AJ -"

"Damnit, just sing it!"

"All right, all right, damn!" She listened to him say the first line faintly, picking up on it and beginning.

I heard him promise you forever
But forever's come and gone
Baby, he would say whatever
It takes to keep you blind
To the truth between the lines

"Good," he grinned. "Understand?"

She couldn't help but smile and shake her head in disbelief as he took her hand, spinning her and singing the chorus, she taking the higher notes and singing with him, unbeknownst to them that the entire crew (band, stylists, techs, JC and Brian) had stopped to watch their little concert.

I will love you more than that
I won't say the words then take them back
Don't give loneliness a chance
Baby, listen to me when I say
I will love you more than that


He stopped spinning her, releasing her hand and looking her dead in the eye, looking back out to where JC was, making a point that was clear to her and very, very clear to him.

Baby, you deserve much better
What's the use in holding on?
Don't you see it's now or never
'Cause I just can't be friends
Baby, knowing in the end ...

"All right, all right," she laughed, stopping him as they began the chorus once more, "let's not bring this on to a Backstreet concert!" AJ laughed from beside her, reaching over and hugging her tightly, stepping side to side as she brought the microphone to her mouth once more as she spotted her brother, lowering her voice and sounding eerily like him as she sang.

Everybody ...
Rock your body
Everybody ...
Rock your body right

"Ha ha, little sister," Brian chuckled, stepping out onto the stage and glancing from person to person. "So, what was the explanation of the little serenade there?"

"I was making a point," AJ said proudly as Brian chuckled. "It was made, though I don't know how much she took in because she's a Littrell."

"Hey!" Brother and sister looked at AJ, saying their offense in unison as he bellowed a laugh, sitting down on the stool and sipping his water that had been sitting on the floor. "I take resentment in that. I didn't choose to be a Littrell."

"No one chose anything, honey," he grinned, turning and cueing the band. "Let's rock this shit, shall we?"

"McLean, you're such a fucker," she said, rolling her eyes and sitting down as the music started, putting her microphone on the stand and pulling it down to her level. "Just wait until tonight ..."

"Oh, I'm getting lucky!"

"Damn man, that's my sister!" Brian cried out, putting his hands to his ears. "Just sing the song, already!" He went to the edge of the stage, dropping off and sitting down in the seat closest to the stage where security had been sitting, marking out a plan for that night since it had been sold out and it was expected to get pretty rowdy. "And no half-assing, McLean!"

"Ha," Audrina grinned, sticking her tongue out as AJ reached over, attempting to grab her tongue as Brian called for her to quit it. "I swear, you and I are like five-year-olds when we're together."

"This, is why we get into trouble," he grinned. Seeing the look Brian was giving him, he chuckled. "All right, Van Damme. I'm serious. Van Damme. Kill with my intense gaze. Annnnd, go!"

She shook her head in disbelief as he stared at her with an intense gaze, trying to keep her face serious as she licked her lips, prepping herself. "I hate soundchecks," she mumbled, AJ chuckling from beside her as she began to sing.

"I don't think I want this anymore,"
As she drops the ring to the floor
She says to herself, "you've left before.
This time, you will stay gone, that's for sure."

And he shouted something as
She dragged her suitcase down the path
To the driveway
She had never gone that far
Normally, this would be the time that she
Would let him talk her out of leaving
But this time, without crying
As she got into her car

She said, "No, happily never after
That just ain't for me, because finally
I know I deserve better after all. I'll
Never let another teardrop fall."

She looked over at AJ with his eyes closed, shaking his head side-to-side in rhythm to the music, her eyes slowly dragging to her brother, the smile on his face infectious as she smiled back, eyes wandernig upward to JC, seeing him biting his lip, staring at her intently, immediately looking away as she caught him. Her smile faltered as she brought her attention back to AJ, trying to keep her spirits up once more, closing her eyes and letting AJ serenade her.

As she drove away, she starts to smile
Realized she hadn't for a while
No destination, she drove for miles
Wondering why she stayed in such denial

She was laughing about the way he shouted something as
She dragged her suitcase down the path
To the driveway
She had never gone that far
Normally, this would be the time that she
Would let him talk her out of leaving
But this time, without crying
As she got into her car

She said, "No, happily never after
That just ain't for me, because finally
I know I deserve better after all. I'll
Never let another teardrop fall."

She felt AJ's hand slide over top of hers, she turning her palm upward to let him hold it, his silent support there as the two of them sang together at the bridge. He squeezed gently as her voice shook slightly, emotional. He was right, she had needed to move on, but it was so damn hard. Why was a song that was based on AJ's fallen relationship affecting her so much? Was it because it was a foreshadowing of what would have happened if she had forced JC into something he didn't want? She ending up leaving before it was too late? She leaving because he was making her miserable?

Whatever the reason, she needed to shake it, and fast.

I'm done, I'm done, I'm done
So done
I'm free, I'm free
So free

Free to feel the way I feel

She inhales a breath she'd never breathed before
Don't want no drama no more

'Cause she said, "No, happily never after
That just ain't for me, because finally
I know I deserve better after all. I'll
Never let another teardrop fall."

I'm done, I'm done, I'm done
I'm free, I'm free ...

She laughed as AJ jumped at the end of the song, a loud "woo!" escaping his lips, grabbing her hands and pulling her up. Pointing to his puckered lips, she grinned and kissed him, something the two of them did that never went past more, never meaning more than happiness between the two. He wrapped his arms around her, lifting her up and walking around penguin-like as Brian laughed, climbing back on the stage and watching as AJ let his sister down. "We did good, girl. We did damn good!"

"Eh, it was okay," she grinned, shaking her hand in a so-so manner as AJ guffawed. "Yeah, no, it was really good."

"Egomaniacs, right here, ladies and gents," Brian grinned, all three laughing aloud as a salsa version of 'All I Have to Give' played from her band, she dancing a mix between cha-cha and Charlston, belting out the lost hook of the song as Brian and AJ watched, intrigued.

My love is all
I have to give
Think I could live
Without your love

The world is for you
And love is all I have
To give
To you

"I honestly don't know what it is with you two, but you always seem like you're on speed or something," Brian laughed as AJ began to serenade her himself with a song he hadn't sang since their Homecoming, turning back into seductive AJ-mode, lifting his shirt and rolling his belly, Brian shaking his head in disbelief as his sister lapped it up.

"Do the floor hump! Hump the floor, hump the floor!"

AJ laughed as he handed her his microphone, dropping to the floor in a fluid motion and rolling his hips all the way up to his belly in the sexual act that drew many screams from their fans when he did it (it rare now, though not completely forgotten about), a giddy squeal escaping Audrina's mouth as AJ laughed. "I think I broke my pelvis on that one," he mumbled as he got up, stepping high with both legs to stretch. "Not doing that again for a while."

"Right," Brian chuckled. "Bone. Not humping things. Right."

"Yeah, this is true," AJ shrugged. "I am full of energy now though."

Audrina stepped behind the keyboard, tinkering with the chords of one of her own songs, AJ going off into one of his random moments, still serenading anyone who would listen, Brian stepping up to his sister and eyeing her. "What now?"

He sat down next to her on the bench, watching as her fingers danced gracefully over the keys. "You okay? Like, really okay?"

She missed a note, slamming her hands down in frustration and beginning the song over again, only to mess up. "God damnit!" She beat the keyboard in aggravation, Brian stopping her hands from hitting it anymore. "Damnit, damnit, damnit!"

"I take it as a no," he said softly, she glaring at him. "Ah, a definite no."

"D?"

She looked up at AJ, he approaching quickly. "What?!"

"I'm ..." he saw the look of irritation and frustration written on her face, stopping himself. "I'm going to go get us some lunch." He disappeared quickly, jumping off the stage and walking down towards one of the exits, staying clear of JC as he still sat, eyes glued on the scene in front of him.

"Well, talk to me. Five minutes ago, you were dancing and acting like a fool."

"Five minutes ago, I had AJ keeping my mind off of it."

"Well, think of AJ then."

"He's not here," she mumbled, pulling her fingers from the keys as Brian looked her in the face. "I feel as if I'm bipolar. One minute, I'm fine. Another, I'm all 'fuck him, fuck whatever we had. Fuck the six years we had together' and then, then the next minute, I just want to curl into a ball and cry."

"That's normal, Aud. It's normal to feel like that after a break-up ..."

"Two years after it actually happened?"

"Well, maybe you need closure. Maybe you haven't been able to move on because you haven't been able to say what you want to say. Maybe there hasn't been anyone to move on with yet. But it'll come. You'll find someone. You'll have your say, I promise."

"Brian? Johnny's looking for you!"

Brian turned his head, glancing back at the stage manager and nodding. "All right, I'll be there." He turned to his sister, her eyes still settled on her fingers, she breathing heavily. "You going to be all right?"

She inhaled, steadying the hyperventilating sobs she was trying to keep away as she nodded. "F-fine."

"Drine," Brian stood quickly, grabbing his sister and standing her up. "Breathe. Slow. Breathe, come on!"

She pushed him away, shaking her head. "I'm fine, Brian," she gasped. "I kept myself from crying and now I'm paying for it. Just, go see what Johnny wanted. I'll be fine."

He stepped away a little more, hand still outstretched within touching distance of her as her hand held at her chest, the other at her belly as she closed her eyes, slowing her breathing herself. "Do you want oxygen?"

"No."

"Drine -"

"Brian, seriously, just go!"

"Fine, all right," he held his hands up in surrender, taking another look at her before disappearing behind the curtains. "Call me if you need me!"

"I won't!"

"Yeah, yeah ..."

She was growing more and more angry by the minute. Her breathing wouldn't calm, there were bursts of light going across her eyes, signifying the migraine fast approaching, and JC still sat there, eyes on her like nothing was wrong. Here she was, fighting to keep herself sane, trying to keep her mind off of him and moving on while he sat there, feeling as if she were egging her on somehow. She saw a familiar look in his eyes, one that he had always given her when he was concerned, suddenly snapping. She had had enough.

She gasped as her breath finally slowed, stepping to the stage and glaring at him, he already taken aback. "Fuck you," she snapped, voice bellowing through the ampitheatre. "Fuck you and your crazy games that you're playing! Fuck what we had, because it means shit to me anymore! You're a liar, an asshole and the worst human being possible! You're going to die alone and depressed because you never let anyone in, and when you do, I'm going to laugh! You're worthless, a piece of shit, nobody! You're dead to me, you don't even exist! You're gone, you're invisible!"

AJ, who had heard the commotion from just outside the entrance as he walked back frmo getting his wallet in her dressing room, appeared back, hearing her going off, eyes widening. "Oh, fuck," he mumbled, jogging quickly to the stage, hoping to stop her before any more damage was done.

"You suck as a person, you suck as a musician and you sucked as a boyfriend! You never cared about me, you only got me because you wanted me in bed! That was it, right? I was just another notch in your bedpost, another hole in the belt! No one will love you, not once I'm done! You're a waste of space, a waste of time -" She stopped when AJ's arms wrapped around her waist, lifting her and throwing her over his shoulders, she crying out in protest. "Let me down, damnit! I'm not done!"

"Ah, I think you've said all there is that needed to be said," he said softly, holding tightly to her rear and behind her legs as he attempted to carry her out, "and then some."

Audrina gave up her struggle as AJ fumbled with the curtains, hollering for her brother as hot tears fell down her cheeks, she weak from her verbal attack and the breathing she had finally caught up on, heart falling to her inclined feet by AJ's head as she caught the devastated look on JC's face, she dropping her head in defeat and letting her brother yell at her as it all fell upon deaf ears.

She felt her body being set down in a chair in her dressing room, mute Brian going off on a tangent. It was as if she were watching a silent movie, going back and forth between her brother and close friend, both yelling and animatedly talking. Nothing was settling in her brain. The only thing she focused on was the look she saw before she disappeared behind the curtain, closing her eyes painfully as the migraine appeared like a Jack-In-A-Box, it's "Ha, here I am!" pounding against the spot just above her eye, she hanging her head as the tears began to fall the sob silencing both men. "I'm sorry," she mumbled, "I'm so sorry ..."

Arms enveloped her quickly, the familiar hug of her brother's enveloping her and comforting her as she fought her sobs, AJ's hand running up and down her back gently. "I was just angry, I wanted my closure, I want to be happy ..."

"Get her some water and some aspirin, all right?" Brian's gaze met AJ's as he nodded, getting up and disappearing for only a few moments, Brian pulling away as he pried her fisted hand open, setting two pills in her hand, waiting for her to put them in her mouth, handing her the water shortly after. "Better?"

She closed her eyes, another sob escaping as she dropped her head, Brian hugging her once more. "No ..."

He closed his eyes as he rested his head to her shoulder, rocking her back and forth to coax her to calm down. He knew she had a headache, saw the look in her eyes she always got when it came, but he knew there was more behind that look, knew that it would take more than two painkillers to fix the damage that had been done.

He met AJ's gaze, they both thinking the same thing: it would take a miracle to even repair what had already been destroyed.

End Notes:

I know many are gonna hate me, but I've decided to put 'By My Side' on an indefinite hiatus until I finish this one.  Writing the next chapter for it has been pretty migraine-inducing, not knowing where to go with it (though I know where the story is going to go, it's just the parts leading up to it that are the problem) and I want to be able to focus on it solely.  I know I promised an update to BMS like, within the day, but I got four paragraphs in and realized that it was pure crap.  I re-wrote it and again scrapped.  Nothing is making me happy with this chapter, but I promise, promise I will finish.  Don't give up on me!

 

Credits:

Can't Take It Back - Amanda Latona
More Than That - Backstreet Boys
Happily Never After - Backstreet Boys / Nicole Scherzinger
(HNA was written by T.I)
Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - Backstreet Boys
All I Have to Give - Backstreet Boys

 

Chapter 14 by Bobbilynn

"I still can't believe you busted out a Kevin line," AJ smirked, shaking his head as he drove down the road for their night out, Audrina smiling weakly from beside him, wiped out from her migraine and tired from her show. "You're dead to me. God, I can only imagine how he felt when that was said."

"AJ?"

He glanced over at her, the moon reflecting on her pale skin and giving her an eerie glow, he slightly taken aback. "Yeah?"

"Can we not talk about it? Or him?"

"Yeah," he said softly, reaching over and grasping her hand, squeezing gently and going to release, her hold on his hand still there, he letting her continue to hold it, "we can talk about how amazing your show was tonight if you'd like."

"I'd rather not talk about anything that happened today."

"Not even my ... humping the floor?"

She chuckled then, looking over at him and shrugging. "I missed seeing that. But I don't know how much of a conversation we can get out of that."

"Well, humping the floor can go many ways. Mostly dirty, in my mind, but you know." He winked at her, glancing in the rearview mirror as the lights from the city disappeared, she looking on in confusion. "I figured you wouldn't want to be around all those people after today," he said softly, an appreciative look cast upon her face, heart slightly jumping when she lifted his hand, kissing it gently. "I'll take you away from it all, even if it's just for a couple of hours."

"I'd welcome it," she murmured, bringing her other hand to cover theirs and leaning her head back on the seat of the rental car. "Where are we going?"

"Do you remember the night before I went into rehab? When you flew up to be my support and your brother's?"

She nodded. "That was such a heartbreaking day ..."

"Well, do you remember how Nick and I disappeared in the middle of the night and you all thought I bailed?"

She laughed. "Kevin wanted to kill you."

"Yeah, well ... Nick took me somewhere that just made me realize that I was doing the right thing. I didn't have voices coming every which way telling me what to do, what not to do; it was just me, and obviously Nick, and this place." He turned up a dirt road adjacent to a park, she looking out the window in confusion. "Don't worry, I'm not gonna like, kill you and dump your body," he joked, she turning to grin at him as he parked the car, waiting for her to release his hand as he got out, she following and stepping up beside him. "Do you trust me?"

She raised an eyebrow in suspicion, looking down at his outstretched hand and sliding hers into it gently. "As long as you don't kill me or drop me off of that cliff or something ..."

He grinned, squeezing reassuringly as he led her through the small wooded area and up a trail that consisted mostly of rocks and debris. "Just, be careful. I don't have a flashlight and I don't need you to be breaking your ankle or something."

"It would be a major bummer, especially since you wouldn't be around for me to whine to."

"I'd smother you with a pillow."

"Sad part is, you probably would."

He laughed, tugging her so that she was closer, she grabbing onto the beltloop of his jeans as he held her hand, keeping her steady as they climbed to the top. It took about five minutes of them walking to reach flat and sturdy land, he stopping and waiting as she walked up to stand next to him. She reached for his hand once more, eyes settled on the clear sky ahead of them and the city lights below. "Welcome to my escape from the world," he said softly, she looking over at him. "This, this is where Nick took me. Little Nick Carter knows more about life than anyone gives him credit for, that's for damn sure," he chuckled. "Four hours we sat here. Four hours sitting here and he let me vent, scream, cry ... and it was only heard by him," he looked upward and closed his eyes, "and anyone up there that chose to listen."

"But what if I don't want to talk," she asked softly as he tugged her to follow him, walking closer to the edge but far enough away to keep her fear of heights at ease. "What if I don't want to talk about this ever?"

"Then, we take in the beautiful scenery and you can know that I'm here if that ever goes away and you do want to talk," he said softly. "I'm not gonna let you go down that road I know you're headed, D; that's not gonna happen while I'm alive. You're better than this, better than what you're letting yourself think you deserve. It's just another fork in the road that you've gotta decide which way to go. And whichever way you choose, you gotta know we're all behind you: Brian, Aubrey, Aundrea ... the boys. I'm behind you. There's no way in hell I'd leave you stranded. You are one of the only people in my life that I've got that is a stable support."

"I just don't understand where I went wrong," she said softly, biting her lip to stop it from trembling as tears formed, a few falling as she swiped at them clumsily, "was I not good enough for him? Did he not love me?"

"God, he loved you more than you realize," he said softly, touching her shoulder and turning her to look at him, his hands resting on either side of her face, "he still does, Drine. In his fucked up head, letting you go, no matter how hard, how difficult it may be, is the best thing for you. He let you go to find someone who'd make you happier, who'd be able to give you what he was afraid he was incapable of. You did nothing wrong, it was his decision. I know he regrets letting you go, but it's one thing that you need to take from this that I know you don't want to see: he let you go before it got worse. He walked away before it got tougher on you when you knew it would end. No matter how hard it was, it would have been even harder, being closer to something that never would have happened, though you wished it would. He saw the flashing red lights, he saw the hurt in your eyes. He let you go before you couldn't even look at him anymore."

"I lost the one person that has been there since the beginning," she murmured, hiccuping as she fought back more tears, "he was the only one who cared about me and now I feel as if I have to start all over again, learn how to find someone ..."

"Hey," he said softly, reaching for her chin and tipping it up so that she was looking at him, "he wasn't the only one who cared about you. You gotta remember, I've known you since you were Nick's age. I saw you grow up, I saw you turn into this amazing woman, this amazing, beautiful woman. He's not the first guy to fall head over heels for you. He just made it known when it happened."

"Don't lie," she chuckled as AJ shook his head, laughing at her disbelief, "you're just trying to make me feel better."

"Nah," he said, smiling slightly, "well, I am, but it's the truth. You thought you were invisible, but I saw you. I always did."

Her eyes slowly widened, mouth shaping into an 'O' as she searched for words. "W-when?"

He shrugged. "Probably from around the time I was eighteen until maybe ... 24?"

She was quiet, unable to grasp that the rebellious, tattooed man had ever fallen for the girl she was. "Why'd you stop?"

"If I remember correctly, his name was JC," he chuckled, "I saw how you were around him and I realized that I never would have gotten that." He placed a kiss to her forehead, smoothing the flyaway hairs down to her head. "But I accepted it when I saw how happy you were; that was all I ever wanted for you. And he gave that to you for six long years. Six long years that tortured the hell outta me when I kept having failed relationship upon failed relationship." He sat down on the ground, bringing his knees close to his chest as she followed, putting the cigarette he had brought out back out of respect for her and her heart. "Nick crushed on you for a while, too. Not as long as me, only because his attention span is that of a goldfish sometimes, but you had both our hearts and you had no idea."

"And you tell me now," she said softly, sitting down next to him and leaning back onto her elbows, staring up at the stars and sighing deeply, letting the silence cover them like a warm blanket. She had always loved AJ in one way or another, but it was difficult to grasp that he had loved her. He was a flirt, an addictive personality, a short-fused man and sometimes a little too hard-headed. But beneath that exterior, he was the sweetest, kindest man she had ever come into contact with. He cared about everyone in his life, be it someone he just met clear to the furthest branch on his family tree.

They had been closer when she was younger, she visiting on tour more often than not before she herself got signed, always spending time with he and her brother. Even though they had drifted apart in the timeframe that she and JC had dated, she knew he was still one of the few people that she had that she could always rely on, always turn to when she needed it. He would never argue, never try and fix things without knowing if the person wanted help fixing it and never made someone feel small.

She leaned into the warmth of his body, his lifting his arm and wrapping it around her shoulders in comfort as she sighed sadly, burying her face into his shirt and inhaling his familiar scent: faint cologne, deodorant and cigarettes. Even though she hated the cigarettes, it was a home-like welcome to her when he hugged her, or held her as he was now.

"J?" She turned her head so that she was looking out in the same direction as him, reaching up and wiping the stray tear that had fallen down her face. When he responded when a slight hum, she swallowed her pride and asked something she never would have if not given the circumstance. "You loved me?"

He shifted, sitting up straight and clearing his throat as he nodded slowly, licking his lips and finally speaking. "Yes. I did."

"When you were eighteen."

"Roughly," he nodded, blinking slowly as she pulled away from him, studying his face, different, but the same to her all at once. "But, as I liked to say, it was only puppy love."

"But you were 24 when -"

He chuckled, dropping his hands to his lap as he looked over at her, "I was in denial, I guess. That, and I tried to make excuses of it all because I had a watchful eye over me because of it."

She smirked, playing with her fingers. "Brian?"

"Rok?! Hell no. Kevin." AJ grinned, hand going to his face and scratching it, fingers against his goatee sounding like sandpaper. "He saw the way I looked at you and I got my masculinity threatened to be cut off if I even made an attempt with it. That, and he swore he'd tell Brian if I tried anything."

"Like either would do anything to you," she said softly, feeling AJ reach over and take her hands, he now playing with her fingers rather than her. "And besides, I decided who I wanted to be with -"

"Not when you were sixteen, you didn't," he laughed. "Especially when it dealt with the baby sister and cousin of two bandmates. As much as you hated Kevin's hawk-like watch over you when you were around, he meant well. And Brian tried to let you do your own thing, but he wanted to protect you more than anything. And they knew me. They knew I was completely opposite of you, knew I liked the alcohol, the sex. They sheltered you from that and that was a good thing."

"Who's to say I don't like sex and alcohol?" She raised an eyebrow, AJ laughing as he patted her hand, still holding onto it. "I'm serious! I'm not Brian, J. I'm not a typical Littrell."

"Brian isn't as good as you think he is, either," AJ smirked, "he just chose to keep that part of his life unknown to most. He knew what happened between you and JC and what didn't between you and any of the other guys you dated, he wasn't stupid. None of us were. God, that killed me. They were all so happy that you were with him and in love and I was just so crazy about it, putting on this happy front on the outside and growing even more jealous by the minute."

"If we," she stopped, biting her lip and looking at him, "if you would have said something, do you think we would have lasted?"

AJ looked at her, taken aback. Licking his lips, he shrugged. "After I scraped the remains of my body off of whatever part of the earth Kevin and Brian mutilated me on, maybe. All I wanted was for you to be happy, and if it were with me, then yeah, I'd do everything in my power to make you the happiest girl alive. I don't know what it was about you, D, but you were my everything back then."

"And now?"

"You're more than that," he smiled, getting up as she looked on, he stretching before walking little ways away, looking out into the city. "It killed me when you got sick. Killed me when I saw just how broken you were when JC left you. You had everything, then suddenly, it all just slowly was pulled out from beneath you and there was nothing I could do to keep it from happening or stopping it in it's tracks. I knew that JC wasn't happy, but I couldn't do anything -"

"Whoa, wait." She got up, brushing off her backside and walking quickly over to him, "you knew?"

He swallowed, slowly nodding. "He said he told you. Said he was having doubts and you told him to take the space and think about it. He said he tried so hard to shake the feelings he had been getting because he loved you, but he couldn't. He loved you, Audrina. He loved you so much that it killed him to be thinking what he was thinking. It killed me to know that. He was my friend, but you were more than that. I guess I just thought it was some weird sort of phase he was going through because most men do get cold feet when they know it's close to the 'we've been together for a long time, it's time to make it permanent' phase. But he ... he bailed and I felt horrible."

Her stare was blank as she stared at him, blinking slow. "I can't believe you," she murmured, "you knew. You knew all along and didn't tell me?!"

"What the hell did you want me to do, Drina? Drag out the process? Let you know and just let the two of you go at it like to bats out of hell and make it more miserable between the two of you?! Like hell I would!"

"Do you not remember what happened today?! We're not exactly Paris and Nicole!"

"Who the hell would want to be them?! Drina, look, I know I should have said something, but damnit, I was thinking about you. I wanted him to say it to you. To not be a coward that I know he's not and say it to you, but he didn't. He couldn't face what he felt. He ran because he couldn't bear to look at you and feel what he felt. He loved you, we all fucking knew it. He probably loves you still! He'd be stupid not to -"

"Right, just like you not telling me that you did?"

"Okay, so I made two mistakes on my part," he snapped, stepping towards her as she walked away, "but I'm not the only one who makes mistakes, Audrina! We're all fucking human! Like you kissing Jake and JC catching you!" He saw the look of disbelief on her face, nodding smartly, "yeah, I know about that! Everyone does! Might wanna watch who you kiss, otherwise he'll go running off to the papers! At least JC had the decency to make sure that you were okay after all this shit happened! At least he still wanted to be a part of your life! Where's Jake, huh? Where's he at now, Audrina?!"

"That has nothing to do with this -"

"You're right. And my knowing has nothing to do with it either because I'm not the only one who knew! So stop playing angry with everyone and just face up to the truth: it's over! It's over, all right?! As much as I wish it wasn't for you, even the little eighteen-year-old part of me, it is! He doesn't want to get into something with you because he knows it'll all be the same all over again! He's not stupid, D! He knows you may say one thing, but he knows you! We all do! His life is not the life you want and we all know that you attempting to make believe in a life that you would have with him if he chose to stop pushing you away! But he's pushing you away for a reason, Audrina; he's pushing you away so you actually find someone who wants to give you that life."

"Like who? You?!"

"Six to twelve years ago, yes!"

Her hands dropped in defeat, shoulders slumping slowly as AJ watched her exterior begin to slowly crumble. Fat tears formed in her eyes, body beginning to shake as he closed the space between them quickly, his arms wrapping around her shoulders, pulling her to him as she sobbed, hands clenching his t-shirt. Hot tears soaked through to his skin, as he placed a gentle kiss to the top of her head, turning so his chin rested on her. "I'm sorry I said that," he said softly as her body shook them both with her sobs, tears forming in his own eyes as he closed them. "I'd do anything for you, D, and you know that. But I can't go and change someone's heart. I can't get him to suddenly feel the same way as you do with relationships. That's just not going to happen; it won't work."

She pulled away from him, arms shaky as she wiped her eyes without making eye contact with him. "Can you just ... can we go home?"

He nodded, stepping away from her and shocked to feel her hand latch onto his tightly, leading her silently back down the trail and back to his car. The entire ride to the hotel was silent, as was the trip in the elevator and to her door. "I'll see you in the morning," he said, unsure of what else to say, "call me if you need anything tonight, okay? I'm only a few doors down." He leaned forward, placing a kiss to her forehead, her fingers holding his shirt gently. "I really am sorry."

She nodded, feeling his body warmth leave her and she soon became frantic, needing that comfort, the familiar warmth. "Alex?"

He turned his head, meeting her sad gaze, "yeah?"

"Will you stay here tonight?" She swallowed hard, seeing his eyes widen. "With me?"

"I don't think it'd be the best thing for -"

"Please?"

He melted with her voice and the face she gave him just like he had years ago, surrendering. "Sure. I just have to go get clothes to sleep in. I'll be back in a minute."

She nodded, turning on her heel slowly and putting the key in front of the activator, waiting for it to unlock the door. Stepping in and being hit in the face with cool air, she sighed deeply and tossed her phone and key to the table by the door, leaving it slightly open so that AJ could get in. She was completely exhausted from her tears, her frustrations of the day. Pulling on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, she walked to her bed that seemed so far away, collapsing onto it and crawling underneath the covers.

Lying on her side, she felt her eyelids grow heavy, unable to fight sleep anymore than she had. So much for waiting up for AJ.



A shift in her bed brought her slowly out of her light sleep, the familiar scent that she had been smelling filtering once more into her nose as a small smile formed on her face. "Took you long enough," she murmured, turning onto her back and looking over at him, he giving her a sheepish smile. "How long have I been asleep?"

"About twenty minutes," he said softly, turning on his side and waiting for her to do the same, arm going over her body in search of her hand, it resting at her belly. "You know, this probably isn't the greatest thing to do," he chuckled. "Someone could walk in and think we're sleeping together."

"We've done this how many times and now you're worried about it," she asked, laughing slightly. "Just be glad I'm letting your blanket hogging self in this bed."

"It's not my fault you kick the covers off and I just-so-happen to take them," he defended, yawning deeply as she squeezed his hand once more. "I am sorry about holding that stuff from you, though ..."

"I don't want to even think about that stuff anymore," she mumbled, "it only makes me weaker. I gotta move on."

"That's my girl," he said softly, burying his face into her shirt and breathing deeply, making a memory of one of the many times they used to lie in bed like that when he came to visit after she got sick, and when they were younger. She just wanted comfort and company, he wanted a reason to be near her. "It'll be hard, but we're all here to help you, D; we're not gonna let you go at it alone."

"I know," she said, fingers tracing his tattoos. After a few moments of silence, he thinking that she had fallen asleep, she spoke again. "Alex?"

He lifted his head from against her back, trying to make out her face in the dark. "Yeah?"

"If JC had never come into the picture, would you still have cared about me?"

"No doubt," he said quickly, eyes still searching for reason behind her question, "why?"

"I don't know, I ..." she stopped, sighing deeply. "I just, I wish I knew what it felt like to be loved again, because I think I've forgotten."

"Everyone that you're around loves you, D," he said softly. "Don't ever question that."

"Do you?"

"Of course I do, I -"

"No, J," she turned back onto her back, still holding his hand as she met his confused gaze, "do you still love me?"

His face was blank as he let the question register, he biting his lip. Her green eyes looked eerie under the light of the moon, almost metallic, hair already bed-worn, face tired. Did he still love her? This was the same girl he had fallen for more than twelve years ago, the same girl he watched fall in love and then get her heart broken while he stood on the sidelines and watched it all happen. The same girl that he shared a bed with when the two of them couldn't sleep or had a bad day; the same girl who he let kiss her just because; just because they meant more to each other than anyone would understand, even when he was half-way on the other side of the world and she was dating someone else (though they never kissed on the lips when they were with someone); the same girl that grew up right in front of him into a woman that he could see breaking his heart unintentionally because hers was still partially belonging to someone who wasn't even sure where his heart lie. This was the woman that he'd take all the pain and burden from just so she'd be happy, just so he'd see that smile that made him smile again. "Yeah, I think I do."

She nodded, turning back on his side as he sighed deeply, lying back onto the pillow, turning his head and staring at the spot between her shoulder blades, eyes burning from the blank stare. He wasn't expecting a response, hell, he wouldn't have had one, either.

But it would have made the moment a little more comfortable.

He closed his eyes, willing sleep to come as she shifted again, she now lying on her side facing him, eyes meeting his slowly opening ones. "Thank you for loving me," she said softly, a tiny smile playing on her face as he nodded, unsure of how to respond. (Somehow, 'you're welcome' didn't seem appropriate). "Though it may not be the best timing, it still makes me feel a little better."

She lie her head on his chest, his arm around her as he sighed deeply. He was pretty sure she could feel his heart beating fast as he relived the nights events. She had a breakdown and he admitted he was in love with her.

Talk about a rollercoaster.

Sighing once more, he closed his eyes, softly singing a song that reminded him so much of her in his head, making a note to let her listen to it the next morning. Maybe it'd make her feel slightly better. Maybe it'd make him feel slightly better about her now knowing he was in love with her.

Sifting through shattered dreams
Living in the inbetween
Baby, babe, it's gonna be all right
And when you're lost, let down
Disappointed and jerked around
In this cold, cold world
I will always be by your side ...

Chapter 15 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:

A major thank you to everyone who is reading and reviewing!  It is greatly appreciated and I'm so glad you like it (regardless of the pairings going on here!). 

"And he told you he loved you, just like that?"

Audrina sat on her bed, cradling her phone between her cheek and shoulder as she spoke to Aundrea, who was waiting to get back onto an airplane to meet her in Dallas. "Yeah, well, no ... he admitted to liking me way back when and attempting to stop when JC and I got together, but he never fully got over me. And, then I kind of asked him if he still did. He said he thought so and that was really the end of it."

"So he doesn't know if he loves you?"

"I think it's more along the lines of he doesn't know if he wants to admit it to me," she said softly, picking at her nail cuticle and sighing deeply. "C'mon, would you want to get into a fucked up relationship with me?"

"So you thought about being with him?!"

Laughing slightly she pulled herself off of the bed and shut the tv off, shimmying out of her lounge pants and into a pair of jeans. "No ... well, yes, I have. He's an amazing guy, Drea; maybe a little troubled, but aren't we all a bit fucked up? I mean, seriously, look at who you're talking to and who I dated. Don't get me started on him."

"Aubrey told me he's not continuing on with the tour."

She frowned. "No, he's not. I mean, I can't blame him. If you would have been a fly on the wall when I flipped ... I don't blame him."

"It was kind of deserved -"

"And a major weight off of my shoulders," she concluded, "but it still wasn't right for me to go off like I did. He knows how I feel. I know how he feels. It's a silent understanding and it should have stayed that way. He won't even look me in the eye. Even worse, is that he won't even stay for more than five seconds in the same room with me. People have started talking about our song and how different it sounds now. And it does. It's almost painful to watch when they play it back for me."

"Sound-wise?"

"Sound-wise, it sounds remarkable," she said, shrugging, "it's ... emotion-wise. We're both torn between each other, Drea. It's a hard thing to deal with and us being on tour together probably ruined what little we had left that kept us getting along. I've probably lost him for good and I don't know whether or not it's a good or bad thing."

"Then, who are you touring with?"

"I'm going it alone," she sighed. "They're going to just pick up random well-known bands from around the area to be my openers in every city so it's going to be even more awkward because I'll be the only person I have with you and Bree going off to tour with Day 26. JC will be here, working on his album and my brother and AJ will be with the Boys on their tour."

"Well, maybe you'll cross paths ..."

"Twice. Management made sure that we'd be able to promote together in Osaka and Melbourne. That's it. They're keeping us busy enough that there is no time between to even fly out to visit for a day. I'm going to have no one. Yet again."

"And we all know how you are alone."

"Preaching to the already knowing congregation, Drea," she said softly, "hold on. I need to change my shirt." She put the phone down, pulling off her own tour shirt that she had used as pajamas, the tank top resting on the hotel dresser being pulled on shortly as she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Though she looked tired, she felt a lot better than she had in the last few days. Most of the reason was because Brian had kept her busy, kept taking her out before soundcheck to movies, to lunch and after shows to see the city and for a late dinner just so the siblings had time together. AJ was still her late-night visitor, always keeping her spirits up when she felt them slipping, and never hesitated to give her a hug when she looked like she needed it. And though she gave Aundrea and Aubrey some credit, it definitely was more the two men who kept her happy than she was able to.

Picking up the phone once more, she greeted her friend. "But I am better. I promise."

"Well, good. I want to be greeted Wednesday morning with a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed Audrina. Not a sad one."

"Well, my brother and AJ are leaving this afternoon. I don't know exactly how happy I'll be."

"Very," she pressed. "Trust me, all right? It's all going to blow over and you're gonna wake up one day with this big smile on your face and love life."

Audrina opened her mouth to speak, stopping for a moment when she felt the familiar chest flutter, knowing she had too much caffeine, it triggering the slight flutter. Breathing deep, she continued, "I hope so."

"You all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," she said softly, "just gotta go take my medicine. Lots of fluttering the last few days."

"Maybe you should call your cardiologist?"

"So he could tell me to continue taking my medications? I already know that, Drea," she laughed. "I'll be fine."

"Promise?"

"Yeah," she said, turning as she heard a light knock on her door. "I'll be fine. I'll see you in Dallas, okay? 36 hours?"

"About that, yeah," Aundrea replied, the smile evident in her voice. "It'll be good to get away again."

"Trouble in DK paradise?"

"Like no other," she mumbled, "but we'll talk about it later. I'll let you go."

"Okay," Audrina said, kicking her shoes out of the way of the door, "I love you, have a safe flight."

"I love you too, girl. See you in a day and a half."

She hung the phone up, opening her door and being greeted by the bright smile of her brother. "Hey, Brian. I thought we were meeting down in your room in an hour?"

He shoved his hands into his pockets, giving her a slight shrug, still smiling. "Well, we were, but I thought I'd come up and keep you company since you've been a hotel hermit this afternoon."

"I'm just being lazy today, it's my day off," she chuckled, opening the door wider as he walked past. "But you know I always love company."

"This, I know," he smiled. "That, and I kind of wanted to talk to you about something."

"Something, good or something, bad?"

He held his hand up, making a so-so hand gesture. "Something, interesting, I think."

"Oh, well, have a seat," she cleared off her clothes that she had been folding, giving up a long while ago. "What's it have to deal with?"

"The latest tabloid," he chuckled, reaching back behind him and pulling out a folded in half magazine from his back jean pocket. Opening it up and handing it to her, he watched as her eyes widened, taking in the very same photo that he had seen when he walked into the lobby earlier that day. "Seems that suddenly, JC isn't part your love story, but our own Alex McLean is."

"And this is what you wanted to talk to me about?"

He nodded. "I mean, c'mon, Drinie, you don't walk around holding everyone's hands, do you?" He stopped. "Well, yeah, you do. But is this really what you want the world to think of now? Was this just a ploy to get the JC stories involving you out of the paper?"

She shook her head. "I honestly didn't even think of any of this when he and I went out. We always held hands, and you knew that." She shook her head, the title in big, bold letters Audrina Littrell's New Love Affair Rocks Backstreet! "I mean, he and I talked about stuff, but it wasn't -"

"He told me everything," Brian said, Audrina looking up at him in shock. "Oh, don't give me that. You knew he would. He's one of my best friends and his best friend's brother. We share a mutual friend, Drina. If he's concerned, he's gonna go to the other. He also told me he confessed to you what he felt so many years ago and that you asked him if he still did."

She bit her lip. "Yeah, I probably shouldn't have asked."

"I don't want my friend being your rebound, Audrina. I don't want your friend being your rebound. He's too good for that. I love J, he's a good guy, but you're my sister and I know you more than you would like me to. You'll fall into him and then one of you is going to be hurt. He said he would never overstep his boundaries because he knows when it's wrong, but I need to know how you feel about this whole thing."

She sat down next to her brother, shrugging. "I don't know, Bri. I really ... I mean, yeah, we didn't have a normal teenaged life, with you gone and me always going in and out of school because I missed you and would rather just go and be with you, so I did; in a way, yeah, I liked him. A lot. He was my brother's friend and I had a thing for him. Off and on for a couple of years. But he was always so far away and so out of reach in that aspect that I settled into being one of his best friends, too. And now, it's all brought upon me, and it's the only refreshing weight I've had on my shoulders in a long time. I feel good about it, though. For once in, well, a while, I'm close to being happy. You're here, he's here and once you guys go, I'll have Aundrea again. I have my support system and I really don't have anything to complain about."

"No, Drine, I don't think you understand where I'm going with this," he reached over, grabbing his sister's hand and catching her complete attention. "How do you feel about the whole thing? About AJ? I mean, I know it's not technically a rebound since it was two years ago, but it is. Do you really want to try to fix things with JC or are you completely done? And what about AJ? Are you going to tell him how you feel about him?"

She licked her lips, pursing them in thought. "I'm done with trying with JC. We've hurt each other too much. That book is closed and locked up. As for AJ, I don't know. I ... I haven't really thought about it other than the fact that when he told me the other night that he thought he still did love me, it made me feel good. It made me smile because I knew he meant it. I didn't have to look at him in the face like I did with JC and wonder where his next lie would be coming. I ... I knew JC loved me, but his motives were all wrong near the end and it just didn't mean what it used to."

"So you care about AJ?"

"Of course I do," she said, looking confused, "he's one of my closest friends and -"

"But do you care about him in the sense of a romantic ... type ... way?"

A pitiful laugh escaped her throat as she looked at her brother, the uneasiness of asking his sister just exactly how she felt for his best friend after only a few days of recouperating from her blow-up at JC slightly disturbing to him. "You want to know if I love him back? If I reciprocate those feelings?"

"Not necessarily love, but feel something towards him; feel that you may want to try and start something with him."

She looked down at the magazine, a photo of she and AJ walking out of the hotel and down the stairs, he holding her hand and leading her towards the valet to wait for his car. Her head was down, but it was unmistakable who the woman was, and his tattoos could be pointed out from a million miles away, curly hair hidden beneath a baseball cap and peaking out from the bottom in the back.

She flipped it open, searching for the article and then skimming through, reading only a few sentences.

"They've always been so close. When JC came into the picture, he stepped aside and let him be the man in her life, but now that the two are on the outs completely, she's turned back to AJ for support and love. The attraction has always been evident when those two are around," a source said, adding, "AJ has been in love with her from the moment Brian introduced her to all of them (with the exception of Kevin, who is Littrell's cousin). They do things a couple would do, only on their terms: frequent pecks on the lips, hand holding, long hugs that Audrina lived for when she was younger."

... Another source adds, "AJ waited for six years for Audrina to come around, and, years after he tried to move on, it seems that she slowly is and welcoming what could be a very interesting, sweet relationship. She's exactly what he needs in his life right now and his support for her is what she needs."

McLean was seen numerous times slipping into Littrell's hotel room late in the night to be there for her as she struggles to get over her heartbreak. "JC was the love of her life and he'll be a very tough act to follow. AJ is willing to take the challenge though, he believes that Audrina is worth it." The only thing holding him back is the feelings of her brother, who is a bandmate of McLean's. "If he had Brian's 'OK', he'd take the step to make Audrina know he wanted to be with her. Not many people know that she wanted to be with him a year before she and JC started dating, and now that JC is gone, she still sees in him what she saw in him then. He's got a troubled past, but you could not ask for a more compassionate, nurturing man than him. He's exactly what she needs to get over JC."

"You know how they say to not believe everything you read?" She asked softly, holding up the magazine as Brian nodded, "well, believe this."

Brian chuckled. "And that means what, exactly?"

"That it's gonna take a while, but maybe. Maybe I want to see what would happen between J and I. There's a lot of things holding me back and I'm not quite sure that the 'love' he has for me is what it used to be, but I know he cares about me. I know he'd do anything for me and that means the world. I just ... I don't have that push. Everyone is right: I do need to get over JC, but it's going to take more than a few days for me to -"

"It's been more than a few days, Drina. It's been two years and some odd months. It has been time to move on for quite some time."

"I know, and I will. I just need ... I need that wave of realization that I'm ready to. It just hasn't hit me yet. I mean, you'd think that Lucy would have been the reason I got over JC, but it only made me more pissed off that he got over me."

"I don't think he'll ever be over you, Audrina." Brian stood up, standing face to face with his sister as he studied her features, smaller, yet so similiar to his own. "Of all his girlfriends, I don't think he knew what love was until you. You lasted the longest, he craved you since day one. And God, that sounds horrible coming from me, but it's true. He never wanted his girlfriends around as much as you. Everyone knew it. Howie even said that. You were what his world revolved around and if you were in a bad mood, so was he. If you were deliriously happy, he was, too. And then, when you got sick, I've never seen someone so worried than he was. He's got a lot of growing up to do, Audrina. If he ever does. Some men aren't the marrying-type, and you can't change that no matter how much you love them and they love you. But sometimes, they change when they realize what they'd gain is so much better than what they'd lose. I prayed he'd come around, but it's been two years. If he hasn't by now, he probably never will."

"I know."

"I just, I don't know if this whole AJ thing would be a good idea for you if you should ever consider it."

She raised an eyebrow. "I've started to, Brian. There really isn't any way for you to stop how I feel."

"But I -"

"Do you not want me happy?"

Brian took a step back, slightly bothered by his sister's question. Why would she even think to ask him that? "Of course I want you to be happy," he said softly, voice barely above a whisper, "there's nothing more that I want in my life right now than to see you happy."

"Then maybe AJ will make me happy."

"It's AJ, Audrina. Are you ready to be a part of that life he has? It's a constant battle with his sobriety and his depression when it kicks in ..."

"I'm not a fucking child anymore, Brian, I'm 29, in case you have forgotten. I'm not exactly your baby sister."

"C'mon, don't swear at me -"

"Then don't talk to me like I can't handle things like that! In case you haven't realized, those pills that sit on my bathroom counter aren't exactly Midol!"

He cringed. "I know. I'm just trying to look out for you. I want what's best for you. I always have."

"Then let me decide what's best for me. I know that you're trying to help, but seriously -" she stopped. "Seriously. Just. Stop."

"All right."

It was quiet between the two of them as he looked towards the wall, she looking at her feet. "Why am I getting into a fight with everyone this week?" She asked softly, shaking her head. "First, I flip on JC ... okay, so that really wasn't an argument, but it involved me yelling; then AJ, now you. I don't fight with you. Ever."

"Things change," Brian chuckled. "We grow up."

"I guess so."

"I wouldn't mind if you dated him," Brian said softly as she turned to look at him, surprised. "I mean, it's my best friend and my sister. It'd be odd, but it'd be nice that the two of them found happiness with each other. If he would make you happy, then you have my blessing. And I know he'd try his damndest to make you happy. He thinks the world of you."

"Yeah." Clearing her throat, she put a hand to her fluttering chest, annoyed with it's appearance once more. "You know, I need to stop getting so worked up because these palpitations don't like it."

Brian took a hesitant step towards her. "You're having one now?"

"Yeah. I get worked up and it brings my stress up, I suppose. I excused it as caffeine, but the stress thing makes more sense. I need to stop being so crazy about this. It's not good for my wanting to keep a normal breathing pattern without having to stop and catch my breath."

"Have you called your -"

"Cardiologist? No. I'm fine. I feel fine. I know what it is, he told me what kind of signals to look for. That is kind of a warning for me to stop being so stressed and to calm down. I need to calm down is the problem. I just need to calm down." She sat, closing her eyes and breathing deeply. Feeling her brother's worried gaze on her, she spoke softly, "don't freak, Brian. It's happened before. Just go get my pills and I'll take them now rather than later."

His footsteps were heard from the foyer and towards the bathroom, door opening and pills shaking against the bottle as he picked them up, wordlessly putting them into her hands once he came back into the master bedroom suite. "You're sure you're okay?"

She opened her eyes, the palpitations done. "Yeah, perfect. Just a little tired, though."

"You don't have to come to the airport with us, Drine; you can go to sleep. Rest?"

"No, nonsense. It's my day off, I'll sleep when I get back. After I hold the celebratory party you're gone," she added, winking as she looked on in shock. "Ah, you know I'm kidding. I'm gonna miss having your nagging ass around."

He pushed her playfully, glancing at his watch. "Why don't we go down and meet Bone? He's probably half-passed out and not even packed yet."

"Sounds fine by me," she said, getting up and following him out the door, grabbing her phone and key on the way. "Hey, Brian?"

He turned to look over his shoulder, looking at her. "Hmm?"

"Thank you. For being a nagging ass."

He chuckled. "Anytime, baby sister; anytime."

 

 

He sat at the desk in his room, laptop open and staring at the pictures that graced the screen in front of him. They were all of Audrina and AJ as they walked the streets after the show two nights before, she holding his hand tightly as they walked from the hotel to the valet. Some were actually from the show, she, Brian and AJ all photographed leaving the back of the arena to the awaiting car, her hand still holding tightly to AJ's, gripping Brian's bicep as they led her through the crowd, bodyguards in front of all three.

Exiting out of the page with an angry sigh, he typed in the familiar URL, her voice welcoming him as he immediately clicked to her main photos. The site hadn't updated the photo gallery much, photos from 2002 still there as his fingers slowly reached up, grazing the screen at a picture of the two of them, a black and white finish with the two of them dressed in typical 50's housewife meets working husband attire. She had deep red lipstick on, hair curled just so with a sailor dress on; he dressed in a suit and tie with his hair slicked back.

It brought a chuckle out of his lips, remembering the day perfectly. He stood straight, one hand adjusting the tie while the other held to the suit jacket, a smirk adorning his face; Audrina stood, leaning into him with one foot popped, merely inches away from his face, close to planting a lipstick-imprinted kiss to his cheek.

He wanted to go back to those days. Back when he was happy, when she was happy ... when they were happy. Back when he thought nothing about four years away, nothing about her being sick, nothing about losing her like he had.

Back when they loved each other desperately.

He hadn't been able to even look at her since her well-deserved blow-up on him that day at soundcheck. After all the racing thoughts went through his head about how much he hated AJ at the moment because he got something out of her that he hadn't in a while (a smile), it made him crack, made him think things he shouldn't have. Made him regret ever falling in love with her. But then, suddenly as she and AJ sang their song together, it telling a story of what could have been between them if he had let it go further than his mind would let him, he fell for her again.

And then she snapped. She broke like he knew she would, but it still came unexpectantly. She went on and on about things he knew were rattling around in her brain for a long while, some things he never thought she would say, some he did.

And then she told him he was dead to her.

Regardless of him already being blown away by her completely going postal, that was what hit him hard in the stomach, knocking every last bit of breath out of him, he struggling to breathe as he watched, speechless (and breathless) as AJ carted her away. She was kicking and screaming the entire time, AJ's voice bellowing in the low tenor her brother's name, her higher soprano screaming to be put down.

And all he could do was gawk at the space that she had once occupied.

Memories flashed back at him then, of the last time the two of them shared a stage as a couple when he brought her out to sing 'Happy Birthday' to her, family picnics in Kentucky with the Littrell's, family reunions in Maryland with his own family. Shortly after she had become sick, though it wasn't meant out of spite, his sister said, 'guess you might wanna get that engagement ring before she gets too sick, right?'

He knew his sister was clueless as to what exactly was wrong with Audrina, but they all knew that the sickness, dealing with the heart especially, could be fatal. That was the nail in the coffin for her. He became way too fidgety, mind going miles a minute. He began questioning everything, playing the blame game. He even blamed her for pressuring him into taking the relationship as far as it had already gone, though, as he knew, it took two to get that far and he was partly to blame.

And then he left.

And now, here he was, nearly 32 and still fighting bachelordom like it was some sort of disease. But it was useless to fight it, since he fought every feeling he had for Audrina every step of the way. So what if he loved her? He didn't deserve her and he knew that. She could get better. Though, better being AJ just drove a knife into his heart. AJ was one who wanted to marry. What if she married him? He'd have to live his life seeing her face grace magazines with he and their children. He'd get cards. Hell, he was AJ's friend, too - that entitled him to Holiday cards. Holiday cards that would consist of photos of their smiling faces, their happy faces with the children she's always wanted, the children he spoke of. The boys she wanted, the little girl he wanted to spoil.

He could give her those little boys. Hell, he'd give her the little girl she said she didn't want, though he knew she did.

He let out a cry of frustration, unable to even understand himself. How the hell had he gotten himself into such a predicament? He loved her. He'd die for her. Now, there was someone moving in on his territory and there was nothing he could do about it because he couldn't even gather the balls to face her. There was someone else who loved her, who would die for her, and he had no doubt that AJ would.

He was so glad the tour ended in two and a half weeks. The distance would be so good to him, be such a welcoming thing. He'd be able to walk without hearing how she was since she was across the world, be able to be photographed without her around with some sort of tabloid rumor involving the two of them yet again. He'd be able to live without the constant reminder of her ticking in his brain. He didn't have to worry about her anymore.

She made that very clear.



"All right, this is where we depart," Brian said, giving his sister a weak smile and dropping his bags down, tucking his ticket into the back pocket of his jeans. "Get over here and give me a hug or I'm not talking to you our entire tour."

She smiled weakly, tears warming up her eyes as she stepped into his opened arms, letting him hug her tightly, she returning it just as tight. "Be good," she mumbled against his shoulder as he laughed, "I'm serious. Don't tease your fans too much like you like to do."

"I should say the same thing for you," he said, placing a kiss to her temple as he pulled away, "behave. Cut JC some slack, all right? He's hurting, too. Just, don't get all soft and welcome a friendship with open arms like you would do."

"I'll try," she said softly, watching as he reached back for his ticket, picking up his bags. "I still need to go get these bags to claim. I'll call you later on tonight when we land, okay?"

She nodded. "Be safe, Brian."

"I will. I'll see you in Osaka. I love you, be careful."

She smiled, swiping at tears as she nodded once more. "I love you, too." Her gaze turned to the man standing beside her, fidgeting in his stance. "What, you think you're just gonna stand there and say nothing and just leave?" She crossed her arms, looking at him teasingly. "Do I not get a hug?"

"Obviously, you do," he said softly, letting his bags drop as he walked over, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and hugging her with every ounce of strength he had, she laughing aganst him. "If you need anything, anything at all, don't hesitate to call me - even if it's 4 in the morning and I'm just dragging my ass into bed. I'll be there as best as I can being so far away, but I will drop everything I have if you need me to. I will drop everything to be there by your side if it gets tough on you. Don't doubt that."

She nodded, burying her face into his shirt and inhaling deeply, his arms running gently up and down her back sweetly. "I know. And thank you. For that, and everything you said the other night. I don't think you understand how much that meant to me. How much you mean to me."

He pulled away, cupping her face and running his thumbs across her tears, ridding of them on her skin. "Probably as much as you mean to me, babygirl," he said softly, eyes studying hers. "Just remember: when you feel as if no one understands you, no one is there for you, I am. When it feels like no one cares, that no one loves you, I do."

She nodded, closing her eyes as he kissed her forehead. "Call me as soon as you can, okay? Tell me about the crazy stewardesses and the mishaps with peanuts."

He laughed. "Yeah, because everyone in my aisle will probably be wearing them when I'm done opening up the wrapper." He caught her gaze as he picked up his suitcases, winking as he slowly stepped away, straining his neck to catch a glimpse of her brother who was little ways down. "Behave, D. I don't want to come back and have to cart your ass away from JC's face or something after clawing his eyes out."

She nodded. "Okay."

"And I meant what I said before, D. Whenever you feel alone, know that someone does love you." He turned, walking slowly away as he handed his bags to a bag check man, turning and giving her one last wink before focusing solely on the people asking him questions.

Her heart pounded. Pounded so heard that she felt it in her ears, in her chest. "To be happy," she murmured, song lyrics immediately popped into her head, "you are all I need to make me happy ..."

She bit her lip. The first step in moving on was realizing it was time to. The second, was finding someone to move on with. The third was to catch him before he got too far away. "J," she called, voice barely croaking out, he stepping through the metal detectors and calling out to Brian with a grin as she walked quickly towards them. "AJ!"

She knew he was ignoring the name. He thought it was some frantic, paranoid fan. He continued walking to where he was almost out of her sight without standing on her tiptopes. She had to get to him, she had to get his attention. "Alexander!"

The black baseball cap that adorned his head that she clung to when he walked away stopped, slowly turning. "Audrina?" He put his bags down, not even worrying about them as he pushed his way through the crowd, going around the metal detectors as his body came into complete line of sight to her. "What's wrong?! Are you okay?"

"Alex," she said softly, eyes searching his, feeling the familiar lump in her throat grow as she got more nervous, he stepping closer to her with every breath she took. "I want to try."

He stopped, mid-step. "What?"

"I want to try this. With you."

"D, where is this coming from?"

She bit her lip, shrugging slightly. "I'm not sure, but I think from here," she said, putting her hand to her heart. "It's just really weary of getting hurt again ..."

He frowned a bit, shaking his head. "You know that'd be the last thing I'd want to do to you and your heart. I just, I didn't know you -"

She stepped into his body, holding onto his shirt with a hand as she stared at the fabric, trying to form words, fingers scraping against the hard skin beneath the skirt. "Well, now you do," she said softly, his hands hesitantly going to her arms and holding them, unsure of what else to do as she dragged her gaze up his chest and to his eyes. The intense gaze he gave her was one of confusion, one of adoration. How she had never caught that gaze was beyond her, perhaps because she was too stupid of a teenaged girl to see it, too stubborn. But she saw it now. She saw it.

She took a slow breath in, standing slightly on her tiptoes to reach his frame, pressing her mouth to his. For a moment, he stood, frozen, unsure of what to make of her actions. But slowly, he responded, one hand pressing in at the small of her back, the other cupping just beneath her chin. His lips were warm and moist from he licking his lips prior, molding to her dry, nervous ones. It sent a jolt down her spine as she pressed into him, holding his shirt firmly.

"Bone!"

He jumped against her lips as Brian's voice called for him to leave, he pulling away from her slowly, eyes still closed as he put his hand to his mouth. "Okay, so that was different," he chuckled, eyes fluttering open as he met Audrina's gaze. "A good different, but shocking, nonetheless." He ran a hand up and down her arm, still somewhat confused. "Let's just ... take this one step at a time, all right? I don't want you to dive into something when you're still nursing open wounds."

She nodded slowly, licking her lips and tasting the peppermint of the lifesaver he had been eating earlier on her lips, bringing a slight smile to her face. "One step at a time."

He nodded. "The first step," he murmured, ignoring Brian's calls for him to come on, eyelids dropping as he placed another kiss to her lips, it light, though lasting, he pulling away, "is being able to get through a tour without seeing you as often as I would like."

She chuckled, feeling the red crawl onto her lips. "We'll ... figure something out."

He nodded, placing a sweet kiss to her cheek. "Until then, I'll see you in Osaka."

She held her hand up, fingers slowly dropping in a wave as he hurriedly picked up his bags, Brian laughing from his spot just beyond the metal detectors, AJ having to get searched once more. Taking a deep breath, she turned on her heel, walking slowly out of the airport, sunglasses that were on top of her head now back on her face, hat over her head.

Once she got into the waiting car, she felt her heart start to beat hard again. She just kissed AJ. She now was involved with AJ McLean.

Oh, this was going to fare over well with the media.

End Notes:
Last update for a day or two.  Gotta work, gah.  I'll probably write a bit after I come home tomorrow and do all my evening rituals (dinner, walking the dog, watching SVU ...) but I can't promise an update until maybe Thursday.  =]
Chapter 16 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Ah, the pivotal point has begun ...

And I totally lied.  Here's an update!  =]

"Hey, Brian, it's nice to see you again, man." His hand stretched out, slapping against the slightly older man's hand, they shaking in a friendly gesture. "Congratulations on Millennium and it's sales. I heard it is amazing."

A thankful smile came from the other man's mouth, he nodding. "You too, man, you too; heard a bit of yours. Liked it."

"Yeah, Joey was actually singing one of your songs the other day," JC chuckled, "it's really catchy. I can understand how it got to be number one for so long."

Brian beamed, both men turning and watching as a girl, petite, about 5'3", maybe an inch or so taller or shorter, approached, a broad smile on her face. "Hey, Rine."

"Kevin sent me looking for you. Said they're waiting for the interview now."

Brian nodded, slightly taken aback and forgetting about the other presence beside him. "JC, this is my baby sister, Audrina. Drine, this is JC Chasez."

He contained the laugh that was boiling in his belly as she thrust her hand out to shake his, sliding his into it. She was beautiful; definitely a Littrell. Her hair had been tied up, pinned and being held back away from her face by a headband, strawberry waves disappearing underneath the band and into the twist. She was small, built a lot like Britney to him, though he was sure Britney had a little more tone than her (at least, at the moment) and dressed in a lilac gown. "It's nice to meet you," he said, feeling his stomach lurch with nervousness at her touch and gaze. This was different. "What brings you to the Grammy's?"

"I'm Nick's date," she chuckled, glancing back at the blond who was now speaking to Howie, they both fidgeting nervously. "That, and supporting my brother, of course."

He nodded. "Yes, definitely."

"We better go," Brian said, putting his hand to his sister's back to lead her away, "it was good to see you again, JC."

"You too, Brian. And it was nice to meet you, Audrina!"

"You too, JC," she smiled, turning her head and locking a gaze with him that made his heart skip several beats. When she turned her head back to face the others, he turned, looking at Justin who had an amused look on his face.

"What?" He felt his face redden, though he acted innocent, trying to scratch at his cheeks to hide the sudden change in color."

"What? Man, you got the hots for a Backstreet sister!"

"I do not," he mumbled, Justin clapping him on the back as they walked in the opposite direction, he turning to glance back, smiling when he saw her looking his way. "Okay, so maybe I do ..."

"I knew you would. You aren't the first guy to fall for the Littrell."

"Huh?" He stopped, looking at Justin in curiosity. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Dude, she doesn't date. Brian's got a watch on every guy who's ever approached her."

He shook his head. "Nuh-uh, not me, man. I'll get the girl. Watch me."

Justin shook his head in disbelief. "All right, dude. Whatever you say."

"Watch me, Justin. Bet me."

"You and those bets. I'm not betting you just because you think you can get an untouchable."

"I can get her."

Justin grinned, patting him on the back once more. "You just keep telling yourself that."

"I will."


He awoke in a daze, the familiarity of home comforting him as he lie back down in his bed, staring up at the ceiling. It had been a rough few hours for him, especially after he made quick trip to the store and found a photo of Audrina and AJ gracing the front page of Us Weekly with the title calling out, Their NEW Romance! How it started! Behind their friendship! PLUS! How he helped her get over ex-lover JC Chasez! It taunted him. Taunted him so much that he bought it, intending to burn it. Burn it and perhaps put voodoo on any reporter who decided to try and make it harder on him than it already was.

But did he burn it? No. It was sitting in his lap when he fell asleep and was now nestled between his hand and blanket. Even in the moonlight, he could see the photo of AJ and Audrina, dated around the time she was in Osaka, her hands resting on his chest as he kissed her, she smiling against his lips and looking up at him.

From his understanding, they had been together for about two months at that time. It was fast approaching August, fast approaching his 32nd birthday, one day he was dreading, as usual and closing in on when she'd bring out a full-fledged tour for the entire world instead of gallavanting across Europe for press, radio interviews and small concerts here and there. Though, he knew, those were the most tiring, the most demanding. She was by herself most of the time, for the shows she actually performed, she went it alone or had an unsigned band opening for her, though he was supposed to be going with her.

He was also supposed to be co-lining the world tour with her.

When he told Johnny and the rest of their management that he was withdrawing from the upcoming tour, it would have been a lie to say that they were understanding. For weeks, Johnny threatened to do things, management threatened to back out of his new album's deal, leaving him to release it on his own expenses, but, after a long argument with Johnny a day or two before Audrina's blow-up, they caved. They agreed he should be working on his album and not helping promote something that wasn't his.

And then Audrina began dating AJ.

It almost made him want to take back what he said and go on tour. Almost.

He was jealous. Desperately jealous. But he knew that he couldn't hold her back from happiness because he wasn't it. At least, that's what he kept telling himself as he lie back down in bed, closing his eyes and letting sleep take over once more. Things had to get better. They just had to.


She let out a girly giggle as his hands led her behind the bus, grinning wildly as he pushed her against the side, letting his hands rest on either side of her head. "I can't believe you," she laughed once more as the grin stayed on her face, glued on as she studied his face, the greens of her eyes lighter than he remembered them being. "I can't believe you asked him for permission to date me!"

Shrugging as a menacing smile formed on his lips, he dipped his head, placing a warm and gentle kiss to her lips. "God knows I had to get through the brother to get to the good stuff."

"Good stuff, huh? Is that what I am?"

"Good stuff, hot stuff, full of stuff ..."

She rolled her eyes, the smile still there as the greens of her eyes deepened, reaching forward and bunching his shirt in her hands. "Well, I am not a pansy and I don't ask permission." She pulled him closer to her body, pressing her mouth against his as he laughed, letting his hands drop from the side of the bus and onto her face. She stood on tiptoe as she wrapped her arms around his neck, unable to get close enough to him as she melted against him, he pulling away and looking at her. "What?"

"Justin said I'd never get you," he said, "damnit, I wish he had agreed on betting me that I could ..."

"You bet on me?"

"Only if I could actually get you to date me."

"Whoa," she laughed, stepping away from him as her eyes twinkled, "who said I was dating you? I thought we were just making out?"

"Ha, ha," he mumbled, smiling slightly as she gave him a matching smirk, stepping away from him as he grabbed her hand, tugging her to his chest once more as she cried out, laughing when he buried his face against her neck. "It took me three months to get you, I'm not going to give you up that easily."

"You better not, Chasez," she said softly, voice murmuring against his skin and vibrating the sensitive spot below his ear, "because I'm worth chasing after. I'm a keeper."

"Or so your mom says."

"Yeah, ha, ha," she laughed, playfully gnawing at his skin as he squirmed. "You're just lucky it's nearing one in the morning and no one knows we're out here."

"Why? Curfew?"

"No. Overprotective brother who would basically behead you and then hang the remains as a wall decorative."

He grinned. "Point taken. A few more minutes?"

"I don't think a few minutes is going to suffice kissing you."

"I am a damn good kisser, aren't I?"

She rolled her eyes. "Maybe I should get Brian to reconsider ..."

"Oh, hell no," he laughed, jogging to catch up to her retreating form, grabbing her by the waist and tickling her, free hand sliding down to hers and lacing his fingers in the empty spaces of hers. "Reconsider and I'll spend another three months trying to get you to re, reconsider."

"Yeah, I'm worth that much."

"More than that," he grinned against her skin, standing behind her and rocking back and forth as her hands wrapped around her body, touching his skin gently. "Much more."

"Then promise me you won't give up easily on me if I run scared."

He nodded against her cheek. "I promise."

"Good."


This time, his waking up was sudden, breathing shallowly. He pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes, willing the tears to go away as he shifted, the magazine crinkling against his side from his moving in his sleep. Opening his eyes quickly, heart racing and blood boiling, he reached between he and the mattress, yanking the magazine from beneath him and yelling in rage, hands going to either side of the magazine and tearing it in half, throwing it across the room as it crashed against the wall in a hollow thunk.

He promised to never give up on her. He promised he would stay by her side through it all. And yet, here he was, alone and not even on speaking terms with her. She had someone else standing beside her, holding her hand and making sure she was okay.

And it hurt. That was his job. He was supposed to make sure she was okay, that she would never hurt. But he betrayed that; he betrayed her. He stopped caring about love, stopped making sure she wasn't hurt when he walked out that door and ran out on her. He lost every right to be angry when he left her.

But had he lost his love?

It was a definite no. God, no. He knew it, she knew it, and he knew the rest of the world did, too. One day, maybe he'd prove it to her. One day, he'd prove that he was the only one for her. That no one else in this world was meant for her like he was. That no one in this world deserved her. That he did, regardless of his past mistakes. He'd spend his life making it up to her if he could.

If she would let him.

But she was happy. She finally began dating someone who treated her right. She finally had someone who wasn't afraid of what the future could bring for the two of them. This someone had been one of her closest friends and her brother's best friend.

He didn't want to suddenly show up and make her unhappy again; that'd be the last thing he'd want to do to her. One day, when the timing was right, he'd prove it to her. He'd prove that he'd be there through everything; that he'd be the only person she'd want to see the rest of her life. That he did love her and he did want a family. That she was the reason.

Timing was everything.



She sat in the waiting room of the doctor's office, eyes settled on the American magazine in front of her. She had begun having pains in her stomach, and Johnny refused to chance anything, sending her to the doctor for a check-up. She thought he was being slightly overprotective, jumping then she stubbed a toe, he felt he was being cautious.

"Anything could be dangerous for you, Audrina. You know it." He had said.

She hated that. She wasn't fragile, she wouldn't break over an upset stomach.

Their NEW Romance! How it started! Behind their friendship! PLUS! How he helped her get over ex-lover JC Chasez!

The *NEW* hot couple of Hollywood, Audrina Littrell and AJ McLean have made their rounds into every fan's heart, their story one that most can relate to: Boy meets girl, boy gains friend; watches girl get hurt by another man and becomes all that the girl had been looking for, never looking right under her nose.

"That's really how it started," a source claims. "He stepped back when JC came into the picture because he knew that though they were friends, JC offered her something that AJ couldn't: something different. She had been around him for so long that things seemed to just be repetitive. She was young, she wanted excitement, change. JC had that. He was the older man who had more experience but so much love for her that she was blinding by the failing future that they all knew would come. AJ had stepped aside and let her do what she needed to do, but when the time came, he was there when she needed him most."

Several stories have circulated that McLean actually admitted his being in love with Littrell on the night of the last blow-up between she and Chasez. "Basically, he just told her he had been in love with her from the start but tried to get over her when she got with JC. It worked for a while, but after they broke up, he realized that she was the reason why he couldn't keep relationships: he wanted her, no one else."

McLean and Littrell have known each other since Littrell was only about thirteen and he was fifteen. From the start, she was always intrigued by the one who liked to bend and more or less break the rules, the one who wasn't afraid of anything. She was quiet, only resorting to making herself heard when she sang. When she was signed to JIVE, he wasn't surprised at all. he loves her voice, he loves her. She's been the one solid thing in his life for a long, long time. It's refreshing to see him with someone who actually has a good head on her shoulders."

Both singers have been in Europe promoting their music apart from each other, only able to see each other at small timeframes. It's a test, especially since the relationship is new, but they'll make it. They're both fighting for this. She wanted to be happy for so long, and he's been making her happy. He refuses to let her go after fighting to have her for so long. "She refuses to even think of her past relationship," a source added. "Her first and last serious relationship ended with her face first in the dirt and she refuses to dwell on it and think it will happen again. She's put all her faith in AJ's hands. She trusts him with it."

"Littrell?"

She got up, sighing deeply. She hated doctors. She hated going to the doctors, especially alone. The last time she went, it was for a check-up a few weeks after her hospital visit. Now, she was going for an upset stomach.

She really hated Johnny.

She was handed a paper gown, standing dumbfounded in the middle of the examination room. A check-up, not a physical was in order. A few questions, a few presses to the stomach would be just fine. Not, "strip down and put the open ends to the back so the doctor has better access".

She sat down then, tugging on the paper gown on her body and pulling out her phone from her purse, smiling as she saw a text message from AJ.

Hey beautiful.
How are you feeling today?
Stomach feeling any better?
Hope you're going to the doctor's
to get it checked out. May be the
flu?
I miss you.

She jutted out her lip, memories of getting messages from JC similar going through her mind as she sighed deeply, responding.

Heya handsome :)
I'm feeling all right, tummy still
hurts a bit, but it's better than before.
Johnny was still a bitch about it and sent
me to some clinic in the middle of
... well, East of Bumfuck.
So, here I am ... sitting in East of Bumfuck
waiting on a doctor to tell me that it's just
something I ate here that didn't agree with
me. Repeat of last time I was here. Won't
be surprised.
I miss you, too. When do we see each
other again?

She didn't know what was wrong with her. She had a nagging feeling that had been floating above her head for the last few days that kept telling her to at least acknowledge JC again, to apologize and let him know she still worried and cared for him. Johnny had told her that he was pretty much to himself since the tour ended and had only written with writers a few times and had gone in once to record, it being the worst production time that he had ever witnessed.

She was worried about him.

But, she was moving on. She was happy. AJ treated her well, always made her smile. Of course, they were two completely different men so it was two completely different means of happy, but she was happy. He made her feel loved, wanted. He never hesitated to call to say he was thinking about her, never thought twice about making sure she knew he cared about her.

And then, JC. The more quiet one unless they were alone. A simple brush to her cheek, a simple look always told her how he felt. He didn't like to make his feelings out in public, would have rather done something of the extreme in private so that all the focus was just on the two of them. He told her he had loved her daily and every night before they went to sleep.

AJ was similar in the beliefs that not everyone had to see how they felt about each other in the sickening way that a lot of people did. They held hands, they'd kiss, but it wasn't anything to turn heads. Most times, when their photos graced the cover of a tabloid, it was in the midst of a peck on the lips, much like the cover that was on the magazine she had been reading in the waiting room, where he was in the middle of teasing her, kissing her to silence her giggles; or a photo of her body tucked into his as he held her. Nothing racy ever had made the press with the two of them. It never would.

Well, that's good that you feel better,
but I'm with Johnny on this one. Just
a precaution to make sure it isn't something
more serious. E. of Bumfuck, huh? Sounds
like a kinky place. Tell me the doctor's last
name is Wang and I'll forever be in your debt.
It's been a long day and all I want to do is crawl
in bed and hear your voice.
Two weeks. Melbourne in two weeks and then the
Boys' and I have got about six more concerts before
I can meet up with you and we can be together.
Finally.
Call me later when the doctor tells you what's up, all
right? I have to go to a radio interview.
Love you, babe.

She jumped when the door opened, eyes immediately going to the doctor's nametag: Fu. Damnit. "... Hi."

"Hello, Audrina," he said as he pulled up a stool, looking down at the folder in his hands. "What seems to be wrong today?"

He asked it as if she were some hypochondriac and all she did was spend the entire day, every day, in the doctor's office. "I've been having stomach pains. Sharp ones that my manager thought I should have checked out."

"Well, it could just be a stomach virus of some sort," he said as she nodded, agreeing. "Chart here says you were here last time for the same thing and that it ended up being the food just not agreeing with you?"

"That's what I told Johnny what it was, but he doesn't listen."

"There are good reasons for that," he smiled. "Let's listen to your heart and check out your stomach, see if I can find anything."

She nodded, laying back as he stood, putting the stethescope buds into his ears as he stepped forward, blowing gently on the scope itself to warm it slightly, placing it to her chest and listening intently. She breathed slowly, the doctor instructing her to breathe in and out deeply. She saw the look of concern wash over his eyes, stomach dropping just as quick as his face changed expression again, focusing on her belly, pressing gently and then slightly harder, she cringing at it. "Dr. Fu -"

"It is definitely a disagreement with our food," he chuckled, writing on his clipboard. "I'm going to go get a prescription written for you and I'll be back, all right?"

She nodded. "Is my heart rate okay? Everything with my heart?"

He shut the door before she could get an answer. That could never be good.

The doctor's last name was Fu. Not even close to Wang.
Sad. :( Quick check up, he told me it was what I was eating.
You guys need to learn to trust me and my knowledge of
my body. I know it better than anyone.

She was growing antsy. For a check-up that lasted a little more than five minutes, he had already been gone double that by the time she had finished a game of Tetris on her phone and checked her personal e-mail. AJ messaged her again, she chuckling when he responded back.

Well, Fu is close to a swear word that could deal with Wang.
And yes, I'm aware I've got a dirty mind, Miss Thang.
I'm glad you're all right. He say your heart was okay?
Rate, pumping and everything? I know he can hear the
swishing with that stetho-thing.

He seriously was still not there.

You are dirty. But, I guess that's more the reason to find
a laugh with you. He didn't say anything about my heart,
so I'm assuming it's all right. And it's 'stethoscope'.
I wish I didn't know it's name, but it's all too familiar to me.
Turn into Father Time and make the two weeks go fast and I
can have your glorious company with me again.

The room was cold as she decided to get up, changing out of the paper gown and discarding it, quickly pulling on her bra and t-shirt, standing up and studying the picture of the development of the fetus, jumping once more as the door opened.

"You changed?"

She nodded, pointing back to where he had left, "I thought we were done so I assumed -"

"It's okay, but I would like to listen to your heart again, Miss Littrell."

She felt her heart race, now noticing the man standing behind him. This couldn't be good.

"But I -"

"Please."

It was more of a demand than a question, she turning to sit back down on the examination table and pulling her shirt back off, not even caring about her modesty at the moment. She was beginning to get scared, sitting alone in a doctor's office with 'her' doctor and suddenly, another one came in.

Dr. Fu stepped up to her, pressing the cold stethoscope to her skin as she jumped with the temperature, he apologizing quietly and saying something in Japanese as the man stepped up with his own scope. "This is Dr. Yuang. He's a resident in the cardiology department at our hospital."

Oh, this wasn't good at all.

He stood, eye-level with her breast as he listened, making slight "hmm" sounds as he turned his head once and nodded. His attention went back to her, speaking in Japanese as Dr. Fu instructed her to inhale and exhale slowly, Dr. Yuang pulling away at the end of her exhale and speaking once more to his collegue. Within moments, he was gone and Dr. Fu was left, standing there with a concerned look on his face.

"What's going on," she asked softly, pulling her shirt on and eyeing him, phone vibrating next to her. "Why did he come in? Why is there a cardiologist checking on me?"

"It seems that there is more swishing in there than I would like," he said, "and I called upon him to see if my assumptions are right. Have you been having a lot of palpitations lately? A lot of shortness of breath?"

"I was, but it seemed to have gone away." She was still confused. "... Dr. Fu -"

"I need you to go down to the Cardiology department at the hospital and get another ECHO, Audrina. This could be very dangerous. I have reason to believe that you have a Ventricular Septal Defect, which is -"

"I know what it is," she said softly, "my brother Brian has it."

"Then you know how important it is to get this checked."

"But they said mine wasn't as serious."

"We won't know until we get an ECHO," he said, tapping his pen to the paper. "Please, as soon as you can get down there, I recommend as soon as you leave here, go. I will call and let them know to look for you today or in the days to come. This needs to be checked. Can you be there today?"

She slid off the table, hands shaking as she gripped her phone, nodding. "I'll - I'll go as soon as I leave."

"Good." He followed her out as she got into the car, closing the door and looking at the driver, he waiting for instruction. "Down the street to the hospital." When he looked at her with confusion, she added, "they want me to pick up my files that were faxed just so I have them if I should ever need to come back."

He nodded, she reaching forward and pushing the button for the privacy window, swiping at tears as it slid shut. It was more serious than she had originally thought. She knew it was. She had been slightly misdiagnosed and now, now, it may lead to her getting the same exact surgery that Brian had.

Like hell she'd let them cut her open.

She looked down at her phone, trying to keep more tears at bay as she struggled to read what AJ had wrote.

I wish I could be, because I want to be there
with you, too. But, as long as I know you're
okay, I can live with a few more days without
seeing you, because I don't have to be anxious
and worry about you, like I usually do. So you're
in the clear? Nothing wrong? You and I will meet
up and you'll be all healthy enough for me to ravage?

She couldn't help but smile weakly at his last remark, shaking her head. Only he would write something like that to bring the smile to her face. Or, at that moment, a partial one.

Argh, why couldn't you be magical or something?
Turn all Abracadabra and fast forward time or
turn all Charmed on me and find the person in
charge of time. It'd be really nice to have you here
with me. And no, nothing wrong. Perfect bill of health.
Other than the already known. Regardless of health, I'd
let you ravage me. But don't be saying that outloud, it might
ruin my good girl image ... hehe, just kidding. And stop worrying.
I'm fine. As fine as I'll ever be.

Turning the phone off, she set it next to herself and put her face in her hands, masking the sob that escaped her throat. She couldn't let him know that something could be seriously wrong; she couldn't let Brian know, either. She couldn't let them worry, she wouldn't. They had too much on their plates as it was, no need to make it more crowded with her own problems. She had to keep it to herself. Make sure that they never found out. If she kept it from them, it was less harm, less worry. She would be able to move on from this without being hovered on. She'd be able to move on without worrying about it.

Once the car slowed to a stop, she gathered herself, pushing the button to open the window. "I shouldn't be too long, Jax. Go out to lunch or something. I'll call the car phone when I'm finished."

"Sure," he nodded. "You'll be all right here by yourself?"

"I'm in the middle of a hospital," she chuckled, giving him an uneasy smile. "I'll be fine. I'll call if I'm not."

The phone is ringing, it's Audrina. She's not fine.

She shook her head of the thoughts, getting out of the car and closing it, stepping into the main doors and looking for the Cardiac Unit, closing her eyes and inhaling slowly. She had lied to AJ. But it was the right thing. She'd be fine and she wouldn't have to worry about the lie because then, it wouldn't be a lie. Then, it'd be the truth and she could just go on with her Stenosis and not have to worry about holes, heart attacks or heart failure. She'd take the palpitations over those any day.

But deep down, she knew she wouldn't be so lucky. Deep down, all she wanted, was her brother to be there, holding her hand.

But she wasn't going to tell him. She wasn't going to worry him more than he already was about her health. This was her fight, and she'd fight it all by herself for as long as she could without them finding out. She prayed she'd be able to, prayed she'd be able to withstand all the punches that she knew it would throw at her; prayed that it wouldn't knock her out before they knew.

Prayed she would never have to tell.
End Notes:
I also have to make a note of this: even with my reading upon a lot of the things being mentioned in here, not all of it is correct.  I'm not a doctor, not a specialist.  My point in this is to bring attention to a big problem but give it a story all it's own.  This isn't a story focused solely on heart disease, it's about family and how it affects it, and those involved.  As you can see.  A love story =]  So, yes, a lot of the heart problems are probably wrong, because I do not know of them personally.  WebMd has been my friend, but very much an enemy at the same time because it doesn't want to open in my IE where I write.  So ... I kind of had to wing a lot of this.  Don't shoot =]
Chapter 17 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Early update!!
It had been two weeks. Two weeks since her doctor's visit and the sudden trip to the Cardiologist. After numerous tests and a very long echocardiogram, the results proved to be just what the doctor had suspected. There, nestled inbetween the septum right by her ventricles, was a hole about the size of a pinhead. To the normal eye, it would seem very small, but to a doctor, the specialist and to Audrina, it was large. Large enough that it prompted them to start her on treatments and push for surgery.

She shuddered at the thought. Surgery. When the doctor's asked her to sit down with management and take some time off for the operation itself and recouperating time, she laughed at them. Like she'd push away the only source of sanity that kept her from thinking about her problem, from just driving off a cliff to stop any further problems from happening. They fought with her tooth and nail, told her they'd give her two weeks to tell management, tell her family. Two weeks for it to settle into her mind so that she knew what was going on and how serious it was.

Two weeks, and she had yet to do any of it.

The only thing she was worrying about was the dark-haired, dark-eyed man that was fast approaching her in the photography studio that they were all meeting up in to do a promo shoot between brother and sister, then with Boys and Audrina. She couldn't worry about anything else. Telling him, telling Brian would kill them. Telling them that she was now facing something that could be deadly would just shatter their own hearts and she knew that they wouldn't be able to contain themselves. Especially Brian, who would be thrust back into both 1998 and 2004 when he faced his deadly demon. She didn't want to bring him back into his nightmare that he finally got through. She didn't want to thrust AJ into being a witness of it all over again.

This was her demon, her own choice to face it as she wished.

Ignoring the ringing of her phone that had been ringing nonstop, she hit the silent button just as his body crushed against hers, hugging tightly. She laughed, hugging back tightly. "I missed you, too, babe," she murmured, mouth against his shoulder as he continued to hold her. "But I kind of miss my breathing right now ..."

Laughing, AJ pulled away, letting her get the oxygen in that he had pushed out of her in his hug. "Sorry, I just missed seeing your face." He put his hands to her cheeks, kissing her mouth sweetly. "Probably shouldn't get too much PDA, your brother might kill me."

She laughed, reaching up and kissing him again, wrapping her arms around his neck and sighing deeply. "He'd have to get through me first," she mumbled, eyes shooting open as she heard his voice filter through the air, pulling away and locking eyes with her big brother.

"Hey, Rinie," he grinned, dropping his messenger bag down on the floor and extending his arms, waiting for her to step into them for a hug. "I missed you!"

She stepped towards him, heart pounding as mental images shot through her mind, voices rattled in her brain as if they were happening at that very moment.

"He's awake. He's asking for you."

She looked up from her spot on the floor by his hospital room door, extending her arm for their brother Harold to help her up. "Is he, is he going to be okay?"

"Yeah, they think so. His heartbeat is a little irregular, but it may just because he's drowsy and the medication is still very much keeping his breathing off."

She nodded, getting up and brushing her backside off. "How're mom and dad?"

"It's hard for them to look at him right now," he said softly, "they almost lost him again. First at five and now at 23? Hard for parents to understand. But it's hard to understand as a sibling, too. You were barely a toddler when he first got sick."

She nodded. "I'm going in," she said, putting a comforting hand on his arm before entering, having to bite back the gasp that would have escaped her mouth as she took the first look at him since he had been wheeled in from surgery. The oxygen mask took over most of his face, skin pale, nearly transparent, eyes clouded over from medication. "Brian?"

"Hey, babysister," he greeted, forcing a smile beneath the mask and lifting his arms weakly in need of a hug from her, waiting as she crossed the room and fought tears. "Hey, now. I'm fine. No crying."

"But you -"

"I know, but I didn't," he said weakly, fingers curving for her to come closer. "But I do
need a hug."

Sitting down on the edge of the bed, she leaned forward, careful not to press against his chest as he wrapped his arms around her neck weakly, grasp barely there as she sobbed against his shoulder. "I thought we were going to lose you."

"Nonsense," he murmured, kissing her temple as they pulled away, "I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere. I won't be for a long time."

"How did you know," she asked, searching his face, it calm and peaceful, "how did you know you'd make it? They said they had so much trouble when they went in and -"

"I prayed. I asked God that if he took me to take me peacefully. And then he bought me Leighanne and I knew he wouldn't send someone in my life only to take me away from it shortly after. That's when I knew."

"Rinie, you okay?"

She startled, eyes popping over in her brother's direction as she stood there, frozen. When she looked at him, she saw the ghostly pale complexion, saw his sunken in cheekbones, saw the mask that hid his entire face from the world. No, she wasn't okay, that's what was going to happen to her; no, she wasn't okay!

She licked her lips, forcing a smile. "Yeah, I'm okay. Just missed you, is all."

"Well, then, come give me a hug before I tackle you to the ground or something!"

She laughed slightly, it escaping her mouth like the wind had knocked out of her. He stepped to her first, arms wrapping around her shoulders as she leaned into him, arms circling his waist. How was she going to keep this from him? How was she going to keep a straight face when every time she looked at him, all she saw was her in the near future?

"Jesus, Audrina, you're shaking," Brian said, slightly taken aback. "What's going on? Are you okay? Something happen?"

She shook her head, holding tight to her brother as he tried to pull away. "I'm fine. I just, I had a few bad days."

He gave up trying to pull away, placing a hand to the top of her head and looking at AJ, who stood there, just as confused as he was. "O-okay," he said softly, head dropping onto hers gently as she continued to shake, fighting back tears. He was helpless.

"Hey, Drina!"

She pulled away then, taking a deep breath and smiling widely as Nick and Howie entered the room, being swooped up into a hug by Nick, his body towering over most everyone in the room. "Hey, Nicky Gene," she greeted, he setting her back down on her feet as she turned to Howie, he waiting to hug her next. "Howard," she grinned, he shaking his head in disbelief as he hugged her tightly. "You guys behaving? Hope you're not reeking too much havoc without Kevin being around."

"Well, we aren't, but bachelor butthead over here is," Howie grinned as Nick stood, shocked. "Oh, don't play the dumb card, Carter," he laughed, "we all know you like macking up on those girls at clubs."

"Manwhore," Audrina grinned, feeling AJ's presence slide up beside her and slip her hand into his, a gentle squeeze following. He pulled her against his side, placing a kiss to her forehead. "But, how is the tour going? Tired yet?"

"Exhausted," Howie mumbled. "Leigh came out for a little, so it was nice to be able to see my wife again."

"Wife," Brian laughed, shaking his head, "it's so weird hearing you say that. We never thought you'd marry her, just tug her along for the ride until you were 80."

"Yeah, funny," Howie said, rolling his eyes. "I do want children."

"That's what they all say," Nick laughed. "I'm good with not marrying."

"You'd be a perfect match for JC then," Audrina cracked, they all looking at her in disbelief. "Oh, come on! You can crack the jokes but I can't?! Seriously?!"

"No, it's just weird ..." Nick said, still looking at her incredulously. "But I laugh anyway."

"You laugh when someone stubs their toe," AJ replied, Brian chuckling from beside her. "Let's get this shoot done and over with so we can go to dinner. I'm starving!"

"Rok, you always are," Nick laughed as he followed both Brian and Howie through the doors, their laughter echoing through the corridors.

Audrina turned to walk, a gentle tug on her hand stopping her. Turning, she met AJ's concerned gaze. "What? What's the matter?"

His hand reached up, cupping her cheek gently, gently caressing her skin as she leaned into his palm, eyes fluttering shut. "Why is it that I can't seem to believe you when you say you're okay," he asked softly, her eyes opening to look at him in shock, "why do I think there's something you won't tell me?"

She was the world's worst liar. Pulling off anything other than the truth, especially at that moment, would grant her a prize of some sort. "I'm just tired, J. Tired, homesick, I don't get to see you ... doesn't really put you in the greatest of moods."

"Okay," he said softly, leaning into and pressing his lips to hers, it a long, lingering one. "Okay. I believe you."

She closed her eyes, leaning her forehead to his and bringing her hand up to cup the back of his head, fingers weaving in the slight curls that had been growing out. How had she pulled that off? His forehead moved upward, her head moving along as he placed a kiss to the bridge of her nose and to her own forehead. "I'm okay now. I'm okay."

"Promise me that if something is wrong, you'll tell me," he said softly, mouth moving against her skin at her forehead, "promise me that if something happens and you have to go to the doctor, you'll tell me. I want to be there for you. I don't want you to go through it alone."

She nodded, hand coming up and pressing against his chest, feeling his heart beat pretty quickly beneath the shirt. "I know you wouldn't," she said softly. "But believe me when I say I'm fine. The doctor gave me some medicine to ease the stomach pain and I'm fine now. It's just their food. I get sick every time. That's all that was wrong."

"All right. Well, let's go get those photos taken, shall we?" He pulled away, giving her a broad smile and reaching for her hand, tugging her to follow him through the doors. "I'm ready to eat, too."

She smiled slightly, it falling from her face completely as she watched the back of his head as they walked. She wasn't okay. Not only had she lied to him, but she had lied to her brother. She lied that she wasn't sick and she lied when she felt fine. Since she found out, she felt as if she were going to collapse in fright, die of how scared she was.

"I'm not all right," she said softly, low enough that she knew he wouldn't hear, "I'm scared to death."



"There's something wrong with Audrina."

He felt his heart leap in his throat as he stood face to face with Aundrea, eyes widening. "What do you mean there's something wrong? Is she okay? Did she get into an accident?!"

"I don't know what is wrong," she said, stepping into JC's home as he opened the door wider, welcoming her in. "I mean, she doesn't call me anymore. Everytime I call her, she either doesn't answer or makes an excuse two minutes into it about how she's busy and has to go and will call me back. She never calls me back. I'm beginning to think that I'm friends with her voicemail and not her."

"Well, maybe that's just it: that she's busy," he shrugged, sitting down on his couch and picking up his pen, writing where he had left off. "That does happen; especially overseas. A lot more popculture resides over there. People thrive on it more."

"This isn't her, JC." Aundrea sat down next to him, reading over the words he was writing. "She doesn't just ignore people she cares about."

"I wouldn't know," he murmured, eyes never leaving the paper. "I wouldn't know who she cared about anymore, being that I'm not on that list."

"Oh, that's bullshit and you know it," Aundrea said, rolling her eyes. "You were one of her best friends, JC. She still cares about you, regardless of who she's with now and what went on between the two of you. Who was there through it all? You. Who was there when she got sick? You. When Brian got sick? You again."

"Things change."

"Feelings don't. Not unless someone wants them to. And I know she doesn't want to lose you, JC." She smirked, reading the words once more. "It doesn't seem like you want to, either."

Everybody knows
That I was such a fool
To ever let go of you
But, baby, I was wrong

Yeah, I know I said
We'd be better off alone
It was time that we moved on
I know I broke your heart
I didn't mean to break your heart

He pulled the paper away from her line of sight, folding it up and putting it in his pocket. "You have no idea what I feel."

"I don't?" She laughed, standing up and looking down at him, feeling powerful from where she stood. "You love her. You're mad as hell that he's got something you've wanted for the last eight years and had for six. You're jealous. Pissed that he may get the one thing you've decided you actually do want because you were too afraid to face it. You're angry at yourself for not telling her sooner how much you love her. Pissed that AJ finally said how he felt and it wasn't you she ran to at that airport and kissed. You're pissed that he's getting her all to himself after all this time and you're left with nothing but memories. Pissed that you couldn't gather the courage that day in her dressing room and let it all out. You're pissed that she's finally happy and you're not. Am I close?"

"Not even," he murmured, feeling his heart race. Had he been that evident? Was it written all over his face?

"Right, Chasez. Look, I didn't come here to throw this all in your face. I know that you're the one she'll talk to. I know she'll open up to you. There is something wrong and she's not telling anyone. Both AJ and Brian have called me to see if I knew. There's something in her eyes that she's holding back and they can't get her to spill. She keeps lying saying she's okay, but everytime she says that, it looks like she's going to break. If I didn't have to fly clear across the nation to be in New York tomorrow, I'd be on a plane going to Australia to corner her about it. But even if I did it, she wouldn't talk. She wouldn't talk to me like she talks to you. You're the only one who can get her to open up. There's something she's hiding."

"Maybe she's not hiding anything and just feels overwhelmed with all of the stuff going on," he said, she shaking her head as he arched an eyebrow, watching as she dug through her purse and thrust a piece of paper in front of him, he unfolding it with his eyes widening. "What is this?"

"Just look at it, JC."

He looked down, taking in Audrina's lost look on her face, took in how she stood, shoulders slumped, hands grasped together. "Where -" he stopped, taking in the sign behind her. "Hospital? What's she doing at a hospital?"

"They have a cardiac ward," she said, JC's eyes widening. "This was in one of the tabloids and I know that Brian and AJ don't look at that stuff, though I don't know if it's over there, anyway. I haven't told them, because I don't want this all blowing up in her face if she's just waiting on the right time to say something is wrong or that she just went to get checked over. But she was there. AJ said she had gone to the doctor, and since that day, she's been acting a little weird."

"And you want me to say something."

"Yes," she said, nodding. "I'm scared, Jace. What if something is wrong and she's hiding it from everyone? What if there's something wrong and she's holding it off? What if she refuses treatment? I can't see her dying -"

"Stop," he said, getting up and grabbing her shoulders. "She's fine. It's Audrina. She's fine."

"Do you not rememeber the last time she said she was fine? She ended up in the hospital. You ended up riding in an ambulance with her!"

"Okay, okay," he held his hands up, stopping her from going on, "I'll think of something. I'll ... I'll get to the bottom of this. I don't know why I'm agreeing to this, since she made a fool of me, but I'll think of something."

"You're agreeing to this because you love her, JC. You care about her just as much as we all do. Even if you're not with her, you've gotta save AJ from seeing the pain you did. He won't be able to deal with it, and you know it. He can handle her being sick, but if he knows that it's life-threatening, I don't know how he's gonna stand.""I don't want him to see that."

"No one does."

Sighing deeply as he followed Aundrea to the door, he gave her a small frown. "All right. I'll think of something, I'll talk to her. I don't know how much she is going to be willing to listen, if she even answers her phone, but I'll try. If it's serious and she's not letting anyone help her, hopefully, she'll listen to me and tell her brother, at least. He can help her. He's been through it."

Aundrea nodded. "I told you, she'll listen to you. Your opinion matters more than anyone else's -"

"God knows why ..."

"Because it's you, JC. You have always mattered, above all else. Just, get through to her, okay?"

He nodded. "I'll try."

"I'll call you sometime this week to see what happened," she said, turning to walk away. "Oh, and I'm sorry about hitting you."

He laughed slightly, shaking his head. "It's fine. I deserved it."

"Yeah, you did," she chuckled. "I'll talk to you soon."

He nodded, watching as she got into her car and drove away, he closing the door and sighing deeply. How the hell was he going to pull this one off?

She was at the hospital. Maybe it was just because of being sick. Maybe she had the stomach flu and the doctor's sent her there to get hydrated. Maybe ... maybe that's where the doctor was. In a clinic that the hospital had. Like the one in San Franscisco that he had been with her at when she had strep throat. Maybe that was it.

But maybe she was sick. Maybe something was going on with her heart and she was scared shitless. Scared shitless and hiding it all from everyone because she didn't worry them, in true Audrina fashion. Maybe they wanted to go in with the scope earlier than they thought to clear her valves. That wasn't too serious. Not serious enough to have her holding things back from her best friends.

Whatever the possibility, he had to get through to her. He couldn't lose her.

He sat back down, setting the crumpled music sheet down and smoothing it away, and jotting down another few lines.

I was lying to myself
Now I'm dying in this hell
Girl, I know you're mad
I can't blame you for being mad ...

End Notes:

Credit:

Crawling Back to You - Backstreet Boys

Chapter 18 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Three updates in three days.  Go me!

She was in Sydney, and the only thing she had been able to see since she arrived was the hotel room and the inside of the waiting car each and every time she left for an interview. It had been so repetitive that she, herself could conduct the interview. The questions were all the same: pertaining to her taking time off, to how her health was now, to JC and finally settling on AJ.

The answers were always the same, too. "It was good to do. I got to focus on me and make myself better." "It's going good, I'm as good as I'll be with the Stenosis. They said I'm doing well and won't need the valve flush anytime soon, which I don't look forward to when it does happen." "He's a good guy. We just, drifted apart with the tour." "It's going as well as a new relationship would. He's been there for me and it's not surprising that the relationship-thing between us happened. I don't get to see him often, and that saddens me because I miss him."

She was pretty sure that if you opened every magazine that she had just done interviews for, they'd all be the same. Questions, answers, everything. Over the phone interviews were rushed, she didn't want to be on the phone longer than she had to, and though she didn't want to admit it, people were becoming skeptical of her sudden change in demeanor. She really couldn't blame them, though.

As soon as the news hit that she needed surgery, she became a different person, much like her brother did. She wasn't as social, wasn't as warm as she used to be. Simple conversations became a chore to her; a simple hello was forced as she tried to smile, yet failed most of the time.

Her last show was horrible. Not only did she feel off the entire time, she could not get her excitement level up and everyone knew it. The palpitations had begun again, medication doing nothing to keep them to a minimum, she feeling out of breath more during shows than she ever did.

All she wanted to do was sleep. She refused to talk to Aundrea, to Aubrey, in fear of falling apart and telling them exactly what was going on. Brian was still calling her nearly every hour, trying to get her to spill. Everyone knew something was wrong, but she was being stubborn, as she always was (something that had yet to change) and they couldn't get her to budge on it.

AJ, who in the midst of a four-day break with the Boys, flew down to visit her, though she knew a lot of his visiting was to see if she'd finally tell him something, anything. Most nights were spent just lying in silence, he holding her tightly as she fought back tears; others were spent with the two of them making love, he hoping that in the middle of the passion, when she was less inhibited, she'd say something. It never came.

He told her point blank the day he was leaving that he knew something was wrong, that he knew she was lying to him. Had she been unfaithful? Was she having second thoughts? Those questions rolled off his tongue as if they burned him, she having to take a step back in shock as she denied it all, reaching for his hand as he let her hold his, it limp in her grip. "I know something is wrong, D," he said softly, a hint of tears glassing over his eyes, "I just wish you'd let me in and tell me so that I could help you."

She shook her head, lips pressed together as she smiled. "I'm fine," she said softly, he sighing deeply in frustration and she stepped to her, lips pressed to her clammy forehead, hand holding the back of her head as his eyes dropped closed in surrender. "Alex, stop worrying ..."

"I can't help it," he said softly, pulling away and looking at her, still holding her head as he lowered to her eye level. "What did that doctor say to you, Audrina, huh? Is it your heart? Something with your stomach? Don't leave me in the dark, baby ..."

"I'm fine, Alex." Her voice cut short, signalling the end of that conversation. "You better go. They're boarding."

He sighed deeply, giving up again. "I love you," he said softly, she nodding as her eyes dropped closed as he pressed his lips to hers, warm and moist. "I love you. A lot."

Pulling away and still holding onto the hem of his shirt, she nodded. "I love you a lot, too."

"I'll call you when I land," he said softly, she nodding once more as he stepped away, eyes lingering on her for a moment as he tried to read her face, it pale and tired looking. "Love you."

"Be safe," she said softly, raising her hand slightly to wave him off, "I love you, too."

He disappeared within the mass of passengers, she turning and leaving. Her walls were crumbling; people could read her being troubled now. It wouldn't be long before hell broke loose.



He stared down at his phone as the familiar numbers looked back up at him, waiting to be sent to connect with the other line. After calling Johnny, getting the number of the clinic she had gone to, he found out there was indeed, something wrong, but that was all he could get out of them. He hadn't told Drea what he learned, knowing that it would freak her out and bombard Audrina's own phone, driving her to either turn it off or throw it out the window. Aubrey would leave threatening messages, Brian would basically threaten to disown her and AJ ... who knew what AJ would feel if he found out from him.

He had to do this. He had to call her, to tell her he knew there was something wrong. He needed her to tell him, tell him what the scenerio was so he could help her tell her family, her friends ... AJ. He knew, that after all these years of hurt and pain, this was what he owed her. She was owed a lot from his life, he probably forever in her debt until the day he died.

He hit send, letting it connect as he hit speakerphone, listening to it ring and ring, he beginning to think she would never answer when it clicked, silent for a moment before a groggy voice greeted him. " ... JC?"

Mentally hitting himself, he realize that it was nearing five in the morning, rather than nearing eleven at night like it had been where he was. "I'm sorry I woke you," he said softly, "I can call later on tomorrow ..."

"I'm up now," she said softly, he hearing her shift around. "What's wrong?"

His heart skipped a beat, he licking his lips. "Nothing is wrong with me, I just ... I needed to talk to you."

"Oh," she said softly. "I never thought you'd want to talk to me again after that day."

"To be honest, I didn't," he replied, a slight chuckle coming from her end, "but there is something that's on my mind and I need to get it through to you."

She was silent for a moment, he beginning to think she had nodded off. Though, as soon as the thought finished, she spoke. "What about?"

He took a deep breath, preparing himself for what could be a bad thing when she found out how he knew. "Your heart."

" ... What about it?"

"What did they say at the doctor's, Audrina?"

She scoffed. "They put you up to this, didn't they? Who was it? Brian? Bree? Drea? It can't be AJ because he's pissed off at me, and talking to you would probably make him even more pissed off at me ..."

"No one put me up to this," he lied, "I just ... " He trailed off, trying to think of an excuse to cover up Aundrea's concern, "I saw a picture of you in a tabloid going into a hospital that had a cardiac unit. I called Johnny just to see if you were okay and he said that you had gone to the doctor's the other day and that was the day they said in the magazine that you had gone to the hospital -"

"I'm fine, JC. The ... clinic was in the hospital."

"I know you're lying to me."

"I am not," she murmured, shifting yet again. "I'm not lying to you."

"I know the doctor sent you to the cardiologist," he said quickly, it spilling out like word vomit, "I know he found something wrong. I called and he told me!"

She was silent. He knew that he had gotten to her, probably on her wrong side, but he had gotten to her. "You called my doctor? How could you -"

"And then I called your cardiologist! He said you were going to be seeing him when you got home! Why are you keeping something from everyone, Audrina? What is going on? Are you dying?"

"No, I'm not fucking dying," she spat. "How dare you go behind my back and try and find out the root of all my problems! How fucking dare you! This is none of your business, none of your concern! I can't fucking believe you ..."

"I can't believe you!" He was seething now. "You're hiding something terribly wrong from everyone and if something happens and they don't know, they're going to hate you! They'll probably never talk to you! Aundrea is already scared shitless that you're dying and you won't tell anyone; Aubrey doesn't know what or how to make heads or tails of it; Brian is worried so bad that he's gotten himself sick and AJ! AJ is so paranoid that you're going to end up like Brian that he's been mentally preparing himself! It's been nearly a month since you went to the doctor's, Audrina. You can't keep doing this to yourself, to them! They have a right to know! They love you!"

"You don't know anything," she snapped, he met with a dial tone.

He sighed deeply, hanging the phone up and taking it off speaker, hanging his head low and pressing his fingers to the temples, feeling a headache coming on. That went exactly how he envisioned it going.

Morning came quickly for Audrina after she had the phone call from JC. It was nearing nine, she having a free day until about one when she'd go back to the ampitheater for soundcheck. A free morning to think about the conversation that was already giving her a queasy stomach.

Rolling over, she was greeted with two missed calls: one from AJ and one from Aundrea. Neither had voicemails, but she did get a message. From JC.

I know something is wrong. I just
don't understand why you won't let
anyone in and tell them. They all
want to help you. Even me. I don't
know what I'd do if something ever
happened to you, Rina. I wish you'd
stop being so stubborn and just tell
someone. Let us be there for you.
You mean the world to everyone
you're close to and losing you to
something you're hiding from is
only going to make it harder.
Please, just ... tell someone. It
doesn't have to be me, maybe your
brother. He's been in similiar situations
and he knows how to deal with them.
If not him, tell AJ. You know, the one
you're dating? Hiding something from him
will ruin you guys. He loves you, Rine; don't
scare him with this. He can't deal with secrets.
No one can. I'm sorry I attacked you like I did
yesterday, but I thought it'd be the only way to
get to you. Apparently not. Just, tell someone
and take care of yourself. We need you around
for a long, long time.

Tears burned her eyes as bile rose into her throat, she scrambling to make it to the bathroom as she threw up the contents of what she didn't have in her stomach any longer, they more dry heaves than anything. He was right, she did have to tell someone. But it nauseated her just to think about it.

Getting up and sitting down on the cool floor, she pressed the heels of her hands into her eyes, sending light bursts behind her lids with how hard she had been pressing. She had yet to call the doctor's, had yet tell anyone ... she was pushing off the inevitable and if she pushed it away any further, she was afraid of the consequences. What if she died? What if she pushed it off for so long that the hole just became her death sentence, if it wasn't already? If she died, no one would be able to forgive her for not telling them. Brian would blame himself, he knowing all the signs and feeling as if he ignored them; Aubrey and Aundrea would probably hate even the name that they were once connected with and AJ ... AJ would become a wreck. He had lost his grandmother and the world had ended for him. Losing her, the woman he loved for so long was sure to send him back down the road he had successfully turned away from.

And JC. He'd retreat with his tail between his legs, defeated. He had fought her disease alongside her for so long that it became a part of him. His depression would kick his ass, she afraid to even think of what would happen to him.

That was when she made her decision.



In the midst of straightening out his disaster of a living room after tearing it apart to rearrange and keep his mind off of things, having bought a new entertainment center and plasma television, he had an eerie feeling. Standing in the middle of his couch and lounge chairs that had yet to be pushed back to where he wanted them, he looked around, unsure of what to make of the feeling. Was it he, himself? Was someone breaking in? Someone getting into his car?

The hairs on the back of his neck stood, goosebumps prickling his arms as he cried out in sudden shock as the doorbell rang. Putting a hand to his chest to calm his frantic heart, he stepped through his mess, walking slowly towards the door. Pressing up against the door and peering out the peephole, his eyes widened at the face standing behind the door. "Rina?!"

The door quickly opened as he stood face to face with her lost one, eyes watering. "Audrina, what's going on?!" He grabbed her hand, pulling her into the house as she stood, arms crossed beneath her chest as she began to weep, his arms immediately finding their way around her body to hold her against him. "What's going on," he asked softly, pulling her into the living room and sitting them both down on the couch, he pulling away and tucking a hair behind her ear. "Aren't you supposed to be in Australia right now?"

She nodded, tears still falling as she looked down at her hands, they clasped in her lap. "I made Johnny cancel the rest of the promotional tour. There are some things a little more important ..."

"Rine," he said softly, hands beginning to shake at the completely devastated one before him, "tell me what's going on?"

"You were right," she said, still unable to look at him, "I went to the doctor's and they sent me to the cardiologist right after. I have Ventricular Septal Defect -"

"Brian has that ..."

"Yeah," she nodded, laughing slightly, "the one thing I never thought I'd get, I do."

"There's treatments though, right? I mean, you can get better and -"

"Of course," she said softly, shaking her head. "But I've been putting it off because I suddenly became shallow and didn't want the scar my brother has. I didn't want to be ugly ... I," she stopped, tears falling down her face, "I know it's bad to say, but I don't want to have the scar. Brian wears it with pride, but I'd ... I'd never be the same. How do you go on being a woman with a scar that goes clear down from the top of your chest?"

"The same way you always have," he said, swallowing the lump in his throat. She needed surgery. "Regardless of the scar, you'll still be beautiful," he said softly, she bringing her gaze up to him for the first time, "and I'm sure AJ would agree with me. God, Audrina, a little scar isn't going to change who you are or how we see you. It's going to signify that you are a fighter. That you went in to save yourself. That you care enough about yourself to get it fixed because you aren't ready to die yet."

"But what if I do?! What if something happens like it did with Brian? What if they go in for that three hour procedure and it ends up being six? Ten? What if they cut something that they weren't supposed to and I die? I can't die like that, I can't -"

"Would you rather die from something else?"

"Old age would be nice," she murmured, he reaching forward and taking her hand in his, "that's the only way I'd want to ..."

"Then get this surgery," he prompted, "fix your heart so you can live to be old. Fix your heart so the world can still have you around. I don't think you realize what would happen to everyone if something happened to you," he frowned, "what would happen to me if something went wrong ..."

"I'm sorry I came here out of nowhere ... I just didn't have anywhere else to go or anyone else to go to ... Brian and AJ are still overseas and Aundrea and Aubrey are in Florida ..."

"There's nothing to be sorry about," he murmured, pulling her in for a hug as she sighed deeply against his shoulder, "I'm glad you came."

"Me too," she said softly, sighing dramatically. "I called them all. Told them that I needed to talk to them when they came home -"

"When does he get home?"

"In a four days," she said, pulling away and swiping at her tearstained eyes. "I have to tell them all alone. I can't just tell them in one group. Especially Brian. I can't just come out with it and be like, 'hey! I need surgery! Yay!'. It won't work for him."

"If you want me to be there when you tell them, I will ..."

"Thanks, but no," she said, shaking her head and taking a shaky breath in, "I need to do this alone. Somehow, the thought of having you there with me is definitely calming, but it wouldn't be when I told AJ."

He smirked slightly, nodding in agreement. "All right, so ... what's next?"

"I go the cardiologist tomorrow to find out my options. If I need the surgery or the tube."

"Tube?"

"They want to flush my valve. But, I have a feeling it'll be the surgery with the tube. Then, I go to the specialist who will probably do my surgery. And then, I wait until my brother comes home. And then, I prepare myself for the war that will happen because I didn't tell them sooner."

"They'll understand."

"Brian may, but AJ won't," she said, shaking her head. "He knew something was wrong and he knew I've been lying to him. He's gonna be so hurt when he finally knows that i think I'm gonna need protective gear when his body explodes from anger."

"He's never ... hit you, has he?!"

She laughed, shaking her head, "no! He's just ... very emotional when he gets angry. He's gonna yell a lot. Probably slam the door to some room and refuse to even speak to me for a while. But I have to face it. I made the choice of not telling them until now."

"Okay, so ... what do you do now?"

"Now," she said, standing and surveying his living room, "we clean up this mess before I go all Danny Tanner on your ass."

"I was getting there until you came."

"Well, have no fear, the Tan-Man is here," she grinned as he rolled his eyes, he getting up and grabbing her hand. "What?"

"I'm glad you came," he said softly, her face softening at his remark. "I'm glad you came to me."

"Me too."

Chapter 19 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
I really am on a roll with all these updates.  You can thank my sudden obsession with watching AJ's 'Lay Down Beside Me' performance, hahaha.  I'm so glad you are all enjoying this story, it means a lot to see how involved you guys are getting!  I'm waiting for a shoe or some hard object to be thrown at me after all the stuff I'm putting my characters through!  I promise I won't torture you for long ...

She had missed her couch. Soft, deep and oh-so welcoming as she lie on it, watching old home videos taken over the years. Most were when she had spent the summer touring with her brother as a teenager, back in the days when Kevin and the camcorder were nearly attached at the base and hand. This one in particular had been making her smile, it of them all backstage moments before the 'Backstreet chant', she standing next to her brother and burrowed beneath AJ's arm, they in the midst of a wrestling match as Kevin moved the camcorder over everyone.

"Say hello to our families," Kevin said, voice bellowing from behind the camera, "no profanities, McLean," he teased, AJ laughing as he headlocked Audrina, smiling goofily at the camera as she laughed, reaching for her brother for leverage as she pulled from his grip, laughing as Brian grabbed her, doing the same thing. "See Aunt Jackie, Uncle Harold? Your son is an instigator!"

Brian laughed as he released Audrina, she playfully pushing him as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, the chant beginning and she slipping out of sight. It had been a ritual for the group and crew, and she felt as if it were not her place to be a part of it, though she was a Backstreet sister.

"BSB, what time is it?"

"It's time for me to go work y'all!"

"What kind of work?"

"Hard work, uh!"


Her shrieks were heard from the camcorder as Kevin scanned to Brian, who was grinning and pointing in the other direction, Kevin moving the camcorder to where AJ had cornered her, dumping his bottled water on her head as she called mercy, he tossing the bottle backward and tackling her, her legs flying upward as everyone behind Kevin who weren't seen laughed hysterically.  Her laughter rang above all else as he tickled her, she calling for someone's help as he didn't let up.

"I can't breathe, Aje! C'mon, stop! Alex! Uncle, damnit!"

AJ laughed as he pulled away, taking her hand and helping her up, only to cry out as she jumped on his back, his form then a blur going past the camcorder as he ran down the hall with her on his back.

"I swear, they're a match made in weirdo heaven," Kevin mumbled, his now wife (but then girlfriend) Kristin laughing from behind him. "She's obviously Brian's kid sister, that's for sure."

"Hey!" Brian laughed as the screen focused on his face, only inches away from the screen. "Do I have something up my nose, because I - I can't see it ..." His voice trailed off as he tilted his head upward, acting as if he were looking into a mirror.

"Man, you Littrell's, I swear ..."

Brian grinned, Leighanne coming up from behind him and wrapping her arms around his waist. "It's showtime, baby! Frack, where you be, man?!"

The camcorder turned to look at Kevin, he doing his own little bit. "He may be my cousin, but I can still say I'm not related to him, right?"

"Hey!"

Chuckling, he looking upward at Brian, then back at the camcorder. "Actually, there's never a dull moment with a Littrell in the vicinity. When there's two, I swear the world may explode with their ... quirky personalities ... then you throw a McLean and a Carter in the mix and the world may as well be turned inside out."

"Ha, ha, Kevy," Nick's voice was heard then, he grinning and turning the camcorder back to his 'little' brother.

She barely heard the door open and shut, the quick footsteps coming from the foyer into the small hall and then into the living room. Her eyes continued to rest on the television, now watching the party that Nick had at his house for the release of Millennium, just twelve months after Brian had his first major heart surgery. It was another reason they were all celebrating: another successful album and a living brother and friend.

"Aw, come on, man!"

She laughed to herself, Brian standing in front of the camcorder with a goofy smile on his face. He had been in very high spirits since his surgery, his faith having a lot to do with his cheerfulness.

"What? Come on, what?"

"Show your battle wound!"


She frowned as she watched her brother lift his shirt up, tears welling in her eyes as she took in the still very purple scar. She didn't want that. She didn't want to have a battle wound. She didn't want to make a mockery of something that scared her so much.

The couch shifted, she turning and meeting the concerned gaze of the one that was still on the screen, talking about how many stitches, how many hours it all involved. "You canceled the rest of your promo tour," he asked, more of a statement than a question to her ears. "Why?"

"I had to," she said softly, eyes still on the television, trying not to meet his gaze again, "my doctor told me I had to. Too much stress."

An eyebrow raised as he swallowed a lump in his throat. "Doctor, as in C-Cardiologist?"

"That'd be the one," she said softly, watching as his hand appeared in front of her face, going down to the coffee table and taking the remote, demanding her complete attention. "Brian -"

"Is this what you want to talk to me about? To AJ about?"

Biting her lip, she nodded. "Yeah. ... Where is AJ?"

"He's here," Brian said softly, gesturing backward towards her bathroom, "actually came in first. I was on the phone with Leigh and getting another flight out to Georgia so he came in a little quicker."

"Oh."

"So, talk to me."

She opened her mouth to speak, stopping as she heard her brother's sad voice on the tv.

It was supposed to be a four-hour procedure and it ended up being six. They had a lot of difficulties with my heart. Apparently, I've got a heart made of steel ..."

"We're just glad you're okay, man. We were worried about you for a while."

"Man, don't worry about me. The only Littrell you've gotta worry about is the little monster I call my sister," he grinned. "She's gonna be the troublemaker, I promise. Just give her a couple years."

"She's not a monster," Kevin laughed, "she's just ... AJ's clone in a woman's body."

"I refuse to think of my eighteen-year-old sister as a woman," Brian chuckled, sticking his tongue out in disgust. "She's forever going to be five to me. Innocent and harmless."

"You go ahead thinking that, and when she marries and gives you nephews and nieces or whatever she decides to pop out, you can be the one to explain to her why she's your monster."

"She's always been my monster," he argued. "First, my chunker munker as a baby and then my monster after all the noises she would make when she was learning to walk. She sounded like a little monster."

"She's not learning how to walk, Rok."

"She will forever be learning something to me, Kev," he grinned, glancing back as her screams were heard, Nick and AJ both swinging her into the deep end of the inground pool. "Like how not to trust them around a pool."

"She should be the teen idol. Breaking all those guys' hearts."

"Why are we talking about my sister's attractiveness?"

"Because she's the only Littrell child that has it?"

"Yeah, you're funny, Kev." Brian rolled his eyes, still smiling. "Ah, but I am a proud brother. She's always been there when I've needed her. Especially the last year. She's probably a lot of the reason I didn't go crazy, too."

"She's good for that."

"Yeah, and I hope I can do the same for her if something should ever happens and she needs me."

"Do you need me?"

She turned her head, looking at her brother as his eyes stayed glued to hers, he blindly turning the television off. The room had darkened dramatically, the only light a table lamp in the far corner by the bookcase. "What?"

"Has something happened to you," he asked softly, repeating himself again, "do you need me?"

She heard AJ's feet against the hardwood floor as she shuffled into the room, catching his gaze and swallowing hard, willing the tears that were beginning to form to stay at bay. "Yes. I do need you."

Brian scooted closer to her, she still lying down, her feet resting in his lap. "What's going on, Rina? Talk to me. Talk to us."

AJ came into the living room fully, lifting her up gently and sitting behind her so that she was in a sitting position, leaning partially on him as his hands held her at her waist, being her silent support from behind her. "What's happening to you, baby?" He asked quietly, his eyes meeting Brian's from over her shoulder. Brian had aged significantly since he had gotten the phone call from Audrina the day before. They had been wrapping up their promos when news broke that Audrina had canceled the rest of her promotion due to 'undisclosed reasons' and wouldn't be making them up, her world tour also being postponed until further notice. It sent all four men into an uproar, Howie on the phone trying to get in touch with Johnny as AJ and Brian went through scary scenerios, freaking themselves out more than they wanted to be. Nick, the former 'child' of the group, played the comforter, holding both brother and boyfriend together as they finally got a hold of Johnny, he telling them that she had withdrew and was going home to deal with 'issues' that he had not wanted to discuss, to leave it to her to tell them.

A heart-wrenching sob escaped her throat as her head dropped, Brian squeezing her hands gently as AJ leaned fully into her, placing his head to her back, Brian's hand going to her head to calm her. "Talk to us, Audrina. Tell us how we can make this better ..."

"I may as well have not come back to music," she said finally after a moment of her trying to gather herself, "I may as well have dug myself into an early grave and gave up ..."

"Rina -"

"I have a hole in my heart, Brian," she said, he gasping loudly as AJ tensed against her, "they did an ECHO. My heart is enlarged and they think it's putting a lot of pressure to the hole. It's enlarging my heart and -"

"They want to do surgery."

She nodded.

"Open heart?"

Again, a nod.

"Oh, God, baby," AJ lifted his head, placing a kiss to the place between her shoulder blades and then to her head, eyes shut tightly as tears fell. His eyes met Brian's again, his own heart breaking at the terrified look on his face, a heavy waterfall of tears falling down his face. Brian was breaking just as quickly as Audrina, he feeling her body shake against him. "It's gonna be fine, all right? You're gonna get through this, just like Brian did and you'll be good as new."

Brian had pulled himself closer to her, wrapping his arms around her and hugging her tightly, brother and sister weeping together. AJ, who still had no idea what to do, even after experiencing the same thing ten and four years ago, leaned into her once more, wrapping his arms completely around her and over Brian's back, the three of them sitting on the couch in a ball of tears.

"It's gonna be okay," Brian murmured, voice shaking with tears, "we're going to get through this. I'm not letting you go anywhere ..."

She nodded, lifting her head to rest on Brian's shoulder, one arm going around him and the other reaching back, gripping onto AJ tightly.

"It could be more of a simple procedure than mine," Brian said, hope filled in his voice, "maybe they just need to go through with a tube and -"

"The doctor wants to crack my chest," she mumbled, words echoing in her head from the appointment she had that morning, JC being her support before anyone had come home. "They're going to use a heart and lung machine because of how the hole is centered in my heart and -" she stopped, voice quivering, "I'm so scared ..."

"It's all right to be scared," Brian said soothingly, "I was scared, too. But I got out of it fine, and so will you. I don't know how many times I will say it, but it'll be okay, because I'm not letting you go. I'm not letting God take my baby sister."

"I refuse to let you go without a fight," AJ said, voice murmuring against her skin, wet tears warming her back as she pulled away from both of them, facing forward so that she had equal vision of both of them, both men instantly grabbing a hand, leaning into her as she sat, quiet. "How long have you known?"

"Long enough for you to be mad at me for lying to you," she said softly, both men stiffening up next to her. "I'm sorry, I just ... I didn't know how to face it myself, how could I have faced it with you? How could I have told you when I refused to even acknowledge it? After a while, I started believing it myself. And then the palpitations started taking over and I couldn't even perform without being winded. I started relying on the oxygen machine more than I wished and I finally gave up. I called Johnny and told him I wanted to go home. I told him I needed to deal with personal issues that would render me dead if I didn't. He immediately got me a flight home and I somehow ended up on JC's doorstep ..."

"JC," AJ repeated as she nodded. "You're talking again?"

"He called me the night before I caved," she said softly. "He ... cornered me the best he could over the phone and scared me. Then I woke up with a text message from him and I couldn't take it anymore. I threw up, I started shaking, I drove myself crazy thinking that I was going to slowly die and you were all going to hate me because I refused to tell you."

"So he knew first," Brian asked, she looking over at him and nodding. "Only because my going to the cardiac unit wasn't as hidden as I thought," she said softly, "that's why he called me: to ask if I was okay."

"I wish you would have come to me first," Brian said softly, "but I guess I understand. I mean, maybe I don't, but ... it could have been me. Or AJ ..."

"I didn't know how to tell you," she said softly, "either of you. It felt like a repeat of last time. I knew how you'd react, Brian ... and I knew how you'd react, J. JC was there when I got diagnosed for the first time and I knew he could handle it. I'm sorry it wasn't either of you, but that's how I felt I needed to deal with it ..."

"When are you going in for surgery?"

"August 22nd."

"Howie's birthday," Brian said softly as she nodded. He got up, raking a hand through his hair. "I gotta go call Leigh, tell her I'm not coming in when I thought. I need to be here with you ... "

"That's crazy, Brian," she said softly, getting up and wiping tears from her eyes as she stood in front of him, his blue eyes looking gray to her from his tears. "You don't need to be here for that long. Your son misses you, your wife misses you ..."

"My responsibility lies here right now," he said, shaking his head and placing his hands on her shoulders. "Leigh can come up here. I just, I need to be up here with you. I need that piece of mind."

"Okay," she said softly, he turning and disappearing back outside, she turning to look at AJ who still sat on the couch, eyes glued to the floor. "Aje ..."

Holding up his hand, he got up, stepping to her as she stepped slightly back, surprised at his sudden closeness, his breath felt against her skin. "I need to know that this is the only thing you're holding from me," he said softly, "I need to know that there aren't any other secrets."

Her eyebrows knitted in confusion. "Of course not, why would you even think that -"

"Because right now, I don't know what to think," he said, voice rising slowly with every word he spoke, "you lied to me, D. You kept a secret from me. A big secret. How could you keep that from someone you supposedly loved? If you love me at all ..."

"Are you mad?!" She stepped back, watching as the emotions washed over the deep browns of his eyes, "of course I love you! I love so much that it scared me to even tell you because I didn't know if we're get to have a long-lasting relationship together! Why do you think I kept this from you, huh? Not because I didn't want to tell you, but because I didn't want our relationship to suddenly be a pins and needles one after I dropped that bomb! I wanted to know you were loving me because you loved me, not because I am sick!"

"Jesus, D, I'm gonna love you regardless," his hands dropped in slight defeat, eyes studying hers. "I don't know what I'd do without you in my life somehow ..."

She smirked. "Well, lucky for you, you've had fifteen good years with me."

"I'd like to have another fifty," he said, voice quiet as she frowned. "Don't scare me like this again, all right? I ... I don't know what I'd do if I lost you, too."

She stepped into him, placing her head to his chest and holding tightly to him for dear life. "I know what you'd do," she said sadly, "and I'm not gonna let that happen to you."

He squeezed her tightly. "I'm going to go up and lie down for a bit. All this ... nonexcitement has given me a headache. You coming up to bed soon?"

She nodded. "I'm going to go talk to Brian ... then I'll be up."

"Okay." He stepped away, leaning down and pressing his lips to hers, hands cradling her face as she melted into him, the kiss passionate and warm. "I love you," he said softly, hand smoothing down her face as she smiled weakly, he stepping away and towards the foyer, heading towards the stairs to her bedroom.

She walked slowly behind him, watching his form ascend the stairs. "J?"

He turned, catching her small smile. "Yeah?"

"I love you, too."

His smile was warm as he turned, disappearing down the hall towards her bedroom, the click of her bedroom door echoing in the high ceilings. She stepped towards the front door, heart dropping as she heard something she had not heard from her brother in so long. "Brian?" Her voice was just below a whisper as he sat on her stairs, face buried in his hands, elbows resting on his knees, sobs escaping through his hands. "Brian ..."

He jumped at her voice, hands dropping as he frantically wiped away his tears, turning to look at her. "Hey. Leigh will be here in two days and -"

"Brian, stop -"

"Baylee misses you like crazy. Kept asking about Aunt Drinie -"

"Brian, stop." She grabbed his hands he finally stopping to look at her. "I'm going to be okay. You said so yourself. We just gotta keep that mentality going and pray. You remember how to pray, don't you?"

He frowned at the slight tease in her voice, he being the more religious one of the two. "Don't tease me, Drina. That's not funny ..."

"Okay, so it wasn't," she said softly, reaching over and pulling him into a hug. "We could pray though, right? That's what you do when you feel as if there isn't any other choice -"

"I pray daily, Drina. I've prayed for you since you were born."

"Then, we pray for each other this time," she said softly, he looking at her in bewilderment. "What? Just because I didn't release a Christian album doesn't mean I don't pray! C'mon now, B-Rok."

He chuckled slightly, wiping his eyes and wrapping an arm around her shoulder as she sank down on her steps, he sitting down next to her. "So now what?"

She looked over at him, the serious look on her face surprising him. "We pray."

 

 

He turned 32 today. In the midst of all the commotion with Audrina, he had completely forgot. It wasn't until she handed him a small wrapped box and wished him a happy birthday as she got out of his car that he had remembered.

The doctor had been very blunt and to the point from the moment they got into the office. It wasn't life-threatening, yet. But it was serious. He knew she had things to tie up and gave her a two week window to decide when she wanted to go for the surgery. Open heart surgery. It was like a large, hard punch to the stomach as he heard the words, he licking his lips and shaking his head. Of course, she chose to have it the last day they would allow her, two weeks from the 8th, the 22nd.

The doctor, as he spoke of the surgery, said they were going to a median sternotomy, something that didn't sound as bad as it was until he looked at her, confused. Her face was pale, the doctor answering the unspoken question for him: chest cracking. A vertical inline incision that is made along the sternum, then, once they reach the sternum, the chest is divided, or what most people know from watching medical shows such as House and ER, cracking the chest.

But, he noted, it wasn't going to be done unless the heart itself showed signs of distress while on the cardiopulmonary bypass machine. The heart and lung machine. He knew that. The machine that doctor's used to keep blood flow regulating while the heart wasn't beating. Basically, the person is dead, with just the machine making them live and rely on the machine to keep the flow. They'd cut the pericardium tissue to get to the damage and repair it as quickly as they could. Hopefully, the procedure wouldn't last more than the projected 2-4 hours. If worse comes to worse, they'd have to do the median sternotomy to be able to reach the entire heart, but it hopefully, they prayed, would not have to go that far.

The scar, as Audrina had asked, would run right down her chest, though closer to her left breast than right. With technology and money, the scar would be minimal she'd not have to worry about scarring like Brian had.

She cried as soon as they left the office, cried the moment she signed the papers that the doctor's needed for the hospital stay. Cried when they got into the car and cried into his arms as he let her, holding onto her tightly and just trying to soothe her the best he could. Telling her it would be okay, was like an empty promise to him. He didn't know, and if she wasn't, he didn't want to hate himself for saying something that may or may not be true.

He dropped her off an hour later after they ate lunch, the box she had given him resting in his lap the entire ride home, now resting in his hands as he untied the bow, opening the top of the box and laughing aloud when he pulled out a Pepe the King Prawn keychain, leaning back into bed and holding the keychain against his fingers. She was one of a kind.

"I can't believe we're watching Muppets From Space," he murmured as she curled up next to him, grinning triumphantly. "I can't believe you talked me into this."

"I have loved the Muppets since I was little. I couldn't pass this up when I saw it at Wal-Mart."

"I can see the headlines now," he chuckled, "instead of you going out and buying pregnancy tests and alcohol, you're out buying Muppet movies."

"I love Pepe. Don't knock it until you've watched it."

Though he had to admit the movie was entertaining (he laughing every so often), it was more entertaining to hear her quote the movie as it went along, even lowering her voice for the male muppets and raising them for Miss Piggy and any other given female muppet.

"I am not a shrimp! I am a KING PRAWN!"

He laughed at her imitation, shaking his head and placing a kiss to her temple. "I think Pepe may be my favorite muppet."

"Why?" She asked, turning to look at him with a raised eyebrow. "Because he's dressed in a ballerina's tutu?"

"No, because he brings out the kid in you. Well, that and the ballerina costume."

She grinned. "I'm gonna remember that. Just you watch."

And she did.

He smiled, surprised when he blinked back tears as he stared back at the little keychain, the fuzzy little shrimp (er, King Prawn) a blur as he sniffed, tears falling slowly down his cheeks. Would she live long enough for them to be able to watch it again? Would she live long enough for him to be able to tell her how much he did care about her? That those crazy little movies meant something to him because it meant he got to be with her for just a little longer?

A small sob came out of his mouth as he squeezed the keychain in his hand, bringing the closed fist to his forehead. He wanted her to live, he wanted her to be happy and have babies ... just like she wanted. Hell, let her be with AJ if it meant she'd live. He knew Brian had the procedure, but every time is different than the other. What if they punctured her heart? What if she never made it to the surgery because something happened? A valve burst? Her heart died? He wouldn't be able to live with himself if she died without her knowing how sorry he really was. It was killing him slowly, killing him even more than seeing her with AJ was.

He had nothing against AJ. But when he looked at them, he knew that AJ was meant to be the one to pick her up after her fall. He wasn't meant to be with her. He was. Audrina was it for him. It was sad that all these problems caused him to stop and look at their situation, to stop and realize so much that he should have said when they were closer, before she blew up on him. He should have told her he loved her the day in the dressing room and didn't let Lucy or Audrina stop him from doing so.

He loved her. God, did he love her. He felt like a lovelorn man who should be sitting outside her window, serenading her with the acoustic guitar, pulling a Casanova-type move. But he wasn't one to break up a happy relationship. He wasn't going to do that. If she still loved him the way he loved her, she'd come around. If she wanted to be with AJ, then he'd have to step down and let her be happy with him.

It didn't mean he'd have to be happy about it.

Chapter 20 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Updated 5.14 =]

"Johnny wants to put me out on a club tour," AJ said softly as he slid into the seat across from her at the small diner, they both trying to keep eye contact with patrons minimal to keep the craze down, they already being recognized and talked a good bit about in hush-hush tones.

"You?" She raised her mug to her mouth, sipping her hot tea slowly and watching him nod in response. "Without the guys?" Again, a nod. "I think that's great, AJ; why are you not as enthused?"

"I don't know. I mean, I am, but I feel as if I shouldn't be leaving them behind ... especially now ..."

"You mean me," she said, eyes gentle as he sighed deeply, nodding. "Aje, I'm gonna be okay, I promise you."

"I know, I just feel as if I'm throwing all this stuff on my plate without even thinking about it. I want to be able to spend time with you and not worry about what city I have to be in, how far away I am from you ..."

"Well, when does it start?"

"He wants me to perform at the House of Blues in Anaheim in four days."

Choking on her own air, she looked at him with wide eyes. "Four days? That's ... that's a short time to prepare in!"

"Well, I did do those solo shows earlier this year so I'm not exactly rusty," he noted, shrugging, "I just, I don't want to go if you're not there with me."

She smirked. "Are you asking me to come along with you, Alexander?"

He looked down at his fingers, picking at his cuticles before looking back up at her, voice soft. "Maybe," he replied, eyes studying her face, "I mean, if you want to. You don't have to, I just thought that maybe -"

"I'd want to come?"

"Well, yeah." He toyed with his napkin, ripping it in long strips and rolling it so that it'd curl back upward. "I mean, I know there's going to be a lot going on in the next two weeks and I just want to be around you as much as possible because I know how you are when you are recouperating ... "

She smirked. "I'm a big loner, this, I know."

Reaching over the table and gripping her hand, he sighed deeply and cast his eyes to the table. "I may seem like I'm being clingy; it's because I am. I'm trying so hard to be the doting boyfriend and all I can help but do is feel like I'm standing here with my invisible tail between my legs."

"Why?" She asked softly, eyes studying the top of his head as he shook his in response, "there's no reason for you to have to try and be the strong one, AJ. It was an inevitable thing that happened, and I should have known it would happen ... being that it happened to my brother. I guess, that I was just trying to act as if nothing was there and when it finally appeared, it took us all through a loop. There's no reason for you to try and be this big wall for me to lean on. I just need you to hold me when the time comes and assure me that it's going to be okay. Let Brian be the wall. I just want your arms."

He looked back up at her, eyes sad. "You've always got my arms."

She smiled weakly, smile widening when a song began to play in her head. "You know what would make my entire day?"

"What's that?"

"If you sang my song at your shows."

"Your song?" He looked at her, confused. "What's your so -" stopping mid-sentence, he looked at her, eyes wide and shaking his head. "Oh, no. Not that one. I haven't sang it in years."

"And what a better time to bring it back for your sick girlfriend."

"You're not sick ..."

"All right, diseased girlfriend."

He was silent. "Why do you make jokes about it? This is serious, D."

She felt her heart sink, seeing the sad expression that graced his otherwise strong face. "I guess it's just a defense mechanism; so I don't have to face reality."

"Audrina -"

"Because I'm scared as hell," she said softly, his face paling at her admittance. It hadn't been said since the first day, since then she making cracks about the surgery itself and her heart, bothering everyone else, but not, as it seemed, herself. "Because I'm afraid of lying on that table and flatlining and never seeing what my life could be five, ten years from now. Because, sitting here with you is the one thing I'm grasping without worrying if I'll ever be able to do this again with you after that surgery. If I die, I'm never going to see my brother again. I'm never going to see my family, the Boys, JC ... you. I don't want to live the days up to the surgery as if they're my last. I want to be oblivious. I want to be normal. I have not been normal for the last eight years of my life. Especially the last four. I want to have normalcy: a normal conversation not consisting of surgery, not consisting of what medications I have been taking. I want to be able to talk to my boyfriend about this club tour without him worrying about me. I want him to ask me to come with him for the first few dates because he wants me to go; not because he's worried if he leaves he won't see me alive again."

He frowned, releasing her hands and sliding out of his seat and into the booth beside her, arm going around her shoulder as he pulled her close to him. "Of course I want you to come be with me," he murmured, nuzzling his face into her hair as he kissed her head softly, "I want to be with you every second of the day because of who you are and what you mean to me. There isn't any doubt in my mind about that." His grip tightened as she leaned into him, head tucked beneath his chin as he stared out the window, watching as the soft beginnings of rain splattered against the large window. "Come spend the first few dates on tour with me," he said softly, "and then after your little break, the rest of it."

She nodded, he pulling away and smiling down at her. "So talk to me," he said, she lifting her head up to make eye contact with him, "tell me about this commercial you and Brian are doing this afternoon."

"It's a The More You Know commercial in between NBC and their special on Cardio-Vascular Procedures," she said, picking up her drink and sipping slowly. "Basically, he and I are giving facts about heart disease and how it affects people and why people need to focus more on it than they do."

"It's a good idea," he nodded, looking down at his watch. "What time you have to be there?"

"Noon."

He sat there, silent as he watched her twirl her straw in the water she had, frowning. She was thinking about it; he saw the pain flash in her eyes, saw the color drain from the rose of her cheeks. He spoke to himself mentally, willing to get the subject changed and onto something lighter, something that would get her mind off of the evidential. "So 'Lay Down Beside Me', huh?" He cleared his throat, watching as she lifted her gaze to his eyes, grin slowly twitching at the corners of her mouth as she nodded, he shaking his head in disbelief. "It couldn't be 'If You Knew What I Knew' or even 'Hey, Mr. DJ'?"

"Well, you can play those songs too," she grinned. "I wouldn't mind. Especially 'Hey, Mr. DJ' if you decide to ... lift up your shirt and gyrate like you used to."

"Audrina -"

"God, I felt like I needed to take a cold shower every time I watched you from the green room."

"Drina!"

She laughed. "It's true. You had a sexy body, McLean. Those hip indentations? That stomach? Gah!" She grinned as the red rose to his cheeks, she embarassing him for the first time in a long time. "And when you humped the floor? Good god, I needed a mop or something ..."

"Audrina," he chuckled, hand covering his face as he looked down, shaking his head in disbelief. "You seriously are messed up."

"It's in the Littrell code of honor," she grinned, "making asses out of you so we save our own."

"What ass? You don't have one!"

"I've got more than you!"

He grinned, shaking his head in disbelief. "Now I know why you're with me: just so you can see me seduce the floor and strip in front of other women."

"If I wanted that, I would have dated a stripper."

He laughed hard, she grinning widely as he fought to control himself, hands flat against the table. "God, I love you."

"I know."

"Totally wasn't the response I was looking for," he grinned, her smile matching his own. "But I guess that will do."

"Obviously, I love you," she said, voice softening a relatively large amount as he suddenly stopped laughing, hearing the tone that had appeared in her voice. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Ah, I do," he grinned, "make some other guy crazy."

"I'm serious, J."

He licked his lips, nodding. "I know you are."

"You mean the world to me. I don't think I could have gotten over a lot of things if it had not been for you."

"You're worrying me a bit, Drina," he said, scratching his head in confusion, "I've gotta admit this is all a little weird to hear out of the blue."

"I just wanted you to know that," she said softly, he nodding. "You're my everything."

He smirked, this time, song lyrics going through his own mind. "You're the reason why I found my way. And you're the reason why I feel this way. And you're the reason why I have to say - I had to let you know, you're my everything ..."

"Stop quoting that song," she laughed slightly, "I was being serious."

"Let's skip the serious," he said, getting up and fishing out money, putting it on the table and grabbing her hand, tugging her out of the booth as she looked on questioningly. "Let's skip the talk all together," he murmured, she screeching as the cold raindrops fell onto them, laughing when they reached his Land Rover, he pushing her up against it out of view of everyone else but the empty highway, mouth pressing against hers as she melted into him, chest flush against his.

The kiss was warm despite the cold of the water, his hand palming her cheek, fingers gripping the back of her neck as she pressed against him, hands gripping the fabric of his quickly drenched t-shirt, shivering against the different temperatures hitting her body. His other hand was resting beneath the hem of her own shirt, fingers gently squeezing her skin. Pulling away slowly, the rain falling down their faces as they blinked away whe drops on their eyelashes, he licked his lips, eyes slowly fluttering shut when she leaned her forehead against his. "I love you, D."

His voice was soft, being nearly taken away by the rain as the slow smile formed wider on her face, hands still holding onto his body, clothes now soaked through from the pouring rain. "I love you, Alexander."

"I'm gonna be there for you, Audrina; through everything. Don't ever think that will change, because it won't. This is just another hurdle that we've gotta jump. Once we clear it, we'll be fine and we'll go on with the life we were living ..."

She nodded. "I know. I planned on it."

"Good. Now, let's get into this damn car because this rain is freezing!"

"Pansy!"

He laughed, getting in and locking the door as she called out in surprise, unable to get in. Within a few seconds, he unlocked it, she hurriedly getting in and slamming the door. "I can't believe you," she mumbled, another laugh escaping her lips as he grabbed her hand, pulling her in for another kiss. "You know, they're going to arrest us for too much PDA or something."

"Let 'em," he said, shrugging as he pulled away, smirk on his face. "Just as long as you are my cellmate."

"Why?"

"Because no one else is claiming me as their sex bitch," he chuckled, starting the car and blasting the heat as she grinned from beside him. "Let's go home, shall we?"

"Let's."



"You went over your lines?"

She cast her eyes over to Brian who had been sitting in the make-up chair next to her, she nodding as the woman before her brushed powder onto her nose and forehead. "What about you?"

"Piece of cake."

"Piece of white cake."

"With mom's icing," Brian added, both siblings making a sound of want when the favorite treat their mother made crossed their minds. "God, what I wouldn't give to have some of that right now ..."

"I know how to make it, Brian. We can have some."

"I don't think you understand: I'd eat the icing in the bowl it was made in. I'm a woman when it comes to that, I have no shame."

"You're a woman anyhow."

"Funny, chick."

"Hey, you're the one that said it, not me."

"Yeah, yeah," he mumbled, hand reaching over and swatting at her own that was resting on the arm of the chair. "How are you doing?"

"Fine," she said, eyeing him wearily. "Just ... perfect."

"Good," he said, voice trailing off. He had forgotten that they were not releasing her condition to press to alleviate the stress that was already on her, management and the record company agreeing that the quicker she recovered, the better the results of having people not know were. She was excused from her promotional tour for a 'better world tour', as the record company had released the day before, stating that she decided that she'd add the dates of the promotional tour to the end of the world tour, not forgetting about the last few cities that she hadn't gone to before she left.

As he looked at his sister in the mirror, he couldn't help but frown. She was probably a lot of the reason he had worry lines by his eyes, worry being the only thing going through his mind the past few days. What he didn't understand was how he hadn't noticed it and the signs of trouble with her. Now, it was evident, especially to those who had seem him go through it. Her skin was ashen, eyes dark. Her weight had suddenly dropped, the cause of stress to her, but still a dramatic thing when she was already tiny enough. To him, it looked like her hands were retaining water again, and though she denied it, he couldn't help but worry and wonder if something was going on in her body that she didn't even know was happening.

It had happened to him; it wouldn't be surprising if the same thing happened to her.

"You guys ready to go through it a few times?"

He broke out of his thoughts, watching as Audrina slid off of the make-up chair, he forcing a smile as he got up and followed her to the familiar set he had seen on NBC numerous times during the later evening shows, primetime, if he recalled correctly. Audrina, who was dressed in a black pair of pants and a button-up blouse that was a light green, making her eyes pop even more, was wearing the necklace he had specially made for her after she was diagnosed the first time, it a ruby encrusted heart that hung just below her collarbone. She looked exhausted, shoulders slumped and eyelids seemingly heavy as she listened to the director as he pointed out various cameras. Her attention seemed to have halted as they called him over, he unable to keep his attention on them either, they fully on his sister.

As they stepped away to prepare for the first run-through, he stepped to her, eyes worried. "You okay?"

She nodded. "I'm just tired. I've been tired for the last two days. Just lack of sleep, probably. I'll be fine once that coffee kicks in."

He nodded, still weary. "All right. But if something doesn't feel right, you'll tell me, right?"

"Mmmhmm," she said, yawning deeply as the director laughed, cueing them to take their places.

In the next week or so, the commercial would be viewed by the millions of viewers that NBC took in daily. In the next week, people would be watching brother and sister, both of whom battled heart disease themselves. No one would be aware that one of the two siblings would be going under the knife the next week for a life-threatening problem; no one would be aware that though the words he spoke were for everyone, he meant them for her. This was his sister and he'd fight for her life if he had to.

"Action!"

He stood on the side, listening to his sister as she spoke to the camera, voice soft, eyes deep as the camera focused on her. There was no doubt she hadn't rehearsed what she had to say, but what did it matter? She was a statistic, she didn't need to know what she already knew.

"Ladies, this one is for you," she began, voice almost cheerful as she brought attention to herself, "picture yourself and two of your closest friends. Picture the times when you are laughing, crying, enjoying the memories you are making. Now, fast forward to a year from now, several years from now. One of your friends aren't around anymore. That's right. One in three women will die of heart disease in the United States alone. Not breast cancer, heart disease. You can help prevent this from happening to you, your friends and family by being knowledgable and visiting the doctor regularly. Taking care of your body and eating healthy, ridding it of organ meats, fats, processed food and that beloved nicotene that you just need. Put down that cigarette, put down that liver and onions and pay attention. Heart disease isn't just for the older generation. Heart disease hits home. Heart disease is in me."

Brian stepped up beside her, eyes turning to the camera. "And me. Did you know that it is the most leading cause of death? That every thirty four seconds, a person dies from a heart-related problem? That every twenty, someone has a heart attack? Educate yourself, educate others. Because the more you know," he stopped, looking at Audrina and she frowned, finishing his sentence. She looked lost, sad. This probably wasn't a good idea for her, especially with the upcoming surgery.

"The better off you are."

"Great! A few more and we'll have it in the bag," the director grinned, calling for a few changes to the set and lighting. "Don't forget to sell this, guys ..."

"Sell it," Audrina asked, voice just above a whisper, "we are it."

Brian reached down, gripping her hand as she sighed deeply, looking at him. "What's wrong?"

"I'm trying to say all this stuff is wrong, and yet, here I am ... dating a smoker, inhaling what he smokes daily and I eat the worst food possible ..."

"They're not asking you to set an example, Audrina," Brian said softly, "they're asking you to set a statement. Not to let what happened to many people happen to them. We didn't ask for this. It's congenital, all right? We didn't do anything for it to come back and bite our asses."

She pulled away from his hand, shaking her head. "I need an aspirin."

"Audrina?"

She walked away from him, hands up in surrender. "I'm fine, Brian."

"You don't look it!" He frowned, watching as she ignored him, sitting down in the chair by where her first position was, hand holding her head as an aspirin was placed in her hand and a water set down next to her on the arm of the chair. Suddenly, he felt helpless. Never had he felt that way, not even when he was going in for his own surgery, not even when she had gone for tests for her disease. His baby sister was trying to be strong, but he saw the exterior crumbling. To people who didn't know what was going on, they would excuse it as being tired, exhausted from her whirlwind tour, but he knew the truth. She was going to collapse, it was only a matter of time.

And knowing her, she'd refuse any help to get back up. Just like he knew she'd refuse company after her surgery. He and AJ had discussed that, both deciding that they'd be the brute force like Kevin used to be, making sure she wasn't alone, even though she said she 'wanted' it. He knew she didn't, but he also knew she hated when people saw her at her most vulnerable, hated when they saw her cry. It had been something that happened more often than not in the past few months, it a very big emotional rollercoaster ordeal. But this was different: this was her life, not her career. If she followed doctor's orders, she'd be in the hospital at least a week, bedrest for another. If she followed his orders, she'd take it easy for a while before going against everyone's recommendations and touring once more. He didn't want her to make the same mistake he did and not let his heart rest the way it should have, instead going out and beating it up some more with their touring, it only resulting in yet another surgery for him.

He sighed deeply, eyes shooting upward as a loud crash, following frantic voices of panic rang in his ears. There was a mass of people circling around where his sister had been, the immediate feeling of dread weighing heavy in his stomach as he ran towards them, breaking through them all and staring down wide-eyed at his sister, she slumped down in her chair. "Drina?"

"I'm okay," she said softly, eyes slowly fluttering open. "I just got dizzy and went to sit down and knocked down that stuff."

"We're calling this a day, Audrina," the director said, voice stern. "Brian, get her home, all right? She needs to rest -"

"Stop talking as if I'm going to break," she snapped, voice weak, "I can do this. Just let me collect myself. I can do this ..."

The director looked at Brian, he shaking his head in disapproval as he did the same. It was useless to argue with her. "Then we're breaking for an hour. Rest up, eat something. We'll come back in a little while."

Everyone cleared away from her as Brian knelt down eye-level to her, studying her face. "I wish you'd let me take you home."

"And I wish you'd stop treating me as if I'm going to break at the slightest problem."

"In case you've forgotten," Brian said harshly, her eyes turning to look at his in confusion, "you are in a fragile condition. Your heart is weak and we're all trying to do what's best!"

"Then let me go on without having to worry about it!" She pushed herself up from the chair weakly, getting up and slightly swaying as she looked at him, shaking her head. "I don't want to be treated as if I'm going to break, Brian. They may not know what's going on, but you do. You, of all people, should understand why I don't want to be bothered with this. You, of all people should understand. But you don't. You have no idea at all."

He scoffed, shaking his head and opening his mouth to speak, too late on his response. She had already walked away from him, slamming the door to her dressing room behind her. It was going to be a very interesting eleven days leading up to her surgery.

 

 

The glossy photo between his fingers brought a smile to his face, he setting it down on top of the pile of photos that he had been looking through. It was a photo that he had taken, a photo of Audrina sleeping in his bed, sheets tangled in her legs, hands tucked under her head and pillow. He remembered taking that photo, it a particularly hot night and she was tossing and turning so much that he got little to no sleep that night.

In the midst of it all, he had gotten up to get a drink and caught her then in that position, silk shorts stuck to her skin, his tank top hiked up over her belly and her hair in a high ponytail. She had told him to burn that picture, that she looked horrible in it, but to him, it was when she was most beautiful; it was when she was most uninhibited, most unaware of herself.

His thoughts seemed to wander more often than week than he remembered them doing so ever since he realized that he was still in love with her. The photo was one of the two of them on stage, they both sweaty, she leaned into him with his arm around her, belting out a note as she smiled, her eyes closed. Yet another moment he was thankful was caught on camera.

He was in reminiscing mode, having caught it from Audrina, who always went through things at least weekly just to remember, to put a smile on her a face, a memory in her mind.

He couldn't help himself. Haunting thoughts had been riddling his mind after she had admitted she was sicker than she let on. What if all that he was left with were these photos? Those memories? What if the only way he'd be able to hear her voice was to listen to an album, a demo? To call Brian and tell him a joke just to hear the almost identical laugh that the siblings shared? To turn on the television, push in one of the many DVDs he had to watch her perform or see the footage that not many people knew he had of the two of them when they dated? That Audrina herself didn't even know about?

He sighed deeply, reaching into the box of momentos and arching an eyebrow in confusion as his skin scraped against something. Hooking his index finger, he pulled it out, tears immediately burning his eyes. There, dangling on the curve of his finger, still bright and brilliant, illuminating rainbows from the sun that cast through the window, was a three carat princess-cut engagement ring with even more diamonds encrusted in the band, it already four years old but looking brand new, regardless of the dust that it had collected from sitted in the bottom of the box. Just in case. This was a 'just in case'.

"Can I help you, son?"

He stood in the middle of the plaza, eyes as wide as saucers as a man in a black suit approached him, hands clammy as they were clenched at his sides. "Just in case, Josh," he told himself, "this is just in case you change your mind. She's worth that much. She's worth that."

"Sir?"

He jumped, feeling the red creep up onto his cheeks as he turned to look at the man and then his bodyguard who stood at the door, not many people out at the early hour, especially in the middle of nowhere. "I -" he stopped, swallowing hard. "I am looking for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. Just - just in case I decide to ask her."

The man smiled gently, putting his hand to JC's shoulder and leading him forward, hand gesturing towards where they were walking. "Tell me about her."

"Who? My girlfriend?"

"Well, certainly not your mother," he kidded, walking around the display to look at JC with teasing eyes, seeing the nervousness in his eyes. "let's get her a ring that is just hers."

He licked his lips, nodding as his eyes darted from the man to the rings, back to the man and to the the clock. He had two hours. Two hours and he was meeting Audrina for breakfast at her parents' house. "She's ... she's amazing?"

"That's an answer I hope to hear from everyone," he grinned, pulling up a stool and setting his hands down on the display case, still studying him. "What is she like? What is her name? What does she do? What does she like to do?"

"She - her name is Rina." He licked his lips, t1he man coaxing him to continue. "She's an entertainer. She loves to laugh and she loves everybody. I don't think there is anybody that has come into contact with her that has one thing bad to say about her, except that she puts everyone ahead of herself. She loves to sing, she loves to dance, she loves to be with her family, her one older brother since her oldest brother lives further away and well, she loves to be with me ..." he trailed off, finally feeling the tension ease off of his shoulders. "She's going to be twenty-five and she hates that fact ..."


They spoke for a half hour about her, even down to what she liked to eat, what she liked to read. In the midst of him speaking, the man had walked away, still listening intently and commenting every so often about how she reminded him of his own daughter, he appearing once more in front of JC, holding a ring in his hand that literally took his breath away. That was it.

"See," the man said softly as he watched JC's reaction, "this is why I ask those kind of things, there's a ring for every woman. This ring just-so-happens to be the ring for her."

"That's it all right," he breathed out, reaching forward and touching it gingerly, the man placing it into his hand as he looked at it, the brilliance of the diamond almost looking blue to to him. "I'll take it."

"Great," he smiled. "I'll get the box -"

He looked down, eyes widening. What if it didn't fit? "Wait! Is this a six? I need a six."

The man smiled, gesturing for JC to follow him as he walked over to the case he had gotten it out of, it clearly the size he was looking for. "I told you it was made for her."

He couldn't help it, he grinned widely as the man took it from him, putting it in the black box and taking it to the register, filling out paperwork as JC slid his card across the counter, the smile slowly dissipating as he thought of what he was doing. "This is just in case, JC," he told himself again, "just in case. She's never brought it up, there isn't any pressure."

But she wanted it. He knew she did. But the more he was with her, so did he. It scared him, but the more he thought about it, it thrilled him, too.

He just hoped it stayed that way and he wouldn't chicken out if the time came.

The time never came. Time passed and his fear overcame everything. The ring was thrown in the box without so much of a second thought and there it sat for four years. He could have been married by now. Married, happy. Maybe even a father. Overwhelming? Yes. But happy? Definitely.

He hated himself. He lost out on the one big opportunity that he had stepped out on, the one opportunity he had turned down and someone else had taken advantage of the open door. They won, and he was left with losing. He still had her in his life, but it wasn't the same. He was still able to call her when he wanted, but it wasn't the same.

He couldn't open his eyes in the middle of the night, turn on his side and see her there, lying on her own side with the blankets around her ankles. He wouldn't be able to curl his body up against hers like he used to and kiss her shoulder, inhaling the scent that was only hers, permanently imprinted in his mind. If he closed his eyes and thought hard enough, he could smell her and he was happy. He wasn't the one she crawled into bed with when she had a bad day just to be held, putting her head on his chest, her legs thrown over his.

If he let his mind wander, he remembered the nights they spent together making love. The nights that he loved the most. The feel of her skin against his, warm and soft; fingers gripping his back, mouth on his or on his shoulder. He could feel her leg traveling higher up his as she reached her peak, could feel the pain that her nails inflicted as she scraped roughly or just dug into his skin, biting his shoulder, kissing his lips, they already swollen from their feverish kisses.Their kisses. He always believed that there was no such thing as a bad kisser, just bad chemistry, and with them, they were nowhere near. To him, he could spend his life kissing her and doing nothing else and he would be happy (give a few breaks to do other things ...).

He broke from his trance, reaching into the box and picking up one of the various tapes and putting it into the player. He sat back down, putting the pictures back in the box and looking at the screen as her laughter rang in his ears. He smiled, watching as she reached up above the camcorder, he crying out in protest as she swiped his hat, putting it on backward and making a kissy face.

"It's pretty sad you look better in that hat than I do."

"I think you look pretty damn sexy in a baseball hat."

"Aw, thank you baby."

She grinned, grabbing at the lens and kissing it, her lips leaving a smear mark as he cried out again, she wiping it off after a moment of disappearing. She continued to wear his hat, hair sticking out every which way and that from the messy ponytail that she was wearing, hands flying every which way in the animated story she was telling.

"Did I ever tell you how much I love you?"

"Only every ten seconds."

"Well, I do."

"Aw, well, Joshua Chasez," she said, dramatizing her heavy Kentucky accent, hands clasped beneath her chin, "I love you, too!"

"And you're just a little bit weird."

"And you're just a little bit old!"

"But I still love you, regardless."

"I love you in spite of."

"Hey!"

He grinned, watching as she pushed the camcorder out of the way, kissing him this time. The camera blacked out, skipping to a moment in time where she was actually the one behind the camera, he lying on the bed, arm underneath his head as he slept, the television going on in the background, voices murmuring in what sounded to be another language.

"Hey, sleepyhead."

He grinned, watching as her finger appeared on the screen, stroking downward on his nose. Her nails were short and manicured, and if he recalled correctly, it was from around the time the two of them had done the photoshoot with her in the sailor dress.

"Joshua, wake up, baby ..."

"I am up."

"Oh, don't lie," she laughed. "You have been sleeping for an hour."

"And you've been filming me?" He gave her a lazy smile, eyes still half-lidded as they focused on her, above the camcorder. "That bored? No video diary?"

"That's boring."

"And taping your sleeping boyfriend is even more fun?"

"Yeah, especially when he's talking in his sleep."

" ... I was not talking in my sleep!"

"All right, so you weren't, but I thought I could catch you if you just-so-happened to start."

He chuckled, reaching forward and tugging at her hand. "Put that camera down and come lay with me."

"Like you even have to tell me," she replied, the camera shifting as she lie on his shoulder, head leaning up against his as he took the camera from her, she lying on her side and looking up as he aimed the camcorder down at them. "What are you doing?"

He shrugged, placing a tender kiss to her forehead as he looked up at the camcorder and and smiled. "So, here we are in Paris, the city of love. I'm lying here in my suite with the love of my life and life couldn't be better. We're here for what, two more days? Yeah, two more days. She and I are doing a photoshoot together to recreate a popular photo of a marine reuniting with his love and then probably a lot more different themed shots back from the golden era. Can't wait to see this one in pencil skirts and those tight little curls ..."

"Ha, ha," she grinned, burying her face into his neck, playfully gnawing at his skin. "And you in a Marine uniform ... that'll be sexy ..."

He looked at the television blankly, listening to them playfully tease each other back and forth. They were now on the subject of he being too skinny and she being too short and always having to wear heels when she was with him, though she rarely did unless they were on the red carpet or on stage being televised. The camera was sitting on the nightstand at eye-level, getting their heads and catching his face, catching the way he looked at her, and if it wasn't apparent how he felt about her before, the look he had in that video was the same look he still gave her.

"JC, you home?"

He heard footsteps in the foyer, the familiar voice bringing a smile to his face, though it quickly washed away with how stressed it sounded. "Yeah, I'm in the living room!"

"Hey," she greeted, eyes meeting his and slowly dragging to the television, smile slowly forming. "Oh, my God, what are you watching?"

"Old tapes of us," he said, shrugging, "I was going through boxes of things I had in the guest room and this just-so-happened to be the box of the day."

She chuckled, sitting down next to him and putting her feet down on the arm of the couch, he glancing over at her tired eyes. "God, I looked so young!"

"We were young!" He looked at her still, frowning. "Are you okay?"

"Other than the known, yeah," she said softly, shifting slightly, "I'm fine."

"You sure? You look like you were crying."

"I'm okay," she nodded. "I had a dizzy spell today, but it was because I didn't eat, but I'm fine now."

"You wouldn't tell me that unless you think something is wrong."

"Brian's been on my case, is all."

"About what?"

"He doesn't think I'm okay," she shrugged, reaching forward and grabbing a handful of popcorn and avoiding his eyes as he arched an eyebrow. "Keeps asking me and he pissed me off today."

"And ..."

"He won't drop it."

"And?"

She sighed, aggravated. "JC, I came over here to escape the wrath of Littrell and McLean, must I escape the wrath of Chasez, too?"

"Why McLean?"

"Because," she mumbled, "Brian continued asking me when I got home and then AJ started and now he doesn't think I should go with him until after he tours because he doesn't think I'm healthy enough. But God damnit, I'm not going to break! I know I'm sick! I don't need to be treated like I'm that way!"

"Easy," he said, giving her a small smile as he reached forward, hugging her tightly, "easy, easy. They're just worried, you know? Brian doesn't want to let you make the same mistakes he did, okay? He went through the same thing, don't forget. Twice. They worry about you. They don't want to put too much pressure or stress on you when they just want you to be better and better than 100% after this whole thing is done -" He stopped, seeing the look on her face, she avoiding his gaze and biting her lip. "What, Rina, what?"

"What if ... what if I avoided it? What if I just ... flushed the blockage and didn't go for the surgery?"

"Then you'd be stupid," he said honestly, she turning to look at him, not expecting that answer. "You'd be stupid to not go through this surgery, Audrina. You not going through this surgery is like an early death wish. And I do not want to have to bury you, Audrina. I will not in my life, see you die. I'm older than you, I go first. I know Brian and AJ feel the same way. We're all prepared to go first. This is not going to be your time. You need to have this surgery. I know it's a scary thing, but it's just something you gotta do ... we're all gonna be there for you every single step of the way. Believe me, you're never going to be alone in this. You're never going to be without at least one of us there."

"You won't be there when it goes down."

"If we could be there, we would. Well, if they could be there, they would. I'd attempt. I don't know how well I'd do." He nudged her shoulder as she dropped her legs, she smirking at his mention of his phobia of hospitals and needles, eyes traveling to the tv as the two of them sat at a picnic table, Brian filming them during a family picnic. She lifted her legs, propping them onto the table as something clinked and fell to the floor.

His heart fell to the floor and began to pound rapidly. Oh, shit.

"What was that?" She dropped her feet, leaning down and picking up the ring and turning to him. "Jace, what is this?"

And suddenly, he felt like he was standing in the middle of the plaza once more. "What's what?"

"This."

He turned his gaze to look at her, swallowing hard. He had to think. Quick. If he told the truth, it would ruin everything. This was him, truth came out easier than lies. Lies came out and ruined his life. Hell, look at his life now. His life was a complete lie anyhow, why not add more to it? "I'm holding it for Justin."

"And you just have it sitting around like this?"

"I was looking for a box to put it in. He lost the box he had." He swallowed again, she looking down at the ring longingly. Oh, damn.

"This ring is beautiful," she said softly, eyes dragging up from the ring and back up to his unsteady gaze, "so he's going to ask Jessica?"

Licking his lips, he nodded. He was going to hell. He was going to hell and Justin was going to be the one to send him there. "Y-Yeah, but not for a while, that's why he asked me to keep a hold of it for a while."

"Oh." She kept looking at the ring, and for a moment, he could have sworn he saw the slight hint of tears form, though within a blink, they were gone. "It's beautiful," she repeated, voice quiet, he unsure of what to say. "Beautiful."

"Audrina -"

"Sometimes," she said softly, lowering her hand and bringing her gaze to him, it blank, "sometimes I think about what my life would be life if you and I would have stayed together. If we still had been together and married, would it have been by force or would you have wanted it by then? Would we have been happy? And then, sometimes, I think that you and I are better off without each other the way we were and that we're better this way. That you're here when I need you and the other way around and then we get our space when needed. That I found someone who does want to get married. But ... am I supposed to marry him? Am I going to make it to marriage? Am I meant to get married or am I just meant to be one of those people who are like the Jackie Harris' that go from meaningless relationship from meaningless relationship and still feel empty?"

"I was meaningless?"

She shook her head. "No, I just meant ... after everything was said and done. She couldn't find meaning after that. She wandered. Is that what I'm going to be?"

"No," he said softly, "you'll never be alone. You'll never be a wanderer, never be unmarried. You'll have your marriage, you'll have your babies, and you'll be happy. I promise you, Rina. Maybe it's AJ. Maybe it's ... maybe it's God, I hope it's not, but maybe it's Nick ... or maybe it's some nameless man you have no idea who he is yet. Whoever the lucky sonofabitch is, he's going to be having to pray that he keeps you happy, because if he doesn't, he's got a few people to answer to."

She reached forward, handing him the ring as he grasped her hand, catching her confused gaze. "What?"

"One of these days," he said softly, "a man is going to give you an amazing ring that will take your breath away. One of these days."

"The day of my death."

"Oh, shut up," he chuckled, putting the ring onto the end table and exhaling, mentally patting himself on the back as he reached over and wrapped an arm around her neck pulling her into him as he rubbed his knuckled into her hair. "I don't understand why you're being so negative. You're hanging out with me too much."

"You're never too negative. You're just too much of a pain in the ass!"

"Now, that's the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it?"

"I hate you."

He grinned, releasing her as she pulled away, situating herself back comfortably as they both sat and watched the two of them on the screen, he holding her on his shoulders as he spoke to the crowd, singing 'Happy Birthday' to her for her 23rd birthday. She was leaning forward, head near his, grinning widely as they all serenaded her, the band on the sides of them with a cake, balloons and champagne, all adorned in hates and party favors.

"You know," she said softly, her voice carrying over the cheers of the crowd on the tv, he taking his attention off of it and looking over, she still looking at it, face blank. "I miss us sometimes."

"... What?"

She turned to look at him, shrugging. "I mean, I love AJ. I just ... you have how long with someone, you're going to end up missing them sometime. And more often than not ... I do."

He opened his mouth to speak, interrupted by her cell phone ringing as she pulled it out of her pocket, rolling her eyes as she put it to her ears.

"What, Brian?"

Sighing deeply, he turned to the tv again. "I miss you, too," he said softly, too low for her to ear, but loud enough that he knew he said it. Her laughter rang in his ears, echoing with his own from the screen, a loud sigh pushing the laughter away as he turned to look at her as she got up, shoving her phone into her pocket. "Brian?"

"Yeah. He wants to talk. Blah, blah, blahbity-bloo." She rolled her eyes, sighing deeply. I don't think I've been this irritated in the last twenty eight years of my life than I am now."

"He's your brother, cut him some slack," JC said, standing up and following her to the door. "Call me if you need anything, all right?"

She nodded. "Thanks, JC. You know, for everything."

He shrugged. "That's what I'm here for." He gave her a weak smile as she walked down the driveway to her car, he waiting until she was in it and out of sight before shutting the door and going back to the living room, sitting down on the couch and picking up the ring. "You, you almost got me into big trouble," he said softly, wiping away the hints of dust on the band and putting it back into the box, this time in the box with the pictures so that it wouldn't get lost within all the momentos.

"One day, I'll tell you," he said softly, "one day I'll tell you when the timing is right."

Chapter 21 by Bobbilynn
"I really am sorry."

She curled into him and sighed deeply, his arms wrapped around her waist, fingers rubbing gentle circles into her warm skin. "It's fine, AJ."

"I just worry about you. And when Brian worries, I worry ..."

"I know," she murmured, her mind elsewhere. Her mind had been elsewhere the moment she had picked up that engagement ring and heard his answer. She knew when he lied, she knew just by the flash that went across the blues of his eyes that he was unable to think of something quick enough. He was holding something back. That wasn't Justin's ring. The ring was gorgeous. It looked like it was brand new. It couldn't be his. It couldn't of been AJ's - could it?

She pulled away, greens gazing into the dark browns of his as he looked at her, looked at her the way she had always wanted to be looked at: loved, admired, wanted, respected, needed. Maybe, maybe it was his. It still made no sense, but it made more sense than what JC had said.

"What's that look for," AJ asked, a smile playing on his lips, "you look confused."

"Nothing," she said, shrugging as she pulled herself back into his body and closed her eyes, immediately tiring with the warmth enveloping her, "just thinking."

"And you're thinking about something other than your health, right?"

"AJ, I'm fine."

"All right, I'm just making sure. I worry."

"You worry, Brian worries, my parents worry, JC worries. You all worry way too much and it's annoying."

"Well, you do have a surgery coming up in less than two weeks. It's kind of something we can't help."

"Well, can you do me a favor and leave the worrying to me? Play the strong card and let me worry about this crap." She opened her eyes, staring at his chest as she watched it slowly rise and fall with every breath he took. No, it wasn't his ring. It couldn't be. He wouldn't give JC a ring to hold for him. He'd be crazy to do something like that. AJ was crazy, but not that crazy.

"Is that your phone or mine?"

She pulled away again, glancing back at their phones sitting on the night stand, her pink phone lighting up in the darkness of the room. "Mine," she said softly, reaching over and pulling it to her line of vision. "It's Aundrea." She pulled the phone to her ear, greeting her friend. "Hello?"

"Sorry I'm calling so late, but Diddy had an idea."

She laughed slightly, scooting her body away from AJ's and leaning up against the back of the bed, running a hand through her hair. "It's one in the morning, Drea. Are you in the studio?"

"Yeah, actually, we are."

"Doing what?"

"We're getting ready to re-record Damaged and put it out as a B-Side for a single ..."

"And you had to call and tell me that," she asked, laughing. "I was just about to go to sleep."

"Well, Diddy had an idea ..."

"That involved me."

"Right," Aundrea replied. "Which involves you putting on jeans and a t-shirt, putting on a pair of flip flops, getting your car keys and driving down to Diddy's home studio."

"Aundrea," she whined, AJ looking up at her curiously as she slid out of bed, sliding off her pajama shorts and pulling on a pair of jeans, AJ sitting up and watching her cross the bedroom silently, "what's going on?"

"Diddy wants you to do the first verse of Damaged and do vocals for the song. He ... he kind of knows you'll be out for a while and thinks it'll be a good way for you to go out with a bang for a while."

She froze. "He knows?!"

AJ stood, crossing the room to stand in front of Audrina, eyes studying hers in confusion. "Rine, what's going on?"

"Diddy knows," she said softly, shaking her head in bewilderment. "Drea, did you tell him?"

"No," she said, alarmed, "no one did. You know how people talk, Drina; you know how media speculates. But he probably found out through Johnny. It's not a big deal -"

"It is a big deal!" Her eyes widened as she felt the tears form in her eyes, AJ looking alarmed as she watched her sudden change of emotion right in front of him, she holding her hand up to stop him from making a move to comfort her as she took a deep breath to calm herself, "Drea, this whole thing with me, I want to do it under the radar. The only reason I told who I told was because you guys are involved in my every day life. If I could have gone in for this surgery without telling my own brother, I would have. But it's not possible and I -"

"Please come record this with us," Aundrea said, not wanting to continue on with the ongoing subject and bring on an argument, "Dawn even wants you on the track. We need you for this. This is your song to begin with."

"It's late, Aundrea -"

"Right, like you and AJ were actually sleeping."

"Well, we could have been."

"Okay, being the fact that Johnny allowed him to wait until after your surgery to start his own club tour and gave you guys that two weeks to yourselves, I don't think you were sleeping."

"We were laying in bed."

"Naked."

"No! God, I'm beginning to think you hang out with Aubrey too much."

"We are in a group together."

She reached up, swiping at the tears that had escaped as AJ helped her, wiped off the smeared eyeliner as she smiled weakly, speaking to her friend a bit more before hanging up and sighing deeply. "I'm going into the studio with the girls for a bit."

He looked at her with an arched eyebrow, crossing his arms in confusion. I thought you were taking a break until after the surgery?"

"I thought so too, but maybe this will be a little less demanding since it's not really for me, you know? It's for Aundrea and Aubrey. I'm just lending my voice and it's only for a verse, I guess."

"And you're all right with this?"

"I have to be now."

"Audrina -"

"Look, AJ," she bit her lip, pulling off her t-shirt and reaching for a tanktop, tugging it down her body as AJ caught her hands, pulling her to him, waiting for an explaination, "if I come out of this surgery and decide that I don't want to do this anymore, I don't want to regret not doing something before. Or, if something happens and I'm suddenly gone, I don't want to just suddenly be gone. Let this be the last thing I've done."

"This isn't going to be the last thing you'll do -"

"I'm just saying," she said, hands gripping his at her hips, his thumbs rubbing her skin gently. "Just, let me have this thought. Just let me think this. Right now, I can't make heads or tails of my own situation. At this point, I'd rather bury myself in my career and die rather than have this surgery -"

"D -"

"I know I have to have it," she said softly, eyes slowly sliding down to their hands, voice shaky, "but sometimes, I wonder if I'd be better off."

"Don't ever think that."

She sighed, eyes dragging up back to his and nodding. "I know I shouldn't, but come on, don't you ever think of what could happen if something goes wrong?"

"No." He shook his head, placing a kiss to her forehead, she closing her eyes at the feeling of his lips to her skin. "Never."

When he pulled away, she smiled, pulling his hands away so that she could hold them to her chest. "AJ, can I ask you something?"

"Anything," he nodded, watching as she pursed her lips and then relaxed them, repeating it once more. "D, just spill it," he laughed. "I thought you were gonna leave!"

"You didn't buy me a ring, did you?"

"A ring?" He tilted his head, shaking it. "No, why?"

"I was just curious," she said, shrugging as she stood on tiptoe, kissing him on his lips as she grabbed her phone and purse, hurrying out of the bedroom before he could ask her anything else. "I'll be back later, get some sleep!"



"There she is, the woman of the hour!"

She puckered her lips just as Diddy approached her, kissing her cheek as she did the same, setting her things down on the chair in his studio, the girls all sitting as Aubrey and Aundrea approached her, Dawn and D. Woods getting up slowly after to greet soon after. "Hi, girls," she said softly, hugging Aubrey and Aundrea, receiving surprising hugs from the other two also. "So, what's going on with this?"

"This is my vision, Drina," Diddy said as he sat down on the stool in front of the sound board, swiveling the chair to face her, hands up and animated as he spoke, "first verse is all you. This song is yours already so you're going to be the one feeding it to the audience. You've got the ability to demand attention, and listening to your track, compared to the track from the album with Aubrey's introduction, I want yours. I want you to do it just as you did. I want you to push out the 'do' enunciated loudly, strong, powerful. Almost as if you're angry. I want you to be the secondary chorus with Aubrey and Dawn. After that, I want you to ad-lib behind Aubrey's second half of the second verse. Aundrea has the repeat of the first verse ..."

She sat there, listening to him as he went on and on about the song that she had sang numerous times on her own, now with four other women. This was probably the worst decision in her life that she had made. Judging by the look that Dawn had been giving her, it probably was. Then again, judging by the looks that Aundrea and Aubrey had also been giving her, the excited, 'bring it on', 'let's take on the world' kind of looks that she wished she had at that moment, maybe it would be all right. D. Woods, who was still quiet as she listened to Diddy and took in everything, gave her a tiny smile, though it unreadable after the slight upward slant of her mouth.

Aubrey studied her friend. "What's wrong?" She mouthed, eyes scanning everyone as Audrina did the same, noting Dawn's look and answering the question herself. "Oh."

Audrina nodded, though Diddy had thought it was for her. "Sounds good," she said softly. "Really good."

"And then, video tomorrow. We'll shoot it all in one day. It's all in two sets so it won't take too long. Probably just one day and then it can go into editing -"

She froze. "Wait, what?"

"The video," Diddy said, getting up and cracking his knuckles as he turned to look down at the soundboard, "we're going to release this as the girl's single."

"Excuse me?!"

"Audrina," Aubrey jumped up quickly, grabbing her arm as Aundrea grabbed her other, both girls pushing her out the doors towards the hall, "you have to help us, please."

"I thought this was just for a B side?"

"Drina," Aundrea said softly, her eyes wide, "Diddy wants to scrap us, okay! D and Dawn want out because our group is falling apart and they keep butting heads with everything and if this song doesn't sell then they're walking! This is our last chance to sell something ... you're our last chance for something ... you're our last chance!"

She stiffened. "Why didn't you tell me about this before?"

"Why? And burden you with other people's problems? Hell no. This is our battle. We'll get through it -"

"But you brought me into it now."

"Because you're our last resort. Well, Diddy's. He thinks that you're our saving grace, that your name being on this song is going to get us back up there and with your sudden disappearance, people are going to want to have a little piece of you because they don't know how long you're going to be gone without having another piece of your music again. They think you're just leaving the music industry again because you've had enough; they think you can't take it anymore, that you changed your mind. They think that you can't take being around the same industry as JC -"

Her eyes widened as Aubrey want off in a long tangent, looking over at Aundrea as she nodded sadly. "What -"

"And then with all this stuff going on with you, we didn't want to throw our problems on your shoulders because you had all this stuff going on in your mind with your surgery and all that stuff going on with AJ and JC and the media speculating the love triangle between you three -"

"Okay, what?!"

Aundrea laughed slightly. "Bree, don't forget she's usually clueless when it comes to media about her."

"Oh, right." She licked her lips, sighing a bit before she continued. "Apparently, JC really left the tour because AJ was coming to be with you and he couldn't be around the two of you and then you took a break from the tour because you couldn't not be around the two of them and the stress of having to choose was getting too hard to handle ..."

"Oh, that's original."

"Drina, please."

Audrina looked at the desperation written on both of her friends faces, sighing deeply. "I can't believe I'm agreeing to this -"

Delighted squeals cut her off as both girls dove at her, wrapping their arms around her neck and hugging her tightly, she frowning and returning the hug, placing her forehead on their shoulders, afraid to even know what she had just gotten herself into.



Six hours in the recording studio. Six hours for one song that had been already recorded previously. Six hours for one vocal. It was nearing eight in the morning and Audrina was already feeling the burn of exhaustion in her eyes as she stood in front of the microphone, barely listening to Diddy as he instructed her for the last bit of the song, she fiddling with the paper sitting on the music stand and toying with the necklace on her neck.

"You ready, Rina?"

Hiding a yawn, she nodded, pushing the headphones to her ear the music began yet again, the backing vocals playing as she ad-libbed, feeling the girls' eyes burn on her skin as she sang, shutting her eyes and picturing the body waiting at home for her, probably sleeping, but maybe not, sitting up on his own computer in bed, mixing music from his solo album, or even checking e-mail.

Or her brother, who was staying at the old L.A. house that the Boys used to rent out when they were recording some fifty miles away, definitely up and keeping his son company, either eating breakfast or watching cartoons while Leighanne tended to her business or cleaned up the endings of breakfast.

And then there was JC. He was sleeping. There was no doubt about it that he was sleeping. Especially since it was only eight in the morning. It'd be a good two, three hours before he got up on his day off to do something productive, to even greet the day, especially since he didn't eat breakfast.

Lucky him.

And here she was, ready to fall asleep standing up, singing a song she had already recorded, wrapped up and put on her cd, remixing it for another group so they wouldn't drown in the music industry because two of her best friends were involved.

"That was great!" Diddy cut her off as she silenced, pulling off the headphones and rubbing her aching ears, pulling up her hair as he instructed her to take a small break before going over to the lot to start getting ready for the video, a nap calling her name more than Aundrea, who was fast approaching her.

"Hey, hey, steady there," she laughed as Audrina's head dropped, exhaustion catching her quicker than she realized, Aundrea wrapping her arms around her waist, "you that tired?"

She nodded. "I didn't sleep well the other night."

"Why?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. Just, jitters, probably." She leaned into her friend, Aubrey falling into step with them and entwining hands with her, humming the melody of the song as the other two soon began to follow, the three sopranos walking slowly towards the set where Diddy had everything ready, giving the girls time for make-up, wardrobe, a small explaination and a slight breakfast.

"We're going to start shooting around noon," Diddy stated as Audrina and the rest of the girls looked up, all half-asleep and eating toast and fruit. "So I suggest either going to get some rest or going to catching up on choreography. Audrina, Aubrey can teach you the dance. You catch on quickly anyway since you are a dancer."

"Diddy, you're killing me here," she moaned, eyes dropping heavily as she dropped the fruit and saw the look he gave her, shaking her head in disbelief. He left the room, mumbling under his breath about underappreciation as she shot a look at both of her friends, they giving her sad glances before going back to their grapefruits, she getting up and slamming the door behind her, heading towards her designated make-up trailer.

She collapsed onto the couch, eyes immediately falling shut as sleep followed her. Barely hearing the door open and shut as she drifted off to sleep, she forced her eyes open as Aundrea and Aubrey crawled onto the couch, squeezing their way on either side of their friend and giving her apologetic looks as she smiled weakly, rolling her eyes and shutting them again, they laughing quietly. "Nap for two hours and then we'll work on choreography," she mumbled as Aubrey nodded against her arm, "I gotta call AJ, too. Make sure he knows I'm not dead or something in a ditch. Or didn't hang Diddy with a microphone wire."

The girls laughed, soon overcome with exhaustion and overtaken with sleep.



"I can't believe you actually agreed to do it," AJ laughed as she leaned up against the wall, listening to Diddy instruct Aubrey on something as he handed her the newly recorded song on the cd they had put it on, she listening intently as Aundrina rolled her eyes. Along with exhaustion, she had suddenly become very irritable and angry towards Diddy. "I'm about ten minutes away from the set now. You want me to bring you anything?"

"A shot gun."

"Well, I've got that," he joked. "Coffee? Tea? Food?"

"Tea would be good," she said, nodding. "And something sweet?"

"Well, I already said I'm coming ..."

"Ha, you're funny."

"Wow, you are cranky," he said, laughing slightly. "All right, I'll bring it. I'm pulling into the gas station now. I'll see you when I get there, okay?"

"Yeah." She hung up with him without so much as a goodbye, feeling horrible for doing so, but feeling even more horrible about being tired and being on set in the first place. Suddenly, she wanted to be normal, suddenly, the whole JC/ring thing was bothering her more and she wanted answers. Suddenly, she wanted to leave.

Suddenly, she felt emotional and wanted to cry.

She put the heels of her palms into her eyes, willing the tears to go away as she shook her head, looking up as the make-up people came in and did their thing, fussing over the bags under her eyes as she rolled her eyes, not saying a word and letting them continue. They piled on the foundation, brushed on silver eyeshadow and glitter, thickened the eyeliner, applied fake eyelashes after gushing over her already long ones and her high cheekbones and glossed her lips, letting hair and wardrobe come in, stripping her of her clothes and hair tie.

And that's when she lost it.

"Oh, hell no I'm not wearing that!"

"Audrina," the man stopped, holding up the small silver bathing suit looking outfit, it strapless, barely covering her breasts and skimming down her side in a thin strip to her hips and covering her front and back side, barely. "It's with the theme of the video."

"What is the theme?! FEMBOT?!"

"What's going on?"

Aundrea pushed her way into Audrina's make-up trailer, cracking up as she took in her best friend, dressed only in her bra and panties, eyes wide as she pointed disgustingly at the outfit. "Drina?"

"I'm not wearing that fucking thing!"

"Whoa," Aundrea laughed, "such foul languaged for such a religious little girl," she cooed, trying to ease the tension, "just, put it on. See what it looks like. It seriously just looks like a bathing suit, Drina. Maybe it'll look better on ..."

"I swear to god, if my hoo-ha leaves the building, it's your ass I'm going after," she mumbled, snatching the hanger from the wardrobe assistant as he stared after her, wide-eyed and confused as she disappeared into the bathroom.

"PMS-ing," she said, whispering as she grinned, listening to her best friend slamming things around as she pulled on the outfit, mumbling obsceneties with every movement she made.

"Knock, knock!"

Aundrea turned, grinning as AJ made his way into the trailer. "Hey, you made it just in time for the peep show!"

"Peep show," he cocked his head to the side as Audrina slammed the door open, eyes widening. "Whoa, baby." He stood, holding her tea and a bag of Skittles in one hand, pretzles in the other, completely blown away. "You look ... holy shit."

"I'm not wearing this."

"Audrina, who the hell knew you had legs like that," Aundrea chuckled as she took in her friend, shaking her head. "The sexpot shows!"

She stepped up to AJ, grabbing the tea and Skittles, turning away from him and mumbling under her breath, closing the sitting down and opening the bag as they flew everywhere. "I hate my life."

Aundrea grinned, looking at AJ as she edged away from her and headed towards the door. "I'm going to get ready. "I'll see you on the set, Drina."

"Here's your other outfit," Audrina," the wardrobe assistant replied, setting a pair of jeans and a silver corset tanktop on the table across from her as she shook her head, looking down at the Skittles at her feet. He walked away, leaving she and AJ alone.

"You all right," he asked, sitting down as she leaned her head backward onto the seat cushion, she yawning deeply as she nodded, leaning into him, nursing the cup between her hands. "You sure?"

"I'm just really tired and cranky," she mumbled. "I don't remember being this tired and cranky before. Maybe it's because I never had to deal with four girls and Diddy before."

"Maybe," he laughed. "But you do look hot in this get-up, D. You may have to take this home with you."

"Can you believe Diddy made me learn this whole dance, and then changed his mind and made me teach the choreography of the dance to my version of the song? I swear, he's trying to milk me dry," she mumbled, shutting her eyes tightly, "and then! Then, the bastard has at the end of the song a hospital scene where a guy flatlines on a table! Awesome scene, right? Yeah. My favorite. Good timing, Diddy, you asshole."



He heard the bass the moment he walked onto the lot, shaking his head with a smile as he approached the heavy door, pulling it open silently as Johnny approached him, finger to his mouth to keep him quiet as he pointed, eyes widening as he took in a dancing Audrina, center stage in between Dawn and D. Woods, doing the move on the hook with her hips like he had seen her do numerous times, jaw slacking. She owned the set, just as she had owned the stage.

"How's it going with the tension Dawn is bringing to the group?" He asked softly, smiling as he caught AJ's gaze, both men waving a hello to each other as his attention went back to Johnny, "I know she wasn't happy to begin with when this song started ..."

"She hasn't said anything about it. She knows their barely treading right now. Diddy thought that Audrina was their saving grace. If there was anyone who could get them afloat, it was her."

"Audrina's on her as a charity?"

"Yeah," he said, nodding. "She's doing it for her friends. "Aubrey told her and Aundrea basically begged her to do it."

"So why did you call me down here for?"

Johnny cleared his throat, holding up a pile of papers. "Contract."

"For what?"

"World tour."

"What ... what world tour?"

"The one you were supposed to do with Audrina."

"You got me out of it, Johnny." He looked at him, eyebrows knitted in confusion. "What's this all about?"

"After she gets her surgery, I don't want her going out there alone. AJ will be embarking on another tour with the Boys that he doesn't know about yet and I don't want him to be going apeshit because she's by herself. Aundrea and Aubrey don't know, but Danity Kane will probably no longer be Danity Kane if Diddy has his way. I may get them signed on a deal as a duo, but I'd really like you to go because I know you will catch something if something comes up with her. You catch things before she even does."

"Johnny, I'm not her keeper."

"No, but you love her."

His eyes widened, holding his hands up to silence him. "Johnny, seriously, man -"

"It's plain as day, I'm not stupid. But your secret is safe with me, all right? But what isn't safe with me is Audrina's health. She doesn't tell me things, and she refuses to tell anyone anything unless they force it out of her. She loves you, JC. For some unknown reason that no one knows, she still loves you. For reasons we don't know, she still holds you on a high pedestal; she'll tell you if something is wrong or she thinks something may be wrong. Just, please ... please go."

He sighed deeply, turning his head as watched her, the music playing back once more as she began from the beginning, standing in the front of the line, the girls behind her as she sang, hair pinstraight, adorned with bangs, the greens of her eyes piercing from even where he stood. He'd go over hell and high water for her. Go through the depths of hell and the below zero degree waters to make sure she was okay. Touring was no different. Suddenly, he was her guardian.

"Okay ..."

"What?"

He turned his head, looking at Johnny. "You're right. I do. And okay, I'll go. But don't make me regret this, Johnny. Don't make me regret this. Otherwise, I'm coming after you."
Chapter 22 by Bobbilynn

"You're difficult."

She smirked as she watched the scene unfold in front of her, her past form kneeling on the couch, recording JC as he sat, pencil between his lips, staring down at a piece of paper, his chicken scratch for writing barely legible as they attempted to continue writing for her third album.

"I'm not difficult," she said from behind the lens," I'm just recording a master at work. How's that difficult?"

"I'm trying to talk to you and you're trying to be all pain in the ass and difficult with that camera," he laughed, slightly frustrated with the song and her not wanting to work on it since she had been unable to think of anything to put down on paper since they had started having trouble. "Put the camera down and get back to the piano, little girl."

"Little girl?" She laughed at his little remark, setting the camera down on the table so that it caught him from chest up, she throwing herself onto his lap and crossing her arms across her chest, lip jut out as the pencil that was in his mouth literally spat out as the air rushed out of his lungs, he laughing as his hands flew to her arms, gripping them to steady his falling self. "I'm not little!"

"No, but you are difficult! Nothing is ever easy with you!"

"I never said it was!"

Picking up the remote, she paused the television and reached forward, grabbing the legal pad from the end table and a pen, pausing as she felt her heart slightly flutter for a moment, breath hitching as if she were going to yawn, but didn't. Shrugging, she put the pen to the pad, suddenly inspired with a verse.

It's not so easy loving me
It gets so complicated
All the things you gotta be
Everything's changing
But you're the truth
I'm amazed by all your patience
Everything I put you through
When I'm about to fall
Somehow you're always waiting
With your open arms to catch me
You're gonna save me from myself

"Hey, you home?"

She looked up, hearing the soft knocking on her front door as it opened, suddenly losing sense of breath once more to speak, slightly panicking as she put the pen down momentarily, hands to her legs as she inhaled, trying to breathe deeply. She felt sick. Her breathing was shallow, chest had tightened. She had to finish this. Had to get this down on paper before she lost all will to write.

"I'm gonna get a drink of water and take a tylenol, then I'll be in, okay?"

She didn't answer him, naturally, his faint footsteps heard echoing in the halls towards the kitchen as the light switch echoed, water ran and cupboard opened and closed, pills shook and the glass thunked against the counter.

"Audrina, you sleeping? You better not be, you promised a movie night tonight! You've got AJ the rest of the week, today's our day!"

She pushed off of herself, legs shaky as she attempted to stand as JC's wide eyes caught her pale face, he crossing the room in two long strides and grabbing her body as she collapsed into him, she crying out as a pain ripped into her chest, he scrambling to get her onto the couch, ripping the cell phone out of his pocket as he wiped the cold sweat from her forehead, her eyes darting frantically to catch his, to catch comfort within his, finding nothing but fright.

"I need an ambulance," he said frantically. "The Littrell Estate. I think she's having a heart attack!"



"We've stabilized her for now."

JC scrambled to his feet as a doctor approached him, pulling the blue mask from his face as the color slowly rose back to his pale cheeks, relief washing over him. "Is she going to be okay? Will she be able to go on without the surgery until it was planned?"

The doctor sighed, shaking his head. "Her heart went through a major trauma. Heart disease is a silent killer, Mr. Chasez; this could have very well killed her if you weren't there. She was very lucky you were there to save her. You saved her life, saved her from her own mistake of putting off more than she already has. She told me she's been having trouble breathing the past few dayss and those are major warning signs that her heart has been in distress for quite some time. I've scheduled surgery as soon as her heart stabilizes enough for us to take her up and an OR clears. Have you contacted her family?"

He sniffed, clearing his throat as he nodded. "Her brother is on his way, as well as her parents. They are flying in from Kentucky with her brother. Is she - is she awake?"

"In and out of sleep," he said, nodding. "We have her on oxygen to keep her levels up and her breathing; she gave us quite a fight. She's on Nitorglycerine to reduce the workload on her heart and improve the blood flow through the coronary arteries and we've given her ACE Inhibitors, reducing the strain on her heart. We need to keep it as strong as we can for this surgery, JC. If we have to put it off, it can weaken even more and it may not be possible to do."

His stomach sank to his feet as he looked at the doctor in disbelief. "What do you mean? What would happen if you couldn't? Could she - I mean, would she -"

"She would eventually succomb to her disease," he said softly as he watched the younger man's exterior crumble, "we've been monitoring her and are very positive on her outlook, but we have to look at both sides of the outcome. JC, think positively, all right? Why don't you go in there and see her, okay? You're probably the only person she's going to want to see right now."

He nodded, putting his hands to his eyes and pressing hard, ridding them of tears as he walked quickly down the hospital emergency room corridor, feet squeaking beneath him. He hated everything about hospitals: the look, the smell. It seemed as if his worst fear was becoming evident to him then, it was unravelling beneath his feet and he was living it. He was slowly losing her and he wasn't even with her to make it even more bitter. The one woman he loved was lying in a hospital bed, suffering from a massive heart attack and here he was, living alone because of the exact thing that brought her here and his own fear to face up to the inevitable.

He peeked into the room, feeling the color leaving his face once more as his heart lept out of his chest and bile rose up his throat, his swallowing hard as he saw her lying there, skin pale with an oxygen mask adorning her face. Her eyes were closed gently, lashes gently fluttering.

He pushed the door open gently, leaving it open a crack as he stepped in, running his hands up and down his arms to rid them of goosebumps, sitting down in the hard chair beside her. She was a completely different person to him then; suddenly, she wasn't just the woman he regretted giving up, she was the woman he had fought for all those years ago. There was a difference. A big difference. He swallowed a sob as he took her hand gently, letting his head lull forward, tears slipping past his eyelids as he brought her hand to his face, he unable to contain his tears any longer. "I'm so sorry, Audrina; so, so, sorry ..."

A weak grip on his hand startled him after a few moments, he looking up and meeting her half-lidded gaze, her free hand going up and pulling down at the oxygen mask, he protesting as she shook her head. "JC -"

"You're going to make it through this, Drina," he said softly, eyes slowly welling up, voice quiet as he fought back tears, gripping her hand tightly with both of his shaking hands, mouth murmuring against them, "you're going to make it through this and you'll be fine. You'll be fine ..."

She studied his face through her own tears, the oxygen only doing so much for her breathing as she hiccupped with the last bits of her sobs, blinkingly slowly. "Josh," she said softly, his forehead to their hands, "Josh ..." She pulled her hand towards her face, bringing him to look up at her, his hands moving towards her as he moved with their hands, confused. "That engagement ring that you have, it wasn't Justin's, was it?"

He licked his lips slowly, eyes dragging down to their hands once more and shaking his head. "No," he said softly, "it's not."

"I knew you lied to me," she said softly, letting her eyes slide shut as a tear fell, feeling his head drop in defeat onto her stomach, her hand weakly going onto the top of his head and weaving her fingers into his head gently, "why?"

"You didn't need to know the truth," he murmured, "you didn't need to know what kind of coward I was; you didn't need to have that burden on your shoulders when you're happy with AJ."

"Why couldn't you have just told me back then when -"

"I was scared, Audrina," he said softly, her hospital gown warming as the tears soaked through her hospital gown. "Scared of losing myself, scared of losing you if this should ever happen ... and then I stopped questioning it for a while and I began to warm up to the idea again. The guys started jabbing at me and I let that get to me and I just freaked. I lost sense of who I wanted to be, what I wanted us to be and I hightailed it out of there. I lost the only thing I ever wanted in my entire life and I've regretted it every single day since."

She opened her mouth to speak, eyes glassed over with tears as a voice bellowed in the halls, demanding to know where his girlfriend was, both people turning to look in the doorway just as AJ appeared, eyes wild with fright as he nearly lunged at her, wrapping his arms around her. "I'm okay, AJ, really ..."

"God, I was so scared," he said softly, voice riddled with tears, "when JC called and said you had an attack ..."

"I'm okay."

"No, you're not!"

JC got up, slipping out silently as boyfriend and girlfriend spoke, not wanting to be in the middle of the intimate interaction. He'd go outside, get a coffee, pretend to be interested in it and wait for Brian. Wait for her parents. Wait for someone. He'd much rather wait for insanity to take over, but he was pretty sure it already had with his admittance that had happened, though her reaction wasn't what he had expected.

Though she wasn't exactly in a good condition to stand up and slap him and then kick him where it counted, either.



"Leigh!"

JC got up quickly, eyes darting to where AJ quickly moved, greeting the woman who entered the hospital room. Alone.

Alone.

He had a sense of dread, eyes casting over to the sleeping Audrina, who had been lulled to sleep by Aubrey, who had been smoothing the hair away from her forehead for the last forty five minutes she and Aundrea had been there, meeting their concerned gazes. The unspoken question had been sought to the sad woman who kept hold of AJ with one hand, approaching Audrina and grasping her hand with the other.

"I tried to get him to come," she said softly, voice barely audible. "He freaked out. He literally went into hysterics. I have never seen him like that in my entire life. He just up and left ..."

"Do you know where he went?"

She looked up at JC, shaking her head as everyone dropped their heads in sadness, JC's eyes never once leaving the hand that still gripped his, even in sleep. "Nick is looking for him. Howie's calling everyone. Kevin's flying out here, so he's unreachable. If they find him, they'll bring him, but I don't know what else to do ..."

"There isn't anything else you can do," Aundrea said softly. "Where's Baylee?"

"I called Johnny," she chuckled, shaking her head. "Made him watch him. He doesn't need to be around this."

"No," AJ said, shaking his head as he took Leighanne's spot, hand instantly taking Audrina's, now opposite of JC.

"You know," Aubrey said softly, leaning towards Aundrea as the smaller woman looked towards her friend, eyes still settled on their ailing friend, "if Audrina was awake right now, she'd be having another heart attack."

"That's not funny, Bree."

"It's not meant to be," Aubrey said, shaking her head, "look at them. The two loves of her life, by her side for the most hardest thing she's ever had to go through and I know this is gonna end horribly for one of them. I just know it."

"Do we really have to talk about love triangles right now?"

"What do you want to talk about?"

"Nothing."

"Love triangles are better than talking about nothing, Drea," Aubrey mumbled, "I can't take hospitals, I can't take seeing my friend like this ..." she got up, defeated. "I need to get a coffee."

Aundrea got up, looking at everyone. "I'm going to make sure she's all right."

"I'm going to check to see if Nick or Howie found Brian," Leighanne said as both girls left, JC and AJ both looking on in confusion, suddenly aware of each other's presence in the room, alone.

"How are you holding up," JC asked softly, eyes slowly going back down to his hands, AJ clearing his throat. "Okay?"

"Yeah," he said, tone matching his, "you? I know you've gone through this before, too ..."

"I'm okay," he nodded. "but you've gotta be going crazy, man. This is your girlfriend. And you went through this with Brian, too ..."

"JC, stop with the act, all right, man?"

JC looked up, eyes wide. "What?"

AJ shook his head, giving him a weak, weak smile. "I know she was your girlfriend once. I know she's one of your best friends. This is killing you just as much as it's killing me. You don't have to play the saint here, okay? I know you're just as scared as I am. Just as freaked, just as petrified."

He nodded, putting his head down as he said a silent prayer, feeling the bed shift, hand moving in his.

"Hey, sleepy."

Looking up, he saw as she opened her eyes slowly, meeting AJ's gaze as she gave him a weak smile. "Hi."

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," she said, shrugging, "just, tired." Her eyes panned around the room, confused. "Where's everyone?"

"Aubrey and Aundrea went to get some coffee," AJ said, gesturing behind him, "and Leigh when to call to check on Baylee."

"And Brian?"

"He's -"

JC met AJ's sad gaze, turning to look at Audrina. "He's down the hall talking to the doctor. Being a pain in the ass. Just wants the best for you, is all."

She nodded. "Oh. Okay. When did he get here?"

"N-not long ago," AJ said, recovering quickly. "Probably about ten minutes ago. I'm gonna go see if he hasn't been committed in the crazy ward yet," he grinned weakly, kissing her hand and then her forehead, leaving the room as Audrina turned her head tiredly towards JC, giving him a weak hello.

"I swear you sleep more than I do."

"I don't think that's possible," she said, shaking her head as she yawned. "I seem to remember you being the one that slept in and went to bed earlier."

"I seem to remember a certain girl being the one that kept me up late watching movies and woke me up early to go out to breakfast at McDonald's because she was hungry for their Egg McMuffin."

She gave him a smirk, closing her eyes as she sighed deeply. "Jace?"

He turned his head, studying her face. For the first time that entire time they had been in that hospital room, she seemed calm, content, even. "Yeah?"

"Why do you still have that ring?" He opened his mouth to speak, stopping as she spoke again. "And don't lie to me."

He chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief. "I ... I just couldn't get rid of it. I kept it to remind me of what I could have had. I kept it remind me of what I did have. What I should have. After all this time, it's still a constant reminder, even if it's just in that box."

"After all that time?"

"After all that time," he repeated. "Nothing's changed."

"Nothing."

He laughed. "Not since day one, Rina."

She opened her eyes, looking at him seriously. "Go shut the door, JC."

Looking at her, eyebrows knitted in confusion, he got up, walking to the door and slowly pushing it closed. He walked back towards his seat and sat back down, looking at her. "What's going on?"

"I want to know that from you, JC."

"You're the one in the hospital bed."

"And you're the one holding onto an engagement ring from years ago."

He cringed. "Okay ..."

"So why was I never given it?"

"Because, I thought this would happen and I'd never be able to give it to you." He cringed with how fast it came out of his mouth, the word vomit making him sick to his stomach as he saw her give him a blank look. "That, if we got married, I'd have to bury my wife before I even got to have a life with her, start a family. I was afraid I'd lose her before we even got to be husband and wife. I didn't want to lose you in the first place and I thought pushing you away was the best thing for me ..."

"You're a genius, Chasez."

"You don't have to tell me twice."

She sighed deeply, shaking her head. "That hurt."

"I know. Right now, I don't know how you're not getting out of that bed and strangling me with that IV tube right now or stabbing me with that IV needle ..." he shuddered, face paling at the mention of the needle. "I just wanted to be happy, Audrina. I wanted us both to be happy. More than anything, I want you to be happy. I'm sorry that I was so stupid back then to think that losing you was the best thing for the both of us, and I'm sorry that I hurt you because if I could, I'd take it back. Losing you was the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life. Losing you was my biggest mistake, my biggest regret. I loved you. I loved you so much that I thought I had to let you go because it was such a big risk."

"And now?"

"Now, what?"

"Now what do you feel?"

He laughed. "Now I feel like I'm the biggest loser because you're with someone who knows what he has and won't give you up and I've gotta start from scratch."

"No," she said, stopping him from getting up, hand grabbing onto his as he looked at her in confusion, "do you still love me?"

He felt the color drain from his face, her eyes burning into his as he licked his lips, hearing AJ's voice closing in on the door with the three women. "Yes," he said softly, watching as her eyes brimmed with tears, "I do. Very much so."

She inhaled what air she could, breath shaky. "Wow," she said softly. "Wow."

"What about me," he said, eyes searching hers, ears perking as they heard the door knob turn. "What about you?"

"I don't know, JC," she said, shaking her head as they both watched the door slowly open, "I don't know how I feel anymore ..."




"I don't want to do this, I-I've changed my mind," she looked up at him as she lie on the gurney, they prepping to take her in as she cried, gripping onto his hands tightly. "I don't want to go in there, Aje, I can't ... I can't go in there ..."

"Hey, hey, look at me," he said softly, sniffling as tears forced their ways out of his own eyes as he studied her desperate and frantic face, "you can do this, and you will. You'll be fine and you'll come back to me, good as new. You'll wake up from the anesthetic and be greeted by my smiling face. You can do this, D; I know you can," he pulled her hand up to his mouth, kissing it gently.

"And you'll be the first face I see?"

"It wouldn't be any other way," he said softly as they began to pull her away from the wall, chest heaving with sobs as his own heart broke to see her the way she was. "You're going to be fine, Audrina Brianne. And when you come back, there's something I gotta show you. So you know you gotta make it through for this."

She nodded, eyes clenched tightly as they unhooked her IV's from stands, lying them on the bed next to her, monitors turning off as he pressed a kiss to her lips. "I love you," she said, eyes searching his, "AJ, I love you. Tell Brian and JC and everybody else that I love them, too. My mom and dad ..."

"Tell them that when you come back," he said, giving her a smile as she nodded weakly at him. "I love you, Audrina. Don't cause any havoc in there for them," he said, forcing a grin on his face as the nurses smiled weakly at him, he stepping out into the hall and watching as they wheeled her beyond the point that he couldn't go, feeling a hand clamp on his shoulder. He had made it. "Brian," he said softly, turning to look at the man, he looking just as lost as him, "she's so damn scared. She wanted to back out -"

"She'll be okay, Bone," he said softly, wrapping his arms around him and hugging him tightly, "she has to be."

"She went in?"

AJ and Brian turned to face JC as the others approached quickly behind, both nodding. "They had to take her in now. Her heart wasn't doing so good," AJ said, choking up. "She did have a heart attack. It caused damaged to the tissue and was putting stress on the heart by the hole. They have to use a heart and lung machine. Put a circuit into the lungs and anti-coagulants ..."

"Typical procedure with a heart-lung machine," Brian said softly, his parents stepping past JC and hugging Brian, Harold following and placing a comforting hand on AJ's shoulder. "She'll make it, she has to ..."

AJ swiped at his eyes, meeting JC's own deer-caught-in-headlights look. "How are you holding up, man?"

He licked his lips, trying to force a smile. "I'm okay." AJ looked at him and his shoulders slumped. "I'm scared to death."

"We all are," he said, reaching forward and patting his back, bringing him closer to the comfort huddle that had been built with family, and now AJ and JC, Aubrey and Aundrea huddled between the two men.

"She's going to be okay," JC said, swallowing hard. Both men stood in silence as the faint murmurs of family circled around them, the ex and the current boyfriends taking comfort in what they both shared. It may have been a weird situation to be in, given the circumstances, but when it dealt with the Littrell family, it was normal. They both loved the same woman who lie right down the hall in the operating room, both, God willing, who would give their heart to her if need be.
Chapter 23 by Bobbilynn

"Brian, she's waking up."

The nurse's quiet voice stirred him, he the only one who was even partially awake after her nearly eight-hour surgery and four hour recovery, AJ asleep on the floor; JC asleep sitting up on a chair; Aubrey and Aundrea asleep leaning up against each other and the others sleeping in cots in the private waiting room. He, he couldn't sleep. Every so often, he caught his eyes falling, and this was one of those moments.

"Thank you," he said groggily, getting up quickly and ridding the sleep from his eyes, following her down the hall to his sister, anxiety running through his veins. The doctor said that the hole had enlarged, it had taken some time to repair. The heart attack had been some sort of blessing, she probably would have died in her sleep or even not within the next few days if she had not had the attack. The blockage was cleared, though she would still have to take medicine, just like he did; though it was a small price to pay for the life he now had.

Stepped into the room, he saw his sister, eyes slowly blinking and still adjusting to the dim light, watching the television on the wall in front of her. "Hey, baby sister," he greeted, she turning her head slightly to giving him a weak smile from beneath the oxygen mask, "how you feeling?"

Giving him a weak shrug, her head turned back to the television as her name was mentioned, both siblings now listening in as her news made the top story.

"Audrina Littrell, little sister of Backstreet Boy Brian Littrell and respective singer herself has been admitted to Cedars-Sinai hospital late last night of undisclosed reasons. Sources say that ambulances and a quick response bus were spotted at her residence at around 9PM -"

"Argh," she mumbled, pulling at the mask and reaching for the remote, turning the channel, settling on MTV. "If they're gonna talk, they'll at least tell something better because they actually like me ..."

Brian chuckled a bit, reaching over and taking his sister's hand, squeezing gently. "Everyone likes you, Drina."

"Yeah, yeah."

"And in our top news, pop singing sensation Audrina Littrell underwent emergency surgery after a massive heart attack late last night. Word from her manager, Johnny Wright says that she is now resting at Cedars-Sinai Hospital after getting a hole in her heart repaired and the blockage cleared resulting from the heart attack. The singer has had heart troubles in the past and rumors have been circulating for quite some time that this was the very reason why she had post-poned the overseas promotional tour to come home and wait for the world tour. Wright stated in an official press release that Littrell is healing and not yet completely out of the woods but the doctors feel as if she is doing well and will recover beautiful just as her brother did four years ago when he underwent the same procedure. She will be taking off two months two take time off for herself and another six weeks to get back into career-mode before rescheduling her world tour, which would be picking up in about six weeks. We will have more on this breaking news when it is available. That's MTV News at 10 to the hour, every hour, here on MTV. Now back to your regularly scheduled program."

"So are you feeling any pain?"

She looked over at Brian, shaking her head. "No, they've got me so doped up that I don't think I could feel a two-ton anvil on my chest if they dropped it on me right now."

"No, cause you'd be dead."

"Yeah." She looked down at her hands, tears burning her eyes. "I'm gonna have a scar."

"Just another thing you and I will have in common."

"It's gonna be ugly."

"Maybe for a little while," he said, frowning as he squeezed her hand, "but look, it's not bad now." He lifted up his shirt, the scar flesh colored and barely visible unless the person studied his skin. "And besides, it's not like people are going to judge you by a surgical scar. That scar, saved your life, Rina. JC saved your life."

"I know." Her eyes were heavy as she looked down at the heavily padded section of her chest where the procedure had taken place, the medication working wonders yet again as she felt herself slipping into slumber. "I love you, Brian."

"I love you too, kiddo," he said, voice distant as he watched her eyes drop, grasp on his hand weaken. He looked up, seeing JC's form standing in the doorway. "Hey," he said softly, "I didn't know you were standing there."

"I just got here," he said, "I didn't want to intrude."

"Never," he said, smiling weakly, "she's just doped up with the medications. Got a long road ahead of her before they take her out of the Cardiac ICU, but they think she'll be okay."

"Good." He edged away from the door slowly, eyes never leaving Audrina's sleeping face, worry etched throughout his own. "Is she -"

Brian took in the paleness of JC's face, giving him a small smile. "She's going to be okay, JC. You were there just in time. You got her here. We owe you every debt of gratitude for saving her. She owes you. She owes you big time."

"She owes me nothing," he said softly, standing at the foot of her bed as he took in a sharp intake of breath, watching her chest rise and fall slowly with the monitors, taking in the heaviness of her chest with the gauze that hid each and every stitch, each and every reminder of what had happened only four hours before. "I just want her to be healthy. I just want her to be alive. That's all I ever wanted."

"I know."

The almost death sentence that the doctor had told them all about had weighed heavily on them all, and he could see that it still weighed heavily on JC as he watched her intently, watched to see if it still hung over her like a dark storm cloud, ready to pour over her like molasses. She was still deep in the woods and the sentence was still there, complications could still arise, but they were all praying for the best.

Brian turned his head to look back at his sister, hands grasping one of hers, taking in her pale, nearly ashen face, though it looking more healthy than it had in a while, more serene, more comfortable than she had in weeks, months even. He watched as JC took the spot across from him, his own eyes doing what he had done: taking in the face that he had seen for so long with a deep sigh, grasping her hand inbetween his own. He put his hands to his forehead and bowed his head in a silent prayer, letting JC be in his own silence, wanting to be in his own peace.

 

 

"You look a little better."


She smiled weakly at AJ as he ran his finger gently over the top of hers, studying her face. "I'm still really tired, but I think I'm okay ..."

"It took three days, but you got a little color back. Feeling any pain?"

"My chest feels heavy," she murmured, yawning dramatically as one hand went to her chest, touching the gown gingerly as she peeked beneath it, cringing at the bandages. "I feel like a partial mummy with an anvil on my chest. I feel like my eyes are connected to weights and they're slowly tugging down ... "

"Well, how about this," he said, leaning forward as he shoved his hand into his pocket, she watching him intently, eyebrows knitting in confusion. "What's one more thing to weigh on you than this?"

"J," she asked, trying to lift herself but hissing out in pain as his eyes widened, scrambling to help her lie back down, he chuckling as he sat down on the edge of her bed, kissing her on the lips gently as her eyes traveled to his hand, gasping slightly as he let his fingers uncurl from around the nearly blinding ring that stared up at her. "AJ, what the hell is this ..."

"It's not an engagement ring, D," AJ laughed, "and I'm glad because of that reaction."

She tore her eyes away from the ring to look into his laughing ones, confused. "Then what -"

"It was going to be a 'Get Well', slash 'I'm Thinking Of You', slash, 'Just Because' gift. You've been going through a lot lately and I thought it'd be nice to get you something after you busted your ass for so long."

"Oh."

"Oh?" He asked, laughing incredulously as he watched her reach to touch the ring gingerly with her fingers. "You like it?"

"Like it?" She gave him the strongest smile she could, watching as he took her left hand, sliding it onto her ring finger. "I love it, Alex. It's ... it's beautiful."

It was a two and a half carat cushion cut sapphire and diamond ring inspired from the Edwardian period, the band encrusted with diamonds that matched the ones in the ring itself.

"You know it's going to cause a lot of talk, right?"

She smiled weakly, looking down at the ring that now adorned her finger and shrugged. "Yeah. Let them talk." She closed her eyes, grasping his hand as he continued to sit there, unable to put any pressure against her, wanting to hug him and be held but unable to do so. The medicine was wearing off and she was beginning to feel the pain; she swallowing hard as she pressed the morphine drip, almost immediately feeling the tension wear down. "Thank you," she said softly, he squeezing her hand as she said it, opening her eyes to meet his gaze. "For the ring, for being here ..."

He smiled at her, lifting her hand up to his mouth and kissing each of her fingers tenderly, lifting his eyes to meet her gaze. "There's nowhere else I'd rather be."

She pulled him so that he was lying on his side, turning her head to bury her face into his neck and inhaling slowly, his scent taking over her senses slowly. "I love you," she said softly, eyes dropping closed in exhaustion once more. She hated how tired she got. "I love you."




He stood in the doorway, heart at his feet. What he had just witnessed had taken his entire heart and just thrown it against the wall. The ring was put on her finger, her left ring finger and now they were lying together, she telling him she loved him over and over.

She was engaged. She knew what she felt. She just didn't want to tell him how she felt about him. She knew. She very well knew how she felt about him but didn't want to hurt him so instead covered it up and waited. Instead, he walks in on the middle of a propsal.

Good timing, Chasez.

"You okay, JC? You look a little pale."

He looked over at Aubrey, she rolling her cell phone in her hands as she walked down the hall, waiting for Aundrea to call to come back and pick her up from the flower shoppe down the road. "No, I'm okay," he said quickly. "Just, still very overwhelmed from what's been going on the last few days and seeing her like I did ..."

"That's right," she said softly, nodding her head in understanding, "you're the one who called 911." She leaned up against the wall next to him, staring down at her feet as he once was. "How are you handling it? You need to talk?"

"I'm fine right now," he said, shoulders rising and falling in a slow shrug, "there are other things on my mind right now that I've been thinking about to keep myself from going too crazy over this. I've got other things making me crazy."


"Like what?"

He turned his head, blue eyes meeting blue. "I'd rather not talk about it."

"Oh," she said, giving him a sympathetic smile. "Well, that's fine. But I am here if you need it, Jace. I'm not always a bitch, you know that."

He chuckled. "I know, Bree. I just ... this is something I need to figure out on my own. I've gotta wear the big boy pants sooner or later."

"It should have been a lot sooner if you know what I mean." She gave him a small smile, pushing off of the wall and beginning to walk down the hall towards the private waiting room, in search of reading material to wait until she could go in to see her friend since it was a 2 person limit.

"You're preaching to the already knowing choir," he mumbled, she turning to look at him. "Nothing."

"Okay," she chuckled, turning back around and disappearing down the hall.

"Hey, there you are," AJ greeted as he stepped out of the room, "Audrina's been asking where you disappeared to. She wanted to see you. Though I don't know how much company she'd be, since she's been slipping in and out of sleep."

He turned his gaze towards the door, seeing Audrina's half-asleep form lying in bed, eyes nearly closed as they struggled to focus on the television across the room. "I've been around. Bothering the hospital staff to make sure she's comfortable and taken care of, making sure everything is taken care of with the music stuff and publicity and media so she's not hounded with rumors and stuff ..."

"That's nice of you, man," AJ smiled, clapping him on the back, "I'm gonna go down to the cafeteria and get her some soup. She doesn't want the crap they brought up for her. You want anything?"

He shook his head. "No thanks."

"All right. Well, I'll see you in a bit."

He nodded, stepping past AJ and into the room, Audrina immediately looking over and taking in his form, a small smile forming on her face. "Good evening, beautiful."

"Why the long face?"

He paled at her question, shrugging. "Just tired, I guess."

"Well, you did go home and got some rest, did you not?"

He shook his head. "No, I've been here."

Her jaw dropped. "Josh, go home. Go sleep in your bed and stay there until I come home. I'm fine. I'll be here when you come back. It's not like I can go anywhere ..."

"No, I'm staying until you're sent home. I'm fine."

"No, you look like shit."

"Thanks, Drina," he said sarcastically, crossing the room and sitting down next to her as she turned her head to look at him, studying the bags under his eyes, the intense blue that normally was a lighter blue. "I'm fine, really."

"Please, at least go nap or something ..."

"There isn't anywhere to nap."

"Use that bed over there," she said, motioning for the bed on the other side of the room. "I have a private room. No one is gonna use it."

"I'm fine," he said, turning his head to look at the television. "Pretty ring."

She chuckled. "Thanks. AJ got it for me."

"Figured."

She paused. "Why do you sound so pissy?"

"I'm not. Just really didn't have a comment for that," he said, leaning his head onto her lower stomach and sighing, eyes involuntarily dropping closed as he felt her fingers weave through his hair. "I didn't realize you'd be getting married so soon after just starting to date."

She scoffed. "I'm not getting married, Jace."

"That's what the ring is, is it not?"

"No, it's not."

"Then why is it on that finger?"

"Because I don't wear rings on any other finger than this one? You knew that."

He sighed. He did know that. "Oh."

Smiling weakly, she continued to play with his hair, gently massaging his scalp as she felt his body weight begin to grow heavier. "Jace, go to sleep."

"No."

"You're still such a pain in the ass."

"Just as much as you." He lifted his head after a moment of silence, meeting her gaze, eyes lost. "I don't know what I would have done if I would have lost you, Audrina. I don't know how I would have dealt with losing you completely. Promise me you're not gonna leave me."

She felt him grasp her hand, fingers lacing between the spaces of her own and gently tickling her skin, nearly taking her breath away with his touch.

Don't ask me why I love you
It's obvious your tenderness
Is what I need to make me
A better woman to myself

"I promise," she breathed, tears burning her eyes as she saw the desperation that he tried so hard to hide, "I'm not going anywhere, JC; I'm not leaving."

He nodded, head dropping back down to her hip as he breathed slowly, regaining himself as she closed her eyes, suddenly at loss for words. Her heart was pounding, mind was swimming with thoughts that she had not thought for such a long time. Suddenly, she was overcome with emotion, biting her lip to keep the tears at bay. She didn't know what to do, what to say. He loved her, AJ loved her; she loved both of them. What the hell was she supposed to do? She wasn't supposed to be stressing out about anything right now. The only thing she should be stressing out about at that moment was what to watch on tv, and even that wasn't bothering her.

Prying her eyes open slowly, she caught his gaze, licking her lips as she inhaled slowly. "Can you, can you give me some time alone? I just need to take a nap. I'm suddenly really tired."

He nodded, silent as he got up, placing a tender kiss to her forehead as she reached over, grabbing the pen and paper Brian had left for her on the stand, she scribbing down what had ran through her head, adding more as it ran through her mind.

My love is tainted by your touch
Well, some guys have show me aces
But you've got that royal flush
I know it's crazy everyday
Well, tomorrow may be shaky
But you never turn away

She put the pen down, tears burning her eyes. AJ. The song was about AJ. AJ, AJ, AJ. The flip of her stomach told her otherwise as tears burned in her eyes, the ring a blurred sight before her as realization washed over her.

No, it wasn't.

Chapter 24 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Thank you all who has been reading =] 

"Easy."

"I'm recovering, AJ, not fragile," she snapped, pulling her hand out of his grasp as she stepped into her house, ignoring the wounded look he gave her, both men who had helped her from the car looking at her in confusion as they followed she and the Littrell's into her home. "Don't treat me as if I'm gonna break."

"I wasn't aware I was," he said, she turning to look at him in bewilderment at his comment. "What? I wasn't!"

She shook her head, body moving slow as she followed her mother Jackie up the stairs, holding onto her hand. It had been nearly two weeks since she had been in the hospital, and almost as long since her rehab had started with breathing treatments and extra cardio that had taken it's toll on her attitude that everyone around her had yet to get used to. Though, it had not really began up until a few days prior when they switched trainers.

"You never are aware," she mumbled. "Ever. Never aware."

"What?"

"Nothing!"

He looked over at Brian as he shrugged, just as helpless as he was. "I don't know, man," he said softly, clapping him on the back as he placed her bags on the floor in the foyer and inhaling the scent of their mother's infamous lasagna that Audrina had just mastered herself, though rarely made. "God, I'm so hungry. Hospital food is not something I was ready and willing to get used to; yet, sadly, I was ..."

"I could get used to eating anything."

"Bone, we know that."

He grinned, clearing his throat and looking around the room. "Rok, can I talk to you for a minute? Alone?"

Brian looked at his friend curiously, watching as his dad poked in and out of the room just as quickly as he appeared, grabbing the newspaper and heading back to the living room. "What's up?"

"Her attitude -"

Brian laughed. "It'll get better, Aje; you gotta remember, she's suddenly being pushed to strengthen her heart with cardio she's not used to and she nearly died two weeks ago."

"No. That's not it. That's not it at all and I know it. You know it. Look at her, Brian." AJ looked up the stairs, eyes desperate. "I'm losing her. I know I am. She's angry because she knows she's losing out again. She's angry because she's hurting herself. Maybe she's angry at herself because she knows she's going to hurt me. I don't know ... I just know that she's not Miss Attitude because of this rehab. She's thankful for that. That's not her problem at all. I'm her problem. JC is her problem. She is her problem."

Brian sucked in a breath, licking his lips and studying his friend. "You really think this is what her attitude is all about?"

"I do," he said softly, "I think that these two weeks have proved just how much he still cares about her and just how much she still loves him. She may love me, but she doesn't love me like she loves him -"

"AJ -"

He shook his head, sniffing as he forced his words out. "Can you - can you just find out? I don't want us to pull this along if it's not what she wants. I love her, Rok. I want her to be happy. That's all I've ever wanted. And if this isn't what makes her happy then I'm going to bow out. That's how I am and I'm not going to cause a scene. That's not me."

"J -"

"She loves him," he said softly, "she loves me. But not like that. She loves me like ... like someone would love a boyfriend. She loves him like someone would love their soulmate. How do you compete with that?"

Brian frowned. "I don't know."

AJ smirked. "Yeah, I don't either."

"I'm sorry, Aje."

He sank down onto the couch, sadness in his eyes. "Me too," he said softly, frown deepening. "Me, too."

"Maybe it isn't what you think though, you know? Maybe ... okay, maybe she does love him, but I know she loves you, too. She's not going to give up something that she knows she has that is so good to her and just risk it all. This is my baby sister, AJ; she doesn't take risks like that. The last risk she took ended up leaving her, remember? She's been burnt by that flame way too much and I know she's not going to be tempted to do it again. I don't know if I should be the one talking to her."

"Yeah, you're right," he said softly, eyes wandering upward where she and Brian's mother was slowly coming down the stairs. "She okay, Jackie?"

Jackie startled slightly, in her own little world before interruption. "Yeah, she's all right, sweetie," she said softly, "angry at the world, I suppose. She's half-asleep in her bed."

"I'm going to go see her," he said softly, pushing himself up off of the couch as Brian gave him a sympathetic smile, Jackie continuing her way into the kitchen to start with dinner. "Call me when dinner's ready; I'll bring some up for her."

Brian nodded as he got up, following his mother and leaving AJ in the solitude of the quiet sitting room. Inhaling deeply, he took the stairs slowly, watching as his feet pulled him closer and closer to her bedroom at the end of the hall, the large double doors less inviting than they used to be.

He put a hand to the door, forehead resting against the cool wood and said a silent prayer. "Lord, help us all get through this in one piece, with at least a string of our sanity," he said softly, only for the Man upstairs to hear, "let her get through this and let her be happy again. You know how hard it's been for her ..." He paused, hearing a struggled sob from behind the closed doors. "Rina, baby?" He pushed down on the door handle, one door opening as he peeked in, Audrina lying on her side as she hugged the body pillow to herself.

"I'm fine," she mumbled, voice evident of tears as he closed the door behind him, walking slowly into the room as he heard her voice enter his ears through the television, a small bittersweet smile forming on his face as he took in her body, lying on a flat portal of some sort, adorned in a silver outfit that covered only her breasts, curving down to one side and barely covering her pelvis. She seemed to be the less clothed of the five girls in the video. She sang about a damaged heart. The video. Diddy had released it already.

He crawled onto the bed and placed his cheek in the curve of her neck, inhaling the faint scent of the hospital shampoo that she hated to use, he glad that her scent was slowly coming back after lying in her own bedroom; it always smelling of french vanilla or some perfume that she always wore. "Baby, don't lie to me," he said softly, eyes following the trails of tears that fell down her face. "Talk to me."

"I'm never going to be the same," she said softly, bringing her hands to her face to shield the tears from him, "I'm never going to be me again. Just look at Brian; he's not the same -"

"He is better," AJ corrected, tugging at her shoulder for her to roll onto her back to look at him. "Audrina, things happen in life that aren't easy to explain or have no explanation at all; this just-so-happens to be one of those moments. God wouldn't deal you a deck of cards that you didn't know how to deal."

"Stop being all philosophical," she mumbled, eyes glazed over as she stared at the ceiling. "I don't need philosophy lessons right now."

He sighed deeply, rolling away from her and lying on his back, not wanting to start anything. As he lie there, the silence from her, the music that she helped make and the nagging questions on his mind convinced him otherwise. "What's your problem with me, huh?"

She turned her head, slightly taken aback. "What?"

"You heard me," he said, getting up and looking down at her confused form, "what is your deal? Do you not want to be near me? Do you not want to be with me? Is that it? Do you suddenly hate me? Did I say something to upset you? Because, suddenly, I feel as if you're treating everyone like gold and me like shit. Is this all about JC? Is that what it's about? Because I swear, if you want to be with him, then you need to tell me now because I don't feel like being the stupid ass who got dragged along until the woman could figure out her love life. If you don't love me, you need to tell me. If you love him, you need to tell me. If I'm being paranoid, you need to tell me. I don't want to be sitting here, feeling as if you are angry at me, angry at the world when it could be something completely different. Or, hell, if I'm just being paranoid because I can't read you like I used to."

"How can you say something like that?" She asked, voice soft as she studied him, startled by his accusations. "How can you just throw this all on me? I thought you'd understand because you saw it happen to my brother, but apparently, you don't understand this at all. You don't know how I'm feeling. You don't know why I'm suddenly moody, how I've suddenly started to push you away? You have no idea."

"No, I don't," he snapped, she closing her eyes at the coldness in his voice, "this is why I brought it up. Enlighten me."

"I almost died, Alex," she said softly, swallowing hard as his own heart skipped a beat or two. "I almost didn't make it out of the operating room alive. You think I would suddenly be okay? That I would suddenly embrace life like Brian did? Well, you're wrong; suddenly life doesn't seem so swell. I wonder why the hell I'm even here if God is going to keep putting me through the same ridiculous shit I had to witness my brother go through. Do you think I want to have to rely on people for the next two months and be the pain in the ass burden that I know I will be? That I want to go through cardio rehab? That I want to have to carry an oxygen tank with me everywhere I go 'just in case'? That the thought of not being here and leaving you all behind doesn't run through my brain almost every single second I'm awake? That I don't dream about what life would be like if I suddenly died? Because for the last week and a half, I have been and it's killing me. I don't have the drive to live, AJ; I don't want to have to worry about all of this anymore. I don't ... I don't want to live like this. I don't want to go to bed wondering if it's the last time I'll be here because my heart is like a time bomb. I don't want to wake up and wonder if it's the last time I will wake up; wake up next to you, wake up at all. I'm pushing you away because losing you would be less painful with us apart than if we were together if something would suddenly happen. For the first time in my life, I want to die. I can't deal with this. I can't ... I can't live like this. I don't want to ... I just can't. I can't handle this, I can't deal with this and I don't want to face it. I should have died on that table. They should have let me so I wouldn't have to suffer like this -"

"D, stop," AJ grabbed her face, tears falling down his cheeks at his girlfriend's admittance. "Don't you think that for one second that you will ever be a burden. You, are the love of my life, Drina. You are the love of everyone's life that knows you. Don't say those kinds of things because it will be better. It will get better than it was before and you'll be as good as new. Don't think for one second that you not being here will be better for the rest of us, either. If you weren't here, I don't think I would be, either. Your brother wouldn't be who he is without you being around and God, I don't even know why I'm bringing this up, but neither would JC. You've impacted our lives to the point where we have no idea what our lives would be without you. Don't ever, ever say that life would be better without you, because it wouldn't."

Her eyes fluttered shut in pain, emotional pain as the back of his hand lightly smoothed against her skin, it wet from tears. He should have expected it; the doctor said that he saw it coming the day she was admitted: she was in a depression, a deep funk that would take a lot of coaxing to get her out of. Everything fell onto her shoulders and chest quickly and she had been dealing with those demons silently until that moment. In that moment, he saw the little girl that Brian introduced him to nearly sixteen years ago, just barely thirteen, just barely growing up into a young teenager. He saw the child-like innocence, the naive outlook on life, the wonder if it would all be okay in the end. As everyone aged with the stress that her surgery had given them all, she was rewinding back into childhood, not able to fend off her demons by herself and suddenly in need of that hand to hold, that body to hide behind.

"I love you," he said softly, she leaning into his hand as he cupped her cheek, fingers weaving into her hair. "I'm going to always be here for you, Audrina Brianne. You're not going to fight this alone, all right? We're all going to be behind you, making sure you get better than ever. We're going to be so inspiring it's going to be annoying. You're gonna wanna hit us all," he smirked, leaning down and placing a tender kiss to her forehead and then one to her lips. "I love you so very much for who you are, what you are and what you've done for me. Just know that regardless of where this life takes the two of us, I'm going to always, always be there for you. No matter where I am, no matter where you are, just say the word and I'd be right beside you. I'm not going to let you give up. I refuse to let you go down without so much of a fight. If I have to, I'll carry you and fend off every little demon you have myself. You're not alone. You never will be."

She sighed deeply, nodding against his hand as he put his forehead to hers, eyes dropping closed as he took in the one moment between them that was serene. She had slightly calmed, fingers loosely gripping his own from his free hand, she pulling herself up to wrap her arms around his waist, a shaky inhale followed by a sob escaping her lips as he frowned, placing his chin to her head, hands wrapping around her body and pulling her as close to him as he could get.



He shifted his weight from foot to foot as he stared up at the house, suddenly very aware of the past few weeks and emotions that had been let out of the bag. It was nearing eight in the evening, all but the front room dark with the exception of the eerie glow of the small table light in her room welcoming him.


"Jace?"

He jumped, seeing Brian sitting on her porch swing, nodding as he approached the slightly older man. "Hey," he said softly, looking at Brian as he took in the bouquet of assorted tulips in JC's hand. "For your sister."

"I figured as much," Brian said, an easy smile gracing his tired face. "She'll love them. Those are her favorite."

"I know," he said, dropping his hand back down as Brian moved over so JC could sit. He sat down, setting the flowers on the banister by the swing. "How is she doing," he asked softly, staring at his feet as Brian sighed deeply. "I know it's going to be hard for a while; I remember when you went through it -"

"She's taking it pretty hard," he said softly, "AJ said she said a lot of things that he hadn't expected, but he wouldn't elaborate. He just said it was unlike her. She isn't grasping the essence of how amazing life is when you've been handed a second chance like I did; she's actually going the opposite way."

JC nodded. "For every little thing the two of you share in similarity, there's one trait that the two of you are complete opposite. I think we all expected this."

Brian nodded. "I just wish I could do something; that one of us could. She doesn't want to talk, she just wants to sleep. She hasn't eaten, and when she does, it's a bite or two. The only person she has let in was AJ. I know she said something to him that freaked him out; I saw his face when he left to go pick up her prescription. He was crying. He was visually upset and he wouldn't tell me why. I know we're all shaken up about this, but something happened when they were upstairs and he just seems like he's suddenly grasping onto every little thing he can. He didn't leave her side all night. We had to make him come downstairs to eat while she was sleeping. He exhausted himself with worry that he actually fell asleep leaning up against the wall. This isn't my family, JC; this isn't how we respond to crisis. This took us all and just turned us upside and dropped us on our heads. None of us know how to approach her."

"Sometimes," he said, shaking his head as a small smile crossed his face, "actions speak louder than words. And I can't believe I just quoted her song."

Brian laughed slightly, placing a hand on JC's shoulder. "She's sleeping now, but I'm sure if she knew you were here she'd want to see you."

"I'm not quite sure about that," he said softly, inhaling as he got up, ignoring Brian's quizzical look. "But I will go see her anyhow. Even if it's just for a few seconds." He picked up the flowers, entering the house quickly.

Her door was slightly open, his body turning cold as he was brought back to the past, never wanting to feel the way he just had ever again.

"Drine, where you at?" He set his keys down, shrugging off his zip-up hoodie to block his skin from the cold, eyes wandering around the downstairs curiously. It was nearing midnight, he having spent the last ten hours in the studio, working on more demos for his album. "Audrina?"

The climb up the stairs was like a gradual body weight on his feet. He felt dread form in the pit of his stomach, the door open and her small cries heard from inside. The door suddenly was so far away as he quickly made his way into her bedroom, she sitting on the edge of her bed. "Baby, what's wrong?" He dropped to his knees in front of her, trying to read her face as she looked away, hand over her eyes to hide her tears. "Audrina, baby, you're scaring me."

"Brian's sick," she said, voice hiccuping as his heart sank. "He has to have surgery again. They found another hole. It's bigger than the first one. It went undetected and it grew and now it's a major operation and they don't think his chances are high with how weak his heart is."

"Drina," he said softly, gripping her hands as she looked down at him, biting her lip so hard that her skin had whitened, "he's going to be fine. And after that surgery, you're going to wonder why you worried so much. He's going to be fine. He'll be better than ever and he'll be more in shape than you and I, combined."

"I hope so," she said, tears still falling down her face as he swiped them away, "I can't lose my brother. I don't know what I'd do if he -"

"You won't have to think about that," he said, pulling her to stand with him, "he's going to be fine, Audrina, I promise you. He'll be fine. You'll be fine after this is all over. Life will be better than it used to be, all right? Just, have faith."

She nodded, wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing her lips to his, he tasting her tears as he frowned, holding her tightly to him. "Thank you."

"Whatever happens, we'll get through it," he promised. "We always do."

They'd get through it, just like he said. They'd get through it. "We will," he said softly, willing himself to push the door open further, her sleeping form curled up in about five or six blankets, skin a ghostly pale. Her fingers were clutching onto a pillow, hair matted to her forehead in a cold sweat. He knew what she had said, he didn't have to question AJ, question her. He knew that she was polar opposite of Brian when it came to things of faith and life. She didn't want to go through all the pain, all the rehabilitation. She was depressed, wanting nothing more than to die and not face any more of what life would throw at her. She wasn't as strong as Brian, not alone, anyway. He didn't have to wait for AJ to tell him what she had said: it was still written all over her face, all over the way she was at that moment.

He took in a shaky breath as he crossed the room, setting the flowers on the nightstand next to the lamp. He eyes drifted back to her face, tears forming in his eyes as he thought of the few weeks that had just happened, not wanting to relive the thoughts that had gone through his mind. He was so afraid he'd lose her that he admitted he still loved her. He was so afraid that there would never be a chance that he told her he loved her, while she was in love with another man.

He studied her face, hand moving up to her forehead and smoothing the hair away from her skin and back against the rest of the light strawberry blond waves that bunched up above her head, her eyelids fluttering with his touch. He placed a kiss on her forehead, lips lingering there at the warmth of her skin to the coolness of his touch, hand still in her hair as her eyes slowly opened, focusing on him. "Hey," he said softly, "you okay?"

She didn't beat around the bush as she shook her head slowly, letting her eyes fall shut again as he lie down next to her, her head immediately going towards his chest, hissing slightly at the pain that it brought in her chest. "I don't think I ever will be."

"Nonsense," he said, shaking his head against hers, "you will be. I promise."

"I don't want to be here," she mumbled, "I can't take this pain anymore ..."

He looked over at the unopened bottle of pain killers, knowing full well that they'd at least help her with the pain and sleep. "Take the medicine, Audrina."

"I don't want to," she said, shaking her head as he pulled away, lifting his body up as he took the bottle, taking the two pills she was supposed to take and the water bottle that had been sitting on the floor next to her bed. "Jace -"

"You'll forget about the pain," he said, "even if it's only for a little while. You need to sleep, Audrina. Please, just take them."

She sighed deeply, rolling onto her back and popping the pills into the back of her throat, accepting the water bottle as she shut her eyes, the pills going slowly down her throat. "Happy?"

"No," he said, she looking at him in confusion, "I'm not because you're not. You've gotta stop carrying yourself like this, Rina; you've gotta realize that you were given another chance. Another chance to live life the way you wanted to the first time around. You have to stop feeling sorry for yourself, sorry for the situation and realize you're alive. You get to face another day with the people you love. We get to have you around for longer. Just let them help you, let us help you ... stop feeling sorry for yourself."

She frowned, shaking her head and yawning deeply as he watched her shut her eyes, the medication taking it's toll quite quickly on the sleep front. "I can't do this ..."

"You can."

"I don't want to be alone ..."

"You won't be."

"I can't choose between you two," she mumbled, he looking at her in confusion. "Don't make me ..."

"What?" He frowned, seeing that she was already sleeping. What had she just said?

He lie back down, arm supporting the back of his head as he stared at the ceiling. Suddenly, he wasn't quite sure about anything anymore.

End Notes:
Don't forget to review and let me know what you think!
Chapter 25 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long delay between updates!  I actually was sick all last week and my eyes were swollen so bad I couldn't even see straight.  It sucked.  Horribly!  But I'm back and I'm finally getting the story to the pivotal chapters so I hope to have it gain better momentum shortly!  Thanks for sticking it out and let me know what you think!  This is a shorter chapter, solely based on Audrina, but it's definitely giving a lot of insight. 

"Good morning, beautiful lady!"

She turned her head at the familiar, distant voice that rang in her ears, broad smile forming on her face. "Why, Justin Timberlake," she drawled, batting her eyes, "what brings your sweet little behind to these parts?"

"Well," he said, his own Tennessee twang heavily dripping as he continued their joking back and forth, "I heard this little lady had been sick and had to go for surgery and I thought, 'I should go down and visit her and bring her my Mama's sweet tea and peach cobbler that she loves so much. So, seven days and ten hours later, here I am." He tipped his imaginary hat, stepping down off the landing and into the living area where she was nestled in the corner of the couch, fleece blanket wrapped around her and a pillow propped underneath her feet.

Her ears perked up at the sweets his mother was infamous for, searching for his right hand that had been hiding behind his back. "Please, tell me you brought it!"

"Only for you, darlin'," he smiled, lifting up his hand that held a large brown bag, hearing the liquid swish around in the jug next to the cobbler. "You know Mama doesn't make it for just anybody."

"I knew I dated JC for a reason," she murmured, taking the bag from him and inhaling as she opened the bag, the peach invading her senses quickly. "Peach cobbler, how I've missed you ..."

"I'm sure you didn't just date him to get my mom's food," he chuckled, sitting down on the couch and watching as she leaned forward, taking her empty glass and pouring some tea into it, sipping it with a content smile on her face. "I mean, there was more to your relationship than the tea and cobbler, right?"

She nodded, a slow smile forming on her face. "Lots of sex. Amazing sex."

"Argh," he laughed, shaking his head, "I don't know whether to be proud of JC or disgusted that you had sex with someone I grew up with and it's like hearing about my own big brother and little sister's sex life ... with each other."

"Mmm, incestual," she chuckled, setting the tea back onto the table with the cobbler as she leaned back, head up against the back of the couch. "So really, what brings you all the way out to California when you were in Cincinatti filming?"

"Well," he said, drawing out the last syllable, "we had a six day break and Jess is in New York visiting friends, so I figured why shouldn't I be able to come visit one of my friends?"

She raised an eyebrow. "J, you just came to see me a few months ago."

"All right, so ... JC told me you were up and down with emotions and told me it'd be nice for me to drop by. And, by my own will, I decided to come now rather than later. It's always nice to see you again."

"Yeah, yeah," she chuckled, "you just felt sorry for my depressed ass."

"As hard as it is to believe, Aud, for those six years you and C were together, you were very much a big part of our lives - of my life. And, when you lose something that once was a constant, permanent imprint in your life, it feels weird to have that vacancy. I may not be the greatest at keeping in touch, but I know when someone close to me needs me. JC needed me back then, you need me now.

She scoffed, smirking as he raised an eyebrow at her. "I don't need your scrawny ass. Whoever came up with that idea needs to be put on some looney medicine. I don't need anybody."

"We all need somebody sometimes."

"So who let you in?"

"Your brother. He was just leaving when I pulled in so he unlocked the door and told me you'd be in here watching Discovery Health. Who knew you were so into stories about the ER and baby stories?"

"It's a guilty pleasure," she admitted, shrugging as she turned her attention back to the screen where a doctor was speaking about the woman who had been mauled while riding her mountain bike on a trail with a friend of hers by a mountain lion. "Keeps my mind off of my ailment and on theirs."


"You don't have an ailment," he said, shaking his head. "You had a problem. You figure it out, it gets fixed. Look at your brother; there are no signs of him having an ailment and he almost died on the operating table, too."

"I know."

"I don't know why you're trying to feel sorry for yourself," he frowned, shaking his head and stealing a sip of her tea, "God gave you the gift of life 29 years ago and again a few weeks ago. You were made to be on this earth until the day He decides to take you from it. Not some problem with your heart. You are living, breathing the air that all of the living are breathing, smelling the same flowers we're all smelling. He kept you here because there is something on this earth you are meant to do and you haven't done it yet. I have faith that you're going to be around for a long, long time. Causing problems with us all, making and raising babies, living happily ever after. There's no one else I know that deserves it more than you do. I'm not going to give you the long, long lecture like AJ did or even JC, because you know you were meant to be here. You're just losing faith in yourself. I know this depression isn't about this heart thing. Not all of it, anyway."

She turned her head without a response, letting the silence take over as she watched the doctors then work on a boy with sudden paralysis. Justin was leaning backward on the couch, head tilted to the side to see the television screen, though she wasn't sure that it was the tv he was looking at. She felt his eyes burning into her skin, she trying her best to ignore it as she replayed what he had said back in her head.

He was right; she didn't need to let her worry about her heart take her into a depression. They repaired the problem, and even though she'd have to go get her heart checked more often than not, she could live life without worrying about it, unless something worse came along. She was blessed with life, though it was almost taken from her, and she needed to embrace that it wasn't. She needed every single person she had in her life right now, just as he had said. But why did JC?

Finally, that thought would not die off as she swallowed hard, preparing herself. "J," she asked softly after the show cut to the last commercial before the ending, eyes still glued to the screen, afraid of what he'd say, "why did JC need you?"

She felt his eyes on her as he turned his attention away from the set, eyes settling on the side of her face. "Because he didn't have you anymore," he said softly, not missing a beat between her words and his. "Because he didn't have you to go home to. Because he lost the one thing he had for so long that made him feel alive that he suddenly felt like he had no purpose. Because he knew letting go of you was the worst thing he had ever decided to do in his entire life and he had to live with the regret and he didn't know how. Because I was the only one who understood why he was so afraid and didn't threaten to disown him because of what he brought himself to do between the two of you. Because I," he stopped for a moment, voice becoming faint, "I was the only one who held onto the faith that you two would get back together someday. While everyone was telling him he had lost you for good, I held onto the knowledge that you were helplessly in love with him, as he was to you. I know him better than he knows himself. I know things about him you probably don't even know yet ... but you will. I know you will."

"Like how he bought an engagement ring and then chickened out before giving it to me?"

"He never told me, but I knew. I found it the day he bought it; tucked in his suitcase that he was packing for our yearly trip to the Bahamas. I needed his organizer to add a radio interview for the day after we got back and it was underneath it. Before he could even notice I found it, I put the ring and organizer back and walked away, asking him to get it for me while I finished up in his studio. One of the unspoken things I knew about him that he didn't know I knew about."

"Like what," she asked, reaching for the remote and turning off the television, her full attention on him. When he sat there, silent with a look of anxiety on his face, she only wanted to know more. "Justin, please."

He ran a hand through his short hair, sighing deeply. "I swear, if you let this all slip that I told you; that I even know, I'm going to personally come back and cut all your hair off while you're sleeping." He watched as she nodded, turning her body to fully face him. "The day he left you, he came to my house. Not my L.A. house, but my house in Tennessee. He drove to the airport after he walked out your door and stood in front of mine. Cameron answered the door and he had these ... sunglasses on and a baseball cap tugged real low on his face and when I heard her concerned voice call for me, I knew something was wrong. That, and it was eleven o'clock at night and he was standing on my doorstep, looking as if a Mack truck ran his face over numerous times."

"He asked to talk to me, and I could just tell he was upset. Cam went upstairs while he and I went down to my studio. As soon as I turned on the lights and he stepped onto the landing, I saw him breakdown. I didn't even get to ask him what was wrong and I saw him crumble to the floor. He had his hands over his face and he kept saying over and over that he just ruined his life, that he screwed up so bad and I could only think, 'Oh, God, he cheated on her ...' but when he pulled his hands away from his face, I knew it was worse than that. He cried so hard, Rina. He knew he messed up; he knew he made a mistake. He had it in his mind that he wasn't ready for something that we all knew he was ready for, even if we teased him about it. And I know now that our teasing was part of his chickening out with the engagement ring. I wish it wasn't, because I only wanted him to be happy with you, because that was all he ever was; even on the bad days when the two of you were fighting. He loved every side of you, even the angry side. You were the only woman he was ever with that never pushed him for marriage, for babies; never trapped him into almost being a father without him knowing until it was almost too late - the only one he knew wanted both things so bad, but never, ever pressured him. That was when he saw himself marrying you, being a father. And then he let his mind run and he let his feet take him running, too."

"J," she said, he shaking his head to stop her as he lifted a hand, "please -"

"He still loves you, Audrina," he said softly, eyes burning into hers. "He loves you probably just as much, if not more than he did before. And it kills him to see you with someone who is giving you the same thing he has given and could be giving you right now. AJ is a great guy, who treats you great, but I'm JC's friend first. I want you two to be together so bad that it nearly hurts for me. He has never loved someone like he loves you. I don't think you realize just how much he hates himself for leaving like he did. I know that if he could turn back time and fix it, he would. If he would have listened to himself and not let what we teased him about get in the way, you'd be wearing his ring, and not some ring that AJ thought would cheer you up."

"I know he loves me," she frowned, looking down at her fingers, "he told me at the hospital after I asked him about it."

"And do you?"

She looked at Justin, confused. "Do I, what?"

"Do you still love him?"

She opened her mouth to speak, unsure if she wanted to divulge any answer to anybody at the moment. "J -"

"Hey, you home?!"

She felt her stomach calm with relief as she pulled her blanket off of her legs, scrambling to greet the voice that was nearing. "Drea!"

"Hey, honey," she smiled as she wrapped her arms around her friend, hugging her tightly. "How are you feeling?"

"A lot better," she said, "still slightly emotional, but I guess it comes with the territory."

"They should put you on medication for that," she said softly, pulling away and smoothing her hair against her face. "Just until you let your own body rejuvenate and your mind energizes again. I don't need you thinking the way you did -"

"J's here," she said, breaking off the subject before it got too serious, taking her friend's hand and leading her into the living room. "J, you remember Aundrea, right?"

"Of course," he smiled, getting up and greeting her in a slight hug. "It's good to see you again."

"You too," she smiled, both women watching as he grabbed his keys from the table, Audrina looking at him quizzically. "I'm going to go see what JC's up to. I told him I'd drop by after I swung by here. Besides, two women and me are probably not a good mixture," he said, grinning. "Audrina, just remember what I said, all right?"

She nodded. "I will. Thank you. And thank you for the tea and cobbler, too."

He smiled. "Anytime, mami; anytime." He placed a kiss to the side of her head before excusing himself to leave, the room silent until the gentle click of her front door was heard.

"And what do you have to remember?"

She turned to look at Aundrea, sighing deeply. "All this stuff about JC. It's really ... not something I want to dive into right now."

"Fine by me," Aundrea said, shrugging as she gave her a wide grin. "I brought movies. Lots of movies." She held up her purse, DVD's spilling out over the top as Audrina laughed slightly. "You sure you don't want to talk about it," she asked, seeing that the laugh soon disappeared, only to be taken over by a bothered look. "I mean, you don't have to get all into it, even a general idea is still talking about it."

Audrina nodded, sitting down and pulling the blanket back over her body. "The general idea is what got me into this mess in the first place."

"What do you -"

"I'm in love with two men, Aundrea. And one of these men are going to get hurt, no matter how hard I try not to let him."

Aundrea set her purse down, finally understanding what her friend was getting at. "JC and AJ."

"Yeah," she frowned, licking her lips and busying herself with the cobbler. "And the one I want to be with is suddenly my inspiration for it all."

"Huh?"

Audrina got up, walking over towards her piano and picking up her black notebook, the notebook she used to write lyrics. "Just, look."

Sitting down next to her friend, her eyes watered as she read the bits and pieces of lyrics that her friend had written.

It's not so easy loving me
It gets so complicated
All the things you gotta me
Everything's changing
But you're the truth

I'm amazed by all your patience
Everything I put you through
When I'm about to fall
Somehow you're always waiting
With your open arms to catch me
You're gonna save me from myself

"That one," Audrina said, pointing to the lyrics that were on the top, "is the one I started writing just before he found me and called the ambulance. And that one," she pointed to lyrics scattered below it, "is what I've been playing with for the last week."

My wonderful friend
In times of trouble lend
When all the rest of the world runs away
You open up my heart and make me realize
You would be the one who would stay ...

"Audrina," Aundrea said softly, shaking her head as she read the lyrics over and over, almost in disbelief. "Why are you not sharing this with him? I mean, seriously? These are beautiful ..." She licked her lips, reading another piece of lyrics that were near the top of the paper, small and barely legible.

When you say the things you do
It makes me want to be with you
And everytime that he kisses me
You are always what I see

No, no, no no
You make me forget about him
No, no, no no.

"It's very evident who these are about," she said, closing the notebook to let her friend have the rest of her lyrics to herself until she figured them out. "So ...."

Audrina shrugged, taking the notebook and setting it down next to the tea. "So, I'm in love with him. Kind of hard to stop loving him when he just up and left."

"That would have made me not love him anymore."

"I thought so, too. But apparently, that's just not in my cards. I don't want to hurt AJ; I don't want to just throw it out that I'm in love with he and JC - but JC a little more. He's been so good to me and has been my rock ever since I got out of the hospital, but I can't help what I feel ..."

"I think if you let it, your heart will answer for you," Aundrea said softly, "you've just got to listen."

Audrina sat back, closing her eyes and listening to her friend as she rummaged through her purse for a movie, trying so hard to listen to her heart, to hear the answer without it being said aloud. It was difficult, listening to the one thing that got her in the predicament in the first place. "I don't know why I'm trying to figure it out, Aundrea," she said, opening her eyes and sighing deeply. "He may love me, but he still doesn't want the life I want."

"Well, then, I think you have your answer."

"Yeah," she said softly, shaking her head. "It's worthless waiting around for that when I've already got the life I've always wanted. He'd have to prove himself in order for me to even think about it again."

"You drive your own fate, Audrina; life just gives you a little push. You decide what happens. Don't let a silly feeling of not wanting to hurt someone get in your way. You've put everyone ahead of yourself ever since I can even remember. It's time for you to take care of yourself. Regardless of the consequences."

"You're right," she said softly. "I just hope I can figure out what it is I want more before it's too late." When Aundrea looked at her weirdly, she continued. "Do I want to be content with a husband and kids? Or do I want to be deliriously happy living with my boyfriend who doesn't want to be my husband or give me kids?"

"I think ... either way, you'd be unhappy. You want the kids and the husband, but you want JC to be the husband. This is just one call you've got to handle, Drine. I can't help you."

"I know," she said, sighing deeply. "I don't even think I can help myself."

Chapter 26 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
A quick update.  A short chapter.  A pivotal moment.  Enjoy =]

"How's she been?"

He cradled the phone between his ear as he continued packing, sighing slightly as he thought of the past six and a half weeks. "She has her good days and bad days. With Brian and AJ both having to go to New York and deal with group stuff, she's only had Aundrea, Aubrey and I. She's been a lot more distant towards me the past weeks, too."

"Why? You two didn't have a fight, did you?"

He smirked at his mother's concerned tone, shaking his head at his own reflection in the mirror. "I wish it were that easy. I, uh, I kind of told her I was still in love with her."

"Josh," his mother cried out, he cringing at her disappointing tone, "you know I love the two of you together, but she's happy. She's with AJ and she's happy. I can't believe you told her that. Especially now!"

"She asked me, mom. And it's not like I can lie to her, you know that. I'm a horrible liar to begin with, and then put her face in front of me when I try to lie and it's a failed mission. We were both at our weakest moment and I just admitted it to her after she asked. She found an engagement ring and I lied about it to her and then she asked me again and I admitted it was for her from a few years ago and -"

"You were going to ask her to marry you." Karen's voice stopped suddenly, no lift in her voice as a question, just suddenly stopped. It was an observation, one that she had hoped would happen years ago, and almost did. She had wanted nothing more than for her son to be happy, and for a while, she saw it coming - until he left Audrina in the middle of the night those two years ago.

He cut off her thoughts with his response, voice quiet and unsure. "Well, I was. And then I freaked and ... well, you know the rest."

"What did she say about it?"

He sighed deeply, sitting down on his bed and hanging his head low. "She didn't know what to feel. She didn't know how she felt." He got back up, going towards his dresser and pulling it open, rummaging through it for his old watch, wanting to take it and not the newer one so he didn't lose it. A sharp pain sliced through his finger as he hissed, putting his finger to his mouth as he sucked on the small cut as his mother asked him if he was all right. "I'm fine," he said, dropping his hand from his mouth and pulling all the socks out in search of the culprit from his cut. His heart sank when he found it, phone nearly dropping to the floor as he scrambling to catch it. "Mom," he said softly, "I'm going to have to call you back later." Without waiting for a response, he disconnected the call, setting the phone down and pulling the paper out and unfolding it, suddenly aware of only the words in front of him, not the throbbing of the cut on his finger.

Josh -

No matter how hard I try to understand this, to understand you leaving, I don't think I ever will - even if it was written in big, bold letters on a billboard in front of my home. I never would have pressured you into anything if you weren't ready for it, hell, if you didn't want it. Did I want to be married? Yes. Did I want to have children? Yes. But I loved you. I love you. None of that mattered when I was with you. I didn't need the white dress and the children to be happy. You made me happy. I was content with that; knowing you were by my side and I had the world in my hands. I'm not going to throw a fit and beg you to come back, to stay with me - because I, alone can't make you come back. This is your battle, your choice. I guess, in my crazy little creative mind, that we'd come to this sooner or later. I prayed it would be later, but maybe sooner was better. Sooner is better. I can say my goodbye to what we had, what I thought we had and get on with my life. I pray you never leave my life, I pray you find happiness in whatever you choose - I need to know you will.

Never thought I'd be in this place, it's someone else's life I'm living
Wish I were living a lie.
The hardest part is when the bough breaks; falling down and then forgiving
You didn't kiss me goodbye.
I'm choking on the words I didn't get to say
And pray I get the chance one day

I love you. I'm sorry I couldn't be who you wanted me to be. Thank you for giving me six of the most amazing years of my life that I know I'll never forget.

Audrina

He crumpled the letter in his hand, angry tears forming as he clenched his eyes shut, hearing her laughter ring in his mind, seeing her smile behind his eyelids. That part of the letter, she wrote and sold the rights to a group, it being around the time she took a break from the music industry. The moment it hit airwaves, he knew who it was written by, who it was about.

He threw the paper down, walking quickly towards his bedside table and grabbing his car keys, he running out of his home and quickly to his car, not worrying about locking up. The only worry he had was to get to where he was going.

And soon.

 

 

She held onto the acoustic guitar, eyes closed as she tried to remember the words she had been thinking of earlier on in the day, unable to get to a piece of paper or recorder to make note of the words that played on her mind like a broken record, plagued her like a terminal disease, but suddenly was cured. Suddenly, she couldn't remember the words.

She strummed, hitting a chord and shaking her head. Strumming repeatedly until she hit the right note that sounded like the word, a small smile formed on her face when she remembered.

I don't need a lot of things
I can get by with nothing

Success. She remembered. And just like the plague, his face returned in her mind, she continuing to strum and ad-lib, unsure of what was even coming out, but never stopping, letting the words just flow out.


With all the blessing's life can bring
I've always needed something
But I've got all I want when it comes to loving you
You're my only reason, you're my only truth

A knock on the door stopped her abruptly, she sitting only feet away from the door in her sitting area where her baby grande and acoustic guitars rested when she wasn't using them, lights dim, but bright enough for her to see the car sitting at the top of the curve in her driveway, it too familiar to her.

The knock came again, she setting her guitar down and to the side of her as she got up quickly. He never knocked, he always just came in, just like everybody did. It probably was a big issue, but at that moment, she wasn't too worried about it. "Jace?" She asked, hand to the door as she heard him say her name, it barely audible. She turned the doorknob, eyes widening as she took in his face. "Are you okay?"

He walked in, wordless, watching her as she turned, eyes still on him as she shut and locked the door. "I need you."

She shook her head slightly, taken aback by his words. "You need me? You need me to what?"

They both jumped at the roar of thunder that shook the house slightly, he dropping his keys, watching as her eyes followed them and took the risk, stepping in and grabbing her face and catching her attention, pressing his lips to hers.

I need you like water, like breath, like rain
I need you like mercy from Heaven's gate
There's a freedom in your arms that carries me through
I need you

She gripped his wrists, pulling away in shock and breathless. "Josh -"

"I need you." It was simple, meaning more than any of the times they had short rendez-vous during the tour, his words hitting the chord in her heart that made her vulnerable to him again, letting him take her back into his arms and kiss her, mouth molding against hers like it had always done, fitting perfectly. Her stomach fluttered at the familiar touch that she had not had in such a long time, melting against him, feeling his mouth part slightly as his tongue traced her bottom lip.

You're the hope that moves me to courage again
You're the love that rescues me when the colds rage

He lifted her against him, grabbing her leg and wrapping it around his waist, she taking the cue and wrapping her other around him, mouths never parting as he took the stairs as quick as he could, literally holding her body with one arm as he reached forward, opening up her bedroom door and kicking it shut once they were in.

"Tell me this is wrong," he said softly as he broke the kiss, laying her down on the bed as she sat up, shaking her head and grabbing the collar of his shirt, pulling him to her as she used her legs to move further up onto the bed, his body barely above hers as her head hit the pillow, kissing him again.

And it's so amazing, 'cause that's just how you are
And I can't turn back now

Her skin was hot as his fingers tugged at the hem of her shirt, bunching it up with his fingers and pulling as her body tensed, lust-filled blue meeting frightened green. "You're perfect," he said softly, kissing the newly exposed skin tenderly as he continued pulling the fabric upward and off of her body, kissing the purple scar that rested between the valley of her breasts and a few inches above. "Perfect," he murmured, bringing his mouth back up to hers and kissing her deeply.

Her fingers gripped his shoulders as his hips ground into hers, she feeling the erection against her as she broke the kiss, sitting up and pulling at his shirt, it soon off and joining hers on the floor. His hands unhooked her bra with ease, he pulling her flush up against him as the two of them knelt on the bed, her hands fumbling with the button on his jeans and his untying the drawstring of her pajama pants. Groaning when he felt her hand slide between the two fabrics, her hand bringing goosebumps to his skin as she slowly pumped him, he unable to take it as he grabbed the back of her thighs, she crying out as he put her on her back, laughing at his eagerness while undressing the both of them in mere seconds, yet getting irritated with her pants that got stuck on her ankle.

"Easy, killer," she said softly as she leaned sideways in her laying position to pull the pajama pants off and tug her boyshorts off with it, eyes teasing him as he groaned again, the warmth of their bodies already driving him crazy. "We've got all night, you know."

He nodded, pressing his lips to her collarbone and traveling down her body, remembering it like it always had been. Her hands wove through his hair, gripping it as he flicked a nipple with his tongue, closing his mouth down on it as she cried out. He couldn't help but grin, the sudden feeling of victory racing through his brain.

His hand lowered on her body, sliding between her legs and parting them to grant him access to her warmth, she dropping her jaw as her eyes fluttered shut in a silent moan as his hand cupped her, thumb caressing the bud. "I was such a fool," he murmured, lowering his head as he continued to pump inside of her, "such a fool to let you go."

"Oh, God," she murmured, biting her lip as his mouth continued where his thumb left off, she now gripping the pillow below her head, already breathing heavy as she lifted her head, watching him and feeling her heart beat fast as his eyes connected with hers, suddenly moving away from her lower half and putting his mouth to hers as she tasted herself, reaching between them and stroking him, feeling his shaft pulse between her fingers as she pumped up and down slowly, he pulling away and looking between him, head dropping to her shoulder as she continued her movements, she stopping suddenly as he looked at her, curious.

"Are you okay," he asked softly, seeing the unreadable look on her face. "Audrina, please, say something."

She licked her lips as she tried to catch her breath, eyes searching his. "I need you, too."

He felt his heart jump at her words, he placing a kiss to her forehead and then to her lips. "You don't know how good it feels to hear that."

"I don't think you know how good it is to hear you say that," she said softly, he looking down at her with a sad expression on his face. "How good it sounds ..."

He kissed her again, eyes falling closed as he entered her, she raking her nails down his back as he did so, gripping his shoulders tightly as her legs wrapped around his hips, the feeling one that she always remembered, but thought she had forgotten. Their hips moved rhythmically, slow and gentle at first, but soon, they were harder, more want-filled as he came, she biting his shoulder hard as she followed soon after, he collapsing against her, spent.

"Audrina," he said softly, voice raspy as he slowly caught his breath, watching her as she slowly licked her lips, eyes fluttering open as her head turned to meet his gaze. "I love you. I don't expect you to say it, because I know you've got AJ and -"

"You're right, I do," she said, suddenly angry at herself that she had let what had just happened, happen. She slid out from beneath him, grabbing her clothes and putting them against her body. "This was a mistake. A lust-filled mistake that should never have happened. You have to leave. Please, just leave ..." She stood there, watching as he got up, pulling on his jeans and looking at her incredulously. "JC, please. Please, don't make this harder than it already is for me. I love you, God, do I love you, but this can't happen. We can't happen. Please, just go." She turned quickly, escaping to her bathroom and shutting the door, locking it behind her as she leaned up against the door, tears burning her eyes as she dropped her clothes in anger and frustration.

"Rina, c'mon, talk to me," he said softly, "I'm not going to leave without talking about this ..."

"It's too late to talk about this," she said, voice strained from the tears. "Please, just go ... just leave me alone to pick up the mess we made."

"Audrina -"

"Josh, go!" She was sobbing now, turning her body and leaning up against the door, not knowing that he was doing the same thing on the other side. "Please, just go ..."

"Okay," he said softly, defeated. "I'll go. But just know that I don't regret this. I won't ever. I don't care how wrong it was, I will never regret it because it was with you. I love you, Audrina. When I'm on my deathbed and you're still not speaking to me, I'll still be loving you because that's who I am and what we are. I love you. I'll never stop. Not for anything, not for anyone."

She heard him leave her room and go down the stairs, clenching her eyes tightly as the tears began to fall faster, a sob escaping her throat as the events replayed over and over in her mind. "I love you, too ..."

I need you like water, like breath, like rain
I need you like mercy from Heaven's gate
There's a freedom in your arms that carries me through
I need you

End Notes:
Review, review, review!  Pleaseandthankyou!  =]
Chapter 27 by Bobbilynn

"In light of recent events and surgery that have grounded singing sensation Audrina Littrell for weeks after a life-threatening heart attack that nearly took her life, Littrell has spent the last eight weeks out of the spotlight. In the confines of her own home and rehabilitation centers, she has been getting her body back on track for the world tour that had been planned months before the life saving surgery. Littrell, who has not been seen by the media and fans alike since, finally surfaced last night at the album release party for her boyfriend, Backstreet Boy AJ McLean.

Littrell, looking subdued and dressed for the occasion, was seen shifting from foot to foot throughout the entire night. The singer seems to be uneasy to re-enter the pop life after she nearly lost her own."

Our own guest correspondent, Aubrey O'Day, who is now performing on Broadway as Amber in Hairspray, weighs in on Littrell, who is also one of her closest friends.

"Hi, E!"

Audrina turned her head from lying on her side on the couch, shifting her legs from AJ's lap as she watched her friend, completely dressed in character, addressed the public. "She looks beautiful."

"She does," AJ agreed, squeezing her hand as she sat up next to him. "Broadway was just waiting for her."

She nodded, eyes glued to her friend as she talked to Ryan Seacrest about her.

"She's doing well; it'd be a lie to say she came out of the surgery just the same, because she didn't. I don't know of many people who would, given the circumstances -"

"And those circumstances would be her almost dying on the table." Ryan interrupted her, Aubrey nodding from the larger image of herself, while Ryan was in a picture-in-picture.

"They had difficulties, and like her, we've all been trying to grasp the fact that she almost wasn't with us anymore. But she is and we're all so, so grateful for that. She was sad for a while, knowing that she had this scar as a permanent reminder, but she had us all behind her and she seems to have perked up a lot. She's been very social, very bubbly around friends, but the whole publicity thing scares her a bit. She doesn't want to be bombarded with questions that she, herself doesn't even want to ask. She wants to put that all aside and just move on and be healthy and take care of herself. That's what we all want."

"So she's been cleared?"

"The doctor said he's never seen her healthier."

"And what about her love life? She has been hot and heavy with AJ McLean for months now. Is she still on speaking terms with JC Chasez?"

Audrina tensed, putting a fingernail to her mouth as she watched Aubrey inhale slowly. She, along with Aundrea and JC himself, were the only three that knew of what had happened in the weeks prior.

"You okay?"

She turned, looking at AJ and giving him a nod. "I'm fine. I just don't like people asking about my personal business."

"Who does, honey," he asked, it a rhetorical question as she nodded, turning her head back as he ran his hand soothingly up and down her leg.

"She and AJ are still together, as you stated, they were just seen together at his album release. As for she and JC, they're still respectful, they still care about each other. He's going on tour with her in two weeks so they have to get along for that." Aubrey chuckled slightly, Audrina noticing the uneasiness flash in her eyes. "I think there are more important things in their lives that they have to deal with besides touring -"

She got up, AJ jumping at her sudden movement. "You all right?"

"Yeah," she said, crossing her arms over her chest as he surveyed her, confused. "I just feel all jittery. I think it was that tea I had this morning. Caffeine does that to me."

"All right," he said, getting up and running his hands up and down her arms, studying her face. "If you're sure ..."

"I am," she nodded, eyes fluttering closed when he placed a kiss to her lips, his warm to her cool, chapped ones. She had been on edge since the event with JC happened, constantly licking her lips and now, it was showing. "I think I'm going to go sit at the piano and write."

"Well, I have to get going," he said, eyes still burning into hers as she tried to look elsewhere but at him. The guilt was killing her; he knew something was going on behind her eyes, but he couldn't pinpoint it. "I've got a meeting with producers to mix one of my songs for a video. Call me later?"

She nodded, closing her eyes tightly, keeping her emotions at bay as his lips pressed to her forehead, walking past her. She kept her eyes shut, envisioning him walking through her home and out the door, the gentle click of the door signalling he had left. Sighing deeply and pressing the palms of her hands into her eyes forcefully to keep the tears at bay, she cried out in frustration, walking through her kitchen and living room, heading for the door that led her to the studio that she had built in the basement. It was used only rarely, she always using JC's or AJ's or just going into the city herself to record. Now, now wasn't any different. She wasn't recording, she was just playing.

She shut and locked the studio door behind her, not wanting anyone to disturb her in the middle of her mope and pity session, it only a party of one. She opened up the glass door, looking in at the piano, acoustic guitars and drumset that sat in front of her. Immediately, she stepped towards the piano, sitting down and pressing down, the chord striking a familiar memory. One that brought her back to when she was not even twenty, just a baby in her adult eyes now, so young and innocent and so naive.

"... and you'll get to meet who you'll be touring with. I don't want you to be touring with your brother because it will be too easy. So, for the West Coast dates, you'll be touring with your brother's competition. Are you ready to meet them?"

She stood next to Johnny, confusion etched in her eyes. "Meet who?"

Joe, the then-manager, laughed from in front of her. "Only the second-best selling boyband in the world!"

That was the moment her heart had skipped a few beats, maybe had stopped all-together for a few moments as the answer settled into her head. She was touring with them? Not only would her teenaged crush kill her heart, but her brother would not speak to her for weeks after the tour was even over.

He pushed her gently by the small of her back, leading her into what looked to be a gymnasium, but was really a rehearsal hall on Joe's property. It was loud, voices and music bouncing off the walls and echoing in the large room, mirrors lining one wall while memorabelia from her brother's group, along with the group that was now goofing off and carrying on in front of her.

Except for him.

Her breath caught in her throat, hitching as she took a slow, uneven inhale, Johnny and Joe walking past her and speaking to them about the upcoming tour, she just a wallflower to them then.

He was singing softly, almost too softly. But she heard him; she heard every word that escaped that beautiful mouth of his.

You sheltered from harm
You kept me warm, you kept me warm
And you gave my life to me
You set me free, you set me free
The finest years I ever knew
Were all the years I had with you

"Keep going, C!"

His eyes drifted upward, not towards the voice that was fast approaching the piano, but to the petite girl who stood with a foot barely in the door, eyes glued to his, heart pounding after getting caught. Instead of him stopping, a small smile crept to his face, acknowledging the voice that joined him for the chorus, but not letting her break the gaze they held together.

I would give everything I own
I'd give up my life, my heart, my home
And I would give everything I own
Just to have you back again

She stepped forward slowly, suddenly very, very cold in the very warm room. His eyes followed hers, every so often dropping to make sure his fingers were moving to the right keys but always returning to her. She was beautiful; she was untouchable.

She was the Backstreet Sister.

You showed me how to love
What a time, what a time
You never said too much
But still you shared you cared
And I knew from watching you
And nobody else could ever know
The part of me that can't let go

"Drina, c'mere."

She jumped at the change of voice, of tone, seeing Joe extending his hand for her to approach where he was standing, in the midst of a half-circle of men, Johnny included. Breaking her gaze completely as she defeatedly walked towards him, she felt the warmth to her back, the fleeting feeling of eyes on her as she glanced back, assumption correct. The smile was still there, shy and sweet.

"I want you to meet your headliners," Joe smiled, putting an arm around her shoulder, she shying away from the man her brother had not favored too much from the get-go. He always reminded Brian of one of the lonely men who was touching with just about anyone to just get his rocks off; suddenly, she felt the same way. "This is Lance, Chris and Justin. Chris is the oldest, though he acts like the youngest; Lance is the little businessman of the group, makes me proud; and this is Justin, one of the two main singers of the group. They've been going over choreography for the new songs and working their behinds to the bone."

"I'm pretty sure Drina knows who they are, Joe," Johnny said, correcting him with a small, tight smile on his face. The two men spoke to the three younger ones as her eyes went back to the sounds of the piano, two voices blended perfectly, one taking higher notes while the other complimented the harmony with his slightly lower. She couldn't see him from where she stood, Johnny's head in the way.

"C'mon," a voice said, tugging at her hand, bright blue eyes smiling down at her as she jumped at his touch, "I'll introduce you to JC and Joey."

She felt her cheeks redden at being caught staring, nodding slowly at Justin as he continued to hold her hand, leading her away from the four men and towards the other two. "Hey, Cassanova, Numb Nuts!"

Both men looked over at the two, smiles on both of their faces. Joey stopped singing, but JC continued, listening as Justin rattled off some annoyance with Joe, Joey laughing. "He really thinks he's like, our best friend ..."

Nobody can love you
Love you, love you
Love you like I do

She grinned, his eyes lighting up as he smiled back at her, finishing up the song and leaning back, away from the keys. "Hi, Audrina. It's good to see you again."

Justin stopped talking, confused. "Wait, you know her?"

JC laughed, looking at his friend incredulously. "So you do you, Justin. We met her at the Grammy's."

" ... We did?"

Audrina couldn't help but smile widely at his complete obliviousness, shaking her head at him. "They didn't tell you my last name, did they?"

Justin shook his head. "Should I know? Because, looking at you, you suddenly do look familiar ..."

"Littrell, dumbass," JC laughed, Joey letting out a guffaw from behind them, Justin's jaw slacking.

"This, this is Brian's baby sister we met? God, she looked older when we met her before!"

"That's because I had a pile of make-up on and my hair was done," she chuckled. "And I was in a dress."

"Oh, Jesus," Justin mumbled. "I feel stupid. How did I not know it was you?"

"I'm pretty sure C was the only one who did," Joey replied, nudging JC as he shot a look to shut him up, gaze dropping back to his hands as he touched the keys gently, making soft sounds rather than music. "J, let's go get the other two so we can practice, all right?"

"But I - I'm still -"

"Let's go."

"But we -"

Audrina laughed, shifting from foot to foot as JC got up, walking around the piano bench and standing before her. "Hi," she said softly, the red creeping back up onto her face.

He chuckled, leaning up against the piano and studying her. "I like you this way."

"What way?"

"Not dressed to impress. You look happier."

She smirked. "I like to dress up, but not to go out with my own brother."

"I'll have to remember that."

"Why would you -" She looked at him in confused, both heads turning as Johnny called JC to go rehearse and for Audrina to come with him as they went to go over wardrobe for her.

As she was walking out the door, she turned, the bright blue eyes that had been watching her earlier were watching her again. And though most women would be taken aback by the watchful eye, she couldn't help the grin that formed on her face as she waved her hand slightly to say goodbye, his grin widening as he lifted his own up to his waist to respond. And, even as the door fell shut with a satisfying 'click', she couldn't help but turn and look at it, picturing the body behind it and the eyes that would probably never leave her mind.

She pushed her hands roughly to the keys, annoyed with herself. She made a mistake. A horrible mistake with someone she should have just gotten rid of from her life a long time ago and now memories were all flooding back with him in it and she couldn't shake him. She couldn't shake the feeling that she was betraying herself in some way that she didn't even know.

 

 

He lay in bed, one arm underneath his head supporting it as he stared at the ceiling. He was supposed to be packing to get ready to leave for Chicago where he and Audrina would be doing one week of rehearsal before doing a show in that very venue the night after. But, there he was, lying around with clothes sprawled out all around him as if his suitcases had thrown them up, emotionless, blank.

The more he thought about it, the more he felt like it was pointless to even be around her. Why? So she could just practice her silent treatment on him some more? So that when she looked at him, it felt as if ice were going through his body? She called it a mistake, he called it reason. It happened, not because of it being a mistake on his part, but it was a reason. They belonged together. He knew it, and nearly the entire world knew it, too. The only regret he had was that it happened in the form of adultry. It happened on a whim, something that he just had to do, otherwise he'd regret it.

And he didn't. He didn't regret anything that dealt with her.

Except for leaving.

His life was dull without her; lollygagged just as much as a toddler did when they knew it was bathtime. Life just happened as he sat back and watched, going through the motions without emotions and just let himself grin and bear it. Life with her had meaning; it brought a smile to his face. Now, he could care less to smile, could care less about anything. She made him happy and his happiness was gone.

Maybe he'd find love again. But he didn't see it happening; not when he was still so in love with the woman whose heart he broke, breaking his own in the process. In order to find love, he'd have to get over her. There was where his problem lie: he didn't want to stop loving her. He didn't want to get over her. She was it for him. He had known it from the start; had known it the day he spotted her at their video shoot, in the video that that was the end of him as he knew it. His life would consist of his music, her and the two of them together. That was all that mattered.

It was hot, he had noted. All the bodies crammed into a small space for the shot made for a humanized sauna. Justin, basking in the glory of not being in the crowd and sitting in the director's chair as they spoke; Lance still in his trailer getting ready; Joey being Joey and hamming it up while he watched Wade "Joe-ify" himself to perform in the dance break since Joey still hadn't healed from his previous injury; Chris being the womanizer and macking on the girls like it was his career. They were all smiling, laughing it up while he felt like ripping his clothes off and streaking through the shoot towards his trailer where he could just throw himself into the refrigerator that was large enough to feed a family of 50.

The only thing that brought a smile to his face that day was the phone call he had gotten from Audrina, who was shooting her own music video for 'Not To Me', a song that she hated but management had decided to release anyway. She had complained about the song, told him she had dyed her hair for the shoot, and had been made into a 'Bubblegum Tart' in a pair of low-riding leather pants and a tanktop that said 'Flirt' on the front.

"I'm twenty-two, JC. Not 16. I'm not selling sex. I'm not them."

"Just think of it as acting, baby," he had said, laughing slightly as he pictured her on the other end, standing with the phone at her ear and lip jutted out in a pout. "Just, acting. Wrap the video and come be with me. Keep me sane before Justin and Chris go at it again."

"Argh, they fighting again?"

"Yeah," JC said, shaking his head. "He wants to work on his solo stuff so bad and Chris keeps telling him he's betraying us."

"What do you think?"

"I think that he's twenty-years-old, he should be able to do something he wants as a person ... as long as it makes him happy."

She gave a hum of agreement, he hearing them call his name so they could go over the video. "I have to go."

"Okay," she smiled, "have fun. But not too much fun. Don't let any girl take advantage of you," she teased as he laughed. "I might kill her ..."

"You know you're the only one who can do that."

She laughed. "All right, go. Go before they kill you for holding up the schedule."

"I love you," he said softly, "three months being in the same state and not seeing you is killing me, Rina."

"I know, me too," she agreed. "I love you, too, baby. Now ... go!"

He hung up with her shortly after, shoving the phone into his back pocket and jogged off towards the set, already hearing Joey mocking him.

And now, here he was, standing in the beginning of a very hot, very small tunnel, waiting to walk through it and have nameless girls grope at him and make pretend advancements in an act of seduction. An act of 'dirty pop', as the director had stated, a wicked grin on his face. It hit him then that he knew he was crazy about her when the thought of other women touching him bothered him, worried of what she would think.

To make matters even more screwed up, she'd probably get a thrill out of seeing him all uncomfortable with the women all over him because that was how she was.

He heard the beats to cue him, seeing the camera zoom in on his face as he started to sing, forgetting all about the heat, all about the hands and concentrated on the song. Concentrated on strutting through the tunnel and flirting every so often, more so addressing the camera, addressing the audience that was behind it.

He felt hands all over his body. Felt them trail and linger down his stomach, his chest, over his back, his shoulders. He felt a hand cup his chin as he turned to look at the girl and then back at the camera, eyes scanning the body of a light brown-haired woman, dressed in a white tanktop, a purple jacket and dark low-rise jeans as she turned in a full circle in front of him, ending up against the wall. His eyes met hers and he couldn't help but grin as he recognized her.

Audrina.

He tried to maintain the focus he had, quickly shaking the grin off of his face and barely hiding the shiver he felt when her hand skirted from in his hair and down his chest as the girls had, fingers delicately playing downward on the side of him, she rolling her body as she arched away from the wall, hips rocking into him. Focus, he needed to focus.

"Cut!"

He stopped singing, mouth still slightly agape from being mid-sentence from the chorus, turning his head quickly and seeing her, standing on her tiptoes to see his excited expression. He laughed as her body dropped from sight, seeing her weave her way through all the conversing extras and jumped on him, her legs wrapping around his torso and he wrapping his arms around her waist as he kissed her. "How the hell did you get here?" He asked, laughing as she dropped from up on him.

"The shoot finished up early," she shrugged, holding his hands and swinging them idly inbetween them. "Happy to see me?"

"Did you not see my expression when I realized it was you," he asked, laughing and reaching up and tugging on her locks. "You did color your hair."

"Only temporary," she replied. "I prefer being blonde or redhead."

"I prefer us being alone, but I don't see that happening anytime soon," he mumbled, placing a kiss to her lips and groaning as he pulled away, hearing Justin and Chris going at it again; this time about Justin's 'solo' time at the end of the video. "I prefer being away from here, too."

"Away is nice," she agreed, turning her head to look where he was, eyebrows furrowing in disbelief. "Hey! Dumb and Dumber! Cut the kid stuff already!"

Justin and Chris both stopped arguing, turning towards the voice that had hollered at them. "Hey!" They both yelled out in unison, Justin stepping away from Chris and away from the argument and jogging up to her, hugging her tightly, Chris doing the same shortly after. "What are you doing here?"

"Video is wrapped, so I came here to watch."

"And give me a heart attack," JC chuckled. "She was in the tunnel!"

"What? No way!"

"Yeah. Go see for yourself," he said, gesturing over to the director who was now playing back JC's shot. Justin and Chris both walked away, wanting to see. "At least I'm almost done."

"Aw, it'll be over before you know it," she smiled, squeezing his hand as Joey called him, she walking over towards where Justin and Chris were, watching with them as they laughed at JC's reaction to identifying the woman that he had should have known all along but didn't recognize because of her hair.

"We've gotta get those two boxing gloves or something," Joey noted as JC approached him, nodding. "Pretty soon, I think that's what it's going to go down to."

"You know, I'm hoping for the best, but I think so too, Joe. They can't even stand to be in the same room anymore."

"I'm just trying to bask in all the glory we have left," Joey said softly, "I have a feeling this isn't going to last much longer."

"Joe -"

"I'm serious, Jace. Look at him. Justin, I mean. He's wanted to do this solo thing for so long and now he has his chance. He's not going to let it go and I know he's going to be successful. Why stop a good thing? He's going to keep pursuing bigger and better and we're all going to be left in the dust. I just pray that if you decide to go on after this, you will be just as, if not more successful than him."

"Joey, we're not going anywhere."

"Ugh, I wouldn't believe that if I were you," Joey said, patting him gently on the shoulder as he limped away, walking towards his spot on set so they could film him in the midst of the crowd. "It won't be the end of the world, JC," Joey said as he stopped, looking at his older friend, "it'll only be the beginning."

JC nodded, watching Joey sit about a hundred feet away from him, his eyes traveling towards Audrina who had become the center of attention, standing in between Justin and Chris as the three of them laughed and carried on like nothing had just happened between the two men. He smiled. It may or may not have been the end of the group, but he only saw her in his future.

She was it. She was what he had been waiting for his entire life.

He clenched his eyes shut, feeling her hands skirt down his body as if it were yesterday. It was then that he made the decision: they were made for each other and if she didn't see that, he'd prove it to her, no matter how long it took.

Chapter 28 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Yay, an update!  :]  I want to thank you all for reviewing, I know I've slacked on responding, but I want you to know I read them all and I appreciate them so much.  It's always good to hear what someone has to say about your story, and I hope you continue to let me know what you think!

Waking up in a new city always brought on major confusion to her, regardless of how many years she had under her belt doing so. Obviously, Chicago was nothing different.


"Miss D, you have to get up now."

"I'm up," she murmured, forcing her tired eyes open as the sunlight poured through the blinds and into the hotel room, she pulling the covers over her face so that she could get used to her eyes being open in the light once more. "Can you bring me some tea, please?"

"Already done."

She pulled the blanket from her face, getting up and watching as her assistant, Rebecca, made her way into the room with a mug, gently handing it to Audrina as she smiled appreciatively. "You're too good to me, Bek," she murmured as the hot liquid went down her throat. "Too good."

"I try my best, Miss D. I'm going to get my things in order and then come back for yours."

Audrina nodded, waving off Rebecca as she closed her eyes, leaning up against the headboard and sighing deeply. She felt off with the time change, even having been there already a week. Her entire body was exhausted with the long hours, the stressful environment she had been putting on herself playing the game of hide-and-duck-away with JC every time he made an appearance in the area she would disappear. She was tired, and though she knew where she was, she felt like she was lost.

She threw the covers off of herself, the cool air already prickling her skin as she shivered. Peeling off her tanktop and shorts, she rummaged in her bag for clothes to put on, not looking forward to yet another photoshoot. Another photoshoot that dealt with not hiding or ducking from the one man she was pretty good at doing both of those from. She didn't bother to get ready; they'd put her make-up and wardrobe on her when she got there. She wasn't there to impress anyone; she wasn't even an impression on herself.

She went into the bathroom, tugging her hair into the high ponytail and studying her complexion. Ruddy from sleep and exhaustion from the last few days, she splashed cold water to her cheeks, picking up her toothbrush and just continued to stare at her reflection. "God, thankfully make-up can do wonders," she mumbled, "how could someone want to be with someone who looks like this? How could two men want to?" She sighed deeply, toothbrush hanging out of her mouth as she heard Rebecca enter the room once more, she moving around in the bedroom a few feet away. "I'm hopeless," she mumbled, toeing the door closed as she let her head drop, ashamed that she had let herself fall head over heels for the one man who she thought she had lost forever ago and fall deeply for a man that she was attached to, but could not get attached to because of the other.

Couldn't she just have both? Shame her family and turn to whatever religion it entailed to be with the two of them? Not that she really would complain about having just one.

She paused. She had one. What was she thinking? Why was she complaining?

Because it wasn't the other man.

She hadn't seen AJ in a couple of weeks, hadn't seen JC since the night before. Who was the man she missed? The one who was within arm's reach. Not the man who was states away.

She sighed once more, pulling out the toothbrush and tossing it to the side of the sink in a huff. Why was she letting herself get so far into something that wasn't worth it? She made it perfectly clear that she didn't want to be with him, that she couldn't. So why fret about it? It would give her premature wrinkles.

Then make-up would really hate her.

She patted her face with her hands, glancing down to the less angry, less purple scar that adorned her skin. After numerous talks and sometimes fights about it with Brian, she nearly (keyword: nearly) forgot about it for the most part. She wore it with pride, though sometimes it was guilty pride, knowing that she hadn't wanted it and chose to want to die before having it. She hated herself for thinking that way, but it was a moment of raw truth, one that she couldn't take back. (Though, there were moments that she wished she could take back ... moments of decisions and moments of weaknesses that she'd rather forget).

"Miss D, are you ready?"

She turned, opening the door to look at Rebecca and nodded. "Yeah, I'm ready."

Rebecca gave her a sweet smile, opening the door and leading the way towards the elevator. "So you have a photoshoot in an hour, interviews set up for the evening and the rest of the night for yourself before Mr. Wright starts pushing for harder rehearsals. Mr. Chasez will be at all of the above listed as well, so you won't have to be bored alone."

She forced a smile, nodding. "Sounds great."

"You know, the media is calling for a complete turn-around from you. They're expecting you to do something daring with this tour. Is that in the cards?"

She laughed at Rebecca's interview-like question and shrugged. "It's going to be a lot different from the promotional tour, that's for sure." She watched as the elevator climbed up to the suite that she had, coincidentally one of the two on the floor (who would have guessed JC was in the other?) and on the top floor, right in the way of her fear of heights. "Do we know what they plan on doing to me for this photoshoot?"

"I think they're incorporating a lot of your music into it," Rebecca said, looking at her PDA and nodding. "Yeah, it's for more t-shirts that Johnny wants merchandise to sell since there aren't any pieces of clothing that have both you and Mr. Chasez together."

She nodded, stepping into the elevator and staring at the floor, refusing to acknowledge that it was about to move, about to plummet to her early death.

Elevators were also a fear for her, if it hadn't been noticed.

"Hold the door, please!"


"Crap," she mumbled underneath her breath as Rebecca caught glimpse of the annoyed expression on Audrina's face, smiling to herself as she caught the door, not wanting to get in bad with the other headliner. "Argh, damnit ..."

"Miss D, are you okay?"

Audrina looked up, taking in the small blonde woman who was definitely born and raised in the midwest, accent, mannerism and all. "Just, dizzy is all. My ... chest hurts."

Rebecca looked at her, eyes widening as JC's startled voice rang in her ears, alarmed. "Miss D -"

"Audrina, what's going on?!"

She held her hand up, silencing them both. Really, telling them both that her reason for suddenly panic had been the body that had just entered the small compartment that she was deathly afraid of, adding on to her fear of death. But this time, it'd be death by blue eyes. Blue eyes that she loved.

A bittersweet death. What a fucking way to go.

Turning her head and making a point to inhale slightly, she caught Rebecca's gaze and smiled. "I'm all right. Thanks, Rebecca."

He sighed deeply from the other side of the elevator, seeing him shake his head out of the corner of her eye.

Ignore him. Ignore him. Just, ignore him. If you close your eyes, he'll go away ...

"Miss D?"

She pried her eyes open, looking at Rebecca, who could decide if she should still be concerned or amused. "Yeah?"

"Are you sure you're okay?"

The doors opened as her mouth did, relief flooding over her face as she nodded, watching JC step out quickly. "I'm fine. Just ... fine."

In reality, she was mentally kicking herself. How could she be fine if she couldn't even be near him? How was this photoshoot going to work if she felt as if she'd be in a state of panic with him feet, inches, up against her for photos? How was she going to deal with that?


"All right," she sighed, finally turning to look at herself in the mirror after they had literally jumped on her as soon as she walked into the door, yanking her hair from it's ponytail and putting liquid foundation to her face before she even knew what hit her, "let's see this ..."

She inhaled shakily, definitely seeing a new piece of her that she had yet really seen, except for when she shot the video for 'Schizo' however long ago. Her hair, parted closer to one side, was pulled into a low, tight ponytail, hair teased and curled to the point where it was seen from in front of her; make-up dramatic mixes of grays, deep purples and what seemed to be silver with black eyeliner and nude lips. The make-up artist believed in the theory of making one statement, not having too much on such a 'pretty face'.

They put her in jeans with boots that overlapped the denim, resting nearly at her knee and in a deep red and black heart-shaped corset that was so tight, she wasn't sure if she had a waist or a cheerio for a midsection.

"Good God," she said softly, heart pounding against her chest. It didn't even look like her. She looked like someone out of a picture, someone she always longed to be, someone she always failed to get towards. Suddenly, she was her. This was exactly what Schizo had implied, exactly what she was aiming for.

"Miss D -" Rebecca stopped, eyeing her. "Whoa."

She turned, looking at Rebecca incredulously. "I know. But ... whoa, bad? Or -"

"No, you look amazing, Miss D," she said softly, smiling widely. "If you weren't trying to hate him so bad, I think that Mr. Chasez would be putty in your hands."

She blushed. "Thanks, Rebecca, but that's not what I'm aiming for. I don't ... I don't think so, anyway."

Rebecca laughed, putting her hand to her mouth. "Your secret is safe with me."

Audrina sighed, shaking her head as Rebecca left the room, she following her slowly.

"Audrina, you look great! Simply, amazing!"

She blushed again, hiding her cheeks with her hands as she smiled widely, unaware of just how many people were staring her down. "Thank you, Alejandro."

"Let's start with your shots first, then we'll bring JC in," he grinned, taking her hand and tugging her towards the set they had behind them. "Still the same playlist as before?"

She raised an eyebrow, "Alej, I haven't been in a photoshoot with you in years -"

"And you haven't changed," he grinned, snapping his fingers as music began to play overhead, she grinning loudly as 'That's the Way I Like It', one of her brother's songs came on, she stepping onto the platform and grinning back at the camera.

It was then that she realized that she felt at home again. From then on, it'd be for her, no one else. She couldn't worry about anyone else but her. Her life had already been cut short just by a simple ailment with her worrying and sitting at home wasting it away. She was going to live again. Regardless of who came with her.

"God, I forgot how much the camera loves you, Audrina," Alejandro said, happily clapping his hands as he pulled away from his camera. "I forgot how much I loved you!"

She grinned, posing as he continued to shoot, turning and facing the other way, head over her shoulder. "I forgot how much I missed working with you!"

Alejandro laughed from behind the lens, stopping abruptly to pull out what he had already shot. "Black and white!"

She chuckled, shifting on her feet as she began singing, not caring that everyone had stopped to listen to her sing loudly and dance to yet another dance song. Shaking her head side to side and putting her hands to her hips, she froze, a voice breaking her impromtu concert into a mute performance.

It's tearing up my heart when I'm with you
But when we are apart, I feel it too
And no matter what I do, I feel the pain
With or without you ...

"All right, it's time for shots with JC," Alejandro noted, nodding for a suddenly fidgety JC to stand up with her, he slowly making his way up as she licked her lips, trying to continue with her composure, to go on like it didn't bother her in the slightest.


"Get warmed up while I get this film ready!"

JC felt his heart thud in his chest as he stepped closer to her. She looked even more amazing up close then when he was standing merely feet away from her. The heels put her nearly at eye level, though it seemed like she wasn't all for the eye contact. He remembered that she had loved this song when it was on radio, and for the longest time, it was the only song he caught her singing.

Taking in a breath, he put his body close to hers. He was going to prove a point with her, he was going to make her see that he was the one she wanted, the one she needed.

"I do want seductive, so don't get all shy on me now, Littrell! You too, Chasez!"

He chuckled, looking over at Alejandro. "Then get them to change the music to the next song!" He knew the next song, he knew what it had done to her when they were together when he'd be in the studio with her. He was used to being at shoots with her when she was shooting for her album cover and tour books, he knew her playlist like the back of his hand. He was pretty sure everyone knew.

He heard the beats, a triumphant smile slowly creeping to his face as she turned her gaze to him, eyes wide as he crooked a finger at her. With no hesitation, she stepped into him, one hand snaking up her hip and to her waist, pulling her even closer while the other touched her face, she breaking the gaze and looking forward. So she wanted to play hard? He'd give in, he'd play dirty.

He put his mouth to her ear, waiting for her reaction. There was a slight shiver as he grinned, beginning to softly sing the words to her, hands at the hollow of her throat as her head tilted to the side, almost inviting him to devour her neck.

Girl, you're turning me on
You're such a fine lady
And sugar, more and more
You're driving me crazy
'Cause you're just what I want
And I'm just what you need
Oh, it's on
I'm gonna make you my baby
Sweet darling, all I can see
Is you and me

He turned her so that they were both facing forward, her backside against him as her hands went up and around his neck, head dropping back against his chest. She smelled good, so good. It was taking all that he had to not take her there, to not care what she thought and rip her clothes off; took all that he had to not just start fighting with her, fighting for her.

He didn't care anymore. This fight was going to make and break a lot of relationships he had. He didn't care; the only relationship he wanted was with the woman that he was holding onto at the moment, the woman he had been holding onto for the last eight and a half years, fighting to get her all those years ago and now suddenly, it felt as if he were back in the same predicament.

Do you wanna be with me

Cause I wanna be with you
Sugar, come and be with me
Come and be with my baby
Do you wanna be with me

Cause I wanna be with you
Sugar, come and be with me
Come and be with me my baby



She found herself sitting behind a baby grand, or that of a replica of, JC sitting next to her as he played the keys gently, a familiar melody haunting her as she tried to figure out what it was without communicating with him, fighting so hard to keep her mouth shut as they set up lights and set up shots around them.

But suddenly, he spoke.

"Justin wrote this about us," he said softly, her gaze lifting to his eyes as he turned slightly, still playing the piano and gazing at her momentarily. "In conversation, just in passing, I said I couldn't believe that something like you had happened to me. I saw the gears shift the moment I said it, and after weeks of him being tucked away in his hotel room, he came to the studio with this. He said that after years of watching the two of us together, he saw our reactions to every little thing that we did together, every little thing that the other did to us. Touches, looks, everything. It was his song about something he had wanted for so long and saw in us."

She licked her lips, leaning into JC's arm as he paused, watching as her hand slid beneath his, playing the exact notes he had been playing earlier. "JC," she said, turning her head to look at him, his face merely inches away from hers as she studied his eyes, "sing it to me. Please?"

His gaze held to hers for a few moments before turning and looking back down at the keys as her hands slid away, resting on the space between her leg and his, his voice entering her ears. At that moment, it was just the two of them, just that song and just the emotions that both people carried, still very much in love with the other - regardless of what she said and what he hid.

So many times, I thought I held it in my hands

But just like grains of sand, love slipped through my fingers

So many nights I asked the Lord above
Please, make me lucky enough
To find a love that lingers

Something keeps telling me
That you could be my answered prayer
You must be heaven sent, I swear
'Cause

Something happens when you look at me
I forget to speak
Something happens when you kiss my mouth
My knees get so weak

Could it be true, this is what God has meant for me
Baby, I can't believe
That something like you could happen to me

She felt tears form in her eyes as she listened to him sing the song she had heard numerous times; the song that she thought Justin had written for Britney, but was completely wrong. It took on a new emotion, a new meaning, a whole other world that threw her through a whirlwind, she just barely holding on.

She felt her heart skip a beat or two as his gaze turned to her, holding her attention as he sang the next verse, voice soft and sweet.

Girl, in your eyes
I feel your fire burn
All your secrets I will learn
Even if it takes forever
With you by my side
I can do anything
I don't care what tomorrow brings

As long as we're together

My heart is telling me
That you could be my meant to be
I know it more each time we touch

'Cause

Something happens when you look at me
I forget to speak
Something happens when you kiss my mouth
My knees get so weak
Could it be true, this is what God has meant for me
'Cause baby, I can't believe

That something like you could happen to me

Something magical, something spiritual
Something stronger than the two of us alone
Something physical, something undeniable
Nothing like anything that I've ever known ...

"I don't know how the two of you do it, but the chemistry you have is completely amazing in a photograph," Alejandro stated, breaking the intensity between the two of them. Her hand had been resting on his knee, eyes watching the side of his face as she pulled away, getting up and trying to look anywhere but at him. "I'll be back," she said, walking quickly off set as she heard his parting words to her, heart dropping to her stomach.

I can't believe that you happened to me ...

 

 

She thought back to when she had met him again, his sweet voice filling the room as he played the piano in a vocal warm-up; the shy smile that he gave her, intense gaze that he held for moments at a time. He had caught her attention then, and suddenly, it was all coming back to her again. That man, that man could have been a complete and utter asshole, but as soon as he opened his mouth to sing, all was forgotten and all she wanted to do was be at his beckon call.

She remembered when she'd tour early on with her brother, he being the topic of conversation a few times.

"Brian, the two of you have probably got the best voices out there right now."

"I don't know about that, Howie," Brian said, shaking his head as he took a shot at the hoop with his basketball, "I don't hold a flame to that kid. He can sing. Have you heard his range? I can't even get that on a good day!"

"He really can sing," Nick agreed. "But aren't we supposed to like, hate them or something?"

Kevin laughed from his position on the court floor next to Nick, who was nursing a sprained ankle. "If you want to believe all the hype management is giving us, then yes. But they're just trying to do the same thing we're trying to do, kid."

"I can't believe that some record company didn't try and steal him as soon as that show was done," AJ finally murmured. "He sang the National Anthem a year after it ended and not one person said a thing. They couldn't believe that something so big came out of some guy that skinny, that quiet. He belted those words out like he had been singing that song for years. I don't think I can even name a person who has been in the industry for thirty years who could sing like he had done it."

"That voice is gonna get him a lot of attention, that's for sure."

"I don't get why Timberlake is the favored one; he's going to be the meal ticket."

"What do you think, Drine?"

She jumped from her position across the court from her sibling and cousin, confused. "About what? Who?"

"JC Chasez. You know who I'm talking about, right?"

She nodded. "Yeah, why?"

"What do you think of him, vocally?"

She smirked. "I'm pretty sure he could sing the pants off of anyone he wanted. He doesn't need charm."

Audrina laughed at her thought, shaking her head. How right she was. The man who failed at giving charming lines to women in bars would only have to open his mouth and sing one line and she'd be his as long as he pleased.

Of course, singing wasn't the only thing good about his mouth. But she didn't dare say that aloud. Even now.

She walked down the hall towards her make-up room, singing softly to herself and unaware of the body slowly approaching from behind.

Baby, I don't understand
Just why we can't be lovers
Things are getting out of hand
Trying too much
But baby, we can win
Let it go
If you want me, girl
Let me know
I am down on my knees

I can't take it anymore

"I can't."

She froze, feeling his hand touch her elbow, turning her to face him. "What?"

"I can't take this anymore," he said softly, smirking at the slight quote from what she had just been singing. "I want you, Audrina. I want to be with you. I can't stand seeing you with him and I can't stand the thought of you being with him anymore than I already have. I need to have you for me, I need to have you forever."

She stood there, taking in all that he had said, all that he was. Was she ready to throw in the towel and stop trying to pretend like he wasn't there? That he didn't mean anything to her? She probably could have kept up the fight for years to come, but against him? The one man she had wanted for ever and wanted to be with just as long?

She took a step towards him, hands going to either side of his face and pulled him to her, crashing her lips against his.

She had her answer.

Chapter 29 by Bobbilynn

"These pictures are beautiful, Audrina."

Audrina looked up from chewing on a piece of dinner roll, Aundrea looking over the proofs from the photoshoot days before. "You really like them?"

"I love them," she said, lifting up a particular photo of she and JC sitting at the piano, she leaning into him, her forehead against his cheek, eyes settled where his hands were on the keys as she watched him play. "If it wasn't evident that you still loved him, Drine," she said softly, the photo being held between the two of them across the table. "And this one," she said, lifting another of the two of them still at the piano, his eyes burning into hers, she remembering that exact moment that photo was taken, "if it doesn't spill out the love vibes from both of you, then I don't know what that is."

Audrina stifled a slight chuckle, shaking her head. "It's photography, Drea."

"This may be a photograph, but when they say a picture is worth a thousand words, they weren't lying. It's more than photography, it's love. Love that the two of you obviously still have for each other. You slept with him, Audrina. Not years ago, but weeks ago. You aren't like that, and I know you wouldn't do that unless you were still emotionally connected to that person. "

"Drea -"

"I just don't know why you two are fighting so much. I mean, I know there's AJ, but even he knows the connection between the two of you. And he -"

"Aundrea," she stopped her friend, biting her lip. "Something else happened."

Aundrea continued to look at the photos, smiling down at one of her facing the camera, JC's forehead to the side of her head, his smile sweet, eyes closed as she grinned. "What do you mean something else happened?"

"I mean, my heart got in the way again and I kissed him."

Aundrea looked up, hands frozen in mid-lifting of the photo, eyeing her friend from across the table. "You ki-you kissed him?!"

Audrina looked down, nodding as she studied her fingers. "I love him, Drea; I can't help it. I'm in love with two men and I don't know what to do ..."

"You can't be in love with two men."

"But I am!"

"No," she said softly, shaking her head, "I didn't mean you couldn't be, you shouldn't be."

"Don't you think I know that?"

"I'm sure you do, Drine," Aundrea said softly, reaching forward and gripping her friend's hand, watching as she aged right in front of her with everything going on in her mind. With everything she had gone through, both men had been there for her, both men had supported her with everything that came her way. "I know there's one that you love more. I know there's one you want to be with more than the other. As bad as that sounds, you do have to make a choice."

"I know I do. I just ... can't you do it for me?"

Aundrea laughed at the pitiful look her friend gave her, shaking her head. "No one can choose who you love but yourself. With matters of the heart, you need to choose the one who has your heart. The one you know who will handle it with care and not break it."

"They're both bound to break my heart in one way or another."

"But ... which one would you rather hurt by?"

Audrina took a sip of her wine, licking her lips and looking anywhere but at her friend. "The one that could possibly kill me."

 

 

He sat on the edge of the stage, going through soundcheck as if it were an every day occurance. In a way, in his lifestyle, it was an every day occurance. They were going over the pyrotechnics, Johnny watching from the floor directly in front of JC. Everyone seemed to have been enthralled with the lights and the explosions.

Everyone but him.

If he closed his eyes, he still felt her lips against his, felt her hands touching his face. If he thought even harder, he felt her breath against his face when they were taking the photos at the piano. But then again, if his eyes were open, sometimes he could just envision her walking towards him with the broad smile on her face much like she used to when they were together.

He dropped his head as he stared as his hands that were clasped between his legs. It didn't take a super genius to tell him he was madly in love with her; it didn't take a child, either. He made a mistake all those years ago and he was still making up for it. He had confused her, hurt her, lost her ... and his timing was so off when he decided he needed to make it up to her. She was slowly becoming happy again with someone, slowly going into a life that he had wanted to give her and had when they were together.

But it wasn't with him and he was insanely jealous.

"It looks really good, JC," Johnny stated as he broke him from his fleeting thoughts. "Really good. Have you seen Audrina's pyro yet?"

He nodded, sliding off of the edge of the stage and looking up where Johnny was still looking. "I saw the ending of it. It's like a fucking fireworks show."

Johnny laughed. "Takes too much attention off of her, eh, Chasez?"

"She doesn't need all that fancy stuff to gain attention from people. They already are drawn to her."
s
Johnny arched an eyebrow. "Jace, don't tell me you're still trying to get her back."

"I'm not trying," he said, shaking his head as Johnny sighed, content with his answer, "I'm winning." He avoided Johnny's look, watching as she entered from stage left, grinning widely as Aundrea chattered along side her, keeping her attention fully. He watched her as she paused, squinting her eyes and focusing on something opposite of her off stage. Watched her grin widen if it was possible and run across the stage, jumping onto the form that caught her, arms wrapped around her as her legs locked at their ankles, holding her body up as the person held him.

And then she kissed him.

AJ.

His heart sank, watching as AJ lowered her feet gently to the floor, her arms still around his neck. Jealousy plagued him as he watched AJ leaned into her, speaking sweetly into her ear as she smiled widely, her hands gripping the hem of his shirt, standing on tiptoes as she kissed him again.

His heart broke at the scene in front of him. What he saw was a simple girl with a complex heart; one who didn't know what she wanted anymore, even when both men were standing in front of her with what they had to offer.

It was obvious that she cared deeply for AJ. He treated her well, made her happy, kept her smiling.

He could do that. He did do that.

And then he had to go and fuck it all up. Who was to say he wouldn't do it again if he had the chance to make it up to her?

"JC, you ready to do the song with her?"

He looked up, seeing Johnny standing on the stage and looking down at him, Audrina's eyes burning into the side of his face. "I -"

"Jace?"

His eyes slowly dragged towards Audrina, who was looking at him oddly, eyes concerned. "I have to go." Without any other word, he turned on his heel, walking briskly out of the arena, his hollow footsteps echoing on the linoleum floor.

He heard movement behind him, ignoring it as he pushed the doors open to the outside. He needed to breathe, needed to get air before he went crazy.

Leaning up against the wall on the outside, he slid down, knees to his chest as he put his forehead to his knees. "God, I'm such a coward. Such a fucking coward."

"Joshua Scott."

His head lifted at her voice, she standing in front of him with her hands on her hips. "Go away, Rina."

"I will not," she said softly, kneeling so that she was resting on the back of her heels, butt not touching the ground. "Why did you leave?"

"I can't do what I've been doing anymore," he mumbled, looking away to ignore the gaze she was giving him. "I can't keep trying to get you when you're happy with him. That's the only thing I've ever wanted for you ... to just be happy. The selfish part of me wanted it to be with me, but apparently, even though you and I have this crazy little love thing going on, it's not enough. Just ... do me a favor?"

She arched an eyebrow, green eyes dark as she tried to read his face. Her skin began to prickle with the hot air meeting her cool skin, she running her hands down her arms as she waited for him to continue, waited for him to release the breath he had been holding the moment he finished the last sentence. His eyes were as dark as sapphires, bags heavy beneath them. "What has gotten into you?"

"Me? I should be asking you that, too. Kissing me and then suddenly kissing him. I can't play this game of cat and mouse anymore, Rine. Just, please ... "

She stood, watching as he swallowed hard, eyes looking anywhere but at her. "What, JC? Please, what?!"

"Stay away from me. Do me a favor and stay away from me. Not only am I hurting you, but I'm hurting myself. I can't do this anymore. I have said it numerous times ... but I mean it this time. I'm done. I'm wiping my hands clean. I'm in love with you and you're in love with me and AJ. I'm not going to make you choose because I'm going to choose for you. Leave me alone and live the life you've wanted with him. I was so ready to fight with the gloves off but I'm not that man. I have never been that man and you drove me to be that man. I drove myself to be that man. I can't. I just ... I can't." He got up, looking her dead in the eyes, tears brimming in his eyes as her bottom lip quivered, tears threatening to spill from her eyes, "Love is something that's so crazy. Maybe I can't deal with it. Maybe I can, but I can't do something to some man who deserves you just as much as I do. I'm throwing in the towel. I'm done. So please, stop talking to me. Stop looking at me, stop being you around me. Loving you hurts, Audrina. I never thought I'd want to give up on you, but ... now, now I do."

"Josh -"

He held his hand up, silencing her. "I'm done." He wiped his hands, holding them up to show her he had rid himself of their history, jaw clenched as he fought his own emotions. "Done."

"Josh, please!"

His jaw began to tremble as he heard her break, turning away from her and heading for his bus, wanting to be alone.

"Don't walk away from me like this! Please!"

He shook his head, eyes clenched tightly as he stopped for a moment, silence taking over between the two of them. "I'm sorry," he murmured, "I'm so sorry that I even stepped into your life. It was pointless."

"Loving me was pointless," she asked softly, voice hurt. "I was pointless? Those six years were pointless?"

He looked over his shoulder, heart breaking as he took in her emotional face. "You will never, ever be something I regret, Audrina; I just can't go on with you in my life. It'll send me to my grave." He walked away quickly, ignoring her cries from behind him, ignoring the breaking of his heart with every step he took.

This was it, he thought. He finally closed the chapter in the story that he had been longing to finish, longing to bring a happy ending to. He did get one part: the ending, though it wasn't how he wanted it to go. He did it for her, did it for her happiness. How could he promise that he wouldn't freak out again and leave her again? How could he promise her happiness when he didn't know how he'd see himself a few years from now?

That was it. He was meant to be a bachelor for the rest of his life. The one who had the relationships but never kept them. Love them, then leave them. That's what his motto should have been.

But he loved her. He did leave her. And he knew it was the worst mistake in his entire life.

But this was it. There was a man not even two hundred yards away in that arena who was willing to give her what she wanted, give her something that he ran away from.

"Let him," he said softly to himself as he pulled open his bus door, closing and locking it behind him, wanting to be alone. "Let him love her. He'd probably do better than I could."

 

She slammed open her hotel room door, throwing her purse across the room, hearing it slam up against the wall in a hollow thunk. Shoes soon following, she threw them as hard as she could, they also going up against the wall. With a hand up in the air, holding her cell phone, she felt a hand close around her wrist, stopping her.

"What the hell are you on, woman?" AJ lowered her hand, eyes burning into hers. "Babygirl, what's wrong?"

His concerned tone brought out the quivering lip, the watering eyes as she weakened against him, hands going to her face. "Alex ..."

"Audrina," he said softly, coaxing her to sit down on the couch in the living room, he kneeling in front of her and gripping her knees as he watched her cry, unsure of how to take her sudden run of emotions. "Babe, please, what's going on? What are you so angry about?" He reached up, prying her hands away from her face, heart breaking with how hard she was crying, body visibly shaking. "Talk to me, honey."

"I can't," she said, holding her breath to try and calm herself, "I can't talk to you, I can't talk to anyone!"

"You can talk to me about anything, Audrina. Anything. So come on, out with it." He gripped her hands, forcing her to look at him. "I'm waiting!" He gave her a small smile, trying to get her to calm, to crack a smile. "Talk to Jay, baby. Talk to me."

"You're not going to get mad? You have to promise not to get mad at me, promise not to blow up and hate me -"

"I could never hate you, Drina." He paused, looking at her. "Is this about JC?"

She brought her eyes up to his from looking at their interlocked hands, biting her lip. "And you."

"And me," he said softly, inhaling. "Okay, so ... what about?"

"I'm in love with two people ... I can't choose, I can't pick who I want to be with because you both make me so happy and have been there for me when I needed you and -"

"Whoa, girl, run on sentences much?" He tried to crack a joke, it falling flat as he sighed deeply, running a hand through his hair. "Okay, let me get this straight: you love me?"

She nodded.

"... And you love him."

Again, nodding.

"You don't want to choose?"

"No. I can't."

"Who do you love more, Audrina," he asked softly, eyes studying her. "Who does your heart want?"

She sat there, getting up and flailing her arms above her head. "I don't know! I thought I knew and I just ... I just don't know!"

"All right, all right, baby," he got up, quieting her shrieks as he held her arms, running his hands up and down soothingly as she sobbed, he having a heavy feeling in his heart that in actuality, he ... she knew who she'd choose. They both knew. "Let's ... let's play a game I learned."

"I don't want to play a game, Alex," she said, irritated, "I don't want to do much of anything right now."

"No, this isn't really a game, game," he stated, tipping her chin up so that she'd look at him, "it's a game for the heart. A game to help you realize what you don't. And as much as I don't want to admit it, I know where this will go."

"AJ -"

"Just, trust me." He led her back to the couch, sitting her down and sitting down on the coffee table in front of her. "All right, are you ready?"

She sighed deeply, nodding. "Yeah, I guess ..."

"Close your eyes."

"AJ -"

"Just close your eyes, Audrina."

Sighing once more in annoyance, she wiped her eyes rid of the tears that were still falling, sniffling as she shut her eyes tightly, listening to him and trying to stop her tears. "All right, now what?"

"Ssh," he said, quieting her. "Just, keep your eyes closed. Take a deep breath." He watched as she frowned, inhaling deeply and holding it. "All right, release it. Take a few more deep breaths and release them. Calm yourself down and clear your mind."

"Alex ..."

"Just trust me, D. Trust me."

"Fine." She did as she was told, he seeing her slowly relax after the last few inhales. Lifting up her hand, he felt it become limp, smirking. It had worked. So far.

"All right. Now, imagine yourself in the quiet of your room, lying in bed moments before falling asleep. You're all comfy, cozy in your down comforter, buried beneath all the blankets you have, dressed in your favorite pajama pants and tank top. You just had an amazing day and you're completely wiped out. You close your eyes and let sleep take you in and the silence invades your senses." He released her hands, standing up and away from her, wanting to rid her of the sense that he was right there, wanted her to feel as if she were alone. "Imagine you wake up the next morning completely rejuvenated and you smell your favorite breakfast: chocolate chip pancakes being made downstairs. You grab your favorite fleece blanket, that worn out gray one that looks more like a sock than anything else, wrapping it around your shoulders as you walk down the stairs with a smile on your face, walking through the small foyer and into the kitchen, and standing there, inhaling the pancakes, you notice no one is in the kitchen, just a plate of your favorites and you. You take a plate, putting the large pile on yours as you always do and smile when you feel arms wrap around your waist, lips pressing to your sweet spot on your neck. He whispers a good morning and you turn to give him a kiss."

He quieted, seeing her calm features, knowing that this moment would be the moment that would break her. This moment would make or break the two of them. Inhaling a shaky breath, he continued, preparing himself for the already known. "Who is the man, Audrina?"

Her features, once relaxed, suddenly tensed and he saw her swallow hard. A tear slipped through her eyelid, tongue slowly licking her lips as she opened her eyes, meeting his sad gaze. He had been defeated.

"Alex," she said softly, jaw trembling, "I'm so sorry ..."

"What for," he asked, sniffling as he fought back his own angry tears. He knew that he wasn't what she wanted. At least, not fully. He did have a special place in her heart, he knew that much, but he didn't have her heart. The man down the hall in his own suite did. Clueless, naive JC. "You can't stop what your heart feels. You can't help who you love, D. I'm just glad I got to be loved by you for as long as I did. He doesn't know how lucky he is to have you, Audrina; how much of a blessing you have been to me. He doesn't know how amazing you are, how amazing it is to be loved by you."

Tears began falling down her face as he stepped towards her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pulling her against him. Placing a kiss to her lips gently, he pulled away, holding her face in his hands. "I'm just sorry that it took me eight years to finally admit to you that I loved you. Maybe it would have been different." He smiled slightly as she nodded, eyes fluttering shut as he kissed her forehead, chuckling against him and hitting him gently with her fist.

"That wasn't a very fun game," she murmured against him, he laughing at the bittersweet moment they were having. "Alex, I do love you. God knows I do ..."

"I know you do," he said softly, releasing her from his hold as he reached up, wiping the tears from her face, "just not the way I want it."

She sighed deeply, watching as he picked up his belongings, setting them by the door as he called room service, asking for a bellhop to help bring his stuff down to the lobby. "Alex -"

"You're still one of my best friends, D," he said, giving her a warm smile. "I just ... I can't be around here right now. I hope you understand that. I need to go home, get myself together and face the world as a single man again. It isn't every day that your best friend gives back your heart because she can't give you hers when it's in the hands of someone else. I never thought I'd say this, but I will: JC is perfect for you, Audrina; he always has been. I saw the pictures, and soon the whole world will see what we all see. Soon, he'll see you like he did before."

She opened her mouth to speak, he shaking his head as he crossed the room, placing a kiss to her temple as a tear fell down his cheek. Within the few silent moments they had, he picked up his belongings and exited the room, closing it quietly behind him.

She masked a sob behind her hand, sinking down onto the bed as she reached for her cell phone, dialing the familiar numbers of her best friend. "Drea? Can you come back to the hotel from the club, please? I need you ..."



He was stepping out of the bathroom with a towel over his shoulder, hair still damp when he heard a knock on the door. Pulling his towel away from his waist that covered his body, he pulled on a pair of pajama bottoms, tossing both the towel that he had on and the one that was covering him back into the bathroom, reaching for the door to his room.

"AJ?" He asked, confused. A memory flashed in his mind when Aundrea came in with the same look on her face as AJ had and he prepared himself for a punch square in the face. Aundrea packed a punch for a little Latino, he could only imagine what AJ's latino punch would be.

It never came.

"JC, I need to talk to you," he said softly, watching the older man's eyes etch in confusion. "It's about D."

"I really don't want to talk about her, J," JC said, shaking his head. "I don't really want to be a part of your relationship problems, I'm sorry -"

"This isn't about our broken relationship," AJ said, JC stepping away from the door in confusion as AJ stepped in, JC suddenly taking in the luggage behind him. "This is about the two of you."

"There isn't an us."

"Don't hurt her, JC," AJ said softly. "God knows why she still loves you with what went down between you guys back then, but she still does. We all know I was more than willing to give her the life she had wanted for so long, but she didn't want it from me. She wanted to be with you or nothing at all. She doesn't care about why you left anymore, man; I can see it on her face."

"AJ, I'm not going after her anymore. I'm not in the running to be with her. I don't want to be with her. There was enough hurt caused between us that it's really fucked up whatever we had. She deserves better, she deserves you. I can't give her what she wants, I can't give her anything. I'm not meant to be with her. It isn't fair for either of us."

AJ sighed deeply, seeing the man in front of him older than he remembered. "Just, think about it, all right?"

"I can't promise you anything. I can't promise myself anything, so what makes you think I can do anything about it?"

"You are as stubborn as she said you were," AJ said, chuckling slightly. "Look ... I have to go. The bellhop took most of my stuff down to the lobby. I've got a cab waiting for me and I'm going to the airport -"

"Wait ... what?"

"We're done, JC. She doesn't love me like she loves you. If you weren't so dense, you would have seen that a mile away."

He sighed deeply. "I may have seen it, but I'm going in the opposite direction."

Chapter 30 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Woo, two chapter updates within a day!  I'm on a roll with this story! 

"This is Kurt Loder with an MTV News newsbreak. While the worldwide tour joining pop singers Audrina Littrell and JC Chasez kicked off officially two weeks ago, rumors are swirling already that there is turmoil between the two stars that has caused major problems on the road. The pair, who dated from 2000 at the peak of Chasez's success with his group *NSYNC to early 2006, have not been spotted together outside of venues and are rumored to not be on speaking terms.

Fans have noticed the stress on both singers' faces, worried that something may trigger another heart attack on Littrell, who is still recouperating from a serious heart attack in early August. Fan sites have launched to remove Chasez from the tour, while other sites have answered back, asking that Littrell be taken off. Whatever the case, MTV will be filming the pair and their so-called turmoil when their tour lands here on November 25th until they depart for New Hampshire on the 27th.


Littrell's album, Resurrection, debuted at number one in March, has still been a silent visitor on the Billboard charts, holding steady in the top 50, having already sold 3.7 million copies in the U.S. alone; a feat that is rare with the digital and illegal downloading. Chasez, who has been releasing music digitally for the last year, has had his share of success, the last two singles released from his album, 'The Story of Kate', have been very popular on the iTunes singles charts, also reaching platinum status with the album.

Stay tuned on November 25th at from 4PM all through the night to see backstage of their concerts and exclusive clips from the tour. This is Kurt Loder for MTV News. Stay tuned for another update at ten to the hour, every hour."

Aundrea shut off the television, looking over at her two friends who were lying in bed, sharing a magazine and giggling at the horror stories readers had sent in. Aubrey, fresh off of her stint on Broadway doing Hairspray, had arrived to be with the two of them six days ago, crawling into bed with her depressed friend, armed with magazines and sweets.

Sighing, Aundrea let the two be as she put on her flats and called to Aubrey who was probably the only one alert at the moment that she was going out for a walk-around in the lobby. An acknowledgement of her leaving was heard, she grabbing the hotel key and closing it softly behind her, shoving her hands into the pockets of her hooded sweatshirt and walked towards the elevator, it a glass one that showed the entire lobby to the rider.

It had been a five and a half weeks since AJ left, since Audrina had clammed up and turned into the shell of what she used to be. AJ hadn't called, JC refused to even look at her and her brother was so stressed with the work of the Boys and his family that he hadn't had time to call his sister for more than five minutes to get more than a 'hello' and 'how are you' out of the conversation. She was the only constant one with her since, she growing increasingly worried when her appetite slowly diminished, demeanor changed significantly.

She knew it had gone too far when the fans were noticing the stress, noticing the difficulty of the two of them to be in the same vicinity as one another. Audrina, who swore to her up and down that she was going to be a whole different person on stage, a daring, beautiful seductress, had kept her word, but she had gone the complete opposite way into a shy, reserved little girl who looked as if it were her first time on stage, rather than owning it like before.

JC, who usually was the quiet one, suddenly took an interest in partying. Every night after the show, he was begging for company to the 'hottest' club in that given town, begging Aundrea to leave Audrina behind, to come with him for at least one night of fun before she retired as the caretaker. She had always declined, though as soon as Aubrey showed, wild, crazy, nearly an alcoholic in her own right Aubrey, JC had a clubbing partner.


Though, it seemed as if Aubrey was suddenly JC's babysitter. He drank excessively, she confided in Aundrea; he drank, danced with some strange girl, made out with her and then would wallow in another shot or five. He never went home with someone, only Aubrey. She always ended up getting him in bed, taking his shoes and socks off and pulling the blanket over him before he passed out and putting a trash can next to him in case his body decided to not hold the liquor that he had knocked back.

While he was suddenly ready and raring to go out, Audrina, fresh off stage, would shower and disappear into her hotel room. Back when the two of them were dating, she was the one taking his hand and leading him out to have fun, he always the one who wanted to just lie in bed and let the day catch up to them. Now, she was the one who would finish up, shower and grab her things, leaving the venue without so much as a word to anyone but she and Aubrey, and on rare occasion, Rebecca, who had taken on the job as coordinator of the tour, not needed as assistant.

The MTV crew would be arriving to film in about five hours, Audrina having to be at the venue in three hours for soundcheck and rehearsal. If it was how she thought it was going to end up being, she knew they'd have either really boring footage or one of the two of them were going to snap and they'd get footage not able to be aired during the day.

"Can I get a grande spiced apple cider, please?" She stood in front of the lobby's Starbucks, placing her hand on the counter and holding on as she leaned back, eyes widening as she saw JC slowly approaching, oblivious of her presence just in front of him.

He walked past her, head down, eyes watching his feet and unaware of her eyes on him as he disappeared into the cafe, a small, forty-seated hall that housed a small stage and dim lighting. Once he disappeared behind the door, she turned, anxiously waiting for her drink so that she could peer in (she didn't want to admit she was spying) on him. "Thank you," she said, quickly placing her tip into the cup and sipping it, walking quickly towards the door.

She noticed the 'closed' sign on the large oak doors, standing on tiptoes to see in, his dark hair the only thing she was able to see from the window because of her short stature.

"He's been coming in here since you all arrived here on Wednesday," a woman said as she approached, putting the ropes in front of the door as Aundrea stepped away, eyeing the woman wearily. "Singing the same sad songs each time. Usually stays for hours at a time."

"He won't -" she stopped, biting her lip as she studied the woman, oblivious to what it meant, "he won't notice I'm watching him, will he?"

"No, he usually does end up getting a crowd that usually diminishes as he finishes. They never want to disturb him; he always looks troubled and at peace at the same time."

She nodded, stepping cautiously over the rope and pushing the door open slowly, cringing when it ached, the creak a sound similar to a groan as she slid in, sitting down at the table furthest away and put her drink down, folding her arms on the table and watched him.

He was hunched over the piano, head low, hands dancing on the keys as if it were the same old song and dance to him, something that he could have done with his eyes shut.

The snow was beginning to fall from the windows along the side of the cafe, she shivering at the thought of how cold New York tended to be during the Christmas season. Christmas. It would be Christmas soon, the most depressing holiday when you were alone. To her, it wasn't, because she considered herself to always be with someone, be it family or friends, but she knew Audrina, and she knew JC, too. They were both preparing themselves for the loneliness of the season, preparing to be the fake holly jolly that they have done ever since the break-up.

And then his voice began to filter throughout the room, goosebumps rising on her skin at the emotion that echoed in her ears.

I don't know when we fell apart
The love that we had was like a work of art
I used to see heaven in your eyes
Now angels are falling from your skies

The things were said were so wrong
And I haven't held you for so long
My foolish pride turns me inside
Why did we tell all those lies?
If you can reach for the phone
You don't have to be alone.

Outside, the wind, it seems so cold
Your heart is frozen like the snow
And there's no one home
To keep you safe and warm
Your eyes are red because you've cried

You fell asleep by the fireside
But there's one thing you should know
On this Christmas, baby
You don't have to be alone.


She frowned, nearly jumping out of her skin as the room suddenly became tense with the ringing of her cell phone, she scrambling to silence it before too much damage had been done. She looked up, seeing JC getting up slowly from the piano, she jumping from her seat and stopping him. "No, don't stop because I'm here -"

"I need to go get ready."

"JC," she said, her tone stopping him in his movements, "please. You know you have more than enough time. Stop making excuses to not look at me. To not look at anyone for that matter that has any relation with Audrina. Stop hiding from us."

He frowned, shaking his head. "I have to go shower and -"

"You have more than two and a half hours to get ready, Josh," she corrected, hand reaching out and grabbing his wrist, looking him over. God, why hadn't anyone seen how horrible he looked? He looked so tired, so emotionally drained, so ... so not him. "I'm not the bad guy."

"No one is," he said, shaking his head. "I'd just rather not be here."

"Why?"

"Because I'm not alone."

"Would you just sit your skinny ass back down on that piano bench and play?!"

He raised an eyebrow at her, stepping backward. "I don't want punched in the face by you again ..."

"I'm not going to hit you, JC. This time, time time, you didn't do anything wrong. Neither of you did."

He nodded, still slightly taken aback by her persistance. "I just want to go shower ..."

"Just, play, would you? I know you'd still be playing if I hadn't interrupted you."

"Maybe, but it brought me back to reality, and reality says I need to -"

"You smell like soap and toothpaste," she said, stepping into him and sniffing, "you already showered. Stop making excuses."

He sighed deeply, looking down at the floor. "I'm running out of them, aren't I?"

"You ran out of them a long time ago, buddy."

"If I play, will you just ... not look at me?"

"Since when have you been so shy about -"

"Please?"

She frowned, pulling up a seat parallel to the piano and nodded. "I won't look, I promise. I'll ... I'll play with my phone and drink my cider that I just-so-happened to have left back there." She turned, walking back towards the table she had been sitting at and grabbed her drink, turning to see him going back to the piano and playing softly, eyes still watching her every few moments. "What happened to you, Chasez," she asked herself softly, "what happened to both of you?"

That subsided now
No happiness around
If I could only find a way
To your heart

She looked up at the camera that was merely feet away from her, smiling as bright as she could while standing on stage with Kurt Loder, she listening as he interviewed Aubrey and Aundrea and how they enjoyed going on tour with their best friend and how their band had been doing.

"Audrina's appearance on our album really, really boosted our sales," Aubrey noted, "we can't be anymore grateful than we already are. Diddy gave us a two-month break to gather ourselves and prepare for our own tour which will kick off in March of next year. We couldn't be anymore excited about it and -"

Audrina watched her friends, eyes settling on Aundrea, who had been quiet the entire evening after she returned back from her time away from she and Aubrey. Her little firecracker of a friend seemed troubled, she shifting on her feet and looking anywhere but at the cameras, eyes haven't met her own since the return. She had constantly been attached to her cell phone (which, usually wasn't too surprising, but the only people she ever texted were in the same room as her) and when she asked who she was talking to, she got flabbergasted and responded with 'Dawn', who, even though Audrina didn't get along with, knew that she refused to text because it was too 'unprofessional, too impersonal'. So, therefore, either Aundrea was lying, or Dawn had a change of heart.

Something was up with her. She'd get to the bottom of it if it were the last thing she did that night.

"Make-up!"

Audrina turned, seeing Johnny calling for her to come get ready for the show, rehearsal having already gone underway and everything was set for the show at 8 o'clock. Aubrey and Aundrea stayed behind, Aundrea now boredly talking about how it had been in New York, Aubrey interrupting every so often to put in her two cents. Neither girl noticed her departure; if they did, they didn't show it.

Sighing deeply, she walked down the corridor, heels clicking against the tile. JC's voice was heard in his dressing room, speaking with someone on his phone; Johnny was just down the hall, feet away from her and ducking into his own private room where he met with the production manager before every show in every venue; and she, she ducked into her own dressing room, sitting on the chair and waiting for Annelle and Shelby to begin their work.

"I talked to him this afternoon," a voice said from down the hallway. Aundrea. "It's killing him to be here, killing him to see her the way she's been ... but he can't have it any other way right now. He's so confused and so lost, it's actually quite sad."

"And he's been trying to leave the tour ... again?" Aubrey.

"Yeah. He loves her, Bree. Loves her more than he even can fathom. But he feels as if he'll hurt her again and he doesn't want that. He said he tried so hard to get her back and then it all just slammed in his face how wrong it could be if he can't get back over what he thought he had won. They both have these demons, these two demons on their shoulders and one day, they're saying one thing; the next, they're contradicting themselves and taking back whatever was said before. I don't know anymore, Bree. AJ called me yesterday to see how she was doing and he's worried about her, he's worried he let her go and shouldn't have. He asked if I thought that the two of them would ever just grow up and get together again and I didn't know. I ... highly doubt it will happen. As much as I want it to, I'm losing faith in just how strong Audrina is with him and with herself -"

Audrina shut the conversation off in her mind, putting her attention elsewhere. So, everyone was losing faith in her. Was this how it was always going to be now? Hushed conversations away from her because they were all afraid to say something to her face? JC never speaking to her again? AJ never speaking to her again? The one person who said he'd never not talk to her, suddenly stopped talking to her over a decision he made, not her.

She bit her lip, keeping the tears at bay as she got up, snatching her cell phone from on the make-up counter and nearly knocked over Shelby, she crying out in confusion and calling her name as she ignored her, continuing her way down the hall to Johnny's room, he jumping when she slammed it open up against the wall.

"My God, Drina," he said, startled, hand to his chest, "you look like you've got a beast behind those eyes. What's going on? Why are you -"

"Cancel the show," she said, fighting back tears as she gripped the doorknob, trying her best to keep her knees strong to hold her body up. "Cancel the tour. I'm done, I'm fucking done." She remained eerily calm, given the shaking and tears, anger boiling so fast that her face and ears were deepening in redness. "I'm going home."

"What? Audrina, I can't just cancel a show, let alone your tour!"

"I said CANCEL THE FUCKING TOUR, JOHNNY!" She turned on her heel, ignoring his startled calls for her, brushing past her two best friends as they cried out in confusion, they too calling for her. She ignored them all, eyes set on the exit door as a body stepped in front of her, she crying out herself when piercing blue eyes stopped her. "Get out of my way, JC. Just leave me alone."

"What are you doing," he asked lowly as she tried to get on either side of him to the door, he stepping to block her every way. "What is going on?"

"Get the hell away from me," she snapped, "seems you can't even look at me, what changed it for this moment, huh? What else do you want to hide from me? What else do any of you want to hide from me?!" She turned, every person she had come into contact with within those few moments staring at her with wide eyes, she catching sight of the MTV cameras that were now filming her break-down. "Get that fucking camera out of here, Johnny! Get it out of here!"

Aubrey turned, putting her hand to the lens and speaking softly to the camera man, he immediately putting it down and eyeing the singer wearily.

Audrina turned, looking back at JC who had his arms crossed at his chest, standing his ground to the girl who stood seven inches shorter than him. "Move out of my way, Josh."

"I'm not letting you leave here, Rina; it's cold, it's snowing, and you're upset."

"Upset is not the fucking word," she snapped, he crying out and she put her hands square to his chest, pushing hard as he fell against the door, it opening with his body as she brushed past him before he could recover, immediately feeling the brisk late-November air.

But she didn't care. She had so much anger in her that the anger was keeping her warm. She was leaving this state, this tour, going back to L.A. and packing her things and moving back to Kentucky. She'd go back to school, forget about everyone she ever enountered in Hollywood and make a name for herself as someone else. She was done, fed up.

"Audrina Brianne, I swear if you don't stop fucking walking, so help me God -"

She cast her eyes over her shoulder, seeing JC hurriedly following her, she picking up her pace as he groaned in irritation, following her towards the front of the venue where everyone had already started to pile in for the show. Luckily, there were only a few people out there, unaware of the two popstars they had come to see fast approaching their vicinity, fast passing it.

"Drina, please," JC said, his voice hushed as she shook her head, angry tears burning her eyes as she continued heading towards the hotel, feeling an arm wrap around her waist and tug her to stop, pulling her against him. "Would you please just stop? Stop and talk to me," he said softly, turning her as she looked elsewhere, not wanting to catch his worried gaze, "once upon a time, you used to be able to talk to me."

"Yeah, well, once upon a time, you used to be able to look at me," she snapped, "once upone a time, you used to love me. Doesn't seem like either of them are really done anymore, now are they?"

"Audrina, stop and listen to yourself," he pleaded, "what is going on with you, huh? You are never like this."

"Well, it's time for me to start," she snapped, attempting to yank her body from his grip, "let go of me, Josh!"

"No."

"Josh!"

She yanked backward, he gripping her waist and the fabric of her top, pulling her roughly against him, she struggling as sobs escaped her throat. "I'm not ever going to let you go, Audrina," he whispered harshly, "no matter where we are in life, I'm not ever letting go of you."

"I want to go home," she said softly, her voice nearly taken away with the wind, his hands going to her now freezing cheeks and gasping. "Drina, you're gonna catch pneumonia." He pulled off his sweatshirt, she shaking her head as he held it out to her. "I don't want it."

"Put the fucking thing on, Audrina!"

She coiled back at his tone, taking the sweatshirt and putting it on over her head and shoving her arms through, going to turn away when JC grabbed her hand, she gasping at the warmth it radiated. "Josh, please, just let me go."

"What's going on with you, huh? What are you running from?"

"Like you fucking care. You want nothing to do with me, remember? Up until five minutes ago, I was nothing to you."

"Of course I fucking care," he snapped, "and it was never a matter of me having nothing to do with you, it was me not being able to face you, knowing what I felt and knowing what you needed. Looking at you kills me, Audrina. Looking at you absolutely sends me to my grave. You being nothing to me is a joke. You're my everything, do you understand that? Everything I have done in the last eight years have revolved around what I thought you'd approve of, what you'd like, what you'd think. Hell, right now, I went after you because I knew if it wasn't me who went after you, you'd never speak to me again. I can't not have that, as much as I say I want that, it's not true. I just ... I can't face you right now. I can't face us. I can't face what we had, what we could have had if I hadn't ruined it. I can't speak to you without hearing the same voice I've been in love with forever, hearing even the bad things coming from your mouth pangs my heart."

"Whatever."

He sighed deeply, running his hands up and down his arms and shaking his head. "I don't think I'll ever get through to you, Audrina. But I swear to God, if you leave this tour, cancel this show, where ever you are, I will track you down and beat you. As much as you don't want to be around us, as much as you think you hate the world, you would never cancel a show, leave a tour; that's not you and you fucking know it. So I suggest you get your ass back to the venue and get make-up down and warm yourself up. I don't care if you don't speak to me again, but I know thousands of people who will never buy another album once they catch wind of you leaving and refusing to perform. And I wouldn't blame them. This is not the woman I fell in love with, this is not the woman I am in love with. Get your fucking act together."

She stood there, speechless and freezing as he walked away, leaving her standing in the middle of the parking lot.

Chapter 31 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
The next few chapters are going to be really hard for me to write, getting it just how I want without extreme cheesiness or extreme 'wtf was she thinking writing this?' factors.  We shall see how it goes :]

It was December. Snow had fallen more than she ever remembered, and unfortunately, shows following the one they had two nights away in Pittsburgh would be postponed until they could get a flight out with the snowstorm that was already pounding the midwest where they were due to be in the next four days.

True to his word, JC had not spoken to her since that evening in parking lot in New York City, Aundrea and Aubrey leaving to give her space a few days ago. She had been on her own since. Even Rebecca had been acting funny towards her.

Not that she blamed anyone with her recent outburst.

Of course, the what the film crew had caught (part of the outburst, the screaming match between her and Johnny and all that entailed before and after) made it onto MTV and was still being buzzed about by everyone. The media was questioning when her mental breakdown would occur, the state of her mental health, the medications she was on for her heart.

'This is not the same Audrina Littrell that left us just months ago before having that heart attack. This is not the sweet, down-home girl that the world fell in love with. This is bald Britney with an umbrella to a car, only with hair.'

They thought she had lost her marbles, lost all sense of herself. In a way, she had. In one day, she was told to never come around JC, AJ broke up with her and left; then, in another, she gets the silent treatment from everyone she cared about because of a simple flick of a switch, she had lost it; lost all strength she had and just had a melt down.

Lying on the couch in the back of her tour bus as they stopped at a refueling station, she stared at the wall, eyes burning from not blinking. Brian had just called, checking in on his 'crazy' sister as he had dubbed her, only kidding, but still concerned as she sighed, reassuring him it was just homesickness and not having him around. With a few assurances that she'd call that night and every night after, he hung up and she was again left alone.

"Did someone call for the Timberlake love?"

She startled at the voice echoing through the front of the bus, hearing footsteps approach the back of the bus as she closed her eyes and quickly turned on her side, not wanting to deal with the man she knew so well.

"Drina?" She felt him behind her, his hand sweeping over her forehead to rid the bangs away from her face. A dramatic sigh escaped his lips as he sat down at the edge of the couch, she still feeling his eyes on her. "What am I going to do with you, huh," he asked softly, thumb caressing her cheek as her eyes fluttered open with his touch, being greeted with a weak smile. "Hey, sunshine."

She gave him a half-smile, tucking her legs close to her body as she got up, eyeing him wearily. "Hi."

"I was in the area visiting Chris and I thought I'd drop by to check on Dumb and Dumber," he said, arching an eyebrow at her. "What's going on with you? JC told me about your freak out. He's really worried about you; said you shut out everyone, including Aundrea and Aubrey."

"Nothing is going on with me," she said, averting her eyes away from his as he took her chin in his hand, turning her to look at him. "Justin, please."

"God, why can't they see this," he said soft as she looked at him, confused. "Why can't they see that this isn't a branch waiting to snap, this is a dam ready to break." He studied her eyes, studied the bags under them and frowned, "how much sleep have you been getting?"

"Little to nonexistant," she mumbled, watching as he rummaged in his bag that he had dropped on the ground in front of them, pulling out a bottle of pills and setting them in her hands. "Justin, what's this?"

"A sleeping aid," he said softly, she shaking her head at him, "Audrina, just listen to what I have to say, all right? This stuff, it's not bad. My doctor gave it to me when all that stuff happened between me and Cameron and I couldn't sleep or function. It helps your body's own chemicals and it doesn't have any narcotics in it. It's not addicting. I wouldn't give it to you if I thought it was. I just ... you need to sleep. You look like hell, you sound like hell -"

"Gee, thanks, Justin."

"I'm being serious, Audrina," he said softly. "You aren't taking care of yourself, and I'll be damned if I see you end up in the hospital again for something. I'm not going to go down that road with you, just like I wouldn't go down that road for myself. You're far more important to me than I am to myself, so you should feel a bit superior in that aspect."

"Oh, golly," she said, rolling her eyes as he swatted her shoulder. "Justin -"

"I know it's hard being on the road with him," he said softly, "hell, it was hard for me. When you weren't around, he was the biggest asshole in the world. He missed you so much he didn't know what to do with himself. And it has to be even harder now with the two of you so crazily in love with each other but being so annoyed with one another and not being able to do anything about it because the timing is way off. But everything happens for a reason, Drine. Everything will fall into place exactly how it was supposed to be."

"I know," she said softly, "I just don't want to be here anymore. I can't be on tour when all I want to do is go home ..."

"Did I ever tell you about the time we met you? The first time?"

She shook her head, he smirking as he began.

"After you left, all he could talk about was you. You were known as the untouchable Backstreet Sister, and he had made it his goal to change that. He wanted you from day one, wanted to be in your life from day one. I really think he was in love with you right then and there, too. The way he looked at you, the way he spoke about you ... we all bet him he couldn't get you and damned if he didn't try until you gave in and kissed him that day at the beach. I don't think you understand just how hard that man fell for you, how happy you made him just being there, just holding his hand. How happy you made him when before this all started, you'd throw a smile his way and he was little a little prancing freak on cloud nine."

"Is this supposed to make me happy, Justin? Because it's not -"

"Let me finish," he chuckled, reaching over and wrapping an arm around her, she leaning up against his chest and sighing deeply as he continued. "Then, when Brian got sick and all hell broke loose because you were having panic attacks and he was flipping out because you refused to let him get close to you because you were so scared, I have never seen him take on the role he did like he did in my entire life. He became so many things in one: protector, counselor, nurturer, brother to Brian, lover to you, sympathetic, comedic relief; he knew how to handle himself in a crisis. And then, you. You got sick and his whole world broke and shattered all around him. He tried so hard to be the strong one, the shoulder. And I know that the whole world saw the footage, but did they ever see him in the footage? The completely lost, completely broken man that watched as the doctor diagnosed the one woman in his life he'd gladly give up his life for? Drina, he called me crying the night you found out, scared that you'd end up like Brian. And then, when you did end up in the hospital, he didn't leave your side for one minute. And then your heart attack. I don't think he's fully recovered from that, yet. He walked in expecting a normal night but walking in on you collapsing against him. He saw how gray your skin had turned, saw how wide your eyes became. Your lips were turning purple, and you looked like death. He thought you were going to die in his arms. He thought his worst fear was going to happen. The one fear that drove him to run away from you in the first place -"

"Wait ... what?"

Justin stopped, looking like a deer caught in headlights. "You - you didn't know that?"

"I may have," she said softly, shaking her head as she looked at him, "but I really don't remember him ever telling me that ..."

"His biggest fear isn't needles anymore," Justin said, half-joking, "it's losing you. It was losing you when he was with you. He couldn't take knowing that he was going to ask you to marry him and he didn't know if you'd make it years into the marriage. He was so afraid he'd end up a widower way before he was supposed to. He planned on going first, planned on making sure you were always happy and healthy and then suddenly, you got sick and his whole perspective turned around. You were the most precious thing in his life, Drina; losing you would absolutely kill him. If something happened to you that day, I don't think he'd be here right now."

"I think I'm going to be sick," she murmured, hearing just how freaked JC had been, how much he had gone through with her made her feel horrible. "No wonder he doesn't want to be with me."

"Doesn't want to be with you? That's a complete fabrication," Justin said, waving it off. "He loves you madly. He'd do anything to be with you, but right now, he's so confused, with you ... kissing him and then kissing AJ like nothing ever happened and -" Justin stopped, looking at her as she avoided his gaze. "He did the same thing when we talked about this. Audrina, did something else happen that he won't tell me?"

" ... no."

"Liar," he said, poking her arm as she bit her lip, shaking her head. "Don't lie to me, Littrell."

"We slept together," she said softly as Justin cried out in amusement. "It's not funny, Justin!"

"I knew that was it!" He stood up, pacing back and forth as he studied her. "That's why he's so fucked up! You guys slept together. What happened after it happened?"

"I told him to go home. It was a mistake."

"You slept together, you told him it was a mistake. You kiss him weeks later and then suddenly kiss the man you were with after kissing him. He thinks you're only doing this as proof of the power you have over him. You have to prove to him that's not it at all."

She frowned, shaking her head as she lie back down, not wanting to hear anymore. "I want to be alone, Justin."

He disappeared, moments later resurfacing with a glass of water. "Take a pill, Audrina."

"Justin, it's seven o'clock at night!"

"So? You need sleep." He thrust the drink at her, she sighing deeply and accepting the cup, he picking up the pill bottle from the floor and opening it, handing her a pill. "Take it."

"Fine. But when I'm up at three o'clock in the morning and can't go back to sleep, it's your damn fault."

He nodded, watching as she knocked back the pill and swallowed some water to chase it. "I'm going to go sit with JC for a while. I'll be back to check on you, all right?"

She nodded, lying down on the couch once more, already feeling the affects of the pill. "Damn, this works really ... fast."

"Yes," he said, nodding. "It's almost immediate." He walked towards her, placing a kiss to her forehead and getting back up. "I'll see you in a bit."

"Mmmhmm."

"G'night, Drina."

She waved him off, yawning dramatically as her eyes began to drop heavily. "Leave, Timberlake."

He laughed, shutting off the light and closing the door, hurriedly leaving the bus before they left the stop they were at. Maybe there was hope for them yet."God, I give up, I give up!"

He grinned against the skin of her cheek, fingers digging into her sides as she fought against him, arms gripping his as she laughed, legs thrashing about as he got her most ticklish spot, they both suddenly crying out as they rolled from the couch to the floor, he landing with a big ‘ooph!’ as he held to her, keeping her from falling off of him.

"Are you okay," she asked, laughing. His eyes were slightly wide, she lifting herself up and studying him, realizing she had kneed him in the crotch on the way down. "Oh," she said, biting her lip to keep the smile at bay as his hand slowly trailed down his body, cupping himself. "Sorry, baby," she murmured, reaching down and helping him up, placing a kiss at the crook of his neck as his hand released himself, skirtng across her hip and gripping her, pulling her against him as she continued kissing him, his head lulling back as he swallowed hard.

"Hey," he said, tugging at her hand to stop her, she looking at him, confused. "You keep doing that and I’m going to have to take a very cold, very depressing shower."

She smirked, standing on her tiptoes to kiss him, hands raking down his chest to the hem of his shirt, sliding beneath the fabric and touching the tensed muscles of his stomach. "Who says it has to be depressing and cold?"

His eyes fluttered closed as her fingers kneaded into his skin, lifting the fabric up and away from him, her hands splaying across his chest. "I do," he said, swallowing hard as he felt her kisses trail down his jaw and to his neck, slowly making their way down his chest and to his bellybutton, he pulling her up and studying her face. "Don’t start something you’re not ready to finish, baby," he said softly, studying her face as a nervous smile tugged on her lips. "What’s that look for?"

"What if I want to finish it? What if I want you to ... finish me?"

He looked at her, startled from the question. "You’re going to have to elaborate on that, Rina."

He watched as she bit her lip, hands going to either side of her and lifting her tank top off, his eyes widening. They had been together for more than a year and a half, and through those months, there hadn’t been more than her playing the shy girl, touching him through his pants and he going up her shirt, nothing ever going past that; she wasn’t ready.

But here she stood, dressed only in her favorite pair of running shorts and a blue lace push-up that he swore she wore because she knew this was coming. And, in typical Audrina fashion, she put her hands on her hips, looking at him expectantly, waiting for him to make the move.

"Rina, are you sure?"

She laughed, reaching forward and grabbing him by the waistband of his jeans, pulling him to her as she wrapped her arms around him, pressing her lips against his. "I’m ready if you are," she murmured, lips dragging against his skin as he opened his eyes, lifting her and holding her to him, feeling her lock her legs around his waist as he kissed her again, her skin warm against his. "Bedroom," she said, pulling away from his mouth as he nodded, tightening his grip on her as he turned, heading through the entire downstairs to the stairs that lead to his bedroom.

She slid from his hold, reaching back herself and opening up his bedroom door, gripping his hand and tugging him in. He shut the door, watching her slowly creep towards his bed, body evident of that of a dancer, though, he had noticed, she wasn’t exactly built like a dancer since she had stopped taking her classes when she began to tour; her body began to curve, breasts seemed to have grown slightly larger (not that he was complaining) and she had welcomed it with a shopping spree buying all new bras and underwear.

He smirked. She had this planned.

"Well, are you going to come here?" She crooked a finger at him as the smile on his face widened, he walking towards her and lowering himself onto the bed, settling between her legs as he kissed her deeply, her fingers holding his face as she leaned backward, head on the pillow.

Breaking the kiss, he studied her face, she watching him contently. "Are you sure about this? If you’re not ready, you’re not ready, Rina; I’m not forcing you to do this."

"No, I’m pretty sure I was the one that initiated it," she chuckled, her hands sliding down the front of him towards the button of his jeans and undoing them. "I’m ready, JC. I’m not as afraid of this as you think I am."

"I never said you were afraid," he murmured, taking her bottom lip between his own and sucking gently, hissing as her hand slipped between the fabric and his skin, gently stroking the head of his penis. "I just thought -"

"Don’t think anymore," she teased, "it’ll hurt that pretty little head of yours."

He chuckled, sucking in his own bottom lip as she continued stroking, dropping his head to her shoulder, feeling her other hand pull at his jeans, lowering them off of his hips and down towards his knees, her feet pushing them off the rest of the way. "I love you, you know that?"

She smiled, nodding as she kissed him again, he moaning against her mouth as she began to pump slowly. She pulled away, pushing at his shoulder as he rolled onto his back, curious. "I want to see you," she whispered, mouth kissing a trail down his body, pausing as she took his size in, eyes widening. "Good God, JC," she murmured, her fingers running along the underside of his shaft, "no wonder the guys always made fun of you when you were in leather pants."

He laughed, sitting up and wrapping his arms around her waist, hands traveling up her back and unhooking her bra, pulling it away from her and between them as he placed kisses to her collarbone. Her head tilted back as an invitation as he assaulted her skin, free hand slowly sliding down her side and to her shorts, touching her through the fabric as she inhaled sharply. "You’ve gotta lose the shorts, baby," he said lowly, she pushing him to lie back down as she stood, pulling the shorts and her panties down all at once, slowly shimmying out of them as his eyes never left hers, watching as she lowered her body onto his, body pressed to every part of him. She felt his erection against her belly, a smile forming. She had caused that.

"You, my love, have been the cause of a lot of cold showers," he said, almost as if he was reading her mind. "But it was worth it." His hand reached between them, touching her gently as she sucked in at her lip, body reacting to him.

"Josh," she said, hand reaching between them and grabbing at his wrist, eyes burning into his, "I want to feel you inside me."

"Baby," he said gently, reaching up and tucking a hair behind her ear, "it’s going to hurt, I’m not going to lie to you. Are you sure you don’t just want to continue like this and wait?"

She shook her head, laying up against him and rolling them so that he was on top. "I love you, I trust that you wouldn’t hurt me intentionally. I want to feel what I’ve been missing for so long."

He chuckled, pressing kisses to her face as she locked her legs around his hips. "I'm going to take this slow, okay? Tell me to stop if you need me to."

She nodded, he putting his forehead against hers as he positioned himself at her entrance, her heart beating fast and crying out at the initial pain, he stopping and watching her face, it red as she held her breath.

"Look at me, baby," he said softly, her eyes opening as he cupped her cheeks. "If you want me to stop, I will. Just tell me."

She shook her head, pushing at his backside with her heels, he slowly entering her as her eyes clenched shut, she feeling him placing warm, gentle kisses to her face, kissing away the stray tear that fell through her lashes. Once he was fully in, he placed his mouth to hers, letting her body get accustomed to him. "Are you okay," he asked, voice sweet as she opened her eyes, nodding slowly. He held her gaze as he slowly began to move, kissing down from her lips to the hollow of her throat, feeling her swallow hard as he began to thrust.

"I love you," she said softly, he looking up at her as he paused, wiping her hair away from her forehead and kissing in gently. "I love you."

"I love you, too, baby."

She awoke, heart pounding as she took in the darkness of the room, knowing she was still on the bus. She was warm, covered in two fleece blankets that she hadn't put on herself, and through the cracks of the blinds, the moon shot an illuminating light to the floor next to the bed that was on the bus, she seeing Justin's sleeping form curled into a ball.

"J," she said softly, he murmuring in his sleep and turning over, facing the other direction. "J," she laughed, reaching behind her and grabbing her pillow, tossing it onto his body as he groaned, pulling the pillow away from his face and looking up at her. "Get your ass up here and sleep. Don't be stupid and freeze your tail off on that floor."

"I was actually quite comfortable," he said, voice raspy. He got up anyway, grabbing the sweatshirt he had used as a pillow and lazily falling into the bed next to her, face buried by the pillow as she studied his face. "What are you looking at me like that for," he asked, eyes slowly blinking as she shrugged, he pushing himself up and holding his body up by his elbows, disbelieving. "No, there's something you're thinking about and you want to say it to me. So ... spill it."

She sighed deeply, playing with her fingers as she spoke softly. "Even if we tried again, we wouldn't last, would we?"

"I think you would have lasted the first time if his fear wouldn't have gotten in the way and our big mouths didn't overhype him," he said honestly. "You just gotta prove to him that it's him you want and not just want him as a puppet."

"I never treated him like that."

"You cheated on AJ with him; went back to AJ like nothing was wrong. Kissed him and then kissed AJ like it was an everyday occurance. I'm pretty sure he feels like he was just played by the one person who he cared about most."

"I don't know how I'm supposed to be proving something he's known since the beginning."

"It'll all happen eventually."

She lie back down on the bed, closing her eyes and sighing deeply. "I told you I'd be up at three in the morning."

"It's actually nearing five," Justin corrected. "So you slept like, ten hours."

She gasped, shocked. "If only my life were that easy."



He stepped off of the bus, hand at his mouth to generate heat into his skin as he looked up at the fat snowflakes that had begun to fall a few hours ago, now a few inches already coating the ground. It was beautiful, the scenery he was taking in at the moment. They were in the heart of Pittsburgh, he looking up in the midst of all the city lights and in awe. Regardless of how many years he had been in the business, he was always blown away by simple scenery. And Pittsburgh, it definitely was a beautiful city at night.

"The bellhop is going to take your bags to your room. Looks like we'll be here for quite some time if the storm doesn't blow through," Johnny said as he got off his cell phone, shoving his hands into his pockets to keep them from the cold. "Your rooms are all taken care of and as soon as you're ready to go in, the front desk will have the key for you. Luckily, with the weather, no fans have camped out or staked a spot inside the lobby waiting for you guys so you can enter just like a casual patron."

JC nodded, waving Johnny off as he looked back up, blinking away some of the flakes that had rested on his eyelids, a small smile crawling across his face. He missed the winter season in Bowie.

"Hey, C!"

He turned, watching as Audrina stepped off the bus, dressed in a pair of jeans, white snow boots over the denim and a creamy white v-neck sweater on, she holding her coat as she glanced over, watching as Justin trudged through the snow, greeting him. "What's up, J?"

"Audrina and I are going to look at the city lights in Mount Washington. You coming?"

He glanced back at Audrina who was now putting her coat on, shaking his head. "I'd rather not."

"Oh, come on, man," Justin urged, "you two need to move past this whole teenaged-drama thing and just play fair. You both love each other. Why am I the one being the mediator? I'm the baby of the three of us!"

"I don't know. Why are you even here," he asked, laughing as Justin gave him a slightly hurt look. "I didn't mean it like that, J; relax. I just know you've got other stuff going on ..."

"And now I'm stuck here with you two," he said, grinning. "I'm not taking no for an answer, so grab your cell phone and let's go. We're taking the incline up."

"Justin, I have been on a bus for more than 24 hours. All I want to do is -"

"Go be in a hotel room for another 24? C'mon, man."

JC sighed, it a losing battle with his younger friend. "Fine. Whatever, man." He zipped up his hoodie, tugging his winter coat to his body tighter. "If I get pneumonia, I'm blaming you and making you take care of me."

Justin grinned. "Deal."

He walked in silence as Justin spoke of the last time he had been in the city for his tour, how he had never gotten a chance to leave his hotel room and how he was glad he got to this time. Audrina was next to him, bundled in her Eskimo coat, as JC had dubbed it, the hood up over her head and shielding her from the wind. He was already regretting agreeing to come. He knew there was only bad to come from their little adventure.

He shook his head. Thirty two and questioning a little walk he took with his twenty-nine-year-old ex-girlfriend and twenty-seven-year-old best friend. Yeah, he was chicken.

"Did I ever mention that I hate heights?"

He turned his head, looking at Audrina as the entered the little platform that took them up the steep hill of Mount Washington, Justin grinning as he hit a button, confusion written in JC's eyes. "J, how did you get them to open the incline? It's already past 11."

"I'm Justin Timberlake, I get what I want," he grinned, both he and Audrina rolling their eyes as he stepped up, taking Audrina's hand and helping her up, she holding tightly to him as Justin's eyes stared out into the city.

He had to admit, heights weren't really a favorite of his either, but the view was magnificent. He saw the lights of the stadium, beautiful skyline and all the bridges over the river. Station Square was just below them, remembering going into a club back in 2004 with Chris when he had come to visit him for his birthday. Station Square was also where they were staying, since the hotel they had originally been booked went in over capacity and the Sheraton was the only hotel within radius of where they were performing that had enough room for their crew.

"Good grief, how high are we going," she mumbled, Justin chuckling from beside her as he smiled weakly, turning away and trying not to look at her, watching as the incline rose and finally came to a stop, she the first one off.

They walked little ways, Justin stopping and spreading his arms out, showing the city for them to see. "And here we have, Mount Washington!"

"It's beautiful," Audrina murmured, stepping slightly next to Justin, JC stepping up on his other side and taking in the city. From where he stood, it looked like he could see beyond forever with the city the way it was.

He heard footsteps coming up from behind him, an eerie feeling casting over him once more as he took a step sideways to turn, crying out when a fist met his face. A startled cry from Audrina rattled in his ears along with Justin's arguing, he holding the side of his face and feeling his heart race as he watched Justin begin to argue with a man, larger than the three of them put together, Audrina behind him, helpless.

"Don't even think about moving."

His eyes darted towards the voice that was fast approaching him, he swallowing hard when he saw the knife in his hand. "Take it easy," he reasoned, "you can have whatever you want. I've got money, do you want the money?!"

"Justin, please!"

His head darted towards the other two, only at most, five feet away, she gripping his upper arm as the man struck him, he nearly toppling into a heap. "Fuck," he murmured, "fuck!" Without thinking and on sheer instinct, as the man approached him, his foot shot out, kicking the man hard in the stomach as he grabbed at Audrina, pulling her towards him, she gripping onto him tightly. "Call 9-1-1," he said softly, loud enough for her to hear. "My phone is in my back pocket. Take it out, put it on speaker. Call 9-1-1."

"Josh," she said, voice shaking. "What if they -"

"I'm not going to let them hurt you, Audrina," he said, swallowing hard as the man slowly got up, feeling Audrina's hand quickly go into his back pocket, the soft beep of speaker being turned on, shaking fingers dialing as quickly as she could, cursing under her breath as it took moments to connect.

"9-1-1, what is your emergency?"

"Josh!" She cried out as the man swung at him, Justin screaming for help as he played the duck and run game with the bigger man, swift on his feet and quick to move. JC and Audrina seemed to be playing the tango, for every step they took, the man took, mirroring them. JC gripped her from behind him, talking to her once more. "Tell the woman we're on Mount Washington. Tell her to hurry. Get my wallet, Audrina. Talk to her and get my wallet."

Audrina did as she was told, JC watching the man in front of them looked at him with wild eyes. He was high. High off of some crazy drug and he was going to take it out on three innocent people who hadn't even dabbled in whatever drug made them act like complete morons.

"He has to be coked out," Audrina said, almost as if she was reading his mind as she spoke to the operator, the man's eyes furrowing in anger as he realized what she was doing. "It's three of us. There are three of us and two of them and they've got knives -"

"Fuck, C, watch out!"

JC's listening to Audrina speak nearly threw him off of where he was, pushing Audrina away as the man's fist met with the center of his forehead, pain ripping through his face quickly as he was sent backward and onto his back, Audrina crying as she threw the cash she had on her at him, threw the money in JC's wallet at him. "Take it, get the fuck out of here, go!"


Justin cried out in surprise as the man socked him in the stomach, sending him to his knees as the same process was done with his own cash, cursing the man. "Take the fucking money, asshole," he groaned, coughing as he threw up whatever was in his stomach. "Take the fucking money!"

Sirens were head off in the distance, JC crying out in pain as the man's foot connected with his midsection, light bursts flying across his eyes. He struggled to get up, nauseous and dizzy as the man stepped towards Audrina, she cornered between a tree and the edge. "If you even fucking touch her," JC groaned, too weak to get up, "I will fucking track you down and kill you. You touch her and I'll rip every fucking bone from your body one by one. He pulled himself up by some grace of God, shoving the man to the ground, grabbing Audrina and pulling her close to him just as the red and blue lights of the police danced across their faces, both of the men running against the protests of the police as they ran after them, two officers approaching them quickly.

"Are you guys okay?"

He was nauseous just sitting up on his knees like he was, but it didn't matter. They didn't hurt her, didn't hurt the woman who was crying into his chest, arms wrapped tightly around him. Justin was struggling to stand as an officer helped him up, he coughing roughly, face red from struggle. "C, Rina," Justin let the police officer lead him towards them. Justin's body began to sway, he blinking hard, thinking it may have been his friend, but it wasn't. Swallowing, he released Audrina and fell off of his knees to his backside, suddenly dizzy and ready to throw up, hands over his eyes, praying for the spinning to stop.

"JC -"

"Josh," Audrina's voice overpowered Justin's, she kneeling over him, hand resting on his chest as he groaned, feeling the bile rise in his throat. "Josh!"

"I'm going to throw up," he groaned, just as Audrina turned him on his side, he catching his body and holding himself up with his hands as he lost whatever was in his stomach from that entire day. "Oh, my God ... who the fuck were those people?"

"Let me help you up, son," one of the police officers said gently, a hand going underneath his arm pit and the other gripping his wrist, tugging gently as he stood on his feet, immediately reaching for Audrina, the sense of danger still near. Or was it just the nausea?

"Let's get you over the bus," the policeman said, he confused. Why would he want to be on a bus? Buses didn't - he stopped, seeing an ambulance pulling up behind the squad car. Oh.

He sat on the bumper of the ambulance, hearing Justin on the phone with Johnny, visibly upset. Audrina was arguing with the policeman, shaking her head. "I'm fine," she argued, "JC kept me behind him, they never touched me.  He pushed me away before something could have happened - I'm fine!"

"Can you follow the light of my flashlight, Mr. Chasez?"

He turned his head slowly, the headache forming one he knew would make him feel like death shortly. He nodded, following the light with his eyes as the medic checked his forehead and mouth, nodding to the medic beside him. "You're gonna have a hell of a fat lip, hell of a goose egg or bruise on your forehead, too. Best thing for you to do is take some pain killers. Doesn't look like they did too much damage. You're very lucky."

"Yeah, lucky," he mumbled, standing up as Audrina left the embrace she had been in with Justin, nearly running to him and though it hurt with the pressure to her chest as she threw herself against him, holding to him tightly, he didn't complain, just winced as he wrapped his arms around her, happy that the three of them had managed to stay in one piece; though it felt like the headache he already had was going to split him in two right down the middle.

"Johnny is coming up," Justin said, walking up to him and studying him. "You okay, man?"

JC nodded, Audrina still holding tight to him as he placed his chin to the top of her head and sighing deeply. "I just want my bed. I just want my bed and sleep. And a lot of pain killers."

"I hear you," Justin mumbled, JC now noticing the shiner that was already visible to his left eye. "I swear, you never hear about this shit around here. What the fuck was that?"

"Cokeheads coming down from a high," a police officer stated as he walked back from his squad car, "a really bad high. Needed money for more coke and didn't have any. Decided to try anyway and were walking to their dealers when they saw you three and recognized you, ma'am. Knew you had money, I suppose."

"It's my fault," she murmured as Justin and JC both shook their heads. "For once, it's not one of you two getting recognized, and when it is me, you get your asses kicked."

"Almost every man wants to kick my ass anyway," Justin shrugged. "At least, now I'm prepared!"




Johnny arrived not even five minutes later, they all standing in the freezing cold answering questions and making statements for another half hour. She had not left JC's side, though she wasn't sure he wanted her to, his grip on her hand tight as he sat in the back seat of Johnny's rental, head on the back of the seat as he swallowed hard, eyes clenched shut. The headache had been immediate, though it worsened as time wore on. Justin and Johnny were up front, speaking lowly, ice on Justin's eye, his head also on the back of the seat.

He had protected her. He was true to his word, true to his promise that he'd never let anyone hurt her. Of course, the snow had cushioned her fall when he pushed her away, she only cold and soaked through, but it was a small price to pay compared to what the two men got.

Justin, she knew, had gotten an initial blow to his stomach, and as he tried to fight back, got an elbow to the face. He was quick enough on his feet that he missed getting hit numerous times and got a jab or two on the man on the side of the face, cutting him just below the eye.

JC had been frazzled the moment he had gotten hit, thankfully it being on the side of his face as he turned. That, he noted, wasn't the cause for his pain, but the blow to the center of his forehead was, where all the pain had gathered. She saw the man hit him while he was down, bring up his foot and stomp on him flat-footed.

"Security will be tight tonight," Johnny stated as they all got out, JC leaning into Audrina, he squinting painfully at the bright lights of the hotel lobby and letting her lead him to the elevators, Johnny already having their room keys. "Justin, you're crashing with C tonight. You need to keep an eye on him."

"I'm not a baby, Johnny," JC mumbled, "I don't need looked after."

"If you've got a concussion, yes, you do need looked after," he corrected. "Do you want me to be in that room with you?"

JC scoffed. "No offence, but I'd rather have Justin."

Johnny smirked, nodding in response. "I figured. Audrina, Tiny will be sitting outside your door. If you need anything, he'll be there in an instant."

She nodded, waiting as the elevator took them to the top of building to their private rooms, she getting handed a key as well as Justin. JC was oblivious, staring at his feet and swaying slightly. The doors opened, they all stepping out, Johnny putting the phone to his ear as he answered it, disappearing into the ice room as Tiny stood by her door, Justin opening up he and JC's door, leaving it slightly ajar for JC.

"Josh," she said softly, he looking at her with half-lidded eyes. His hands went to either side of her head, smoothing her hair and giving her a weak, tired smile. "I'll be fine, Rina. Go to bed."

She opened her mouth to speak, bewildered at his sudden character change as he placed a kiss to her forehead and slowly made his way into his room, closing it without even looking back.

She sighed deeply, looking at Tiny as he shrugged, she putting her key into the door and opening it, saying a quiet goodnight to her bodyguard and shutting the door.

She had only been there a few hours and already hated Pittsburgh.

Chapter 32 by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
It's finally wrapping up :]  Thank you so much for the reviews, angry and all at the characters, haha! 

She had trouble staying warm that night, tossing and turning, thinking about the body in the room next to her who had protected her, only to be the one hurt. She heard Justin getting up and moving around most of the night, soft murmurs from the two of them talking; heard Tiny outside her door as he spoke to Tim, JC's bodyguard. Every little sound of the city kept her awake, every little movement in the room next to her brought her more worry.

When morning came, she had never been so happy to roll out of bed and start the day. She was still worried about both men, especially JC; she had heard someone go in and out of their room once or twice during the early morning hours, heard every little movement from the shower being turned on to whoever it was that had gotten sick and flushed the toilet shortly after. Her senses were working overdrive, heart racing. It had been a fluke, had just been an unfortunate event that they were there at the wrong place at the wrong time. She knew they couldn't come back after them, they probably didn't even remember who it was they attacked; she still was on pins and needles.

"Hey, darlin'," Justin greeted as she walked out of her hotel room, he hugging her tightly as she sighed deeply. "Did you get any sleep last night?"

She pulled away, shaking her head and frowning. "I was paranoid all night; worried about you two."

"Ah, we're fine," Justin said, waving off her worry. "JC got sick in the middle of the night, but it was because the headache got pretty bad and he got nauseous. Johnny called for some prescription medicine at the outpatient care facility and he's been pretty good since. Argued with Johnny when he said he wanted to postpone the show, but he didn't want more people to get upset because of the money spent and us already being here. That's JC, though. He always hated having to hold off on things."

She frowned, glancing behind Justin. "What is he doing now?"

"Taking another shower to rid himself of the nausea. He still feels pretty bad, but he's keepin' on."

"Give me your room key," she said softly, he looking at her quizzically, "I want to check on him."

"Well, he's in the shower now -"

"It's not like I've never seen him naked or never shared a shower with him," she smirked as Justin laughed, handing her his key as she patted his arm. "Where are you going?"

"To find fresh coffee, not this stupid hotel crap," he smirked. "You want me to bring you some cider? I'm bringing some for C, too."

She nodded. "Thanks, J."

He kissed her temple, waving her off as he turned around, heading for the elevator with Tiny in tow. "Don't scare him shitless," he called as Tiny laughed, Audrina shaking her head as she turned, putting the card into the door. It signalled for her to go in, she hearing the shower water fall onto the ceramic, closing the door quietly behind her. Contemplating what she would do within the next few moments, she put her hand to the door knob, pushing open the bathroom door and shutting it behind her quietly.

She leaned against the counter, seeing his silhouette leaning up against the wall as the water fell down his body, blindly reaching for the faucet to turn the water off. She inhaled, waiting for him to open the curtain, waited for what could be an interesting argument. Taking a breath as she heard him grab the curtain, clenching her eyes shut and waiting for him to go off.

He didn't.

"What are you doing, standing in the middle of the bathroom?"

She opened her eyes, he standing in the shower, puzzled. Water was still dripping down his body, she biting her lip to surpress a comment, trying her hardest not to look at his body and just his gaze, it confused and slightly amused. "I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"And you couldn't wait somewhere else? Like say, oh, by the beds?"

"This was the only way I knew I'd have your attention," she said, voice quiet. How did he suddenly have the power to make her feel meek?

Probably because he was standing in front of her naked. Acting as if he were fully clothed.

"Well, I'm fine, so you don't have to worry about me."

She took in the bruising in the center of his forehead, closer to his right brow bone. "Are you sure? I heard you guys all night last night and -"

"I'm fine."

"I heard you throw up and -"

"Rina -"

"I was just really worried -"

"Rina, stop."

"No one has really ever stood to protect me like that before -"

"Rina -"

"And I care about you, regardless of how you think I feel about you -"

"Audrina, stop."

She stopped mid-sentence, watching as he stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around his slender waist and holding it at the edge. "What?"

He stepped toward her, hugging her one-armed as he pulled away, shrugging. "Any man would step in front of danger for a woman. Any man with a decent heart. I would have done it for anyone. It's nothing."

She sighed deeply, shaking her head and looking at him. "Do you not understand me, Josh? Do you not understand how hard it was for me to come over here? How hard it is for me to stand here now and not say all that I really want to say?"

"Probably just as hard as it is for me to let you go."

She froze, watching him as he ran a hand through his damp hair and began to brush his teeth. "What?"

He pulled the toothbrush from his mouth, shaking his head. "Never mind."

"No, Josh, what?"

"It's nothing."

She pulled herself up onto the bathroom counter, eyeing him as he kept contact with himself in the mirror. "Talk to me, JC."

He sighed, setting down his toothbrush and placing his hands on either side of the sink, looking down as he spoke softly. "I've tried hard to do just that for so long and it's not worth it," he said, shaking his head as Audrina frowned. "Audrina, the way I feel for you is none other than I've felt for a woman in ... well, forever. I was so sure that if I had gotten over myself that you'd be the one woman who I thought I'd spend the rest of my life with, but then all of this stuff just fell into my lap and I realized ... it's just not worth it. Do I want to be dragged around by my heart? Do I want to go by every day thinking that maybe today, it'll be different? No. To either of them. Do I want to be loved by you? Do I love you? Did I want to make it work because I know deep down that we're meant to be? Yes. But it's not worth the heartache, Audrina; it's not worth it anymore. It's not worth the grief, the stress, the questioning. We both can move on and find something that won't do this to us, that won't drive us crazy."

She sat there, staring at his hand that was resting on the counter, imagining it with a wedding band. They were meant to be; she knew it in her heart, and she knew that with all the things that had come their way: good and bad, it was all to make them stronger, make them realize that this is what would bring them here, this is what was totally worth all the fights, the drama, the tears, the silent treatments. It would all be worth it in the end. She knew it.

"So maybe we are already crazy," she said softly, he lifting his head slowly and looking at her curiously. "You ... you make me so crazy that sometimes I can't handle it. When you walked out of my life two and a half years ago, you dragged my heart out with you. You left with not only your belongings, but you left with my heart and I never fully got it back. People are supposed to be able to get over people they were in relationships with, but I didn't, I couldn't. I tried so hard to love AJ like I loved you and it was so devastating to me when he would look at me and tell me how much he loved me ... and when I answered, it wasn't how I would answer with you. Did I love him? Yes. Did I want to be with him? Yes, no ... maybe! If it hadn't of been for you, I wouldn't know what being in love with someone so much it hurt was and how much the past didn't matter because I wanted the present, I wanted the future with the one person who had my past. There's only one person for me, Josh. And you're it. You're the one person I want to continue this life with. I don't care about the drama or the career or what happened back then. I don't care about why you left, nothing. I don't care about anything but you and me."

"Audrina," he said softly, lifting his gaze to look at her, tears in his eyes. "Can't you see it's not worth it anymore? What we had is gone. What we had ... it left the moment we slept together. We used each other, abused each other ..."

"That's bullshit," she snapped, grabbing his arm, pulling him to look at her dead in the eyes, "you know it. How can you just stand there and look at me and tell me you don't love me?"

"It has nothing to do with love."

"It has everything to do with love and everything to do with us." She slid off of the counter, opening up the bathroom door and looking at him. "Have a good show tonight."

He cringed when the door slammed shut, it bringing on the headache that was slowly beginning to be just a dull throb back to a full-on migraine. With a sigh, he turned around, putting the shower back on to the hottest he could handle and stepped back in. This time, the shower wasn't just to ease the pain of the headache, but to ease the pain of his heart and the lies he continued to feed her. He wanted to wash his hands, his body clean of it all and he couldn't.

He remembered back when he released his first album and they hadn't gotten a chance to talk for so long. He was distant, so stressed and busy with his promotions that he never got to make time to be with her, to sit with her and let her listen to the album along with him so he could get her opinion on it. A song he performed during the club tours had started an uproar, a song that he was so happy with how it turned out and suddenly, one that was just written because of a mood he was in was fueling rumors that he and Audrina had called it quits. 'Dear Goodbye' made it to her ears before his own voice could, to tell her it had nothing to do with him and everything to do with just writing, with his imagination and she got a hold of a magazine with the two of them on the front stating, 'SPLIT! Behind the gory details of Hollywoods latest heartwrenching break-up between superstars JC Chasez and Audrina Littrell! How he broke up with her through a song, how she reacted!'

That silent treatment from her, those tears he got on his voicemail after she finally broke her silence (only to flip out on him) nearly drove him into a depression that would have probably ruined him. Now, with the split two years ago, he was still diving head first into a depression.

And it was his own stubborn ass that kept pushing him further and further down.

 

 

He stood on the wings of the stage, watching as she spoke with the audience, bright smile on her face. The only time she was truly happy nowadays was on that stage, performing, forgetting about the life she had.

It was nearing the end of the show, she now dressed in a pair of jeans and a tank top, her favorite heeled boots over the denim and her hair up in the low ponytail, just the same as it had been in the photoshoot, something she had fallen in love with and had incorporated into her make-up and hair.

"She loves you, you know."

He turned, seeing Justin standing behind him with his arms crossed at his chest. "I know this," he said, moving over so that his friend could stand next to him. "I know this very well."

"And you love her."

He was quiet, watching as she accepted the chair they brought on stage for her, she sitting down and smiling widely as they set a guitar in her lap. This was new ...

"You can't deny it, JC. It's written all over your face."

"I'm not denying anything," he said, shaking his head. "I do love her. I love her more than life itself."

"Then why -"

"It's not easy. It's not easy at all, Justin." His gaze went back to the said woman, watching her take in all the energy from the crowd, it radiating off of her face.

This last song is something new to all of you; completely new and never performed before. I started writing this song the night of my heart attack, actually. It was inspired while I was watching some home videos and in them, the person who I was with told me I was difficult, that nothing was ever easy when it dealt with me and it's true. It's so very true. Everything in my life is very complex because I'm a complex person. I want to have it my way or no way and at the moment when I was writing that song, I didn't have what I truly wanted. To be honest, I still don't. I was in a relationship that was so comfortable, so predictable and that wasn't me, it never has been. This ... this song is written for that past relationship, for that one person who may just be a little more difficult than I am."

"He's been there for me through everything from the get-go. From my brother getting sick, through both of his operations; to my stubborn ass not ever letting him get a word in edgewise when we did argue; to my diagnosis so long ago. He was there when I appeared at his front door when I found out I was sicker, even though we weren't together anymore. He was the one that was there from the moment I had my heart attack to all the days after following my surgery. He's been there when he didn't have to be, he protected me last night when the inevitable happened. He's been my rock and the complete love of my life. I just wish it had been a lot more easier than it has been."

She pulled the guitar closer to her, adjusting her mouth piece as she looked down, voice soft as she began, the entire audience quiet.

It's not so easy loving me
It get's so complicated
All the things you gotta be
Everything's changing, but you're truth
I'm amazing by all your patience, everything I put you through

And when I'm about to fall
Somehow, you're always waiting
With your open arms to catch me
You're gonna save me from myself
From myself, yes
You're gonna save me from myself.

My love is tainted by your touch
Well, some guys have shown me aces
But you've got that royal flush
I know it's crazy every day
Well, tomorrow may be shaky
But you never turn away

Don't ask me why I'm crying
'Cause when I start to crumble
You know how to keep me smiling
You always save me from myself
From myself, myself
You're gonna save me from myself

I know it's hard, it's hard
But you've broken all my walls
You've been my strength, so strong

And don't ask me why I love you
It's obvious, your tenderness is what I need
To make me a better woman
To myself
To myself, myself
You're gonna save me from myself.

"Right," Justin said softly, patting JC on the shoulder as she thanked everyone for coming out, especially in the bad weather, "it's so hard to be in love with someone who probably loves you more than you do her."

"That's not the case at all, Justin -" JC said, voice trailing off as Audrina made her way through the wing where he was standing, her eyes meeting his briefly as she walked quickly past him, accepting a new bottle of water as she grabbed a towel, draping it over her shoulders and walking to Justin whose arms were outstretched for a congratulatory hug.

"All right, y'all can get all the congratulations you want when you're on the bus. We need to move quickly because the storm is worsening and I don't think the three of you want to be stuck in a venue with all your screaming fans," Johnny said, taking Audrina by the small of the back and leading her out towards their dressing rooms, wanting them to grab their things quickly. "We're all going in one bus, the other is in the back, stuck in snow. So, Drina, you're stuck in JC's bus. Justin, I assume that's where you were anyway?"

"Then, I'm going to have to grab my things and -"

"No, we're leaving before it gets worse. You're just going have to wait to grab your belongings until tomorrow. Your safety is a little more important than your clothes on that bus. So c'mon, grab your things quickly, toss them all into a bag and let's go!"

Audrina followed Johnny, JC and Justin going into JC's dressing room and looking at each other, confused. "How bad does he think an actual snow storm in PA is going to be?"

"Well, it was pretty ... snowy when we got here, C," Justin said, standing on the chair to look out the small window and into the back parking lot of the venue. "Uh, yeah ... her bus ... it's completely covered. Who would have thought that in four hours, that much snow would fall? There has to be like, nine inches on the ground already!"


"That's crazy, Justin," he said, pulling his friend down so he could look. "Oh, shit, there really is!"

"Yeah, go on and don't believe the young one," Justin scoffed, giving him a slight smirk. "C'mon, Chasez, let's get to the bus."

JC grabbed his belongings, tossing them into his messenger bag and nodding. "Yeah, I can't wait until it's spring already. Snow can really just ... blow itself."

"Oh, nice insult," Justin cracked up, dodging a head swat from JC as the duo walked down the hall, Tiny waiting for them by the exit doors. "To the bus, my friend!"

JC eyed his friend, shaking his head as he watched Justin puff his chest out and point towards the doors, a wide grin on his face. "Justin, really?"

"Yes, really," he grinned, pausing as Tiny opened the door, both men gaping at the amount of snow falling. "Holy ... damn!"

He laughed from behind him, pushing him outward and tugging his coat closer to his body, burying his face into the fleece lining to block his face from the bitter cold and snow. "Damn, it is deep."

"Calling for a lot more, too. Apparently, the midwest was slammed all day yesterday and they got like, two feet. Looks like we'll be in Pittsburgh until this storm dies down and some of it melts. Might be too dangerous to even drive in it."

"Great. That's how I want to die. From snow."

"Car accident, dumbass," JC laughed. "Just get in. The hotel is only a a five minute drive."

"Yeah, and in ten minutes, I could lose my life."

"Justin, you could drop dead right here from a heart -" he stopped, Justin turning and looking at his friend wearily. "Nevermind."

"Jace -"

"Drop it, Justin."

"You okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Don't lie to me, Josh," Justin murmured, Tiny eyeing the two of them as he ushed them to the bus as Justin walked sideways, studying his friend's sudden depressed face. "Josh -"

"Forget I said that, all right? Just, forget it." He stepped onto the bus, Tiny standing on the stairs and waiting for Tim and Audrina to exit the venue so he could unlock the door, the two men walking down through the kitchen and sitting down at the table, JC staring at his hands.

"You didn't mean what you said and you know it. It is something that is common knowledge, Jace; everyone, and anyone could do just that. Hell, you could. I think the last person you have to worry about is her -"

"That's the thing, Justin! I worry about her constantly! She's always on my mind and I am forever worried if I'm not with her. I feel so stubborn that I want her for myself, but I don't want to deal with the consequences. At least, I didn't want to ... and now, suddenly, I'm scared to death that she'll die and I won't be there. But how would I handle it if something did happen to her? How would I handle a situation that I'm not ready for?"

"Um, JC?" Justin raised an eyebrow, studying his friend incredulously. "I seem to remember a certain woman having a heart attack when you were there. When you were the only one there. You knew exactly what to do ..."

"What if I find her dead?"

"Brian told me the doctor's expect her to live a happy and healthy normal life, JC. Expect her to outlive you. Me, even. She's been through hell, God owes her a few more years on her life because of that."

Both men stopped talking as they heard Tiny greet Audrina, her voice sweet and soft, sounding very tired as she climbed the stairs, meeting Justin's gaze. "It's times like these that I miss Kentucky."

"Why's that, Drine?"

"I could be out playing in this snow right now," she laughed, "now, I'm just stuck indoors under Johnny's watchful eye. He says he doesn't want me to stay out in the cold for too long because he doesn't want me to get sick. Which is codeword for, don't go out there and die."

"Aw, I'm sure he's just being daddy-like."

"Well, he can kiss my ass," she murmured. "I want to play in the damn snow!"

"You sound like your nine, not twenty-nine."

"And?"

"Just sayin'," Justin grinned, getting up and rummaging through the fridge. "Christ, C, your food habits haven't changed at all." He reached in, pulling a box of leftover food, opening it and chuckling. "Take out Chinese? Really?"

"I was hungry for it, shut up," he mumbled. "I'm going to lie down. My head hurts."

"Jace, it was a joke -"

"I know it was," he said as he walked past him, sliding open the door to the back open and shut quickly as he went through to the back, Justin looking on in confusion.

"I swear he's PMSing."

"Or ABLing."

"... What?"

"My initials, dumbass," she chuckled slightly, though a frown was on her face. "He's only cranky when I'm around."

"No, I'm pretty sure he's only cranky when you're not," Justin corrected. "This has nothing to do with you and everything to do with him, Drine. He's battling a lot of personal demons that even I don't understand." He shoved the leftovers onto a plate and then into the microwave, sitting down as the bus began to move, Audrina sliding in across from him. "I don't think he really understands, either. He's trying to make sense of it all, sort his brain out and he can't. I think that blow to the head knocked him back a few months of sorting, too."

"I gave up today," she said, shrugging. "We're not meant to be, is all."

"But that song you sang -"

"Based on what we did have. I wrote that song in my perspective all those years ago."

He nodded slowly, not thoroughly believing her story. "Well, it's true, though; he's ... he's difficult, too. He knows he is. He's also being a pain in the ass. You both are definitely two peas in a pod when it comes to being pains in the ass. Stubborn, too."

"Yeah, well this stubborn pain in the ass is playing in the snow if it kills her."

"Don't say that around him."

"Say what?"

"Anything about death. Scares him."

"Why, who died?" She watched as Justin got up, taking the plate of food and grabbing two forks, handing her one as he sat back down. "Something happen that I don't know about?"

"You almost died, Audrina." He took a bite, watching as the color drained from her face at the realization of what he had meant about not saying it in front of JC. "He's stuck on that. Really stuck. But, stuck in a different way. I don't know, it's hard to explain; he'd have to be the one telling you all this stuff."

She scoffed. "Like he's going to actually hold a normal conversation with me. He left the room when I came. Like that'll start anything."

"Give it time, Audrina."

"Time? Time?! I gave it two fucking years of my life, J! I think time is up! Expired, gone! I'm done giving it time!"

"Calm down, woman," Justin said, eyes wide with her sudden outburst. "Just ... a little more. You're more patient than anyone I know."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure my patience is worn thin. My poor children, if I should ever have them, are going to hate me as a mother."

"You will, and no, they won't. They'll hate their father for making their mother wait around for so long."

"They're f-Justin, you're crazy." Audrina stood as they neared the hotel, the Square looking like a ghost town. "Oh, I just may be able to play in the snow after all! There's no one around!"

"Why don't I just put some snow in a bag and you can play with that?"

"And then when I'm done, I'll put the bag over your head."

"Smartass."

She chuckled, he getting up and poking her side as he walked to the front, calling for Johnny who was sitting up with the bus driver. It was an idea, though: playing in the snow, bringing back the kid in her and making her forget about everything ... at least for a little while. She was glad she took the majority of the clothes she had from the bus to the hotel room, knowing they were going to be staying there for a while and it would save trips to the bus numerous times for things she needed, glad she brought in the suitcase with all her sweaters and jeans, her boots already on her feet.

"Ready to go, m'lady?"

She looked over at Justin, his arm extended as she nodded, looping her arm through his as they made their way into the hotel room. "You going to come outside with me?"

"Girl, are you crazy? It's freezing out!"

"I don't care," she grinned, fishing out her hotel room key out of her purse, sliding it in and waiting for it to unlock, she stepping in and looking at him. "You only live once, J. Take risks."



He stood in the corridor just behind Tiny as he heard Justin and Audrina speak, her words imprinting in his brain like a brand. You only live once. Take risks.

If only it were so easy.

It's not so easy loving me ...

He frowned, putting his palms to his temples, fingers curled inward, almost wishing to rid himself of all thoughts. You're killing me slowly ...

Now, it was his words coming back, haunting him.

"C, you okay?"

He froze, eyes slowly moving towards Justin, who was approaching him cautiously. "Yeah, I'm fine, just ... trying to clear my head. This headache doesn't want to leave me."

He frowned, giving him a sympathetic look. "Ouch, sorry man."

"How is your stomach feeling?"

"My ribs are a little sore, but I think that comes with the 'I got socked in the stomach' territory. How about your chest and ribs? You're the one who got the foot into the torso."

"Still tender," he said, shrugging. "Hurts to rustle around. Coughing hurts. But, I'll live."

"Yeah," Justin nodded, agreeing, "we all will."

"All right, I'm going outside."

He and Justin both turned, looking at Audrina as she shut her hotel room door, shoving the key into her back pocket. She had almost the same exact thing on from the night before, only dressed in a deep red turtle neck, a scarf wrapped around her neck and coat on above. her jeans were tucked into her boots again and gloves stuck out of her front pockets. "Are you sure you should be going out there, Drine?"

"No, you don't need to be going out there." Johnny approached them, she looking at him in disgust. "Oh, don't look at me like that, Rina."

"I'm 29, Johnny! I'll do what I please, Jesus." She walked past him, the man not even trying to argue with her. "Not my father, not my boyfriend, not anything but my manager ..."

Johnny shook his head as he looked at the other two men in the hallway, Tiny getting up to follow her. "No, don't even bother."

"I'm going out there," Justin said, sighing in defeat. "There's no one around, we'll be fine. You guys stay warm while I kill her in the cold." He disappeared into the hotel room, JC thinking momentarily before he followed his friend in. "C, what are you doing?" He pulled on a hooded sweatshirt over his long-sleeved shirt, watching as JC pulled on his coat, already adorned in a sweatshirt and tugging on a pair of boots.

"I'm going outside," he said simply, cringing when his head began to pound some more. "Keep you company. Look after Audrina."

"Dude, you don't feel good. You should probably get some sleep and get rid of that headache. We'll be fine, I can look after her."

"Then, who's going to look after you?" JC asked, joking as he stood, eyes tired as he waited on Justin. "Just give me the benefit of the doubt, man."

"All right," Justin said, shrugging. "You get key duties, then. I'll lose it."

"Yeah, I'm well aware of how swift your key-keeping duties are."

"Be jealous my friend, be jealous."

JC rolled his eyes, following Justin out the hotel room and closing it, waving off Tim who stood. "We'll be all right, man. We held off two druggies, I think we can hold off some crazy fans for a little bit." He got into the elevator with Justin, sighing deeply. "Why do I feel like something is going to happen when we're out there?"

"I don't know, why do you feel like that?"

"I don't know; I had the eerie feeling when we were on the incline, too. Just, weird."

Justin frowned, shrugging. "Well, if something seems off, we'll come back in. But, I really don't think anything is going to happen. Besides, Audrina is faring well out there by herself. At least, I think so ..."

"Argh, why didn't Johnny send someone out there with her? She's by herself ..."

"She's a big girl, C. She's fine."

"Yet, we're going out there to freeze our asses off to look after her."

"Hey, I was going out first, you decided all on your own!"

"True." JC leaned his head back, yawning deeply and waiting for the doors to open once more to let them go outside. "Where do you think she is?"

"Probably right in front of the hotel by the Hard Rock or something. Well, that's little ways down, but it's still next door."

He nodded, stepping out of the elevator and walking somewhat quickly to the outside, the eerie feeling still in his body. And, as Justin had guessed, he immediately spotted Audrina on the sidewalk, packing snowballs and setting them aside, the crunch beneath their feet startling her as she screeched, putting a hand to her heart as she smirked.

"Ah, so my preparation wasn't done with spite!" She picked up a snowball, Justin ducking behind JC as she gasped, "chickenshit! Don't hide behind the smaller one!"

"Hehe, smaller one," Justin grinned as JC scoffed, Audrina tsk-tsking at him as she approached them, faking him out and nailing him in the chest, laughing as he cried out. "Stop trying to up your size, Timberlake. We all know you all busted his balls about always having a hard-on on stage."

JC looked at her, eyes widening as he laughed. "Hey!"

"Just because wardobe felt it was necessary to put him in the tightest pants possible does not mean they were trying to make the world take a gander at his manhood."

"No, just his girlfriend at the time." Justin grinned, grabbing snow and tossing it at her as she screeched, backing off. "Of course, fans enjoyed it, too."

"Dude, guys, I'm right here."

"I didn't have to look at him through the pants, I got in the pants, bucco."

"Seriously? I'm standing right here."

Audrina laughed, shaking her head and picking up another snowball. "What now, Trousersnake?"

"Oh, it's on, little girl!"

JC smiled, watching as Justin dove at her, nearly tackling her as she screamed, breaking free of his grip and taking off down towards the Hard Rock Cafe, Justin catching her quickly and grabbing her arm, smashing snow onto the side of her face and wrapping his arms around her shoulders, taking her down into the pile of snow next to them. Looking up, he saw more fat snowflakes falling, knowing that what they were standing in would be covered completely come morning. They definitely would be in Pittsburgh for at least a few days.

He jumped when he felt something hit him in the shoulder, looking down and seeing the remnants of a snowball and hearing Justin's infamous cackle. It was war. "Timberlake!" He knelt down, scooping up snow and packing it, watching as his friend took off running like a child, he shaking his head as Audrina stood, watching him, waiting for what he was going to do. Lifting his arm, he hesitated, thinking about what he was about to do and decided against it, taking off running towards his friend as Justin laughed, stumbling and falling on his ass as JC stood over him, the snowball waiting to be released. "Ah, to be a good friend or not," he said, trailing off as he debated. "I get slammed in the shoulder by my friend so I think that my friend needs some snow slammed on him ..." He grinned, bending down as Justin shut his eyes, waiting for the snow to fall on his face. Instead, he let the snowball roll out of his hand and land on his chest with a wet 'thunk!'

"Chicken!"

JC laughed, looking at his friend as he got up, opening his mouth to speak, but stopping when he saw Audrina walk towards the Cafe, tugging on the door as it opened, it still open for business. "Where the hell is she going now?"

"Into the Hard Rock Cafe," Justin answered dumbly, shoving his friend lightly as they both followed, seeing her talking to the manager who stood at the front.

" ... since I'm snowed in here, I figured that the people who were at the hotel would at least want to be somewhere else rather than there, but you are the only ones to even walk in since early this evening. There's karaoke over there and I have some coffee still brewing if you'd like some ..."

"Oh, coffee," Justin grinned, "I'll take some!"

"None for me, thanks," Audrina smiled, "I don't drink much caffeine anymore."

JC remained quiet, taking in the Hard Rock Cafe and smirking. What do you collect, JC? Hard Rock Cafe menus! Ha! God, he felt so old ...

"I'm totally doing karaoke."

"Did you not have enough serenading tonight? You just did a show."

"So?"

"I think you're worse than JC."

Audrina chuckled, going through the book and screeching. "Justin, you have to sing this for me! Please!"

"What, what song is it?"

She pointed it out as he snorted, they both looking up at JC, Audrina's eyes wide in a begging sort of way. "Jace?"

He shook his head, sitting down at the table. "I'm not doing karaoke."

"Please?" She jutted out her lip, he sighing in defeat. He never could resist her. "I'll let you pick a song for me!"

"Fine," he mumbled, getting up and looking at them both. "What song?"

"Must you question my choice?"

He smirked, knowing exactly what song it was that she had chosen: her favorite song back when they were dating. Granted, it probably still was her favorite song, because she always loved how much he got into the song when they recorded and performed it. She even knew the spanish version.

He got up onto the small stage, standing next to Justin and seeing the screen begin to note how many measures until the verse began, smirking to himself. "Oh, someone please help me, I don't know the words to this song!"

Justin cracked up, mimicking too. "God, I'm so drunk I'm going to screw up all these words!"

"I'm only singing this 'cause I know you love it," JC stated, looking at Audrina. "So, take deep consideration in that."

"Ooooh ..."

"Shut up, Justin."


Audrina felt giddy all over again as she witnessed the two voices behind the song preparing to sing it once more, probably for the last time. Mentally preparing herself to remember this moment, she couldn't help but grin widely as Justin began to sing, but couldn't help turning her gaze to JC as he watched her, reading her reaction to the entire thing.

When the visions around you
Bring tears to your eyes

And all that surround you
Are secrets and lies
I'll be your strength, I'll give you hope
Keeping your faith when it's gone
The one you should call
Was standing here all along

And I will take you in my arms
And hold you right where you belong
'Til the day my life is through
This I promise you
This I promise you

She began to feel the familiar pounding in her heart as she did when she'd sit backstage and watch from the wings when they performed this song in concert, fingers twitching in excitement when the voice she knew and loved so much began to sing, stopping her entire world for the rest of the song.

I've loved you forever
In lifetimes before

And I promise you
Never will you hurt anymore
I give you my word, I give you my heart
This is a battle we've won
And with this vow
Forever has now begun

His eyes never left hers as he sang, she feeling the goosebumps form on her skin with his voice as she shuddered. Regardless of what mood she was in, he always had that effect on her. Richard Marx was a genius for writing it and sending it to the producers for them to sing.

Just close your eyes each loving day
And know this feeling won't go away
No, 'til the day my life is through
This I promise you
This I promise you

His gaze broke from hers as the bridge began, eyes closing and voice roaring through the Cafe, she knowing that if there were more people in there than just the four of them (including the manager), they would stop whatever they were doing, just to watch the man with the voice sing with so much passion, so much heart ... and obviously a good voice, put a good name to the song, even if they didn't like it.

Over and over I fall
When I hear you call
Without you in my life, baby
I just wouldn't be living at all

And I will take you in my arms

And hold you right where you belong
'Til the day my life is through
This I promise you, baby

Just close your eyes each loving day
And know this feeling won't go away
No, every word I say is true
This I promise you

Every word I say is true
This I promise you
I promise you

She wiped the tears from her eyes as Justin teased her, she laughing slightly and getting up, pushing the book towards JC. "All right, pick."

He pushed the book away, shaking his head. "No, it's all right. I don't really feel like it."

She eyed him, confused. "O-okay ..." She looked down at the page, knowing exactly what song she was going to sing. It had been a favorite of his back when they started, it was also the song he sang when he met her for the second time. If this didn't strike a chord with him, she didn't know what would.

Pushing the button and taking a deep breath, she kept her eyes on the screen, though she knew every word by heart. She couldn't look at him, otherwise she'd never get through the song without getting emotional.

You sheltered me from harm
You kept me warm, you kept me warm
You gave my life to me
You set me free

You set me free
The finest years I ever knew
Were all the years I had with you

And I would give everything I own
I'd give up my life, my heart, my home
I would give everything I own
Just to have you back again

She laughed slightly as she heard Justin begin to sing with her, voice off-key purposely, keeping her grinning through the words, even though all she wanted to do was beat the other man in the head with the microphone.


You taught me how to love
What a time, what a time
You never said too much
But still, you showed you cared
And I knew from watching you
And nobody else could ever know

The part of me that can't let go ...

She bit her lip, tears forming in her eyes as she sang the last sentence of the verse, missing part of the chorus as Justin continued to sing. She put a hand to her mouth, tring to control herself as the chorus neared an end and went off to the bridge, opening her mouth to sing and praying it didn't sound strained. The perfectionist in her was praying.

Is there someone you know
You're loving them so
But taking them all for granted

Her heart began to beat rapidly as she heard his voice begin to sing with her, harmonizing perfectly and taking the lower parts, she singing what had been Joey's. Her eyes cast over to him, he sitting in his seat with the microphone at his mouth, eyes burning into hers and singing the song just as he did on their album, voice overpowering hers as it often did with the held out notes in his range, she biting her lip and turning away, continuing with the song.

You may lose them one day
Someone takes them away
And they don't hear the words
You long to say
Long to say

And then there was Justin, yet again trying to be the comedic relief as he began to speak in a low, low register, imitating Lance, who probably would have beat him over the head with the microphone if he had been there.

You know, baby
My love for you will always be true
That's right, ha

'Cause there is no me without you

She grinned, beginning to sing the chorus again. Leave it to Justin.

I would give everything I own

She froze, hearing his voice over hers once more, this time bringing tears to her eyes as her hand dropped to her side, he singing the remainder of the song while all she could do was gape.

Everthing I own
Nobody can love you, love you
Love you, love you
Like I do

Everything I own
I'd give up my life, my heart, my home
Everything I own
Everything I own
Just to have you back again

Just to have you back again ...

She inhaled a shaky breath, Justin looking between both of them expectantly as she blinked back tears, stepping down off of the stage and putting the microphone on the table in front of him. "It's your turn, Justin," she said softly, grabbing her coat and leaving the Cafe quickly, ignoring the sound of the chair scraping against the hardwood, the voice murmuring to the other as she tugging her coat tighter around her, walking quickly towards the hotel. She ignored the footsteps behind her that were walking quickly, ignored the tears that were falling down her face.

"Rina, stop."

She was too tired to fight, too tired to just keep walking. It was cold, she was upset; all she wanted was to crawl into bed and not come out until she was dead. She stopped, still facing the other direction as he continued to walk, circling around her to face her. "What do you want, JC?"

He reached forward, tugging at her hood and putting it on her head as he studied her gaze, studied the tears that riddled her eyes. He never wanted to see her cry again, never wanted to be the reason she cried. "Do you still love me?"

She looked at him, taken back by what he had just asked. "What does this have to do with -"

"Rina, do you still love me? Do you still love me like I love you?"

"I don't know how you love me anymore," she mumbled, eyes darting anywhere but into his eyes. "I don't know much about us anymore."

"Do you want to be with me, Audrina? Be with me forever like we planned?"

She swallowed her own gasp, looking over at him with wide eyes. "What?!"

He smirked. "Do you love me?"

"Of course I do," she said softly, still slowly catching up to his sudden interest. "But, wh -"

He stopped her, warm hand sliding across her jawline and cheek to the back of her neck, pulling her body flush against him and pressing his lips to hers, both hands coming up to her cheeks and wiping the tears away, feeling her hands gripping his coat at his hips, holding onto him tightly.

"It's about fucking time!"

She broke away from him, eyes catching his as the two of them turned to see Justin standing in the doorway of the Cafe, hands on his hips. They both laughed, he shaking his head in annoyance.

"I swear, my next step was handcuffing the two of you together and locking you in a bathroom or something," he called, waving them off as he turned back around, "I'll meet you back at the hotel ... later!"

JC turned her face gently, studying her face as she held onto his wrists, standing on tiptoe to kiss his wounded forehead gently, his eyes fluttering closed at her touch. "I love you, Audrina."

She lowered herself back to flat foot, smiling through her tears. "I love you too, Joshua."

"This isn't the end of this, you know," he said softly, reaching down and taking her hand, pulling her towards him as he put his mouth to her forehead, speaking into her skin. "There's a lot you and I have to talk about, a lot we need to figure out."

She nodded, he smiling even wider as her head made his head bob up and down. "I know."

"Just as long as we're both on the same page, I'm okay."

She pulled away from him, studying his gaze. "As long as I'm with you, I'm okay."

"Well, you'll be okay forever, then."

End Notes:
One more chapter and SMFM is complete! 
(The Actual) Epilogue by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
Apparently, in the midst of my trying to fix my double posting, I ended up deleting the epilogue anyway!  Sorry, guys!

"God, it's freezing out there," he mumbled, stepping in behind her as she peeled off her coat, turning to watch him as he blew his hot breath into his hands. "Leave it to you to be the crazy one who wants to go out and play in it."

She smirked, walking past him and into the bathroom, he following her with his eyes as she put a brush through her hair, putting it up into a high ponytail. "Well, we're stuck here for a few days, gotta make the best of it."

He stepped into the bathroom, leaning up against the doorframe as he watched her wash her face, ridding it of make-up and of the cold, he suddenly warm just by looking at her. "Audrina?"

She put her washcloth down, walking over to him and putting her hands to his chest, fisting his sweater and looking up at him, eyes looking at her hands, at the thick fabric of his sweater. "Tell me it'll work this time," she said softly, "tell me that we're going to do it right this time."

He ran his hands down her arms, gripping them tightly as she looked up at him. "Rina, you know that neither of us can promise anything like that. But I can promise you that I'm going to try hardest to make sure you get the life you deserve, to get the happiness that we did have until I freaked. I love you, Rina; I want to be with you as long as you'll let me. It's going to be hard, it's going to be some sort of adventure but I promise you, I'm not who I was two years ago. I know what I have, I know what I need and the only thing I need is you."

He looked at her then, really looked at her. This was his life and what he had wanted for so long but ran away from; he wasn't going to do that anymore. He needed to take risks, take the chance that he had wanted to so long ago and make a life with her like he had originally planned. She was it, they were meant to be and for whatever reason that God wanted, the life that he thought he'd have before he met her was completely washed away. He'd make a life with her, make babies with her. This was how it was going to be and he couldn't be anymore scared shitless and happy then he was right then and there.

No regrets. No second guessing. He was diving in head first and she was right along side him, doing the same thing he was doing. He would be okay as long as she stayed by his side, holding his hand. That's the only way he wanted it.

She smiled, tears forming in her eyes as he ran the pad of his thumb over her bottom lip, she releasing her grip on his sweater as she reached up, bringing his mouth back down to hers and kissing him aggressively, his hands holding onto her tightly as she pulled at his sweater, tugging it upward and off of his body, hands bunching the t-shirt that he had underneath and lifting it from the waistband of his jeans, her hands gripping the warm skin at his belly, he pulling the shirt off completely and reaching for her sweater to do the same.

She pressed her body against him, he dropping his mouth to the side of her neck and to her shoulder, hand tucking underneath the strap of her bra and pulling gently down, his mouth pressing his mouth to her skin. "Josh," she said softly, her hands weaving in his hair as he hummed against her skin, hands slowly crawling up her hips and over her belly to her breasts, cupping her through her bra.

His hands released her as he stepped away, walking towards the door as she look on curiously. "Time to warm up," he said softly, closing the door and turning the lock as he leaned up against the door, crooking his finger at her as she stepped back into him, mouth against his quickly, his hands gripping her face gently. "Shower?"

She nodded, hands skimming down his body to his jeans, popping open the button and tucking her hands into his boxers and tugging both his jeans and the boxers down, he kicking them away from him as he worked the clasp of her bra, unhooking it and pulling it away from between their bodies, walking with her towards the shower and turning it on, pulling her jeans off, his hands holding her at the small of her back, looking at her as he smoothed her hair away from her face, pressing his lips to her forehead. "I love you, Audrina."

She grinned, kissing his neck and nodding into his skin. "I love you, too." She gasped as he lifted her up, wrapping her naked body around his waist as he stepped into the shower, letting her slide down off of him as he shut the curtain, pushing her up against the wall opposite of it.

"God, I missed this," he murmured, mouth pressing to her skin and lifting her leg to rest on his hip as his hand traveled downward, she gasping against his shoulder as his fingers found her heat, flicking over the sensitive bud and rolling it between his fingers, her body tensing against him. She gripped his shoulders, hips involuntarily thrusting against his hand as a finger entered, twisting and pumping, curling against her walls, a second finger soon entering as she gasped, his mouth capturing hers roughly, the water running down their bodies and causing a lot more movement against their bodies, he groaning against her mouth as she ran her fingers down his back, gripping his hips and pulling her into him, erection pressing into her stomach.

"Oh, damn, baby," he murmured as her hands slid to his front, her leg dropping from his hip as she placed kisses from his shoulder all the way down his chest, kissing the indentations on his hips before her tongue flicked over the head of his shaft, his hands planting themselves firmly on the wall as he looked down, watching her lick and suck him, his own tongue darting out and licking his lips, hand sliding down off of the wall and weaving through her hair, holding tightly to it as she put him in her mouth, bobbing her head up and down as her hands pumped. He gasped as her teeth raked gently against the underside of him, shuddering at the feel as she put him back in her mouth, sucking hard.

He felt his release building, body tensing as he pulled her away, shaking his head. "If I'm cumming," he murmured, mouth against her breast, "I'm cumming inside you."

Her breath caught in her throat as she felt him lift her once more, holding her up against the wall as he planted himself as firmly as he could on the shower floor, sliding his dick against her folds, pushing against her gently so just the head was in, she whimpering and rocking her hips. "Josh," she pleased, her eyes wide as he grinned. "Come on ..."

"Is this how you want it, Rina? You want this?" He thrust into her as she cried out, body not used to his size after so long. "Is this what you wanted?"

"God, yes," she said lowly, gripping the base of his neck with her hands as he drove into her, thrusting hard and rotating his hips with each pulse of his body.

His kisses were like fever: hot and consuming, his tongue sliding along her bottom lip as it entered her mouth, they both moaning against each other's mouths. His kisses became deeper as he felt her body tense around him, her mouth dropping away from his as her eyes fell shut, hand reaching up and trailing down the hollow of her neck, kissing her at the middle of her collarbone. "Baby, look at me," he commanded, she lifting her head lazily as her eyes clouded over, "I want to see your face when you cum. I want you to look at me ..."

She nodded, head up against the wall as she kept eye contact, mouth dropping open as an orgasm built, walls clenching around his dick, only driving him to thrust harder, faster. "Oh, God, Josh!" She gripped his shoulders tightly, crying out as her orgasm hit it's peak, body weak against his as he held her up, pumping and driving hard into her as he felt his own build, groaning out her name as he came, slowing his pace and finally letting her slide down, panting heavily as she put her head to his shoulder, kissing up his neck to his adam's apple, feeling him swallow hard against her mouth. "You okay," she asked softly, grinning as he nodded, still holding onto her body as he contained himself, kissing the sweet spot below her jaw gently.

"We better get dried off," he said, pulling away and looking at her, "Justin will be coming back up soon and you know he's going to be pounding on the door."

"If he's smart, he won't."

"It's Justin, Rina," he laughed, "if he knows what's going on here, he's going to be like a little kid, nagging to be let in, asking numerous questions on what we're doing ..."

"This is true," she grinned, taking his hand as he helped her out of the shower, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around her body as she watched him dry his own off. "I could have done that ..."

"If you would have done that, we'd be repeating what just happened in the shower, except it'd be lasting a lot longer and I'm pretty sure of one thing ..."

She arched an eyebrow, watching as he stepped into her, mouth grazing her ear as she shuddered. "What's that?"

"I'd be going downtown," he chuckled, "you know, where it's business as usual ..."

She felt all the heat rush between her legs, pushing at his shoulder as she laughed, shaking her head. "You probably wouldn't even remember the route."

"Oh, but I do."

She smirked, no longer caring if Justin would start nagging, only caring about the little 'business trip' that he had mentioned. "I'm pretty sure you don't." She saw the gleam in his eye as he ripped her towel off, hands cupping her breasts and bringing his mouth to her nipple, sucking it in and nipping at it gently, pulling away and blowing cool air to it, watching as her entire body reacted. He grinned, licking at the nipple before going to the other, doing the same as her hands gripped his hair. He took her hand, tugging her downward as she sat, his hand pushing gently at her shoulders so that she was laying, lifting up a leg and propping it over his shoulder.

"I've got a meeting with a few of my most important clients," he murmured, his fingers opening her up as he closed his mouth over her clit, sucking gently as she gasped, body grinding against his face as he put two fingers into her, licking and flicking at her, sucking and gently nibbling. "I told you I knew how to get there," he murmured, humming against her as her hips bucked, "I know how to get you there."

"Less talking, more business," she murmured as he laughed, nudging his nose against her body, tasting her as her body tightened once more, body going rigid as she came, crying out in surrender as he continued licking, licking between her folds and between her slit, waiting for her body to calm before he pulled away, a cocky smirk on his face.

"You're something else," she chuckled, trying to catch her breath as he wiped the sides of his mouth, grinning as he helped her get up, picking up her towel. "We're together for less than an hour and we're already back where we started in our physical relationship."

"And how's that, baby," he asked, raising an eyebrow as he tucked his towel in place, hearing Justin's voice at the door. He reached for his jeans, tugging them on from underneath his towel, tossing it aside and buttoning his jeans, grabbing his t-shirt and pulling it on quickly.

"Well, for starters, once we started, we didn't stop ..."

He grinned. "I don't intend on stopping until my hips break and my dick won't rise."

"Oh, that's promising. And really raunchy."

He chuckled, opening the door as he looked her up and down. "I'll grab your clothes and entertain Justin."

"Thanks," she smiled, drying her body as he closed the door behind him, grabbing a pair of her pajama pants and a t-shirt, her bra and panties sitting on the bed already.

"Hold on, Justin!" JC laughed, opening up the bathroom as Audrina stood in the middle of the bathroom, hands on her hips. "Look at me like that and I may have to ignore him."

"Oh, if only it were that easy."

JC chuckled, stepping into the room and kissing her hard on the mouth, stepping away and closing the door behind him as he opened up the main door, Justin standing there expectantly. "What?"

"It's about fucking time!"

JC smiled, nodding his head. "I think so, too."

 

 

"Hey, baby sister."

Audrina turned, putting down the magazine that she was holding and got up, walking into her brother's outstretched arms. "Hey! I missed you!"

"It goes both ways," he agreed, pulling away from her and smiling. "You look great. Happy?"

She nodded, smile wide as she looked past him at the dark-haired man pulling the sliding glass door shut, balancing a plate of hamburgers for the grill. "I'm very happy."

"That, makes me happy." Brian placed a kiss to her forehead, smiling widely. "I've gotta go check on Baylee, I'll be right back."

She nodded, watching as he jogged out to the backyard, she sitting back down and yawning deeply. "I swear, I get more tired as the months go."

JC turned from placing the burger patties on the grill, grinning widely. "Well, babe, that comes with the 'I'm in my second trimester' package."

"Yeah, yeah."

He smiled warmly, walking over to her and placing a hand on her belly, she six months along and barely showing, a feat that she had wished would have happened a year and a half before.

It was a four months into their reconciliation when JC asked her to marry him, surprising her with a brand new ring, he making the old engagement ring that he wanted to give her into a right-hand ring and four more months later when they married in a small, private wedding with a large, very loud and very family-oriented reception. Aundrea and Aubrey served as her maids of honor, Justin and Tyler his best men. Brian was also in the wedding, along with Heather, JC's sister. Surprising to both, AJ showed up wearing a wide smile with a very sweet woman that he now was married to, Elliana.

They intended on waiting a year or two into marriage to make sure they were ready and willing to have children, but three weeks before their one year anniversary, Audrina found out she was pregnant with their first-born, a blond-haired little boy named Jace, a tribute to his father, but not stealing his identity. He had his father's eyes and her hair, and a budding personality that seemed to be none other than that of his Uncle Brian's.

Then, when Jace was ten-months-old, she became pregnant again. And though they wanted to hide the pregnancy like they had done with Jace, as soon as she found out, it seemed as though the cat was out of the bag fully. Just barely three months pregnant, she looked as if she were already in the end of her second trimester, body betraying her and not caring that this time, this time they wanted to keep the media out of their much speculated pregnancy.

Baby Hayden was born in early September, almost an entire month before she was due. She came out the complete opposite as Jace, dark hair and green eyes, a trait that boggled both parent's minds since the blue eyes were dominant in both families.

And now, here she was, pregnant again. Their families joked, saying that they had never imagined the two of them being where they were, and yet, there they were, five and a half years into their marriage and almost already three kids in. Jace was a mischievous three-and-a-half-year-old toddler, quick witted and very much the adventurer; Hayden was twenty-two months, a daddy's girl and very much into being a little diva; she always wanted to be in the studio with mommy and/or daddy, loved to 'play' the piano and make up little songs about shoes or how many fingers she had, and from the looks of it, she'd be quite the performer if she'd ever want to be in the music industry when she was little.

Daddy wanted her to have no parts of it.

And then there was baby number three, another little girl that they intended to call Kylie. The moment they had found out the gender of the baby, he immediately wondered how he'd be able to love another little one as he did with the two he already had. He already had a daddy's girl, and suddenly, he'd have another little girl that would wrap him around her tiny fingers, something he didn't know how he'd manage.

"She's kicking."

He wiped his hands on the hand towel, she standing up as he approached her, hands on either side of her belly, smiling widely. "That's my girl."

"Daddy!"

He released Audrina's belly, turning as Hayden came running onto the back deck, Jace and Baylee hot on her heels. "Hey, baby," he greeted, kneeling down and kissing her temple as she wrapped her arms around his neck, he standing up as he held her, looking at his son and nephew expectantly. "What are you two boys up to?"

"Baylee wants-ta show me how to work my trains! Can we go to my room?!"

JC laughed, nodding as the younger boy led his older cousin into the house, Jace's giggles heard echoing through the house as they hurried to his room. Brian came back up onto the deck, sitting down in the chair that was across from Audrina. "Where's Leigh?"

"Ah, she's on her way," Brian chuckled. "She's got another niece on the way, she went to go buy more things."

"Brian, have you seen this house? It's like a homemade toy store! Complete with a baby boutique!"

Audrina nodded. "It's true; but he's the one guilty of it. Let's not forget every time I found out I was pregnant who went out and bought out stores at a time!"

"Ah, guilty," he chuckled. "I think after I overcame the initial shock of her being pregnant with Jace, I went and bought so much stuff. I think the nursery was set up by the time she was four months pregnant."

"Man, who would have thought five years ago that you'd be here right now? Seriously. I remember getting a call from Audrina the day after you made up and I couldn't believe it. We were so happy, but we were all waiting to see how it panned out. And now, here you are ... married and parents to two, almost three children."

"Yeah," JC smiled, shifting his weight with a sleepy Hayden on his hip, her head resting on his shoulder as he placed a kiss to her head once more, reaching over and touching Audrina's belly, "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Have no fear, Uncle Jay is here!"

Audrina grinned, turning her head towards the voice that boomed inside their house as the boys hollered for their visitor. "Me neither."

Apparently, doing this at 4AM isn't good for my brain ... by Bobbilynn
Author's Notes:
It saddens me that this story is done.  But it's been a good four months writing this and I know JC and Audrina's story is told.  There was much I could have done to stretch it out longer, but it would have been painstakingly slow.  Who knows, maybe I'll add little mini's about their lives after the story ended, or even stemming from flashbacks :]  But that's on the back burner if I should decide to do so; there are other stories that need to be finished (By My Side, anyone? ahem)! 

Thank you all so much for your patience between my long and scarce updates, to my quick and one right after another updates, much like the last four or so.  Vacation from work has had it's plus side!  Thank you all for the reviews, the e-mails making sure I hadn't forgotten about them and all the 'JC is so stupid', 'Audrina needs to stop being a baby' remarks; it makes me think that you guys really got into this and was rooting for them the way I did :]

Initially, this epilogue was going to be two parts.  But as I said before, I didn't want to make it a painstakingly long process so I edited a lot and meshed it together.  What you're going to read is the present and then a glimpse into the future.  I hope you enjoy, and I'll see you all around my other stories!! 

B

Cue a brain collapse ... now. 

I don't know what is going on with the ending of this story, but it won't let me delete one epilogue without the other disappearing, so my apologies that this is posted twice.  I attempted to, but my computer kept messing up ... and when I went to check on my desktop (since I write on the laptop), it still was there.  So ... I quickly had to edit and add, edit and fix everything in the epilogue.  My sincerest apologies! 

End Notes:
Again, thank you so much!  You guys have been amazing :]
Thank you! by Bobbilynn

Somehow, I managed to double post the epilogue last night, so I'm just going to use this section as a thank you :]  I'm so sad to see this story end, as I said before, but I'm so excited to finally be able to focus on the other stories more since this one seemed to have taken over my thought process when writing.

As you all know, I have a tendency to start a new story while I'm in the midst of one, and this one was no different.  I was writing a chapter of 'By My Side' and a line that I had written sparked a whole different idea for me that I knew I had to get down.  A line turned into a paragraph; paragraph turned into a page; page turned into a chapter and then, 'Save Me From Myself' was born.

The JC I wrote in this story is nowhere near what I see him in real life.  This one was stubborn, a little naive and a lot more love crazy than I see the real JC, who, to me, is a man who is too independent for his own good, a rare friend (who seems to hold just a small group of close friends near, yet be a social butterfly when the time comes) and lonely.  His independence is the reason for his loneliness, and just by writing that, I have yet another idea.  But I promise, promise, promise I won't write anything until I at least have more chapters of 'By My Side' done! 

Audrina was based on the personality of one of my closest friends.  She was in love with love, in love with the idea of being loved and when it all failed, she ran.  The opportunity rose again and she couldn't give in, fearing that it'd all fail once more.  She was a worrier, depended on the support of her friends and family and wanted to have a family so bad that it sometimes clouded her decision-making skills. 

And in the end, yes, she did get back with the one who ran away.  :] 

Just, thank you so much for loving the story as much as I did ... I could never thank you enough for the reviews and e-mails.  I know I didn't respond to all reviews, and in the beginning, I tried, but I hope you all know I appreciate every little critique on the characters, every 'oh my god' moment, everything :]  You guys are amazing :]

 Don't forget to go to my bio page and sign up for the mailing list :] 

 

B

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=793