The LoveSound Series by Sassy Spacey, Coffee
Summary: Lindsay takes off from her life in California and settles in a small town in the country and tries to start over.

Winner of season 7 at Lovers Of Nsync Fiction Awards: Best Justin & Best Song Based


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 35495 Read: 18375 Published: Apr 13, 2007 Updated: Oct 03, 2009
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter One: What Goes Around by Sassy Spacey

2. Chapter Two: Damn Girl by Sassy Spacey

3. Chapter Three: Love Stoned by Sassy Spacey

4. Chapter Three: Love Stoned (2) by Sassy Spacey

5. Chapter Four: Summer Love by Sassy Spacey

6. Winner of Season 7 for the Lovers Of Nsync Awards by Sassy Spacey

Chapter One: What Goes Around by Sassy Spacey
Chapter One: What Goes Around

Lindsay continued her journey down the deserted high way; her arm propped up on the door as she leaned her head against her hand and held onto the steering wheel with the other. She glanced at her rear-view mirror, and winced at the site: her eye was a little puffy, the slightest hint of red-ish purple surrounding her right eye.

She couldn’t believe that he had punched her; that he went as far as abuse her and knocked her out. She remembered waking up and lying on her back on the floor and having the biggest head ache of her life. She had picked herself off the ground with the help of the couch, and saw the scribbled note from Adam, his pathetic excuse for an apology.

Don't want to think about it
Don't want to talk about it
I'm just so sick about it
Can't believe it's ending this way


She decided then and there that she wasn’t going to live like that anymore. She packed her bags and threw them into the trunk of her car and started driving not really knowing where she was going, anywhere but where she was. She put eyes back on the road, and continued her journey down the stretch of high way.

After traveling for awhile she had an idea of where she wanted to go: somewhere where no one would know her. She remembered this little town that was a couple of hours away from where she grew up. Maybe she could go there, no one from ‘home’ ventured that far out, and she wouldn’t really know anyone around there. After a minute of thinking about it, she decided that was where she was going to go.

She had no family left, her parents had died when she was young and she was raised by her grandmother who died a year ago. Of course she had some family back home, but she hadn’t heard from anyone”or kept in touch with anyone”for years and it would be rude to just show up.

She reached the right exit a couple of hours later and got off, she reached out and grabbed for her sunglasses putting them onto her eyes. She wasn’t going to be able to get a room looking the way she did, too many questions would be asked.

She reached this town as the sun started setting in the country sky; she reached over once again to the passenger seat and grabbed her purse. She got out of the car adjusting her shirt, and patted down her unruly curly light brown hair trying to put the loose strands behind her ears. She licked her lips as she walked towards the main office of the inn, opening the door slowly.

As she opened it, a bell that was hanging above the door jingled and she looked up at it before looking straight ahead at the unoccupied counter.

“Afternoon.” Came a voice that sounded like it was coming from behind the counter.

Lindsay watched as an older, tall, skinny man appeared from behind the counter, smiling pleasantly at her, his glasses on his head resting on his grayish hair.

“Hi” she replied, a little bit startled.

“Can I help you with something?” He questioned, the twang in his voice really evident.

“I just need a room,” she spoke softly.

He man nodded and reached under the counter again, taking out a notebook and opening it to the desired page, slipping the glasses on his face and began writing with a black pen.

“Just one bed?” He asked.

She nodded, walking to the counter to lay her purse across it so she could open it and get her wallet out.

“How long you plan on staying?” he questioned

Lindsay thought about it for a minute.

“Um…a week I think,” she replied. “Can I add more if I need to?”

The man nodded, and continued to write in the notebook.

“Your name Miss?” he questioned

“Lindsay Wood “ she replied.

“Just sign here,” he replied, turning the notebook so it was facing her.

Lindsay held the pen and signed her name quickly, and passed the notebook back.

“It’s $25 a night, so it’s $175 for the week” he said,

Lindsay opened her wallet, and counted through her money. She took out some money at the last gas station stop so she could pay for the hotel room with cash. She didn’t want to risk Adam finding her through the credit card records. She gave him the exact amount, as he walked over to the cash register that was behind him and punched in the amount putting the cash safely inside. He then opened a cabinet where all the keys hung, and took one of them off the hook.

“Room 101,” he said. “It’s right outside to your left.”

Lindsay took the key with a smile.

“Thank you,” she said.

“My name is Ronny by the way,” he replied. “You can call the desk anytime if you have any questions.”

Lindsay smiled.

“Thanks Ronny,” she said.

He nodded.

“Do you need any help with your bags?”

Lindsay shook her head no.

“I think I’ll be okay, thanks though,” she said and started to walk towards the door.

He watched her leave; he couldn’t help but think it was strange that pretty young lady came here to stay. Before she exited the office she turned back to see Ronny watching her.

“Ronny, is there someplace I can get the listings for houses around here?” she questioned.

He nodded.

“There’s a newsstand about a ½ mile down the road to the righ,t” he replied. “They’ll have the listings for homes that are for sale.”

She nodded once again smiled.

“Thank you,” she said.

He nodded back and watched as she opened the door and left. She walked back towards her car that was parked in front of the office and got inside starting it up and driving a little way towards the room she was going to stay in. She parked her car outside room 101, and got out and walked to the door. She looked to her right at the rows of about 5 other doors that led to a room; the place seemed to be empty. She put the key into the lock, and opened the door.

The light from outside emptied into the dark room as she opened the door and she looked around at the dingy room. She moved her hand to the wall and felt for the light switch, she found it and turned it on. The small lamp that was by the bed side turned on and the whole room came into view. It was nothing special; there was a double bed at one end of the room, with the night stand beside it. On the other side of the wall there was a small stand with a small TV on it the V antenna sticking up. There was another door on the far side of the wall that Lindsay assumed was the bathroom.

She sighed and turned back to grab her bags from the car, she closed her doors and locked them before walking into the small room. She set her bags down by the door and closed and locked that door as well. After she closed the door she took off her sunglasses, and blinked a few times adjusting to the light. She put them down on small night stand along with her keys and her purse and then sat down with a huff on the bed and looked around the room once more. She definitely is not going to stay here longer then she had too. After a minute she got up and started to unpack her clothes in the little dresser that was by the bed, and then walked into the small bathroom to unpack her toiletries. As she finished she looked up at the mirror that was in front of her and winced once more. Her eye looked really bad.

Is this the way it's really going down?
Is this how we say goodbye?
Should've known better when you came around
That you were gonna make me cry
It's breaking my heart to watch you run around
'Cause I know that you're living a lie
That's okay baby 'cause in time you will find...


She leaned forward to get a better look and touched it slightly with her pointer finger then winced taking it away. She then looked at her reflection, forgetting her eye for a minute she noticed the bags under eyes”she hadn’t sleep well in days”her hair was a frizzy mess, and her skin paler then usual. She sighed taking a rubber band that she had around her wrist and tied her hair back from her face. She turned on the facet waiting for the pipes to bring in the hot water, as she grabbed the soap from her toiletries bag. She damped her face with the water before rubbing the soap through her hands and began to wash her face. She rubbed her soapy fingers across her cheeks, forehead, and nose, then delicately over her bruised eye.

When she finished, she folded her hands under the luck warm water and put it up to her face running water over her soapy face washing all the soap away. She did this 2 more times before shutting off the facet and grabbing a small towel that was hung by the light switch. She padded her face of the water, taking all of the dampness off her face before looking up at her face in the mirror once more. Her face was freshly cleaned, washed away of the past and ready for a new life.

Her next order of business was to sleep. Ofcourse, she wanted to get a head start on this new life, and she'd need a job and more money. Eventually her bankaccount would run dry and she didn't want to rely on Adam's credit card. He'd probably shut it off soon anyway, if he didn't find her. But before she could accomplish anything else, she needed to sleep. Her head was beginning to hurt again from the exhaustion.

Changing into her pajamas, Lindsay crawled into the middle of the bed. It was smaller than the one she had at home, but then, she wasn't sharing it with anyone, so it seemed much bigger. It was weird, sleeping alone. She'd been with Adam so long, she couldn't remember the last time the other side of the bed was cold. He'd always been there at night, holding her whether she wanted him too or not. He had to hold her, otherwise he'd wake up the next morning and accuse her of sneeking out in the middle of the night.

Letting out a sigh, Lindsay cuddled up against one of the pillows and closer her eyes.

For the first time she felt some sense of security.

~*~


The next morning, bright and early, Lindsay got dressed and headed out for the day. She was going to go get those listings papers she'd asked Ronny about, and then she was going to look around town for any job openings. It was a small town, but there had to be someone looking for a secretary or cashier or something somewhere. She got the papers, and headed over a local diner. At the counter, she engrossed herself in the ads. Nothing sat in front of her but a cup of coffee and a small plate with two pieces of toast and strawberry jam.

"This one doesn't seem so bad," she muttered to herself, clicking open the black ink pen in her hand and circling it.

It was a one bedroom on the other side of town. Not big, not overly expensive. It was a lot cheaper to live here than in the city. Clicking the pen closed, she turned the page and continued reading. She didn't notice the stranger sit down beside her, order a cup of coffee, and pick up two sugar packets from the dispenser.

"Breakfast of champions, eh?" He said.

Lindsay looked up, startled by his presence.

"What?"

"I said, the breakfast of champions. Coffee, toast. You'll be hungry again in an hour."

"I'll manage," she said.

She turned back to her paper and the conversation died. Or so she thought.

"New in town?"

"Huh?"

"I said you must be new in town."

"Why do you say that?" She's more paranoid that curious to his opinion.

"The glasses," he pointed. "That's a sure fire sign you’re from the city."

He talked like they were in Star, Mississippi or something.

"Oh," was her only reply.

"Is there a reason for them?"

"What?" She was starting to get annoyed now.

"Am I speaking too softly or something? Because you keep asking me to repeat everything I say."

"I'm trying to focus."

"Job hunting or house hunting?"

She didn't answer. The stranger shrugged.

"I was just asking if there's any particular reason you were wearing those glasses indoors. Folks around here might start thinking your a vampire, or rude."

What people thought was the least of her worries at the moment.

"Do you plan on talking through my entire meal, or just until your food arrives?"

He let out a low whistle, sipping his coffee cup. He seemed amused by her.

"I didn't mean to intrude ma'am, just sat down where I saw an empty chair."

Lindsay leaned back, looking around the small diner. They were two of only five customers. The entire rest of the counter was empty.

"Well, I'm sure you'll find an abundance of places to sit now."

"On the contrary," he said, setting his cup back on the saucer. "My breakfast time is over."

Lindsay looked up to see the waitress, and older woman with blonde hair, standing in front of them. She handed a brown paper bag to the man, and he handed her a five dollar bill.

"Thank you, Ms. Sarah," he said.

"You're welcome darlin', have a good day."

"You too. See you tomorrow." he stood from his chair and nodded at Lindsay.

"Maybe I'll see you around, City Girl."

With that he turned his back and headed for the door, a bell jingling as he went out. People seemed to have a big affection for bells around here.

Attempting to go back to her paper, Lindsay's curiosity got the best of her, and she motioned to the waitress.

"Who was that guy?" She asked.

"That was Justin. He comes in every morning. Don't pay him no mind, he's harmless as a fly. He just likes making conversation."

Lindsay nodded, and went back to clicking her pen and reading her paper. Hopefully --since apparently she was going to be sharing a restaurant with him every morning-- his curiosity for her would wear off, quickly.

After breakfast Lindsay took a drive down Main St. It actually was a nice, quiet little town. The roads weren't paved, covered with dirt instead. some of the buildings looked like they hadn't been remodeled since the 1800's. She expected a horse and bugee to come around the next corner any moment.

She parked the car in front of the local grocery store and headed down the sidewalk in search of Help Wanted signs in store windows. But with no resume, and her sudden strange appearance in town, she didn't get very far. She'd gone to the local dry cleaner, dentist, and smoke shop, and they all told her no. Crossing the street and heading back up the block she came to the last Help Wanted sign.

Karen Anderson, attorney at law.

Pushing open the door she heard that ever present bell. Inside it was dark and quiet. The only light was that of the sun, barely creeping in through the blinds. It was dusty and stuffy, and apparently empty.

"Hello?" Lindsay called, letting the door slip closed behind her.

"Be right there!" A feminine voice answered.

A moment later a woman came rushing down the hall.

"Sorry 'bout that. I was pullin' some old files down from the attic. Karen Anderson, what can I do ya for?" She stuck out a hand.

The strength of her southern accent threw Lindsay off for a second, but she recovered and shook the woman's hand.

"Um, I'm Lindsay Wood. I wanted to ask about the sign in the window."

"Oh, you want to apply?"

"Yes."

"Well come on back." Karen waved her hand, motioning Lindsay to follow.

Karen lead her down the hall into her office and told her to take a seat.

"Sorry, I just got back into town recently. I'm still getting things back in order around here. Now, let me take a peek at that resume."

"Well, actually, I don't have one."

Karen paused, her eyes moving up towards the girl.

"You don't have one?"

"Well I mean I have one, I've got work experience, it's just not typed up. I moved here kinda last minute."

Karen nodded suspiciously.

"But I went to college, in California. I got my Associates in Business and the moved back up here. My home town is just a couple of hours from here. I've worked at the front desk in my Daddy's auto shop, and I worked at a hotel too."

"Well, is wearing glasses inside a California tradition?"

Lindsay chewed her bottom lip. Karen didn't seem too impressed.

"No."

"Then take 'em off girl, it's rude."

Lindsay sighed, reaching up to remove her dark shades. Almost immediately Karen leaned forward with concern.

"Good Lord, what happened to your eye?"

Lindsay chuckled nervously.

"I swung open a cabinet door. Caught me right in the eye. Won't be doing that anymore, ha ha."

Karen sat back in her chair, folding her hands.

"Did that cabinet door come in the shape of an angry man?"

Lindsay lowered her head. Neither women spoke for a long time, and then she heard Karen sigh.

"Listen, Lindsay-."

"Ms. Anderson," she interrupted. "I'm new in town, and I've only got a couple more weeks till the money runs out. I've had a rough week and I've got nowhere to go. You're the last place in town that's hiring and I really need a job. Please?"

Karen looked at her, her expressions changing.

"Well, it's pretty boring work. Come in at 8am, clean up alittle, answer the phone, take messages, make appointments. We close at 4pm. If ya want it, you can have it."

"Really?"

"Really. You start tomorrow."

Lindsay let out a sigh of relief, letting her tense shoulders slump.

"Oh God. Thank you."

~*~


A short while later Lindsay was leaving Karen's office with a smirk. Though she still had a lot of work left to do, that was on big problem lifted off of her shoulders. She was busy digging in her purse for her car keys, and therefor didn't see the person walking down the sidewalk. They walked right into each other, and both stumbled back.

"Whoa."

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't see you. I-."

The stranger raised his eyebrows.

"It's alright City Girl, no need to panic."

It was the man from the diner, carrying a plastic bag from the grocery store, and a large envelope from the bank was tucked under his arm.

"Sorry," she mumbled.

"Maybe you should consider taking off those glasses."

He smiled and winked before turning his back and heading on his way. Lindsay watched him go a few more feet before he stepped off the sidewalk and over to a black Mercedes SL500. He unlocked the doors and put the bag and envelope in the back. That was a pretty nice car for someone around here to have.

Lindsay rolled her eyes, digging out her keys before she headed off to her own car and back to the motel. She decided that she was going to relax a little before heading out to find someplace to live. She knew she could only rent for right now, but hopefully one day she would be able to actually buy a home.

She walked down the block to her car, looking once again at the shops and businesses that aligned Main St. She spotted the market in the corner and decided to go in and get a few essentials to tide her over for awhile, since eating at the diner would not only cause her money to disappear, but also do a number on her weight.

She walked into the market”the bell ringing above her head”and looked around before picking up a small basket and began walking down an aisle. She put a few essentials in the basket such as water, some apples, and bananas, bread, and a glass jar of that peanut better and jelly mixed together, she didn’t really enjoy it but she didn’t have a fridge to keep that kind of stuff in, not yet anyway.

After determining she was done with the market she walked towards the cashier, adjusting her sun glasses. She was hoping her eye would heal soon, so people wouldn’t think she was so rude, but she couldn’t face people right now, not with this eye.

There was a young boy behind the counter, sitting on a stool leaning on his arm as he looked at a magazine on the counter. When Lindsay put the basket on the counter, he immediately looked up”she obviously caught him off guard”and offered her a small smile.

“Afternoon” he stammered, immediately closing the magazine and pushing it aside.

Lindsay gave a small smile as the boy immediately started to punch in the amounts of the items in front of him into the cash register. She looked at him, noticing the name tag on the right side of his black shirt: Jesse. As he reached for each item she noticed his naturally tanned skin, and she glanced at his face noticing his shaggy dark brown hair and even darker eyes. He couldn’t be any older then 18.

“Did you find everything okay?” he questioned,

Lindsay blinked at him, before looking into his dark orbs “Oh um, yes thanks” she replied.

As he finished ringing up the groceries, he began to put them into 2 plastic bags.

“Your total is $20.87” he said, after pressing the total button on the cash register.

Lindsay dug into her purse, searching for her wallet and found it taking it out and handing Jesse $21. He punched it into the machine and handed her 13 cents back. She stuck the change into her pocket as he put the receipt into one of her bags.

“Do you need help to the car?” he questioned,

Lindsay smiled once again, “No, I think I’m okay” she replied putting her purse over her shoulder and grabbing a bag in each hand.

“Have a good day” he called as she walked out of the door.

She walked towards her car, putting the bags down on the sidewalk as she pulled her keys out of her purse and unlocked her car. She opened the doors, putting the bags inside and walked to the driver side getting in and heading back to the hotel.

~*~


About an hour later Lindsay emerged from the hotel room once again, securely putting the sunglasses over her eyes as she walked to her car. She had her purse over her arm and the newspaper under her arm. She got into her car and looked down at the map that she had gotten from the front desk and looked over the paper once more before starting the car and driving in that designated direction.

After managing not to get lost she pulled up to an old, white, weather stained house. What was she getting herself into? She looked down at the paper to make sure the address was correct, it was. She took a deep breath before opening her door and stepping out of her car.

The light breeze blew her hair across her face as she looked up and down at the small one story building in front of her. She lifted her sunglasses a little bit, to get a better look at the house. It looked like it hadn’t been lived in for years. The ‘For Rent’ sign swayed lightly in the wind, with a phone number scribbled under it, and the grass looked like it hadn’t been watered in months.

She made her way up the squeaky steps to the front door, looking through the window that was on the right side. She saw the small living room area that led to an even smaller kitchen, it looked completely abandoned, there was still furniture covered in a white sheet. It’s not like she had anything to fill up this house with anyway, just a few clothes. Everything else she owned was back at in California, with Adam.

She walked to the front door taking a chance and gripping the door handle, turning it, and the door opened. She watched the door swing open, the light from outside sinking into the house lighting it up just a little. It was too dark; she was going to have to take off her glasses. She lifted them, resting them on her head as she stepped into the house.

There was dust every where, she made a face as she walked into the house looking at the ceiling almost expecting a bell to ring over head. The ceiling looked ok, no spots from leakage or anything. She walked into the living room to what appeared to be a couch covered in the sheet, she lifted it seeing the light blue shade of the 2 seat couch.

She walked from the living room into the kitchen; there was an old antique stove, nestled between two counters and a sink”she wondered if the stove even worked. She turned and on the other side of the kitchen was an even older looking fridge. She walked back out of the kitchen towards the other end of the house where there was 2 doors side by side. She reached for the one on the right, and opened it slowly.

The small room came into view, against the far wall was a sheeted mattress. To the right of it was a 4 door chest of drawers, it wasn’t much but it would have to do. She saw the broken blinds hung up over the rectangle window by the bedside. She closed the door and went to the next room, which was the bathroom. It had a single sink, and toilet that looks centuries old and a bath tub, with a shower head sticking out of the wall. The pipes looked old and rusty, which made Lindsay cringe as she closed the door.

She looked around the room once more, if she could afford it this was where she was going to live. She walked out side; getting a pen and paper from her bag and writing down the number on the ‘For Rent’ sign putting them safely back into her purse. She got her keys out once more, unlocking her car and got inside.

As she drove back to the hotel she spotted the same black Mercedes SL500 driving down the opposite street. She quickly noticed she didn’t have her sunglasses on her head, and she reached up with her right hand slipping them down her face over her eyes. This Justin character was making her very nervous for some reason; she couldn’t put her finger on the reason why. She looked out of her rear view mirror as his car continued its journey down the road. She sighed as she concentrated on the road once more and drove back to the familiar motel.

After reaching the motel she got all of her things out of the car, waving to Ronny as he walked into the office and opened her room getting into it quickly. She dug into her purse for change so that she could call about the house at the pay phone booth that was outside the hotel office. She put her room key into her back pocket, grabbing the phone number and 2 dollars in quarters and headed down to the phone booth.

She dialed the number quickly, and waited for a sign of life on the other end.

“This is Eleanor,” came a sweet voice

“Yes, I’m calling about the house you have for rent on 8792 Delaware Drive,” Lindsay spoke, as calmly as she could.

“The one story?” Eleanor questioned.

“Yes,” Lindsay said. “Can you give me a ball park for the rent you would be asking for?”

Lindsay heard the shuffling of papers, as the lady breathed into the phone.

“It’s going to be $450 a month, which doesn’t include water and power,” Eleanor replied.

Lindsay immediately scribbled down the amount on the paper, before asking her next question.

“Is the furniture included?” She questioned.

“Yes ma’am, last people who were there just picked up and left,” Eleanor said. “Left it all behind.”

“Okay, well I’m very interested. Do you think we can meet somewhere to talk it over?” Lindsay asked.

“Oh, that would be wonderful!” replied Eleanor, her voice going up an octave.

Lindsay sighed in relief.

“Thank you so much,” she said.

“How’s tomorrow morning?” Eleanor questioned.

“I uh, actually start work tomorrow … but I get off at four,” Lindsay suggested.

“Okay, how about 4:30 at the diner?”

“That’s fine, thank you so much,” Lindsay gushed

Eleanor gave a little chuckle, “You’re very welcome, see you tomorrow.”

They both hung up and Lindsay sighed as she leaned against the plastic wall of the booth. Her life was slowly but surely falling into place.
End Notes:
Traci - Spacey1141@hotmail.com
Coffee - jcsdirtylilchica@hotmail.com
Chapter Two: Damn Girl by Sassy Spacey
Chapter Two: Damn Girl

Three weeks later Lindsay parked her car outside the law office and rushed inside. As soon as she unlocked the door, the phone began to ring, and she quickly opened the blinds before running over to her desk.

"Hello?"

She sighed and slumped down into her chair.

"Hello Ms. Gherkins. Yes, yes we did give Lori Evans a call."

As she spoke, Karen walked in the door. She smiled at Lindsay and reached for the post-it the girl held out with her messages.

"No Ms. Gherkins, we did not call the police. You can't have someone arrested for yelling."

Karen chuckled. "That woman is forever in someone else's business."

After finally getting off the phone, Lindsay busied herself cleaning up things around the office, making a pot of coffee, and returning voice messages. She was cleaning the blades of the blinds when she noticed him across the street.

Justin was in front of the dry cleaners, talking and laughing with an older gentleman. She kept seeing him everywhere. Apparently he lived down the road from her, because he passed her house at least twice a day, once going into town and once coming back from it. He was standing there in blue jeans, a white tee shirt, and a blue plaid button-up left open. He and the man were talking animatedly, laughing and patting each other on the back.

"He's a doll baby, isn't he?"

The voice startled her, and she closed the blinds.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Lindsay turned away, going back to her desk.

Karen smiled knowingly.

"Of course you don't. Don't mind me, I'm just speaking ‘bout that handsome young man Justin outside. Do you have that Tidwell file?"

"Yes," Lindsay paused in her typing, reaching for the envelope and handing it to Karen on her way by.

"Oh hey, how's the new house coming? All settled in?"

"Just about. I bought the last of my kitchenware yesterday so I'm pretty good."

"I admire you darlin'. I hate living on my own, I don't know what I'd do if I were on the outskirts of town, all alone, no one around for miles like you."

Karen stopped when she noticed the worried expression growing on Lindsay's face. The older woman smiled and patted her receptionist on the back.

"Don't worry honey, I'm just messing with you. Ain't nothing going to happen to you out there. ‘Sept maybe termites."

Once Karen had returned to her office, Lindsay looked up again, watching Justin through the window as he and the older man headed into the diner on the corner. There was something about that Justin that irked her. She didn't know why, but he did.

~*~


That weekend Lindsay stood in her kitchen, watching dishes and talking on the phone with her friend, Ashlynn, from California.

"So, what is new besides you and your boyfriend getting into a fry fight at McDonalds?" Lindsay asked, lifting a plate from the dishwater.

"Well, Adam came by here looking for you."

"What did he say?"

"He asked where you were, if we had heard from you."

"What did you tell him?"

"I didn't tell him anything, of course. I know he's no good for you. I told you he was no good for you."

"I know Ash, you don't have to rub it in."

"I'm not. You know I want to kill him for what he did to you. You're one of my bestfriends. But why can't you just tell me where you are?"

"We talked about this." Lindsay dried her hands on a dish towel and leaned against the door frame. "I don't want anyone knowing anything until he's disappeared from my life. For all we know he could have turned really psycho and be listening to our conversations or something."

"You're giving him too much credit."

A car pulled into her dirt driveway, kicking up dust. Lindsay turned to look out her kitchen window. A black Mercedes was parked next to her dirty old car.

"Maybe," she mumbled. "Ash listen, I'll call you next weekend. I have some stuff around the house to get too."

"All right sweetie. I love you."

"I love you too."

Lindsay unwrapped herself from the long cord and placed the phone back in its receiver before heading over to her front door. She met Justin on his way up the stairs, the screen door clanking shut behind her like in some old western movie.

"Hey there, City Girl," he smiled.

"What are you doing here?"

He paused, his eyebrows knitting together. Then he started to speak to himself, ad-libbing how he figured their conversation should have gone.

"Hi, how are you?" He tilted his head in the opposite direction. "I'm fine, City Girl, how about yourself?" He tilted his head back. "I'm well. To what do I owe this surprise?"

When he was done, he straightened back up and returned his attention to her.

"I heard through the grapevine that you'd moved in recently."

"Grapevine?"

"Gossip ladies at the grocery store. Actually, they told me about it almost a month ago, you know how small towns are. But I wanted to give you a chance to settle in before I came by."

"Oh."

"I brought you a housewarming gift," he held out something wrapped in a yellow dish towel.

Lindsay took it, hesitantly, and unwrapped the fabric to find an apple pie.

"Don't worry, I didn't bake it myself," he admitted. "I got it from Ms. Sarah at the diner. She's a great cook."

Lindsay nodded slightly.

"Thanks."

Justin nodded back.

"No problem. I figured we should get to be friendly, being neighbors and all."

"Neighbors?"

"Yeah. My house is about a half-mile down the road," he pointed. "I'm the closest one to you. Old man Ackerman, who owns the ammo shop on Main St., he owns all that land behind you. Believe me, you do not want to be caught on his property after dark. He has the worst aim in the county, and he'll use it. All that over there, from the peach trees and beyond is mine."

Lindsay nodded. That was a lot of land for a young man. But then, nothing about him fit in with the small town they were sharing. Nothing except for the southern drawl he spoke with. She glanced up at his eyes, and he was staring back at her.

I've been around the world
Seen a million honeys
Really special girls
Gave all my time and money
But there something 'bout ya
Something that's kinda funny


"Oh, by the way, I'm Justin."

He held his hand out for her. She looked at it cautiously, chewing the inside of her lower lip.

"So guarded." He observed. "It's just a hand shake."

She reached out to shake it.

"And a name."

"Why do you need to know my name?" She snatched her hand back.

"I just figured you'd get sick of me calling you City Girl. And now that you've lost the sunglasses you seem much more approachable."

Yes, because approachable was the look she was going for.

"Lindsay," she supplied.

"There, now as that so hard? But I have to confess, I like City Girl better. The name Lindsay seems too flaky for you, better suited on a blonde."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Lindsay makes me think shopping sprees and tanning lotion. You seem more street smart and sarcastic like a... well... a City Girl."

Lindsay let out a snort and a smirk before she could help it. He really had some kind of nerve about him.

"Oh, what was that? Was that the beginning of a smile I just saw?"

Lindsay wiped it away as quickly as she could, diverting her attention to her sun faded fence momentarily. Justin nodded to himself. She had a tougher shell than he thought, and he had no idea why.

"Well, I don't mean to take up your Saturday, I just wanted to bring that by."

He turned his back and headed down the steps to his shiny black Mercedes.

"Maybe I'll see you around town, City Girl."

Lindsay watched him back his car down her driveway and head off in the direction of his house before she headed back into the house.

~*~


A week later Lindsay was sitting at home when she had the chance to experience her first rain storm, alone. The night had started off like any other. She got home from work, cleaned up a little around the house, made herself some dinner, and read a little bit. She didn't own a TV yet, so she couldn't really kill time with that.

At about ten o'clock the rain started. First it was simple soft tapping on the roof of the house. She was used to that. Lindsay had walked through the house to make sure the roof didn't have any leaks, and everything looked okay. Then she made her way back into the bedroom. She changed into some plaid pajama pants and an oversized sweat shirt.

There was a single lamp on by the bedside, and she turned it on before she crawled into the bed, covering herself in the mounds of blanket she had piled on it. She got under the covers and leaned back against the wall looking outside the window as the rain poured down the side of the house onto the ground. It was starting to rain harder now, the trees blowing roughly in the wind.

"Everything's going to be alright," she said out loud. "It's just a storm."

As if on que there was a crack of lightening and her lamp shut off, the room going completely dark. She couldn't help the scream that left her lips, and she laid flat against the bed, pulling the covers over her head. Her mind came to a realization.

She was going to die in this house.

As she laid there, the sound of thunder boomed through the sky. She saw a few flashes of lightening through the covers.

"I'm alright, I'll be alright," she said out loud.

Lindsay stuck her head out from under the covers, feeling around her bedside table for the flashlight she had kept there for emergencies. She pulled it under the covers with her and turned it on. Instantly the light brightened up the dark space. She took a deep breath, feeling a little better now that things were illuminated. She laid there under the covers for a few more minutes, every once in awhile hearing the faint noise of the thunder cracking in the sky.

She was just about to fall asleep when she heard a pounding on her front door. Her eyes popped open, as she laid there waiting to hear the noise again. When she did, she squealed and climbed under the covers once more. Someone was trying to break into her house. Maybe it was Adam? Maybe he'd found her! Maybe he was here to drag her back to their apartment and lock her away forever.

There was nothing for a minute, and she thought she was safe when she heard the tapping again. But this time it wasn't coming from her front door, it was now coming from her bedside window. She pulled the covers even tighter.

"Lindsay!"

She heard her name being called from outside. She pulled a corner of the blanket back, looking out the window. She saw the silhouette of a figure standing outside her window, illuminated by another flash of lightening.

"Lindsay! It's Justin!"

Justin?

Lindsay got out of the bed, gripping the flash light as she went to the window. She opened the curtains, flashing the light in his face. There he was, standing there in jeans and black hoodie, soaked to the bone.

"Jesus!" he yelled, closing his eyes at the light.

Lindsay almost sighed in relief as she saw him. Although she would never admit it, she was happy to see him.

"What are you doing here?" She called back.

He squinted at her.

"Can I come in?" He questioned. "It's a little wet."

She nodded to him, and rushed to the front door. She unlocked it and opened it up, along with the screen door. Justin came from about the corner stepping up onto the porch, his heavy boots clanking as he walked. She held the front door open for him as he walked inside, and closed and locked the door behind him.

"Everything okay?" He questioned, looking around the house. "No leaks or anything?"

Lindsay looked at him, crossing her arms around her chest and holding the flash light securely in her hand.

"Fine," she stated. "No leaks."

"Good," he nodded. "Do you have a towel or something? I'm dripping on your floor."

She nodded and walked to the bathroom to grab him a towel. When she came back, she handed it to him. He nodded his thanks as he wrapped the towel around himself. Then he kicked off his boots and set them by the door. Lindsay watched him. She couldn't offer him anything because the power was out, other wise she would have made him a cup of tea or something.

"Crazy storm isn't it?" he questioned, looking at her.

She looked up at him.

"Yeah," she said. "I'm okay though."

"Yeah?" He asked. "I could of swarn I heard some screaming a few minutes ago."

She gave him a dirty look.

"Yeah, well, having a complete stranger pop up at my window isn't something to be happy about."

He smirked, "I'm not a complete stranger."

Lindsay remained quiet as she watched him continue to try and dry himself off. Once he pulled the hood off his head, he ran a towel over it, and she noticed that his semi curly hair that was starting to grow back. It was completely shaven off when she first met him. Had she been here that long? She watched him as he peeled off the black hoodie; all he had underneath was white wife beater.

"Do you want me to hang that up?" She asked pointing to his sweat shirt.

He nodded, holding it out.

"Thank you."

She took it from him and walked into the bathroom, wringing it out before hanging it up on one of the bars she'd installed. She then went into her room to grab a few blankets. She handed him a blanket and wrapped the other around her and sat down on the couch.

"The power's out all over," Justin stated. "But it should be up tomorrow. It happens around here from time to time."

Lindsay nodded, watching him curiously. This guy just did not fit in this small town; everything about him seemed more business like. Up until now though, she'd never really noticed that he was a handsome man. Pearly white teeth and pretty blue eyes. Instead of sitting next to her he sat down across from her on one of the overstuffed chairs she had there.

"So, you from around here?" He questioned.

Lindsay looked at him.

"Kind of," she stated. "I grew up a few hours away."

"That's a shock." He sat back. "So you weren't always a city girl?"

She shook her head.

"I lived there for a long time. I guess it just rubs off."

He nodded. She watched him take a look around the house once more. She knew he was just trying to be friendly, but she couldn't help but think of what his motive could be. Everyone had one; she wasn't that naïve.

"Did you try that pie yet?" he turned back to her.

Lindsay nodded.

"It was really good. Thank you," she said.

She remembered first cutting into it and had considered tossing it. Who knows what could have been in that thing, even if Ms. Sarah had made it. But then she chalked it up to her being paranoid and decided to cut herself a piece. She was quiet surprised. She hadn't been able to find an apple pie that was as good as her grandma's had been, but Ms. Sarah's did it.

"I'll let Ms. Sarah know you enjoyed it." he said

She nodded, and pulled one of her legs up under herself.

"So Justin, exactly what do you do?" she questioned.

"Odd jobs here and there," he replied simply.

Hmm, odd jobs?

"How do you afford that expensive car you drive?"

Justin smirked at her. She was getting bolder with him, which meant she was getting more comfortable with him. That was exactly what he was going for.

Girl it's what you do to me
It's got me saying
Damn girl...... you're so fine
The way you let me put it down, girl
Just blows my mind
I guess I gotta put it down tonight
I gotta put it down
ohh ohh ohh


"Old money," he simply stated. "My parents, not mine."

"Oh," she said simply, and wrapped the blanket tighter around herself.

"You like your job there with Karen?" He changed the subject.

Her eyebrows knitted. How did he know where she worked? It was like Adam all over again, he knew everything about her: where she worked, who she had lunch with, who she went out with. Justin noticed the expression on her face, and he held up his hands.

"I'm not a stalker," he proclaimed. "I just ran into her walking to my car the other day and she told me."

"Well, you're quite friendly aren't you?"

He smirked once more.

"It's a small town. There are few secrets." He replied. "Speaking of which, Jesse at the market is in love with you."

She gave him a dirty look, and he laughed out loud this time. He had one of those loud laughs, especially when he thought it was funny. She couldn't help but smirk at him as he laughed at her expense.

"He really is," Justin said. "He can't stop talking about you."

Poor kid, she didn't want to get involved with anyone right now. Her nerves were still on edge from her pervious relationship. She was too complicated, and she knew that. Besides, Jesse was obviously too young and she wasn't about to be his first.

"Well, tell him I'm flattered, but I think I want to be alone right now." Lindsay spoke before thinking.

"Do you?" Justin asked. "Really?"

Lindsay looked away from him, to the window. The lightening and thunder had stopped, all that was going on now was the steady patter of rainfall. Justin was watching her intently. She seemed to grow more and more nervous with his question, and she began to bite her bottom lip.

"Sorry. I'm sorry," he said. "Didn't mean to pry."

Lindsay stood up from the sofa.

"I think it's safe for you to leave now," she stated.

She turned her back, walking to the bathroom without not even waiting for his response. Justin sighed as he stood up, unwrapping the blanket from his body when Lindsay came back from the bathroom with his semi dried sweat shirt. She handed it to him and watched as he slipped it onto his skinny frame.

"Thank you for coming to check on me," she said simply.

He glanced to her as his head came through the top of the sweat shirt, and nodded.

"No problem," he said. "Let me know if you ever need anything."

Justin walked to the door and slipped his boots back on, then he opened the door and turned to Lindsay as she watched him.

"See you around," he said, and slipped out of the door.

Lindsay went to the door and locked it securely before moving to look out the window. She watched Justin walk down the steps of her porch and begin his jog back down the road to his house.

She sighed, grabbing the wet towel Justin had been using from the floor and taking it back into the bathroom. As she hung it up on the bar, she got a whiff off this incredibly musky scent coming from it. She lifted the towel close to her nose and smelled the scent once more. It smelled unbelievably familiar. Shaking her head free of the thoughts, she gathered the blankets they'd used in the living room and went back into the bedroom. She had to get some sleep, she had work tomorrow.

~*~


Morning came quickly, and Lindsay was late. She pulled up to work, parked her car, and hastily ran to the front door. The phone wasn't ringing this time, so she quickly opened the blinds, and made the coffee to get ready for Karen's arrival.

A few hours later, the day had been going quite well, with the exception of her being late, but now she was starving. She hadn't had time for breakfast, and Karen didn't really like her eating at the desk because of the risk of messing up files and things. She'd have to wait until lunch. Luckily for her, Karen wanted something from the diner, so Lindsay called and placed two to-go orders about fifteen minutes before going to pick them up.

She walked out of the building, slipping in her sunglasses -this time because of the sun- and made her way to the diner. As she walked she closed her eyes, and sniffed the air taking in the country air. She was starting to like it here; she could see herself here years from now. It was small and quiet, and the people were friendly. As long as Adam stayed away, she would survive.

While crossing the street, she glanced down an alleyway and noticed something familiar. A tall man with messy brown hair, and a strangely attractive five o'clock shadow. Her heart began to beat a little faster. She could have sworn it was Adam. She stopped immediately, taking cover behind the building, and lifted her sunglasses to look down the aisle once more. The man was walking towards her, but she didn't quite see who it was. She let out a soft, frightened cry and started to walk quickly down the street toward the diner. She looked back, over her shoulder, seeing the man step from around the corner. She quickened her pace, forgetting to watch where she was going, and ran smack dab into a hard chest, her glasses flying to the floor.

"Whoa."

Lindsay looked up at the figure she ran into and sighed. Justin.

"Where you off to so fast, City Girl?" He put his hands on her arms to balance her.

"Umm, I'm going to the diner. I don't really have time to talk right now," she was busy looking over her shoulder, in search of the man.

"You've got to stop running into me like this. What did I tell you about these glasses?" Justin leaned down to pick them up.

He blew the dust off and held them out for Lindsay. Her mind was preoccupied, and she didn't take them.

"Uhhh, yeah. Sorry."

"Hey," Justin tugged her elbow gently. "Lindsay?"

She turned when she heard her name.

"You okay?" His face displayed concern.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine."

"You look scared."

"No, I'm fine."

"You're shaking a little."

"I'm fine."

"And you're kinda pale."

"Justin," she said sternly. "I'm fine. I just,-" she looked back one last time, "I thought I saw a ghost from my past."

"I'm guessing it's not a ghost you're looking forward to reuniting with anytime soon."

"Not as long as I can help it."

Justin nodded, chewing on that piece of information for a moment. She looked fidgety and antsy. He didn't like it.

"I have to go," she stated, attempting to move past him.

"Where are you headed?" He stepped to the side, blocking her escape.

She didn't look calm enough to be roaming the sidewalks alone. Something had quite obviously spooked her.

"I'm picking up lunch at the diner."

"I'll walk you there."

Instantly she shook her head. "No. I-."

"Uh-uh," he said simply. "I won't take no for an answer."

Lindsay sighed. She didn't have the strength or time to argue with him. She nodded okay and Justin motioned for her to begin walking. He smiled as he fell in step beside her.

"So, do you want to tell me about this ghost person?"

Lindsay sucked her teeth and looked down at the ground.

"Bad opening line. Let me start again," he said. "How's your day so far?"

"My day is fine," she replied politely. "How is yours?"

"I can't complain. I'm alive and I'm free."

"Are those really all that matter in your world?" Lindsay paused at the door to the diner.

She didn't wait for him to answer before she turned her back and walked in. But Justin followed behind her with a smile.

"When you get down to the bottom line, does anything else really matter?"

"Yeah. Things like food, water, rent, and electricity seem to come to mind. Then there's car notes and insurance."

"I like the way you think, City Girl. And yes I agree, those things are important. But you have to be alive to enjoy or need any of that stuff, right?" He leaned his elbows on the counter, raising his eyebrow in a challenge.

Lindsay rolled her eyes.

"Besides, a lot of those are luxuries, not necessities. You could survive without them if you had too."

"Have you gone without any of them?"

He smiled at her question. She was getting bold again.

"Not yet, unless camping counts."

"Camping doesn't count. That's living like a Neanderthal by choice."

After getting the two brown bags of food from Ms. Sarah, Lindsay headed back towards Karen's office. Against her wishes, Justin insisted on following.

"I really think that I can make it back to work on my own, Justin. I wouldn't want to inconvenience you."

"You're not," he said, taking the bags from her hands. "I have nothing else going on at the moment."

"No odd jobs today?"

"Not today. Tomorrow I think I'll paint a fence though."

"Mmhmm."

They walked in silence past a few stores before Justin spoke again.

"You should let me take you to dinner sometime."

"I should?"

"Yes."

Lindsay stopped in her tracks, a building away from her office, and put her hands on her hips.

"And why should I do that?"

"Do you have better dinner plans tonight?"

She took her hands off her hips and crossed them over her chest.

"I'm just being friendly," he held up his hands. "I wasn't trying to pressure you into a date or anything. Is that what you thought? I wanted to date you? No. No no."

If she wasn't so annoyed, she might have been insulted. But she knew he was lying by the ever present smile on his face.

"Okay listen, to make it even less date like, why don't you come to my place for dinner. That's not a date, right? You go out on dates."

Lindsay's demeanor didn't change, but he wasn't discouraged in the slightest.

"How's eight o'clock? You bring the salad, I'll handle everything else. We'll eat, we'll chitchat, you can see that I'm not an obsessed stalker. It'll be fun. Come on. Please?"

Lindsay let out a sigh, taking her paper bags from him and walking to the front door. She pushed it open and stepped inside, expecting that to be the end of their conversation. She was wrong however, because a moment later the bell above the door rang and Justin was standing in front of her desk..

"Can I help you?"

"You forgot these," he held out her infamous glasses.

Lindsay blushed a little and took them, dropping them into her purse on the floor. She looked up at him, and he was trying to hide his amusement.

"Thank you."

"No problem," he said, walking backwards toward the door. "I'll see you tonight, City Girl. Eight o'clock. Don't be late, otherwise I'll never let you ask me out again."

The bell jingled again when he left and Lindsay shook her head. He really was some kind of character. When Lindsay looked up again, she noticed Karen in the hall, grinning from ear to ear. The woman opened her mouth to speak and Lindsay cut her off.

"I don't want to hear it. It's not a date."

Karen nodded, not believing a word, and turned to go back into her office.

"It's not a date," Lindsay told herself. "It's just dinner. Not a date."

~*~


Around 7:45pm that evening Lindsay found herself standing at her kitchen counter, cutting the last little bit of carrots for the salad. She had no idea why. Justin was intrusive and annoyingly persistent, but at the same time, it was good to have the little bit of company he provided. While she had gotten to know a few other people in town, he was the only one, besides Karen, that she'd had actual conversations with. Plus he did have a point, they might as well get to be friendly, being neighbors and all.

With the salad finished she tossed the ingredients around in the bowl a few times before cleaning up her mess and heading off towards his house. She figured that since he lived so close by, she could walk instead of drive. It was a nice evening anyway, and she wanted to enjoy it.

By the time she neared his driveway, her white and navy tennis shoes were covered with dust and dirt from the side of the road. Luckily she'd been thinking clearly enough to cover the top of the salad bowl in plastic wrap before leaving.

Justin's house could be seen from awhile up the road. It was a big white two-story with bay windows and a porch that wrapped completely around it. Sitting outside was the black Mercedes, and parked in the shed in the backyard was an old red Camero. While the affection for cars was typical for a guy his age, the house was not.

The door was open, and she could see into the living room as she approached. A country CD was playing somewhere, a man singing about a gorgeous woman from his younger years. The house appeared to be decorated nicely in pretty cremes and browns. It looked warm and homey and comfortable. It looked like it had a woman's touch.

"Hello?" Lindsay knocked on the wood frame of the screen door.

The volume on the music lowered, and a moment later Justin appeared, wiping his hands off on a towel.

"You made it," he smiled, unlatching the screen and holding it open for her.

"Yeah, and I brought the salad, as requested."

He took the bowl from her hands, and headed towards the kitchen.

"I'm sure it'll be great. Take your jacket off, have a seat."

Lindsay followed him into the kitchen, putting her jacket on the back of a chair and sitting down to watch him. It was a nice size kitchen, with a steel microwave and refrigerator. All the other small appliances, a blender and mixer, were pale yellow. That was definitely a woman thing.

"You didn't have any trouble finding me, did you?" He asked.

"Not at all. Right up the road, can't miss it."

He smiled at her before going back to slicing something up on the counter. Lindsay's eyes wondered around the house, as she took in the rest of the decorations.

"Did you decorate yourself?" She asked him.

Justin shook his head.

"My mother," he sighed. "She insisted."

Lindsay couldn't help but smile, and she looked away, trying not to giggle. Mama's boy. She recovered as he walked into the dinning room with the bowl of salad that she had brought over, and a plate with French bread all cut up on it. He set them on the table before walking back into the kitchen.

"Do you need help?"

The silence was killing her.

Justin shook his head again.

"I'm fine," he said. "I'm almost done."

"Can I at least get the drinks?" She questioned.

This was feeling like a date, and it was making her nervous.

"If you insist," he said.

Lindsay stood up and walked into the kitchen, moving around Justin to the other side of the kitchen where the refrigerator was. As she passed him she smelt that same musky scent she had smelled the other night on the towel he had used.

"I'll just take a beer," he said. "You can have whatever."

She opened the fridge, cold air rushing out of it and covering her body. She leaned forward to look at the contents, and took out a bottle of beer for Justin, and a pitcher of sweet tea he had in there. She was not about to get drunk in front of him”two beers and she was a little tipsy. She put them both on the counter then turned to him.

"Cups?"

He pointed to the cupboard across from her. Lindsay reached for it, taking out a medium sized glass and went back to the freezer to put some ice in it. She poured her glass and put the pitcher back into the fridge, then picked up the bottle and the cup and carried them into the dining room.

She sat down, and glanced down at the plates that were already set on the table. They were of regular size for plates, but they looked almost hand painted. A delicate blue shade was swirling around in the a flowery design. She couldn't help but lift it up and look underneath.

"It's a family heirloom," Justin spoke.

Hearing those words, Lindsay went to put the plate back down, and almost dropped it. She looked at Justin, feeling like a mouse caught by a cat. He smiled, trying not to laugh. He didn't want to embarrass her.

"You eat on them?" She asked.

"They're plates, aren't they?" He questioned back.

He put down the plates he was carrying; one with barbequed chicken, and the other was corn on the cob. Justin went to the kitchen once again and brought back a saucer of butter for the bread, and two bottles of salad dressing. He sat down across from her at the small square table, and pulled his chair up. Lindsay turned so she was sitting properly at the table, putting her hands in her lap.

"Do you mind if I say grace?" He asked.

Lindsay shook her head no. He bent his head, folding his hands in front of him as he closed his eyes. Lindsay semi-bowed her head, closing her eyes momentarily, then opening them slightly to watch him. She never really was a church goer, especially after her parents died. She couldn't understand why God would take them from her at such a young age. She would go with her grandma sometimes, but not often.

"Lord, thank you for the food set before us. Let it nourish and strengthen our bodies, and to keep us both safe in whatever we do. Amen."

"Amen," Lindsay mumbled.

Justin lifted his head to look at her, and she watched him as well.

"Well, guests first," he offered.

Lindsay reached over, taking the salad bowl and putting some onto her plate. As she did this, Justin took a piece of the French bread and buttered it. After they had everything on their plates that they wanted, they began eating and making small talk.

"So, are you close to your parents?" She asked, eating some salad.

"More or less," he replied.

Not really much else to say. Lindsay watched him. Hmm, sore subject? For someone who was so sure of themselves, that was odd.

"I use to be, but we had some differences," he stated taking a drink of his beer.

"Oh," Lindsay said as she took a drink of her tea.

"What about you?" He asked her. "Are you close to your parents?"

Lindsay looked at him, as she put the glass down and licked her lips.

"Not exactly," she said.

He looked at her, and Lindsay sighed. Why did she have to start this?

"They died when I was five," she said. "It was a tornado. I happened to be at a friends house that night."

Justin watched her expression change right before his eyes. He was sorry he asked.

"So, where did you go after that?" he questioned.

"My grandmother took care of me," Lindsay said. "She died a year ago."

Slowly some of the pieces as to why she was the way she was, were coming together. She hadn't gone through life in the best of circumstances.

"No brothers or sisters?"

Lindsay shook her head.

"I graduated from high school and moved to California," she spoke. "Never looked back."

Justin responded with a nod, as he began to cut up his chicken. They ate in silence for a few more minutes, both of them trying to think of something to say; something that would change the awful topic.

"Do you have any brothers or sisters?" Lindsay asked, taking a drink of her tea.

Justin nodded.

"Yeah, two brothers. I don't see them often."

"They never come visit you? Or vice versa?"

"I don't go home much. There's issues with my mom."

"Don't you miss them?"

She could only imagine having brothers and never seeing them. She was certain she would miss them terribly.

"Sometimes," he stated.

Lindsay took a bite of her corn, making a satisfied face as she put it back on her plate.

"Wow, that's good," she said.

"You like that?" He smiled proudly. "It's fresh grown from the backyard."

"Wow, you grow your own vegetables too?" Her voice was sarcastic.

He rolled his eyes at her.

"I was taught well."

"By who?"

Once she blurted it she almost smacked herself for bringing up the family topic again.

"My grandma, Sadie," he stated. "She had an award winning garden."

Again, she couldn't help but wonder what was this guy doing out here in the middle of nowhere.

Their night continued, making small talk as they finished eating. Afterwards, Justin got up and cleared the table. Lindsay insisted on helping. It was not a date, so she should have been helping. Justin washed the dishes while Lindsay dried, and put them away, with the help of Justin of course.

Later they were sitting in the living room, Justin's CD still playing quietly in the stereo. Lindsay sat at one end of the comfortable couch as Justin sat on the other, facing her.

"That was actually pretty good," she complimented.

"Were you surprised?"

"Little bit,"she smiled.

Ahh, he finally got her to smile. He couldn't help but smile back.

"So, who's fence are you painting tomorrow?" Lindsay asked.

"It's actually a couple of buildings. Ronny wants me to paint the motel again."

"Do you do that often?" She questioned.

"Every couple of months. With the weather, sometimes it needs it."

"It's gonna be a hot one tomorrow. Wear some sun block," Lindsay warned.

"Aw, you worried about me?" He teased.

Lindsay rolled her eyes once more.

"I'm just saying."

He smiled, and they remained quiet for a moment, watching each other.

I said there something 'bout the way you do the things you do
When you do the things you do
It's got me ohh ohh ohh
I said there something 'bout the way you do the things you do
When you do the things you do
It's got me ohh ohh ohh


"Why don't you meet me on my lunch break tomorrow?" He suggested.

Lindsay's eyes widened slightly.

"I don't know," she said.

"You got plans already?"

"Well, no but-," she started.

"Great, I'll be at the diner at one."

"I didn't say yes," she gave him that look.

He smirked.

"Well, if you change your mind," he said.

Lindsay nodded and looked at the clock, it was almost 11. She should probably start walking back to the house. It was dark and passed bedtime. She started to stand up, Justin watching her intently.

"I should probably go," she said, stretching her arms.

"Are you sure?" He glanced at his watch. "It's only 11."

"I know," she started. "But I have to walk back, and it's dark."

Justin nodded. He knew it was just an excuse, but he agreed. It was better then pushing her, and then her being mad at him. She walked over to grab her jacket from the chair and slipped it on. Justin had gone to get her bowl from the kitchen. They met at the front door, and he handed her the bowl.

"I should walk you," Justin insisted.

Lindsay was about to deny his request, but he had already opened the door and practically pushed her out of it and closed it behind himself. He started walking down the steps, forcing Lindsay to follow him. She sighed, stepping off the porch, holding the bowl securely in her hands. They started their journey down the road to Lindsay's small one bedroom house.

"Well, I hope you had fun on this non-date," he said.

Lindsay looked at him, and smirked as he looked straight ahead.

"I did," she said. "It was nice to have company."

"There you see, that wasn't so bad," he nudged her arm.

She smiled once more, giving a small giggle as she nudged him back. They reached her house some minutes later, and she got out her key, unlocking her door.

"Well, thanks for cooking, it was great," Lindsay said standing in the doorway.

"My pleasure," he winked.

They stood there in silence for a while before Justin finally spoke.

"Well, if you decide to join me for lunch, I'll be at the diner, one o'clock."

He turned to walk off the steps onto the ground.

"Bye," Lindsay said, closing the door.

She watched him through the window as he walked down the street once more. Then she let out a sigh and headed into her bedroom. What an interesting evening.

~*~


Lindsay could not sleep that whole night. She tossed and turned, her mind going to Justin and their conversation; what they talked about and what he had asked her. Should she go? Should she not go? Did she really want to get involved with him right now? He knew she wasn't looking for that kind of relationship, but yet, he was persistent. She had to make a decision.

She finally fell asleep about four hours before her alarm was to go off for the next day. When it did, she dragged herself out of bed, exhausted. She pulled herself into the shower to try and wake herself up more. It kind of worked. She had a little breakfast and got into her car, driving to work.

Things went as usual”something she was used to for once. She had just finished organizing Karen's appointments for the next week when she happened to glance at the clock. 12:45. She had to make the choice now.

Twenty minutes later Lindsay stepped into the diner, looking around for any sign of Justin. At was just after one, he might not have arrived yet. Then she spotted him in the corner, his face half covered by the paper menu. She walked over, sitting in the booth in front of him.

"Afternoon, City Girl," he smiled, setting his menu down.

"Afternoon." She removed her sunglasses and set them on the table.

"You decided to come."

"This is not a date," she clarified.

Justin raised his hands in submission.

"Not a date."

Lindsay nodded, getting settled in the booth. Ms. Sarah brought their glasses of water, smiling shyly at them both.

"So, what's new?"

"You mean in the last 13 hours?" Lindsay sipped her water and set the glass back down. "Absolutely nothing. Got hissed at by a wild goose in my front yard this morning, but that's about it."

Justin chuckled.

"They show up in the summer. You gotta be careful around them, they'll get you, and it hurts like hell."

Lindsay nodded knowingly.

"Anything interesting with you?"

Justin shook his head, reaching up to pull off his baseball cap. Lindsay caught a glimpse of white paint on his forearm.

"I went to bed last night, started working on painting the motel this morning."

"How's that going?"

He shrugged. "Fences are easier."

True.

Ms. Sarah came back and they ordered their meals. He got a quarter-pounder burger, and Lindsay asked for a chicken sandwich. Ms. Sarah took the menus and left again, the same shy smirk on her face. They sat there for a moment in silence.

"You look like you wanna ask something but you're not sure how," he said.

Lindsay nodded at his ability to be so observant.

"So, Justin, what happened with your Mom that made you move out here?" She asked nonchalantly.

Might as well come right out with, now that he knew it was burning on her tongue. What she wasn't expecting was his counter question.

"What happened in California that made you move out here?" His hand swept across the table, brushing imaginary crumbs onto the floor.

Lindsay poked out her lips. She didn't like that question.

"Why don't you ever go home?"

Again his response was in the form of another question.

"Who's the ghost you thought you saw yesterday?"

She folded her arms over her chest. Was he playing a game with her?

"What's your last name?"

"What's your last name?"

Lindsay's eyes narrowed and he laughed.

"I thought you were street wise, City Girl," he said. "You should know that you can't get information without giving up some. If you want to ask questions, you're going to have to answer some as well. Why don't we just call a truce?"

"A truce? Why?"

"So you can stop being so evasive and looking at me like I hide outside of your bedroom window at night."

"You do."

"It was one night! And I was just looking in on you. You do one good deed..."

Lindsay laughed to herself as he muttered. When he heard her giggle, he looked up and raised his eyebrow.

"Oh I see," he said. "That was your version of a joke. Ha ha."

"Well, I do try."

Justin took another sip of his water, smirking at her over the rim. She was getting more comfortable with him.

"So, can we move on from the impersonal small talk and declare ourselves in a relationship?"

He sounded nothing like the witty country-boy he was portraying himself to be. Regardless, Lindsay gave him a look at the word ‘relationship'. He raised his hands innocently.

"A platonic relationship," he clarified. Then he held his hand out to her.

"Friends?"

She eyed him suspiciously for a moment before reaching out to shake it.

"Friends."

He smiled, "Aw, check you out now, City Girl. I remember when you were too afraid to shake my hand."

"I wasn't afraid," she defended. "I just didn't like you."

"But you like me now?"

Her eyes rolled. Of course he'd say that. But she had set herself up for it.

Their lunch continued, but their impersonal topics of conversation remained. He was waiting for her to ask first, because he didn't want to pry into her life, though he was dying to know the details of what had made her so cautious of life, and how she'd ended up in this small town when home was just a few hours away. But one of the first things he'd learned about her was that she'd shut down when pushed.

Lindsay was afraid to ask him about his life as well, not because she was weary of his answers, but because she knew that would open doors for him to ask her questions as well. She wasn't sure how ready she was to open up to him, even if they were friends now.

After lunch, Justin insisted on walking Lindsay back to the office. He said it was the cordial and gentlemanly thing to do. She'd expected it, and didn't put up much of a fight. He could be good conversation at times. They walked quietly for awhile, commenting on how good the food was from time to time. When they neared the law office, Justin stuck his hands in his pockets and spoke.

"You should let me take you out."

Lindsay stopped walking.

"Excuse me?"

"I want to take you out. But on a date, not another non-date."

She put her hands on her hips and cocked one eyebrow up.

"I get it," he said, reading her body language. "I'm asking for too much all at once. First for us to be friends, and now for a real date. I should know better. That's too much commitment in one day."

Lindsay snorted a laugh.

"I'll ask tomorrow," he told her.

"Don't ask tomorrow."

"Well I'm gonna ask either today or tomorrow. Which one is more convenient for you?"

Lindsay laughed out loud, and he smiled.

"Come on, City Girl." He nudged her arm gently. "It's just one date. It'll be fun. If you hate it, we can go back to the platonic friend thing."

She watched him for a moment before reaching up to rub her forehead. Against her better judgement, and the screaming voices in her head, she nodded.

"Alright. One date, Justin. One."

"That's all I'm asking."

"And if I'm uncomfortable, we go back to being friends."

"Of course," he grinned. "But you're not going to hate it or be uncomfortable."

The look on his face was far to cocky, and she turned her back to go into the office.

"You're not gonna regret it City Girl," he called. "You like me now, but by the end of the night you're gonna love me!"

Lindsay closed the door as he yelled his last words. She leaned back against the wood, letting out a sigh. What was she getting herself into?

Out of the corner of her eye she spotted Karen, standing in the hall with a smile.

"Don't say it," she said, moving toward her desk. "I don't want to hear it."
End Notes:
Traci - Spacey1141@hotmail.com
Coffee - jcsdirtylilchica@hotmail.com
Chapter Three: Love Stoned by Sassy Spacey
Author's Notes:
The long awaited chapter is here! Hope you enjoy it!
Chapter Three: Love Stoned

"So, that Justin seems pretty smitten with you." Karen leaned an arm on the counter in front of Lindsay's desk and smiled down.

"What makes you say that?"

"I ran into him in the grocery store the other day and asked him about all the lunch hours ya'll are spending together. He started grinning like a fool, reminded me of how my first husband would look when he'd pass his mistress in the office."

Lindsay looked up.

"That's how I found out she was the mistress." Karen shrugged. "Plus, Jesse has sworn hatred for Justin. He thinks that you were supposed to be off limits once he professed his feelings for you to Justin. It was the ultimate young love betrayal."

Lindsay just smirked, and rested her chin in her hand. Poor kid. She had to let him down easy the next time she went shopping there.

"So, do you like him?" Karen pushed.

"I wouldn't go that far."

"Well, most girls around here don't get boys to walk them anywhere unless they plan on courting each other."

"I don't get him to walk me anywhere. He stalks me."

"Yet you haven't called Sheriff Harris," Karen smiled.

The younger woman sighed.

"So, does your hesitancy with Justin have anything to do with the black eye you had before?"

She bit her lip.

"I don't know. Everything is just so different now, and I don't want to end up back there again. And Justin is so annoyingly persistent."

"Yeah, he has a way of weaseling in where you don't want him, at least, it's where you think you don't want him. Does he know about ‘cabinet man'?"

Lindsay shook her head.

"Well, before you write him off, give him a chance to prove himself. And if you really want to be honest, tell him about what happened. I'm sure he'll understand your need to take things slowly."

"There's nothing to take slowly," she went back to her computer screen. "There's nothing between us."

Karen nodded knowingly.

"When do you think you'll see him again?"

Her fingers paused on the keyboard.

"We're having dinner tonight."

~*~


Justin had told Lindsay not to dress too nice, just something she would be comfortable in. She opted for some jeans and a tank top under a blue and white checkered button down shirt. She had just slipped on her white and blue tennis shoes, when Justin knocked on the door. Before running to open it she slipped on her sunglasses and looked at herself in the mirror once more. Justin was right about the sunglasses. She sighed, took them off, and put them on the bathroom counter. Then, running a hand through her hair once more, she rushed to the door to answer it.

"Hey," Justin said, smiling brightly.

He was dressed in faded jeans, and a white baseball tee with black sleeves, along with his black chucks.

She smiled.

"Will I need a jacket?"

He shrugged.

"Couldn't hurt, but we're not going far," he said.

She nodded, and grabbed one of the jackets she had hanging by the door, tying it around her waist and grabbing her keys before closing and locking the front door. She walked down the steps to catch up to Justin, who was waiting for her at the bottom.

"Where are we going?" she asked, walking in step with him.

"You'll see." He continued down the road.

Lindsay looked out at the horizon as they passed his house and headed down a trail off to the side. After a little while longer they were coming up to a huge oak tree. It was summer time, so the sun stayed out longer and the day seemed to go by slower. The land around them was completely covered in grass. Grass so tall that you could lay down and almost not be seen. Justin turned when he noticed she wasn't walking as fast as him, and noticed her looking around the property.

"C'mon City Girl, it's only the country," he teased.

She looked at him, and rolled her eyes before running a little to catch up to him.

"You're a comedian, you know that?" She said.

"Don't you love it?" He gave a cheesy smile.

They continued their walk for several more feet, when she noticed something out in the distance. There was a bright red and white blanket lying in a clearing of the grass and a light wooden basket sitting next to it under the shade of a big oak tree. To the right of the blanket was a big fire pit, stacked with wood and old newspapers.

‘Creative,' Lindsay thought as she followed him.

They reached the blanket, and Justin turned to Lindsay to see her reaction.

"What are we having?" She questioned.

He laughed.

"Thanks. No, ‘wow Justin that is so sweet of you! Thank you so much'," he said, his voice high to imitate a girl.

She gave him that look, and then batted her eye lashes.

"Wow, Justin, all this for me?" she put a hand to her chest, "How ever will I repay you?"

He smirked and nodded.

"Much better."

When he turned away she lowered her head and mumbled.

"I'm not gonna kiss your ass."

"No one said you had too. But I wouldn't turn down the offer." He winked, and nudged her arm.

She laughed, her jaw dropping open, and nudged him back. He laughed as he went and sat down on the blanket, Lindsay following his lead. She sat down next to him on the blanket, which was a step in the right direction for Justin. He opened the basket, taking out two bottles of water and putting them on the blanket.

"Now it's not the most exciting thing, but I have to confess that I can make a pretty mean sandwich," he said, taking out two flat square tupperware containers.

He set them down on the blanket and then pulled out two small bags of kettle chips. He quickly closed the lid of the basket, and Lindsay looked at him curiously.

"What else are you hiding?" She questioned.

He laughed, eyeing her suspiciously.

"Nothing," he said, reaching for a bag of chips.

"Something," Lindsay said, leaning over to grab the basket.

Before she could put her hands on it, he quickly grabbed the handle and pulled it behind him.

"Aren't you hungry?" He asked.

Lindsay frowned as she took one of the water bottles from the blanket, and opened it to take a drink. He laughed as he handed her a sandwich and a bag of chips before opening his own and started eating. Lindsay lifted the lid off her tupperware and took the sandwich out to bite into it. Justin watched her intently.

"Good?" He questioned.

She nodded, wiping her mouth off with the napkin he had provided. He nodded and took another bite of his sandwich too.

"You have a lot of space here," Lindsay said. "Planning on doing anything with it?"

Justin looked out around the property, before shrugging.

"Haven't thought of anything yet. But I'm not going anywhere, still have time," he said.

She nodded, as she popped a chip in her mouth.

"So how come you're growing your hair out?" She questioned.

Justin looked at her, as he ran a hand through his hair self consciously.

"Why you like it?" He winked.

She rolled her eyes.

"How come every time I ask you something about yourself you make it sound like I want to jump you?"

"Well, I guess you should stop asking questions," he said.

Lindsay was about to respond, but she closed her mouth quickly, causing Justin yet again to burst out laughing. Lindsay shook her head, taking a drink of her water, trying her best not to laugh. He definitely had a contagious laugh.

"You're mean to me," she stated once he was done with his laughing fit.

Justin sighed, and wiped his eye brow like he had laughed so hard he began sweating.

"I got you so good," he said.

"That's about all you'll get from me," she mumbled.

"Oh come on, it's all in good fun."

"It's all in good fun," she mimicked, making a face.

Justin smiled at her before going back to his meal. They actually made some pleasant conversation as they continued their meal. Both of them made sure that the topic of the past or family didn't come up as they switched from one topic to the next. Their conversation went from movies, to books, to TV shows, and even food. They were slowly but surely getting to know each other, and it was actually fun.

After they finished eating Justin brought the basket back in front of them. They were now sitting across from each other, Justin's back to the field, as he faced Lindsay sitting crossed legged on the blanket.

"Alright, now for desert," he announced.

He reached into the basket and took out two more tupperware bowls, and opened them both up. Inside one was fresh strawberries with the green stem already cut off, and in the other was slightly melted whipped cream.

"Oh my god, those are my favorite," Lindsay said with a smile. "How did you know?"

He laughed, "I didn't, but I like em too."

He offered her the bowl and she took one, dipping it into the whipped cream.

"You know what's even better?" She asked.

He shook his head as he reached for a strawberry, dipping it into the whipped cream as well.

"Chocolate covered strawberries."

"Those are good, and so is strawberries dipped in sugar. But these are better," he said, licking his lips of the juice that remained there after biting into the strawberry.

They both indulged in their desert for awhile, not saying anything to each other, just looking out at the horizon as the sun started to set. Justin had had his fill and was now lying on his side, facing Lindsay as she sipped the rest of her water, leaning back on her arms.

"So are you uncomfortable?" He questioned.

She looked from the horizon back to him, and shook her head.

"Should I be?"

He shrugged.

"Have anymore wild geese hissed at you recently?" He asked with a laugh.

Lindsay giggled.

"No, but," her eyes squinted as she looked past him, "are they supposed to be running at us like that?"

Justin turned to look behind himself quickly, and saw the wild geese running full speed at them, their wings flapping, quacking loudly, like they were charging at them. Justin's eyes grew big as he quickly stood up, grabbing Lindsay's hand and practically dragging her behind a tree. Lindsay couldn't stop laughing as Justin leaned back against the tree, kind of panting from his quick reaction.

"Are they hungry or something?"

He chuckled at her.

"Or something," he nodded.

It was good to see her laughing. He smiled as he watched her cross her arms over her chest. She peeked her head around the tree to glance at their picnic and saw the geese now rummaging around in it, pecking at the remainder of their strawberries and cream.

"Um, Justin," she said giggling once more.

He seemed to snap out of a day dream and focus on her.

"I hope you were done with desert," she said.

Justin quickly looked around the tree and groaned when he saw the geese.

"Oh, you stupid birds," he said.

He started to run at them, shooing them away. Lindsay stayed behind the tree as she watched him, and couldn't help but laugh. When Justin finally got them away he turned back to face Lindsay and saw her laughing at him. He shook his head and hung it, a little embarrassed.

"It's fine Justin," she said. "I was done anyway."

He sighed, "stupid birds."

Lindsay came from around the tree and helped him clean up the mess the birds had left, packing the remainder of the foods and tupperware back into the basket. The sun was almost completely hidden under the skyline, and Justin went over to the fire pit, taking out a match book from his back pocket.

"Want to sit by a fire for awhile?"

She shrugged as he lit a match, putting it to one of the newspapers under the logs. He held it there till it slowly started to catch the rest of the wood on fire. Justin moved the blanket by the pit and sat down, waiting for Lindsay to sit down herself. She finally noticed how dark it was, as they sat there by the fire. She could barely make out her house in the distance.

"You have a flash light, don't you?" She questioned.

"How come?"

"It's dark," she said.

He smiled.

"Don't worry, I'll get you back safe."

"My hero," she bat her eyelashes at him again.

He laughed as he looked at the flames once more, "smart ass."

Lindsay smiled to herself.

"So, how's work?"

She shrugged.

"It's work. Karen's nice, and she's understanding so it makes for a better environment."

"Understanding about what?"

Lindsay looked over at him, did she just say that?

"Anything," she tried to cover her slip. "Everything."

"Oh," he looked to the fire once more.

"Do you have any friends out here?" She was dying for a subject change. "Besides, you know, old man Ackerman."

Justin chuckled, "I got some buddies, they don't live here though they live in the next town. I need my space"

"Were you smothered as a child?" She smirked.

He looked at her, and grinned before looking back at the fire. Grabbing a long stick, he started to poke the wood with it, causing the fire to spread.

"Did you have any good friends there in California?" He questioned.

Lindsay looked at the fire

"Yeah. Ashlynn," she said. "She's been with me through a lot of stuff."

"You should have her come visit."

She nodded.

"I will. She's busy with work and stuff too," she shrugged.

Justin nodded; he could tell she was starting to get uncomfortable with the questions so he stayed quiet as they continued to look at the fire. Lindsay looked up in the sky and noticed the bright shining stars all around. She was amazed. There was no way you would be able to see this back in LA. Justin glanced at her and noticed her dazed look as she looked at stars.

"Great view isn't it?"

Lindsay glanced at him, then back at the sky and nodded.

"You'd probably never see this in California, definitely not in the city," she said.

They remained quiet as they lay on their backs looking up at the sky, keeping themselves warm with the fire. Pretty soon the fired died down, and it was time to head back. Justin picked up the basket and blanket, and grabbed Lindsay's hand to lead her down a small path back to the house. She had to give him credit for knowing where he was going in the dark. They reached his house, where he dropped off his things on the porch before walking her down the street to her house. They walked in silence, Justin still holding onto her hand.

"Have any plans for the weekend?" He asked.

Lindsay shook her head no.

"Not really, maybe a little cleaning."

"Hmm," Justin said. "Well, maybe if you're not doing anything at night we can go out again?"

Lindsay grinned at him, her cheeks blushing a little. She really didn't have a bad time and he was incredibly sweet. No, they didn't talk much about their pasts, but there was so much more to a relationship then that. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue after all. She would agree to see him again, but not right away just to make him squirm a little bit.

"We'll see," she said with a smile. "I know where to find you."

He laughed as they reached her porch and she dug into her pocket to get her keys out. She got them and opened her door, then stood outside holding the screen open.

"Well, I guess this is it," Justin said.

Lindsay nodded. It was.

"Mind if we take that next step?"

She looked at him wearily.

"What next step?" She questioned.

"Well, we passed the hand shaking and the holding hands. How about a hug?" He smiled, his head leaning to the side.

Lindsay looked at him; he was considerate of her feelings, she had to give him that much. She guessed she could give him this one. She stepped off the door step and wrapped her arms around his neck as he put his arm her waist. Lindsay inhaled deeply, smelling that musky scent of him and felt his lips sneak a kiss on her cheek. They broke the hug and Lindsay went back to her door way, as Justin made his way down the steps.

"I'll see you around City Girl," he said with a wave.

Lindsay watched him as he made his way down the street. She giggled to herself as she walked into her house and closed the door, leaning back against it with a sigh. Was she really falling for this guy?

~*~


"So, how are things going with Justin?" Karen was leaning on the counter over Lindsay's desk again.

The girl smiled, not looking up from her computer. She and Justin had been on a second date-date the night before. This time he took her to the local drive-in movie in his supped up old red Camero. She didn't even know they still had drive-in movies now a days. They'd had a good time, and while he'd had his arm around the back of her seat, they hadn't passed the "hug and hand holding" stage.

"Things are fine. Nothing special," she replied.

"Nothing special. Folks around town seem to think it's more than nothing special."

"Shows what folks around town know."

"You're not going to give me any details, are you?"

"Karen," Lindsay smiled.

"You like him."

"I wouldn't go that far."

That was a lie and she knew it. Even against her wishes and better judgement, she was beginning to develop feelings for Justin. He was proving himself to be nothing like the annoying young man she thought he was at first, and he was the complete opposite of Adam, which did nothing but work in his favor. When she was around Justin, her troubled relationship with Adam was the farthest thing from her mind.

Before the two women could say anything more the door opened and Justin came strolling in wearing an orange Abercrombie tee shirt and black sunglasses. Karen turned to Lindsay and gave her an excited look before heading into her own office.

"Afternoon Ms. Anderson," Justin called.

"Afternoon Justin, good to see you again. Lindsay, I'll be back here making phone calls if you need me."

Justin folded his arms and leaned on the counter, watching Lindsay through his frames.

"You better be careful about wearing glasses inside. People might think you're rude."

He smiled, pulling the glasses off and slipping them into his pocket.

"Just trying to be like you, City Girl."

"Keep trying," she smirked. "So, what can I do ya for?"

"Well, I was on my way to the grocery store when I remembered you saying something about needing to go last night, so I thought maybe you could take a lunch and go with me."

Lindsay gave him a look.

"Grocery shopping on my lunch break?"

"Yeah. Why not?"

"What am I going to do with the groceries while I'm at work later?"

"Well, I could drop them by your place for you, or hold onto them at my place until you get home."

Lindsay tilted her head.

"I don't know Justin. This seems a little strange."

"Ok, I confess," he said. "I was just desperate for a reason to see you. Come shopping with me, please."

She's got me love stoned
I think I'm love stoned
She's got me love stoned


"I don't even think I can go right now. Karen's on the phone so someone will have to be here incase anyone comes in."

"Lindsay!" Karen's voice came floating in. "Why don't you go ahead and take your lunch now."

Lindsay turned, shooting a look towards Karen's cracked door. Justin laughed and leaned down closer.

"Someone agrees with me. Come on, you're wasting time City Girl."

Lindsay stood, pulling her purse from under the desk, and walked around the counter to meet Justin. He let her walk ahead, holding the door open as she stepped into the sun. When her feet hit the sidewalk she understood why he needed the sunglasses. It was the middle of summer, and it felt like it was 112 degrees.

"Let's go, City Girl," Justin grabbed her hand, pulling her along.

They walked down Main St, talking quietly amongst themselves about nothing in particular. The movie they'd seen, the weather, the geese staked out on Justin's front lawn. When they reached the grocery store, Justin opened the door for her, and they both glanced towards the register. Jesse was sitting there, magazine in hand when he heard the bell. At first he barely glanced up at the pair, and then went back to his article. But then he did a double take, his eyes going wide and then narrowing on Justin and Lindsay's intertwined fingers.

Both stifling a giggle, they grabbed two baskets and headed to the back of the store.

"He's really pissed isn't he?" She whispered.

"I told you he was in love with you. I'd be pissed too."

He turned away, dropping a loaf of bread into his basket, and missed the smirk on her face.

"So, what are we doing tonight?" She asked, picking up a dozen eggs.

"Did we have plans?" He looked amused.

"Well, you've been planning all my nightly activities so far this week," she shrugged. "I figured it was a safe bet."

Justin nodded.

"Well if I had known in the beginning that you were going to become so obsessed with me-."

She cut off his sentence with an elbow to the gut.

"Yeah right."

He chuckled, following her to the next isle where they loaded up on more items.

"Actually I hadn't planned anything for tonight. You're using up all my ideas. Anything in particular you wanted to do?"

"You, running out of ideas to swoon girls?"

"Shocking, I know," he nodded.

"I have no ideas whatsoever," she said, tucking her hair behind her ears. "Maybe I'll stay in tonight."

"You sure?" he questioned.

"Yeah. I need to catch up on my rest anyways."

When they were done they walked to the counter, setting down their baskets. Jesse hesitated a moment before he stood, pulling Lindsay's basket first.

"Did you find everything okay?"

"Yes, thank you."

Jesse proceeded to ring up her items, put them into a brown paper bag, and make change for her. Then he turned to Justin, and Lindsay could swear she'd seen his lip snarl.

"I found everything okay too," Justin provided.

Jesse said nothing while Lindsay turned her back to giggle.

"I'm starving," Justin announced, reaching for a chocolate chip cookie in a plastic display case next to the register.

"You want one, City Girl?"

Lindsay turned to face him, nodding her head. Justin handed her a sugar cookie.

Without speaking a word, Jesse rung up Justin's items, and put them into a bag, then waited for the payment. After making his change, Jesse sat back down, giving Justin the evil eye as he and Lindsay headed toward the door. Justin opened it, allowing Lindsay to step out first.

"This isn't over little man," he said, pointing to the young teenager.

"Stop it," she pulled his shirt, yanking him out onto the sidewalk with her.

"What?"

"Picking fights with fourteen year olds. That's mature."

"Who ever said I was mature?" He asked, following her back toward the law office.

Again they merely chitchatted on their way back to the office, stopping in front of the doors to finish their ‘lunch'.

" So, you sure you want to stay in alone tonight? I'm always up for company."

"I'm sure," Lindsay nodded. "But thank you for the offer."

"Of course. That's southern hospitality, which you wouldn't know much about, since you spent so much time in California."

Lindsay rolled her eyes and nudged his side.

"So what about your groceries?" He motioned to her bag.

"Do you mind dropping them on my back porch for me? There's nothing frozen so it should be alright until I get home."

"Sure," he said, taking it from her arms.

"Thanks. I'll see you later."

Justin nodded, quickly leaning forward to kiss her cheek.

"I'll call you later City Girl."

~*~


Lindsay returned home around 4:30 that afternoon. She made her way to the back door, finding the paper bag of groceries sitting just outside the screen as she'd requested. She left the back door open so some air could flow through and carried the items into the kitchen to put them away. In the middle of her task the phone started to ring. Figuring it to be Justin, she closed the refrigerator and made her way towards it.

"Hello?"

"Lindsay?"

That most certainly wasn't Justin. He'd only called her Lindsay twice, once when he was outside in the rain, and the other time when she'd bumped into him in town trying to escape her ghost person.

"Who is this?" She asked.

"Lindsay, it's Adam."

Her face fell blank and everything in her paused. Adam? Calling her house?

"How did you get this number?"

"Michael gave it to me."

Michael was Ashlynn's boyfriend. He must have gotten it after one of their conversations. Damn caller ID.

"Linds, what are you doing? Where is this area code anyway? Out in the boonies?"

"Don't call me again," she instructed, moving to hang up, but his voice stopped her.

"Don't call you again? What are you talking about? What are you doing? You're my girlfriend and you're off skipping around the middle of nowhere-."

"I'm not your girlfriend anymore, don't you get that? I stopped being your girlfriend when you started hitting me. That's why I left."

"I wouldn't be forced to do that if you didn't agitate me so," he said. "Tell me where you are so I can come get you."

"No way."

"We have unfinished business Lindsay."

"You're right, up until now it was unfinished. But now it's done. Goodbye Adam."

"Lindsay, don't think I won't be able to figure out where you are-." His voice was distance as she reached out to hang up the receiver.

Even though the call was done, she still felt a chill running through her. Now she was rigid and on edge. Every movement in the fields behind her home made her jerk with anxiety. She rushed to the backdoor, closing it and locking the bolt. Hugging her arms around herself and paced the livingroom, looking around cautiously. Obviously he didn't know where she was, because he called instead of showing up. But was he right? Was it a matter of time until he found her now?

Her nerves being so on edge was making her crazy, and she could only think of one place to go where she felt safe. Picking up her keys she locked the front door and headed up the road to Justin's.

This one had been the longest walk of her life. She kept looking around as if Adam were going to jump out of the bushes any moment now and drag her to the airport. When she finally reached Justin's porch she was nearly in tears. Luckily his Mercedes was parked outside, so she was pretty sure he was home.

"Hey, City Girl," he opened the door a moment after she knocked.

He smiled at her as he unlatched the screen door.

"I thought you were staying in. Couldn't resist, huh?"

His smile faded however, when the door opened and he saw her face clearly.

"Hey, Lindsay, you okay?" He asked, his face forming a frown.

Lindsay nodded, or attempted too at least.

"Can I come in?"

"Of course," he held the door open as she passed him and went to the living room to sit.

Justin closed his front door, turning off the stereo and the lights in the kitchen before moving into the room and sitting on the sofa next to her.

"What's the matter?" he asked.

"Nothing," she lied automatically.

From the corner of her eye she saw him give her a look.

"I just got a little spooked," she said. "You know those geese."

Justin nodded, moving from the sofa to sit on the coffee table in front of her. His time he took her shaky hands in his own.

"Strike two. How about this time we try the truth?"

Lindsay looked up at him, sincere blue eyes watching her every move carefully.

"I need a drink," she announced. "Got anything?"

Justin's brow furrowed. He'd never figured her for much of a drinker.

"Yeah, I have something."

"Good. I need a glass of whatever is the strongest."

His brow furrowed even more before he slowly rose from the table and headed into the kitchen. He pulled a small glass from the cabinet and dropped some ice cubes into it before filling it three-quarters of the way with whiskey. He headed back into the living room, handing it to her. To his surprise, she downed it all, then hacked a little at the taste.

She grabs the yellow bottle
She likes the way it hits her lips
She gets to the bottom
It sends her on a trip so right


"Can I have another one?" She held it out to him.

Justin took the glass, and went into the kitchen, pouring more alcohol into it. Again, when he handed it back, she swallowed all the contents, and then closed her eyes as the liquid burned her throat. When she held it up to him again he shook his head and sat down.

"You want to tell me when you became an alcoholic?"

Lindsay looked at him, and licked her lips, tasting the alcohol on them. She remained quiet for a while, and finally he rolled his eyes.

"If I get you another one, will you talk?" He asked.

Lindsay looked up at him, not saying a word as her lips started to form into a pout. Justin looked at her once more before sighing and getting up, pouring a little bit more of the whiskey into the glass. He walked back into the living room and handed her the glass. Instead of gulping the thing, she took a sip then cleared her throat of the burning sensation. Justin sat back on the coffee table as he continued to watch her.

"What happened?" He questioned once more.

Lindsay looked into his eyes, and took another drink of her whiskey.

"I got a phone call," she said simply.

Justin leaned his arms on his legs, as he rested his chin on his hands.

"Okay," he said, waiting for her to finish.

"It was the ghost," she finished her whiskey.

After she downed the rest of her glass, she reached over and put it down on the table beside Justin. She took a deep breath, but could feel herself starting to shake once more.

"He found me," she said. "And I didn't want him to."

Justin watched her; this was why she came to this town, out of no where. This was why she was so secretive about her past. Something bad had happened.

"Does he know where you are?" He asked.

She shook her head no.

"Not yet anyway, just the number. He got it from Ashlynn's boyfriend," she explained. "But it won't be long before he starts looking for me."

She could feel the tears start to well up in her eyes. Everything had been fine until now. She was starting to be independent, she didn't need anyone else. Now it was slowly crumbling down around her.

"Why did you leave?" He pushed. "What did he do to you?"

Lindsay sighed before glancing up at him, a tear escaping her eye. She quickly reached up to wipe it away before it was evident. But Justin saw it; he knew it had to be something awful.

"I need another drink," she said, standing up.

Justin stood up as well, holding onto her shoulders to keep her in place.

"Oh no," he said. "You need to spill."

Lindsay looked at him; he was not making demands at her was he? Her eyes narrowed as she looked at him. Who was he to make her do anything?

"I'll just leave then," she said and started to walk to his door.

Justin ran after her.

"Alright, alright, wait a second," he said.

She was in no condition to be wandering the streets. Especially not after all of that whiskey.

He grabbed her hand, taking her back into the living room. He went into the kitchen and opened the fridge, taking out a beer for her. He popped open the cap and walked back into the living room, handing it to her.

"Lite beer?" She questioned, taking the bottle anyway

Justin looked at her, "It's alcohol."

Lindsay sighed and took a drink; mixing never did her well, but right now she could care less.

"What's with the ghost Lindsay?" He asked.

He never called her Lindsay, she knew he was being serious.

"He's just someone I don't want in my life anymore."

Justin sat down next to her. This time he sat on the couch facing her, hoping to make her feel more comfortable about this talk they were going to have. Lindsay took another gulp of the beer, and put it down on the table before facing Justin once more.

"I thought we weren't going talk about each other's past anymore." She said.

"Well obviously, if it affects us, then we need to talk about it."

"Affects us?" She questioned. "How does this affect us?"

"Lindsay, you came to my door looking like you saw a ghost," he said. "Something is affecting you in a negative way and you need to tell me what it is."

"I need to tell you, do I?" She questioned.

Justin sighed. This was getting nowhere. She was being secretive and defensive about the whole thing, and it only made him more curious. She reached over and took the bottle once more, taking another big gulp.

"Listen," he said, reaching over and taking one of her hands in his. "I care about you a lot ok, and I just don't want you to get hurt."

"I'm fine," she said, stubbornly.

Justin sighed; taking his hands away and running them over his hair.

"Did this guy attack you or something?"

Lindsay looked at him, her eyes starting to fill up with tears once more. Justin had found something. He watched her go from a distant person, to practically crumbling before his eyes. She leaned her arm against the couch, hiding her face in her hand as she started to shake with the tears struggling to escape. His face fell at the realization of what she had been trying to hide.

"He hurt me, so I left," she spat out in-between tears.

Justin reached out and rubbed her back, removing her hand from her face and laying it against the couch. Her history was spilling out of her lips.

"I moved to California, and immediately attached myself to him after we met," she said, "I had no one else."

She was trying to control her crying as she continued her story. But it was only making it worse, and she just wanted to cry harder. She knew she shouldn't have had that last shot or even the beer.

"I got my Associates," she started, "and wanted to get my Bachelors, but I needed to get a job, because at that time Adam and I were living together and I needed to help with the rent."

"Adam is the ghost?" Justin asked.

Lindsay sniffled as she nodded. Now her eyes were blood shot red, the tears evident on her cheeks.

"About a year and a half ago he started getting rough with me, and really controlling. He had to know where I was at all times, who I was hanging out with, how much I was spending, and on what."

Justin continued to watch her as she spilled her story. No wonder she was so hard to get to, she had been through enough in her short life already: from losing her parents, to an abusive boyfriend.

"Everyone kept telling me to leave him, and I tried a few times before, but I really had no where else to go. He hit me a few weeks ago, that's when I decided I needed to get away and I came here," she finished, tears falling down her cheeks.

Justin reached over and gently wiped her tears away, he hated it when chicks cried. She looked over at him, and grabbed his hand from her face and held onto them tightly.

"I thought if I didn't tell you, and didn't think about it, then it would just go away," she said. "But then the phone rang."

"Is that why you wore those sunglasses when you first got here?" He questioned. "Did he leave a mark?"

Lindsay nodded, "he gave me a black eye, and as soon as I came too I packed what I could and got out of there."

She sighed and rubbed her eyes.

"I knew I shouldn't have called Ash. If I hadn't, he would have never known where I am."

Justin moved himself closer to her on the couch, and put his arm around her shoulder trying to get her to move closer to him. The alcohol was taking affect, and she started to cry all over again- she was a light weight and emotional drunk.

"Shhh…" Justin soothed, as she laid her head on his chest.

"He's going to come drag me away from here, and I'm gonna be a prisoner with him," she started to ramble on against his chest.

Justin did his best to calm her down, as he hugged her tightly.

"I'm not going to let that happen, okay?" He said, as he ran a hand through her hair. "He's not going to come anywhere near you."

"But what if he does?" She questioned looking up at him, her eyes searching his.

She needed someone to protect her; yet she tried to remain strong because she was supposed to becoming independent. He leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

"He won't" he said. "You're apart of this town, and anyone here would stand up for you in a minute."

"Really?" she sniffled.

He nodded, as he moved the hair from her face. She looked into his eyes, and hiccupped as the after math of her crying took over her body. She sighed once more and laid her head back on his chest, and he wrapped his arms around her.

"You're gonna stay here tonight," he said. "And I don't want to hear any fuss about it."

Lindsay sighed, "Fine."

"I'll take you to your house to get your night stuff, but you're coming back," he insisted.

"Yes sir," she mumbled.

He smirked.

A short while later, they emerged from his house and Justin grabbed her hand as they headed towards Lindsay's. They reached the house and Lindsay took her keys out opening the door. Justin stepped inside first, turning on the light and looking around. Everything was as she left it, including the bag of groceries she had left on the counter.

Lindsay went into the bedroom, as Justin walked into the kitchen and started to unload the bag that was sitting on the counter. She emerged a few minutes later with a small bag, and saw Justin looking around the house. She'd changed a couple of things since the last time he'd been inside, but it was still nicely decorated. He heard the creaking of the hard wood floor and he turned to face her as she walked out of the bedroom.

"You ready?" He asked.

She nodded. He leaned forward and took the bag from her grasp before heading towards the front door. She followed behind him, closing and locking the door before stepping off the porch to stand next to him. She felt like a little weakling again, she needed a man to take care of her; she couldn't do it on her own.

They walked in silence back to the house and Justin held the door open for her as she walked in. He handed her the bag.

"There's a guest bedroom up the stairs, first door to your right," he said.

Lindsay nodded, took the bag, and walked up the stairs, gripping the rail as she went. Justin watched her go before he walked into the kitchen, and took out the cell phone he had in his pocket. He searched through his phone book before pressing the button and putting it to his ear, peeking his head out of the kitchen to make sure she wasn't coming.

He stepped out of his back door, as the person on the other end answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me. I need a favor."

"What is it, Hines?"

"I need you to get a hold of that guy. The one that cleaned up that Thomas mess for you."

"Him? Why?"

"I got a guy I'd like him to have a little conversation with. Call me when you get a hold of him."

"Could be a day or two."

That would give him time to find out more about Adam, like a last name and an address.

"Fine. Call me."

Justin hung up the phone and slipped it back into his pocket. He went back inside, putting away Lindsay's empty whiskey glass and beer bottle, then headed up the stairs in search of her. He found her already changed and laying in the bed of the guest room.

"Hey," he moved to sit on the mattress next to her. "Feeling better?"

She shook her head, rolling onto her back.

"All that alcohol is mixing. My stomach is jumping all over the place."

He smirked, but she couldn't see it because the lights were dimmed.

"It'll pass when you fall asleep, I think." He ran a hand over her hair.

She laid there for awhile, his fingers slowly weaving in and out of her hair. Her eyes were starting to drift closed and he figured it was time to retire to his own room and get some rest. He leaned down, kissing her forehead, and then stood to leave. She barely noticed him get up from the bed and turn off the lamp, but when the comforting hair rubbing stopped and her side started to get cold she woke up a little.

"Justin?"

"Yeah?" He turned to look back at her.

"Thank you, for letting me stay here and everything."

"Any time," he smiled.

When she didn't say anything more he turned to head for the door again. But once again, her voice stopped him.

"Justin?"

"Huh?"

"Stay with me? Just until I fall asleep."

Justin watched her for a moment before he sighed and walked back towards the bed. He pulled the throw blanket from the bottom of the bed and laid down on top of the comforter next to her, covering himself up. Lindsay scooted closer, tucking her body against his side. His arm wrapped around her and he let out a soft sigh. They laid there quietly for several minutes, him looking toward the ceiling and she toward the door he'd left cracked open. The alcohol coursing through her system was beginning to take its real toll. Her emotions were getting the best of her, and her actions became bolder. She used to lay like this with Adam, in the beginning. It always made her feel better. Towards the end though, they mostly stayed on their opposite sides.

Justin was just beginning to feel himself relax and drift off when she moved. First her hand smoothed over his stomach and up his chest, then slowly slipped back down again. Then she shifted, sitting up a little and leaned over him, searching for his face in the dark. Her fingers ran over his cheek. There was a twinkle, the moon reflecting from his eyes, but nothing more. Justin could clearly make out her features however, because of the soft light through the windows as she hovered over him. Her hair fell as a curtain around him, and she remained silent as her head lowered, briefly touching their noses together.

Justin mind whirled with curiosity, but he remained silent when she leaned down again, this time briefly touching their lips together. She didn't pull away completely, but more lightened the pressure between them as she changed the tilt of her head, putting one arm on either side of him so she could hover over him completely. Justin reached up, brushing her hair back out of his face and holding her head with his hand as their kiss grew stronger. Lindsay reached up, gently pulling his jaw down so her tongue could slip into his mouth.

Justin groaned, his body hypnotized by everything she was doing, but in his mind he could see things getting caught up very quickly. When Lindsay pulled away briefly to catch her breathe, he looked up into her eyes. Something was different, something behind her stare was softer. But he didn't know if that was because she felt more comfortable with him, or if it was whiskey courage. He put his hands to her shoulders, stopping her forward motion. Her brow knitted slightly, as he pushed her to lay on her back next to him. Then he leaned down and gently placed his lips to hers, and then her forehead.

Then Justin leaned back and curled up next to her.

"Sleep City Girl," he whispered.

The next morning Lindsay awoke in the guest bedroom alone. Slowly but surely her mind cleared, and she remembered all of the events of last night. The whiskey, the confession, the kiss. She looked over to where he had been. There was an imprint on the pillow next to her, but other than that there was no sign that Justin had even been there. Lindsay groaned, dropping her head onto the mattress.

Just after seven, Lindsay descended the stairs and turned the corner to find Justin at the stove, scrambling eggs.

"Hey," she said, standing on the other side of the island.

"Morning," he smiled. "Hungry?"

"Yeah," she nodded. There was cut up cantaloupe and toast on the breakfast table. She took a piece and spread some butter on it.

"Sleep well?" He asked.

"Yeah. Surprisingly, better than I did the bight before at home."

"Whiskey will do that, especially for a light weight like you. It put you out cold turkey," he turned to face her, pulling the skillet from the stove top.

She smirked, looking down at the bread in her hands.

"Listen," she began. "I'm sorry about upstairs-."

"Don't be," he smiled. "I'm not. We both knew it was a matter of time before you gave into your true feelings about me."

She snorted a laugh and covered her mouth with the back of her hand. Justin just grinned at her, before motioning to the skillet.

"Eggs?"

"Yes, please."

Justin pulled two plates from the cabinet, and put eggs and fruit on both of them before coming to sit across the table from her. He let a few minutes pass before he started a new conversation.

"Do you want to talk about last night?"

She paused in her chewing, then picked up her orange juice glass.

"What more is there to say?"

"Well, want to tell me about Adam?"

She shrugged.

"There isn't much to him. We met in Canyon College, we had the same English 1A class. We got very serious, very quickly. Moved in together shortly there after, and it all went down hill from there."

"Where did you guys live? On campus?"

"No. His fraternity found us this apartment close by, in the Five Canyons complex. Really ritzy place. That was the one good thing about living with Adam. We had the nicest apartment in the building, up at the very top."

Justin nodded, storing the information in his mind until later.

"How long were you together?"

"Three years. A year and a half too long it seems."

"Do you really think he'll come looking for you?"

"I don't know.

"Think he'll call again?"

"Don't know."

He could tell she was getting a little annoyed with the probing, and his line of questioning probably wasn't putting her in the best of spirits for the day.

"I just have one more question."

She looked up at him.

"Did you seriously like that movie we saw?"

Lindsay laughed out loud, setting down her fork.

"Yes. It was interesting."

"It was dumb."

"It's called artistic expression, Justin."

"That artist needs to keep his feelings to himself."

After breakfast Justin walked her back down the road to her house so she could change and get ready for the work day. He had to go put the final touches on the painting of the motel. When they reached her porch she unlocked the door and turned to look back at him.

"Justin, thank you for taking care of me last night. I appreciate-."

"Don't mention it," he interrupted. "I'm here whenever you need me. Whenever."

Lindsay nodded, looking down at the floor boards. They stood there silently for a few moments, not sure how to end the morning. Both thinking about a goodbye kiss, Justin's suspicions were confirmed. Her actions the night before had been liquid courage. Regardless, he didn't want to back track from before.

"Well, you better get going so you're not late," he said.

"Yeah." But she made no attempt to move from the doorway where she stood.

So he stepped forward, putting a hand on her cheek and tilting her face up. He kissed her gently, once then twice before he stepped back.

"Have a good day, City Girl."

He knew he wasn't imagining the bright smile on her face as he let the screen door close in front of her.

"See you later, Justin."

Justin headed back down the road, waiting until he was a little ways from her house before pulled his cell phone from his pocket. Dialing the same number he had the night before, he waited until the person on the other end picked up.

"Hello?"

"It's me again. I have some more information for you."

"Go ahead."

"Frat boy out of Canyon College in California. Lives alone in Five Canyons condo complex, top floor."

"Got a name?"

"Adam, couldn't get a last name."

"Hmm. What did Adam do to piss you off so bad? Didn't you move out to the country get away from the drama and be around the ‘nice' people?"

Justin chuckled.

"That I did. But he hurt someone I care about, and you know how I feel about family."

"I do. The Hines family were always protective of their own. So, what do you want my guy to tell this Adam when he tracks him down?"

Justin smirked, "Tell him that hitting women isn't nice. He ought to learn to keep his hands to himself."

~*~


Lindsay sat crossed legged on the sofa in Justin's yellow sunroom, watching the television.

It had been nearly a month since Adam's phone call, and while they still hadn't confirmed their status as a couple, they'd certainly settled into acting like one. Justin came over to Lindsay's house, often staying late into the night. They had lunch together at the diner every day, and they spent more time making out than most high school sweethearts did.

"Hurry up, the commercial break is almost over!" She called into the house.

"I'll be right there!" He replied.

A moment later he stepped into the room with two beers and a bowl of buttered popcorn.

"Scoot over."

Lindsay looked at the spot next to her, then up at him as he set the items on the coffee table.

"You have plenty of room, just sit down," she said, popping a piece of the pop corn into her mouth.

"There is no room!" He whined.

Before Lindsay could respond, he sat down on the couch, purposely moving himself in front of her so he practically laid on her.

"Justin!" She squealed.

She fell on her back on the couch, laughing as he lay on top of her, moving his hands to her sides as he tickled her. Lindsay screamed with laughter, her legs kicking in the air. The summer temperatures were getting hotter and hotter, and Lindsay was only in Adidas track shorts and a white tank top, while Justin was in baggy khaki shorts and a black wife beater. Justin's hands traveled her stomach and sides, as she wiggled and swatted at his hands.

"Please don't!" She cried, still laughing

When Justin stopped, Lindsay was laying flat on her back her face red from laughing so hard as she tried to catch her breathe. Justin was laying on top of her, half holding himself up with an arm on each side of her. Lindsay looked up at him, as she tried to control her breathing.

"You know that I'm ticklish," she said.

"Isn't that the fun of it?" His face inching closer to her.

"No," she pouted.

Justin couldn't resist, and leaned down nipping at her lips slowly. Lindsay closed her eyes at the feel of Justin's lips on hers; she could feel his tongue prodding at her to get her to open her mouth. Lindsay finally gave in with a soft sigh, as Justin fully lay on top of her.

So much for watching the movie. They missed the first 15 minutes as they laid together and made out through it.

Lindsay broke the kiss sometime later, needing to catch her breathe, and she knew Justin's wandering hands had to stop. She wasn't ready for that yet. When she broke the kiss Justin took that as a hint, so he moved himself off of her and sat down beside her, reaching for the beer on the table.

Lindsay sat herself up, and adjusted her white tank top. She moved herself over to where Justin was leaning against the couch and sat herself next to him leaning into his chest. He watched her with a smile as he put am arm around her. He noticed Lindsay was a cuddlier, even if it was 100 degrees outside. She leaned forward putting the bowl of popcorn on her lap and they both tried to get into the movie.

About half an hour later, Lindsay leaned her head back against Justin's shoulder with a sigh.

"You pick horrible movies," she stated.

He looked down at her.

"Thanks," he laughed.

She looked up at him, then at the television once more. Justin seemed to be into the movie, so she'd feel bad if she changed it, but it just wasn't interesting enough to keep her attention. She took a piece of the popcorn into her fingers, and flipped it up over herself, hitting Justin in the face. Lindsay felt him shift, and he looked down at her while she giggled.

"Sorry, sorry, I meant to throw it up and catch it in my mouth," she lied.

"Hmm," he replied, and turned his attention back to the movie.

Lindsay tried her hardest not to laugh, as she settled back down in Justin's arms. She reached for more popcorn.

"Don't even…" he warned.

Lindsay put the piece of popcorn into her mouth.

"I wasn't going to do anything," she replied.

"Don't make me tickle you again.

She sighed and laid her head back against his shoulder once more.

"Is it really that boring, that you can't get into it?" Justin asked

Lindsay shrugged.

"I'll live."

Justin chuckled as he turned his attention back to the movie. It was almost over when his phone vibrated on the table. They both looked at it, and Justin leaned forward to look at the caller ID as Lindsay got out of his embrace.

"I'll be right back," he announced getting up off the couch, walking to the front door, and stepping outside.

Lindsay watched him walk away, and leaned back against the couch looking at the TV. He had been getting a lot of calls lately, and he always took them in private. It really wasn't that big of a deal. He could have been getting them all the time before and she didn't never noticed.

She reached forward and finished off her beer, putting the bottle back down on the table. The popcorn was about done, and his beer had been finished so she took everything into the kitchen. She put the bowl into the sink after trashing the kernels, and rinsed out the bottles putting them by the sink for the recycler. As she was drying her hands on the dish towel, she heard Justin's familiar footsteps and turned as he walked into the kitchen.

"Sorry," he said.

Lindsay shrugged.

"Who was that?" She questioned, knowing she probably shouldn't.

"That was Trace. His birthday is this weekend and he wants me to go to his party."

"Oh."

"You want to come with?" He suggested.

Lindsay looked up at him; he wanted her to meet his friends?

"Are you serious?" She questioned, getting a little nervous.

He laughed, "Well, I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't serious."

"I guess so," she said.

"Well, don't sound so excited," he winked.

"Well, I don't know your friends," she said, feeling shy all of a sudden.

He took her hand and brought her back into the sun room so they could sit on the couch once more.

"That's why you should come," he said.

Lindsay shrugged.

"Sure. When is it?"

"Saturday, we'll leave at six. I'll pick you up ok?"

She nodded, "What does your friend like? I'll have to get him something."

He smiled at her.

"You don't have to, he won't care."

She looked over at him, "What does he like anyway?"

"He likes alcohol," Justin said with a laugh."Really, you don't have to."

Lindsay gave him a look.

"I'll get him something, and I'll put your name on the card," he said.

"Alright," she said, letting out a sigh.

"What?" He questioned with a laugh.

"I'm nervous!"

Justin smirked.

"Already? It's not until this weekend."

"I know, but these are your friends."

He laughed, and leaned forward to kiss her lips lightly.

"Stop. You're fine," he said.

Then he glanced at the watch on his wrist. It was almost seven.

"Did you want dinner or something?"

~*~


It was finally Friday, the weekend upon them, and it was greatly needed. Lindsay was at work filling some information for Karen, when Karen came strolling back into the office from her lunch break, wearing a big grin.

"Hey, did you have a good lunch?" Lindsay asked when she heard the bell jingle.

Karen's smile grew brighter, "Did I ever."

Lindsay remained quiet as she watched Karen wink at her before entering her office.

"Okay," she mumbled to herself.

She knew Karen had been seeing this mystery man for a good couple of weeks now, and every time she came back from her lunch she had the same big cheesy grin on her face. Lindsay was happy for her, she deserved to have someone, and there wasn't very much in this small town, well except for Justin. Did she just admit that? She shook her head free of her thoughts as she tried to finish up her work.

As she continued working, she found herself glancing out the window hoping to catch a glance at her new found fellow. After admitting her growing feelings toward him to herself, he was hard to be away from. She was finding herself becoming more and more comfortable with him, and attached, and that scared her a little bit. That was how her last relationship started.

She spotted him a minute later, walking down the street carrying a paper bag from the market, and a big manila envelop. He was dressed casual once again in some jeans and a baby blue and white stripped polo shirt, his sunglasses covering his eyes. She was so busy staring that she didn't hear Karen walk back into the main office.

"Am I interrupting?" She questioned with a smirk

Lindsay almost jumped out of her skin as she turned quickly and saw Karen looking at her with that knowing smile on her face.

"I was just um-," Lindsay started.

"I know," Karen said and started to laugh, "I just caught you this time."

Lindsay frowned and Karen continued to laugh at her expense.

"You guys have plans this weekend?" Karen questioned as she set more files on Lindsay's desk.

"I'm supposed to go with him to meet some friends," Lindsay said. "It's his buddy's birthday."

"Oh, meeting the friends huh?" Karen questioned.

Lindsay nodded, "I'm kinda nervous about it."

"Where abouts is he taken you?"

Lindsay shrugged, "Some bar in the next town, Jacked Up or something."

"Oh man, that one," she said, "Talk about a guy's bar."

Lindsay looked up at her kind of anxious, "I don't know what to wear either."

"Well, don't wear cow girl stuff, it's not that kind of bar," Karen warned.

Lindsay gave her a look. She didn't even own any cow girl stuff.

"Are you going to be the only girl?" Karen asked.

Lindsay shrugged, "All I know is that it's his friends Birthday."

"Hmm," Karen mused, "You should be okay, it's a step in the right direction, ain't it? Him wanting you to meet his friends?"

"I guess so."

Karen smiled at her, and patted her back.

"You'll be fine."

She started to walk back into her office but stopped and turned in the hall.

"Oh, I wanted to close up at three today," she said. "I've got a long night ahead of me."

Lindsay laughed and shook her head as Karen headed back into her office. It was three, and she just finished up her job, when Karen practically pushed her out the door. Lindsay got into her car and drove back to her house to try and get ready for her night out with Justin and his friends.

She put the key into her door just as the phone started to ring. She rushed into the kitchen to grab the phone off the cradle, thinking it may be Justin.

"Hello?"

There was nothing on the other end.

"Hello?"

Silence.

That had been happening a lot lately. Sometimes she could hear someone breathing on the other line, and sometimes it was complete silence. She hung up the phone quickly.

Lindsay hadn't told Justin about the calls, she didn't want him to worry more then he already was. Already she had to sometimes force him to leave the house night, insisting she would be fine.

She ran her hand through her hair, before she headed into her bathroom to turn on the shower and let the water get hot, then walked into her room and started to get ready for her night out with the "boys".

Lindsay emerged from the shower a short time later wrapped in her terry cloth robe, and hair up in a towel. She walked into her bedroom and began to look through her closet for something to wear.

Three outfits later she decided on dark denim blue jeans, a white halter with black embroidered flowers on it, her black leather 2 inch heeled boots and a jean jacket for good measure.

She was putting on some lip gloss in the bathroom when she heard a knock on her front door.

"It's open!" She shouted, already knowing who it was.

The door knob turned, and heavy footsteps could be heard on the hard wood.

"Well, that's not very safe," he said closing the door behind himself.

She poked her head out of the bathroom, "I knew it was you."

"Did you now?"

"Yep," she rubbed her lips together and walked out of the bathroom.

Justin looked up as she walked in and let out a low whistle.

Those flashing lights come from everywhere
The way they hit her I just stop and stare
She's got me love stoned
Man I swear she's bad and she knows
I think that she knows


"Look at you," he said, winking.

She rolled her eyes, "Please."

"I'm gonna have to keep an eye on you tonight, my friends are gonna be all over you," he said.

She walked up to him and he kissed her cheek.

"Would you stop? You're makin' me blush," she said, as she reached for her purse, slipping her lip gloss inside.

He smiled.

"How do I look?" he asked, spinning in a cirlce.

He was dressed in some black jeans, a plain white button up shirt, and a black blazer over that.

Lindsay nodded her approval with a smile, "Very nice."

He gave a little bow, "Thank you, I picked it myself."

She rolled her eyes.

"How far away is this place?" She called from the kitchen.

"About 45 minutes, give or take."

"Do you want a water?" She questioned.

"I'm okay," he said, and looked at his watch once more.

"We need to get going. You ready?"

"Yeah," she said, and walked back into the living room.

She slipped her purse over her arm, as Justin walked out of the door first. Lindsay followed behind him after she locked her house up. His Mercedes was parked in her drive way behind her car and Justin disarmed it and opened the door as she got in.

"No Camero today?" She teased.

"Naw, City Girl. When it comes to the guys, you gotta impress ‘em."

He started it up, and backed out of the drive way making his way towards the main road and onto the high way, heading to their destination.

They made chit chat on the way over, talking about their day's, etc. Lindsay was getting more and more nervous as they passed each exit. She tried to talk herself into calming down, it wasn't as big a deal as she had made it. Maybe? She remembered how big a step it was with Adam, when she met all his Frat Brothers. It was like welcoming her into the family. But Justin was not Adam, far from it.

Justin noticed that she had gotten quiet, and he smiled and reached for her hand, taking it into his and squeezed it lightly.

"You alright?" He questioned.

She looked at him, and semi-smiled.

"Fine."

He chuckled.

"You don't look fine. You look like your going to puke."

She thought for a moment and then looked at him.

"Why do they want to meet me?"

"They just want to meet the girl that's been takin' up all my time," he admitted. "That's all, nothing more."

Lindsay sighed once more. She noticed a sign on the high way, it had the bar's name on it. Justin had put on his turn signal and was exiting the highway when he felt Lindsay's grip on his hand tighten.

He chucked once more.

"Calm down, City Girl. You'll be alright."

"Easy for you to say," she mumbled, as he pulled into the bar parking lot.

Justin parked the car off to the side of the bar and led Lindsay to the heavy metal door. When they passed a group of bikers sitting outside she reached for his hand. Justin merely squeezed her fingers as he nodded to the men with a smile.

Inside, the bar it was dark hard wood. Television screens hung in the corners, playing music videos and sports games. The noise level was insane, with guys yelling to each other, beer bottles clanking against counters and table tops. The breaking of balls on the various pool tables in the back echoed through the air. Karen had been right, it was a man's bar.

"Well, look who it is."

Lindsay turned and noticed Justin smiling as another man approached them. He was shorter than Justin, but had the same curly blonde hair.

"Good ‘ole Hines, you son of a bitch."

"Nice to see you too, Trace. Happy birthday."

They exchanged a hug and a little laughter.

"For a minute there I questioned whether or not you'd make it."

"I said I'd be here man, so here I am. Oh, and this," he pulled Lindsay closer. "Is Lindsay."

"Lindsay?" Trace looked confused.

"City girl?"

"Oh!" His eyes lit up and he smiled at her. "That name I remember. Heard a lot about you."

"Yeah, same here," she shook his hand. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you."

"She's the only reason your ass got a present tonight," Justin teased.

Trace laughed.

"See how he tries his best friend? What are you doing with this loser? I hope he's nicer to you."

Lindsay nodded.

"Sometimes he is."

"Sometimes?" Justin scoffed. "I am great to you girl."

"Right," Trace rolled his eyes. "C'mon back and get a drink."

((Continued))
End Notes:
Spacey1141@hotmail.com - Traci
jcsdirtylilchica@hotmail.com - Coffee
Chapter Three: Love Stoned (2) by Sassy Spacey
Author's Notes:
I didn't realize the chapter cut. Duh! Here's the rest of it.
As they followed him to a large booth in the back, Justin glanced over and gave Lindsay a smile as if to say ‘see, I told you so.' He knew all along that she had nothing to be worried about. When they reached the table, there were seven other men sitting there, sharing four pitchers of beer and watching the various television screens.

"Does she look familiar? She looks familiar. I think I went to high school with her." One man was starting a woman on the TV intently.

"Scooter! You don't know that girl, keep dreaming," Justin smiled.

The man looked up and grinned at him.

"Hines, you asshole, where have you been hiding out?"

"I've been around."

"Yeah, with the red necks and chicken farmers. Who's this?"

"Farmers daughter."

Lindsay shot Justin a look and leaned forward to offer her hand.

"I'm Lindsay, the City Girl."

"Oh yeah, Trace said you were coming. You can come over and sit by me."

Justin stepped in between them before Lindsay could move.

"Uh uh, Scooter's got wandering fingers. We'll sit over here by Matt."

They scooted into the booth with the other guys, and Justin poured them two beers.

"So how's country life been treating you Hines?" Someone asked.

"Judging by the girlie on his arm, I'd say pretty good. Let me know if you ever need a room mate," his buddy Ryan answered.

"I thought your last name was Timberlake," Lindsay turned to him.

"It is."

"So why do they call you Hines?"

Trace and Scooter exchanged a look before stifling giggles.

"Why do we call him Hines? Don't you know about-." There was a pump under the table, and Trace grimaced as he reached down to hold his leg.

"Ow, you dipwad."

"Know what?" Lindsay asked.

"About his being a-." There was another bump and this time Matt grabbed his leg.

"About my highschool basketball record." Justin said, spinning his beer mug on the table. "That's where the nickname Hines comes from."

Lindsay nodded, pretending to understand. She didn't. She looked to Trace, who glanced away nervously, and then to Justin who was taking a long swig of his beer. Suddenly everything was uncomfortable.

"So," Justin cleared his throat, "Trace, how does it feel to be 25?"

"Feels like I need something stronger than this beer. Will someone buy my sober ass a shot?"

Lindsay raised her hand.

"Just because you let me tag a long with Justin here, I'll buy the table their first round."

Justin smiled proudly while the boys cheered loudly. Then he reached up to gently ruffle her hair.

"I think you'll fit in around here just fine, City Girl."

The night continued on uneventfully. The boys sat and drank beer, gossiping about each others private lives. Lindsay mostly watched, soaking it all in. Justin was different with them. Not better, not worse, just different. He was trying to put off the impression that he was a real man's man and not the romantic sweetheart who liked to cuddle at night. His friends were interesting, to say the least.

Trace was drooling over a woman dancing in her underwear on the TV screen. Matt had run off to his pickup truck with some girl. Justin was playing poker with two other friends at a table near by, and Scooter; well, Scooter was attached to her hip.

"So, tell me about yourself Leslie. Where are you from?"

"I prefer Lindsay, actually."

"Sorry," he let out a loud drunken laugh. "My bad. Lindsay. Well, you're very cute Lindsay."

"Thanks."

She glanced at the table where Justin had been, hoping to give him a ‘help me' stare. He was gone.

"Not like normally pretty, but like, abnormally pretty." He scooted closer to her side. "The minute I saw you I was like, ‘wow! She's sexy.'"

Lindsay smiled politely and scooted over, but he moved with her, this time getting ever closer. One more centimeter and he might be in her lap.

"So, what are you doing with Hines anyway?"

There was that weird nickname again.

"Justin's nice," she supplied.

"Yeah, he is," Scooter agreed. "But, I can be nicer. I can be much, much nicer."

As he spoke, his hand smoothed over her leg. Lindsay removed his fingers, placing his hands in his own lap.

"Scooter, I'm sure you're a nice guy normally. But right now you're drunk, so why don't I get you something to help you sober up?"

"Alright," he pouted.

"Okay. What do you want? Coffee?"

"Water, to douse this fire you've set in my heart."

Her eyes rolled automatically. Was he serious? It was only in the backwoods where you'd find someone saying cheesy stuff like that. And that's when she realized he was leaning in for a kiss.

"Scooter. No," she said, leaning back.

"Come on." He pulled at her waist, trying to bring her closer.

"No." Lindsay stood and held a hand out to keep some distance between them. "Scooter, stop."

Scooter stood up in front of her, and looked ready to say something, but then he paused. Lindsay felt a protective presence surround her, and then a hand on her back. She spun around to find Justin, looking a little concerned, and a little angry.

"I'm gonna run to the bathroom," she stated, moving past him and down the hall.

She went into the room and locked the door. She needed a moment alone, not that there were a whole bunch of women waiting to break the door down. She'd only seen two other girls since she got there. She knew Scooter was drunk and therefore, deserved a little leeway with his actions, but still some men were just jerks. After taking a deep breath, Lindsay unlocked the door and stepped back into the bar. She headed for the booth, passing other tables and ignoring the various looks and cat calls she got from them.

She shuts the room down
The way she walks and causes a fuss
The baddest in town
She's flawless like some uncut ice
I hope she's goin' home with me tonight


Justin was standing there, his back to her as he spoke to Trace and Scooter. His shoulders looked rigid, he was visibly upset. She stopped a few feet away, and couldn't help but eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Justin, don't get so bent up over it. He's drunk dude," Trace defended.

"I know he's drunk, but he still needs to learn to control himself. If you can't drink and handle your shit, don't drink."

"Alright dawg, I get it. I didn't know she was so important to you."

"Well, she is," he confessed quickly.

Then he realized where he was and cleared his throat.

"She's special, and I like her, and I want to keep her around for a long time. I don't want you weirdos scaring her off."

Trace and Scooter saluted him.

"Best behavior, sir."

Then she caught Matt's attention, and the boys' conversation was over. Matt tapped Justin on the arm and nodded his head. When Justin laid eyes on her he blushed, wondering how much she'd heard.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi."

He stepped over to her and stuck his hands in his pockets, rocking back on his heels. He looked back at the boys, and they pretended to not be paying attention to the couple. Matt quickly turned back to the TV, and Trace and Scooter both began to walk away, first running into each other, and then heading for the pool tables.

"You ready to get out of here?" Justin turned to her.

"Yes." Her shoes were killing her feet. "But we can stay longer if you want."

"Naw. I'm exhausted, and I've succeeded in getting Trace completely plastered. My work here is done."

After saying goodbye to the boys, Justin led Lindsay back through the bar and out the front door. The bikers were still there, and they nodded once again as the couple headed for their car.

Thinking back on what she'd over heard Justin saying, she couldn't help but smile. He really cared about her, not that she exactly doubted his feelings before. In fact, she hadn't really thought about his feelings. They'd never discussed it before. But it was sweet, and it held a lot of meaning that he liked her enough to admit it to all of his buddies like that.

They stayed pretty quiet on the ride home. Lindsay barely held onto her consciousness most of the way. It was late and she was tired. When they exited the highway and headed down the dirt road their homes sat on, she perked up and spoke.

"So, did I pass the friend test?"

"With flying colors," he smiled. "Buying the shots was a nice touch. Good thinking."

"Thank you."

"I'm going to pay you back," he mentioned.

"You don't have too."

"Yes I do. I can't invite you as my date to a party and then have you pay for the drinks. It's rude."

"It's not a big deal."

"I'm paying you back," he ordered.

But the playful gleam in his eyes showed her he was kidding. Lindsay raised her hands and submitted.

"Fine, fine. Pay me back. I accept cash, no credit."

When they pulled into her driveway Justin shut off the car and they walked hand in hand to the door. Justin liked to look around and make sure she was alright before headed up the road to his own home. Especially on nights like these where they didn't get back until late.

Just as she opened the door the phone began to ring. She walked over to it without hesitation and put the receiver to her ear and Justin inspected the living room.

"Hello?"

Silence.

"Hello?"

Nothing. It was silent again, like it had been every time before. She stood there, listening to the haunting breathing on the other end. It was like something out of a horror movie, the killer lured the victim into the kitchen, messing with them psychologically before they jumped out of the broom closet with a knife.

"Hey."

She jumped ten feet in the air, whirling around to find an amused Justin. He raised his hand and let out a laugh.

"It's just me. Are you okay?"

She blinked, coming back to reality, and trying to calm her racing heart.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Who's on the phone?"

"Wrong number," she hung it up.

The thought of Adam overhearing Justin's voice and getting even more upset briefly crossed her mind.

"Well, everything looks good here, I'm going to head home, okay? You should get some sleep too."

"I will," she nodded.

He leaned down, kissing her gently before turning his back and heading for the door. Lindsay stood there, staring blankly into the space where he had just been. Then she looked up at the phone on the wall.

"Justin," she rushed out to the porch, catching him on the steps. "You know, there's a big bed here, incase you ever wanted to sleep over one night. Like, tonight for example."

Justin turned to look at her, one of his eyebrows cocked. Then he grinned slowly, letting out a low whistle.

"Finally giving into the charm huh?"

Her eyes rolled and then she blushed and grinned.

"To sleep, Justin. Just to sleep."

He chuckled and headed back into the house, pulling off his black blazer.

"Whatever you say, City Girl. Whatever you say."
End Notes:
Spacey1141@hotmail.com - Traci
jcsdirtylilchica@hotmail.com - Coffee
Chapter Four: Summer Love by Sassy Spacey
Chapter Four: Summer Love

It had been a couple of weeks since Lindsay had met Justin's friends at the bar that night. Things had been going well between the young couple. Now that Lindsay had Justin's friends' approval, it seemed to only intensify their relationship.

They spent more time at each other's houses with each other and less time alone by themselves. They had both gotten into the habit of staying at each other's houses on the weekends. Lindsay couldn't stay at his house during the week; she ended up being late to work one too many times.

The mysterious phone calls became more frequent, happening four or five times while she was at home after work. Sometimes she would get so frustrated with it she would unplug the phone all together. That wasn't always the smartest idea.

One time after unplugging her phone, she went to take a shower. But when she got out she heard a loud banging coming from her front door. She rushed to the door; her robe tied tightly, her hair lightly dripping. She peaked out the window and saw Justin there in some jeans, his chest bare as he leaned against the doorway panting.

She opened the door quickly.

"Justin, what's wrong?" she questioned, opening the screen door so he could enter the house.

He stepped into the house, still trying to catch his breathe.

"Your phone, it-," he started.

"My phone?" she questioned, looking at him, her expression filled with confusion.

"I tried to call you and-," he started once more.

"Oh," it dawned on her, "I took it off the hook."

"Why?" He asked.

"I uh, didn't want to be bothered," she said quickly.

"Don't ever do that," he warned, his breathing becoming even once more.

"Sorry," she smirked.

He left a few minutes later, after Lindsay assured him that she was fine and would be fine the rest of the night. She smiled to herself as she waved at him once more as he walked down the road back to his home and she went into her bedroom to get into some comfortable clothes for the night. She thought it was incredibly sweet that he was that worried about her, and she found herself smiling every time she thought about him.

She was now in the kitchen preparing dinner for the both of them on a hot Sunday evening. The summer rays lagged on with the hot sun shining brightly every day. She had gone through the house, opening all the windows, hoping the light breeze might cool down the temperature in the house a little.

She was preparing a simple meal of hamburgers, with some chips, chili beans and salad for good measure. Justin was bringing the desert.

She had volunteered to make dinner since this was Justin's last night in town for a week. He was going home to see his grandma, it was her birthday and his family was having a big celebration. He didn't ask her to go, but she probably would have turned him down if he did.

She was taking the hamburgers out of the broiler at the bottom of the oven when she heard the familiar knock on the side of her screen door. She put the pan onto the counter top and took off the oven mitts, and walked towards the front door. Justin was standing there, holding a square glass pan with a cloth over it in one hand and holding a plastic grocery bag in the other. She unlocked the screen and he stepped inside.

"Hi," he said, leaning down to kiss her lips lightly.

She smiled as he walked past her towards the kitchen. She closed and locked the screen door and made her way back into the kitchen. He was closing the freezer door, as she stepped back into the kitchen.

"It's hot," he stated.

Lindsay nodded, "Even worse with this oven on."

She walked to the counter, setting the toasted buns on the plates as he walked over to her.

"How was your day?" He asked, leaning against the counter facing her.

"Fine," she said, "Karen was out of the office most of the day."

"Darn, I should have come by." He snapped his fingers.

She smiled.

"What did you do today?"

She squirting the mustard and ketchup onto the buns. They had eaten together enough for her to know what he liked on his burgers. She began to put the cut up tomato, lettuce, and pickles on them as well.

"Packed," he said and reached down taking a piece of tomato from the plate and eating it.

Lindsay put the patties onto the buns and put the top on them.

"Can you get the salad for me?" She questioned, "It's in the fridge."

He nodded and turned to open the fridge, kind of sighing as the cool air ran out of it over his body. He leaned down reaching for the salad bowl, as he stood up again putting the bowl onto the counter the phone rang beside him.

"I got it," he said quickly.

Before Lindsay even had time to think, he reached over picking up the phone from the cradle.

"Hello?"

There was silence once, but he could hear something, someone. Someone was breathing into the other line.

"Hello?"

Lindsay watched him, knowing what he was hearing on the other line.

"I can hear you breathing."

With that the clank of the telephone could be heard as the person hung the phone up. Justin put the phone back onto the cradle and turned to look at Lindsay as she stood watching him.

"That was odd," he said. "You get those a lot?"

Lindsay shook her head and went back what she had been doing before the call, putting the patties onto the buns and took the plates to the table where the bowl of potato chips and chili beans were sitting. Justin brought the salad bowl and salad dressings to the table as Lindsay went back to get their drinks.

Justin sat down in his usual seat watching her as she walked into the kitchen.

"What do you want to drink?" She questioned opening the fridge door.

"I'll just take a soda," Justin said.

She nodded. After grabbing two cans of cola from the six pack she had in the fridge, she got out two glasses, putting ice into them and walked back to the table. She put them down as she sat down across from him.

He bowed his head, saying grace once more as Lindsay watched him once again her eyes half open. He finished and began to dig into his meal as Lindsay opened the soda can and began to pour it into her glass.

"Are you sure you're gonna be alright here?" He asked. "I don't have to go."

Lindsay rolled her eyes, taking a sip of her soda.

"Yes you have to go, your grandma is important to you," she said. "And I'll be fine."

Justin looked at her unsure as he took another bite of his burger.

"I can always get Jesse to come and protect me," Lindsay winked.

Justin chuckled.

"Not funny," he said shaking his head.

Lindsay smiled.

"I'll be fine, it's just a week and it's not like I can't take care of myself," she began. "I was just fine before you showed up and started stalking me."

He rolled his eyes, "You love it girl."

Lindsay laughed as she took a bite of her burger. They ate in silence for a few minutes, enjoying each other's company while they still had it.

"When do you leave?" Lindsay questioned.

"Early," he said. "I should be on the road by six."

Lindsay made a face.

"Have fun with that."

He laughed, "thanks."

Their dinner continued on with small chit chat once again. It had been awhile since they had last seen each other, so they had a few things to talk about.

Apparently Justin's friends had taken a liking to Lindsay, and they all wanted to hang out again, but this time they wanted Justin to host a party. Lindsay laughed at the thought of all of his buddy's bustling around his house doing who knows what to his things. She wouldn't mind seeing them again, except maybe Scooter, he was a little scary.

They had finished dinner and Justin insisted on helping her do the dishes. So they stood side by side at the sink as Lindsay washed and Justin dried.

"Hey Jus," Lindsay said.

"Hmm," he said after drying a plate and looked at her.

She smirked, her hand lifting from the water as she flicked some water at him. He closed his eyes quickly, gasping as the water hit his face.

"No you didn't," he said, looking at her.

She laughed, taking her hands out of the water and started to back away from him. He got this evil smirk on his face, tossing the towel onto the counter and chasing after her.

Lindsay squealed as she ran past him out of her back door and out into the field behind her house. Justin quickly followed her, reaching her and grabbing her by the waist to stop her from running. Lindsay's back was pushed against his chest as he held her tightly, she laughed loudly moving her feet under his causing him to lose his balance and they fell to the floor.

Justin landed on his back, with Lindsay in his arms as he continued to hold her waist; they both fell with a ‘oof'.

"Oww," Lindsay groaned as she rolled off of Justin.

They were laughing as they laid there in the middle of the grass field side by side. The grass rose over both of them, hiding them in the landscape.

"You okay?" Justin asked, laughter still evident in his voice as he turned and looked at her.

"That hurt," Lindsay said with a laugh.

"Teach you to throw water at me" he said, and looked up at the sky.

The sun was setting and darkness was setting into the night sky, the stars starting to make their appearance for the night.

"You didn't have to tackle me," Lindsay muttered looking up at the sky as well.

He chuckled, and closed his eyes taking a deep breath of the country air.

"You smell that?" he questioned.

"Smell what?" she asked.

"The cleanness in the air," he said, like it was obvious.

Lindsay took a deep breath, and closed her eyes too. Justin turned to watch her and smiled as she opened her eyes slowly.

Tell me where you from, what you do, what you like
Let me pick your brain girl
And tell me how they got that pretty little face on that pretty little frame girl
But let me show you 'round, let me take you out
Bet you we could we could have some fun girl


"Nice huh?" He asked.

She turned and looked at him, surprised he had been watching her. She nodded and he turned to look at the sky once more.

"I'm going to miss it," he said.

"You're gonna be gone for a week," Lindsay said. "And it's not like you're going far."

"Oh it's different, believe me."

Lindsay looked at his profile once more as he continued to look at the sky. She then noticed the cross tattoo sticking out of the bottom of his sleeve, and she reached forward pulling the material up to take in the whole cross. She hadn't been one for tattoos, but Adam had one: an eight ball on his back, on his shoulder blade.

"How many tattoos do you have?" She ran her finger around the pattern of the cross.

"A few," he said, and turned to look at her.

She looked at him. She hated to admit it, but she was really going to miss him this week. She had been used to him being around, even when she didn't want him around. He noticed her gazing at him, and he turned to lay on his side facing her.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

She shook her head, and turned to look at the sky once more. Justin wasn't convinced but he wasn't going to push her. The thing that worried her the most is that she was still getting those calls, and before Justin was here so if she ever needed him he was down the street. But for this week, he wouldn't be. Justin lay back on his back, as he reached for her hand and they laid there and watched the sun set.

The sun had completely gone down, and Justin turned to Lindsay once more leaning down to kiss her lips lightly before standing up, and bringing her up with him.

"We better get out of the field before old man Ackerman comes out," he said. "You ready for desert?" He asked as he made his way towards her house.

Lindsay caught up with him, to walk side by side with him up the back porch steps towards the door.

"What did you bring?" She questioned.

He opened the back door and allowed Lindsay to walk in first. He followed her closing the door behind him, as he walked back into the kitchen.

"Sit down in the living room, I'll bring it," he said.

Lindsay walked over to her small living room and sat cross legged onto the couch as she watched Justin prepare their desert in the kitchen. He had been over enough to know where everything was, and was capable of pulling out what he needed.

She watched him as he carefully cut the two pieces from the glass pan and put them on two plates and then scooped a spoon of vanilla ice cream from the container. He put everything away and carried the two plates towards her. She took one of the plates from him as he sat down next to her on the couch.

"What is it?" She asked, noticing the sliced peaches under the ice cream.

"Peach cobbler," he said. "My grandma's recipe."

Lindsay smiled, as she took a spoon cutting into it and eating it. Justin watched her closely for her reaction.

"Wow," she said. "You made this yourself?"

"I wish." he laughed. "No, I attempted, but I almost burnt my house down."

Lindsay laughed, she could totally see it.

"I gave the recipe to Ms. Sarah," he said. "And make her promise not to ever make it again, or give the recipe to anyone."

"It's really good," Lindsay spooned another bite into her mouth.

Justin smiled with satisfaction as he began to eat his too. They enjoyed their desert in silence for a few minutes. Then they continued their evening, talking a little and enjoying each other's company with no interruptions of phone calls.

Around eleven o'clock Justin decided he'd better go if he wanted to get some sleep before he had to be on the road. Lindsay was standing in the door way as Justin stood in front of her.

"You sure you don't want me to walk you home?" She questioned.

He smiled, "I'll manage."

She nodded, and he leaned forward and kissed her lips lightly.

"I'll call you sometime this week" he said.

"Okay," she said. "If you have time."

He stepped up forward once more, lifting her chin slightly, his lips meeting her once more. Lindsay groaned a little, as their tongues moved together in the steamy kiss. She broke the kiss a minute later to catch her breath, and leaned forward, wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him close. Justin smiled as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I'll call you when I get back ok?" He asked.

She nodded.

He broke the hug and stepped off the steps as Lindsay made her way back into the house. She waved to him once more as he began his journey down the road. When he was out of sight, she made her way back into the house closing and locking her door. She hated to admit it but, she was going to miss him.

~*~


"So, I heard Justin left town this morning," Karen smiled down at Lindsay.

"You busy body," Lindsay smiled. "Word travels to damn fast in this town. But yes, Justin did leave town this morning."

"For how long?"

"A week. He went to visit his Grandma."

"Mmm." Karen nodded. "And what do we plan on doing while boyfriend is away?"

"One, he is not my boyfriend."

"Yet."

"Two," she ignored Karen's interruption, "we plan on cleaning out the attic so it can be used for storage, and finally going into the city to buy a TV, and washing the car-."

"Mowing the lawn, yada yada. Nothing fun basically?"

"Basically."

"Well so much for spreading that gossip," she pouted momentarily. "So then, tell me how the non-relationship relationship is going."

Lindsay snorted.

"Things between us are fine."

"Just fine?"

"Very fine."

Karen sighed.

"You're so protective. C'mon girl, give me all the juicy details."

"There are no juicy details. We like each other. We hang out, we talk, we have fun. That's all. No details."

"Have you done it yet?"

Lindsay paused in her typing and looked up at Karen through her lashes.

"What?"

"Have you done it? Ya know, the dirty deed?"

Lindsay gave her a look.

"That boy is really handsome. I don't know if I'd be able to not-."

"Whoa okay," Lindsay held up her hand. "You can keep the rest of those details to yourself. Now quit bothering me before I start asking you for details on what you were doing last night."

Karen blushed and stepped away from the desk.

"You're too young to hear it child, too young to hear it."

"I think I'll always be too young."

"You want my advice?"

"Not really."

"You and Justin should stop playing house and decide what you want to do. Is this a rebound fling or the real thing?"

Karen headed into her office, leaving Lindsay alone at her desk. Though she hadn't wanted to admit it, she'd been wondering the same thing.

~*~


A few days later things were as usual. Lindsay went to work and came home, killed time by doing some reading, cleaning up around the house, she even went to dinner a couple of times with Karen. Justin had called her that day he left, leaving a message on her house phone that he got there safe and would call later in the week.

Lindsay was now laying across her couch, with the phone to the ear, making her weekly phone call to Ashlynn.

"So, how are things in your hick town?" Ashlynn asked.

Lindsay laughed, "Fine."

Ashlynn still had no idea where she was; just that she was in some small town. Lindsay did not want to risk Adam finding out, even if it was by accident.

"How's Mike?" Lindsay asked.

She could hear the smile in Ashlynn's voice.

"Good, we just celebrated our three year anniversary."

Adam had introduced the girls a couple of months after Lindsay and he had started dating. They completely hit it off and their relationship was born. It was nice because Lindsay had someone to hang out with when partying with Adam's frat brothers.

"Awww, what did you guys do?" Lindsay asked.

"He took me to Ruth Chris."

"Wow, that's ritzy," Lindsay said.

It was one of the most expensive steak restaurants in LA.

"Yeah, and he got us a room at the Magic Castle Hotel in Hollywood."

"Wow, I'm sure you fully repaid him," Lindsay laughed.

"Linds!" Ashlynn squealed in embarrassment.

Lindsay laughed.

"What about you?" Ashlynn asked. "Any men in that small town you call home?"

Lindsay was silent for a minute, she hadn't told her about Justin yet. The silence was heard loud and clear and Ashlynn took it as a sign.

"There are!" She accused.

"Maybe," Lindsay said, her smile brightening.

"I knew it!" Ashlynn laughed.

Lindsay giggled, feeling like a school girl.

"It's different this time Ash," Lindsay began to explain. "He's nothing like Adam, and it's been so nice to have him around."

"Oh no, you're getting that sound in your voice," Ashlynn said.

"Ash, I'm not," Lindsay defended. "We're just seeing each other."

"I bet," she said. "What does he do?"

"Just odds and ends here and there."

"Are you dating a slacker? What's his name?"

"Justin."

"Last name, please?" Ashlynn asked.

Lindsay heard the distinct sound of taping on the other end.

"What are you doing?"

"Googling him," Ashlynn said. "Don't you remember that movie Hitch?"

"Oh Ash, don't," Lindsay said giggling.

"Last name?" Ashlynn asked once again.

"Timberlake," Lindsay said.

"Justin Timberlake, huh? Why does that sound familiar? Are you sure he wasn't arrested for hacking someone to death recently?"

Lindsay giggled, "relatively positive, yes."

She heard the faint sounds of typing again, and everything was silent for a minute before Ashlynn gasped on the other end.

"What?"

"You said Justin Timberlake, right?"

"Yeah."

"Six foot one, curly brown and blonde hair, tattoo of a cross on his arm?"

"Yeah."

"Are you sure you're not forgetting to tell me anything about him?"

"No. He's just a small town boy from around here," Lindsay swung her legs over the side of the couch and sat up. "Why? Did you find something? Was he arrested for hacking someone to death?"

"Oh girl, you are not going to believe this," Ashlynn replied.

"What? Come on, tell me!"

"His name is Justin Timberlake-Hines."

Lindsay's brow furrowed.

"Okay...?"

"Hines. As in the shipping company." She said, as if she should have known.

"You mean the trucks?" A light bulb went off in Lindsay's mind.

"Yes. They do all that trucking, and they own ports in the South and the East too. The military uses them a lot. You didn't recognize the name?"

"He told me Hines was a nickname, not his last name."

"Whoa," Ashlynn sounded.

"What?"

"He's making BANK just being alive."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah. We're talking millions here. He's got two younger brothers, and when the parents kick the bucket, they're gotta split the company. He's the oldest, so he gets 50 percent, and the younger two get 25 a piece. The company's worth more than 700 million."

"Are you serious?" Lindsay questioned again. "Holy shit."

Ashlynn giggled.

"There's a fansite all about how pretty his abs are."

He did have a great stomach, however, Lindsay couldn't focus on that right now.

"Ash..."

"Sorry. I'll get back to research."

There was more typing.

"Hey, his grandma's birthday just passed."

"I know, that's where he went this week. Some big party."

"Yeah, it's in the papers. He'll be back the day after tomorrow?"

"It's really freaky how you know this."

"It's the abs fan girls, they know everything. Apparently he's very private. No one knows where he lives, he just pops in and out of key events like it's nothing."

"This is all just so... He never mentioned any of this to me."

"Well, maybe he just didn't know you that well before."

"But I would have thought he'd learned to trust me by now. I mean, I didn't tell him about Adam in the beginning, but I did eventually."

"That reminds me, Adam came by here the other night."

"Why?"

"Some guy jumped him the parking lot of his complex. Beat him up kind of bad, he had to go to the doctor."

"Wow. Why? Did he rob him or something?"

"No. He just told him something about keeping his hands to himself."

Lindsay's brow furrowed again.

"That's weird."

"I know, that's what I said. Then he started asking me questions about you. If you'd called again or said where you were. I didn't tell him anything ofcourse, and I cleared our ID so he can't look you up again."

"Good. Thanks."

"Ofcourse. So, let's see what else we can find out about Hines."

A few hours later Lindsay collapsed back down on her couch. She'd been in the backyard, washing her car for the past hour or so. At first she was trying to rid her mind of all the thoughts swirling around Justin, but she couldn't help it. She laid down on her side, propping her damp legs up on the arm rest, thinking over all the information she'd learned from Ashlynn's computer.

Justin had admitting he was using some old family money, but he'd never expressed that there was so much of it. His entire life had been chronicled in newspapers, from his birth, to the first time he was caught drinking underage, to the moment he disappeared from the social life.

It was all just so strange. What was he doing here? Hiding out? Why? Why would he keep a secret like this from her? Was that was his friends had been trying to tell her during the party when Justin kept kicking them under the table?

Before she could become completely enveloped in her thoughts there was a knock at her door. Letting out a sigh, she swung her legs back down to the floor and headed toward the door. The curtains were drawn around her large windows, so she couldn't right away see who it was. It was probably Karen, or old man Ackerman wanting her to get her car out of his field. Stepping up to the door, she reaching towards the locks while looking out the peephole and her entire body froze.

Adam.

Without a second thought she pulled her hand from the knob, and ducked down to the floor. She sat down, leaning her back against the wood. The knock sounded again, this time stronger.

"Lindsay? Are you in there?"

She kept quiet, pulling her knees to her chest and her eyes wandered around the house. The curtains were drawn, so he couldn't see her. Maybe if she just pretended like she wasn't home he'd leave. He didn't know her car was in the back yard, it did look like she wasn't around.

The knocking turned into pounding as he shouted her name and she raised a hand to cover her mouth. What was he doing here anyway? How had he found her? What did he want? To drag her back to California with him?

After sitting there for a few minutes she heard heavy steps on the wood of her porch, soon followed by the slamming of a car door. Sitting up on her knees, Lindsay peaked out the corner of one of her windows and saw a red four-door backing out of her drive way. She could make out Adam in the drivers seat, looking tired and annoyed. He glanced at her house once more before putting the car into drive and racing off down the street.

All over she started to shake as she scooted away from the door and into the corner. She couldn't pretend to be gone for forever. She couldn't just pack up and run either. She'd built a life and friendships here. So what was she going to do if he came back?

~*~


The following morning Lindsay called into work sick. She didn't know how long Adam had been in town, and how much he'd managed to find out about her. She didn't want to do anything predictable. However, she hadn't thoroughly thought out her plan, otherwise she would have taken into account the fact that she didn't have any food. Her only options were starvation, or to go to the diner.

Getting into her car, she took the back roads into town, parking her car a block away. As she strolled down the street she kept her eyes keened for the ghost. He was probably lurking somewhere, waiting for the moment to strike. Looking up, she noticed Justin's car parked amongst the other in front of the diner.

She knew he was back in town today, courtesy of his voicemail on her answering machine early that morning. "Hey Pretty City Girl, just letting you know I'm heading back to the country, finally! Why don't you swing by my place when you get off work? I miss you." She didn't answer because she'd begun screening all of her calls since Adam's arrival.

In one fluid motion relief and excitement washed over here. Justin was back, and Justin always made things better. Opening the door to the diner, she stepped in and smiled at Ms. Sarah. She'd called ahead and her take-home lunch was already prepared. She handed Sarah the money and the older woman turned away to get to food while Lindsay's eyes searched the diner for Justin.

She glanced from booth to booth, looking for him, his smile, his eyes. Finally she found him towards the back, but before she was even allowed to be happy about it, she noticed the blonde sitting across from them. Justin was grinning like crazy at her, and the girl loved it. She flipped her long silky hair and reached across the table to pat Justin's arm.

Lindsay saw red, and she turned green with envy. Stomping over to the table, she stopped next to them, her hands on her hips. Their conversation paused and Justin looked up at her. At first he smiled, and then it faded.

"Lindsay? Hey, what are you doing here?"

"I should ask you the same thing," she spat.

"I'm having lunch with-."

"Your new girlfriend. I can see that."

"Girlfriend? What are you-?"

"No, don't," she held up her hand. "Don't bother."

Lindsay turned on her heels, paused to look at the stunned blonde sitting in front of her. She was beautiful, with big blue eyes and full pink lips. She wore heels and a casual white suit. She was tall and sophisticated, and everything Lindsay was not.

Lindsay eyed her for a moment, and then turned to head out of the diner. She picked up her bag from the counter and stormed out the door, Justin hot on her heels.

"Lindsay? Hey, Lindsay come back here."

She ignored his call and she stormed down the street. He jogged up to her and reached out to grab her arm. She spun around and snatched it back.

"What is your problem? I'm just having lunch."

"My problem? What is your problem? Who is she?"

"My-."

"You know what, don't answer that. I don't want to know. And whatever you say, it's probably going to be another lie."

"What?"

"I know all about you, Justin Hines."

He opened his mouth to speak, but then he sighed and dropped his head.

"That's right. I know all about you, and your parents, and the business. Hines isn't a nickname, that's you. You lied to me."

She turned her back, heading towards her car once again.

"Lindsay! Lindsay come back."

"Leave me alone."

She unlocked the door, tossed her things into the passenger seat, and headed towards her house.

Lindsay drove as fast as she could, her vision blurred with tears that she tried to keep at bay. She wasn't going to allow herself to cry over Justin.

She drove home the back way, forgetting that the regular way was quicker and when she pulled up to her house Justin was already there, pacing on her front porch. God, he was persistent. His shinny Mercedes parked in her drive way reminded her of who he really was.

She parked her car next to his in the drive way and got out, grabbing her purse and lunch from the passenger seat, she wasn't even hungry anymore. As soon as she stepped foot out of the car, Justin made his way towards her, walking down the steps.

"Leave Justin," Lindsay warned. "I'm so not in the mood for this."

He shook his head, crossing his arms over his chest.

"No way. I'm not leaving until we talk about this."

Do what I gotta do
Just gotta show you
That I'm the one girl


"Talk about what?" She questioned. "The fact that you have been lying to me ever since I met you?"

Justin stayed quiet as he watched her walk past him, practically shoving him out of the way as she made her way up her porch steps. She stopped at the door, messing with her keys as she tried to find her house key.

"Lindsay please, listen to me a minute," Justin said, turning to face her.

"Why should I?" She asked before turning to face him as he stood at the bottom of the porch steps. "Give me one good reason why I should listen to anything you say."

Justin looked at her a minute. She was right; there was no reason for her to listen to him. He had lied to her from the very beginning, not telling her anything about his past or his ever present future.

"You didn't come out and tell me about yourself at first," Justin defended.

Lindsay stayed quiet a minute, her bottom lip going into her mouth as she gnawed on it. While she was thinking, Justin had begun to make his way into the porch, taking each step slowly, waiting for Lindsay to tell him to stop.

"My secret was nothing compared to yours," Lindsay said after a minute, stopping Justin on the steps.

He looked up at her as she stood in front of her door. She turned and unlocked her door, before turning back to look at him once more.

"You're a freaking millionaire!" Lindsay said, "and you didn't feel the need to share that information with me."

Justin stayed silent, watching her.

"Did you think I was going to take your money?"

Justin gulped, his hands going into the pockets of his jeans.

"I had to find this information from Ashlynn," she said. "You didn't even have the guts to tell me yourself."

"Lindsay, please," he finally spoke. "It's not something I share with everyone, no one in this town knows about me and I like it that way."

"That was the most embarrassing thing that has happened to me," Lindsay informed him, "Having my best friend tell me about the guy I've been seeing. That he's rich by being alive and not doing a damn thing."

Ouch, that hurt. Justin looked down at his feet once more before looking up at her and taking the final step so that he was standing on the actual porch now. They were silent for a minute, still looking at each other. Justin was trying to think of something to say, while Lindsay watched for a response.

"You even have your own fan base," she laughed. "This is ridicules!"

She turned to walk into the house, and Justin stepped closer reaching for her arm before she could get into the house. His hand cupped her elbow, and Lindsay turned quickly to face him.

"I can't do this now," Lindsay said, her lips pursing together. "I'm too hur.t"

Justin's face dropped as he looked at her, there was no skirting around the issue that he had lied to her, and hadn't been truthful. She already had trust issues before, between her parents dying and Adam; this didn't make it any better.

He was about to tell her okay, when he noticed she was looking off in the distance her eyes squinting. Then her mouth dropped open, her eyes got big.

"Oh god," she whimpered.

Justin turned to see a red four-door making it's way down the road, kicking up dirt as he came flying towards them. Justin noticed the man in the driver's seat, his grin almost evil-like as he made his way closer to them. Justin looked at Lindsay, and seeing the fear in her eyes he knew who it was.

"Adam?" He questioned.

She tore her eyes away from the truck and looked at him, nodding.

"He came to the house the other day, and I pretended I wasn't home," she whispered. "He's come to take me away."

Justin shook his head, and looked at the truck getting closer and closer, then turned to Lindsay.

"I want you to go through your house, out the back door, and run as fast as you can to old man Ackerman's," Justin said, looking at Lindsay.

She wasn't looking at him though; she was looking at the truck making its way towards her house.

"Lindsay," he said his voice stern, and she finally looked at him.

"Go to Ackerman's, and tell him there's an emergency," Justin spoke again.

"He could kill you," Lindsay said, looking at Justin her eyes full of fear.

He smirked, "I'll be okay." He held her hand tightly, "Go now, before he gets close."

Lindsay looked at him once more and turned to see Adam's truck park on the side of the road in front of her house. Justin released her hand from his and she made a mad dash into the house, through her kitchen and out the back door and ran as fast as she could towards old man Ackerman's.

Justin watched her leave the back door, it slammed as she rushed out of it and he turned his attention to the tall man getting out of the truck. He had shaggy brown hair, and looked like he hadn't shaved in days. Justin could see the distinct red mark that was around his eye, no doubt leftover from the beating he might have taken from Justin's "helper".

"Where is she?" He asked, his voice raising as he made his way towards the house.

"I think you should go," Justin warned, standing on the top of the porch steps. "She obviously doesn't want to be with you anymore."

Adam laughed.

"Says who, you? Who the fuck are you?"

Justin smirked, "Not someone you want to mess around with."

Adam and Justin said nothing, just looking at each other with dirty looks.

"I see your eye is healing," Justin said a minute later.

Adam's hand went up to his eye self consciously.

"That was you?"

Justin chuckled.

"No," he said coolly. "But, I had a hand in it."

"You asshole, I was in the hospital for two days for the shit you did to me!" Adam raged.

"I didn't do anything," Justin said, defending himself. "But it serves you right, teach you to hit women."

Adam's hands started to turn into fists.

"I need to talk to her," he said sternly.

"No, I don't think you do," Justin said, keeping his cool.

The conversation was going pretty smoothly between them; Justin was doing his best to keep Adam away from the house and keeping him calm until old man Ackerman would get there with his gun collection.

"You don't know anything about us," Adam said. "You have no idea what's going on"

Justin chuckled once more.

"I think I do," he said. "She's not here anyway."

"Her car is here," Adam said turning to look at it then at him.

"So?"

Adam made his way towards the house walking up the steps. Justin stood his ground, standing in front of the doorway.

"Dude, you need to get out of my way," Adam said, trying to shove past him.

Justin moved his hands to Adam's chest, pushing him back and Adam stumbled back down the steps.

"I'm not afraid of hitting you, you know," Adam said.

"Me neither," Justin said.

Lindsay ran as fast as she could towards old man Ackerman's forcing herself not to look back at the house. She knew Adam would be upset, especially since Justin was there. There was no telling what might happen.

Lindsay almost sighed in relief when she saw Ackerman's house come into view. She climbed onto the porch panting as she reached his door and pounded on it.

"Oh god, please be home," she moaned.

Within minutes a burly, rough-looking man opened the door. He was wearing faded, oil-stained blue jean overalls with no shirt underneath, and bulky black boots. He looked like he had been out in the fields all day, his hair a sweaty mess and his arms covered with a thin layer of dirt.

"Lindsay?" He questioned, his voice deep.

Lindsay took a deep breath trying to calm herself down; she could feel the thin layer of sweat forming on her skin.

"Trouble, Justin," she spat out between gasps for breath, pointing to her house.

Ackerman needed no other explanation and he disappeared into the house while Lindsay turned to look back at the house. She couldn't see anything beyond her back porch though. About 20 seconds later Ackerman came out of the house a shot gun in hand.

"C'mon," he said and took off towards her house.

Lindsay ran after him, noticing the pistol in his back pocket.

Justin and Adam were still giving each other dirty looks, Justin still on the porch looking down at Adam who stood in front of him on the dirt.

"Who the fuck are you anyway?" Adam asked once again.

Justin smirked, "Not important."

"Look, whoever you are, I really need to talk to Lindsay," Adam started. "We've got unfinished business."

"No, I think she finished it," Justin replied. "If she wanted to talk to you, she would have called you."

"How do you know she didn't?" Adam asked.

Justin chuckled,"I would know. Believe me."

Adam rolled his eyes.

"What? You monitor her phone calls?"

Justin shook his head and was about to respond when he heard a gun shot, it sounded like it was behind the house. Adam ducked onto the floor after hearing the shot and Justin turned to see Ackerman come stomping through Lindsay's house with a wide eyed Lindsay behind him.

"What the fuck?" Adam said, standing up.

Ackerman came into view, aiming the shot gun at Adam and reached into his back pocket taking the pistol out and handed it to Justin, who took it and pointed it at Adam as well. Adam looked between the two men, and then at Lindsay as she stood behind them.

"I think it's time for you to get on," Ackerman said.

"Listen-," Adam started, but was cut off.

"No sir," Ackerman interrupted. "The young lady made it clear she doesn't want to be around you."

Adam took a step forward.

"Lindsay please," he begged.

Ackerman took a step forward as well and cocked the bullet into place.

"Take one step and I'll blow you away little boy," he almost growled, pointing the gun in Adam's face.

Adam's eyes got big as he looked at the gun in his face, and he held up his hands.

"All right, I'm gone," he said, and backed away.

He walked backward towards his truck, Justin and Ackerman continued to point the guns at him as he looked at Lindsay once more before getting into his truck. He started it and took off like a bat out of hell, disappearing from sight.

Both men waited until Adam was out of sight, before putting down their guns. Lindsay stood in the doorway of her house watching the two men on her porch. They both turned to look back at her, putting their guns down.

"You alright?" Ackerman asked her, reaching out to rub her arm.

Lindsay sighed and nodded.

"Thank you" she said, still a little spooked.

"I think it's safe to say he won't be coming back," Justin said, with a nod.

All three were silent for a minute. Justin then handed Ackerman back his gun, "Let me walk you out," he said, patting the older gentlemen's back.

Ackerman turned to Justin with a nod; they turned and walked around the house heading towards the back yard. Lindsay walked into the house, closing her door and sat herself down on the couch. She hugged her legs to her chest, resting her chin on her knees.

Just because Justin practically saved her life didn't mean she was going to forgive him right away. He still lied to her. She could hear the mumbling of the two men saying goodbye at the back of her house, and then the back door opened up and Justin stepped through, closing it behind him.

Lindsay looked up as he stepped into the house, and he stopped in the kitchen watching her.

"You alright?" he questioned, concern filling his face.

She nodded, but didn't say anything.

"He's not coming back," Justin assured her, as he continued his way towards her. "I think Ackerman gave him a good scare," he chuckled.

Lindsay didn't even crack a smile. Justin sighed and ran a hand through his semi grown back hair and went to sit down next to Lindsay on the couch. He noticed that she inched away a little.

"I guess we should talk about other things now," Justin said.

Lindsay turned to look at him.

"You should be doing the talking," she mumbled.

"You're right," he said. "Well, I'm sure you know everything."

Lindsay turned to look at him.

"My parents are rich, which I told you, and I'm an heir to a family business: a shipping company. I came here because I wanted to be left alone, I didn't want the life like Paris has, it wasn't something I wanted," he began. "My personal life is my own, and my business life is shared with other people."

"Except me," Lindsay said.

Justin sighed, "I made a mistake in not telling you ok? I admit that, but does it really change what we have?"

"How can I trust you?" Lindsay asked. "I haven't seen you in a week, and first time I do you're huddled in the corner with some woman."

Justin rolled his eyes.

"That women was my cousin," he said. "If you would have let me answer your question you would have known that."

Lindsay looked at him.

"Your cousin?" She questioned.

He nodded.

"She runs the business down South," he said. "She wasn't able to make it to the party, so she came by to update me."

Duh. God. Now she felt like a complete idiot. Losing it in front of his cousin like that, she must've thought she was a complete idiot.

"Speaking of my cousin, I should probably call her," he said.

Then he got up, pulling the phone from his jean pocket. He walked into the kitchen, as Lindsay stayed there on the couch, looking at him as he talked into the phone. She felt like an idiot. Like one of those jealous girlfriends, when their man so much as looked at another women in their presence.

She turned and looked out her window as the sun had started to make its way West. The summer days they had shared together were coming to an end, and Lindsay didn't know if they would be together to see the rest. She sighed once more and turned to rest her chin on her knees, watching Justin as he finished up his conversation. A few minutes later Justin came back into the living room and sat back down on the couch once again.

"Is she upset?" Lindsay asked looking at him.

He shook his head, "Just confused."

They remained silent once again, both trying to think of something to say to the other.

"Listen, City Girl," he said, he reached out and rest a hand on her shoulder.

Lindsay turned to look at him. Justin took it as a good sign that she didn't seem upset over the nickname he made for her.

"I shouldn't have lied to you. You're absolutely right about that, and I'm sorry. But what I do for a living, and what my parents do, doesn't change who I am. I'm still the same guy that lays in the field and watches the stars, and runs from the geese in the front yard, and nearly burned his house down making peach cobbler."

Lindsay giggled before she could help it and he reached up to rub her cheek.

"And that loves kissing you, because sometimes you're just too beautiful not to. And I want you to know that, and see all that. And I want you to see my penthouse in New York, and our ranch in Georgia, and all the other things that are part of who I am. In a way I'm glad that you found out, even though I should have told you, because now you can see all of me."

Lindsay stood from the sofa, and crossed her arms over her chest as she looked out the front windows.

"I don't know Justin, this changes everything. Every time I look at your house, or your car I'm reminded that you were hiding yourself from me. Hiding, like I was some gossip columnist for the local paper. How am I supposed to see you everyday and not think of that?

Speaking of seeing him everyday, Justin stood from the sofa as well and moved behind her.

"Lindsay, summer is almost over, and with the new season comes new commitments on my part," he explained. "Things that I have to do, for my parents."

Lindsay turned to look at him, her eyes narrowing.

"So is this it then?" Lindsay asked. "It was just something to kill time in the summer?"

He sighed, stuffing his hands into his pockets. She watched him, fearing the worst.

"It's not something I do for summer, but with business picking up I won't be here as much. I've got meetings and conferences and..."

Lindsay's eyes lowered sadly. So this was the end of them then. It had all been fun and games, and now he was going back to his real world. Justin's hand gently toying with one of hers pulled her from her thoughts and she looked up at him.

"But I'm hoping that you'll want to visit the city alot."

"Why?" She asked softly. "You're going back to your glamorous life, what do you need me around for?"

The summer's over for the both of us
But that doesn't mean we should give up on love
You're the one I've been thinking of
And I knew the day I met you you'd be the one


Justin swallowed and chewed on his cheek for a moment. Then he shook his head.

"Because I want you around. Because the entire time I was gone I couldn't get you out of my head. This wasn't just some summer fling City Girl, you know that. So don't give up on us."

"Why?" She asked.

Lindsay put her hands on her hips and stepped closer to him, their faces inches apart.

"You're sorry, and you know you did the wrong thing, but give me one good reason why I should forgive you. Tell me why."

"Why?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Because."

"That's not a reason."

She was getting upset again, he could tell. He had to tell her something, something meaningful, something that was true.

"Because," his eyes lowered. "I think I love you."

Lindsay watched him a moment, not wanting to believe or even listen to his words. She closed her eyes and let out a sigh, but before she could open them and attempt to speak again he covered her mouth with his. Silencing any protest she might have had with a kiss, his arms wrapping around her tightly. He kissed her insane, breaking down all the walls of anger she'd built toward him. When he pulled away, he still held her close, listening to her gentle panting as she tried to catch her breathe.

"I love you."

He brushed away the water that slowly fell from her eyes. Lindsay was frozen in time, she couldn't even breath. She'd never dreamt she'd hear those words from anyone again, let alone Justin. But they sounded good, and so different from when Adam would mutter them to her. They were sincere, and full of promise and meaning.

As his hands smoothed up and down her back, she lifted her eyes, staring at him for a moment. Then she turned her head towards the window, looking out over the field across the street from her home as she hugged him frame closer.

I can't wait to fall in love with you
You can't wait to fall in love with me
This just can't be summer love, you'll see
This just can't be summer love


-*-The End-*-
End Notes:
Spacey1141@hotmail.com - Traci
jcsdirtylilchica@hotmail.com - Coffee
Winner of Season 7 for the Lovers Of Nsync Awards by Sassy Spacey
Thank you all so much for voting.
We did win two awards.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

-Traci & Coffee
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=46