First Comes Love by PopDiva
Summary:

JC asks one of his best friends, Jess to be his "girlfriend" in the Girlfriend video. Things get a little crazy when some of his fans object. In the meantime, Chris likes Jess and Jess likes Chris, but something is holding them back from really connecting. Will Jess allow Chris to break down the walls and let him in?


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Chris Kirkpatrick, Group, JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: No Word count: 54716 Read: 44007 Published: Aug 11, 2007 Updated: Jun 04, 2010
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

The idea for this story came from watching the Girlfriend video and wondering what it would have been like if they used a girl who was a little on the heavier side to be one of the girlfriends. It kind of spiralled from there. I've been working on this for awhile, so I'll probably post a lot at first until I reach as far as I've written. I know what I want to have happen, I've just got to get it written! Please let me know what you think. My plan is for this to be the first in a three part series.

1. Chapter 1 by PopDiva

2. Chapter 2 by PopDiva

3. Chapter 3 by PopDiva

4. Chapter 4 by PopDiva

5. Chapter 5 by PopDiva

6. Chapter 6 by PopDiva

7. Chapter 7 by PopDiva

8. Chapter 8 by PopDiva

9. Chapter 9 by PopDiva

10. Chapter 10 by PopDiva

11. Chapter 11 by PopDiva

12. Chapter 12 by PopDiva

13. Chapter 13 by PopDiva

14. Chapter 14 by PopDiva

15. Chapter 15 by PopDiva

16. Chapter 16 by PopDiva

17. Chapter 17 by PopDiva

18. Chapter 18 by PopDiva

19. Chapter 19 by PopDiva

20. Chapter 20 by PopDiva

21. Chapter 21 by PopDiva

22. Chapter 22 by PopDiva

23. Chapter 23 by PopDiva

24. Chapter 24 by PopDiva

25. Chapter 25 by PopDiva

26. Chapter 26 by PopDiva

Chapter 1 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
I don't know if the guys ever did live chats online, it just sounded like something fun for them to do.
Chris was this month's victim for the live online chat. He didn't mind, he found it quite fun. He enjoyed the excitement of the fans and usually he got some really good questions. More often than not, he got the moronic questions: "Can you ask JC if he will marry me?", "Boxers or briefs?", "Can I get Lance's phone number?", but he got his fun with those questions by giving really absurd answers (Lance's number usually was the phone number for the local pizza place). It was a creative outlet for him and he enjoyed pulling the fans' legs.
Today's chat was going fairly well. The moderator was doing a great job of sorting out the questions and answers. It was almost time to wrap it up when Mary, the moderator and all-around IT guru tapped his shoulder.
"Chris, I don't know if you're going to want to handle this one." She pointed to a question on her screen. "There are about ten questions, all similar." She shook her head in disbelief.
Chris read the message quickly. His anger piqued immediately. "Mary, fire it over here. I'll respond to that." While he waited for the question to appear on his screen, he thought about what he wanted to say. He was really not impressed.
The question was, "Where did they find that girl who played JC's girlfriend in the Girlfriend video?" which didn't sound so bad at first, but the follow-up did. "She's huge! She should be ashamed to be seen in public!"
The question popped up on his screen. He took a deep breath and started typing. "Actually, the girl who played JC's girlfriend is a very close personal friend of all of us. She is gorgeous! She's incredibly beautiful, and any one who knows her knows this is true. She's fantastic. She can make your day just by sharing one of her smiles with you. She's a friend who would go that extra mile for you. A guy would be very blessed indeed to have her as his girlfriend."
When he finished his reply, Mary concluded the chat and thanked the fans for their participation.
Chris was still angry when he stepped away from the keyboard. He stormed out of the room and was pacing the hall when he bumped into JC. Chris stopped long enough to help JC up off the floor then stalked off down the hallway.
"What's eating him?" JC mumbled.
Mary was just coming out of the room and saw the whole proceedings. "It was the chat. The last question really pissed him off."
JC was slightly startled as he hadn't expected an answer to his question. "Hey Mary. How did a chat question get him all riled up?"
"Why don't you ask him?" she pointed to Chris who was coming back towards them.
"Chris? What's going on, man?" JC was getting worried.
"Jace, does Jess usually read the transcripts of the chats?"
"Yeah, but what does Jess have to do with this?"
"Do me a favour, call her and ask her not to look at this one, OK?"
"What?" JC looked at his friend as if he'd suddenly grown a second head.
"Chris," Mary interrupted. "I know what you're trying to do, but it won't work. I did a search and there are a lot of threads on all the fan sites about it. It's not going to go away."
"OK, you two, what's going on?" JC looked back and forth between the two, trying to get a straight answer.
"Come with," Chris sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. "I guess I'd better show you."
JC, Chris and Mary went back into the suite and Chris sat JC down in front of the computer. He pointed at the relevant message. JC had trouble concealing his anger and frustration.
"What?! Where do these people get off? Jess is beautiful! She's a knockout! How can anyone say that about her?"
Mary responded, "Apparently, in their small world, people who are bigger than a size two don't have a right to live, let alone be beautiful. I hate to show you guys this, but there's more." She turned her computer towards them. Their jaws dropped when they saw the results of Mary's Google search. How could this be happening?
"I'm going to get the other guys," Chris said as he got up. "We're going to have to do something about this. What are we going to do about Jess?"
"I have no idea," JC replied as he put his head in his hands. His thoughts wandered back:

"Come on, Jess, pleeeeeeze!"
"Josh, give me a break. Knock off the whining already."
"Baby, I'll stop whining if you say yes."
"Is that a promise? ‘Cause you're driving me crazy!"
"I promise. Pleeeeeeeeeze!"
"OK, OK, OK. I give, Josh. I'll do it. I don't know why you want me of all people to be in this video with you, but I'll do it. But, I want something from you in return."
"Sure, baby, what do you want?"
"First of all, don't call me baby. I'm not a baby, OK? Second of all, I want you to promise that you and I can spend a whole day together when you get some time off."
"Deal! You know you're my best girl, don't you?"
"Sure, Josh. I already said yes, you don't need to lay it on so thick now."

It had taken a lot to convince her to do the video with him. She said that she was a regular homebody type of girl, not a gorgeous model type. Josh had assured her that she was just the girl he wanted to play his girlfriend. "Jess, you're a real woman. You are incredibly sexy with all those curves, girl! You are beautiful! You've got this inner beauty that shines through you and illuminates you. Jess, if you saw yourself the way the other guys and me see you, you would totally understand why I chose you. Please say you'll play my girlfriend."

Chris returned to the suite with Joey, Lance and Justin in tow.
"Jace? What's wrong? Did someone die?" The three newcomers jumped in all at once.
JC shook his head, "Nah, guys, I'm fine. I just don't know what to do next."
"Shit!"
All five members of NSYNC turned abruptly towards Mary who almost never swore.
Mary looked at them. "I'm sorry. I just can't believe this crap. And now I've got a death threat here. We're going to have to move fast with this, guys. And you're going to have to let Jess know about this."
Chris gave the three newcomers a quick rundown of the situation. They agreed that this was crazy. They all knew and loved Jess. They couldn't believe anyone, let alone people who were supposed to be their fans would react like this.
While Mary went to work contacting the Internet Service Provider of the person who posted the death threat and then to contact the authorities, the guys formed a huddle, trying to decide what to do about Jess.
JC was in deep thought when his cell phone rang. He really didn't feel like answering it, but he saw Jess' number, so he got it on the second ring.
"Hey, Baby, how are you?"
"Josh, Josh, Josh, why do you always call me baby? Aren't I older than you?"
He grudgingly laughed, "Yeah, but maybe if I call you baby, you'll feel younger and you'll want to date a younger guy like me."
"Not going to happen, Chasez. I love you, but not that way!"
"Aw, I love you too. So, what's up?"
"What's up? Well I figured you were probably not sure of what to say to me, so I thought I'd call you and tell you I already know."
"Know what?" he asked in what he hoped sounded like sincerity.
"Josh, don't fool with me, OK? I know about Chris's chat today and that I am currently number two on the most used key word of the day. By the way, tell Chris that I think he's a sweetheart for what he said about me."
JC looked over his shoulder. "I'm not going to tell him that! Do you know how silly that will sound from me?"
"Fine, goofball, let me talk to Chris."
"Hey, Chris, Jess wants to talk to you." JC handed the phone to him.
"Hey Sweetie, how are you?"
"I'm fine, Chris. How are you doing? They sure gave you a rough time in the chat today". She didn't give him to a chance to get a word in edgewise. "Look, I want to thank you for what you wrote about me being beautiful and all, it was really sweet."
"Well, Sugar, it wasn't meant to be sweet. I was simply telling the truth. To be honest, I was hoping you wouldn't see any of that crap that got posted about you. It is all crap you know."
"Yeah, I know, but it wasn't all crap, Chris, some fans posted some really nice stuff about me too. But really, I'm not worried, Chris. So I'm not a skinny little chick. I am a big girl, but I take care of myself, and I know that the value of my life is not in my weight. I don't care what they think about me.
I wasn't going to read any of the transcripts until this evening, but Becky dearest called me to share the wonderful news. She made sure that I knew how everyone thinks I'm fat and started to tell me about all the diets I should try."
"Ugh! What is that girl's problem? Isn't she your friend?"
"Want to know a secret? She was my friend for a little while, then I realized she only hung out with me to meet Josh. Now that she has, she's insanely jealous of the relationship I have with him. That was part of the reason I agreed to be in the video-I knew it would drive her crazy!"
Chris laughed. "I never knew you had an evil streak to you!"
"Yes you did! Weren't you there the time I put Josh's hand in warm water when he slept in and I wanted to go out?"
"Oh yes, I do remember that!" A grin cracked his face. "A woman after my heart. Oh! Here, JC wants to talk to you again." Chris handed the phone back to JC who was gesturing impatiently.
"Hey, Honey, how are you doing about all this?" JC asked.
"I'm OK, Josh. I was telling Chris that I know that my weight isn't me and so what if I'm not a toothpick. Most guys I know prefer a little meat on a woman anyway. "That's true, I know I do." He grinned.
"Not going to work, Josh, still not going to go out with you."
"Oh, Jess, that hurt!"
"Sure it did, you big baby. So what's the plan here?"
"We're actually just talking about it. Can I call you back in a while and let you know the plan?"
"Sure, no problem. Don't hang up if you get the machine, OK? I'm screening calls, so just say something and I'll pick up."
"What do you mean you're screening your calls? Why?"
"What do you mean what do I mean?" She sounded exasperated. "I'm screening my calls. I've gotten a few weird phone calls this afternoon, so I'm being selective in who I pick up the phone for."
He sighed, "Jessie, I'm so sorry that this is happening. I'll fix it somehow."
"Josh, don't be sorry. I'm not. If being in that video with you is what it takes for people to start realizing that we don't all have to fit into the moulds that society tries to cram us in, it's a good thing."
JC shook his head and let out a small chuckle in spite of himself. "You always know how to put a positive spin on everything, don't you?"
She smiled, "Of course, don't forget, I'm your Suzie Sunshine. I'll let you go. Call me soon, OK?"
"Yeah, I will. Love you!"
"Love you too, Josh."

"She's already screening her calls?" Chris was angry.
"Yeah. She's gotten a few weird calls already. What are we going to do?" JC looked around the room at his friends' faces and realized they didn't have a clue either.
"Well," said Lance, "If they've already tracked down her phone number, I think we need to get her some protection and get her out of there. From the looks of these web pages, a lot, but certainly not all, of this is hate mail, and who knows what someone might try to do to her."
"Agreed," said Joey. "Let's get her out of there first. Where can we place her?"
The five guys thought for a few minutes.
"I've got an idea," Chris said. "For now, why don't we send her to stay with my mom and sisters. She knows them and would be comfortable there."
"Good idea," Lance said. "Why don't you call your mother? Hey, Jace, why don't you get Jess's friend Becky to go over and keep Jess company until we can get her out of there?"
"No!" Chris yelped. "Don't do that!"
"Why not?"
"Because Becky is a bitch, that's why. She's the one who called Jess to let her know about all the press and even gave her diet advice. She's out to get JC, and is jealous of his relationship with Jess."
JC laughed. "What? You're kidding, right?" He stopped laughing when he saw Chris' face. "You're not kidding. Man, I never really liked the girl, but I figured she was a friend of Jess, so I'd put up with her. If I'd known what she was really like..." he left off, shaking his head.
Chris went to the other side of the room to call his mom. JC decided to get Jess on the phone again. Her phone rang and rang as he expected, and it finally went to the machine.
"Hey! Sorry I missed your call. You know what to do!" .
"Jess, it's Josh. Pick up. Jess? Pick up, Jess! I'm serious, Jess! PICK UP!-Damn!" JC slammed his cell phone shut. "The machine cut me off!"
He redialled the number and waited for the machine to pick up again. "Jessamyn Elisabeth Crosby, I swear, if you do not pick up this phone right this instant, I'm going to hop on the next flight and come and kick your ass myself! Pick up, dammit!"
"Joshua? What the hell is your problem? Can't a girl go to the bathroom without getting screamed at?" She sounded angry.
"Oh, thank God! I just got worried when you didn't answer the first time." He was relieved.
"Well, next time I'll take the phone to the bathroom with me, would that make you happy?" she asked sarcastically.
"Very funny, smart ass! Why can't you ever be serious?" He was angry with her now.
"I can be serious, Josh, but if I'm serious, I'll lose my cool."
"It's OK to lose your cool. Talk to me. How are you really feeling?" She could hear the concern in his voice.
She sighed. "You sure you really want to know?"
"Would I have asked if I didn't?" he almost laughed.
"No, I guess not. Joshie, I'm scared. People keep calling me and now they're ringing the doorbell, and it's just plain weird. Why do they care how I look? Why do they have to make a big deal about my appearance? I know I'm heavy, I don't need them rubbing it in my face! You know they say that you are your own worst critic? Well now the whole country seems to agree with my worst critic, and it feels really shitty." She broke off as she sobbed.
"Oh, honey! I wish I could be there with you. I'd give you a super big hug."
"I know you would. You do give the best hugs around." She sniffed, trying to control her tears.
"Look, I know this won't help how you are feeling, but we're going to get you out of there, OK? You're going to stay with Chris's family."
"You guys don't have to do that. I'll be OK." She went back to being the tough guy.
"No way!" He practically yelled at her. "We are not letting you stay there when you have crank callers and people outside of the house. Lance is on the phone hooking up with some security to come and get you. Can you get your stuff packed?"
"Yeah, but how long should I pack for?"
"I don't know. Take as much as you might need for a week or two and if you need anything else, we'll get it for you."
"Jace?" He was surprised by how vulnerable she sounded.
"Yeah, babe?"
"Will you stay on the phone with me until the security guy gets here? I'm scared."
"Yeah, we'll stay on the phone with you. Don't worry. I think the other guys might want to talk to you as well. OK? I'm going to pass you to Joey. Get packing though, OK?
"Yeah, I will. Thanks!"

"Hey, Beautiful!" She loved the sound of Joey's voice; it always made her smile.
"Hi Joe. How are you doing?"
"I'm OK, just worried about you."
"You don't need to worry. You guys are taking good care of me. Hey, help me pack. What kind of clothes should I bring?"
"Well, let's see. You'll definitely need under-thingies, you know, those double barrelled slingshot thingies, and pyjamas, unless of course you sleep in the nude, in which case, I want you to come and share my suite." He smiled, knowing he was going to get a reaction out of her.
Jess just groaned. "Joseph, what am I going to do with you? I meant should I bring nice dressy clothes or just my regular stuff?"
"OK, I'd say bring a couple dressy things and your regular comfortable clothes. We're setting up a press conference, and you may want to be in on it. Of course, like JC told you, if you need anything, we can get it for you. Oh, hey, Lance wants to talk to you."
"Hey gorgeous," she heard his deep voice rumble and knew he meant what he said.
"Hi Lance. What's up?"
"Well, look, the security company is sending over two guys. They are going to pick you and your luggage up. We'll have someone from the company keep surveillance on your place while you're gone."
"Lance, this seems like a lot of work. Thanks for planning it all. I feel better already."
"Jess, you know it's not a problem. I only wish I could do more for you. You keep your chin up sweetie. I'm going to pass you to Chris."
"Thanks, Lance."
"Your name is Jessamyn?" Chris mocked.
"Oh, shut up! It's not like I picked it. Why do you think I tell everyone to call me Jess? I'm going to have to give Mr. Chasez some beats for telling everyone my name that way."
"Hey, I like your name. It's very pretty. It's just that I always thought it was short for Jessica."
"Yeah, I know, a lot of people do. It's just such a long and old-fashioned name. I never really felt like a Jessamyn."
"Well, I think it suits you. So, have you got a smile on your pretty face now?"
"I'm working on it. Do you think it would be OK if I took my laptop? I've got deadlines coming up."
"Yeah, by all means, take your laptop. My mom won't mind at all. She says that you are more than welcome and she and my sisters are looking forward to having you stay with them."
"Chris, thank you so much for arranging for me to go there. I will feel safe being with your family. When will you guys be back home?"
"Well, I don't know for sure (I can never remember my schedule, you should know that), but I'm pretty sure its sometime in the next two weeks."
"That's good. I'll be glad to see you all again."
"I'll be glad to see you too. I want to know that you are safe. Besides, I'm dying for one of those killer smiles you give."
She laughed, not quite sure what other reaction to give. Was Chris flirting with her? Nah, that was impossible. He was just trying to make her feel better.
Lance tapped Chris on the shoulder. Chris passed the phone to him.
"Hey, Jess, the security guys have just pulled up in front of your house. Do you see them?"
"Yeah, Lance, I see them. I guess I have to go now, don't I?"
"Yeah. You go with them. They're going to keep in touch with us and let us know when you've safely reached Chris's place. OK?"
"OK. Tell all the guys thank you. I love you all."
"We all love you too. Now get going, Girl."
Chapter 2 by PopDiva
Jess's transfer from her house to Chris's family's house went smoothly. All of the turmoil of the day and its emotions had drained Jess out, so after dinner, Chris's mom sent her up to bed. The room she was given was the one that Chris used on those rare occasions when he was actually home. She felt very comfortable there and fell asleep with the scent of Chris all around her.
Jess slept soundly. She woke only when Chris's youngest sister Taylor shook her shoulder the next morning.
"Jess. Wake up, Jess. Phone's for you."
"Thanks, Tay." Jess stretched and coughed, hoping to make her voice sound more awake than she was. "Hello?"
"Good morning, Jessamyn!"
"Ugh! Chris! How can you sound so chipper in the morning? And don't call me that!"
"I'm always chipper, you know that! And why can't I call you Jessamyn? It's your name and I like it."
Jess sighed. She knew there was no way she was going to win this one. "So, what's up, Chris?" She could tell he was up to something just by the mischievous sound of his voice.
"Nothin'. Just wanted to see how you were doing."
"Uh-huh. Sure Chris. I know you better than that, boy."
"Yeah, maybe you do. OK. I'm actually calling to let you know we'll be in town tonight. We're picking you up and taking you out tonight. How does that sound?"
"Sounds suspicious. Last night you said you wouldn't be home for two weeks."
"Yeah, well, I told you I'm no good with my schedule. Actually, we worked in a few changes. Hey, let me pass you to Lance. He'll give you the details. Be sure to save me a dance tonight."
"Hey Babe!"
"Hi, Lance. What are you guys up to now?"
"Well, today's a travel day. We had a couple days between concerts and decided to fly home to be with you. We'll fly out in time for our next show. Chris told you we're taking you out tonight, right?"
"Yep, but that's all he told me."
"Well, tonight, it's all about you, OK? We're going to go out and just have fun. Tomorrow we've got a press conference about you."
"You're kidding, right? Please. I am so not newsworthy."
"Jess, like it or not, you're news. It's going to be a simple conference. We're just going to tell the media that we stand by our decision to cast you in the role as JC's girlfriend in the video. Then, if you'd like, you can address the media as well. After that, we're on our way out of town, but Oprah wants to have us on the show. She wants to fly you out for the taping and interview us on satellite."
Jess cracked up. "Lance, you are so funny! You totally had me up until you mentioned Oprah!"
"Jess, I'm not joking. Here talk to JC. See if you'll believe him."
JC confirmed what Lance had told Jess. She couldn't believe it. "But, Josh, why would Oprah want to talk to me about this?"
"Why not? You said yesterday that you wanted people to realize that the moulds society shows us are unrealistic. Here's your chance, Babygirl."
She sighed. "You're right, Josh. I'll do it. Thanks for being such a supportive friend, Josh. You know I love you, right?"
"Of course! And I love you too. You know how proud I was to have you play my girl in the video, right? I mean, even if you won't date me in real life, it was nice to pretend for a bit."
"Josh, you're such a dork!"
"Yeah, I know. And I know you are interested in someone else."
"If you dare say anything to him, I'll have you kneecapped. Don't think I won't."
"I know you all too well, honey, don't worry about that happening."

The guys arrived back at home in time to get ready to go out for the evening.
Chris knocked softly on his bedroom door. When he didn't get a response, he opened the door a crack and peeked in. He saw Jess laying on his bed, wearing one of his favourite sweatshirts. Determined not to disturb her rest, he quietly entered the room and went over to the closet to find the clothes he wanted to wear that evening. He gathered everything he needed and paused by the end of the bed. He looked down at Jess sleeping so peacefully. He couldn't resist the urge to sit down beside her and brush her hair off her face. Jess stirred slightly and opened her eyes.
She looked straight into Chris's brown eyes and smiled. She sat up and hugged him. "Hey, when did you get here?"
He squeezed her and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "We got in an hour or so ago. I just got home though."
Jess looked over at the bedside clock. "Yikes! I'd better get a move on if I want to be ready to go out with you guys."
"You have some more time, why don't you catch a few more minutes of rest? I'll wake you on my way by from the bathroom."
She looked at him accusingly. "What do you mean on your way from the bathroom? This is your room. The bathroom is in here. I'm not kicking you out of your room on one of the few days you're actually home to use it. Go ahead and use your own shower."
"OK. I'll grab a quick shower and wake you up when I'm done. Go back to sleep."
"You don't have to tell me twice," she replied as she rolled onto her side and snuggled down into his pillow.

Jess woke up to the feeling of water dripping on her face. Chris was shaking his wet hair over top of her.
"Time to get up, Sunshine!" he greeted her.
Jess grabbed the pillow from underneath her and swung it at him. Chris caught the pillow and pulled. Jess was too stubborn to let go, so he pulled her up to a sitting position. That's when Jess noticed that Chris was only wearing a towel.
"Chris!" she cried as she covered her eyes.
"What?" he asked innocently.
"You're not wearing any clothes!"
He smirked, "Yeah, so? Wait, are you blushing?"
"No!" she blurted, trying to hide her face in a pillow.
"You are too blushing! You're just too cute! It's not like you haven't seen me like this when you've been on tour with us." He laughed.
"Yeah, but that's totally different. When you guys are all walking around in towels, it's not like I'm the only one there. You know what? Just put something on, OK?"
"OK, don't worry. I'll be fully dressed and out of here when you get out of the shower."
"Good," she stated. Jess tried to avoid looking at Chris as she collected the items she needed for her shower and the clothes she wanted to wear. By the time she finished her shower and got dressed, Chris was indeed gone. She spent a bit of time doing her hair and make up. She liked to look good when she went out with the guys.
Jess did a spin in front of the mirror before going downstairs. She took in her long brown hair that was pulled up into a French twist with a few tendrils strategically placed around her face, her dark red sleeveless shirt and black Capris. She nodded confidently at her reflection, popped in some sparkly, dangly earrings and grabbed her strappy heels before heading out the door.
She heard Chris downstairs talking with his mom and sisters. She found them in the family room. Chris stood as soon as she came in the room.
"Wow! You look fantastic!"
She felt herself blush for the second time that day, "um, thanks."
"Ready to go?" he asked, extending his hand to her.
Jess placed her hand in his and nodded. They walked together to his car. He opened the passenger door for her and kissed her forehead before she slipped into the seat. Jess swallowed hard. She was getting some definite vibes from Chris here. He was making her nervous.
Chris got in and started the car.
"So, where are we going?" she asked him.
"We're meeting the guys at the usual place for dinner, and then we're hitting some new club for some dancing."
She laughed, "What, you five don't get enough dancing on the road?"
"Well, sure, we dance on the road, but rarely with pretty girls."
"Oh. That explains it all. You guys are taking me out so you can pick up chicks. I see how it's going to be," she teased.
"Yeah, well, you're a babe-magnet. That's why we all hang around with you." Chris looked impishly at her out of the corner of his eye.
"Well, you know me, I'm happy to help you five out." She grinned back.
They drove on in silence for a few minutes, but it was a comfortable silence.
"You know, Chris, this is weird. Usually I go everywhere with JC. It's a nice change to be going somewhere with you."
He smiled at her. "Well, get used to it." He reached across and squeezed her hand. "JC's not your only friend, you know."
"Yeah, I know." She smiled at him.
Chris parked the car and ran around to get Jess's door. He offered his elbow to her and led her in to the restaurant. The other guys were all ready at the table. They all swarmed Jess as she approached the table. She laughed as she was wrapped in four different sets of arms, one after the other.
After all of the guys had been hugged, they sat down. Chris held out Jess's chair for her and took the seat next to her. She was enjoying the attention he was giving her, but it felt a little surreal.
They placed their orders and while they were waiting, they talked about anything and everything except for the whole thing about Jess being in their video. They were seated in a back corner of the restaurant, but a few fans still found them back there. Even with security, it wasn't always possible for the guys to be out and just be themselves. Not that they minded signing a few autographs, they just wanted to enjoy the evening with their friend.
Throughout the meal, JC kept Jess's wine glass full. She didn't normally drink a lot, but she wasn't paying attention to her glass. She was on her third glass when Chris reached over and put his hand on top of hers.
"Jess, give me that." He leaned across her. "Chasez, knock it off. Do you want the girl to have a hangover tomorrow?"
JC was snickering.
Jess's jaw dropped. She turned quickly to look at the culprit. "Josh! You brat! How many times have you filled that on me?" She elbowed him and pulled her seat closer to Chris's.
"Aww, Jessie," JC whined. "I'm just funning you. I wouldn't have let you get too drunk."
Jess stuck her tongue out at him.
"Hey, Babygirl, don't stick that out unless you intend to use it," JC grinned at her.
Jess looked at Chris. "Would you excuse me for a minute?" Chris nodded. She got out of her chair and stepped behind JC. She smacked the back of his head and sat back down.
Joey, Lance, Justin and Chris were laughing hysterically.
"Ow!" JC rubbed the back of his head. "Man! I forgot how good you were at that."
"Well, see that you remember it." She told him.
The rest of their meal was without incident. They paid their cheque and went out to the cars. Chris again offered his arm to Jess. She liked how he was treating her. He opened her car door and went around to drive. JC hopped in the back seat.
"Hey Chris, can I come with you two? I came with Justin, but he's going to pick up a couple of people on the way to the club."
Chris rolled his eyes, "Sure, Jace, hop in." He said sarcastically.
They drove to the club. JC talked the whole way. Jess and Chris stole looks at each other when they thought the other wasn't looking.
When they got to the club, JC hopped out of the backseat and opened Jess's door. He offered his arm to her. Chris glared at him. When they got to the driver's side of the car, Jess reached out for Chris's arm too. It was a huge boost to her ego to be going into the club with both of these handsome men on her arms. Eat your hearts out, ladies!
They found the other guys already on the dance floor. As she walked by him, Joey reached out and wrapped an arm around Jess's waist. He pulled her onto the dance floor.
"Hey, Sugar! Dance with me." He held her close, putting his hands on her hips and she tried to keep up with his crazy moves. Josh and Chris stood there for a minute, not sure where their companion had gone to before they spotted her on the dance floor. They shook their heads and headed over to the bar.
Joey passed Jess to Lance just in time for a slow song. Jess liked dancing with the tall man. It was so comforting to be in his arms. Even though he was so much younger than her, he always made her feel safe.
Another slow song came on and JC cut in.
"Hi honey," he said. "You're not still mad about the restaurant, are you?"
She shook her head. "No, Josh. You know I'm not mad at you."
"Are you having fun?"
"Yeah, I love dancing with you guys, but I hate all the looks I'm getting."
"What do you mean?"
"There are so many girls looking daggers at me right now."
"Really? Where? Think you can help me get their numbers?"
"No! I've told you before, I'm not your pimp, besides, I think they're some of your ‘fans' who didn't like the video."
"Oh, those looks," he looked around the room. "Yeah, OK. I see them. Just stick tight with one of us at all times. One of the security guys is here for you, but it doesn't hurt to be extra careful."
When the song ended, JC escorted her back to the table and went off in search of one of the many pretty girls who had been giving him the eye earlier.
Jess flopped down into a chair beside Chris.
"You look tired, Sweetie," Chris commented as he put his arm around her shoulder.
"I am," she yawned. "It's been a crazy couple of days, you know?" She leaned into him and put her head on his shoulder.
"Yeah, I know." He rubbed his hand up and down her arm. "It'll get better."
"Sure it will, Kirkpatrick," she mumbled.
"Hey, Chris, you gonna share her?" Justin called as he approached the table.
"Do I have to? I was enjoying having her to myself for a change." Chris smiled down at her and pulled her closer to him. The look in his eyes made her insides melt. She could have stayed lost in those chocolate brown depths for the rest of the night.
"Yeah, you have to. She owes me a dance, and Lance some shots."
Justin took her hand and pulled her to her feet. Jess sighed, and allowed him to lead her away. She turned back to Chris, "Hey, you're not getting out of this, Chris. You owe me a dance too!"
Justin led her over to the bar where Lance had shots set out for them. Jess eyed the selection warily.
"Lance, I'll do a couple shots with you, but that is it. If I have to be at a press conference with you guys tomorrow, I don't want to be hung over."
"But, Jess," Lance crooned. "That's half the fun of giving press conferences." Then he laughed. "OK, I'm just kidding. We'll just do a couple then. Next time, we'll work on getting you sloshed." He handed her a drink.
"Gee, Lance, you're a pal."
The three of them clinked their glasses and downed the drinks. Justin took Jess's empty glass and put it on the bar with his.
"Come dance with me."
"Justin, look at all these girls wanting to dance with you. Why not grab one of them instead?"
"Well, my sweet friend, first of all, I want to dance with you, ‘cause you really know how to move, and second of all, with you, I can be myself and just totally wig out if I want. They wouldn't get it."
They grooved on the dance floor for a couple of songs. Lance came over with their second shots. Once those were downed, Jess excused herself to go "freshen up". As she entered the ladies' room, she heard some muttering. Jess shrugged, did what she had to do and left. As she was walking by a group of girls, one of them jostled her roughly. "Bitch," she heard her mumble under her breath. Jess continued as if nothing had happened. She didn't want any scenes, especially in the bathroom.
When she emerged from the restrooms, she surveyed the club, looking for her friends. She saw a gaggle of women and figured the guys were somewhere in their midst.
One of the security team members, Bryan, fell into step behind her as she headed for the table. She sat down so that she could watch the guys dancing. Seeing how much fun they were having just hanging out made her smile. As she was watching them, Jess felt the entire atmosphere of the room change. Looking over her shoulder, she knew that something was going to go down any minute now. When she saw the number of people looking towards her, she realized the atmospheric change was centred on her. Bryan moved closer. She could now see him in her peripheral vision. She saw Bryan speak into his radio as a group of girls, some who had been in the bathroom, swarmed the table. The ringleader reached out and shoved Jess. Before Jess even knew what happened, Bryan stepped in. He reached down and picked her up in a fireman's carry. Back-up came, and Bryan took off running behind the bar and through the kitchen. Jess watched two other security team members block their getaway. Two more were rounding up the guys and herding them out the front door.
When Bryan and Jess arrived safely at the rear door, he placed her on her feet. "Are you OK, Miss C?" He looked at her with concern in his eyes.
"Yeah, I um, I think so." She felt a little shaky and was glad of his hand on her back.
Bryan listened to his earpiece and then spoke in his radio. "Chris is coming around back to pick you up. Once he's got you, I'll follow behind and make sure you get home safely."
She nodded. "Thanks, Bryan."
She heard Chris's car racing around the back of the building. As soon as he saw Jess and Bryan, Chris slammed on the brakes and jumped out.
"Jess! Are you OK?" He wrapped his arms around her and held her tight.
She inhaled deeply, savouring the scent of his aftershave or deodorant or whatever it was that made him smell so darn good. "Yeah, Chris. I...I'm fine."
She felt his breath hot on her forehead. His lips pressed against her hair. "You're shaking, babe. Come on, let's get you into the car." He was very attentive as he opened the door and helped her into her seat. He shook Bryan's hand and then got behind the wheel.
They drove in silence. Jess was too shaken up to talk. In all her time touring with the guys and hanging out with them, nothing like this had happened to her. She was still contemplating the events of the evening when they pulled up at his house. Jess snapped out of her reverie.
"Oh. We're here." She sounded surprised.
"Yeah, we are." Chris responded in a monotone. He got out of the car and went around to her side. She already had the door open and he helped her up. She was surprised when he pulled her into his arms again. He held her closely to him, pressing her face to his chest. When his cell phone rang, both of them were startled.
"Dang," he mumbled as he reached into his pocket for the phone. He kept one arm around Jess. "Yeah," he said tersely.
"Yeah, she's fine. She's a little bit shaken, but not hurt at all. Yeah, just a sec." Chris held the phone towards her. "It's JC. He wants to talk to you."
She shook her head.
Chris sighed and took the phone back. "Look, Jace, she doesn't want to talk right now. No, I swear, she's fine. She's just tired, it's been a long couple of days. Yes, I promise that if anything happens, I'll call you. Yes. I'll tell her that. OK, see you then. Bye."
"Thanks," she whispered.
"No problem. Jace said to tell you he loves you, and I'm supposed to give you a hug too," he gave her a squeeze. "The guys are going to come over here in the morning to discuss our plan with the media, and then we'll all go to the press conference together. Sound good?"
"Yeah," she nodded and offered him a smile. "It sounds fine."
"Ready to head in?"
She thought about it for a minute, "I really don't want to go in yet; I'd much rather sit out on the deck for a while."
"OK. Would you like to be alone, or would you like some company?"
"If the company is you, then I'll take that," she smiled.
"Great." Chris grinned. "Want a hot chocolate?"
"Sure. You got marshmallows?"
"You betcha! One hot chocolate with marshmallows coming up. Why don't you go ahead to the deck? I'll be right out."
Jess found her favourite spot in a porch swing on the deck. She kicked off her shoes and pulled her feet up on the seat. Sitting back, she took a deep breath and looked up at the stars. It was so beautiful here. The swing rocked gently in the breeze. Jess drank in the quiet stillness of the evening with a smile on her face.
Chris came out a couple of minutes later. He could tell that Jess was lost in her own little world. He put down the tray he was using to carry the mugs of hot chocolate on a small table. Leaning over Jess, he spread a blanket over her.
She leaned her head back farther and looked up at him. "Hey."
"Hey. Thought you might be getting a little cold."
"Yeah, I was. Thanks."
"No problem." He picked up the two mugs and handed one to her, then he settled himself on the swing beside her.
Jess held her drink in both her hands, letting it warm her fingers, and hoping that it would take away the cold feeling she had ever since she'd been rushed out of the club. It was the feeling that her life had changed irrevocably and that she was no longer in control of it. Things beyond her reach were shaping her future, and she didn't like it one bit. She sipped her drink slowly and didn't say anything at all.
Chris watched Jess, knowing from experience what she was going through.
"Hey," he reached across and put his hand under her chin. He turned her face so he could see her. "You're going to be OK."
She didn't believe him, but she smiled at him anyway. "Sure."
"No, Jess, I mean it. You will be OK. You're a really strong woman. This isn't going to hold you back at all."
She lowered her eyes and didn't respond.
"Jess, do you remember what it was like for JC when this whole NSYNC thing took off?"
She nodded. "Yeah, Josh said his life was out of control and he didn't think he'd survive."
"And what did you tell him?" Chris prodded.
She sighed. "I told him that he had to play the cards he was dealt and that he shouldn't complain because it was what he wanted anyway."
"And?"
"And I told him I was really proud of him for accomplishing his dreams and that I believed in him and I knew he would be great." She looked up at Chris, "How did you know what I told Josh? Did he tell you about it?"
"Not exactly, but I figured he would have talked to you about it. I was going on what my friends had told me. Jess, I know that being a role model wasn't one of your dreams, but you do have to play the cards that are dealt to you. You have an amazing opportunity here. It may not seem like it now, but it is! I believe in you, you know that, don't you? We were all happy with JC's choice for the video. I was really happy because it meant that I'd get to see you. I love hanging out with you. You're such a neat person. Not only are you incredibly beautiful, you're fun, and you really care about your friends. Jessamyn, I know you can play the cards that were dealt to you. I believe in you."
She smiled at him. "Thanks, Chris."
He squeezed her hand. "No problem. Anytime you doubt yourself, call me and I'll give you a pep talk, OK?"
"OK." She replied.
They sat quietly for a few minutes. Jess started to zone out. She started when she felt Chris's fingers in her hair. "What are you doing?"
"Trying to get your hair out of this twist thingy," he muttered.
"Why?"
"'Cause I want to play with your hair, and I can't when it's pinned up."
Well, that sounded perfectly logical in a goofy sort of way. She let him continue, and she rested her head on his shoulder. She felt her hair coming loose, and laughed when Chris shook it out.
"Geez, girl! Your hair is long! I never realized how long it was until now. OK, now put your head on my lap," Chris demanded.
"What?"
"Put your head on my lap. I know you're tired, just relax for a bit." He patted the pillow that lay on his leg.
"OK," she replied, leaning her head onto the pillow. She curled herself into a ball on the swing. He pulled the blanket up around her and started to run his fingers through her hair, beginning from her forehead. He heard her sigh.
"Feel good?" She nodded. "I thought it might. I know when my hair was long, I loved when someone would play with it. It's so soothing."
Jess gave him a small smile. "Thanks, Chris," she muttered as she let her eyes close and tried to clear her mind of everything. She was so relaxed that she hardly heard Chris's cell phone ring.
Chris groaned, and answered it. "Yes, JC. What would you like? Fine, if you really must see her, come on over. What do you mean you're in the driveway? Look, come around to the back deck, just do it quietly. I've almost got her asleep. Bye."
Jess heard Chris's conversation, but didn't really tune in to it. She really didn't care right then.
JC came into the yard. "Hey, Chris," he whispered, "How's my girl?" He reached out hesitatingly to stroke her cheek.
"She's OK. Just like I told you." Chris sounded irritated.
"I'm sorry, Chris, it's not that I doubted you, man. I just feel so responsible for what happened. I never thought there'd be this kind of crazy reaction. I'm so sorry that I ever put her in such a position. Do you think she'll forgive me?"
Chris felt Jess start to stir. "Hold on a sec, let me put her to bed first and then we'll talk."
Jess felt herself being picked up. "Chris, I'm too heavy," she mumbled.
"Go back to sleep," he replied. He smiled when he felt her snuggle her head into his shoulder. He carried her upstairs and gently laid her on the bed. He pulled the covers over her.
She opened her eyes. "Don't go!"
"I've got to talk to JC, but if you want, I'll come back here for the night."
"Please. Don't want to be alone."
"OK, then, I'll be back as soon as I can." He ran his fingers through her hair one last time and left the room.
Chapter 3 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
Just a short chapter.  :)
    JC was pacing the length of the deck when Chris returned.  Chris decided to dive right in.  They were both too tired to spend time beating around the bush.
    "Jace, I know for a fact Jess is not mad at you.  You know she loved doing that video with us.  She's strong, she's going to come through this just fine."
    "How do you know, Chris?  How do you know she'll be fine?"
    "JC, how long have you known Jess?"
    "I don't know, twelve, maybe thirteen years?"
    "And in all that time, haven't you learned that she's strong?  Haven't you seen her go through a lot of challenges?  Hasn't she always been there for you to lean on when you needed her?"
    "Yeah, she's been one of my closest friends, one person I knew I could count on."  JC stopped and took a breath.  He got a determined look on his face.  "You're right, she is strong.  She's my tough girl and she's gonna be OK."
    "Yeah, she will.  Now it's your turn to let her lean on you.  You get to support her and be the one believing in her.  You catch her when she falls and lend her your strength.  That's what being friends is all about."
    JC looked gravely at Chris, understanding dawning on his face.  "I don't believe it," he said.  "You've gone and fallen in love with her."
    Chris smiled sheepishly at him, "How could I help it?"
    "Does she know?"  JC turned into the overprotective big brother in a split second.
    "I haven't told her, if that's what you're asking.  She's got a lot on her plate right now, and I don't want to overwhelm her.  I plan on taking things nice and slow."
    "Slow is good.  Slow is very good."  JC paused and shook his head.  "Great, one of my best friends is in love with one of my other best friends.  I just know I'm going to be caught in the middle somehow."  
    Chris yawned.  "Look, JC, Jess didn't want me to leave her alone tonight.  Why don't you come and crash with us?  You can have the second bed, I'll sleep on an air mattress on the floor."
    JC thought about it for a minute.  "OK, sure."
    The two men collected up the mugs, tray and Jess's shoes and headed into the house.  
    When they were just outside of Chris's room, they heard Jess moaning in her sleep.  They rushed in, and saw her thrashing on the bed.  Chris sat down beside her and ducked her swinging hands.  He grasped one of her hands in his and stroked her fingers, he whispering softly in her ear.  "Shh, honey, it's just a dream.  You're not alone.  JC and I won't let anything happen to you."
She quieted down, and Chris released her fingers.  As he got off the bed, she squirmed.   "No, don't go."  Her voice was pleading.
    Chris looked at JC and shrugged his shoulders, waiting for the younger man's approval.  
    JC sighed.  "You'd best plan on sleeping on top of the sheets, my man."  Again his overprotective side came out.    "She needs you, just don't hurt her, OK?"
    Chris nodded, stripped down to his T shirt and boxers and crawled into bed with Jess.  He paused to show JC that he was indeed on top of the sheets, and then pulled the blankets around himself and Jess.  
    JC got himself ready for bed and turned in.  He fell asleep fairly quickly.  Chris on the other hand took longer to fall asleep.  When he had gotten into bed, Jess had curled up into him.  Her head was on his shoulder.  He absently ran his fingers through her hair and listened to her steady breathing.  He turned his head slightly so that he could place a kiss on her forehead, then he closed his eyes.

End Notes:
  
Chapter 4 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
I have no idea how a real press conference would work, so please just remember this is fictional.  ;)
    The sun was starting to stream through the window when Jess woke up.  She immediately knew she was not alone, and she took a moment to gather her thoughts.  She didn't think she was hung over.  Her brain was too clear for that.  She quickly patted her body, checking to see if she was clothed.  Thankfully, she was.  She felt the body beside her stir and decided it might be a good idea to find out who was with her.  She slowly opened one eye, and saw Chris's face a couple of inches from her own.   
    "Good morning, Sunshine," he smiled.
    She jumped.  OK, so at least she wasn't waking up with a stranger, but that didn't explain why they were sharing a bed.
    "Jess?  Are you OK?"
    "Um, yeah," she stalled.  "Uh, Chris, why are we...why are we, um together?"
    Chris leaned up on one elbow and grinned down at her.  "Don't worry, nothing happened.  I planned on sleeping in the other bed," he motioned with his head to the bed where JC was sleeping soundly, "But when JC and I came up here, you were having a bad dream.  You asked me to stay with you, so I did.  Don't worry, I'm on top of the sheets," he smiled.
    She shook her head and smiled at him.  "Oh Chris, you're just too funny some days."  She sat up and stretched, "I know you are a gentleman.  I trust you."
    "Good," he said.  "Hey, wanna have some fun with JC?  I'm thinking shaving cream in his hand.  What do you think?"
    Jess thought about it for a minute.  "Surely we can come up with something more diabolical than shaving cream if we put our heads together."
    The two of them were talking in conspiratorial tones and enjoying a good laugh over some of the ideas they had come up with until JC startled them.  "Hey you two, those sound like some good pranks.  Why don't you let me know how they work?"  He asked.  The next thing Chris and Jess knew, JC launched himself into the air and landed with a thud on the bed in between them.  From there, all plans went out the window and it was every man and woman for themselves as an all out tickle war took place.  
    The tickle fight didn't last long, and when it was done, all three of them flopped down on the bed.  Jess was flat on her stomach between the two guys.
    "Hey, Jace, you hungry?"  Chris asked.
    JC thought about it.  "Hmm...Now that you mention it, I could really go for a-"
 "SANDWICH!"  JC and Chris both yelled they squished Jess between them.
    "Hey!  No fair!"  Jess could barely be heard.  "You'd better get off me, I have to pee!"
    JC and Chris quickly moved aside and Jess jumped out of the bed and ran for the bathroom.  The two men didn't notice that Jess only went far enough to retrieve her camera.
    CLICK!
    "Ha, ha!  Can't wait to post that one on the boards!  JC and Chris in bed together.  What a story that will make!"  She laughed and then quickly turned on her heel and ran.
    JC and Chris were fast, so Jess sprinted out the door and down the hall.  She heard Joey and Lance talking downstairs and made a run for them.
    "Joey!" she exclaimed as she launched herself into his arms.  "So good to see you.  How are you today?"
    "Umph!"  Joey grunted as Jess slammed into him.  "Oh no, Girl, I'm not protecting you from those two."
    "Come on, Joe, photographic evidence of them in the same bed in their underwear.  I'll let you split the blackmail money."  She flashed her best smile at him.
    Joey pretended to think about it and looked at JC and Chris.  
    "Hey!"  JC said, "It's not like we slept that way.  We were only together cause Jess got out of bed."
    Lance laughed, "Jace, you're not making this sound any better, although it does sound interesting.  Got any pictures of the three of you in bed?"
    Chris put his arm around Jess as if he was going to hug her, then he pulled her head under his arm and gave her a nuggie.  She couldn't get free, so she reached behind him and gave his shorts a hard tug upwards.  "Wedgie!"  Chris jumped and let her go.  
    "What do you say, shall we call a truce?" he asked her as he pulled his underwear out of his backside.
    "If I have to," she groaned and rolled her eyes.  "You know I was totally winning this one."
    "Sure you were.  You just keep thinking that," he patted her head condescendingly.
    "So, Jess, I'll bet there's a great an explanation for the fact that you are wearing the same clothes as last night, huh?"  Lance asked with a twinkle in his eye.
    "Sorry, Lancie, gotta wait until you're older."  She patted his cheek.
    Lance wrapped his arms around Jess's waist and was about to throw her over his shoulder when Justin entered.  He looked at them, shook his head, and mumbled, "I don't even want to know."
    "Aw, it's nothing, Justin.  Jess didn't want to give Lance details about how she spent the night with Chris," JC threw the comment out there.  She shot him an evil look.
    "Not just Chris," Jess smirked.  "You were there too!"
    "OK, now I definitely don't want to know."
    Lance put Jess down and went with Joey and Justin to the kitchen.  The other three went upstairs to get dressed.  
    When Chris came out of the bathroom (fully dressed this time), Jess was sitting on the bed, combing through her wet hair and reading something on her laptop.
    "Hey," Chris said, "Can I help?"  
    "With the combing or the reading?"  She asked.
    "Either?  Both?  You know I love long hair.  Whatcha reading?"
    "Sure, you can help if you want," she handed him the comb.  "I'm just taking a look at my notes for the press conference.  I want to make sure I say it all and say it the right way."
    "Makes sense," he said as he pulled the comb gently through her thick hair.  "Let me read over your shoulder."
    JC looked in from the doorway to see Chris sitting on the bed beside Jess, combing her hair and resting his chin on her shoulder.  Hadn't Chris said he was going to move slow?  "Hey you two, are you coming down?"
    "Yeah," Chris got up and headed for the door.
    "Yeah, Josh, be right there," Jess replied woodenly as she typed on her keyboard.  "Just got to fix a couple things here."
    JC stopped Chris.  He motioned towards Jess and smiled, "Jess, Donnie Wahlberg is downstairs asking about you!"
    She looked up.  "What?"
    JC burst out laughing.  "Sorry, couldn't resist.  I knew you weren't hearing me.  Come on down, have some breakfast, and we'll all help you with your notes."
    Chris chuckled as he went downstairs.
    "Very funny, Joshua.  Look, I'm almost finished, really."  She turned back to her work.
    JC came over and knelt in front of her on the floor.  He closed the laptop.  "Jess, I know you better than that.  Leave it for a few minutes."
    "Josh!  I was almost done!"  She met his eyes.  "OK, so maybe you're right.  I'm stalling.  I'm not ready for this.  I can't do it."  She looked away and tried to hide the errant tear that was making an appearance.
    "Jess, look at me."  Josh held her face in one hand and wiped the tear away with the other.  "Jess, you know that I love you, right?"
    She nodded.
    "And you know that I won't let you go through this by yourself, right?"
    She nodded again.
    "I'll be by your side for this whole press conference.  You are not going to be alone.  We will all be there with you.  I know you can do it.  The guys know you can do it.  If we didn't think so, we wouldn't have asked you to be a part of this.  You're going to be great!"
    Jess tried to stop the tears that were now following the first one.  "Josh, you don't get it.  I'll be there, standing in front of those people, and they won't be listening to what I say.  They're going to be looking at me, finding fault with everything.  They'll be picking apart what I wear and how I look and what size I am, and everything I say will be irrelevant.  It's going to be like high school all over again.  I'm going to be the awkward wallflower, and it will just prove them all right."
    "Oh, honey!"  JC drew her to him and held her while she cried.  He sat there rubbing her back, trying to think of some way to comfort her.  He was at a loss.  In his head was a running commentary of responses to give her, none of which was quite right. Jess had a rough time in high school; she felt like a fish out of water.  There had been a guy who picked on her mercilessly and made her daily life torture.   
    "Jess, you've come a long way since high school.  You've gotten such a self confidence.  Don't let these people push you back there."  He didn't know what else to say, so he just held her tighter.
    Joey wandered into the room.  "Hey, what's up?"
    JC looked up at him.  "We're having second thoughts about the press conference."
    "Oh.  I see."  Joey squatted beside Jess and put his hand on her arm.  "Hey, Bella."  She looked up, sniffling.  "Don't do this to yourself.  You don't have to come to the press conference if you don't want to.  It's totally your call.  None of us expected all this to happen, and it's pretty overwhelming.  We're in the public eye and find it difficult, so I can only imagine how much more difficult it is for you."
    She smiled at Joey, through her tears.  "Thanks, Joe."  She took a deep breath.  "I think though that this is something I need to do.  You're both right.  It's going to be really hard, but I can do it, especially with the two of you there with me."
    Joey pulled her to her feet and wrapped her in a hug.  JC got up and hugged her from behind.  "Hey, how come I keep getting sandwiched between two members of NSYNC?"  she mumbled.
    "Just a lucky girl, I guess," JC giggled.

    The three of them made their way downstairs and joined in the mayhem in the kitchen.  Food was flying around the room fast as the guys cooked and passed out the plates.  Jess received a plate that was laden down with eggs, bacon, pancakes and toast.  A glass of orange juice and a coffee appeared in front of her as if by magic.  She looked down at the plate, knowing she could never eat it all.
    "Come on, Jess, you need to have a good breakfast so that you can get through the day!"  Justin chimed at her.
    "A good breakfast, sure, but this is more like an NSYNC size breakfast.  Here, one of you eat it," she passed her plate to her left.  "I'll find something a little less artery-clogging if you don't mind."
    Joey gladly took her plate, and Jess got up to find a banana and the peanut butter.  
    "What on earth are you making?"  Justin asked.
    "Peanut butter and banana sandwich.  Why?"
    "No reason," he replied, curling his lip.
    "Look, twerp, it's got protein, potassium, and all sorts of good things, and besides that, I like it, so lay off!"
    "You're welcome to it."
    She stuck her tongue out at him.  
    "Huh!" he responded, "And they say I'm immature!"

    Joey intervened before Jess and Justin started to fight.  They didn't have time for that today.  After all of them had finished breakfast, they talked about their plans for the press conference.  Lance and Chris did the dishes while JC wiped off the stove and counter.  Joey read through Jess's notes and offered a few suggestions.  Before they knew it, they were ready.
    "Hey, guys, this may seem like a silly question, but what the heck do I wear for this thing?"
    All five men laughed.  
    "No need to worry, Jess.  That's why we have wardrobe consultants and people who do our hair and make-up."  Justin replied.  "You're coming with us to the office, and they'll have everything ready for you."
    "Or," Chris said, "You could wear a FuMan Skeeto shirt."
    "Um, how do I say this?"  Jess paused.  "No!"
    Chris pretended to be hurt, but he was laughing along with the group.

    An hour or so later, they were at the record company's main office.  Jess was separated from the guys and taken to get her wardrobe, hair and make-up done.  The guys checked on her periodically.
    When she was ready, she walked down the hall to their meeting room.  She stopped before she opened the door to straighten out her skirt and make sure everything was in place.  When she opened the door, all five men stopped what they were doing.
    "Wowee!  Who is this babe?"  Justin asked.  The other men were silent.
    Jess smiled and did a spin for them.  "Well?"
    JC stood up and held his arms open to her.  "You look awesome," he said as she stepped into his hug.
    They went over the last few things and checked the time.  Before they went to the press conference, their security team showed up.
    "Hey, Miss C!"  Bryan called.  "How are you doing today?"
    "Hi, Bryan, I'm fine.  Thanks for everything last night."
    "Missy?"  Justin asked.  "Missy?  That's a perfect name for her!  That's what I'm calling you from now on."
    "Great!"  Jess muttered.  "Just what I need, another nickname.  Guess I'll just call you Mr. T."
    Justin smiled and said in his best Mr. T voice, "I pity the fool!"  Jess and the others just rolled their eyes.
    "Ok," Lance said, getting down to business.  "Jess, you're going to be right in the middle of us.  JC will be on one side and Joey on your other.  Don't answer anything you don't want to.  We'll help you out if you get stuck."
    The next thing Jess knew, they were sitting at a table in front of a lot of people with cameras and notepads.  She gulped a couple of times, trying to keep her breathing steady and not to panic.  Joey squeezed her hand and poured her a glass of water.  She took the glass and tried to tune out some of the many voices she was hearing.
    "As we have stated before," JC said, "We are very disappointed with the reaction that some people have had to our casting Jess Crosby as my girlfriend in our video.  We feel that women shouldn't be judged by the size of clothing they wear and that real beauty is more than skin deep."
    "What size is she?" a reporter hollered.
    "I don't believe that is any of your business," answered Joey.
    "How much does she weigh?"
    "Who did she sleep with to get the part?"  
    Jess felt JC's grip tighten in repressed anger at that question.  She squeezed his hand gently to reassure him that she was fine.
    Lance took over.  "Please hold all questions until the end.  We would like everyone to know that we are disappointed in how our supposed fans have treated Ms Crosby.  She has been subjected to crank phone calls, harassment and threats of violence.  We would like to ask our fans that they stop this behaviour.  Jess is one of our best friends, and it hurts us to see people hurting her in this manner."
    Lance looked over at Jess.  "Would you like to add anything?"
    Jess nodded.  "Yes.  Thank you, Lance."  She looked down at the notes in front of her.  Josh squeezed her hand and Joey put his hand on her other shoulder.  "I would just like to ask that this be taken as an opportunity for those in the media to really stop and think about the negative body image that they are promoting to young women.  There is nothing wrong with my size.  I am within the normal range for my height and bone structure.  I am healthy.  You have been fuelling the discussion that has been carried on in the chat rooms, but have you stopped to think about the negative impact this may have on younger women?  If as a normal sized woman I am being depicted as being ‘fat', ‘overweight', ‘nasty' or any of the other terms that have been flying around, what about other normal girls?  I have been subjected to ridicule and shame due to my body for most of my life.  Well, my body shape, weight, height or any other characteristics are not me.  They are parts of me, but not the whole.  I am a woman, and I am proud of what I have accomplished and of who I am.  Rather than slam NSC for their choice in the video, I think they should be praised as being forward thinking and inclusive.  Thank you."
    Jess was ready to bolt and hide off stage.  She didn't get the chance.  Cameras flashed and questions were shouted at her.  She was overwhelmed and sinking fast.  JC stood and took her with him.  They met up with Bryan at the end of the stage and the two men shielded her from view between them.  The rest of the guys continued the press conference after some order was restored.  They answered as many questions as they could, and then ended the session.
    When they were finished, they found JC sitting on a couch with Jess curled into him, asleep.  
    "Hey guys, she was spent.  How did the rest of it go?"
    "It was good," Joey answered.  "I think some of them actually listened to her and tried to understand her point of view."
    "Good," JC replied.  "She was great, wasn't she?"  He asked with obvious pride.
    "Awesome," agreed Chris.  "What do you say we get out of here?"

Chapter 5 by PopDiva
The guys flew out for their concert that night and Jess got back to a somewhat normal life. She moved back home a few days after the press conference to an apartment that had a high tech security system installed while she was away. She was starting to get herself settled in and trying to get her writing back on schedule. Things had quieted down a fair bit. Josh had wanted her to change her phone number, but as she was a freelance writer, it didn't make sense to get an unlisted number because she would just be giving a new number out to her clients. Instead, she put on call display. It gave her a bit of an edge when she could see who was calling her before she answered.
"Hey, Chris!" she answered the phone cheerily.
"Hi, Jessamyn. I'm going to have to call you on a different phone sometime, just to confuse you."
"What are you up to today?" she asked.
"The usual. We're on a bus headed somewhere. I think we have a show tonight."
"Excited about performing tonight?"
"Yeah, I guess," he sighed.
"Oh, please, Chris!" She rolled her eyes. "Try not to sound too bored. I know how much you love to perform."
"You're right, I love it. I guess I'm just a little tired and homesick today, but do I get a charge out of being on stage."
"You're homesick and you called me?" Jess was surprised.
"Yeah, is that a problem?"
"No, I just thought if you were homesick, you'd call your family."
"Nah, I felt like talking to you, not my folks. Besides, you have been on tour with us, so you understand how crazy it is and I don't have to explain it all to you and you're away from it now, so you can keep me grounded and normal. Does that make sense?"
"Surprisingly, yes," she smiled. "Although I don't think I can really be classified as normal."
"Well, I suppose that's true," he laughed, "but I won't hold that against you. So, what are you up to tonight?"
"Well, I have plans..." she started.
"Really? With who?" He hoped he didn't sound too jealous.
"Taylor. We're having a sleep over. We're going to watch chick flicks and eat popcorn and stay up all night talking."
"Taylor? My Taylor?"
"Yes, your sister Taylor. You don't mind do you? She's such a great kid, and I love hanging out with her."
"No, I don't mind at all. I think it's great that you two are hanging out. I know she really looks up to you."
"She does?"
"Yeah, whenever I talked with her when you were there, it was ‘Jess this and Jess that'. She thinks you're really neat."
"Well, the feeling is mutual. So, did you call for any specific reason? I'm not trying to brush you off, but I have to do a couple of things before I go get Taylor."
"No, I just missed you, that's all."
"Aw, Chris, that's sweet. I miss hanging out with you too. If I wasn't so busy with deadlines for the next while, I'd sneak out and join the tour."
"Well, you know, if you hadn't quit your job, you could have been with us now."
"Yeah, yeah. You know I loved working for Josh, but I really needed to get out on my own. Besides, now I'm doing what I love, just like you guys."
"Yeah, and you're doing great! What are you writing now?"
"An article about Eleanor Roosevelt and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Sounds exciting, eh?"
"Eh? There's that Canuck I know and love!"
"Oh stop. I know y'all just jealous of my cool accent."
"Ugh! Now you sound like Lance! Stop it! I give!!"
Jess just laughed. She was used to the guys teasing her about her accent. She'd lived in the States for quite a while now, but she still sounded Canadian through and through.
Chris and Jess talked for a few more minutes, and then he had to go to get ready for an interview.
Jess puttered around her apartment doing odd jobs and getting herself a little more organized. She left about an hour later to pick up Taylor. When they got back to her place, Jess got out all the fixings to make home made pizzas. She and Taylor had a blast loading up the pizzas and making crazy combinations.
They ate their pizzas and then got changed in to their pyjamas. Jess pulled out the sofa bed and they added lots of pillows so they could lounge comfortably while they watched the movies. By the time the second movie was half over, Taylor was asleep. Jess shook her head over the depravity of the modern youth and went into her own room. She figured she could surf online for a bit until she got tired.
As soon as she logged in to her instant messenger, she had a message from Chris.
"Hey! I thought you had plans tonight!"
"Yeah, I did. Tay crashed, so here I am."
"Cool. Hey, wanna talk?"
"What are we doing now?"
"I mean really talk. Hold on. Answer the phone."

Sure enough, the phone beside her on the desk rang.
"Hi Chris." She laughed.
"Hey, Jessamyn," she could hear the smile in his voice.
"What are you so happy about?"
"I'm talking to you, what else?"
"You know you're a nut, right? We already talked today."
"Fine, you don't want to talk to me, I'll just go find someone who does." He tried to sound sad and pathetic, but it just made her laugh more.
"Oh, Chris," she laughed. "Don't go. You know I like talking to you."
"You do?" His voice lit up again.
"Of course I do!"
"Good, ‘cause I love talking to you." His voice changed a bit then. She couldn't pin point the emotion that was coming across, but it was there. She paused, not knowing how to reply. Chris cleared his throat. "Look, Jess, there's something I need to ask you."
"Um, OK." She wasn't sure where this was going.
"Jess? Come on, it's nothing bad, really."
"If it's not bad, why do you sound like you're afraid to ask me?"
"How do you do that?"
"Do what?"
"How do you read me like that? I am nervous, well, a little bit."
"OK, Chris, now you're making me nervous. Just get to the point, OK?"
She heard him take a deep breath. "OK, here goes. Jess, next time we're in the same town at the same time..." He drifted off.
"Chris?"
"Next time we're in the same town, will you go out with me?"
"That's what you were so worried about? Please, Chris, you know that you don't have to ask me to hang out with you. I love hanging out with you." She felt relieved.
"Jess, Babe, I don't mean hang out with me. I mean go out with me, like on a date. You know, just the two of us, maybe some romance, see where it goes?"
She didn't know what to say. She'd liked Chris for quite a while, but she never dreamed he'd ever return the feelings. Did he?
"Jess? Are you there?"
She licked her lips, trying to buy some time. "Um, yeah, I'm here. Chris?"
"Yeah."
"Did you just ask me out on a date?" She asked in disbelief.
"Yep."
"You did. Uh...why?"
"OK, Jess, this isn't going the way I pictured it. It was supposed to be me asking you on a date and you saying, ‘Gee, Chris, I'd love to!' and I'd say, ‘Great! I'm really looking forward to it!' and we'd make some more small talk, and when I finally hung up the phone, I'd do a happy dance around my room because you'd agreed to go out with me."
"I'm sorry, Chris, I just, I need to know why you asked me. Did JC say anything to you?"
"Believe it or not, Jess, I am capable of asking a woman out on my own. Look, if you don't want to, just say so, OK? I can handle it. I thought we had something developing, but if not, that's fine."
"No, Chris, that's not it! I'm sorry. It's just that you could have any woman you want, why me?"
"How about because I find you very attractive and I love being with you and I am dying to sink my fingers into your hair and pull your face to mine so that I can kiss you?"
A shiver ran down her spine and she smiled, "Really?"
"Yeah, really. I didn't think I had hidden my feelings that well from you. I thought I was pretty obvious actually."
"Um, well, I kinda thought you were acting a little differently lately, but.."
"But, you didn't want to get your hopes up, right?"
"Yeah, how did you know?"
"JC told me. He knew I was interested in you and he said that you might have a hard time letting yourself get your hopes up."
"Dang, he knows me too well."
"Yeah, he does. Wait a minute, what did you think JC had told me?"
"That's not important," she said quickly. "Why were you talking to JC about me?"
"Oh no you don't! Come on, cough it up, then I'll tell you mine."
She sighed, and tried to sound angry. "Fine. I thought JC may have told you something that I didn't want you to know."
"Hmmm...that sounds interesting. What was it?"
"Did you ever stop to think that maybe I still don't want you to know?" She laughed.
"Yep, but I'm just nosy. Hey! You never answered my question. Hang up."
"What?"
"Hang up. We're going to start this over." The phone clicked in her ear. She looked at the phone in her hand, shrugged, and disconnected from the call.
She was still looking at the phone when it rang. She jumped.
"Hello?"
"Hello, may I speak with Jessamyn please?" He was being overly polite.
"This is she."
"Jessamyn, this is Christopher Kirkpatrick."
"Hello, Christopher," she laughed, it was unusual to use his full name. "How are you this evening?"
"Why I am just great, thank you so much for asking me! Jessamyn, I would like to request the privilege of your company for a date the next time we are in the same town. Would you do me that honour?"
She smiled, "Gee, Chris, I'd love to!"
He gave up the pretence of being sophisticated. "Really? Great! I'll plan out a totally awesome date, I promise!"
"Good, I will look forward to it. When do you figure you'll be back in town?"
"Aha! I knew you were eager to go out with me! Um, let me see, where's my itinerary? OK, maybe uh, six weeks from now. I think. I'll find out for sure for you. You know I'm no good with this schedule thing. Of course, if I'm scheduling dates regularly, I'll get really good with the schedule."
She felt a blush creep up her cheeks. "OK, can we go back to a normal conversation? This is a little weird."
"What's weird, the idea that I want to go on a date with you?"
"Well, the idea that anyone would want to go on a date with me, especially you."
"OK, well that's just plain silly. I hear JC ask you out all the time."
"Yeah, well, JC just asks me out for the fun of it. He thinks it boost my ego. If I actually said ‘yes', he'd fall over in shock."
"So why is me asking you out weird?"
"I don't know, I guess, it's just that you're the only guy I would have wanted to ask me out, and you did and things like that don't normally happen for me."
Chris didn't know quite how to answer that one. He knew that Jess had a rough time growing up, but he didn't know the details. He knew there was more to what she had said than what was on the surface. The silence was becoming awkward. "So...what do you want to do on our date?"
"Well, I guess that would depend on where and when it is, but not a movie, OK?"
"No movies? Any particular reason?"
"It's just that when you watch a movie, you don't get a chance to talk to your date and I mean, what's the point? You might as well go out with all your friends then."
"Good point. I don't think I want to share you on our first date. Hmmm...think about it some more and let me know if you have any ideas, OK?"
"Sure," she had a jaw-cracking yawn.
"Am I keeping you up, sweetie?"
She giggled. "Sweetie? I like that. I'm tired, but I don't want to hang up yet."
"Good, I'm glad you like that. I'll save the better pet names until we've gone on a few dates. I don't want to hang up either. Tell me about that article you're working on, the one on Eleanor Roosevelt."
Jess was surprised he had remembered what her article was about. She described the research she was conducting and how she saw the article shaping up. She found Chris to be a good sounding board. They talked about other things for a while. Then Chris seemed distracted.
"What?" he hollered.
"Chris?"
"No, honey, not you. One of the guys is banging on my door. Hold on."
She heard him walk over to the door and open it. He put his hand over the phone. She could hear that Chris was talking to someone, but couldn't hear what he was saying.
"Hey, Jess!" It was JC.
"Josh? What's going on?"
"Just came to check on Chris. He was going to come out with us and didn't, and I wanted to make sure he was OK. I guess he got distracted by some pretty girl who has been talking to him all night, huh?"
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"Uh-huh, sure. He already told me you said yes. And I'm glad. Do you know how hard it has been for me to keep secrets from both of you?"
"Josh, thanks. You are the best friend I've ever had."
"I know, just promise not to forget all about me while Chris sweeps you off your feet, OK?"
"You know I couldn't forget you."
"Good. I'd better go. Chris has this look in his eyes that suggests if I don't give him the phone back I'm not going to be around much longer. Bye!"
"Bye, Josh!"
Chris got back on the line. "Honey, do you know what time it is?"
"Mmm, let me see...I can't see the clock, I took my glasses off. Oh, I give up, just tell me the time."
"It's 2:30. As much as I would love to talk to you all night, I'd better let you go. I've got to be on the bus in a couple of hours and I know you've got lots of work to do."
"All right, I guess you're right. I've enjoyed this call though," she smiled.
"Me too. Close your eyes for a sec."
"OK," she sounded skeptical of what he might be up to.
"OK, I'm giving you a kiss on your forehead. Did you get it?"
She smiled, "Yeah, thanks."
"Sweet dreams, Jess."
"Good night, Chris."

Chapter 6 by PopDiva

    During the next week, Jess prepared herself for her trip to Chicago to be interviewed by Oprah.  She was nervous beyond belief and was losing sleep over the whole thing.  All of the guys knew how she was struggling with the upcoming interview and they called her regularly to offer their suggestions and advice.  
    One afternoon, when JC called her, she was particularly listless.  
    "Jess, when did you last get some sleep?"
    "Um, let me think for a minute.  I don't know.  I think I slept for an hour last night."  She yawned.
    "OK.  That's it.  I don't care what you are doing this afternoon.  All of your plans have been officially cancelled."    
    "Josh!  No way, I've got stuff I have to do today."
    "Too bad.  If you even think about going out today instead of sleeping, I'll have Bryan at your house faster than you can blink.  And don't think he'll let you out."
    "It's easy enough for you to say, Josh, but going to bed and actually sleeping are two entirely different things."
    "Yep, they are.  So, here's what you're going to do.  You're going to have a nice hot shower and put on your comfy flannel pyjamas and crawl into bed.  I'm going to call you back and talk to you until you fall asleep."
    "Josh, you're not that boring!"
    He laughed, "Well, I hope I'm not, but you need to trust me."
    Jess stood in the middle of her room.  She really didn't have the energy to do the errands she had planned anyway.  She might as well do what Josh told her to do.  It wasn't like she really had a choice.  
    She was just finishing buttoning up her pyjamas when the phone rang.
    She answered the phone with a yawn.  "Yeah, Josh."
    There was a chuckle on the other end.  "Ha!  I told you I'd change phones and confuse you!"
    "Hi Chris, what can I do for you?"
    "You can get yourself into bed."
    "You know, Chris, I'm not a baby.  I am perfectly capable of deciding when I am ready to go to bed."
    "Jess, are you trying to start a fight with me?"
    "Yeah," she laughed, "Is it working?"
    "Nope.  Get your butt into bed or we're calling Bryan to come and baby sit you."
    "Fine," she huffed.
    "Are you in bed?"
    "Yes."  She growled.
    "Good.  OK, so here's the plan.  I'm going to read to you.  Just focus on my voice, OK?  Don't let other stuff run through your head.  Just listen and you'll be asleep before you know it."
    "OK, I'll try it."
    Chris started to read Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella, and sure enough, Jess fell under his spell.  There was something so soothing about his voice, but she wasn't able to give it much thought before she fell asleep.

    Jess felt much better when she woke up on Monday morning.  She couldn't believe that she had slept for more than fourteen hours!  She finished up a couple of articles and spent the rest of the day packing.  
The next morning, she would be flying to Chicago and take some time to get settled in.  She was going to be interviewed by Oprah on Wednesday morning, and she planned on staying in the city through the following weekend.
Jess arrived in Chicago on a warm June afternoon.  A driver was waiting for her at the airport and he collected her bags and had her checked into her hotel in record time. 
      Once she was alone in her room, Jess kicked off her shoes and flopped down on the bed.  The phone rang almost immediately.  She wasn't surprised when she answered and it was the guys.  They were on the bus, and she talked to each one of them.  They all sent their best wishes for tomorrow's interview.  
    She took herself out for dinner and returned to the hotel to get an early night.  

Chapter 7 by PopDiva
    Jess gathered her things and went down to the lobby to find her ride.  She arrived at Harpo Studios, and was met by one of the producers.  She was briefed on what to expect.  Then she was off to make-up, hair, and a break.  Before she knew it, she was ushered out into the studio and she came face to face with Oprah in front of the studio audience.
    Oprah welcomed Jess to the set and the cameras started to roll.  Jess watched the screen which showed the footage that Oprah was doing a voice over for.  It was clips of the Girlfriend video, some with Jess and Josh with their faces pressed up close to each other as well as some of them dancing.
    "Jess Crosby was cast to play the girlfriend of JC Chasez in the latest NSYNC video.  She's received a lot of attention in the media due to reactions of NSYNC fans to her appearance."  Oprah went on to talk about what Jess did for a living and how she had responded to the media attacks on her.  There was a commercial break.  When that ended, Oprah introduced Jess to the audience.  She was no longer nervous, she felt comfortable talking with Oprah.
    "Jess, in any interviews that Nsync has given about you, they have stated that you are a close friend of them.  How did that happen?"
    "Well, it all started with Josh.  When he started on Mickey Mouse Club, his tutor asked a friend of my teacher if they knew anyone who would be a good pen-pal for him.  She suggested me, and we started writing back and forth.  We learned about each other's countries (I'm from Canada), and became really good friends."
    "Now when you refer to Josh, you mean...?"
    Jess smiled, "JC.  Sorry.  When we first started writing, he was still going by Josh and that's what I still call him."
    "And JC introduced you to the rest of NSYNC?"
    "Yes.  I met them when they came to Canada and JC invited me to a show."
    "I understand you worked for them as well, tell me about that."
    "Yes, I did work with them for a few months on tour.   I actually worked with their production company doing a lot of running around behind the scenes. It was crazy and I loved every minute of it."
    "Now, Jess, how did you get cast in this video?"
    "JC asked me to play his girlfriend, and I told him I didn't want to.  I'm pretty shy and the idea of being on camera terrified me.  But JC asked me to reconsider.  He told me I was the kind of girl he could see himself with and I finally said yes."
    "How was it filming these scenes with him?"  (Pictures of JC and Jess in the video showed on the screen).
    "It was actually really hard to do.  I love JC, but not romantically.  He's one of my best friends and people say we're like brother and sister, so to film a scene where we're supposed to be in love was difficult.  We kept cracking each other up."
    Oprah paused for a commercial break and assured Jess that she was doing fine.  When the break ended, Oprah went in for the kill.
    "Y'all know that weight issues have plagued me throughout my career, now Jess, I'd like to know your reaction to the media attention surrounding your weight."
    Jess swallowed hard and wiped her hands on her knees, a bad nervous habit that she couldn't break.   "I was surprised at first.  I didn't expect it to be an issue, and when it was, I was hurt.  I've always been the big girl, the heavyset, ‘chubby' kid, and I was teased all through school, so hearing it play out in the media made me feel inferior.  It felt like my weight was the only thing that people saw about me."
    "What changed how you felt about it?"
    "There were a few things that changed how I felt about the media reaction.  The first is that I remembered that my weight is only a part of me, not the whole.   I remembered all the good stuff about me and that my friend wanted me in the video.  JC chose me to be there with me and you know what?"  She smiled, "JC has good taste!  And of course, five of my very close friends called me to make sure I was OK and to tell me that they loved me.   I also realized that my weight isn't really a problem.  I mean, it could become one, but right now, I'm in a healthy weight range which means that the ones with the problem were the ones who were saying I was fat.  They were the ones who saw a healthy girl as being abnormal.  They viewed underweight girls as beautiful and that harms other regular healthy girls."
    "Well, Jess, those five friends of yours have a few things to say to you."
    Jess turned and watched the screen Oprah indicated.
    JC was first.  "Jess has been one of my closest friends for most of my life.  I asked her to play the part of my girlfriend in the video because she is the kind of girl I can see myself with.  She is such a fun person.  She cares about people and she makes a difference in their lives.  I think that is part of what makes her such a beautiful person."
    "Jess is a great friend," Joey started.  "She is one of those people that you know you can go to any time to talk and she'll listen.  She really listens.  And she's got these gorgeous blue eyes-they're even prettier than Justin's," he laughed.
    "Hey!"  Justin pretended to hit Joey.  "Well, I guess you're right, her eyes are pretty.  And Jess is beautiful.  She really is.  She treats me as an equal, which is more than I can say for these guys and she really cares about her friends."
    Lance smiled.  "My turn, huh?  Well, Jess knows how I feel about her.  She's a wonderful lady and I'm proud to number her among my friends."
    The camera panned to Chris.  "Jess is a beautiful woman.  She's got this sparkle to her that just draws you to her, and she's got this killer smile," he smiled.  
    Oprah smiled.  "And Jess, the guys sent a surprise here to the studio for you."
    The music for "God Must Have Spent (A Little More Time on You)" started playing, and Jess watched in disbelief as the door at the back of the sound stage opened and Justin came walking down the aisle, singing.  He carried a yellow rose in his hand.  Other doors opened, and each of the guys made their way to the stage singing the song.  As they reached Jess, each guy handed her a different coloured rose, gave her a huge hug, and kissed her cheek.  The last one was Chris.  The smile he gave her was electrifying.  The rose in his hand was red.  Her heart did a somersault.  
    When they finished singing their song, Jess was standing between Chris and Joey, both of whom had an arm around her.  Oprah smiled.  "So, Jess, are you surprised to see NSYNC here?"
    Jess nodded, and tried to wipe a stray tear away.  Justin reached over and put a tissue in her hand.  "Yes.  They told me they couldn't be here today because they had a show."  She looked at them, "Please don't tell me you cancelled a show to be here, I've been in enough trouble with your fans."
    Lance smiled.  "No, we didn't cancel any shows.  We just did some artful dodging to get you here when we had a couple of days off."
    Oprah took another break for commercials and seats appeared out of nowhere for the men.  Jess and JC were seated next to each other with the others all around.
    After the break, Oprah started in on the guys.  "JC, tell me about how it felt when your friend who you chose to act with you was treated this way."
    JC sighed.  "To be honest, it broke my heart.  I couldn't believe that people who didn't even know Jess were judging her and making such unfair comments about her.  But then, I realized that they must be crazy, because as anyone can clearly see, this woman is beautiful!"  JC stood up and pulled Jess up beside him.  He spun her around while the audience cheered.  
    Jess gave JC a playful shove in the arm and sat back down.  
    "Now, JC, just to be clear, are you two an item?"
    JC and Jess looked at each other and laughed.  "No ma'am.  I love her very much, but not that way.  And I know the feeling is mutual."
    Oprah nodded.  "And I'll bet that any girl you date has to pass muster with Jess here."
    "Of course," he grinned.  "And I check out all her dates as well.  We're friends, we take care of each other."
    Oprah asked all five of the guys more questions, including the inevitable questions about who was currently single and what it was that they found attractive in a woman.  She then approached the audience for questions and comments.  A girl a little younger than Jess was chosen.
    "I....I just want to say ‘thank you'.  Seeing you in that video made me realize that I'm not fat, I'm perfectly healthy and beautiful."  She flashed a huge smile.  
Jess got up and hugged her.  "You are beautiful," she agreed.  
    During the last break, Jess was able to hug each of the guys again and thank them for their support.  Once again, Chris was last.  She looked up at him, suddenly shy.
    "Thanks for the roses, Chris.  You really made my day," she whispered.
    He smiled as he bent down to hug her.  "You're welcome.  By the way, these five finish off the dozen.  And you haven't forgotten your promise, have you?"
    They were coming back from break, Jess only had time to shake her head.
    Chris winked at her, and she smiled.
    "We're back and NSYNC has another song they'd like to sing for y'all!"  Oprah announced happily.  "Take it away, boys!"  Oprah left the stage leaving Jess trying to figure out what was going on.  Her head flit back and forth as if watching a tennis match.  Should she duck to the right or the left?  The music started, and before Jess dove into the wings, Justin took her hand and pulled her close to him.  She looked at him with a confused expression on her face.  He winked and said,
    "You know I like you right?  But will you be my girlfriend?"  He drew her close to him and led her in simple dance steps that she could follow.
    Josh came up on her other side, and when his line came up, he drew Jess away from Justin and towards him.  Justin would reach out and pull her back to him, then Josh would turn her around again.  During the chorus, the other three got into the act, trying to get Jess to themselves.  
    Jess was laughing the whole time and so was the audience.  The guys were such goofs.  She had fun dancing with them and it felt really good to flaunt the fact that regular girls are truly beautiful.
    Oprah came back to close the show, thanking her guests for being there.  As the credits were rolling, the guys went out to the audience to shake some hands and sign some autographs.  Several young girls approached Jess and asked for her picture and autograph as well which she found somewhat amusing.  

Chapter 8 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
Hey there!  I've been rewriting this as I'm posting each chapter, so if something seems out of place, let me know (it very well may be!).  I hope you are enjoying this.  I'm having fun working on it. 
    When their time with Oprah was finished, the six friends huddled together in the Green Room.  Jess gave all the guys heck for tricking her, but they knew that she really loved it.  
    "Well, I guess we'd better get going," JC looked at Justin, Lance and Joey.  
    "We'll see you later!"  Joey gave Jess a big hug.  "You did great today, Babe.  I'm real proud of you."  He squeezed her tight and lifted her off the floor.
    "Thanks, Joe.  Now put me down!"
    Justin kissed her cheek and whispered, "Chris has been bouncing off the walls for the last week!"
    Jess laughed.  "I'm sorry to hear that.  Thanks for putting up with it."  She hugged him and pulled him closer so she could whisper.  "I'm so nervous.  Is that crazy?"
    "Don't be.  You two fit.  Have a great time."
    Lance smiled down at her.  "Hey, gorgeous, do I get a hug like that?"
    "Of course!"  She reached up and hugged him tight.  "You know, this would be easier if you weren't so tall."
    Lance scooped her into his arms.  "Is that better?"
    "Lansten!  Put my date down!  You can't go around picking up other guys dates, that's just not fair!"  Chris hollered.
    Jess laughed.  Lance gave her a wink and a grin, then proceeded to spin her around in circles for Chris's benefit before he kissed her cheek and put her down.
    Chris followed Lance out into the hall giving him a hard time about the whole thing.  That left JC.
    "Hey," he smiled at her.
    "Hey," she replied.
    "You OK?"  She didn't answer, just nodded.  "Wanna talk?"
    "Yeah."
    "OK.  Tell you what, you need to go back to your hotel to change, right?"
    "I don't know, do I?" she glared at him archly.  
    "Yeah, trust me.  I'll ride with you and we can talk then.  Chris will understand, don't worry."
    JC made the arrangements with Chris.
    "Jessamyn, can I pick you up at your hotel in about an hour?"  He asked.
    "Sure, Christopher, an hour would be fine.  Where are we going?"
    "Hmm...that's a surprise.  Dress comfortably and be prepared to be outside."
    "OK."  She hugged him.  "Thanks for giving me this time with Josh."
    "No problem!  I figured you would want to talk to him."  Chris kissed her cheek, and Josh led her from the room.

    "So, spill," Josh ordered as soon as they were alone in the car.
    "Joshy, I'm scared."
    JC squeezed her hand.  "Sweetie, I know you are.  To be honest, with everything you have been through, I'd be more surprised if you weren't.  But you know what?  You don't have to be afraid.  Chris is a good guy, honey, and all you have to do is talk to him.  Let him know where you're coming from so he can understand."  JC saw the refusal in her expression and cut her off before she could express it.  "I know that you don't like to talk about it, but I really think he needs to know and I think you need to tell him."
    "Why, Josh?  Why does he need to know?  I don't like knowing.  I hate that I had to tell you.  I don't even want to think about it ever again."  Tears filled her eyes again and threatened to spill out.  
    "Sweetheart, you may not want to think about it, but in focussing all your energy into not thinking about it, you're thinking about it even more.  You need to just talk about it and stop denying that it happened.  You need to stop letting it hold power over you like this.  Yes, it was shitty and yes it should never have happened, but it happened.  I know it's hard and if I could make it all go away, I would."
    She patted his hand absently, "I know, Josh, I know."  She sighed.  "But I just want to put it all behind me and go back to normal.  I wish I just wasn't so fucked up and afraid."
    "What are you talking about?"  JC put a hand under her chin and turned her face so that they were looking eye to eye.  "You are one of the most courageous people I know.  Who picked up the pieces of her life and moved to an entirely new country?  Who got her shit together and got the degree that people told her she couldn't earn?  Who has her dream job and is doing a damn fine job at it?  It sure as hell isn't me.  It's you, baby."  He released her face.  "You have more gumption than you realize.  You have a date with a guy that you've had a crush on for what?  Two years?  I say, ‘go for it'!  Keep on living life fully.  Don't give in to that fear.  You know that you have to be vulnerable; you've got to be open to the possibility of being hurt, or you can't experience all the great stuff life has to offer.  Look, I know that Chris is really sincere in the way he feels about you.  He smiles every time your name is mentioned.  I know that he will understand how you are feeling if you talk to him about it."
    "He really smiles like that?"  She grinned.
    JC guffawed.  "You should see it!  He gets this funny look on his face and he's giggly like a school girl.  We've been teasing him mercilessly about it."
    She laughed.  "Thanks, it helps to know that.  Josh, how are you with all this?  I mean Chris is your friend and all, are you OK with me seeing him?"
He shrugged, "Well, I will admit that I'm jealous of all the time he spends talking to you on the phone and stuff, but I'm cool with it.  I've always known that I wouldn't be your number one guy forever.  Eventually you will find the right guy and be with him completely, so, it's kinda cool that the guy you're dating is my friend too.  You know, the best thing about you and Chris dating is that for once you will be dating a guy who understands our relationship and won't be all panicked because your best friend is a guy."
    "I never thought of that.  You're right."
    They arrived at the hotel.  "Josh, can you come up?  I have no idea what to wear, and I will pull out everything I brought with me if I'm alone."
    "You bet I'll come up.  I have to give your date the third degree anyway, that's part of my job."
    
    A short time later, Josh was sitting on the bed in Jess's room.  He was idly flipping channels on her television.
    "Well, what do you think?"
    He looked up at her and smiled.  Jess was wearing what looked to be a short denim skirt, a red tank top with a long sleeved white blouse over top.  "You look great! But, uh, honey, are you sure you want to wear a skirt?"
    "Ah, Josh, that's the beauty of this outfit.  It's not a skirt.  It's called a scooter."  She lifted up the skirt to reveal the shorts that were part of it.
    "Oh, very nice.  I thought it was odd for you to wear such a short skirt.  I like it.  Very sexy."  He winked.
    She smiled.  "Thanks, Josh.  I really needed your extra boost of confidence today.  I wasn't expecting to be going out until Chris came home, so this has kinda thrown me for a loop."
    "No worries," he replied.  He pat the bed beside him.  "Come sit.  Relax.  Chris will be a few minutes yet."
    Jess tried to sit down beside him, but she was too nervous, so she got up and started pacing.  JC got off the bed.  He forced her to stop pacing and wrapped her in his arms. 
    "Jess, trust me, honey.  You have no reason to be nervous.  Just go out and have fun, OK?"
    She nodded, "Yeah, Josh.  I'll try.  Thanks."
    "No problem.  Hey, do you mind if I crash here for a bit?  I could use a break from the other guys."
    "Sure.  I'll leave you my key.  Just leave it at the desk for me."
    There was a knock at the door.  Jess took a deep breath and opened the door.
    "Hello," Chris smiled at her, immediately putting her at her ease.
    "Hi, Chris!" 
    "You look great!  Are you ready to go?"
    "Yes, let me just get my bag."
    She went into the bedroom to get her bag.  JC nodded at Chris.  "She's fine, just nervous."
    Jess came out with her bag on her arm.  "Josh, here's my key.  Don't trash the place, OK?"  She leaned into his hug.
    "Have a great time.  Call me later, OK?"  He kissed her cheek and then released her so that she could take Chris's hand.
 
Chapter 9 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
This chapter is fun, hope you like it.  If i ever get to visit Chicago, I'm totally going to Navy Pier!  It looks like a lot of fun.
    Chris led Jess down the hall towards the elevators.
    "I hope you don't mind, but we have a chaperone today.  Since it couldn't be avoided, I made sure it was someone you knew all ready," he said, indicating Bryan.
    "Hey Bryan!"
    "Hi Miss C.  You ready for your big day?"
    "I don't know.  He hasn't told me where we're going."
    "Well, don't look at me.  I'm just an innocent bystander.  My job is just to protect the two of you from swarming fans, I stay out of the date."
    Chris smirked.  "Nice try, Jess."
    She shrugged.  "Can't blame a girl for trying."
    Chris didn't release her hand at all, not even when they got into the car.  Jess looked out the window, trying to take in all the sights.  
    "So, what are we doing today?" she asked.
    "Ah, Jessamyn, the question is not what are we doing today, the question is what aren't we doing today?"  He handed her a brochure for Navy Pier.
    "How did you know I wanted to go to Navy Pier?  Oh man, that sister of yours has a big mouth!"
    He smiled.  "Yeah, she does.  Something you might want to know is that if you want to keep something a secret, you don't tell Taylor.  By the way, she said that if I screw things up, she's disowning me and keeping you."  He chuckled.  
    "Well, I guess you'd better not screw up then, huh?" she laughed at him.
    "Guess not."  He smiled as he squeezed her hand.  

    Before they got out of the car at the Navy Pier, Bryan went over his ground rules.
    "OK, you two, look here.  I'm more than willing to stay in the background and give you the space you need, but if you ditch me, there will be hell to pay.  Understand?"
    They both nodded.  
    He smiled at them.  "Now go and have yourselves a good date."
    Chris pulled Jess out of the car after him and hit the pavement running.  "What should we do first?"
    Jess laughed.  "Oh my goodness, I forgot that you are really a five year old trapped in a grown up body!"    
    Chris pouted.  "I'm going to ignore that remark.  Oh!  Look over there, a maze!  Come on!"  He pulled Jess towards the building.
    "I don't know about this, Chris," she said apprehensively.  She had this thing about dark, enclosed spaces.  Claustrophobia.
    "Pleeeeze?"  He pouted some more.  "What if I promise to hold your hand the whole time?"
    "Hmmm," she gave it some thought.  "The whole time?"  He nodded.  "OK, I'll do it."
    Chris purchased the tickets, and they started their way through the wacky maze.  Jess had a killer grip on Chris's hand and held onto his arm with her other hand.  Chris wasn't complaining about the closeness, in fact, he rather enjoyed it.  He put one hand in the small of her back and nudged her forward.  Every time something unexpected happened, Jess would yelp and hold tighter to Chris.  She felt silly because she really wasn't like this normally, but the close space and not knowing what was going to happen next unnerved her.  By the time they got out of the maze, Chris had to pry her fingers off his arm.  
    "Are you OK?"  He was genuinely concerned.
    "Yep, fine.  Never better."  She babbled.
    "Liar.  Remind me never to take you to a haunted house."  He smirked.
    "Not a problem.  You couldn't get me in a haunted house."
    "So, what should we do next?"  He looked around.  "Why don't you pick?"
    Jess looked at the brochure in her hand.  "How about the Children's Museum?  That sounds pretty tame."
    Chris read the brochure over her shoulder.  "Hey, are you implying something about my intellect?  It says here it's geared to five to ten year olds!"
    "Chris, I would never underestimate your intellect like that!  I love stuff geared to kids-I'm a children's writer, or did you forget that?"  She felt terrible that he would think that.
    He laughed.  "Gotcha!"
    "You're such a brat!"  She scolded.
    "Yeah, but that's why you like me," he replied while giving her a squeeze.
    "Ha!  That's what you think!" was her retort.

    They went into the Children's Museum and wandered through the exhibits that interested them.  Jess stopped a little longer than Chris at one point, and he walked into a hallway full of ten year olds on a field trip.  A group of girls looked at him, then looked back at each other.  "You ask him"  "No, you do it!"  One of the girls was pushed forward, and she looked at Chris.
    "Ummm, hi!" she said.
    "Hi," he replied with a smile.  
    "Are you Chris Kirkpatrick?" she asked timidly.
    He nodded, "Yeah, I am.  What's your name?"
"Erin," she replied.  
"Hi, Erin," he smiled at her, then took a step closer to her, "See that lady over there?"  He asked.
    She nodded.  
    "Isn't she pretty?"  Erin nodded again.  "I'm on a date with her.  Our first date.  Can you keep it a secret that I'm here?"  Erin thought about it for a minute, then nodded.  
    "Tell you what," Chris went on.  "See that big guy following me?"  He pointed to Bryan.  
    "Yep," Erin said.
    "If you and your friends leave your school information with him, I'll get all the guys to autograph pictures for your entire class.  How does that sound?"
    "Really?  I'd have kept it a secret anyway, Chris, but that would be so cool!"
    "No problem, Sweetie!  Thanks!"  He bent down and kissed Erin on the cheek.

    Jess came over just as he was straightening back up.
    "Kissing another woman while you're out with me?"  She pretended to be shocked.
    Erin shook her head, "It's nothing like that; he really, really likes you!"
    Jess looked at Erin, "Really, really?"
    Erin nodded emphatically.  "Yeah, he told me so."
    Jess gave an exaggerated sigh, "Well then I guess I'd better give him a second chance, huh?"
    Erin smiled.  "Yeah."
    The class moved on to another part of the museum.  "Bye Erin,"  Chris called.
    "Bye Chris!" she smiled knowing her friends were dying to know what had transpired.
    Chris turned to Bryan and explained the promise he had made to Erin.  Bryan went off in search of the teacher and Chris faced Jess.  "Sweetie, I'm so sorry that happened."
    "Why?  I know how all this pop star thing works, Chris.  Besides, you handled it really well.  You were gracious and you made her day."
    "I'm glad you feel that way," he said.
    "Yeah, well ask me again after it's happened about twenty times or so, maybe I will have changed my opinion."  Chris laughed and put his arm around her shoulder.
    They took their time looking at the exhibit on dinosaurs and when Bryan rejoined them, they left the museum.  
    
    By this time, they were hungry, and Chris had brought a picnic lunch with him.  He retrieved it from the car and they walked along the pier to the gardens.  He found a secluded spot, and they sat down on a bench to eat. 
    "Wow, Chris, you thought of everything," Jess commented as she watched him pull items out of the basket.
    He shrugged, "Well, I had lots of time to plan, and I wanted this to be a great date.  I know it seems like a lot for a first date, but I figure with our schedules, it's more like the first four or five dates rolled into one, don't you?"
    She looked at him blankly.  "Huh?"
    "Well, I mean, if we were in the same town, I'd ask you out on a date, and if it went well, I'd try to see you more often.  This date is going great, and I know it will be at least a month before I see you again.  Oh man, I'm bumming myself out."
    She smiled, "Chris, can we just enjoy today first?"  He nodded.  "Besides, you forget I am a freelance author.  I can take time off and travel when I want.  I just take my work with me."
    "Oh yeah!"  He grinned.  "That is just too cool!"
    They ate their lunch and sat watching boats moving around the pier.  It was a beautiful day to just sit and watch the world go by.  Chris slipped his arm around Jess's back.  She smiled and snuggled closer to him, putting her head on his shoulder.
    "This feels right, doesn't it?"  He asked contentedly.
    "Yeah," she smiled up into his eyes.  "You know, earlier, when I told Justin I was nervous, he said that we fit.  Now I see what he means.  We do fit."
    "You were nervous?"
    "Yeah, I was.  I didn't think we'd go out until you came home, so I wasn't expecting this to happen so soon and then well, yeah, I've got a lot on my mind right now."
    "I'm sorry I sprung this on you.  I just really wanted to surprise you.  And, I know that you've been hurt before.  One thing I can promise you is that I will NOT treat you badly.  I can't promise I will never hurt you, but I will do my best not to, and if I ever do, I will do everything I can to make it better."
    Jess had a couple of tears in her eyes.  "Chris, you're just too sweet.  Thank you."
    He kissed the tip of her nose.  "Wanna know a secret?  I was nervous too.  I really didn't want to blow this.  We've been friends for a long time, and I was afraid that it would jeopardize our friendship, but I think we'll be fine."
    They sat a while longer, each with an arm around the other's back, just enjoying the closeness and companionship.  Chris decided he had been sitting for long enough, so he pulled Jess up by her hand.
    "Come on, there's a really cool place I want to check out!  Taylor thought you'd love it."
    He led her quickly back down the pier, zigging and zagging through the oncoming pedestrians.  He came to a sudden stop, causing her to bump into him.
    "Oof!  Sorry, Chris."
    "Hey, don't apologize.  It was my fault for slamming on the brakes, but you know you don't have to apologize for getting close to me, I don't mind a bit!"  He gave her an impish grin, raising his eyebrows.
    "Oh, please," she groaned, dropping his hand.  She looked up to see where it was they had stopped.  "Build a Bear Workshop...hmmm, Taylor was right, this looks like a neat place."
    This time, she led the way.  Jess headed for the first bear display, picking them up one at a time and giving them a hug.  "Oh, you're just too cute!"
    "Jess, are you talking to the bears?"
    "Of course," she replied.  "Bears are people too."
    "OK, hun, if you say so.  Hey, let's build a bear.  I'm going to build one just like me.  You make one like you, then we will swap, deal?"
    "Deal," she replied and they shook on it.
    Both started with the Curly bear.  Chris made Jess go ahead at the next station.  She had to pick a sound.  Hmmm.  Jess listened to all of them.  Some of them were funny and some were downright scary.  She ended up choosing the Monkey because it sounded most like a laugh.  She liked to laugh, so it fit.  She moved on to the next station where she was given a fabric heart.  She was told to hold it in her hands to warm it and make a wish.  Jess looked over at Chris where he was choosing his sound.  She caught his eye, winked at him and gave the little heart a kiss before making her wish.
    Chris caught up with her at the stuffing station.  "Hey, cutie, what was your wish?"
    "Nope, sorry, can't tell you." She teased.
    "That's OK, I'll bet you made the same wish I did," he squeezed her hand. 
    The attendant handed Jess back her bear.  "Here you are, Miss.  Give him a hug to see if it's right."
    Jess snuggled her bear, then passed it to Chris, "What do you think?"
    Chris, never taking his eyes off Jess, squeezed the bear and handed it back, "Perfect."
    She felt a jolt of electricity go through her.  She knew he wasn't talking about the bear.  She sat down to stitch up her bear, trying to cool herself down.  Who turned up the heat?  Chris brought his now stuffed bear to her. 
    "Wanna give him the hug test?"  He asked.
    "I'd rather hug you," she grinned, "but let me see.  Yep, he's good."
    Chris looked at Jess with his jaw wide open.  "Are you flirting with me?  I like it."
    When both bears were stitched up, they moved on to the fluffing station.  Chris got a little wild with the air fluffer, sticking his head under the blower to see what would happen to his hair.
    One of the employees shook her head, "Don't worry," she said to Jess, "All the kids do that when they're here."
    Chris shot her a look that said, "See?  I'm perfectly normal!"
    The next station was the name station.  Jess took a while trying to think up a good name for the bear that was supposed to represent her.  Chris was surprisingly quick and his bear's birth certificate was printed out first.
    He moved on to the clothing while Jess pondered her bear's name a bit longer.  "Hey Jess," Chris called, "Look, Bearboxers!  Cool.  My bear is totally wearing those!"
    Jess shook her head, trying to avoid eye contact with the people who were in the store.   "That's great, Chris, I don't think quite everyone heard that."
    "Aw, come on honey, it's just bear underwear!"  He came and put an arm around her shoulder.  "Come on, let's get your bear some underpants too!"
    Jess made a fast selection in that department and moved on to the shirts.  She chose a white T shirt which said "Hug Freely" and had a bear head coloured like the Canadian flag.  She loved hugs, so it was perfect.  She dressed her bear in a denim skirt with the flag on it.  The sandals she picked out were white.  She put some flowers on each of the bear's ears and found a pair of glasses for her too.  She stepped back to admire her handy work. 
    Chris had been very secretive about his bear project.  He didn't let Jess see any of it, promising she could have it later.  It didn't bother her as much as he hoped it would, but it was driving him nuts that he couldn't see what she was doing either. 
    Jess got to the cash desk before Chris did.  He tried to hand his credit card over to the employee, but Jess swatted him back.  "I don't think so!  If I'm giving this to you, I'm paying for it."
    Chris was going to argue, but he stopped and thought about it for a second, "OK."
    They took their bears to the car.  Chris locked them in the trunk, giving the key to Bryan so that neither of them could try to discover the other's secret.
    "So, now what?"  Jess asked.
     Chris pulled the Navy Pier brochure out of his pocket.  "Your turn to decide."
    Jess took the flyer and studied it for a couple of minutes.  "Well, first I need to know how long we're planning on being here."
Chris looked at his watch.  "Well, it's about one o'clock.  Um, let's say we finish up with the Pier around four."
"Then what?"
"Jess, you know that information is only given out on a need to know basis."
"Hmm, the Museum of Stained Glass sounds interesting, but we've already done a museum today and I wouldn't want you to think that I'm a geek or anything, so let's go and check out the rides."
    "Aw, sweetie, I already know you're a geek," Chris gave her a sugary smile.
    She elbowed him in the gut.  "Oh yeah?  Just for that, I'll make you go on the Ferris wheel!"
    "Nice try.  You're afraid of heights too," he smirked.
    "Oh yeah.  Well, I'm sure I'll think of something."
    Jess took Chris's hand in hers as they walked along the pier towards the rides.  They went on the carousel first.  Their horses were side by side, and they pretended they were racing.  People around them just looked at them like they were crazy.     
    The ride finished, and both insisted they had won the race.  They asked Bryan for his unbiased opinion. 
    "Oh no, I told you two that I was not getting involved in the date, and I meant it."
    Before they could cajole Bryan into giving them a better answer, Chris's cel phone rang. 
    "What the?  I told everyone not to call me today-Hello?"
    Chris wandered away from them to take his call.  He came back a minute later.  "Jess, it's for you.  I'm going to get us a drink.  Would you like a Coke?"  She nodded and mouthed ‘yes please' as she took the phone.  "Hello?"
    "Hey, Babe!  How's your date going?"
    "Josh?  Why are you calling me in the middle of my date?"
    "Just checking in to make sure he's being a gentleman."
    "Of course he's being a gentleman.  Chris couldn't be anything but!"
    JC laughed.  "I know.  I just really wanted to see how you were doing."
    She sighed.  "Josh, what is going on?  What do you really want to know?"
    "Come on, Jess, I know how nervous you were this morning, I'm just checking to see how you're doing, see if you need any of my expert advice, you know."
    "Joshua, I truly appreciate your concern, but I'm on a date!  Do you call Justin when he's on a date to see how he's doing?  I don't think so!"
    "I'm sorry honey.  You're right.  I'll let you go, but if you need to talk, you know how to get a hold of me."
    "Yes, Josh, I do.  I'll talk to you after my date and tell you all about it, OK?  But for now, I'll just tell you it's going well.  Now I'm going to hang up, OK?"  She closed the phone without waiting for an answer.  She wasn't sure which direction Chris and Bryan had gone in, so she decided to stay where she was and wait for them to find her.  She leaned against the railing and looked out at the boats.
    "Jess?"  She lifted her head up at the sound of the familiar voice.
    "Kelly?"
    "What are you doing here?" they asked each other at the same time as they hugged each other.  Kelly was Joey's girlfriend and the two girls had been pushed together a lot when the boys first started out.  They had become fast friends.
    "I've been visiting Joe for a few days.  I didn't come to the show this morning because I was afraid you'd see me and spoil your surprise.  I heard they really got you, huh?"
    "I'll say!  I can't believe all five of them actually kept a secret.  It must have just about killed them."
    Joey wandered up behind Kelly and put his arm around her waist and pulled her close to him.  "Yeah, Jess, it was pretty bad.  I'm just glad it's over.  Hey, where's Chris?"
    Kelly looked over her shoulder at Joey.  "Chris?  Why would Jess know where Chris is?"
    "'Cause she's here with him," Joey responded.
    "Ohhhh!"  Kelly looked back to Jess.  "You and Chris got a little somethin'-somethin' goin' on?"
    If looks could kill, then Joey would have had a corpse on his hands, lucky for Kelly, Chris appeared then.
    "Hey, Sweetie, here's your drink."
    "Thanks, Chris.  Here's your phone."  She took the cup he was holding and gladly had a long drink from it.
    "Hey Kelly!"  Chris gave her a hug, careful not to spill his own drink on her.  "Joe," the two men did one of their complicated handshakes, and then Chris stepped back to stand by Jess.  He took her hand in his.  An awkward silence ensued.
    "So, you guys tried the maze yet?"  Chris asked.
    Kelly was still too stunned to reply.  Joey shook his head, "No, not yet.  We were thinking of it.  Did you try it?  Was it any good?"
    After a couple more minutes of small talk in which the guys did most of the talking, the two couples parted.  As Kelly walked away from Jess, she mouthed, "we need to talk!"  Jess nodded and went with Chris. 
    Chris and Jess wandered aimlessly around the pier hand in hand.  "How's JC?" he asked.
    "Ugh.  I'm so sorry, Chris.  I can't believe he called."
    Chris smiled.  "Don't worry about it.  You should see what I'm like when one of my sisters is out on a date."
    Jess laughed at the thought of Chris harassing his sisters.  "Those poor girls."
    "Yeah, I tend to drive them nuts, but it's only because I love them.  And JC is only overprotective because he loves you too."
    The two continued walking in silence, enjoying the day and the company.  Jess looked at Chris, amazed that she was with him and that he seemed to like her.  Chris caught her staring.  "What?" he asked with a laugh.
    She shook her head to refocus her thoughts, "Sorry.  I'm just thinking about what a great day this has been.  Thanks, Chris."
    "Oh, Sweetie, the day's not over yet!  But I'm having a great time too."  He stopped and pulled her into his arms.  For a second, she thought he was going to kiss her, but she didn't want it to happen in front of all these people.  He seemed to sense that and just gave her an affectionate squeeze.     
    They heard kids' laughter.  Chris led the way as they followed the sound towards the park at the entrance to the pier.  Jess saw the fountain before Chris did.  She handed her purse to Bryan and pulled ahead of Chris.  She pulled him into the middle of the fountains just as the water started to shoot up high.  When Chris realized what she had done, he chased after her.  The two wove around the kids, trying to stay out of the water.  Jess was trying to keep her distance from Chris.  He was soaked, and she was only a  little damp around the edges.  The wetter he got, the harder Jess laughed.  Her laughter slowed her down and Chris caught her.  He wrapped her in a big wet hug and while she was enjoying the embrace, he guided her over a water spout so that when the next blast came through it, she was drenched from head to toe.  So there they were, totally wet and totally wrapped up in each other.  Suddenly they realized that everyone was watching them.  Chris took Jess's hand and led her out of the fountain.
    Bryan met them at the edge of the fountain and directed them away from the crowd of onlookers.  There were a couple of people mumbling, "isn't that?  No, it couldn't be."  He wanted to make sure he got the two of them out of there before someone realized that it really was the person they thought it couldn't be.
    Jess and Chris laughed all the way back to the car.  The time in the fountain bonded them more closely together because they where able to be kids together and to just let loose and be themselves.  Bryan drove them back to Chris's hotel.
    As they walked through the lobby to the elevator, they could feel people staring at them.  It was only to be expected since they were dripping on the carpets.  Chris and Jess walked with their heads up, acting as if everything was normal with them.
    Chris stopped in front of a door and passed Jess a key card.
    "What's this?" she asked.
    "It looks like a key, Jess."
    "Very funny, smartass.  Why are you giving it to me?"
    "It's the key to your room."
    "Uh, no, my room is in that other hotel you were at this morning."
    "Not any more," he smiled as he took the key out of her hand and used it to open the door.  "When JC called this afternoon, he was just letting me know that he got everything moved here."  Chris nudged Jess ahead of him into the room.  She looked around and saw all of her stuff there.  Josh was peeking out from behind the door that connected her room to his.
    "Surprise?" he asked weakly.
    Jess groaned.  "You went through my stuff?"  She turned to Chris, "And you let him?  What is the matter with you two?"  She flopped down and sat on the bed.
Chris shot JC a look that clearly said, "What do we do now?"
            JC came into the room.  "Jessie?  Don't be mad at Chris.  This was my idea.  I wanted to have you close by.  I didn't look at any of your private stuff, honest!"
Jess huffed.  "Did you get everything?  You didn't leave any thing there, did you?  Wait!  Where's my laptop?  And all my notes and research?"  She jumped up and started rooting through her belongings.
"Jess, I got everything.  I know how careful you are with your writing stuff."  JC put his hands on her shoulder.  "Please, Babe, don't be mad," he pleaded.
"OK, Josh.  I'm sorry I flipped out on you," she looked at Chris, "And you too.  I just don't like the feeling that you two are plotting against me."
Josh looked at Chris.  "Um, speaking of plotting..."
She rolled her eyes, "Oh no, now what?"
"Well, I was hoping you might change your vacation plans and come on the road with us.  I really miss you and I know how much you would love to spend time with Chris..." he left off hopefully.
"I don't know, Josh.  I mean, I'd love to spend the time on tour with you guys, but Chris and I have only been on one date, and I don't want to make it awkward.  Besides, I don't even know if he'd want me around that much."
"Are you kidding?  I'd love to have you on tour with us.  It would be great!  But, Jess, I hate to be the one to tell you, we've only been on half a date.  We've got dinner reservations in about an hour and a half."
Jess looked up at Chris.  "Dinner?  Are you sure you're not sick of me yet?"
"Of course not.  I'm having a great time.  Don't turn me down now," he looked at her with his big brown eyes, knowing that they were his secret weapon.
She threw her hands up in the air.  "OK, fine.  I'll go to dinner with you," she nodded at Chris, then turned to JC, "and I'll go on tour with you.  Everybody happy now?  Any thing else the two of you want to tell me?"
"Just that you're beautiful," Chris smiled at her.  He took her hands and pulled her to him.  "I'll be back in about an hour to pick you up, OK?"  He put a hand on the back of her neck and tipped her head towards him.  He kissed her forehead and gave her a quick hug. 
"Wait!  Chris, where are we going?  How should I dress?"
"Wear something sexy!"  He called over his shoulder as he closed the door behind him.
 
Chapter 10 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's taken me so long to post this chapter.  It's pretty long, but fun.  Let me know what you think!

    “Wear something sexy!”  He called over his shoulder as he closed the door behind him.
    Jess looked at JC.  “Sexy?  I don’t own anything sexy!”
    “Sure you do,” Josh reached into her closet and pulled out a dress.
    “Josh, that’s not my dress.  Where did you get that?”
    “At the store, where else?”
    “You went shopping to buy me a dress?”  She looked at her best friend in disbelief.  “You hate shopping almost as much as I do.”
    "Yeah, but this was for a good cause.  I know how you pack for vacation, and I wanted to make sure you had something to wear on your date.  You’d better go get a shower.  Kelly will be here in ten minutes to do your hair and all that girlie stuff you women do.”
    “Josh,” she protested as he pushed her towards the bathroom, “I don’t do girlie stuff.”
    “Well, here’s your chance.  Oh, go with the ‘Moonlit’ body wash, much sexier than that orange stuff you have.”
    “You smelled my body wash?  What is wrong with this picture?”  Jess turned around to see that the bathroom door was closed and Josh was no longer any where to be seen.

    She shrugged and got herself into the shower.  After the cold water from the fountain, the shower felt really good.  She stayed in it much longer than ten minutes, and when she did get out, she nearly jumped out of her skin to see Kelly standing in the bathroom with a robe.
    “Quick, Jess, get this on.  We’re losing time here!”  Kelly wrapped the robe around Jess and pushed her into a chair.  Jess didn’t have much choice but to let Kelly do what she was going to do to her hair.
    “So, Chris, huh?”  She made eye contact in the mirror as she started combing out Jess’ hair.
    “Yep.”
    “Care to elaborate?”  Kelly eyed her hopefully.
    Jess smiled and gave a sigh.  “He’s so sweet.  I’ve liked him for a long time, and he asked me out.”
    “So, how was Navy Pier?”
    “I had a lot of fun.  Chris was great.  He was so attentive and he made me feel so special.  I don’t know how to explain it.”
    “I do.  You two belong together.  He let down his guard and showed you his serious and sensitive side, and you let down your guard and had fun.  You’re good for each other.”  Kelly smiled as she started to place rollers in Jess’s hair.
    Jess thought about it.  “That could be it.  I hadn’t thought about it like that.”
    “So, give me the dirt, did he kiss you?” Kelly grinned.
    “Well, sorta.”  Jess shrugged.
    “Sorta?  How do you get sorta kissed?”
    “Well, I mean, he kissed my forehead and my nose.  I’m not complaining, I liked those kisses, but…”
    “But he didn’t kiss you kiss you yet, huh?” smirked Kelly.
    “Yeah, but honestly, I don’t know if I want him to.  I’m not sure I’m ready.” Jess shrugged.
    Kelly rolled her eyes, “Jess, a kiss isn’t a marriage proposal.”
    “I know, Kell, I’m just scared.  I’m not really good with relationships, you know?  I like him, but I don’t want things to move too fast, and I don’t want to screw things up.”  
    Kelly looked her squarely in the eyes.  “Jess, just relax.  How long have we known Chris?”
    Jess thought about it, “As long as we’ve known each other, I guess.”
    "Yeah, and let me tell you something, Jess, in all that time, I’ve never seen either of you as happy as you were today.  I saw the way he looked at you and the way he held your hand.  Jess, the boy is smitten!  And then there’s you.  Girl, you look  like you’ve been lit up from the inside.  Something about the way he cares for you just makes you come alive, I can see it just by looking at you.  Just let go, Jess.  Don’t let all your fears hold you back.”
    “Thanks, Kelly, you’re right.  I need to stop thinking about it and just live in the moment, right?”
    “Yep, and in this moment, you’ve got to get your dress on,”  Kelly laughed as she pulled Jess out of the chair.

    Half an hour later, Jess stood there, amazed by her reflection.  The dress JC had chosen was perfect.  The midnight blue colour brought out the colour of her eyes.  It was sleeveless, and clung to her figure from her bust to her waist, then it flared out into a full skirt that ended just above her knees.  She giggled and did a spin.  
Her heart jumped into her throat when she heard the knock at the door.  She took a deep breath and willed her heart to return to its regular place before she went to the door.  
    Chris’s jaw dropped to his chest when Jess opened the door.  “Wow,” he whispered.
    His reaction gave her a moment to take in his appearance as well.  As usual, Chris did not have a hair out of place.  His goatee was trimmed with the utmost precision.  He wore a royal blue dress shirt and matching tie under a black suit.  He looked very, very good.
    “Chris?”  Jess’s voice brought him back to himself.
    “Wow, you are stunning,” he met her eyes and grinned broadly at her.
    “Thank you,” she flushed.  “You look great too.”
    He offered her his elbow.  “Shall we?”
    Jess picked up her wrap and clutch and took his arm.  “Let’s!”
    They heard doors closing quickly as they headed towards the elevator.  Jess rolled her eyes, “Honestly, don’t these people have anything better to do?”
    Chris laughed, “Hey, I can’t blame those guys for wanting to get a look at you!”
    As they passed before the last door, it popped open and a wolf whistle was heard.  The door happened to be on Jess’s side of the hallway, so she reached out and gave it a hard shove inwards.
    “Oof!”  Jess and Chris laughed.  The door opened and Justin pouted out at them.  “What was that for?  I was merely expressing my admiration for the beautiful woman!”
    As they got in the elevator, Chris called, “Hey, Justin, she’s with me!  Go ogle someone else!”
    The doors closed before they heard Justin’s reply which was probably just as well.  They were alone in the elevator.  Chris hit the emergency stop button.  
    Jess looked at him with anxiety obvious on her face.  
    “Don’t worry, Sweetheart,” he whispered in her ear.  “I just wanted to take a minute here and now to tell you how beautiful you are.”  
    Jess felt her insides melt as Chris’s body got closer to hers.  She was pretty sure that now he was going to kiss her.  Then, the emergency phone rang.
    “Damn!”  Chris muttered before he picked it up.  “Hello.  No, everything’s fine.  Oh, you have security cameras.  Can you blame me for wanting a moment alone with this fine woman here?”  Chris gestured towards Jess.  “Yeah, I’ll tell her.  OK, I’ll hit the button.  Thanks.”
    Chris turned towards Jess.  “The security guy thinks you’re a hottie.”
    “Oh, that’s nice,” she replied dryly.
    The elevator reached the lobby and they stepped out.  As they were passing the front desk, the security guard gave them a grin and a thumbs up.  Jess hid her face against Chris’s shoulder in embarrassment, but Chris just grinned and gave a thumbs up back.
    The doorman approached them, “Mr. Kirkpatrick?  Your limousine is here.”
    Jess’s head shot up.  “What??”
    Chris smiled, “You’re surprised?  I don’t know why.  You my dear, deserve only the best.”
    Chris assisted Jess into the limo and stopped to talk to the driver before getting in beside her.  Jess was nervous.  Her knee was bouncing up and down uncontrollably.  It didn’t help a lot when Chris put his hand on her knee to stop it.  
    “Hey,” he whispered.  “Relax.  It’s just you and me having dinner.  Nothing else, OK?”
    She looked at him.  “I’m sorry.  I don’t know why I’m acting like a star-struck teenager.”
    Chris took her hand and placed it over his heart.  “If you are, then I am too,” he smiled.  She felt that his heart was racing and they both laughed.
    “OK, I feel better now.”
    “Good, I’m glad.  But, you know, you are cute when you’re nervous.”
    “Gee, thanks, Chris,” she answered sarcastically.  “I’ll have to remember that for when I meet the Backstreet Boys.”
    “Oh, now, Jess, that was low!”  Chris pouted.
    Jess just looked at him and laughed some more.  Before she knew it, they had reached their destination.  Chris got out of the car and turned to take Jess’s hand.
    “Hey, isn’t this Navy Pier?”  
    “Yep,” he replied.
    “Weren’t we here already today?”
    “Yep.”
    “You’re not going to tell me anything else, are you?”
    He laughed.  “Nope.”
    She held on to his arm and they walked down the pier together.  It was getting dark, so he wasn’t as easily recognized.  The lights reflecting off the water were beautiful.  The wind off the water was cool so Jess pulled her wrap a little tighter around her shoulders.
    Chris took Jess past the restaurants and towards the gardens.  He stopped at the entrance to Crystal Gardens and was met by a hostess.
    “Mr. Kirkpatrick, Ms. Crosby, my name is Holly.  Your table is ready, will you follow me?”
    Jess was stunned.  She looked at Chris.  He smiled, but didn’t say anything until the hostess left.
    “What?” he asked.
    “We’re in the gardens.  There isn’t anyone else here.  We’re having dinner in the gardens alone?  You told me not to be nervous, and you take me to dinner in the gardens?  Are you crazy?  Am I crazy?”
    “Relax, Jessamyn.  They do private parties here all the time.  This time, it just happens to be a party of two.”  He reached across the table and took both of her hands in his.  “I wanted a private evening for the two of us.  No fans, no cameras, just you and me.  Don’t be nervous, OK?  I really want you to have a great time.”
    “OK,” she smiled weakly at him.  “Thank you, Chris.  It’s really beautiful here.”
    Chris reluctantly released her hands as the waiter arrived.  While the two of them looked over their menus, Chris caught Jess’s eye.  “If you dare to order a salad or a low carb meal, I’m going to have to throw you in the lake!”
    “Whatever!  You should know me well enough to know I don’t eat low carb anything.  Heck, in Cosmo, they say that you should order the most expensive dish on the menu and not eat it, just to see what kind of guy you’re dating.”  Chris laughed at this point.  “But don’t worry, I’m crazy that way.  I only order something that I really would like to eat.”
    “Oh, you’re one of those real girls I’ve heard about.  One who actually tastes the food they order and can carry on intelligent conversation.”  Chris teased.
    They placed their orders.  While they were chatting, the waiter came and poured their wine.      
Chris raised his glass.  He paused for a moment, trying to find the right words.  “To giving romance a chance,” he smiled at her.
    Jess giggled.  “How about ‘To silly boys who finally wake up and see the girl next door?’”
    “Um, to beautiful women who give the silly boy a chance even if he’s been thinking about her for a long time and takes forever to ask her out.”
    Jess pretended to be weighing her options.  “OK, I’ve got it.  To friendship that’s become more than friendship with the possibility for more.”
    Chris looked directly in her eyes.  “To the way you make me feel.  To the two of us together (finally), to my dear friend who has become so much more to me and I hope will become even more.”      He reached out and tapped her glass with his before she could come up with another toast.  It didn’t matter, because she was sitting there, gazing at him with a rapt expression on her face.  She came to herself quickly and sipped her wine.  Chris held her hand and they gazed into each other’s eyes until their meal was brought out.
    They talked during their meal about everything and anything.  They were comfortable with each other again and could be themselves.  Part way through dinner, Jess looked up at Chris.              “Thank you.”
    “For what?” he smiled.
    She reached for his hand and gave it a squeeze.  “For letting me see the real you, not crazy Chris, not silly Chris, just Chris.”  
    He blushed.  “Just Chris can be a little boring.”
    She shook her head.  “No way.  You’re never boring.”

    When their meal was finished, Chris excused himself to go and take care of something.  He was acting rather secretive, so Jess knew he was up to something.  She decided just to let him have his fun.      Rather than stay sitting alone at the table, Jess got up and wandered through the gardens.  The flowers were captivating.  There were so many colours and shapes.  She stood for a few minutes looking out at the water.  She was startled to suddenly hear Chris’s voice behind her and feel his fingers in her hair.
    “Woman, do you know what you do to me?”  He growled as he drew her hair to one side.  He put his chin on her shoulder and  his arms around her waist.  
    Jess squirmed.  “No, but, I know what you do to me!  That beard of yours tickles!”
    Chris laughed and rubbed his beard into her neck.  “This tickles, huh?  I’ll have to remember that.”  
    Jess giggled and tried to get away from his beard.  She turned around to defend herself but stopped short when she realized they were now standing face to face, just inches apart.  She blushed and looked away from him, too nervous to look him in the eye.  Chris smiled, adoring the fact that she was so shy.  
    “Hey,” he whispered.  She looked up.  “I’ve been dying to do this all day.”  With that, he gently ran his fingers through her hair and brought her face up to his.  He lowered his mouth to hers.  Despite her seeming hesitation, she met him halfway.    
    The second that their lips met, fireworks exploded.  Literally.  Although the kiss was gentle and sweet and everything that a first kiss should be if it’s done right, the two of them broke it off fairly quickly because they were laughing.
    “OK, Chris, how did you possibly arrange that one?”  Jess giggled.
    “Me??  No way.  I’m good, Babe, but I’m not that good!  They do fireworks every Wednesday night.  We must just have impeccable timing.  Can we try that again?”  
    Jess didn’t answer him with words.  Instead, she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him down to her.  It was hard to kiss him with the huge grin on his face, but she did.  When they separated, both were a little weak-kneed.  Chris led Jess to a bench.  
    “Holly said this was the best place to view the fireworks from,” he told her.  Chris straddled the bench.  He swung Jess around so that she was sitting between his legs with her back leaning against his chest.  She snuggled back into him as he put his arms around her.  It was cozy and comfortable.  It felt like she was finally in the place she was meant to be.
    Jess sighed contentedly.
    Chris placed a kiss on the top of her head.  “Whatcha thinking?”
    She turned her head so she could see him.  “Happy thoughts.”
    “Good.”  
    They watched the fireworks exploding over the water.  They oooed and ahhh-ed at appropriate times, enjoying the colours and the music.  
    After a while, Chris’s curiosity got the better of him.  “So, are those happy thoughts about me?”  
    “Wouldn’t you like to know?”  Jess teased  “Hey, did you mean it before when you said that you had been thinking of me for a long time?”
    “Well, yeah.  I wouldn’t have said it otherwise.  I mean, I haven’t liked you forever or anything.  For pity sake, you were practically a kid when I met you…”
    Jess interrupted.  “Whatever!  I’m less than two years younger than you!”
    “Like I said,” he laughed.  “You were practically a kid when I met you.  And quit interrupting or I won’t tell you any more.  Now where was I?  I thought you were pretty when JC first introduced us, but wow!  You’ve been getting more gorgeous the last few years.  I’ve noticed and so have the other guys.  Man, I’m surprised JC even let us hang around you.  But you know what?  The truth is that being around you makes me happy.”
    Jess smiled.  “You really know how to make a girl feel special, Chris.”
    “So, do tell, how long have you been pining after me?”
    “First of all, I don’t pine.  OK, maybe I pine a little bit.  Oh, stop trying to confuse me!  It’s been awhile.  I remember when Josh introduced us.  I noticed your kind brown eyes.  Of course, I was pretty sure at that time that you were crazy.  But, after I spent time touring with you guys, and I got to know you better, I realized you weren’t really certifiable.  I’ve been interested in you for a while.  I don’t know when it started, but it’s been growing over the last couple of years.  It didn’t help that you had a girlfriend every time I saw you.”
    Chris interrupted.  “Wait!  Did you say a couple of years?  Why didn’t you say something sooner?”
    “Didn’t I just say that you always had a girlfriend?  I’m not the kind of girl to go in and try to break people up.  Besides, I wasn’t ready.  I needed that time to find myself.  I had to know who I was on my own.  It’s not like I’ve been sitting there moping over you for the last two years.  It started small.  One day, I realized how sweet you were.  I saw how you cared about people, and I fell for you slowly but surely.  Josh is the only person who knew.  He saw the way I looked at you once and he called me on it.  It is very annoying having a best friend who knows you so well sometimes.”
    “Hey, let’s not talk about Josh, OK?”
    “Sounds good to me.”
    The two settled back and watched the fireworks until they were finished.  Jess sat up and pulled out of Chris’s embrace.  She was starting to feel sleepy and didn’t want to doze off.  She looked at Chris and saw a mischievous grin on his face.
    “Oh no, what are you up to now?”
    He just smiled.  “You’ll see.”  He stood up and reached for her hand.  Some music started playing softly.  “I believe you owe me a dance, Miss.”
    “You may be right, sir.”  She agreed as he placed his arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him.  She revelled in the feeling of closeness.  Here was warmth and acceptance.  Here there was love…well, not love…it could hardly be love on a first date, could it?  Definitely caring.  There was caring.  
    Chris released her left hand and moved his hand to her face.  He tenderly brushed his fingers down her cheek.  Jess closed her eyes and sighed.  Chris couldn’t hold back any longer.  He placed gentle kisses on her cheeks, her forehead, her eyelids.  Just before the first song ended and the next began, he kissed her softly on her lips.  
    At first, Jess responded to his kiss and kissed him back, so Chris wasn’t totally prepared when she suddenly tensed up and pulled away from him.  
    “Jess?  What’s wrong?” he asked as he gently ran his fingers through her loose hair on her back.
    She had all ready placed her head in his shoulder, facing away from him.  “Um, nothing.  Could you just hold me for a bit?”
    “Sure,” he replied.  “Did you mean dance and hold you or just hold you?”
    She laughed.  “Whichever you like.”
    They danced to a couple more songs.  Then Chris stopped dancing and put his hand under her chin so he could look her in the eye.  “Look, why don’t we get out of here?”
    Jess didn’t make eye contact.  “Yeah, OK.”  She went back to the table to retrieve her purse and let Chris finish up the details.  As she bent to pick up her wrap, Chris passed her his cel phone.  
    “JC’s number 4.”  Jess looked up at him quizzically.  “Look, honey, I can tell something is bothering you and I thought maybe if you weren’t ready to talk to me about it, maybe you should talk to him.  I’ll wait for you outside, OK?”  
    Jess opened the phone and looked at it.  She sat staring at the phone for a couple of minutes before snapping it closed and slowly getting to her feet.  She found Chris outside with his back to her, looking out over the water.  Jess slid her arms around his waist.
    Chris pulled her around in front of him so he could hold her too.  “Hey,” he smiled.  “That was quick.”
    Jess laughed.  “Yeah, well, you know how Josh and I kinda know each other inside and out?”  Chris nodded.  “I didn’t have to call him because I knew what he’d tell me and he’d be right.”  She sighed.          “Chris, there’s some stuff I need to tell you, but not tonight.  I’ve had such a great day and don’t want to end it on a negative note.”
    “I can live with that.  Would you like to go for a walk?”
    “Sure, that would be nice.”
    Chris took her hand and they walked around for a couple of hours, just talking and enjoying each other’s company.
    When they finally made it back to the hotel, Jess was wearing Chris’s suit jacket to keep warm.  He walked her to her door and they stood awkwardly for a moment.
    “So,” Chris shrugged his shoulders.  “I really enjoyed our day, and I’d like to see you again.”
    Jess smiled.  “I had a great time too.  You’ll see me in the morning, remember?  I’m going on tour with you guys for a few days.”
    “That’s not what I meant and you know it, smart ass!” he laughed.  “Seriously, will you want to go out with me on a date again?”
    “Yes, I’d like that a lot.”  She tried, but she couldn’t wipe the grin off her face.
    “Great!  I know you’ll want to spend some down time with JC, but maybe we could spend a couple free hours together or something.”  
    “Sure, that would be great.”  She looked up into his eyes.  “What?”
    “Nothing.  I’m just thinking about how much I want to kiss you goodnight.”
    “Oh really?”
    “Well, not really, because that will mean that our date is over, but yeah, I’d really like to kiss you.”
    She took a step closer to him.  “I’m not going anywhere.”
    He grinned, “Yeah, so I noticed.  Come here then!”  He pulled her into his arms and closed his eyes, enjoying the closeness of her body to his.   “I had a wonderful time,” he whispered.  
    “Me too,” she replied.  She brought her lips up to meet his.  Again, they both felt the spark of their kiss.  They kissed each other gently and tenderly until Joey stumbled by them on his way to his room.
    “Get a room already!” he muttered at them.
    Chris stepped back and apologized.  “I’m sorry, that was supposed to have been a quick goodnight kiss.”
    “You’re apologizing for kissing me?” she asked defensively.
    “No way!  I’m not sorry I kissed you!  I’m only sorry that I kissed you like that in a place where others could observe and comment about it.”
    She smiled.  “OK, well that’s better then.  Oh, here, I still have your jacket.”  She shrugged out of his jacket and handed it back to him.  “Thanks!”
    “You’re welcome,” he smiled.  “Good night, Jessamyn,” he whispered and kissed her forehead.
    “Good night, Christopher,” she sighed.

Chapter 11 by PopDiva
    Chris knocked on the door a little louder than he had the first time.  He heard someone stumble towards the door.  "Good morning, Sunshine," he smiled as the door opened.  A frown immediately replaced his smile.
    "Nice to see you too, Chris," JC mumbled while he ran his fingers through his bed head.  "What's up?"
    "Uh, nothing.  Just checking to see if Jess wanted to grab some breakfast with me."
    "Oh, come on in.  She's not here, but I'm sure she left a note."
    JC held the door open for Chris to walk in.  Chris looked at his friend who was dressed only in boxers and a t shirt.  "You spend the night here?" he asked, immediately regretting it because he knew how jealous he sounded.
    JC chuckled,  "Yeah, but you have nothing to worry about.  It's tradition for us to dish with each other after a date.  She talked about you so long I fell asleep.  Must have been a good date, huh?"
    Chris smiled, "Yeah.  It was."
    "Here's the note.  It's addressed to you.  If you don't mind, I'm going to go crash in my own bed for a while."  JC opened the door between the two rooms and promptly fell onto his bed.
    Chris opened the note.  
    "Good morning, Chris.  I'm writing to you because I know how coherent Josh is first thing in the morning.  He probably stayed awake long enough to open the door for you."  Chris laughed.  It was insane how well these two friends knew each other.  "Anyway, I thought you might come around this morning and wanted to let you know that I went out for a walk.  I'll be back in time to get ready to go wherever it is we're going next.  I'll see you later!  Jess."
    Chris was disappointed, but he didn't let it get him down.  The bus trip would take at least six hours, and he was sure they could find some time to talk then.  He headed down to get breakfast.  

    Jess once again slowed her pace so she could dig out the map the concierge at the hotel had made for her.  She consulted the map, shoved it in her pocket, grabbed a water bottle out of her waist pack, took a long drink, put the bottle away and turned down the road that would lead her to the hotel.  She had a pretty good pace going, and arrived at the hotel shortly.  She went in through the back entrance and took the elevator up to her room.  She didn't want to be caught in the hallways all sweaty and gross.
    Just as she was approaching her room, she heard her name called.  She looked up to see Joey coming towards her.
    He put his arm around her shoulder, but recoiled when he realized how sweaty she was.  "Hey girl, what have you been doing?"
    She giggled.  "I wouldn't get too close if I were you, Joe.  I've been walking.  It's my new ‘thing'."
    "New thing, huh?" he smirked.  "I thought Chris was your new thang, especially with the way you two were going at it last night!"
    "Very funny, Joe.  We were not ‘going at it'," she replied, making air quotations,  "We were merely saying goodnight.  And, yes, walking is my thing.  It helps me keep my stress down and keeps me in shape.  I really enjoy it."
    "That's cool," he gave her a light punch to her shoulder.  "You're lookin' good, so it must be working."
    Jess laughed.  "Joe, you are such a schmoozer!"
    "What's this, your battery pack?" he asked as he reached out to tug on the strap fastened around her waist.
    "Don't I wish?  No, it's my walking pack."  She turned it around to show him.  "See, Gatorade and water, and a pouch for my keys and stuff."
    Joey shook his head.  "What will they think of next?"
    "Joe, don't you have somewhere to be?"
    Joey stopped to think.  "Yeah, I was supposed to get something for Kelly.  What was it now?"
    "You'd better think fast, Joe."  Jess laughed at him.  "How much time do I have before I have to be on the bus?"
    Joey consulted his watch, "Uh, forty minutes.  Chris is doing a radio interview this morning, and we're picking him up on our way through town."
    "Cool, I'd better get motoring then, I'll catch you later!"  Jess opened her door and tried to collect her thoughts.  She had a quick shower, got dressed in comfy travelling clothes (she had learned the importance of travelling comfortably from her previous time working on tour) and got her stuff all packed.  
    Thirty minutes later, she was checking over her room one more time to be sure that she had everything.  When the phone rang, she expected it to be Josh calling to check up on her and urge her to hurry out to the bus.  Instead, it was the front desk informing her that she had a package to pick up.  She grabbed her bags and banged on the door separating her room from JC's.  
    "Josh!  I'm going downstairs.  I'll meet you on the bus!" she called through the closed door, hoping he heard her.
    Jess rushed to the front desk knowing that she didn't have much time if she was going to get on the bus before the cut off time and avoid a lecture from the guys and security.  
    The clerk handed her a parcel and Jess bolted to the bus.  She sank into a seat between Lance and Justin as the bus driver started up the engine.  
    "Cuttin' it close again, huh Jess?"  Lance smiled teasingly at her.
    "Not my fault.  Got a call from the front desk just before I left," she responded.  
    "Whatchya got?"  Justin asked.  "Open it up!"
    Jess opened the bag and pulled out some tissue paper.  She reached in and pulled out a wrapped bunch of flowers.  "Daisies!"  She smiled.  "Someone knows me well!"
    Under the daisies was a box which she pulled out.  She opened the box to reveal a teddy bear which she recognized as the one Chris had been making the day before.
    "No way!"  Justin exclaimed.  "How did he ever find a bear that looks like himself?"
    Jess smiled, taking in the bear's clothing which was obviously chosen with purpose; it wore a black visor with red flames around the brim, a red and black sports jersey, dragon flamed shorts and black sneakers.  The bear even had his own surfboard and cool sunglasses.  It really did look like a miniature version of Chris, albeit more bearish.
    Lance laughed.  "He made it.  Chris told me all about Build-a-Bear.  Sounds like fun!"
    Jess smiled.  "It was fun.  I made one for him too."
    Justin reached into the bag.  "Hey, Jess, there's something else in here."  He pulled out an envelope with her name on it.  "Ooo!  A love letter.  Let's see," he started to open the envelope.
    "Like you would know a love letter if it bit you in the butt," Lance teased.
    Jess was too busy trying to retrieve the envelope from Justin to laugh.  "Hey!  That would be mine, young man."  She reached for it, but he just stood up and held it above her head.
    "Come and get it," he taunted.  
    "Justin, don't make me climb up there and beat the snot out of you, ‘cause you know I will!"
"Tell you what, Jess.  I'll make you a deal.  Promise to go on dates with the rest of us, and I'll give it back."
    She laughed.  "Very funny, JT.  Now just give it to me."
    "I'm not kidding, Missy!  You should know by now how close we all are.  If you date one of us, you date all of us."  
    "What?"  Jess shot a look at Lance.  "Is this a new rule?  I've never heard of it before."
    "Hey, don't ask me, you know Justin makes up his own rules," Lance laughed, "But I would like to go out with you sometime-don't get me wrong, I know you and Chris have something special, and I wouldn't want to jeopardize that at all, but you know, we're good friends, and I'd love to spend time with you without the other guys."
    Justin grinned.  "See!  I know Joey and JC will go for it too, so what do you say?"
    She sighed, trying to make it look like a huge imposition.  "Fine, Justin, I'll spend time with each of you, OK?  Now can I have my letter?"
    "Nope," he grinned smugly.  "Not good enough.  You have to go on a date with each of us."
    Her shoulders heaved up in frustration.  "Fine.  Date.  OK."
    Lance smacked Justin's arm, "Look, she agreed, now give it to her, Man!"
Justin rolled his eyes.  "Oh, all right!" and handed her the envelope and hovered nearby, hoping to get a chance to read over her shoulder.  
Jess turned to Lance.  "Where could a girl get some privacy around here?"
    "Uh, Joe and Kelly are in the living room.  JC's in one of the bunks.  Take any of the others."
    Jess picked up her knapsack, teddy bear and flowers.  She looked down at the flowers in her hand.  What was she going to do with them?
    "Let me take those for you, Jess," Lance reached out for the flowers.  "I'll cut the stems and then put them in with your roses.  Go find a bunk and crash.  I mean this in the nicest way possible, but honey, you look like you haven't slept for about a week."
    She shrugged.  "I haven't.  Thanks, Lance."  She gave him a hug and went back to the bunks.  Jess knew she didn't have the energy to climb into one of the top bunks that she normally preferred.  She dropped her bag, kicked off her shoes and crawled into the first lower bunk that she came to.  Curled up on the bed, she held the envelope in her hands, debating about reading it now.  She was too tired.  It would have to wait until later.

    Chris hopped up the steps of the bus about twenty minutes later.  His interview had gone well and he was looking forward to seeing Jess.  He looked around the bus nonchalantly.  Lance was over by the sink trimming back the stems on the daisies.  
    "She's in the bunks, Chris," Lance smiled over at him.
    Chris smirked.  "I'm that obvious, am I?"  Lance just nodded.  
    The bus started up.  Chris struggled to maintain his balance as he moved towards the bunks.  He stopped as soon as he saw Jess.  He just stood and stared at her.
    Kelly came through the sleeping area, headed to the kitchen, "Chris, are you OK?"
    "Huh?"  Chris was startled out of his reverie.  "Oh yeah, hey, Kelly.  I'm fine."  He sighed deeply.
    "Are you sure?  You seem a little spaced out."  Kelly was concerned.
    Chris smiled, "I'm good, Kel, really.  It's just, she's so beautiful when she's awake.  I forgot how angelic she looks while she sleeps.  She looks so sweet and peaceful."  Chris met Kelly's eyes, and she smiled too.  She squeezed his arm and continued towards the front of the bus.  Chris sighed deeply once more.  
    He jumped when something smacked him in the head.  He turned around and saw that JC had opened his curtain.  "Here man, write that stuff down.  Those are some good lyrics if I ever heard them!"  JC passed Chris a notebook and a pen and then closed the curtain again.
    Chris moved to sit on the edge of Jess's bunk.  Actually, it was his own bunk.  He saw that she had his bear tucked in her arms, cradled closely to her.  His letter was held tightly in her fist, and had not been opened yet.  Chris picked up the quilt from the bottom of his bed and spread it over Jess.  She wiggled a bit as she felt the warmth envelope her.  
    "Chris?" she murmured, her eyes only partially open.
    "Go back to sleep, Sweetheart," he whispered as he placed a kiss on her forehead.  
    A slow smile crept across Jess's face as she snuggled deeper into the blankets.  

Chapter 12 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's taken me so long to update. My characters were not co-operating, but I think I've got them back on track now. (fingers crossed!)
THWACK!
    Jess gritted her teeth and held in the stream of expletives she was dying to let out as she rubbed her head.
    "Break out the ice packs, Jess is up!" Joey called from the front of the bus. The rest of the guys laughed. Bumping her head on the bunk was not an uncommon experience for Jess. In fact, when she had worked on tour, one of the medics duct taped an extra pillow to the ceiling over Jess's bunk so she wouldn't get a concussion.
    "Don't you think you'd feel better if you just let loose and cussed up a storm?" Lance asked as he came back to check on her.
    "Probably, but I'd hate to ruin your image of me," she smirked as she rubbed her aching head.
    "Not likely to happen!" Lance laughed and dodged out of the way when he saw Jess's elbow coming at him.
    "Jessie-Bear," Chris cooed as he came down the aisle. "Are you OK? Show Doctor Chris where your boo-boo is." He sat on the bunk beside her and took her face in his hands.
    Jess groaned. "Thanks, Chris, but I'm fine."
    "No, you're not fine. Let me see so I can kiss it better," he pouted.
    She laughed. "Fine, Chris. It hurts here." She touched the spot at the top of her head where a lump was starting to form. He kissed it gently and then pulled back.
    "There, all better," he smiled. "Oh, wait, I think you got a bump here too." Chris tipped her head and kissed her nose. His grin turned mischievous, "And is that a bump there, on your lips too?"
    "OK, I'm out of here," Lance announced.
    Chris grinned, "Finally, I get you all to myself." He leaned in to kiss her.
    "Jess, here's that ice pack," Joey shouted. He caught the look on Chris's face. "Oh, sorry, man. Boy, is this ever going to be an awkward trip." Joey returned back to the front of the bus.
    Chris shrugged his shoulders and placed the ice pack gently on Jess's bump. "How's that?" he asked as he put his arm around her shoulder and drew her closer to him.
    "Freaking' cold!" she giggled. "Really, Chris, I'm fine." She tried to pull away, but he held her fast.
    "Just let the ice-pack do its work, OK? Besides, I'm enjoying holding you." He smiled.
    Jess laughed and let him have his way. They sat together for a few minutes, not saying anything, just enjoying the togetherness. Jess let herself melt in his arms and wasn't all that surprised when Chris leaned in to kiss her. She couldn't believe how right this felt, and that scared her. Her life up to this point was one giant screw up; with the exception of her friendship with Josh and her new-found career as a freelance writer, things didn't tend to go her way. The more she thought about it, the more she tensed up.
    Chris broke their kiss. "You're doing it again."
    "Doing what?"
    "You're selling yourself short, trying not to get your hopes up, trying to believe that you don't deserve any happiness in your life. You're totally over thinking this." He got up. She could see that he was hurt, maybe frustrated too. "Jess, I've got to tell you, I've got incredibly strong feelings for you, but if you don't believe good things can happen to you, how is this ever going to work?" He went back to the front of the bus.
    "Dammit, I've done it now," Jess muttered under her breath. A few tears slipped down her cheeks, but she ignored them and clung to her teddy bear. She heard a rustle from above and saw Josh's legs as he came down from the top bunk.
    "Hey," he said softly. "You know he's right."
    "I know," she whispered as she cried into his chest. "That's what makes it hurt."

    Chris had joined the others near the front of the bus. He reached out for the second game controller, and the look on his face told them to leave him alone. He challenged Justin and then Joey to a match. His eyes never left the screen, and his jaw was set in a determined way.

    Jess pulled herself together. She balanced herself carefully and splashed her face with cold water in the bathroom. It always drove her nuts that the back of the bus where the bathroom was located swayed so much. There was no way she was going to attempt to put on any make-up to cover up her tear stains. She didn't think it was worth the possibility of losing an eye.
    When she was satisfied that she at least looked a little better, she returned to the bunk to straighten it up. She did a double take when she saw the photos that lined the bunk. Figures. She had chosen Chris's bunk. She sighed and folded up the quilt. She smoothed the blankets out and refluffed the pillow. She moved her backpack and teddy bear to JC's bed and left the still unopened letter under Chris's pillow. She knew what she had to do, but she still had to get through the day. Later she would tell Josh and Chris. For now, they were almost at their destination, so she went up to the front of the bus and joined everyone else.
    Just as she was about to take a seat, the bus took a corner sharply. She was thrown off balance and landed smack in Lance's lap. Jess's face was bright red and everyone was laughing. She apologized profusely to Lance and tried to get up quickly.
    "No, stay here," he said quietly to her. "I've missed you."
    She laughed. "Lance, how could you possibly have missed me? You guys call me daily, email me constantly..."
    "You say that like it's a bad thing!" he teased.
    "I don't mean it that way. You know I love you guys. And, I've missed my little Lancey-poo too." She put her head on his shoulder.
    "Got plans for lunch?"
    "Nope."
    "Well, you do now. We're having lunch together. We'll grab something at craft services and find somewhere quiet where we can talk."
    "OK, sounds good." She got up and found her own seat next to Kelly's. The two girls talked for the remainder of the trip and made plans to see the show together from the audience that night. Jess hadn't seen this tour yet, and she wanted to see it as the fans did. She wasn't too sure about seeing Chris perform, but she decided she'd just have to suck it up.
    They arrived at the venue and everyone disembarked the bus. Kelly and Jess ran the gauntlet of fans with the help of the guys' security. A few fans noticed them, but most were only interested in the guys. They stayed outside for a few minutes signing autographs and giving hugs. When they came in, Lance strolled up to Jess and took her hand.
    "Come on girl, lunch awaits us," he smiled as he pulled her to the craft services area. She didn't see the jealous look that Chris shot Lance's way, and it was just as well.
Chapter 13 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
Just a short chapter tonight. More to come soon.
Lance and Jess went to the lunch buffet together. Before they found a place to eat, Lance looked down at her plate, "Jess, you have got to be kidding me. You are eating more than that." He took the plate out of her hand and added some more food to the half sandwich and carrot sticks she had.
"Lance," she whined, "I'm just not very hungry."
"First you're not sleeping, now you're not eating, what the heck is up with you?" Lance looked her squarely in the eyes.
Jess squirmed under his close scrutiny. "Who told you I wasn't sleeping?"
"You did, this morning. I said you looked like you hadn't slept in a week and you said you hadn't. Seriously, what is going on?"
"Nothing, Lance. I'm fine." She followed Lance down a corridor.
"You are not fine. Don't lie to me." He led her out into the arena and they found a couple of seats near the stage.
She sighed. "Lance, it's nothing, OK? I'm not sleeping well, that's it and if you don't mind, I'd really rather not talk about it."

In the meantime, Justin, Chris and JC got their food and sat at a table together. There was a little bit of tension between them, well, mostly between JC and Chris.
JC looked at him. "Chris, we're cool. I heard what you told her, and you're right and she knows it too. Give her some time, man."
Chris looked up with a sad expression on his face. "Thanks, man. You know I don't want to hurt her, right? I really...really-Jace, man, I love her." Chris's admission had surprised him, but it totally shocked JC and Justin. Their jaws dropped in tandem.
They certainly hadn't been expecting him to say that, not so soon anyway.
Chris saw their expressions and answered their questions before they could ask them. "No, I didn't tell her! I know she's not ready to hear it, but that's how I feel about her." He sat back with a slight smile on his face, lost in his dreams of Jess and their future together.

Jess and Lance talked about other things while they ate their lunch. She asked him about the current tour and what he was doing with his business and he asked her about her writing and getting her own place. They didn't talk about Chris, and Jess was thankful for that. All too soon it was time for Lance to report in for sound checks. He stood and held out his hand to Jess. She took it and allowed herself to be pulled into his hug. Lance brought his forehead down and touched it to hers.
"I'll see you later, Babe," he smiled.
"Yeah. Thanks for lunch, Lance."
"Anytime. You know I love spending time with my other big sis."
She watched him go and then went off in search of the person in charge of travel arrangements. She needed to get a flight out of here and back home tonight.

Chapter 14 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
You thought I'd forgotten all about this story, didn't you?  LOL.  Well, I didn't!  Here's the next one!
    Once all the arrangements were made, Jess went back out to the stage area to watch the sound check.  She found Kelly back there and they finally had a chance to talk privately.
    "So," Kelly bounced, "Tell me, tell me!"
    Jess just laughed.  "What do you want to know?"
    Kelly glared at her.  "You know what I want to know!  Tell me everything, but first, tell me about the kiss!"
    Jess got a faraway look in her eyes and smiled.  "I saw fireworks," she sighed.
    The two girls were enjoying a giggle over their discussion when Justin pulled them both onto the stage.  "Hey, girls" he said in his mic.  "Can I sing this next song to you?"  Justin flashed his big blue eyes at them.
    "I'd really rather you didn't," Jess replied.
    "Too bad," he shot back at her.  He started singing the opening lines of  "This I Promise You".  Jess pouted at him.  Why did he have to choose her favourite song?  Justin kept making faces at her, trying to get Jess to crack a smile and knowing that she could never resist his crazy faces.  The incongruity of the words and his expressions finally did make both girls laugh, and Justin let them go.    
    When he came backstage a couple of minutes later, Justin sought Jess out and asked her to have dinner with him.  She agreed somewhat reluctantly, and went out to the bus for a few minutes of peaceful solitude.  She had asked Josh to come and find her there when the sound check and meet and greet were done.
    About an hour later, JC found Jess laying in his bunk, writing in her journal and listening to music.  He tapped her on the shoulder and when her heart returned back to her chest, Jess turned off the music and talked with him.  
JC held her closely.  "If this is what you want, you know I'm behind you one hundred percent."
    "It's what I need to do, Josh.  Really.  And I need you to talk to Chris for me-not about this.  I'll tell him about this.  I need you to tell him about my past.  I can't, not yet.  But I know you're right, and I want him to know."
    "Jess, honey, if I thought it would really help you, you know I'd tell him in a heart beat.  This is something you need to tell him yourself.  I'll help you in any way I can, even if you want me to be there with you, but he really needs to hear it from you."  JC saw her look of disappointment.  He cupped her face in his hand.  "You know I'm only saying this because I love you.  You need to tell him so that you can get the closure you need and really move on from this."
    Jess frowned.  "OK, I'll think about it, Josh."
    "OK then."  The two friends held each other tightly and then released the hug.  "Hey, Justin said to remind you he's expecting you in craft services."
    "OK, I'll just get changed, and I'll go over there."

    It was funny, but in spite of all the people around them, Jess and Justin actually managed to have a fairly intimate dinner for two.  They were able to talk and hear each other and enjoy each other's company.  They talked about everything under the sun and enjoyed a few laughs as well.  Before she knew it, it was time for Justin and the others to go on stage.  Jess found Kelly and they made their way to their seats with the help of a couple of security guards.  A couple of people looked closely at both girls, trying to place them in the NSync universe.  One or two people looked like they might approach them, but no one actually did.
    The show rocked the house!  Even though Jess had seen every one of their tours more than once, she was totally surprised by this one.  The quality of the show the guys put on was unsurpassed.  It was neat for Jess to see all of the things the guys had told her about put together.  She and Kelly sang along and danced in their seats.  The guys made frequent stops near where the girls were sitting and gave them waves and winks galore.  Even Chris made a point of sending a couple of smiles her way.
    When the show was over, Kelly and Jess made their way backstage and to the vans.  The guys came out shortly after and they made their way to the hotel.  There were many fans outside, so they entered through the back door with a large contingency of security.  
    Jess and Chris had made eye contact on the ride over, and as soon as they cleared the elevator, they sought a quiet place where they could talk together.  Jess took a deep breath.  This was one of the hardest conversations she'd ever had to have before.
    "Chris, I'm going home tonight."  Chris made a move to interrupt, but she held up her hand.  "Please, I have to say this.  Chris, you were right I have a hard time accepting anything good in my life and I've realized there are some things I need to think about.  I need some time and space to be on my own.  But, I'm hoping when you come home in a few weeks you'd be willing to give me another shot."  She smiled at him.  "I'd really like to have a date with you.  I'll even make you dinner and we can just chill because I know how little of that you get to do on tour.  What was it you said?  You and me, maybe a little romance, see where it goes from there?" she smiled.
    Chris smiled back.  "It's a date."  He reached out and squeezed her hand.
    "Really?"
    "Really."  He pulled her to him, noticing once again how well their bodies fit together.  "Can I still call you?"
    "Um, yeah, but give me a few days, OK?  I really need some time alone.  I'm thinking of heading to the beach for a couple days and then I'll go home and get back to work."
    "Sure, I can give you a few days."  He squeezed her tightly and gave her a quick peck on the lips.  Jess turned and sped off down the hallway, not wanting him to see how upset she really was.

    She didn't need to knock on the door, because JC was waiting for her.  "How did it go?" He opened the door and ushered her in.
    She didn't answer him, so he held out his arms and let her throw herself against him.  He held her while she cried, knowing how much this was tearing her up inside.  Jess sniffled and pulled herself away from him.  "Let's just say it went.  I've got to go.  My flight leaves in a couple hours."
    Jess picked up her bags.  Josh took the heavy bag and walked with her to the door.  Jess turned around and put a restraining hand against his chest.  
    "Josh," she sighed, "I've got to go on my own, OK?"
    He looked down into her sad eyes and nodded.  "OK.  Love you."  He offered her a half smile.
    "Love you too."  She replied.
    They gave each other a kiss on the cheek, then she picked up her bags and walked down the hall.  
    JC closed the door slowly, not wanting to let her go, especially knowing how much she was hurting.  

Chapter 15 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
Two chapters in one night...will wonders never cease?
    About an hour later, there was a knock at his door.  JC was surprised when he opened it to find Jess standing there.
    "What are you-" he started.
    "Gonna let me come in?" she interrupted.
    "Sure," he smiled and stepped back to allow her to enter.
    Jess dropped her bags near the door and sat down on JC's bed.  JC stepped around her bags and sat next to her.
     "So, I was on my way to the car when Bryan stopped me and said Johnny needed to see me.  Turns out one of that because of the Oprah publicity, people want to book me to model and give talks and stuff.  The show hasn't even aired yet and people are calling Johnny.  He's offered to manage me for now and he asked me to stay on tour so I can do signings with you guys and stuff.   So, looks like I'm hanging around for a few more days."
    "How do you feel about that?"  Josh looked at her with concern evident in his eyes.
    She smiled, "I'm fine, Josh.  It'll be OK.  I've kinda got writer's block right now anyway, so this will give me an opportunity to do some freelancing for the teen magazines.  I'm sure I can sell an article about your Make a Wish visits if the two guests are interested.  If not, I'll just make up some crap about you guys and send it to the Enquirer."
    "You wouldn't dare!" he challenged.
    "Wanna bet?" she grinned.  "I'm a starving artist, gotta make me a living somehow!"  Jess laughed as JC pushed her back and tickled her.  She fought back, but he was taller and stronger.  She finally cried "uncle" and they lay on the bed next to each other, trying to catch their breath.  
    "By the way, Josh, there are no rooms left here tonight.  They gave my room away to someone on crew already, so you're stuck with me, Roomie."
    "No way," he whined.  "You steal the covers!"
    "Fine," she pouted.  "I'll go sleep with Justin or Lance.  I'm sure one of     them would be willing to share with me."
    "Oh, no, you don't!" he laughed as he reached out to grab her wrist.  "No way are you sleeping with either of those two, they are not the angels that they are portrayed to be in the media."
    Someone rapped out "Shave and a Haircut" on the door.  JC got up to answer it.
    "Hey C, wanna watch a movie or something tonight?"  Joey asked.  "Oh, man!  Do you have company?  I'm sorry to interrupt!  I'll talk to you in the morning," he winked and turned to leave.
    "No, Joe!  It's Jess.  You're not interrupting anything."  JC dragged Joey into the room.  
    "Hey, Joe!  Where's Kelly?"  Jess asked.
    "I thought you left!"
    "Yeah, well, that was the plan," Jess didn't bother to elaborate.  "So where's Kelly?"
    Joey shrugged, "She's on a date with Justin.  He somehow got it in his head that we all need to date each other's girlfriends.  Something about bonding or something, I don't really know.  All I know is he promised me a date with you, Sugar."  He grinned.
    "Great, now Justin's pimping me out?"  Jess shook her head.  "That boy is not right."
    "So," JC interrupted, "What movie do you two want to watch?"
    "You guys pick.  I'm so tired, I don't care what we watch.  Just promise not to wake me up when I fall asleep."  
    JC looked at her.  "Jess, exactly how much sleep did you get last night?"
    "Um, none."  She looked at the floor.  "I was too wound up with everything that happened.  I just couldn't sleep."
    "Girl, you've got to start sleeping.  You're starting to scare me."  
    "I'm fine, Josh," she replied in a tone that let him know the discussion was over.

    Joey and JC chose a movie and all three decided to change into pyjamas.  Joey went back to his room.  JC and Jess took turns in the bathroom.  She raided his duffle bag for a T-shirt and a pair of boxers as the pyjamas she had packed for her vacation were not conducive to co-ed sleepovers.  
    Joey came back with some popcorn and JC cracked open the bar fridge for some pop and bottled water.  While they got the movie set up, Jess crawled to the middle of the bed and arranged the pillows around her.  Joey got in on one side and after he got the movie started, Josh turned down the lights and got in on the other side.  All three got comfortable and watched the previews together.  
    Jess really was tired.  She tried to watch the movie for a few minutes but soon gave up and let her eyes drift closed.  She rolled to her side, clutching her Chris bear to her chest.  Her head lolled towards Joey's and she was fast asleep not ten minutes into the movie.  
    Jess enjoyed the best sleep she'd had in a long time.  In fact, if she had not been rudely awakened by Justin and Chris jumping on the bed the next morning, she would have slept the entire day away.
    When neither Joey nor JC answered their wake up calls in the morning, security got a little nervous.  They were able to reach Kelly who assured them that Joey was not there but that he had left a note saying he was going to be in JC's room.  JC's phone was off the hook.  Lonnie got the pass key and opened JC's door.  The sight before him made him laugh.  Joey, Jess and JC were sleeping all curled up together.  Jess was in the middle with her head on Joey's shoulder.  He was leaning protectively towards her.  JC was behind Jess with his head on her back, and an arm draped around her.
    Lonnie enjoyed a chuckle and pulled out a camera to snap a couple of blackmail pictures.  He heard Justin and Chris in the hallway, so he opened the door and beckoned to them.
    "Hey, guys, do me a favour and wake up Joe and Jace."  He gestured towards the room.
    Justin turned to meet Chris's eye, and they both grinned and ran into the room.  They both leaped onto the bed yelling, "Bonzai!"
    All three occupants of the bed sat up and yelled.  Justin spotted Jess first and wrapped her in his arms.
    "Jessie, babe!  I didn't know you were here.  We didn't mean to scare you, just the other two."  Justin paused and looked down at her.  "Hey, wait a minute, what are you doing here?"
    Jess glared at him.  "Justin Randall Timberlake, I swear if you ever, ever wake me up like that again, your ass will be mine!"
    "Ooh, do you promise baby?" he laughed.
Jess shoved him and broke contact with him.  "Don't push me, Child."
    "Yeah, don't push her, Justin," added Joey.  "What's the deal with you guys waking us up anyway?" he grumbled.
    "Dudes, we have a photo shoot in like half an hour."
    "So why did you wake me up?"  Jess asked.  "I'm not working this morning."  She flopped back down on the bed and tried to get comfortable.   
    JC leaned over her, "Hate to break it to you, Jess, but yeah, you are working this morning.  Johnny dropped off some stuff for you last night after you fell asleep.  It's some prep stuff he needs you to do for him."
    Jess groaned and pulled the covers over her head.  JC headed for the showers and the other guys slowly made their way out of the room.  Chris lingered for a minute before closing the door.  As much as he wanted to talk to Jess, he knew that now is not going to be the best time.
    After JC finished getting dressed, he woke Jess up.
    "Come on, Babe, wake up for me.  I've got to get going, and Johnny had all these instructions I was supposed to give you."
    Jess mumbled something unintelligible.  She was stubborn, but Josh was more so.  "Jess, I'm giving you two seconds, then I'm going to remove you forcibly from the bed and throw you in a cold shower.  Do you hear me?"
    "Yes," she replied, her voice all raspy from sleep.  "Fine, I'm up."

    Jess shook her head to clear it.  She looked down at the pile of folders and information that Josh had given her.  On top of it all sat a cell phone, a pager and her crew identification badge.  She didn't mind the badge, she already had one, but the phone and pager were a little out of her league.  She wasn't really the type of person who felt a need for people to be able to contact her 24/7.  Oh well, now she was on tour and Johnny and the powers that be had to be able to find her.  Since she was awake anyway, she decided to get her work done while the guys were busy so she could spend some time with them in the afternoon.  
    Her work didn't actually take long to finish, so a couple hours later Jess hit the local shopping mall with Kelly and Bryan in tow.  The first part of her meeting with Johnny the night before had to do with the necessity of having security with her at all times.  Johnny had heard about her walking around downtown Chicago and had nearly blown a gasket.  He wasn't really angry with her, he just wanted her to see how dangerous it had been for her to be alone when she was subject to all this media.
    The two girls had fun at the mall.  Jess needed to buy some clothes that would be more suitable for touring and hanging out with the guys.  Kelly was trying on a dress when Jess's cell phone rang-again.  The guys must have been bored during their activities, because they kept calling her.  Jess fielded two calls from JC, three from Lance, one from Joey (who wanted to talk to Kelly anyway) and two from Justin. They were really starting to annoy her, and then they stopped.  A little while later, her phone rang again.
    She let it fly this time.  "Look!  I told you fools to stop bugging me!  I will be back at the hotel when I am ready and not a minute before."
    "I'm sorry, then, I won't bother you," she heard the resignation in his voice.
    "Wait!  Chris?"  Jess felt like digging a hole and closing herself into it.
    "Yeah, it's me."
    "I'm sorry.  That little rant was meant for your four band mates, not for you.  Can we just go back to the beginning of the call and start again?"
    "Sure," she wasn't positive, but it sounded like he might be smiling.
    "Hello?" she laughed.
    "Hey, Jessie-bear, it's Chris.  How are you doing?"
    "Hi Chris!  I'm so glad to hear from you.  I'm having a great day, thanks for asking.  How are your interviews and photo shoots going?"
    "Actually, that was the reason I called you.  We are heading back to the hotel now and I was hoping that you might be able to spare me a few minutes of your time."
    Jess sighed.  "Oh, Chris, I wish I could, but Kelly and I have made plans with a couple of the girls on the crew."
    Chris ran his fingers through his hair.  "Well, OK.  You're still coming to the show, right?"
    "You betcha!  Actually, I'm going to be there for the meet and greet time with you and since Kelly's going home after the show, we're planning on being backstage tonight."
    "OK, cool.  Listen, come back to the dressing rooms and find me before the greet, OK?"
    "Sure thing.  We'll probably be back in an hour or so."

End Notes:
A

Chapter 16 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
finally, an update! enjoy!

Jess was wending her way through the corridors backstage, trying to locate the guys' dressing room. She and Kelly had met with Mary and couple of other girls on crew for coffee. They enjoyed quite a few laughs together before heading back to the venue.

She was getting frustrated by the labyrinth of electrical cables and props. It was when she took her eyes off the floor to check her surroundings that she tripped over a cord and nearly did a face plant into the floor.

"Whoa there! Watch your step, little lady," Justin said as he caught her arm to steady her.

"Thanks, Justin. That would have been painful," she laughed.

"No problem. Why are you wandering around aimlessly?"

"Oh, I'm not aimless. I'm aiming to find Mr Kirkpatrick. Any idea where he is? He told me to meet him back here. He's not in the game room, and he's not in craft and I can't find the dressing room."

He laughed, "Sure, come with me." Justin led her down another hallway that she hadn't seen on her recent rambles and stopped in front of a door. He rapped on the door. "You guys decent? Female entering!" Justin held the door open so Jess could enter.

"Hold on! I've still got my pants on," Chris hollered.

"And they'd better be staying on," JC responded. "None of us wants to see what's under those."

Chris and JC started wrestling and Jess and Justin jumped up on a couch to get out of their way. Justin looked at Jess and shrugged. "Well, there he is," he nodded to the two on the floor. "What do you say, now that you've seen him, don't you want to go for a younger guy?"

"Hmm, tempting," Jess laughed and scooted closer to him as the wrestlers got a little too close for comfort, "But I've kind of got my heart set on this one."

Justin stepped down. "OK, but this window of opportunity is closing fast!" He stepped between JC and Chris to separate them. "Chris, you've been whining all day about missing Jess, well here she is. Go talk to her before she gets smart and leaves." He pushed Chris towards the couch and shoved JC towards the door.

Chris beamed at Jess as he sat down beside her. "Hi honey, J's right, I have missed you all day." He leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on her cheek. "How was your girls' day?" he asked as he reached for her hand.

"Great! We had fun catching up. So, what's up? Was there something you wanted to talk about?"

Chris was confused for a second. "What? Oh, yeah. First off, I'm glad you stuck around," he smiled. "I would have missed you way too much!"

"Aw, Chris, you're too sweet."

He sighed, "Yeah, I know," and tried to hide his laugh. "Are you OK with being here? I know you wanted time to think."

Jess shrugged. "I'm OK. I didn't really want to leave, I just felt like I needed to. I don't know if I needed space to think, or just to know that I had options, or what, but right at this moment, I'm fine being here, especially being with you." She leaned her head on his shoulder.

They sat quietly for a few minutes, Chris stroked the back of her hand with his thumb. He turned and gave her a soft kiss on her forehead. "So, we're cool, right?"

"Yeah, of course we're cool. I have some stuff to work through, but we're cool."

"OK, I just wanted to be sure," he said as he stood up and reached into his pocket. "I had to tear my bunk apart to find something this morning and I found this under my pillow." He unfolded the envelope that he had given her the day before and gave it to her.

She took the envelope from him. "I, uh, I didn't read it yesterday because...well, partly because I fell asleep and partly because I'm afraid to know what is in there." She looked down at the envelope in her hands, avoiding eye contact at all costs.

"It's OK, Jess, I'm not upset. Just, do me a favour, OK? Tell the part of you that is afraid that it's all good stuff and you should read it later with Pat."

"Who's Pat?" If he had been trying to get her to look up at him, it worked.

"Jess," he said while shaking his head, "Didn't you read the adoption certificate that came with your bear? I named him Pat, you know, short for Patrick, from Kirpatrick, after me."

Jess giggled. "Pat, huh? Well, OK, I'll make sure I call him Pat from now on. Did you read your bear's certificate?"

Chris's brow furrowed. "Yeah, but I don't get the name. What is ‘Mynnie' for?"

"Chris, what's my name?" she asked while laughing.

"Duh! It's Jess." He rolled his eyes.

"What's my real name, Goofball?" she shoved him.

"Jessamyn..." he paused and looked at her. "And?"

"Yeah, that's right, my name is JessaMYN. Do you get it?"

Chris rolled his eyes yet again. "OK, I get it. And it's cute, just like you!" He leaned over and kissed the tip of her nose.

"Oh, Chris, that was just cheesy," she laughed.

He was about to retaliate when the rest of his band mates trekked into the room.

"Hey, guys," Justin smiled. "It's that time!"

"Oh, boy!" responded Chris as he giddily rubbed his hands together. "What the heck does that mean?"

"It means," said Joey, "That we get to go over what we can and can't say during today's meet and greet."

Chris sighed, "You mean I can't tell the story about the time we stripped Justin down to his boxers and made him run behind the bus?"

"Chris," Johnny shook his head as he entered the room. "It means that you two," he pointed towards Chris and Jess, "Need to decide what your official status is."

"But we've only been on one date!" Jess interjected. "That hardly qualifies as needing a status."

Johnny smiled at her, "Jess, my dear, one date with a member of this band qualifies as a status. Sorry to tell you, but you picked the wrong guy if you want to stay incognito. For today, I recommend you avoid the question all together, but if asked, Chris can say he's been dating a bit and Jess, you can say you don't want to discuss your personal life. Sound good?"

Joey saw the grimace on Jess's face. "Welcome to the world of celebrity, baby girl!" He mussed her hair up.

Jess whined, "All I want to do is write. I don't want to be a celebrity."

"Look at it this way," Joey smiled. "If you do a few ‘celebrity' gigs, you'll be able to afford to sit at home and work on that novel you've been talking about."

"Joey," she laughed. "You make an...an interesting point." Jess took a minute to try to find the right words, but Lance beat her to the punch.

"Joey, she's an artist, man. She wants to work her way up, make it on her art alone, kinda do the starving artist thing."

"Yeah, something like that, Lance." She laughed. "I don't want my work to be read because I'm popular, I want it to be read because it's good on it's own, you know?"

JC put an arm around her shoulder. "Don't worry, Jess, everything will come together the way it's meant to be." He gave her a hug, "Besides, you are a fantastic writer, and I have always thought so."

"Aw, thanks, Josh," she gave him a squeeze.

The five boys headed down the hall to start the meet and greet while Jess stayed behind and got a few more pointers from Johnny. She followed them a few minutes later, with Bryan at her heels.

Jess stood outside the door for a minute, trying to steel up her courage to go in. She took a deep breath, opened the door and tried to sneak in unobserved. Of course, since she was followed by a burly security guard, obscurity wasn't an option. Every head in the room turned to look at her and she silently wished the floor would open and swallow her up.

Justin motioned her to come forward. "Hey, it's Jess! Come on up here, Girl, I'm sure there are some questions for you too."

Jess slowly made her way towards the front of the room and accepted a quick hug from Justin. "Relax," he whispered. "Just go with the flow."

The moderator asked the crowd, "So, who has a question for Jess?" Jess was surprised that there were quite a few.

"Is JC a good kisser?" Jess laughed at this one. She looked at JC as if trying to evaluate his skill, but finally turned away and admitted the truth. "I have no idea. I've never kissed him. In the video, we look like we're going to kiss, but if you notice, we never did."

JC interrupted. "Jess!" he whined. "You were supposed to say that I'm a fantastic kisser. You're going to ruin my rep!"

Jess laughed and rolled her eyes. "Whatever! I'm not getting close enough to find out. Besides, I'm sure there are lots of girls here who wouldn't mind proving your theory right." Quite a few screams proved Jess was right and JC had the decency to blush just a little.

"Can you say ‘out and about'?" someone asked.

"Do I have to?" Jess asked. "I don't know why you all think it's so funny. I say it exactly the way you do!"

"No, you don't, Jess!" Joey laughed. "You're so Canadian you can't say it without it sounding like ‘oot and aboot.'"

"Fine, if I have to. Out and about." Everyone cracked up laughing. "I still don't think I sound any different than you."

"Now say, eh? For us," Joey smiled.

"No," Chris shook his head. "That one only sounds right when she says it unconsciously."

"What are you talking about? I don't say eh."

All five of them laughed. "Yes, you do!"

Jess just shook her head. There was no use trying to argue with all of them at once. She wasn't going to win that battle.

There were more questions for the guys and the last question of the day was funny. "Which one of you smells the best?" All of them declared themselves as the best smelling and asked Jess to back them up. Chris asserted that his nose worked the best, so therefore he smelled the best. Nobody accepted his answer.

Jess was called upon to give her "unbiased" opinion. "You want to know who smells the best? I think it would be easier to tell you who doesn't smell the best. I mean, they all have their moments, especially after performing for a couple of hours because as we all know, there is no deodorant that is going to stand up to the workout these guys do." She pretended to think about it. "OK, I'm going to have to say it's a five way tie. They all smell pretty funky, but if there are any beans on the menu, Joey totally out stinks everyone else."

"Hey!" Joey was about to chase after Jess, but all four of the other guys backed her up.

"It's true, Joe, you might as well accept it and move on."

Joey shook his head and reluctantly accepted his new title of smelliest in the bunch. He led the way to the tables where they would be autographing pictures. Jess was placed at the end of the line with a stack of pictures from the video to sign. She sat next to JC so they could both sign the picture of them.

By the end of the meet and greet session, Jess was wiped out. "I don't know how you do that before every show," she commented. "I mean, all I did was sign my name and talk to people and I could go to sleep right now. You guys have to do a whole show still."

"That's just because you're an introvert, and we're mostly extroverts," Chris shrugged. "Introverts can be outgoing, but it takes a lot of energy to do it. We're extroverts, so we get energy from being around people and stuff."

"And of course, the pixie sticks don't hurt either," Joey commented.

"Too true," Chris laughed. He turned to Jess. "I have to go get ready, babe. I'll see you after the show." He gave her a quick kiss before he left.


Chapter 17 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
I finally finished this chapter.  It's taken a while because the charaters did not want to work with me.  They kept taking the plot to different places and I had to bring them back again.  Hopefully the next update won't take so long!
    Jess and Kelly hung out backstage during the performance.  They spent part of their time behind the scenes, watching all the chaos that went into making the show so spectacular; the rest of the time they sat in the dressing room and talked.  
    From time to time one or more of the guys would run in for his quick change between sets.  When Chris came in the first time, he placed a quick kiss on Jess's cheek while running by her.  She laughed as she wiped the sweaty spot he left behind.
    "You did <i>not<i> just wipe off my kiss, did you?"  Chris teased as he changed shirts.
    "Not the kiss," she giggled, "Just the extra perspiration.  Of course, if I planned that right, I should have wiped it on a towel and listed it on eBay."
    Chris shook his head.  "If you want to eBay something, give them Lance's phone number and address.  He won't mind."  
    "Hey!"  Lance hollered as he ran by them.  
    Chris leaned down and kissed Jess again, lingering against her lips until he had to leave.  "Did you read it yet?" he asked as he pulled away.
    "Not yet, I was waiting until I had some time alone."
    "OK.  Just don't forget."
    "I won't!" she called after him as he ran out of the room.
    Just before the end of the show, Bryan came to escort Jess to the bus.  She said goodbye to Kelly and the two girls promised to keep in touch and get together again as soon as they could.  

    Jess had barely cleared off a spot and gotten settled on the couch when the JC came hopping up the bus steps.
    "Hey, Chicky.  How are you?" he laughed.
    "I'm fine, but you seem to be bouncing off the walls," she couldn't help but laugh in return.
    "I am, indeed," he grinned as he sat down beside her.  "Whatchya doin'?" he asked as he bounced in his seat.
    She rolled her eyes.  "Why do I have the feeling that you're going to tell me?"
    Lance thumped up the bus steps next.  "So, did you tell her?"
    "When have I had the chance, Lance?" JC responded sarcastically.
    "Oh no, what are you guys up to?"  Jess looked more than a little leery.
    "What makes you think we're up to something?" Justin asked as he followed Lance.
    "Because, Justin, dear, I've known you all for far too long to not know when you're up to something," she shook her head.  "Honestly, you guys don't do subtle very well.  Would one of you just tell me?"
    "Sheesh, well if you're gonna be that way about it, maybe we'll just leave you alone," Justin rolled his eyes, pretending to be offended.
    "Fine with me.  Good night, guys."  Jess stood up and headed for the bunks.
    "Not so fast there, you!"  JC wrapped an arm around her waist before she got too far.  "We're playing truth or dare.  You've never played with us and we thought it would be fun."
    "Oh boy," Jess replied cynically.  "Can't wait.  Surely there must be other things we can do."
    "Sure there are," Lance smiled, "But we're not doing them."
    JC, Justin and Lance got things together to prepare for their late night game.  Jess looked on, feeling her stomach tie up in knots.  She'd heard rumours about their games and she really wasn't looking forward to participating.  When Lance pulled a cooler out of the fridge for her, she was glad to take a long swig of it.  Hopefully the alcohol would help her relax.
Joey and Chris soon joined them, and bus got underway.  Jess was on one bench, between Joey and JC.  Chris, Lance and Justin sat across the table.          The game started off at a leisurely pace with fairly innocuous questions about first crushes or kisses and simple dares.  Jess felt herself relax.  If this was all they were doing, she was going to be fine.  
    It was Joey's turn.  "JC, truth or dare?"
    JC smirked, "I got nothin' to hide.  Truth."
    Joey grinned archly and rubbed his hands together; he'd obviously spent some time working on his question.  "OK, Jace, this afternoon at the greet, Jess said she'd never kissed you before.  Other than the friendly kisses we've all seen you share, have you ever kissed Jess?"
    JC actually blushed.  In truth, he was more embarrassed for Jess than for himself.  "Uh, one time, I kissed her-yeah, once, just once!  She was complaining that she'd never been kissed, so I kissed her and it was the most awkward thing I've done in my entire life."  He buried his face on the table.
    Justin and Joey cracked up laughing.
    "Gee, thanks, Josh.  Kissing me was the most awkward thing?"  Jess shoved his head off the table.
    "You know what I mean!" he retorted.  "The minute our lips touched, it felt funny.  We both knew we were only ever going to be friends and we laughed about it."
    "Of course we laughed.  Given the fact that I had no idea it was coming, and we banged our heads together, it was pretty darn funny."
    "Just to reassure you, Jess, there is nothing awkward about the way you kiss," Chris winked at her across the table.
    "OK, too much information!" Lance cried.  "Quick, C, who is your victim?"
    JC's eyes met Jess's.  "Truth or dare, babygirl?"
    Shit.  She saw the look in his eye.  She was in trouble.  He was up to something.  She usually chose truth because she'd rather answer an embarrassing question than have to do something horrible.  She thought she'd fake JC out so she swallowed hard and blurted, "Dare!"
    JC merely grinned.  That wasn't the response she had hoped for.  He had her right where he had wanted her all along.  "All right then, I dare you to tell Chris what happened that makes you scared of relationships."
    Her face paled.  Her stomach fell.  This couldn't be happening.  Her best friend wouldn't do something like this to her.  
She glared at him.  "JC, that isn't fair."
    If she hadn't been so angry and terrified, she would have laughed to hear Justin say, "Oh shit, she's pissed!  I've never heard her call him JC!"
    JC got up from the table and drew her with him.  He tried to take her hand.  She pulled away.  He met her eyes and she saw the sadness there.  He took her hand again, holding it between both of his.  "Jessie, I'll be right here. We all love you, and I know you want to talk about it."
    Chris stood up.  "Jess, you don't have to do this.  When you're ready, we'll talk.  You don't have to prove anything to me tonight."
    Jess turned back to the group at the table and gave Chris a forced, teary-eyed smile.  She shook her head, "No, it's OK.  He's right, I do want you to know, all of you."
    Chris slowly sat down again, "Only if you're sure, OK?"
    Jess nodded, "OK."  She took her spot next to Joey and took a couple of deep breaths to help her gain control of her tears.  JC squeezed her hand.  She looked at him.  "Where do I start, Josh?"
    "Wherever you want, sweetie."
    She nodded, took another deep breath and started.  "OK.  You know when Josh had that family emergency and had to leave the tour for a couple days, back when you first started touring here?"  She scanned the group and saw them nodding.  "I was the emergency.  Josh came to be with me."  Jess saw the surprise register on their faces.  "Um, uh, I was in the hospital and Josh was listed as my emergency contact, and he came to be with me."  She took a shivering breath, trying to keep her head.  Joey saw her pained expression and squeezed her shoulder, letting her know he was with her and that he cared.          
    "I was in the hospital because...wait, I'm going to have to go back farther first." Jess pinched the bridge of her nose.   "Well, shit.  You probably guessed by the fact that I never talk about it that I had a fucked up childhood.  My family was the dictionary definition of dysfunctional.  I never really knew my mother; my father told me she left us when I was a baby, which may or may not be true.  My father was a piece of work on his own.  He acquired the knack of finding women who would take care of us, figuring that they'd be the one to tame him and complete our ‘happy' little family.  He wasn't a nice guy and I really don't want to talk about it, but when he up and left me with my third stepmother, I was sixteen and I wasn't surprised.  I was used to being a kid that no one wanted; I was like that old piece of furniture that wouldn't fit in with the décor in the new house, so you just leave it behind when you move.  Problem is the new owners don't know what to do with the furniture either, so it gets put out on the curb.  Barb didn't throw me out, but she made sure that I knew that she didn't really want me either.   So, when this new guy a couple years older than me moved into our building and started paying attention to me, I ate it up and didn't notice the red flags that someone less naïve definitely would have picked up on.
    "We went out a few times and our relationship got very physical very quickly.  He kept pushing me to do more than I wanted to.  I was always able to stop things before they went too far until the night he put me in the hospital."  She wiped her sleeve across her eyes, not noticing the horror on the men's faces.   Jess took a deep breath and started to sob.
    JC pulled her close.   "It's OK, Jessie, it's OK."  He rubbed her back in a slow circular motion, trying to calm her.  "Do you want me to take over?"
    Jess shook her head slowly.  "No," she whispered, "Just give me a minute."
    Joey reached over and pressed a tissue into her hand.  Jess accepted it.  "Thanks, Joe," she murmured before drying her eyes and blowing her nose.  "OK, I'm good," she sat up a bit straighter, allowing JC to slide his arm around her to keep contact with her.  "Where was I?  Oh yeah.  We had gone out on a date, and when we got back, he walked me to the door.  He knew there was no one home, and he forced his way in.  I tried to get him to leave, but he wouldn't go.  He kept making advances, and I kept pushing him away.  Then he snapped.  He slapped me, called me a tease and threatened me.  I knew that he wasn't playing games, and I tried to fight him off, but he overpowered me and then he...and then..."  She fell back into JC's embrace, letting him envelope her in the safety that she always found when she was with him.  "I can't," she whispered.  "Josh, I can't."
    JC placed a gentle kiss on her temple.  "It's OK, babe," he whispered.  He made eye contact with the others over her head.  "He beat the shit out of her and then tried to rape her.   He'd beaten her so badly, he thought he'd killed her, so when he heard Jess's phone ring, he up and left her for dead."  JC's voice was strained under all the emotion.  "Jess woke up, managed to find the phone and dialled 911 before she passed out again.  By the time they called me and I could get there, she'd gone through all the police tests and reports and was all bandaged up and in rough shape," JC sobbed.  "She was hurt so bad and it broke my heart to see her like that."  JC buried his face in Jess's neck as the two of them let out their still raw emotions about what had happened.
    The guys had been silent and they stayed so for another moment.  Then Chris sprang to his feet, knocking into the table with a clatter.  "I've got to get out of here," he muttered as he shoved past the others.
    Later, Justin and Lance would swear that they had heard Jess's heart shatter at that exact moment.  
    JC looked at Joey, silently asking him to protect Jess.  Joey nodded and eased her out of JC's arms and into his own.  "Come here, Jessie, I've got you."
    Jess curled into Joey, burying her face in his chest.  He held her close, smoothing her hair and crooning calming words in her ear.  
    JC quickly followed Chris.  Justin had seen the look on JC's face and was not far behind them; he knew things were not going to go well between them.  Lance felt like the third wheel, so he got up to get Jess a bottle of water from the kitchenette.  As he opened the fridge, he heard a scuffle going on in the back and decided to investigate.  
    When he poked his head through the curtain, Lance saw that JC had Chris pinned against the wall by the scruff of his shirt.  Justin was doing his best to pull JC off Chris.
    "What the hell is your problem, Chris?  She shared the thing that she's kept bottled up inside of her for so long and you up and leave?" JC was furious.  It was a good thing Justin was holding him back.
    "What did you want me to do, Jace?  I was ready to explode!  I can't believe how much anger that I feel right now.  What kind of guy could do that to a woman?  How could he hurt my Jessamyn, let alone hurt her so badly that she's afraid of me?  I know, Jace, I know why she got so tensed up when I held her closely.  She's afraid, she's afraid I might hurt her, isn't she?"
    "Hell, yes, she's afraid.  Nothing in her life has been easy or turned out well, and she's afraid that nothing ever will.  And how the hell do you think she feels now, seeing you run out angry after she tells you her life story?"  JC asked calmly.
    "What do you mean?"  Chris was bewildered.  "I'm not angry with her, why would I be angry with her?  I'm angry with the so-called man who could do that to her."
    "That's not what she thinks," Lance interjected.  
    "What?"  Chris's jaw dropped.    
    "I just heard her telling Joey that she didn't blame you for being mad at her.  She said that she should have known that a relationship with you was too good to be true."
    JC loosened his hold on Chris's shirt as Chris's knees buckled and he slid down the wall to the floor, mirroring the tears that were sliding down his cheeks.  He ran a hand through his mussed up hair.  Only two words escaped his lips, "Oh.  Shit."

Chapter 18 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
For reasons which will become apparent, I've nicknamed this the "Oh.  Shit." chapter.  LOL.  Trust me, it works.  Feedback is of course always appreciated.  Thanks to everyone who has stuck around.  It's taken me a lot longer than I anticipated!
"Oh.  Shit."  Chris's words hung heavily in the air like smog on a hot Californian afternoon.  The words were so thick and leaden that JC felt as if he was trying to breathe through a straw; he couldn't get enough air.  What had he done?  He had thought he could help his Jess; instead, he'd made things worse than ever.  Right now she probably felt heartbroken by Chris's actions, and she most likely felt betrayed by his own.

"Oh.  Shit."  He felt the words close in on him and cloud his vision, making everything indistinct and blurred.  He barely felt Lance roughly push him into a seat before he almost lost contact with reality.

~~~~~

"Oh.  Shit."  Lance saw JC blanch and start gasping for air.  He was hyperventilating, so Lance took matters into his own hands and forced JC to sit.   He shoved JC's head down between his knees.  "JC, listen to me.  Focus, Jace.  You need to keep breathing.  Come on, breathe in.  Good, now breathe out."  Lance was relieved to see the colour start to return to JC's face.  "That's right, JC.  Everything will be fine, but if you pass out, you're going to be useless, so keep breathing."

~~~~~

"Oh.  Shit."  Chris dropped his head onto his knees in complete and utter defeat.  He had told her that he would try to never hurt her, and yet look what had happened.  How could she think he'd be angry with her?   Sweet Jessie, it was no wonder she had such a skewed view of life; it made sense that she didn't like to get her hopes up, but now how was he going to help her to see that he cared for her, that he truly loved her?

~~~~~

"Oh.  Shit."  Justin watched Chris fall to pieces in front of him.  He wasn't sure how things were going to work out, but he knew that any solution had to start with Chris.  He lowered himself down beside Chris and nudged him.

 "Hey, what are you doing?"  Chris lifted his head and gave Justin a look.  His eyes were rimmed with red, and he had tears falling down his face.  What did it look like he was doing?   Justin grabbed Chris's elbows and pulled him up to a stand.  "What you should be doing is getting your ass in there and talking to her.  You have to tell her the truth, Chris."

"Oh, and just how do you propose I do that?"  Chris asked sarcastically.

Justin gave Chris a shove towards the front of the bus.  "Listen, smartass, just tell her that it's a misunderstanding, that you're not mad at her and take it from there."

"What if she doesn't believe me, Jus?"

Justin put a hand on Chris's shoulder.  "She will, Chris.  I know she will."

~~~~~

"Shh, honey, you've got to calm down for me.  Please?"  Joey rubbed Jess's back gently.

She snuffled and wiped the back of her hand across her eyes.  "I'm t-trying, Joe," she took a shaky breath.  "I'm trying."

"I know you are sweetie," he kissed her temple and held her a little tighter.  

"I just wish he didn't hate me, Joe," she whimpered.

Joey shook his head.  He pulled her away from him, tugging her chin up so she had to look at him.  "Jessie, look me in the eyes, sweetheart."  She reluctantly met his gaze.

Joey wiped a tear from her cheek, "Jess, I know for a fact that Chris does not hate you."

"What makes you so sure?"  She blinked, trying to hold back her tears.  "H-how do you know?"  More than anything, she wanted to be able to believe him.

"Because--," Joey started.

"Because, I could never hate you," Chris finished softly.

"Wh-what?" Jess was afraid to look at Chris, afraid to hope.

Chris knelt in front of the couch Jess and Joey were sitting on.  He hesitantly reached out to touch her cheek.  "My sweet Jessie-bear," he smiled softly as he stroked her face.  "I am so sorry that I made you think I was angry with you."     

Jess's breath came in gasps as she tried to stop crying.  She tightened her hold on Joey's shirt, not willing to let go of her security just yet.  "Y-you-you're not m-m-mad?"

"Not with you, sweetheart, never with you," Chris kissed her forehead gently.  "I was so angry about that guy and what he did that I decided to leave so you didn't see me explode.  I never dreamt that it looked like I was mad at you."

"Well, it did, you idiot!"  She smacked him in the chest.  "I can handle emotions, Chris, you didn't need to hide how you were feeling from me."  It was hard to tell if she was angry or not.  Chris was guessing she was.

"Just like you didn't need to hide your feelings from me?" he retorted.

"What are you talking about?   When have I ever hidden feelings from you?"

"How about when you were willing to jump on a plane this week and run away?  Or how about when I asked you what was wrong and you wouldn't tell me?"

"Uh, guys?  Can I get up now?"  Joey interrupted.

"No!" they both turned and yelled at him at the same time.

Jess turned back to Chris.  "That's totally different.  I let you know I was scared and confused.  Just because I didn't want to talk about it doesn't mean that I hid it from you.  I freely admit that I try to bury my feelings and run away from my problems, but I know it never works, and I'm trying to change.  I'm sorry that you think I was sending you mixed messages or hiding from you."

Chris heaved a large breath, "No, honey, I'm the one who should be apologizing.  I'm sorry I just picked a fight with you.  I don't know what is wrong with me.  I guess I have felt like you were trying to hide from me."

"Aw, you two are so sweet, it's making me sick!"  Joey chimed in.  "Since I'm stuck here, let's get it over with.  He's sorry, she's sorry, now kiss and make up already!"

Jess moved away from Joey's arms.  "Joe, you know I love you, but I think it's time for you to go.  We can handle this from here."

"Are you sure?" He wasn't going to move unless she was.

She smiled, "Yeah.  But thanks for being here for me."

Joey bent down and kissed her, "Anytime, sweetheart, any time," and left the two alone.

Chapter 19 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:

Heavens!  An update!!  It's been awhile, but it has taken me some time to figure out where this story is heading.  Now that I know, hopefully I can get writing and finish this puppy up.  Thanks for sticking with me :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Jess looked down at Chris kneeling in front of her.  "Could you get up please?  You're making me nervous!"

Chris suddenly became aware of his position and laughed, "Don't worry, I'm making me nervous too!"  He stood up, but didn't know quite where to place himself.

"You can sit beside me, I won't freak out," Jess smiled shyly and patted the seat Joey had just vacated.  "Besides, I could really use a hug if you don't mind."

"Of course I don't mind!"  Chris sat down, leaned back and got comfortable before pulling Jess into his arms.  Both breathed deeply in contentment as she laid her head on his chest.  Chris smoothed down her hair, continuing to stroke her head and helping her to start to relax for the first time since their ill-fated game had started.

"Jessamyn, I know you've been through hell tonight, but there's something I need to know."

Jess took her time responding.  She concentrated on Chris's heartbeat, tapping his chest gently with the pad of her finger in time to his heart.  She sighed tiredly, "I'll make you a deal.  I'll answer one question tonight and then if you have any more, can we talk tomorrow?"

He shrugged, "Sure, honey, that sounds fair."  Chris sucked up his courage, not sure that he really wanted to have his question answered.  He ran his hands up and down her back, trying to cover his nervousness.  "OK, so I have to know, are you...are you afraid of me?"

Jess lifted her head and met his timid gaze, "What? Chris, no!  Why would you think I'm scared of you?"

"Well, now that I know what happened to you, I can't help but wonder if you tensed up on me before because you were worried that I could hurt you like he did."

 "Oh, Chris!" Jess felt terrible.  She reached up to cup his cheek.  "No, sweetheart, I'm not afraid of you.  I know you aren't going to hurt me physically.  Truthfully, being with you is one of the few things that makes me feel safe.  I get edgy because I'm certain things are going too well and  aren't going to last-they never do."

He noticed that she had specified physical pain only, but he let her comment slide for the moment.  He knew she was emotionally wrung out and could not handle another dramatic conversation this evening.  Instead, hugged her, squeezing her so tightly she giggled.  "OK, so we'll talk tomorrow?"

"You bet."  She smiled, "I need to talk to JC and the other guys, and then I'm going to bed."

"Sounds like a plan.  Why don't you take a minute for yourself and I'll send JC to you?"

"OK."  Jess reached out to grab Chris's hand as got up.  She pulled him back to her and kissed his cheek.  "Thanks, Chris."

He smiled as he ran the back of his fingers up and down her cheek.  "Anytime, sweetheart."

************

JC warily made his way back to the front of the bus.  Chris had said that Jess was fine, but he wouldn't be reassured until he had seen her with his own eyes.  He found Jess pacing the aisle, stretching her arms over her head.

She caught him in the her line of vision and turned to him, holding her arms out.  "I love you, Joshie."

He let her fold him in her hug.  "I love you too, Jessie.  I'm sor-"

"No!"  Jess reached up and covered his mouth.   "Don't you dare apologize!  Thank you for helping me to finally tell them, I never would have done it without you.  The truth is I wouldn't even be alive today if it wasn't for you, so don't feel bad for helping me to do what needed to be done."

JC cupped her head to his chest.  "You're stronger than you know, baby girl," he whispered hoarsely, afraid that he might start crying again.

They held their embrace for a few minutes, each gaining strength from the other until Jess broke the silence.  "Josh, I am so tired.  I hate to ask you another favour, but could you please talk to the guys for me about what happened after the fact?  I really can't go through explaining it all tonight."

"Sure, hon, I'll tell them.  Don't worry about asking me to do this for you, OK?  Talking about it is actually going to help me too."

She nodded slightly, "OK.  Thank you.  Now I guess I'd better go say good night to those guys before they start worrying about me."

Jess had barely parted the privacy curtain before Joey hollered her name and grabbed her into a big bear hug.  He suddenly pushed her away, holding her at arms' length so he could get a better look at her.  "You OK?  You want something to eat?  Want some pasta and sauce?  Some fruit?  You look hungry."

Jess laughed and put a hand out to stop Joey from opening the fridge.  "Joe, I'm good, but thanks."

"OK," he smiled sheepishly.  "Sorry, you know the Italian need to feed to feel better always gets me!"

"It's OK, but, I'll take a rain check on some Joey cuisine!"

"It's a deal!"  he laughed.  "When I get back to Orlando, you are totally coming over for dinner."

"Sure," she smiled.  "It's a date."

Jess turned from Joey and was surprised to be almost smothered by Justin.  He didn't say anything at first, just held her close, rubbing her back and burying his head in her neck.  "I'm so sorry," he whispered, his voice heavy with unshed tears.  

She wanted to tell him that he had nothing to be sorry for, to tell him that she was going to be fine, to tell him how much his friendship meant to her, but she just didn't have it in her tonight.  Instead, she broke away and moved quickly to Lance.  She allowed him only the briefest of hugs and went down the aisle to the bunks.

There she found Chris sitting on the edge of her bunk, with the bedding pulled back, just waiting for her to get in.  Chris patted the bed.  "Sit down, I'll tuck you in."  She did as he asked and he leaned down to pull off her shoes.  He stood back and pulled up the covers as she lay down. He tucked Pat under her arm and made sure the covers were up to her chin.

"Goodnight, sweetheart," he whispered as he leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"Will you stay until I fall asleep?" she asked drowsily.

"Of course."  He lay on his side to fit into the small bunk with her.  She turned her back to him so he could spoon her.  As he put his arm around her, he commented, "Geez, sweetie, you're so tense!"  He rubbed her shoulders, trying to help her relax a bit.  "You were starting to loosen up before, what happened?"

Jess responded only with a grunt.  She was too tired to get into it with him now and she wasn't entirely sure why anyway.

It didn't matter.  He answered his own question.  "You're over thinking again, aren't you?  Sweetie, you need to stop so you can sleep.  I can practically hear the gears in your brain running."

"Chris, if it was that easy to stop thinking, I'd have done it by now," she mumbled.

"I know, honey.  Try to focus on relaxing your body into mine, OK?"  He leaned over and kissed again, then lay back down beside her.  

Jess's tension slowly eased as Chris once again played with her hair.  He quietly sang snippets of songs as he watched sleep slowly come to her.  He waited a few minutes after he knew she was asleep before he cautiously crawled out of the bunk and rejoined the others.

Chapter 20 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:

This chapter deals with what happened to Jess when she was the victim of attempted rape.  It's not overly graphic, but I wanted to give you a heads up, just in case.  The injuries described are based on research.  And I do realize that the way Jess moved from Canada to the US couldn't have happened quite as easily as I've written it, but that is the beauty of fiction :)

======================== 

    While Chris tucked Jess in, Joey and Justin started to clean up the kitchen area.  Lance could tell from the look on his face that Joey was going to delve into Justin's emotions.  Knowing that Justin was going to be taken care of, Lance switched his focus to JC.

    "Hey, C, you OK?"  He sat down next to JC.

    JC slowly looked up and focussed on Lance's presence.  "What?  Oh, Lance!"  He paused for a moment to collect himself.  "Yeah, I'm fine.  Thanks for asking."    

    "Come on, JC.  Cut the crap, OK?  You're not fine, I'm not fine, Justin's not fine, Chris isn't fine and Jess and Joey aren't fine.  And it's OK, because we have just spent a very emotional evening.  But see, the thing is, the four of us only heard Jess's story; you relived it.  You don't have to be the strong one right now, JC."

JC shook his head.  "I'm not the strong one, Lance.  Jess is.  She's been through so much shit...," he broke off with a sob and let Lance hold him while he cried.

A while later, all five men were gathered around the table again.  Four of them were waiting as patiently as they could for the fifth to start talking.  JC took a deep breath, made eye contact with each of his friends and started.

"I don't think I can adequately explain the shock of getting the phone call telling me that Jess was hurt.  We had just finished a kick-ass performance.  There I was, running high on adrenalin only to be brought crashing back down to earth.  I felt like a high flying balloon that had suddenly popped.  Of course, as soon as I knew Jess needed me, I left and caused management to have kittens, but there was no choice.  My friend was hurt and I was listed as her next of kin.  I had to go.  

"I got to the hospital, and even though I was prepared, seeing her laying there just floored me.  I was stunned.  I couldn't believe someone had hurt my sweet friend like that."  JC stopped for a moment to compose himself.  Talking about this, or even thinking about how she looked that day were things he tried to never do.  The sight of her all swollen from numerous punches and kicks was burned into his memory, no matter how hard he tried to erase it.

"They were able to determine some of what had happened to her based on her injuries.  He punched in the face multiple times.  Both her eyes were blackened and swollen shut.  The inside of her mouth was cut up from her cheek being smashed up against her teeth.  The part that floored me was the clear imprint of his boot on her ribcage.  From all the bruising, they could tell he'd kicked her around quite a bit.  She ended up with a couple cracked ribs and a broken wrist.

"The forensic nurses were able to tell that Jessie had put up a fight.  Her hands were injured and some of her fingers were dislocated when she tried to hold him off. She still has problems with her hands which is why you'll often see her flexing her fingers or cracking her knuckles.

"There were marks on her body which showed that he tried to pull her clothes off of her.  Her t shirt had been stretched as if he had tried to rip it off her and they think he was trying to cut her jeans when he was scared off.

"But her worst injury wasn't physical at all.  Jess always had problems with her self esteem and after the attack, she withdrew even more into herself and lost any remaining bit of faith in herself that she had.  That's the injury that she's still recovering from.  And with all this media attention on her lately, I'm surprised she hasn't cracked.

"Anyway, I sat with her all night and she woke at some point before dawn.  She was in a lot of pain and couldn't see much.  I called the nurse and once she got her pain medication, Jess realized I was there.  She knew things were bad if I had been called, and that started her crying.  Would you believe that I was the first person in her life who was there for her when things got bad?  Everyone else had left at the first sign of difficulty.  

"I stayed there with her for the next day and we spent a lot of time talking.  She told me the details of what had happened even though she didn't want to.  She was afraid I would think that she was naïve and had brought this upon herself; mostly she was afraid of that because that is how she actually felt about herself.  I tried to convince her that this was not her fault, that she had said no, but she wasn't buying it.  Sometimes I still think she blames herself for what happened."  He sighed before continuing.  

"I spent some time talking with her doctors and nurses about how to get her the help that she would need.  She was assigned a social worker and I met with her too.  Julie is the one who helped Jess get signed up for all the therapies she needed, everything from physical therapy to well, therapy therapy.  

"And then, before I was ready, I had to get back to the tour.  I felt so bad leaving her, knowing that she had abandonment issues.  But, just before I left, Jess told me that I was her guardian angel; it turned out that when the phone rang and scared him off, it was me calling her.  She told me that she had been thinking of me, trying to escape the reality she was caught in and then the phone rang.

"It was not a time that I would usually have called her.  It was pre-show and I should have been spending time in the quiet room getting ready.  I had to call her; if you had asked me why, I wouldn't have had an explanation.  It wasn't until she told me later that I realized how important that one phone call was.  

"I collapsed in her arms and we both just wept.  Her nurse ended up coming in to see what was going on and she stuck around to make sure I left so Jess could get some rest.

"I came back to the tour and I wasn't easy to live with.  Jess had made me promise not to tell you guys what had happened.  She was really embarrassed and thought that you all might think less of her."  He saw their reactions and jumped to defend himself before they could disagree with him.  "Hey, that was how she felt then.  She'd only seen you a couple of times at that point and she really wanted to make a good impression.  I knew that she was worried over nothing, but I couldn't break my promise to her, so I kept my mouth shut."

"While I was on tour and trying to enjoy the excitement of hitting the big time, I was also trying to come to grips with what had happened to Jess and how it changed her.  She had become so withdrawn from life that it scared me.  Her heart wasn't really in  her therapy and she wasn't enjoying what life had to offer her.  It was a really dark time and I was afraid for her.  I asked her to consider moving in with my family for a few months while she got back on her feet.  She isn't one to take advantage of a situation, so I had to hire her as an assistant.  She helped my mom with fan club stuff and kept up with her therapy.  She had been saving for school when it all happened, so her therapist encouraged her to enrol in some correspondence courses so that she could get her degree, just like she'd dreamed of.  

"I'm sure you've seen the change in Jess since she first moved down.  She has really blossomed in the last couple of years.  The love and friendship you have all given her has really helped her to heal.  I wasn't so sure about having her hang out with a bunch of guys after all she'd been through, but you turned out to be the best medicine for her.  I think now that she's gotten this huge secret off her chest, you're going to see her really come into her own."

JC sat back, glad to have finally cleared the air.

"Jace, I'm confused.  Jess said she met this guy when she was sixteen.  The numbers aren't adding up here."  Lance's brow furrowed in confusion.

"Oh.  She didn't explain that part well, she was so nervous.  Her dad took off when she was sixteen because he couldn't get any government assistance for her then.  She stayed with her ‘stepmother' and worked part time so she could keep going to school and pay her board.  Anyway, this whole thing happened when she was done high school and working full time to save up for school.  She was about twenty when it happened."

"What about the asshole who did this to her?  What happened to him?"  Justin surprised them all by growling.

JC sighed.  "Short version.  He's in jail.  Long version is really complicated and I don't want to get into it tonight."

Chapter 21 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
OK, this has taken me way longer than I anticipated, but it's finally here. I know where the story is going, so hopefully it will come more quickly over the next few weeks. If you are still hanging with me, trust me, I appreciate it! Please let me know what you think!

 

 

"Ouch! Damnit!"

Joey tried not to laugh as he heard Jess bump and thump outside his bunk. He opened the curtain and peaked out. "You OK, Princess?" he gave her a sleepy smile.

She met his eye and almost growled, "I was OK until I tripped over someone's clodhoppers. Seriously, who wears these boats? I'm gonna throw them at him!" Jess held up the pair of shoes she had tripped over.

Joey sat up and rubbed a hand through his already messy hair. "Ah, those clodhoppers would be Justin's. Leave them until tomorrow, we'll prank him somehow with them. What are you doing up?"

She shrugged. "Meh, just getting a drink."

"Can't sleep?" he asked.

She shook her head, "Nope. You?"

"Nope. Come on." Joey nodded his head towards the back of the bus and scooped up a blanket as he led her to the living room. He wrapped the blanket around his shoulders and flopped down into a comfy chair, holding out one arm. "Come and sit with me."

Jess sat down and let Joey envelop her in the blanket. She leaned her head on his shoulder and snuggled in. "Mmmm. You're comfy, Joe."

He laughed. "Uh, thanks, I think. Why don't you try to sleep, Angel?"

She shook her head. "Nuh-uh." She rubbed her eyes. "Don' wanna."

"Fine. Then talk to me. What's going on?" He pulled the ‘big brother' card.

Her answer was a shrug and a mumbled, "Dunno".

This made him chuckle. "You don't talk much when you're exhausted, do you?" Then he quickly changed his tone, "Why don't we just cut the bullshit, Jess? I know you've been having nightmares." When he saw she was going to protest, he cut her off. "Don't even bother. I've been trying to sleep in the bunk under you all night and you talk in your sleep."

"You know?" she whispered, almost relieved that someone else knew her secret.

"Yeah," he replied with a slight nod of his head, "it wasn't that hard to figure out."

"You won't tell them, will you?"

"Pshaw," he rolled his eyes. "You know me better than that. Spill."

She shook her head. "No, Joe. I think I've done enough spilling in the last few hours. Why don't you tell me something for a change?"

"Oh? Like what for example?" he queried.

"Why don't you start with the real reason that you've been up all night-and don't even try to tell me it is because of me and my restlessness, you sleep through just about anything."

Joey chuckled softly. "Can't pull anything over on you, can I?"

"Nope," she shook her head. "So you spill first."

"All right, but this is just between you and me. I'm not ready to tell the guys yet." Jess nodded. "I don't know where to start, so I'll just tell you. I...I'm going to be a dad."

Jess tilted her head back to look at him. "Really?"

Joey smiled nervously. "Um, yeah."

"Wow! That is big news. Wow. Joe," she shook her head and smiled, "you're going to be such an amazing dad. I can hardly wait to see that."

He shook his head and asked quietly, "What do I know about being a father?"

"What's there to know, Joe?" she shrugged. "All you need is love, and the rest follows."

"You know, I could say the same about you and Chris," he smiled slyly.

Jess gave him her "What you talkin' ‘bout Willis?" look*, "Huh? You could say what about us?"

Joey tsked, "Please, you know what I mean. Relationships aren't that hard. All you need is love and the rest follows."

Jess rolled her eyes. "Whatever, Joe. Anyway, I believe we are talking about you and Kelly. So. How is she doing? When is the baby due? Can I babysit?"

"Whoa, girl. One question at a time!" Joey giggled and then proceeded to answer all her questions. A while later, Joey sat back. "So, I think I'm done spilling. It's your turn now."

Realizing that Joey wouldn't be put off any longer, Jess relented and answered him. "Fine. You're right. I've been having nightmares again."

Joey looked her right in the eyes. "What do you mean, ‘again'?"

She knit her eyebrows together. "What? It's not like I haven't had them before. Just another one of the joys of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder."

"So, how did you get rid of them last time?" he asked.

She sucked in her bottom lip and let it pop back out. "I saw a shrink. She made me talk about them and gave me some coping techniques."

"OK, so do you think if you tell me about the dreams, that might help you?"

"I don't know," she shrugged, "but I guess it's worth a try. These dreams have been very vivid and they stay with me all day. They give me the creeps for hours."

"Hence another reason you've been holding back from Chris?" Joey interrupted.

"You mean because I'm creeped out? I hadn't thought of that," Jess replied pensively. "Maybe these nightmares have been a part of it."

"Well, what happens in your dreams? Are they the same each time?"

She shook her head, "No, not exactly the same, but they are similar. Basically, I keep dreaming about the night I was attacked. But instead of being knocked unconscious, I'm totally aware of everything that is going on. It's like I'm having an out of body experience with déjà vu thrown in for good measure because I know what is going to happen next. But, when the phone should ring, it doesn't. He just keeps beating on me and-and well, nothing stops him and he gets what he wants." She shuddered. "I usually wake up just as he's starting to get his way."

Joey tightened his hold on her. "Oh, honey. I'm so sorry. No wonder you've been so unnerved. "

Jess nodded, "Yeah. It's really been freaking me out. Every time I fall asleep, it starts all over again and I don't know how much more I can take."

Joey looked at his friend quaking against his side and wondered the same thing. She was normally a tough girl, but he could see that this was wearing her down. "What happened to start these dreams up again?" he asked.

Jess shrugged and avoided eye contact. "Who knows?"

Joey wasn't going to fall for it. He looked at her accusingly, "You do."

"Damn it!" she banged her fist against the couch, "Isn't it bad enough that JC can read me like a book? Why do you have to start?"

He smiled apologetically, "Come on, Jess. Just tell me. Maybe if you get it out in the open, it will stop the nightmares."

"I don't know, Joe," she shrugged. "The only thing that has kept the dreams away has been sleeping with one of you guys."

He smirked. "I'm going to let that one slide for now, because I know you didn't mean it that way."

Jess shoved him away from her. "Ew! Whatever, you pervert!" She laughed for a moment and then turned serious again. "OK, look, I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to tell Josh or Chris or anyone else for that matter."

"Jess, I've already told you that I'm not going to talk to them. Anything you tell me tonight is in the strictest confidence unless you tell me otherwise."

"OK. I just don't want them to blame themselves because it's really not their fault..." she paused, not quite ready to go on.

"What's not their fault, Honey?" Joey prompted her.

"The nightmares, really, it's not their fault I'm having them. I blame him entirely. But whenever I get really stressed out about something, they start up again."

Joey nodded, "And let me guess, being shoved into the limelight because of the video didn't help."

"Yep. And then all this stuff with Chris isn't helping either."

"What stuff, Jess? I thought you guys were doing OK."

"Truthfully, Joey, I have no idea what we are. My last dating experience was four years ago with a guy who tried to rape me. I know Chris is not like him; I'm just scared out of my mind about relationships in general. Friendship is so much easier to deal with."

"Why don't you just treat it as friends with more?" He suggested with a shrug.

"I wish it was that easy," she grimaced.

"He really cares about you, Jess."

She sighed. "I know. I care a lot about him too."

Joey smiled. "Yeah, I know." He sat up a bit straighter. "Hey, how have you kept all this in for four years? It can't have been easy."

"No, it wasn't. But at first I was so afraid of looking stupid and then I just didn't want to open it all up again."

"Well, look, if you want to talk about it now or any time, I'm here and I'm willing to listen, OK?"

"Really, Joey? You'd be willing to sit here and listen to all the sordid details?"

"Of course, I would. You shouldn't have to question that. You know that I'd do anything for you, silly girl! Besides, it's not like JC is your only friend. All of us love you a whole lot."

"I know," she smiled. "I've certainly been blessed with great friends. Ok, just remember that this was your idea. I think holding all this inside is becoming too much for me." She paused to regroup. "So you know that the guy attacked me and all that. Did Josh tell you about how I moved here?" Joey nodded and she continued. "Did he tell you about the trial?" Joey shook his head this time.

"Well, in Canada, the police press charges, not the victim. I'm kind of glad, because I was terrified and might not have done it on my own. Anyway, they charged him with attempted rape as well as a couple of other things, breeching probation, physical assault, that kind of thing. He of course had a record as long as my arm, but none of that was admissible in court. I really know how to pick them."

"Whoa, Jess," Joey stopped her narration. "It's not your fault that he is a bad guy. He hid that from you. It sounds like he was quite an actor, so don't blame yourself for not knowing who he really was at the time."

"You're right. It turned out that I wasn't the only one he fooled. He was actually living with someone at the time he was seeing me. She had no idea and when the police went to search for him, she was so angry she ratted him out and even witnessed against him for my case."

"I had a case worker from the women's shelter who was with me throughout the trial. She helped me so much. It was hard to sit there and have to listen to all the lies that his lawyer spewed. And then to be questioned and cross examined, well that was the hardest thing I've ever done.

"In the end, he was sentenced for aggravated assault and he was to be incarcerated for eight to ten years. Because he was in pre-trial custody for a year, that counted as two years served. Since then, he's served four years in jail; with the two year credit, he's at six years, so he could be eligible for parole. If he gets parole, he technically won't be able to come to the States, and he'll have to stay away from me, but, I mean how secure is that? How do I know I won't be walking down the street and he'll just pop up there in front of me? Guys walk through restraining orders everyday "

Joey shrugged, "I don't know, Jess. But you have all of us now. He'd have to get through me and the guys before he could get close to you and even if he did that, he'd still have to face Bryan."

Jess shook her head. "Joe, there is no way I'm going everywhere with you five all the time. I'd rather face him than go through your screaming crowds day in and day out. Besides, I'm not planning on keeping Bryan with me when I'm at home. I only agreed to having security right now because you guys pushed for it and well, Johnny demanded it too. Once I'm out of the spotlight though, I'm going back to real life."

"This is your real life now, Babe. And if you think you're going to get by with no security, you've got another think coming. You won't have to have Bryan with you all the time, but there are going to be times when it is necessary, and I don't want to hear you complain about it. Our goal is to keep you safe because we love you and we don't want anything to happen to you. So you're going to have security when it's deemed necessary and you're going to like it, understand?"

She rolled her eyes, knowing that it was easier at this point to agree with Joey rather than try to argue with him. "Fine, Joe," she huffed.

"Good. Now that that is settled, you need to get some sleep, Angel."

"I uh, I don't know, Joe..." she hesitated.

"Nothing to worry about," he assured her. "You're sleeping here with me, so no nightmares."

"I guess it could work," she still wasn't entirely convinced.

"Of course it could. Especially once you start to imagine that Super Joey is going to fly into your dream and beat the shit out of that asshole," he grinned.

Jess laughed and snuggled a little closer to Joey before closing her eyes, "OK. Thanks, Joey."

"Anytime, Angel," Joey whispered. He kissed her forehead and allowed himself to doze as well.

Joey was awakened a couple hours later when he heard some of the others start to get up and move around.

Chris popped a sleepy bed-head into the living room. "Hey Joe. Why are you sleeping with my girl?"

"'Cause I was lonely and she was here," Joey smiled insolently. "No, really, neither of us could sleep, so we came back here to talk."

"Is she OK?" Chris frowned in concern.

"Yeah, she'll be fine, Chris. She's going through a rough patch, but she's going to make it."

"I pray to God you're right, Joey. I'm starting to get scared. She's pulling away from me, and I think she's distancing herself from JC too." Chris gently stroked her hair.

"I know," Joey sighed. He shifted in his seat a little. "Hey, Chris, would you care to change places with me? I really need to go."

Chris smiled. "An opportunity to hold my girl? You don't even have to ask! Of course I'll do it."

It took some careful manoeuvring but they were able to get themselves and Jess sorted out.

Joey made a quick dash for the bathroom and then headed up to the front of the bus to grab some breakfast.

End Notes:
* This is a reference to the televison show "Different Strokes" where Gary Coleman played Arnold and would ask his brother, "what you talkin' 'bout, Willis?" with this look that basically said, "are you crazy?". And yes, this whole reference makes me feel old, but it is the best way to describe the look she's giving Joey!
Chapter 22 by PopDiva

Joey sleepily staggered down the hall and flopped down at the table.  He grunted his assent when JC offered him a coffee and nodded his thanks in JC's direction when a mug was slid across the table and into his waiting hands.

After pouring a coffee for himself, JC slid into the seat opposite Joey.  "So, did she tell you about the nightmares?"  he asked nonchalantly.

Joey just about spit his coffee across the table.  "You knew?"

JC nodded.  "Of course I knew.  Whether she likes it or not, I know Jess inside out.  She's been acting the same way she used to when she was getting nightmares.  It's been awhile since she's had them, but it's not totally unexpected, especially with all the stress she's been under."

Joey panicked, "JC, you cannot tell her you know.  She really thinks that she's hidden it from you."

"Relax, Joe.  I know my girl," JC sighed.  "She thinks she's protecting me; I won't tell her."  He looked down at his coffee cup.  "Honestly, I'm happy that she's comfortable talking to you about it.  That means she's making some progress.  I don't expect you to give me details, but encourage her to go back to her psychiatrist if you get the chance."


Chris was making the most of his time holding Jess.  He just couldn't get enough of her.  He gently stroked her hair.  Breathing deeply, he caught a whiff of her shampoo.  He couldn't quite place the scent, but it was a flowery type of smell that he always associated with her.  He'd have to ask her later what it actually was.

Jess started squirming in his arms.  He tried to calm her, but before he could whisper the soothing words he wanted to, she was awake.  She stared at him like she didn't know him, then she blinked a couple times and seemed to get her bearings.

"Chris?"  She pulled away from him and rubbed her hands across her face.  "What happened to Joey?"

He tried not to show his disappointment in her brushing him off and asking about another guy.  "Uh, he had to, uh pee, so I took over for him.  You OK?"

"Yeah, great.  Where's Joey now?"  She looked around the room.

"I think he's in the kitchen," Chris shrugged.

"OK, thanks."  She got up quickly and stopped short in the doorway when she saw Joey sitting with JC.

"Good morning, Jess!" Justin called to her as he joined the others.
 
"Yeah, right, morning," she replied as she accepted the quick one armed hug he gave her.

"Where are we heading today?" she asked no one in particular.

JC answered her.  "We'll be at the hotel in about..." he looked at his watch, "twenty minutes.  We pretty much have enough time to drop our stuff and get in the vans to go to the photo shoot."

"Oh, well, have fun, guys.  I guess I'll catch up with you later," she shrugged.

"You wish, Jess," Justin laughed.  "You're in this photo shoot with us."

She frowned.   "How is that possible?"

JC shrugged.  "I dunno.  Johnny said people were looking for you to model, didn't he?"

"Yeah, whatever," she smirked.  "I figured that was just an excuse to keep me on tour with you guys."

It was Joey's turn to chuckle. "Yeah, right, Jess.  Do you think Johnny would really go through all that paperwork if he didn't have to?  You're modelling, girl.  Lance has your contract somewhere and I know you signed it."

"Why would Lance have my contract?" she was confused now.

Joey coughed.  "You did read it before you signed it, didn't you?"  Jess just rolled her eyes at him.  "How did you miss the part that Lance is managing you?"

Sarcastic Jess emerged.  "I don't know, Joe, how about the fact that last I heard from anyone, Johnny was my temporary manager.  Nothing was said at all about Lance."

"Relax, Jess," Lance joined them at the table.  "Johnny and I work together.  These guys are just giving you a hard time.  Do you have any questions about the shoot?"

"Yeah, do I have to go?"  she smiled.  "OK, I'm just kidding.  Just give me the basics.  What is it for, what do I do, that kind of stuff.  And, seriously, why would anyone want me to be a model for them?"

Lance rolled his eyes and sighed.  "Jess, didn't we just go through a lot of press and stuff about how guys like regular girls, not stick thin models?"  Apparently Sarcastic Lance was also making an appearance.  "Why do you think they hired you?  Really, girl, just because you're not a size two doesn't mean that you are not beautiful.  So stop with the attitude, OK?"

Jess looked down at her hands which were folded on the table.  "I'm sorry, Lance.  It just feels weird that people are accepting me as I am and not trying to tell me that I'm not thin enough."


Lance reached out and patted her hand.  "So, just imagine how all those other regular girls are going to feel when they see a picture of someone like them."

Jess gave him a slow smile, "OK, I get it, Lance."

"Good," Lance returned her smile and moved to sit next to her.  He  talked to her for the rest of the drive about the shoot and what she should expect when she got there.


After running up to her room for a quick change, Jess was ushered out of the hotel by Bryan.  She saw Chris get in the first van, so she held back and got in the second, hoping that he wouldn't notice.  She sat on the back bench and leaned her head against the window.  With her eyes closed, she was hoping that she could pass for being asleep and be left alone.

It worked, but only until a Nerfball hit her in the head.  "What the..?"  She sat up with a confused expression on her face.

"Aw, geez, sorry, Jess!"  Justin called.  "My fault!  I thought Joey was going to catch it."

Jess picked up the ball and aimed it at Justin's head.  Lucky for him, her aim was really bad because she threw it pretty hard.  Joey moved back a seat and sat beside her just as the van was started up.  "Hey, you OK?" he asked quietly.

She met his eyes.  "Sure.  I just got beaned in the head, I had an emotional night with very little sleep and I have to go get my picture taken for some magazine, I'm just peachy!"

Joey laughed and squeezed her shoulder.  "Hey, chin up!  You get to spend the morning with me.  How lucky is that?"

Jess smiled and leaned her head on Joey's shoulder.  "Yeah, I guess one thing is going well for me this morning."

"Of course it is.  So, wanna talk about it?"

"What makes you think I want to talk about anything?" she asked defensively.

"Wellll," he drew the word out for dramatic effect, "you totally blew off your boyfriend this morning.  What's up with that?"

Jess sat up and removed Joey's arm from her shoulder.  "I don't know what you're talking about.  I don't have a boyfriend."

"You could have fooled me," Joey teased.  "Remember I'm the one who caught you two smooching in the hallway after your date."

"One date, Joe.  That's all it was."  She turned away to look out the window so she could avoid his gaze.

"You keep saying that it was one date.  Who are you trying to convince-me or you?"  He tried to get in her face, but she just turned further away from him.

"What difference does it make, Joe?"

"Wait a minute.  What happened between last night and now that is making you so defensive?"

"I'm not defensive!" she turned to face him without even realizing it.

"Uh, yeah, y'are," he tried not to laugh.   

She frowned  "Joey, just shut the fuck up!"

Joey was a little taken aback.  It was unusual for Jess to snap like this.  He gave her a couple minutes to herself before he broached the subject again.  "So, are you going to tell me what happened?"  Jess sat there, stoically looking straight ahead.  "Jess, did you have a nightmare again?"

"I don't want to talk about it," she said through clenched teeth.

"OK, so you had a nightmare," he replied.  "Now, what happened, same as always?"

"You're not going to let this go, are you?"

He shook his head.  "Nope.  Sorry, but when a friend is hurting, I butt in.  So, what happened in the dream?"

She gave up.  "It started the same, but my friend Joey showed up to cheer me on and to coach me in fighting back.  Together, we kicked his ass," a smile creeped across her lips at the thought.

"So what's the problem?" Joey was genuinely confused, especially when he noticed she started to blush.

"Uh...well, after that, you told me how proud you were of me, then you disappeared and Chris appeared."

"O...K?" he was now even more confused.  "Then Chris helped you beat him up some more?"

"No," she whispered.  "Then I started to make out with him."

"And that's a bad thing?"  Joey asked.

"Yeah!" she answered, implying that he was stupid for not understanding that.  "I wanted him.  I wanted him to want me, and he wasn't moving fast enough, so I started to lead him to the bedroom and-Joey, I'm not like that.  I mean I've never done that and I guess I came to my senses and woke myself up."

"Well, now blowing Chris off this morning makes some sense.  Were you embarrassed?  Honey," Joey squeezed her hand, "you know it's OK to be attracted to Chris, don't you?"

"What?  Yeah, I mean, no.  I don't know what I mean!  In the dream, it was all so right, but then I woke up and reality smacked me in the face again."  Before she could complete the thought, the van pulled up behind the other van in front of the studio they were shooting at.

Jess was relieved.  She was more than happy when she was pulled into wardrobe away from the guys.  She really needed a break from all the testosterone for awhile.
 

Chapter 23 by PopDiva
Author's Notes:
Finally!  I've been working on this chapter for awhile now, but I couldn't get it quite right.  Turns out it needed a touch of tweaking, a little reworking, and that was about it!  Thanks for sticking with me!

Jess was pleasantly surprised to be the first one ready for the group photos.  She found a couch and relaxed while she waited for the guys.  She was glad when Justin appeared first.  

"Hey," she smiled as she patted the couch, "cm'ere."

Justin obliged and sat beside her.  "Hey, yourself, mama," he threw her a sassy grin while watching out of the corner of his eye to how she was reacting to his flirting.

Jess giggled and patted his arm.  "Oh, Justin, what would I do without you to boost my ego?"  She didn't give him a chance to answer.  "Are you free any time today?"

"I've always got time for a beautiful woman like yourself," he chuckled, clearly enjoying messing with her.  

Jess weighed her options and decided that two could play at that game.  She leaned towards him, placing one hand on his chest, and looking up into his eyes.  "Oh, Justin," she cooed, "do you mean it?"

He pulled back abruptly and sputtered.  "No!  I mean, yes!  I mean--damnit woman!" Jess fell into him, she was laughing so hard.  When he realized he had been set up, Justin couldn't help but join in the laughter.

Jess regained self control and sat up slowly, wiping away a tear.  "I'm sorry, Justin, but you so asked for that!"

"Hmph," he pouted, making sure to cross his arms over his chest and turn his head away from her.  "I don't think you're really sorry."

She shrugged, "Meh, you're probably right, but I'm still wondering if you have any time free today."

He looked at her.  "For you?"  She nodded.  "Yeah, sure, you know I always have time for you.  Did you want to do anything in particular?"

She shook her head, "Nope, just talk."

"Oh.  OK."  He was quiet for a moment.  "Is it about yesterday?"

"Yeah."  She wouldn't meet his eyes.

Justin nodded slowly.  "OK.  We'll talk later.  How about after the show?  We can hammer out details later."

"OK.  Thanks."

Justin gave her a squeeze.  "Don't thank me, Jess.  Friends make time for each other.  You know that."

The rest of the guys came trickling out of wardrobe and before she was completely ready, Jess found herself in the middle of a photo shoot.

First they did some group shots, with everyone dressed in jeans and tee shirts.  All six were very laid back and they just got to be themselves.  Jess felt a bit like she was playing Twister while she was following the photographer's jumbled directions.  

"OK, now put your right hand on Justin's left shoulder.  Lean your head on Joey's shoulder and look towards Lance.  Your right foot should go in front of  Chris's and your left hand holds JC's and make it all look natural."  As if!   Who did they think she was?  Gumby?

Jess took a deep breath, shook off  her frustration and tried to go with the flow.  She made it through group photos and moved on to the paired photos, first with Justin.  She was supposed to be "one of the guys", a look very easy for her to pull off since it was her true nature.  They were dressed as if at a football game, cheering for their hometown team.  They had fun making up silly cheers and their own version of the touchdown dance.  But Jess drew the line when he wanted to chest bump with her.

Next it was JC's turn.  He was dolled up in a suit and she wore a little black dress that she never would have chosen, but actually looked good in.  They were posed as if they were on a date in fancy restaurant.  First they were stealing glances at each other from behind their menus, then the photographer had JC ask Jess to dance.  The two tried not to crack each other up as they posed and all in all, Jess was relieved to be finished and able to dress down again.  

When they were finished, Jess and JC joined the rest of the guys for a quick lunch.  Jess was rushed off before she even finished her sandwich, so she took it with her to sit in the makeup chair.  Had she been paying more attention to how Joey was dressed, she might not have been as surprised as she was when she was handed a very small outfit to put on.  

"Uh, what's this?" she asked in bewilderment, holding the hanger, which had a couple of small scraps of fabric, away from her body..

"What do you mean?" asked the stylist, "It's your clubbing outfit."

Jess's mouth fell open.  She blinked once.  She blinked again.  "Laaaaance!" she hollered.

Lance came running when he heard her yell.  "What's the matter?" he asked.  

Jess still hadn't found her voice.  She just nodded towards the outfit that was still dangling from the hanger.

"What's that?" he was just as perplexed.  

The stylist shrugged.  "Her outfit. She and Joey are doing a club scene.  We're going for total slut here."

Jess's mouth opened and closed a couple times in quick succession.  The words were there, but somehow, she just couldn't get them out.  Lance noticed her distress and moved between Jess and the stylist, lest she explode.

"Would you excuse us?" he asked quickly and didn't wait for an answer.  He propelled Jess by her elbow away from her dressing area.  Lance found a couch and sat her down on it.

"I am not wearing that, Lance," she said quietly, when her voice finally surfaced again.

"No, you're not," he agreed, his teeth clenched together as he too tried to keep his anger in check. 

"Let me go talk with a few people and I'll be back."

Lance was getting out of the seat, when Chris came barrelling into the area.  

"There's my girl," he said with a smile which suddenly turned into a frown.  "What's that?  You're not going to wear that, are you?"

Lance shook his head, reached over and took the hanger from Jess.  "Chris, I'm dealing with it.  Sit here and keep your girl company."

Chris sat beside Jess and casually stretched his arm along the back of the couch.  "What on earth were they thinking when they chose that?" he asked.

 "I'm not sure," she answered, "but they have another think coming if they think I'm going to wear it."

"Don't worry, Lance will set them straight," he smiled.  "How has your day been going?"

"OK, I guess.  I could use one of these makeup artists to come with me every day-talk about magicians.  I didn't even feel tired anymore by the time they got the circles under my eyes covered up."

He laughed.  "Yeah, I hate to admit how much of a difference it makes for me too.  Oh well.  How are you doing though?"

"I'm fine, Chris."

"Really?  I mean I know you told us some really serious stuff last night and I, well, I'm worried about you."

She sighed.  "Chris, there's nothing to worry about.  I'm the same girl I was before I told you everything, it's just that now you know."

He reached out to touch her arm.  "I know.  It's just now I'm noticing things and wondering if you're..."

"If I'm what, Chris?  If I'm screwed up?  I've always been screwed up.  If I'm scared?  Sometimes, yes.  If I'm ever going to be OK?  Well, that one I can't really give you a definite answer on.  Maybe one day, but I'm not counting on it."

He sat back, disappointment evident in his features.  "Why are you always so negative about yourself?  Why do you put yourself down?"


She smirked half-heartedly.  "Because if I say it, nobody can say anything worse about me than I've said myself.  And because if I expect the worst, I'll never be disappointed."

"You know, I think that's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard!"

"What?" she was startled into looking directly at him.

He was about to answer when Lance came into the room.  "OK.  It's settled," he smiled.  "No slutty outfit for you, Jess.  They've decided to go with a tastefully short skirt and a sexy blouse-sexy, not slutty.  OK?"  He reached a hand out to her.

Jess accepted Lance's assistance to get up.  "You walking me back?"

Lance nodded, "Yeah.  I want to make sure you're OK with the new outfit."

"OK," she agreed as they walked back to her dressing room.

Chris sat on the couch, stewing.  He didn't even notice JC's presence until he sat down beside him.  

"Hey, Chris, what's wrong?"

"Huh? Oh, ah, nothing.  Nothing's wrong." He nodded, trying to convince himself.

"Hmm," JC responded.  "It sure doesn't look like nothing's wrong.  And I'm willing to bet it has something to do with my stubborn best friend and the fact that she has been distancing herself from both of us."

Chris smirked, "Think that would be a pretty safe bet, do you?"

"Yeah," JC nodded.  "You know me.  I don't just throw my money away.  If you want to talk about it..."

"I'd love to.  I just don't know where to start."  Chris paused and JC didn't fill in the silence.  He knew Chris would continue when he was ready.  "C, I don't know what to do.  She's so negative about herself and the future, and she's...I don't know, it's like she's trying to push me away."  Chris shook his head in defeat.

"She is," JC agreed.  "It's her defence mechanism.  Why do you think she hasn't had a boyfriend since then?  She pushes guys away because she's afraid of being hurt."

"I get that, but what I don't get is that it feels like some sort of test.  It's like she's pushing to see what I'm going to do and how I'm going to react."

JC laughed.  "You have her figured out man.  That's exactly what she's doing.  You know what to do, right?"

"Besides turning her over my knee and telling her to stop acting like a spoiled brat?"  Chris thought for a couple of minutes.  "I have an idea or two, but whether they'll work or not is another story."

JC patted his friend on the shoulder as he got up.  "Do me a favour?"

"Sure."

"Don't give up on her."

Chris shook his head, "That'll never happen."

JC nodded his thanks and left Chris to his pondering.

Chapter 24 by PopDiva

“I don’t know what you’re thinking so hard about, but you’ve got to stop,” the makeup artist said as he touched up Jess’s face, “You’re making a crease in the make-up with all this frowning.”

“Oh, sorry,” Jess shrugged and tried to relax her face, “I didn’t realize I was doing that.”

“No worries,” he smiled, “We’re almost done here, and then you can get your last set of pictures done and get some rest.”

“Don’t I have two more sets to do after this one?”

“Yep, but they’ve been rescheduled for tomorrow,” he replied as dusted her face with some kind of powder.

“Oh, OK.” She wondered when they would possibly be able to fit photo shoot into the next day’s schedule.

Lance popped his head into the room.  “How’s it going, Jess?”

“Fine, Lance.”  She hoped she sounded confident enough to set Lance at ease.

“Great!” he disappeared from the doorway.  Yep, apparently she sounded confident enough.  Now if only she could fool herself into feeling confident.

 

A few minutes later, Jess made her way out to the set, trying not to teeter on stiletto heels.  She pulled self consciously at her skirt, as if by tugging she could make it longer.  Out of all the outfits, this one made her feel the most anxious by far.

Jess spun on her heel and nearly lost her balance when she heard a whistle from behind her.  She quickly regained her equilibrium and saw Joey and Justin staring at her.

“Whoa!  Girl, where have you been hiding those?”  Joey asked, nodding his head in the direction of her chest.

Jess rolled her eyes.  “Oh, grow up, Joey.  And Justin, stop staring!  Haven’t you ever seen boobs before?”

“Sure we have,” Joey replied, “Just not on you!”

“I can’t help it,” Justin stated as he continued to stare.  “I never knew you had so many curves under all those baggy clothes.”

“Oh please,” she groaned as she shoved his face away from her so that she didn’t have to see him stare.  “Let’s just get this over with.”

Jess felt Joey’s eyes on her while the photographer was setting the lighting up near a bar set.  “Will you stop it?”  She smacked his chest.

“What?” Joey asked defensively, trying to protect himself from her further assault.

“Stop staring at me!  I’ll call Kelly I have to,” Jess looked to make an escape.

“No, don’t do that,” Joey held her arm.  “I’m sorry.  I’m just not used to seeing you like, well, like this!”

“It’s this stupid push up bra they made me wear,” Jess shifted her shoulders around, trying to get comfortable. “It feels like they’re cinched up under my chin.  Good grief, if I was to get a good run going, I’d give myself two black eyes!”

Joey laughed.  “I don’t think so, Sweetie.” He gave her a quick hug, trying to keep her from getting more self conscious.  “You look really good though,” he grinned.

She looked down at her outfit, “You really think so?”

“No, I just go around lying to all my girl friends for fun,” he rolled his eyes. 

Jess giggled.  “OK point taken, but I feel like a freaking Barbie doll.”

“Nah, you look better than Barbie,” Joey laughed.  “She’s plastic and fake and you are so not like that.”

 

            In no time at all, Jess and Joey were posing in the club set.  First, they shot Joey checking Jess out, and then they were posed as if they were flirting by the bar.  Joey had her laughing by feeding her really bad pick-up lines the whole time. 

            Chris and JC came back into the room in time to hear Joey being instructed to “sex it up” by lifting Jess's thigh up against him.

Jess laughed loudly.  “Ack!  Joey, that tickles!” 

            The two guys rounded to corner and gaped in unison.  Who was this vixen and what had she done with Jess?

            Chris swallowed hard.  “Whoa,” he rasped.

            Justin turned around with a big grin.  “I know, right! She’s babe-alicious!  If she were a president she would be Baberaham Lincoln!”

            JC elbowed Justin.  “Now is not the time for your ‘Wayne’s World’ impressions, you dork!”

            Justin blinked, “Why not?  Jess is totally hot!”

            JC clenched his teeth.  “Shut up, Justin!”

            Chris glanced over at Lance.  “Does he really need to be so close to her?  Couldn’t they like tone it down a bit?”

            Lance put a hand on Chris’s shoulder and led him out of the room, “Come on, Bud.  I don’t think you really need to see this.”

            “It’s not that I think anything is going to happen, Lance, I just don’t like seeing any guy that close to her.”

            “I know,” Lance nodded, “especially when it’s not you.”

            “You got that right!” he agreed.  “Especially when it’s not---hey, wait a minute!  That’s not what I was going to say!”

            “Sure Chris,” Lance nodded as if he believed Chris.  “I should warn you that the clothing company wants her to keep everything she’s modelled so she can wear it out in public and be seen.  And I’m pretty sure Joey and Justin are going to try to convince her to wear that outfit the next time we hit a club.”

            “Great,” Chris muttered as Lance led him away, “now I’m going to spend all my time watching other guys hit on her.”

End Notes:

 

 

 

Chapter 25 by PopDiva

By the time they were finished, Jess was bone tired.  She kicked of her heels and sighed with relief as she trudged barefoot back to her dressing room.

 

            Fifteen minutes later, Jess met Joey in the hallway and they went out to the vans together.  Jess felt so much better to be back in her own comfy clothes and sneakers.  She didn’t realize how slowly she was moving until Joey stepped on her heel as they neared the van. 

            “Come on, princess,” he laughed, “your chariot awaits.”  He hoisted her up into an empty seat and then climbed in behind her, pulling the door closed after him.

            Jess buckled up, then looked to her left and saw that the seat that Joey had put her into was next Chris.  Of course it was.  She sighed and closed her eyes, hoping that sleep would allow her to avoid Chris for now.  She wasn’t in the mood to deal with him.

 

            Chris didn’t make first eye contact.  He thought he’d better let Jess get settled and then casually meet her gaze and start a conversation.  If he was lucky, maybe she would have forgotten the whole little “episode” from this afternoon.

When he figured that he had waited long enough (after all, timing was everything), he turned to Jess—and saw that she had fallen fast asleep.  Yes, this girl was definitely a woman after JC’s heart.  It was really no wonder that they were friends.  Chris sighed, slid his arm around her shoulder and adjusted so that her head fell comfortably against him.  At least if she was sleeping, she couldn’t fight with him and he now had some time to figure out just how to fix things between them.

           

            When they arrived at the venue, there was no time to talk.  Everyone was rushed into the building, told to grab something to eat and to have a quick meeting with their scheduler while they ate.

            Jess lagged behind.  Schedule changes meant little to her; it wasn’t like she had to go everywhere with them.  She raided the snack food for some caffeine and sugar to keep her energized through the meet and greet.  If she could just make it through that, she could coast through the rest of the evening.

            When JC saw her sit down with a Coke and some chocolate, he got up from his table, filled a tray and sat down across from Jess.  Before she could say anything, JC had whisked away her junk food and shoved his tray in front of her.

            She tried to protest, but JC didn’t give her the chance, “Oh no you don’t!  If you eat that crap, you’re going to have a sugar crash in the middle of the meet and greet,” he admonished. 

            Jess rolled her eyes, but truth be told, she didn’t exactly hate it when Josh babied her.  “Fine, Joshua, whatever you say,” she smiled as she looked down at the carton of milk, a turkey and cheese sandwich and some fruit.  She didn’t know how she was supposed to eat all of this in the few minutes left before the meet and greet, but she knew she’d only waste more time in arguing with him than actually eating it.

            The meet and greet went the way that the last few had gone.  Jess was getting the hang of it, and had fun talking with the guys’ fans.  She was glad that she was able to be a role model of sorts for girls who had felt marginalized by the fact that they were not stick thin.  Jess just wished that it didn’t take so much energy to be upbeat.

            After the event, Jess gathered up her stuff and set out in search of Bryan.  It had been a long day, and she was more than ready to head back to the hotel and unwind.  She was just about clear of the room when Chris touched her shoulder.

            “Jess?  Do you have a minute?” his eyes pleaded with her, but she was good at ignoring things she didn’t want to see.

            “Why?  Is there something else about me you think is bullshit?”

            “Please, Jess?  I think we need to talk,” he tried to get her to look at him.
            “That’s nice,” she replied with a shrug, “but I don’t.  There’s Bryan, I have to go.”

            “I’ll come see you after the show then,” he called after her. 

            She shook her head, “No you won’t.  I have plans tonight.”  She stepped out into the hallway, away from his reach.  This was going to be harder than he’d thought.

 

            Jess enjoyed some quiet time while the five men sweat it up on stage.  She had a leisurely soak in the tub while reading a book she hadn’t had a chance to start yet.  She ordered up some dinner and she caught up on some writing and email before she finally heard what could only be described as a herd of  *NSYNCers coming down the corridor.  

            She was not surprised when JC burst through the door followed closely by Justin.  “Hi guys!”

            “Hey Jess,” JC flopped down, laid his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes.  “G’night, Jess.”

            “I don’t think so, Mr Sweaty.  You stink.  Hit the showers!” She jostled him off of her and gave him a push in the direction of his room.

            Justin waited until JC staggered towards his door.  “Hey, I’m just going to get cleaned up and then I’ll be back, is that OK?”

            “Of course it is.  Take your time; I’ve got a good book.”

            He nodded and shuffled off.

 

            Jess settled back in the cushions to read her book.  Just as she found her place, someone knocked on the door.  She contemplated for a brief minute about not answering the door, it was probably Chris and she wasn’t about to change her plans with Justin to have a fight with him.  But then she thought that it might help her to let off some steam if it was Chris, because she’d get the satisfaction of slamming the door in his face or at least telling him to get lost.

            By the time she had decided to answer the door, the knocking was growing louder and steadier.  She whipped the door open and was surprised to see Joey standing there apparently doing some little dance in the hallway while knocking on the door.

            She cleared her throat to get his attention, “Joe?  Did you want something?”

            As Joey turned around, she noticed he was dressed head to toe in black.  He was even wearing a black toque, and this was the middle of June.  What was that boy thinking?

            Joey leaned in and gave her a buss on the cheek.  “Hey, Beautiful, you ready to prank Justin’s shoes?”

            “What are you talking about?” she really couldn’t believe this guy some days.

            “Come on, don’t tell me you forgot.  When you tripped over Justin’s shoes this morning, I told you we’d prank him later, so let’s go!”

            “I’m sorry, Joey, I did forget.  I’m actually waiting for Justin to come over here.”

            Joey grinned.  “That’s perfect!  You keep him busy while I go take care of his shoes.”

            “Sure, Joey, I’ll do that.  You be careful, OK?”
            “I will.  Now don’t let on anything to Justin.”

            Jess tried not to giggle, “No fear of that, my friend.”  She shook her head as Joey zigzagged down the hallway humming the tune to Spiderman.  Tomorrow would be soon enough to find out what he was up to.

Chapter 26 by PopDiva
  Jess had barely gotten back into her book when JC came bounding back into their suite's living room, freshly showered and dressed.  "How do I look?" he grinned while doing a little spin for her.

            "Whoa, what happened to the tired guy who went into your room five minutes ago?"

            JC giggled.  "He got a call to go out with some friends, so he took them up on it."

            "Really."  She nodded slowly, "Huh.  You're not usually very concerned about what I think of your appearance," her eyes grew wide, "You're meeting a girl, aren't you?"

            JC fiddled with his shirt collar.  "Actually, I prefer the term ‘woman'," he ducked his head down. "Don't wait up!" he called as he quickly dodged past her.

            She had nearly caught him when he opened the door.  "Joshua!  You get back here, I need details!" 

            "Sorry, gotta go!" He called over his shoulder as he bolted out.

            JC and Justin almost collided in the hallway.  "What's up with him?" Justin asked as he came in.

            "Date," Jess shrugged.  "It's about time too."

            Justin appeared to be digesting that information.  "Huh," he nodded as he looked around the room.  "So, what did you want to talk about?"

            "Nice to see you too, Justin.  I'm fine, thanks for asking."  She rolled her eyes, knowing that he had no idea why she was being sarcastic with him.  Jess grabbed his hand and led him out to the balcony.  "Come on, let's sit out here and pretend we can see the stars tonight."

            Once they were both settled in the deck chairs, Justin looked Jess in the eyes.  "So...?"

            "So," she smiled as she kicked her feet up on the patio table and took a deep breath. "Look, I just want to make sure you're OK.  You were really upset last night and you got me worried."

            "Wait a minute," Justin laughed nervously, "shouldn't I be asking you that question?"

            "Justin," she met his eyes.  "Don't bother trying the whole answering a question with a question thing-I am the master at changing the topic.  Give it up.  I know you were upset.  Talk to me."

            "I already talked with Joey," he replied with a shrug, avoiding eye contact.   "I'm fine."

            "Justin," she warned him with her tone, "Talk.  To.  Me."        

            He blew out a frustrated breath.  "Fine.  I was upset.  Hearing that you were nearly date raped really hit me hard.  It made me so angry that some guy would try to take advantage of someone I love.  I started to wonder what kind of man could do that to a woman, and then I started to wonder about me and whether I would know if I was pressuring a girl or not."

            She reached out and patted his arm, "Oh, honey.  What he did to me wasn't pressuring me.  He was trying to dominate me, show that he had power.  That's why he resorted to beating me up when I wouldn't do what he wanted."

            "But how do I know the difference?" he asked.  "Where's the line between him and me?"

            "The fact that you are asking the question shows that you are not him.  He didn't care how he treated me.  You are not him, Justin, but if you're ever unsure, stop and ask. Slowing things down and making sure you're on the same page is probably the best way to go."

            Justin smiled. "You know, that's pretty much what Joey said."  Then he laughed, " Except Joey also gave me guy tips too, you know, like how to tell if a girl is faking it-not that she'd ever have to fake it with me, but you know, it's always good to know."

            Jess reached across the table and pushed his shoulder.  "Justin, my friend, that is what is known as too much information," she chuckled.   "So, you're really OK?"

            He nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine now.  But thanks for caring enough to beat-I mean ask me about it."  He laughed.

            "You're such a brat," she reached over to hug him, "But you know I love you."

            "I do," he sat up straight and smugly smiled.  "And because I love you too, I have a question to ask you now."

            "Sure, fire when ready," she laughed.

            "Have you read Chris's note yet?" he ducked, not sure of what her reaction would be.     

            Her first thought was to ask how Justin knew about the note and her evasion tactics, but she knew how close Chris and Justin were and realized she already knew how Justin knew.  Instead, Jess blew out a breath that lifted her hair off her forehead and replied quietly, "No."

            "Come here, girl," Justin pulled her into his lap.  "So, you haven't read it."  Jess shook her head.  "Then I have another question for you; why the hell not?"

            She laid her head on Justin's shoulder.  "Because I'm scared.  Because I don't know where things with Chris are going or where I want them to go and I don't know what Chris wants from me or if he wants anything from me and...I'm just scared!"

            Justin shook his head.  "Babe, you don't have to be scared.  You know Chris well enough to know that he wouldn't lie to you."

            "Sure, J, but just because Chris thinks the letter has good stuff in it, that doesn't mean that I'll agree."

            "True, but if you don't read it, you'll never know and it's going to eat away at you and drive you crazy--just read it!"

            "OK, fine.  I'll read it.  Are you happy now?"

            Justin shrugged.  "Meh, I suppose so.  Do you want me to stay here for moral support?"

            "What?  You want me to read it now?"  Jess stalled.

            He rolled his eyes, "Well, duh!  You need to stop procrastinating and just read it."

Jess thought about it for a minute.  "Do you think I need moral support?"

            "Probably not, but you do need someone to make sure you don't chicken out again."

"Fine, Justin, you can stay.  Come inside and watch television."  Jess left Justin to his own devices and went into her room.  She stood just inside the doorway, willing herself to pull out the letter.  She cracked her knuckles, took a deep breath and sat down on her bed.  She reached under her pillow and slowly slid the envelope out.

Jess held the envelope in her hands.  She didn't want to do this, but there was no way to put it off any longer.  Besides, Justin would totally know if she lied about it.

  After taking another deep breath, she slowly slid one finger beneath the flap and lifted it up.  One more deep breath was required before she could make herself pull the paper out.  And still another breath before the letter was open, facing her.  All she had to do now was to focus and read.

 

Jessamyn,

Sweetheart, you know me well enough to know that when it comes to expressing myself, I do it best with music.  If you haven't already done so, give Pat's paw a squeeze. 

 

Jess looked up from the letter and over to her bear.  She reached out to squeeze his paw and was surprised when what she heard wasn't a Build-A-Bear sound.  It was something completely different.  She listened to the acoustic guitar and piano start, and gasped when she heard Chris start singing.  She looked back down and followed the words in his letter.

I don't know how

I don't know why

But girl it seems

You've touched my life

You're in my dreams

You're in my heart

I'm not myself

When we're apart

 

Something strange has come over me

A raging wind across my seas

And girl you know that your eyes are to blame

And what am I supposed to do

If I can't get over you

I come to find that you don't feel the same

 

Cause I'm fallin' fallin'

Girl I'm fallin' for you

And I pray your fallin' too

I've been fallin' fallin'

Ever since the moment I laid eyes on you

 

I lose my step

I lose my ground

I lose my self

When you're around

I'm holding on for my life

To keep from drowning in your eyes

Girl what have you done to me

To make me fall so desperately

To think that I don't even know your name

No, no

How am I supposed to live

If I can't get over this

You decide you don't feel the same

 

Cause I'm fallin' fallin'

Girl I'm fallin' for you

And I pray your fallin' too

I've been fallin' fallin'

 

Will you stay or will you go

Heaven knows what my future holds

Questions linger on my mind

From daybreak to dark of night

I'm fallin' I don't know what's come over me

 

Can't you see that I'm fallin' fallin'

Girl I'm fallin' for you

And I pray your fallin' too

I've been fallin' fallin'

Ever since the moment I laid eyes on you

 

The music stopped playing and Jess wiped a couple of tears from her eyes.  She realized that Chris must have prepared the song for her long before her date.  She was a little overwhelmed by the feelings that his planning implied. 

Jess continued to read the letter:

 

I hope you know when I sing this, I'm thinking of you each and every time.  I know we've only had one official date (or six crammed together if you count them my way), but with you everything feels so right.  You've become such an important part of my life and I trust one day, hopefully soon, you'll be ready for me to let you know exactly how I feel.

Always yours,

 Christopher

 

 

Jess didn't know what to think.  She sat there gazing at her ceiling for quite awhile before she heard a quiet tap at her door.

            "Jess?"  Justin whispered.  "Are you OK, honey?"

            She debated playing ‘possum, but knew that Justin wouldn't fall for it.  "Come in, J," she called.  When the door opened, she gestured to the open letter lying on the bed.  "Now you can tell him I've read it."

            Justin sighed and leaned against the door frame.  "It's not like that Jess, Chris didn't ask me to check up on you--"

"He didn't?"  She glared at him archly, daring him to try to lie to her.

"Well, not in so many words, no.  He might have asked me how to get you to read it or something like that, but he didn't ask me to ask you to read it."

Jess pulled her lips together in an attempt not to frown at him. "Hm."

Justin took a couple of steps closer to the bed as he ran his hand through his hair.  

"Do you want to talk about it?"  He asked as he perched himself on the edge of the bed closest to her.

            She shook her head, "Nope, not really."      

            "Are you sure, Jess?  I mean, even if you want to tell me off for bugging you to read it, feel free to lay into me, OK?"

            Jess finally met his gaze and gave him a small, reluctant smile.  "I'm sure, J, but thanks for offering."

            "OK, well then would you like to watch a movie or something?"

            "I'd love to hang out, Justin, but I have to do this whole photo thing again tomorrow and I'm really tired.  Maybe another time?"

            "Sure," he nodded as he stood up.  "I'll hold you to it."

            Jess laughed.  "I wouldn't have it any other way, Justin."

            He leaned over and kissed her cheek.  "Me neither," he smiled before he ruffled her hair and left the room.

End Notes:
"Falling" lyrics by Ira Steven Schickman, Bryan Poppin, Gary Brown and Chris Kirkpatrick

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=355