My Best Friend (Revamped) by Ashley Loves JC
Summary:

stories/1843/images/My_Best_Friendresized.png

 

JC Chasez and Leah James have been best friends since they first met on the set of the Disney Channel show "The All-New Mickey Mouse Club" back in 1991. Now nine years later both JC and Leah are enjoying their successful music careers. JC, in popular boy band *Nsync, and Leah as a solo artist. Throughout the years they've enjoyed the highs, and ridden out the lows side by side. But will it ultimately be their true feelings for each other that get in the way?

 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 4335 Read: 409 Published: Jul 18, 2021 Updated: Jul 25, 2021

1. Chapter 1: Just Friends by Ashley Loves JC

2. Chapter 2: That's What Friends Are For by Ashley Loves JC

3. Chapter 3: Hey Jealousy by Ashley Loves JC

Chapter 1: Just Friends by Ashley Loves JC

 

Chapter 01: Just Friends

 

Orlando, Florida 1994

 

"Watcha thinkin' about?"

With her back against the softness of the quilt, a barrier between her body and the intricately manicured grass, Leah stared up at the sky, her thoughts getting away from here. "Nothin'." She sighed, turning her head to face JC. They were lying on the quilt supine, head-to-head with their bodies in the opposite direction. Birds and butterflies flew overhead, and the park was alive and buzzing with sounds of kids playing on the nearby playground and high schoolers playing basketball on the court.

"That sigh sure sounded like a whole lot of somethin'." JC clucked. "What's on your mind Lee?"

You. "Just life ya'know?"

"Sounds very existentialist of you." JC teased. "What about life?"

"Is it weird to you? You know that it's all over?" Leah asked.

"Whoa, someone's been listening to a little too much Pearl Jam!"

"No!" Leah exclaimed, reaching her hand back to playfully swat at him. "I mean the show, ya doofus!"

"Oh!" JC laughed, slapping his palm against his forehead. Leah laughed along with him. "That! I mean, it had to come to an end sometime. And we're adults now, you know?"

"Ugh!" Leah gasped. "Please, don't say the A word!"

"What? Adult?"

"Jace!"

"What? We're eighteen now!"

Leah groaned. "I don't even wanna think about it." The thought of her burgeoning adulthood caused thoughts of impending doom and destruction. Thinking back three months ago to their graduation (which just so happened to be broadcast on television), she could've sworn she was the only one sad about graduating. JC, Tony, Rhona, Kerri, and Marc all seemed so excited to not only be graduating from high school, but also from the Mickey Mouse Club. Leah, however, was sad to leave it all behind. No more riding the golf carts around Disney World, no more performing in the studios or filming sketches with her best friends. No more fun, long days on the beach filming for Emerald Cove. No more Mr. Yerger, or Miles Thorogood, or Matt Casella. No more Fred and Terri offering sage advice. No more girl gossip sessions while they sat in the makeup chair in their dressing rooms. It was the end of a beautiful era.

"I mean you kind of have to." JC pointed out.

"Joshua Scott Chasez, always the realist." Leah said sarcastically.

"I'm just being honest." JC said defensively.

"Everything feels pointless now. I mean, where do we all go from here?"

"Well, I'm going to LA to live with Tony and Dale, and you're going to Nashville for college, and we'll call each other every day and write letters, and visit as much as we can." JC answered pragmatically.

"What if I don't go/" Leah suggested. She squeezed her eyes shut and held her breath waiting for JC's response.

"What if you don't go where?" JC asked, snapping her head, to look at her. "What if you don't go to college?"

Leah nodded. "Yeah."

"You cannot not go to college Lee! You're going to college if I have to drag you there myself!" JC admonished.

"You're not going to college!" Leah pointed out.

JC shrugged. "College isn't for everyone. You're too smart not to go."

"Maybe it isn't for me. And what are you talking about? Are ACT scores were nearly the same!"

"You got a higher score than me." JC countered.

"By one point!" Leah scoffed. "And in math at that, so you know it was a fluke!"

"Hey, we're not talking about me here!" JC deflected. "We're talking about you and what suddenly brought on this thought of you not going to college."

"I made a pro-con list." Leah announced.

JC groaned. "Not another one of those."

"What? You know it's how I make all my decisions."

"Yes, I know."

"Well, the con column is longer than the pros when it comes to college."

"Fine. What are the pros?" JC asked curiously.

"Pros: It's Nashville, so Music City." Leah stated.

"That alone is reason enough."

"It's only two and half hours away from home, and the drive up I-65 is straight shot, so I can see mom and dad whenever I want."

"What more could you ask for?"

"Belmont University has one of the best music programs in the country."

"So there, it's settled. You're going to Belmont end of discussion." JC said definitively.

"Hey! You didn't even hear my cons!"

"What cons could there possibly be?" JC asked. "It's in Nashville, the epicenter of the music industry, everywhere you turn there's a music studio or record label. It's practically a hop, skip and a jump away from Louisville. They have the best music program in all of the country, with like a billion internship and networking opportunities and you have a scholarship! There's absolutely no reason for you not to go!"

Her stomach lurching, Leah knew that JC was right. And she didn't want him to be. She had every reason for going to Belmont University, but there was still some nagging feeling telling her that there was something more out there for her. Everyone else was moving to New York or LA for pilot season or shopping their demos to labels. Why couldn't she do the same. It didn't seem fair that Rhona, Kerri, JC, Tony, and Dale would all be on the West Coast without her. They were her crew. Nikki and Britney had already joined a girl group, so she would be staying in Orlando. Sure, Justin would be nearby in Memphis, but what could she do with a thirteen-year-old boy? An annoying hormonal thirteen-year-old boy who could never look her in the eye. Eww!

"Besides, your parents would kill you if you didn't go to college." JC said.

That was another thing, her parents. She didn't want to disappoint them, but she also couldn't live her life by their expectations just to appease them either. She was never going to be a lawyer like her sister, or a doctor like her brother. She felt like Sandra Huxtable when she told Claire and Cliff that she wasn't going to med school. "I don't even want to think about their reaction."

"You won't have to, because you're going." JC said simply.

"Since when did you become my parental figure?"

"Since you lost your mind and became some crazy free-spirited hippy." JC quipped.

"I'm older than you!"

"By three months, let's not get crazy." JC nudged her.

"I mean, isn't that what being Gen X is all about?" Leah asked. "Aren't we supposed to be these super-liberated progressive critical thinkers, bucking the traditions of our parents?"

JC gave a her a quizzical look. "Oh, so now you're foregoing all your conservative values?"

"Not completely." Leah answered. "Just some of them."

JC winced. "Please don't tell me you're gonna dye your hair green, burn your bra, and stop shaving."

"Oh God no!" Leah chuckled. "I'd rather die."

"Good." JC smiled. "Because I love you just the way you are. "

Leah's breath hitched in her throat. Did he just love? He couldn't have meant it like that, could he? Did he love her the way that he loved Heather? Or the way that Vinnie loved Blossom? How did he love her? Just thinking of the possibility sent her heart slamming around in her chest. It was also that small possibility that made the con list of moving to Nashville. No JC. "Hey JC."

"Yeah?" JC asked.

Do you ever think about me in that way? "Umm..." Leah cleared her throat choosing her next words carefully. "Wanna head back to my place and watch a movie, like old times?" She mentally kicked herself for chickening out.

"Sure." JC agreed, sitting up. "Besides it's getting pretty hot."

"I have an idea."

"Shoot."

Leah sat up and swung her legs around so that she was on the same end of the quilt as JC. "Why don't we hit up Sugar Express and stock up on candy?"

"I though you were on some sort of diet." JC replied.

Leah shrugged. "Why don't we really make it like old times again? We won't get too many more of these days together."

"Aww, you're getting' all sentimental on me." JC teased, wrapping and arm around her and pulling her close.

"JC!" Leah shrieked as he ruffled her hair. Great. If she had any doubt in her mind that he loved her like Heather, then that hair ruffle just confirmed it. "You know I hate it when you do that!"

"I know, that's why I do it!"

"Ugh!" Leah rolled her eyes. "Why do I even put up with you."

"Because ya love me!"

And that she did. He just didn't the depth of her love. And she didn't know if she'd ever be brave enough to tell him.

"What's wrong?" JC asked, watching as her face faltered.

Leah shook her head. "Nothing. It's just. It'll be weird ya know? Living on opposite ends of the country." JC tightened his grip around her, sending shock waves throughout the entirety of her body.

"C'mon Lee, lighten up. Nothin' can separate us. Besides, what's a few states? You act like you're going to the moon."

Leaning into him and inhaling the scent of his Irish Spring body gel she closed her eyes, making a memory. No matter what, he always had a way of calming her down. "You're right. It's just... you know how much I hate change."  

"I know. But nothing's gonna change between us. You'll always be my best friend."

With a sinking feeling, and a heavy heart, Leah nodded in agreement. "Yeah Jace. I'll always be your best friend."

 

 

End Notes:

Leah

Logan Browning: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Chapter 2: That's What Friends Are For by Ashley Loves JC

 

Having feelings for your best friend sucked.

"You're like my sister, you know?" JC asked as the walked through the crowded mall. "Well, a less annoying version of my sister. I know I've told you a million times before, but I really feel like I can talk to you about anything."

Having feelings for your best friend especially sucked when they were griping to you about their girl problems.

"I feel like she doesn't even know I exist. I want to scream, ‘Hello, Jessica I'm right here!' Do you know what I mean?"

Are you frickin' kidding me? "No, Josh. I don't know what you mean."

JC sighed, placing a hand on your shoulder. "Sweet, sweet Lee. That's because you've never been in love." He said condescending-yet-oh-so-cluelessly.

"Hey, I'm gonna get coffee? Do you want a coffee?" Leah asked, not so subtly changing the subject.

"You already had coffee." JC blinked, cocking his head to the side.

"Thank you Captain Obvious." Leah snarked, crossing her arms over her chest, a paper bag from Spencer's and her purse hanging from her left forearm. "I need a recharge."

JC's face twisted. "Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine." Leah assured him. "You know me, I'm not myself unless I have my sixty-four ounces of caffeine."

"You know drinking too much coffee can damage your heart. I read it in an article once."

Geeze, you're so smart but you can't figure out that I love you! "I'll keep that in mind," Leah said dismissively as she ambled toward the food court.

"Hey, I'm in the mood for a smoothie, why don't we meet back at the fountain?" JC suggested.

"Cool." Leah agreed, walking toward The Happy Bean kiosk.

Watching JC disappear into the crowd, Leah let out a loaded and heavy sigh. The more time they spent together, the stronger her feelings grew, and the harder it became to hide them. She hated that she started to feel resentment toward hi for not reciprocating the feelings he wasn't even aware she had. She was spiraling. Maybe college would be good for her after all. She needed space and someone new to get her mind off JC. Perhaps she could join a sorority and meet a hot fraternity to guy to help her get over her feelings.

As Leah made her way toward The Happy Bean, she made a mental pro-con list about having feelings for your best guy friend.

Pros:

Cons:

Ding, ding, ding! That was it right there. It was painfully obvious that JC was not in love with her, which is why she could never tell him her true feelings. Like every teen drama to ever exist in the history pop culture, she'd have to bury her feelings for him forever because she'd rather have him in her life as just a friend, then to not have him in her life at all. She was a walking, talking trope. Just when she thought she was done with her pro-con list, she found another item to add to the con column.

"Oh my God!" Leah yelped, as she collided right into a man's chest. "I am so sorry." Feeling arms around her to brace her from falling, she looked up into the eyes of none other than- "Michael!" She exclaimed. It was Michael Landes.

"Leah? Hey!" Michael smiled, his gorgeous brown eyes sparkling down on her.

Standing up straight, Leah self-consciously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and looked down at her pink Chuck Taylors. "What are you doing here? In Orlando, I mean."

"We're shooting an episode of Lois and Clark out here, so I'll be here for the next six days." He explained.

"Nice!" Leah smiled, not sure of what else to say. Fiddling her fingers, she dared herself to make eye contact. Ugh! It had been two years since she'd guest starred on The Torkelsons with him and he still had that effect on her. All he had to do was flash the beautiful smile, and she turned to a pile of goo.

"So, where ya headin'?" He asked.

"To The Happy Bean." Leah replied, pointing the kiosk a few feet ahead.

"Hey, so was I! Why don't I buy your coffee?" He offered.

Was he flirting with her? "Oh you don't have to that." Leah decline, waving a hand. Wait, if he is flirting maybe I should let him buy me coffee! Leah mentally cursed her sister Jill for never teaching her the art of interacting with hot guys. What the hell else was a big sister good for?

"No, I insist!"

"Well, since you insist, I like caramel lattes!" Am I flirting? Oh my God, am I doing this right.

"Coming right up." Michael winked.

Leah's heart went into freefall. He winked at me! He winked at me!  As they walked toward the kiosk, she nearly fainted when Michael casually slung his arm around her shoulder. Like they were friends! She could just die! After placing their order, they stood off to the side of the kiosk to wait for their drinks.

"So, what have you been up to?" Michael asked, leaning against the counter.

"Well, as you know we got cancelled."

Michael nodded. "Yeah, bummer. I'm sorry about that."

Leah shook her head and waved. "Don't be. It was time."

"So what's your next move?"

"School starts next month. Belmont University."

"That's in Nashville, right?"

Leah nodded. "Yup."

"That's pretty cool! Isn't that the place where Amy Grant went?"

"She actually went to Vanderbilt, it's right next to Belmont though."

"Close enough. Besides, you love Amy Grant, right?"

"Yeah, I do. You remember that?"

"Sure do. How could I forget you belting out Baby, Baby with Olivia?"

Leah cringed at the memory. Had it only been two years? She felt like such a kid back then. "That's not exactly on my Leah James highlight reel."

"It was cute!" Michael countered.

Cute. Where had she heard that before? Oh yeah, JC. "Cute?" Leah grimaced.

"What, you have come sort of weird aversion to the word cute?" Michael teased.

"The word and I don't exactly have the best history." Leah admitted.

"Too bad." Michael shrugged. "I really like cute girls."

Suddenly, Leah began to choke. "Huh?" Smooth Lee, real smooth.

"Here are your drinks!" The barista announced, interrupting their moment.

"Thank you!" Michael said politely taking both drinks in his hand and handing the caramel latte to Leah. "Maybe I'm being a little too forward here, but I was wondering if you maybe wanted to hang out with me while I'm down here?"

Too forward? He was not being too forward! Always having been notoriously oblivious to when an exceptionally good-looking human from the male species flirted with her, she needed forward. No, she needed more than forward. She needed a big, flashing sign with neon lights and an arrow! "Hang out? Like as in a date?"

Michael nodded and smiled. "Yes, as in a date!"

Play it cool Lee, play it cool! "Yes, I would love for you to take me out on a date."

"Great. What are you doing tonight?"

"Well, I did have plans for a Harlequin romance and a pint of Ben & Jerry's but Fabio can wait."

Michael exaggeratively pursed his lips together. "Oooh Fabio, that's some stiff competition. glad I made the cut!"

Leah let out a coquettish giggle. Since when did she giggle? "So, what do you have in mind?"

"Well, I hope you don't have an aversion to Cuban food, because there's this really cool spot I wanna check out."

"¡Me encanta la buena comida cubana!"

The corner of Michael's lips spread into a smile. "Huh! She's cute and speaks Spanish!"

"Un poco," Leah flirted, affecting a Spanish accent.

"You really know how to drive a guy wild, don't you?"

Michael's comment, sent a shockwave through her body, sending her confidence shooting through the roof. "Am I driving you wild or are you just deprived of attention form the opposite sex?" She didn't know what came over her, but it's like words kept leaving her mouth before she could fully think them through. She was in rare form! Geeze, who said I couldn't flirt?

Michael leaned down, his lips just centimeters from her ear. "Could be both, but I'm inclined to believe it's the former," he whispered, sending a chill down her spin.

"I think you're flattering me, but I won't stop you."

"So, is eight o'clock okay?" Michael asked, standing up straight.

"Perfect." Leah replied. "Hold this." She handed Michael her latte while she rifled through her purse for an ink pen. After she found one at the very bottom, she took Michael's cup and scribbled her number on the side of the cup. "I have a private line." She informed him. "I'm here with a friend, so I've gotta go, but I'll see you tonight."

"Eight o'clock sharp!" Michael replied.

"See ya later. And thanks for the coffee," Leah waved before turning to walk away.

"Hey Leah!" Michael called after her.

Leah stopped in her tracks and turned her head. "Yeah?"

"Wear your dancing shoes!" Michael said with a nod.

"I love a man with rhythm!" She teased seductively, gave her hair a Cindy Crawford flip and walked away. Who was she? Who was this sexy flirtatious beast overtaking her body? Oh my God! She mouthed as she walked toward the fountain. "Hi!" She squeaked, sitting next to JC on the bench in front of the fountain.

"Whoa! You really did need to recharge huh?" JC snickered. "What happened to you?" He asked, taking a sip of his smoothie.

"I'm going on date!" She announced excitedly, the words pouring from her mouth.

"What?!" JC asked, his eyes growing wide. "With whom?" He demanded, straining his neck to look around the crowd.

"Michael. Michael Landes." Leah answered.

JC's eyebrows knit in confusion. His eyes rolled to the ceiling, racking his brain, trying to put a face to the name. "You mean that actor guy?"

Leah nodded. "Yeah, the one I met when I guest starred on The Torkelsons."

"Him?!" JC screeched.

"Yeah. Why? What's wrong?"

"He's too old for you!" JC warned, his face conveying an expression of disdain.

"Chill Dad!" Leah said sarcastically. "He's only twenty-three. Besides, I'm eighteen so it doesn't matter. I can do what I want."

"Not if I tell your dad." JC threatened.

"You're not telling my dad shit!" Leah challenged.

"How do you know what I'll do?" JC asked.

"Because if you tell my dad a damn thing, then I'm telling Miss Karen that you had sex with Ilana under her roof while your parents were in Miami."

JC narrowed his eyes at her. "You wouldn't."

"I would."

"Fine." JC conceded. "My lips our sealed."

"That's what I thought." Leah said smiling. She extended her hand. "Shake on it." When JC didn't take her hand, she closed her palm into a fist and punched him in the shoulder.

"Ow!" JC winced grabbing his shoulder. "That fucking hurt!"

"Good. It was supposed to! I said shake on it!" Leah knew with absolute confidence that if they didn't seal the deal with a handshake that JC would go running his mouth.

Reluctantly, JC set his smoothie down and shook Leah's hand. "You know I care about you, right?"

"I know." Leah replied. Not in the way that I want, but whatevs... "That's what friends are for."

 

 

Chapter 3: Hey Jealousy by Ashley Loves JC

 

"Are you sure you wanna go through with this?" JC asked, the phone cradled between his ear and shoulder.

"For the millionth time, yes." Leah sighed. "God, you're more overprotective than Aidan." With her brother away at Georgetown, she actually thought she'd have some semblance of freedom. She thought wrong.

"What do you even know about this guy?" JC questioned.

"What do you know about any girl you go out with?"

"Don't answer my question with a question."

"Jace."

"Lee."

"God! You're obnoxious!" Leah groaned. "I'm going out with Michael tonight. Everything's going to be fine!"

Knowing this was a fight he wasn't going to win, JC conceded. "Fine," he huffed. "So, where you guys going tonight?" JC asked. Lying on his bed, staring up at the ceiling, it was all he could do to not to hang up the phone, jump up and run over to Leah's place and stop her from going on that date. The thought of seeing her with Michael, or really anyone for the matter unnerved him.

"That new Cuban place downtown." Leah replied, her voice sounding distant and distracted.

"That bodega place?" JC asked, scrunching his face as he tried to correctly pronounce the name.

"La Bodeguita de Mima," Leah corrected.

"What are you doing right not?"

"Trying to decide what to wear."

From the tone of her voice, JC could tell that she was anywhere, but on the phone with him. Picturing her twirling around in her room in different dresses did something to him. He wasn't exactly sure what, but the confusion unsettled him. "Do you want me to hang up?" He asked, his heart dipping to his stomach.

"No. I need your opinion." Leah replied.

"On?"

"On what to wear."

"What? Why me? Why can't you ask Jennifer or Lindsey?"

"Lindsey's in Tampa with her parents, and Jennifer's already out on a date." Leah replied. "Besides, you're my best friend."

JC swallowed. For some reason the words best and friend had a much different impact than before. "Okay number one, I'm not there, so I can't see you-"

"But you know what I look like, and you know what suits me best."

True. "And number two, I'm a guy. I'm straight up going to tell you that you look great in anything you wear."

Leah let out an audible gasp. "So all those times I asked you how I looked?"

"Stock answer; yes, you should wear it, you look great."

"Joshua Scott!"

"Learned it from my dad. Keeps ya outta the doghouse!"

"So, what you're saying is that I literally cannot trust your opinion when it comes to what I look like?"

"What I'm saying is, I know absolutely nothing about fashion, and don't give a damn or even know the difference between purple and periwinkle. But you can trust me one hundred percent when I tell you that it doesn't matter what you wear, because you're beautiful regardless." There was a hushed silene between them. Suddenly, JC was beginning to regret what he'd said.

"Jace-"

"Lee-"

"Look, Jace. I should go. Thank you."

"Wait, I-" Before JC could finish what he was saying, he was met with sound of the dial tone in his ear. Pulling the phone away from his ear and sitting up, he reached over to his nightstand to press down on the switch hook. Before talking himself out of what he was about to do, he dialed a number. It rang twice before he got an answer.

"Yo, whattup?"

"Joey, it's me."

"'C, what's goin' on? You goin' out tonight?"

"Do you like Cuban food?" JC asked.

Joey snorted. "It's me you're talkin' to. I like all food! But more importantly, I love Cuban women! Whatcha got planned?"

JC smiled to himself, feeling the wheels in his head turning. "Wanna hit up that new Cuban place downtown?"

"Sure. But you're drivin' cuz I'm drinking." Joey said.

"Deal. See you in ten."

"Cool."

After hanging up with Joey, JC jumped out of bed and ran over to his closet. What does one wear for a casual night out on the town that also doubled as a reconnaissance mission?

 

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3044