Not A Bad Thing by IvyVega
Summary:

Riley is picking up the pieces from her broken dream life. A former advertising whiz, she takes a chance a new kind of role - and gets way more than she bargained, working for a man she has hated for years.


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: No Word count: 49429 Read: 9545 Published: Oct 23, 2020 Updated: Dec 22, 2020
Story Notes:

1. Chapter 1 by IvyVega

2. Chapter 2 by IvyVega

3. Chapter 3 by IvyVega

4. Chapter 4 by IvyVega

5. Chapter 5 by IvyVega

6. Chapter 6 by IvyVega

7. Chapter 7 by IvyVega

8. Chapter 8 by IvyVega

9. Chapter 9 by IvyVega

10. Chapter 10 by IvyVega

11. Chapter 11 by IvyVega

12. Chapter 12 by IvyVega

13. Chapter 13 by IvyVega

14. Chapter 14 by IvyVega

15. Chapter 15 by IvyVega

16. Chapter 16 by IvyVega

17. Chapter 17 by IvyVega

18. Chapter 18 by IvyVega

19. Chapter 19 by IvyVega

20. Chapter 20 by IvyVega

21. Chapter 21 by IvyVega

22. Chapter 22 by IvyVega

23. Chapter 23 by IvyVega

24. Chapter 24 by IvyVega

25. Chapter 25 by IvyVega

26. Chapter 26 by IvyVega

27. EPILOGUE by IvyVega

Chapter 1 by IvyVega

Riley flopped onto her couch and flipped on the tv. Another Monday.


Every night she promised herself she would get up early to work out. Every morning, she hit snooze instead.


“Another morning coffee with Robin Roberts and friends…,” she thought to herself….


“It’s time for POP NEWS…..Is Justin bringing SEXYBACK? The singer teased new music from his upcoming alb-“


“UGH…The year just started…Can we not…” she said outloud to no one. As she changed the channel with a scowl, two furry ears poked out from the corner of her couch…


“…Don’t look at me like that, dude…You know how we feel in this house…”


Poor Benji the dog did not share her frustration with the former boybander…


Riley had been obsessed with *NSync as a kid. Posters covered her walls, and as the only girl with two older brothers, she got teased mercilessly for it.  As an 11-year-old tomboy, she didn’t have a favorite, but she knew there was something different about those 5 guys. Their “break” had been the most devastating blow in her life at the time, and she had never really gotten over it.


Her friends still teased her every time they caught her singing “Rock Your Body” or anything off Justin’s solo albums. She was really mad at him….But UGH, Why was his music so CATCHY?


“Alright, Benj…That’s my cue to do something with my day, isn’t it? “


Riley had been between jobs for 6 months, and she was slowly losing her mind. A year ago, it felt like her life was set. By now, she should have been learning how to be a “country girl” in Austin, Texas, and starting a blog to document the transition – a blog she would never keep up with, because life.


But- Things don’t always go the way you plan, and she had quit her cushy agency job before she knew how this chapter would end.


She was stuck. What was she supposed to do now? She had loved her life in advertising, but was never quite sure if it was the work or the lifestyle she connected with more.


This was an opportunity. An opportunity to really start fresh and chase a passion. The only problem was, she wasn’t *quite* sure what that passion was. She loved music…She loved to cook…She loved to write… She was…all over the place.


3 different resumes, countless job applications across every industry, and two recruiters later, she still hadn’t landed anywhere.


She was seriously considering looking into becoming a social media sensation – Was there a seminar somewhere she could take? NYC had seminars for EVERYTHING.


 


Riley stepped out of her shower to her phone ringing. She answered every call these days, hoping it was an answer…


“Hello, is this Riley Marin?”


“Yes, um...speaking…”


“Hi! This is Olivia calling from the Wyland Agency… You submitted a resume on our website regarding an assistant position…”


Had she? Probably. She did not remember the listing, but if the pay looked good and it had seemed intriguing at the time, she had definitely clicked send.


“Oh yes! Thank you for following up…Is the position still available?” Thinking on her feet. One thing she KNEW she was good at.


“Yes it is, and our client liked your experience. Now I have to be honest before we move forward. The position is…unusual. The client is quite high profile, and you would be left to manage things yourself. His requests would be mostly remote, as the position concerns business around his New York commitments.”


Damn…a high-profile client? WOW she was a good writer. Was her cover letter THAT good? She started to go a little numb at the possibility. Riley had NEVER been a personal assistant before in any way other than her internships after college, but she knew how to multitask, and had acquired production skill and a lot of “useless” knowledge and contacts in her time in advertising.


“Um…Well that would be fine. I am used to handling responsibility without much supervision. I like a challenge.”


Good God, Riley, she thought to herself…Cliché much?


“Great! Well we’d like to bring you in for a formal conversation…If things go well, we will have you meet with the client’s management team…”


Oh my God…What had she gotten herself into…?


 


Four VERY long weeks later, Riley waited for the subway ride that could change her life. She felt like a total fraud, but somehow her interviews had gone VERY well, and she was on her way to finally meet her new boss – Wyland Agency’s “high profile client.”


Who the HELL was she going to be working for? New York celebrity...It could be anyone, really…


Broadway star? Oscar winner? DeNiro?


Calm down, Riley…This isn’t a movie. It’s probably some random millionaire with an ex wife and two kids you have to babysit…


She took a deep breath before walking into the office and already felt like a fish out of water. She waited in a small lobby with soft leather sofas and minimalist modern art.


She recognized Olivia as she walked toward her- an impossibly cool looking middle aged woman with a haircut she could never pull off, and shoes she could never walk in.


“Riley, hi! Ready to meet your new boss?” she smiled.


“…As I’ll ever be!” Riley smiled back.


They walked down the short hallway toward a conference room, and Riley felt her confidence start to settle in…Until they walked inside.


Holy….Shit…


Riley paused before sitting down, and hoped the expression on her face didn’t give her way.


This wasn’t happening. This could NOT be happening. Someone was playing an elaborate (and probably expensive) prank on her.


She cleared her throat softly, and went to sit, but was stopped by a hand reaching out to her…


“Great to meet you, Riley… Happy to have you…”


He was not dressed how she always saw him in her mind.


Faded jeans that were somehow both fitted and loose. A Jimmy Hendrix t-shirt that looked like it was at least 20 years old, but still in great shape, and a pristine collarless bomber jacket- Members only, maybe?


His hair looked freshly cut, but darker than she remembered…


She couldn’t bring herself to make eye contact, and caught herself as she started to look at the floor…Were those Jordans on his feet? At a BUSINESS meeting??


Yeah…I guess that tracks,  she thought.


“H-Hi…Pleasure to meet you…Looking forward to working with you…”


No she wasn’t. What…the…hell…


This was going to be the worst job she had ever had.  Why did he even NEED an assistant in New York?


UGH….Privileged ass…


Deep breaths, Riley….You’ve dealt with jerks before…You CAN do this.


Could she? He had BETTER pay her well….

Chapter 2 by IvyVega

 

Riley took another sip from her coffee as she listened to a tentative schedule of events and business she would need to handle in the next few months. 

She was so annoyed and yet nervous that she had taken it black. She hated black coffee…

Look alive, girl…

She had already been given a binder of important information. Emergency contacts, passwords, locations, restaurants, etc. It was daunting. Being an internationally known popstar was complicated…

She had noted as she did an initial flip through that his mom was listed as an emergency contact..

 

Ha! The rumors were true…TOTAL mama’s boy…

 

“You will also need to check in on my place when I am not there. Obviously, discretion and privacy is really important here. Please don’t let anyone know you have this access, and please make sure when you are there, it is alone…”

 

Geez, did he think she was a child? She didn’t even look forward to the idea of having to play housekeeper for him, let alone inviting others to do it with her.

 

“Absolutely. No worries there. I understand.”

 

“Great, so do you have any questions so far…,” Justin’s manager, Johnny asked her.

“No sir, not as yet, but I will be sure to keep open communication, and ask anything I need to get the job done.”

Johnny smiled. “I’m sure you will. I won’t lie to you, this isn’t gonna be a straight path. This guy’s life is…interesting…”

Justin let out a little laugh “…Hey now…Don’t scare her away…”

Was that a challenge? Oh she could handle a challenge. Cocky bastard….

“Well…Mine has been, too…You’d be surprised…” she smiled.

Johnny laughed and she noticed Justin’s face shift. There was a weird expression in his eyes…intrigued, thrown off.

 

She didn’t like it.

 

“Then I’ll make sure to keep you busy…” he said quietly.

“SO…First order of business…” Johnny pulled out a folder and handed it to Riley.

“Going forward, any travel arrangements and documentation can be handled digitally, but to get your feet wet, let’s go old school with this one…Justin will be in town through the end of the month to handle some album and tour business. We want you to focus on getting settled in and getting to know the basics, but he will need some help coordinating his trip to Minnesota for the Suoerbowl Halftime…”

 

Riley skimmed the itinerary in the folder. “Looks straightforward enough. Direct flight. Any standing flight requests I should be aware of, Mr. Timberlake?”  She looked up to address him directly.

 

He smirked. “…Justin…You can call me Justin…and we can discuss that closer to the flight date. Johnny knows me. Nothing too crazy, but he will get you the list…”

 

“Fair enough…I assume I will need to check in on the apartment while you are away?”

“You pick things up fast…”

“Justin…” Johnny interjected.

Justin cleared his throat. “We will get you a set of keys. Johnny’s team will call you with the details. Really you will just need to make sure everything is where it’s supposed to be, and coordinate the monthly cleanings. I’m not a plant guy, so you won’t have to water any succulents or anything…”

 

Sarcasm. He has no idea who he is dealing with…

 

“Can do. Johnny, I will follow up with your team, then” Riley replied.

 

“So that’s it for now, then. Ms. Marin, I will be in contact. Glad to have you aboard. I think you are going to do just fine…” Johnny reached out to shake her hand.

 

“Thank you, sir,” she returned his reach and shook his hand.

“Justin,” she looked at him to repeat the handshake.

He stood up and took her hand, his amused expression replaced by straightforward businessman.

“Ms. Marin…We’ll talk soon.”

What was this dude’s deal?? On and off with the moods? She was gonna need to stock up on wine…

**

Riley had spent the rest of that week catching up on the “Wonderful World of Timberlake.”

She had read and re-read that binder 4 times, making notes of her own and double-checking contact information of the locations and restaurants listed.

Driven by the desire to cut off any of his sarcasm ahead of time, she had even called a few of the more significant places to introduce herself to the manager. She had called the housecleaner to confirm his cleaning, and a messenger had dropped off her set of keys.

She had yet to hear from Justin himself again, but had spoken to Johnny’s team a couple times to verify his upcoming travel details, and orient herself with who her key contacts would be.

 

She was already exhausted. She felt herself doing too much, but that had always been who she was. She needed to cover all bases, and needed to do an amazing job before anyone could point out her mistakes. Riley Marin had NEVER liked being still for too long, and relaxing for any period of time made her uncomfortable.

By Saturday, however, her body had made the choice for her. She settled in for a Netflix binge with Benji guarding her lap, and did not make it very long…

 

Just as Bradley Cooper was about to move in for the kill on their French Riviera balcony, Riley felt a mix of fur and tongue on her face. A chirpy melody disturbed her paradise, and she found herself crumpled on her couch, remote on the floor, and bowl of popcorn on a tray in front of her. She rubbed her eyes, and the ball of fluff in front her came into focus as Benji, prancing around in a circle.

She groaned awake, and reached for her phone to check the time.

12:30??? How had she slept so late?? And why was her alarm going off at 12:30 on a SUNDAY?

The phone flashed at her again, BRUNCH WITH THE CREW.

SHIT!

She had totally forgotten they had planned this weeks ago. Her friends had been worried about her, and wanted to get her out of her apartment for some fun. A great idea at the time, but now she had exactly an hour and a half to feed Benji, get ready and make it to the restaurant. In New York time, that was the equivalent of half an hour.

She picked up her phone to text Katie…

“Hey! Sorry…Slept in…Gonna be a little late…Order me a bloody ? :p”

Her phone flashed almost immediately after…

“UGH…Bitch! Lol…FINE…I can’t believe you drink that crap…”

Riley jog walked to the restaurant when she got off the train, silently praising herself for wearing sneakers. She was half awake, but had managed to make herself look at least human, though the messy bird’s nest on her head might disagree.

Her friends were seated near the front of the restaurant, so she had no time to settle in when she walked in…

“RY!” her older brother called when he saw her “…You made it!”

She walked over and sat in the only empty chair, noticing that Katie had actually ordered her a bloody mary. She was 20 minutes late, so the glass was sweating a little, but it was the thought that counts?

 

“I’m so sorry you guys! I set my alarm weeks ago…I don’t know what happened…”

Emi laughed. “Geez, Ry…This is new…”

“Yeah well, Enjoy it this time. I don’t like it.” she laughed “Did you guys order?”

“Nope, waiting for you, princess!” Katie joked. “Which meeeaaaans we are all on our second drink, so suck that thing down and catch up…” She winked as she gestured toward Riley’s drink. Katie was Riley’s best friend, and kept her on her toes. She was one of the sweetest people she had ever met, but was also afraid of absolutely nothing, and held very little back. She was kind of a free spirit, and brought out Riley’s fun side more than any of her other friends.

“Where’s Alex?” she asked. Her other older brother was supposed to be coming, and she hadn’t seen him in awhile.

“Amy wanted to come, too, but they couldn’t get a sitter, so he had to cancel last minute…He didn’t call you?” her brother Diego asked.

“Nope…I give it at least an hour. “ She and Diego looked at each other and laughed.

Riley’s brother Alex, or Alejandro legally, had just had his 3rd child with his wife Amy. Both siblings were pretty forgiving where he was concerned, understanding that family life kept him crazed. Diego was the middle child, and mostly unsettled. His last relationship had not worked out, but he got a gorgeous 2 year old little girl out of it, and was on good terms with her mother.

Riley was the odd one out of her family, which would not have been such a big deal if she wasn’t the only girl. Despite being the baby of the family, her Mexican-American family thought she would never have kids or settle down. She had gotten close at one point, and then subsequently broken her mother’s heart when it fell through. Nevermind that it wasn’t her fault…

 

“Well, I’m starving, so it’s better we don’t have to wait for him, too,” Emi said as she munched on a tortilla chip. Riley noticed the chip basket was almost empty, and looked down at her menu to try and make a quick decision.

“So….We are all pretty much caught up,” Katie said “..So what’s up with you? Out and about? We haven’t heard much from you lately…”

“Oh ..Ya know…Just…Moving on, figuring things out…” She kept it brief. She wasn’t ready to talk about what had happened yet, and wasn’t sure how to bring up…the Justin of it all. Katie and Emi were fans, and her brother would have a FIELD day.

“Come ON, Riley! Give us SOMETHING. Netflix and walking Benji can’t be ALL you are up to…” Emi pressed.

“Yeah, I mean…sleeping in. That’s not really you, even on a weekend…OH MY GOD DID YOU HAVE A DATE LAST NIGHT?” Katie seemed full of hope.

 

“Uh…No. Not that lucky,” Riley quipped, taking a long sip of her bloody mary. “Just…Kind of a late night. Netflix got juicy…”

“Ry…” Diego gave her a knowing look. She wasn’t fooling anyone. They all knew that aside from applying for jobs and hanging out with Benji, she hadn’t done much of anything since, well, since it all happened. Since her life had been turned upside down. They were concerned, and prepared to intervene, if necessary.

She sighed, three expectant sets of eyes on her, desperate for ANY progress, ANY signs of life.

“Well…Um…I sort of got a job…”

“WHAT? OH MY GOD Why didn’t you tell us?” Katie exclaimed.

“It’s VERY new. Actually I have been trying to get my bearings all week. Been kind of caught up and, well, still sorting out the details, ya know.”

“Well where is it? What are you doing?” Emi asked.

“Uh, actually um…” She took a gulp of her drink that almost left her unable to speak. “Personal assistant. It’s a personal assistant role.”

Diego gave her a confused look “Really?! A PA…So you are gonna be someone’s bitch?”

Riley almost choked. “No! It’s not like that. It’s…Well It will be a great opportunity. Make contacts. Network, learn the industry and all that. High profile stuff.”

 

“What industry?” Katie asked

“Music.”

“Oh, well that’s a great fit, Ry! Congratulations. Right up your alley.” Thank God for Emi.

 

 

“Who’s your boss?” Alex asked.

Damn it.

“What?” Riley stalled.

“Your boss. You said personal assistant. To who?”

“Oh it’s confidential. Not sure I can really say yet.”

Keep stalling, Riley. Where the hell is our waiter??

“Well is it a singer?” Katie asked.

“Yes. Among other things, yes.”

 

‘Among other things?’ Stop talking, Riley.

 

“Wait. You are being really weird about this. Who is it?”

“Guys. Really. It’s not a big deal. Is our waiter coming back? We should really order.”

“You said it was high profile. That’s a big deal.” Emi reminded her.

“Oh, well, I mean I will only be handling his New York business so, I am not even sure how much I will see of him, and-“

“HIM?” Katie asked “Ok now we are getting somewhere…”

“Listen, guys. Chill. It’s a privacy thing. I really can’t-“

“What color hair?” Emi added.

Diego was quietly finishing the basket of chips and sitting back. Watching his sister fidget was really funny.

“It’s…I don’t know. Brown? Can we drop this?”

“Hmm. Eyes?” Katie continued.

“Light.”

“LIGHT? That tells us NOTHING, Ry!” Emi whined.

“Ok is he like...Old, young? What kind of music? OH MY GOD Is it a rapper?” Katie worked herself up.

Riley was dying inside. Emi and Katie started to throw out guesses, all of which Riley denied.

“It’s not Justin Bieber, is it? That would be kind of weird, because I mean-“

“TIMBERLAKE!” Riley had cracked. They were driving her insane.

The table went dead silent.

“Wh-what…” Katie looked like she had seen a ghost. Clearly, she was messing with them.

“I SAID…Timberlake. Justin. Timberlake.” Riley said just above a whisper.

“You. You got a job- You’re working for…Justin…” Emi could barely get the words out.

Riley paused a second before speaking again and took a deep breath.


“Yes. I will be assisting him with New York business.”

“Riley …If you are kidding, I will kill you…” Katie said, eyes wide and breath uneven.

“I’m not kidding.” She felt like the room was 150 degrees, and could feel her stomach in her feet.

 

Diego was the first to break the silence, letting out a laugh that sounded almost like a squeal.

“OH MY GOD That’s perfect…” He could not contain himself. He had watched his sister stand in front of the tv for hours, learning every move to “Bye, Bye, Bye” and later ripping up anything she could that had Justin’s face on it.

“D…Shut up…” Riley complained.

“I guess he apologized,” he said through his laughter.

“Diego, seriously, stop.”

 

She looked at her two friends, who had a familiar look on their face. A look eleven year old Riley got often. Fangirl.

“No…You guys…NO!”

“RILEEEYYYYYYYYY,” Katie squeaked.

“Katie…Not now…”

“But you hate him,” Emi marveled.

“Yeah, well…”

They were broken. She had broken her friends. Diego was still laughing.

What a time for their waiter to show up.

MY HERO, Riley thought.

“Sorry for the wait, folks. We all here and ready to order?”

 

Riley DEFINITELY was.


Chapter 3 by IvyVega

The rest of brunch had been…interesting.

Only after another round of drinks did Riley manage to steer conversation away from Justin. She had done it to herself, but she also knew there was no way Katie and Emi were going to stop badgering her until she gave them an answer.

The standard teasing had occurred, which devolved into reminiscing about the *NSync days, and Diego rolling his eyes recalling his sister’s infatuation and adventures as a fangirl.

Somehow – Maybe it was Riley’s third bloody mary talking- they had convinced her she needed a Justin cram session, since she had mostly ignored his solo career.

“Ry…He’s your boss. He’s gonna expect you to know SOMETHING about his career, don’t you think?” Katie had pointed out.

She had a point, and now they had a date next week to have a JT content marathon. Riley made a mental note to bring tequila – a LOT of tequila.

 

Riley sighed as she turned the key to her apartment. She was definitely buzzed still, and was ready to crawl into bed and sleep the day away. A rare mood for her, but she could feel it taking over.

Her life was just getting weirder and weirder.

She heard Benji in her room as she walked in, and a loud crash followed. She hurried over, ignoring the slight dizziness she felt.

“Benji! What did you do, bub…?”

Riley didn’t find the source of the crash right away. Benji was a pretty good dog, well trained, loveable and usually gentle. Her eyes scanned her room until they landed on what must have fallen.

Oh no…

How did he get to THAT? Riley saw a small wooden box next to her dresser, and then noticed her sliding closet door was open. The contents of the box were strewn across the floor, and she stopped in her tracks. She had to pick it up. She didn’t want to, though.

 

She walked over slowly. “Benj….bad dog,” she said almost in a whisper. She should have been more mad, but she felt a knot in her stomach instead. She bent down to pick up a polaroid.

She had sunglasses on. Her tanline was obvious and her hair was windblown, but she was happy. She was smiling. He had his arms wrapped around her, the glare of the sun shading half of both of their faces. The beach was behind them. She could feel that day. Emi’s birthday 3 years ago. They had all gone to the beach during the day, and a waterfront bar at night. The couple in the picture were totally in love.

Riley felt a lump in her throat and set the picture down on her dresser to pick up the rest of the spilled items. Something caught the light and sparkled and she felt her eyes start to sting.

She hadn’t looked at that ring in months. She rubbed her hand over her ring finger, and almost missed the small indent that had been there not so long ago. A two-carat princess cut diamond with a pave band. She picked it up and her throat caught. The tears fell from her eyes quietly.  Wiping them away uselessly, she stared at it. It was gorgeous. She should have gotten rid of it. She should have listened to Katie, but a combination of spite and nostalgia had compelled her to keep it, along with the other memories of him in that box. Her Derek.

No- Not her Derek anymore.

Still on the floor were three other pictures, concert wristbands, a dried rose from the night he proposed, and two of his doodles. His most irritating habit. Drawing a silly, and awful, cartoon whenever she was angry to change her mood. She hated that it had worked every time.

She took a deep breath and scooped everything back into the box quickly, finding a more secure place in her closet for it that Benji could not get to. It was too late, though. It was too much and she had too much vodka in her to let it go.

She fell onto her bed and let herself cry. A quiet but deep cry.

Benji whined and jumped up next to her, nudging her side with his nose and settling in by her stomach.

“Yeah…I know…You’re not in trouble, it’s ok, dude…” She sniffled.  Benji looked at her with sad eyes. The truth was he had probably seen more of this side of her than he liked, but he was always quick to snuggle up to comfort her. He was still a puppy when everything ended, and some days she wondered if he missed Derek, too.

His last  words to her haunted her and stalled her every time she thought of them.

“I just…I can’t anymore, Riles…I’m sorry…I didn’t mean for it to happen like this it’s just…You’ve changed. I’ve changed. It’s better this way…It’s too hard.”

6 years together. Too hard. He had cheated. He had encouraged her to chase her career goals. He had suggested they start their new life in a new city. He had proposed, with no hinting or encouragement from her. She wasn’t that girl.

But she was too much for him. SHE was “too hard.” She remembered the anger. It helped. Briefly.

She drifted off for the second time in two days, this time hugging her pillow In one arm, and resting her other softly on Benji.

Riley woke up groggy the next morning to her phone ringing. She instinctively grabbed her phone, and clicked “answer” before she could think about it.

“Hello…?” she managed.

“Riley?”


She sat straight up. A voice she did not immediately recognize, but she had an idea.

“Y-Yes, hi. “

“Did I…wake you up?”

She was right. It was him.

“Oh…No, Not at all.”

“Uh…Ok. Wait- Did I interrupt something? “

Riley was confused for a second before remembering she had fallen asleep crying.

“No, Monday morning. Just starting my day.”

She mentally kicked herself. It was a weekday, and here she was tearstained and still in yesterday’s clothes at 10 am. She was really nailing this job so far.

“Good. Wait. Have you been crying?”

“Excuse me? Why do you say that?”

“Your voice it just…Nevermind. Good Morning. I need your help with some album promo. Did you go over that strategy yet?”

She straightened out her sweater, as though he could see her.

“Yes, I did.” She walked quickly over to her desk and pulled open the binder, quickly flipping to the album section. “Is this regarding in-store or radio outreach?”

“Well, additions, actually. That stuff was pretty much coordinated before you. Johnny scheduled two last minute radio shows I need you to get arrival times and program briefs.”

“Sure I …Anything specific?”

There was a pause on the other end of the phone.

“…Have you done this before.?” He asked.

She hadn’t. She winced “I will take care of it.”

“Marin…”

Her last name? Did he think they were that cool?

“Justin…I will take care of it. Give me a couple hours. I’ll get back to you with the details.”

“Ok. This is important, Marin…”

No shit, dude.

“I understand. Speak to you soon.”

Here we go.

“And so it begins,” she mumbled to herself, “To the Google…”

She needed to figure out what he was asking for…and get it to him QUICKLY.

**

An hour and a half later, she had call times, programming notes, and an itinerary of topics for each radio show Justin was booked for, along with station contacts.

She grabbed her phone and texted him, not wanting to seem too eager or pushy.

I have radio show details for you. Call times are secure, and I have briefs. Should I email those to yourself or Johnny?

Her phone buzzed a few minutes later.

Both of us. Wow. Quick turnaround. Not bad, Marin…

What? Like it was hard? Ok, it might have been for someone else. Not for Riley. She needed to deflate herself a little, though. This was just the first of many demands, she was sure.

I’ll need you there, of course. Before me.

Wait, what?

Duh, Riley. Assistant. Great, “Justin Timberlake’s Shadow.” She wondered how that would look on her resume.

Yes, of course. I will see you there.

****

It was entirely too early and Riley had had no idea what to wear. She had settled on nicer dark denim, a pair of cognac Chelsea boots, a simple black t-shirt, and a black blazer. She had flat ironed her hair, knowing she would end up pulling it back later in the day, and worn simple diamond studs.

Did she look like an assistant? She had no idea, but the last thing she needed was to be uncomfortable while running around for the man who had killed her childhood source of joy.

Ok, easy Riley. You are being a brat. She mentally checked herself and walked into the lobby of the radio station to check in.

Once inside, it was about what she imagined. Not fancy…a few couches here and there and a little kitcheonette in the corner that looked to be public. She was glad to have stopped at Starbucks on the way, and patted herself on the back for thinking to text Justin to see if he wanted anything. He had, and told her to expense it, along with hers.

Perk number 1: Free coffee. It was something.

She settled in and organized her notes, introducing herself to the station manager and DJ’s, making sure Justin had a comfortable place to sit and the mic was set for a man of his height.

She may have been going overboard, but she was nervous, and that’s what Riley did when she was nervous.

The doors opened, and a woman who looked way more put together than she did showed Justin and Johnny in to the green room where she was sitting.

Riley stood.

“Good Morning Justin…Johnny…”

“Hello Riley.” Johnny smiled.

“Marin…” He sized her up quickly and seemed to approve of her attire, not saying anything but nodding quickly. “Thank you for beating us here. Are we good to go?”

“Should be. Everything looks good. “ She extended a drink holder to him. “Triple venti, nonfat white mocha, no whipped cream…”

He stared at the cup. “That’s …huge”

“You said Venti.”

“I did. Damn. Always forget that’s the big one. Oh well. It works. Thanks.”

He grabbed the drink holder, took one sip, and placed the cup down on the coffee table in front of them.

“Ready to roll, guys?” He addressed the station manager and DJ.

Seriously?? One sip? What the hell was she supposed to do with his cup? Seemingly reading her mind, Johnny spoke up.

“He’ll finish it when he comes out of the booth. He likes it kind of cold, anyway…” he winked.

Riley smiled “Noted. Thank you.”

**

The interview went smoothly and for as tired as she was, she was amazed at how quickly Justin turned on the charm and made everyone in the room laugh. She looked around and it seemed like everyone who worked at this station had come to gawk. All eyes on Justin, lost in a sort of trance, fascinated.

She laughed internally. This guy. He had some kind of pull. Maybe that’s why she had gotten this job.

She did not seem to understand the magic.

The interview wrapped up, and off-air, Justin and the DJ caught up. She heard some mention of a sports team, and a promise neither of them would probably keep about catching a game together.

Justin laughed and hugged him, and headed out to where Riley and Johnny waited.

“How’d I do…”

Shit…Riley had not really been listening.

“Great! Never worried about you.” Johnny offered, glancing at Riley.

“No hiccups that I could tell, “ Riley added, handing him his abandoned latte.

Justin took the cup from her. “Marin…just so you know…You don’t have to dress up…”

Dress UP? She was wearing JEANS and a blazer from H&M.

“Oh. Right well, wasn’t sure.”

He smiled. “You’re gonna be busy. Whatever you are comfortable in.”

“Got it. Any remaining business here we need to wrap up with the station?


“I think we’re good here.” He cocked his head to the side, as if a thought had just occurred to him.

“Riley…Did we get you the album yet?”

UGH. No…And she didn’t particularly want it.

“No, not yet.”

“You should have that. Familiarity and everything. I have that album breakdown session next week. I’ll want you to preview the questions. They won’t make sense if you haven’t heard the album.”

“Yeah. That makes sense. “

“Great. We’ll get you one. Just…Don’t share it, ok?”

Riley smiled “Not my first rodeo, Justin. Lock and key.”

“Hmph. Ok, well…On to the studio session?”

“Car is on its way!” Riley replied.

 

Next on the agenda was a final listen of Justin’s upcoming album, Man of the Woods, to make sure it was launch ready. She imagined she was there to get him water, order lunch, handle any errands. She was not looking forward to it.


Chapter 4 by IvyVega

Riley settled in to a large plush chair, bottle of water in hand, as Justin focused with military precision to a backing beat.

He held a set of headphones to his ears as his facial expressions changed in time to the music.

 

“Back it up guys…Can we turn up the bass here…”

Riley had to admit, she had always wanted to be a fly on the wall for a studio session, and the day had been pretty easy so far. Justin was doing his thing; in his element.

He was actually getting stuff like water himself, which she had not expected.

Johnny had left to handle other business, so this was the first time she had been alone with Justin on the job.

It was going smoother than she expected. She could tell Justin was comfortable. Having not really followed his solo career, it was almost a surprise when she realized how long he had been doing this.

He was a veteran, and it showed.

She hung back as he spoke in detail about each track and noticed TINY details she would never have thought to pick up on.

It was almost annoying how easygoing he was being. Was this an act? How was this the guy that turned his back on his four brothers?

She even found herself bopping along to some of the songs. There were a few she actually liked.

For a brief moment, she saw the Justin with weird bleached hair. The teenage ball of energy in shiny jerseys. She smiled to herself at the memory.

“Riley…RILEY…”

His voice pulled her out of her daydream.

“Yes? What’s up?”

“We wanna break for lunch soon. Can you get us food?” He asked.

“Of course…In the mood for anything in particular?”

He took a minute to think, scrunching his face as he did so. “Uhhhh…pizza?”

“Oh...that’s easy. Plain? Pepperoni?”

“Yes.”

“Which one, Justin?”

“Surprise us.”

UGH. Now she had to be a mind reader. Great.

“Um. Ok.”

He smirked “You’re a New Yorker. If you don’t know pizza…”

She contemplated a quippy comeback, but there were too many people there.

“Won’t be an issue,” she replied.

She was definitely ordering herself garlic knots. And not sharing.

**

The studio session wrapped up, and Riley made mental note of his mention of a video shoot. He had really scheduled himself into a corner with the Superbowl being right around the corner.

How did he do all this? She was tired just having to manage the scheduling.

She stood to meet him as he walked away from the soundboard.

“Well…You know pizza.” Justin smiled.

“Uh. Thanks. Listen um…Can we go over this month’s schedule quickly. I am seeing some tight turnarounds here.”

He shrugged. “Used to it”

“Glad to hear it. I just want to make sure I understand what I need to handle and remind you of dates and times.”

He sat down on one of the couches “On top of things. I like it. Ok shoot.”

Riley looked down at everything she had managed to keep track of, and her notes.

“Ok, well, this video shoot falls right in the middle of superbowl run-throughs. Is there going to be a potential conflict there? And should we book a car for the whole day?”

Justin rubbed his pant leg with the palm of his hand and bit his lip “Uh...Those are just for marking the show order, really. The big rehearsals will be when I get to Minneapolis. That shoot is just part of the video… Sounds like a lot I guess.”

“It does. Car?”

“Yeah- Yeah…Book the whole day.” His voice sounded distant.

“Oookay. Noted. “

Justin got up suddenly without looking at her, and grabbed a CD off the shelf.  It was random.

“Here...advance copy. Like I said, you should be familiar. Busy few weeks. “ Justin handed her the CD and sat back down, this time picking at the fabric of his jeans.

“Th-ank you. Uh…I was going to check in on your place the Saturday after you leave. Cleaner is coming that Friday. Does that work.”

“Uh huh…” He wasn’t even looking at her. He wasn’t looking at anything. What the hell?

“Justin…”

“Hmm?” he looked at her lazily, his eyes cloudy.

“Did I…do something wrong?”

“No?” He looked confused.

“Oh. Alright well um…Guess we should head out?”

“I um…You can go. I’ll wrap up and get myself home.”

“Oh. Sure. I’ll…Talk to you tomorrow.”

“Night Marin.” He was tapping his foot now.

Something was off. Did he take something? Should she have been watching for that? She had seen pictures of him drinking, like any other celebrity, but she was wondering if there was more she didn’t know. She stared at him for a second before turning around to leave, but she was concerned.

“Justin are you ok?” she asked cautiously, walking slowly toward him.

“Fine, why?” He was pacing the room, straightening random things. “Finishing up. Good night.”

“Need some help with that?” She went to grab a chord he had knocked loose.

“MARIN STOP. “ She jumped back a little. His voice sounded agitated, and there was a slight panic in his eyes. Panic? Shame?

“Sorry,” She dropped the chord.

He stopped what he was doing, recognition flooding his face. “Fuck…FUCK…”

He sat back down on a couch and ran his hands down his legs before running one of them over his head.

“Shit Riley. Sorry.” He took a few deep breaths and closed his eyes.

“Look it’s not my place but…but if you took something I-“

 

“I didn’t take anything, Marin,” he said quietly, defeated. “Sit down. I guess there’s something else you should know…”

Chapter 5 by IvyVega

“Wow. I had no idea,” Riley breathed. “So how often…”

“Depends. On what I have going on, on what happened that day. On who’s around. I can mostly control it.” Justin explained.

Anxiety. ANXIETY? Justin Timberlake, prince of pop, star of teenage dreams, cocky pop star - dealt with anxiety? 

She would have never guessed. It never seemed to her that he had any struggles. He definitely hid it well. Then it dawned on her. 12. He became famous when he was 12. She started to try to imagine her childhood in the spotlight. She couldn’t.

She quickly went over his schedule in her head for the next few weeks, a few weeks in a career that was over 20 years long. It was daunting. 

Wow, Riley...You would have anxiety, too… 

“So what do I need to know...Do?”

Justin sighed. “I guess know what to look for..” He looked a little embarrassed suddenly. “I think I get quiet.”

“Distant?” she offered.

“Yeah. Yeah, and ...Unfocused?”

“Ok. and what helps?”

“Yell at me.”

“I’m sorry, what??”

“I have to be..brought back to reality. Don’t curse me out, Marin, just- snap me out of it.”

“Won’t that just make it worse?”

“Sometimes, but I don’t exactly have the time to- fall apart…”


Wow. No time to fall apart. Wow. Being a celebrity 101. Riley’s heart sank a little. She may not be famous, but she knew that feeling.


“I get it Justin. I get it…” Riley looked down.

 She thought of Derek. She thought of all the time she spent at home lately. Why her life had felt so foreign to her since he had left. Why not much made her truly happy anymore. But she had pressed on. Life happens, and she didn’t have the luxury of taking a break from it. 

Justin looked over at her. There was an awkward pause and he noted her silence. The look on her face. She did get it. How did she get it? Who was Riley, really? He realized he didn’t really know anything about her.

She spoke up, breaking the awkwardness. “ For what it’s worth...You can’t tell Justin. I would have never guessed.”

“You just met me, Marin..”

“No, yeah I know but I mean, in general, ya know from-I mean ya know appearances and performances and...stuff.”

He smirked. “Stuff?”

“Yeah. I mean I own a tv.”

“Uh huh...and my face-”

“Oh my God NO. I just. I knew who you were, Justin. Not living under a rock.”

“How long have you known who I am...”

He was having entirely too much fun now. 

“Awhile, I guess.”

“You guess...since like...I dunno...2000?”

“Why does it matter, Justin?” 

He smiled “Riley...Were you an *NSync fan…?”

She felt her face go red “Wasn’t everyone…?”

No, no they weren’t, Riley, she thought quickly to herself.

Justin started to laugh. It was a laugh she had heard as a kid. A laugh she immediately recognized. He couldn’t help himself, and it got a little higher pitched the longer it went on.

“Childhood things, Justin. Can we drop it?”

He calmed himself down and noticed her expression. 

“Ohhhhhh…”

“What?”

“Huh. Makes sense now…” He said, some sort of realization in his eyes.

“What makes sense?”

“Nothing.”

“Justin…”

“Nothing, Marin...It’s fine. I’m sorry I had you worried. Now you know, though. Thank you for making sure I was ok.”

“That’s my job, right?” she said simply. 

He gave her a small smile “Right. I’ll see you at the shoot.”


Bingo. She hated him. Or at least she resented him. 

 Justin tried not to pay too much attention to tabloids and rumors and critics, but he knew what was said about him. He knew it would happen when he started making music on his own. He knew that most people had no idea what had actually happened, or the real story of *NSync’s “break.” That most people had no clue how much he thought of or spoke to his four brothers, or how he wished things were different. They didn’t need to know. It was their story and their story alone to tell. 

Her guard made sense now. Who was this woman? She kept herself buttoned up, but he could tell there was an edge there. He had seen her resume. He knew she was smart, and could see the spark hiding in her eyes. She was going to be an amazing assistant, if only because she refused to fail. Felt familiar. She needed to relax, though. How would he get her to relax? 

He hated making people uncomfortable. Another thing most people didn’t know…

 

Chapter 6 by IvyVega

“UGH JUST..WHY..HOW? How does he look like that??” Katie exclaimed between sips of her margarita. 

On her tv, Justin had just ridden into the desert on a motorcycle and taken a shower under a conveniently placed faucet in the middle of nowhere. Seriously??

“Any chance he still has that jacket, Ry? Could you find out?”

Riley groaned. “No. No, I can’t. You know I can’t.”

“I mean, but you couullld.” 

It was gonna be a LONG night.

Katie and Emi had dutifully taken her through Justified, Justin’s first album, including selections from Katie’s Live from London DVD, and all promotional appearances.  

She remembered more than she realized. She was 13 when it came out, and remembered going with Katie and her mom to buy it the day it came out. Katie had been beside herself, loyal to a fault with anything having to do with *NSync. 

Riley had been upset that Justin had gone solo, and had all but abandoned the CD after the first few listens. It hurt too much. 

They had progressed to 2006, FutureSexLoveSounds, when Emi mentioned him working with Rihanna. Riley was unfamiliar, and they had insisted on a detour.

“This isn’t even his song, guys...I thought we were doing real research here…”

“He’s in the video, Riley, and he wrote the song… He doesn’t just write for himself. That’s important to know.”

Riley rolled her eyes. “Fine, fair point.”  She didn’t want to admit it, but he looked good in this video. Too good. That was her boss. Inappropriate.

A decision was made to skip any movies he had done, since Katie and Emi were split on how good an actor he was, but all 3 of them had thoroughly enjoyed a sidebar of his SNL appearances. He was funny. Riley would give him that.

“Ok Ry, here is where we peak. 20/20”

Riley laughed “You are nuts. It’s not that serious.”

Katie and Emi shot her a look. 

Riley made a face. “Geez. Sorry. Ok. Enthrall me.”

Katie pressed play on her laptop and the swell of a violin started up. 

Oh wow. She hadn’t expected that. The song quickly progressed to a chorus she had heard Katie and Emi sing along to. Oh yeah, this song. Not bad. Not bad at all, actually.

Katie and Emi had given in to full fangirl and were hopping around singing, complete with adlibs and voice inflections that went over her head. “THAT PUSHER LOVE...THAT’S WHAT I CALL IT…” 

Riley laughed. She hadn’t exactly been looking forward to spending her entire night listening to Justin Timberlake, but she loved these girls. Thank God for them.

A few songs later, a synthesizer blared, and she knew what it was. She actually used to love this song. It was gorgeous, and the lyrics had sent her into a trance the first time she heard it. Love was an amazing filter for songs like this. 


Her mind shot back to a random weekend road trip.


 It was a rare sunny late winter’s day, and Derek had suggested they go upstate for the day. They had both had crazy weeks at work, and a change of scenery was just that they needed.

Riley had won control of the radio, like she usually did, and when a voice came through the speakers, Derek had reached for the dial “Uh oh..” She had reached out to stop him.

“Eh. This song is actually really pretty…” Derek had smiled “Well, well, well..”

“Shut up,” she had laughed “I’m not heartless. Good music is good music.”

“CUZ I DON’T WANNA LOSE YOU NOOWWWW…” Derek had a horrible voice. 

“Stop it..stop it now..” she giggled.

“I’M LOOKIN RIGHT AT THE OTHER HALF OF ME…”

“You can go ahead and stop.” she teased, her smile betraying her.

“THE BIGGEST THING THAT SET IN MY HEART…”

“I don’t think that’s what he’s saying…” She let herself give in to full laughter. “Oh my God…”


She shook her head, and tried to focus on the present. 

“Um...We can skip this one. I know it. I like it, actually.” Her face said otherwise.

A lovey ballad. Katie and Emi gave each other a knowing look.

“Uh yeah sure. Yay! One you like…” Emi managed.

“This would actually be a great time to do the Netflix special..” Katie suggested

“OOOOH Yeah, Ya gotta see that, Ry...SO GOOD.” Emi agreed.

This was honestly just turning into Katie and Emi trying to make her a fan. It wasn’t working, but she was getting a new perspective, which was probably a good thing. 

Riley watched as Justin commanded the stage. 

He does kinda clean up nice, actually, she thought.

A few years had obviously passed, and this looked a little more like the Justin she had to deal with daily. Only he was more playful. Happier. Was he a better actor than she gave him credit for, or was the stage his happy place? Hmm.

As she got lost watching, she was interrupted by two sets of eyes staring at her, grinning.

“Oh my God you love this…” Emi teased.

“WHAT...No! I’m studying. I’ve never seen him like this. Ya know...not when I’m working.”

“Uh huh...You mean charming? Hott?” Katie offered. 

Riley threw a couch pillow at her.

“No, ass..”

Katie laughed. “Come on, Ry…”

“It’s a good show! Well done, ok…” Riley admitted “I never said he wasn’t talented…that’s not my issue, and you know it.”

“Oh Riley ...You’re gonna have to ease up a bit, I mean...He’s paying you. You wanna be miserable every day?” Emi pointed out.

Riley sighed. Maybe they were right. She hated it, but she was going to have to swallow her pride and accept her situation.



**

Riley made her way to the set , carefully balancing two lattes on a drink holder. It turned out they would be there all day, so she had heeded Justin’s advice and dressed a little more for comfort. 

She opted for inconspicuous, and had chosen a simple black hoodie, her favorite pair of jeggings, and all white Nike hi-tops. She figured a carefully arranged top knot wasn’t TOO unprofessional in this case, and he HAD told her not to dress up. She got to the location and after showing her credentials to the woman with the clipboard who had stopped her, propped her sunglasses on top of her head, seeing if she could spot him. He had texted her saying he was there already. 

“GREAT. There you are.  Not too off schedule but you’ll need to get to makeup right away.” a man in a headset approached her. 

“Oh um...Ok...with Justin..?” 

He looked down at a paper he was holding “Uhh..Yeah he might still be there actually..”

Riley looked at him confused. “Uh...which way?” He directed her to a tent in the distance and she made her way over. What was all that about?

She found her way in and Justin called out to her.

“Marin!...Yessss... Caffeine...Thank you.” She handed him his request and stepped back, not wanting to be in the way. He was just finishing up with wardrobe and makeup. 

Justin looked her up and down, his mouth twisting into an expression she couldn’t quite read. 

“Nice kicks...:”

Riley looked down and remembered their first meeting. Right..sneakerhead. 

“Thanks...What…?” she responded to the way he was looking at her.

“Uh...Nothing..More comfortable today. You take direction well” He winked.

“They’re ready for us,” a voice from behind her spoke. 

She turned around and saw a woman in a black cropped tank and black open zip-up hoodie. Dark hair, brown eyes. 

“Eliza...Riley...Riley...Eliza..” Justin gestured between the two of them. 

“Oh hi! Great to meet you,” the woman smiled and shook Riley’s hand. “You with this one? “ she motioned to Justin.

“Guess you could say that. Busy guy. Needs coffee, ya know?” she smiled. 

What the hell, girl? She really needed to work on her small talk. It used to be so much better.

Justin gave Riley a look.

“Well, I’ll let you guys get to it. Good luck today! Looking forward to watching.”

“Thanks,” Eliza smiled. “Looks like its gonna be a fun shoot.”

Eliza started walking ahead of Justin and he turned back around to whisper near Riley’s ear “Black hoodie...dark hair. Do you always have to match the occasion?” He grinned as he followed Eliza. 


What the hell did that mean?? She followed behind him, a safe enough distance should he need anything.

She watched as Justin confronted a group of people in all white with white painted faces. How did this match the song at all? 

Oh well, who was she to question the creative process? Eliza moved forward to stage a punch.

Nice! Badass female lead. I like it, she thought. 

“Ok GREAT THAT WAS GREAT GUYS. CUT! GOT THAT. Let’s do that sequence one more time…”

She heard Justin and Eliza talking between takes.

“Damn girl...hell of a hook…” he grinned at Eliza.

She laughed “Yeah when its fake. Don’t put me in a ring…” 

Justin smiled “Nah. You could handle your own.” he playfully nudged her arm. 

Eww. It had taken him 2.5 seconds to flirt? Maybe her initial assessment of him was right , after all.

Riley watched as Justin and Eliza shot take after take, frame by frame. 

This was taking a lot longer than she realized. She would never watch a music video the same way again. 

...

Day turned to night, and Riley walked back with food for Justin to eat on a break. 

“THANK You. Starving” he took the food from Riley. He had been busy with a wardrobe change and blocking. The next shots would take place in a car, some sort of chase scene as Justin had described it to her. She wrapped her arms around her hoodie. It was cold. Probably why Justin had changed into a jacket. 

He looked at her.

“Marin. Here.” He tossed the jacket at her. “I don’t need this yet.”

She caught it, surprised. “Oh that’s ok. I’m fine.”

“You’re shivering, Marin. Just wear it,” he said with a mouthful of food.

Eliza walked by, a new outfit in a body hugging long sleeved shirt and metallic choker.

“Look at you!” Justin remarked. His eyes were fully appreciative and his grin was back.

Did he know how to control himself? Geez.

Eliza laughed and made a “ta-da” motion, eyes lowered at Justin. 

Did they need some privacy?

She laughed. “See you at the car, Justin” She continued walking and Riley tried to hide her disgust.

Another headset walked by and confronted Riley “Oh shit...You didn’t change yet?”

“I’m sorry..?” Riley stared back at him.

“We just...We start back up in a few minutes so we need you ready to go..”

What the hell is going on? Riley thought. 

Justin watched, a laugh threatening to escape…

“Uhhh…” He waved at the headset and pointed over to where Eliza was standing, drinking a cup of coffee, and chatting with some extras.

The guy in the headset stared back at Riley with wide eyes and quickly looked at Justin, embarrassed. 

“Oh...Um. My bad. Sorry, ma’am” he looked at Riley before hurrying off.

Justin laughed as Riley looked at him confused.

“You REALLY don’t see it,” he could barely get out between laughs.

“See what?”

“Riley...black hoodie...dark hair...latina…?”

How had hefigured out she was latina? She never told him that. Her last name wasn’t even obvious. 

“Ok…?”

Justin rolled his eyes. “You look alike, Marin...Out here confusing these poor PAs, he laughed a little harder.

Riley’s raised her eyebrows. “Uh...No we don’t.”

“Ok..” he shook his head, finishing his food and walking back to set. “Thanks for dinner, Marin. See you in a few.”

Justin jogged over to Eliza, and Riley watched him say something that made her erupt with laughter and blush.

 

He had NO shame. And what the hell was he talking about. They looked nothing alike...Did they?


Chapter 7 by IvyVega

 

Riley let out a deep sigh and rubbed her forehead. It was later than she wanted to be there with him.

Wasn’t this above her paygrade? Was she an assistant or a designer? And why did he even care what she thought? She wanted to go home.

She sat in the New York WEG office with Justin in a small side room. He had asked her to meet him there to go over some stuff for tour, which had confused her since she had been hired to handle New York only business. 

When she had arrived, she realized it would just be the two of them. He just needed a neutral space to go over stage plans that had just come through, and Johnny and his assistant had been called away to put out some sort of fire with another client. 

She had thought she would be there an hour, maybe two, but four hours had gone by with her doing her best to fully understand everything she was being shown.

 

“...I mean…Is this too much? I really trust these guys, but I just don’t know…I need you to be another set of eyes on this…Marin? …Hello…HELLOOOOO… RILEY!”

 

“HUH…What…Oh uh…Sorry yeah um…Justin I’m…not a set designer or whatever….”

He stared at her. What the hell were his eyes, even? She swore he could cut diamonds with his glare.

“Riley…I hired you to assist. I need your help…”

She adjusted on the couch and grabbed the corner of the blueprint. Justin was wrapping up planning for his Man of the Woods tour, and it was clear this was not going to be like ANY of his other shows before it.

Focus, Riley…He’s asking for your honest opinion…Give it to him….Be nice, though…You need this job…

 

“Hmm…Ok well…This part here…It’s pretty…long and windy for a stage…What was the inspiration here…”

“…The Mississippi River…the part that runs through Memphis…”

“…Wow. Really…” That was a nice touch. She hadn’t figured him for the sentimental type. It was common knowledge he was from Memphis, but it never would have occurred to her he would include this kind of detail.

 

“Yeah…Why…? Is that..”

“No!...No I mean…That’s actually really cool…Your idea?”

“Yeah…” He looked kind of proud of himself, but a little uneasy.

“Justin…Gun to your head…Do you like this stage?”

“Riley that’s why I’m asking you…”

Riley shook her head and sighed “It’s YOUR tour…”

“Marin…seriously..”

“Noooo….It’s YOUR tour…Can we be honest? You could stand on a bare wooden stage in a potato sack and people will come…and scream…and love it…”

Justin shot her daggers.

Shit...Shit…Riley why did you say that…He is your BOSS. Leave your beef out of this…

“Look…I think it looks good…This pit seems a little off…But…It looks good…”

Justin quietly scooted closer to look at the part of the stage she was looking at. She was right. There needed to be a VIP section, but the way the pit was drawn wasn’t right.

“…Yeah…Yeah that should be over here…and match the rest of the layout better.” He started to roll up the blueprint. “Can you email them and let them know…”

“Uh …yeah...yes.” She had never been in contact with his stage designers, but the tone of his voice had changed. It was deeper…Icy. Now was not the time for her to question him.

“Great…You can go home. Thank you…”

“Listen…I’m sorry I…I didn’t mean…”

“…Didn’t mean what? To imply that I’m easy? A cheap trick? “

“Justin NO…Oh my God that’s not – “

“Marin…A lot of thought goes into everything I do. I’m not a dancing circus animal…”

Wow. This was…There was CLEARLY more to this…

“I-I know that…”

“Do you?”

She didn’t know what to say. She had held a grudge against him for a very long time, and she thought she had hidden it well. She obviously had not.

“Yeah…Uh…I’ll send that email. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Good…Don’t worry…From now on you can stick to the easy stuff…errands…Schedules…Think you can handle that without commentary…”

There he is. Asshole.

She felt her blood go hot. Riley Marin had a temper, and her entire life she had struggled to control it. She had messed up. She knew that…But she already felt bad. He had NO right to make her feel stupid, too.

“Why did you hire me, Justin? If I am such an idiot…Why did you hire me?


He was taken aback, but his expression quickly turned to amusement. The smirk that hit his face was infuriating.

“…I couldn’t have known you had an attitude on you like this, could I? You’re a really smooth talker, Marin. Impressed everyone.”

“My name is Riley. NOT Marin”

What are you DOING, Riley…You are going to get fired and then probably blacklisted…

 

But she was caught in the moment. She didn’t care anymore.

“Excuse me?!” he asked, even more amused.

“You never call me by my first name. It’s condescending…”

The low chuckle as he looked down was like fuel to her fire. “Fine. RI-LEY…No one ever said this job was going to be easy. You were warned.” He took a few steps toward her until he was in her face.

“If it’s too much for you, we can find someone else. I’ll need some notice, though…”

“I’m not that easy to get rid of…MR. Timberlake…”

 

Wow. Her mouth had gotten her in trouble plenty in the past, but this was a new level of brave for her…

He smiled. It was half amusement and half fire. She couldn’t read his next move, but she was in too deep. She had to stand her ground.

The air was so thick she could barely breathe. At any minute, she was free to turn around and walk away, but something kept her still. She was waiting for the words from him that never came. She was waiting for him to fire her. She WOULD NOT quit.

The longer she stood there, the more she noticed about him. His breathing was heavy. She had never noticed his eyes in so much detail. They were tired. They were dark blue right now. Darker than the baby blues that used to hang on her wall. His mouth was tight. What was he looking for? She scanned his face for a clue…A cue of what she should do next, but she felt herself start to match his breathing. Uncertain...heavy…expectant.

When did he get even closer?

Why wasn’t she leaving?

Why was the room suddenly so warm?

…Why was she drawn to him…

She would never know who started it, but before she could answer any of her questions, her mouth was on his and his on hers. His hand slipped into the back of her hair, pulling her closer. She gripped the side of his shirt, unsure of what to do with her hands. Their tongues found each other in a strange kind of hunger…

RILEY…WHAT ARE YOU DOING…

A panicked voice in her head snapped her into reality, and she jerked back, pushing him away from her instinctively. She tried to slow her breathing, but was practically panting. WHOA…That was..NOT what she had planned.

 

She looked over to see him, a deer in headlights, with his hands up..

“Riley…Riley. I- What…”

She was on the couch again, head in her hands.

“Shit…SHIT…”

He gripped the back of his neck. This was awkward.

“Uh. What are - Are you ok…”

“NO! No I’m not okay!”

“Do you? Um…I’m sorry. Do you not…want to?”

“Shut UP…Shut UP….”

“Did you want to stop-“

“YES! No…GAWD DAMN IT”

“Riley, I don’t know what that was I didn’t…”

“Shhh…Stop. Just stop. What the FUCK do we do now? We just…WHY?! How do we even…Oh GOD…”

 

“…A little dramatic, maybe…?”

“Are you KIDDING ME, JUSTIN?”

“I mean…We can just…forget it..”

“NO! We can’t…”

Justin sighed. “You really are the most frustrating woman on the planet.”

“…Yeah…So I’ve been told…”

 

He stopped. Her body language had changed. What did she mean?

“…Wait, WHAT?”

“Nothing. Look, I need a drink. Is there a bar we can go to where you won’t get jumped?”

 

He laughed to himself. Riley was a little crazy. This could be fun.

“Yeah…Yeah I know a place…Get up…Let’s go…”

**

The car ride was silent. Neither Riley nor Justin knew what to say.

Riley felt awkward riding in a fancy car she had arranged. She was more an Uber girl than a private Lincoln towncar girl. This was her life now, though, she guessed. At least when he was around.

The car stopped. 

“We’re here, Marin.”

They both thanked the driver as they got out of the car, and Riley looked at the building in front of her. There was no sign indicating a bar, no one outside smoking,  nothing that said “New York bar” to her.

“Is this the part where you kill me at an obscure location?”

Justin laughed. “No way. WAY too obvious.” He flashed her a smile that was entirely too charming for her liking. “Come on…”

He led her down a small set of stairs through a door with graffiti on it.  Had she been here before, or did this just feel a LOT like a place drunk college Riley would have ended up?

Probably the latter.

Once inside, Riley was still unconvinced this wasn’t the beginning of an episode of an Investigation Discovery show. It was dark and smelled vaguely like old liquor. A long bar hugged a brick wall in what looked like an abandoned basement. Exposed lighting and a Victorian chandelier hung above them. A giant, and creepy looking rabbit painted on the wall stared at her.

“Charming. Just what I pictured..” Riley looked around.

Justin smiled “ Well I thought the ritz would be too risky…” he quipped.

“Touche, Justin.” 

They both sat at the bar, and the bartender walked over, greeting Justin first.

“Hey, my man what’s up...Been awhile…”

“Yeah man...Been outta town…”

“Right, right...Hi there” he flashed a smile at Riley. He knew Justin? This didn’t seem at all like a place Justin Timberlake would frequent.”

“Hi. Uh. Riley” she extended her hand by way of introduction. He took it and shook her hand firmly, the subtext being he wondered what she was doing there with Justin.

Justin fixed that. “Riley here is helping me with New York business. “

The bartender’s expression changed, having gotten his explanation.

“Right on..Well I’m Adam, Riley...What can I get for ya?”

“Uhh...Espolon? On the rocks?”

Adam looked impressed “Can do. Usual, Justin?”

Justin had his eyes on Riley, but answered “Uh, yeah thanks.”

Adam walked away to get their drinks.

“Tequila, huh...Goodnight, Marin” he teased.

Riley smirked “I’m Mexican, Timberlake. Lifeblood.”

“Eyyyy... “ he laughed, hands up. 


They got their drinks and Justin took a swig of his. 

“So...We gonna talk about it?”

“Can we not?” Riley winced.

Justin nodded. “I suppose we don’t have to. Less complicated.”

“Exactly. Let’s just...move on. It was a fluke.”

“Fair enough,” Justin agreed. “But ya know...Kinda glad it happened.”

“Excuse me?”

“Got us here, didn’t it? I know nothing about you, Riley.”

“Do you need to?”

“Seems like it would make things a little easier, don’t you think?”

“I’m here to do a job, Justin.”

“So, you never got to know any of your coworkers before?”

Damn. He had her. 

“I mean...Different environment, right?”

“Is it? I mean, isn’t this more personal? PERSONAL assistant…”

“Fair point.” She took another sip of tequila.

“Look, Riley...I understand I can’t do this all by myself. Nature of the beast, but I’m just a guy. Really.”

Oh, she knew that much. She had seen it on the video set.

“Just a guy. Right. “ she looked down at her glass.

“I don’t...I don’t wanna be some diva, Riley. You’re doing ME a favor, not the other way around, and I do appreciate it.”

“Ok, um, what do you wanna know?”

He thought for a second, and decided to just get it over with.

“Exactly how much do you hate me?”

Whoa. Direct shot. She was NOT expecting that. 

“What?!”

“Are you at like ‘Scum of the Earth’ or like ‘I’m mad he walked away..’ “

“English, please?” she asked.

“Riley, it’s fine. I’m used to it. I get it. I killed *NSync. Right?” There was a sadness in his eyes that threw her completely off. 

“Wow. Justin…”

“Gloves off, Riley. We just kissed, for God’s sake.”

“I thought we weren’t talking about that.” 

“We aren’t...Sorry.” He gulped his drink.

She sighed. “I mean...I’ve been upset for a long time. I know that’s not fair. I was a kid, Justin. It meant a lot to me.”

“It meant a lot to me, too. More than you know.”

“You mean that?”

“Do you think I do?”

She looked at him. Oh shit, he did.

“Yeah...I do,” she breathed. “I didn’t, but I do…”

He was quiet. “Wanna get it out? Call me whatever you need to call me?”

She seriously considered it, then took another sip.

“I think we’re past that, maybe?”

“I mean I hope so.”

She smiled, then laughed a little.

“What?” he matched her laugh.

“I just...Life surprises you.”

“You have no idea,” he laughed. 

“Hey, have you been...ya know...good?” she asked, remembering his anxiety attack.

“Yeah..Yeah I think so. Thanks.”

“Making sure,” she raised her glass. 

“To understanding each other better?” He lifted his. 

She smiled and clinked his glass “To understanding each other better.”

**

Two rounds later, they were both comfortable in conversation, the bar thankfully not being busy that night. 

“So ya know...I don’t know. I guess with my schedule I just..Hard to meet someone who’s cool with that, ya know? And the ones that are, well..I tried.” Justin continued, taking another drink from his glass.

Riley nodded “I could see that…”

“What about you? Sorry...Is that too personal?”

“Me? Hmm… Haven’t really been in the mood for all that.”

“Alright,” he said. 

“I’m kind of difficult, I guess.”

He smiled “Ya don’t say...Actually, you did. What did you mean back at the office, Riley?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well..You said you’ve been told that you’re - frustrating…”

She downed the rest of her tequila.
“Oh, that...Um. My ex. My ex fiance, actually. He uh, he shared your frustration.”

“I had no idea, Riley, I’m sorry.”

God, Justin you ARE an ass, he thought.

“No, no, it’s ok. How could you know? Anyway...I guess things just got...harder with my career for him and he didn’t like, not having me around as much?”

Justin nodded and sighed. “Yeah, that happens…”

“He cheated on me, actually, so I guess he did me a favor…”

“Ah. So he’s a dick,” Justin finished his drink.

Riley almost choked on air. “No..No he’s…” Riley sighed. “Yeah, yeah I guess he is.”

“Great girl- smart, driven, loyal, cute...but not enough? Yeah...Dick,” Justin confirmed. He might have been a little tipsy.

“Probably better, anyway. I mean , before I moved to Texas with him and all..” Riley might also have been a little tipsy.

“Oh wow,” Justin reacted. “Another round?”

Riley let some tension out of her body. She hadn’t opened up to anyone about Derek besides Katie, Emi, and her brothers before. It actually felt kind of good. 

“Yeah...I think we better,” she laughed.

**

At the end of the night, Riley didn’t know how much tequila she had drank, but she felt better. Her secret was out, and it wasn’t an issue anymore. Both secrets, actually.

Justin seemed different to her, too. More laid back. Maybe he really had wanted to get to know her a little better. She gave him the basics of her life, not more than he needed, and he gave her his.

She hoped this was real, and held the next time she had to be on a set or at an interview with him. 

Justin had paid the tab. A nice gesture, she had thought, and they got up to leave. 

That’s when she felt it. The room was spinning. 

“Whew... good night had by all,” she joked as she stumbled. 

“You ok there, killer?” he chuckled, his own eyes droopy. 

“I’m fine. Just tired. It’s late.” 

“Let’s get you home, yeah?”

“I mean...we could do that. Unless you’re hungry? I’m hungry.”

Justin laughed. Riley was definitely drunk. 

“Riley where do you live?”

“Bruhklyn”

“Where in Brooklyn?”

“By trees.”

“What trees?” he laughed. 

“There’s a park...the one...You know…”

“That...could be anywhere, Riley. RILEY.” She was fading.

“Justin I’m so tired…” She grabbed his arms. 

“Ok. Ok come on.” He grabbed her bag and wrapped his arms around her and helped her outside before they could cause a scene.

“Riley, listen. Listen to me,” he shook her lightly to wake her up.”

“Hmmm?”

“Can you give me your address? Can I trust you in a cab?”

“I’m so hungry. So tired.”

Shit. He probably should have cut her off. Maybe this was his fault. Did he get in a cab and get her to Brooklyn? Could he do that? He had a beanie on...Was that enough? The last thing he needed was to put either of them at risk. He had to make a decision quickly. He wasn’t exactly sober himself.

“Ok Riley look at me ok? My apartment is down that block. Wanna go sleep it off?”

“Yeah...Yeah...and tacos…”

He bit his lip, to keep from laughing. “Tacos later, Riley...Sleep now, ok?”

She nodded, and fell into him a little. 

“I got you. I got you.” he steadied her and held on so she wouldn’t fall. “ Come on…” 

**

It was a longer walk to his place than usual, but Justin had safely gotten Riley into one of his guest bedrooms. She had insisted on tacos again, but passed out pretty quickly once her head hit the pillow. 

There she was. He had finally gotten to see the real Riley a little bit, and he liked this version a lot more. He smiled to himself as he covered her with a blanket. 

This one was special. They were stuck with each other now, and he didn’t mind one bit.

“Yep. This is gonna be interesting,” he said to himself before heading to his own bedroom. “Goodnight, Riley…”



Chapter 8 by IvyVega

Riley’s vision swirled as the pounding in her head woke her up.

“Oww. Fuck.” she commented to herself, as she gripped her forehead. 

She rolled over and propped herself up to reach for her phone. Wait...Where was her phone?

She felt around a satin sheet she did not recognize. 

“What the hell…”

Riley sat up alarmed, making her headache worse. “Oh my God…”

She scanned the foreign room and landed on her purse on a nightstand she had never seen in her entire life. Grabbing it and finding her phone inside, she noticed a text notification. 

“Fun night *laugh emoji*  You’re in my guest room. See you in the morning.”

It was from Justin. 

His guest room? Why was she- And like a flash the night started coming back to her.

The kiss, the bar, the tequila- 

She didn’t remember coming back to his place. What happened? Did something happen? 

Mortified, she smoothed down the top of her hair and texted him back.

“Justin…?”

“Morning, tequila girl...I’m downstairs...staircase to your left”

Riley sighed and did her best to redo her bun. She grabbed a mirror from her bag and did a quick check. Her eyeliner was a mess. 

“Cute, Riley...cute…” She wiped some of it away and did the best she could to make herself look normal. She was still fully dressed. GREAT sign.

She slowly made her way to the door and spotted a short staircase on the left as promised. Trying to ignore her dizziness and the fact that her head was killing her, she made her way downstairs to find him on his couch, scribbling something in a notebook.

He looked up and smiled “She’s ALIIIIVE…”

“Uh...Is there water?”

He snickered. “Yeah.” He got up and made his way to the kitchen “And coffee, but I made it so it might be trash...”

“Great. Um...I can get it.”

He laughed “Do you know where the cups are?”

“No”

“Uh huh.” He grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and handed it to her then walked over to a small cabinet. “Go sit down.”

She watched him pour coffee into a mug. 

“Black?” he looked at her.

“Oh...Do you have cream or anything?”

“Um. Almond milk. Sugar?”

The thought of anything sweet right now now sent her stomach flipping. “No just..Almond milk is fine”

He walked over and set it down in front of her. 

“Thanks.” She felt so stupid. Her boss had just done her own job for her.

She made note of how he was dressed, which made her feel even weirder. 

Gray Nike sweatpants and navy v-neck. No socks or shoes. Katie would have killed for a picture.

“How you feeling? “ he smiled.

“Honestly like crap.” she answered 

“I bet…”

“Justin did um...what happened last night?”

He looked at her amused. “Not tacos,” he laughed and she remembered.

“Damn it.” She put the cup of coffee down and hid her face in her hands. “I’m so sorry this is...well this is embarrassing.”

“Nah. We’ve all done it. Usually not with a boss, but…”

“Justin, stop. I am. Listen, I understand if I crossed a line. This is completely inappropriate.”

“Riley, I suggested another round. Two people were drinking. Relax.”

She didn’t remember what day it was. She didn’t know if he was late to something. She hadn’t let go in months, and this is what had happened. 

Great job, she thought to herself.

Riley took a sip of coffee. “Well, I should get home. I’m sure Benji is hungry.”

“Benji?”

“Oh, sorry. My dog.”

Justin smiled. “I love dogs. What kind?”

“He’s a mini poodle mix...rescue, actually.”

“Bring him along sometime,” Justin suggested.

Riley glanced over at the notebook he had been writing in. “Why were you up?”

Justin sat down. “Uh. Just got an idea for a song.”

“You never stop, do you?”

Justin blushed a little “Not really…”

“Well. Thanks for this” She held up the cup. “And making sure I was safe.”

“Just returning the favor. Want a little tour before you go? Ya know...for when you come check in?”

Riley felt a little better after some caffeine and hydration, and nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”

************************

Riley got out of the car and made her way into the small event space . She had to admit, she was getting used to not having to take the subway. It made life a lot easier. She could see purple-hued uplighting and an arched, tree lined entryway.


Classy. Woodsy. Makes sense.


Her being there today was more of a formality. She couldn’t imagine how much she would have to do at an exclusive listening party but Justin had asked her to be there, anyway.


“You ready?” He asked when she got inside. He looked nice. Somehow, he was one of the few guys she could recall who made flannel look like an occasion outfit. Maybe it was the designer jeans he had on or the perfectly coordinated beanie. Luxury lumberjack, she thought.


“Yeah. Actually kind of looking forward to seeing what people think,” Riley answered.

“Well that makes one of us…” Justin said. He looked nervous.


“Am I gonna have to yell at you today?” Riley joked.

“Stay tuned…” he smirked.


**

The event was going well. It was so hard to tell what people thought. These industry people were stone walls. She did notice a few people moving along to a few of the tracks, though. 

Justin sat in a corner, his face giving nothing away. She made a note to keep an eye on him. 

If there was ever an opportunity for him to be in his head, this was it.


As the album ended, there were a few appreciative cheers and a clap or two. 

On to the champagne. 


Justin walked over to hand her a glass. “Well, it’s out there now.”


“Cheers, Justin,” she held up her glass and he clinked it.


He made his way around the room, turning on the charm as always. Riley quietly moved around the room, taking care of empty bottles and keeping select people’s glasses full. It wasn’t her job, but she felt awkward doing nothing.


She noticed Justin talking to someone, a woman. She didn’t look familiar, but she definitely had a presence. Her smile was bright, and her deep brown eyes matched it’s spark. Justin lingered a little as he spoke to her. Hmmm. Who was she?


**

“...So, Yeah, this is actually my first time out of Detroit. A lot to take in...New York is amazing.”


Justin smiled. She wasn’t wrong, but her enthusiasm was refreshing; new. He was taken back to the first time he had arrived in NYC, bright eyed and full of hope.


“Pretty impressive, though. You must have some pipes. All expenses paid to network?”


She blushed. “I’m alright, I guess…”


“I’d love to hear your stuff. I’ll have Johnny set it up.”


Her eyes got wide. “Oh, um. Sure. That would be great.”

“Well, enjoy the party. See you soon, Yolanda.”

“Uh, yeah. Looking forward to it,” she smiled. “Until then, Justin…”

 

Justin shook her hand, smiling. She was gorgeous. He really hoped her voice was, too.

Chapter 9 by IvyVega

“Katie it’s starting!” Riley shouted from the living room. 


Katie practically skidded into the room, beer in hand, from the kitchen as Jimmy Fallon’s voice announced “....GO GET HIM, JUSTIN!”


“Damn, girl..” Alex laughed. 


Riley’s oldest brother had invited everyone over for a Superbowl party to make up for missing brunch. His 6 year old was GLUED to the tv, a mini Justin fan himself.  She could not escape him anywhere in her life. Riley laughed as he bounced along to the opening notes of the show.


“Hey, HE gets it...” Katie smiled and handed Riley the beer she had grabbed for her. “DANG, Ry...Your boy looks GOOD….”


“He is not my boy, Katie,” she rolled her eyes. 


He did look REALLY good, though…


“How’s that going, sis?” Alex asked. 


“Busy,” she took a sip of her beer. “But ya know, busy is good. Glad to have this week off, though.”


She didn’t dare tell them she was actually checking on his apartment while he was gone.


“Ry, Seriously... Look at him. I swear I hate you.” Emi breathed as she stared at the tv.


“He didn’t invite you out to this?” Diego asked.

“Invite? No.” Riley laughed “Besides look at this, do you know how much WORK I would be doing for this?” She had to admit, though, could have been cool to see a Superbowl in person. 


Even her brothers were dancing a little. The pacing was smooth, and she couldn’t deny that his energy was unreal.


By the time he hit a dance break, she felt something new for him: Pride. She had seen how hard he had worked for this performance, and could tell how much fun he was having. 


He sat down at the piano, and she found herself smiling. “Good job, Justin…” she whispered.


The entire room’s jaws fell when Prince appeared above him and he sang along.


Katie and Emi were too invested to notice her reaction. 

Thank God.


Then “that” song. 


Damn it, Justin… 


She felt a tear roll down her cheek…


“JUST PUT YOUR HAND ON THE PAST…I’LL REACH OUT AND PULL YOU THROUGH” She heard Katie’s voice as she tugged at Riley to get up. 

“Stop…” Riley smiled.


“YOU JUST GOTTA BE STRONG...” Emi pulled her other arm. Riley caved and got up, swaying arm in arm with her friends. 


Alex and Diego looked on, laughing as they tried to sing along.


“You’re both crazy!” Riley giggled.


“And you don’t hate him, anymore…” Katie teased…


Riley rolled her eyes through a smile “Whatever…I GOT THAT SUNSHINE IN MY POCKET” she sang as her friends squealed.


Maybe she didn’t...




************


Riley waited in the black towncar. It was raining as she looked out the window, and monitored her phone for any updates. They were parked at a private gate - Something out of an action/adventure spy movie. She half expected a mysterious crew to show up with suitcases and burner phones to deliver a secret message to her.


The click of an unlock button and a door opening interrupted her daydream as a scruffy smile greeted her. “Hey Marin…”


She scooted over to let him in “Welcome back, Justin…” Riley smiled. “How was your flight.”


He shrugged “It was fine. Everything set up at the studio?”


“Yep. Good to go...You sure you don’t need a nap or something first?”

“Nah. I’ll be ok.”


“So um...Great job at Superbowl..” Riley looked at him.


“You watched? “ he smiled.


“Justin - It’s the Superbowl. Everyone watched…”


“Uh huh...Man, what a rush…”


“Well you killed it, so…”


“Thanks, Riley.” He had half expected her to blow it off, part of him flattered she hadn’t.


“Looks like Yolanda is gonna beat us there,” Riley stated, getting back to business. “I let them know she’s clear to wait for us inside. That ok?”


“Of course. Honestly just glad we could squeeze this in before tour.”


“You’re cutting it close. Take a break some time, would ya?” Riley joked.


“ You know I won’t ” Justin laughed.


They walked into the studio and Yolanda waited on a couch. Her tight curls fell in her face as she scrolled her phone. In the dim light, her skin was highlighted at an angle and her looks were obvious.


“THERE she is..” Justin beamed. “Hey girl…”


She looked up. “Hello again,” she smiled, getting up to greet him. 


He hugged her and stepped back to look at her. “Well, long time no see. Let’s see what you’ve got.”


“I’m a little nervous. I’m used to the setup in my room and my cousin’s studio. This is gorgeous.” She looked around.


“Same idea,” Justin reassured her. “Just sing. Don’t even think about it.”


“I’ll try.”


“Did you bring your mixes?” he asked.


“Oh uh, yeah…” She grabbed a flash drive out of her bag and handed it to him. 


“Ok. let’s go. Grab those headphone.” He smiled.


They got set up as Yolanda stepped into the booth. Justin spoke through the mic. 

“Ok so just..Pretend you’re in your room.”


Riley watched from the side, genuinely curious to hear Yolanda’s voice. 


He pressed play and slid a few controls as the music started. 


Yolanda closed her eyes and took a deep breath before launching into a cascading opening sequence. 


WOW. This girl could SING. Justin’s eyes went wide and he looked down to hide his reaction. 


She continued on, and Justin stopped her 2 minutes in. 


“Damn, girl…” he looked at her “You came to PLAY, huh?”


She blushed from behind her mic. “Was that ok?”


“Okay?? Honey...Your life is about to change…”



***


Riley watched as they worked through two songs, and recorded new mixes. They were almost done wrapping up two usable demos, when Justin turned to her.


“Riley...You mind grabbing us a couple coffees? Usual for me and a regular coffee for Yolanda?”


“Of course! Be back in a few. “ Riley got up. She could use some caffeine, herself. 


**


As Riley picked up her order and turned to leave, she was stopped by a familiar voice that froze her in her tracks. 


“RILES? Is that you…”


What was he doing here?


She turned around slowly, careful to remind herself she was still “at work” to keep herself strong. “D-Derek uh...Hi…”


“Hey! Wow. Long time no...How are you?”

“Fine. Uh...What are you doing in New York?” 

Derek had gone ahead after they split and moved to Austin. A clean break. How nice for him, while she was left to pick up the pieces of her life at home. 


“Ah..Actually here on business for a couple months. Project lead for a new division.”

“Impressive,” she managed.


“Yeah, I guess...Wow. What a surprise, huh? What are you up to these days?”

“You know...Life...Actually just on a break from work ...Gotta get these back,” she lifted the drink tray. 


“Yeah, yeah of course uh...Listen I uh..I’d love to grab a drink while I’m in town. Clear the air a little? Riley I know things didn’t end…”

“Derek, I don’t think so-”


“Just a drink, Riles - um..Riley. I think it’d be good for both of us.”

Riley looked down and sighed. “Fine. Um..Text me. I gotta go. “


She made her legs move, needing to get back to the studio as soon as she could. She felt like she had seen a ghost. In a way, she had. 


She made her way back into the studio and stopped short, noticing Justin and Yolanda laughing. They sat next to each other, Justin playfully squeezing her arm. Her eyes bore into him as she smiled coyly, and he was hanging on her every word. 


OH this day was getting better and better…


Riley cleared her throat. “Um...Sorry… Coffee” she weakly announced. 


Justin took a quick breath, looking as though he had been caught.. “Thanks, Riley.” He stood up quickly to grab the drinks. “We’re uh..we’re almost done for the day.”


Yolanda moved a section of hair bashfully behind her ear and took a sip of her coffee. “Thank you. I needed this.” she gestured at Riley.

 

Riley needed something stronger.

Chapter 10 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Hi Friends...

 

Buckle up...This chapter gets...interesting... ;)

Riley stopped at a park bench to sit and pulled out her phone. Benji pranced back and forth, finally settling down to lay at her feet. It felt nice to be able to walk him with no time limit. 


“Just a little business, Benj...Then we can play…”


Benji looked up at her and huffed, wedging his head between his legs. 


“...Or go home. “ She laughed “Lazy…” 


Apartment is good. Did you get the calendar update I synced for your trip? She texted him. 


That’s the purpose of a sync, Marin...Yes *wink emoji*


Ha. Ha. Anyway, the car is set for when you land, as a separate calendar item. I’ll see you soon…


Miss me? Justin replied


You’ve only been gone for like two weeks, Justin… she answered..


Ouch. That hurts…


She rolled her eyes and put her phone back in her coat pocket. Justin was travelling by helicopter back to New York from DC for a quick stop on the first leg of his Man of The Woods tour. 

After months of planning, Riley was looking forward to seeing how it all turned out. She had no idea how he was going to pull off all the plans she had seen- and that wasn’t even every part of the show. 


“Ok up, Benj...Let’s go…” Benji whined and made himself flatter against the ground. “Hey buddy come on...It’s cold…”


She bent down to ruffle his fur, riling him up a little before he hopped up and propped his paws against her legs. 


“Up, huh? You need me to carry you, too…Have you been talking to Justin?” she smirked.


*****


Riley made her way into the side door at Madison Square Garden, secretly a little excited. 

Professional or not, this was an experience any New Yorker would find novelty in. 


Checking in, she found her way backstage and heard him before she saw him, roaming around talking to crew members and dancers. 


“Hey there you are…” he smiled. “You ready, Riley...This shit is CRAZY.”


Riley laughed “Looking forward to the show, Justin..How were the first three?”


“Good, Marin, really good…”


His eyes were dancing. The longer she worked with him, the longer she realized that he truly loved what he did, and that performing was when he was most alive.


“Oh! Got something for you..” he continued “Don’t move…” He ducked into one of the dressing rooms and returned a couple minutes later. 


“Here ya go. For you” He handed Riley a small white bag. 


“What’s this for…”


He shrugged “Saw it and thought of you. Not sure if I’ve told you what a great job you’re doing, Marin. “


Riley smiled, but brushed off the compliment “Justin...You pay me well. You don’t have to-”


He rolled his eyes with a little chuckle “Marin just open it…”


She sighed and looked inside to see a cloth pouch. Opening it, she found a delicate gold bracelet inside. As she pulled it out, two small charms fell into place- a tiny margarita glass and a lime, both detailed with delicate crystals. 


“Justin this is too much...and these charms?” she looked up at him, embarrassed.


“Couldn’t buy you a thank you drink while I was gone, so…” He laughed. 


She shook her head. “Well thank you.”


“You’re welcome...Now get out there!” he gestured toward the concert floor. “Wherever you want.” 


Riley slipped the bracelet on as he walked off, and made her way around to check that everything was in order before showtime. He was ridiculous.


** 

Deciding to lay low and roam for the night, Riley walked the main floor, doing her best to blend in. No one knew who she was, but she didn’t want to deal with any fans figuring out she was “important.” She tucked her all-access badge into her jacket and tried to stay clear of the women running to get a coveted spot on a barricade rail.


The floor filled up and Riley walked around for the DJ set and opener. As the lights went down, she smiled at the familiar and deafening sound of screams. She had been the one shrieking for *NSync not so long ago, she thought.


She made her way into an empty spot in VIP, figuring she would park there for a bit and then head backstage to relax. 


The giant neon “MOTW” logo lowered, and she felt her own heart beat faster, waiting.


Bounding onto the stage, Justin was a force. She smiled seeing his face, energy in sync with the crowd. Playful. He was playful again. There was an intensity in focus as he danced his way across the massive stage and made every person in the room feel like they were the only one there. She found herself almost more amused by the looks on the fans’ faces as one by one, their nights were made by a touch or a look.


He made his way down the ramp, and Riley laughed as he spotted her and winked. Cheesy.


She was impressed, though. This was a GREAT show


***


Riley closed the oven door as her phone beeped at her for about the 10th time, letting her know she had a text. 


“Hold ON,” she said to no one as she fumbled with her oven mitt. “Can’t even get a minute to cook, I swear…”


She figured it was Justin, even though he should have been getting ready for his show in Boston that night. 


She grabbed her phone, annoyed, and looked down as a lump formed in her throat. Blocked number. It was him. She had blocked his number for a reason, but it would be hard to not still know him after 6 years together. 


Riley. Please. I just want to talk. I feel really bad about how everything went down. I miss you.


She closed her eyes and paused a second. He was unbelievable. He had texted her several times since her run-in with him, and she knew how persistent he could be. 


Derek. I appreciate that but..It’s fine. Really. I’m ok. And busy. Sorry.


Just a couple drinks, Riles. I won’t hold you up. Happy juice, right?


She stared at her phone as he quoted her. “Happy Juice.” A phrase she had used on so many of their spontaneous date nights, when happy hour or a quick dinner out with him was a bright spot after a hard day.

There was a lot about him she missed, from a long time ago. There was even more she wanted to tell him about just how well her life was going without him. Convincing herself the latter was worth it, she texted back.


Fine. Tomorrow. 7 pm. You know where.


Their bar. The only bar she swore she would never set foot in again, but she did not want to ruin another one. 


**


Riley made her way into the dimly lit room, having opted for a simple black sweater, jeans, and boots. She wore her hair down but not curled, and chose the most simple earrings she could. She was not trying to impress him. 


“Riles,” he waved at her from a table in the back. She sat down across from him.


“Hi Derek.” 


“Thank you for coming um… Listen I just..First of all I am so sorry-”


“You said that, Derek. You don’t have to say it again.”


A waitress walked over to take Riley’s drink order. She really wished he had opted for space at the bar. Less formal. Less awkward.


“Malbec, please…and a water.” She had no plans of having any fun or losing her senses tonight. 


There was silence and small talk, and when Riley got her drink, Derek began.


“Look, I’ve...thought a lot about you. About what I did. I was lost for awhile, Riley. The truth is, I hate myself for what I did to you.”



Riley swallowed the sip of wine in her mouth, noting that it stung a little tonight. 


“I appreciate that. What you did was...a dick move.”


“Yeah it was,” he agreed.


“I’m really ok, though. This was all...unnecessary. I have a new job, a new outlook. You have a whole new life in Austin…”


“Austin’s not what I thought it would be, Riley. Truth is... I’ve been thinking of moving back to the city.”


“Excuse me?” She felt a chill down her spine. He needed to stay out of her city.


“This project I am working on. Really it can be done from either office. I miss what I had here, Riley. And I miss you.”


“Derek…that’s. No. I’m...in a different place. “ She felt the floor falling out from under her. This had been what she wanted for months after he left. For months she had hoped he would realize he was wrong, that the affair was a lapse of judgement, and that she would have her fiance back. 


“This place. So many memories in this place. You chose to meet me here, Riley…” 


“It’s familiar. It’s easy. That’s it.”


“Riley, I promise this..wasn’t my plan tonight. But I can’t help it ...When I saw you getting coffee, and when I saw you walk in tonight I just...You still make me nervous...After all this time apart.”


“I agreed to catch up, Derek. Clear the air. Stick to the plan.”


He sighed. “Alright. New job. That’s great. Where are you now?”


“Well. I’m an assistant...to Justin Timberlake. New York focused business.” Saying it all at once felt foreign, but she needed to make it known she was confident, resilient.


Derek fell back into his chair.


GOOD, she thought.


‘Wow! Riles that’s...I mean is that hard, though..Ya know. You were never really fond of-”


“He’s actually not that bad, as it turns out...and it’s a great opportunity. The networking alone.” She took another sip of wine.


“Well...Congratulations. Assistant.” he smiled “Doesn’t surprise me. Hell, you definitely kept me on my Ps and Qs. Kept me in check.”


“You make me sound like a dictator.”


Derek laughed. Damn it, That laugh. She forgot about that laugh. Strong and smooth. Every time he did it, his eyes crinkled in the most charming way.


“Not at all. You just always took really good care of me. Called me on my bullshit, even. Still doing it tonight…”


“It was a different time, Derek. I was a different person.”


“Well that’s not true…”


“What..?”


“Riley, in the 6 years we were together, you were always you. From the beginning. No apologies, no...giving up who you are..for anyone or anything. To be honest, it’s why I fell in love with you. “


Riley swallowed her wine hard. “..Well I’m different now…”


Derek stared at her. Directly into her eyes. The way he had done so many times before.


“...No you aren’t. “


Riley looked down. “I think I’m gonna go…” she said quietly, getting up. “Thank you for the drink.”


“Riles, No please...I’m sorry. I just. I need to make this right ..Everything I said. About it being too hard..I don’t know why I said that. You were never hard. It was my problem, Riley. Not you.”


Riley slowly sat back down. A weight lifted. The words that had haunted her, destroyed. Discredited. A real apology. She at least deserved that, and she had waited so long for it.


“Do you mean that?”


“Yes. I was scared. Everything was changing and I know it was my idea but, you were always the one with the plan, not me. You trusted me to plan the rest of our lives and.. I freaked out. I know I can’t change anything I did, but I never stopped loving you. I should have been more honest and asked for more help.”


Riley couldn’t breathe. It was all so much at once. A real explanation. A reason that made sense. Comfort that she hadn’t been an inattentive partner.


“Yeah you should have…”


“One more drink? Maybe some food? This is nice. I just want us to get to a good place. Really.”


She was hungry…


“Ok...But I’m ordering real food. Not a snack. I think you owe me at least that much.”


He smiled “I wouldn’t expect anything else.”


Riley was glad she had come. She had held so much stress since he left, so much uncertainty. She had never really gotten closure, and now that she had, she felt like she could finally move on. 


“WOW...He got so big!” Derek gasped as Riley showed him pictures of Benji


“Yep...Still thinks he is a puppy, though” she laughed. “Spoiled as hell.”


“Ya know I missed him a lot. Felt bad about it but...I ended up getting a cat to fill the void. Something about getting a dog felt...wrong?” he explained.


Riley laughed “Benji wouldn’t have known.”


“I know, but...I dunno.” he smiled. 


It felt good to be able to talk. Felt like old times, and for tonight, she just wanted to enjoy that. It was one more piece of her life that was falling back into place. A more peaceful end. Maybe even a casual friend. 


They finished up and agreed to split the bill, heading outside.


“Well uh..this was actually fun. Thank you. “


“So..are we ..good?” Derek asked. 


“Yeah, I think so...And hey if you need help finding a place when you move back I...I still have some realtor contacts, so…”


“Nice. That would be great.” Derek said.


“Ok so ...goodnight…” 


“Goodnight, Riles…” he lingered. 


An unspoken agreement, they leaned forward for a quick hug. 


“Riley…?” his voice was low

“Yeah…” 


And she was back. Back to a Riley from a different time. Back to a Riley who trusted him. Back to a woman who had what she was missing.


The kiss was slow, gentle. They both took their time to re-explore an old feeling in each other’s arms. “If you want um...My hotel is…we can talk some more or”


“Yeah..Yeah um…okay.” Riley smiled.


**

The hotel alarm clock buzzed loudly and Riley opened her eyes. Looking over at Derek waking up, she realized this was real. Unsure this had been a good idea, she still couldn’t shake how light she felt. How happy. She leaned over to kiss his shoulder. “Hey” she whispered.


He turned over and smiled at her, running his hand down her arm “Hey…”


“Soooo...that happened.” she managed.


“That happened…” he breathed. 


“Derek this doesn’t mean…”


“Shh not now ok? It doesn’t have to mean..anything ok? We can just...enjoy it.”


“Okay.” Riley beamed. 


“I have some work to look over, but...you can hang out and keep me company? Have some breakfast first?”


“Sure...for a bit...Breakfast sounds good.”  An old rhythm. Breakfast in bed. She had no plans for the day, anyway.


“Ok..I’m gonna hop in the shower real quick…” He kissed the top of her head. “Be right back.”


Riley laid back down, tucking the blankets back around herself to wait for him, when she heard a buzzing. Not her phone. Must be his. She ignored it, figuring he would get to it eventually, but it kept going. 


“Busy, busy, busy, Mr. Project director…” 


She smiled to herself as she spotted the phone and went to silence it. A message flashed at her.


“Babe….Are you there?” and then another. “ Are you ok? Haven’t heard from you since yesterday. Miss you *kissy face*”


Riley stared at the name as her eyes began to burn. 


Sarah. 


She knew her name because she had seen it on his phone before. She knew her name because he admitted it. She knew her name because its why he left. 


Riley let the phone fall from her hands as she felt her lungs closing in on her. 


...Fucking….LIAR...


Chapter 11 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Hi Everyone!

 

Thank you for the support and feedback so far. 

 

Just a quick note that a slight modification to Justin's *actual* tour schedule has been made here. I hope you will find it worth it. 

Happy Reading!

Riley wiped away the tears forming in her eyes. She wouldn’t cry. Not in front of him. She should have known better.


Grabbing her own phone, she opened her Facebook app to confirm what she already knew. 

Unblocking Derek, she scrolled his page, and there she was. On her birthday. On his birthday. 

At a music festival. Out to dinner. Riley sighed and stopped her tears once again. 


“In a relationship with…” Both of them. 


Of course they are, stupid… she scolded herself. 


Taking a few screenshots, she hovered above a dropdown menu.


Unfriend.  Clicking it before she could change her mind, she got dressed, and waited. 



Towel around his wait, and drying his hair with another, Derek walked out of the bathroom, smiling. 


“...So what do ya think, Riles...Eggs or -?” He stopped when he saw her, noting her face “Babe, what’s-”


“DON’T call me that,” she cut him off. “Don’t call me anything...or ever...again…” She threw his phone toward him. 


“You should maybe call your girlfriend. She’s worried.”


“Riley, what are you talking about…”


“I’m not an idiot, Derek. You have text messages.”


“You were on my phone?!” he acted offended.


“Not the point.”


“Riley, it’s not what you think, we..”


Riley walked toward him. “You what?” Riley opened her phone and held up her screenshots. “You’re WHAT, Derek? FINE? Together? Fucking LYING to her like you did to me??”


“Riley...She’s not you...”


“You are DISGUSTING…”


“RILEY...LISTEN TO ME. It’s not working….I made a mistake.” He grabbed her arm and she pulled free.


“DON’T touch me. That’s YOUR problem, NOT mine.”


“Please, babe, we can make this work, I - I love you.”


Riley was shaking. It took everything in her not to break. Not to cry. Not to hit him or throw things. Finding every bit of strength left in her, she looked right at him.


“NO. I don’t love you, Derek. Not anymore. Not ever again. Don’t follow me. Don’t call me. Don’t text me.”


“RILEY…”


“YOU DON’T EXIST to me, anymore. Goodbye, Derek…”


Riley grabbed her bag and quickly left the room with him calling her name, as the tears she held began to fall. She wished feelings could be turned off instantly. She wished she had never loved him, but it hurt more that she had. It hurt more that she had believed his lies, more than once. 


Making her way out of the hotel, she froze, not knowing exactly where to go. Before she knew what she was doing, she pulled out her phone and dialed.


“Hey Ry, what’s up?” 


“Katie…” Riley managed. 


There was a brief silence, and Riley’s best friend knew she wasn’t ok. 


“Riley...What happened? Where are you? I’m on my way…”


***

Riley stared blankly at her tv. She knew people were talking, but she didn’t care what they were saying. She was numb. 


“Ok. Food time. French toast, Ry!” Katie chirped. 


“Katie, I told you I’m not hungry.”


“Riley...You haven’t eaten in two days. You have to eat. It’s just bread…”


Katie had insisted on staying at Riley’s apartment after picking her up at the hotel. It was bad again. Riley was back to being distant; quiet. She hadn’t wanted to talk much about her night with Derek. She hadn’t wanted to talk much at all.


Riley reluctantly grabbed the plate and started picking at the food. “Katie...I just need time, ok?”


“Riley...You gave HIM  time. You gave him too much time. Take all the time you need but he doesn’t get to destroy you. No one does. You never needed him. Look at you now! Riley you are doing amazing...Honest. Give yourself more credit. “


Riley smiled weakly. “Thanks...I’ll get there…” She looked over as her phone started buzzing and sighed. “Not now...please not now…”


“Is that him? Give me the phone..” Katie snapped into mama bear mode. 


“No, Katie it’s not-” Riley tried to stop her but it was too late.


“She doesn’t want to speak to you. STOP calling her,” Katie answered as Riley pulled a pillow up to cover her face. 


“Um...EXCUSE ME?” the voice on the other end came through. 


Every bit of color drained from Katie’s face “I-I’m sorry who is this…”


“Put Riley on the phone please.”


He didn’t have to tell her who he was. She would know that voice anywhere. 


“Y-yeah um. Of course. Just a minute” Katie covered the phone with her hand and held it out to Riley “I’m so sorry...Holy SHIT…”


Riley had to admit she had needed this amusement and bit her lip so she didn’t laugh. 

“Tell him I’m busy…”


“RILEY! NO! TAKE THE PHONE…” Katie whispered through gritted teeth. 


“Tell him I don’t feel well…” It wasn’t exactly a lie. 


Katie shot her daggers and pulled the phone back up to her ear. 


“She um...She actually isn’t feeling great right now. Can I..uh--take a message?”


“Who is this??...Is she ok?” There was genuine concern, mixed with confusion, mixed with a little bit of annoyance.


“K-Katie. This is Katie. She. She will be. Is there a message?”


Justin sighed on the other end of the phone. “She needs to call me back. As soon as possible. It’s important...Did something happen…”


“She’ll be ok…”


“Good. Then please remind her she still has a job when I’m not there.”


“She’ll call you back.” Katie rushed. “Goodbye.” 


Katie turned back to see Riley grinning. “Ohhh...My God…” 


“RY WHAT THE FUCK…” Katie screeched at her. 


Riley fell apart into giggles that quickly turned into full laughter. It was the first time she had laughed in days, and it felt amazing.


“I mean...You’ve always wanted to speak to him,” she teased. 


**


Riley and Katie finished breakfast and she excused herself to call Justin back. Katie had threatened to poison her next meal, but she didn’t believe her.


“Riley?” He answered.


“It’s me this time. Sorry about that.”


“Marin...Why is your friend answering your phone?”


“It’s been a rough few days, Justin. Again, I’m sorry...What do you need?”


“...Are you ok?”


“I’m...fine...bad cold...” she lied. 


He didn’t believe her, but he decided not to pry. “Glad you’re ok. Listen, I know we told you you’d be strictly New York based, but I need your help. We need your help…”


“We..?”


“Yeah. Uh...So this Star Ceremony.... It’s turned into this whole thing. Fans are flying in and they want us to speak. Our families are coming. Ellen…”


“Oh wow.” Riley knew about *NSync getting a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame, and had been proud of the group of fans that organized it, but figured she would be watching it from New York. It wasn’t her “territory,” and she hadn’t guessed how big of an event it would be. The plan was for him to come back to New York to rest for a couple days before the ceremony and the west coast portion of the tour.


“Yeah..Yeah...Crazy, right? So, we’re gonna need a few more hands on deck just to make sure everything runs smoothly. Can you come out to LA on the 22nd?”


“Of course. Do I need to arrange the flight, or…”


“Talk to Johnny. He will help set it up. You’ll fly out with us “


“Ok..through when?”


“The 30th…” he answered.


Riley smirked. “April 30th?”


Justin rolled his eyes on the other end of the phone. “OH GOD Not you too…”

**


Riley got out of the car first. They had arrived in a quiet airport parking lot, ready to board a private jet to Los Angeles. She couldn’t help but be grateful that there would be no chance of sitting next to a chatty neighbor or screaming child, and wondered if there would be champagne.


Johnny and Justin got out of the car along with security, who would be accompanying them for the trip. 


They waited as bags were situated, and Riley noted the way Justin was dressed. She wondered just how many pair of Jordans he owned. So far she had counted about 30. His beanie sat high, and she wondered what the point of covering only half his head was. 


As they made their way to a private check-in area, Riley heard a scuffling noise and turned to find it. Her eyes landed on a woman with an *NSync hoodie running in their direction. 


“Justin…” She grabbed his arm suddenly. 


Startled, he looked up in time to back away from an advance.


“JUSTIN HI!” the young woman shouted. His eyes got wide as he found a reluctant smile. 


Their security detail appeared as if from nowhere, a barrier between him and the fan.


“It’s cool...It’s cool…” Justin warned. Autopilot. He was on autopilot. 


“What’s up?” he softly spoke to the woman. 


“Oh my God I love you! Can you sign my CD??” She held it out along with a sharpie. 


“Of course,” he flashed her a smile, and looked down to scribble his name before handing it back to her.


“Good luck at the star ceremony...I’ll be there!” she beamed.


He winked at her. “Thank you....See ya there” 


Security flanked him as they walked away, and Riley watched his face fall. 

Where had she come from??


“Why didn’t you see her…?” Justin asked his detail, shaken.


“Sorry, boss… She must have snuck in. Area was secure.”


Justin sighed. 


“Hey. You’re fine, Justin…” Riley got his attention. It was more a question than a statement.


Justin answered her with a quiet look, and she wondered if he ever really got used to these moments. 


“ Yep. “ He kept walking. 

 

Was he, though…?

Chapter 12 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

:)


“Something to drink?” 


The flight attendant interrupted Riley’s book and she looked up. “Oh uh...Yes thank you. Coffee?”


“Cream and sugar?” the woman smiled at her. 


“Both, please. Thank you…” Riley smiled back. 


“You know there’s tequila, right, Marin?” Justin teased from behind the flight attendant. 


“It’s nine o ‘ clock in the morning, Justin…” Riley laughed.


The flight attendant shared the laugh and left to get Riley’s beverage. Justin slid into the seat next to her. 


“Eh...Details…” He shrugged. “Just kidding. You comfortable?”


Riley was sitting in the back section of the 3 cabin private flight. It was nicer than any trip she had ever taken, with each area resembling more of a lounge than public transportation. Creamy off white leather seating was carefully arranged among shiny wooden detailing and accent furniture. She hadn’t been sure what to expect, but she had to admit , she felt pretty important.


“I should be asking you that…” Riley answered. 


Justin looked around “Well...Yeah...I’ve done this before…”


“And what makes you think I haven’t?” Riley sat up straight and put her book down on the finished wooden table in front of her. 


“Your eyes…” he said.


“My EYES?”


“When we boarded. The way you looked around.”


“...It’s a nice plane.”


Justin smiled “Uh huh. Anyway, you’re not on duty right now so...ya know...just relax.”


“Neither are you…” she countered.


“Touche...What are you reading…?”


“A book…”


“Fascinating...Does it have a name?”


Riley held up the book.


“The Woman in the Window” he read aloud. “Any good?”


“So far. Suspenseful…” she laughed lightly. 


“A thriller?… Hmm...Wouldn’t have guessed that…”


“What?”


“I dunno, Marin you just ...seem…”


“Uptight?”


“NO...No, not uptight….Careful…”


“Careful?”


“Yeah...But I mean...Kind of why you’re here ?”


Riley smirked “...Not always careful, Justin. Just. Focused.” Her mind briefly drifted to all the drama with Derek over the past few months. Drama she didn’t want to talk about with him.


“Focused... Ok.” he smirked back “Good, then…” He stared at her for a second.


“...Can I help you with something?” she stared back.


“Mind if I chill here for a bit? Johnny never stops working up there. Gets a little boring…”


“Fine by me. I might be boring too, though…”


He snorted. “Hardly…”


Riley felt herself go a little red. She knew she had slipped up a couple times, maybe shown herself too much. She made a mental note to be more self-aware as his assistant. 


“What does that mean?”


“Nothing. You’re good to have around, Marin. It was actually kind of weird not to see you the last few weeks.”


“We talked. Everything got handled that needed to, Justin…”


“Yeah..No..I know it did, I just meant...nevermind.”


Riley smiled “...You missed me?”


She looked mighty pleased with herself, and Justin thought back to the stubborn woman who wouldn’t back down that night at Johnny’s offices. The Riley that knocked back tequila like it was water, and gave only as much information as she wanted to.


“...Maybe a little…”


Riley shook her head. “Can’t even handle yourself for a month, Timberlake... “ she teased. 


“Okay, Marin...Calm down…” he laughed, noticing a playful look in her eyes. A look he hadn’t seen since their night at the bar, only now there was something reserved. Something she was keeping to herself. “You sure you’re good?” he asked.







Part of her wanted to tell him, and she didn’t understand why. As much as she wanted to be totally over Derek, she wasn’t, but this new life was helping. She needed to stay busy. This trip had come at just the right time, and she wanted to tell him that- Thank him for it - but now wasn’t the moment. They were on their way to honor HIM and his bandmates. 


“I’d be better if you let me read…” she teased. 


“Damn, okay then, “ he laughed. “Marin…”


“Yeah?”


“Thanks for coming...I mean...on this trip and all. For helping…”


“Of course…” she shrugged. 


There was a pause as they looked at each other.


 Riley noticed his eyes were softer, lighter. There was still a hint of a smile on his face as he looked stuck in a thought. The sweater he wore clung loosely to his arms and chest. He wore it with the ease he seemed to have doing anything. 


She smiled a little herself. Her hair had gone slightly wavy after taking it down form the bun she had it in before the flight. Her hoodie was too big on her, but Justin noticed how she somehow made it look polished, put together. Sitting in front of him now, she looked smaller than her presence and skill would suggest. She was more confident than she gave herself credit for, he thought.


“I’m gonna read…” she smiled, picking up her book.


“Okay…” he trailed off, pulling his headphones back up around his ears and settling back into his seat.


**


“Riley...Riley…” the whisper woke her up slowly. A hand gently touched her shoulder as she propped herself up, sending the open book on her lap falling to the floor.


“Hmmm...Johnny? “ she squinted “Sorry...I must have dozed off...what’s up?” 


She looked around and noticed Justin’s headphones on the table, but no Justin.


“Where’d he go?”


“That’s why I woke you up. He started freaking out. We were talking about the ceremony and the trip and he…” Johnny paused, not knowing how much Riley knew.


“...Drifted off?” Riley hinted. 


“Yeah...Walked off to his cabin. Been in there awhile. I tried, but...You think you can try to calm him down?”


Riley sighed. “Worth a shot.”


“Thank you. You know where to find me…”


She smiled “I got it. Thanks, Johnny.” He walked back up to his cabin, and Riley rallied. 

She slid open the partition to the center cabin. It was slightly bigger than hers, but open enough to see him had he been in the seating area. He wasn’t. Scanning the area, her eyes fell on the bathroom door. Occupied. The little red illuminated sign gave him away. 


She slowly walked over and waited, listening for any activity or indication he needed privacy, but it was silent except for his breathing.



Riley knocked on the door. “Justin...You ok?”


“Riley??”


“Yeah. You good? Johnny said-”


The door cracked open. “It’s been so long...This is...A big deal”


“Yeah, it is Justin. You deserve it, though...and those are your brothers.”


“Riley...there’s a lot you don’t know…”


She took a deep breath “Do you wanna talk about it?”

“No...I just…”


“Justin, they love you. Your fans love you. ALL of you. You are part of that. It’s gonna be a great day. You’re gonna be great. You always are…”


His breathing picked up a little and she saw his eyes shift. Oh no. Not here.


She lowered her voice to a whisper “JUSTIN! JUSTIN STOP. STOP IT NOW!”


He stared at her “Leave me alone, Riley, It’s fine. I’ll be fine.”


“NO! Justin….KNOCK IT OFF,” she continued, still hushed so no one would hear her.


He reached out and grabbed her hand.

“Justin..?”


“Riley, come here…” He slid the door open and pulled her in before she could stop him.


“Justin what the hell are you-”


“Shhh” he stopped her, pressing his lips on hers. 

She could have stopped him, but felt herself lean in. They fell against the wall, not much room to move. 


She deepened the kiss, and his hand pushed her shirt up. Gripping his arm, her hesitation was gone. 


He shifted her up against the sink slightly, moving to her hip to pull her yoga pants down on her hip.

 

She returned his move, undoing his fly and gripping the waistband of his boxers. 

 

He kissed her neck as she continued. 

“Damn, Riley…” he whispered in her ear..


Riley let out a breath that caught in her throat. He pushed himself against her, both hands on her hips as she wrapped her arms around him. He reached around for the elastic of her pants.

It was a perfect moment. And then - 


*DING DING * “The captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign due to turbulence ahead. Please return to your seats with your seatbelts securely fastened”


Justin pulled back suddenly, his distant eyes replaced by concern. “Shit.”


Riley searched and found her breath “It’s ok,” she spoke softly “Justin it’s ok it just-”


“No” he shook his head “Turbulence…”


Riley laughed. “Yeah...I’ll say…”


Justin smirked “I’m...I don’t actually like flying that much...nervous…”


She squeezed his hand. “You got this. Go sit down. Buckle up, Justin.”


He squeezed back before quickly re-zipping his pants and turning to leave 

 

“Buckle up, Marin…”

Chapter 13 by IvyVega

Riley settled in to her hotel digs for the week, flopping backwards onto her bed and sighing. 


This room was way too nice. Justin had argued that since she would be there an entire week, she needed a place that felt comfortable. She was a little worried about how much she work she would be doing if her place to rest looked like this. 


It wasn’t huge, but the king bed in the center of the room felt like a cloud, and she couldn’t find the source of the slight smell of jasmine in the air. A full chest of drawers stared at her from across the foot of the bed, and to the left of it sat a Full Cedar writing desk, topped with a complete stationary set. A keurig would have been fine, but on the other end of the desk she noticed both a french press with a small bag of ground coffee and an automatic espresso machine, complete with all the condiments. 


“What the hell is this place?” she said to herself. 


Getting up to walk around, she found a sizeable mini bar and fridge combo, fully stocked. A small bakery box sat on top with a note that read “Have a Sweet Stay,” and she recognized the branding from the hours of Cupcake Wars she had watched. Peeking inside the lid, she confirmed it was a Sprinkles cupcake. 


“Hello Night 1 plans…” she smiled. 


Making her way to the bathroom, she mentally hugged Justin. A full, deep marbled tub with a massaging showerhead greeted her upon opening the door, and she peeked around the corner to notice a separate dressing area. 


Well that’s completely unnecessary, she thought to herself. 


She yawned and realized she could use a pick me up, grabbing a change of clothes to lay on the bed for after a shower. 


**

Smiling to herself as she basked in the Molton Brown scent cloud the hotel shower gel had created, Riley stepped out of the shower, drying off and grabbing the fluffy robe she had found behind the door. Wrapping it around herself, she threw her hair up in a smaller towel and made her way back to the bed to go over her itinerary. 


She took a deep breath as she saw everything on the schedule. In the week leading up to the ceremony, Justin had meetings with various contacts while he was in town, and Riley would need to balance that schedule while helping coordinate details of the star dedication and a surprise group appearance on Ellen. She would also be assisting with any unexpected issues that came up.


Riley color coded, organized, and made her own notes before she noticed her stomach rumble and decided to treat herself to some room service. This hotel ABSOLUTELY had great room service, she figured. 


As she waited, she changed into jeggings and a sweater, flipped on the tv, and walked over to the desk to explore the coffee station. 


A knock on the door interrupted her. “That was quick…” she thought as she made her way to the door. 


Opening it, she expected a pressed catering smock and a rolling cart, but was met instead by a Nike hoodie and a scruffy smile. 


“Justin? What are you doing here?”


He smiled “You wear glasses?”


Riley ripped them off her face. “Contacts...Usually…”


“Did you...Is there a meeting tonight or…” she asked confused.


Justin had a place in LA, so there was no way he was staying in the same hotel, and it was 3 o ‘ clock in the afternoon.


“No. Just...wanted to make sure you settled in.”


“I...did.” There was an awkward pause. “Do you wanna come in?”



He smiled and made his way in, scanning the room “Not bad…”


“Eh. It’ll do…” she teased. 


Justin grinned and then stuck both his hands into the front pocket of his hoodie. 

“Riley uh...I thought maybe we should talk about ...earlier…”


Riley looked down, embarrassed. “Uh..Yeah..Yeah that makes sense. “ 


She sighed and sat on the edge of the bed, Justin following suit.


“Um so ...what was that?” she asked. 


Running one hand over the back of his head, Justin stared ahead of him “I don’t...I don’t know. It’s just really easy to talk to you, Riley… You make my life...easier.”


“That’s...Literally what I’m paid to do, Justin…” she pointed out. 


Staring at her, his eyes darkened a little “That’s not what I mean…”


“I mean. You’re easy to talk to, too, Justin. A lot easier than I thought…”


“Because you hated me?” he teased.


Riley rolled her eyes. “I didn’t HATE you ...I just...You annoyed me, ok…”


“Do I annoy you now?”


Riley laughed “Probably even more, actually…” She put her hands on his shoulders “You’re a handful sometimes, Timberlake.” 


His hand reached up to her wrist and she shifted forward as she slid into his lap. His hands ran through her hair as their lips found each other again. Wrapped in each other’s arms, Riley felt herself getting lost, and pulled back, sliding back onto the bed. 


“Justin stop…” She smoothed her hair back and stared at the floor. 


He sighed “Ok. I’m sorry.”


“Don’t apologize. You have nothing to apologize for.”


“Riley what’s going on?”


“I really don’t know. I’m sorry. What I DO know...is you’re my boss. That’s what matters here.”


Justin ran his hands down his pant legs. “Yeah...Yeah you’re right…”


“Look um. We obviously...get along. But I think we can be adults about this, right? Professionals.”


Justin’s eyes smiled before his mouth did “Of course…”


“Maybe...try not to be so charming?” Riley teased. 


Justin chuckled “Is that such a bad thing?”


“Clearly…” Riley smirked. 

“Well try not to be so badass…” Justin countered. 


Riley smiled. “I REALLY cannot guarantee that…” 


Justin offered his hand “Fresh start?”


Riley nodded and shook his hand firmly “Fresh start. “


It was cute. Strike one.


**

Riley leaned forward into the hotel room sink as she finished her eyeliner. She examined herself in the mirror as she fussed with her hair.


“UGH. DO something!” She whined. As soon as she got back to New York, she was making it her mission to get a haircut.


Riley walked back into the room to check herself in the full-length mirror. Justin had jokingly told her to look nice, but he really hadn’t needed to. 


It wasn’t every day a reformed boyband fan got to meet her childhood heroes.


Chris Kirkpatrick had thought it might be a good idea for them all to get together and shoot the breeze before the Star Ceremony. Nerves would undoubtedly be high, and he thought everyone would benefit from a little guys’ night. 


Why Riley had been invited was beyond her, but she certainly was not going to pass up the opportunity.


She had decided on orange high waisted paperbag pants, a simple black clingy tank, black strappy heels, and her favorite multicolored tassel earrings. Deciding her hair would drive her insane in its current state, she grabbed an elastic and pulled it back into a low ponytail. 


Bold lip or muted? She asked herself. She silently mocked herself for caring so much, but she knew this was kind of a big deal. She thought of Emi and Katie, who would undoubtedly tell her to make sure her makeup was perfect for this. Bold, she decided and carefully applied a burnt orange color. 


She finished just in time for her phone to buzz that the car was downstairs. 

“*NSync time, Riley!...” she said to herself. 




Riley and Justin walked into the hotel and Riley looked around at the carefully selected furniture and gothic molding on the ceilings. A chandelier straight out of a countryside castle hung above them, and Riley immediately felt a little out of place, knowing full well how well-known this place was - and the crowd that usually hung out here.


“Nervous?” Justin smiled.


“A little. When does TMZ get here?” Riley joked. 


Justin laughed. “Best part of this place. Once you’re inside, total safe zone.” He winked.


“Mr. Timberlake! “ a woman greeted them. “Great to see you.” She extended her hand to Riley, clearly well trained on shmoozing. “Pleasure…”


“Riley,” she smiled as she shook yet another hand. 


“Your party is right this way…” She walked them to a darker corner, where four men sat. Riley felt her heart pick up a bit. Why was she this nervous? It had been like 18 years since they all hung on posters on her wall.


All four men stood as they approached, and Justin smiled, hugging them all in turn before turning back to Riley. 


“Guys...Riley..” he gestured to her. 


“Uh...hello..” She tried to play it cool before taking a seat. Why was she the only woman there? She knew enough from Katie and Emi that Lance and Chris were married, and the other 2 had girlfriends.  What was going on?


“Nice to meet you, Riley” Joey spoke up first “So you’re the one putting up with this joker…” he pointed at Justin.


Riley laughed a little “Only in New York…” The guys all laughed and returned to their drinks.


“Well it’s great to meet you. Appreciate you putting up with all of us this week, too…” A pair of the bluest eyes she had ever seen looked at her. “JC” he waved. 


Riley smiled “Um...yeah..” she nodded. He blushed before giving her a shy smile of acknowledgement.


“And I’m LANCE..” Chris chirped. Right on cue. Still the comedian of the group.



The night was going well so far, and Riley was surprised how easy it was to be herself around these 5. It made sense why they had been successful. They really were as genuine as they had seemed all those years ago. 


Justin looked up at something behind Riley and then at her. She tried to see what had caught his attention, but the lighting made it hard to notice anything.


“SO...Riley...You left out a very important detail on this trip…”


“I did?” her eyes went wide, and the other 4 guys laughed a little. 


“Yes. You did. It’s April 25th…”


“Okaaaay….”


Ohhh shit. Did he know? How did he know…?  She thought.


Riley sensed motion behind her and turned just as a sparkler was arriving on a gorgeous plate of dessert. She blushed, wanting the ground to swallow her.


“Justin…” she warned. 


He smiled as all 5 men stood up and surrounded her. She looked around, only now noticing they had the entire room to themselves. Small miracles. 


Joey was the first to start, with everyone else joining in on harmony


“Haaappyyy biiirthdayyy...tooo you...Happy Biiiirthday...to youuuuuu…”


Riley couldn’t stop the smile on her face as she twisted to no avail to try to hide. 


“I hate you…” she mouthed at Justin as he sang. He managed a small chuckle in the middle of his vocals.


“Haaaapppy biiiirthday to Riiiiiiiillleeeeyyyy...HAPPPY biiirrrthdaay tooo...YOOOUUUUU…”


Riley clapped as she felt tears forming in her eyes. She was mortified. 


“That was...JUSTIN..How did you know?!”


“Johnny told me...Uh..ya know..information on file, Marin…”


She shook her head and made a mental note to yell at Johnny.


“Thank you…” she smiled and looked at Justin “You know you all have to do that again so I can show Katie and Emi, right?” 


They all laughed and Riley wiped her eyes. 


“Marin are you CRYING?” Justin lost it. 


“SHUT UP. NO! “ Riley looked away.


“SUCCESS!” JC shouted like a little kid, pulling a victorious fist into himself.


“Big 3-0, Marin…”Justin shook his head “Why didn’t you tell me??”


Riley shook her head back “I am REALLY going to kill Johnny…”


Justin smiled “Nah...That part was me. It’s easy math…Happy Birthday, Riley…”

 

Riley smiled. It really was.

Chapter 14 by IvyVega

Riley scanned the crowd as she ran around making sure everyone and everything was situated. It was the morning of the ceremony and it was going to be a long day. 


The streets were wall to wall with *NSync fans, and there was a constant buzz of noise and activity as everyone waited for the festivities to start. 


Riley was on overdrive. 


All five members of *NSync waited in a small reception room for their cue, and Justin was nervous. REALLY nervous. His leg started bobbing up and down and the slightly older man sitting next to him slapped his arm lightly.


“J...You cool, man?” JC asked


“Fine, man...fine…”


“Pffft. Liar..What’s going on…”


Justin sighed “I know we talked at dinner the other night. Got some stuff out and all, but...Man...None of them out there know that…”


“Do you want them to?”


“No of course not. I just- It’s been awhile since we...Since they saw us...Like this ya know?”


JC sighed. “Yeah it has...but you’re our brother, man...that never changed. We’re good. All of us...We’re good, man...”


Justin took a deep breath and smiled “Thanks, C…”


“Guys...10 minutes!” Riley got their attention and walked off to check on something else. 


JC grinned, looking at Justin as she hurried off “What’s going on there, dude…”


“With Riley? She’s my assistant, I told you…”


“Uh huh...and…”


“And what?” Justin asked.


“Annnd you dragged her out to guys’ night so we could sing Happy Birthday to her…” JC mentioned, suspicious.


“She was an *NSync fan...I thought it would be nice…”


JC smiled “She’s pretty cute…”


Justin blushed a little “Uh...I guess so.. I mean if you wanna…”


JC shook his head “Yeah..Yeah Jen would LOVE that…” he laughed. “Come on, Justin…”


“What?” Justin smiled “Drop it, nothing’s happening…”


They had promised each other, after all. 


“Whatever, dude...” JC chuckled. 


He knew his friend too well to believe him.

**


Riley positioned herself near the “friends and family” section, available should anyone need anything. 


“Honey SIT DOWN..” a voice approached her. 


She looked over “Oh I’m ok..” she smiled. 


“You’ve been runnin’ around all day. Those boys are fine. Sit down. My son works you too dang hard!” she insisted in her southern drawl. Lynn was not going to take no for an answer. 


“If you insist…” Riley took an empty seat on the row, noticing how her feet immediately thanked her.


Anticipation was in the air, and Riley took the opportunity to take a few pictures for Katie and Emi, who would undoubtedly kill her if she hadn’t. 


“This is so exciting, right?” the woman next to her said. 


“Yeah it is...They really deserve it..”


“They do,” she beamed. She was really pretty. Had to be there with one of the guys. Her dark hair was perfectly styled and her kind eyes were alert with pride. “I’m Jen...Riley, right?” she asked. 


“Yeah, that’s me…”


“He’s stubborn, huh?” she continued, noticing Riley’s focus on Justin. 


Riley laughed. “Justin? Yeah. He makes my job...interesting.”


“Yeah, I’ll bet…”


Another voice spoke up from next to Jen “Yeah...that runs in the group…” she laughed.


Jen laughed “This is Karly...and that’s Nash…” she smiled at the adorable little boy in Karly’s arms. 


Recognition hit Riley “Chris’s family…”


Karly smiled “That’s us…”


Jen focused her attention back on Riley.  “He asked you to come out personally for this?”


Riley answered her “Yeah. All hands on deck, ya know. Big day and all…”


“Right. Well, I’ll bet he’s glad you’re here…Keep him in check, yeah?” she winked. “It’s nice to meet you. ”


“You too,” Riley smiled back. 


Jen was looking at her like she knew something, and Riley briefly wondered just how much of his life Justin shared with the other guys. Pushing the thought away, she recentered herself and sat straight and alert in case anything came up.


**


Justin looked around him. He heard the words being spoken by Carson Daly and Ellen Degeneres as speeches in their honor were made, but it was a bit of a blur. This was all so surreal. It felt like the old days. The cheers and screams were for the group- all of them, and he smiled as his mind drifted back to a much younger version of himself and a much different reality. 


Breaking him from his daydream, JC nudged his side. “Dude...Look …”


The overhead sound system had been playing music between speeches, with the excited crowd singing along. “Tearin’ Up My Heart” had just started, and JC directed Justin’s attention to the friends and family section.


Justin looked over and saw Riley, calmly bopping her head along to the beat, silently mouthing the words. A small smile crept across his face as he and JC shared a look.


“I told you she was a fan…”


**


Riley watched as one by one, the members of her favorite childhood band spoke, recalling memories and expressing their gratitude. There were plenty of laughs and tender moments as JC, Chris, Lance, and Joey all thanked their families, each other, and the fans. She had to admit, this was pretty cool. 


It came time for Justin to take the podium and she shifted slightly, trying to gauge his nerves. 


“Come on Justin...come on…” she whispered under her breath as he opened his mouth to speak.


“This is...Uh...This is so surreal…” He began as he stared into the sea of screams. “You guys are the best fans in the world.”


Riley smiled. She hoped he felt the love she could see in the fans’ faces.


“These four guys mean so much to me,” he said looking back at his bandmates. “We’re really a family...and the memories we have made...and the families we have built… I don’t think I can put into words how much the four of you mean to me...Through hard times. Through unbelievable times. Times we were like ‘What the fuck…’ I love you so much…”


NAILED IT, JUSTIN… Riley thought. She was really proud of him, and couldn’t help but take a moment of satisfaction in watching the 5 men 11-year-old her loved so much, hugging and being a family again. It was a moment she, and so many others, had waited for for so long.


**


Riley stood on the side of the stage, hidden from view, as she watched Justin speaking to Ellen. 

It had already been a long day, but getting him set up for the interview on her show had been relatively calm. Getting them packed and off to the airport tomorrow would be tougher, if only because of the tight timing.


“You think they have any idea we’re here?” Lance asked her softly from behind the stage wall. 


Riley smiled “...I mean…*NSync fans are pretty clever...Probably…”


Joey flashed a wide grin “MAN...Can’t get anything past them, huh?”


Riley chuckled, thinking of the countless times Katie and Emi had played detective and been right about Justin’s whereabouts. Both of them had successfully confirmed the mini *NSync reunion at the 2013 VMAs days before it happened.


“Not usually,” Riley shook her head “Besides, you were all LITERALLY just on the same stage together.”


JC’s look lingered on Riley briefly “Did you have fun?” 


Riley looked at him, noticing his mischievous eyes. She silently wondered how many times he had gotten himself into trouble with those eyes. They were almost unnerving.


“Sure... Pretty cool work day,” she played it cool.


JC grinned “Yeah...not so bad, I guess...J says you were a fan...How’d we do?”


Riley felt herself flush a little. Cover blown. 


“You made a lot of dreams come true today, boys…” She directed her sarcastic glance across all of them.


JC chuckled to himself. Justin was a goner with this girl, for sure.


Riley heard Justin’s cue. “Ready to roll?” she asked the guys as she heard him walking over. 


All five stood in a line and waited for the wall to slowly lift, revealing them as Justin’s “special gift” to Ellen. 


The audience lost their minds, jumping and hugging each other as the guys waved and made their way to their seats. Riley managed to get a small clip on her phone from backstage. 


The show was progressing well, but Riley couldn’t help but notice Justin’s quiet demeanor. What was he thinking about? He had done so well all day, but she wondered how hard he was fighting himself. The solo part of his interview had gone well, and he was doing fine, but his mind was clearly partially elsewhere. 


They had moved on to a game of “Never Have I Ever” with answer paddles, and Riley shook her head smiling as they dodged answers about hookups and lyric flubs. 


“Never have I ever joined the mile high club…” Ellen read from a question card.


“WHAT’S THAT...What’d you say...The mile high club?” Justin reacted as he leaned forward uncomfortably.


WHAT did she say…?  Riley thought as her heart started to race.


She watched as he took a beat and then held up “I have never” quickly.


Oh My God.  Riley looked down, hoping no one could see her face.


Four sets of eyes were on him as Ellen protested. “That is not true, Justin…”


He rolled his eyes, reluctantly flipping the paddle to “I have” as he looked away, and took a deep breath. 


As he looked down, hand on leg, Riley wondered if there was a way for her to disappear. 


Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck… She thought. Of ALL the questions to ask.


She took a deep breath and sighed. It was going to be an interesting trip home. 

 

 


Chapter 15 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

The plot thickens. ;)

Riley sat silent in the car. She didn’t know what to say, or if he even wanted to talk about what had happened. JC had seemed awfully interested in her opinion, and Jen had made it a definite point to introduce herself to her. Riley wondered exactly what everyone thought, and wondered how exactly her working relationship with Justin would change.



Truthfully, the last few months had been a whirlwind. True to her nature, she had handled it all in stride, focusing on responsibility to distract herself from her thoughts. Her new life was keeping her busy enough to feel “normal,” but she couldn’t shake the slight hint of fear she felt any time she started to relax. What was she afraid of, and why did he still make her a little nervous?


This break in action could be a good thing for her.


Justin would be headed to Arizona separately to continue his tour, while Riley would go home. They wouldn’t be seeing each other for months. Maybe the distance would erase any uncertainty, she thought.


“Marin...MARIIIINNN…” his voice broke her from her thoughts.


“What? Uh...sorry…” She came to.


“You ok?”


‘Yeah...Fine...Great trip...Just a little tired. Big day…”


“Uh huh… Big day…” He looked at her cautiously.


“Look...Justin, I don’t want you to think I-”


“Riley,” he shook his head “Don’t do that. We’re good...Remember?”


“Yeah. I remember. It’s just...on Ellen…”


Justin smiled and looked down “Yeah...Yeah that was kind of weird...Marin, no one knows anything. I promise. It’s...not going to be an issue…”


“It...can’t be.” She looked at him seriously.


“I know.” It was his turn to be sincere.


“I need this job…”


His heart sank a little, realizing how close they had come to making both of their lives complicated. 


“You’re not losing it, Marin. You’re too good at it. I need you.”


Riley smiled and leaned on sarcasm. “Yeah...You kind of do…”


***


Riley excused herself quickly, salon robe still on. She had been enjoying the light duty that Justin being away had afforded her. Apart from checking in on his apartment, and text check-ins to see how the tour was going, she really hadn’t had to do much. She was thoroughly enjoying pampering herself when her phone rang. Looking down, she made a face.


“I’m sorry...I have to take this quickly…” she apologized.


“No problem, hun..I’m gonna go get started on her color and come back…” her hairdresser gestured at another client.

Riley nodded then clicked answer “Justin, what’s up?”


“Hey! Marin...Got a minute?”


“For you? I’ll give you 5,” she joked.


She heard him audibly smirk. “Need your help again.”


“Do I need to fly out somewhere? 


“No, just make some calls. You remember that artist...Yolanda?”


“Sure...from the listening party…” Riley answered. She actually remembered a lot more about her. Mainly the way her and Justin had looked at each other during their studio session.


“Right. Well...The label is getting close to picking her up. Johnny liked my idea of working with her a little more on her demos.”


“Ok. Where do I come in?”


“She’s gonna be in Miami for a new artist showcase. I figured it would be a great time to get her in the studio out there. Great setup for that kind of thing. I need you to help me book some time and arrange cars.


Riley quickly scanned his schedule in her brain “Do you have time for that, Justin?”


“It’s gonna be tight, but I can be in Miami on the 16th...Show is on the 18th. We’ve made bigger squeezes happen…”


Riley sighed. “You are trying to kill me, Timberlake…”


“No...I just know you can get it done…” he smiled into the phone. “Please?”


“I’ll take care of it, Justin...I gotta go. I’ll confirm when I get home.”


“Out and about?” he asked.


“Just a haircut. Nothing exciting.”


“Don’t do anything crazy, Marin. I have to be seen with you.” Justin teased.


“NO ONE sees me…” she laughed “And you have NO right to talk about bad hair choices…”


“Ouch,” he laughed. “That wasn’t even fair…”


“Goodbye, Justin…” she laughed. “I’ll update you later.”

***


“Hello Marin…” Justin answered his phone.


“Are you in the car?” Riley asked.


“So on top of things. Yes. On my way. About 10 minutes out.”


“Ok. She got there early, so she will be out front. Remember you’re on a tight schedule, Justin. I can’t shove you out the door from my apartment…” Riley laughed.


“Ohhh I’m pretty sure you could find a way…” Justin joked.


“Don’t make me have to, Justin..” Riley laughed. “I’ll check in later.”


“Bye Riley.”


Justin leaned back on the back seat on the way to the studio. For other people, this might be the last thing they wanted to be doing in the middle of a world tour, but he was a workaholic. Creating music was his happy place, and watching an artist develop from the ground up was a way of giving back for him. He remembered starting out, and all the nerves and excitement associated with it.


The car pulled up to the studio and he saw Yolanda outside right away. Her hair was pulled up, perfect dark coils on top of her head. Effortless. Her long, bright maxi dress was dressed down by a dark denim jacket that served more toward fashion than the sunny Miami weather. Even just standing there, she commanded attention. 


Getting out of the car, he greeted her. “Early again…” he smiled, getting her attention.


“I aim to please..” she smiled “..and I hate being late...It surprises people, but I’m not usually what people expect, anyway…”


Justin grinned. “Is that right?”


Yolanda smirked “Guess you’ll find out.”


“Let’s get inside..” Justin answered, intrigued.


Once inside the studio, Justin greeted an engineer, and made sure everyone was comfortable. 


“Should we start with the single?” he asked Yolanda.


“Sure… I think the track is solid...But not sure on the vocal. I keep going back and forth on some things…”


“Well let’s hear it…” The engineer spoke up. He cued up the track and an upbeat rhythm began. 


“This is hott..” Justin commented.


Yolanda smiled “Thanks…”


“This you?” he asked “The beat…”


Yolanda nodded “I made it.”


The engineer looked up, impressed “Damn, girl…”


Yolanda’s voice filled the room as they all sat and listened. Justin leaned over, focused, moving to the beat as he moved his head to listen intently. The track finished and he spoke up.


“That’s not bad at ALL. Honestly?” he looked at Yolanda.


“Please..?” she offered.


“You’re holding back...on the hook. You’ve got more, don’t you?”


“Maybe…”


“Get in there…” He gestured toward the booth.


She noted the shift in his tone. In the zone. Intense. It became clear to her how he was able to have amassed such a large catalogue of work, and worked with so many artists.


‘Pick it up from the first verse..” he instructed the engineer, who took his direction.


“Go Off...pretend we’re not here…” He looked at Yolanda. His blue eyes were vivid, piercing. 


HOW was she supposed to pretend he wasn’t there?!


Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and steadied herself, starting the hook. As she got halfway through, the music stopped, startling her eyes open.


“No. Again.” Justin spoke evenly.


The track restarted from the same spot, and Yolanda again steadied herself and sang, before getting cut off again.


“Like you mean it... “ Justin’s voice guided her again.


Pulling the headphones off, she spoke “I DO mean it…” she stared right at him.


Justin smiled “Good. Then make me believe it…”


The track began again and Yolanda’s gaze was pointed, darker. She was annoyed, and had worked too hard for too many years to not be taken seriously. She closed her eyes and started again, this time making it through the entire hook.


The track clicked off and Justin spoke again.


“There it is!”


Yolanda opened her eyes, thrown off. “Did you just come for me on purpose?”


Justin smirked “Maybe…”


“...Did it work?” she asked. 


“You tell me…” he said quietly, pressing play. 


Yolanda listened as she heard herself like she never had before. Her voice was strong. Forceful, but sincere. The message in the lyric was CLEAR.


“...Is there a filter on that…?” she breathed.


“Nope. All you…” Justin smiled, and she returned it.


“...Oh you’re dangerous…” she laughed.


“So are you…” he answered.


“Keep that…” he turned to the engineer, all business again. 


“Let’s talk about the verse…” he turned back to her. 


“The verse is fine…”


“Is it?” he cocked his head to the side.


She gave him a look, clearing her throat and adjusting the headphones “Fine...play me in…”


She had always heard he was a perfectionist, but experiencing it in person was a whole new level.


Making it to the end of the song, two hours later, the engineer was wrapping up. “We good?” he asked.


“Yeah man, thanks again...We’re gonna hang out a minute, but you can head out, “ Justin locked hands with him, giving him a quick goodbye.


“We are?” Yolanda gave him a look as the engineer headed out.


“Yeah...I mean if you want to…” 


“Long day,” Yolanda returned briefly.


Justin smiled “Too much for you?”


“For me? No. Too much for you? Sure as hell seemed like it..”


She was annoyed. He was amused. 


“Used to everyone praising you all the time. Huh?”


“EXCUSE ME?” she snapped.


“You heard me. You can sing your ass off. Or we wouldn’t be here right now. But here’s where it gets harder…”


“I’m WELL aware of how hard it gets…” Yolanda stated.


“You’re not. You have NO idea. You will, though, and I don’t think you’re going anywhere…”


“You’re damn right I’m not. You have no idea what I’ve been through…” she stared at him.


His mouth fell into an automatic lazy smile “I’d like to…” His eyes softened slowly, getting brighter.  He sat down casually, waiting for her reply.


“I wouldn’t mind getting some food…” she said calmly.


Justin smiled “Food sounds good.”




Chapter 16 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Dear Readers...Just trust me... ;)

Justin laughed, trying not to choke on his mouthful of food. He and Yolanda had decided to grab takeout and hang out a little while longer. She had been telling him about all the crazy experiences she had had trying to build her career.


“...So all this is still a little hard to believe. I mean I would do anything to sing, but...I sort of always figured I’d be stuck doing bar mitzvahs, demos,  and birthday parties…”


“Voice like that? Nah. Just takes time …”


“Well...I’m here...with you..That’s something..” she smiled.


Justin smiled back “Happy to help...Hey...Would you wanna come to a show...Check out how things happen...Maybe hang out?”


“That would be great!”


“How long are you in Florida...Can you get to Sunrise on the 19th?”


She smirked “I think I can do that. “


He handed her his phone “Let’s make sure I can get ahold of you…” 


***

Justin’s phone chirped as he stepped out of the shower. Looking down, he saw a text from Riley.


Never Heard back from you...How’d the studio session go?


Justin smiled to himself “Pretty damn good…” he said under his breath. 


Went well. I think Yolanda is gonna be HUGE, he answered.


Glad it worked out. “Off Duty” for now. ;) Have a good show tonight.


Talk soon, Marin. Say hi to Benji!

 

Riley set her phone down on her coffee table and picked up her laptop. Curiosity had gotten the better of her and she found herself headed to google to search for Yolanda.


Finding a few more results than she expected, she clicked on the first one. An instagram account. 


It was impressive. Someone had clearly taken a lot of effort to curate the account, and give the visitor a pretty good idea of her brand. Clicking on the video posts, she took a journey through Yolanda’s catalogue and small gigs, going back as far as 2013. She really was the real deal.


Riley hit the back button on her browser and made her way through an official website, and an image search that placed Yolanda at various community events, gigs, and parties. 


She was pretty. REALLY pretty. Nothing like Riley style-wise. She took more risks in that department, and had a casual mystery about her that threw Riley off as she sat on her couch in sweats and dirty hair. She compared it to Yolanda’s curls, which seemed to be restyled quite often according to her mood. Always experimenting, it seemed. 


Yeah, she could see why Justin had been intrigued. As she began to wonder what had really happened in the studio and why he had made it such a point to squeeze the session in, she silently scolded herself, shutting her laptop and reaching for her tv remote, instead. 


“He’s a musician, Riley. Stop being weird…”


**

Yolanda carefully made her way down the hall, not knowing exactly where to go. She wasn’t a stranger to backstage chaos, but the show had JUST ended, so she wasn’t even sure Justin would be around just yet. 


Feeling a little out of place, she texted the number he had given her at the studio.


Hey. Made it to the back...You around?


Her phone chirped back. 


Third room down the hall. Be right there.


Yolanda walked into what looked to be a common area, and smiled at the 3 people sitting on the couch. Curiosity crossed their faces, but after smiling and waving back, they went back to their conversation.


Justin walked in, smiling.


“Hey! You made it!” He hugged her. “Ahhh...Sorry..I’m kinda gross…”


Yolanda laughed “Well yeah you never stopped! That was a really fun show!”


“Glad you enjoyed it...Let me get cleaned up and then we can chill?”


“Sounds good.”


He walked her over to introduce the crew hanging out in the room, who found easy conversation with her talking about common acquaintances and her music. 


What seemed like no time later, Justin walked back in the room, dressed casually in a hoodie and gray joggers with a beanie. 


“Backstage tour?” Justin winked at Yolanda?


“Sure...Great to meet you all,” she smiled at the group she had been talking to.


**


As they walked the empty stage, Yolanda found herself in awe. She never imagined this is what would have happened by going to one listening party. Then again, she had always heard big breaks come at the strangest times when you least expect it. 


Justin was happy to focus on her smile. She was comfortable in her skin, and probably had no idea what a natural star she already presented herself as. 


“Thank you, Justin...for this..for the studio..Just thank you. This is...This is really something.”


“Well...So are you..” he stared at her. 


Yolanda shuffled on her feet, unsure of what to say. “I’m trying to be…” As she tried to step back naturally, her foot caught a slick spot and before she knew it she was headed backwards off balance. 


Justin moved quickly, grabbing her waist awkwardly to keep her upright. Shaken for a second, she steadied herself against him to stand, and saw him looking at her.


“You ok…?” he asked, eyes scanning her reaction.


“Yeah...Good now...Thanks…”


“No problem…” he trailed “Uh...guess we should um…” he gestured toward the exit stairs.


“Probably a good idea…” Yolanda smiled. 


Taking her hand to guide her, they caught each other’s eyes...noticing it at the same time. 

Pulling her back toward him, Justin placed a light peck on her lips, stopping himself.


“Sorry, I…”


“Uh...No that’s...fine..” Yolanda grinned. “I...liked it…”


Justin grinned back, moving back toward her to finish the kiss. 

 

Chapter 17 by IvyVega

Riley hurried to her intercom. 


“Katie? “ she checked


“It’s me, Ry…”


Letting her best friend up, Riley waited at her door.


“Uhhh...new look?” Katie asked as they walked in, noting the slouchy beanie her friend had on. It appeared all of her hair was stuffed up into it. 


“Yeah...About that...That’s why I called you over.”


“Are you ok? What’s the emergency?” she asked, concerned. 


Riley took a breath and slowly took off the beanie, letting her hair fall.


“Riley…WHAT the HELL did you do…?” Katie asked


“Dyed my hair purple…” she said quietly.


“That’s….NOT purple…” Katie stared.


“Yeah, no shit..I..I think I left the bleach on too long or something…”


“Wow...Yeah...Or something…” 


Riley sighed “Can it be fixed?” Katie had had a serious hair experimentation phase in college, so Riley had thought she might have an idea.


Katie giggled “Well...You aren’t bald, so there’s that…”


Riley rolled her eyes “Katie…”


“Relax. We’ll just dye it back.”


“Ok…”


**

Returning with a box of Feria, Katie helped Riley get the color on her head to set.


“Ok, Ry...What’s going on...The last time you dyed your hair in college...You HATED it and cried…”


“It came out BLONDE..!” Riley defended herself.


Katie laughed “Yeah..that was not the look for you...but why now...I thought we were past the whole breakup new hair phase…”


“This isn’t about that I just...I don’t know..I felt like a change…”


Katie raised her eyebrows in suspicion “...A change? Riley ...Are you feeling ok?”


“HEY! I can be spontaneous!”


“Um...Okayy...Well, you haven’t been for...awhile…”


“No time like the present.”


“Are you even allowed to dye your hair? Ya know...Does Justin want you to…”


“I can do whatever I want” Riley cut her off.


“Whoa...Ok. I just asked. It IS a job, after all.”


Riley sighed. “Sorry. I don’t have that much to do while he’s on tour, anyway. Little errands here and there...Check-ins. I’m not gonna physically see him for months, so...It wouldn’t matter.”


Katie smiled “Do you miss him?”


Riley was glad Katie was busy with her hair and couldn’t see her face. “Not as much as you would, no..” she teased “It’s actually been nice to have some free time.”


“So do you check in every day?” Katie asked curiously.


Riley smirked “Why, do you want transcripts?”


“I wouldn’t turn them down,” Katie tugged Riley’s hair.


“Oww. Easy...Not so much right now, which is kind of weird. I mean I know he is busy, but his replies are getting shorter...Probably just tired.”


Katie chuckled “I bet he’s tired…”


Riley twisted her head to look back at her “What?”


“Well...Apparently..He’s been seen with this...singer I think she is? I guess people saw her at a Florida show and then Memphis last night…”


“Yolanda?”


“OMG YES...You know of her?”


“Yeah...He’s had a couple studio sessions with her. The label is picking her up.” Riley explained.


“Hmm. Well...According to my Facebook group…”


Riley rolled her eyes. “Katie...Come on…”


“NO! I swear! There are like...pictures...They AREN’T in a studio…”


“Ok?”


“Riley...I think they’re like….hooking up …She is REALLY pretty”


“He’s working with her, Katie…” Riley countered, annoyed.


“You sure...You don’t sound convinced,” Katie teased “OH MY GOD...RY…”


“Yes?”


“RILEY… MARIN...DID YOU DYE YOUR HAIR FOR JUSTIN?”


Riley jerked away to look at Katie “Are you insane?!”


Katie smiled “No...You’re jealous…”



“JEALOUS? Of WHAT?!”


“He’s paying more attention to her…”


“Katie...Stop...I am not jealous of anything. Have you lost your mind?”


Katie shook her head “Ok. Whatever you say…”


Riley focused her attention back at her bathroom wall, letting Katie finish fixing her hair. Katie was nuts. Justin was free to do whatever he wanted. They had agreed on business only. 


She also knew he was serious about music, and Yolanda was really talented. Still, Riley couldn’t shake the truth that his shorter replies were bothering her. It wasn’t how he usually worked with her, and it was throwing her off.


Wasn’t she allowed to just want purple hair? What was Katie implying?

Just because Yolanda had a more flamboyant style didn’t mean it had anything to do with her.

Did it?

**

“We really don’t have much time to make this decision…” Johnny stressed from across the small conference table.


Justin sat in a small meeting room. A last minute meeting, as one of his tour singers had had to leave the tour for personal reasons. 


“This is an unfortunate situation, but we are a month out from Europe...You REALLY don’t like any of those demos?” Johnny gestured toward the stack of headshots that all belonged to audition samples.


“I just don’t think there’s a fit there…”Justin focused and a light bulb went off in his brain. Grinning, he continued “...But I have an idea…”


“Which is…”

“Yolanda…”


“Justin...She is too green…”


“Maybe on a tour...but she HAS the voice. She’s adaptable...tough…”


“Justin…”


“Johnny...You have to trust me on this one…”


Johnny gave him a suspicious look “You’ve invested a lot of time into her career…”


“She’s good…”


“Uh huh...And that’s it?”


“And that’s it. You know she’s going places...You signed her.”


Johnny sighed “Well it’s not the worst idea. She’s gonna need some rehearsal time. “


“Done”


“This is on you, Justin. Your tour. Your decision. Just make sure it’s the right one.”


“It is. Thank you.”


**

Yolanda walked in to the studio, heart racing as she prepared for what was about to happen. A tour. She was going ON TOUR. With JUSTIN. 


Her life had turned upside down since meeting him, and it all felt like a dream. She deserved this. She knew she did, but she was still pinching herself, expecting it all to be a fantasy. 


“Hey…” he smiled and walked toward her. 


“Hey. “ she smiled back.


“You ready for this?” he grinned.


She laughed lightly “Not even a little bit...but I’m excited…”


He rubbed her arms and looked into her eyes “You’ve GOT it. You’re gonna fit right in. I promise.” He dipped his head and brushed her lips. 


Kissing him back for a moment, she smiled and looked at him. “You didn’t ask me on tour because…” she gestured back and forth between the two of them. “Because I can handle myself…”


Justin smirked “Just a bonus. You’re coming on tour because you deserve it. You were the best choice.”


Yolanda smiled. “Then let’s get to work.”


Yolanda breezed through a rundown of vocals. Justin let her make it through the whole show once before clicking off the track.


“First pass was good. Montana needs work…Higher Higher could use some tweaking…” 


Yolanda took a deep breath “Ok. Run it again.”


Her focus was impressive. Distracting, even. Her work ethic matched his own intensity, which was something he was not used to, particularly with newer artists. 


An hour later, Justin spoke up “Need a break?”


Yolanda nodded “Yeah. Probably a good idea.”


“I actually think we could be done for today. You should probably meet everyone soon...See where you fit in there…”


“I hope it works…”


“It will” he smiled. “They’ll love you…”


“I’m not used to the group dynamic…” she shook her head.


“You’ll be fine...and they’re an amazing group...It’s gonna be fun.”


Yolanda relaxed, sitting on the couch to take a sip of water. 


“I’ve never been to Europe. To be honest, I’ve never been to most of THIS country…”


Justin smiled “Older hotels...different food...Other than that, it won’t seem that different on tour…”


“I’ll have to sneak out to see some sights…”


“I might have to join you…” he sat down next to her, placing his hand on her leg. “It’s cute…”


“What is?” she smiled.


“You being nervous….”


“Then I should be downright hott..” Yolanda joked.


Justin grinned “I mean...You are…” 


Yolanda giggled. “You’re...impossible…” 


“Am I?” Justin charmed.

“Little bit,” Yolanda nodded as she leaned in, hovering over his lips before returning his kiss from earlier in the day.


Justin’s hand moved from her leg to her back, guiding her closer. Pulling her up onto his lap, she stopped for a moment.


“We’re ...in the studio…”


Justin nodded and spoke softly “Uh huh...alone...private booking...for another hour…”


Yolanda smiled as he found her mouth again. Their shirts were off in record time as they shifted backwards onto the couch. 


They were drawn to each other in a way that was almost hypnotic, primal. Justin could barely contain himself around her, fascinated by her energy and drive. 


Yolanda didn’t know quite what to make of what existed between them, but she knew she couldn’t resist it. The attraction, the way they worked together, their musical chemistry. She was in bliss, and had decided to just go with it.

 

Letting their bodies do the talking, neither one of them was questioning their connection. 

Chapter 18 by IvyVega

Riley stared at her half empty cup. She wasn’t sure how much more time she could kill.


The last few conversations with Justin had been like pulling teeth. He was getting ready for the European leg of the tour, and Riley had been asked to assist with travel arrangements, in addition to any appearances or interview on the break. It was keeping her busy, for which she was grateful, but Justin had been back in NYC for 3 weeks, and she had only seen him in person 3 times. 


Got Germany flight rebooked.” Riley had texted him. “Simple misunderstanding. You’re good to go! :)


She sat waiting for a reply, which usually came immediately. This time, 15 minutes had passed.


Thank you.

His reply seemed uneventful. Clipped.


Don’t forget about us boring Americans while you are overseas…;

 

As soon as she sent it, she took a large gulp of her coffee and covered her face with her hand. She was reaching, and she knew it. 


Had she done something wrong? No “Marin” for at least 2 weeks, and he seemed...distracted all the time?


Riley’s thoughts shifted to Katie’s gossip. She knew Yolanda would be joining him on tour. She also knew he had worked with her again, and had overheard Johnny asking him about a session in New York while he was back.A session she hadn’t been asked to coordinate. She wanted to know what was going on, but figured it wasn’t her place to ask.


On the other end, Justin grabbed his phone as it chirped. Smiling as he looked at it, he started a reply, quickly backspacing before he gave himself a chance to send it. He knew Riley had been uncertain since the Star Ceremony in LA, and was doing his best to remain professional. The tour was going well, and Riley was an amazing assistant. He didn’t want to rock the boat or give the wrong impression.


Yolanda stirred in the bed next to him, the sun hitting her skin in highlight as she woke up. Seeing his face, a wistful smile now as he carefully considered whatever he was writing, she studied him. He was focused, almost too purposefully, but casual. Who was he texting?


“Good morning…” she smiled, catching his attention.


“Hey..” he smiled back “Travel arrangements…it never ends…” he gestured as he held up his phone.


Yolanda nodded “Riley?”


“Yeah...A few of the flights got rescheduled...All good now, though…”


“Good. I can’t imagine managing your schedule. Mine looks crazy enough. I hope you pay her well,” she answered.


Justin smiled “Yeah...maybe not enough…”


He looked back to his phone, replying to Riley's message.

 

Nope. Won’t. See you in October.


Riley opened her text messages, sighing. 


“You did ask him to be professional.” she thought to herself. Finishing her coffee, she decided to call it a day and plan for a night in. Benji was always happy to see her, anyway.


***

The August sun peaked through the window. No one had warned Yolanda that Europe didn’t believe in air conditioning, but two months later, she was almost used to it. It had been an amazing trip. 


Justin had been right, and she had clicked naturally with the other singers, dancers, and the crew. They had honestly become friends she hoped she would keep in touch with. The level of talent was unlike anything she had ever been a part of, and living her dream on this scale would never get old. 


Then there was Justin himself. They were spending more and more time together, evenly divided between working on music and exploring their physical attraction. It didn’t feel serious. She didn’t need it to. They had a rhythm she understood. In a lot of ways, they were a lot alike.


Yolanda was falling more in love with creating beats the more she worked with him, and he was enjoying filling in the missing pieces. 


Having locked down the beat she planned on releasing as her commercial debut, she was excited to hear the lyrics Justin had offered to write, meeting him at a London studio on their day off.


“You wanna read ‘em, or…” Justin asked as they got the small studio set up.


Yolanda smiled “Or you could sing them? I wanna hear what they sound like against the beat…”


“Alright,” Justin grinned. He headed into the booth, pulling the headphones over his ears. 


“I like being on the other side - feels good,” Yolanda teased behind the control board.


Justin laughed “It’s good practice...You’re gonna be doing a lot of it soon…”


Yolalnda shook her head, still humbled by his confidence in her “Just sing, Justin…”


He smiled as the track started, and settled right into the beat as he sang.Yolanda was quiet, focused on the harmony. As the lyrics unfolded, a theme jumped right out at her.


The analogy was clever. Justin’s signature sense of wordplay was onvious. He had done a great job comparing the feeling of being in love to having had too much to drink.


“...God paid extra attention/ when he put that face on you/my head is pounding/my heart is aching too/what I wouldn't give/for another shot of you…”


She held her reaction. The song was good. She could hear her voice on it. 


“...That smile got me spinning/like I had too much 901/You said keep it on ice/but we've only  just begun…It’s not on the schedule, but I’m thinkin’ that it could be fun...Nobody else is smooth like you. That’s why I stay sippin’ on you...Another shot won’t hurt me, No...I just want another shot of you…


Yolanda listened, and watched as he continued, He meant what he was singing. She could see it in his face. 


Tequila? She didn’t drink tequila. Couldn’t be about her. Could it?


Their relationship was casual. They had never even discussed expectations, so it had seemed implied things were “cool" between them.


“Schedule.” The word jumped out at her immediately, as a flood of memories of the last two months came to her. 


The way he smiled at certain texts. The way it took him too long to answer them. How immediately he knew he could ask her for anything, and it would get done. The chocolate he had bought her in Germany as a “thank you,” ultimately deciding not to send it.

The look on his face any time he hung up after a brief conversation with her.


He had called her his “right hand,” and Yolanda herself had spoken with her to set up studio sessions. She was clearly incredible at her job, but Yolanda got the sense there was more to it.


She clicked off the track.


“So...What do ya think?” he smiled at her.


“It’s...It’s perfect…” Yolanda replied.


He pulled off the headphones and stepped out of the booth.


“Yeah? Obviously whatever you wanna tweak. It’s just an idea, honestly…”


“It’s really good...Justin…”


“Yeah?” he asked, grabbing a seat next to her, hand on the small of her back.


“Those lyrics...Who are they about…”


His expression changed. Cautiously, he spoke “Uhh...I don’t know they just...came to me, I guess...You said you wanted to sing about love...something different, so…”


Yolanda stood up, sighing “Justin...I love the song. It’s a perfect fit for me...but...It’s not about me…”


“I -I’m sorry I thought we-”

“We’re FINE, Justin. Really. This ...What we’ve been doing ...It’s been a lot of fun, but…”

“...But?” His eyes were searching, confused.

“...But you want Riley..”


His eyes went wide as he looked at her “What?! No...No it’s not like that. She’s my assistant. That’s all.” 


Yolanda shook her head, smiling “No, it’s not. This song. It’s about her, isn’t it? 


“What?! No…” he breathed.


“You can’t see your face when she texts you, or when you see something that reminds you of her. You reach out to her for the smallest favors, even halfway across the world.”


“Yolanda…”


“LISTEN,” she cut him off “I have followed your career for years, and the thing I respect most about you is that you always go after what you want musically. Even when it’s the weird choice. The unexpected choice. You need to do that for yourself, too, Justin...not just your career.”


Justin shook his head and looked at her “No. That’s not what’s happening here. She’s great at what she does. I get along with her, but what we have…”


“Stop. Please? Justin, you aren’t breaking anyone’s heart here. I like you. I like working with you and, well, everything else has been...hott, but I won’t be your second choice. And I don’t think you’re the kind of guy that wants to actually do that…”


Justin was speechless for a second, running his hands down his pants before replying.


“Things are a lot more complicated than you think…”


“So uncomplicate them. I’m not bailing on you. You think I am gonna walk away from my big break? Not a chance! You make me better than I ever have, and the opportunity you’ve given me I...I am still not sure I deserve it.”


“You do…” He said sincerely.

 

“I’m doing my best to believe that, and I will keep working hard, but you need to be honest with yourself. All these songs about love, Justin...Don’t you think you deserve to at least TRY in real life?”


Justin smiled “You realize this is making you even hotter, right…”

 

Yolanda shook her head “Shop’s closed. Unless you have more lyrics,” she smiled.

Chapter 19 by IvyVega


Riley sighed as she looked at her phone and clicked answer.


“Justin…” If he was going to be brief, she would too.


There was a pause on the other end. He hadn’t expected that tone from her. He knew he deserved it, but it still took him by surprise.


“Hello? “ she continued.


“Hi. Um. Riley I...On my way back to the city. “


“Great. That means the car made it. I’ll meet you at MSG before the show as planned. Do you need anything else before then?”


“No. No, should be good to go.”


“Ok good. I’ll see you tomorrow, Justin. Goodbye for now”


“Riley...wait…”


“Yes?”


“Look I’ll be back around 4. Can you meet me at my apartment?”


“For?” 


“I need to clarify a few things.It’s important.”


“You can’t do that over the phone?”


“It better its in person.” he replied. “Say 4:30?”


“Fine.” Riley agreed. “Should I have something ordered in?”


Justin smirked on his end. He knew she was being sarcastic, but he also knew if he said yes, she could have an entire meal ready and set up at his place before he even got back.


“Not necessary.” Smiling, he decided to break the tension “I have granola bars…”


Riley tried to fight the smile that crept up on her face.


“Save me a chocolate chip. I will see you soon.”


**

The door opened and Justin smiled. “Your hair…”


“Is shorter, yes.” Riley quipped. In truth, it had grown out a little, but Justin hadn’t seen her since the first time she had cut it to just above shoulder length.


It looks good.”


“Thank you,” Riley replied as she walked in. Clearing her throat, she continued. “So what did you need to discuss?”


“Well…” He paused before continuing, noticing her coat was still on. “You can sit down, you know…”


“Will this be taking long?”


Justin sighed. “Riley, I’m sorry. I know I haven’t exactly been ...friendly lately.”


“It’s fine. Business relationship, right? No need to get chatty.”


“Marin…”


And with that, she softened a little. Shrugging her coat off and handing it to him, she made her way to the couch and sat.


“Fine. Talk.” 


She was annoyed. She had a right to be. Being professional was one thing. Being aloof was another. Truthfully, he had never been great at balancing personal relationships with business ones.


He hung her coat and sat down next to her.


“There’s not really much I can say. I know we set boundaries, but...I took it too far. I know that.”


“You have a lot going on. I get it.”


“I do, but you have been a huge help with it all, and I’ve been acting like a dick.”


Riley smirked “Not exactly news, Justin.”


“I deserve that.”

“Tour’s going well, it seems. How was Europe?”


“Good. It was... Europe. I’m used to it, but it can still surprise you.”


Riley nodded, avoiding the elephant in the room. 


“Little more interesting this time…New people, new show…”


“New people..” she repeated.


“Yeah…” he trailed off, looking down. 


“How’s that going…” she spoke softly. As soon as the words left her mouth, she silently scolded herself.


Justin’s mouth twisted into a small smile “How’s what going…?”


“Justin...I know. The internet is a thing…”


He chuckled “Didn’t think you’d-”


“Katie…” she cut him off, covering her own ass.


“Ah…” He nodded. “Well...THAT’s...over.”


“Oh?” She didn’t want to ask.


“It got...complicated.” 


He was not ready to talk about what Yolanda had said. He didn’t know if he was even ready to acknowledge if it was true. He just knew he had missed her. Every 5’5,” sarcastic, micromanaging, overachieving, guarded part of her.


“That...happens?” Riley managed.


“Yeah...I guess it does” he laughed lightly. 


There was an awkward silence. 


“Riley…” he started.


“I missed you, too, Justin” she finished

**

Riley waited backstage for the show to end. She had decided to hide out tonight and lay low. Justin had kept her busy tying up a few loose ends from Europe, and she was kind of tired. It was good to be back in the swing of things, especially now that they were talking normally again.


Lost in emails, she looked up to a door opening.


“Another one down…” she smiled at him.


“Yep... “ he answered. He rubbed the back of his neck, clearing his throat.


She sat up as he concentrated, grabbing his throat lightly.


“You ok?” 


“Yeah *throat clear* ...This happens sometimes…” Wincing a bit, he looked at her. “Mind grabbing me a tea? Warm?”


“Yeah...No problem,” she got up “Are you getting sick?”


“Don’t think so...Probably just overworked.” He winced again, not saying anything else.




She handed him a cup. “This is hott. Give it a minute.”


“Thank you.”


“Justin, should I call someone?”


“No. I’ll be fine…” he smiled.




“Hello?” Riley yawned into her phone. She glanced over at her alarm clock. 5:02 am.

 

Why was he calling her at 5:02 am?!


“Marin…”


“Justin? Do you know what time it is?”


“Marin...You can call someone now…”


“What? Call who?”


“My throat. I think it’s bad…”


Pulling the comforter off as she slid her feet down, she sat up. “Get dressed. I’ll send a car.”


“Now?”


“Yes, now. You have a show tomorrow.”


“Ok. Thank you.”


Riley hurried over to her desk. She quickly flipped through her binder to find emergency contact info, including the names and numbers of doctors and emergency services. After three more aggressive calls than she had ever expected to make before 6 am, she had gotten him in to see his specialist that morning. Hair everywhere and eyes half open, she moved to focus her attention on a car service. 


She had exactly two hours to get ready, get to him, and get to the doctor. Sighing, she did the best she can, realizing she had no time for makeup. 


She pulled her hair up into what was quickly becoming a trademark messy bun, and managed to dig out a respectable enough looking fleece pullover over jeans and clean sneakers. Throwing on her peacoat and a pair of simple stud earrings, she hurried out the door into the waiting car outside. 


Deciding to give his throat a rest, she texted him as they pulled up outside his place. He was downstairs in 5 minutes in gray Nike joggers, a black hoodie, and a black beanie. Instinctively, she looked down at his feet. Dior Jordans...for a doctor’s visit. She was too tired to care, but still thought it was ridiculous.


Sliding in next to her in the backseat, he stared at her. 


“I know. I look like a potato. Ignore it.”


He smirked “No you don’t…”


“Shhh...quiet. Your throat.”


They rode the rest of the way in silence, and she decided not to comment on how worried he looked.


**


Bruised Vocal Chords.


Layman’s terms. The doctor could have called it whatever he wanted to. It didn’t matter. What mattered was he was going to have to put the rest of the tour on hold. 


Justin was devastated. Riley had stepped out of the room to make a few calls and start the process. He watched, almost numb, as she calmly balanced rapid fire text messages and rushed conversations with venues. 


She hadn’t hesitated. He hadn’t had to say a word before she had sprung into action. Her energy was executive, almost protective. Johnny had arrived shortly after they did, and broke Justin’s silence as they waited for the doctor to come back into the room with a treatment plan.


“She’s got this…” Johnny smiled “It’s gonna be fine…”


Riley’s mind was racing. She knew he had to be freaking out. She could feel a headache forming as she pushed away thoughts of him physically reacting. She had too much to take care of right now. She knew Johnny had his part to play, but for now she had left him with Justin to keep him calm. She hadn’t even asked, just acted. She was equally upset, if she was being honest. For him, for his fans. Mostly for him. She knew how much this tour meant to him, and knew the work she had cut out for her once reality set in for him.


Walking back into the exam room, she put on her bravest smile. 


 “Ok. Tomorrow is handled. We’re going to need a statement from you, but calls are being made for a new date. The rest of the venues will get back to me.”


“Thank you…” Justin whispered. 


His eyes were sad, dull. As the doctor spoke, they flickered through frustration, anger, and eventually, acceptance. 


Surgery. He had to have surgery. Riley took a deep breath. Noticing his grip on his pant leg, she grabbed his arm, squeezing until his hand relaxed a little.


“The most important thing is that you make as little noise as possible...No talking, no breathwork, no yelling, grunting...DEFINITELY no singing…”


The last word had hit Justin like an arrow to the chest. Not talking would be hard enough. Not singing? It was like breathing for him. 


Almost as if reading his thoughts, Riley spoke. “You can still write...and play.”


Justin made a face. “Uh huh…”


“How long is the recovery?” Johnny asked.


“Two to Three months.” The doctor turned to an X-Ray. “The scar tissue from your last procedure will come into play, but we will do the best we can to get you back out there...With your cooperation, of course.”


Riley’s mind drifted back into a memory. Katie and Emi had begged her to go to Challenge for the Children that year, but she had refused. She had gotten a detailed report when they got back, including how Justin was on vocal rest following a procedure on his vocal chords. Apparently, he had found other ways to make his presence known. Over the top ways.

He had been much younger then, but she started to mentally prepare herself for whatever she would have to deal with while he healed.


Justin could only nod. “No one can know” he whispered. 


“Whatever you want to say. It’s your statement,” Johnny said. 


“Bruised Vocal Chords,” he repeated the doctor’s words. “They can’t think…”


“Justin...They won’t…” 

 

She hoped she was right.

Chapter 20 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Enjoy, friends! 

 

This one is meaty. :)

Riley sat next to Johnny and Lynn in a private recovery area. It had been a relatively quick procedure, and it had gone well. Justin’s mom had flown in for the weekend and was a nervous wreck, but had seemed to calm down a little once talking to Johnny. Now came the tricky part: Keeping Justin from talking.


Riley looked up when she heard the sound of wheels coming their way. He looked sleepy, but alert. Glancing around slowly, his eyes landed on her.


“Riiillleeeyyyy...Hiiieeeee” he whispered out hoarsely with a goofy smile on his face.

Lynn’s eyebrows raised as she looked over to Riley. 


Riley covered her mouth and bit her cheek to keep from laughing. The anesthesia had clearly had an effect, and she briefly considered grabbing a quick video for blackmail purposes.


“Justin. SHUT UP!” Johnny scolded through a quiet laugh.


He was met with a confused pout as Riley held her finger up to her mouth “Shhh. Quiet time.”


Lynn chuckled and joined in, “Justin, HUSH”


Justin looked irritated as he let out a breath, listening to the aftercare instructions along with Riley, Lynn, and Johnny.


“He’s gonna need a little extra help the first week. Soft foods, quiet environment. I am prescribing a mild painkiller, but there shouldn’t be too much discomfort. It’s a tiny incision. “ He held out a printed packet that Riley took.


“Any questions, contact information and a nurseline is on the back page. Do you have any questions for me now, though?”


“Physical activity?” Johnny asked?


“Very limited. Just to be safe. Normal day to day, but I’d avoid workouts or anything like that for the time being. We’ll look to start voice therapy in a couple weeks. Until then- A reminder- NO noise.” He looked at Justin “If you need to cough or sneeze, there are safe ways to do it.”


Riley paid attention as the doctor demonstrated, knowing there was little chance Justin was absorbing all of this.


She had her work cut out for her in the next few weeks.


As she thought this, Lynn spoke up “That sounds like a lot. Maybe I should stay a little longer.” She looked to Justin “I wanna make sure you’re good, honey…”


Reaching out to grab his mom’s hand, he lazily patted it, reassuring her with his eyes and nodded his head toward Johnny and Riley.


Riley was silent. She knew enough not to fight a protective mother. 


“Justin...I’m your mom. You need to let me take care of you sometimes”


Opening his mouth to speak, he caught himself, the anesthesia having worn off more. His eyes darted between Johnny and Riley.


“Lynn...He’ll be fine. He’s in good hands. There is no need to worry. Spend the weekend with him. I’ll be close and Riley...Well she’s definitely got this.”


Lynn sighed and looked to Riley “I’m a phone call away...I can be back in a heartbeat.”


Riley swallowed and smiled “What if I make sure he facetimes you once a week during recovery?”


Johnny looked down, stifling a giggle. Justin shot her a look.


Lynn’s eyes lit up “Perfect!” She looked back to Justin “I like her!”




***


Riley fumbled with the door. Keys in one hand, grocery bags bundled in the other. 


Shoving the door open with her body, she set the bags down temporarily on the floor, blowing the hair out of her face. 


Walking down the foyer into the living room, she scowled a bit.


“Have you moved today?” she called out to the pile of basketball short and hoodie on the couch. 


Moving his focus from the tv to her direction, he gave her a pointed look.


“K. Get up. You have legs. I need help”


He scribbled something on a whiteboard and held it up “I’m resting.”


Riley was happy to put the food she had gone out to get at his request away, but he had REALLY been milking this whole “recovery” thing. It had been a week, which meant at this point, he should be on his feet and just giving his voice and throat a bit of a rest.


“You had vocal surgery, not an amputation, Justin.”


Rolling his eyes, he forced himself up. Grabbing a bag, he set it on the kitchen island and reached inside. Pulling out a 4 pack of pudding cups, his face fell.


“They didn’t have butterscotch...because its 2018, not 1987”


Justin shot her daggers and moved on to the rest of the bag. Staring inside, he made a satisfied face and started to put the contents in their appropriate homes.


“Any pain today?” He shook his head no.



“Good. Have you had to cough?”


He held up 1 finger, stopped to reconsider, then nodded in confirmation.


“Alright.” Riley walked over to the hall table and picked up a notebook to write something. 


Catching up to her, he grabbed the notebook from her and gave her a questioning look.


“I’m keeping track...monitoring progress.”


He grabbed a pen and wrote on a blank page, holding it up for her to see.


I’m fine.


Riley smirked “Are you? I thought you were ‘resting?,’ “ she air quoted.


Caught, he handed the notebook back to her and moved to pick up another bag. 


“So you start vocal exercises next Friday. I’ll meet you here for each session and we can head out. “


Justin nodded.


Riley smiled “I kind of like you this quiet,” she joked.


He squinted his eyes at her, walking back to the couch. 


****

Riley fished her phone out of her pocket, rolling her eyes.


6 texts in a row.


Riley, where are you?

I can’t find the honey.... 

Nevermind...Got it.

When do you think you’ll be here?

Can you order more bottled water?

Riley...?



Sighing, she typed her reply


Long line. Be there in about 15 minutes. Will order water when I get there.


On top of his surgery recovery, Justin had somehow caught a cold. The vocal therapy was going well, but had he been able to actually talk, he may have claimed he was actually dying. 


Riley felt like she had basically only been home to feed Benji or crash into her bed for the night.

She felt bad he could not cough or sneeze freely, but was also ready to throw him out a window.


Walking into his apartment, she found him under a blanket on his couch. 


“Ok. Soup’s here !”


He stared at her dramatically, pulling the blanket farther up over himself. 


“Justin...I know this sucks, but seriously...You aren’t dying…”


He pushed the blanket down and grabbed the whiteboard to answer.


I mean...I might be. 


Riley rolled her eyes. “Fine, but I just waited in a long line for this, so try some before you go…”


Justin mouthed “Ha ha”  as he took the container from her. Opening it, he sniffed it and then gave her a questioning look.


“It’s Matzoh ball soup...with chicken. Jewish Penicillin”


Justin set the soup down and wrote, a confused look on his face.


Are you Jewish?


Riley laughed “No...but I AM a New Yorker. Just trust me on this one. Eat.”


Justin shrugged and slowly started the soup. Riley ate her own, enjoying the silence.


“Riley,” she heard him whisper.


“Justin! Stop.” She pointed to the whiteboard. “Use that.”


Making a face, he wrote and held up the board.


Is there ice cream left?


“I don’t know. Is there? You know where your freezer is, right?”


Huffing, he got up and made his way to the kitchen.


“Keep doing that, you’ll be stuck not talking longer,” she called after him. 


Opening the freezer door, he glared back at her before searching the shelf.  Waving at her, he pointed at the lack of ice cream.


Riley sighed. “I’ll get some more when your cold is over”


Justin’s eyes were dark, annoyed, as he made his way back over to the whiteboard.


It makes me feel better, Marin…


“I. Know. that. “ she said through a tight mouth.”But I am doing the best I can here, Justin.”


Nodding at her, he gave her a doubtful look.


“OKAY. Listen Timberlake. I know this is hard for you, but you are making it hard for everyone else, too. You have me running around like crazy, for the most RIDICULOUS stuff. How about take it down a notch and stop acting like a five year old…”


His eyes were fire now as he clenched his fists in frustration.


“Stop, Justin. I’m leaving. I’ll be back tomorrow for your appointment. There’s pudding in the fridge. Eat that.”


**

Making her third trip to his apartment in one day, Riley took deep breaths to calm herself down. First he needed  more cold medicine because the first one “tasted funny,” then he got hungry, and finally he wanted to go over travel details for his upcoming rescheduled tour dates.


The last one being pretty important, Riley was not in the position to really complain about it, but she did have a plan.


Riley pulled her rollerbag through the door, being careful to clear the carrier she was wearing.


She was met in the foyer by Justin, who had been expecting her. As he stared at the rollerbag, she answered the question in his eyes.


“I’m staying here until you’re cleared. “ she said.


Justin’s eyes got wide and he opened his mouth to try to whisper.


“Shhh. It’s happening. It’s easier. I spoke to Johnny and he agrees. I can’t keep going back and forth over the bridge, and you have the room.”


Justin looked from her to the carrier on her shoulder, which had started to move.


Riley smirked, putting the carrier down “THIS...is Benji.” 

She unzipped the front mesh panel “I couldn’t leave him alone, so...Don’t worry, he’s housetrained.”


Benji made his way out of the carrier slowly, shifting around. Justin smiled, crouching down and reaching his arm out, and he trotted right over, jumping up onto his knees with his front paws.


“Hey! ...Down, Benj!” Riley spoke firmly. 


Justin waved her off, scratching Benji behind the ears. 


“Okaaay then...I’m gonna go get my stuff in the guest room. You ok with him in here for a bit?”


Justin nodded. 


“Great. I brought the travel arrangements. Think of what you want for dinner while I unpack.” She turned and made her way to the staircase.


Watching her, Justin shook his head. She was unbelievable. And he was starting to realize that was exactly what he needed.

**


Riley woke up and yawned, slamming her alarm. She had gotten used to her temporary room. Staying at his place had proven much easier, even if it came with the occasional argument. The time saved commuting meant she actually had some down time.


Justin had seemed to relax a little having her that close. He didn’t have to text her every time he needed something. They had fallen into a rhythm, even taking time to get to know each other a little more, Riley with her words and Justin with a pen and his eyes. Riley had started to understand him more than ever before, which ultimately made things easier.


“Morning, Benj!” she called and looked down at the foot of the bed. He had adjusted fairly quickly, sleeping at the foot of the bed, just like he usually did at home.


This morning, though, he was missing.


“Benji? Where are ya, buddy?”


Getting up, she searched the room and the hall. Nothing. Making her way downstairs, she stopped short as she saw him. Curled up in Justin’s lap on the couch.


Traitor… she thought.


“Well...Good morning. Looks like you have a new friend…”


Justin looked up, eyes dancing with amusement. Benji lifted his head, tongue hanging out in a smile.


“Ok, little dude...Come on...breakfast.”


Benji whimpered and buried his head back down into Justin’s waist. Smiling, Justin shrugged.


Riley shook her head. “Men…” Shuffling to the kitchen, she started breakfast. 


--


Riley finished up breakfast dishes and turned to walk into the living room, only to find Justin staring at her.


“JESUS…” she stumbled back a bit “Ok creepy…”


He smiled and started to laugh as she stopped him “Hey hey hey...STOP. No! No laughing.” 


He rolled his eyes and held up his whiteboard.


Stop being perfect. Relax a little.


Riley shook her head “Noooot perfect. I just can’t stand a dirty sink.”


Justin quickly erased the board and scribbled something new.


Overachiever, he smirked.


Riley sighed. “I can leave, ya know…”


He shook his head No and pointed at the tv, scooting over on the couch. 


She sat down next to him.


“Stop saying things like that. Seriously. This is my job, Justin. Just making things easy on myself. I’m not a robot…”


Justin smiled and wrote again ...You take care of EVERYTHING. Own it.


“Stop…”


She was hiding more than he knew, and the guilt had been eating at her.


Justin shrugged, a smirk on his face.


She couldn’t take it anymore. He had to know. He had to understand why she kept herself so guarded. It was the only way she was going to be able to relax and move on. She took a deep breath before she could stop herself. 


“I...I slept with Derek…”


His eyes went wide as he snapped his head to look at her and he opened his mouth before catching himself, letting her continue.


“In March...Just once I...Met up with him while you were on tour and...I don’t know what happened….I’m such an idiot. I know I am. He’s still with her. The girl he cheated on me with...and I fell for his bullshit. Again. So I’m really not who you think I am. Put together Riley. In control Riley. Uptight Riley. I’m a mess…”


Justin steadied his breathing. He wanted so badly to be able to talk to her right now. To tell her she wasn’t a mess. To tell her she deserved better. That she wasn’t an idiot. That any time she opened up even a little bit, he always wanted to hear more. That he didn’t know what he would do without her.


But he couldn’t tell her. Not the way he wanted to. He wondered if he could even find the words with a full voice. 


She watched his eyes change color as he wrote, then held up the white board.


Not a mess. Perfectly Riley.


She didn’t know what to say. Perfectly Riley. What did that even mean? It had been a long few weeks. Actually, it had been a long couple years. She couldn’t remember exactly who “Riley” was anymore, realizing for the first time it had been too long since she had thought about it. She had been too busy. Who she used to be. What she used to want. Where she was headed in life. 


She was exhausted. Physically and mentally. He had brought her to a breaking point. Why was she trying so hard? Why did he trust her so much? Why didn’t she want to disappoint him? 


“I’m not…” she said quietly “I haven’t been. Not really.”


He wrote again: I know…


Erasing and writing again, this time he held up 

At the bar? Tequila night. Was that her?


Riley smiled, biting her lip “Maybe?” 


Justin smiled and rewrote

She was pretty cool…


Riley laughed and wiped at the tears that had formed in her eyes “Oh GOD...Sorry…”

She had embarrassed herself. 


Justin shook his head, reaching out to wipe the rest of her tears away with a napkin. 


She smiled and giggled a little as new ones formed. “Oh my GOD what is wrong with me,” she huffed. 


Moving away for long enough to write, Justin held up his reply.


Nothing…

Throwing the white board onto the table, he closed the distance between them, kissing her softly. 


Closing her eyes, she melted against his lips, feeling herself relax as a few last tears fell.

Reaching his hands up to frame her face, he brushed them away with his thumbs.

Riley reached up to rest her hand on his arm as he deepened the kiss, her arms slowly finding their way around his neck. Sliding his hands down, they felt their way down her body as she gently ran her fingers through the slight wave starting to form in his hair.


She felt her heart start to race as his breathing started to get heavier, her own breath picking up to match.


Gently grabbing her waist, she felt him pull away, his breath against her mouth. Opening her eyes, she looked into his. They were crystal blue, soft and kind. With her own, she questioned him. 


Cupping the side of her face with one hand, he smiled gently at her, his eyes conveying something new now. Somehow, she knew exactly what he was trying to say.


He stared at her, deliberately ignoring his instinct. She was beautiful. Her brown eyes like honey in the moment. Messy dark waves framing her face as they grazed his hand. She was also tired. She was worn out. She hadn’t stopped since he met her, and she needed rest. He needed her.


One last brush of her lips, he reached for the white board, smiling, one more time as she bit her lip.

 

Riley...Go to bed…

Chapter 21 by IvyVega

Riley shifted her body under the weight of something warm. Slowly opening her eyes, she yawned, finding herself covered by a thick blanket. 


“Justin?,” she looked around. The last thing she remembered was them watching FRIENDS re-runs quietly after dinner. The tv was still on, Rachel flying around the kitchen, being terrorized by a bird. She giggled sleepily and looked around, finding Justin looking at her.


“You fell asleep…” he whispered. He had been cleared for light vocal use, and he couldn’t be happier about it. He was still not  saying much, per doctor’s orders, but it felt like a weight had been lifted.


Riley yawned. “Sorry…” she smiled.


Justin shook his head “You looked cold,” he softly answered.


Riley blushed “Thank you…” Staring at the time on the cable box, she laughed at herself “Oh my God it’s only 9 o clock…”


Justin chuckled silently.


“Well..I’m awake now. Movie?”


Justin smiled, moving closer to her on the couch. Lifting the blanket, he sat next to her and draped it over both of them. 


Riley looked toward him and shifted to get comfortable. They hadn’t talked about the kiss three days ago. They couldn’t, really, but she could feel a change in the way he looked at her...and in the way she looked at him. She wanted to ask, but at the same time, she didn’t want to know. She still had a job to do. A job she had come to really love. A job she turned out to be good at. 

Still, she couldn’t ignore that being here, with him, was the most relaxed she had been in years.


Justin stared at the tv as she scrolled to find something to watch. His mind was racing. This felt right. REALLY right. He knew he had crossed a line with Riley, but got the sense that she didn’t mind. Little by little, he had seen more of a spark in her. Longer laughs, bigger smiles, more meaningful conversations. He was nervous around her now, but at the same time totally at ease. He didn’t know exactly where this was all headed, but he was happy to take it one moment at a time. 


Settling on a movie both of them had seen a hundred times, they sat in silence again, laughing at familiar jokes. 


Justin tugged the blanket slightly, attempting to cover his larger frame a bit more. 


Noticing the slight draft on her legs as he did so, Riley slowly pulled back, attempting to divide the warmth evenly. Back and forth without a word for a few minutes, Riley spoke up…


“Stop it…” she laughed. “Aren’t you supposed to be warm-blooded…”


Justin grinned, tugging the blanket harder toward his side now. 


“Oh HELL no…” Riley giggled, tugging back with all her strength. 


Losing his grip, he fell forward as she pulled. Catching his shoulder to steady him, Riley looked in his eyes. Licking her lips nervously, she pulled herself up slightly to press them against his. 

His arms wrapped around her, cradling at her lower back as she turned to grab his waist. The kiss got deeper as they fell back against the couch cushions. 


Riley felt movement on the couch as she got lost in the moment, unsure of where it was coming from. Suddenly, their arms were forced away from each other as four furry feet broke their embrace. 


Benji’s tail wagged happily as he settled halfway between both of their laps. Looking to each of them briefly, he huffed and laid his head on Justin’s legs. 


Looking at each other, they laughed until tears formed in the corners of their eyes. 


“Damn it, Benji…” Justin whispered.


**


Riley made her way around to the back. She had enjoyed her time off for Christmas, having checked in a few times with Justin while he also spent time with his family. 


Having made a full recovery, he had restarted the tour at the beginning of the month, but she had avoided watching any footage, despite how many times Katie and Emi had tried to send her stuff. Having no real reason to call him for any appearances or arrangements, she had stuck to text messages.


Tonight was one of the more anticipated nights of the reschedule, it being not only at Madison Square Garden, but also his birthday. 


Truthfully, she was nervous. How would she feel when she saw him again. How would he sound? There were not any side effects expected from the surgery, but she couldn’t help but wonder if it had altered his pitch, even a little.  


And then there was the kiss...Well, several kisses. And a lot of hands. Surgery recovery had stopped them from going very far, but they had not discussed what it all meant.


She knew one thing. She didn’t hate him anymore. She hadn’t in awhile. In fact, if she was being honest with herself, she had smiled more in the last year than she could remember ever having done before. He still got on her nerves, and there were times she wanted to throw him out a window, but somehow, she could never stay annoyed at him. 


She walked down a hall, having texted him that she was there,  as he rounded the corner.


Wrapping his arms around her in a hug, he was silent. She hugged him back and then pulled away. Why wasn’t he saying anything?


Riley stared at him, waiting. She had no idea what the surgery may have done to his voice.. She knew what singing meant to him, and he had texted her that the tour was going well, but what about his speaking voice?


“Relax, Marin...I’m fine…” he teased with a grin.


“OH my God…” She swatted at him. “Don’t scare me like that!”


Dodging her hit, he  laughed lightly “Were you afraid I’d sound different?”


“I mean...maybe.” she laughed. 


“No such luck...Stuck with the same old me.”


“Eh. I’m used to it..It’s fine…”


“Now...since I CAN talk again...I have some stuff I have been WAITING to say…”


Riley looked at him nervously “Um...Ok?”


Taking a deep breath, he started “OKAY. First of all, I was not THAT big of a pain in the ass. Not talking was REALLY hard for me, let alone not being able to sing, and then getting sick on top of it? You saved my ass and are probably the one thing that kept me from going completely insane...So THANK YOU. “


“You’re welcome, Justin. Part of my J-”


“Shhh shh shh..I’m not done….”


Riley closed her mouth, trying not to laugh. His momentum was almost comical.


“SECONDLY, Derek...is an ASSHOLE, and he never deserved you. I hate that  he got to you, but Riley...You have NOTHING to be ashamed of. HE is the dick, NOT you. You are SO much better off without him. You deserve SO much better...and LASTLY...Your eggs are AMAZING…”


Riley cracked a smile. “Are you done?


“For now…” Justin smiled. 


“Good to have you back, Timberlake” Riley managed. 


“Glad YOU’RE back…” he answered. 


There was a brief silence and he reached out to squeeze her hand. 


She smiled. “Happy Birthday, Justin...You’re gonna make all those people wait?...Go get dressed…”


*******

Riley busied herself backstage by keeping everything in order. Making sure the extra friends and family were taken care of, getting Justin in and out of brief conversations with press who had shown up, and making sure his anxiety wouldn’t make an appearance. 


Since it was a special occasion, there was also a little more alcohol flowing than usual, and she was on guard to make sure no one overdid it.


What seemed like no time later, Riley stood just under the ramp next to Justin. Showtime. 


The crowd was already screaming, and the lights had just gone down. 

She couldn’t help but be taken back to her *NSync days. She wondered what 11-year-old Riley would have worn to this show.


Probably something with entirely too much glitter, she thought to herself.


The giant MOTW logo slowly lowered and she turned to him to see his eyes closed. 


“You got this…” she smiled. 


He took a deep breath and winked at her. 


She stifled a laugh “Justin...Are you already tipsy…?”


He chuckled and touched her shoulder…. “See ya later, Riley,” and jogged up the ramp onto the stage. 


She shook her head to herself.


Well, it IS his birthday, she giggled.



Smiling to herself, she headed backstage to relax for a minute.


Walking down a hall, she was stopped by wardrobe.


“Girl...What are you wearing..?!”


“Uh...Clothes?” Riley looked down at her outfit. Sure, she wasn’t dressed up, but she was there to work, and Justin’s party had been billed as “casual.”


“You’re not wearing that later, are you?”


“I mean...I was going to, yeah…” 


Riley was met with a sneaky smile. It had not been lost on most of the crew the way she and Riley acted around each other. 


“Well...Not now...Come on….,” she grabbed Riley’s hand, pulling her.


“Wait...I have to work…”


“Do you know how long this show is? This won’t take long...Trust me…”


--

Riley looked at herself in a dressing room mirror. She had been hesitant, but had to admit she looked good. She rarely got that dressed up anymore, but it had been fun to be pampered. It was freezing outside, but for now she was going to ignore that and have fun with this look. 

She touched her hair one last time, noticing how smooth it felt, and smiled. 

Throwing her credentials back around her neck, she made her way to the entrance to the venue, making her way to section 102. She had something up her sleeve that was going to earn her major points. 


Ducking low, she found Katie and Emi...

“Hey!” she shouted over the music.


“Ry!” Katie shouted back “What are you doing? Aren’t you working?...WOW. LOOK AT YOU!”


Riley smiled “Yep. I’m working...Here!” she beamed as she handed Katie two wristbands.

Katie’s eyes went huge.


“What are those…” Emi asked, having an idea exactly what they were.


“You know what they are...COME ON!”


“ARE YOU SERIOUS?!” Katie squealed. 


“Shhhh… YES” Riley laughed. “Put them on and let’s go…” She nodded her head toward the stairs.


“RILEY I LOVE YOU” Emi shouted. They followed her excitedly down to the floor and into VIP. 


Riley giggled. “Ok be cool though...He’s still my boss…”


Katie and Emi , as expected, were losing their minds, singing every word, as they danced along to the show. Riley laughed and danced along with them. 


“I think he won you over!” Emi smiled at Riley.


“Occupational Hazard…” Riley teased “I never said he couldn’t perform…”


The opening to Rock Your Body started and Riley grinned, knowing just how close her friends were about to get. 


“SHIT...OH MY GOD…” Katie screamed as Emi grabbed her arm and turned them around the face the brightly tiled dance floor.


Justin made his way to the floor and Katie and Emi’s phones went up.


“HE’S RIGHT FREAKING THERE!” Emi squealed.


As the music pulsed, Justin spun around and caught Riley’s eyes. His smile got bigger and she knew he was plotting. Making his way through the dancers, he did a quick step over to where the three of them were standing, and grabbed Katie’s hand, leading her in a quick two-step before winking at her, then pointing  as he walked away. 


Katie froze as Emi’s jaw hit the floor and Riley laughed.


If she faints, he’s paying the medical bill, she thought as she giggled.


“AHHHHHHHHH!!! FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!” Katie hugged Emi and then Riley. She had tears in her eyes, and Riley held her for a second. She had never seen Katie this excited before, and that was saying something. 


“DID EITHER OF YOU GET THAT ON CAMERA?” She shouted.


Emi and Riley both laughed “Yes!” They said in unison.


Onstage, Justin was making his way through “Supplies,” and looked down to see Riley, stuck in a laugh. A full, unashamed, letting loose laugh. Her entire face lit up in a glow as she watched her friends’ excitement. He caught himself staring, and pulled back into the moment. Her turn to be surprised was quickly approaching. 


As Supplies winded down, so did Riley, Katie, and Emi, with Emi pouting. 


“It’s almost over…” she whined, having looked up the setlist beforehand.


Approaching the center of the stage near the VIP bar, the music stopped and Justin grabbed a guitar.


“Wait what’s this?’ Katie asked, looking at Riley.


“Uh..I don’t know…” Riley answered honestly.


Justin paused for the screams and approached the mic stand “New York! DAMN!”  The screams got louder and he grinned. “You know how to show a guy a good time…Mind if I sneak one in?” The crowd roared and he continued “I haven’t done this one in awhile...but...I’m feeling inspired tonight...You with me…?” Shouts of support flooded the venue, and as the opening chords of the song started, the crowd swelled with excitement. 


“Oh my GOD!!! “ Katie screamed. 


The song sounded familiar to Riley but she couldn’t place it exactly. 


Justin took a breath and smiled as he started “...Said all I want from you is to see you tomorrow...and every tomorrow, maybe you’ll let me borrow your heart…”


Katie and Emi were swaying and singing along. Riley smiled and nodded along. He started swaying and dancing in time, then turned to focus his attention on where they were standing.


“That’s right..” he winked. 


Katie and Emi shoved Riley excitedly, as Justin turned his gaze directly on Riley ...


“I know people make promises all the time..then they turn right around and break them..When someone cuts your heart open with a knife…then you’re bleeding...Oh, but I can be that guy to heal it over time...and I won’t stop until you believe it...cuz baby you’re worth it...”


Riley felt her heart pound faster as she stared back at him. Was he…?


“Omg Ry…” Emi whispered. 


Riley opened her mouth to say something, but couldn’t find words. Katie noticed the gaze in her eyes and playfully hit her arm “RILEY! ….YOU...YOU LIKE HIM…”


“Shutup,” she whispered, eyes on the stage…


Justin played to the crowd, then glanced back over 


“Don’t act like it’s a bad thing...to fall in love with me…”


Riley blushed as he smiled and continued to sing, making his rounds in the crowd. 


Emi and Katie giggled and stared at Riley. “You have something to tell us?” Emi smirked.


Riley shook her head “No…” she smiled.


Crouching down a little, he sang in their direction, continuing into the bridge, and Katie and Emi swooned as they hugged Riley. 


“No I ..won’t fill your mind...with broken promises...and wasted time...and if you fall ...You’ll always land..right in these arms...these arms of mine…”


Riley’s face betrayed her as she turned to her friends. 


“I have to go get ready for the party and show end…”


“You’re leaving NOW...AFTER THAT?” Katie asked.


“Duty calls” Riley shrugged. 


Emi shook her head “This was AMAZING, Ry...Thank you…” 


Katie grabbed her arm “We’re TALKING ABOUT THIS LATER…” she winked. 


Riley rolled her eyes and smiled “Fine...I’ll call you guys tomorrow.”


 

Chapter 22 by IvyVega

Riley waited backstage in a small dressing room. One song left according to her timing. 


She reached into the small fridge to grab a bottle of water, hum-singing to herself mindlessly…


“..Tell me where you’re from, what you do, what you like, Let me get your brain, girl…”


“...And tell me how they got that pretty little face on that pretty little fr-”


Riley spun around startled, and Justin stopped short, speechless. He had been so focused earlier, he hadn’t noticed what she had been wearing, but he could have sworn it was NOT this...


“Wow...Um...Riley…”


He stared at her. The simple black dress fit her perfectly, and the lace trim was just enough. The thin leather straps sat perfectly on her collarbone.. Her hair had been perfectly curled at the ends into soft waves that fell naturally around her shoulders. She was glowing. 

Her eyes were just slightly shaded and the highlight on her cheeks made her look like something out of a movie.


“Show over already…,” she broke the silence. 


“Uh huh... You look. Incredible.”


Riley blushed, but deflected. “You’re all sweaty...Go shower so we can get to the party…”


“Right...Right...the uh…” he stammered. “What did you think of the show?”


“UNREAL as usual…” Riley responded, swallowing before asking the question she knew she needed to.


“Uh...That extra song… Were you...I mean was that -”


“Yeah…” He smiled softly, answering her question in one look. “‘I mean it’s...not new, but…”


“Right,” she breathed “Um...Thank you…”


Justin sighed, sincerity in his eyes as he grabbed her hand “He’s still a dick, Marin... You need someone who appreciates you. You’re...YOU…”


Riley looked down “I don’t...Thank you, Justin…”  She felt a warmth with his hand on hers. It was a feeling she didn’t know what to do with.


Sensing her nerves, he changed the subject.


“Katie and Emi have fun?”


Riley giggled “Well...You almost killed Katie, but yeah…”


He laughed “She liked that, huh?”


“You could say that,” Riley laughed. 


Her hand was still in his, and she looked up to meet his eyes. “I liked it too…”


He smiled. “I’m gonna go get ready.”

Riley watched him leave, her heart having picked up speed. 

“Shit…” she whispered to herself.



****


Riley slowly sipped her seltzer and lemon as she scanned the room. Everyone seemed to be having a great time at the party, and Justin was in rare form, laughing and dancing around more than she had ever seen him do. It was probably all the liquid happy he had ingested. She had made it her personal mission to keep him hydrated between drinks, but he was giving her a run for her money. 


Justin’s childhood friend Eytan walked over to her, smiling. “He’s almost here. Ready for the big reveal?” he asked.


“I am..IS HE?” she laughed. Eytan and Trace had arranged for Justin’s favorite rapper, Mase, to make an appearance. Justin had no idea, and Riley had a feeling she might have to do some damage control. 


Eytan laughed back at her “We shall see. Anyway, I’ll text you when he gets here. Think you can distract him while we sneak him inside?”


“I think I can handle that,” Riley smirked. She was REALLY looking forward to watching Justin caught off guard.


Eytan made his way to the dance floor, and Riley felt a tug on her arm a few minutes later.


“Hey you! What are you doing over here by yourself…” Justin grinned at her.


“Hey birthday boy...Making sure you make it out of this night alive…” she teased. 


“Riley Riley Riley...You need to relax a little…”


“I’m working, BOSS…”


He rolled his eyes. “Party is GREAT. You nailed it. Take the rest of the night off!”


“Justin…” she gave him a look.


“Riley…” he mimicked her. “It’s my birthday...and you know what I want for my birthday?”


Riley laughed. He was slurring a little, but not beyond hope yet. “What’s that?”


“I...want YOU...to have FUUNNNNNN….” he purred at her. 


Geezus. Why was he so charming?

The smile Riley was fighting snuck onto her face. “One drink, Justin...ONE…”


“AYYYYYYYEEE….” he cheered and lifted his hand to get the bartender’s attention. “Can we get a round of espolon over here?”


Riley noted the specific order. “A round..?”


Justin shrugged. “Open to interpretation…”


Riley shook her head. A few moments later, the bartender placed 4 overflowing shots of tequila before them. 


“Bottoms up, Marin…” Justin handed her one. 


“Justin...There had better be two other people coming over…”


“Just you and me,  chief…”


“I said ONE, Justin…”


“Fine.” he downed his shot, waiting for her.


She sighed. “Happy Birthday, Timberlake…” she knocked back the shot with ease. 


Justin clapped his hands together. “ONE DOWN…”


Riley laughed “And ONLY one, Justin…”


He smirked like a kid plotting a prank “I changed my mind. I need one last favor...and its a direct order…”


“Justin…”


“I NEED you to take another shot, Riley. As your boss…” 


“You are a child, you know that…”


She knew she didn’t have to take the shot. She knew she should probably let go a little. She also knew EXACTLY how she was feeling sober and it scared the hell out of her… but she was tired of being scared. She was tired of her life being stuck in neutral. 


“Fine.” she smirked and downed her second shot as he picked up the last one. 


“Nuh uh... “ she grabbed it from him. “You got a head start…” 

Justin raised his eyebrows in amusement as she finished the last shot.


“There you are...Come on, badass…” He grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the dance floor.


Riley followed Justin as he continued to mingle and they danced a little with the tour crew. 


Justin’s eyes settled on her as she swayed her hips. She could move. More importantly, he had never seen her this playful. It was hott.


She had to admit it was nice to have a real night out. It had been quite awhile. Lost for a minute in the festivities, she felt her phone buzz and quickly grabbed it, waiting until Justin was busy talking to someone to check the message.


“All set. M is here. Get him to the center of the room,” Eytan’s text read.


Riley threw the phone back in her crossbody and got Justin’s attention. “Sorry to interrupt. Justin uh..Johnny needs you…”


Justin frowned a little “No work, Riley…”


She shrugged. “He said it’s important.” Riley pointed to the center of the room. Justin excused himself and made his way over, Riley following close behind. 


As they made it to the edge of the small dancing space, a voice came over the speaker. 


“Ok  we need you to clear the dance floor. The birthday boy’s friends have a special message…LADIES AND GENTLEMEN”


The crowd parted and waited on baited breath as the track started and a yellow jacket appeared. 

The rap started, and Justin’s jaw dropped. Taking a step forward, the shock (or the tequila) set in and he collapsed to the floor. 


Riley could not hold back her deep laughter as he got up and started dancing with the enthusiasm of a 14 year old girl at a One Direction concert. 


GOT HIM, she thought…


This was pure joy. This was fanboy. He was living his best life, and it was infectious. It was adorable. 

It was...hott?


Riley fought herself as she watched him, eyes lit up as he processed what was happening. She needed a distraction. She slipped away to the bar to get a drink. Her thoughts drifted to the last few months of her life and how drastically her world had changed in a year. 


“Espolon and seltzer. Extra lime.” the bartender smiled at her. “THANK YOU” she smiled and left a tip on the bar. 


A set of arms wrapped around her from behind. “RILEY YOU KNEW?” he beamed in her ear.

“Surprised?” she craned her neck to look back at him. 


“Ya think?” he laughed.  She laughed back and his face changed. His eyes scanning her face, his mouth fell into a bashful smile and as she opened her mouth to speak again he caught it quickly with his lips. She pulled back suddenly, looking around. 


“Justin-” her eyes warned. He looked back at her. She was right.


“Follow me” he said quietly as he grabbed her hand under the bar and glanced toward an empty nook near the restrooms. He turned and started to walk.


Riley froze for a  brief second, downing two long sips of her drink. A quick glance of the room reassured her that no one had been paying attention. One last chug of tequila,, she made her way to him. 


“Hey,” he smiled as she snuck into the darkness with him. It wasn’t lost on her that this was a pretty random area of the venue. Had it been designed specifically for moments like this? 


“Hi…” 


He leaned down to kiss her, parting her lips with his tongue as she returned the gesture. He took her hand to pull her closer. 


“Justin...” she breathed, arms reaching up around his neck.


“My Riley,” he whispered against her ear before raining kisses down her neck.


She kissed her way back to his lips, letting her hands roam his back before taking a minute to pull 

back and catch her breath. 


If they were caught, this would be the end of her employment. 


It was honestly kind of thrilling. 


"What's wrong..." he breathed.


"Nothing...nothing I just... Feel all...sparkly..." 


"Sparkly?" He raised his eyebrows. "I think that's the tequila..." 


She smirked as she leaned back in "No it isn't..." 


Smiling ear to ear, he wrapped his arms around her “You wanna get out of here?”


She giggled instinctively “Did you really just say that?”


He giggled a little.  “ Yeah… yeah sorry… “ he made a face “...But do you?


Riley bit her lip, tired of lying to herself . “Yeah, Yeah I do…”


“Get a car…” 


Riley walked out first, smoothing her hair down as she made her way back into the party. 

She nearly ran straight into Trace as he walked toward the bathroom. 


“Hey Riley...Great Party…” he smiled.


“Thanks, uh, gotta take care of something ..Excuse me.” She averted her eyes and kept walking as Justin slipped out of the darkness, shirt slightly wrinkled. 


Trace gave him a look, and a chuckle followed.


“Hey man...What?” Justin tried to act casual.


“So you’re gonna act like I didn’t just see Riley running away…”


Justin glanced back toward the bathrooms. “...From the ladies room?...”


“Yeah…” he laughed “Sure buddy...sure…” He slapped Justin’s shoulder and shook his head as he passed him. 


Riley tried to blend in and wrap up any remaining party business while Justin made his rounds saying goodnight to his guests. It was late enough that no one tried to keep him, but Riley wanted to make sure the venue had clear instructions as far as payment and when and how the party should end. Her head was a little cloudy, and she wasn’t sure if the slight dizziness she felt was the tequila or anticipation.


Fifteen minutes later, Riley politely interrupted Justin as he was talking to Eytan and Trace.


“Justin...Your car is here. You ready to go?”


He gave his friends one last hug and tried to appear professional as he turned back to her

“Thank you, Marin...Lead the way…”


Trace snuck a wink at Riley as they left. 


Crap… She thought. How did he know?


Outside, Riley waited until Justin was safely tucked away in the back seat before looking around her.  Justin scooted to crack open the door 

“No one saw us, Riley...Get in…” he smiled.


She slid in next to him, noting the tinted glass that separated them from the driver. 


Reading her mind, Justin spoke “He can’t see us, either…” 


Riley smiled as he leaned forward and kissed her, picking up where they had left off at the party.


*****


Riley shuffled backwards through the door, feeling like she was floating but safely held in his embrace. They crashed against the wall of the foyer, a blur of hands and kisses. His hands slid up her leg and under her dress, his breathing ragged. Her hands gripped his lower back and pulled him into her, losing herself in his touch.



She tore at his shirt, feeling the buttons pop as it slid down his arm, revealing his  flexed bicep as he made quick work of sliding her panties down. She slid his shirt down,leaving him in his fitted undershirt.

 

Justin lifted her up quickly from behind and her legs found their way around his waist. 

 

“Where are we going…” “ she asked.

“Wherever you wanna go…”

 

“..Surprise me…”

 

He smiled and deepened their kiss as he made his way to the couch. They stumbled as his legs buckled on the edge. Riley worked her way around him and pushed him backward onto the cushions. 

 

“My turn…” she smiled as she climbed on top of him.

 

His eyes danced looking up at her “Damn, Marin...Full of surprises.”

 

She kissed his neck and heard him groan softly, running her hand slowly back and forth under the waistband of his boxers.

 

”How long have you thought about this, Justin...about me?” she whispered in his ear.

 

Reaching up to cradle her butt with both hands, he answered “Too long…”

 

She smiled and made her way to his fly, unbuttoning and unzipping until she found 

what she was looking for. Running her hand across it, she stopped. 

 

“Good, she stood up. “So then show me…” She smirked and slowly walked toward his bedroom. 

 

Propping himself up on the couch to pull his jeans up around him, he called out to her “Uhhh….Riley…?” 

 

Peeking her head out of the doorway of the bedroom, she spoke softly “...Are you coming?”

 

A short chuckle escaping him, he stood up, sliding his pants down to the floor “...Oh. I’m coming, Marin…”

 

**

Justin entered the room, finding her on the bed, hands stretched behind her. 

 

“Hey…” Riley began to play with the strap of her dress, pulling it down slightly. Justin walked to her quickly, stopping her hand with his. 

 

“Leave that on…” Leaning down to kiss her shoulder, she fell back onto the bed as he kissed down between her chest, removing her bra when he got to her belly button. He pushed up her dress slowly and gently as he travelled.

She slid her hands into his hair until his head slid out of reach, his lips moving lower and lower until…

 

“Jusstiiinn…” It was a purr as his tongue found her, sending her to a different place entirely.

Riley gripped the bed as she felt  her back arch on its own. She felt a wave of dizziness ,as he made his way back up her body, crawling onto the bed next to her.

 

Riley’s breathing was ragged as she looked over at him and propped herself up. 

 

“Your turn?” she smiled at him. 

 

Justin reached over to guide her closer, as she slowly slid down his body. Making quick work of his jeans, she slid them down as he kicked them off. Sliding down his boxer briefs, she paused for a minute.

 

“Looks like I don’t have much work to do here…” she teased. 

 

Sliding his hand through her hair and tugging her head back gently to look up at him, his voice was gravel “You never did, Riley…”

 

She dipped her head, returning his favor as she playfully made use of her tongue. 

 

“Fuckkk…” he growled. His grip on her head tightened slightly as he looked down to watch her. “Look at me…” he whispered.

 

Riley slowly opened her eyes and looked up, meeting his gaze. She felt him getting close, and slowed her rhythm. 

 

Gently pulling her off him, he lifted and spun her onto the bed. 

 

“Riley…” he slid himself up so he was hovering above her, gently pushing up the bottom of her dress. It was a question, one which he was pretty sure he knew the answer to.

 

“Yes, Justin...Yes…” she panted, reaching her hand up to grip his forearm. 

 

Letting out an appreciative breath, Justin leaned down to kiss her hard, as he slid under her dress and into her. Riley tilted up to meet him, their bodies moving together naturally. 

 

Her fingers dug into his back, urging him to go deeper. His reaction, a low chuckle, only made her grip harder, as she responded to his every motion. 

 

Letting herself go, she heard herself whimper as she felt his muscles start to tense up. 

 

“Wait for me…” he purred in her ear “Come with me, Riley…”

 

And mere moments later, she did.

 

**

Riley's eyes fluttered open to his scent. The sun seemed too bright for the winter morning, and she shielded her face from the light as her eyes adjusted to land on him. She was tired, REALLY tired, and there was a slight pulse in her head. Last night had been a rush, but she remembered everything. It struck her that she should be a little embarrassed, but she wasn’t. She was reminded of the nervous feeling she usually had around him, now gone.

 

He looked peaceful. Happy. Mouth slightly open. His lashes were unfair in this light.

 

Riley smiled to herself, not ready for the day to start,  and drifted back off, scooting carefully closer to him.

 

**

 

"Marin..." she heard a whisper and thought it was a dream.

She felt a light touch on the back of her head and shifted. Another on her shoulder and she turned her body slowly into a hand grazing her hair...


"Hmmmm....?" She squinted. "Hi..." It was almost a yawn.


"Morning..." he smiled. "Get up.."

 

"Mmnnnooo...Tired" She grabbed the pillow and sunk her head into it. 

 

Justin giggled "This is morning Riley, huh..."

 

"Mmhmmm shhhh....sleep"

 

"...But I got you something..."

 

Riley groaned a little and stretched to open her eyes "Ok what..."

 

He smiled. "I dunno go look..." He nodded his head toward the nightstand where a paper bag sat. Riley gave him a suspicious look and moved to grab the bag. 

"Why does this smell like..." She looked inside and couldn't help but laugh.  "...Tacos??"

 

"I told you...Tacos later..." he winked.

 

“How are you awake?” she smiled.

 

“I was hungry…” he shrugged “That and not being able to sleep in most of the time for the last 20ish years…”

 

Riley bit her lip. Justin was starting to catch on to what that meant.

 

“You good?” he asked. 

 

“Yeah...I’m good...Are...You..” she trailed off.

 

Justin chuckled “You gonna make this awkward, Marin?”

 

“I’m in last night’s dress...barely... in your bed...holding tacos. It’s awkward Justin…” Riley giggled. 

 

“...Not from where I’m sitting…” Justin shook his head. 

 

She smiled and handed him a taco, pulling the comforter away next to her. “Get in…”

 

He happily obliged, accidentally dropping taco onto her neck as he settled in. 

 

Laughing, Riley watched as he remedied the situation by moving his lips to her to clean it up.

 

Playfully slapping at him as she smiled, she scolded “Don’t interrupt tacos. Ever…”

 

Pulling away, his grin was adorable “I’ll make note of that…”

 

Riley shifted slightly to look at him “Uhhh...So…”

 

Justin looked back at her, mid bite “Yeah..?” he mumbled.

 

“I...I don’t wanna be ‘ that girl,’ but…”

 

He smiled “...But you’re Riley and you wanna know what last night meant?”

 

She blushed and bit her lip again. “Kinda…”

 

“What do you want it to mean…?”

 

“I don’t know…”

 

“Not so professional, I guess…”

 

“Not at all,” she looked away.

 

“Look...We can say we were drunk, and forget about it or…”

 

“Or…?”

 

“I like you, Marin… a lot…”

 

She took a breath and her voice was almost a whisper. “I like you, too, Justin…”

 

Justin smiled “Sooo...We can just...go from there…”

 

Riley smiled, until realization hit “Justin, my contract…”

 

“...Can be figured out. It’s fine…”

 

“But…”

 

Leaning over to kiss her, she was convinced. 

 

“...We can go from there…” she smiled.

 

Chapter 23 by IvyVega

Two days later, Justin hummed mindlessly on his couch, beer in hand, along with the

screen playing “Across the Universe.” Riley had never seen it. 

 

Nestled against him, Riley looked up at him “Are you gonna hum to every song? Because I wouldn’t mind a private concert, instead…” she smiled. 

 

He brushed a hair out of her face and smiled. “Maybe…” He had a far away look in his eyes.

 

“What’s wrong…” Riley asked, eyes wide as she prepared to have to calm him.

 

Rubbing her arm reassuringly he sighed “Nothing...I’m just ...gonna miss you. I mean we’re finally….here...and I have to leave again.”

 

“I’ll be here when you get back, Justin...I knew your schedule from the beginning…” Riley smiled.

 

“I know…” His eyes started dancing and she could almost see an idea forming in his head “Actually...come with me?” he asked.

 

“What?” Riley questioned

 

“Come with me...next few shows…” he smiled.

 

“To...work?”

 

Justin laughed “No! Not to work...What’s wrong with you?”

 

“I...I don’t know, Justin I mean…”

 

His face got darker, playful “...I’ll make it worth it…”

 

“What about Benji…?”

 

Justin smiled “He can come...or Katie or Emi can watch him?”

 

She rolled her eyes, smirking “Fine….”

 

“Thank you,” he smiled, leaning down to kiss her. 

****

Riley smiled, laughing a little as she wiped water out of her eyes. The showerhead was beating down on her head. 

 

Justin smiled against her lips, carefully spinning her around so he was in the line of fire instead.

 

“Better?” he asked.

 

She nodded. “Yeah...but I also think neither of us is getting any cleaner.”

 

He bent down, kissing her neck “Who cares…”

 

She giggled and pushed against him… “You have to get to the venue…”

 

“I can be a little late...You’re off duty, Marin…”

 

“Not so easy to turn it off…” she breathed, buckling under his touch.

 

“Uh huh…” he continued down to her shoulder as she gripped his back.

 

She felt his hand go lower.

 

“Fuck…” she whispered, hearing his low chuckle as she closed her eyes.

 

**

Riley sat backstage, questioning her outfit choice as she waited,

 

Maybe she shouldn’t have come tonight. There was no reason for her to be there “working.” and she wondered if anyone would figure that out. She hadn’t wanted to be too obvious, but was kicking herself for going with a simple sweater instead of her go-to blazer.

 

Justin had gone to get ready for the show start, and she had busied herself with looking like she had a job to do. She had run out of ideas, and opted to take a break.

 

Looking up from a list of scheduling she had been scribbling down to distract herself, she looked at the woman who had entered the room.

 

“Oh...Riley hey...Is there water in here…?”

 

" Hey...Uh ...yeah...fridge...” she answered.

 

“Great! Thank God! “ she smiled. “Didn’t know you’d be here tonight. Are you assisting on tour now?”

 

“Y-yeah um...Ya know..After the surgery and everything...Just as a precaution.”

 

Yolanda smiled “Right….Makes sense…” 

 

Riley internally breathed a sigh of relief. “So ...How is everything going...Ya know with your music…”

 

Yolanda took a sip of water “Great! Things are moving along. The single is gonna be released soon.” She gestured around “All of this has been great experience.”

 

“That’s awesome! I’ll make sure to listen for the song…”

 

Yolanda smirked “Yeah...Make sure you do…”

 

Getting up, Riley tried to act natural. “Well, I’d better get back to work…” she moved toward the door.

 

“Rley…” Yolanda stopped her.

 

“Hmm?” 

 

“Relax…”

 

“I’m sorry?” Riley looked at her confused.

 

“I think it’s great...that you’re here with him…” she gave her a knowing look.

 

“I...Just doing my job…” Riley shrugged.

 

“Uh huh...You guys are cute…” she winked.

 

Riley stared at her, thrown off. “Um...It was good to see you, Yolanda…”

 

“You too...and I’m not gonna tell anyone…” she smiled.

 

Riley looked down, blushing… 

 

“Thank you,” she smiled.

 

**

Riley heard the roar of the crowd as the show ended, seeing Justin hurry down the hall a few minutes later. 

 

She tossed a towel at him as he passed her. 

 

“Hey..” she smiled.

 

Catching it, he wiped off his face and smiled back “Thanks, Marin…” 

 

He kept walking, on his way to shower, as Riley stood watching him and sighed.

 

They had talked about this. She knew they had to keep a low profile, but she still felt a little awkward, especially remembering their own shower earlier that day. This was going to take some getting used to.

 

Trying to shake off her hesitation, she grabbed her phone to coordinate a car back to the hotel.

**

Riley turned the page of her book, trying to focus on the words.

 

The TV was on, with Justin next to her on the bed watching it.

 

He turned to watch her. “Riley what’s wrong?

 

“Nothing…” She kept her eyes on the book.

 

“Marin…”

 

Riley sighed “It’s nothing. It’s silly. “

 

“Is it?” Justin asked.

 

“It’s just ...gonna take me a little while to get used to...lying…”

 

“Lying?”

 

“Well...Yeah...I mean, I’m not here to work, right?”

 

“Right,” he looked at her “Riley I didn’t mean to make you feel-”

 

“I know…”

 

“Well...I do have something planned....”

 

“”I’m listening…” Riley answered.

 

“A Cabin…”

 

“A Cabin,” she looked confused.

 

“Yeah,,,In Portland. Before the show. Two days. Just us. No lying…”

 

Riley smiled “How did you pull that off?”

 

“I just ...said I needed some time alone…”

 

Riley shook her head. “That easy, huh?”

 

“That easy,” he shrugged.

 

“Ok. Two days. No lying…” Riley smiled.

 

**

Justin leaned his head back, giving in to the warmth of the hot tub as he let himself relax. 

He hid it well, but the tour was doing a number on his muscles. He wasn’t exactly 21 anymore.

This felt like heaven. 

 

The sliding door opening caught his attention and he lifted his head.

 

She walked quickly toward him, a towel wrapped around her body. 

 

“It’s FREEZING,” she giggled.”

 

“So get in…” he smiled “Feels good in here…”

 

Rubbing her arms a little, she unwrapped the towel, and he caught a quick glimpse of her. 

A dark purple two-piece covered what it needed to, giving away just enough to highlight her curves. The top wrapped around her ribcage once, drawing his attention. Her hair was up in a messy bun, and he watched her shoulders as she set the towel down and slowly climbed inside the tub next to him. 

 

Feeling the cold leave her body in a slight shiver, Riley sunk further down into the water, feeling every part of her body melt. 

 

“Warmer?”

 

“Yeah,” she smiled, biting her lip. The jets had kicked up around them, and she watched tiny droplets splash against his bare chest. 

 

He grinned, pulling her closer to him as he wrapped both arms around her. 

 

She leaned in to him, a calm breath leaving her body. They sat quietly for a few minutes, enjoying the relaxation and each other’s company. 

 

Kissing her shoulder, she placed her hand on his leg, a lazy encouragement. 

 

“Why did this take so long…?” Justin spoke softly.

 

“For me to get in the hot tub? Riley asked confused. 

 

Justin laughed “No...Why did THIS...you and me...take so long…?”

 

“REALLY, Justin…” she gave him a look.

 

“I know...I know...I’m glad it did, though. I’m glad you’re here.”

 

She smiled at him “Me too…”

 

He craned his neck slightly down to kiss her, skipping soft and moving straight to desire.

She turned into him as he rested his hand just below the side of her chin, her own hands moving to his sides. Their hands roamed as the kiss got deeper, and he pulled her into his lap. 

Adjusting herself to get comfortable, she heard a low growl come from him.

 

“Don’t start something you can’t finish…”

“Who says I can’t…” she grinned, purposely grinding against him this time. 

 

She felt him respond, smiling against his lips. “Should we move this inside?”

 

Grabbing her lower back, he bit her shoulder lightly. He moved to stand, lifting her with him.

 

She gripped her arms around his neck, squeezing her legs around him tightly.

 

“Justin, “ she squeaked, her eyes going wide.

 

“I got you…” he smirked at her,  tightening his grip. 

 

They moved carefully out of the hot tub toward the sliding glass door to the cabin.

 

Riley shivered lightly as she felt remnants of the hot tub roll off of her.

 

“I’m all wet…” she giggled.

 

He chuckled, sliding the door open with his foot and carrying her inside. “That’s the idea…”

**

Riley sat on the deck, pulling a blanket more tightly around herself in the morning dew. Her coffee was going cold, but she didn’t care. It was beautiful out here. A city girl her whole life, sometimes she forgot how much she loved being out in nature. She wished they had longer than two days, but with one day left to themselves, she planned to soak in every second. 

 

As promised, there had been no lying, no holding back. They hadn’t gone anywhere very exciting, but that’s exactly what both of them needed. His life was chaotic enough, and she had been along for the ride. 

 

Riley was letting go more than she ever had with him. For his part, Justin was showing her sides of himself she had only seen glimpses of before.

 

She heard footsteps behind her and turned to see Justin joining her.

 

“You’re up early…” he smiled, his voice still waking up.

 

“Couldn’t miss this view…” She gestured out to the trees in front of her, still being woken up by the sun.

 

He rested his hands on her shoulders. “It really is something…Aren’t you cold?” he asked, noticing the cocoon she had created around herself.

 

“A little, but I don’t mind…,” she looked at him, happiness in her eyes.

 

He sat down next to her, struck by how peaceful she looked.

 

“What?” she laughed a little. “There’s more coffee if you want some…”

 

“In a minute...Riley have I told you how cute you are…?”

 

She blushed, taking a sip of her lukewarm coffee. “I think I got that hint…”

 

He smiled “It’s nice to see you like this…”

 

‘Like what?”

 

“Relaxed...Happy…”

 

She smiled “Nature is my happy place. I don’t get to see it enough…Thank you for this...”

 

“I should be thanking YOU. You’re the reason we’re here…”

 

Riley sighed, grabbing his hand. “Stop being cheesy. It’s weird,” she teased.

 

“I’m sorry things have been...complicated…” he said sincerely.

 

“I mean...I get it...It is what it is, right? I’ll get used to it.”

 

“You shouldn’t have to…” he said.

 

“But I do...I know that. I’m tougher than I look, Justin,” she smirked.

 

“You don’t have to tell me that AT ALL…” he agreed. “Any way I can convince you to come inside for breakfast?” he asked, almost innocently.

 

Riley laughed, scooting closer to kiss him softly “What am I making?” 

 

He shook his head “Nope. I’m cooking…”

 

“You can cook?” Riley gave him a look.

 

“When I want to…” he laughed.



Riley took a bite of her toast as Justin’s phone rang. Answering it, he smiled at her, excusing himself silently as he got up from the table.

 

“Uhhh yeah...Did they not-...Ok. Ok. Yeah...Yeah, I’ll call her...Thanks, Johnny…”

 

Swallowing a bite of egg, Riley looked up at him, noticing the look on his face  “Everything ok? What did Johnny want?”

 

“Um. They had to make an adjustment to the stage in San Diego,” he said. “Not enough room in the venue, I guess…”

 

“Oh. Ok. What does that mean?” Riley asked calmly.

 

“I need to get there a day earlier than planned to rehearse the space."

 

“Okaaayyy…” she questioned him.

 

“Uh...He wanted to know if you can help coordinate. He’s stuck with another client.”

 

“Oh,” she sighed “Sure…” 

 

She really wasn’t expecting to work this trip, but she WAS still his assistant, after all.

The way he was looking at her told her there was more to the story, though.

 

“Thank you... “ he had an awkward look on his face. 

 

“Wait...Why didn’t he call me directly? What aren’t you telling me, Justin…”

 

“Riley…”

 

“No lying. We said no lying…” her eyes narrowed, an idea coming into her head.

 

“...Does he know I’m here…”

 

Justin sighed. “He...knows you’re in Portland. Not here. I told him I needed you on call…” 

 

“Justin…”

 

“I was...covering. I thought it would make more sense if people saw you around…”

 

“And you couldn’t just tell me that?”

 

“I didn’t want you to think this was work. It’s not…” he explained.

 

“Did he know I was in Canada?”

 

Justin looked down “Yeah…”

 

Riley looked away, unsure of what to think. 

 

She believed him. She knew he was trying to keep them safe. The way he had looked at her the past few days and the way he had touched her, she knew he meant all of it. She also knew this was harder than she thought it would be, and a little further outside her comfort zone than she could have planned for. 

 

“Riley, I’m sorry…” he whispered.

 

“It’s..fine...I’m gonna take a shower,” she smiled weakly, kissing his cheek as she walked past him. 

 

Her heart was in her throat. Could she handle this? 

 

Chapter 24 by IvyVega


Riley hurried down the hall. Opening the door, she peaked her head in.


“Hey...They need you…”


“Now??” he asked, about to take a bite of food.


“Yeah...Show’s tomorrow so they wanna make sure everything is right in time…”


Justin looked down “Umm…”


“Justin...come on..It’ll be quick…” she urged. 


He made a face “Can you make the call?”


“I mean...I CAN...Do you trust me with that? It’s your blocking…”


He gave her a look “Marin...Do I trust you?? REALLY?”


Riley sighed “Fine. I’ll handle it.” She glanced at his plate “Don’t eat all the food. I haven’t had anything since breakfast…”


“I’ll make you a plate…” he teased.


“IDLE THREATS, JUSTIN…” she called as she walked away.




The stage edits handled, Riley walked backstage, finding Justin in the same place she had left him. She collapsed onto the couch next to him. 


“Still hungry?” He asked, nudging her with a plate.


She smiled “You actually got me food?”


“Said I would…” he shrugged. 


“Thank you.”


They sat talking while she ate, and Riley was grateful for his private room. He grabbed her hand, letting his fingers stay linked with hers.


“You look tired…” he said.


“I AM tired.” she laughed.


“Sorry you had to work…”


She shrugged “Part of the job. I just got kind of a promotion, too...Gotta make sure I stay on my boss’s good side…” she joked.


“You’re good. I’ll have a talk with him…” he grinned.


There was a knock at the door, and Justin dropped her hand, standing up.


“Uh...yeah?” he called.


Riley sighed. 


Game face, Riley. Time to hide.


**


“You sure you have to leave…?” Justin asked.


She stared at him. He wasn’t making it easy. Covered only halfway by the hotel comforter, he looked at her with bright blue eyes.


“We said a few shows…” she smiled. “Benji is probably already mad at me...and if I stay much longer…”


“Yeah...I know...You’re right…”


“Tour’s over soon... “ she reminded him.


“True.”


“Well...You know where to find me…” she smirked.


“Speed dial...My dreams….My bed?” He gave her a playful look.


“Hmmm...We’ll see” she bit her lip.


Riley wanted to stay with him. She thought she had done a pretty convincing job of being just his “assistant on call,” but if she was honest, it was draining. She needed time to herself to process it all. He was trying, but they had no choice but to switch on and off.


She knew she would still have to put on her professional hat more often than not, but maybe it would be easier after tour was over. 


**


6 Days. She hadn’t had a real conversation with him in 6 days.


They had a healthy text chain going, but she hadn’t heard his voice for longer than 5 minutes since the day after she got back to New York. 


Good Morning and/or goodnight messages. Like clockwork. Her phone had buzzed every day.


Every phone call felt rushed, though, as he continued to move from city to city.


She hated the way it was making her feel. She hated that she was thinking about it so much. 

She hated that half of those 5 minute conversations had been work related. 


This wasn’t who Riley was. A  needy...girlfriend? Was she his girlfriend? Were they even really dating?


Riley’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her door buzzer. 


No one knew about her and Justin, and it was eating at her.


That was about to change. She knew privacy was important, but she knew she could trust both of them with ANYTHING.


She hit the door button for Katie and Emi and waited at an open door as they made their way up the stairs to her apartment. They each had two bottles of wine in hand.


“Isn’t that a little much…?” Riley questioned.


“You sounded upset…” Emi smiled  “We wanted to be prepared.”


“For all situations…” Katie nodded...showing Riley the bottle of tequila in her bag.


“Nooooo tequila...Not tonight…” she shook her head. 


Katie and Emi gave each other a knowing look as they walked inside.



Settling in with their pizza, Emi was the first to ask.


‘So...What’s the emergency, Ry...What’s going on…”


Riley took a deep breath. “Um...So the thing is...I’ve sort of been seeing someone and-”


Katie quickly swallowed her sip of wine and cut her off  “Justin...right…”


Emi looked at her with wide eyes.


“Katie!” Riley stared at her.


“...Am I wrong..?” she shrugged, a smug look on her face.


Riley looked down “Not exactly…”


Katie shook her head “You really thought I wasn’t gonna figure that out? ‘New York based,” but you picked up to be with him while he is on a tour that has been arranged for months?”


Emi snorted “ You should maybe be the one working for him, Carmen San Diego…”


“Oh SHUT UP,” Katie laughed “I’ve been WAITING for details, though...Are the rumors true…?”


“I am NOT answering that,” Riley took a long sip of wine as her face flushed.


Katie and Emi laughed.


‘So then yes…’ Emi whispered.


Riley shook her head “ANYWAY...Listen...That’s not why I called you guys.” 

She sighed “It isn’t working…”


Emi frowned “What do you mean…?”


“Well..It’s not like we can be open about it...and It’s not like I am *exactly* allowed to ...date...him…Not that we’re dating...Actually...I don’t really know WHAT we’re doing…”


Katie smiled “Did you sign an NDA?!”


Riley took a second to answer. “Maybe…”


Katie looked proud of herself. Fangirl and “music biz” aficionado.


“Sooooo….It’s weird? Are you sneaking around?!” Emi asked, excitement in her voice.


Riley groaned. “Yes! It’s weird...I mean one minute…”


Katie was grinning “Go on…”


“...One minute it’s...exciting and feels like...something? The next it’s all business and formality  and….I dunno…” Riley continued.


“Ry...Look. I don’t blame you for jumping on that but-”


“KATIE!” Riley blushed and covered her face.


Katie laughed “I’m SERIOUS. You KNOW I wouldn’t say no, but...Do you like him? Like...LIKE HIM, LIKE HIM…?”


Riley bit her lip, her nose scrunching up…”I...Maybe?”


Emi smirked “OH YEAH...She’s done…”


Katie sighed “Then you can’t work for him…”


“I love my job. I am GOOD at my job...REALLY good.”


“Riley...You’re good at every job you have ever had. You won’t let yourself not be…”


“This is different…”


“YEAH...Because you are hooking up with your boss…” Katie countered.


“She’s not wrong…” Emi agreed, covering up with a sip of wine.


Riley looked down. They were right. She had been thinking about it since she’d been back, but it still wasn’t easy to hear her two best friends echo what had been ringing in her head.


“I..I don’t know if I can, I mean...I don’t want to upset him…”


“Then just be honest with him…” Emi said. “If he likes you back...He’ll get it. You would have more...freedom…”


“Maybe...Maybe not…” Riley wondered.



Three bottles of wine, and some teasing of Riley later, the three of them were laughing at everything.



“BUT really, though...OUT OF THE THREE OF US...YOUUUU are the one that got the chance...WHAT IS LIFFEEE?” Katie slurred a little.


“It’s..always the ones you DON’T expect…” Emi nodded, raising her glass.


“Can I just like...Be his friend? Can we be friends, Riley?” Katie asked.


Riley laughed “I don’t know. He has friends...I might be his friend...FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS.” She was drunk. 


“RILEY STAWP. YOU’RE YOU. He likes you..He HAS TO…’ Katie whined.


“He should...Be more...specific..” Riley complained.


“Call him now and quit…” Emi handed her her phone with a floppy arm.


Riley slapped it away “OH MYGOD NO…”


“Can I call him?”


Riley giggled “NO!” 


The shuffled playlist they had on suddenly changed songs, and all three girls stopped, laughing.


Riley’s smile gave way as she started to sing “I brag abooout yoouuu…”


Katie pointed at her, laughing “Oh you are SO screwed…” 


*****

Riley unlocked the door and made her way into the apartment, flipping on a light switch instinctually to do her normal check.


Glancing around, the hair on the back of her neck stood up seeing an empty cup on the kitchen island, and a remote control thrown on the couch. 


His cleaner never missed a spot, and definitely had never used any of his stuff before.


Grabbing her phone, prepared to make a call, she slowly moved further into the kitchen. 


Someone had clearly gotten in. She was definitely not ready to fight off anyone, but wondered if anything else was out of place. The last thing she wanted to do is call him and freak him out if it was nothing serious.


“H-hello…” she asked quietly, looking around.


“Hey Marin…” he appeared in the kitchen from around the corner.


“OH MY GOD” she grabbed her chest. “Wait...JUSTIN?!”


He smiled “Surprise?”


She racked her brain.” What happened? Why are you here? You almost gave me a heart attack!”


He moved to her to pull her into his chest, laughing lightly “Glad you survived...Wanted to see you..” he shrugged.


“Sooo ...That tour you’re on…?”


“Private plane, Riley...Day trip”


She smiled “I may have forgotten. Haven’t heard your voice in awhile, so...memory fades…”


He leaned down to kiss her quickly “My fault...Need a reminder?”


She shoved him back lightly. “How long are you here.”


“Flying to St. Louis tomorrow..”


“...So what did you have in mind?” she raised an eyebrow at him.


“..You..” 


Riley rolled her eyes, and scrolled through her phone  “Pizza or tacos?” she asked.


**

Riley let her breathing slow down as she collapsed on top of him, head on his chest.


“Worth the trip…?” she teased.


He grinned at her “Stupid question…”


Riley smiled. Scooting herself down, she moved to sit on the couch. 


“Couple more weeks…” 


“Yeah...It’s been a good run..” he sat up next to her.


Riley was quiet.


And then what? She wondered silently. Back to business as usual? Had this all been some “on the road fantasy?” Were they going to tell anyone?


“You ok?” he interrupted her thoughts.


“Yeah...I’m...Actually...No…”


Concern washed over his face “What’s wrong…”


“Forget it...Sorry. We only have a day…”


“Riley…”



She sighed. “Justin...What are we doing here?”


“What do you mean…”


“I mean..I work for you..You’re..My boss...but I’m also-”


“My Riley..” he finished.


“What does that MEAN, Justin...You flew out here for ONE DAY just to see me?”


“Yeees…” he answered, meaning hidden in his tone.


“I can’t keep sneaking around like this...I’m sorry. I like you, Justin..I really like you, but I’m not a secret…”


Justin sighed “That’s fair...What do you wanna do?”


Riley bit her lip.


“Maybe I shouldn’t work for you…”


“What? What are you saying…”


“I’m saying...I can be your assistant or….your Riley. Not both.”


“You ARE both.”


“And I can’t do it…” she shook her head “One or the other.”


His eyes were wider “Riley...You can’t…”


“Which one, Justin…”


He looked down, playing with his hands. “Both.”


“NOT both...WHICH. One?” she repeated.


“Can we talk about this later…?” he looked at her, his eyes softer, conflicted.


His damn eyes. They held an unfair power. 


She had made up her mind, but those eyes left her speechless too often.


Taking a deep breath, she leaned forward to take his lips into hers. Every minute with him counted right now.


“Fine…”


***************

Riley sat across from Johnny and Justin. She had asked to see them both, knowing they would be in the state.


It was a trek for Riley to get to Buffalo, but this was too important. They had squeezed her in early before his show.


She had told Justin it was business related, just not why. For his part, he was excited to see her. It had been about a week since his day trip, and he hoped her hesitation had blown over. Maybe they could sneak away after the show. He owed her the discussion she wanted to have, and he was finally ready to have it. He knew they could figure something out. She was too important to him.


“Good to see you, Riley...What’s going on?” Johnny asked. 


Justin was watching her carefully. She looked nervous. 


Why did she look nervous?


“You too! Um...Well...I actually wanted to do this in person, so…” She took a deep breath, pulling an envelope from her bag. 


Handing it to him, she spoke again “I’m giving notice. Something has come up that will greatly affect my performance, and ..It’s in everyone’s best interest if I move on.”


Johnny took a deep breath “I see. Is there any way this could be resolved. You’ve done an excellent job, Ms. Marin.”


Riley smiled “Thank you. No, I don’t think there is a solution here. This is the best way.”


Justin was staring at her, eyes dark. His jaw was tight.

“Are you sure, Marin…”  His voice was monotone, controlled.


Riley met his gaze “I’m sure.”


“Can you give us a minute…” Justin looked to Johnny.


Nodding, Johnny got up “I’ll be outside”


Justin glared at Riley.


“Are you REALLY doing this?” he asked. 


Riley looked down “Yes. This is...the hardest thing I have ever had to do. But it’s the right thing to do.”


“How? How is it the right thing?”


“Justin...I can’t be with you while I WORK for you. It’s not right.”


“We can make it work, Riley. I don’t trust anyone more than you.”


Riley smiled “I know. That’s exactly why. It’s messy.”


“It’s not.”


“It is, Justin. Sneaking around. Trying to figure out how to act around everyone else. Going over schedules when all I want to do is get you alone somewhere… I can’t do it anymore…”


“You mean you won’t try…”


“EXCUSE me?” her tone changed. 


“I’ve seen you handle complicated. I have SEEN you do it. Are we not worth it?”


“Don’t do that...That’s NOT what I said…”


“Sure seems like its implied…”


“I’m not...leaving you I just-”


“You’re just leaving me high and dry. Got it” he barked.


“JUSTIN...Would you just LISTEN to me?!” She screamed.


“I’M LISTENING...I’VE BEEN LISTENING...to you BAILING…” 


“I’m not BAILING...I’m doing this for-”


“For WHAT...Because it’s too hard? Since WHEN do you back down from a challenge, Marin?!’


“JUSTIN...I’m trying to make this easier-”


“EASIER? This is your idea of EASIER.”


“YES. If I quit we can stop hiding!”


“If you quit, I will never see you!” he yelled.


“Whose fault would THAT be?!”


“I’m supposed to drop everything?!”


“What the FUCK...WHEN did I say that?!” Riley countered.


“Running away...Because its EASIER...That’s who you are now? “


“Justin…” Riley warned.


“No...No I get it...You’re just gonna give up who you are…Since when do you change for anything?!”


Hearing him say those words was it. Hearing him say the same thing to her Derek had triggered her. Just as quickly as he had calmed her fears and brought her back to herself, he had torn her down again. 


“...Fuck you, Justin…” Riley said, pools filling up her eyes. 


“Riley…” Justin’s eyes went wide as he reached for her hand.


“Don’t touch me.” Riley spoke softly “I have to go…” 


Wiping her eyes quickly, she grabbed her bag and coat, heading for the door.


“RILEY...WAIT…” He brushed her arm.


“Let me go, Justin…” her eyes warned.


Pulling his hand away, he took a breath as he watched her leave.


She found Johnny in the hall, thanking him one more time as he explained her final paycheck and paperwork she would need to fill out.  As she turned to leave he stopped her.

“Riley…” he said calmly.


Turning around she answered him. “Yes?”


“You’re doing the right thing...He’ll realize that. He will…” he winked. 


Riley’s heart jumped into her throat. He knew. Of course he knew.


“I...Thank you,” she shrugged. “It doesn’t matter now, does it?”


Johnny looked down, an understanding smile on his face.


“Take care of yourself...I mean that…”

 

Riley held herself together for one more minute. “I will. Goodbye, Johnny…”

Chapter 25 by IvyVega

“SHIT!” Riley exclaimed as she lost her screwdriver for the 5th time that day.


A new desk had seemed like a productive use of her energy as she dove back into job searching. 


Actually, a new desk, some new shelves, and $200 of online shopping for new “interview clothes” had all been part of her master plan to “move on.” The actual “job search” part had been a little more slow-moving, though true to her nature, she had already applied to about 15 jobs. 


She refused to wallow, regardless of how the empty bottles of wine and pints of ice cream in her freezer might be giving her away.


She chalked the last year up to being in a weird headspace, and was ready to embrace the next chapter of her life, whatever that may be. She was actively pushing away the thoughts in her head that told her re-invention and new chapters had been a strong pattern in her life lately.


As she walked circles around the room and various bolts looking for her tool, Benji got up from a nap, revealing the missing screwdriver.


“Right...That makes sense, I guess.”


She sighed, picking it up and setting back to work. 


Her phone buzzed, lighting up with a text notification. She groaned as she looked.


Riley...Not much to say, I guess. Sorry. Can we talk?


Not very convincing. But perfectly timed. She was moving on. She was feeling stronger. She was bound and determined to be a “badass boss lady.” Or something like that. Katie had worded it better. The first week had been tears, too much takeout, and embarrassingly cheesy Netflix selections. 


It made entirely too much sense that he was reaching out NOW, now that she was ready to do something. It’s like he could sense it. 


Not a good idea. It is what it is. 


She stared at her phone for a second, her thoughts pulling her into the last time she spoke to him. The whole room had felt like it was caving in on her that day. She had been nervous enough without what he had said to her. Shaking off the memory, she set her phone down and moved back to her project.


A few minutes later, her phone buzzed again. 


I shouldn’t have said that. That’s not who you are.


Riley closed her eyes for a second before taking a deep breath and dialing.


“Marin…”


“Justin...Stop. Please.”


“I just-”


“No. You can’t do this. I need to move on.”


“We should talk…”


“About what?”


She heard him sigh through the phone “Riley it shouldn’t have ended like that.”


She was quiet before answering “You’re right..It shouldn’t have...But it did. “

She thought carefully. “I don’t regret any of it, ok? I just...It doesn’t work.”


“You don’t…” He stopped himself “I miss you.”

Riley choked back the lump in her throat “It doesn’t matter, Justin. I. I have to go..”


“Riley..”


“Justin...No.”


There was a pause. “Okay.”


Riley clicked the call off, collapsing onto her couch to let herself cry. 


**


Katie did a slow whistle as she looked around.


“Wow Ry...Wow…”


“Impressed?” Riley smiled.


“Uh..Yeah, you could say that…” Katie answered. 


It looked like a new apartment. Riley had rearranged furniture, hung new art, put up shelving, and had already stocked her newly assembled desk with office supplies. 


“I think I’m mostly done. It’s a whole new energy, right?” Riley beamed.


“In a way…” Katie knew what this was. She could read Riley like a book at this point. 

She hadn’t realized just how much she had fallen for Justin...or the job. Or both?


“Riley, what’s the plan here...Have you had any interviews, or…”


“A couple calls...I’ve applied to a lot, though…”


“What are you trying to do?”


“NOT a PA..” Riley shook her head.


“Well...That sounds...Yeah don’t do that again. But I mean, what do you WANT to do..”


Riley shrugged “Advertising again, I guess? Or events? Communications. Marketing…”


Katie stared at her best friend. She ALWAYS had a plan. This was weird.


“Do you know?”


Riley sighed “Katie..I’m tired, ok. Let me get some real interviews here and I will update you.”


Katie spotted a notebook on the desk. It was open. It had clearly been used.


“What’s that…?” she pointed at it.


Riley looked over at her desk. “My notebook? Just my schedule and application notes.”


“You schedule your job applications?”


Riley looked confused “Doesn’t everyone?”


Katie laughed “Yeah...No. What are the notes?”


“Company profile, notable work, potential mentors..Ya know normal stuff…”


Katie smirked “Normal…” Her face changed as an idea came to her.


“Riley..Could you do all that for ...someone else?”


Riley made a face at her “I’m not reliving the last year, Katie..”


“No no no...Not...Like that. You..Have a desk. Your notes have notes. You are the most organized person I know...AND you know your shit..”


“What’s your point…”


“Remember the cookie business?”


Riley laughed “Oh my God. Yes. You ate half of my inventory.”


“It was college...a lot of alcohol influenced my decisions back then…” 


“Okaayy...So what are you saying?”


Katie smiled “Riley...You could be your own boss…”


“What?”


Katie grabbed the notebook “Do this...for..artists, for events, for new companies...YOU KNOW WHAT? My cousin needs some help. He just finished his book.”


Riley gave her a weird look “Is it any good?”


Katie laughed “SEE...You immediately jumped to a relevant question. RILEY...Do what you do...on your own…”


Riley felt a smile creep across her face “You think?”


“Didn’t you say you got severance?”


“...More like a bonus, but...yeah…”


Katie gave her a knowing look. “Is it sitting in your savings account right now?”


Riley blushed “Yeah…”


Katie sat on the couch “Come on...Let’s talk business model…”


“Wait…” Riley moved quickly to her bedroom, returning a minute later with a worn notebook and tossing it at Katie “Like that?”


Katie’s eye widened “What’s this?”


Riley bit her lip “...An idea. From a long time ago…”


Katie shook her head and smiled “I knew it…”


***


Riley sat lost in her laptop, typing away at a proposal. She felt like she had no idea what she was doing, but her first “official” meeting with her first potential client had gone well. 


She was waiting on approval of her LLC license, but Katie’s cousin had seemed convinced Riley was the best person to help him promote his book. He was publishing independently, so he needed all the promotion she could muster.


She had poured through hours of research and templates to determine cost structure and had already identified potential event exposure and locations for small live readings.


Her birthday was in two days, and Katie, Emi, and her brothers had INSISTED they all go out that weekend, so she was racing against her own clock to get a plan together before then.


Her door buzzer interrupted her, and she got up to investigate. She wasn’t expecting anyone and hadn’t ordered anything.


“Um. Hello?” she called through the intercom.


“Miss Riley Marin?”


“Uh...Yes? Who is it?”


“Delivery for you, ma’am”


“Okaay…” she replied, confused as she buzzed the delivery man up. 


She cautiously opened the door to a friendly smile and a small arrangement of stargazers.


“Can you sign for these, ma’am..”


“Uh..yes..Thank you…”


“Have a great day.” The delivery man nodded before turning to leave.


“You too…” Riley replied as she took the flowers. 


“What the hell..?” she questioned as she set them on her small kitchen table.


Pulling out a card, she sighed as she read…


Happy Birthday, Marin. Part One. 

-Justin


Riley shook her head, throwing the card in the trash as she sniffed the flowers. They were beautiful...and her favorite.


Part one?! What did THAT mean?


Riley tried not to think about it, using the interruption to glance at the time. Before she could think it, Benji came prancing to her feet and jumped up onto her leg.


“Ok, buddy...I know. Walk time...Come on!”


Riley jogged along with Benji until he started to slow down. She was never quite prepared for when he had this much energy.


“Can’t you ever just walk,” she teased, slightly out of breath.”


As they entered the lobby to her building, she noticed a package by the mailbox area. It was in front of her mailbox. 


“Benji who sent us something?”


She searched for a return address and saw it. 


“You’ve GOT to be kidding me…” she complained.


Dragging the package upstairs with Benji leading, she grabbed a pair of scissors.


She was kind of annoyed. 


Opening the box, she found a handwritten card on top.


Part 2. 

Relax, Marin...I planned this awhile ago. Figured I may as well send it. 

Just some stuff that reminded me of you. 

Happy Birthday…


Riley lifted a sheet of tissue paper, finding the first item. A taco shaped stuffed animal complete with silly eyes and a smile. A tag fell from the side, and she grabbed it when she noticed writing


Houston, TX


WHAT?


She kept looking through the box and pulled out a box of chocolates with writing in a language she didn’t quite recognize. A post it had been taped on.


Hamburg, Germany


Houston. Germany. What?


She tried to think, but kept going. A T-shirt that had “Keep Portland Weird” screenprinted on it. Another post-it.


Portland. Sort of. I ordered it. 


Riley felt herself start to smile. Tour. All of this was from when he was on tour. 


There was one more thing in the box, and it was wrapped carefully. 


She opened it slowly and found a frame. It was a picture of her. Her hand was over her mouth slightly, and she was laughing. She recognized her outfit instantly.


Her last birthday. When *NSync had serenaded her. She looked completely embarrassed, but completely giddy. There was a blush in her cheeks. Who took this? When did they take this?


There was a post-it on the back of the frame. 


“The Real Riley…”


She felt the tears form in her eyes, wiping them away with the back of her hand. 

 

“Gawd damn it…” she whispered.

Chapter 26 by IvyVega

“SALUD!” Alex called as he clinked shot glasses with his little sister.


Riley knocked back hers and smiled. “I can’t believe you got to come!” she spoke loudly over the music.


Alex hugged her “It’s your birthday! Can’t stay out too late, though. The kids might kill Amy…” he laughed. 


“Plus you’re kinda old to be out late…” she teased.


“Hey hey hey...You’re catching up, young lady!” Alex joked back.


Riley was in the sweet spot, enjoying the night with Katie, Emi, Diego, Alex, and the new guy Katie was seeing. Katie’s new guy was cute, but Riley had teased her that he looked more like JC than Justin. 


The bar had a great playlist going, and the crowd was playful and fun. They were all having a great time. 


Riley had had just enough tequila to let loose, dancing with Katie and Emi, as they talked. 


“My cousin thinks you’re an angel!” Katie beamed.


“His book is REALLY good...It’s been easy…” Riley shrugged.


Katie shook her head “Not easy...You’re GOOD, Ry…”


Riley smiled “Stawwwwp…”


“You’re empty, sis...Here!” Diego joined them, handing Riley a drink.


“You are all trying to kill me..” she laughed, taking it from him.


Emi giggled, tipsy herself “We’re goin’ down with you, birthday girl!” she raised her own glass.


The song changed and Riley heard a synthesizer intro into a voice that sounded very familiar to her.


Stopping to listen more closely, Katie noticed. “You ok..?”


Riley looked at her… “Yeah...I...What is this?” she spoke up, pointing above her head to indicate the music. 


Katie laughed at her “...Riley..Really?”


Diego spoke up “It’s that new song…”


“...Wait is this…?”


“Yolanda…” Katie nodded her head. 


“I knew it! I like it!” They continued dancing as the verse continued.



That smile got me spinning, like I had too much 901...

It’s not on the schedule, but I think it could be fun...

You said to keep it on ice, but we’ve only just begun…


Katie shrieked. “Ahh! 901!...RILEY...Didn’t you say Justin worked with her?”


Riley frowned at her friend “Yeah…”


“Did he write this?”


“Um. Maybe?..”


Katie’s eyes went wide “ANOTHER SHOT OF YOU...TEQUILA… SCHEDULE...RI-LEYYYY”


“What…?”


“Oh COME ON..”


Riley laughed and rolled her eyes “KATIE...No!” 


“I’m JUST saying…” she sipped her drink.


Riley shook her head. It HAD to be a coincidence….or did it?


***


Riley smiled to herself as she left the studio. The NYC air hit her nose and she took a deep breath, realizing that this time was different. She was doing things on her terms, and for once, she held the upper hand in her own life. 


She was in final talks with her second client: a singer-songwriter who needed help with branding, promotion, and listening parties. The meeting had gone well, and all that was left to seal the deal was a couple signatures. It could still fall through, but she was hopeful. 


Hopeful. Something she hadn’t truly been in awhile.


Every other time in her life she had taken a risk, the other shoe had dropped. Her world had bottomed out from under her. She craved control. It was her safe space. 


She was learning, though, that “control” had more than one meaning, and taking chances paid off sometimes.


Climbing into the back seat of her Uber, her phone started ringing. Glancing at it, she stared in confusion.


“Hello?”


“Riley?”


“Uh...yeah...Hey..Wow. Long time...How have you been?”


“I’m good! Hope you are, as well...Listen...I’m in a tight spot…”




Riley stared at her phone after the call. What did she just do? 

She should have said no. She had so much going on, and was in such a good place. 

Curiosity had gotten the better of her, and she wondered if it would be a huge mistake.


Spotting the new contract she had just presented as she put her phone in her bag, she smiled to herself. 


A mistake...or a chance? ...Guess I’ll find out… she thought to herself


***


Justin watched the city roll by through tinted windows. He was late. 


Everything was different since she had quit.  His schedule seemed stressful again. Everything felt rushed. His new assistant had been on the job a month, so he couldn’t expect him to pick up everything right away...Not like she had.


He knew he had fucked up. He knew it was his fault she left. 


Contemporary Icon.  


He was being recognized as an Icon by the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame. Not just for his voice or his dancing, but for songwriting. For making music. For living his passion. He was humbled. He was nervous. 


His mom and his best friend would be there, but for the moment, he was alone. Just him, his bodyguard, and the driver. His new assistant had had a family emergency, and he would be meeting a last minute replacement for the day at the red carpet.


He took a deep breath as the black SUV approached the entrance to the red carpet, the sidewalk already flanked with fans and paparazzi. Hearing the screams before he even opened the door, he felt himself stiffen up a bit, unsure he even wanted to get out of the car. 


Before he could talk himself out of it, the door opened, and he thought he was dreaming. 

Was this real?


“Mr. Timberlake…” she smiled, gesturing toward the cleared path onto the curb.


His eyes went wide as he looked at her, focusing on her face instead of his own name being shouted at him from the street. 


“RILEY?!” he stared. 


“You’re late, Justin...Come on…” she smirked.


He held back a smile and hopped out of the car. 


“This way…” Riley guided him, pointing toward the red carpet a few feet away.


He stopped, swallowing as he straightened out his suit jacket and nodded at the flashes around him. His eyes looked unsure.


“You’ve got this….” she mouthed at him, smiling knowingly “Knock it off…”


A small smile found its way onto his face as he looked at her before making his way through the crowd. 


Following the red carpet, Justin met Riley at the entrance to the main ballroom. 


“What are you doing here…?” he smiled. 


“Johnny called in a favor...Sounded like he was in a bind, so…”


“Thank you…” Justin answered.


“Thank Johnny...I’m doing this for him.”


Justin nodded. Stubborn. She was so stubborn sometimes. He had no room to talk. 


He followed her into the room to his seat.


“I’ll come get you when it’s your cue...If you need anything before then…” Riley nodded.


Justin smiled “...I know how to find you…”



The evening went well, Riley staying mostly on the sidelines. It was an easy assignment. A calm night. 


Justin made the rounds around the room after his speech, mingling and networking. Lynn was beaming and Trace seemed happy once again to support his friend. 


As the event winded down, Justin found her, standing near a door, and made his way over to her.


“You look pretty official tonight…” he looked her up and down. She was dressed in a chic black pantsuit with her hair swept back. Simple diamond studs. Modest, but stylish blue heels.


“Johnny said it was a formal event. I did what I could.”


“It really works…” 


“Well...Thanks..”


He smiled.  “Riley...I’m...really sorry. What I said. I...I was  a dick....”


“Yes ...You were…”


“I can’t believe you came today…”


“It’s fine, Justin. The whole thing was just...crazy anyway, right?”


“Uh. Right.” He stared at her for a beat before speaking again “Riley...Come back? I need you.”


Riley smirked. “I’m sorry. I’m not available, Mr. Timberlake…” She reached into her bag, handing him a business card.


Marin Productions


Riley Marin

Founder and President


Justin’s mouth dropped open, his eyes dancing as he looked back up at her “What’s this…?”


“You weren’t...entirely wrong. EASY isn’t who I am.”


“Riley, this is ...Wow.”


“Don’t look so impressed. I have one client…”


“So far…” he smiled. “Can I hire you, then…?”


Riley looked down and sighed. 


“No...But...You can buy me dinner and apologize for being an ass…”


Justin grinned. “Tomorrow at 7?”


Riley smiled. “I should be free. Something expensive…”


**

Riley walked to the private room she had been directed to by the host. She took a deep breath, brushing a loose hair back behind her ear before stepping inside. 


She spotted him almost immediately, one of only 3 occupied tables.

He watched her walk over. 


He noted the effort she had put into her outfit. Black short sleeved jumpsuit. V-neck plunge in the front. Purplish pink heeled booties. Tassel earrings. Her hair was pulled back and smoothed down. She was dressed to make an impression. A lazy smile found the corners of his mouth. 


Riley sat down before he could stand up.


“Justin…” She nodded at him as a waiter came over to take her drink order. 


“I’ll have the Ardbeg single malt, please…Neat”


The waiter nodded, leaving them alone.


Justin smiled, intrigued “Since when do you drink scotch…”


Riley shrugged “You don’t know everything about me…”


He smirked “I guess not...You look nice…” Justin looked at her.


“Well...Nice place.” She was playing it cool. 


“Riley...I have no right to ask this, but...Can you stop?”


She looked up from the menu in front of her, her eyes drilling into him.


“Stop what…”


“Stop acting like this is a business meeting…”


“Isn’t it?” she replied in a cool tone. “I mean...It’s really a formality, right…”


Justin sighed “I deserve that. I do. Can you talk to me, though, please?”


Riley’s drink had arrived, and she took a sip as she considered his request. “Fine. About what?”


“...About...how you’ve been...Your new agency...How you’ve trained Benji to attack the tv any time my face appears…”


Riley cracked a smile, attempting to hide it with a sip of scotch. “ I don’t have much time for tv these days…”


Nothing got past her. Sarcasm. It was a good sign.


“Fair enough. What about how I’m an idiot? How I am going to sit here and tell you how sorry I am, but it doesn’t change anything I said or did…”


“Sounds like a good topic of conversation to me…” she smirked. 


“That’s better…” he smiled.


“I wasn’t running. I wasn’t going anywhere, Justin…”


‘I know that...and I’m not going to feed you bullshit like ‘I was afraid of losing you,’ no matter how true it is. That’s not fair…”


Riley sighed. “Good...So what ARE you going to tell me?”


“That my life is stupid without you in it…” he shrugged. 


Riley smiled into her glass. “Stupid?”


“Yeah…stupid…”


Riley shook her head. “How’s your new assistant?”


“He’s...He’ll be ok, I think. You set a pretty high standard, Marin..” He took a sip of his drink.


Riley smiled “Turn off the charm…”


“Only if you turn off the attitude…” he smiled back. 


The rest of dinner went well. The food was delicious, and they found their way back to a modified version of their usual banter. 


Making their way outside, they turned to face each other.


“Thank you for dinner, Justin...and...your apology.”


“Thank you for talking to me,” he replied. 


Riley took a breath, taking yet another chance…”Thank you for the song…” she looked at him.


Justin smiled “...You heard it?”


Confirmed. Katie was right!


“I mean...It’s all over, yeah..It’s really good. She’s really good…”


Justin nodded. “Yeah...”


There was an awkward beat, neither of them moving. 


Riley let out a frustrated breath.

 

“Geezus, Justin! Would you just kiss me already?! You’ve been staring all night…”


Justin laughed. “You really are the most frustrating woman on the planet…” he pressed his lips against hers.


“...So I’ve been told..” she mumbled against him. 


The kiss lasted a few minutes, Justin eventually pulling back.


“Come over this weekend…?” he asked.


Riley smiled, noting his discretion “Yeah...Ok…” 


His hand caught hers and squeezed as he kissed her cheek. “Get home safe, Marin…”


**

3 Months later


‘I’m coming…” Riley huffed. “Hold on…”



She was answered with barking. 


“Hey! You’ve been running your whole life, dude...You’re a dog…” she teased Benji.


She caught up and bent over to place her hands on her knees. She hated running. She didn’t know why she had agreed to this. Benji had done just fine with walks his whole life.


She looked down to see Benji spinning circles, excitedly pouncing on a leaf, tugging at his leash to keep going. Maybe she was wrong…


“Let’s go, Riley...He’s the boss…” 


“I have smaller legs than you! This is unfair!” she pouted.


“Take the leash...He’ll help you…”


‘He’s trying to kill me …” she laughed.


She was answered with a laugh back “You aren’t dying...come on…”


Riley stood up and caught something in the distance out of the corner of her eye.


“We have company…” she nodded her head. “Here...Give me the leash...We can take that other path…There’s more trees”



He smiled, staring at the camera in the distance “No…”


Guiding Benji along with him, he leaned into her.


“Justin...What are you doing…” she smiled.


“Not hiding anymore…” he smirked as he kissed her. 


Riley laughed. “Show off…”


He grinned as he pulled away slowly “...Is that a bad thing?”


“Not at all…” Riley smiled.

 

                                            THE END.


EPILOGUE by IvyVega

Katie and Emi made their way into the bar.


Katie took a deep breath and Emi noted her face, giggling.


“You’ve talked to him before...He’s TOUCHED you.”


“That was different..We are MEETING him...for REAL.”


“And he is with our best friend. We should probably get used to it…” Emi reminded her.


“GOD He’s hott…” Katie whispered as they got closer.


“STOP it…” Emi held back her laughter.


“HEY!” Riley hopped off a barstool and hugged them both.


Justin smiled behind her. “Hello..”


“Hi!” Emi grinned, probably bigger than Riley had ever seen her smile. “I’m Emi..” she extended her hand and Justin took it.


“Nice to meet you...Justin.”


Emi chuckled “Um...yeah…”


Katie was staring at him. 


“Katie…” Riley called to her.


“...Is she..Are you ok…” Justin turned to Riley and then to Katie.


Katie swallowed the knot in her throat. 


“Sorry...Uh...Hi..K-Katie..” she held her hand out. 


Justin shook it. “Hi Katie…,” he smiled.


They ordered drinks, Katie eventually calming down. Riley’s friends were surprised how easy it was to talk to him, especially after a couple rounds. 


“So...Riley tells me you two trained her?”


“For what?” Katie asked, confused. 


He grinned “To work for me...a...cram session, was it?”


Emi hid her face in her hands “OH MY GOD…” she laughed. 


Katie’s eyes were wide “Uhhhh…”


“To answer your question….Yes...I still have the ‘Rehab’  jacket…” he winked at Katie. 


Katie glared at Riley, her face beet red as her embarrassment turned into a fit of giggles. 


“You. are. DEAD…” 





End Notes:

THANK YOU for reading!

 

I have had SO MUCH FUN writing this. Feedback is welcome.

 

This was my first fic EVER, and I am so honored so many of you have checked it out! <3

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2996