That Girl by addy0316
Past Featured StorySummary:

Annie and Justin have been best friends since kindergarten, even though their lives have gone in different directions, they've still remained best friends. But when a magazine article is published, explaining the inspiration of some of his songs, Annie is thrown in a whirlwind with one of her oldest friends. 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 24787 Read: 3097 Published: Jan 17, 2020 Updated: May 19, 2022
Story Notes:

This was published before, however, it was deleted with the I think when a server or the site crash, so I'm posting it again, as I keep getting more ideas for it. 

So for my story visuals (character pics, house plans, etc), I've put together a little "scrapbook" of photos and character information, all thanks to Canva (which is a really cool program!) Below is the link and you'll have to copy and paste it in your address bar: 

https://www.canva.com/design/DAE6ZNum7PA/fVeIB9Z9NkNEM1XcZEq5Zg/view?website#4:that-girl-scrapbook-aka-story-graphics

And then it has a menu in the upper right hand corner, or you can just scroll down and see everything :) I'm stilll playing around with the program, so I don't know if it'll automatically update when I do add anything... but I thought this was cleaner than Pinterest and let me add info about the characters :) 

1. Chapter 1 by addy0316

2. Chapter 2 by addy0316

3. Chapter 3 by addy0316

4. Chapter 4 by addy0316

5. Chapter 5 by addy0316

6. Chapter 6 by addy0316

7. Chapter 7 by addy0316

8. Chapter 8 by addy0316

9. Chapter 9 by addy0316

10. Chapter 10 by addy0316

11. Chapter 11 by addy0316

12. Chapter 12 by addy0316

13. Chapter 13 by addy0316

14. Chapter 14 by addy0316

15. Chapter 15 by addy0316

Chapter 1 by addy0316

Chapter 1
Summer 1992
It was a hot humid day in this southern town, when a boy and a girl sat on the curb in front of Brown’s General Store with their ice cream, waiting for their other friend to come join them.
Then out of the blue, the boy kissed the girl, granted it was just an innocent kiss, but enough to put a little smile on both their faces. It happened just in time, right before their friend came to join them.
Just as they finished their ice cream, the girl’s dad was calling her name from his hardware store down the street. She said good-bye to her 2 best friends and ran towards the store.
---
"Atkinson! Atkinson!" someone was yelling. "Annie!"

Annie was snapped out of her little flashback when one of her co-workers kicked her to get her attention, ‘I really need to go back to the maiden name, for gods sake, the divorce was final 6 months ago." She thought as she acknowledged her boss. "Yes, Richard?"

"I asked, if you were done with the plans for Mr. Vanderhorn.""They’ll be done by tonight, just got some small little details I want to work on, but that’s it."

"Can we take a look at them?""Yeah, they’re in my office, so let me go grab them," she said standing up and heading to her office.

As she grabbed the plans from her desk, she noticed a text message from one of her oldest friends, Trace, popping on her screen. "You going tonight?"

"Nope," she simply responded, tossing the phone back on her desk, and heading back to the conference room.

After the meeting ended, Annie made her way back to the office with her plans and notes in hand.

When she walked in, her text message alert was blowing up. She looked down and noticed they were from him, asking if she was coming tonight and if so tickets were being held at will call for her. She didn’t respond, and went straight to making the changes to the plans, trying to beat the deadline she set for herself.

Later that day, her boss, Richard popped into her office.

"You going to the Ryman tonight?" he asked

"Nope"

"Didn’t you and Justin Timberlake grow up in the same town?"

"Yeah…. Soooo?" Annie asked eyeing her boss"Don’t you want to see a hometown boy play at the Ryman?"

Annie sighed. "Not really. Plus, I have other plans for tonight," She said going back to her work.

"Well have fun then, and don’t stay here too late," Richard smiled before leaving for the night.

Annie was looking forward to her night in by herself. Scott, her boyfriend, was at his monthly poker night with the boys, so it was something she was looking forward to all week. She only hoped nothing was going to ruin it.

When she got down to the parking garage, she noticed a car blocking her own car. Upon closer inspection, she rolled her eyes, as she knew who it was. She walked up to the driver’s window and knocked until the window rolled down.

"Excuse me ladies, but you’re being dicks and blocking me in," Annie smiled

"Not when we’re here to kidnap you," said the woman in the passenger seat.

"Nope, not going," Annie, said, throwing her stuff into the backseat of her own car.

"Then we’re not moving," the driver said

"Lucy! I said I’m not going!"

"Oh come on! Jason is bartending the event and got us tickets!" the passenger said. "Plus, we know you two grew up together and are best friends, so we’re just thinking it would be a nice little gesture to go."

Annie sighed and leaned up against the back of her car. "Molly, I’m on deadline!"

"You’re always on deadline! Come on live a little!" said Molly, who was in the passengers seat.

"I’m not going to win this am I?"

"Nope," smiled Lucy from the driver’s seat. "So get in!"

Opening the back seat door, Annie climbed in. "You know I’m still in my work clothes right?"

Molly looked back at her and smiled, "Oh, you look fine!"

Annie pulled out her cell phone to text Scott.

Help! Molly and Lucy kidnapped me from work and I don’t wanna go *sad face emoji* cause I know we’re going to the Ryman *crying face emoji*

Then placed the phone back in her bag.

Whey they arrived at the Ryman Auditorium, they pulled up to valet parking, and Lucy handed her keys to the valet boy and turned to her friends handing them their tickets.

"Alright let’s go!" she said before heading up the stairs to the entrance.

"You guys are buying my drinks all night if you want me to stay," Annie said as the usher scanned her ticket.

"Sounds good, we get free drinks anyway," Molly smiled as they headed up to the VIP bar.

Before Annie was able to take the first step, a girl about 10 years younger than her came up to her.

"Excuse me, but are you ‘That Girl’?"

Annie looked at her and just smiled, "Sorry no."

"Oh, okay, you just look similar to her," the girl said. "Thanks anyway." She added before heading back to join her group of giggling friends.

When Annie looked to join her own friends, they had already disappeared upstairs to the bar. Sighing, she was going to need some good hard drinks to get through tonight. As she was taking the stairs up to the bar, she would hear whispers around her saying that she was the girl from Justin’s song "That Girl".

When she got to the bar, she found her friends and Molly’s husband, Jason bartending; she took a seat next to them.

"Double Pendleton with diet Annie?" Jason asked, offering one of her go-to drinks.

"Make it a triple Pendleton with very little diet," Annie smiled.

"So did you let him know you were coming?" Lucy asked, just as Jason handed Annie her drink.

"Nope, since I wasn’t coming anyway," Annie replied as another girl came up to her to ask if she was, "That Girl." "And, what’s up with people asking or looking my way asking if I’m ‘That Girl?’ I’m not ‘That Girl,’ never was and never will be," Annie mumbled taking a longer drink.

"Well if it isn’t Annie ‘Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire’ Sullivan," Annie heard behind her, she started to bang her head on the bar top.

"Hi Trace," she replied not moving, as he took a seat next to her.

"I thought you weren’t coming tonight?"

"I wasn’t until Lucy and Molly blocked my car in at work," Annie said raising her head to look at him

"So you weren’t the one to pick up your tickets at will call?" Trace asked as Jason put a drink in front of him.

Annie looked at him, "Uhhhh… nope"

"Well someone picked up your tickets, cause he had me come find you once he heard from the ticket office that you picked them up."

"Well what name did he put them under?"

"Atkinson probably, since he probably still doesn’t know about the divorce," Trace said, just as Annie started laughing.

Both Molly and Lucy looked at their friend like she was crazy.

"Well you know what that means," Annie laughed.

"Uh noo," Trace replied

Annie threw her hands down on the bar. "It means Brad is here, and most likely using MY tickets to impress his flavor of the week!" Annie said talking about her ex-husband, then putting her head in her hands. "Oh God"

Trace just patted her on the back as she gulped the rest of her drink down, but then started laughing again.

"So when Justin looks in the direction of those seats, he’s going to realize it’s not me with Brad. Oh this is going to be fun!"

"So I was right, and you still haven’t told him about the divorce?" Trace asked as Jason placed another drink in front of Annie. "Wait- are you drinking your Pendleton and diet?"

"Yeah so?"

"Come on Girl! You’re from Tennessee!"

Annie rolled her eyes. "No, I haven’t told him about the divorce as I haven’t seen him in over a year, and it’s something I didn’t want to tell him via text, but I’m sure he’s already heard something about it through the grapevine." Giving the stare down to Trace.

"I haven’t told him anything, that’s your place not mine, scout’s honor!" Trace said, holding his hand up like a scout, while Annie just looked at him like he was crazy.

"I’m serious! I haven’t told him," Trace once again defended then changed the subject, "So what were you going to do tonight instead?"

"Well Scott’s at his monthly poker game, and I’m on deadline at work, so I was looking forward to just relaxing and doing some work from home tonight, but noooo it didn’t happen," Annie said. "And why do people keep whispering and looking at me like I have 2 heads?"

Trace knew the answer, but decided to ignore her, turning to Molly and Lucy.

"Hey, can I steal Annie from you two for a little bit?"

Lucy smiled, "Sure."

"You were supposed to say No!" Annie mumbled, smacking Lucy on the arm.

"Thanks ladies," Trace said grabbing Annie’s hand and dragging her away from the bar

"Trace! Let go, I know how to walk"

"I know, and I also know how fast you can run," Trace smiled.

"I also know I can still beat you up," Annie smiled back as they made their way down the stairs, only to pass Brad and whoever his date was at the moment. Luckily, Brad wasn’t paying attention and didn’t notice Annie or Trace rush by.

"Bastard," Annie mumbled under her breath.

"Did you just call me a bastard?" Trace asked as he stopped them

"No, just saw someone, but you know if the shoe fits," Annie smiled

"Let’s go dork," Trace smiled as they continued down a hallway until they approached a big burly gentleman.

Trace flashed his pass, motioning to Annie. "She’s with me," he said before heading down the hallway again.

"Hi Annie," the burly guy said.

"Hi Joe!" Annie shouted back while smiling at Trace.

"Wipe that smirk off your face. Oh and the reason why everyone is thinking that you’re ‘That Girl’ is because J said in an interview for a magazine, that you were the inspiration for the song," Trace said as he opened the door to the dressing room.

Before Annie could comprehend what Trace just said, she took a deep breath and following Trace through the door.

Then before she knew it, she heard him shout, "Oh thank the lord! Annie is alive! Annie is alive!" and before she realized it, he had her in a big bear hug.

"Hi Justin," she mumbled allowing herself to take in the hug.

That’s when it dawned on her what Trace said before they entered the dressing room, so she started hitting Justin.

"Why did you say I was the inspiration for ‘That Girl’ you jerk?" Annie mumbled as she continued to hit him.

"Why are you hitting me and what did you say with your adorable angry mumbling?" Justin asked as he grabbed her wrist to stop her from hitting him.

Then she started to kick him, "I said, why did you say in an interview that I was the girl behind ‘That Girl’?"

Justin then stood on her feet to stop the kicking, "Because it’s the truth!"

"Why couldn’t I be the inspiration for ‘Drink You Away?" Annie sneered while trying to get her feet free.

"Trace get her legs," Justin smiled.

"Trace, you come near me, and I’ll kick you so hard that you won’t be able to have any more kids," Annie warned while staring Justin down.

Before she knew it, Trace grabbed her legs, and she was being thrown on to the couch that was in the room. "I hate you guys!" Annie pouted.

"No you don’t," Trace smiled, just as Annie rolled her eyes.

"First thing, your name wasn’t brought up! I just said it was ‘loosely’ based on a childhood friend that’s all! They were the ones that found the picture."

"Wait! There’s a picture?" Annie questioned raising an eyebrow.

"Hey, where’s Brad?" Justin asked attempting to change the subject.

She looked at Trace, who in turn gave her the ‘better tell him’ look.

"At the bar most likely," Annie smiled, as Trace just stood there shaking his head. She technically wasn’t lying; Brad was here and was most likely at the bar or at least near it.

"So why haven’t we talked in about a year?"

"We’ve talked!" Annie defended.

"Yeah all via text message, I’m talking about in person and on the phone."

"Hey where’s Jess? Does she know about the article?" Annie asked as Justin moved her feet so he could sit on the couch.

"She’s flying in 2 days, and yes she does know," said Justin.

"Great, another reason she doesn’t like me," Annie said.

Justin ignored the comment and went back to the unanswered question, "So why have you been ignoring my actual phone calls?"

"Cause I’ve been on deadline at work for what seems to be an eternity and they just keep coming," Annie said. "In fact, I’m on deadline tonight, hence why I wasn’t going to come."

"And you expect me to believe that? Come on Annie, I know you better than you think," Justin said as Annie sat up and let Trace sit on the other side.

"It’s the truth! I have a deadline at 7:30 tomorrow morning," Annie defended as she stood up.

"Well besides deadlines something else has to be going on, since it seems like you’re ignoring me lately."

"I’m not ignoring you J, but the last year has been quite shitty and maybe I don’t want to talk about it or didn’t want to talk about it!"

"Okay," Justin said looking at Trace, who just shrugged. "But I wanna know what’s going on with one of my best friends and just not in one word text responses."

"You wanna know what’s been going on? I’ll tell you. Let’s see, I got passed up for a few promotions at work. So I’m still doing the work of a partner but with 5% of the credit. Oh and while that was all going on, finding Brad in our bed with a girl from his office!" Annie spewed off. "Well technically it was Trace that found them, but still, that’s how my year has been going. So, sorry if I wasn’t in the mood to come tonight, and with that I’m going to go say goodbye to Molly and Lucy and head home. I have an early morning tomorrow." And with that Annie was out the door, but popped her head back in.

"Oh and that wasn’t me who picked up the tickets at Will Call. Brad’s here with whoever his fuck of the week is- just a heads up."

She shut the door again and headed back to the VIP area to say her goodbyes.

Meanwhile, Justin was going to go after her when Trace pulled him back down on the couch.

"Don’t. You know better." Trace said, as Justin put his head in his hands in pissed off frustration.

Annie soon made it back to the bar. "Shot of Wild Turkey now Jason."

Jason placed the shot in front of her; she took it and then looked around.

"Where’s Mol and Luce?"

"They went to their seats."

"Good, I’m heading home."

"Things went that great with Justin huh?"

Annie stood up from the bar stool, "Bye Jason." Then headed to the exit, where luck was on her side and the line of taxis were still there from dropping people off.

She got into the first one in the line. "Fifth and Union," she said.

The driver nodded and not even 5 minutes later he pulled up to the Annie’s work building.

She paid the driver and made her way to her car in the buildings parking garage, only to notice that it was only 8:30 at night. She decided at that moment, that instead of coming in super early the next morning, she could get what she needed to get done now, and just sleep on the couch in her office. This wouldn’t be the first time, and Annie knew it wouldn’t be the last time she would sleep on the couch when she was on a deadline. She grabbed her stuff from her car, and headed up to her office.

On the elevator ride, she sent a quick text to Scott:

Hope you’re having fun and Jamie hasn’t taken all your money! Escaped the Ryman, and heading back to work to get everything done before my 7:30 meeting, so I’ll see you tomorrow *kiss emoji*

She then stuck the phone into her back pocket. By the time, Annie got to her office; she was just plain exhausted as this defiantly wasn’t the relaxed night she had originally planned.

Annie plopped down on the couch; she needed to regain her energy and her thoughts before getting into her work.

Her text message alert went off bringing her back to the real world. Scott had texted her back:

I’m glad you escaped! And no, your brother hasn’t taken my money, but that doesn’t mean I’ve not taken all of his *big grin emoji* Have a good night sweets and I’ll see you tomorrow *kiss emoji*

Annie smiled at the messaged, and then tossed her phone on to the coffee table in front of her.

As she was working on the additional changes Mr. Vanderhorn wanted done to his home plans, Annie’s mind was going back and forth regarding the interview Justin did and trying to figure out what photo the magazine found of the two of them.

Shaking the ‘tennis match’ out of her head, she went back to work.

It was just after midnight, when Annie finished up with all the details Mr. Vanderhorn had requested, she sighed when she saw the clock. Rubbing her face, she laid down on the couch in attempt to get at least a couple hours of sleep.

She grabbed her phone off the coffee table and decided to try and shut her brain off by searching for this article that was mentioned earlier that night. Ignoring multiple text messages she has received through the night, she opened the Internet browser app and with a quick Google search of his name and ‘That Girl,’ it was an easy find. Annie clicked on the link, and scrolled down until she found the picture. She recognized it from Justin’s Instagram, and of course taking a look at the credit of the photo would verify that for her. It was a photo taken a few years ago, in which he posted to say Happy Birthday to her. It wasn’t a bad picture that’s for sure, in fact it was one of her favorites of the two of them.

Her mind was still going a million miles an hour as she closed the browser app. Closing her eyes she hoped that it would slow down, because if not, she’s going to be in a shitty mood tomorrow.

"Hey Annie… Annie…," she heard someone whisper. At first she though it was part of her dream, until she heard it again, ‘Annie… time to wake up. I got you coffee just in time for your meeting…"

Annie opened her eyes and noticed a blurry Scott sitting on the coffee table holding a Starbucks and a breakfast sandwich in his hand. "Well good morning sunshine."

"Hi- what time is it?"

"6:30," said Scott as he handed her the coffee. "I figured you had a rough night, so I thought I would bring you breakfast."

"Thank you," Annie smiled taking in the aroma of the Skinny White Mocha in her hands.

"You’re welcome," Scott smiled taking a seat next to Annie on the couch. "How was last night?"

"Well I got all the changes Vanderhorn had requested done."

"That’s good. How was the Ryman?"

"I don’t want to talk about it," Annie said, resting her head on Scott’s shoulder.

"That good huh?" Scott laughed as Annie rolled her eyes.

"If that’s what you wanna call it. I guess in an interview he did, he said I was the inspiration behind ‘That Girl’ and the magazine has a photo of us also!"

Scott looked down at his girlfriend, "Well, you two have been best friends since, what, kindergarten. Was it a bad article?"

"I don’t know I didn’t read it, I just scrolled until I saw the photo"

"Was it a bad photo?"

"No, it's one of my favorites of us," Annie sighed. "But, he said before that he wrote the song after watching ‘Guess Whose Coming to Dinner,’ so, I don’t know, oh and that he didn’t mention my name just said it was a based on a friend from childhood or something like that."

"Well I wouldn’t worry about it," Scott smiled and kissed her on the top of her head.

"Thanks," Annie smiled as Scott stood up.

"You’re going to do great at your meeting, but I have to get to work, we have a teacher’s meeting this morning."

"Fine, go," Annie smiled taking a sip of her coffee.

Kissing her again, Scott started walking out of her office, but then remembered something. "Dinner at Trace’s tonight?"

"Yeah."

"I’ll see you after work at your place"

"Sounds good. Love you!"

"Love you too," Scott smiled, shutting the office door behind him.

The meeting with Mr. Vanderhorn went without a hitch, and no more changes needed to be done, so it was out of Annie’s hands for now, which was a big weight off her shoulders.

End Notes:

Please leave a review, and let me know what you want to see happen in the story, I can always use ideas. 

Chapter 2 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

Short and Sweet

Chapter 2:

Annie walked into Trace’s house with Scott behind her. Two little girls soon greeted her.

"Annie!" one shouted as both girls tackled her to the ground in the foyer.

"It’s some of my favorite little people!" Annie smiled.

"Hi Annie," the littlest one said.

"Hi Bella."

"Uncle Justy is here Annie," the oldest one said as she at on Annie’s stomach.

"Really Emmy?" Annie asked, sounding surprised as Emmy nodded ‘yes’ wildly in response.

"Emmy! Bella! Get off of Annie!," their mom, Samantha, yelled as she walked into the foyer.

The two little girls giggled as they crawled off of Annie, and ran away.

"Thanks Sammie!" Annie said, as she continued to lie on the floor. "I’m getting too old for this- I need help up and of course Scott has already left me behind."

Samantha laughed at Annie as she helped her up from the ground. "Yeah, he’s in the kitchen grabbing a beer. You want one?"

"Yes, please," Annie said as she followed Samantha into the kitchen.

As Samantha grabbed a beer from the fridge, Annie took a seat at the kitchen island. She noticed that Scott was chatting with Trace, and took a sigh of relief when she didn’t see Justin around.

Samantha was watching Annie and smiled, but decided not to bring the subject up.

"So how’s work?" Samantha asked, taking a seat next to Annie.

"Fine, one deadline down, and another on the way. So same old, same old," Annie smiled taking a sip of her beer.

"And what about things with Scott?"

"Good," Annie smirked as Bella climbed into her lap just as she looked over and saw Scott laughing at whatever Trace had said.

"Trace mentioned that you saw Brad last night."

Annie rolled her eyes, just as Bella was wiggling to get down, so Annie placed her on the ground.

"Uncle Justy!" she shouted running towards the living room.

Annie thanked the heavens for sending Justin in at that moment so she didn’t have to talk about seeing Brad the night before, but also cursed the heavens because Justin was there.

Scott came over and put his arms around Annie from behind. "You going to be okay?"

She nodded ‘yes’ in response while chugging the rest of her beer down as quickly as she possible. "Can you get me another one?"

Scott smiled and kissed her on the top of her head, "Sure."

Scott was grabbing a few more beers from the fridge for Annie and him, just as Justin walked into the kitchen with Bella and Emmy on his legs.

"Alright ladies, your ride has come to an end, so please exit to the living room," Justin said as the little girls got off his legs and ran into the living room. "Hey Annie- didn’t know you were coming."

"Funny- Trace didn’t mention you coming either," Annie smirked taking the beer from Scott’s hand. "Thanks babe. Oh Justin, you remember Scott Wyatt right?"
Justin just looked at the man trying to rack his brain trying to remember where he should know Scott from.

Annie rolled her eyes. "He’s Jamie’s best friend," she said.

"Oh okay, yeah!" Justin nodded with Annie shaking her head.

"Nice to see you again," Justin said trying to break up the awkwardness in the room.

"You too," Scott said, as he wrapped an arm around Annie.

While Samantha was getting the girls settled down with a movie in the living room. Trace joined Justin, Annie, and Scott in the kitchen, and noticed the weird vibe happening in the room.

"J- come help me with the BBQ," Trace said trying to ease the tension going on.

"Yeah okay," Justin replied taking a sip of his beer and headed out to the deck.
Annie mouthed, "Thank You," to Trace, as he just smiled closing the sliding glass door behind him.

When Justin knew the door was shut, he slammed his beer down on the patio table.

"Really? Scott Wyatt?" Justin asked Trace. "Of all the people, Scott Wyatt?"

"Ah ha! So you do remember Scott!" Trace laughed as he started the BBQ.

"Of course! Jamie and him were non-stop trouble when we were kids," Justin said sitting in one of the patio chairs. "Why didn’t you tell me?"

"Because it’s not my place! Just like I didn’t tell you about her divorce. Plus, why do you even care? You’ve got Jessica, who happens to be flying in tomorrow."

"But really Scott Wyatt?" Justin questioned making a disgusted face.

Trace started laughing at his friend. "That was the same kind of reaction you had when you met Brad for the first time."

"Exactly and apparently look how well that worked out," Justin smirked as Trace shook his head, just as Scott came out to join them.

"Sammie, I don’t know what I’m going to do," Annie sighed.

"What are you talking about?"

"This whole ‘That Girl’ article, he even says that Jess knows about it."

"I don’t think you should worry about it, and as for Jessica, well that’s a whole nother story between you two, but she’s known about you and J, when she first got involved with him, so she’ll have to deal with it. Like I do," Samantha said smiling at Annie.

Annie returned the smile. "Thanks Sammie. But, I can probably guarantee you if we could get away with murder, I’m the first one on her list," she said as Samantha started laughing while pouring herself a glass of wine. "It’s true Sammie! Stop laughing!"

"I’m sorry Annie, but that’s the dumbest thing ever!"

"Oh just watch! Tomorrow at J’s show- the dirty looks are going to fly. I’ll bet you $50 on it."

"Alright, deal," said Samantha as she shook Annie’s hand.

"So Scott how’s the world of little people academia?" asked Trace.

"Little people academia?" Justin questioned.

"I teach second grade. It’s going," Scott replied.

Justin decided to stop beating around the bush, and asked Scott the question he’s wanted to ask since Annie and Scott arrived.

"Scott, how did you and Annie get together?"

"Just reconnected at Jamie’s birthday get together this last year," Scott said.

"She was going through the finalization of her divorce and I just got out of a long term relationship, so we had that in common and just talked for the rest of the night, and that’s really it."

Justin took another long drag of his beer as he listened to Scott, and then just looked at him trying to figure out what Annie saw in the guy.

Chapter 3 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

2 chapters posted in one night... what?! 

Chapter 3:

The next morning Annie was checking her email in her office checking when the front desk called.

"This is Annie," she answered.

"Annie- you have a visitor."

"I don’t want any visitors Becky, and I know I have no appointments this morning," Annie whined over the phone.

"Sorry hun, I tried to stop him, but he’s already on his way to your office."

Annie groaned into the phone, "Thanks Becky."

"No problem," Becky said as both people hung up the phone.

Just as Annie hung up her phone, someone barged into her office.

"Good Morning!" Justin announced.

"Why are you here? Go away!" Annie mumbled.

"Well it’s good to see you too! I have a few hours until Jess’s flight gets in, sooo I was hoping to take you to brunch. I’ll even pay," Justin smiled, taking a seat in a chair across from Annie’s desk.

"And what would you do if I said no?" Annie asked.

"Then I’ll just chill here until the flight gets in," Justin smirked leaning back in the chair, and putting his feet on Annie’s desk.

"Boy! Get your feet off my desk!" Annie said, pushing his feet off her desk.

"So you’ll go to brunch with me?"

"I have meetings this morning J, so no"

"No you don’t. I overheard you tell the front desk person that you had no appointments this morning."

Annie slightly cursed the heavens at that moment, "I’m not getting out of this huh?"

Justin just smiled back at her. "Nope! So, let’s go!"

"Fine! I’ll go to brunch with you since you said you’d pay. I just need to stop by the newsstand on the way," Annie said grabbing her bag, this would be the perfect time to ask about the article.

"Okay," Justin said, grabbing Annie by the shoulder and walking out of her office together.

Annie knew she was going to have to answer questions from some of her co-workers when she got back. Sure, they’ve had their fair share of celebrities come in to the firm, but none of them were this close to the employees, well that she knew of. In the back of her head, she was thinking that she should take the rest of the day off.

As they were making their way outside, Annie stopped by the newsstand to grab something.

"Thanks Tony," Annie said as she put what she got in her bag and met up with Justin.

"So what’d you get?" Justin asked.

"Just a little something," Annie said, as they walked down the street.

"You know, I was hoping you’d be in a better mood this morning, especially if you got laid last night," Justin smiled.

Annie stopped in her tracks.

"I knew this was a bad idea," she said turning around to head back to work.

Justin looked and noticed Annie wasn’t next to him. "Oh come on! I was just kidding."

"I’m going back to work J"

"No, you’re not. Your coming with me," Justin said, grabbing her arm and pulling Annie in his direction.

"Errrr!" she grumbled.

When they got to the restaurant, they were seated in a booth, and quickly placed their orders.

"Okay, so why exactly are we here?" Annie asked taking in the smell of her coffee.

"To have breakfast, and for me to kill time before going to the airport," Justin smirked as Annie just looked at him.

"I know that smirk, and something tells me that I’m here for something other than breakfast."

"Can’t I just take my best friend out to breakfast?"

"Only when you normally want something or have been drunk or…" Annie continued.

"Fine- I got your point, but I do have a question for you."

"As do I – so here’s the deal, you get to ask one, and then I get to ask one? Deal?" Annie asked just as their food arrived.

"Deal, but I go first."

"Fine."

"Fine."

"Go."

"Why Scott Wyatt? Is he that good in bed?"

Annie threw one of her biscuits hard at Justin, who just caught it in return and started eating it.

"Really going for the jugular huh?" Annie said, as she pretended to stab herself in the jugular. "Well I know for sure is that he’s better than you!"

Justin rolled his eyes as Annie smirked at him, and then grabbed his chest. "Oh that one hurt."

"Oh did I bruise your ego there?"

Justin sat up a little more, a little hurt by her comment but he quickly shook it off. "Nope not at all, but in all seriousness what’s the story with you and Scott?"

"We just started talking at Jamie’s birthday get together, and he was coming out of a bad breakup, and I was going through the divorce and so it just happened," Annie shrugged. "So there’s the answer to both questions. Now it’s my turn."

"Okay, shoot," said Justin, stuffing a piece of toast in his mouth.

Annie started digging in her bag, "Hold your tighty whities! Oh found it!"

Annie pulled out the magazine she bought earlier, and found the page she was looking for and shoved it in Justin’s face.

"Why? Why? Why?"

Justin grabbed the magazine from Annie.

"First off, that’s 3 questions, and at least they found a decent picture. You should probably be thankful that they didn’t find your junior year photo with the broken nose," Justin laughed.

"Yeah, the broken nose you caused- cause that would have been soooo much better," Annie rolled her eyes, and leaned back in the booth. "Just answer the question Timberlake."

"Fine. They were asking who/what was the inspiration for ‘That Girl’ and I told them I wrote it after watching ‘Guess Whose Coming to Dinner’ and how the movie kinda reminded me of a girl from my childhood, and that she was also part of the inspiration. That’s it! It’s not like I mentioned your name or anything."

Annie just rolled her eyes. "Well they didn’t need a name, since they kinda figured it out anyway, cause there’s a fucking picture. Plus we weren’t anywhere close or similar to ‘Guess Whose Coming to Dinner.’"

"Well, we kinda were in a sense."

Annie just gave him a weird look. "What do you mean? The movie was about a black doctor who is engaged to a white woman, and they to meet her parents. How is that anything like us?"

"Not in the race sense but…"

"Oh you mean in the money sense? Like how you grew up in the wealthy part of town and I grew up in the poor part of town?"

"Yeah kinda in that way."

Annie started throwing creamer cups at him, "You’re fucking insane!"

"Stop it!" Justin said catching a few creamers that were thrown his way. "So there’s your answer, I just can’t answer the photo question, but it looks like it’s from Instagram. So does this mean it’s back to my being turn to ask a question?"

"Yeah, I guess," Annie sighed. "But I still have questions about this." She said pointing to the article.

"And you can ask those questions when it’s your turn," Justin smirked at her, while she just glared at him having some kind of idea what his next question would be.

"So what exactly happened between you and Brad? And how come Trace knew about it, but you couldn’t tell me."

Annie fell back in the booth, "Well Mr. Timberlake, that is actually 2 questions."

"So that just makes us even for the 3 questions you just asked. So what happened?"

Annie took a sip of her coffee. "I don’t want to talk about it," she mumbled.

"Annie, I’m sorry, but you have to trust me, you have since kindergarten," Justin said turning on the charm he knows that’ll get her to talk.

Thankfully, the server came over to fill both coffee cups, giving Annie a little more time to think about how she was going to approach the question, but she might as well give the most honest answer instead of trying to come up with an answer that he would see through.

"He was cheating for the last year," Annie said.

"Oh Annie- I’m sorry."

"It is, what it is," Annie shrugged.

"So what’s this about Trace finding him in bed with someone or something?"

"Yeah well… you know when I flew out to LA the day before Trace, when you doing the finishing touches for ‘Can’t Stop the Feeling?’ cause Brad was also flying out of town for a conference in Gainsville, and I just decided to leave at the same day as him, so we can go to the airport together, even though my flight was about an hour prior to his, but he had to run back to his office for something before my flight took off?"

"Yeah."

"Well I had left something at the house, and since I know Brad wasn’t home cause he had gone back to his office, I had Trace swing by and grab what I had forgotten, so he could bring it with him, and that’s when Trace found Brad in our bed with some graduate assistant girl from the athletic office. So there you go, like I said it is what it is," Annie shrugged.

"Oh, I’m sorry Annie. I wish you would have told me, so I could have punched him for you, but as you know I never really like the guy."

Annie leaned back admiring her best friend.

"Yeah I know you and Trace didn’t like him, but to be honest, I should have seen it coming."

"What do you mean?"

"Well with the late nights at work for the both of us, and the extended "conference" weekends that he was having, we’ve just been on the fritz for a little while that’s all," Annie said, taking a bite of what was left of her breakfast. "So a few weeks after I got back from LA, I filed for divorce, and it was finalized about 6 months ago. So there you go."

"So if I see him on the streets I could beat him up?" Justin asked a little too eagerly.

"Sure, I’m not going to stop you. Although he might show up at the show tonight- so you can probably have Joe kick him out."

"So then I should put your stuff under Sullivan?"

"Yeah, cause if you put it under Atkinson, then he’ll probably get to the tickets before I even get to the venue."

"Sounds good"

"Although… It might be fun to watch him try and get the tickets that are usually on hold and see him get denied in front of his date. Hmmm maybe I should leave early from work today."

Justin just looked at Annie and shook his head.

"Oh, can you put a note on the envelope saying that my drivers license still has Atkinson on it?"

"You haven’t changed your last name back?"

"I haven’t had fucking time, plus it expires next year, so why get a new one now?"

"True."

Then the server dropped the check off, as Justin grabbed his wallet to pay.

"Hey, why don’t you come with me to meet Jess at the airport?"

Annie started laughing, "Yeah, no thank you."

"Oh come on! Why not?"

"Because I have to get back to work, and she’s not the biggest fan of me."

"She likes you."

"No she doesn’t! Do you ever wonder why I wasn’t at your wedding?"

"Wait, you weren’t there? Because I know for sure I made sure that you were on the list, even my mom made sure you were on the list."

"Yeah nope. Got no invite. Your mom called after she got back and asked where I was and I told her that I didn’t get an invite. So I guess she went snooping around your place, and found my invitation in the back of some desk drawer, hoping to never be found. Plus, it wasn’t like I could afford to go anyway."

"We would have paid for you to come, and was my mom sure it was your invite?"

"Yeah, it had Brad and my name on it with our address. Plus, you know I would have never let you guys pay for me to go."

"Hmmm, I’ll have to talk to Jessica about it, and yeah I know you wouldn’t have let us pay for you cause you’re stubborn and always will be. Considering you were too stubborn to even join me on tour during your breaks at school."

"That wasn’t stubbornness, that was the need to work to cover the expenses that the softball scholarship from Michigan wouldn’t cover. So I spent my summers working on Mackinac Island during college, so there. That’s not being stubborn, that’s just helping my family out financially."

"Oh, you have your stubborn ways, even if you don’t know about it. Like I keep saying, I know you better than you think," he smirked, getting up from the booth, "Come on, let’s get you back to work," and heading towards the door.

"Fine I guess," Annie sighed, as she stood up grabbing her bag and went to go catch up with Justin.

As they were walking back to Annie’s office, she came up with an idea for that night’s concert.

"How easy is it to change your set list?"

Justin stopped in his tracks and looked at her.

"I mean, like the day of can you add a song?"

"Annie- it’s my show, I can change things on the spot if I want, granted Johnny and the crew probably won’t like it, but I could do it," he said, seeing the smirk on her face. "Wait, I know that look… what are you thinking?"

"Can you add ‘The Thunder Rolls’ and leave tickets at will call for Brad?"

"Sure," he slowly said, as they arrived at her office building.

"Thank You!" she said, kissing him on the cheek before heading towards the building. "I’ll text you later with what I’m thinking."

"Okay."

"Oh and the whole ‘That Girl’ conversation isn’t finished either!"

"Uh huh… Annie go to work, and I’ll see you tonight!"

Annie smiled at him, and this time it was an actual genuine smile. "Thanks Justy! Love ya!"

"Love ya too!" he said, waving as she disappeared among the crowd of people making their way into the building.

Chapter 4 by addy0316

Chapter 4:

After work, Annie decided to meet up with Samantha and Trace to get drinks before the show, and to pass the time before Scott joined them, after his parent/teacher conferences.

"I hope you have my $50 Sammie," Annie smirked at her friends, as their beers were delivered.

"Actually, Trace has it," Samantha laughed knowing that Trace wasn’t paying attention to them, but instead to some sporting event on one of the TVs that was in the bar.

"Oh, well might as well up it to $100," Annie laughed.

"Fine, by me… it’s not my money," Samantha laughed along.

Trace returned his attention back to the laughing girls that he was with.

"What are you two laughing about?"

"Nothing babe," Samantha said patting him on the shoulder.

"So Justin said you two had breakfast this morning," Trace said taking a sip of his beer.

"Yeah, he was waiting for Jessica’s flight, so he stopped by the office and wouldn’t leave until I agreed to go to brunch with him. Plus, he paid- so that was the seal to the deal, but it wasn’t actually that bad."

Trace put his hand on Annie’s forehead, "Are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah of course," Annie rolled her eyes swatting Trace’s hand away. "I mean there were a few biscuits and creamers that didn’t survive, but it went fine."

"What did you guys talk about?" Samantha asked

"Just about things that needed to be talked about."

"Like…"

"Like- he wanted to know about Brad and I, so I told him the story, and then I got some answers about the article that talked about ‘That Girl.’

‘That’s it?"

"In a nutshell- yeah," Annie said playing with the top of her beer glass. "Oh, and he asked if I wanted to come with him to pick up Jess at the airport?"

"What did you say to that?"

"I just started laughing, and told him that Jess isn’t a big fan of me and then I asked if he ever knew why I wasn’t at their wedding."

"Did you tell him what Miss Lynn told you about what she found?"

"Yeah, and he actually looked shocked about what I said, but whatever"

"So should Trace just give you the $100 now then?"

"Huh? What about $100?" Trace asked, once again not really paying attention to the girls.

"No I don’t wanna give away the pleasure of you seeing the dirty looks through the night," Annie smiled, just as Scott arrived at their table.

"Hey babe," Scott smiled giving Annie a quick peck on the lips.

"Hi!" Annie smiled as Scott took a seat at the table, and quickly joining Trace in their own little boys world.

"Oh, but I asked if he would do a favor at tonight’s show," Annie said with a huge smile on her face.

"What do you mean favor?"

"Yeah, what do you mean favor?" Scott asked, quickly changing his attention back to Annie.

"He’s just going to add a song to his playlist. That’s it, nothing too exciting."

"What song is he adding?" Trace asked looking suspiciously at her.

"’The Thunder Rolls,’" Annie shrugged.

"What are you up too Annie Grace," Trace was concerned about this one, even using her middle name.

"Well we all know Brad is going to weasel his way in- well Justin and I made it a little easier and that’s the song that will be dedicated to him. Let’s just say that you’ll understand what I’m talking about at the show, and I’m just going to leave it at that."

"So you and Justin are all right then? Samantha asked.

Annie slowly nodded, "Yeah, but I’m still pissed at him about the article."

"As you have every right to be."

By this time Scott and Trace went back to their own side conversation.

A little while later, the four of them made their way over to Bridgestone Arena and proceeded to the will call window to get their passes.

"Last name and photo ID please," the older lady at the ticket window said.

Annie handed over her ID, "Sullivan."

The lady looked at her ID and then back at Annie, "But your ID said Atkinson."

"Yeah, I know- there should be a note on the envelope explaining the reason why it says Atkinson."

"Oh, I see it now, and there’s also instructions saying that before I had over the passes you have to repeat a secret phrase," the lady said looking at her quite confused.

Annie at that moment got a text from Justin with what she had to say and mumbled, "I’m going to kill him."

"You’re holding up the line miss, what’s the phrase?" the lady said.

"Yeah, I’m not saying it, so I’m just going to show you what I’m supposed to say on my phone," Annie said passing her phone through the slot in the window.

"That works, I guess," the lady said returning Annie’s phone along with an envelope.

"Thanks," Annie smiled, leaving the ticket window and going to return to the group.

"What took so long?" Trace asked.

"Just Justin trying to put one over on me, but I outsmarted him," she said going through the envelope and handing Scott his pass, just as she heard her text message alert go off.

"Annie- I know this is late notice, but we scheduled a new client meeting in the morning at 8am. See you there" – the text from her boss, Richard, said.

As soon as she was about to put her phone back in her back jean pocket, her text message alert went off again. "Richard stop it," she mumbled taking another look at her messages.

This time it was from Justin, "You suck- I know you didn’t say the phrase. Anyway Jessica wants to talk to you, so come down to the dressing room."

"Errr," she mumbled.

"So, what’s the plan now?" Samantha asked.

"Well I know you and I are going to see J, but what about you two?" Trace asked looking at Annie and Scott.

"Well looks like we’re going with you because Justin just texted me and said Jessica wants to talk to me," Annie shrugged.

"Why?" Samantha asked as Annie just shrugged in response again, as they made their way back to where to load-in garage area was.

"Hey Frank," Trace smiled to one of the security guards.

"Hey Trace," Frank said, as the group passed him.

As they made their way down the hall towards the dressing room, they saw Jessica talking to one of the tour crewmembers.

"Hey speak of the devil," Trace smiled.

Jessica looked over in their direction and waved, she then finished up her current conversation and headed their way.

Annie took a heavy sigh as Scott squeezed her hand in support.

"Hey Guys!" Jessica smiled giving Trace a hug.

"Hi Jess," Trace said.

"I’m so glad you guys are here, so J is in the dressing room so go see him, cause I need to steal Annie away for a little bit," Jessica said connecting elbows with Annie.

Annie’s eyes got wide at the gesture; she didn’t know what was going on. She looked at Trace for help, but all he did was stifle his laugh, which in return made Annie give him the dirty look.

"So Annie and I will catch up to you in a little bit okay," Jessica said dragging Annie away from the group.

"If I don’t return in 30 minutes call the police!" Annie shouted behind her.

"Oh Annie, you’re so funny," Jessica laughed as they went into the room where the catering was being set up.

Jessica looked around the room to make sure it was just she and Annie.

"So what’s up?" Annie asked trying to cut the tension in the room.

"We need to talk…"

"Yeah I got that, so what do you want to talk about?"

"You and Justin"

Annie started laughing, "Me and Justin?"

Jessica just stared at Annie not amused that she was laughing at this quite serious matter.

Annie saw Jessica just looking at her and stopped laughing, "So what about me and Justin?"

"I want you two to stop hanging out together," Jessica said crossing her arms over her chest.

Annie copied her, "Not going to happen. Wait! Hold on! Does this have anything to do about the article? Because I didn’t find out about it until a few days ago."

Jessica rolled her eyes, "I just think that you being here is a distraction for him, and he doesn’t need that."

"Me? A Distraction? Really? You’re kidding right?"

"I think it’s better for him if you’re no longer around."

"Better for him, or better for you? Just 2 days ago, I saw him for the first time in almost a year, and then it was him who came to my office and offered to go to brunch, so I’m just thinking that you think that I’m a threat and that it’s better for you that I shouldn’t be friends for Justin anymore," Annie said as Jessica shifted in her seat. "Sorry Jessica, you might have kept me from your wedding, but there’s no way you’re keeping me from one of my best friends- someone whose been there for me from the first day of kindergarten. Justin and I have been through more shit together that you can't even imagine. So, if you want to break up a 30 plus year friendship- go ahead but you’re going to be the one to tell Justy."

And with that Annie got up from her seat and headed back to the dressing rooms, where the rest of the group was, and leaving Jessica by herself.

As soon as Annie walked into the room, she blurted, "Justin- your wife is a bitch."

Everyone in the room looked at her.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh- I just had the loveliest conversation with her, and I think it would be best for her to tell you what we talked about. She’s down at catering if you wanna go see her," Annie smirked, taking a seat between Trace and Scott.

Justin looked at her and then left to go see what Jessica was up to.

"So what happened?" Samantha asked.

"Oh, she told me that I needed to stop hanging out with Justin because I’m being a "distraction" to him," Annie said leaning onto Scott.

"Wait? You’re the distraction?"

"I guess," she shrugged. "I’m read to head to the bar after that encounter."

Scott stood up, and held out his hand to help Annie stand up.

"We'll see you guys out there," Scott said, making his way to the door with Annie behind him.

Before Annie closed the door she said, "Oh and if Justin really wants to know what Jessica and I talked about, cause I’m sure she’s going to make it my fault. I have it recorded on my phone, so if he wants to hear it- just let him know, okay."

"Will do- see you two in little bit," Trace smiled as the dressing room door closed.

Bridgestone Arena was slowly filing up with people as Annie and Scott made their way to the VIP bar area and lucky for Annie, Jason was one of the bartenders for the event.

"Hey you two!" he said as he poured Annie her drink. "What can I get you Scott?"

"Just a beer- doesn’t matter," Scott smiled.

"So where’s Molly?" Annie asked.

"She’s working tonight," Jason replied handing Scott his beer.

"And Lucy is out of town," Annie nodded.

"Yep."

That’s when Annie’s text alert went off.

What did you say to Jess? She was crying when I found her.

Annie just replied with an eyeroll emoji and then wrote: I didn’t say anything to her- and was her crying more sniffling and then big loud cries because my dear friend that is what is called a ‘fake cry.’

Then Justin quickly replied: We’ll talk about it later

Uh huh – Annie replied just as Trace and Samantha joined them.

"Did she really pull the fake cry and fake tears shit?" Annie questioned Trace.

"It’s great to see you too Annie! I would love a drink!" Trace jokingly responded. "Yep, she did and as soon as J went to hair and makeup- those tears dried up faster than a lake in Southern Cali.

Annie shook her head at what Trace just said, and decided to let it go for the night, as this was neither the time nor the place to get into with Jessica.

Throughout the concert, Justin did an amazing job as he usually does and every time Annie was always amazed by his performance, even though she’s seen him perform countless of times.

Justin made it to the little stage in the back of the arena, while at the same time, Trace was making sure Annie was right next to the stage for Justin’s plan.

"Trace- what are you doing?" Annie shouted.

"Justin has something for you," he shouted back.

"Yeah, I know but I want to enjoy it over at the table with everyone else."

"Well, he planned for more…"

"What, are you…"

But before Annie could finish her question, she was being pulled up the stairs to the stage.

"What are you doing?" she mouthed to Justin.

He just rolled her eyes in response, if Jessica hated Annie now, this just might be the tipping point for the murder of Annie by Jessica.

"So Annie- how long have we known each other?"

Then someone handed Annie a microphone. "Um… since kindergarten."

"And earlier today, you asked me to do a favor for you."

"Yeah, but it wasn’t this…"

"But you wanted to add a certain song to the playlist to be sung for a certain person."

Annie just looked at him.

"And what song was that and who was it for?"

"The "Thunder Rolls" in honor of my not-so-lovely ex-husband Brad.

"That’s when a spotlight lit Brad and his date, also showing them on the video screens.

Brad had two beers in his hands, and his date was yelling at him for some reason, plus it was almost obvious that Brad was way past his drinking limit. Then someone who was sitting behind him, mentioned that he was on the video screen.

"Say Hi Brad!" Justin said. "And this next song is dedicated to you from Annie, but I’m not the one that’s going to sing it. Ladies and Gentleman… Mr. Garth Brooks!" The roars of the audience just explode and Justin was giving the "We’re not worthy" move.

One of the camera operators just stayed on Brad, who was staring at the stage very confused as his date just kept yelling or talking to him and wasn’t paying attention to what really was going on.

Annie just stood there speechless.

"So as Justin said- this song is dedicated to Mr. Brad Atkinson from your ex-wife Annie."

Just as Garth Brooks started the song, Annie headed off the stage. Her mind in a fog, cause she still can’t comprehend what just happened.

Instead of watching Garth perform, Annie watched Brad the entire time and by the end of the song, his date had thrown one of his beers on him and then walked out. You could tell by the look on his face that he was embarrassed and pissed off.

"You okay?" Scott whispered in Annie’s ear, so she could hear him over the music, and putting the hand on the small of her back.

Annie just nodded, taking his hand and turning it into a hug and then a kiss.

Scott smiled breaking the kiss.

"Thank You," Annie whispered.

"Why are you thanking me?"

"Just thank you for dealing with me and all my baggage and shit."

"We’ve all got baggage babe, but tonight I think you just got rid of one of the bags," Scott smiled.

Annie smiled back, and pulled Scotts head down to kiss him once more. "I love you."
"I love you too."

Chapter 5 by addy0316

Chapter 5:

Later that night, heavy pounding on her front door woke up Annie.

At first, she thought it was part of her dream- so she just lay there, until it happened again, and this time the pounding was also yelling her name.

"Annie! Annie!" the pounding yelled.

Sighing, Annie knew that voice, she threw the cover back and released Scott’s arm from her waist, only to have him re-grab her and pull her closer to him.

"Scott, let go," Annie said just as he rolled onto his back.

"Annie! Annie! I need to talk to you," the pounding said with even more pounding.

"What’s going on?" Scott asked not opening his eyes.

"One of my bags just returned," she said pulling on some boxer shorts and a t-shirt that was on the bench at the end of the bed.

"Do you need help?"

"No- I got it, just go back to..." but before Annie was able to finish the sentence, Scott was already back snoring away.

Shaking her head, she grabbed her phone, and headed downstairs and to the front door.

"Ann…" the pounding yelled just as she opened the door.

"Hi Brad," she said leaning against the door jam.

"We need to talk."

"No, we don’t. Plus, you’re going to wake up the entire neighborhood," Annie said stepping on to the porch and closing the front door behind her.

"Why’d you embaresses me tonight at the concerts?" Brad asked slurring his words.

"I didn’t embarrass you- you did it yourself and you’re still drunk. How’d you get here?"

"I drive."

Annie saw Brad’s truck halfway on the sidewalk and halfway onto her yard.

"I’m calling Jamie to come get you."

"Don’t call Jamie. I’m perfectly fine, now why’d you embarrass me tonight?"

"Brad, I’m calling Jamie. You’re still drunk, and like I keep saying you embarrassed yourself," she said calling her brother.

Brad’s buzz was starting to wear off as he took a seat on the porch steps, while Annie talked to her brother.

"Uh huh… okay… whatever.. I’ll see you in 10 minutes."

After Annie hung up with Jamie, she took a seat next to Brad. "He’ll be here in 10 minutes to take you back to your place."

"Okay," Brad mumbled with his head in his hands, then looked over at Annie and noticed her outfit.

"Sorry to have waken you up."

"Ehhh, it’s okay. I have an early morning meeting anyway.

"I’m sorry."

"It’s okay."

"Annie…"

"Hmmm.." she replied, wishing Jamie could be there already, because she didn’t like the way this conversation was going, no matter which direction it was heading.

"Do you ever think about what it would be like if we didn’t get a divorce?" Brad asked leaning his head on her shoulder.

"Sometimes, but it’s all in hindsight now," she said, not flinching when his head hit her shoulder, in fact she kinda missed it.

"What about if you hadn’t miscarried those 2 times, do you think we would have still gotten a divorce?"

"Brad," Annie signed tightly closing her eyes. "I don’t know, I can’t say for sure if the miscarriages never happened that we would still be married. I would like to think that it would have never happened, but I don’t know if you would have cheated still and we would still have gotten a divorce."

"I’m sorry Annie, for all the pain I’ve caused you."

Annie wiped the tears that were threatening to fall from her eyes.

"A person as wonderful as you defiantly doesn’t deserve a jerk like me. I’m so sorry Annie."

At that moment, Jamie came rolling up in his patrol car and Annie couldn’t’ have been more relieved.

"Awww, look how cute you two look," Jamie teased his little sister and his ex-brother-in-law.

Annie rolled her eyes, as Brad stood up.

"Just get him home, I would have sent him in his own vehicle, but by his parking job decided not to," Annie said as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Okay, but what are you doing to do about his truck?"

"Probably have a tow truck come and get it in the morning," Annie said rubbing her eyes, hoping Jamie didn’t see the possible tears coming. However, he was her brother, and she knew he would notice.

"You okay?" Jamie asked looking at Annie.

"Yeah," Annie choked out, "Everything’s fine, but I have a meeting in the morning, so I should get back to bed."

Jamie just looked at her not believing her, but knew not to push the issue this late at night. "Alright, well text or call me tomorrow, k?"

Annie just nodded as Jamie hugged her and kissed her on the cheek.

"I love you little sister," he whispered before heading to his patrol car.

As soon, as they drove away, Annie headed back into the house. She closed the front door behind her, and leaned against it, wanting to burst out crying, but nothing came out, even with all the weird emotions she was having his week, but she wasn’t quite sure if it was from that or the pure exhaustion she was feeling.

She made her way back upstairs and to the bedroom, where she crawled back into bed with her back to Scott. He once again grabbed her by the waist and pulled her close.

"Everything okay?"

Annie just nodded ‘yes’ in reply, because if she opened her mouth, she was afraid of what could come out.

Chapter 6 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

It's Short and Sweet chapter I thought I would post while I'm stuck at home and bored to death at the moment 

Chapter 6:

Fall 1997

Everyone, who was anyone, at Millington High School was over at the student body president, Oliver Gaylord’s house celebrating the football team’s win over the cross town rivals.

Justin was in back home for the weekend from being in Europe with *NSYNC, and was hoping to spend some time with his two best friends, but as soon as the football game was over, Annie seemed to have disappeared.

He was looking around the house for her, when a blonde girl handed him a red Solo cup.

"You know Justin, we’ve missed you around here," the blonde said trying her best to flirt with him.

"I missed you guys too Charlotte," Justin said while looking around and not even paying attention to Charlotte.

"You know I’m now the head cheerleader. Maybe, I can show you some moves later."

"Hmmm- sounds good," Justin downed his beer, and walked away from Charlotte.

As he weaved through the crowded house, he found Trace, who was making out in the corner with some random girl.

"Trace, have you seen Annie?"

Trace just ignored his friend waving him off.

"Trace!" Justin yelled again over the bass of the music. Annoyed, he rolled his eyes and quickly turned around. But, if he were making out with some random girl in the corner, he would have probably ignored everyone around him also.

As he turned around, he bumped into a girl about 5 feet tall.

"Sorry, Sadie."

"It’s okay, who are you looking for?" the girl asked.

"Just Annie, have you seen her?" Justin was hoping Sadie would know where Annie was, as she’s been a friend of theirs since 2nd grade and Annie’s closest girl-friend, so hopefully she would have an answer for him.

"Um, she mentioned something about Steve Jensen and her going down to the lake or something."

"Perfect! Thanks Sadie!" Justin said hugging Sadie, heading back to Trace to grab the keys to his truck.

"Trace- give me your keys," Justin said holding out his hand. This time the girl was sucking on Trace’s neck.

"Huh? What?" Trace asked in his drunken state.

"GIVE ME YOUR KEYS," Justin said keeping his hand out.

"Why?"

"I just have an errand I have to run. I’ll be back shortly," Justin said just as Trace handed over his keys with his usual eye roll.

As Justin was making his way down to the lake, where all the teenagers went to hook up, Annie and Steve Jensen, the senior star quarterback, were starting to get pretty heavy as the windows were starting to fog up.

Then Annie started to feel Steven’s hand go up her shirt.

"Woah, there Steve, flag on the play," Annie said removing Steven’s hand.

"Oh, come on Annie, what’s the matter?"

"Uh, your hand, that’s the matter"

"But, I thought you liked it Annie," Steve said going back and kissing her, while moving his hand up Annie’s shirt and to her bra.

While Steve was trying to get into Annie’s pants, Annie was digging around for her keys, and her eyes got wide when she found what she was looking for. Next thing Steve knew, his eyes were severely burning.

"WHAT THE FUCK?" Steve screamed rubbing his eyes.

"When I say No! I mean No!" Annie screamed getting out of the car and slamming the door.

"You’re a fucking prude Sullivan!"

"Yeah well go fuck yourself," Annie screamed through the tears, turning to start walking home.

As Justin was driving on the dirt road to the lake, he noticed someone walking in the opposite direction. After realizing who it was, he did a U-turn and slowed down next to the person.

The person looked over and rolled their eyes when they noticed who was driving the car.

"Justin- go away."

"Annie- what happened? Why are you walking from the lake in the dark?"

"I don’t want to talk about it. Just go back to the party," Annie whined wiping the tears from her cheek.

"I’m not going to leave you to walk back in the dark. Now get in the car and tell me what happened."

Annie stopped in her tracks. "I’m not getting in the car and I don’t want to talk about it! How hard is that to understand?"

Annie walked away from the car, but Justin was still driving slowly next to her.

"Fine, I get that you don’t want to talk, but I’m not going to let you walk home in the dark. I’ll just drive slowly next to you."

"Whatever," Annie mumbled as she continued to walk home with Justin next to her.

---

"Annie! Annie- your new client meeting started about 5 minutes ago," Brandon, one of co-workers said shaking Annie awake from her short nap on her desk. It’s already been one hell of a morning, and now she has a stupid meeting to go to.

"Ugh- thanks Brandon," she mumbled grabbing her notebook and pen, following Brandon out of her office.

She entered the conference room not knowing who the new clients were, and not even paying attention.

"So nice of you to join us Annie," her boss said as she took a seat.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. It’s been a really weird, odd morning- so I’m sorry," she said looking down at her notebook.

"Well since no introductions need to be made, let’s get started."

"What do you…" Annie asked wondering why no introductions needed to be made, then looking across from her and saw Justin and Jessica sitting there.

"Oh…"

"Rise and Shine Annie," Justin smirked as Annie just glared at him.

"What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be in Kentucky or Ohio or something?"

"We’re leaving this afternoon since the shows aren’t till tomorrow, but Jess and I are here because we have some news and were hoping you could help us…"

"Okay," Annie dragged out.

"We’re moving to Franklin and want you to plan the house."

"You know this really isn’t news, since you have property next to Trace," Annie pointed out.

"True…"

"So what are you wanting, bedrooms, baths, living space wise? Possible completion date?"

About an hour and a half later, the beginning details of the house planning stages were started, and as Jessica and Justin were leaving the office, Justin took Annie into a hug.

"Thank you Annie Bananie for doing this. You’re the only person, I know who has the talent to get it right.

"You’re welcome Justy and thank you," Annie said hugging him tight, trying to ignore the butterflies in her stomach. She then pulled away, "You know if Jess ever wants to talk and get lunch or anything- she has my number, she could call or text."

"I know- I just think she’s just moody, cause we just found out that she’s pregnant"

"Ahhh yay, that's awesome!" Annie gushed, as that’s the only thing that came to mind. "Well you guys better get going or you’re going to be late, and I’ll just text you later."

"Sounds good! Love you Annie!" Justin said hugging her again.

"Love you too," Annie smiled before breaking the hug.

"Alright bye," Justin smiled, waving as he walked out the door.

"Bye," Annie waved back before turning to head back to her office, only to run straight into Brandon.

"You still like him don’t you?" Brandon smiled.

Annie rolled her eyes, "I’m not talking about it Brandon," walking past him and back into her office.

She fell on to her couch. Who the hell was she kidding? Of course she still liked him, and she didn’t know what to do.

As she lay on her couch, a text from Molly came through.

"Spin tonight?"

"Yes- please" Annie responded.

"Good- cause you and I need to talk"

"Yeah I know. "

As the day dragged on, Annie knew she needed to get out of town for the weekend, especially if she was designing Justin and Jessica’s house, that required multiple pages of request Jessica required to be part of the plans. She picked up her phone and dialed the number of the person she knew that would have a couch for her to sleep.

"What up Chicken Butt?" the voice on the other end greeted Annie.

"Is your couch available for the weekend?"

"Why?"

"Cause I need to get out of Nashville for the weekend."

"Why? Is the Brad and Justin drama causing you to go insane?"

"How did you…."

"Jamie"

"Dammit- can’t keep his fucking mouth shut. So do you have a couch for me or not Connor?"

"You know I’ll always have a couch for you, you never have to ask."

"I know, but I just wanted to make sure, and then I can work somewhat on this latest project. So I’ll probably take tomorrow and Monday off, and head over tomorrow morning."

"Sounds good- call me before you leave."

"I will- thanks Connor! I love yooooouuu"

"I love you too! Anything for my Chicken Butt."

"Bye Connor"

"Bye Annie"

As Annie hung up her phone, she had a sigh of relief, she couldn’t wait to leave town now, and in the spur of that moment she knew she needed to skip spin class and get out of town now.

She sent a quick text to Molly, letting her know she was not going to class tonight, and quickly got her work things in order so things would be okay while she was gone for the weekend. Her boss would understand since this would be sort of a working weekend anyway, since Justin and Jessica wanted a basic plan done by Monday, for a follow up meeting on Tuesday.

She also decided that her phone should be turned off all weekend, this is a good time to unplug. If anyone wanted to get a hold of her, they could call Connor or her family’s hardware store.

She set her voicemail and email away message with the phone number to the hardware store and to the house landline, so that in emergency situations they can get a hold of her. She then did the same for any incoming text messages. After that was done, she packed up her stuff and headed to her boss’ office.

"Hey Richard- I’m going to head out for an early weekend back in Millington. So I won’t be available by phone or email, just need to unplug after this week, and thought it would be a good chance to get started on this project."

"Totally understandable Annie, go enjoy your weekend, and I’ll see you Tuesday for that meeting."

"Of course, which is going to be a teleconference right?"

"Yep- just email the plans to Justin and Jessica and we’ll go from there."

"Sound good," Annie smiled. "Thanks Richard- have a good weekend."

She then quickly texted Connor- "Change of plans, going home to grab stuff and then leaving Nashville - see you later *tongue out emoji*

Annie also sent a quick text to Scott, saying that she was heading back home for the weekend, and she would call him later.

Around 4 hours later, Annie pulled up to her childhood home, well now it was her oldest brothers house, but it’s been in the family since the early 20th century. Sure it was small, and only had 3 bedrooms (well 4 if you count the office/den) and 1 bathroom, but she loved it. She loved the idea that it came from a Sears type catalog and only cost $1,000 at the time, which today it would be around $23,000. This is the house that made Annie want to go into architecture. This was home.

She smiled, grabbed her stuff, and headed up the stairs to the front door, and instead of knocking, she just walked right in, because why not?

"Hello! Anyone home?" she shouted throwing her stuff on the couch.

That’s when her sister-in-law, Carly, poked her head out from the kitchen with the phone attached to her ear. She smiled and waved at Annie, who made her way into the kitchen and sat down at the kitchen table watching Carly.

"If you see her behavior change in the next 8-12 hours, then give me a call back Mrs. Johnson, but right now we’re in the early stages okay… yeah sounds good… you have a good night Mrs. Johnson… I will… okay… bye Mrs. Johnson," Carly rolled her eyes as she placed the phone back on the hook.

"Hi Annie."

"Hi Carly… so what’s up with Mrs. Johnson"

"Oh her swine is acting up and started labor, but she has another 24 hours before anything major happens," Carly said as she sat down at the table. "So what’s up with you?"

"Just needed to get our of Nashville for the weekend, that’s all," Annie shrugged, she didn’t want to get into details just yet about the last few days, even though Carly probably already knows what went on.

"So this has nothing to do with Brad or Justin?" Carly smirked.

Annie started to bang her head on the table, "Jamie and Connor need to keep their stupid mouths shut sometimes."

"It’ll be okay," Carly laughed.

Annie gave Carly the ‘please shut up’ look

"I’m sorry Annie"

"It’s okay- so where is everyone?"

"Well Connor and Clare are at Finn’s basketball game and your dad went to the Grizzlies game because Justin is letting his dad use his box tonight, so he went along.

"So he won’t be back until late."

"I think so, or they’re staying Downtown, I don’t remember what he said, but we are having Spaghetti for dinner."

"Sounds good"

"So how’s work going?"

"It’s going, just finished a project and now starting a new project, so it’s just non-stop like usual"

"This new project- is it for anyone famous?"

Thankfully for Annie, the front door opened and her niece and nephew came running in with Annie’s oldest brother, Connor, behind them.

"Auntie Annie! Auntie Annie!" 3-year-old Clare shouted running towards the kitchen.

"Hi Clare!" Annie smiled as Clare climbed on to her lap. "And how are you?"

"Good!"

"Clare- go wash up for dinner," Connor said.

Clare sighed climbing down from Annie’s lap. "Alright, I guess"

"I’m here all weekend, so I’m not going anywhere just yet," Annie smiled.

Clare perked up, and then ran up to the bathroom to wash up.

"So how was the drive?" Connor asked.

Annie shrugged. "Same old, Same old, oh I need your phone so I can call Scott, since I told him I could call when I got here."

"Why can’t you use your own phone?"

"Because I turned it off for the weekend, kind of unplugging for the weekend"

"Is this a way to avoid Justin?"

"Can I just use your phone?"

"Yeah," Connor replied nudging Carly, who just rolled her eyes at him. 

"Thanks," Annie mumbled grabbing the phone off the wall.

"Hi… yeah I’m calling from our old house number… drive was fine, nothing exciting… so if you need me just call the house or the hardware store… and I’ll talk to you later… okay… love you too… bye!" Annie hung up just as Finn and Clare headed into the kitchen and sat at the kitchen table.

Annie took a spot next to Clare, just as Carly brought over the spaghetti to the table, and took a seat herself. They all said grace, and then dug in to the food.

After eating dinner, Finn and Clare got ready for bed as Connor prepped the couch for Annie.

"Thanks for letting me stay for the weekend," Annie smiled from a nearby chair.

"Of course, plus I think if I didn’t, Dad would kick me out," Connor laughed turning to his sister. "But really, whatever is going between you, Justin, and Brad, it’s going to work it’s self out."

"Thanks"

"You’re my baby sister, so I could kick their butts, well maybe not Justin’s, the world might kill me in rebuttal."

Annie laughed, "Yeah, but that’ll be one hell of a way to go."

"Alright you’re all set."

"Thank You,"

"No problem," Connor said kissing the top of Annie’s head. "Good night"

"Night," Annie stood up, grabbed her stuff and headed to the bathroom to get ready for bed.

In the middle of the night, Annie couldn’t fall asleep, she kept tossing and turning, so she just decided to start Justin and Jessica’s house plan outline. She finished one part of the house, when she heard pitter patter of little feet coming down the stairs. She looked behind her and saw Clare coming with her stuffed Shamu in one hand and her blankey dragging behind her.

"Hey little one, what are you doing up this late?"

"Finn snores," Clare stated climbing onto the hide-a-bed Annie was on. "I don’t like sharing a room with him."

"I’m sorry. Hey you want to help me with my project?" Annie smiled as a light bulb went off in her head.

Clare just nodded in excitement as she cuddled up to Annie.

"Alright then, what should this room be used for?" Annie asked drawing a room.

"Shamu!"

"Sound good, this will be Shamu’s room, and what about this one?"

"That could be my room! I don’t want to share my room with Finn anymore. Did you have to share your room?"

"No, I was on the lucky side, but your daddy had to share a room with Uncle Jamie, Uncle Liam, AND Uncle Mark."

"Wow!"

"Yeah, Wow!"

Annie and Clare continued to work on Justin’s "home" plans. Annie couldn’t wait to show him and Jessica what her and Clare came up with, but she also did have a vision of what she really wanted to create.

Soon both Annie and Clare zonked out with all of Annie’s work around them.

When Connor went to go check on Clare, he discovered that she wasn’t in her bed, so heading downstairs he found her cuddled up to Annie. As he was picking up Clare to take her back to her own bed, he noticed the new project Annie was working on, and knew right then, why she needed to get away from Nashville for the weekend.

Chapter 7 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

This girl is going back to work tomorrow, so I'm posting a chapter in celebration! :) 

Chapter 7:

The next morning, the strong smell of coffee hit Annie’s nose waking her up. She stretched and got up from the couch, heading into the kitchen.

"Good morning sunshine," Connor smiled as Annie took a seat at the table.

"Hm hmm," Annie mumbled just as he placed a cup of coffee in front of her.

"Hey Annie- can you come to career day today at school?" Finn asked eating his cereal.

"I thought I was going to be your career day person?" Connor asked.

"Sorry dad, but everyone knows your job, you’re the hardware guy, but Annie’s job is different."

Annie stuck her tongue out at her brother, "Yeah, I’ll be there- what time?"

"After lunch- so 12:30."

"Sounds good!"

"Thanks Annie!"

"You’re welcome Finn"

"Alright, now that I’ve been replaced- go get ready for school munchkins."

As Finn and Clare ran upstairs to get ready, Annie noticed Carly wasn’t around.

"Where’s Carly?"

"Had a vet emergency"

"Oh," Annie said finishing her cup of coffee.

"You know Annie, you can’t let him get to you."

"Who Finn?"

"No, you know who I’m talking about."

"I’m not letting Justin get to me, so I don’t know what you’re talking about"

"Really? You’re designing the man’s house!"

"Well he is now a client and that is my job, so I don’t see the problem."

"Um, the whole town knows about the article, so you can’t let him get to you"

Annie got up from her chair, "I’m not talking about this. I’m going to go for a run." She said heading into the living room to grab her workout clothes, while all Connor just shook his head at this baby sister.

As Annie rounded the corner, she came upon a southern farmhouse style home, and decided to take a detour and go visit the house.

She knocked on the door, and the smell of a familiar sweetness peachy smell wafted in the air, and she was soon greeted with a large smile and a hug.

"Annie!"

"Hi Miss Kay," Annie smiled embracing the hug.

Miss Kay let go of Annie, "What are you doing in town? Come in, Come in."

"Just had to get out of Nashville," Annie smiled following Miss Kay into the kitchen, taking a seat at the kitchen table.

An hour later, Annie was back on her run thinking about her chat she had with Miss Kay. It made her a little happy inside when she was told that even Miss Kay doesn’t like Jessica either, and every time Justin brought her home there was something off about her. This was a good feeling coming from Justin’s grandmother.

Just as she arrived back to the house, the phone was ringing, and since it used to be her house, she answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hey! I was hoping you would answer Annie."

Annie smiled at the voice at the other end.

"How do you know its Annie? Maybe it’s really Carly?"

"Because Carly still has her southern drawl, while you lost yours while you were at Michigan."

"I don’t think I ever had a southern drawl"

"Oh you did, now you just have a little one."

"Uh huh… oh um Miss Kay says hi."

"Please say you’re going to bring back some cobbler"

"Maybe, but I can’t guarantee it’ll last the trip home," Annie smiled into the phone, and looking at the clock. "What are you doing? Aren’t you supposed to be in class now?"

"Yeah, but we have a field trip to the observatory"

"Oh yeah, so why talking to me, when you have kiddos to watch over"

"Because I wanted to see what you are up to…"

"Just got back from a run, and then going to talk to Finn’s class for his career day, since he thought my job was cooler than Connor’s."

"Ooo well that should be fun, just call me later to let me know how it goes and maybe I’ll book you for my class."

"I’m going to have to start charging for my appearances then."

"Well after this last week, you just might have to."

"Haha, you’re sooo not funny, but yeah I’ll call you later."

"Sounds good, but I have to go, the buses are starting to load. Love you!"

"Love you too, bye, have fun!"

"Bye."

"Bye," Annie smiled hanging the phone back on the wall. She laughed at herself, because somehow Scott still remembered the houses landline phone number after all these years.

She still had a couple of hours left before she had to be at the elementary school, so she decided to head to the hardware store, the store that has been in the family for as long as she could remember. This might be a good time to talk to Connor about Clare getting her own room, since her dad could move into the room that was used as an office, or even the apartment above the store that her grandparents used.

As she walked in to the store, Connor was on the phone behind the counter.

"Speak of the devil, guess who just walked in."

Looking behind her, Annie didn’t see anyone else come in, turning back to Connor she pointed to herself in confusion.

"Yeah, she just walked in."

Annie gestured saying that she wasn’t there, as Connor covered up the receiver part of the phone.

"It’s not Justin, it’s Trace."

"Fine," Annie huffed holding out her hand. "Give me the phone."

Connor handed over the phone.

"What do you want?"

"Just to see how you’re doing."

"Bull"

"Really Annie! You just decide to skip town for the weekend?"

"Yep, plus you knew where you could find me, so it wasn’t like I’m in some broken down shack in some unknown forest."

"Does this have anything to do with Justin choosing you to plan his house?"

Annie hesitated… "No"

"Now, it’s my time to say Bull."

"Fine, that’s part of the reason. But you weren’t in that meeting with them! Jessica kept throwing out different housing styles she wanted like, Tuscan and Craftsman and Victorian, and every time I would bring up that they were on different design spectrums, I would get the stink eye from her and she would go into her whining voice. Trace, I wanted to put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger, that’s how bad it was, and Justin just went with it, I wanted to smack him. But of course what the client wants, the client gets."

"Well I’m sure you can figure something out, you did with my house."

"That’s because you and Sammie were a breeze to work with and didn’t have multiple pages of demands of things you wanted, you just had half a page, but I should go, Connor is starting to give me the stink eye for using his phone. Some things never change," Annie laughed.

"Sounds good, just give me a call in a couple of days, so I can make sure that you haven’t fallen off a cliff."

"Haha! I will! Bye Trace"

"Bye Annie," Trace said as they both hung up.

As she looked up from the phone, she was met with Connor in her face.

"So it’s true, you are letting him get to you," Connor smiled, just as Annie sat down on the stool that was behind the counter. "You’re just like Dad, to stubborn to see it for yourself."

Rolling her eyes at her brother. "I’m not stubborn! It’s just his dumb wife, did you know she threaten me to stop being friends with Justin."

"What did you do?"

"Just laughed in her face and that there is no way she was going to destroy a 30-plus year friendship, so I really have to her thank for this dumb project and trying to make different house designs work together."

"You mean the plan I saw when I found Clare asleep with you."

"Yeah, something like that, and speaking of Clare… have you guys thought about giving her her own room? Since she’s complaining about Finn’s snoring."

"Yeah, but we don’t know how? She’s been climbing in with Carly and I almost every night, so you being there helped that out, so thank you!"

Annie smiled. "No problem, plus she kind helped in a way with the plans. But you can turn the office into Dad’s new room. He could enter though the back door, and won’t have to disturb everyone if he comes in late. Then you can probably turn the store's upstairs, into a new office area. It shouldn’t be that hard, since it was Grandma and Grandpa’s apartment. Just turn the bedrooms into offices and then you have the kitchen and the living room as a break room."

"That doesn’t actually half bad, I’ll talk to Dad about it tonight, but you know that means that you get help clean out the office and upstairs apartment," Connor smiled as Annie banged her head on the counter. "Stop banging your head, or you’re going to get a red mark on your forehead for career day."

Sighing Annie stood up and looked at the clock, "I’m going to get some coffee before going over to the school. So I’ll see you tonight."

"Sounds good, and Annie don’t let this project get to you, do what you feel is right, even if it means not going by all of Jessica’s demands. You’ve got this, there have been worst things you’ve been through, so this is just a small bump."

"Thanks Connor," Annie smiled as she left the store.

As she was walking over to the coffee shop, she decided Connor was right. She wouldn’t let this get to her, the list of demands from Jessica was stupid and she would just design the house from her gut and incorporate what home means to Justin. Jessica would just have to deal with it, and if not they will find another architect. She’s been through more shit than she can remember, and Jessica is nothing to her.

Chapter 8 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

Figured I couldn't sleep, so after what almost two years, I would post another chapter. Plus, I have a lot of "add something here" gaps happening, so I thought now would be a good time to bridge those gaps, and maybe get the random parts I've been writing actually in the main story. But, please leave a comment... I would love to know what you thinks of the story....

 

Chapter 8:

Annie got back to Nashville Monday afternoon, as tomorrow would be the teleconference with Justin and Jessica about the start of their house. She emailed the plans to Justin when she got home, and was nervous to what he would say, as she didn’t follow any of the things Jessica had wanted.

While in Millington, she talked to the people who meant the most to Justin to get some inspiration, even going to the local library to do research. She wanted to make sure the house would feel more like home, and not just some sterile place to live and raise a family. Annie didn’t want to create a huge Hollywood type home, where it was so big that the family would never see each other while they were home, and just to get one side to another side it felt like a mini-marathon, plus who really needs 13-bathrooms in a house that has 3-bedrooms?

Sure, Nashville has its fair share of huge homes, but they also have the country charm to them, some even have historical value added. It’s a whole different atmosphere when it comes to Nashville and Tennessee.

When she arrived to work on Tuesday, she threw her stuff in her office and headed into the conference room to get set up. Justin responded to her email late last night, saying he liked the plan so far. So today will be quite interesting to say the least.

Jessica wasted no time getting straight into things.

"So Justin sent me the plans last night after you emailed them to him…"

"And…"

"Sorry Annie, but those aren’t going to work as there are none of my recommendations or the things I listed that I wanted in the house. I thought you wrote them down."

"Um… where is Justin?" questioned Richard, Annie’s boss.

"Oh he had to go LA at the last minute."

Annie rolled her eyes. "Of course he did," she mumbled.

"What was that Annie?" Jessica asked staring Annie down.

"I said of course I wrote down your suggestions."

"So why aren’t any of them part of this plan?"

"Because as you said in the first meeting that they were only suggestions. Plus, you’re in Tennessee, not LA. So you really don’t need a 10-bedroom house, unless you’re planning on having 8 to 9 kids."

"Well Annie, there’s always a chance," Jessica smirked.

Annie sighed and rolled her eyes. "Look what you want style wise is not going to work. You can’t put Tuscan, Victorian, Craftsman, and Tudor styles all in one! They’re on opposite sides of the design spectrum. You’re asking for a clown house, with all these as part of a single house!" Annie said. "This isn’t LA, this is Tennessee. It’s not that hard to understand!"

"I don’t care, I want everything I listed in the first meeting. So I don’t know what you did with the list, but everything on it needs to be included in the house Annie," Jessica sternly said staring Annie down.

Annie stared right back at Jessica. "Well your list… is on the side of I-40 somewhere between Nashville and Millington, so…"

"Well you better go back and find it, because you know, Annie, I always get what I want," Jessica leaned in.

Richard just stood there watching the verbal match between the two ladies, afraid to speak up.

"Well Jessica, not this time. I’m pulling myself off this project," Annie said gathering her things, and then headed to leave but stopped before opening the door, "Let me know how that conversation goes with Justin, because he replied to the email, saying the plans looked great, and reminded him of home."

Then Annie slammed the conference door shut, and went back to her office.

Jessica just sat there and stared at the door, "Can she do that? Can she pull herself off this?"

Richard just nodded his head.

"But you’re her boss- can you do something?"

"I could assign another architect, but if you’re implying that I fire Annie, that’s not going to happen. Plus, she was right, you’re list was stupid crazy and you’ll probably find that no descent architect will make everything you want happen. You need to let whatever beef you have with Annie, and I’m thinking Justin is part of it, go, but you need to let Annie do her job, she’s good and it, and then if you don’t, then you might as well find another firm to work with your crazy demands," and with that Richard left Jessica alone in the conference room.

 

Chapter 9 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

Isn't it funny when a comment makes you want to post more and kinda gives you motivation to get the words from brain to paper to computer?? :) 

Chapter 9

While at happy hour with Molly and Lucy, Annie’s text message alert went off

‘What do you mean you’re off the project?’

Annie didn’t want to talk to Justin about what happened, so she turned her phone onto vibrate.

"What was that about?" Lucy asked.

"Nothing – just work shit," Annie mumbled taking a sip of her drink.

"So how was Millington?" asked Molly.

"Ehhh, it was home. I’m going back next weekend, because we’re cleaning out the office in the house, so dad can move in, and Clare could get her own room. And then everything from the office, is going to the apartment above the hardware store to be turned into the new office."

"I thought Clare liked sharing a room with Finn."

"I did too, but she says that he snores too loud for her, and she’s been climbing into bed with Connor and Carly almost every night, which isn’t good for either of them."

"Yeah"

"Plus Scott said he would come and help, so that’ll be nice," Annie said as her phone kept shaking the table with it’s vibrations. She looked down and saw that Trace had joined the message.

‘What’s going on? Didn't you guys have a meeting about the house plans this morning?"

‘Yeah, but I had to go to LA last minute, so Jessica went by herself.’

‘Oh’

Lucy couldn’t stand the table vibrating anymore, so she grabbed Annie’s phone.

‘What are you doing Luce?"

"Going to try and shut up the vibrating until we’re done’

‘What are you bickering hens bickering about? We’re trying to enjoy happy hour here! So STOP it!! –Lucy’

‘We’ll stop when we find out why Annie is no longer working on the house, and until then we’ll just keep bugging you girls *Wide Smiley Emoji and Tongue sticking out emoji*’ Trace replied.

"So you pulled yourself off of Justin and Jessica’s house project?" Lucy questioned.

"Yep," Annie said, taking in the last of her drink.

"So the meeting with Jessica and Justin ended up going lovely then," Molly said rolling her eyes.

"Oh yeah, real lovely," Annie sighed. "The meeting only happened with Jessica, since Justin had to go to LA at the last minute. So yeah it only went as good as you think it went."

"Ooo… please… do tell!"

"Well the fact that she had multiple pages of demands for this house, like a 2-story closet, 2 nanny rooms, 2 maid rooms. She wanted the master bedroom on the complete opposite end of the house from the other bedrooms, so when they have kids, they won’t disturb her beauty sleep. Then she wanted 4 to 5 different architectural styles for the house. When she asked if I still had the list, I told her that it’s on the side of I-40, and that this was Nashville, not LA. Then she says that she ALWAYS gets what she wants, so at that point I just pulled myself off. I sent the plans to them last night, and Justin said they looked good and reminded him of home, and then today I get the pain-in-my-ass daddy paid everything and I don’t have to work a day in my life bitch."

"Can I smack her? That would be great!" Molly smirked.

"Sure, I don’t care."

"Alright, next time I see her, I’ll smack her for you."

"Awww, thanks!"

"You’re welcome," Molly smiled grabbing her purse from the hook under the table. "But I got to go, Jason and I are going out for dinner."

"Aww," Lucy cooed, as Molly rolled her eyes.

"Have fun!" Annie smiled as her and Lucy also grabbed their bags and headed to their cars.

"So let me know how that convo with Justin and Trace work out," Lucy said giving Annie a hug.

"I will. I’ll probably wait until tomorrow to respond. They can wait," Annie laughed returning Lucy’s hug.

"Alright lady, I’ll text you later."

"Sounds good," smiled Annie as they went their separate ways.

While on the drive home from happy hour with the girls, Annie got a call from Connor. 

"Yo," Annie responded. 

"So, I talked it over with dad, and instead of moving everything out of the office for dad's bedroom, we just figured it would be better for him if he were to move into the upstairs apartment."

"Okay, sounds good to me."

"Less stuff to move and go through. Plus that he has the freedom to come and go without waking Finn and Clair, and have his buddies over I guess."

"Yep."

"Plus it kind of keeps the tradition alive, since when mom and dad took over the house, grandma and grandpa moved into the apartment, and now that Grandma lives with Uncle Will. It's dad's turn to move in." 

"Okay." 

"So you don't have to come over next weekend, since Jamie is already coming over, I'll put him to work."

"Okay." 

With so many one word answers coming from Annie, Connor started to get worried. 

"And then maybe we can get Clare a pony." 

"Sounds good."

"Annie, are you even listening?"

"Yeah, sure. Dad moving into the apartment, Jamie helping out, Clare pony. Got it."

"Is everything alright?" 

"Yeah, it's just work and work meetings and that's all. Look Connor, I just got home. So I'll call you later," Annie said hanging up the phone as she got out of the car and walking into the house. 

As soon as she got settled at home, Trace texted her separate of the group text. 

'You home?'

'Maybe...' but before she got the chance to hit the send button, he was already calling. 

"I don't think I've ever been so popular with all the phone calls and text that I've been getting these last few weeks," she answered, grabbing a pint of Ben & Jerry's out of the freezer. 

"So did you really pull yourself off of their house project?" 

Plopping herself on the couch, and eating a spoonful of ice cream, "Maybe... but are you really shocked that I did?" 

Trace sat on the other side of the phone thinking about it, "Probably not- especially knowing how the first meeting went. So what happened?" 

"I emailed them the basic outline plans the other day when I got back into town, Justin said he liked them, and then this morning there I was in a meeting with just Jessica, cause Justin had to fly out to LA, telling me it's not what they had envisioned for their house, and where were the required items she wanted. But then I told her that it was implied they were only suggestions, and that her list was somewhere along I-40, and that I should go find it because she always makes sure she gets what she wants... so I gave her something she wanted- pulled myself off. Simple as that..." 

"I saw the plans and thought they looked great..."

"Right! Thank you! But now I'll just have another firm have this clown house under their portfolio, because there's no way I'm putting my reputation or even the firm's reputation on a clown house, I don't care who it's for. I know exactly why she's doing it, and I know it shouldn't bother me but it does..." 

"Why is she doing it?" Trace asked already knowing the answer. 

"Because like she'd said before she wants me to end the friendship with Justin, I keep telling her it's not going to happen, and to stop thinking that I'm a threat to her because I'm not. I might have to ease her mind and tell her that "That Girl" was actually about her, and not me." 

Trace started laughing on the other end of the phone. 

"But you already know it probably won't ease her mind at all, since she's hated me from the time minute we met." 

"She didn't hate you..." 

"Oh yeah, her opinion of me was already set before actually meeting me in person. The night we all went to dinner to meet her, was the moment I knew her opinion of me would never change, doesn't matter what I do."

Chapter 10 by addy0316

Chapter 10-

Spring 2012

"Are you ready?" Annie asked walking into Brad’s office at Vanderbilt University.

"This is dumb, why do we have to go?" Brad asked looking up from his computer.

Annie moved behind Brad hugging him, "Because I said so, plus Justin says she could be the one and that I have to meet her. And if you behave you just might get something special later," kissing him on the cheek. "So, let’s go, we’re already late."

"Fine, let’s go," Brad mumbled standing up. "Is he paying for it?"

"I don’t know, probably, or I think that his parents might…" ???

"Alright, let’s go then," Brad smiled letting Annie walk before him through the door, then locking it.

"Just because they might be paying doesn’t mean you can order the most expensive thing."

"Come on Annie, give me some credit. I don’t order the most expensive thing, second expensive maybe, but never the most. Where are we going anyway?"

"I think he said The Southern?" Annie said checking her phone. "Yep, The Southern on 3rd Ave."

"Going fancy, but not too fancy. Nice," Brad said getting into the car, Annie rolling her eyes.

About 10 minutes later, they arrived at The Southern Steam and Oyster, valeting the car, Brad grabbed Annie’s hand as they walked into the restaurant.

As they approached the table, Annie noticed everyone was there, Justin’s parents, his brothers, Trace, Sam, Justin’s new girlfriend and of course Justin. The first person to notice Annie and Brad was Justin’s mom, Lynn.

"Annie!" she smiled and standing up, causing everyone to turn and look at Annie and Brad.

"Hi," Annie said as Lynn gave her a hug, "Sorry we’re late."

"It’s okay, just glad you’re here."

As Brad took a seat, Annie went and did her ‘hello’ thing.

"Hi Annie Bananie," Justin said getting up and giving her a bear hug.

"Hi J," she mumbled before breaking away.

"So this is Jessica, Jessica this is Annie," Justin smiled introducing the two.

"Hi, nice to meet you," Annie said holding out her hand for a handshake.

Jessica looked Annie up and down, "You too," she quickly said before turning back to her conversation.

"Alright then," Annie said.

"Sorry about that, I’m sure you’ll two talk later," Justin said.

"Maybe," Annie smiled. "But sit down and let me go say hi to everyone else."

"Sounds good."

Throughout the night, Annie tried to get to know Jessica a little more but was either met with short answers or ignored all together.

"Alright, well she’s got her mind set all ready," Annie said to Sam who was sitting next to her.

"I’m sure she’ll come around," Sam said.

"Yeah we’ll see," Annie said taking a drink of her water.

"By the way, what’s up with the water? I thought for sure this would be a Jameson kind of night of you," Sam laughed.

"Doctor said that I’m not getting enough water and to lay off the Jameson for a little while…"

"Like 9 months while?"

"Not saying that… just yet…"

Sam just smiled and squeezed Annie hand, as Annie half smiled back. Sam knew of Annie’s previous pregnancy attempts and knew better to say anything more as she had some of the same issues herself.

"Oh by the way congrats Annie," Trace said looking her direction.

"For what?" she asked, then looked at Brad. "You didn’t tell him, did you?"

"About what? The baby? No," Brad whispered.

"What are you talking about Trace?"

"Your Top 40 under 40 in Nashville," Trace smiled.

"Where’d you see that?"

"The Nashville Business Journal I was flipping through while waiting for a meeting."

"Congrats Annie," Justin smiled. "That’s awesome."

Seeing how the attention was on Annie, and not on her, Jessica decided to share her own news.

"Congrats Annie, however…"

"Oh great here we go," Sam mumbled.

"I got some news of my own to share…"

"Shocker…"

Annie sniffled her laugh while hitting Sam’s thigh to tell her to hush.

"This should be good," Brad said. "So what’s your big news?"

"I just got signed to do a guest spot on ‘Modern Family’."

"How is this news? Aren’t you already on TV?" Brad asked.

"Well Chad…"

"It’s Brad," Annie corrected.

"Doesn’t matter. This is news because guest spots don’t happen all that often and it’s a special occasion when one does book a spot."

"Well congrats Jess, can’t wait to watch it, but I want to hear more about this 40 under 40 in Nashville that Trace was talking about," Lynn said.

"It’s just a list that recognizes 40 young professionals who are under 40 years old making a positive impact on Nashville through their hard work and community involvement. That’s all really, it’s not a big deal. Although I totally forgot about it, since they did the photo a month or so ago," Annie mentioned.

"That’s amazing, congrats Annie," Tucker, Justin’s dad said.

"Thank You, it’s nothing, really…"

"I’m so proud of you," Brad smiled, putting his arm around Annie giving her a kiss.

Throughout the night, if the attention wasn’t on Jessica, she would make sure it always came back to her.

As everyone was leaving, Sam interlocked her arms with Annie, "Well that was fun." Annie just responded with a laugh.

"Sam, we’re over here," Trace yelled.

"Bye girlie," Sam said hugging Annie. "Love you!"

"Bye you guys- Love you too," Annie said as Brad took her hand.

"Thanks, Annie, for coming," Justin said walking over to the two.

"No problem, anything for you. I mean you are my best friend after all."

"And sorry about Jessica…"

"Ehh it’s okay, it happens. I’m sure she’ll warm up to me eventually."

"I hope, but I’ll text you later," Justin said as his car, and Annie and Brad’s car came to the valet stand at the same time.

"Sounds good! Bye Justy!" Annie smiled as they got into their respective cars and drove home.

--

"Oh yeah that was the night after your 40 under 40 thing came out," Trace said.

"So, yep- it's not even worth putting my career and portfolio on the line you know..."

"Yeah."

"So I don't care at this point if they go with another firm."

"Not even if somehow or someway they go with Charlotte's dad's firm?"

Annie paused at the name of her nemesis since elementary school.

'Nope...'

'Liar!" Trace laughed

"Fine, I might hurt a little, but then when it's done and it looks like a disaster, I'll just sit back and laugh."

"So what's the plan now?"

Annie shrugged like he was able to see her, "I dunno."

"Have you responded to all of J's text about what happened."

"Nope," she quickly responded.

"You know you're going to have to explain it to him at some point."

"Yeah I know- should I just go over and apologize? Why am I the one feeling like shit about this Trace? I shouldn't be but I do..."

"Because you want what's best for your friends. You've been like this as long as I've known you..."

"So I should go over and explain why I pulled myself off?"

"If that makes you feel better, then sure..."

"Do you know when he's getting back in town?"

"I think either Thursday, or Friday...," Trace said trying to think. "Yeah sometime on Friday."

"Got it."

"So you good?"

"Yeah I'm good..."

"That's my Annie," Trace smiled.

"Thanks sir."

"So let me know how it goes."

"I will, but I'm sure he'll tell you before I'm able to."

"Sometimes I'm not sure about that.."

Annie started laughing, "Yeah, right."

"Anyway, I just wanted to check in with you after today and the group messages."

"Thanks, I really do appreciate it Trace."

"I know. But I gotta get the girls to bed, since Sam is out with her sister tonight. So I'll call you later okay."

"Sounds good. Give the girls cuddles for me."

"I will, but I'll talk to you later.'

'Okay, talk to you later'

'Bye.'

'Bye.'

And with that they both hung up their phones. Sitting on the couch with the ice cream pint half-eaten, sighing, Annie got off the couch and headed back in the kitchen to put the ice cream back in the freezer before heading upstairs.

Walking up the stairs, her phone started to ring again, looking down at the Caller ID- she saw it was Scott.

"Thank god," she mumbled answering the phone.

"Hey"

"Hey- so how did today's meeting go?"

"Ehh..."

"That good?"

"Sure if you say so," Annie said lying on top of her bed.

"You wanna talk about it?"

"Not really."

"Okay- well when you're ready I'm here," Scott reassured.

"I know."

"Well just don't get in your own head about it."

Scrunching her face, Annie replied "Too late."

"I figured, so you just need to go take a hot shower and know everything will eventually workout."

"I hope so..."

"Well the first step is the hot shower. You know they say taking a shower before bed helps wash the stress of the day away."

"Really? I always took a shower at night because it was easier to claim the one bathroom in the house, then it was in the morning, with all the boys trying to get ready. Which looking back on it, it's actually funny because they always took longer to get ready, than I did."

"See you just need the shower as a start..."

"Yeah, that actually doesn't sound too bad right now."

"So go enjoy your shower and let it was whatever happened today down the drain."

"Easier said, then done."

"Hey, I'm trying to help you here."

"I know and I really do appreciate it, but this probably might have to take a few showers to wash away."

"Well, one shower at a time then."

"Fine, I'll go take a shower."

"I promise you'll feel a little better, and if not, then you have permission to call me in the middle of the night to bitch and moan some more."

"Okay, you got a deal," Annie said while laughing.

"Now, I'll let you get to it and call me tomorrow."

"You got it."

"Have a good night."

"You too."

Hanging up the phone, Annie just lay there, thinking about what Scott had said.

He was right, she needed a nice long hot shower, at least if the stress doesn't wash away- she'll hopefully get some decent sleep- at least she wishes.

Pulling herself up, she dragged herself in the bathroom, turning on the shower to the hottest setting she knew she could handle. While the shower was heating up, she peeled off her work clothes and tossed them into the hamper. By that point the bathroom was already filling up with steam, stepping into the shower, and standing right under the hot water, Annie groaned as the hot water started to relax her muscles. Scott was right, this was exactly what she needed after today.

Leaning up against the back wall of the shower, head up against her arms and letting the hot water wash over her back, Annie got an idea that she just couldn't shake.

Smiling she quickly finished up her shower, dried off, brushed her teeth, and changed into a t-shirt and pajama shorts, grabbing her phone and laying on the bed, she quickly sent Justin a text:

'Let me know when you guys get back into town on Friday."

After hitting the send button, she turned her phone and silent and put it on her bedside table, while grabbing the notebook and pen, and started to work on the idea, because if she didn't get it down on paper at that moment, she wouldn't be able to sleep, as it would be the only thing she thought about.

Chapter 11 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

It's just a quick short chapter 

Chapter 11 

Friday got here pretty quickly, a little too quickly for Annie's liking, but she was ready. 

Trace texted her earlier saying that him and Sam were going out for the night and the girls were at his sister's house for the night. Thinking it would be best, since Justin and Jessica are staying at his house, and knowing some words might be exchanged. 

Annie was also ignoring all of Justin's text during the past week, as he was trying to figure out what was going on. She finally replied: 

'Leaving work in 5 minutes, should be there in about an hour,' adding the "excited" gif of Rachel and Phoebe.

'Okay- Now I'm literally scared of what you might have planned.'

Replying Annie typed, 'I'll see you in an hour,' then for fun added Newman's evil laugh gift.
About an hour later, Annie pulled into Trace's driveway, putting the car in park, and took a deep breath. She grabbed her notebook and headed to the front door. After knocking on the door, she waited for someone to answer it, and was a little surprised who actually did answer the door. 

"Hi Annie."

"Hi Jessica," Annie said making her way past Jessica, into the house and going straight to the kitchen, with Jessica on her heels. 

She grabbed a Magner's Irish Cider out of the fridge, since Sam and Trace likes to keep them in stock for when she comes over, as Justin asked, "So, um what's going on?" 

Twisting the cap off of the Magner's, she took a sip while looking at the both of them. 

"I wanted to apologize for earlier this week and the way I pulled myself off the project. It wasn't professional, and so I'm sorry," she sincerely said.

"You're right Annie, it wasn't professional," Jessica responded sitting at the kitchen island. 

"So with that, by some magical miracle, I found Jessica's book of demands, oh I'm sorry "request" in the bottom of my backpack. So I went back to the drawing board and.." she said as she opened her notebook and found the page she was looking for, "so I was able to come up with this for you guys." 

Jessica's eyes got wide with horror, "What the fuck is this!? This isn't what I wanted!" 

Annie just looked at her, "Yeah it is, you have the colonial style entrance with your Mediterranean style on either side. And then in the back we have," she flipped the page. "The tudor style you wanted with a Victorian flair." 

Turning the page again, she showes Jessica and Justin the rough sketch floor plan. Jessica just sat there in disbelief, this is not what she had in mind, and definitely not what she wanted.

"So as you can see, when you walk into the front door you have a split staircase, where one side leads to just the master suite side of the house and then the other side leads you to the rest of the bedrooms. So per your request, your kids will never have to bother you," Annie just smirked at Jessica, as she continued, "Then the master suite is 2 stories, to accommodate the 2 story walk in closet, well really the bedroom part is the 1st floor, and then the entire closet is the second floor of the master suite. Then we also have a modern style kitchen with a contemporary style living room. Just like you wanted Jessica," Annie said going over Jessica's checklist. 

By this time Jessica's blood was almost to the boiling point of frustration.

"Oh and Clare wanted to help out, so she wanted to add a Shamu room for your kids."

"Shamu?" Justin asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, she said that your kids should have a pet whale and some otters and penguins."

"Who's Clare?" Jessica asked, looking at Justin. 

"My niece, she wanted to make sure that you had a room for all your pets, kinda similar to another thing on your list which was a master suite style room for the dogs." 

Throwing the notebook back at Annie, Jessica had enough. "This isn't what I wanted!" 

Annie just stared Jessica down, "Yeah it is- I got 90% of your demands in this house design!," waving around the papers with the request on them. "What more do you want?" 

"Not this!" Jessica yelled, getting up from her seat, walking over to Annie.

"Well this is what your dumb list got you! I tried to tell you that, but as you said - you always get what you want." 

"But it looks like a clown house, and I can't live in a clown house." 

"Oh give me a fucking break! You give us a novel of demands you want in your house- we don't use them you get pissy, then we do use them you still get pissy. No wonder people say you're a pain in the ass to work with.."

"Annie..." Justin warned. 

Annie took a deep breath to calm her nerves, "Look I'm..."

That's when Jessica interjected... "Well you're a fucking cunt."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa- hold up now," Justin said stepping in between the two women. 

"Look, I was going to apologize, but if you think of me like that, then I'm done. I can't. I'm sorry," Annie said grabbing her things. "I tried, I really did try, but I'm out. Congrats, Jessica you got what you wanted." 

Opening the door, Annie stormed out of the house hearing. "Bye stupid bitch," from Jessica, as Justin was trying to stop her from continuing. 

"Jessica, stop it!" he gritted. 

Jessica closed the door behind Annie, turning around and looked at Justin with a smirk. 

Shaking his head in disappointment, he turned on his heel and headed to the kitchen and living room. 

"We'll just find a real planner that can truly see our dream house," Jessica said following him. 

Turning off the lights, Justin looked at her. "I'm going to bed, it's been a really long day," he said walking past her to the guest bedroom where they were staying.

Chapter 12 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

A little bit of a longer chapter than normal, as I couldn't find a good spot to split it. This is also a chapter that took a little more effort to write so it sounded more like it should (does that make sense? It makes sense in my head...) So please enjoy! 

Chapter 12
*A few weeks later*

Annie was excited for her weekend by herself, Scott was in Atlanta for a college frat brother's wedding, so it was her time to unwind. She had her West Cork Irish Whiskey and Vernor's Ginger Ale, the couch, her favorite blanket, the gas fireplace going, her mom’s Irish bread pudding baking in the oven, 'Live PD' playing in the background. Because nothing says relaxing like the smells of vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg filling the house while yelling at the TV for the police K9 to bite the suspect. It was her night, no Justin drama, no friend drama, no family drama, and no one was going to mess it up, right?

About 35 minutes into her relaxing night, a loud pounding started on the front door. She was too comfy and didn't want to move from her spot, hoping that whoever was at her front door would eventually just go away.

It seemed to do the trick at least for a few minutes, but then the pounding started again.

Getting up from the couch mumbling obscenities, she looked through the peephole, rolling her eyes as she opened the door.

"What do you want?" she asked, leaning against the door jam, crossing her arms over her chest.

"To apologize, to say I miss you, and to figure out why you haven’t responded to my message for the last couple of weeks," he smiled, looking at Annie from under his baseball hat.

"Apologize for what? She should be the one apologizing, not you, and I haven’t been answering your messages because I’ve been busy," Annie said. 

“Busy my butt! And you know Jess, she’s set in her ways and is hardheaded. Kind of like you," he smirked.

"No, she’s just a spoiled brat who's always gotten her way, and everyone is afraid to say 'no' to her," Annie said. "Do you want to come in? Wait, how did you get here anyway?"

"Trace let me borrow his truck," he said walking past her into the house.

"Of course, he did," she mumbled heading inside herself, getting a whiff of beer as he walked by.

"Did I interrupt something?" he asked sitting in an armchair that was next to the couch.

"Yeah my quiet night in," Annie said, "Do you want anything to drink?"

He saw her drink on the coffee table, "What are you drinking?"

"West Cork and Vernor's.’

"I’ll have that," he said moving to the couch, taking in Annie’s set up.

While Annie was in the kitchen, she texted Trace: 'Really, like you couldn’t text me saying he was coming?'

Trace quickly responded: 'Didn’t know, all he said was that he had an errand to run. Sorry *shrug emoji here*'

"Cozy," he said as Annie brought out his drink, plus the West Cork bottle. "What’s the bottle for?"

"For me to get through this ‘apology,’ but have you been drinking tonight?"

"Just a little buzz."

"Hmm…mmm"

"It’s true, had one beer at dinner, and that’s it."

"Huh uh... sure okay. So where’s my apology and why isn’t she here to give it?"

"She’s in Canada filming."

"Nice, she’s having you do her dirty work."

"Do you want the apology or not?"

"I want it from her, not you. Her apology coming from you really doesn't clear her."

"Well this is what you’re getting, at least for now." He put his drink down on the table and turned to look at Annie. "So, I'm sorry that Jess called you the ‘C’ word. We'd just found out about the pregnancy and she was getting over-emotional about everything, but she shouldn't have said that.”

"If she was really sorry, she'd be here to apologize in person. Maybe I was kind of acting like a bitch, but it was the only way to get through to her." She grabbed the bottle of whiskey taking a sip straight from it. "You saw how ridiculous her request list was!"

"You know what she's like, even at the best of times. Jess just wanted everything to be perfect, for the baby," he said, his smile wilting.

"Still, that's the first time anyone's called me a cunt, sure people have probably thought it before, but to say it to my face? She doesn't get a pass on that just by being pregnant."

He sighed, closing his eyes. "She knows that, we both do. For what it's worth, I really liked your plans for the house. When I saw them, I felt like I was home. So, I’m sorry Jess cost you the job."

“Actually let’s get this straight- I pulled myself off of it, so she didn't cost me the project. I just really didn’t want a clown house appearing in my or the agency’s portfolio. But I guess I’ll let Charlotte’s dad have that privilege."

"How’d you find out about Mr. Livingston doing the plans?"

Annie took a swig of whiskey before responding.

"I was back home last weekend to see how Dad was doing in the apartment, and so Sadie and I went out for lunch at the diner, and in true Charlotte fashion, she started bragging about it as soon as she walked in. ‘Did you hear daddy is designing Justin’s new house?’ Blah, blah blah, and then she sees me and comes over, sits down next to us and says that she’s sorry that I couldn’t see Jessica’s vision in the house, and that it was a design that is more suitable for a more experienced architect. Also, that it was Jessica who asked Mr. Livingston to take on the project, and then she just got up and left."

That's when the ding from the kitchen timer went off. 

"What was that?" Justin asked.

Annie headed to the kitchen, “I’m making bread pudding."

"Ah, so that's what I'm smelling. Using your mom’s recipe?" 

"Yeah its mom's recipe, who else’s recipe would I be using? But you want some?"

"Have I ever said no to your bread pudding?"

"Not that I know of," Annie said bring a large bowl of Irish Bread Pudding, with vanilla ice cream and two spoons. "Oh and as Charlotte was leaving the diner, a biscuit or two might have hit her."

"What’s with you and throwing perfectly yummy biscuits?"

"I can't help it that they make good ammo, plus it wasn't just me this time, Sadie might have helped. She’s been getting on my nerves since 4th grade, and this just made it worse. But what I don’t get is how did Jessica know Mr. Livingston and Charlotte to begin with?"

It was Justin’s turn to take a swig from the whiskey bottle.

"Last Fall, Dad and I went golfing at the country club, while Jessica hung out with mom in the clubhouse. Charlotte and Mr. Livingston were there, Charlotte introduced herself to us, and it seemed like her and Jess hit it off," he said taking a spoonful of bread pudding.

"Are we going to need more alcohol for this heart-to-heart apology?" Annie stood up heading back into the kitchen.

"Probably," he said with a mouthful of bread pudding.

She returned from the kitchen with 2 liquor bottles, handing Justin the clear one.

"Really, you’re giving me my own tequila?"

"Sure, I’ve got the bottles, might as well get used," Annie smirked.

"Stinker," he said opening the bottle and taking a swig. "Where’s Scott?"

"He’s in Atlanta for some frat brother’s wedding, where he’s a groomsman, hence the cozy night in by myself I had planned." 

“You didn’t go with him?”

“I wouldn’t know anyone, plus those are his buddies, and with him being a groomsman- I wouldn’t see him most of the time anyway…” Annie shrugged. "So, was that my "apology"?"

"Sorry, on my behalf of what Jessica called you at Trace's house, and the reaction she had at during the meeting when I wasn't there. And like I said before We'd just found out about the pregnancy and Jess just wants everything to be perfect," he said

Annie just stared at him. 

"Just accept it,” he said, taking another swig, with another bite of dessert.

Annie thought about it, took a swig from the Jameson bottle. "Nope, sorry"

"Oh come on!"

"Sorry J. I’m not going to accept it, it's not really coming from her. Like I said she doesn’t get a pass just because she’s pregnant. I only did what she wanted when it came to redoing the plans, I had to get it through to her somehow that the house was going to look hideous, and the best way to do that is to actually show her what it would look like. Plus, did you know that it was her idea to end this friendship, just like that?" Annie sighed, snapping her fingers.

"Wait, I thought it was your idea to end it, at least that’s what she made it seem like."

Taking another sip from the bottle, she replied, “Of course she’s going to make it seem like it was my idea, but nope, when she pulled me aside before your show, she told me that I was a distraction to you and that we need to end the friendship. I told her that we’ve been through so much shit together that it ain’t gonna happen. But then thinking about it, I didn’t want to come in between you two, because I had that happen to me, and it sucks, so I didn’t want you to go through what I went through with Brad. So that’s why I haven’t been answering your messages and been talkative lately."

"I’m sorry Annie," Justin said looking down, then took a sip from his bottle.

"But hearing you say that you miss me, made me miss you even more. I miss this..."

Justin moved closer on the couch to take Annie into a hug. "Well I can tell you that I won’t let her get in between our friendship."

"Thanks J," Annie said snuggling more into him. “I’m sorry I wasn’t answering your messages, I think I just need time to recoup from what happened. However, I’m going to say this as your best friend and someone whose known you since forever, you need to put your foot down more when it comes to Jessica. The relationship is supposed to be an equal give and take, not take take take, and that’s what she’s doing…"

"I know," he said swigging the bottle, then handing it to Annie, who took a swig herself.

“Although I could also be talking out of my ass because we know how my marriage ended up. But after I heard that Mr. Livingston is now handling the plans, after I left the diner, Sadie told me that she overheard Charlotte talking about how they were going to use my plans, but just adjust them a little, like add more rooms or something. So congrats once again on living in a clown house."

"Thanks Annie," Justin rolled his eyes, as he took the bottle from her.

"My pleasure," she smirked, taking a bite of the bread putting, flipping the spoon upside down in her mouth, then pulling it out, noticing Justin starring at her.

"Wha…" she started looking at him with ice cream in her mouth.

Before she was able to finish her question, he grabbed the back of her neck and started kissing her, tasting the ice cream, bread pudding, and whiskey mix on her lips. As they were making out, he took the dessert bowl from her and placed it on the coffee table, then Annie leaned back on the couch to get more comfortable, before breaking the kiss.

"Do you want me to stop?" Justin asked, hovering over her on the couch.

With Annie’s mind in an alcohol fog, "Please don’t," she smiled as Justin smiled, then went back to making out, and the heat started to build up between them.

Chapter 13 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

Figured I would post 1 chapter before leaving for my weekend trip! Hope you all enjoy! :P 

Chapter 13
The next morning, Annie woke up with a slight migraine and the sun streaming on her face. She rolled over and saw Justin smiling at her.

"What are you smiling for?"

"Just how cute you look with the sun and your hair being all messy, the light hits the red just right in the morning light," he smirked. "Oh, that could be a song!"

Anne just groaned putting the pillow over her head, "Please, no more songs! Or if you do at least give me my fair share of royalities this time."

"I can’t make any promises," he smiled removing the pillow and kissing her, then pulled away. "You still taste like bread pudding."

Annie just rolled her eyes as he went back to kissing her.

She knew she should have stopped it, but it was like a drug, she wanted more and caved into the kissing.

About an hour later, as they were half sleeping, Annie heard a text message tone one a phone downstairs.

"J, I think your phone is going off downstairs," she said with her eyes closed

"How’d you know it’s not your phone huh?" he asked looking at her with one eye opened, and releasing the arm he had around her. 

"Because mine is still on silent from when I had planned my quiet night in, and I never changed it back, so that’s how," she said, propping herself up on her elbows from her stomach sleep position, looking at him. "Plus, I don’t have the Super Mario power up sound effect, so that’s another reason I know it’s not my phone."

"I guess, I need to return Trace’s truck back to him," Justin said sitting on the edge of the bed pulling on his boxers, then standing up to put on his pants.

"Will you toss me my shirt?" Annie asked pointing to the Michigan t-shirt that was sitting on the floor.

As he bent down to get the shirt, he grabbed something else that was on the floor. He then tossed the shirt to Annie, who was putting it on.

"Do you really have your Millington High School sweatpants?" he laughed showing her the pants.

Annie’s head popped out of the shirt, "Yeah, so?"

"Aren’t they like 20 something years old?"

"So? Sue me, they’re my favorite pair of sweats, and they still fit. So hand them over please," she smiled as he threw them at her. "Thanks sir."

Justin just smiled and shook his head. "I’ll just meet you downstairs," he said grabbing his own shirt and headed downstairs.

"See, they fit fine," Annie said appearing at the bottom of the stairs. "So who was the lucky one that was sending you all the Mario Brother power ups?"

"Trace, demanding to get his truck back. I guess he’s in charge of picking the girls up from dance class and taking them to a friend’s birthday party, so he’s stuck at the house right now since Sam is at work"

"Has Jess called or anything?"

"Nooo…" he said eyeing her.

"I just thought she would have some sort of tracking device on the phone or maybe heaven forbid that she might be actually coming around and thinking that you would be at the studio and with her filming schedule, she knew that she might as well call you later today, or maybe that would be a ton of wishful thinking," Annie shrugged. "Do you want some coffee?"

Ignoring the first part of what Annie said, Justin replied, "Yeah, coffee would be great actually"

"No problem," Annie said as she loaded the Keurig, just as Justin got another text message.

"Actually, can I get it togo?"

"Trace getting anxious?"

"Big time- almost ready to report it stolen," he laughed as Annie poured the coffee into a travel mug, then pulled out Tupperware container.

"Hold on, I’ll make it less painful on you then. Just bring him some of this and he’ll at least calm down a little," she smiled shutting the lid of the container she was using and handing it to him as they walked to the front door, Annie licking her fingers to get the bread pudding off of them.

Justin noticed what she was doing, and started to get hard again, "Annie! Stop!"

She looked up from unlocking the door, "Stop what? This?" She smiled licking her fingers again.

"Yes!" he said pushing her up against the door, kissing her hard, just when things were about to get hotter, the Super Mario Brother power up chimed and Annie broke away, laughing.

"You better tend to Trace, before he calls the police and somehow Jamie is the one to respond," she said opening the door, as Justin rolled his eyes, both stepping out on the front porch.

"Just imagine that headline, "Justin Timberlake arrested by childhood best friend’s brother in front of childhood best friend’s house for stealing other childhoods best friend’s truck."

"Huh?" he asked trying to wrap his head around what she just said.

Laughing at his perplexed look, she pushed him into the direction of the porch steps, "Just go- Trace needs you!"

He stopped at the bottom of the stairs to look at her.

"Well not in that way you idiot," she giggled, the shrugged, "But who knows?"

Justin just shook his head as he walked through to the truck, flipping her off on the way.

Annie shouted back, "You already have!" Laughing as she watched him get into the truck, then backing out of her driveway waving.

As soon as he was out of sight, she shut the door and leaned up against it.

"Holy fuck...I’m dead… I’m going to hell," she mumbled.

Chapter 14 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

So this was originally a longer chapter, but decided it felt best to split it. 

Ch. 14
Annie needed to talk to someone, but her closest and oldest girlfriend, Sadie was back in Millington, so that wasn’t going to work because she needed to talk to someone in person. She grabbed her phone, ignoring all the messages from Trace, and texted someone else she was close with who would be good to talk to, and was nearby.

Meet me at Greta’s Diner in 15 minutes

She then threw her hair in a messy ponytail, putting a Michigan baseball hat over her head, grabbed her purse, keys, and phone, and headed out the door to Greta’s Diner

Around 20 minutes later, Annie looked from her spot in a back booth and noticed a brunette with light brown highlights getting into the seat across from her.

"You look like shit," the girl said smiling, "So what was so urgent that you made me leave my niece’s soccer game, not that I’m sorry since you can only watch 3-year-olds playing for so long before they start to not care. Thank You," the brunette said as the waitress poured her a coffee.

"I slept with Justin," Annie said.

"I knew that," Lucy replied.

"No, I mean like last night… and this morning."

"Wait! You mean like last last night and just a few hours ago morning?" Lucy whispered.

Annie just nodded in confirmation.

"And with Justin Justin?"

Annie nodded again.

"Oh Annie," Lucy sighed.

"I know I’m going to hell."

"I hope you have your will written, plus where’s Scott this weekend?"

"Frat brother's wedding in Atlanta."

"So did you call Justin for this booty call?"

"Really?" Annie asked, looking at Lucy like she had 3 heads.

"Sorry, just had to get it out of the way."

"No, actually I wanted to spend the night by myself, and then he just showed up…"

"Why? Where’s Miss Jessica?"

"She’s in Canada filming I guess," Annie shrugged. "But he came over to apologize for Jessica’s actions during the meeting at work a few weeks ago."

"Well seems like he did more than apologize…"

"Lucy…"

"Sorry, so what exactly happened?"

"Well to help deal with this heart-to-heart we started drinking and had some bread pudding that I made."

"Your bread pudding is dangerous too."

~Meanwhile…

"It’s about time you got back," Trace said as he waited by the front door as Justin walked in handing Trace his truck keys.

"Sorry, but I have this as an apology," Justin smirked handing over a Tupperware container.

Trace gave him a side-eye look, as he took the container and peeked inside.

"Is this what I think it is?"

"Maybe?"

Trace then grabbed some of the contents in the container. "Taste like it… Annie’s mom’s bread pudding?"

"You’re welcome," Justin smirked.

"You slept with her, didn’t you?" Trace shouted as he took the Tupperware to the kitchen.

Justin remained silent until Trace got back to the foyer and ignoring Trace’s question. "Why’d the rush to get your truck back?"

"I gotta pick up the girls from dance class, then take them to a classmates birthday party."

"I’ll go with you," Justin said, as the two men made their way back to the truck.

~Diner~

"So, what are you going to do?"

"I don’t know," Annie whined. "Is it bad that I kinda hope that Scott slept with a bridesmaid, so I don’t feel so bad?"

"Well you guys aren’t married, so I don’t see why not," Lucy shrugged. "If I was you, I would be more worried about Jessica finding out."

"Which at that point, I might as well go into hiding. I don’t get it, Sammie and I get along, but then Jessica wants me to end a 30 plus year friendship. I’ve always got along with J’s girlfriends, but the moment Jess and I met, it’s been death glare and looks since the, ‘I would like you to meet…’"

"Wait, she wanted you to end your friendship?"

"Oh yeah told me backstage at his show at Bridgestone a few weeks ago. I just laughed at her, said nope, and walked out."

"Well you and J have been through a lot together, so there’s that. Maybe the article put her over the edge?"

"Oh don't get me started on that dumb article! And exactly, we have been through a lot together. But then I got to thinking about it, and was like maybe I should end it because I don’t want to be the same kind of person that got in between Brad and I."

"But now you are that person," Lucy pointed out.

"I know," Annie mumbled, hitting her head on the table.

Chapter 15 by addy0316
Author's Notes:

So I guess I should go back to writing as I'm starting to catch up with all the chapters I've written so far :) But I hope you enjoy 

Chapter 15

~In the Truck~

"Well, you now if Jess find out about this, we’re going to be burying Annie or she would go into hiding to never be found."

"That’s why Jessica will never know…" Justin smirked. "So Sammie and Annie get along, and Annie’s got a lot with all my pass girlfriends, so why can’t Jessica and Annie get along? Did you know Jessica wanted Annie to end our friendship?"

Before Trace could reply, they pulled up to the dance studio.

"Daddy you’re late!" Emmy shouted walking towards the truck.

"Yeah, I know, but blame Uncle J, it’s his fault."

"Uncle Justy! You made us late for our friend’s birthday party!" Bella said climbing into the truck and into her car seat.

"Yeah, Uncle Justy!" Trace winked at him, while buckling the girls into their car seat.

"Well sorry…"

 

~Diner~

"So, what are you going to do?"

"Go home and take a nap. I had nothing else planned for the day, maybe do some laundry. Scott doesn’t come back until tomorrow."

"I mean about the Justin situation?"

"I don’t know," Annie whined. 


~Truck~

"Okay girls, mommy will pick you up when the party is over okay?"

"Okay daddy," Emmy said walking away, and into the house where the party was being held. One of the parents waving at Trace.

Waving back Trace got back into the truck and saw Justin texting.

"Who are you texting, or should I even ask?"

"Just texting Jess to see how her shoot is going. But you didn’t answer me, of how do Sam and Annie got along from the start, but yet Jess and Annie can’t even be the same room, well they can but you could cut the tension going on with a knife."

"I don’t know, that would be a question for Sam as I don’t remember how they hit off."

"But Jessica and Sam get a long right?"

Trace shrugged, "I mean they tolerate each other, but they’re not like BFFs or anything…"


~Diner~

Both ladies got up from their booth after paying their bill and headed to the parking lot.

"Keep me update on what happens," Lucy said hugging Annie.

"You know I will. Just please don't tell anyone." Just please don’t tell Molly yet."

"I won’t, you know that," Lucy said breaking the hug.

"I know, I know, I know." I’ll probably call her later," Annie said opening her driver’s side door.

"Sounds good. I love you, you know, that right?"

"Yeah," Annie smiled getting into her car. "I love you right back."

"Thanks babe," Lucy smiled getting into her own car. 

Annie just sat in her car, as Lucy drove out of the parking lot, debating on whether she should tell Scott about what happened, Lucy was right they weren't actually married, so if he did sleep with a bridesmaid then it wouldn't be so bad. 

'After I pick you up tomorrow morning, do you wanna do brunch, cause I think we need to talk,' Annie typed on her phone, then hit send. His flight is coming in at 10:30 in the morning, so brunch would be a perfect chance to talk. It was something she had to do, otherwise she would probably be thinking about it for the rest of the weekend. Pulling out of the parking lot, she headed home. 

Just as she pulled into her driveway, Scott had sent a reply. 

'I was hoping we could talk tomorrow after I get home' 

"Please say he slept with a bridesmaid," Annie mumbled repeatedly before getting out of the car and heading inside.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2974