Look Your Way by Mere
Past Featured StorySummary: Two stars, two assistants, four people, growing up, getting over, starting new and seeing clearer.
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: Season 5
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 52 Completed: Yes Word count: 342210 Read: 199806 Published: Jul 18, 2007 Updated: Feb 11, 2009

1. Chapter 1 by Mere

2. Chapter 2 by Mere

3. Chapter 3 by Mere

4. Chapter 4 by Mere

5. Chapter 5 by Mere

6. Chapter 6 by Mere

7. Chapter 7 by Mere

8. Chapter 8 by Mere

9. Chapter 9 by Mere

10. Chapter 10 by Mere

11. Chapter 11 by Mere

12. Chapter 12 by Mere

13. Chapter 13 by Mere

14. Chapter 14 by Mere

15. Chapter 15 by Mere

16. Chapter 16 by Mere

17. Chapter 17 by Mere

18. Chapter 18 by Mere

19. Chapter 19 by Mere

20. Chapter 20 by Mere

21. Chapter 21 by Mere

22. Chapter 22 by Mere

23. Chapter 23 by Mere

24. Chapter 24 by Mere

25. Chapter 25 by Mere

26. Chapter 26 by Mere

27. Chapter 27 by Mere

28. Chapter 27 (part two) by Mere

29. Chapter 28 by Mere

30. Chapter 29 by Mere

31. Chapter 30 by Mere

32. Chapter 31 by Mere

33. Chapter 32 by Mere

34. Chapter 33 by Mere

35. Chapter 34 by Mere

36. Chapter 35 by Mere

37. Chapter 36 by Mere

38. Chapter 37 by Mere

39. Chapter 38 by Mere

40. Chapter 39 by Mere

41. Chapter 40 by Mere

42. Chapter 41 by Mere

43. Chapter 42 by Mere

44. Chapter 43 by Mere

45. Chapter 44 by Mere

46. Chapter 45 by Mere

47. Chapter 46 by Mere

48. Chapter 47 by Mere

49. Chapter 48 by Mere

50. Chapter 49 by Mere

51. Chapter 50 by Mere

52. Chapter 51 by Mere

Chapter 1 by Mere
Author's Notes:



42nd and Broadway, 1:03 pm

 

It’s days like these that I have to remind myself why I’m where I am and who I am, who I am really deep down inside.    These are the days that grate on my nerves and yet, oddly enough, Angie tells me they are some of the most important days of my career.  Funny, I always thoughts those days were created in the studio or on stage.  But then once again, I’m proved wrong.  Like Courtney, she’s proved me wrong countless times today.  I think she gets some sort of sick pleasure out of it. 

 

But that would make her too much like Leah and, and I don’t want to go there.

 

No, this new chick is just uptight.  She’s the type of girl that always made me nervous when I was younger.  She’s on the ball, has a palm pilot and is constantly on her cell phone or reviewing a schedule.  She’s always dressed classy, not like a suit, but khakis and a button down shirt.  Here I am in these too tight jeans and heels and this push up bra that makes my boobs ache and scratches my nipples.  I mean, lace is pretty an all but really, if you’re not sleeping with anyone it really serves no purpose but to scratch your boobs.

 

I glance over and she’s on her phone.  I think she’s talking to Angie.  She’s probably telling her how it was my fault that I didn’t answer my phone yesterday.  I couldn’t help it.  I was still a bit jet lagged and tired from that club appearance I had to do the night before and wanted a nap on my break, just a one hour nap.  But when I didn’t meet Courtney down in the lobby and didn’t answer the phone when she called to see where I was, I got in big trouble.

 

I was late, an hour late to an MTV interview.   And I know, I know damn well you just can’t be late for those types of things.  But I didn’t go to sleep thinking “ooo I hope I don’t wake up and I’m late.”  I think she thinks that that’s what I want, that I wanted to be late yesterday, that I wanted to rush and freak out, and that I wanted to not only miss an interview but almost be a no show for a live taping of TRL.  She probably really does think that I just don’t care about these interviews.

 

And ya know what?  In a way I don’t.  Shouldn’t the music just be good enough on its own? But I guess not.  I guess when the world wants to know if you really are a party girl, or if I really do have a sexual relationship with my best friend then that’s all that matters.  Who cares if I have a number one single right?

 

I have a number one single.

 

I smile. 

 

It’s been number one for two weeks. 

 

I smile even more and almost laugh.

 

I look over at her again and she’s digging in her purse for something.  It’s like this grandma style purse, big and leather and ugly.  I guess it’s more like a briefcase or a satchel. Man, maybe she needs to get laid.  I laugh.  Maybe I need to get laid.  What the hell am I talking about?  I’ve never been laid in my life, I mean never like a wham-bam moment.  I don’t know why I keep thinking somehow I’ll magically get a man.  In this business I’ll be lucky to get hooked up in the tabloids.  Maybe Jake Gyllenhall.  I think he’s free. Hmm…that’d be hot.  I can see it now: Jake and Mere, together in love on the cover of People.  And I’ve never even met the guy.

 

God, if I have to hear that damn Fur Elise ring tone one more time I’m going to vomit.  I look over and hear, “You have three more interviews this afternoon.  If you are hoping for a break, pray that whoever this is will cancel.”  I roll my eyes and frown.  Could she be more depressing?

 

I guess not.  I guess she could pretend to be a friend and then sell some fake story to US Weekly.  I frown.  You’re supposed to stop thinking about that.  Remain happy, remain calm.  No, Courtney’s good.  She’s very professional, clearly great at her job.  I know Angie wouldn’t have picked her if she didn’t think she could handle it.  Hell, I think Angie wants her to handle me.  But I don’t need handling.  I need her to get off my back, but this new chick has made a permanent home there and it’s starting to really annoy me.

 

I mean, she’s nice and all, I think, but she just needs to live a little.  She doesn’t even think my jokes are funny.  Ok, so most of the time my jokes aren’t funny, but still.

 

She’s on the phone and I know it is someone wanting another interview by the way she sounds.  I hope to God she doesn’t pencil me in.  I already have a full schedule and I can only fake smile and fake peppiness and fake enthusiasm so much.  Thank God the people at my last interview were fairly laid back about everything.

 

“No, I’m sorry Miss Craven is booked all afternoon.  If you give me your name and number I will talk with my client and see if I can schedule a meeting some other time this week.”

 

She calls me Miss Craven on the phone?  The last time I was called Miss Craven was in 11th grade by my math teacher Mrs. Swallsby.  She was 75 and wouldn’t retire.

 

I hear her repeat a telephone number and it sounds familiar, but I don’t know where to place it.  I flip open my own phone and see there are no missed calls and no messages.  Dammit Megan, you were supposed to call me and let me know how your date went last night.  I smile to myself, she better not still be on the date.  Little whore.

 

“Ok, thank you Mr. Ayala, I will call you back as soon as it’s convenient.”

 

My head shoots up and stare at her.  Did she just say…

 

“Mr. Ayala?”

 

She snaps the phone closed and places it in her lap.  She has a piece of paper in her hand.  I know what’s on that paper.  It’s what I wanted so bad to ask for two months ago, what I was too chicken to ask for.  I stare at it.  “Yes, a Mr. Trace Ayala wanted me to pencil you in for a meeting with his client today and I told him you were too busy.”  She stares at me hard.  “Because you are.  You have no time for anything extra.”

 

“Well make time!”  I panic.  She can’t just…no!  I almost laugh.  It’s been too long and I’m not going to just let this opportunity slip by.  How did he know I was in New York?  Wait, how the hell did I not know he was in New York! I shake my head.  I wonder how he got my number and I wonder if maybe he’s had it all along.  I bite my lip and stare at that paper some more.  “You have to call him back and do something for me Courtney, you just have to.”

 

“And you have more interviews and have to get ready for that big party tonight.  You have to go, and I don’t care what you say.  Angie told me you have to stay the entire time. No skipping out.”

 

I plead with her. “Please, just call him back.”

 

“No.”

 

I glare.  And then snatch the paper from her hand before she can file it in her traveling rolodex.

 

“Meredith!”

 

I dial the number as fast as possible and smile to myself before she can do anything about it.  I swear to God if she snatches the phone from my hand I’ll sue her and make Teddy throw her out of this car.

 

It rings and I hear a sigh “This is Trace…”  He sounds annoyed, tired. 

 

I laugh, “What up, mutant?”

 

He laughs deeply, “Is this Lesbo?”

 

“Don’t call me that!”  I hate that nickname.  Actually I don’t mind when Trace calls me that.  Anyone else who says it makes me hate them for life.  But I guess I have a good reason.

 

“So, who was that bitch on the phone?”

 

“That’s my new assistant.  And don’t call her that, she’s just doing her job.”  I glance over and she’s glaring at me.  Ok, so maybe she’s a little bit of a bitch.

 

“Who found her? The label?”

 

“Angie picked her.”

 

“Well tell Angie to unpick her.  She’s way too uptight and I only talked to her for five seconds.”

 

I laugh.  I love Trace. He’s so great.  I wish I had an assistant like him.  He’s always relaxed and laid back and yet knows how to work, when to work and when to just chill.  And he gets things done.  Prompto.  Angie said Courtney had a lot of experience.  Yeah, maybe in plain white toast land but down here in this world we like jelly and butter, none of this hard and dry crap. “She’s only been working a couple of days.”

 

“This might seem odd, but please, if you’re gonna talk about me do it behind my back and not in my face.”

 

I look away and roll my eyes as we crawl through New York.  You’d think it wouldn’t take that long to get a couple blocks down the street.  It probably would have been quicker to walk.  Yeah, I’m sure Teddy would have loved that.  I clear my throat and realize that Trace is just hanging on the other line and he probably knows what I’m about to ask.  So, I go ahead and ask it, “Anyway, um…is Justin around?”

 

I feel my face burn.  God, I’m pathetic.  I can’t even keep a simple crush a secret.

 

“Yeah, he’s just in the other room.  What time you want me to tell him you’re coming?”

 

I sigh and just adore how he assumes I can drop everything and go hang out.  I wish I could.  I wish I didn’t have interview after interview after meeting after dinner party after interview after gag me.  But I do.  "I don’t know if I can..."

 

“You sound sick, Mere.  You need to rest.” I hear laughter and this time I think I can hear his laugh in the background.  Well dammit, if he’s not in the other room let me talk to him, you dumb mutant. 

 

I laugh again.  God, it feels good to laugh.  Like really laugh. Not that fake laugh you do with interviewers and not me having to laugh at myself in front of Courtney to see if she’ll crack a smile.  A real laugh.  "You’re horrible, Mutey."  I don’t know why I call him that.  I guess it’s ‘cause when I spent that week recording with them in LA everyone called him midget and I felt bad for him.  He’s not that short.  He’s taller than me.  So instead of midget I call him mutant ‘cause at the time he wouldn’t shut up about that X-men movie.  Of course he’ll say it’s ‘cause I’m obsessed with his mutantly large penis.

 

And no, I don’t know the size of his penis and I don’t really want to.

 

“Yeah well...boss’s idea.  You get sick and he gets to wear his nurse outfit.”

 

“Hmm, I don’t know.  Short white skirt, keds and a little hat seems worth it.”  I laugh at the image. “Maybe you’re right.”  I clear my throat and start to cough and then try my best to sniffle.

 

"Oh no you don’t."

 

I glance over and she’s not even looking at me.  Just staring at her palm pilot with a scowl.  God, it was a joke.  A joke lady!  I make a mental note to find out where she comes from and make sure never to visit there.

 

“So, where are you guys at?”

 

“The Ritz, baby! Where else?”

 

I suppress the urge to squeal.  It’s the best damn news I’ve heard all fucking day.  I use to stay at the Marriott, a nice suite and all, but now that I’m making big bucks, or whatever those people up Sony say, they’ve upgraded me.   “Really?!”  Ok, stop it Mere.  That kind of was a squeal. 

 

Trace chuckles, “Of course.”

 

“Well, me too.”

 

“You serious, girl?”

 

“That’s what happens when you have a number one single.” I’m not trying to brag.  I’m just so excited.  My first album, well, I’ll be honest.  It was pretty much crap.  I mean, everyone was like, ooo up and coming new artist but no one really bought it.  Yeah it had a couple of decent hits but it was a factory record.  I had little say on it and most of the songs were generic.  And then I was out in LA with my best friend looking to buy me my first house and we went to this club and I met this guy who happened to be best friends and the personal assistant to a very, very famous entertainer.  Then the shit hit the fan and the little session he had scheduled had to be canceled.  I had to deal with the mess that was my life and my career and hope and pray that I wouldn’t be drop kicked back to Georgia.

 

But about a week or two later I got this phone call, a phone call from that entertainer himself, apologizing, though he had no reason to, and rescheduling.  We clicked in the studio, got along really well.  It was a perfect mesh.  We worked all week, for insanely long hours on three songs, one that’s on my album and two that he might put on his.  He got me the connections and introduced me to a lot of people, people who made it possible for me to have a number one single and a hot up and coming album. 

 

And of course I developed a little crush along the way.  But hell, who wouldn’t in my shoes?  He’s attractive and kind and he helped me out when I was, quite honestly, pretty depressed.  My world was flipped, my career almost ruined and he brought all that back for me.

 

“I heard about the single.  It’s a jam girl.  It’s hot.”  That makes me really smile.  “We're on the fifteenth floor, 3012, come up when you get the chance.”  I love how he doesn’t even question it.  He knows I’ll come up.  He knows I’ll figure out some way to come see them.  It’s not that I’m some pathetic teen who swoons over every hot guy.  I think Trace knows that sometimes you need a familiar face once in a while in this business.  I also think he understands how important it is for a girl like me to have someone that I can talk to, who’s been there before, who has the same type of pressures I have and knows how to handle them. I mean really, he’s a veteran in this business at 25.  And even though I’m only a year younger, I’m just starting out.  Plus, I’m pretty much certain that Trace knows I have the hots for his best friend.

 

I sigh and look at the clock.  I haven’t even had a decent lunch yet and it’s almost 1:30.  I bet I won’t even get one today. “It probably won’t be until late. My slave driver says I have back to back interviews until this schmooze fest I have to go to tonight. I don’t wannnaaa..."

 

He clears his throat and says, “Hang on a sec…”  I can hear him talking to someone and he soon comes back over the line “Justin wants to know what time is your schmooze fest over.” 

 

God, I wish I could just talk to him myself. I hate this middle man shit.  I mean I love Trace and all but…I shake my head and say, “hold on…” pulling the phone back from my lips. I look over at Courtney.  “What time do you think we'll be done tonight?”

 

She groans and rolls her eyes towards me.  “Late.”

 

“Just tell me the time.”  She crosses her arms. Don’t make me do it.  She ignores me.  Fuck, I don’t want to whine but I fucking guess I’ll have to.  “Come onnnn, what timeeee Courtney!  Just tell me when we’ll be done tonight.”

 

She seems disgusted with me and smacks her hand down on her satchel. “There is no set time, Meredith.  It’s a dinner party, an important one.  Midnight, maybe?  One a.m.?  I don’t really know.  But I know there’s no time to go have a party with those friends of yours.”

 

She makes it sounds like we are a gang of hoodlums.  It’s Justin and Trace.  Big fucking deal.  We’ll probably just watch TV like we did those late nights, or I guess early mornings, at the studio when we’d take a break and end up just shitting around. “I just have to make an appearance, right?  You know, talk to people, kiss ass, etcetera.”

 

“Angie said you stay from start to finish.”

 

I groan.  I hate this shit.  They are the worst things ever, these stupid parties where I have to go and suck up to people who know nothing about me and think they know something about music ‘cause they sit behind a desk and look at marketing strategies.  Whatever.  They better have a good caterer.  “But I have to be well rested for my interview at Z100 tomorrow morning, right Court?”

 

“Exactly, and that’s why you are going to go to this party until I say so and then you are to come back and go straight to bed.”

 

I shake my head and wave my free hand, “Sure, right. So what time will it be over?”

 

“Meredith…” She rubs her forehead.  Geez lady, get a grip.  I’m not that annoying! I wanna ask her if she needs some Aleve or ibuprofen but she’ll probably just get more pissed off at me.

 

“Just tell me.  Like 10 or 11?”

 

“I’m not telling you.”

 

I growl and say “fine” and move the phone to where I can talk to Trace.  “Let’s say 11, ok?”

 

“Sounds good, Lessy.”

 

I smile and roll my eyes.  “See ya mutant.” I hang up the phone.  This should be a happy moment.  I should be ecstatic that I’m going to see him, and I am.  But the mood is still dampened by Miss Priss beside me who’s acting like me seeing some guy for an hour is gonna cause the Lord to flood the earth again.  She’s probably making a list right now of which animals she still needs to get two of.  “See, that wasn’t so hard.”

 

“What the hell is all this about Meredith?”

 

Damn, she seems so mad.  I try to think back and see if I said anything offensive to her or about her.  I can’t remember.  I even told Trace not to call her a bitch, even though she is one. “Nothing.”

 

“You can not go out and party!”

 

Sometimes I wonder if she thinks the tabloid stories are true.  This whole week, ever since I met her she’s mothered me.  The first night together I just wanted to order a glass of wine, just one fucking glass of wine with my stupid room service of pasta and she flipped out and told me I was going to get drunk and get a hang over and be unprepared in the morning.  Ya know, I think I figured it out.  The bitch is nuts. “I’m not going to party.  I going to go up two floors to see a friend I haven’t seen in a couple of months.  Get over it.”

 

“You mean to have some party in their hotel room!”

 

“I don’t think so.”  I think about it.  A party with Justin?  Nah.  I mean he knows how to party, I’m pretty sure.  But after that week with him out in LA, cooped up in the studio for long hours I bet he’ll be on the couch watching a basketball game or playing play station or something.  Probably in his “jammies.”

 

I feel my face burn and I bite my lip and look out the window. He always looked so cute and comfortable in his sweat pants and a white t-shirt.  And his muscles always looked so fucking awesome in that shirt.

 

Then I hear her groan, again.  This chick is getting old.  Maybe I should call Angie.  “Why are you blushing!  This isn’t the time to have some love affair with some guy you use to know.  You’re too busy for that!”

 

I almost laugh.  Love affair?  Wow, hello drama queen.  But I don’t laugh.  I wish it was a hot love affair.  But I’m sure he sees me as just another sweet girl.  I mean it was nice enough for him to call me up here in New York.  That’s gotta count for something, right?  I shouldn’t get my hopes up.  I mean, yeah, we really clicked back in LA.  And maybe we flirted a little.  But we didn’t kiss, though I wanted to, and I think he was dating someone at the time anyway.  So, whatever.  For all I know he might be married or something by now. 

 

God, I hope not.

 

“It’s not just some guy and it’s not a fucking love affair.  We’re just friends!” I sigh and grab her arm.  She looks at my hand and then me like she wants to say ‘you’ve got to be kidding me’.  “Come on Court, I don’t get to have a lot of friends with my kind of schedule.  And the few that I do have I barely get to see.  Can’t you just give me this rare opportunity to see one of my only friends?  Please.”

 

So it’s a bit of a lie and a smear of a stretch.  I have a bunch of friends but not a lot of close ones, or ones that I’m super comfortable with.  And I do get to see them, but not very often and not for very long periods of time.  And, well, dammit, this isn’t just any old friend.  This is Justin.

 

“Ugh, you aren’t gonna shut up about this are you?” She snatches her arm away quickly and pulls her phone out all disgusted.  “Ya know what, I can’t believe I’m going to do this, but why don’t I give you that one hour with him this afternoon and then tonight you can go to the party and forget about him and do your business.”

 

I stare at her.  For a second I assume she’s joking by her sarcasm, but then she actually flips open the phone and presses a few buttons.  And then I hear, “Yes, hello, this is Courtney Dawson I spoke to you earlier about my client Miss Craven.  She seems to have an open spot around 4:30.  Would that be a good time to schedule a meeting with your client?” She pauses and I smile.  “What do you mean am I serious?  Of course, I’m serious.  Ok, fine then.  It’s settled.  We shall see you then.”

 

She snaps the phone shut and doesn’t look at me when she says, “When we get back to the hotel after interviews you will have one hour, that is it.  Then you have to be in our room to let Shanda get you ready for your dinner.”

 

“Really!” I want to hug her.

 

“After these next few interviews, yes.”

 

“I think I might ask Shanda if she can just bring her supplies up to their room and she can do me up there.  He won’t mind.  Will you call her and ask her for me?”

 

Courtney gives me a skeptical look. “Are you sure your friend doesn’t mind?”

 

“Please…Justin?  He won’t care.”

 

“Justin, who?”

 

I suck in a breath and look at her.  I hope she’s not like Leah.  I mean she’s bitchy, but she can’t be really cold hearted and evil.  She just can’t.  I mean, if she is then maybe, maybe this wasn’t meant to be ‘cause bad luck like that just isn’t right for anyone to have to handle.  I swallow the lump in my throat and look outside. My face feels like it’s burning but this time I’m not blushing. “Just Justin.”

 

If she keeps groaning like that Teddy is going to think she’s getting off back in here in the backseat and I don’t need anyone else thinking I’m a lesbian.  “Now isn’t the time to be getting involved.  You know...if something goes wrong, it’s going to be my neck on the line, not yours. So I guess I can understand why you don’t give a damn.”

 

“Courtney, what’s wrong?  Are you ok?”  I look at her hard.  She wasn’t this bad yesterday.  I mean she was pissed about the nap thing, but still.  Maybe she got her period.  “I mean it’s just an hour and just my friend.  That’s all.  Nothing big.”

 

“Yeah, just like your little nap the other day wasn’t big.  You missed those appointments and whose ass got chewed out by Angie?  I don’t think it was yours.”

 

I shrug and play it off.  I really was sorry about that.  And I told her that, like five thousand times yesterday.  But if she keeps bringing it up like this I really am gonna stop caring. “Well, you were supposed to wake me up.”

 

“What do you think the constant ringing was?  Just in your little head?  It was the damn phone!”

 

“But I had it on vibrate.”  It was the truth.  I always have it on vibrate cause if not I’ll forget to turn the ringer off in recording or interviewing.  The car starts to pull to a stop in front of some radio station and I watch her as she gathers all her things and snaps them shut in her little case. 

 

She looks up at me and glares, “That’s exactly my point.”

 

Now what the hell does that mean?  Dammit, all this fighting with her has now given me a headache and I didn’t even have time to listen to my ipod and relax a little before this radio station starts tearing me apart and asking me the same damn questions.

 

They’ll ask me about the tabloids and they’ll ask me to describe the single and the album, and they’ll ask me what I’ve been doing in New York and they’ll ask me about the people I worked with and I’ll give them pretty much the same damn answers I’ve given everyone else today.  But maybe it’ll be different.  Maybe they’ll ask me some off the wall questions. Maybe they’ll ask me about Justin.  They’ll ask me how it was working with him, what we worked on together, how he is in person.

 

And I’ll be honest, and I’ll tell them he’s amazing.  I’ll tell them he’s sweet and hilarious and such a talent.  He was amazing with me in that studio.  He could push me where no one has pushed before.  God I wish he could have done my whole album.  Maybe we’d know each other better.  I wanna get to know him so much better.  He was incredible to work with, incredible to be around.  Something about him calmed me, settled my nerves, enabled me to get over any outside shit or to use it as fuel to spawn creativity. 

 

I find myself biting my nails as we walk into the building, I know I shouldn’t but I can’t contain my excitement.  I wonder what he looks like now, how his hair is, it wasn’t long but wasn’t shaved when we were in the studio.  And he’d always wear that damn Green jacket.  And I remember one day when we were recording I made fun of his beard calling him a lumberjack and the next day he came in with a baby face all clean shaven and smooth.  I…I remember him telling me to feel his face and we were alone in the studio and close and I was hoping he’d kiss me.  I remember him licking his lips and looking like he was going to, looking like he wanted to.  

 

But he didn’t. 

 

And now he’s looking me up in New York and I don’t know what that means.  I want to think that it means more than just a friendly chat.  I want to think that maybe he’s missed me.  But I know he’s probably just being polite, probably just wants to know how promotion is going.  But that’s something and I’ll take it.  I’ll take anything.

 

“You keep biting your nails, Polebutt up there is gonna get pissed at you.”

 

I giggle at the nickname Teddy has given her.  He’s convinced she has a pole up her butt and I’m starting to believe that theory.  Sometimes I wish Teddy was my personal assistant.  He’d probably be horrible at it.  He’d always making fun of me and if I asked him for something he’d just give me this look or say something like, “Until your legs get chopped off in a freak helicopter accident, your tiny ass can get it cha self.”  He’s been with me since the beginning and I trust him with my life.

 

He was there for me when Leah morphed into a psycho bitch and he was there for me when I got really sick.  And that time that guy got into the floor of my hotel room and practically jumped me, he was there, right there to protect me.  It’s amazing how I have all these people to do things for me, to protect me, to keep me in line, keep me grounded, to be a shoulder.  I have a team of professionals around me, Angie, Courtney, Shanda, Teddy and lots of others, not to mention Megan who, well if it weren’t for her, some days I wouldn’t be able to keep my head up. 

 

And yet, there’s something missing and probably fifteen minutes ago I wouldn’t have realized it.  But now, knowing that I’m going to see him and unsure about what that means makes me realize that I really, really miss that.  It’s been years since I’ve had a boyfriend and just as long since I’ve even kissed someone.  And it’s been about as long since I’ve liked someone, like really truly liked someone.  Not just found them attractive but to completely melt when they look at you.  That’s what Justin does for me.  I should be over it.  I should’ve been over it long, long before.  But I’m not.

 

“You’re gonna get to see Tiny today.  You know, Justin Timberlake’s bodyguard.”  I say quietly to Tiny as Courtney has now met up with someone who’s leading us back further into the building.

 

“For real? I haven’t seen T-man in a while.  You gonna hang out with your man?”

 

I gasp a little.  I wish he were mine.  “My man?”

 

“Girl, don’t play that coy shit.  I know you want his junk.”  I smack him in the arm but it doesn’t do anything more than make him laugh.  As much as he can annoy me and pick on me like a big brother, I’m so glad he’s here.  Without him I don’t think I’d be able to handle the days with this new girl.  I still haven’t figured her out and I’m still pretty sure I’m not gonna like her.  She’s so good at her job, almost too good and she has me doing a whole lot of stuff I’ve never had to do before.  I mean, I know this album is supposed to be a bazillion times better and bigger than my old one, but still…

 

I look a head of me and see that she’s turned around staring hard at me.  “You need to hurry up, they’re about to put you on the air!”

 

I want to say something back.  But I don’t.  I just smile and nod my head and then roll my eyes when she looks away. I think I’m going to have to call Angie.  I hate to do it.  But this new chick is just not going to work.
Chapter 2 by Mere

The Ritz, 4:32 p.m.

 

I don’t think this is going to work. I should probably call Angie. Hell, I probably should have told her yesterday that this wasn’t going to work. It’s not that I don’t like her. She’s a sweet girl, she’s just…she’s not what I expected, at all. I mean, I figured there would be times when I’d have to keep her in line or remind her of her schedule. But it’s not like she’s new to this. I thought she had another album with some hits before this one. She acts like she doesn’t care, like all she wants to do is party.

 

Angie and other people have told me that what her old assistant did to her was horrible, and that it was all lies. But maybe she just got ticked off with all of Meredith’s carelessness. I’m supposed to be an assistant, not a fucking babysitter. And she acts like she has no friend in the world. She has friends. I know she does. She’s almost always on the phone or messaging people on her Sidekick. Wanna talk about no friends and no life, come visit my world. I’m pretty much stressed for 16 hours of my day, worried about where she’s supposed to be, what’s she’s supposed to be doing. I’m supposed to get her whatever she needs, to make her comfortable and keep her healthy. The other 8 hours I try to sleep, but in this business the mornings are early and the nights are long and that 16 hours can easily turn into 20, or worse.

 

But I’m use to it. And I love my work.

 

I love my work if my work is easy to deal with. And Meredith is not easy work.

 

I can see how this type of work that she’s doing now is stressful and annoying, but it’s a part of the business and if she doesn’t want to deal with it then she should get a new job. I know that seems harsh, but it’s the truth. I’ve been around long enough to see how this business breaks people, how tough you have to be. I might have had a bird’s eye view of the action, but it’s a view none the less. You have to have a damn strong backbone to be able to work in these conditions.

 

Unless you get lucky.

 

There are some people in my position who have it made, who get to be best friends with their clients. Some start out that way, others build up to that kind of relationship. Well, Meredith and I won’t. I can tell you that right now. Too different, too much. In fact, it’s that name that I kept thinking about today that makes me dwell on it. Trace Ayala. I wondered and wondered all afternoon while I was waiting on her to finish her interviews about where I had heard that name before. It hit me about a minute ago who he was and how I knew that name.

 

In the world of personal assistants, Trace Ayala has it made. Word has it he is excellent at his job. Everyone knows who he is and apparently he can get anything done quickly and efficiently for his client. He’s good at rearranging schedules and making sure no one, or as few as possible, get pissed off in the process. And on top of it his salary is outrageous and his client happens to be his best friend.

 

“Justin Timberlake.” I sigh and shake my head.

 

“What?” I look over and she looks nervous. We’re in the elevator, going up to whatever floor their suite is on. She looks nervous, scared a little. It’s cute in a way, I guess. I mean, you can tell she has a crush, but it’s also annoying. I do not have time to play matchmaker or cover up or best friend for her to cry on if he doesn’t like her back. This is going to be a problem.

 

“I figured it out that that was who this mysterious Justin was.”

 

“How the hell did you do that?”

 

She’s glaring at me now and normally this type of behavior would send me over the edge and piss me off, but when it comes to this kind of stuff I can’t really blame her lack of trust. She was screwed over, no matter how much I’d like to say she deserved it, or how I hoped it smacked some reality into her, I can’t. It was pretty bad. I read the story myself and it was pretty awful what that lady claimed to know about her.

 

Maybe that’s why she’s so slack in everything. Maybe she’s purposefully making me hate her so that I can’t like her and she can’t like me. Maybe she’s afraid of us becoming friends and then me fucking her over. But I have no need to take pictures and fabricate a story to US Weekly. She’s, well, her manager, is paying me more than enough and I have no desire for fame and I don’t think she could do anything to make me mad enough to want to disgrace her in print.

 

When I took this job I barely knew who she was besides the bit of information I had heard from just being around and catching Access Hollywood every now and then. When Angie McCrawley called me up and said she heard from a friend that I was a really good assistant, I was shocked. I thought no one knew me, and if they did, I never thought they’d recommend me. She said she had a friend at Whitham that heard of me and recommended me. I was pretty sure that everyone at Whitham hated me, especially after everything that was said about me. And after all that I said in return.

 

But I was called in for an interview. I liked Angie from the start. She’s very personable but down to business. I could tell she didn’t take any crap, and I like that. We sat in her office and talked for a bit about what I wanted to do with my career and how I would feel about being a personal assistant, then we went to lunch. I guess you could say we hit it off. We aren’t best friends by any means, and I wouldn’t tell her any lame secrets I might have or go to her just to talk, but she’s professional and seems good at her job and we have quite a bit in common.

 

I’m just not so sure why she gave me so much responsibility in my first week. It’s been four days, no…three. Shit, it’s only been three days. I met Meredith on Sunday, we all had dinner. She was quiet, I could tell she was nervous and after a few days of seeing her on the phone with her friends, seeing her in interviews and seeing her with Teddy, I know now that she had a huge wall built up that night. She was terrified of me.

 

Maybe she still is.

 

The next day I met them early at the hotel and helped her get ready for her day. Since she was going to dance practice and then going straight to a meeting, Shanda came as well. She’s a nice girl, but when her and Meredith are around each other and I’m there I definitely feel like a third wheel, like I’m an intruder. Hell, if there’s anyone Meredith knows around I feel like a third wheel, even with mostly silent Teddy. She has a bond with all these people and I don’t. I’m just here, getting in her way and bossing her around.

 

But that’s my job. And I’m damn good at it. At least I hope so.

 

I sigh and look over at her and she’s still glaring. Teddy’s eyeing me and looks like he’s about to laugh. Then I realize that she just asked me a question. “Oh, well I remembered that name, Trace Ayala, from some friends who knew him or knew someone who knew him. He’s kind of his own little celebrity in the PA world. It just all clicked a minute ago.” I guess in a sense that’s a lie. I don’t really have friends, but I’ve been around enough to know about Mr. Ayala. For the past half year I’ve been trying to move out of the corporate world down to personal assistantship. It was a no use until Angie called me. But most everyone I talked to told me it was no use unless I became an “Ayala.” I didn’t understand what that meant for a while and finally broke down and asked.

 

I don’t know why I just lied about having friends. I guess in a way I want to seem cooler to her than I really am. I have no friends. My best friend is my career. And my career is my well being and that’s that. I know it’s lame and I know I seem like a pathetic workaholic but work makes me happy and even though this girl is too much to handle, I guess I’d much rather be doing this than sitting at home…alone, with nothing to do.

 

That still doesn’t mean that me and this girl are gonna work out.

 

“Right.” She’s still looking at me funny when the door dings and opens onto the 15th floor. I almost forget that that elevator man is there.

 

“Fifteenth floor Miss Craven.”

 

She thanks him and lets Teddy, who’s funny as hell, though I try not to laugh at his jokes cause they’re normally vulgar beyond words, walk out in front of us and scan the hallways, before leading the way to room 3012.

 

When we reach the door she knocks and I quietly say, “Remember you only have an hour.”

 

She ignores me and I roll my eyes. This isn’t a good sign. And to make matters worse my cramps are starting to flare up again. The door opens a little bit and a face comes into view before the entire door swings open and a man is smiling back at us, well, I guess at Meredith. He’s short, about my height and wearing a camouflaged hat, a red shirt, jeans, and socked feet. He looks like he hasn’t shaved all day or the day before, but has a bright smile and immediately hugs Meredith calling her a lesbian or something.

 

Must be an inside joke, at least I hope it is.

 

I watch as she slips inside and scampers off somewhere further in the room. Teddy marches right on in and I see that behind the man who opened the door there is another tall, oversized black man standing up and shaking Teddy’s hand. Weird. It’s like they’re twins. Even their clothes almost match.

 

I guess I should follow them in. I go to step through the doorway but someone blocks me and I look up to see that guy, I assume he’s the infamous Trace, staring back at me. His smile looks a little too smug for my liking and he says, “Sorry, private party.”

 

I shake my head. If that was a joke it was a poor one. “Excuse me?”

 

But apparently it’s not a joke and the door is slammed in my face. And now I’m pissed off. I’m pretty sure he called me a bitch on the phone to Meredith. This kid won’t know the meaning of the word when I’m done with him. How dare he shut the door like that? I can hear laughter and my stomach starts to churn. Stuff like this isn’t supposed to affect me, but I still get that feeling like I’m back in middle school and Bobby Nowells just pushed me down, stomped on my glasses and stole my lunch while everyone watched and laughed.

 

Thank God for contacts.

 

“You guys!” I hear faintly through the door and right before I’m about to go downstairs, order room service and a movie and forget about everything for the rest of the night before I call Angie and quit, the door cracks open and a hand pulls on my arm. “Come on Courtney, he’s just being a dick.”

 

I don’t want to go in now, now that I’ve been marked a target for their jokes. That wasn’t even that funny of one. I go in and give my death stare to the Trace guy. I take back everything I said about him apparently being a god at his job. He’s the devil incarnate sent along with Meredith to make my life hell. Of course, he’s not even paying attention to me, doing something in the kitchen while I just stand there awkwardly. Teddy and Tiny are set up at the table already into a game of cards. Meredith prances over to the couch. Justin is laying there staring at the TV and not paying me or her any attention as he lays there sprawled out in jeans and a white shirt and socks on the couch. God, what is it with these guys and their matching outfits. He’s also got a camouflaged hat on his head and it’s tipped so low that if I didn’t know any better he could be asleep.

 

I continue to stand there and be ignored. Soon Trace is crinkling into a bag of chips, sitting on a chair near the couch, Tiny and Teddy are deep into a discussion, though I can’t hear them. Both their voices are quiet and low. And Meredith, she’s laying on the couch with Justin, her body opposite to his and her laughter filling the room as his feet keep purposely pushing into her face.

 

She keeps laughing and pushing his feet away and smacking his legs and telling him to stop. He laughs and you can see his smile from where I’m standing.

 

They’re pathetic. But I guess not as pathetic as I look, standing here with my big ass satchel hanging on my shoulder, all alone. I’d sit down and join them, but I haven’t even really been invited in here. I was shut out and then drug in. What the hell am I supposed to do?

 

“When those beers getting here, Trace?”

 

I groan. The last thing she needs is a party. I thought this was just a visit with friends. I jump when there’s a knock behind me and Trace pushes himself off the chair and smiles, “Right there.” This is not good. I continue to just stand there and watch as a bell boy comes in with a tray of food and a 12 pack. Great… The next thing I know Justin and Meredith are sitting up on the couch. He’s chomping into a burger, she’s eating his fries and Trace is handing them each a beer.

 

Oh hell no. I can’t let this happen. Not because I’m Miss Anti-alcohol or anything, but because I can see where this is heading. She’s going to be drunk and sleepy and it’ll be my ass that gets reamed.

 

“I don’t think so Meredith. You can’t get drunk before your party tonight.”

 

She looks at me and it’s a strange look. She looks embarrassed and grits her teeth as if she wants me to shut up. Well, it’s my job to keep her in line, dammit. I can’t have her drunk before the damn party.

 

“It’s just one beer Courtney, it’s not going to do a thing.”

 

I hear Justin laugh with a mouth full of food, “Yeah right, light weight.” She smacks him on the shoulder and threatens him with a ketchup drenched French fry. I roll my eyes.

 

“And don’t eat too much either, if you go to that party tonight and not eat, people will start talking. You know Angie will be complaining about how you need to eat better and how you better not get anorexic.”

 

I get that look again but it’s with a glare, a glare that rivals my death stare. “Thanks, mother.” She rolls her eyes at me. I’ve seen her do it before, but not that bad and normally she tries to hide the fact that she does it. She’s pissed now, but oh well. So am I, dammit.

 

“Yeah, fatty, you better watch what you eat.” They all laugh and she stands up and leans over Justin to swat at Trace.

 

“Meredith! Are you even listening to me?”

 

They all stop and stare at me. Ok, maybe that was a little much, but this isn’t high school. She’s got a job to do and so do I.

 

“Courtney, right?” I’m utterly lost when I hear him say my name. Justin’s standing up now and walking towards me. “Do me a favor and go down to the lobby and get me a paper, why don’t you?” He smiles at me, that charming, million dollar smile that’s supposed to make girls melt.

 

It fucking makes me want to punch him.

 

I don’t realize it but I stand up on my tip toes to try and make me closer to his height. “Sorry, I don’t work for you.” I shoot my arm out and point at Trace. He’s just sitting there with a smirk on his face. I should punch him, too while I’m at it. “Why don’t you get your little assistant over there to help you, isn’t that his job? Make him go be your gopher.”

 

“He was just being polite.” I hear him call across the room. I move my eyes from Justin over to Trace. “What he was trying to say was, get the fuck out and stop spoiling our fun.”

 

I smile and glance at Meredith. She’s just staring at me and chewing on a fry. “No problem. Have a great time.”

 

I swallow my pride and my anger for a minute and turn on my heels and march out the door. Of course I reach behind me and slam it as hard as I can. I kind of want to do it again. It felt good. I could also scream, but I really doubt the Ritz would appreciate that. I can wait to get back to my room and do into the pillow. A bath, a nice hot bath, that would also do me good.

 

Then I’m calling Angie. Definitely, calling Angie.

 

I get to the elevator and press the down button. As soon as I do I hear, “Hey, wait up.”

 

I don’t want to turn around. And I’m not quite sure why I do. But there he is, beer bottle still in his hand, smirk still on his face.

 

Fucking little shit.

 

“Leave me alone.”

 

“Look, I understand you’re new and all, but I need to talk to you about how you’re acting.”

 

The nerve he has coming out here and wanting to lecture me. I clench my fist and control the urge to just go off on him. “Oh…How I’m acting? What about how Meredith is acting? Or how you guys are acting? Ya know what? I don’t care. You’re both just dicks. But she has a huge couple of days ahead of her and all she can think about is her social life? That would be just fine if the industry was sure she was going to flop. But she’s not going to, she’s probably going to do really well, and if something fucks up, it’s going to be on me. So go fuck off.”

 

His voice remains calm. It makes me sick. How can he just stand there and be so laid back about everything? “Yeah, ok. So she has a huge couple days ahead of her and maybe, just maybe so she doesn’t go completely crazy, she needs to be around a friend for just a little bit. Stop mothering her, that’s not what you were hired to do.”

 

“What the fuck do you know about what I’m supposed to do? Did you hire me?”

 

He laughs and gives me a look. Oh, how cute you little fucker. “I know because I’ve been doing this for more than five years.”

 

“Right.” I laugh and cross my arms before stepping up to him. I laugh again. I don’t have to use my tip toes with him. “I’ve heard about you. You’re the golden PA, Justin’s Timberlake’s PA is almost God himself. But that’s ‘cause you’ve known him your whole life. You know what to say to get him to do things. I’ve know this little girl a week. She’s immature and disorganized and going to ruin her career and mine in the process if she's not careful.”

 

“Ya know what? Yeah, maybe I have known Justin my whole life, but it doesn’t mean I don’t know what I’m doing. Hell, my ass is on the line too if something goes wrong. They can ship me right back to bumfuck Tennessee if they want to.”

 

I roll my eyes, turn around and thank God the doors are opening. “If you have anything else you better say it now because I’m leaving.”

 

“Just butt out. That’s all I’m trying to say. You do your job and let her do her thing. Let her still be herself. That’s all you can do.”

 

I step into the elevator and lean over and press the door open button. “Let her do her thing? Her thing is to lay in bed all day, watch TV and go party.”

 

“And you’ve known her how long?”

 

I shrug. “A week…”

 

“I’d say give it just a tad bit longer before you start judging her. She’s probably more stressed than you can imagine right now. And I’m sure she’s exhausted. And I know, I know that you are, too. So don’t start. But think about it. You don’t have to look pretty for cameras and thousands of people. And you don’t have to make sure you say the exact perfect thing every time someone asks you a question. So just back the fuck off.”

 

“Whatever…go back to your little party.” I take my hand off the button and he turns to walk back down to their little orgy or whatever the fuck they’re going to do. I don’t understand why he’s sticking up for her. He must want to bang her or something. That’s all guys ever want. I hope she has fun when her career is going down the toilet. “Oh and Trace?” He turns and the doors start to close. “If she’s not back down in the room in 45 minutes, you better tell your client that he won’t be seeing any more of my client.”

 

The doors shut and I ignore the look that the little elevator guy is giving me and press the “10” button myself. I’m thankful for the escape and the solitude and not some old man in a cheesy suit is gonna ruin that for me. I think this is going to be much more than I can handle. I can’t deal with all this, an uncooperative co-worker, her friends being utterly rude and disrespectful, and an attitude that seems not to give a shit what happens. I just can’t handle her and her lifestyle. I wanted to really get into this part of the business, get out of the stuffy world of the office and into the dirt where things are unexpected. But not this unexpected.

 

When the doors open again and he says “10th floor, miss” to me and I nod at him. I step out and make my way down to the end of the hall where our room is. It’s nice with a lovely view, but I’ve barely been able to look out the window during the day light. I walk in and realize how much of a mess it is. It’s not trashed and there aren’t beer bottles and dirty thongs hanging out like this Motley Crue or something, but suitcases are all around, there’s even a clothing rack with her clothes on that Shanda brought over. Some of my lap top gear is still sprawled out on the table by the window and I see that Teddy didn’t close up that bag of ChipAhoy he was munching on this morning. Cookies for breakfast, I guess when you’re a bodyguard you do pretty much whatever the hell you want. And I’m coming to find out if you are a semi-sensational singer you get to do the same.

 

I haven’t even really heard her first album. She had this one hit on the radio. I think it was called “Take it On” or something. It was catchy but nothing more than every other mediocre pop song out there. Her new song I can’t get away from. It’s all over and it should be if it’s a number one single. It’s much harder than the other one I guess, more contemporary I assume. It’s hard not to hear “Tie Me Down” when flipping on the radio. But I don’t know. I’m not much into the pop or R&B scene. Definitely not into this clubby dance type music. It’s amazing too, because all this promotion stuff seems to drain her like nothing else. But the first morning I had with her, the day after I met her, we got up early like we have all week and she went to a dance studio and rehearsed, just her and this guy. I think his name was Derrek. Teddy nodded off listening to his ipod and I sat down and did some work on my laptop. But I watched her, too and she really worked hard that morning. I would look up and she was dancing her ass off. And she’s good. I wish I could get that kind of dedication and enthusiasm with all the crap I have to send her to.

 

I sit down and look out over Central Park. It’s amazing how I’ve worked in this city for years, been here countless of times before that, but I’ve never really spent time at the park. I’ve never really been able to enjoy myself, to take in the sights, to experience New York. Maybe that’s my problem. Maybe that little Trace guy was right. Maybe I needed to let her do her thing and do my own and relax. But I can’t afford to do that. I took this job not as an easy out or something that would just be crazy and fun all the time. When they called me and told me about this job, I was excited and looking forward to the intensity and the hectic lifestyle. I wanted to work hard and be busy. I like that. I like being on the go.

 

But this is like running on an inclined treadmill. I’m only getting more tired and more sweaty. I’m so pissed off right now that maybe I should take her lead, go downstairs to the bar and have me a beer or two. How would she like it if I got drunk? One of these days she’s going to be sorry, she’s going to fuck up and I’m not gonna be there to clean up her mess.

 

I’m not a quitter, though. I never have been. People have tried to label that on me in the past, but no. I never ever quit. I have to try harder, and I have to give this another chance, but I’m almost certain it’s not going to work out. She’s not feeling me either and while I don’t blame her it’s not my fault that her old PA did shit to her. It’s not my fault, yet I still feel sorry for her. It’s one thing to sell a story, a fabricated one, to the tabloids. It’s another to claim to be someone’s close friend and personal assistant and then to get pictures to solidify your claim. Clearly, Meredith isn’t a lesbian. But when you have photographs of her and her best friend in their underwear, blatantly drunk and cuddling in bed and kissing each other on the mouth, it makes for a really juicy story.

 

I guess if Justin returns this crush she has it’ll make for a bigger story, a story that will take over the other one and mask it. Or just make it more interesting. But I could care less about silly pop star politics and tabloid stories. I’m really debating whether I should call up room service and tell them to bring up a bottle of wine. I could just go sit on the little balcony and drink the bottle and smoke some cigarettes and forget about my day.

 

This is bad news. I shouldn’t want to get drunk on the job. I shouldn’t feel like I need that to relax. Maybe I’ve taken on more than I can handle. Or maybe I just don’t want to have to handle this. I’ve never been a quitter, but it’s only been a week and I’m already sure that it’s been a week too long.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3 by Mere

Room 3012, 1:39 a.m.

 

Not even Food Network is working. And that really sucks ass. Normally I can just plop on the couch, turn it to the food channel and I’ll drift asleep in no time. But they’re having an Iron Chef America marathon and I love this shit. So I’m watching it. But I guess I know that that’s really not the reason I can’t fall asleep. I guess a part of me wants to stay up. I know it’s over by now and I know there was little chance of her showing up to begin with, but she said she’d try.

 

But it’s late and I’m supposed to fly back to LA tomorrow and I should be cooler than staying up while everyone else is snoring in hopes that some hot chick will knock on my door.

 

And damn, was she looking hot today. When I first met her, actually before that, when I saw her picture and her video and stuff, I thought she was cute. But then when I met her and we worked together in LA, I don’t know, there was just something about her. She’s different than a lot of girls in the business. She’s still real, still got that normal everyday girl thing about her. And she’s cute and funny. Got a great laugh. And she’s hot.

 

God, I think she’s gotten even hotter since I saw her last. I guess she was all done up for her interviews today. I don’t know. It’s probably silly. I don’t know her that well. We spent that week pretty much together 24/7, but that was two months ago and she’s busy and I’m going to be getting busy really soon with all my shit that’s coming out. Starting something with her is probably a stupid idea. She doesn’t have the time or the energy to be worrying about me. Plus I’m sure the press would just love it if we were together and that would create more stress that I know she can’t deal with right now.

 

And that girl can deal with a lot, I’ve seen it. But she’s still new, and she sometimes doesn’t know how to vent all her frustration. Trace likes her a lot, which is a good thing, ‘cause he didn’t like the last two chicks I dated. I guess I didn’t either. I don’t know, though. That new assistant she has is going to be a pain if, if anything happens.

 

I shouldn’t even think that it would. For all I know she only likes me as a friend. Trace tells me it’s obvious she has a crush on me, but I don’t know. I’ve always been weird about reading these signals women send me. When we were in the studio I thought she might have a crush on me, but I don’t know. I never know. She was going through a rough time and I tried my best to make her smile and see her through it, so maybe she was just appreciative. But there were times when I hoped it was more. Several times I wanted to kiss her, once I almost did, but I chickened out. That’s weird for me. Normally I go for it and accept the consequences that come after, whether they hate it or love it. But this time I was too scared to kiss her, too scared that she might turn me down. Too scared she might go, “oh Justin, I’m sorry. I don’t like you like that.” And then my hopes would be crushed.

 

It’s pathetic. I haven’t crushed on a girl this bad since, well damn, Britney. I don’t know if that’s a good sign or not. I mean, sure I’ve had girls since then, I’ve dated around, slept around, even called a few my girlfriends, but they’ve never possessed me like this. I could always get them out of my mind if I tried hard enough. But nothing is working for this girl, and it’s not just that I’m really horney and she’s really hot and I want her or something. It’s not about that.

 

Ok, so it’s about that a little bit but there’s more to her than just sex. Hell, she might not even like sex, I don’t know. Well, that one song we did together is pretty fucking sexy. Yeah, she probably likes sex.

 

Dammit, this isn’t good. I gotta stop. Ok Food Network, distract me. It’s Bobby Flay versus this little nerdy looking chef guy. Flay always fuckin’ wins. I probably won’t win tonight either. I think Mere might be a little out of my league, just a little. She wouldn’t know what to do with a guy like me anyway.

 

For all I know she doesn’t even want a relationship now. Hell, I don’t know if I even want one. I love relationships. Some of my best times have been with girlfriends, but so have some of my worst times. It’s getting to the point where I have to wonder if I really want that kind of commitment or if I just want, ya know, someone in my bed with me at night. I guess it’s a sleazy thing to say that I just want a fuck buddy, but it’s been a while. I mean, three months is a while, right?

 

A girl like her wouldn’t want to just be my fuck buddy.

 

At least, I don’t think.

 

Yeah, I definitely don’t want to have to deal with the whole tabloid craze that comes with a relationship. Right now I need to be working on finishing up this album so I can get it out and get on tour and get back to what I love doing. I can find any old girl to be with at night. That’s what I’ll do on tour.

 

But I don’t want any old girl.

 

Dammit, I haven’t had someone cloud my mind like this in forever. I just, I can’t get her out, ya know? It’s what made me tell Trace to call her today. I heard that she was in town and thought maybe I’d run into her. But I tried not to make a big deal about it. But then I kept wondering about her and how she’s been doing and how her album finished up and if she liked working with Tim and Jason and just, ya know, how things were.

 

And I started wondering about her, about how she had been doing. If she was still stressed and worried about what that bitch did to her. If…if she needed to talk to anyone. And so I made Trace call. I’m really glad I did. ‘Cause she was looking fine today, and she seemed to be happy, tired, no exhausted, but happy.

 

Well, happy besides this new assistant of hers.

 

I gotta get rid of that girl for her. Ya know, I probably can find her someone better. I got connections and I know some people. Hell, maybe Rachel would want to fly out for a little bit until we find someone who really fits with her. I just, whatever I do I gotta help her with this. I gotta get this Courtney girl out of her way.

 

And out of mine.

 

I stretch and stand off of the couch and flick the TV off. The lights are off in the den area, Trace and Tiny are already asleep. I scratch my head and throw the blanket I had been under on to the couch and shuffle my way over to the door to my bedroom. Halfway there I hear a faint knock. At first I think it’s my imagination but then it comes again, slightly louder.

 

I walk over and peer through the peephole.

 

I smile.

 

The door opens and I grin at her, standing there with her glasses on, boxers, a t-shirt and her dark hair pulled back. “Is it too late?” She whispers.

 

I shake my head and open the door wider, “Not at all, come on in.”

 

“It’s dark, were you asleep?”

 

I laugh, she’s still whispering. God, she’s so cute at times. “Just heading that way. You have good timing.” I pull her in and lock the door behind us before leading her towards my room. She immediately goes in, turns on the nightstand light, and plops down on the bed, making herself at home and fluffing the pillow under her head. I grin and shut my door. She looks good there, laying in jammies on my bed. Shit, this isn’t good.

 

The last thing I need is a fucking hard on while I’m wearing basketball shorts.

 

“How was the party?” She makes her head fall down, closes her eyes and fake snores. I laugh. “That bad, huh?”

 

She curls up on her side and hugs one of the pillows to her chest. She shrugs and I move to sit down on the bed with her. I guess that’s kind of a bold thing to do, but well, she was the one laying with me on the couch earlier and she’s the one that made herself at home in my bed. And she’s the one that’s turning me on by just laying there and looking cute. “The food was pretty good, and so were the cocktails, but I only got to have two the whole night, one with dinner and then another before we left.”

 

“Why’s that?” She rolls her eyes. I’ve noticed that she does that a lot and while I guess it’s kind of an immature habit, it doesn’t annoy me when she does it. Normally, it’s a pet peeve. God, I sound like a fucking dork getting all gushy over this chick. But Mere, well, she’s different than any other chick, and for the first time in a while I really feel something for a woman. It’s more than just wanting to sleep with her. It’s actually a whole hell of a lot more.

 

“’Cause my slave driver said I couldn’t.” She says with a yawn.

 

Yeah, that girl has got to go. Ya know, she’s probably a nice girl underneath that tough business woman wannabe attitude. But she just can’t act like that in this business. Sure, Mere needs some guidance, but trying to whip her into shape and boss her around is just going to make a girl like her close off and not care about anything you have to say. Courtney needs to either shape up or get the hell out. ‘Cause she might think she knows what’s best for Meredith, but she doesn’t know how in the hell to make it happen or get her “client” to make it happen. “That girl ain’t right.”

 

I shift onto my stomach and hold my upper body up with my elbows. It seems to solve my fear of getting a hard on for a moment, and I let my eyes travel over her for the first time to really appreciate the look of her smooth legs and the curve of her breasts under her loose fitting shirt as she pulls the pillow away from her. She grins at me and then smacks me with the damned thing before pulling it back and using it as a shield. I guess I needed that smack and she knows by now that given any chance I’ll start to tickle her. In fact in LA, when we were recording I touched her back while she was at the boards listening to playback, and she jumped and then laughed and said, “Don’t touch me. I’m extremely ticklish.” It was probably the worst thing she could say to me ‘cause then of course I tickled her like mad there on the couch. Trace got the whole thing on video and then she pissed her pants. She literally pissed her pants. Then she threatened to rub her pee stained pants in our faces if we didn’t give her the camera and let her erase the footage.

 

Of course we let her erase it. We might be asses at times but we know when enough is enough. I guess in a weird way that was what made me start to like her. I know, crazy right? A girl pisses her pants and I start to like her, but really. I guess it took some guts to stand up to us after such an embarrassing moment. She knew how to dish it right back and didn’t run off screaming and cussing at me. She laughed at herself and made Trace go rent Billy Madison just for that “pee your pants is cool” part. And I can remember laying there on the couch in the dark of the studio, watching it on Trace’s laptop but really watching her shift and try to get comfortable laying on the floor, and trying to gather up the courage to ask her to lay with me. But I kept thinking that’d be awkward with Trace in the room. I don’t know why, Trace has seen me do worse things than just lay on a couch with a girl.

 

You ain’t right. I hope she didn’t wake up when I left.”

 

“Oh, did someone sneak out?”

 

“Maybe. And hey,” She smiles at me and leans closer. “I told you if I came back tonight you were supposed to be in your leather thong.”

 

I lean closer to her and think how great it would be to just lay a kiss on her right now. “It’s underneath.”

 

“Oh really?”

 

“Wanna see?” I wink at her and she starts to laugh.

 

Damn, what a laugh. I find myself just looking at her and smiling as she laughs. I call her a ‘silly girl’ and she calms down after a while and closes her eyes like she’s tired. I decide to move my body a bit, turning onto my side like her, not caring about the fear of the hard on anymore. In fact, I’m starting to think Trace is right. Just, just by the way she’s looking at me now, I guess you could say they aren’t the eyes of just a friend. It’s deeper than that. She’s looking at me, really looking at me. And I think she likes what she sees.

 

And that really makes me smile.

 

“So, you leave tomorrow?”

 

“Yeah…” My smile drops and so does hers. She pouts a little and looks away from me. A piece of her brown hair falls from her pony tail and across her face. I move it for her. “Aww, what’s wrong?”

 

“I wish you were staying so we might be able to hang out again. I always have fun with you.”

 

“You can stay here tonight if you want.”

 

“Excuse me, Mr. Timberlake! I don’t know you that well to be sleeping with you.” I laugh. I always manage to say the wrong thing with a girl I like. Everyone thinks I’m Mr. Suave when it comes to girls, that I know how to charm the panties off them. But the truth is, that’s usually only with women that I don’t particularly care much about. When a girl like Meredith comes along, a girl that’s different, well, I can tend to act like I’m in 8th grade all over again. I usually feel like an ass and say something stupid. Like right now.

 

But I try to play it off and smile at her and try to move my hands to her sides to tickle her, but she’s too fast and smacks my hands away. “Sleeping with me? You think I wanna have sex with you?”

 

“Well, don’t you?” She starts to blush immediately and that seals it for me. She does like me. Shit, she really does. She shakes her head and tries to play it off, “I mean, ya know who wouldn’t want to get nasty with a sexy lady like me.”

 

I don’t really say anything to her ‘cause of course now all I can think about is her little body underneath me all moaning and breathing hard. Oh god, this is bad. I sigh and move to sit up a bit. Laying here with her is hazardous. “It wouldn’t be right. I just meant sleep over. I can take the couch or something.”

 

She turns on her back for a moment, staring up at the ceiling and still hugging onto that damned pillow. She looks like she has something on her mind, but she doesn’t say a thing. I hate this kind of thing. I hate it when I can’t read people. It makes me wonder if maybe I said the wrong thing, if I upset her or made her think about something worrisome. I hope to God I haven’t blown any chance I had with her. I really need to just stop this and stop thinking I have a chance ‘cause for all I know she hates my guts and is just laying here cause well, she’s…God, now I don’t even know what I’m thinking.

 

“Will you do me a favor?”

 

She still doesn’t look at me, remains staring at the ceiling, and I scoot down so I can be closer to her. “What’s the favor?”

 

“Will you, maybe, I don’t know, call me?” Her brown eyes shift to mine. She’s unsure and nervous and I smile to try and ease her mind. “You don’t have to a lot, just maybe every now and then to let me know how you are doing. You always make me at ease. If you’re too busy I understand.”

 

“Of course I will.” I wanted to call her the past two months, but, honestly, I was scared to. I knew if I started I wouldn’t want to stop. I’d want to be around her all the time. And I didn’t realize she liked me back. But now I’m starting to think that maybe the past two months have been wasted.

 

Maybe I should have called her.

 

She laughs, blushes again and darts her eyes away from me. “Good, ‘cause ya know…I mean, I guess it’s kind of obvious.” She tugs at her hair for a moment and shuts her eyes, mumbling, “Idiot.”

 

“What’s obvious?”

 

“That I…” She sucks in a breath and glances at me. And then, shit, then she says rather fast, “that I have a big crush on you.”

 

She immediately covers her face with the pillow and holds it there. I find myself unable to say anything in return. I mean, I guessed it, I hoped it, but to hear her really say it, well, that changes everything.

 

Maybe I am ready for this. I could at least try. Fear is something I try never to let take hold of me and I guess that’s why I said I wasn’t “ready” for commitment. I still might not be, but damn…with her I should at least try.

 

I scoot closer and put my hand on the pillow, hoping she’ll move it. “Mere…”

 

She peeks out over the top of the pillow. Her face is bright red, and I don’t know if it’s because what she just told me, or having the fabric against her face for so long. “It’s embarrassing.”

 

I finally pluck the pillow from her and put it on the other side of her. Finally, freedom. No shield, no guard, just her and me. I smile some more and touch her face. “It shouldn’t be. I like you, too.”

 

Her eyes widen with excitement and then squint into a bright smile. “Really?” I can think of nothing better to do but to kiss her, so I do. Her lips are soft and she lets me lay a bit on her and lets me deepen the kiss. She’s tastes like toothpaste and something all together unique. I can’t help myself but sigh as I kiss her and I guess I’m starting to realize how much I’ve been wanting to do this. I think I’ve wanted to do this from the time she walked into the studio, somber, stressed and nervous beyond belief.

 

She pulls away suddenly, licks her lips and stretches underneath me. “Courtney’s gonna kill me if, if this goes somewhere.”

 

I smile at her and shift so we’re back on our sides and she’s flush against me, holding me a little bit. She’s soft and small and I like that. “Just forget about her.” I rub my hand down her back and resist the urge to go up the back of her shirt. I know Mere can party and I know she likes to, but I also know that she’s not one of these girls that have grabbed their sexuality by the balls and if they want something they go for it. I think if Meredith even did want me right now she wouldn’t do much more than kiss me. And that’s fine, I just, I need to remind myself that. She’s not immature and I wouldn’t call her naïve, but I think she’s still new to a lot of this, the business and other things.

 

I don’t think she’s a virgin, but I know she’s not going to give it up that easily. And maybe that’s a good thing.

 

“How?” She pulls away and looks at me with a pout. “She’s constantly breathing down my neck.”

 

I grin at her and kiss her quickly. “I think I have a plan.”

 

“Oh no.”

 

I laugh. Her voice doesn’t sound that reassuring and I know she thinks I’ve got this elaborate plan to make the girl’s life miserable, but really I think she just needs to back off. She needs a hobby and I know the perfect one for a girl like her. “What? Trust me.” I look off to the side for a moment and think about how great it would be for Trace to get this chick out of her shell a little bit. “I think Trace might be able to entertain her for a while.”

 

She rolls her eyes playfully and hugs me tightly. “Don’t be cruel to Trace. He never did anything to you.”

 

This feels good. Maybe it’s just because I haven’t had affection from a woman in so long and she’s good at it. Like she’s rubbing her feet against mine and her fingers are just lightly playing with the hairline on the back of my neck. It feels so good and relaxing. “I think he’ll like the challenge.”

 

“Challenge?” She pulls away and stops all her little movements. She stares at me. “Justin, don’t do anything crazy. Plus, you’re...” Her eyes move from mine and she looks down at my chest for a moment. “You’re leaving tomorrow so…”

 

I lift up her chin with my hand and stare at her. God, she even looks upset. I think she really does like me, ya know, not just as Justin Timberlake or cause she thinks I’m attractive or something, but I think she really likes me, like really does, a lot. I kiss her for a moment and whisper, “I can make up some work for me to do here.”

 

“Justin, don’t do…”

 

I interrupt her. “I want to…” I start kissing her again and she kisses me back all slow, knowing just how to use her lips and her mouth. This girl really knows her shit. She runs her fingers against the back of my neck and over my shoulders and smiles at me when I pull away. Even now, without all that make up and shit she had on today, with just glasses and a smile she’s gorgeous. I kiss the tip of her nose and she giggles and holds onto me tightly. Her body fits so good against mine and I pull back and lay so she’s on me, lightly pressing her lips into my neck. I hold her arm and keep it where it’s laying against my torso. She has little chill bumps over her arm and I wonder if she’s cold and rub her arm a bit to try and warm her up.

 

I ask, “You think we can make this work?”

 

“I wanna try,” She whispers. I turn and kiss the top of her head. It’s been so long since I’ve had this affection and I know it’s not going anywhere more than this. I can sense she’s exhausted and I’m fine with just holding her. “I think we should just take it one day at a time, see where it leads and hopefully it’ll lead to peace and happiness and romance. And if not, we gave it a go and that’s all that matters, right?”

 

I smile and stare at the ceiling thinking about how it would be great if this did work. For some reason I have this worry that it won’t. “What are you gonna do tomorrow if people ask you about those tracks we worked on?”

 

She laughs, sits up a bit and resituates a pillow before lying back down beside me. “I’ll be professional.”

 

I roll over on top of her and laugh. “You promise you won’t tell them that I’ve been trying to tap yo’ ass.”

 

Her eyes narrow for a moment and she gets a serious look on her face. “You better not want to. ‘Cause your not…ever.”

 

“What?” This is confusing. Why is she getting serious on me?

 

She turns up her nose and I can feel her trying to squirm her way out from under me. “If you’re into that kind of sex....into butts, well then we’re gonna have to talk this out.”

 

“Ohh…” I start to laugh and realize she thought I was really talking about anal shit. Well, at least we have it in common that we’re both not into it. “No, that’s...that’s not what I’m talking about. I was just saying…” I shake my head and laugh.

 

She nods slowly and keeps her eyes narrowed at me. “Mmmhmm, so you do just want me for sex, huh?” She rolls her eyes at me and huffs. “I was wondering what the real reason for you calling me up was.”

 

I laugh at her, ‘cause I see now she’s smiling. I touch her hair a little bit. It’s soft and bone straight, pulled back in her ponytail, different from the wavy mess it was this afternoon. “I called you up ‘cause I kind of missed ya. And I was hoping that I’d get the guts to do what I wanted to do when we were in the studio.”

 

“What’s that?” She’s whispering again. It’s adorable, and yet, sexy.

 

I lick my lips and realize how close I am to her, how great it feels to be this close to you. “Kiss you. I wanted to so bad.”

 

“Really?” I nod at her and she looks utterly amazed with me. I sigh and fall into her, kissing her deeply. I can’t help myself. It makes me feel so good to know that this girl really likes me. It makes my whole body relax. She’s got this calming effect on me, I like it. I just hope I don’t get too attached and then she wakes up and realizes she doesn’t want to be with me, or I wake up and realize I fucked up some where a long the way. She tastes so good, too. I could just stay here and kiss her all night if she’d let me. I really don’t want to stop this time. I don’t wanna stop kissing her. So I don’t, I plan to just lay here with her, kissing until she tells me to stop or until one of us falls asleep. I keep thinking about how I want this, how I want her and how I pray to God I don’t mess this up for myself. And I hope, God, I really hope she can handle this.

 

‘Cause laying in bed and kissing is the easy part and I know she has a really rough idea of what the other side of something like this can bring to the table and I hope she’s strong enough to take it.
Chapter 4 by Mere

Lyric Diner, 2:04 p.m.

 

It’s been a rough day so far. A lot has happened and a lot has changed and I can’t be mad about it, and I can’t go sit in the hotel room and drink some JD like I want to. And that’s probably a good thing. I should be happy for him, ya know? Mere’s a great girl, but I know this is going to be a problem. He’s going to be coming back in the spotlight soon, and if he’s dating her that’s all anyone else is going to care about. And I know he’s thought this through, I hope to God he’s thought this through. It doesn’t help that this Courtney chick is in the way, too.

 

I’m not quite sure what her deal is, but it’s clear she’s a control freak. Most people like that either are out of control in another aspect of their life, or at one point were not in control of their life. I wonder which one it is for her. I hope she’s not evil like that other girl. I hope she lightens up for Meredith’s sake and mine.

 

This morning when I woke up, went to Justin’s door to knock and wake him up and Meredith answered the door with sleep in her eyes and a pillow imprint on her cheek, I knew things were about to change. It’s happened before. I’ve gone to his room and found some random girl standing there with pillow marks on her face and wearing his t-shirt. But nothing changed with those girls and I knew that they were just some girl he wanted to sleep with for the night. But with Meredith it’s different. It’s been different with her since Justin met her. I know how much Justin cares about this girl, how much he thinks of her. I guess I can blame it all on myself. I met her first and thought how great she and Justin would get along.

 

And I really like Meredith, I do. She’s a sweet girl and pretty as anything. But now that her and Justin are starting something, which I guess is what they are doing, he hasn’t said much to me about it, I know I’m gonna get stuck with this Courtney chick. And that is a major, major problem. She’s got all the qualities I hate about myself and some more I just generally can not stand. I know what its like to be in her position, but she takes that position to a new level. There’s not a need to be as uptight as she is, especially when your star is getting enough uptight feedback from everyone else involved in their career at the time.

 

That’s what I learned with Justin. He needs me to be a friend first. He needs me to willingly do things for him, and yeah I guess you could call me a gopher or a little bitch, making phone calls for him, arranging things, picking up things he needs, whatever. He can’t just go out and get whatever he needs all the time and he rarely has the time to try. I love my job and I love the people I get to be around and interact with.

 

But I’m not going to love this assistant chick. I can already see it. Weeks from now, Justin and Meredith will meet up, he’ll want to be alone so he can bang her or something and I’ll be stuck…entertaining this uptight crusty girl in her little khaki pants and high and mighty attitude while in the next room Justin’s getting it on and we’re having to force conversation over their obscene sex noises. That chick gave me attitude this morning too, practically knocking down our door when she realized her “client” or whatever she calls Meredith, wasn’t in her room. She cussed me out when I wouldn’t let her in and when I finally did and she knocked on Justin’s door I knew some shit was about to go down.

 

Meredith was sitting on the bed in her pajamas but Justin was there just out of the shower and he was pissed at the way she was knocking on the door and yelling at Meredith to get back to their room. All he had to do was swing the door open, stare at her and she shut up. Meredith said she’d be down in a minute and Justin slammed the door in her face. She looked at me and glared and threatened me somehow. I don’t really remember, I was still trying to wake myself up at that point. But I knew then and there, right when she barged in, that I wouldn’t be able to deal with this bitch.

 

Then, come to find out, Justin was weaseling his way into spending an extra day or two in New York so he could spend time with Meredith. I don’t blame him, but it annoyed the hell out of me. He’s supposed to be back in LA and then go to Miami to finalize the rest of his album. And I had to spend all morning on the phone with the jet company and the hotel and Johnny and Sonia and then she called.

 

And I really, really did not want to talk to her.

 

She was the one who called it off. She was the one who left. She was the one who went and started fucking some other guy only two weeks after we broke it off. It’s been almost a year. I should be over it by now. But dammit, I was gonna marry that girl. I had a fucking ring on her finger and everything.

 

I guess it’s for the best. Justin and I still had some bachelor left in us and he was willing to go balls out like we did after him and Britney broke up. I’m not surprised that he’s finally found a girl he’s ready to get serious with. I just hope he really is ready and doesn’t just want to fuck her. ‘Cause I can see this turning into some huge drama fest if that’s all he wants from her.

 

And the last thing I need right now is drama.

 

“You wanna wait in the car or something?”

 

I blink and realize I was staring off into space like an idiot while everyone else was getting out of the car. I get out as well and follow Justin into the restaurant with Tiny behind me. Justin had the desire to go to this little 24 hour diner on the lower east side for a late lunch after spending this morning shitting around in the studio. He claimed he had more work to do when he talked to Johnny. He failed to specify the work and it just happened to not be anything musical. Well, I guess trying to get into the pants of a hot little singer could technically be musical.

 

And the only reason we waited ‘til two to eat and had to come to this particular place was because Justin wanted to. And why did Justin want to?

 

“Oh no…”

 

Damn those khakis pants.

 

I love how Justin completely ignores her and marches straight to the back and slides beside Meredith in a booth in the back of the diner. There’s another girl there too, but I’ve never seen her. Teddy is sitting at a table a few feet away from where the girls and Justin are, and I see that stupid briefcase and a laptop up on the table beside him with an empty chair that’s pushed away from the table. Man, and I thought it was bad that I was going to have to entertain her. Poor Teddy has to deal with her all the damn time.

 

“I wasn’t informed that you all would be joining us.”

 

“Sorry.” I shrug and move my eyes from everyone else to her. It’s a shame really, ‘cause she’s the type of girl that probably could be pretty with a fashion makeover. And maybe a lobotomy.

 

She puts her hands on her hips and stares me down. “We were almost late this morning.”

 

I laugh at her. She’s quite hilarious, really. I’m not sure why she’s telling all this to me, or why she’s implying blame on me. It’s not my fault that Justin and Mere are hooking up. And it’s definitely not my fault that she snuck out last night to come to our room. Hell, I didn’t even know that. “Almost late means you were either early or right on time, doesn’t it?”

 

She sighs, drops her arms and looks away from me. “It means I probably have a stomach ulcer now.”

 

“How many pair of khakis pants do you own?” I bite my lip. I didn’t mean for that to come out and now she’s staring me down. But it’s a legitimate question. I mean, maybe she just likes khakis but she was wearing them yesterday and now again today, some other little style. Today she has on a polo shirt. She looks like a camp counselor or something, ready for action on the first day. All she needs is a little embroidered logo. “Camp Courtney” and the motto would be “Crankiness, Constipation and Continuous Stress.”

 

Ya know, this chick is right. She probably did give herself an ulcer this morning, and that’s her own damn fault, no one else’s.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

I hear Meredith call my name and wave me over. “Trace, come over here!” I silently thank her for rescuing me and slip past this chick to the table Justin and her and the mystery girl are sitting at. Mystery girl is cute, very stylish and is sitting there circling a fry around in her ketchup. Maybe she’s single, maybe…maybe she’ll be what I need to get over Elisha.

 

I see a waiter standing over where Tiny has pulled up a seat by Teddy. I ask, “Are you ordering for Justin?” Tiny rolls his eyes which means yes and I clap the poor waiter on the shoulder and say, “Cheeseburger and coke for me, thanks.” He looks young and nervous.

 

Someone pulls on my arm and I’m yanked over to the table where everyone else is at. Meredith pulls me into a half hug before forcing me into the seat next to the girl. “Trace, do you remember Megan? She’s my bestest friend, the one that was with me when I first met you. And before you start, yes she was the one in the pictures.” Meredith laughs and plops down beside Justin.

 

“Oh, so this is the one that calls you Lesbo?” Megan laughs.

 

Meredith rolls her eyes at me and I open my mouth, knowing she’ll cut me off or slap me sometime soon. “Yes, and I’m the one with the mutantly large-“

 

“Trace!” Justin laughs and Mere reaches over to hold her hands over Megan’s ears. “Guard her virgin ears.”

 

And then Megan shakes her head, gives Meredith a funny look and leans back over the table. She starts to speak rapidly and I just sit there and listen in. “Right…speaking of virgin ears, so this dude is one…well, he’s not an ear of course, but a virgin.”

 

“You’re dating a virgin!” Meredith slaps her hands on the table and I can say now I’m honestly interested in this conversation. I wonder what it would be like to be a virgin at 25. Elisha claimed that one of the problems we had was that I wanted sex too much. It wasn’t like I pressured her and it wasn’t like I asked her every day if we could. She was my woman and I found her beautiful and I wanted her. And I didn’t think that was such a bad thing.

 

But apparently she did. Which doesn’t make much sense ‘cause she seemed to enjoy having sex with me. I think she just didn’t have the balls to tell me she had met someone else and that she wasn’t in love with me anymore.

 

Bitch.

 

“That’s what he says! I don’t know though, maybe he was just joking.”

 

“I gotta meet this guy.”

 

“How about tonight?” I watch as Meredith lifts an eyebrow and then smiles as Justin casually puts an arm around her. I guess they fit. She’ll be good for him, I hope. It just sucks for me, ‘cause when Justin’s in a relationship it takes up his time. It takes up his whole time. He won’t want to go out with just me and him. He’ll want her there, too. He won’t wanna go buy hot ladies expensive drinks at the club and see if we can get any to come home with us. It wouldn’t be so bad if I had someone myself, but… Anyway. “We should all go out. Use your celebrity status to get me into a cool club with free drinks.”

 

Meredith pouts and leans against Justin. “You don’t care about me, just my money and my fame!” Then she smiles and flips off her best friend.

 

Megan laughs and sticks out her tongue. “You figured me out. And what money are you talking about? You’ve spent all your money on that new house of yours. And your wardrobe.”

 

“I don’t know about tonight. I probably have something to do tomorrow morning and I’m sure that Courtney won’t let me go out.”

 

Justin says, “Mere she can’t tell you what you can and can’t do.” I nod in agreement.

 

“But I think tomorrow is the day I have to be at Good Morning America way early.”

 

I think going out would be good for me. Even if it is with two couples. It’ll give me an excuse to get drunk. Plus, we probably won’t be back in New York for a few weeks. “It’s also our last night in town.” I point out.

 

Meredith’s face drops and she immediately turns to look at Justin. “I thought you were staying cause of work.”

 

He pulls his arm from around her. “I could only stay a day later. I have to be in Miami this weekend to finish up everything.”

 

“So wait…” Everyone looks at Megan as she points in between Justin and Meredith. “Are you guys like together…”

 

I laugh as Justin says “Yes” and Meredith says “No.”

 

“Ok missy, you told me you guys made out last night.” Megan says and then turns her attention to Justin. “I need to know your intentions for my best friend.”

 

Someone clears their throat and that poor dweebish waiter is there with a tray of drinks. “Way to be awkward Megan,” Meredith grits out.

 

“It’s a gift.” She shrugs, not really caring. I kind of like this girl. She’s funny and says what’s on her mind.

 

I say thanks to the waiter, and once he leaves Justin nudges Meredith and asks, “We’re dating…right?” Her smile would light up a dark tunnel and I guess it’s sweet that she likes him that much. I don’t know why he hadn’t asked her out sooner. I told him that first day they were together that I thought she had a crush on him. But he didn’t believe me.

 

He was probably weirded out ‘cause he was dating Jocelyn at the time, well, sleeping with her at least. Justin can never handle it when he likes two girls, or if he is with one and then starts liking another. He always freaks out, asks me what to do, or tries to ignore the problem.

 

But now Jocelyn is long gone and it seems as if things are working out in his favor.

 

I wish things were working out in my favor. But no, I’m still alone, still messed up over that bitch that dumped me, and still trying to figure out if I’m even ready to get back out there and find another woman.

 

“Then how ‘bout a big date tonight,” Megan exclaims before sipping on her soda. “Me and Josh, you guys, and Trace and….your assistant.”

 

“I’m not going on a date with her.” I immediately say it and we all look over and she’s there typing furiously away at her laptop, headphones in her ear, probably listening to Celine Dion or Kenny G or something else to match her khakis pants.

 

“She won’t go.”

 

“She’ll have to if she’s your assistant.”

 

Justin’s laughing and I realize that most of my bad mood for today has been attributed by him. He’s being a little bit of an ass today, a little too needy, a little too bossy, and a little too far up in his own world to care about anyone else. I’ll have to bring him down from the clouds, but later. Later when I can cuss him out and not have to watch what I say since I’m in public and around ladies.

 

‘Cause he’s being a faggoty asshole today.

 

“How?”

 

He looks at me and smiles. “Trace will convince her.”

 

I narrow my eyes. No, he’s being a little pussy bitch that needs to be punched.

 

“And how do you think I’m going to do that?”

 

Justin laughs and puts his arm back across Meredith’s shoulders. “You know how to work it.” I glare at him. “Come on Trace, please…” They all start begging me like they’re five years old and want ice cream for breakfast. I’m not their fucking daddy. They can’t beg me to do shit. I’m not gonna sit here and take this and be forced into some conversation with some uptight psycho bitch. I don’t want to talk to her and if I was going out tonight I would not want to convince her to tag along. I don’t even see why she has to come out! Teddy and Tiny will protect Meredith. She doesn’t need her assistant there to be prying into her business. Let the girl go home and rest and get rid of all that stress that she complains about. Dammit. I know I’m Justin’s assistant. And I’ll do almost anything he needs me to do. But not this. I draw a line here. This is just bull shit.

 

“Hey…”

 

I sigh and realize that now I’m standing up, standing over her and her laptop. There’s an empty chair nearby and I pull it out. She pulls out her headphones and I hear something blasting out. It sounds like Zepplin, but I think I’m just hearing things. She’s supposed to be listening to Celine, dammit.

 

“Can I sit here?”

 

“I don’t know, can you?”

 

Dammit.

 

“That was lame, Courtney.”

 

She passes me a sarcastic smile and picks up her ipod and turns it off and then drops it in her purse, or briefcase or whatever the fuck that damn thing is. “Sure, have a seat, annoy me further while I refine my resume.”

 

I sit down. “Is it saved?”

 

She clicks a button. “It is now.”

 

“Good.” I listen to her scoff as I close the laptop and lean further on the table. “So look, everyone over at that table wants to go out tonight, and for some reason they think that I can convince you to go out with us. I don’t know why they want you to come since you don’t really seem like much of a party girl. And yet, here I am. So, what do you say about us going to Suede. It’ll be a night of no worries, free drinks, delightful company.”

 

“No worries?” She laughs and nods over to the table. I’m not really sure if she means Mere and Justin or Mere and Megan when she says, “With those two? Yeah right. And the company will be far from delightful. And there’s no way I’ll be able to drink because tomorrow…”

 

I cut her off. “Forget tomorrow. Come out and convince your “client”, as you so sweetly call her, that you’re a fun person and not just a tyrant. And convince me you got something other than khakis pants to wear.” I wink at her and she leans forward and narrows her eyes at me.

 

“Are you hitting on me?”

 

Why the hell is she smiling? Don’t even start to tell me she has the hots for me. ‘Cause that’s just fuckin’ awkward.

 

“Yeah…” I roll my eyes. “Um, sure.”

 

“She’s got a busy day tomorrow.”

 

“Really? What does she have to do?”

 

“Wanna see her schedule?” I don’t say yes, but she flips her laptop back open and pulls up some document. It’s a timetable for what Meredith is scheduled to do the next day. Honestly, I’m blown away. I haven’t seen this much crap since Justin was in the first days of ‘Nsync. She’s booked. No wonder she looks run down, she’s being overworked. And that means Courtney’s overworking herself as well. I wonder how this chick got this job. She clearly doesn’t know what the fuck she’s doing.

 

I point to one of the interviews, the one right after her Good Morning America performance. It’s at this smaller radio station and there’s no way they’re gonna get there in time. “You know damn well that isn’t going to happen. You are overbooking her.”

 

“Angie sends me list of who to call or who will be calling me to book. She told me to say yes to all.”

 

I laugh. Yeah, this girl doesn’t know what she’s doing. I’ve never really had to book interviews for Justin, and I don’t really understand why Angie has Courtney doing her work, but I have had to reschedule and cancel and if Justin wanted to go visit someone or something I’m usually the one that has to arrange that. “Then she told you to overwork Meredith. She can’t do all this. Look, she doesn’t need to go do a radio spot for all these stations.” I point to another and laugh again. “This is a fucking soft rock station Courtney!”

 

For a moment she’s quiet. She knows I put her in her place and she knows I’m right. But she can’t admit it. She just quietly says, “Don’t tell me how to do my job.”

 

“Then how about just a little word of advice among colleagues? Cancel…” I point to a few things on the screen. “This, this and this. God, she doesn’t need to help do a grand opening for an independent record store. People who are into independent records are not going to be buying some R&B dance album. And cut this while you’re at it. You’ll have a bigger opening for lunch. She’ll get to run back to the hotel and tell Justin bye.” She glares and I smile at her. “And you’ll get to kiss me farewell,” She gags and I laugh some more. “And I swear, you do all that and your client will be much happier and like you a hell of a lot better than she likes you right now. And she might be more willing to work with you next time instead of making your life hell.”

 

“Angie will fire me.”

 

“Angie doesn’t know what all Meredith does. She knows the big shit. She knows about MTV and any appearance on major networks. She’ll know about major radio stations, but this other shit…she won’t know and I bet you she doesn’t care.”

 

“And if I get in trouble what do I tell her? The Trace Fairy told me to do it this way.”

 

I shrug and watch as our food is delivered. The guy doesn’t bring it over here so I figure it’s about time for me to leave this bundle of fun in khakis pants land and get back to a real conversation. “Sure why not. But I’m not a fairy, so don’t call me one.”

 

“Could’ve fooled me.”

 

I shake my head and scoot my chair out. “You’re a bitch, you know that?” I realize after it’s come out that I actually said that out loud. I try not to let things like that slip but, this girl just can’t go around calling me a fairy when I’m trying to fucking help her. I know she thinks she’s better than me. But she’s not. She doesn’t know what the hell she’s doing and I’m just trying to help. I’m trying to make life easier for my best friend and his girl and she just wants to butt in the way and be disagreeable.

 

But that still doesn’t give me a right to call her a bitch.

 

At least not to her face. “Ok, you can slap me,” I say to her.

 

She blinks and slowly shakes her head, “No, everyone around here has called me that, but not to my face. I’m actually impressed you had the balls to do it right here.”

 

I get the feeling that she’s joking, that’s she just pulling my chain and about to unleash the wrath of Courtney. “Well, um, I’m special that way.”

 

I watch her glance at the spreadsheet again. She types a little bit and then calls out, “Meredith…” Courtney doesn’t look up but I see the whole table staring at me. I hear Courtney sigh and she says, “After you finish eating we need to hurry up and try to get you to Sony early for your meeting, and then maybe get you back so you can get ready for tonight and we can get to the club early and maybe leave a little earlier than we would otherwise.”

 

She still doesn’t look over at the table but Meredith mouths “I love you” to me and high fives Megan. At least they’re happy. And at least I get to go out tonight and get drunk. But I have a feeling I’ll be entertaining Miss Khakis, and that’s going to call for a bottle of Jack, or two.

 

“Thanks for that.”

 

She shrugs off my appreciation and plugs her ears with her headphones and pulls her ipod out of her satchel. I guess that’s what it is. I guess a briefcase would have locks. Oh shit, this does have locks. “We’ll just see how it all works out.” She says to me. I nod and figure she wants to be alone again, so I stand up and walk back over to the table.

 

“And Trace…” I turn to look at her as I slide in beside Megan. She doesn’t look at me and starts clicking at her laptop again. “Don’t ever fucking call me a bitch again.”

 

I smile and salute her though she doesn’t see me. I say, “Yes Ma’am…”

 

She might be uptight and might not have a clue what she’s doing. And she might need a makeover, but she’s kinda funny. And I think if we got her out more, loosened her up and showed her a good time, I don’t think she’d be that bad. I mean she’s not gonna be fun, but maybe she won’t be so damn annoying and so damn bitchy. In fact, I think this bitchy personality she has going for her, I think it’s a front.

 

Maybe a couple cosmos tonight will get her to show me the real side. And hey, ya never know, maybe I’ll like the real side.
Chapter 5 by Mere

Suede, 12:39 a.m.

 

I guess you could say that besides him being drop dead gorgeous, sweet, and funny the main thing that attracted me to him was his quiet nature. He’s a man that’s calm, and quiet. He’s not shy, but he’s reserved. It takes him a while to become fully comfortable with someone. And even then he would much rather just sit in silence with someone than sit there and ramble about meaningless things.

 

But right now I’m a little drunk and he won’t shut up and he won’t stop saying all this shit in my ear.

 

And I hope he never does.

 

His hand on my thigh, his lips near my ear, kissing occasionally against my neck and the fact that between the two of us we’ve drowned more than a half a bottle of Grey Goose makes me want to throw out my morals and have him right here in the club for everyone to see.

 

“Let’s go back to the room.” His lips press against my ear, his arm is around my shoulders, pulling me into him and his hand... God, why did I wear this dress? It’s short and I put it on in hopes that he’d notice. Well he’s noticed and if his hand gets any fucking higher on my thigh I think I might be in serious trouble.

 

I breathe hard and reach for the shot glass that Megan just poured for me. “I’m not having sex with you Justin…” I drown it back and it goes down smooth. It took me a few shots to get over the sting. But now it just melts. Fuck, he’s licking my neck. “…yet.”

 

I hear him laughing. It’s a deep chuckle. “Why not?”

 

I sit up and it makes him pull away from me for a moment. I look at him and wink, “’Cause I’m not that easy. You have to work for me.”

 

“I’ve been working hard, girl. You got me all sweatin’ and hot for you.”

 

“You’re drunk, Justin.”

 

He bites his lip. “So’re you.” He sits up and says it close to me. I realize now how drunk he really is, how drunk we both are. His words are slurred and I’m leaning into him to hear what he says, unable to really judge personal space. I look over as Megan and Josh get up to go dance again.

 

I danced with Justin earlier and honestly thought I might orgasm right there on the floor. I know that sounds crude but this man knows how to work his shit. I’m hanging by a thread here. He’s got me hot and sweatin’ him, as well. I’ve always been one to stick up for my little moral about sex. I’m not into random hook ups and not into one night stands, and even though Justin and I are dating…I pause and start to giggle. Justin and I are dating. I shake my head of the giddy thought. Even though we are, it’s only been like a day and I’m not ready to give it up…yet.

 

But damn would it feel like heaven. I bet he knows how to slide it in just fucking right. I bet he would go down on me.

 

Hehehehehe, he would go down on me. Ok, ok, I have to stop.

 

I take a deep breath and feel his hand rub up and down my back, the dress exposes a lot of it and his fingers against my skin are like fire. “I can’t help myself, Mere. Your body is just like, banging in that dress.” He looks me up and down and his eyes lock on to my chest. He starts to smile and leans in and hits his head against my shoulder and leaves it there. “I see breasts.”

 

I laugh and poke him in the side before readjusting the plunge neck of my dress to make sure nothing is poking or peeking out. Ok, so I admit I dressed a little scandalous. And maybe it was wrong and maybe I knew I was going to get myself into trouble and tease the hell out of him. But it’s all in good fun. “I see a bulge.” He looks down at his lap and drops his mouth like he’s shocked and covers his lap with is hands. It makes me laugh. “Dork.”

 

He laughs and before I can do anything he’s got both his arms around me, pulling me back into the dark corner where we are sitting. His fingers press into my lower sides and I start to laugh. I hit him a little to get him to stop tickling me and he just holds me, laughing as I get situated leaning back against him. He starts to kiss the back of my neck softly and whispers to me. “Don’t you wanna go back and fool around a little?”

 

I sigh. Yes, God yes. I want to. But I’m not here with just him. Megan’s here as well and if I just ditch her to go make out with a hot ass boy, well, I’m sure she’d understand but I’d still feel horrible about it. I turn and pout a little. “I’m supposed to be hanging out with Megan. I never get to see her.”

 

“I think she’s having fun with her virgin boy. And you never get to see me, and I leave tomorrow.”

 

I realize he’s right. I tried to push that thought away when Trace mentioned it this afternoon at Lyric. I tried not to think about it when Megan and I were getting ready for tonight. It was nice to talk to her about Justin, to actually have someone to dish with, but she didn’t know much more than I did. Justin hasn’t given me much to work with. I mean he likes me, he thinks I’m hot. And he says he cares about me, but I don’t know. I don’t know if it’s just him wanting to have sex with me. Clearly he wants to. I start to smile. I don’t know why the thought of him wanting to do me makes me happy. Maybe it’s cause he’s just so damn hot. But I want more than that with him. I, I really like him. Like really. I haven’t been interested in a guy in so long. The last guy I was with was my boyfriend in college, but well, that ended right after I got signed and dropped out. It wasn’t like we ended all mad. It was sad I guess, but we both knew that it would be too hard to keep it up after I left.

 

Oh and there was that guy in high school, but he so doesn’t count. I’m older now, more grown up, and I know what I want. And I want Justin. And I want him to want me back, like want to be with me for a while. I know it’s only been a few days and I know this is probably the vodka talking but I really can see myself being able to fall in love with this guy.

 

I turn and put my arms around him, because it feels good but mainly I do it ‘cause I don’t want to let him go. “When will I see you again?”

 

“I don’t know. I’ll call you and we can figure it out. Right now…” He brings his hand up to my face and holds my neck and my cheek and smiles at me. I wish his smile would comfort me. It was his bright smile that could always get me through the worst recording sessions. It was a rough time for me. A time when I just wanted to run and hide and I did that in the studio, with him. For hours it would just be the two of us, late at night when the techs had already left and Trace had gone out to get us food or gone home to sleep. It’d be four in the morning and he would have just made me some coffee or tea and he’d pull out his guitar and just sing with me, not recording, just letting whatever was there flow out. I’d be depressed about my situation, unable to hit the notes I needed to, unable to sound decent. And he would just smile, “Relax Meredith, don’t think about it too hard.” I honestly don’t know how I kept my hands off him then, but at least I have him now.

 

“Right now, let’s make out.”

 

“We’re in public.” I’d give anything to just be able to give into him. But I know somewhere around here Courtney is lurking and would shit her pants if she saw us like this. Someone could see, I know. Someone could snap a picture, I know. But right now, I just want to be with him. ‘Cause I only have a few more hours with him.

 

He pulls his forehead against mine and leaves it there. “Mere, I don’t give a fuck.” He smiles and kisses me quickly. “It’s dark, and it’s private up here. No one will see.” I can’t help myself and when he goes to kiss me again I let him do whatever the hell he wants. He pulls me hard against him and kisses me furiously. Damn, this guy can kiss, too. He’s not too sloppy with it, but not so technical that it feels like he’s done this so many times. We kiss and kiss and the next thing I know he’s pulling me so that I’m in his lap. Well, really I’m straddling his lap and I know with my short dress and in public and with us being this drunk I shouldn’t be doing any of this right now. But like he just said, I don’t give a fuck.

 

He pulls away and starts kissing down the front of my neck. His hands are on my hips, gripping me tight. I love his hands, they’re big and masculine, but not too rough to the touch. Oh, I wish he’d touch me more. Shit, fucking shit he’s kissing my cleavage. “I can’t wait until you let me have sex with you.”

 

I laugh. He’s so drunk. He would never say this type of stuff if we weren’t tipsy. I pull away for a moment and pout at him playfully. “Is that all you want from me?”

 

“Come on, you know I care about you, girl.” He smiles and then moves his eyes from my face down across my body. I feel his hands grip my hips tighter and he pushes his lap up in between my legs. I bite me lip at how it feels. This is dangerous. “But dammit,” he growls out. “Ever since I met you girl, I wanted to just lay you down and fuck you all night. You came in that studio wearing that little tank top and those little stretch pants all tight on your ass.” He closes his eyes for a moment and then blindly leans in to kiss me. I don’t know what is it, but part of me is really turned on by what he said and the other part is a little fearful. I know he’d never hurt me. Justin’s not that kind of guy, but the more he keeps talking like this, the more and more I’m gonna give in and the more and more I’m going to want him to just lay me down and fuck me all night, tonight. And it’s just too soon and it would weird me out and it would ruin everything.

 

“Mere,” He breathes my name out and opens his eyes, “I’ve had a lot of girls, but you’re the fucking hottest.”

 

I pull back. That last shot starts to hit me and I feel dizzy and confused. “Why are you telling me this?”

 

He sucks in a breath and pulls his hands off my body. “I’m sorry.”

 

I pull him back. I don’t care that he’s been with a lot of girls. I assume he’s been with a hell of a lot. He’s Justin Timberlake. And right now I’m sitting on his lap. I smile and kiss him. “How many girls?”

 

“Like eight.” He shrugs.

 

“Oh…” For some reason I’m surprised. I had suspected him to be this huge player, Wilt Chamberlain type. I don’t know. “That’s not too bad.”

 

I guess a part of me is just waiting for something to mess up, waiting for him to not be as picture perfect for me as he seems. I haven’t had a lot of luck with guys since I’ve been in the music industry. I’ve had a few people call me up on dates but I wasn’t interested or either way too busy. And now I’m way too busy, but I’m interested, God, more than interested. And I’m so willing to make time for him.

 

I just hope I don’t get crushed.

 

“Mere, I gotta ask you…” He pulls away and I kiss his neck softly and lean my head on his shoulder. I run my hands over his upper arms and can feel his muscles underneath his button down shirt. I wish I could see them. This morning right when Courtney busted open the door, he had just emerged from the shower. I almost fainted when he casually walked out in a towel. And the look that Courtney gave me seemed to scream “slut.” But I don’t care. He was half naked and still wet and he was fucking gorgeous. And we were together. We are together. “Mere…”

 

“Hmm?” God, he even smells perfect.

 

“Are you like that Josh guy…”

 

I pull away confused, but as he stares at me serious yet softly I know he’s asking whether I’m a virgin. Oh no, not again. For some reason I give off this virgin vibe. My last boyfriend, Rex, I know don’t laugh, he told me that for the longest time he never brought up sex cause he assumed I was a virgin.

 

Well, I’m not.

 

At all.

 

“I’m not telling,” I tease him.

 

“Please….”

 

“Would it matter?”

 

He thinks for a moment, puts his hands around my waist and then nods. “Well yeah. I mean, I don’t wanna be pushing you too much if you ain’t never done it.”

 

Man, this kid does need to be laid. It’s all he’s talked about ever since the liquid started getting a little lower than the top of the label in the bottle. I guess its flattering that he wants me that much, that I turn him on that much. But since I’m a little tipsy too, it’s hard to decipher if he really wants me or if he just wants to fuck someone. “Even if I have done it, you shouldn’t push me Justin.”

 

“I’m sorry.” He pulls me back and leans himself back against the cushion. It’s quiet, despite the thumping sounds of music, and it feels good to be held, but my legs are starting to feel weird, and I realize I’m still straddling him and my dress is riding way too dangerously up to my hips. “So…” He clears his throat. “Are you?”

 

I laugh and finally whisper in his ear, “I’m not a virgin, Justin.”

 

“So how many?”

 

I laugh and pull away and smack his shoulder. “Justin!”

 

He’s smiling at me and grabs at my hands. “Come on girl, we’re fucking dating now. None of this secrecy shy shit. You know how many I’ve been with.”

 

I hesitate. Not ‘cause I’m embarrassed or ‘cause I don’t think he should know. In fact, I’m not quite sure why I hesitate. I guess a part of me really wants this conversation to end. I want to be back at my hotel room, lying around and making out with him and him be sober and not so obsessed with sex and actually talking to me. And then we’d fall asleep and he’d leave the next day.

 

I frown. “Just two.”

 

He touches my hair and has a strange lopsided grin. “You’re a sweet girl. Boyfriends?”

 

“Yeah. We’re yours all random?”

 

“Some were.” He kisses me, slowly and pulls away saying close to my lips, “Does that make you upset?”

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

He smiles and I feel him grabbing my ass a little through the thin material of my dress. “You like having someone more experienced than you, don’t you?”

 

I laugh and figure that enough is enough. If he’s gonna play this horney dog game and tease me and tease me after I told him I wasn’t ready, I’m going to tease him back. He’s found the seam of my thong through my dress and is running his finger slowly across it right above my ass and towards my hips. I lean down close to him and kiss his lips briefly. “Who says you’re more experienced? Just ‘cause you’ve had sex with eight different girls doesn’t mean you’re more experienced than me. You might have just had sex with eight different girls…each one only once. My poor two little boys that I’ve been with, well I might have fucked them every day for a year. Then who’s more experienced?”

 

His breathing is shallow and he asks, “Every day?” I can’t help but giggle and he smacks my ass as a response. Oh shit, he shouldn’t have done that to me. “You’re a tease.” He grits out smiling.

 

“And you’re up to no good.” I move off of him, quickly in a last moment of sanity and stretch my legs out in front of me, sitting next to him.

 

“You got me drunk and you’re taking advantage.”

 

“I haven’t taken advantage of you yet, Justin.”

 

He’s on me faster than I can snap my fingers, pulling me close and growling in my ear, “When will you?”

 

“Damn! You need to get laid or something!”

 

He searches my eyes and smiles, “So do you.” Ok, so he’s got me there. I push him away and then let him put his arm around me and lean against me a little bit.

 

“But not tonight, ok?”

 

“Ok…” He takes a deep breath, adjusts his shirt for a second, pulls all his hands and arms and his body a half a foot away from me and then works to re-roll one of his sleeves. “I’ll keep my hands to my self.”

 

“Justin…” I laugh and watch as he busies his hands with other things, tapping on the counter, biting his nails. It’s like he’s jittery, like a fucking addict or something. I have to wonder why and hope maybe it’s ‘cause he just can’t keep his hands off me. God, it makes me feel so good to know that maybe, maybe he does really want to have sex, but he really wants to, with me…me. I mean, I think he really does really like me. I grab his hands in mine. “I still want you to fool around with me tonight. But after I’ve sobered up.”

 

I want to mess around with him, but I know I need to be sober. I need one of us to be so that I can stop and say no and control myself. ‘Cause its hard to control myself around someone like him. He nods and taps my head, then his own. He’s a silly drunk. And it’s absolutely adorable. “I see what cha mean.”

 

It’s quiet for a moment. At least, it’s quiet between us. The club is noisy, and for a moment things between us seem awkward. Ya know, what? Just fuck it. I lean back and grab him and pull him on me and kiss him. He laughs this panty-melting laugh and just smiles at me before kissing me some more. His hand wanders up my side and his thumb intentionally brushes underneath my breast. I glare at him. He knows what he’s doing and all he does in response to the look I give him is grin at me.

 

“I can’t believe I have to get up in like six hours,” I say.

 

“Then you can’t drink no more.”

 

I laugh and he sits up and pulls me down so I’m leaning against his shoulder. He kisses the top of my head and it makes me at ease. “What if I was still drunk at Good Morning America?”

 

“You’re ass would be in trouble.” He laughs. “It would be hot and fine and I’d want to grab it. But it would be in trouble.”

 

“Where’s Courtney, she can take us home…” I look up at him and he smiles at me. I’m starting to fall in love with that smile, that smile that seems only for me. That little drunk, curious smile that…he just licked his lips. Damn, he really is good looking.

 

I feel a presence plop beside me and look over to see my best friend. I immediately hug her and kiss her cheek. I’m so glad she’s here. I know we haven’t talked much at the club but she’s with her boy and I’m with mine. And that’s what’s great about her, I don’t have to explain to her or tell her I’m sorry. It’s enough that we sometimes only get to have lunch and get to have a few hours to gossip and dish in person within a month. She’s been my number one support since this started. She was the one who convinced my parents it would be ok and she’s always understood. She’s the best. She even stuck with me after both our reputations were ruined. She didn’t blame me and she didn’t blame my fame when only a few months ago she became known as the dyke dancer at her college. “You’re back!” She laughs and makes some comment about Josh not having any rhythm. He pouts at her. “Have you seen Courtney?”

 

She shrugs and a drink is brought to her. She immediately starts to sip on it. It’s girly, all pink and fruity. It looks good and I realize that I really want another, even though I know it would be the death of my career tomorrow. “I think she’s been with Trace all night.”

 

“Really? Where are they at?”

 

“They were over there about thirty minutes ago and then they disappeared.” She points over to this little mini bar area in the VIP section. I search that area with my eyes but don’t see anyone familiar. Tiny is standing there with a finger in one ear and a cell phone against the other. I wonder where Teddy went.

 

Justin starts to laugh. “He’s boning her! I just know it.”

 

“Oh please!” I laugh and roll my eyes. Yeah right, I don’t think Courtney has a sexual bone in her entire body. Yeah, she let us come out tonight, but she complained about it. And for the first few hours she monitored my alcohol content and would give me a look if Justin touched me or if I kissed him on the cheek. Thank God Trace some how managed to pull her away.

 

“Well he does have a mutantly large penis.” Megan says and by the look on Josh’s face we all start to crack up. I’m laughing so hard with Justin I can’t even help her explain what that joke means. And then Justin starts to tickle me and I start squealing.

 

I know I probably sound pathetic and like some stupid pig, but I really, really hate to be tickled.

 

“We got a problem.”

 

The tickling stops and we all look up to see Courtney there. It’s still shocking to see her in a black skirt and a tank top. She actually looks kind of cute, but her face looks worried and stress so I’m sure it’s the same old Courtney under the new clothes. Trace is standing near her and takes a seat on the other side of Justin.

 

“What?”

 

She runs her hands through her hair and then lets them fall by her sides. “They know you both are here, together.”

 

“How do they know that?” I ask.

 

Her eyes narrow slightly, “Apparently someone spotted you two furiously making out up here and they apparently worked for some magazine. And now we have about twenty photographers or so outside waiting.”

 

I start to feel dizzy and I’m pretty sure it’s not the alcohol. At least, I hope its not. “Shit.”

 

“And we need to get you back, but you have to listen to me, ok?” I nod at her. She doesn’t seem too angry with me and that’s a plus. Normally, she’d have ripped me from my seat and told me to move and then yelled at me that I did something wrong. Maybe she does have a soul somewhere in there behind the tough, stressed out exterior. I hope so.

 

“How you feeling man?” I look over and Justin is shaking Trace’s hand. He gives him the ok sign with his fingers and sways a little. I start to realize that we had a lot to drink. Most of the bottle is gone, and he drank a lot faster and a lot more than I did.

 

“A-ok.”

 

“They’re pulling the car up. Teddy is going to take you.” He magically appears behind Courtney, talking to Tiny about something and pointing to somewhere. I feel bad now, I feel like I’ve caused a big screw up for everyone. But I guess it was time for us to be heading home anyway. “Megan and Josh, you guys go behind Meredith. And then Tiny and you guys will come home a little later.” She points to Justin and I realize that she’s separating us.

 

I guess it makes sense. Less hassle and less attention if we come out separate but still. I wanna ride home with him. And I wanna stay with him tonight.

 

“But that means…” I turn to Justin and pout, “You’re not coming home with me.”

 

He gives me a hug, kisses my cheek and whispers in my ear, “Wait up for me. We won’t be long.”

 

“You promise you’ll come by?” I feel Megan pulling on my hand and I stand up and let them pull me out of the booth.

 

Seconds before I was making out with him and now I’m being ripped away. It’s not fair!

 

“I promise.” He winks at me and I’m pulled into the crowd. Teddy grabs my hand and the next few minutes blur by. I’m pushing in between people and then a blast of fresh air and what seems like a million flashing lights go off. I’m all but thrown into the backseat of the car that brought us. I quickly lean down and lay my head in Megan’s lap as the driver waits for people to move so we can actually pull out. I can still see flashing going off and I know they have the lenses right up against the glass.

 

I hate this.

 

When the car starts to move I look up at Megan and say, “You think he’ll come see me tonight?”

 

“Of course, you’re putting out, right?”

 

I glare at her and sit up.

 

“Why not?” She laughs. Josh starts to check his voice messages but mumbles something under his breath about Megan being “obsessed.” I don’t know what the hell he’s talking about.

 

“You know why.”

 

“Yeah, but he’s hot Meredith.” She shrugs and flops her arm around my shoulders. I’m really, really glad she’s here. I know she has classes tomorrow, but maybe after I’m done with everything we can hang out again. I have a feeling I’ll need her once Justin flies away. “He’s not like the last three sleaze balls that asked you out.”

 

“I like him so much.”

 

She leans her head on mine. But it’s not her who speaks to me next. “And he likes you.”

 

I sit up a bit and stare at the back of Courtney’s head. “You really think so?”

 

“That’s a stupid question.” She sighs and turns around from the middle seat of the SUV that she’s been sitting on by herself and looks at me. “Trace already said he’d be sure to bring him by…”

 

I grin, thinking back to what Justin said about Trace ‘boning’ her. I wink at her. “Trace, eh?”

 

“Well that is his best friend and assistant.” She rolls her eyes at me and normally I would be pissed off, but at this point I don’t care. She’s being halfway decent and accepting and not ripping me apart for liking him and telling me that its not worth it and that I don’t have time. Like she did this morning.

 

“I think she wants him.” I whisper to Megan and she laughs with me and leans against Josh. I lean against her and I hear him laughing to himself saying something about a human pillow. He’s a nice guy. Virgin or not, he fits Megan. I hope it works out. She deserves a great guy.

 

“You look tired, Mere.” She says to me and I feel her rub my head a little bit. My eyes start to close and I yawn.

 

“I am.” It starts to hit me like a brick. The alcohol in my belly, the long hours, the fact that I’ve only gotten about 4 or 5 hours of sleep each night the past week and the excitement of being in New York, promoting my single and being with Justin has led me to this: Lifeless in the back seat of an Escalade. “I really, really am.”

 

I open my eyes for a moment and it’s a bit blurry so I shut them again and savor how good it feels. I can’t wait for promotion to be over and I can get back to my normal life, or at least start to figure out what my normal life should be. I hope whatever I figure out that Justin is in the equation.
Chapter 6 by Mere

West 59th, 11:28 a.m.

 

It’s been a long, long morning. After last night and getting up at five this morning I could think of nothing better than a nap. I’m starting to think canceling those unimportant interviews and appearances was a really good idea. She passed out in the car last night and it was a bit of a hassle waking her back up and getting her back upstairs without her looking like a horrid drunk. In fact, I don’t think she was all that drunk. Honestly, I think she was exhausted. She fell asleep as soon as we entered the suite, sitting down on a chair and knocking out. Teddy had to carry her to bed. Megan went to sleep in Meredith’s bed with her, after saying goodbye to Josh. Teddy went to bed soon after and I stayed up, picking out my outfit for today and getting Meredith’s clothes, which Shanda had already planned for her this week, ready and set up for a smooth morning.

 

And it did run pretty smooth. We left Megan in the room with the knowledge that she’d be gone by the time we got back. I found out this morning that she’s about to receive her BA here in New York. Meredith was quiet all morning and cooperative. In fact, the only thing she said to me was a question, to ask if Justin stopped by the night before.

 

She was happy to know that they had shown up, but clearly upset that she was asleep when it happened. I hope she understood when I explained that I had I told him just to go on and get sleep and that they’d see each other the next day. I couldn’t risk him waking her up. When they left, I was closing the door when Trace smiled at me and said, “Nice job.”

 

I guess it made me feel good to get some respect, finally.

 

But I know I’m about to lose every bit that I had worked to get in the past 24 hours if this traffic doesn’t break up and this driver doesn’t go a bit faster. I had promised her, promised her this morning, since she didn’t get to see him last night and it was too early this morning to call, that she’d get to see him before they left.

 

They are checking out at 11:30. And as I look at her, biting her nails, staring out the window with a pale face, I know, if she doesn’t get to see him before he leaves, I’m gone.

 

And then I guess my nightmare of a week would be over and I’d be back where I was before, jobless, alone, searching for something to do with my time. But I wouldn’t be stressed. Right? Yeah, sure, keep thinking that Courtney. Last night I actually can admit that I relaxed for an hour or so. Once Trace forced me away from Justin and Meredith and her friend I was able to forget about her for a while. I forgot that I was at work. I spent most of the time laughing to myself at how pathetic Trace could be, gawking at women like they were treats in a pastry shop or something. The paparazzi thing stressed me out beyond belief but with his help we were able to figure out what to do pretty fast, and I think it ran pretty smoothly.

 

I still felt some guilt for not sitting by Meredith and monitoring her. I knew she wouldn’t be able to control herself in public with her new boyfriend, and I was right. I can hear Angie now, yelling at me that I can’t just let her make out with people in public, no matter who it is.

 

I will have to say though; it’s felt better, the past day or so, working with Meredith. She’s been more willing to do what I ask, less demanding in what she asks and all around more pleasant, more professional, less like a whiney child.

 

“We’ll make it, right Court?”

 

I nod at her as she presses a button on her phone and brings it to her ear. She’s been dialing a number pretty regularly since we got back from that last interview. I knew I should have called Trace this morning while she was performing on GMA to make sure everything was set up right. But that last interview lasted a little longer than planned, and there was a wreck, so we’ve had to take a different route back down town towards the Ritz.

 

“Can you try calling Trace?” She’s panicking and I look at her hard. I start to really feel for her. For the first time since I’ve had this job I see that she’s not just some spoiled, uncaring pop star. She’s scared right now. I see that she’s got a life with stresses and worries and that behind the fashion and the fame she’s got the same problems as other people. I’d be as freaked out as she is now if I were her, if I had a man. But of course, that would never, ever happen. Not since Keith. Never again since that sorry excuse of a man. She’s terrified we aren’t going to make it. I look at my watch, she has good reason to be scared. We’re late. Shit, I really don’t want to see her turn back into that spoiled star if we don’t make it.

 

But at the same time I really don’t want to have to call Trace and look desperate. Thankfully we pull up in front of the hotel quickly. A three hour break, something I feel like I haven’t seen in ages, is quickly approaching. I smile at her and squeeze her arm for a second, “Come on, let’s get out and go see your man.”

 

But I see that she’s staring straight ahead of us, and right in front of us is a similar SUV to our own, this one being loaded with luggage. She knows whose car that is and she knows where it’s going. And I know that if some miracle doesn’t happen I’m going to be screwed.

 

I’ve tried so, so hard the past bit to be understanding and flexible, to help her get to do what she wants and get her work done. Hell, I let her go out last night and that was something I should have never, ever done. She was hoarse this morning, she sounded fine on the TV, but I know that she could have done better, and she knows it too and was pissed off at herself for a good while about it. I’m sure Angie and the label will be pissed, as well.

 

“Come on, let’s go.” Teddy opens her door and she steps out. There’s a small crowd of fans and photographers who immediately snap her picture. I’m glad she flipped her sunglasses back on before she left the car or they might be able to see that she’s about to break down. I follow her and Teddy swiftly into the Ritz. We don’t stop for anything or anyone. We march right up to the elevator and she presses the up button, turning to scan the lobby.

 

The door dings and I search the lobby quickly as well, hoping to see their crew. But I don’t and readjust my satchel on my shoulder.

 

“The lobby, Mr. Timberlake. I hope you enjoyed your stay.”

 

I think I pull a muscle snapping my head around. But there they are, Tiny, Trace and Mr. Timberlake, staring back at the three of us. Trace laughs and steps out, book bag strap across his shoulder and a phone in his other hand. “Look who finally showed up.” He laughs and glares at me a little.

 

The nerve of that little fucker! I did everything he told me to. I tried my best and he’s going to scold me all sarcastically. I think it’s about time I tell him what I really think of him.

 

But maybe another time. I need to get upstairs and get a nap. They’re leaving and I was too late and now I’m going to be hated for life for not being able to get her back in time. I step onto the elevator and force myself back into the corner and lean my head against the marble interior and close my eyes.

 

I hope I never get to see that little man ever again. I hope he never has advice to give me. I think I can do just fine on my own, dammit.

 

I hear the doors start to shut. And then I hear a yell, “What the hell are you doing!”

 

My eyes pop open and I see the doors closing. Teddy, Tiny and Trace are all quickly being blocked from view. They disappear and I look to my right, not wanting to see what’s there.

 

What’s there is an embarrassed looking bell hop, younger than the one who’s been here most of the time. He’s pressed up into the opposite corner as me and trying to hold the urge to laugh. I sigh and roll my eyes at the sight in the middle of the elevator. I try to look away, I try not to stare, but my eyes keep traveling back to them, like some stupid voyeur.

 

He holds her face with both his hands and presses his forehead down into hers. She says she’s sorry, he kisses her. He kisses her really, really slow, brushing his thumbs against her cheeks. He pulls away and looks into her eyes and I look away. Something in my stomach churns and I get an anxious feeling. I’m not quite sure. I don’t want to say its jealousy, but…it’s jealousy.

 

I want a man to look at me like that, to kiss me like that, to mean it. I hope Justin means it for her sake. I can tell she’s had little experience with heart ache. And she’s had little experience with love.

 

“I don’t want you to go.” She hugs him and I try not to let memories flood me of the last time I hugged someone like that. The last time I begged him not to go…and he went anyway. And he never came back. “I haven’t gotten to really, really say goodbye or anything.”

 

“I’ll see you soon, I promise you that.”

 

“You promised me you’d come see me last night.”

 

“I did. You didn’t wait up for me.”

 

“I’m sor-“

 

“Shh…” He kisses her and I glance at the bell hop who’s now biting his lip and trying not to stare. He looks at me and smiles. I look away. “I’ll call you later when we land.”

 

She hugs him again and I hear her whisper, “Thank you…” Maybe what she feels for him is more than I gave her credit for. Maybe it’s more that just some crush.

 

Oh god, if it’s more than just some crush there’s going to be drama. And the last thing I need to deal with is drama.

 

“The tenth floor Miss Craven, Mr. Timberlake.”

 

“Yes, it’s our floor.” I sigh, and prepare myself to be hated for my next action. But I know I can’t just let her stand there as the elevator goes up and down and let her delay him from his flight and cause a scene at the same time. I reach for her arm and say, “Come on, Meredith. He needs to get downstairs before Tiny beats him up.”

 

She kisses him quickly and pulls away. “Bye Justin…”

 

“See ya soon, girl…” I hook her arm with mine to make sure she doesn’t get away. I’m pretty much having to drag her along. She’s turned looking backwards as I try my best to get her to our room safely. I sigh in relief when I hear the doors shut and glance to make sure he’s not standing in the hallway or following us so he can do her quickly before we leave. He’s not and I fumble with the key, unlocking the door and swinging it open. I hold it open to make sure she gets in first and then I close it behind me.

 

“I think I’m in love, Courtney.”

 

“And I think your boyfriend is in a hell of a lot of trouble.” I laugh, take off my satchel and sit myself down on the couch as she continues to stand there by the table in the kitchen and stare off into space. I flip off my shoes and pull my feet under me. She looks at me and smiles a little bit. I smile back at her. “That was rather romantic, though.”

 

Her eyes roll back into her head and she kicks off the heels she was wearing and clutches at the fabric against her chest. “It was like out of a damn movie is what it was.” She takes in a breath and my eyes widen as she stomps around and squeals. She chants “yes” and I start to laugh. But then she stops, stares at me and then runs into her room, shouting, “I gotta go call Megan.”

 

The door slams shut.

 

I smile to myself. Quiet, peace, and the possibility for sleep. I pull my phone off from where it’s hooked on my waist and flip it open to set an alarm for an hour. Then, I lie back on the couch and stretch out my legs before curling up and closing my eyes. This nap is going to feel like heaven.

 

The door opens and shuts loudly and I open my eyes to see Teddy there.

 

“Oh, sorry.” He steps further into the room, scratching his head. “Is she ok? Everything cool here?”

 

I nod, “Everything’s great. We got a few hours to relax so I’m going to take a nap. She’s in her room.”

 

“I think I’ll take your lead.” I close my eyes and hear the door to his bed room shut.

 

I wonder if I’ll ever be like that again, like how Meredith is right now. All happy and excited and hopeful, about a man. It’s been a while since everything happened and I know everyone has a past and everyone has mistakes and heart ache included in that. But for some reason my heartache and my mistakes follow me and suffocate me and control how I live and what I do. No matter how hard I try or what I do I can’t get over it. Even when I shut everything out, everything, it’s still not a victory over it. He still wins, he still gets the last laugh. He still gets to fly overseas with a woman half as smart as me but less needy, leaving me alone, behind with a crumbled career and without a heart. But that was long ago, and I should be over it by now.

 

But I’m not.

 

Maybe this new job will bring new friends, new relationships, new experiences. I’m not planning or counting or hoping for a love relationship from anywhere. I just want to be able to move on. I want to be happy with my life, my career. It’s funny really. I was hating this job, loathing it until about 12 hours ago. I hate to admit it, but that mutant or whatever they call him was right. She was being overworked, and so was I. I needed some relaxation, and so did she. And the fact that I’ve worked with her and worked for her to give her that time, well, it’s made working with her today much easier. In fact, she’s been rather enjoyable to be around. She’s not as bad as I thought.

 

She’s cute and funny and really, really good at what she does.

 

I think I might have to stick around a little longer. I’m still not sure if this is a perfect match, or if I can be her PA for long term, but I can handle this and I’m willing to give it a try, to test it out a bit longer and see if I can really do this. My life is going to change in a few days, when we go back to LA and I finally move into my apartment there and I become less of a manager and more of a servant. Two days and we’ll be back there, and all she has to do for the next week are a few telephone interviews. It’ll be nice to be still for a bit, to be back home, to actually have a home.

 

My phone rings, and at first I think I’ve dozed off and my alarm has already gone off. I flip it open and see that I have a voicemail. It’s later, so I must have slept a bit. I call the voicemail back and press in my code and wait for a moment and finally the message comes through.

 

“Courtney, it’s Angie. Call me immediately. We need to look back over some of the rules I set down for you.” The message ends and I pull back the phone and stare at it.

 

This isn’t good.

 

I don’t want to call back and for a moment I think about just falling asleep and grabbing the call later. But I know then I would look worse. She’s pissed and the sooner I call her, the sooner she can bitch me out and not let her anger stew. I find her number in my phone and press send and I wait as it rings, curling up to the back cushions of the couch and hoping I’m not met with a shout.

 

“Angie McCrawley…”

 

I sigh, “Hey, it’s Courtney.”

 

There’s a pause and I cringe.

 

And then it starts and all I can do is lay there and take it. “Where the fuck do you get off pulling this shit?” I don’t answer her. I don’t know what she knows, and I’m not quite sure what she’s mad at. I knew from the moment I met her that Angie could be a drill sergeant about things, but I’ve never heard her this upset. Normally, she’s rather jovial about things. Or she seemed so in the interview I had with her. Her tone is strange, way too authoritative. I feel like I’m being lectured by my mom instead of my boss. I don’t like it. “I hear that she went out last night with her friends. And now I have the label calling me asking me why my client is out partying the night before some major morning television event. You’re supposed to be keeping her in line not joining the party!”

 

“I’m…”

 

She cuts me off and doesn’t even let me explain myself. That pisses me off. I hate when people don’t let me talk and don’t let me share my side. If I wanted to be lectured I’d go back to college. “And where do you get off not following the schedule? She was supposed to be at that store opening this morning and my friend called me and said she wasn’t.”

 

Now this is strange. For a moment I’m not quite sure what’s she’s talking about. “What?”

 

“Don’t play dumb.” I turn up my nose, she sounds like she’s in high school or something. “One of my good friends runs a music store and I promised him I would have her stop by. That was on your schedule at 10:30 this morning. He called and said you canceled last minute yesterday evening. You can’t cancel! You do not have that authority! Do you understand that?”

 

“Yes, but…”

 

I grit my teeth and hit the couch with my fist as she interrupts me again. “It’s promotion week, Courtney. I don’t know how they did things in that corporate office you worked at, but when you’re actually working with the clients you have to follow the schedule and you have to do everything on it. Promotion week isn’t fun. I’m sorry, but everything has to be done. You don’t have time to go get drunk at clubs. That’s not part of your job. I’m not stupid. I wouldn’t sign her up for things that weren’t important.”

 

“Why did she have an interview at a soft rock station?” I butt in and I glare at the wall, imagining her frizzy light brown hair. She’s gone a little nuts. I think she’s just lost it. Maybe she needs a day of relaxation like I did.

 

“Excuse me?” Oh, wow. Or maybe she’s just psychotic. “I think I’ve given you too much power. Keep her on schedule but from now I’m going to handle the actual scheduling part. I’m the manager, not you. You assist her, that’s all you do. You help her out, that’s it. I don’t want to have another problem with another PA. Don’t try to act like you have more responsibility that you actually do. Is that clear?”

 

It takes all the power in my being to just say, “Yes, Angie,” and not anything else to her. I’m about ready to cuss her out but I’m finally starting to like my job and that wouldn’t be the best thing. Of course, now I’m going to hate it again that I have to go back to being a slave driver and I hate that. I hate having Meredith hate me. It makes things so unpleasant and so much more difficult.

 

“She must go to every scheduled appointment left on her itinerary, NO excuses. From now on, the rest of your time in New York I would like you to call me three times a day, in the morning at 9, at 2 in the afternoon and at 7. I don’t care what you are doing, you call me and let me know how things are going. I’m not going to have her reputation be ruined again because her assistant can’t keep her in line and can’t keep her partying ways to herself.”

 

“But I thought…”

 

She cuts me off again and I pull the phone away and stick up my middle finger at it. I feel like throwing it. Damn, I haven’t been this angry in so long. “I have some important calls to make. Tell Meredith to call me within the hour. I have some things to discuss with her as well.” There’s a click and I snap the phone shut, throw it on the carpet and cross my arms over my chest.

 

Fucking psychotic bitch.

 

I’m furious. I stand up and immediately start to pace. Someone’s going to pay for this. Someone needs to have their ass whipped for fucking this up for me. I’m not ready to be fired, not again, not for something that really wasn’t my fault. I storm over to Meredith’s closed door. But then I realize, none of this is her fault. Well inadvertently it is, but she didn’t ask me to cancel those appointments and it wasn’t her that convinced me to take them out last night.

 

I laugh and shake my head. It’s about time that little piece of shit knows what I really think of him. It’s his fault, all his fucking fault for tricking me like he did. He’s an asshole. I march over to the couch, grab my phone up from the floor, dig in my satchel and pull out a few things before walking into my bedroom. I know that if I get on the phone with him I might wake up Teddy and Meredith with all my yelling and I don’t want to do that. I shut the door and go over and open a window.

 

I get it set up, the chair by the window, I put my earpiece into my phone so my hands are free and I pull out my pack of cigarettes. I’m trying to quit and I haven’t had one in a day or two and right now, this is going to be heaven. I find his number in my phone from the recent calls and press send to let it dial. I smile. Oh this is going to be fun.

 

The cigarette relaxes me for a moment but as soon as I hear, “Trace Ayala’s phone…” I immediately tense up again.

 

I don’t really know what to say and so I just take another drag as he goes, “Hello?” He sighs. “What do you want Courtney?”

 

I cough. “What?”

 

“Yeah, well over the past few days I’ve had to talk to you on the phone, so I kind of have you programmed. I knew it was you when it rang.” His laugh is deep and I feel like a moron for a second.

 

“Oh.”

 

“So, what can I do for you? Miss me already?”

 

I gag to myself and say to him, “You fucked me over.”

 

“And how did I do that?” I absolutely hate that he is mocking me. His tone is all but serious and I can hear him laughing to himself. I hope he’s on the plane and his cell phone will interfere and make the plane crash.

 

“Angie, Meredith’s manager, found out about last night and about her missing some appointments today.”

 

“Man, that blows.”

 

“And you’re to blame.”

 

“Right, ‘cause I called and canceled and I told Meredith she could go out last night.”

 

I hate this. I wish he were here so I could just slap him in person. “You manipulated me!” I yell.

 

“I did not!” He yells back. Ooo, I think I’ve struck a chord. “I’m just a very, very good at convincing women to do what I want.”

 

Oh, now that just pisses me off. Who the hell does he think he is? Some fucking great womanizing Fabio type? Yeah right you little ugly troll. “You little fucking- Why are you trying to ruin my career!”

 

“I’m not. It is my job to keep my boss happy and right now what makes my boss happy, is your boss. So I’m gonna do what I can to make sure he can see her.”

 

“She’s not my boss.”

 

He starts to laugh and I know I’ve said something wrong. I know that technically Meredith is my boss but I don’t know. I just don’t get that feeling with her. She asks me things, but doesn’t order me around. I’m the one having to tell her what to do. I don’t think she would really know what to do with authoritative power. “Oh, yes she is. I think that’s your problem. You’re treating her like you’re her boss. You are her assistant, not her manager. Now I don’t know why in the hell Angie is overworking her and giving you scheduling responsibilities. I’ve never met the chick but she must be lazy or something.”

 

“Not lazy enough to almost fire me.”

 

“Look, don’t think about blaming me for a damn thing. You made these decisions on your own. If you let every guy that comes along pressure you into doing something then damn, I feel sorry for you.” I grit my teeth. Why is he saying shit like this? Yeah, ok so it’s a little pathetic for me to take this out on him, but I have to take it out on someone and while I know it’s mostly my fault he does have a little part in this. No, NO! He has a huge part. And now he’s acting like I can’t handle myself with men. I can handle myself just fucking fine, thank you! “Is that what your deal is Courtney, you let men walk all over you, so you put up this bitchy front?”

 

“Don’t try to psychoanalyze me, Trace. Just stay away from me from now on.”

 

This conversation has gotten old, fast.

 

“That’s gonna be kind of hard to do, sweetheart.”

 

I can’t help but laugh and smile a little bit. He’s so stupid. He’s just trying to piss me off now and it’s pathetic and childish. “Don’t call me that.”

 

“Why?” His voice lowers. “Does it get your panties all twisted?”

 

I laugh even more. I don’t know but something about this whole conversation just seems pointless now. “Would you shut up? Why do you assume every woman wants you? You did that the other night at the club. I’m sorry but you’re not that attractive, Trace.”

 

“My wallet is, and so is my best friend.”

 

“Oh and you think it’s pathetic that I apparently let men walk all over me? Wow, look in the mirror sometime, buddy.” If he really is like that and thinks that all he needs is a lot of money and a famous friend then he needs to be slapped. Yeah, so some girls would go for that. Some girls would shit themselves at the chance to be with someone like that. But the normal girls, the girls that would end up meaning something, the girls guys would want to marry, they don’t fall for that kind of shit. They’re smarter than that.

 

I’m smarter than that.

 

“Why did you really call me, Courtney?” He sighs and sounds a little annoyed on the phone. At least, I think that’s an annoyed tone. He’s really good at covering up his emotions. I’ve noticed that. He can turn everything into a joke. I hate that. Like at the club I tried to start having a real conversation about him, about work, about how it was to be personal assistant to someone so famous. And he had to go and make a joke about how the freebies were great and the pussy was better. I smacked him in the arm and he just laughed and then looked at me for a really, really long time.

 

It made me uncomfortable and I just attributed it to the fact that he had been nursing a bottle Jack Daniels all night. Thankfully, Teddy came up shortly after and told us about the paparazzi and I was able to forget Trace’s staring and forget trying to have a conversation with him.

 

“I called to yell at you for being an asshole.”

 

“Yeah, but you knew I was one when we met, so why are you acting all surprised now? You should have known better than to trust a guy like me. So really, why’d you call? Miss me already?”

 

I laugh. God, he wishes. “You’re an ass.”

 

“You love me.” He’s laughing over the phone. It’s…oh my god, is he trying to flirt with me? This is pure comedy if he is. What the hell is he doing? Has he really stooped so low as to finding someone like me attractive? I’m not his type. He wants a blonde bimbo that doesn’t talk and only spreads her legs. ‘Cause he’s a man and men are pathetic creatures too obsessed with sex. Too bad I’m not a lesbian. I think my life would be a lot happier.

 

“God, you’re hilarious.”

 

I think he chuckles and says “I know” but it’s static for a moment and then clears up again. I stub out my cigarette and contemplate lighting another, but then I realize that my nerves are calm and I’ve pretty much forgotten or either stopped caring about Angie. She’ll get over it, and from now on I’ll do everything right. I’ll have to. “How about this, since you think I’m so evil and you hate me, why don’t I make it up to you and take you out sometime?”

 

I pause and wait for him to bust out laughing.

 

But he never does.

 

“You’ve lost it.”

 

He chuckles a little, “I’m being serious.”

 

“But I’m probably not going to see you for a while.” I quickly add. “Thank God.” I can’t have him getting any ideas that I might like him or something.

 

“I wouldn’t be so sure.”

 

“What?”

 

He laughs and I hate to admit that his deep voice, all whispered over the phone could be a turn on for some girls. But not this girl. “I have my secret ways. I’ll see you in a week, I’m sure. And we’ll go out and have a good time. Just us.”

 

I laugh at him. He really is silly and pathetic. “Why do you assume that I want to go out with you?”

 

“’Cause you like me.”

 

I pull the phone away and stare at it. Yup, he’s lost it. I think something’s in the air, some contagious disease that makes people go insane for a day. I was insane yesterday and Angie and him are today. That’s the only explanation. “Yeah right.” I hear him sigh heavily over the phone and then he starts to crack up. Yup, lost it completely. “Why are you laughing?”

 

“I’m sorry we didn’t get to kiss goodbye.”

 

I laugh myself and can’t help but smile. This kid is crazy. “Oh shut up.”

 

“You think I’m cute. Admit it.”

 

I reach over and shut the window before moving from my chair over to the bed. “I think you’re stupid and pathetic and I’m hanging up now.”

 

“Ok.” I wait on the line because I know he has some other smart ass comment to say to me. I wait a few seconds and finally he says, “Are you going to hang up or just stay on the phone and wet yourself over hearing me breathe?”

 

“Ass.” I end the call and pull the ear piece out before throwing the phone to the end of the bed. He’s ridiculous. I start to smile. It’s funny. For some reason that adorable asshole quality he has, I guess it’s kind of charming. It’s boyish and it’s pathetic but it’s kind of cute. Not saying that I’d even what to attempt going down that path. But he’s harmless and he’s funny.

 

At least I’ll have a laugh whenever Meredith and Justin are together. It’ll be better than being alone. As long as he can not be such a womanizing pig, or at least stop pretending to be one, and as long as he doesn’t annoy me too badly. I guess, I guess things aren’t as grim as I thought they were. I mean, I think I was just having a bad day yesterday. Ok, so I’ve been having a bad week.

 

But I don’t know. I guess, in some weird way, Trace has made me see that sometimes I’m going to have to do things that I don’t want to, that it’s my responsibility to keep her happy, not give my two cents on everything and to be willing to work with her. I tell you, today has been much, much easier to work with her than the past few days. And maybe, maybe she just needed to warm up to me.

 

Things are going to change, promotion week is almost over and while we’ll have another one in a month when her album comes out, I’ll be more experienced and we’ll both know how to manage it better. ‘Cause, I actually kind of like this job. It makes me feel important and even though Trace is right and she is my boss, I still feel in charge and in control. And it’s calming to be in control.

 

There’s a soft knock on my door and it cracks open. “Court?”

 

I sit up and see her head pop in the door. “What’s up?”

 

“Oh, nothing.” She comes in a little further changed into stretch pants and a plain white, men’s t shirt that doesn’t look like it belongs to her. She looks at me and then at the floor for a moment. “I just…I wanted to say thanks.”

 

“For what?”

 

She sighs, looks at me and sits down on the edge of the bed. “Getting in trouble for me.”

 

“What?”

 

She passes me a sympathetic look. “Angie just called me.”

 

“Oh.” I wonder what the psycho bitch said about me. Shit, I hope Meredith didn’t go off and tell her I was horrible. Maybe I should start packing.

 

“I didn’t mean for you to almost lose your job. I told her we were getting along great and so there was no need for a new assistant. ‘Cause, I mean, I know I’m a pain but you’re really good at this and you’re good at keeping me in line and I just, I need someone as structured as you to help me learn to be more like that. Ever…ever since Leah I’ve kinda let everything just fall in to place and I know that’s not just going to happen magically. I’m gonna try really hard to make things easier for you.”

 

I smile at her. Ya know, it could be a lot, lot worse. I could be with some diva who didn’t give a shit about me or my feelings. But this girl cares. She’s genuine and I know that’s really rare in this business. Maybe, maybe I was wrong the other day when I said we’d never be friends. Maybe we’ll get along a lot better than I thought. “It’s ok. Thanks for sticking up for me.”

 

“I really am gonna try not to be a pain.”

 

It’s funny. We’re the same age, and yet, right now I feel so much older than her, almost like I’m a big sister or her mom. She’s apologizing to me and really has no reason to. Maybe she’s just a little immature. Maybe she needs someone like me to help guide her. I hide the urge to roll my eyes. I’d probably guide her into failure. “You’re not a pain. I just had to get use to this. I didn’t expect to have this much work and I didn’t expect you to start dating someone the first week.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

I laugh, she really needs to stop apologizing. “Don’t be sorry. I’m happy for you. As long as you guys can remain happy and supportive of each other and not worry about all the little petty things in relationships then I think it’ll be great for you. It’ll be nice to have that kind of backbone when you’re so busy.”

 

She nods and looks at her nails and picks at them. I want to ask her to stop. I don’t want to have to worry about scheduling a manicure before we leave. By now, I’m sure Angie will fire me if she finds out her client breaks a nail. And I mean what I say about her and Justin, if they can keep it together it’ll be great. But I don’t know, for some reason I have a feeling there’s going to be drama and she’s gonna get her heart broken and he’s gonna want her back and I’ll be there stuck in the middle, trying to put the pieces back together. And I was not hired to do puzzles.

 

“So what do you think about Trace?”

 

I gasp and look at her. What does that mean? “What?”

 

She smiles and leans towards me, getting an excited look in her eyes. “Just tell me. Do you like him?”

 

“No!” I exclaim. What the hell is this? First him, now her. I feel my face burn but I’m not embarrassed ‘cause I don’t like him and I don’t know why I’m blushing. I’m probably just so mad and frustrated. Why do people always assume I like some random guy I just met? I don’t. God, they were the ones forcing me on him.

 

“Aww,” She pouts and scoots off the bed. “I was hoping for some double dates. Well, I’m gonna go take a nap. I have time, right?”

 

I look at my watch. “’Bout an hour. I’ll wake you up.”

 

She goes to the door and turns around to me. “Thanks Courtney. I might forget to say it and I know this is your job and all, but I really do appreciate your help.”

 

I smile at her. “You’re welcome.” She closes the door behind her and I sigh and lay back against the covers. Well, that was nice. I mean, besides her thinking I like Trace, which I don’t, that was sweet of her. She didn’t have to do that. This isn’t going to be so bad after all. And the pay is great and I get to travel.

 

I just need to suck it up, suck up my pride and get over some of my issues and I think this job is gonna be just fine. As long as I don’t listen to any “Trace fairies” and as long as I stop acting like everything Meredith does ruins my life.

 

‘Cause she doesn’t. We’re just different and that’s ok. Plus, not she, nor Trace nor Angie or anyone else couldn’t ruin my life if they tried.

 

Keith took care of that a long time ago.
Chapter 7 by Mere

Studio 3, 2:45 p.m.

 

I know I shouldn’t, but what the fuck? It’s finished. Finally fucking finished and that calls for a celebration. I can’t believe the guys came in here like they did, with champagne bottles and girls and fun stuff. Crazy mother fuckers. But it’s fucking finished, and I don’t really know why I’m sitting here at the controls still recording. Tim says we need a moan or a sex “yeah” for the single. But what would he know? He’s making out with Jess right now. We’re gonna see how it works, though. And then I’m gonna have to call this party short, at least on my part. Trace told me to keep my afternoon free, that he had some big plans for us.

 

I wonder what that crazy bitch has in store.

 

“So, what do I do?” I look up, take a hit from the joint Craig rolled for me earlier and smile at Shauna. She’s such a ditz. Cute, but ain’t got nothing on my woman. Still, the guys are trying to force her onto me and I’m sorry, I ain’t into that. “Just say ‘yeah’ into the thing.”

 

“What thing?”

 

I laugh. “The microphone.”

 

“Pretend it’s Justin’s cock.”

 

I roll my eyes.

 

“Just say ‘yeah’ and pretend that J-man here is fucking you doggie style.” Everyone laughs and she giggles and winks at me. I just I cut up. I tell you, these kids are crazy. They don’t even know what’s going on. They know I’m seeing someone, but I haven’t told them who yet. I know Tim worked with her on her new album and I know he might shit his pants if he finds out. Plus, I don’t want them thinking I’m with her just cause she apparently ‘does chicks, too’. She’s doesn’t. I know that for a fact. I mean, it’d be hot if she did. But I’d rather just have her to myself. Hell, by this point I’d just rather have her. I know it’s a bastard thing to say, but I really really hope she lets me have sex with her. I know she’s got some standards or something, but damn. She’s hot and I can really see myself going, going the love route for her ya know. And her body is just too damn fine for me not to be able to see it all naked. Maybe if she doesn’t wanna have sex I can at least get her to strip for me or something. I bet she’ll do it if I go down on her. Shit, I bet she’d be squealing and moaning and I bet she tastes...

 

I shake my head. I can’t be thinking that kind of shit with all the fellas around and them trying to force these girls on me. They’re both pretty hot, not really my style, but hot none the less. Me thinking about sex with Mere ain’t gonna help this situation at all. I probably need to call her soon. I’ll call in a bit. Make her smile a little bit, talk dirty to her on the phone like I did a couple nights ago. It was hilarious and hot. I started saying all this shit about how hot she was and how good her kisses were and she kept telling me to stop talking but I could tell she liked it. Especially when I whispered to her that I wanted to touch her, like…touch her. She got all quiet on the phone and told me she’d call me back the next day.

 

Ya know, I gotta wonder if she went and…took care of things. Ok, Justin. You gotta stop this. I shake my head, but she doesn’t go away. I’m still thinking about that tight little body of hers. But ya know, yesterday when I called her she sounded weird on the phone, like worried and anxious or somethin’.

 

I hope she’s not gonna be someone that can’t handle long distance relationships. ‘Cause then this shit ain’t gonna work. And that would suck.

 

“Shauna, just say ‘yeah’ when I point to you, alright?” She nods and I turn the track on. I gotta admit, this song is a jam. I can’t help but dance when I listen to it. I take another hit and laugh a little about how it makes me feel. Craig always brings the best fucking weed when I record with him. I stand up and jive a little with Scottie. Then I turn it up louder and get ready to point to Shuana.

 

I point to her and she does it perfectly. Girl sounds like she’s getting laid real well! Oh shit, she just grabbed her tits. I flick the music off and we all yell at her and she laughs. She’s a crazy chick. I turn and to look at Tim who’s laughing with Jess, “Did you see what she just did?”

 

He nods and I laugh and look up at the door.

 

“Oh…shit.”

 

I blink, thinking maybe this weed has something extra in it. But she’s still there, eyes huge, looking all cute and fine. Where the fuck did she come from? She stares at me and slowly the room gets quiet. I look around and they’re all staring at her or at me. Oh shit, I don’t wanna have to deal with this, with them asking question. I wonder how long she’s been standing there.

 

“What are you doing here?” I ask.

 

She licks her lips but doesn’t move from where her back is plastered against the wall. "I, I came to surprise you."

 

“Oh…” Well I guess that makes sense. I hope she didn’t hear them talking all that shit to me and Shuana. I don’t wanna fight this early in our relationship or whatever. I don’t really have the energy to do it right now, anyway.

 

“Sorry." Why she saying that? I mean, she wanted to surprise me. She fucking did. I shake my head and hand my joint over to Scottie before walking towards her. It’s weird. Why is she staring at me all shocked? Hello, I’m supposed to be the one all surprised not you, girl. I watch her look around and see her eyes lock onto something. She sucks in a breath and stares at me. I glance to see what she was looking at.

 

It’s just Craig lining up some coke.

 

I look at her.

 

Oh shit. Oh fuck no. Don’t tell me she’s one of those goody goodies. Don’t tell me she’s about to freak out on me.

 

I softly say to her, “Just give me a few minutes. I’ll meet you outside.”

 

She just stares at me and then someone yells, “Oh shit, Justin. That’s who you’re fucking?” Everyone starts to laugh, but I don’t and she don’t. She just stares at me with that same damn deer in headlights look. God, stop it! It’s annoying me. This isn’t good. I don’t wanna fight with her, but I’m starting to get a headache and I’m starting to get tired of being in this studio.

 

“You owe me a Benjamin J-money! I told you I'd figure it out!" I wanna tell Scott to shut the fuck up. And I almost do, I almost turn around and tell him to go eat shit and then take Mere outside and talk to her. I think she needs me to explain some shit.

 

“J baby, who's the cutie?" I feel someone’s hand rub across my shoulders and it gives me chills. And then I see Shauna there. She keeps her hand on my shoulder. I try to shrug it off. "Oh shit, it’s that Meredith girl. Join the party sweetheart."

 

I’m thankful when she goes to sit on Craig’s lap and starts doing some coke. Meredith’s just stares at them and gulps. This sucks ass. “Look, just go wait outside. I’ll be out in a minute.”

 

She licks her lips and continues to stare at them. Don’t tell me she’s never seen anyone do that before. She’s been in this business for a few years. She should know what goes down. “What are you going to do?” She whispers and looks at me like she’s scared.

 

I reach and open the door behind her, for her. “I’ll just be out in a minute, alright?” She takes in a breath, goes out the door and shuts it behind her. This is just fucking great. Now I’m gonna have to explain to her about all this and I shouldn’t have to. So what? We were having a party. It’s her fault for busting in like she did. She should be able to handle herself. It’s not like we were gonna force her to try anything.

 

And it’s not like I was gonna do any hard core shit. Just get a little high and then go out with Trace. Oh…now I get it. Trace was in on this. She was the plan for this afternoon. I scratch my head and go sit at the controls for a second to collect my thoughts.

 

Someone sits beside me and I see Tim next to me, staring at me. “Why didn’t you tell me you were dating short stuff?”

 

“It just started.” I shrug. “I didn’t want to make it a big deal.”

 

“She looked kinda freaked or upset.”

 

I nod and rub my hands over my face. Maybe this party thing was a bad idea. But it’s not like I had a choice! They just busted up in here with all this shit. They forced Shauna on me and when I told them I was taken they went crazy and forced her on me even harder. But I’m passed all this fucking random chicks. I got my own girl now.

 

“You might wanna go find her before she gets more upset.”

 

“Yeah, guess so.” He’s right, so I stand up, shake my head, trying to get rid of this feeling of being high. That’s the only problem that I can find with it. It takes forever to come down and get back to where everything’s clear. I mean I love the feeling, but I can’t handle it right now.

 

I go out the door, walk out and find her sitting in this lounge area where there are couches and a TV and a fridge and a little sink and shit. The TV’s on, some courtroom show, but she’s not looking at it.

 

I go and sit by her after pressing power on the TV. She smells good. Damn, and her legs are all tanned and smooth. I smile. She got pretty just for me. I lean into her and start to kiss her, but she pulls away. “Oh come on now girl, you know you want it.”

 

She just stares at me for a minute and sits up. “Not right now.”

 

“What?” I glare at her. What the hell is she trying to pull now? She’s not making any sense. I try again, this time pulling her against me and kissing her neck like I know she likes. She squirms and I hold her tighter, laughing a little. Her skin’s soft and she feels good.

 

“Get off me, Justin!”

 

I let go of her and watch her. She sits on the far end of the couch and looks away from me, her legs are crossed and her arms too. She’s totally pulled away from me right now and I don’t understand it. “What’s got you all closed off? It was just a party.”

 

She still doesn’t look at me and glances down at her nails and picks at them. “I didn’t know you partied that hard.”

 

I laugh. She’s gotta be joking. “It was just some weed.”

 

She looks at me and I hate the look she’s giving me. It’s disapproving and it’s unattractive. “Didn’t really look like just some weed Justin. Is this what you do when I’m not around? Drugs and sluts.”

 

I shake my head. She has no right talking about Shauna and Jess like that. Ok, so they might be a little easy, but whatever. “You don’t even know them.”

 

She bites her lip and glares at me. She’s acting like a child. She can not be serious right now. “She was all over you. I knew you could party, but I didn’t know…I didn’t know you did…” She sucks her bottom lip in between her teeth and doesn’t look at me and doesn’t finish her sentence. It’s pissing me off, this, however she’s acting. I mean, get over it! I wanna hang out with her, but she just wants to yell at me and be pissed cause of something I couldn’t control. And I stopped partying with hard shit a while back.

 

“I haven’t done coke in year or so.” I say to her.

 

Her eyes bug out at me and she stares. “You’ve done it before.”

 

So maybe I shouldn’t have said that but I’m trying to be honest. I’m not like a drug addict. I like to get high every now and then, but the hard shit I’m not a big fan of. I mean I’ve tried it, but it’s not that big of a deal and I honestly didn’t like it all that much. But she’s just going to have to get over it. I mean, sometimes I’m around people doing harder shit than just alcohol and weed. If she wants to be with me, well she’s gonna have to get use to it. She’s being all Miss Priss, all uptight and goody goody and I can’t handle people like that.

 

She just needs to chill.

 

“Why are you acting like this?”

 

“You’re…” She shakes her head and sounds like she’s gonna cry. Don’t even try that. “I thought you were different.”

 

“You thought I was different?” I laugh and stand up. It makes me dizzy for a second, but I get my bearings kind of quickly and point at her. The bitch has pissed me off now! What did she think I was? What did she expect? It’s not like we know each other that well. Damn, I thought she was a little more laid back than this! I thought she was more mature, but nope, she’s just like every other damn girl I meet. “You thought I was different! I thought you weren’t so naïve about this shit. I thought you actually knew something. But ya know what? You’re just a stupid little girl, aren’t you? Acting all shy and innocent about this shit. Either you’re putting on a front or you really don’t know anything about what you’re dealing with. I want a woman who’s mature, Meredith. Not some little girl who freaks out when she’s in a situation she’s not use to. And I don’t want some girl that’s terrified of sex.”

 

She narrows her eyes and stands up close to me. “Excuse me?”

 

“Well you are.” I shrug and then mock her. I’m serious, this “I’m not ready” crap she was pulling in New York annoyed me. I wanna get down and all she wants to do is kiss. Please. “That’s why you’re all always like ‘not yet, let’s wait.’”

 

She shakes her head and starts to cry, covering her face with her hands. Oh great, now…now she’s gonna try and make me feel like shit. “You’re not supposed to be like this.”

 

“Well how am I supposed to be Meredith? I’m not some perfect guy! And I’m not just gonna wait around and change myself to be with you.” I yell at her and she just sits back down and wipes at her face and looks to the side, not looking at me. Well, well fuck that! She’s spoiling my fun! Ya know, I was gonna invite her to join in, but clearly she’s too uppity to want to have fun with me. I bet she just wants to look good for her album. She probably doesn’t even give a shit about me. “Ya know, I was having a damn good time and you have to come down here and spoil it acting all high and mighty. You’re not better than me.”

 

I cross my arms and wish I could either have that joint back and get high some more or completely clear up so that I can think right. I’m a little dizzy and my head’s clouded and there’s this ringing in my ears. And she’s just gonna sit there and cry and it…it’s making me feel sick.

 

She shakes her head and says quietly, “Do you hear yourself?”

 

I go and sit down in a chair and stare at her. She doesn’t look at me, just sits there and cries silently. I hate this. I hate this so much. I just want her to go away and leave me alone and stop making me feel like shit. “Ya know, if you wanna stay and have a good time, please, feel free. But if you wanna freak out and act like your acting now, like some stupid little naïve uptight bitch, then go and leave. I don’t want you around.” She turns and stares at me. I stare back at her, mocking that stupid little glare she’s sending me. I laugh at her. She’s being absolutely ridiculous right now. “That Courtney bitch is having way too much influence on you. You weren’t this uptight in LA. I noticed it in New York but I just thought you were stressed. I guess I was fucking wrong.”

 

She shakes her head, grabs the purse by her feet and stands up. “You just ruined everything.”

 

She starts to walk away form me and I don’t want her to. She’s not supposed to leave. “Fuck, I ain’t ruined shit!” I yell at her. I try to stand up out of my seat, but I can’t move.

 

I just watch her disappear and hear her call back to me, “You’re an asshole.”

 

I hear a door open and then close and figure she must have left.

 

Shit.

 

She left.

 

Well, fuck her. Fuck her getting all mad at me and crying. Fuck her and her, her smile and laugh and all that shit. And tellin’ me she liked me in New York. Ya know, fuck her looking beautiful and shit. Fuck her coming down here to surprise me and to spend…spend some time…

 

Oh fuck.

 

I lean forward and feel like I’m going to puke. My head is throbbing and I start to realize what I just did. Don’t tell me I just did what I just did. Don’t tell me I let her walk away and let her feel horrible. Why did I do that? Why am I such an idiot?

 

I stand up and start to pace. What the hell was that? What the hell was I thinking? I, I knew how she was, I knew who she was. I knew she couldn’t handle stuff like that. I know she’s not all that experienced in the world and, and here I go making her feel like crap about it. How could you be so stupid! I smack my fist into my palm and sit back down and put my head in my hands. I’m not going to be able to fix this. I’m not gonna be able to make this work now. And it was just starting, it hadn’t even really begun.

 

And I know, I know that girl likes me, I know she really cares for me, genuinely, or at least she did. I just, I just got so mad ‘cause I knew, I knew we were gonna fight and I knew when she saw all that crap that she was going to think twice about me and I didn’t want her doubting me. I’m not this great person that she thinks I am. I fuck up. I’m probably gonna hurt her at some point. I guess it’s good that I went ahead and got it over with.

 

And ruined everything in the process.

I gotta fix this. I, I just have to. I have to find a way to get this to work. It’s...it’s only been a week, a fucking week since I first kissed her and, and now I’m ruining it. I pull out my phone and get up and pace through the hall. She doesn’t answer and I don’t expect her to. I don’t leave a voicemail knowing I’ll just, I’ll just sound pathetic. So I just pace some more trying my damndest to figure out what I’m going to do.

 

What the hell can I do?

 

My phone starts ringing in my hand and I look anxiously at the caller id. Thank God. My head’s starting to clear up a bit. That migraine isn’t going away, though. It’s Trace. Good, Trace. I’m going to need him.

 

I answer the phone, “Thank God you called.”

 

“What the fuck did you do?”

 

Shit. I suck in a breath and lean against the wall. “Did she call you?”

 

“What the fuck did you do?”

 

I slide down it and sit on the floor, hitting the back of my head against the hard surface. I fucked up. I admit that and now I just want someone to come beat me in the head and rid me of my misery. “Ruined it. Fucking went out of my head, man. I…I gotta fix it. I don’t know how. But I have to Trace.”

 

It’s quiet for a moment and I hear him suck in a breath and ask me, “You actually told her she was being a bitch?”

 

Shit, I didn’t even realize I did that. God, now I don’t even remember half of what I said. “I fucked up man. She came in and I was shocked and the guys were having a party and she was flipping cause there was coke and some girls there and, and, now she hates me.”

 

“I think she has good reason to!” It’s weird. Trace is angry with me, disappointed and normally he doesn’t interfere with this stuff unless I ask him to. I mean, I’m gonna ask him to, but, but he knows I fucked up and I think whatever she told him, whatever I did, well now he thinks I’m an asshole, too!

 

Maybe it’s ‘cause I am a fucking asshole. And I don’t deserve someone like her. Maybe I should just move on. “Do you know how much work she’s put into this?”

 

I had been tapping the floor in a nervous motion but I stop and suddenly that urge to vomit comes back to me full force. “Into what?”

 

“God Dammit Justin! She’s been planning this all week, so have I. She fucking rented out a nice ass beach house in this private neighborhood for us to hang out when you weren’t working. She’s got shit planned. Hell, I was in the middle of packing up our shit to move it over there, but she called me and told me that you weren’t welcome there anymore and that if you even tried to show up she was going to have Teddy kick your ass!”

 

“Fuck.” I’m beyond being an asshole. I’m the bad guy now and there’s nothing to forgive me for that.

 

“Yeah, fuck.” He laughs and I can picture him shaking his head and thinking that I’m the biggest fool. I am the biggest fool.

 

“You gotta do something Trace.” I feel myself start to get emotional and pinch the bridge of my nose. She’s perfect. She’s…she’s everything I want, beautiful and smart and kind and real and genuine and funny and she sees me and gets me and I made her feel like she didn’t understand me, like she was beneath me. She should have smacked me and told me to go fuck off, but she didn’t. She just sat there and couldn’t stand to look at me and she cried. And now I’m crying and I look like a pussy and I don’t care. “I…I wanna be with this girl.”

 

“Then fucking act like it Justin. What the hell were you thinking?” I know it’s pathetic but I burst into tears. I really wanna be with this girl. I like her a lot and now I’ve ruined it and…and now I’m gonna be alone again and I was fine with being alone when I didn’t have anyone but, but now there is someone, someone I want so bad. She’s the only one I want and I don’t want to be with out her. I can’t be, not when it’s got the potential to be so damn good.

 

I sniff and hear him ask, “Are you high?”

 

I cough and rub my eyes. I’m a mess, I’m a fucking mess. “A little.”

 

“Jesus Christ Justin.”

 

“I wasn’t planning on it, they just brought it.” I wipe my nose with the bottom of my t-shirt and run a hand over my face. I hope one of the guys don’t come out here and see me. That’d be embarrassing. But I deserve it. I deserve to be humiliated.

 

“You always get this irrational.” He mumbles and then sighs, “Look, I’ll come get you in a bit and we’ll talk and figure something out. I’m supposed to have dinner with Courtney tonight, anyway. I’m sure she’s gonna be real pleasant when she finds out what you did.”

 

I clear my throat. I know I’m being irrational, I just wish I could stop. I wish I had stopped before. I wish when she had entered I had gone right to her and kissed her and took her away and spent time with her. But instead I freaked out. She was freaking but I fucking freaked out, too. And I treated her horribly and now, now I’m sure she never wants anything to do with me again. “Do you think she hates me?”

 

“Justin, that girl…” I hear him sigh again and he says, “That girl has been practically in love with you since she met you. I hope it works out but I can’t promise you anything right now and I can’t work miracles. You fucked up and you’re gonna have to deal with that.”

 

“I’ll do whatever I have to.”

 

“Just sober up, I can’t stand it when you get this emotional about shit.”

 

I hear the phone click and sniff and pull it away from my ear. I guess I am being pretty ridiculous just sitting here crying about something I could have handled a lot better. This girl just, I don’t know, she scares me. And I know it’s too soon and I know now it’ll probably never happen but, but I’ve been thinking the past week. I’ve been thinking about how I feel about her and about how we’ll work. I know I can fall in love with this girl and I know if I do it’s going to be fantastic. But then it might mess up. But now I’ve messed any chance of it even starting! I’m willing to do whatever I have to to get her back. I just hope whatever it is it’ll be enough.
Chapter 8 by Mere

Bistro 618, 7:59

 

She’s late.  Almost thirty minutes.  She’s late and it’s something I would never, ever expect from her.  My water has been refilled twice already and I’m not a big water drinker.  I assumed about fifteen minutes ago that she had stood me up.  I assumed she wanted a good laugh, claimed she’d come out to eat with me just to make me sit here and look like a fool.  I figured she was outside with Meredith in a concealed car laughing her ass off and both of them talking about how men were scum.  But then she called, said she was sorry and she would be here as soon as possible and then hung up.

 

I guess technically she could still stand me up, but something in her voice sounded rather annoyed and rushed on the phone.  It shouldn’t really worry me whether she comes or not.  It’s not like this is a date.  It’s just a casual dinner, where I can annoy the shit out of her and see those funny little faces she makes.  And well I have to admit that since the club, ever since we went to Suede I’ve found her, well, attractive.  But I don’t like her, I would never, ever (and I mean ever) want to have a relationship with her.  She’s way too uptight and snotty for me, but you could say I’m interested in her.  I just want to get to know her a little better.

 

Actually, what I’m looking for is a distraction.  Elisha called me again, about two fucking seconds after Justin went to bed last night after he spent all evening sobbing to me.  Well, he wasn’t crying he just, he was pissed off at himself and miserable and he had a damn good reason to.  Meredith’s a good girl and he blew it.  But anyway, Elisha called and started saying crazy shit.  She just wanted to talk, and said she was reminded of me and missed me and want to see how I was doing.

 

What the hell is that bull shit?

 

Of course, then I find out her and her boyfriend had this big fight.  So she calls me thinking that’ll make it better.  I cussed her out on the phone. And it was mean and it was wrong, but it felt damn good.  Maybe she’ll stop calling.  I mean, I don’t call her at all.  It’s like she broke up with me but still wants me to need her and be there in the distance just in case.  That’s pathetic.  And I’m getting to the point where I want nothing to do with her.  Before I kind of hoped for a phone call, but now it’s just getting annoying.  Now, maybe, finally now I’m ready to move on. 

 

And having dinner with Courtney is a step in that direction.  God, I’m not saying I’m gonna go out and marry her, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been alone in female company that wasn’t a family member.  And it’ll be good for work too since Justin and Meredith are together and we’ll be forced to spend so much time together.

 

Well, they aren’t together right now.  Actually, tonight is less about getting to know Courtney better and more about me trying to get Justin to stop moping around the condo.  It’s all he’s done all day and all yesterday.  In fact Courtney and I were supposed to go out last night, but she called, told me Meredith needed her and we rescheduled.  I just hope she’s not wearing khakis.

 

I actually have to wonder if she’s gonna take any of this out on me.  None of it is my fault, but I can see her stomping in here, throwing water on me and saying something stupid like, “Tell your client that was from my client.”  And she’d walk away all hot and pissed off.

 

Ok, she’s not hot.  She’s cute, decent.  Well, she’s kind of hot when she’s dressed up.  Kind of.  Like, I mean, she’s pretty.  It’s not like she’s ugly or anything.  But she’s not hot. 

 

Oh fuck.

 

Yes she is.

 

She’s not wearing khakis.  No, she has on heels, high heels, and a pretty tight black skirt and this top that is classy and yet, at the same time sexy as hell.  What the fuck?  This is khakis girl. She’s not supposed to look good!  She should have let me pick her up.  I asked her if I could.  I thought that would be better than me having to wait at a restaurant for her.  I really wanted to go in and see Mere and see how she was doing and see if she was even considering talking to Justin again so I’d know where he stood and could tell him and make my life easier.  But she said that was too much like a date, that me coming to their beach house in a hot sports car (I don’t know how she knew I wanted to drive Justin’s Porsche that we had sent down from Orlando) would be too presumptuous.  This, according to her, should be viewed as a business meeting, work related, nothing more.

 

Which really doesn’t help that fantasy I’ve had since I was seventeen about some uptight office chick giving me a blow job on a copy machine. 

 

She saunters towards the back of the restaurant where I’m standing to show her where I am and rolls her eyes at me.  “This isn’t a date, Trace.  I should have known when you said the word Bistro that you were just trying to get in my pants.”

 

I sit down after she plops down and blows a strand of hair out of her face.  She has her hair down and it’s pretty and looks soft.  I lean across the table and say in a low voice, “Well if this isn’t a date, dearest, why the hell are you dressed like it.”

 

She smiles and sits back.  Then she narrows her eyes and says with a biting attitude.   “I felt like getting pretty.”

 

“Ya know, this is supposed to be a decent night.  What’s with the attitude?”

 

She leans forward and glares. “What the hell is up with your client?”

 

I know she’s not about to blame this all on me.  Oh, but she is.  And I scoff and roll my eyes at her.  I know it’s childish and I hate doing it and hate when people do it to me.  But her ‘I think I’m mature’ actions which in reality are rather childish just make me crazy and turn me psychotic and I start acting just like her.  I know, it’s pathetic.  “Just cause Justin got high and his little evil personality came through doesn’t mean you can blame at me.  I had nothing to do with it.  I wasn’t even there.”

 

She shakes her head, but for the first time I see a bit of concern and not just bitchy attitude come across.  “She’s a wreck, Trace.”

 

“So is he.”

 

“It’s his fault!”

 

Bitchy attitude is back and I laugh and shake my head.  Why would I assume otherwise?  “He’s well aware.”

 

Just then a cute, short, blonde girl comes up.  She’s the one that’s asked me if I’d like something other than water about three times already.  She smiles at me and then Courtney, “Good evening, my name is Melanie.  Have you had a chance-“

 

Courtney cuts her off and I just stare.  “We’re gonna need a few minutes.”  A look of shock crosses the waitresses face and then she smiles and nods and says “sure” before running off. 

 

I just stare at her for a moment then finally say, “Well that was rude.”

 

She shrugs and waves her hand.  “I haven’t even been sitting here for five seconds, so yeah right I’ve had a chance to look at anything.  And plus I use to wait tables, she should get my drink order first.”

 

I just swallow this lump that’s formed in my throat.  Ok, so I kind of like getting under her skin but I was hoping it would be pleasant and all in good fun, not this insane attitude that she was showing in New York.  Every now and then it would drop and I’d get to see that she, in fact, knew how to smile and laugh.  And I liked that side, at least for the total of ten minutes that it was around.  Damn, this woman is frustrating enough for me to want to tear my own dick off.  Fuck!  I sigh and realize I should just stop whatever it is I’m doing to make her mad. 

 

“Well I’m paying, so get whatever you want,” I say, trying to be a gentleman.

 

She gives me a blank stare. “You’re not paying.”

 

I sigh.  Come on lady!  I’m trying to be nice and of course it just pisses her off more.  I lean forward and grit out to her.  “Don’t even think about pulling out that feminist bull shit on me.”

 

“This is not a date, Trace.”

 

Of course it’s not.  I know that.  I just got excited with having a nice evening and a nice dinner and hell, she’s the one wearing a low cut top and a skirt and has eye makeup on and shit.  I shrug.  I’m just in jeans and a shirt.  “I owe you for getting you in trouble with your boss, remember?”

 

Amazingly she laughs to herself and shakes her head.  “I’m not really mad at you about that anymore.”

 

“Really?”

 

“You were right.”  Am I hearing things?  This girl has to be bi-polar or something.  She was just biting my head off and now is saying I’m right about something.  “I don’t know what Angie was doing, but she said she was gonna do all the scheduling from now on.  And Meredith and I have sort of, well, we’ve started to get a long a little better.  I mean, she annoyed the shit out of me all last week getting this planned.  She just threw it on me at the last minute, just four days ago she told me that she wanted to come here and surprise him.  So then I have to bust my ass and find her a beach house and about half of the ones that I wanted to booked she didn’t like.  I hated that I had to play the celebrity card to get into the one we got.”

 

“That’s what you do in this business.  And I’m glad you guys are getting along.  It’ll make life so much easier for you.”

 

“Yeah, well, she took me shopping the day we got back from promo in New York.  Did she want to sleep?  No.  Did she want to go to her new house? No.  Did she let me go to my vacant brand new apartment I hadn’t even seen yet?  No.  We went straight to shopping and did it for hours until photographers came out and she wanted to get something to eat.  And then I spent the rest of the night helping her decorate her new house.  She’s been in there for two months and it still looks like she’s not even living there, yet.  But we made a big improvement.”

 

I smile at her.  She rambles.  She never seemed like the random type to me.  Rambling is what Meredith does and girls like her, girls who get excited about things and like to talk, bubbly girls with tons of personality.  Not stuffy, priss pots like Courtney.  And yet, here she is, surprising me again.

 

“And you loved every minute of it,” I say.  “Don’t deny it.”

 

She smiles.  She should do it more often.  “When she’s just being her normal self she’s not that bad of a girl.  She’s kind of fun.”

 

“Fun?  You had fun!”

 

“Shut up.” She laughs and playfully sticks her tongue at me.  I like this playful Courtney.  Dare I say, sexy Courtney.

 

“So, you gonna need any help moving into your new place?”

 

“I’m pretty much already moved.  I got one of those places with the furniture already in it.  It’s just a small condo close to the hills.  Plus, I think after tonight I might never see you again except on rare, awkward occasions.”

 

I stare.  She’s laughing but not really being sexy anymore.  She’s laughing like she’s happy about it.  Well fuck that, I’m glad I won’t get to see her either.  Wait, why won’t I get to see her?  “And why is that?  You quitting?”

 

“Meredith never wants to see Justin again.”

 

I shake my head and lean forward.  “She’ll change her mind.”

 

“She had her heart broken, Trace.  You don’t just recover from that.”

 

I take a sip of water, debate whether to say it and finally let it spill out. “Experience?”

 

“Maybe, hasn’t everyone?”

 

“Yeah, but I know that girl likes him too much not to give him a second chance.  Or least to let him explain himself.”

 

“What does he have to explain?” She shakes her head and leans in to talk in a quieter voice.  I try not to stare at her cleavage but, well I’m staring at her cleavage.  “He was doing drugs and hanging out with these girls and letting them hang all over him.  That’s what she said.  She said she slipped into the studio because she wanted to surprise him and everyone was talking about how some girl was pretending something was Justin’s penis.”

 

I run a hand over my face.  He told me everything, every detail, though I’m surprised it could remember it as well as he did.  He said he thought she came in after all that, but he was wrong and it’s gonna be harder for him to get himself out of this if she was there when they were throwing that Shauna girl on him.  “Shit, he hoped that she hadn’t been there to hear that part.”

 

“Ya know, I hear rumors and I always hate to believe them.  But I have to ask, is he really a player?”

 

“Justin?”  I laugh.  Of course, she’d think that.  “Girl, Justin is probably the most committed man I know.  When he’s not dating anyone he’ll play the field.  In the past, especially after relationships end for him, he’ll go in bachelor mode and just go find some random girls that are fine with only having one night.  But he doesn’t feel that way about Meredith.  She’s not random and he doesn’t want just one night.”

 

“Well, he made her feel like that.  She’s done nothing the past few days but sit in her room or shuffle to the kitchen and eat dry cereal.”

 

Man, they are meant to be. “That’s uncanny.  Exact same with him.”

 

“Well he should be upset!”  I stare at her.  She’s getting really upset and for someone who wanted to quit her job only a week ago because her “client” was so annoying, she really had grown attached to Mere fast to care this much.  I have to wonder if she really cares that much about Meredith, or if maybe, maybe this is bringing up bad memories for her. I open my mouth to ask.  Clearly, this girl needs someone to talk to.

 

“Are we ready?”  I clear my throat and look up at Courtney.  I see that she’s ready to make some smart and uncalled for comment to the waitress, so I pick up both our menus and hand them to the girl.  I was able to memorize the fucking thing while I was waiting for her to come. 

 

I laugh.  “She’s not even looked at the menu yet, so I’m going to order for us.”  Courtney’s mouth drops and I ignore her.  “I’m gonna have the tenderloin, medium rare, and she’ll have the balsamic chicken.  I’ll stick with water and she’ll have a glass of the best Crianza you have.”

 

She smiles at me, nods and walks away.  I don’t say anything and just sit there and sip on my water as Courtney stares me down.  She’s funny actually, a funny girl who gets worked up over the silliest of things.  It’s charming oddly enough.

 

“First of all…”  She says slowly, counting on her fingers.  Oh, this oughta be good.  “I’m pissed you just ordered for me.  Second of all, you are very presumptuous. How do you know I eat meat?”

 

“I don’t.  But if you don’t you should really think about starting.”

 

She just glares.  “Thirdly, how do you know I drink wine?”

 

“Wild guess,” I shrug.

 

“And fourthly, how is mister Jack Daniels and Coors only drinking water, and how do you know about wine…”

 

I suck in a breath and shake my head while stifling the urge to laugh at her.  “A lot of questions there, Court…”

 

“Just answer.” Her eyes narrow slightly.  They’re brown and deep and she looks really good with that eye make up on.  Why won’t she dress up like this all the time? She’s not ugly in those khakis pants and pony tail, she’s just not this fine.  Ok dammit!  I admit it.  She’s fucking hot as shit tonight.   And, and she’s not supposed to be. And it’s kind of frustrating me and pissing me off.  Why did she get dressed up? I mean, I know she doesn’t like me.  Maybe a little, but in that way that you start to like someone you hate.  That really childish way. 

 

I take in a breath.  This is anoying me.  “Well, I’m sorry you’re pissed and the meat thing, well, if you really are a vegetarian I’ll flag down the lady and order you a stick of celery or something.  The wine thing, I don’t know.  Most girls like wine.  I hate it.  Ok, I don’t hate it, I’ll drink it if it’s the only thing around and I wanna get drunk, but I’d rather have Jack or a beer any day.  Justin’s mom and dad love wine so I have to order a lot for him for gifts and things.  Her favorite is Rioja and I know Crianza is a term for how Rioja is aged or something.  I was just trying to fucking sound smart, ok?”

 

Her lips turn up in a smile and she purses them a little and leans back.  “Why are you so frustrated?”

 

I can’t help it.  I fucking pout. “’Cause you’re making me look stupid!”

 

The girl comes out with her glass of wine and Courtney sips on in and makes a little moaning noise. 

 

Fuckin’…

 

I look away and take a breath.  This isn’t good.  What the hell was I thinking asking her out like this?  Trouble I tell you.  This girl is fucking trouble. 

 

“And why aren’t you drinking?  I’m sure they have beer.”

 

“I promised Justin I’d get drunk with him tonight and well, I just, just shut up!”

 

She giggles and sips on her wine some more.  “God, you’re testy.”

 

“Just stop smiling at me!”

 

“Why?”  I glare at her.  She knows what she’s doing.  They all do.  Fucking women.  She leans forward and uses her arms to push her boobs together.  I glare at her.  We’re adults.  If she wants me she should just say so.  Teasing is childish and, and I don’t like it.  And she should fucking stop.  “So…”  She runs her finger over the rim of her glass and then sucks the tip of her finger a bit. 

 

I’m usually a really cool and calm guy.  Girls tease and I can dish it right back.  Even if I know their full of shit like this one, I can just dish it back or call them on it and its cool.  But this girl…this woman has done something and I don’t like it.  She’s made me jittery.  So jittery that I don’t notice that my leg is bobbing up and down until I notice the table shaking a bit because my foot is on the leg of the table.  Fucking ridiculous.  I should have taken her to bloody Ruby Tuesday’s or some common shit like that.  Someplace she wouldn’t be all voodoo spell on me. “Since I’ve put you in such a foul mood, why don’t we take the subject away from us and onto business?  My client is depressed as all hell and if you and your client have some miraculous way to make her happy and make up for the horrible things your client did then I’d like to hear it.”

 

I suck in a breath.  So maybe she’s not a complete voodoo witch. “Just let him talk to her.  I promise you that’s all he’ll need and she’ll be happy again and so will he.”

 

“You make her seem easy, like the fact he called her a bitch and told her she was stupid and made her feel horrible can just be washed away if he comes and sees her.”

 

“You really don’t know her that well, do you?”

 

She leans forward again.  I don’t look this time, so I won’t get caught looking at her fantastic...tits.  I watch this old man eating dinner with his daughter.  At least I hope it’s his daughter.  I continue to look away as she says, “Well then tell me about her.  God, you might have known her longer than I have, but I think I’ve spent more time with her than you.  And I’m a woman, I know how I would feel if I were her.”

 

I turn back to her and say rather bluntly, “Meredith is in love with Justin.”  It’s the truth, or if it hasn’t happened yet, it will.  I tell you, when that girl walked in that studio and her and Justin met, well there was something there, on both parts.  And as the day wore on I knew that look that they were giving each other.  It was a look I use to see a lot when Elisha and I first started getting serious.  Meredith fell fast and I know Justin did too, though he’s been through enough emotional shit in his life that he’s become really good at purposefully ignoring or acknowledging any feelings. 

 

“How the hell would you know that?  It’s a crush, Trace.  She acted on it and he acted back and then he fucked up.”

 

“You think I’m clueless when it comes to relationships, don’t you?”

 

She rolls her eyes at me again.  I want to tell her to stop.  I want to tell her she’s prettier when she doesn’t do it.  But then she’d probably smack me.  “You’re a player, Trace.  You proved that to me when we went out.”

 

“Right…”  I love how she puts roles on everyone and assumes she knows someone on a first impulse.  If she wants to know the truth, the player thing that she’s assuming is from the way I acted at the club and the only reason I acted that way was to make her jealous.  When I saw it didn’t work and instead made her laugh, I figured it was better to make her laugh than to make her yell and bitch at me.  So I kept it up.  Yeah, so I’ve partied with girls.  I’ve had fucking one night stands.  But I’m not a player.  Far from it. 

 

I shake my head and sarcastically say, “That’s me, the player.”

 

“What?”

 

I sigh and lean forward.  I’m tried of talking about ourselves.  I just want to get over this dinner and get back home and get drunk as hell with Justin and listen to him moan about Meredith while I pass out.  Why can’t I do that?  Why do I have to be here with her, looking at me like that?  “Look, they at least need to talk.  You’re right she’ll probably kick him in the balls and tell him to go fuck off and then she’ll be happy and he’ll get what he deserves.  But at least give her the opportunity to do that.”

 

“If he shows up with flowers or chocolates or anything pathetically cliché like then I’m gonna punch him myself.  And don’t think he can just come in with a gift and woo her back.  She’s not like that.  She likes to shop but she’s not materialistic.  A diamond necklace or a car isn’t gonna get her back.”

 

“Please Courtney, they’ve only been dating a week.”

 

She fake laughs and leans back to stare at me.  “So she’s not worth a car?”

 

I really hate women sometimes.  Only they would turn something around like that.

 

“You’re ridiculous.  So you might know more about Meredith than I thought, but you know nothing about Justin or about how he acts and reacts.  He won’t admit to himself, or you, or me or anyone but he’s gone for that girl, off the deep end Court.  And if he fixes this, him and Meredith are gonna be a couple for a while unless one of them does something stupid.”

 

“Like call the other one a bitch while being high and doing coke.”

 

“He wasn’t doing coke.”

 

“How would you know?”

 

“’Cause Justin and I are best friends Courtney!  There’s nothing for each other to be ashamed of.  We tell each other everything.  As gay as that sounds, it’s the truth.  He was high and Justin, if he’s not careful, can get very irrational when he’s high.”

 

“Then maybe he shouldn’t be getting high.”

 

I laugh.  I start wondering if she’s ever been high.  I wonder if she’d ever try it.  Hmm… “You need to relax, you’re one of those D.A.R.E. people, aren’t you?”

 

“I’m not a goody goody and I’m not naïve about that stuff, but if him getting high makes him act like that then maybe he should seriously rethink doing it.”

 

“It’s not always like that.”

 

“I don’t care, Trace.  He ruined Meredith’s little vacation. And hell, mine too.  I don’t have anyone to go lay out with now, or go shop with, and she’s needed me to be a shoulder the past two days and that’s fine.   I feel bad for her, but damn...it sucks ass when I’m in Miami and we’re having great weather and I have to be around a moping pop star 24/7.”

 

I bite my lip and watch her run a hand through her hair and drink some more wine.  “I’ll hang out with you,” I offer. 

 

She stares at me and then shakes her head, smiling.  “No thanks.”

 

I look down at the table and then back at her.  She let me down easy but it still kind of hurt.  So what if we fight all the time.  At least its company.  At least she wouldn’t have to be alone.  “What’s so bad about me?”

 

She keeps staring and then her face softens and she slouches a bit.  “Aww, Trace…”  She starts to lean forward to grab my hand or something and do that fake thing you see on TV.  You know, the whole “aww I like you too, but just as a friend” thing.  Fucking gag me bitch! I wasn’t talking about that.

 

“Don’t even start that bull shit.  I don’t like you or have a crush on you or whatever you assume.”  I glare at her.  She’s starting to piss me off now.  “I just, I’m trying to get to know you.  That’s it.  When you don’t have this attitude you’re kind of cool, but ya know what?  I retract my offer, you’re right, we shouldn’t hang out.  I wouldn’t have fun with you anyway.”

 

Ok, maybe I went a little over the top with the attitude on that one cause now she’s sitting back in her seat looking away from me.  For most of the night she’s looked me dead on.  Now she’s eyeing her fork and biting her lip. “Look, I’m sorry.  I’m…”

 

“What?”

 

She sighs, looks up at me for a moment and then back down at the fork.  “I’m really cautious with guys, ok?  Friends, more than friends, co workers, acquaintances, anything.  So, sorry if I come off bitchy to you.”

 

“I’m pretty cautious with women myself.  In fact this is the first date type thing that I’ve been on in half a year.  And before you say anything I’m very aware this isn’t a date.”

 

“Really?”

 

“But I’m a player, right?  I’m too cocky to wine and dine.  Right?  I just like to fuck.”

 

“I didn’t say that.”

 

“Yes you did.” Now I roll my eyes and I sit back, tired of this conversation, of this company, ready to drown that bottle of Jack when I get home.  Ya know, maybe Meredith won’t take him back.  Justin will be miserable for a while, but he’ll get over it and I’ll never have to deal with this woman again.  I cross my arms and let out a deep sigh. That would never happen.

 

“Maybe I should go.” I glance at her and she’s just staring at me.  She looks shocked and maybe there’s a little confusion and hurt in there, too.  I don’t know why.  Girl is confusing the hell out of me.  I thought she knew was the hell was going on.  I don’t say anything, and the next thing I know she’s grabbing her purse off her chair.  The horrible sound of chair legs scraping against hard wood floor echoes in my ears and she’s standing up looking down at me.

 

“Sit down.”

 

“Excuse me.” She glares for a moment and I just look at her.  I can’t say anything but I look at her and plead with her to sit down and talk to me.  This is insane how we’re acting and I think I’m staring to realize why. 

 

“Please…”  I say.

 

She plops down again and huffs.  “What?”

 

“I don’t mean to be an ass.  I don’t mean to make you this upset or frustrated or whatever it is that I do that makes you this way.  So, sorry for that.  But I’m not gonna sit here and act like our fights are just my fault.”

 

“Ok.”  She nods and puts her purse back up and scoots her chair in a bit.  Her elbows rest on the table and she holds up her head with her palm.  “So what do we do?”

 

“Admit that there is tension between us and try to move on from it.”

 

Her eyebrows bunch.  “Tension?”

 

I lick my lips as she takes a rather hearty drink from her glass.  I’m clearly feeling the tension on my part and her seductive moves with the boob pushing and the wine glass molesting and the dress and all the fighting makes me thing that she’s feeling it, too.  So I lean in and whisper, “Sexual.”

 

She chokes a little against the wine glass and pulls it down and wipes at her mouth a bit with her fingers and then her napkin.  She coughs again and stares wide eyed at me.

 

Never thought I could shock this girl.  Kind of makes me smile.  Too bad it means I was wrong about what kind of tension there was. Or either, she was shocked to hear it ‘cause she knew it was true.  Oh shit, that’s what happened.

 

“Are you serious?”

 

I play it off as smooth as possible.  “Of course not.  I think we’re too alike in some ways and polar opposites in others and it’s just the wrong combination.  But I’m willing to sit here and have a nice dinner with you if you are willing to try and not argue about every little thing I do or say.”

 

“Ok.”

 

“Now first, do you think it’d be ok if Justin came over sometime tomorrow?”

 

She sighs, thinks for a moment and then nods.  “But if he makes her cry or if she yells at him to get out and he doesn’t, I will have Teddy kick him out.”

 

“I’ll pull him out of there myself if I have to.”

 

“Ok, well that’s settled.”

 

As if on cue, to keep us from staring at each other awkwardly and having to think up conversation that won’t make us fight, the food comes out.  The waitress puts both our plates down and I start think how starved I really am.  “Thank you.  It looks great,” I say to her.

 

“More wine, ma’am?”

 

I smile at Courtney who looks at me for approval.  Wow, that’s a chance of pace.  I laugh a little and say, “Just bring the bottle for her.”

 

The waitress laughs and Courtney leans forward and giggles a little when the girl leaves. “I’m not getting drunk and going home with you to have sex.”

 

I laugh back at her.  “I don’t want you to.  Just enjoy yourself.  I have to go home and mope with Justin tonight anyway.  Plus,” I look down at my steak and cut into it so I don’t have to look at her directly.  “I don’t wanna have sex with you.”

 

“Good,” I glance up and she’s looking at her food, too. “’Cause I don’t wanna have sex with you either.”

 

She glances up at me and I smile at her a little.

 

She fucking blushes and then looks back down at her food. 

 

So I was lying about the not wanting to have sex thing.  Yeah, pretty damn obvious that I would love to have sex with this woman.  I bet she’s fucking fantastic in bed.  I bet she’s the type that’d give me a blow job on a copier.  Just like my fantasy. And as I cut into my steak and bite down on it, perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned, I know it was ok that I lied to her.  Maybe I should have been up front and told her bluntly how I was starting to feel about her.  I mean I don’t want commitment.  I don’t want plans and motives.  I’m over relationships.  I just need a distraction.

 

And Courtney, she’d be a great distraction as long as we could keep our fights to a minimum.  They give me a rush at times, but others times they give me a migraine.  But I’ll take the rush with the fights.

 

And I’ll definitely take the rush with knowing that no matter what she just said to me, she was lying, too.
Chapter 9 by Mere

218 SandPiper Drive, 4:03

 

I like Paula Deen a lot. Her voice and her attitude remind me of my grandma that died last year. She was the best cook and so sweet and genuine and positive. Everyone says I got my voice from her. Whenever I get in a bad mood I turn on food network hoping Paula Dean’s show is on or that it’s that Alton man that’s so nerdy and quirky. But right now she’s making me miss my grandma and my momma.

 

I miss my momma a lot.

 

We’ve never had one of those perfect mother/ daughter relationships where she knew all my secrets and we were more like sisters or something. No, she’s just my momma and we fight and we get along but we aren’t super close. But if I was home right now, if I was back in Georgia, which I wish I was, if I was home she’d lay with me in bed, and make me a pecan pie or her homemade cookies and watch You’ve Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle with me and just lay and be quiet.

 

She wouldn’t ask me too many questions and she wouldn’t have to. She would know a boy hurt my feelings and she would make it better.

 

But momma’s not here right now. And daddy’s not here to make some stupid joke and ask me to watch the game with him, whichever game was on. It could be bowling, it never mattered. If it’s on ESPN, he’ll watch it. And Beebee… I frown and sink further into the covers and hold my pillow, wishing it was my doggie. Maybe I should get one to keep with me, but I hate little dogs and I wouldn’t be able to keep a big dog on the road.

 

Plus, I don’t want Bee to think I’m replacing her. She’d lay right here if I were home and let me hold her. She doesn’t let anyone else hold her. And she’d sigh and just look at me. And I’d rub in between her eyes and I wouldn’t be lonely.

 

I think I wanna go home and forget all this. I mean, maybe I should just forget being a singer. There’s too much drama, too much hurt. I don’t know what I’m talking about. I’d never, ever give it up. I just want to be home right now and I don’t want to have to deal with questions about us. I don’t want to have to do that stupid call-in radio interview tonight and I don’t even want to hear his name again, not even for questions about the tracks we did together. Hell, I’ll take it off the album if I have to. And what’s worse is that Sony wants that to be the next single.

 

This morning I asked Teddy to go get me a magazine from the store ‘cause I thought I might go lay out. But then I thought there was no reason for me to get a tan since no one really cares, so I just sat here and read it. Of course he got “The Sun” thinking he was being funny. And he was, most of the articles were hilarious. And then there was one about Justin and me and that club. Reports were we were all but having sex in the VIP area. Witnesses say that I went under the table for an extended period of time and that Justin was seen making weird faces. Then we were spotted walking into the Ritz together and someone claims we made noises so loud that neighbors complained.

 

It’s amazing what lies they will print. The Ritz probably has walls as thick as a bank safe. No one would hear if anything had happened.

 

I really shouldn’t have listened to Coldplay last night. Whenever I can’t fall asleep I put on Parachutes and I normally knock out. Instead, I stayed up most of the night crying. I hate to admit it. I hate being so girly. It’s not even like we were together that long. Fucking high school is what it all is. A week relationship after a couple of months crush and I fucking bawl my eyes out.

 

Over a stupid boy. ‘Cause that’s what he is. He’s a stupid boy and any thought I had of him being a man or being mature, especially more so than me, well that was shot out of the window. Or maybe, maybe he just didn’t like me that much to begin with. Maybe in New York he just didn’t want to hurt my feelings. Or maybe he’s really just a sex pig and just wanted to do me and when I told him he had to wait he got mad and thought about it over the past week and broke up with me all harsh so I would hate him and he wouldn’t have to worry about it.

 

And that’s where I get stuck. The Justin I knew. The Justin from New York and from LA, that Justin would care. Hell, that Justin did care. In fact our last day in the studio together he told me to take care, told me to keep in touch, told me he would see me around and told me if I needed him he’d always be there. I assumed he was just being nice and did my best to get over him. I was busy as hell, locked in the studio for some time, trying to get the album finished. I didn’t have time to think about Justin Timberlake and my little crush.

 

But I did. I thought about him a lot more than I should. I held it in, didn’t tell Angie, didn’t tell Megan until she forced it out of me one night over Margaritas. When he called up in New York, I was shocked, so much so that the excitement of it didn’t really hit me. I think I was so tired I didn’t really realize what was happening. But when I saw him, when I saw him laying there on the couch and when he smiled at me under that hat, I knew I had it bad. He didn’t even say hey, just moved his legs so I could lay down on the couch with him. And that night, when I snuck to see him…

 

I snuggle into the covers a little and readjust my glasses. I’ve been wearing them nonstop the past two days, I’m not use to that. I’ve been living in my contacts with all the promotion I’ve been doing. That night, he kissed me all slow and he didn’t push me and he could have. I would have been happy to do more than just kiss him that night. The next night was different, I was drunk and not in control. But that night, that night he just kissed me and pulled back the covers and took my glasses off for me, setting them so carefully down on the nightstand. And he turned off the light and held me and kissed me some more and we talked a little. We talked about the songs we worked on together, talked about our schedules. And at some point I fell asleep and I slept so hard next to him.

 

But he had to ruin it all. He had to ruin the slow kisses and the elevator ride and his hands on me in the club. He had to ruin any chance of getting anything more out of me. And I don’t know why. I don’t know why he acted like that. I’ve never seen that in my life. I mean, I’ve been around people doing weed before and it doesn’t bother me. But the other stuff did. I guess I am naïve and stupid like he said. But despite what people write about me and what all the rumors contradict, I’m a good girl and was raised well. I might like to have a good time and might have a hard time controlling myself when I’m drunk, but I’m a good girl. I went to high school at a good, small school in eastern Georgia. Sure there were drugs and stuff but everyone I hung out with would just drink or smoke. We were good kids.

 

In college I spent most of my time with my boyfriend and with Megan and we just sat around and were goof balls most of the time. And so what if I’ve been in the “business” for a few years. I don’t have a lot of Hollywood-type friends. Most everyone I knew I knew before I had my first record.

 

And even if I was use to people doing drugs I think I had a right to freak out by what his friends were saying to him about those girls. I was expecting to come down and see him hunched over and tired and was expecting a bright smile and a huge hug when he saw me. Instead I got fucking bloodshot eyes, horrible breath and just a stare. Just a shocked, cold stare.

 

I got some slut with no bra and fake breast and fake ugly hair touching him and looking lusty at him.

 

I guess the only positive thing about the situation is seeing that Courtney really does care about me. She’s been here for me more than I could ask. I mean, I haven’t sobbed to her or anything, I know that would probably annoy her. Plus I have Megan for that kind of thing. But it was still nice to have her here. As soon as I came back from the studio she let me yell and scream and just sat there and listened. She listened to me lose it for an hour, then sat me down and made me some tea. She told me to take a shower. I thought she was crazy but it actually helped. It actually made me feel a little better, calmed me down.

 

And last night when I couldn’t sleep, after I had listened to Coldplay, I came out of my room about 1 in the morning to find her on her laptop. She said she was just going to bed, but stayed up and watched a MagicBullet blender infomercial with me. I woke up this morning still on the couch, but a blanket was over me.

 

About an hour ago I fought off the urge to call Trace. I knew he’d just give the phone to Justin and then I’d be stuck. Part of me wants to talk to him. Part of me wants to know that whatever happened was some chemical imbalance in his mind or he had an evil twin or something. Part of me wants to hear him explain. But the other part, the other part of me keeps yelling at me, saying that no man should call you bitchy, especially when there’s no reason for it. No man should make you feel bad, no man should hurt your feelings that way.

 

And he did. He hurt me so bad.

 

Maybe I just want to know why.

 

I laugh at myself. I really am pathetic. I want him to call, I really do want him to. I want to hear him apologize, I want to hear his explanation. And I want to take him back, though I know I shouldn’t. But maybe he doesn’t want to apologize, maybe he doesn’t care.

 

Courtney said last night that Trace and her didn’t really talk about what Justin did when they went out to eat. She said, Trace said, that Justin hadn’t really mentioned it.

 

So, I don’t know. He probably doesn’t give a shit about me. I guess I’m just getting my hopes up, I guess he’s right. I’m just a stupid, naïve little girl. A little girl who was ready to go for it and give it her all and make it work. I was ready to make this deep with him, to not just date him but to be in a relationship with him, to…fuck it, I’ll say it, to fucking fall in love with him.

 

I was ready for that. I guess this is what I get for getting my hopes up.

 

Paula is making these little chocolate bread muffins and it’s making me hungry. I barely ate the day everything happened, I was anxious and nervous and upset and my stomach paid the price. Yesterday I just ate cereal and some ice cream and today I had a frozen pizza for lunch, but I only ate a slice of it and gave the rest to Teddy. The Cheerios box is still on the nightstand and I reach over to grab it.

 

I hear the doorbell ring. It seems to echo in the house. I know Courtney’s here. She said she was gonna go sit on the deck, though. Teddy, hell I don’t know where he is. I hope it’s no one bad. I’ll just not answer it. It’s a private, gated community so it’s not some psycho murderer. At least I hope not.

 

I think I’ll just lay here and they’ll go away.

 

It rings again and I freak out a little. I turn the volume all the way down and listen really hard. Just the air condition. At first I think maybe I can just peek out the window but then I remember that there’s a roof over the front porch so I can’t see down to the door from the second floor. I figure I should probably get out of bed and go run and get Courtney. But before I can even get the covers off I hear Courtney’s voice. It’s muffled and I can’t make out any words. I hear footsteps in the foyer and strain to hear. It’s silent. I hear the front door shut and think maybe someone had the wrong house or something.

 

Then there’s a knock at my door.

 

I just stare at the door and sink down into the covers. I start to get a feeling and I realize what’s going on. I think I know who’s on the other side of that door.

 

“Mere?”

 

I close my eyes and say “shit” to the ceiling.

 

I might want to take him back, but I don’t know if I’m ready. Shit, I don’t know if I’m ready.

 

The door cracks open and I open my eyes and look at the door. I don’t say anything, I don’t know if I could say anything to him if I wanted to. What do you say in a situation like this? He must not know what to say either. He’s just in the doorway, looking back at me.

 

He’s wearing pretty much that same thing that he wore the night I snuck out to see him in New York, gym shorts and a white t-shirt. He hasn’t shaved. He looks pitiful. And I shouldn’t think it, and I shouldn’t care, but to me, to see that look on his face, that look that tells me in that moment he’s more sorry than I know, that makes me melt. How can he still make me melt? He breaks his stare and steps in the room. He shuts the door behind him and doesn’t say a thing but walks right over to my bed. I can’t move. I just watch him kick off his shoes and then reach to pull the covers off that side off the bed.

 

He can’t get in. He can’t do that to me. He can’t just expect to come in here and get in bed and hold me and say he’s sorry and it all be ok. I curl up on my side, facing away from him. I scoot to the edge of the bed in an attempt to tell him without speaking that I don’t want anything to do with him.

 

But I do, I do want everything that is him.

 

I feel the bed shift, I feel arms come up around my torso and feel him pull me back against him. He holds me so tight with my back against his front, both of us on our sides. He kisses my shoulder and buries his forehead in the crook of my neck. I gulp and look at the wall. He makes it so hard. And yet so easy.

 

“I don’t know what I can say or do, but I’ll do it if it means you’ll forgive me.”

 

I suck in a breath and let him hold me for a moment before turning to face him. He remains on his side and pulls away from me a bit. I lie on my back and look at him. “You hurt me.” He closes his eyes and bites his lip. “You hurt me so bad, Justin.”

 

“I know. I didn’t realize it at the time ‘cause I was…”

 

“You were high.” I finish for him and look away.

 

“It’s not an excuse.”

 

“No, it’s not.”

 

He stares at me and it makes me feel uncomfortable. If we weren’t in this situation I wouldn’t mind it ,but something about the way he’s looking is so expectant, like he’s just waiting for me to forgive him. I don’t know if I can do it that easily. It’s quiet for a while because I don’t know what to say to him and I can tell he’s trying his best to figure what to say to me.

 

“Do you want me to try and explain?” He finally asks.

 

I pull away and curl up on my side again. For some reason a surge of anger hits me. I’m not an angry person. In fact, the whole thing with Leah hurt me more than it angered me. I try not to be bitter or hold grudges, but what he did to me did anger me. Yeah, I’ve been moping around and sad the past few days, but when it first happened I was enraged and now, now a little surge of that comes back and I don’t know why. I want to take him back and that’s probably why. Laying here with him, feeling his body against mine and seeing in his eyes that he really is sorry, that he really knows he fucked up, well that makes me want him. That makes me want to forget anything happened and just lay here with him and kiss him. And that makes me so angry with myself.

 

I can’t be that easy, right? I can’t just forgive him in a snap. Right?

 

I suck in a breath. “What’s to explain, Justin? You, you changed.”

 

“I was scared, Meredith.” He comes close to me again. I hear him sigh. His hand touches my shoulder and starts to rub my arm. He’s making this so hard. He makes this so, so damn difficult to stay mad. “I was scared from the moment I decided to date you ‘cause I knew this would be big. I knew we would be big. I knew this was special and I knew that it was gonna get blown up by everyone else. I wanted to keep it as simple for as long as possible. So I didn’t tell any of the guys that and they wanted me to hook up with one of the girls they brought. I can’t say in a different situation I wouldn’t have taken them up on that. If I were single then I might have. But I’m not single. I’m with you.” He pauses and then I feel him pull me so I’m on my back. He stares at me. “I’m with you, girl.”

 

“Are you embarrassed of me?” My voice is a whisper, I don’t know why. I knew after everything came out in the papers with me and Megan it would be very hard for me to date. I knew most the people I met would either turn up their nose or be with me for the wrong reason. I was terrified of being alone. I’m fine with being single now, but the idea of never settling down, that…that terrifies me. That’s why when I met Justin and he ignored all the other shit and just wanted to know me for who I really am, that…that meant so much. But it still doesn’t change the fact that people are going to think, “ooo, he’s dating the half lesbian party girl who’s quoted to saying ‘my favorite thing is giving head.” I never even said that, and if I did it was meant as a fucking joke. “Is that why you didn’t tell them?”

 

“Meredith, I don’t care what people think. I don’t care what people say. I’ve dealt with that shit for way too many years. But you haven’t. You’re still trying to cope with what Leah did to you and another big press story isn’t gonna make it any easier.”

 

I shouldn’t have thought of that. I shouldn’t have even brought her up. Fuck, why is he right? Why am I still coping with this? She was just a money hungry bitch who said some lies and took things out of context for a moment in the spotlight. But maybe I can’t handle it. Maybe I’m not mature enough to handle it. I start to cry a little and look away, hoping he won’t notice. “’Cause I’m stupid and naïve, right?”

 

“No, you just haven’t had time to deal with this stuff.”

 

I wipe at my face hoping I don’t cry for long. My eyes are exhausted, and this morning when I woke up I noticed I had cried so hard a few blood vessels had broken on the skin around my eyes. “This still doesn’t explain yesterday. I…I can forgive you for those girls, though I don’t like it. I don’t think you’d like it if Megan or someone just brought around some hot men and pushed them on me.”

 

“I wouldn’t like it.”

 

I don’t know why, but suddenly I have the urge to face him to get all this over with so we can see where we stand. I turn around, laying on my side and stare at him. “And I’m fucking sorry I flipped out about the drugs, I just…”

 

He shakes his head and reaches to touch my hair, but pulls back right after he’s done it. “I know Mere, I know you’re not use to it. And honestly, I shouldn’t be around it.”

 

I don’t know why I do it, but I find myself clutching the front of his t-shirt and curling into him. His legs rub against mine and I reach my feet down to feel his. I don’t have a foot fetish. In fact, other people’s feet kind of disgust me, but his feet are kind of cute and they feel good when I rub mine against his. I sigh against him. He makes me feel safe and when he puts his arms around me and sighs I find myself shaking a bit. It’s only been a few days since we weren’t together but it’s been more than a week since he held me in the elevator and the rest of the world stopped and he proved right then that he really did care. And I guess that’s why I was so confused at the studio. That last image of him and the phone calls we’ve had of him just being stupid or trying to turn me on over the phone, that was the Justin I loved, and he just threw in this new Justin that didn’t give a shit and only cared about himself. And that scared me. “I don’t care if you get high every now and then, but that other shit…I don’t wanna date a drug addict, Justin.”

 

“I don’t use it. I promise.” I believe him and even though I probably shouldn’t, I know deep down that Justin is a good guy. Plus, he knows what that stuff can do to a career and would never let it take over. It’s what I respect about him. His career is his passion and he’d never jeopardize that. We lay there and I find it peaceful to listen to his heartbeat with my forehead against his chest. In New York his heartbeat was slow, easy, soothing almost. This heartbeat is faster now and I glance up at him and see him staring off into space and licking his lips. He’s nervous. He notices me staring at him and tries to smile. “This is a nice house.”

 

It really is a nice house and I got the master suite for the both of us. It’s what sold me when Courtney was showing me online pictures of places to stay. It’s nice, huge, a sleigh bed out of mahogany. There’s marble tub that over looks the beach and is more than big enough for two. And there’s a balcony that you can go out on with a table and lounge chairs. The downstairs is very homey and cozy, not too modern, but not like 70s-tastic grandma furniture. There’s a pool and a hot tub and it’s right on a private beach. There’s hammocks and porch swings and I got the fridge stocked with stuff I knew he liked, or hoped he liked. I had plans for us to fly out to the Keys for a day and go snorkeling. I wanted to be romantic. I told Courtney to tell whoever she needed to stock the place with candles and flowers. I even asked for champagne. There were even nice silk sheets for the bed, but took them off for just regular cotton ones when he did what he did.

 

I wanted it to be romantic. I…I even went to this lingerie boutique when we were in LA. I thought maybe, maybe I’d surprise him and give him what he wanted so badly in New York. I figured after a few days with just him I’d want to, and I’d be ready. My moral of waiting at least a month, or at least into love was in range was thrown out. I wanted it to be special and, and for me love was in range. He stares at me, his eyes watery and deep blue. It still is in range and I wanna grab it. “I rented it for you. I had so much planned for us.”

 

He sucks in a breath and pulls away from me. I just watch as he lies on his back and covers his face with his hands. “I’m an idiot, girl. I don’t even know what to say.” He pulls his hands off and stares at the ceiling, shaking his head. “I didn’t know what to do, all I knew was that you were gone and I had fucked up. Courtney and Trace talked it over last night and decided I should come and try to make things right. I was happy when Trace told me I had a chance but I was terrified ‘cause I didn’t know how I could make up for what I did. And I’m so glad you gave me the chance to talk to you.”

 

“She lied. She said they didn’t talk about it. She said that Trace was talking about how you hadn’t really talked about what happened.”

 

He laughs, just quietly for a second and turns back over to his side and shakes his head. “I don’t know why she would say that. I haven’t shut up about it. Call him and ask him, Meredith. I haven’t stopped talking about it. I couldn’t sleep last night cause Trace came home and told me I could come by today around 4. I don’t know why they scheduled us a time but they did.”

 

“I couldn’t sleep last night, either.” He stares at me again and this time I don’t feel awkward and I don’t want him to stop.

 

“Meredith…” I look in his eyes and I involuntarily sigh when his hand cups my face. He comes closer and whispers to me, brushing under my eye, across my cheek with his thumb. “I’m not going to beg you to forgive me or give me another chance. If you want me to I will, I’ll get on me knees and I’ll pitch a fit. Just know that I won’t fuck up again. I’ll try so hard, I’ll try so damn hard for you.” He sucks in a breath and I’m amazed to see him cry. It’s just one tear and he quickly brushes it away, but it makes me think. Maybe, maybe he does really care about me. Maybe he cares as much as I do.

 

Maybe it’s not so bad that I’m giving into him so easily.

 

“I want it to work, Justin. I want to be able to trust you. And I’ll forgive you and give you another chance, but I’m scared. Right now, I can’t handle a broken heart. I can’t be in the middle of promoting my album or on tour and have you treat me like that. I can accept fights. I can accept that it might not last, but I can’t accept you acting like that. That’s not who I know. That’s not the Justin I…” I take in a breath and I gulp and I just put it out there. If he gets scared and runs away then, fine. That’s his loss. But I need to be honest and I need him to know how much this means to me. “That’s not the Justin that I fell for.”

 

He doesn’t miss a beat and I’m surprised to see relief in his face. “Then let me show you him. Let me spend some time with you here. Let’s go back to LA and really start this. Let me even take you and show you off to Tennessee, girl.” I smile at him and he smiles back. But then it fades and he stares harder at me than, than I think I’ve ever been stared at. His forehead hits mine and he reaches to grab my hand. His eyes move down from my eyes and he sucks in a breath before looking back directly at me. “Let me fall in love with you Meredith.”

 

I lick my lips and feel myself pulling away a bit. He can’t just say perfect things like that. It’ll...it’ll mess me up. “Don’t just say that.”

 

“I’m serious. This…this isn’t a joke to me. This isn’t just for fun. I might not have wanted to realize it at first. I might have played it off that I just had the hots for you and just wanted to get in your pants, but…but this is different.” He shakes his head and wipes his eyes again. “I’ve been a mess without you, without the thought of you or the possibility of you.”

 

I think about what he says and agree with him. It’s what’s made me so upset, the possibility of it being really over. But it was the possibility that kept me going the past few months, that made New York and Courtney’s bad mood bearable. “It kept me going during recording and promotion,” I say to myself.

 

“What did?”

 

I look up and meet his eyes. “The possibility of you.” He slowly starts to smile and I roll my eyes and laugh at myself thinking that was clearly a ridiculous thing to say. “Was that cheesy?”

 

He shakes his head and scoots closer, so all his body is against mine. “If it was I wouldn’t know, ‘cause…” He sighs one of those sighs where you can just see the weight lift off someone. He holds my face and runs his fingers over my lips. In that movement I give into him, I give completely into him. “You’re smiling at me and that’s all that matters.” He kisses me, softly, testing to make sure its ok. It’s ok. It’s more than ok. I probably shouldn’t have let him in and I probably should have kicked him out as soon as he tried to get into the bed. But I didn’t. I didn’t because I wanted to believe that he really was sorry and that he really wouldn’t do it again and that…that whatever happened the other day, whatever it was that sparked that attitude was gone far away.

 

I believe it. And I might be a fool and I might be pathetic for doing so, but I don’t care. He deserves a second chance.

 

He pulls away and whispers against me. “You’re all that matters, Mere.” He studies my face and pulls me against him in a hug, kissing my neck and then leaning his head against my shoulder. “Thank you.” He says, his voice shaky.

 

“For…”

 

“Giving me a chance.”

 

“You know you had it to begin with.” I smile and hug him tightly. He moves so he’s lying on his back and I go with him, forced to lie on top of him.

 

I sit up a little bit as I lay on him, with my upper body held up by my forearms. He runs a hand up my arm and tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. “You’ve had me from the beginning. You had me since 2 o’clock on that Sunday afternoon when you walked into the studio. And you have me now, and I’m not going anywhere and I’ll be damned if I give you a reason to leave again.”

 

I scoot up against him and lean down. “I won’t leave if you won’t.”

 

He holds my face with both his hands, smiling as he brings it down closer to his own. “I won’t give up if you won’t.”

 

I laugh. “We’re so pathetic.”

 

“We’re artists,” He shrugs and shows me a lopsided grin. “We’re allowed to be dramatic.”

 

I kiss him briefly and pull back and whisper to him, “And we’re aloud to make up…” He just stares at me and I go for it. I kiss him, hard. I put everything I have into that kiss. I want to give him a reason to stay, give him a reason to try his best not to mess up. And he does a pretty good job of kissing me back and giving me a reason not to give up on him. I know I should be stronger than this. I know I should be angry and talk about how he disrespected me and tell all my friends and cuss him out. But I’m a sappy little girl, bent on the hope of love. I’ll do what I have to and if that means forgive someone, then that means I’ll do it.

 

And he’s worth it. He might have fucked up, but I know at some point I’m going to mess up and, well I hope he’ll give me a second chance also.

 

Having him kick off the covers and force me on my back makes me smile and he returns it, laughing slightly. And having him lie down against me as he kisses me furiously, that’s…that’s worth it. To be reminded of all those times I fantasized about him doing this to me while we were recording, and of the times he would listen to me talk and ramble for hours, for the time in New York and all the thoughts in between, it’s worth it. I might be naïve at times, but I know a good thing when I see it.

 

What Justin and I have, what we’re trying to have, it’s a very, very good thing. And it makes me so happy to know that this good thing is just beginning.
Chapter 10 by Mere

Off the coast of Key West, 2:15 p.m.

 

I’m thankful that the water is relatively calm today and that we’ve anchored close to shore, near this vacant little cove and not out in the open. I knew when Meredith dropped the bomb on me last night, at one in the morning, right before I was going to bed, right when I realized that during her radio interview Justin had been napping in her bed all night and now he was shuffling to the kitchen in just a pair of gym shorts, that it would be a really, really bad time to tell her I get seasick. She was so excited. She jumped down on the couch beside me beaming. I had found out much earlier in the day, by accidentally walking in on some major make out session they were having, that they had made up. In fact, I don’t think either of them realized I came in so I didn’t say anything and just left quietly. But she had remained pretty calm during her radio interview and as soon as it was over she ran back upstairs. When she came to me last night she was acting well, she was glowing. It was as if she got laid.

 

It was presumptuous for me to think so and even bolder for me to ask her, but I did. I had been put in charge of keeping her healthy and in line. The healthy part I didn’t think would be that big of a deal. Apparently about a year ago, after she had been on tour and been going non-stop for a little more than 280 days, she had had a minor collapse and had to be hospitalized for exhaustion. But she seems pretty good about maintaining her hydration and sleep now a days. As long as there isn’t a certain shaved head, blue-eyed boy wonder lurking about. And it was him barely dressed and her with a glow on her face that made me have to ask. I didn’t know if she was on birth control and assumed she wasn’t since I had never seen a patch on her skin or seen her take any pills. I know she’s an only child and more and more I’m starting to feel like a purchased big sister.

 

She blushed immediately when I asked and whispered, “not yet” to me and then giggled, jumped up and ran over to hug Justin from behind. “Justin’s got tomorrow free so we’re all gonna go snorkeling!”

 

To begin with, when I was helping her plan this trip, I knew it was something she wanted to do. I had even booked the small flight from Miami to Key West, looked up the best snorkeling guide I could find and rented a yacht. I never assumed she’d want me to go. I thought it would be some romantic fling with just her and Justin. And now that she was inviting me I knew trouble was peeking its head out. I knew snorkeling would mean boats and boats would mean rocking and rocking would mean seasick. But to see her there hugging him, blissfully happy as he chugged a glass of milk, made it impossible for me to be able to tell her no. I could have easily told her I didn’t want to go, but I knew that would cause a fuss. Lately, it’s seemed that she had latched onto me. Ever since we landed in LA she would say, “Courtney, help me with this. Can you do this?” And if I told her I really needed to be doing something else she would beg. And normally all the tasks she wanted me to do were for both of us, not just for me to go do by myself. It was almost as if now, now she really liked my company.

 

And that is a strange thing.

 

I figured if she was going to be nice and Justin kept her occupied and a certain man with a deep southern accent kept a decent distance away from me and my temper, I’d be fine and maybe even have fun. As long as I didn’t puke the whole way.

 

And I am glad I came. I’ve improved my tan, drastically and this new Candace Bushnell book is pretty good. Of course Trace has already commented on it being a chick book and asked me to let him know when I got to the hot sex scenes. He wants me to read them out loud. He’s such a perverted little man. Cute, charming when he wants to be, but absolutely ridiculous when it comes to some of the things he dares to say to me.

 

But right now nothing is talking to me except the sounds of the sea lapping against the yacht, a few gulls in the air, and the words of the book. All three of them went in the water, snorkeling with some guru we picked up. Layden, is his name, I think. The man looked a little too old and a little too high to really know what he was doing. Apparently he’s the best, though. And well, they’ve been gone for almost an hour. I hope they haven’t drowned. The yacht itself is insanely nice. Sometimes I forget, even though I was the one to book it and I signed the bill for Meredith, that I really do work in this business for celebrities. Before, sure I worked for an insanely rich man, but he wasn’t famous. He got perks but not the ones that someone gets when everyone else knows them. Adding Justin to the mix just makes those perks heighten. Like this morning, when we went to a local breakfast café after waking up at dawn to fly here. The service was impeccable and though there was a bill, I peeked over Trace’s shoulder and saw that it wasn’t nearly as high as it should have been for the type of food we were getting. And they brought us out a few things we didn’t order, just as a complimentary thing.

 

And this yacht. Not only is it huge and fit for a king, it’s stocked with supplies. There’s a nice living area inside with a plasma TV. There’s all sorts of beach supplies and tons of food, fresh fruit and cheeses and gourmet crackers. There’s all sorts of drinks, wine and champagne, beer and soda. I rolled my eyes at that, like anyone needs to be drinking that shit on a yacht, in the gulf, when its 85 degrees outside. Of course I already over heard Justin saying that if they didn’t get eaten by sharks they’d unpop a bottle.

 

Meredith proceeded to scream about sharks and they had a hard time getting her in the water. Justin threw her in and then Trace pushed him in. I laughed, it was funny. But Justin’s attitude towards me hasn’t been funny. It’s not really that he’s mean or rude, he just all together ignores me. He hasn’t said a word to me. He talks with Trace and Teddy and Tiny and hell, even the guy steering this boat, but not me. I mean I know I was a hard ass that past week, but I was nice enough to let him in the house yesterday.

 

That was really the only time I got a sense that he even saw me or cared that I was there. I opened the door and he was pitiful looking. He really has that pout down perfectly. I told him where her room was and then watched him take a breath, walk to the steps, look up at them and then quietly run up them. Trace scooted through the doorway with two large duffel bags on each shoulder and commented that Tiny would be arriving soon with the rest of their stuff.

 

I knew the plan was for Justin to stay over, but I didn’t know that meant the long haul. Trace was so convinced that Meredith would take him back before Justin had even come over that he checked out of their hotel and assumed they could all shack up with us.

 

Thankfully there are enough bedrooms. With Justin and Meredith sharing a bed and one of the rooms having twin beds and two other smaller bedrooms, one up stairs and one down, it’s been pretty decent. I have the bedroom downstairs and it has access directly to the back porch and I like that. But I can’t say I don’t feel a little awkward sharing a house with four other grown men and only one other female, a female who seems to bask in the masculine presence. She soaks up the attention and they are happy to give it to her.

 

Like today, when she took off her top and her shorts to reveal one of the smallest little white bikinis I’ve ever seen. I shook my head. White, she better hope there’s enough padding or that thing is gonna be see-through when she gets out of the water. When she revealed her bathing suit, everyone’s eyes were on her. Even the old hippie snorkeling guy and the boat driver. Trace and Tiny were staring at her and even Teddy, who’s always called her ‘lil sis. And there was Justin. I almost laughed at the poor guy. He looked about ready to pass out.

 

Meredith might play off the innocent, sweet, southern girl card, but she knew what she was doing when she picked that out to wear. And I guess I was looking, too. Of course I wasn’t fantasizing about her. I was comparing because that’s what us girls pathetically do to each other. It’s what’s kept me pulling down on the tank part of my suit all day and kept the sarong around my waist. I’ve never really been body conscious. I don’t eat crap and I run around enough to burn off any crap I do eat. But it’s still intimidating as hell to be on this yacht with one of the most sought out bachelors in the world with his best friend and two large bodyguards and have this girl be able to casually walk around with barely anything on, completely comfortable with herself and her surroundings. Her body is trained to be that fit and that good looking and it can make even a girl like me, a girl who’s never really cared about what other people think or at least has tried not to, be self conscious and closed off. It doesn’t help that she’s naturally pretty either. She’s the all-American girl, but with dark features so she looks a little exotic. That kind of shit guys just eat up. I find it a little annoying.

 

I know I should be more enthusiastic and talk more with them. But they’re all into this outdoorsy adventure stuff. I’m content with sitting here, smelling like banana boat and reading chick lit. By myself.

 

I hear a splash and pull my sunglasses down just a bit and sit up. I dog-ear the book and set it down. I look off to the side of the front of the boat where I’m laying and see someone in the water and then a head pops out and a squirt of water hits me in the face. “What the…”

 

I hear laughter and move before Trace does some hand squirting motion and water flies towards me again. “Come on in, girl!” I want to laugh at him. He’s got those horrible looking snorkeling goggles, the ones with the breathing tube, on the top of his head. He floats on his back for a second and I notice he has on feet flippers. He looks pathetically silly in those things and I can’t help but smile.

 

“I’m not a big water fan, thanks though.”

 

“Come on, Court. It’s fun! I saw Nemo!”

 

I blink and then notice near Trace Meredith is holding onto Justin’s back as he treads and swims around. Neither of them have on any snorkeling gear. It’s funny how she says she saw Nemo just like a five year old. Sometimes she shocks me with maturity other times she’s just…well, still very high school. I don’t blame her, though. She hasn’t really had to grow up yet. I guess the business can harden people to an extent, but she dropped out of college almost halfway and it’s my belief that you really don’t mature until college is over and the workplace begins. The normal 9-5 work day never applies to Meredith. It’s either an abnormally 6-past midnight, or not a workday at all.

 

“That’s ok. My book is just getting good.”

 

“We might have to come out for story time, then.” I roll my eyes when I hear Trace’s voice. “Any good, hot, hard core sex action yet?”

 

I just laugh and hear Meredith yell a shocked, “what?” before going back to my little seat, settling in and opening up my book again. I guess it’s great that they all seem so happy. I don’t know any of them that well. Even though I’ve spent pretty much every waking hour with Meredith for the past two weeks. I still feel like she’s guarded to some extent. Maybe its not really like she’s guarded, but she definitely doesn’t look at me like Justin looks at Trace. Most of the time I feel more like a babysitter than an assistant, more like a sister than a friend, and even then a sister that only recently was forced to connect with her. Even here, with everyone around, Justin and Trace who are my age, and her only a year or two younger than me and with 35 year old bodyguards hanging out at the back of the boat, I still feel like a babysitter, like an outsider. I feel like it’s my responsibility to keep everything in line and running smoothly. I can’t have fun like them. I guess I’m the one that’s guarded, not her.

 

And I know it’s my fault and my own doings that I feel that way, but I really don’t know what to do to stop. I feel, I don’t know, maybe matronly or something, sitting here with a chick book, wearing a sarong and drinking an iced tea while the three of them splash around like children.

 

I’m only 25. What the hell happened to me to make me age ten years or more?

 

Oh, right…Keith.

 

I sigh and take a sip from my drink, really wishing I had brought my cigarettes with me. But I really need to quit. I’ve been trying for a while now, but every time I go about a week without them I fall back into the habit. It doesn’t help that I can smell someone smoking on this boat, that sweet dense smell of tobacco. I don’t know who it is, but it’s making me a little crazy right now. I sit up and turn around hoping to discover who it is and hoping to bum a cig off of them.

 

It’s Trace. He’s got the flippers still on his feet and a towel around his bare neck and a cigarette dangling from his lips.

 

“Bring me a beer, J.”

 

I try to ignore him for my own sake of hoping I won’t become desperate and ask him where he got that cigarette. I pull my book up and pretend to read furiously and forget about the smell that’s lingering around me. A nice sea breeze comes through but it doesn’t help. I can hear his flippers flapping towards me.

 

“Hey.”

 

And I realize why. He’s now standing right over me. I peer down from the book and smile at him smugly before pulling the book back up. “Hi.”

 

“Can I sit wit cha?”

 

I don’t comment and I can sense movement near me. I look to my right, just glancing and notice him smiling at me, with that pathetic, stupid little smile he gives. “Gotten to a good part I see,” he says and takes off his flippers.

 

“No, I’m not reading. I’m trying to forget that you have a cigarette in your hand.”

 

“Want one?” I now notice that he has a pack in his hand and a small ashtray that he sets between us.

 

“I’m trying to quit.”

 

“So am I.” He laughs and pulls out a Marlboro for me. I shouldn’t be taking it.

 

“Here man.” I notice another shadow and Justin is standing there with two beers and a glass of champagne. He hands Trace the beer. And then sighs, takes a swig from the other bottle and then extends the glass to me. “Mere told me to give you this.”

 

“I have tea.” I know that’s such a lame thing to say. Right now I should just take it and say thank you and hopefully get him on my good side. But it just came out that way. I cringe a little because I know that his eyes narrowed behind his sunglasses.

 

“Just take it.” He all but throws it at me and a little bit of the bubbly drink spills on my thigh. I wipe it up as he walks away and disappears behind the side of the boat.

 

I’m sitting here trying to get situated with now two drinks, a book, and this sarong thing. I should just take it off. My towel keeps getting bunched up behind me and that’s annoying me beyond belief.

 

“Want your smoke or not?”

 

I groan and finally get everything situated before looking over at Trace and seeing him holding out the pack to me, squinting in the bright sun. I sigh and take one. “You’re a bad influence.”

 

“You like it, though.” He’s smiling as he lights it for me and it immediately takes the edge off any anxiety I was having. I don’t know why I would be anxious, but now I can feel the tobacco calming me down. Sometimes I don’t understand myself. “I’ll be back, I gotta piss.” I look as he stands up, his cigarette dangling from his lips as he holds his flippers in one hand and his beer in the other. The towel is still around his neck.

 

“Thanks for sharing.” I say, blowing a stream of smoke away from him.

 

“Don’t miss me too much. You better have picked out the good sexy scenes when I get back. I need a naptime story.”

 

I laugh and watch him walk away, “Perv.”

 

“You love it.” He laughs too and sticks his tongue out at me and I can’t help but smile. He annoys the shit out of me, but sometimes he seems to know just what to do to help me relax. Most other times he’s making my blood pressure and my stomach ulcers increase to new levels of obnoxiousness.

 

I hate to admit that I actually had a nice time with him when we went out to dinner, but I did. Of course most of that had to do with the fact that he all but forced me to drink a bottle of wine. By the end of the night I was happy and not much could change that. But when he’s not being a royal asshole, he’s not that bad. I think he just doesn’t know how to deal with a woman like me. A woman that won’t put up with his shit and won’t just jump in bed with him because his best friend is the hottest celebrity around. Justin’s not even that attractive.

 

I mean he’s not ugly, but…

 

“What was that?”

 

I cough and notice a very tanned, scantily clad brunette plopping down beside me. “Excuse me?” I ask.

 

She smiles behind her sunglasses and then unscrews a bottle of water and takes a sip. Maybe the girl has more sense than I give her credit for, drinking water instead of alcohol in the hot sun. “Flirting with Trace?”

 

Well, maybe she doesn’t have that much sense. “I highly doubt that. He’s annoying.”

 

She’s quiet for a moment and I remain lying back against the lounger. She just stares at me. I would ask her what’s the matter, but if its one thing I’ve learned about her in the past few weeks, when Meredith is staring, she’s thinking about something and its best just to let her do her thing. “I didn’t know you smoked. I mean I thought so, but I’ve never seen you do it.”

 

I laugh and flick off some of the ash into the tray Trace left. “Well, you caught me.” I start to cough a bit and know I shouldn’t be doing this. I reach for my tea but come in contact with the glass of champagne first.

 

“Isn’t it good?” She says as I touch the glass.

 

“I haven’t tried it yet.” I bypass the flute and go to my iced tea. I put a piece of aluminum over the top of the cup so that the ice wouldn’t melt and it’s worked pretty well. I was just surprised they had aluminum foil on this boat. It’s stocked like a regular house and I’m waiting for Meredith to squeal about how much she wants to live here yet.

 

“Do you like fish? ‘Cause Justin was thinking about grilling out tonight, maybe some shrimp and some type of fish. I don’t remember what kind he said.”

 

I nod and figure I won’t tell her I’m not the biggest seafood fan. I finally cross that barrier in my mind and tell myself to put down the cigarette and stub it out. I do, but take a big swallow from the champagne in response. She’s right. It is good. “Yeah that’s fine. Did you have fun?”

 

“It was so pretty underwater.” She finally moves to lean down against the lounger that Trace was in and stretches her arms above her head. “I wish you had come with us. You need to be more apart of the group.”

 

“The group?”

 

“Yeah the four of us. I feel like you wanna be left out. And we want to include you. I hope you don’t feel like I’m trying to leave you out. ‘Cause if I am, I really don’t mean to.”

 

I take in a breath. I know she’s been trying to include me. So yeah, she gets wrapped up in Justin every now and then, but I can say that she hasn’t ignored me. Not like in New York. In fact, she all but begged me before to get in the water with them. She almost convinced me but then when they started talking about sharks she was distracted and I was given a reason not to go in. “I just needed some alone relaxation and I’m not a big water fan. I can get seasick easily.”

 

Her mouth drops a little bit and she sits up. “Why didn’t you tell me? We could have just hung at the beach all day.”

 

“Meredith, stop it. It’s fine. I’m having fun.”

 

“Ok…” I know she’s not convinced, but the truth is I am having fun. I mean, I’m relaxed and my book is good and the tea is good and everything’s great. Just perfect. I hear her sigh and see her sitting up again and staring off behind us somewhere. She starts to smile a little bit when I hear Justin’s deep, distinctive laugh. I turn to look and he’s just by the railing looking out over the ocean with Layden, and taking long sips from his bottle of beer. She continues to stare at him and I just go back to my book, letting her do her thing. But before I can start reading again I hear, “Court, I think I’m in love.” I just look at her. “Like seriously.”

 

“I know.” I clear my throat and take another sip from that champagne flute, even though I know I shouldn’t. “You’re being careful, right?”

 

“We haven’t had sex, yet. I told you that the other night.”

 

“I know, but…” I sigh. I don’t want to have this conversation with her. I don’t want to make her mad. But, to me it just seems like she’s going into this so blindly. Does she not even remember the scream fest she had the other day, the crying? She was hysterical. And I know she can be dramatic, but this was different. She was seriously wounded by whatever it was he did or said to her. I just don’t understand why she took him back so easily. As far as I can see, he’s not as great as everyone else makes him out to be. “He fucked up, Mere. He really hurt you. If he does it again, I’m not gonna just be passive and let him come back in and win you back that easily.”

 

“Court…” She groans and looks at me. “I know what I’m doing. He was high and he wasn’t thinking and he’s really sorry. I know I sound like some pathetic girl right now, but I really believe him. I trust him. That, that thirty minutes that he went nuts and turned into a person I didn’t know, that was the only time I’ve seen him like that and well, just.” She shakes her head and says quickly, “I know what I’m doing, ok?”

 

That kind of makes me feel like she has no idea what she’s doing. “Please be careful. I don’t want you to get hurt in the middle of all your album stuff. It’s gonna be stressful enough as it is.”

 

“I know…” She nods and I notice now she’s still staring off into the distance. A small, giddy smile forms on her face and she bites her lip. I look back to see what’s so wonderful. He’s just standing there alone, his arms over the railing, his body bent a little as he looks out over the water by himself. I don’t know what’s got her so happy. “I need to ask you a favor.”

 

I’m almost afraid of what this is going to be. “What?”

 

“Well, so I told you we haven’t, ya know…yet.” How mature is that? She can’t even say the word ‘sex’ to me. “But we probably will soon, and I use to be on birth control but I stopped like three years ago when I broke up with Rex and I need to get an appointment with my gyno and I was hoping you could call for an appointment next week. I had planned to do it with him this week, but then all that crap happened and I realized that I need to be careful with this and I don’t like condoms so…”

 

I laugh. Man, she really does ramble. “I don’t need to know any more,” I say. What she does with him is definitely her business. And it’s not that I want to know all the details of her sex life. Maybe she assumes I do and that’s why she’s telling me all this. I am glad she’s thinking this through, though. The last thing we need is a little Timberbaby running around. And she doesn’t seem like the type of person that could handle the idea of an abortion. “Of course I can,” I say after a minute. “Just please be careful, Meredith. Not just about this sex stuff. Don’t just assume that ‘cause he told you some wonderful things and promised you he’d never do it again that he’s not going to hurt you. He’s still a guy and guys fuck up.”

 

“So do girls, Courtney. I fuck up all the time.” She laughs, but then stops and I notice now that she’s just staring at me, staring at me very, very hard. Oh no, what’s she thinking now? “Why are you such a man-hater?”

 

“I’m not.” I shrug, and pretend to read my book. I don’t hate men. I just don’t trust any of them.

 

“Yes you are…” She leans forward and touches my shoulder. “You were hurt bad, weren’t you?”

 

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” I almost shrug her off and get up and walk away. I don’t want to have this conversation and I pray, pray for a distraction. Where is Trace? It doesn’t take that long to pee.

 

“Mere…” I sigh and thank Justin silently in my head. “Come here…”

 

She stands up, adjusts her suit and then she bends down and grits out to me, “You better dish later.”

 

I watch her walk away and towards him. He has a huge beach towel around him and opens it up and she willingly hugs him and he wraps the towel around her. They kiss, a lot and I try not to stare but I can’t help it. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve experienced that, since I’ve had that look that’s on her face. I have to wonder if I was ever that giddy and girly with a man, if I ever let my guard down that much. Maybe that’s what ruined my last relationship. Maybe I didn’t let it down enough.

 

Or maybe I let it down too much.

 

There’s a lounge chair over by the railing and she squirms out of his hold and pulls on his hand to the chair. He immediately lays the towel on the lounger and plops down, stretching. She curls up beside him and I notice now how tiny she is compared to him. I pull on my top a bit and readjust my sarong. I really hope there’s no boats around here with paparazzi on them, ‘cause they are being more than affection. His hand is all over her back, traveling down a bit to barely touch her ass. She just holds on to him and lays her head down.

 

His kisses the top of her head and runs his fingers through her hair that’s still damp.

 

This is sick. And I don’t want to watch any more.

 

But even when I feel a presence lay down beside me, I can’t take my eyes away from them. I know it’s Trace, I can hear him clear his throat. But I don’t look away. “I know he’s your friend and all, but I can not believe she took him back that easily, that quickly.”

 

He just laughs. “Well, he was really sorry, Courtney. I told you she would.”

 

I look over at him and he’s nursing a beer. “But by the way she acted that day it was like he ripped her heart out.”

 

“Maybe he gave it back…gently.”

 

I laugh. He’s so ridiculous. “Oh shut up.”

 

He leans closer to me and says in a lower voice. “Maybe she’s just not closed off, Courtney. Maybe she’s willing to take that chance, to maybe get hurt, but maybe she thinks it’s worth it if she falls in love.”

 

I sigh and shake my head and stare at them. I think they’re both going to sleep, or nodding off in that direction. She hasn’t moved and he has one hand on her arm and the other on her back. “I think she already is, or at least she thinks she is.”

 

“So’s he. Though I’m sure he’s gonna have a harder time admitting it than her. Justin falls hard, Court, but he doesn’t do it easily. Ever since well…” He pauses and shakes his head. “He’s had enough hurt in his love life to make him very cautious. Maybe not as cautious as you…”

 

I cut my eyes from them to him. “Excuse me?”

 

“I didn’t say a thing.” He laughs and leans back completely in his chair.

 

“Oh my god, what?” I notice him looking me over. He’s still not wearing sunglasses but came back with a horrible looking straw hat. It looks like one of those golfing hats my dad use to wear.

 

“Nothing, you’re just...” His eyes pause at my legs and then darts his eyes back up at me. “…cute today.”

 

“Cute?” I can’t help but laugh. I laugh loud and hard and take a swallow from my champagne. “Hilarious.”

 

“Look, forget it.”

 

“I’d appreciate it if you’d stop coming on to me.”

 

I glance at him and he rolls his eyes and crosses his arms over his chest. I notice his tattoos. I’ve seen the one on his neck before, but now that he’s shirtless I can really see the ones on his arms much better. What is it with these boys and their tattoos? Justin’s got ones all over his legs, which I don’t understand and I think that one on his back is just cheesy. And all of Trace’s scream redneck pride. Meredith has one. I found that out today when she would bend or squat down. It’s right on the lowest part of her back, to the right a bit. But hers is classy. It’s a small music note. The one that’s staring me in the face now is the Jack Daniels thing that’s on his arm. I’d never get a tattoo.

 

“Right…you wish Courtney.”

 

He’s got an attitude and seems upset. I don’t know what his deal is. Just a second ago he seemed fine. He can always annoy me, but whenever I do it with him he gets pissed off. He really needs to gain some backbone or something. “Why are you getting mad?”

 

“You were the one that got drunk the other night and started playing footsies with me.”

 

I laugh. “Footsies? Come on now Trace…”

 

At first I think he’s just playing around. But then I look over I see he’s still got his arms crossed and is starting out straight in front of him and is gritting his teeth. Why the hell is he so mad with me? “And you kept pulling your top down and squeezing your boobs together.” He cuts his eyes to me and stares. “Don’t pretend that you weren’t ‘cause I use to be engaged, Courtney. I know how women work.”

 

I stare at him for a moment. I can’t believe that. Not the boob thing, I don’t remember doing that. But, did he just say engaged? “What?”

 

“What?” He shrugs.

 

“You were engaged?” How the hell did that happen? He seems like the least likely person to be engaged, ever. I imagined him being 60 and like Hugh Hephner. I don’t know why women would be attracted to him, but I can picture him with a bunch of blondes on his arm and a Jack Daniels in the other hand and him just living the life of a bachelor forever. He’s got to be joking. He was engaged?

 

Well was…maybe that’s why he’s not married. He’s still too much in single mode.

 

“The shocker of the century, I know.” He shakes his head and pushes himself up off his chair. “Ya know what? Forget it. Enjoy your little romance novel.” I just sit there with my mouth open a little bit as he grabs his beer and goes over by Justin. They slap hands and talk for a moment and then Trace disappears into the cabin of the yacht. For a moment I think of following him, but then I decide against it.

 

I can’t help it if I never saw him as a one-woman type of a guy, or a person that would settle down. He seems to just care about partying and having a good time and not worrying about any one else. Maybe I’m wrong about him. Or maybe not, maybe I’m right and he’s just pissed ‘cause he fucked up a good relationship he had. For some reason I don’t think that’s the truth and I think a part of me that wanted to see him as one way is finding out he’s different than that. Like when we went out to eat, I assumed he was getting me drunk so he could take advantage of me. And I did get drunk, I don’t know what possessed me to keep drinking the wine, but I did. But he didn’t lay a hand on me, just held my arm as we walked to the car and drove me home. Then Teddy rode with him back to get the car I drove.

 

He was a gentleman that night and I think the more and more I get to know him the more of the uncaring party guy is fading away and the more of an interesting individual is coming through. And that’s…well that could be a bad thing.

 

Whatever it is, I’m over trying to figure him out. It’s not worth the brain cells to even think about this kind of thing. He’s just a strange little man. Funny at times, entertaining at times, but that’s it. And that’s all he’ll ever be.

 

Chapter 11 by Mere

Off of Valleyview Road, 11:35 a.m.

 

I've been helping her all morning. Apparently she's had this house for about two or three months now, but only recently has had the time to actually set it up the way she wants. It's not huge, but nice. Has a great back yard and pool and a nice view. I'm amazed how disorganized it is, though. My house was set up by my mom mainly so I didn't have to worry about decisions of where things went. Meredith wants to do it all on her own. It’s her first house on her own, that she bought herself. She seems very proud of it and she should be.

 

She assumed this morning that I was an electronics wizard, which I'm not, but I managed to get her entertainment center set up for her. When Trace comes by later I'll have him make sure it's working right. We also moved her piano this morning, not very far, just centered it in the room she wanted. It was so cute how she got all pissed off at me when after we were done moving it, I sat down and started to play. She kept going, “Justin come on, we have more to do!” Then she stomped her foot when I just played and sang to her, “Justin, come on…we have more to do…stomp your little feet and you might go through…the floor…”

 

I got smacked in the shoulder but her smacks never hurt. It’s kind of worth it just to see her get that little pissed off look on her face. I’ve come to realize over the past few weeks that everything she does amazes me. Every action, expression, word, is cute or beautiful or intriguing. Like now, how she’s barely holding up her weight on the end of this couch, but she’s biting her lip like it’s paining her so much.

 

It’s not even that heavy of a couch. She did the same thing when we went snorkeling. After a while she said she was tired and made me carry her around on my back while I swam. She’s tiny so it didn’t really weigh me down much and later that night she told me she really wasn’t tired she just wanted to hold onto me. She says things like that a lot, little sweet things that tell me she really really cares about me.

 

And I don’t understand why.

 

When I came to her beach house I expected to get slapped. All I was hoping for was to see her, to talk to her and tell her how sorry I was. But as soon as I opened that door and saw her laying in the bed staring at me I couldn’t help myself, and I needed and wanted and hoped for so much more. And she gave it. I never expected her to take me back that easily.

 

But I’m glad she did. I’ve really realized over the past week or two how much this girl is starting to mean to me. What started out as a simple little crush, an attraction, has come into this new thing. I wouldn’t call it love, I don’t know her that well yet, but the more and more I find out about her the more I find the possibility of love easier and easier. And it takes a while for me to get to that point where I can just fall. At least, normally it does.

 

Our time in Miami was wonderful, after we made up and went to the Keys for a day, we spent our time just relaxing. We talked about the months ahead, what she was doing, what I was doing, tried to plan times to meet up and both decided that the next few weeks were going to be insanely important for us. We agreed to spend every bit of time together, as much as possible. But what’s been so amazing about that was how the first night we came back to LA, I told her I was gonna go home and rest up and she didn’t seem upset. She nodded and said she couldn’t wait to get to her own home and sleep. When we decided to hang out as much as possible in the coming weeks I was a little afraid that she assumed that meant every moment. I’ve had girls cling to me and want to be around me 24/7 and while I don’t mind that most of the time, there are those moments when I need my space. And I think she understands that.

 

In fact, she’s only stayed with me one night since we’ve been back in LA and I haven’t stayed with her yet. She says I’m not allowed to stay with her until her house is completely in order. With the rate we’re going we might have it done by tonight. I hope so, I’d like to stay the night with her again. It’s nice sleeping with her, she’s warm but not too hot and she always fits perfectly against me. And she’ll snuggle or whatever but not too much, and when its time to really go to sleep she curls up on her own side and lets me sprawl out. I know she doesn’t realize she’s doing it, but I can’t stand when someone clings to me all night long and she doesn’t do that. And it’s also a plus that she didn’t mind me letting the dogs sleep in my bedroom. In fact she paid more attention to them than me or my house when I first showed it to her.

 

She’s also adorable in the mornings, grumpier than I am and likes to hang around in bed nodding on and off as much as I do.

 

And she’s agreed to go home with me in a couple of weeks. My momma’s excited to meet her, and, well, I’m really excited too. It’s been a while since I brought a girl home and I think me and Trace have talked her up enough that there’s no way they aren’t going to get along. I’m glad Trace has been so supportive of this. I know it hurts him, I know he’s still getting over Elisha, but I also know that in time he’s gonna find himself a sweet little country girl just like I did.

 

And we’ll both be happy boys again, just like in the old days, but without all the high school type drama.

 

“Here?” I look up at her and she huffs.

 

“Yes, just put it down. It’s heavy.” I wait for her to put her end down before gently lowering it to the floor. When I stand up she’s leaning against the couch and pouting.

 

“What’s wrong?” I smile at her.

 

“I forgot to put those little scratchy things on the bottom.”

 

She turns and walks back further into the house towards the kitchen. “The what?”

 

“The little things that keep the legs from scratching the hard wood, momma told me I needed to make sure I put them on. Where did Courtney put that bag?”

 

I go to sit down on one of the chairs there for a moment and use the front of my tank to wipe off my face a little bit. We have the air condition on full blast, but it’s hot as hell outside and she’s had me doing some pretty heavy lifting all morning. “Hey, do you know what we’re doing for lunch yet? I’m starving.”

 

She comes back with an arm full of cushions and I stand up and help her get them all set up on the couch. “I have some oranges in the kitchen.”

 

“Girl you need to go to the grocery store, no wonder you’re so skinny.” We both sit down and I immediately start pinching her sides. She slaps my hand and passes me a look.

 

She puts her feet up on the table after a minute and then leans against me. “I think Court is gonna bring me by some food in an hour or so, I can call her and have her pick you up some, too.”

 

I put my arm around her and relax completely. It feels good to just chill out for a moment. “No, it’s cool. Trace is coming by in a little bit too and he’s supposed to be bringing me something.”

 

“Ohhh…” She giggles and looks up at me and pulls away and pushes herself against the opposite end of the couch. Her shoes go in my lap. “I see.”

 

“What?”

 

“I bet they’ll come here together.” She grins. “I think they’re dating.”

 

“They’re not.”

 

“They went out to eat and kept flirting and then fighting in Miami.”

 

“Trace is just teasing the hell out of her. He would never go for a girl like that.”

 

She shrugs and smiles at me. “What’s wrong with her?”

 

I stretch my arms. What’s not wrong with that girl? She’s totally opposite from everything that’s Meredith and I like everything that’s Meredith, a lot. Courtney’s, she’s the type of girl I can’t stand. She’s like those office chicks at Jive, worse than those. “Too uptight for his taste. The more I get to know her, the less I like her. ”

 

Meredith reaches down and pulls off her shoes and then looks at me. “Am I uptight?”

 

I smile at her and lean forward and smack the side of her hip lightly. “You gotta tight ass…”

 

She pushes my head away from where I’m leaning over her. I’m only about a foot above her crotch. She looks really pretty right now and I think maybe we could use a break. “Silly…” She says and smiles at me. Her arm shoots out and reaches over to the coffee table to grab the stereo remote.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Making sure this works…” Shit, I hope it works. I hope it doesn’t explode or something when she turns it on. That’d be embarrassing. She gets it going and puts on the radio and turns it up rather loud. Thank God it’s working properly. I got the speakers up and it seems like they are doing surround sound pretty well. Score points for me! I’m not a total electronics idiot. I see that she wants to lay around for a while so I go ahead and kick off my shoes and smile at her. Laying around with Mere is always the fuckin’ best.

 

She grins at me, but the look in her eyes is a strange one and she pats her chest and says in a quiet tone, “Lay down…”

 

I do what she asks and I lay my body gently down on hers and lay my head in between her breasts. I stare at one of them and notice that her nipples are hard. Now I know damn well she’s not cold. I can feel that she’s a little damp with sweat. She still smells good though. Her hand is running over my head and down my neck and I feel her hands grab my shoulders and try to pull me up. I lift up and look at her.

 

Yeah, I’ve seen those eyes before and I know what they mean. But these eyes are stronger than I’ve ever seen from her. Her eye lids are lazy and she’s got this smile, this sexy small smile. I feel her hands move down over my chest and to the waist of my shirt. Her hands are soon on my skin, fingertips against my stomach. She’s licking her lips and I take in a huge breath as I hold my body off hers. Contact right now would be….dangerous. “What are you doing…”

 

Her hands tug on my shirt and she whispers, “Kiss me.” She’s lifting herself up to meet me, like she’s fucking craving me to kiss her and touch her. We haven’t really made out that much since we’ve been back in LA, not by choice, we’ve just been hanging out and working on things together more than being able to relax. Well I take that back. Of course we’ve fucking made out, but just like a kiss that turns into a little heavier or something. This….the way she’s looking at me now, this is serious.

 

She wants something from me.

 

I take a breath, unable to really control myself completely and lean down to touch her lips with mine. She fucking attacks. And I can’t say I don’t like it. In fact, I like it a lot. She spreads her legs and lets me settle my weight down on her and kisses me like I don’t know, like I taste like chocolate or something. I know I don’t, but damn, that makes me think maybe I should bake her some cookies or brownies and we can, I don’t know…play.

 

I feel her hands on my bare back, gripping my sides and pulling something up. I pull away and she starts to kiss my neck. Shit, this girl can’t suck on my neck. I don’t care about hickies but that just…that’s gonna get me going to a place I can’t back down from. Fuckin’ commercial on the radio with that Gilbert Godfrey guy’s annoying ass voice and here I am getting a fucking hard on the size of Montana with my girl sucking on my neck and taking off my clothes.

 

Shit, she’s trying to take off my clothes. I pull back. “Mere…”

 

“Take it off.” She whispers, biting her lip at me. The shirt’s bundled up under my arms and she runs her hands over my chest, looking down at my torso and then back at my face. She smiles.

 

It’s a smile I’ve seen before. But never from her. I’ve seen girls under me, half clothed, breathing hard, giving me that smile, that smile that means, “get naked and fuck me…now.” This girl can’t be serious. I thought she had some standard, some waiting period or something.

 

“I thought…”

 

She latches her hands around my neck, shakes her hand and pulls me down so I’m laying on her again. “I’m not ready yet. I mean, wait. I take that back. I am ready. I’m ready as hell to have…” She takes in a breath and blushes slightly when she says, “have sex with you, but I can’t until I go to the gyno and get back on birth control. My appointment is tomorrow.”

 

I smile at her. That really makes me happy, to know that in just a few days I’ll be able to have her. It’s not all I want from her, and I’m willing to wait, but being unable to control my thoughts about her and the hard-ons that usually follow with this girl has been a hassle. Plus, it’s gonna be great when we do it. Not just because she’s hot or because I’ve been horney but because it’ll really mean something for us. I think it’ll really take us to a place where, where nothing can touch us. I wanna be connected with her like that.

 

“You’re ready?” I ask and touch her face.

 

Her voice is a husky whisper, “I want you so bad.” Shit, shit, fucking shit the way she said that is hot enough to make me come. I bury my head against her neck. I can’t even look at her any more, that look she’s giving me is just too much. “I wanted you in Miami. I planned to do it with you in Miami.”

 

“Planned?”

 

“I bought lingerie and silk sheets and candles and all this stuff, but then you were mean…”

 

I pull back away from her. Shit, now I’ve gone and made her think about that. She might have forgiven me, but I haven’t forgiven myself yet. I don’t know if I’ll be able to forgive myself for the way I treated her, and the more I find out about all her plans and what she wanted to do with me, the more I feel like the biggest asshole.

 

I don’t deserve her, but I sure as hell am gonna cherish her. “Girl, I…”

 

She covers my mouth with her fingers and smiles at me. “Shh, it’s ok. It’s better this way. I don’t wanna do this until I’m gonna be safe.”

 

I suck in a breath. I don’t wanna be an ass about all this, but if she’s ready and she wants to, and clearly, the way she has her legs wrapped around me and the way she’s pushing her lap into my crotch…she wants to. I mean, I’m not too much of a pussy to go to the store and get something. I lick my lips and look at her. “I can go get some condoms.”

 

She shakes her head and moves her hands to my shoulders and helps me pull off my shirt. Her hands go to my chest and it feels so fucking good to be touched like this. Sure she touched me when we were in Miami and I was just in my shorts at the beach or when I was asleep with just my boxers, but this is different. This is enough to turn me on beyond belief. She kisses me for a moment and then whispers close to my lips. “I wanna feel you when we have sex Justin, not some fake thing. I don’t want there to be anything holding us back. I wanna feel you inside me…”

 

“Shit girl, you can’t say stuff like that.” I pull her body hard against mine. I need to feel this girl too and to hear her say that she really wants me inside of her…oh, fucking shit. Dammit, I’m gonna have to go home and jack off. I just know it.

 

“Well, you know until we can really have sex…” I sigh and kiss her neck as she whispers into my ear, “There are other things we can do…”

 

I suck in a breath and push my dick into her. She moans a little underneath me and it makes me get chills to know that she likes that. Maybe, maybe I’m not gonna have to go home and jack off. “Like?”

 

Her hand is at my hip and I can feel her trying to move it in between us. I pull back a bit and look in her eyes and she smiles at me. “Let me touch you…”

 

That’s…that’s too much. I don’t want her feeling like she has to, like she has to get me off to appease me for waiting to have sex with her. “Meredith…” I shake my head and try to pull away.

 

She pulls me back down against her. “Justin, I want to. Don’t even think about trying to talk me out of this ‘cause I know you want it, too.” I just stare at her and then I feel it. She bites her lip and gets a shy look in her eye as I feel her grab me through my shorts. Damn…damn, damn, damn. I haven’t felt that in such a long time.

 

And it’s weird cause like, ok, a couple months ago I was fucking this girl named Jocelyn and she was really pretty and all and had a dirty mouth, but she was always so rushed when she did things, like sexual things. A lot of times it seemed like all she wanted was sex. She didn’t really care about the fooling around part. And sometimes that’s better than the actual thing.

 

Ok, nothing’s better than actually being inside of a woman, but working on getting inside can be a hell of an adventure.

 

She’s touching me slow, trying to get a grip around me through the shorts. I sigh and tell her to stop for a second. She does and I pull off some of the cushions that we put on the couch so that I can lay down beside her better and have more room. She turns up on her side facing me and I put an arm around her and put the other behind my head. I feel her hand, small and soft run over my torso and then down and down.

 

This time she doesn’t fool around with the material of my shorts and goes under the elastic of my boxers to actually touch me. I suck in a breath and feel myself go rigid.

 

“I’ve been craving this for so long…”

 

She kisses my neck and strokes me. God, this is fucking insane. I almost forgot how good this felt. “Remember our last night in Miami, when we were making out on the back porch?” She whispers in my ear and moves her leg over mine a bit. I spread my legs and push my thigh against her crotch, hard.

 

I laugh and turn to kiss her for a second, “You mean when I was dry humping you and sucking on your neck?”

 

She blushes and bites her lip. “Yes…”

 

“How in the hell are you going to be shy with me right now when just a second ago you were talking about touching me. And now, now you’re fucking…” I gasp as she squeezes me hard and runs her thumb over the head. She’s stroking so slow, so God damn slow.

 

“But I didn’t say, ‘I wanna rub on your dick,’ did I? No, I was polite.”

 

I chuckle and kiss her again. “You sayin’ I ain’t polite?”

 

“Sometimes you’re a little too crude.” I turn on my side hoping she’ll stop jacking me off, ‘cause honestly, I wanna come, but not in my shorts.

 

“I think it gets you hot.” I smile at her and she rolls her eyes.

 

“Yeah, right.”

 

She doesn’t stop touching me so I reach up with a hand and cup her breast. “Then why are your nipples hard?”

 

“Justin!” She pulls her hand away from me to smack me and I just touch her more, squeezing her and running my thumb over her nipple.

 

“Excuse me…” I laugh and kiss her and get her so she’s on her back. “Madam, why are your breasts excited and pushing out so erotically against your cotton tee shirt?”

 

“Shut up…” She growls and pouts a little bit. And I do what she asks. I shut up and I kiss her. Her hands grab at me and her legs wrap around me and I start moving my hips to get a little friction in between us. She can feel how hard I am and I think it’s making her want me. She’s moaning and sighing just a little bit, real quiet like.

 

It’s so hot just to lay on her and do this. I keep wondering what she looks like naked. When we were in Miami I kept picturing her without that little bathing suit of hers. And she has that little tattoo on the back of her hips, right above her ass. That’s so fucking hot. I wanted to ask her to take a shower with me or a bath when we were down there, but I was too chicken ‘cause I was trying not to push too much with her since I was still trying to work myself out of the asshole ditch.

 

My hand goes up under her shirt and she doesn’t protest when I pull up her tee shirt to find a little thin, pink bra underneath. God her breasts look so good right now. I sigh and she laughs at me but I don’t care. I lean down and kiss her to shut her up. I start moving against her again. I guess we probably look stupid, me all dry humping her on her couch with us all half clothed. But I don’t care. It feels damn good.

 

“I can’t wait ‘til we can really do this…” I press myself into her and hold it there. “It’s been almost four months.”

 

She sighs and rubs her hands over my shoulders. “Try three years, big boy.”

 

“Three?” Poor girl. I hope I can treat her right when the time comes. She deserves to get laid good. Ok, that probably sounds bad. What I mean is, she deserves to have someone make her feel that good, to please her that well. “Damn, I better perform then.”

 

She laughs and my muscles relax a little. Her laughter does that to me. “I’ve almost forgotten what it’s like.”

 

“Really?”

 

“No,” She laughs some more and kisses me briefly. “It just makes me not realize I’m craving it that much when I say it.”

 

I move down and kiss her breasts a little bit, the part that’s sticking out the top of the bra. I move to the fabric part and gently bite down on her there. She squirms and I take my hand, find hers and put it back in between us. She quickly finds my hard on again and I look up at her and press my lips in the middle of her chest. “Don’t stop…”

 

She holds me through my shorts again and I want her to really touch me again, without clothing in the way. But I’m not gonna force her hand down my pants. She doesn’t do what I ask. She stops and pulls her hand away and moves to sit up. I look at her with wide eyes. Did I do something wrong? Dear God, don’t tell me I fucked something up again.

 

“What is it?” I quickly ask and pull back so that I’m sitting back on my knees.

 

She smiles and sits up like me. She moves her hand to touch my face and kisses me slowly. “I wanna see you…” She grabs me through my shorts and then moves her hand up over my body and back up to my shoulder and pulls me into a deep kiss. “Let’s go to my bedroom and get out of these nasty clothes…”

 

She’s smiling at me and damn, do I want to. God, I wanna go back and get naked with her. Maybe I can ask her to take that shower, now. But dammit, I don’t know if I can control myself. I look down and I’m sticking out pretty far in my shorts. I really gotta start wearing something sturdier than basketball shorts when I’m around this chick.

 

I mean, what if she starts wanting it and I don’t have condoms and she’s not on birth control and…and I wanna say that I’d be a man and be able to stop myself. But sometimes when I’m around her my head gets all clouded and I get irrational. And I’m afraid I won’t be able to control myself. “Mere, I don’t know…”

 

“I can control myself.” She says, reading my mind.

 

I pull away from her and she’s biting her lip and looks excited like we’re at the fucking ice cream shop and she’s five years old. Damn, she’s gonna devour me? I laugh at her and reach behind her to pull her into a hug, us still on our knees, my hands on her ass. “Really?”

 

“When I’m sober yes…” She smiles at me, this little devilish smile. She takes off her top and throws it over the back of the couch before reaching down and pushing her hand down into my shorts. She grabs me again, bites her lip and leans back and pulls me down on top of her. This is too much for me.

 

“Mere…I can’t, I can’t control it.” God she’s touching me fast and hard, it’s like she wants to get me off right here. And she’s kissing me, not letting me talk. I pull away and she pulls on my neck so that her lips can suck me there. “I can’t. Not with you…not with you doing that…”

 

She doesn’t care. I really think this girl doesn’t care and hell. I don’t either. I kiss her so hard, thrusting my tongue in her mouth. I decide if she’s gonna play this game then I’m gonna play along. I pull away and grin at her. “Can you control it, if I do it to you…”

 

A small little shocked look comes over her face and she arches her back just a bit and grips my dick real hard when I cup her through her shorts and press my palm right over her spot. I wanna make this girl feel good ‘cause she’s done way too much for me from the start.

 

“Where the fuck are you two at?”

 

“You might want to turn down…” I gasp, her eyes pop open and before we have time to move I’m looking towards the hallway and so is she and there are two other people looking back at us. That Courtney girl’s mouth is dropped and she’s just staring at us and Trace is too, but I see laughter forming in his face.

 

“Oh…”

 

Shit Justin…MOVE.

 

“Fuck…” I back up off her and she curls into the back of the couch.

 

“We’ll be in the kitchen.” I hear Trace say quickly and watch as he pulls on Courtney’s arm. I don’t say anything until they disappear.

 

Hell, I can’t even think before they disappear. I take a few breaths, trying to stop my heart from beating this fast. All the blood that was rushing to my crotch seems to be pumping back up in my ears now. I sigh. And then I start to wonder: how the hell did they get in? And how did we not hear them? The radio wasn’t that loud. Shit, don’t tell me she doesn’t lock her doors. It could have been anyone, a crazy fan, a stalker, paparazzi.

 

I take a breath, sit up normal on the couch, and lean forward a bit putting my head in my hands. “Shit, Mere did you not lock your door? You need to be safer!”

 

“No, I did. Courtney has a code.”

 

I look at her in shock as she puts her shirt back on. “You gave her the code!”

 

She just stares at me for a moment. Does she not realize what could happen? “Yeah, she knows the access code too…” I stare at her. I can’t believe this. “Why’s it so bad?”

 

“You trust her that easily already?”

 

“She hasn’t given me a reason not to.” She shrugs.

 

I honestly can’t believe she’s saying this to me. From the girl who cried to me that night months ago, cried her fucking eyes out until I had to finally calm her down, hug her and let her take a nap on the couch in the studio because she was so upset over what Leah did, to this, someone who’s willing and ready to trust the next assistant that walks in the door. She’s only known this Courtney bitch for like two weeks or so. She knew Leah for almost two years and that girl still fucked her over.

 

If she’s not careful she’s gonna get hurt again. I told her she was gonna have to be careful about who she lets in. I told her that was one of the biggest down falls of being famous, not being able to trust many people. I thought she got it. I thought she understood.

 

“Well I don’t trust her, and I don’t think she should have the security code to your house. You’ve known me longer than her and I don’t know the code.”

 

“Come on Justin, she’s my personal assistant. If you want a damn code, I’ll fucking tell you. But don’t be mad at me. Doesn’t Trace know every code and have every key to your place?”

 

That’s completely different and it’s lame for her to even try to compare them. “Of course he does, but Trace lives with me and I’ve known him for forever and this is entirely different. Who says she couldn’t have had a camera right now and plastered the fact that you were giving me a hand job on the six o’clock news.”

 

She takes in a breath and hands me my shirt. She won’t look at me, but she whispers, “She’s not Leah.”

 

“Right, and you didn’t think Leah would take pictures of you and Megan’s drunken party one night.”

 

She shakes her head, stands up off the couch and starts to walk away. “Shut up Justin.” Shit, I’m doing it again.

 

I get up, holding my shirt in one hand and grabbing her arm in the other. She looks at me. She looks upset and I hate it. I hate seeing her like this. “Look at me. I’m right, aren’t I?”

 

She takes a breath and I see her start to break and I pull her into me. She holds me tight and says quietly into my shoulder. “It can’t happen twice, right?”

 

“It’s not supposed to happen once, Meredith. What she did to you isn’t supposed to happen at all. People aren’t supposed to be that greedy and fucked up, but they are. And I hate to be cynical but there’s more people out there like that than you know.” I sigh and run my hand over her hair and she hooks her arms under me and holds onto my shoulders. “You’re not being careful enough and I don’t mean to be an ass, but now it’s not just your reputation on the line, it’s mine, too. I mean, we haven’t even talked about what were gonna do with the press. It’s not like we can keep it a secret that we’re together...” I pull back a little and move my arms from around her and hold her face in my hands. “But I don’t want to talk about us to them. I want us to be private and I want to keep you, this, us to ourselves as much as possible. It’s no one else’s business really.”

 

She sighs, “But in our work it doesn’t happen that way…”

 

“We can try, please Mere. Just, be more careful. I’ll call up Johnny and we’ll all have a meeting sometime soon and we’ll talk about what we’re gonna do as far as questions in interviews about each other. They’re gonna come up and we need to be on the same page about them. I mean, hell girl, we worked together on our albums and…”

 

“I know, ok?” She huffs and pulls away from me, almost like she doesn’t want to have this conversation. But we have to have it. There’s no getting around it. “Let’s just go in there and talk to them.”

 

I don’t let her get away from me that easy and I look her dead on. “I don’t trust her, Mere.”

 

She nods. “I’ll be more careful, I promise.” She turns to walk away from me but shit, I don’t wanna end this conversation on a bad note. We were just having so much fun and, and then we were interrupted and I just want to make sure that our mood and our day together hasn’t been ruined. I tug on her arm and come up behind her, close.

 

“What?” She seems upset. I smile at her and run my hand up her arm to her neck.

 

“Can we finish later?”

 

She tries to keep a frown, but it doesn’t work and I lean in and kiss her cheek. “Maybe…” She says. I kiss her on the mouth briefly. She smiles. “If you are nice….”

 

I laugh and kiss her cheek again, hug her and whisper, “Oh I’ll be really nice.” She laughs and pushes me away and starts to walk into the kitchen. I follow her and put on my shirt.

 

When we get into the kitchen Trace is smiling at me. What a cock. That girl is just standing there, trying to look busy with unloading the bags of take out they have. I hope to God, for Mere’s sake, and mine, that she’s cool. But I don’t trust her and I don’t like her. And Meredith can’t expect me to just be ok with her knowing all of our business. “Sorry about that…” Mere says and I run my hand over her back before going to the fridge and pulling out a can of Diet Coke and handing it to her. I grab one for myself.

 

“I’m use to it.” Trace shrugs.

 

“What? Justin and hand jobs?”

 

I laugh. I can’t believe she just really said that shit. I pinch her side for a moment. “And you call me crude…” She laughs at me and smacks my hand away. She’s such a silly girl. I wrap my arms around her and blow on her neck and tickle her sides. She squeals and Trace and I laugh at her.

 

I look up and see that girl just staring at us. I hold Mere tighter and sway with her for a moment. “You alright there, Courtney?” I ask, staring her down.

 

She lifts her head but doesn’t look me in the eye. “Fine. We brought you guys lunch.”

 

“We?” Meredith asks and I know in her voice she’s insinuating that they’re dating. I know she thinks they are but, that’s just not right. Trace wouldn’t like a girl like her. I mean yeah, I kind of forced him on her in New York, but that was just ‘cause I wanted some time with my girl. If he starts liking her or dating her I’m gonna have to have a talk to him. ‘Cause that means Elisha fucked with his head more than I realize.

 

“Yes, but we made sure to have wild kinky sloppy sex in the backseat before we came in.”

 

Meredith laughs, but I don’t really. Why is he making jokes about that? Courtney just stares him down. “I could sue you for sexual harassment.”

 

“Anyway,” Trace rolls his eyes. Good, make sure she doesn’t think you like her. “So Courtney and I have news…”

 

“News?”

 

“Both your cell phones were turned off I assume. Angie and Justin’s manager were trying to contact you guys this morning.”

 

“For?” I ask.

 

She looks right at Meredith. “You’re shooting your video next week.”

 

Mere nods and I realize I’m still holding her. Damn, it feels good to hold her. “Yeah, for ‘Look Your Way’…”

 

I laugh a little. That’s our song. That’s our hot ass jam that they’re gonna be releasing soon. I lean down and start singing the chorus against her ear, kissing her there.

 

“Hush…” She swats at me, but she was just dancing when I sang it. It’s such a hot little jam.

 

“They wanna know if you’ll make an appearance.”

 

I look up at Trace, “Me?” He nods.

 

Mere pulls away and looks up at me. Her eyes look so excited. “Oh please…” She covers her mouth and shakes her head. “I mean, you don’t have to. Wow. Sorry…” She laughs nervously and bites her lip at me. I guess it is kind of weird. I mean, that might be cool being in her video. We did work on it together. But that’s gonna lead to questions, more so than there already are. Hell, I shouldn’t care. “It might be awkward, but I mean, you are on the song, you did produce it and we wrote it together. Just a little cameo would be cool. You sittin’ in the club with fly honies all around.”

 

I laugh and nod at her. “That could be cool.”

 

She narrows her eyes. “You better not like the fly honies too much.”

 

I laugh some more. “Yeah, that’d be cool.” I shrug and wink at her. “As long as I can fit it into my tight schedule.”

 

She rolls her eyes. “Nerd.” Trace hands me a box of take out and I spend a few minutes trying to find a fork to eat with. I keep opening up drawers and finally I find one. Man, I’ll be ready when this place is organized, too. ‘Cause I’m gonna be spending a lot of time here and if I can’t find a damn fork then we are gonna have a problem.

 

“Oh, I got you those frames you wanted this morning. They’re in the car.” I look up and see that Courtney is talking to Meredith.

 

“Let’s go get them.” Mere whisks around and goes out the backdoor in the kitchen. Courtney sighs and follows her. I don’t know what her deal is. It’s like everything she does seems so tiring to her. Damn, get over it. You picked this job chick.

 

I shake my head.

 

“So…”

 

I look up and see Trace chomping on a burger and smirking at me. I stab my salad with the fork. “Bad timing, Ayala.”

 

“I’ll make an excuse and get us out if you need time to bone her.”

 

I laugh and take a bite. Then I pop open the can of soda. “I told you we aren’t boning, yet.”

 

“That’s a shame.”

 

It’s quiet for a moment and I stab at my salad some more and take a few more bites and try to look out the window in the kitchen to the driveway to see what Mere and Courtney are doing. I see them talking and when Courtney turns around I see Mere make a face behind her back. “You trust that chick?” I ask Trace, going back to my stabbing.

 

“Who, Court?”

 

“Court?” I ask. So now he’s calling her by her little nickname, too. Great. “Yeah, Courtney.”

 

He shrugs. “Don’t really see any reason not to.”

 

“She seems too uptight to me, too by the rules. Too preachy.”

 

I don’t look at him, but I feel him staring at me and finally, after about a minute, I look up. “She’s not gonna sell some shit, Justin.”

 

I put the fork down and ask, “How do you know that? We don’t know this girl.”

 

“Well I’ve hung out with her. She’s just got a high stress level. I think doing anything sneaky would make her head explode or something. Too dangerous of a deed for her.”

 

I shake my head. I guess if I trust anyone about reading people it’s Trace. He’s pretty good with being able to scope people out. I just hope his dick isn’t in the way this time. “If you sense something weird with her tell me, alright?”

 

“You know I will, but she’s cool man.”

 

I have to ask. “You’re not fucking her, are you?”

 

“No….” He pauses but won’t look at me. This is not a good sign. That means he wants to. “Of course not. And if I was it wouldn’t matter, right?”

 

I can hear the girls coming back from outside and I sigh and say, “I don’t trust her. That’s all I’m saying.” Mere comes back in and we all decide to sit at the table instead of standing around. I guess this girl isn’t too bad, but I still don’t like her and they can’t expect me to be trusting with her at the snap of a finger. It’s gonna take time.

 

And I swear, if any bad press comes out about Mere and I, I know who I’m interrogating first. I know that sounds harsh but Trace’s first impressions aren’t the only ones that I trust. I trust my own. My first impression of this chick was bad. I thought she was too uptight, too controlling, and too moody.

 

That opinion hasn’t changed much over the past few weeks. I don’t care if Trace is fucking her or if Mere and her do become best friends. That doesn’t mean I have to like her. I’ve never been the best at being a trustworthy kind of guy. People have let me down too much in my life to make me be able to put a lot of faith in them. Call it a fault, call it being over cautious but I don’t want shit coming out about me, and I won’t stand for someone hurting my girl, not again.

 

It never should of happened to her in the first place, and if it happens again I’ll personally make whoever’s responsible pay.
Chapter 12 by Mere

Justin’s kitchen, 6:38 p.m.

 

Someone once told me that picking off the label of your beer bottle brings bad luck. I’ve never found that to be true. I guess I’ve been pretty lucky in life, unlucky as fuck in love, but very lucky in everything else. It’s been a nice week, calm, relaxing. I’ve pretty much just been doing the normal everyday thing, watching TV, going to the store, going out at night once in a while, doing laundry. I know weeks like this I should cherish, especially with all the shit I’m gonna be thrown in in less than a week. Justin’s got promo coming up. His single is gonna be released soon and then he’s planning on doing a club tour before his release date. The label wants it small, Justin wants it big. Not the show, but the number of shows. He’s asked me if he should push harder and honestly, I like being on the road, so I told him to go for it. Plus the club shows are a hell of a lot cooler than the big venues. I know Justin likes them better and plus, I get to drink and hang out at the club shows. Not that I wouldn’t be able to do that at the big shows, but at the clubs it’s more accepted, I guess.

 

I sound like an alcoholic.

 

“Your grandpa was asking about you. He hasn’t seen you in so long, Trace!”

 

I sigh and switch the phone to my other hand and finish off my beer. “Momma, I know. I told you we’ll be back in town in a few weeks.”

 

“You always say that. I want a date this time, son.”

 

I watch as Justin comes around the bar from where he had been in the den. He walks towards the fridge and grabs two beers, takes off their caps and leans over the counter, taking a sip out of one. “I’ll ask Justin and see what he says.”

 

“Who is it?” Justin asks. Him and his girl have been here all day and I’ve been hanging out with them. It hasn’t been that bad. She’s actually been around a whole hell of a lot this week. She was here last night and I think she stayed over. They’re pretty good with containing their PDA. I mean sure they’ll lay on the couch together and kiss each other, but it’s not all tongue and slobber and groping and humping. Justin had to take a phone call earlier and Mere and I had a nice conversation about Atlanta. She apparently grew up somewhere near there. Then we were talking about food and I started to brag about my empanada skills and she then challenged me to make them. So of course Justin got back, got all excited and I ended up making us all dinner. I guess it was kind of a nice thing.

 

Would have been nicer if there was a girl with me, or hell, anyone else here besides just me. They aren’t trying to make me be the third wheel and they are doing a good job of including me, but no matter what they try I still feel alone and I still feel awkward around them. I never was this way with Justin and Britney. Maybe it’s ‘cause I knew her better, or maybe ‘cause I wasn’t heart broken at that time.

 

Maybe that’s it. Shit, I really, really gotta get over this girl. I have good days ya know, where I don’t think of her at all, especially days when I work. But these days just sitting around doing nothing well, it makes my mind wander and it seems to always lead to her.

 

“Momma…” I tell him and then hear over the line. “Yes baby?”

 

I laugh a little. “No, Justin just walked in I was telling him who was on the phone.”

 

“Let me talk to him.”

 

It’s a demand not a question. I pull the phone away and hand it to Justin, giving him a warning look. “She wants to talk to you.”

 

He cringes, takes a swig and then pulls the phone up to his ear, standing up straight. “Hey Momma Two...Yes ma’am...Great…Yeah, um, I think it’s not this Wednesday but the next? Like a week and two days or something…Yes ma’am, I’ll make sure he calls you before we take off...That’s right, I do.” He rolls his eyes. “She’s nice...Georgia…No, I’ve been trying to get him out but you know how he is…Ok, love ya….”

 

I groan when he hands me the phone back and I look at him, “ask you about dating?” He nods. She just won’t give it up. She’s determined to have me married by next year. Well, it’s not gonna happen. It sucked, too when all the shit went down. She was all into the planning process, all excited to marry off her son. She cried more than I did when I told her that Elisha dumped me. “Don’t worry mom, as soon as I go on a date you’ll be the first to know,” I say into the phone.

 

“I just worry about you, baby. Elisha was such a nice girl and…”

 

I know now if I don’t shut her up she’ll keep going and I’ll get pissed off and say something regrettable. My momma is wonderful but she’s not the most tactful. Most people assume our relationship is just like Justin and Lynn’s, since Lynn and her are really close and Justin and I are really close. But it’s not like that at all. She doesn’t know everything about me and I’m not really comfortable telling her every little thing. She’s awesome, and of course I love her, but…she can be a little much. I sigh and lie into the phone knowing if I tell her I have to work she’ll immediately let me go. Sometimes I think she believes my job is more important than the president’s. I think she thinks I run Justin’s life and make him his money. I really just go get him his coffee and go shopping for jeans and sneakers with him and hang out. “Mom I gotta go. Justin needs me to do some business. Love you, bye.”

 

“Oh…ok baby, call me later.”

 

I snap the phone close, put it on the counter and lean my forehead against the cool surface.

 

“Elisha, again?”

 

I bang my forehead against the counter and mumble, “shoot me.” After a moment, I look up and stare over at the sink, eyeing all the dirty plates and the pan and the bowl I use, and then I look at Justin. He’s staring at me. Hell no, I cooked, I ain’t about to do your dishes for you. I know he’s going to ask. He really is a lazy fuck sometimes.

 

“So uh, what you got planned for tonight?” He says, looking at his bottle. Not cleaning up your fucking dishes that’s for damn sure.

 

It’s funny after knowing each other for 25 years and being best friends for, shit, I don’t know, 23 of those years he still pulls this. He still never comes out and tells me what he really wants sometimes. Still plays it coy, beats around the bush. It’s hilarious really, but I guess I’ve always been the more blunt one of the two of us. It’s kind of weird. He’s the quiet one, I’m rowdy, unless we get drunk and the roles reverse. Most people think he’s the calm one, but I’m more laid back and I keep it all in line, and when he’s stressed out or if something is bothering him, watch out cause he’ll knock you down to make everything right again. “What the fuck do you want?”

 

“Nothing, why?”

 

I shake my head and say again, “Justin, what the fuck do you want?”

 

“I don’t know.” He shrugs and doesn’t look at me. Something’s up. He still wants something. Bastard. “I just figured maybe you’d want to go out.”

 

“Where you wanna go?” He’s being weird and I’m pretty damn sure that’s not what he’s trying to get at.

 

“Well no, I wanna stay in, but I know that Marty’s been wanting to hit up the clubs. Christa broke up with him so…”

 

Shit. I know he means well. I know he’s just looking out for me but that fucking hurts. If he wants to spend some time with his girl he should fucking say so. We’ve always told each other we’d never cock-block unless it was serious and him trying to pull out this you need to get out and hook up with hot chicks shit to get me out of the house, then that’s fucking ridiculous. “So the two loners should go out right?”

 

“That’s not what I mean.”

 

“Yeah it is.” I shake my head. I think Meredith’s getting to him too much. He’s trying to be a problem solver, and he was never good at solving…anything. “Why don’t the three of us go out? It’ll be the shit. I promise we won’t take you to a strip bar and get you in trouble.”

 

“Mere’s here. I can’t just leave her.”

 

I knew that would be his answer. I shouldn’t have even brought it up. “You’ve been hanging out with her all day, hell all week.”

 

“Dude…” He looks over into the den and I do, too. All I see are a little pair of socked feet up against the arm of the small couch that’s in the den, toes wiggling to some music that’s playing on the TV. “She wants to go swimming.”

 

“Then go swimming! I’m not stopping you.”

 

He looks over at her again and comes around the counter to where I’m sitting at one of the stools. He sits beside me and talks in a hushed tone, “But I think she wants to go naked.”

 

I laugh. It’s funny. Justin and I can be raunchy. We’re guys. We can sit here and talk about tits and pussy and fine asses and the best blow jobs we’ve ever gotten for hours. But he can only do it if we’re completely alone. If there’s even another person in the same house, upstairs asleep, or out in the yard, he gets quiet about it, shy almost. He’s super private about everything. He has good reason. And like I said I was always the blunt asshole of the two of us. “And what makes you think this?”

 

“I don’t know…” He must be terrified of her hearing him talk about their sex life ‘cause he keeps looking over at the den. “She keeps talking about how it’s hot and how a swim would be nice and then she started talking about how she didn’t wanna have to go home and get her bathing suit and how she’s never skinny dipped before and…and…” A grin comes over his face. “She’s giving me the look, man.”

 

I laugh. “The ‘fuck me or I’ll kill you’ look?”

 

“Well kind of but,” He frowns for a minute. “We ain’t into that yet.”

 

“The other day you were bragging about how you were gonna get into her shit soon.”

 

“Well, she went to the doctor yesterday morning and she has to wait like a week for the pills to kick in. Or something.” He laughs for a moment and drinks from his bottle. I’m assuming the other one he got was for her ‘cause he hasn’t handed it to me. It’s still on the other side of the counter, sitting there. Plus, if he’s about to kick me out I don’t need to be drinking any more. Unless of course I just go home. “She’s got it all planned out.”

 

“Well if she changes her mind I got some condoms in the house if you need ‘em.”

 

“I got some upstairs.”

 

I laugh, remembering a few months ago how Justin came over to my house to brag about how crazy the girl he was fucking at that time was in bed. “Oh right, those neon green apple flavored ones Jocelyn brought over.”

 

“Shut up!” He narrows his eyes at me. If I remember right, I think it was when he came over to tell me that and show me one of the unused packages of condoms, he was so amazed they were neon and flavored, it was then when I told him about Meredith. I had met her the night before. At the time he had shrugged and said “sure, I’ll tell Johnny to set up a day at the studio or something. She’s hot.”

 

A few days later we were at the studio, it was late at night, she had just left to go home and he was smiling, rocking back and forth in the chair by the controls. “I think I’m gonna dedicate this whole week to that girl, she’s got something special.”

 

God, they could be on a chick movie. It’s sick really.

 

And sicker that I’m fucking jealous of it.

 

“Hey…” I nudge him and look at him for a moment; he’s reading the back of the bottle and bobbing his head to some familiar but unheard beat in his head. He’s always doing that. Makes him look like a chicken. “We haven’t discussed this really, but…you guys getting real serious?” He laughs and makes some stupid face and continues to chicken bob. I knew it. I knew he’d try and dodge the question. Even with me, his best friend, Justin sometimes maneuvers his way out of answering questions, just like in interviews. I guess he feels like he has to play down love. He never was like this, but then he got burned and ever since it’s been all for fun and games. All about getting off, all about having fun.

 

It’s different this time and he knows it. And I know it. And I wanna get him to say it. “…like for real, Justin. Stop shitting around.”

 

“Yeah, I mean….I don’t know.” He sighs, stretches his back and grins, lifting his arms up over his head and yawning. “She’s fucking awesome, ya know?”

 

“She’s pretty hot.”

 

He lets his arms drop from over his head and sighs, “She’s fucking gorgeous. I don’t really want to fall for her. Like part of me is doing the whole ‘don’t go down that road’ thing, don’t go and give everything up and put it all into her and get fucked over.”

 

“But a girl like that won’t fuck you over, at least not intentionally….” I roll my eyes when he doesn’t say anything. “It’s pretty damn obvious she’s in love with you, Justin.”

 

“You think?” He seems excited. And shocked. Idiot.

 

“No, I just said that to get your balls in a knot.”

 

He sighs and I look to see him staring at her still wiggling toes. “I hope so.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Makes it easier. Makes me not have to worry about giving in so much.” It’s that type of attitude that got him in trouble in Miami. And its that type of attitude, that scared, holding back attitude, that distance he’s trying to maintain that’s gonna push her away in the end. And then he’ll be more miserable than me and I’ll have to deal with it. And Justin miserable over a girl is probably the most pathetic thing in the world.

 

It’s sad.

 

“You guys will be alright. It’s just started, man. Just cherish it. This is when it’s fun, ya know? Don’t be worrying about shit that might not even happen.”

 

I find it funny, when he was with Britney he was always the one giving me advice on chicks and now, now that I’ve been engaged and burned here I am doing the same thing to him. He was always more mature than me, until it all went down and he got a little too cocky for his own good. I settled down and he went rampant, hooking up with any girl that held his interest more than a minute. And I guess I’ve grown up in the process.

 

It sucks.

 

“Yeah…I just, we’ve both been fucked over…and not by bitches Trace, by good girls, awesome girls. I don’t want it happening again. ”

 

I shake my head. “But we’ve also fucked over some girls along the way, too.”

 

“I guess so.”

 

I slide off the barstool and go over to the sink. I rinse out my beer bottle and open the cabinet under the sink to toss my bottle into the recycling box there. “Just stop worrying about it.” I laugh and try to get his mind off everything. He’s got that look, that thinking Justin look. It can be dangerous. “The pool cleaner guy is coming Friday, anyway. So go fuck up that shit. Get nasty with it!”

 

He chuckles and reaches for the beer that’s been sitting there open, getting warm. “Pervert.”

 

I walk into the den and lean over the couch to find Meredith there, watching tv, hanging her arm off the other end and letting Buckley, who’s laying under the coffee table, lick her fingers. She holds up her other one and I smack it. “Hey girl, I’m peacein’ out.”

 

She pouts. “Where you goin’?”

 

“See if a buddy of mine wants to go out for a beer.”

 

“Aww, ok. Thanks for making us empanadas!” She smiles at me and for a moment I wonder what would have happened if I hadn’t introduced her and Justin. If maybe I had bought her a drink that night, asked her to dance or asked her out another night. Shit, she’d probably date me for a couple times and then meet Justin and nothing would be different. Except things would be a hell of a lot more awkward.

 

Plus, not that Meredith’s dumb, she’s a pretty smart girl, but she’s not really an intellectual girl and that shit turns me on more than anything. Elisha was smart as hell and it was the one thing that attracted me to her. She could sit there and have a conversation about anything. She was deep and silly at the same time. Love the girl to death but Mere seems to pretty much just be silly and she seems to let other people control her. I like a girl in charge.

 

I don’t know. I’m probably wrong.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow, ok?” She sits up and Justin comes over and hands her her beer and sits down on the couch beside her.

 

I go and grab my keys from where they were laying on the table by the recliner and ask her, “Tomorrow?”

 

“Yeah, for my video shoot. The one starring me and Mr. Timberlake here.” She rubs his back for a moment and smiles at him and then turns her eyes to me and starts to grin. It’s a mysterious, troublemaking smile. It makes me uncomfortable. I start to feel weird in my stomach. “You’ll get to see Courtney…”

 

I gulp.

 

Shit. “Yeah…” I wave to them and march out of there calling, “bye guys” before shutting the door behind me and sighing. Why did she have to mention that name? Why the fuck did she have to bring that girl up?

 

I slam my car door and take a breath before turning around and heading out of Justin’s drive way. I had done a damn good job of forgetting about her, blocking her from my mind, and then she had to be brought up. It’s not really that I’m ashamed of it, but it’s embarrassing that I have a mini non-significant kinda thing for khakis girl. Like, I think I just wanna do her cause I wanna see what she’s like. It’s probably just because she’s the only female I’ve been around for an extended period of time that hasn’t been taken. Maybe she is taken, I hope so. That’d make things a hell of a lot easier.

 

She gets under my skin and I hate that.

 

Elisha got under my skin.

 

But in a different way. Elisha wouldn’t get on my nerves. She’d just make me want more and more and more of her. I wanted to know more and see more and be around her more. With Courtney she gets under my skin and I want her to go away and then I want her to come back ‘cause being away form her is worse than being with her. ‘Cause I mean, she is female company.

 

And there ain’t nothing in the world better than female company.

 

But she’s so fucking uptight. I mean yeah, she’s loosened up a bit, but still. I kept trying to give her a second chance ya know, thinking maybe she’s just a little on edge cause she doesn’t know us that well and she’s new to all this but man, I don’t know. Last time I saw her was at Meredith’s house, when we caught them fucking around on the couch. She acted all disgusted by it. Please…it wasn’t like they were doin’ it doggy style on the front porch! And then she got an attitude when we were moving around stuff.

 

We got Mere’s whole house set up and Court and Justin just kept sending daggers to each other and it was stupid. Meredith even noticed and asked her about it. I lied and said something about Justin getting his period. And she kept being short with me. I’d ask her to help me with something and she’d glare, “I’m busy! Hold on.”

 

I dropped her off at her place that night and she barely said bye to me before slamming the door and walking up the steps. She lives pretty close by, right on the corner of an intersection I go to a lot. Right…here actually.

 

Fucking great. I haven’t even called Marty yet and I’m driving around like an idiot and where do I land, smack in front of her condo.

 

Ya know what? This might be entertaining. What the hell? I’m doing it!

 

I turn on my blinker, swerve left and pull into the parking lot. This is a mistake. What the hell am I thinking? This is ridiculous. I should just call Marty or go home.

 

Yeah, I’ll just go home. I think they’re having a Godfather marathon on SpikeTV and I can drink some whiskey and get pissed faced and quote my favorite movie and pass out. It’ll be great. Fucking wonderful.

 

“Excuse me…” I sigh, look at the receptionists name tag and smile. She looks young, cute, blonde, nice tits. Maybe I should just ask her out on a date. Shit, there’s a ring. Never mind. “Karen…I was wondering if you could help me.”

 

I’m such a pathetic loser.

 

“What can I do for you sir?”

 

I smirk. “It’s Trace, and my friend lives here, but I don’t know which apartment number. She just moved here a week or two ago.”

 

“What’s the name?” She turns to her computer and pulls something up.

 

“Courtney Dawson.” She types the name in. Isn’t this illegal? This is going by much easier than I thought. A part of me prays she’ll tell me she cant disclose any information.

 

She eyes me for a moment and smiles, “Friend, eh?”

 

I laugh and smile. “You caught me. I’m a male escort.” She cackles a laugh and snorts. Yeah…good thing I skipped out on asking her on a date.

 

“214 is her number.” She smiles at me and winks. “Mr. Trace do you have a card or something incase another resident might want your services.”

 

I suck in a breath. Is she flirting with me? Yeah I think she is. Bitch, you got a ring on your finger. I pass her a tight grin. “I’ll have to work on that. Thanks for the number.” I turn, march to the steps, bypassing the elevator so I don’t have to stand there, wait for it, and have her look at me all weird.

 

It takes entirely too short of a time to get to her apartment. This condo is pretty nice. Reminds me of a place I stayed at when I first moved out here, when Justin and Britney were living together. Shit, I just knocked on the door.

 

I could run for it. I mean, I’d be a pussy, but I could do it. Could save my skin. No one would know but that stupid Karen lady. She’d probably see Courtney and be like “there was a Trace here looking for you.” And then I’d be in shit.

 

The door cracks open and I suck in a breath about to make an excuse as to why I’m there, something lame, something that’ll get me off the hook and make me not look desperate.

 

She swings open the door the rest of the way and takes a deep breath and stares. “Oh…hey.”

 

I gulp. “Hi.”

 

She’s sweaty and wearing just a sports bra and spandex pants that look like they were painted on her. Miss khakis is fit, miss khakis has curves, miss khakis is sexy.

 

Miss khakis is fucking dangerous.

 

Shit, what was that excuse?

 

“What are you doing here?” She turns, leaves the door open and walks back into her apartment. I guess that’s an invitation inside. She didn’t say come in, but she didn’t tell me to leave either.

 

I step inside and close the door behind me. She doesn’t look at me, just turns off her TV that had some work out video on it and pushes a mat and some weights she had out into a corner. She pushes her coffee table back in front of her TV and rearranges a few things. Her place is cute, spacious, kind of reminds me of one of the Friends apartments. Lots of oriental inspired decorations, but it doesn’t look cluttered. It looks interesting, and completely not like how I pictured khakis pants land. She said the place came with furniture, but she sure has made this place her own, adding pillows and curtains and pictures. I know I sound gay but I’ve always had this design streak in me. It’s a cool place.

 

“Uh, Trace?”

 

I jump and look up at her, she’s wiping a towel over her neck and her chest. “Huh?”

 

“I asked you a question.”

 

Shit, I saw a porno like this once. But it was with a pizza boy and a dominatrix. It was hot. Shit, she’s hot. Shit, look away man, look away! I stare at her refrigerator and fumble with my hands behind my back. I’m a full blown idiot. “Huh, ohhh right. Well, um, I don’t know. Just in the neighborhood.”

 

“Bull shit, what’s up?” She comes over to me and sucks on a bottle of water. Not sucks, drinks, drinks!! I wipe my forehead. I think I need to borrow her towel. “Did something happen?”

 

“No, no.” I gulp and figure I need to sit down. My mind has just been blown. I knew khakis could be hot. I mean I saw her in a bathing suit, of course it covered everything and she had this little skirt thing, but she was still hot. And I saw her all dressed up at the club and when we were in Miami. And other times when we were at the beach she would wear these little shorts and this tank and it was hot as shit. But I didn’t realize this, this woman had this body. I sigh and sit down at one of her chairs at a little glass table she has near her kitchen. “This isn’t about Meredith or Justin or anything. I just figured I’d stop by and see how you were, since I haven’t seen you in a bit. You were weird the other day.”

 

Nice cover. Kind of.

 

“Oh…” She sighs and sits down on the edge of her couch and looks at me. “Sorry, I wasn’t in a good mood.”

 

Good, actual conversation starting, not just me staring at her nipples, not to me salivating. Ok, ya know. This is pathetic. I must just need to get laid. I bet Jocelyn would do me. I know she was all about Justin but she was kind of a hoe. I could probably tell her Justin was asking about her and get her drunk and fuck her.

 

Ok that’s shitty. Plus Jocelyn wasn’t as hot as this. “You seemed fine that morning when we went to get food, then when we got to Meredith’s you turned into Miss Bitch.”

 

She glares at me and I know I deserve it, but I guess I kind of want to make her mad. I want her to kick me out. “I told you never to call me that again.”

 

“Well it’s the truth, you know it.”

 

She smiles. Why the hell is she smiling? She’s supposed to kick me out, tell me I’m an asshole that is disrespectful to women so I can hate her again. So I can stop wanting her.

 

Shit, I want her. I fucking want her.

 

I mean I don’t like her. I don’t wanna be like all mushy with her and cuddle and tell her I want her to have my babies. But I want her. I want her under me, above me, around me, on me…

 

God, what the fuck!!! Stop it you fucking idiot! I need a gun. I need to shoot myself. This…I’m supposed to control myself. I’m supposed to not be wanting to bang the khakis girl, the uptight bitchy snotty ‘I’m better than you’ girl that makes me feel like shit sometimes. I’m not supposed to want her.

 

This isn’t fair. I should have never pulled that label off my beer.

 

“You hungry?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I’m gonna make dinner, do you want some?”

 

No, I just ate. No thanks, you cook yourself something and I’ll get out of your way. Nice seeing you, Court. Have a good life. I’m gonna go jerk off now by myself. That’s better than being here staring at you. I gotta go get drunk with my friend or by myself. Bye!

 

“Oh yeah, sure. I’d love some.” I sigh.

 

She smiles, opens her fridge and hands me a beer. She drinks beer?! This is a joke right? I watch her move through the kitchen and apartment into a room which I assume is her bedroom. I’m curious, I wanna know what it looks like, if her mattress is soft or hard, if she has stuff animals or mirrors on the ceiling. But I just sit here, watch her walk away and then watch her walk back in with an oversized t-shirt covering up much of herself. That sucks.

 

I don’t know what she’s making but it smells fucking fantastic. I wish I hadn’t eaten those empanadas. We talk about what she’s been up to. I ask her where she’s from. She says Chicago, but moved to New York after high school and worked her way up in a small marketing firm for up and coming music artist. They have a partnership with BMG but she said about a year ago she got tired of it and wanted to get into assistantship, something she always wanted to do. We talk about the video tomorrow and what time we are getting there. I pick on her workout outfit. She laughs at me and says she was doing Pilates. I make fun of her some more and she just laughs and laughs.

 

Her laugh gets under my skin, makes me warm…and scared.

 

For a while it’s quiet, just the sounds of her messing around her kitchen. I watch her wondering if maybe the uptight front she’s been putting on at work was just that, a front. This Courtney is the same and yet very different. She’s at ease, relaxed with herself and with me. She’s in control, she knows what to do. And she’s smiling and laughing and I think she’s having a good time.

 

With me.

 

And shit, she can cook. I don’t know what it is but it’s good. It’s like chicken and noodles and some vegetables. Justin always told me, if the girl is hot and can cook, keep her, no matter what. But shit, I don’t even know if Courtney wants me to begin with. And what am I talking about? I don’t want her. I mean I want her, like sex want her, but not as a girlfriend.

 

That’s actually hilarious.

 

Me and Courtney dating? Ha! I look up at her and she’s staring at me. Ok, so maybe it’s just slightly humorous.

 

“Like it?” She’s drinking wine again.

 

I nod. “It’s fantastic. I didn’t know you could cook.”

 

She laughs, puts down her fork and leans back in her chair. “There’s a lot you don’t know about me, not to sound completely cliché.” She takes a long sip, closing her eyes. “You don’t really know me that well, Trace.”

 

“Then tell me something.” I smirk at her and she just stares at me for a moment, licks her lip and then pushes her chair back.

 

“Go sit on the couch, I’ll be there in a second.”

 

I stare at her. I know those eyes. They are the same eyes Justin was talking about earlier, the ‘fuck me or I’ll kill you’ eyes. Ok, I gotta think about this. Maybe she doesn’t want me, maybe she’s just confused or maybe I’ve completely lost it. But if she does…oh if she does…

 

What do I do?

 

Like, do I fuck her? And it’ll be great and wonderful and it’ll loosen her up and make her happy. Maybe she just needs to get laid. Or do I fuck her? And it’s awkward and she wants to actually be with me and falls in love with me and I’m not ready to give into that. Or do I fuck her? And fall for her and she laughs in my face.

 

Or do I fuck her? And it ends up making this entire situation horrible, makes her hate me, makes me hate her. Makes us just more miserable around each other than we already are.

 

But well, tonight hasn’t been miserable. It’s been nice, enjoyable. She cuts a light off and I see her coming into the den with a glass of water in her hands. She perches herself on the opposite end of the couch, pulls a pillow from behind her and holds it while she takes a nice gulp from her water.

 

“So…”

 

My hands are sweaty. Shit, why am I nervous? I feel like I’m in middle school again and Mary Ann Laurence just kissed me under the bleachers and then told all her friends that I bit her lip and that I kiss like a dog. But I haven’t kissed Courtney, yet. So she can’t go tell all her friends that I’m a dog kisser.

 

I want to. I want to kiss her.

 

I set my beer down on the end table and lick my lips. “So, um…” I laugh a little and scoot closer to her. “We need to talk.”

 

“What about?”

 

I rub my head and look at the table before turning my head to look at her. “About you making me dinner, about you licking your lips just now, about you turning out every light but the lamp over by the window.”

 

She shakes her head, “What are…”

 

“Do you want me, Courtney?”

 

She gulps and I stare at her. A little shocked look comes across her face. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. She takes in a breath and then it all washes away. The desire in her eyes, the shocked look on her face, it all fades. She narrows her eyes and tightens her mouth.

 

“You would…”

 

Fuck it. I kiss her. I don’t want her to turn me down and dammit if I not curious. And the best part, she kisses me back.

 

She kisses me…me back. She grabs onto my shirt. At first I think she’s gonna push me away but she just pulls me closer, so I’m leaning on her. She opens her mouth and surges her tongue against mine. Shit girl, if you had just said so earlier we would have cut the bull shit and just gone straight to it. She runs her hands over my shoulders and across my back and pushes me against her body Man, she can kiss. She’s getting me hard just off kisses. I hope, I hope she wants this. Even if she doesn’t wanna fuck, I’m happy with just laying and kissing.

 

But if she does wanna fuck….

 

She pulls back for a moment and I smile and open my eyes. She’s staring at me. “Shit, Courtney. You got me wanting you bad.”

 

Her hands run over my shoulders again and fist them in my shirt again. I smile. Damn does she want it!

 

“Get the fuck off me.”

 

“What!” What. What?!

 

WHAT?

 

Oh hell no. Oh hell no. Do not tell me she just went psycho bitch on me. I stare at her, my mouth open from where she pushed me to the other end of the couch. She jumps up and starts to pace. Bitch is nuts. Fucking nuts!

 

“Get…” She shakes her head and pulls at her hair. “Just get out Trace.”

 

She’s not mad at me. She’s mad at herself. I smile and shake my head. “Oh hell no. I just kissed you and you kissed me back and you fucking wanted it Courtney. You were practically begging me.”

 

Ok that was the wrong thing to say. She glares at me and grips her fist. “Ohhhh really? You think you’re that great, huh? Yeah right. You just took advantage of me, so get the fuck out.” She screams, like, girl is screaming at me and pointing at her door. This isn’t just her yelling and pissed off. She’s furious

 

It pisses me off. No, it infuriates me. This girl is nuts. Like, who in their right mind would act like this? Grow up bitch! Learn to deal with shit head on instead of running from it. She’s just a fucking little girl with stupid problems she can’t get over. That’s all it is. She’s not even worth my time.

 

“Fine….” I storm to the door and swing it open. “I fucking will! Thanks for dinner…” She flips me off. Oh, that was mature! “You’re just a tightass cocktease, aren’t you?”

 

She storms towards me. What’s she gonna do? Pilates me to death? “What did you call me?”

 

I scoff at her. She disgusts me. And she’s not that hot either. She’s just got a nice body. It’s not even that nice. I’ve seen better. And she’s got ugly socks on. Yeah, they’re ugly, and so’s her little spandex pants with the stripe down the side. Ok, miss 19-fucking 82 with her spandex and khakis. Bitch. “You heard me you fucking-“

 

The door is slammed in my face. The sound echoes in my ears.

 

Fuck.
Chapter 13 by Mere

Lot 14 outside of Studio B, 2:22 p.m.

 

I don’t want to kiss him. I don’t want to at all. And I won’t, I swear I won’t do this. It’s wrong and I don’t feel comfortable and it’s...it’s not right. I look at Shanda and she rubs my shoulder for a moment before teasing my hair some more. It’s huge. Poofy and frizzy and I don’t really like it, but it’ll look good for the crazy dance number I have to do. I’ll do the dance, I’ll hold his hand, I’ll even grind with him in the club scene and I’ll get close to him. But I’m not going to kiss him. I…I can’t. A month ago it wouldn’t have been a problem but now it’s not just me anymore.

 

And no matter how attractive Victor is I’m not going to kiss him. I don’t care if he is super hot and has a cute Russian accent. And I don’t care if it’s good for the single, good for my career, good for the rumors. It’s cheating and I’m not going to have Justin walk on set and see me making out with another guy. Even if it is just “work.”

 

“Ya know, you’re being ridiculous.”

 

I look through the mirror, trying not to stare at myself and the ridiculous hairdo that Shanda is giving me. I have my first sequence coming up for the shoot today, but this hair is just horrendous when I’m forced to stare at myself in the mirror. I wish Megan was here, she’d laugh at me and keep my mind off things. I look at Courtney. She’s sitting on the couch behind the chair I’m in, looking at her palm pilot, trying to pretend that she’s not paying attention.

 

But she’s hanging on every word. I know it. And I wish she could help me right now.

 

The woman that’s standing near her, staring at me with a scowl through the mirror is my manager. She was the first person in the business to believe in me. She helped to discover me and she’s pulled me through my career to this point. But she’s also been one of the ones to tell me what to do, where to go, how to act and while I know I need to sell records I also need to be myself and stick up for the things that matter to me. It’s weird, too. I’ve never seen her this distraught and upset.

 

“How so!”

 

“This is nothing Meredith. If you’re gonna throw a tantrum about this, then what’s gonna happen later on when something more major than kissing some man in your video is thrown your way. I can’t believe you sometimes.”

 

And while I guess I am being ridiculous and throwing a tantrum, I don’t care. I’m not kissing this guy. And she can’t make me. I’m not a five year old! I’m almost twenty-four and I know what I want and I know what I don’t want. I don’t care if it’ll be great for the video and if it’s what everyone had planned, why can’t I change this one little detail. I really don’t see what the huge deal is. And the fact that she’s blowing it up, makes me blow up.

 

“And you’re not my mother! And you’re not my boss! It’s about time I start making some of my own damn decisions!”

 

She glares at me. “I’m your manager.”

 

I wave Shanda’s hands away from my hair and hear her sigh. I know I’m pissing her off and I’m truly sorry about that. She’s just doing her job and my fight with Angie is not letting her do that. She’s never had a lot of patience with Angie and hasn’t seemed too impressed with Courtney, but me and her click, we get along and I hate it when I’m the one doing something to make her angry. But I have to deal with this now, or it’ll never get resolved.

 

I swirl around in the chair and point at the woman standing there in nice dress slacks and a pink blouse. “So how would you, manager, feel if you had to kiss some guy for work and Eric walked in and you were like, ‘oh honey its just for work.’”

 

She rolls her eyes and throws her hands up. “You can’t even make that comparison. It’s not my job to do this music video. It’s not my job to sell a product, to sell myself, Meredith.” She reaches over and picks up the one of the five magazines she had brought with her and stacked on the end table by the small, lumpy green couch. It’s Star and it has a picture of Justin and I walking with each other into that breakfast café in the keys. We’re not even holding hands, and he’s a little in front of me, and I happen to look like I’m frowning and covering up my stomach and the words “Baby Season” are written above my head. I kind of find it funny. “I brought you this stack of magazines so you can see what this kind of relationship is gonna do to you and your reputation. Pictures of you guys in Miami taking a walk, you guys out and about in LA eating lunch. It’s all over the place, can you handle that? Really? Honestly Meredith. Can you handle stuff like this,” She opens one of the magazines and flips for a second and then shows a spread that seems to have tracked Justin and I’s previous relationships. “‘Is that a baby bump or is she just gaining weight,’” she reads.

 

I lean back in the chair and cross my arms over my chest. “It’s shit Angie. I know that. And most Americans know that tabloids are shit. You think I haven’t been through enough crappy press to be able to handle this!”

 

My stomach hurts. I don’t know if its nerves or anxiety or that cereal I had this morning. Maybe Justin’s milk was bad or something. Maybe it’s because I’ve never been in this situation before. Before there was nothing that I had to hide or block. If they wanted me to do something I was usually ok with it. They never pushed me into a photo shoot I felt completely uncomfortable with or any other situation. Nervous maybe, but not uncomfortable. I might have not liked some of the stuff I did but I didn’t complain. But now, now it’s not just me. There’s him and yeah, so what if we’ve only been dating for a few weeks! And I don’t care if that’s not technically long enough to matter, to make me wanna change. But I’ve wanted to change for a while. Shit, there’s been shoots I didn’t want to do because the photographer was creepy or the idea was stupid. Like that one with me blowing bubbles and licking ice cream like a fucking eight year old that I had to do about six months ago. I hated that, but I did it anyway. And I didn’t complain.

 

But now I wanna make my own decisions. And kissing Victor, nice and cute guy that he is, is something I know in my heart I don’t want to do. I know Justin will say he doesn’t care, that it’s just the business. But I know he won’t like it. So I don’t see why I have to. I’ll do everything else they ask, just not that.

 

“Kissing him will make this die down.” She doesn’t have to explain what she means. I’ve been lectured this whole day, ever since she showed up on the set three hours ago as a surprise. I know what “this” is. I know why she wants “this” to die down. And I know that she’s not happy with “this.” Well she’s going to have to get over it,’ cause “this” is going to be showing up soon. “I shouldn’t have agreed to the labels request of having him be in this video with you, but they told me his people were already excited about it and that it’d be great for the single.”

 

“And it will be.”

 

“It’ll be tabloid headlines.”

 

I shake my head. She’s normally cooler than this. Sure, ever since the shit came out in US Weekly with me and Megan it’s been weird for her. She’s been stressed out, restless, and little things tick her off. But that’s because she’s had to pull in overtime at work just for me, just to fix all my mess. Suddenly she had to start making up explanations for everything I did. I appreciate everything Angie does for me, but yelling at me for having a boyfriend is pathetic and immature and it’s not worth her time. “It’ll be something we can work on together. Please Angie, why are you being so cold about all this?”

 

“Because I’m worried about you Meredith.”

 

I scoff and smack my hands down on the arm of the chair. That pisses me off! Courtney jumps and stares at me. I don’t pay attention to her. She’s been weird all morning, jumpy. Maybe she’s getting her period again. “What’s to worry about!?”

 

“You’re losing your focus!”

 

“Oh really?” I laugh. I can’t believe some of the shit she’s saying to me. When she called me in New York, all pissed at Courtney, I fucking told her Justin and I were going to start seeing each other. She didn’t say much, just ‘oh ok’ and then hung up soon after. What the hell is going on with her? Is she jealous ‘cause my boyfriend is hot and hers has a busted face?! Probably.

 

Ok, I admit that’s kind of a pathetic thing to think.

 

“He’s pulling you away from where you need to be most right now.”

 

But not as pathetic as the bull shit she’s saying to me.

 

“This is shit!” I stand up and clench my fist. I hate getting this angry and I try not to let stuff like this bother me, but today I just can’t fucking handle it. I turn to Courtney, “Isn’t it, Court?” She just widens her eyes and stares at me. “Never mind…” I don’t need to drag her into this. That’s the last thing I need. Angie already blessed her out this morning for being a little late to the shoot. It was my fault and I told Angie that, but she somehow blamed it on Courtney. And Courtney got my coffee wrong this morning too when she picked me up from Justin’s. In the almost month that I’ve known her she’s never once got that wrong. I don’t really care, I can drink it black. I don’t need creamer though I prefer that, but…it’s just not like her to mess up little things like that. And she’s been quiet and staring off into space.

 

I wanted to ask her what was wrong. But I haven’t had the chance with Angie lecturing me.

 

“What do you need?”

 

I shake my head at her and wave my hand. Yeah, I think my assistant might need a day off, but damn she’s been off for the past four days. Weird. “Nothing, sorry…”

 

“Guys, let’s all take a breath.” I look at Shanda and she’s moving her eyes between all of us and waving a hair brush around. She turns the chair towards me and I step over to it and plop down. Yeah, so I’m pouting. “Marc is gonna be back soon wanting to know an answer and ya’ll need to come to some agreement.” She’s right, as always and I look at her and silently tell her thanks for being the voice of reason in all of this. Marc, the director, will be back and he’ll need to know what I want to do.

 

I even told him I didn’t want to kiss Victor and he said that was cool with him, but then Angie stepped her foot in. He said he had no problem as long as I didn’t have a problem giving a tease at the end and leaning in like I was going to kiss him. I like Marc, I’ve worked with him before and he’s an awesome and very easy going guy. And I don’t see why if he doesn’t have a problem with it, since he came up with the video idea, that it should be this big fight that it’s become.

 

“I’m not doing a damn thing until he gets here.” I glare at Angie. And I’m not. I’m gonna wait and I’m going to let him decide for us ‘cause I know he’ll fucking take my side over hers. She’s being absolutely, horribly unreasonable.

 

“You’re impossible, you know that!”

 

I stare at her and she stares back at me. So I guess we’re acting like we’re in high school and I just found out she has the same prom dress as me. But I’m serious here. I don’t see why she can’t just listen to me instead of bossing me around. I continue to stare at her and say, “Courtney, when are they scheduled-“

 

“Three.” She cuts me off and I laugh a little and purse my lips.

 

“Then I guess we’ll have to wait.” ‘Cause I tell you, I don’t care how long that is. I’m waiting ‘til Justin gets here, and I’m talking to him about this before I make any other decisions. That’s only fair and she has to grant me that.

 

“What the hell has he done to you? You use to not be this stubborn.”

 

I’m not gonna cry. ‘Cause that’s just stupid, but she’s making me really upset. What has he done to me? I’ll tell you what he’s done to me. He’s made me feel incredible, made me feel special, like I’m worth something, like I’m more than just an ok singer that happens to be a little famous. He makes me feel like I mean something. He makes me happy. He’s made me a little more confident, a little more sure of my self and a little more secure. That’s what he’s done.

 

Wow, what a fucking crime.

 

“I use to let you guys tell me what to do, where to stand, how to act, when to smile. Dammit, Angie! I wanna do this myself this time. I wanna make some fucking decisions myself! I’m not your fucking little puppet!”

 

It started out calm but by the time I finish I realize I’m yelling and I feel Shanda’s hands on my shoulders, rubbing a little and whistling under her breath a little. Angie just stares at me. I take a breath and cross my arms over my chest and look away. Ok, so maybe I’m going to cry now. Shit, don’t fucking cry, don’t pull out this girly weak shit Meredith.

 

“Excuse me, ladies…” I gasp and look up over to the door, sunlight streams in and I see Trace leaning in with his sunglasses over his eyes and a weird expression on his face. “Are you guys, ok?”

 

I take in a breath and then I see the door swing open and smack against the wall of the trailer. I let out the breath slowly and smile as Trace steps out of the way and I see him, him there, moving his sunglasses on top of his head, the sunlight now being blocked by whoever is behind him, I think its Tiny.

 

His presence is like some policeman just busted up in here to save me. He stares at me and then at everyone else in the room before licking his lips and saying in a low, pissed off tone, “What the hell is going on in here?”

 

I push myself off the chair and whisper, “You’re here,” before running to him. Yes, I admit it, I run to him. I run and I put my arms around him and hug him tightly. I close my eyes and breathe in deep. He smells good and his t-shirt is so soft and he’s so strong and solid and he makes me immediately feel like I’m at home, like I’m at ease.

 

I look up at him for a moment and he looks down at me, concern in his deep eyes, worry all over his face. “What’s going on?” His voice is still low, but soft this time. He rubs my back and brushes under my eye with his thumb.

 

I pull Justin back from the door and keep holding onto him. I see his bodyguard there and smile, “Hey Tiny, Teddy went to make a phone call…” I take a breath. What I’m about to say is bold and gonna piss off some people but I need to be alone with my man, and it won’t happen unless someone makes them leave. “Will you kick them all out?” I laugh a little trying to calm myself.

 

Shanda laughs, pushes past me and smacks on her pack of Camels. She mumbles something that sounds like ‘good luck’ to me.

 

“Meredith don’t you dare…” I whip around and glare at Angie.

 

“Angie dammit, please! I’m begging you right now, just give me a few minutes.”

 

“What is with you today?”

 

“Just…go!” I see Tiny standing there, holding the door and ushering them out. Courtney doesn’t look at me or Justin or Trace and they all leave. Angie is cussing under her breath as she passes me but soon Tiny has the door closed and it’s quiet and it’s just us, me and him, alone, like it’s supposed to be.

 

I hold onto the front of his shirt and just hang onto him as he holds me. He holds me tightly for a moment and then pulls back, grabbing onto my shoulders and bending down to look at me in the eyes.

 

“What the hell, baby? I could hear you guys all the way outside. There was a bit of a crowd.”

 

“Shit…” I didn’t realize we were being that loud. And now I can see it, tabloid reports that I’m horrible and a diva and evil and just great. This is the last thing I need today. Now the crew is going to all hate me and say stuff. “Shit shit shit!” I pull at my teased hair and walk further into the trailer, pacing to the end and turning back around.

 

“Meredith…”

 

I don’t look at him but walk back towards him as I pace. “They want me to kiss him.”

 

“What?”

 

I sigh and turn back and pace back again. “That model guy. You know how you were just gonna sit in the club and sing your part? Well they have this whole story line where I’m like with this one guy who’s bad and then I see this model guy they got named Victor and he’s so nice and so sweet, but they want me to like make out with him. Angie says it’s just a kiss, but it’s not Justin. Not to me. If I was single, I’d be fine with it. But I’m with you and it’s not fair!”

 

“Come here…” He walks past me and sits down on the couch there. It’s low to the ground and insanely uncomfortable and for a moment he looks too lanky and big for it. I just keep walking, though. I have to do something, I just can’t sit there and expect everything to be better. I…I just have to keep moving. I walk back and he reaches and grabs my wrist and then my hips and pulls me down. “Mere, come here.” It shocks me and pisses me off for just a moment but when I realize he’s holding me all the anger I’ve felt that day washes away. He pulls me into him and moves so he’s laying on the couch and I’m there lying on him. He kisses my forehead and then my lips for a moment. “Calm down.”

 

I do immediately and lean my head against his chest. He’s amazing. He’s like a drug that just soothes and cleanses and makes everything better. No, not a drug, he’s like a day at the spa! That’s what I need. Maybe Courtney and I will go in the next few days. I think she could use a spa day and maybe I’ll get the chance to talk about what’s been up with her. The past week has been fantastic for me and Justin. We’ve spent almost every day together and almost every night. We fit, ya know. We just click. I can tell he feels at ease with me and I feel the same with him. We’re comfortable around each other. I don’t feel like I’m with ‘Justin Timberlake’. I feel like I’m just with this great guy that makes me feel wonderful who I happen to be in love with.

 

It’s true. I’m in love with him now. There’s no going back. Last night proved that.

 

I sit up for a moment and resituate myself because his belt buckle is hurting my hip. I’m just in little gym shorts and a tee cause I know most of the clothes I wear for today will be horribly uncomfortable. I lie back down and look into his eyes. “I didn’t know Angie was going to be here today. She’s a good manager, but she makes me nervous ‘cause I feel like I have to be on point with her and I was so sleepy this morning.”

 

He frowns for a moment and runs his hand down my arm. “I kept you up too late last night.”

 

I shake my head. Never should he regret that. Last night, last night was something, beautiful I would call it. I was being a tease like normal and persuaded him to get in the pool with me. We had made out so much that week and fooled around a bit that I didn’t have a problem taking off my bra in front of him and he clearly didn’t have a problem either. We ended up naked, swimming around together at dusk. I don’t know. I guess it’s a little silly for me to get all worked up over seeing him naked and him getting to see me that way. He does have a nice body though. God, more than nice, like perfect and everything. It was a big step for us and, well it was nice and in my mind, so fucking romantic. It wasn’t like we were humping on the cement by the pool or furiously trying to get the other one off. In fact, we didn’t even try to do that. We just swam around and he let me hold onto his back and float around with him. We got in a splash war but I dunked him a little too fast and he got water in his nose so we stopped and I sat in front of him in the shallow in by the steps and we kissed. And then we got out.

 

We wrapped ourselves up in these huge towels he has and sat out on the deck and talked. He didn’t push, he didn’t ask for anything more than just my company. Something about that made me feel so good. I mean, I want to have sex with him badly, but it’s still a little hard for me to read him at times. And up until last night I was still a little unsure if all this was just a front he was putting on to get in my pants. But now I know where he stands. He wants me more than just for sex or because he thinks I look hot next to him. He actually likes me and likes talking to me and spending time with me. We talked about our families, about our pasts, about what we want in the future. We talked until three in the morning about how long we want to stay in the spotlight, if we want a family, if we want another type of career, what we want out of this relationship. I could tell he wasn’t sure if he loved me, or that if he was he was a little scared to tell me. But he did say he saw a future, a long one and, and he said that I’m the best thing that’s come his way in a long, long time.

 

We kissed, a lot. I know it wasn’t more than an hour but it seemed like longer. We kissed each other and we were naked except for the towel. He held on to my body. It was romantic and it was sexy and it was intimate. And, and I honestly can say that I haven’t ever really experienced that type of feeling, that type of intensity without having, ya know, sex. I don’t know, maybe that’s stupid. Maybe I’m getting too over my head. We slept beside each other naked and he didn’t push. Actually I think he was too tired to ask for anything more and so was I.

 

But last night was special. It made me realize how far I’d gone, how much I was in love.

 

And that’s why today has been such a pain. ‘Cause I’m not ready to put that love in question, not for anyone.

 

“No…I don’t regret that at all.” I kiss him. I kiss him deeply and pull away, happy that it makes him smile. “And Courtney was a mess this morning. I’ve never seen her so disorganized. Pretty much my damn hairdresser, Shanda, she’s kept everything together.”

 

He’s quiet for a moment and looks deep in thought. He licks his lips, sucks in a breath and says quietly, “You can kiss the guy. I mean I won’t like it, but I understand. It’s not gonna make us fight.”

 

I sigh and shake my head. I wish he could be the guy I kiss in the video. “But I don’t want to, Justin. I want to kiss you.”

 

His grin is lopsided and he pats my butt for a moment. “I’m right here.”

 

I laugh and shake my head at him. “On camera.”

 

“Kinky.” He wiggles his eyebrows and it makes me laugh. It’s amazing how five minutes ago I was stressed out, my heart was pumping and I was on the verge of screaming, and now I’m calm, relaxed, thinking about how taking a nap with him would be wonderful.

 

“No, I mean…we worked on this song together, it’s our little project and now we’re together and it just fits so right. It just seems wrong for me to be in a video making out with some random dude while you just sit on the sidelines. I just don’t see why I have to even kiss anyone, ya know? Why can’t I just dance?” He smiles at me and nods and I lean up to kiss him for a moment. I’m glad he understands. I was honestly afraid that he’d tell me it wasn’t a big deal, that I should just kiss the guy and stop pissing everyone off. But he didn’t say that, he seems to stand by me.

 

He’s staring at me, or rather staring off just a bit from my face. He reaches a hand up and he pats my head. He laughs, “What the hell is up with your hair?”

 

I pout and put my head down against his shoulder trying to pull the mess away from him. It’s kind of sticky from the gel and crap she put in it and it’s huge. Good thing my hair is pretty long already or instead of just having big hair I’d look like I have an afro. “I don’t know. I feel like a lion.”

 

“You look cute.”

 

“That’s the outfit I’m gonna wear.” I point to this thing hanging up on the rack in the corner. The trailer is small and thin, but it goes back a pretty far way. The outfit is this sequin scarf strap thing with tight hot pants. It’s skanky, but it’ll look hot in the video during my dance part. I need to go talk to Darrell about that one dance move and see if I should change it to the newer one we were talking about a few days ago when we met up for practice. He’s probably getting some hot extra’s number right now. Player.

 

“Damn.” He pushes himself up a bit and breathes out the word, staring at the cloth.

 

“I know. Isn’t it enough that I’m wearing practically just a scarf glued to certain parts of my body? They shouldn’t need a kiss. And I know I sound like a ten year old Justin with me whining about kissing some boy. But it’s not really just about that. It’s about for my whole damn career everyone has told me what to do. Told me to go to this interview, do this video this way, make this song this way. I mean I wrote a little on my new album but it was mainly just other people.”

 

He pulls me up against his body as he sits up now and says to me, “You wrote with me.”

 

I blush a little and say to him, “I never told you this, but that was the first time I ever wrote music. Like besides just little verses and melodies in my head or at home on the piano. I had never written it down or made something of it.”

 

“Really?”

 

I shrug. “I thought I sucked. And I think everyone else does, too. They just see a pretty face and a decent voice.”

 

“You’re voice is more than decent. And you’re beautiful.”

 

I stick my tongue out at him, “You have to say that, you’re my boyfriend.” He laughs and rolls his eyes at me. I sigh and move a little off him and he does the same, moving to sit up on the couch. His belt is really uncomfortable today. I’d ask him to take it off, but that might seem awkward if someone comes in. I put my legs in his lap and he runs his hands over them. “I’m just tired of doing what everyone else tells me to. I know they know more than me and know what’ll sell most. But, just this once I wanna step my foot down.”

 

“But you gotta be careful doing that, ok? I want you to branch out. I know you got talent, Mere. You wouldn’t be here if you didn’t. But these people do know what they are doing, and you step your foot down too much and they might not like it and they might turn their back.”

 

“I don’t wanna be controlled Justin.” I sigh and lean in and put my arms around his neck again. It just feels go good to do that. “I wanna be like you and just do whatever the hell I want.”

 

“Oh girl, they tell me what to do.” He laughs and I pull away and stick out my tongue.

 

“You just don’t listen.”

 

A grin forms on his lips. “Sometimes my ears get stopped up.”

 

I shake my head and touch his face. He didn’t shave this morning, lazy bum. His face is rough to the surface but he looks damn sexy. His sunglasses are still on his head and I pull them off and sit them down on top of the magazines there. I’m glad he hasn’t noticed them yet. “You make it all better.”

 

I kiss him deeply and he pulls away after a moment, laughing.

 

“Your hair is tripping me out.”

 

“Shut up!” I smack his shoulder.

 

A moment passes while I just watch him. He’s thinking and I pull away just a bit and give him a weird look. “I got an idea…” He says quickly and then sighs. “But I’m gonna have to run it by my people first.”

 

“You have people?”

 

He pinches my side lightly and smiles. “Yeah, oompa loompas.”

 

“I want one!”

 

“What if you kissed me?”

 

I smile at him, I don’t know what he means but I like the way his eyes are looking at me. “Right now?”

 

He sucks in a breath and whispers, “Yes…” I kiss him hard. Yeah, I’m trying to turn him on ‘cause Justin, well, he’s sexy all the time but when you get it in his brain and make him a little excited he’s…deadly. But he pulls away quickly, laughing a bit and he pushes himself up a smidge. “…and then what if you kissed me in your video. What if I was the good guy?”

 

I stare at him. He’s serious about this. He’s serious about being in my video, like not just a little bonus cameo. “I love it.” I sigh. “But what about Victor?”

 

He bites his lip and then says, “Can he play the bad guy? Who was the bad guy to begin with?”

 

“Well they weren’t really gonna show him. It’s just this big man in a suit. I seriously think they pulled one of the security cops around this lot into the shoot. They weren’t gonna show his face much. It was only gonna be one clip and then me and hottie Russian boy were supposed to dance and then run through this hallway and stairwell all hot and heavy and then make out at the end. I don’t remember it all. I blocked out after they said, “then you two make out.”

 

He grins at me again and slides down a bit so that I’m hovering above him. He runs his hands over my sides and to my hips. “Would you mind kissing me on camera?”

 

I pout at him and lean my body against him in all the right places just to see what he’d do. “You wanna make a sex tape and sell it, don’t you?”

 

“You weren’t supposed to know!” He moves his hands down to my ass and pushes me into him, kissing me strongly. These are different from the kisses from last night. Last night they were slow and gentle. He’s fucking swallowing me now and I see that he’s got himself a little worked up with all this kissing and camera talk. Little pervert, little fucking sexy pervert.

 

“Mere, I’m sorry…” I hear and pull back quickly and look to the door. Damn, we always get interrupted. I laugh, though. Shanda’s got her head peeped in the door but a hand is covering her eyes. “We gotta come back in, Marc wants to talk. So put on your clothes and put away all the toys.”

 

I laugh and tell her to come in after I pull myself off Justin. He wipes at his mouth and readjusts his jeans and tries to play everything off with a yawn. Silly boy. I grin at Shanda when she finally walks in and she rolls her eyes at me.

 

“Are you ok? I’m hearing rumors…”

 

I look to the door and see that Shanda wasn’t the only one coming in but now there’s a convoy of people. All I can really see is Teddy, in front of me, a little out of breath. “Don’t believe them Teddy. They’re all lies.”

 

He blows a deep breath, making his lips vibrate and then he narrows his eyes at me with a smile. “Like the one about you and horses?”

 

“Oh no, that one’s true.”

 

“You two…” I roll my eyes, I didn’t realize Angie had come in. She can’t stand it when Teddy and I joke.

 

But even she gets interrupted by another voice and Teddy moves out of the way and towards the door. I see Marc approaching. He has a bit of a worried look about him and takes a seat in my make up chair and leans forward. “We gotta make a decision here, Meredith. I don’t have a lot of time to waste. I only have so many shots I can do without you.”

 

“Well what if we changed up the idea a bit,” I say. He opens his mouth to speak but Justin leans forward. It’s amazing to watch him change from the simple quiet guy that I love to this: business man in charge, knowing he can change anyone’s mind to get what he wants.

 

Fuck, it’s sexy.

 

“What if I’m the hero guy, what do you think about that idea? Wouldn’t that cause a stir? And Victor…that’s his name, right? He can be the bad guy and maybe that can give the bad character more of a presence…”

 

“Oh…” Marc thinks for a moment and leans back, nodding and then he looks at us, smiles and waves his hand. “See I thought you two were trying to play it off all cool like you weren’t really together.” He winks.

 

“That’s what everyone would expect, right?” I smile when Justin says that. Yay, I’m doing something crazy in my career that’s gonna ‘cause heads to turn but it’s not fake and its not in a magazine! It’s my actual work. This is exciting and I love Justin for pulling this together for me and making me excited to work today. “Plus…” Justin winks at him. “Who said we’re together?”

 

“I love it.” Marc laughs, “If you guys think its cool that’s fine. I’ll have to run it by some of the crew and talk to Victor and make sure he’s cool with it but I think it’ll be great. I love it.”

 

“Well I don’t love it.”

 

I groan and see she’s still there, leaning against the counter with her arms over her chest. “It’s not your decision, Angie.”

 

“Can I talk to you alone?”

 

It’s silent in the trailer and then Teddy starts to go, “oooo…” Justin laughs and does the same then Shanda chimes in and I narrow my eyes and storm over to her and past her. “Are you gonna put me in detention?”

 

I storm out of the trailer being flooded by sunlight. A few people look at me and I just roll my eyes and turn when I go down the steps in between the other trailer that is close to mine. I stand there and cross my arms and wait for Angie to come bitch me out. “Come here…” I look over and see her standing there. She has a sad look on her face. I just glare at her. “Look…” She sighs and runs a hand through her hair. “Shit Mere, you know I don’t wanna do this. I hate fighting with you. But I’ve known you too long and I really don’t want you messing this up.”

 

“What would I mess up?”

 

She steps forward slowly and comes over to lean against the trailer across from me. “Don’t let him take over. Don’t let him make decisions for you and pull you away from where you need to be.”

 

“Well then who’s gonna make decision for me? Clearly I can’t make them myself.”

 

She runs a hand over her face. I get a good look at her and for a moment I feel bad. She does look like hell, like she’s had more work to do and no time to do it. “I’m not trying to be a slave driver.”

 

“I know, I know you’re just doing your job.” I suck in a breath and realize I need to be a big girl about all this. “I’m sorry I yelled earlier. I’m just tired and stressed out and…Angie...” I whine for a moment and move so that I’m leaning right beside her. This is what I need. I need the manager who’s more like a friend. “Like I have a boyfriend, now. I know it’s the worst thing ever for a career besides a baby, but…it’s life. I’m sorry. I’m not just a robot. I can’t just shut myself off and go into auto-pilot.”

 

She puts her arm around my shoulders and says, “You know I’m happy for you, right?”

 

I nod. She’s been with me for three years. She’s put up with all my drama, all my shit and she knows me very well. I don’t get to see her as much as I use to. She’s not around as much and even though she sometimes makes my nerves frayed, I am glad she’s here to make everything run smoothly. “Angie, I’m not mad at you.”

 

“And I’m not mad at you.” She shakes her head and laughs. “In fact the label will just eat this up, you two together in this video. And I’ll just change my voicemail to say no comment to any question about you because I’ll be getting calls from everyone I’m sure. I’ve already been getting calls from every magazine under the sun.” She rolls her eyes and I smile at her.

 

“And you don’t have to say anything else.”

 

“Have you guys discussed this? Like the press part.”

 

I nod. It’s one of the things we talked about last night about how we want to handle the press. I guess being in a video together all hot and heavy kind of goes back on some of the stuff we said about keeping our life and work separate, but I think if we consider this just a business collaboration then it’ll be fine. What the hell am I talking about? I’m going on that set and I’m gonna get to dance and kiss with my boyfriend, fuck the media, fuck what people think. It’s what I wanna do.

 

“We’re not gonna discuss each other except on a professional level.”

 

“Like that’ll last.” She says sarcastically and rolls her eyes.

 

“I don’t have another interview until the MTV awards, that’s like two or three weeks away. So I won’t have to worry about it until then, ok?”

 

She pauses for a moment and stares at me. “Does he treat you ok?”

 

“He’s fucking wonderful.”

 

“Why’d it have to be Justin Timberlake?” I laugh, I know what she means. If it had just been anyone else off the street or some other minor celebrity it wouldn’t be a big deal, but hooking up with Justin isn’t just hooking up with him. It’s hooking up with all the fame and the press and hype and everything else that surrounds his image. But I’m ready for that, I don’t care. I’ll deal with that and much more if it means I get to be with him. “Have you been with him all this time?”

 

“Just since I went to New York.”

 

“But not since you recorded?”

 

I shake my head. It’s the truth, but in a way it’s a bit of a fib ‘cause my mind’s been with him since then and so has my heart. I guess it’s a little pathetic and girly and cheesy, but I don’t think there’s been a day gone by that I haven’t thought of him since I met him. “No…”

 

“Why don’t you tell me this stuff?”

 

I laugh and give her a small side hug for a moment. “’Cause it makes you nervous and you’re too busy to worry about my piddle diddle.”

 

She smiles at me and I’m thankful. It’s the first smile I’ve seen from her in a while. “I’m going to go call Sony.”

 

“Tell them I’m not taking no for an answer.” I laugh and start to walk away from her, knowing I’ve already pushed back the schedule and people are gonna be more pissed if I don’t get this thing done. I’m ready to work, I’m ready to do this.

 

“Ok, boss.” She laughs.

 

I watch her pull out her phone and walk back from in between the trailers before running up the steps to mine and swinging open the door. “Yay!”

 

“Are you in trouble?”

 

I shake my head at him and do a stupid little dance that makes him laugh. “Nope.”

 

“Hey…” I stop and look up. Shanda points to the chair with a brush. “Get your ass over here.”

 

I plop down and she swings me around and retouches up my hair for a moment before starting to work on make up. “When does she get to put on the sparkly thing?”

 

I laugh and see him come over and sit up against the counter, smiling at me and swinging his legs underneath him so that the back of his sneakers hit the cabinet there. Shanda works on putting a powder on my face and pulls away and eyes him carefully, “What’s with you and girls with just sparkles on? Some kind of fetish?”

 

“Oooo…” I laugh, thinking back on that little outfit his ex-girlfriend wore during some performance. I remember watching that and thinking I could do so much better than her. Now I realize that I was being ridiculous and had so much work to do at the time. But I’ve done my work and now, now I’m climbing the top and my dreams are coming true and I have a great man by my side to see me to the top. Life’s good, real good and this morning I forgot that for a bit and I need to make sure I keep my blessings at the front of my mind.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…” He clears his thought a bit embarrassed and points to my head before looking at Shanda, “What’s with that nappy hair? Some kind of fetish?”

 

I giggle.

 

“Mr. Timberlake…” She pulls away and gives him a sack load of attitude. Shanda’s great, she always makes me laugh. “We haven’t officially been introduced, but this is what we call Diva Hair. And don’t act like you ain’t never seen it. I’ve been around this business. I remember the ‘Nsync Fro.”

 

“Ahhh, the fro!” I point to him and laugh. Oh god, the memories of being a senior in high school flood me. “I use to love JC back then.”

 

“Hey!” He pouts at me and I smile and turn the chair a bit, slip off my flip flops and push my feet up against the counter by him wiggling my toes.

 

“Rub my feet.”

 

Justin’s mouth drops and he looks at Shanda for a minute before scooting over and picking up my foot and putting pressure in the center of it. He better not tickle me. “Man, she’s bossy today.”

 

“Tell me about it.” Shanda finishes putting on my foundation and then works for a moment on my eyes. I love how fast she is with everything. It’s almost like she can wave her magic wand and I immediately look stylish. She’ll add a little more after I get my outfit on. “You ready to change?”

 

“Yup…” I nod.

 

“Excuse us, Justin.”

 

I shake my head and say, “He can stay.”

 

“Oh…” Shanda laughs and goes over to the rack and pulls off the scarf outfit. I hope I can wear panties. I hate it when she puts me in things that are so tight I can’t wear underwear. I always feel like a hooker like that. “Y’all all like that now, all right. That’s cool.” She comes back over and I take off my top and smack Justin’s hand when he says something about helping me out of the rest of my clothes. I point to him and then the couch. He pouts and goes and lays down on it. “Ya know with me and you and Justin in here by ourselves I bet there’s gonna be a rumor that we’re having a threesome.”

 

“Let’s make sex noises!” I exclaim and watch as Justin covers his face with his hand.

 

“You’re such a tease.”

 

I smile at him and throw my bra at him after I take it off. I turn around but realize I’m not really covering myself with the mirror right there. He smiles at me and I look at him through the mirror. “Oh you just wait ‘til we get out on set, baby.”

 

“Ok ok, enough!” Shanda comes over and turns me so I’m facing Justin and then puts herself in between me and his line of sight. “Let me put this on you before you guys rip it off.”

 

It’s amazing how relaxed it is, how we all just talk and Justin lays there until Trace knocks and tells him he needs to get ready. Apparently when I was having my conversation with Angie he had made all the calls he needed and Johnny and Jive thought it was a great idea. When he leaves Shanda gives me a hug and tells me she’s happy for me, which is weird ‘cause Shanda isn’t all that affectionate. She’s girly and we have a great time together but I don’t know if she’s ever just out of the blue hugged me like that. And it makes me realize that no matter what Angie was saying this morning, and no matter how much press and tabloid rumors come out, being with Justin is not a bad thing. In fact there’s nothing bad about it at all.

 

I think, I think he’s good for me. He’s making me think for myself and step out of my mold and he makes me happy, so fucking happy. And while I’ve never been really a depressed person I can assure you I’ve never in my life been as happy as I am right now. I smile, and it won’t go away because I just know that with him it can only get better from here.
Chapter 14 by Mere

Lot 14 outside of Studio B, 2:22 a.m.

 

I sip on my coffee, amazed how cold it can get at night here in LA. I guess it is in the middle of a desert. I’m use to New York where in the summer it’s hot, in the winter it’s cold and that’s it. Here in LA it’s always sunny, always hot but then random nights like this can give you insane chills. It’s a different type of cold than winter cold. It’s not bitter or bone chilling, but it can surprise you. At least I was able to swipe this hoodie from Meredith. I don’t think it’s hers, though. It smells like cologne and it’s huge. But she offered it and it made me a little more willing to run out to the 7-11 and get her a couple cans of RedBull and some snacks. All they had as far as coffee was this flavored shit. It’s cappuccino flavored water, completely disgusting, but it’s caffeinated and hot.

 

I feel like crap. I couldn’t eat all day and finally now that I’ve gone to the store I start to starve. I stuffed down a bag of KC Masterpiece chips and had a pack of Starburst on the ride back. Now I’m drinking my coffee, and it’s probably not the best idea, especially when my stomach was so empty. I just, I couldn’t eat earlier, not with Angie there looking at my every movement. I was afraid if I did eat then maybe she would yell at me and tell me I was doing wrong and should be worshipping Meredith. It’s like that’s what she expects me to do.

 

But my appetite had been fairly non-existent since last night.

 

It was a strange, strange day. Neither Meredith nor I knew she was going to show up and at first I thought Mere was more terrified than I was. She immediately started grilling both of us into the ground about all the drama that had been happening. An uproar of tabloid press had hooked onto Meredith and Justin and Angie felt the need to rub it in her face. I tried to stay out of it and tried to not pay much attention, I had more important things on my mind. Once Mere and her went and talked they suddenly became buddy buddies again and I was shocked.

 

Angie started to enjoy the video premise, especially after Sony ate up the idea. Her and Justin seemed to get along. She was even talking to Trace at one point and laughing. I’m not going to touch that subject. But she ignored me for the rest of the day, except to tell me that Meredith needed me to go get her a lunch plate at the catering tent and that I needed to make a phone call to get Mere an appointment at some designer’s workshop for a dress for the MTV awards show that’s coming up. I don’t know. I guess Angie isn’t so bad. After the initial bitch that she was this morning she turned more into the woman that I had first met. She was very professional with everyone, very down to business, but also very fun, or at least with everyone else. Plus, I fucked up a lot today with minor things, so I don’t really have an excuse. She has every right to be pissed at me.

 

I’m thankful Mere has been forgiving and understanding. She wants to know if I’m ‘ok’, if I need to ‘talk’. I told her I was fine, just cramping. She laughed and said I must be on a 14 day cycle. I didn’t find it too humorous. But I fake laughed so she’d get off my back and not know that the real reason I was so fucked up in the head was standing fifteen feet on the other end of the trailer, laughing with Justin about something.

 

At least I’ve done a pretty good job of ignoring him and he hasn’t said a word to me, hasn’t even looked my way to glare or flip me off or tell me I’m a cock-teasing bitch. No, he’s acted like I don’t even exist. I guess it hurts worse than if he was blatantly angry with me, but I guess I deserve it. No, no it doesn’t hurt. I’m not attached like that. I’m really not. It must just be stress.

 

I’m tired and I wish I could go home. I wish when Angie left a few hours ago I could have gone with her, but I couldn’t. I stayed because it’s my job. Soon afterward Meredith had some shots to do with Justin. She was thrilled about them, squealing to me and Shanda about how hot he was looking that day and how they were going to put him in a suit. Justin and his crew busted into the trailer soon after so they could go on set together. Trace was going to go watch them do the shoot and Shanda decided she wanted to watch, too. It was a big deal, a big audience formed just to see Meredith and Justin dancing all sexy together. I thought it was kind of ridiculous and didn’t understand why people cared so much. So when she asked me to go to the store for her and Justin I agreed.

 

It was nice to get away from everything and everyone.

 

I take in a deep breath, holding the two bags of drinks and junk food in one hand and my coffee and purse in the other. I have the keys in my mouth because I was trying to hold onto everything when I shut the door and well, it was just very complicated. I like to pretend that I’m smooth at times, but I’m such a klutz and I’m trying so hard not to drop anything. I’ll be happy when I can set this stuff down, finish my crappy fake coffee and lay down on that horrible green couch and pass out until it’s time to go home. A nap will be so nice and relaxing and…

 

“That’s my shirt!”

 

I jump and coffee spills out of the little no-spill lid and gets on my hand a little. I curse and drop the keys on the pavement and suck on my hand to get the hot liquid off. I hope to God that’s not him. If it is I’m going to kill Meredith for putting me in his sweatshirt. She did smile kind of weird when she handed it to me. I suck in a breath and move the bag to hang over my wrist and I try to bend down and pick up the keys. But two shoes stop before me and a nice pair of slacks hiding skinny long legs lead up to a frowning pop star.

 

I say a silent, thankful prayer that it’s Justin and not Trace. They really do sound more a like than I realized. It’s scary almost. Trace has a deeper voice, but at times their accents are perfectly the same. For all their physical differences they really are twins.

 

I groan when the bag starts to hurt my wrist and I have a hard time reaching the keys. “Will you just pick those up for me?” I stand up straight and look at him. He’s towering over me with a glare in his eyes.

 

“That’s my shirt.”

 

I roll my eyes. What does he think I did? Steal it so I could wear it and be all Justin-ated? Please. He’s annoying. “I didn’t know that. Meredith gave it to me because I was cold. I thought it was hers. She claimed it was.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Yeah, oh. Dumbass. He really is stupid sometimes. “Could you help me out here a little bit?”

 

He sighs and mumbles, “I gotta get to set.”

 

I thrust the plastic bag at him. “I think you can help me walk 100 feet, or are you too much of a prissy pop star to be able to help your girlfriend’s assistant?”

 

“Ok, God.” He snatches the bag and rolls his eyes and starts to stomp off. What a three year old! I snap up my keys and march after him. I’m going to force him to have a conversation with me. I haven’t done a damn thing to him and this is more than him just being uncomfortable with strangers. He’s hung out with all the extras all day and he didn’t know any of them! What’s so damn bad about me! What’s so wrong with me that he can’t at least be civil and kind?

 

“So how’s the shoot been so far?” I say as I catch up to him. “I know that last scene caused an audience.”

 

“It was fine.”

 

He’s pathetic and boring. I don’t even know why Meredith likes him. I guess he’s different around her. I at least hope so. I don’t know what I’m saying. I know he is. I see how he is with her. I saw them all day together, him picking on her hair and her outfits and kissing in between shoots and trying to pretend once they were out of the trailer like they were nothing more than just friends. They are that couple, that couple that’s annoying and pathetic and cute and makes you jealous for their type of relationship. I hate it. I hate being around them. And it’s sad that I let it get to me this much.

 

It’s even more sad that I let Trace get to me last night.

 

“Just fine?”

 

“Yeah, it was cool.”

 

We reach the trailer in no time and Justin kindly opens the door for me. I’m shocked and I sigh and look up at him. I start to say to him, “Look, I know we don’t really get along but…” I stop, ‘cause sitting there on the couch is Trace, sprawled out, on his cell phone, laughing.

 

Fuck.

 

“What?” Justin nudges me and hands me the plastic bag.

 

“Oh nothing,” I set down my purse and drop the keys into it and shake my head before grabbing the plastic handle. I wish I could just get away from him, both of them, and everything else. “Just never mind.”

 

“You’re late, mister. They came in here looking for you.” Shanda’s voice makes me jump. Dammit, that man puts my nerves on edge. And all he’s doing is lying there, ignoring me.

 

“What?”

 

“On the set, go. Mere’s already out there.”

 

Justin runs a hand over his short hair and turns on his heels when Shanda points to the door. “Oh shit.”

 

“Here, take this for Mere.” I reach in the back and hand him two cans of the energy drink. “I think this one is for you, too. Tell her I got her food here.”

 

“Oh ok.” He looks dumfounded for a moment and then nods at me. “Thanks.”

 

Then the door shuts, and I thank God that Shanda is there and I’m not forced to be alone with him any more than I have to. I fish around in the bag just to look busy for a moment and then glance up at him, to see what he’s doing.

 

He’s staring right at me.

 

I gulp.

 

“Hey Courtney…” I cut my eyes over to Shanda and sigh. Seriously, thank God she’s here. I walk over, push myself up on the counter and sip on my coffee, eyeing Trace who’s now picked up one of the magazines Angie left. He’s still on the phone but talking very low. Shanda’s in the makeup chair, putting things away in a bag.

 

“What’s up?”

 

She sighs and throws a brush in her bag and then snaps it shut. I notice now that the clothing rack is emptied and there’s a small suitcase zipped up behind the chair. “I’m about to head on out ‘cause there onto the last shot for today. Tell Mere she can just keep the outfit she’s wearing, ‘cause she was flipping about it when I put it on her earlier. Also, make sure she knows to give me a call and leave me a message if she needs me again tomorrow. Hopefully, they might actually wrap it up this evening but I’m not sure.”

 

“Do you know how many more shots they got?”

 

She shrugs. “Like one or two.”

 

That’s great news. Right now I could think of nothing better than resting in bed. “Good, I’m getting tired.”

 

“You look it.” Well thanks. I hate when you say something like that, like ‘I don’t feel good’ or ‘I’m tired’ and someone agrees with you. It doesn’t really help your mood. She stands up, throws a purse over her shoulder and grabs the makeup bag in her hand. “Alright, see ya girl. Here, make sure she washes her face. Tell her I don’t care how tired she is. I don’t want her having zits I have to cover up. Give her this and she can do it on the ride home.” She hands me a small little bottle of some French brand cleaning wipes. I can’t even pronounce the name.

 

“Ok, thanks Shanda.”

 

“No prob.” She leans and picks up the handle to the suitcase and lets it roll behind her for a moment before stopping, turning, and saying, “Oh…” She smiles at me and whispers: “he was asking where you were earlier.”

 

“Who?” She widens her eyes for a moment and glances over to the couch. Shit. She smiles and laughs. “Later girl. See ya Tracie.”

 

I suck in a breath and push myself off the counter and sit in the now vacant chair. “Call me about Friday, girl.”

 

I look in the mirror at him and he’s staring at Shanda and making a lewd gesture with his tongue and his fingers at her. I knew he was just a stupid pervert little man. Ugh. Why did I even let him get near me? Why did I even invite him in?

 

“You perv.” She laughs and then the door smacks shut.

 

And I’m all alone. With him.

 

I try to play it off at first, but then I find myself staring at him through the mirror. He’s still reading some damned magazine, no longer on his phone. I find myself trying to do something. I look down at my nails and pick them, glance at my watch. I go over to that bag of food, but remember everything in there is Mere’s and she’ll probably be screaming for it when she comes back. I finish off my coffee, throw it in the trash can. I sigh, thinking he’ll notice me and say something.

 

But he doesn’t. He just looks really into the article he’s reading.

 

Asshole.

 

But the thing is. I can’t blame him for the way he’s acting. I know last night was my fault. I mean we both overreacted, but I started it. I was the one setting the mood. I know I was the one initiating the flirting. I know I was pretty much begging for it. But I got scared and, well I was too chicken to tell him that. I don’t want him seeing me that way. I don’t want him to know that I’m weak.

 

So I acted like a child and probably look weaker in his eyes now than I would have if I had been totally honest. Up until this point my actions with Trace have been pathetic and elementary. I know it’s been a while since I’ve had dealings with men, but I use to do it all the time. I’m not some scared, naïve little girl.

 

And it’s time for me to start acting like a grown up.

 

I swirl around from where I’ve been sitting in the chair, staring at him through the glass and slap my hands on my knees. “Can we talk…”

 

He doesn’t look at me, doesn’t jump, doesn’t even miss a beat, just flips a page of the magazine. “Sure, I’ve been doing it since I was one or two.”

 

That kind of pisses me off. “Let’s cut the jokes and the bull shit and figure this out.”

 

The magazine snaps closed angrily and gets flung onto the floor. He still doesn’t look at me, but crosses his arms over his chest and stares up at the ceiling, scowling. “Figure what out Courtney? You going psycho on my ass and kicking me out of your house over something insignificant? I think I can figure that out.”

 

“It…It wasn’t insignificant!” I run my hands through my hair and take it out of the pony tail holder. It feels good. It’s been like that for almost eighteen hours. I shake my hair out a bit and see that now he’s looking at me. Oh great, so if I just changed my hairstyle he would have noticed me before. I bite my tongue. Stop it Court, don’t pull out that attitude again. “Look, I admit it. I acted like a child last night. I was upset and confused and I took it all out on you and I’m really sorry about that.”

 

He sits up on the couch and stretches out his legs, arms still over his chest, but now he’s looking directly at me, and he’s not smiling. “You did act pretty fucking ridiculous. I mean, it was a fucking kiss, its not like I asked you to have my baby or something.” But then his face changes. He sighs, looks down at his lap and uncrosses his arms. “But I guess I kind of overreacted, too.”

 

I sigh and shake my head. “We shouldn’t have done that.”

 

“What? Kiss?” His face makes me want to smile. He suddenly looks like a lost puppy or a little boy who just heard he couldn’t play in that afternoon’s ball game. “Why not?”

 

I grin at him. “’Cause it made us both mad.”

 

“No, it made you mad and then that made me mad. I happened to thoroughly enjoy the kissing part.” He laughs, glances at me and then looks away and yawns. He’s such a horrible actor.

 

“Why did you kiss me anyway?”

 

He laughs again and this time stares straight at me. His eyes are dark, like deep chocolaty brown. He has a nice smile, too. A really nice one. And a good laugh. It’s deep and makes you want to smile with him. It’s not one of those annoying laughs that’s too breathy or high pitched. “I have no fucking idea.”

 

“Then what was going on in your head?”

 

He pats the space beside him on the couch and I just stare at him. I’m not sure it’s the best idea for us to be that close when we’re talking about sex. Well, ok we’re not talking about sex. We’re talking about kissing but… Shit. I take a breath. And he says, “Look, I’m not gonna do it again, so don’t worry about it.”

 

That’s not what I meant. Like, I didn’t mind kissing him. He was actually a really damn good kisser, very surprisingly. And I guess he’s kind of cute. He really does have a great personality and is hilarious, but I don’t know. I don’t like him, like him. I’m just attracted or something really weird. Maybe I’m going crazy.

 

He’s staring at me and I guess I have some weird look on my face so I stare back at him and say real slowly, “What...what if I want you to do it again? I cringe after I say it ‘cause honestly I didn’t expect that to come out of my mouth.

 

It starts out slow. At first he just stares at me and then he stands up, shakes his head and points a finger at me before throwing up his hands and saying, “Oh hell no, bitch! We’re not playing this shit.”

 

I sigh and cover half my face with my hand. I need some sleep. I really didn’t mean for him to get upset with me. I do not want to argue. I don’t have the energy. “I got freaked out last night.”

 

“Yeah, you did.” The next thing I know he’s standing right in front of me, arms once again crossed over his chest, scowl back on his face. “You went from moaning against me and clutching my shirt and putting your little wine tasting mouth all up on mine to pushing me away and calling me names and accusing me of taking advantage of you. That’s fucked up, Courtney.”

 

I sit up from where I’ve been slouching in the chair so I can defend myself. “I haven’t kissed a guy in like a year! And I’m not supposed to like you. You’re everything I despise and, and…”

 

He starts to smile. “So that means you do like me.”

 

I groan and slide back down in the chair so that I’m practically hanging out of it. I wish it were my bed. I wish I was back at home, all asleep with my pillow underneath my head. I really hope we don’t have to come back here tomorrow morning. “I don’t know.” He’s laughing at me and I realize that once again I’m acting immature. I begin to sit up but I end up moving so that I’m standing up and staring him in the face. “Ok, ya know, fuck this. I’ll just lay it out there. I don’t know if I like you or if this is just that kind of middle school attraction that you have to someone you despise.”

 

“Sexual tension.” He smiles and leans forward for a moment before rocking back on his heels. “Like I mentioned it at the restaurant in Miami and then tried to play it off, but you knew what I was talking about. Didn’t you?”

 

I grin. I’m still wearing Justin’s sweatshirt and I can tell now when Trace leaned into me that they wear the same cologne. They’re such dorks. But it makes me smile. “Yeah, yeah I know.”

 

My grin fades and I’m left with a bit of a shocked expression when he leans into me. Oh my god, is he gonna kiss me again? He can’t just kiss me again! He whispers, “So why don’t we just fuck and get it over with?”

 

I pull away. Of course, right when he’s about to win me over he has to say something stupid like that. He’s pathetic. “Are you serious?” I move around him and go plop on the couch. He’s nuts. Does he really think he can just throw that out there and I’ll be ok with it!?

 

“Oh come on! Why not?”

 

I stare at him. He’s laughing at me, actually fucking laughing at me. Now I cross my arms over my chest and pull my legs up underneath me Indian style. The truth comes out: he just wants me for sex. Well, I guess it’s something. “I’m not like that. I don’t know where you would get that impression.”

 

He shakes his head and smiles at me. “I’ve thrown out trying to get any impressions off you, girl. ‘Cause you surprise me every damn day with something new and unexpected.”

 

“I’m not into one night stands or meaningless sex.”

 

I shake my head and eye him carefully. He seemed genuine with his comment but at times I have a hard time figuring him out. I guess I am kind of a paradox. I’m down to business but I do like to have fun. Actually I haven’t had a lot of fun in a while. Before I got this job all the fun in my life had been sucked out of me. Now, now it’s starting to creep back and I’m glad. And I know I can be uptight and by the book, but in my free time I like to be spontaneous. Ok. So, I’m not that spontaneous, but I’m also not just some hermit, book worm who doesn’t want a life. I want a life.

 

I want a life badly. And I want friends and relationships. But not the kind he’s asking for. I’m…I’m not ready for that. I’m not ready to be that intimate with him, with anyone.

 

Now it would feel good. Oh shit, would it feel good to have sex with him. Well, ya know, just in general. Not just with him. With anyone…

 

Fuck it. I admit it. I like him. I really do. I don’t know why I like him and I don’t know why I keep wanting to hide it. But I guess I, I like him. I’m not saying I would go to Vegas with him tomorrow, but ya know, he’s not that bad. And he’s kind of cute.

 

And, and he can kiss…really, really, really fucking well.

 

He sighs and plops down next to me on the couch. He’s too close to me but I don’t want to move away from him. He rolls his head to me and smiles, “But you will admit you need to get laid.”

 

I smack him in the arm. “Don’t make fun of me!”

 

Shit, I guess I’m more like Meredith than I realized.

 

He leans even closer to me and says, “Friends with benefits is never a bad thing, Court.”

 

I correct him. He might think he’s being sexy but I can’t afford to fall for that right now. We haven’t finished discussing all this. “Friends with benefits is always drama waiting to happen. We’re not having sex Trace. I’m being honest. I did want you to kiss me the other night. Half of me was craving it. The other half was terrified that I would actually like it.”

 

His eyes don’t blink and they look right at mine. “You liked it.”

 

I turn away from him. He’s getting to be a little too dangerous to look at. “I more than liked it and so I had to push you away. I can’t afford to have some crush. And I don’t even like you romantically so don’t think that. This tension or whatever it is between us, I just can’t have that fucking up my career. I’m getting to the point where I’m almost, loving this job. It’s getting to be what I thought PA life would be.”

 

He smiles and pulls back a bit. “Told ya Mere wasn’t bad.”

 

“She’s…” I laugh. He was right. He was right about almost everything in the beginning. Of course I got in some shit for what he advised me to do, but he was right nonetheless. Mere’s not bad at all. And I’ve been having a pretty good time getting to know her over the past few weeks. I haven’t seen much of her this week because I know she’s been hanging out with Justin a lot. But still. She’s, she’s pretty damn cool. Still has a lot of growing up to do but I know she’ll learn that as time goes on. “Ya know she’s actually great and kind of opening up a side of me that I lost a long time ago.”

 

I hear him take in a sharp breath and I look over at him and he’s staring at me like I’m a ghost. “What happened to you?”

 

“What?” Whoa, what happened to me? What happened to you? Complete 180. Is my nose bleeding or something?

 

“You weren’t like raped or beaten or something, were you?”

 

I actually laugh. I know I shouldn’t but I do, and my eyes widen and I can’t believe he just fucking asked me that. “Wow. You have no tact.”

 

He swallows noticeably. “You were?”

 

I laugh harder. “No!”

 

“Whew… Good, ‘cause I was scared there that I was getting involved with drama I don’t even want to touch!”

 

I smack him again. He’s impossible. “You’re so fucking rude! What if I had been like, hurt that way? You’d just walk away like,” I mock his deep voice. “‘Sorry bitch, can’t help you there?’”

 

He nods eagerly. “Pretty much. I’d probably just mess you up even more and say the wrong thing.”

 

I laugh some more and he starts smiling at me and laughing a little bit with me. It feels good. Maybe that flavored caffeine coffee thing is starting to work. I feel a little more awake and a little less run down. Or maybe, maybe it’s just getting along with him that puts me in a better mood.

 

I look at him and he’s shaking his head and yawning. It starts to get rather warm in the trailer so I pull off the sweatshirt and toss it over onto the chair and then straighten my button down shirt underneath. He stares at me the whole time and I just roll my eyes at him.

 

It’s quiet for a long while and that awkward silence starts to make my brain think about things that I’ve been wondering for a few weeks. After a while I finally say, “Will you tell me something honestly?”

 

“Of course.”

 

I take in a deep breath and close my eyes. I have to ask. I just have to and I know he’s gonna get upset because I’m bringing up a subject that made us fight one time. I can tell this is a bad topic for him, but if he’s been this blunt and honest with me so far I need to keep pushing. “I’m gonna sound like a bitch, but were you really engaged?”

 

It’s quiet for a moment and I open my eyes just to make sure he’s not about to slit my throat. He’s staring down at his hands, pursing his lips. His eyes get this glassy look, but he doesn’t move his gaze from his fingers. Then he nods. “Yeah. She broke up with me for her old boyfriend last fall. We had the place set and I had the honeymoon all booked and everything.” He lifts his head and smiles at me but I wouldn’t call it a happy smile. “And for your information, you’re just the second girl I’ve kissed since her. I hooked up with this random chick a couple months ago but, I think she just wanted Justin.”

 

“Do you get that a lot?”

 

He laughs again and once again it’s not very happy. It’s actually starting to depress me and I have to wonder if this jovial, crude, joking man is really actually pretty upset on the inside. “More than you know. I almost have to wonder sometimes if Elisha was just dating me because I was connected to Justin. He swears she never came onto him, but I don’t know. I just don’t know why she put up with me for so long if she didn’t really love me.”

 

“So it hurt…”

 

He interrupts me. “She broke my fucking heart. I wanted to marry her, Courtney. I swear I was never, ever the marrying type. I was the bachelor who wanted to have fun and fuck around for my life. And I met her and I was like, that’s it. Gotta marry her. Gotta settle down. I wanted to have kids with her and build a house and a life.”

 

He looks like he might cry and suddenly I realize how huge of a bitch I’ve been to him. How ridiculous I’ve been towards him, how impatient and judgmental. He says that he stopped having impressions on me because I shocked him. Well, he just shocked the hell out of me.

 

Who knew Trace Ayala had an emotional side? Who knew he actually cared?

 

“Shit.”

 

“I’m getting over it.” He sighs and shrugs.

 

It’s quiet for a long time. I think about him while he clears his throat and shifts in his seat, thinking how much pain and heart ache he’s been put through. How, now I realize we have a bit more in common than I thought. We’ve both been fucked over by people we were in love with. His phone rings at one point and he looks at the ID and then puts it back down, not answering it. I think about how I’ve treated him from the moment we met. How he treated me. How from that first fucking moment it was awkward and there was tension. It’s kind of weird actually. I’m not gonna say anything about fate, but it’s a weird situation all around.

 

I’m glad were now able to sit down and talk this all out in a civilized manner. “So what do we do about us?”

 

“I don’t know. I kind of feel like the ball is in your court, Court.” He smiles and his eyes brighten and he laughs. “Ha ha, get it…”

 

I roll my eyes. “That was really pathetic.”

 

He sticks his tongue out at me and puts his arm over the back of the couch behind my shoulders. “What would you wanna do?”

 

I take a breath and turn a little on the couch to face him. “Just, don’t push me, ok? And don’t think that I want to like get involved with you as far as dating, or in an actual relationship type thing. We’ve admitted that there’s some attraction and so I don’t know. I don’t want to have sex with you, but I don’t want us just being pissed off all the time at each other.”

 

“What if we were just honest with each other?” He leans forwards and smiles and it makes me smile because well, the way he’s looking at me is like I’m the only girl in the world. It’s that look Justin gives to Meredith, that look I’ve been so jealous of. “If I wanna kiss you, I’ll tell you and vice versa. If you aren’t feeling it, then fine. I won’t be such an asshole all the time, either. But you gotta not be so quick to go into psycho bitch mode.”

 

I laugh and agree with him. “Ok. I think I can manage that.”

 

He bites his lip, scoots closer and leans in. I know whets about to come out of his mouth. It makes me anxious. But I kind of like it. “So right now, if I said I wanted to try last night over again, what would you say?”

 

I curl up my lip in a smile and narrow my eyes at him. “Are you trying to be sexy, Trace?”

 

“Is it working?”

 

He leans closer and I know I should lean back and not give into him. But I just stay stationary and watch as he gets closer to me. “No…”

 

He’s so close now. He laughs just a bit and whispers, “Yes it is.” And he kisses me. It’s soft and it’s slow and he reaches up his hands and holds my face with both of them and then moves them to my neck and then my shoulders and pulls me up against him, kissing me just a bit deeper.

 

And then he pulls away and I have to catch my breath. I don’t know if it’s just because he’s a good kisser or if it’s because it’s been so long for me, but I just stare at him and I try not to let myself feel anything deeper than I should. It was just a kiss, that’s it.

 

That’s…that’s it.

 

He smiles. “That wasn’t so bad.”

 

“No, no it wasn’t.”

 

He looks up for a moment at my hair and runs his hand over it. Wow. He’s, he’s actually being sweet. I expected horney Trace. I expected sexy Trace. But never did I expect sweet Trace. Not this. “Do you want to try it again or is that enough for one night?”

 

“No. I mean, I do but…” My entire body is taken over in a yawn and a stretch. I slouch back down and sigh and smile at him. “…I might fall asleep.”

 

He grins and leans back against the other side of the couch. He lets one leg hang off the couch and the other is bent and up against the back of the lumpy cushions. He pats his chest and moves the hat he had been wearing backwards over to the front to sort of shield his eyes. “Then lean over here, girl.”

 

I start to. I start to lean against him and I think about how great it’s going to feel to do that. I haven’t done that, I guess cuddling or whatever it’s called, in so fucking long. Just to lie against him and close my eyes and relax will feel like heaven. He doesn’t even have to hold me or say anything or do anything and I’ll be so fucking happy.

 

But I don’t get the chance. Before I’m able to move, the door opens fast, quietly and then shuts again in the same manner. Trace cranes his neck around and stares at what I’m staring at.

 

I can’t believe they don’t even realize we’re in here. Where else do they think we’d be? Maybe they just don’t give a shit.

 

Whoa, he just grabbed her ass. I really don’t think they know or either they really don’t care. She’s got him pushed up against the wall, her hands in his shirt, which for a little girl like Mere is pretty hilarious. They’re kissing like it’s the end of the world and oh my god, they’re moaning. Like sex moans. She’s unbuttoning his shirt and he’s pulling up the long shirt she was wearing to reveal the black leather hot pants below. He grabs her there again and pulls her flush against him. Now she’s taking off his shirt, forcing it down over his arms leaving him in just a tank top. I hope they weren’t making out for the world to see outside. Trace looks at me and puts a finger up to his lips.

 

But I can’t help it. I cover my mouth with my hand, but when Justin starts making these little groaning bear noises and Meredith starts to laugh and says something like ‘does the big boy wanna come play,’ I bust out laughing. I literally curl up on the couch and bury my face into the cushion and laugh my eyes out. And I really don’t know why. I guess they were being pretty stupid and ridiculous all into each other, but I guess in another way I’m just so happy that Trace and I have come to a point where we understand each other.

 

Trace yells, “Damn, get a room!” And I look up to see two famous pop stars staring back at us. Mere’s hair is completely a ruined mess and the lower part of Justin’s face looks like a two year old who tried on their mother’s lipstick.

 

She pulls away and Justin stays close behind her with a bit of an embarrassed look on his face. She puts her hands on her hips. “What were you guys doing, just watching us!”

 

“Court, hide the camera.”

 

I laugh and after a moment Justin snatches up his shirt off the floor and comes over by us. He flips Trace off. “Smart ass, get our shit together. We’re going home.”

 

“Thank God.” He groans and pushes himself up off the couch.

 

Mere goes over to her little bag that’s there in the corner and pulls out her phone and looks at it and then throws it back in the bag. She stands up and says, “I know! Let’s all go over to Justin’s and have a sleep over.”

 

“I love how you just invite yourself over. I might have plans, chick.” He shakes his head at her and I just sit there, thankful that this day is over. Trace is already gathering all his stuff that he had sprawled out in the trailer. They had kind of made camp here in Mere’s trailer. Justin still had his own and I know there was some of his clothes over there they still had to get, but they spent most of their time here.

 

I watch as she walks over to him and puts a hand back on her hip again, poking him in the chest. “What kind of plans?”

 

“Might have a hot date.” He shrugs, clicks his tongue against the roof of his mouth and then flashes out his hand and grabs her side making her squeal. She smacks at his hand and he laughs. “Get cha stuff and let’s go, babe.”

 

She smiles at me and waves at me to come on. “Come on Court, I’m sure they-“

 

“You go on,” I say. “I need to get back to my place.”

 

“Oh come on, Justin’s house is closer…” She whines.

 

Suddenly there’s a presence close to me and Trace is sitting right by me, zipping up his book bag. “Yeah, it’ll be fun.”

 

“Nah, go on…” I smile at Mere and she pouts. “And if you need a ride back tomorrow morning give me a call.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah, here…” I get up off the couch because I know that the longer I sit by him the more I’ll want to go with them, and I’m not sure what would happen with Trace and I if I slept over at Justin’s. I know he lives there and I know he’d offer his bed. And I just, I don’t know if I’m ready for that. I go to the counter where I had my stuff and hand her the bag and the little French container. “Shanda said to wash your face with this and here’s your snacks.”

 

“Aww, you’re the best.” I’m suddenly being hugged around the neck and a bright smile is staring me in the face. “I’ll call you tomorrow, ok? Be careful driving.” The smile fades and that pout comes out again. “You sure you don’t wanna come back? We can have a drink or go swimming or watch a movie.”

 

I laugh. “Yes, I’m sure!” I shake my head, turn her around and push her towards Justin. “Would you go and have fun and be safe and stop worrying about me?” Honestly, I’d actually like to go and have friends and a life and socialize and have fun. But right now I don’t trust myself with him.

 

She looks back over her shoulder for a moment and smiles before hopping up on Justin’s back and whining ‘carrying me.’ He makes some smart ass crack about him being an old man and her weighing a ton. She smacks his shoulder and slides off him. Trace eyes me carefully as they start to file out and I haven’t even really started to get any of my shit together. I know he wants me to stay with him and well, I guess a big part of me wants to, too.

 

But just, I can’t. Not yet.

 

Tonight was a big step for me and I hope he knows that and I hope he understands it. And I hope he doesn’t push me further than I’m willing to go.

 

The bad part is, I’m afraid I might be willing to go farther than I really, truly realize.
Chapter 15 by Mere

Kroger, 3:15 p.m.

 

My girlfriend has a nice, tight ass. Like, it’s small, but so is she, and it looks so damn good in her jeans right now. And the best part is that I know what it looks like underneath those jeans. I know what she looks like underneath all those clothes. And my little girl is hot, damn hot. My desire for her is starting to get out of control. I’ve wanted her from the moment I saw her, but now, now that we’ve, ya know, done stuff and ever since that night at my pool things have gotten pretty damn serious, and I’ve been having a damn hard time controlling myself.

 

I’m actually pretty shocked that I was able to control myself that night. Swimming naked with her, having her body against mine and then laying on a chair with her in between my legs, just talking with me, well I’m actually proud of myself for being able to carry on a conversation with her, a meaningful one and not being too overcome with wanting to touch her in between her legs or kiss her all sexy.

 

Her body seriously amazed me that night. Right under her left breast she has this cute freckle and there’s this tiny little scar she has on the right side of her belly button where she said she had to have her appendix taken out when she was a kid. And that tattoo. It’s right on the lower part of her back, right before her ass starts to curve out. And her skin is so soft, like silk. And…and her nipples are the perfect size and color and I know that’s stupid to say but, it’s the truth. Her body is fucking beautiful. My girl, she’s just so damn sexy.

 

I’ve always wanted more from Mere than just sex. I might have been too scared to admit that at first, and the thought still kind of freaks me out. We’ve spent a lot of time together lately and I’m well, I’m starting to get a little nervous ‘cause I’ve been feeling things. And I also got promo coming up and her album is coming out and I’m sure she’ll go on tour and so will I, and we’ll be separated and long distance really sucks. It wouldn’t be so bad if we both weren’t going to be on the road but…

 

It’s getting to the point where I’m starting to get a little paranoid. Something’s gonna mess up. It just has to. This, this is too perfect, too good to last. And I want it to last so bad. I wanna fall in love with her.

 

Sometimes I think I might already have.

 

She’s…she’s really good for me. She makes me happy and satisfied with life and not just searching around for things to do. We can just be together and sit there and not do a damn thing and it’s ok. And her ass is fucking fine. In fact, it’s so fine that I go up behind her where she’s picking up some plums and putting them in a plastic bag. I rub her back for a moment and she doesn’t acknowledge me. My hand travels down and I graze her ass just slightly and squeeze her there quickly.

 

She gasps and turns around and I want to kiss her. I want to kiss her so fucking bad. I don’t care that we are in public. I don’t care that there’s a lady twenty feet away picking out lettuce and her little girl in the front of the cart is just staring at me. I don’t care that this chick I would have graduated from high school with if I hadn’t been in ‘Nsync was at the deli counter and yelled at me when I came in and talked to me and now I know she’s been staring at us, too.

 

I just don’t care.

 

I lean in and she backs away from me at first and then leans in and kisses me really fast before sliding past me and setting the bag in the cart. I turn to follow her and my mother is there, hair pulled back with a hat on and a pad of paper in her hand. She’s always making lists, always of things she needs to buy or do. This is her grocery list but I’m sure there are at least five other lists in that pad somewhere.

 

She sighs and I go over and put my arm around her. It’s great to be home, great to be with her. I really do have the best mother. I mean, at times she annoys me. Hell, I know at times I annoy the shit out of her. She’s not afraid to tell me that either. But there’s something about being here with her, just grocery shopping with her and Mere, that just…it’s like I’m really at home, ya know?

 

And from the moment we got off the plane, she ran and hugged and kissed me and did the same with Trace, and then she looked at Meredith, smiled and gave her a hug and a kiss and I knew, I knew right then and there this was gonna be awesome. My mother has a good intuition and I could tell right off that she liked Meredith. And I could tell Meredith liked her and well, that just makes me really happy. In the past year or so I’ve only brought home one, no two girls.

 

My mom hated them from the moment she saw them and she wasn’t afraid to tell me either.

 

“Now do you guys want me to make Steaks tonight?”

 

I could orgasm at the thought of one of my mother’s steaks. Is that perverted? “Oh my god, please momma.”

 

She laughs and pets me on the shoulder. She’s always laughing at me. It’s great. She makes fun of me like no one else. “Ok baby. Mop up the drool.”

 

Mere comes up and puts her arm around me for a moment. It’s weird, her and my mother both kind of look like twins, both in jeans and tank tops and hats on their heads with their hair pulled back. It’s cute, really it is. “Mmm fruit on sale.” She smiles at me and points to a sign that has buy one get one free for berries or something.

 

“Get whatever you want, darling.” My mother says, dramatically marking off something on the list as she throws a bag of oranges into the cart. “Two little plums isn’t enough! I’m not going to be around for two nights and Justin might starve you so stock up on whatever you want.” She starts to walk off and is talking to herself about whether to get regular cabbage or red cabbage. I just look at my girlfriend and smile. I almost say something to her, like how fucking sexy she looks and how I can’t wait to get home and make out with her.

 

But as soon as I open my mouth I hear a yell, “Justin! Push the cart and stop laggin’. You guys get what stuff you want here. I’m gonna go talk to Dale.” She waves her hand and walks further down the produce section to the back of the store.

 

“Who’s Dale?”

 

Mere pulls away from me and goes to get some strawberries or something. Shit, I wonder if she’s the type of girl that would wanna mess around with food and sex. I bet she would. “The butcher. Mom and him grew up together.”

 

“Well that’s convenient.” Suddenly she’s amazed by the avocados. I probably look like a dumb ass just standing here staring at my girl and her fine ass, but I don’t care. There’s nothing I’d rather be doing. She really is a gorgeous girl. “Ooo, can I get this to make guacamole?”

 

The avocados are in this little fake indigenous-looking food stand. It has all the tropical fruit and shit on it. The cool thing is it kind of blocks the view of everyone in the deli, like that Carla girl and that lady with the kid that was staring at me. You could only see us if you came behind the stand to get to this side of it or if you were trying to get to the potatoes. Well there’s probably cameras but I don’t give a shit. I pull her back against me and lean down to start kissing her neck a little bit. She smells so damn good. I wish we hadn’t agreed to come out with momma on errands. We should have stayed at home, and I should have gone down on her. Damn her skin is like fucking candy. I kiss her up to her ear and whisper, “Whatever you want.”

 

“Oh…” She giggles and puts two avocadoes in a bag. “Well then remind me to get some whipped cream to use on you, I mean the strawberries.”

 

I push myself into her. Little girl is giving me a hard on and she knows it, so I bite her ear and say, “Teasing slut.”

 

She pulls away from me and narrows her eyes, “Cocky mother fucker.”

 

“You like it.”

 

She blushes and giggles. I don’t know, it’s something new we’ve been doing the past three days. We’ve been calling each other these horrible names. She called me a ‘little cock’ the other day and I called her a ‘loose whore’ and we laughed and then made out. I don’t know. It’s kind of hot pretending to be all fake mad and hating each other.

 

We walk over to the cart and she puts the avocados in there along with some tomatoes she picked up. She turns and smiles at me. It’s that smile, that damn fucking smile she keeps giving me. I wanna go home. With her. Now. “So your momma’s leaving tomorrow night?”

 

I grin at her and wink. “It’ll just be me and you and the entire house to ourselves.”

 

She nods and looks past me over to where they have the bagged salads and stuff. “And Court.”

 

“Right…” My smile drops and I follow her gaze and see her there. Khakis pants, button down blouse, hair pulled back, reading the back of the salads, that’s what she’s doin’. Oh yeah right, like a fucking bagged salad needs a calorie count.

 

Freak.

 

Mere smacks my butt with the back of her hand and pushes the cart into me and makes me walk over towards where Courtney is standing. We get close, like not super close, but about ten feet away and Mere says, “Don’t just stand there get something if you want it girly!”

 

She looks at us, seeming a little bit surprised and puts the salad back. She shrugs. “I’ll just eat whatever you guys get.”

 

I look at Meredith and roll my eyes. I receive another smack, this time in the arm. “You know you could be a little nicer,” she mumbles.

 

I scoff a little. I mean, ok, so I guess I could be nicer, but what the hell? I don’t like the girl and I don’t think she likes me so why should I have to put on this fake ass smile and be nice. Why can’t I just ignore her? I don’t trust her. I don’t care if her and Mere are getting to be friends. There’s something about her. From the moment I met her and saw her I just, I didn’t like her. And I know her and Trace are getting to be friends, which tells me that he’s really going through some mental instability. I thought he was getting past all this Elisha bull shit, but clearly he’s latching onto Courtney.

 

And Courtney is not his type. At all. And Mere, well she’s nice and friendly and spends a lot of time with the girl so of course she’s gonna have some sort of affection towards her. But that doesn’t mean I have to.

 

I mean it’s nice enough that I’m letting her stay in my house. “What?”

 

“You make her feel uncomfortable.”

 

“What?” I shake my head. If anyone feels uncomfortable, it’s me. She’s always staring at me like she doesn’t approve or like she’s trying to get into my head. Maybe I’m just paranoid. Maybe I’ve just been around too many bitches in my life, too many women that just want to get close to me or pull some bull shit on me. But you can’t just make me start trusting her. I feel weird around her and I’ve tried to be nice, tried to change, but every time I look at her I know she’s judging me. “She makes me feel that way. I just don’t trust strangers in my house. Especially here ‘cause, ‘cause this is home.”

 

Meredith rolls her eyes at me and pushes the cart away, glaring. “Fine, then we’ll just go get a hotel and not bother you.”

 

“Mere…” Shit. The last thing I wanna do is piss off my girl. I run up to her and get in front of the cart, putting my hands up in a mock surrender. I’ll deal with Courtney. I’ll fucking deal with her just fine if Mere stays with me at my house. I want Mere to stay with me. ‘Cause ya know, my mom and dad are going out of town and we’ll have the place to ourselves and well, yeah… “It’s fine, ok? I’ll be nice, I swear.”

 

She sticks her tongue out at me and I’m relieved she’s not completely pissed off. I start to say something sexy again, smart ass and sexy about me and her renting a hotel instead, but mom interrupts me again.

 

“Justin, come here…”

 

I turn and see her over by the meat section talking to Dale who’s behind the counter. Dale’s a cool guy, a little strange and there are rumors that he’s gay, but he grew up with my mom and he’s always been really good to her and nice.

 

“Hey Dale, how you doing?” I wave at him and Meredith comes to a halt beside me with the cart.

 

“Good good. You keeping busy out there in California?”

 

I nod. “You know it.”

 

The next thing I know there’s another presence beside me and Courtney is standing right there. Why’s she so fucking close to me? I ignore her and then Dale laughs and says, “Ok, now that’s just not fair that he has two girlfriends, Lynn. Why do I never have such luck?”

 

I laugh and put my arm around Mere, “This is my girlfriend Meredith, and that’s her assistant.” I just nod over to Courtney and rub Mere’s back a little bit.

 

Dale laughs and shakes his head at my mom. “Then why don’t I have an assistant?”

 

“Mere’s also in the business.” My mom is such a dork. She said it in that voice that she uses whenever she’s trying to impress anyone. Dale just laughs at her.

 

“I see. Well I got work to do. You guys enjoy those steaks, ok?” He hands mom a package of white butcher paper with a sticker on it. Mmm, I bet he did get us some good steaks. “Good seeing you, babe.” He smiles at my mom and waves at all of us.

 

“Bye Dale.”

 

We don’t walk too far when Mom turns on her heels and says, “Oh, is Trace coming over? Do I need to get a steak for him, too?”

 

I can hear Courtney suck in a breath behind me. She needs to get over her crush or whatever for Trace ‘cause it’s not gonna last and he’ll break her heart and then we’ll have to deal with it. And like I said, she might do something stupid, ‘cause I don’t trust that girl.

 

I grit my teeth for a moment and then take a breath, “No momma, he’s having dinner with his family.”

 

She nods, looking at her list and blindly walking into the aisle with all the soup and pasta shit. Suddenly she turns and says to me, “Oh dammit, Justin go get me a bag of potatoes. I forgot.” I don’t hear her at first ‘cause I’m looking at these big bones they have for dogs. I bet my dogs would like them. Barbequed flavored? Like a dog would know. It’s so weird how people advertise dog food like the owner would want to eat it. Weird. “Justin!” I look up and say ‘huh.’ Mere is laughing at me and my momma is jerking the cart from my hands. She rolls her eyes at me. “Dammit son, you aren’t any good with this. We’ll take the cart and you come find us.”

 

I laugh. “Momma, you know I get lost in these places.”

 

I feel a hand on my chest and see that Mere is looking up at me with a bright smile under the bill of her hat. It’s actually my hat, this old red Pony one. I don’t wear it any more so I gave it to her ‘cause she wanted a “cool hat” to wear around. “I’ll help him.”

 

She pushes me back towards the produce and I pinch her sides and pout. “Don’t make fun of me.”

 

She turns, bites her lip and pulls me toward her. We’re back over by the avocados again. “I wanted to get you alone for a while.”

 

She kisses me and I pull back and look around, not seeing anyone looking but still a bit nervous. Like, when I’m teasing her its cool ‘cause I’m in control, but sometimes with Mere I don’t know what she’s gonna do. It’s exciting as hell and she’s always surprising me, but right now she looks like she wants to get down on her knees and do something right here in the supermarket. And as much as I’d love it, my mom wouldn’t and Johnny wouldn’t and I’m sure her manager Angie wouldn’t.

 

Angie’s a pretty cool girl. I mean, for one of those stuck up business people type. We had a long talk when we were filming that video and she’s been around for a while in the business and seems to really care about Mere. Oh, and that video….boy, was that some damn fun. I don’t think I’ve had that much fun making a video in a long while. My girl was looking fine and I got to be up on her and yeah…

 

And when we got home that night we hung out with Trace a little bit and then took a shower together and she gave me a hand job in there and I fingered her on my bed afterwards and then we passed out together all naked. It was nice, real nice.

 

“I’m not making out with you in public, missy.”

 

She seems not to care and runs her hands up my chest, over my shirt and locks them behind my neck, looking up at me. “You look so fucking hot today. Are you sure your momma doesn’t mind if we sleep in the same bed?”

 

I shrug and put my arms around her and hug her for a second. I would never be able to do this anywhere else. It’s kind of cool. Here in Millington I kind of get my privacy. Sure people talk and they gossip and spread rumors around but no one, at least no one I grew up with or that knows my family, would sell anything or tell any reporter what they saw. When I come home I’m ignored and usually the paparazzi doesn’t find me, just on rare occasions. It’s like instead of being some celebrity or something, I’m just the popular town guy, like the quarterback of the football team or something. I matter and people care about what’s going on with me and want to know and sometimes stare, but it’s different here. People don’t freak out.

 

Here, I’m just Justin.

 

“My momma don’t care. She lets me do what I want.”

 

She licks her lips and pushes her breasts against me. “And what do you want right now?”

 

I narrow my eyes. “Why are you teasing me in a freaking grocery store?”

 

She smiles and laughs and it’s makes me a little weak. Her fucking laugh makes me weak. Shit, I got it bad. “Because your southern accent has come out full blast and you’re so relaxed and at ease and so well mannered and you’re like this sexy southern gentleman…”

 

“Oh, so that’s what gets you hot?”

 

She smiles and shakes a little. “I wish. It’s cold as hell in here.”

 

It’s stupid and pig headed, but I can’t help myself. I look at her chest. I start to grin and bite my lip. Her tank top has thin straps and I think its one of those with the little built in thing. I don’t know. All I know is that it’s not holding back the fact that she’s cold. Not at all and she’s got some cleavage, too. I want to kiss her there. “I can tell. You should know better than not wearing a bra in a supermarket, girl.”

 

She leans into me and kisses me for a moment. “I was hoping you’d notice.”

 

“You little whore.”

 

I see her look around for a moment and then she whispers, “Pencil dick” and sucks on my bottom lip.

 

This girl is dangerous. Code Red. Fuckin’ off the charts.

 

And she’s mine and I love it.

 

“Oh hell no, bitch.” I say to her and she just laughs and scampers from around me, picks up a sack of potatoes and smiles.

 

“What you gonna do about it?” She laughs and I come up close to her and she says in a quiet voice, “Threaten me with your skinny penis?”

 

“You want it, don’t you?”

 

She walks backwards down the next aisle where my mom and Courtney are looking at something and talking. I glance at them, but when Mere starts to talk I look back down at her. She’s looking at me like she wants me. She’s got the slightly opened mouth, the slightly narrowed eyes and the flush against her cheeks. She looks beautiful and sexy. She says in a low voice, “You have no idea. I want it deep and hard and fast…” Immediately she turns and walks over to where my mom is and says, “Courtney, do you like pickles?”

 

“I like the sweet ones.”

 

I waste no time and go right up to her and tickle her sides. She laughs and twists away and smiles at me. “Me too!” She leans and whispers, “I like to suck on them.”

 

I grab the potato sack out of her hand and pull her to me and start tickling her some more. I don’t whisper when I say back to her, “Girl you need to stop! I’m serious.”

 

“What’s going on?” My mom sounds like she use to when I was in elementary school and me and Trace would mess around with the other kids.

 

I let go of Meredith and put the potatoes on the bottom tier of the cart. It’s amazing. We’re gonna be here five days and we’re stocking up like we’re moving to a deserted island. “Nothing momma. My girlfriend is just mean.”

 

A lady that looks kind of familiar walks past the end of the aisle and the sound of squeaking sneakers follows her. A brown headed kid about nine runs past, looks down the aisle and stops. He stares at me and then waves, “Hi Justin…”

 

I have no idea who the kid is, but I smile. “What’s up…”

 

The lady comes back into view and looks down the aisle and sighs, “Hey Lynn, sorry.” The kid is still waving at me. I think that lady goes to church with momma. Not sure. “Christopher come on…” She pulls the kid away and suddenly someone’s hugging me from behind.

 

“You’re so cute, like everyone just adores you around here.”

 

I laugh and pull away from her a bit. “I’m annoying as hell, don’t let them fool you.”

 

I decide that we need to calm it down a little bit. I love my girl and all, but we are in public and I know Millington is pretty damn safe. I know I can kind of be myself but still, we’re being annoying. Even if we weren’t like famous or whatever, we’re probably being a little too affectionate in public. So instead of messing around with my girl some more, I move closer to my momma and I ask her about her lists, making fun of her ‘cause she’s now on page two.

 

We go down the snack food aisle and then end up on the cereal aisle. Mom’s more concerned with getting down to the end where the granola bars are and I just stop pushing the cart and let the three of them keep walking and stand there in shock. I look to my right and look back at them.

 

“Are you serious? You’re just gonna walk right by that?”

 

She turns to me and sighs when she sees the sign I’m looking at. Four General Mills brand cereal boxes for eight bucks. I mean, come on now! “Justin I don’t need four boxes of cereal.”

 

“Well I do.” I start pulling off some stuff. Yeah Cinnamon Toast Crunch, haven’t had that in forever. And Smacks! Oh shit.

 

Mere’s laughing at me and I realize that while I’m putting the boxes in the cart, my mom is taking them out and handing them to Courtney, saying, “Will you put those back for me? Thank you, dear.”

 

Courtney laughs and that kind of annoys me. I mean, it’s cool when mom and Mere laugh at me, but not her.

 

I know, I know. I’m acting like a little child. I’m being a dick to her, but that’s how I feel so whatever.

 

Meredith and Courtney lag behind, probably still laughing at me, so I take the opportunity and push the cart up by my mom and walk with her and ask, “So what do you think so far?”

 

I look behind us at my girl. Damn, what a smile. My mother gives me a look and shakes her head. “Do you really have to ask me that?”

 

“I don’t know momma, I just…” I sigh. Ya know, I’ve dated around a lot the past few years. I haven’t really been able to find a girl that keeps my interest. And I know, you could say that maybe Mere will end up being the same way. I know we basically just goof around together and talk about random shit and make out. But she’s got something. And as much as I hate to compare her to my past, she, she reminds me of Britney, or at least who I had wished Britney would become.

 

I mean she’s so different now and changed. Hell, so am I. I haven’t talked to her in forever, though. And Meredith, she’s like the girl I want to be with. And I know its just starting and I know we’ll have bad times ahead and I know there’s so much more to her that she hasn’t shown me. But, like when she took me back, that day when she was laying in bed, crying to me ‘cause I had fucked up, and that night, God that night we swam naked together. Those times prove to me that this isn’t just for fun. This isn’t just because she’s hot and is a great kisser and looks good next to me.

 

This is because she’s awesome. She makes me feel that thing, deep, deep down. She eases my mind. And it’s not just like she’s hot and fine, because she is.

 

But she’s beautiful, too. And there are a lot of girls out there that are sexy and hot but sure as fuck aren’t beautiful.

 

I look behind me. She’s smiling again.

 

I haven’t been breathless over a girl in years.

 

“She’s wonderful, baby.”

 

I sigh and smile at my mom. “She’s different momma.” I turn the aisle and rub my forehead a little bit. We got up early this morning to get on the plane and I didn’t sleep well last night for some weird reason. Probably ‘cause Mere wasn’t with me. I shouldn’t be getting this dependant on a girl. Not again. That was the problem last time. I needed her too much. “It scares me shitless.”

 

“You’ll be fine, baby.” She pats my back for a moment and then laughs, “Now this assistant girl. Is she always this quiet?”

 

Why did she have to bring her up? Well, I know why. My mom’s about as cautious of having strangers over in her house as I am. She’s a great hostess and all, but she’s curious and cautious about girls. “I don’t know, Trace knows her better than me and Mere seems to like her, but I don’t know.”

 

“She’s nice and very polite.”

 

“I guess.” I shrug and my mother eyes me carefully. Shit, now I’m making her worry about Courtney. She’s not that bad really. I just don’t like her and don’t trust her. But Mere does and she helps her out a lot so, that’s something.

 

I guess.

 

Suddenly there’s a tap on my shoulder, and I turn and Mere’s there with a smile and a cell phone.

 

“It’s for you…”

 

I stare at her. “But it’s your phone.”

 

She laughs at me. “I know, but it’s for you.”

 

I take the phone and she laughs and runs back over to Courtney. I look at her and Courtney’s rolling her eyes and laughing, too. Is this some joke? “Uh, hello?” I say and continue to follow my mom and push the cart.

 

“Justin! Megan here, how’s things?”

 

Weird. I don’t know who I was expecting it to be, but I wasn’t expecting her. “Oh um, hey, fine. And yourself?”

 

“Peachy. How’s home?”

 

“Great.” It’s quiet on the line. Really quiet. It’s awkward. “Um, Megan, not to sound like an ass, but is there something you want?”

 

She laughs. “Can’t I just want to talk to my best friend’s boyfriend?”

 

“I guess, you just, you seem like you’re up to something.”

 

“Oh, well I totally am.” She laughs some more. That girl is crazy. She’s got a great personality, but she’s a little nuts. Not like bad nuts, just fun. Very outspoken, too. Which kind of makes me worried right now. “I just have a few things I wanna chat with you about. First off, you treating her well? Everything ok?”

 

I’m starting to get nervous. The plastic on this cart handle is making my palms sweat. “I think so.”

 

“No more getting high and calling her a bitch?”

 

I sigh, “Look…”

 

She cuts me off. “Cause I’ll come down there and kick your ass, you know that right?”

 

I know I deserve this. I know she has every right to say this to me, but it still doesn’t mean I wanna hear it. “Yeah, I know. I’ve learned my lesson.”

 

“Ok second,” she laughs a little. “I graduate soon. So really try not to schedule anything too adventurous with her in three weeks because I’m coming to visit her whether she likes it or not. And I’d prefer it if she wasn’t out of the country or something.”

 

“I’ve got promo to do anyway, so I think you’re set on that. Just as long as you don’t take her out to a strip club.” I laugh, but I’m still kind of nervous.

 

“Well, thanks for ruining my plans. And thirdly, when are you going to fuck the girl?”

 

I stop the cart. I blink. Did she just say that? Like really say that? “Whoa, what?”

 

“Aren’t I delightful?”

 

I can’t believe this. She just….what? Ok wait, does that mean Mere wants it? Wait or... What? “Are you serious?”

 

“Well kind of.” Oh my god, she really sounds serious. I look back at Mere. She’s yawning. Man, does she want to fuck me? I mean, I know she wants to. But is she all ready and everything? Oh my god. “I mean she wants it and I think she’s like planning it out for pretty soon. Like actually planning it. So just some advice about Mere, if you don’t know this already, a lot of times she can work things up in her mind and if they don’t go 100% according to plan she gets really confused and upset and it’s not pretty.”

 

“Ok.” I feel out of breath and lightheaded.

 

“And also, well, I don’t think she’s told you this and she hasn’t really come out and said it to me directly, but you know she’s like completely, totally in love with you, right?”

 

I stop the cart for a moment, but start pushing it again. It’s one thing to think it, but to hear it is another. Even though it’s not from Meredith’s mouth, it kind of hits me hard, right in the chest. It makes me terrified and happy at the same time. It’s a weird feeling and my stomach starts to ache. “Well I guess…”

 

“Justin, you don’t have to play it off.”

 

I suck in a breath. “Yeah, I mean. I know she hasn’t said it but, I guess I can kind of sense it.”

 

“So don’t throw that away. You mean a hell of a lot to her and I know right now she’s just silly and fun and messing around with you, but there’s more to it than just having fun to her. It takes her a while to open up like that, but when she does you’re gonna realize there’s a lot more to her than what you see now.”

 

“Ok. I mean, I figured I just…”

 

She cuts me off again. “Now do you love her back?” I blink. This is too much information too fast. She wants to have sex with me, she’s ready for it and she loves me. And I think somewhere in my mind I knew this stuff but I just hadn’t really thought about it all that much. And now I can’t stop thinking about it. Honestly, it’s making me a little dizzy. I don’t know what to say. I mean, I care about her more than almost anyone. So, I guess I love her. I mean, I do love her, but I don’t know if I’m in love with her. I want to be, I just don’t know if it’s too soon. I mean, it’s been a while since I’ve been in this situation.

 

Suddenly, I hear a groan over the phone. “Shit, so that’s a no.”

 

I guess she says that because I haven’t said anything in response. I shake my head and quickly cover it up. Plus, if I did love Mere I don’t wanna be telling it to Megan. I…I’d want to talk to Mere about it, or at least Trace first. “I didn’t say that! I just, why are we having this conversation?”

 

“Cause Meredith is one of the most important people in my life. We’re best friends Justin, but it’s more than that. We’ve been together through more shit than you know, more than just some tabloid making up some shit about us. If her heart gets broken or if you don’t feel a certain way towards her that might end up hurting her in the end, I need to know so that I can deal with it.”

 

“Like what? Shoot me.”

 

“No, but if you aren’t in love with her, you need to tell her that shit. Don’t you dare lead her on!”

 

That makes sense. But what do I do if I don’t know if I love her? Ok, so then if I do and I tell her things might change and everything is so damn good right now. “Ok, yes ma’am.”

 

“So tell me, how do you feel about her?”

 

I sigh. My mom is now in the diary aisle. I’ve been following her around all through this migraine inducing conversation. Mere and Courtney are with her, picking out ice cream. Mere looks at me for a moment, smiles and I look away. This is just awkward. “Megan you’re, you’re making me really uncomfortable. I don’t think I have to explain…”

 

Suddenly Meredith is next to me, her hand on mine, prying the phone from my ear. “What is she saying? Give me that!” I should probably struggle or something or tell her its ok, but I easily let her take the phone and I can hear her say, “What the hell, Meg?...No, what did you say?”

 

I sigh in relief and follow my mother to where she’s headed towards the check out area. “You ok there? You look a little pale.”

 

I almost jump at her voice. I don’t look at her, but I know she’s right beside me and I wish she would just leave me the fuck alone. The last person I want to talk to right now is Courtney. “I’m fine.”

 

“Don’t worry. She called me a few days ago and lectured me on making sure I didn’t have any ulterior motives. She must be a great best friend but maybe a little off her rocker.”

 

“No, no…” I rub my forehead, staring at the picture of me and Meredith and Paris Hilton on the cover of Star. The big story is a Brangelina fiasco but in the corner there’s this horrible picture of me. Apparently, I’m cheating on Meredith with Paris. I haven’t even seen that crazy girl in like a month. I don’t even know Paris that well. It’s amazing, really. “She’s not off her rocker she just, she cares. She’s making me think about some things. That’s it. Look, don’t worry about it.”

 

“I spend about as much time with Meredith as you do Justin. So if you want a female opinion on a situation I’ll be glad to give it.”

 

“Nothing, nothing just forget it.” I shake my head and look away from the tabloids. My mother is rolling her eyes at me, her check book open and her pointing to the old man who looks like he might keel over at any time at the end of the counter.

 

“Justin, would you help the man bag!”

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

I’m thankful for the distraction and go and help the guy bag the groceries. He smiles at me. He has no teeth. Sometimes I wonder how I’ll be when I get old, like if I’ll be married and have grandkids. I’d like that. I’d like to be like my grandfather and just be chill and kick ass and tell all these crazy stories. I look at Meredith, she’s on the phone still. I sometimes wonder if she’s the one. I know that’s a God awful cheesy thing to say but at times I can see her, sitting in a rocker, knitting something, or complaining about the weeds growing in her garden. She’d give piano lessons to the local kids ‘cause she’s phenomenal at the piano and we’d be old together. And she’d have to remind me to take my arthritis medicine and we would be old and wrinkly and gross and it would be wonderful.

 

I laugh.

 

I’m a freak sometimes.

 

Before I realize it, I’m pulling my sunglasses up over my eyes as we head towards the car and my mom is now on her cell phone and Courtney’s on hers, too. I don’t know who she’s talking to but she’s giggling in this weird way. And I think she just said my name. She better not be talking about me. Mom pops the back of her car and I lift it up and start to put the groceries in there for her. I think she’s on the phone with Dad. I wonder if he’d want to go play golf sometime. I wonder if Mere would wanna go.

 

Suddenly I hear a sigh and someone is helping me pull out the paper bags of groceries. I think mom bought out the damn store. “I’m so sorry about her.” Mere says to me.

 

“Don’t be, she just cares about you. Trace use to do the same thing with me but after the fifth girl he backed off and saw I could fend for myself.”

 

“I just…” She sighs and I help her lift the case of beer I snuck onto the bottom of the cart. “I haven’t dated in a while and she’s worried about me being heart broken.”

 

“Come here…” I pull her into me. It feels good to hug her like this. It’s different from in the store when we were being all teasing and playful. She feels good against me and I rub her back and kiss her cheek. I bend down a bit and look at her. I realize I’m looking at her through my sunglasses and that kind of defeats the purpose of me trying to look her in the eyes, but oh well. “I have no plans to break your heart. I have no plans to break up with you any time soon, actually, ever that I see. You’re…you’re one of the best things that’s happened to me, you know that right?”

 

She smiles and lunges forward, her arms around my neck, her lips against mine. I love it when she’s like this. It’s like out of a god damn movie or something. It’s like I really am the only person that matters to her. I love that I can say little things like this and it makes her day and makes her so happy.

 

I love making her happy. It’s what I live for really. She’s got the best smile and the best laugh. And I love it.

 

I…I love her.

 

I do.

 

She pulls away for a moment and I can’t stop myself. I pull her back and kiss her again.

 

And then my mom, with her impeccable timing, comes back and pats me on the arm and says to Mere, “Baby, I love you and think you are wonderful, but this is gonna be a problem if you keep distracting my son.”

 

I laugh and hug my momma. I love Meredith. I really do.

 

Shit. I’m fucking in love with her. And I’m terrified and I’m scared and I pray I don’t fuck it up. And my stomach hurts and my head hurts.

 

And I’m so happy.

 

“Momma, I’m sorry I can’t help it that my girlfriend is fiiiinnnneee…”

 

She just rolls her eyes at me and takes my hands and places them on the handle of the cart. “Put the cart back and get in the car, hot shot.”

 

I just laugh and watch my mother shake her head and get in the car. Meredith does, too. I guess Courtney is already in there.

 

I love her. I’m in love with her. It’s so fucking great!

 

I push the cart and it rolls into the little parking spot for them in the lot and crashes against the rest.

 

Shit.

 

I love her.

 

And that means I gotta tell her.

 

How the hell am I gonna tell her?
Chapter 16 by Mere

Off Old Riverview Road, 3:53 p.m.

 

I turn off the main road at the dented, rusty mailbox there where Riverview makes a sharp left turn. The tires spin a moment on the gravel and the car bumps and dips as we make our way down the familiar road. I look over at the girl in the passenger seat. She’s got her arms over her chest, and she’s glaring, staring out of the window at the woods, avoiding me and doing her best to act like she hates me. I bite my lip and try not to laugh. She’s looking hot as fuck today, this little white button down shirt and this knee length black skirt. The scowl on her face makes her look so sexy. She was the one that bitched when I told her instead of errands we were gonna go visit my grandpa. She pitched a fit and claimed she never agreed to meet my family, that she didn’t want me showing her off like she was my date.

 

I held my tongue and didn’t say anything about the fact that she was the one dressed up, she was the one that was looking sexy and fine, looking like a fucking “date.” All I had told her was that I wanted to get her out of Justin’s house and show her around Millington and maybe grab a bite to eat before we went into Memphis to do some shit I needed to do. I told her we could go shopping if she wanted. And I hate shopping.

 

But then my mom bitched me out, told me to take her car to get the oil changed and to go see grandpa. So here I am, driving down five miles of dirt road with Courtney. And I guess a part of me does want to show her off. I plan on making her meet my grandpa and then after that I’m gonna go by my mom’s place to drop her car off and get mine and that way she’ll have to meet my mom. It’s not like she’s my girlfriend or that I even want her to be that. But if my mom thinks I’m dating someone, oh lord will she be thrilled and maybe get off my back just a smidge.

 

So I guess I’m kind of using Courtney, but she’ll get over it.

 

Mom’s been on my case since I’ve gotten home. She told me that I don’t come home enough, and that my brother and sister need me around more, that Grandpa’s health is getting worse and I need to be around or I’ll regret it. My dad just laughed at her and passed me a beer and told me to stay out of trouble. He always does that. He’s always so relaxed and chilled. I don’t know. I love my mom but damn, I guess part of my wanting to go to Memphis today was to get out of that damn house. I needed some freedom. Normally I’d just retreat to Justin’s and we’d just shit around, play basketball or X-box, but he’s got his girl. And well…shit.

 

It wasn’t Justin who called me up and asked me if I could take Courtney out today so they could be alone. It was Meredith. I know what this means. Meredith was nervous on the phone and shy. She kept giggling. Which means she’s gonna fuck his brains out and I’m going to hear about it all tomorrow when I go golfing with him and Randy. Of course, I’ll probably get jealous and it’ll fuck up my game and then I’ll be more pissed off.

 

I wish I could fuck Courtney.

 

Ugh, I need to stop being an ass.

 

She’s really getting hotter. Like every time I look at her she just gets sexier. She doesn’t really wear khakis as much anymore and I’ve seen her in skirts and jeans, but she’s always looking classy. Like Mere will bum around in shorts and a tank top and I guess its hot cause she’s always showing her legs off and shit, but Courtney, that girl leaves it to the imagination. She makes you think. She makes you wonder if she’s got on lacy panties underneath, or if she’s got on any…

 

Anyway, I can see her legs today and they’re long…and smooth. At least, they look that way.

 

I gotta stop this. This girl is clouding my mind and I’m just not ready for this shit. I’m still fucked up. Hell, like half a year ago I was engaged. I’m just not ready and she’s confusing the hell out of me. Like last night. Last night I went and hung out at Justin’s. His parents went out of town and we kind of had a little party with the home town gang, well, the few that were still around. And I left kind of early because my brother called and wanted to know if I could come pick him up at one of his friends.

 

She followed me to the car.

 

And she was drunk. Ok, she wasn’t as drunk as some other girls there, but she was tipsy.

 

She grabbed me from behind and told me not to leave and made out with me in the driveway. And it’s weird. Ever since we made up at the video shoot, it’s been weird between us, weirder than it was before. Before I thought she hated me, but now that I know she doesn’t, man, I don’t know. It’s like I’m just sitting around waiting for something to happen. And we’ve hung out. A couple nights after the shoot I took her out and it was nice. We talked about all sorts of shit. I always pegged her for an only child but nope, she’s got an older brother. Apparently her parents had her kind of late and they’re both in their mid 60s. They live in Florida and she doesn’t see them much.

 

And her brother is married and lives in Texas. She doesn’t get to see much of her family.

 

But I guess that don’t really matter, what matters is that afterwards I brought her back to the guest house at Justin’s where I pretty much live. She was acting a little nervous so I talked to her about it and we had another conversation about what was going on with us and she told me that she didn’t want me to think that she was ready to have sex with me. She said she wasn’t. She said she didn’t want to.

 

Then we made out on my couch.

 

But I was careful not to push and we didn’t do much, just the normal shit, kissing and hands over clothes. But damn did I wanna get underneath.

 

A few nights later, she was at Mere’s and I came over. Justin was doing rehearsals with Marty and I bounced ‘cause I was bored as hell. Meredith called me and told me to come over. Little girl is playing match maker with me and Courtney and its cute but she’s gonna have her hopes crushed. ‘Cause we’re not gonna date or fall in love like I think she wants us to. We’re just playing around until she gets tired of me or until I find a girl worth it.

 

Not to say that Courtney’s not worth it. I just can’t see us in a relationship. It just wouldn’t work. We’d fight and rip our heads off and then we’d be bloody and dead and that’s no fun.

 

Don’t think it’s been all fun though the past week. We’ve argued, too. She told me I was taking too much liberty with her, trying to make her into something she wasn’t, which was a fuck buddy. Again I tried to ask her what would be so bad about that and she just scoffed and rolled her eyes and said something about me probably having a STD. I don’t. But it made me laugh cause of that time that Justin thought he had one like five years ago.

 

It was hilarious.

 

He says he’s clean, something about it just being dry skin. I got grossed out and told him just to shut up and not ever talk to me about dry skin again. But sometimes I call him ‘herpwerp’ just to piss him off.

 

“Fuckin’ great.”

 

I shake my head. I guess she’s referring to that fact that it’s starting to rain. It’s not even that heavy, it’s just rain. Maybe she’s getting her period. I know that’s such a typical guy thing to say, but really, maybe she is. ‘Cause she’s been bitchy ever since the moment I told her our plans had changed. She seems kind of paranoid of that. Of changing things without her consent. “I asked God to do that, ya know, to start raining just to piss you off. So go ahead and blame it on me like I know you want.”

 

“Asshole.” I laugh but she just rolls her eyes and stares straight in front of us. Shit, mom needs to get her wiper blades redone. Maybe I’ll just go get a whole service done after we see gramps. Tires rotated, new wipers, oil change, engine check, etc.

 

“How the hell am I an asshole?” I ask as the road starts to turn. There’s a pretty big puddle and we splash through it. God, ma. I should have taken dad’s pick up, not her Taurus. Yeah, I admit it. I’m driving a Taurus. I’ve tried to buy her a Benz or a Beemer, but she doesn’t want it. She doesn’t like fancy things. Makes her nervous or something.

 

“Because you just are.”

 

I know I got her in a corner when she makes horrible comebacks. It means she’s angry with me for no reason. She’s just trying to distance herself from me because she feels like she’s getting too close. It’s amazing how I can just pick her brain and know what she’s thinking sometimes. “You weren’t saying that last night.” Other times I don’t know what the hell she’s thinking about.

 

She gives me this tone, this really chiding tone like I’m some stupid teenager. “I had a few too many beers and thought that you were Jared Leto.”

 

Oh thanks bitch for making me feel better. “You’re pathetic.”

 

“Oh, am I really?”

 

I grin and figure I’ll throw her for a loop. I reach over and touch her knee and move it up her thigh a bit. Yup, her legs are real smooth. “Pathetic, but hot as hell.”

 

She takes my hand and throws it to me and smacks my shoulder. “Oh shut up! Don’t touch me!”

 

“Come on, you know you’re glad to be out of that house and away from those two.”

 

She makes some little noise to show me how disgusted she is to be here with me. God, if I wasn’t so attracted to her I wouldn’t put up with this childish bull shit. “No I’d rather be with them right now.”

 

“What with Justin’s bad attitude and Meredith’s constant groping of him? Sure. You know you feel like the third wheel with them. Don’t deny it.” I know she does because I’ve felt it. They’re just getting worse. Maybe it’ll calm down once they fuck, but damn, they’re like fifteen year olds in heat who just found out that its fun to touch each other. They’re always, always up on each other. You should have seen them last night at the party.

 

It was actually pretty funny ‘cause some of the hometown girls, like Jen and Katie who still think they have a chance with him, were all pissed off and rolled their eyes. They’re nice girls but I tell you one thing, if Justin wasn’t famous, they’d make fun of him like they do the rest of us guys and not give a shit. They’d talk about how there’s no guy worth it in Millington and sip on their beer and talk about how much they want to move.

 

But they’ll never move.

 

It’s true though. If he wasn’t famous they wouldn’t give a shit. And I’m not trying to say anything bad about him ‘cause, ya know, he’s like my brother, my best friend, and I love him. But he really isn’t as cool as he seems. I know I’m not cool, hell, I know I’m a fucking freak half the time. But he’s more of a freak than I am. He’s a loser. He knows it, too. He actually gets a kick out of it when people call him cool. He usually just looks at me and makes his weird face, ‘cause he knows I know its bull shit.

 

“I’d rather be there, than in the rain on some dirt road with you!”

 

I laugh at her again. “Oh, so you’d rather hear Justin’s orgasm noises than go meet a very hilarious old man? How nice.”

 

“I’d rather do that than hang-” There’s this loud popping sound and at first I think its just really close lightening. Then I realize what it is. The dirt road is pretty smooth and packed down at this part and we’re hobbling along in the car bouncing like hell. “What was that!”

 

“Shit…” I press the break and put the car in park. I know what just happened and it sucks ‘cause it’s raining and its still two miles to my grandpas and three miles back to the main road. And my grandpa’s old and I hate to have him come out here in the rain to help me put on the spare.

 

“What…” It’s a pissed off voice, but this time I don’t think she’s pissed at me. I really wish she’d have a better attitude. I mean as much as it’s all sexy and hot when she’s angry, it can get on my last damn nerve.

 

“Just hang on…” I open up the door, take the keys out and suddenly it’s like the nice late spring rain turns into a late summer soaking. There’s nothing I can do. I don’t have a hat or a coat or an umbrella, so I just suck it up and look at the front tire. It’s not just flat, it’s busted. Fucking blown out. Shit. I sigh, I know I’m not going to be able to change this by myself and I hope she can stand to get a little wet.

 

‘Cause I’ll be damned if she doesn’t help me. I’ll fuckin’ drag her out of the car if I have to. I come around to her side of the car, open the door just a smidge and wipe the water off my face. My clothes are sticking to me, my shorts, my shirt, my shoes…oh shit my shoes are ruined. And Justin and I just bought these suckers.

 

“We had a blow out. Can you come help me with the spare?”

 

“Are you serious?”

 

I glare at her and her fake surprised expression. “No, it’s ok. I’ll just ask my little imaginary friend to do it with me. Come on, cut the attitude and help me out.”

 

She makes another one of her disgusted noises, blows the hair out of her face and pulls her hair back a bit and lets it fall down again by her face. She rolls her eyes and I move when I see she’s getting out of the car. I feel kind of bad, though. I mean I’m just in a shirt and shorts. Yeah my shoes are ruined but I’ll get another pair. She looks nice and I bet her makeup and shit is gonna be ruined. And its muddy and she’s just in these cute expensive looking flip floppy heels. Oh well, I’ll buy her a new outfit or something.

 

I run around to the back and open the trunk. There’s this flap thing at the bottom of the trunk bed and I open it to find the spare and the jack and shit there underneath. This actually might be kind of entertaining to have her help me change a tire. I wonder if she’s ever done it before. I look at her, and she’s not smiling.

 

She hits the tire with her hand and shakes her head, yelling at me. “You idiot! It’s a fucking flat, too!”

 

I reach in and touch the rubber of the tire. It’s flat, real flat. Shit, my mom is so clueless sometimes. Well damn this just sucks ass. “It’s not my fault. My mom sometimes…” I sigh and look at her again. She’s pissed, I think if I didn’t know any better her head might explode. “…forgets things.”

 

She turns to me after stomping around on the dirty gravel for a moment. I’d laugh, but I’m afraid she might kill me. She spreads her arms out and yells at me. “Like an umbrella. I always keep an umbrella in the car just in case. Your mom needs a reality check!”

 

That pisses me off. She doesn’t have the right to say that shit. She’s just making up excuses to be mad now. And its kind of ridiculous cause she’s looking…looking really good out in the rain, all wet, her hair all limp now and soaked. Her eye makeup is smudging a bit and her white button down…..well, its not really white anymore. It’s...transparent.

 

I can see her bra. Shit, I can see her bra.

 

“Don’t be talking shit about my mom!” I slam the trunk down and glare at her, mainly because I wanna stare at her boobs but also because I don’t want her thinking I’m just sitting here getting lusty when really I am pissed off that she said that about my mom. “She cleaned it out ‘cause I was taking it to the shop and she always cleans her car before she does that.”

 

She rolls her eyes and stomps over to me and leans against the car. “So what do we do? Just sit here and wait for Davie Crockett to come save us?”

 

“I’ll call my grandpa.” I shrug. I guess I’ll have to now. I could call a towing company. I could call Justin. Shit, this sucks. I wish she’d be a little more reasonable.

 

“And what will he do? I thought you said he was old and sick.”

 

I lash out and step up at her. She’s fucking ridiculous. An insane bitch. “Just shut up, ok?!”

 

“No! I won’t.” She pretty much spits at me. Like not literally, but she’s flaming pissed. And I can’t help but look at her breasts that are all stuck with her shirt. “Because of your sorry ass HAVING to go see your little feeble grandpa who happens to live in bumfuck redneck, USA. And I get, of course, I get fucking dragged along.” She looks down at her feet and I guess they are a little muddy, little flecks of dirt stuck to her ankles and toes. Her toes are cute and painted this pink color. I would never have picked her as a pink kind of girl. Red’s her color, not like hooker red, but deep red, burgundy red. Sexy red. “And now my shoes are getting ruined, and it’s fucking muddy and I’m soaked and I’d rather go home!”

 

I laugh in her face and narrow my eyes. She’s just yelling for no reason and it’s ridiculous. But it’s hot. “Why are you being a bitch?”

 

Then she slaps me.

 

She fucking slaps me on my cheek and it burns and stings and I look at her, completely shocked. She seems just as shocked as I am. I guess a part of me needed that to smack some sense into me and stop staring at her breasts. But dammit that hurt and she had no fucking right to do that to me.

 

And…and actually she looks hot, with the rain all over her lips, her trying to lick it off. Maybe that slap wasn’t a good thing. Cause it was a touch, painful and aggressive but really strangely sexy.

 

Suddenly, I can’t control myself and I grab her wrists and turn her until her back is against the car. She tries to break free of me but I have too good of a grip. “Stop it,” I say in a low voice.

 

I want her to know what she did was wrong. Hitting me like that was stupid. Like I probably shouldn’t have called her a bitch, but dammit she was acting like one. You can’t blame me there ‘cause she really was acting ridiculous.

 

“Let me go.” Her voice isn’t pissed off anymore. It’s not angry and it’s not upset. It’s quiet, a little timid maybe, maybe scared, but not like super fearful.

 

Her eyes are big and she’s staring at me.

 

“No…” I say calmly and step closer to her so she can’t get away. She struggles for a moment but then sighs and relaxes. “Don’t you put your hands on me again.” She licks her lips and I can’t help it. I can’t control myself. I just can’t. It’s like she possesses me. I push myself against her just a little bit, just a smidge and I smile at her. “Unless…”

 

“Stop it.” Her voice is breathy. Either she’s about to knee me in the balls or kiss me.

 

Or both. I wouldn’t put it past her.

 

I smile and tilt my head and kiss her cheek real quickly. This is what I like, the subdued Courtney. Not that I’m trying to be some oppressive man that wants women to be passive and shit. I don’t. I like when women are in control, but 2 seconds ago she wasn’t. She was out of control. And it’s weird ‘cause I think she was going nuts and being out of control in an attempt to gain control of herself around me. Kind of some deep mental stuff going on there. If she can just put on this front of being angry she won’t fall, she won’t wanna kiss me and she won’t actually like being with me.

 

I think she likes being with me. “Stop what…” I say. I could kiss her right now.

 

I should kiss her. But I don’t.

 

I just push myself against her a little bit more so she can feel me. “That…” Fucking girl is almost panting.

 

Shit, so am I.

 

“Why…” I dip in and kiss her neck, just lightly, like I did her cheek. I just press my lips there and pull away.

 

“Don’t do this, not here…”

 

I can’t help it. I want this girl bad. Real bad. God, she has her eyes closed and her head’s leaning back against the car, like…like she likes this. “I’m not doing anything.”

 

“Tr-trace…”

 

God, I didn’t even realize I was kissing up her neck. I mean I did. I knew I was doing it, it’s not like my mind just went blank, but it’s just now hitting me that, that this is happening. I pull back. I’m so close to her. She breaks away from me for a moment and her hands slide up over my chest to my neck. God, I hope she doesn’t push me away again. “Yes?”

 

She licks her bottom lip, bites it and pulls on my neck with her hands. She…she pulls me towards her. “Don’t stop.”

 

I surge into her. I fucking swallow that girl, my hands against the car, her’s gripping against my back, pulling me so close that it almost hurts. The metal of the car is cold and slippery but her body is warm, wet. One of my hands presses against the roof of the car and my other works greedily at the buttons on her shirt. I can’t stop kissing her, I couldn’t if there was a gun to my head or if the world was ending or some shit like that. She tastes good and her tongue is soft and her teeth tug at my lips.

 

And she’s moaning. Moaning my name, begging me not to stop, telling me if feels so good.

 

It feels so good.

 

My hands get to her skin underneath her shirt and I let my fingers skim up her stomach over her breasts, feeling her hard nipples against my palms. I push my dick into her through my sticking wet shorts. She grabs at my sides, pushing her fingers up underneath my t-shirt and undershirt to touch my skin. Shit, her hands against my skin feel good. I kiss her neck hard, and she grabs my sides and I hear her say, “hold on.”

 

I blink, pull away and she’s opening the car door to the back seat and backing into it. I follow her and we manage to cramp ourselves against the seat long ways and get the door shut. She pulls me into a kiss and I feel her hands at my shirt. It’s over my head in no time and I pull her shirt over her shoulders but it gets stuck at her elbows ‘cause its so wet, but its ok. I move my hands over the straps of her bra, its this pale pink colored mesh thing, and I can see her nipples through it and I lean down and kiss across her collar and then down to her cleavage and in between. And then I suck on one of her nipples.

 

She moans my name and I look up at her and her heads all titled back. I suck her other one and she puts her hand against my head, trying to grab onto my hair, but it’s buzzed. Her teeth are gritted and she looks sexy as fuck. She takes in a deep breath, her breasts rising as her chest expands. Her legs are spread, her skirt hiked up against her thighs and I’m pushing my crotch against the leather of the seats wishing it was her body.

 

Wishing I could get inside.

 

“Get me my purse…”

 

I blink and look up at her. She’s just staring at me. “What?”

 

She shakes her head and licks her lips. “Just get it.”

 

I scramble and climb in between the front two seats and snatch her purse from the floor of the front seat. I sit back down and hand it to her.

 

I think for a moment that maybe I’ve fucked up somewhere. I think she’s gonna call the cops on me or something and tell me this is a mistake. But she doesn’t. She searches through it like a fucking mad woman, looking for her wedding ring or a homeless man looking for a dollar. She throws out her phone and her small thing of mace, her check book and finally pulls out her wallet, flipping clumsily through all the compartments until finally she sighs in relief, laughs a bit and keeps something fisted in her hand. She then pushes herself back against the seat and gives me the look. It’s that look Justin always talks about and obsesses over in girls.

 

It’s the ‘fuck me’ look.

 

She licks her lips again and I move back to where I was.

 

She’s still breathing heavily and she lifts up, her arms around my shoulders, pulling me into a sloppy kiss.

 

Oh fuck, her hands are touching my dick. She grabs it for a second and then moves and I feel her fingers at the fly of my shorts. I almost laugh ‘cause I realize, my shorts are khakis. Kind of ironic or something, I guess. The thought fades away and I kiss her some more and move down to help her out cause it’s taking her too damn long to get my shorts undone.

 

But when I go to help I realizes she’s pushed down the front of my boxers and she’s pulling me out from my shorts. I look up at her. And…and she’s ripping open a condom package with her free hand and her teeth. Suddenly the world starts to slow down and yet strangely speed up. Like I’m in some freakish twilight zone.

 

But this ain’t scary and this ain’t creepy. This is fucking heaven.

 

It seems like a second ago we were out in the rain, yelling at each other. And now I’m here and she’s…she’s putting a condom down on me and…and…

 

And it stops. I can hear my heart thumping in my ears. I feel dizzy and I wonder, I wonder if I should do this.

 

I wonder if this is going to fuck with things. I wonder if this is going to make me go down a path I’m not ready for.

 

And I wonder why just a few days ago she was telling me she wasn’t ready to have sex with me, telling me she didn’t want to. And…and now she’s carrying condoms in her purse.

 

And now she’s lying before me, spreading her legs so I can see her black lacey panties, making her skirt bunch against her waist.

 

But then it starts up again. And it doesn’t stop. I can’t think and I can’t rationalize this. My brain shuts off. All I know is that I’m on top of a gorgeous woman who’s moaning my name and begging me ‘please’ and gripping me tight. I kiss her and feel her hand leave me for a moment, but she’s back quickly. She pulls at me again, pulls at me from there and I feel skin. Warm, wet skin against me, that certain type of skin, that feel that I’ve been craving.

 

I pull up a bit, completely out of breath and look down. She’s got her panties pulled aside and I’m against her, sliding and rubbing against her. She pulls her hands away from where she’s holding back her underwear and just holds me in her hand and pulls on my shoulders, pulls me back up against her. Her legs hike up on either of my sides and…and it happens.

 

And it doesn’t fuckin’ stop.

 

I slide into her and I can’t help myself and I’m here, I’m here having sex with her, pulling at her hips to try and get her closer. I’m staring at her mouth and her breasts and her eyes and moving in to kiss her lips hungrily and then moving down to her nipples so I can kiss her through her bra. Her nails pierce into my shoulders and I speed up, unable to control myself.

 

I can only hear her breathing my name, fuckin’ groaning my name, over and over and over again. And I can feel her around me, all fucking around me, squeezing me, pulling me into her, her body pulling me in, her hands gripping me and pulling me down. And I can’t stop.

 

I fuck her and I fuck her. She gets tighter and tighter and it doesn’t take long before her fists are hitting against my shoulders and she’s holding on. Shit I’m holding too, holding on to dear life, gripping her leg, her hip, her breasts, her neck, the seat, the car door, the front seat, anything, any damn thing that’ll keep me stable, keep me sane.

 

But there’s no hope, I’ve lost it and I’m falling down into completely utter madness. And I love it. Fuckin’ love it.

 

I feel her come. Shit, I hear her come. She screams and she’s loud and I think she cuts my shoulders with her nails. She pulls me so hard against her and her pussy squeezes me so fucking tight that I feel like she might just squeeze me off. But she doesn’t and she starts to breathe hard and starts to make this almost, hell I don’t know, purring sound. And I keep going, keep pumping into her until I let go, staring at her body in front of me. I fall against her, bucking for a few moments until I finish.

 

I blow out a big breath and lie on top of her and stare at this very, very small freckle she has on her neck.

 

It stops. Everything stops.

 

I blink.

 

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

 

I can feel her underneath me, breathing hard, her heart thumping.

 

I back up suddenly and pull out of her and she lays there for a moment. I sit there, stupefied against the back seat, with my dick all hanging out. I just stare at her. I just fucked her. I really did. She doesn’t look at me, but she stares at the ceiling of the car, and then slowly, very slowly, moves back to a sitting position, resituating her underwear and pulling down her skirt. She starts to button up her shirt.

 

I suck in a breath as she starts to throw all the stuff she threw out of her purse back into it and I do my best to pull off the used condom without making a mess. This was a very impractical idea, a damn good idea—shit, my ears are still ringing-- but a weird one. I look around me. I can’t really throw this thing out at gramps and leaving a dirty condom in my mom’s car is just…

 

I open the door and throw it out.

 

The cool air and the bit of rain, which seems to be slackening off, jolts me for a second. It’s refreshing and calms me down a bit and makes my heart stop pumping so hard. I shut the door and zip up my shorts and get everything straight. I’m still soaking wet with the rain but now I’m kind of sweaty too. I could go for a nice shower right now.

 

I rub my hand over my face.

 

Shit, that was incredible. I feel dazed, or drugged or something. And I blink a few more times and shake my head. God, I haven’t come like that in forever.

 

I look over at Courtney and now she’s just sitting there, her purse in her lap, looking out the window. I smile.

 

Miss Courtney Dawson just let me bang her. She let me inside and let me have sex with her. I really didn’t expect this and really didn’t think it would ever happen. And it was good, damn good. Maybe a little rushed and quick and I guess it’s a little awkward, but it doesn’t matter. None of that shit matters. I slide over on the seat a little closer and put my arm over the back of the seat, but I don’t touch her.

 

I lean in and say close to her ear. “Hey…”

 

She’s silent. She doesn’t even turn to look at me.

 

Uh oh…

 

I suck in a breath and pull my arm back and sit there with my hands in my lap. I look down at my knees for a moment and click my tongue against my mouth. Yeah... Ok… I mean, it’s awkward but it doesn’t have to be this awkward. I don’t really understand how she can go from screaming my name in ecstasy to being all quiet and contemplative and not looking at me. Maybe she’s just weird after sex. Hmm…

 

I sigh and stretch my arms by trying to put them over my head, but this car isn’t all that big so I get stuck half way and I yawn. Shit, I could use a nap. Wow that took it out of me.

 

“I guess I should call my grandpa.”

 

“Oh…” She starts to laugh. Um, why isn’t it a happy laugh? She still isn’t looking at me, just stares out the window that’s beaded with rain drops and starting to fog a bit. “Oh nice…real nice.”

 

“What?” She turns and stares at me. There’s no emotion there and I don’t know what’s going on. Oh shit, was I supposed to like hold her and kiss her afterwards? She wasn’t doing anything so I just backed off to give her some space ‘cause it was crowded as hell back here the way we were laying. I try to make up for it and slide right next to her and put my arm around her and kiss her cheek. “We can’t just sit here all day…unless…”

 

She pushes me away and opens the car door fast. Too fast. “Fuck off asshole! Call your fucking grandfather and don’t talk to me.”

 

I just stare at her.

 

Here enters drama. Drama I don’t want, drama I don’t need, and drama I surely didn’t ask for.

 

I don’t even know what to say. This…this is different than when she’s pushed me away before. Before she was upset at me and confused, but now… I don’t know it’s like she’s really, truly pissed off. This…this isn’t some front she’s put on.

 

“But…”

 

She stumbles out of the car and screams, like really screams, like one of those high pitched straining your vocal chords screams. “Just…just shut up!”

 

The car door slams in my face. And I watch her through the half fogged windows. She stalks around the front of the car to the passenger seat and she gets in and sits down. She doesn’t turn to look at me and she doesn’t say anything.

 

I have no idea what just happened. All I know was that she was kissing me and begging me and so I did it and…and it was a trick. It must have been. And I don’t understand it. I wanna be mad at her, I wanna yell at her and kick her out of my car and tell her she’s a bitch and she needs to grow up and if she wasn’t ready to have sex with me then she should have stopped herself.

 

But I don’t. I just sit there in my backseat for a few minutes and I stare at her and I hope she’ll turn to me and talk to me. But she never does. So I pull my phone out of my pocket and I call my grandfather. And when I’m done with that I see the rain has stopped and I go outside and I ring out my shirt the best I can, then I put it back on. I reach in the front seat and pull out my cigarettes.

 

I smoke two as I pace outside. It calms me down a bit but it doesn’t change anything. She’s still sitting in the car, not looking at me.

 

It’s then when I almost storm over to her and I almost yell at her. I grit my teeth and start to move to her door so I can yank it open and figure out what the hell is going on with us. And then I realize. Nothing’s going on with us. We had sex and she can’t handle it. I realize that I just fucked a girl who has no idea what she wants.

 

And that has nothing to do with me.
Chapter 17 by Mere

Justin’s bedroom, 8:01 p.m.

 

I try to stop myself. I really do. I don’t want him thinking I’m overly excited about this. I don’t want to embarrass myself. But I’m having a damn hard time keeping myself from laughing or smiling. It doesn’t help matters that his lips are tickling my neck and his fingers are against the skin underneath my shirt. His shirt is already off. It came off as soon as we got into his room. As soon as I kicked the door shut, right when I was kissing him and he was pulling me backwards into the room, I pushed it up his stomach and he ripped it off. But I didn’t mind. I still don’t mind. I bite my lip as he starts pushing into me, the front of his jeans against my stomach.

 

It started about twenty minutes--wait, no. It really started yesterday afternoon when his mom and dad left. They have some wedding to go to in Nashville and are gonna stay a couple nights there. We watched them pull out of the drive way, waving with his mom’s dogs barking at our feet. When they were out of sight Justin looked at me and he gave me this little grin. Then he whispered in my ear to get inside and get naked. And I would have. But when we got inside Courtney was on the couch watching TV, telling us that Trace just called and that he was coming over.

 

Then they had the bright idea to have some friends over, which was fine, but I passed out before I was able to get to do what I really wanted to do with him.

 

This afternoon when Trace picked up Court, I decided not to rush it, to make it last and do my plan. I actually have it planned. I know that’s kind of a stupid dorky thing, but I want this to be perfect. So I made us dinner, just some pasta and a salad ‘cause that’s really all I know how to make. But it was good and he seemed to enjoy it.

 

After dinner we went and sat on his couch and I was gonna seduce him there, maybe go down on him or something, but he turned on the tv. Yeah, that kind of annoyed me, but then fate worked in my favor. There was this commercial for a local guitar and music shop and I told him how depressed I was that I didn’t know how to play guitar. I was being honest. I really wanna learn how to play. He just stared at me, and then he shook his head, laughing a bit. He told me to sit tight.

 

He came back like a minute later with one of his guitars in hand, and he sat back against the couch with it and started to strum a little. He took my hand and made me press down the right way on the strings to make a certain chord. I wasn’t really learning a damn thing, ‘cause he was looking fine and I was staring at him. His shirt was tight against his muscles and he kept biting his lip as he was playing. He started to sing.

 

I stared at him and then called his name.

 

I told him to put the guitar down.

 

I guess I kind of attacked him there on the couch. He laughed at me, he’s always laughing at me. But it’s never like a mean laugh, just kind of content and it makes me happy. Unless he’s picking on me with Trace and being an ass.

 

So we were making out on the couch pretty heavily and he was the one that whispered “do you wanna go upstairs.” We made our way up here, kissing the whole way. At one point he pinned me against the wall and I knew I was in trouble. I had a plan and it was to make this last and with the way he was kissing me and touching me I was about ready to go right there.

 

And as hot as it would be to fuck in a hallway, I really didn’t want my first time with Justin to be against a wall where I was forced to stare at baby pictures of him.

 

But we’re in his room, his huge bedroom with this huge bed that he’s pulling me down on. His hands are under my arms and he’s pulling me up against him where he’s laying against the bed. He kisses me, using his tongue expertly. It’s soft, yet seductive. It’s like there’s all this power and force that could just come right out of him, but he holds it back and controls it. And it’s sexy as hell. His hands are under my shirt pushing it up, and his lap is trying to press into mine. He pins me underneath him and starts to pull my shirt off.

 

I wanna tell him to ‘do it’, but I can’t say that ‘cause that sounds like I’m an eighth grader. I don’t wanna say ‘make love to me’ ‘cause I don’t wanna sound like some damsel in a romance novel. And I don’t want to say ‘fuck me’ ‘cause, well, I don’t want him to. I don’t want him to fuck me. That makes it seem like it doesn’t matter and this sure as hell matters.

 

I want him to have sex with me, but that kind of sounds technical.

 

Maybe I shouldn’t say anything.

 

“Lift up girl.” I ignore him and push him off of me and sit up and start to slide off the bed. I know he wants me to take off my top, but I can’t yet. I start to move toward his bathroom. I look over my shoulder and he’s laying there, shirtless, back up against the headboard, his jeans tight against his crotch. He moves his hand down and unbuttons the top button on his jeans.

 

Oh dear lord…

 

That man is sex.

 

He smiles at me. “Where the hell are you going?” And he knows it, too.

 

“Just stay right there…don’t you dare move.” I go and see that my little bag of goodies is still by the bathroom door. I put it there this afternoon. My hand snatches it up and I march into the bathroom and shut the door. I lean against it and stare at myself in the mirror. Wow. I’m about to do this with him. I really am. I’m about to have sex with the man I love. I close my eyes and sigh. I hope this all goes as planned. I really, really do.

 

I don’t want this to fuck up and him be mortified and go running from here. I don’t know why I have that fear, but I can’t shake it. I take another needed breath. There’s a half naked, sexy man out there waiting for me and I’m standing here like an idiot. I force myself to push my fear aside and dig down in the bag.

 

I set up some of the stuff earlier, like the cd in the player and the candles on the nightstand. I’m glad he didn’t notice them when we came in. I strip down and pull out the silk slip thing I picked out and the thong. It takes me a moment to twist and turn and get it on right. I know I’m just going too fast and getting too eager. So with my arms stuck in the air and the thing half stuck on my face, I take a breath, and then easily get it down on me, resituating my boobs so that my cleavage looks good. I slip on the thong and pull my hair down out of my ponytail and touch up my make up. I don’t have a lot on. I’m not trying to look like a whore, but a little bit of mascara can go a hell of a long way.

 

Finally, after moments of hard work I’m ready and I’m nervous as hell. Well not nervous, excited. I can’t believe this day is finally here. I mean it’s not like I’m losing my virginity, but I’ve never felt like this for anyone before. I mean my high school boyfriend doesn’t count and Rex… He was a nice guy and all and he was hot, but this is Justin and Justin is…

 

I don’t know. There’s something about him. It’s like I can see myself with him, like for a long, long time. It started out just for fun, but I guess deep down I always knew that it would be so much more. I wanna give this man everything I have. And I’m going to, in like one minute.

 

I look myself in the mirror to make sure everything looks ok and well, yeah I look pretty damn hot so I reach down in the bag and pull out the remote to the stereo and I sigh. Here it goes...

 

I swing open the door and turn out the bathroom light and just stare at him with the sexiest smile I can manage. The lights aren’t on in the room but the curtains are open just a bit to let in the dim light from outside. And he’s just laying there against the head board, one arm bent behind his head, the other beside him. He takes in a deep breath and the cocky grin that was on his face fades for a moment and his eyes widen. He moves his arms and sits up against the bed and licks his lips.

 

The cocky grin slowly comes back and it really gets me going. I press the right button on the remote and place it on top of the dresser beside me. I made this stupid mixed cd that’s got like Brian McKnight and Marvin Gaye and all those perfect sex songs. I figured he’d like it.

 

Shit! It’s too loud and blares out the speakers for a moment and I cringe and reach to get the remote and turn it down.

 

Fuck.

 

He laughs and I take a breath. Ok, that sucked. I hope that didn’t ruin anything. I look at him and I feel my face burn when I realize that the candles are just sitting on the nightstand, like lumps of wax and I realize why. I’m an idiot, I don’t even know where the hell matches are. I can’t believe I forgot that. I can’t believe I’m so stupid.

 

I really am an idiot sometimes.

 

Shit. I need to calm down.

 

I sigh and run my hands through my hair, scanning the hard wood floor for some answer. This is not working like I planned.

 

“Mere…”

 

I look up. “Huh…”

 

His eyes look me up and down lazily and he pats the bed beside him. Shit, I didn’t pull back the comforter, either. This is crashing. It’s all just crashing down. “You gonna come lay with me?”

 

I just nod blankly, still trying to think how the hell I can make this up or where I might be able to find some matches. I scramble up the side of the bed next to him. There’s probably some downstairs.

 

Ow! Fucking shit!

 

“Fuck!”

 

I hate myself. I really hate myself. He’s laughing again and pulling me into him and holding my head. “Oh my god!” He laughs. “Are you ok?”

 

Yeah, I just totally hit my head against the headboard. But it’s like this huge wall, the thing’s huge and I wasn’t paying attention ‘cause I was trying not to twist my slip around too much. It’s not like tight, well on my boobs it is, but it’s kind of flowy around the middle and comes down just to the upper most part of my thigh. Yeah, it’s white too, and the little silk thong matches. I know that’s stupid and it’s even stupider that it was out of the bridal collection, but I thought it was pretty.

 

My head throbs now, and I just lean into his chest and try not to cry. I wanted this to be perfect. I wanted there to be candles and sexy music and I didn’t want to hit my head and I wanted the covers to be pulled back. I hold onto him.

 

Then I feel his torso shake and I look up. He sucks in a breath and lets out a loud laugh. I just stare, wondering what the hell is going on, and then I feel him pulling something on my back and I reach behind me and feel what the hell he’s laughing and pulling at.

 

I hate myself.

 

I really do.

 

I fucking left the tag on the thing.

 

I really think I might cry. I tug at it to pull it off but just the paper comes off so there’s still that annoying plastic string. I hate my life. I really do. Of course this would fuck up. Of course the first time I was going to have sex with him everything…

 

You’ve got to be kidding me. What did I do? What the hell did I do to make everything so imperfect? I tried so fucking hard and now…now…

 

I look at him and he’s laughing. He’s actually laughing at me.

 

I bite my lip and pick up the remote again and angrily stop the cd which is skipping half way through a D’Angelo song. I didn’t scratch it. I left it in the fucking case. I push away from him, frowning and I sit on the edge of the bed, farthest away from him. I stare down at the floor. I angrily brush a tear away. Go ahead, call me a loser or a baby or a drama queen or a freak. I don’t care. I don’t care that I’m crying over this. ‘Cause, ‘cause this really meant a lot to me and now every damn thing sucks and, and I just wanted to do something right for once. I wanted to do something special, something that would mean a lot to us.

 

I sniff and look away at the bathroom door. It’s open and even though the light’s off I can see my jeans and my shirt on the floor. I should probably just go put those on, go downstairs and hide somewhere. I feel like hiding.

 

“Meredith…”

 

I can’t look at him. I just can’t.

 

It’s like, I’m usually very comfortable around Justin, but right now I’m fucking mortified. Here he is like, the sexiest man in the world to me and what am I? Some dorky fucking klutz who can’t even remember to take the tags off her lingerie.

 

I feel the bed shift and notice a pair of jeans slide over beside me. His toes and feet touch the hard wood floor. Mine miss it by a good five inches, and dangle against the wooden bed frame. I don’t look up at him. I don’t want to see him laughing at me.

 

He kisses my cheek and I bite my lip. I’m not going to cry any more and be a stupid little emotional girl. I’m not.

 

I feel his lips against my cheek and his arms are around me pulling on me. “It’s ok…” He runs his hand through my hair and holds my head and makes me turn to him, makes me look at him. I sniff and look away. “Mere, it’s ok.” I glance at him and he’s smiling again. “You gotta admit it’s kind of funny.”

 

I rip away from him and stand up in front of him, waving my hands about. He doesn’t understand and I’m angry. I’m not angry at him at all but at myself. I knew better than to get this excited and worked up about it. I should have just let it happen. But no, I always want everything to be perfect so I try too hard and it always blows up in my face.

 

“It’s not funny. I can’t do anything right, Justin. I feel like an idiot right now. Here I am supposed to seduce you and, and, and have sex with you and, and I just look like a fucking moron. I wanted this to be perfect. I wanted this to mean something and to be beautiful and now it’s all ruined!”

 

He gives me this lost stare. Then he blinks and it turns into a small smile. I turn away from him, I look away at this nightstand to where the stupid unlit candles are. I can feel him approach me and I feel him put his hands on my shoulders and then move them to my arms. “Look at me.”

 

But I can’t. I can’t look at him. I know he’ll say something sweet and perfect, but it’ll be fake. He’ll just be cheering me up to get some ass or to push me away. There’s times when I feel like I’m the biggest freak.

 

There’s times when I feel like the biggest failure. And I know it’s stupid ‘cause here I am all successful and famous. But what have I done really?

 

Not a damn thing.

 

He grips my arms and shakes me a bit, not hard. “Dammit Mere! Will you just look at me?”

 

I cry and I hate it. I wipe at my face ‘cause I didn’t want him to see it. I don’t want him to see that I’m a mess. I don’t want him thinking I’m some immature, naïve little girl. I want him to see that there’s more to me. ‘Cause there is.

 

He holds me in his arms and I feel safe. My frown starts to fade and I relax a little bit. It’s one of the things I love about him the most, how safe I feel when I’m with him. A lot of my doubt leaves and I’m resurged with a bit of hope. I can feel him rubbing my back, his fingers against the silk. He rests his head against mine and kisses me there, too.

 

“Do you still want to do this?”

 

I pull away. “What?”

 

He keeps me against him and looks down at me. He brings a hand up and rubs his thumbs firmly under my eyes. I realize just to top it off, my mascara must be running. I probably look like a circus sideshow. The amazing crying girl, 50 cents a view. Perfect.

 

The look he’s giving me isn’t one of humor though, and it isn’t one of disgust or wonder. It’s comforting and genuine. “Tonight,” he whispers. “Do you still want to have sex with me?”

 

Wow. He just laid it out there. And its sweet and its sexy and I can’t believe he’s being this way after the utter fool I’ve made of myself. I take in a sharp breath and let it out, nodding and saying, “Yes, but I know you probably don’t want-“

 

“Shh…” He holds my cheek in his hand and shakes his head at me. He kisses me. And it’s not just a sweet kiss or one of those ‘I want you so bad I might die’ sloppy, hungry kisses. This is slow and purposeful and I start to forget everything that just happened. He has me flush against him and…and I can feel that he’s still hard. And his hand is lifting up the back of the top to grab my ass. His other hand is still on my cheek.

 

He pulls away, just a little bit and he smiles at me. I can’t help it. I smile back and I latch my arms around him and hug him tightly for a moment. He just laughs at me and holds me back. He’s amazing. He just, he can do one simple thing like kiss me and all the complexities that have been plaguing my mind disappear and everything is better.

 

He pulls from me and pats the bed, but doesn’t move to get on it. “Sit here and let me take care of everything, ok?”

 

I do what he says and I sit on the end of the bed. But it kind of pisses me off. I don’t want him to think he has to be the big man and take care of his women who’s stupid and doesn’t know what she’s doing. I mean, I know I couldn’t control some of the stuff that happened and I know that I was just a little too eager, but is that bad? I don’t want him having to chastise me. I roll my eyes at him as he pulls off his jeans, leaving him in his gray boxer briefs.

 

“Yeah, then make sure you take the fucking tags off your damn lingerie.”

 

He looks at me and laughs, “I’d like to see me try and fit into that.” I must be insane because I go from being pissed off to laughing. I can’t help it. The image of Justin in a white silk slip invades my mind. I can see it, barely coming down to cover his navel. I can see the goofy little smile on his face and some hear stupid lame joke he’d tell about getting his nails done. I try to suppress it and it starts as just a giggle, but when he sees me laughing he surges towards me and pins me back against the bed.

 

“That’s my girl…” Bastard starts tickling me and I hit him but I can’t stop my laughter. And he’s laughing back at me and everything fades away and it’s just us, happy.

 

When the laughter dies down a new feeling comes over. I’m still happy, but now…now I want it. I want him and I pull him down in a kiss. He soon pulls away and pushes himself off the comforter. “Lift your butt up…”

 

I do and feel the comforter pulled out from under me. He throws it down to the foot of the bed and I help him pull the white sheets back as well. He throws off some of the pillows and I watch him closely. I take in every inch of him. He’s really hot. Duh, right? But really, his muscles are all toned and he, he just looks refreshed and happy.

 

He catches me staring at him and I say, “You’re really sexy.”

 

“I am?” He lifts his eyebrows in a bit of surprise and then narrows his eyes and crawls up to lay beside me on the bed. “Well, look at you little miss angel lying on my bed in silk. Th-that’s…” He sucks in a breath and I feel his hand move over the silk on my stomach. “That’s a mighty fine outfit Miss Craven.”

 

“You like it?” That makes me smile.

 

He laughs and looks down at himself. “Do you see the front of my underwear right now?”

 

I look down and giggle. He does have a pretty sizable hard-on. It’s hot as hell, too. Something about this man in just his underwear with an erection, I don’t know, but it gets me going.

 

I pull myself closer to him. “I just thought you had a thing for women who like to attempt to knock themselves out with headboards.”

 

He smiles and whispers to me, “See…it’s not so bad.”

 

“I’m so embarrassed, though.”

 

“Mere…” He shakes his head and rolls over on top of me, being careful where he puts his weight. This is the thing. He can be aggressive. I’ve seen him when he’s really horney and he can be like an animal, but he can also be gentle. And he always knows when I need him to be slow with me and when I need him to be sweet. He reads me so well it’s almost scary. It’s kind of exciting. “It’s me. It’s just me.”

 

“That thing’s still sticking in my back.” I say, talking about the plastic thing that’s now scratching against me.

 

He laughs at me, but this time I’m able to laugh with him a little bit. “How did you not notice the tags?”

 

“I…I was excited!” I pout at him and suddenly feel a bit shy. “I’ve…I’ve been planning this out for ever. I mean, I got candles…” I look over at the nightstand and he seems to be noticing them for the first time. “But I fucking forgot the matches and I made that cd.”

 

He laughs again. “Who burns cds anymore? Don’t you have an ipod?”

 

“Shut up…” I pout again and he bites his bottom lip and smiles. “I didn’t think about that.”

 

His smile fades and he gets this very content look on his face. He dips in for a kiss and pulls back quickly, “You still sure you want this? You’re ready?”

 

“God Justin…” I lightly hit the mattress with my fist and groan. I don’t think he realizes. He really must think that I just wasn’t ready to have sex with him, that I wanted to wait a month or something. Well, normally I do want to do that, but I’ll be honest, I probably would have had sex with him when we first met. I wouldn’t have been as rational about it as I am now, but I probably would have done it that first night. “I’ve been ready ever since I met you.”

 

“Oh really…” He smiles and shifts to push himself against my leg a little bit. He toys with the strap over my shoulder. He’s kissing my neck, but I can’t really concentrate on it ‘cause that stupid peace of plastic is sticking into my back.

 

I should just ignore it, but for some reason I can’t. And I feel the need to tell him. “Dammit this thing really itches.”

 

“Can I take it off?”

 

He says it so seriously. Not flirting, not joking. He’s dead serious. I mean, he’s already almost naked and yeah, I’m just in lingerie but, but when he takes this top off I’ll just be left with my thong. Even though I’ve been naked with him before…this is different. This is very, very different. I can’t help it. Excitement floods me, eagerness fills me up and I know it shows. “Y-yes…”

 

And it makes me feel weak. I hope that doesn’t show. The last thing I need is him thinking I’m weak.

 

He kneels before me on the bed and pulls me up so I’m mirroring his position. He kisses me and I feel his hands against my sides, pulling up. His hands follow the silk and he touches my breasts. I lift up and he takes it off. And we’re left staring at each other.

 

It’s almost dark in the room and I can barely see him now that the sun must have set. It hits me. It suddenly hits me that this, this is really going to happen. And I want to cry again but not because I’m mortified or feeling sorry for myself but, but because it’s right.

 

This is right.

 

He leans me back against the sheets and the pillows, but he doesn’t lay on me. He lies on his side next to me and he lets his hand wander and I take it all in. I close my eyes and feel his hand on my body, touching my breasts and running over my stomach, running his finger along the top of my thong and finally, pulling on my hip to get me to turn to lay my side like him, facing him. He pulls me flush against his body and the feel of us touching, almost naked, with his body so warm I just…

 

I really do love him.

 

“I want to ask you to do something for me.”

 

I look into his eyes, they’re so dark and blue and they’re looking right at me. “Ok…”

 

He takes a breath and moves his eyes from me for a moment. “You’ve got this problem of getting a little over excited about things, about building them up in your head and trying to take control.” He looks into my eyes again. “Will you just let me do this? Will you just lay back and relax and let me do this for you?”

 

“But I want you to enjoy it, too.”

 

He laughs a little and breathes out, “Damn Meredith, I have a feeling I’m going to.”

 

And just like that, it starts to happen. I mean, I guess it’s been happening ever since we got up here, but, but now it’s for real. It’s not this fake planned thing that, that I was stupidly trying to do. It’s real. His kissing me is real and his laying on top of me is real.

 

His hands running along my sides, pulling my hip up so he can push himself against me intimately, that’s…that’s fucking real. And it means a lot ‘cause sometimes, sometimes in my life, in the life that I live things can seem fake, they can have no meaning. Even though I’m not really sure what the meaning is of this, of him touching me slowly and tenderly and kissing me like it’s a gift, it doesn’t matter.

 

He pulls back for a moment, his hands on my breasts, his lips moving against my neck, not just on the side like normal, but underneath my chin. I run my hands up his back and over his neck, holding his head there, directing him down. I want his mouth all over me. I want him all over me. He pulls back for a moment, kissing just the top of my breasts and looking at them before looking up at me.

 

He licks his lips and says, “How do you want it?”

 

“Are you serious?” I can’t help but laugh. And I don’t know why. I guess it was just a funny thing for him to say. Like I could place an order off a value sized menu or something. I’d like two fucks and a large diet coke. Biggie Sized. I’d sing that McDonald’s jingle he wrote but I figure he might get mad at me.

 

He smiles. “Now you’re laughing at me.” He changes his voice, from his genuine slightly country tone to some weird mix, “Whut girl? I’ve never done this with you! I need ta know ya preferences so I can please you right.”

 

“You’re silly.” He sticks his tongue out at me and I wrap my arms and legs around him and giggle, “I like it all kinds of ways.”

 

“Oh, really?”

 

I nod and lean in to kiss him. “But tonight, just…” He pulls up a bit and pushes himself against me again and I sigh at the feeling. “Just make it last.” He laughs and wiggles his eyes at me and does this little rotation movement with his hips. I smack his shoulder. “And don’t start talking all vulgar about a tight pussy or slapping my ass or something.”

 

“I’ll try to restrain myself.” He laughs deeply and puts his arms behind my back, pulling me up and rolling over so that I’m lying on top of him.

 

As much as I wish I could just remember it all perfectly I know that won’t happen. I know after it’s over it’ll be like a blur, ‘cause it is. It’s a blur. Kisses here and there, hands everywhere, reaching and touching and running all over my skin. And he’s not the only participant. I copy his movements and it lasts and lasts, but soon it stops and as much as I want there to be foreplay, more intimate touching, his fingers in between my legs, or his…his mouth there, it doesn’t happen.

 

No, something else happens.

 

Somehow along the way we wind up naked and I wind up on my back and he ends up on top of me. And we stay that way. We kiss. And kiss and kiss and I pull my legs up on either side of him so he knows, so he understands that he can go ahead, that I’m ready. But he doesn’t move. He grips my hips and my thighs, but he doesn’t do the one thing that I want.

 

He just keeps kissing. He kisses my mouth until I’m gasping for air. I can feel him bumping into me between my thighs. I know he wants it, but he doesn’t do it. He just waits, his lips over my chin, down against my neck, kissing, and licking and nipping at me with his teeth, smiling, fucking smiling against my skin.

 

I want to scream, I want to scream at him to stop. I want him to never stop and I don’t know what to do. I want it to last, I want to be patient but I can’t. I can’t. I…I need him inside of me. I fucking need it.

 

“Just…”

 

I don’t finish my sentence. I barely get out what I want to say.

 

Because he’s there, pinning me down with his lap, pushing into me. He slides in just a bit. I reach out and pull him down against me and he pushes all the way in. All the way to the brink, pushing me to the edge almost right there with that one movement. I hold him tight against me, pulling him as close as possible, squeezing his hips with my thighs, trying to get him inside of me, all of him inside of me.

 

He doesn’t move. He lays there and breathes against my neck. He feels….he feels….I can’t describe it. But it’s the best thing I’ve felt. Ever.

 

The next thing I know I’ve gone and said it. It comes out and there’s nothing I can do to take it back.

 

“I love you…”

 

I bite my lip and try not to sob ‘cause I can feel him tense up. I can feel him not wanting to hear it and I can tell that I’ve just ruined this all over again.

 

Then he moves, he pulls out and I know he’s going to tell me its over, that he’s not ready and that…

 

“I know you do…” He whispers and he pushes back in and surges his mouth against mine, welding them together so they can’t come apart. So…so we can’t come apart.

 

We don’t come apart, not, not until the feel of him pushing in and pulling out makes him groan and he breaks away, moving his hips not slowly, not languidly, but to a beat, some beat I can hear in my head. It’s not loud and it’s not fast, but it’s steady and I almost start humming along. Instead I just hold on to his shoulders and I smile.

 

I smile and I smile….

 

And I smile.

 

I realize I’ve got my eyes shut and I open them so I can see him.

 

He’s smiling, too. He laughs quietly but I can feel him rumbling everywhere inside of me. He pushes in and holds it and, and I guess it’s a little weird but he kisses my nose. I don’t mind. “Is this ok?” He’s breathless and quiet. He’s not whispering but it’s this low, gravely voice.

 

I nod and hike my legs up a bit more, making him slip in deeper. He groans, deep and again I feel it inside of me. He’s…shit, he really is inside of me. I move my hands over his shoulders and his upper arms and then behind me, stretching my body underneath his and grabbing onto the top of the headboard as best I can. He just stares at me with these eyes, these deep, dark, primal eyes and pushes himself up a bit so his arms are out straight in front of him, his hands pressed into the pillow on either side of my head.

 

He moves a bit faster, and I watch him and he’s like this machine. A body too perfect, full of muscles and it’s like I was saying before, I can tell he’s holding back. I can tell he’s keeping himself in check. I can tell there’s more power behind him. I can tell that he’s not letting go and it’s so fucking sexy to know there’s some mystery buried deep inside of him. He’s bites his lip and hangs his head, sighing, still moving his hips against me.

 

I grip the headboard one last time as this small, sudden wave of pleasure comes over me. But I know that’s not it. I know sure as hell that…that that’s just a small teasing little preview.

 

I let go of the headboard and pull him against me. I need to feel all of his body pushing into me and his arms come in between my back and the mattress and he holds me and lets me kiss him. He kisses me back and its wild and his hips are still moving against me, moving in me. And...and it feels so good and he fills me up so well.

 

And I know it’s perverted and it’s vulgar and probably just because it’s been so long for me, but he stretches me, not hard, not painful, just slightly and I feel complete. That ache, that ache that tells me that I need something in me is heightened and every time he thrusts in me it feels perfect and it feels good and I moan, I fucking moan and I don’t know what I say to him.

 

He sucks on my neck and I know I’m going to have a bruise there and I don’t care. I bite his shoulder ‘cause he’s speeding up and I know what this means. Oh shit, I know what this means. I know what’s about to happen.

 

I hear him say ‘shit’ against my shoulder and I hold him tight and he holds me tighter and then…then, oh shit, then.

 

He breathes, “Fuck, Mere…” into my ear and I feel him explode inside of me. I feel him wild against me, thrusting like he’s out of control, like he can’t hold it back. He groans and gasps my name and it lasts and its long and its hard and I can’t help it and I feel my body coil and coil, and tighten and tighten, and wind and wind, and I squeeze and squeeze until there’s nothing left. Not a fucking thing left.

 

And…and I burst.

 

I burst and I shake and I lay there trembling underneath him. And I try to hold on, I try my best to hold onto him and he just kisses my shoulders and my collar, small sweet kisses. I suck in a breath, trying my best to breathe, but I can’t. And I’m hot, burning up and…and I just…

 

I just had sex with him.

 

And…and it was perfect and passionate and intense and…

 

I sigh and blink slowly.

 

I make this small groan and look to find him laying on me, still in me, eyes closed with a smile on his face. I touch his cheek. It’s hot and flushed. He’s…he’s glowing. Well, it’s not like a fucking GlowWorm, but he looks so happy and content and, and I feel the same.

 

I wanted it to be that way, this way. This…this was so right and so real and I giggle and hug him, not really sure what to say to him, still knowing that I told him I love him and wondering if he remembers that.

 

Maybe he’ll just ignore it.

 

He doesn’t ignore it. “You love me?”

 

I lick my lips and try to move a bit so that I can hide or move or get away from him, but he won’t let me. He’s still in me. I can feel his heartbeat down there and I can feel him losing it and softening. “Justin…” I want to explain myself. I want to tell him that I do, but that’s its ok if he doesn’t feel the same. I expect that. I don’t want him to think he’s obligated to say it or feel it back.

 

“Meredith...I…I lo-“

 

Shit. He’s struggling and I pull him down in a hug and run my hand over his head and whisper, “You don’t have to say it back. It’s ok.”

 

“No its not!” He rips away from me, pulling out. The absence shocks me for a moment and I curl up a bit. He sits up against the headboard and beats the mattress. “Dammit Meredith! I do! I just…” He sighs and rubs his hand over his face. “It’s really hard for me.”

 

I know it is. I know he’s terrified. I know he was burned badly and I know he’s pushed that away for years and lost himself in random hook ups and tried to forget the pain that goes with being in love. And I know this relationship scares him. I know that when we were at his pool after swimming naked it scared him to talk about a future. So I put it in general terms. I stopped talking about us as a couple in the future and just talked about what he wanted out of life. We want the same things, but I didn’t point that out.

 

I don’t really think I had to.

 

I roll over on my stomach and look at him. He’s staring at me with these eyes, these eyes that are begging me to believe him, begging me to know that, that he does care and that there is love there somewhere, underneath all the fear. “You don’t have to say it.”

 

He licks his lips and shakes his head like I don’t understand him. What am I not getting? “Yes I do. I want to prove to you that, that I don’t care about being scared. Yeah, I’m terrified but…but you mean more than that.” He slides down and pulls me against him. I feel cold now and his body is damp not like disgustingly sweaty and dripping, but there’s a small shine, a gleam maybe and I run my hand down his back and let him hold me against his warm chest. “You…you’re everything. You…” He pulls back and leans in to press his forehead against mine. “What we just did…You know as well as I do that that was more than just sex. Right?”

 

I’ve never seen him stare at me this intently and to hear him say that…

 

I don’t know what this means and I don’t know how to decipher this. It’s like he’s trying to tell me something, but I don’t know what it is. I know what we just did was more than sex, but, but there’s not really a term for it. You can call it making love but that’s so cliché and over used. What we did was…was beautiful.

 

“You don’t have to prove anything to me. You don’t have to do that.”

 

He shakes his head. I guess I’m not getting it. I guess I don’t understand what he’s trying-

 

“I…I love you.” I blink and stare at him. He just stares back. “Th-There. It’s…it’s there.” His voice shakes, and he licks his lips nervously and stares at me, waiting for approval. I just gulp. He...he just said...

 

“I love you…” He says it again and kisses me, hard, strong, proving his point. He’s proved his point. He pushes his forehead against me again.

 

He whispers, “I love you.” And this time he seems completely sure of himself and he smiles and he kisses me again and whispers it against my neck, nuzzling me there and holding me against him. He runs his hands over my bare back and sighs against me. And I know, I know deep down in my heart or my soul or whatever…I know he means it.

 

And I just stare at the unlit candles, the mounds of wax just standing useless on the nightstand, and I can’t move and I can’t think. I just blink.

 

And then…then I start to smile.

 

He loves me.

 

I rub my foot against his calf. His fingers run up and down my spine, slowly and he presses his lips against my shoulder.

 

I bite my lip, holding back the urge to squeal.

 

He really loves me.
Chapter 18 by Mere

Downstairs Guest bedroom, 11:52 p.m.

 

What the hell is that?

 

It’s quiet for a moment and then I hear it again, a scratch on the window pane from outside. I pull the covers up on the plush bed that’s so fluffy it’s almost uncomfortable. My eyes dart to the window and I see nothing because the blinds are closed. I know there’s this big bush in front of the window so maybe the wind is blowing and a branch is hitting the glass. I hope so. I’d hate to be murdered in Bum Fuck, Tennessee in the guestroom of a house whose owner hates me. Well, I don’t think Justin’s parents hate me, but he sure as hell does. He’s made that pretty clear this past week by not saying a word to me. I mean, not a word.

 

And I knew when I was dropped off earlier today that I would have to sneak in. I didn’t want to interrupt anything that Meredith and Justin had planned. When I came into the house it was silent, but I knew they were here because all the lights were on and his car was here. I shut the door behind me, turned off the lights in the house because that’s a big pet peeve of mine, and walked quickly to the guest bedroom that Lynn had told me to treat as my own. The room is on the first floor, in the same section of the house as her and Paul’s bedroom. Justin apparently keeps the whole top floor to himself with a massive bedroom, another guestroom and an office. I’ve hidden in here in the downstairs room all tonight and most of my stay as well. Tonight though, I’ve just sat on the bed and thought about what I’ve done. I took a shower. It didn’t help much. I tried to read, but nothing worked to ease my mind. I’ve confined myself to this room. I’ve forced myself to sit here and think and beat myself up about what I let happen.

 

What I let him do to me.

 

About two hours ago the silence of the house was stopped by the sound of water running upstairs. I guess Justin’s bathroom is right above my room because I heard his shower run…and run. It lasted like 45 minutes. I wonder how big their water heater is. I also wonder what the hell they’ve been doing up there. I guess she finally did it with him.

 

The sound of water wasn’t soothing, though. At first I thought it might help me get to sleep, but no, it just made me think about water and rain and this afternoon and what happened and how I freaked out and how I ruined everything. I then decided to check my voicemail and see if there was anything interesting happening in the world outside of Millington, the real world as I would call it. Everything is too damn quaint here, perfect, small country town where everyone is friendly. It annoys the shit out of me. I need LA or New York, fast. And I honestly can’t wait for three days from now when we catch that flight up north. Meredith is leaving straight from here to do more promotion. Her album is going to be out in just two and a half weeks.

 

I had this voicemail from Angie, it told me to check my email so I pulled out my laptop and was able to pick up a wireless signal. There was this long ass email telling me that I need to keep my phone on and nearby at all times and that Meredith needs to stop turning hers off or letting her battery die. Then she went into something that made my stomach churn and my brain dizzy.

 

Touring.

 

I’ve craved it. I’ve wanted it. I’ve been thinking about how exciting and interesting tour life would be. But not like this. Apparently, Angie and Johnny and Jive and Sony have all been in talks and they’re on a mission to convince Meredith and Justin to tour together.

 

And as much as the two of them bull shit about keeping their relationship and work separate I know they won’t say no. I know they’ll love it. I know they’ll eat it up. And I know I won’t be able to get away from Trace. I’ll be stuck. I’ll be forced. I’ll be miserable.

 

That damned tapping has started back and I decide to throw off the covers and grab my thing of pepper spray out of my purse. I don’t flip on the light so that if it is an intruder or something they won’t see me as easily. I cautiously run to the wall by the window, my socks sliding a bit on the slick hard wood. My fingers slip in between two of the blinds and peek out. I see nothing but a big bush sitting there. But there’s no wind, nothing. I look harder and still see no branch, no creepy man, but I want to be sure, so I slowly move to the pole that opens the blinds and turn my fingers, twisting the rod.

 

“Court!” It’s muffled, and it’s outside. I squint my eyes to see through the slits and I spot arms waving on the other side of the colossal bush, one arm holding up a long stick.

 

What in the world? Don’t tell me Justin and Meredith locked themselves out of the house.

 

I keep my spray in hand but I pull the string so the blinds go up and look harder. I’m not about to open the window, yet.

 

“Courtney! It’s me!”

 

I just stare at the waving stick. I still can’t see him that well, but I know who the hell it is. I can’t believe this. I can’t fucking believe this.

 

I put the pepper spray on the window sill, and fumble with the window locks, finally pushing the damned thing up and looking out through the screen. The sound of insects invade my ears and I yell in a harsh whisper, “What the hell are you doing!”

 

I want him to disappear. I want him to just vanish. What happened this afternoon was horrid. It was some of the best sex I’ve ever had and, and it was horrible. It was in the back seat of his mother’s car and, and all he cared about was getting off. I mean, it wasn’t like he didn’t please me, but after we were done I realized I had gotten caught up in the moment, had let myself give in, give up, and I fell.

 

I fell for him right then even though I knew that he didn’t give a shit about me. Well, I know that’s not true. I know he likes me, like a friend. And he must be attracted to me to have sex with me. But I know he doesn’t feel the way that I do and that’s a problem, a big problem. I promised myself I would never let this happen again. And what do I do to the first guy I start to hang out with since Keith? I fuck him, and I fall for him.

 

“I came to talk.”

 

His voice is quiet and I laugh, seeing his arms wave over the bush again, this time throwing the stick away. It’s kind of a tall ass bush and well, he is rather short. “And you couldn’t ring the doorbell or knock or call?”

 

“No…” He pauses for a moment. “I didn’t want to wake up Justin or Meredith.”

 

Of course, he’s always thinking about Justin. Sometimes I think he might be secretly in love with him. That would make everything a hell of a lot easier for me. “You could have called.”

 

“You wouldn’t have answered.”

 

Well, he’s got a point. He tried to talk to me when he dropped me off, after all the drama at his grandfather’s. Oh, that was awkward, having this old man come out with this beat up truck to take us back to his place, me squished in between the two of them in the front seat that smelled like tobacco and old leather. Then we had to call a tow truck and he drove us back to Trace’s house and I had to meet his mother, who was sweet and all, but a little flighty. And I think she thought I was Trace’s girlfriend, ‘cause well, she was treating me like that. She told me that she was so happy her boy had someone like me in his life. I could have been a prostitute and I don’t think the lady would have cared.

 

Trace took his car and drove me back to Justin’s at eight. Mrs. Ayala begged me to stay for dinner and I tried to lie to her and told her I had plans with Meredith. Trace glared at me and said, “oh yeah, Justin called and said he was taking her out so you guys are gonna have dinner tomorrow night. So stay, please.” So I was forced to sit there with Trace and his parents and his siblings and eat this family dinner. I was mortified. When he drove me back he kept trying to talk to me but I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t say anything to him. I was angry at myself, angry at him, angry at the damn world. I just looked out the window and at one point he slammed the car on its brakes and yelled at me. But I didn’t budge.

 

That just pissed him off more, I’m sure. But what could he expect me to say? He dropped me off, and as soon as I got out of the car and shut the door, he left. He flipped me off, too, which was childish but I don’t really blame him. I mean, none of this is really his fault. I should have been upfront and told him the reason I didn’t want to have sex with him was because I knew I’d fall for him. And I did fall for him.

 

But I didn’t want him to think I was weak. It’s funny, actually. Now I know he knows I’m weak. My actions scream it. They scream a woman who has no fucking clue what she is doing. And I hate that. I hate looking weak. I hate being pathetic.

 

I swore to myself that I’d never be pathetic again, that I’d never show a man how weak I really was. And now I’ve done that.

 

“What do you want!”

 

“Come outside on the back porch and talk to me.”

 

This is annoying. I can’t see him, and…and I don’t really want to. I don’t even want to talk to him.

 

“I can talk to you fine right here.” But I can’t say that I’m not a little bit happy at the idea of him hanging outside of my window, tapping on it with a stick, trying to get me to talk to him. It’s a bit romantic, insanely cheesy, and I know I’m reading too much into it. But it makes my heart beat a little faster. He makes that happen. It sucks having a crush, especially when the crush isn’t returned.

 

He laughs. “We’re talking through a holly bush, Courtney.”

 

I glare at the bush, imagining it’s him, wishing my look could cut through the damn thing so he could see me and see how much I don’t want to have this conversation with him. “Exactly, so if you get too close you get pricked.”

 

“Ya know, maybe I should ring the doorbell…” It’s quiet and then he chuckles. “Piss Justin off, claim that you needed something from me…”

 

“You wouldn’t do that, you bastard.”

 

He sighs and I can hear him walking around in the pine straw, trying to find a way closer, and failing. “What did I do that was so bad Courtney? You were there, too. I didn’t rape you. I didn’t force you.”

 

“I don’t wanna have this conversation here.”

 

He laughs and raises his voice at me. “You’re the one that wants to be protected by a mother fucking holly bush.”

 

I shush him. The last thing I want is Justin stomping down here like mister hero. I can see him doing that, too. He’d hate me for life and then go crack open a beer with Trace. I don’t know why he hates me and one of these days I’m going to get to the bottom of it. But right now I have bigger things to worry about. I realize though if we continue to have this conversation through the holly bush, Justin will come out and will bitch at me. So I give into his plea to talk to me and give into my gushy girly side that wants to see him and hear what he has to say.

 

“Fine! I’ll meet you on the back porch. How are you gonna get over the fence?” They got this pretty big iron fence around the back yard and I can just see Trace struggling to get over and puncturing himself or ripping his clothes and causing more of a scene and a racket than he has already by poking my window with a stick.

 

“You forget I grew up here. Justin and I have perfected the art of sneaking in.”

 

I hear his shoes in pine straw for a second and then its quiet again and I call out to him. “Trace…Trace!” But he’s gone and I realize I’m going to have to come out of hiding and go talk to him. Shit, I should have known better, I should have thought this through. I don’t know what he wants to say to me. I don’t know if he’s gonna rub it in, make fun of me, try to take advantage of me again. I don’t have a clue and I don’t know if I want to find out. I think about just sitting here, locking the window back up and putting on my headphones and turning up the volume and drowning out any other sound.

 

But I don’t do that. I go to the door, I open it and I pad through the dark house, through the den to the kitchen and out the back door to the big deck there. I sit down on one of the cushioned lounge chairs and wait. The crickets and other bugs are loud as hell and it’s kind of humid. For a while I wonder if he just said that shit to me and is about to pelt me with rotten eggs or do something completely middle-schoolish. But nothing happens and then I wonder if he’s just going to not show up and make me sit here and wait.

 

It wouldn’t matter though. The fresh air is kind of nice and it’s not like I haven’t been sitting, waiting and thinking all evening.

 

But he finally does show up, strolling slowly up the steps of the deck from the back yard near the pool. He stops when he gets level with the deck and leans casually against the railing. “Will you put your hands up?”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

He shrugs. “I wanna make sure you don’t have some weapon.”

 

“Trace…” I sigh and roll my eyes. He’s only half way being serious. He’s trying to make a joke and I’m not in the mood for jokes. I don’t even know what mood I’m in. He finally, slowly walks over to one of the chairs that’s facing me and sits down and leans forward, running his hands against each other, resting his elbows on his knees. It’s quiet for a while and he doesn’t look at me.

 

It’s hard to sit here with him. The longer I look at him the more I realize that he’s not the asshole I keep trying to label him. And, and I also realize that just maybe, maybe it wasn’t all about getting off for him. Maybe it was more than that. He’s here right? He’s sitting here with me, he was tapping on my window. Maybe he’s drunk.

 

He looks up directly at me. No…no he’s not drunk. “What the hell happened this afternoon?”

 

“We fucked.” I can’t look at him, but out of the corner of my eye I notice he sits back against the chair.

 

“After that.” I don’t say anything. “Dammit Courtney! Why’d you do it if you couldn’t handle it?”

 

I glare at him and stand up. I can’t believe he just called me out like that. “Couldn’t handle it? Oh right, ‘cause I’m the one that’s all fucked up and can’t handle sex.”

 

He shrugs. “Well, it seems that way.”

 

I hug my arms around my chest. It’s suddenly cold. The thin cotton pajama pants and t-shirt I’m wearing aren’t doing a whole hell of a lot to keep me warm right now. “Just leave me alone. You don’t know anything about me. And you don’t care and that’s fine. But just don’t come near me.”

 

“I do care, Courtney. Don’t think that I don’t care.”

 

I shake my head. Shit, he can’t say things like that. He…he can’t look at me like that. “You care more about calling your fucking grandfather,” I mumble.

 

I push myself up off the lounge chair and make a move like I’m going inside, but I don’t.

 

“Is that what this is about?” I turn and see him run a hand over his face and stand up. “Oh my God, I’m sorry, ok? I was…I was in shock. Literally.”

 

I shake my head and look over at the grill that’s just sitting there. I have to have something to focus on. I can’t look at him anymore. “Shocked that you just fucked a girl like me and wanted to get away as far…”

 

“Shut up.” I let out a breath and move my eyes right in front of me when I realize he’s inches away, his hands on my shoulders. I’m forced to look at him and I can’t look away. He pulls me into him and I just stare over his shoulder, not sure what I’m supposed to do. It’s ok when I hate him, when I hate myself, but this…this is just a mess. This makes everything…complicated.

 

Like it wasn’t complicated enough before.

 

“What are you doing?” I don’t push him away but I don’t hold him either. He’s even swaying with me just a little bit. And I just let him.

 

“Trying to get you to relax.” He sighs and pulls back just a little bit, but doesn’t let me go. “I really am sorry about this afternoon, about afterwards, about how I acted or whatever I did to get you so upset. But I’m not sorry for what we did. I don’t regret it and I don’t want to take it back.”

 

“Stop it.” I say harshly to him. He’s…he’s being perfect and I know he’s not perfect and I don’t know why he’s acting like this.

 

“Stop what?”

 

I rip away from him, shake my head and stare out over the yard. It’s dark, real dark and I can’t see shit. I don’t even know why we’re out here. It wouldn’t be that big of a deal to bring him inside. Hell, Justin and Meredith have hibernated upstairs. I don’t really think they’d care. “You’re not supposed to be this nice. I’m the one that flipped out, Trace. I know I overreacted and I know you think I’m crazy. I just…”

 

I sigh and I almost continue what I was going to say, but I hear him behind me. “You were hurt real bad, weren’t you?”

 

I suck in a breath and turn on my heels. I realize my socks are probably getting disgustingly dirty on the deck. He’s a lot closer than I expected and I run a hand over my head, letting my hair fall from the holder and then quickly putting it back up. “Yeah….yeah I was. And I promised myself I’d never let someone control me, and I promised myself I’d never let a man see me weak and that’s what happened today. I was weak and I gave in. And now I’m a complete mess.”

 

He smiles distantly. “So, what about us? Clearly, neither of us are really ready for commitment or something huge.”

 

I nod and agree with him. But, but he’s wrong. He’s really, really wrong. I think I could be persuaded to do something huge, to commit.

 

To him.

 

I’ve lost it. You would think getting laid would make you feel better and think more clear about things. But not me, I’m a fucking jigsaw puzzle that a 4 year old decided it would be fun to rip apart and destroy. I should be committed.

 

He smiles at me, I can see it in the darkness. “So what…”

 

Then all the lights of the deck come on. I gasp and Trace turns to look back at the glass doors of the house. Justin’s standing there in just some shorts with his hands on his hips looking at us with his eyes widened and his mouth dropped a little. “What the hell?” I can’t hear it, but I know that’s what he said behind the glass.

 

Trace turns to me and quickly says. “Did you get a call from Angie today?”

 

“About touring?” He walks quickly to the door that Justin’s getting ready to open. He looks back at me.

 

“That’s what we’re out here talking about. I’ve got it covered.”

 

That pisses me off. I don’t see why we couldn’t just tell him we were hanging out or whatever. Justin shouldn’t need an explanation about this. Hell, for all I know Trace has already called up Justin with every dirty gritty detail. I mean, yeah this is his house and we were being all secretive and stupid on his deck. But he shouldn’t have to know why.

 

“What the hell are you two doing out here? Mere and I were asleep and we hear these voices and she freaked out.”

 

“We had business to discuss,” Trace explains. “And we didn’t want to be out here with the lights and wake you guys up or in the house where you could hear us talking. I’m sorry we should have been quieter.”

 

“Business?” Justin looks at me for a moment and then back at his best friend. He narrows his eyes. “You doing a drug deal or something Ayala.”

 

“No, touring.”

 

Justin turns his head, as if he couldn’t hear Trace right. “Excuse me, touring?”

 

“Is Meredith awake?”

 

Justin nods and then laughs. “Yeah, she was convinced a burglar was going to get in the house and steal my awards.”

 

“Your awards?” Trace chuckles and Justin shrugs.

 

“It’s what she said.”

 

“Well go get her, if you guys are up. It concerns both of you.”

 

Justin narrows his eyes at Trace and shakes his head before turning back into the house. “You’re weird, Trace….”

 

Once he leaves, Trace holds the door open and waves me over. I brush past him, “Nice cover.”

 

“Yeah, we’ll just go ahead and talk to them about touring and pretend that it was urgent or something. I’ve got it all covered. Just let me talk.”

 

I sit on the couch and cross my legs. Now I’ve got this headache and he’s starting to piss me off again. I don’t understand why we have to have this big cover up. I guess he’s embarrassed of me or something, embarrassed Justin will find out we fucked and then he’ll get laughed at. Justin will say something smart like Trace banged the khakis girl, took a detour to khakis pants land. Yeah, I know that’s what they call me. I don’t care. It’s stupid.

 

And it’s stupid that he assumes I need to just shut up and let him, the man, take care of everything.

 

“Got everything figured out, don’t you?”

 

“What? What’s wrong?” He sits down in the loveseat and stares at me for a while as I start to hear laughter and voices. I can see them coming down the stairs, Meredith riding on Justin’s back. I ignore Trace.

 

“I thought you were a robber, mutant!”

 

“I’ve been thought worse.” His eyes dart from me as Justin lets Meredith drop off of him at the bottom of the steps. He complains about some type of back pain and she rolls her eyes at him. Then we get to watch as Justin comes up behind Meredith, tickles her sides and picks her up over his shoulder, laughing and smacking her butt as she squeals.

 

They’re pathetic. And so damn obvious. He flips her around and perches her on the couch that I’m on and she runs a hand through her hair and then keeps it on her forehead, “Justin! Now I’m dizzy…” She swats at him and he sits down beside her and pulls her into his body, so she’s laying on him.

 

She’s clearly wearing his clothes, a huge shirt on her and some boxers rolled up so they show off as much of her legs as possible. Justin put on a wife beater to go with his bright blue basketball shorts. I’m in my pajamas and I look at Trace, in jeans and a shirt. I wonder what Trace wears to sleep. Probably nothing.

 

I shake my head. I’m pathetic.

 

“So we got business to discuss.” I say, tired of their little display of flirtation.

 

“Uh ohh….” Meredith says, and moves so she’s sitting Indian style. “Can’t we just watch a movie and eat some snacks and…” She busts out laughing and turns and smacks at Justin who’s just smiling at her. “Stopppp..”

 

He puts his hands up at his sides and she leans in and kisses his neck.

 

I look at Trace and roll my eyes and thankfully he says, “Could you please refrain from having sex in front of us? Thanks.”

 

Meredith turns as red as an apple and Justin moves his arms and hands from her and sprawls out on the couch. I turn a little so that his hand doesn’t hit me. He’s got Meredith up against him and I’m sitting beside him but I don’t wanna get too close to him because well, he hates me. “Well then tell us what’s up,” he asks and cracks his neck.

 

“Touring.” I look at Trace and then at Meredith and Justin who are just staring back at him. I don’t even know why I’m here. It seems I’m just taking up space in this room. I should go to bed. He speaks very slowly, “What would you think about doing it together?”

 

“Really?” They say it at the same time but while Meredith’s is an excited squeal, Justin says it in a cautious, unbelieving tone.

 

“Yeah, Sony and Jive have come up with the idea and Johnny and Angie called us and told us to talk it over with you guys, just to get the idea in your head. They want to talk to you both together and individually tomorrow.”

 

Justin nods and sighs, staring at Trace. “They realize this is going to be a press field day?” He moves his arms from the back of the couch and leans forward. I watch Meredith, she’s just staring at him. I know she’s a little worried about his reaction to all this, but it’s not that bad. Justin is the more conservative one in their relationship and has more experience with the public and press. She should know that.

 

“They’re pushing it. They want it to happen. I’m sure they’ve looked at all the options. Now they just need to convince you guys.”

 

Finally, Justin turns to Meredith and stares at her for a second and I take the opportunity to look at Trace. He’s just sitting there casually. It’s amazing how he can be so down to business and yet so relaxed. He looks good too and I start to think about that afternoon and what we did and…and how good it felt. He knew what he was doing. And even though it was fast and rushed and probably the least romantic thing, damn did he know what he was doing. I bite my lip and look back at Justin when I notice him getting up from the couch. “We’ll have to think about it. You want something to drink?”

 

Meredith nods and he leans down to kiss her. When Justin starts to leave the room, Trace goes to follow and I watch them leave. As soon as they are out of sight, someone’s pulling on my arm and right by my side.

 

“Oh my god, Court…this...” She sighs and hugs me quickly before sitting back against the couch. “This is perfect. I was worried that maybe something would happen if we had to tour at the same time and we’d be all apart but now it’s…” She’s glowing. She’s got this flush to her cheeks and hasn’t stopped smiling since she came down the steps. “It’s perfect.”

 

“You sure you wanna do this?” I ask. Clearly all she’s thinking about is sleeping on a tour bus with Justin and sharing late nights with him in hotels. She’s not thinking about the long hours and how tired she’s going to be and how tired he’s going to be and what this will mean as far as their relationship in the public domain is concerned and what would happen if something went wrong. I can tell those thoughts were running through Justin’s mind.

 

All she can think about is being with him and being happy. And she is right now, but she has got to grow up and realize that that happiness is not gonna last. It can’t. It never does.

 

“Oh my God, am I sure?” She blushes and leans into me. “Courtney….we….” She giggles and turns that apple red shade again.

 

“It’s fairly obvious.” I roll my eyes but smile at her. But it fades when jealousy surges through me. I’m not a girly type of person, but I wish I could be. I wish I could spill to her what happened this afternoon and, and I wish that Trace was there with me tickling me and flirting with me, unable to keep his hands away. I wish I had that type of affection.

 

“Sorry, I just…oh my God, it was so good.” She falls back on the couch and groans and I stare at her in shock. I might wanna be able to blab to someone, but I don’t wanna freak out like she is. She sits back up and smiles even brighter, looking at the doorway to the kitchen for a moment and then back at me, “He…he told me he loved me. He loves me, Court!”

 

My stomach starts to hurt. “Shouldn’t you be telling Megan all this?”

 

“Silly…” She sticks her tongue out at me. “Yeah I will, but she’s not here right now, and you are. And you’re my friend so deal with it.” She laughs and nudges me but I don’t really say anything to her. I guess in a way I’m glad that she’s putting me in her mix of friends, but I don’t want to be in the middle if any drama happens. I guess I’ll just have to deal with it. I guess that’s what I get by being her assistant. I really do like Meredith, she’s a sweet girl, but her relationship with Justin annoys the snot out of me sometimes. “And if we all go on tour together you get to spend more time with Mister Mutant.”

 

I look at her and she winks at me. I shake my head and slide down onto the couch so that I’m slouching. “Great….”

 

“Oh don’t play it off.” She gets closer to me and whispers, “So what were you guys really talking about outside?”

 

“What?”

 

“Please…” She rolls her eyes at me. “This tour bull shit could wait ‘til the morning. Why were you two outside in the dark being all secretive?” Sometimes I don’t give her enough credit. She’s smarter than she seems.

 

“We were just talking.” I shrug.

 

“Did you kiss him?”

 

I sit up and stare at her. “No!”

 

She just grins more secretively. “Did he kiss you!?”

 

I sigh and shake my head. “Meredith, no…”

 

She pouts at me. “Well that’s no fun.” I don’t know why she’s so adamant about us getting together. I almost wonder if I should spill to her about us, about what happened this afternoon. But then I know she’ll tell Justin and if he’s going to find out I’d rather Trace tell him, I don’t know why, but…I just do.

 

I feel like if he hears it from Meredith he’ll be pissed off. I know he’s told Trace not to get involved with me, but I don’t see how it’s any of his business. I don’t tell Meredith how I feel about Justin or their relationship.

 

“Look, nothing’s happening between us.” I change the subject, quickly. “And you need to make sure this touring thing is what you want. I mean, what if you guys break up half way through it?” It’s a genuine concern that she hasn’t even thought about.

 

“Won’t happen.” She shakes her head. But it can, Meredith. Dammit, it can happen.

 

“You so sure?”

 

“We’re in love Courtney, in love!”

 

She’s clueless and naïve. She doesn’t even realize that her little thing with Justin might not last. So what if he told her he loved her? He very well could be lying. They’re fucking now and that’s probably all he cares about. I don’t know Justin that well. I know he can be very quiet and contemplative at times and I know he was an asshole to her once. I know he’s always an asshole to me, so I don’t have a lot of faith in him. I don’t know him that well, but I’m around him enough to know that this thing they have going on might change as quickly as his moods do.

 

“Yeah, but you never know what could happen, what could change.”

 

She shrugs and her face lights up when the guys come back in the room. Trace hands me a beer. Great, now all I want to do is sleep and they seem like they are ready to party. Justin has a bag of pretzel sticks with him and Meredith smiles at him and reaches out her hands after setting down her beer. “You brought me a snack.”

 

“Please girl, these are mine…”

 

They start to fight playfully and it ends up with Justin lying in the corner of the couch and her on top of him with the TV on, watching some movie on HBO and sharing the pretzels. I get up and move so they can have more space and so that Justin’s nasty ass bare feet don’t get any closer to me than they already are. I go sit myself down in the plush chair on the other side of the loveseat where Trace is sprawled out. He pats the space beside him, but I just glare. He was the one that wanted to cover up everything going on outside, and now he wants me to snuggle up to him or something.

 

That’s bull shit. I curl up in the chair and watch the damn movie, some romantic comedy with Jennifer Aniston.

 

“You ok?” He asks me and I just turn and stare at him and then sink down in the chair and watch the movie until my eyes get heavy. I glance at Meredith and Justin a little bit and I guess it’s a little sketchy how I’m always watching them, but dammit if I don’t get jealous.

 

Sometimes she gets on my last nerve and its clear I’m not the big Justin fan, but I wish I could be that naïve and that blind. I wish I could just lie on a man like she is, completely asleep with him running his hands through my hair and across my back. I wish I could squeal to someone that a man loved me and stupidly protest that nothing bad was going to happen because of that fact.

 

I glance over at Trace.

 

He’s staring back at me. And it’s weird because his expression is blank and I could read whatever I want to on it. There may be some anger there, some disappointment, curiosity, kindness. But there’s no love. And I’m not saying I’m in love with him, because I’m not. But I have fallen for him and it disgust me ‘cause I know that he could never fall for a girl like me.

 

I don’t even want to be in love. I just wish the possibility of love could somehow exist for me.

 

Too bad that’ll never happen.
Chapter 19 by Mere

Outside Shrine Auditorium, 4:32 pm

 

Sometimes I don’t think there is anything in the world more annoying than red carpets. Sure, it’s kind of an ego booster, but all the lights, all the screams, all the reporters, its all annoying. Hell it shouldn’t take anyone more than a minute to walk down a couple hundred feet, but it always takes more like 15 or 20 when you’re ‘famous’. At least I’m half way done. And at least the interviews have been decent. Most of the questions have been pretty generic about my album and when it’s coming out and stuff like that. I’ve only had two people ask me about my love life and I was able to skirt around the question with one and the other I just said “yes” when they asked if I was dating Meredith.

 

I guess it doesn’t really matter. I mean we agreed not to hide anything if we were specifically asked. Back home, when we had our meeting about touring, well it was really a phone conference consisting of us sitting on the couch making out and me teasing her while Johnny and Angie were on the speaker phone. Now that was kinky. We had to stop after a while because they got pretty heavy into business stuff about the tour and about press releases.

 

Meredith arrived here a bit earlier than I did because she’s performing tonight. She sent me a text message and said, “here goes nothing, luv ya” about twenty minutes before I arrived. I assume that meant she was about to take the carpet. I can’t wait to see what she’s wearing. All she told me was that it was red and short. I hope she does awesome with her performance, hell I know she will. She’s been practicing her ass off this past week during all her promotion in New York. Her album comes out in like a week. I hope that our vacation in Tennessee got her rested up and ready. She’s seemed really happy when I’ve talked to her on the phone, but I haven’t seen her in a week. A damn week.

 

I talked to her last night for fucking three hours on the phone while she was in New York, and I’m not one of these people that really enjoys phone conversations. I’d much rather talk to someone in person. We talked about a lot of stuff. It started off about how her day had been and what she had been up to and then we got on the subject of touring and she had some ideas to tell me about. We reminisced a little bit about our time there when we first hooked up. That was fun, being in New York together, just starting out. I can’t wait to go back there with her. Then she started telling me how strange Courtney had been ever since they left my house in Millington, how fast her moods have changed. I can’t really say that it seems surprising but Mere was suspicious. She said she was snapping a lot at her, which isn’t cool and I’m going to confront the bitch about that if she keeps it up. Mere said that she had been messing up, too. I knew it was only a matter of time before that bitch realized she didn’t know what the hell she was doing.

 

At home she was weirder than normal, quieter, more shy. I know my mom didn’t like her. She kept asking me questions like where she was from, and how Meredith found her as an assistant. And one time I was going into the office to put something up for mom and I found the damn girl up there snooping. She claimed she was trying to find a place she could hook up to the internet.

 

Yeah. Right.

 

I tried to get Meredith to tell me more about what was going on with Courtney so maybe I could figure some shit out and confront her and get her to change her damn attitude or get lost.

 

But then Meredith made this moan.

 

And I was like oh shit.

 

She claimed she was getting into the bathtub. I made fun of her and told her she better not drop her phone and electrocute herself. It was a cover up so she couldn’t know how bad I wanted to be with her again. And she teased the hell out of me, too. We didn’t have phone sex. I asked her to and she said she was too tired, but she still teased me, and I still fucking masturbated like a pervert while she was talking to me. I think she knew it, too. She kept giggling. I didn’t finish though, I thought that might be rude to make her listen to me jack off while she was trying to have a conversation with me, telling me about how kick ass and sexy her performance was gonna be tonight. I couldn’t help doing a little something though. I had to do something. I think I’m addicted to her.

 

We had sex twice that first night, once in the bed, the second time in the shower. The first time, well it really meant something to both of us. It’s like sometimes you can just have sex and it’s all fun and feels great, but this was that and more. I really felt like I was inside of her, ya know? I guess that’s kind of a stupid and cheesy thing to say, but I did. I felt connected, I felt loved and I know she did, too. I can’t remember being that happy in, in a long, long…pretty long time. But then we decided to get in the shower. And that was fucking hot. We were seriously just going to take a shower, get clean and go to bed. And I was standing behind her watching her as she was getting all wet and slippery and hot in the water. I couldn’t help myself so I held her, pushing her back into my front. I just wanted to hold her, I didn’t expect anything more. She asked me how I could get a hard-on again so easily, but it had been a while since we had finished. I was going to explain, thinking she was mad at me but then she turned her head and started to kiss me, still standing in front of me. I let her do it and then felt her hand reach behind her and grab me and touch me and start stroking. I started to suck on her neck and I touched her in between her legs, making her gasp and grab onto my head with her other free hand, holding it so my lips couldn’t move from her neck. Before I could think she had her hands against the wall of my shower, her body bent forward in front of me, towards the wall. She was moaning, fucking moaning my damn name and I was holding her hips, doing her all slow from behind as the water came down on her lower back and slid all around us.

 

Shit, I gotta stop this. I can’t think about this. I can’t get hard during interviews.

 

We had sex two nights later. It was the night before she left and that was weird but not bad. My parents were home and even though I didn’t care and was pretty confident that my parents weren’t going to barge in or sneak at the door to try and listen, she wanted it to be quiet. And it was so hot watching her face, seeing her try her best not to let any sound come out, trying to be quiet and panting and whispering my name.

 

I swear. Sex with her is better than I had fantasized about it all those months.

 

So much better.

 

Her body is amazing.

 

She’s amazing.

 

Last time I saw her amazing body she was pulling out of my driveway in Millington, dramatically blowing kisses at me and waving like she was Miss America. I know it was a front. I know she was really sad that she was gonna be away for a week. So was I. I wanted her to stay with me that extra day in Tennessee before I flew back to LA, but she couldn’t. I think my grandma wanted her to stay an extra day too. Grandma wanted to teach her how to make fudge.

 

Tennessee…damn, that was like the best fucking trip home ever and not just because she let me have sex with her, but I don’t know. Something about having her there with my family and really being home, it felt perfect. Everyone loved her, too. The only damper in the trip was the business with the tour shit. I mean, we’re gonna do it and it’s probably gonna be really awesome, but I can’t say I’m not nervous as hell about it.

 

When we talked on the phone last night, Mere had some ideas about us singing together on stage and what not. She was telling me all her ideas for her songs. She played me her album while we were at home and there’s really only one or two songs that are a glimpse of what she was being molded into on her past record. She’s really come a long way and I think this album is gonna get her to that point where people are talking about her songs and her voice and not just the fact that she’s got a name in the tabloids.

 

I actually let her hear the finished product of my album. She’s one of the few people that have. We listened to it together in Tennessee and she loved it and squealed when she heard our songs. They are pretty damn good. One she’s really just the co-writer and a backup singer. It’s a pretty standard ballad but it’s got good vocals, if that’s not cocky to say about myself and the lyrics are pretty deep. It’s called “Stand Alone.” She’s a good writer, especially if that’s really the first time she’s done it. Then there’s this other song we wrote that’s pretty sexy. In fact, looking back on it I can’t believe we were writing that and singing that in the studio and were able to keep our hands off each other. It’s a dance track, but it’s pretty fucking hot. I don’t know what we’ll do on stage for that one, but we are planning on performing the three songs we did together on stage together.

 

I just hope that nothing happens like us getting in a fight and her not wanting to come out on stage and perform with me. I don’t think she would be that petty, but I don’t know. What if I fuck up again? I don’t want to, I don’t plan on it. But I’m not perfect. Like, what if something happens between us? I’m not saying I’m gonna break up with her, I don’t want to, god she’s perfect for me. And…and I love her, I really do. I mean, we’re in love and shit, but still. I’ve never toured with someone I’ve been dating. Sure they’ve come on the road with me, but this is different. This is her performing every night and then me coming out and us doing some song together and then me finishing the concert. This is like what married artists do who have kids, like Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.

 

Mere and I just started out. And my tour is different, it’s clubs, it’s no frills, just the music and I know she can pull it off, but she’s never done that before. She always has backup dancers and I don’t know if she’s ever really performed with a live band, one that she really interacts with.

 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m really looking forward to it and I really think it’ll give her some more credibility. Maybe people will stop seeing her as just another female pop act and see the amazing amount of talent she has. But I’m still nervous. And it’s been hard because I can’t really say that to her because I don’t wanna hurt her feelings and make her think that I’m doubting her or us.

 

I actually have more faith in her than, than I think she realizes. I wish I had a way to show her that, really show her.

 

I haven’t felt this way in a long, long time. Sometimes I catch myself thinking about her and I have to wonder if I’ve ever felt this way before. I was so immature in my previous relationships. I tried to pretend that I wasn’t, I tried to act like I knew everything and its not to say those relationships weren’t serious, ‘cause dammit they were, but its just so different now.

 

And Meredith, well at times I still think she has a lot of growing up to do. A lot of times I think she’s just too optimistic, too trusting, too blind to how the world really is. But she’s not stupid and she’s not naïve.

 

She’s special.

 

And she’s mine.

 

I smile, blink and focus on the guy in front of me and slide my hand into his.

 

“Thanks for the chat, Justin!”

 

I shake his hand and nod. “No problem.”

 

I walk away from that part of the press line, hearing other reporters shout my name, camera men and fans are screaming it to. I just walk right over to Trace who was behind me standing a few feet away and say, “’Who’s next?”

 

He guides me further along the carpet and I’m thankful that we are almost done. I really do hate this shit. “Access Hollywood, then MTV and then wave and smile and then we’re done.” I do what he says and wave and smile to some of the fans there. Shit, those girls look like they might fall out of their seats and over that damn wall. That would suck.

 

“Thank god.”

 

I look over where Trace is walking and follow him over to where Access Hollywood has stationed themselves. Ya know, I think something’s going on with Trace. And he hasn’t told me yet and I haven’t pushed cause I know that he’ll tell me eventually. But I think something happened with him in Tennessee and I’m not really sure what. He’s been quieter than normal, and he’s been spending a hell of a lot of time on his phone, which is normal, but he’s been getting these calls and keeps like leaving the room, and that’s not abnormal, but he does it like every time the damn thing rings. Maybe Elisha’s been calling again.

 

Mere has told me her theory, but I refuse to believe he’s sleeping with Courtney until I hear it from his own damn mouth.

 

I shake my head and wave some more and walk right over to Billy who’s standing there with a microphone talking to his camera man. He spots me and waves me over with his microphone, saying my name. I see the camera lights are on so this is going to go straight into interview. Sometimes you get a small prep time but I guess not today.

 

“Hey Justin.”

 

“Hey, long time no see.” I say and I shake his hand. I’ve done lots of interviews with Billy Bush. He’s a pretty cool guy. Kind of looks weird to me, but whatever. He’s never that annoying, asks the normal stuff and will sometimes throw in a different question which can be fun to answer. ‘Cause these red carpet things, shit, you’d think people could be a little more original in their questions. I guess it’s a challenge for me to try to answer the same questions in different ways.

 

“Saying that to me?” He laughs. “What about you! Acting seems to have taken up all your time. How does it feel to be here at the movie awards now that you’ve starred in a couple?”

 

I put on my charming interview smile and nod. “Definitely have much more respect for what goes on in the movie business, but the great thing about the MTV awards is they’re always fun, never take themselves too seriously.”

 

“Speaking of serious, we’ve got some news this week that your album date is September 12th, correct.”

 

I nod again and smile. “Yes.”

 

“And you are going to be going on tour in a few weeks…”

 

I think I know where Billy’s headed. I’m surprised more people didn’t ask tonight. Very surprised it, well she, didn’t take over all my interviews. But I know where he’s going with these questions and I just smile and go along with it. “Yes, we just got all that planned out and the dates and everything and we start rehearsals next week.”

 

He smiles at me and says, “Rumor has it that a special someone is going to be tagging along for the tour.” Then he pushes the microphone in my face.

 

“Billy, I never thought you listened to rumors.” I just try and play it off. I’m sure he’s talked to her already tonight and I know it’s going to be huge news tonight or tomorrow or whenever they air this interview and its headlines that me and Mere are official. Whatever.

 

“Actually these rumors are true. It came out today that Meredith Craven is going to be touring with you. She’s performing tonight as well.”

 

“Yes.” Ok, this is getting a little awkward. It’s kind of weird talking about her with someone else, someone in the press. I guess I should get use to it since we agreed not to hide it. He hasn’t even asked me if I’m dating her, yet.

 

“And you two worked together on both your albums and now you’re going on tour together.” I nod and this new look comes over his face, a new little mischievous look that I don’t really know if I like. I’ve never had a problem with Billy, but I’m starting to get nervous. “So what do you have to say about the rumors that you two are dating?”

 

I laugh, and forget the fact that my stomach is starting to ache. “Who says that they are rumors?”

 

“Well…” Billy laughs. “In fact, she does.”

 

I blink.

 

What did he just say?

 

“We just talked to her a few minutes ago and she said you guys were just good friends and didn’t have time for relationships right now.”

 

I just stare at him. I know I have this weird, curious, little stupid grin on my face. I’m in shock.

 

She denied me. Fucking told the world we weren’t together. But…but we discussed this.

 

We had a fucking meeting with Angie and Johnny.

 

We agreed. What…what the hell?

 

“Justin?”

 

I can hear my heart beat in my ears and snap out of my weird daze when Billy Bush says my name and I smile and laugh it off, doing what I’ve been trained to do for the past ten years when questions like this happen: bull shit. “Well you know how some girls are, they always like to play hard to get. But I’m sure she’s gonna bring down the house tonight and our tour together is gonna be unstoppable. So you guys be on the look out for the dates to come out in just a few days.”

 

I think Billy takes the hint, plus he knows he only gets a certain amount of time with me. He nods and puts his hand out for me to shake again. “Alright. Sounds great. As always, it’s a pleasure Mr. Timberlake. Enjoy your night.”

 

“Thanks Billy.” I smile tightly and whip around and march over to Trace, mumbling through my teeth, “What the fuck was that?”

 

“I don’t know. I thought you guys planned not to lie.”

 

“We did…” I sigh and look at him, pleading with him. Shit, I don’t know what to do. I feel like my world just got blown up a little bit. Ok that’s pretty dramatic thinking, but shit. I can see it now: “Timberlake says Yes, Craven says No,” “Is Meredith really playing hard to get or is Justin delusional?”

 

Fuck, maybe I am delusional.

 

This has to be a bad dream. Wake up Justin. WAKE UP!

 

Shit, I’m still here. “What the hell Trace? I talked to her about this two hours ago on the phone to confirm everything.”

 

He takes a deep breath and blows it out, “Calm down, we’ll handle it in a second, you still got interviews to do.”

 

Fuck. Why did I wear this fucking sweater? I push up the sleeves and wave and smile and bull shit my life some more. It’s hot as fuck. We walk slowly down the carpet some more. I wanna run. I wanna find her and figure out what the hell she was thinking. Is she pissed at me? Is this some joke?

 

‘Cause its not fucking funny!

 

“Shit. I even told another reporter we were dating. Now there’s gonna be all this conflicting shit all over the press.”

 

“Like I said, calm down. Smile and wave and go over and do MTV and we’ll figure it out.” He literally pushes on my back toward the raised MTV platform and the next few minutes blur by.

 

I don’t even know what the hell I say to the reporter. I have no idea. I just go, I do my normal shit and thankfully she doesn’t ask me a damn thing about Meredith. Everything blurs but it doesn’t happen fast.

 

It seems to take a long time until I’m really conscious of what’s happening around me. The next thing I really remember is being in my seat in the auditorium, glancing around, trying not to look too suspicious, trying to find out where the hell she’s sitting so maybe I can go figure out what the hell her little brain is thinking. Trace is talking to me, acting like we’re in this deep discussion but I know he’s just covering for me, just so that other people don’t start talking to me and asking me questions. I pull my hat off my head and run my hand over my hair.

 

“Where the hell is she, Trace?”

 

“I don’t know, she’s probably already in her dressing room.”

 

That gives me an idea and I slide out my Sidekick from my slacks pocket and log onto the internet so maybe I can IM her if she’s on, it’s too noisy to call and I might leave her a text but I’ll try this first.

 

Thankfully when I sign on I see her name there in the list thing and immediately send her a message.

 

ButtMonkey81: Where are you?

 

I wait like a minute and it feels like it’s taking forever. Trace is laughing at me. I know I’m blowing this up, but my mind is running the worst case scenario. Like maybe she hates me now, maybe something happened and she was just fucking with me this whole time and now she’s gonna ruin me in front of everyone just to get me back for being an asshole that one time.

 

But she wouldn’t do that. I…I have more faith in her than that.

 

More faith in us.

 

I just don’t understand what the fuck she was thinking. Is her fucking memory short term or something? Does she not remember me calling her an hour or two ago confirming that she wanted to tell everyone? She said yes and said she wanted the world to know that I was her man and that she couldn’t wait to get drunk with me tonight and party.

 

I sigh and glance down, thankful she finally responded.

 

NoYouMayNot: dressing room

NoYouMayNot: i’m next to christina’s room. there’s a bathroom right outside of it. come see me ;)

 

I sign off and slide my phone back in my pocket and stand up. “Come on…”

 

“Whoa, hold up…”

 

I look down at Trace and shrug, “I’m going to find Meredith. You wanna stay here, then stay here.”

 

He sighs and pushes himself out of the chair and I just turn and start to walk, trying to figure out where the fuck I’m supposed to go. It’s like the longer I don’t know what’s going on and the longer that I’m completely in the dark about why she said what she said, the more angry I get. And it’s not really that I’m angry at her, I just…

 

I hate being confused like this. I hate looking like a fucking fool.

 

“I’m sure she’s not pissed or anything.”

 

“Well I am.”

 

I don’t look at him and push myself into the backstage area, ignoring the waves and the random “hey Justin’s” from people that I kind of know.

 

It doesn’t take that long to find her room and I stand there in front of her door. It’s halfway open and I push it open a little bit and everyone looks up. Courtney’s there, and Shanda is too, working on Meredith’s make up. There are some other girls in there as well, about three of them. I don’t know them but they look like they might be some of her dancers.

 

“Hey guys…” She smiles at me, brightly and it’s genuine and I’m completely confused. Either she’s a really good actress or she has no idea what she just did out there on the red carpet. Is she really that dumb?

 

Maybe...maybe Billy got his info mixed up. No, no that’s impossible.

 

I don’t move my eyes from her and the shadowy makeup she has on. I notice that her smile drops and she sits up a little bit in her chair. “Can I talk to you alone?”

 

She opens her mouth to speak but instead Shanda speaks up for her. “No, I gotta get her ready.”

 

I cross my arms over my chest and come in the small room after pushing the door all the way open. Everyone’s staring at me and I glance at Courtney, expecting to get some accusatory judging stare, but she’s not looking at me. I roll my eyes, “Then everyone else can leave.”

 

“What’s wrong…” Her voice is a whisper.

 

“I need to talk to you.” I know I sound like an asshole but I feel I have a good reason to act this way.

 

The next thing I know Courtney is standing up and pushing the other people in the room past me. “Come on girls, you guys need to get your outfits on anyway.”

 

They leave and it’s just me, Shanda and Meredith. I don’t even know where the hell Trace is. It doesn’t matter right now. All that matters is figuring out what the fuck is going on.

 

She shakes her head, her hair is pulled back in a slick ponytail and it bounces as her head moves. She narrows her eyes at me, glaring. “What the hell?”

 

It sets me off and I know it shouldn’t but I can’t help it and I go flying. I throwing my fucking hat on the small bench they have on the other side of the room and stare at her. “I should be asking YOU that! What the fuck were you thinking?”

 

“Um, excuse me…” She brushes Shanda’s hands away and sits up in her chair. “What are you talking about?”

 

“The red carpet.” I try to pace but I can’t cause the room is so small and I find myself biting at my nails. I force them into my pockets to make me stop and glare at her. She’s glaring back at me and I don’t understand it. This is her fucking fault.

 

I think.

 

“I thought we agreed that we weren’t going to lie about being together and you fucking lied, unless of course you don’t want to be with me or something…”

 

Suddenly the color drains in her face and she falls back against her chair and uncrosses her legs, making her white robe slip open a little bit. “What…” She licks her lips nervously and taps her thumb on the arm of the chair. Finally she moves so she’s standing up and pacing in front of me. “I- I was told right before I got out of the limo that the plan had changed, that your management wouldn’t let us.”

 

“What? My management?” I laugh bitterly. Is she serious? My management wouldn’t fuck something up like that. They haven’t since I’ve been in this fucking business. Why would they start now? “Are you fucking serious?”

 

“Whoa, you two calm down just a second…” I feel a hand on my shoulder and look over at the girl that’s standing kind of in between us, her hands on each of our shoulders. She looks at me and then at Meredith. “I’m gonna go out for a few minutes but I’ll be right back. Try not to kill each other.”

 

I just put my arms over my chest and the door clicks shut.

 

She takes a breath and looks at me, looks…shit, looks at me like she’s about to cry.

 

I think I’m starting to get it now. She doesn’t know what the hell is going on. And neither do I.

 

“Justin…I’m serious. What’s going on?”

 

I take in a deep breath and unfold my arms. “I had an interview with Access Hollywood and they asked me about you and I told them we were together, or at least hinted at it and then the fucking guy told me that you told him we were just friends and too busy or some shit for a relationship. He said you denied it, right after I pretty much confirmed that we were together.”

 

She puts her hand on her forehead and goes to sit down again. “Courtney told me to say that…”

 

What.

 

What?

 

I knew it. I fucking knew it.

 

“Courtney?” I say, my voice is hoarse. I know I wasn’t screaming just now. It better not be this way when I have to take the stage to present an award.

 

“Justin…” She sighs and holds her head in her hands. “Angie called her like an hour and half ago and said she talked to Johnny and everything and that we weren’t supposed to say anything. I was just doing what they told me to.”

 

“What happened to not letting people tell you what to do?”

 

Ok, I know I shouldn’t have said that. That…that was out of line. But I’m having a hard time controlling my emotions. What does she expect? I’ve been thrown for a loop here, and that normally doesn’t happen. I’ve actually never had this happen in an interview in a situation where I couldn’t just walk out. I’ve had people be asses to me, and I have walked out of interviews before, but I’ve never had a situation like this, where the interviewer was just doing his job, wasn’t being mean, maybe a little sneaky but not talking shit.

 

He was telling me the truth, at least the truth that he thought.

 

Why…why the hell would Courtney or whoever tell her to change her mind? I sure as hell know that Johnny didn’t change his!

 

“Justin!” She stands up again and shakes her head at me. “Dammit I don’t need this. I have to perform in fucking 15 minutes.”

 

“Shit.” I turn around from her and kick the bench there just a little bit, not hard. “Shit shit shit.” My hat falls on the floor.

 

It’s quiet and I take a few calming breaths, just staring at my damned hat on the ground. How could a night I was kind of actually looking forward to turn into this utter shit?

 

I feel a hand on my back and I turn and she’s right there in front of me. Her robes opened in the front now and I can see her black underwear underneath. It’s funny. I don’t even think I could think about sex right now if I wanted to. I look her in the eyes and she’s looking up at me, pleading at me to believe her. And I do. Dammit I do. I just don’t understand how this could get so fucked up. “I thought you were gonna deny it, too. I didn’t know. I swear.”

 

She reaches for my torso and hugs me tightly and I just sigh and put a hand on her back. “I told people we were together Mere and then they are gonna see you denying it and it’s gonna be blown up and…”

 

She pulls away a little bit and smiles up at me. It calms me a little, but not a lot. “Stop being paranoid. We’ll just tell them that it was a joke or something.”

 

“A joke?” Is she serious?

 

“Ya know.” She shakes her head and pulls away from me, the happy look she just had fading from her face. “I haven’t seen you in a fucking week and this is the welcome I get…”

 

I watch her walk over and plop down in her chair. She turns it so she’s not facing my way and fumbles with her phone, not looking at me, ignoring me.

 

“Mere…” She doesn’t say anything and I go over and turn her chair back to me and look at her in her eyes, leaning down towards her. I fucked up ok? I admit it. I was a bit of an asshole to her, but she has to understand why. I’m sure she would flip out on me crying and shit if Billy fucking Bush told her I denied having a relationship with her.

 

“Meredith…”

 

She shakes her head and looks away from me. “Just get out.”

 

“I’m sorry, ok?”

 

She sits up and stares at me. Shit. When I was an ass to her in Miami she looked hurt. She looked betrayed and lost. But not now.

 

No she looks like she’s livid.

 

She’s pissed. At me. Shit.

 

“I got a hell of a lot more important stuff to think about right now than you being pissed at me for doing what I was told.”

 

“Well then you don’t be pissed at me, ok?”

 

She stands up and it forces me to take a step back. Shit, for a second there I thought she was going to smack me or something. “Then you don’t be fucking pissed at me! Five minutes ago I was in the best fucking mood ‘cause I was about to perform and I knew you were coming to see me and now you’re…you’re…”

 

“I’m sorry!” I yell at her. God, now she’s making me feel like shit. And I know I was an ass but none of this is my fault. She’s got to understand me. She knows I hate it when I’m not in control and when shit blows up like this. She knows that.

 

At least I thought she did.

 

She just closes her eyes and sits back down in the chair.

 

There’s a knock and then the door opens and I watch Shanda slip in and close the door behind her. “I gotta finish you up girl, sorry…”

 

Meredith shrugs and then stares at me. “You’re welcome to stay here, but I do not want you in here if you’re gonna be making me feel like shit.”

 

“I won’t, I promise.” I go sit down on the bench and pick up my hat and stare at the back of her head as Shanda starts doing more to her face. “I’m sorry I busted in here and put you in a bad mood.”

 

“You should be.”

 

“Meredith…” I sigh, and I try to think of something to change the mood, something sweet that’ll make her happy. I know I just fucked up. I shouldn’t have gotten her all messed up and angry before her performance. I’ll admit that was wrong of me. But, I can’t help it. I’m an intense person and I get emotional easily and she knows that.

 

“When I’m done performing and after you present, we’re leaving.”

 

“What?” I lick my lips and narrow my eyes at the back of her head. She’s still pissed at me. Her voice still has that bitter tone.

 

I see her look at me through the mirror and she stares. “You said earlier today you didn’t want to stay late anyway, so we’re leaving and we’re gonna go home and talk about this.”

 

“What else do we have to talk about?” I sigh. Dammit I’m tired of this conversation. Her people fucked up. Big time. And that’s that. And I don’t wanna discuss it. I just wanna get over this and get home. It’s been a fucking week since I’ve been with her and now our first moments together are all ruined. And…and I know I was the one to ruin them and well, shit. I don’t wanna admit that. My pride won’t let me. I’m sorry for yelling at her, but I’m not gonna apologize for this situation ‘cause it wasn’t my fault. She might have been doing what she was told on the red carpet but so was I, dammit.

 

So was I.

 

Shanda turns her in her chair and I get to look at her face to face. She laughs at me, fucking laughs at me. “Are you serious right now?”

 

“Look, I’m just a little confused how it all could just blow up like this.”

 

She starts to smile an angry smile, and then she shakes her head, rolling her eyes too. “Maybe because you’re the one that blew it up.”

 

I bite my tongue. I need to get out of here before I fuck up more. I push myself off the bench and nod at her. “I’m gonna leave. Good luck on your performance.”

 

“Yeah…” She rolls her eyes at me again and I decide to just leave the room and get out of here and give her some space.

 

Shit. This is not good.

 

Trace is leaning against the opposite wall, yawning.

 

I look at him for a moment and he notices me and nods. I just cross my arms over my chest, look down one way of the hallway and then the next and then stare at him again.

 

“Where’s Courtney?”

 

“I don’t know…” He shrugs.

 

He’s lying and I glare at him. “Find her.”

 

That bitch is going to hear it from me.

 

‘Cause I know this was her doings. I knew from the fucking moment I met her that she was planning something. And even if she wasn’t planning this, she probably got her information wrong and now Meredith and I are fighting and there’s gonna be a big tabloid story. And even if she was doing what someone told her, I wanna know every god damn word that was said. I was working out with Jason this past week and he brought along one of his friends. We were just talking and he said he worked for this photography company that did a lot of celebrity shoots. The name of the company sounded familiar. I racked my brain trying to remember where it was from and it was from when Angie and I were talking at the Look Your Way shoot. We were talking about Courtney, I was asking her where she found her.

 

And she told me. It was the same place Jason’s friend worked at. So I asked him if he knew her.

 

He knew her. But this friend of Jason’s knew something else too.

 

“What’s…”

 

I shake my head at him, grit my teeth and cut him off.

 

“Find her.”
Chapter 20 by Mere

On Sunset, 8:31 p.m.

 

It’s silent in the car.

 

The awkward type of silence but I guess I’m thankful for it because it’s a change from the screaming match that took place, oh about 30 seconds ago. After Justin talked to Meredith he went rabid trying to find Courtney, but she seemed to disappear and I was glad. He kept mumbling shit about everything being her fault. He’s letting stress get to him and he’s getting in his paranoid mode. It happened when he started promo before he released Justified. Justin’s normally a cool guy, but every now and then he gets in his place where he’s so paranoid about everything. He’s been this way since I’ve known him, but now that he’s in the spotlight so much his paranoia is a little more extreme at times. It’s not that he’s unstable or needs mental help or something. He can just get a little panicky when things start going wrong.

 

Still doesn’t excuse him from yelling at Courtney a few seconds ago. When we couldn’t find her at the awards we just sat down in our seats and watched the show. Meredith’s performance was really good and Justin seemed to relax a bit and enjoy it. Then he had to go up and present. As soon as he finished and walked back to the backstage area, she was there with a water bottle in her hand, talking to Shanda. Courtney was there too, and she asked us if we wanted to go ahead and leave with them.

 

Justin said, “gladly” in this sarcastic, smart ass tone.

 

I tried to pull her aside and warn her that I thought Justin might go off on her, but Justin kept talking to me, distracting me. We made our way outside and got in the limo Meredith came in. She was acting weird, too. She’s not said a word since we got in this damn thing, just sat in the corner, looking out the window, ignoring everything and everyone, especially Justin. She’s even got her legs crossed and her body turned away from him since he’s sitting beside her. Courtney’s sitting across from me on the seat against the side of the limo. Justin told me he and his girl argued before, and he better start begging for forgiveness ‘cause she looks pissed.

 

And the one person that really should be pissed right now, isn’t angry, at least she doesn’t look that way. No she’s just sitting back here, looking down in her lap, trying not to cry. She’s upset and I know that’s soon going to be turned against her and she might blow up.

 

And then he’ll blow up, too. Shit, this isn’t fun.

 

‘Cause Justin can be an asshole and not give a shit about making other people feel horrible when he’s pissed.

 

I’m still unsure what all happened tonight, what mixed up. But so far what I’ve figured out is that Angie called Courtney right before Meredith was going to take the red carpet and was panicking and saying that Justin’s management and her decided that they need to still keep it under wraps and they would do an official statement through their reps later in the week. All Courtney had time to tell Meredith was that she needed to say no to any question about her love life. But it’s not really Courtney’s fault. She was just doing what she was told. I just don’t know how someone’s management could get so confused about all this. I called Johnny and he confirmed that they did talk about doing an official statement later in the week, but he wasn’t sure how Angie got the idea for them to deny their relationship.

 

“Do you understand that your story makes no sense?”

 

Shit. Justin, why do you have to start this back up? I’d say it to his face but I know I’d get nothing more than a cold stare.

 

“I told you what happened!” She yells at him and smacks the leather on both sides of her. “What more do you want from me?”

 

Here we go again.

 

Justin crosses his arms over his chest and glares at her. “You know I don’t trust you, so this just makes me question a lot of things.”

 

“Well it doesn’t matter if you trust me, it matters if Meredith trusts me and she does.” I notice Meredith rolling her eyes. I don’t blame her. Some people say it’s bad to keep things bottled up, but I think she’s being pretty damn smart. I know she wants to go off on Justin and she’s waiting, waiting until they are at home so she doesn’t embarrass him. She’s a private person and she knows he is too. I’d almost pay to see her tell Justin off. I bet it would be funny. I bet he’d start getting defensive and be pleading and begging for forgiveness and she’d just blow him off.

 

Justin, though, decided to have no tact tonight. He’s trying to embarrass Courtney and it’s not cool. I’d tell him to stop, but I don’t know. Then he’d just be pissed at me.

 

“Do you, Mere?”

 

She shrugs Justin’s hand off her shoulder and glares at him. “I’m not a part of this conversation.”

 

He gives her this unbelieving look and I glance at Courtney. She’s just huffing and rolling her eyes at them. Shit, I wonder if they have liquor in this damn car. Maybe that’ll make everyone else lighten up. I hate it when people are all pissy and fighting like this. “You have to. It deals with you. You can’t just sit there.”

 

“Watch me.” She glares at Justin and pushes herself off the seat and comes over to plop down on the other side of me. She curls up away from me, too and starts to take off her shoes, setting the spiky heels in her lap.

 

I hear Courtney laugh and look up to see her staring Justin down. “You’ve pissed her off, so don’t expect her to be all over you.”

 

“Just shut up!” He bites out at her. “I mean really Courtney, whose fucking management is stupid enough to call right before someone takes the carpet? And then why didn’t someone call me and tell me? It just makes no sense. I think you’re lying.”

 

“Yes, ‘cause you think I’ve lied about everything since you met me Justin. I don’t know what it is about me that you hate, but this fight right here is just an excuse for you to bitch at me ‘cause you don’t like me. And it’s pathetic and childish.”

 

He laughs all bitter and I run a hand over my head. This is just great. Now I’m starting to get a migraine. “Childish? You’re calling me childish?”

 

“‘Cause you are. You’re a fucking asshole and you know it. You think you’re god’s fucking gift to humanity and I really don’t understand how everyone is so stupid and thinks you’re the coolest person in the world. You’re a son of bitch and you know it.”

 

He shakes his head and I lean my neck back against the cushion and close my eyes, slouching in the seat, wishing I could tone them out. “You call me ‘childish’ and yet, here you are calling me names.”

 

I need a vacation again. Like not going home to Tennessee, but on a beach with a beer doing nothing for days. Yeah, so we got back from Miami a few weeks ago, but still. I need peace and quiet, away from Justin and Courtney and even poor Meredith and all their drama.

 

“But it’s the truth! I told Meredith the next time you were an asshole to her I wasn’t just going to stand by and watch you treat her like shit, so I’m not.”

 

“This doesn’t have anything to do with her! This is about you fucking up!”

 

God, Justin really is an idiot sometimes. He just walked right into that one. It proves to me that he really doesn’t even know why he’s yelling. He’s just worked himself up and can’t get over his pride. If Justin has a good reason to be mad at someone they won’t be able to win the argument. He’ll get the last laugh and they’ll realize they were wrong and beg for forgiveness.

 

But right now he’s the one that’s in the wrong, not Courtney, and he’s fumbling, trying to deal with it.

 

I just sigh and listen as Courtney calls him out on it. “I thought you said a few minutes ago that this had everything to do with Meredith and that’s why you were trying to drag her into the argument.”

 

I like that about her. She doesn’t take any shit. Of course she’s as messed up as Justin about these arguments that don’t really have any foundation, but whatever. I’m not going to point out all her similarities that she has with him, that’d probably just make her kick me in the balls or something.

 

“Stop trying to analyze what I say.”

 

I open my eyes and glance at him. He’s got his arms over his chest and is staring out of the window, trying not to pout and look like a little kid. It’s kind of funny. I glance over at Courtney and she has this little angry, victorious smile on her face. She’s gone from her head bent and her hands in her lap, to angry, pissed off Courtney.

 

A woman shouldn’t look this sexy when she’s angry. It’s just not fair.

 

She laughs at him. “What’s there to analyze when you never say anything of value?”

 

It’s quiet for a moment and I close my eyes again, thinking maybe she’s finally put him in his place and we’ll all get home and everything will just die down and be normal again tomorrow morning.

 

“How much value is this then?” My eyes pop open and I stare at him. What the hell is he going to say? He has his cocky grin on his face and is smiling all smug at her. Fuck. “Why’d you get fired?”

 

Her eyes dart in her lap and she shrugs, trying to act like she doesn’t know what he’s saying. What is he saying? “What are you talking about?” she asks.

 

He licks his lips and stretches his legs out in front of him. “At Whitham or whatever it’s called.”

 

I stare at her. Her face is red, she looks like she might explode, but she doesn’t. Her voice is quiet and timid. “Wh-what are you talking about?”

 

“I was hoping you could explain that to me.” He shrugs.

 

I glance back over at Courtney. She was fired? How did she get fired? I thought she said she was just tired of it and wanted to get into doing PA stuff. “I don’t know what you are talking about and neither do you.”

 

“Nice cover, bitch.”

 

He laughs at her and I know I should hit him for using that word with her, but I don’t. I just stare as Courtney leans forward towards him and narrows her eyes. “Look-”

 

“Just both of you shut the fuck up, God!”

 

I blink and slowly turn my head to my left. Meredith is glaring at Justin and then moves her glare to Courtney. She’s got her hand against her forehead and I don’t think I’ve ever seen the girl this pissed off. I’ve seen her upset a couple times, but shit. She’s livid.

 

Justin starts to speak. “I’m-”

 

“No!” She screams and then takes a breath and leans forward. “Just shut up.”

 

The next thing I know she’s turned the radio onto the local Top 40 station and turned it up so loud so that none of us can really think about anything else. It’s a good idea. I pass her a sympathetic look. Poor girl, she knows what happened tonight was a mess up, but she’s probably the one being the most mature right now. I’m with her and don’t blame her for screaming at them. Justin and Courtney are both being a little immature.

 

I mean I feel sorry for both of them and know they both think they are in the right. But they really should just cool off before they start ripping each other apart.

 

Thankfully, we aren’t far from Justin’s place. After about two songs and some commercials on the radio we end up at Justin’s. The poor limo driver doesn’t even have time to get out of the car and open the door for us before Meredith bolts out. Damn, what did Justin and her argue about? She seems really pissed off.

 

We all file out after her and she marches straight to Justin’s front door barefooted. He’s trying his best to catch up to her.

 

“Meredith, we got that photo shoot around lunch time tomorrow…” Courtney says. Meredith just waves her off and glares at Justin and he gets his door open. “Meredith!” Courtney calls after her, but the door is shut and we’re left in the driveway, alone with the limo driver.

 

“Just let her go,” I say, putting my hands on her shoulders and squeezing them gently.

 

She twists away from me and glares. “Don’t touch me.”

 

She looks like she’s about to break down. Shit, she’s gonna break down. I gotta fix this. I don’t want her to start crying and stuff.

 

“What?”

 

She ignores me and walks over to the driver who’s standing there. Poor guy, he probably thinks we’re a bunch of freaks. I guess we kind of are. “Thank you for driving Jake. Do you think you could take me back to my-”

 

I cut her off and shake the guy’s hand. “She’s staying here, thanks man.”

 

I grab her arm and start to pull her towards my house. She doesn’t protest at first, but finally pushes me off her once we get closer to my home and whispers to me, “Are you serious? Get off me.” I don’t know why she’s whispering now.

 

“Courtney, stop it.” I look her in the eyes and grab her upper arms and force her to look back at me. “You look like you’re about to cry. Just come in and talk to me. I’ll take you home in a second. Just cool off a bit first.”

 

She frowns and breaks away from me, walking to my house. “I hate you.”

 

I just smile and follow her, pulling out my keys. We end up in my house and she drops herself onto my couch. I walk past her and into the kitchen, opening up the fridge. “You want a drink?”

 

“I want to go home.”

 

I look up and she’s got her face in her hands and she’s leaning forward. I hear her sniff.

 

I shut the fridge and come right over to her and sit down. Shit! I…I didn’t know she was going to cry. God, I hope she stops. “Are…are you crying?”

 

I try to rub her back but she jumps away like I’m poisonous or something. She hisses out at me, “Don’t touch me.” And then wipes at her face.

 

Shit.

 

“Courtney…”

 

“I don’t understand it, what did I do?” She shakes her head. God, she’s a fucking mess. I didn’t know Justin got to her this bad.

 

Oh God. Don’t tell me she has some sort of….thing for him.

 

I suck in a breath and press my back into the couch staring straight in front of me. “Look I don’t know what’s-“

 

She cuts me off and is glaring at me. “How can you be friends with him?”

 

I don’t say anything for a while because I’m trying to think about how to explain this to her. I admit Justin can get in these horrible moods and can come off as a complete asshole. But he’s not a bad guy. I just don’t know how I’m gonna try and explain to Courtney why he is the way he is. I sigh and turn to her on the couch, speaking slowly to make sure I word everything right. The last thing I need is to say something wrong and then have her take it the wrong way and go blab to Justin and have him put me on his chopping block.

 

“Justin is just, he’s closed off. He doesn’t trust people easily, at all. I know he’s going to regret what he said to you and he’ll probably apologize tomorrow. He’s getting stressed ‘cause of all the album stuff and unfortunately he’s taking it out on you. And that’s not fair at all, I agree. It’s not that Justin cares about bad press. Bad press is going to happen and he knows that. It’s just made up shit. But this wasn’t. This was something he thought he had under control. When his control is taken away from him suddenly and unexpected he freaks out.” I lick my lips and dare myself to say it even though I know I might not have any genitalia left after I do. “You do it, too. You’re more alike than you think. Remember Tennessee, remember after we-”

 

She cuts me off with a harsh voice before I can say anymore. “Stop it. I don’t want to talk about that.”

 

I lean down to try and get her to look at me. “Maybe we should, Courtney. I haven’t really gotten a chance to talk to you since that night I came over to Justin’s.”

 

She shakes her head and grins just slightly, “And you hit my window with a stick.”

 

I start to smile and put my arm around her and squeeze her a bit. “See…it’s not…”

 

She pulls away and cuts me off, again. “Why didn’t you stick up for me on the drive back?”

 

I open my mouth to speak but then shut it, realizing I don’t know how to respond. Finally I say, “What?”

 

She crosses her arms over her chest and narrows her eyes at me, challenging me. “You agree Justin was overreacting, right?”

 

“Yeah, but…”

 

“Then why are you so ashamed to stick up for me?”

 

Great. I can’t win. I just can’t win. Either I piss off my best friend or I piss off the girl I’m…the girl I…

 

I don’t even know what she is to me. Shit.

 

She continues. “Why did you have to hide the fact that we were having a conversation that night at Justin’s? Why are you so scared he’s gonna find out that we had sex?” She rolls her eyes. “You’re not dating him, its not cheating.”

 

I sigh and rub my forehead. That migraine is starting to come back and I should probably just get some Advil and go lay down and let her do her thing. “You just don’t understand. I normally tell Justin everything, but I haven’t told him this ‘cause I know he won’t approve.”

 

She laughs bitterly and stands up off the couch. “Oh…nice. Thanks.”

 

Like I said, I just can’t win.

 

“Courtney…”

 

She turns and stares down at me, her hands waving in the air. “You know how pathetic you sound right now. You let him walk over you, too. Dammit, what is with you people! He’s not all that great!”

 

I stand up and shake my head at her, trying to remain calm. If I let myself get upset and angry then this is going to blow up and neither of us need that right now. “Why are you so defensive?”

 

She grits her teeth and grabs at her hair. “Because he hates me Trace! He fucking hates me and no one sticks up for me and says to him that he’s wrong or that he has no right or reason to. Not Meredith, not you. Hell you’re fucking ashamed to even tell him that, that we’re…”

 

I get closer to her and stare at her. “That we’re what?”

 

She looks down at the floor and shrugs, breathing heavily. “I don’t even know ‘cause I don’t even know what the hell we are.”

 

I sigh and pull her against me and hug her. I think she needs it. I think she needs someone to force her to just take a moment and breathe. “Calm down, ok?”

 

I feel her hug me back and lean her head against my shoulder. This, this is much better and I’m glad she’s not pushing me away. I’m no where near ready to get into some sort of romantic relationship with her, but I’ll admit that I like her, I do. When she’s not freaking out about everything.

 

“I am, I’m fucking calm.”

 

I laugh a little bit, “No you’re not.” I run my hand over her back and then pull away and look at her. “If you want me to tell him, I will. I just don’t know what good it’s going to do.”

 

She stares at me. “I just don’t see why we have to be sneaky.”

 

I look away from her. “We’re not dating Courtney.”

 

“I know that.” She pulls away and sits back down on the couch, looking up at me as I walk over to her and sit down again. “But sleeping together isn’t…wasn’t a crime. It happened. And I don’t regret it, either. I just don’t understand why you didn’t even stick up for me in the car when you knew he was in the wrong.”

 

“‘Cause I choose not to deal with Justin when he’s irrational like that. I’ll talk to him tomorrow, ok? I swear I will.”


She takes a breath and nods but doesn’t say anything else to me. It’s quiet so I get up and go to the kitchen to try and look busy, but before I can try and open the fridge or start loading the dishwasher she speaks up. “You should probably take me home.”

 

I shrug and stare at her. “You can stay.”

 

“Right.” She shakes her head at me.

 

I come back out and sit down in one of the barstools by the counter near my kitchen. “Courtney, I’m serious. Stay with me tonight.”

 

She folds her arms over her chest and stares at me. “So all this being nice to me right now is so you can get some ass?”

 

I can’t believe that. I actually hadn’t even thought about it that much tonight. Sure, when I saw her for the first time when Justin went to Mere’s dressing room I thought about how cute she looked and how I wished I could treat her right, like, really spend time with her and show her I cared about her more than just a fast fuck in the backseat of a car. But I didn’t get the chance and I was so occupied with Justin’s freak out that I didn’t really have time to think about her in a sexual way.

 

“Did I mention sex?”

 

“No.”

 

It’s all she says and she just remains staring at my floor, looking miserable. Maybe she hates me now. Maybe this situation is just so fucked up I should just leave her alone and get her out of my sight. ‘Cause dammit, now she brought it up, so now I am fucking thinking about it. She’s got her hair down and she’s got on this purple v-neck shirt that’s all showing off her boobs. And her ass looks damn good in her black pants.

 

Now I am thinking about how soft her skin is and how hot and wet she was when I was fucking her. I grab my keys from where I put them on the counter and slide off the barstool. “So you want me to take you home.”

 

“No…” She sighs, “No…” and goes and sits back on my couch, looking up at me. “I…I’ll stay here.”

 

I stare at her. “Change your mind real fast or something?”

 

She doesn’t look at me and just shrugs. “I guess I don’t wanna go home…”

 

Oh, I get it now. Hell, I thought I was lonely but the more I realize it, the more I think Courtney, as much as she tries to play it off like she loves being independent and that her best friend is her work and herself, she hates being alone. “And be by yourself?”

 

She swallows hard and looks up at me. “Yeah.”

 

I nod at her and turn to the kitchen to figure out something for us to eat. I don’t know if she’s had dinner yet, but I sure haven’t. I pull out some beers for us and grab some chips. While I’m doing that, I hear the TV come on and glance over to see that she’s taken off her shoes and curled up in one corner of the couch with the remote in her hand. She is really pretty. Like, I think when I first saw her, that first time in New York I was shocked. I tried to play it off like I didn’t like her but that’s bull shit. She’s pretty, she’s hot. And I think from that moment I wanted her and was attracted to her. I tried to push it away ‘cause I was still so fucked up over Elisha.

 

I guess in a way I still am, but I don’t know. Courtney’s been a distraction. I just don’t know if it’s just a distraction or if I’m really ya know, moving on. I hope I am.

 

But damn is she looking hot tonight. I gotta control myself, though. Even if she asks for it and pushes me up against the couch like she did against the car in the rain, I can’t. I don’t want her yelling at me and crying and getting upset and blaming me. Part of me wants to sleep with her again. Another part of me is terrified to. After that night of me sneaking around and tapping on her window and shit, after that conversation, that was it for us. I mean sure I came over and hung out with Justin and Mere and she was there. But she was so fucking reclusive and awkward. Meredith was trying her best to include her into things, but she was always tired or had work to do. What the fuck kind of work did she have to do?

 

This…this is the first time we’ve really been by ourselves since that day, that day I tapped on her window, that day I fucked her in the backseat of my mom’s car.

 

I almost laugh. I fucked someone in the backseat of my mom’s car.

 

I’m a slut.

 

I set the food down on the coffee table and get comfortable next to her, but I keep a good distance so that she won’t think I’m trying to make the moves on her. I guess I’ll sleep on the couch tonight and she can take my bed. I wouldn’t mind sharing a bed with her. I’d offer but I don’t want her assuming I’m trying to get in her pants.

 

Like I know she will.

 

There’s absolutely nothing on TV, not even on HBO. We end up watching some rerun of The Apprentice or something. I’m not really a fan, but she sets the remote down when it lands on it. We don’t talk, we just drink our damn beers and eat and watch.

 

It’s awkward, but I don’t complain because she’s calm and not yelling or crying or freaking out.

 

But I can’t help it. The silence is freaking me out, so I go and make up some bull shit question to ask her, “You want something to sleep in?”

 

She looks at her watch and laughs. “It’s not even nine, Trace.”

 

“Oh…well we can just watch TV or something.” I’m an idiot. I really act like an idiot when I like a girl. Shit, I’m not supposed to like Courtney. I mean of course I like her, but not….not in that way. Maybe in a couple months, after some time has past and I’m sure I’m over Elisha and know Court better. I’ve spent a bit of time with her, but I still feel like I don’t know her that well. Like I know nothing about her past and it’s not like it’s some secret she just, hasn’t reveled it. And in a way I kind of think she’s done it on purpose.

 

The Trump fires someone and she laughs at the fuss they make and I just watch her and think about what Justin brought up in the car. I try to stop myself, my brain thinks it then tells my mouth to shut up, but before my mouth tries to stop itself, it just comes out. “Were you really fired?”

 

And she turns slowly to me and stares. Great, hold onto your balls kid ‘cause she’s about to rip them off you.

 

She sucks in a breath and lets it out slowly and I wait in agony, about to grab myself. Finally, after a moment she says, “I was let go, it happens to a lot of people. I don’t know how Justin knows that, but it doesn’t matter to me. It’s not that big of a deal.”

 

“Oh…”

 

I don’t know how Justin found out about that, and I guess I should probably ask him about it sometime. I don’t think he’d be obsessive and paranoid enough to go through some massive background check on Courtney. That’s just ridiculous. And it was shit for him to pull it out like that and talk about it in front of everyone.

 

I should let him know that, too. I think I’ll talk to him tomorrow. I think I owe her that.

 

We finish watching the episode and when it’s done she promptly picks up the remote and shuts the TV off. I don’t know what that means. I mean, does she want to talk? Or just sit here?

 

I stare at her and she just looks at her beer bottle and then…shit, then she starts peeling off the label.

 

I should tell her to stop, tell her that it’s bad luck.

 

She tips it up and finishes it off. I stare at her lips around the narrow end of the bottle. I gulp and try to force my mind not to think what it’s thinking. But it’s too damn late. I wanna be that fucking bottle. She pulls it away and licks her lips, then puts the crumbled label and the bottle on the coffee table and sighs.

 

Then she turns to me and stares at me. I don’t know what to do and try to act like I don’t notice, looking around my small house, trying to think of something to talk about. But nothing comes to my mind. I just think about her and wonder what she’s doing and think about how her breasts look so good in her shirt and how pretty her hair is down against her shoulders.

 

I feel the couch shift and assume she’s going to get up, but then, shit, then I feel her lips against my neck and her hand against my stomach.

 

I…I wasn’t expecting this.

 

I feel her smile against my skin and she kisses me lightly against my neck and I feel her hand move down… Shit. I take in a sharp breath and turn to her. “Courtney…”

 

She stares at me, her eyes huge. She smiles. “Are you sure about this? I don’t want you to…”

 

Her hand touches my face and she leans in and kisses me lightly. “I’m not going to blow up.” She looks into my eyes and then down for a moment and then back up, whispering, “I…I want it.”

 

Oh God, I hope she’s right cause if I had any restraint in the world it just flew out the window. I let her kiss me again, harder this time. I even let her push me back on the couch and lay on top of me. I should push her away and I should tell her she’s not in the right mind, that she’s just looking for comfort and she doesn’t really want this.

 

But maybe she does really want this and if she’s looking for comfort, that’s not a crime.

 

I just let her use me. I know that’s such a bad thing to say, but I don’t mind it. Really I don’t. I just lay there and enjoy it, I let her kiss me. I kiss her back. I let her touch me and I touch her back, but I make a point not to be aggressive. I don’t want her to regret this. And I don’t want her to freak out and think I’m forcing her or that this doesn’t mean anything to me.

 

‘Cause it does. Shit, I think it means more than I realize. It…it makes me happy when I calm her down and ease her worries. And right now, with her on top of me, her head against my chest, laying there in just her underwear, that makes me feel good.

 

It’s the little moments like this that make me wonder if maybe I got it wrong. Maybe…maybe I am ready. Maybe I do like her more than I admit to.

 

But I can’t give in, not yet. I can’t just go for it with her ‘cause I don’t know her and I don’t know if these mini freak outs she has, the wall she has built up, her addiction to being in control, I don’t know what that means, and it’s rude and it’s selfish but I really don’t want to get involved with a girl that’s unstable or that isn’t really ready to be committed. I can’t have her dragging me down.

 

I can’t have some girl make me fall for her and then drag me down. I won’t let it happen again.

 

She starts kissing my chest and I can’t help myself. I pull her up against me and kiss her mouth hungrily. I want her. Fuck, I want her so bad.

 

She lets me have her, not there on the couch but we make it to the bedroom. And as she finishes taking off her clothes and lies down next to me on my bed I start to wonder who the real Courtney is. Is she really some angry bitch who doesn’t give a shit about anyone else? Is she really some broken little girl that doesn’t know what she’s doing? Or is she a mixture of them both?

 

Or maybe she’s who she is right now, laying beside me, kissing me, calm, relaxed, dare I say happy, maybe this is who she wants to be. Maybe she’s begging to be like this all the time.

 

And maybe she just can’t. Maybe she’s just too scared to go down that path and to let someone else take over.

 

I think that’s what I’m afraid of too and as she lets me get on top of her and as she lets me inside of her I know, I know I gotta be careful, too.

 

I gotta be damn careful or she’s going to take over me and I’m going to fall in love with her.

 

And I just can’t let that happen.
Chapter 21 by Mere

Justin’s kitchen, 9:01 p.m.

 

The phone rings fives times and she doesn’t pick up, and Court always fuckin’ answers her phone. The damn building could be on fire and she’d answer it. I stare at the fridge, realizing that my fuckin’ asshole of a boyfriend is so stupid and has nothing to eat in his damn house. I grab a Coke, even though Derrek told me I needed to drink more water, and then turn around to see if he has any dry food to eat in his pantry. I’m starving and I bet all he’ll have is a bag of rice and some canned chicken soup or something.

 

I turn and he’s right there, leaning against the counter, staring at me, chewing on two slices of bread. He licks his finger. He’s eating a damn peanut butter sandwich and staring at me with his dogs sniffing around his feet. He took off his blue sweater and is now left in his jeans and his button down shirt, which he’s unbuttoned to show his wife beater underneath.

 

I hear a beep and roll my eyes and speak into the phone, “Hey, it’s me. Sorry I was a bitch to you just now. Call me to let me know if you went home or something. I really didn’t mean to take that out on you. I’m just not in the best mood ‘cause of how pathetic my boyfriend is. Later.”

 

I turn off my phone and go over where the bread is out on the counter near him, as well as the jar of JIF with a knife sticking in it. I set my phone down and take out a piece of bread and start to slather it with peanut butter.

 

“Mere, come on…”

 

I look over my shoulder and he’s still chewing on his sandwich just staring at me. I shrug at him. “Come on, what?”

 

He’s pissed me off tonight. He didn’t hurt me, he didn’t upset me like he did in Miami. No, this time he fucking pissed me off. How dare he come into my dressing room right before I perform and accuse me and claim that I’m stupid! He didn’t say it, but his tone let me know it was what he was thinking. I haven’t seen him in a fucking week and the guy that I’m supposed to be in love with comes in not with a hug or a kiss or an ‘I missed you’ or a how are you or even a god damn smile.

 

No, instead he comes in with attitude and blame right before I was going to perform. He should have waited until afterward. Ya know, I’m fucking sorry the red carpet shit happened like it did, but damn. It’s like he always is saying, he’s been in this business forever. He knows how to handle it. He knows not to let shit get to him like that. And here he is freaking out.

 

What a fucking little asshole.

 

And my performance was on point tonight, perfect, until I fucking saw him in the audience. Of course MTV placed him in the damn front row. And I had just done this awesome little dance move with my girls on stage and people were cheering and getting into it. Normally, I have a really hard time spotting faces ‘cause I kind of get in this high and the lights are so bright on me and dark on the audience. But I saw him and I almost tripped.

 

No one saw, I know they didn’t. But Derrek noticed and asked me if I was ok afterwards. And I know little things are going to mess up in every performance. That’s just how it happens, but this time it really pissed me off. And I couldn’t even really enjoy my awesome job because I knew after it was over I’d have to see him again and I knew we were going to fight and argue some more. So I waited for him so we could go ahead and get it over with. I wanted to leave. I wanted to bolt out of there. And we did.

 

I didn’t expect what happened in the car.

 

When he opened his mouth and started bitching at Courtney, I almost slapped him myself. I probably should have, but I hate, hate, hate fighting in front of other people, so I kept my damn mouth shut until I couldn’t take it anymore. And I couldn’t get in touch with Angie all night, which was weird, but then I remembered that I think today is Eric’s birthday. She mentioned something like that earlier today. So she probably went out.

 

God, she’s going to have a hernia tomorrow after she finds out what happened tonight.

 

And the thing about it is, like I know Justin knows how he acted tonight was wrong, and I understand that the situation he was put in was very upsetting. But the reason he’s upset is because his pride was hurt, because he wasn’t in control, he didn’t know what was going on. It was because someone told him he was wrong. He knows he was in the wrong in the dressing room and in the limo and now he’s trying to act like it didn’t happen, like we should just be happy and eat our peanut butter sandwiches and play like good little kids.

 

But I’m not that easy.

 

I might have taken him back easily before, but this time I’m not going to just ignore the problem and hope everything becomes ok. ‘Cause if this is gonna work, if he wants to be with me, he can’t act like that, and he can’t blow up at the slightest little thing, especially in front of people and especially when it might get in the way of work.

 

It just sucks ya know, because we had such a damn great time in Tennessee. Like dammit, and then I found out we were going on tour together, I was ecstatic. Sure I had the thoughts that something bad could happen. But I love him and I have faith in us, and honestly I think it might be able to bring us closer together. And I’m sure it’ll make fans happy since we have a lot of the same fan base. And I have a lot of really good ideas for it, and, and it’s going to be stripped down and much more just about the vocals and the musical aspect of the songs.

 

Which is what I want. And, and we discussed all this on the phone when I was doing promotion in New York. He seemed so happy on the phone whenever I called him. And he would call and leave me messages and send me texts that would brighten my day. And now back in the real world, I get this stupid boyfriend who’s being a pain in the ass.

 

It’s not enough to make me wanna dump him, but he’s being such a…a, well a pathetic man right now and it’s annoying.

 

I bite my sandwich and pop open the Coke and as soon as I’ve taken a swallow I feel soft lips on my neck and arms around my middle. I need to get out of this damn dress, too. My boobs hurt in this thing Shanda put me in. I roll my eyes when he chuckles against my skin. “You seriously gonna be mad at me?”

 

I set down the can slowly and pull the sandwich from my mouth, swallowing. I move to push him away from me. I know he didn’t just say that.

 

“Oh no you’re forgiven,” I say sarcastically. “I’m gonna forgive you just like that because I can’t think for myself and all I care about is having sex with you and I have no feelings but ‘oh yes, more please’.”

 

I glare at him and his shoulders slump and he shuffles after me, following me to the dining room table. “I never said that.”

 

I sit down and he sits across from me. “Then understand that I’m pissed and you coming up and kissing my neck is not gonna make it all better.”

 

“Then what can I do?” He sucks in a breath and reaches over and grabs my Coke, taking a swallow of it. It pisses me off, but I let it slide because I don’t want to be petty and don’t want to bring little things into our argument. I chew on my sandwich wishing I had taken the time to put some jelly on it. I sigh and take a swig of the canned soda myself.

 

He’s staring at me and I shake my head. Sometimes I wonder if Justin really is stupid. I know he’s not, but sometimes he just acts, well it’s just ironic that he’s called me naïve before. I might be naïve but at least I have some damn sense. I know I can be emotional and I know I can be girly and ridiculous at times, but he needs to suck it up and be a man and stop giving me that pouty, pathetic-looking face.

 

“Nothing.” His eyes lower like I just told him I was going to the prom with someone else.

 

God, I thought I was dramatic. I roll my eyes and finish off my sandwich, mumbling as I chew, “Well, an apology might be a bit of a good start.”

 

He takes a deep breath and runs his forefinger along a line of the polished wood of his table. “You understand why I’m upset, right?”

 

His eyes glance up at mine for a second, just a flash of blue before they’re back following his finger. His hand makes a line towards my side of the table and reaches over and grabs mine for a minute. His eyes stare into my own. They’re the eyes that smiled at me when we had sex and the eyes that stared into mine when I was leaving to go to New York and said without speaking how much he loved me.

 

I have to force myself to look at the plant he has on his table. Dammit, I hate it when he looks at me like that. He knows, he knows that the more he looks at me with those eyes the more I’ll give in. And I can’t. Not this time. I have to be strong. I have to show him I’m not gonna take his bull shit.

 

I can feel Buck licking my feet and I do my best to gently kick him away. The last thing I need right now is to laugh because a dog is tickling my feet. I pull my hand from his. That was the first real physical contact we’ve had since he’s gotten back. Like yeah, we hugged in my dressing room, but he was so unaffectionate and distant. It was like he wasn’t even there. And when we came into his house a few minutes ago, I just came right in, set my shoes down, pet his dogs for a second and immediately came in here looking for food and trying to call Court. It’s kind of sad that a few hours ago I was fantasizing about this moment. About being alone with him for the first time in a week, of coming home with him and, and really being with him.

 

Naked.

 

He grins at me and licks his lips.

 

This sucks.

 

I shake my head at him. He needs to decide his feelings, decide his mood and stick with it. It’s not possible for someone to go from being bitchy and yelling in a car to trying to be all suave now. It makes me wonder how genuine he’s being tonight, if this is all an act or some weird test.

 

“You’re not acting upset right now, all smiling and trying to get near me. What happened to the guy with an attitude in my dressing room making me stressed out before my big performance? And what happened to the guy who was screaming at my assistant a few minutes ago?”

 

Now he’s got an attitude again, rolling his eyes and sitting back in his chair. “I was not screaming.”

 

Maybe he wasn’t screaming, but it wouldn’t matter. He was raising his voice and accusing her of all sorts of things that were just pathetic. I slide my chair back and laugh a little bit. The chair makes this horrid noise against the hardwood floor. I snatch up the can of Coke and march into the living room and sit on the couch. I really don’t want to have to deal with him right now.

 

I curl up on the couch after I put the can down on top of a coaster on his end table. I pull my legs up so they are bent at the knees and I look down at my toes. I need to get a pedicure. Ya know what really sucks about this situation? I wanna just forget it all and be sweet with him and hug him and kiss him and be with him because I fucking missed him. I wanna give into him. I wanna really be with him. Yeah, I wanna just forget this all happened and go and have passionate, intense sex with him.

 

But I can’t. This…this time I have to put my foot down.

 

Dammit! This sucks!

 

I feel a sigh and he plops down beside me and puts a hand on my knee and stares at me intently. I only look at him once and then go back to looking at my toes. “Look, I’m sorry about the dressing room, that…that was wrong of me. I was just so fucking confused Meredith. I had no idea what was going on and I felt out of control and…and I didn’t know if you were mad at me, if I had done something to make you wanna tell everyone that we weren’t together.”

 

“What would you have done to piss me off that bad?” I shake my head and look at him. He’s biting his lips, staring at the coffee table, trying to figure out his own thoughts. I think I might understand a little bit better now. Maybe, maybe he doesn’t know what happened, and he was so confused he couldn’t process his thoughts.

 

And frustrated Justin can easily slide into angry Justin.

 

“We’re together.”

 

He nods and holds in his breath. “I don’t know, I just get worried sometimes.” He lets out a deep sigh.

 

“Shit Justin…” He stares at me. It’s that same damn stare that he gave me in Miami when I took him back. It’s that lost stare, that, ‘please dear God don’t leave me’ stare. He’s fucking terrified. I don’t know if that makes me comforted to know that it really has nothing to do with me, or frightened because he’s still hung up on the past. “You need to get over your past shit. I’m not just gonna drop you, ok?” I touch his shoulder so he’ll believe me and he smiles.

 

“Good…”

 

I look back at my toes but then I notice him coming closer. I try to ignore him but his hand starts to touch my knee again and his arm goes across my bare shoulders. The dress is short and has no straps. He kisses my shoulder and I look at him and he tries to lean into me.

 

I want to. Dear God, I want to.

 

But I don’t. I use my hands to push at his chest. “Stop it…” I stand up and go over and sit on the edge of this plush chair he has near the couch. Distancing myself as much as possible to form an invisible barrier, to protect myself from giving in.

 

He shakes his head and sits there defeated. “Mere, I haven’t seen you in…”

 

I cut him off. He should know better. “Don’t even try to pull that bull shit on me.”

 

“Then what do you wanna do?” He sounds annoyed and sounds like he’s starting to get frustrated, and he’s bringing back that attitude I saw in the dressing room.

 

“Let’s actually talk about this.”

 

He sighs and leans his head back against the couch, staring at the ceiling. “Talk about what? What else is there to say? I’m sorry, I am.”

 

I move to sit in the chair with my back against one armrest and my legs dangling over the other. I cross my arms over my chest. “You need to apologize to Courtney, too.”

 

“Meredith…” The look he gives me is one I don’t know if I’ve ever seen from him. It’s a cold look. He lowers his voice and pushes himself up to the edge of the couch, straightening the Motor Trend and Car & Driver magazines he has there on his table. “Don’t.”

 

But he doesn’t threaten me. “Don’t what, Justin? Your hatred for her is so unmerited. She’s done nothing to you.”

 

“Look, I know this sounds horrible but…” He puts his hands on his head as if in an attempt to grab at his hair, but he has no hair to grab at. “But she just gives me the creeps. She’s always fucking looking at me or at us when we’re together, and, and I just don’t want something else bad happening to you.”

 

Ok, I guess that’s kind of sweet, but it doesn’t mean he can bitch at me or my assistant. I understand being cautious, but good lord Justin! “Let me worry about that, ok? Angie wouldn’t hire someone she didn’t trust. Leah was mostly my choice. It was my mistake, I trusted her way too soon. Angie wouldn’t hire someone that was bad.”

 

He shakes his head and his voice is still low, but has a softer tone. “Leah was with you almost three years Meredith. You never thought she would turn out like she did. Do you remember how upset you were? Dammit girl you fuckin’…” He sighs and looks at me. Damn those blue eyes. “Do you remember when we first met? Do you remember that first night in the studio when you started hyperventilating and I had to calm you down?”

 

I gulp and look away. Of course I remember that. I remember all we were doing was working on some beats he had come up with. Trace had gone to get us food and the other producers and techs had gone home for the night because we really just wanted to get to know each other and figure out a direction to go towards. We were working on this song that I had the idea for called “Stand Alone” and just the words and the melody we had come up with hit me hard. The final cut is a lot different from that initial idea, but I really did feel like I was standing alone in that moment. And I, I remember I started crying. And I remember being so mortified and so embarrassed because I just started crying right in front of this guy I had only known for a few hours. But I was so stressed out after everything had happened and I was sure my career was ruined.

 

And I couldn’t stop crying.

 

I remember wiping my eyes and apologizing and being afraid to look at him because I was so humiliated.

 

He didn’t say anything to me.

 

But he hugged me. Not just one of those fake, little, sorry half-hugs. No. He pulled me into him and leaned back against the couch there and held me and whispered for me to just let it all out. We were pretty much strangers at that point. Yet, I felt something right then and at the time I didn’t know what it was. But now I know that what I felt was safety. I felt at ease and I felt at home.

 

He was bringing me home right then before I even knew what he was doing. I wonder if he knew.

 

I wonder if he felt it, too.

 

He shouldn’t have brought that up because now I want nothing more than to run to him and hold him. Bastard.

 

I suck in a breath and push back those memories, those memories that make me weak for him. “I haven’t forgotten what happened Justin, but I decide not to dwell on it and not to let it hold me back. And Courtney is innocent in all this. It’s not fair that you treat her this way. And ok, so what if you hate her? But what are you gonna do when her and Trace start dating?”

 

He rolls his eyes. “Can we be serious? Don’t joke like that.”

 

I stare right at him. He’s in denial. “Who says I’m joking, Justin? I bet you anything she’s over at his house right now.”

 

“It’s nothing.” He shrugs. “If they’re fucking, that’s all it is to him. He doesn’t like girls like her.”

 

I laugh. He’s ridiculous. He knows as well as I do its not just fucking, and he knows as well as I do that they like each other, even if they themselves can’t see it. And he has no right to even think he has a reason to have an opinion in the matter. We’re all adults. We all can do whatever we want. At least, I use to think we were all adults. He’s making me seriously rethink that. “You’re such a little shit.”

 

“It’s my opinion, Meredith.”

 

“Could you just be civil to her and not blame every damn thing on her? She was doing what she was told and maybe if your manager had been a little clearer to my manager this wouldn’t be such a big problem.”

 

“Whoa…” He puts his hands up and passes me a look. “Don’t pull them into this.”

 

“Ok, I just…tonight sucks Justin and it sucks because of you.” His mouth drops a little bit and he rolls his eyes and sighs. What a dumbass! He’s not making this easier for himself. “Ya know, I was hoping that when you opened that door and I saw you for the first time in a week, you’d be happy and you’d kiss me and hug me and be happy to see me, but you weren’t. And I thought we’d be able to get drunk together tonight and have sloppy sex and…” I glare at him. “Stop smiling. I was excited to go on tour with you and to share this part of my life with you, this really stressful, important part of my life with you. But now, now you got me wondering.”

 

“Wondering…”

 

I shrug and look down at my finger nails, starting to pick at the paint and then I sit on my hands so that Shanda doesn’t get pissed at me. “Are you gonna be like this every time something happens or something messes up? What if something happens right before we’re supposed to take the stage this summer? I can’t have you acting like that. I can’t have your ego getting in the way.”

 

He rubs his forehead and looks at me, about to open his mouth and speak, but I don’t let him. “And don’t say you don’t have one ‘cause you do, Justin. You know damn well if the roles were reversed and I was the one coming into your dressing room with an attitude you would have made me sit down and you would have lectured me and told me to get out and then you’d be calling me an emotional, naive little girl.” He bites his lip and looks the other way. “You would, so don’t deny it.”

 

His hands slap against his couch and he looks at me with fire in his eyes. “Dammit Meredith! I’m not good at this, ok? Last time I had a public relationship it blew up in my face, and I’ve tried to keep every other relationship since then under wraps. I haven’t talked about my love life and now, now I am! And the first fucking time I’m supposed to say anything I hear that I’m wrong, that we aren’t together! So yeah, that really bruised and hurt my ego. It scared me. I’m sorry I overreacted, but I’m not perfect.”

 

“God Justin, you always say that. I know you aren’t. I damn well know you aren’t. I’m not one of your fans. I don’t scream at you because I think you are God. I love you because of who you are, flaws and all. So stop using that as an excuse ‘cause it doesn’t help anything. I don’t expect you to be perfect, but I do expect you to have some damn sense.” He shakes his head again and looks down at the table.

 

It’s quiet for a minute or so and finally I push myself off the couch, pet Brennan’s head and sigh. Justin looks up at me and swallows hard. “Just take me home…”

 

His muscles in his forehead unclench and his eyes widen just slightly and his jaw slackens, “What?”

 

“Take me home. I don’t wanna be here tonight.” I walk over to where my shoes are on the coffee table near my purse and I grab both of them up along with the Coke can.

 

“Mere, stay tonight…”

 

I just stare at him. “Either you take me home or I can call up Teddy.”

 

“Ok…” He pushes himself up and nods, saying softly, “Ok. Just give me a minute.”

 

I walk to his kitchen and throw away the Coke can and grab my phone from the counter, checking it first and slipping it into my purse. I can hear Justin calling for his dogs and realize he must be letting them go outside to their kennel for the night. I take the time to retie Justin’s bread and screw the top back on the peanut butter and wash off the knife. When I finally finish I pull out my phone again and leave Megs a message to give me a buzz. She’s coming out here in a few days and I can’t wait. I think I’m in need of some of her company. I turn around after slipping the phone back into my purse and Justin’s bent over putting this big bag of dog food back into his pantry.

 

He closes the door and looks at me. He’s rolled his sleeves down but has kept his shirt undone. I follow him to his garage, walking barefoot as he locks up his house and beeps his Porsche unlocked. That kind of pisses me off, because this is his sexy car and he knows it. I told him in New York when we were on the phone that the idea of him in a Porsche got my panties all twisted.

 

Asshole.

 

But I ignore him. I ignore how the dark light outside hits his face in the car and how sexy his jaw line is when his muscles clench and how his hands grip the gear shift and the leather steering wheel, letting it slide against his large hands is like he’s performing some sexual act. Yeah, I ignore all that.

 

Yeah…

 

Dammit.

 

I suck in a breath and continue fumbling with the straps to my high heels that are in my lap, concentrating on them, concentrating on the argument we just had. “So if you wanna give me attitude or if we are fighting or anything confrontational comes up, I don’t care what it is Justin, if it’s less than an hour before I’m taking the stage we’re not talking about it until afterward, ok? You might be able to go onstage after being yelled at, but I can’t. I need to have a clear head to perform.”

 

He nods and glances at me quickly, a small grin on his face. “You did great tonight, though.”

 

“Thanks…”

 

“Really…” He reaches over to touch my thigh but his hand snaps back quickly. Dammit. I mean, I guess it’s good that he realizes he shouldn’t have it there, but it felt nice. Shit. Meredith get your head together! You’re supposed to be strong. “You killed it. I was proud.”

 

“I thought you were too mad at me to be proud.”

 

“Meredith I wasn’t, I really wasn’t ever mad at you. It was just the situation.”

 

I stare outside, not focusing on anything, just staring. It make my eyes dry out. “And you took it out on me…no more of that either, ok?”

 

“I’m sorry about that, I really, really am. I really hope you know how sorry I am, Mere. I blew up tonight, lost my head.”

 

I nod, not looking at him. “And you’re gonna apologize to Courtney.”

 

“I’ll send her some damn flowers even.”

 

It makes me grin. “Thanks. And prepare yourself because even though she hasn’t really said it, I think her and Trace are dating. My battery died on my phone one night so I picked up hers to use it to call my mom and accidentally got into her call log ‘cause I didn’t know how to use her thing ‘cause it’s all complicated…” He starts to laugh at me. “I can’t help it, I’m not good at all that technical stuff.”

 

He nods and turns from the main roads towards my neighborhood. “Something we have in common.”

 

“Anyway, so like I got into her call log and it was all Trace with one Angie.”

 

Justin’s eyes widen. “She’s calling him that much?”

 

“These were calls her phone had received, Justin.”

 

“Oh…”

 

I bite my lip and try not to laugh at him. He really is clueless and in denial. Trace is all about Courtney and he just doesn’t want to admit it. I don’t see why it would be a bad idea. I think it would be cute. Hell, wasn’t he the one in New York that wanted to push Trace onto Courtney to get her off my back? Well it worked, he should be happy.

 

What a nerd.

 

We pass the gate to my community and Justin drives slowly down the paved roads, even though I know he wants to rev the engine. A few weeks ago he showed me his cars and was so excited about them even though most of the stuff he said I had no idea about. He still hasn’t taken me on that motorcycle ride yet.

 

“The press is gonna suck Justin, you know that. So stop freaking out over it, ok?”

 

“It’s not really the stories or anything, it’s just that today wasn’t a tabloid story. It wasn’t a fake thing about us breaking up or getting married or whatever. I mean, for a while there on the carpet I really thought that maybe you had dumped me and…and I just, I can’t let that happen.”

 

We pull up to my place and Justin turns into my driveway. “I understand that, but you need to calm down and stop stressing out about us.”

 

“Ok…” He nods and puts the car in park. He sighs and looks at me, nibbling on his bottom lip as I undo my seatbelt. “Well, I guess I’ll call you tomorrow.”

 

I pass him a funny look. He looks so depressed right now. “Ok?”

 

“Sleep well alright?”

 

I open my door but look back at him, staring hard. “You’re not coming in?”

 

His eyes widen in surprise and I laugh at him. “I’m allowed?”

 

“You’re weird.”

 

I get out and slam the door to his car, laughing a little bit. He’s an asshole and he lets things get to him too much and he has a bit of an ego problem, but dammit if he isn’t the cutest thing. I hear the car shut off and hear a door open and footsteps follow me.

 

I ignore him as I walk into the foyer of my house and set down my purse and my shoes and pad over into the kitchen and see that I have a message on my phone. I press play and listen to my dad tell me some joke that really isn’t all that funny, but it makes me giggle anyway. He tells me to give them a call soon.

 

When the message ends I realize how close he’s come up to me. I’ve been leaning against the counter, facing the machine, and now he’s come up behind me and is trying to trap me in between his body and the counter. I turn and face him. He has a cocky grin on his face and I glare.

 

“We’re not fucking tonight.”

 

He licks his lips and pulls away, staring at me. “We don’t fuck any night. ‘Cause what we do isn’t fucking, Meredith….”

 

Ok, so that…yeah, that was a good answer.

 

But I can’t let him have any idea how much he’s starting to wiggle his way into my good graces. I shouldn’t have let him come in. I should have made him go home. Dammit, I really am weak.

 

“That was a decent answer.”

 

He shrugs and pulls away to stand in the middle of my kitchen, looking rather helpless and confused. “I’m learning.”

 

“You want anything…” I laugh at him. He’s just standing there staring at me. “Since you have no food at your place.”

 

“I’m not all that hungry.”

 

“Drink?”

 

He takes in a deep breath and nods, and then looks at me directly and says, “I’ll get some water. Why don’t you change or whatever and then we’ll just watch TV or you can beat me up or call me every bad name in the book, whatever will make you happy and feel better and get you smiling at me again.”

 

I try to hold it back but I can’t help it and a little smile comes through. Even when I’m pissed at him, he knows what to do to make me smile. He’s evil. I roll my eyes and start to walk out of the kitchen. “We’ll watch food network in bed.”

 

He winks at me, his smile full and bright, shining and happy. “That’s my girl.”

 

I walk through my house, pass the dining room and the living room, trying not to remember the times we’ve made out on my couch, trying not to think about how we haven’t really been here at my house by ourselves in weeks and how so much has changed in that short amount of time. I make my way to my bedroom and immediately reach for the side zipper of my dress, pushing it down and sighing as the red, silk material falls off me at my feet. I practically rip off the corset bra thing and strip out of my thong as well, sighing as I’m no longer being pushed and constrained and forced. I hope Justin doesn’t come back here ‘cause I’m stark naked and I know he’ll take that as an invitation and then Lord knows how well I’ll be able to keep up my restraint.

 

Thankfully I’m able to slip on some more comfortable underwear, a pair of gym shorts and a tank top before he comes back. I don’t know how long it takes to get water but he takes long enough that I’m able to pull my hair back and start to wash my face.

 

“Mere?” I wipe my face off with a towel and look up to see him peering in the bathroom. He smiles at me again and I see his shoes are off, and his bare toes are wiggling out from under the ends of his slacks. “There you are…”

 

“Thanks…” He hands me a glass of water and I take it from him and take a couple sips before handing it back to him. I watch him gulp it down quickly and then hang up my towel and brush past him back into the bedroom. “I have some boxers here somewhere if you want them. They’ll probably fit you and your string bean figure,” I say, crawling up on my bed, pulling off the extra pillows and pushing the covers down to the foot of the bed so I’m only covered by the sheet.

 

“It’s ok,” He grins and winks at me again. “I’ll just wear the panties I have on.”

 

I laugh at him and pretend to worry with the remote, getting the TV on and food network working, but really my mind is on the other side of the bed, where he’s taking off his shirt and his pants, folding them neatly into a pile on the chair beside my dresser, leaving himself in these perfectly tight white boxer briefs and a white tank. Why’s he so good looking? I bet if my boyfriend was ugly it’d be much easier to remain pissed off at him.

 

I guess that’s a really shallow thing to say.

 

He settles in beside me on my bed but makes sure not to get too close. It’s weird that we already have sides we like to lay on. Like I’m always laying to the left of him, and I’ve tried laying on the other side, but it just doesn’t work as well. Rachael Ray’s 40$ a Day show is on and whenever I glance at Justin he’s just lazily laying there, staring at the TV with not much interest on his face. I push myself up a bit and move my arm and then my hand over my breasts, whining. Damn the shit Shanda puts me in. She’ll probably bitch at me for wrinkling that dress and not hanging it up. Oh well. It was a hot little dress and I love it, but if I have to wear that underwear with it, it can just remain on the floor.

 

“My boobs hurt…”

 

He laughs and stretches under the sheet, his foot hits mine. “I’d offer a massage, but I’m afraid I might be castrated tonight.”

 

“No, it’s just the bra thing that Shanda put me in.”

 

He doesn’t say anything else, but he does scoot a little closer. He doesn’t touch me, but I can feel the warmth of his body and I move a little on my side so that I’m not facing him. I stare as Rachael Ray squeals over dollar ice cream cones in Aspen or something. But then I close my eyes ‘cause I feel his hand timidly rest against my waist and then curl up over my arm and cover my hand, pulling himself up so that he’s spooning me, his front pulled flush against my back.

 

It feels so good. This…this is what I’ve been aching for the past week and I finally get it. And I should push him away and tell him not to touch me and make him sleep in the guest room or on the couch or the floor, but I don’t. Instead, I close my eyes and sigh, feeling his nose and his lips rub against my neck and then hear him say, full of emotion, full of honesty, “I missed you this week, Meredith.”

 

I move a little and turn on my back so that I’m looking up at him. He searches my eyes and chews on his lip. “I really did. And I’m not saying that to crawl myself out of the doghouse…”

 

I sigh and look away from him. “You’re not in the doghouse, Justin.” I touch the muscle of his arm that’s flexed because of how he’s holding himself propped up beside me. “I don’t expect us never to fight or never to argue, but I really think if we can grow from it and not let it take over everything about us, then we’re good. I’m still a little pissed, but I’m not…I don’t love you any less.”

 

He looks pathetic, and his eyes are seeking for approval when he whispers softly to me, “Promise?”

 

I roll my eyes, laugh at him and pull him down against me. Yeah, go ahead and call me weak, call me easy, but I love him and I missed him and it’s not right for me to keep us apart. “Oh my God, you nerd…come here.”

 

I hold him tightly and I can hear and feel him sigh and smile against my shoulder and kiss me there. His body relaxes against mine. He suddenly pulls me up against him and leans on his back and gets me so I’m half lying against him, my head against his shoulder. I look up at him and he touches my face. “I need you, Mere. That’s why I flipped out. I needed you and I thought you had been taken away. This…this means too much to me for it to just quit. You mean more to me than just a month or two of a lot of fun. This is deep girl.” He leans his cheek against my head and runs his hand along my arm, getting to my hand and running his fingers in between and through mine. “It’s like…I can see myself with you, like for a while…a long while. Like I can imagine us ya know, far from now, doing this, watching food network and going to sleep, and…and being old and I don’t know.”

 

Do not cry.

 

Dammit, Meredith. Do not cry.

 

I suck in a breath. I hate him. I really do. He always knows exactly what to say and I don’t know if that’s a good thing. He should just be an asshole and fuck up all the time and not be able to redeem himself. But he always knows how to, it might take him a while and he might stumble on the way, but he always ends up like this, with me holding onto him, realizing how much I need him and love him.

 

I look up at him and smile. I’m easy and I’m weak and I do not give a damn. “Ok, you can kiss me, ‘cause that was really sweet…..” He smiles back at me and leans in, but before he can kiss me a thought crosses my mind and I bring my hand up to cover his mouth. I might be weak and easy, but I’m not stupid and I’m still gonna put my foot down.

 

I don’t want him to assume that he can act like this and nothing will happen and that all will get back to normal. I have to do this, even if I don’t like it. His eyes are wide and I look at him sternly, “But….we’re not having sex tonight.”

 

I pull my hand away and there’s a bright smile underneath. “What about tomorrow morning?”

 

I laugh. What a little fucker. And he knows it. “Nope.”

 

He tickles my side a little and I kick my legs against his. “So I’m a little bit in the dog house, huh?”

 

I glare at him. “Maybe a little bit.” He laughs and kisses me.

 

And it’s not hard and it’s not really all that deep, but it’s the first kiss I’ve had from him in a week and it makes me melt. I’m like putty or Jell-O and I pull back from him and snuggle into his chest, staring at Rachael Ray but really paying no mind to her. I’m concentrating more on how much I love the sound of his heart beat under my ear and the feel of his hand against my back and my arm and the slight pressure of his lips against the top of my head.

 

“I love you though, no matter where you put me,” he says and I squeeze him tight.

 

I guess that’s the thing. I guess that’s what makes it ok for me to lay here with him and hold him. No matter what happens, no matter that he might have an attitude problem or a bit of an ego, no matter if he over reacted tonight and was irrational. No matter if we had a big fight. He still loves me and I know that. Deep down I know that.

 

And I love him and nothing’s going to change that. And, and maybe the fact that we have fought tonight and we are here now holding each other and relaxing, maybe that’s not being easy and maybe that’s not being weak. Maybe that’s just faith.

 

And while I’m still going to call him out when this stuff happens and while I’m not going to just let him overreact and bring me down, I’m also not going to let petty arguments and fights ruin what we have. Because what we have is much more important to me.

 

“I know you do.” I turn and kiss the center of his chest and hold myself against him, breathing in his smell of fresh cologne and a hint of Tide.


I fit next to him. And this might be cheesy or ridiculous, but it makes me think of something my momma told me when I was about eleven. I was convinced I was going to marry Jonathan Taylor Thomas and so I asked my momma how she knew daddy was the one for her. She had laughed, handing me another dish to dry and said that it was because of how she felt next to him, how she fit next to him. I asked her why that mattered, why that was so important, and she told me that when God had made Eve he had made her out of Adam’s rib, out of his side, so that now, when a woman felt perfect next to a man then it was meant for them to be together. I barely understood her at the time. In fact, I think I thought her a little nuts after that.

 

But now…now I get it.

 

I fit with Justin. I fit so well next to him and it feels so good and warm and comforting to lie beside him. This, this is my home, this is where I’m meant to be. Maybe that’s what he meant when he said he can imagine us like this, laying here watching TV and being old. Maybe he knows it, too.

 

I move to look up at him. His eyes are closed but he smiles at me and turns to press his lips against my hair and keep them there.

 

Yeah. I think he knows it, too.
Chapter 22 by Mere

12:39 Sunset Studios

 

I really hate traffic. I thought I’d be use to it by now, living in LA and New York, but I’m not. The stopping and going and how it always seems that whenever you’re stuck there’s nothing good on the radio, just commercials and crappy love songs. Normally it’s always one person with car trouble who pulled over and so everyone’s gotta slow down and look and be in everyone else’s damn business. I hate it when people are in everyone else’s business. I guess I’m complaining for no reason, but I’m frustrated because I only had three hours of sleep last night. I don’t mind not getting a lot of sleep but three hours doesn’t cut it. I’m tired, sleepy and physically worn out.

 

I grin at the thought. I’m pathetic.

 

I had to leave to go pick Megan up from the airport and I was glad she didn’t seem to mind that I was almost thirty minutes late. In fact, she ran to me and gave me a hug I really wasn’t expecting, claimed it was great to see me and asked me how Trace and I were doing.

 

I smiled, told her I had no idea what she was talking about and she just laughed in my face. Thanks, Meredith. Thanks for spreading rumors. I really fucking appreciate that.

 

Well, I guess they aren’t really rumors. I mean, we aren’t together. We aren’t a couple, we’re just…friends. Oh dear God, we’re friends with benefits and I promised myself I would never do that, especially, especially when I actually, sort of kind of like the guy and wouldn’t mind being more than just friends…with benefits.

 

Meredith thinks she knows what’s going on. I haven’t said a word to her, I’ve just told her we’re friends and hang out a lot because it’s convenient, but nothing more. She laughs at me, just like Megan did earlier, though sometimes I think she gets a little upset I won’t open up with her more. Everything she’s told Megan or Justin, oh God don’t get me started, is entirely made up in her own imagination. She doesn’t know that we…we’ve had sex, or that we went out to the movies Friday, or that he came over last night at one in the morning. Justin doesn’t know it either. Meredith says that Justin is in denial that we have any attraction for each other, which is fine by me. The more he’s out of my business the better. But I guess it kind of hurts my feelings that Trace won’t tell his best friend about me, not that I’d ever want a man to brag about sleeping with me.

 

Ever since the MTV awards we haven’t really talked. I don’t really have anything to say to him. He was being ridiculous and I hope he knows it, I hope Meredith made him see that. She tells me she did, but I don’t know how effective she was. I got a voice mail from him the next day apologizing but it was forced, and I didn’t mind the fact that one of the biggest bouquets of my life ended up at my door later that afternoon. It was like one of those bouquets you see at funerals, though. That didn’t really make me feel too hot.

 

But he’s stayed out of my way and I’ve stayed out of his and therefore he’s been off my back, and…well, onto Meredith’s. This touring thing is annoying, they are annoying, and I’m so damn happy that Trace is around to keep me grounded and balanced and smiling.

 

It’s not that I don’t like Meredith. I do. She’s fun. I just…I’d prefer not to be around when she and Justin decide to make out in front of me, or fight in front of me for that matter. They really are petty at times, like fighting because he ate the last piece of pizza before asking her if she wanted it, and they are both divas. Meredith is nice and genuine and I do have a good time with her and consider her a friend, but she can get in diva mode. It’s not as bad as Justin’s diva mode, but it’s annoying none the less.

 

I guess when you release your second album and it’s projected to go gold in its first week and your tour with your iconic pop star boyfriend is completely sold out then you can act like a diva.

 

“Man, this is top secret!” Megan says, looking around the parking lot at the security vehicles and the inconspicuousness of the place. “Like that popcorn, Pop Secret.”

 

I laugh as we approach the entrance to the studio. It’s a dance studio that they’ve converted to be able to house both Justin’s and Meredith’s bands. They mark off the stage area with bright yellow tape on the floor. Seems silly to me, but I guess it works for them. The past two days of practice I’ve just sat on the floor or in a chair and been bored, or gone and ate too much fruit and crackers in the little room outside of the studio until Trace comes and we talk or we go somewhere or do…something. I don’t know, the past week, ever since that blow out with Justin and I, we’ve…we’ve been together a lot. I guess I know a lot more about him now. He’s so funny and he’s a good guy. He really is a good, genuine guy. He can be an idiot sometimes and an asshole, but he really is smart and really knows what he’s doing. And he’s got some hilarious stories.

 

Before we reach the door, I hand her this sticker thing that’s supposed to be a pass. It looks like a neon sticker someone took a sharpie to and scribbled on, but they’re printed. “Yeah, here’s your badge thing. You have to be wearing it. I can’t just show it to the guy, it has to be on your body. Justin and Meredith said they wanted this to be super secure so no secrets get out about the tour, so now we have to pay the price. The guy at the door is an asshole too, so we might have to deal with his crap.” He really is an ass. This morning I came in with Meredith, of course he smiled and said hello to her, but I happened to leave something in my car and went out to get it and he gave me hell trying to get back inside because I didn’t have the badge on. He saw me walk in with her the first time and even though my name was on the list, I didn’t have a badge and he claimed there was no way in hell he could let me in. It’s annoying and he isn’t one of Meredith or Justin’s teams, but works for the studio, so he tries to act all tough and shit. Thank God Tiny came and opened the door and said that I was “cool.”

 

I open the door to the building that looks really industrial and very unsuspecting that two of the hottest people in music are in there right now, performing their hearts out. We start down this long hallway; it reminds me of some dungeon, or a wine cellar. I wish it was a wine cellar, of course it’d be rather chilly. And Trace would probably try to get me alone and drunk, like he’s always trying to do that. I start to smile. He always offers me a beer, always. It’s always the first thing he does when we get alone. I asked him about it one night and he said I was more...interesting when I was drunk.

 

I hit him in the shoulder, but it made me laugh. He’s always making me laugh. I smile a bit more.

 

“Is Trace gonna be here?”

 

It fades and I glare at Meredith’s friend who’s passing me a sly smile. I don’t know this girl, and while I get that she’s best friends with Meredith, it doesn’t give her the right to get into my business. “Get off it Megan. We’re just friends.”

 

“Right…” She puts her hands up and laughs a little bit, “I was just asking because I miss the mutant.”

 

Hmm, I didn’t know she called him by that ridiculous nickname as well. “So you call him that too, huh?”

 

She laughs and shrugs. “Well he calls me Lessy 2 and Mere Lessy 1.”

 

He never told me he hung out with Megan, just in New York and then one time in LA when he first met Meredith. What the hell? I don’t know why I’m surprised. I’m sure he talks to lots of other girls. Probably fucks them too since there is no commitment in our relationship, or whatever the hell we are. “When have you hung out with him besides New York?”

 

“Um, I haven’t.” I can see that guard standing down at the end of the doors. I hope he doesn’t give us a hard time. “But I talk to him online sometimes and he’ll send me these weirdo emails with funny things in them.”

 

He doesn’t send me emails. I should shoot myself.

 

“Does he now?”

 

Megan pulls out in front of me and puts her hands on my shoulders, a big on her face. “Ohh snap! You’re so fucking him, aren’t you?”

 

“What!” I pull away from where her hands are on my arms and try not to let all the blood rush to my face. What the hell, how can she figure that out so easily? Am I that obvious? I glare at her and push past her to get away and go to the security guard. God, that’s sad when he becomes a refuge. I don’t know why I’m running away from Megan right now. I can hear her sing behind me. “You’re getting jealous as hell of me right now and blushing. You so like him!”

 

It’s true. I am. I do. God, am I that pathetic already?

 

“Passes and names…” I smile at him smugly. After we tell him our names and show him our passes, I have mine on my chest and she has hers on her jeans, he gives me this evil eye and opens the door so we can proceed into a room where there’s a few couches and food set up and people around. There’s a couple doors off of this room. Two of them lead to private rooms for Justin and Meredith, another leads to a hallway where there are bathrooms and I think an exit. There’s also a set of double doors which lead to the studio. It really is like a maze getting back here. Trace and I got lost two days ago, the first day. It was embarrassing. He had to call Tiny to have him route us back the right way. We were down some hallway on another floor where there were old women doing ballet. Of course when we found our way back Meredith smiled at me all coy and said, “Where were you two?”

 

I really hate her sometimes.

 

There are a couple people sitting around in here, some of Meredith’s band members and Monique and Abbie, Meredith’s dancers. I can hear one of Justin’s songs blaring through those double doors. I guess they finally finished Mere’s set. But she’s not out here so I assume she’s watching her boyfriend perform or asleep, but I doubt that. She had a double espresso this morning and was bouncing, really bouncing in her seat on the drive here. Trace isn’t out here either. I look around and wonder where the hell he’s at. When I left he was napping on the couch in Justin’s room. Maybe I should go see if he’s there.

 

“So…you and Trace aren’t together?”

 

I snap out of my daze and shake my head. “No…”

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

I sigh and walk over to the food counter and grab a bottle of water. I get enough questions from Meredith and enough debating in my own head to have someone I barely know throw in their two cents. I really don’t have the patience for this right now. God, where the hell would he be at? I don’t wanna call and look pathetic. “Megan, I really don’t…”

 

“It’s not about that…” She pops a grape in her mouth and chews. “I just…Mere can put on blinders, well she already has put on blinders when it comes to her boyfriend. She’s gone overboard with him and I just want an objective opinion. Does he treat her well? Ever since that damn Miami fiasco I’ve been worried.”

 

I look to make sure no one else is listening in. The last thing we need is some tabloid story from someone who overhears the wrong thing. I take her and sit her down in some chairs against the wall. She has every right to be worried and I wanna tell her what I really think, that Justin’s a pathetic, immature asshole and Mere’s way too good for him. But I don’t. I don’t wanna make him hate me even more, or Meredith for that matter. God, I don’t even know why I care. “I understand. I mean, it’s not really my place to say. I won’t lie, Justin and I don’t get along, but I guess I really have no reason to say that he doesn’t treat her well. She seems insanely happy and he seems the same with her. They like to be alone a lot and they like to be together. He can be a bit of an ass, but what guy can’t?”

 

She sighs and gets a weird smile on her face. “Joshie…”

 

“Ohh, right…” Talk about blinders. “How’s he doing?”

 

She laughs, “Fine as hell.”

 

“That’s good…” Thankfully my phone rings. The last thing I want is another gushing girl telling me how sexy their boyfriend is. I look at the caller id, smile and pull the phone close to my ear, “Hey.”

 

“Ya know, there’s a lot of space behind these drums.”

 

I laugh at his raspy voice. The music has stopped in the studio and I assume he’s in there because I can hear people talking loudly through his phone. “Shut up. There is not.”

 

“Come find out.” His voice lowers and I shift a little in my seat. Damn, I shouldn’t let him get to me this much, but he’s…he’s quite sexy and is really good at knowing what to do to turn me on. And his voice, deep and that drawl that comes out is so damn hot.

 

“I’ve got Megan here…”

 

“She can watch. Shit girl, I keep thinking about last night and how good you felt and…and tasted.”

 

I blink and glance to my side. Megan is looking at her phone not paying attention to me. I hear him laugh and I say, “Hush…” before flipping the phone closed. I grab my bag and nudge her. “Come on, I think they’re taking a break.”

 

A bright smile comes on her face and I walk to the door and open it. I immediately look towards the drums and sure enough, there’s Trace talking with Justin’s drummer, laughing about something.

 

“MEGS!” I turn my focus off of him and look to where Meredith, Justin and both Derrek and Marty are in the performing part of the taped off stage area. Justin and Marty glance at us before looking back at the couple beside them. Derrek has Meredith twisted into some dip formation. She says practically upside down, “I’ll be done in a second!”

 

Megan immediately plops on the floor beside the long wall length mirror, smiling. I don’t look up but I can feel his eyes burning into me. The whole room seemed to shut up and pay attention to us when Meredith yelled. I sit beside Megan, trying to look as casual as possible. I glance up, just one look to see if he’s noticed us.

 

He’s staring right at us and walking over. He gets in front of us, turns around and wiggles his butt in between us, immediately pulling Megan into a hug and saying something to her about being a “Lessy”. She laughs and even though I know she’s got a boyfriend and he’s probably not interested in her, I hate every moment that his arm is around her. God, Courtney! He’s not even your boyfriend! You have no right to be upset or jealous!

 

He turns to me to say something but the music starts up again, blaring. It’s just a backtrack this time and Marty and Derrek are off to the side watching Meredith and Justin. For the tour they are starting off with her hits, then doing the songs they did together and then doing Justin’s set. But during one of his songs she comes out and does this dance number with him. They’ve been practicing it like crazy, and they do more of the dance right now for all of us to see. It’s amazing how different they are. When they aren’t at work, both of them are like horny teenagers. You can barely say a sentence around them worth anything. But at work, they are both professional. This dance they do is like a fucking sex romp on stage, yet they make it seem professional. It’s hot yes, but I don’t feel like I’m watching some couple grind in a club.

 

It’s hard to explain. I guess I just wish I had the ability to look that professional at work with Trace. I have a hard time not blushing, and every time I see him I want him to touch me or something, and I shouldn’t.

 

I should know better than this. I should handle myself better. But it’s so damn hard when, when I like him as much as I do.

 

I lean over during the middle of the performance and whisper in his ear, “I gotta ride with Meredith tonight, so I can’t ride with you.”

 

He turns and looks at me deeply, “Really?”

 

“Yeah…Meredith wanted me to ask if you guys could take Megan.”

 

“No prob.” He shrugs and turns back to the mini performance. “As long as you save a dance with me at the party.”

 

I smile and nudge him. “You don’t dance.”

 

He leans in and I can feel his lips pressed against my ear. Shit, he’s dangerous. “By dance I mean making out with me in a dark corner.”

 

“But it’s work.”

 

“Tonight’s a night for Meredith to mingle with people and take pictures with celebrities. She’ll be so busy talking to other people and getting drunk that she won’t even know you exist.”

 

I stare into his eyes, hard. Shit, I can’t just wander off with him, especially if she’s gonna be drunk. That’s the last thing we need right now. “She’s not supposed to get drunk.”

 

“Justin will watch her.” He shrugs. Yeah right, Justin will probably get her drunk and take her somewhere to have sex with her. I wish she had a little more of a backbone with him. “Are you coming to his house afterwards?”

 

He passes me a sly smile. I know what he means. He’s asking if I’m gonna stay with him tonight. “Am I invited?”

 

“You’re invited by me.”

 

I don’t realize the music has stopped but I hear sneakers squeaking towards me and then hear someone squeal, “Slutty!”

 

I look over and Meredith has yanked up Megan and pulled her into a tight hug. Everyone else is laughing at them. I wish I had a friend like that. Of course I’d never be that sentimental or girly, but you can tell they are the closest of friends. I…I wish I had that. Being independent is great, but not having a friend is, is kind of a depressing state.

 

“Thanks for the present, sweat face,” Megan says to her.

 

“You like?” Meredith got her a first class plane ticket to LA and back for a graduation present. It’s apparently some inside joke.

 

“Ooo, leather seats and my own private TV screen, it was awesome, spacious and sexy baby!”

 

They both fall into giggles. “You got another present, but I’ll give it to you later, ok?” Meredith pulls Megan into another tight hug. “Oh my god, I’m so proud of you. You gradumawated!”

 

“I know. I’m freaking fantastic!”

 

“Come on, lemme introduce you to some people, ok? Then we’ll go sit and talk.” I look over at Trace, I love how we are both sitting here, all up in their conversation, looking up at them, looking between them. Meredith turns to Justin, “Hey, are we done with that thing…”

 

He laughs, “Thanks dear, glad you consider dancing with me “that thing”.”

 

She swats at him, “Hush…”

 

“Yes, you are done. Go hang out, we should be done in a bit.” Justin leans in to kiss her cheek and then Megan pulls him into a hug. I look down at my lap and yawn. I could use a nap. But what I really need to do right now is talk to Trace.

 

It’s not fair that Meredith and Justin get to have this fantastic relationship and that they are allowed to be petty and make out and fight and be a couple. What’s so bad about me? I don’t give a shit that he’s had things happen to him in the past. So have I. Hell, I was the one fighting it at first when he was pushing so hard. And now I’m not fighting it anymore, and he keeps pushing, but pushing for just…just one thing. I don’t mind sleeping with Trace. I like it, I like it a lot. He makes me feel special and, and makes me feel really good.

 

I just don’t understand why he can’t try. Why can’t we try dating? I’m not asking for a lifetime commitment, but something more than what we are now. Because as much fun as what we are doing now is, it’s…it kind of makes me feel cheap.

 

I guess I’m being a pathetic girl, right? I’ve got myself into a situation I should have known better. I knew when we started fucking he didn’t want much more than sex and my occasional company. I shouldn’t expect anything more.

 

But what if there is a possibility there somewhere. I just want him to tell me what he’s thinking and tell me the truth about why we can’t work to be something more. I guess I want him to open up to me.

 

“Wanna go somewhere?” I ask.

 

“Oh really?”

 

I smile, “I wanna talk.”

 

The grin drops from his face and he scoots back from me a little bit. “This sounds serious…”

 

“Come on…” I stand up and look around, picking up my purse. Meredith and Megan are laughing, talking to someone I don’t know and Justin and Marty are going over some more dance moves. I look at Trace and lick my lips, “Where’s a quiet…”

 

“Follow me.”

 

I try not to make it look so obvious, but I guess it’s hard not to when you’re following someone. We move into the lounge room and he goes straight for Justin’s room. I’m not sure why, but we don’t stop there.

 

The next thing I know the door is shut, the light is flicked on and a lock is turned. I look around the small compartment. I can’t really believe he brought me in here.

 

He smiles and sits on the toilet seat top. I stare at him. “This is Justin’s bathroom, Trace.”

 

He smiles at me and reaches his arms out. “If he has to go he’ll go in Mere’s just so he can sneak and see what they are talking about. He’s weird like that.” He pulls me over and starts to pull me down onto his lap.

 

I laugh. “I’m not sitting there…”

 

He licks his lips at me. “Where else you wanna sit?” I don’t have a moment to argue with him. He pulls me down against his lap, my legs on either side of him. I’m facing him, pressed against him, kissing him.

 

His hands immediately go up the back of my shirt, his fingertips starting to make me ache for him, skimming softly up my spine. I shouldn’t be doing this but I don’t care, it feels good. I hate him sometimes, I really do. I wanted to talk and here he is doing….things. He starts mumbling against my mouth, kissing me in between words, telling me that this reminds him of the other night, except we were naked and on his bed and he was in me. He tells me he wants to fuck me slow like that again.

 

Shit.

 

Unfortunately, just as his words are making me feel so good and making me want to do him right here, I reach out to grab something to hold onto. I feel his hand toy with my bra strap and his tongue licking down my chest, trying to unbutton the top button right at the center of my chest with his teeth.

 

But I grab onto the fucking toilet paper.

 

I sigh and pull away a little bit and look at him. Why did he bring me in here! “Trace, I’m straddling you on a toilet.”

 

He looks a little shocked but pulls himself together quickly, smiles and shrugs at me, “Well, this door has a lock.”

 

“Why can’t we just do it out there on the couch?”

 

“Cause then he might come in.” He looks flustered still, but happy. But I’m not. That wasn’t a good thing to say to me right now. I shouldn’t be here, no matter how good it feels. It seems like all we do is have sex. I mean sure we talk a lot and we did go out to the movies that night, but of course as soon as we got home he was all over me. I should have had some resistance. I should have told him I can’t do this all the time. It’s just not fair to me.

 

It’s not fair when I want so much more, and I think he knows that.

 

“You don’t know what you are doing, do you?”

 

“Shut up and kiss me.” He smiles, trying to be cute and tries to pull me against his body. But I push him away and stand up off of him and go out of the door to the couch in Justin’s room.

 

“No…I wanna talk to you.”

 

“About what? What’d I do this time?” He mopes after me and sits down beside me. Gross! He just picked up some of Justin’s dirty socks so he could sit down. I don’t wanna know what else has been thrown on this damn couch of his. Probably dirty boxers or something equally disturbing. And I’m sure him and Meredith have used this couch. The other day no one could find them for a half hour. They were pissing people off and finally Trace and I tried this room. Justin answered the door out of breath with just his pants on and Meredith called out from the bathroom, “Baby, where did my bra go?”

 

Cute, real cute. Gag me.

 

“What is it?” He says after a moment.

 

I sigh, turn towards him and decide just to lay it out there, hoping I don’t ruin everything. “Are we just going to stay friends?”

 

There’s a long pause and I feel my stomach start to churn. Maybe I should have just shut up and kissed him. I can feel a fight brewing.

 

“Things are hectic right now, but....let’s just see what happens after this tour.”

 

That’s complete bull shit and he knows it. Why can’t he just be honest and tell me he’s terrified of commitment right now, that he doesn’t wanna go that route and something happen like it did last year? It’s not fair to me! Does he really just see me as some fucking bimbo in his bed with her legs spread? I know he doesn’t want this type of serious relationship, but I wish he’d just be honest with me and give me something a little bit more than groping me on a toilet. Why can’t he just admit that he cares about me? Why can’t a guy just fucking care about me!

 

Maybe that’s the problem, maybe it’s impossible. Maybe I’m too uptight or bitchy or whatever it is people call me. I’m supposed to be stronger than this. I’m not supposed to just give into him. I always do this. I always give into men. It’s…it’s not right. It’s like I have some mental illness. I don’t want to tell him about Keith and then make him think I’m trying to give him some fucking sob story to make him feel obligated to be with me.

 

But why can’t a man just want to be with me? It’s not fair.

 

"The tour is gonna be almost two months, Trace.” I stare him directly in the face. He’s staring back, but I can tell that he’s not looking in my eyes, focusing on my nose or my forehead or someplace else. “That’s a long time."

 

His brown eyes focus right in on mine now. “Is that some kind of ultimatum?”

 

I don’t know what he’s talking about but he seems angry. Hell, I’m just asking. Is it a crime to have a discussion about us? Apparently. “I can’t just continue to fuck you like this. I’m better than the cheap sluts Justin throws at you.”

 

Oh yeah…that.

 

The past week, Trace has told me that Justin is on a mission to hook him up with someone. The first day here there was some girl, I think her name was Bambi or something ridiculous. Justin kept telling Trace to show her around. Apparently she’s a friend of Justin’s. Yeah fucking right.

 

It was ok though. Trace just made fun of her because she really was dumb as hell and I had to play shoulder to Meredith who was certain that Bambi and Justin used to sleep together and that she was trying to get back with him. I don’t know, as much as I hate the guy, Justin spent most of the day flirting grossly with Meredith and trying to get her to laugh and seemed to not be all interested in blondie, seemed to make fun of her as much as Trace.

 

Which kind of pissed me off. I mean, I’m way better than her. I’m better than some playboy slut but I guess his best friend would rather have him with all body and no brains than me. Hell, what’s so bad about me?

 

I’m starting to make myself get angrier and I need to calm myself down. I’ve been trying hard to control myself and my emotions, especially those that come out when I’m frustrated or upset. I take a deep breath and pull my hair back into a ponytail and then let it fall, staring up at the ceiling.

 

“So I’m just supposed to be with you?” He says in a bitter tone.

 

I slowly look back down at him. He’s staring at me with a blank expression.

 

So much for trying to control myself. I start to laugh. I try to hold it in cause I know this is my bitch laugh, this is the laugh that the more I do it the angrier I get and then you don’t really have a chance to make it up to me. Fuck. He’s such an asshole. Why can’t he just admit it to me that he’s scared instead of being all cocky about it like he’s better than me? Well he’s not fucking better than me!

 

And I’ll be damned if I let him make me feel that way! Again.

 

I suck in a breath, determined to leave the room and go hide in Meredith’s room or tell her I feel sick and go home and watch Style network or something. I mumble to myself, “No you're not ‘just supposed to be with me’. You're supposed to want to be with me.”

 

He hears me and I don’t really care. I know he’s stood up and I know he’s coming behind me. “You act like it’s so easy! Justin is...”

 

What the fuck? This has nothing to do with that over grown arrogant bitch!

 

I turn on my heels and stare straight at him. “Justin has no say in what we are or what we do. And it’s ridiculous that you let him have a say in things. You don’t have shit to say about him and Meredith.” All he does it blink. I can’t stand it. I can’t stand it when he cuts off his emotions like this. It makes me feel weak and powerless and pathetic. I am not pathetic! “This is not worth it. I don’t know why I fucking bother.”

 

I make a move to turn and open the door so I can get out of this hell hole, but he grabs me. He grabs me and kisses me, hard. Shit. I hate him. He can’t do this. I push at him a little bit to get him to stop. I don’t want him winning me back so damn easily. Dammit. I break. I am pathetic and I am weak. I start to kiss him back. I can’t help myself, he feels good and solid and he’s kissing me like, like he really cares. I run my hands over his shoulders and kiss him back with all that I can. I’m worth it dammit. Isn’t…isn’t this worth it? Don’t I mean more to you than just sex? I have to.

 

I have to. He said I was the first girl he’s been with since his fiancée. Why wouldn’t he just fuck everything in sight if he didn’t really care about me? Why would he try to spend so much time with me?

 

I hear a click somewhere in the room, behind me. It starts to register that I should stop what I’m doing, but I don’t want to. I don’t want to leave his arms and I don’t want him to let me go.

 

“What the…”

 

I gasp and turn around, his hands have paused over my sides and he’s staring past me, behind me. Of course, of fucking course Justin is there staring at us with a shocked face. I guess now he knows and I guess now he’ll be out of denial and start to realize that we are together. I turn back and look at Trace, ready for him to defend us, to stick up for us, to tell him to leave us alone.

 

He clears his throat and steps from in front of me, around to get closer to Justin. "This isn’t what you think."

 

I feel myself fall and crash down into the floor like a piece of delicate glass shattering. What an asshole! I shake my head and back away, saying, “Oh my God! You act like Justin’s your wife and you are on a soap opera and just got caught cheating!" He doesn’t look at me, just stares at his best friend. I move and get in front of Trace so that he’ll finally look at me. “You’re fucking kidding me, right?”

 

Is…is he ashamed of me?

 

Holy shit. He’s…he’s ashamed of me, embarrassed. I bite my lip. I can’t…I can’t do this.

 

“What the hell is going on?” Justin says, being the dumb idiot he is, standing in the doorway just staring between us.

 

I shake my head at Trace. Fuck him. Fuck him and his insecurities. I wasn’t asking for much. Just, just the truth. Even if he told me all he wanted was sex, I could handle it. I could fucking handle it. But no, he has to go around and act like this is my problem. Well for once, this isn’t my problem. I might be difficult and sometimes I might give mixed signals but my head was clear about this.

 

Fucking crystal.

 

“Absolutely nothing, Justin.” I turn and walk out. It’s all I can do to keep myself from screaming.

 

Everyone out there is staring at me. Why the hell are they staring at me? Meredith and Megan are by the table, eating something, staring. Why are they all staring at me? I shake my head and march straight to the doors that lead to the bathrooms and the exit. I walk, I just walk and I walk heading out, going somewhere. I don’t know how long I’m going to go or where I’m going to go but I have to get out of here. I have to get away form all this drama.

 

I didn’t ask for this. I just, I just wanted someone…someone to really take notice of me and care about me.

 

Is that so much to ask?

 

“Courtney…”

 

I stop in my tracks and almost trip up. Ya know, there was a time when I would turn around and I’d see him there, standing, looking lost, begging me with his eyes to come back to him, telling me that he was sorry but not really saying it. And I would buy into it and I’d run and I’d fall against him and cry and beg him to take me back and beg him to never leave me again.

 

But I’m not that girl anymore. And I’m not going to put up with this.

 

“Don’t follow me.”

 

If it means being alone and, and closed off then oh well. It’s better than me getting in over my head and getting hurt like I have been.

 

Because I can’t handle being hurt like that again.

 

Maybe he was right. Maybe this is a good thing. Maybe he’s not ready for commitment and I’m no where near ready for this kind of relationship. Some people are just destined to be alone, right? It’s not a bad thing. There are a lot of people out there like me, alone, on their own. I don’t care about getting married and having kids and a perfect family. I have a good job. I make a hell of a lot of money. I don’t need friends or a lover or a fucking boyfriend.

 

I don’t need anybody.

 

He calls out my name and I continue walking forward, heading to some double doors, unsure of where they will lead me, positive that wherever it is it’s a better place than this over lit hallway that echoes and smells like bleach. “Don’t…” I say and push through the doors, whispering to myself. “It’s over.”

 

Chapter 23 by Mere

Chapter 23

 

Meredith’s bedroom, 7:35 p.m.

 

“So, he’s not.” I smile at Megan who’s sprawled out on Meredith’s bed, her legs kicked up, her fingers flipping through some magazine. She doesn’t pay attention to me, just flips a page violently and starts to smile.

 

“Well, he certainly isn’t any more.”

 

This girl’s hilarious. I haven’t really hung out with her a whole lot until today and yesterday. I talked to her quite a bit at the party last night and introduced her to a lot of people because Meredith was busy most of the night. In fact, I only really got to see her a couple times. When I first arrived, she ran over, kissed me quickly, hugged Megan and Trace and then scampered off. She talked to both of us for about ten minutes a little later and then near the latter part of the night she plopped down beside me, leaned her head against my shoulder, complained of a champagne headache and sore feet and told me she was ready to go home.

 

Heels click in the bathroom that I can’t see into and I hear Meredith yell, “Meg, stop being a slut face!”

 

Megan looks up to her left and narrows her eyes. “Shut up and get ready! I’m hungry.”

 

“We still gotta wait for them to come pick us up, darling.” Heels click again and I hear the sink running for a moment. I want to go in there and see her and kiss her, but I don’t. I just sit here and roll up my sleeves like a good boy and don’t bother her. I’ve been in the dog house for a week now. It sucks. Sure we’ve kissed and made out pretty heavily, but she hasn’t let me get naked with her in a week, no two weeks ‘cause the last time we did shit was in Tennessee. And we’re all going out tonight to celebrate her album release on a much quieter and smaller scale than last night and I know she’s gonna be looking hot and teasing the shit out of me.

 

“I’m trying to have a conversation here…” Megan rolls her eyes, throws the magazine off the bed and moves to sit up, looking at me. “Anyway so he told me he lied about being a virgin ‘cause he thought I was one and didn’t want to scare me.”

 

I laugh and say, “I thought Meredith might have been one when I first met her.”

 

Megan laughs, “I can see that. She can play the shy card, but me…hello, I’m about as blunt as they come.”

 

Heels click some more and my girl comes into view and I smile at her. She’s got one hand on her hip, wearing sexy, tight jeans and a cute little sleeveless top. Shit, she looks good. She waves her makeup brush in between me and Megan, “Should I be worried that my boyfriend is so interested that my best friend is having sex with her own boyfriend.”

 

“Mere you don’t understand,” I say, trying to get her to come over here and give me a kiss. I bite my lip like I know she likes and smile at her. “You don’t find many twenty something year old guys who are virgins and who are attractive.”

 

It doesn’t work and for a moment I feel like an idiot when she bends over in laughter. “Oh my god, you found him attractive!”

 

“Shut up, I’m confident enough in myself to be able to say that.”

 

She rolls her eyes at me. “Confident, don’t you mean arrogant?”

 

It doesn’t really hurt my feelings, but she’s taken the fact that she’s “mad” at me a little farther than I like. It’s not like she’s mean to me, but she picks on me a lot more and I know if I was picking on her right now she’d really get mad at me and probably get a bit of an attitude. I don’t know, I guess that’s unfair. I guess I deserve it. I guess she’s trying to teach me a lesson or something since she didn’t like that I blew up at her and her assistant. But damn, I’m not in school any more. I don’t need a fucking teacher. “Hush.”

 

She waves me away and walks back into the bathroom. “You shouldn’t have said that. Now she’s gonna want you to have a threesome.”

 

I raise an eyebrow at Megan. “Really now?”

 

“Nah, she’d tease the hell out of you about it but never go through with it.”

 

“Megan!” I can’t help but laugh at her voice coming through the bathroom again. “Stop telling all my secrets and come in here in the good light and tell me if my eye makeup looks ok.”

 

“Well damn…” Megan says, pushing herself up off the bed and walking into the bathroom. “Hurry it up because they should be here any minute.”

 

The door shuts and I wonder why. It’s not like I’m going to spill their secrets. I guess they’re probably talking about me.

 

Stop being conceded Justin, they’re probably talking about something totally different. Probably about some hot guy or some girl thing that I wouldn’t understand. She does that with Courtney sometimes, too and that really annoys me. Megan doesn’t bother me. I know they are best friends and have secrets and shit. I don’t know. I guess I’ve been kind of weirded out ever since I walked in on Trace and her. It just doesn’t make sense to me. He’s never in his life gone for someone like her. He told me I didn’t know her enough to be able to make that judgment. Hell, I’ve been around her quite a bit the past few months. I think I know her pretty damn well.

 

And I still don’t trust her.

 

Especially after he said she just walked out on him and wouldn’t understand or couldn’t handle that he didn’t want a relationship. He told me that he told her he just wanted like a fuck buddy. I mean, if you can’t handle it don’t get in that situation, ya know? And clearly she can’t. I tried to be a good friend to Trace and listen to him but when he told me he had sex with her I was a little shocked. I mean, he hasn’t really been with anyone since Elisha. Maybe that’s the meaning of all this. He got so fucked up with her he doesn’t even realize what he’s doing, who he’s doing.

 

Meredith says I’m being unfair. She says I should give Courtney a chance. I don’t really understand why I should. I’m not obligated to be friends with her. I try to stay out of her way and she stays out of mine and that’s cool. But she’s still always fucking staring at me or staring at Meredith and I can’t stand that shit. It’s one thing if it’s a fan or just a by passer but shit, this girl is supposed to be professional. She’s got a job to do and it’s not to stare at me, taking notes or ripping me apart or trying to figure me out or whatever the hell it is she is trying to do. And it makes sense now all those times Meredith said she was moody or messed up or whatever. She and Trace had fought the night before or something. If she can’t keep her personal shit from messing up her work, then she’s not meant to be a personal assistant.

 

Trace hit me with the bomb, though. He told me he might care about her.

 

What in the hell? Have sex with the girl all you want, but if you start caring about her then yes, shit like this is gonna happen and she’s gonna run off and be pissed at you and take it all out on someone else and be a bitch about everything. I barely even saw her last night or him. I think he was trying to make it up to her at the party. He shouldn’t even bother. He should let me set him up with someone, like Bev who was here the other day. She’s a nice girl, dumb as fuck, but she’s like the perfect rebound chick. She’ll just stick around long enough, doesn’t give a shit if all you wanna do is have sex or just sit around and watch ESPN with a hot girl beside you. And she’s fuckin’ fine.

 

He should have started to date her or fuck around with her, really, ‘cause for some reason, me inviting Bev to rehearsals really got me in trouble with Mere. She kept wanting to know how I knew her, and how good of friends we use to be. I swore to her I’ve never fucked her, and I haven’t. I mean yeah, we might have fooled around once or twice, but that was like fuckin’ years ago. It was the first real time I’ve seen Mere jealous. Like when I was being an ass in Miami she wasn’t really jealous of those girls in the studio, just pissed at me and frustrated and hurt that I treated her the way I did, and she had every right to feel that way.

 

But Bev? I mean come on. I got Mere, why the hell would I want some other girl who’s not nearly as hot and who’s dumb as a brick?

 

I think I really fucked up at the awards when I blew up. After our fight in Miami, Mere latched onto me, decided to put all that behind us and move forward, but then she saw that I’m not perfect and I think it’s kind of jaded her. She’s been really cautious with me lately. Sure we’ve stayed over with each other at night, but she’s not as physical with me and not as happy. At least she doesn’t seem that way. I feel like I’m always doing something wrong. I don’t know what I gotta do but I gotta do something to make her realize that I’m not purposefully trying to be an ass. I fucked up, I’m gonna fuck up.

 

She keeps saying that she knows that and that she knows I’m not perfect, but I don’t know.

 

Sometimes I wonder. And with us going on tour in a little more than a week, we gotta get this mess figured out.

 

I know I overreacted about the interview mix up, it wasn’t that big of a deal but it was all over the tabloids and Access Hollywood did do a story on it. Of course they asked all our reps and they confirmed that we were together so it was all cleared up but still, they made it seem like she was an idiot for saying “no” when we were really together. I seemed to get off the hook pretty easily. She didn’t seem that upset about it, but I was. I’m still not really sure how it all got mixed up. Angie seemed to pretty much clean Courtney’s name, said that it was her fault and her mix up, but I don’t know. I guess what bothered me the most is that it didn’t even seem to phase Meredith. I guess that’s good that all this press shit doesn’t bother her that much but it’s like she’s completely numb to it, it’s like all she cares about is me and that’s, that’s ok I guess.

 

I guess it’s just weird. Before I thought the way she just dove right into me and was all in love was kind of naïve and blind, but then I don’t know. Maybe, maybe she’s actually more mature. She’s not cautious and she’s not got this box around her protecting her. She’s strong and she wants to be in love and so she let herself fall for me not caring about the consequences. I think she feels like she can deal with me and her feelings and I know she has faith in me. And maybe the awards made her remember Miami and made her lose some of that faith.

 

Shit.

 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think she’s gonna break up with me or anything. I just feel like I’ve dug myself in this hole and I’m trying so hard to get out of it. But I’m afraid after I get out there’s just gonna be another hole. And sometimes I wonder if she really understands me.

 

I know she does. I know she gets me and understands how I think about things, but at the same time she…she challenges me. She makes me not…not think about myself so much. She makes me feel sometimes like...like I need to change. Do I need to change? I just don’t know if this stuff is good or bad. Like, sometimes I think she wants more from me than I can give.

 

I want to be in love, I want to be in love with her. I want to be a couple and be exclusive and all that great stuff, but…but sometimes I think she wants more. And I see myself with her, I really do, for a long, long time. But I don’t know if it’s as long as she sees us together.

 

I’m not even thirty.

 

Shit. Why am I even thinking like this? We’ve been together like a month and a half and here I am freaking out because I think she wants me to marry her or something. I take a deep breath. I just need to calm down. I’m over analyzing this. I just need to be with her and be happy because she’s right for me and she feels right for me.

 

And I feel right when I’m with her.

 

Sometimes I wish I could just shut off my mind. It always seems to be wandering to places and making assumptions that it has no reason to.

 

The door opens again and I sit up a bit, hoping that it’s her, hoping I can get a smile and some reassurance, but it’s only Megan. She closes the door behind her, laughs and goes up onto the bed again and looks around for something. “Beware, she’s starting to plug up a curling iron.”

 

“I should be worried?”

 

Megan makes some dramatic face and widens her eyes. “Yeah, Meredith is great when she has Shanda doing her makeup and hair or if she’s just going for a normal everyday look. But when she’s doing her own stuff for a night on the town she gets excited and takes…”

 

I roll my eyes but smile. I’ve noticed that. Normally she doesn’t try to get too dolled up, and she’s breathtaking even in the mornings when she has nothing on. There’s been a few times when I’ve wanted to take her out and it seemed like it was taking her a century in that bathroom, doing whatever it is she does. “Forever.”

 

The smile on Megan’s face is gone when I look at her again and she’s staring me down with an eyebrow raised. “Are you annoyed?”

 

“Um no, not really.” I take a deep breath trying to loose the feeling that I’m on a damn witness stand. “Why?”

 

“Good.” She moves her eyes and sighs. “’Cause she’s been that way ever since I’ve known her and she’s not going to change.”

 

I feel like this conversation is starting to go to a place that I don’t want it to, so I quickly try my best to stop it from turning into some deep thing about how I don’t deserve her and need to treat her right and etcetera etcetera. “I’m glad she has you Megan.”

 

“Me too. She needs someone to keep her grounded when she starts getting all gushy over you.”

 

She doesn’t look at me, just leans off the bed and picks up the remote that was on the ground and looks at it curiously. Great, now I’m going to have to dig further which is gonna get her preaching to me about being a good boyfriend, but my curiosity won’t just let me shut up and sit here and be quiet. I mean, I know Mere gets kind of excited sometimes, but that’s not really a bad thing is it?

 

“What?”

 

Her eyes stare directly into mine, “Please, you’ve been around her enough. You know how she gets. She’s all in love and obsessed and happy to be with you, and I’m glad for that, I really am. But I just don’t want her getting too far from reality. You fucked up in Miami, you guys got in that fight last week apparently, and you seem to be kind of, non-uber excited about the tour which is stressing her out.”

 

“Wait. Just hold on.” I sit up in the cushiony chair that I’m in and lean forward, my elbows on my knees. I hate this shit. I hate that I feel like I have to prove myself to Megan. She’s a great girl and a lot of fun and I’m glad my girl has someone like her in her life, but shit, this big sister act is getting damn old. “Miami, we’re past that ok? I know I fucked up but we’re trying to move on. And the awards thing, well we’ve talked about it a lot since then. Yeah I over reacted, but I think I had reason to. I think she knows that now. I was an ass that night and believe me, she’s punishing me for it. But she knows I was upset and she knows I had a right to be upset and we’re getting past that. Now, about the tour…”

 

She cuts me off. “About the tour, I’m glad you aren’t in a dream world about it like she is. I’m glad you’re being cautious. I’m just trying to get her to be a little more like that and think things through a little more. But don’t think that she’s being naïve or dumb. It’s not that at all. She knows something could fuck up, but she has faith that it’s not going to. Maybe a little too much. She’s never fell this hard before, and she trusts you. And I know you are aware that if you break that trust, you’re gonna have to deal with me, but what’s even worse, you’re gonna have to deal with her…and that’s scary.”

 

I rub my forehead with my hand. I had a pretty bad hangover this morning. Last night after her release party we went back to my place and most of us kept drinking and got completely trashed. I kind of passed out after a while and woke up this morning with me shirtless, but still in my pants and Meredith laying half on top of me still in her dress, laying on the comforter of my bed. I had the worst hangover and I think it’s starting to come back. “Megan, when can we stop with the big sister act and just hang out?”

 

“I promise I won’t lecture any more…” She grins at me. “At least not anymore tonight.”

 

I nod at her in thanks but I don’t really feel grateful, “I appreciate that.”

 

I sit back in my chair and just stare at my hands, thinking about how I wish they could be on my girl, anywhere. This morning she threw up and I held her hair back for her and it was so smooth and soft. She got mad at me and told me just to hold her hair and stop toying with it while she was puking. The click of the TV takes my thoughts off my hands and her body and this morning and how I hope maybe tomorrow morning I can wake up with her again and start it over without me having to hold back her hair, but with me running my hand over her back under the covers and kissing her shoulders to wake her up. Megan starts to laugh and I look up but not because of her laughter but because the door to the bathroom squeaks open, “God, you guys only watch the damn food network.”

 

I smile at my girl as she leans against the doorway, “Mere has some strange fetish with it.”

 

“Oh my god, I do not.” She throws a small hand towel at me in protest, but I catch it and laugh at her. “Shut up, you like it too.”

 

I look her up and down, she’s got her hair wavy but kind of pulled back and her body looks smoking. I reach out my hand, put the towel on the floor and motion for her to come over. “You look good.”

 

She smiles at me, saunters over and sits down on my knee. Her body leans into mine and she kisses me softly. She pulls back with a smile and I lick my lips. Her lip gloss tastes like something, I don’t know what it is but it’s sweet. I kiss her again, opening my mouth just a little and I hear her sigh. Fuck, I want to make her sigh my name and I want her naked with me.

 

It’s been too damn long.

 

“Need me to leave so you guys can make babies?”

 

I pull away and laugh, but I stop when she hops off of me and pats my head. “Nope, no making babies for Justin.”

 

I look at Megan and sigh, “I’ve been in the dog house for a fucking week.”

 

She laughs at me. “Told ya, you don’t wanna mess with her.”

 

“Clearly.”

 

Meredith smiles and turns to me, “Have they called?”

 

I narrow my eyes at her and reach up to pinch her side. My hand gets slapped. I feel the phone start to vibrate in my pocket and pull it to my ear and press the button saying, “psychic” to Meredith and passing her a look so that she knows how much I want her.

 

“Huh?”

 

I laugh at the confused voice over the phone. “Nothing, you here?”

 

“Like a minute away, we’ll beep the horn. Someone’s being impatient and says there’s no time to get out and visit and all that shit.”

 

I roll my eyes. I don’t know why he picked her up. I thought she was driving here separate. I bet this is Mere’s doings. I bet she called up Trace and told him to go pick Courtney up on his way. She needs to stop meddling in their business so much. It’s going to get her in trouble.

 

“Right, see ya in a sec.” I pull the phone down and stand up so I can slide it into my front pocket. I touch Mere’s neck and shoulder, squeezing gently as she rolls her head back and closes her eyes. “Y’all ready?”

 

“Yeah…” Megan yawns, clicks off the TV and says, “Lemme go get my purse.”

 

She walks out of the room and Mere goes to turn the light off in the bathroom. When she turns back around I make a point of being right there. I put my arms around her and hold her against me, smiling down at her.

 

“You look good girl.” I lean in and kiss her nose. She always gets this little cute smile when I do it.

 

“I better.”

 

I lean down again and this time I press my lips against her neck, softly. Damn, does she smell good. “You always look good.”

 

She pulls back from me before I can kiss her neck a little more seductively. She just smiles up at me, a perfect white smile that makes me melt. This girl has made me fall bad. It’s like I just need her. And the more I get the more I want and the less I get the more eager and desperate I get to have her. I know sometimes I try to hide it so I don’t look like a complete fool, but if she saw inside my mind and how much I craved her and wanted her, she’d see how bad I got it. I got it just as bad as she does, if not more so. Mere’s just a little more comfortable showing her feelings than I am. I know that’s a problem of mine, I know I need to work on it. But shit, changing is hard, especially when you’re trying to change for someone else and not yourself.

 

“You’re trying so hard to get off probation, aren’t you?”

 

“Mere…” Feeling her body against me is making me weak, and smelling her sweet perfume and seeing her bright smile. Shit, this girl knows I got it bad and she likes seeing it. I start begging her, and I hardly ever beg. “Please, it’s been like two fucking weeks since I’ve-“

 

She leans in and says slowly against my lips, “You should be able to wait for me.” Then kisses me, touching her tongue against my bottom lip and pulling away with a sexy look in her eyes.

 

I turn up my nose and whine at her, pulling away and putting my arms over my chest. I know I sound ridiculous but I’d give anything to connect with her like that again. “You’re never gonna have sex with me again, are you?”

 

She laughs, pats my arm and starts to walk away from me. “Aww, you sound so pitiful.”

 

“You’re mean.” I shuffle after her out into the hallway but she turns and stops and puts her arms around my neck, smiling at me.

 

“You like being teased, ‘cause you know once we do have sex it’s gonna be fucking phenomenal.”

 

I don’t touch her and when she leans in to kiss me I don’t kiss her back, but instead try my best to give her the most pathetic and sad look I can muster up. “Yeah if we ever have sex….”

 

“That’s true.” She just laughs and pulls away from me. “We might not ever again…” She looks over her shoulder, walking down towards the den area, winking at me, “Then what will you do….”

 

Damn that woman. She’s too hot and she knows it.

 

“Guys, they’re here…” I hear Megan call and I narrow my eyes at her.

 

“I really hate you.”

 

She laughs again and snatches up a small purse that was laying on her couch. I follow her to the door and stare at her ass as she presses a few buttons in the alarm system keypad. I wonder what she’s got on under there. I hold the door open for her as we go and she turns to say to me, “Are we coming back here tonight or going to…”

 

But I don’t pay attention because she stops mid sentence. I look up and the head lights of Trace’s Beemer are highlighting her closed garage. I hear a car door open, but I don’t see it, I don’t see anything but the two single lights that are bobbing and nearing us, coming from the street. It’s chilly outside and the wind seems to have picked up.

 

I blink.

 

This isn’t happening. This isn’t happening, not…not here.

 

Meredith’s hand is in mine immediately, holding on tight. I feel her holding onto me, standing behind me. We’re down the couple of front steps and I just stare. I feel the blood rush from my face.

 

I blink again, hoping this is a dream, hoping this is going away, hating every minute.

 

But when I open my eyes again the two lights are still there, closer now, not bobbing, and Megan is there with her hands on her hips, attitude in her voice, “Um, who the fuck are you?”

 

There’s a deep laugh, a sniff and one of the guys there holding the video camera, moves it from his face, smiling through his bushy beard and bringing a lit cigarette up to his lips, “Hi Justin, Meredith, having a good night?” He blows the smoke towards us.

 

I grip Meredith’s hand harder. She’s stiff, I can feel it and her nails are digging into the skin of my palm a little bit. I bite my lip and step forward, glaring at these two guys. Who the fuck do they think they are? “Are you serious right now, man?” I say to the one who’s blowing smoke at us. Asshole.

 

I’m seriously wondering if they realize what they are doing. This is private property, not just Meredith’s house, the whole fucking neighborhood. I don’t know how the hell they got through the front gate to the neighborhood. Hell, the security guard gave me a hard time a few weeks ago because I didn’t know Mere’s number address. These guys are trespassing and they’re gonna have a hell of a fun time in jail.

 

Idiots.

 

Just calm down Justin, just get in the car and get out of here and call Johnny and have him deal with it.

 

“Oh…that’s your friend, right Meredith?” One of them says, pushing their camera up in Megan’s face.

 

She puts her hand up on the lens to block it and they pull back a little bit. I hear Trace’s voice say, “Hey, back off ok, you guys find something better to do.” Another car door slams.

 

“Pays the bills right here.” One of them says and laughs.

 

The guy with the video camera looks up at me and smiles, sickening. I see his eyes shift to the right of me a little bit and then back into my own. “You’re girlfriend is looking hot tonight.” He starts to say and I can literally feel my blood start to pump and boil. I fist my hands and feel Meredith’s hand in mine, still holding on like she’s dangling off a cliff and I’m the only thing that’s got her. Yeah, it sucks and these assholes are breaking the law, but she’s not saying anything. I...I hope she’s not freaking out on me. I know she’s use to paparazzi, but it’s never cool when they are at your house.

 

“You think maybe she and her friend will let you take some kinky pictures of them like they’ve done before?”

 

“Justin…” She says softly and pulls on my hand and arm, pulling me back. Immediately Trace is blocking me, trying to get me to look at him, trying to calm me down. I don’t even know what I was doing, but I’m staring that asshole with the fucking beard down, ready to punch is fucking face in. It’s over now. That dude just fucked himself over.

 

I stare that son of a bitch right in the face and try to step forward, past Trace. I try to let go of Meredith but now she’s got her other hand on my side, almost around me, pulling me back. “You wanna rile me up? Go ahead, rile me up as far as you want! I promise you won’t get very fucking far.”

 

“Hey, no need to get rude. We’re just making a conversation and getting some pictures. Ya know you’ve always liked whores, so we just wanted to docu-”

 

I rip away from Meredith and almost push past Trace but he puts his hands on my shoulders and won’t let go. I still don’t look at him. “No, no no…stop it. Calm down.”

 

“You wanna fucking call my girl a whore again?” I say.

 

“You wouldn’t do a damn thing, pussy.”

 

I move, trying to get so I can punch this fucker’s face in. Who the hell does he think he is?

 

But I feel hands behind me, small hands pulling me back, her voice calling me, saying desperately in a whisper, “Justin, stop it.”

 

I take a breath and turn to her, trying my best to calm down. She looks like she might cry. I know she’s not going to, I know probably no one else notices. But I see her lip trembling a little bit, the confident look that’s normally in her eyes is gone and she’s pleading with me, silently. I look at her, “Get inside.”

 

“Please…” She whispers, glancing at the paparazzi for a moment. God, how the FUCK did they get in here?

 

I grit my teeth and say to her slowly, “Just go inside, now.”

 

I see Courtney come over out of the corner of my eye and she nods at me, and hooks her arm in between Meredith’s and tries her best to pull her from me. She does, and says softly, “Come on, Mere…”

 

“Justin he’s fucking with you…” I hear Trace say in a quiet voice as I watch the girls go inside. Meredith looks back at me and she looks fucking defeated or something. “Just calm down, maybe you should go inside, too. We’ll call the cops and they’ll-”

 

I pivot around and step forward, getting close to the guy with the beard’s face, the other guy looks like he’s only 20 and has a skinny face and sunken eyes like he’s been on drugs or something. He looks harmless though. I bet I could snap him in half. “You know you’re fucking trespassing! You can get your ass in jail for that and you’re harassing me? How stupid can you be? Don’t think I haven’t been through enough of this shit before.”

 

The guy with the beard laughs and puts the camera back in my face, the bright light blinding me for a second. “Oh I know, you like to make a big scene for the cameras and then act like its all sad and depressing that people are taking your picture and you want the cops to stop us. They won’t do shit. It’s not illegal to take a picture. You’re just a pussy with a slutty girlfriend.”

 

Trace is in front of me faster than I can do anything and he’s trying his best to talk to this guy civilly, but that’s not gonna work ‘cause these fuckers are animals and they don’t give a fucking shit. “Man, you need to chill the fuck down. That’s out of line and you know it.”

 

“Who’s this? Your little bitch lover?”

 

He laughs and turns around to me, rolling his eyes. “Oh right, like I’ve never heard that before.” He tells me to come with him and we get closer to the car. I look back, surprised the paps aren’t following us, their talking to each other and I can’t hear what they are saying. Trace’s trying to calm me down but it’s not working. I just stare at these assholes, glaring, wishing I knew what they were saying. I can’t believe this. They fucking ruined my damn good night. I was gonna have fun with my girl and our friends and here they gotta show up and fuck up every damn thing. And now I’m gonna have to fucking deal with this drama all fucking night. Maybe Trace is right, I should just go inside.

 

Courtney comes back outside from where she took Mere and Megan in and waves her cell phone in the air, smiling at the assholes. “You guys are welcome to stick around. I called security and the PD so you are welcome to stay around if you’d like to be arrested.”

 

The skinny guy points to me with his digital camera. Fuck, I should just rip the thing from his grimy ass fingers. “You might want to give him his rabies shot. He’s starting to foam at the mouth.”

 

“You guys are pathetic and lame, just leave,” Courtney says. I’m just leaning against the car with my arms crossed, waiting, waiting for them to fuck up again.

 

“Why?”

 

I glare and push myself off the car, “‘Cause I’ll have your fucking ass arrested, that’s why.”

 

One of those assholes tries to fucking mock me in a high pitched voice. How pathetic. “My fucking ass arrested? Oh dear...”

 

I look at Trace and point to the fuckers, “Did he seriously just mock me?”

 

“Justin he’s a tool. Just forget about it and get in the house and me and Courtney will handle it.”

 

I sigh and think maybe he’s right. I probably should just go inside and calm down and sit down and think for a second. Think how I’m going to deal with this. They’re not gonna fuck around with Courtney and Trace, all they want is me or Mere to make some scene. I sigh and try to shake off this horrible feeling.

 

My head snaps up at that word, at the word I know I just heard that asshole say. He just said my girl was being a shy little cunt. I stare at him and push myself off the car.

 

Oh, fuck no.

 

I pull away from where Trace is trying to hold me back and go right up into the guys face. I should just punch him, I shouldn’t even try to say anything, “What did you just say?” The fucker just laughs, just laughs and blows smoke in my face.

 

I hear and feel both Courtney and Trace pulling me back. “Justin…” They say and I try my best to pull away from them.

 

“Let go of me!”

 

“No…calm down, ok?” Courtney says to me. I can’t look her in the face right now. I can’t look anyone in the face. They don’t know, they don’t understand. This is her god damn house! This isn’t a restaurant or a club, this is her fucking HOUSE and even if we were at a restaurant, if one of these fuckers called my girl that, they wouldn’t have time to think. “You’re giving him everything he wants.”

 

I pull away. They’re right. I am. I’m doing exactly what those fuckers want, but I can’t just let someone bash my girl and get away from it. I pace a little bit and point to the guys who are now looking off into the distance. “He just called Meredith a cunt.”

 

“They’re three year olds calling people names, just-” I breathe thank God when I hear a low siren in the distance.

 

“Shit dude…” The skinny guy says and takes off running. The bearded guy takes off as well, throwing his cigarette down, just as the flashing lights come into view. I think it’s just the neighborhood security though and not the cops. At least it’s someone.

 

“Not part of the plan!” One of them shouts. I want to run after them and as they run to the right of Meredith’s house through the bushes that separates her property from her neighbors.

 

“See, just pathetic losers who run away at anything,” Trace says and I rip away and pace some more. I want to follow them but I know that won’t do any good. We have their descriptions, if the photo or video comes up the cops will be able to trace it back, hell, examine that damn cigarette butt and get some DNA. I rub my forehead. Breathe, they didn’t murder anyone, just breathe.

 

They’ll get found out, those trespassing son of a bitches. I can’t believe they just walked right up here and starting saying that shit.

 

I don’t care who you are, you don’t have a fucking right to do that.

 

“’How the fuck did they get in here Trace? This is a private community.”

 

“I don’t know, but we’ll find out when we talk to this guy, ok?” He replies, nodding at the guard stepping out of his car. “And if you wanna press charges we will.”

 

Courtney sighs and calls back to us as she walks towards the guard, “Mere will have to do that. It’s her property that was trespassed.”

 

I stare after her. I’ll still fucking press for harassment. You watch me. And Meredith will press charges, I guarantee that shit. Trace is in front of me again, “Go inside. I do not want you talking to this guy when you’re pissed off.”

 

“Way to fucking ruin a perfect night.”

 

“Why are you letting this get to you?”

 

I shake my head. Why doesn’t he understand? They called my girl a cunt on her own property. It just doesn’t make sense. Why would they be that stupid? Why would anyone be that stupid? Paparazzi are usually smart or at least clever, and these guys…I don’t know. Maybe they are just idiots, but then how did they know where to find her. And how the FUCK did they get past that front gate? I look at him. “It’s one thing at a restaurant or a club or out shopping, but this is her fucking house Trace. That’s not right. And why the hell would they just come up like that?”

 

“To get a reaction out of you.”

 

“That’s sick,” I say.

 

“Yeah, but it’s how it works. You know that.”

 

“I just...” I sigh and run my hands over my head. I have a migraine and I could really use my punching bag right around now. “Usually if they get someone’s house they keep all secretive and shit. This…this just doesn’t make logical sense.” I shake my head and say to him, “Call Teddy and Tiny. I want them to search the area.”

 

“Justin, you’re freaking out.”

 

I glare at him. What the hell? “Don’t you think I have a right to? God Dammit Trace, this is her fucking house and they just walked right up and started saying shit.”

 

“Ok, ok…look, I get it.” He says. “I’d be pissed, too. Hell, I am pissed. Those guys were royal assholes.” He shakes his head and points to Mere’s front door. “But you need to hide that right now and go in there and make sure she’s ok and calm yourself down. Let me handle this. Looking like you want to hit something isn’t going to do damn thing.”

 

“I hate when you’re right about everything.”

 

“I know…” He pushes on my shoulder and says, “Go inside.” He turns to walk towards the security guard there. I know he’ll want to talk to me and Meredith and Megan, but I just, I need to be alone right now. I just need to get alone and let this shit calm down. ‘Cause…’cause right now I’m about to blow up.

 

I’m not supposed to let shit like this bother me. I’m supposed to be a pro at this. Yeah, it always pisses me off, but usually I can just let it go by ignoring them, not smiling or flipping them off. It’s one thing for them to completely be idiots and trespass, but…but why were they trying so hard to piss me off? Why were they saying shit about her? Why couldn’t they just get their footage and get out and get paid? Now they have more shit to worry with. Now they’re fucking running around in the bushes trying to escape the fucking police.

 

I just have this feeling that something’s not right about this situation. It’s always awkward when people are taking pictures of you, but something about this just, it just doesn’t feel right. I think that’s why I’m so upset. Something…something is just not right. I wish I could explain it better. It’s like this was planned or orchestrated. It’s like someone was really trying to get to me. It just doesn’t make sense.

 

But I’ll figure it out. Something’s going on here, and I’ll be damned if I don’t find out who’s to blame for this. The past few weeks I’ve been a little paranoid for some reason. I don’t know if it’s just because I’m being over cautious about a new girlfriend or what, but something about tonight isn’t right and I’m going to find out who’s behind it. I’ve never been wrong about a gut feeling before and I know damn well I’m not wrong now.
Chapter 24 by Mere

Chapter 24

 

Meredith’s front steps, 8:59 p.m.

 

There’s this stillness about a summer night in LA that doesn’t quite compare to a summer night in Millington and that never has sat right with me. The distant drum of road noise echoes in your ears, and when you look up at the sky you can tell there aren’t any clouds but you still can’t see the stars. You can hear crickets and bugs in the bushes beside you, but they don’t seem to be singing like they do in Tennessee. Summer nights in Tennessee are hot, muggy, but refreshing, not chilly and dead like here. The cicadas would drown out any road noise, but there wouldn’t be any road noise anyway, just the occasional pick up with a busted headlight chugging along the two lane highway a quarter mile out in front of your front porch.

 

Don’t get me wrong, I like LA. I love the restaurants and the shops and being out here where there’s so much shit to do that it’s impossible for someone to be bored. But I miss being bored. I miss Tennessee. I miss being lazy and having not a damn thing to do but take a nap, or walk down to the bait shop. I miss having to just go for a drive for excitement, not going anywhere, not stopping until you got back home, just driving. I miss being in Tennessee with a girl.

 

She sighs next to me, a tired, bored sigh. I pull the cigarettes out of my front pocket and smack them into my palm for a moment trying to smack out the thoughts coming into my mind, the thoughts of being in Tennessee with her.

 

I fucked up. I fucked up bad. At least she’s sitting beside me now and at least she doesn’t seem disgusted with me like she was in the car. She didn’t want me to pick her up. She said she could do it herself, but I was already at her door at that point and she was just walking out. I said some smartass retarded thing about how carpooling is good for the environment and she rolled her eyes and mumbled something about hoping I’d choke on smog. It was silent in the car ride here and I really didn’t know what to say, so I just turned the radio up a little bit and pretended that she wasn’t even there, knowing she didn’t want me to acknowledge her.

 

Then we pulled up, we honked the horn. She watched the front door and watched them come out and I watched her. I looked at her and her hair and how she had pulled it back and how she was looking rather beautiful in that moment with the sun low in the sky, behind the horizon. It’s kind of how I’ve felt the past couple days, still there, still trying to peek through and get to her, knowing I’ve burnt out my time, but completely blocked, realizing I’d have to just lay low for a while until she wants me back. But I guess the sun is always around…somewhere.

 

I don’t know. That’s gay. I should stop thinking this way. I’m getting too deep and getting to the point where I don’t even understand what I mean.

 

I pull a cigarette out, I only have two left. It keeps still between my lips but I don’t light it yet, and I don’t really know why. Part of me wants a smoke so I don’t have to talk to her, so I can occupy my mouth with something else while I think about her and sit near her.

 

But then if I really don’t want to talk to her, why haven’t I gone inside yet? The cop left five minutes ago and I didn’t like him and I really didn’t like his attitude. I should probably check on Justin, especially since I could tell Justin was almost as furious at the cop as he was the paps.

 

I don’t really blame him. The fucking cop seemed amused by all this like it was a joke but at the same time annoyed, like we we’re all acting like children.

 

“Well, that guy was an asshole.” I say, mumbling with the cigarette about to fall from my mouth, but I know it won’t. I’ve got it under control. When I first started smoking I’d get in front of a mirror with an unlit cig and practice talking with one in my mouth, barely hanging on like you see all those bad ass guys do in the movies. I guess that’s one of the reasons I started to smoke, to look cool. My best friend was mister fucking cool, selling all these records with all these girls around, living in Florida and fucking around and having his dreams come true. And what was I? A high school drop out, with no direction, no dreams and who no girl wanted to be seen with, not even if I told them that my best friend was Justin Timberlake from Nsync.

 

They wouldn’t have believed me anyway. They never did.

 

So I started getting really into what I wore and how I acted and how I spoke. I didn’t change who I was, but I tried to refine myself, define myself. Smoking looked cool to me so I picked it up. I started drinking hard liquor instead of beer just to seem older, to be cooler.

 

I was the lamest fucking 16 year old.

 

She clears her throat, shifts a little bit next to me and sighs, “Which one?”

 

I still am pretty fucking lame. And I don’t know what the hell I was thinking trying to look as cool as my best friend. Justin has never been cool.

 

Justin’s lamer than I am.

 

I hold in my laughter and pull the cigarette from my mouth holding it in between my fingers. “The cop.”

 

“He couldn’t do anything Trace. We filed a report, but this is private property. It’s up to the private security to search the area.”

 

“Yeah…” I yawn. I didn’t sleep very well last night. Normally I can sleep anywhere, anytime without a problem, but I guess I had too much shit on my mind and now I’m paying for it. “It just sucks they got away.”


”Yeah, don’t take it out on that cop. He had an attitude, but he probably has a hell of a lot more important things to do than come out here and listen to two celebrities whine about getting their picture taken.”

 

“Are you serious? They were trespassing and harassing them, hell all of us.” I look at her and she’s not looking at me, staring down at her shoes, brushing a bit of dirt off the front of them. They’re these nice dressy short heels that are trendy and cute, something I’ve hardly ever seen her in.

 

“Trace, I know that.” She sighs, but still doesn’t look at me. In fact, she hasn’t really looked at me all night, all last night…ever since I fucked up. “And it pissed me off, but what can we do about it? Hell, they got exactly what they wanted. They freaked Meredith out, made her go and lock herself in her room all night and then they enraged Justin. Are you sure he doesn’t need anger management classes? I’ve never seen someone get so emotional so quickly. Not just about this Trace, about everything.”

 

“Justin’s an emotional guy…” I start to say more, but then I realize I should just leave him out of this. I know she hates him. I know he hates her, but there’s not a damn thing I can do about it. Once Justin makes up his mind it takes a fucking army to make him change it.

 

“But…”

 

I cut her off quickly. We don’t need to go down this path. I wanna get her to like me again and I wanna make up for hurting her feelings like I did, and talking about Justin with her isn’t going to make this conversation pleasant at all. “But nothing…”

 

“You were gonna say something…”

 

“Just…” I rub my forehead and shift to finally pull my lighter out of my front pocket. It’s this fancy thing with my initials all engraved on it that my sister gave me for Christmas. My mom got mad, but I told her I’d just use it to light candles. Ha. I don’t even own candles. “I don’t know. It’s not a big deal.”

 

Justin does though. I have to buy this special kind for him from this specialty store in Beverly Hills. I mean, Justin can go there and buy them himself, but a lot of times it’s just easier if I do it ‘cause it’s right where a lot of paparazzi like to hang out. I don’t mind going there for him, but he use to not mind going there by himself or anywhere there on that street where there are a lot of cool shops that he likes. But now…

 

It’s not that he’s a hermit by any means, but dammit if he isn’t paranoid. I mean, I’ve seen him paranoid before but it’s like, not really paranoid about himself anymore, it’s about her, too.

 

“What isn’t a big deal?”

 

“He’s changed.” Shit, it’s on my mind and I can’t talk about this with him and Courtney is really the only person I got, even though it’ll probably piss her off. It’s kind of sad. I mean, it’s not like I’m ashamed she’s my friend or anything, but it’s kind of sad that Justin’s my best friend, and I have lots of other friends but none that I think I could talk to about him. They’d all want to try to get in the middle and get us to make up, when we really weren’t fighting to begin with. I’m just a little concerned, nothing major. Nothing that probably won’t blow over…I hope. I hope he starts acting normal again. “I mean, not like bad, I don’t know. Ever since him and Mere have got serious he’s been much more frantic than usual. He’s always been paranoid to an extent, but I don’t know. Tonight he was out of line. I would have been pissed, too but he knows that that’s what they are trying to do. He should have just gone inside at first. He’s been taught to handle situations like that.”

 

“You think Mere is a bad influence or something?”

 

I finally light my cigarette, not being able to wait anymore. I take in a deep soothing breath and let it out, enjoying the taste of tobacco. “I don’t know what’s going on. I guess I should talk to him about it.”

 

She laughs a little and I watch her rub her forehead and shake her head. Her voice isn’t bitter, but it’s kind of sad and disappointed. “Like you talked to him about us?”

 

“Court…”

 

“Sorry, let’s drop it.” She’s looking at me finally, but then I realize her eyes aren’t focused on me but on my mouth. She smiles at me a bit, “I wish you had another one.”

 

“We could go out and get a pack.” I say blowing the smoke out away from her.

 

“Nah, I’m supposed to be quitting.”

 

I laugh at her and hand her the cigarette. “You’ve been quitting ever since I met you.”

 

“You’re a bad influence.” She glares at me but then takes it and sucks in a breath, closing her eyes and letting it out slowly, sighing almost, before handing it back to me.

 

It’s quiet again, just the sound of a few bugs, distant sounds of cars and the smell of tobacco around us. She clears her throat and I hand her back the cigarette. “I wonder if Teddy and Tiny found anything.”

 

“I doubt it. What would they find? It’s not like there’s a blood trail. It’s like with the cops. It sucks, but they are really popular stars. This shit happens and I know we work for them and they are our friends, but I don’t know. I feel like the police should be paying more attention to people getting raped and murdered than if someone came on someone else’s property and started taking pictures.”

 

I laugh a little bit, “Don’t tell Justin that.”

 

“Whatever, I really don’t care what he thinks of me anymore. As long as he keeps out of my way I’m fine.” I can tell that in her voice she’s lying. I can tell that she puts up this front that she doesn’t give two shits what people think about her.

 

The truth is she cares, she really cares and the thing that eats her up inside is when people don’t like her and when people are mean and rude to her. She wants approval so bad, and I wanna give that to her. I just, I don’t know if the approval she wants is more than just friendship and the knowledge that someone else finds her attractive and fun and a good person. I can’t give her the satisfaction of dating or hell, falling in love with her.

 

I’m not ready for that. And maybe that’s a cop out and maybe that’s me being pathetic, but it’s the truth.

 

I’m more fucked up about Elisha than people realize, sometimes more than I even realize.

 

“That’s not gonna happen. You know that, right? We’re going on tour. You’re gonna be stuck with him, probably alone at some point. It’s just gonna happen, and you need to deal with it and get over it.”

 

“I think he’s the one that needs to get over it and his hate for me.”

 

“He doesn’t hate you.” She glares at me. “Ok, so he’s just a little weird sometimes, ok?”

 

She nudges me, but there isn’t a smile on her face. “So are you.”

 

“We’re all fucking freaks Courtney. Me, you, Megan, you’ve never seen Tiny when Diana Ross starts to sing but it’s scary, and Meredith’s pretty freakish, too.”

 

It’s quiet again and she takes in the last bit of the cigarette and then stubs it out on the brick steps. “You think her and Justin will last?”

 

I stare off at the road. This is a nice neighborhood, quiet. The houses are huge, but most of the front yards are open and big, perfect for families. It’s too suburban for me, but man, when I have a family I want the biggest fucking yard. I bet Courtney would want her kids growing up some place cosmopolitan in a condo or something. Hell, I bet she doesn’t even want kids. It doesn’t fucking matter anyway. I sometimes wonder if Meredith is the one for Justin. Eh, who knows? Probably, but he’ll probably get chicken and run her off.

 

‘The one’…I crack myself up.

 

No one has just ‘one’ person they are meant to be with. Hell, I thought, no…no, I knew Elisha was the one. Clearly she didn’t think the same way in return. So now I have to go try and find out if I’m doomed to be alone or if there is a ‘two’, a second in line to the ‘one’. I feel like I’m back in high school when you claim you are in love with someone and you really think you know what it is and what it means to be in love and then you break up and you realize you’re an immature idiot whose only connection with the girl was that she was a friend with you who liked eating pizza and was hot and had soft boobs.

 

With Elisha it was so much more than high school love. I was fucking in love with her. Hell, she taught me what love really was.

 

At least I thought. And now, now I’m back to feeling like I was in high school, but I don’t laugh at my immaturity now, ‘cause I wasn’t immature. Fuck, for the first time in my god damn life I was ready to be mature with someone and settle down and start a life, a life with someone else, a non-selfish life.

 

I was wrong.

 

I clear my throat, “I don’t know. It’s hard to say. I think she wants it to last, but I don’t get to talk to her that much really and when I do we just shit around. But I mean, I know Justin loves her and he thinks about her and cares about her more than any other girl he’s dated in a long, long time. Last time he was serious with a girl he was an immature brat so I don’t know, maybe this is really serious.”

 

“Right…”

 

“Anyway…” This conversation is starting to freak me out. I don’t want to talk to her about Justin, and I don’t want to talk to her about a relationship lasting. I change the subject quickly, maybe a little awkwardly but it’s successful. “What did Angie have to say?”

 

“Was calm at first, but the more I told her about what happened the more she started to freak out.”

 

I don’t have any qualms with Mere’s manager. It really has nothing to do with me, but lately this chick seems to be getting in over her head. Maybe Johnny should talk to her. I probably should have told him to give her a call when I talked to him a little bit ago.

 

I should stay out of it. “Do you like her?”

 

“She’s alright, I guess. She reminds me a lot of myself, but I don’t know. I don’t know if that is a good thing. She puts on this air like she knows what she’s doing, but sometimes I get this feeling like everything is a little bit out of control and out of her hands and she’s just trying to direct this mob of chaos so it doesn’t get too out of hand.”

 

I laugh and nudge her with my elbow. “I’m telling Mere you called her a mob of chaos.”

 

“Ooo I’m scared.” She laughs at me, looks at me for a moment and then quickly looks in front of her.

 

“Nah, I can see that. Johnny’s not like that, but Johnny’s been in this business for fucking forever. He was concerned, but this shit has happened before so whatever. That’s the cool thing about Johnny. Even with the shit hits the fan he stays real cool and never looks at anything in a super negative light. There’s always a positive somewhere.”

 

“I honestly think Mere needs someone more like that. I’m not saying Angie is bad at her job, but I don’t know. Meredith’s not just singing at malls and random state fairs any more. She’s big shot celebrity and I don’t know if Angie can handle that.”

 

I lean in a bit and say to her, “Can you handle it?

 

She shrugs. I meant it as a joke but she’s got a serious look on her face, and when she turns to look at me this time she doesn’t look away shyly, or scared. She stares right at me. “I don’t know, what do you think?”

 

I smile at her, trying to ease whatever worries are on her mind, worries that I probably caused. “You did a fucking fantastic job tonight.”

 

“What?”

 

“You handled it better than I did. I wanted to punch the guy in the face tonight, but you were smart, you got the girls inside, called the cops, didn’t waste any time and didn’t have to be told what to do. I’m proud of you.”

 

“Aww thanks…” She says sarcastically. “And I’m proud of you for holding back your rabid best friend and containing the urge to punch the guy. I really didn’t feel like having to go and bail your ass out of jail tonight.”

 

“You’d bail me out?”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe. I’d leave Justin in there though.”

 

I laugh with her. “He probably needs it. I’m glad he’s in there now,” I say nodding back to the house. “And I hope he’s chilling out and not flipping.”

 

“Sometimes I feel like a damn zookeeper with those two.”

 

“You like it though?”

 

“Yeah, actually. I mean it’s a hell of a lot more stressful than I thought it would be, like tonight, or like having to deal with her boyfriend that can’t stand me or…or having all this other drama with…” She stops short, sucks in a sharp breath, glances at me and starts to cough.

 

“With…”

 

She shrugs and continues on like she didn’t just ramble herself into a corner. “I like it. But it’s harder than I thought it would be and I’m not sure if it’s something I’d want to do for years and years.”

 

I can’t let her go that easy. We need to get over this. I need to know where we stand. If we still stand. It’s eating me up inside and it’s clearly fucking with her mind as well. “What other drama, Court…”

 

“Trace…” I turn to fully look at her and reach over to take her hands in mine, trying to get her to look back at me. I want to shake her, kiss her, something, something other than this awkward shit we’ve been dealing with all night.

 

But I don’t get the chance. Teddy and Tiny plod up through the front yard and stand before us annoyed and tired.

 

“We didn’t find anything but her neighbor’s sprinkler system.” Tiny glares at me, his jeans look a little wet and I know he’s pissed off about his soaked and grass stained sneakers.

 

“Oh my God…” Courtney says and covers her mouth so she doesn’t laugh.

 

“It’s ok, it’s just a bit of water.” Teddy says laughing in an embarrassed fashion.

 

“I would have paid to see that.”

 

Tiny glares some more. I know he’s not happy about tonight. I know he’s pissed off they didn’t get the guy and I know he’s pissed he wasn’t here to be able to do something about it. He can get kind of protective like that. “Shut up midget…”

 

Courtney nods to the door behind us and says, “I think Megan was making some dinner if you guys wanna go in and grab something.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

They both step in between us and I watch them go back into the house. The door shuts and the outdoor light is flicked on. I turn back and look at her and she’s staring out in front of us into the yard, a concerned look on her face. I can see her face a lot better now in the light and hadn’t really realized until now how dark it had got outside.

 

“Court…”

 

“We should probably-”

 

I shut her off. I interrupt her. I’m fucking tired of this. I can’t stand it anymore. “I’m sorry.”

 

I try to reach over and touch her hand or something and she pulls away from me like I’m disgusting. The sadness and disappointment that’s been in her face all night goes away with that one moment and the bitter woman emerges. She glares right at me, her mouth turned into a tight frown. “Little late, don’t you think?”

 

“I’m an asshole.”

 

“Yes, but that doesn’t really make it better does it?”

 

She’s got me there and I don’t know what to do. It’s quiet again and it feels like forever like we’re just sitting here. I feel like it’s not right after twilight any more, but that it’s right before dawn and we’ve been sitting out here all night just waiting, waiting for one of us to get up and say that whatever we are, whatever we were is over, finished.

 

But it’s really only a few seconds that pass by, and the more they tick away the more insane I start to feel. I’m tired of this. I’m annoyed with this and I can’t stand us fighting like this.

 

“I’m scared, alright?”

 

I suck in a deep breath. That wasn’t how this was supposed to happen. I wasn’t supposed to blurt that out. I was supposed to say something charming and cute and get her to smile and be happy.

 

Fuck. I’m a moron.

 

“Scared?”

 

I run my hands over my head and hold onto my neck, staring down at my sneakers. What the hell was I thinking?

 

“I don’t know, I just. I mean care about you, ok?” Shit that wasn’t supposed to come out either. “Like you’re a good friend and I enjoy it when we’re together, but I just don’t know if I can give you what you are asking for.”

 

“And what exactly am I asking for?”

 

I sit up a bit straighter and look at her, “Come on Court…”

 

“I never said I wanted you to be my boyfriend.”

 

I shrug and feel like every word I say is lowering my IQ. A woman hasn’t made me feel this pathetic and dumb in a long, long time. I mean, that’s not really fair ‘cause it’s not really her making me feel that way. I’m bringing this all on myself.

 

“Well you kind of acted like it.” Now I’m pouting. Maybe I really am immature.

 

“How? By thinking you had more balls and would stick up to your friend and tell him that we’re…whatever we are. I don’t expect flowers or anything like that. I don’t expect you to call me up just to talk. But I don’t want you to deny my existence. You act like I’m the one who can’t handle being friends with benefits, like I’m the one who always wants more. All I want is for you not to be ashamed of me and not care so damn much about what your best friend thinks about us.”

 

I suck in a deep breath. I’m worse than I thought I was. Ya know, I think I’m starting to figure this out.

 

Court and I are made for each other. We’re fucking perfect. But it’s just not the right time. It’s just…it’s just bad timing. And it sucks, but that’s life. So we both have to get over it. That’s it, just take it for what it’s worth and then move on. Right.

 

“I’m not ashamed of you.”

 

“Then why couldn’t you just tell him? Why couldn’t you just tell him that yeah, we hang out and it’s nothing serious but we’re friends and that he needs to get over that?”

 

I rub my face roughly with my hands. I really gotta stop trying to rationalize everything. “I…I don’t know. I guess I just didn’t want him lecturing me like he always does.”

 

“Lecturing? That doesn’t sound too friendly.”

 

“Look, Elisha really fucked me over and ever since he’s taken it upon himself to make me all better.”

 

“How nice.”

 

Now she’s getting a chiding tone in her voice. It’s annoying me, this whole situation is, this whole night, the fact that we’ve been like this for the past two days, the fact that I fucked up, that she won’t really tell me what she wants, that…that I don’t know what I want. It’s just too much. I’m not ready for this drama or this commitment. I’m not.

 

“I’m serious Court. I did it for him in the past and I know he feels like he owes me one. I’m a lot stronger than Justin in a lot of ways. I mean, yeah, I was fucked up after she ditched me, but I didn’t get depressed. I was sad and pissed off, but I wasn’t like…mentally fucked up where I wouldn’t leave the house for…for a month or two.”

 

“He did that?”

 

I didn’t think she’d catch on to what I meant, but she did. But still…she has no idea. No one does. He acts like it was a bad time and he got over it and went partying, but I know a different story. I know a story that I’m not even sure he knows. He was fucked up, he was seriously depressed and, and if it lasted much longer I was ready to talk to him about getting professional help. I laugh at myself. Like that would really do anything. Like he would even willingly walk right into a doctor’s office to talk about his problems. “It was bad, that’s all that matters. And…ok so he doesn’t really like you so he’s trying to protect me or something. I don’t know. I guess that’s kind of gay.”

 

“I just…” She sighs, “Wish I knew what it was he thought so bad about me.”

 

I have to wonder why she cares. I mean, I know she really wants people to like her, some mental thing I’m trying to figure out in my mind, but this is Justin. Get over it. She’s always dwelling on it. I wonder if she likes him, like ya know….No. No she can’t stand him. “Nothing, there’s nothing. Justin’s just…he needs someone to blame for his fuck ups.”

 

“Oh and I guess one day I volunteered?”

 

“He volunteered you and it’s not fair and…” I swallow the lump in my throat. “And I’ll talk to him about that.”

 

She rolls her eyes at me. “Like you were gonna talk to him after he came down on me in the limo after the awards?”

 

“What?”

 

“You never did, did you?”

 

I bite my lip. Just great. I keep digging myself into a deeper and deeper hole, a fucking grave. “I meant to.”

 

She crosses her arms over her chest. “You’re a fucking pussy, Trace. You’re so fucking terrified of your best friend. If he really is your best friend, he’s not gonna push you away or hate you for being with me. He might not like it, but if he’s a real friend he should get over it.”

 

“I guess.” I shrug.

 

“Wow, this is making me not really like him at all.”

 

“Look, he’s not a bad guy. He’d…he’d probably do that. I just…I’m a fucking pussy, you’re right.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because….” I shrug. I don’t know what else to tell her, what else I can say to make this better, to make her forgive me and forget Justin. “Because you’re the first girl I’ve been with since Elisha.”

 

“That excuse is starting to run thin.”

 

“Sorry.”

 

It’s quiet again and this time I seriously think about pushing myself up and going inside and forgetting all about Courtney Dawson. I put my hands on either side of me and get ready to stand up, but she stops me by saying, “I don’t want us fighting, Trace. I’ve grown to like you and like being around you. You make me at ease and I really need that and I need your friendship on this tour. I don’t want us fighting, but don’t expect me to just run to you for sex or think you can seduce me easily anymore. It’s not gonna happen again. It can’t.”

 

I don’t know what else to say, so all I say is, “Right.” I’m afraid the more I talk the more trouble I’m gonna get myself into. I guess a part of me is a little disappointed that the whole benefits thing is over, but I know that’s for the best. I know if we can just be friends and get over all this mess it’ll be better for the both of us and for everyone else around us.

 

“And if you deny me or act like you are ashamed of me or that you’re embarrassed to be near me or know me then that’s it. Don’t expect me to even acknowledge you. If you are embarrassed to be near me I can make that really easy for you.”

 

I touch her hand and she doesn’t pull away. “I’m not embarrassed Courtney.”

 

“You sure about that?” Her hand is snatched away again and she crosses her arms over her chest and she bends forward a bit as a stark breeze comes by.

 

“Yeah. I mean, why would I be?” She rolls her eyes but her face looks sad and I scoot closer to her and smile at her. I realize now that with Courtney, maybe the reason she wants people to like her is because she doesn’t have that much self confidence. She always seemed like she had it so put together to me, but now I’m figuring out she’s…she’s hurt, maybe worse than I thought, and I just wish I knew why or what or…or who made her feel like she wasn’t worth anything.

 

Maybe I’m part of it. Maybe I’m just another number on a list of assholes who’s treated her like shit.

 

“You’re hot and you’re smart and sexy.”

 

“I am?” It’s not said in that normal voice. It’s not that compliment thirsty tone a lot of women use.

 

She’s seriously asking me. Shit, she has no idea how incredible she is. And I want to show her. I want her to know that she’s not just something for men to use, that…that I’m not just another number on a list. I’m pathetic. She won’t even give me the chance, she shouldn’t, and if she did she’d be a fool ‘cause I know I’ll just fuck up again.

 

And again.

 

I deserve to be nothing more than a number on a list.

 

Shit, maybe I have self esteem issues, too. This night sucks.

 

“Oh puhlease, girl. Are you serious?” I say, trying to lighten the mood. I nudge her again and she cracks a small smile that makes me feel like I might burst inside. Finally, she seems semi-happy. I let out a deep breath, letting all this negativity out with it. Maybe we’re starting to get at a good place where we aren’t arguing or annoyed every second. “So we can still hang out?”

 

“Just don’t even think about putting the moves on me.”

 

“I won’t. I’ll let all that be your call…” She’s not smiling anymore and I add, “as long as you can restrain yourself around me.”

 

At first I think she’s going to smack me, but she just laughs and covers her face, chuckling into her hand. “You’re pathetic.”

 

I really am. But it’s ok. It’s ok as long as she’s not pissed at me and as long as I got another chance.

 

I don’t know what I’m going to do and I don’t know how I’m gonna balance making her happy, not going too fast and not fucking myself up in the head, but I gotta figure that out. Somehow I will. I have to.

 

“Come on…” I push myself up and hold out my hands to her. She just looks up at me. “Let’s go inside. It’s getting cold out here.” She smiles softly and puts her hands in mine and I know that when I pull her up and open the door for her, hearing Teddy and Tiny laughing, Megan yelling about something animatedly and the TV blaring that things are gonna be ok. I don’t know what we are. I know we’re more than friends and I know I care about her, but I gotta let her dictate this from now on and I gotta control myself.

 

I have to control myself if I want any chance of getting over Elisha and figuring out if what Courtney and I have is just friendship mixed with attraction or something much, much more.
Chapter 25 by Mere

Meredith’s kitchen, 9:45 p.m.

 

I promise I’m not freaking out. I’m ok, really I am. I have to be. Plus, this is just one of the downsides of being a singer. This stuff happens and there’s no point dwelling on it. Just pick up, move on and get over it. It’s not like they hurt anyone. I mean, maybe they got Justin riled up but it’s ok. He’s over it now. I’m over it.

 

The water is way too hot coming from the faucet and I smack the handle down, sigh and look over at Justin. He’s still sitting at the kitchen table. He’s still staring at me. He’s been quiet all night. He hasn’t really talked to me. I guess it’s hard to when someone’s got themselves in their room, in their bed, under the covers. I guess that was kind of a stupid thing to do, immature or something. But I just, I wanted to feel safe and closed off and he was pacing and I told Megan I wanted to be alone so she just started watching TV. But I really didn’t want to be alone. I wanted him with me.

 

I wanted to tell him how much that scared me, but he seemed to be so frustrated and angry. I didn’t want to make him worry any more. Plus it’s stupid for me to be scared. This stuff happens. Crying about it in bed isn’t going to make any difference. I’m supposed to just suck it up and handle it and put on a smile and act like nothing’s bothering me. It shouldn’t bother me. They were just doing their job, right?

 

But it does bother me. I don’t mind it when I’m out doing work, or even when I go shopping. It’s awkward and unsettling sometimes, especially if I’m having a crappy day or know I look like shit. But…but this is different. They aren’t supposed to get this close, they aren’t supposed to be able to get me here. And the fact that Justin got so worked up… I know, I know he did ‘cause I saw him through my bedroom window and I could hear him yelling at the guy and getting in his face. It scared me a little. I thought, I always thought Justin was one of those guys that always kept himself in check, who could always keep his cool and knew how to handle situations. But now I’m finding out that he’s…sometimes he’s like this time bomb and I’m afraid that the slightest thing is going to set him off. I don’t want to set him off.

 

And I wonder if maybe, maybe the fact that I’ve been mean to him lately, ya know putting restrictions on him and teasing him about everything that’s happened between him and Courtney and Courtney and Trace, maybe that’s gotten to him. Maybe I helped fuel all that anger. Maybe he’s just freaked out like I am and instead of running in a bedroom and covering up underneath the sheets and comforter, he gets mad and paces and yells and bites his nails like he’s doing right now.

 

He really needs to stop that.

 

“You wanna help me?” I ask quietly, hearing everyone else bust out in laughter at some movie they are watching in the den. Megan made some pasta casserole thing tonight but I wasn’t really hungry and just had a banana and sat in my room by myself and sorted some laundry that really didn’t need to be sorted yet. I offered to clean up the dishes even though Megan told me she would do it. I just needed something to do. I needed something to occupy my mind.

 

Sure I could just rinse them off and put them in the dishwasher, but…but hand washing takes a lot longer.

 

I turn the water back on, this time to lukewarm. I rinse off one plate and pick up the sponge and look over my shoulder.

 

He’s still just staring at me.

 

“Can’t talk?” I smile at him, turn back around and my smile fades. I look out of the window in front of me and quickly reach up with wet, soapy hands and pull down the blinds. You…you just never know.

 

The plates and cups shift in the sink, making a loud plop noise and sloshing some water around. I jump and try not to let it be noticeable that I just freaked myself out beyond reason. I take a breath and stare down at the murky, sud-filled water. Why the hell am I doing this?

 

“Mere…”

 

I lick my lips and reach down in the water looking for my dropped sponge. The water is hot and burns my arms. I pull up the stopper. They’ve soaked for a while now. I can’t find my sponge, though.

 

“Mere…”

 

“Huh?” There it is. I grab it and pull it out, squeezing it hard and wishing all my insecurities and this shit that’s on my mind would squeeze out, too.

 

I drop the fucking sponge again and smack my hand against the counter, getting it wet. Great, just fucking great. It’s like this night was just set against me. And we were supposed to be celebrating the fact that I went gold in my first week. We were supposed to be drinking and having good food and having a great night and I…I was going to tease Justin and have a good time with him and laugh and make him happy and get him to flirt with me and…and it was going to be perfect, one of the last nights like this before tour. Next week he has a lot of promo and then after that we start touring and I didn’t even get to celebrate anything the way I wanted to. All I wanted was a night out. A simple, fun night out.

 

And it’s ruined. And now I can’t even fucking wash the dishes without problems.

 

I take a deep breath and open my eyes wide, hoping the tears that are threatening will get sucked back in magically or something. It doesn’t work and I raise my arm to blot them against the dry part of my arm before they fall. I’m such a fucking pathetic, little baby. Such a little girl, always crying over random stupid things.

 

“Mere, will you please stop that and come here?” I swallow the lump that’s in my throat and try not to acknowledge the worry in his voice, the concern, the pleading. I look over my shoulder real quickly and, and I find myself staring back at him. I dry my hands quickly and I walk over to him. When he came in here several minutes ago he pulled the chair out from the kitchen table so he could sit in it but wasn’t necessarily underneath the table. He reaches up and takes my hand. “Will you sit?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

I turn to get a chair but he pulls me down into his lap instead and pulls me hard against him, burying his face against my shoulder and kissing the skin there that’s exposed by my strapless shirt. I should have changed back into comfy clothes, but I’m still in my outfit for going out. I took my shoes off though. “That’s better.”

 

“Justin…” It feels like heaven having him hold me. This, this is what I’ve been needing but his knees are poking into the left side of my ass and it’s not really comfortable to sit like this with him leaning a lot of his weight against my torso.

 

He pulls back a bit and stares at me, but there’s not a smile on his face and I’d give anything to see that. His blue eyes are watery and tired. “Let’s just sit like this for a second.”

 

“Your knees are bony.”

 

“Oh…”

 

I smile at him and stand off him again, “Here…” I resituate myself so I’m leaning against him and he’s leaning back against the chair and I’m straddling his lap. I know that’s probably a really bold thing to do but it’s not like it’s sexual. I just, if he wants to hold me, I want him to really hold me and I want to be comfortable and I want to be able to rest against him and feel his body against mine. I wrap my arms around his neck and lean my head against his shoulder. I sigh and feel the muscles in his shoulders relax. I feel him breathe out a deeply against my neck and I feel his lips kiss me there softly. His hands run slowly against my back and I hold him tightly, my feet resting on the rungs underneath the chair, staring at my pruned fingers. This…this is much better.

 

I guess it’s kind of stupid that some stupid photographers can make us so needy of each other. But maybe, maybe it’s more than that. Maybe there’s other stuff going on with him that I don’t know about and…and maybe I’m kind of ignoring how much tonight freaked me out.

 

He slouches a bit and pulls back, looking up at me. “Hey…” I try to smile at him but it doesn’t work. His hand runs through my hair and he holds it there against the side of my head. “Are you ok?”

 

“I’m fine.” I’m not. And I know he knows I’m full of shit.

 

“Dammit Meredith, don’t lie to me about it.”

 

“I’m not.”

 

“Then why have you been in a zombie state all night?”

 

I can’t look at him and let him know how much tonight has completely fucked up my mind. Plus, it’s not like I’m the only one that was affected here. It’s not like I’m some fragile child. He was the one acting weird, too. And I call him on it. I don’t like it when people fuss over me about this kind of thing. I can deal with problems like this on my own. I don’t want him to try to decipher all my thoughts ‘cause then he’ll realize how much this is getting to me and then he’ll probably think I’m naïve or something. “I’ve just got stuff on my mind. Don’t even talk about it to me, you’re the one that blew up.”

 

“Cause, cause they were saying horrible shit about us, about you. And this...this is supposed to be the one place they can’t get you. This is your home Meredith.”

 

“I fucking know that, ok?” I pull back and slouch, still straddling him but not leaning against him any more. I run my hands through my hair and he pulls his hands and arms behind his head and just stares at me with those crystal, perfect blue eyes and shakes his head.

 

“Please…please don’t do this. Don’t get mad at me. Get mad and angry and upset but don’t do this.”

 

“I’m sorry I just…” I lean back against him like a dead weight. I don’t put my arms around him but he brings his down around my back and holds me there firmly. “I’m fine really.”

 

“No you aren’t. Damn girl…” I feel him kiss my head and then lean to say softly into my ear. “You can let it out on me.”

 

“There’s nothing to let out Justin. Stop pushing me to feel something…”

 

He shuts up and I probably shouldn’t be so moody with him but I just, I can’t handle this right now. I don’t wanna talk and I don’t wanna figure this out. I just want to sit here with him and pretend like I’m ok. This is better, quiet with him is better. Justin sitting here against me is better. I’m ridiculous. I just, I don’t know what else to do. I don’t know what the fuck to do.

 

I’m probably just overreacting. I mean, so what? It wasn’t like they were murderers or something. It wasn’t like they hit me or threw something at me or anything like that. They just took some footage and some pictures and talked shit. Big deal.

 

But…but this is my house.

 

I put my arms around him and sigh. I want this feeling to go away, this awkward almost embarrassed feeling to go away. I don’t know why it’s there and I don’t know what my problem is. I feel like a mess, not just about tonight but about the past week, about ever since I left him in Tennessee. I was ok in New York without him. I called him all the time and he called me and we had fun playing phone tag and leaving silly messages and stuff, but I still didn’t feel right. And then all that stuff happened at the awards and ever since then, I don’t know. It’s like I’ve been disappointed, not in him, not in our relationship, I guess just I know that something’s off. We bonded so much in Tennessee, we got really close, and it wasn’t just because we had sex, even though that was a big factor. I was with his family and it wasn’t stressful and I didn’t have to be on my toes hoping I didn’t fuck up. It was natural like I belonged there. And ever since its like a week will go by and I feel like we’re getting closer, getting back to how we were, and then something happens, whether it’s his fault or my fault or some random thing like tonight.

 

And I have to wonder how tonight would be different if he wasn’t here, if I was by myself or with Megan. Would I be as freaked out? Probably. I mean, it’s a good thing he was here to handle it, well he didn’t really handle it. I guess it was a good thing Court and Trace were here.

 

He kisses my neck and sighs against me again. His hands are now up my shirt, pressing his fingers into my lower back and making me groan slightly. Maybe that will solve all my problems, a nice long massage.

 

“Whoa sorry…” My head shoots up at the sound and I almost knock my head against Justin’s. It’s just Megan, coming in, covering her eyes and dramatically trying to feel her way to the fridge.

 

I laugh just a bit. I’m so glad she’s here. I hate that she got drug into this tonight, but glad she’s here to figure out a way to get me to smile and forget everything that’s happened. “We’re just sitting. It’s fine. What’s up?”

 

“Nothing, just getting something to drink.” I watch her turn to open the fridge and she pulls out a bottle of water, turns around, letting the door close back on its own. She stares right at me and I can almost predict her words, “You ok?”

 

“Yes, dammit.” It pisses me off. And I’m a horrible friend and a horrible bitch but I glare at her, push myself off of Justin and go back to my dishes in the sink. I pick up the green sponge and start scrubbing furiously, trying to even scrub the fucking print off the plate. “I’m fucking fine,” I mumble to myself, turning the water to ice cold so I can rinse off the plate. That temperature is almost as bad as the hot from before.

 

I hear her say, “Ohh kay…” in a slow voice and walk out of the room.

 

I hate myself and I hate the way I act and that just pisses me off even more.

 

“Mere…”

 

I don’t want him to come over here and tell me that was wrong and that I’m a horrible friend and girlfriend. I just want to be alone. “Leave me alone.”

 

“No way.” His front is soon against my back and he’s putting his arms around me, forcing me to let go of the plate, forcing me to lean back against him. And I don’t mind. The anger fades into worry and then into disappointment and a bit of fear.

 

He holds me while I rinse off my hands, blot them on the towel and then finally I’m able to turn around and burry myself in the front of his chest. He smells so good and looks so good tonight and I just want to live inside of him and block out the world. “They…” I sigh and look up at him. “They weren’t supposed to be able to get to me.”

 

He runs his hand over my head, kisses my forehead and looks down into my eyes, holding onto my neck with one hand. “I know, I know girl. They got to me, too. They knew exactly what to say. It’s like someone had coached them.”

 

“Don’t say that.” I look back down at his chest and press my cheek against it, holding him tightly. “I just. I’m supposed to be able to handle this. I’m supposed to be ok with it and just smile or hide my face or whatever. We should have just gotten in the car and left.”

 

“We probably should have done a lot of things differently. Hell, I know I should have. I was about to beat up the guy because of the shit he was saying about you.” His fingers running through my hair feel good and suddenly it starts to get better. Even though I’m still worried and we’re still talking about it and I’m still a little scared, it starts to not be so bad any more. We’re here and we’re ok and we’re together.

 

“And…and tonight was supposed to be really special. I mean my best friend is here and we were all gonna go out and have a great time and, and I was going to go out with you and I love going out with you. This was my night, our night and it was fucking ruined because, because of those assholes. And it shouldn’t have been. We should have just brushed them aside but, but we didn’t and…”

 

“Shh.” I don’t realize until after he has shushed me that my heart is starting to beat fast and my voice is getting that panicky tone, but I can’t stop because I have more to say, more to tell him.

 

I look up at him and feel myself about to cry when I say, “They scared me really bad.” I pull away a bit and wipe at my eyes. I wish I wasn’t such a baby about everything. “I hate admitting that ‘cause I feel like a child. And I know Courtney doesn’t get it and Teddy is just so happy go lucky with every fucking thing and, and Megan doesn’t understand. I mean she does because of all that Leah shit, but she’s just got a back bone made of metal and nothing can ever bring her down. And I think Trace has got all this other shit on his mind and then there’s you…”

 

His hands cup my face and he bends down and says to me, “It’s not childish, Mere. I get it. I really do and I completely know how you feel. You freak out and you feel pathetic because everyone else is like just forget about it and move on. But we have to live with it every fucking day and it’s like what’s next, ya know?”

 

“I mean, what if they’ve been here before with me and you here and the blinds were open and they saw us and…”

 

“Shh…” He pulls me back into a tight hug. “I don’t even know if they really knew what they were doing. Somehow they got in, but I doubt the security here is gonna let that happen again. And if you don’t feel comfortable we’ll get you a new place or you can stay with me…”

 

I roll my eyes and scoff. “Yeah right…” I know Justin doesn’t want to live with his girlfriend. I know that’s something he’s done before and he thinks its one of the causes of the deterioration of it. I know he thinks that’s something you should save for marriage or when you’re ready to give that kind of commitment. He would never want to live with me. Well, at least not anytime soon.

 

“I’d do anything for you Mere. You know that, right?”

 

It’s not that I don’t doubt him, it’s just…I feel like he’s saying things just to try to make me smile. I know I’m a little more into this relationship than he is, but at the same time I know he loves me and, and I know that his problems with us and how close we are and all of his fears, I...I know deep down that really has very little to do with me. But I don’t want him to lie to me. I don’t know, sometimes it’s weird. Sometimes I feel like we’re so in love and completely untouchable and then other times I feel like I’m having to drag him along like an eight year old who doesn’t want to go shopping.

 

I change the subject quickly because I don’t want him making any more promises that’s he’s not positive to keep. “I’m sorry I’ve been mean to you.”

 

“I’ve deserved it. I really have.”

 

I shrug and pull back a bit to lean against the counter. “It just seems so pathetic and trite now. I mean, we got in a fight. It’s ok though, I’ll get over it and here all this shit happens and I should have just… I don’t know, maybe if I hadn’t been so bitchy to you, you…”

 

He interrupts me. “I would have been just as upset about all this Mere. Stop making this your fault. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

 

I look away from him and cross my arms. “I just don’t understand how they got into the neighborhood.”

 

“Ok…” He moves and leans beside me on the counter, mirroring my position, even with his arms folded over his chest. “We’re both going to have to chill out and get past this.”

 

“You’re right. I guess Teddy and Tiny did do a search and they’re here and they won’t let anything happen to us.”

 

He nudges me and smiles, “Maybe we should just get drunk and pass out and forget about it.”

 

“Maybe…” I roll my eyes but he’s got this cheesy smile on his face, and it makes me crack a grin myself. I love how he can do that for me. “You just want to get me drunk…”

 

He’s on me faster than I can think, arms around me, lips against my neck, smiling into my skin and whispering, “You’re kinky when you’re drunk.”

 

“Hey!” I smack at his shoulder but then he starts to laugh and tickles my sides, and I squeal at him and smack him some more and before I know it I’m kissing him, arms around his neck, leaning into him and sighing. I pull away and say, “I need this. I needed that. I need to just be with you and forget about all this shit.”

 

He keeps his arms around me. “We shouldn’t just push it away and forget about it, especially if it’s really bothering you.”

 

“You know what I mean. I just don’t want this to ruin any more of our night.”

 

He gives me a half grin, “I know what you mean.”

 

I look into his face and his eyes and I wonder if he knows what I’m trying to say. I want to be with him tonight, in every meaning of the term. I don’t care about fighting or what happened tonight. I need him and I hope he knows that. I lean into him a little more and lick my lips. “Do you?”

 

His mouth opens just for a moment, a little shocked looked that quickly morphs into a bright smile. “Does this mean I’m out of the doghouse?”

 

I kiss him for his answer. I kiss him hard and he moans against me and it makes me feel so good. It’s probably silly that being sexual with him or whatever it is, is the cure for everything with us, but I don’t really think that’s a bad thing. It’s a connection and it’s a deep feeling. I mean, I can’t really vouch for him, but when I get like this, part of it is just this instinct or this sexual attraction, or desire that’s hard to ignore but, but a lot of it is more than that. It’s about being close to him, being in love with him, being silly with him and, and I don’t know. It’s more than just plain old sex.

 

It’s so much more.

 

“I love you.” He breathes out to me when I pull away.

 

I smile at him and kiss him quickly once more. “I love you…”

 

It takes one moment and one look and one small smile and we’ve both forgotten about the dishes, forgotten about the fight and are holding hands, him walking behind me into the den area. There’s that 40 Year Old Virgin movie playing and it’s the only thing that’s providing light in the room. Megan’s sprawled on the floor, Tiny and Teddy are on my big couch, taking up most of the space on it and Courtney and Trace are trying to not look so obvious on the smaller couch. They’re so cute, and it seems that they’ve worked out their problems. I can’t really tell. It’s not like they’re leaning on each other or anything. But I know if they were fighting, Courtney wouldn’t be anywhere near him.

 

I let go of Justin’s hand and go and sit down beside Teddy, hugging him, annoying him and curling up to him. “Hey T…”

 

He ignores me and stuffs some popcorn into his mouth. When the hell did they make popcorn? “You want me to stay tonight?” He asks, not looking away from the screen.

 

I pull back from him and sigh. I know he probably had plans with his girl tonight and I completely ruined them. I’m selfish and I want him to stay here ‘cause I’ll feel better and safer, but I guess it’s not really fair to him. “No, it’s ok. You probably had plans tonight anyway.”

 

He looks at me and smiles, “I’m stayin’.”

 

This is why I love this guy. “Thanks. You really don’t-“

 

“Shut up. I’m trying to watch the movie.”

 

I laugh at him, smack his broad shoulder and get up. No one else is paying attention to me, and Megan hasn’t looked at me which means she’s pissed, which means in the morning I need to play damage control. I know it’ll only take a few minutes and an apology. That’s the thing about Megan, as long as I apologize she’s ok. I’m the same way with her. Sure, we fight, but we don’t let it take over our friendship.

 

Well, I guess she could be asleep on the floor. That girl can sleep anywhere.

 

Justin’s still just standing there against the entranceway to my den from the kitchen and I smile at him and grab his hand again and pull him down the hallway towards my bedroom. It gets dark in the hallway quickly and when we get close to my door I grab him, kiss him and pull away saying, “I kind of want to take a bath.”

 

“Ok…” He nods and pulls my door open for me.

 

He follows me through my bedroom into the bathroom and sits up on my counter while I turn the water on. Once the temperature is right I turn to look at him, letting the tub fill up. He’s still on my counter, reading the back of one of my lotion bottles. I look into the basket I have beside my tub and pull out my favorite bubble bath. It’s this stuff my momma sent me, nothing too fancy but it has the best smell. If I had thought about it I would have lit some of the candles I have in here, but I’m not really concerned with that right now.

 

I grin at him and squeeze some liquid into the running water. “Do you mind girly bubbles?”

 

His eyebrows raise and he stands up off the counter, setting the lotion back where he found it, and coming closer to me, “Does that mean this is a bath for two?”

 

I turn the bottle upside down and close the top, putting it back in the basket and then turning and pulling him against me. “I need to be with you tonight.”

 

I lean in to kiss him, but he says to me before I get the chance, “Are you sure, Mere? Shit happened tonight but that doesn’t mean you have to push back or throw away what I did. I’ve been kind of pathetic and…”

 

“Would you shut up?” I say and smile at him. “I don’t wanna think about it. And maybe I am pushing it away but…but, fuck Justin…” I pull my arms down over his chest and feel his muscle underneath his shirt with my hands. Man, I wanna feel his body next to mine with nothing in between, nothing holding us back. I wanna touch his skin so bad. “Tonight fucked with my head. That’s not supposed to happen. I’m supposed to just deal with it but I can’t right now. And I don’t want to think about what’s happened this past week or anything. And…and I need to be with you ‘cause, ‘cause you’re something solid in my life and it’ll…it’ll make me feel right again.”

 

He puts his arms around me and grabs onto my ass, pulling me flush against him. “You make me feel right.”

 

We kiss and its slow and warm and he lets our tongues play passionately, attacking me almost. But I like it. I pull away and work on the buttons of his shirt. He needs to start wearing shirts with snaps, or without buttons or something. “It’s been too long…” I say in a rushed tone. “What the hell was I thinking keeping myself from you? We just started, we just started having sex and then I take it away from us. And it was so good Justin. It was really good.”

 

He pulls his shirt off the rest of the way and I tug mine over my head and throw it towards the door. “Especially in the shower.” He winks at me.

 

Shit, thinking about when he did me in the shower with the water and his hands all over me and his hips thrusting so damn slow… fuck. He’s evil. “Oh my god…lets get in or we’ll never make it.”

 

He laughs at me and we finish undressing ourselves quickly and quietly. My hair is pulled back tightly on top of my head and I only stop my frantic movements when my clothes are gone and the water needs to be shut off. We end up staring at each other like teenagers seeing their boyfriend or girlfriend naked for the first time. I can see him look me up and down, licking his lips and, and he’s already hard and his body looks so good naked, so tight and sculpted. I force myself to break my stare or I know we’ll never get in the bath and end up making love on the floor. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I hate wasting all that water.

 

I get in first and the water is scalding but once I completely sit down it seems to be ok. I sit up and slide close to the faucet so he can get in. Soon I feel arms around me, pulling me back and my body completely relaxes against his warm, wet skin. His body is solid behind me and his arms around me and even his legs on either side of me make me feel so safe and enclosed. Not in a prison or anything like that, but in a safe little comfort zone, a fortress. I giggle, I guess the bath would be the moat.

 

I think I filled the moat a little too full, because the bubbles and water are threatening to spill over. I’m not use to baths for two, but I think I’m going to fall in love with the concept.

 

“I use to love taking baths when I was a kid.”

 

“You did? I didn’t.” I say with a smile. I can feel his chest move with laughter behind me. “I couldn’t stand it. My mom would have to force me into the tub and then when I got old enough for showers she’d time me so I couldn’t cheat and get out without really scrubbing down.”

 

“I can’t picture you as a tomboy.”

 

“Oh I wasn’t. I’m horrible at sports and you’ve seen me with bugs and spiders. I just…” I turn my head and stick my tongue out at him. “I was lazy. Then I got into middle school and discovered makeup was just like coloring but with a face instead of a sheet of paper. And boys liked girls who smelled pretty. That’s also when all of my friends discovered a store called the Bath and Body Works. You could smell the Freesia on me from miles away.”

 

“Oh lord…” I smile and stretch my arms over my head and around the back of his neck. His hands come up out of the water, filled with suds and he grabs my breasts and starts to massage them. “Mmm, soapy boobies.”

 

I laugh but he doesn’t pull his hands away. “Why do you have to call them that? They’re breasts, Justin.”

 

“I’m immature, still stuck in middle school. Still trying to get some hot girl that smells like Freesia.” I get a wet kiss placed on my neck. “I thought you knew this.”

 

I wiggle against him just a little bit so I can brush against his erection in a playful manner. I turn and grin up at him. “Just don’t do anything prematurely in the tub.”

 

He moves his hands down to pinch my sides but it doesn’t hurt. “Hey…”

 

“Teasing…”

 

He pulls me more against him, this time pushing himself into me so I can feel how much he wants me. That makes me feel good, to know, to feel that he wants me. “You’re always teasing. Have you always been this way?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I bet you were a tease in school.”

 

“Not really, I was dating someone most of my high school life and in college. And in middle school most of us drooled after high school boys who wouldn’t give us the light of day.” It’s probably silly and I know I look weird, but I decide to turn around and lay against him so that I can see him and so our fronts can be pushed together. He laughs a little bit as water sloshes everywhere, but before long I’m situated with him a little slouched down so the water’s level with his chest and we’re kissing and I can tell he likes it. I can feel that he likes it.

 

“You look really beautiful tonight.” He says softly. “Especially now, with me. I know that’s a weird thing to say, but you just…I don’t know. I guess sometimes I just look at you and get amazed.”

 

I smile at him but then it fades, ‘cause I realize that I haven’t seen that soft look in his eyes and that genuine smile both together in that manner in so long. Some form of doubt enters my mind and, and before I know it I blurt it out. “Will you tell me the truth…” His eyebrows rise a bit. It’s too late now, I have to ask. I’ve been able to infer it from some of the shit Courtney’s said and Megan came right out and told me earlier today what she thinks and now, now I have to know myself. Honesty is a big thing for me in relationships and I can’t just hide that part of me now. “You don’t really want to tour with me, do you?”

 

“What?” He sits up a bit, forcing me to do the same or fall down into the water. I sit in front of him balled up with my knees at my chest. “Of course I do. I just…”

 

“I’m not gonna break up with you on tour. Unless you do something that’s really horrible. Even if we get in the world’s biggest fight, I still wanna try and I still wanna work it out if we can, before, during, or after the tour.”

 

He lets out a deep breath and scratches his head for a second. “I’m getting really stressed out Mere. Work messes me up. I love it, but promo wears me out like nothing else, more so than touring, and I’ll go ahead and warn you I’m not gonna be fun this next week. I promise I wont take anything out on you, but I’m just not gonna be the normal, relaxed, calm guy. I guess I haven’t been him for a few weeks now. I just don’t sleep well during promotion, I get this temper and attitude. I shouldn’t even say this. It’s not an excuse for being an ass, I just. Sometimes I can turn into this bad version of myself and, and I’m really going to try to stop that and be more conscious of it. And I’m, I’m really anxious about this album. I thought it’d be easier the second time, but it’s not. And now, now with you…I’ve just never done this before. I’ve never gone on tour with a girl I’m with. I mean like, when I was with Britney I’d go visit her but it wasn’t like we were touring together. This is work, Mere. We’re working together, we’re gonna be onstage together. This is what like…” He chews on his lip and darts his eyes away. “Like what married couples do.”

 

Oh.

 

Oh ok, now I think I get it.

 

I lick my lips and grab one of his hands, thinking over my words carefully. His fingers are starting to prune, and mine already look disgusting from the bath water and the dish water. “It…it just kind of makes sense to me. I mean, that’s how we started out, right? That’s how we met, working. And we do work really well together.” I look up at his eyes which are now looking directly at me. “And I totally will respect it and understand if there are days when you just wanna be by yourself. I’ll hide away in my bus and let you be and just perform with you that night and then leave you alone some more.”

 

“Please girl, you really think I’m gonna let you hide on your bus?”

 

“Well, we’ll each have our own.”

 

“So?” He reaches out and pulls me to him, kissing me thoroughly for a moment while I try to unravel my legs and get comfortable. “You know we’ll be shacking up together every damn night.”

 

He’s smiling at me and I smile back. God, he knows what to do to make me feel good. “It’s ‘cause you’re too horny for your own good.”

 

“Maybe, but maybe you like it.” He smiles at me. I squeal when I feel his hands in between my legs and he laughs at me and water goes everywhere and I don’t care and we end up kissing again and again. I wind up back like we started with my back against his front, but my head is tilted so I can kiss him and his hand… His hand is between my legs and it’s slow and nothing much more than a light touch, but it makes me sigh and makes this ache I have for him multiply within seconds.

 

“This…” I sigh and let my legs open more. Dear God it’s been too long. “This is what I need. Just you and me and nothing else.”

 

I look up at him and he pulls his hand away for a moment, relaxes it on my thigh and stares right at me. “I’m not worried about the tour, Mere. Maybe I was and I have a tendency to freak myself out easily and I do have some concerns about it. But I think if we can do this and make it through we’ll…we’ll be stronger in the end.”

 

That’s exactly how I feel.

 

“This is special, really special to me and I don’t wanna pressure you or anything like that, but…but I want you to know that this...this is really different for me. I’ve only been serious with two guys before, but…but this is still very different than that.” I smile, turn a little so I can put my arms around him and kiss him briefly. “You’re everything I want and need just wrapped up in this package called Justin Timberlake.”

 

He smiles back at me. “You’re sweet and you’re way too good for me. Too good to me.”

 

“Maybe I am…but is that a bad thing?”

 

He starts to stare at me. He does this sometimes and while at first it sort of freaked me out the more our relationship progresses the more I’m starting to get use to it and even like it. Soon a wet hand comes up to my cheek, but I don’t mind because his blue eyes are staring right into my own. “One day, one day I’m going to really show you how much you mean to me.”

 

“Justin…” I sigh, pull myself against him and bury my face into his strong neck. “You don’t have to show me or tell me, somehow I just know. I know.”

 

He always worries about it. I know he thinks he doesn’t show me how much I mean to him or he feels I’m more into this relationship than he is, and, and maybe I am on certain levels. But I know him, and I’ve discovered that it really is hard for him to be back in a relationship like this. And, and maybe I do push sometimes for something stronger than he wants to give.

 

But the funny thing is, he does give that to me in his own Justin way. He might not buy me things all the time and he might be closed off a lot and act like he’s not ready for this or for that, but I know him. I know the front he puts on. And I know that when I’m with him like I am now, when he looks at me from across the room like he did last night at my album party, when he gets protective over me like he did tonight, or when he puts up with my best friend’s psycho interrogation and doesn’t complain to me about it, I know that he’s putting a lot of effort into this, into me. It might not be special and it might not be deliberate, but I know.

 

I kiss his neck, feeling his hands down my back, wanting them all over me and knowing in a few minutes or so they will be and that we’ll be together and connected and everything will be made right and perfect again. And I know we’re gonna be ok and I know we’re gonna make it and somehow, somewhere deep within me I know how much I mean to him.
Chapter 26 by Mere

Chapter 26

 

Room 34B: Staples Center, 4:02 p.m.

 

It’s only been the first day and I’m already bored out of my mind. Well, I guess bored is the wrong word. Frustrated is more like it. Not frustrated with the work or the schedule, but with her attitude. It’s not really fair to her, because I’m supposed to be supportive and sit here and tell her everything is going to be ok and encourage her and keep her calm, but after two hours of trying to do that and failing, I’ve given up. And this book I’m reading is starting to really get on my nerves. The main female character is whiny and needy. At least this chair is comfortable.

 

Meredith’s laying back on the couch across from me, staring at the ceiling with her hands clasped tightly over her stomach so she won’t bring them to her mouth to bite at her nails. The table in front of her is a small, wooden coffee table, littered with a bottle of water, a container of gourmet nachos she requested earlier and hasn’t touched, lip balm, a bottle of lotion, a Cosmo and an In Style.

 

We arrived at the arena mid-morning. The day before she spent the morning in rehearsals and the afternoon I packed pretty much everything for her while she said goodbye to Megan by taking her out to eat. Meredith had almost convinced her to stay but I told her to go. She’s starting an internship tomorrow and there will be plenty more opportunities for her to see her best friend on stage. I told her Meredith would understand and that she needed to think about herself and her career. I guess I shouldn’t have. I guess I work for Meredith and not Megan, but Meredith’s behavior lately has sort of put me off. I understand that she’s nervous as hell to start touring, but she’s been out of her mind, clingy, needy, whiny, a lot like this chick in this novel. She wants to be independent and I know she’s a great performer and loves to be on stage, but she’s acting like a child.

 

It didn’t help matters that Justin has been out of town all week. He arrived yesterday morning and they did rehearsals from the early morning until early afternoon. Neither of them were in a good mood and you could tell they weren’t getting along with each other. I was thankful Trace sat with me in the stands for much of the rehearsal. I know he didn’t have to, I know he had better things to do, but Meredith had begged me to watch her and tell her if anything looked off.

 

Nothing did, it was all perfect, and plus, I was much too busy having a conversation about Italian restaurants in New York with Trace to notice anything nick-picky. I almost lost my voice because I had to talk so loud over the music.

 

I haven’t asked her what the matter is yet because I know I’ll only get the response that she’s nervous, even when I know it’s more than that, and she knows I know that. So I’ve just kept her company, quietly sitting here, happy that I finished most of all the work I have to do today. The past week has been hectic and even though I’ve been sitting down much of the past few days watching her rehearsals, it’s just now that I’m realizing how good it feels to really sit down and actually relax. This room helps, too. I’m amazed by the way this room looks and how much effort the tour company put into her private dressing room and how much they understood her when she requested for a peaceful beach theme. Of course there are things like a clothing rack and make up and a mirror, but there are tropical looking plants and drapes across the walls in a light blue and lavender color that match the scented vanilla and lavender candles. It’s very serene and looks more like it should be part of a beach house than a random room in the underbelly of a huge stadium.

 

I close my book and move to set it on the table in between us. I steal a nacho while I’m at it. She hasn’t touched the damned things and it kind of pisses me off. She was flipping out about them earlier, telling me that whoever went to get them should be fired for taking so long. I didn’t tell her that it was one of her dancers, Abbie, who had been stuck in traffic on her way to get all of us lunch.

 

She’s biting on her thumb. This isn’t a good sign.

 

I lean back and stare at her for a moment before asking, “You need anything?”

 

She gulps and continues to stare at the ceiling. “Yes.”

 

“Mere…” I sigh. “What?”

 

“For time to speed up.” Her hands move to cover her face and she leaves them there.

 

“I’ve told you this a bazillion times. You are gonna do fantastic tonight.”

 

“Right.”

 

“Have you called your parents back, yet?”

 

“No.” She’s still talking through her hands, the sleeves of her oversized long-sleeved t-shirt cover much of her hands that are covering her face. She’s drowning in her clothes and if I knew she wasn’t just going for relaxation and comfort, and if she wasn’t wearing her gym-shorts rolled at the waist, I would really think something was wrong. She looks like she’s wearing pajamas.

 

“Mere….”

 

She pulls her hands away from her face and flips up on her side and stares right at me, passing me the most pathetic look I’ve seen in a long, long time. “It’s just, no one’s here. Justin’s whole fucking family flew out and here I am all alone.”

 

She’s such a bull shitter.

 

I smile at her. “His mom and dad flew out, not his whole family, Mere. And you know your parents would be here if they could and Megan is going to come to several of the shows later on. We actually went over the tickets she wanted the other day and I got that all lined up for her. And you and Justin both have a lot of friends who are gonna come tonight and be at the after party. Why are you so depressed? You should be excited.”

 

“Shit Court, I don’t know. I think my brain is going to explode.” She sighs, sits up and leans forward on the edge of the couch, picking at the open container of nachos, moving them around a bit but not eating them. She’s gonna pass out if she doesn’t eat anything before the show, but I won’t worry her with that right now. Hopefully, once her boyfriend shows up he can take over this sad little display of a pity party she’s throwing herself.

 

And it’s ridiculous and it’s only been lately that she’s been this way. Sure that first week we were together in New York she was a pain in the ass, but she stopped after a while. She tried to get to know me and she was always telling me what good friends we were and she seemed to have fun with me. And I’ll admit I was having fun with her. But the past week or so, God, she’s just been a nightmare. And as much as I don’t want to pry and as much as I want to try and keep this relationship on a strictly business and professional level, I can’t help but care about her a little bit. My elbow’s resting on the arm of the chair and I lean my cheek on my fist and stare at her. “What’s going on with you lately?”

 

She runs her hands over her head and pulls her hair into a messy bun before leaning back on the couch in a horribly slouched position. She stares at the coffee table and mumbles, “What if we do break up?”

 

“Oh my God, are you serious?”

 

Her eyes meet mine and I try not to laugh at her. If this is what’s bothering her, she really needs to get her head checked. She should have thought about this a long time ago. The day of her first night on tour is a little too late. “It’s a legitimate concern.”

 

“So, I spend all last week reassuring you that Justin’s happy to be on tour with you and now you’re not happy to be on tour with him?”

 

She stands up and immediately starts to pace the room. “I never said that!”

 

I want to laugh at her, but I know that’ll make her stomp out of here and slam the door. I don’t know. Maybe I am a bitch. I care about Meredith, and she’s a good girl. But she’s acting like a ten year old right now. At times I get mad at myself for calling her immature and then something like this will happen and I just realize that this girl needs to really grow up. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe there’s something more important underneath the surface that she doesn’t want to tell me about.

 

“If you keep acting like this and if you don’t calm down you’re gonna ruin your night tonight. You need to relax, maybe take a nap, go for a quick run, something or your gonna freak. And you guys gotta get on the road right after that party tonight.”

 

“Ughhh, I don’t wanna go.”

 

“Mere…” I groan. I feel like I’m babysitting. “Everyone will be there. It’ll be fun…” There’s a knock at the door and I push myself up and point to her where she’s now sitting up against her makeup counter. “I’ll get it, you just relax.”

 

I walk to the door and open it, hoping its not some random Make-A-Wish kid or one of the venue officials. As soon as we got here this morning I felt like it wouldn’t end, people kept coming to the door. I think it annoyed me more than her. It was the first time I really saw her with her fans. I mean, I’ve seen her sign autographs and stuff but that was always on her private time, or when she was on business at an interview or something. She’s different with these contest winners and stuff. She really tries to be interested in them. I was kind of proud of her. With the venue people, too. Most of the time she’s in her own world, not mean or a diva and bitching at everyone, but kind of aloof to all the people doing things for her.

 

So far, she’s been very appreciative to the crew and everything.

 

I open the door and I’m met with the biggest bouquet of flowers I’ve ever seen. There are roses in all sorts of colors and daisies and lilies and all sorts of things that I don’t even know the name of. The bouquet shakes a bit, laughs and says to me, “Sup P.B.”

 

It’s kind of amazing that the bouquet is big enough to hide most of Teddy’s upper body, but he pulls the flowers down and passes me a toothy grin. I’m not going to comment on the P.B. nickname. I know it stands for Pole Butt. He’s such a smart ass, but I’d rather have Teddy teasing me than really being mean to me. I sigh and say to him in a low voice, “She’s flipping out in here. Those for her?”

 

“Yup, got another present coming in a minute.” He winks and I roll my eyes and pull the door back and move out of the way so he can come in. He enters and I pull the door shut behind me. Meredith is staring at Teddy with a shocked look on her face and a tiny smile. He sets the flowers beside her and ruffles her hair, completely making her head a static mess. “Hey M.C.”

 

She doesn’t move and just stares at him. “Tell me you didn’t get me flowers.”

 

He crosses his arms over his chest and I laugh at them. They are quite amusing most of the time. The perfect odd couple: a gigantic black man from Detroit and the teeniest white girl from a small town in Georgia. Somehow they get along and somehow you can just tell when they are around each other that there’s this respect and this, I guess, love for each other. “And what if I did? Is that hard to believe?”

 

Her stare breaks and she shrugs with a laugh, “Kind of.”

 

I go and sit down again and just watch them. They really are entertaining. “No, they are a special delivery.”

 

“From?”

 

He scoffs and rolls his eyes before shuffling towards the door. “Read the note. I gotta go play ping-pong with some of the guys.”

 

She scoffs back and crosses her arms over her chest. “You are supposed to be protecting me!”

 

“Eh, protect yourself.” He waves her off and exits the room, but before closing the door all the way he yells, “I’m two doors down.”

 

The door closes, she hops off the counter and stares at me while fixing her hair. “Did you know about this?”

 

“I’m clueless.” She’s looking at the flowers, smelling them and pulling the little card out of its holder when the door opens quietly and Justin sneaks in. I roll my eyes and pick up my book. Here we go. “They are pretty, though.”

 

“Oh my god…” I hear her say and glance to see Justin right behind her smiling like he won the lottery. I guess that’s a bad metaphor in his case. She’s still unaware of him and reading from the card and laughing. “What a fucking cheese ball! It says from you’re secret admirer.”

 

“What? You don’t like?” Justin says to her.

 

She squeals for a moment and turns around and hugs him and this time I really do go back to my book, trying to drown out her giggles and the sound of them kissing and being all affectionate with each other. “I love them! Thank God you’re here.”

 

I don’t look up, but since he’s here now, I guess I should pass the torch onto him to play comforter to Meredith, “She’s been a wreck, just fyi.”

 

“Court, shut up.”

 

I glance at her again and he’s holding her, kissing her neck, ignoring the fact that I’m here. She’s peeking over his shoulder trying to narrow her eyes at me, but there’s too big of a smile on her face. “I’m just giving him a heads up.”

 

I almost wonder if her whole bad mood this past week and today was because her time with Justin has been cut short. He’s been away a lot of the week doing interviews and promotion, but every time he’s been around she’s seemed happier. I really hope they don’t break up.

 

I can almost imagine it in my head, messy and hurtful. Lots of crying, maybe some broken glass, lots and lots of snotty tissues.

 

Ugh.

 

I read a page of my book and the heroine actually gets some guts to tell her sister what a bitch she is. I flip the page and then realize that it’s silent in the room. My eyes open wide when I hear a small “mmm” and the sound of fabric moving. I stare at the printed text of the book. Oh God, maybe I should quietly leave and not look back at the counter.

 

I shut my book and start to move but then Justin plops down on the couch in front of me and leans forward looking at the nachos which are probably soggy and disgusting now. “Who’s food?”

 

Meredith sits beside him on the couch, curled up, rubbing a hand over her shoulder. The baseball hat he was wearing is now on her head and she’s just staring at him while he stares at the food. “Mine.”

 

He glances at her with a smile then says in a funny voice that makes her laugh, “I’ll take some of ‘dem nachos.”

 

He eats for a moment and I pull my book back into my lap. I need to get another book or something that’ll keep my interest away from these two. I get another paragraph read, content with just hearing Justin crunch on tortilla chips, open Meredith’s bottle of Sprite that’s been sitting there for an hour and then burp loudly. It’s kind of sad when I’ve become content with hearing Justin Timberlake burp.

 

Then I hear a high pitched whine, “Justin, I’m nervous….”

 

I glance up. Oh God, I need a way out of here. Fast.

 

“Baby….” He says in the same whiney tone as her and leans back and pulls her legs over his lap. His hand lands on the highest part of her outer thigh, running up and down a little bit, making sure to go up under her tiny gym shorts. He kisses her, “I’m nervous, too. Let’s try not to think about it….” He smiles and then she smiles.

 

Fuck, I gotta get out of here.

 

I close my book and think about where I can go, ‘cause I know if I just get up without saying anything Meredith will ask me where I’m going and tell me that I don’t have to go and it’ll be awkward. Maybe I can say that I need to get something out of the bus, or that I need to make a private phone call or that…

 

“Court…”

 

I look up at the door and Trace is leaning in. Thank the dear lord Jesus.

 

It’s like he read my mind. I smile at Meredith. “I’ll be back.” She doesn’t look at me. Justin says something quietly into her ear and she bursts out laughing.

 

Leave everything behind Court. No need for your book or your purse. There’s no time. Just get the hell out of this love nest before babies start falling out onto the floor.

 

I almost run to the door. I step out into the hallway and shut it behind me and sigh. One of these days I think they’re just going to go for it right in front of me. I really think they don’t care. “Thank God,” I say with a laugh. “I thought they were going to ask me to video tape them having sex or something.”

 

He doesn’t laugh, but instead looks down at his feet, back at me, and suddenly his hands that were behind his back are in front of him, holding a small vase with two daises in them. “Here…”

 

I stare at the flowers and then at him. He’s blushing. He’s actually blushing just a little bit and I can’t remember the last time someone gave me flowers. I don’t count Justin’s funeral bouquet—excuse me, I mean the, “I’m sorry for yelling at you” bouquet that Mere made him get me—as really giving me flowers. That was forced. “What the hell is this?”

 

Shit. I didn’t really mean for it to come out that way, but I can’t help it. I’m wondering what the catch is.

 

“Nothing romantic, just because I know you’re stressed, too,” he rushes to say. “And I know how they can get and act like it’s all about them.” He nods over to Meredith’s closed door and I can’t help but just stare at him. Is he serious? He looks back at me for a moment, sets the flowers on the small folding table beside Meredith’s door and shrugs. “Ok, ok. I stole them from Justin’s bouquet, but they'll never know.”

 

As much as I love the fact that he thought about me enough to put two little daisies in their own cheap plastic vase, something tells me to back off. It’s random and it doesn’t make sense. We’ve both been busy and I haven’t seen him all that much lately. Sure we got to sit and watch them rehearse yesterday, but other than that, he’s been with Justin in New York promoting his single and I’ve been here with Meredith. It just doesn’t make sense. We haven’t really moved on or past the whole being just friends thing. I mean, it’s weird really. We fought because he assumed I wanted a real relationship with him, when he wasn’t ready. Which is a crock of shit.

 

I mean, sure I’d like to have a boyfriend. Sure I get jealous and need to flee the room whenever Meredith and Justin are together. It’s just hard, cause yeah, it makes you realize how alone you are. But I’m ok. I’m not crying my eyes out and I don’t want a man who’s so unsure of himself and unsure of what he wants that he can’t even understand me. He claims I’m the one pushing him into something more than he can give. Well he’s the one who comes after me. And he’s the one who’s giving me flowers.

 

And he’s the one who every conversation we have, he throws some flirty sexual remark, even when he’s trying really hard not to.

 

I eye him suspiciously. He comes up beside me and suddenly we’re walking down the hallway, past Teddy’s noisy game of ping-pong in the game room, past the room labeled as Justin’s, past the small dining room that looks more like a cafeteria and towards the entrance to the inside of the arena. He doesn’t say a word and that proves it to me. He’s up to something.

 

“When was the last time you gave somebody flowers?”

 

“My momma for her birthday a few months ago.” He turns to me and stops right in front of the double doors that have been locked into an open position where roadies are going in and out of it. “It doesn’t mean anything, I just thought you'd like to have a little something to yourself to put wherever you want it.”

 

I only nod and he continues out into the arena back behind where the band will be set up near this insanely large curtain. I have no idea why we are here. I guess this is where we won’t be bothered. People are too busy working to stop us and try to have a conversation with me or especially Trace, since he seems to know everyone and everything that’s associated with this place and this tour. There’s even parts of Meredith’s crew and team that I don’t know that he does. But since we’re here and he’s sitting down on the elevated black platform that the drum kit is on, and there are no distractions, I know that Trace is up to something.

 

He pats the space beside him and I sit down cautiously.

 

We don’t speak and just sit listening the yells of roadies and some microphone checks. Everything is set up for tonight, at least I thought, but there are still people running around with wires and boxes. Finally, I hear him sigh and I look over and he’s rubbing his forehead, “I gotta ask you something and I don’t want to offend you.”

 

Great.

 

I knew it. “Um…okay.”

 

“Well, I don’t know if Mere talked to you about this, but she called me this morning and she really wants to ya know, have some alone time with Justin tonight on the ride to Vegas.”

 

“She doesn’t have to get permission from me to spend time with her boyfriend, Trace.”

 

He sighs again and stares at me. “She wants to fuck him, Courtney.” I laugh loudly and cover my mouth with my hand. I really wasn’t expecting that and I really don’t know what the hell that has to do with me. Maybe I was right. Maybe they do want me to video tape them.

 

I’ve spent too much time with this crowd. I’m turning into a pervert. I use to never laugh at sexual jokes. I use to never say them to myself. This can’t be good.

 

He continues, “So, I need a bus to ride on.”

 

Oh. The humor immediately leaves and I start to realize that by ‘alone’, Meredith really means alone.

 

But I still don’t know what this has to do with me, especially since she’s riding on Justin’s bus tonight. He’s giving me this look. This sad, pathetic little look. Yeah, I see what he’s up to.

 

And the flowers and the look, none of it is gonna work.

 

I roll my eyes at him and he sighs, “I guess I can just ask Marty and the guys if I can ride with them.”

 

“You’re really good at that guilty thing.”

 

He bites his lip. Clearly he took the sarcasm of my previous statement as encouragement. “I just thought we could watch a movie together or something.”

 

I nod. “And I thought you were supposed to stop hitting on me.”

 

He shrugs, but looks the other way. “I’m not hitting on you.”

 

“Then what would you call it?”

 

His hand smacks the box we are sitting on and he whips his head around and says bitingly. “You know what? It’s ok. I just wanted to hang out, but I can see you’re already making it complicated.”

 

I scoff at him. He’s being ridiculous. Sure I’d like to spend some time with him, but I know if we get on a bus together with a huge bed tempting us in the back of it and a nice big screen TV, opposed to tiny cramped bunks, well I’m not sure what would happen. And I’m trying to keep us at the friend level so then once we deal with that we can figure out if the level above that is good for us. I like Trace. I think that’s pretty obvious. But I just can’t do this bull shit anymore. I gotta set some boundaries for us, since clearly he doesn’t know how to give himself any.

 

“Well I highly doubt Meredith would want either of us sleeping in her custom made bed with her specialty pillows and linen sprays. And it’s gonna be a little awkward with just me and you hanging out in bunk beds while George drives us around. It’ll just be weird, sorry.”

 

He opens his mouth to say something but I hear above and behind me. “What the hell are you two doing?”

 

The box we’re on has a metal railing a few feet behind where we are sitting to protect the drummers. Justin’s leaning against that railing disguising his desire to throw me dirty looks with looking curiously at Trace.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be relaxing and keeping calm with your woman?”

 

“Angie called and she got all pacing and distracted.” His eyes dart to mine and I stare him back. I’m not afraid of Justin, and I’m really getting tired of his death glares.

 

He doesn’t break it and I know he’s silently telling me to get the fuck away. I might not be afraid of Justin, but at the same time, I really don’t want to argue with him. I look at Trace and he’s looking in between us like we have some secret he’s not in on. I realize I should probably go see what Angie wanted from Meredith. Plus, this is a great way to escape any more bus ride begging. ‘Cause I’m afraid my resolve might break if he keeps lathering on that desperate look. “Yeah….I’m just gonna go.”

 

I stand up and feel a hand on my arm near my elbow. I look down. “No, why are you going?” he says softly. “You didn’t do anything.”

 

I say softly back to him, “I’m not wanted here.”

 

He stares at me hard, then stands up and looks up at Justin who’s sitting on the drum stool, letting it slowly turn him in a circle while he twirls a drumstick in his fingers. Trace crosses his arms and says in a voice that I’m surprised of and actually a little happy to hear. “Me and Courtney have to sort out a couple of things Jay.”

 

His back is to us as the chair keeps turning but now it starts to really slow down. Ha. Spinning in a swivel chair. What a five year old. “Huh?”

 

But I don’t want him doing this. While I’m happy Trace is sort of sticking up for me to Justin, I want to leave. I want this conversation to end. I don’t want him on my bus tonight. “Sort out? There’s nothing to sort out Trace. And I get really uncomfortable when he comes around and treats me like shit for no reason. So I’m just gonna leave.”

 

The chair stops. Justin puts down the drum sticks and bends down in between the metal railing to step down to where we are. He looks like someone getting into a boxing ring. “Whoa. Hold up. I didn’t do a damn thing.” If looks could kill I’d be dead a long, long time ago, already in the ground, tombstone and all.

 

Well, here we go.

 

I’m tired of the death stares, so if he wants to start this up, ya know, I think I just might be up for the challenge. “I’ll tell you what you did. You think my friendship with Trace is some kind of crime!”'

 

He laughs this cocky laugh that makes me hate him even more. I know why Meredith likes him but good God I wish she weren’t dating him so I could really hurt this man. He shrugs. “No, not a crime. I just don’t think you’re the sort of girl he’s into. And I’ve known him for a long, long time.” He laughs again. “I mean let’s be honest. He likes sweet, nice, laid back girls. And you’re kind of stuck up, Courtney. And selfish.”

 

I take it back. I don’t know what the fuck she sees in him.

 

I laugh bitterly and love how Trace is just standing back, watching all this. “Oh I’m selfish? Explain that to me. I’d love to hear your theory.”

 

“Well, for starters you are so fucking jealous of me and Mere that you’ll do anything to keep her to yourself and push me out of the way just so you don’t have to think about the fact that you’re all alone and she has someone. It’s kind of lesbianish the way you hog her all the time.” He hits Trace in the chest lightly with the back of his hand. “Tell her. Tell her what you said the other night.”

 

Oh, hell no.

 

I cross my arms and raise an eyebrow at Trace. “Excuse me?”

 

Trace is staring at Justin wide-eyed. “Ya know, Trace. What you said about her being desperate for attention.”

 

He looks at me and in a panicked voice says, “I didn’t mean it like that!”

 

“Oh really? Then how the fuck did you mean it, Trace?” He looks down at the floor and I take a step towards both of them. “‘Cause, ya know, clearly I’m the one who goes around here flaunting myself to everyone and flirting with every guy I see, ‘cause I’m so fucking desperate.”

 

Justin nods at me. “Yeah, maybe you should just do yourself a favor and find a different line of work.”

 

I can’t fucking believe this right now. Justin’s staring me straight in the eye and Trace is still looking at the floor. I shake my head. I don’t know why I expected more out of him.

 

“Typical,” I mutter and leave. I can’t handle this. I pivot around and march straight for the doors we came in. I see Meredith strolling out with her Sprite in hand, her shirt sleeves pushed up to her elbows. She slightly waves at me but drops her hand and watches me as I ignore her and try to storm past her.

 

I don’t get anywhere though. Her arm shoots out and locks onto mine and she tugs me in close to her. “What’s the matter?”

 

I shake my head and pull away. “I just need some fresh air.”

 

She looks at me and then looks out to the back side of the stage and then back at me. “Hell no. You’re coming with me.”

 

She grabs my arm, roughly. It almost hurts and I feel immediately like I need to break from her and run. But I know I can’t. I know if I do she’ll just chase me down and order Teddy to put me in a head lock. Shit, I don’t want her getting into this and taking Justin’s side. She still holds my upper arm when we approach Justin, who’s laughing and patting Trace’s back. Trace is still looking at the floor. Meredith just stares at them for a moment until they notice us. Then she lets go of me and waves her arms around.

 

“What the fuck did you do?” She stares straight at Trace. His mouth opens and then shuts. She turns to Justin and points to him. “And what the fuck did YOU do?”

 

He puts his hands up in defense. What a fucking loser. He was the one who started this shit. “Baby, I didn’t do a thing. Don’t get mad at me!”

 

She crosses her arms over her chest, taps her foot and looks around at all of us like she’s our mother and we got caught trying to sneak in past curfew. In a way, I sort of feel like she is my mother right now. “Someone needs to tell me what’s going on here!”

 

I shake my head. I don’t want her being my mother. When Meredith starts mothering me I know something is wrong. “It’s nothing, Mere.” I force a smile. “I just need to go lay down, ok?”

 

She rolls her eyes at me. “Oh yeah right. It’s just nothing, nothing that you’re storming mad as a hornet out of here. I really don’t fucking appreciate this! It’s my first night and you all know that I’m a nervous wreck, that I’ve been this way all week, that I’ve thrown up twice today already. And here you all go, pissing off my assistant. I need her right now. I don’t need you two bullying her around. I need her to be calm so I can be calm. You’re both fucking idiots. I don’t even know why I’m bothering right now.”

 

They both just stare at her. Trace looks ashamed and Justin is looking at her in disbelief, disbelief that she would stick up for me. I can’t say that I’m not a little shocked myself, but I guess I need to give her the benefit of the doubt more often. I know she likes me, and I know she cares about me, and I know even though we’re really different a lot of the time, she knows when her boyfriend is being a dick and she’s not afraid to call him out on it, at least not anymore.

 

But Justin’s just staring at her and it’s almost pissing me off how he assumes that she would just come up and hug and kiss him and be all lovey. Does he not realize that his girlfriend is a lot smarter than that? I decide to do something immature. I want to piss him off even more. Now that he knows Mere’s gonna stick up for me, it’s like she’s my bodyguard. As long as she’s around, I can do whatever the hell I want to poor little Justin.

 

And he can’t do a thing.

 

I go and put my arm around his shoulders and lean against him like we’re grand old pals. I can feel his muscles tighten in his shoulders. “He was just making me upset because he kept saying how much you were going to show him up tonight, and I told him that you guys are both equally good and that I don’t want him making this a competition between you two.”

 

Meredith raises an eyebrow at me and then busts out laughing. “You’re probably the worst liar in the history of the world.”

 

I laugh with her and look at Justin. His jaw is locked and he’s just staring straight in front of him. Trace is looking at me as if to say, “what the hell are you doing?”

 

Meredith starts to laugh even more and comes up and smiles at him. “Oh my God, Justin. Stop looking so terrified. She doesn’t have cooties. Stop acting like a five year old.”

 

“Everything is fine,” I say. “I’m just going to go back to the bus and lie down ‘cause I have a bit of a headache, ok?” I pull away from Justin and turn to pat him on the head. He glares at me and I know I better start my funeral arrangements. “Be a good boy, ok?” I laugh, look at Trace for a moment and walk past all of them. I can hear Justin yelling to me, “You’re weird,” and then hear Meredith say, “Hey!” defensively and then laughter.

 

I just roll my eyes. They’ve all moved on now, all forgotten about me and how they treated me like shit. It’s ok. I really do need a nap because I have no idea how well I’m going to sleep on a bus tonight. I make it back towards Meredith’s room and almost go in to get my stuff and take it to the bus. My flowers are still sitting there on that table. Untouched and smiling at me. They make me happy for a moment, then I realize that he was just giving me those to butter me up about the bus thing.

 

I hear behind me, “Come on girl, wait up.”

 

I keep walking. I hear his footsteps behind me and soon he’s right beside me, keeping up with my quick pace and trying to talk to me. I ignore him, completely tone him out until we get near the exit.

 

I cut him off when we get outside. “I’m not a weak person, Trace. How dare you tell someone else that I seem desperate? Especially Justin. I'm trying my hardest to be a good friend to you, you could try doing the same without letting your dick get in the way, or letting your fucking best friend get in the way."

 

He whips around in front of me and puts his hands up. There is an angry look in his eyes. “Now hold up.”

 

I push past him and walk straight to the bus, thankful the doors are open. I call back to him. “You might wanna start asking around about extra bunks, ‘cause you sure as hell aren’t sleeping here tonight.”

 

“He twisted my words around if it even matters to you!”

 

I stop on the first step of the bus and turn. I really can’t believe he was telling Justin I was desperate for attention, or whatever the hell he said. How dare him? He doesn’t even know what he’s talking about. “You shouldn’t have even been talking to Justin about me in the first place!”

 

He marches straight up to me. “Oh hell naw. You’re the one who was bitching at me just two weeks ago about how you hated that I wouldn’t talk to Justin. Well fuck that! You think I was too ashamed of you to talk about you to him and…and now you’re mad at me for not being ashamed, for actually talking to him and trying to explain to him how I feel about you! You’re a fucking mind trip Courtney Dawson.”

 

“I was bitching at you because you wouldn’t admit that you liked me! I never, ever told you to go and tell him about me or repeat things to him that I told you in confidence. And I certainly don’t want you trying to explain anything to that asshole. What the hell is wrong with you?”

 

“What the hell is wrong with you!”

 

We’re both breathing hard, glaring at each other and I feel like I might punch him. In fact, I almost do.

 

But he beats me to it.

 

He steps up and kisses me. Hands on both sides of my face, holding me against him, sucking the breath out of me, devouring me. It feels like a blow to my gut.

 

I push him away and he stumbles back. I wipe at my mouth.

 

He…he can’t do that. He just can’t.

 

“Don’t you dare.”

 

He punches the air and scowls at me. “Fucking fine!” he yells and I turn and stomp up into the bus. I…I can’t handle this. I can’t handle any of it.

 

It’s too much. I never in my life thought that working for a pop star would bring this much drama into my personal life. And…and I never thought one man could make me so fucking livid that I could rip my hair out and…and at the same time be so completely wonderful and sweet and pathetic and make me want him so fucking bad.

 

I hate this.

 

I have to quit. I just have to. I just have to leave right now.

 

I sit down on the couch and pick up one of Meredith’s fluffy throw pillows and pull it to my face, trying to suffocate myself.

 

Instead I just scream into it.

 

And to think, I have another month and a half of this. Of Meredith and Justin off having sex. Of Justin plotting my murder. Of Trace….standing there, begging me to forgive him, frustrated with me, kissing me. God dammit he was right. I am desperate for attention, for his attention. But when I get it, I just…I get scared. I don’t know what to do with it and I don’t know what that attention means, what signals he’s sending me, what he really wants from me. I hate being clueless.

 

I sigh and lean back on the couch and stare at the ceiling.

 

“Fuck…”

 

I think it’s safe to say I’m in a shit load of trouble.
Chapter 27 by Mere

Chapter 27

 

Event Room: Staples Center, 1:18

 

I scan the room looking for my girl, but I can’t find her. Shit, if she’s already bounced then I bet Angie would shit her pants. She’s supposed to be out here with me promoting and schmoozing with all these executives. Little sneak getting out of all the hard work. I smile to myself. She’s a smart girl. I just wish she would have let me in on it. I wish we could have snuck off together.

 

I spot Courtney talking to some blonde chick on the other side of the large room, so maybe Mere’s still around here somewhere. I hope she hasn’t left. I hope she hasn’t gone on her bus because I want to stay with her tonight. I really want to stay with her tonight, and I wanted to tell her about the surprise I had lined up for her. Though, it’d be fucking hilarious if she went ahead and drove to Las Vegas and left Courtney. I know, I know. I’m an asshole.

 

“Fantastic show, J.” I turn and don’t know who the fuck that gay was that just passed me and said that. I love how a lot of people who don’t know me call me “J” as if it’s some assumed nickname they use to act like they are close to me. Whatever he called me, he’s still right.

 

It was fantastic tonight. No, it was more than that. Seriously. It was so much fun really doing my own music out there, and to have her there, too. I don’t know, maybe it won’t be as bad as I originally thought. Maybe going out and performing with her every night will be good for us. She…she kicked ass tonight. I didn’t get to see all of her set, but I know when we were doing our songs together and when she came out and danced with me during “Love Stoned” the crowd went wild. She put it down, she nailed it, and…and I’m really fucking proud of her. She’s grown and improved so much from her first album, even from the moment she came into the studio with me. I know there was shit going on with her life, I know that she was kind of depressed, but you could tell she was unsure of herself and had been that way before all that drama had happened. You could tell that she really didn’t have full confidence in herself. She relied on me a lot, and I really had to change how I did some of my shit to make her work and make her be creative with me. And I had to figure out a way to do it without completely deflating her and getting angry with her.

 

It worked. I don’t know how the fuck I did it, but it worked.

 

She’s always been a phenomenal dancer, but tonight her voice was so on point, and the crowd was loving her songs. They seemed to love mine as well.

 

I smile.

 

I think I really did a good job, too. And honestly, I don’t think she’s the only one that’s grown and improved. I know it’s a cocky-ass thing to say, but really, my album and these new songs of mine are fucking insane. I know I did it, but at the same time I’m kind of like amazed that I did, that I had the balls to do something completely different than what people would expect from a boy band veteran. And something completely different from Justified.

 

Ya know, I should probably just go see her. I look down at my wrist. Shit, I don’t even know what time it is because I forgot to put my watch on after I showered. I go to pull out my phone and see what time it is, maybe I’ll call her, see where she is. I haven’t really seen her since the show got over. She came into my dressing room right after the show finished. I was undressing out of my sweaty clothes and she ran in, all clean and beautiful and ready for the after party. She kissed me really hard, right there in front of everyone else in the dressing room, whispered she loved me and that she’d see me at the party.

 

But I haven’t really been able to see her. I mean, yeah she was here and I saw her talking to people and everything. And at one point I caught her smiling at me from across the room and I winked at her. The look she gave me in return was shy and simple but it made me stop thinking about anything but her. I was about go to run over and talk to her for a second when this mass of people came up and started hugging her. These party things are kind of weird like that. I mean, they’re supposed to be for the artists, but really they’re for all the executives and investors in the tour to come together, meet the artist and get a feel for how well the tour is going to go. It’s for them to speculate how much money they’re going to make. There’s also an interviewer or two roaming around here for a LA paper and I think I was talking to a Rolling Stone journalist earlier, but I haven’t really been around just one person all night, there’s always been a group surrounding me, so I don’t know who I’ve talked to.

 

“Justin…”

 

I turn and see my dad and Johnny walking up to me with a couple other guys with them. I don’t know who they are, but they are wearing suits and they look important. I take a deep breath, plaster on a smile and try not to show how much I really don‘t want to talk to whoever this is.

 

“Hey…” I say causally, calmly. It’s almost sick how I have this down to a science, how to be professional, how to fucking bull shit. I mean, if someone starts doing shit I don’t like I’m not gonna stand for it. But all these promotional people, the sponsors, and the owners and all that crap, they just want another celebrity to mark off on the list. So I have to lay on the charm, make a few jokes, seem interested in what they do, when really I don’t really give a shit. Don’t get me wrong, I know these people are important, and I know they are probably dishing out a lot of money or potentially can help out with some future business venture, but most of the time they are so god damn boring. I normally just sip my beer and try to change the conversation to sports or travel or something that has a bit of neutral ground.

 

Is it bad, too, that I think I’ve met these people before? Like, I don’t know their names but they look familiar. It’s so weird, ‘cause normally with artists, producers, people who actually work with me I never ever have trouble remembering their names, but these type of people, who are just putting up money, who are basically buying me like stock, I can never ever remember what their names are.

 

Shit, this guy does know me. He’s talking about how I met him at some club opening last year. What the fuck is this dude’s name?

 

I glance around the room, seeing if I know where Trace is. ‘Cause Trace, shit, he’s like a genius when it comes to remembering someone’s name. He probably remembered the name of the Starbucks employee who fixed our coffee this morning.

 

It’s times like these when I sometimes get this weird, excited, yet uneasy feeling in my gut. Like I can be in the moment, talking to this guy I don’t really know, bull shitting out my ass and smiling, and I kind of just drift away from myself. It’s like I’m not even really there. Sometimes it makes me see how far I’ve come, it makes me wonder who I would be if I wasn’t in this business, or even if I wasn’t the face of the business, if I was behind the scenes, if I just was the owner of a little studio in Memphis, or if I was a producer that no one really knew about. It’s not like I’m trying to discredit what all happened to make me who I am today, ‘cause I kind of like who I am today, but it’s just like shit, most people don’t live like me. What if I was just a nobody from Tennessee?

 

But I’m not a nobody, and this dude is starting to get on my nerves. When he walked up I was dreading it, and now I know why. Everyone else is cool, but this one guy with the pink tie keeps asking me shit. Stuff about my new songs and the tour and about…about the songs I did with her. He’s got this look in his eyes like he’s gonna say something he shouldn’t.

 

“So it must be hard touring with your woman by your side all the time.”

 

He just said something he shouldn’t.

 

I look to Johnny to see if he’s paying attention to this, but him and my dad and some other guy are talking, oblivious to what’s going on right here. I don’t wanna talk about her to some stranger. It’s ok to talk about her on a business level, but no one else has the right to come up here and ask me about “my woman”. These people should know this by now, they should know me by now.

 

I narrow my eyes at this asshole. “It’s not hard being on tour with Meredith. She’s got a great album out, a great sound that goes well with the music I’ll be releasing soon.”

 

“Right, but let’s be honest. On tour, with your girlfriend, I mean these kind of gigs are made to get away from that kind of ball and chain.”

 

“Ball and chain?” I set my beer down on the bar counter behind me and cross my arms over my chest. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.” This guy is insane if he feels like he can talk to me about this stuff. He’s trying to get a rise out of me, and it’s about to work.

 

Thankfully I spot Trace and he sees me. I pass him a look and he knows right then what to do.

 

Not a moment passes before he’s nudged his way between me and this guy who’s now staring at me with a smirk. What the fuck?

 

“What’s up guys? Justin I need to talk to you for a second, it’s important. Excuse us.” He turns and starts to walk away and I follow him gladly. Sometimes Trace is just as good a bodyguard as he is an assistant. We get over by the wall near where Monique, one of Mere’s dancers, and some other people are dancing and drinking. She smiles at me and I just nod. God, where the hell is my girl? I hope that asshole wasn’t bothering her earlier.

 

“What was that shit about?” Trace asks, leaning against the wall and looking back over to where we came from.

 

I run a hand over my head. Shit, I need to shave it again. Maybe I’ll grow it out. I wonder what she’d think about that. “Just an asshole trying to dig too deep.”

 

“Kind of swarmed with those tonight. I didn’t realize there were reporters here until someone asked me with a tape recorder what it was like to work for you. I was like, what the fuck! Let me enjoy my drink, damn.”

 

I nod at him and turn to lean beside him. I scan the crowd. Maybe I should ask Monique if she knows where Mere is. I wanna blow this place and I want her with me. I haven’t even been able to talk to her yet, and I know that’s just how it goes sometimes. But I don’t know, sometimes I just get this feeling where I need her near me and I want to just look at her and I have so much to say to her. Just stupid shit like this joke Tiny told me earlier today that I know she’ll giggle her head off about, and what Paula Deen was making on her show this morning.

 

Just stupid shit like that that doesn’t mean a damn thing to anyone else, but I wanna tell her and I know she’ll be excited about it. “Have you seen Mere?”

 

And I need to tell her how proud I am of her.

 

“That’s the important thing I need to talk to you about. She’s gone.”

 

I stop my intense scan of the room and stare at Trace. “Gone where?”

 

“She left a little bit ago and told me to tell you bye or something.”

 

“What?” Did I do something wrong? No no no, what the hell? She was smiling at me from across the room less than an hour ago.

 

“Yeah, you should probably head on back to your bus and get ready, cause Lonnie said they wanna move you out of here in the next 15-20 minutes and I know how you like to be settled and shit.”

 

Something’s going on. Trace is smiling, so…I don’t know. I guess I’m not in trouble but, but she told me this afternoon when we were making out on her dressing room couch that she wanted to ride with me to night. She also said she wanted to ride me, but…she’s a tease.

 

I sigh. Maybe he’s right. Maybe I should just go get some sleep. “I guess I should go say bye to…”

 

“They’ll understand,” he cuts me off. “Your momma was talking to me earlier and told me I had to make sure you had lights out by two or we’re both in trouble.”

 

I crack a smile. My mom is such a nerd. Sometimes she treats Trace and me like we’re still in 4th grade. Sometimes she still reminds me to say ‘thank you’ and ‘yes ma’am’. “She really said ‘lights out’?”

 

“Yup, had me rolling.”

 

I shrug. I hate to be like this. I hate to leave a party that’s pretty much on my behalf, but I guess if Mere did it and no one’s really noticed then it won’t be bad if I do it. “I guess you’re right. You know how I am.”

 

“Yeah, no one will think anything of it, though. It’s starting to wear down anyway. I mean half of the double act has already gone so…”

 

“But Courtney’s still here.”

 

“Oh…” He shrugs and I see his color drain from his face for a second. Trace has a hard time keeping secrets from me and right now he’s got a secret he’s not telling me. I don’t know if I should pry or not. If it’s about him and Courtney I’m not sure I even really wanna know. I know I’m dick about that situation and I know I’m a dick to her. But I don’t really care. From the moment I met her I had this really bad feeling, this gut-wrenching dread like she was gonna bother me or fuck something up for me. It was the same feeling I just got from that guy that was talking shit. I trust my gut, it’s never failed me.

 

It hasn’t tonight and I don’t think it will with her. I don’t know what it is, but I don’t like it and I don’t like her. She’s gonna fuck up somewhere along the way and I just hope it’s not so bad that it hurts me. And I hope it doesn’t destroy Mere.

 

No one is gonna make me start liking her. I’ve tried to keep my distance, but it’s so fucking hard when she’s always fucking staring at me or Meredith. It’s creepy.

 

And I don’t like it.

 

And the fact that Trace is like dating or, or fucking her or something. Well, that just proves to me that he needs to get out more, that Elisha messed him up and that I need to do whatever I can to help him get back away from Courtney and on to the next hot chick.

 

He needs a girl like Mere. Maybe a little more edgy, but a girl that’s cute and sweet and sexy and loyal.

 

And fun.

 

Courtney is the epitome of not fun.

 

“I don’t know. You go on and get on your bus and I’ll figure out what’s up with her. Lonnie’s right outside the door waiting.”

 

Why the hell is Lonnie outside? Something’s going on. I hate surprises. And he knows that shit.

 

“You’re up to something Ayala.”

 

He cracks a smile, the color back in his face now. “It’s not me you should be worried about.”

 

“What…”

 

He takes a sip from his glass and shrugs. “I didn’t say anything, ok?”

 

I’m quiet for a moment, putting together the pieces. An idea slowly starts to form in my mind and Trace doesn’t seem anxious or nervous, just insistent on getting me out to my bus. I smile. “She’s got something planned, doesn’t she?”

 

“I’m clueless,” he deadpans and then starts to grin himself.

 

“Alright, alright.” Maybe I’ll get to talk to her tonight. Maybe she hasn’t left yet. Maybe that asshole by the bar hasn’t ruined my evening. “So it’s worth it to leave?”

 

“Definitely worth it. That’s all you’re getting from me. Just go, ignore everyone else, and enjoy yourself.”

 

“Cool. I assume you aren’t riding with me?”

 

“I got things to do right now.” He laughs and starts to walk away from me, pointing towards the double doors. “So stop talking and I’ll see ya in Vegas.”

 

I shake my head at him, but I’m not annoyed. I take a breath and then high tail it to the exit. I’m starting to get a little excited, a little anxious, too. I really don’t like surprises, but if it has to do with just me and Mere and something she personally planned then I think I might start enjoying them.

 

Sure enough, Lonnie is sitting right outside the doors in a chair that looks incredibly too small for him.

 

“You have any idea what’s-”

 

He stands up and cuts me off. “I have my orders and I’m going to escort you to your bus.”

 

“Ass.” I glare and start to walk with him back through the underbelly of the arena to where the bus is parked. “You know I don’t like this surprise shit.”

 

“Seriously, I have my orders, that’s all I know.” I nod at him and realize that he’s tired, in a bad mood and wants to go to sleep. So I’m quiet and a good little soldier and follow him through a couple hallways out to the loading area. Crewmen are working on loading up the transfer trucks and I pull the hood from my zip up sweatshirt over my head, pull down the sleeves that were pushed up and stuff my hands in my pocket. I know I probably should have dressed a little nicer to this after party thing, but after wearing a tie and dress pants on stage all night I wanted to be comfortable. Mere was wearing this cute short navy blue dress. But it’s cold outside now, even in summer LA nights can be surprisingly chilly.

 

We get to the bus and Lonnie tells me to have a good night and waits outside the bus while I get on it. It confuses me for a moment. Usually I have at least one guard on the bus with me. Maybe Tiny’s already in here or maybe even Teddy, ya know, just in case my girl is somewhere on this damned thing.

 

I step up and see my driver sitting there reading a magazine and sipping on coffee. “So James, what’s this big secret?”

 

“What secret?” He doesn’t look up from his Newsweek.

 

“I hate you all.” I laugh and pull myself up onto the main part of the bus. It’s really nice, like I’ve always had a kick ass tour bus, especially since I went solo. But this one they made it just for me. All wood and sleek black interior. I wonder what Mere’s looks like. I haven’t even seen it yet.

 

“I’m taking off in 5, ok?”

 

“Cool.” Brennan gets down from where she was laying in the small booth near the kitchenette area. She’s wagging her tail and sniffs the floor then she immediately stretches in front of me and comes up and smells my shoes and looks up at me. I love this damned dog. She’s not as hyper as Buck and not as affectionate, but she just looks at me with such love and respect. I guess that’s something dumb to say about a dog.

 

And my mom told me it was dumb to bring “those two monsters” on a tour bus. I know she wasn’t being mean, but well, they are pretty damn big. Ha, knowing my mom she just wanted to take care of them herself. I just didn’t want anyone else handling them while I was gone, even my mom. I guess I’m turning into one of those crazy dog people.

 

“They been alright?” I ask James.

 

“Yeah, just hanging out.”

 

“Where’s Buck?”

 

“In the back, I assume.”

 

I look up, the back door is closed, which is strange. Unless of course, someone is already in there. No one else is in sight and I know Tiny snores like a mother fucker and I can’t hear a damn thing. It’s eerie, a little creepy and my anxiety is starting to get higher even though I know Mere’s probably back there. “Alright I’m heading to sleep, or at least attempting it.”

 

“Good luck…”

 

I look back over to James, he’s not paying me a damn bit of attention and Brennan has plopped herself back on the seat by the table. I glance up again to the closed door of my bedroom. I guess if something or someone bad was around then James wouldn’t just be hanging out and I know for damn sure Bren wouldn’t be falling back asleep.

 

I’m such a pussy. Why the fuck am I freaking out about this? I should just go back there ‘cause Mere is probably back there getting all impatient.

 

I step through my bus and get to the door and open it.

 

“Holy….”

 

Ya know, my girl is sexy no matter what she’s in. If she’s just in a tee shirt and jeans, or big sweatpants, or in nothing, or in those hot little dresses she wears, it doesn’t matter. She’s always beautiful.

 

But like, when you see her on your bed, in a black lace push up bra, matching thong and fucking thigh highs, well, you kind of lose the function to think properly. Man, fucking shit I have the sexiest woman alive. If I had a camera I’d take a picture.

 

I stare at her and move the hood off my head. I close the door behind me and latch it so that I can lean against it and watch her. She’s just laying there with her legs bent to one side and her hand over her stomach, covering her sexy little navel. Her hair’s pulled back off her face, and her eyes are closed and her mouth…

 

Wait…

 

Her eyes are closed.

 

I almost laugh. What the hell is she doin’ asleep on top of my bed dressed like that?

 

A bark comes from beside the bed and Buckley is immediately up on me jumping, tail wagging like it might fall off, tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. I laugh and push him down, patting his head and neck so that he’ll get off me and stop yapping and wake up my girl.

 

Too late. She yawns and stretches out fully on my bed, arms over her head, legs taut and toes pointed. She sighs and curls back up, opening her eyes for a moment before slinging an arm over her face.

 

I smile at her.

 

Then suddenly she jumps up. Her eyes are wide and her knees are pulled up to her chest. She looks at me shocked, as if I’m not the one she wants to be there, staring at her. “Oh shit.”

 

“What?”

 

She pouts and sinks down against the bed, pulling a pillow over her face and moaning, “I fell asleep.”

 

“It’s ok.” I step forward and trip a little. I look down and see a pair of extremely high slip on stilettos. I bend down, pick them up and raise an eyebrow at her as she put the pillow back where it was.

 

“Ughhhh,” She hits the mattress and Buckley jumps up on the bed, thinking that her motion was an invitation to get on the bed. “Justin I was supposed to seduce you!”

 

“Really now?” I smile at her and take off my sweatshirt. It’s hot as hell in here and I know for damn well it’s not because the heat’s on. Seeing her like that was like automatic hard-on for me. I know she’s sleepy now and I know she’s probably not interested, but damn. I gotta do something.

 

“I just got sleepy.”

 

I go and lay beside her on the part that Buckley hasn’t claimed for his on. I lie on my stomach and sit up a bit leaning on my arms, looking down at her. “Hmm, someone did work their cute little ass off tonight.”

 

She sighs and her frown turns into a smile and she curls up towards me. Yes. This is what I want. This is what I’ve been craving all fucking night. Just her and me. “Makes two of us. You did so good. Oh my god, I watched most of the second set that I could and oh lord…I just fell in love with you again. You’re so hot.” She latches her arms around my neck and I lean in to kiss her, laughing.

 

“You’re silly.”

 

“What time is it?” She’s looking directly in my eyes and I find myself staring back.

 

“Time for you to sleep.”

 

“Nooo…” She whines and bites her lip at me. “I took a nap, I’m rested now.”

 

I’m not so convinced that that’s not a lie. When I walked in she was pretty much knocked out. I’m starting to feel it weighing on my shoulders as well. “Mere…”

 

“Please, let me do this. I want to show you that tour will be fun, that it’s worth it.”

 

“Whoa, whoa…hold up.” I pull back from where she’s pulling me down against her and I sit up on my knees and then move so my legs are hanging off the side of the bed. “What?”

 

“I want to show you that being with me on tour is worth it.”

 

“Mere, no…no.” I stand up and shake my head, kicking off my shoes. Ya know, I think I really fucked up with her at one point. The whole Miami thing was me just being a scared, pathetic jerk, but I should have handled the fact that we were touring together better. I can’t help it, though. I’m a cautious guy and, and I hate knowing that the way I acted about it makes her so insecure. I’m not leaving her, I don’t doubt her. Sometimes I just doubt myself. I don’t wanna hurt her. God, that’s like the worst thing to do. I know, I know she knows I’m not perfect and I know she accepts me for my flaws and everything but, but I just don’t wanna let her down.

 

She’s got all these expectations and I want to meet them and I want to fulfill them for her. But what if I can’t? Or what if I fail?

 

I don’t know. Being with Mere is fantastic. Don’t get me wrong, I love her and she makes me feel incredible.

 

But being with her is letting me realize how fucking jaded I really am.

 

“Look, we need to talk about this.”

 

“About what?” She’s anxious now. I don’t even have to look at her. I can hear it in her voice. She thinks she’s fucked up something. I really hate this.

 

The last thing I ever, ever want her doing is using sex to achieve some goal. I don’t want her to think she has to do that with me to make me happy. I want it to make her happy, too. I want it to be about us, not just about me. Ugh, I’m starting to feel nauseous. I shouldn’t have had those few beers during and after the show, especially since I didn’t eat much supper.

 

“I…I want to be on tour with you.” I turn and stare at her and go and turn off the TV she had on. It was on mute, playing the Real World or something. “You don’t have to do this to prove something to me. I want you to do this ‘cause you want it.”

 

“I do…I really do.”

 

I sigh. I don’t know if maybe what she said earlier was misunderstood or misinterpreted or something. I’m still trying to learn when she’s really happy or when she’s really concerned and when she’s masking it. Sometimes she does that with me. She’ll mask her feelings and frustrations and emotions ‘cause she doesn’t want to bother me. Sometimes I feel like she thinks everything else in my life takes a priority to her, as if she’s some nuisance. As if her having a bad day is a hindrance to mine. I don’t want her thinking that at all ‘cause it’s not. I really do love her and she’s one of the most important things to me.

 

Maybe I’m over reacting. Maybe I’m too sensitive.

 

I know I’m over cautious, but sometimes I think she is, too. I think she’s just as afraid of losing me as I am of her and I think she sacrifices a lot of that fear just so she doesn’t worry me. We’re both too far in it now. There’s no backing out or ending it now, not without a broken heart and a fucked up mind.

 

This isn’t gonna work. Me standing here staring at her, watching her look down at her nails, unsure of what’s going on between us. I know that I gotta change this. She planned this tonight, she set it up. She got Trace and Lonnie and James and probably a lot of other people in on it. She wanted to spend time with me and here I am trying to read too much into stuff.

 

I’ve been looking for her all night and now I get her and I don’t do all those things I’ve been craving to do all night.

 

I take a breath and undo the belt of my jeans, passing her a small smile, taking the initiative to change this night around. “I was so proud of you tonight. You sung me out of the water on ‘Stand Alone’.”

 

She looks up at me. A smile’s on her face, a genuine pure smile. I gotta stop reading into everything she does. I gotta realize that sometimes she might just want to be with me and love me and that there doesn’t have to always been some other motive going on. “And you about danced me to death on ‘Look Your Way’ and ‘Love Stoned’.”

 

I laugh and drop my jeans to the floor, stepping out of them and picking them up so I can throw them over the chair in the corner near the small closet. I see her duffel bag with her name embroidered on it is laying there in that chair. For some reason that makes me smile. Makes me realize that she’s gonna ride with me to Vegas, that she has plans to spend time with me. “Hey, you about had me humping you on stage during ‘Love Stoned’.”

 

She giggles when I get on the bed and start crawling up towards her. “I just did what we practiced.”

 

“Yeah, about two inches closer than we practiced. We practiced it professionally…you made it personal, missy.”

 

“Did you like it?” She whispers, giving me a shy look.

 

“Mere…” I sigh and pull her against me when I lay down beside her. I hold her close to me, touching her soft skin and looking down at her. I just, I suck sometimes. And no matter what I try to do, I still sometimes have to talk thing to death. That’s what I’m doing now. “I am excited to be on tour with you. I know…I know I made you doubt that, but that was just my stupid insecurities. I don’t wanna lose you and I don’t want drama for us and especially on tour cause tour seems to just make all the bad stuff worse.”

 

“But I have faith.”

 

God, she’s sweet as everything.

 

“I…I do, too. I realize that now.” I lean in and kiss her for a moment. “And…and I love you, you know that right?”

 

She nods and leans into me, moving her leg around over my hip and pulling her body flush against mine. She’s got this look in her eyes and she kisses me for a moment and pulls back sucking on my bottom lip a bit.

 

Damn.

 

“You’re so fucking sexy,” she growls out to me in a quiet voice.

 

“Ok, random princess.” I laugh at her but she doesn’t laugh back and I figure she’s tired of playing around. She looks like she wants something and that something, I think, is me. I fall into her. I kiss her hard. She tastes like she always does, minty and clean and sweet. I move so I can lay on her and press my dick into her like I know she loves. I’m such a moron sometimes. Here I was trying to get all serious with her and she was passing me the ‘fuck me now’ look and her nipples are sticking out through the lacy material of the bra and now she’s got her hips all rubbing roughly against mine.

 

I forgot how hot having sex on a tour bus was. And I’ve never done it with Mere.

 

She’s breathing hard. Fuck girl, you want this don’t you? I start kissing her neck and she’s gripping my shoulders. I should probably get out of this tank top the way she’s pulling at the straps.

 

Suddenly her body starts to shake. I pull back a little thinking that if she’s about to come that’s seriously insane. What was she doing before I came in? Sure as hell not sleeping, then. I look at her face and there’s a bright smile and her eyes are closed.

 

Suddenly they open and she jerks up fast, almost hitting my head. ““Ow!” I pull up and look back at the end of the bed. Buck is there licking her feet.

 

“He just bit me a little.”

 

I laugh at her and he starts gnawing on her heel a little bit. She jerks her feet up and he snorts. What a dumb dog. She laughs and laughs that infectious laugh she gets. Sometimes something silly will happen and she’ll just laugh for hours about it. I mean sure, sometimes shit is funny but sometimes the most random thing will put her in a fit of giggles. It’s sexy. Suddenly, she stops laughing as hard and latches her arms around my neck and kisses me hard, pulling away and whispering, “Kick Buck out.”

 

“Hmm?” God, she tastes good. It makes me wonder. Ya know, there’s something I’ve never done for her. I wonder…I wonder what she really tastes like.

 

“Take him outside and then give me a minute and walk back in here and let me start over…ok?”

 

I grab her ass and smack it lightly, saying to her and biting down on the tip of her nose lightly. “Sneak.”

 

I do what she asks and stand up and readjust myself so if I go and James happens to turn around he won’t see me with a hard on. That’d be awkward. I open the door and click my tongue against my teeth and Buck gets down from the bed and immediately goes towards Brennan and starts smelling her ass. She looks unamused.

 

Both dogs lift their heads when James cranks the bus and then sigh and curl up together. I lean against the wall right outside my bedroom and wait a moment until I just can’t stand it. I doubt I give her a minute. Probably 20 seconds, so I hope it’s enough to do whatever she wanted.

 

She’s on the edge of the bed. Heels on her feet. Legs crossed. Pout on her lips. Sexy fucking look in her eyes. She’s smiling at me. “Good evening Mr. Timberlake…” She says in a low voice.

 

I shut the door behind me again. “Well hello Miss Craven.”

 

She pats the space beside her. “Won’t you come here and rest yourself after a long night at work.”

 

I bite my lip, but it doesn’t work and I start laughing softly at her. What the hell is she up to? “You’re cracking me up.”

 

“Hush! Just come here, dammit.” I love it when she’s like that. When she gets all pretend frustrated. It’s cute as hell.

 

I walk towards her and lean over her, pinning her back against the bed. I move my lips down over her breasts and kiss her cleavage before looking up and saying, “Mmm, hey…”

 

She slides up further on the bed and pulls me with her, wrapping her legs around my hips. “I wanna have sex all night.”

 

“Me too.” I say matter of factly and then pull back a little bit and sit on my knees in between her legs. She’s laid out all in front of me and I honestly can’t believe I’m about to say what I am. But sometimes I think I just need to say this shit, just so she knows I’m thinking about her, too and that I’m not solely concerned with my dick. “But I remember someone complaining earlier today about three call-in spots they have to do tomorrow morning. And when we get in Vegas I have a lunch meeting with Johnny.”

 

“Please…” She begs.

 

I lean back down against her and run a finger over the lace strap of her bra. God, she looks so good. “I have a feeling neither of us are gonna be able to stay up too late.”

 

Her pout turns into a small smile and I feel her hand run over my head in a very loving, soothing manner. “Are you coming down from it?”

 

That’s one thing I love about her that I think makes our bond, our relationship really strong. She knows exactly what it feels like. I mean I’ve dated lots of different girls in my life in lots of different lines of work, but Mere she like, she knows what it feels like to be on stage, to sing your heart out, dance your feet off and come off the stage feeling like you could do anything. It’s this adrenaline rush that doesn’t die down. It’s like a drug, like being high or something. And then about exactly two hours after you step off that stage, you start losing it and losing it and it starts sliding away fast. It explodes when you go on stage and then two hours after you’re off it suddenly turns flat.

 

She can just look at me, or hear my voice and know that I’m starting to get flat. Meredith was probably crazy hyper and enthused at that party, talkative, smiling, happy to be there. I saw her, I know she was. She came back here all excited, energized got on her little outfit, got set up. Probably turned on the TV to waste some time, to try and stop her mind from reeling so much, and then she got on the bed.

 

And suddenly she went flat.

 

I’ve been there before. Even with your best intentions and promises, even when you think an hour before, ‘oh man I don’t know how the hell I’m gonna be able to sleep tonight’, suddenly you just pass out. It’s weird. It’s not a bad feeling, just strange and hard to explain.

 

But she gets it.

 

“Starting to…” I smile at her, liking the way her fingers feel against the back of my head. “Layin’ in bed with you is relaxing.”

 

Her smile is easy and she leans in to press her lips against mine and I kiss her back. She wraps her arms and legs around me and pulls me down hard against her. Her kissing is slightly sloppy and slow which means she really is tired. I hate to push her, but I guess she wants it. And sometimes tired sex is the best, when you’re all just slow and you can barely even thrust and you’re just laying there kissing, your body inside of hers.

 

But so is full-on crazy energized sex, when you’re scratching and screaming and grunting at each other. Ha, that kind of sounds kinky, but it’s the truth. I wanna have that with her ‘cause we haven’t been really able to spend a lot of time together the past week. It’s why I got everything planned for Vegas like I do. So we can go out, so we can get piss drunk, so we can come back to the hotel and actually be able to do what she wants, to have sex all fucking night. I even talked to Teddy about her schedule the day after all this, cause I didn’t want to have to talk to Courtney, and she doesn’t have an early morning that day, so me and her can sleep in together. Maybe have breakfast in bed and all that romantic stuff.

 

I haven’t been able to do all that kind of sappy, love relationship stuff with her, and I want to ‘cause, well, I think she’ll like it. I think it’ll make her feel special.

 

Like, I’ve got it set up so tomorrow when we get there and I have to be in my meeting all afternoon she’ll be able to go to our room and there’ll be a bubble bath and roses for her, ‘cause I know how she is. She’s told me the one thing she hates about traveling is how gross she feels afterward. And I got it so she can go spend time at this really nice spa, get a massage or a manicure, or whatever the hell she wants.

 

So when I come back that evening to spend time with her she’ll be refreshed and relaxed and happy. I like doing stuff like that for her. I mean, I even booked it myself. I didn’t have Trace do it for me. It kind of thrilled me doing it myself, doing those exciting little things like that for her.

 

“Speaking of…” I pull back for a moment and look down at her, she’s pinned underneath me, but she doesn’t look uncomfortable and she looks happy to be there. “I wanna ask you about something.”

 

“What?”

 

“What’s your schedule like in Vegas? Like besides the show, do you have promo?”

 

Her fingers run over my shoulders and she is staring at my neck. “I have a couple of interviews I think sometime in the next few days. And we have that stupid club appearance to do together. Nothing major.”

 

“Good.” Her eyes move to look into mine. “I wanna spend time with you, Mere. I wanna do things together. I kind of booked us a room for our stay, I hope that’s ok.”

 

She stares at me and starts to sit up. She looks confused. “What?”

 

“Well, I figured after being on the road you’d need a night to relax so I got us this room that they’re gonna specialize for us, instead of the regular rooms the tour sets up. It’s gonna be like romantic and shit.”

 

“Specialize?” Her eyes are tired, but their sparkling and excited.

 

“I’m not telling you everything, but just don’t plan a lot of stuff ‘cause I wanna take you out. We don’t get to go out much just me and you, hell I don’t even know if we have yet. And I wanna go gamblin’ with your fine, lucky ass. Have you blow on my dice and all that shit.”

 

She scrunches up her nose. “You make it sound dirty.”

 

“Maybe it is.” I laugh at her and kiss her briefly.

 

“You really wanna do all that with me?” What the hell girl? Of course I do.

 

“You’re my woman,” I say to her. I guess it’s kind of vulgar, but I fucking love lying down on top of her. Like she just fits there. Not to say that like ‘oh that’s her place’. I don’t wanna be an asshole. But like she’s comfortable there and her body feels so fucking good against mine. “And I think after all the shit that’s been going on lately we haven’t really gotten to spend alone time together, not like real quality time. We’ve been so busy with promotion and practice. It’s like I’m with you and around you, but I still kind of miss you.”

 

She’s smiling so big and she latches her arms around my neck and pulls me closer. “I’m here right now.” She kisses me hard and when she pulls away she starts to move in for my jaw, knowing once she starts kissing the corner of it near my ear, I’ll be putty in her hands.

 

“That you are,” I say to her and move so that we’re on our sides. I run my hand down over her side to her hip and then behind so I can grab her tight little ass. I eye her outfit. “God damn girl, where’d you get this little thing?”

 

“If you keep secrets about Vegas, I get to keep secrets about my special stores.” She bites her lip. Fuck I wanna do her.

 

“Ok, ok…” I smile at her and move my finger along the top hem of her panties, across her lower stomach. “Are there more where this came from?”

 

“Maybe if you’re good you’ll find out.”

 

“Speaking of being good…” I lunge for her and pull her body up over mine. I make her straddle my hips and I push my junk against her panties. God, I fucking want her. We haven’t really even done anything yet, I haven’t touched her or kissed her nipples or anything, but it’s like all this talking is foreplay. I can’t stand it. I move my hands over her breasts and run my thumbs over her hard little nipples. I fucking need her. “You’re gonna have to be good on stage. No more teasing the shit out of me and making me as horney as you do. If you do, I’ll pay you back by making you one sore woman.”

 

“Justin!” She smacks my shoulder, but I know she doesn’t care ‘cause her mouth was dropping when I was touching her breasts and she was breathing hard. “Don’t be vulgar.”

 

“Well…it’s your fault for getting me turned on.”

 

“I turn you on?”

 

I laugh and hold onto her hips so I can push up against her some more. Damn, I think all her teasing today is starting to catch up with me. From making out with her in her dressing room, to being on stage with her and having her grind her ass into my junk and just watching her shake her shit out there on stage and rock the house, to now…fuck I don’t know if I can handle this. “Are you seriously asking me that right now?”

 

“I want you…” She breathes hard and leans down and kisses me. “Right now.”

 

“Alright…” I smile at her and pat her ass so she knows to get off of me. She does and lies down on the bed and starts to curl up to me. But I move to get off the bed before she can start kissing my neck and grabbing my junk through my boxers like I know she was about ready to do. I have an idea. And I know I’m about to burst as it is, but I want to make her feel the way I am. I want to tease the hell out of her.

 

And I think she’ll like it.

 

“Where you going?” she asks.

 

“Just relax.” I take off my tank top and she’s just staring at me. I can’t help but smile at her a little bit before kneeling on the edge of the bed and moving my hands to her legs. I hope I have enough room to do this. I mean, it’s a big bed, but still, sometimes you need a big long space to actually do this.

 

I spread her legs for her and slide my hands up to her thighs, over her sexy stockings and grab on the strap of her lacy thong that’s over her hip bones.

 

“Justin…” She sits up abruptly, her eyes wide. “What are you gonna do?”

 

I smile at her. “What do you want me to do?”

 

“Oh my god…” She breaths out and I lean down and kiss her hip bone, pulling down on the lace.

 

“What?” I kiss slightly down her thigh and nudge her legs apart some more so I can get rid of her underwear and get to where I want.

 

I don’t have to tell her what I’m going to do to her. She knows and I think she wants it. Maybe she’s been wanting it. That makes me hot. “I’ve fantasized about this ever since I fucking met you.”

 

“Really?” I drop her panties to the floor and move my hands up over her legs again. God does she look sexy with the heels all piercing into the mattress, making her hips stand off the bed a little bit. “Tell me.”

 

“Well...” I watch her body react as she talks and keep rubbing her legs, moving higher and higher. I want her so bad, but I want to tease her, too and I hope I can hold on to my restraint while I do this to her. “Remember when, when it was like the last night we worked together? I remember I was wearing this skirt ‘cause it was really hot that day and I was at the controls, listening to play back and it stopped working and you were teasing me, telling me that I broke it and was going to have to pay all this money to fix the panel. So like, you crawled under the fucking desk to make sure it was all plugged and I just…I wasn’t being a good girl.”

 

I’m kissing her inner thigh now, taking all of her in. I’ve seen her before, I’ve seen all of her before, but never this close. Fuck. I want her to talk to me. I want her to get me going, even though I’m already there. I wanna hear about how she thought about me when we first met. “Tell me Meredith…”

 

“I just thought, what if you just like…started doing that.”

 

“Doing what?” I take in breath deep and I know when I exhale it tickles her because she jerks and moves her hands down trying to grip at my head or shoulders or something.

 

“Justin…”

 

I hook my arms under her thighs and splay my hands over her flat tummy. “You had no problem taking dirty to me in your dressing room.” I smile and bite down on her skin.

 

She takes a deep breath and leans her head down on the pillows, staring at the ceiling. Her arms are bent at the elbows, so her hands can reach back for the pillows and grab them. “I thought what if you started going down on me. Like down there on your knees and you just pulled my hips to the edge of the chair and spread my legs and pulled my panties to the side and...and…”

 

“Don’t get there before I even start girl.” I laugh and push her legs up a little so she’s opened up to me more.

 

Holy fucking shit. She’s just like spread right there for me. All for me.

 

“I wanted you so bad,” she’s fucking moaning and I haven’t even touched her. At first I thought it was just a crush and it was. I was so into you. You were the best guy I’d ever met. But you were also the sexiest. And like a lot those times I’d mess up singing were because I’d start looking at you and thinking about what would happen if you just came into the booth and grabbed me and stripped me and started doing me up against the wall all hard and rough and fuck Justin. I’d go home every fucking night and think about you and …”

 

“Damn girl, ok…ok…” I take my hand and start rubbing her real slow with my fingers. She sucks in a breath and lets out a moan that almost makes me come. I’m rock hard right now, and I seriously hope that I can do this without acting like I’m 13 and lose it in my boxers.

 

She’s got a point, though. I remember, funny enough, thinking the same thing during those same moment. I’d be looking at her singing, or sitting on the couch or at the controls listening to play back and I’d just feel myself go hard staring at her. And…and that time she was talking about, about when I was underneath the controls, she shifted her legs and fuck yeah I was staring at her. I barely got a glimpse of these red panties she was wearing. I stayed down there for a good minute just thinking about what I’d do if she was my girl, about how I wanted her to be my girl so I could please her. I ended up having to do something I hadn’t had to do in so, so fucking long. I felt like a loser when I went to the bathroom a few minutes later to jack off. I just couldn’t stand it. I had to get a release.

 

She’s fucking intoxicating. She was from the moment I met her. And it’s only getting worse.

 

“I’d think about you, too. I always do when you’re not with me. This past week I couldn’t get you off my mind. I was craving you.” I can’t stand it and I lean in and kiss the skin in between her legs and hear her moan. She’s so ready for me, warm and wet and fuck…

 

Oh fuck, she tastes sweet and light and…oh god. I’ll admit it I sometimes don’t like doing this. I mean I’ll be honest, in the past there were girls who I was a little scared to do this shit to. Like, kind of gross ya know? But not with Mere. God, she’s like candy.

 

She moans and her hands are immediately o

Chapter 27 (part two) by Mere
Author's Notes:
sorry guys, I didnt realize that this archive had a limit on word count and since a lot of my chapters are more than 9000 words I get in trouble.  Here's the rest, god this was the good part too!!
Oh fuck, she tastes sweet and light and…oh god. I’ll admit it I sometimes don’t like doing this.  I mean I’ll be honest, in the past there were girls who I was a little scared to do this shit to.  Like, kind of gross ya know?  But not with Mere.  God, she’s like candy.  She moans and her hands are immediately on my head, pulling me closer, spreading her legs as wide as they’ll go.  I smile against her and pull back and look up at her.  Her necks bent so far forward so her eyes can search mine.  She looks lost and greedy and sexy as hell with her bra and stockings still on.  “Just close your eyes and lay back,” I say, trying to calm her down a little. “I don’t wanna come this way.”  I smile at her.  “I’m just gonna get you going.” She groans and lets her head fall back against the pillows.  “I already am.” And she is.  I have to be careful with her because there are times when she starts bucking against me and getting that same high pitched moan that she gets when I fuck her real fast.  I guess it’s kind of a ridiculous thing to say when my girl’s got her hands on my shoulders, nails in my skin, and I’m eating her out with one hand running over her stomach and up to her breast and I got my hips turned so my hand can work on my dick, but…I don’t know.   What we have is special.  And I really do think my attitude about this tour and doing it with her has completely changed.  It’s funny how cautious I was earlier with her because she said that being on tour and being able to have sex every night made being on tour worth it.  But, in a way she’s right. When I’m with her like this it’s special ‘cause I know she’s my girl and no one else gets to see her like this or please her like this or spend time with her like this.  And no one, no one makes me feel like she does, no one makes me this crazy and frantic and needy and at the same time giddy and calm and in love. No one ever has.  
Chapter 28 by Mere

Meredith’s Bus, 7:30 am

 

I don’t know what it is, but the bunks on Meredith’s bus are a hell of a lot more comfortable than the ones on Justin’s. Probably because they are softer and the pillows are awesome, down feather I think. I guess the real test will come when I have to spend a night riding on Justin’s bus. I don’t know. I keep forgetting that the tour just started. For some reason, I feel like we’ve been doing this for weeks now. I’m not quite sure what it means. Meredith’s bus is kind of girly with all the pale pinks and blues and purples but it’s relaxing. She decided on some beach theme for her dressing room and I guess that idea transferred over to her bus as well.

 

I could use some time on a beach right now. Some good, quality, relaxing, alone time. I guess it’s funny or ironic or something. I’m alone right now, staring at the top of the ceiling, knowing that she’s on the other side on the bottom bunk. So I’m not really alone and yet I feel it, that lonely feeling surge through me. I guess that’s the thing, the worst thing, is feeling lonely when you aren’t really alone.

 

I thought maybe, just maybe when I got on this bus last night that she’d talk to me, at least protest, something, fight, yell. But she was already asleep and Jack was already getting impatient, ready to get a move since Justin’s bus and a lot of the crew had already left for Las Vegas.

 

I wonder what time it is now and when we’ll get there. A buddy of mine lives there and maybe I can call him up and we can hit the town. I’ll show him some of my new ideas I’ve been sketching up and…and I can stop thinking about that damn woman who’s only a few feet away from me right now. Fuck.

 

For as comfortable of a bunk this is I haven’t slept at all and that sucks because I have so much fucking shit to do today. Justin’s got this meeting and he wants me to make sure his girl is getting pampered and shit. What I really want to do is talk to Bryson, see if he thinks I have what it takes, get a second opinion. I mean I trust Justin and his opinions, but he’s not gonna really tell me if something is shit or not, at least he’s not gonna be super critical. He’s never been able to really shoot it straight with me if his opinion of something I’m doing is shit. Especially since all he’s cared about lately is his girl.

 

I can’t blame him, but damn do I hate it. I knew this would happen. I should have prevented it. I should have known the fucking second I met her that he was gonna fall all over her. I should have never introduced them.

 

I’m horrible.

 

But I’m bitter, so I don’t give a shit.

 

I’m tired and only a small percentage of that has to do with the fact that I haven’t been able to sleep. I’m tired of her. I’m tired of her bull shit. I know I haven’t made it easy but dammit neither has she. I sigh and pull myself up out of the bunk. I sit there on the edge and run my hands over my face, crouching over my knees and letting my legs dangle for a second.

 

Today is going to be rough.

 

I know, I know I’m an ass and I know I should have stuck up for her in front of Justin yesterday. But I guess, I guess I’m learning that I’m not as ballsy as I use to be. When I was with Elisha, I don’t know, I guess I could stand up to him, even though he always seemed to like ‘lish. Now, now I’m in work mode, now I’m trying to make things as easy as possible for him.

 

A lot of people would look at me as a little bitch, a little servant, but that’s not what it is. Justin works hard, harder than anyone else I know, and I know without me here his world would fall apart. I make him be able to have a life outside of work, to be able to do things with his girl, to have days off—to…to fucking eat Chinese food instead of what the tour company made that night if he wants it.

 

I guess part of me also always kind of goes into shock whenever he treats Courtney like shit. ‘Cause I don’t understand it. Yeah she can be a bitch, yeah sometimes she asks for it. But he hates her and I don’t know why. And, and I bet like if she really was my girl then, then maybe I’d be able to stand up to him. But she’s not, and I don’t really know what I’m supposed and expected to do. She’s my friend, but she’s not my best friend and she’s definitely not my girl friend.

 

I shouldn’t have kissed her either yesterday. When I get angry with her I, I just lose it. And the only thing I can think about is either throwing up my hands and forgetting I ever knew her or kissing her. I think about kissing her all the time.

 

It’s all I really want to do.

 

I push myself out of the bunk and reach into it to grab my t-shirt. I hate myself.

 

Maybe, maybe today with Justin and Meredith gone I can really talk to her.

 

I’m an idiot, we talk all the time and nothing happens. We come to an agreement and then it backfires and I’m painted like an asshole and a fool.

 

I shuffle into the front part of the bus and tug my shirt on over my head. When I pull it down over my torso I see that she’s there, awake, curled up in her pjs, eating some cereal and watching the Today show.

 

Great.

 

“Morning.”

 

I take a deep breath. Here we go. “Hi.”

 

She doesn’t look at me and I stare at her. She really looks cute all comfortable in pajama pants and a t-shirt, with her hair pulled back. Even in pajamas, even in the morning, she looks pulled together. But it doesn’t look like she planned it out. It’s just like she woke up and everything fell into place. I kind of like it.

 

I like her. There’s no denying it, no brushing it off as sexual attraction or rebound or something. I like her for her and I want her because I want her and nothing else.

 

“Look, can we talk?” It comes out of my mouth before I have a chance to reword it, to change it, to stop it entirely. I want to talk to her. For some reason I wanna try again, try to talk my way through this so we can come to some sort of understanding, even though I know it’ll probably come to some bust, like always.

 

“Trace…” She sighs and gets up to put her bowl and spoon in the little sink there in the mini kitchenette. “We always talk. We always talk and it’s fine for a week and then you do something that makes me feel pathetic and proves that you are an asshole and it’s bad again.”

 

“Fine.” Well that just pisses me off. ‘Proves that I’m an asshole?’ Ya know, I do need to talk to this girl. Maybe that’s my problem, I’ve skirted around the issue too much. I haven’t given it to her straight. Well fuck it. I’m going to have to, and if it means letting her in and letting her rip my heart out, then fine. It’ll be better than her accusing me and accosting me all the damn time. “You don’t have to say anything. I’ll talk. You can sit there, be quiet and listen to what I have to say.”

 

“I-…” She sits down across from me in the booth her arms crossed, the table separating us. I don’t let her speak.

 

“Don’t argue with me on this. I’m going to talk to you. I’m going to explain some things to you. Try to explain why I’m an asshole in your eyes. And don’t interrupt me and don’t get mad at me, cause I have to say some shit and you need to hear it.”

 

She opens her mouth as if to protest and I just stare at her. Her mouth closes and she looks down at the table, uncrosses her arms and she seems to almost cower in my presence, something I’m not sure I’ve ever seen her do. “I’m…I’m fucking terrified of you, Courtney. The reason why I’m so afraid to commit, I guess, is a lame excuse to you but, but I’m not over her yet. At least, I’m trying to be. Maybe its just I’m over her, but not what she did to me. I can’t have someone else do that, act like they really are into me, fucking want to marry me and suddenly like a snap completely feel the opposite. It’s hard being here on tour with you, with them. To be reminded every fucking day of what I had and then see what I want and know that all I have to do is commit to you and say yeah, you’re my girl. Cause that’s what you want, right?”

 

“I…” I realize I just rambled like hell to her and I don’t even know if she understands what I said. I don’t hardly understand it. She’s not looking at me still, still staring at the counter. But I guess I know that she’s listening and I know she understands. “Yeah, I guess. Hell, I don’t even know.”

 

“I can’t talk about this with Justin because, because of his weird, unmerited hatred of you that I don’t understand. It’s….it’s causing problems for me and him.”

 

I take a deep breath. It’s strange how, I guess, in a way, me speaking it is me finally realizing it. I mean, there’s a change there. I don’t know if it’s just a phase or what, but the past few weeks I’ve just felt like Justin’s not really been here. He’s getting too far wrapped up in Meredith and while I think she’s great, he’s gone from being woundingly cautious to overly oblivious in a manner of a few weeks. He puts on this front of cautiousness and easiness with his feelings for Meredith, but it doesn’t take a genius to see that he’s seriously gone overboard for her. He’s gone and this time if something goes wrong he’s not going to be able to pull himself back.

 

“You did talk to him though, Trace! Remember the whole ‘desperate for attention’ thing you told him?”

 

I rub my forehead and groan. I was hoping she would have forgotten about that. I should know better. This woman doesn’t forget anything. “He took my words out of context. I was trying to explain to him that in a way I felt like you were desperate for attention, from me or something, but at the same time you were scared for that much attention. He made it seem like you were going around acting a fool so people will notice you. Which is completely ridiculous! If anything you don’t put yourself out there enough to get to know people. He just took my words to piss you off and me at the same time.”

 

“God, why the hell are you even friends with him?”

 

“Honestly Courtney, I have no idea why he’s treating you this way. Usually if he doesn’t like someone he just ignores them.”

 

She laughs and rolls her eyes. “Oh he ignores me.”

 

I wish this conversation hadn’t turned to where it did. It’s making me feel uneasy. I hate talking about Justin behind his back. I’ve rarely ever done it, I don’t like it. But I gotta explain this shit to her as best I can or I’m going to get nowhere. “And at the same time he pays way too much attention to you and reads into everything you do. I tried approaching him about it the other day but it just turned into a conversation about me and you and him trying to talk me out of my feelings for you. Demanding that I was on the rebound.”

 

She’s chewing on her bottom lip now and kind of looks nervous, though I don’t know why. “Like I said, things are changing or have changed for us. Usually on tour, whether we’re with girls or not we’re living it up and even though it’s a hard and difficult time, we always have a blast. If the past few days have been any indication of what this tour is gonna be like, well me and him aren’t gonna be spending a lot of time together. I feel this thing coming in between us, I don’t know if he does or not. I don’t know what that thing is, but I do know that part of it is you.”

 

“Look, I don’t mean to make you-…”

 

“Courtney, you can’t help it. Something’s going on with him and I don’t know what it is. Maybe you’re just an excuse so that he can separate himself from me. I don’t know. I want what he has. I want a girl, Courtney. I wanna be that way with someone again and, and not just anyone. ‘Cause I get bored really easily.” She’s staring at me now and I find myself wondering why I didn’t just cut the shit from the beginning. Why didn’t I from the moment I met her and kicked her out of Justin’s suite at the Ritz go down and get a drink with her? Why didn’t I really show her my interest and tell her I wanted to be with her? ‘Cause I was interested in her from that moment I slammed the door in her face. The moment I did that I wondered why I did it, why I hadn’t been nice, why I had brought out the asshole.

 

I know why. I had talked to her on the phone and the professional front she put on intrigued me, bothered me and I wanted to know more.

 

“But, but I’ve never been bored with you. Even when I’m ready to hate you I…I’m not bored with you.” She smiles a little and I smile back at her. This is nice. This, liking each other and not trying to kill each other, it’s nice. “But…there’s something, I mean for all the good reasons I have to do this and ya know, like really fall for you, you’re not being completely honest with me. You won’t tell me about your past, you say it’s not interesting. And yet somehow Justin got some information on you and keeps rubbing it in my face.”

 

“What!” Her smile is gone, her calm nature and willingness to talk to me has flown out of the window. I try to recover and guard myself as quickly as possible.

 

“He has a friend that used to work for Whitham. He…he told Justin you were fired for disorderly conduct and threats to one of their owners. And now, I don’t believe it, but why is someone saying this about you to Justin? He’s not gonna just make shit up.”

 

She’s biting her lip and she won’t look at me. “I don’t mean to make you upset. I…I just want you to be honest to me and, and be honest to me about, about how you feel towards…ya know, me. ‘Cause I feel like I’ve kind of laid it all on the table. I’ve let you take control of this whole situation.”

 

She takes a deep breath and rests her elbows on the counter, running her hands through her hair and then moving them back to cover her face. “We’re both kind of pathetic I guess.” She says through her hands before moving them and looking out of the window beside us. It looks bright and dry outside. “Both terrified of each other even though it has really nothing to do with each other. I’m…I’m sorry I haven’t given you enough credit. I, I have been kind of selfish in this situation, assuming that your past drama isn’t anything compared to mine, or that it hasn’t fucked you up as much as mine has.”

 

“Why won’t you tell me about it? I’m…I’m not gonna judge you.”

 

“Because, Trace, it’s a door I closed and told myself to forget. Keith lied to me, he broke my heart and he turned me into a person I swore I’d never become.”

 

I nod and glance at her. “So the past has a name.”

 

“He was the son of the CEO of Whitham, where I use to work.”

 

It takes only a second to click and when it does I’m slightly shocked. “Oh…oh…Keith Whitham?”

 

She seems just as shocked at my recognition of him. “You know him?”

 

“Know of him, I mean he’s gonna be taking over his father’s business soon I guess. And Whitham’s a pretty popular entertainment marketing firm. I’ve probably met him at a party sometime or another.”

 

She rubs her forehead again as if the thought of this is giving her a headache. “I met him in a coffee shop in Manhattan and it was just one of those things where he saw I was reading a book he liked and we struck up a conversation. I had some job applications out with me and he saw them and it turned out he was in marketing, too. Before I could blink I was working as an entry level marketing advisor for their New York office. I didn’t really realize who he was until he came into the office one day and I saw everyone like bow down before him. I worked there for five months before he asked me out.”

 

“How did you go from marketing to PA?”

 

“I double majored in marketing and communications in college. I wanted to do assistantship from the start, but there are thousands of more marketing jobs. I don’t really know why Angie hired me, because I don’t really have any professional experience in it. But dear God, please don’t tell Justin that.”

 

She stops talking and after a few moments I find myself waiting for more of the story and she’s not giving it. “So, I’m assuming it was a bad relationship.”

 

She’s still not looking at me, now looking off into space down near the floor. She smiles distantly. I can see it now, how much hurt she’s been holding back, how much anger. Part of me stops blaming her for how she’s acted and the things she’s said to me.

 

“Well it wasn’t to start. It was really awesome. We had a great time together and did a lot of amazing things. I hadn’t really dated anyone while I was in college. I was too busy studying and working for tuition to have dates and friends and things. I guess in a way I’ve always been like that. I’ve always been a loner. It’s not something that depresses me. It’s just how I am, an over-worker who likes to be by herself. So when I had a good paying job that was fun and where I didn’t have to take much work home with me and there was this guy who was actually interested in me I just, I fell hard. I guess I was a different person when I was with him. I look back now and I realize that who I was before and who I am after him is pretty much the same person, with the same likes and personality, maybe just a little more jaded now.”

 

I pass her a look. She’s more jaded than me and Justin put together now that I think about it.

 

“Ok, ok! A lot more jaded. When I was with him I turned into someone different. I turned into the girls I always wanted to be when I was in high school, ya know? The cool, popular girls that everyone liked and everyone wanted to know.”

 

“And how did you become jaded after?”

 

“I told you…” I roll my eyes at her. She’s trying to go the easy way out, by barely giving me facts to a detailed and gory story. She should know me better by now. “Oh, well I guess we dated for a while. Like it was about a year and a half and I was completely in love with him and he claimed to be so with me. In my mind, at the time, it seemed to happen slowly but I guess it only took about a week or two. He went away for a weekend for some business trip and when he came back he didn’t call me. Of course, being the pathetic, in-love person that I was, I made excuses for him, telling myself that he was just busy. I guess I realize now that I didn’t want to be a nagging bitch of a girlfriend. But I shouldn’t have thought that way. If he was my boyfriend, if we were in love, especially after a year and a half, I should have been the first person he had called. That should have been my first sign.”

 

“I’m not liking this story already.”

 

“Oh it gets good.” She laughs and it’s bitter. “So me and my team had this big project due for this album design for a new country artist they were releasing in a few months and I had worked real hard on it. I mean, I guess I was really just the advisor for the designers and manufacturers, but I put in hours and days on that project. I remember being in the board room and just knowing as I was presenting it that no one liked it, which was odd for me. Usually everyone always seemed to love my ideas. And I noticed this new girl sitting in the back just like smiling at me with this weird victorious smile on her face. And she was, of course, gorgeous and she had this folder with her. And when I finished my boss called this new girl up to present her idea. I had no idea who she was or where she came from. Well, come to find out, she was the newest member of our marketing team and also my boyfriend’s new girlfriend.”

 

I manage my own pissed-off laugh. Typical asshole. And here I’ve been acting just the same. All she’s ever wanted from me is the truth, is honesty, is me not beating around the bush, me being honest with my feelings towards her. And I haven’t been. Even though I’ve tried, hard.

 

She wanted me to be up front with her, even if it was that I just wanted to fuck her and nothing else. And she saw through me. She saw that I wanted more and it pissed her off that I wouldn’t tell her that. “And the asshole didn’t even tell you.”

 

“I found out afterward, when the meeting was over she came over and introduced herself, claimed they had been dating for four months. She worked at the LA branch and wanted to move to NYC so Keith gave her a job.”

 

“Are you fucking serious?” I’m getting angry, really angry and I start to grit my teeth and I sit on my hands. The more she tells me the angrier I get. It’s funny though, I realize that my anger is the thing that really drills it into my head, really proves to myself that…that I really, really care about her. I want to protect her and make her happy and all that gay ass shit.

 

Fuck, I want her to be my girl.

 

“Yeah, didn’t even have the nerve to tell me to my face. So, I took a breath and got a little pissed off but kept it under control. I still don’t know if that bitch even knew I was dating him. But I found it really odd that of all the people there I was the first person she came up to introduce herself. And why in the hell would you state your relationship to someone else at the company? That just seemed unprofessional. I went to my office and was trying to think that maybe this was all a misunderstanding, maybe there was another Keith or something. He wasn’t in the meeting but Mr. Whitham had been and about an hour later his father came in and told me they were going with Hillary’s presentation, yes that was her fucking name, and that he was surprised I was so rusty and incoherent in my presentation. I was so pissed off and asked him right there if she got special treatment because she was his son’s girlfriend.”

 

“Wait, didn’t his father know you two were dating?”

 

“I don’t know. We tried to keep our relationship outside of the office, ya know? We didn’t want it to become this thing of gossip. At least, that’s what he said. I mean, I know some of my co-workers knew because we would talk about it. But I never went to family functions with him and he never went to any with me, even though I don’t spend too much time with my family, anyway. Keith met my brother once when he was visiting me.”

 

“This is like a Lifetime movie.” I bite my lip after I say it. That’s the type of comment that pisses her off and I know it.

 

“How do you know what Lifetime movies are like?” But she’s smiling at me and even though there’s a sad look in her eyes I can tell that maybe her sharing this with me is like the final barrier for us. I feel like this is some dark secret she’s felt like she’s had to hide and while it sucks and it’s not a fun story to listen to, it happens to people, more than it should and I think me hearing her tell it is good for both of us.

 

“Anyway, I just sat there for a while and finally got up and walked to Keith’s office, expecting it to be locked and him to be off playing golf or whatever he did. But no, he was there and he didn’t even have to say a damn thing. The look on his face was so fucking cocky and just he didn’t give a shit about me and I knew it. And suddenly all his little office trips to LA on the weekends and cell phone calls that he’d leave the room to take all started creeping in my head. I remember he slowly stood up behind his desk and walked around and all he said was “look” and I just couldn’t stand it anymore. I punched him in the face and the stomach, told him if he ever spoke to me or looked at me again I’d kill him, and then walked out of his office and left for good. I didn’t even get the shit out of my desk that was mine. I knew I’d be fired and I honestly didn’t care.”

 

I actually start to smile at her. I’m actually proud of her. And suddenly, the thought of her pissed off and not taking any shit, punching that jerk in the face becomes very, very sexy. “I knew you were a bad ass.”

 

“So the disorderly conduct thing comes from that.”

 

“What a fucking pussy! Couldn’t even just look you in the face and say to you that it was over.”

 

She sighs and looks right at me, shrugging, seemingly apologetic. “That’s why I get so defensive, because I want someone to be straight up with me. I want you to just be honest with me and hell, if you stop liking me just tell me that. But…I don’t know. I guess it’s unfair, and I see now that half the time you don’t even know what you want or how you feel about me. I don’t either. I feel like this could be really good, that maybe this could be the thing that gets me over him, that proves to me that not all men are assholes and that I can be myself and still be in a relationship. But most of the time I get too scared and I do whatever I can to push you away.”

 

“It’s so weird how people work. I mean, I know Justin’s had a fucked up past but he was able to push it away to be with Meredith.”

 

She rolls her eyes. “And now we have to deal with them.”

 

“Ya know, we…I don’t know, we could try to push it away, too.”

 

“Haven’t we tried?”

 

“Have we?” She stares at me. “I mean it seems to me that all we do is go back and forth. Never really making a decision.”

 

“Well then what would you like to do about it?”

 

“I’d…I’d like to be with you.” She blushes. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen her really do that. It fades quickly. “I mean, I think I’d like to be more than what we are now. I’m tired of this back and forth drama.”

 

“Me too.”

 

I find myself staring, unable to look away from her and smiling. She’s beautiful and I don’t just say that about any girl. She’s smiling back at me and even though I haven’t touched her this morning, haven’t tried to kiss her or anything, I feel like we just did something incredible. I feel like we’ve connected, as stupid as that sounds. I guess now, it’s like solid between us. I feel like maybe that it’s possible for me and her to work. Maybe we both aren’t so fucked over that this would just be one disaster covering another.

 

It’s been too serious and even though the idea that’s crossing my mind is stupid and childish and pathetic, it’ll make her laugh. I’m damn positive it’ll make her laugh.

 

I point to her satchel that’s open and laying between her and the wall on the seat of the booth. “Hand me that paper right there.”

 

“What are you doing…” She hands me the legal pad and I flip a few pages back to an empty sheet and pluck the marker from the dry erase board that is hanging above me. I now notice that written there in Meredith’s girly handwriting is “I am flippin’ awesome” and “Teddy is a weeb and ½” and a smiley face and a flower. I laugh and stare at her as I start to write. “Oh no, that looks mischievous.”

 

Suddenly, the bus comes to a stop and I realize that we must have been slowing down even though I hadn’t noticed it. I look out of the window and see we’re parked at a Texaco station. There doesn’t seem to be much else around, no fast food restaurants, just dry desert like land and the highway. Yeah, we must be getting close to Vegas.

 

“Everything alright?” I ask Jack.

 

He turns, stretches and shrugs, tapping his headpiece that he uses to talk to other buses. “Mere’s getting on to do her interviews?” He turns off the engine and opens the door to get some fresh air.

 

“Oh shit…” Courtney groans and pulls her satchel over to her lap and starts sorting through shit. “The stupid interviews.”

 

I barely get through with writing what I want and folding the paper up when I hear squealing outside. “Stop it! Justin…” Meredith comes hopping up on her bus in sweat pants and a tank top, her hair in pigtails. She turns and points outside, speaking in her fake authoritative tone. “I swear, stop it.”

 

I’ve seen the girl in the past few days shout some orders and I was kind of shocked that a tiny girl like her can be so demanding. Most of the time when she’s just playing around she’ll shout orders and you just laugh at her ‘cause you know she’s being silly. I think everyone kind of realized that she’s not just in this to be with her boyfriend.

 

She’s serious about this tour. And she’s a good girl.

 

I laugh when I hear Justin’s pathetic guilty voice. “I ain’t doing nothin’!”

 

I stare at Court and she rolls her eyes as they come up on the bus. They stop right in front of us, staring at each other. Justin’s grinning and she’s frowning at him. “I’m serious, you better stop poking me and tickling me or I’m gonna break your fingers. Teddy!”

 

The bus seems to give in to Teddy’s weight as he steps up on the bus with a heavy sigh, his hood over his head and a duffle bag over his shoulder. He looks about as tired of their antics as we are. Lord, he’s probably had to deal with them all morning. And night.

 

“Hey Jack, how much longer till we hit Vegas, baby?” Justin says in one of his many stupid voices.

 

Jack is yawning. “An hour or two ‘til the hotel.”

 

I watch as Mere plops down beside Courtney for a moment hugging her around the neck, much to her dislike. “Hey Court, have a nice ride?”

 

“Morning.”

 

“Do we have anything to eat? Justin only had a beer, bottled water and ONE Werther’s original.”

 

“Hey! I’ll have Trace stock up on food for us.” I fake smile at Meredith and she sticks her tongue out at me before talking to Courtney about how cute her hair looks. Justin moves to the side as Teddy barrels through the bus, moving directly towards his bunk. It’s amazing how in less than a minute, the quiet, peaceful, slightly romantic atmosphere that Courtney and I had going on is completely destroyed, turned into the Meredith and Justin show.

 

“Make a list and I’ll have it stocked before you ride to Texas.”

 

Meredith pouts at me and looks up at Justin. “But I wanna ride my bus to San Antonio…”

 

“What about my dogs? Your bus isn’t built for them.”

 

Courtney’s looking outside and I know what she’s thinking. She wants an escape. I want one, too. With her. Damn, they’re annoying. “Justin! Why did I even get this bus if you’re not gonna let me ride on it?”

 

He throws up his hands and scoffs at her before walking back into the back part of the bus where her bed is. “Fine, I’ll fucking ride by myself…”

 

She groans and shuffles after him, calling his name in that annoying tone that girls get when their boyfriends tease them. Funny how when you have a girlfriend you tease them just to hear that annoying voice, loving it. But you always hate it on every other girl that isn’t yours.

 

I lean into the aisle and glance back to make sure they’ve left us alone but all I can see is Teddy on his cell phone, putting stuff into his bunk. I turn back and pass Courtney the note I just wrote her. “What’s this?” She opens it. Her mouth drops and though she rolls her eyes at me, they’re sparkling. “Are you fucking serious?”

 

“Shh, don’t tell anyone.”

 

She laughs for a good while and finally shakes her head and says, “You’re a dork.” After a few moments she hands me back the piece of paper.

 

I open my mouth to ask her for real, not just say it on the paper, but Meredith comes back into view, opening up the cabinets above the sink beside us. “Hey Mere, comfy bunks,” I say, trying to distract myself.

 

“Thanks! I picked-…” He’s back again, pinching her sides and laughing. Damn, he can really be pathetic. “JUSTIN!” She turns and smacks his hands and his shoulder. “I’m serious. You’re a fucking five year old this morning.”

 

He wraps his arms around her waist and says in a low voice to her. “It’s what happens when you have sex with me on a bus!”

 

I glance at Courtney and cringe. She’s covering her eyes. It’s nice to have her with me, to be able to share in the frustration brought about by the disgusting love our friends have for each other. I almost wonder what’s up with Justin, why he’s saying shit like that, admitting to having sex in the presence of someone he dislikes and is so suspicious of.

 

Meredith pushes at him, “Ew, shut up!”

 

Courtney speaks up and I’m thankful. I think she can tell that this is as uncomfortable for me as her. She perfectly gives Meredith a diversion. “You wanna get ready for your phone-ins out here or in the back?”

 

“In the back, AWAY from HIM!” She pushes Justin away and though she’s frowning at him I know damn well she’s not mad at him and we’ll probably have to listen to them have sex before we get to Vegas. At least maybe we’ll be able to talk some more. Courtney gets up to leave and she follows Meredith.

 

I hear a door slam shut and I look up at Justin. He looks tired, already. I know promotion has been hell for him the past few weeks but shit, we haven’t even started touring yet. Sometimes he…well I guess I sound like his mom or something, but he doesn’t take care of himself very well on tour. It’s not that he overworks himself or goes partying every night. I guess it’s hard for him to sleep sometimes, sometimes he forgets how much sleep he really needs, how much food he needs.

 

It’s almost like he’s a grown-ass baby.

 

I don’t know. Maybe I’m being too harsh. I guess I just don’t want to see him make himself sick again, like he always does when he’s on tour.

 

“You’re an ass.”

 

“Eh, I’m just messin’ with her. She likes it.” He opens up the cabinet she was looking in and pulls out a box of Lucky Charms, chanting to himself. “Hell yes…”

 

I finally get the chance to open up the paper Courtney handed back to me and I start to smile really, really big. I had wrote her a note asking if she’d be my girlfriend with a yes and no check box. Hell if Justin can get away with continually annoying his girlfriend, I can write Courtney a stupid, immature little note. I know, I know I’m a fucking loser but hell, it got her to smile and I figured she’d find it cute and sweet.

 

And…apparently she did.

 

“What? What’s that?” I quickly fold the paper back up and tuck it close into the center of my palm. I shake my head at Justin who’s staring at me with a weird expression. He sits down where Courtney used to be, his hand stuck down in the box of cereal.

 

“Nothing…”

 

I don’t know where she found a pen because I didn’t see her write on the paper. I just saw her read it. But there it is clear as day.

 

Courtney Dawson played my silly, childish, little game of note writing.

 

And she checked yes.
Chapter 29 by Mere

Chapter 29

 

2:06 p.m., La Mansion Del Rio Hotel gym

This is probably really gross to say but, well, it's the truth. My cootchie kind of hurts. Cootchie…God, I'm so immature. Sorry but saying, "My vagina is in pain" sounds like I'm at the gyno or something. Anyway, I'm riding the stationary bike with the girls in the gym here at our hotel in San Antonio and it's not helping. I swear sometimes it's like damn Justin. He was drunk as shit last night, well so was I. We kind of had a private drinking party after the show, and I guess all that champagne and whatever else that
drink was he was pouring for me are the reasons why I didn't realize until now how rough he was with me.

But I didn't mind at all.

I bite my lip and try not to giggle. Monique and Abbie can always see right through me and call me out on my "cheese" as they call it. I don't even know why we're working out. All of us work out like hell on stage. I guess it's something to do. It's hot as hell out
today, close to the 100s, and I was hung over this morning and didn't feel like going outside and doing anything. Surprisingly, I have nothing planned to do today, no interviews or anything, and I don't have a show until tomorrow night.

Instead of an alarm clock or a violent knock on the door, I woke up to Justin snoring. He doesn't normally snore but if he drinks the night before it's like a fucking fog horn in the morning.

We need to slow down, though. I love partying with him and goofing off, but ever since Vegas we've kind of gone overboard. We got here late last night, but the two shows we had in Vegas damn, they were awesome. It's just getting better the more I perform. I can
just feel myself getting better out there, getting more confident in the show.

And the crowd just eats it up.

After my set and my songs with Justin were over on the second show in Vegas, I went off to the side of the stage and sat with Trace and danced and drank a smidge. I watched the show with him and a couple of Trace and Justin's friends. I don't know where Courtney
was. I was expecting her to be there but I don't know. She's been kind of disappearing from me lately. Must of found herself a boyfriend or something.

Justin pulled me onstage during LoveStoned, even though I wasn't in my correct outfit and we had been debating earlier in the day whether I was going to join him or not. He has this other version of the song where he just stays at the piano and had asked me if he could try that out that night. I didn't mind and told him to go for it.

But he didn't do that new version, and I realized when we were dancing that he had taken a couple of shots on stage because his breath smelled of alcohol. His hands were everywhere and he was smiling at me like we were the only people in the room. Maybe it was just the fact that in Vegas we really got to spend time together. We went on this insanely romantic date, we got to slow dance together and he was dressed all nice, and he had all this girly awesome stuff set up for me at the hotel and had the room all perfect. It
was so much fun. It's been a long, long time since I've had that much fun with anyone.

After the second show everyone was at this club that was full of the tour people and friends. It was such a fun party. Courtney was even there…drinking! The night before that party we had had this other club appearance but it was kind of boring. Justin was off
talking to people most of that night and I had to control the amount of Cosmos I drank because Access Hollywood and some radio shows were there or something. I got to dance with my man only twice that night and it didn't compare to the next night.

Now that was a great night and I have to say when Justin whispered in my ear on the ride back to the hotel that he wanted to go get hitched, his terminology, I couldn't help but smile and laugh and agree and make out with him some more. I mean now, I guess, it kind of makes me think about things, like, was he really just drunk or joking, or was there a part of him somewhere that was serious?

Yeah right, I doubt it.

Courtney and Trace both, magically, seemed to sober up in that moment and started yelling and trying to talk us out of it. We just laughed at them and went back to the hotel and fooled around before passing out. I told him when we got back since he proposed I had to give him a present, so I gave him a blow job. And during it I realized that I hadn't done this for him yet. I've never heard such strange sexy noises come out of my man's mouth. And his eyes were like fire burning into me as he stared at me while I did that
for him.

I guess that crazy mentality has followed us to Texas. But I can't keep this up.

As much as I love my man and I love partying with him, I was so fucking tired this morning and I can't keep living like a rockstar, when I'm just a wimpy popstar. I've only been up for like two and a half hours today, but I'm still exhausted beyond words. Normally I do a hard level on the bike, or set it to incline or something, today level two is difficult. I haven't showered and only had a banana to eat this morning. And it was only an hour ago when Monique beat on my door and told me to get my ass down to the gym.
Justin was still snoring then. Maybe they'll wanna go lay out later, or shop. That'd be fun, relaxing.

"Don't you feel guilty making everyone else in the hotel that wants to use the gym have to wait or go somewhere else?" I glare at Teddy who's on the weight machine in the corner, iPod headphones in his ears, smiling at me. When the girls came up to the room he was the one who had to make the phone call to see if we could close off the gym for an hour. Courtney's door was closed and he said he wouldn't mind lifting some weights, so I told him to let her be and we left her a note telling her where we were. I don't even know if she was in her room or not. I don't know where else she would have been.

"Shut up, nerdo." I point to the two girls on either side of me. "They're the ones that pulled us from our Maury marathon to come down here."

"Derrek told us you were getting fat," Monique says and I glare at her, even though I know she's kidding.

"You're both fired."

They just laugh at me.

I'm so happy with my dancers. Monique has been with me pretty much since my first album, but Abbie came on the beginning of this year, at the end of my first tour. They're both very different from each other but both very sweet. Derrek's been looking around for more dancers for me. Sometimes Derrek and Anthony come on for bigger numbers when we need guys. But the show is basically all about me, about my singing and my dancing. It's weird being up there with hardly anyone else to fall back on, I had more dancers last tour and that was for dinky crowds. Maybe if I do a solo tour next year I'll have a big dance team with me. That'd be fun.

I wonder if Justin is going to do another tour. Knowing him, he'll probably go overseas. I frown. I hope we won't be separated for too long. Or maybe we'll figure out our schedules so that I can be over in Europe with him. That'd be fun. God, that'd be fun.

Jeff Buckley starts singing from my phone that's resting in one of the cup holders attached to the front of the bike. I pick up the phone quickly and answer it. "Meggy McMegs!"

Justin's ringtone is his second single, and he hates that it's my ring tone for him especially since his cd isn’t even out yet, but…he's just gonna have to get over that. I thought the idea of "My Love" being played when the man I actually love calls me was very cute and sweet. He just gave me a strange look when I explained it to him and then started tickling me.

"What up bia?" Megan asks.

"Hung over…" I laugh and groan. "Yet for some reason I'm in a gym, on a bike, working out."

"Always fun. So I just thought I'd inform you that you drunk dialed me four fucking times last night."

"Four?" I only remember dialing her number once, I think.

"Yes, four."

"Oh god, there's no telling."

"One was just that you loved me and hoped that Josh was as good at sex as Justin."

"Oh god…" I start giggling. I'm such a ridiculous drunk. "I think I actually remember that one."

"The next one was you calling and singing "You Are the Sunshine of my Life" to me, and at one point Justin took the phone and we had a conversation about his dogs but I think he was drunk too, because he started rambling about how much he liked walking barefooted on carpet."

"Are you serious?"

She just laughs. "The next one you called me but I don't think you knew because all I kept hearing was some conversation you were having, I guess with Justin, about ordering pizza and how you wanted onions and he didn't."

Mmm, Pizza. I'm starting to realize how hungry I am. My stomach still feels a little weak, but a piece of pizza would make it feel just right. "Shit, we never did get around to ordering that thing."

"The last one was sent at 4:30 this morning and was you singing some song about ice cream and milkshakes. I could barely understand you because you were slurring your words and you were whispering and laughing."

I shake my head. I'm glad when I decide to embarrass myself I do it with someone who won't hold it against me. "Your own private concert."

"Right, lucky me." Clearly, by the sound of her voice, I woke her up several times last night and she wasn't thrilled. I know secretly she loves it when I call her. She's really the only person I drunk dial and I think it makes her happy to know that even when I'm out here having a good time, I still miss her and think about her. "Anyway, I just wanted to check in and tell you the countdown is on, two weeks to go."

That's right. Damn, I need her here, too. She'll calm me down, make me feel normal again. Touring can give you this weird attitude, and can put you in this fog and I know she'll bring me out of that and get me back to the normal, silly girl that I am. "I can't fucking wait. I'll call you later tonight cause I gotta dish some shit about the past couple nights."

"Please be sober when you do it." She's laughing but I know that she's being serious.

"I'll try, mom."

"Later freakazoid." I end the call and debate about sending Justin a text message to see if he's up, but I decide not to and put it back in the cup holder and then pick up my water bottle from the one beside it and take a sip.

"When is she coming up for the show?"

"In a couple weeks I think." I screw the top back on and roll my eyes. "Courtney's got it all figured out."

"So…how is that girl, like really?" Monique says. "Cause she's so…different."

For a moment I wonder if she's talking about Megan, but Monique knows Megan. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know. She just comes across really quiet and then suddenly bitchy and then ten minutes later she'll be off laughing with someone, usually with Trace."

Abbie pipes in, "Oh, they're totally dating."

"They're not," I say. "We've been there, I've asked and they're not."

"Well, I saw them kissing yesterday morning," she says, shrugging.

"What!" Ya know. Sometimes Courtney really pisses me off. I don't mind her dating Trace. In fact I think it's cute. I just don't know why she won't tell this shit to me. I thought she would lighten up to me a little, and she has I guess. She's not nearly as cold
as she was that first week, but I feel like I know nothing about her. She doesn't wanna explain to me anything about her past or what she likes doing or anything about her family.

I mean, there's one thing to be private and there's another thing to be sketchy. And I don't want to call her sketchy because I guess I know that it's not that she doesn't want to keep things from me, she just does because she feels like that's her job.

Maybe Trace has opened her up. Maybe she can talk to him.

I still wish she would at least let me know what's going on with them.

"She didn't tell you this? I thought you guys were close." Monique says and then kind of laughs at the end.

"Well, we are…" I sigh. "Kind of. I mean I'd like to be closer but she's really determined to try and keep everything super professional."

Abbie nods. "At least if she turns out to be a psycho she didn't try to be your best friend like Leah…" Her eyes shift behind me and she shrugs. "What?"

I turn and look at Monique and I can see that she was trying to get Abbie to stop talking. I guess I'm a little closer to her and she knows how fucked up Leah made me. But she doesn't have to protect me. I'm getting over it. I am over it.

I think.

"It's…it's ok Monique. I mean, I think I'm getting over it now, ya know? I've got a great life and great friends and a great career that surprisingly wasn't ruined as much as I thought it was and, in a weird way, I think it brought me and Justin together."

She rolls her eyes and laughs. "He we go…"

"What!"

"Speak of the devil…" I hear Abbie say and I look back towards the door in the back corner of the room behind us.

Damn.

He looks tired as hell but damn does he look good. I think I'm gonna tell his momma that he needs more basketball shorts for Christmas, that's all he ever seems to fucking wear. Oh fuck, his shirt is sleeveless and if he's about to do weights I'm not going to be able to contain myself.

I really shouldn't be this vain and shallow but it is not my fault my boyfriend happens to be so fucking hot.

He smiles as he passes us and makes his way with Tiny to the weight machine, where Teddy is.

"Hey ladies." He winks at me and as cheesy as it is, I find myself staring at him as he sets down the stuff he brought; water bottle, small towel, iPod. Then he starts to stretch.

It's kind of quiet, except for the sounds of the TV that's on in the corner of the room. Us three dorks put it on ABC Family because Step by Step was on, but now it's on to Family Matters episodes, which are still just as great.

Abbie and Monique aren't saying anything to me and I'm kind of glad because I'm busy staring at my man who's decided to start out with the bench press. This shouldn't be as hot as it is.

All he's doing is moving his arms up and down and breathing hard.

A giggle comes from beside me and I look over to see Abbie leaning over the front of the bike, sighing. "Meredith, I hate to tell you this but I think I have a crush on your boyfriend."

"Yeah, I'm pretty much in love with him, too." I look over and Monique is just staring at him.

I laugh. I know they're making fun of the fact that I'm staring at him, but at the same time they're being honest. It kind of makes me happy to know that other people find him so attractive. It shouldn't, but it kind of makes me confident. Yeah, Megan needs to get
here fast. I can feel my own ego growing.

"Shut up you guys."

"It's not our fault your boyfriend is super hot!"

"Shh, don't let him hear you. He's arrogant enough already."

"What are you girls giggling at?"

I gasp and he's looking at us, smiling through narrowed eyes. Monique expertly shows him the cover of the US Weekly she was reading. "Nothing…um, just Brad and Angelina…"

"You shouldn't be reading that shit." He says to her, but his eyes look at me and I know he's trying to tell me something in that look, but I'm not sure what it is.

I watch him for several minutes, how his arm muscles contract and relax, how he breathes, how his face strains when he tries to hold it for a little longer. I bite my lip. I've seen him look like that before, but not while lifting weights. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I shouldn't want us to stop partying like we have been. I love being with him. He makes me feel good, not just physically, but about myself. Like it's sexy and hot when we're making love, but it's also silly and I learn so much about him afterwards when we're all lazy and just laying there breathing and laughing.

Like the other night, we're laying there and I'm still reeling from it and I start thinking about how in the middle of having sex he called me "foxy girl". I started laughing and we just laid there cracking up for a good couple minutes while he was still inside of
me. And then he moved and it was like "oh shit" and we stopped laughing and started to get into it. But afterward I was laying there and I remembered it and I giggled about the "foxy" comment. He asked me why I was laughing and I told him.

He got all quiet and then said, "Remember that show David the Nome?" I just looked at him and he smiled and breathed out deeply, "I was obsessed with that show. I wanted to be able to ride a fox like that."

I never thought the words "David the Nome" would come out of his mouth less than 2 minutes after he'd come. But they did.

And I love that about him.

He's more random and dorky than I ever thought possible.

When I first met him I thought he was hot and sexy and sweet and the coolest guy in the world. Now I realize he's more of a dork than me, and I love it.

He curls out from under the bench press and sits there for a moment, talking with Teddy and Tiny about something. He turns his neck to scratch the back of his head but he notices me staring at him. I guess in a way, I stare at him a lot. Whenever he catches me I know I blush, even now, even after all this time. He always gives me this look in return, this lopsided grin that makes my heart beat faster.

I catch him looking at me sometimes, like at a party or at sound check, but he never blushes, in fact when he stares at me, well, that makes me turn red, too. I guess part of it is happiness but another part is slight embarrassment knowing that it's so obvious how
in love I am with him. I know sometimes I probably look like a little lost puppy or something following him around, always attached to him. I'm well aware that for most of Justin's past few tours he's been a bachelor and lived that bachelor life on tour, getting
drunk and high with his buddies, not worrying about any drama, banging a few chicks along the way.

But now I'm here, and I know his friends and the people he's worked with on the tour before and even the press and everything, they all treat him different now.

He's now doing arm curls, using a weight that looks like it would snap my hand off if I picked it up. He looks at me and sticks his tongue out.

I smile.

"Oh shit…"

I remain looking at Justin, but turn my head towards Monique. "What?"

"Read this…" A magazine is plopped in front of me on the bike controls. I slowly let my eyes focus and see the two page spread littered with pictures of me and Justin, bright orange letters at the top of the page: "Temper Trouble for JT" and under it in smaller black letters it says, "Why Meredith is terrified of her new love."

I stop pedaling.

They have pictures of us in Vegas holding hands, one of him kissing my forehead. There are two of us performing together at the concert and the rest…the rest are from when those assholes came to my house. I didn't think those pictures would ever come out,
especially after a week of hearing and seeing nothing from them. I guess they finally resurfaced. The pics they have of us at my house well, they aren't flattering. Justin looks like he's in a rage and I'm trying to hold him back. There's one where he's turned around talking to me, you can see how scared I am and it looks like he's gripping my wrist. He was, cause I was clutching onto him in that moment.

I was terrified then, but he wasn't mad at me! We…we were both terrified.

"Are you serious?" I say, and it comes out a lot quieter than I planned.

"You got room for me on the bike." I hear in my ear and I jump when I feel large hands on my shoulders. He immediately starts massaging them. I look up at his face and he seems concerned. Shit, shit, shit, shit! And it's too late for me to close the magazine
or throw it away.

"What? Or I thought we might be able to find someplace to take a little jog or something together…" He looks from Monique to Abbie, but their faces are about as bad as mine. Of course I don't like seeing this shit, but I know how Justin is. And I don't want him making this into something bigger than it should be. It seems that Monique and Abbie know how he is, too. "You girls are invited, of course."

"Ok…" I say and try my best to close the magazine before he notices the pictures of us.

Too late. Before I move my hand, his has snatched it from where it was resting.

"It's nothing Justin, don't worry about it, ok?" I touch his bare arm and squeeze a little, something that I hope will attract him away from the story and more to me. I smile at him and try to pass him a sexy look. "Where were you thinking about jogging?"

"This is bull shit Meredith." It doesn't work. He looks pissed and it's building. I see where this is going and I hate it.

"I'm aware. It's tabloid crap. Whatever."

He clears his throat and in a biting tone reads a part of the article aloud to me. "Despite their romantic romp in Vegas, Timberlake's controlling nature and explosive temper keeps Meredith on a tight leash. According to a source close to the singer, she's terrified of him. Even during run-ins with the paparazzi her fear of Justin is evident."

"Justin…"

He reads some more and then angrily throws the magazine on the ground and glares at me. "They're making me out to be some like, I don't know, crazy slave driver, like I lock you up and control you! They're making me look like fucking Tom Cruise."

"I feel the need…"

"The need for…"

I look at Abbie and then Monique. I know they have some weird obsession with Top Gun and Tom Cruise but they can't joke right now. My boyfriend is about to have an aneurism because of some stupid made up shit. "Guys…"

Abbie cringes a little and speaks up on my behalf. "Sorry girlie. It's just crap, Justin. It's kind of funny how untrue it is. If anything I think Meredith is the one that has you on a leash." Monique giggles and I smile at her, trying to thank her for trying to change the mood.

His arms are over his chest and he's still glaring at me. "How do they know so much about our time in Vegas, Mere?"

I rub my face with my hands. Thanks Justin, thanks for ruining a perfectly, normal, fine day. "Don't do this."

"Do what?"

I pull my hands down and let them smack down on the handlebars of the machine. I just stare at him for a moment. What an ass. He bends down, picks up the magazine and starts flipping through it, his back turned to me now. I shake my head and pull myself off
the bike, starting to grab up all my stuff. I look at Monique and then Abbie. "Sorry guys, I think I'm gonna go get a shower. I'm still feeling a little weak from last night."

"Yeah…" Monique glances at Justin and then looks back at me. "You alright?"

"Yeah, I just need to get away from him for a minute."

"What are you saying?" he protests and comes up near us so he can hear the rest of our conversation.

That's it. I'm done. What the fuck ever! I narrow my eyes at him, poke him in the chest and say in a low voice, "You need to calm down."

I brush past him and wave at Teddy who's looking at me concerned. Normally he doesn't let me walk alone in places, but in a hotel, if I need my space he'll usually give it. "I'm just going straight to the room, Teddy. You should stay and finish your workout."

I push through the doors. There's a hotel worker there. I guess he's standing guard by the gym with a sign that says "gym closed". He smiles at me. He's a nerd. He has glasses and gives me a cheesy smile and I feel like he's one of those Dungeon and Dragons
people. Even though he's probably in his twenties he still has really bad acne. He looks like he snorts when he laughs.

But I bet he wouldn't flip out over a stupid tabloid article if he was my boyfriend. I smile back at him kindly and turn left down the hallway to go towards the steps instead of going straight to the elevator.
I don't want there to be other people around. I just want to sprint two flights up to my floor, get to my room and slam the door as hard as possible.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm not angry, I don't think, just frustrated I guess. I don't need his attitude right now. I can't handle his…whatever it's called…patheticness. God, you're not use to it Meredith. You're still new, you don't know how to handle it.

Fuck you Justin, you don't know shit.

My hand is on the handle to the stairwell when I hear from behind me, "Hey, hold up."

I groan, roll my eyes and turn just in time to see him slow his jog down to right in front of me. I point a finger at him. "Now you back off. You were embarrassing me."

"What?" He seems shocked, taken back. He can't be serious.

"Are you gonna act like this anytime anything is written up about us?" I sigh heavily and lean all my weight so that I can open the door.

"You shouldn't even be reading it."

"Justin, it wasn't even mine and so what if it was? It's funny to me." I don't even look at him as I walk up the steps and I don't care that I'm loud and that my voice is echoing and that probably any other person could hear me in the stairwell right now and write about it in the next fucking issue of US Weekly. I just don't care.

"Did you hear what they wrote about us, you? I just don't understand how you can go from someone who freaked out because your friend said shit to not even carrying what's printed about you."

I stop where the stairs turn and look back at him. He's still at the level we entered, looking up at me with doubt in his eyes. "Justin, I wasn't freaked out about what was printed. I was freaked because someone I trusted and considered one of my closest friends completely betrayed me."

I stomp up some more steps and can hear him running up behind me. I know he took the stairs by two to get to me this quickly. Soon his hand is on my arm and he's turning me around and giving me a very serious look, one that sort of frightens me.

Not that I think he would hurt me. It's just that when Justin gets serious it's hard to get him to lighten up. He's made up his mind about something and there's no changing that. "Well, what if someone is betraying you here?"

"What!"

He eases his grip on my arm and shrugs. "The only people that knew anything about what happened with us in Vegas was us, Trace and Courtney."

Oh hell no. I roll my eyes again and go up the final flight of stairs. I wish he'd leave me alone. I can't stand it when he's like this.

"And Teddy and Tiny and most of our dancers who partied with us, and while we're at it, probably the entire hotel staff, and club staff, and the people at the…"

He cuts me off. "I don't think you're…"

I stop before I open the door and I get in his face, interrupting him right back. I know he hates this. He told me he hated it when I got in his face when I was angry, but right now I don't care. He deserves it. He's being a moron. I'm dating a fucking moron! "If you even bring up this shit between you and Courtney I swear I'm not talking to you for a week."

"Mere…"

I explode through the doors.

Thankfully my room isn't far from the steps and no one is in the hallway. I know he's still following me, but I ignore him for a second and work on getting the key to open up my door. I struggle with it for several seconds and finally he snatches the thing out
of my hand and does it with one try. That just annoys me more.

I don't want him in my room. I don't want this fight to continue. We need to separate, cool off and then maybe I can talk to him about it later.

I turn and find him close to me, closer than I expected. He opens his mouth and I shake my head and grip my fists at my sides. I don't want to hear his lame excuses. "Just shut up, Justin. I've had a fantastic past few days with you and maybe you're just hung over or grumpy, but fuck! You complain that I'm naïve and don't know how to handle press and yet when any little thing about us is said or printed you get all pissed off. You get that fucking temper they're talking about in their bull shit stories!"

The concerned look in his eyes immediately morphs into one that's angry with me. "Don't you dare."

"Or what Justin?" He doesn't say anything back to me so I turn, look and see that Courtney's door is still closed. I sigh. I need to vent to her even though she'd just be annoyed with it. I should just call up Megan, but I don't know. Sometimes I feel so bad
dishing all my shit out on her when she's so far away and can't really deal with anything. She's a great listener but she likes to solve things, and when she's thousands of miles away she gets antsy when all she can do is try to talk something out.

She'd go right up to Justin, smack his shoulder and say "get a grip".

I wave my hand at him and start to beeline it to my bedroom, hoping I can get in and lock him out before he gets there. "Go take your fucking little jog, I need a shower."

"Mere…"

I guess I'm not helping. I just keep talking, but I can tell he doesn't understand why I'm angry with him, why I'm annoyed. He thinks I should be just as weird about these stories as him, but dammit I don't wanna be paranoid all the time. I don't…I don't want to turn into him. And I want him to get better about it. I want him to stop being so freaked out when this shit happens. And it's not fair that he used to blame me for not being able to handle this shit when he was the one with the problem to begin with.

"No Justin, you make this a hell of a lot more difficult than it has to be. It's shit, it's comedy, it's fake. They take maybe one or two slightly factual events and turn it into something ridiculous. You dwelling on it and reading into it and acting like, hell, it is true, makes it worse. I know you weren't this way with your other girlfriends. Hell,
if you were this way with Britney when shit was written up about you two, then I don't know why she didn't break up with your ass sooner!" I turn around, march to my room and stop before I enter.

Great, now I'm a bitch.

I suck in a breath, slump my shoulders and turn around and go right up to him. He's not looking at me and I don't blame him. Fuck. I touch his arms and he tries to shrug me off.

Dammit, I didn't mean to say that. "I'm sorry…hey…" I move my hands up to his shoulders and then his cheeks and try and touch his face so that he'll turn and look at me. He just keeps his arms crossed and sharply moves his head away from my hands. "That…I'm sorry, ok? That was way out of line."

His eyes are vicious when he turns abruptly and looks at me. And if we weren't in a fight right now I'd probably tell him how sexy he looks when he's angry. But it's not sexy when you're on the receiving end of that anger. "I broke up with her, thank you very
much."

I sigh again and lean my forehead against his chest. He uncrosses his arms so I can lean on him but he doesn't hold me. I look up at him after a moment and he's looking at me now with a pitiful face, a "lets stop fighting" face, a puppy dog face. "Do you understand what I'm saying? Look what's happened. We were working out, making faces at each other and I was thinking how great it would be to come back up here with you and hang out and just chill and watch movies all day in our PJ's and maybe go out to eat tonight.
And suddenly here we both are, yelling at each other, stressed out…"

"Why are you blaming this all on me? Getting angry with me like I'm some horrible person?"

That's it. I roll my eyes and push myself off him and turn and march straight to my room, throwing up my hands and saying as I go, "Ugh, I can't win with you!" I take a breath and flip off my shoes, pull down my hair that's gross and sweaty and tangled and move to
go towards the bathroom. A nice, long, hot shower, that's what I need.

I just can't handle this right now. I know I need to work on that. I've always had problem of getting stressed out at the first sign of any negative emotion someone I love starts to show. My dad is so relaxed about everything but my mom has problems with high anxiety. Maybe that's where I get it from.

I take off my t-shirt and turn to throw it back into the bedroom but my shirt is caught by Justin, who's there standing in the doorway of the bathroom, still looking pitiful. I sigh and ask, "What are you doing?"

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to take a shower."

He licks his lip and then nibbles on them nervously, "Can I get in, too?"

It's weird, we act very, very differently, but neither of us can handle fights with the other one very well. Maybe we need to work on that.

Maybe we need to work on avoiding fights altogether.

"Ugh…" I growl and I curl my hands into fists. I can't stand this. I can't stand it when he gets like this. It frustrates me more than anything. I start to laugh a little bit. "Justin! Oh my god, you better stop it right now."

"What?" He's pouting and his eyes are wide and glassy.

"Doing…that…thing! Doing that face. Shit."

I run my hands through my hair. I can't handle this. I'm angry and I'm laughing. I need to calm down.

Maybe that's why I get so mad when he acts like this because, because I know that him being in a bad mood and him being angry and upset about something we can't help, well that frustrates me. Yet I know that I get frustrated and instead of preventing it, like I
should, instead of keeping a calm face, I go crazy, I get frustrated and mad as hell with him. I blame him for my bad mood which is unfair. He should be allowed to feel however he wants.

 

I guess I just get stressed because I don't like seeing him so stressed out about something
insignificant, or something I think is insignificant.

 

God, we're sick people.

"Here…just hold on." He takes a breath and walks back into my room and closes the door to the bedroom and then comes back, passes by me and starts to get the shower running. When he starts to undress himself I do the same, even though I'm not really sure I want
him in the shower with me. I need some time to breathe, collect myself and chill out and I don't want him like flipping a switch and trying to seduce me.

That's another thing that annoys the hell out of me, how he can flip his moods so easily.

He's naked, standing beside the shower door, waiting for me to get in first. I figure if I protest it's gonna cause more of an argument, so I strip down completely and get in the shower. I try to ignore him and get under the shower head so I can shampoo my hair, but soon he's pulled himself against me, arms around my middle, lips against my shoulder.

He sighs, "I'm sorry. I suck at life."

I allow myself to lean back against him. I hate that this feels good, that it makes me relax, that his skin feels perfect against mine. I hate not being able to stay mad at him.

I'm ridiculous.

"That's my phrase," I say.

I can feel him smile against my shoulder. "I stole it."

I turn in his arms and lightly pull away from him and reach to find my shampoo. I wonder if Justin will use it. Usually he just takes the soap and covers himself head to toe and rinses off. He could take two minute showers and be perfectly clean if he wanted. But he's doing something new to his hair. It's a little longer on top and still short on the sides. I asked him about it last night. He just got this goofy smile and said he was trying something new. I was too drunk at the time to care.

I lather up my hair and move so he can get under the spout if he wants, saying to him with squinted eyes, "It worries me when you stress out like this Justin. I understand it pisses you off. It annoys me, too. But you can either let it fuck you up or you laugh at
it and move on. Sometimes I'm afraid you're…" I take a breath and look away from him, his eyes are too blue and too intense to stare at sometimes. And him being completely soaked, water dripping all over his body is a dangerous thing to view. "You're getting really paranoid. And soon you're gonna turn into one of those mountain people with a garage full of duck tape and space food and have a big beard and shoot anything that moves within 100 feet of your front porch."

He smiles and puts his arms back around me, pulling me into the water with him. "Would you be my mountain woman if I did turn into that?"

It wasn't a joke. "Justin…"

"Would you?"

"No…" He's still giving me that crooked grin and I push him away. The shampoo is threatening my eyes. "Cause you'd be annoying."

"I'm annoying?"

I laugh a little. God, he's as ridiculous as me. He finally gives me enough space to get some shampoo out of my hair. "I think you know that you annoy the shit out of me most of the time."

It's quiet and for a moment when I've got soap running all down my face I wonder if maybe I just hurt his feelings. I know I did when I said the Britney thing, and later I'm going to have to make up for that, but he can't be so sensitive. We annoy each other, that's part of a relationship. He should know that by now.


I rinse my face off and wipe at my eyes, turning around and tilting my head back to rinse out my hair.

I squint my eyes open to see if he's still there and see what kind of look he has on his face. He's leaning against the wall just looking at me with arms crossed over his chest.

He licks his lips and I notice his eyes are locked onto my chest. "Can I take you out tonight and make up for me being a dick?"

I just turn, ignore the fact that he's staring at my boobs and grab the conditioner, saying, "I want Italian food."

"Ok." He's smiling now and finally looking in my eyes. He holds his hand out to touch my arm and tries to get me closer.

I let him pull me against him. "And tiramisu for dessert and lots of red wine and don't tell Courtney cause she'll complain that I have a show tomorrow and that it's fattening."

"I swear. It'll be our secret." He puts his arms around me again and leans in to kiss me.

"And no sex," I say to him before his lips touch mine.

"No sex?" He laughs a little and pulls back. "Did I annoy you that bad?"

"No…" I hold the conditioner in my hand but lean my head against his chest. I'm a moron. I should just shut up and enjoy him because he feels too good to stay away from him. Too good and strong and warm. And wet. And sexy.

I'm fucking bipolar.

"Just, we've been having a lot lately and you're wearing me out."

"Am I?" There's excitement and mischief in his voice.

"That's not supposed to be a turn on, Justin."

He licks his lips, leans down, kisses my neck softly and pushes his crotch against me before sucking slightly with his mouth. "Too late."

"No…" I push against him, teasing slightly. "God, just cause we're taking a shower doesn't mean we have to have sex."

I was joking when I said it but I guess my tone of voice came off harsher than I planned. The concerned, pitiful face is back. "Are you alright?"

And its back to being bad again. I'm not going to read that statement like my emotions are tempting me to. I know that he doesn't mean that to be "alright" I have to want to have sex with him. I just…ok Mere, breathe. I hate this. And I hate even more that I'm
just not letting myself give in, like I have so many times before.

I guess because this really bothers me and it's something that's been building up. And I guess because all our fights and problems before were when I was still trying to make sure that I had him, that he was mine. Now I know he is, I know he loves me, and that he's not going anywhere. And I'm not gonna put up with his bull shit. Plus, some of his bull shit worries me because I can see it turning unhealthy.

And if he doesn't get over it it's going to cause more problems than just arguments in a gym and shower. "No...I'm not. You're paranoid and anxious and that's not healthy Justin. And you're insinuating that someone we know is talking to tabloids and I happen to know who you think it is. And it's stupid. Don't go there. You need to get past that."

"Look I just, we both know Trace would never do anything. And I just don't trust Courtney like you do. You know I have my suspicions about her and nothing's gonna change that."


"Even if she's dating Trace?"

He sighs at me, but his voice isn't so sure. "We've been over this. They're just fooling around."

"Right. What if they're not Justin? What if they're like in love? I can't handle this. You're gonna have to try to get along with her because I'm tired of it."

Justin looks at me and just shakes his head. "I don't want to fight anymore, Mere."

"Justin neither do I," I plead. "I don't wanna stand here and argue with you but I don't know. You're worrying me. And we can't keep partying like we have."

Maybe I'm just tired. Maybe I just need to slow down. Maybe I just need to shut up.

"I'm sorry. We were in Vegas, I got caught up. I thought we were having a good time."

Now I'm just confusing myself and making him doubt a good time we've had and I'm being a freak. "Let's just shut up. I need to finish up my shower."

He's quiet and I'm finally able to condition my hair and get my body lathered up. We switch places and I realize we should have gone to his bathroom 'cause he has a double shower head in his. Oh well. I wait for him and when he's done soaping up, he rinses his head and I watch him.

I'm happy he's my man. I really am. He makes me feel good about myself and I guess the problem I have is that, that I worry about him too much. When I first met him I thought that he had it all together. I thought he was this together, confident, all-knowing
man. And I guess part of me still believes that. But there's another side of him that's worn down, confused, and paranoid and stressed out more than anyone I've ever met.

And it's hard to balance those two, and its hard for me to know which one is the true Justin, or if he's a complicated mix of both.

And that just confuses me more.

"Are we ok?" It's the confident Justin looking back at me, giving me a weird little look.

"Yeah, I just…I don't know. Maybe now I'm the one who's paranoid. I just feel like maybe-" I look directly at him and ask, "Is something going on with you?"

"I don't think so." He shrugs.


"I just feel like you're letting too many things get to you. When we first met I was the freak who was paranoid and you were the one calming me down, telling me to ignore the rest of the world and concentrate on myself. You're…you're the one who taught me not to give a damn what people said about me, that it only mattered if I was happy and proud of what I was doing. I feel like you said it but maybe you don't believe it?"

"Mere…I…" He sighs heavily. "I don't care what people say. I guess in a way, I just don't want anyone to hurt you. I don't want to see you hurt like that again. From the moment I met you I cared so much about you and what had happened and was going to
happen and I just…I don't know. I haven't had a girlfriend in a long time, not one as serious as you and it just, I guess all the other shit that's happening in my life with my album and the movies I did and the tour and Trace and all that shit is just…" He sighs again, he's doing that a lot lately. "I'm trying to keep it all in order and keep you happy at
the same time."

"What do you mean 'Trace'?"

"I don't know." He's not looking me in the eye and he looks really withdrawn for a moment. "Something's just weird between us. I'm sure it'll be fine in a week. Sometimes this shit happens where we just need a little distance."

"You don't…" I put my hands on his arms and then squeeze myself against him and hold him around his torso. I feel better when he holds me, running his hands up and down my back. "Don't worry about keeping me happy, Justin. Don't stress yourself out about that. I'm with you, and you love me and that's all I want and need. And nothing else could make me happier."

I look up at him and he's smiling. He looks really happy right now, but there's something in his eyes that seems doubtful. I don't think it's anything about me, I just wish he would tell me about it.

He kisses me and I don't try to stop him when he deepens it and his hands roam against my skin. Something's going on with him. I was right. This tabloid shit is just the surface, just the cover up. And I hope I can figure out what it is and fix it before some bigger problem pops up.
Chapter 30 by Mere

Meredith’s dressing room, 10:15 p.m.

 

“Where the fuck is your fine ass at?”

 

I smile and sink down against the couch. His voice, his damn voice gets to me, deep and raspy, and southern. And sexy. I giggle at myself. I’m pathetic. “Where do you think? I’m in Mere’s dressing room.”

 

“Kinky…” His voice lowers and I find myself pulling my knees and shoulders so they can curl up into my torso. I bite my lip and try not to let him affect me. He’s so good at affecting me. “Would you like to fuck in there?”

 

“Trace…” I warn him and myself. I can’t afford to get this turned on by his whispered, breathy tone. Ever since we agreed to be together it’s really been great. We haven’t really argued except over really stupid things that wouldn’t last long. And while we’ve both been really rearing to go as far as sex is concerned, which is some of the best I’ve had in my life, it hasn’t been just about that. Well, even though that’s kind of what we do….most of the time. I mean, we’ve talked a lot, too and depending on where Mere and Justin sleep at night we’ll go the opposite station and we’ll stay up talking and laying there in bed together.

 

He never seemed like the cuddle type and I guess what we do isn’t really cuddling. We don’t lay there and call each other baby names, but he’ll hold me and kiss me and we’ll talk about everything.

 

And then usually I’ll feel him poking into me and he’ll say something dirty and I’ll laugh and we’ll start kissing and…yeah.

 

It’s…It’s….so far it’s been perfect.

 

“You like it when I talk dirty.”

 

I ignore the cockiness in his tone and ask, “Where are you at?”

 

“Justin’s stretching before his set. So I left him alone and I’m in the hallway, ya know…just thinking about my woman.”

 

After Keith I thought I’d never want to be someone’s “woman” again. But then I realized Keith always called me his “girl” so being Trace’s woman is a completely different, exciting thing.

 

“Maybe we should do it out there, then. Where everyone can see. I am only wearing a skirt, ya know.” I bite my lip, happy that I have the guts to be this bold with him, to talk dirty back, to not be the stuck up prude everyone else thinks I am. I know it gets him hot and it makes me feel empowered or something.

 

“One of these days we’re gonna get caught. We can’t keep sneaking around like this.”

 

I laugh a little, but I don’t really like where this conversation is going. “I’m not hiding it.”

 

“Yes you are. You haven’t told anyone.”

 

“Neither have you!” I say defensively. I haven’t told anyone because it’s no one else’s business. Plus, the less people that know about it the better it’ll be for us. Work relationships rarely work. I’m a prime example of that.

 

He groans on the other end, “I don’t wanna fight about this.”

 

“I’m not fighting.”

 

So I guess we have fought a little, but I’m sure it’ll be over with soon. We argue, everyone argues, it’s nothing really serious. “Look, I’ll come to Mere’s room in a few. I’m gonna go out and have a cigarette.”

 

“I thought you were quitting,” I tease.

 

“You’re a bad influence.”

 

I laugh again. “Hey, I am quitting.”

 

“Yeah right, you’re the one that peer pressures me to smoke after sex.”

 

“Hey…that’s diff--” I hear a click and pull the phone away. “--rent.” I see that he’s hung up on me and I laugh again and shake my head. “Ass.”

 

I snap the phone shut and put it on the table beside me that’s littered with some book Meredith was reading, some lip gloss, a couple magazines, Altoids, and her cell phone.

 

It’s funny I guess ‘cause Trace and I’s relationship hasn’t really changed from before we made it official except for the fact that we spend a hell of a lot more time together. He still annoys the shit out of me, on purpose I think. It usually ends in me cussing him out, smacking him and then him kissing me.

 

Which I really don’t mind that much.

 

The only problem is this sneaking around shit. I mean in a way it’s sexy ya know, making out in dark hallways and bathrooms, staring at the door while he’s kissing me and has his hand in between my thighs, waiting for someone to bust in on us, sneaking off to his room at night, wearing the sexiest underwear I have underneath my clothes (underwear he bought me, underwear I’d promise myself not to wear, that I told myself objectified women, underwear that now makes me feel sexy when I see myself in it) that kind of thing. But I can’t hide this from Meredith much more, even though I don’t want her going crazy and scheduling double dates and wanting to dish while getting our nails done.

 

The other afternoon we had several hours of travel. Trace was on the bus with Justin helping him do some business stuff so I was left on Meredith’s bus with her and Monique and Abbie. They were having a teen movie marathon. I hung out with them for about an hour just to not seem so anti-social, even though I hate teen movies. She asked me what was going on with Trace and I and I just told her we were good friends and hanging out a lot. She said “oh” in a very dejected tone and just nodded at me and sort of shut up and ignored me for the next little bit.

 

I think she could tell I was full of shit and I think it made her upset I wouldn’t be honest with her. I mean it’s not like we’re great friends. Sometimes she vents to me about Justin, but honestly she rambles so much it’s hard to keep up with her half the time. I guess that’s bitchy. Maybe I should be more interested in her pathetic drama with her boyfriend. Maybe it’d be easier if I didn’t hate her boyfriend’s guts. Wait, I don’t hate him. I should reword that. If her boyfriend didn’t hate my guts, that’s more accurate.

 

I know she still wants us to be best friends or something but I just can’t afford that type of relationship with someone. I can’t let her pull me into that life and go party with her or whatever and not do my job. I’m here to do a job, not be a best friend.

 

I’m not Trace, I can’t do both.

 

I don’t know how he gets away with it. I guess that Justin is easier to deal with. He gives Trace lots of space and still lets him live his life. I feel like Mere wants me to be around for her benefit, so she has someone to talk to, not really because she likes me or cares about what’s going on with me.

 

I don’t know. Maybe I’m being unfair.

 

I guess I just don’t understand what she would want to do with me. She’s got plenty of friends and we are very, very different people. Part of me also wonders why she wants to get so close to me, especially after her last assistant was her friend and ended up fucking her over. I’d think she’d want distance with me.

 

And I’d hate for her to become a good friend to me and then something happen and it hurt her and her think I betrayed her. And I hate feeling guilty, even if the thing that happens is out of my control.

 

I reach out to the book that Meredith was fumbling around with earlier and read the back of it to see if it’ll hold my interest for the next hour or so. I need to go on a book run because I’ve read all of mine I brought. I’ve been meaning to do it, but lately I’ve spent less time reading and more time with…with him.

 

I glance at my watch. She should be back here in 30 minutes or so when her set’s up. Maybe I should make more of an effort.

 

Before I get done with the first line of the back cover a voice makes me jump out of my skin. “Hello there.”

 

I breathe heavily and right myself so that I’m sitting on the couch instead of laying on it. It’s Justin. I didn’t even hear him come in and now he’s leaning up against the counter of Mere’s dressing room, dressed in his button down shirt, tie and slacks for this show, and he’s staring at me.

 

It’s a blank stare. But it’s challenging.

 

“Um, hi.”

 

I don’t know what the hell he wants and I’m not sure if I should stay here and listen to him or make a mad dash for the door.

 

“Got a moment?”

 

“I uh, think.”

 

“Yeah, you uh, do.” He mocks me and I glance at the door that he’s now walking towards. It’s my last chance. I should dash, come on Courtney. Get out of here. He speaks to someone in the hallway. “I’ll be ready in 10.”

 

The door shuts.

 

Shit.

 

I know I gotta be strong. I can’t let him see that he kind of terrifies me. I don’t think he’d ever do anything to me, but that boy can talk. And usually when he talks to me he pisses me off and clouds my mind and makes me over-think things and doubt things. And I don’t need that drama in my life right now.

 

Especially when Trace is on his way over here.

 

I sigh, put the book I’m clutching on the table and cross my legs, “What can I do for you, Justin?”

 

“I wanna talk. Is that ok?” His tone is biting and aggravated and I’m not sure I like it.

 

“Considering our track record, I’m not sure.”

 

He stares at me and says in a low voice, “Funny.”

 

“Right…”

 

I look at the coffee table in front of me. He doesn’t say anything so I start straightening things, putting the random pieces in some weird organized fashion, magazines in a stack, book on top, Altoids, lip gloss and phone in the opposite corner.

 

“You still fuckin’ Trace?”

 

I drop the lip gloss and it rolls off the coffee table onto the floor.

 

I look at him and narrow my eyes. “Excuse me?”

 

“Well he’s decided to distance himself from me so, well, yeah…I gotta get my info some how.” He shrugs and looks down at the counter. He perched himself up there, his shiny black shoes that look like ones my dad use to wear when he got dressed up for work swing slightly back and forth where his ankles are crossed.

 

I lean back against the couch. Here we go. “It’s none of your business if we are or not, and you’re the one that’s distancing yourself.” I cross my arms over my chest, trying to seem defiant, trying to let him know I’m not one to be messed with.

 

I don’t really think Justin Timberlake cares though. I honestly wonder if he’s intimidated by anyone.

 

“So now you’re an expert about me and Trace?” He laughs and it’s not pleasant. “Interesting.”

 

I roll my eyes and uncross my arms, letting them smack against my thighs. “Why are you doing this? Don’t you have a show to do?”

 

“Look, I just need to get some shit straight. You shouldn’t be so uptight and worried like you’re hiding something. I know you’re dating or fucking or whatever you’re doing with him. And I don’t like it. You’re not good for him—“

 

“How the hell-”

 

He slides off the counter and puts up a hand to me. I’m surprised I let it happen, but his hand movement quiets me. I hate this. “I know, ok? He hasn’t told me himself, but enough people around here have spotted you two doing whatever it is you do. But, just know...If you do any little fucking thing to upset him I’ll have your ass shipped back to wherever the fuck you came from so fast you’ll not even realize it.”

 

I don’t like him standing up while I’m sitting down, so I stand up as well and glare at him as I move across the floor to the other side of the room, to the opposite counter. “Are you really threatening me?”

 

“He just broke up with a good girl, a girl that was good for him, he doesn’t need to be bouncing back with you, someone who’s dangerous.”

 

I lean against the counter and go back to my glaring, arm crossed stance. “Didn’t she break off their engagement and started dating someone else? How good can that be? Are you fucking serious? Dangerous? You make me sound like a terrorist.”

 

He smiles and steps closer to me even though there’s probably 15 feet separating us across the room. He crosses his arms and leans forward a little bit. He talks in a cocky, secretive way when he says, “In a way you are, Courtney. I don’t trust you. I think you’re here to sneak your way into this industry and get whatever benefits you can, fuck whoever gets in your way.”

 

“Oh my god…” I push myself up on the counter and then push some of Meredith’s hair products out of the way so that I don’t tip them over. “This is actually fucking hilarious. It’s like your living in a little movie world where you’ve cast me as the evil assistant and you’re gonna save the day and save your girl from anything wrong.”

 

“There’s been a hell of a lot of shit printed about me and Mere lately, shit that not very many people should know about Courtney. It just makes me wonder.”

 

This is ridiculous.

 

“She got over what that Leah girl did to her! You should, too. God I’m not gonna sell some shit. Half the time I’m not paying attention to what you two do.”

 

He laughs a full, sarcastic, asshole laugh and goes and sits where I just was, putting his feet up on the table, making my organized magazines slide. The book falls off the top of the stack and lands on its spine on the rug underneath and it tips over so the cover is facing up. I stare at it. The Princess Bride. I didn’t know that movie was based off a book. “Bull fucking shit. You’re always fucking staring at us. If I didn’t know better I’d say you either are a lesbian or you want my cock.”

 

My eyes snap from the book title to his steely blue eyes. I stare at him for a good 10 seconds. I haven’t let a man talk to me like this in a long, long time and I’m not about to let Justin fucking Timberlake do it either.

 

I smile a little bit, “I can not wait to tell your girlfriend about how you’re talking to me.”

 

“Please, she’s not gonna do shit. She might get mad at me for a bit but I can change her mind.”

 

I wish I had a fucking tape recorder and recorded his words. Maybe I should start carrying one and let her see how he really treats me. Maybe that’ll cause some drama since he so clearly wants to start some with me.

 

“Oh really?”

 

He turns a little, lifts his ass off the couch and reaches his hand into his back pocket and pulls out three pieces of small rectangular paper. I see they’re photographs. “With these. Why were these in your purse earlier today?”

 

I jump off the counter and step a little closer seeing the pictures of Meredith and her dancers. I snatch them out of his hand and glance at the pictures: They’re making faces in one, posing like Charlie’s Angels in another and just sitting there smiling with their arms around each other in another. I know the pictures. I know them well.

 

I took them myself. I drop them onto the coffee table. The bastard searched my purse?

 

“You’ve lost it.” I roll my eyes and go sit in the chair across from the couch. This is stupid.

 

He’s stupid.

 

“I’m not really sure Meredith is gonna be happy to know you’ve stolen pictures of her and her dancers hanging out. How much do those go for now? Hundred thousand?”

 

I start to laugh and I can’t control it and lean forward a little bit and shake my head at him. “You’re an idiot.”

 

“How so?” He’s still smiling at me, a cocky, asshole smile that I wanna punch.

 

I cross my legs and smooth out the long skirt I’m wearing. “I took these pictures myself last night. They fucking asked me to and this morning Meredith gave me her camera and told me to go get the pictures developed ‘cause she wants to make this collage or something on her bus.”

 

“Right.” He rolls his eyes, but the cocky smile has been smacked off his face. He knows I’m not lying, even though he’s trying to convince himself otherwise.

 

This guy needs therapy.

 

“I’m surprised you didn’t snatch out the ones of you and her.”

 

“What?”

 

Oh, that got his attention. Yeah I got the whole memory card developed and there were several pictures of her and Justin, in fact most of them were of the two of them. Some were of her and Teddy and other random people on the crew. There was even one she took of me one morning on the bus right when I woke up. I didn’t get that one printed. But most of them were pictures she must have taken when her and Justin were together, probably drunk. There were several with him in his boxer-briefs and one of him kissing on her and her smiling holding the camera out in front of her and one that was kind of blurry but you could tell it was Meredith holding a sheet up against her. There was another one but it looked like a hand covered the lens at the time, the photo was all black except for a little bit of light in the corner where whoever’s fingers separated. I didn’t get the blurry one or that one printed either.

 

“Oh yeah, here…” I get up and go to my satchel over on the counter. I hadn’t had a chance to give Mere the pics yet because she was so busy this afternoon. The soundcheck ran late ‘cause they had some equipment problems and I was having dinner with Trace while she was getting dressed. I pull out the little box of pictures they gave me at the film place and move closer to Justin and toss them at him. “You might be careful with your girlfriend when she’s drunk. Ya know, I was really tempted to sell a picture of you in your underwear to People or whoever, but I restrained myself.”

 

He pulls the photos out of the holder and only looks at a few of them before pulling his legs off the coffee table and putting the box there. He glares at me. “You’re a bitch.”

 

Must of run out of excuses to be pissed at me or whatever and is now just using names.

 

“And you’re an asshole. Are you done interrogating me now?” I sigh and plop down in the chair again. At least I’ve won this battle with him.

 

The saddest part about it, or I guess the part that gets to me the most, is that I know that Justin, at least the Justin everyone else knows, isn’t an asshole. I mean if he was just mean to everyone and was stuck up and a prick then I probably wouldn’t let this bother me at all. I’d probably just sit here reading Mere’s book ignoring everything he did or said.

 

But I know he’s only like this with me. In fact, when people are around who he doesn’t like at all, he usually just ignores them completely, acts like they don’t exist. So why do I get to him so much? Why does he come after me? He knows that his girlfriend doesn’t like it, so why doesn’t he just suck it up and ignore me, too instead of causing all this drama? It’s just weird. I mean usually when I see him and he’s not with Mere or even when he is with her, he’s cutting up with people, laughing, joking around. He’s kind to people, opens doors, helps people carry stuff.

 

He really isn’t a stuck up pop star.

 

I guess in a way I keep hoping one of these days he’s gonna show me that side of him. But I’ve always been one to get my hopes up. And they always seem to get crushed.

 

He leans forward with his elbows on his knees, “If anything, any fucking thing is traced back to you, you don’t even want to know what I’ll do to you.”

 

“I could press charges for threats, Justin.”

 

“I’d ruin your career. I don’t think you realize how much power I have in this business.”

 

I take in a breath and tell myself to step back from this for a moment. I realize how ridiculous this whole thing is, how stupid he’s being, how stupid I was for letting him come in here. “I don’t think you realize how much of an idiot you sound like right now.”

 

“And if you do anything to hurt Mere or Trace…”

 

“Why would she hurt me?”

 

We both dart our eyes to the door and I see Trace there, hand still on the door knob, darting his eyes in between us.

 

I sigh, thank fucking God.

 

“Good you’re here.” Justin stands up and wipes his hands on his pants. “You can finally fess up to me that you’re fucking her.”

 

His eyes are round and his mouth opens slowly. His voice is soft when he says, “I told you I was fucking her….”

 

I laugh and shake my head, “Nice Trace.” Great, fucking great. Now he can’t even be a man about this.

 

“What?”

 

I throw up my hands. “You can’t even tell him we’re dating.”

 

“Courtney, just chill out.” He glares at me a little.

 

Oh hell fucking no! I stand up and stare at him, hard. “Are you fucking kidding me?!”

 

Justin doesn’t look at me but stays staring at Trace. He points his thumb at me. “I’m just asking your girlfriend here how all this shit is starting to come out about me and Mere.”

 

I groan and say defensively, “Because you guys are one of the hottest couples right now, everyone wants a story.”

 

He turns and his voice is raised, finally. He kept his cool, cocky manner up until now. Now, well now he’s just pissed. “Then why are they getting one? Why are they getting true ones? It started with the Vegas shit. And now they know about us in Chicago, about how I gave her that bracelet. Nobody knew about that except you two ‘cause you were on the bus when I gave it to her.”

 

“Maybe when you bought it they assumed--” Trace says, but Justin cuts him off.

 

“My mom bought it for me.”

 

“You’re paranoid,” I laugh and sit back down on the chair sideways, pulling my legs over one of the armrests of the chair and pressing my back against the other. Ya know Trace is being kind of annoying right now, but Justin’s hilarious. He’s fucking insane and even though I’m the one getting all the shit rained down on me, it’s still hilarious to watch. “You need therapy.”

 

He doesn’t look at me, but stares at Trace, “You think I’m paranoid, Trace?”

 

“I think you just need to relax a little. You’ve got a show to do and you don’t need to go all stressed out.”

 

Of course. There’s my man, my man with the perfect fucking answer every god damn time.

 

“I don’t like this. I don’t like the fact that shit’s wrote up about me and my girl, but ya know, I gotta get over that. I have gotten over it. I’ve dealt with it for the past 10 years. Magazines are gonna lie, but ya know I find it strange and it really fucking bothers me when they somehow miraculously know the truth, they know about every little thing we do and they print it up.”

 

“Maybe you should stop buying the magazines Justin.” I say and reach in front of me and pick up the People magazine on the top of the stack that has a picture of Lindsey Lohan on the cover. I do it on purpose, hoping he’ll see it and get more pissed off. I’m beyond the point of caring. “You’re just fueling it.”

 

“It’s kind of hard when everyone, including you, buys them!” he bites out to me.

 

I sigh and shake my head at him. “I buy them for your fucking girlfriend Justin! God!”

 

He steps forward and gets closer to Trace and I watch them. I can see Trace almost cower in front of Justin and I don’t like it. I don’t like it at all. “I can’t believe you’d ever stoop this low, Trace. I know you think your desperate or something, but you don’t have to fuck this…” He slings his arm in my direction. “This is just a mess.”

 

Trace licks his lips and looks at Justin and then turns his eyes on me.

 

“Well?” I say.

 

“What?”

 

I laugh bitterly. This is just a sad, sad scene. “Un-fucking-believable. After all this you still can’t stand up to him?”

 

He steps back and puts his hands up in between him and Justin. “I’m not going to let you guys put me in the middle.”

 

“Too late.” I curse myself when me and Justin say it at the same time.

 

It’s not fair, I know it’s not. But good fucking God, he shouldn’t let his best friend treat him like that, or treat the woman he calls his girlfriend like that. It’s just wrong. Be a man.

 

“I gotta go. You have fun with your bitch of a girlfriend here.” Justin doesn’t look at me anymore and before I know it the door has slammed and it’s just me and Trace and a lot of really heavy air.

 

Several minutes pass. I just ignore him and read the magazine. Well I’m not really reading, but pretending to read, staring at a picture of Victoria and David Beckham. I need fresh air.

 

And I’m battling the urge to stomp out of here and go smoke like half a pack of Camels. Menthol. Mmmm. I can smell the tobacco on Trace. Shit. I reach in front of me and grab the box of Altoids and put two in my mouth and suck hard.

 

“Hey…”

 

I throw the magazine on the floor and push the Altoids under my tongue. I can’t stand it anymore. “I can’t fucking believe you,” I sound like I have a speech problem when I say it and quickly bite into the mints even though it’s a little too strong for me.

 

“What?”

 

“What? What!” I chew some more and sigh. Ya know, that…what just happened was something I don’t want to deal with anymore. I’m tired of Justin and his weird psychotic moods. I’m tired of Trace being a wimp around him. I’m tired of everyone falling on their feet for Meredith and me getting no respect for half the shit I do. I’m tired of everyone talking about me on the tour. I’m tired of it. I’m not in middle school anymore. I’m here to do a job, not be treated like this. I don’t know if I can deal with this anymore. I shake my head and say out loud, but mainly to myself, “I don’t know if I can do this. I just don’t know if I can do this.”

 

“What?” He licks his lips and sits down across from me.

 

“I might just have to quit.”

 

“What!”

 

I point to the door. “Trace, he just came in here and threatened me like five times about my job and my safety, claiming that, I guess, I’m selling info to the magazines.”

 

“Are you?”

 

I stare at him, “Oh my god.” I can’t believe this.

 

“Look, I’m not saying you would. I know you wouldn’t, but he’s right to some extent.”

 

I blink and shake my head. I really did not just hear that. I did not just hear my boyfriend’s complete lack of faith and trust in me. “I can’t believe this. He’s got hundreds of people around him and her every day. Why am I the one he points out?”

 

“He’s used this crew for almost every tour he’s been on. They go through extensive background checks, and most of them don’t give a shit about him or her and their life. They’re just here to work. You’re the easiest target.”

 

I can’t even look at him anymore. I feel like I might just throw up. After all the drama with us and finally breaking down and telling him everything and the past two weeks being phenomenal with him and...and me finally happy with where I am—then, this happens? “I can’t believe you believe him.”

 

“I don’t, I never said that.”

 

“You’re sure acting like it.”

 

He sighs and rubs his forehead. He can’t look me in the eye. “You do stare at them a lot, I’ve noticed it Courtney. I’m not blaming you, I’m just trying to let you know that I understand why he’s so fucking paranoid.”

 

“Then try to explain it to me ‘cause I’m lost here.”

 

“I’ve read the articles. He’s made me read the articles. And I’ve got to admit, they’ve never gotten this much info on him before, not truthful stuff. Now Meredith might be a different story, but Justin runs a tight shift. They post stories about him a lot, but that’s if they get picture proof and most of the time the captions with the pictures are blatant stories and hilarious lies. It’s rarely ever factual. And these have been. I don’t know how they’re getting this info out about the bracelet and about their little drunken private after parties and then the whole write up about how Tuesday night is their pizza and movie night. No one knows about that shit except us.”

 

I look at him and he’s staring at me with a pitiful lost stare. I know, I know he doesn’t think I did it and I know he’s struggling with some issues with Justin right now and I know I’m probably the main issue on the list, but I just…It’s not fair. And as much as I hate to whine and complain, I don’t deserve to be treated like this, I don’t care what’s happening in Justin’s life.

 

“Meredith doesn’t have the tightest mouth, Trace.”

 

“Look, I know. I’m sorry, but he needs someone to blame and unfortun-“

 

“It’s not an excuse Trace. I thought I was your girlfriend.”

 

“You are but I just…”

 

I cross my arms over my chest and stare at him. “I’m not gonna let you treat me like this, like he’s better than me.”

 

“Great, fucking great.” He throws his hands up and stands up and starts pacing. I just stare at him a little and suddenly I feel bad. “Ya know, I should send you both a fucking thank you card for putting me in the middle of this. I shouldn’t have to choose between you two.”

 

“Maybe you should.” He stops and the look he gives me isn’t one I want to see again. I should have know better than getting involved with someone who’s best friend is the most important person to them, more important than I could ever be. “You’re like his little puppet. Everyone calls you his little bitch and I’m starting to believe it.”

 

“Now you’re just trying to piss me off.” He sighs and stops pacing, scratching his head. He’s grown out his hair into this little stupid mohawk thing. It’s ridiculous. And I hate how last night I told him I thought it was cute.

 

“Is it working?”

 

Right now nothing about him is cute except the smell of smoke that’s tempting me outside.

 

He sits on the arm of my chair and sighs, picking up my hand in his. “He was out of line, ok? He probably said shit he shouldn’t have, Courtney. But what do you want me to do? Go punch my best friend in the face? Go tell him he’s wrong? It’s not gonna do a damn thing but make this situation a hell of a lot worse. After a while he’ll stop bothering you about it. If there is someone in the crew leaking info they’ll get caught and you’ll be off the hook and it’ll be all fine and dandy, ok?”

 

I pull my hand away from him. “I can’t just be a punching bag for him, Trace. If he has a bad day I don’t wanna be looking over my shoulder wondering if he’s gonna come and attack me. I can’t stand that. I can’t live like that. Maybe….maybe I should have left that first week. Maybe I should call Angie up right now and quit.”

 

“Don’t do that.” He turns and kneels in front of me and grabs both of my hands. I start to smile inside, thinking maybe, maybe he’s going to tell me he loves me or that he can’t be on this tour without me or that he’s gonna miss me or that he’ll quit with me.

 

He doesn’t say a thing about us.

 

“Mere relies on you. Forget Justin, ok? Just keep trying to avoid him.”

 

I sigh, “That’s what I’ve been doing.”

 

“Look, you haven’t been talking to anyone have you?” I glare at him and he stands up and sits on the edge of the table in front of me. “Like, look I know you wouldn’t sell shit. I know you wouldn’t. I wouldn’t be with you if I even thought you could do something like that. But, you haven’t been talking to anyone, like a friend or something, about what’s been going on with them, have you?”

 

“Who would I talk to Trace? You’re really my only friend here.”

 

He sighs and looks at me dead on, something I know is hard for him to do, especially when we’re arguing. So it kind of amazes me to see him do it now. “Ya know, that’s another thing, too. If you made yourself more accessible, people wouldn’t feel you were so shady. I know you’re not, but people talk ‘cause they say you don’t hang out enough and you’re so uptight. And honestly they’re right.”

 

“Oh my god, I am not gonna get into this with you.” I stand up and he looks up at me and I walk away from him and over towards my satchel again. I start messing with things in my purse, searching for my lighter and wondering if maybe there’s a cigarette hiding down in there somewhere. “You know I don’t make friends easy, Trace. We’ve talked about this. We’ve talked about how I’m very cautious about making friends at work. I can’t believe you would just…”

 

I find a cigarette but as soon as I have it in my hand the door swings open and I see Meredith charge through. I barely even get a glimpse except the silver sash around her waist and her teased hair flying behind her.

 

“Mere! Mere…”

 

Teddy, Monique, Abbie, one of the main stage directors, Tom is his name I think, and Derrek are all there, piling into the room, calling after her.

 

The bathroom door slams shut. I stare at Trace and then at everyone else.

 

Holy shit.

 

“What’s going on?” Trace asks before I get the chance to.

 

Teddy’s at the door knocking, talking low and softly to her.

 

Abbie starts talking wildly and I look at Monique and she’s standing there with her hand over her mouth and a worried look in her eyes. Shit, fucking shit. What just happened? This night is just getting worse.

 

“She’s really sick, she only got through her second song with Justin and they both came off stage right before her encore and she just-”

 

“Hey…” Teddy turns around and points to the door. “Everyone out.”

 

“Come on Teddy we just…” Abbie starts to say and I see Derrek come up and put an arm around both of the dancers.

 

“Look, I know.” He squeezes them and starts to lead them out of the room. “We’ll give her some space, Teddy? We’ll be outside if you need us.”

 

Tom sighs and pulls the mouthpiece away from his lips and stares at Teddy and then Trace. God, what the fuck is going on?

 

“He says he’s not going on until he knows she’s ok.”

 

“Give it here…” Trace stands up and Tom pulls off the head piece, the wire still connected to the pack on the side of his belt. Trace moves the headpiece close to his ear and speaks into the microphone. I listen carefully, trying to decipher out what’s going on and what just happened out there. I’m afraid if I ask Teddy he’ll kick me out, too.

 

“She’s fine man…Look, I know ok? She’s using the bathroom right now so she can’t talk to you…I promise man, I promise. Just get through the show and it’ll be fine, ok? ...No, no. She’s not gonna have to go to the hospital. Look, calm the fuck down. She probably just got a little dehydrated…Yeah, yeah ok. I’m here and Teddy’s here and we’re gonna take care of her, alright? Yes, I promise. Go…”

 

He sighs, nods quickly at Tom and hands him back his head set. Tom leaves, saying quietly, “I’ll come back in a few for a check up.”

 

I sigh when the door closes and look at Trace. I’m assuming she got sick or something. I guess if she was hurt she wouldn’t have been able to walk in here and if someone attacked her there would be security ransacked in here.

 

Trace is on the phone with God knows who and Teddy is leaning by the bathroom door asking her if he can come in.

 

I walk over there and put my hand on Teddy’s arm. He looks miserable. “Excuse me, Teddy.” I knock lightly and call out, “Mere?”

 

I can hear her crying in there. Shit.

 

I turn the knob and realize it’s not locked. When I look in she’s kneeling in front of the toilet, puke in the bowl, makeup runny and her forehead leaning against the porcelain seat.

 

She sniffs. “I…I feel so bad Court.”

 

“Shh, it’s ok.” I kneel down beside her and pull her hair back for her. I luckily have a hair band around my wrist and quickly tie her hair up in a loop for her behind her neck. I rub her back. “Just your stomach?”

 

“My head hurts, too.”

 

She leans against me and before I realize it I’ve got her in my arms and she’s holding onto me, breathing heavily. “What did you eat today?”

 

“Cereal…” She breathes and coughs a little. “Justin shared his big salad for lunch and then I had that chicken wrap you got for me a few hours ago.” Great, I already see Justin blaming me for poisoning her. She looks at me and wipes her face and her mouth with a wad of toilet paper she had in her hand. She sniffs but then starts panicking and crying even harder. “I know I scared him Courtney, please…please tell him I’m ok. I just, I feel better now that I threw up.”

 

“Hey…” There’s a knock and we both look up and Trace is leaning in, pushing the door all the way open. “We’ve got a paramedic coming to…”

 

I can feel her shaking and she tries to push herself up. “Trace, don’t. Please. It’s gonna be this big ordeal and I’m fine, really.”

 

Teddy pushes Trace out of the way and he looks at her like a father would, concerned, stern, and determined. “You coming off stage and throwing up on the floor is a big ordeal, a huge one. And if you don’t want the paramedic to check you out I’ll pick you up and take you to the hospital myself.”

 

“Ok, ok…” I can feel her wanting to push me away a little. I guess she doesn’t want to lean against me anymore. I stand up in the small space and press myself up against the corner of the room, trying to give her some space.

 

Teddy takes my space on the floor and squats down a little, smoothing her hair over her head. It’s actually a really touching scene if there wasn’t throw up in the bowl. I lean over and flush it for her. “I’m not letting you get sick again like last time Mere. I’m not letting you scare the shit out of us again.”

 

“I’m fine…” Teddy plops down on the floor in front of the sink and lets her rest her head on his shoulder and he keeps his arm around her. I look at Trace and he stares at me.

 

It’s funny how all this shit with us has gone down and all of a sudden none of it seems to matter anymore. I hope Mere’s ok. I really do. I hope she’s not dehydrated or has to ya know, be hospitalized or something. Maybe she just ate something that didn’t sit well with her. I don’t know. All I know is that the little world we live in has stopped for the moment and in a way I’m kind of thankful.

 

Maybe this will put everything into perspective. I’m sure she’ll be ok.

 

As horrible as it is to say, the problem is that she will be ok. I’m sure in a couple of days she’ll be back to herself and this, all this will still be there. And when our little world starts back up again I’m still going to have to deal with Trace and Justin and I pray to God there’s not Meredith added to the mix. The last thing she needs right now is stress and the last thing she needs is me quitting because her boyfriend hates me.

 

Justin’s hard enough to deal with when his girlfriend is happy and well, I don’t want to see what he’s like or who he blames or hear the threats he makes after his girlfriend’s been sick.

 

Chapter 31 by Mere
Author's Notes:
Wow, sorry guys, though I had already posted this one.  opps!

Justin’s hotel bedroom, 11:43 a.m.

 

“Harder…” she groans.

 

“Damn girl.” I touch her and grip her and stare at the back of her shoulders.  She turns her head and breathes deeply. “You like that?” I ask.

 

She moans over her shoulder and I work harder and deeper, making her feel good. 

 

I lean down over her and whisper against her ear, “Ya know, all your moanin’s gonna give me a hard on.”

 

She giggles and tries to smack at me, but it doesn’t really work the way she’s positioned on the bed. “Perv.”

 

I fall down beside her and pull the straps of her tank top back over her shoulders for her and rub my hand softly over her back.  She had complained of a back ache ten minutes ago, so I straddled her cute, little ass and gave her a nice massage. All the rubbing and all her moans made it kind of hard for me to concentrate, so if she wants more then maybe I’ll make an appointment for us to get massages this afternoon. 

 

I kiss her shoulder and smile at her, “It’s not my fault you’re the sexiest woman alive.”

 

“I’m the tiredest woman alive.”  She looks it, too.  Her eyes are lazy and I’m so fucking thankful we have this day off to hang out and do nothing if we feel like it.  She needs it.

 

I do, too.  Especially after the other night.

 

God, she scared the shit out of me.

 

“Is that a word?” I tease and reach over to the night stand and turn the volume on the TV down a little.  We got up about an hour or two ago and haven’t moved from the bed except to pee and get some water.  They’re having a “Next Food Network Star” marathon on and Mere’s a little obsessed.

 

“I don’t know.”  She turns up on her side and faces me.

 

“Come here…” I pull her against me tight and hold her there.  I roll a little so I’m on my back and she’s lying halfway on top of me.  I stare at the ceiling and kiss the top of her head.  I’m not someone who prays every moment, but right now I’m so fucking thankful that she’s in my arms and is ok.  “Ya know, I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

 

“Justin…”  She says it in an annoyed tone and tries to push off and away from me.

 

I touch her face and look directly in her eyes.  I think the other night was the fastest I’ve ever done a show.  I flew through it.  I didn’t talk to the crowd and I feel bad about that.  I know they probably wrote up a shit review about it, but I don’t care.  And I also know that it was plastered all over the TV media that Meredith “collapsed” after performing.  She didn’t collapse, but it was just about as bad. We had done “Stand Alone” and she seemed fine but then I could tell something was wrong with her while we were singing “Come to My Place”.

 

 We don’t really do a dance number for it because it’s a hard song to do a dance to.  It’s more of a groove, not slow, but something that makes you move a little song.  Usually Meredith and I jam a little bit together and sometimes I’ll hold her and sway with her while we sing.  But that night she was just singing it and I could tell by the looks she was giving me that something was wrong. 

 

We always go off stage after that song. Meredith says thanks to the crowd and they cheer. I usually mess around with her backstage for a few minutes while they play a back track and my band gets set up while they change a few things about the stage.  Since we’re doing smaller venues we’re able to do a pretty fluid set change and really keep the crowd into it.  Usually my band will start playing “Look Your Way” and I’ll go out and start it and Mere comes and the crowd goes wild, then she leaves and it’s all my set.

 

We didn’t do “Look You Way” that night because as soon as she was off the stage, even though I was trying to hold onto her arm, she broke away from me and was searching around for something, I guess a trash can.  The next thing I knew there were people gasping and saying ‘oh my god’ and she was crouched on the floor.

 

I felt so bad for her.  I know she was embarrassed and she hates it when people fuss over her.  And I was terrified.  Her dancers were hovering over her and I think I almost pushed poor Monique to the floor trying to get to her.

 

It was kind of blurry and dark and the next thing I knew Teddy was pushing me away and helping her up. The stage managers were pulling on me, screaming at me that I had to get on stage. Meredith was gone down the back hallway and it wasn’t until I heard from Trace that she was ok that I actually went on stage.

 

I shouldn’t have though.  I should have been with her. 

 

“I love you Meredith.”

 

She sighs heavily, “Justin I’m fine.”

 

“I can’t tell you I love you?”

 

“Yes, you can.”  She pouts and flops back against the bed beside me, her head hitting the pillow.  “And I love you, too, but I see that look on your face.  I promise you I’m fine.  It was just something I ate.”

 

I turn on my side and run my hand over her stomach.  Her hand covers mine and keeps it resting there. “I don’t think you realize how scared I was when I came back after bolting through the show and you were laying there with an IV.”

 

I almost threw up myself when I ran, sprinted after the show to her room and saw her lying propped up on the couch with a fucking tube in her arm.  She still has a little bandage over her wrist from where it was.

 

I don’t know.  A lot happened for me in that moment when I saw her like that.  All, all this bull shit that’s been going on in my head about everything just washed away.  Ya know, God. I love my girl, but lately I’ve just been doubting and thinking about things way too much.  I’m way too young to be thinking the shit that I have about Mere.  It’s just like, I don’t know if I’m ready to commit my life to her.  And I shouldn’t even worry about it ‘cause I know we’re far from even thinking that route. 

 

But I think about it still.

 

And when I saw her like that I just, I almost threw up myself.  I’ve had a day to get over it. Yesterday she slept on the bus on the way here to Tampa.  I almost stopped a fucking show for her.  And if she hadn’t been ok when I called Trace (even though I realize now he was lying to me and she really did need me then) I would have stopped it.  I’ve always put everyone else’s problems and lives on hold to do shows.  Even when Britney and I were having our huge problems and would have drag out hour long fights, I remember telling her one day we’d have to stop and finish after the show.  She was livid with me. 

 

And I didn’t care.

 

I just, I hate to think what I would have done or how I would have acted if something worse had happened to my girl. 

 

I know I’ve been weird with her lately.  She assumes something is going on with me.  I don’t know, maybe there is.  Maybe I’m going crazy.  I just feel like I have so many things in my life right now that are great and positive for me, but its just like I’m not letting myself really go for it and enjoy them.  I can’t because I have this feeling its all gonna just crash in my face.  It’s like when you have that dream where you know something is behind you chasing you, but you don’t know what it is and you don’t know whether you should run or wait for it to catch up.  And you try your hardest but you just can’t turn your head to see what it is.

 

And then you wake up and see that’s it 4:01 in the morning and you still got a few hours to sleep.

 

I sometimes feel like I’m going crazy.  I’ve always been this way.  I’ll be fine and then for like a month I’ll just eat myself up inside thinking about every ‘what if’ possible, making it seem almost real in my mind.  Trace is starting to realize how much of an asshole I am, and I guess I’m giving him good reason.  It’s only a matter of time before Mere finds out that I’m one, too and leaves me.

 

And…and I don’t want her to leave me.

 

I hold her tight and she pouts at me a little.  “I didn’t want one.  I told them I’d be fine, but Teddy insisted.”

 

I bury my face in her shoulder and neck.  “You scared the shit out of me, Mere…”

 

She’s soft and small and turns on her side so that our foreheads touch and our hands are connected.  “Hey…I got sick, I’m sure you’ve gotten sick before.”

 

I know she’s just like this, she hates when anyone worries about her.  She doesn’t like people fussing over her.  It’s probably one of the main things that attracted me to her, how easy going she is most of the time.  How down to earth. I wouldn’t say Mere’s completely self-less, but she does genuinely care about other people and what they are going through. 

 

I run my hand over her side and down to her ass where I squeeze her and give her a small tap.  “Why can’t I worry about my girl?”

 

She smiles and kisses me for a moment. “’Cause you don’t let me worry about my guy.” 

 

It’s true.  It’s probably the reason I’m hiding all my anxiety from her.  I can’t put that on her cause I know she’ll put it all on herself and she’ll stress out about me and right now, especially right now, she doesn’t need that.

 

I kiss her again and deepen it, loving how she always gives this little small moan when I move my tongue with hers, how she’ll moan and grab my shoulders or arms tight.  I rub her arms and feel chill bumps all over. 

 

“You cold?” I ask and she nods.  I move around a bit and try to situate the sheets and comforter.  We had kind of crawled out on top of the bed this morning, but now I think it’ll be nice to get back and get all comfortable with my girl inside. “Here…”

 

She gets under and pulls the comforter around her neck and I do the same, smiling at her and pulling her body against mine. One of my legs separates and goes between hers and I bring our bodies against each other, tight.  She sighs and brings an arm out of the covers to my head and lightly runs it along the longer hair I’m growing on top of my head.  Trace decided to grow a Mohawk and I’m gonna do my own version ‘cause I thought it looked cool.

 

“I like being on tour with you Justin.  I like being able to relax with you.”

 

“I think after it’s over we should go on vacation.”

 

She looks up at me, happiness all over her face. “Together?”

 

“Duhh…” I make a face at her and she pinches my side and I grab at her hand underneath the cover.  “Ya know like Hawaii or something.  Do you know how to surf?”

 

She laughs a little. “I know how to swim and I know how to lay out. Surfing no, I grew up in Georgia Justin, the ocean there doesn’t have big waves.”

 

I start tickling her and say, “Well girl, I grew up by the Mississippi, which is a river and it’s kind of nasty.”

 

“But you’re all athletic.”  She’s laughing and trying to grab at my hands because I keep poking her underneath the sheets.

 

“I’ll teach ya.”

 

“What if a shark gets me?”

 

I pull her into me and bite her neck after saying, “It won’t.”

 

She gasps and moves to sit up a little bit.  Her hair that’s in a pony tail is all messed up and static-y and her straps of her tank top are falling down and she looks gorgeous.

 

“What if a jellyfish stings me? Justin, I was stung real bad when I was little!”  She pouts at me.  “I hate the ocean. It’s dangerous.”

 

“Didn’t you go snorkeling a few months ago?”

 

She smacks my shoulder. “That was different.  We were with an expert.”

 

“Hey, I’m an expert!”

 

“At surfing?”

 

She raises an eyebrow at me.  I know she knows I can, but I also know she’s just teasing me right now.  I love it when she’s silly like this and teases.  “I’m good, Mere.”

 

“You’re full of it.”  She slides over and moves so she’s straddling my lower stomach.  I like this.  I like when she gets in her playful mood.  “You think you’re an expert at everything.”

 

“Hey you’re the one that’s told me on several drunken occasions that I’m an expert at certain things.”  I push my crotch up against where her legs are spread over me.

 

She smiles and lets her body slide forward and down so that she’s laying right on top of me, her feet up in the air.  She traces patterns on my chest with her fingers.  “That’s ‘cause you were a male whore before you met me and had all this experience.”

 

“Hey!” I fake a pout and she laughs and sits up against me like she was.

 

I can’t help myself and put my hand up her shirt and grab one of her breasts.  She looks down at my hand moving underneath her tank and then up at my face.

 

“Justin, that’s my breast.”

 

“I know, it’s soft.  I like it.”  I smile and then pull my hand back.  I know its stupid, but sometimes I just feel like touching her, not even like in a sexual way.  Like now I move my hands to her thighs and rub them for a moment, liking how they’re so smooth.  “What do you want for lunch today?”

 

She shrugs. “I’m not that hungry.”

 

“Mere…”

 

She rolls her eyes.  She barely ate yesterday and she’s starting to worry me.  “I’m sorry. I’m just not hungry right now.”

 

“You need to eat.”  I give her a stern look.

 

“I’m just not hungry right now, ok?”

 

“Ok…” I sigh and watch her look over her shoulder at the TV, watching them eliminate someone on the show.  She picks up my hands with hers and runs her fingers through mine.  “Do you wanna just hang out here today?”  I ask.

 

She nods and then turns her head back and smiles at me. “Yeah, if you wanna go out you can.  You don’t have to stay stuck in bed with me.”

 

“I want to be with you today and being stuck in bed with you doesn’t seem like such a bad idea.”  I grin and wink at her.  I guess she’s had more of an affect on me than I realized. Especially when she’s on top of me and I’ve been touching her breast and her thighs, just having her so close to me.  I’ve spent the last five minutes staring at her cute little body bound up in the cream colored tank top and enjoying how her breasts look underneath it, all perky and round. And the pajama shorts she has rolled down, showing off her thighs and her hips…. she just…damn my girl is just sexy and gorgeous.

 

She shakes her head at me in disapproval. “I told you you’re wearing me out with all your horniness.”

 

“I don’t have to be rough.”  She starts to smile.  I know that smile. 

 

I hold onto her hips and lift her a little while I scoot up against the head board.  I let her sit back down against me and look at her directly now.  I run my hand over the side of her head and kiss her for a moment, really slow and lingering.  “What do you say to us just staying here all day, naked, and me making love to you slow and all gentle?  Ya know, kissing you all over…”  I kiss her cheek and then her neck, “Taking my time and all you have to do is lay there and enjoy it.”

 

I keep kissing her shoulder slow and move my hand to the strap to pull it down.  She looks at me. “You know I have a hard time keeping still and patient when we have sex.”

 

I wink at her. “I could tie you up.”

 

She gasps, “Justin!”

 

I laugh at her and hold onto her and move so she’s on her back and I’m laying over her.  I lick my lips at her, “I could blindfold you.”

 

“Have you ever done that?”  Her voice is a whisper and curious and sexy.

 

“No.  Well I mean…” I laugh and I can feel my face turn a little red at the memory.  “I had it done to me.”

 

“Really?”  She seems amazed and excited.

 

“Yeah, it’s embarrassing.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Cause…‘cause I lost it real quickly.”

 

She gasps again, “Were you like young?”

 

I bury my head in her chest and mumble, “21.”

 

“Oh my god.”  She starts laughing at me, and I know why.  I was hanging out with Alyssa at the time.  I should call her.  She’s an awesome girl and our relationship, I guess, was probably the only friends with benefits relationship I’ve ever had.  Before that I had really only dated Britney and a couple girls when I was younger and a hell of a lot more stupid.  Alyssa was really the first woman I was with where I really felt like I was a man, or at least that I was becoming one.

 

She did things I hadn’t even heard about.  She was there when I needed her and I don’t have any regrets about our friendship.  At times I kind of wish we had kept the sex out of it, even though it was some of the best in my life, ‘cause if we had I’d probably talk to her more now and it wouldn’t be as awkward when I run into her now.  I’ve been in relationships with girls and I’ve fucked girls and I’ve had friends who were girls, but Alyssa was the only girl I ever fucked who was also a friend, yet I never really had a serious relationship with her.

 

And she’s the only woman since I was fifteen to make me cum prematurely.  And she never laughed at me because of it.

 

“Don’t make fun.  It was so fucking hot and…”  Mere’s pouting, “What?”

 

“Now I’m all jealous.”  She keeps pouting but presses her body up against mine and puts her hands on my sides, scrunching up my shirt a little bit.  “I wanna make you come prematurely.”

 

I say low against her ear, “And you call me the kinky one.”

 

Her small hands are now running over my chest and I can tell where this is going, where this is leading to, and I love it.  “I don’t know.  There’s just something about making you lose all strength and control and restraint that gets me hot.”  She lands a hard kiss on me and pulls away sucking on my bottom lip.  Well, fuck me.  “It’s the same thing as the nerd fantasy.”

 

“The what?” I pull back and look at her. 

 

“Ok…” She sits up a little bit and moves her hand so it looks like a peace sign.  “Every girl has two main fantasies.”

 

I put my hands behind my head and lean back against the pillows, completely relaxing, enjoying how she looks when she gets all excited and animated like this.  “Do tell.”

 

“One is to be taught and the other is to be the teacher.  The first is like, ya know, like the bad boy just taking her and showing her how to fuck…” She talks with her hands and the way she says the word “fuck” immediately makes me go hard.  “Or the whole like teacher or professor fantasy.  And the other is well, ya know, taking that shy little cute nerdy boy from class or from work and getting him alone and finding out underneath his clothes and his glasses he’s fine as hell and has never been with a girl.”

 

“Is this what you girls talk about when you go off to the bathroom in groups?”

 

“That’s a safety thing honey.” She rolls her eyes and leans down against me, pushing the covers to the edge of the bed with her feet.  “Do boys have specific fantasies or do all they care about is having their penis’s licked?”

 

She pokes the crotch of my boxer briefs that are straining and I breathe in quickly at the fleeting touch.

 

“You’re so bad!  You sit here and talk about me being vulgar!” She grins at me evilly and I grab her hand before she can grab my dick, ‘cause I know she was about to.  I hold her hand and pin her back against the bed.  She laughs and laughs. “Silly girl….”

 

Finally she calms down and sighs heavily, looking me in the eyes.   “I don’t know.  I guess it’s all different but from the guys I’ve actually talked about fantasies it seems that the whole being taught thing, like having your teacher or your boss fuck you seems a common thread.  But I think that’s just ‘cause every guy in middle school had one hot teacher that he figured out how to masturbate to.”

 

“Hehehe…”  Her cheeks turn pink and she covers her mouth with her hand. “You masturbated.”

 

I blow against her tank top where her cleavage is, her nipples are hard and she squirms underneath me. “And you didn’t?”

 

She whispers like someone might hear her. “Shhh…I didn’t until after I broke up with my first boyfriend, before I met Rex in college.  Like before you have sex the first time or even fool around with a boy, well I think every girl is scared of her cootch.  It’s like a freakin’ maze down there.”

 

“Mmm, I like mazes.”

 

The next thing I know her arms are around me, lips on mine and her legs have wrapped around my hips, her crotch rubbing against mine.  She pulls away and says heavily and deep, “Have you ever had phone sex?”

 

I’m not sure where she’s going with this but I don’t mind how her lips feel against my shoulder. “Yes.”

 

“I haven’t.”  She pulls back and says close to my face, “Let’s do it.”

 

I smile and thrust against her a little. “Well next time we’re apart I’ll make sure to call.”

 

“No.  Right now. You go in the other room and we’ll do it.” She points to the door.

 

I laugh. “Why have phone sex when we can have the real thing right here?”

 

She bites her lip and her eyes are wide and curious. “I wanna peek through the crack in the door and see you jack off.”

 

God, she turns me on saying little silly shit like that.  I growl out, “You’re so bad…” And lunge for her, pressing my body entirely into hers.

 

It’s hot now and her body is warm and fucking sexy as hell.  Her hands are all over me and I say “shit” when she moves her hand in between us and starts tracing her finger over my hard on.  I sit up and rip off my shirt and reach down to pull her up against me.

 

She stops me for a moment and puts her arms around me, us both on our knees on the bed, kneeling in front of each other.  She hugs me and holds me and I try to catch my breath.

 

“Slow, right?”  She asks, running her hands over my back.

 

I breathe deeply and realize I kind of lost it there.  I pull back and look at her face and smile.  I can’t remember ever being this in love.

 

“I’m going to go so slow…” I smile and kiss her just like I say, slow and soft, loving the way her hands feel running through my hair in the back and touching my neck and jaw. 

 

This, this is gonna be good.  I’m gonna make it last and I’m gonna hold out as long as I can.  I wanna make her feel so good. 

 

We need this.  No, maybe just I need this.  I need to be with my girl like this. It’ll…as stupid as it sounds it’ll reassure me that everything’s ok.  That…that she really is alright.

 

Soon she’s moaning against me, breathing hard and I’m settled against her, her tank top pulled up over her chest and I’m kissing the tips of her breasts.  It always, always makes her breathe hard when I do it.  She whispers my name and grips the short hair on my head and starts to push my head down.  I know what she wants.  Oh, I know what she wants.

 

I kiss down her stomach a little and put my hands at her hips, slowly working my hands so I can push down her shorts and panties.  I look up and her breasts are heaving, back arched up, nipples hard.  Holy fucking shit.  I suck on the skin underneath her navel and whisper against her, “I’m gonna make you come so fucking good Mere.”

 

She moans and looks down at me, “I need you.”  I smile at her and keep kissing her, trying to get her to relax a little. 

 

I…I fucking love her.

 

Suddenly, there’s banging and stomping and we both scramble and sit up. Both our eyes dart to the shut door of my bedroom.  “Justin!  Justin where the fuck are you!!!”

 

I glance at her and we both immediately start rummaging around, her trying to pull down her shirt and me trying to push myself off the bed and calm my dick down.  I don’t know what’s going on but this is about to get really fucking awkward.

 

The door busts open right as I’m able to get my tank top on.  I’m still in my underwear and even though he looks like the devil reincarnated with that scowl on this face, I’m glad it’s just Trace barreling through my room.

 

The next thing I know I see him biting his lip and leaning to the side and then I feel a sharp stinging on my face.  It dulls for a moment and I sit back on my bed. “Shit…”

 

“Oh my god…”  Meredith yells and I see her right beside me, holding me, looking at me like I just got shot or something.  I touch my nose.  There’s blood.

 

Whoa…

 

“Get up…”

 

“What?”  I’m still kind of in shock and when I look up he’s standing right in front of me pointing to the floor.  He…he just punched me.

 

Trace has never punched me before.

 

He gets closer and starts trying to yank me up by my arm.  Mere gets in between us and pushes on Trace’s chest, yelling, “Trace! Calm down!  What’s going on?”  She looks at me and I look at her, trying to wipe this blood off but it’s getting all over my hands.  She runs quickly to the floor and picks up a piece of clothing.   I think it’s my shorts I was wearing last night.  She balls it up and puts it against my face and then glares at Trace.  “Shit! What the fuck is your problem!!!”

 

He glares back at Meredith and then turns his eyes to me and swings his arm behind him and points back to the doorway.  “What is SHE doing here?”

 

It only takes a moment for my eyes to focus and I see her there, cute little outfit on, big bag over her shoulders, hair and makeup perfectly done.  She looks like she always did, perfectly put together. 

 

I pull the cloth away from my face and see the blood staining my shorts.  Shit, these were my favorite pair, too.  I stand up, glance at the girl who’s hugging onto the doorway and looking scared as hell to enter and then back at Trace.  “I invited her.”

 

“Right, fucking great Justin.  I have a girlfriend.”

 

I give Trace a shove.  I still can’t believe he just punched me.  Like, what in the hell? “Get out of my fucking room.”

 

“Look, I didn’t mean to cause problems,” she says, finally inching through the room.  “I thought you guys wanted me here. I thought we’d have a good time.”

 

Trace turns and points at her, glaring and hissing at her as if she were his daughter and he just caught her doing drugs or something.  “You should have known better, Elisha.  You’ve fucked around with me way too much.”

 

“Whoa, whoa, whoa…”  Mere pushes in front of Trace and narrows her eyes at Elisha.  “Who are you?”

 

“Elisha.” She tries to smile and sticks her hand out, but Meredith ignores her.

 

She’s now turned, hands on her hips, glaring at me. 

 

And she’s pissed.  “And you invited her?”

 

“She’s Trace’s old girlfriend,” I shrug.

 

Now everyone’s staring at me like they hate me.  Except for ‘lish.  She’s just shifting her eyes around the room, looking for an escape I’m sure.  “Ex girlfriend, the girl that broke up with me Justin.”

 

“Exactly!”  I pull the shorts away again and say to him, “I thought maybe having her here could get you some closure so you wouldn’t be on the rebound anymore.  God, you didn’t have to fucking punch me.”

 

Trace starts to slowly move towards me, that look back in his eyes that was there when he first entered.  But soon I hear Mere’s voice say, “Excuse me…” She stops when Trace is still staring at me and pushes on his shoulder. “Trace, move…” She gets to me and she’s mad.  I can tell by how forceful she is when she pushes me and tries to turn me towards the bathroom. 

 

I let her push me there and when we enter I hear Trace call from behind us, “You’re boyfriend’s an asshole, Meredith.”

 

She turns to him, her hand on the door, “I’m very aware of that.  Now can you get out of here for a second while I keep him from getting blood everywhere.  God…” She moves to shut the door but opens it back all the way and screams at him, “You didn’t have to fucking punch him!”

 

She slams the door.

 

“I’m gonna kill him,” I say.

 

She ignores me and moves around the bathroom, grabbing a few towels and pulling on my arm to come with her. “Come here.”

 

“I swear Meredith.  Get my phone so I can call Tiny.”

 

She puts the toilet seat and the cover down from where I left it up and points to it, “Sit. Down.”

 

 I do what she says, still holding my shorts to my face.  She pulls them away from me and says, “Look at me.”

 

I stare into her eyes and hers look all over my face.  She’s angry, she’s livid, and somewhere back behind those two emotions I can see fear, uneasiness, sadness maybe.  “Is it broken?”

 

“No.  Trace punches like a pussy.”

 

She rolls her eyes and hands me a towel. “If he did there wouldn’t be blood.”  It’s soft against my tender nose and I lean my head back.  “No Justin lean forward so the blood doesn’t go back in your throat.”

 

“What?”  She pushes on my shoulders so I’m leaning over my knees.  I hope she knows what she’s doing.  I thought doing that made all the blood rush to your head, but I lean down anyway, hanging my head and staring at her bare feet with her little manicured toes that are painted a light bubble-gum pink.  

 

“You know what!  I’m pissed off.”  She’s pacing in front of me now.

 

“Fine, go slap him for me.”

 

She stops and turns to me. “No, pissed at you!”

 

“Me?”

 

She shakes her head at me. “I can’t believe you invited his ex-girlfriend out here Justin.  You’ve lost it.”

 

Fuck.  I try my best to make this situation better.  God you’d think she’d be all sympathetic since I just got punched in the face and all.  “She’s my friend, Meredith.”

 

“Then why didn’t you tell anyone? Why didn’t you ask him if it was ok?  She fucking broke his heart and you’re just rubbing it in his face?  What are you trying to do? Make him freak out and break up with Courtney?” I don’t look at her.   “Ohh….ohh I get it.  Sneaky Justin. Sneaky and stupid.”

 

Now I’m kind of pissed at her.  I mean, this really is none of her business.  I keep her happy, she keeps me happy.  Fuck Trace and whoever else.  “I just got punched in the face by my best friend and you’re gonna sit here and yell at me?”

 

“I wouldn’t call you two best friends anymore.” I glare at her.  “Don’t give me that look.  You know as well as I do you two have been having issues.  I don’t know who started it. I don’t know who’s pushing away who, but I’m not gonna sit here and have you two act like immature little boys with each other.”

 

“He’s the one that won’t tell me anything anymore.  He doesn’t talk to me Mere, about anything.  I talk to him about you all the time, about everything and he….”

 

She throws up her hands and goes and sits on the counter beside the sink across from me.  “Maybe he doesn’t talk to you because he knows he can’t.  I can’t imagine what I’d do if for some god knows reason Megan hated your guts.  I don’t know who’d I’d talk to.  I’m sure our friendship would take a beating because of that.”

 

I know where she’s going and I don’t wanna talk about her.  “Leave Courtney out of this.”

 

“Why Justin?  That’s the entire reason this is happening.  She told me about what happened that night I got sick, about what you did to her.”

 

Shit.  I mean, I knew Mere would find out eventually, but I kind of figured her whole sick-episode would delay all that.  Bitch shouldn’t be stressing my girl out about that shit when she’s sick.  “What?”

 

“You think she wouldn’t?”

 

I get up from where I’m sitting.  The bleeding has stopped I think, and I go over beside her and rinse out the ruined towel.  “I would have thought your assistant wouldn’t want you to stress about her own drama.”

 

I glance at myself in the mirror.  I look fine besides the fact that there’s a little blood stained under my nose.  I hope it doesn’t start to bruise.  And I really do hope it’s not broken.  God I’d love to see the tabloids on that. 

 

“Her drama?! Your drama Justin.  God!  Are you really this immature?”

 

I stop the inspection of my face and look down at her.  “Immature?”

 

“Justin if you don’t like her just ignore her.  Just forget she’s there.”

 

I move and put my hands on both sides of Mere’s hips and lean into her a little. “How can I when she’s so important to two of the people that I love the most?”

 

Her eyes soften a bit. “Then why do you hate her Justin?  God, I can understand like just not really liking her personality ‘cause she doesn’t put herself out there and she can be closed off.  But she’s given you no reason to hate her.” 

 

“I just…”

 

She touches my face softly and shakes her head, “She’s not selling stuff Justin.  And if she is, if she does I’ll handle it.  I’ve handled it before.”

 

“I’ve always had right intuitions about people Mere.  And my gut’s telling me that something bad is gonna happen and it’s going to be her fault.”

 

She rolls her eyes at me, drops her hand, and crosses her arms. “Don’t get all psychic on me Justin.”

 

“Meredith….I can’t help how I feel.”

 

“Fine.  You hate her.” She shrugs but then points a finger at me threateningly. “But don’t ever threaten her again.  And stop trying to ruin your best friend’s relationship.  He’s happy Justin, you should-“

 

I cut her off, “He’s not happy Meredith.”

 

“What?”

 

I know I shouldn’t be saying this.  I know I should keep my opinions and the stuff I view to myself, especially when it has to do with Trace’s emotions.  Sometimes he’s more private about that shit than I am.  But, but Mere’s my girl and I have to explain this to her. 

 

“I know Trace.  And you know how you think something’s going on with me or whatever, well something’s going on with him.  He’s not happy like he used to be Mere.  He was getting there before she came along.  He was getting over Elisha, moving on with his life.  And now, he’s stressed out, he’s worried, he smokes so much now and it used to just be like something he’d do when he was partying or stressed out.  I really feel like she’s wearing him down.”

 

“Maybe he is stressed Justin, but maybe it’s something else entirely.  God, touring is a stressful thing.  Maybe you should ask him.  Maybe…maybe you two should go on vacation together after the tour.” I roll my eyes at her and she moves her feet and tries to lock me in between her so that I’m standing right in front of her.  “Look, when I first met you and saw you and Trace together it was just like so natural between you two.  Don’t think I didn’t notice those little nods and smiles and looks you’d give each other.  It’s like you guys have your own secret language.  And you had all those inside jokes and…and I don’t see that anymore.  It’s not like they disappeared, it’s just that you guys have forgotten them or something.”

 

“I told you before, it just happens sometimes.  Sometimes we just need our space.  We’ll be fine in a few weeks.”  I shrug.  I need to play this down because if I do then maybe it will just all go away.  Blowing it up and making it crazy is just gonna make everything worse.

 

And I don’t want Mere worrying about me any more. And I definitely don’t want her worrying about Trace.

 

“Right.”

 

“We will.”

 

She sighs and gets up, smushed a little in between me and the sink.  It’s funny how any other time I’d try to hold her right now, kiss her, do something, especially with what we were doing when we were interrupted.  But I don’t even think of touching her now.  I know it’s ruined.  I know we won’t be kissing or touching or having sex any time for the rest of the day. 

 

And that, that really fucking sucks.  Especially when right now the thing I need most is my girl.

 

“Don’t blame your deteriorating friendship with Trace on my assistant Justin.  I can’t handle this.  I can’t handle you guys fighting, it stresses me out and the doctor says I need to avoid stressful situations.”

 

I sigh and rub my forehead.  “I didn’t think she’d come.”

 

“What?”

 

I touch the wet towel to my nose a little and the cold cloth makes the burning that’s building in my nose not be so noticeable.  “It was that night you got sick and you were sleeping and I couldn’t sleep if I tried and I just started calling people.  I called my mom, I called some old friends, I called JC and Chris and I called Johnny and, and then her number was in my phone and so I called her and I was thinking about all that went down that night and told her she could come out and see Trace.  Cause…cause I know when I broke up with Britney even after we were done there were times I’d want to see her so bad, especially when I started dating around again, I wanted to test myself.”

 

“So you decided to test Trace.”

 

I sigh.  “I…I don’t know.  I just told her she should come see the show sometime and hang out and the next thing I knew she said she was free this weekend and would fly out.  Hell, I thought she was still dating that other guy.”  I sit back down on the toilet and rub my hand over my forehead.

 

Now I’ve got a headache and I’d give anything to just go back to bed.  If I could just sleep this day away I’d be ok.

 

“I’m going to ask you again…”  I blink and look up at Mere.  She’s closer than I expected, leaning down almost, staring into my eyes.  “What the hell is going on with you?”

 

“Nothing,” I say.

 

She rolls her eyes, turns and fixes her ponytail in the mirror.  “You might be able to lie to everyone else Justin Timberlake, but not me.  And I don’t really appreciate it when my boyfriend stares me right in my eyes and lies straight in my face.”

 

Before I know it she’s left me.  Opened the door and gone out the room. 

 

Fuck.

 

“Mere….” I call out and follow her. She slams the bedroom door.  “Shit.”

 

I suck in a breath and walk over to my bag on the floor and get some shorts to pull over myself.  I quickly move over to the door and open it.  “Mere?”

 

She’s sitting on the arm of a chair, Trace is on the couch watching TV and I don’t know where Elisha is.  Mere stares at me with a challenging look in her eyes. “Apologize to Trace.”

 

Oh hell no.  Now I’m really pissed.  “Don’t do this mothering shit, Meredith.”

 

“Fine.”  She shrugs and goes over and sits beside Trace.  She puts her feet up on the table and glares at me for a second and then turns her attention to the TV.

 

“I can’t believe you’re siding with-”

 

She sits up quickly and I realize I shouldn’t have picked this fight with her.  ‘Cause she’s not in the mood and I’m learning that any argument I have with Meredith, I’m probably gonna lose.  She’s got more of a fighter in her than I ever realized.  “I’m not siding with anyone Justin.  I make my own fucking decisions about things, and right now you’re being an asshole and I think you should apologize to Trace.”

 

“I-”

 

She cuts me off and waves her hands about.  Great now I’ve got her all excited and anxious.  And she hasn’t had any food in her system.  Fuck.  “God Justin, how would you feel if Trace had invited Britney or one of your other ex-girlfriends up here and didn’t tell you?  How do you think I would feel?”  She pauses for only a moment and starts to nod her head slowly.  “Oh….oh I get it now.  This has nothing to do with Trace and everything to do with pissing Courtney off.  Genius.  Fucking genius.”  She’s barely dressed in just her tank and shorts but I see her go over to the kitchen counter and grab my hoodie that was lying there along with her purse and her cell phone.

 

“Mere…”   She grabs the shit in her hands and starts to tug my sweatshirt over her head.  She ignores me and walks to the entrance of the suite.  “Mere!”

 

She slams the door behind her and she’s gone.

 

Fucking. Shit.

 

“You’ve lost it.”  Trace says after a moment, still staring at the TV.

 

“You’re the one punching people.”

 

He turns the TV off and stands up, staring at me.  He looks like Meredith did in the bathroom now.  Angry, livid, and with a little bit of sadness and fear back there somewhere.  “I don’t know what your purpose was in inviting her up here, but it didn’t work.  In fact it just made everything between me and you really fucked up.  So have a nice fucking day. I’m gonna go hang out with my girlfriend.”

 

I rub my forehead and go and sit on the chair near the couch.  I close my eyes and wait for it.  It takes longer than I expect and I run my hands over my face.

 

And then I hear it.  The door slams and I’m left all alone.

 

Sometimes I make myself sick with how much of a fuck-up I am.

Chapter 32 by Mere

2:53 p.m. Beale Street

 

I haven’t really spoken to him in five days. I mean I’ve said stuff that I’ve had to, but I haven’t gone out of my way to have a conversation with him, and he’s been as distant with me as I have with him. I guess we just need our distance for a while. It’s nothing serious.

 

I don’t think.

 

I’m must be just really starting to feel it today because we’re back home and normally when we’re back home we stroll into town like gods and we do it together, we go visit each others families together, we throw a big barbecue together, we go out to eat and go into Memphis together. I mean, we did have a big blow out fight but also Justin’s been sick, and when he’s sick he never wants to do anything with anyone.

 

Courtney’s sick, too.

 

A few days ago, Meredith got some type of cold just right after she was dehydrated. The doctor said that that whole situation kind of sprung the cold or flu or whatever since her body was so weak. But then I got sick. And then Courtney did and now Justin. And Justin’s such a little bitch when he’s sick. He’s back home, resting up for the show tomorrow, getting pampered by his mother and his grandma and whoever else. I asked Courtney if she’d go to my parents and let them take care of her, ya know get in a nice bed with a nice quilt, have momma make her some homemade soup. But no, she was determined to cure herself in the hotel.

 

I hated that. I hated that she got a hotel room. I mean I didn’t really invite her to my house to like meet the parents or anything big like that. I just thought she might want some pampering when she’s sick, some home-like nurturing and nothing says that better than a good southern household.

 

I guess in a way she’s still mad at me. Almost as mad as I am at Justin. We keep fighting and fighting. The whole Elisha thing made us blow up at each other. She claimed I shouldn’t have gotten that upset, that that meant I was still in love with her. And then I got mad at Courtney and told her that maybe I still was. I mean god damn I was engaged to the woman.

 

I’m getting over her and I’m not going to get back with her. I don’t want to get back with her. But she can’t just assume that I’ve completely forgotten about Elisha or that I don’t still think about her every now and then, or that seeing her doesn’t bother me.

 

And she’s, I don’t know. She’s being distant. It’s like, she was mad I wouldn’t stick up for her, so then when I do and pretty much ruin my closest friendship in the process, she’s still not happy. I’m not, I’m not this perfect guy. I’m not going to be. I don’t expect her to be perfect.

 

Maybe I just need to chill out. It’s not just us. Everyone’s been fighting. Meredith and Justin had a screaming match the other day on the way to Memphis when she was sick. We all rode on the bus together and I don’t really know how it started, but they were in the back and we were up front and they just started yelling at each other, blaming each other for stupid shit accusing each other of not caring enough or not being serious enough or something. Courtney sat there and laughed at them, but when Meredith started coughing so hard she started crying I went and hugged her and told Justin to chill out and got her something to drink.

 

Courtney just stared at me when I did it, as if it was wrong of me to do. I don’t know. Everyone’s just acting weird lately. I know that Meredith’s been quieter than normal around Courtney. I’ve seen it. Hell, she’s been quieter around everyone.

 

I guess that’s why I was so shocked when she called me up this morning, actually woke me up and begged me to save her form the boredom that was Justin’s house. I didn’t really understand her at first cause I figured she’d love being back home with him since his family loves her almost more than he does. I asked her what she wanted to do and she said she wanted me to show her around Memphis and get her “out of this damned house”.

 

So I got up, got dressed, let my mom cook me some breakfast even though I wasn’t that hungry and headed over to Justin’s. I just honked the horn and she came out all stylish with big sunglasses a little dress and some flip flops. Teddy was behind her, yawning. I took her to Beale Street and we walked around for a bit, going into a few shops along the way and then went for lunch. I’ve actually been having a pretty good time. It’s been peaceful, relaxing. We haven’t really talked that much. In fact at lunch most of the conversation happened between me and Teddy. She just kind of sat there.

 

She’s been quiet.

 

It’s been a good day, a weird day. The crowd started this morning when we went into this old club/bar that I sometimes hang out at. It wasn’t open, but the owner and some workers were there and I wanted to go in and say hi and I introduced them to Meredith. When we left there were some paparazzi and a few fans. I don’t know how they found us but I guess since the show’s in town they came out of the wood works. Normally if we just come home to visit everyone gives us our space. It’s kind of cool actually. People just want to know how we’re doing back in Millington. But when there’s a show, when it’s announced to the world we’re gonna be home, it can be annoying as hell in Memphis. It’s one thing for the assholes to be annoying us in LA, it’s another thing when it’s in my home town.

 

Meredith surprised me. Despite her subdued nature today, she’s been very polite to everyone, signed a few autographs, even waved at the paparazzi. They asked her where Justin was and she just shrugged and made a goofy face. By the time we went to get lunch there was a crowd outside. I guess I’m use to it with Justin, but I didn’t realize how hot of a little celebrity Meredith had become. I’m sure being with Justin has helped, but there was a pretty big crowd. People were yelling at her, asking her to stop for pictures, asking where Justin was, asking her why she was with me. She just smiled and waved.

 

But even though she’s maintained this appearance of perfection, of the beautiful, sexy singer, I can tell something’s going on with her. The normal bubbly girl has been quiet today. I know she’s getting over a cold, I am too. I’ve had a headache most of the morning. I just feel like maybe she’s got some shit on her mind, and I wonder if she’s going to spill any of it to me.

 

Cause I mean, I know I can be a good listener. I just don’t know if I wanna hear her shit, as rude as that sounds. I know she’s got friends for this stuff and right now I’m not in the mood to play mediator in between her and her boyfriend.

 

I mean I don’t know. It’s not my job to take care of her. It’s Courtney’s and Justin’s. But I guess they’re both not available right now, both grumpy and sick. And since I’m supposed to take care of Justin and taking care of Justin means making him happy then…hell I don’t know. I really like Meredith. I really do, I just feel like she’s changing Justin and I don’t know if it’s for the better.

 

What am I saying, of course it’s for the better. She makes him happy, I guess it’s just that when she’s not around he kind of loses it. And it’s like he’s getting obsessed with her. He’s done that before, he’s gotten too into a girl and scared her away. Hell, I don’t know. I guess I’m just trying to find some reason other than myself for the fact that our friendship is, I don’t know, I hate to say dying but maybe that’s what’s happening.

 

It’s been 25 years. We’re bound to get tired and fed up after a while. Shit, most people aren’t even married this long.

 

Marriage…shit.

 

Ya know ever since Elisha showed up I’ve been thinking a lot. And I can’t even believe I was going to get married to her, or to anyone. I just, I’m not the marrying type of guy. It’s just not my style. I don’t know. I don’t think I even want kids.

 

I don’t know what I’ve been thinking lately. And Courtney’s been so moody and weird and it’s not helping anything. I don’t know. I guess she had a right to be upset about Elisha coming up but I didn’t think it was fair for her to dish that out on me. ‘Lish just came to my hotel room and tried to talk to me and that’s when I took her to Justin’s room and punched him.

 

I don’t know what came over me. I just, I was fed up with everyone. And I could just hear Courtney in the back of my mind saying ‘stand up for me, do it, don’t be a pussy Trace’.

 

What Justin did, and what he’s been doing has been wrong, very, very wrong. But I know, I know now that I’ve punched him I’m the one that’s crossed the line and fucked it up beyond repair, and I don’t know what the hell to do now.

 

I’m kind of afraid that punching him was probably the last straw and that soon I’ll be looking for a new job. Maybe I want a new job. Maybe I’m tired of living in his shadow and just being known for being Justin’s friend and nothing else. Maybe I do need a break from him, from this lifestyle.

 

“Let’s go in here…”

 

It’s weird driving around downtown Memphis. Usually when I’m here, I find a place to park and just walk around Beale Street but since the crowd got bigger it’s safer to drive. I park at a meter space against the street and turn back around to look at Mere in the back seat.

 

She’s staring down at her phone. “Is that ok?”

 

“Huh?” She looks up at me and then over to the store. “Oh yeah sure.”

 

“Great, I actually use to work here several years ago.” I open the car door, close it and wait for everyone to get out before I lock it with the keyless entry. Meredith is giving me a silly smile when she comes back over to me, slipping her phone into her sling purse over her shoulder.

 

I reach into my pocket and feed a quarter into the meter.

 

“You worked?”

 

“Dork,” I say and go to ruffle her hair but she ducks out of my way. “I haven’t always been Justin’s muppet and I haven’t always been a rich snob.”

 

“Fooled me.” She nudges me and I just laugh and walk into the store.

 

They got some music lightly playing and the racks look full, which is good, means they haven’t been having problems with not getting enough stock in. It’s a weird store, reminds me of a boutique or something they’d have in LA with all the designer and cool shit they have. But at the same time this store is pure Tennessee and the style is something you wouldn’t find anywhere else.

 

I haven’t been in the store more than three seconds when I hear, “Ayala, what the fuck?”

 

“Sup JP!” The skinny, completely tattooed man is in front of me in no time, slapping hands with me and pulling me into a small hug. I use to work here for JP when my parents would make me come back to Memphis at periods of time when Nsync was on tour. They didn’t like me being in Orlando by myself, plus, I guess it was a good experience and I guess it was good to be home those months. Sometimes I felt like I had these two lives; the Orlando life where I was crazy and partying and fucking around all the time, and then the Memphis life where I worked during the day and went home to have dinner with my parents and then I’d watch tv and go to sleep and so the same thing the next day.

 

And now, now it’s an escape. This store brings back memories and makes me at ease. Now this place is maybe, maybe going to let me to do what I want, going to let me finally get my shit out there.

 

“It’s good to see you man.”

 

He smiles and then looks to the right of me. His eye brows raise and he looks back over to me, smiling. Mere’s got her sunglasses on the top of her head and is looking around the store, completely oblivious to the fact that this guy in front of her just checked her out, or maybe she is aware and just ignores it. “Who’s this?” JP asks with a wink.

 

“This is Justin’s girl, you know Meredith Craven.” I look at Mere who’s now looking at me and then him, smiling. I point to JP. “Mere this is JP Davis, he owns this shit hole.”

 

“Shit hole is keeping you busy fucker.” He pushes at my shoulder lightly, laughs and then turns to walk further in the store. We follow him to the front counter that’s covered with stickers from different bands and different southern sayings. He gets behind it and says, “How’s the designs going?”

 

“Good, I brought a few to show you,” I lay the folder I’ve been carrying all day on the glass. There are buttons and belts and other things in the case. God I love this store, I love the style and I hope maybe one day soon they’ll sell my shit here. “My buddy out in Vegas was really fucking excited about it.”

 

“Designs?” Meredith is staring at me.

 

“Yeah…” JP says, “Trace here is gonna be the next huge jean designer.”

 

The look in her face is pure excitement. “What?” But it fades and she narrows her eyes, “Does Justin know…” I stare at her, bite my lip and then look at JP.

 

He seems to understand the predicament I’m in. Justin knows, of course. It’s not something I’m hiding from him, but the way she said that was like I’m going behind Justin’s back or something.

 

And I don’t wanna get into this with her, especially here.

 

JP calls out behind him, through the curtain that goes to the back room. “Hey Nik…”

 

I don’t really know Nikole that well, she was hired only a few weeks before I left to go with Justin to Virginia Beach. She’s super trendy and fashionable, and a cute girl, but sometimes really quiet. She waves at me and JP points to Meredith. “Show this nice young lady some of that knew stuff we got in...”

 

She looks at Meredith and asks, “2 or 4?”

 

“4…” Mere rolls her eyes and smacks her butt a little. “I have an ass and hips.”

 

Meredith is following Nikole through the store in a matter of minutes and I watch her. I can already tell by her smiles that she’s loving it, and probably annoying the hell out of Nikole. I know the girl loves to shop, Courtney says she annoys her about it almost everyday but she rarely gets the chance too, especially lately with everyone being really sick.

 

“Cute little thing.”

 

I turn back to JP who’s watching her walk around. I guess I’ve kind of forgotten how this can be. Justin always dates super hot chicks and it’s only on rare occasions that I get to be alone with Justin’s girl or get to take her out. So when I do I get to really see how other people stare and look. And when you’ve got a hot, little celebrity like Mere, it’s just worse. “Yeah, she’s a cool girl.”

 

“Where’s JT?”

 

I shrug and it turns into a yawn. God I gotta get more sleep or that cold is gonna come back. I stayed up way too late playing cards and drinking beers with my dad last night. “He’s got a cold or something so he’s staying at home and letting his mom baby his grown ass.”

 

JP stares at me for a moment, “You alright?”

 

I could spill it all right now. I could tell him that Justin’s an asshole, I could tell him that Justin is torturing my girlfriend, I could tell him that my girlfriend is…I don’t know, different from my normal girls. I could tell him that I’m scared to make this super serious with her, because of Justin, because of myself, because I’m not so sure I really know who Courtney is.

 

I could tell him everything right now and I know JP would tell Nik to take care of Meredith and we’d go in the back and he’d pull out the whiskey he keeps in his desk drawer or even share a joint with me and he’d let me talk and he wouldn’t say anything, to anyone.

 

But don’t say a damn thing, not because I don’t trust him, but because I don’t want to burden anyone else with my pathetic drama.

 

It’s funny too. JP isn’t one of these friends I call or something. I just try and stop by when I come back home and that’s pretty much it.

 

I guess I’m just itching to tell…anyone.

 

But I don’t, I keep it to myself and hope that it’ll just go away. God I hope it goes away before I explode.

 

I already have exploded. I punched my best friend and it just made everything for everyone worse.

 

I rub the back of my head. This whole mohawk thing seems like a stupid idea now. Maybe I’ll shave it back again, or grow it out. Hell, I don’t know. “Yeah, it’s just been a helluva couple weeks on tour.”

 

“I hear ya.” He nods at me and points over his shoulder. “We just got all this shit to go through and put out. And then get back with designers and let them know what’s selling. Surprisingly we’ve been super busy lately. I just don’t know if I’ll be able to sit down with you today about your sketches.”

 

“It’s cool.” I understand what that means. That means he has shit load to do and not a lot of time to talk, which is good, cause if he did have time I’d probably start rambling about everything. “I brought some copies and just figured you could call me back later on in the week or something and let me know what’s up.”

 

I hear Meredith squeal and look over and see her holding an over sized shirt up to Teddy who looks annoyed as hell. I look back at JP and smile, “Get back to work. I’m gonna go make sure the girls have drowned themselves in t-shirts.”

 

JP nods and I turn and walk towards where Meredith is following Nikole back to the dressing rooms. I look up at Teddy. He looks bored with the world. I should have asked him if it was ok to come here. I couldn’t imagine being a bodyguard for a girl. At least with Justin and his bodyguards if they have to wait somewhere they can talk about guy stuff. Teddy just has to put up with the squeals and the giggles and the shopping and the spas and the salons.

 

While Nikole is pulling an empty clothing rack in the dressing room area and hanging the stuff from her and Meredith’s arms up on it, I smile at Mere and laugh, “You look like you just saw Santa Claus.”

 

“I think I did.” She giggles as Nikole takes all the clothes she has and hangs them up for her by a dressing room, and then opens the door for her. Meredith hands her purse and glasses to Teddy who is already in one of the couches in the waiting area outside the dressing rooms. “Nik’s gonna just grab me random shit to try on….” Meredith’s halfway into the dressing room when she turns back and looks at me cautiously, “Is…is that ok?”

 

“Yeah, take your time. I’m just gonna sit down here and chill. I’m use to this sorta thing.”

 

She smiles again and shuts the door and I go and sit in a chair against the wall. I look at the table in front of me with some magazines on it but don’t see anything that’s worth picking up. Nik starts putting some more clothes on the track and Teddy leans his head back and closes his eyes against the back of the couch. I pull out my phone to try and see if I have any messages. I was hoping Courtney might let me know how she’s doing.

 

Of course she hasn’t. I haven’t talked to her all day. I called her this morning to see if she wanted to go out with us, but I just got her voice mail.

 

“So…so you design clothes?” I hear Meredith say in a muffled voice through the dressing room.

 

I look up at the closed door, I can see her bare feet through the opening at the bottom of the door. “Yeah, I’ve dabbled in sketching for a long, long time but just lately I’ve gotten serious.” She’s quiet for a while and I bet she’s in there thinking I’m a homo. Maybe dad actually flat out asked me if I was queer when I told him about it a few months ago. “I know it’s like the gayest thing ever.”

 

“No, that’s really cool Trace.” The door swings opens and she comes out, walking towards me but staring at herself in the tall, wide mirror tacked up on the same wall my chair is against. She has on jeans and a little ripped, stylish top. She walks up to the wall length mirror and turns to the side, still looking at herself. “Do you have any samples or anything?”

 

“There’s some in production.”

 

She turns her eyes to me and smiles. “I wanna see. Maybe I can be a spokeswoman for it or something.”

 

I roll my eyes at her and laugh, “Maybe….”

 

She heads back in the dressing room and Teddy starts to snore. We both look at him and she giggles a little and shakes her head. She turns her eyes to me suddenly and her smile fades away, “Hey…do you wanna talk?”

 

Here it comes. Great.

 

“About?”

 

“I don’t know.” She leans against the frame of her dressing room door and reaches over to pull some more clothes off the rack. “All the shit that’s been happening lately. Cause I mean, I know he’s my boyfriend, and you know I love him more than anything, but that doesn’t really mean I agree with everything he’s done lately.”

 

“It’s fine Mere. Don’t stress about it.”

 

She pouts a little and hangs up some more clothes in her dressing room. “Trace, you’re my friend whether you wanna believe it or not. And I care about you and I care about your friendship with Justin.”

 

I lean forward and stretch my arms out in front of me, avoiding her stare. “Maybe we should talk about this later.”

 

“Right.” She sounds pissed and slams the dressing room door. Fuck. She doesn’t speak for a few seconds and then immediately starts yelling at me from inside. “God you two are more alike than you want to admit! ‘Talk about it later’, meaning shut up Mere and try on your stupid little clothes and forget about it. That’s what it means. God you both just want to shut up about any problems and just hope that I forget about it. Well I don’t and the more I sit here and wait around to talk about them the more stressed I get. I don’t want to get sick again, Trace! And Courtney’s not helping, being a fucking weirdo.”

 

She comes out again with a skirt and a blousy top. I realize now that Nikole has come back and is standing there, staring at me and then at Meredith as she puts a few more pieces of clothing on the rack. I kind of wave at her to let her know we don’t need any more help. I hope she’ll just leave us alone because I don’t want her hearing about all my drama either. I stare at Meredith and she’s glaring at herself in the mirror.

 

“Hey…”

 

She turns and waves her hands around frantically. “I don’t care if she’s your girlfriend Trace! She’s freaking me out!”

 

Teddy opens his eyes, clears his throat, stares at her and brings his finger to his lips. Then closes his eyes again.

 

“So now you believe that shit he says?” I glare back at her. I can’t believe this shit. I knew Mere was all in love and everything, but I thought she was kind of a smart girl and could think for herself.

 

I guess not.

 

“No I don’t believe him!” She sighs and her shoulders slump and she shuffles back into her room. “I just don’t know why the hell she hates me so much. I thought we were getting close. I thought maybe she’d wanna be my friend. But no, I just annoy the snot out of her. She never wants to talk about anything but work and…and I just don’t know if I can deal with it anymore.”

 

I’m getting pissed off and I lean back and cross my arms over my chest and say sarcastically, “That’s nice, Mere. Fire her because your boyfriend hates her. That’s a good girl, thinking for yourself and all.”

 

She opens the door to the dressing room and it kind of startles me because I wasn’t expecting that. And I definitely wasn’t expecting to see her there in a pair of shorts and only holding up a shirt against her chest, with one arm and holding the door open with the other. She’s barely got it covering her, but that’s not what gets to me. What gets to me is the look in her eyes. She still amazes me when she gets that evil, scary look in her eyes. I always seem to forget that Mere has a bit of a fiery temper. She glares at me and points to me with her hand that’s holding the door open.

 

“Don’t. Don’t you dare! Don’t fucking start with me, Trace. Ya know what sucks? Here I am in the middle of all yall’s shit, trying to keep everyone together, trying to do my job at the same time and not lose my head, trying to keep all of you from killing each other because believe it or not I do care about all three of you. And it’s like, don’t talk about it with Meredith, don’t let Meredith worry, Meredith doesn’t know what’s she doing, just make her stay out of it. Well fuck that! You’ve put me in the middle of it so I feel like I have to do something or my head might explode.” She slams the door again.

 

Nik comes out, peeking her head around the corner and says in a raspy, quiet voice, “Are you guys ok?”

 

“Yeah, yeah, I think she’s got all the clothes she needs for right now.” Nik nods at me. I think she understands, at least I hope so. God I hope this doesn’t get on the page of US Weekly that Mere is throwing a tantrum.

 

“God dammit Trace!” Mere says again, after a moment from her dressing room. “Like…like ya know, you might go back to Justin and tell him this and he might get terrified but I don’t care. I can see myself with him…” She pauses and comes back out of her room. She doesn’t immediately go to look herself in the mirror this time. I think I’m starting to realize now how much of a fast clothing changer she is.

 

She shakes her head and comes closer to me. “I can really see myself with him forever.” She sighs and runs her hands through her hair finally looking at herself in the mirror. She looks miserable though, fucking miserable. “Like maybe not now, but in a few years I can see it happening, see us getting married and I know that scares the shit out of him. And he probably doesn’t even want to get married or have kids or anything. And whatever…I’ll deal with that later. But right now…”

 

She runs her hands over face and looks like she might cry. I guess, I guess I never realized how much stress Justin’s been putting on Mere, how much stress we’ve all been putting on her. I start to get the feeling that maybe me and her have a hell of a lot more in common right now that I wanted to believe at first.

 

“Right now I can’t handle not being able to help him when he’s upset. It’s like he needs to be a team with me and let me help him figure out what’s going on with him. But no, he just wants to push everyone away and not worry anyone. And I hate to say this but I kind of feel like you aren’t helping the situation.” I open my mouth to defend myself but she cuts me off. “I know, I know he’s done some shit to you that’s been very unfair and I’ve talked to him about it several, several times. But ya know, so what? You’re his friend. God Megan and I piss each other off all the time but we get over it.”

 

She sighs and goes to sit on the edge of the coffee table. She looks up at me. “And, and I want to be Courtney’s friend, Trace. I really, really do. And I feel like this whole fight is just making it worse. It’s making her hate me or something. And I’m going to really try to talk some sense into Justin, but I can only do so much. I know he’s a flawed man. I know he has some demons he doesn’t want anyone to know about, but I don’t care. I love him and that’s not gonna change. I’m sorry.”

 

“Courtney doesn’t hate you, Mere,” I say and sigh. “She just, she’s got a lot of issues.”

 

She shakes her head and pushes herself off the table, going over to the mirror again. “Who fucking doesn’t Trace! That’s not an excuse to not try to at least be nice to someone.”

 

“She’s not nice to you? She’s the one that deals with all your shit. Don’t you remember the paparazzi coming to your house and when you got sick, how much she helped you out then?”

 

“She’s cordial to me, and polite and does what she has to, Trace. She’s nice because she has to, not because she wants to. I don’t know, maybe I’m too sensitive. I just thought maybe she’d want to be my friend or at least have a little fun with me and hang out. But it’s like that’s the worst thing for her to even think about. I don’t see what the big deal is. I’m not asking her to be my best friend. I just wish she wouldn’t act like hanging out with me was worse than the plague. It really makes me think that maybe I really am a little annoying brat.” She turns and heads back to the dressing room and turns to lean her shoulder and head against the doorway again, staring right at me.

 

“I’ll invite her to hang out all the time and she never ever wants to. I try to be girly with her and she gets annoyed and then I try not to be girly with her and she gets annoyed. I try to ask her if she wants to do something, hang out or whatever and even tell her she can pick out something for us to do, whatever she wants. And she just doesn’t care. It…it kind of hurts my feelings.”

 

She shakes her head and looks away, “And not to be echoing my boyfriend but it does make her shady, Trace. I can see how Justin could be suspicious of her. Now he shouldn’t treat her like he has, but I can see being worried.”

 

I take a breath, even though Meredith was the one that just ran her mouth a mile a minute I’m sitting here drained and tired. I guess I just never knew she was feeling all that, or that Courtney was that closed off to Meredith.

 

Maybe, maybe she is just being too sensitive. “I don’t know what to say.”

 

She shakes her head and waves her hand, letting the door close behind her. She just looked annoyed beyond belief and I don’t know who’s she’s annoyed at, me, Courtney, Justin, herself, or all of us. “I’m sorry. You don’t have to say anything. I just…I needed to vent and I’m sorry I let it out on you.”

 

“It’s alright. I wouldn’t worry too much Meredith. She likes you, she’s just getting over some past drama and you and Justin are like the worlds perfect couple. So don’t worry, nothing bad’s gonna happen to you guys.”

 

“We’re not perfect, though Trace,” she says defensively.

 

“Yes you are. You never fight and when you do it’s about stupid, silly stuff. You guys never have problems.”

 

“Right.”

 

It’s quiet again and I have to wonder if I’ve said something wrong. Maybe she’s just not going to argue with me about the perfectness thing. Or maybe, maybe something’s going on that I don’t know about. I mean, that could be it. I didn’t realize all this other shit that she just laid out on me. No, no I doubt it. I’m sure her and Justin are fine, it’s just been a stressful past few weeks. I hear her say a moment later from the dressing room, “Maybe I should get Justin a shirt or something, something to make him feel a little better.”

 

“That would be nice.” I look down at my watch, I hope she’s almost done. I’m so ready to leave.

 

She comes out, almost all the clothes she took in are draped over her arm meaning she’ll probably purchase them all and she smiles at me, looking completely happy again, at ease, regular bubbly Meredith. “You should do the same for Courtney…”

 

I cringe at first because, because ya know I would never really think to do those things. And maybe that’s our problem. Mere thinks about Justin all the time, probably too much. I mean I think about Courtney but it’s usually about our problems, or trying to figure out if she’s really mad at me or if she’s just playing around, or if it’s something serious or if she’ll get over it. I’m never really thinking like, maybe I should do this or that to make her smile and make her happy. Just because or whatever.

 

Maybe, maybe that’s a bad thing. Maybe its not that Meredith and Justin are perfect, maybe they just try not to dwell on their flaws. They’re better together, they’re happier as a couple.

 

I just, I’m not sure if I can say the same thing about Courtney. I hate admitting that. I do. I just have to wonder if I was better before she came into my life.

 

That’s…God that’s a horrible thing to say. I was lonely, depressed, fucked in the head about Elisha. And…and now I’m not…as much.

 

Meredith’s right. I don’t know if I’ll get her clothes, but maybe some flowers or something, just a little something to show her I thought about her. Fuck, I don’t even know what Courtney would really like, she’d probably complain the flowers would make her sneeze or something.

 

Dammit, I just I wish I could shut my brain off. Meredith’s still standing there, Teddy’s now up and she’s loading the clothes onto his arms. She looks at me and smiles, “I’ll help you pick something out.”

 

I try and smile and nod, “Alright…maybe I’ll do that.”

 

I just hope whatever Mere helps me pick out doesn’t make Courtney mad or remind her of anything from the past few days and I hope whatever’s going on with everyone right now is over in a week. Cause I just don’t know how much more I can take.

 

------

 

“You alright?”

 

I glance over at the girl in the front seat and ease my grip on the steering wheel and slow down. We’re on country roads now, but I still have to be careful. Sometimes the Shelby County Sheriff Department like to play hardball out here. Especially my Uncle Andy, the fucker.

 

She sighs and puts her phone down in her lap, and then leans forward and slips it into her purse. She’s been on it the whole ride back, typing at it furiously. “Since Court’s sick I’ve been trying to get all my shit together for when we go to Atlanta next week. It’s like 45 minutes from my parent’s house so they’ll be at the show and I’m debating whether I want to stay with them. I don’t know if Justin wants to, or if anyone really wants to cause they’re house is nice but it’s not huge. And Megan’s coming down and I think she’s gonna bring her boyfriend so I gotta have places for them to stay. And Angie’s talking like she might show up and since Court’s sick I’m trying to line up all the stuff myself so she doesn’t have to worry about it.”

 

“Do you want me to help?” I ask.

 

“No no, I can do it. It won’t be that big of a deal.”

 

It’s quiet again and I look in my rear view mirror. I think maybe Teddy is sick too, he’s asleep again. That isn’t good.

 

I glance at her and she’s staring out the window with a concerned look on her face. She hasn’t really lightened up all afternoon, but she’s gone back into her quiet mood again. She helped me pick something out for Courtney. At first I was unsure because everything I picked out Meredith would tell me no. I wanted to get her this vase at an antique store but then Meredith asked me where Courtney would put it on tour and I told her she had a good point. We went into this one place that had all these satchels and organization stuff and Meredith said she’d hurt me if I got Courtney something work related. Finally Meredith saw this hand made quilt. The pattern and colors in it are actually pretty cool and it doesn’t look super country or grandma like. Meredith said Courtney’s always complaining how cold the hotel rooms or the bus is. So maybe, maybe she’ll like it.

 

Meredith got Justin some clothes and at the antique store they had this little stuffed animal monkey with cymbals on his hands. It was some inside joke, but she was all smiles as she bought it.

 

Maybe, maybe that’s what I’m most upset about. I guess in a way Meredith is taking my place. Now her and Justin have all the little jokes and the stories and...and I don’t.

 

I sigh and finally just let out what I’ve been debating to say to her all afternoon, “I’m sorry I punched Justin, Meredith. I really am.”

 

“He kind of deserved it.”

 

“Yeah, but I still shouldn’t of handled it like that. I’m going to try to make an effort and just stay out of this drama. It’s just so hard when Justin treats Courtney bad and then she’s sitting there going, ‘stick up for me’. And then when I do stick up for her or myself or whatever, I end up punching him.”

 

I glance over and she’s looking at me really sincerely and sweetly, truly sympathizing with me. Sometimes, and I know this is weird, I kind of wish she was my girl. Like I don’t fantasize about her because I can’t allow myself to cross that line. I just, she seems to hate drama and just be fun and I know Justin is so fucking happy with her and all the issues he has right now, even if he says they have to do with her, it’s all about himself. She’s the best thing that’s ever happened to him.

 

And I shouldn’t think that because I have Courtney, but I guess sometimes, sometimes I just wish I had a girl who didn’t have all this insane baggage and Mere, if she has baggage she’s taken care of it, she works it out herself and deals with it. I just get so mad cause I wish Justin would open his eyes and really see what he had in front of him.

 

Maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about. Maybe Meredith just hasn’t lived enough to have any baggage.

 

“It’s ok, Trace. I understand. And I don’t think Justin is really mad at you. I think he thinks Courtney is a disease and is more worried about you than anything.”

 

“That just pisses me off though,” I kind of laugh and start to slow down as I approach Justin’s. “Cause she’s not a disease.”

 

“I’m really going to try to talk to him, ok? Maybe you could talk to Courtney and let her know I’m not some hellish annoying brat, at least not all the time.”

 

I turn down Justin’s driveway and sigh, “She likes you Mere, she just…she’s had a lot of problems with her previous jobs and relationships, so she tries to be super professional with everything.”

 

“I just don’t see why she doesn’t tell me this stuff herself. I’m not going to judge her. I’m a nice person, I swear.”

 

“I know, girl. You’re pretty awesome.” I park the car and turn off the engine. I don’t want to go in, but I know Lynn will ask questions if I don’t come in and say hi.

 

Meredith gets out and I do as well, yelling at Teddy. He wakes up with a bit of a start and I laugh and tell him that we’re back home. He moves out of the car and stretches his back and arms. When I come around the front of the car, I’m looking down at my keys and before I know it I’m being attacked in a hug.

 

She pulls back quickly, bags dangling form her hands and arms, “Thanks for taking me out today, it was nice to be able to hang out with you and get away from everything for a bit.”

 

I ruffle her hair, this time she’s unable to duck from me and I laugh as her hair sticks up on top of her head. “You’re a good girl and I’m really happy Justin has you and whether he knows it or not, this…this is a big deal girl and if he plays his cards right he might get to have you for a long ass time.”

 

She smiles wide and I can tell behind her sunglasses her eyes are sparkling and shit. I want that. Dammit, I want to make a girl that happy. I wish I could make Courtney that happy. I walk to the front door and knock twice and then let myself in and walk through the foyer. “Just me,” I say.

 

Lynn’s there in no time smiling at me, she has a dish towel in one hand and says, “Ya’ll have fun?”

 

We walk further in the house and Mere steps out in front of me, drops her multiples bags on the floor and laughs and goes to jump on the cough. I hear an “umph.”

 

I smile and look at Lynn, “Yeah, she went crazy…” I follow her further into the den and glance to see that Meredith’s is now lying on top of Justin, poking him in his arms and chest. He’s got a remote in one hand and is trying to push her away even though he’s chuckling.

 

Maybe, maybe I should go straight to the hotel and see Courtney.

 

“Are you still grumpy grumps?” Meredith asks. She pulls back, turning to lie on her side in front of him. He nods and she kisses him.

 

“You ok, guy?” I jump when I feel an arm around my shoulder and relax when I see it’s just Lynn. “You haven’t been around as much this go ‘round.”

 

I laugh and don’t let her know that me and her son are close to killing each other, “Stressed to the max mom.”

 

She nods, swats at me with her dish towel and moves back through the room to the kitchen, yelling at Justin and Mere that dinner will be ready in an hour.

 

I stand there for a minute and turn around and see Teddy has gone. He probably came straight in and went to take a nap in one of the guest rooms. I sigh. Now it’s just me and the couple of the year. They’re now kissing pretty heavily on the couch. He’s dropped the remote and I should probably high tail it out of here.

 

I wonder if Courtney would wanna hang out when I get to the hotel. Probably not. She’s probably too tired to even try to make out with me. Probably too pissed to even let me see her naked. She hasn’t let me have sex with her in four days, and as much as I want to blame it on everyone being sick, I know that’s not the case.

 

I sigh and walk a little closer to the couch so maybe they’ll realize I’m there. They don’t so I clear my throat and say, “Hey, I’m heading out.”

 

Meredith pulls back and sits up a little, smiling at me. She raises her hand so I can give her a high five. “You’re awesome mutant.” She says, “I loves you.”

 

“Hey!” Justin smacks her ass.

 

If I did anything like that with Courtney in front of other people she’d probably get mad at me. This is bad. I shouldn’t be comparing them. I like Courtney, I do. She’s hot and she makes me think and makes me work hard. It’s good for me.

 

I shouldn’t want a lazy, easy relationship. I shouldn’t want to be the couple in front of me. I should want what I already have.

 

Mere smiles, kisses Justin again and squeezes herself against him. “I loves you, too.”

 

She’s snuggled up to him soon after, oblivious to my presence, completely wrapped up in her boyfriend, smiling at him as he resituates himself so she can lay against his chest.

 

“You alright?” I look at Justin and he’s staring at me. I look away down at his dogs that are sleeping on the floor in front of the TV. They didn’t even get up when I came in. God, maybe they’ve got the cold, too.

 

“Yeah I’m better.”

 

“Good.” I look back and Justin’s just staring at me, no emotion on his face. I nod, that’s all I’m going to get out of him for right now and as much as he’s an asshole and did things I’m not sure I’ll be able to forgive, I really don’t blame him for being so short with me.

 

I wave my hand at him and turn, “I’ll talk to you guys later.”

 

I make it back to my car and as I sit there in the driveway with the engine running and the a/c full blast I wonder what the hell is going on in my life. It’s like it was fine, fun, alright ya know just a few weeks ago…and now, now I don’t know what the fuck is going on.

 

I pull my phone out and call Courtney. I hope she’ll answer and I hope to god that in the next few days she changes my mind and makes me realize that this is worth it, that she’s worth losing my best friend.

 

Chapter 33 by Mere

Atlanta, 2:30 p.m.

 

I think I’m pregnant.  Like, not just an, “oh it could happen,” like I really might be pregnant.  Truly and seriously.  I’ve been wondering this for a few days because I’ve been nauseous and sick and well, I fucking haven’t gotten my period in 2 fucking weeks.  I’ve never been this late and I’m on birth control.

 

Which should null the point right?  Well, I kind of forgot to take it a couple nights.  Like maybe 4 or 5 in a row, during that time when me and Justin were in Vegas and having a crazy time together.  Having lots of hard, hard sex.  Like, what if I really am?

 

But I can’t because I’ve taken my birth control everyday for the past week and if I was pregnant that would mess it up and make it not happen right?  Right?

 

Oh shit.

 

When we came into Atlanta last night I was happy and excited.  I saw my parents and my puppy and a couple old friends are gonna come to the show tonight and my dad is in love with Justin and my mom is just my mom, just sweet and southern and normal.  Justin didn’t stay at my parents house last night ‘cause he had an early interview this morning, but I stayed there and Megan did and so did her boyfriend Josh.  Poor thing, I think he got grilled more than Justin did by my dad.

 

And it wasn’t until this morning when I woke up feeling a little sick and went to the bathroom to pee and realized how late I really was that it all hit me.  I mean I’ve been thinking it.  But it wasn’t until that moment that I decided I had to do something.  That I couldn’t just label it a “maybe” and it would disappear.

 

I was driving myself insane. 

 

Teddy’s staring at me as we go up the elevator and I know he thinks I’m crazy.  Hell I think I’m crazy or that I’m gonna go crazy.

 

I hear the familiar ring tone and sigh.  I shouldn’t answer.  I shouldn’t.  I might start breaking down if I do.  But maybe hearing his voice will make me feel better.  I was with him thirty minutes ago and I almost broke down in front of him as we were harmonizing together, making sure everything sounded ok for the show tonight.  He had just showed up from a morning of crazy interviews.  He looked tired but gorgeous in a polo shirt and jeans, sunglasses still over his eyes.  I walked straight up to him without saying hello and hugged him and he kissed me and asked me if everything was ok, pulling his glasses off and tucking them in the neck of his shirt.  I found myself staring into his eyes.  He needed more sleep, I could tell that, but there was worry there and so much love.  He’s just, he’s too sensitive to me.  And I realized right then I couldn’t wait one second longer.  I could push it away and push it away, but if I really did have a baby in me, then a few months down the road I wouldn’t be able to hide it anymore.

 

When I was done with my part of sound check, I left the stage immediately and went to my dressing room, locked everyone out except Courtney and I made an urgent call to Megan.  I told Courtney first what I was doing and here I am high tailing it back to her room.

 

She asked me if I was joking when I told her.  She laughed.  And maybe it is funny, but it was the last thing I needed right then. She sighed when she realized I wasn’t joking with her and said she would go ahead back to the room and be there waiting for me when I came.

 

When I called Megan, who had ran out from the venue to go grab me and her a smoothie, I told her I needed her to go to the store and get me a pregnancy test.  It was silent on the line for a good 20 seconds.  And then I heard her say, “Where do you want to meet?” and I told her what number Courtney’s room was.

 

Megan knew I wouldn’t joke about that.  And she also is probably as freaked out as I am.  We do that lot.  We tend to freak out about the other one’s problems, which is good and bad.  Bad because sometimes we get so lost in freaking out we don’t ever get the problem resolved.  But at least you have someone there with you.  At least you don’t feel so alone.

 

I press a button on my phone and bring it to my ear.  “Hey.”

 

“Are you alright?”  I could live in his voice normally.  Just find a nice little spot on his voice and curl up and snooze, like a dog or cat will do on a couch.    But this tone, this concerned, almost whiney tone makes my nerves on end.  He’s got too much going on to be worried about me and whether or not I’m pregnant.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine,”  I lie.

 

He sighs over the phone and I can hear a lot of echoing background noise.  He’s still out in the venue, probably on stage or right off of it.  Dammit. He shouldn’t have stopped his sound check to call me. “You don’t sound fine, Mere.  Are you feeling ok?”

 

He’s giving me the father lecture voice again.  Or maybe it’s just Justin’s I’m-worried-as-fuck-about-you voice.  I’ve heard it a lot lately.  In fact, I never really heard it before, just with the paparazzi thing at my house, but now, ever since I threw up, I hear it at least once every day.

 

“Yeah, yeah.” I sigh.  My stomach ache is making my brain hurt and I feel like I need to lie down.  “Megan has some emergency she needs to talk to me about.  Something about her and Josh I think.  So ya know, since she’s in town I figure I should be a good friend and discuss.”

 

“Right.”  He doesn’t sound so sure and I hope to god I can keep this up.  I feel like I might just start crying.  He’s silent and after a while he says sternly, “You promise you’re ok?”

 

I pinch the bridge of my nose and pray that the elevator will make me lose service. But it doesn’t happen.  I manage to squeak out, “I’m fine.”

 

“When are you gonna be back?”

 

The doors open to the elevator and I walk out in front of Teddy.  “I don’t know.  I’ll call you in a little bit, ok?”

 

I turn right, hoping I remember the number to Courtney’s room correctly.  God I hope I told Megan the right room number.

 

He sighs again, and this time it’s quiet and it’s chock full of emotion when he says my name. “Meredith…”

 

I stop in the middle of the hallway and clench my fist.  I’m not mad, I just…dammit, I can’t deal with this right now.  Maybe I should have just told him from the start.

 

But I can’t.  I can’t, can’t, can’t put him through that.  “Justin…serious, stop worrying.  Do your sound check and I’ll call ya in a bit.”

 

“Love you.” He says quietly.

 

“You too.”  I snap the phone shut and keep walking. 

 

I roll my eyes because I can anticipate Teddy’s annoying, deep voice before he even speaks.  Sure enough a few paces down the hall and he says, “You know, I hate it when you lie to me.  I’m sure he doesn’t like it either.”

 

I stop in front of Courtney’s room, turn and stare at him. “Teddy.”

 

He raises his hands and looks around for a moment before stepping closer.  “Look, you don’t have to tell me what’s going on.  But if something serious is going down with you I need to know.  Someone needs to know.  You’ve already scared me one too many times this tour and it’s just halfway through.”

 

But what if you don’t know if it’s serious? I want to say.  A false alarm isn’t serious.  A baby is.

 

“It’s just girl stuff, ok?  Nothing you’d be interested in.”  It’s not a complete lie but I know he can see right through me.

 

He crosses his arms over his chest and says, “I really hate you sometimes.”

 

My phone buzzes in my hand and I look down to see a text from Megan saying she’s at the elevator right now, on her way up.  Thank god.

 

I look back up at him and force a smile. “Go to your room and take a nap.  I’ll call ya in a bit when I’m ready to go back to the venue.”

 

“You know your parents are there waiting.”

 

God keep adding onto my guilt why don’t ya?  I told them me and Courtney had to go over some contract stuff and appointments and we accidentally left it at her room.  They seemed to understand.  They always understand.  My parents are fucking great.

 

And, and if I went to them and told them they were going to be grandparents, honestly I don’t think they’d be upset about it.  They’d sit me and Justin down and probably have a good long talk about it, but they wouldn’t lecture me about morals or demand that I’d have to get married.

 

But….but I’d want to get married.

 

I wish I could just stop my brain.  It’s going at a top speed, spitting out idea after idea after idea, but not giving me time to stop and really, really think and comprehend anything. 

 

“Teddy, I know ok.”  He can tell I’m getting annoyed with him and I think he’s just as annoyed with me.  He waves his hand at me and I pull the key out of my back jeans pocket that Court gave me earlier and I slide it in the slot and watch the light turn green. 

 

Teddy manages a weak, “call me if you need me,” and I enter the room.

 

I close the door behind me and rest against it for a moment before turning around and seeing Courtney there, clicking away at her laptop on the table at the end of the room.  It’s just a regular hotel room instead of a suite like we normally get.  I guess ‘cause I’m not here. She glances up at me and then back down at her computer. “Dammit Courtney, what am I going to do?”

 

She sighs and closes her laptop, leaning back against the chair. “Nothing until you take the test.  You need to calm down.  You being all nervous isn’t a good thing.  Especially if you are pregnant.”

 

“Shh!”  I say.  She can’t say it out loud!!  She…she just can’t.

 

“Well what?  It’s a possibility.”

 

“Fucking shit Courtney!”  I pace in the small space and pull at my hair.  I wish I was a smoker.  I could smoke right now; it’d give me something to do.

 

But I can’t. 

 

‘Cause I might be pregnant.  God fucking damn!

 

“I can’t be pregnant!  I just can’t!”

 

She looks at me and shrugs. “If you are then get an abortion.”

 

My mouth drops. I…I’ve never thought about it and I’m sure Justin wouldn’t want me to abort his child.  I don’t know maybe he would.  I don’t even know if he wants children.  I mean he acts like he might, but not anytime soon.  God, not right now!  “Are you serious right now!?”

 

She smacks her hands against her thighs and leans forward on the chair, “What do you want me to say Meredith?  I don’t know your beliefs on it.  You might be pregnant, you might not.  There’s no point freaking out until you have something to base it on, like a pregnancy test.”

 

I roll my eyes.  God I need Megan here.  Why the hell did I even think Courtney would be able to figure this out with me?  I don’t know.  God fucking dammit!  I don’t need a lecture right now!  I don’t need her snotty, ‘better than thou’ attitude.  Acting like she’s so fucking mature.  What she is is so fucking cold.  Just a cold, cold bitch.  I start feeling stupid for even sticking up for her with Justin.  “Right, like I can just fucking shut my mind off.  This…this could ruin everything and you just don’t give a damn, do you?”

 

Suddenly she’s standing up, walking towards me, her eyes narrowed. “Didn’t you tell me thirty minutes ago when you bomb shelled me with it that you’ve thought about this for a week now?  I mean, you should have had time to process it right?”

 

“This is not what I need to hear right now!” I yell at her.

 

“What do you want me to say?  I’m not…I’m not good at this sort of thing.  And I can’t really say anything until I know what the results are. I’m sorry Mere, I’m not trying to be cold.  I just don’t know what to say.”

 

There’s a loud rapping on the door and I don’t even look through the peep hole.  I know damn well who it is.  I sling open the door and Megan barges in with a thin plastic bag.  She looks frazzled and she shoves the bag at me.

 

“I-I didn’t know what kind to get. There’s like fucking 5 million so I just got the most expensive assuming it’s the best.  I hope that’s ok.”

 

“Yes, god yes…” I grip the bag and pull her tight against me and I start to cry.  I just burst into tears against her shoulder.  She’s holding me back tight, too.

 

And when she says, “We’ll be ok? Whatever happens.”  I know she’s about to cry with me.

 

I cry into her shoulder hard.  God I’m so fucking glad she’s here.  I mean, at least she’s with me, right?  This could be happening in fucking Seattle and she wouldn’t be here.  “I can’t be Megan.  I just…”

 

She pulls back and grabs the bag from me and pulls out the little white and pink box. “Let’s take it right now and stop this torture because I’m about to pee my pants!”  She says with a nervous laugh.

 

I look at the box but I don’t touch it as she looks over the outside, rotating it in her fingers.  “Do you know how it works?”

 

“Give it here.”  I hear and the next thing I know Courtney is beside us with her hand held out.  Megan pulls the box into her chest protectively, and we both look at her like she’s crazy.  She was just being a bitch, she’s not about to boss me around with my own pregnancy test!   “What?”  She sighs.  “Look, I’ve taken one before.  They’re mostly all the same but sometimes the directions can be different.”

 

“You’ve taken one?”  I ask and Megan hands over the box to her.

 

“Years ago.” She says without emotion.  Her?  Pregnancy test?  She seems like she would be too organized for that.  She’d be too prepared with a condom and a diaphragm and spermicide, just in case.   She’s looking all over the thing and her eyes stop on the back and her lips mouth over the instructions on the back before she walks towards the bathroom, waving for us to follow her. “Come on…”

 

When we get in there it’s crowded and hot. And she has pulled out this little stick that looks like a thermometer and is glancing over a little booklet of information.

 

She puts the paper down on the counter by the sink and picks up the tester and shows it to me.  “You’re gonna pee on this end ok?  And then you close this over and you have to wait for it to read for like 10 minutes or something.”

 

I nod and Courtney places the stick in my hand and goes to leave.  Megan follows her.  I’m still staring at the thing in my hands when I look up and say to Megan, who’s got the door halfway closed behind her, “Megan, will you stay?”

 

She comes in and shuts the door and I hope Courtney doesn’t feel bad.  She’d probably feel weird being in here while I pee anyway.  I go over to the toilet and pull down my jeans and panties while I sit down on the seat and hold the tester in one hand and I wait. 

 

Megan is leaning against the door looking at the ceiling.  She starts to ramble. “I don’t even know what I said to Josh. I just told him it was an emergency ritual thing we did where when we were together we randomly had to freak out and meet each other.  I know he didn’t buy it but I was panicking and didn’t know what excuse I could give him to leave him at the fucking venue by himself.”

 

I lean forward, my elbow against my bare thigh, my hand on my cheek, holding up my head. “I’m so sorry Megan.”

 

“It’s ok.  I think he and Trace or Marty or someone went to do something.”

 

I sigh and look over at her and her eyes meet mine. “I can’t pee.”

 

She walks over to the sink, “I’ll turn on the water.”

 

She flips the faucet and I try, I really do.  But nothing will come out. “God what if I can’t pee!”

 

“Just relax.” I look at her and she rolls her eyes and laughs a little, “I know it’s a pathetic thing to say, but just try.”

 

It’s quiet and I don’t know why but after several seconds, when I finally do start to pee, I start to laugh. “Oh thank god…” I say.  Megan’s laughing with me.  I guess it is funny.  But I’m not happy. I guess I’m laughing because I just don’t know what else to do.  I try to move the little stick under the stream and pull it away and close the cover over it and finish peeing. 

 

I set the test on the counter beside me and Megan’s messing with her phone.  I get some toilet paper and when I’m done I pull up my pants and flush the toilet, watching my pee go down the drain.  It’s probably a weird thing to think, but that’s the pee that’s going to tell me whether I’m pregnant or not with Justin’s baby and it just goes away…just disappears into the sewer like nothing.

 

I hope it is just nothing.

 

I sigh and look at Megan, who’s staring at me.   “Justin called on the way up here.”

 

She tilts her head a little. “Mere…” 

 

The look she’s giving me I know.  It’s the, “dammit Meredith why are you doing this” look.   She thinks I should tell him.  And I probably should.  But I’m not about to call him up and go, “Hey Justin, I might be pregnant, yeah I’ve been thinking it for about two  weeks now and I’m taking a test, I’ll know in about 10 minutes, you want me to call you back?”

 

I don’t think so.

 

And I guess that, in a way, is where most of my stress is coming from, the uncertainty of how he would take all of this.  Like, I know Justin’s a nice guy and I know he loves me.  But I also know that his career is the most important thing to him, besides maybe his family.  And he’s getting such amazing buzz over his new record and it’s going to drop in almost a month and I just, he can’t handle this now!  I know he can’t.

 

This is the last thing he needs.

 

I have a headache.  “I can’t Megan.  He’ll fucking flip out on me.”

 

She shakes her head and laughs a little bit, “He’ll fucking flip out if you’re pregnant.  But he’ll also flip out if you aren’t and you hid the possibility from him.  You need to breathe.  And stop stressing out about what he’s going to do.”

 

She’s right.  I know she’s right.  And that’s why I hope it’s negative and I hope he’ll never find out.  It’s just…it’s better for him to not know. 

 

But what if he does find out?   I can feel myself panic and when I glance in the mirror I look scary, pale, wide eyed and terrified.  “Well it’s a little too late for me to tell him now!”

 

“Shhh, shhh…”  Megan comes over and hugs me again and I start to cry, again.  “It’s ok.”

 

I can’t stop.  She’s running her hand over my head and keeps shushing me but I keep crying and crying, sobbing into her shoulder

 

I guess I’m being loud or maybe she’s just concerned but soon there’s a light knock on the door and Courtney asks, “Are you guys ok?”

 

Megan opens the door and Courtney slides in. “She took it.”

 

“Mere…”  She sighs and opens her arms a little and I don’t know why, but I leave Megan and hug Courtney.  I honestly think this is the first hug she’s ever given me besides when she sort of hugged me while I was puking after the show.  I stop crying though and she says softly, “I’m sorry I was a bitch earlier.  We’ll figure it out, we got like less than 8 minutes to go and we’ll figure it out.”

 

I pull back and look at them.  “So what do I do for 8 minutes?”

 

“You completely freak out.” Megan says laughing.  I just stare at her and turn to lean back against the sink and look at myself in the mirror.  “Ok, so I’ll tell you about what Josh and I did this weekend.  He took me to this sushi bar club thing and I’m like oh this will be cool.  So, did you know they sometimes serve sushi on people?  He said it was because I’m so kinky he brought me there but I was like, dude you’re the kinky one of the group bringing me to a human sushi bar.  Just gross.”

 

I don’t have much makeup on right now because I didn’t have many interviews today, just a real quick one at one of the local radio stations in Atlanta that’s always been really good to me.  I hope they didn’t notice I was off.  Usually I’m always cutting up with those guys, but this morning I just felt out of it.  Right now I look old as my eyes move over my features in the mirror, but I’m too young to have a kid. Which is funny ‘cause there’s like a billion 15 year old girls out there pregnant and here I am mid twenties and complaining. 

 

Maybe I’d be different if I weren’t on tour.  Or if it weren’t Justin’s.

 

But…but I want it to be him.   I wouldn’t want it to be anyone else.

 

Courtney says, “I thought he was the virgin.”

 

“Oh honey, been there, done that, gotten over it.  Totally not a virgin.”

 

“Alright then!” I’m a little amazed when I see Courtney lift up her hand and hive five Megan.  Where is this girl when I’m around?  Why is she so cold and rigid with me, yet fun with Megan?  Am I that annoying? 

 

I stare at them.  I wish Justin were here.  I should have told him.  I should have told him five days ago when I was already almost a week late.  I should have said, “Baby I’m late…and I don’t know what to do,” and I should have told him about me forgetting my pills and we should have done this together.

 

But it’s too late now.

 

“What about you and Trace?  Are you all finally official and shit?”

 

“I guess.” Courtney shrugs.  And I feel sick, really sick.  I grip the counter and try to turn on the faucet so I can splash my face a little.  “Mere….”

 

I look down at the drain.  Sometimes I wish I were made of water, so I could just sink down it and be forgotten.  Like my pee.  “I think I might pass out.”

 

“No…”  Megan is holding onto my shoulders and immediately gets her hand under the faucet and covered in cold water and then presses it to my forehead.  “No you don’t!”

 

I have really low blood pressure and I’ve passed out before with her and even though she knows what to do to prevent it or to wake me up, it always scares the shit out of her.

 

“Stop it Mere.”  Megan says to me and I look up and see both of them staring right at me through the mirror. Megan’s hand is now on my cheeks, “You are going to be fine about this.  He’s not an asshole, Mere.  It’s not like if you are pregnant he’s gonna dump you and be an ass about it.”

 

I fall limp against her and try my best to breathe, but I feel like I just can’t suck in enough oxygen no matter what I do.  “I can’t put him through this.  God dammit Megan, it’ll kill him.”

 

Courtney raises her hands in the air and squeezes them like she’s frustrated.  “Stop thinking about Justin!  Look, I know me and him don’t have the best track record, so coming from me this probably doesn’t mean anything to you.  But Meredith, this is you, this is your body if the thing comes out positive.  I’m sorry but, but fuck Justin!  You gotta do what’s right for you!”

 

Of course she would say that.  Of course she would.

 

And I can’t really be mad at her because she’s just trying to look out for me, I guess.  I guess she’s all into that independent woman shit.  But I’m not.  I’m not like that at all. 

 

She just doesn’t get it.  She doesn’t get it that if I am pregnant I can’t just do what makes me happy.  God, it’s his fucking child, too!  It’s not all about me!  It’s about him and me, together.  About the baby inside of me.

 

Shit, that makes me feel nauseous.  I can’t have a baby in me.  I just can’t.  Not right now.  He’s not ready right now.  I’m not…I don’t think.

 

“It’s just….I wouldn’t mind it.  Ya know…”  I feel panicky again and I know my voice is whiney, but I don’t care.  “If I was like 5 years older and we were still together.  I’d…I’d be happy.”

 

“Girl…” Megan says and passes me a sympathetic look.

 

“It’s just not fucking fair.”  I turn and face them and smack my hand against the counter.  “I can’t handle this right now and I know he can’t.  But if, if I am pregnant, I can’t just get rid of it because it’s…ours.  It’s me and Justin’s and I love him and, and…and I don’t know. I don’t make any sense.”

 

Megan laughs a little bit and looks at her watch. “Keep freaking out, you only have 4 minutes left.”

 

“Shut up.” I push at her shoulder, but in a way it kind of makes me feel better.

 

She grabs the hand that pushed her and holds it, swinging it a little.  “It’s the truth!  It’s taking up time that would be spent staring at the clock and hyperventilating.”

 

I look over at Courtney and she’s standing there looking at her hand and biting at her cuticles a little.  “Court, why won’t you talk to me?”

 

Her eyes raise to mine mid bite, “What?”

 

I figure I should bring this to her attention now, now that she’s here and now that Megan’s here to be my support and now that there’s nothing else to hold us back.  I’m stressed out about the rest of the world, so I might as well bring this to her attention too. “I need you to be my assistant, yes.  But I also need you to be a surrogate Megan, so that when she’s not around you can be here for me.  I want to be your friend and I feel like you despise me.”

 

“I am your friend.” She says weakly.

 

“A minute ago is the first time you’ve mentioned you and Trace as a couple in front of me.”

 

“Mere….” She sighs, “This moment isn’t about me and Trace.”

 

“God Court if this happened to you and Trace I’d want to help you out and be your friend.”

 

All she can do is shrug and I know I’m hitting something with her.  She’s right though, this moment isn’t about her.  But in a way it is.  I mean if she had been my friend and had been cool from the beginning maybe, just maybe she and Justin would have gotten along and then when I was late I wouldn’t feel weird telling anyone, I would have told her and Justin wouldn’t have been stressed out so I would have told him and everything would be fine, just fucking fine.

 

Maybe.

 

I’m a bitch.  I shouldn’t blame her for my fucking problems.

 

“I’m sorry.  I know I’ve been distant.  I’m just not really good at friendships.”

 

“Well, I’m not really good at people not being friends with me so suck it up and try harder.”  I’m glaring at her now, hard.  My jaw is locked and I feel like slamming something.

 

“Here…”  We both look over at Megan, who’s holding out her hands to us.  “We need to do a group session right now.” 

 

“Oh god…”  I roll my eyes but feel myself calm down a little. 

 

“What?” Courtney asks.

 

I shake my head and cross my arms over my chest. “She’s gonna hold our hands.”

 

“Just do it!” Megan stares at me and finally I drop my arms and put my hand against hers.  She swings mine and Courtney’s hands back and forth, saying in a clear voice, “Ok, from this moment on we have all bonded so we promise to be nice to each other, up front with each other, and do our best to make the other one happy.  We’re friends, all of us, some more than others, but no one lesser. Ok?”

 

Courtney grins at her. “You should write a book.  Self help is big nowadays.”

 

God when the fuck did they become best friends with each other!?

 

“That’s a good idea.  If this photo thing doesn’t work I’ll have to try it.”

 

I squeeze her hand and then drop it. I need to remind her I’m here, too.  That I’m her best friend.  I don’t know why.  I don’t know why I feel suddenly jealous of my best friend talking with my assistant.  I’m too stressed out to even make sense now.  “Don’t think I’ve forgotten about doing a shoot for you, just let me know when and I-“

 

A little alarm sets off on Megan’s cell phone and she gaps and I cover my mouth and Courtney just stares at me.  I didn’t even know Megan had set an alarm, but I know what it means.

 

“Ok…”  Courtney licks her lips and sighs, “Do you want me to look or Megan or do you want to?”

 

Megan backs up and puts her hands up, freaking out. “Don’t make me!  I’ll not know what it means.”

 

“You do it.” I say, looking at Courtney.

 

She immediately marches over.  There should be a build up, a look passed between us, a crescendo, or someone banging on the door or passing out.  But nothing happens like that.  She walks over, looks at the test, holds it up to us and sighs, “You’re not pregnant, Meredith.”

 

I burst into tears.

 

“Yay!! No babies!!” Megan exclaims and I sink down to the floor and just cry and cry and I can’t even tell you why I’m doing it.  I just am.  Megan is crouched down in front of me.   “Wait, you want babies?”

 

“I don’t know.” I wipe at my face.  I feel exhausted and relieved and lighter yet in the pit of my stomach something is tugging.  Maybe it’s hope, maybe it’s happiness, maybe...maybe it’s something I can’t understand.  Maybe part of me is sad.   “I guess I’m relieved, but….”

 

“You feel a little disappointed?” I look up and Courtney’s looking down at me with a knowing look, like she knows what I’m thinking and feeling.  But how could she?  Just because she’s taken a fucking pregnancy test before doesn’t mean we’re bonded and best friends.  We’re different and she couldn’t possibly understand what I’m thinking right now. 

 

She holds out her hand for me to take and while I feel like I should push it away and huff at her, I find myself letting her pull me up and taking her words straight to my heart and appreciating them.  “Hey, it’s alright.  You still should probably call your doctor.  I can do it for you tomorrow morning if you want.  It’s probably just because you’ve been sick and run down and your body just won’t let you have a period.”

 

I sniff and swallow the lump in my throat.  “Yeah, that’s probably it.”

 

It’s silent.  Just me sniffling and the two of them looking at me.  Courtney takes the test, puts it in the cardboard box and tosses it into the little trash can there beside the toilet. “You guys…”  I breathe out heavily.  “You can’t say anything.  It’s…it’s probably just better if no one knows, especially him.  So don’t tell Josh,” I look at Megan and then turn to Courtney, “and please don’t tell Trace.”

 

“I won’t.”  She nods, looking right at me.

 

“Please…” Megan laughs.  And when I look at her I can see the stress and worry has washed completely off her face.  In a way I think she might be more relieved than me.  “Josh wouldn’t understand anyway. He’d be like, “She took a test? Did she pass?”

 

Courtney laughs a little with her, but I just stand there.  I feel weird, empty, and kind of lonely. 

 

“I…I guess I should get back.”

 

“Hey…” Court says and opens the bathroom door all the way, “Why don’t you take a nap for thirty minutes and I’ll wake you up? Then I’ll get Teddy back here and we can all go back to the venue together.”

 

The phone that I had slid in my pocket earlier starts to ring and when I look down at it I close my eyes and sigh.  “That sounds good.”

 

Megan asks, “Who is it?”

 

“Who do you think?” I say and I pull the phone to my ear.  “Hey baby.”

 

“Not to sound like a broken record, but are you sure you’re ok?”

 

He laughs a little and it soothes my soul and makes me at ease and I follow the girls out of the bathroom. “Yes silly.”

 

“When you comin’ back?”  He asks with a little whine.  I guess he believed my answer this time because he doesn’t bother me with asking how I am anymore.  He’s sweet now, flirty, my happy Justin.  Courtney goes back over to her computer, sits in the chair and opens her laptop.  I go and crawl up on the bed, knocking off my flip flops.

 

“I’m gonna lay down a little bit and then I’ll be back.”

 

He moans a little in the phone and I rest my head on the pillow and relax.  It feels so good to lie down.  My eyes are tired and I know my voice is a little scratchy.  I’m surprised he hasn’t commented on it yet.  I can feel Megan slide on the bed beside me and she reaches over me to get the remote and turns the TV on with the volume low.  “I wanna lay with you.”  He says, “I was about to take a nap myself.”

 

“Are you gonna stay with me tonight?” I ask.

 

“At your parents?”

 

I giggle a little, his voice is mischievous, tempting. “Mine aren’t as cool as yours.  You’ll have to sneak into my room.  I think Josh is on the couch and Megan was in the guest bed last night.  Mom said you could sleep in the guest bedroom tonight and Megs could sleep with me.  Maybe in the middle of the night you guys can do a switcheroo.  I don’t know. Maybe you’ll be on the other couch in the den with Josh.”

 

“Your dad and mom seemed pretty cool to me.  I think you just get paranoid.  I actually was just talking to them a few minutes ago.  Your dad started talking about the Moody Blues or something and the concerts he use to go to.  Then we started talking about cars and he told me to make sure you take care of yours out in LA.  Him and Trace started debating on brands of car wax.”  He starts to laugh.

 

“Well I’m glad dad is making friends with everyone.  But you gotta understand I’m not paranoid. I’m just their only daughter and their house isn’t as big as other people’s. And they don’t have like 5 bazillion rooms for people to sleep in so it kind of gets nerve-wracking.”

 

He laughs again and then his voice lowers.  There was background noise, and now there’s none, so I guess maybe he’s moved into his dressing room. “So I guess I’m gonna have to sneak out and maybe give your room a special knock.  I use to have to do that shit when I was like 16.  You’re gonna make me feel all kinky like I might get in trouble or something.” He pauses and then whispers huskily into the phone, “You’re not gonna let me have sex with you either, are you?  Gonna get me all horny at the show tonight and leave me hard and hot for you”

 

The sound of his voice and the words he’s saying makes me want to put pressure in between my thighs, but instead I just curl up my legs and smile into the phone, lying on my side.  I shouldn’t be thinking this after my whole pregnancy fiasco that’s just now dead and weird. Yet only a few minutes old, I want to be with him.  I want him to kiss me and touch me so bad.  We haven’t really had a lot of sex lately.  We’ve made out a little but really have only done it once or twice since I collapsed and…and one of the times he was going so gentle and slow that, that…as embarrassing as this is, neither of us got off.

 

We ended up both tired and just going to sleep.  It was kind of awkward and I’ve never really felt awkward with him before.

 

I want that part of my life with him back.  Even though that part is what made me think I was pregnant.  I’ve never had as much fun in bed with a man as I have with Justin.  And it’s not just about ‘ooo having sex and getting off’.  It’s about being close to him, sharing something with him that no one else gets to have.  It’s special, even though that’s probably a pathetic thing to say.   

 

“I’ve never had sex in that bed Justin.”

 

“Really!”  He says excitedly, but quietly.  I look up and even though she doesn’t think I can see her because her back’s to me I can see Courtney roll her eyes a little bit in the mirror against the opposite wall.

 

“Justin, just shush….”

 

“Silly girl…”  I love it when he calls me that.  He always sounds so at ease and happy when he does.  “You gonna be back in an hour or so?”

 

His easy voice and sweetness make me want to be with him so bad right now and my lungs start to feel heavy.  “Yeah…”

 

I hate being an emotional wreck of a girl.

 

“Awesome.  If I’m still napping on the bus, come snugs, ok?”  I bite my lip and curl up even more, trying to hide from the world.  I want to be with him now.  I want to be in a bed, asleep with him holding me, right now.  Sometimes when we lay in bed together and take a nap I’ll pretend to be asleep even though I’m not.  And if I’m naked his fingers will skim my back if I’m holding him.  If I’m laying on my back he’ll rub his hand over my stomach a little and sometimes, occasionally I’ll feel his lips press against my forehead.

 

I need that.

 

I suck in a shaky breath and say in a whisper, “I love you so much, Justin.”

 

He stutters for a moment and I’m not sure why and I hope he can’t tell how emotional I am.  “I…I love you too girl.”

 

I need to get over this, forget it.  Forget being almost pregnant or whatever it is.  Forget the false alarm.  I need to breathe, relax, realize that all my worries are over and I need to brush away any disappointment.  ‘Cause that’s not the way to think.  I can’t afford to think about those things, about a family and a life with Justin like that.  I’ll get too ahead of myself and I’ll get my hopes up. 

 

And if he finds out, then…then I just don’t know what will happen.  It might scare him.  It might push him away.

 

And if I lose him, well….I don’t know what I’d do.  I’m too in love with him now.  Too far gone to go back and not be completely broken.

 

I’m past the point, I’m surrounded and it’s a very, very serious situation.  It’s dangerous when as much as I love and care about this man, I don’t understand him at all, I don’t get him and I still, as much as I try to tell myself otherwise, feel he’s unsure about me.

 

I’m probably just paranoid.

 

Either way, it’s not a good place to be.

Chapter 34 by Mere

Meredith’s Dressing Room, 9:30 p.m.

It's weird how being around someone else and their family can make you miss your own.  I was never as close to my parents as Meredith seems to be to hers.  My parents are older and while I know they would never call me a "mistake," I sure as hell know I wasn't planned. They didn't go to the doctor and start the process before they even tried to conceive, all smiles and nerves and holding hands in the doctor’s office.  They weren't a giddy young couple excited about the possibility of a drooling, smiling baby in their arms.  They probably didn't cry together when they found out mom was pregnant or call their parents and tell them they were going to be grandparents.  No, at that point all that were left of my parent's parents was my mom’s parents who were both in a rest home; my grandfather had dementia and died when I was three.  

This afternoon, I found myself wondering about how my mom acted when she found out she was pregnant with me.  If she freaked out and made my dad go get a pregnancy test and waited around, pacing and gibbering and rambling.  But then I remembered my mom telling me that before pregnancy ever crossed her mind, menopause did.  She thought the missed period was her body finally telling her she was too old to have kids.  When she finally went to the doctor because of stomach pains they told her she was two months pregnant.

I have never really thought about it until today, but I think a lot of my, I don’t know, I guess issues or personality quirks might stem from the fact that my brother is ten years older than me, that my parents were in their 40s when they had me.  Maybe that's silly to say, maybe that's just me not wanting to take responsibility for my own actions.

But still, I wonder what would have happened if she had been younger, or if she had used a pregnancy test and if she would have cried when she found it was positive.

Meredith cried because it was negative.

She's lost it.

She's better now, happier, I can tell the weight of the world isn't on her shoulders as much, but it all hasn't disappeared.  She's still distant, especially towards Justin, and she better watch herself or he's gonna figure her out.  I know I hurt her feelings this afternoon when I was cold to her and when I laughed at her when she first told me.  I know I was a bitch to her.  I really, really didn't mean to be like that.

I guess I still sometimes treat Meredith a little too childish.  She wears her heart on her sleeve and I don't and just because she does I shouldn't assume that means she's immature. 

When I thought I was pregnant a couple years ago, I held all my fears and emotions inside.  I didn't even cry.  I tried to keep a level head.  Went to the store on my own, took the test on my own, handled it own my own.  No friends, no assistants, no one else was there.  And I was fine.  And I didn’t freak out like Meredith did.  No, I took the test, saw it was negative and sat on the couch and watched a movie and fell asleep.

I shouldn't compare the situations though.  They were completely different and we're completely different people.  And I honestly can’t tell you how I would have acted if it had been positive.

I'm starting to realize that maybe that's why we clash.  We just are opposites on the personality spectrum. It's not a bad thing; it's just how it is.  I'm going to sound like a bitch here, but Meredith is not the type of person I'd be friends with outside of this situation.  She's just not.  It doesn’t mean to say I don’t think she's a sweet, nice girl.  She's just not my cup of tea.  And so I wish she'd stop forcing me to be her friend, or stop assuming that that's what I'm here to do.  I'm not here to be her "Trace," I'm here to be her assistant.

Trace says I'm just scared of letting someone in, of being friends and opening up to someone.  But I just tell him that he's my friend and that I've opened up to him.  Then he usually makes some perverted joke about “opening up” and we both forget the conversation for a while. 

I honestly don't know what I would have done today if she had been pregnant.  Maybe I'd be different.  Maybe I'd freak out with her.  She'd have to tell Angie and her family.  And she'd have to tell Justin.  Part of me wonders if she would have kept it from him.  And while she took a nap with Megan on my bed this afternoon I started to think about it, think about all the shit Justin's done to me on this tour.

I still think I would tell him.

Not out of spite, if I was out for spite then I'd go tell him now what happened this afternoon, but I think he'd deserve to know if he was having a child and I think maybe, maybe it would make him realize I'm not this horrible person, that I'm looking out for his girlfriend and him.  Is it bad to say part of me wanted it to be positive this afternoon?  Just so I could have the satisfaction of saying, now...now you can grow up, Meredith.

But then I just felt bad for assuming my version of "maturity" was wishing an unwanted pregnancy on someone else.

After her nap this afternoon I woke her up and the four of us, me, her, Megan and Teddy, all went back to the venue to eat dinner with her family and Justin.  Meredith was quiet during the dinner, but she sat by Justin the whole time and I noticed the quiet gestures they were giving each other, a touch of the shoulder, a small rub of her lower back, a smile, and lord knows what their hands were doing under the table.  I’m sure it wasn’t much though, not with her family right there.

 

It's amazing how Justin fits in so well with her family, charming the socks off her mother, talking sports with her dad.  It really made me see how well they are together, how much they work together, how…as much as he's a dick to me, he's perfect for her.  Then I started to wonder how Trace would fit in with my mom and dad and brother, if he'd be perfect.  I started to feel uneasy and my stomach started to hurt.  So I stopped thinking about it.

 

Trace barely touched me all through dinner. He never touches me when other people are around, especially Justin.

Meredith's folks are very kind and very sweet.  A little simple, a little...dare I say it, redneck, and when Trace and her dad started talking about NASCAR I really thought I might fall out of my chair.  I had no idea he even kept up with it or watched it?  And here he goes talking about "Junior"?  And then when I asked him who Junior was, all of them, even Megan, the girl Mere's dad calls "Yankee Doodle" turned and just stared at me.

I felt like an outsider.  But what's new. 

I've been hanging out with Megan's boyfriend Josh a little bit this evening while Megan and Mere did their friend thing.  He's a nice guy but he seems a little out of his element here with Megan. Megan works her way around the madness of this lifestyle easily, making friends and not carrying about the cameras and the interviews and the questions.  She treats Mere and Justin and everyone else like just a normal person on the street.  Nothing seems to faze her.  But Josh seems timid, unsure, like he's afraid he's gonna mess something up.  It's how I feel most days, though I don't let anyone know it.

But now I'm alone.  Meredith's on stage. Her family and Megan and Josh went to go watch and Justin's in his dressing room.  Trace is headed back this way, I hope.  He went to the hotel to grab something he left there and texted me a few minutes ago and said "wait for me in M's room, don't move."  I wonder what he wants.

I hope he wants me.

I could sure use some affection right now, some familiarity.  Sex with Trace, honestly, is the best sex I’ve had in my life.  He’s good in bed, often rough and hard, but not selfish.  He always, always makes my body feel amazing, and even though he tends to pass out after sex, its not…he’s not weird about it.  He won’t just roll off and be like “nice…” and fall asleep.  He’ll lay there on me a bit, he’ll pull away and tug me closer.

 

It’s like, when we’re in bed together like that, he really does like having me near him. I want to be near him, in that way…now.

 

Maybe I just don't want to be alone.  Maybe I want someone to help me shut my mind off.

Meredith's mom tried to convince me to go sit with them during the show but I declined.  Sometimes I wish my mom was more like Meredith's mom; sweet, kind, quiet, handing everyone an individual Ziplock bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies.  My mom can't cook, and she's uptight and even though she doesn't talk a lot when she does she's usually very opinionated and getting on me for something…anything. 

I frown.

I guess I could go talk to Justin.  Ha!  He's been avoiding me the past few days, probably per Mere's request.  But in a way I've been avoiding him as well.  If I see him walking down the hallway towards me in the venue I'll immediately pull out my phone and pretend to be calling someone, or if he and Mere come into a room with me, if they're arguing or kissing or just sitting there yawning, leaning against each other, watching TV, I usually get up and leave.  I just, I can't just sit there and smile in his face and pretend that he's not the biggest asshole I've ever met.

Well, Keith is probably the biggest, but Justin's running a close second.

I don't know, maybe Justin is worse.  Keith, I realized after I had been so blinded by everything, was just an asshole to everyone.  But Justin seems to only be an asshole to me.  Which, in a way, makes it worse.

Makes me wonder what's wrong with me. Makes me stay up, combing through every encounter I can remember with him and see where I offended him so much.  It must have started that first day when Meredith wanted to go visit him, before they were dating, at least I think that was before.  And I came down on her in front of him, in his hotel room.

I guess that was it. 

I wish I could take back that first impression.  I would have sat down with them, had a beer and everything would be normal and fine and happy now.

Right?

Yeah... right.  I'd never in my life have been able to just sit down with them on that first day and be normal with them.  I had a job to do.  I still have a job to do.

Angie was supposed to come down for this show but got hung up in New York. I wish she would have come down.  I could have hung out with her and we could have gotten a drink and gone and set in the private boxes and talked and watched the show.  Even though I know I fucked up in the beginning with her, she's starting to warm up to me now.  She calls me almost every night to ask me how Meredith’s doing and we usually get talking about other stuff.  I told her about Trace and I thought she was going to yell at me, but she was really, really happy for me.  I was surprised how calm she was during the whole Meredith being sick incident.  I thought she was going to flip out and blame me for stuff, but she didn't.  She just wanted to talk to Meredith and Teddy and just told me to report to her any health issues or concerns with her.

I talked to her earlier today and she actually let me vent to her about everything that's going on with me and everyone.  She's a damn good listener.  I like her.  Maybe, maybe I'll slowly get closer to her and finally have a real friend in this world.

Besides Trace.  But Trace....Trace is much, much more than a friend.

He's...

The door swings open and I gasp and almost drop the glass of sweet tea (another Meredith's mother donation) all over my lap.  I look up and see Trace barging into the room.  The door bangs against the wall and he immediately turns and slings it shut with a slam.  I suck in a deep breath, set the cup on the table in front of me and wipe my hands on my thighs, trying to prepare myself for whatever is about to come out of his mouth.

Shit...What in the world happened?  Why is he-

"Are you pregnant?"

I blink.

He's standing there, arms by his side, fingers twitching as if they want to clench or punch something.  He's narrowing his eyes at me and all I can do is open my mouth and stare back at him.  "God dammit Courtney!  Don't just sit there and stare at me.  Are you pregnant?!"


Before I can even open my mouth and try to explain myself or figure out where the hell he got that idea, he's there rambling, pacing right in front of me, running his shaking hands over his head.

"I know we don’t use condoms every time, but I figured you were on birth control.  I should have fucking asked.  I thought you told me one time that you were on it!  Shit Courtney what are we going to do if you are pregnant?  What am I gonna do?  I'm ...I'm not ready to be a dad."  He chokes in a breath, stops all movement and stares at me, his narrowed eyes widening.  "I mean, I will...shit girl, I will but..."  He sighs and hangs his head down before plopping into the couch across from my chair and pressing his forehead down into his palms. 

It's quiet and then I hear him sniff.

Oh my god.  Oh my god, he's crying! 

"Trace!"  I say quickly and stand up and swiftly go to him and grab his arm as I sit down right beside him.  He won't look at me and I lean down to him and say in a clear voice, "I'm not pregnant!"

"What?"  He almost hits my head with his own when he jerks up and he wipes violently at his eyes.  God...  I don’t think I’ve ever seen him cry.

I shake my head at him and try to smile so he knows I'm alright. "I'm not pregnant, I swear.  I'm on the pill and I've been pretty regular with my periods for a while now."

Part of me feels so bad at him for stressing out; part of me wants to hit him for freaking out.  But I know that's unfair.  God, if...if I was pregnant, right now with Trace’s baby, I don't know what I'd do.  Maybe I'm a hypocrite.  Maybe I would have acted just like Meredith and freaked out and not wanted anyone to tell Trace, afraid it would stress him out too much.

Honestly, I don’t know what I'd do.  I don’t know how I'd feel.  I know I don't want children right now.  I'm actually not sure if I ever want children.  And I'm pretty fucking sure Trace would never, ever let me get an abortion.  Well, I don’t know.  I don’t know what he thinks about that.  He just freaked out, so maybe he really wouldn’t want a baby.

Or maybe he just wouldn’t want it with me.

God, I'm fucking worse than Meredith.

I blink and focus in on Trace who's just staring at me, shaking his head "no" and looking at me like he doesn’t believe a word I said to him, still worry in his eyes, still fear.  His voice is a harsh whisper when he asks, "But why in the world would you have a pregnancy test box in your bathroom, Courtney?"

"Shit."  I cover my mouth after I say it and lean forward against my knees.  Dammit!  The maids were supposed to come clean, they were supposed to get rid of it for me.  Fucking shit!

I don’t know how to explain this now.  Without pissing everyone off.

"I saw it there Courtney."  He stands up from the couch and points his finger at me in an accusing gesture.  "You can't lie to me.  I went to your room to get that folder I left there this morning and went to pee, looked down and it was right there.”

"Shit."  I don’t know what else to say and I run my hands over my head and mouth "shit" to myself again about five more times.

She's going to kill me.

She's going to hate me.  Fire me.  Something.  ‘Cause I can't get myself out of this now. And he's gonna tell Justin.

"So you thought you were pregnant."

"No Trace..."  I sigh.  Maybe I should just lie, sacrifice myself for her.  But no, I'm not going to do that.  Because I doubt she would do it for me and she needs to grow up and take responsibility for her own actions.  It's not that big of a deal.  She's not pregnant, it was just a scare, it happens all the fucking time.  "No."

"Well explain it to me why in the-"  His voice cuts off short and when I look up at him, his mouth is opened slightly and he's just staring at me.  Suddenly he sits down on the coffee table in front of me, first moving my tea out of the way.  He sits on the edge,  grabs my forearms that were resting against my knees gently and stares right at me, saying softly, "Courtney....who's is it?"

He knows before I even say it, "It's not mine."

"Then who's..."

I can see the wheels in his head turning.  And when I quietly whisper, "I can't say," it's almost as if I had written Meredith’s name in black sharpie all over the test box.  It’s as if I had told him before he even left here to go get his folder, as if I called him up right after she took the damned thing and blabbed to the world.

"Fuck." He says and leans back from me and looks off to the side.  "Was it positive?"

"No."

I can hear him sigh.  I wonder, I have to fucking wonder if he's more relieved that she's not pregnant than he was that the test wasn’t mine.  I don’t know what that means.  I don’t know if that means he wouldn't mind if I were pregnant, if he knows he can handle a baby more than they can.

Or if he's just more concerned about Justin and Meredith than he is us.

It's something I've been wondering.  It's probably the reason I've pushed him to try and stick up for himself.  It's probably why I get mad when he doesn't.  I'm slowly starting to realize that with Trace Ayala, every fucking thing comes in second to Justin fucking Timberlake.

And I just, as much as I've fallen for Trace, I don’t know how in the hell I can deal with that for much longer.

"He doesn't know, does he?"

"She doesn’t want him to.  She doesn’t want to stress him out and it's not your place Trace..." 

 

Trace immediately stands up.  He can’t look at me anymore and when I look at him, he's staring off into space.  I can just see his mind, and I know he's thinking up how he's gonna break this to Justin.  "No, no look at me.”  He finally raises his eyes to mine.  “It's not your place to go and blab to him."

The look he gives me makes me feel small and stupid.  He blinks at me and then says, "He's my best friend, Courtney."

As if that's the fucking answer for everything.

I see red and I stand up and put my hands on my hips, I just have to put them somewhere.  I just, I feel so angry right now at him.  "Since when?  He's been a bitch to you for the past few months.  You just let them handle this themselves.  You don’t owe him anything."

He shakes his head and sighs, "I owe him everything, Courtney."

"Just drop it, ok?"  I snap.  "She's not pregnant, no one is.  Everything is fucking fine!  You know how she gets.  She was just overreacting."

He goes to lean against the counter by Mere's make-up station.  Shanda was in here earlier but she said it was too quiet in this room and probably went to go talk with Justin or someone else.  He crosses his arms over his chest and stares at a spot on the carpet.  His forehead is wrinkled and I can tell this isn’t just going to go away.  Meredith was right when she didn’t want me to tell Trace.  Maybe she knew that this would be some huge ordeal in the Trace-Justin world. 

 

Which is stupid.  Fucking stupid.

This has nothing to do with Trace.  And it was a fucking false alarm.  Get the fuck over it!  I need a fucking cigarette.  I suck in a deep breath.

"She's known this for a while," he says and I get up and go over to my purse. Shit, I bet I don't have one.  I haven’t bought a pack in a couple of weeks

I don’t know how he's figuring it out but I guess he just is starting to think about how everyone's been acting lately. 

I can't hide it anymore and I really don’t know if I want to.  Go fucking tell the world Trace, go make this into a bigger deal than it really is.

I roll my eyes.  "She's known nothing because until about 5 hours ago she didn’t know if she was pregnant or not, and she's not, so fucking drop it.  I'm serious Trace. I promised her I wouldn’t tell anyone and I can't have you go blab this to Justin.  It's none of his business anyway, it's her body."

"What..."  I look over and he's got his eyes narrowed at me.  He pushes himself from the counter and comes closer to where I’m still digging in my purse.  He blinks slowly and then says louder, "What!?" 

I don’t know what's going on.  I don’t know if there's something going on I don’t know about, but Trace is acting like she cheated on Justin or something.  It's not…that serious.  At least not to me. Maybe I just don’t get it.  

But when he says, "That's bull shit and you know it," in an angry tone, I feel pathetic and on the outside of their little bubble of drama.  Even though I hate drama, I feel lonely and ignored. 

 

"I know you hate him but you know as well as I do that if she claims to be in love with him and all this shit she should be upfront to him about it!  I can't stand this Courtney!  I can't stand it when you women keep stuff from us, it fucking eats us up inside.  Dammit!"

Yeah....yeah something else is going on.  I swallow the lump in my throat and go to sit back down on the couch.  All this standing up and sitting down is making me dizzy.

"Calm down, Trace."

He shakes his head and says forcefully and clearly, "I will not calm down.  And you can't expect me not to go tell him."

"She'll fire me," I whisper.  I don’t even know if he cares at this point.  All that matters to him is Justin and Meredith.  Who the fuck cares if Courtney loses her job over this?

Now I'm being dramatic.

"No she won't."  He says matter-of-factly. "I promise you she won't."

"You need to stop this! Now!" I yell at him and he blinks, as if snapped from a trance and he stares at me.  "You're making this about you, about you and your guilt or debt or whatever this is you feel like you owe Justin.  This is between Meredith and him.  And it's up to her to tell him, no one else."

He sighs and shakes his head, looking at me like I’m some pitiful creature. "You don’t get it."

"Then explain it to me!"  I'm so fucking frustrated with him right now!!  I need to just go out for a smoke break.  I bet Shanda has some.  I’ll go bug her.  Even though she's probably in Justin's dressing room talking to Cathy and him. 

When he doesn’t answer me and a minute passes, I roll my eyes and stand up to go grab my purse from the counter.  I look at the clock and I have about 15 minutes before I need to be here for Meredith.  Maybe, ya know what, just maybe I'll go out there with her and sit with her family and be social.  I just need to get away from him.

I need to convince him not to tell Justin anything.  I sigh and turn to look at him.

He's moved quietly over to me and is closer than I expected.  I jump a little and he says right to me, "How long have you know about this Courtney, ‘cause you've been distant too?"

It's like I'm on trial for Meredith taking a pregnancy test.  Ya know, when I first got this job I wanted to quit.  And then Trace and I worked out our differences and I started to like my job.  And even through all my drama with Justin and Meredith being over sensitive about me not being her best friend, I like my job.

And...and I like being with him while I work. 

But right now, I want to walk out that door and never, ever come back.

"Distant?" I ask and he just keeps staring at me.  I drop my purse to the floor with a thud and cross my arms over my chest and glare.  "I didn’t know about this until she told me today, after sound check.  That’s why I met her back at the hotel."  He's still staring when I weakly add, "And I haven’t been distant Trace."

"Yes you have."  He leans in to grab my elbow and I pull away from him and walk across the room.  "See, you will barely let me touch you."

"I'm getting over a cold, the last thing we need is to be sick over and over again for this next month."  It's a poor, poor excuse.  At first I didn’t want him to get a cold again,   but honestly, I've just had so much on my mind I haven’t wanted to be close...to anyone.  It's weird because sometimes I'll be craving his attention and his affection, laying in bed wishing he would stop watching TV, or come back from hanging out with whoever and, bluntly, fuck me senseless, but he won’t and I’ll get upset.  But then when he is around and he tries to touch me sometimes I push him away.  I wish he could read my mind.

But that's stupid.  Sometimes I feel so mature and old, and other times I feel like I'm 14 again and I’ve never even fucking kissed a boy.

"You always have an excuse, don’t you?"  He says, and it’s more sad than angry.

And his pathetic, sad voice, his weak, I'm just poor, old can't-do-nothing-for-myself Trace voice makes me want to scream. I get an attitude with him, "I can't believe someone else's negative pregnancy test is making us fight.  This is ridiculous."

"No Courtney, you are ridiculous."

 

I hate him. 

 

"You act all high and mighty and mature and like you have everything under control.  Why wont you just admit it every once in a while that you don’t have control?  You can't...you can't just expect me to be all calm about this."  I hate him for making this about us, when it has nothing to do with us.  Maybe seeing that test in my trash can really freaked him out and made him start questioning shit.  Maybe this is just a sign that me and Trace could never, ever work outside this crazy, weird situation we've been thrown into.  "I've spent the past 30 minutes freaking out wondering if you were pregnant or not and you just expect me to calm down and be normal.  And then to find out that for the past week, ‘cause that's how long she's thought about this, right?"

"It's been in the back of her mind for two weeks.  But it wasn’t until today that it dawned on her to do something about it."

"Shit Courtney.  And she didn’t tell anyone?!"  He yells.  "Not even Justin?  Do you see what I'm getting at?  This...this isn't good.  For her, for him....for us."

"Why does everything they do effect me and you?"

He's quiet and I think to myself, yeah, yeah, that got him.  I just won this little battle. 

But then he shakes his head, again...and walks over to me, again. He crosses his arms at me, again.  "Because whether you like it or not Courtney our lives are invested in them, in making sure they are ok.  If you can't handle that, if you don't want to deal with that, then you need to find a new job, now."

"Sometimes I really hate you," I whisper.  And I don’t know why but I start to get emotional.  I hate this.  I hate fighting with him.  I really do.  It's like part of me thinks that what me and Trace have, or...could have, could be so fucking good.  It could be perfect.  We could balance each other out, ya know?  But then shit like this happens and I realize that we're a lost cause.

We're wasting our time.

"Why are you upset?"  He says softly.

And what's worst about this whole situation is that I can see it.  I can see myself falling in love with him.  I can see myself saying those words to him and being happy.  But I just know it won't happen.  I know there's too much baggage with both of us, too much selflessness and selfishness, too much...them, too much Justin. 

Too little of everything else.

"I don’t know."

He sighs and looks down at his watch, "I have to go help Justin get out on stage."

"Don’t you dare tell him Trace," I say, panicking just slightly.  I'm an emotional mess right now.  I'm not gonna cry.  But I know I sound like I'm freaking out.  And when Trace just turns and walks to the door, I seriously start to panic.  "Trace..."

He opens the door and I'm on him faster than I can think.  I don’t know if I'm doing this for a favor to Meredith or if I'm doing it to grab hold of him,  but I clutch his arm and he pulls back and yanks it from me, staring at me like I’m some monster.

"Let go of me."  He says harshly.

I feel disgusting.

But I don’t give up and when he walks and is almost to Justin's room I pull on his shoulder and say right to his face, "You can't expect me to understand you and Justin and you can't expect me to feel that way about my job with Meredith.  It's different, there’s a fucking difference of 25 years Trace."

"Then you can't expect me to not tell him about this."

The door to Justin's dressing room swings open and like the gates of hell, everyone starts to file out into the hallway; his band, his dancers, his security, other random crew members and helpers.  I open my mouth to speak but then someone starts to say a prayer and everyone is clasping hands, including Trace.

But I'm on the outside of their little prayer circle.

Soon they are chanting, all jumping and getting pumped up for Justin’s set. And soon I'm rushing to follow Trace as he follows Justin down the long hallway.  I shout his name.  One of Justin's dancers looks at me funny when Trace doesn't respond and I feel like a loser.

I keep following, though. I've never done this. I usually stay in Meredith’s dressing room until she enters.  I've never gone with her up under the stage.  I just sit there and wait.  But now I'm there, under the back of the stage, dark and echoing, techs and crewmen scattered about, ready for the change over.  The crowd noise is deafening and soon Meredith is walking down a small latter in the center of the back of the stage, sweaty but smiling.  Justin is there and they start dancing to each other as someone hands her a towel and a bottle of water.  She acts like nothing happened this afternoon, nothing at all. 

 

Justin gets set up with his microphone. Ten feet separate them but they are happy, smiling at each other, doing this little dance move as the music keeps playing and the crowd keeps screeching. 

I look and see Trace is going up to Justin about to tell him something.

Fucking shit, if he tells him....

I turn and walk right up to Meredith and she looks a little shocked to see me when I say her name. "Meredith..." 


"Wha..." She's stunned but then her face turns into a bright, happy smile and she half yells over the noise.  "What’s up?  Did it look ok?"

I don’t know why she asked me.  I never watch her.  I have maybe twice.  "I didn’t watch."

"Aww, why..."  She pouts and people come over fussing with her, fixing her hair and Shanda is there powdering her face just a smidge as she sucks on a water bottle.

"Look, I need to talk to you?"

"What’s up?"  She asks.  It's half-hearted.  She's asking to be nice, but I can tell that she's thinking to herself, "I'm working, Courtney."  And she's right.  I shouldn’t be here bothering her when she's about to go out and perform three more songs.

But, but what if Trace is telling Justin right now?  I look over and they are in serious conversation.  Shit Trace, are you dumb?  He won’t fucking go on stage if he finds out. 

I keep staring and Meredith's calling my name, kind of annoyed, "what's wrong, Courtney?"

When Justin lets out a loud laugh and Trace smiles and they slap hands,  I immediately know he hasn’t told him.  The weight of the world is off my shoulders.

"Nothing..."  I sigh.  Still, I'll need to tell her sometime.  I'll need to let her know that I had to tell Trace.  She needs to be warned incase Trace ever does....fuck up.   "We'll talk later, ok?  Go hug your man before you both get back on stage, ok?"

"Will you go watch, please?"  She begs me.
 
I smile at her and nod.  I don’t know why, but having her be nice to me, having her want me to watch her, even though I know she probably really doesn't care, makes me feel good, like the popular girl in school has asked me over to her house, or something stupid.  It doesn’t make sense that in this moment I’m happy that she’s recognized me and yet, every other moment, when she’s begging me to hang out with her, I hate it.

 

"Yeah..." She smiles and walks over to Justin.  He puts both his hands out, palms up and flat and she smacks them, and he does the same to hers and then grabs her hands and pulls her into him, in a big hug.  

Soon they are broken apart...and Justin is off to the side of the stage with his dancers getting ready to enter as Meredith waits for her cue on the other side of the stage.  

Trace walks up to me when Justin and his dancers go up.  The crowd's scream makes my ears feel like they are bursting and when I turn to him I have to shout for him to hear me. "Trace....thank you."

He shakes his head, grabs my arm and pulls me back into a dark corner near the entrance to the back hallway, near Meredith's changing room.  He leans in, cupping his hand around his mouth and says directly into my ear, still yelling a little, "Don't thank me for lying to my best friend, Courtney."

He pulls back and walks away, walking towards the entrance. I'm assuming he's going to go sit with Meredith’s family and watch.  I quickly walk after him and grab his elbow. "Can I ask you a question and will you be honest?"  He nods and we walk out into the hallway which is eerie now and quiet, and perfectly empty.  "He's always gonna take priority, isn't he?"

He stares at me for a moment, opens his mouth to speak and then sighs.  "It's like you said."  He says in a distant, sad voice.  "There's a difference, a 25 year difference and I just can't ignore that. No matter what the situation, what the deal, what the fight or the conflict, whatever's going on with me and Justin…he's my fucking family."

 

He just shrugs at me and turns to walk away.  He fucking walks away from me. 

And I realize in that moment that no matter how long we are together, no matter how much we were in love, I would never matter as much as him.  It's like he just said, Justin is his fucking family.

I'm not.

And I never will be.

Chapter 35 by Mere

The Craven’s Neighborhood, 1:02 a.m.

 

Trace told me.

 

It was about an hour and a half ago when he said the words, and for an hour I’ve been trying to figure out what the fuck I’m going to do to fix this.  After he told me I was angry, I was…honestly, I was so fucking pissed off.  I was ready to say I didn’t want anything to do with her.  I didn’t want to talk to her or see her. 

 

This isn’t the first time a girl has kept something this big from me.  It happened with Britney.  She thought she was pregnant and kept it from me for months, was planning on never, ever telling me.  She wasn’t pregnant though and Mere’s not either.

 

And it’s funny.  With Britney I was livid, infuriated.  I called her immature.  I called her so many horrible things.  It was the beginning of the bad, bad part of our relationship.  The beginning of the end, I guess.  But I don’t want this to be the end to Mere and me.  It can’t be.

 

So I forced myself to calm down, and once I did, the only person in the world I wanted to talk to and see was her.  Now I’m here riding to Mere’s parents’ place to stay for the night.  I just hope I can get her alone because I have to talk to her.

 

Ya know, it makes sense.  She’s been off all week and today.  God, today I knew something was going on.  I just fucking wish she would have told me.  And because she didn’t, I know something is wrong.  This isn’t this picture perfect thing I keep pretending it is.  And I gotta fix this, I gotta fix us before it’s too late.

 

‘Cause I don’t want this to end.

 

I was getting off the stage and Mere was there with her family and she kissed me quickly and told me to meet her back home.  They were gonna wait for me but I think her mom was tired or something.  So everyone left to go to Meredith’s home.  Her parents are about a 45 minute drive from the venue.

 

I’ve been sitting here in the backseat of this Escalade for just about 45 minutes, just thinking, thinking of what Mere’s thinking, what she’s doing.  I need her right now and I need to talk to her about this.  I know she’s going to freak out.  Shit... she’s gonna freak out.

 

Trace was in my dressing room when I got there after the show tonight and he immediately kicked everyone out.  I knew something was up because he looked way too serious.  He told me to sit down.  I was still in my sweaty clothes and I was annoyed instantly.  I refused to sit. And then he said, “Did you know that Mere took a pregnancy test today?”

 

I couldn’t breathe.

 

It’s like fuck, ya know?  I can’t.  I can’t have a kid right now.  But honestly when he told me that, all I could think about was her.  Was Mere and how fucking insane she has to be to try to solve all this on her own.  She’s gonna fucking kill herself if she’s not careful.  She’s gonna burn herself out.  She wants to solve everything, she wants everything to be perfect and she’s forgetting about herself in the process.

 

I started thinking a lot about us, about…about everything in my life right now.  My mind has been running a hundred miles an hour non-stop since he told me and now it’s still going fast but a lot clearer than it was.

 

I realize that all of this, or most of this, has to do with me.  It has to do with me being an asshole who can’t open up.  I fucking try.  I really do.  It just, it’s hard for me.  From the moment this started with Mere I never let her know how much I really cared about her.  I didn’t let her know that I stayed up thinking and worrying about her.

 

I didn’t let her know that from the moment I met her she was special to me, very, very special.  She’s not just another hot girl.  It's not even about how beautiful she is or how sweet she is or cute or funny.  It’s…it’s something I can’t even try to explain.  It’s just there.  It just fits.

 

And I've never showed her or told her that because I'm too much of a fucking pussy.

 

She never wants to bother me or burden me.  She always tells me not to worry about her.  God, that’s my fucking job. 

 

I’m supposed to care about her.  I can’t just turn that off.  No matter what’s going on in my life.

 

“This is it, right?”  I suck in a breath and look up into the front seat where we’ve slowed down in front of a two story brick house.  The porch lights are on and I can see Mere’s dad’s dirty pick up in the driveway beside her mom’s car.  He gave me and Trace a full spiel about it today, about horsepower and how much it can pull.  Mere’s dad reminds me a lot of my dad and Trace’s dad.  I really like him and I’m really glad her parents seem to like me.

 

“Yeah, that’s her dad’s truck,” I say.  I wipe my clammy hands on my jeans as we pull up on the side of the road in front of her front yard.  I wish Trace were here.  I wish he had ridden with me instead of going back to the hotel.  But he said he had to do damage control, and I made a decision to not be the selfish best friend I normally am and let him go take care of his girlfriend.

 

‘Cause ya know, as much as I can't stand Courtney, if…if Trace likes her, then there’s gotta be something good about her.  Fuck, I don’t know.  I just don’t know anything anymore.

 

I open my car door and Tiny gets out of the passenger seat.  Shit, I can't even remember our driver’s name.  I wave and say thanks to him.  I don’t think Tiny’s staying at Mere’s because when I grab my bag, slam the door and walk over to Mere’s driveway, Tiny follows me and I notice he doesn’t have a bag in his hand and the driver stays parked in front of the yard.

 

It’s hot out.  Muggy and the bugs are making a loud, squeaking, humming noise, but it’s oddly comforting.  Reminds me of home.  I move to sling my bag over my shoulder and catch Tiny’s gaze when I do, “You ok man?  You’ve been quiet.”

 

“Tired,” I say.  He knows I’m bull shitting.  But I’m thankful he doesn’t push it.


I am tired.  Physically I’m so exhausted right now but my mind is wide, wide awake. 

 

When I step up to the porch, the door swings open before I even have the opportunity to awkwardly decide whether to knock or ring the doorbell.  There’s Meredith’s dad in a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt with a beer in his hand.  He smiles and shakes my hand. “Hey, how’s it going?”  He says and I force a smile. 

 

“Good thanks.  How’s everyone?”

 

I look in, preparing myself to see Meredith perched somewhere in her pj’s, but all I see when I walk into Meredith’s house is Megan and Josh sitting on opposite sides of the couch with the TV on.  Megan waves at me.

 

Where is she?

 

I look around the house a little.  It kind of reminds me of the house we had back home in Millington, before we built the one we are in now.  It’s not huge, but it's not small. It’s cozy and country and southern.  And even though it’s nothing like my house back in LA, or like her house….I like it.  I feel something nudging my crotch and I look down to see a big brown and black dog with its nose poking into me.  I pet the dog’s head.  This must be DeeDee.

 

I look back, still touching the dog's head and Tiny is shaking hands with Mere’s dad who’s closing the door behind them.

 

“Oh uh…” Her dad laughs a little and then says, “We’re just watchin’ a movie.”

 

Megan speaks up from the couch, “Your girl is being antisocial.  She’s looking through clothes or something in her room."

 

I just nod and lick my lips.  Good, I can get her alone. Tiny has gone over and has sat himself on a chair by the couch.  Megan’s making him give her a high five.  I don’t know if he’s staying with me tonight still.  I assume not.  And I don’t care. 

 

“You ok there, son?”

 

I blink and focus in on Mr. Craven who’s got his hand clasped onto my shoulder. “Yes sir, I’m just worn out.”

 

He nods and smiles at me, “Meredith’s in her room.  I’ll show you.”

 

I nod at Megan and Josh and Tiny and follow Mr. Craven through the den down a hallway in the back of the house.  There’s a door there cracked with yellow light spilling out of it and I can hear her. 

 

I can hear her soft, sweet voice humming to herself.

 

Her dad pushes the door open for me and before I can step in DeeDee goes in before me and jumps into a plush chair in the corner of the room by a window.  She just stares at me and pants, tongue hanging out and shaking.

I step in.

 

She’s there, wearing some turquoise sweatpants pushed up to her knees with the word Pink written across her ass.  A yellow tank top covers her top.  There are clothes all over her bed and on the floor, scattered across the room.  Her back's to us as she looks through a closet and lightly sings to herself.  Her room is tidy other than the scattered clothes.  I figured there’d be teddy bears and ribbons and things all about.  There are a few photographs and one or two stuffed animals and the room is painted yellow, but for the most part, it looks like a guest bedroom more than anything. 

 

“Kiddo…”  She jumps at the sound of her father's voice and turns with a red Hawaiian shirt in her hand.  She smiles at me brightly and I can't find the energy to smile back.  “What are you doing?” Her dad starts to laugh.

 

“Dad!”  She laughs and holds the shirt up to her torso.  “Do you remember when I would wear this like 24/7?  Those were the days.  I should bring this back into style.”

 

“Oh god…”  He groans, takes a sip from his beer and pats me on the shoulder.  “Good luck.  She’s in one of her moods. Deedee..."  The dog's ears perk for a second and then when Mr. Craven snaps his fingers twice ,she crawls down from the chair and trots out of the room.

 

“What is that supposed to mean, Dad!”  I stare at her and she’s calling out to the door, “Dad!! Daddy!  Tell Deedee to come back!” I can hear him laughing behind me and the door closes softly.  She drops the shirt in her hands and pouts.  “He’s mean.”

 

She smiles again and turns back around, slinging shirts and hangers left and right in her closet. Only the lamp on her nightstand is on and I just stand there.  She turns back around after a minute and raises an eyebrow at me because I haven't moved and I haven't spoken.

 

I can't take it.  I just… I thought this would be easier or something.  But...  Shit.

 

I drop my bag on the floor and run my hands over my head for a moment before walking to her bed and pushing every fucking piece of clothing on it off onto the floor.  I point to the bed.

 

“Sit down.”

 

I look up at her and her eyes are wide and her lips are in a small “o” formation.  “What’s wrong?”

 

“Meredith…”  I sigh and find it hard to talk.  I close my eyes and beg, “Please.”

 

I hope she doesn’t break down.  I really hope she doesn’t break down. I open my eyes.

 

Her eyes are glassy, watery and she’s swallowing hard. 

 

Shit.

 

“What?”

 

“Trace told me,” I say and it comes out harsh. I have to grip my fists by my sides as she plops on the end of her bed and stares off into space, eyes getting watery by the second, her face pale and mouth slightly opened.

 

I lick my lips and try to control myself.  I’m not angry, I just feel so…so much fucking emotion in me right now and I don't know what to do with it. 

 

I speak slowly in an effort to calm myself, “He found the test box in Courtney’s trash in her room and freaked out on her and she told him because he was accusing her of shit.”

 

She breaks.

 

Tears slip from her eyes and she panics and covers her face with her hands, “I told her not to tell anyone!”

 

“Meredith.”  She doesn’t look up at me and I just stay standing.  I don’t know what else to do.  “That’s not the point.  She did what she had to.  She told the truth.  Apparently she begged Trace not to tell me.  But it’s not his job to keep shit like that from me.  That's not what friend's do.  That's not what girlfriend's do.”

 

She keeps her hands over her face and pulls up her legs and crosses them under her and leans forward a little.  She’s silent but keeps her hands there.  Her shoulders shake.

 

I lean down and pull at her wrists and when I do I wish I hadn't.  She’s crying, hard, so hard and completely silent.  Her face is red and the tears are pouring out of her.  “Do you hate me?” She asks and it barely comes out, it's just a harsh whisper.

 

And I break.  I sit down beside her and put my arms around her and she just starts to cry harder.  I don’t even understand what's happened or how this has blown up like it has.  I should have been rational.  I should have just asked her about it.  But I did right?  She’s the one freaking out.

 

Shit, she really is freaking out.

 

“Fucking shit Meredith…”  I hold her tight and feel her clutching me. I pull back a little and grip her face, “I don’t hate you.  Baby…”  She sniffs and still cries, but she controls it a little and wipes at her nose.  “What the hell, though?  Why didn’t you say anything?”

 

Her eyes search mine and she turns a little on the bed to face me. “I didn’t want to upset you.  I knew you couldn’t handle it.”  Her hands shake in the air a little and she wipes her nose again, this time using the neckline of her top.  “I was freaking out Justin.  I was so fucking scared and I just knew, oh my god…”  She says loudly and shakes her head, “I just knew if I told you, you wouldn’t be able to handle it.”

 

“You make me sound like some fragile basket case.  I’m not some psycho, Meredith.  I’m a grown man.”

 

Her bottom lip trembles for a moment and then she pushes herself up off the bed and says in another loud, bitter voice, “Well I’m fucking sorry!!! Ok?  I fucking...”

 

I immediately stand up and put my arms around her.  I start to get it.  I start to understand.  She’s just like me.  She’s too far into it now and she’s trying her best to make sure nothing fucks up.  She’s trying to make sure no mistakes happen.  She’s trying to make sure the possibility of mistakes doesn’t freak me out and make me run away.  And now that a mistake has happened she can't handle it.

 

And I’m too far into this now to run away.  I can’t run away.

 

She’s gotta understand that.

 

“Meredith, this isn't about being sorry.  God…” I hold her still and her back's to my front, and I feel her go limp against me.  She’s still freaking out and that scares me.  It really scares me because what would have happened if she …if she really was pregnant?

"Shit girl…”  I turn her around and push her back and tug her a little so she sits down on the edge of the bed.  She lifts up the bottom of her tank top and blots her eyes and her nose and I kneel down in front of her on my knees, in between her legs and put my hands on her hips and look right at her, “Look I was mad at first, ok?  I’m not gonna lie and say I wasn’t.  But I’m not mad anymore, I’m determined.”

 

“To break up with me,” she says in a small voice.

 

And I laugh at her. “You’re being ridiculous.”

 

She knows it too when she ignores it and says, “You weren't supposed to find out.  This…this was just supposed to go away and be forgotten.”

 

“Meredith you thought you were pregnant for two fucking weeks and you hid that from everyone.  There’s a problem with that.”

 

“I just….”  She inhales deeply and lets it out with a huff, making her whole body slouch, but it seems to make her calmer and her eyes are no longer crying. “I didn’t want to stress you out, especially now that there's nothing to stress about.”

 

“It’s not over Mere.  Look..." I sigh, wishing she could just see into my brain and know exactly what I need to tell her without having to struggle with the right words.  "I’m not making myself clear here.  There’s a big problem, you gotta realize that.”  I push myself up and go over to my duffel bag to get out my toiletries so I can brush my teeth before I get in bed.  Suddenly I feel very, very exhausted. 

 

“Please…”  She says and I look over right before I’m about to unzip my bag and she’s right beside me.  She touches my back and whispers, “please don’t break up with me.”

 

I stand up straight and look down at her. “I’m not breaking up with you.  Calm down, ok?”  I put my hands on her shoulders and rub them.  They’re tense.  They’ve been tense for weeks now.  “Just breathe.”

 

“I just…”  I lick my lips and wait for it ‘cause I know she’s about to start rambling.  I keep rubbing her shoulders.  “I didn’t get my period and I thought, oh fuck, ‘cause I kind of forgot to take my pills a couple nights.  And then when I got sick and was throwing up and shit it just, it freaked me out, and you’ve been so stressed out and taking it out on Courtney and Trace and everyone.  I just didn’t want to add to that.”

 

“What if you had been Mere?”  I drop my hands from her shoulders and lean a little to be closer to her and look more within eye line of her.  “Were you gonna keep it from me still?”

 

“I don’t know Justin.  I just don’t know.” She runs her hands over her face and head and turns from me and goes and falls down on her bed face first.  I just stare at her and she flips over, laying on the bed, staring up at the ceiling, shaking her hands above her as her feet move, toes pulling the sweatpants down over her calves instead of stuck up at her knees.  “I try to be mature about these things.  I try not to freak out.  I try to be like Courtney and not be so fucking irrational about everything, but I didn’t know what to do.”

 

She lets her hands fall flat on the mattress and then she pushes herself up so her head is resting on the pillows.  She glances at me and then looks down at herself. “I thought I was being rational just wading it out and waiting for my period to come, and when it didn’t, I knew I couldn’t just go blab it to everyone.  And then today when I saw my family, I just started thinking about everything and when you were with my parents, and they fucking love you, and I just started thinking about like, if this works and, and...” 

 

She gulps, looks at me and doesn’t look away this time.  She stares right at me and suddenly I want to be near her and I want to forget all of this.  But I can't just forget all of this.  “And if you one day become part of my family then, then I needed to know, ya know?  And I just…I couldn’t take it anymore.  But I didn’t want to stress you out.  I was sick Justin.  I was fucked up all day and I didn’t want to put you through that.”

 

“But Mere…”  I shake my head and walk over to the bed.  She just stares at me as I press my knees into the mattress and shuffle towards her, leaning down beside her.  I prop myself up on one elbow and look at her, “It’s not all about me.  It’s about you, too.  You shouldn’t have gone through that alone.”

 

“I had Megan and Courtney.”

 

I laugh quietly and lean in a little, “But what about me? Do I not count?”

 

We stare at each other for a good minute before she rubs her hands over her face and says through them, “I’m insane, aren’t I?  You hate me, don’t you?”

 

“Yeah…” I say, and put my hand on her belly.  I can’t help but wonder what she’d look like ya know, all pregnant and stuff.  I force myself to stop thinking that way.  “You’re a little nuts right now, but I don’t hate you.  I can't hate you, Mere.”  She moves her hands away from her face and brings one down to my hand on her stomach and touches it.  It feels good and I lean down and rest my head on her pillow.  We’re close now and I feel better about everything somehow.  I guess, I guess just being close to her does that for me.

 

“We still need to work on this, though.  This isn't over or anything.  We’ve both got a big, big problem of worrying way too much about what the other one is going to feel or think.  I’m always trying to protect you.  I think that’s why I go crazy over Courtney.  I just have all this hyper energy where I just want to make sure nothing ever hurts you, and I take it out on her.  And I know Mere.  It’s not fair.  I’m kind of ashamed of some of the shit I’ve done the past few weeks.”

 

She looks at me and immediately turns up on her side so we’re facing each other.  Her hand is still touching mine and I suddenly feel her feet rubbing against mine.  She pouts when she realizes I still have my sneakers on.

 

“Mere…"  I work to pull them off, pulling down the heel with my toe.  "At the same time I feel like you’re sacrificing yourself to please me.  You put me before yourself in every situation.”

 

Her big, brown eyes stare into mine and she shakes her head a little, whispering, “Isn’t that what love is?”

 

“Shit Meredith…”  I can’t help it and I put my arms around her and pull her into my chest.  I roll back on my back and hold her there against my side.  “It is girl, but it’s also about me not making you do that.  It's about us supporting each other, sharing everything together.  As horrible and stressful and fucked up today was for you, I…I needed to share that with you.  I need to be apart of the stressful stuff, too Meredith.  Love isn't just about all the good times and sex and cuddles and shit…”

 

 I look down at the top of her head and I run my hand through her hair.  She’s washed it since the show.  It’s silky and smooth, not sticky with hairspray and tangled with curls.   “It’s about trusting and being there for each other when the horrible shit does happen.”

 

She doesn’t say anything, but soon after a while, I feel her hand fisting my shirt. When I look down at the top of her head, I can see her body shaking a little.  I hear her sniff and feel a bit of hot wetness seep through my shirt into my skin. 

 

My eyebrows furrow and I crane my neck down and to the side to try to see her face, but she’s hiding it from me.  I can hear her now, crying softly into my chest.  “Baby, please don’t cry…” 

 

“I can’t help it,” she mumbles.

 

I don’t know what to do.  I want to say I don’t know why she’s getting so emotional.  But, but I know why.  I’m holding it in myself.  I’m trying to be strong for her but I know we’re both stressed beyond capacity right now.  She’s tired, I’m tired.  And I know her mind is running as fast as mine is. 

 

She’s picturing it, me and her with kids.  She’s wondering if that’ll happen.  She’s wondering if it’s possible. 

 

She’s wondering if she wants to subject kids to our lifestyle.  I pull her tighter ‘cause I know, I just know that she’s wondering if I want kids with her.  She’s wondering if I’m scared of it, if I’m freaked the fuck out.

 

Because even though Meredith has never, ever said it to me, I just know she’s the type that all her life she’s wanted to be a mom…somehow, someway.  And I know it'll kill her if I ever told her I never wanted kids.

 

“Can I tell you something?” I say to her softly.  I try to pull her up a little against me so I can look at her, but she won’t budge.

 

I sigh and run my hands over her hair and back, and I cover her hand that’s still clutching in my shirt.  “It…” I take a deep breath and say slowly, “It wouldn’t be horrible.”

 

She sniffs and shifts to look up at me with glassy, red eyes. “What?”

 

“A baby…”  I pause, “with you.” 

 

Her face doesn’t move except for her mouth to slowly open, just slightly.  “I’m no where fucking near ready for that and I know you aren’t either.  And if you were pregnant, I’d be a basket case right now. But…” I pull on her again, and this time she lets me move her.  I pull her up against me higher and I roll to my side again so I can face her.  I touch the side of her face and smile at her as a tear slips from her eye, trailing across the bridge of her nose and dropping into the pillow case.

 

“But I’d get over it.  And I’d love it and you…even more than I do now. Meredith…” I sigh and I grip the side of her face, wiping under her eye with my thumb, staring at her, trying to let her know and see what I mean.  “A year ago I didn’t want that.  I didn’t think I’d ever be ready for that kind of life, but now…with you, I can see it.”

 

“Really?”  It’s a small, quiet whisper.

 

“It scares me to death.  But it’s still there.  And this, this whole situation has made me see that we need to work on us, on our relationship, so that…so that it will last that long.”

 

She starts to smile and I feel my heart swell.  I stroke her cheek and her eyes close slowly.  The crying has made her tired, and she’s beautiful, even with eyes red and snot stains on the neck and hem of her tank top.

 

“Can I tell you something else?” I say and she nods, snuggling her head in the pillow, eyes still closed.  “We’ve talked about this before and I know you say you know.  I know you claim that I don’t have to show it or say it, but it’s clear to me now that I’ve made you feel like this is more important to you than it is to me."  She opens her eyes.  "I’ve made you feel second to a lot of other shit in my life.  It’s a big problem with me, it always has been.  I’m a workaholic Meredith, and I have a very big issue with putting work before people I care about.”

 

“It’s ok Justin.  I know that.  I don’t blame you or get mad-”

 

I cut her off and can't help it when I hold her face and press my lips against hers.  I leave my forehead against hers and I whisper against her lips, “You…”  I kiss her again just softly and say, “You Meredith, are the most important thing in my life.”  Her eyes are a little wide and shocked when I pull away and I can tell she’s going to start tearing up again.  I just shake my head at her.  “See…I don’t tell you that enough.  I don’t make you believe it.  Fucking believe it girl.  I can’t…I can’t do this without you.  It scares the shit out of me.  I’ve never felt like this before.  I’ve fucking been in love, I’ve done all that shit.  But not this….not this…”

 

I feel her arms wrap around me, one over my side and her other curls up in between us and she says into my neck, “The only fucking thing I want in this world is for you to be happy.  And you’ve been so stressed lately, I just…”

 

“You make me happy, Meredith,”  I say against her hair and pull her so she’s back laying on me and I’m on my back.  “Our lives are stressful.  That’s just how it is.  But you make it not so bad.  You’re the only girl I’ve been with that’s made it better and not worse.  Even right now.  Even when we’re both crying on…”  I twist a little and feel a lump against my back.  I reach behind me and pull whatever it is and bring it in front of me.  It’s a dingy, dirty Dalmatian stuffed animal missing one ear and his nose is half chewed off.  “Who is this?”

 

“Mr. Spot.” 

 

“Even when Mr. Spot has to console us, it’s better.”

 

She touches his head and then takes him from me and clutches him in her hand, still clutching onto me.  “DeeDee took his ear off.”

 

It’s quiet again and I just watch her, resting her chin against my sternum, staring at Mr. Spot who she holds upright against the other side of me on the bed.  Sometimes when I look at her I think, how can someone who’s been in this business for so long be so naïve?  And then sometimes I realize she just…she hasn’t let it harden her.  She’s ignored it; she’s remained the bubbly, country girl from bum fuck Georgia.

 

And I fucking love that about her.

 

I just gotta remember to be patient with her and to realize even though she’s 24, even though she’s been through shit in her life, she’s still growing up.  And instead of getting on her for that, I need to help her through it.

 

“Meredith…”  She darts her eyes from Mr. Spot to me.  I close mine and say quietly, but firmly, “Don’t ever keep something from me again. Never anything that big.”

 

“I won't.”  I feel her shift against me, and she rests her head against my shoulder. Her hand is against the side of my head, touching the hair there.  “I promise.”  And when she says it, I fucking believe it.  I do.

 

I turn and look at her and she’s close to me, and she’s smiling just a bit. I smile back at her.  “And I promise no matter how big or small or stupid or insane it is, we’ll fix it ok? But just let me know about it, no matter what else is going on in my life or my career or anything.”

 

She pouts. “I’m sorry I’m stupid and kept it from you.”

 

“You’re not stupid, Meredith.  You’re not.  I think we’re just both way over sensitive about each other and our relationship.  I think it's just so intense for both of us that we’re scared something's going to happen to fuck it up.  I trust you and you trust me, right?”  She nods. “Then let's try to work on trusting what we have.  We need to be more open with each other, ok?”

 

She nods again but then pushes herself up into a sitting position beside me.  She crosses her legs and looks down at her hands in her lap.  She glances at me once and then looks back down at her fingers.  “I don’t want to pull this card out ‘cause I hate playing the "you do it, too" game.  But Justin…”  She sighs and looks at me,  “You're not very open with me either.  I know there's shit going on with you and Trace and, and yourself and you won't tell me.”

 

“I know…I know I’m to blame for being closed off.  I’m sorry about that. I just, I don’t know what's going on Mere, and it scares me.”  

 

I breathe deep.  I really, really don’t want to get into this with her right now.  I’m already drained and I feel like we should push that off for another night and concentrate on me and her.  But if she wants to know what I’m feeling, I guess… I guess she’s right.

 

“I feel…I feel like Trace is almost tired of being my friend, if that makes sense.  I know I’m not an easy person to be around.  I know I’m selfish as hell and he’s put up with it for so, so long, and I just feel like maybe he’s fed up with it. Like he’s got this clothing line project he’s working on, but he won’t tell me much about it.  I wanna help him, ya know?  'Cause I can.  It’s hard to just start up a new business and expect for it to go well.  I wanna help, but he doesn’t even want that.  He won't talk to me about his girlfriend and I know that’s because I’m an ass to her, and I’m…and I’m gonna try to stop, Mere.  I really am.”

 

She picks up one of my hands and holds it, running her fingers in between mine.  “I just feel like maybe I’ve gone too far now.  Maybe I’ve done some things he can't forgive.  Maybe it's too late and maybe it's gone on too long.  He fucking punched me Meredith, and…and I want to be able to forgive him for that.  But how in the hell can I forgive him when we don’t even talk anymore?”

 

“He still wants to be your friend Justin.  I know he does.  I think he feels like you got me now and you hate his girlfriend and it's…it's difficult.”  I look at her and she smiles at me, and it's fucking breathtaking. 

 

Shit, I can do this with her, ya know?

 

I could fucking see myself….stop it Justin.

 

“It’ll work out,” she says.

 

I hold her hand and clasp it instead of how she was playing with my fingers. “We’re going to work out, too Meredith…”

 

She smiles again and I can’t stop staring at her. 

 

And I can’t help myself.  I reach up to her shoulder and neck and pull her down, leaning up, pushing myself up on my other elbow and meeting her lips with my own.  I kiss her, and this time I do it deeply, tasting her, warm and sweet.  She kisses me back with a little shyness, but when I pull away she’s still smiling.  “You’re my everything,” I say against her lips.

 

Before I know it she’s laying down beside me and we’re making out, legs tangled, her hand on the back of my head, fisting the hair there. Her lips are wild against mine and I can’t hold back. 

 

She feels too good, tastes too good, and…and right now I fucking need her.

 

“Justin…”  She moans and I roll over and pin her underneath me, pressing myself into her lap.  I hope she can feel that.  I hope she can feel me and know what she does to me.  She sighs and I rub my lips over her jaw bone and down against her neck.  My hands go down her sides and push up the material there.  I touch warm, smooth skin, all the way up to her breasts, and I cover them with my hands. She shifts her hips against mine.

 

I feel her lips against my ear and she says softly, “Make love to me.”

 

And I groan and stop.  I stop and I wait and I’m not sure why.

 

I pull back slightly and whisper against her face, “Are you sure?”

 

“I need you,” she pleads with me and pulls me down against her, holding me around my shoulders.  “God after today I need you…this…”  She presses her lips against my neck and sighs against my skin, “…so, so much.”

 

I let her hold me until the feel of her breath and lips on my neck gets to be too much.  I pull back from her on all fours and push myself off her and off the bed.  I shuffle over to the door, knowing I have a goofy grin on my face now that I know she wants me to be with her.  Now that this has been talked about.  Now that I know…I know we can make it.

 

I put my hand against the knob to make sure it’s closed and move to lock it.  But there’s not a lock and I call to her, “You don’t have a lock on your door.”

 

“They won’t come in.”  I pass her a look and she smiles and pushes herself up a little on the bed, staring at me.  “Momma and I talked about it earlier.  I asked her where you were going to sleep and she said, ‘I don’t want to embarrass you, but me and your father know you are a big girl now, so we figured you could make that decision yourself.’  I was mortified.” 

 

I stand there at the end of the bed and stare at her as she twists her body to reach and turn the light off.  I stare at her in the dark, letting my eyes adjust to the blackness of her room.  But I can see her, a bit of moon light or something is shining through the curtains against her window, and I can see the outline of her body laying there, waiting for me.

 

I pull on the neck of my t shirt and pull it over my head, letting it drop on the floor. I hear her sigh and watch as she pushes herself up against her knees on the bed and I can’t help it.  I follow her actions and kneel on the bed, shuffling towards her, reaching out to her and wrapping her in my arms.  I kiss her and kiss her.  I hold her tight and then touch her face, moving my fingers down her arms and then to her back, stuffing them down the material of her sweat pants, holding her firm little ass there and pushing her into me. 

 

Her hands are on my shoulders, keeping me against her, keeping our mouths touching and craving, searching each other completely.  I pull my mouth from hers because I feel like I’m getting too eager kissing her like that.  I move in to kiss her neck, pulling my hands from her pants and moving to her sides, bunching up the tank top there.

 

“I love you…” I say against her neck. 

 

I feel her hands skim down my arms and back up.  Then those tiny fingers touch my chest and she whispers, “And I love your skin….” 

 

I smile against her and pull back a little, holding onto her shirt, “Lift up…”  She raises her arms over her head and I lift the shirt from her skin and immediately touch her full breasts. 

 

She kisses me again and we wind up on the bed.  I kiss her and touch her and she shimmies out of her sweat pants and underwear.  It’s quiet and rushed and she kneels beside me, working on the fly of my pants, tugging down.  I push them and my boxers down to my knees and kick them off the rest of the way.

 

We haven’t even pulled back the bedding and here we are, kissing, naked, wrapped up in each other, completely silent except for heavy breaths and her “ohhs”.  I touch her skin all over, down over her heaving breasts to her hip and in between.  I touch her there and she sucks in a breath.  She’s wet for me.

 

Shit, she’s so wet. 

 

I can’t help myself and I scoot as close as possible to her and pull on her thigh, pulling it up and over my hip.  We’re close and I’m breathing in her breaths.

 

“Justin…”  She sighs.  I press myself against her. I can feel it on me down there, my dick pressing into her, getting wet, getting hot, sliding and rubbing against her center.  It’s, fuck, it’s so slick.

 

“May I?” I whisper against her lips.

 

She sighs and pushes into me, her nipples hard and pushing into my chest. Then one of her arms curves around my back.  My arm’s over her thigh, holding onto her ass, holding her against me.  “You always ask permission.”  She smiles.  “You don’t have to ask permission.  Ever.  It’s yours Justin…”  She shifts against me and I reach down to hold myself so I can push my dick against her body, searching for her opening, finding it and sliding in.  She hisses, “All yours…”  And I swallow the lump in my throat. 

 

Holy…

 

I grip her thigh and keep it high up over my hip.  I’m holding on for dear life, holding on to her.  I start slowly moving in her.  I’m barely in her, just moving in and out, the tip of me staying in, only half of me going in.  Still, still it feels like heaven.  And she kisses me and her fingers touch my spine, skimming over the ridges up to my neck and back down. 

 

God…

 

I kiss her still, not letting her go, our lips touching, our tongues coming out to play, pulling back to tease each other, dipping in to fully taste.

 

And I can’t help myself.  It’s too much and I need more.  It feels so good just barely going in her, moving slow and gripping her smooth skin, but I need her.  I need all of her.

 

I need to be all the way inside. 

 

I move my hand up her back and keep kissing her, but I roll over on top of her and push myself up a little against my forearms.  I sink deeper and she sighs beneath me and looks up into my eyes. It’s still dark in this room and I can still barely see her, but her eyes are shining at me.  And she’s happy. 

 

She bends and moves her legs on either side of me and runs her hand up my back into my hair. We both groan when I seem to fall deeper into her at the movement of her legs.  I’m all the way in now, all the fucking way…

 

“Don’t ever…”  I lean and kiss her and press my forehead against hers, sighing into her face, “ever keep something from me again.” It starts to happen and I hate it.  At first I feel pathetic and stupid, but when I look into her eyes, I realize that it’s ok to feel this way.  It’s ok for me to be emotional about today, about what happened, about…about what could have fucking happened.

 

And being inside her, all the way inside her, knowing that one day I might do this with her and it might really, actually happen, makes me unable to control myself. I lean down into the pillow beside her head and I say harsh, choking out, “It hurts too much when you don’t let me in…”

 

I start to cry.  I don’t sob, I’m not that pathetic.  But I do cry just a little.  I wipe my face against the pillow and breathe there, feeling her all around me, squeezing me down there, holding me tight with her hands against my back and head. 

 

She turns to me and I lift my head a little and sniff, looking at her.  She’s smiling at me, and she moves her hand down my head and strokes the back of my neck, blinking slowly.

“Then let me in, too.”

 

And I do.  I keep my head against her pillow.  I just close my eyes and concentrate on how she feels.  Her hips start to shift and slightly rock against mine.  And I hold on.  I lay on top of her and I hold her, but she’s the one doing this to me.  She’s the one loving me.

 

I try not to let my emotions crash down on me again.  I try to keep myself in check and I do a pretty good job, but it’s hard, it becomes so hard when I can hear her beneath me, sighing and saying my name softly.  I start to move with her and it feels…perfect.  This is where I’m supposed to be, with her, in her…always.

 

No matter what’s happened to us or what will happen to us, I know with all of my fucking heart that she loves me and nothing is going to change that.  Nothing.  Every other girl I was with there was a fear I’d fuck up.  I did fuck up, and shit would grow and grow until it was uncontrollable and over.

 

But Meredith will let me mess up.  She’ll let me make mistakes and she still loves me.  She still fucking loves me.

 

And I still love her.  Even though she lied to me and even though she tried to keep this from me.  I still love her.  And I’m not going to stop.

 

 I can’t.

 

Chapter 36 by Mere

Chapter 36

 

Trace's Room, 3:25 p.m.

It's been a rough week.  I think Courtney and I have broken up.  I mean, I haven't even spoken to her in three days, ever since Atlanta.  I don’t know, maybe it’s just a coincidence.  Maybe I’m an idiot.  We've been busy with interviews and shit, but still.  You have to make a point to avoid someone in a business like this.  It's not easy to do with Justin and Mere doing stuff together all the time.

But she has avoided me.

And I don't blame her one bit.

Sometimes I sit here and think to myself how much of an asshole Justin is, how fucking mean he can be straight to someone's face and just not give a shit about it afterwards.  But then I think about myself and sometimes I'm worse of an asshole than he is, because I’m sneaky about it.  I put on this face and this front that I'm a nice, easy going, out to have a good time guy....but really, I'm a fucking asshole.  I put him before her.  And maybe, ya know, maybe that's how it's always going to be.  Maybe I know, personally, that until I'm not his assistant anymore, Justin Timberlake is going to be my fucking life.  As gay as it is.  As much as it makes me a pathetic little faggot.

But it's not fair to her.  At all.  She deserves to have someone, to have a man fucking love her and show her that she is the most important thing to him.  I want to be that for a woman again.  I want to be that rock, to show her she's it for me.  Good god, I want to be that for her.  I want to be in love with her.  I just don’t know how.  Maybe I'm more fucked up than I realize.

Maybe I should tell her about me and Justin. 

Maybe I should tell her about me and Elisha. 

God, maybe I should just figure out what the hell I want instead of being a little pussy all the time.

A quiet, buzzing noise goes off and I look up and yawn. I watch Justin pick his phone off of the coffee table in front of us, look at it, flip it open, smile for a minute and then start texting something.

I’m assuming it’s Meredith.  We arrived in D.C. early, early this morning.  They have a show tomorrow night.  Justin didn’t have much press, just a phone-in radio spot a couple hours ago, but Meredith had a meeting and some in-house interviews to go to.  They rode separately here, which was one of the first times they’ve done it all tour.  I know he misses her.  I know that’s one of the reasons he’s hanging out with me.

 

I know another reason is that he feels bad, even pity.  Maybe.

 

But it’s something.  I give him credit for trying, no matter how lame it is.

 

"They done?"  I ask and look back at the TV, watching a commercial for some financial advising company.

"Yeah."  He says and then tosses his phone haphazardly onto the coffee table.  I should tell him it’s gonna break again.  He has a habit of breaking his phones.  But he won’t listen.  He doesn’t care.  He’ll just go get a new one, a better one.

 

The tournament comes back on and Justin’s quiet as Mickleson comes up to put for birdie.  I ask him, “You wanna go see her?"

"Nah, we're hanging."

 

I watch him as he stares at the TV for a moment before I turn and look, just in time to see Mickleson make the put.  The hush, the tension that happened before it got in, the crescendo of shock in people’s tones and the eruption of applause as the ball goes in: it’s all something I like to experience whether on TV or there in person.  People say watching golf on TV is boring as hell, but I like it.  I like it a lot.  I’ve started liking it a lot more now that Justin’s gotten me into playing the game.

 

We use to play when we were kids, just shitting around, pretending like we knew what we were doing.  But I stopped in middle school and got more into football and basketball.  He’d do it every now and then, but about 5 years ago he got back into it, really back into it.  So I guess, so have I. 

 

“God, he's good," I say.

"Ya know…” Justin sighs, scratches his head and keeps watching, “We should see if we can like, I don’t know, play a round with him."

 

Sometimes I want to laugh at him when he says shit like this, when he uses his celebrity in front of me.  He doesn’t flaunt it, he knows I don’t give a shit, but at the same time it sounds pretty ridiculous.

 

But it’s not ridiculous, ‘cause I know if Justin called up Phil Mickleson’s people they’d more than likely agree to 18 holes one day and I’d be right there with him. Excited.  Fucking giddy like a loser.

 

"So we can embarrass ourselves?"

He shrugs. "Hey, I don’t think it'd be embarrassing."

"Oh excuse me Mr. Woods,” I roll my eyes at him and he laughs at me a little. “I'm not that great at it.  You know this!  You know I only golf ‘cause you make me."

"You like it.  All the balls and sticks get you hard."

I roll my eyes.  He's so fucking mature.  "Fag."

 

So am I.


It's quiet again for a while and after a few moments of silence he clears his throat and leans forward against his knees, spinning his phone around on the table with his finger, not looking at me.  "Speaking of...”

I stare at him, he doesn’t look at me and I can tell he’s suddenly nervous about something.  Shit.

 

I think I know where this is going.

 

"You and Courtney doing ok?  You haven’t been around her much."

I laugh and shake my head at him.  "This isn't gonna work."

"I'm..." He sighs and plops back against the couch. "I'm fucking trying Trace, ok?"  He runs his hand over his face like he's in miserable pain. I almost have pity for him.  I know he doesn’t give a shit about her and me, but he's doing it because he's trying to be my friend again, trying not to be an asshole.  Well, it’s a little too late.  I don’t hate Justin, not at all, but he can't just expect me to forget everything that happened and be buddy-buddy with him again, dishing to him every sordid detail about me and Courtney's relationship.  I don’t want him to know, ‘cause I know he'll just be gagging on the inside.  And I know there's nothing I can do or say to make him like her any more.  It’s a fucking lost cause.

"You just can’t expect me to take all that shit back and be all cool with it again, ‘cause I know you aren’t asking ‘cause you’re interested.  You’re asking ‘cause you have to."

"I don’t have to do anything."  He starts to pout a little.  It's almost pathetic.  I know he and his girl had some big heart to heart the other day about the whole pregnancy thing and I guess maybe he's trying to change his bad attitude for her a little bit.  I say good for her for making him change.  But it's too fucking late for me.  He can't expect me to just ignore it all.  He can't. 

 

"I'm trying to be nicer for my sake, ‘cause if I don’t get my act together, I'm gonna lose Mere.  And maybe you, too.  And you know I can't fucking do..."

God he makes it sound like we're fucking dating or something.  I gotta end this conversation quick.  It's making me feel weird.

 

"I know."  I say as nicely as I can. "I just feel weird talking about her with you, alright?" He just stares off into space a little bit.  I sigh, "So you and Mere good?"

He keeps staring and nods.  "Yeah, we're working on stuff.  I love that girl to death, but I swear we're both fucking basket cases sometimes."

I laugh. "It's why you get along so well."

He doesn’t laugh, but sighs heavily and finally, after a while, looks over at me. "It's so weird Trace.  I swear it’s like Britney all over again.  But not.  I shouldn’t compare them but everything I loved about her...I love about Mere.  But deep down, Mere's got a lot more backbone.  I don’t know.  I just see it like this is my second chance to make sure this one works out, ya know?”

"Don't compare them," I warn.  Crap, he knows better than that.  "I know it's easy to do, but they are different. Very different.  Don't bring yourself into that arena, ‘cause it's gonna be dangerous."

"I know you're right.  I need to love her for her, for being my girl and not because she's halfway like my ex.”  He pauses and shakes his head.  “I swear those bitches fucked us up man."

"Yeah, but you've had more time to get over yours.  You really need to stop thinking about it."

"I have!  I have!  Seriously, I rarely think of her. I guess, just lately I've been doing a lot of recollecting over my life, ya know?  Trying to figure out what the fuck I want."

I laugh and can't stop it.  He's so ridiculous sometimes, getting in these really contemplative moods.  He's got the best fucking life out there and he starts re-thinking his decisions sometimes.  It's insane.  Or maybe I'm insane.  I used to never be this cynical about my best friend.  I used to never be this much of a fucking downer.  "That's dangerous.  You thinking is always dangerous."

"Shut up."

 

“It is!" 

 

He picks up his phone, glances at it, sighs, and I stare at him as I say, "You’ll start thinking and then you'll get these grand ideas and then who fucking knows what will happen." He's still looking at his phone and I can tell that he's getting antsy. 

 

He wants to go see her.  I don't blame him.  I mean, I know Justin's pussy whipped like no other. but if I had a girl that was that in love with me, I’d want to be around her all the time, too.  I wish Courtney would be in love with me.  That's unfair to say.  God I’m an asshole.

"Look, go see your girl."

He holds his phone in his hand, but leans back against the couch, staring up at the TV. "Nah, I wanna hang out."

"Justin..."  He looks at me.  "You know Mickelson is going to win this shit.  Go hang out with your woman. Y’all have had a crazy few weeks with her getting sick and the big pregnancy thing."

He shrugs but won’t look me in the eye, "I just feel bad, ya know?"

I know what he means.  He doesn’t just feel bad for leaving right now.  He means he feels bad about it all, every bit of it.  I can see it in his face.  I know he won't apologize and I know he doesn't have to.  He knows he acted like a jack ass.  He knows he's done some things that aren't cool.  His pride won't let him say sorry, but he's trying.  I know he's trying to make this up to me. 

 

It's so weird.

We use to be able to read each other by just a glance.  I use to know exactly what he needed or was thinking and he was the same with me.  If an asshole was digging in too deep in an interview, if a hot chick had a hot friend, if he needed a five minute break to call his mom about something. But now, something’s happened in the past few months, I can blame it on Courtney, I can blame it on Meredith, but I know damn well it started before they ever came into our lives. 

 

As much as I hate to say it, we're growing apart.  He's trying to stop it.  He's trying to ignore it.

But I guess in some weird way I've accepted it.  I guess I’m getting burnt out by being his friend.  What a shitty thing to say.

Now who's the asshole?

"Get over it."  I laugh and wave my hand at him. "We're cool."

"Alright well...." He stands up and stretches.  "Maybe we can all do something later, go out for supper or something."

I roll my eyes, a double date with him and Courtney? Yeah...right.  "Just go..."

He flips me off and immediately starts dialing his phone, then presses it to his ear.  He gets to the door and turns, saying to me, "Hey, good job on the line.  I'm proud of you man."
 
I don't say anything in response.  I’ve tried to push it from my mind.  I’ve tried not to fidget over it or get too antsy.  He came in an hour earlier and I was on the phone with some people that are interested in the line.  He asked me about it after I hung up.  I didn't lie to him, I told him the truth.  He seemed genuinely happy for me, interested, excited.  I didn’t tell him everything I was thinking, though.  I couldn’t.  Not yet.

He stares at me and pushes the door open.  My eyes widened when I see who's standing on the other side, about to get hit, her hand raised into a fist, ready to knock.  She steps away quickly and looks up at Justin with a blank stare. 

Shit.  World War 3 is about to happen.

Then, miraculously, Justin just says, "Hey..."  Not really excited or angry...it's just there.

I blink and swallow the lump in my throat. He holds the door open for her as she walks in, his arm stretched over the door, pushing it inward.  She seems as shocked by it as I am. "Oh, hi," Courtney says.

She looks at me for a moment and then back at Justin and he waves, "Later y’all." He lets his arm slide off from the door and leaves.  It closes with a heavy noise, not a slam, but a deep thud.  And just like that he’s gone and she’s here.

 

She’s finally here.

She walks into the room, sets her bag on the floor by the couch, and points over her shoulder with her thumb, "Does he have a twin I don’t know about?"

"He's turned a new leaf..." I say and look up at her.  God, she looks so fucking good. Maybe it’s because I haven’t really been alone with her in a few days, but maybe it’s because she really is looking damn sexy.  She's got on a skirt and blouse and looks a little more dressy, but not as preppy or uptight as she normally does. "Damn, hey."

"Hey..." She runs her hands through her hair that's down and straight and silky looking.  She sits down on the couch, right where Justin was and says, "We need to talk about some stuff."

I suck in a breath.  Here we go.  I don’t know what I'm going to have to do, but I'm going to do it to try to keep her from breaking up with my poor ass. I’ve tried to act like it wouldn’t matter and wouldn’t bother me.  But now that she’s here right in front of me, I realize how much I’ve fucking missed her.

 

Like my stomach feels weak and my breathing is shallow.  She’s here with me, but I want her closer.

 

I lean forward on my knees, resting against my elbows and I stare at her.  "Yes, yes we do."

I debate getting up from this loveseat and sitting with her on the couch, but for now I stay still, just staring at her.

"So..."

I start speaking faster than I can think, "Can I go first, please?  I just, I have a feeling if I don’t, you're gonna break up with me right now and I'd like to talk to you first before you make up your mind."  

 

She only stares at me and I know, I know in that look that that's what she really did have planned to do when she came in here.  She was going to break up with me and she doesn't refute it.  "I want to apologize for being an ass lately.  It doesn't make it better but I need to say it.  I've fucked up with you Courtney.  I know I have.  I've put other people, Justin, hell…myself, over you and I shouldn’t.  You're my girl and you should be number one in my life."

"No, I shouldn’t.  I'm not asking to be your everything, Trace.  We're not in love, we're just-"

I cut her off.  I'm still not thinking clearly. "What if I want to be?"  I suck in a breath.  She still just stares at me.  "What if I want to fall in love with you?"

Did I really just say that out loud to her?  She blinks. Only blinks at me.

 

Shit.  I really did.

She sighs and shakes her head.  Her shoes slide off and she pulls her legs up on the couch with her, holding herself around her knees.  Her skirt dips down a little bit and I tell myself not to be a pervert and look. "You make it seem like it’s a decision you can make, like you can turn it on...and off."

I can’t stop looking.


"No...no…” I say, still staring at her, not really hearing what I say.  “But I can hold myself back.”

 

It doesn’t work.  I just keep staring.  I have to stand up and sit down beside her so that I don’t stare at the underneath of her thighs, creamy white and smooth, begging me to touch them.  

 

“I can close myself off, keep pushing you away and make you hate me.  I can do that and make this stop.  And maybe deep down that’s what I wanted ‘cause I was scared of how serious this was getting.  But now...now I don’t wanna make you hate me.  I want to be in love Courtney."

I look her in the eye and lean into her a little, but she just shakes her head and puts down her legs.  "How could you even say that when you’re in love with your best friend?"

"I'm not..."

"God dammit Trace!”  She smacks her hands down on her thighs.  Here it comes. “You pretty much told me to my face that I pale in comparison to him.  And I know you’ve known each other for so long, but at the same time, he's an ass to me.  I don’t want you guys to not be friends anymore.  That's not what I'm trying to do.  I just don’t want you to act like I don’t exist to just appease him.  I will not have a man put me down like that again!  I'd rather be depressed and alone than have a man treat me like that."

"I freaked out about the baby thing," I say pathetically.  She just rolls her eyes.

"Which was ridiculous.  It's their shit, not ours."

"No, no it was about me to some extent.”  She gives me an unbelieving look.  “Some shit happened several years ago."

I don’t say anything more.  She stares at me.  Those eyes staring slowly, narrowing at me as time goes on.  I hate it when she’s mad at me. To some extent it’s sexy, it used to be very sexy before we really got together, when all we did was fight and make out.  Now…now she’s got this power over me.  She could just stand up, break up with me and leave and that’d be it.

 

And then where would I be?

 

"And that’s it,” she says slightly sad.  “You won’t tell me."

I take in a breath and decide to tell her.  I know she probably thinks the reason I don’t tell her everything about me is because I’ve bought into Justin’s crap and think that she’s selling shit.  I know she’s not.  She’s not that cold, I know her.  I fucking know her and I know she wouldn’t do that.  She’s not a money hungry bitch.  She’s not in this job for fame. 

 

I don’t tell her stuff because of my own personal problems, my own insecurities, my own issues with trust.  I’m an open, nice guy on the surface, but deep down I’m closed off.  There’s a barricade around me and every fucking time I’ve let someone in to see that part of me…I get burned.

 

I take a chance, now.  I let her in a little, hoping she doesn’t burn me down.

 

"Britney had a pregnancy scare like Meredith did and she ran to me and told me and promised me not to tell Justin.  And I kept that promise, like an idiot.  When she told him like a month later about it, he flipped on me.  I’ve never seen him more livid in my fucking life.  And I flipped back.  We didn’t talk for four months, Courtney. Not a word.  It's the only time we've fought, besides now.  And then was a lot worse than it is now.  Then it was explosive and just over.  This, now, it’s just petty arguments and disagreements.  When Britney and him broke up, that’s when he finally came back and was torn up and begging for me to be his friend again.  Yeah, he begged me.  And I gave in and I told him I'd help him get through it ‘cause me and my girl had just broken up at that time, too.  I mean, I wasn’t nearly as fucked up as he was, but I felt for him and knew in that moment when he called me up, saying he needed to hang out that it was serious and that everything that had happened between us was forgiven and forgotten. It was rough, but we got through it."

She scoffs and rolls her eyes.  “I don’t get the appeal of him at all.  I really don’t.  That sounds just like him, just like the Justin I know, a selfish asshole who only comes to you when he needs you and forgets you the rest of the time."

"No Court…” I laugh a little bit. 

 

Maybe Justin’s not the only one that’s been recollecting over his life lately.  I guess I have, too. Thinking about that time, when we didn’t talk for months, thinking back on when we were teenagers and fucking around all the time.  Fucking invincible.  And I guess, just like him, I’ve also been comparing Courtney to my past girls.  But she’s so fucking different from all of them.

 

I think that’s a good thing.  I think that’s why I want to fall in love with her so bad.

 

“It was my fault.  I kept it from him and he got mad at me.  He had a right to because whereas I think Meredith was keeping this shit from Justin out of concern for him, Britney just didn’t want to deal with it.  She wanted to act like it didn’t happen for her own sake.  And I bought into it.  I kept it from him and when he found out he was rightfully mad.  I was his best friend and I kept a secret that big from him.  And I didn’t want to deal with it. I didn’t want to deal with knowing I was wrong.  I was the one that was stubborn and selfish.  I was the one that cut him off.  I’m the one that deleted his name from my cell phone and ignored his calls. ‘Cause I couldn’t handle it.  I couldn’t handle the mistakes that I had made.” 

 

I sigh and she’s just looking at me.  She stares at me, with her mouth slightly opened, blinking slowly as if what I just said was a shock to her.

 

Yeah, maybe she sees that I’m an asshole, too now.  Maybe she now understands why me and Justin are best friends.  Because we’re twins.  But whereas he forgave me so fucking easily for being such a dick to him, I’m having the hardest time forgiving him.  It’s not really fair.

 

"I'm starting to do it again and that’s why I flipped when I found out about it all.  I couldn’t do it again.  I couldn’t keep something like that from him again, even with you asking me not to.  I couldn’t risk it.  And I know once again I was putting him before you.  Hell, I don’t know anything anymore.  I'm just a big fucking mess."

She shakes her head and opens her mouth.  Nothing comes out and she shuts it after a few seconds and then says quietly, "Ya know, I use to think you had everything together..."

"And now you realize I’m a big failure."  That's what I feel like.  Despite all the insanity that's happening around me, how I'm doing good with my life, got my clothing line, Justin's getting so much buzz off his new record and I've got a hot girlfriend and everything...I still feel like the biggest failure.  And I can feel her slipping.  I can feel it, like she's just not going to be with me much longer...maybe only a few more minutes.

I'm too hypocritical, or weak, or something.

"I never said that, Trace."  She sighs and turns a little to me, staring right at me.  I could live in that look; it’s sweet and concerned, different from her normal cold, hard stare. 

 

"Look, I just...I need to know if this is how it's going to be, ‘cause I don’t know if I can handle it.  Ya know, fuck it if Justin's an asshole to me!  People have been mean to me before.  I’ll get over it.  But I feel like I’m always fighting for your attention.  I feel like even when you’re with me, you’re not."  She stops and I feel her hand on my forearm.  I haven't touched her in days. 

 

"I want this.  I'm...I'm..." She sighs and looks away.  "It's hard for me to say, but I’m there with you, ya know? I've fucking fallen, but I can't deal with...with this!  I understand you not wanting to keep something from your best friend, but god!  You should have told me that that night instead of freaking out on me and making me feel like a little girl or something.  I was trying to help Meredith out, I was doing my job."

I pull away a little and lean forward, holding my head in my hands, smoothing back over the longer hair on the top of my head.  This mohawk thing was stupid, too.  All of my ideas lately are just stupid.  Shit, I haven’t been this down on myself in so long.

 

"You just don’t know how crazy I went when I saw that test box in your trash can Courtney.  I...I lost it."

"I know that, and it's ok, alright?  I know it's a scary..."

"No..." I interrupt.  I close my eyes and think back on what I promised I wouldn’t think about again, what I've been trying to push away this whole time.  This whole time.  It was her.  It was my stupidity, my big ass mouth that got me where I was now. 

 

And her.

'Lish, we can do this.  If it's positive we...we can get married. 

"No you don’t get it.”  I say, laughing pathetically at myself.  “Fucking god damn pregnancy scares is like all my life is about." It's sad but it's true.  "Meredith and Justin, Britney and Justin...me and Elisha...it's the fucking reason we got engaged, Courtney.  She thought she was...she took a test...and she was.  I proposed to her.  I fucking proposed.  And then she went to the doctor and they said she wasn’t, and that the test was a dud.  I couldn’t back down from that.  I loved her, I really did and I thought, ya know, I should just keep going through with it.  And as soon as I really committed to her and was all gung ho, ready to get married, ready to settle down, it all fucking blew up in my face.  So yeah, it's hard for me to put you first cause I've done that before.  I've put women ahead of myself before, many, many times.  And it always backfires."

Suddenly I feel her hand touch my back, only for a moment.  Her fingertips snap away quickly and when I look over at her from my hunched position, she's biting at her nails nervously, leaning back against the couch.  She doesn't look at me.  She stares right ahead of me where the TV is still on. 

"Can I ask you something seriously?  And I want you to answer this as truthfully as possible." I nod at her.  She doesn’t look at me but reaches forward and grabs the remote, turning the TV off.  When she sits back, her knees are pulled up, feet pressing into the edge of the cushion, and she stares at the tops of her smooth knees. She’s leaning back against the couch, just staring right in front of her with a very, sad, sad look.  "Do you think I’m a rebound?  Not..."  She breathes quickly and says, "Do you want me to be one, nor is that why I think you got with me...but really...think about it.  Is this just a rebound for you?"

 

I don't say anything.  My brain stops for a second.  And when she looks at me I see tears in her eyes.  She's holding them back. She's trying to be strong.

And I get it.  

I get that despite the fact that we both tried to push this off into a casual thing, into dating or whatever...this is serious.  Somehow, someway, we both need each other.

And that need is very serious.

"I'm not gonna be mad at you if it is." She says quietly, and I've never seen her look so vulnerable.  The strong, independent, ferocious Courtney I use to know is gone, and she becomes a scared little woman, needing me. 

And it's there.

I feel it. 

Love.

I fall hard for her.

"No, it's not a rebound," I say confidently.  "Maybe when it started it was.  But I didn’t start dating you to forget Elisha.  I started this with you because I had to.  I couldn’t get you out of my fucking mind, Courtney.  I tried to stop thinking about you because I did think you were a rebound.  I was like, ‘don’t go for her, it’s just a back up.’  But you kept coming back and back and back.  And now I...I fucking want you.  And I want to be a good man for you.  I want to be your man, not just this wimp that you date that can't even stand up for you."

"See, and then I feel bad because the one time you did stand up for me, you punched him in the face."

I smile at her. "He deserved it."

"Yeah…” She smiles back and it drops suddenly.  “But you didn’t.  I don’t know.  I just hate that I'm like standing in between you and your best friend."

"And the only reason why you are is because I've put you there." I turn to her and grab both of her hands.  I feel silly like I’m out of a god damn movie or something.  But I need to touch her and I feel like any other way, on her leg or shoulder, she might smack me and call me a pervert. 

 

Even though she was rubbing my back just a few minutes ago.

 

"Look, the tour is almost over.  We have just a handful of dates left and...and dammit Courtney, I don’t want this to end.  After this tour it'll just be you and me."

"And Justin and Meredith."

"No...I..."  I stop and drop her hands.

"What?"

I should just tell her.  I should just…

 

I should let her in.

 

I lick my lips and say cautiously, "I think I'm going to take a break from this."

"What?"  She asks even though I think she knows exactly what I mean when I say it.

"I have to."

I watch her whole body expand as she takes in a breath and she holds it, asking, "Have you told him?"

"No, but...but I think he knows.  He's been talking about his cousin Rachel a lot lately, about getting her a job somewhere.  I think he's trying to get her into this business.  She'd be good at it.  She's young, naive...but...she'd be good at it."

"And what about you?"

I look at the coffee table for a moment.  My folder is there with a bunch of my stuff in it, designs, layouts, product development, themes, names, etc.  I smile a little bit.  I am excited about it.  I mean it is a good thing going on in my life.  I really should just suck it up, be a man, and stop being so fucking depressed and down about everything. 

 

She doesn’t seem like she’s breaking up with me, Justin doesn’t seem to hate me.  My clothing line is taking off.  My life isn’t horrible.

 

It really isn’t.

 

"Well, I launch this damn clothing line.  I got a call this morning from this design team I've been trying to get in contact with.  They love it, Courtney.  They fucking love it.  They wanna run with it.  They want to help me develop it."

"That's amazing."

I look at her, and she seems proud of me, happy to be mine.  Shit, she’s still mine.   I put my hand on her knee. "And I wanna have more time with you.  I still...I still want to be with you then Courtney, when this tour is over.  I don’t want it to just end like that.  I want to be able to call my own shots, live my own life.  Not just follow him around, making my schedule and my life...fit his.  It's not his fault. I don’t blame him for it.  I decided to do this for him.  I decided this would be my life.  But I want something different now." 

 

I sigh and move my hand to her thigh and squeeze her there, touching her intimately for the first time in so, so long.  "And I still fucking want you."  She smiles at me.  It’s that smile.

 

It’s the smile I’ve been waiting for, for days…no…weeks.

 

‘Cause she hasn’t smiled like that since we first started this damn thing. She’s been too stressed, too worried. 

 

"So...so what did you want to talk about?" I ask.

"Um...I was going to tell you that we needed to talk about us and that, ya know...”  She pauses and laughs.  “It really doesn’t matter now."

"What? Tell me."  I need to know what she was thinking.  Even though I already have an idea.  I guess in a way, I wanna know if I changed her mind.

She closes her eyes and shakes her head, then runs her hand through her silky hair.  I want to touch her.  I want to kiss her.  So bad.

 

"I shouldn’t expect you to be perfect Trace, ‘cause you don’t expect it from me.  And I know you want me, and I know I'm your girl...and I know you are struggling right now with what's important in your life.  And I get that, now.  I really do.  It honestly makes me feel good, in a weird way, because I see how much I've shaken you.  It shows how much I must mean to you to make you get all crazy.  It makes me want you even more."

"You're nuts.”  I laugh at her and lean closer to her. “Me being indecisive and a little whiny bitch is turning you on?"

"Well…” Her eyelids lower and she passes me a flirty look.  Just like that it’s over.  Just like that I know she’s not leaving me.  Just like that I know that she wants me.  “I know you're not always a little bitch."

She’s leaning closer to me, her hands are on my shoulders.  I ask, “Really?"

 

She kisses me.

 

She kisses me….hard.

 

Suddenly she’s straddling my lap and my hands are on her hips and she’s holding onto my face, kissing me and kissing me.

 

“Wait…”  I pull back from her and she’s breathless and staring at me. “Are you still mad about-”

 

“Yes…”  She kisses me again.

 

But I pull back again and ask, “Are we still toge-”

 

“Yes…”  And again she kisses me, but I’m not done.  I’m not done with this conversation.  I want her, god damn I want her so bad.  But I need to know the reason she’s on top of me right now.  I’m not complaining. God no.  I just don’t want her doing this out of pity or something.

 

“Are we…”

 

“Shut up.”  She says firmly and holds my cheeks in her hands and stares right at me.  “I want you, Trace.  I don’t want any more questions because despite what happens to us out in the real world, when it’s just me and you and no one else…I feel so. damn. good.  And I need to feel good right now.  With you.”

 

I suck in a breath and start to smile, rubbing on her hips a little, moving my hands to her ass and pulling her hard against me. She’s gotten me there, hard and horny for her in less than a handful of seconds.  She’s that good.

 

“Shit girl, you do feel good.  You do.”

 

I can’t help myself and I keep kissing her and rubbing her and pushing her down on me.  It quickly gets to the point where my fingers are clumsily unbuttoning the front of her shirt.  She pulls it off eagerly and tugs at the material on my shoulders.  I break away from her only for a moment, feeling her grind herself down into me as I tug my shirt off.  I hold her close and move her and me, so her back is on the couch and I’m laying over her.

 

I can’t help myself.  I have to touch.  My hands are on her thighs, my lips are on her neck. She’s sighing, holding my hair in her hands.  I touch her there….feeling her wet and aching against her panties.

 

God damn…I’ve missed this.  I’ve fucking missed this.

 

She’s so right.  This….this is good.  We’re good.  And it’s not just sex.  But this, when we’re alone together and nothing else in the world matters, we’re perfect.  We’re fucking perfect.

 

I move my fingers inside and brush against her wet, slick skin easily.  She only has to kiss me, whispering ‘more’ in between our heavy kisses.  I know to slide my fingers inside.  She bucks against my hands.  She wants this…badly.  So, so fucking bad.

 

“Trace…”  I pull away from her chest where I was kissing her and look up at her.

 

“Yes…”  I smile.

 

She runs her fingers down the side of my face and smiles at me.  “Let’s lock the door, turn off our phones, and spend the rest of the afternoon together.”

 

It sounds like the best idea I’ve ever heard.  “Really?”

 

“I don’t think they have plans.  I’ll call Meredith and let her know me and you are gonna be unavailable.”

 

I smirk and look down at her breasts that are spilling out of her bra.  It’s a sexy little bra, nude colored, but a little lacy and sexy as hell.  “You gonna dish details?  Tell Mere how good I made you feel?”  My fingers are still in her and I curl them a little.  She arches up into me, her breasts pressing against my chin.

 

“No…”

 

“You gonna call now?” I tease.

 

She shakes her head ‘no’ and I feel her hand brush down my chest, down and down, until she grabs me through my jeans. “After….after you have sex with me.”

 

Just like that it’s over and I’m ready.  Damn, am I ready.  I feel this drama leave me and wash away as I kiss her and finger her.  She grabs my cock through my jeans and I swear it’s the best fucking feeling.  But I know it’s not.  I know damn well it’s not.  Nothing is gonna feel better than when I sink down into her hot little body.

 

We scramble apart for a moment to get naked and she spreads her legs around me and lets me enter her quickly, holding onto me and sighing out my name.  We don’t waste any time.  We’re both there, jerking and moving fast, sighing and moaning, and she feels so fucking good.  So…so fucking good.

 

I could lose it easily.  But I don’t.  I hold out and wait for her.  I get her there first.

 

It’s a small thing, and something that she probably doesn’t even realize.  But when I look down at her face as she comes hard and violently around me, banging her fists into my back, biting her lip so hard, I see that she knows I’m putting her first.  I’m letting her get there first.  I’m making her the most important thing to me.

 

And when she gasps my name and clutches to my shoulder, pushing her face into my neck, I fucking explode over and over. I go crazy inside of her…I lose my god damn fucking mind.

 

And I’m ok with it.  ‘Cause she’s mine.  And I’m all hers.

 

I’ve fucking fallen for her.  Just like that. 

 

There’s no going back now. 

 

Hell, I don’t wanna go back.

Chapter 37 by Mere
Author's Notes:
sorry for the long delay guys. *hugs*

Meredith’s Dressing Room, 3:58

 

I've had this happen to me once before. It was the summer after my senior year in high school. The A/C stopped working in my room at my parents’ house. This was when I lived upstairs. Being the only child, my parents spoiled me, well without really spoiling me. I had the biggest bedroom in the house and it was on the side of the house that got the most sun. But the A/C busted and our electrician, my dad's buddy, was on vacation that week. So instead of finding someone else to fix it, they put fans in my room, and I spent most of the days, and some of the nights, downstairs on the couch. Sometimes, though, I'd stay in my room, wearing only underwear or a bathing suit, with the fan on high, facing straight at me.

As long as I stayed still I was fine. It never seemed to get too hot, even though it was over 100 outside, and inside it was just about the same. No open window would cool me off because with no breeze the Georgian summer humidity would seep right in. It was like sitting in a hot bath, all day. It's not as pleasant as it sounds.

But the A/C got back working as soon as my dad's buddy came back from the beach. A month later I moved up north for school and it was me who told my parents to move up to the big room upstairs. I took the guest bedroom downstairs; it’s where I sleep now when I'm at home. And my parent’s old room is now the "office", or really just another room with a recliner and a TV for dad to hang out in when mom doesn't want to watch racing with him.

I don't know why I'm thinking about them now. I guess it's because I just left them. I always seem to miss them more right after I've left them. I could go 6 months without seeing them and I'll miss them more that first month than I will the 5th. It's weird.

I guess I'm just thinking about mom and dad because of how hot this dressing room is, memories or something. It's weird, too. The rest of the arena and backstage area is cool, nice, actually a little too cool for me and I felt chill bumps on my skin earlier in the hallway. But my room feels like the heat is on. The heats not on but they think there might be something wrong with the A/C wiring, whatever that means. What it means is that there is no A/C in this small room.

I sit in front of the fan and sigh. It's summer and we're in Philly and it’s really too fucking hot to have this happen to me today.

 

The last thing I need is people fussing over me, worried about "heat exhaustion" or whatever.

I look over at Courtney and she's leaning against the counter, arms over her chest. I can't imagine how she's not sweating in her pants and button down shirt. I'd be dying. Hell, I'm in shorts and a tank top and I am dying! She's staring at the lower half of a man who's hanging out of the ceiling panels of my dressing room, perched on a ladder.

 

I look into the fan and say, "Lukkkeee, I am your father." I laugh and it sounds choppy in the fan.

Courtney rolls her eyes at me but smiles. I'm glad things are ok right now. At least everything seems ok between everyone. It’s hard to tell. Really hard. I have a hard time figuring out what she's really thinking about me. I know she thinks I'm pathetic because I flipped out about the pregnancy thing. But that's how I dealt with it. It's over now.

I panicked. And I know it wasn’t the best way to handle the situation, so I’m really trying to work on being overexcited about stuff and overreacting all the time.

The guy starts to move down the ladder and he comes down to the floor. He sighs and turns off the flashlight in his hand and sticks it in the tool belt by his side. “I’m sorry. We’re going to have to call our electrician in. It looks like something’s frayed in here and we don’t want an electrocution on our hands.”

 

“So it’s busted until…” Courtney says in this completely professional voice. It makes me giggle a little, but I hold it inside. I just don’t think I could ever be as serious as she is in my life.

 

The poor maintenance guy, Bill, his patch name tag says, is sweating like mad and runs his forearm over his forehead.

 

“Our electrician that deals with this kind of wiring is on call, so hopefully he’ll be here shortly.” He picks up his tool box and I wave at him and smile.

 

“Thanks.” He smiles back at me and walks through the open door of my dressing room, calling someone on his walky talky.

 

I grab a bottle of water from my dressing room counter and untwist the cap off, still sitting in front of the fan. I catch Courtney's eye as I tilt the bottle back. She's looking at me blankly and blinks, “You shouldn't stay in here with this heat.”

 

“Yeah," I sigh. "I just don’t want it to be a pain to try to tote all this shit to Justin’s room or another dressing room only to have the A/C miraculously work again and have to tote it back.”

 

“Stop stressing about it." She shrugs and pushes herself from where she was leaning against the counter and goes to her purse that's on the couch. "Just go hang out with Justin and I’ll work on this. You really don’t need to be in here in this heat when you have to perform tonight.”

 

I laugh. She sounds so concerned in that, non-friendly, semi-motherly, don't fuck this up way. “Ok Angie,” I laugh.

 

“What?”

 

I shake my head and push myself off the chair I was sitting in. “I swear sometimes you sound just like her.”

 

“Is that a bad thing?”

 

“No, not really." I start walking to the door, shaking my bottle of water as I go. I would normally grab my bag, but I took everything back to the bus after we figured out the A/C wasn’t working. I didn’t want any of my makeup melting. I look outside and Teddy is there leaning against the wall across from my door and talking on his cell phone. I make a face at him and then turn around and lean back into my room, "Hey, don’t stay trapped in here either.”

 

Courtney smiles a genuine smile at me, “I won’t.”

 

Those are rare, those genuine smiles from her. Having Megan down here for a few days showed me how different Courtney and I really are. I still want to be her friend, but I don’t think she wants to be mine. And I guess I have to deal with that. Maybe we shouldn’t be friends. Maybe this should just stay professional. I just don’t see how something can stay professional when you're with someone almost every second of the day, when you invest time and basically just put your life into their hands. It's like Teddy and me. The first day I met him, well, I had never met anyone like him before. He was a huge black guy from Oakland who had seen his daddy get shot in the head when he was a 10 year old boy. I was a peppy little white girl from the sticks of Georgia who had seen a deer get hit by her dad's truck. I was terrified of him for two hours.

Then somewhere along the way, sometime during that first day, I fell in love with him. I wouldn’t call Teddy my best friend or even a really close friend. It's more like this weird family thing. We rarely talk, we joke around a lot, but when we do really talk it usually turns into these amazing conversations. I know he cares about me, hell I think he loves me sometimes, and I love him. He’s the big brother I never ever had. And I trust him just as much as I trust my daddy and I know he’ll protect me just as good if not better than my daddy could.

And I just know that that'll never happen with Courtney. There will never be a family bond with her, because she doesn’t want it. And I can’t force that on her, even though I think you need that in this industry to really work, to really be able to have confidence in our assistant.

Of course, I considered Leah a part of my touring family. But Courtney isn’t Leah and no matter what’s happened in the past few months and whatever Justin's tried to make me see, I'm not going to believe it.

In fact, I'm starting to make him take back all the shit he's put her through. Courtney is not Leah and that’s that.


I look at Teddy and say quietly, "I'll be with Justin." He nods at me and continues to talk on his phone. He's talking in a low voice so that must be one of his girlfriends. I keep walking down the hallway down to Justin's dressing room, passing the dancers’ rooms and band rooms’ on the way. My flip-flops flap loudly on the tiles of the floor. When I get to Justin's room, the door is all but a few inches closed and I don't bother on knocking. He never knocks when he comes in my room.

He's sitting on the edge of the couch, leaned forward, staring at the TV. The screen is split so I know there is someone else in the room with him. I close the door lightly behind me and walk further. On the floor, on his back is Marty, lying by the dogs. Both boys have a controller in hand, both mouth's are slightly opened, and both have vacant looks in their eyes.

They're silly.

“Hey…” I say and lean against the arm of the couch. Marty doesn’t look at me. Justin doesn’t look at me. The dogs don’t even look at me.

 

After about 30 seconds, Justin turns his face towards me but keeps his eyes glued on the screen.

 

“Hey,” he says.

 

I bite my lip and knock off my flip flops. I slide down next to him, running my hand against his back just a bit, all the way down to the slither of skin showing from the bottom of his tight t-shirt to the waist of his jeans, where even his belt is doing little to hide the elastic of his striped boxers underneath. Boxers, hmm…he normally only wears those when he’s feeling really loose down there.

 

I smile and let my fingers slide against the skin.

 

“What cha playin?” I slur out a bit and curl my legs up on the couch, leaning back against him. With his body leaned forward so far and mine tilted slightly from my lean, his frame blocks the TV screen from my view and I stare at the back of his neck and his broad shoulders.

 

I get no response so I roll my eyes, move my hand from his skin and sit up. “Ohhhh k.”

 

I guess I could lay here and be ignored, or I could go find Abbie. I don’t normally mind it if Justin isn’t paying attention to me. But I do not want to be ignored. I’m fine with being quiet and just minding my own business. But this is ridiculous when I can’t really even get acknowledged.

 

I’m about to push myself off the couch, when Justin drops his cordless controller so it’s dangling from one hand and his other hand is on my thigh. He’s smiling at me now, straining, as if he knows he just made a mistake. “How was sound check?” he asks.

 

“Fine.” I smile inwardly and rest back fully on the couch when he leans back with me. This is all I wanted, him smiling at me. “Why’d they push yours back so late?”

 

“Hell if I know.” He shrugs and I guess Marty is pressing something on the screen because a menu of options is coming up and Justin’s not doing anything more than scratching his forehead. "I think after you got done they had a bust in one of the speakers."

 

“Damn, everything in this venue is messing up.” I laugh and smile down at the floor. “Or maybe you just wanted more time to let Marty kick your ass.”


Marty twists against the huge rug that covers the linoleum floor underneath to look up at me. He smiles wide and winks. “That’s what I’m sayin’ girl!”

 

Justin’s shoulder presses into mine and I look over and he’s close, pouting, but his eyes are smiling, “Why are you never on my team?”

 

“’Cause…” I say, and cross my arms over my chest.

 

He nudges me and mocks me quietly, “’Cause…”

 

I roll my eyes and he keeps nudging me, making me jerk one way and sling the other back against his shoulder, repeatedly. Soon my pout turns into a smile and when I look over he’s smiling and licking his lips.

 

God, he’s so good looking sometimes.

 

“Well…” We both whip our heads to the guy who’s now standing off the floor and stretching his back. He snaps back and nods at us, “I’m going to go.”

 

“You don’t have-” I start to say.

 

He smiles at us and waves, smirking at Justin just a bit. “Yeah I gotta make some calls.”

 

Our heads turn and watch as Marty leaves. The pups finally raise their heads from resting sleepily on their paws when he leaves. I kind of feel bad, and when he shuts the door behind him, I turn my head and stare at Justin. Marty didn’t have to leave.

 

His hand is high on my thigh and he’s got the smallest smile on his face. He looks directly at me. And even though I feel bad that Marty left like he did, I’m glad to be alone with my man.

 

It’s been a weird and rough couple of days. Justin and I have made up. We’ve been really good ever since he confronted me. We’ve been talking a lot, about all sorts of things; growing up, this business, my issues, his issues.

 

It was hard for me to say goodbye to my family. Really hard. I cried. I normally don’t cry that much. I mean I might tear up a little, but I didn’t want to let my momma go. I think I scared her a little.

 

But I was on the bus, in my bed with Justin holding me while I just cried as we drove up I-85. I chalked it up to just being home and this tour being hard on me and the whole pregnancy thing and my emotions just being completely exhausted. I guess that’s what it is. I don’t want to get burned out. That’s the last thing I want to do. I talked to Justin about it. He made me feel a lot better because he’s been doing this so long. He reassured me that while I might get burned out for a little bit, if I give myself enough breaks and vacation I’ll be itching to be back in the spotlight in no time. He said that’s what happens when you’re a performer. He said we’ll take a break together.

 

Sometimes I’m amazed by how much faith he has in me, more so than I do in myself sometimes.

 

I can feel it. I can see it in him. The change taking place. When we first went out it was all fun and giggles and sexy and stuff. But now, it’s so…it’s sooo serious and comfortable. It’s like, I know it’s not going anywhere. I can see that when I look at him. I don’t have any doubts about his feelings, that he might not need me or want to be with me.

 

I’ve wanted this feeling for so, so long and now that I have it, I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with it.

 

It kind of scares me.

 

And yet, I kind of like it. It’s more than being in love. It’s a lot more.

 

It’s funny how just a week or so ago I was hanging out with Megan, but so much other shit was going on I barely had time to talk to her, to really hang out with her. I’m glad we’ll be in the city in a week. I can hang out with her more then, just me and her. At least I hope. I need that. I need that constant in my life. I need to talk to her about…everything.

 

If I could, I’d bring her on the road with me. She could take pictures of all these awesome places and really spread out her portfolio. But I know she’s working now, got that awesome job in the city she pushed so hard to get.

 

I sigh when I feel a light kiss on my cheek and I snap out of my thoughts and say to him, “Do you have like a special signal you give your guy friends when I come in the room and you want to get up on me?”

 

His arm is around my shoulders, his hand still on my leg.

 

He leans in, nips at me, but doesn’t bite me and then completely pulls away, controller in hand, starting the game back up. “Who says I want to get up on you? I’m playing my game.”

 

“You suck.” I push at his shoulder.

 

“You want to play?” he asks me.

 

“No thanks, I’m not into shooting people.” I laugh a little and he doesn't play, but messes around with some buttons, changing some options, saving the game. I stare at the side of his face. He looks relaxed, easy, but there's been a wrinkle in his forehead for the past two days. And I know why it's there. I know he's baffled. I know it pissed him off. I know he wanted to freak out, lash out. I know he wanted to blame her, because she was the easy target. But he didn’t. He held it in.

And now that I see it, I'm not sure if holding it in is a good thing for him.

“Hey, I’m proud of you,” I say, taking a swig from my water bottle that’s still in my hand before putting it down on the floor by my flip flops.

His eyes look down at the floor for a minute and then he presses a button on the controller and the screen goes blank. “For what?”

 

“For not freaking out.” He still doesn't look at me and I know on the inside he really is freaking out.

 

Somehow, someway, they found out about my pregnancy scare. It was on the cover of US Weekly yesterday morning, a picture of me and Justin walking side by side with my hand on my stomach and the words in bright yellow, “Just A Scare?!” I wouldn't have even known if Angie hadn't called me and woken me and Justin up one morning. She asked to be put on speaker phone, told us she didn't care what we did in our private life, but that we had to be careful. Justin was pissed that someone who didn’t work for him, someone he barely knew, was telling him this. And I agree, it was a little out of line for her. But I think most of all he was pissed that the story had gotten out.

I had Monique buy the magazine for me and I read the article. I know I should have ignored it, but my curiosity got to me. It wasn’t really bad. It didn’t really say anything negative about us. It had some older pictures of us together, some on stage, some paparazzi pics; of course they used the one where I looked like utter shit for the cover. But the story was just about us partying real hard and having wild sex parties and me "almost getting pregnant" as they put it. Which I think is ridiculous, you're either pregnant or you’re not. There's no "almost" about it. And honestly, what they printed is not too far from the truth. I mean we don’t go around having random orgies, but we were partying a lot. There was a part about him never wanting children in there and quotes from him in the past saying that children would be way off in the distance for him, something he wasn’t ready for.

But it wasn't really a negative article. It didn’t say he controlled me or beat me or that I was some drug addict or that he was my "beard" for me and Megan as other people have claimed.

The part that got to me was the part where they said the pregnancy test I took was up for bid on eBay for thousands of dollars.

That's...just weird, whether it's really mine or not. Who in their right mind would pay for a pee stick!?

I guess there really are some psychopaths out there.

 

“Mere…” He sighs and leans back against the couch, looking bored, tired. He just stares at the blank TV.

 

“I know you want to freak. I know maybe you are inside." I curl up to him and touch his chest to see if he'll look at me. He does and it's a pitiful look and I hate that I brought this up again. "But thank you for trying to remain cool about it and not interrogating people or jumping to conclusions.”

 

“I guess, they just always do a pregnancy story with every couple, so…" He shrugs and slouches even further on the couch so his neck rests against the back of it. He closes his eyes. "It’s just a coincidence.”

 

“It’s kind of gross if it’s true.”

 

“What?” He opens his eyes.

 

“Selling the fucking test on eBay? I mean, it has my pee on it.” He doesn't respond. He just blinks at me. “Ok...”

 

“I just don’t want to talk about it. Is that ok?”

 

I nod. I need to stop pushing him. I don’t want him spazzing on me. And I don’t want to stress him out before the show tonight. “Yeah. Ok.”

 

After a long, quiet pause with his eyes closed and me just staring at him, wondering if he's just going to take a nap, he finally sighs and says, "I just, want to find out how it got out."

It baffles me for a moment because he was the one who just threw it off as a coincidence moments before, as something they do to every celebrity couple. Thinking about myself as a celebrity is a weird feeling. But I’m done with this conversation for now and clearly he is, too.

"Ok," I say.

He immediately opens his eyes and turns towards me. “What?”

 

“Nothing.” I shake my head and hope he can't tell how weird this moment is. I hope it’s not as awkward for him as it is for me.

It's not. His head is soon laying against me and I'm moving onto my back so he can lay over me a bit. His cheek presses into my breasts and he says, "Are you excited about seeing Megan in a few days?”

 

“Yes…" I smile to myself and run my fingers through the longer hair on top of his head, skimming my fingers down against the sides. "A bunch.”

 

He turns and presses his chin into my breast bone. He's smiling now, his eyes are shining, any worry that was on his face before has vanished. “I’m excited about being back in New York with you, where this started.”

 

“This?”

 

“Us." He kisses my skin above the neck of my tank and then scoots up so he's really laying on me, in between my legs, hovering over me. I get it now. He wants a little something before he goes to sound check. I start to giggle. "It wasn’t that long ago when you weren’t mine and I was just crushing on you.”

 

I latch my arms around his neck and pull him down to kiss me. And he kisses me slowly, searching...it feels sooo good. When he pulls back to start kissing against my neck, I ask quietly, “You’re riding with me tonight, right?”

 

“If you want me to.” He smiles against my skin and I tilt my head to the side, curl my fingers in his short hair, and close my eyes as his tongue licks me there. Why is he doing this now? I know we're going to be interrupted. I know he's going to have to leave soon. I bite my lip as he presses into me down there. He's almost completely hard. If he doesn’t get a release before show time that means he's going to be a naughty tease on stage. And I'll have to spend almost two hours waiting for him, watching him, being turned on by every note he sings and every move he makes. I'll have to wait until we can get back alone on the bus.

 

Sometimes it's so hot afterwards. Sometimes we're both just too tired to do anything and we pass out. Sometimes we both shower after, but the times that are the best are when we don’t shower, when we're both gross and sweaty and he pulls me back to one of our buses and we kiss and pull off our clothes rapidly. He'll fuck me hard and fast and for a long, long time. We’ll still be on a high from the show, still have the adrenaline running through us. Sometimes we'll be wild. Sometimes I'll ride him, sometimes I'll let him bend me over in half. Sometimes we cuss at each other and say dirty things.

But after, always after we don’t say a word. We’ll lay on the bed naked, sweaty and out of breath with only the sheet over us. And we’ll just pass out with smiles on our faces.

I want that with him, I want that with him for as long as I can.

 

I sigh when he slides over me a little and hovers above to look down at me with lazy eyes. I smile up at him, “Well I’ll ride with you. I want to snuggle with you and the pups.”

 

He looks over his shoulder. They are still sleeping on the floor. Well Buck's not. Buck's staring at us with his head on the floor. He likes to watch us. He's a freak. I almost laugh when Justin turns back around and pouts, “Do you love them more than me?”

 

“Sometimes," I giggle. "But you don’t poop in the grass.”

 

He sticks his tongue out at me. “I would if I could…”

 

“Ewww Justin.” I smack his shoulder and he just laughs and laughs, rolling and vibrating above me until her leans his head down against my shoulder.

 

“Lord girl," he drawls out and I smile. "I’m still thinking about how BeeDee scared the shit out of me at your house.”

 

“I love my doggie.” I laugh and think back on it. It was that morning after we had slept in my bed. We were naked with the covers over us and we both woke up with a start when my mom knocked on the door and said, "get up you two." She didn’t sneak in the door or anything, but I guess she had cracked it open to call into us because about the time Justin had calmed himself down, scared that my mom or dad were going to come in and see us naked, he had sighed and pulled me into his chest, and BeeDee, in all her 70 pound glory, had jumped up on my bed, right onto Justin.

I almost peed myself when Justin jumped up and said, "OH GOD," which sent Beedee into a barking fit and made her run out of the room. So much for a guard dog.

He starts laughing again with my giggles and then I feel his hands move down to my sides and before I can stop him, he's got me and is tickling me. I squeal and hit at him and he just laughs and laughs until my leg jerks and I almost kick him in his crotch.

 

He stops, stares at me wide eyed and says quietly, "Be careful girl, that's my special area."

I tease him as he pulls his arms around me and moves us so we're on our sides, his back to the back of the couch, staring at each other. "I know. I like your special area."

He gives me an extremely flirty look, lowered eyelids, a smirk and his hand skims under my tank up on my side, touching my skin. His lips touch mine softly and he pulls on them with his own, tugs them with his teeth and sucks my bottom lip lightly into his mouth.

 

Fuck...

 

Our legs tangle while we make out for a moment. His hands are up the back of my tank top and I'm leaning into him, kissing him, hugging onto his middle. We have time, right? Please say we have time.

Something nudges my ass and when I look over both dogs are up, staring at us. Buck's tongue is hanging out and Brennan has her nose stuck into the crevice between the couch pillows.

 

“Shit," he says, and when I look back over him he's got his arm up in the air and is staring at his watch. Shit is right. We don't have time. I frown. "I gotta be at sound check soon. They said it should be fixed by 4:30.”

 

I sigh, the idea of him leaving me right now is a sucky one and I pout for a moment. “You sure you don’t want me to come real quick and check with you on our songs?”

 

“Nah girl," he runs his hands through my hair and then pushes himself up over me and off the couch and around the dogs. "I’m sure it’ll be cool.”


His hand goes down into his jeans for a moment and he adjusts himself just before the door halfway opens and Trace leans in. "Hey, J..." He eyes me laying on the couch as I resituate my tank and then looks at Justin and says softly, "They're ready for you.”

 

“Yeah, I know. I’m coming.”

 

I sit up off the couch and yawn. I look down to pull on my shorts that were riding up and realize my nipples are poking through my top. Great.

The dogs are over smelling Trace now and he asks, “They need to be walked?”

 

“Can I help?” I ask. I guess I just don't want to be alone right now. The more time I'm alone the more time I'm going to be thinking about what we were just doing, what we could have been doing, and that's not fun when you are alone. And I guess since Courtney and I haven't really talked much about anything lately, I kind of want to know how everything is going with Trace and her and stuff.


Trace shrugs. “Yeah, sure.” I push myself off the couch and Justin touches my back for a moment and says "bye" softly. He grabs a bottle of water from a table in his room filled with snacks and walks past Trace without saying anything. Uh oh, please don’t tell me they're fighting again.


I watch him get the leashes and hook them up to the collars and he lets me walk Bren and we follow him and Buck through the hallway, out, weaving our way past people and hallways and rooms until we exit through some double doors outside. There are people smoking there and a small patch of grass. Trace didn't bring any baggies with him so I hope the venue doesn't get mad when we don’t pick up after the dogs.

I let Bren walk off and explore the grass a little bit. Buck is excited, his tail is whipping through the air and he's smelling everything. Trace is having to move a bit so he doesn’t get tangled in the leash.

I stare off into space a little bit and wish I had brought my sunglasses out here. It's bright and two of the venue crew are over by the wall, smoking cigarettes and just staring at me.

“Soooo, what’s up?”

 

I snap my head to Trace and shrug. “Nothing.”

 

He half smiles. “Come on Mere, why you helping me with the dogs?”

 

“Can’t I just want to help out and spend time with my buddy?” He tips his hat back a little and looks at me incredulously. “Hey! Don’t make me seem like a little snarky weeb!”

 

He laughs out loud but keeps staring right at me, challenging me. “But you don’t want to talk to me about something?”

 

“Well..." I sigh and look down at the grass. "I just wanted to see how you were doing, ya know with Courtney..." I pause and look at him out of the corner of my eye. He's still staring at me. "And Justin and everything. I just, I don’t want you to feel like you’re being left out.”

 

“I’m not," he says quickly. "We’re all doing good.”

 

“Good.”

 

His blank face breaks into a smile. “Thanks mom.”

 

I chew on my lip a little bit. Dammit, he's too good at this. He’s still staring at me with his eyebrows raised as if he knows I got more to ask. I guess I should just let out with it.

 

“So, yesterday morning, when he saw that article, did he really freak out and he’s just hiding it from me?”

 

Trace shakes his head. “He didn’t say a word to me about it.”

 

I sigh heavily and run a hand over my face. “Which means he’s freaking out and hiding it.”

 

“Well, honestly, I’d freak out, too. I don’t get how you can stay so calm about this stuff.”

 

I laugh lightly, even though it's not really funny. “Well I am freaked someone’s going to buy my used pregnancy test online. That’s…gross and weird. Hopefully no one buys it, hopefully it’s a fake.”

 

It's quiet for a moment and Trace steps a little closer and says quietly, “I just hope he doesn’t think it was her.”

 

“It was probably a maid, ya know?” I say, trying to reassure him. I need him to know that I don’t blame her either. And I need to make sure Justin doesn’t blame her.

 

Everything was fine and doing well and then this story came out and I just, I don’t want anything fucking up the slight harmony we all had. He was hanging out with Trace again, they were being buddies again and Courtney and him weren't always so uptight with each other. I mean they didn’t sit there and have a deep conversation, but they didn’t glare at each other across the room.

 

“You should sue that hotel,” Trace says, smirking.

 

“I’m too nice. Plus, it’s not their fault I was an idiot and thought I was pregnant.”

 

His smirk fades and he looks at me seriously, “You’re not an idiot, Mere.”

 

“Yeah…” Sometimes I think I really am. I mean, I know it's ridiculous. I’m this hot little singer, right? I should be super confident in all I do. But I can't help it if I sometimes get down on myself. I used to not be this bad, and I hate to say this, but sometimes I think it might be Courtney who makes me think this way. Not that she does intentionally, but sometimes when I do stuff and she looks at me it just makes me feel so childish and dumb. Like I'm some annoying, bratty, air headed little bitch or something.

 

Like she’s my babysitter instead of my assistant.

I know I'm just being too sensitive. Maybe I'm getting my period. That's ridiculous. When I went to the doctor the other day she said I need to make sure I eat more protein and get more sleep and take a multivitamin. She said my body just skipped a period, but I should be on track for my next one just fine if I'm taking my birth control regularly. I should probably get that birth control shot, but now with Courtney asking me every morning if I took my medicine, I guess it's not necessary. Justin asks sometimes, too.

 

“So have they fixed your A/C, yet?”

 

“No, they’re calling the electrician. I hope they do. It just seems like a hassle because they’ve already moved everything in there. I mean I can use Justin’s or my dancer’s room. I just think it’s a waste of people’s time when they set it up all nice and I can’t even use it.”

 

“You’re sweet.” He smiles and it throws me off guard. If I wasn’t with Justin and he wasn’t with Courtney, I'd be certain he was flirting with me.

 

“What?”

 

“You just..." He shakes his head a little. "You still really do think about the people that work around you. That doesn’t happen much. Hell, Justin doesn’t do that. I know he’s not doing it on purpose. You just get in this lifestyle where you are so concerned about performing you forget all the other people that make the little stuff possible.”

 

“You make him seem like a diva,” I say defensively.

 

“Well…" Trace shrugs and laughs. "He kind of is.”

 

I nod in agreement, but I don’t think Justin means to be that way. When he gets in work mode, he kind of puts blinders up to anything or anyone else and it can make him seem a little conceited.

 

“How's the fashion world?” I ask, trying to change the subject.

 

“Fabulous,” he says with a lisp and it makes me giggle. He stuffs his hand down in his back pocket and pulls out a box of cigarettes and a lighter. “You mind if I smoke?”

 

“No, just blow away from me please.” I grin and he nods, pulling out a cigarette and trying to light up all the while holding onto the leash.

 

“I told Courtney I was quitting with her, but dammit the past few weeks I just…”

 

I smile. “I won’t tell.”

 

“She can smell it on me. She’s a smart girl.”

 

“Yeah she is." I watch Trace smoke for moment and then look down at Brennan who has parked her butt right beside me and is just looking around. She reminds me of BeeDee and I like her a lot, even though Buckley is fun as hell and has more personality than any other dog I've ever met. He's still twisting himself around Trace. I smile at him. I guess if I was a dog I'd be Buckley and Courtney would be Brennan. God, I'm weird. "Can I ask you something?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

I suck in a breath and look up at Trace. “Does she like working with me? I mean, I know we don’t see eye to eye on, well, most things, and I know we’re very different, but she’s not miserable, is she?”

 

“She’s been a lot happier now that Justin has stopped giving her death stares.”

 

“Good,” I say, even though he didn’t really answer my question. “Sometimes I wonder if this is the right place for her. Like, I think she wants this opportunity and I think it’s good for her, but I think this just isn’t her life. Maybe she wants it to be, and I think she’s a great PA, but maybe something more stationary would suit her better.”

 

A worried, inquisitive look covers his face and his eyes are narrowed at me slightly. It's sweet how protective he is over her. “What are you saying?”

 

I laugh a little and hope he can't tell I'm faking when I say, “I’m saying we all need a vacation, badly.” I need to find time to talk to her about it, to ask her if this is really what she wants to do. She says she does, she says this is where she dreamed of being, traveling and stuff, but...when I look at her I just feel like she hates it so much. That it annoys her. Maybe that's just her. Maybe she just is never going to seem overly happy about anything. I just don’t want to feel like she’s stuck with me if she doesn’t like it.

Sometimes I wish she'd be more like me. I guess that's a horrible thing to say. I just, I try to have fun in life, and yeah, I fuck up a lot, but she is just so cautious about everything that it seems to keep her from having any fun. I hope Trace makes her happy. I've seen it in her face a few times, happiness, a genuine smile, hell, sometimes she can even be girly. But every time she is, she ends up pulling herself back, she stops before she gets too into it, she closes off.

It's like she's purposefully being rigid and stern.

 

“There’s only a couple weeks left,” he says.

 

“It’s flown.”

 

He nods. “It always does. Especially these shorter tours. It’s the long ones that eat you up and make you feel like it will never end and then when you get done you realize the last few months of your life are all just a flash.”

 

“Yeah…” I can't think of anything right now. My mind is too clouded.

 

“What are you doing after this?” he asks.

 

“Honestly, I don’t know. I mean, I know Justin has to promote and he’ll probably do a big ass tour all over the world. I mean, my album is still selling well, but his is going to be huge. And I know it’s a girly thing to try to figure out what he’s doing compared to what I’m doing. But…it’s not just dating anymore, ya know? And I’ve never done the long distance thing.”

 

“You can make it work if you have to. He’s good at it. If he has to, he’ll run himself thin just to make it work.”

 

I shake my head. “But I don’t want him to do that.”

 

“I know you don’t, girl. I’m just saying he’s done it before.”

 

“Well, apparently it didn’t work since he’s with me now and not them.” I shrug and look down at Brennan again. She looks up at me and is smiling. I take that back. Courtney isn't Brennan because she doesn’t smile enough. Brennan never stresses about anything. She just loves Justin and I think she's starting to love me. And she likes to play fetch, and she's always good and brings it back to you. You play it with Buckley and he'll destroy whatever you throw and then bring it back to you shredded.

 

“True…very true. But don’t worry, ok? You know his ass would miss you too much and he’ll be first class flying you all over the world just to see him.”

 

“So, if you are going to be busy doing the clothing line, who’s going to be his assistant?” His eyes immediately shift to the ground and he takes a long drag from his cigarette, shuffling his feet a little. I open my mouth and then shut it. Trace, not Justin's assistant? That'd be weird. “Oh…I see.”

 

“We just, we’ll talk about it later. Right now it isn’t a worry. He’s going to take a month off anyway and then promote like hell. The line, if it’s launched, won’t be done until later in the year.”

 

“He’ll support you, Trace. You know that, right? I mean of course you do. You know him better than I do. Just, don’t think that this weirdness that’s gone on with everyone the past month affected how proud he is to have you as his friend and how much he cares for you.”

 

“Meredith, really…” I can tell he wants me to shut up, but I have to say this to him. I feel like I should, not that I’m obligated to, but because ever since I started dating Justin, the two of them have been on a downward slope. And I know Justin still cares. I can see it in his face.

 

“Look, I know I’m a fucking cheese ball, sap head, but seriously. He’ll support you. I know he was an ass about Courtney. I know he’s been weird about stuff, but this…he’s proud of you for it.”

 

Trace only nods for a moment and then says, “We should take the dogs back in.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

After a moment of getting the dogs together and him putting out his cigarette, I follow him back into the arena, which seems a lot cooler and darker than it is outside. The dogs trot along nicely and obediently.

 

And I can’t shut off my mind.

 

My hopes were that having those few moments with Trace would relax me a little bit about this whole situation.

 

But now I’ve said too much. I have too many questions, and whether it’s his fault or mine doesn’t matter. I just know that it’s going to be awkward. I said too much about Courtney and he said too much about himself. And now, now I don’t know what to think.

 

I thought the whole drama of me thinking I was pregnant chilled everyone out. It made Justin stop spazzing. He started hanging out with Trace again, Courtney and him were civil, everyone seemed happy.

 

But now I know. I know that was a lie. Nothing’s changed at all, everyone just hid it for a few days, and if this keeps up, something bad is going to happen.

 

And they can’t expect me to always be the peace maker.

 

 

Chapter 38 by Mere
Author's Notes:
Soooo sorry about the delay you guys. My editor was swamped with school and life and all sorts of things.  Thanks for being patient.

 

Hallway outside of dressing rooms, 11:02 p.m.

The rush and spectacle of a slightly sweaty, scantily clad pop star with a robe over her shoulders, a bottle of water in her hand and a crew of people around her engulfs me.  I become part of the crew.  I walk behind Teddy and her and a few other security members down the hallway and into her dressing room.  It's still hot in here, but not as bad.  I don't think they've got the heat working yet. 

 

Everyone fans out, finding a seat, finding some water, dotting themselves around the room.

 

And in the center is Meredith.  She immediately sits on the couch, gulps on her water and then looks up at us with a smile. "Yay, done!"

Shanda plops down beside her and they toast water bottles, "You guys were killing it tonight."

"Thanks!"  She leans and nudges her head against Shanda’s shoulder before Shanda gets up.  Abbie and Monique have already showered and changed from Mere’s earlier set and came to watch a little bit of Justin’s with us.  They’re now back here dancing and singing some song that is on the radio in Meredith’s dressing room.

 

I’m just here, waiting for my instructions.

 

"Hey Court..."  I’m starting to get used to this, to reading her well.  But I guess after almost three months I should be able to read her well.  And it probably shouldn’t have taken me this long.

"Hmm?"

She stretches her arms over her head and then shrugs off the robe.  I know why.  The A/C is not fixed yet, and there are several people in here.  It’s getting stuffy. "I'm probably riding with Justin tonight."

"Ok."  I nod and manage a smile. 

 

I guess I’m getting over it, all the drama and bull shit.  I guess part of me understands.

 

I mean, it was totally uncalled for, but I get it.  Justin needed someone to blame for all the drama he had going on in his life.  It was easier for him to blame someone else than to let it go.  And unfortunately, since I was new, since I wasn’t a part of the circle yet, I got targeted.

 

It’s like Trace has told me—Justin’s selective on who he lets near him, who he lets inside.  Trust is something that’s hard to gain from him.  In no way do I excuse him, but I guess now that he’s stopped being an asshole to me, now that I’ve had a week to calm down and be stress free for the most part, I’ve been able to look at the situation with a clearer head.

 

And it’s not that we’re best buds now, but…he’s civil, more than he has to be.  Like today, at the show, after Meredith had finished her set and he had started his. Mere was done with her duets with him, just had five songs to wait until she danced with him for Lovestoned.  And I was down there, behind the stage with Mere. Trace was there with Justin.  He came up as the band started to crescendo his music and he high fived Mere, high fived Marty, high fived Trace and then high fived me. 

 

Me…

 

I was suddenly included.  I was part of the group. 

 

And ever since I’ve been smiling.

 

Trace and I actually agreed to stay out there.  We stood to the side and back of the stage, but we listened to the music and yelled at each other in a conversation over the echoing speakers.  We’ve started doing this lately.  Tonight was actually the second time I’ve sat out here with him and watched the show, well as much as you can watch it from over the drummer’s and keyboarder’s heads.  He always brings a bottle of Jack Daniels out with him and he always convinces me to take a couple sips.  I make sure to not even get buzzed because I know a lot of times when Mere gets off stage she needs me to do things.

 

Sometimes she just wants me to kick everyone out.  Sometimes she wants me to order food.  Sometimes she wants to chill out and watch a movie…with as many people as I can conjure up. Sometimes she wants to just hang out with me.  And a few times, when she’s still really hyped up, she’ll change quickly and go finish watching Justin’s last few songs.

 

She’s never in the same mood after a show. It seems like every performance she does puts her in different spectrums, but no matter where she is, or how she did on stage, she always comes off with a smile and a happy attitude; just sometimes she’s wilder and sometimes she’s calmer.  Sometimes she’s more excited and sometimes she’s more tired.

 

So things are better, but they aren’t great. 

 

There is a rift.  I can see it and sense it, and it’s between Trace and Justin.  And any thought or reason I had before to think that it was my fault, I now realize was a lie and was my own self-doubt.  Maybe Justin used it, used me as the reason.  Maybe even Trace used me as a point to jump off at.

 

But this rift between them started a long time ago, before I even spoke to anyone in this circle of people.

 

I think both of them need a break from each other.  They’re burnt out with each other.

 

I think Trace is damn tired of playing second fiddle to all of Justin’s success.  I think he wants some of his own.

 

He deserves some of his own.

 

Meredith is in front of me by the counter in an instant.  Pulling up her large duffel bag onto the empty space where her food and drinks would have been if the A/C had been fixed.  She shuffles through it and pulls out a hair tie and tugs her hair back behind her in a messy ponytail.  “I'm gonna go sleep there soon."

"Alright.  You need anything?"

"No.”  She shakes her head and pulls out some capri stretch pants and a t-shirt.  “But thanks."

"Alright, well I'm gonna go..." I say, grabbing my purse, but she’s already turned around, ignoring me and is swaying her hips and singing with the rest of the crew in here as she walks towards the bathroom with her clothes. 

 

I used to get mad at her when she did this.  I thought she was being a bitch.  But I realize now that her attention span for a good hour or two after she’s been on stage is nothing.  It’s like she gets automatic ADD.  And she can’t help it.

I glance at Teddy who’s rolling his eyes at the girls’ spectacle and I brush past him and move out into the hallway.  I hear a buzz inside my purse and fish down into my bag to find my phone.

 

It’s lit up with “Trace.”  My smile widens, I press a button and lift the device to my ear.


"Why are you calling?” I laugh, assuming he’s still out in the venue.  “Can you even hear me?"

"I'm on my way back," he says and it’s surprisingly clear over the line.

"You're not watching the entire set?"

"It's not like I haven’t seen it a bazillion times.”  He chuckles over the line and then his voice quiets and lowers, “Plus, you are looking really, really sexy and I kind of want alone time with you."

"Alone time?" I bite my lip and press my back against the wall.  I know what he means, but I want to hear him say it.

His voice is a breath, a hurried whisper, "I wanna fuck you, Courtney."

I feel my body start to crave him and I turn and walk fast down the hallway, looking for the corridor that I know is there. "Shit, Trace..."

"I'm being honest.  Can't I be honest?"  he teases.

"Just hold on...." I’m out of breath and it’s not from my quick steps. I side step into the corridor and breathe, smile and say to him, "Ok, now continue..."

I just can’t have anyone seeing me getting all flustered out in that busy hallway.


"We'll have to be quick,” Trace says. “J's only got like 30 minutes left of the show.  You think you're up for it?"

I smirk a little and say into the phone, "Are you up for it?"

We’ve been flirty lately, and it’s been good.  Ever since we made up after the pregnancy thing, we’ve been well, bluntly, having a lot of sex.  We’ve been spending a lot of time together.  I can’t really say we’ve grown.  I mean we’re happier together.  We don’t fight and I’m fine with that.  I don’t want to push this and I don’t expect us to suddenly be in love or anything.

 

I’m looking at this realistically as possible.  I don’t know what will happen once the tour is over.  Trace has mentioned wanting to go back to Tennessee for a while and he hasn’t said a word about taking me with him.  For now, I’m having fun with him.  We’re together.

 

But I’m trying my best not to expect much from him.

 

Maybe that’s the wrong attitude.  Maybe you should expect everything from your boyfriend.  Maybe you should idolize him like Meredith does Justin.

 

I frown and lean a bit to look down the main hallway when he asks, “Damn girl...where are you at?" 

 

He’s not there.  Meredith’s door is open and her and Teddy and the rest of her crew are there laughing and talking.  They’re loud and I can almost hear every word they are saying even with the drowned noise of the concert above me.

"I'm in the hallways. Meredith is going back to Justin's bus to stay for the night.  Where do you want to meet?"

He sighs, "I have to get the dogs.  Just meet me at Justin's dressing room and we'll discuss place...and position then."

"Position, huh?"  He’s such a dirty bastard and I love it.  He’s dirty as hell during foreplay, but during sex he’s often quiet.  He’ll kiss and smile and smirk, but it’s like he wants to hear it….

 

I squeeze my legs together.

"We should do something we've never done before."

God, he’s gotta stop talking to me like this. "Like..."

"You've never let me do you from behind."

I gulp and blink.  God, I’m not…I mean it’s not that I’m not that type of girl or that I’m scared to do it.  But it’s just been a while since I’ve been adventurous in the bedroom.  Hell, I’m not sure I ever have been adventurous.  He makes me want to be, though.  "Trace..."

I guess I play the shy card like most girls.  I can’t let him know I’m as eager as him to do doggy style. 


"Are you against it or something?  You think it degrades women?"  He laughs.

"No…” I drag out and realize I’m even being shy in my body position, curling into myself.  God I’m pathetic sometimes.  “I just..."

He laughs. "Don't get shy on me now, girl. I know how much you want me. I can hear it in your voice.  I'll see ya in a few."

 

The call ends and I slip my phone back in my purse.  I look down the hallway again and it’s empty towards Meredith’s room. The door is shut and when I look the other way, her group of people are walking towards the exit end of the hallway.  I guess she and her dancers are going to the buses.

 

I guess I’m off for the night then.  I smile.  Freedom with Trace.

 

I turn and walk the few feet towards Justin’s room.  I hope his dogs don’t bark at me.  They don’t normally, but once or twice they have and it scared the shit out of me.  He probably trained them to do that.

 

"Excuse me ma'am...”  I hear and I look up to see another one of the maintenance guys in his uniform, staring at me. He has a tool belt and a little box with him.  Damn, how many hours have passed?  We should complain to the venue administration.  I’ll pass that by Angie tomorrow morning when I call.  “I'm here to fix a unit in a..."

"Oh yeah, took you a while, huh?"  I come across much more bitchy than I mean to.  I meant to be half joking and then I realize I’m narrowing my eyes at him.  Dammit Courtney, chill out.

"I'm sorry ma'am.” The poor guy looks half scared of me and shrugs apologetically.  “I did not get the work order until an hour ago."

"It's the third door on your left." I point down the hallway. 

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."  I say, trying to be more chipper with my tone.  Oh fuck it.  What’s it matter.  I’ll never see him again.  I’ll never see most of these people again.  Meredith cares a lot about what people think of her and she has a reason to.  If she has an attitude the person who sees it or gets the end of it might tell a tabloid, might make a story.  But I’m different, no one’s gonna write up a story about me.

 

And when your staff is slacking, like this staff, they deserve to be told on.

 

I shouldn’t let it bother me.  If it is in the morning, I’ll call Angie and tell her to complain.

 

I open the door to Justin’s room and both dogs look up at me.  Buckley starts barking, but as soon as I pet his head he starts smelling and licking my hand.  I sit on the couch and rub his head for him as he sniffs me.  I can’t believe anyone in their right mind would have two dogs as big as they are traveling around with him, cooped up in dressing rooms and tour buses and hotel rooms.  I know Trace tries to take them out and the dogs love Justin more than anything, but it just seems like a really bold thing to do.

 

But at the same time I guess Justin’s not the type of guy to let go of an idea once it gets in his head.  That’s for damn sure.

 

Brennan picks her head up and looks waitingly at the door.  I’m surprised how well she can hear with all the noise out there. I guess she’s just that used to Trace’s scent and sound of feet, ‘cause sure enough, a moment later the door quietly opens, shuts, and I’m met with a sly smile and bright brown eyes.

 

Buckley’s tail starts thumping against the couch, but Trace shoos him away, leans over me, kisses me, using his tongue and his lips.  Damn he really can kiss.  He pulls away and smiles, “Hello.”

 

“Why Hello.”

 

“I locked the door.”

 

I laugh when he touches my shoulder gently and moves me so my back is against the bottom of the couch.  He leans over me, slides over me and smiles down at me now that he’s lying almost on top of me. 

 

His hat is on his head still, covering his damned mohawk, but he’s letting it grow out now.  Thank god.  I never try to be superficial in dating someone, but I was shocked when he shaved it like that. It took me a couple days to get used to it, but I held that in.

 

He smiles and leans in to kiss me again, his body resting down, his weight settling into mine.  I grasp his shoulders and moan into his mouth. He tastes like smooth whiskey. God he really does feel good on me.

 

I can feel his hand pulling at my shirt, trying to untuck it from my pants and belt.  He does it expertly.  I’ve always been amazed by how good he is at this, how quick and easy he can be.  How he can distract me easily with his mouth so that I don’t notice his hand going up my shirt.

 

Shit, his hand is up my shirt.  I pluck his hat off and toss it to the floor so I can run my hand through his hair.  I pull his mouth from mine by gripping his short hair and his mouth immediately goes to my neck.

 

My eyes roll back in my head.

 

“Shit Trace...”  I say as he starts grinding into me. I look over and Buckley is staring at us.  It creeps me out for a moment but when Trace’s warm fingers go underneath my bra, I forget the damned dog.   I didn’t expect it this fast.  I figured he’d shit around with me first, but he’s not. He’s going straight for it.  He’s always shocking me like this.  He’s more spontaneous than I ever have been and I like it.

 

It keeps me on my toes.  It makes me live.

 

And of course, spontaneously I feel a buzz vibrating against my thigh and we both jump and look down.  He sighs, pulls away, his hand sliding away, his lips, too. He plops down on the couch when I pull up my knees and feet.

 

That’s one thing I can always depend on, though.  He always, always answers his phone no matter what he’s doing.  Or what we’re doing.

I sigh and listen to the first bit of conversation, but can’t really figure out who it is.  It must be family or something.  He gets up and walks over to the snacks that Justin has sprawled on a counter.  I watch him stare at them and pick at them, before I turn back and stare at Brennan who is nudging my feet with her wet nose.  Buckley is still sitting there, staring at me, panting.

 

I wonder if that dumb dog watches Mere and Justin.  Please, I bet Justin kicks him out.  He’s probably too afraid the dog will sell a story to a tabloid.  That’s mean.  I know it is.  I shouldn’t think those things.  He’s been nice to me lately.

 

But still, I bet it’s true.

 

He turns back around and smiles at me for a second and then walks towards me, so I start listening to his end of the conversation. "Yeah, uh huh.  Sure.  Well that's what happens when you're stupid.  I know, I know...” He sits down on the couch laughing lightly.  “Alright talk to you later."

He ends the call and lifts his hips to slide the phone back in his pocket.


"Who was that?"  I ask after a moment.

"My sister."

"Everything good?" I ask.

He’s staring at the floor and he starts to smile and before I know it, he’s on top of me again, laying in between my bent knees this time.  "Everything's very good..."

"Damn Trace, here?”  I say. He’s rotating his hips and the look in his face is one that says “now”.  I nod over towards the floor.  “With the dogs...in his room?"

"No…”  He smirks.  God, what a fucking tease.  “I'm just playing with you first..."

 

His lips go back to my neck and I sigh and hold onto him as he kisses me.  I can’t wait to start this with him back home.  I mean, we had all that tension in New York, and Miami and LA, and we’ve only been together since the tour and I wonder if it’ll be different when we’re back home, when I have my place and he has his, and we don’t have to sneak around or worry who might catch us in the act. 

 

“I can’t wait until after the tour’s over and we can play at home.”

 

Suddenly he stops kissing, stops pushing, and he freezes against me.  I swallow hard and turn my head to try and look at him.  “Trace?”

 

“Courtney…”  He pushes off of me again and sits up on the couch.

 

What just happened?

 

“What is it?” I ask, looking at him as he sits normally on the couch, leaning his elbows on his knees.

 

“Are you happy?” He asks after a moment and turns to stare at me.

 

“What are you talking about?”  I’m lost.

 

“Here.  On tour.”

 

What?  What is he talking about?  Who told him I wasn’t happy?  I am! I’m with him.  I’m happy.  “Of course I am.”

 

“With Meredith?”

 

I shake my head.  He’s making no sense. “Trace?”

 

“It’s just…” He pauses and leans back against the couch.  He raises his hand for a moment then lets it fall down against his jeans.  “I had this conversation with her this afternoon and she seems to think you don’t like it.”

 

“What…”  What the hell?  Why was she talking to him about me? 

 

“And I think she’s right.” I blink and open my mouth to stare at him.  This…this makes no sense.  I’m happy. I like my job.  It’s not always perfect but no job is supposed to be.  I get stressed and annoyed but that just happens.  It’s normal. 

 

He continues, “Look, I don’t think she’s going to fire you.”  

 

I sit up straight and lean forward.  Fire me!?  What…what the hell!

 

“Stop it.” He leans forward and grabs one of my hands.  “Don’t freak out.  That’s not what the conversation was about.  You know Meredith, I don’t think she could fire anyone.  I just think she’s concerned because she wants you to enjoy your tasks and your job.  She wants you to be happy, whether it’s promo in New York, a tour life, or just going shopping with her.  And I think it’s a genuine concern.”

 

I finally allow myself to breathe. I relax my shoulders and turn so that I’m sitting properly on the couch. I still have my shoes on.  We were making out with shoes on.  Normally I’d laugh.  But  now…now he’s talking about things and I don’t know how to act. How to feel.  I don’t even know what to say. 

 

“I’m happy Trace.  I like my job.”

 

“Then maybe you should show that to her.”

 

I scoff for a second.  I’m not going to go around and wear a god damn sign that says I love my job.  I’m not.  It’s fine.  I’m fine.  Where is this coming from!? “Trace, I’m not like that.  I’m not just going to go around giddy as hell.”

 

“Well you know Meredith.  She’s the type of girl that needs that type of gratification.  If you don’t look like you are having fun, she’s going to assume you aren’t.”

 

I shake my head at him and then turn to him. “I really don’t want to talk about this…”  I glare.  “…now.”  He should know better than to just stop us in the middle of doing that, of making out, and start talking about serious shit.

 

We don’t talk about serious shit.  We make out, we have sex, we laugh together, talk about random things.  But…this…this is too much.

 

“I didn’t mean to stop it, Courtney.  I just, I worry about you. I know me and you are having fun, and we’re taking the emotional part of our relationship at a slow pace, but I know this stresses you out.  I know, even though you act like you don’t care what people think about you, it gets to you when people don’t accept you or include you.” 

 

I roll my eyes.  This is pathetic.  I don’t want to have this conversation about my weaknesses or my insecurities. Or how I should be a bubbly little girl to make people like me.  “It’s not that she doesn’t think you are good at your job, Courtney.  I think she likes you a lot and she loves what you have done for her, but she’s concerned about you really being happy with her, with this lifestyle.  She wants you to be happy.”

 

“Why?  Why does she care Trace!  I’m her assistant, not her friend.  She shouldn’t care whether I’m happier here or there, or if I worry about what people think of me.  She should be concerned with herself and her career, that’s it.”

 

“But she’s not.  And she does care.” 

 

Why is he suddenly on her side of everything?  I don’t get this.  I don’t even know where this is coming from and he’s trying to get me to admit that I want to leave or something, or that I should suddenly be bff with Meredith.  This makes no sense. 

 

“She likes you.  She wants you to be her friend.  Whether it’s feasible or not, she’s the type of girl that wants to be friends with everyone, especially people she has to work so closely with.  But you put up that wall, you act like you and her could never be close.”

 

“Trace, really.  You don’t know what you are talking about.”  He doesn’t.  Yeah, we hang out.  Yeah, occasionally Meredith and I will have fun together.  But I’ve said it before, we just don’t have compatible personalities for the friendship route.  Maybe Trace has just been doing this with his best friend too long. He thinks you have to be best friends for this to work.  Well it has worked, and I’m not close to Meredith.

 

And that’s that.

 

He says softly, “You’re more alike than you want to think.  You just put up walls.  You hide that part of you that’s like Meredith.  And I’m not accusing you or blaming…”

 

“Yes you are!”  I shout.

 

“Dammit Courtney!”  He says when I cross my arms over my chest.  I stare at the dogs who have now gone to sleep on the floor, bored with our conversation about as much as I am.  “I just want you to be happy, too.”

 

“I am happy, with you…”  I look at him.  “…here.”

 

He turns towards me and looks at me seriously.  It makes me feel very uncomfortable.

 

“Well what happens when we get back to LA, and I stop being Justin’s assistant and Meredith goes on tour overseas.  Courtney, I’m not always going to be around to keep you sane.”

 

“’You drive me insane most days.”  I half smile.

 

“You know what I mean.”  He doesn’t smile.   “Just, be honest with me.  Is this, this lifestyle, being with a bubbly sometimes absentminded girl every day the way you want to live?  Do you like not having a home half of the year?”

 

He…dammit.  Why can he read me so well?  And I get it now.  He seems to know the fun I have with Meredith is when he’s around, too.  I’m happy because of him.  Dammit, I’m doing it again.  I’m dependant on a man for my happiness again.  And he’s worried and I should be, too, of what will happen when he stops being Justin’s PA, when Meredith and him do any promo together.  When I go off with Meredith somewhere overseas with her and he’s back in LA, will I be able to handle all this shit when he’s not around?

 

I hope I can.  But…but who knows.

 

And I hate to admit that my moods with this job have highly depended on my relationship with Trace. 

 

Dammit.

 

I like my job.  It is very different from what I thought it would be.  And night after night, venue after venue, it does get boring, and half the time I don’t even know what I’m doing or where I’m at.  I don’t mind helping Meredith, I know a lot of times she needs me.  But sometimes I feel so useless.  Most of the time I feel like a nuisance. 

 

“I thought I would.  But…Trace…”

 

“It’s not everyone’s type of life, Court.  Even if you think that’s the type of life you want, something non-stationary, something different, but touring is monotone half the time.  Yeah you travel, but you have no time to go anywhere or see anything.  It’s not the dream life everyone makes it out to be.”

 

I pinch the bridge of my nose and then rub my forehead.  I’m getting a headache.  I know he’s trying to help.  I know he’s the type of guy that wants to work things out if he can.  But dammit I was having a great day, a great night.  And now…now I’m stressed out.  Now I’m going to have to talk to Meredith, which I know will turn into her asking me questions and begging me to hang out with her and all this other stuff.  And I’ll get a little annoyed and go vent to Trace and…

 

Shit.  I probably shouldn’t be annoyed.

 

I suck in a breath and say, “And you have helped, being here.  Sometimes I really wonder if you weren’t here, if it was just Meredith and her boyfriend who hated me, if I’d be able to handle it.  Sometimes I wonder even if Justin wasn’t around, if I’d be able to handle it.  I think I would be able to more so.  But I don’t know…”

 

Dammit and now he’s put this stuff in my brain and it won’t stop.  I keep thinking.  Maybe I should quit.  I’m sure Meredith would recommend me.  Or maybe I could get an office job in LA.  Trace could help, not that I want any handouts.  I could get a job easy out here. 

 

Easy.

 

I’d be more stable.  Be on my own.  I am on my own.

 

Maybe I should stop thinking.

 

I stare at him for a moment and he opens his mouth, pauses and then says, “I’m quitting as Justin’s PA.  I know you’ve heard me talk about it, but it’s official.  I haven’t really told him, but he knows.  I think he might have even already asked Rachel to take over for me.  And I don’t want to persuade you to do anything because of me.  I’m not…we’re not…I’m not that type of guy, and our relationship isn’t that deep yet.  It might be one day.  But there’s a lot of blur there and you know it.  And I know you do.  I know you think about it as much as I do, about what happens in two weeks when all this is over with.”

 

I sigh and he slides closer to me, leans in and kisses my cheek and says, “You need to do what’s going to be best for you.  What’s going to make you happy.  That’s what I gotta do.  I’ve had the best time of my life with Justin these past few years, but now I gotta move on.”

 

I don’t look at him.  I close my eyes and shake my head. “I’m not a quitter Trace.”

 

“I’m not saying you should quit.  I’m saying you need to decide if this is the job and the life you thought it was when you first started.  And if it’s not, you need to decide if this is what you want.”

 

I lean forward and run my hands through my hair.  “Why did you bring this up?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

I sigh.  I don’t want him to feel bad about this.  I know he’s trying to help.  He’s always trying to help.

 

“No, no…you’re right.  I should think about it.  And Meredith’s right too, I should be happy in my job.  I should like my job and people should know it, they should never doubt it.  And she doesn’t need to have any doubt in her PA.  And I don’t give her enough credit.”

 

“I don’t think most people do.”  His hand is on my thigh and I look up at him. “I didn’t mean to ruin this…”

 

I push these thoughs away for now.  I need to forget this for a moment, for a night.  I lean forward and kiss him and smile for him, even though my mind is working in overdrive.

 

“You didn’t.”

 

“Why don’t we go get on whichever bus we’re…”

 

I kiss him again and smile against his lips, “Mere’s.”

 

“Why don’t we go and lay down and we can keep talking about this?  Or we can kiss and forget it for now.”

 

“I want to kiss….and everything else.”

 

He smiles close to me where I’m leaning into him.  He kisses my nose for a second and then pulls back and says, “Ok, I’ll meet you there.”

 

I stand up with him and grab my purse as I start to walk to the door.

 

“I’m gonna go put the dogs on Justin’s bus and get them settled in.  He should be done any minute now.” He stands up, picks his hat up off the floor and walks towards me.  He touches my chin and asks, “Are you ok?”

 

I sigh. “Yeah, I’m--” 

 

I cut off my speech when I hear yelling out in the hallway and stomped feet.  I swing open the door and a rush of people, two men in yellow venue security shirts are rushing down the hallway.  I follow them with my eyes and step out.  Trace does, too and I see it.

 

Teddy is knocking his shoulder into Meredith’s dressing room door.  My eyes widen. Trace clutches my arm as Teddy busts open the door.  We somehow walk the 20 feet or so down the hallway and a second later I see Teddy storming out with a guy. 

 

Oh god…that guy, the electrician! Teddy’s hands are fisted in his shirt as he forces him backwards and slams him against the wall.

 

Shit…

 

I clutch onto Trace and whisper, “What’s goin-”

 

“Who the fuck are you?” Teddy spits out in the guys face.  The guy is crying. Terrified. “How did you get in there!”  Teddy shouts.

 

The guy swallows and his eyes search around.  Suddenly, I’m being pointed at.  Suddenly, his eyes behind his thick glasses are staring at me, focused on me.  And suddenly, everyone else is looking right at me.  “Sh-she let me in.”

 

I step back and shake my head, Trace’s grip is still on me, tighter this time and while everyone looks at me, I look at them.

 

Then, then, oh god, then my eyes land on a face, a face I never want to see again.  There he is, done with his show, surrounded by security, down the hallway from me, a few feet above where Teddy is.

 

And he’s staring right at me.

Chapter 39 by Mere
Author's Notes:
I couldn't keep you guys waiting long :)  thanks for all the support and comments.  You really do not know how much it means.

 

Outside Meredith’s dressing room, 11:45 p.m.

I stop at the commotion, at security guards barreling towards me.  I stop so harshly that my sneakers squeak against the floor.  I was walking down the hallway, looking down at my feet, guided by Tiny and Eric and a couple other people behind me, and I was thinking about the show, about my girl, and what she'd want to do now that we had a night on the bus.  I was smiling to myself, thinking about her.  Then I heard noise, over the echoing screams of the crowd above me.

 

I looked up. 


Uncertainty and confusion came first, fear second.  But fear stays.
 
Teddy's beating against the door, breaking it down.  I can’t move.  I stop.  Everything just stops.  Then my mind starts turning and turning, faster and faster and I feel myself breathe deep, harsh. I can feel my heart start to pound violently in my chest.

 

Tiny stays with me, hand against my shoulder. I don’t know if he’s holding me back or protecting me.  But I know I can’t move.  I can’t fucking move. There's a look in Teddy's face, a look of determination, anger and fear…fear.  God damn fear! Why, why is he afraid?  That makes me afraid.  

Why does it have to be her room?

Eric and everyone else rush forward to help when Teddy's shoulder forces open the door. I blink as they block my sight.

 

I don’t have time to think or to process this.  I can't grab onto one single thought.

I open my mouth, trying to find the words to say, "What’s going on".  But it's too late and Teddy slams some guy against the wall, a maintenance guy, and I feel my knees go weak. 

 

I…I…


An image enters my mind of what is really going on and I feel panicked.  I feel small.
 

"Where’s Meredith…?"  I don't know if I really say it, if I shout it or whisper it.  But it's all I can think of right now.

 

I stare at the open door in front of me to my right.  No one’s going in and no one’s going out.

 

“Who the fuck are you?” Teddy spits out in the guy’s face.  The guy is crying. Terrified.

I feel sick and wince at the words Teddy yells.

“How did you get in there!”

 

The guy swallows and his eyes search around.  Suddenly, his hand juts out and he points.  I follow his arm to his fingers and his fingers straight to who he’s pointing at.

 

“Sh-she let me in.”

 

I stare right at her and feel my anger build as her gaze locks with mine.  She’s shaking her head, “no.” But I don’t care.  I don’t care what she says.  I don't care what anyone says. 

 

I lose it. Completely.  

I can't stop myself, I don’t even want to stop myself. I step forward.  I have the nerve to push at Teddy’s shoulder, to try to move him out of the way, even though he doesn’t budge.  I need to get at this…this…whoever this is.  He is a thing, nothing more.  A pathetic little thing.

 

“What did you DO to her?”  I yell.  He curls back from me, afraid of me.  He should be afraid.

 

“Justin…Justin…”  I hear people call me, pushing at me, but I gotta get to him.  I have to get rid of him.  I don’t know what’s happened.  All I know is that everyone's angry, everyone's scared and he's against a wall.

 

“Nothing, I was just fixing the unit.  I was just fixing.”  He is crying, tears and snot down his face, and I want to punch it in. I don’t want to look at it. 

 

“Justin…”  I hear again and someone’s pulling me back this time, has got their arms around me. 

 

I hear Trace say close to me, “Stop it.  Go in there and check on your girl.”  I’m pulled around, twisted forcefully and pushed, and then I'm staring right into the room.

 

And I see her.

 

I forget everything and everyone else.

 

I step blindly into the room like a drunk man, stumbling.  Marty’s there.  Thank God Marty’s there standing right beside her.  She’s leaning against the counter, staring at the floor blankly and Marty’s not touching her, just standing beside her, looking at her.

 

He glances at me and I hear him say softly, “Look. Justin’s here.”

 

She doesn’t look up. She doesn't move.  She doesn't even blink.  My heart starts to break and I don't even know why.  I don’t know what’s happened to her, if anything, or if everything.  And...and I'm not sure I want to know.

 

He leaves, gets up and walks past me, patting me on the arm. 

 

I turn to watch him go and he closes the door behind him.  It's silent, stuffy, yet I'm covered in chills.

 

I look back around and she’s staring right at me.  Big, huge, watery brown eyes staring right into mine.

 

I feel like since we met I’ve seen this look on her face more than I should, this lost, scared look.  I saw it when we first met, I saw it when I hurt her in Miami, I saw it when the paparazzi came to her house, I saw it when she got sick on stage, and I saw it the other week in Atlanta.   But now it’s really there.  It’s not half-hidden, it’s not masked by a joke or a smile.  It’s not something that can be fixed with a small kiss or a laugh or a touch of her shoulder.

 

It’s so much more this time.

 

She’s lost.

 

“Meredith…”  I lose my voice in that one word.  It’s gone, hoarse and haggard is how I sound.

 

“I’m ok.” She says quickly, quietly.

 

I walk towards her and find my breath gone, my voice only a harsh whisper, “What happened?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

She looks at the floor and I step in front of her and say, “God dammit Meredith.”

 

A tear slips from her right eye and then another from her left.  I have to be strong for this, for her, and despite my desire to stay in the dark, I have to know what happened.  She looks ok. I mean, she doesn’t look injured.  Please tell me she’s not hurt.

 

Please…

 

I won’t know what to do if, if he…

 

“He...He came to fix the unit.  I wasn’t supposed to be in here.  But I was and he…he got excited.”

 

“Did he touch you?”  I ask.

 

“He…he…”  I feel my throat close when she won’t look at me, when she covers her face with her hands.

 

I pull at her wrists and can feel her shaking.  I can feel her fingers grasp at mine and hold onto me, trying to hold me tight but failing.  Her hands twitch in mine and when she looks at me, I suddenly feel sick.  I feel my stomach drop, I feel my throat cave in, “Dammit Meredith, did he touch you?”

 

“He tried to.”  She sniffs.  And I can’t handle it. I feel like I might fall down.  This, this shit isn’t supposed to happen.  Not to us. Not to her.  Not to her.   I wrap myself around her and she holds me so tight, tighter than she ever did with that Leah shit, or with those assholes taking pictures at her house, or when she had her scare.  This…this is different.  She’s never letting go.  And I don’t want her to.  I want her to stay right here so I can keep her and protect her.

 

God damn, this shit isn’t supposed to happen to her. 

 

I press my cheek into her head and keep myself from showing too much emotion with her.  I have to be the strong one.  I have to sit here with her right now and be with her and do whatever she needs me to.  I can’t go beat the life out of that…that creature outside, ‘cause he’s not a fucking person.  I can’t go cry to Tiny or Trace.  I can’t freak out.  I have to just, just, just be with her.

 

And even though I want to go do those other things, I need to be with her right now.  She’s keeping me level.  She’s keeping me from losing it. 

 

I hold her so tight, I try to pull her inside my chest.  If I could I’d put her inside of me and hold her there.  When I was young I did that when my grandma’s old cat had kittens, I’d take the runt, the small weak one and put it against my chest and button up a shirt or jacket over it and carry it around all day.  I’d hold it and keep it protected until it started mewing.  I’d hold it until its little claws would dig in my t-shirt, and his barely opened eyes would search around for its mother.  I’d hold it until it bit my thumb when I tried to pet it and I’d hold it until it fell back asleep against me, warm and tiny, and  soft…just like Mere.

 

I’m not a cat person at all, but back then, being 7 years old, I felt like I was such a good boy, such a good person. I was protecting that kitten, I was holding it, it was all I knew how to do at the time.

 

It’s still all I know how to do for her now. 

 

I keep holding her.

 

“Let’s sit down…”  I whisper and pull away a bit to bring her to the couch.

 

“Not there,” she says, and when I look at her, she looks terrified of the couch, as if it’s possessed or that it’s going to hurt her.

 

I lose my control for a second and touch her face, forcing her to finally look me right in the eyes, “Baby…”

 

I hold her cheek and she closes her eyes and turns her face into my hand a little before turning back to look at me.

 

“He…”  Her lip trembles as she talks and she starts crying more.  I shouldn’t have pushed.  Damn Justin, just leave her alone, she’s not a fucking kitten, she won’t just go back to sleep. “I was laying down, listening to my iPod and I had my eyes closed and it was up loud and I couldn’t hear until the couch moved.  And I thought it was you and I smiled, but it didn’t smell like you after a concert and I know I hadn’t fallen asleep yet and I know not enough time had passed for you to shower and, and I looked up and…and it wasn’t you.”

 

I feel my head spin.  I thought he didn’t touch her.  She said he didn’t touch her. 

 

“He got on top of you?”

 

“He tried.  I pushed him off and screamed for Teddy.”

 

Please say that’s it.

 

Dear God, please say that’s all that happened to her. “And that’s...”

 

“And he grabbed my leg.”  I think I might seriously throw up.  And I think she might, too.  She’s getting paler and shaking with each word, her voice going from quiet to loud and panicky. “And tried to pull me down. And…and he pinned me down on the floor and all I could hear was the door banging and I knew he had locked it.  And I, I didn’t know what was going to happen, I was trying to kick him, but I started feeling really weak.  Teddy was there before anything could happen, before he could get on top of me.  He…he was gone and Marty was in here pulling me up and looking at me.”

 

I move to hold onto the counter and close my eyes. “Meredith…”

 

I feel her arms around me and her head against my chest and she’s holding onto me again, so, so tight.  “Don’t let me go…”

 

I gulp down what feels like my entire insides backing up to be spewed out at my throat.  I gulp that down, the fear and the panic.  I force it back deep into me and put my arms around her again.

 

“I just…”  She says into my sweaty shirt.  “It was warm and cozy in here so I just decided to lie down.  I didn’t think it’d be a big deal.  I mean I did tell Courtney I was going to your bus to sleep, but I didn’t tell her I had left yet.”

 

I don’t want to hear that name.  I don’t want her on my mind right now.  I don’t want to start that process of blame, even though I have to stop myself, to just concentrate on Meredith. Still, it slips out a bit.  “She shouldn’t have…”

 

“I don’t wanna talk about that.  I just…I just…”  She shakes her head and I see her.  I see her break down.  I see her really crying.  Until this point it had been slightly contained to a few big tears and a couple sniffles.  It takes over now, she starts wailing out to me.  She starts hyperventilating.  She’s loud and I can’t tell if she’s even crying or just letting out some demon feeling that she has.  I realize that in this moment she’s now realizing what happened to her.  What…what, God…what could have happened to her.

 

She literally breaks down, crying and sobbing and clutching at me, leaning over me, hitting me even, saying things that make no sense, crying harder than I’ve ever seen a woman cry. 

 

I hold her face and kiss her head, trying to stop this insanity from choking her.  She looks like she’s choking.  And it doesn’t work, nothing works and I can’t stand it.

 

“Shh, I’ve got you.” I say, trying to convince myself that I do have her, that she’s not slipping away from me, that I didn’t almost lose her.  I wrap her up in me, I hold her and pull her down with me to the floor.  I pull her into my lap and don’t let her go.  She curls into a ball against me and cries into my neck, holding me there, rubbing her closed eyes against me there, moaning.    She seems so small right now, so lost. She curls up tight, trying to stick her socked feet underneath my thigh, literally curled up against me as tight as possible. 

 

“I’m not gonna let anything happen to you Meredith, nothing.”

 

“But it almost did.”  She says pitifully.

 

“Shh….” I shush her, partly because I don’t want to hear it.  I don’t want to hear what could have happened to her.  I’m trying to barricade those thoughts from surging into my brain right now.  I have to. 

 

She pulls back a little and looks at me, pleading with me, “I don’t want to have to deal with this right now.  I don’t.”

 

I shake my head and say at her, running my hand over her hair, “We don’t have to.”

 

“Don’t leave me.”  She bites her lip and curls into me again, clutching my shirt.  I’m still so very sweaty, but I’m freezing, freezing in this fucking room with no fucking air.  She holds onto the open ends of my button down shirt, her tears are staining my sweaty tank underneath. 

 

“I’m not going anywhere,” I say.  I wish I could say or do more, but I’m lost right now.  Holding her is the only thing keeping me together.  Sitting on this floor with her is all I have right now.  It’s the only thing that makes sense.  Her and me, together, my hands through her hair and her wrapped up against me.  I know now, here with us, nothing can happen to her.  I won’t let it.

 

“Hey.”

 

I feel her jump and I look up and see Trace has cracked open the door and is leaning in it, staring at us. 

 

“They...”  He looks nervous and licks his lips as he says, “Everyone’s down waiting for police in the main lobby area.  They got 5 venue guards on him and Teddy and Eric and some of the other guys are there, too.  Tiny’s right here, ok?”  He points outside the door.  “He’s not leaving until you guys come out, ok?”

 

“Thanks.”  I try to smile at him but it doesn’t work.  So I just nod.

 

“If you guys wanna slip to the bus now you…”

 

I widen my eyes a little and say his name softly, “Trace…”

 

He gets me.  He can read me.  And he knows right now I just gotta deal with this.  I appreciate him trying to help right now.  But…but I just gotta do this my way, and do this slow.  She’s not ready to go out there yet.  She’s not ready to stand up and let go of me.

 

“Ok.” He says and shuts the door.

 

I run my hand down her arm to where her hand is and I hold it.  God she really is so small against me right now.  It’s something I always liked about her.  I like small women, I like how they fit against me and feel against me.  But right now she feels too small, too thin and frail, like an old woman.  But she’s not old and she looks up at me, her face red and tired. She leans against my shoulder and just stares up at me.  She’s calmed down a bit.

 

She sniffs and says softly, “How was your set?”

 

“It was good.  You totally revved up the crowd for me.” I say watching her close her eyes when I run my hand over her hair.  It’s like the damned kittens when I’d pet them and their eyes would slowly close.  I hate that she’s that helpless right now.  If I have to though, I’ll carry her out of here and I’ll hold her against me all night.  “I think they were excited because of you.”

 

“I need a shower.”  Her voice is blank and I wish she’d look at me instead of having her eyes closed and moving her head so that’s it’s bowed into my chest.

 

“You don’t smell funky,” I say to lighten the mood.

 

“That’s not why I…”

 

I immediately save myself from it, from her having to explain why she wants a shower.  I get it as soon as she opens her mouth and I don’t want to hear it.  I pull her back in my arms a little and look at her, smiling, trying my best to show her it’s genuine.  “What if we go get on my bus and we squeeze into my little shower and I’ll wash you and hold you.  And then we lay in bed with the dogs.  And we can invite Teddy or Tiny in if it’ll make you feel safe.”

 

She breathes out a slight laugh and her lips pull up for a moment, showing her teeth, smiling just a moment, “That’d be so awkward.”

 

“There’s my smile.”  I say to her and kiss her cheek. Tension in my body seems to slightly fade away at her small smile.  And I finally feel like I can catch my breath.

 

I love her.  God, I love her. 

 

I don’t want to go out there.  Not only because I know she’s not ready, even though she’s calmed down, but damn if that fuck is out there.  I…I’m not sure what I’ll do.

 

In less than two weeks, two fucking weeks, the tour will be over, we have a break and I’m taking her away.  I’m taking her far away and I’m going to show her how much she means to me.  I’m going to prove her worth to me. 

 

If…if something had happened, I don’t know what I would have done.

 

“I didn’t even have time to be scared,” she says suddenly.  Her tears have almost dried, her nose is red and she’s still in my lap, but not leaning against me as much. She holds one of my hands in both of hers against her thigh and plays with my fingers and rubs her thumb over my knuckles.  “All I thought when I saw him was my heart was beating so hard and I knew I had to get out but I wasn’t scared.  I wasn’t scared until Teddy got him away and Marty was helping me up. I didn’t have time to be scared when he was near me.”

 

I suck in a breath and say for her, “There’s no reason to be scared, baby.  They’re taking care of it.  And I know that, that…it shouldn’t have gotten that far, but they’re never gonna be too far away, they’re gonna protect you, Teddy and Tiny and Eric and everyone will always protect you.”

 

She shakes her head and looks at me with a look of pure worry and fear, “But what if he wanted to hurt me?  What if he had ya know, a gun?   What if he didn’t want to just kiss me?  That’s what he said Justin…he kept saying he just wanted to kiss…”

 

I bite my lip and swallow to try to keep myself from crying.  All I can do so she can’t see me lose it is pull her around me and hold her. “Fuck baby...I’m…I’m so sorry.”  Her arm wraps around my neck and stays like that.

 

I feel her sigh against my skin and it’s shaky.  Shit she’s starting to shake again.  At least she’s not crying.  But I hate that she has to go through this.  I hate that this happened to her.  And I’m going to make sure it doesn’t happen again.  I don’t know how but, I will.

 

My ass is asleep and my legs are and I don’t care.  I don’t care.  I lean my head back against the cabinets we’re resting against and close my eyes for a moment. I’m suddenly so exhausted, so tired of thinking about all this.  I don’t even know how long it’s been, a few minutes, an hour…

 

“Meredith…”

 

I open my eyes to feel her pulling away from me.  When I look up, Teddy is inside the doorway. 

 

“Teddy…”  She says and her voice cracks and she scrambles up away from me and walks over towards him.

 

She crashes herself into his body and he holds her tight.  I push myself up off the floor, finding it hard to stand.  “Shh girl, are you ok?”

 

“Yeah.”  She nods against him and sniffles.  I hold onto the counter again and stare at them.

 

He pulls back, holds her shoulders and bends down to look at her level, “I know, I know this is the last thing you want to do right now, but the police are here and they need to get your statement and then that will be it. I’ll make sure they don’t interrogate you.  I’ll be right by you. You just gotta tell them what happened and then we’ll get you on the bus and we’ll get out of here, ok?”

 

She nods and crosses her arms over her chest as if she’s cold.

 

“Do they need me?”  I ask.

 

“No, but…” Teddy nods me over.  “Come with us.”

 

I follow them out into the hallway.  Tiny is in a small chair by the door on his phone and he stands up when he sees us, ends the call and walks behind me.  Teddy walks in front of me and keeps a hand on Meredith’s back as she walks close to him.  Shanda is walking up the hallway and stops me with a panicked look on her face.

 

She points into the dressing room, “I’m gonna get all her stuff that’s in here and take it to one of the buses, ok?”

 

“You can bring it to mine.  Thanks Shanda.”

 

She sucks in a breath, “Is she ok?”

 

I shrug. “Ok as she can be.”

 

“Justin.” I hear and turn and see Meredith looking at me with those damned big eyes.

 

“I’m coming.”  I say and jog up to her, sliding my hand down her arm and weaving her fingers with mine as Teddy walks beside us down the hallway.  “Shanda’s gonna get all your stuff for you.”

 

She nods and leans into me.  I kiss her head and continue walking with her down the hallway.

 

It takes a while, an hour, longer than it should.  She shouldn’t have to go through this, she shouldn’t have to be questioned for an hour.  Luckily they took the bitch in a cop car as soon as they got here, arrested him right then, and took him to the station before Meredith and I got down here.  I'm glad.  She shouldn't ever have to look at him again.  And I’m not sure what I would have done if I had to see him again. Two cops are left, taking statements.

I stare at my girl as she sits in a chair beside Teddy.  He has his arm around her and I'm glad that she has someone beside her, protecting her right now, since I have to just stand over here against the wall, out of the way. Staring, since I can’t be near, since they don’t need me.  They got the female cop to take her statement, too and I was glad about that as well.  She's older, looks like a mother or something.

 

I’m sure Meredith is more comfortable talking to her about this than the young male cop who’s been questioning everyone else.

I sigh and scratch my chest.  I'm itchy and dirty and need to shower still.  I'm still in my damned stage clothes.  I can’t wait to get on the bus and leave this damned place.  I’m going to make a point never to book here again.

 

Yeah, that’s not fair to the venue, but I can’t stand it and there’s no way I’m going to let myself or Meredith come back to a place where the maintenance workers are psychos. 

“Look…”

 

I close my eyes when I hear it, when his voice comes from beside me.   I was so into my thoughts, I didn’t even hear him come and stand beside me against the wall.  But I don’t look at him now, I keep staring at my girl, making sure she's ok.  “Not now Trace.”

 

“Please just concentrate on Meredith before you go around blaming…”

 

I bite my lip so I don’t yell at him.  He can't be serious right now.  I turn and look at him dead on and he stops his speech.  He looks frustrated and worried.  He should be, but he shouldn’t be coming up here scolding me when I haven’t done anything or said anything to anyone. 

 

“What does it look like I’m doing?  I’m not an idiot.”

 

“I was with her all tonight.”

 

“Stop it!"  I say loudly.  I know he means well.  I get it, he fucking cares about that bitch.  But right now I need to keep my focus on Meredith and him coming here and defending his little girlfriend’s honor, when she fucked up, is bull shit.  "I don’t need to hear this right now. You want me to concentrate on Meredith, then stop telling me your shit.”

 

“Dammit! I’m just…” He runs his hand over his face and I roll my eyes a little bit.

 

“I know what you are doing, and right now you know this is the last thing I need to be dealing with.  You’re right.  I don’t need to be thinking about what your girlfriend did or didn’t do.  I need to be thinking about Meredith, so just don’t mention her ok?”

 

It's quiet.  And he knows he's in the wrong right now.  I can see sorry written all over his face.  I know, I fucking know I can be an asshole.  But right now I don’t have time to play nice.  I don’t have the energy to show him concern about Courtney.  Right now I'm trying my best to wait as patiently as possible, so I can get my girl and get out of this fucking city.  I can worry about blame and guilt later.

I hear him suck in a deep breath and after a moment he says quietly, “Is she ok?”

 

I lick my dry lips and feel my voice falter when I say, “She’s really shaken up." I blink and watch her as she stares at the police woman and nods at her like she's being lectured, like she's in trouble.  God girl, you did nothing wrong.  "And she’s holding a lot of it in.”

 

“I already set the dogs up on your bus with James.  Do you want me to ride with you guys?”

 

“No, we’re ok." I realize that this is going to take time.  Not just tonight, but the next few days are gonna be rough.  God damn, its going to be rough.  But she’s strong.  I know she is.  She’s stronger than anyone realizes, more than I realize most of the time.  Maybe it won’t be that bad.  Maybe we’ll be ok.

 

I just need to make sure I'm here for my girl with no distractions.  I turn to Trace and ask, "Do I have anything scheduled tomorrow?”

 

“One or two radio interviews.”

 

I turn back to look at Meredith and say, “Cancel them.  And anything Meredith has tell Courtney to cancel them.  She…we don’t need to have any questions asked about this yet, ok?”

 

“I got cha.  I’ve called Johnny.  He talked to Tiny for a good bit and he says call him when you can. I think he’s going to be in contact with Meredith’s manager tonight or tomorrow.” 

 

It's quiet.  Teddy's on the phone now and the police are having Meredith sign something.  I let out a deep breath and I really hope this ends soon.  I look around the room for a moment and see Courtney standing up on the other side of the room with the male police officer.  She's talking with her hands and seems to be on the defensive.  I make myself not look at her.  I can't do this right now.  I just can’t.

“Are you ok?”  I hear Trace say softly.

 

“I’m…"  I swallow the lump in my throat.  And I know he knows I'm bull shitting.  "I’m fine.”

 

“Justin.” 

 

He wants to be there for me now.  He wants to be my best friend, he wants me to freak out and he wants to be my little savior right now.  He wants to make it better.  Like he has so many other times.  He wants to lock up in a room and watch Clint Eastwood westerns and drink Jack Daniels and totally block out everything.  But he can’t right now. 

 

‘Cause I'm not what matters. 

 

“I don’t have time to freak out right now, Trace."  I point across the room to Meredith who's now on the phone.  She's curled up in the chair, leaning against Teddy and I don’t know who's she's talking to.  Probably Angie or her parents.  God, her father will flip. "That girl right there is my number one priority above anything else right now.”

 

“Ok.”  He says.  And it’s silent again.

 

You always think you are untouchable.  That shit can’t happen to you.  You drive down the road never thinking anyone will ever run into you.  You walk down the street thinking no one will mug you.  And me, and probably her, think that even more so than just regular people.  ‘Cause we’re protected.  Sure people follow us, want pictures of us, say shit about us.  But they can’t touch us.

 

They aren’t supposed to touch us.

 

They aren’t supposed to touch her.  And to think that another man, some other person tried to take her from me.  To know some sick, twisted man went that far as to…to…get on…

 

I feel someone touch my shoulder and I jerk and look down.  Trace is looking at me with a worried look and I realize I’m breathing hard and my heart feels like it’s beating in my ears. 

 

"Hey..."  I jump at her voice and turn back quickly to see her a few feet from me.  She still looks so pale and lost.  I exhale and reach for her hand and bring her closer to me.

 

She can’t leave me.

"Hey Trace..."  She says shyly and he waves at her and sticks out his tongue.  She smiles weakly in return and looks at me.  She opens her mouth slowly, but when her words come out they are rushed and quick.   "They don't need me anymore right now.  I talked to Angie and she's talking about a restraining order, but we don’t know what the charges will be against that guy yet, so I don’t..."

It’s too much for either of us to deal with right now and I touch her face and cut her off, "Let's just go get on the bus, ok?"

She exhales just like I did when she first came over here and nods, "Ok."

I don’t look back as I hold her hand and this time Tiny walks in front of us, Teddy walks behind.  The night air jolts me even though it’s not cold.  But it’s breezy.  It actually feels good.

 

James is waiting for us on the bus and the pups are excited and riled up when we get on.  Teddy and Tiny immediately sit down and rest.  Meredith goes straight to the back and pats the bed so Brennan will get up and lay with her.  Buckley jumps up, too and pants at me and then jumps down and barks at me and looks up at me.  I pet him and try to calm him down.  I take off my button down shirt and slip off my shoes. 

 

She’s lying there limply on my bed, running her hand over Brennan’s neck and staring at her.

 

I lean down against the bed and pull her socks off her feet.  The cotton is dirty from walking around the venue with no shoes and walking outside on the gravel.  She didn’t even fucking put shoes on.  I throw the socks in the waste bin in the corner of the crowded room. 

 

I come over on the side of the bed she’s facing and sit down and look at her.  She’s still just staring at the dog, she looks so tired.

 

"They're sleeping with us right?" she asks.

"If you want."  I say and her eyes move to mine.

 

“I don’t even know how to act Justin.  Like, part of me is just relieved.”  She turns on her back and runs her hands over her face before letting them fall by her sides.  “And part of me is screaming at me to freak out and be scared.  And another part of me is saying, hey nothing happened so just get over it.  I don’t even know how I’m supposed to be feeling right now.  And now with you here with me and the pups and the guys outside I’m really not scared.  I feel jittery, like when you see a earthworm squirming on cement.”  She laughs a little and shakes her shoulders like she has chills and then looks off to the side.  “But maybe I should be more freaked out than I am.”

 

“Meredith…” I pat Brennan and she moves down to the foot of the bed like a good girl.  I lie down beside my girl on my stomach and kiss her cheek. “You’re freaking out, you just don’t realize it.  I think you’re just, you’ve processed it, you’ve dealt with it and we’re leaving it behind.  But you were panicked an hour ago.”

 

“You were, too.”  I don’t look at her.  She knows me too well and even when I hide it and try to show her that I can be strong for her, she sees right through me. 

 

I lean my head down against her collar and relax when she pulls me against her, her arms around my shoulders. 

 

“I love you so much,” I say.

 

I feel her hands on the sides of my head and she pulls me up so I’m looking down at her.  “I’m ok.  I’m gonna be ok and you are, too.”

 

“I know,” I say quietly.

 

She kisses me. 

 

And it makes everything go away for that one moment.  She doesn’t deepen it and she doesn’t get wild with it.  She just kisses me, simply and purely, and pulls back and stares at me.

 

She’s amazing.  No matter what happens to her.  No matter what I put her through, what other people put her through, no matter if she’s betrayed or hurt or put in danger, she doesn’t lose the brightness in her eyes.  And her smile always comes back.

 

Everyday I fall harder.  Everyday I need her more. 

 

Everyday I realize I’ll go crazy if she leaves me.

 

And I’ll go crazy if she gets hurt again.

 

I can’t let her get hurt again.

 

“You want go to take that shower you were talking about?”

 

I smile at her and kiss her briefly again. “Ok.”

 

We stand up and I close the door to the bedroom after waving goodnight to Teddy and Tiny. 

 

“I don’t think we’ll both fit in there,” she says, smiling.  She’s fucking smiling and she’s beautiful.

 

“We’re both string beans.”  I laugh and watch her take off her tank top.  “I’m sure we’ll make it work.”

 

We undress quickly and quietly and she waits, standing there naked while I crouch in the small bathroom and try to get the water good for her.  It tends to run a little hotter than she likes it.

 

Soon I’m pulling her in with me.  The light is dim in my bus bathroom and the partition between the sink and the shower is awkward and takes a moment for me to close all the way.  She leans against me and I hold my arms around her.  There’s no where else for them to go.  We’re crammed and pressed against each other and the wall.

 

We don’t kiss, we don’t even grab the bottle of shampoo or the bar or soap.  I just hold her and hold her and let her lean her back against me. 

 

She turns after a few minutes, and hugs me back.  I feel her lips against my chest and she nuzzles her nose against my neck.  She feels so good, so good naked against me.

 

And as much as I tried to pretend that this entire night, this whole time I’ve been holding her was for her safety, for her security, I realize now that she’s fine on her own.  She’ll be ok no matter what.  But I’m the one that needs her against me.  I’m the one that feels safer when I’m holding her.

 

It’s selfish and I don’t care.

 

I just need her.

 

I won’t let it happen again.  I’ll be damned sure about that.  And as I lean against the shower wall and hold her against me, knowing that the bus doesn’t have that much hot water, knowing we’ll have to get out very soon, I know that I’m going to stop this.

 

I’m not going to do it tonight, or tomorrow.  I’m going to wait until I’m clear about it.

 

All I have is a point and a guilty face.  Whether she intended for this to happen or not, Courtney Dawson almost got Meredith seriously hurt tonight.  She acts like she cares about Meredith, yet she treats her like a child.  She complains that no one likes her, and yet the one person who wants her friendship more than anything, she ignores and doesn’t want to hang out with.  If she makes Trace so god damn happy, why does he seem more stressed and depressed than I’ve seen him in a long time?

 

Accident or not, I’m determined to find out what this girl is doing here, why she let that man anywhere near Meredith, what does she want from Trace, and why she keeps fucking shit up for me and my girl?

 

 

Chapter 40 by Mere

Trace’s room, 11:42 a.m.

 

I sit on the bed and watch her completely freak out.  It’s uncalled for, it’s stupid and it’s so weird.  She was fine, sophisticated, bad ass, and able to handle it; handle all his shit, their shit, our shit.  Sure, she was confused, she was frustrated, but she could handle it.  She could handle everything: his bad attitude, Mere’s break downs and freak outs, my lack of commitment.  All. Of. It.

 

And now, now she’s totally freaking out.  As far as I know Justin hasn’t even talked to her, or threatened her, or said anything to her.  No one has.  She’s locked herself up with me for the past three days, hugging on me one minute, begging me to fuck her, pushing me away the next, and chain smoking out on the patio.

 

I don’t understand it. It’s like she’s going through some crisis. 

 

Yes, in some sense she did go through a crisis. But we all did.  Yes, it was scary as fuck and it put everyone, every fucking person on this tour, on edge.  But things are settling down.  Hell, I even saw Mere the other day and she was smiling and laughing.  She’s ok.

 

We’re all ok.

 

Except for Court.

 

Hell, it’s like she really is guilty with how bizarre she’s acting.  Maybe her true feelings for this job are starting to show.  Maybe she loves it more than anything.  Maybe it’s all that matters to her even more than me.  Maybe she’s afraid that it will be taken from her. 

 

Or…something.

 

My eyes follow her back and forth across the carpet as I just sit on the bed.  We were having sex.  She woke up and I was hard.  She laughed.  She seemed easy and calm. It was good, real good; nice, easy, slow morning fucking.  She came hard and silent, and after I was finished I had to lay there for several minutes just trying to remember to breathe, trying to force myself not to pass out on top and inside of her.  I had rolled away and pulled her up to my chest.

 

She was quiet.  I thought she had just gone back to sleep and I softly said to her, “Justin’s going to come up around lunch, I think, to check in.” 

 

Then, when I looked down at her, her eyes were wide open and she was chewing on her bottom lip.  It was like her orgasm woke her up and put her back into this paranoid state she’s been living in.

 

I know Justin can be a scary asshole, but she shouldn’t fear for her life.  That’s acting more ridiculous than he is.

 

“I’ve got to get out of here.”  She mumbles to herself but it’s loud enough for me to hear her clearly. 

 

“You need to calm down,”  I say.

 

“I can’t be here when he gets here Trace,” she says, throwing things into this huge purse she has, tugging up some pants, buttoning up a shirt.

 

“You’re making this harder than it has to be,” I say.

 

She turns and stares at me.  She’s still furiously buttoning and she’s off one button so her shirt is crooked. “Do I need to remind you what I did?  Do I need to let you know what everyone’s been blaming me for?  What I’m probably going to be fired for?”

 

“Calm down.  No one’s blaming you.” I stand up and she visibly sighs.  I point at her shirt for her and she immediately starts to fix it.  No one’s blamed her, seriously, not me, not anyone who’s talked to me, and she’s made a point to avoid everyone, so this is all in her head.  “Look, I’m at as much fault as you are.  Mere should have told someone she was going to nap in there.  The venue should have done background checks.  There’s a lot of reasons why this happened.  It’s just a bad accident.”

 

Her eyes look into mine.  They’re wide and watery.  I don’t think I’ve ever since this girl broken down like this, over Meredith especially.  Maybe she really does care.  Or maybe she cares about her reputation.  It’s not bad either way, I just wish she’d open up to me. 

 

We were doing good, I thought.  I mean yeah, we were mainly just having fun fucking around, but I had told her I was falling for her and I think she was falling for me.  And now….now she’s just standing in front of me all lost and shit.

 

She’s this new person who I don’t even know.  What happened to my Courtney?

 

“An accident I’ll be blamed for,”  she says and then breaks her stare, breaks out of where I was holding her arms, grabs her purse and walks from the bed towards the hotel room door.

 

“Where are you going?”  I ask.

 

“I’ll call you later.” She opens the door and looks back in at me. “I’m going to clear my head.” 

 

The door slams and she’s gone and I don’t know if I’ve done something wrong or if she has or what.  I don’t know what I’m supposed to do; go after her, sit right here, be mad, be upset, be supportive and blank until she’s over it.

 

I just don’t know.

 

It’s like, I get it. Ya know?  I get it.  She made a mistake.  We all did, though.  She should have walked with the electrician to Meredith’s dressing room, or someone should have.  Meredith should have been more specific when she said she was going to Justin’s bus to stay.  She shouldn’t have been in that room alone without anyone knowing that fucker was coming in there.

 

Courtney thought she had gone to the bus.  Courtney was concerned with me.  And I shouldn’t have distracted her. We were all just too relaxed and at ease that night and we shouldn’t have been. 

 

At first I was unsure what had happened.  Ya know, if some guy had just been at the wrong place, the wrong time.   Maybe Mere woke up, saw a man in her room and freaked.  I didn’t know if he was really just doing his job or if he was a psychopath.

 

But no.

 

He was a psychopath.

 

So much so that he fucking cut the wires of the god dam A/C two days before so it would purposefully fuck up.  At least that’s what he confessed to doing.  He knew she was coming and he wanted his chance to see Meredith.

 

Johnny and Angie have been in contact with each other and Justin and Mere and the police and security.  They’ve really taken charge and I’ve had to be the middle man for everyone, because Courtney has decided to stop.  She won’t call Angie. She won’t talk to Meredith.

 

I guess it shouldn’t matter anyway. Justin and Meredith have shut out the world.  Angie is trying to convince Meredith to file a restraining order, but Meredith wants to be done with it.  Doesn’t want to think about it anymore.  Which is understandable. 

 

But he fucking confessed.  He fucking said he, “just wanted to kiss her.”

 

How…

 

How fucking psycho is that?  I can’t even wrap my head around it.  It fucking pisses me off and disgusts me and it’s not even my girl!

 

Sure, there’ve been crazy girls after Justin, but most of them have been younger girls or just kind of crazy and wanting to get a picture and see him.  But they’ve never done anything like this!  Never.

 

So the guy cut the wiring knowing she’d be in that room and knowing he’d be the one that would have to be called.  It was chance.  She could have been with Teddy or Justin or anyone when he came into that room, but he took that chance and he got closer than he ever was supposed to.

 

Girls have gotten into Justin’s rooms before.  Paparazzi have more than attacked him and said shit to him, they’ve downright stalked him.  But he’s never been alone and attacked. 

 

And it’s different, I’m sure, being a woman, a small woman, fucking relaxing on a couch and then some psychotic man gets on top of you and tries to pull you down to the ground. It makes me shudder to think about it.  I can’t even imagine what she went through, what still goes through her mind.  I can’t imagine being so sick or able to do that to a woman.

 

And as much as I don’t agree with a lot of the shit he’s done lately, I was terrified for Justin.  Terrified.  Justin’s pretty non-violent about most shit.  He’s a lot of talk and not a lot of substance when it comes to being a “tough” guy.  But there are two things in this world that you do not do: lay a hand on his mother or lay a hand on Meredith.

 

It’s why he went ape shit with the paparazzi at her house.  It’s why he’s psycho paranoid with Courtney.  In a way, he cares too much, I guess.

 

They haven’t left each other’s sight for three days.  I’ve seen them apart for only a moment.  She was talking and laughing with Abbie in the hotel hallway yesterday and Justin opened one of the doors and told them to come inside and hang out.  I don’t blame them.  I can’t imagine what would happen if someone had touched the woman I loved in that way.  I would have killed them.  No questions asked.

 

I wonder…I wonder what would have happened if he had gone after Courtney.

 

I feel sick; sick because it worries me to think what could have happened, and sick because I’m not sure I’d know what to do if something happened to Courtney.  I don’t even know what I feel for her anymore.  This whole thing has put her on another level, a level I’m not playing at.  I don’t understand what she’s saying or thinking or why she’s doing the things she is.

 

And she won’t talk to me.  She just won’t tell me anything.  She's thinking about quitting.  She wants to quit.  Maybe she already has.  I know this because I can see it in her face and by the small comments she makes.

 

“I should spend more time with my family.”

 

“I wonder what it’d be like to live permanently in LA, or Florida.”

 

“I wanna travel and see stuff more, maybe go to Europe.” 

 

“I wonder what it’d be like to be a secretary.”

 

All I know is that we’re leaving for New York tonight.  We have three shows there and then it’s done.  It’s over.  And I need to know where we stand.  I need to know what she’s going to do. 

 

I’ve been in the dark on most things the past year, with Elisha, with Justin, with my feelings about…everything, especially her, and especially him.  I don’t know what I’m doing half the time and having her act this way, act paranoid and doubtful just…just shakes me.

 

Maybe this is for the best.  Maybe this is just showing me the unstable side of her I can’t handle.

 

But I care for her.  Hell, I’m supposed to love her.  That’s what I said, right?  That I was falling in love with her.  That’s what I was feeling, right?

 

Why did this change everything?

 

Hell, maybe nothing changed.  Maybe I’m the one paranoid and going crazy.

 

It takes me a while to move from the bed to put on some clothes.  I should probably shower, but when I look at the clock, I see that Justin should be coming up at anytime. 

 

Sometimes, if we get a suite, I’ll share the room with him since they have private bedrooms, but now he’s in a suite with Teddy and Tiny and Meredith.  And me and Courtney were both given smaller standard hotel rooms. We’re in Boston.  They had a show last night and did well, but Courtney didn’t hang out at the arena.  In fact, I really don’t think she’s talked to Meredith since it’s happened, not a word.  Teddy seems to be pulling the weight though, and all interviews have been canceled until NYC, so the load’s been pretty light.

 

I pull on some jeans and by the time I have them zipped, I hear a knock at my door.  I grab my shirt from last night that’s crumbled on the floor and throw it over me.  It smells like cigarette smoke.  Shit, I need to see about getting some stuff cleaned.  And I still need that shower.

 

I open the door and he nods at me, hooded sweatshirt on, hood up over his head.  He says, “Hey…”  and I hold the door open for him.

 

“Hey, how’s things?”  I ask and watch him walk right in and sit down on a chair in the corner of the room.  I know he’ll notice the bra and panties and boxers dotting the floor, and Courtney’s suitcase over spilling by the bed, shoes and clothes and bags, exploding everywhere.  She’s messy all of a sudden, too.  She’s never had her shit strewn out in any other city we’ve been in.

 

She’s organized, clean, neat.  And now, with a snap, she’s not.

 

“Pretty good.”  He yawns and slouches. He seems not to care about the mess.

 

“Mere still doing good?”

 

He laughs quietly, shakes his head and smiles off into the distance.  It’s sick how much he loves her.  I’m jealous, I guess, but I’m happy for him.  Real happy.

 

“Amazing.  She’s taking a nap right now.” He yawns again and I look at the clock, wondering if he’s yawning ‘cause it’s early.  Shit, it’s ten to twelve.  He shouldn’t be this tired.  He better not be staying up too late with her.  “You alright?”  He asks me.

 

I pause and stare at him.  I wonder why he’s asking me.  I wonder if it’s obvious.

 

“Yeah…”  I say.  He keeps staring at me in that perfect Justin fashion, not blinking, no emotion, just waiting ‘cause he knows I’m not done, he knows I’ll end up confessing it all to him without him even trying. 

 

Sure enough I end up sighing and I let out, “Just…”  And then realize I’m about to spill to him about something he needs not know.  Something that’ll just add more fuel to this fire he’s building around Courtney.  At least, I think he’s building a fire.  “Nothing,” I mumble.

 

“What’s going on?”  He sits up on the chair and leans forward a bit.

 

“You don’t want to know.” I roll my eyes and sit down on the edge of the bed again.  Where’s the fucking remote?  I need a distraction.

 

Hell, why was he coming up here to begin with? 

 

“Look….”  He glances at the floor and swallows.  “You can vent to me about her if you want.”

 

I know where this is going.  Good God.  I need a beer or a cigarette. “Justin…”

 

Or a toilet bowl to puke in.

“I don’t blame you for what happened.  Part of me doesn’t really blame her."  I look up at him like he's crazy.  He's not even looking at me.  He's staring off into space.  Who the fuck is this guy?  He has to be bipolar. "It’s just…this has put a lot in perspective for me.  It’s like when Mere freaked out over missing her period and told me she had thought she was pregnant, I realized I needed to just shut everyone else out and concentrate on her and stop being so judgmental.  But dammit Trace, this has really made me look at a lot of things that have happened this summer.”

 

I narrow my eyes.  So he's not blaming her.  But he is blaming her.  Dammit, just say what you need to say! “Like what?”

 

“Why the fuck aren’t you happy?”  I blink.  It settles in me heavy.  Deep.  Why is he doing this at this moment?  Why didn’t he ask me this months ago?  Why can't he wait and ask me this in a few months when I resettle?  I lick my lips that are dry, suddenly chapped.  I feel jittery and nervous like a kid waiting for his friends to come over, but my friend is already here. Supposedly.  I hate feeling like this, like my emotions are about to be exposed, like I'm about to say something I shouldn’t.  Like he's about to tell me something I'm not ready to hear, even though I’m aware of it.  

“Is it me?"  He asks pitifully, “I mean, I know what you wanna do and I’m not gonna stop you.  I know the clothing line is your priority right now and I’m, shit man, I’m fucking proud of you for that.  But is that the reason you’re quitting, or is it something I’m doing?”

 

He looks at me like I'm hurting him.  Shit, now he's going to make me feel guilty.  No, no he’s not.  Justin wears his heart on his sleeve, he feels things and feels them strongly and even though he tries to manipulate people sometimes, he doesn’t do that to me, he never has, even when I’ve blamed him for it.  Maybe he’s not making me feel guilty.  Maybe I just really do feel guilty. 

 

And I love that we've never talked about it.  How I’ve never told him I won’t be his assistant after this tour.  He just knows.  Everyone knows.  And now he's saying it right to my face and it's like I'm being slapped with my own thoughts.  It's like I’m just now realizing what I’m really doing.  I'm ready for this, for a change.

I think.

“No…you haven’t changed.  Maybe I’ve changed."  I shake my head, hoping it'll shake some sense into it.  I hate feeling confused and lost.  I hate feeling like I'm out of control.  "I don’t know.”

 

“I want you to be happy, man.  ‘Cause we were friends before this shit.  It doesn’t matter if you’re my PA or not.  That doesn’t change us.”

 

I chew on my bottom lip and debate whether or not to say what I want to.  I want to.  Hell, I need to.  And if he wants to have some heart to heart right now, then let’s have it.

 

“Then why did you let her change us?”

 

I expect him to pause, to look shocked, to try to weasel his way out of it, knowing I’ve caught him in a hard place.  But he doesn’t miss a beat and looks at me full of concern, sitting up on the edge of the seat saying, “’Cause you’ve changed Trace.”

 

I just blink. 

 

“Hell, I know I spend more time with Mere now, but you know how much she means to me. You know this is different.  But I don’t feel weird telling you about Mere and you feel weird telling me about Courtney.”  I open my mouth to call him out on that comment but he keeps going.  “And I know, I know that’s my fault for not being very accepting of her.  But you know I don’t let people in easy, Trace.  She was new; I wasn’t going to go out of my way to be nice to her.  She was just there, but then shit started happening, you started pulling away from me and then come to find out, you’re talking to her and fucking her.  I don’t know what to do with that.  I know I was never nice to her, but am I supposed to be?  Especially when she makes my girl feel like shit and makes her doubt herself.  She’ll hide it, Mere will bury it deep inside, but I know that’s what’s happened. I tried to just ignore Courtney, but every fucking time I look at her, I see how you’ve pulled away. She’s never given me a reason to like her or trust her.”

 

I shake my head.  He just knows exactly what to say to piss me off. “And you’ve never given her a reason to like you.  You’ve done some fucked up shit to her this tour.”

 

“That is true.” He nods.  God, why is he agreeing?  He should be fighting this like the asshole bastard he is.  I guess, I guess I know that he’s not an asshole.  I guess I know that he knows he’s done some shit.  And even though his actions are not justified, the way she’s been acting the past few days has made me think things over, too. 

 

“She just stresses me out and she stresses Mere out and you, too.   And I know I didn’t make this easy, and I wanna fix that.  But I don’t know how Trace.  ‘Cause I can’t stand the way she makes me and my girl feel.  And if I wasn’t even in this picture, you and Mere would still be stressed out about her.”

 

“She made a mistake,” I say, trying my best to defend her.  Even though I know, I know it was a harmless mistake, I know what he’s about to say.

 

You can’t make mistakes like that in this line of work.

 

“Yeah, but you can’t make mistakes like that.  All she had to do was walk with him to the door.  And just the fact that all this shit over the past two months has come out about Mere and I, and you know it’s more than should have.  They know stuff that no one could.  It’s not making up lies anymore, its facts printed by some “source”.  I’m not saying she’s telling, but maybe she’s not being as discreet as she should.  She’s never done this before, that’s for damn sure.  Mere’s a big artist now and she needs a professional.”

 

I stand off the bed.  I can’t sit here and just hear him pull her apart.  I might be going crazy and doubting stuff, but she’s still my girl.  And I have to defend her, right?

 

“Courtney is a professional Justin!  God, ya know what?  You don’t even have to worry about all this because she’s gonna be fired anyway.”

 

He’s suddenly standing up and holding his hand out in a stop motion towards me.  “Man, calm down.  I’m trying my best to be level headed about this.” 

 

He’s stepping closer and when I look at him, I realize he’s battling a fine line between sanity and killing every fucker he sees.  There’s fear and rage in his face.  Justin’s pretty good at bottling his emotions, but when he lets them go…they explode. 

 

His voice waivers a bit as he says, “My girl could have been fucking raped or killed and you’re over here flipping your shit.”

 

“I’m sorry, I just…”  I sit down on the bed again and cover my face with my hands.  God, why did I have to wake up this morning?  I can’t handle this stress. 

 

He gives me a moment to chill out and finally says in a low tone, “What do you mean ‘fire her’?”

 

“Mere,” I sigh. 

 

“What?”

 

I look up at him and he’s now leaning against the dresser where the TV is, staring right at me, hood still over his head.  “Before it all happened, that afternoon, ya know when she went to help me walk the dogs?  We started talking and she started saying how Courtney never seems happy or something and she started asking me if I thought this was the right place for her.”

 

“And what did you say?”

 

I shrug and roll my eyes.  “Hell Justin, I don’t know.”

 

“You’re on the defensive.”  He crosses his arms over his chest and says matter of factly, “I haven’t seen you this stressed out in a long time.  And don’t blame it on me walking in here because you were this way before I got in here. I know that.”

 

“I just have too much on my mind about all this and then with the line and what I’m supposed to do here…”

 

“You’re supposed to do what makes you happy, Trace.” He pauses only for a moment.  “Does she make you happy?”

 

“Yeah…” I say weakly and before I know it it’s out of my mouth, “I mean…”  The doubt’s there.  And then I start back tracking, mumbling and stumbling like the idiot I am.  I blame Elisha for all of this.  I used to never be this fucked up and stupid.

 

“I think she could.  But it doesn’t help it that you two hate each other.  And it doesn’t help that she thinks she’s going to get fired.  I don’t know why she’s even with me.”

 

“If you don’t know that then there’s a problem.”

 

He’s right. 

 

It sucks so bad to say that.  But he’s right.  “Yeah I know.  Half the time I don’t know why I’m with her.  Like I do, I care about her and I think she’s a great girl, and she’s different from any other girl I’ve dated.”  I let out a deep breath and look up at him. 

 

“I do love her Justin.  But there’s just so much about her that…it’s like, I think when we were first fucking around it was just fun, just me trying to figure out what made her tick, and now that we’re together, I feel like I’m just waiting for her to change.  And I feel like she’s just waiting for me to say ‘screw you’ to you.”

 

“But you are saying it.”  He laughs a little, but it’s not in an asshole way.

 

I blink, refocusing my gaze on the carpet. 

 

“You are quitting, right?”  He finally asks.

 

I look at him directly and open my mouth, “That’s not why…:”

 

He shakes his head a little, “Look, I know you aren’t doing it because you hate me or whatever. Hell, it’s about time you said ‘fuck Justin, let me do what I want to do’.”

 

I narrow my eyes at him, wondering if this is just an act.  This isn’t an act, right?  Or is it?  I stare at him.  “How can you be so level headed about this and yet freak out over everything else?”

 

He shrugs and his face softens a bit, “Because I don’t want you to really say ‘Fuck Justin’.  I want you to do what makes you happy.  And if that’s doing your own thing, you know that’s fine with me.  And fuck, yeah I’m an asshole, you’ve know that since we were kids, but if she made you happy, I’d be happy.  But you’re not, Trace.  I don’t want this, I don’t want her to cause us to stop talking to each other.  And that’s what happened this tour.  This is the first time we’ve talked in so fucking long.  And I’m not blaming anyone; I know I have a big chunk of that blame right on my shoulders. But too much scary shit has happened to me in the past few weeks and I can’t just ignore it anymore.”

 

“You always do this.  Some shit happens and you turn a new leaf and you’re good for a few months and then you slowly creep back to the way it was.”

 

“That’s why they are called reality checks, and don’t think you aren’t having one right now, either.  ‘Cause you are.  You gotta find out if she’s worth it or not.  And if she is, than ya know what, I’ll try my best to support that.”

 

I can’t be so annoyed with him because he’s pointing out the truth, what I’ve been saying, without saying it, this whole time: that I fucking am admitting to myself that I love her…but only sometimes, just when it feels right. 

 

All this time I call Justin the asshole, the one who’s fucked up, and here I am, bat shit crazy and a horrible person, telling this girl I love her, but not believing it.  

 

“I just wonder if this will change once we aren’t on tour.  Like if she quits or is fired…”

 

He looks at me sympathetically and then rolls his eyes. “You know Meredith wouldn’t fire her.  You know she’s too sweet to do that.  Angie might, but I don’t know, Angie kind of likes having a hard-ass to boss Meredith around, I think.  She cares more about that than Meredith actually getting along with her assistant.”

 

“I just wonder what’s going to happen when I’m spending most of my time in LA.  Like if she stops being a PA will she stay there, will we still date? I know why we got together, but I sometimes wonder if the one thing that’s keeping us together is this tour.”

 

“Have you talked to her about this?”  I don’t look at him.  Why is he always right?    “Trace you know you gotta talk about this shit with your girlfriend if you want it to work.  Hell, you’re the one that used to tell me that all the time when I was trying to make shit work with girls.”

 

I look down at my hands.  “It’s just, half the time I feel like I’m so in love with her I can’t even think straight and half the time I think to myself, well at least she’s good in bed.”  I drop my hands and hang my head.  “I’m a fucking asshole, Justin.  And I’m an asshole because instead of keeping this battle to myself, I went ahead and told her I was falling in love with her, when hell, maybe I’m not.  Maybe I’m just crazy.”

 

“The tour’s fucking done almost.  I’m taking Mere away and maybe you guys can go back to LA and figure out if this is worth it.  That’s what I did with Mere.  After all that shit in Miami, it was all just a distraction.  And then we went back there and I hung out with her and it fell into place.”

 

“But what if it doesn’t work out?”

 

He shrugs, “Then it doesn’t work out, Trace.  Why are you so worried?  You just said it yourself you don’t know whether you love her or just want to fuck her.” Then he shakes his head, “You haven’t been this messed up over a girl in a long time.”

 

“That’s what worries me.  With Elisha I was angry and upset, but with this I’m just…I’m so fucking confused and I’d rather have something solid to feel, even if it’s bad like Elisha was, than to be so all over the place like now.”

 

“Maybe she should quit.  Maybe it would be good for both of you.”

 

Finally, I see his point.  After all this time he’s finally figured it out.  Pull on my strings, push on my weaknesses, manipulate me into convincing Courtney to quit.  She says this is the job she’s dreamed of.  I’m not going to take it away from her, even if it does make her miserable, even if me and her would probably be happier out on our own, not with them around 24/7. 

 

“You mean it would be good for you and Meredith.”

 

“Yeah, it would be.  I just hope that Mere could find an assistant actually worth a damn.”

 

“Hey…”  I say, defensively.  Courtney is just inexperienced.  She was good at first, but she lets things distract her and annoy her and frustrate her easily.  She’ll learn.

 

“Seriously Trace, Mere acts like it doesn’t bother her, but I know it does when Courtney doesn’t want to do anything with her.  You know as well as I do you have to have an assistant in this business who’s your friend, who likes your company and you like theirs.  And with them two, that’s not the case.” 

 

I know that.  I don’t understand it. But I know it.  I know they are different people but hell, Mere is a fun girl.  If Courtney can enjoy hanging out with me, she could enjoy  hanging out with Meredith.  I’ve caught her laughing a few times with Mere and her dancers.  And when she’s with me she’s a lot more carefree and girly.

 

I don’t get it why she distances herself so much.  But right now I lie when I say to him, “They’re just different.  They aren’t the type of people to be friends easily and Mere should know that.”

 

“Yeah and you and her aren’t the type of people to be dating either, but you’ve done it.  She’s done it.  I don’t know, Trace.  All I know is that you and Mere are stressed out right now and both causes go back to Courtney, whether she’s doing anything or not.  I’m just tired of everyone making excuses for her.”

 

I stand up.  I want to leave.  I’m tired. “I don’t want to get into this with you, Justin.  I don’t want to have to defend her to you.”

 

“You shouldn’t have to, Trace.  I don’t want to fight about this any more than we already have.” 

 

He shakes his head for the millionth time since he’s come in here.  He hasn’t gotten angry, he hasn’t raised his voice.  He’s just come in here and talked and I don’t know what to think about that.  It’s like he’s disappointed in me, shaking his head and looking at me concerned.  It makes me feel horrible, whether he means for it to or not.  He turns to walk to the door, but stops before he gets there and turns back to me.   

 

“I just want you to be happy, Trace.  You know how much I appreciate you.  I don’t wanna get all fucking gay on you, but I just…if she makes you happy then, great ya know? I’ll go straight up to her and kiss her and hug her and say, thanks for being with Trace and I’m sorry I’m a moron.   But she doesn’t make you happy, at least not that I can tell.  And that worries the shit out of me.”

 

I wish I could call him an asshole now.  I wish I could say something shitty, like I always do, about how my best friend is trying to manipulate me.  But this is the most honest thing Justin has said to me all summer. 

 

Still, I manage to flip it around on him.

 

“Not everyone can have a god damn fairy tale relationship like you,” I say bitterly.

 

“It’s not a fairy tale.  It’s not.  You should know that by now.  She makes me happy, so I put effort into it.  I make it work.  And so does she.  It takes effort for a relationship to work.  You know this more than anyone.” He stops and looks at the door for a minute and places his hand on the handle.  “I gotta go.  If you wanna grab lunch later, come by the room, but maybe you should go talk to Courtney first.  Or something.”

 

I shake my head at him.  He doesn’t understand. Maybe him and Mere’s relationship isn’t perfect, but it’s a good relationship.  Me and Court, I just don’t know anymore.  I don’t know anything anymore and it scares the shit out of me.  I can’t just go fix everything when she won’t talk to me.

 

“It’s just not that easy,” I say and he shrugs. I know in that shrug he’s asking me, “if it’s not that easy, then why are you with her?”  If I’m with her if I’m not happy, and if I’m confused, and if she won’t really truly be with me and talk to me about stuff, then why the hell am I with her?

 

Really…why?


I stand there for a moment staring at the door.  Suddenly I'm in need of a walk, to find someone, anyone to talk to, even if it's Justin again.  He’s a lot better than trying to listen to myself think.  I grab my hotel key and slip on some shoes and grab my hat before walking out of the door.  The hallway is empty, and Justin's already disappeared to wherever he is, probably back to his room with Mere. 

Maybe I'll just go outside and have a smoke and walk around the block.  Shit, I don’t have my cigarettes.  Maybe a walk will be ok.  I can buy a pack if I need to.

Fuck…do I need to.  My nerves are frayed, I'm shaking and as I press “G” inside the elevator, I feel nauseated.  The elevator dips for a moment and I grip the railing inside the back wall, glad that I’m alone and no one can see how I’m physically freaking out right now. 

I just don’t know anything anymore.  I don’t know about her.  I don’t know if I love her or if I just want to be in love again…with anyone.  I don’t know what she's thinking or feeling right now.  She won't talk to me.  Part of me feels guilty for dumping Justin without an assistant to back him up even though I know he'll be fine.  Part of me wonders if I'm really burned out or if I just need a vacation; if as soon as I stop doing it for a month, if I'll end up missing it, missing this lifestyle.

God I don’t even know how to live stationary.  I've been on the road and in the studio following him around for most of my adult life.  

And now I don’t have to answer to anyone but myself, and that’s…that's going to be a weird feeling.

The doors open up in the lobby and I pull my bill down when I see a couple of girls that look like they probably shouldn’t be here.  I'll have to tell the hotel about that.  Sometimes they'll get in the lobby and wait for Justin.  Sometimes they know who I am and start to squeal and wave me over.  This time I make sure to not make eye contact.  I walk towards the front glass doors and in a fleeting glance, just to look around, I gaze to my right at the bar and restaurant area of the hotel.

And I see her, a cigarette in between her two fingers, a brown drink with ice against the bar in her other hand.  She's fucking gorgeous just sitting there, sitting upright, not slouching, her hair down against her shoulders.  

Fuck my doubt.

I love her. 

She's all alone right now and I know I just gotta go, sit by her, let her talk to me on her terms and we'll be ok.  I just have to be there for her.  That's all I want to do, is be there for her.

I approach her and she doesn’t notice me, not even when I sit down on the stool next to her and tilt my head at her, trying to smile.  I can see it in her face and it’s clear that she's upset.

 

"Hey, I thought you were…”

 

“Angie called me and I got distracted,” she says harshly.

 

Well damn. 

 

“I thought you were quitting on me or something,” I say.

 

“Not now Trace.”

 

I sigh and rub her shoulders and back, trying my best to be comforting.  She sucks in a long drag from her cigarette and blows it straight out in front of her before flicking some ash off into the glass tray in front of her. “You need to relax.  I think you are making this out to be a lot worse than it really is.  You should talk to Meredith.  How has she seemed the last few days?”

 

She sits back. “I haven’t seen her Trace.  You know that.  Justin’s kept her from hanging out.”

 

“I just talked to him.”

 

“Oh great," she says sarcastically and brings the glass of what looks like whiskey on the rocks to her lips and gulps down the last bit of it.  I never knew her to drink that hard, hell, especially right at noon.  "I bet he had a lot of wonderful things to say about me.”

 

“He was very level-headed, Courtney."  Why am I now having to defend him?  Why do I always have to defend everyone? "I was the one flipping out on him.  I’m not saying he didn’t say some things that pissed me off, but he wasn’t out of line.”

 

She turns to face me, her eyes narrowed, her mouth clenched, saying through her teeth, “So now you’re on his side.”

 

“Courtney..."  Oh, so she's gonna pull this bull shit on me now, this ‘who's side are you on’ shit.  She's gonna make me decide between the two of them.  Fuck that!  "There are no sides.  Why are you letting this get to you?  A mistake was made.”

 

“And she could have been killed,” she says.


I see tears in her eyes, but I don't see sadness or fear.  I see anger and frustration.  It was a shit thing that happened.  Everyone was worked up, everyone is still on edge.  Everyone still has the “what if’s” running through their minds.  And it's sad to say, as I sit here and watch her, I wonder if she really does care about Meredith, if that’s why she's upset right now...or if something else is going on, if she's freaked out because if something major did happen to Meredith, she'd be much more than fired.  I’m wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that someone could have been killed and everything to do with her worrying about what people think of her, since her mistakes could have gotten Meredith killed. 

 

“Are you upset because she almost got hurt or because you fucked up and people are looking at you now?”

 

“Nice,” she says bitterly and starts to get up.

 

“No."  I grab her arm and look right at her.  "If it’s a little bit of both, that’s fine.  But do you even care about her, Courtney?”

 

She shakes her head.  “Of course I do.  But I’m not her family, Trace. I’m not her friend.  Am I supposed to cry to her about it or go eat ice cream with her about it?  I’m her assistant; I’m not in her little close circle of friends.”

 

I can’t believe what I’m hearing.  She says she cares, but it sure as hell doesn’t seem that way.  It's almost like some act.  I can see through her, though. I know she cares, she might not care that much about Meredith, but she doesn’t wish shit on anyone.  At least I don’t think. 

 

I hate this.  I hate not knowing who she really is.

“You could be her friend, but you don’t want that.  So don’t you dare sit here and complain about it.”

 

She sighs and slouches, running her hands through her hair after stubbing out her cig.  Damn I want one back.  I wonder if she has anymore in her purse.  “I can’t get fired from another job, Trace.  I won’t be able to find any more work.”

 

“You aren’t going to get fired."  I place my hand on her shoulder and rub her there, letting her know that I still care about her, letting her know that I’m still here for her.  I hope she knows that.  "And if you stop working for Meredith, I told you I’d help you out.”

 

“And I told you I didn’t want any favors.”  Her voice sounds blank and robotic.

 

“Stop this.  Stop going back into that cold, harsh girl that I first met.  ‘Cause I know that’s not you.  That’s this person you force yourself to be when you are scared or threatened.”

 

She shrugs my hand off of her back, and it falls limply, along with all hopes I had of being a good boyfriend, of making this work, of working through this with her.  It all falls when she shrugs me off and says, “Just leave me alone right now Trace.  Stop trying to analyze why I do the things I do ‘cause you’ll come up to a dead end.”

 

I’m angry.

I'm more than angry.  I’ve put in time and energy into this girl.  I've almost let it ruin my relationship with Justin.  I've let it absorb my life on tour.  I’ve let it waste all my time that maybe, maybe I could be playing the field.  And now, now it's all over, and she doesn’t even fucking wanna try?

“Fine.  Fine…"  I stand off the couch and say to her, "I’m going to eat lunch with Justin, so I guess I’ll see you at the venue.  That is, if you want, ya know, since I am your boyfriend and all..." I say this hoping it will wake her up.  Hoping that she'll smile at me, say she's sorry, hug me, anything, anything small and simple to let me know she's still hanging onto us, that she's not completely given up. 

 

I stare at her and add, "And I would really like to help you through this.”

 

“There’s nothing you can do Trace.  Nothing.”


Just like that it's shattered.  It's gone.

It's over.

I laugh a little and shake my head at her.  "Then that’s my cue,” I say.

I turn.  I walk back into the lobby and straight to the elevator.  I don’t look back.

There's nothing to look back at because she just ruined everything we had, even if what we had was insignificant and doomed.  She let it falter and let it die without even fucking trying.  She did exactly what Justin was talking about.  She didn’t put in any effort at all.

 

And I’m tired of it. I’m tired of her bull shit.  I’m tired of her being the victim.

And I’m done.

 

Chapter 41 by Mere
Author's Notes:

 

Bryant Park, 2:51 p.m.

It’s amazing how quiet it is. In the middle of Manhattan, only a fucking block from Times Square, just a small span of grass, a few trees and the world gets cut off. People sit in the grass or sit in the rickety wooden chairs and desks perched by dark green metal tables, reading, eating lunch, taking a nap, pausing in the middle of this hectic city for a moment of peace.

I wish I could find a moment of peace.
I’m ok, ya know? Like it’s not constantly on my mind. About once a day, when someone touches my shoulder, I’ll jump, my heart stops for a moment. I swear I’m getting better, it’s just hard.

I had a nightmare last night, the first one I’ve had since it happened. The first night I barely slept. We both laid in bed that night, quiet, watching movies. About four in the morning I looked over and he was breathing deeply, his hand resting on his chest moving slowly up and down with each breath he took. I watched him for an hour, maybe more. I couldn’t even think. I just watched him.

I couldn’t make myself think about anything, not about what had happened, not about my friends or family or silly stuff that I did when I was a kid. Nothing would make my mind float away into sleep. I couldn’t think, and yet I couldn’t turn my brain off enough to fall asleep.

I ended up getting up and taking another short shower and by 6 a.m. I was eating a bowl of cheerios and watching TV out in the main area. Teddy got up soon after and we sat there watching cartoons.

Since then I’ve been ok. It’s been easier to sleep with Justin there beside me and the dogs at the foot of the bed and Teddy and Tiny right outside our rooms. I’ve actually slept pretty hard most every night.

But last night I woke up from the hardest sleep I’ve had in a long time. I tried to scream, I tried to hit at everything. I was trying to wake up, but I couldn’t. I could see him on top of me again. And I couldn’t move. I couldn’t scream. He was going to get what he wanted this time.

Justin woke me up shaking me and before I even opened my eyes I hit him on his face. I didn’t mean to. As soon as my hand hit him my eyes opened and I looked at him terrified. It was just him, not…not that guy. I immediately started repeating how sorry I was, that I had a nightmare. He just stared at me and held his jaw and cheek in his hand.

He started crying.

His hand moved from his face to his eyes and he started crying, laying back against the pillow.

Then I started crying. It was a huge mess. I curled up to him and he didn’t even hold me. I could feel him shaking underneath me and it was horrible. Just this fucking huge ass mess.

Especially when Buckley came and stood right in between us, happy, tail smacking back and forth, trying to lick our faces.

It made us laugh, though. It made him laugh hard and he held me, wiped his face on the t-shirt I was wearing and laid half on top of me with his head on my chest. He fell back asleep quickly and we didn’t talk about it.

I really am ok. I just get jittery sometimes. Like right now I’m ok, even though I shouldn’t be. I’m alone out here in the corner of the park. Teddy is sitting at a table near mine, an opened newspaper in his hands, even though I know he’s not reading it.

I pull up my legs and cross them underneath me. I tug down on the bill of my hat, keeping my eyes lowered, looking down at the small bound black book in front of me. It’s a journal I rarely write in. Sometimes I’ll jot down notes or phrases I like or ideas for songs, but really I just have it here so if someone glances at me, they wont notice me looking around anxiously, waiting.
They won’t go, “Hey, there’s that Meredith girl lets go talk to her.” The last thing I need right now is someone approaching me, asking me about what happened, asking me why I look like hell, why I’m sitting out here alone.

I pull down on the sleeves of my hoodie even though it’s warm out. I’m sweating here with my stretch pants and sweatshirt, but I just didn’t want to look too flashy.

Teddy was nervous about me doing this, but I needed to come here. And sometimes he’s a pushover when it comes to me. Sometimes I think he cares too much.

Megan and I, we always came here, and nothing’s going to change that, no matter how famous I am. Bryant Park is our space. Hell, we sort of met here. Well, we got to know each other here. We met at orientation freshman year. She was at school for photography and I was there for dance. We met and she asked if I wanted to get Jamba Juice. I had never heard of it and asked her what it was. She grabbed my wrists and said, “Let a New Yorker school your southern ass into everything that is this city.” It made me laugh. We sat out here for four hours that day and just talked about everything.

I’ve never once felt weird or awkward around Megan, not even that first day. After that we would hang out in Bryant Park whenever we had the chance. We’d sometimes come here with Rex and whoever she was dating at the time and people watch and talk or study. But most of the time it was just us. It got to the point where we wouldn’t have to talk or do anything, just sit here and relax.

Unfortunately, this time I know I won’t relax and I won’t be silent. Megan knows the reason why I called her out of work was important and I hated doing it. But I just can’t stand it anymore.

I need a fucking friend. I need my fucking friend. I love Justin, but after my dream last night and after our fight this morning—yeah we fought, it was horrible—I just can’t keep putting everything on him. He worries too much as it is.

And Megan can come at this without that much emotion. She can help me figure out what I’m supposed to do with Courtney. I hope.

The fight this morning was about her. I think Justin had been holding it in, trying to be normal and level headed about everything. But this morning I had a call in spot for a New York radio station. I was supposed to be there in person, but after Philly we’ve kept promotion more impersonal. It’s not good for promo or for repertoire with stations, but most of them have been nice and understanding since everyone knows what happened to me, since it was fucking “breaking news” on Entertainment Tonight.

This morning Teddy and I couldn’t figure out how to get in touch with the station. We had the number wrong on our itinerary. Angie wasn’t answering her phone and we couldn’t find Courtney.

I haven’t seen her in a week, not even in the hotel. Trace says she’s been around, but I haven’t seen her. He said he stopped talking to her a couple days ago. It’s like she went missing in action. I know she’s still around. She rode on my bus here to New York, yesterday. I was with Justin and Trace jumped on his bus at the last minute and asked if he could ride with us because he didn’t want to be with her. I thought about going over there and spending the ride on the bus just me and her.

Maybe then I’d get some answers as to why she’s ignored me. She wouldn’t be able to run away from me then.

But as I sat there on the couch with Justin’s head in my lap, listening to him talk with Trace about something, laughing, them happy with each other—something I haven’t seen in a while—I realized I wasn’t ready to deal with it. I realized it was going to be a nice ride to New York, and I needed that. So I stayed put and kept running my fingers through Justin’s hair that’s starting to grow out a little.

I wanted to be with him. I wanted to come into the city with him, since this is where it all started. I was even a little upset when I found out we weren’t going to be at the Ritz this time. The Bryant Park Hotel is amazing and sleek and modern and awesome, but I wanted to be back there. I needed that. I needed to relive those happy moments with him when nothing in the world was wrong, when I found out he liked me back, when he…when he fucking kissed me on his bed and let me sleep there with him.

I needed that. Last night we had a good time at the hotel. Some of the dancers and the band were going out, but we decided to stay in. We just ordered some food and hung out in bed. He wanted to have sex, he wanted it so bad. I could tell by the small touches, by how every time he kissed me, he tried to deepen it immediately. He was looking at me in that way he always does when he wants me. He couldn’t stop biting or licking his lips.

But…

I just, I haven’t been able to. I haven’t had any desire or energy to do that, not with everything on my mind. I know it worries him. I know he thinks I’m now sexually fucked up because some guy came in my dressing room. I know he thinks I’m scared of sex now. And that’s not it. It’s everything, all the stress and the drama with Courtney being weird and Justin holding everything in. Maybe sex would make me more relaxed, but I don’t ever want to force myself to be that way with him. And that’s how I would feel if we did it, forced.

I want to forget all of it. But I can’t.

And I can’t keep ignoring it and she just can’t keep ignoring me.

Justin was right this morning when he yelled, “What the fuck does she think she’s doing?”

Trace finally got us the right number to call for the station, thank God. I didn’t need to be on bad terms with z100. They were nice and supportive on the phone. We gave out a few tickets to the show, and I took a couple fan questions and they were all really sweet. It made me feel better.

But when the interview was done I looked at Justin and he was fuming. He got everyone out of the room quickly. He looked at me and I knew it was on. He yelled and paced and clenched his fists. He told me that there was no going back now, that he had been waiting, hoping that Courtney would show up and be professional and fix this. He said he had wanted her to come back and prove him wrong. He said he had wanted to forgive her and ask for her forgiveness for my sake and for Trace’s. He said all he wanted was for all of this to be over with and fixed and for everyone to get along.

“I was willing to do that, Meredith! I was ready for it, to fucking fess up for the shit I’ve pulled. But not now…”
He said if she wanted to quit she should have came to me and told me, instead of going missing for days while I needed her around to help me. Then he told me I should call Angie and have her fired. Immediately.
I had been silent all during his tirade until then. And that’s when I got mad.

I yelled at him for, “trying to control me,” and, “make decisions for me,” and I didn’t mean to do that, ‘cause I know that’s not Justin. I know that’s not who he is. He’s trying to look out for me. Hell, if Trace just disappeared on Justin, I’d be mad, too. Of course, Trace would never do that.

If Trace disappeared we’d all be worried, concerned, calling the fucking police and putting out alerts. But we know Courtney is around. She’s just made herself vanish within the chaos of the crew and the tour and the hotels.

I defended Courtney.

Justin asked me why I’m always defending someone who never defends me. He yelled at me. He said he loved me, but that he couldn’t do this right now. And then he left.

I don’t know where he went. And I haven’t seen him for about 5 hours now.

I called up Megan panicking, crying, acting like an idiot and a fool.

All she said was, “You’re staying at the Bryant Park, right?”

“Yeah.”

“I can be at the park by 2:45 if you can.”

I start tearing up, sitting here, thinking about how awesome she is, how she gets me, how she’ll fucking drop everything to help me out. And she knows I’d do the same for her. I’ll stop a fucking show for her if I have to.

But she’d never ever ask me to.

I glance over at Teddy and suck in a breath. He nods a little at me and averts his eyes to behind me. I glance over my shoulders and see her with a scarf in her hair, a skirt, and cute little flats. She looks completely different from my frumped out state.

She rolls her eyes and approaches me, walking around the table and sliding in the chair across from me with two cups in her hands. She sets them down and lets her purse fall from her shoulder to the grass. She kicks it under her feet and keeps it there.

“So…” She starts, as if we had been in the middle of a conversation. “The fucker making my damn drink hands it to me and drops it. He dropped it! So not only did it hold up the colossal line of angry Jamba cravers, but I had to wait for him to make me a new one. Then, like, a brigade of slow ass granny tourist were walking arm in fucking arm while I was trying to cross the street and no one could get around them and I swear I almost hit one. Yes, today was the day that I almost became a granny hitter.”

She sighs, plops her hands down against the table and I pull my hands out of the sleeves of my hoodie and grab for my drink. Normally a story like that would make me laugh, but I just show her a tight smile and say,

“Thanks.”

I suck on the straw. The liquid is soothing and smooth and cold going down my throat, and I know it’ll probably make me a little hoarse for tonight, but I can drink some tea later.

I don’t look at her. I realize that I haven’t seen her since we were back in Atlanta. I haven’t seen her since everything happened. The last thing she needs right now is me breaking down on her. I know she wants her giggly, girly friend here to laugh at people and talk about old Saved By the Bell episodes. And I can’t give that to her.

“God Mere…” I move my eyes up to her and she’s staring at me, concern and worry all over her face. She looks like my mom or something, “You look pitiful.”
I let out a deep breath that I feel like I’ve been holding for the past week and I shake my head, “I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“All you’ve ever had to do, girl, is whatever makes you happy.” She bites on the end of her straw for a moment before sucking on it. This is our thing, Bryant Park, a small table, or sometimes the grass, and Jamba Juice in our hands.

Every time we do this I feel relaxed, happy, content with who I am and what I’m doing.

But right now I’m so fucking lost.

“It’s not that simple, you know it.”

She shakes her head at me and sets down her drink, “Yes, yes it is. Look, you’re gonna get in fights with Justin. That happens. But you guys have been through some shit in the few months you’ve been together. And I’m not blind and neither are you. You know this is worth it. You know it’s going to last. This is so different from any other relationship you’ve been in.”

“I know, I just…” I let myself be distracted by watching a guy talk on his cell phone in some language I couldn’t begin to tell you about. He’s walking barefoot in the grass. It kind of disgusts me and I’m not sure why. I used to walk in the grass back in Georgia all the time. I never wore shoes when I was a kid. But I guess here, on this trampled grass that everyone uses, that’s confined to this small area, it’s gross. It’s kind of how I feel, confined and trampled on, just laying there on the ground while every thing else happens around me.

I need to go home.

Hell, I just need to get away.

“I wanna give Courtney the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t know how to do that when she’s not even here.”
Maybe that’s what Courtney needed, maybe she just needed to get away, too.

“Have you seen her?”

“Dammit Megan.” I grab my head with both my hands and squeeze a little, elbows up on the table. I wish I could take this hat and hoodie off and run my hands through my hair. It’s a nervous habit, and I feel restrained now that I can’t do that.

“The last time she talked to me was when I told her I was going to stay on Justin’s bus, before the guy came in my dressing room. That’s the last time I looked at her face and she looked at mine and we actually spoke. I saw her a few times after that when we were being questioned and I saw her with Trace a few times. But I haven’t talked to her. Even Trace says he hasn’t talked to her since we’ve been in New York. It’s been two days and no one knows where she is.”

“Ya know…” Megan laughs and then sits back against her chair. She has sunglasses perched on her head, but the buildings have blocked most all of the sun and she pulls them off for a moment and places them on the table in between us.

“I always thought she was ok. She never personally said or did anything to me that made me hate her. But she’s a different type of girl, Mere. It’s like, she’s so concerned with everything other than what she needs to be concerned about. She’s the most high strung person I’ve ever met. And yet, at the same time, she’s not. It’s this weird mix of two people. It’s like she never knows who she’s supposed to be or how she’s supposed to act. When I first met her I thought she was this hard ass person who was probably nice, but wasn’t going to put up with any shit.”

That’s what I thought, too and I hated it. I thought it was going to be horrible. And then for like a week or two she was nice, still really strict and put together, but like, when we were in Miami she was so awesome and she was there for me and seemed to care about me. And then suddenly she stopped wanting to even be near me. I don’t know. I thought we might become friends somehow, and I know that Justin was an asshole to her, but she shouldn’t have taken that out on me.

‘Cause I talked and talked and talked to him about her, more than I wanted to. I fought with him over her. And now it’s like…maybe that was all a waste.

Maybe he was right.

“And now she freaks out over everything,” Megan continues. “And then when you thought you were pregnant she just acted so casual. I don’t know Mere…I just don’t know.”

“Justin told me this morning I needed to fire her. And I know he’s not thinking this or trying to make me feel this way, but I can’t help it. It’s like he’s saying either fire her or it’s gonna cause problems for us.” I feel my eyes welling up with tears and I can hear my voice falter.

“But I don’t want any man to rule my decisions that much and I don’t want to give up on Courtney. I mean, what if something major is going on with her?”

I don’t know why I’m so emotional over this. I don’t know if I’m just burnt out from touring or if Courtney leaving really has upset me or if maybe I need therapy for that guy coming in my dressing room. Maybe I am losing it.

“Then she should tell her boyfriend about it, Mere. Or tell you she has to take care of some shit. And Justin shouldn’t make you feel like you have to choose between them. But ya know, you shouldn’t even have to feel this way.”

I look at her and sniff. “What?”

“How long have you known her?”

“A few months.” I blot my eyes with the sleeve of my hoodie. I’m not crying, but my eyes are watering and it’s making my contacts feel swimmy.

“Are you close? Are you friends? Do you have any close bonds or anything?”

“I mean, I try,” I look away and shrug ‘cause she knows the answers to all these questions she’s asking me. And I know what she’s doing, which is exactly what I need. She’s asking me the questions I’ve been asking myself. She’s just forcing me to spit out actual answers, instead of just pushing everything back. “But you know we’re not close.”

She leans forward and looks right at me, smiling, “Then why does it matter if she stays or goes? Why does it matter if she quits or is fired? You are done in a week. Three more shows and you fly back home. And you are off for what a month?”

“Six weeks.” I answer.

“Exactly.” She sits back and shrugs. “So what’s it matter? You can find another assistant. Hell, get Angie off her ass and make her travel with you. I could help out if you needed me to.”

“Megan…” I’d never ask her to drop her life to go around with me. Sure, my life would be fun as hell, perfect if she was there all the time. Sure, she’d be fantastic at it.

She’s a people person and organized and if she wants or needs something, she gets it. But I would never pull her away from what she loves, from this city and her internship. I’d never do that.

And she knows it.

“I’m serious.” She means it, too. “You know how awesome that would be for me to be able to travel around and take pictures of whatever I come across.” I smile at her and sip on my drink some more. “I get it, ya know? I understand that you care about her because she did come in and help you out when you started with Justin and your career was going nuts, but you don’t owe her anything Mere. You owe nothing to anyone. This is your life, your career, and your fucking talent that got you here. Nothing else. Not some pop star boyfriend, not an assistant, not Angie, not me…you did this, you’ve made it this far.”

Fuck, even though she’s wrong, even though I’d be no where if it weren’t for all the people around me, she’s going to make me cry.

I suck in a breath and laugh, trying to force myself from being girly about all this. “I guess I just hate that I feel like she hates me or something.”

“And why should you feel that way? You’ve done nothing to her, Mere. Nothing. And the fact that she makes you feel like you’re a horrible person, or that you are childish, fuck that. Yeah you’re silly and girly and we are dorks and like to have fun, but you are so fucking mature and you’ve been through a hell of a lot more than I bet she ever has. And you shouldn’t be sitting here crying over her.”

I look at her and her forehead is wrinkled, her mouth tight. She’s pissed off. She looks more like Justin than I ever thought possible. I thought she’d be more neutral about all of this, not as emotional. But I guess that’s not fair to assume she could come at this without a biased perspective. She is my best friend, and I know I’m not painting the best picture of everything right now.

“You’re getting riled up.”

“Well you’re my fucking best friend and I don’t like seeing you like this.” She chews on her bottom lip. Then for a moment, just a second, ‘cause Megan can always keep her emotions in check, I see a fleet glimpse of fear in her. “Some asshole attacked you, fucking attacked you…” She shakes her head and narrows her eyes. “And she just disappears?”

Justin said the exact same damn thing to me this morning. And I know he can be unfair about things and has been unfair with almost everything about her, but Megan has been pretty neutral when it comes to Courtney. And now, now that all this has happened, I kind of see that Megan’s right.

I do need Courtney now. I’ve needed her here. I’ve needed someone to keep this shit together, to make me feel like I’m not losing my mind. Yeah, Justin has done that. God, he’s kept me together this past week, but I needed Courtney, too. I needed her to take care of all the stupid, non-emotional shit.

Maybe she’s right. Maybe I should never have tried so hard to get her to like me and be my friend. But right now, in all of this, I honestly didn’t need a friend. I didn’t need one because I had so many around me; Shanda and Monique and Abbie and Trace and Marty and Justin and Megan on the phone every day, and Teddy even though he doesn’t talk much.

No, I needed an assistant. I needed her help.

And she wasn’t there.

Megan shakes her head and stares off in the distance, crossing her arms over her chest. “Ya know, that’s a bad time for her to have a pity party, because dammit Meredith, it’s not about her. It’s not. It never was. When you become an assistant to anyone, whether it’s you, Justin, Cher, the president, or even when you are a po-dunk secretary for a dinky law firm in bum fuck Alabama, it’s not about you as an assistant. When you take an assistant role, that’s what you are…assisting someone or something else. I’m not saying she can’t have a life or problems of her own, but if she can’t handle her own shit especially in this business, then she needs to be in another line of work.”

But Courtney’s never done this before. I honestly think she would have done a great job—hell, she did do a good job that first month—if everyone just chilled out a little bit around her. And not just Justin, Trace, too. Everyone has always been on edge around her and she put up with it and stuck it out with me. Until now.

“I feel like everyone is ganging up on her though, even Trace now. I feel like someone should be in her corner and give her the benefit of the doubt.”

“You’re too nice.” Megan laughs. “You’re way too nice. You know if this was any other fucking singer out there her ass would have been kicked to the curb long ago. I’m sure she’s a nice person. I’m sure she’s got shit going on. I’m sure that this is just one big fucking mess, but she’s gotta fess up to that. She’s gotta look at you and say, ‘hey, I’ve got shit going on and I know you do, too, but I need some time’. She’s gotta look at you and be honest with you about shit. I refuse to believe Justin’s bull shit that she’s selling stuff to the tabloids or talking to too many people about it or whatever his theory is this week. I don’t think she’s like that.”

I want to say, “yeah but we didn’t think Leah was like that either,” but I don’t.

“But she can’t just fucking disappear on you without an explanation. That’s grounds for being fired from any job. Any job. I don’t care if she was a fucking golden princess of personal assistants before she did this, she’d still be fired. It’s almost as if she wants to be fired.”

She has a point. You can’t just leave no matter who you are and what job you have. And Courtney’s a smart girl, she wouldn’t do this without a reason, I don’t think.

“She was never happy. She never seemed happy. Only when Trace was around. That kind of hurt, ya know? Realizing that I made her life miserable.”

“Oh stop it!” She rolls her eyes at me and I know she’s annoyed. She gets annoyed at me when I get down on myself. I guess it’s good to have that, to have her smack some sense back into me. “You did no such thing. She made her own life miserable. She did. You’ve done nothing to her Meredith. You have no guilt or blame in this situation.”

“Yeah…” I still feel so foggy about everything, though. And I still feel bad about everything and confused.

“I’m not trying to tell you what to do. If you don’t want to fire her Meredith, then don’t. But you’ve gotta find her and talk to her about this. You can’t keep her employed if she’s not even there to work.”

I hold up my chin with my hand and uncross my legs that now are asleep and tingly. “And I can’t keep fighting with Justin. It’s like the point of contention for us. Every fight we have she’s somehow involved. And I hate that. It’s not about her.”

“No, it’s not.”

“But then I feel like a stupid, pathetic little girl by being like ‘oh my boyfriend doesn’t like her so I don’t either’ ya know? I don’t wanna be one of those girls that just hangs over her boyfriend and does everything he says.”

I stare at the table and run my fingers against where some of the paint is chipping.

“Meredith…”

“What?” I look up at her.

“Do you honestly feel that’s how you and Justin are? That guy? As much as I do think he’s an asshole sometimes, and he has fucked up a few times, and I’m still very cautious and protective over you around him, but he fucking loves you. He fights about this with you because he feels the same way I do. He doesn’t want you getting hurt any more than you already have. And he doesn’t want you doubting yourself or being depressed like you are right now. And when this shit happens, when that fucking guy got on top of you...that changed everything. It’s not just her annoying or ignoring you or making you feel bad. This is about her not being there when you need her the most. She wasn’t there for you, Meredith. She’s still not there for you. She wasn’t there to make sure everything was ok. She wasn’t there to get you whatever you needed. No, she got scared and she bolted. And that’s inexcusable.”

I suck in a breath and I can’t hold it. It doesn’t help. My chest feels heavy and my eyesight is blurring. God, I’m a fucking mess and my mind keeps running all these thoughts of everything that has happened and will happen and I hate it. I fucking hate it.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen with him and Trace. They’ve been better now, ya know? Now that she’s not around. I guess her and Trace broke up. But I can see it on Trace’s face. He’s fucked up over her. It’s just a huge mess and I hate it. I hate it so much, Megan. ‘Cause eventually him and Trace will probably fight over her again and I’m just so sick of it. I’m so sick of being in the middle of everything.”

“Shh, calm down.” She takes her chair and scoots over closer to me and rubs my shoulder for a second. I know she’d hug me, but I know she knows as well as I do the less attention we draw right now the better. The last thing I need right now is a tabloid picture with me crying in Bryant Park while my “gay lover friend” comforts me.

“You’re gonna be ok. Just worry about you, ok? Just worry about what makes you happy.”

“Having you here makes me happy.” She does a mocking “aww” noise and I force a smile in response. I sniff and keep looking down, trying so hard not to let these tears fall. “Justin makes me happy, Justin makes me sooo happy, Megan. And being on stage, but also being at home. Just being with my friends and being with my family and not worrying about stuff all the time. I just wish I could stop worrying all the time.”

“Then don’t worry all the time.”

“Yeah...” I don’t say anything and neither does she for a while. It’s so easy to say that, to say, “stop doing this” but it’s so hard to actually do it.

She pulls back a little and after a moment says, “Ya know…” I look up at her and see her turned in her chair looking behind me, smiling a little. “Courtney would never come after you. If you guys fought, or if something happened, she’d never seek you out to talk about it and fix it. She’d just run away like she has right now.”

“What?”

“Look.” She nods behind me and I look over my shoulder and scan the park for a moment until I spot him half way down the length of the park away. He’s staring right at us, even though his appearance is much like mine, sneakers, track pants, a zip up hoodie over his head. He’s wearing a hat, too. Tiny is right behind him and I can’t help myself.

I just stare back at him.

He looks perfect right now coming towards me. I know this is a risk. Neither of us should be out in the open right now in such a public place with all the drama that’s been happening.

But he doesn’t care. And that makes me smile.

‘Cause he’s coming towards me. He’s coming after me.

“He will Meredith. It’s not childish or girly to be concerned with him and his opinion about things because you guys have that type of relationship. You make decisions together. Everything you do affects him and everything he does affects you. And that’s not a bad thing. You know why?” I gulp and he’s closer now and I want him to be right here, holding me. But I know he probably won’t even touch me out in public. He might hold my hand, but that’s it. “Because he loves you more than anything in this world and that’s what happens when you’re in love.”

A few seconds later he’s standing right beside us. Tiny has pulled up a chair beside Teddy and they’re talking low.

“Hey…” He says, looking down at me as I look up at him.

“Hey…”

He doesn’t smile and looks over at Megan, “Hey Megan, how you doin’ girl?”

“I’m alright. Ya know, saving the world one pop star at a time.”

“Rough job.” He laughs low, a deep chuckle.

“Somebody’s gotta do it.”

He looks around to the left and pulls a single chair that was sitting alone in the grass and places it right beside me.

“You’re coming tonight, right?” He says, still talking with Megan, not looking at me. He sits down.

“I’m sitting on the side of the stage with Josh. I’m going to make him dance. It’ll be a fun time for all involved. Well maybe not for him, ‘cause he gets embarrassed easily.”

“That’s still going strong, huh?”

“Yeah, yeah, he hasn’t fucked up yet. So things are good.”

Justin laughs again and I still just stare at him. He hasn’t shaved and his eyes, shaded behind his hat, look tired and dark, but he’s still beautiful to me.

“You guys should come back with us tonight.” Justin says to Megan and then he looks at me. I just keep staring as he asks, “You think that’d be ok?”

“That’d be fun.” I nod.

He puts his hand on my back, just the tips of his fingers, spreading over the center of my spine in a circular motion. I exhale quietly and close my eyes for a moment. It’s a small touch, but it holds more affection in it than anything I’ve felt all day.

“Just promise we won’t get too crazy,” Megan says.

He keeps smiling at me, just this small half smile and he nods over to Megan, “I’m surprised Megan hasn’t beat me up yet.”

“What are you talking about?” She laughs.

He puts his hand on his chest and shakes his head, “You scare my guts, chick. And I know Mere probably just told you how much of a fucktard I am.”

“She actually defended your honor,” I say.

The serious look he had approaching us is gone. Now he looks playful, silly and smiles in the same manner, “Damn, you take this saving pop star thing seriously, don’t you?”

“Yes, I do.” She laughs and then looks at me and says, “But, uh…if you guys are ok…I’m gonna get back to work.” She can tell that right now I need to talk to him. She can tell that she’s helped me out and that I’m so fucking grateful for her.

But I still feel bad that she’s leaving, not because she has to get back to work, but because she knows I want to talk to Justin alone. I barely get to see her, I always get to see Justin. It shouldn’t be this way. It should be the other way around. I should be begging her not to leave. I should be telling Justin to give me some time and space with my best friend.

But I don’t. “I’m sorry.” I say to her as she stands up.

“Mere…” She shakes her head, annoyed at me again for getting down. “Don’t do that. I can probably get to the venue a little after 6, is that ok?”

“Yeah,” I nod and she puts her sunglasses back over her eyes and grabs her drink and purse. “Just call me so I can have your pass and stuff ready. I promise I’ll have my phone on me.”

“Ok. Sounds great! Bye guys…” She waves at Justin and comes over and gives me a small half hug. “Love you,” she says to me and I nod at her and say, “Thanks…”

I watch her walk away. It doesn’t take long for her to stop at a crosswalk and get consumed by a crowd of people. I turn back when I hear Justin sucking on the straw, the liquid couching in the cup that’s now almost empty.

“I’m sorry.” He says and I grab the cup from him and open the top to see if he drank it all. There’s a little left and I use the straw as a spoon. “I’m an asshole and I would have gotten you flowers if I didn’t think it would cause too much of a scene out here.”

I put the cup down and look at him, sucking the liquid off the straw. He’s staring at me with his pitiful, please forgive me stare.

It’s easy and it’s silly and maybe even a little stupid, but I fall in love with him all over again.

Megan’s right. No one else would come after me. No one else would seek me out to fix this.

I put the straw back in the cup and then look around for a second. I glance at Tiny and Teddy and they both have the place on lock down. I can tell by the look in their eyes and the quietness of their conversation.
So I go for it. I lean in. I kiss him right here, turning my head to the side so our hats don’t nudge each other. He kisses me back and I say, “I love you” against his lips.
I feel him sigh, and touch his jaw and stubble, liking the roughness under my fingers.

His hand is on my lower back now and he’s smiling. “We need to get to the venue soon,” he says.

I nod, pull back from him and look down at the table, “I’m sorry we fought.”

“Look at me.” He’s leaning in towards me again, his eyes are bright now, no longer tired or upset or dark. And he’s smiling at me, really smiling. “Can I tell you what I did after I stormed out on you?”

“Do I want to know?” I tease mildly.

“I called a few people, and ya know how I told you we should go on vacation?”

“Yes.”

He looks excited, mischievous, happy. And I haven’t seen this look on his face in a fucking week. It makes my world a little bit brighter and even though I guess that’s a pathetic thing to say, I don’t care. Megan is right, it’s not pathetic because it means that much to me. It doesn’t make me weak, it doesn’t make me dependant on him.

It makes us together. It makes us in love and that makes me stronger than anything I’ve ever known.

“Well, we get done next Tuesday night, right?”

“Yeah,” I drag out.

“That next Sunday, me…” He leans in closer, licks his lips in a sweet, yet seductive way and says in his quiet, soft voice, “…and you are gonna get on a plane and we’re going to this island, and it’s just gonna be me and you.”

I blink at him for a moment trying to register what he just said to me. I know he said he wanted to go on vacation. I had thought Hawaii or something, but he would have said Hawaii.

“This island?”

His hand links with mine that’s resting on my thigh and he runs his long fingers against my own, threading them together. “No security, no mangers, no assistants, no one…just us.”

“What…”

Like a private island? I don’t ask. I look at him and can tell that he’s done something special for us. He’s going to push all this bull shit aside and just be with me and let me be with him, be myself with him.

Part of me was afraid that after this tour, after spending every day together, he’d want a break, he’d need to go spend several weeks in some remote location without me.

But he still wants me with him.

His smile fades and he starts to pull away. “I mean, we don’t…”

I grab his hand so he can’t go anywhere and I smile at him. This is perfect. “Just me and you?”

His smile returns and he explains, “There’s apparently like a staff of 20 people, but it’s me, you, a beach house and tons of sand…” He leans in, his hand moves from mine and goes around my back rubbing me again. He kisses me quickly, “and no. one. else. No one else on the whole island, Meredith.”

“Will you teach me how to surf?” I ask. I don’t know why I care. I don’t know why I think of it in that moment. But I do and the look in his face when I ask it and when he answers, “Yes” lets me know that we’re going to be ok.
Suddenly I’m thrilled, excited, happy. We’re going away and I can clear my head and I can figure myself out, figure me and Justin out, even though I know we’ll be fine. I can figure out this Courtney thing.

I can just figure out what the hell I wanna do…with everything.

“For how long?” I ask.

His smile widens even more, “Until you can’t stand it anymore.”

I bite my lip and lean into him, staring at him, wishing we were back at the hotel, no hats in our way, just us. I’d give anything to lay on him right now, curl up against his body and just be with him. “Do you realize how romantic and perfect you are right now?”

“I’m trying to make up…” He pauses and cringes. “…for everything.”

“You’ve done nothing wrong,” I say.

“Neither have you.” It makes me feel good to hear him say it. I start to believe it, that this is all just a big horrible coincidence and nothing I’ve done or haven’t done has kept it from happening. And I’m going to be ok, we’re going to be ok.

“Come on…” He smiles and sits up from where he’s been leaning into me. “We need to get to the venue. Let’s go back and lay down for a bit and hang out, and then we can leave and do our sound checks and stuff, ok?”

“Ok.” I nod.

“You guys…” We both look over and Teddy is standing up and Tiny is looking around us. I follow his gaze and see a group of teenagers, 30 feet away at a table, their cameras pointed at us, taking pictures. “We need to get going.”

“Yeah, we’re ready,” Justin says, nodding shortly as he stands up. He touches my shoulder and then reaches his hand for mine.

We follow Teddy back to the hotel. Justin holds my hand and walks close to me. We don’t say anything. Tiny follows us and when we get to the hotel about five girls are standing outside of the hotel with pictures and cameras and sharpies. They squeal when they see us and I know Teddy’s about to tell them no autographs, but I tug his shirt and say, “its ok.”

I answer for Justin, but I know it’ll be easier now, to make these few girls happy, then go inside. There will be more of them when we leave for the venue in an hour, probably photographers, too and we probably won’t be able to talk or pause for anyone.

Justin’s quiet as he signs autographs and I take a picture with two of the girls. I give them their camera back and start to turn to follow Teddy into the hotel. One of the girls says, “I’m glad you’re ok Meredith!”

I know what she’s saying. It was in the papers and on Entertainment Tonight. The radio station this morning briefly mentioned it. Everyone knows what happened to me in Philly, even if it took a day or two for it to get out.
It’s something I didn’t think would ever happen to me and part of me still kind of thinks it’s some surreal thing that didn’t really happen. I don’t really feel changed by it. I feel like it was just the thing that pushed all these other buttons and made everything explode. It made everyone and everything just freak out for a day or two.

And now we’re working things out.

Now I’m trying to put everything back in place. And I wish, I fucking wish Courtney would let me know if she wants to be part of this, if she wants to be part of this puzzle I’m trying desperately to fix.

But Megan’s right, it shouldn’t matter because I’m not close to her, and we aren’t friends, and no matter how much I might want her to like me, my happiness is not dependant on it.

When I feel Justin’s hand link with mine, I smile at the girls. I never needed much to make me happy, and I don’t need a lot now.

I’m successful, my family’s great, my friends are great, and my boyfriend is so amazing, at least to me.

And when I smile at the girl and say, “Yeah, I’m ok,” I finally fucking believe it.



Chapter 42 by Mere
Courtney’s room, 10:59 a.m.


She called me at 2 a.m. And I guess, because I was desperately trying to sleep and had finally nodded off, that when the phone rang I was unable to consciously tell myself to ‘let it ring.’ I forgot I was ignoring the world. I picked up the hotel room phone and groggily said hello.

There was a pause and a slightly bitter, slightly relieved laugh on the other end. “So you are alive?”

I was actually surprised it took her that long to call. I had figured she would have found out my number through the front desk the day after I started hiding from…everything. But she waited a few days and I don’t care. I don’t blame her.

She’s got more important things to deal with than me.

She told me she was coming over this morning, today, now, and that if I wanted to chicken out and leave that was my decision but that she wanted to talk to me.

I know she’s going to fire me. And I could have run. But I’m still here, sitting here, smoking again, waiting for her. I guess part of me wants to torture myself for being so stupid about everything. Another part of me wants to give Meredith the satisfaction of letting out her anger on me, ‘cause she deserves it.

‘Cause I’ve deserted her. Maybe I’ve done that from the moment I got here. Maybe I never really committed to this the way I should have.

Another part of me, a small part, is hoping that when she shows up she won’t be angry, she won’t fire me or put me through hell. Part of me hopes she’ll come in here and tell me how much of a mess Trace has been with out me.

I’m a fool. Just a god damn fool.

Nothing more happened than a nervous breakdown. At first I just figured I needed to be by myself and figure this shit out, figure Trace out. I was starting to panic because everything I thought would happen after her being attack: being fired, Justin killing me, everyone else hating me…none of it really happened. Nothing happened at all. Even though I knew something was happening—god, so much shit was happening—and I was left out of it.

And when Trace came down and tried to act like everything was fine and normal, I snapped. He walked away from me. I didn’t expect him to come back for me, but dammit if I wasn’t praying for it. I was too weak to go after him. So I wanted to keep to myself for a day or two, knowing Meredith was traveling and she wouldn’t really need me. She had been doing fine without me since it all happened.

And the more I stayed in my hotel room, chain smoking until I started hacking, drinking a glass of wine to calm down and finding myself with an empty bottle, panicking, hell, fucking crying—and I don’t cry. The more I did these things the easier it was to stay inside. The outside world became scary and hard. And I didn’t have the energy to deal with anything.

I broke down and I don’t know why. I think I’m just going crazy. And I haven’t had the courage to go out there and face any of them since then. So I haven’t.

And no one cared or made the effort to check on me.

There’s a loud knock on the door.

Except now.

I take one last drag from my cigarette, stub it out, get up from the chair I’ve been sitting in all morning and walk over to the door. Maybe I shouldn’t open it. I stare at the door as she knocks again. Maybe, maybe I’ll just go to sleep with my headphones on.

That sounds like a great idea.

“Courtney, I got the key to your room so either you can open it up yourself or I can.”

Fuck.

I open the door.

As always she looks perfect, bubbly, bouncy, not just a pop star but the type of girl you’d want to know and hang out with. The type of girl everyone wants to be in high school. I always despised that girl in high school. Even in jeans and a plain green t-shirt she makes it look fashionable. Even with an annoyed look on her face she looks friendly.

She’s always so fucking friendly.

She holds up the card key in between her fingers and gives me an annoyed look before nudging her way beside me and walking straight into the room like she owns the place.

I don’t know what’s about to happen. There’s a look on her face I’ve rarely seen. It’s not rage, but there’s annoyance there, concern and determination. I’ve never seen that face directed to me. Or maybe I have and I’ve just ignored it.

I have a hard time finding my voice when I close the door and say, “How did you get the key?”

I’ve never been more afraid of someone in my life. And she’s half my size, shorter than me, tiny. But I know she has a lot of power to tear me down and murder me and my esteem right now. Although, I think it’d be hard to get much lower than I am right now.

“The guy at the front desk has a crush on me, and so what? I’m Meredith Craven and you’re my assistant and I desperately needed to see you, anyone would give me the key,” she says in an amused but serious tone. So far every look and every thing she’s said to me has been a weird mix of emotions. It’s like she’s confused of how she feels and how she should react, maybe more than I am.

But that’s impossible.

She takes some of the clothes that are strewn about a chair by the opened balcony and throws them on the floor carelessly. “Oh…”

She plops down in the chair, crosses her legs and arms and stares right at me. I’m still standing there near the door, staring back at her.

“So, how’s your vacation been?”

I close my eyes and walk to the bed and sit down on the edge of it, looking down at my lap. “Please don’t…”

“Don’t what?” she says bitterly, and when I look back up at her she’s uncrossed her body and is leaning forward, glaring at me. “Have an attitude? I think I have the right. Dammit Courtney! I want to come in here and hear some amazing, legitimate reason for you cutting yourself off, for fucking leaving me out by myself when I needed you the most, for fucking putting stress on me and Teddy when we didn’t need it. I’m willing to hear whatever reason you have….”

I say nothing. And in that moment I know I’m sealing my fate. If she had any ounce of pity for me, I know now it’s gone. I shouldn’t expect her to care about me when I’ve done nothing to help her, especially since all this shit has happened to her.

It pretty much comes down to the fact that I’m selfish and I failed at my job. And I really wish she’d just come out and tell me I was fired instead of stringing all this bull shit along.

“But I’m pretty sure it’s not gonna be a good reason, so please….what the fuck happened?”

Now that someone is finally asking me, really giving me the opportunity to explain myself, I feel weak and used. I’m so pathetic right now and hell, I don’t blame her for being annoyed with me.

I’m annoying the hell out of myself.

“I just needed to be alone.”

I realize how ridiculous I am when she just stares at me for a minute. No, more like two minutes, her mouth slightly opened, just staring.

I wish I could say more. I wish I could give her a better answer than that, but I can’t. She wouldn’t understand if I told her I was panicking, if I told her I have problems or that issues were coming back to me, issues that I thought I was done with, over—issues that I didn’t want to deal with again.

She wouldn’t understand it if I told her I wasn’t happy.

Finally, she shakes her head and says, “Ya know, Megan is so right. I am too fucking nice. Some man attacks me and you decide to go off on your own and not even care about it…”

I interrupt because that’s not the truth, far, far from the truth, “I do care—“

But she cuts me off, talking with her hands, being a little dramatic, but I guess she has the right to be that way, “…and here I am making the effort. At first I just let you be, and then when I found out even Trace hadn’t seen you, I started to worry about you, thinking maybe someone attacked you, too, someone got you, too. But I found out from the hotel and other people that had seen you lurking around that you were staying here still. I didn’t know what to do. I’m fucking trying to be a good person, a nice friend and give you the space you need. I’m fucking making the effort, Courtney. If you needed time off and didn’t want to tell me why, that’s fine…but you should have at least said something to me or Angie, or someone.”

“I’m sorry.” It’s all I can say. And the age old line “sorry isn’t good enough” keeps playing over and over in my mind and I keep waiting for her to say it back to me, but she doesn’t.

I am really sorry, but I know right now all I seem like to her is a pathetic little girl, sitting here frowning, not even trying. I’m just too damn tired to try.

“And if you’re doing this because you’re scared of Justin or you don’t like him or hate him, then I think it’s really immature to take it out on me. He’s my boyfriend, I’m in love with him, but that doesn’t mean that I’m some enemy of yours.”

I roll my eyes. Of course she has to bring him up. Of course I can’t go a moment without someone bringing him up. I sit up a little and run my hands through my hair, “That’s not what’s going on, ok?”

“Then what’s going on!” She yells and it kind of shocks me for a moment.

She looks sad, picks at her nails and then sighs. And I really, truly do feel like the biggest bitch in the world.

“Ya know he wanted to give you a chance. He said after this had happened he was hoping that you would come through and prove him wrong, but all you’re doing is confirming every fucking suspicion Justin had about you. I don’t want to believe it. I want to keep telling Justin he needs to stop being paranoid. ‘Cause I can’t deal with him being right about that, about my fucking assistant being some bitch. I don’t like calling people that, but damn if you haven’t acted like one this past week.”

Even though she’s 100% correct, hearing her say that hurts. Even though I know I deserve it, I immediately get defensive and cross my arms over my chest.

When I say, “Ok, I’m fucking sorry! I get it,” I know I’m acting like a child, and ya know what? I really don’t care. She’s acted like one numerous times on this tour, ya know?

“Do you really get it?” I look at her and she just stares right back at me. I feel like she’s my mother, like I’ve done something horrible, like failed a grade and she’s berating me about it. Not just disciplining me, but making sure that I feel as low as possible. “Do you understand that I was laying on a couch and some fucking psycho got on top of me, tried to kiss me, fucking pulled me down onto the floor and tried to…to…” She chews her lip for a moment. “C-could have…”

She stops talking and presses her palms into her eyes. I hear her take a deep breath. It’s clear she’s better but still very shook up about it, and it will probably take her a while to get over it. I can’t imagine how I would react if it were me, if some man tried to do that to me. I don’t know the level of safety Meredith feels in her life, if she feels more secure than normal people because of all the security around her or less than normal people because of her high public status. Either way, whatever level of comfort she had before this happened was knocked out and violently shaken around, and she’s trying her hardest to get back to it.

And I feel horrible. I feel as low as possible. I feel like I should hunch down under the bed, because I know how bad she’s hurting and I feel like I’ve let her down.

I did let her down.

“Of all the fucking times in my life when I needed someone, that was it, this is it…this is when I need someone to take care of my stuff so that I can try to figure out what the hell is going on in my life. The one fucking time on this tour when I’ve really needed you and only you, Courtney, when I didn’t care if you liked me or hated me or wanted to be friends with me; the one time I really wanted you to do your job and be my assistant you fucking vanished on me.”

She needed me. I figured she would want space, but I know that’s a lie. I know she needed me then, but my pride and my fear got in the way. I didn’t want to be blamed for anything, I didn’t want anyone interrogating me any more than the police officers did. But I should have sucked it up, because my damn pride isn’t as important as the well being of Meredith and her career.

“I know, it was my fault.”

She shakes her head and wipes her eyes a little bit, “It wasn’t your fault he got in there, Courtney. It was a lot of peoples fault. No one could have known that guy was going to do that. You didn’t even know I was in the dressing room. I don’t care about that. I don’t care. I care about the fact that, that you really don’t give a shit about me, do you?”

I stare at her and she keeps talking, her voice now shaky, panicked, “And ya know, if in that moment it was too much for you to handle, if you were like, ‘whoa I can’t handle this and I don’t wanna be apart of this if people get attacked’ or whatever, fine; but have the nerve to tell me so that I get Angie here or Megan or someone to help me out. I had to make Teddy take the reigns, and he’s already fucking paranoid about everything and security has been beefed up. I just don’t understand why you didn’t just tell me you couldn’t handle it. That’s all you had to do.”

I feel like utter shit and I realize that I should have done that. I should have talked to her and told her that I was breaking down—that as dumb as it is, I was scared. But I didn’t want to say that to her and have her think I was weak, that I couldn’t handle this drama when it didn’t even happen to me. I didn’t want to tell a woman who had just been attacked that I wasn’t able to handle it, that I was scared.

But the sad thing is, I know now, and I knew then, that Meredith’s too nice and sweet of a girl. If I had gone to her with this and told her, she would have immediately put herself and her own drama aside, she’d put the fucking fact some stranger got on top of her and god knows what he wanted to do to her, she’d put that aside and ask me what was wrong, ask me how she could help.

And she wouldn’t have been able to help, because my fucking petty ass drama is just me being weak and stupid. And I couldn’t admit that to her. I couldn’t admit to a woman who was just attacked that I couldn’t handle making phone calls and hanging out with her because I was freaking out about people not liking me and that my stupid relationship was falling apart.

Everyone else was there for her. Everyone else was concerned with her and careful with her and a friend to her, and what do I do? I panic and hide.

I’m so lame. And it makes me despise who I’ve let myself become.

There’s no one to blame here. It doesn’t matter that I took this job and got in this weird relationship with Trace. It doesn’t matter that Justin hates me. It doesn’t matter that Meredith and I have clashed. None of it does. I let myself become this person and I can’t stand it.

“I panicked,” I finally say. “I figured I would just give you and everyone else some space for a day or two, let you figure out all this and calm down from what happened. But then when Trace and I broke up or whatever, I just…I fucking lost it. I didn’t want to be blamed for you getting hurt. I fucking failed at my job. I realized that that’s all I have left in my life, my job. Me and Trace are doomed for failure, I know this. I know once the tour is over he’ll move on from me. And all I have is this job, is being your assistant and I’ve failed, and it’s like fucking déjà vu to me. I’m losing the job I love and the man I…”

She laughs distantly and shakes her head, “But you don’t love this job, Courtney. The only time I’ve ever seen you happy was after you’ve spent the night on the bus with Trace, or when you’re about to go hang out with him. If he hadn’t been on this tour, you wouldn’t be happy. And I fail to believe that you, someone as strong and independent as you would let Justin make you that miserable. When I first met you I thought you were so…” She shakes her head and stares at me. “Shit girl, you intimidated the hell out of me, Courtney. I thought you had it all together and now, I don’t even know who you are. I don’t know what you like, what you don’t like, I don’t know anything about you or your family and we just spent the last four months together, almost everyday. That says something!”

“I have a hard time opening up to people.” I shrug.

“Then why did you let the one person you did open up to walk away from you?”

I look at her and narrow my eyes at her. I know what she’s talking about but I don’t want to let my mind wander that way. I get depressed when it wanders that way, “What?”

“You can sit here and say you love this job, but you don’t. You love the idea of this job. You fucking love Trace. And you just let him go, you pushed him away!”

I blink at her, shocked. Why the hell is she bringing up Trace? She knows nothing about what’s going on with me and him. I doubt he’s told Justin, well maybe he has…I don’t know.

“Yeah…” She shrugs and smiles at me. “We’ve talked. In fact, last night after the show, Megan and Josh came up again and we were all talking and drinking a little and Josh and Justin were playing some stupid video game and Megan was falling asleep on the couch and I ended up talking to Trace. He’s one of the main reasons I’m here right now. He’s the reason I called you last night. He fucking broke down to me, Courtney and I just couldn’t handle it anymore.”

I can’t stop staring at her and I can feel my eyes watering. I look away and rub my forehead. Dammit, she can’t say this to me. She can’t let me know that…that he maybe misses me.

I’ve wanted to hear it, but she can’t just say that to me.

I swallow the lump in my throat and look up at her and she rolls her eyes. I can tell she’s annoyed that I’m crying and breaking down right now.

She laughs bitterly again and shakes her head, “I was the one who fucking was attacked, who’s performed my ass off every night, who’s had to deal with a neurotic boyfriend and a wishy-washy assistant! I’m the one who’s having to pull everyone together, to keep everyone in check. I know people look at me and think I’m just some bubbly immature little girl, but I’ve never felt more like a mother the past few months. Always keeping everyone’s shit in check and having to deal with my own, by myself in the process.”

“Meredith…” I say and I realize now that she’s going to make me say it over and over until the words really do have no more meaning. But I can’t take it anymore, my nerves and my feelings are so fucking shot and I just need this to be over with. “I’m sorry. I don’t know what else to say. I know I fucked up. I know I’m fired. So just get it over with.”

There’s a pause and she starts to laugh a little. “I’m not firing you.”

“You’re not?”

“No…” She glares at me and gives me a questioning look. “You’re quitting.”

“…excuse me?”

She looks at me like she’s shocked and shakes her head, “You quit your job the minute you gave up on it. You’ve cut your life off, me, Trace, everyone. You’ve hid in here and tried to ignore everything.”

I nod and look down at the floor again. “Ok.”

“That’s it? You’re not even going to fight it?” I look up at her and she’s now standing up, walking over to me. She pushes my shoulder and I have to put my hand down on the mattress so I don’t fall backwards. She’s glaring at me, pissed off now. She just…she just pushed me! “What the fuck is wrong with you Courtney? Who the hell are you? What happened to the girl I first met who didn’t take no for an answer and was bad ass and knew what she wanted and was sure of herself?”

I calm down from the fact that she pushed me like a child would and I laugh quietly.


“She doesn’t exist.”

“Dammit girl…” Suddenly she’s sitting beside me. Part of me is shocked that she’s sitting there, her hand now on my back, being, I don’t know, friendly and comforting. But part of me knows this is just how she is. I don’t think Meredith stays mad at people very long. She’s right, she is too nice. “You can’t let some asshole from your past keep you down. You can’t let every little snag that happens turn you into this. Things happen, you use it to better yourself, but you’re doing the opposite. You’re hiding from everything because of shit that’s happened to you. You know that’s not the way to solve things, but you don’t care cause you’d rather give up than try.”

I don’t really know how she knows all this shit unless Trace has told her. I haven’t really opened up to her about my past relationships so I’m assuming that’s the case. Dammit. Trace broke down to her and now she’s trying to get us back together, and while I’m thankful for that, I don’t know what to do with it. I kind of want her out of my business and out of my personal life.

But I guess that’s the thing about this career that I forgot, that I never really realized, even in the beginning. You can not be professional when your title is “personal assistant”. I should have known that from the start. I should have known I was going to have to open up to people and I was going to have to let her open up to me as well, and not complain about that.

“I’m tired of trying,” I say and rub my hands over my face. “All I ever do is try and nothing works.”

“Courtney…” She sighs and pulls her hand off my shoulder and turns so she’s facing me, her one leg bent against the bed and hooked behind her other leg that’s dangling off the bed. “Look, I want you to be happy and if that’s not here, not at this job, fine. The only thing that made you happy on this tour was Trace and you let him go, you pushed him away and now you’re heartbroken. I get it. I just didn’t know you guys were this deep ya know, in love and stuff.”

I shake my head. “We weren’t.”

That’s what sucks so bad about this. We weren’t that deep, we weren’t in love. We just fucked around. Yeah, I was having those feelings. Maybe I did trick myself into thinking I loved him and maybe somewhere I thought he loved me.

But I know now that was all a joke, just one huge fucking joke put on me.

She laughs and shakes her head, staring at me until I’m forced to look back at her. “Yes you were. No...” She points and smiles a little. “You still are, both of you are just…”

I look back down at the floor and just stare at it. I’m starting to feel numb from this whole situation. I wish she would have just fired me so I could have gone home. Home…ha, I don’t even really know where that is. Sure I have that place in LA, but it doesn’t feel like mine. I’ve barely even lived there.

“Dammit Courtney…” She’s pissed off again and stands off the bed and points at me. “If you don’t turn this around now you’re gonna regret it your whole life. Giving up isn’t the way the world works, but you can do it! You can throw up your hands, sit in your hole and not care, but if you really want to make something of your life you have to try, even if it fails.”

I shake my head at her and say, “You’re right, and I know this Meredith. But I just…”

She rolls her eyes. “You won’t let yourself go back to him and admit you were wrong.”

I shrug. Maybe that’s the reason. That’s what I hate so much about this, that’s why I’m so numb, because I don’t know why I did what I did. I don’t know why I freaked out and panicked. I don’t know why I pushed him away. There are a million little reasons but all of them don’t add up, and all of them don’t make it justified.

That’s the thing. I fucked up. I acted ridiculous and instead of taking a breath, saying I’m sorry and sucking it up and going about my day and my life and my job…I fucking hid from everything and everyone.

“Maybe, maybe it is as simple as pride. I let a man become my life before and I let go of my pride and he made me feel like a fool.”

“Ok, so what?” I just look at her. “You and I both know that Trace wouldn’t do that to you. You and I both know that Trace has been more hurt than either of us really understand.”

I hate to admit that she’s right. I hate to think that I keep blaming my life on what I let some asshole do to me a year ago, when we weren’t even engaged, when a wedding wasn’t even planned. Trace had it deeper and stronger than I did. Back then I was a lost little girl that hung onto everything that this guy said and did. I’m not that way with Trace, and I never have been. I’m stronger now.

But maybe it did bother me that the only thing that was making me happy in my life was him.

And I swore to myself I would never let a man be the reason I was happy again. But maybe that’s not a bad thing. Maybe being in a relationship with someone can make you happy and turn you around.

And if you fuck up that relationship you can be left sitting here feeling sorry for yourself if you are as weak as I am. I hate that. I hate realizing how weak I really am—how my whole fucking life I’ve put on his barrier, this mask of being a strong woman when really all I am is a little girl waiting, praying for someone to like me.

“I guess that is a problem I have. I always assume that I’ve been through more shit than everyone else, that my problems are these things that I’ve dealt with and moved on from, but in reality I haven’t dealt with them, and in reality they are nothing compared to other people’s. And maybe, maybe that’s what happened with you…” She just stares at me and her eyes turn from concern to a little worry, and then she ends up looking down at the floor like I’ve been.

“Ya know, you fucking thought you were pregnant and I looked down on you for being so insecure about it. I looked down on you for being so open with Justin and not caring who sees you with him, not caring how expressive you are with him. Maybe me thinking that way was a way for me not to be so jealous of how easy you were able to be in love with him without any worries.”

She keeps looking down and says softly, “Courtney, this isn’t about me and Justin or really about me and you anymore. This is about you and Trace.”

She’s right. And I bow my head and feel tears come to the corners of my eyes. I’ve never in my life felt more lost than I do right now.

“What the hell am I going to do?”

“Take a moment, take a few hours. And then go after him. This is the last night, Courtney. Tomorrow I fly back home, we all do.”

“I don’t even know what or where home is right now,” I say. I’m crying now, hard. I feel pathetic and stupid.

I’m supposed to be stronger than crying. I shouldn’t cry. I shouldn’t be this girly. But I fucking am. And honestly, it feels good to let this out. I feel so lost but she’s so right. This can all be fixed easy if I just go for it.

But I’m too fucking scared to go for it.

“I’m giving you the next month and a half off. I won’t be around, I won’t need you at all. Go figure yourself out. Figure you and Trace out and I’ll call you when I get back from my trip with Justin, and if you want to still be my PA and if you still really wanna work hard at it, we’ll talk about it. And if you realize this isn’t where you want to be, I’ll understand. It’s ok to quit Courtney, but it’s not ok to give up.”

“Aren’t they the same thing?” I ask, wiping at my eyes.

Suddenly she’s sitting by me again and she’s hugging me, her head on my shoulder.

I never thought after all the bull shit I’ve put her through, of making her feel bad, of making myself feel better by looking down on her, by leaving her when she needed me the most that’d she’d be here comforting me.

I never thought that she’d actually fucking be my friend.

“Maybe…” She pulls back a little bit and looks at me like my mother did when I was little, but not because I did something wrong, but because she cares for me and wants the best for me. “But I have more respect for people who admit they can’t do something, to quit something they realize they aren’t ready or right for. People who just give up and don’t try, well that’s just not ok, not in this business and definitely not in relationships.”

“I really wanted to be good at this,” I say harshly.

“And you were Courtney, you just…life gets in the way sometimes. I think you have the ability to be a brilliant PA, but maybe not with me, or maybe in a different arena, or maybe you just need to sort some stuff out with yourself before you take this path.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you. I’m sorry for hurting your feelings.”

“You didn’t…” She starts to say, and I know she doesn’t want to talk about this anymore. But I have to apologize. I have to.

“Yeah, I did. Every time you tried to include me or be interested in my life and I cut you off, I hurt your feelings. I am sorry about that ‘cause you’re a sweet girl, Meredith. You deserve all the best and you are a good friend.”

“Ok, I’m getting annoyed.” She pulls away and stands up and I just stare at her as she rolls her eyes and then breaks out in a smile. “I feel like we’re at high school graduation or something.”

It makes me laugh for just a moment. It’s the only thing that’s made me smile in a fucking week.

She suddenly pulls her phone out, looks at it, smiles and I know what that means.

“You leaving?”

She nods. “Yea, Justin just texted me. We’re going to the venue early. He wants to…” She cuts herself off and lifts her eyes from her phone to me for a moment and then blushes and looks back down at her phone. She was rambling, like normal, saying what was running through her mind. She cringes a little as she stares at me, “Never mind.”

“What?”

“You…” She blushes some more and then laughs. “Really, you do not wanna know. Let’s just say he’s getting all sentimental and wants to do…” She giggles and starts pressing buttons on her phone, texting him back, I guess. “…everything one last time.”

I nod and say, “Have fun.”

Suddenly she’s got her phone in one hand and my hand in the other, swinging it a little bit. “Courtney, come to the venue tonight. Or at least go see Trace. You know where his room is. He might have an attitude at first, he might be a little harsh, but all he wants in this whole world is for you to come talk to him. I promise you you’ll make up and be happy and it’ll be great.”

I shrug, even though I know it will take a huge force to get me out of this room today and tonight. “Maybe…”

“Be happy Courtney,” she sighs. “You have one of the nicest, most fun men on the planet head over heels for you. You get paid really well, you now have time off—Hello!—Paid time off for the next month and you can figure out what you want, and you’ve got me and Angie and you know we’d give you great recommendations if you want to go anywhere else.”

Dammit, I was doing ok there for a second when she was talking about herself and now I’m back to frowning again and my eyes burn. “I’ve fucked up too much to be happy.”

“Everyone fucks up in their life Courtney, everyone. Almost every day I do something stupid that I wish I hadn’t done. Several times a year I’ll do something major that’s huge and stupid and that I hate and get bummed about. But I don’t dwell on it. I don’t sit around and get depressed about it. I’m not perfect and I freak out easily and get frustrated easily, but I try not to let the bad shit in my life over take all the good. You could have a great life Courtney, you just gotta grab it!”

Her phone starts playing one of Justin’s songs and she rolls her eyes and smiles and brings it to her ear. “Yeah, I know. I’m coming…” She gasps and her mouth drops for a second, but she’s still smiling. “Oh my god, you perv! Yes…” Her voice gets quiet, she turns from me, but I can still see the expressions in her face through the mirror. She’s biting her lip as she says, “Stop it…Justin I know. Yes! Kay…” She’s smiling and I can see the excitement in her face. “You too…”

I felt that excitement with Trace. I was able to hide it more than Meredith. But dammit I could feel it when he called me and looked at me.

I want to feel it again.

“I gotta go, ” she says, breathing deep and sliding her phone back into her jean’s pocket. “Cheer up, seriously.” She laughs a little and waves her hand in the air. “We got the apologizes out of the way, you’re off the hook job wise and we can figure it out later, everything else is up to you now.”

“Yeah…” I say, nodding distantly. Maybe she’s right. Maybe I should come out tonight, just go for it, see what he will do. Maybe he’ll want to talk. Maybe him talking with Meredith about this is a good sign. Maybe we will work out.

Maybe I’ll be able to give into myself and act like Meredith does and not care so much about every other little thing in the world.

Maybe I’ll just sit here and smoke some more.

“Ugh, you don’t look any better than you did when I first came in.”

I look up and she’s by the doorway staring at me with her head cocked to the side and her hand on her hip.

“Meredith…” I shake my head, and force myself to stand up. I smile at her. It’s forced and I know she knows that, but at least I’m trying now. “Go hang out with Justin. Stop worrying about me, I’m…” I sigh and force myself to say it and to try and believe it. “I’ll be fine.”

She shrugs a little and waves, and soon the door clicks shut and she’s gone.

I try to believe it, but I do a very poor job of convincing myself that I am “fine.”

But she’s right. I have to fucking try. ‘Cause if I just give up now, if I give up on him, I don’t know what will happen to me.

I used to look down on her for being so dependent on Justin, but damn, I’m more dependent than she is. I need Trace, he’s…he’s all I got.

And even if all this is doomed to fail, if all this crumbles at my feet, I should let him know that. I should let him know how much he means to me, how much I need him and want him in my life.

God, I should just…just go out there and do it.

I should at least try.
Chapter 43 by Mere

2:30 pm, somewhere in the Caribbean


I swim to the surface and search for my board. The rope is tugging against my ankle and I swim over to the cream plank and let my arms rest on it and my body float beside it. I breathe deep. That was a nice ride, the wipe out was brutal but I was up for a good while. The surf here kind of sucks, but today has been nice, bigger waves, but still smooth, calm ocean behind it.


I look around and search for my girl. She finally got up on the board today, after yesterday of her never finding her balance and getting frustrated and sitting in her beach chair, pouting. It was cute. She stood up on the board for about two seconds today before falling. But when she came out of the water she was laughing and pleased with herself.


It’s only been three days and it’s fucking…amazing.


Ha, and there’s been some amazing fucking. She’s so hot and like I know our sex life is pretty awesome, but it kind of slowed down there near the end of tour after all that shit happened. But it’s back on track now. And it’s…incredible. She’s just so carefree and happy. She’s so relaxed and comfortable and so am I.


I haven’t felt this way in a while. Mere always puts me at ease, but being out here with no one else around and nothing to do, it’s just…perfect.


“Justin?”


I turn and look around and see her straddling her board, behind where the waves are breaking, blocking the sun from her eyes with her hand above her eyebrows. She’s looking for me. I brought my board down here but had to find her one. Luckily they already had some here at the house, but she probably needs one a little smaller and lighter for her height and weight class, that might be one of the reasons she’s struggled so much with it.


“Hey!” I call out and she turns and smiles at me.


Shit, that smile gets to me. I grin to myself and paddle over towards her, still using my board as a float. She looks too damn good in that black and white polka dot bikini. I want to rip it off of her and have her right now, but I know she’s probably not into it right now. Probably more worried that a fish is going to bite her feet that are dangling in the water.


I kick my feet and paddle closer to her and say when I get near, “Did you see me?”


“Why can’t I be good like that?” She immediately pouts and brings herself down against the board, laying flat on it as the water bobs her up and down a little. I push myself up on my board and straddle it like she was and look down at her.


“Baby I’ve been surfing for almost five years now. You started yesterday.”


“Still…” She turns her head away from me and I grab onto her board because I’m starting to float away from her. I hear her mumble loudly, “I’m tired, too.”


“You wanna go back in?” I put my hand on her back. Damn her ass looks so cute and tanned in her little bikini. The ties are right there, ready for me to pluck her and get her naked.


“I’m afraid if I stay like this I’ll fall asleep and be lost at sea,” she says, still speaking away from me.


“Now we can’t have that.”


She has yet to lay out naked with me. She claims it would burn her inappropriately and that some of the staff might see. But I know that’s bull shit ‘cause yesterday we fucked out on the patio. I was sitting in one of the chairs in some shorts and she came out in just a towel. She sat on top of me, facing the ocean, and we did it that way. All I had to do was kiss her neck and hold her and whisper a few little things to her, and her towel was loosened and hanging off of her, I was pulling my dick out of my shorts and she was sliding down on me. It was so hot, me reaching around to hold her breasts, moving my hand down to touch her down there, feeling us move together. It was slow, just me in side of her and her rocking slowly on me, moaning and sighing and leaning against me as I kissed her shoulders.


It was hot, but it was romantic, too, watching the sun set while we did it.


I’ve never felt this way with a girl before, this carefree. I want to feel this way always. Maybe we can just live here and never go back. I know that’s impossible, but damn if it’s not turning into my dream. I thought I had accomplished all my goals and gotten most everything I had ever wanted. And now, with her here and no one else around and just us, I know I want more. I want more of her, every fucking day.


“You can stay out here,” she says turning her head towards me and pushing herself up a bit on her board, leaning up on her arms, her legs and feet still dangling in the water a little. Her breasts are round and perky in her top, spilling a little bit over the bra part of the suit. I want to kiss her skin there. She nods towards the beach where our house is nestled and I look up at her squinted eyes, “I’m just gonna go nap under the cabana I think.”


“I’ll go in with you. I probably don’t need to get any more sun today, anyway.” I got burnt a little the first day on my face and shoulders and back, and she teased me calling me Red Lobster all day, but the burn is turning into tanned skin now and I think she likes it. I wake up in the mornings and I’ll feel her fingertips grazing over my skin. She’s always been an affectionate girl, but since we’ve been down here it’s like she can’t keep her hands off me.


And I do not mind.


She keeps laying there on her board and I can’t help myself; I move my hand over the dip in her back, over that little tattoo of hers, and push my fingers underneath the material of her wet bottoms. I squeeze her cool, damp, bare skin there and she doesn’t mind. So I move my hand down against the back of her thighs and rub her there, and then move my hand up and up...


“Hey stop!” she says, twisting her body and looking at me with narrowed eyes. Dammit, I didn’t get to touch her where I wanted.


“I’m not doing anything.” I grin at her and she rolls her eyes.


But she’s smiling and that is promising.


“Yes you are,” she whines.


I just laugh and start pushing her board and I pat her ass so she’ll know we need to start paddling in. “Come on…”


We paddle towards the sand and a wave carries her further in than I. By the time I’m standing up and walking out of the surf she’s got her board under her arm and it’s pushing her over a little bit. I know it’s heavy and she’s probably struggling with it.


But I can’t help but find her all cute, ass swaying as she walks, tanned and tiny, sexy as hell. I’d love to just bend her over right now and...


I smirk to myself and say, “Hey baby, hold up, you got something on your back.”


“What?” She stops, turns and looks over her shoulder at me. I smile and walk up to her as she lets her board fall to the ground. I set my board down gently on the sand and pretend to wipe across her back like she has sand on it or something. There’s nothing there, I just need an excuse to touch her, to tease her.


I quickly pull at the strings across the center of her back and watch as her eyes widen from where she’s looking at me over her shoulder. Her arms reach behind her for a second and then cross in front of her as her bikini top loosens around her breasts. “Oh my god, Justin!”


I bite my lip and pull at her hips. “Told ya I’d get you naked out here with me.”


“Asshole!” She smacks my shoulder and uses one hand to hold her top over her breasts, but it’s no use, one is free and I can see her hard nipple. I’m so fucking turned on right now.


I laugh and pull her close to me. “Come here...” Her hot, almost naked body against mine feels so good and I keep our fronts pressing and move to pull her top from around her neck and drop it on top of my board. Damn, her skin feels amazing, warm and wet, smooth and soft, just perfect. I touch her back and move my hands down to her ass, squeezing it.


“Just for that you have to take my board in.” She pouts. But she’s holding me back and making sure our fronts are pressed.


I know she can feel me. She likes feeling up on me.
I smirk at her and lean in to kiss her neck lightly. “I figured you wouldn’t lug it in anyway.”


“Stop…” She sighs and I kiss her cheek.


“Stop what?” I kiss her, opening my mouth and tasting her. Her lips taste salty but her mouth is sweet and I lap up the flavor eagerly. I push my crotch into her front.

I’m getting harder by the second and I would love to just have her right here in the sand and sun.


She pulls away breathless, her mouth opened, breathing out against my lips, “That...”


“I can’t help it you make my dick hard.” I move my hand over her head and pull some of her wet hair off her forehead. Her eyes close and she’s squeezing her body close to me, her nipples still hard and puckered against my torso.


I lean down and kiss her ear sweetly and whisper, even though I could say it loud and no one would hear, “You want it, right here in the sun…” I push her bikini bottom out of the way and grab at the skin of her ass. I’d love to hike her up against me right now, have her straddle my front and I could just lean against the sand and do her slow but rough, thrusting into her and making her back arch with every movement, having her hold on to me, grab at me, pulling me against her all hard. “…in the fucking sand, Mere.”


“Stop…” I push against her harder and move my hand from her ass to her hip, pulling at the strands.


“No!” She pulls back and I can see her brown, puckered nipples staring at me, her breasts heavy and round, a serious look on her face, but a smile in her eyes. I need her. “I’ll get sand in my cootchie and that’s gross.”


I laugh at her and she moves to turn, but I grab her hips and pull her back against me. Her ass is against my crotch, fitting against my hard-on, sliding perfectly against the curve. I touch her breasts, holding them in my hands and say in her ear, “It wasn’t gross three days ago.”


The first day we got here was breathtaking. We looked around. We were introduced to the staff, showed around and shown all the amenities. And then we went for a walk on the beach. It was cloudy that day, threatening to rain and we walked around the island, about a mile around in total and got to this little section where the beach is short and the palm trees hang over it almost to the ocean. Mere wanted to sit down and just watch the waves so we did. It was quiet. She was in shorts and a tank top and I had taken off my shirt and just had on my shorts. We sat out there for an hour.


Then she leaned in to kiss me. And we started kissing. And we kissed some more. We didn’t speak a word. It was the first time we had sex down here, and we didn’t say a word. I laid her down on our clothes and did her slow and soft and we just kept kissing and kissing.

Afterward she was all smiles and blushes and hung onto me as we walked back to the house in sandy clothes. She kept giggling and whispering, “We did it in the sand! I’ve never done it outside.”


And from that moment it was on—me and her, kisses and touches and sexy little moments all through out the days. It’s only been three fucking days. Only. And they’ve been some of the best days…ever.


“Stop it!” she says finally after she was really getting into it, into me and our kissing. She was moaning as I touched her and kissed her neck. But I started to move my hand down, in between and down, and she stopped me. Damn…


“Seriously…” She pushes me away and distances herself, putting a good five feet in between us. “I’m going inside.”


I just laugh and watch as she runs up the beach to the house, holding her breasts in her hands as she goes.


I lean down and pick up my board and hers and throw her bikini top over my shoulder and let it hang there. I manage to get the two boards under both my arms and walk up towards the house. Mere’s disappeared inside I guess, and I lean the boards up against the back porch and walk over to the outdoor shower that’s still dripping from where she must have rinsed off her feet. I do the same with mine and then walk up the stone steps to the back porch and grab one of the towels stacked neatly by the staff this morning when they came to give us breakfast. I take her little bikini top and dangle it from the railing of the porch, smirking to myself.


It’s a gorgeous house, even more amazing that everyone described it. It’s small, but gorgeous, a villa with opened windows and walls. The living room and kitchen looks out over the ocean and a small spiral staircase takes you upstairs to the bathroom with a double headed shower and a Jacuzzi bath. The bedroom is up there, too, with partitions of the walls that can be opened or closed. There’s a balcony with a hammock and a small table, and you can look out over the ocean and almost see the nearest island if you squint hard enough. The sun sets right in front of us every night.


It’s amazing. And much, much needed. It’s the perfect little hideaway. The weather has been fantastic, all sun and only a few clouds. Nothing can mess this up.

Nothing. I don’t even have my cell phone with me. I left it at home. The only one with the number to this place is Johnny and I gave it to Trace at the last minute. I don’t know why, and I know he won’t use it.


I guess in a way I do care about him and his break up, or whatever, more that I’d like to think. He’s messed up and I hate seeing him hurt like this. Especially over her.


I left the dogs with Trace as a favor and he was willing to do it. I think it’ll give him company and get his mind off all this bull shit. I know he’s messed up over all this.

I’ve kept myself open to him and let him know I’m here if he wants to talk. But he doesn’t want to talk, and I know this is my fault, that I put that barrier between us. Honestly, I want to help him through this, in whatever way I can, but I know that won’t happen. I know he’ll hold it inside.


And it sucks that I’ve done this to our friendship and that I’ve put this block in front of us. I just hope we can get out of it. And I hope he can get over Courtney. I hate seeing him upset and hurt. I know Meredith went and talked to Courtney before the tour was over, but I never saw Courtney after that man attacked Mere. I know she was around, but I never saw her and I was glad of it. And I hope, as selfish as this is, that she takes Mere’s encouragement and just quits and figures herself out. I just, I’ve never been more stressed out about someone who didn’t even really matter to me than I have with her. Somehow every problem I had with my girl or with my best friend ended up involving her somehow and that’s not how it should be.


Me and Trace have been best friends since we were kids and it’s not going to change.


And this, this should just be about me and Mere, like it is now. She’s not involved in this.


It was weird, that last night on tour, finally really realizing that that was the last night Trace would be on tour with me. Sure, I know he’ll come out and party all the time in the future, but it was weird. Megan and her boyfriend were there and even though I wanted to spend that night with my girl, flirting and shit, I also wanted her to have a great time doing whatever she wanted. We all went out to a club and she danced forever with Megan. I got to dance with her a little, but mainly I sat and talked with Trace and we opened up a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. We both felt like men sitting there drinking scotch and it made me feel like I was home again, though back home we’d drink beer or Jack and sit at a bar or outside.

But it really made me feel like I wasn’t in middle school or some bull shit. It was like I wasn’t having the same damn problems with my best friend anymore. For the first time all summer I didn’t feel so fucking immature. I realize now that that’s how I’ve felt all summer, like some whiny little boy.


Suddenly Trace and I were just friends again and nothing mattered, not any girl or weird thing that had happened, not him quitting as my PA…


It was back to normal. And it was great.


We took the party back to me and Mere’s room and she and Megan and Josh got in the bed. At first I was pissed that she kind of kicked me out, but then I saw how knocked out she was and how she was curled up on one end and Megan was laying half on Josh on the other end.


I wanted to lay with her. It was two in the morning, she was asleep and I was still awake and drunk with Trace. We called up Marty and went out onto this little terrace outside of the bedroom and smoked up a little. We even convinced Tiny and Teddy to come out and take a hit with us. It was the first time I had gotten high in so long.
It felt nice.


After a while, Mere even came out there. She had gotten up to get water and pee and saw us out there and sat with us. At first I was afraid she would be pissed that I was smoking, but she sat in my lap and leaned against me and shook her head ‘no’ when Marty asked her if she wanted to try it. It was really nice, being able to hold her and get a little high with my friends. They didn’t mind that she was out there sitting with me and she didn’t mind that I was smoking with my friends.


She fell asleep on top of me, curled up to me, and luckily I was in this lounge chair that reclined so I pushed us back and held her.


I don’t remember anything after that. I guess I fell asleep, but I woke up that next morning with the sounds of an early, way too early New York morning blaring so many stories down below us. A blanket had been thrown over us but she felt cold.


I carried her inside and laid with her on the couch, but I couldn’t go back to sleep. It was a nice way to end the tour, no, a perfect way. I just laid there and watched her sleep.


And I fell more in love with her than I had all summer, which I didn’t even think was possible. After all the shit that had happened, of her getting sick and being attacked and all the little mess ups we had along the way of her thinking she was pregnant and us fighting and all the drama all over this tour, it was still fantastic. The summer had been fantastic.


I was so worried at the first of the tour that all these things would happen…that we’d fight, and that there would be shit with Courtney and me, and that the press would go nuts over it. I was so worried about all that shit happening.


And it did happen.


But, ya know, in that moment, lying with her on the couch, none of it mattered. And I realized it never did matter. The summer and the tour were still fantastic and that was because of her.


She’s all that matters to me.


The large sliding door to the living room is open and I step down from the deck into the living room. I look around inside but there’s no sign of my girl. I was expecting to see her up here on one of the lounge chairs with a blanket in the shade, or on the couch curled up. But she’s nowhere.


“Mere?” I call out, thinking maybe she’s upstairs.


“Out here,” I hear behind me, and I look around and see nothing. I walk around to the side of the house where the pool and hot tub are and I see her…smiling, swimming.


“What are you doing?” I eye her. She looks like she’s up to something, and I’m sure she’s topless in there.


“Swimming…” She bites her lip and floats over towards the edge of the pool where I am and looks up at me, flicking water at me with her hand. “You coming in?”


“Hmm…why would I do that?”


She giggles and gets a mischievous look in her eyes. “Cause I’m naked,” she says and then pushes away from the edge, letting the front of her body float and peek out of the top of the water before she turns her body, still giggling but covered by the water.

Fuck…


I stare at her and just breathe for a moment. Sexy little thing.


I chew on my lip and say, “I see that.” I immediately walk over to one of the lounge chairs and put the towel I had down in it.


“It feels good,” I hear her call out. “All cool and wet and slippery…”


Dammit, she knows exactly what to say and how to tease, doesn’t she?


“Shit girl…” I stare at her as she looks at me through heavy eyes, staring back at me, asking me silently to get in the water with her. I can feel the blood pumping through my dick and I put my hands on my waist and start to pull down on my shorts. “You better not be teasing. You know once I get in there it’s going down.”


“You’ll have to catch me.” She giggles when I step out of my shorts and I dive into the pool, surging after her, naked as she is.


She squeals and kicks and tries to swim away from me, but I’m too fast for her. Or maybe she just wants to get caught. The water feels amazing, cool and slick, sliding against me. The feeling turns me on even more and soon I’ve got her, back pinned against my front, my arm around her middle holding her against me, her body fitting in with mine, but sliding against me like the water, slick and cool.


“Got cha…” I say close to her ear.


I waste absolutely no time and move my free hand down her stomach and in between her thighs. Her hot thick wetness is in contrast to the slickness of the pool water and she sighs against me loudly and her head falls back against my shoulder.


She’s so fucking wet and I easily push my middle finger up in her, feeling her ass push against my dick, nothing holding us back now. She arches back against me and moans quietly, “Oh shit…”


I’m going fast for us and I know she normally likes to ease into sex but I can’t help myself, and she seems to like this quick foreplay.


“Feel good, baby?” I say softly and soon find my back against the pool wall so I can rest against it and she can lean against me, floating as I fuck her with my finger.


“I love you…” she says and turns her head. I kiss her and add another finger. I feel her feet push down against mine and then against the pool bottom, trying to lock her legs so she can move herself over my hand, but it’s hard and the water keeps wanting to move us around.


But damn if she doesn’t look hot. I look down and all I can see is flesh, distorted and moving under the water. She lets her legs go and she floats up to the top and I can watch my hand moving in between her legs, over the little groomed patch of hair, pressing and rubbing. And she just holds her arms up and hangs onto my neck and her nipples are so hard, peeking out of the water, wanting me to suck on them.


God my girl is hot as shit, but she’s never looked this erotic and sexy before.


“And I want you…” I say to her. God I can just feel my blood pumping everywhere. “God girl, I want you so bad.”


She immediately twists and turns, and my fingers are forced to move out of her. She pushes me back and holds onto me and looks up at me, her naked body pressing against mine. “Then let’s do this, right here.”


“Here?” I ask, my voice cracking slightly as her hand is now touching me under the water, pumping me steadily.


“Yes…” She sighs and I feel her moving my dick so it’s rubbing in between her legs—Fuck, fuck, fuck!—feeling her wetness as she slides against me, holding her thighs tight as I fuck her right there, sliding against her, not going in her, but moving in between her thighs and against her folds.


Fuh-uck…


We kiss and her mouth hungrily attaches onto mine, her arms around my shoulders and neck , kissing me furiously over and over, moaning, breathing sharp, pushing against my dick, trying to get as much friction as possible.


I pull away and press my forehead against her, trying to calm myself down just a smidge, but I don’t want to calm down and I say to her, “Hold on to me.” I lift her up, my hands under her thighs and have her hold onto me as I hold her up against my torso in the water. I turn us, her back now against the edge of the pool, me leaning into her, poking into her, feeling her wetness all over me, trying to be washed away by the pool water. But nothing can wash this away. I lean down and kiss her neck, lapping up the taste of chlorine and salt water until I get to her ear and moan out against her, “God you’re so ready…you little tease. You’ve been ready, huh?”


“Watching you surf turns me on,” she says with a slight giggle, still holding on to me, rubbing her hips against me so that she makes my dick flick against her pussy.


“Does it now?” I pull back and just smirk at her, watching her look at me. It’s this look I live for: desire and lust deep in her eyes, but also love—her eyes wide, waiting, and slightly innocent. It’s this perfect mix for me, a deep woman with all the sexy little girly stuff she puts on, that bubbly front she puts on, but to know she’s really a woman deep down inside who wants me and only me and loves me more than I can really fathom. My hand puts me where I need to be, right there at her opening, and I push in saying, ‘shit’ at the hot, slick feeling.


She can’t help but curse at the feeling as well and gasps, “Fuck…”


She leans back, arching into me, loving the feel of me entering her. I love that, that she loves it so much. She clutches to me, breasts lifted up to me, still arched, her hips melting with mine.


I can’t help myself and lean down and kiss against her cleavage. I still have to hold her up, my hands holding her ass, but I crane my neck down to pull one of her nipples into my mouth.


I suck her slow and I still haven’t started moving in her yet.


So I start and as soon as I do she starts to slide. I pull back up and say to her, smiling, “Don’t fall.”


“I’m trying not to…” She moans, panicking and whining, pulling herself so her face is embedded into my shoulder. “My legs keep sliding.” Her legs are sliding off my hips, wiggling around in the water, her little hands gripping against my neck and shoulders.


“Well I can’t move if you keep falling off me,” I huff still laughing slightly, but damn if it’s not frustrating. I try to pull her up from where she’s sliding down every time I pull out. “Lock your ankles,” I say to her and she tries to and I push into her harder. She giggles and moans, breathing and smiling against my shoulder.


“Why you giggling?” I say, squeezing her ass in my hands.


She pulls back and kisses me sweetly, a heavy look in her eyes. “Cause you’re fucking me in the pool and it’s totally not working.”


“Not working, huh?” I bite my lip. “You can’t feel…” I pull back and push back in, rotating as I go all the way straight into her. “…that?”


“Shit…” she says quietly and I smile at myself, happy that I can make her feel that good and push her to that edge. “Yes I can feel it, but it’s weird…”


I stop all movements at the sound of her frustrated voice and look down at her. “You wanna get out?”


She pouts and nods. “Yeah, I mean this is nice, I just don’t know if I can get off this way.”


I lean in and kiss her deeply and then pull back and let my hands go from her ass up to her breasts, her legs fall from around my torso, and she slides down and I fall out of her. “Get up here,” I pat the edge of the pool. I figure we can fuck on a lounge chair or even make it to the bed if we have to, even though I know she wants it now. I know that giggle and that pout she just gave me.

She wants me and she’s trying to hold back her frustration that it wasn’t working good and hard and perfect.


I can feel my dick, hot and hard being moved around by the water and it’s a weird feeling. I haven’t been naked in a pool in a while, in fact the last time was with her, in my pool when we first started dating, but I tried to keep my restraint then and only allowed myself to get a little hard.


Now, I’m there, could get there any second and her naked body is right in front of mine. She puts her hands on the stone ledge and pushes herself out. And seeing it wet, naked, her little nipples puckered perfectly, her little snatch right there. She’s sitting on the ledge, her feet still dangling in the water. She smiles at me, happy, completely. She’s got not a care in the world; the only thing on her mind right now is me.


And …god I could go all the way for her. Right now. I should just ask her right now.


All I can think about is her and her hot little body, and when she begins to try to push herself up so she’s standing I step forward and put my hands on her knees and keep her sitting on the ledge.


“What?” She smiles.


“Spread them…” I say, pushing at her knees so they move apart. I smirk at the shock on her face. “Wide.”


“J-Justin...” At first she resists, but then she starts licking her lips and her legs relax and I’m able to spread her legs, spread her right in front of me. She scoots to the edge of the pool and I’m staring right at what I want more than anything in the entire world.


I can’t help myself and I bring my fingers straight out of the water and against her dark pink center. “Don’t get all shocked on me little girl…” I push my fingers inside her and lean forward. “You know you want it.”


“F-uck…” she says, out of breath, still shocked.


“Yes Meredith…” I breathe against her and I feel her legs slide over my shoulders. I reach around and hold her ass and her thighs before I press my tongue against her clit that’s budded up just for me.


“You taste so fucking good,” I say and pull my fingers out of her so I can taste her there as well. “See…” I kiss her and flick her with the tip of my tongue, loving the smell of chlorine and her, the smell of her, deep and musky. And she tastes so fucking sweet. “I got to pay you back for treating me this morning.”


“Did you like it?” she whispers and I feel her hands in my hair. I’ve let it grow out and I’ve been purposefully forgetting to shave. I wonder if she likes my beard against her down here, tickling her and shit. I laugh against her, thinking about this morning.


She shivers.


This morning I was being an ass and I knew it. I was awake but the bed felt really fucking good, and she was ready to get out and start the day, and I was laying there pretending to go back to sleep. I remember I opened one eye and she was standing beside the bed, pulling her panties back up over her legs. She just stared at me and I started to smile at her when I closed my eyes again.


The next thing I knew the sheet was ripped off me and she was crawling up the huge bed, kneeling beside me, her hands on my thighs, moving up to my cock. I was hard, I’m always hard in the morning whether I mean to be or not.


And she just held me in her hand and lowered her head and sucked me so good, slow. She let me just lay back and close my eyes and enjoy it.


“Shit baby, you sucked me so good,” I say and then I hold her hips, holding her against my face and I swirl my tongue around her violently, swiftly, all over her, feeling her shake and grip my hair tight.


She squeals as a wave pass over her and when she relaxes her voice is quiet, lower in tone, fucking sexy. I look up at her and she’s looking down at me. “Did you like it when I stopped and started riding you?”


“Fuck girl…” I can’t help myself and move my hand down into the water and start stroking myself, I just can’t help it. I need some pressure and some movement now I’m thinking about that. About how she just sucked me so slow and deep, and then when I started thrusting against her a little harder with my hands deep in her hair, she pulled back. Somehow she had taken off her panties and she just crawled up on me. She stared at me, smiled and held me in her hand as she sunk down on me, her body swallowing me up. The sucking had been slow but the riding was not. Not at all. It was deep and grunting and I smacked her ass a little and watched her body twist and turn and fuck against me. It didn’t take us long to get off, especially when I started tweaking her nipples and then started thumbing her clit. She just looked at me with this face of pure desire and need, pulsating her hips over me, making me furiously rub her clit.


And we both got off, together.


We fell back on the bed and passed out asleep with her half on top of me, laying almost sideways on the bed.
And sometime later we made it out to eat breakfast on the deck before leaving to go surf.


“Keep talking dirty to me while I eat you out,” I say.


“Justin…” She pretends to be shocked, but I know my girl has got a kinky little mouth. I know she’ll say naughty little things to please me. I think it gets herself off too. She acts innocent now, but she does it anyway, moaning out and saying between hisses and gasps, “I…oh shit it feels so good. You drive me crazy.” I pump my cock harder under the water and lick her like I’m addicted to her. Hell, I am addicted to her. “I just want you to fuck me all day. Ever since we’ve been here I’ve just wanted you fucking me all the time. I think I’m addicted to your cock.”


“Shit…” I lick my lips, getting all her taste into my mouth before I take my hand off of my cock, back out of the water and I push my fingers back into her. When I do I feel her shake and she gets her whiney voice and starts biting her lip. I know if I keep this up she’ll come. I immediately pull my fingers back out of her and say teasingly, “No, no, no. Not yet.”


“Justin…please.” She looks down at me, completely a mess, panicked, needing me. I nod, pull away from her and as quickly as possible pull myself out of the water. I turn towards her dripping and naked and I kiss her briefly and say, “Shh, here…”


Her eyes are huge, waiting on me to make everything perfect. I love how she puts so much faith in me and how sometimes she’ll completely surrender to me. It makes me feel, I don’t know…like I really do make her happy, that I’m the biggest part of her life. And I know that I am, or at least one of the biggest things. Ya know, I go about my daily life knowing that.


But when I really see it or think about it. It blows me away.


“Lay down,” I say and pat the stone surface outside of the pool. I wouldn’t do this if this pool looked like a normal pool with cement surround it and lots of sun. But this pool is made out of stones or something, and the surface is cool and smooth. Palms and other tropical trees and flowers provide a slight canopy, and I just can’t wait or afford to try to pull her up into a lounge chair right now and worry about making it flat and comfortable.


I need her now. Right now. She lies before me and spreads her legs, bent and ready, her arms out reaching for me. “Don’t worry, I won’t be rough. I know your laying on a hard surface...”


I lean over her and she pulls me down closer to her, panting, “I don’t care…just…just get in me.” Her hand is on my dick, pulling me there and within seconds, it’s all a blur, somehow I’m pushed into her, laying over her, us dripping into each other, her legs high, hiked up and me pressing down against her.


“Fuck Meredith…” I say harshly into her cheek.


“More…” She immediately starts moving her hips against me, harsh and rough. “…now.”


I pull back and smirk at her, “You really want it, don’t you?”


“I have to have it.” But she’s not playing around. She’s not teasing. The look in her face is pure seriousness, desire and need. She’s has to have me. I know the feeling. Sometimes I’m able to just play around with her during sex, but sometimes it’s so intense, so serious, teasing is too much, foreplay takes too long, and all that matters is me inside of her, fucking her, moving harsh and strong, getting us there.


“Please...” Her eyes are watering and I lean down and gather her up against me and immediately start moving in her and against her, steady and slick, slow and strong, in and out, hearing her whining calm down and her breathing turn into more of a purr.


“Shh…” I kiss her neck and whisper against her, “You don’t have to beg, Mere. You never have to beg with me.”

I move with her and feel her body with mine, small touches, slow kisses. It’s furied and rushed, but it’s also deep. I love this about her. I love that even though we fuck, we fucking make love. I know that’s cheesy, but damn if it’s not the truth. I wanna be with this girl forever and I know I will be. I have confidence in that, in us.


And after all the bull shit we’ve gone through this summer, after all the bull shit I’ve fucking put her through, she’s still here, letting me inside of her. And we’re here together and nothing in the world matters except for us.


I know the next year is going to be tough. I know we’ll be pulled apart and in different directions, but I want to stick by her, be with her through all the bad times and the best times. Because even though this summer had some shit happen, things I was never prepared for and things that I myself made worse, it was still fantastic.


Because I had her.


All I had to do when I was depressed or angry was look her way and she was always right there, always looking back at me, smiling back at me, loving me, and I never understood why. I still don’t even know why. But she does. Simple and pure, she just loves me.


And I never want to let that feeling go.


I never want to let her go.

Chapter 44 by Mere

Justin’s driveway, 1:49 pm

I inhale and allow my lungs to fill with smoke before I pull the cigarette from my mouth and exhale. Buckley starts to shit behind one of Justin’s flower beds. He’s been gone almost a week now and I’m sure he’s having a blast with his girl, fucking and drinking and surfing and doing absolutely nothing. And I can’t say I’m not jealous. But at the same time being alone on a beach would probably be the worst thing right now. I hate fucking being alone and being alone in this damn house is pretty bad. At least I’m in LA. At least I have a few friends hanging around, and now that I’m back from tour, they’ve have been calling me up almost everyday to go out, get lunch, something.

And then there’s the line. I’ve got a couple meetings next week. I’m a little nervous, but I’m confident. Next week will make or break me and let me know if this thing is really going to happen or not. The pieces are in production now and should be delivered tomorrow to review. I need a name. God, do I need a name. I just don’t think “Ayala Clothing” is punchy enough.

All this shit’s happening. The calm of a tour being over has set in, the onslaught of friends and the normality of every day life is starting to creep back.

I could give a fuck.

She called me earlier today. I laughed. After last night I couldn’t help but laugh. It’s sad really. She’s so lost and pathetic. I don’t know how I could have ever been turned on by her strength and bad-assness, because it’s all a fucking joke—all just one big act that she played on me. She’s nothing but a sad little bitch, a pathetic loser who gave up and can’t even look me in the eye, can’t even be true to herself.

She proved that to me last night.

And I shouldn’t give a damn and I shouldn’t care. I’m over her. I’m done. I can’t deal with this any more.

There are plenty of girls out there that are hotter, sexier, more put together, easier, laid back, silly, girly, fun. There are plenty of girls out there that would want to date me. I might not be Justin fucking Timberlake but I’m a pretty cool guy. I’m a good guy, and my southern accent could get any one of these fucking Hollywood bitches in my bed in a snap.

But…

I don’t want a Hollywood bitch.

I still fucking want her.

Why do I still want her?

Maybe I have some sort of weird hero complex and I want to save her from herself or something. Maybe because part of me is still holding on to that girl I used to know. The confused, complicated, contradictory Courtney was a hell of a lot more bearable than this broken down, fake one she keeps showing me now.

I finish my cigarette and stomp it out on the ground of Justin’s driveway before the dogs can come over and smell it and burn themselves. It’s not 5 seconds after I’ve moved my foot and Buckley’s there smelling the stub. Then Brennan starts to bark. Buckley chimes in and I stare through the opened gate at the end of Justin’s driveway and see her small, navy car pull up slowly.

The dogs are barking, foaming, rabid almost at her car door, but when she opens it and they stick their heads in, they realize they know her, they quiet down, their tails start wagging. I guess, somehow, they missed Courtney even though she never really showed them much affection on tour.

She steps out, patting them away, shades over her eyes, stretch pants, t-shirt, more comfortable than I’ve ever seen her. More comfortable than in her pajamas on a tour bus.

She looks sloppy but somehow put together.

When she shuts the door she moves the sunglasses off her face and looks at the house cautiously saying, “You sure he’s not going to find out I’m here and hunt me down.”

I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest. Typical. “Nice. Hello to you too, Courtney.”

“Sorry.” She cringes and I see her crumble right before me.

I can only sigh and turn. “Let me finish walking them and I’ll put them in their kennel, and we can go inside.”

“His house?”

“No…” I stop and look at her. She acting like this is the first time she’s been here and that we are sneaking around. If Justin asks, I have no problem telling him that she came here. What the hell? “The guest house. God, chill out.”

“Are you mad?” I bite my lip and snap my fingers twice to get the dogs to follow me. I walk away from her, pretty much like I always do. Maybe that’s my problem. But I don’t stop. The dogs are at my feet, following me as I open the small gate besides Justin’s house to get into his backyard. Their kennel is there. I kind of feel bad putting them up for periods of time but they aren’t used to being inside the guest house, and lately I’ve found myself sitting a lot outside in Justin’s back yard, reading and writing down my thoughts and being gay as hell. I let them hang out and lay around and play the yard until they tired out. Sometimes I’ll take them inside Justin’s house with me and we’ll all nap on the couch and watch TV.

It’s moments like those when I miss Courtney, when I think back on being on tour, Justin and Mere gone doing stuff with each other or on stage, and me having to take care of the dogs and Courtney with me…

I open the kennel and the dogs go in obediently. When I shut the door I hear her call my name from behind me. “Trace…”

She standing there with tears in her eyes, her sunglasses on top of her head, her arms over her stomach like she’s cold…just staring at me.

I shake my head and finally let it out and say to her, “You pushed me away, and I’m sorry I didn’t fight it, but you fucking broke my heart. I don’t see you for like 2 or 3 weeks and then bam you’re back, calling me up, asking me out…so I’m thinking hell yes, maybe she got her shit together, maybe she’s ready to talk to me…maybe that’s all she needed was space and time. But last night you acted so fucking fake with me. You completely just ignored…everything. And now you’re here, paranoid. God, if I had known you were gonna be like this I would have met you somewhere else. Or not at all.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You’re always sorry Courtney. You’re always so fucking sorry.”

The pitifulness in her eyes is gone for a second and a flash of the strong, pissed off women I used to date is there. “If you’re going to just get on me like you’re my father, I can leave.”

So I pick at it, hoping she’ll show me that fire again. “Then leave. I’m not going to try at this if you aren’t either.”

But she gives up, again. “Fine…” she says and turns and leaves.

I sigh and wait a few minutes and walk back out of Justin’s back yard, around the front of his house to the guest house. She’s in her car, engine on, looking down at her phone and I ignore her.

I ignore her because I can’t handle this up and down any more without any breakthrough.

Last night I was thrilled when she called me up and we were going to go out. Go to a place that’s neutral ground, have dinner, talk about what happened. I determined I wouldn’t be mad, I wouldn’t get on her, I’d just let her talk and tell me what happened. I said I would be considerate, honest, but open with her and I wouldn’t jump on her or blame her.

I was going to be fucking mature for once in my god damn life.

She shows up in a dress, make up, hair done, flirting, as if nothing had fucking happened. As if she had turned into one of those Hollywood bitches over night. The entire dinner we said nothing of substance. I wasn’t going to talk to her about anything if she wasn’t going to bring it up. And she didn’t bring it up. She talked about the food, the weather, about, hell I don’t know, some TV show she had been watching.

But not even about herself or what she had been doing or what she wanted to do. She not only ignored our problems and what happened with us, but ignored everything else as well.

And so when the bill came I paid, told her I had something to do and left. I fucking left her at that restaurant and when she called out my name and looked at me with those damned eyes I just shook my head and told her to call me when she was really ready to talk to me.

So she called me this morning. I was livid, I was pissed, I wanted to tell her to fuck off.

She asked if she could come over and I said yes. I don’t know why I fucking said yes.

I need another cigarette. What time is it? 2 pm, that’s not too early to start drinking is it?

I put my hand on the door and as soon as I turn it I hear her engine stop, the door slams shut and she calls out, “Dammit Trace, this is hard for me.”

I turn and look at her. She stops 5 feet in front of me and I say, “And it’s not for me?”

She continues to stare at me and I open my door and hold it open, telling her silently to come in. She does and stands there in my living room as I close the door. It’s a little messy. I’m still working on getting my laundry cleaned from the tour and there’s a couple baskets around and there are empty beer bottles on my coffee table. I sigh and start to pick up the bottles and walk over to the kitchen.

“Ya know, it’s fucking hard for me too, Courtney. Think about it. I have to just stand here and literally watch you pull away from me for no reason. God, we were never perfect, we never will be. We’re not gonna travel off to some private island and like be Mr. and Mrs. Romance, and I’m fucking ok with that. Because what we could have, despite how fucked up we clearly both are, could be so fucking amazing. But you don’t want that. Cause it’s hard work, because you have to put effort into it and you’re tired of trying. Well maybe I am, too.”

I dump all the beer bottles I managed to hook around my fingers roughly into the trash and stand there, trying to tell myself to breathe deep. Fuck, this woman gets to me. And, it’d be so easy, so much better if she didn’t, if I could just say, fuck you and let it go.

I was able to let Elisha go. Yeah, it took a while and yeah I was messed up by it, but I was able to fucking let her go…

I finally turn and see her sitting on the tip edge of my couch. There’s something there in that look, she still seems pitiful, run down, hell, broken down, but she’s staring right at me, and that’s a lot more than I can say about last night.

She opens her mouth and speaks slowly to me, as if she’s trying to think through her words and not let her emotions take over too much. “I know how hard this is for you, but you have to understand, I’m sitting here knowing that I made a mistake, so many mistakes, that there’s no one else to blame for this, us right now, besides me. And to know that if I want you back, cause I do…” She sighs and I see her eyes well up and it’s the first fucking time she’s been real to me, really real to me since this whole fucking ship started to sink. “God I do, to know that I have to fucking like…beg… to get you back….that fucks with my mind, Trace.”

I shake my head and walk over to her, picking up the basket of unfolded but clean laundry and dropping it to the floor so I can sit in the chair by the couch. “When did I ever make you beg? Last night was the first time I saw you in two and a half weeks Courtney. The tour’s been over for more than a week now. I’ve been back here, hanging out, playing with Justin’s dogs every day and you call me yesterday and I fucking…I was so fucking excited. I thought finally you were ready to talk. But you didn’t talk last night. You sat across from me at the dinner table and acted like nothing had happened, you fucking giggled and shit and was asking me about my food and stupid shit that I know wasn’t on your mind. You sat there and were afraid to talk to me.”

She’s still looking right at me and part of me wants to smile, but I don’t. “Do you blame me? Cause you know I don’t have a good excuse.” She laughs bitterly and sits back against the cushions. “You know it’s just the same old shit Trace, me with my issues, me thinking I have everything together when I don’t…me taking everything out on everyone else. That’s what this is all about, I fucked up. And I don’t know what to do to make it better. I just want it to be over with. I want everyone to forget that I’m a fucking mental case and just…go back to how it was.”

I stare at her and realize how much she wants this to work. Maybe I made the mistake these past two weeks, maybe I let myself believe that she was no good, that she was pitiful, maybe I wanted to think that so I couldn’t blame myself for anything. But I knew that she wasn’t as strong as she put on from the beginning, and at the same time I knew how stubborn she was.

And deep down I think I’ve known this whole time that the one thing in the world she’s needed, even though she would lie about it, kick and scream and fight it…she needed me.

I lick my lips and get up from where I’m sitting. My mouth is dry and my heart is beating fast when I sit down beside her and look at her. She looks scared of me right now, and cowers back a bit. “You want to go back to when you were still fucked up and not talking to me? God Courtney, this whole thing. I want it to be good, I want it to work, and we had some fantastic moments and there were times that you really opened up to me. But for the most time it was just about us fucking each other and sneaking around. And yeah that was fun…but…” I look down at her lap and her hands are put together, shoved in between her thighs. I want to grab her hand so bad, and just…I just want to touch her.

It’s been so fucking long since I touched her. I didn’t even get to hug her last night. I wanted to so fucking bad.

I suck in a breath and look away from her. “But I want more than that…and I want more than that from you.

And it’s like whenever we would get there, whenever an argument would come up or a time when we really could work through it and be a couple and be stronger on the other end of it…you gave up, gave in. You’d distract me and yourself with sex and you’d laugh it off as no big deal, claim you had too much shit going on with Meredith. “

“I’m trying Trace; I guess that’s just not good enough.”
I laugh and look at her. She looks like a little girl right now. I hate it, I hate how complicated she is. How I don’t understand one damn thing about her.

Yet…I still…

I shake my head and keep my thoughts on the conversation and not my emotions. “No you’re not. You’re not trying. You’re going through the motions. You want this to be easy—for me to just smile and take you back, but that’s not gonna solve anything and in a month we’ll be right back here miserable.”

She gets that defensive bitter laugh back. “So it’s a lost cause then? All of this was just a waste and pointless.”

“Dammit Court…” I don’t think. I don’t stop myself and I put my hand on her shoulder. She looks at me and I stare at her and say, “Calm down…please.”

“I can’t calm down,” she says, still staring at me, body tense under my hand. “Meredith was right you’re…you’re not perfect, Trace but you are the best guy I’ve ever dated. You’re the first one that’s really cared about me…that…that honestly…”

She stops herself but I need to hear it. I know what she’s going to say. I tighten my grasp on her shoulder and lean in, begging her, “Say it...”

She swallows hard and I find myself not being able to look away from her. I don’t know but hearing her say it to me might make all the difference.

That’s a horrible way to think, huh? That’s not…not plausible.

“You’re someone I can love not because of who you are or because I feel like I’m supposed to or because you’re this perfect person that I feel is so better than me.” I’m still hanging on, waiting for her to really say it, without going around it. “You’re…despite how fucked up and different we are, I feel deep down that if I just wasn’t such a mental case, if I didn’t try so hard to act like I had it together, if…if I wasn’t so afraid of breaking down every now and then…we could have something really good. We could be that perfect couple.”

She starts to cry and I just stare at her, dropping my hand from her shoulder, my heart breaking as I look at her. I don’t know what’s happened. What went from us being horrible, her fake, me angry at the world. And now, all I care about in the world is her.

I never stopped caring.

She sniffs and wipes at her eyes with the back of her wrists. “I’m just so fucked up and it’s not fair to you because I know you have shit going on as well and here I am unable to handle my petty shit.”

I reach for her hand and hold it tight, scooting closer to her and saying to her, trying to get her to look at me.

“We all have baggage Courtney and everyone handles it differently, it doesn’t matter how big or small. You just…you pretend to handle it, you push it away or cover it up and act like you’ve dealt with it…or either you don’t deal with it at all and fucking go into hiding.”

Suddenly she leans forward, her hand that was warm and holding back at mine just lightly is now covering her face along with her other hand, and she’s leaning over her knees, whispering out, “I was so scared Trace.”

“Why…”

“Everything.” She pulls her hands from her face and sighs, still leaning forward. “I was scared of what happened to Meredith. I felt it was my fault. I was scared of Justin, but I was mainly scared of you because I knew I had…” She pauses and looks right at me. “I had fucking fallen in love with you Trace and I knew I was going to screw it up.”

I suck in a breath and feel my heart beat fast. I say slowly, “So you purposefully pushed me away so you wouldn’t fall any deeper.”

“I don’t even know why I did the things I did. I guess, in a way, I was getting everything I wanted, a job, a boyfriend I really did want, a life I wanted…and I just felt like I had to be too hard with it, act like it was this fragile thing because I knew it was too good for me. The past year or two of my life had been hell. I never thought my life could be as good as it was. So I pushed too hard and didn’t push hard enough and I just fucked everything up myself. I could have lightened up on tour. Yeah I’m anal about stuff, and I can act a bitch sometimes and be over powering. I do have a problem with trying to make myself feel better than other people.”

“But you’re not that person and you know it…and you know that I know it. And that’s why I had such a hard time this summer battling between you and Justin because I just knew that if he saw the girl that I really saw when you were alone with me, I just knew that he would lighten up. But dammit Courtney, I’m not excusing him being an ass to you all summer, but you fueled it, you never gave him a reason to really like you.”

“I don’t even care about him.” She shakes her head.

“But you should. You should care about how you present yourself to people if you want to be in this business. You confuse everyone, you confused him, I know you confused Meredith, and me. You were two people at all times, a harsh, bitchy, over bearing PA, and other times you were sweet and sensitive and funny. It makes people question you and who you really are. Makes people not believe the sweet side of you when most of the time you’re so cold.” She sniffs again and looks away from me, opening her eyes wide not to cry. Her arms are over her chest and she looks so mad right now, so fucking defeated. “I’m not trying to hurt your feelings,” I say weakly.

“I know.”

“Courtney…” She won’t look at me, and I realize now she really is defeated. Whether it’s me or that guy she used to date or some other weird issues I don’t know about, she just wants to give up. The world is out to get her in her mind, and hell maybe it really is.

But…but I still…

I lean in closer and stare at her face even though she’s not looking at me.

“I love you, too.”

Our heads almost knock because of how fast she whips around. She’s staring at me now, eyes narrowed, looking as if she’s annoyed, as if she doesn’t believe that I could say that to her. But there’s fucking hope in her eyes and I can see myself reflected in her.

“I know it’s a bad time to say it and I know you probably don’t know why of all times I say it now, but…I’m being so harsh on you and saying this shit to you because I love you. If I didn’t, if I didn’t care, I’d just say fuck it. I would be dating someone else by now. It’s like after Elisha, I knew I could go out and easily get a fuck buddy or a new girlfriend that just made me feel better about myself, but I didn’t…because I still loved her and despite the fact that she had already started dating and moved in with someone else less than a month after we were broken up, I still had hope. I still thought maybe I could get her back. I made my mom postpone all the wedding plans she had made, but I made sure to tell her not to cancel them because I still fucking had hope. It took a while to get over her and right before I met you, I was starting to. I was still struggling but I was ready to go get my hot little busty blonde to fuck me at night and keep my mind off shit and keep me company. God, Justin and I both were. We had talked it up in New York. Said that we were going to meet some hot models in a club or something. But then he heard Meredith was in town and got all fucking pussy whipped. And then you called me about your “client”.

I pause and look at her as she’s staring off into space.
“And part of me didn’t know if you were serious or not. I still didn’t really believe you were how you were until I really met you, until you came to Justin’s room with Meredith and embarrassed her in front of everyone. I had to get to know you. It was like a fucking magnet. I was just standing there hugging Meredith and I looked your way and I had to find out more. It was that immediate. I’m not saying I was in love with you then, but…but dammit Courtney, I don’t get interested in girls easily. I’ll have fun with them, I’ll fuck around, but there’s only been two other women in my life that have really held my interest and intrigued me and made me …made me fucking lose my breath…”

She staring at me now, her mouth open, eyes focused but tears threatening to spill from her eyes. She blinks and they fall. “And you’re one of them…and I don’t want to let you go, because unlike Elisha, I know you are trying, and I know this is so hard for you. When Elisha broke off the engagement I fooled myself into thinking she was just scared of marriage, but deep down I knew she was tired of me, ready to move on. When you pushed me away, I guess that’s what frustrated me so much, what pissed me off, and kept me away…cause with Elisha I called her, I fucking annoyed the shit out of her begging her to come back. With you… I knew you wanted me back, I knew you weren’t tired of me and you weren’t ready to move on. I knew you were just scared of this…”
I pause and take a breath and completely lose my train of thought. I can’t even remember everything I just said.

I sigh and mumble, “God, I don’t even know what I’m saying.”

She cracks a smile at me and whispers, “You’re saying all the right things.”

“It’s going to be hard, Courtney. And I’m not saying we’re gonna get back together and be perfect or that it’ll even work out in the end. I’m gonna need time, and I don’t think we should just latch back together and spend every moment with each other. I think you still have a lot of shit you need to figure out about yourself before we really start this back.”

“But you want to start it back?” She seems so fucking amazed right now. She had giving up, she had lost hope, and she was fucking grasping for me, trying. Yeah she might not have known how to go about it, but going out with me last night, coming here today, that’s fucking trying. After vanishing from me, just leaving without a real reason, she’s back and she could have so easily just kept her pride and moved on to some other job and some other man, easily. So fucking easily. But she didn’t. She dwelt on it, pulled herself into this hole and now she’s trying to dig herself out of it, not just for herself, but for me.

For pathetic ass me…

“I want to try…” I say.

“But we should take this slow,” she says cautiously.

I nod at her. “I think we should take this very slow.” She staring at me, smiling and I can’t help myself and I move my hand to her face and wipe away a few of her tears. I know, I know that it’s ridiculous to say ‘we should take the slow’. I know that it won’t happen. I know we won’t be able to hold back and we’ll be back in my bed soon, maybe not today or tomorrow, but soon.

And I can’t say that I wouldn’t mind that. I miss her, and I miss her body.

And as fucked up as we are, there were moments like that, like right afterwards when it was just me and her in bed, breathing, smiling, sometimes laughing, sometimes talking, sometimes just falling asleep…those were the moments when she really showed me the real Courtney, when I could really be myself with her, when nothing else in the entire world mattered.

She looks tired and worn down and pale, and thinner than normal, but she looks beautiful to me, and now, now that we’ve at least started this process, at least got it out there and now that I know I just need to stick by her and not let her give up on us, I know we can start to move on, we can start working on us.

And she can start working on herself.

“Have you and Meredith figured out what you guys are going to do?”

She sighs and shrugs her shoulders a little bit. “She pretty much left it in my hands, and I know she’s got a break now, but she’ll be promoting two singles back to back next month, and after that I think she’s working on a solo tour. I don’t know Trace, I just…I’m gonna talk to Angie next week and talk to her about all this. I don’t want to quit, but maybe if another arrangement can be met, where maybe Angie needs more help at the office and we can look to really get someone to help Meredith. She even suggested Megan coming on. Maybe the best friends trick really is the way to go.”

“Yeah, maybe…” I shake my head and look at her. “But it can get weird at times. I mean Justin and I are all over it. We’re cool as hell and we always will be, but…it can get dramatic sometimes.”

“I’m starting to get the feeling that when you work for a pop star it’s dramatic no matter what.”

I smile at her and lean back against the couch beside her. “Be thankful, we got slightly normal ones to deal with.”

She smiles and then laughs quietly and it puts me at ease. I don’t understand it. I don’t understand us at all. I don’t get how I can go from being so frustrated at her and wishing she would just leave me alone to loving her and never wanting to let her go. And I don’t understand how she can go from being broken down, to here now, sexy and smiling, or from being confident and brave to completely scared and hiding. I don’t get it.

And I don’t fucking care.

Right now she’s sitting beside me, our shoulders pressed against each other, the couch forcing us to lean into each other just a bit, staring at the blacked out TV in front of us. And it’s perfect.

Suddenly somehow it’s all made right again.

And ya know, maybe it never really went wrong, maybe I still have my own issues. I know she has hers but maybe I can get better, hell I wanna get better for her. I want her to get better for me and for herself, and I want to see if this really can work.

I want to try this without pop stars and tours and issues and drama. I want to see if me and Courtney Dawson can actually be friends and actually do this without doing what we do, fighting and fucking.

God though, do I miss the fucking.

I laugh to myself a little and shake my head. After all this bull shit I’m still a fucking perv.

“Can…” I look over at her and she’s biting her lip still staring in front of her.

“Ask.” I demand.

She takes in a deep breath and moves her eyes to mine. “Can I hang out with you today? I just…I kind of miss just being lazy with you.”

“I’d like that.”

It’s quiet and finally she cracks a smile at me and says, “We’re gonna be awkward and weird all day, aren’t we?”

“Maybe a little,” I laugh. “But…I don’t care.”

“I don’t either.”

We smile at each other, like fucking teenagers who are just waiting for their parents to leave the house and leave them alone for the evening.

“I think there’s a City Confidential marathon on A & E.” I say

And before I can do anything else she’s reached forward, turned on the TV and relaxed back in the couch.

Nothing happens and I don’t expect it to. We sit there for an hour and then another, just watch TV, me slouched against the couch and her curled up to the arm rest, her feet in my lap.

Normalcy. Finally fucking normalcy. It might not be romantic and hell, I don’t even really know if we’re back together like that, but it doesn’t matter, cause she’s with me and we’re not fighting and I feel comfortable with myself.

And that’s the thing. I don’t know what it is, even when she makes me crazy, even when she confuses the hell out of me, there are moments like this. Moments where I don’t think there’s anyone else in the world, not even my fucking mom, who could make me feel as comfortable as I do when she’s lying beside me.

It’s like fucking finally being home.

And somehow, suddenly, I don’t have a worry in the whole damn world.

Chapter 45 by Mere

Justin and Mere’s bedroom, 8:01 p.m.

 

I suck in a breath and relax as the pleasure runs through me, tickling me all over and easing into a calm, not a stop, but an even state.  He kisses up over my stomach, in between my breasts and I arch up into him as he comes completely over me.  He’s smiling, that damn smile that he only shows me, curious, wide eyed, half shocked, half arrogant as hell.  I love it.  It’s him, controlled man and desperate boy wrapped up in one.

 

I kiss him and I love it.  I love the way he tastes and I love the way his mouth and tongue feel against mine.  It’s comforting and soothing and so damn smooth.  He keeps kissing me as he pulls my leg up over his hip and I can feel him there, pointing and poking and he smiles against my lips and just slides right in.

 

Damn….

 

I groan at the feeling.  You’d think I’d be used to it, that after us always being so hot for each other, and especially after the past two weeks I’d be used to it, tired of it maybe.  But I’m not.

 

I’m fucking addicted and I need him all the time, and he’s so generous and I love him.

 

I fucking love him so much.

 

He enters me over and over and I hold on for dear life.  I hold on and the echoes of the passing thunder boom and rumble around us as his body continually meets mine again and again.  It started raining pretty heavily around lunch today and the wind picked up.  This is more than just some afternoon storm at the beach.  Apparently a tropical depression has passed by us and we’ve felt the effects.  We locked ourselves up in our house and before it started to rain a couple guys that work here came by to make sure everything was tacked down and no towels or surf boards or anything were loose out on the porch.

 

We watched a few movies.  The lights flickered once and thunder clapped really loud right near our house as well.  Justin laughed at me when I screamed.  I can’t help it.  It was sudden and loud and scared me.  We made dinner together, we took a nap, we talked, we even both tried to read the books we brought.

 

And then he started to smile and I started to smile and it was dark outside and the thunder and lightening were drifting off and the rain was still pelting down and he started to rub the skin that on my side, under my tank top…

 

And now we’re here, naked and he’s inside of me.

 

I scrunch my face up against his shoulder and hike my legs up as high as I can, bent on either side of him.  He gets even deeper and I groan and kiss at the skin on his freckled shoulders.

 

“Please Justin…” I beg, I whine and he gives it, grunting out cuss words as he pounds and pounds into me.

 

It feels so good and I can’t stop myself.  I hold onto this body, gripping his back, feeling his muscles move against my fingers.  His hips are wild in between my thighs and I shake my head, knowing this is a sin, knowing it feels too good to be something that I could enjoy.  Too perfect, too fucking much.  It goes on for hours just him, going and going at this steady pace, my hips meeting up against his, my body bucking and aching for his.

 

It lasts forever.  It lasts only seconds.  Hell, I don’t know.  I just know that I can’t take it anymore.  It’s built to this point and it’s too much and I keep thinking about how his body feels, all sculpted and warm and smooth.  I keep thinking about how we must look all naked and wild and rampant.  I start thinking about how perfect this vacation has been, just us, no troubles, no problems, just us enjoying each other in complete privacy.  Then I keep thinking about how he was fingering me on the couch a little bit ago when this first started, all slow and kissing me like it was the last time we’d get to do it, luscious and slow, so fucking slow.  Everything’s so slow but it’s going so fast.  He’s going so damn fast…

 

His hands were everywhere earlier, all on me and in between and touching and gripping and moving me and positioning me so his mouth could taste what he wanted.  God he does that so well, too, pushing back my thighs, spreading my legs apart, looking at me like ‘hold on little girl you won’t be able to take this’.  He’s so fucking good at eating me out and it makes me feel amazing to know that he seems to get so much pleasure from it, that he likes doing it, not just because he knows it makes me feel good but because he actually likes it. 

 

But now his hands are straight into the mattress and his mouth is opened breathing deep above me and he just keeps going and going and I can’t take it.

 

I…I need him to come in me.

 

“God, Justin…p-please.” I’ve got nothing left in me as I feel my orgasm crash into my body, but it keeps building and building.  And I can’t take it.  I’m nothing but high pitched groans, begging him to do this to me, to fucking make me come.

 

Please Justin, fucking come in me…

 

And he does and it, shit, it….

 

“Fu-uckkk.”  I tighten beneath him and bite into his shoulder and he groans and jerks holding himself in me, deeper than anything I’ve felt. I squeeze him inside me, my arms and legs gripping him tight until I can’t help it. I can’t stand it and I let out a breath, open my eyes and collapse into a puddle of nothing as his dick finishes me off.

 

God…he just finished me off.

 

I can’t hear anything but his jagged breath in my ear, and I can feel his heart thumping in his chest, beating into my own. I try and catch my breath and I pull my arms up from the bed and let my hands touch his back.  He shivers and I rub him there.  A minute passes, his heart beat has slowed and there are goosebumps all along his back and spine.

 

“Shit...” He breathes less than a whisper beside me.  And I hold him for a moment, pulling my arms tighter around him and kissing his neck softly.

 

He groans loud.

 

And then starts to laugh, deep and quiet.

 

“What?” I ask curiously, quietly.

 

He pulls back and smirks at me, “You know what.” He then pulls out and I whine and curl up as he flops on his stomach to the left of me.  I look over and his eyes are closed, mouth opened and face smashed against the pillow.  He lies flat there and I curl up to him and stare at him.

 

I never thought that I’d be with someone I’d be this attracted to, this in love with.  And it’s not just in love with him as a person, but it’s his body.  God, that sounds so superficial, but it’s more than that.  Ok, yes he’s attractive, hot as Hades, whatever, but honestly most of that for me comes from his demeanor.

 

His body I love.  I love the freckles on his shoulders and the dots of his spine on his back.  I even love the curve of his tiny, tight, pale ass.  And his arms.  God, I love his arms.  They’re huge, but not scary.  And when he’s lying just like this, they just look big.  When he’s working out, if he flexes them, you can see the amount of work and muscle that’s there, but lying like this they look soft, smooth, but not as sculpted as when he’s in the gym.

 

I don’t make any sense sometimes and sometimes I have a hard time coherently putting together my thoughts on him, on us.  I dip in and kiss his upper arm and stare at the design of his cross tattoo.   It’s one of these things you wouldn’t notice unless you were up close, but the inside of it has this design, this pattern and it’s beautiful. I take the tip of my finger and look at him for a second to make sure his eyes are still closed.  Then I press my finger lightly to the bottom of the cross tattoo.  I trace along it. 

 

I can’t help myself and I lean in and press my lips to the center of it.  I open my mouth and suck lightly. I hope that’s not like sacrilegious or something.

 

I move my eyes to the ceiling above and say in my head, ‘Sorry Jesus, if it is.’

 

Justin groans and I look up at his face with my mouth still pressed against him and he’s looking down at me through half opened eyes, smiling.

 

“Hey…” he says gravelly.

 

I blink and smile. “Hi.”

 

“What are you doin’?”

 

I move my eyes from his and look back down at his arm and shoulder, studying it meticulously. “Memorizing your tattoo.”

 

“I’ve got more you can memorize.”

 

“Those on your legs are weirdoes.”

 

I look up at him with a smirk and he opens his mouth in half shock but it morphs into a yawn.  He turns and I can no longer study his cross tattoo.  He flops on his back and crosses his arms over his chest.  “Well thanks.”

 

I ignore his playful anger and curl up to him. “I like that one.”

 

“Me too.”

 

It only takes a moment of my head against his shoulder before he unravels his arms and moves one behind me and pulls me snug against him.  It’s something that to this day makes me feely jiggly inside, to know, to realize that he loves touching me, he loves having me close.  He doesn’t care if I ‘suffocate’ him.  I can read him and I know when he wants space, but I know the majority of time he likes to have me close, he likes to have me right by his side. 

 

I know if I keep thinking like that I’ll start to giggle so I turn my face into his neck and say, “I love you.”

 

He turns, his arms fully around me now, us on our sides, completely pressed together.  “Mmmm and I love you.”

 

I press my forehead against his chest. “You just love me cause you got laid.”

 

“Yes, I got laid to pieces by the sexiest little thing on this planet.”  He shivers for a moment and groans.  “God damn girl, I think part of me is still cumming.”

 

He holds me for a moment before letting me go, sliding to the edge of the bed and pushing off of it. 

 

“Where are you going?”

 

He turns back to me and stumbles, smiling, “To get something…”

 

I push myself up on the bed. “You’re acting like your drunk or something.”

 

He braces himself against the entranceway to the bedroom, completely nude.  I take him all in and bite my lip at the site of his body all right there for my viewing pleasure. 

 

He widens his eyes, “I think I am.” I roll my eyes and he asks, “You want a drink or anything?  I think I might need a shot after that shit.”

 

“I just want water thanks.” He nods and I hear him loudly shift down the steps.  I sigh and look up at the ceiling, contemplating going and turning on one of the ceiling fans.  My body is hot and it seems kind of humid in our house.

 

I lay there and stare at the stationary ceiling fan and wonder what will happen when we get back to LA.  I know this trip has been crazy, but it seems like in a way, I still haven’t been able to process or enjoy being at home.  I was on tour and now I’m on vacation and I don’t really feel like I’ve been back home.  Justin’s spoiled me.  I’m not going to want to go back to work after this.  He’s made me lazy.

 

He says differently, that by the time we land in LAX I’ll be so ready to get back to work and tired of him and ready to be on the move again that I’ll be pushing him away and calling up Angie immediately.  Yeah, right.  When I told her I was going on this trip with Justin she didn’t say much.  I know she was upset, and I don’t know why.  Before I went on tour she told me I would have a month off after the tour to do whatever I felt like, those were her words.  I just don’t understand why she’s always so back and forth about me and Justin.

 

I guess sometimes I choose to be blind.  I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not, or if it’s just being really stupid.  I know sometimes I hide behind him, I hide within him and ignore everyone and everything else.  I should face other people straight on and not act like Justin and I don’t affect other people or that other people don’t have opinions about us.  I know Angie does, she thinks he takes me away from where I need to be.  I know Courtney—actually, god, I don’t know what she thinks and I wish I did.  Life would be so much easier.  I’ve done a damn good job forgetting about her and her drama since I’ve been here but I can’t help it coming back up now and again. 

 

I wanted it to work out so badly and maybe it was my fault, maybe I was too cautious at first.  Maybe this whole damn thing is my fault.  I really did want to get along with her, I really did want to be her friend.

 

And I think part of me, somewhere, really did like her, despite her attitude 90% of the time.

 

I don’t know what it is about me but I have this presumption that my life is supposed to be perfect and drama free.  So when shit does happen I like to ignore it, I like to hide behind my boyfriend and let him take care of every little thing.  Maybe that’s why he was so intense and stressed out on tour, cause he knew he had to handle my shit.

 

But even though that might be what I think that’s definitely not what happened.  I seemed to be handling everyone else’s shit on tour.

 

I sigh and rub my face over my hands.  Why am I getting like this?  I’m having a fantastic, easy day and I don’t want my night to be ruined. 

 

I hear heavy footsteps and turn my head to see Justin coming in the room with something in his hand, some material, his fist closed over it.  There’s no glass and no water.

 

“Where’s my water.”  I pout.

 

He stops mid step, his eyes shift uneasy and his smile is nervous.  “Oh um…”

 

I point to his hand as he gets closer to the bed. “What’s that?”

 

I haven’t seen Justin look this nervous in a while and my stomach starts to drop as his knee presses into the mattress and he shuffles closer to me on the bed. “A present.”

 

“Ohhh k…”  I lick my lips and reach down to pull the sheet over me as I push up so my back is against the headboard.  I’m cold now and he’s staring at me, just fucking staring.  I nervously bumble, “When have you gone out and bought me a present?  And where?  Cause if there’s a Bloomingdales on this island that you haven’t told me about I’m gonna be mad at you.”

 

He lays on his side near me on top of the sheet and drops what’s in his hand right on the mattress between us.  It’s a dark blue velvet bag with a silver draw string.  “I bought it in New York.”

 

“Is it a holiday I don’t know about?”  I still say nervously.  I’m pretty sure there’s jewelry in there and I don’t know if I’m nervous because he only gets me jewelry on very special occasions and maybe I forgot to get him something…

 

….or because of something else. 

 

“No, I just…”  I look up at him as his eyes focus unmoving on the bed and he chews on his bottom lip.  Why…why is he so nervous?  “I’ve just been waiting.” 

 

I gulp and shift down against the pillows.  He finally takes a breath and looks me in the eyes as his hands work on the bag.  He loosens the opening and out falls a little blue velvet box.  “Ya know, for the right time and moment and right now with it raining and us just laying here together I figured…I figured it would be a good time to ask.”

 

My eyes immediately widen and I feel my heart stop.  Don’t tell me he’s about to…. 

 

“Justin…” 

 

He laughs and puts his hand up.  “Don’t worry I’m not proposing.” 

 

I sigh. 

 

Relieved. 

 

But somehow…not. 

 

His hand drops and he shrugs.   “I mean, not really…”

 

I don’t say anything.  I don’t know what to say and when he finally looks right at me, looking like the sweetest thing in the world, I can’t help myself and I say in a harsh voice, “Please don’t tell me there’s some promise ring or something in that box.”

 

His mouth drops for a moment, but I see he’s smiling.  “Thanks, way to be romantic, Mere.”  He laughs, pauses and gets serious again. “No…there’s not a promise ring.”

 

“You’re freaking me out!” 

 

He scoffs and looks at me with a pout in his face.  He doesn’t seem nervous anymore and I like that.  It makes me feel more at ease, but not completely.  His mood seems to be shifting back and forth easily.

 

“I got to tell you the story first…”

 

“Oh my god…” I groan and shift under the sheet entirely and cover my head, moaning out, “My stomach is killing me.”

 

He doesn’t say anything and after a good thirty seconds of silence I pull down the sheet and peek out at him.  He stares at me and then shakes his head before speaking, “So Trace and I went out a few times in New York and I went to this jewelry store I always go to cause I wanted to see if they had anything for you or mom for Christmas or birthday or something, or if they had anything they could make for me.  I like to be ahead of the game on stuff like that and well…”  He takes in a huge breath and then rushes out faster than I’ve ever heard him talk, “Anyway, I don’t know how it happened Mere but he started showing me diamonds.”

 

Part of me wants to throw up.  The other part of me doesn’t know what to do but just stare back at him and whisper, “Oh my god.”

 

He opens the box and I shift my watery eyes down to it.  It’s not a ring, but just a small stone in a tiny plastic bag inside the box. 

 

“And I saw this one…and I don’t know.  It’s like this special unique cut and it’s like I don’t know anything about it, but its supposed to be like the clearest shit in the world and it’s from this place in Africa that like doesn’t use like child slave labor…”  He’s rambling and fumbling with the bag, trying to get it to open. He sighs and says, “god Mere I don’t know.  I just…saw it and….I wanted you to have it…” 

 

He pauses, picks up my hand and drops the diamond into it.  I keep staring at the stone as he talks, just looking at how it sparkles even in the dim light of the bedroom.  “Whether it was a necklace or …or a ring…” 

 

I look up at him slowly and he’s just staring at me.  “Maybe one day, a ring?” He shakes his head immediately and shrugs.  “And I went ahead and bought it because it’s so rare and I knew if I didn’t someone else would get it.  And I just looked at Trace and he said I should get it for you and I could figure out what to do with it later. And...I know it’s not like huge but…”  He smiles a little.  “I knew you wouldn’t want it huge.  And it just…it’s you…small, but clear and simple and sparkling…and the cut is really unique and…”  I start smiling and I can’t stop.  I even cover my mouth with my hand.  He looks at me. 

 

“And I’ve ruined it by being cheesy.”

 

 “So…”  I drag out, choosing my words carefully, not really believing what I’m hearing from him.  “One day, you think…”  I lick my lips that feel dry, “we could…”

 

He shifts down on the bed and touches my face with his hand.  “Yes…”  He smiles.  “So in a way it is a promise if you want it to be.”

 

I nod and say, “So you kind of are proposing.”

 

“I’m not ready to be married and I know you aren’t either.  But maybe if we make it, if you put up with me for another couple years, then maybe I can take this back and have something made of it.”  I find myself just staring at him, taking him all in as he lays beside me, pressed up against his right arm that’s holding him up. 

 

He hangs his head and says in a whisper as if he doesn’t want anyone else to hear but me, as if someone else could hear, as if this is some dark secret he’s held in side of him for a while,   “I want to marry you Mere…”  He still doesn’t look at me but I see him shake his head.  “Not right now, but I do want to…”  He looks at me for a moment before looking back down at the stone still in my hand.  “And that’s what this is.  I just want you to know that it’s not something that I think might happen or that really even scares me anymore.  It’s going to happen and dammit, it better happen with you.” I keep staring at him, I can’t look at the stone, I can’t even blink.  I can’t look at anything else but him.

 

Even when he’s nervous and stumbling and quiet like this, he’s fucking perfect to me.

 

I take my time and put the stone back in the tiny back and place it in the box and close it, leaving it on the bed.

 

He’s perfectly quiet and I don’t know what to say.

 

“You’re not saying anything.” He says in a tiny voice after a minute.

 

“I can’t,” I choke out.

 

He stares at me, biting his lip, eyes wide and staring right into mine, so unsure. “Does that mean you’re mad….”  I can’t help it and I lunge for him and push him back down against the bed in a hug.  He laughs and says, “Or does that mean I’ve made you the happiest girl in the world.”

 

I mumble against his chest, feeling my eyes start to water and cry.  “Happiest girl in the whole wide world.”

 

His body relaxes under mine.  Even though the sheet is tangled between us I feel so close to him.  His hands are in my hair and against my back and I hear him sigh out to me, “I love you mere.  God I never thought it could be this way, ya know…” 

 

I pull back and look at him, close to his face, so close.  I lean in and kiss him for just a second.  “And I know we’ve just had a good couple weeks and I know it’s still really new with us.  I mean, what like 5 or 6 months.  That’s long but it’s not that long.  It’s just sometimes if feels like it’s just started and sometimes I feel like I’ve known you all my life and…and…” 

 

He rolls his eyes at himself and I see color flow into his cheeks for a moment and he dunks his head down.  I love how even with me he gets shy, hell especially with me he gets shy.  Justin’s quiet but he’s not a shy guy and you can’t get him to blush easily.  I like knowing I can make him blush.  “You know I have trouble really speaking my feelings for you sometimes and I think that’s just because it baffles me...it’s this thing that’s  so big and so strong that I can’t even explain it to myself, let alone you.  And I want you to know so bad…cause we’ve had problems and I never want you doubting my feelings, even when I get grumpy and mean and…”

 

I wipe at my eyes and say, “I don’t doubt you.  At first there was some uncertainty about stuff, but not now Justin.  I think part of me has always known how strong this was, but sometimes my brain gets in the way and over thinks things…but I love you…”  I clobber him again in a huge, tight hug.  “God, I love you so much.”

 

“I love you so much…”  He says, thick with emotion.

 

I smile against his shoulder and pull back, realizing we need to take a breath and chill out.  It’s getting intense and heavy and crazy, even for us.  “I’m really glad we’re on this island because if any one was near us right now we’d kill them by making them gag to death.”

 

He laughs and nods, stretching beside me. “We are kind of gag worthy sometimes.”

 

“I like it.  I mean, it’s like….” I push myself off of him and look down at him, not being able to hold back my smile.  “We are that annoying, perfect couple.  But I know and you know that we have issues and problems.  I just think we’ve figured this out, we’ve figured out how to not let those problems and issues fuck up what we work so hard at.”

 

“Yeah, cause I’m kind of a fucked up mental case.”

 

I nod. “That’s true.”

 

“Hey…”  He pokes at me and fakes being hurt before rolling over on top of me.  The sheet is a mess between us and the diamond is probably lost within the covers.  “You know who else is a fucked up mental case?”

 

“Me?” I say looking directly at him.

 

“No, well yes…”  I stick my tongue out at him.  “But you’re cute….”  He leans in and kisses me.  It deepens for a moment and I think of nothing more I want to do but to lay here and kiss him.

 

But he pulls away, sighs and says softly, looking distantly at me.  “Trace.”

 

“Oh…”

 

It amazes me how we can go from being so into just us to this.  I know he thinks about Trace and thinks about what’s happened this past summer.  I know it messes with his mind, but he keeps a lot of that in and I have a hard time knowing what to say to him about it.  I think coming here with me was a way for him to hide from that part of his life, but since he’s been here I know he hasn’t been able to keep his mind off his friendship with Trace.

 

I know Justin very well.  But Trace knows him better.

 

He pulls off of me and I see the little blue box and pick it up immediately and put it on the nightstand on my side before we lose it.  Justin fumbles with the sheet before getting it and pulling it up over his waist.  He sighs and puts his hands behind his head.  “I worry about him Mere, and I worry that no matter how cool me and him always have been, maybe I fucked up this summer for him.  Maybe it was all my fault.  Maybe, despite what he’s said, maybe we aren’t as good of friends anymore.”

 

“Justin…”

 

He ignores me and keeps talking and I just listen. “I want him to have what I have.  He had his heart broken more than any man I’ve seen with Elisha, and maybe Courtney was good for him.  Maybe I was too far gone in my own world to see it.”

 

He stops for a moment and is staring out into space.  I push myself up beside him against the headboard and say, “Ya know Justin you did some shady shit this summer that I’m not too proud of you for.  But I’m over it.  I’ve forgiven you and I think Trace has, too.  You can’t go back and change things, but you can’t be responsible for everything Trace or Courtney did or didn’t do.  They’re adults and even though I can be silly and girly and whiney, if they want to really work at it and be a couple, they’ll have to grow up, get over themselves and put some effort into it.  I know people say that I just got it lucky with me and you, but I put effort into it.  I put so much effort into this.  It’s hard work being with you and I know its hard work being with me…”

 

His eyes look sad and I hate that we went from this great moment with us, to this.  But I suck it up and deal with it cause I know he needs me.  I get that.

 

“But I love you and I need you and you make me feel like I can do anything and that…”  I sigh.  “That makes it so easy.  Even when it’s hard, it doesn’t matter cause loving you is easy.  If they want their love life and their relationship to be easy and perfect…then they gotta put work into it and not get defensive about it.”

 

He’s quiet and still staring right out into space.  “People might look at you and think, god she’s hot…”  He turns to me and has a small smile.  “But ya know, you’re fucking smart as hell, too.”

 

I nod my head and say in a snooty voice. “I did graduate top ten in my high school class.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Kay, not really but I was a B student. That means above average.”  He smiles, laughs softly and shakes his head. 

 

I just sit there and wait for him to speak. It always takes time with him, but as long as I give it to him and don’t pry I know he’ll open up to me.  I put my hand against his head and thread my fingers through his thick curls.  Sure enough he sighs and after a few quiet moments he says my name so softly “Mere…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I don’t wanna go back.”  It’s a sad voice and a tired voice and I’m not quiet sure what to make of it.  He’s so ….I don’t know what the word is, but one minute I’ll think I have him figured out and the next he’s so mysterious or something.  It sounds cheesy but it’s true.  He’s so guarded and quiet, even with me sometimes, and sometimes it just makes me a little more cautious.

 

“What?” 

 

He turns and puts an arm around me, pressing his cheek against my stomach.  “Let’s just move out here.  I can just buy this place and we can live here.”

 

It scares me.

 

It scares me because I know he’s serious.

 

And I can’t have him being serious.  Sometimes I think there’s things that go on with him, things he thinks, stuff he’s been through that I don’t know about, that I won’t know about.  I’m ok with that, but it just makes me realize how much he needs me, how he needs me to balance him, to take moments like this, make them playful and light.

 

He needs me to bring him back into reality.

 

“Like the Professor and Ginger?” I say with a slight girly squeal.

 

I need to bring him back into reality, even if doing it means acting ridiculously silly.

 

He chuckles deeply.  “You remind me more of Mary Ann.  I always liked Mary Ann.”

 

“You’d get bored with me after a while.  You’d need a studio and a stage.”

 

He sighs, “I used to think so, and maybe part of me still does.  But sometimes when I think about it, all I need is the feeling I’ve had the past few weeks.”

 

“What’s that?”  I’m still trying to be playful but I don’t know if it’s working.

 

He pushes himself up and looks right at me.  “I don’t know how to describe it.  It’s like being home without all the weird drama and gossip and bull shit that can happen sometimes at home.”  He rolls his eyes and hangs his head.  “Damn, I don’t even know what I’m saying sometimes, Mere.”

 

He eases down, squeezes his arms around me and holds me tight, sliding me down flat against the mattress with him.   “And you still let me say it and you still listen and even if it’s just random babbling crap you still sit there and listen to me as if I’m saying the most important shit in the world.” He pulls back and looks right down into my face, “Sometimes I just look at you and think to myself, why the hell are you with me?  Because I’m an asshole and a fuck up and I’m not this perfect great guy.  You could easily get someone better.”

 

I smile and try to not let his intense words take me over too much. “And you could easily get a playboy bunny to make you look good and give you blow jobs every night.”

 

He smiles distantly. “Ya know a year ago I thought that was what I wanted.  I actually had this conversation with Trace about how Hugh Hephner was the shit, how I wanted to be just like him. But, that’s not what I want.  I think I’ve grown up a lot since then.  God, I used to think I had it all together, that I was this mature man who knew what he wanted and wasn’t going to let anyone get in the way of that.   Fuck relationships, I didn’t need them.  But really that was just the teenage boy in me talking.”

 

I roll my eyes and smack my hands against his shoulders a little. “Puhlease, the teenage boy in you still talks all the time.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“I’m talking about that…”  I wiggle my hips against his.  He’s half hard and I don’t know if it’s just him being relaxed, being on top of me, us being naked, a mix of the three, or just some need he has.  He gets like that sometimes, when he just needs to be with me.

 

“You like that.”  He smirks and leans in and kisses me.

 

I shrug and turn up my nose. “Sometimes.”

 

“All the time.” But he can see through my bull shit and knows exactly that I want him and need him all the time, whenever.

 

I used to think I was weak because of it.  But I know that he needs me too, even when I don’t get it, when I don’t understand it, when I think I’m out in the dark as far as possible, he still needs me there.  It’s not a matter of being able to solve all his problems or understand everything he’s going through.  It’s not a matter of him having this break down with Trace or being closed off or me having this psycho summer with a crazy assistant.

 

It’s about me and him, just us, together.

 

And that’s it.

 

People say we live in our own little world, in our own little bubble and maybe that’s true.  I get what Justin’s saying when he claims he wants to move out here and just be us.  It’s not logical and it’s not going to happen, but we could do it and it would work, because no matter how much shit has happened and how much shit will happen, we’ll still have us and our little stupid bubble, our little, pathetic, sappy world, and nothing can happen to that.

 

Nothing.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 46 by Mere

Chapter 46

Somewhere in Manhattan, 11:03 am

Being back in New York is a strange thing.  It was just a month ago that I was here hiding from the world, freaked out beyond measure about myself, about my relationship with Trace, about everyone in the world hating me—about me hating myself.  And now I’m back here, but I’m calm again.  I'm ok.  I'm focused.

Maybe I need to see a shrink.

 

It’s hot, too.  It’s amazing how hot it is.  Actually it’s not amazing, people just don’t understand that it could be this hot in a northern city.  But it’s August and the sun is reflecting off the buildings and the air is stagnant between them.  There is no breeze, just hot, humid, sticky New York air. 

 

So I'm calm, focused and hot, but I still don’t know what I’m going to say to her.  I still don’t want to go to this meeting, but it has to be done.  Maybe Angie can help me.   Maybe she’ll be able to figure all this out with me.  Ha, like she'd even what to begin to help me sort out the mess I’ve made of my life.

 

Maybe I’m just lost.  But it’s ok.  I just have to breathe and stop being weird like Trace tells me.  I smile for a moment. 

 

He’s, well, as cheesy as this sounds, I’ve kind of realized something in the past few days hanging out with him.  There might always be this weird tension between us and we might not be able to work out a romantic relationship the way we both want it.  But he’s the best fucking friend I’ve had in a long, long time.  And when serious things come before me, he puts all our stupid drama away and listens to me, just like he did last night when I was a little nervous about flying out here.

 

It’s only been a few days, but I really am trying, and I know that’s a stupid pathetic thing to say, because I’ve said it before.  But really, this time I am.  I’m trying to be more self aware and less closed off, and even though I’ve only really been around Trace, there was yesterday morning when he invited me to go get brunch with him and a few of his friends.  At first I was in my normal bitchy mode, shy and nervous about the fact that I knew these people were judging me and wondering what Trace was doing with a girl like me.  But after a smile and a nudge from Trace, and realizing that these people weren't that bad, that they were friend's of Trace and not people out to get me, I tried my hardest to relax a little bit.

 

I guess I've kind of opened my eyes and I've realized how fucking pathetic I’ve been.  Even though I’ve put on this air of being put together, I'm a mess.  I've always done this, even before Keith.  I can blame a lot of stuff on him, but I can't blame my own actions.  I’ve come off horribly.  It’s time I stop trying to relive my life over and make up for the mistakes I’ve made in my past and really live my life in the way I want to, without giving a damn about what other people think about me.

And that's my problem, I acted like I didn't care when I so desperately did.

 

I get it.  I've realized that no matter what I said, how much I preached that I didn’t give a damn who liked me, I did care.  I still fucking care.  I don't want people to think I'm a bitch.  Before, I wanted them to see I wasn’t someone to mess with.  I wanted the world to leave me alone and let me do my job.  I wanted to be so engrossed in my job that I couldn’t think of anything else or how much--  I stop and breathe in deeply. Honestly, I didn’t want to think about how much I didn’t really like myself.

 

But you can't tune out the world and get encompassed in your job when your job happens to be 100% about someone who genuinely wants to get to know you and be your friend.  You can’t be hidden by your job when Meredith Craven starts to ramble to you about silly things.  You can't be a hermit when someone like Trace Ayala gets curious about you.  And as much as I tried to, when Justin Timberlake glares at you, you notice and it hurts your feelings, no matter how much you try to pretend that it doesn’t.

You have to be a people person to be in this business and I finally get that now.

 

And so I realize that maybe I shouldn’t be doing this.  Maybe I'm not cut out to be happy-go-lucky and be enthusiastic to meet people and deal with them all the time.  Maybe I need to be stuck in an office some where doing market reports or something boring so I can be closed off from the world.

 

But I don’t want to be closed off from the world.  I wasn't always like this.  I used to like going out and being with people.  I let some stupid fucking man make me think that I was nothing but shit.  But ya know what?  He honestly didn’t do a damn thing. I could have prevented this myself.  I could have said ‘fuck him’ and moved on with my life, glad I had the bastard gone.  But I gave into it, and even through my change of attitude and my determination to prove him wrong and make something of myself and be successful, I just sunk deeper and deeper into my lonely little hole.

 

I sigh and look up for a moment at the looming towers above me before walking into the office building where Meredith’s management company is located.  It's a big building with lots of other companies and businesses in it.  I manage to slide claustrophobically into the elevator and slip my hand around  few people to press the floor number I need.

 

As the elevator goes up and the crowd thins out, I realize that even though I have no idea what I'm about to do.  But I do know whether I beg for another job, whether I beg to be let go, whether I beg Angie to tell Meredith I think she’s awesome and would love to be her assistant for the rest of my life, whether I do any of those things it will be ok.  I use to hate being out of control in situations like this.  And I could take control, I could say, ok yes, I’m going to quit.  But I just don't know if that’s what I want. 

 

A month ago I would have hated myself because of my indecisiveness, for not being in control and knowing exactly what I want, but now….now it’s ok.  I’ll figure it out. I always do.

I smile.  I guess that's what made things so awkward and tense for Trace and I, especially at the beginning.  I didn't know what I wanted with him.  I mean, now that I look back on it I knew what I wanted, but I knew it would make me out of control so I had to change my entire manner of thinking.  I made a mess of it.

 

I look at my watch, I have fifteen minutes before I have to be in Angie’s office and I know I'll have to wait in her reception area and wait.  I’ll spend those minutes figuring out what I need to do. I will be ok.  I breathe deep and the guy beside me in a suit looks at me strangely.

Whatever. 

 

Less than five floors later I’m at Angie’s front desk, talking to some girl at reception who’s typing loudly and staring wide eyed at the computer screen.  She looks up at me for a minute, smiles and I realize I still don’t have a fucking clue what I’m going to do.

 

I panic inside and say in a forced authoritative tone, “I’m here to see Angie McCrawley…”

 

“Oh yes, Ms. Dawson?”  The girl stands, still smiling.

 

“Yes…”

 

She comes from around her desk, motions for me to follow her and says, “this way,”  before leading me down a hallway to a closed door at the end of it. 

Wow, I'm early.  I expected I would have to wait, but I guess Angie's been waiting on me.  The girl knocks, sticks her head in and talks low to Angie before smiling at me and opening the door the rest of the way.

 

“Courtney!”  Angie says, getting up from her desk and coming around from it to give me a hug.  I’m flabbergasted for a moment.  Her office is huge, cluttered, the walls are mostly windows but she has blinds shut on all them.  Plaques and Frames of Meredith's gold and platinum singles and albums and a couple other things are lying against each other haphazardly.  It's strange, different, much different from when I have been here before.  The hug is kind of weird, too. She pulls back and smiles at me like we’re the oldest friends. “Hey, how was your flight?”

 

I manage a tight smile as she moves some folders off of a chair in front of her cluttered desk and pats it for me to sit.  I sit and hold my purse in my hands. 

 

It’s all unreal.  Whatever happened to the Angie I applied with?  When I came to her office several months ago to meet her about this job the windows were opened, the place was immaculate, she was stern, to the point, not acting as if we were long lost friends.

 

And she didn’t fly me first class for that interview either.  When I called and told her I wanted to meet with her last week she was indifferent about it at first, then called me several days ago telling me to cancel any flight plans I had already made because she was going to take care of everything.

 

“Um, great.  Wasn’t expecting first class or anything,” I say sheepishly as she plops into her desk chair.

 

“My treat for doing such a great job this summer.”

 

I stare at her for a moment.  By now I would think Meredith would have told her I was the worst person on the face of the planet.  Either Meredith hasn’t said a word to her about this summer and especially me ditching her in New York, or she stood up for me and told some pretty big lies.  “Really…”

 

“Yes…”  She smiles with a sigh, but the more I look at her she seems jittery and my nerves feel it as well, as if this is all some act before she fires me with a big dramatic ending.  “So what’s up?”

 

“Well…”  I pause, collect my thoughts.  Shit I still don’t know what I want, so maybe we can just talk it out and she can help me move in the right direction—that is if she doesn’t fire me.  She’s not going to fire me, right?  I mean, she said I did a great job.  She wouldn’t have wasted first class flight if she was going to get rid of me.  Right?

 

“I wanted to talk to you about some things,”  I say, eyeing her carefully.

 

“About Meredith, right?”  She sighs and rolls her eyes like an annoyed teenager.  “About how she’s all over the place all the time?  I understand.”  She waves her hand at me and leans back in her chair, rocking a little bit.  “It doesn’t get easier.  She’s always been this way for as long as I’ve known her.  Now with that Justin guy she’s off the charts.”

 

I stare at her.

 

I just stare.  I’ve never heard her talk about Meredith this way.  I’ve heard her warn me that Meredith can be forgetful or even flighty sometimes, but I’ve never heard her be annoyed with her. Maybe frustrated, maybe concerned, but not annoyed.  I’m wondering if Meredith has said something to Angie to piss her off.  Meredith’s been gone, though for two weeks or more.  “Right…”

 

“She called and told me that you guys had a big fight at the end of the tour.”  I suck in a silent breath and just stare at her.  So, she knows.  “But she wants to deal with it and she said she was leaving it up to you if you want to stick with her or not.”

 

“Yeah,” I nod.  That’s what I’m here to talk to you about.”

 

Angie shakes her head and says in a grave, stern voice “You gotta stick with her Courtney.”

 

“Oh…”  I don’t know what else to say.  I thought she was going to encourage me to quit by the way she was talking about how annoying Meredith was, how she wasn’t going to get any better.  I’m confused.  Beyond confused.

 

“Look…” In that word I blink and I do look at Angie and I question everything about her in that moment.  She licks her lips and talks with her hands as she leans over the desk.  “She doesn’t trust people easily and she trusts you.  Hell, she doesn’t really trust me that much and, and how am I going to keep tabs on her if I don’t have someone working for me who she trusts.”

 

I keep staring at her, looking at her, and I speak slowly, “I can understand that, I think…”

 

She cuts me off abruptly and asks, “Do you know where she’s at right now?”

 

“On vacation,” I answer quickly.  I figured Angie would know this. She shakes her head as if to say “duh I know that, you idiot” and continues, “The name.  The number.  Anything.”

 

“Oh…” I say, I didn’t realize that’s what she was asking for.  I’m pretty sure Mere and Justin didn’t tell anyone where they were going, least of all me.  Hell I haven’t spoken to her since the tour. “No.  I mean I have her cell phone number but I highly doubt she has it turned on, if she even took it with her.”

 

“Hmm…” Angie leans back a little and taps her finger against her lips and then snaps her finger and looks at me with widened eyes.  “That boyfriend of yours, Trace.  You think he could get the number or the name of the place?”

 

I’m confused, beyond confused and suddenly feel like I’m left out on some big secret.  Maybe something major is going on and I ask, “Excuse me, Angie, is there an emergency or is something going on?”

 

She answers immediately with a shrug, “Just a deadline.”

 

My ears ring, “What?”

 

“Does Justin’s assistant know where they are at?” 

 

“Yeah, he does,” I say.

 

She immediately starts rummaging through a drawer in her desk. “Can you find out for me and get the information?”

 

I’m perplexed and confused.  This whole meeting has turned into something I’m not sure what to do with.  “Angie, I don’t know if-“

 

She stops rummaging for a moment and stares at me, “If I pay you five thousand dollars would you do it.”

 

I stare at her.  I can’t do anything but stare at her.  I want to gasp, I want to laugh, I want to say, what the fuck.  But I can’t.  I just stare. 

 

Because I get it now.  I understand everything.

 

All of it from the beginning.  Everything I was unsure of, everything I didn’t understand, I do now.

 

It doesn’t happen slowly, it doesn’t smack me upside the head and turn me baffled.  I just get it and everything is so fucking clear.

 

“All you have to do is ask for the name of the place and I’ll write a check right now.”

 

I keep staring at her until I lick my lips and she plops a check book on her desk.  I glance at it and then at her and ask, “Five thousand dollars?”

 

“I know you aren’t dumb and I know you’re a smart girl.  That’s why I hired you.  You seemed like you were someone who wouldn’t get attached easily and I need that.”  She shakes her head, grabs a pen and folds back the check book cover and starts to write. “Leah was fluke.  It took her years to get what I needed and when she finally got the material she broke down sobbing and didn’t even want the money.   She took off and ran, poor girl, can’t even handle it.’ 

 

She sighs and says, “Ya know I don’t like seeing Meredith upset.  It’s annoying honestly, but she’s bringing in the bucks now and being with Justin…”  She smiles at me and nods her head.  “The money is flying at us, now.  I gotta keep her out there.  Celebrities without stories are nothing!  She needs a story and people want to read it.  All I gotta do is get the name—get the name and I get someone to get down there and get a story for me, maybe even a picture if I’m lucky.” 

 

I continue to stare, I can’t believe what I’m hearing.  I can’t believe she’s just going to write me a check for a stupid name of where they are staying.  Ha!  I wonder if I should negotiate with her or something.

 

This is…I don’t even know how to describe it. It all finally fucking makes sense.

 

Angie shrugs and says in a sympathetic voice,   “It helps her out too, ya know?  Keeps her popular.”

 

“I see.”  I nod.  I can’t speak. I can’t say anything else.  My mind is running wild.

 

Angie stares at me for a moment and then drops her pen onto the desk and grabs her checkbook and holds it tightly in her hands.  “If you don’t want to do it, that’s fine.  But know I can’t keep you around as her assistant if you can’t.  I can find you some other person to assist.  I’ve got connections all over this place.  If you do want to do it, I’m willing to give you a raise and share the reward for any information you let me leak.  And believe me, these fucking magazines pay a hefty price, especially when you get proof of shit.”

 

I nod again and lean forward on her desk.  “I bet.”

 

“You’ve been a great help all summer.  The stories I’ve gotten from you all over tour have been fantastic.  After that pregnancy story leaked, I had so many offers from so many companies.  She was hot after that.  She still is hot.  And when you told me how annoying they were being in Vegas all over each other, I had so many nightclubs call me up telling me they’d pay her and me to just have her show up there sometime for a couple of minutes. Your information this summer has been great.  I really do appreciate it.”

 

Wow, fucking wow.  I just wish I had known.  I fucking wish I had known.  How things would be different now.  I wouldn’t even be here now begging for my job or whatever it is I was planning to do here.  I’d be fucking set.  If only I had known. I shrug and smile back at her, “Well, you asked me to keep tabs so, I figured I’d do my best.”

 

“You did a great job.”

 

I nod and lean back in my chair, calm and relaxed.  “I can get you that name, but I’ll need until later tonight, maybe tomorrow.  I gotta call Trace and sneak my way so I can get the name or the number.  I’m not sure what all he has planned today, but once I get it figured out I’ll let you know.”

 

Angie smiles, rips the check from the book and waves it in the air at me, “And your check will be waiting.”

 

“Cool.” I smile back at her and grab at my purse.  I need to get out of here and make that phone call to Trace now.

 

“You have lunch plans?”  She asks me.

 

“Actually I do,”  I say.  “I’m meeting an old friend of mine to catch up.”

 

“That’s nice.  Let me know when you get the info.  I’ll take you out for dinner or drinks.  We’ll celebrate.”

 

I stand up and she does the same, the check now laying on her desk, completely unguarded.  “Sounds good.”

 

“Thanks Court,” she says, touching my shoulder and then opening the door for me.  She smiles and nudges me a little bit.  It’s like we’re in this secret club now. Like someone’s finally fucking accepted me.  I hate to say it, but it feels good.  “It’s good to have you on board with me.”

 

“Yeah, it’s nice to be here,” I say.  I wave and leave and walk straight of there, smiling at the receptionist and waiting on the elevator.  I’m silent the entire way down.  I can only think of one thing: calling Trace.

 

When I reach the bottom and exit the building, I lean against the wall and everything hits me.  I sigh out, “Oh…my god…” and I panic.  I fucking panic and search through my purse for my phone.  I’m frantic and I know I look crazy.  I grab at it and freeze for a moment.  I have to call Trace.

 

I dial his number as fast as possible and some how, with some new found energy, I speedily walk down the sidewalk.  I don’t even know where I’m going.  I’m just walking.  I just got to go.  I can’t stop. 

 

“Trace…”  I say into the phone and then groan when it just rings and rings and finally his voicemail picks up.  “Fucking pick up! Dammit!”  I growl and snap the phone close.

 

Shit, what am I going to do?

 

A second later it starts ringing and I pick it up frantically. “Hello!”

 

“Hey there…”  It’s Trace.  His voice is calm, relaxed, smooth, like always, and I try to pretend that I am too, but it’s no use.

 

Five fucking thousand dollars for a damn phone number...

 

“I need the number to where Meredith and Justin are staying,”  I say immediately and then curse at myself for asking.  I stop at a crosswalk, waiting with so many other people, wishing I could just keep walking and walking so that my momentum would never stop.  I feel like I’m on a high.

 

“What s wrong?”  He asks immediately, concerned.  Poor fucking Trace.  If only he knew what just happened.

 

I close my eyes for a moment and walk across the street with the foot traffic.  “Trace I just need the fucking number.”

 

“Whoa, whoa!” I hear noise in the background, music and laughter.  He’s hanging out with people and his voice is now quiet and so worried,  “What happened?”

 

“I…”   I suck in a breath and say, “I just had my meeting with Angie.”

 

“Oh…”  Trace says and he sighs, then speaks in a cautious tone, “did she fire you?”

 

I bite my lip and see a bench.  It’s dirty and covered in old gum, and I don’t care because it’s empty.  I sit down and say as fast as possible, “She offered me five thousand dollars to get the number or name of where Meredith and Justin were staying.”

 

“What?” he says sharply.  It’s quiet.  I can barely hear anything as sirens are close on the next block over.  Finally, I hear him asks, “Courtney, are you…”

 

“Yes Trace, I’m fucking serious.”  I ramble, I can’t stop it.  My mind and heart are going crazy, only not stopping, thinking in overdrive and my heart is beating rapidly and hard in my chest.  I feel like I just ran  twenty blocks.  

 

“I’ve gotta let Meredith know that, that it’s been Angie this whole fucking time.  She even admitted to me that with Leah it was her.  She fucking like blackmailed her I’m sure.  Oh my god, I just have to let Meredith know that her fucking manager has been leaking shit her entire career and oh my god, Trace.  Oh my god I did, too!  I was leaking every time...”

 

“Courtney…” I hear him say calmly and I lean forward on the bench and hold my head in my hands, keeping the phone by my ear.  His voice is the only thing that’s keeping me in check right now.  I can’t.  I just can’t believe that it was her this whole time.  And I was so stupid, so fucking stupid to rat to her about everything.  At least I know now, at least I can try to do something to stop this.  I gotta stop this.  “You need to fucking calm down.  Slow down.”

 

“She asked me to keep tabs on Meredith this summer and I did.  I did a damn good job.  Every time I thought I was just venting to Angie, or letting her know how Meredith or Justin were doing I thought, well I thought I was being a friend, being helpful.  Angie acted sometimes like we were friends, like she was so concerned about Meredith.  Meredith never told Angie any of the crap that would happen on tour and wouldn’t open to up to her, so I figured it was my job to help that gap.  I figured it was Angie’s responsibility to know.”

 

Trace is quiet and says slowly, “So you told her about the pregnancy and about …”

 

“Everything,”  I say.  I feel like I might cry.  I can’t believe that I did that without realizing it, without even thinking about how Meredith might feel about her manager knowing everything about her.  “Everyday on tour I called her at 10 in the morning and right before Meredith took the stage.  Everyday Trace!”

 

“Yeah,” he speaks slowly, like he’s thinking very hard.  “Now that you talk about it I remember you talking to her at least twice a day.”

 

“I’m a fucking fool.  Meredith’s going to hate me, even more than she does now.  Oh god Trace, Justin’s going to...”

 

“Do nothing to you,” he says interrupting me.  “Except maybe…”  He pauses. “Look, just breathe.  Did you freak out when she told you?”

 

“No, I …” I laugh at myself for trying to be all incognito about it.  “I tried to act like I was into it and a part of it and going to get her the information, because I knew if I freaked out on her she’d somehow backstab me against Meredith and she needs to know the truth.  So I lied and told Angie I’d have the info for her by tomorrow morning.”

 

‘Look, I can be there in four hours or so.”

 

I shake my head and push myself up off the bench and keep walking, slowly this time, only paying attention to his voice, “Trace no.  You don’t have to.”

 

“You’re freaking out,” he says with a calm laugh.  “You need me there and hell, I think I need to see you in person and talk about this.  And we need to talk about this with Meredith and Justin, immediately.  Johnny’s in his office in New York this week anyway.  I can talk with him about it, too.  If this is what is going on, if Angie has been doing this bull shit, then we’re going to fix it as soon as possible.  It’ll take you longer to get a ticket and fly back to LA and the last thing I want right now is for Meredith’s manager to figure out that you are going to tell Meredith.  She needs to think that Meredith is in the dark about this for as long as possible.  There’s going to be repercussions here, money, lawyers, a lot of bull shit if she has time to plan this against you.”

 

I take a breath.  Maybe I’m acting silly.  It’s not a big deal.  Just Angie being a money hungry bitch.  That’s all.  It has little to do with me.  I was quitting anyway, right?  I can get out of this.   “I feel like I’m over reacting.  Like I need to calm down,” I say to him.

 

“Yes you do, but you aren’t over reacting.  This is major shit Courtney and you did everything perfectly. Fucking brilliant girl.  I’m going to go, though. I’m going to get my shit together and I’ll be there as soon as I can, alright?  I’ll keep you posted and I’ll call you later and we’ll meet up.”

 

I laugh, and I realize I’m not being silly.  Because despite everything I’ve ever said, I do care about Meredith and maybe part of me even cares a little tiny bit about Justin, maybe not.  Still, they don’t deserve this.  And now, to know that Angie’s bull shit, and her lies made this summer really rocky for me, well it fucking hurts me.  If only she wasn’t trying to sell Meredith as a tabloid celebrity, then maybe Justin wouldn’t have hated me. Maybe everything would have worked out.

 

But she was the one that hired me.  And now, I’m going to be the one to fix this.  I have to fucking fix this no matter how messy it’s going to be.

 

I need Trace here.  I need him here to tell me what to do.  “What the hell am I supposed to do for the next few hours?”

 

“Go …I don’t know, shop,” he laughs and then says, “or I don’t know Courtney.  Go back to the hotel, have a drink, watch some TV or a movie and I’ll call you as soon as I land.  Don’t call anyone, don’t freak out.  Just wait for me, ok?”

 

I suck in a breath and realize that I’m going the exact opposite direction of my hotel.  I turn around and say calmingly, “And then we’ll call Meredith?”

 

“Yeah.  We’ll call them together, ok?”

 

“Ok…”  I say, feeling my heart beat slow.

 

“Courtney…”  Trace says.  I answer “uh huh” and replies into the phone with a deep laugh, “You just did the coolest thing ever.  You’re like a super hero and some little detective and it’s really sexy.” 

 

“Shut up,” I say and roll my eyes, feeling my chest tighten a little at his flirting.

 

“You like it.”  He teases and I smile slightly.  “I’m gonna go get my shit together.”

 

“Ok.”

 

“Breathe Court…”  I can see him smiling, thousands of miles away and I can see him smiling at me.  And no matter what kind of mind fuck I just had, or how paranoid or out of control I am right now, I still fucking took control and Trace is coming to see me, and I’m ok with myself.

 

And I’m smiling back at him.

 

“I am….”  I say. I hang up and I keep walking.  My thoughts won’t stop and soon my smile falls and I nibble on my bottom lip until it’s raw.

 

But then I start smiling again, because I’m going to be ok.  Meredith is going to be ok.  This will all work out.  And…and Trace is coming here.

 

I know I could be wrong, I know this might blow up in my face, but still.  Trace is coming to see me.

 

And I’ll be ok.

 

Chapter 47 by Mere

 

Chapter 47

 

By the Pool, 4:59 p.m.

 

Today is completely over cast.  Still, she’s out here in a bikini, in a pool chair, reading with a glass of white wine beside her.  I want to hang out inside or go walk on the beach, but she just wants to lay here and read this book.  And I’m, well, kind of bored.  I walk closer and sit on the edge of the chair beside her and just stare at her.  She’s so indifferent to me right now, her eyes scanning over the page, her mouth slightly forming the words as she reads.  It’s cute.  She’s cute.  But I’m fucking bored.

 

I sigh and scratch the back of my neck.  I stare at her and reach across the space between us, seeing if she’ll notice me.  I hook my finger into the loop of her bikini bottom, right where they tie and I tug.  She smacks my hand and keeps reading.

 

Dammit…

 

I guess I could go see if something’s on the TV even though I know it won’t be.  It’s late August, no football yet, no basketball.  There might be a baseball game on, but I don’t keep up with it like I should.  And watching golf well, I mean I like it…but I want to do something.  I feel like a five year old on a road trip. Nothing entertains me.

 

But her. 

 

I sigh and lay back on the chair, figuring I’ll get comfortable and try to nap out here.  I cross my fingers and rest my hands over my stomach and close my eyes and breathe deep. 

 

Unfortunately I’m not that tired, and even with my eyes closed I can picture her perfectly, every single inch.  That bikini really does look so good on her.  The top is all tight against her breasts and dips low against her hips, just a few inches above her…

 

I suck in a breath and bite on my bottom lip, my eyes still closed, thinking about her body.  Maybe she’d want to swim with me.  Or maybe we could take a bath and I could hold her.  She could still read.  We don’t have to have sex.  I just, well, I kind of want to feel up on her all naked. 

 

I turn my head and look at her.  Shit, she’s really got nice tits, and the top is tiny, so the bottom of it is kind of a half an inch from where her tits stick out.  It’s sexy, seeing that little bit of plump flesh. She flips a page and one kind of flexes.  But her tits, god, they’re so soft.  I bite my lip.

 

I put my arms up in a stretch and lean to the left, letting my hand go behind her head a little bit so I can massage her neck.  

 

I smirk and start to tug on the strings against her neck.  She doesn’t notice at first and I feel one of the loops loosen as I pull.

 

But then she does notice and she jumps and glares at me, smacking the book down on her chair.  “Justin, I’m serious.  Stop it.”

 

“You like it.”  I smirk, leaning over and moving my hand from her shoulder down over her chest, my fingers in between her cleavage. 

 

She pushes my hand away again, stands up, glares, grabs the towel that was under her and says, “leave me alone,” before juggling her other things and trotting over to the other end of the pool where there’s a lawn chair by itself.  She curls up in it, draping the towel over her.  She huffs and rolls her eyes at me before opening her book again.

 

“Geez, fine…”  I say and raise my hands up in defense before smacking them down against my thighs.  I get up and walk towards the house, rolling my eyes at her as she rolls her eyes at me when I pass her.  Damn, she must be getting her period.  Or must be getting tired of me or something.  Maybe she’s ready to go home.  We do only have a couple more days.

 

And I guess I am being totally unfair to her.

 

I have been kind of annoying today.  I mean, we’ve been together almost every moment since we got here.  Yesterday I wanted to be by myself a little bit and she didn’t complain and didn’t annoy me.  She laid out in the sand while I surfed.  It wasn’t that I didn’t want to be around her.  I just wanted to hang out by myself a little.  It’s been a little intense and heavy with us, especially since I gave her that diamond.

 

I’ll find myself just glancing at her all the time or she’ll just stare at me with this look, this so-in-love, but questioning look, as if she can’t believe that I really gave her that. After I gave her that, sometimes we’d be talking and she’d lean forward and kiss me so passionately and then pull back and apologize. Or sometimes when she’s just getting something from the fridge I’ll find myself latched on to her, holding her so tight until she says, “Justin?” and I have to stop and bring myself back to reality.

 

I just needed to step away from her for a few hours yesterday and gather my thoughts, ya know?  So I did. And she never once questioned it or acted hurt.  She smiled and said, “Cool, I wanna get started on this book anyway.”

 

It was a good day, surfing and every now and then seeing her just laying there on the sand, paying no mind to me.  We had both been outside for a while, I surfed for hours and hours that day.  She was lying out in the sand, ignoring me and I concentrated on my board and the waves.  Finally, I got out and laid on the sand a little ways away from her.  I didn’t even have my towel.  I just laid under this palm tree and closed my eyes.  I was tired but calm, invigorated but exhausted.  It was exactly what I needed to calm me down, cool me off, and settle my mind.

 

And then I heard her calling my name all worried, panicked.   I sat up and looked towards her.  I had to squint to see her, standing there several hundred feet from me.  I saw her standing on the edge of the shore, looking around, calling my name out into the ocean.

 

Then she started screaming my name.

 

I scrambled off where I was in the sand and called out to her.  She looked towards me and put one hand to her chest and the other to her forehead, and I could see her sigh from that distance.  I guess she didn’t see me get out and she thought maybe I had drowned.  I ran up all covered and sticky with sand and held her and she just held back, mumbling weakly, “I didn’t see you.”

 

We went inside after that.  We showered and laid out on the porch together.  It was quiet, we didn’t talk.  She kept reading and I brought out my guitar and worked on some melodies.  It was nice, being together without really doing anything together.

 

And I guess it’s unfair that after spending hours by myself yesterday I can’t seem to give her space today.

 

So I plop down on the couch and look around.  I need to give her her time.   

 

I’m just so fucking bored.

 

I sit here for awhile, not even thinking about anything, just sitting, staring off into space.  I sigh and grab the remote.  I guess I’ll have to watch something.  Maybe I’ll fall asleep and when I wake up, she’ll come in and be ready to hang out again.

 

It sucks too that I’m half horny.  I know I just need to deal with it and get over it with as much sex as I’ve been having lately.  I have no fucking reason to complain.  She just looks too good sometimes.  I just can’t help myself.

 

I roll my eyes and start to flip through the channels.  This is going to fucking suck.  I don’t want to sit here bored by crap TV.  Ugh.

 

I flip five channels and roll my eyes when all that seems to be on are stupid court room shows.

 

The phone rings.

 

I stop.  I turn the TV off and put the remote down.  I crane my head to the kitchen to stare at it.  That phone has never ringed.  We’ve used it to call in dinner orders and request stuff from the staff here, but they’ve never called us. 

 

I push myself up and quickly shuffle over to the phone and pick it up, completely baffled.  “Uh, hello?”

 

“Hey, is Meredith there?” 

 

I pause.

 

It’s Trace. 

 

What the fuck?  He wants Meredith?

 

“Whoa, Trace,” I say.  I didn’t expect to hear from him.  I told him to call only in….in…shit, in an emergency.  “Um…hi.”

 

“Hey, we need you and Meredith both on the phone.  Actually we just need Meredith, but I know that you’ll butt in anyway.”

 

“Um….”  I swallow the lump in my throat and lean against the wall.  “We? What…”  My mind stops all thought and I have to shake my head to get it working again.  “Trace you need to back up about five steps and talk to me instead of rambling.”

 

“I’ll explain as soon as you get Meredith on the phone, ok?”

 

“Is everything ok?”  I say panicked.  “No one is like…sick or –“

 

“No, no…”  He says and I sigh.  “Just go get her.”  I tell him to hold on and I jog to the deck and call out her name.

 

“Mere….” She doesn’t answer and I walk further out to where I can see the edge of the pool.  “Mere!”  I yell.

 

“What!”  She yells back at me and puts her book down.

 

“You need to come inside,” I say sternly.  “Trace is on the phone.”

 

“Is everything ok?” She calls out, leaving everything out on her chair, even her towel, and quickly walking over to me.  She looks worried and there is panic in her voice.

 

“I think so,” I shrug.  “But he wants to talk to you.”  I follow her as she quickly marches back into the kitchen and picks up the phone.

 

“Trace?”  She asks and I lean against the counter and stare at her. 

 

“Put it on speaker,” I say. She nods and presses a button on the base of the phone and puts the phone back on it.

 

“Hey, I’m with Courtney,” Trace says over the line.

 

“Is everything ok?”  I ask, seeing Mere just standing there staring at the phone, not blinking.

 

“Sorta…”  Trace says then laughs a little.  “Not really.”

 

“Oh my god…”  Meredith says.  And I walk over to her and touch her shoulder.  I don’t know what else to do.  I don’t know what they are going to say.  If someone in Mere’s family is hurt…shit…what are we going to do?  Breathe Justin. 

 

“I’ll let Courtney explain.”

 

“Court?”  Mere says and the way she says it is heart-wrenching, and I put my other hand on her other shoulder, bracing her for whatever they are about to say.  He said it wasn’t bad, I mean, not really bad…I guess. Right?

 

“I had my meeting with Angie today,” Courtney says. 

 

“Oh….”

 

It’s quiet over the line after that and Mere’s shoulders are still tense under my hands, but I can see the air thinning.  So it’s not her family.  Good.  But then they don’t say anything and I have to call out, “guys?” to get them to speak up.

 

“And I don’t know how the fuck to say this Meredith, but just to say it,”  Courtney says in a big breath.  I don’t know what is about to happen and I can’t say that I’m not mad at hearing her voice right now.  I’m furious.  I don’t know what she’s going to say and if she ruins my vacation with Meredith, fuck, I don’t know what I’ll do.  I’ve tired, I’ve said so many times to Mere on this trip that I really am going to try, and that if Courtney stays her assistant I’ll be as nice as I can to her.

 

But right now I can’t think.  All I know is Mere is tense, something’s happened and Courtney’s voice is trembling as she speaks over the line. 

 

Finally, after way too long, she says quickly, rambling and fast, “Angie’s the one that’s been leaking stuff to the press.  She’s the one that coaxed Leah into selling those pictures.  She offered me money to find out where you guys were staying.”

 

Everything stops.  Meredith’s shoulders stay tense and I feel my hands squeeze them.  I have to pull back from her so I don’t hold her too tight, and I lean against the counter, stare off into space and cross my hands over my chest.  No one says anything and I can’t stand it. 

 

Are…are they serious?  No, no….Angie might be a little tightly wound but she wouldn’t do that.  She’s been with Meredith for years, before she got big.  Courtney must be lying or, or stupid or…

 

But why would she do that?  And Trace is there.  If Trace is there…

 

“Are you telling me,” I say slowly.  “That Meredith’s manager has been the one…”

 

“I was fucking floored when I found out,” Courtney says and in her voice, for some reason, I can believe it.  She seems shocked, aggravated and the worry in her voice is so prominent that it would be impossible for her to feign it.  Still, I don’t know what to think.  “But I told her I’d get the info for her, so she wouldn’t be tipped off.  Trace flew to New York and we called you guys.  I’m fucking freaked out.”

 

I stare at Meredith and she’s just staring at the phone, not blinking.  I still don’t understand it and Meredith is paralyzed. 

 

“I called Johnny to keep him on hold because I didn’t know if he could be of any use.  I’m not sure if Mere’s lawyers have connections with Angie, so I didn’t know if she would need some help,” Trace says. 

 

“And I feel fucking horrible, Meredith,” Courtney says.  She almost sounds like she’s crying, but I don’t care.  I just stare at Meredith as she stares at the phone.  “This whole summer she asked me to keep tabs on you for your benefit and I did.  I didn’t think it was anything bad, but I guess every fucking time I told her anything that you were doing, even when it was just me running my stupid mouth, she took that shit and sold it.  She claims it helps you out, brings in more money and publicity.”

 

“Yeah, it’s such bull shit.”  Trace says, laughing bitterly.  “I mean I know people leak shit all the time to help people get their name out there, but usually the fucking person knows about it.  Usually it’s not this thing behind their back.”

 

“I just feel so bad because I had no fucking idea and if I did I would have never said anything to her.  I thought I was doing my job and now it makes sense why every damn thing that happened on tour did get out.  It was me!  I just had no fucking clue that I was doing it.  And I feel fucking horrible!”

 

"You did a good job.  You did a great job today, Court,” Trace says.

 

I stare at my girl.  I can only stare at my girl and listen to them.  I move my eyes down to where her arms are hanging by her sides.  Her fingers are shaking. 

 

Shit Meredith…

 

I slide closer to her and try to grab her hand and give her a hug or something.  This….this is…this is heavy.  I mean fuck, I can’t say I’m not relieved that no one’s sick or hurt….but fuck me.  It doesn’t make sense.  I only half understand it.  Maybe they are mistaken.

 

But…but…

 

Angie?  This whole fucking time?

 

I shake my head and whisper, “Mere…” and grab at her hands.

 

She jerks away from me and walks silently out of the kitchen, through the den and out onto the deck.   I stare after her.

 

I just stare at her and my heart breaks for her as she falls down into one of the chairs on the deck.

 

“Guys?”  I hear over the phone.

 

“You uh,” I say, sighing heavily.  “You’re gonna have to give us a minute.  Meredith just walked out of the room.”

  

“Justin…”  I hear Courtney address me and I pause and stare at the phone.  “I’m really sorry if this has upset your vacation.  I just, I wanted to let you guys know as soon as possible.  I didn’t want her running off to Meredith with some story.  I knew if I told her off in her office or anything she would immediately retaliate somehow.  I didn’t know how much Meredith trusted me over her, and I just didn’t want her getting used or hurt more than she was.”

 

I take a deep breath and say as calmly into the phone as I can, as honestly as I can, because honestly, even though my reaction is to fly back to New York and rip Angie fucking McCrawley a new asshole right now, I am thankful to Trace…and to Courtney.

 

“No, I understand.  Thanks Courtney, I’m…”  I check myself and say softly, “I am very glad you called and told us this.  Just, just right now I think I gotta calm down and…”

 

“Go take care of your girl,” Trace says.

 

I nod to myself and try to force myself into rational mode, in the mode that I slip into when shit needs to get done.  “Keep Johnny on call.  Go ahead and tell him what you guys know.  Tell him to expect a call from me in an hour or thereabouts.”

 

“We’ll get this fixed, man.”

 

“Yeah…” I say, and I pick up the receiver of the phone and let it fall back into place, ending the phone call.

 

Fuck.

 

I try to calm my own anger so that I can try to comfort my girl.  But nothing works.  Everything is just crashing back into me. Every fucking bit of it. All the fights from this summer about shit about us in the media, all the times I've over reacted, all the times I've held my tongue.  All the fucking times she’s cried over that shit with her and Leah.  It’s all so clear now and it pisses me off.  I can’t get the image of her completely broken down on the sofa in the studio out of my head.  She was so lost then.  She just sat there and broke down on me, fucking sobbed her eyes out in front of a stranger.  I barely even knew her then and she was so scared and so lost and just wanting someone to make it go away.  I tried my best to make her feel better.

 

And that was when I knew nothing about her.  Now I fucking know everything about her, and I know that she’s a strong girl, I know she can do anything and I have more faith in her than I do myself.  But this is the second time in a year that someone she believed and trusted in turned around and completely broke her down, lied, and ruined any faith she had in them. I just hope I can remember what I did last time, cause dammit, I don’t want to see her like that again.

 

I walk out onto the deck and look at her.  She’s just sitting there, curled up, her arms around her legs, her mouth pressed into her knees, her nose resting on the top of one of them.  Tears, fucking tears are just streaming silently out of her eyes as she stares off out into space. 

 

I sigh and move closer to her.  I hate this and I hate what that bitch has done to her.

I situate myself so I’m straddling the chair behind her and lean forward a bit and I wrap my arms completely around her.

 

She lets out a soft sob when I touch her and sniffs as I hold her and press my head into her bare shoulder.     

“It’s ok,” I whisper.  I feel lame and insignificant and wish I could say the perfect thing and make it all be ok.

 

She's silent for a few moments and then wipes her nose against her arm and says harshly, “I feel like one big joke.”

 

I look around for a moment and see a towel draped across the deck chair beside us.  It must have been left from where she was out here eating lunch today.  I reach down, grab it and I hand it to her so she can wipe her face with it.  As she does, I think about what she just said, about being a joke and I laugh a little and shake my head at myself, thinking about what’s just happened, about what we both know now.

 

“So do I…”

 

She pulls the towel down and turns to look at me over her shoulder, “What?”

 

I loosen my hold around her a little bit and say calmly, trying to keep my voice even,  “All summer I fucking blamed an innocent person when it was that fucking bitch the whole time.”

 

“But you were right,” she says, still turned to me.  She smiles for a moment and shrugs

 

“Huh?”

 

“She was leaking stuff…”  She shakes her head and wipes at her eyes with her fingers.  “Court was, she just had no idea.”  She then shakes her head again and leans back against me, relaxing into me so I can lean back against the chair.  But she's crying still.  “Fucking hell, Justin!  I had no idea!  I knew when Leah did that shit it was not right.  I knew it wasn’t like her.  But, but....Angie?”  She looks at me so lost and desperate.  "I...I just..."  She shakes her head and says dejectedly. “I should have known.

 

“How could you?”

 

“Angie’s always been strange, always worried about press and about money and the spotlight.  I thought she just cared about my career and me being successful and reaching my dreams.” She turns and curls up into me more.  I keep holding her. “I should have known.”

 

I rub her back and say to her, “You trusted her.  She was with you from the beginning, Meredith. She helped manage your career from the time you started getting popular.  You had no reason not to trust her.”

 

“Maybe she’s right.  Maybe like, I fucking need stupid stories and publicity to make myself worth anything.”

 

“Shut up,”  I say sternly and she bows her head into my chest.  She knows I hate it when she gets like this.  I shake her for a moment and lean down and press my lips into the top of her head and whisper softly, “just shut up.”

 

She does shut up and she clings to me.  And I lean my head back and stare up at the trees.  Fuck, fuck, fuck.  I hate this.  I know she’ll be ok, I know we’ll be ok, but I hate that she has to go through this….again.

 

She doesn’t deserve it.  She’s done not one damn thing to deserve this.

 

“I don’t even know what the fuck to do,”  she says several minutes later.  I can tell she’s calmer now, and I feel calmer immediately as well.  My shirt’s a little wet from her tears, but they’ve stopped flowing and she’s stopped sniffing.    “I don’t even know how to comprehend this.”

 

“You don’t have to,” I say and she looks up at me.  “I’ll take care of it.”

 

“No…”  She shakes her head and uncurls her legs from under her and spreads them out in front of her on the lawn chair.  Mine are still to the sides of the chair, bent and my bare feet pressing into the stone deck.

 

“Meredith,”  I say and I hold her tight and look at the back of her head. I stare at those damned strings behind her neck that a few minutes before I was trying to undo.  “I’ve got the best fucking manager in the damn business.  We’ll fucking figure this out.  My mom and Paul know all about the business, too.  We got people that can help us get rid of Angie easily, people that I know genuinely care about you.”

 

She leans back against me, head against my shoulder.  I look down at her and she looks pitiful and won't look me in the eye.  “I just want to go home.”

 

And I won’t stand for it.  “Stop acting so defeated,” I say and she looks at me a little wary and a little shocked.  “You’ve got me.  Who the hell was she anyway?  You never were friends with her.  She’s nothing!  Just some bitch and we’ll kick her to the curb.”

 

“Where the hell am I gonna find a new manager?”  She laughs for a moment and even though I know it was a worried laugh, at least I got to see her smile for a second.

 

“You sell yourself way too short sometimes.  You’re the hottest female singer in the business right now, Mere.  Anyone would be a fool not to want you.”

 

She sighs and looks down.  She shrugs after a moment, frowning.  “You we're right the other night.  Let’s just move out here and forget everything and live on a beach and not care.”

 

“Shh…”  I say, wishing I hadn't sad that in that moment.  I wasn't lying then, but I know it's impossible.  It's a fantasy, and maybe one day when I'm older, with her, we will move away and just be together and leave all this mess behind.  But right now we can’t.  We're both too far in it.

And we both are way too in love with it.  One day other things will be more important to us, but right now, being on stage and making music is a priority.

I kiss the side of her head.  “Just stop worrying.  I’m gonna take care of you.  I’m always going to take care of you.”

 

She nods and finally, fucking finally relaxes completely into me.  She even takes one of my hands and plays with it with her own.  I know then when she does that that she’ll be ok.  She might freak out all night and her moods the next day might bounce from one extreme to the other.

 

But she’ll be ok.  I’ll be damned if she not ok.

 

“I told you Courtney was nice,” she says after a moment and then looks up at me, sticking her tongue out.  She’s forcing playfulness, but I don’t mind.

 

“I’m not going to say that me and her are best friends now, but I think I deserve to let her have free range to slap me a few times.”  I nod and she just stares at me.  “God Mere I knew she was nice, too.  I’m just a fucking dick sometimes.  I needed someone to blame.”  Now I feel defeated.  She was right.  I was wrong.

 

And the sad thing was the whole fucking summer, a tiny little part of me kept saying over and over, “You’re gonna regret this Justin.  You’re gonna be the fool in the end.  She’s not evil.”  I really am a fool now.

 

“Let's not talk about it,” she says animatedly.  She makes a funny face.  She’s still forcing it, but at least her eyes are sparkling.  “Let's not go back to the past where everything just sucks.”

 

I stare at her and smile a little.  There’s so much about our past that I would never want to forget, even some of the bull shit I’ve pulled, because the way she's taken me back sometimes and the feeling of making her smile after an argument, it's almost worth the crap. And making up with her, having sex with her, is worth the bull shit sometimes.  No...all the time…it’s always worth it.  When I lean in and say, “Everything?” and press my fingers in at her sides, she knows what I’m talking about. 

 

“Shut up,” she says, wiggling in my arms for a moment.  I lean in and kiss her neck and she turns to me and stares at me before kissing me just for a moment, so, so softly.  She pulls back, smiles and then jumps up from me with some new restored energy.   “I want the phone.”

 

And I want to kiss her again.

She walks back into the house and I follow her into the kitchen.  She really is hot in that bikini.  I know I know, I'm being a dick.  I should want to be with her and around her for emotional support, not because she's so hot.  I just can't help myself sometimes. 


I watch her as her back is to me.  She picks up the phone, looks at it and then at me.  “What do I dial?”

 

“Dial 9 to get out of the system,” I say and I pick up an apple that’s in the bowl there on the counter and bite into it.  Meredith was upset a couple days ago when she had ordered a bowl of fruit and they brought her one with apples in it.  She was concerned that a tropical place was carrying a non-tropical fruit.  She talked about it for an hour and I just sat there on the couch, laying, watching her and smirking.  I've never been able to just watch a woman and be so content as I can be with her.

Like I'm doing right now.

 

She presses nine then stops and stares back at me.  “I don’t know her number,” she says sheepishly.

 

“What!” I say, shocked and smiling.  I come closer to her and take another bite of the apple.

 

She shrugs.  “It was programmed into my phone!”

 

“I'll just call Trace.” I laugh with a mouth full of apple.  I take the phone from her, swallow and then dial his number and wait. 

It rings only once before Trace answers, “Hey….”  His voice is calm, but cautious.

I respond, “Hey, Mere wants to talk to Courtney.”

 

“She ok?”  Trace asks me lowly.

 

“Yeah, considering.”  I take another bite of the apple, completely making an open ring around the core of it.  I hand Meredith the phone and watch her talk into it.  She paces a little.  I finish my apple, toss it in the trash can there and just watch her. 

 

“Hey!  Oh my god, Courtney, I’m so sorry….No, because I don’t know what I would have done if this hadn’t happened.  I know you went to talk to her to fucking probably quit or say you hated me, but you didn’t, and you came back and you told me that she was a bitch."  She stops, turns and stares at me as she leans against the wall.  She's looking at me, but she's staring off into space as she listens to Courtney talk on the phone.  "God Courtney I always knew she was a bitch. I never did like her, but like…she was my manager, right? I know….I know…"  She starts pacing again and I go over, grab her wrist and lead her, as she talks on the phone.  I sit down on the couch and pull her down with me.  She pushes at me for a minute and then situates so she's lying with her legs across my lap.  I smile and feel up on the smooth skin for a bit.  "Yeah….what am I going to do?”  She laughs and rolls her eyes, finally focusing on me.  “He’s trying to be a hero when I know all he wants to do is go punch a hole in the wall.”

 

“Hey…”  I reach out to her and thump her against her stomach.  She gives me a shocked look but doesn’t say anything and keeps with her conversation. 

 

“Uh huh….I know.  Thanks.  No, right now I don’t even know what I’d say.  Thanks though.  I’ll call her later and my parents. I think I just need to sleep and then I’ll figure it out.  I mean we only have a few more days here so it’s not like I’m going to need to cut my vacation short or anything.”

They talk for a long time, but I don’t mind.  Soon her hand is on the back of my neck, fingering the curls right there.  She talks and talks and talks.  It starts off only about Angie and then continues into Meredith rambling about our vacation.  At some point I must doze off.  I'm relaxed with her always, even when so much shit happens in a matter of a few minutes.  When our worlds get thrown upside down, I’m still ok as long as I'm with her.

I wake up a little bit later to find her curled up with her head in my lap, her breathing softly but deeply, the phone on the coffee table in front of us, turned off.

And I know then, that no matter what’s going on with her, no matter how much her life and her career got ripped to shreds a few minutes ago, she's going to be ok too, because she's with me.

She's with me.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 48 by Mere
Author's Notes:
SO sorry for the delay guys!  I hate editing and the holidays are getting to me!  Thanks for your patience!

WEG: New York offices, 11:39 a.m.

 

I haven’t messed around with playstation in a while.  I have one at my house, but it’s not plugged up.  I use to play all the time a couple years ago.  And on tour it was always something to do on long rides or boring afternoons, well, before this past tour. 

 

I kind of got excited when I saw it all hooked up and ready to play in here.  I felt like a kid for a moment, and I didn’t care.  I started playing Tiger Woods, but then remembered how much I suck at it, so I put in Madden instead. 

 

We’re at Johnny’s office, sitting in one of the lounge rooms, just us.  He’s lying on the couch, and I’m sitting here against the coffee table with a controller in my lap trying my damndest to get the Titans to score big against the Patriots.  I keep hearing him sigh and clear his throat, a nervous habit of his, and I wish he’d chill out.  She’s in the other room with Courtney and Johnny.  She’s gonna be fine and he knows that.

 

When Justin’s going to worry about something, it’s hard to get him to not worry about it or to sway his mind from those thoughts, even if it’s as simple as what we’re going to get for dinner.  He’s been that way for as long as I can remember.

 

They’ve been back from vacation for almost two days now, and I’m trying to figure out what’s going on in his mind, but he’s so guarded with it. We called them about Angie four days ago.  The day after they spent packing up and enjoying the beach, and each other I’m sure, and then flew back that evening. 

 

We met them at the airport.  They both looked tired, but alert—relaxed, yet tense. I think they were both happy to be back in society but both a little scared of what was about to happen. Courtney and I were relieved they were back.  It had been like waiting around in a doctor’s office, or something equally as anxious and boring, waiting on them to get back.  They were back in our presence a little more than 24 hours after we had called them, but still, it was such a  pain having to wait.  I wanted to get this process started, if not for Justin and Mere’s sanity, but for Courtney’s.

 

Whatever I thought before—hell, I think whatever she thought before—has changed.  She does care about Meredith, and I think if anything this proves that Courtney’s not the bad guy here.  She never was.  And Justin knows it, too.  I don’t know if he’s going to have a heart to heart with me about it.  In a way, I do want that just for the satisfaction of seeing him grovel. 

 

I know. I’m a shit head.  But at the same time I know it’ll be awkward as hell if he does start apologizing. 

 

When we picked them up at the airport with Tiny and Teddy there, I shook Justin’s hand and gave Meredith a hug.  The girl would barely let Courtney go so that I could welcome her back.  It was like everything was forgotten and forgiven.  There they were tanned, smiling, Meredith gossiping and squealing to Court like they were old friends, Justin silently readjusting his hat.  Courtney just smiled at her and let her ramble on and on.

 

Justin wasn’t nearly as talkative as Meredith.  He was in one of his reserved, quiet moods.  But he did say hi to her, asked her how she was doing. 

 

Yeah, he actually spoke to Courtney.

 

It sucks that it took something like this to open his eyes and make him realize all the shit he’s caused this summer was for nothing.  But I can’t hold it against him anymore.  We’re all moving on, all trying our hardest to just get over it.  The tour’s done.  I’m concentrating on the clothing line. Courtney’s going to talk to Meredith about her job situation.  We’re all moving forward.

 

And even though it’s been stressful and awkward, the past couple days have actually been pleasant.

 

He sighs again, and when I look over my shoulder, he’s laying on the couch, holding a pillow to his chest, just staring at the ceiling.  I almost laugh at him, but I don’t.  He’s worried for her; he’s fucking in love with her harder and more intense and more real than I’ve seen with anyone.  I don’t want to compare our situations, but I almost wonder if I was ever that in love with Elisha.  I don’t think I was. 

 

It’s a dangerous place to be, that far out of control and into someone else.  So far I think he can handle it—or more importantly, Meredith can handle him.  God, I hope so for everyone’s sake.

 

“She’s with Johnny,” I say. “Just chill out.”

 

“I know.”

 

I laugh at him and turn back to the TV, knowing he won’t be offended when I say, “You’re so fucking whipped, it’s sick.”

 

It’s quiet for about 30 seconds, just the sound of the TV which I have down low.  I concentrate on the screen and work to find my wide receiver and start to press the button to throw. 

 

Shit.  I get sacked.

 

Third down and 25? Fuck.

 

“I gave her the diamond.”

 

I blink.

 

Everything about me pauses and I slowly turn around to stare at him and see if he’s joking.  But I know he wouldn’t joke about that.  He’s still just staring at the ceiling.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me this shit!” I say to him, dropping the controller.  “What’d she say?”

 

He slowly starts to smile and then laughs, rubs his hand over his face and finally looks at me, “I think I shocked us both.  I mean we’re not engaged or anything, yet. But, ya know, we’re really happy.”

 

“I can tell.”

 

And I can, despite the worry and the tense air around all of us, they—well, it’s hard to explain, and it’s also a little hard to be on the outside of.  Like, I really am so fucking happy for him, and I know no one will ever take my place.  Me and Justin have way too much history.  We’ll always be friends.

 

I think I’ve finally realized that, especially in the past few weeks.  As gay as it was and even though I’ve had Courtney hanging around, and even though I’ve been with other friends, I still fucking missed him.

 

But I get it.  Meredith is his best friend now, a different kind of best friend, but it’s just hard knowing that there’s someone else that he cares about as much or even more so than me.  God, I sound like faggot.   I’m happy for him.  Shit, don’t get me wrong.  It’s just weird.  It’s like he’s finally all fucking grown up.  It’s not about us and being crazy and hooking up with girls, or even taking our girls out together, or planning romantic shit together for our girls.  It’s a single thing.  He does his shit for Mere, and if he feels like telling me, he will.  If not, he won’t.

 

It’s not a bad thing.  I guess we just both don’t have to hold each others hand and help each other out when we’re dating anymore.  I was always telling him shit to do for Britney, and he was always giving me pointers and ideas for Elisha.

 

I guess now everything’s more personal.

 

Or maybe we just both realize that we can do this on our own now.

 

“Shit man, you have no idea.”  He stretches for a moment and pushes himself up so he’s sitting on the couch.  “Someday you gotta take a girl to that place.  It really was fucking paradise.”

 

“You think you might be calm enough to play?”

 

“Yeah, yeah, sorry.”  I shrug and grab the other wireless controller and reach to hand it to him over the coffee table.

 

“It’s cool.”  I turn back to the game and fumble with the options so I can set it up to two player.  “I’m glad you’re doing ok.  I’m glad you haven’t called the mob on her yet.”  I gnaw on my bottom lip, not looking at him but wondering if it was a smart thing to bring up Angie McCrawley.

 

“Fucking shady ass bitch man,” he grumbles.

 

“Breathe,” I say, staring at the screen as Justin picks his options and team.  “She’s gonna be with Johnny now.  They’ll take care of her.  You’ll be fine.”

 

“I know.”

 

He doesn’t sound too sure, but I know it’s nothing to do with her or Johnny.  He’s just shook up about this happening to her.  I would be, too.  I mean, if I had a girlfriend I’d be shook up if someone was betraying her and stuff.

 

I mean, I am shook up that Courtney, in a way, was betrayed by Angie, but well, she’s not my girlfriend.

 

Yeah, Courtney and I aren’t dating. It’s complicated and weird.  Maybe we are.  But we haven’t hooked up.  We’ll like hug and hold hands and we hang out all the time, not every day, but several times a week.  But we haven’t hooked up and we’ve only kissed, like really kissed twice since she came to my house.  We flirt constantly and I don’t know why we haven’t taken it further.  I know it’s not me, but it’s not really her either.  I can tell she wants it. I just don’t know why we both don’t go for it.

 

Maybe we’re trying to make sure that we really are friends first, that we really do like each other.

 

I know I like her, despite all the fuck ups and the drama and everything that’s happened. God, I love this girl.  It’s just a weird thing.

 

It’s not bad at all. I’m not complaining.  We’re both happy, really happy.  It’s just difficult to describe and difficult to understand.

 

“I need to talk to you about something,” I say after a while of Justin kicking my ass on the game.

 

“Shit.” I hear him drop his controller and he says in a concerned tone, “Look this summer…”

 

“Justin, it’s not about that.” I shake my head and turn on the floor after pausing the game so that I can really look at him and talk to him and see his reaction to what I’m about to tell him.

 

“Oh…”  His eyebrows wrinkle, as if I just confused the hell out of him, as if he has been itching and waiting for me to bring up all the bull shit from this summer.

 

“I’ve been talking to Rachel,” I say. “I know you haven’t really had time to think about it, but you only have two weeks until you’re doing more press.”

 

“And you aren’t going to be there,” he finishes for me, not looking me in the eyes.

 

“I will until the album promo stops.  But I think you should let Rachel come and help.  I think she should take over for you.”

 

“Shit,” he says, and I don’t know if it’s a disappointed ‘shit’, or a thoughtful ‘shit’ as if he’s thinking it over.  He rubs his hand over his hair that’s grown out and his beard he’s yet to shave.  Johnny told him he looked like a cave man when he saw him this morning.  Meredith giggled for a good five minutes about it, mumbling about him doing Geico commercials. 

 

He’ll have it shaved by tomorrow morning, no doubt. 

 

“Ya know I’ve been looking to get her in somewhere, but do you think she could handle this,” He laughs.  “You think she could handle me?”

 

“We know you’ve got trust issues, so it’s either her or your mom.”  I laugh and he rolls his eyes and then widens them.

 

“Hell no.  God, she’d kill me,” he says, talking about his mom.  It’s funny, Justin and his mom are so close, but they get on each other’s nerves like brother and sister.  Back when she toured with him when we were teenagers, it was awesome ‘cause she was there to do laundry and stuff for him.  Most of the time they would be cool and the perfect best friends/mother-son thing, but sometimes their fights would be horrible.

 

And now with Justin on his own, she’d probably mother him a little too much on the road, and while he likes a little bit of mothering—probably why he likes Meredith so much—he doesn’t want it all the time.

 

“It’ll be fun for Rachel. By next year you will be back on tour and touring is a lot easier than promo.  I think she’ll love it.”

 

He nods and I can tell he’s thinking hard. “Maybe…”

 

“Come on.  It’ll be a blast.  I think, well, I think it will be good for me and you, too.”

 

“God, do we need counseling or something?”  He laughs, covering up his face with his hands like he’s tired.  I know what he means.  I think the whole thing about what’s happened here with us over this summer is that while it’s been strange and awkward, what’s made it worse is the awkwardness of realizing it’s awkward and then having to talk about it. 

 

But I’m right.  Having a break, not being around each other all the time, it’ll be good.  I need a break from being around him everyday and I think he needs a break from me, too.  Hell, when I saw him in the airport the other day I felt closer to him than I did all tour.  I was glad to see my best friend, not dreading him like I often would be in the hallways and in hotels.

 

Space may be exactly what we both need.

 

“Meredith mentioned something about going out to eat with Megan tonight, right? ‘Cause I’ve got a meeting for the line.”

 

“Oh ok,” his voice sounds dejected.  I would laugh at him, but I just know how Justin hates so much to be alone, especially when everyone else is out doing things.

 

That’s not why I’m telling him this, though.  I stare at the carpet and then shrug.  “You think you’d want to come with me?”

 

He just stares at me and I laugh a little. “You said that last day on tour that you wanted to help me.  I know I brushed you off, but…shit man, you’ve seen the sketches.  I showed you that product last night.  Maybe it would be good for the line, for me, to have you a part of it somehow.”

 

“Whoring me out for your own success?  Nice.”  He laughs, but I know in that joke he’s saying, ‘sure, I’d love to help you out.  I want to help you out.’

 

“I figured you were a big enough slut to handle it.”

 

He smirks and then nods, “I could do that.  Maybe we could hang out a little bit afterwards? I mean I know we’re hanging out now, but I don’t know.  We could go to a bar or something.  No girls.”

 

“Really now?”  I say a little shocked.  God, we haven’t been to a bar in ages.  We didn’t even go out when we were back in Memphis this summer.  Plus, him and his girl have been attached to the hip ever since they’ve gotten off the plane.  They’re always right beside each other, holding hands or something.  I’m surprised he would want to do something without her around.

 

“Shit man, I think she needs a break from me!  We just spent almost three weeks, just us.  Together.  No one else.  No moment alone.  Plus, you know how she gets with Megan.  She’ll probably call me up at midnight telling me to get a sleeping bag and bring it to Megan’s ‘cause they’re having a sleep over with a theme or some shit.”

 

I laugh and go over and cut the game off since it doesn’t seem like we’re going to be playing anymore. “She’s good for you.  She keeps you from being too full of yourself.”

 

He ignores my critical compliment and nods at me.  “How’s your lady?”

 

It shocks me for a moment, and I don’t know what he’s talking about, “Lady?”

 

“Courtney?”

 

It kind of freaks me out ‘cause well, it wasn’t forced. Before when Justin would ask me about it, it was so fucking forced and sounded like he hated talking about her.  He said that almost as casually as someone would say “what’s up?”

 

“She’s a lady now?” I can’t help but let it come out and as soon as it does I hate it and want to take it back.  Hell, he’s fucking trying here. I know that.  I quickly say before he can respond, “I know. I know. I’m sorry.  We’re…”  I shake my head. “…weird.”

 

“Already knew that.”

 

Fucker.  “No like, shit man, we’ve like made up or whatever, but we haven’t slept together, yet.  And we’ll flirt every damn second, but I don’t know, neither of us takes it any further.  We’ll hold hands and gay ass middle school shit, but like we’ve kissed twice since it’s happened and each time one of us we’ll get all weird and pull away.”

 

“Ya know I was right about her.”  He narrows his eyes, but he’s smiling.  “I knew she was leaking stuff.”

 

“Fuck off…”  I roll my eyes.  I know he’s attempting to joke and make light of it all, but I don’t know.  Maybe I’m just not ready, yet.

 

“I was an idiot!”  He exclaims.  “But a correct idiot to an extent.”

 

“You both just had issues.  Hell, we all did on tour, even before the tour.  Whatever.”

 

He laughs and shakes his head at me, “Is it sad to say that Meredith is the sanest one out of the four of us?”

 

“A little bit.”  I laugh.  He’s so right.

 

It’s as if he summoned her by mentioning her name, because in that moment she walks in through the door with Courtney following her.  Through the opened doorway I can see Johnny shaking hands with some of the people there in business suits.  I know some of them.  A couple them are on Justin’s legal team.  Meredith turns and waves back to them thanking them with a bubbly attitude.  Courtney shuts the door behind her and Meredith turns, groans and flops on the couch beside Justin.

 

“My hand hurts.” She pouts, leaning against him and shaking her hand limply.

 

“Why?”  He asks her.  I look up at Courtney and she just smiles as if me and her are in on some secret.  We’re not, but still, it’s sexy as hell when she smiles at me like that.

 

Fucking fantastic.  Really.  Like it’s just so simple with us now, even though it’s weird as hell. 

 

“I had to sign a million things that I didn’t understand.”

 

“Johnny’s thorough,” I say, turning to look at them.

 

“He’s amazing,” Meredith replies, smiling.  “The lawyers would say things in all these big words, and he would be like “that means this.” And I was like ‘ohhh ok’. Light bulb over my head!” She looks up at Courtney.  “Do you got everything?”

 

“Right here,” she says and I notice she’s got a binder in her hands.  She brings it up and holds it close to her chest.

 

“So, where should we go for lunch? I’m about to eat my hand.”

 

Justin says in a low voice that’s meant just for her, but we can all hear it, “Don’t do that!  Then you’d have to get a hook for a hand.”

 

“Arrrrghhh.”  She says back to him, nudging him.  Justin playfully does some weird face to her and they both start laughing about something.  I ignore them and push myself up off the floor.  I stand close to Courtney, and she smells so fucking good.  I almost said something to her this morning when we met up in my hotel room about how sexy she was and smelled and looked and everything.  Yeah, maybe that’s why we haven’t slept together yet; we have separate hotel rooms.

 

God, who’s idea was that?

 

I almost put my hand on Courtney’s back and ask her how it went.  Justin and Mere are busy molesting each other and it gives me a moment to flirt with Courtney a little bit.  But before my hand can touch her, Mere sits up on the couch and says animatedly, looking between me and Justin,   “Oh! Guess what?”

 

“What?”  Justin says, just smirking at her.

 

Courtney’s laughing, as if she knows what Mere is about to say, and I just listen to her laugh and smile.

 

“Well,” she says as if she’s about to tell us the biggest load of gossip.  “According to Mr. McSellers, via translation from Johnny, Angie’s ass is gonna be burning for a while!  When they got my contract from my old management company and talked to Sony about it, apparently she broke a bazillion trillion rules that I didn’t even know we’re in there or that existed!”

 

“Really now,” I say.  She nods and looks at me, then at Justin who’s just staring at her, smiling at little bit, but his eyebrows are bunched, as if he’s taking in every word she’s saying carefully.  I know I would too if my girlfriend was rambling about the legal proceedings that were surrounding her career.

 

“Yeah, like apparently all this crap she used to make me do, like interviews and photo shoots that I was iffy about…well, Sony has a clause in my thingy that if I have any doubts about the stuff I’m doing that has not being enforced by them or some shit, that I don’t have to do it.  Angie use to lie all the time!  Apparently she wasn’t supposed to do anything that either I or Sony hadn’t consented to.  So like 75% of the shit I was doing I didn’t have to.  So, her ass is gonna be grass!  Like Sony is so pissed!  Especially cause a lot of the bad press, even though it might have helped drive album sales, it also made them have to deal with crap that was time consuming and was really a bigger hassle for everyone!”

 

“Take a breath,” Courtney says.

 

“Sorry.  Did I ramble?”  Meredith giggles and smacks her face with her hand, leaning back to relax in a slouch.

 

“A little.”  Justin nods.

 

I chime in, hoping that we can either cut this conversation short or continue it somewhere else.  Meredith’s not the only one that’s hungry.

 

“We should go to Lyric,” I suggest.

 

“Ooo yes!”

 

Meredith and Justin start talking about how much they love Lyric’s food and debate on what they are going to order.  When they stand up and I can tell they are about to go find Johnny, ask him if they need anything else today and then go get Teddy and Tiny and leave.  We left them earlier with one of Johnny’s assistants, Sonya, who they both think is so hot. I’m sure Justin and I are gonna bust their balls about it later.

 

I turn to Courtney and finally get to put my hand on her back. “You ok?’ Even through her shirt I can feel how warm her skin is.  It makes me shiver.

 

“Yeah,” she sighs and her shoulders relax.  “That was just intense as hell.”

 

“Did they get your statement?”

 

“Yeah.  They are serving her with the papers right now.  So I went ahead and blocked her number from both our phones, because the last thing Meredith needs right now is a psycho bitch going after her.  Changing hotels was a good idea, too.  She can’t find us.”

 

That was Courtney’s idea.   We booked Mere and Justin a hotel room along with ourselves the other night when we called and told them.  Courtney said she just wouldn’t feel right staying in a room that Angie had paid for, so we switched hotels.

 

Now I see that maybe Courtney is scared of Angie.  And I wonder if she has a reason to be.

 

“Shit, is it that much of a worry?” I ask.

 

“No not really,” she shrugs.  Courtney spent a lot of time with the lawyers this morning while Johnny was talking with Meredith on her own.  Justin was in there for a little bit, but then Johnny kicked him out, and since I had nothing to do with Meredith’s career or Angie, I just hung out here.  Now I’m wondering what the lawyers talked to Courtney about, “but hell Trace, we’re pretty sure now that she sent those paparazzi to her house.”

 

Fucking shit…

 

A thought crosses my mind and I widen my eyes. “Philly?”

 

Before I can say anything more and ask her if Angie was slime enough to send that fucking psychopath to Meredith’s room, Courtney reassures me. “No.  No.  I was worried about that, too.  But thankfully she’s not that sick.  The lawyers that are handling the case with him said he’s pleading guilty and will probably go to jail for a while, maybe institutionalized or something.”

 

“Shit Courtney.”  I rub my hands over my hair that’s starting to grow out.  I might shave it again. 

 

She laughs a little bit, “I’m going to need a drink.”

 

Justin laughs loudly and it forces me to glance at them for a moment.  He and Meredith are crouched together looking at something on her phone.  I kind of forgot they were here.

 

I wish I could go get a drink with her, but I asked Justin to help me out, and then we’re going to a bar.  “I asked Justin to hang out this afternoon.”

 

“Stop it.”  She waves her hand and smiles. “Don’t worry about me.  I’m fine on my own.  I’m actually kind of tired.  All of this is starting to take a toll on me, and I might go rest in the hotel or go to the spa there or something.  I might actually waste some of my money on something, Trace!”

 

I watch her mouth move and when she stops speaking I can’t help myself.  I don’t care and I don’t look to see if Mere and Justin are paying attention to us.  I lean in and kiss her.  Her lips are soft and I feel her gasp almost inaudibly when my mouth touches hers.  I press more firmly against her and cup her arms in my hands and squeeze her before pulling away.  I want more.  God, I want so much more of her.  I want all of her. 

 

But still, I’m just smiling.

 

“What was that for?”

 

I shrug and smirk at her, “I don’t know.”

 

I really don’t know.  I guess I’m just ready for this.  Maybe it’s time for me to step it up.  It’s been weeks and we’ve been so good.  I think it’s time for us to move on, to stop being silly and cautious and fucking fall for each other again.  God, I never got up from her.  I never got over her, even when she freaked out at the end of tour.  My mind was with her every second.

 

She fucking makes me happy.  She shows me I can be happy with myself, and I hope I show the same to her.

 

I used to think me and Courtney were so different, too different.  We weren’t the perfect couple—Meredith and Justin were.

 

But I was wrong.  We are perfect. 

 

I’m not a super religious guy, but I guess somewhere in me understands that this is fate.  Whether it works out in the end or not, it was fate.  There’s a purpose here and damn does that make me smile.

 

And now, now she’s smiling and I hear a, “Come on you two!  I’m seriously starving!”  I grab her hand and walk towards the door, tugging her along with me.  I don’t know what’s going on and I don’t care.  For the first time, in a long, long time, I’m actually fucking happy.

 

And so is she.

 

Everything with everyone was fucked up for a while, but now it’s settling.  It’s not perfect, but it’s ok.  And that’s all I’ve ever really wanted, to be ok with a good girl and great friends.

 

And I got that.

 

Damn, I actually got that.

Chapter 49 by Mere
Author's Notes:
THANKS so much for your patience guys!!  We're almost to the end on this one....whew...*wipes forehead* Thanks for sticking it out with me!

 

Mr. and Mrs. Craven’s 2:39 pm

I’m glad I came home.  I’ve needed this.  I’ve been so run down lately, not sad or really even tired, just going non-stop.  I’ve been doing promotion for my next single, which was released last week.  Justin’s busy promoting, too.  God, he’s so damn busy.  Whenever I call him he’s going somewhere, to a shoot or an interview or something.  He’s sometimes a little short with me on the phone, but he always apologizes; and when he tells me he loves me or says, ‘thanks girl, I needed this,’ I know that he appreciates my calls and that he misses me like I miss him.  I saw him last week.  It’s not like it’s been forever.  It’s just different right now and difficult. We went from seeing each other every second on vacation and then almost every second on tour, to more separation and less time together.

But it’s not bad at all. 

It’s actually been really good between us.

Right now I’m doing an interview with Rolling Stone.  I did one during my first album, but it was a small one-page article and not a cover story.  I haven’t done the shoot yet, but I’m doing it with Patrick Demarchelier, so I’m super excited to get someone his caliber shooting me!  I’m even going to bring Megan. I know she’ll be stoked!  I’m going to start bringing her to more things with me.  Right now Johnny’s got a couple ladies who are so sweet and are helping me out, Marcie and Sonya.  They’re awesome and they’re gonna help me until I find someone else, or until I convince Megan that she can do this.

It’s weird now.  Like, I never really realized anything was wrong when I was with Angie, but now that I look back on it, so many things make sense—it all clicks. 

And it’s all wrong. 

I feel much more at ease with Johnny.  With Angie, I was afraid everything I did or said would stress her out, especially over the past two years.  In the beginning it was different, she was more at ease, more excited with me than frustrated at me.  I almost want to ask her and see if this was all part of her plan when she met me, of if she changed.  I’d like to think I wasn’t too naïve when I was starting out, that when she met me she really did want to succeed with me.  I’d like to think that maybe the business got to her, that maybe she really did think that this was the best way to sell my records.  But the truth is, I was naive.  I was eager, and she was there.  She was the first person who really seemed genuine and nice and thoroughly willing to help and go the extra mile for me.  So I didn’t question her like I should have.

Teddy and I had a long talk in New York about it.  We both were shocked but not really disappointed, and I was glad that I wasn’t the only one who had known her so long and had the blinds pulled over their eyes. 

I sigh and stretch in front of me, staring at the lady that’s sitting on my parents couch while I lay across the loveseat.  She’s cute as hell, all like girly rocker chick with her dyed hair and awesome make up.  She still looks very professional, though and she’s so nice.

Before, when I did my first interview with Rolling Stone, they sent this dude who was kind of a sleaze and spent the entire time looking at my boobs.  I’m just in stretch pants and one of Justin’s t-shirts now.  I’m at home and I don’t know what persuaded me to invite them to my actual home in Georgia, but I did. 

 

I sat down and talked to Johnny and told him that if someone wanted a story about me, then I was the one that was going to tell it.  We talked for a long while about it, about what I wanted to say and who I wanted to say it to, and he told me if I could handle it he would get Rolling Stone on the phone.

I told him I could handle it.

When I told Justin about it and told him I was a little scared because this would be the longest and probably the most read interview I had ever done, he put my mind at ease, him having done several Rolling Stone cover stories.  He had in a box somewhere in his office, and we went searching for them the other weekend.  I sat there and squealed over him shirtless and sexy and then made fun of him for half of the things he said in the articles.  He just sat behind his desk in his chair, rocking and smiling and laughing at me.

And then he got up, plucked one of the magazines from my hands and kneeled down, leaning over me.  He was just smiling at me while I asked him what he was doing, even though I knew what he was doing.

We made out on the floor of his office.  He was laying straight on me, pressing my back into the carpet. I bite my lip, thinking about how he asked me to bend over his desk.  He whispered it in my ear, that and so many other things that I really do not need to be thinking about right now.  His fingers were everywhere, skimming and brushing, but not touching enough.  It was the biggest tease.

But we didn’t get the chance to go through with it. Rachel came upstairs telling me that she had just finished making the popcorn and had put in the movie.  We were going to watch 80s Tom Cruise movies all night.  She’s staying in Justin’s guest room until Trace finishes moving out of the guest house.  Justin was grumpy for the rest of the night, horny and whiney, and he just got worse when Rachel and I started picking on him for getting way too into Cocktail.

Shortly after that, he ended up calling up a couple of his friends and hung out in his game room with them all night.  I didn’t bother me, I was having a blast with Rach.  He would glare at me when he’d come up to get more beers.  I’d just giggle at him in return, knowing he’d make me pay later that night. I went to bed before they even emerged and that was at like 2:30 in the morning.  Nothing happened and the next morning I let him sleep in because I could tell by his snoring that he had partied too hard.

At one point that night, when Trace showed up, I told him to call up Courtney and have her come hang with me and Rachel and watch movies, but he made some excuse for her, saying she had plans or something.

What ever.  She’s here now.

“So when you say you feel like you’ve been understandably naïve, what do you mean?” I blink, suck in a breath and shrug my shoulders.

“You’re getting all Oprah on me, Kendra.” I laugh and she smiles at me. “It’s just that, I know I’ve made mistakes.  I’ve been eager.  I’ve chosen people to be around me that haven’t had me in their best interest.  That probably sounds really selfish, but I think when you’re in this business and you’re a singer—the one in the spotlight—you have to be selfish to a certain extent.  If people around you only care about making money for themselves, then things can happen like that have happened to me. But at the same time I think it’s very understandable.  I mean, one minute I was singing karaoke and taking dance lessons, and the next I was in the studio, sending demo tapes to record labels.  The next thing I knew I was auditioning with Sony.  I didn’t really have time to sit down and think, is this the right decision, are the people around me deciding the right things.  I think anyone in my position would do the same thing.  I just was unlucky.”

I bite my lip, realizing I’ve rambled again to her.  She told me to stop apologizing for it about thirty minutes ago.  I just can’t help it, her questions have really made me think and discuss things.  Plus, I’m a rambler.

“Unlucky?  You have a record that’s almost double platinum, the hottest boyfriend and relationship in all of tabloid land, and you call it unlucky?

I nod and laugh. “Unlucky in certain aspects, in the business end, the end I’m so naïve at.  I’ve done really well in other fields.”

“One thing that I’ve noticed—and even though this is the first time I’ve interviewed with you, I do have collogues you’ve interviewed with before.  And so before this interview I asked them what you were like so that I could have a better idea of what I was in for—”

That’s funny, I was calling a couple people I knew in the business to see if they had had an interview with Kendra Hollis before as well.  “You wanted to know if I really was a diva, didn’t you?”

“Well yeah,” she says honestly. “And I think this is the thing that I’ve determined—which is the same as everyone else—you are a super star.  Rumor has it you’ll be going on a solo tour in a month or two and that you might go overseas.  You’re becoming a world famous starlet, you’re dating a world famous star, and yet, you don’t seem that way at all!” She says it in this astonished voice, as if I’m some special case. I look at her weird and then laugh. “Especially for someone who’s been around and toured and made music for three years now.  I wouldn’t call you a veteran, but you’re definitely not new at this either.”

“I guess I just don’t see any reason why it should change who I am,” I shrug.  “Who I am here at home and who I am out in LA or in New York, that doesn’t change, and I don’t think it should.  When I’m on stage I’m an entertainer, but I’m still me, it might just be one side of me, but it’s still part of Meredith Craven.”

I like this interview.  I feel like I’m giving good answers.  I hope I am, at least.  It really makes me think hard, ya know?  The stuff she’s asking—it’s not just like what’s my favorite food and what “inspires” me or some dumb crap like that. 

“Speaking of being home, I really do appreciate you allowing me to come here to interview you.  I know most people are really private, especially about having press come to your family home.  I think this shows a lot about you, that extra side you keep talking about.  I don’t think most people would assume that your parents would still be living in the same house you grew up in.”

I roll my eyes.  “I’ve offered, believe me, but daddy doesn’t want to move because he’ll have to find a new place for a deer stand in the woods, and probably where I’d move them to would be too fancy.  I did redo my momma’s kitchen, though.  She wanted more counter space.”

“And I’m totally putting it in Rolling Stone that your mother makes the best damned cookies.”   She points to the platter in front of us.  I told my mom she didn’t need to bake cookies, but she wouldn’t hear of it.  She’s always baking cookies for strangers.  I smirk.

Show off.

“I might even ask her for the recipe and put it in the article.  I’m slowly transferring us to a home and garden magazine, just you wait.”

“Country cookin’ you can’t beat it.”  I smile.

She tilts her head to the side and I like the way her hair looks especially against her neck.  I’d never dye my hair black with dark red streaks, but still I like the shape of it.  I need a haircut.  I’m usually always a long haired girl, but maybe I’ll go for something short.  Maybe I should wait until spring to do that.  Whatever, I shouldn’t be thinking about hair right now.

 “You think that’s something that makes you and Justin so compatible, your southern upbringings?”

She hasn’t asked me too much about Justin and honestly that’s surprised me.  She’s mentioned it here and there, but it’s not like the whole interview has been about him.  I like that.  And when she does bring him up, it’s always really positive, like now.  “I’m sure it doesn’t hurt.  I mean when I go home with him and he comes home with me, it’s natural, but that’s mainly because both of us have awesome families.  But yeah, I mean, I hadn’t really thought about it.  Though I think I’m more country than he is!  Don’t ever tell him that! He’s just been mister super star for far too long.  He doesn’t want people to know how much of a redneck he really is.”

 

“I actually grew up in West Virginia,” she says, widening her eyes and cringing.

“Really?”  I really am shocked. I’d never of guessed it.  Her accent is neutral, and he attitude screams “the city”.

She nods and puts her pen down on her paper. “Moved to New York when I was 18 and never went back, so I’ve lost a lot of it.  But sometimes when I come to places like this to do interviews, which isn’t often, part of me wants to go back.”

 

“Do I need to get the tissues?”  I joke.

She puts her hands up and reaches across us to the table in between and grabs the small recorder there.  “This is about you, not me!  Plus, I think I have enough material now to have a whole book about you.”

“Cravin’ It: the Meredith Craven unofficial biography,” I say dramatically, realizing the interview is almost over.  I wonder what time it is. I’m getting kind of hungry, maybe I can convince Courtney to go out with me in a little bit.

“Nice.”  She laughs, then sighs and shakes her head, looking back over her notebook. “Well, ok.  That’s it I think. We’ve covered all my questions, unless there’s anything else you wanna put on the record.”  She waves the recorder that’s in her left hand.

I shrug and it turns into a yawn and a stretch.“I think I’m good.  Oh man,” I say, snapping back into my lounged position and glancing at the clock on the Cable box.  “We talked for two hours!”

 

“You’re very easy to interview,” she replies, clicking the recorder off and sliding it into her bag by her feet.  I had to shoo DeeDee into my bedroom earier, because she kept trying to sniff Kendra’s bag to pieces.  “I felt like I was catching up with one of my old girlfriends more than anything.” 

 

I watch her get her bag up on the space beside her and put her pad and paper in it before opening her cell phone and mumbling a curse word when she realizes she gets no service out here.  I smile to myself.  I really do live in the boonies.

 

I look towards the kitchen and realize Courtney has her headphones in, so I sing in a loud voice, “Courtt…”

She jumps for a moment and pulls one of the pieces out of her ear and half closes her laptop, “You done?”

“Yup.”  I nod, stretch and sit up on the couch.  Kendra talks to me a few more minutes about possible release dates and tells me she'll be in touch with Johnny about more information, and that if I want a copy of the article before she prints it she can email it to me or something.  I've never had that offered before!

I’m going to have to remember her and give her more interviews in the future, if she wants them.  She leaves within fifteen minutes of our interview ending and tells me to say thanks to my mom for the cookies again.

When she leaves, I look at Court and pout, “Court…it’s sad.”

“What is?”  She says, looking down at her phone and pressing buttons from where she’s leaning against the back of the couch.  Courtney must get service.  Of course, I’m pretty sure we have the same phone company.  I don’t get service in my bedroom, though.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.

Last night Justin called and I could tell he was in one of his cocky moods because he kept trying to tease me, but I had to walk in the kitchen and just sit at the kitchen table and listen to him talk dirty and act ridiculous while I scolded him.  He knew I loved it.  It sucked that I couldn’t have just snuck into the den and laid down on the couch with a blanket and enjoyed what he was saying to me.  But Mom and Courtney were in there watching some movie.  So I was stuck.

I put my arm around her and look at her with big eyes, “That’s the last thing you’ll ever do for me.”

“You’re a nut,” she laughs.

“Oh come on," I laugh with her. "Give me some kind of sentimentality.”

“Boo hoo," she rolls her eyes at me.

“Now you’re a nut.” I nudge her and walk back into my parents’ living room and plop on the couch where Kendra had been.  DeeDee jumps up on the couch with me, coming from hiding in my room. I grab one of the two cookies left and also reach for the remote. I have to tap her nose to keep her from sniffing my cookie.  I wonder when mom and dad will be back.  They went into town for something when Kendra got here.  Maybe they just wanted to give me my space.  I know they're proud of me, but I think the whole celebrity stuff freaks them out a little bit.

Court’s just standing there on the other side of the couch looking off into space.  I bite into the cookie and wait for her to talk, cause I know she’s about to say something.  Sure enough, a moment later she says softly, “I guess I should get my stuff...”

“Hell no,” I say and then laugh.  I almost choke on my cookie and when I drop some on my shirt, DeeDee takes care of it for me even though I shouldn’t let her have it.

 

“What ?”

I clear my throat and press power on the remote. “Spend the night.”

“Are you serious?”

“Court," I whine.  "Come on, it’ll be fun, please.”  I know I sometimes annoy Courtney, but I also know that she does like me, and that whenever we do hang out we have a good time.  I know sometimes its just trying to get her over the whole initial idea of spending the night with my annoying self, but seriously.  I want to do something with her, have one last bash while she's my assistant.  I'm sure we'll hang out again.  It's not like I’ll never see her again.  In fact, now I hope maybe it'll be more relaxed between us since she won’t be so concerned about our professional relationship being too personal or something.  Now we can be friends without any weirdo drama.

I want to hang out with her, just me and her.

Cause I like Courtney.  I really do.  She's fun when she let’s go of this idea she thinks she has to be.

“I just don’t wanna bug you when you’re with your family.  Plus my flight leaves tomorrow morning at 8 am and I have a hotel booked in Atlanta.”

“I promise you won’t miss your flight.  And bug me and my parents? Please." I roll my eyes.  My parents love having company.  They don't care!  "We’ll have fun. We’ll watch some movies with DeeDee and eat really awesomely fatty food and you can dish to me about Trace, cause I know you want to…."  I narrow my eyes at her.  "I can see it in your eyes.” She shakes her head with closed eyes and I brighten my smile.   “I’ll get us some wine…”  She sighs and I can tell I’m wearing her down.  “Come on, I demand that your last assistantship thingy for me is getting drunk and watching Pretty Woman with me.”

She sighs loudly, and then after a moment I think she’s going to tell me that she hates me and leave or something ridiculous like that, but she doesn’t.  Instead she sucks in a huge breath, raises her head and looks at me. “Can I tell you a secret?”

“Sure…”  I eye her carefully.

“I kind of have an old man crush on Richard Gere.”

I burst into a smile.  Yes!  The good Courtney!  The one that will let her hair down and not worry so much about what other people think of her!  “Me too!”

“Ok ok,” she laughs.  “We’ll go out and get whatever you want from the store and I will indulge in girliness with you once, only once.”

“You love it,” I shout at the ceiling, making DeeDee look up at me with big eyes from where she was resting her head on my feet. “You want it so bad.”

 

“Now you’re creeping me out.”  I just shrug at her.  “I’m going to go get some things together.   Justin and Johnny called so you need to call both of them back.”

“What did Johnny want?” I call out to her, now that she’s disappeared into the kitchen.

“Nothing bad, he just wanted to make sure the interview went well for you.”

 

I lower my voice, “And what did Justin want?” I laugh.

She comes back into view and rolls her eyes saying, “The whole conversation was like this, ‘oh hey Justin.’”  She lowers her voice to sound like a retard.  “‘Hey Courtney, tell Mere to give me a call back.  We just checked into the Ritz…What? No, Trace yes, You can talk to her.’  So then we had to have a little chat with Mr. Ayala.”

“Did you now?”  I say, seeing her blush. I like it, though. I like seeing her so animated about Trace and being silly about Justin.  They’ve been better, the two of them, not fighting like cats and dogs.  They’re cordial to each other and will occasionally joke around.  It makes everything much more relaxed.  I know it was a blow to Justin’s ego when it became pretty obvious how innocent Courtney was in all of this and how all his allegations about her were pretty much ridiculous.  But, he deserved it, and he needed it.

“Oh, shut up.”   She turns around so that I can’t see the smile on her face. She retreats back into the kitchen and I just snicker at myself and rub my hand over DeeDee’s head.

“I need details as to what’s going on with you two,” I call out to her.

“Nothing.”

I know she’s lying, so I turn off the TV, brush the crumbs off my shirt from my cookie and walk further into the kitchen.

“Are you guys dating now?”  I ask in such a snotty little voice, pushing my hip against the entrance to the kitchen. 

She shrugs and only says, “Kind of.”

“Well, do you go out to eat?”

“Yes.” She's trying not to pay attention to me, and she's trying to push stuff back into her satchel and rearrange it. But I’m not going to just ignore this.  Clearly she needs to talk about this with someone!

“Do you kiss and hold hands?” 

I walk further into the kitchen and smirk at her as it's clear, even though she's not looking at me, that she's blushing like hell and she says quietly, with a little laugh. “Yeah…”

I get closer to her and whisper, “Do you have kinky, butt slapping sex?”

“Meredith!” she yells and me and then bursts out laughing.

“What?"  I shrug and tease her and rock back against my heels, " Does he tell you he looveees you?”

“Will you shut up!?”  Her face is so red, but she's laughing and I’m glad that she's joking around with me even just a little bit.

I laugh and nudge her again before putting my arm around her like we’re the oldest friends.  I know she’s annoyed beyond belief, but now I know that she secretly likes the attention from me.   That’s such a bratty thing to say, but I know that she’s starting to come around with liking me, and I know for a fact she needs a friend, wants a friend.  And I try to be good for that.  I’ve learned now that she does really like me; she just had issues, we all did—still do.  I just know now that her distance didn’t have anything to do with me.  I know that this summer was hard on her, and she’s till trying to figure some stuff out.  I just want to try my best to show her a good time, cause Courtney needs a little fun in her life.  And with me and Trace by her side, it will be fun.  She’s just got to go with us on the ride.

 “You’re so dating! Why won’t you tell me?”

“Because I’m not even sure what we are right now.  Yes, we go out and yes we...ya know.”

“It’s called sex.” I whisper and she rolls her eyes.   “I know,” I rock back on my heels and look over when I hear DeeDee walk in and sniffle before going to the water bowl and slobbering the hell of out it.  “I know I’m adorable.”

“Call your boyfriend and we’ll go to the store,” she says, immediately handing over my phone.

“Fine.”  I huff, pretending to be mad.  I dial his number and walk back into the den, looking for my flip-flops while Justin’s phone rings.

After several rings I expect his voicemail to pick up, figuring he’s doing something important, but then I hear the ringing stop and I smile when I hear him clear his throat.  “Hey there,” he says calmly.  “How’d it go?”

“Great,” I say to him half in response to me finding my flip-flops barely sticking out from under one of the end tables.  “So apparently Courtney and Trace have kinky butt slapping sex.”

“Stop!”  I hear from the kitchen.

“And now she’s blushing,” I laugh.

“Hmm, butt slapping sex, eh?”  He completely ignores the fact that I’m talking to Courtney and his low, teasing voice makes me bite my lip. It reminds me of last night and all the things he was saying while I was sitting at the kitchen table in my pjs, crossing my legs tightly.  He’s too much sometimes.

“Perv.” It’s the only comeback I can think of.

Even though the conversation doesn’t last long, even though background noise comes over the line and in a flash he says, “Shit babe, I gotta go,” and the phone clicks, it’s totally ok.  I know how it is, and I know he’s stressed and being pulled in so many directions right now. I just wish that this time I was in New York able to call him up and ask him if he could take a break in my hotel room…like he did for me last spring.

I can’t believe it’s been that long and that so much has happened.  It’s all gone by so fast but at the same time, it hasn’t.  I mean, a lot of shit happened this summer to everyone…to me.   I still get a little jumpy when someone touches me on the shoulder. I’m still not fully confident in Johnny and WEG, which is really nothing to do with them and everything to do with my newfound trust issues.  The other day when my contract had been finalized and everything, I took a copy home and spent two full days reading every word…again, something I had already done.  I didn’t want to take any chances.  I had my contract with Sony faxed over, too so I could re-look at that.  I want to be smart.  I am smart.  I just want to be as on top of this as I can.  Justin says he’s proud of me, that I’m insane, but that he’s proud.  More importantly, I’m proud of myself and that’s what matters the most. 

I look into the kitchen and now Courtney’s on the phone, talking to someone in a low voice.  I think she’s leaving a voicemail.  I’m glad Courtney’s here, too. And I’m really glad she’s not gonna be my assistant any more. 

We talked about it, and we both decided this wasn’t good for either of us. Now, now maybe we can actually try to be friends instead of co-workers.

Everything’s ok, ya know?  It’s not perfect, it never was and never will be.  Justin’s nicer to Courtney now.  He’s still a prick sometimes, but he doesn’t pick her out to be the lone target.  He still has issues, lots of them.

And I love him more than ever.  He’s now helping Trace out with this clothing line.  They made up a name and it’s so cute, based on their grandpas.  I’ve already requested some jeans to rock.  I get excited and tell them I’ll be their spokeswoman, they both just roll their eyes at me and then I smack them both in the head.

It’s…better.  It’s like how it was back in the studio.  There’s an easiness around the two of them now that wasn’t there this whole summer.  That I hadn’t seen since I had been in New York with them. They’re best friends again, and I’m really happy about that.

Retrospect is a strange thing.  I’ve teased Justin about it a lot.  He’s going through this phase where he rambles about his childhood and about Trace and even about old girlfriends.  I don’t mind.  I listen to him and he always apologizes afterwards, even though there’s no need for him to.  But he’s been, I don’t know, calmer.  He’s promoting, he’s in the most stressful time of his whole damn career, but he’s calm.  He’s been grumpy, stressed, even short sometimes, but in the end he seems at ease with it all.  It’s a strange thing how it’s taken over him, and I know in a month he’ll stop thinking so much about his past and start looking forward, but it’s a good thing if it’s calmed him down.

Calm Justin is easy Justin, and easy Justin is the one I fell for.  I love all his many sides now, even the bad ones, but the easy Justin, the one that’s comfortable and strong, that’s the one I fell in love with in the beginning.  And that’s the one that has been doing a damn good job of making me smile every day.

It’s a silly thing to take a complex man and try to break up all his parts and personalities because he’s not that simple.  Neither am I.  No one is.  I’ve always known it, but the past few months have really shown it to me.  Everyone is complicated and contradictory and hypocritical to some extent.  Everyone has different sides they show to different people, some more extreme than others.

I’m just glad that I’ve got friends and people who love me and care about me—who show me all their sides.

Courtney’s telling me to stop daydreaming and get my shoes on so we can go to the store.  She makes some joke, some joke I only half hear and the part I do hear I don’t get.  But she’s laughing, not a mean laugh, but a light, fun laugh. 

And I’m really glad that there are people in the world, even though they have trouble showing me more than one side of them, who have started to open up and show me more.  I’m really, really glad Courtney is no longer my PA.  Really.  Now she can be my friend, something I’ve wanted for whatever reason, and something she can now feel comfortable about.

“Seriously? What are you doing?” she says coming into the den and giving me a weird look.  I guess it’s kind of weird, I’m just staring out of the window on the front door.  She rolls her eyes and scoffs at me.   “Don’t tell me that interview made you question the meaning of life and now we’re going to have to have a heart to heart the rest of the night and I don’t get to watch my Richard Gere.”

I laugh and walk back into the den and then to the kitchen and grab my purse off the counter, saying to her as I walk, “Don’t worry, you’ll get your Richie G.”

I look her way and she smiles at me. “Just don’t tell Trace.”

And some how, just like that, we are friends, not best friends, not even really close friends, but friendship is there.  All the stuff I took personally about Courtney not liking me and not wanting to be close with me fades, cause I get it now, and maybe I always got it—that it had nothing to do with me.  She had issues with opening up to people. And I have issues giving people their space. But it’s ok.

We’re getting over it now.

And yeah, as much as she might deny it or roll her eyes at it, we are friends.  And I’m grateful that I can say that.  I have a lot of friends, I do, but she knows me and she has seen sides of me few get to experience and even though I might have found her cold at times, she did help me out with things this summer, and for the most part she was there for me.  Maybe we’ve always been friends, but at least now it’s not weird.  It’s not strained.  I don’t feeling like some annoying little brat in her eyes, and I don’t see her as closed off and bitchy.

We’re friends, maybe we have for a while now, maybe it’s something that happened five minutes ago.  But whatever it is, it’s a damn cool thing.

 

 

Chapter 50 by Mere

Justin’s guest house, 3:58 pm

It’s such a damn repetitive thing, and so annoying because I can’t just write the exact same words.  I have to manipulate the words so that they fit the need.  I told myself I could just take the money I had and take some time off—take a vacation, clear my head and then work on this.

It’s only been five days and I already have 15 applications in front of me and spent hours the past two days perfecting my resume.  I’m so ridiculous.  Vacation my ass.  It’s wishful thinking that I could just let something like joblessness not matter to me. 

I won’t give in though, and I won’t take a hand out.

It would be a hell of a lot easier.  I sigh.  I can’t give in.

Trace says I should try for entertainment companies, but I’m looking towards law firms.  I’ve given it a lot of thought, and I think it’s true what Meredith said to me:  I need to be in an office.  I thought being with her on tour would give me time to travel and be on the go.  But I can be on the go in an office, running here and there and being on top of everything that’s going on.  I think I could be a great assistant to people whose lives are much more structured than that of a pop star.

And I can travel on vacation.  I don’t need a tour to do that, because that’s not vacation, that’s not enjoying the places I’ve been.  I went to several states and places I had never been before this summer.  And I can’t tell you a damn thing about them.

Maybe Trace and I should go on vacation.  Nice Courtney, find a job first, then think about going and sipping mojitos on a beach with him.  Of course, once I get a job there’s no way I’ll be able to take off right at the start. 

Maybe just for a weekend.  Hell, what am I thinking?  He’s got to concentrate on the clothing line.  And…well, hell…would we go on a vacation?  All romantic and stuff?  Having sex every night, every morning, going out, being away from the world?  Doing nothing but relaxing in each other?

Would we do that?  We’re not even together.  I mean we are, but…

I let out a frustrated sigh because on top of all this job bull shit, I don’t even know what we are!  I have no clue if we’re just hanging out or if we’re actually dating. I mean, it’s obvious we’re dating, but we never talk about it.

“What’s up?” I feel a hand skim across my shoulders and I relax just for a moment, before dropping my pen and running my hands through my hair.

 “I hate this.”

“What?” He looks at me, and then sets an opened cardboard box on his counter, the box covered with the words “Captain Morgan.”  God, I do need a vacation.

I sigh again as he opens a cabinet and starts pulling out some of his pint glasses. I know I sound ridiculous sighing every half minute, but it’s a stress reliever and it feels good.

“So they have on these application two boxes: one that says ‘description of previous position’ and another one that says ‘skill set description.’ It’s like the same fucking thing, and I just put all this shit in my resume! It seems to me they just want to see how well I know how to bull shit the same answers five times.

He shakes his head, and I know what he’s going to say before he even opens his mouth, “If you just let me help you, you wouldn’t have to do all that.”

“Just shut up and pack your glasses.”  I wave my hand at him and pick my pen back up.   The worst part is, I’ll have to go back through later tonight ad type it all.  I’m weird; with stuff like this I have to hand write it first, scribble it out, edit it with a different colored ink, then type it to perfection.

Maybe I should just go work at Burger King or something.  Their applications are probably not nearly this ridiculous.

“I need to throw out some of this shit,” he says a few minutes later, looking at a glass with a dish-washed, faded picture of a girl in a bikini on it.

“You should.”  I roll my eyes and laugh.  “There’s a Salvation Army near my apartment.”

“Hey!” he says and turns to me with a sarcastic little smile on his face.  “Maybe you could get a job there.”

“Har Har,” I deadpan before looking back down to my papers. 

A moment later he’s sitting in the chair beside me, covering my hand with one of his and leaning his head down to catch my gaze.  “I just don’t see why you won’t let me or Meredith help you.  Hell, Meredith almost convinced Johnny to give you a job at the LA office, but then when you were so adamant on just doing it yourself she didn’t want to push it.  Do you know what working for WEG is like?  It’s like putting a gold seal of approval on your resume.  It’s like, fuck you Whitham.”

“Yeah, but I want to say ‘fuck you Whitham’ on my own.”

He leans back, that same little fucker smile on his face.  “Ya know, I kind of have this fantasy of going to a party for the industry and him being there.  And you’re like on my arm all hot in a slinky black dress, and we can just make out right in front of him.  And it’s like, yeah punk, I get this hot shit now.”

I just stare at him for a moment before saying quickly, “You’re such a fucking weirdo.” He ignores my sarcastic comment and leans over and kisses my temple.  “What was that for?” I try not to let it, but it makes me smile at him.

“Can I at least suggest some names of places to try?”  He’s close, sitting on the edge of his seat and his hand is now lightly brushing against my face.

“No, and why are you changing the subject.”  I nod to his hand against my face.

“Cause I want to.” He’s staring at me so intently and his eyes are so big and brown that they draw me in.  I can’t help it.  He does this to me.  He draws me in, no matter how much of a jackass he is, or how much I want to be this strong, independent woman, he fucking draws me in.  Before I know it I’m kissing him, sighing still, leaning up against him, touching his neck.  He’s warm and his lips feel so damn good against mine.  And he tastes just like he always tastes, warm and comforting.

He pulls back with a laugh when I start to deepen the kiss.  “What’s this for?”

“Because I want to, too.”  I smile.

He bites his lip and leans in to whisper, “You want to make out?”

“Oh my god.”  I push at him and roll my eyes as his eyebrows rise. I laugh at him and I can feel him staring at me as I look back down at my applications.

“Are we dating, Courtney?” he asks out of the blue.  I’m a little shocked by it.  I mean, for a second I almost rolled my eyes and said “stop being ridiculous.”  But he asked it so seriously and well, it’s…it’s a serious question, one I want to know the answer to myself.

“I don’t know,” I say just staring at him.

He shrugs and the look on his face makes me want to dive into him, again.  Yeah, I feel needy and I want him, and I feel pathetic and girly. And I love it.  Because I really do want him as mine and only mine, even though I know he hasn’t gone around and been with other girls, even when we were not speaking.  I know that his mind and heart has been with me ever since this summer.  It’s just this weird thing.  It’s just a word, just a statement… “Dating.”  It really means nothing.

But it means everything.  ‘Cause it means we’re over it.  It means we really have started over.  It means that this summer wasn’t a lost cause and wasn’t a waste of time.

It means I can dive into him, no questions asked. 

“You’re helping me move, I’m helping you with your applications.  I mean, it’s kind of a couple-ish thing.”

“You’re tired of it being kind of weird with us, huh?”  It hasn’t really been weird.  But there’s been times when we’ve been close, about to kiss, or…or when we’ve been in bed together and I’ll want to tell him that…that I love him, and I can see that there are times when he just looks at me, and that he wants to say the same thing.  But there’s this barrier there.

Because of a damn word.  Because we haven’t talked about what we are or what we are doing.  So we can’t say it, even though we know it.

“You are, too.  I just don’t know.  It’s been more than a month and I’m happy, ya know? I don’t want to fuck up how we are now, but damn girl…”  He smirks and his eye lids lower.  “I miss you, ya know, in that way.”

“Are you just horny, Trace?”  I narrow my eyes at him but I’m smiling at him, flirting with him.

“Yes…” He laughs and then stops.  “And no.  I’m fucking horny as hell, but I blame that on you and your V-neck shirt today.”  I glare and pull up on my shirt.  “But it’s not about just that Courtney.  You know me better than that. Plus, I’m already getting laid by you.”  He laughs a little and I swat at him. His laughter stops and his smile fades, and the look he gives me is so serious and so deep that I just stare back at him, waiting for whatever he’s going to say to me.   “You know what I mean.  You know what it is I want.”

I don’t know what it is, but something about him right now looks so good.  I’m no longer worried about whether I have a job or not because I’m in love with him and he loves me. And it’s perfect. 

I stand up from my chair and smile down at him. “Scoot back.”

He does so, remaining seated and he looks at me with wide, expecting eyes.  I straddle his lap and sit down.

“Shit girl,” he says, automatically putting his hands on my hips and passing me a lazy smile.

“Don’t get too excited,” I scold.  “I just want to kiss you.” I lean into him.

I press my lips against his and pull back smiling before he can deepen the kiss. “On my lap?”  He smirks, his hands moving to grab at my ass.

“Shut up,” I say, and he kisses me hard. I run my hands over his head.  He shaved it again.  They both did.  The fuckers.  Yesterday I came over and Trace wasn’t here so I went over to Justin’s. He answered with a towel around his shoulders and said, “Sorry, We’re playing beauty parlor.”  I was actually surprised with how cordial Justin’s been to me.

I guess he feels like he owes it to me.  That first week his kindness to me was still a little forced, but now—I mean, we’re not buddies or anything like that, but he will joke with me a least, and he doesn’t care that I know the security code at his gate.  I bet Trace and him had some long chat about it.  Even some of Justin’s friends don’t know the code.  I hate to say it, but it does make me feel a little, teenie bit special.

Justin rolled his eyes when I commented on his hair cut, now back shaved with a little longer on top.  Meredith will squeal when she sees it. He just said, “Oh, this is nothing compared to Trace’s…”

He was in the bathroom with another buddy of theirs who had some clippers in his hand.  A towel was around Trace’s shoulders too, and he looked at me through the mirror and said, “don’t laugh!”

I laughed. And he winked at me.

And when he was done, he took me back to his house and we fucked.  Twice.

Shit, and right now Trace tastes so good, sweet and minty.  He was sucking on a peppermint earlier—his way to stop smoking.  I’ve just…stopped.   Don’t know how or why. I just haven’t bought any more since I finished my last one a week or so ago.  Trace has tried to too, but he’s had more trouble.  I think because for him it’s not really sensation of smoking but the fact that he has an oral fixation.  He’s now constantly sucking or chewing on something.

I pull back from him and press my forehead against his and breathe deep as he holds me.  It feels good to be close to him, pressing against him, smelling him.  I could tell when I came over after lunch that he had taken a shower right before I got here, and I held him for the longest time when I walked in.  I felt silly, but he just smelled so good.  I open my eyes and pull back slightly and say, “It’s not weird anymore to me.  I mean, last weekend Mere got me to admit that we were dating.  I think it’s good between us now.”

“Me too…” He smiles.   I smile back.

And I can’t help myself.  I don’t know who initiates it or goes for it, but my arms are around his neck and his hands are on my hips again and we’re kissing like there’s no tomorrow. It’s fucking amazing, and I know, I know he’s going to pat my butt here in a minute, push me off of him and pull me into the bedroom.  I don’t care, I want it.  It’s not just about getting off and having sex with him.  It’s about being close to him.  I love being close to him.

“So…” 

We both break apart with a huge intake of air.

Rachel is in the doorway with more cardboard liquor boxes.  She blows her hair out of her face, nudges the door shut with her back, and says with a drawl, “He’s trying to convince me that he needs his entertainment system with him when he goes over seas in two weeks.  I’m pretty damn sure that’s not the truth, that they’ll frickin’ buy him a new one for his hotel. Like he’ll even have time to watch TV.”  She sets the boxes on the floor and plops on the couch, leaning her head back and closing her eyes.

“Um, Hey Rachel,” Trace says, patting my butt.  I pout inwardly knowing that it’s not to go off to the bedroom, but a pat to tell me to get off him so we’re not just sitting on each other while his best friend’s cousin is laying on his couch.  I get off of him and sit down in the chair next to him.  I put my hand on my cheek.  It feels hot.  Great, I’m blushing.  I don’t know why.  Rachel doesn’t seem to give two shits.

“Hey.  Sorry to interrupt or whatever, but he’s making my life hell.” She rolls her head to us and sighs.  “I’m about to call up Aunt Lynn and tattle.”

“He’s just picking on you because you’re his cousin,” Trace says, standing up and walking to the fridge to grab a drink.  He grabs a beer and I know why.  I smile at him as he opens the cap.  He needs to take the edge off.  I was getting to him.

I was turning him on. 

“Don’t worry about all that right now.  I’ll help you out with his stuff.”

“I know, but I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered so I can prove to him I can do this.”

“You’ll be fine,” he says, going over to sit in one of the chairs in the den with her.  I slowly breathe, forcing myself to calm down. I pull my papers back in front of me and pick up my pen, listening to their conversation as I try to organize my applications into stacks. “Once Mere gets back into town and they get to spend more time with each other, he’ll stop whining.”

I smile to myself, thinking how true that statement is.  “You’re just saying that to make me feel better.”

“Pretty much,” Trace laughs. 

The door swings open, and we all turn to see Justin’s long frame leaning in the doorway, his hand still on the doorknob. “Rach, have you called yet?”

The dogs charge into the house in front of him.  Brennan goes to Trace and gets an affectionate “pretty girl” and a fierce rub on her head.  I look back at my papers and then feel a wet nose trying to sniff the outside of my jeans.  I look down and Buckley stops, sits on his back legs and smiles at me with his tongue sticking out.

I laugh at him.

“You need to stop worrying about your damn system and pack for tomorrow,” Rachel says. “I refuse to go buy you panties because you forgot to pack them.”

“What’s tomorrow?”  I ask.  I can’t remember what Mere said their schedules were this week.  I know that she had stuff to do and Justin had stuff to do and that she’d see him on his release date and be in LA with him for several days after that.  But right now I don’t know what either of them are doing.

I guess now that I don’t have to know their schedules, I don’t remember them.  It’s kind of a relief.

“New York promo week,” Justin says.  I nod, still not looking up from my papers, wishing Buck would stop staring at me.

“Oh…” Justin laughs.  “Mere said she’s rocking Rast jeans to the party whether we like it or not.”

“Hey Courtney, maybe you two can be twins.”  I look up and smirk at Trace ‘cause he’s smiling back at me in such a flirty manner.  I asked him the other day if I needed to get an outfit for the release party, and Trace told me he’d get me some hot jeans and I could wear them with heels and a cute top.  I looked at him and asked him how much I needed to pay him to be my stylist. 

He got mad.

“He got you in a pair of jeans!”  Justin fakes surprise, and I toss my pen at him.

“Oh, shut up.”  He just laughs and picks up my pen.

“What’re yall up to?”  Justin asks, walking over to me and placing my pen on the table.  He then saunters to the fridge to grab himself a beer. 

“I’m packing and Court is doing resume application stuff.”

Justin shakes his head at me and grabs the bottle opener from the counter.  “Why don’t you just let Mere or Trace get you a job?”

“Don’t man, don’t,” Trace says.

“You can have my job!”  I laugh and turn to see Rachel wink at me.

“Oh come on, Rachel!” Justin says before going and leaning against one of the arms of the couch while sucking on his beer bottle. “Stop whining.”

“Whining?! Me?! Don’t you have someone in Atlanta to call?”  She narrows her eyes.

“She’s not in Atlanta today,” Justin spits back at her in an aggravated tone.  “She’s in Miami recording some song.”

“Then call Miami.”  She rolls her eyes, and he stands up and walks to the door. 

“Fine, you’re being a butt.”  He snaps his fingers twice and the dogs march to him as he opens the door and they trot out.  He waves his beer bottle in thanks to Trace and goodbye to the rest of us and then the door closes.

Rachel turns and sticks up her middle finger to the door.  Man, he must have really been frustrating her today.

“That’s just Justin, Rach,” Trace says.  “You know that.”

“I know, but…he’s just stupid.”  She laughs after she says it.

“Well duh,” he replies in a goofy voice, and I look over and smile at him even though he’s not paying attention to me.

“I’m definitely going to have to paint the walls in here.  And get some new furniture, too.”  I turn to look away, but in that moment Trace’s eyes move to mine and he stares.  My smile fades as his starts to grow. 

“Hey Rach,” he says, still looking at me.

“Yeah?”

His smile is wide now and he moves his eyes to Rachel. “Will you go pick out paint colors somewhere else so I can finish making out with my girlfriend?”

She groans and says, “Speaking of being a butt!” But then she laughs and waves her hand at him before turning and waving at me.  “Bye yall.”

The door shuts and she’s gone.

I eye him, assuming he’s going to saunter over to me or nod me over with a sly smile.  But he doesn’t.  And I start laughing, thinking about how crazy Rachel must be.  And how hard Justin must be on her to annoy his own cousin this bad, to try to push her to see if she can handle this and to just be an ass.  I feel sorry for her a bit, but I have a feeling she’ll do fine with him.  I don’t know her that well, but I know she can put Justin in his place.

“What’s so funny?”  Trace asks, standing up and walking over.  I look up at him and he sits himself back in the chair beside me, and spreads his legs slightly.  He smirks at me.

“I’m glad that now I can concentrate on…”  He bites his lip.  “On other things.”

“Well yeah,” I shrug and look back down at my paper only so I can distract myself from the look he’s giving me.  I’m playing hard to get, but I know in a minute or two I’ll be back, sitting on his lap, kissing him again.  “You can work on packing.”

“I mean you…” He reaches over and pulls on my hand, “…you, Court.”

“I’m trying to get a job,” I say weakly as he pulls me up, barely tugging on my hand.

He leans in and says close against my lips, “And I’m trying to pack.”

“Trace…”  I whine.  I admit it.  I fucking whine.  I do it and I hate that I’m reminded of how many times I’d roll my eyes at Justin and Mere doing this sort of thing, of other couples doing these things.  I do it, too.  And it’s not something that just started happening.  I am that girl.  I’m the girl, the woman, whatever, who loves her man and plays around with him and acts silly and ridiculous.  I might keep it to myself.  I might just keep it for him and me. It might be a secret, this silly, giddy, excited side of me.  But it’s there.

For the longest time I prided myself on being different, on being mature and sure of myself.  I’m just glad that I finally woke up and realized that I can be mature and sure of myself and still be fucking ridiculous with my boyfriend every now and then, or hell, even with my friends.

I’m getting to know more people now that I’m purposefully trying to be more open and accepting of other people, especially Trace’s friends.  But I’ve realized this past week, after I spent those couple days with Meredith at her folks just hanging out, that she really is my friend.  And that she genuinely wants to be my friend.  Despite how different I sometimes think we are, I do like her. After spending the night watching movies and hanging out with her and drinking entirely too much wine, I somehow ended up braiding her hair and watching all three Indiana Jones movies with her.  I told her in a drunken state that I also had an old man crush on Harrison Ford, and she went into a fit over it.

It was fun.  I felt like I was in high school again, or how I wished high school could have been. But I didn’t feel silly or stupid or ridiculous the next morning.  I canceled my flight and I hung out with her for two more days.  It was actually kind of great.  I did things I hadn’t done in a long, long time.  Her dad took us out with DeeDee into the woods for a hike.  I can’t even remember if I had ever done that.  I told Trace about it that night on the phone and he was proud of me for getting “countrified.”

I went with her to visit one of her cousins and his wife and two kids, and it was just nice.  It was good being around family like that, even though it wasn’t mine.

When I got back to LA I called my brother, I hadn’t spoken to him in a month or two.

I just had to get over myself.  I had to let myself go. I had to stop worrying so damn much.  I’m not saying I’m now some bubbly girl who walks around hugging people and making jokes all the time.  But guess I’ve realized I shouldn’t look down on her for being like that.  That there’s nothing wrong with it.  That there’s something really wonderful and charming about it.

Maybe this whole summer I was just jealous of her.

And I’m not saying that we’re super close friends now.  I mean, there’s no way in hell I’ll ever have the bond that her and Megan have, but still.  It’s nice to know that she is there, and it’s nice to know that she honestly doesn’t really care that much about what I’ve done or what I haven’t done.  She just wants to have a good time with me.

I focus in on the man standing in front of me and I smile when he says, “I want you.” I breathe in the scent of him, that delicious scent of his, now mingled with the faint smell of beer.  He kisses me and I can taste it.  I close my eyes and live in this moment.  Finally fucking happy and at peace with my life.  “I always want you, girl.”

“Are you my boyfriend again, Trace?”  I ask with a smile. 

“If you want me to be.”

It doesn’t matter that I’m stressing over a job right now.  It doesn’t matter.  Nothing does.  Because I’m happy.  Courtney fucking Dawson is actually happy for once in her life.  And it’s not because everything seems to be going perfectly in her life. 

I don’t have a job.  Trace is going to be leaving in a couple weeks to go back home, and I’m not going with him because of my job hunting.  And after that he’s going to be traveling to New York to work on his clothing line.  Oh, and my apartment’s plumbing busted this morning.  

These are all the things I would have let drive me crazy before.  I would have lost my mind, gotten upset, taken it out on Trace, told him how much my life was too demanding, made up some excuse.  But now, I’m calm.

I’m ok. And it doesn’t matter all the little crappy things that have happened to me, or that will happen to me, because I have a life that’s calm now, and I’m learning how to enjoy it, how to be happy in it.  Part of it has to do with Trace, part of it has to do with not having the stress of Justin hating me. Part of it has to do with us learning the truth about Angie.  But the fact is, I’ve opened my eyes to see that this summer the problems and issues were handled poorly, and that was my own damn fault.

I’ve learned from it, I’ve grown up from it, and I know that now, I’m a better person for it.

And now, because I’ve learned how not to handle situations, I know that I’m a better person because of it.  Even as Trace kisses my neck and laughs about me being stubborn as he tries to shuffle us back through the kitchen and to his bedroom, I know I’m a better girlfriend because of it, too.  Because that’s what I am, I’m his girlfriend.  And I smile knowing that even though I can’t see the future and I don’t know what’s going to happen, I have confidence that it’s going to be ok, that this is going to last.

Maybe Meredith and I are a lot more alike than we realized.

I smile at Trace when he bumps us into the side of the doorway.  I’m giving in to Trace, I’m giving into what I want.  Not what I need, or what I think is the most productive thing I can do right now, but what I want.

I’m finally giving in with no remorse, and it feels so good.

 

Chapter 51 by Mere
Author's Notes:

This is it!  I hope it's not too anti-climatic for you guys.  But the characters are wrapped up for this story, there's little else I can do for them. haha!  Don't worry, this might not be the last time you see Justin and Mere and Trace and Courtney.  I've got a couple ideas in my head that you might see in the future.  Thanks for your comments and continued patience and support for this story!  I put a whole heck of a lot of my self, my emotions, my time, my experience, and even my own personal relationships into this story--or fantastical views of them.

And thanks to whoever, or however this story got featured here!  I just hope that you guys have enjoyed the ride of these four characters as much as I've enjoyed writing them. :) 

 

Miahaus Studios 9:35 PM

I can’t believe her plane got delayed.  It was a private jet!  I guess they are having bad storms in New York or something.  Still, it sucks.  I want my girl here, even though I know I’ll  be pulled in every direction, like I already have.  I should stop fucking whining.  I’m too whipped.  I smirk, ‘cause I really don’t fucking care.  Don’t get me wrong, though.  It has been a blast so far.  I’ve had to mingle and do all the things I’m supposed to do.  I’ve heard they are doing some toast sometime, but most of the night is just for me to enjoy myself.  It’s this weird thing, where it’s my party but I still feel obligated to talk to everyone and be sociable.  And I’ll do a lot better job of enjoying myself when I get to see what sexy little outfit my girl is wearing. I’ve had a couple drinks already so I’m nice and relaxed, and almost every body I know seems to be here: my friends from Tennessee, from here in LA, from the business, my family.  Trace is around here somewhere.  So’s Rachel.

Poor Rachel.  I really shouldn’t give her a hard time.  She did really freakin’ well in New York this past week, and so I laid off of her and tried to be relaxed and pretty chill about everything.  I’m such an asshole.  I really shouldn’t have been so annoying to her to begin with, but I guess part of me wanted to push her to see if she could handle it—ha, handle me.  I know, despite what I want to admit, that I can be an asshole.  Most of the time I do it without meaning to be that way.  I guess I just didn’t want her thinking that when we were out doing promo or on business trips that I was going to be her prankster cousin.

She’s not dumb, and she’s not 13 years old.  She’s not blind to how strict I have to be while on business.  I guess more than anything I was just nervous about not having Trace there.  I trust Rachel, but she is new at this.

I think it’ll be good with her helping me, though.

As horrible as this sounds, with Rachel, with a female, I won’t be able to get away with as much stuff as I did with Trace.  That doesn’t mean that I was always off screwing around.  I just think that it’ll be good for me.  While Rachel and I are friends, we’re cousins first.  Trace would keep me in line and keep me exactly where I needed to be, but sometimes he would get in as much trouble as I would.  Rachel keeps me in line but doesn’t let me go out of it either.  It’s not like she’s over here nagging me like my mom, but she kind of takes care of me in that same way.  Whereas Trace would have gotten drunk with me on the plane to New York, she sat there and watched a movie with me as we sipped coffee.

I’m kind of getting past all that getting drunk and partying just because I can bull shit.  I got more important things going on in my life now. 

And I think through the phone calls, more than anything, Meredith and her are becoming great friends.  They hung out a couple times before Mere went back home and every time I’d walk into the room they’d giggle like they were always up to something.   Sometimes when Mere calls me, Rachel will get on the phone and they’ll talk and Rachel will eye me funny and then burst out laughing.  I’m pretty sure though, almost all of their discussions have to do with making fun of me in some way.

Everything is really great between Mere and I.  At first I thought this whole bull shit with Angie was going to tear her apart.  I have so much faith in my girl, but I remember her last spring, I remember her having someone she trusted rip her heart out, and I was afraid of what was going to happen this time.  But she held her own, she stayed strong.  She was pretty upset, ya know? Understandably, of course.  I mean, that night when Trace and Courtney called and we found out, she cried quite a bit, and then on the plane ride home she got a little panicky about what was going to happen when we got close to landing.

It was this weird thing, too.  When we landed Courtney was there, and I suddenly realized how much of a fool I really had been.  I mean it had hit me, ya know?  I was pissed off at her at the end of tour and I had a right to be—she disappeared on my girl, on Trace, she acted ridiculous.  But I didn’t have a right to accuse her of all that other stuff.  I knew that.  I knew I was wrong when she called and told us about Angie, but when I saw her and my girl together and saw how much faith Mere put into her, how happy she was that Courtney was there to help solve this problem; and then I saw Trace watching her and looking at her and saw how much faith he had in Courtney and how he really did love her, that’s when I realized it all.

And that’s when I really started to feel like a fool. 

I always, always end up feeling like a fool. It’s happened before and lord knows it’ll happen again.  But this was a big deal, ‘cause there was little excuse for my actions.  It was hard for me to figure out what to do after that.  I mean, I like to think that despite all my faults I’m a pretty decent guy.  But I hadn’t been decent this summer and my momma would not have been proud of me.  She would understand it if I explained it to her, but she wouldn’t be proud.  So I didn’t know how to act.

It took time, and I’m just glad that Courtney nor Trace has really come up to me and had to have this heart to heart about how wrong I was and how I should beg them for forgiveness.  Trace isn’t like that—he just gets me; and I think Courtney has realized that talking about all the bull shit that happened is just going to make this shit worse and more awkward.

It’s water under the bridge. 

And thankfully this bridge is pretty damn big.

It’s been weird, too, being back in the real world. Vacation with Mere was as real as it got, but it was a fantasy also, and being back here—being back in LA and New York—promoting and working and being in this fog of places and interviews and photo shoots and all that crap has just been a struggle to get use to.  I’m a pro at this shit. I’ve done this for so long I could do it in my sleep. Hell, I probably do it in my sleep. 

But I’ve missed my girl.  I mean, I see her every now and then, and I talk to her everyday; but it’s not like it was when we were together every moment.  Even when I was annoying her and she was annoying me those last couple days on vacation, I could tell she still loved me and enjoyed being with me. 

It’s shit like that that proves this is different for me.  It gives me even more proof than that stone I gave her.

I was pissed off when I found out that I missed her in New York by mere hours.  When I landed back here in LA two days ago I had a text from Mere saying, “Just got into the city, call me.” I called her back confused because I thought that she was getting into the city the next night.  If I had known I would have pushed my stuff back and flown out with her this afternoon.  That way we would at least get to spend a night or two together in New York.  But I guess that would be impossible, ‘cause I’d be way late to my own release party.  Whatever…

“Hey man…” I look up and focus on the people in front of me instead of looking down at the melting ice in my Jack and Coke. Trace is there with Courtney who’s smiling and holding onto his arm.

Seeing them makes me think for a moment that they are going to tell me they saw Mere.  I don’t know why I think that, but I perk up anyway and say, “Hey, she here?”

“No, not that I know of.”

I guess I seem like a fucking loser at my own party.  I mean, I’ve been talking to people and making the rounds, but for the past minute I’ve completely been a wallflower, leaning against the wall, thinking about my girl and how much I wish she were here already to share this with me.

“He’s been too busy checking out some of the celebrity asses.” Courtney laughs and glares at him in a playful mood. 

“I have not.”

Ever since I got back a couple days ago they’ve been kind of all over each other.  I mean, it’s not like they make out all the time, but they hold hands and he’ll kiss her in front of me.

I guess they are back together and I guess neither of them is ashamed or weird about that.  I’m happy for Trace.  I know that sounds pathetic after all that’s gone on, but seriously.  Maybe starting over with her was a good idea, maybe they needed that break.  I like to think that all of their issues weren’t solely to deal with me, even though I know a lot of them were.  I guess it’s just a lame attempt to make me feel better about the whole situation.

 “Keep him in line Courtney,” I say to her, scanning the crowd behind both of them when I see a short brunette walk by.  It’s not her.

“He’s not doing a good job of keeping either of us in line,” she says, laughing, leaning on him a little bit.

“We did shots.”  He shrugs.

“Clearly.” I laugh and nod, keeping my eyes out over the crowd.

“Ben and Travis might come over tomorrow to discuss some shit.”

“I should be around.”  I look at Trace and smile a little bit, “Later though, right?”

“Yeah, later afternoon.”  He laughs and rolls his eyes.  “Don’t worry.  You’ll get to have time with your girl.  It’ll only be an hour or so.  They’ll have samples so she can come and hanging out if she wants to.”

That might be fun.  And I’m sure Mere would love the attention of playing fashion model for Trace’s jeans.

My jeans, too now.  I gotta get use to that.

I think it’ll be fun, ya know?  I feel like I got a pretty good fashion sense, and this shit Trace is working on is pretty fucking cool.  I’m excited to be apart of it, to put my name on something that I really think is gonna be a cool endeavor.  It’s like a new path for me and him to take, a new adventure different from anything else we’ve done together.  I think that’s good for us, I think that’s what we need, something other than the same old shit we’ve done together for the past, hell, almost eight years. 

Shit, I’m getting old.

“Someone’s calling for you,” Courtney says, looking at Trace and nodding over to the left.  We both turn to look in that direction and see Marty and Jacob waving at us to come over to where they are sitting at a wide table by the bar.  I think I’m just gonna hang out here for a second, or maybe go into the front room and see if Mere’s here before I find myself a station for the night beside my friends. 

“Hey.” Trace reads my mind and says to me, “When Mere gets here come find us, ok?”  I nod and he nudges me because I’m not really paying attention to him.  “Celebrate good times, come on!”

He’s been drinking tequila.  He only gets weird and ridiculous like this when he drinks straight tequila. “You’re weird, Ayala.”

“Learned it from you, dearest.”  He smiles smugly and pulls Courtney along with him to the table.

“Did he just call you ‘dearest’?”

I turn and see Megan standing there with a weird look on her face and a hand on her hip.  I can’t help myself and I reach out, hug her and breathe out, “Thank god.”

“Calm down,” she laughs, pats my shoulder and pushes me away.  “She had to potty and there was a line, and she started talking to someone, too.  So you got me for now.”

“She alright?” I ask.

“She’s Mere,” Megan laughs and shrugs. “Oh, but I’m fine thanks, despite the fact that Josh and I got in a fight.”

I laugh and apologize for not really paying attention to her or acting like I care she’s here, even though I know she’s just playing around with me. “I’m sorry girl.  I’m just kind of out of it.  Why’s he being a dick?”

She rolls her eyes and huffs, “Because we discussed my job prospects and he doesn’t want me to move.”

By ‘job prospects’ she means stay where she’s at or go help Mere.  I think she’s going to do the latter, and from what Mere says the past week with Megan in New York was awesome.  Megan has no experience, but I got this feeling that she’ll be great at it.  She’s so to the point and if she needs something to happen, she’ll make it happen.  Plus, I know my girl will love it to have her best bud with her.  I just hope the two goof balls will keep themselves in line.  Maybe Megan and Rachel should talk, or maybe they should both sit down with Trace for some pointers.  Shit, I don’t know what I’m so worried about.  I should really just let it go.

“He does realize that you will probably be in New York like half of the time?”  I say.

She rolls her eyes and waves her hand about, but I can tell by the look in her face that she really does care, and this ‘whatever’ attitude she’s showing right now is just so I won’t pry too much.

“He’s stupid.”

I nudge her with my elbow to try and get her smile. I ask her what she’d like to drink but she says she’s fine right now.  She’s looking out over the crowd, probably looking for Mere like I have been.  I place my small glass on a table small empty table by my right side that’s cluttered with other discarded glasses. “I wouldn’t worry about it, girl. From what Mere tells me I’m sure he’ll come around.  He worships you.”

“As he should,” she laughs, but I don’t know if I even really hear it.

I see her. 

She’s rolling her eyes as she walks up to me and she’s wearing this gorgeous, low cut black dress with this shiny stuff on it.  It’s short, too and her legs, despite how short she is, look as long and fucking incredible as ever.  When she gets in front of me I just look at her, unable to stop staring at her.  Her eyes are bright and her lips are so fucking full and delicious looking. Her breasts are secure in her top, but round and teasing just slightly, and her hair’s pulled back and her neck is bare and slender.

And I just stare at her and listen to her voice as she rambles out, standing right beside me but not even touching me, yet.

Her eyes widen in animation and her mouth moves in such a way that I’m immediately turned on, and I just listen…

“Oh my god, I’m sorry it took forever.  I mean first with the damn plane and then traffic!  I mean you would have thought the Beatles reunited or came back from he dead or whatever.  And then I get here and we couldn’t find anywhere to park, and the valets were being stupid.  I’m like, hello guest of honor’s girl right here.  Anyway, so I come in and I had to pee and I got in line and then I saw Jenny and she would not…shut…up! Like I was in the freaking bathroom, which, two stalls? For girls? That’s it!?”  She puts her sequined purse that she had been waving around, under one arm and rolls her eyes.  “Oh my god, and she’s talking to me while I pee. I’m like…weird.  But I guess it would have been weirder if she just sat there and listened to me tinkle!” 

She rolls her eyes dramatically and without even taking a breath, keeps talking, and I keep staring at her eyes and her mouth and every little part of her. 

“Thankfully, when I got out Tim stole me away from Jenny, but then he wouldn’t shut up.  But I could tell that he was tipsy already, so I just had to tell him I hadn’t seen you yet and he pushed me in this direction.  But like, god Justin,” she says looking around the room we’re in.  “Invite all of California out for your damned release!! Oh! And I saw your momma in the distance.”  She laughs.  “Well, I really just saw her hair.”

I smile at her as she takes a breath, bites her lip and is silent as she realizes she just spent the last minute uncontrollably rambling.  It’s cute in a way that she’s so excited to see me and tell me every detail that she gets carried away with it.

And I’m carried away with her.  I grab her arm and pull her towards me. “Come ‘ere…”

She sort of falls into me, her arms around my middle, mine around her shoulders, and she kisses me, smiling blissfully before her lips touch mine.  But the kiss is only for a moment, and she pulls back to look at me and only me, holding on to me with one hand because of the damned purse in her other hand.  She can’t stop smiling, and she looks—she just…

She’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. Everything about her fucking sparkles.

“I’m going to mingle,” I hear and I look over at Megan to see that she’s giving us a weird look, as if to say “ok y’all apparently need to be alone.”  I don’t know how long we’ve been staring at each other and smiling all goofy, but I’m suddenly thrown back into reality: that I’m with her, but I’m not alone. 

I nod over towards the bar and smile at Megan, who now looks like she really does need a drink.

“I think Courtney and Trace are over by the bar at a table or something.”

“Gotcha.” She walks away by patting Mere on the head and Mere just sticks her tongue out at her.

Once Megan is gone I feel my girl’s lips on my neck and her nose rubs into my skin there near my jaw.  I try not to pay attention to the crowd, but some people are staring.  They’ve pulled back to give us space, but they’re paying attention.  “You smell good,” she purrs at me.

“And you look good.”  I pull back a little, but keep my hands on her arms. I smirk, looking at her up and down, seeing how low her top really is and how short her dress really is and how high her heels really are. I can see this all now that she’s closer.  She looks sexy as hell, classy, but damn sexy.  And I want it.

“Damn girl. Is this all for me?” I say, teasing her.

“Mmmhmm,” She leans in to kiss me again, and I just laugh as she widens her eyes. “There’re surprises, too!”

I pull back a little, “Surprises?”

“Underneath,” she whispers and then bites her lip to hold in her giggles.

I pretend to look up over her and say in a loud voice, “Party’s over.”  No one cares, a couple people look at me and smile and laugh but no one really pays attention.

“Shut up…”  Mere laughs and swats at my chest.  I look down at her and pull her back so we’re leaning against the wall a little bit. She’s leaning close to me, looking up at me with this worried expression.  “You look tired, you ok?”

I roll my head to hers and say, “Running on empty.”

“Nothing for two and half days, right?” she asks me, making sure I haven’t planned anything big over the next two days we get to be together.

I smirk and lean in and pinch her side, saying softly, “Nothing but your naked booty.”

“You’re a nerd.”  

“You love me, though.” I pull her so she’s leaning against my front, my back against the wall and I kiss her again, this time deep, and when I pull back I smile and say, “God girl, you even taste delicious.”

I don’t care anymore who’s watching us.

“Sandra gave this lip gloss to me,” she says, bringing up her hand to wipe at my lips.  I guess I got some on me.  I kiss at her fingers as she does it and she gives me a stern look before continuing, “She said guys love it.  It’s some berry mix or something.”

“You want a drink?” I ask out of the blue.  But I’m starting to feel the alcohol hit me a bit now that she’s here.  Maybe I’m just buzzed off her.  Either way, I need to move away from his wall before my hands start roaming a little bit too far.  And if I’m tipsy, I want her to be as well.

“Ooo, champagne or girly drinks tonight?” she asks me.  She always has a hard time picking out what type of drink she wants, so she’ll ask me.  We’ve learned that she can’t mix her champagne or wine and liquors so she has to decide at first what kind of alcohol she’s going to drink that night before she gets started.

“Whatever you want tonight.”

She smiles. “Champagne. We’re celebrating.”  I grab her hand and walk with her through a crowd of people, trying not to get too caught up in people saying hello to me or her but smiling and nodding along the way, finally making our way to the bar.  I order us both a glass of champagne and I turn to her as we wait for our drinks.

“So what’s this surprise underneath?”  I raise my eyebrows.

“It’s pretty, I’ll tell you that much,” she crosses her arms over her chest.  “And that’s it.”

I pout at her. “Can’t I get a little peek?”

“Not here.”  She laughs.

“I’ve got a private room.”

“Are you serious?” she asks, shocked and amused, smacking her purse down on the counter.

“Look over there.”  I point to the other side of the room where there’s a door that says private on it.  I don’t know who planned this party out, Trace might have helped, Johnny, the label, who knows?  But they got me a private room with a stocked bar.  I haven’t even had time to really check it out yet, just glanced inside when we first got here.

“So like, we go in it and shut the door and that’s not suspicious?”  She laughs.  Our champagne is handed to us in two slender flute glasses.

“Everyone’s drunk and please, you’re my girl.  It’s obvious we get nasty together.”

“You’re nasty.”  She laughs again. I smile back at her, her laughter’s starting to become infectious.

“Cheers.”  I hold up my glass to her.

“To?”  She holds up her glass, the champagne sparkling almost as much as she is.

“Getting nasty.”  She giggles and clinks her glass with mine and I watch her as she sips it.

Her eyes widen, full of energy, and she leans in a bit but says quickly, “Oh I almost forgot, I got another present.”  She clutches her purse tightly to her chest as she takes another sip.

“Yeah?”

She smiles secretively and nods over towards the private room. “We can go in there for it.”

“Hey little lady!”  She gets cut off and I look over and see Tiny standing right there, his huge presence parts the crowd around him and gives us more space. I shake hands with him as he looks at Mere and says, “I’m glad you made it alright.  He was whining.  I thought I was going to have to send him home early from his own party.”

“You’re hilarious.” I glare at him.

“Teddy’s here,” Mere says, ignoring me.  “When I came in he saw some people he knew, but I know he brought cards with him.”

“Good to see ya.” He leans in and kisses her cheek before pulling back and smirking, “You all partying it up hard, huh?”

“Just some bubbly right now, we’ll get the hard shit going later.”

“Holler when it happens,” he says and then nods at both of us. “But please don’t make a scene that I have to clean up!” He laughs and walks away when I roll my eyes at him.  Mere’s just sipping her champagne and giggling at us.

 “Come on…”  I take her hand and walk with her through the crowd that’s thickening, having a hard time brushing off people this go round, but I do it anyway to get to the private door.  They’ve even got a security guy sitting there.  That’s funny.  He doesn’t look like much of one, and I’m sure Tiny and Teddy and some of the other guys would crack on him so hard if they saw him.  I nod at him and we walk in.

I shut the door. 

She walks over and sets her little purse down on the counter where there’re some liquor bottles and glass wear and a tray of fruit. I go and sit on the couch that’s there and put my glass of champagne against the table beside the couch after taking a sizable gulp of the liquid.  Then I look over at her, slouching, relaxing, hoping to god she’ll come over and sit with me. “Soooo, my present?”

She looks at me, biting into a strawberry and smiles before setting down her glass and sauntering over to me.  She stares as she kicks off her heels right in front of me, and seriously she looks so fucking sexy right now. I can’t even help it and just lick my lips as I look up at her.

“No big kiss, first?” she asks, faking a pout before kneeling on the couch and leaning over me. I put my hands on her hips and pull her into me.  She presses her lips against mine and I sigh, the first real fucking kiss from her in a week.

We kiss, deep and wet, and I love the way she tastes and the way she’s holding my shoulder and the way she moans when my hand grabs at her ass.  When she pulls away and licks her lips, her gloss now smudged a bit, I lick my own and taste berries and champagne, and I feel myself go hard off just being with her.

“Mmmm,” she smirks, teasing me and sitting beside me, her legs across my lap, sitting so close.  I wanted her to sit down and straddle me, but she moved.  I guess maybe it’ll mess up her dress.

“Maybe I should give you both presents right now,” she teases, running her hand up over my chest to my neck and pulling me towards her face so she can suck on my bottom lip.

She lets it go and bites her own bottom lip before tucking into herself all silly like.  Fucking tease…

“Really?”  I breathe.

She giggles and leans in so close to me and whispers in a naughty tone, “I’m not going to have sex with you and then go back out there.”

“So sex isn’t my present?” I say back at her.

“Sex is a given, Justin,” she replies matter of factly.  I smile and nod at her.  “The present is the outfit that you get prior to sex, the outfit that is underneath.”  She looks down at herself and then back up at me.  “Clear?” 

And like that we’re wild, her hands running over my head, her groaning when she doesn’t have anything to hold on to.  Her fingers gently touch my face.  I shaved.  And I know she likes it.  I lean over her and press against her—her breasts are about to fall out of her top.  I see black and lace underneath and I want to see more, but I’ll just take this peak and enjoy it.  I hold onto her ass and kiss her and kiss her: her mouth, her neck, her jaw. I can’t get enough of her.  I haven’t seen her in a week or so and it just feels good to touch her and kiss her and be with her.  And with the way her hands are against me, I know she’s glad to have me near, too.

When I pull back from her neck to kiss against her lips again, she’s breathless and whispers that she missed me.  She holds onto the edges of my vest, needing to hold on to something as she tries to regulate her breathing underneath me.  And I pull back and kiss her nose and tell her the same.  Then I say, “You hinted at another present.”

“In my purse.”  She smiles, looking all over my face and then giggling.

“What?”

“You’re all shaven and your hair—it’s different.  It’s short!”  I laugh at her and stumble off of her and walk over to the bar where her purse is.

“Did you figure out about your hair?” I ask.  The other night she spent two hours on the phone with me, sending me instant messages filled with links of pictures of different hair styles, asking me which ones I thought were the best. 

“Long for now. Maybe do something shorter when I go on tour. We’ll see.”

I open up her purse and see a small plastic bag wrapped around a velvety box. “This?”

“Yeah.”  I take out the plastic bag and open it.  It’s a jewelry box inside and when I slide it into my hand and open it, encased inside there’s a small, simple, silver chain with a diamond on the end of it sparkling up at me.  I grin only for a moment. It’s pretty, really fucking pretty, but I’m pretty sure this isn’t for me.

“Um, it’s a girl’s necklace,” I say to her as she’s standing up and walking towards me.

I pull the necklace out of the box. “It’s not for you, dumbo.  It’s mine, with your diamond, well our diamond, or whatever.”

I just stare at it.  I can’t stop staring at it and thinking about her wearing this, it gracing across her neck.  Little tiny things like this, this is the reason why I love her.  Because she takes the time out to think about these things.  I expected it to just be thrown in a drawer until we were ready to make that bigger step, but no, she wants it on her—she doesn’t want to forget it and she doesn’t want to forget me.

“So you’re going to wear it?”  I ask her, the necklace is so delicate and it dangles from my hand.

“Everyday.”  I look at her and she’s looking up at me with question. “If it’s ok?”

“Come here.”  I smile at her and turn her around.  I pull her hair out of her way behind her neck and work diligently to get the necklace around her.  She picks up her champagne glass beside her purse and sips while I work.  She laughs because it takes a while, the clasp is too small for my hands and I frustratingly struggle with it.  Finally, it works.

She turns around and to see it on her through the mirror behind all the liquor bottles.  All I can think is that she’s mine and that tonight, I’ll see her with that necklace on and only that necklace on.  It’ll be sparkling in the dim light above her naked body…

Shit…I love this girl.

I can’t help myself.  I step around her and hold her face and kiss her.  She kisses me back and it all just overcomes me and I can’t stop myself from picking her up, her dress riding up as she squeals and straddles my front.  I hope I don’t mess up her dress but I can’t help myself, and the way she’s holding me, kissing me and laughing loudly, I know she doesn’t mind.  Fucking girl just makes me too damn happy.

I lean her down on the couch and kiss her like crazy.  I am crazy, so fucking crazy for her. She laughs at me I don’t know why, I guess she’s just happy.

I guess I make her happy as well.

I press my lips against her cleavage and she keeps laughing.  I don’t stop and I smile against her skin as she’s pushing against my head and telling me to “stop”. 

But the tone of her voice means “go…” 

And I’m going…

I open my mouth against the plump flesh that’s right there and start to suck against her, but I sigh when I hear a knock at the door.  Dammit…

I sigh again and look up at her, and she’s just grinning at me with wide eyes.  I roll my eyes and say loudly, “come in” not really caring who sees me on top of her right now.  Mere scolds me and pushes up at me to get me off of her, but I won’t let her go.  I smile at her as she pouts and whines, finally able to sit up, but my arms are still around her.

The door opens and I take my eyes off Mere’s chest where she was wiping with her hand to my mother, who’s hanging in the door way looking at me like she’s bored out of her mind. “Hey….” 

She purses her lips and just stares at me, “Honey, it’s your own party…”

“And Ma,” I laugh and tickle at Mere’s sides as she smacks my hands.  “She’s my own girlfriend.”

“They’re about to do some toast for you,” she rolls her eyes.  “I figured you should be a part of it.”

“Ok, I’ll be right there.”

“Hey Lynn,” Mere says.

“Hey sweetie.”  My mom smiles at Mere and then glares at me, “Stop hogging her.”

“Yes Ma’am.”  I laugh and my mom leaves and shuts the door.  Mere takes a deep breath and smiles at me while she rubs her hand against my head.

“She’s great.”

I smile back at her and shrug, saying, “I love you. And my present.” 

“Just you wait.” She presses her lips to mine and before I can deepen the kiss she pulls away, smiles and whispers, “Come on…”

I follow her and hold her hand like I’m some damned lost puppy.  She has me wrapped around her finger so fucking tight, and there’s no place else I’d rather be than right there, right here, holding her hand.  As we go out into the crowd of people, I have to get lost in it.  It’s no longer just about me and her any more.  We aren’t alone, that’s clear by everyone shouting at us and trying to get us to stop and talk.  Half way to the bar, people are hollering and whistling at me. I get sucked up in the mess of it all, but still...

The entire time she’s still by my side, smiling at me. 

And even if someone pulls her away in a minute, which I’m sure will happen—she has friends here, too—it doesn’t matter, ‘cause I’ll look her way and she’ll still be smiling at me.  And she’ll still be sparkling, like her fucking diamond.

There’s been so much stuff that’s happen the past year of my life and I’ve lived a long, full life.  It’s crazy to think that there’s so much left to do, so much left I want to do. I’ve done so much with her already but there’s even more still.  Same with Trace.  You’d think after twenty-whatever years we’d have run out of things to do together, but it hasn’t happened.  I thought maybe this summer it was happening, but I was wrong.  We got this new line to figure out, and I have a feeling it’s gonna be fucking amazing.

This party is going to be amazing, this next year is: it’s all just starting to go my way.  It always has gone my way.  I’ve been a fucking lucky son of a bitch, and I’m now finally starting to really realize that.

I guess I just had to get over myself, I had to grow up.  And now that I’ve done that, or at least started to, it’s like I’m staring over. I’ve got the rest of my life in front of me, and that’s an exciting idea.  It’s like I can finally see it all so clear.  I don’t see everything and I never will, but the things I know and the things that matter finally make sense to me.  All I had to do was look at the way I was going in my life.  I’ve learn from it and figured out what I really want to do, what direction I need to go and who I want to take with me.  And what I want, more than music or fame or money or even a hot chick by my side—I want to be happy.  And I fucking realize now that as long as I have one great friend who’s happy in his life, and as long as I got one great girl who’s happy to share my life, then I’ll be alright.  I’ll be happy.

I got both, and I got so much more.

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=296