Snowed In by Mandy822
Summary: For my Secret Santa, DiamondDoss! She requested, a party, music, snow and romance. I hope this hits all those elements for you girl enjoy !! 
Categories: Challenges Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: Secret Santa Holiday Bash
Challenges: Secret Santa Holiday Bash
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 8785 Read: 1181 Published: Jan 04, 2016 Updated: Jan 04, 2016

1. Prologue by Mandy822

2. Chapter 1 by Mandy822

3. Chapter 2 by Mandy822

4. Chapter 3 by Mandy822

5. Chapter 4 by Mandy822

6. Epilogue by Mandy822

Prologue by Mandy822
Author's Notes:
Justin's POV. 

We met on a Saturday two years ago. Thinking about it now still makes me smile. Neither one of us was anticipating the events that unfolded that night at one of my band members Christmas parties. I might not remember it as perfectly as she does, but I do remember the important things.

 

Since then life has taken a lot of twists and turns, but I know that this is exactly what I want. Was there ever doubt? Of course. Even now as I run my thumb over the soft velvet box in my pocket I reconsider doing it. Things haven’t been smooth sailing for us recently. I spend a lot of time away from home, and she has a full time job as a supervisor at a call center. Getting her to even leave work early to pick me up at the airport was a struggle. 

 

Letting out a long sigh, I pull my hand out of my coat pocket as the small jet begins to descend towards the Denver International Airport. I haven't seen her in almost a month, and I know she’s bothered by that. It’s not intentional, but my life is in Los Angeles, and hers is here in Colorado. Granted the distance isn’t far but, it’s still distance between us. Hopefully that will change soon enough.

 

The clouds outside the window are a pale gray and thick. I can’t even see the snow covered mountains below us yet. The turbulence rocks and sways the jet as it descends closer and closer towards the runway. My stomach turns when we take a sharp dip downwards. Digging my fingers into the arm of the seat, I close my eyes and rest the back of my head against the head rest. I fucking hate smaller jets. The turbulence is always ten times worse. 

 

Red lights from the runway finally become visible below us, and the wet snow begins to hit the window. I grab my scarf off the seat next to me, along with my black beanie and gloves. I enjoy the cold every once in awhile, but I’m used to the warm California weather. 

 

 

The wheels of the jet hit the runway strip causing the jet to bounce a bit as it finally touches ground. I pull my seat bet off at the same time that I switch my phone back on.  Glancing out the window, I get a nice view of Denver International. Denver airport and I see a lot of each other. Its  as familiar to me now as LAX. The door opens and I swing my carry on over my shoulder as I make my way down the steps and onto the cemented runway. The cold air hits my face, and wet snow instantly lands on my cheeks and coat. Ryland hates taking a car with a driver to the airport. She likes to remind me that I’m not ‘special’ here like I am in other places. Instead of being met by a black luxury car, I’m met by airport security to be driven to the front of the airport instead. 

 

I take my seat in the back of the white vehicle with orange flashing lights on top of the hood. I keep my carry on with me as we make the short drive to arrivals. Reaching into my pocket I finally pull out the black velvet box all the way. I move it between my two gloved hands carefully. I’m scared that Ryland might not want the same things. She’s headstrong and makes it clear every chance she gets that she doesn’t need anyone to take care of her. I don’t want to just take care of her though. I don’t want her to stop being who she is. 

 

I shifted my gaze out the front windshield and instantly spot her cream colored mini cooper parked along the curb. Inhaling a shaky breath, I finally open the velvet box. The solitaire  diamond shines back at me, and I hope and practically pray that by the end of the night it’ll find it’s new permanent home on her ring finger. 

 

My throat feels dry as I quickly shove it back into my pocket. The security guard opens my door for me and I thank him before wishing him a Merry Christmas. Ryland doesn’t get out of the car as I approach it, but she does pop the trunk for me to toss my carry on into. I dust some snow off of my shoulder before finally pulling the passenger door open and sliding into her warm car.

Chapter 1 by Mandy822
Author's Notes:
< The bulk of the story is Ryand's POV> 

 (2 years earlier) 

 

I really hate Christmas parties. They always bring out the ugly in people. Too much booze and cookies really breaks a person down. I’m a sucker though and somehow got talked into being a designated driver for one of my best friends Lex. The thing with the holidays is they are completely hectic. At work we had an ugly sweater contest. Of course when it comes to competing I tend to go a bit extreme. I dressed up my wonderful red sweater with battery powered lights, colorful bulbs, shiny green garner, and silver strung beads. The bright side is I did win the fun prize of snowman shaped coffee mugs and hot cocoa mix. The downside was I had no time to rush home and change before the party. 

 

The party is filled with people I don’t even know. Lex has been seeing some guitar player that’s been on tour over the last few months. This is his Christmas party, and it’s packed with all kinds of people in their nice fancy Christmas attire and perfectly done hair. All the while I’m sitting next to the snack table with my lit up sweater and black slacks from work. I’ve been given the side eye one too many times already. 

 

Picking up a candy cane off the tray next to me, I begin to unwrap it as the wonderful sound of Donny Hathaway’s voice fills the room to the tune of This Christmas. “Ry ! Come here I want you to meet Logan.” Lex insists, as she grabs my arm and pulls me up off my chair. I hold onto my candy cane as she weaves me through the sea of people and over to a decorative set up near an 8 foot Christmas tree. 

 

“Lex I really am not dressed to impress right now…” I stated through gritted teeth. Forcing myself to smile as she ignored my plea, I managed to roll with it. Fortunately Logan was already obviously buzzed as he complimented my sweater. 

 

“Logan, this is Ryland. Ryland ….Logan.” She smiled between the two of us as I awkwardly shook his hand. He took a long drink from his red solo-cup. 

 

“Nice to meet you Ryland. I’m really glad you girls could make it.” His focus was more on Lex than me. I don’t blame him. She’s a good 5’9 with a killer ombre of chestnut brown hair and golden blonde, she does yoga every day and her sister’s and esthetician so her skin is flawless. As for me well, I work 80 hours a week, my auburn hair is in need of a root touch up, and I might run on the treadmill every now an again. If that doesn't get them hot and bothered then I’m sure my 5’2 height is what seals the deal. I’m fun sized, it’s cute, but not sexy. 

 

“Glad I could make it too…” My voice trails off as it becomes obvious I have just become the third wheel. Logan has Lex wrapped up in his arms as he pulls her over towards a mistletoe that’s hanging above the foyer. Shaking my head, I decided to take it upon myself to search for the nearest bathroom. I don’t mean to be bitter, but being alone and single around this time of year really sucks. 

 

Walking down a long hallway, I begin pushing open doors. First one broom closet, second one coat closet, third locked, forth…bathroom. Score. I let myself in and waste no time catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I can see why people have been giving me funny looks. I might as well have been tossed off the Polar Express from Christmas town. Reaching behind my back  to try and find the battery pack to switch off the string of lights is more challenging than i anticipated. Becoming frustrated I decide to take off the sweater in order to find the battery pack. 

 

As I’m standing in nothing but a bra and slacks in the guest bathroom, the door opens. I feel my face get hot from embarrassment as I’m staring at a very surprised set of blue eyes. They aren’t just any regular set of blue eyes, they belong to someone very familiar which only makes my face get hotter. 

 

“I…um…sorry. I need to use it though. I won’t look I promise.” He practically slurs. To my horror he lets himself into the bathroom and shuts the door behind him. I grab up my festive sweater and quickly cover the front of my body as I watch him set his red solo cup down on the wash basin. “Get out!” My voice goes up a few octaves from being mortified that he’s in there with me. 

 

“I really need to piss though. Can you just turn around? I’m sorry.. I promise I won’t look..” He gives me a pleading look, his eyes are glazed over and I can tell he is pretty shit faced. Meeting him with a glare seems appropriate as I turn both faucets on in the sink before turning around and pulling my sweater back on.My heart is pounding in my chest as I let him do his business. I want to just get out of there as fast as I can, but of course the universe is a bitch. My sweater catches in the clasp of my bra exposing my bare back. I tug and groan while struggling to fix it. 

 

“Hold on…” He laughs, and before I can object I feel his hands on my sweater as he works to get it out of the clasp. 

 

“What are you doing?” I look over my shoulder at him, only to be met with a lazy side smile. 

 

“I’m saving your life. Hold still I almost got it.” His fingers are warm as they lightly brush against my back. I can smell the bitterness of beer and tequila mixed in with the faint woodsy sweet scent of his cologne. I have no idea what it is but it smells good on him. “There. You’re free.” He declares, grabbing his cup up and finishing whatever was remaining in it. 

 

“Thanks.” We make eye contact for a moment before I turn the handle on the door and leave without so much as mumbling a goodbye. My face still burns from embarrassment. My hands pat at my cheeks while I make the journey down the hallway and into the kitchen. I want to find Lex and peace out now that I’ve completely humiliated myself.  

 

“Hey wait…” He calls out, catching up to me in the kitchen. I look around the room and then back at him as he holds up a shiny green Christmas bulb. “This fell off of you.” 

 

The reflection in the bulb stares at me as I stare at it. “Are you trying to make this the most humiliating night of my existence?” I snatch the bulb from him and attach it back onto my sweater. 

 

“You? I’m the one who walked in without even knocking. I’m sorry…I wouldn’t have if it wasn’t an emergency.” He grabs up a bulk sized bottle of tequila and pours a decent amount into his cup. “I’m Justin.” 

 

I fight the urge to roll my eyes. Of course he’s Justin. He’s the only Justin who happens to have just been on a world wide tour for his album that has sold millions of copies. A co-worker of mine has his face on one of her coffee mugs. Now his face is on the other side of the kitchen island. “I’m Ryland. Thanks again for the assistance back there and for returning part of my sweater.” 

 

“You’re welcome.” He raises his glass to me and downs it like a pro. I watch as he practically walks in a zig zag line towards the back door. Looking around the kitchen, I notice everyone else is pretty much on the verge of being trashed as well. They are oblivious to the fact that Mr. Timberlake has just stepped outside into the snow with nothing but a light sweater and jeans. 

 

“Hey!” Reluctantly I follow him because I would feel partially to blame if an iconic pop star turned into a popsicle. My teeth clatter while I’m watching him attempt to walk through 3 feet of snow in the backyard. Wrapping my arms around my mid section I stupidly go after him in my sweater that is also knit and not very warm. “Justin!” A light snow begins to fall, and he stumbles once and catches himself before turning to look over at me. “Where are you going? You’re going to freeze your ass off out here.” I manage to get out through clattering teeth. 

 

“I’m going home. Tell Logan I had to go…but it was a pretty rad party.” He gives me a thumbs up before completely losing his balance when he steps into a deep patch of snow. 

 

“You’re toasted. Come back inside. I’ll get my friend and I’ll give you a lift back to your hotel or your mansion whatever you’re staying in here.” Trudging through the snow, my hand finally finds his. It’s definitely not warm anymore as I tug it and begin leading him back to the house. 

 

“I don’t have a mansion here.” His tone is defensive, but he takes my hand willingly and I feel slightly awkward as he laces our fingers together. Apparently he’s a very touchy drunk. “I’m staying in Denver.” He keeps pace with me as we trudge through the snow and make our way back into the warm house. 

 

“Are you serious? That’s almost an hour away. The roads are going to be so bad…can’t you stay here with Logan?” I dust off the snow from my sweater and instantly hate the cold wet feeling in my shoes. 

 

“No way, He’s got…he’s got um…some other people here. I’ll find a way…” He pulls his hand free from mine and I watch him practically walk into a wall. 

 

“Wait, let me find Lex.” Instinctively I take his hand again and he gives me a child-like smile before deciding he wants to go with me again. 

 

“I like you Regan.” He admits.

 

“It’s Ryland, and no you don’t you’re just really drunk.” I sigh as I scan the crowd for Lex. 

 

“Do you think tequila makes people drunk?” He asks in a pretty convincing serious tone. I fight back the urge to laugh as we make our way into the living room. 

 

“Yes. I believe it does.” Relief sets in when I find Lex on the couch with Logan and a few other people. “Hey, I hate to rain on your parade, but I think we should probably go now…” Justin’s arm wraps around my shoulder and he pulls me close against his body. I can feel my cheeks burn again as he does this. Lex stares at me for a moment and then much to my surprise she laughs. 

 

“Oh shit Ry. If you need to go I completely understand. I don’t blame you at all…” Her focus is on Justin as he has decided I am his sober friend of the moment. 

 

“What? No! It’s not like that. He needs a ride home… or to his hotel whatever. It’s a long story.” My focus moves over to Logan, who is also completely gone. Like I said, I really hate Christmas parties. 

 

“He’s staying at the Ritz…on..um…” Logan looks towards Justin for confirmation.

 

“The Ritz on the hill…” Justin chimes in. “Regan saved my life. I saved hers first though.” 

 

“It’s Ryland. You know what? We’ll figure it out. Are you coming Lex?” I plead with my eyes, and she quickly puts her wine glass to her lips. 

 

“I think I’m gonna stay here with Logan…” She gives me a sheepish smile and I envision shooting daggers at her out of my pupils. 

 

“Fine. Let’s go Justin.” I sigh,not having anymore energy or patience to waste. “Do you have a jacket or coat or something?” I open up the coat closet near the door where Lex placed ours into, and grab my beige pea coat. Of course Justin picks out a black Gucci coat and manages to pull it on.

 

“Where are we going?” He asks, but follows me anyways.

 

 I take out my car keys and pull open the front door, leading him down the salted walkway towards my car. 

 

“To your hotel. First I’ll get you some coffee though so your ass can sober up.” We reach my mini cooper and I pull the passenger door open for him.

 

“Is this your ride?” He raises his eyebrows at me as he struggles to pull his gloves out of his coat pocket. 

 

“Yes. Get in. The snow’s coming down harder now.” I shut the door behind him and get into the drivers side. Placing the key into the ignition, I quickly turn the heater on and sit for a minute while the ice thaws from my windshield. 

 

“This is a nice car.” He admits in a more quiet tone. He’s still pretty trashed, but I think all the yanking around I’ve been doing with him has sobered him up just a bit. 

 

“It’s my first car. I love it.” I place my cold hands over the vent as the warm air pours out of it. 

 

“I loved my first car too.” He pulls his gloves on, and settles into the seat. We sit in silence for a moment as the the defroster begins to slowly melt the ice. 

 

When I glance over at his profile, he greets my gaze with a lazy side smile. It’s weird to look at him like this. His features are highlighted from my headlight beams. “You have nice eyes.” I instantly want to hit my head off the steering wheel. I have no idea why I just complimented him. I felt inclined to. 

 

He laughs, making me feel even more like an idiot. “So do you. They’re really pretty, I’m a sucker for hazel green eyes.” 

 

My stomach flutters at his returned compliment. I hate myself for feeling giddy when he says it. “Thanks. They were passed down from my grandmother.” I’m relieved when the window has defrosted enough for me to see through. I reeve the engine once before turning the wipers on. “Ready?” 

 

He nods and closes his eyes a moment. “Ryland….” He practically whispers.

 

Quickly I look over at him, impressed he finally got my name right. “What’s up?”

 

“I have no fucking clue what hotel I’m staying at.” A sheepish smile spreads across his face, and I curse under my breath as I back out of my parking spot and head towards the main road. 

Chapter 2 by Mandy822

The snow quickly escalated into a full on snow storm. I kept a death grip on the steering wheel the entire time that we drove. I could tell that it was even freaking Justin out because he didn’t say a word the entire time. 

 

At some point I gave up trying to locate his hotel. Our cell phone signals came and went and without them Siri couldn’t find the nearest Ritz Carlton. Taking it upon myself I made the executive decision and just go to the one place I was familiar with. 

 

My fingers flicked my turning single on and I took a left turn off the main road into a residential area. Once he noticed we weren’t going to make it the next 20 miles to Denver he sat up straight. “Where are we going?” 

 

I wanted to laugh at the obvious nervous tone in his voice. He could without a doubt pick me up with one arm and toss me a few yards, and yet I was the one who had just made him nervous. “To my apartment. Don’t spazz out okay? It’s just until the storm lets up then we can head back towards Denver.” 

 

He kept his gaze out the window as we drove past snow covered houses and yards. He seemed fixated on the scenery. There were so many things going through my mind, I could only imagine what was going on in his. He was probably regretting going to that Christmas party now. 

 

Taking a final right turn, I pulled up against the curb in front of my apartment complex. Shutting off the engine I wasted no time in getting out and heading up the walk way towards the door. I wanted to be warm and out of my cold wet clothes. He followed behind me and didn’t waste any time letting himself into the warmth of my apartment. “Holy shit. How do you live in this weather?” He asked, shaking the snow out of his short wet brown hair. 

 

I kicked my shoes off and peeled my socks off right behind them. “When you’ve lived here all your life, you just accept it.” 

 

He pulled off his coat and hung it on my key rack. His sweater was sticking to his body, and his cheeks were pink from the cold. The next words that were going to come out of my mouth were going to seem completely inappropriate. “If you strip down to your boxers I can toss your clothes in the dryer. That sounds really bad, but unfortunately I have no male companion to leave his clothes here for you to borrow.” 

 

He cocked an eyebrow at me and then looked down at his wet clothes. “Alright. I guess it’s only fair since I’ve seen you without yours…” His sweater came up over his head, and his jeans went down just as easily. My eyes widen from both surprise and pure wonder. He pulled his phone and wallet out of his pockets before handing his clothes over to me. 

 

Slowly, I took them from him and then gave him another glare. He was really good at making my cheeks burn. “I take it you get undressed on command often?” I made my way into my kitchen and over to the small laundry area. He grabbed the quilted blanket off the back of my couch and wrapped to around his shoulders, holding it closed with his hand as he followed behind me. 

 

“Yes and no.” He responded while standing in the middle of my kitchen. “It’s not the first time I’ve been asked to take my clothes off though.” 

 

I shoved his clothes into the dryer and grabbed a clean pair of yoga pants and an over sized sweater out of the laundry basket. As he was occupied with my pictures and magnets on the fridge, I took the opportunity to change clothes and hang my now ruined festive sweater over the dryer. 

 

“Do you want coffee? I can make us some…” I grabbed my stainless steel tea kettle off the stove and filled it with water. I could feel his eyes on me as I put it to boil over the stove. 

 

“You don’t have to be so nervous.” He laughed, leaning against my kitchen sink. His eyes were bright, and I could tell the glazed over look that the alcohol had given him was starting to wear off. “Is this your mom?” He pointed to a picture of me, my mom, and my sister at her high school graduation.

 

“Yes, and I’m not nervous. This is just weird. It’s not you it’s me. I’m weird.” I grabbed the coffee out of the cabinet followed by my french press coffee maker. 

 

He smiled as he admired the picture a bit more. “You look like her.” 

 

“I know. People tell me that all the time. I take it as a compliment.” My fingers fidgeted with the french press a moment. 

 

“It is. You should be flattered she’s a good looking lady.” Clearing his throat, I watched him out of the corner of my eyes rock on his heels. “So you don’t usually bring fairly intoxicated guys home with you in the middle of a snow storm?” His tone was a teasing one ,while pulling the quilted blanket tighter around his shoulders. 

 

“I don’t bring many guys home period.” I blurted out, making myself feel even more like a loser. “I work a lot.” I added. As if that would make what I’d just said any better. 

 

“So do I. This is a nice little apartment.” He stated, ignoring my comment about bringing boys home as he moved back into the living room. “So what kind of work do you do?” His eyes landed on my small 5ft Christmas tree. 

 

“I’m sure everything here is mouse sized compared to what you’re used to.” I sighed, pulling the kettle off the burner as it went off. “I work as a supervisor at a call center. I had to work today and we had our ugly sweater contest…I won.” I stopped talking as I watched him stand in front of my heater that posed as a fake fire place. He pulled the blanket off and and carefully set it over the arm of the couch. I took a moment to appreciate every muscle on his arms and shoulder blades. I really wanted to look further down, but I knew I couldn’t do it without looking like a pervert. 

 

“Sounds like a pretty complicated job. Do you like it?” His eyes stayed on me the entire time. It was making me uncomfortable, but at the same time I enjoyed it.

 

“I’d be surprised if someone else won. Those lights were a really nice touch.” He pointed out.

 

“My job is stressful, but I worked hard for it so yeah I guess I like it.” My shoulders shrugged, and I quickly pulled my sweater back up over my bare shoulder that had been exposed. 

 

 “It was nice being able to go to a Christmas party like that. It’s been awhile since I’ve been to one.” I could tell he was trying not to make this an awkward situation. Either that or he was also uncomfortable and trying to get to know me better was his only solution. 

 

I added the coffee and hot water into the french press and pushed down on the lid. “I hate Christmas parties.”

 

“Don’t be such a Scrooge.” He moved back into the kitchen with me. “How do you know Logan?” His eyes landed on the gingerbread cookies I had sitting in a ziplock bag. I watched him slink closer to them. 

 

“I don’t know him. I just met him tonight. My friend I was with, she’s been dating him for a couple of weeks. She failed to mention the band he was in is yours.” I opened the bag of cookies and put one on a napkin for him. He smiled a smile of thanks and wasted no time biting its arm off. 

 

“Maybe she knew if you found out you’d end up brining me home with you.” He shrugged innocently and I finally took the opportunity to slug him on the arm. Of course it didn’t phase him as he bit off the other gingerbread arm. 

 

“Don’t get cheeky.” I warned, as I pulled two coffee mugs out of the dishwasher. I poured us both some coffee and grabbed a cookie for myself before taking a seat across from him. “So this is perfectly normal for you? Stranded in some weird girl’s apartment, eating gingerbread men and drinking french press coffee?” 

 

He was quiet a moment before finally making eye contact with me again. “Actually no. I’ve never done this before. I live in hotels and temporarily my own home. It doesn’t feel like this though. “ He looked around my kitchen once more and we sat in silence again, aside from the light noise the dryer was making. “What does this feel like?” I asked, burying my face in my coffee mug. 

 

He looked down at the table as he stirred a few spoonfuls of sugar into his coffee. “Like a home? It’s small but it’s nice. I don’t mind it. Sorry, that probably sounds weird.” 

 

I couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face. I knew exactly what he meant. My apartment wasn’t much, but it was cozy and warm. “That’s probably the most non-weird thing you’ve said all night.” 

Chapter 3 by Mandy822

I managed to sober Justin up fully with coffee and gingerbread men. We stayed up all night talking and laughing. It had been awhile since someone made me laugh so much that my cheeks hurt. I didn’t mind it though. Somehow we got on the topic of music, and I confessed to having a Gibson in my closet that was never used.

 

“You know that’s a sin right? Break it out, let me see it.” He encouraged, and I dragged my feet into my room to retrieve the guitar out of my closet. When I pulled it out of the case for him to see, his eyes lit up as if it was already Christmas morning. I handed it over to him, and he carefully propped it up in his lap. His fingers strummed the chords. “This is a Gibson Montana Hummingbird. Did you buy it?” 

 

Shaking my head no, I was fixated as he managed to tune the guitar. “It was my dad’s. He used to be in a band on the weekends. He gave it to me a couple years ago.” 

 

“Wow. You have no idea, this is a classic… it was a staple in the 60’s.” He was totally geeking out on me, and it took everything to hide the smirk on my face. 

 

“Are you going to play something for me guitar whisperer?” 

 

He cut his eyes at me before putting the strap over his shoulder. I watched him adjust himself on the couch before his fingers made contact with the strings.

 

“Alright, guess this one…” He challenged. 

 

“Bring it on.” I gave him my best game face and closed my eyes. Instantly the melodic tone of the guitar reached my ears. I felt extremely guilty for leaving it locked up these past two years. I had wanted to learn how to play, but never took the time to actually try to. 

 

I knew the song within the first 5 seconds. He was going easy on me. “ Easy, too easy almost. Killing me Softly. In your face. Next!” 

 

He let out a loud laugh, and my body came alive. I decided in that moment that his laugh was my new favorite sound. “Ok that was your free-be. What about this one…” 

 

Sitting cross legged on the floor in front of him, I realized that I was definitely fortunate to have had him walk in on me in the bathroom. When he played, it was almost a spiritual experience for him and now me. He played with passion even if it was just dealing with a silly game like this one. 

 

I bit the inside of my cheek, not being able to guess this one. “Give me a hint…” 

 

“No it’s a classic come on you  know it.” He encouraged.

 

“I need a hint! Sing it.” I was joking but surprisingly he took me seriously.

 

He rolled his eyes and then licked his lips before lightly singing it. “Well don’t stop here, and I lost my place, and I’m close behind…I’m close behind, well even the best fall down sometimes and even the wrong words seem to rhyme…” 

 

I wasn’t ready for such a beautiful sound. He oozed talent in every aspect, and I felt 100% special. He had no idea at all. My mouth was dry, and I was surprised I was even able to get any words out. “Collide…Howie Day.” I swallowed, and he finally set the guitar aside. 

 

“You cheated. I’ll give you a half a point though.” We sat silently for a moment, our eyes looking into each other. I wanted to look away, but I didn’t. 

 

 

When 6am rolled in I was exhausted from all the laughing, guitar playing and talking. I don’t even remember falling asleep in my recliner. 

 

The brightness of the sun hitting my face woke me up instantly. I sat up in the chair and looked around my empty living room. The quilt blanket was covering me now, and I couldn’t help the sinking feeling in my stomach. I even questioned if the night before had legit happened, or if I had just had some really realistic slightly wonderful dream. “Justin?” I called out in a slightly uncertain tone. When I didn’t get a response, it was my confirmation that it hadn’t happened. I managed to climb out of the chair and shuffle my way into the kitchen. I was so thankful it was my one day off. It was long over due. 

 

While walking past the sink,I paused and noticed the two coffee mugs. Cocking an eyebrow I turned as my front door opened. 

 

“Hey you’re up. I got some bad news…” He sighed as he dusted snow off his coat. 

 

I wanted to pinch myself as stupid as that sounds. “What?” I managed to get out, still half asleep. I definitely wasn’t a morning person. 

 

“The road is non existent. It’s covered in snow. Do you have a plow coming ?” He was slightly out of breath, and I could tell I must have looked like a complete moron just standing there. 

 

“Plow? Fuck me…” I finally made my way over the the window and peered out at the roads. We were snowed in. My car was covered in it except for the top and the front windshield. My guess was Justin was attempting to dig it out and just gave up. I don’t blame him. “You’re going to have to call your helicopter to come and scoop you up.” 

 

He rolled his eyes and gave me a bit of a look. “Don’t do that. I don’t have a helicopter. I wonder if I could rent one though…” He was seriously entertaining the idea of having a helicopter pick him up. 

 

“You’re going to have to. Who knows when the plow will come through. I’m sure you’re anxious to get back to your hotel and stuff. Aren’t people worried about you?” I sat down on the couch and pulled my legs up to my chin. He took off his coat and draped it over the back of my recliner. 

 

I kept my eyes on him as he sat next to me on the couch. We stared at each other and my body tensed as he got closer to me. “No. I kind of like no one bothering me.” 

 

“Aren’t you sick of me yet though?” I teased, purposely bumping my shoulder with his. He laughed and shook his head no.

 

“Not even a little bit. I told you, I like you Ryland.” He had a serious expression on his face as he said this. I felt my stomach flutter and wanted to bury my face in between the couch cushions. 

 

“I like you too.” I mumbled into my knees, avoiding eye contact at all costs. He managed to pull my head up and forced me to look him in the eyes. They were so clear and blue. 

 

“I’m glad you do.” He smirked. I felt his body lean into mine before his lips made contact with my own. They were soft, and I enjoyed every moment of his kiss. It wasn’t too fast or too slow. It felt so good to be kissed by him. He pulled back first, and it took everything in me to not wrap my hand around the back of his neck and bring him back down to me. 

 

“I’m sorry.” He apologized, licking his now swollen bottom lip. “I didn’t mean to do that, well I did, but I don’t want you to think I’m trying to initiate anything…” 

 

I gave him a bewildered look and then pulled my hair up into a tight ballerina knot. “Can I be blunt with you?” I questioned, deciding to throw all my morals out the window. I was 27 years old and hadn’t been kissed or touched by anyone in almost two years. 

 

He hesitated a moment before nodding. “Go head.” 

 

“We’re going to be stuck here for awhile. We can either sit here, watch some Christmas movies, eat everything in my fridge, and lay around, or we can go in my bedroom and I don’t know see what happens. Then we can eat everything in my fridge and watch Christmas movies. Sound cool?” I wan’t usually so straight forward, but when opportunity comes knocking you have to just take it by the horns. 

 

He kept his eyes on me and rubbed his chin a moment as he contemplated what I’d just thrown out there. For a moment I was afraid he was going to laugh, but much to my surprise he stood up and pulled me up onto my feet. “Lets see this bedroom of yours.” 

Chapter 4 by Mandy822

The plow never came and the snow started to fall again. Somehow the morning went by and the afternoon passed in a blur. We had made hot pockets and Doritos for dinner. I was starting to become nervous about not being able to get to work the next day .I'd set up camp in my bedroom with my laptop and worked from home as best as I could. Technically it was my day off, but I always prepared myself for the worst. In case I couldn't go in the next day I'd still have gotten something done.Justin had already made a few calls. I suggested he rent a helicopter again but he refused.

 

The view from the bed was comforting as the snow fell quietly from the sky. I felt the bed shift, and looked over at him as he sat beside me. His hand rubbed my thigh in an affectionate way. We had definitely been keeping ourselves entertained. I could honestly say there wasn’t a part on my body that he hadn’t touched yet. 

 

“I think it’s safe to say we’re doomed.” He teased,and  pulled my black shawl around him. I cocked an eyebrow, and picked up the fringed corner of it. “You do realize this is my shawl right? I bought it at Forever 21.” 

 

He looked it over and shrugged. “I only have one pair of clothes here. I thought I’d switch it up a bit. I’m also glad we’re comfortable being naked around each other now because my underwear and socks are going in the washing machine soon.” 

 

I placed my hand over my mouth and tried to hold in my laugh. He grabbed me up and pulled me into his lap. I felt my breath catch in my throat as he began kissing up the length of my neck. My fingers found his hair and I toyed with it. I could tell he was smirking without even looking down at him. “This is okay right?” I asked, unsure of what 'this' was even called at the moment. 

 

He stopped kissing  the nape of my neck and made eye contact.” Why wouldn't it be? I like you Ryland. You're funny and I like being around you. Not to mention you're beautiful.” 

 

I felt the blush seep into my cheeks at his compliments. “I’m sorry I trapped us here. You could be back in LA by now.” I pulled away from him a bit, feeling overwhelmed and guilty. I didn't want complications or to think about what was to come. I was happy and satisfied with the moment we were in. I didn't want to think ahead. If time suddenly stood still I wouldn't mind.

 

“Stop apologizing. I’m kinda of glad you did. If you hadn’t I’d never have gotten a chance to really get to know you. You’ve got nothing to be sorry for.” He tilted my head closer to him and I felt his lips kiss my temple. I definitely didn’t want him to ever leave, but I knew that was unavoidable. 

 

 

The plow came the next morning. I watched it through my living room window as it cleared the street. People were already outside digging their cars out, and I was dreading the fact that it was time to step back into reality. 

 

Bringing the black ceramic coffee mug to my lips, I took a slow a drink before going into my bedroom to wake Justin up and relay the wonderful delightful news.

 

My room was quiet and the blinds were closed keeping the room dark still and hidden from the sunlight outside. It was peaceful. The only sounds weres the space heater and Justin’s breathing. I lay on my side and faced him. He always slept on his left side. It worked out perfectly since I liked to sleep on my right, so we’d always face each other before falling asleep. Extending my hand out, I let it move over the side of his face. 

 

His stubble scratched the palm of my hand as I moved it back and forth against him. He was lucky I liked him. I could get used to him being in my bed. My simple Queen sized bed from Ikea. My bedding wasn’t top of the line but instead was a Nate Berkus set my mom had bought me at Target two years ago. It was almost weird to see Justin in such an ordinary setting. He lived in hotel suites with California King sized beds and duvet covers. To see him in my small bedroom on my Target sheets in my Ikea Queen sized bed was almost amusing. 

 

I leaned into him and kissed him on the lips. He inhaled a breath and shifted a bit. My arm wrapped around his waist and I pulled myself against his body. This movement caused him to open his eyes for just a moment so he could wrap his own arm around me and press me firmly against him. I smiled into his chest as I felt his body relax again. “The plow came.” I whispered, tracing my fingers over his biceps. He opened his eyes fully and looked me over. 

 

“Yeah? That’s great.” He yawned and stretched his arms up towards the ceiling. “I guess you won’t have to miss another day of work after all.” 

 

“Yeah, woo work.” I pumped my fist in the air as he finally stood up and began pulling his jeans on. 

 

“What’s wrong?” A concerned look came over his face, and in typical girl fashion I shrugged then pulled my pillow on top of my stomach, hugging it against me. 

 

“Nothing. It’s just…this was probably one of the best snowed in experiences I’ve ever had.” I admitted quietly, trying to avoid eye contact. 

 

He sat back down on the bed beside me and pulled my pillow away, tossing it carelessly to the end of the bed. “Are you assuming I’m going to just whistle on out of here ?” His eyebrows raised, and he tilted my chin forcing me to look up at him. “Ryland, I want to see you again. Beyond these walls…” He laughed, putting his hand over mine and giving it a decent squeeze. “You can’t expect to get rid of me that easily.” 

 

Pressing my lips together, I tried desperately to just believe what he’d said. I wanted to more than anything, but instead I refused to. “Justin, this was great, but we …you and I wouldn’t work. I have a very demanding job. I can’t just do things freely like you. I have commitments…and your lifestyle doesn’t mesh with mine. I really like you, but it wouldn’t logically work…” 

 

“Wow, you’re shooting me down before I can even ask you out on a date?” It was obvious he was joking, but I could tell I’d hit a nerve. “Ryland, I get that you work a lot. I work a lot too. No we don’t live in the same city let alone same state, but that doesn’t mean I can’t come see you….” His hand made contact with my face as he rubbed it in an affectionate way. “I mean logically we’d work. I wouldn’t always be here to interfere with you working… “He smirked, and I could tell he wasn’t going to give up so easily. 

 

I pulled the blanket over my face, hoping he wouldn’t hear me. “I’m going to miss you when you leave.”

 

His hand gripped it and pulled it down. The smile on his face reached from ear to ear and he leaned down to kiss me. “I’ll be back soon. After Christmas…” His finger traced my jawline. “We can make it work.”

 

I was hesitant to agree with him. I knew it would be easy to fall in love with him, but that made me vulnerable to get my heart crushed into a million pieces. “Don’t hurt me.” I warned.

 

His features softened, and he shook his head slowly. “I won’t, if you don’t hurt me either.” 

 

“Deal.” My hand extended, encouraging him to shake it as if we had just made some big business transaction. In a way it was much more important than that. 

 

His hand took mine and we shook once. “Deal.”

 

I had no idea what I’d just gotten myself into, but in that moment I didn’t care. What did I have to lose? 

 

Epilogue by Mandy822
Author's Notes:
Justin's POV 

(Present day) 

 

I pulled my carry on bag out of her trunk while she made her way up the steps to unlock the front door. Ryland’s house was a nice upgrade from her apartment. She had worked hard for it, and refused to let me help her out with it. I was surprised when she let my buy her living room set, but I’d managed to convince her it was a house warming gift. 

 

Letting out a long sigh, I watched as the translucent puff of air escaped my lips. The ground was covered in snow, and thick icicles hung from the gutters. I pushed open the door all the way set my bag down before removing my scarf and gloves. “Ryland?” I listened to her get a wine glass out of the cabinet. 

 

“How was your flight?” She called out, as she moved through the kitchen. I could hear her heels click against the wooden floor. “I know you hate those smaller jets…” 

 

“It was alright.” I moved into the kitchen with her, taking the bottle of Moscato D’Asti off the wine rack. She followed me with her eyes before setting her glass down. 

 

“Do you want to go to a Christmas party tonight? I know how much you love them.” She mused, giving me a hint of a smile. 

 

I pulled open one of her drawers and found the wine opener. “Yes, but I actually want to talk to you about something first…” Once the cork was out I poured her a decent amount into her glass. She looked at me with worry filled eyes. If only she knew. 

 

“Oh. Alright then.” Her gaze shifted downwards as she pressed the glass to her lips. 

 

My heart was pounding in my chest. It was obvious she was dreading the worst. It was in her nature to always find the bad before the good. I hoped she couldn’t sense how nervous I was. I moved in on her and took the glass out of her hand, taking a drink from it myself before setting it down on the counter top. My hand found hers and I pulled her against my body. I could feel her fingers move over my lower back, and for a minute we stayed like that. “What’s wrong?” She asked in a quiet tone. “I know things between us haven’t been so great. You were just gone so long this time…” 

 

Shaking my head before she jumped to conclusions, I gripped her hand and led her into the living room. “You were right about it being difficult with the distance, and the lifestyle.” 

 

She pressed her lips together and then moved over to the fire place. I watched as she pressed the button on to top causing it to light up instantly. She kept her back to me and her arms crossed tightly against her midsection. “It took you two years to decide I was right?” 

 

I kept my hand gripped around the velvet box inside my coat pocket. “Ryland, meeting you is by far one of the most memorable moments of my life.” 

 

She looked over at her shoulder at me, her eyes were glassy, and I wanted to reassure her it wasn’t what she assumed. “In those short few days with you, I knew that I had to keep seeing you. You’re the only person who has ever made me feel… like home.” 

 

 

“I just gave you coffee and cookies.” She laughed, wiping a stray tear from her cheek. 

“They were really good cookies, but it was more than that. I love you. I knew it wouldn’t take me long to, and it didn’t.” Inhaling a breath, I finally managed to pull the small box out of my coat pocket. Slowly lowering myself onto one knee, my hand shook as I opened it, displaying the white solitaire diamond. It took her a moment to register and slowly her eyes widened and she placed her hands over her mouth. “Will you marry me?” It felt good to finally ask her. A weight was instantly lifted from me, but I still felt the nerves in my stomach. 

 

“I…I thought you were breaking up with me.” She laughed before nodding enthusiastically. “Yes. Of course I will.” Her smile reached from ear to ear as I placed the ring on her finger. 

 

“You’re always thinking the worst, I said I wouldn’t hurt you if you didn’t hurt me…” I pulled her down onto the floor with me. She wrapped her arms around my neck before kissing me on the lips. The snowfall outside was picking up and she groaned against my lips.

 

“We aren’t going to make that Christmas party. I was kind of looking forward to chasing you out into the snow again..” Her fingers ran through my hair and I could care less about any party at the moment. 

 

“If you want I’ll get drunk on wine and you can reenact that in your backyard…” I bit on her bottom lip lightly.

 

“The snow is falling pretty hard.” She talked against my lips. “I think we’re going to be stuck here for a few days…” 

 

“I hope so.” I placed my hand on her back before scooping her up into my arms. 

 

“You haven’t seen my finished bedroom. The paint took forever to dry.” Her grip around my neck tightened as I carried her up the stairs. 

 

“Lets see this room of yours then.” Playfully I winked at her, eluding to the first time she had invited me into her bedroom. Her lips fully kissed mine, and I couldn’t help but smile down at her as I kicked the bedroom door open. 

 

 

 

The End


This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2869