Let's Make a Deal by AceofSpades
Summary:

[ONE-SHOT] After breaking up with Bobbie Thomas, JC Chasez was heartbroken. He would do anything to get her back.

Annaleigh Carr had changed after her relationship with Wade Robson ended terribly; she was her feisty self on the outside, but broken on the inside.

So, JC struck up a deal with Annaleigh; he’d help her build her self-confidence and she’d help him get his girl back.


Categories: In Progress Het Stories, Group Characters: Group, JC Chasez, Lance Bass
Awards: None
Genres: Celebrity/Celebrity, Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Deck of Cards
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2636 Read: 428 Published: Mar 08, 2014 Updated: Mar 08, 2014
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: I don't own *NSYNC or their friends, family, or other celebrities mentioned in this fic and/or the other fics and I write in the future. I only own Annaleigh Carr, her family, and her plotline.

Set during Celebrity Tour.

Warning: This story does contain spoilers regarding the stories in the Cards series. 

1. Let's Make a Deal by AceofSpades

Let's Make a Deal by AceofSpades
Let's Make a Deal 

JC Chasez was heartbroken.

So much so that he barely felt the needle that stabbed his left butt cheek through the cloth that made up his boxers. He shivered, just slightly, as the air conditioning kicked on in the room, brushing across his bare skin.

“Turn.”

Holding his arms out to his sides, JC slowly spun on the circle-shaped wooden step stool under his feet. His toes hung off the edge, knuckles popping before Annaleigh Carr came into view.

 “You have a needle stickin’ out yer ass and you barely flinch,” she commented, sticking her needle into the 8-ball that sat on her left wrist. She gathered her dark brown hair in her hands, pulling it back into a ponytail before allowing it drop back over her shoulders.

She then pulled the measuring tape-that she used as a belt-through her belt loops, starting to wrap it around her hand. “I asked you to turn three times already. Three! What’s goin’ on, Josh? I’ve got these vibes comin’ from you and they stress me out!”

She was the only one who called him Josh as a way to make sure she had his attention—apart from his mom whenever he was in trouble, the same way she only referred to Lance as James when she was mad or disappointed in him, or needed his attention. She had joined *NSYNC on their No Strings Attached Tour as a bass player to their live band when their old bass player left for family reasons.

She brought a breath of fresh air to the group (and a lovely accent JC admittedly loved to hear) and stayed on to record their Celebrity album as well as to help prepare for their PopOdyssey tour; which was why she was filling in for their wardrobe stylist with hemming for the day.

Her eyelids lowered over her green eyes as she tilted her head to the side, clicking her tongue when he didn’t answer. “Boy, don’t you be getting’ quiet on me now,” she said to him, her Southern twang becoming more prominent, shaking her head back and forth. She was childhood friends with Lance, also hailing from Clinton, Mississippi. She reached for a pair of jeans from the chair beside her and shook them out before throwing it at him. “It’s Bobbie aint it?”

JC gave a brief nod of his head, the button of the jeans barely missing hitting him in the eye. He unbuttoned and unzipped them before stepping into the legs. “How could you tell?” he asked. He looked up as the nineteen year old snorted.

“Light up like a Christmas tree every time she’s ‘round you or is mentioned,” Annaleigh replied as reached for the yellow sleeveless shirt. It was adorned with partial cheetah print, different designs, and looked like it had some graffiti on it. “Happiest I’ve seen you when you’re with her.” She handed him the shirt and he pulled it over his poofy, curly hair. “Same time, saddest I’ve seen ya is when y’all are on the outs. So, naturally, I assume y’all are on the outs.”

“You’d assume right,” JC replied with a nod of his head.

He wasn’t one to generally share details of his personal life, especially his love life, but ever since he had met her, and ever since she had joined the *NSYNC band, they had just clicked. He knew he could trust her with his secrets. Unlike the boys, she had never pressed, pushed, or teased him for information. However, like the boys, she was there to lend a listening ear when he needed it.

He didn’t know what had happened this time. One minute they were enjoying a nice evening in for once in their life; first night in in a long while. He had managed to get everybody out of the house and had taken all of the couch and chair cushions, pillows, and blankets in their shared house and made a picnic space by the fire for the two of them. He had wine selected for her, ordered her favorite food, dimmed the lights, and presented her with a date night in.

Everything was going well; they were catching up, having a nice conversation, talked about what was new with each other’s jobs; Bobbie worked in New York for a teen magazine, and just wanted to spend time with each other. Pretty soon they were yelling at each other, food barely touched, wine glasses practically full, curse words flying, and tears falling.

She wanted him to call more, visit more, be there more, and he wanted her to be more understanding, more patient, and less clingy. He knew she just wanted to be with him as much as possible, and he wanted the same thing, but they were simply on two different career paths. They both knew it wouldn’t easy and that was what was ultimately pushing them apart; the distance, the lack of visitations, the hope that they were staying loyal, and knowing how hard it all was.

It was just taxing on their relationship and their worries and fears that they didn’t know how to explain to the other that by the time the night was over they were broken up again, and he didn’t know if they were going to make it through this one.

He truly loved her. He loved her with all of his heart. He felt like a part of him was missing whenever he wasn’t with Bobbie, and at the same time, he wanted to rip his hair out every  time they got into a fight with each other. Their relationship was complex and intense. It was good and it was bad. It was right and it was wrong. She was who he wanted, he knew that for sure.

“Sorry,” Annaleigh commented, half her face scrunching up before she started to walk slow circles around him, occasionally tugging at the shirt and pants. “Fit well?” She crossed back over to the chair and reached for the abandoned clipboard, peering at it. She tapped a blue finger nail on the sheet of paper before walking around him, again. “You asked for the pants to be tightened, right? Not surprised, y’all have been droppin’ weight like nobody’s business.” Her pink lips stretched upwards into a teasing smile. “Particularly around your left butt cheek.”

“Excuse me?” JC asked with a laugh.

“You can’t expect me ta do a job like this and not sneak a peek,” Annaleigh said, throwing him a wink before smacking his bottom with the clipboard. She then brushed her hair out of her face with her hand. “So did you end it this time or did Bobbie?” she asked him.

“I did,” JC replied, moving to sit down on the stool. “Which was a mistake. I miss her.”

“Jus’ take the time ta sit back and think ‘bout it,” Annaleigh suggested.

“I don’ have ta think ‘bout it,” JC said with a shake of his head. “I want her back. I said what I said because I was angry. She won’t answer my calls or anything.”

“Can’t really blame her, can ya,” Annaleigh commented.

JC leaned forward, bringing his thumbs to his teeth, chewing on the nails. He rested his elbows on his knees, tapping the balls of his feet on the floor. No, he couldn’t blame her. He wouldn’t know what to say to her if she decided to call him. It’s been three days, and he was barely able to focus on anything and he knew the other boys noticed, too.

Both he and Justin Timberlake were considered to be the leaders of *NSYNC due to their experience with vocal work and performances through MMC. Everyone knew he was the most serious one of the group and he was proud of that fact. He loved making music. He loved being able to come up with something out of nothing and know that he was reaching millions of people all around the world.

To have his personal life leak into his work life was something he tried hard to avoid. He took both seriously, but knew should be kept separate if he wanted both things to work out. *NSYNC didn’t need girl drama, and he didn’t want his relationship to be all about *NSYNC.

“Jus’ give her some time,” Annaleigh suggested, crossing the costume closet to one of the many rack of clothes that lined both sides of the room. “She needs some space; you both do. Jus’ give it a day to think about what it is you really want.”

“What I want is her,” JC replied.

“Yeah, I got that,” Annaleigh said, pushing a few hangers aside to peer at him. She stepped through, removing a hangar from the rack, a long yellow and…multicolored coat on it. “Trust me, we all know. Y’all are switched on and off more times than a light bulb. Some reflection won’ hurt.” She then held the coat out towards him, the mole on her upper lip disappearing as she curled her lip. “Especially on this coat. Now, I’ve been holdin’ my tongue for a while ‘bout this, but this is the most gaudy thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life.”

“Not that you’re passing judgment,” JC said to her.

“Romans 2:1. ’Course not,” Annaleigh replied with a brief shake of her head. She caught his eye and the two of them started to laugh quietly. “Just like I’m not judgin’ your hair, but if I were datin’ you…”

“What’s wrong with it?” JC asked, lifting his hands up to touch his curly hair.

“I’ll jus’ say there’s a reason I constantly told Justin to cut his hair,” Annaleigh replied, making a face, her green eyes drifting upwards to his brown locks. “Hmm…maybe if you just straighten your hair…”

“I thought you were the one to get rid of his bandanas,” JC said as he slipped on the coat. “Thanks for that by the way.” Annaleigh gave a little bow. JC held his arms out to the sides before bending at his elbows. “I think it’s a little tight on the arms.”

 She then clicked her tongue. “Not surprised ‘bout that either,” she commented. “You’ve been getting’ pretty buff lately.” JC gave her an amused look. “Relax, I’m not goin’ ta jump your or anythin’.” She reached underneath the collar of her shirt and pulled out the chain of the necklace she wore around her neck, a ring sitting at the end. Her purity ring. “It’s not bad to look or to have urges, it’s jus’ actin’ on them that’s the problem. Made that mistake before, I’m not doin’ it again.”

JC was silent apart from making a nose in the back of his throat as a solemn look crossed her face. She tucked her necklace back underneath her shirt, a smile coming to her face. She had changed ever since her relationship with their former choreographer, Wade Robson, went south.

She was still her usual feisty self, but he could see that it was just an act for when she was around everyone and in a professional situation. When she was by herself, or in a more relaxed setting, she could  be fine one minute, then quiet, and self-conscious, and just…down on herself. It was scary how

“Do you really want her back that bad?” she asked, changing the subject, scratching at her hairline. JC nodded his head. “You’re goin’ to have ta show her that you truly care ‘bout her, but in differen’ ways than you have before. I mean, you’re a pretty romantic guy in general, but you need ta change it up.”

“Liiike?” JC suggested, his eyebrows shooting up.

“Have you tried courtin’ her and not datin’ her?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows shooting up.

JC blinked in surprise. “Uh, Sweetie, isn’t that where you like…have to be chaperoned on dates and stuff?” he asked her and Annaleigh let out a short laugh.

“Whenever I say that, everybody thinks it’s a bad thing. It’s not. Courtin’ is a way to see if the person you’re pursin’ is suitable for marriage,” she explained to him. JC slowly nodded his head, listening carefully.  “That’s the basis of it. You don’t have to be a Christian to practice courtin’. You just know up front what it is you’re lookin’ for, and you follow some guidelines to be sure that marriage is somethin’ you both see in the future.”

“For example you can hold hands and kiss, and get a little physical if that’s what you want, but you could say that you don’ want ta have sex as part of the relationship. Make physical limits. Or, you jus’ make sure you court one person at a time, that you’re entirely faithful to her. It’s really a way to get ta know each other to see if you’re really serious ‘bout each other.”

She then pointed a warning finger in his face. “But, I don’ sugget you do it if marriage isn’t somethin’ you’re ready for,” she said in a warning tone. She jabbed him in the chest, and he put his hands up defensively. “It’ll be different, but you’ll show that you have respect for her. You can make it work for your relationship if that’s what you want. Which it’s obvious that’s what you want.”

“So, you’ll help me?” JC asked.

“Help you with what?” Annaleigh asked, the freckles over her nose, bunching together as she scrunched up her face, confusion evident in her eyes.

“Help me with this courting thing,” JC replied, clasping his hands together, giving her a pleading look. “Because I don’t know what I’m doing. Please?”

“I don’t know,” Annaleigh replied, shaking her head. “It’s your personal life, C, not mine.”

“Please?” he asked again, sticking his bottom lip out. Annaleigh still looked unconvinced and he started making whimpering sounds.

Annaleigh glanced towards the ceiling, her lips moving slightly before looking back at him. “Fiiiine,” she replied after a moment of silence. “I’ll help.”

“Thanks, sweetheart,” JC said, stepping forward to give the small girl a hug. “You’re awesome.”

“Tell me somethin’ I don’t know,” Annaleigh replied, gently pushing him away from her, pressing the clipboard into his chest.

“There has to be something I can do to repay you,” JC said to her. A thoughtful look crossed his face for a moment. “You know…our dancer, Annaleesia, doesn’t know if she’ll be able to go through this whole tour with us. Maybe you could—“

“Take her place?” Annaleigh asked before letting out a loud bark of laughter. “Yeah, right. There’s no way I’m crawling around on stage actin’ like a sex kitten. No.” JC crossed his arms over his chest. “No, Josh. I’m serious. I’m a bass player, I like being ‘behind the scenes’ so to speak.”

“Come on, Ace. You’ve helped Lance with his dancing enough, you already know all the moves,” JC said to her and Annaleigh, put a hand in the air, shaking her head. “Annaleesia…Annaleigh…And, you’d be paired with Lance anyway, so it wouldn’t be too akward.”

“Yeah, only slightly,” Annaleigh replied, her words dripping with sarcasm.

“Ok, how ‘bout this?” JC said before holding his hand out towards her. “Let’s make a deal. You help me with Bobbie and I help you build up your confidence?” Annaleigh opened her mouth and JC continued on. “If there’s anything you don’t want to do, I’ll respect your wishes. if you feel like it’s against your religion, which I’ll try hard not to do, I won’t have you do it. You’ve been different since Wade, I want the old Ace back. ” He wiggled his fingers. “What do you say?”

“…Deal,” Annaleigh replied, sliding her small hand into his. She firmly grasped it and they shook hands.

JC smiled.


End Notes:

So this was just an idea I’ve had for a little while and decided to post this one-shot to see if there’s any interest in it.

This story is not affiliated with my “Cards” series. You could call it a side story in a way as it does have some spoilers for the series, but it stands alone.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2675