Love the Way You Love Me by Ashley Loves JC
Summary: They were never meant to be, they just happened...
Categories: Completed Het Stories, Challenges Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: POP!TOBER FICTION WRITING CHALLENGE 2013
Challenges: POP!TOBER FICTION WRITING CHALLENGE 2013
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 9256 Read: 3009 Published: Oct 10, 2013 Updated: Oct 10, 2013

1. Characters by Ashley Loves JC

2. Chapter 1: Fate by Ashley Loves JC

3. Chapter 2: Promise by Ashley Loves JC

4. Chapter 3: Sweet Lady by Ashley Loves JC

Characters by Ashley Loves JC

Ashten Miller

 

 

 

 

 

JC Chasez

 

 

 

 

 

Joey Fatone

 

 

 

Candace

 

 

Austin Carmichael

 

 

 

 

Roxie 

 

Chapter 1: Fate by Ashley Loves JC
Author's Notes:
Special thanks to the lovely MissM for beta-reading!

September, 1994

“Please.”

“No.”

“But you have to be there.”

“Um, no. I don’t have to be anywhere.”

“C’mon, Ashten you have to go.”

“No Candace, I don’t.” Ashten had been going back and forth over the phone for the past five minutes with her best friend Candace, who had been trying to convince her to go out.

“Girl, it’s Friday night, senior year and it’s Austin Carmichael’s party.” Candace replied.

“And? It’s Austin Carmichael Can, I’m pretty sure he’ll be throwing these kinds of parties all year long.” Ashten said, putting a load of clothes in the washing machine.

“But this is the party,” Candace argued. “Our first major party as seniors!”

“Wait, I thought that was supposed to be the bonfire?”

“Regardless, you have to be there.” Candace urged.

“Why do I have to be there?” Ashten asked for what felt like the hundredth time. Honestly, she loved her friends, but she hated that they always wanted to drag her out somewhere. There was nothing wrong with being at home every now and then. If it wasn’t Austin Carmichael’s, it was Derek Friedman’s or it was some nightclub where they had no business being. She’d personally found all of that partying exhausting.

“Because, you and Austin.” Candace said as if it were obvious.

“What about me and Austin?”

“Um, hello! It’s about time for you two to finally hook up; everyone’s been waiting for it to happen!” Candace stated very matter –of- factly.

“Okay, wait hold up!” Ashten exclaimed. “Me and Austin, no! Never gonna happen, and who is everyone?”

“You know just our little circle of friends.” Candace mumbled.

Okay, one thing was for certain. Their circle of friends was not small! There was Rachel, who people like to describe as super friendly, which was really just a euphemism for school slut. There was Joanna, town gossip. Whenever she was with Ashten, she was bashing on someone, so she was pretty sure that Joanna did it to her too when she wasn’t around. Taylor, well, Taylor was a sweet girl, but she wasn’t all there. Then there was Jessica, Nicole, and Casey who Candace liked to keep around. They were juniors, who hung on to her every word. The only purposed they served Candace was to stroke her ego. Yes, that was the idiocy that she surrounded herself with and she wasn’t sure why. Oh, and there was also Jayson, Clay, Warner, Tanner, Hunter, and Collin their guys as Candace had branded them; the jocks whose only hope of getting into a good college was on a Lacrosse scholarship. Or Daddy’s wallet.

She wasn’t sure why she put up with her friends. Maybe it’s because she’d known them all of her life, and she sort of felt loyal to her inner circle. Or maybe, it’s because she was too afraid to step out of that inner circle. The fear of putting herself out there, and making new friends; the fear of rejection. She figured she just stick with the people who already liked her. It was just easier that way. Besides, she’d only have to deal with these people for another nine months. Another nine months and she was free from the hell that was high school. She couldn’t wait to go to college, where she could finally be around people with depth. And indulge in deep conversation that didn’t have anything to do with Jason Priestly or Joey Lawrence.

“So you guys have been talking about me behind my back?”

“No.” Candace replied. “We’ve been talking about you and Austin!”

“Oh, and that makes me feel a lot better.” Ashten said as she walked into the kitchen and grabbed a bag of Cheetos from the pantry. “Listen, the only place I’m gonna be tonight is upstairs in my room, knee deep in my Chemistry book preparing for Monday’s test, which you should be doing too.” As Ashten sat on top of the island in the middle of the kitchen, and began to eat out the bag, she could just imagine Candace’s eyes roll all the way into the very back of her head.

“Like you don’t do that enough.”

“Yeah, and you should try it more.”

“C’mon Ashten, it won’t be a party without you…” Candace whined.

“Candace, flattery will get you nowhere,” Ashten said, hopping down from the counter, and heading up to her room.

“Okay fine. If you don’t go tonight, then I will make your weekend a living hell, and make it impossible for you to get any studying done.”

“Candace, flattery will get you everywhere.”

“Great! I’ll come get you at eight!” Candace exclaimed, hanging up before Ashten had gotten the chance to tell her that it’d be a cold day in Hell before anything would happen between she and Austin.

Dammit!” Ashten huffed before placing the cordless phone back onto the dock, and falling back against her bed. Frustrated, she grabbed a pillow, placed it over her face a screamed into it.

Meanwhile, across town Joey Fatone was having a little trouble convincing his friend to attend the same shindig.

“Forget it Joey, I’m not going!”

“C’mon man, everyone’s gonna be there.” Joey replied. “It’s the party of the year.” He and his best friend, JC were hanging out at his house, making plans for the night. Joey, who attended Dr. Phillips High, was trying desperately to convince JC to come to one of his school parties.

“I don’t know man, I just don’t feel up to it,” JC replied. The truth was he was a little afraid of feeling a little out of place. After finishing up his last season of the Mickey Mouse Club, he was preparing to fly back home to Maryland, and so he would have to readjust all over again. Not that he didn’t love what he did, but part of the sacrifice was constantly moving around, so outside of the MMC, he never quite felt like he fit in anywhere else.

“C’mon JC, don’t you want that one normal high school experience?” Joey asked.

JC looked up at him, thinking for a moment. Between filming for the show, and recording demos in his off time, he’d never really stop to think about everything that he was missing out on; high school, football games, parties. He’d been so career focused from the age of thirteen on that he’d never stopped to actually get that full teenage experience. “You know what? I’m in,” he finally decided.

“Alright! He’s IN!” Joey cheered, raising his arms into the air triumphantly.

****************** 

“Ugh, I am telling you Candace, by eleven o’clock I am out of here.” Ashten said, getting out of Candace’s white Audi after she had parked it outside of the circular driveway of the Carmichael Estate.

“The party’ll just be getting started by then.”

Ashten rolled her eyes as they proceeded to make their way across the driveway and up the marble steps to the big white door. They could already feel the bass of the music vibrating beneath their feet. Rhyon Burke, the star quarterback was sitting on the rail of the porch along with Leslie Adams, and Kevin Ellis the running back and linebacker with red cups in hand; drinking what Ashten assumed was not water.

“Wassup Ashten, Candace!” Rhyon called out.

“Hi guys!” Candace said, flashing a smile, and giving a five finger wave.

“Hey,” Ashten said, less enthusiastically.

Candace went over to give all three guys a hug, lapping up the attention, and Ashten impatiently waited by the door. Rhyon whispered something in her ear and Candace giggled flirtatiously, tossing her flaxen hair over her shoulder.

“Can, you wanna get a move on?” Ashten asked, jerking her head in the direction of the door.

“I’ll talk to you before I head out,” Candace told Rhyon before walking back over to Ashten, she smoothed down her navy Ralph Lauren dress that hit just above her knee and pulled up her flat knee high black leather boots. “I can’t believe you wore that.” She stated, giving Ashten’s outfit a once over.

“What’s wrong with the way I’m dressed?” Ashten asked, looking down at her plain white midriff, dark rinse denim capris, matching jean jacket, and crisp red Converse. The ensemble was only accessorized by her belly button ring and gold hoop earrings. 

“It’s a party.” Candace said.

“Right, not winter formal,” Ashten quipped. She was in no party mood. A half an hour before Candace came to get her, Ashten had showered, put together a matching outfit, threw her wet dark curls back into a ponytail, and slapped on some concealer and clear lip gloss, and somehow managed to look halfway decent. She wasn’t trying to impress anybody. She was just here to make appearances and get out as quick as possible.

“You’ll be lucky if Austin looks twice at you.” Candace said as if scolding her.

“I told you Can, I’m not interested in Austin,” Ashten huffed, before finally opening the front door.

“If you wanna win Prom queen, then trust me, you’re interested.”

As soon as the girls had stepped into the foyer, they were hit with the booming sounds of Juicy by the Notorious B.I.G. By the way that the Delacroix painting on the wall over the piano was hanging upside down, and the way the vase in the far corner over by the stereo system had been shattered to pieces, it had been pretty obvious that the Carmichaels were out of town. Linda and David Carmichael, who were both Architects, were hardly ever home. Ashten suspected this is why Austin used his parent’s money to entertain himself, just like his brothers had done years earlier.

“Hey it’s about time you two showed up!” Austin cheered. Ashten turned to Austin, dressed in his usual Ralph Lauren polo, this one a crisp white one, with nicely pressed beige khakis, and a pair of fresh oxfords. Yes this was the attire for most of the Lacrosse boys whenever they weren’t in uniform.

“Well you know it’s not a party without us!” Candace replied, as she and Ashten stepped into the spacious living room. The furniture had been pushed back to the walls, to make room for guests, and the giant big screen TV, which had been put on mute, was on ESPN, as per usual at any party of Austin Carmichaels.

“Damn straight,” Austin said, taking a swig from his Corona, and wrapping his free arm around Ashten’s shoulder. Candace had caught up with Lexie, a friend from school, leaving the two of them together. “So baby, how about we chill, you know just me you, my room?” Austin suggested. Ashten could smell the alcohol on his breath, and was put off even more by it.

“How about we not?” She replied, unwrapping herself from around his arm, and walking off.

“C’mon baby, don’t be like that.” Austin said, following her through the hallway and into the kitchen. “You know it’s supposed to be me and you.”

Ashten made her way through the throngs of people amongst the kitchen trying to lose Austin, but to no avail.

“Ashten, why are you doing this?” Austin called, hot on her heels.

“Doing what Austin?” She turned, her back against the stainless steel countertop.

“C’mon baby, we go all the way back. Don’t try to act like that means nothing to you. We’ve been friends for ever, it’ supposed to be me and you.” They were just centimeters apart, his six foot frame towering over her, trapping her against the counter. “I know you want us.” Austin said, close to a whisper. Was he trying to be appealing? Persuasive even?

“Uh, no Austin, I don’t.” Ashten said. She tried to look beyond his broad shoulders for any out, but he had her completely cornered.

“Yeah, you keep saying that, but you’re body’s saying something else,” He hissed, grinding against her.

“Oh ew!” Ashten cried, pushing against his chest. “Get away from me you big creep!” She yelled, finally pushing past him.

“I got a big hot tub I know you wanna get in!” Ashten heard him call as she made her way out of the sliding glass door and onto the patio. This party was already starting to go downhill, and fast!

 

 

“Yo Dawg, whuttup!” Joey exclaimed, pounding fist with Wyatt Smith, head of the Yearbook committee, as he and JC entered the party. That boy had never met a stranger.

“See man, I told ya” Joey said, turning to JC. “It’s not that bad.” He said, nodding his head to Jump Around by House of Pain.

“Yeah man, it’s alright I guess,” JC replied, feeling a little apprehensive. He knew absolutely none of these people. Was it too late to turn around?

His question was answered when he felt bodies being pressed up against his back, and shoved into what seemed to be the dance floor. The place was packed wall to wall, and he could forget about a way out.

Joey, the outgoing one, immediately broke out dancing. JC, the more reserved one two stepped for a little while before finding his groove. Despite being a performer, he was pretty shy, believe it or not. Whenever he wasn’t onstage he was laidback and quiet most of the time, so to be in the middle of the dance floor was a major change of pace for him, since he usually sat by the side during most parties.

JC had to admit to himself, that he was having fun. The more he danced, the more his inhibitions melted away. So maybe it wasn’t an eighties Brat Pack moment, but it was the most fun he’s ever had at a party.

After dancing for a while, JC had decided to take a break. Joey, on the other hand kept going song, after song, after song.

After JC had managed to push his way through the hordes of people in the living room and hallway, he got himself a drink from the cooler in the kitchen. After grabbing a Sprite, he made his way back to the living room and sat down on an empty loveseat, watching the party go on around him.

 

 

“Hey Ashten!”

“Um, hey,” Ashten said, looking over the short blonde girl blocking her way. Just as she was making her way back into the house in search of Candace, she was constantly being stopped by people. Mostly drunk lacrosse guys.

“Cool belly ring!” The girl said.

“Thanks, I got it when I was fifteen,” Ashten said distractedly. She honestly felt bad though, considering the fact that the girl knew her, yet she could’ve sworn she didn’t know the girl from Adam. “What’s your name again?”

“Carlie,” she said sweetly.

“It’s nice to meet you, Carlie,” Ashten said, extending her hand. Carlie shook it enthusiastically. “Um, you know, maybe we could catch up some other time, but right now I’m sort of looking for my friend.”

“Sure, sure!” Carlie said, her eyes growing wide, and filled with hope. Ashten wanted to talk to her! Ashten Miller had given her the time of day.

“Thanks,” Ashten said, before disappearing into the house.

 

Back in the house, sipping on his Sprite, JC had gotten bored with the party. He watched on as Joey became the center of attention, dancing to The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground.

“Go Joey! Go Joey! Go Joey! Go Joey!” The crowd cheered as Joey danced for his life.

JC smiled to himself; it was amazing how Joey could fit in anywhere, while JC on the other hand couldn’t shake his shyness. As he sat alone, the constant stares and points once people began to take notice of who he was, started to make him feel uncomfortable. He contemplated on whether or not he should leave the party. He got that feeling all over again that he didn’t belong. Since he came with Joey, and didn’t want to ruin his fun, he decided on calling a cab.

Just as he was about to get up and leave, he stopped right where he was in his spot on the loveseat, when his eyes landed on the most beautiful girl that he’s ever seen. She was the epitome of beauty, all 5’5 of her, with her beautiful bronzed skin, and jet black hair. There was something about her that made her stand out amongst the crowd, and JC was immediately intrigued by her. He couldn’t leave until he found out who she was…

 

“I’m so going to kill you for dragging me here, Candace.” Ashten said through gritted teeth, once she’d finally caught up with her friend. So far her night had been exhausting, trying to hide from Austin, and socialize with people who thought they knew her all at the same time.

“What are you talking about, I didn’t make you come.” Candace replied, nonchalantly.

“Bullshit Candace, yes you did.” Ashten said. “You wouldn’t get off my case until I came.”

“Oh chill, it’s not like I put a gun to your head.” Candace said, tilting her head back, and finishing off the contents of her cup.

Oh, I am so driving home, Ashten thought to herself. “Look Candace,” she huffed. “I showed up like you wanted me too. People know that I was here, so can we please just get out of here now?” Ashten begged.

“Aww, Ashten!” Candace whined, “But I’m having so much fun.” She pouted.

“Fine.” Ashten groaned.”Eleven-thirty tops.”

“Yay!” Candace clapped. “I love you Sissy!” She said, calling Ashten by the nickname that they’d come up with for each other back in the first grade, since they used to be as close as sisters. Operative words being used. Candace placed a big sloppy kiss on Ashten’s cheek before she resumed dancing.

“Yeah, yeah, sure.” Ashten said, before wiping off the slobber and lipstick stain that she was sure to have on her cheek. Ashten then turned looking for a place to sit down. Since she was going to be here for another half hour, although with Candace it would more likely be another two to three hours, she might as well get comfortable. Suddenly, she spotted an empty place on a loveseat next to some guy that she didn’t recognize.

He had the most beautiful raven hair, that fell into his face a little, and the most gorgeous blue eyes that she had ever seen. She could’ve sworn her heart had skipped a beat just by looking at him. He kept to himself, sipping on a Sprite- not beer- while the party went on around him. He wore a simple white T-Shirt underneath an open blue and white plaid button down, jeans and black combat boots. Nothing like what the Lacrosse guys wore. He seemed so quiet and unassuming, and that’s what intrigued her the most about him. Why didn’t she know him? How could she have let him fly under her radar?

“Hey Can,” Ashten said.

“Yes?”

“Who’s that guy over there?” Ashten asked, discreetly pointing in the direction of the loveseat, pushed against the very back of the wall.

Candace followed Ashten’s gaze and her eyes widen in sudden realization. “Oh my God Ashten, that’s- that’s JC Chasez,” she stammered, her eyes sparkling.

Who?” Ashten asked, the name not ringing a bell.

“From the Mickey Mouse Club, duh!”

“You mean, the Disney show?” She didn’t watch much television, much less a show on the Disney Channel.

“Girl, you better get on that before I do,” Candace said, before turning her attention to Rhyon.

“Hmm, smartest idea you’ve had all night,” Ashten muttered, before walking off to the loveseat, completely intrigued, buy this mystery guy.

Mister invisible, tell me how could

I miss you boy,

How could you have never caught

my eye, were you there all along,

Or were you just shy

“Um, is this seat taken?”

JC looked up to see that same beautiful girl standing in front of him, asking him if she could sit next to him. He just looked up at her, too mesmerized to speak.

 “I’m sorry, that was probably a stupid question, you’re probably saving this seat for your girlfriend.” Gosh, she was fucking up already. Of course a guy like him would already have a girlfriend. She should just bow out gracefully, while her dignity was still intact. “Sorry,” she said again before turning to leave.

Wait, what? No! She couldn’t leave. How could JC have messed up that quickly? It was humanly impossible to choke as quickly as he just had. “Wait!” He managed to call before walking away.

Ashten turned back around. God, please don’t let me have toilet paper stuck to my butt! She silently prayed before turning back around. “Yeah?”

“I’m not, um, I’m not saving this seat for anyone,” JC managed to get out. “You can sit here.” He said, patting the spot next to him.

“Thanks,” Ashten smiled sweetly before sitting down next to him. “Hi, I’m Ashten.” She said introducing herself.

“I’m JC, but you can call me Josh,” he said, extending his hand.

“Hi Josh,” Ashten took his hand to shake it, and smiled. She could have sworn she felt a million butterflies at the pit of her stomach. “Um, so do you go to Dr. Phillips?” She asked, trying to make conversation. She mentally scolded herself, once she remembered the fact that Candace had told her that he was on some show.

“Uh no,” JC replied. He was actually relieved that she didn’t know who he was, or at least pretended not to. “I uh- so you don’t know who I am?” He just had to make sure.

Ashten shook her head, blushing a little. “My friend said you were on a show or something like that, but I don’t really watch TV.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I’m much more into film and theater so yeah…”

JC had found that extremely refreshing. Ashten was different than the usual girls who threw themselves all over him to get his attention. She wasn’t a fan, hell she didn’t know him from Adam, and he liked that. “Cool,” he smiled.

“So, if you’re on TV show, then how’d you get here?” Ashten asked. If JC was such a star, like the way Candace made him seem, then shouldn’t he be somewhere much cooler than, here.

“I came with my friend Joey,” JC explained. “Do you know him?”

“Who doesn’t know Joey?” Ashten laughed. “We’re in Drama class together.”

“Oh so, you act?” JC asked, curious to find out more about her.

“Um, just a little, but nothing serious. I just needed an elective credit.” Ashten blushed. Gosh, why couldn’t she stop doing that? They were only talking for Christ’s sake! “So,” Ashten said speaking up again. “I’m getting pretty tired of this party, and it doesn’t look like my friend will be leaving here anytime soon, do you want to get out of here for a while? Maybe go for a walk?” Ashten asked.

“Sure.” JC said quickly, taking her up on her offer.

“C’mon,” Ashten said getting up, and motioning for him to follow her. “It’s beautiful out on the beach this time of night.”

So come with me, and

Walk for a while can I spring

You outta here and talk for awhile?

Gotta know what’s the deal with

You, Mister now I’m really feelin’

You…

“So Josh, tell me more about yourself.” Ashten said. She and JC were both now out back on the beach, where it was much quieter.

“Well, what do you want to know?” He asked, wondering what she found so fascinating about him.

“What’s it like being so far away from home?” Ashten asked, referring to the fact that he spent six months out of the year in Orlando to film the show, and then the other half of the year in his home state of Maryland.

“It’s really not all that bad, Orlando’s like a second home. Most of my friends are here, and work is here. I can picture myself making the permanent move here after graduation.”

“It really is a great place, not many people have the ocean as their back yard.” Ashten replied, staring off into the water, as the waves crashed against the shore.

“Yeah, I really like to come out here when I need to get some things off my mind.” JC said. “I don’t know, it’s just like when you’re staring into the ocean…”

“The waves just seem to wash your worries away,” Ashten said, finishing his sentence.

“Yeah,” JC smiled as they locked eyes. It was like she got him. Crazy, considering the fact that they’d only met just twenty minutes ago. 

“What do you do for fun?” Ashten asked, picking the conversation back up. She was so interested in him.

“I’m pretty boring actually,” JC replied, looking down.

“Oh come on, I’m sure you’re not that boring,” Ashten said, lightly swatting him across his shoulder.

“Well, when I’m not working I like to hang out at Universal Studios sometimes, that’s how I met Joey.”

“Oh, I loved him in Beetlejuice!” Ashten said.

“Yeah so did I,” JC agreed.

“You know, I’m surprised we haven’t met sooner,” Ashten said looking up at him.

“Crazy huh…” JC said, staring back at her. He could have sworn right then and there that he was falling for her.

“Well, things do have a funny way of working out,” Ashten smiled. JC seemed like a really cool guy, and she hated the fact that she hadn’t met him sooner, but now that she knew who he was, there was no way that he’d ever escape her attention again.“I’ll tell you what, how about we make up for lost time and missed opportunities?” she suggested.

About an hour later, the party was still going strong, and Ashten and JC were in their own little world. They were in Joey’s car, JC in the driver’s seat, and Ashten on the passenger’s side listening to show tunes.

“So, Ashten Miller is a fan of musicals,” JC stated. They had been listening to the Bells are Ringing soundtrack, and Ashten had been singing along to every word of It’s a Perfect Relationship, and quite in tune, if he must say so himself.

“Oh, I love them,” She replied. “I even thought of auditioning for the role of Ella in last year’s spring production.”

“So why didn’t you?” JC asked.

“I don’t know, I guess I’m not really all that great and-“

“You should really stop that,” JC interjected.

 “Stop what?” Ashten asked.

“Stop putting yourself down. You’re way too modest.” He explained. “I mean, if it’s something you like, I don’t see why you shouldn’t do it.” In all honesty, JC felt kind of bad for Ashten. She seemed really insecure and unsure of herself.

“So, you listen to Dinah Washington?” Ashten said, abruptly changing the subject. The last thing she wanted was for him to discover how pathetic she really was. JC looked to where she was pointing, and picked up the CD of the jazz singer’s greatest hits.

“You know Dinah Washington?” JC asked, raising an eyebrow. He knew that he shouldn’t have been surprised at this point.

“Do I know her? I love her!” Ashten exclaimed. “I especially love her rendition of Cry Me a River.” She marveled.

“That’s my favorite by her!” JC replied, surprised at just how much they had in common. Not many seventeen year olds listened to jazz, or much less knew who Dinah Washington was.

“Although Aerosmith does do a pretty kick ass version,” Ashten said, as if reading his mind.

“Okay, now don’t go there, because then that would just make this too perfect.” JC said, laughing lightly.

“So you’re a fan of the Demon of Screamin’ as well.” Ashten stated.

“I have every single album.” Josh said. “I blame my parents really.”

“Yeah, I think I might’ve been conceived to Dream On!” Ashten laughed, and JC joined her. “You know, before coming here tonight, I just knew it’d be the night from Hell,” she said. “And then I met you, and it’s been the best night I’ve had in a while.”

“Really?” JC asked.

“Really,” she replied. Having an actual conversation with someone was all she needed to be content. Not to mention the fact that she actually had a lot in common with him coupled with the feeling that she could really be herself around him. She didn’t want tonight to be the end of whatever this was. “I mean you’re a really cool guy Josh, I’m sure your girlfriend is head over heels for you.” Yes, yes she had used the classic line, but she had to find out whether or not he was single. She had been dying to know. But then again, a great guy like him had to be taken.

“Um, I actually don’t have a girlfriend,” JC said blushing.

Yes! Ashten silently cheered. “Well then, what are you doing tomorrow night?” She asked, hopefully.

“I um, I uh- was actually just going to stay in and finish reading The Catcher in the Rye,” JC stuttered.

“Oh,” Ashten frowned. Seriously? She was practically throwing herself at him. She thought that they’d had something good going, but maybe she was wrong. Maybe she was all off. Maybe he just didn’t like her like that. But he was just so different from any other guy that she had ever been interested in. He was actually smart, and funny, and charming. She wasn’t going to let him get off that easily. Maybe, she just had to try from a different angle.

What I gotta do for you to scoop

Me up? And what I gotta say to be

The one you touch?

“Well, I hear Grease is playing at midnight at the Cineplex tomorrow night, maybe you wanna go together?” She tried again.

“That sounds great,” JC smiled. Had Ashten just asked him out? “I’ll pick you up?”

“Sure,” she replied. “Let me write down my number,” she said, grabbing a pen from the ashtray and taking a moment to dig around for a scrap piece of paper. “Here,” she said, handing Josh her number, after she had written it down.

JC couldn’t believe how his night had turned out. In a strange twist of fate, the party that he had sworn he wouldn’t go to, ended up becoming a really great night.

“So, I should probably get back to my friend,” Ashten sighed, nodding in the direction of the party.

“Yeah, I should probably be doing the same,” Josh replied. Getting out of the driver’s side of the car, he quickly rushed to the passenger’s side to open the door for Ashten.

Wow, Ashten thought. We’re not even on a real date yet, and he’s opening the door for me, what a real gentlemen! “So, I know you won’t be in Orlando for much longer, but I was hoping that we could spend some time together until you leave?” She suggested.

“Yeah, sure,” Josh replied, smiling from ear to ear. “I’d really like that.”

“Thanks for a great time tonight Josh,” Ashten said. “I really enjoyed getting to know you,” she said, before reaching up and kissing him on the cheek.

When her lips lightly brushed the side of his face, it had by far been the best part of the night for JC. Joey convincing him to come to the party was by far the best idea he’s ever had.

“So, tomorrow night?” Ashten asked.

“Yeah, tomorrow night,” He replied.

“Bye, Josh,” Ashten waved, before walking away leaving him completely mesmerized.

Leaving him standing there, Ashten had a good feeling about them. It just felt so right. She liked the way he made her feel, and she could just imagine herself feeling like that all the time. It was written in the stars for them, she could feel it. They were going to be amazing together, and she couldn’t wait.

I’m gonna love the way you love me,

You’re gonna love the way you love me.

 

End Notes:

Song:

Love the Way You Love Me- The Pussycat Dolls

Chapter 2: Promise by Ashley Loves JC

May 1996

“Hello?”

“Hi!”

“Hey,” Ashten smiled, instantly melting at the sound of her boyfriend’s voice. “How’s Sweden?” She asked, sitting down on the couch and hugging a throw pillow tightly to her chest. After graduation, Ashten went onto the University of Central Florida where she was currently majoring in Business and JC, along with Joey had joined a group, *Nsync, with three of their friends. Things had seemed to be going well for them, since they were now signed to a label and recording an album overseas.

“Great,” Josh replied. “Well, except for the food. At least they have a McDonald’s!”

“Oh Josh, what a refined palette you have,” She teased, and they shared a laugh.

“So how’s school?” He asked.

“Great, I just finished up my last paper as a matter of fact.” Ashten replied.

“Lucky for you, I definitely do not miss writing midterms and essays.” JC said. “So, everything else okay on your end?” He asked.

He was stalling. He needed to tell her something, and she could sense that. “Josh, what’s wrong?” She asked.

“Nothing,” he replied.

“You’re a terrible liar.” Ashten said, rolling her eyes.

JC took a deep breath, silently contemplating whether or not if he should ask her what he’s been dying to for the past week. It was a really big risk. Maybe he shouldn’t. No, he couldn’t.

“Josh,” Ashten called, when he hadn’t said anything.

“There’s something I have to ask you.” He said seriously.

“Yeah?”

“Um,” JC started, biting down hard on his bottom lip. “Do you think that you would be willing to come fly out and see me once school’s out?” He finally got out.

“Sure!” Ashten replied, smiling. She missed him; she’d love nothing more than to spend time with him.

“For the whole summer.” He quickly added.

“I-“Ashten stopped. What? No! He couldn’t ask her that. He knew he couldn’t ask her that! “Josh,” she sighed. “You know I start my internship this summer.” She had spent hours perfecting her resume, doing volunteer work, and doing all the networking she could to secure an internship with Layna Marshall, Florida’s leading entrepreneur. It was the most coveted internship amongst her business class, she’d fought tooth and nail for it, and she’d gotten it. She would learn everything she needed to about starting her business by shadowing Layna. This internship meant everything to her and JC knew that she couldn’t just give it up.

“I know… I just…” JC stammered. “I really miss you.” He said.

“I know baby, and I miss you too, but it’s not fair of you to ask me to give up my internship. It means as much to me as recording that album means to you and the guys.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” JC apologized. He knew he wasn’t being fair to her at all. He couldn’t expect her to just give up her life, and drop everything at the drop of a dime to come be with him. She had her own life to live. But the selfish side of him was homesick and needed to see a familiar face… feel a familiar body. “It’s just that I need you.” He confessed.

Ashten sighed. “You’re really not making this easy for me Josh,” she said dropping her head down against the back of the couch. She couldn’t even believe that she was considering this.

“I’ll tell you what,” He said, the wheels beginning to turn in his head. “What if I set up something with A&R at the label, maybe you can shadow them while we record, and then we can spend time together when I’m not working?” He suggested.

“Josh don’t be ridiculous,” Ashten said. “That’s- that’s actually not a bad idea,” she said, reconsidering the offer.

“I mean I’m sure all of those elective music courses you’ve been taking will pay off,” JC replied. “And, I mean c’mon it’s Europe. Who doesn’t want to spend a summer abroad?”

He was persuading her. Hardcore persuading. Fuck! Why was he so persuasive? “I miss you too.” She sighed. “And this long distance thing isn’t getting any easier…”

“So, can I take that as a yes?” He asked, biting down on his thumbnail.

“I’ll book my flight as soon as school’s out,” Ashten said, finally relenting.

“So this is happening?” JC asked, getting excited.

“Yes, this is happening.” She replied, not really believing it herself.

“You have no idea how much this means to me Ash,” Josh said. “I’ll never forget this.”

“Yeah, you better not,” She replied.

“I love you.” JC said.

“I love you too, bye,” Ashten said before hanging up the phone. “I’m insane.” She said to herself, before tossing the phone beside her on the couch. She got up from where she was and walked down the hall to her roommate’s room. The best part about having an off campus apartment was living with someone you liked, rather than being forced to live with a stranger in a dorm. “Roxie, I’ve got to talk to you.” She said, lightly knocking on the door.

“What’s wrong?” Roxie asked from her bed.

“I just did something really stupid.” Ashten pouted, stepping into the room.

“Come and tell Mama about it,” Roxie said, patting the spot next to her on the bed.

“I’m giving up my internship with Layna Marshall.” Ashten said lying across the bed on her stomach. She softly plopped her head against the softness of the mattress once she’d realized the impact of her words. It definitely sounded dumber out loud than it did in her head.

“Ash!” Roxie exclaimed. “Why in the hell would you do something so stupid?”

“Josh wants me to spend the summer with him.” Ashten replied. That sounds even dumber, she thought.

“Okay, this does not sound like the Ashten Miller that I know; Giving up everything that she’s worked for for a guy? I mean, this internship is everything you’ve dreamed of, and now what, you’re just going to throw it all away?” Roxie asked. “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, if you give up this internship, you can’t just get it back.”

“I know,” Ashten huffed, feeling even more conflicted. The internship with Layna was the first step on the path to starting her career, something she couldn’t afford to pass up. On the other hand, JC was her boyfriend, she really loved him, and she was afraid that this distance between them was detrimental to their relationship. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place. “So, what should I do?” She asked, looking up at Roxie.

“Go.” Roxie said.

“What?” Ashten asked, looking up at her quizzically.

“I said go,” Roxie repeated.

“You really mean it?” Ashten asked. “I mean, everyone else is gonna think I’ve lost it.”

“Oh you have.” Roxie replied.

“Then why are you advocating that I give up everything and go to Sweden?” Ashten asked.

“Because, you’re totally butt crazy, over the moon, risk it all, take me now, I’m yours, in love.” Roxie said. “That’s the kind of love that people wait their whole entire lives to find, Ashten. Sure, it may be stupid to give up your internship for a guy, but you’re young and entitled to make mistakes. Be a little crazy, go for the guy, it’s worth the risk to fall hopelessly in love. That is an experience in itself.”

Ashten smiled. Roxie was so right. Yes, what she was doing was crazy and risky, and people wouldn’t get it, but that was okay. She needed to do in her heart what she felt was right, and right now, she needed to be with Josh. Whether it be right or wrong, it was definitely a risk worth taking. “So, you wanna help me pack?”

 

June, 1996 Stockholm, Sweden

“Ow, Kirkpatrick, you’re squashing me!” Ashten exclaimed. “Get off,” she huffed, trying to push Chris, the oldest member of the group off of her lap.

“Not until you tell me what you did with my taquito!” Chris exclaimed, seated comfortably on top of the rather small girl.

“First off, if I would’ve taken your taquito, I would’ve eaten it by now, and second you don’t need it, you’re freakin’ heavy dude!”

“Oh for that you’re gonna get it!” Chris replied, applying more pressure onto her lap.

“C’mon dude, I did not take your fuckin’ taquito. Get off me!” Ashten yelled.

“Dude, stop squishing my girlfriend,” JC said walking into the living room.

“Josh, tell this man that I did not take his damned freezer food!” Ashten said.

“Chris, Justin’s eating your taquito,” JC said, nodding in the direction of one of the bedrooms.

“Aw man,” He groaned, getting up from Ashten’s lap. “Justin you are so dead!” He called running off down the hall.

“Sorry about that,” JC said, sitting down next to Ashten on the couch.

“No worries, I like it. It’s like having brothers.” Ashten replied. It had been a week since she had been in Sweden with JC and the guys. They had immediately taken to Ashten, and her laid back personality. She enjoyed being around them as well, and could tell that this would be a pretty crazy summer, but in the best way possible. The guys were fun.

Chris, who was the oldest, was the most extroverted. He was loud and made fart jokes, and was the all around jokester. He had a great personality and always made Ashten laugh. Of course there was Joey, who she had graduated with, and had been friends with all throughout high school, so it was good to see him again. Lance was a really sweet guy from Mississippi. He was quiet and deep, and although very friendly he sometimes kept to himself. She absolutely adored him. Then there was Justin, who had come off of the Mickey Mouse Club with JC. He was the baby of the group. He was adorable with his curly hair and blue eyes, he was “Mr. Do it All”, and very wise beyond his years. She kind of saw him as a little brother. Although, if he kept staring at her ass the way he did, she’d have to smack him.

“I’m really glad you’re here baby,” JC said for what seemed like the hundredth time. He really couldn’t thank her enough. He almost felt guilty for having her travel half way across the world just to be with him.

“And I’m happy to be here.” She said, before kissing him.

“So, are you excited about tomorrow?” JC asked.

“As excited as I’ll ever be.” Ashten replied. Tomorrow, she started her internship in the A&R department at the Swedish division of BMG Ariola Munich, and she was nervous to say the least, but still excited none the less, since this was just as big an opportunity as the one she’d had back home.

“This summer’s going to be great.” JC said, grabbing Ashten’s hand.

“Yeah it is,” She replied, before leaning over to kiss him again. But right as their lips connected, the kiss was broken by a nauseating smell. “Ew, Joey!” Ashten exclaimed when he wiggled his way between them with the remote in his hand. “How many times a day can one human possibly fart?”

“Welcome to the family sis,” Joey replied nonchalantly flipping through TV channels.

“Ugggh,” Ashten coughed, pinching her index finger and thumb over her nose.

“Hey, you’re one of us now!” JC said, peeking over Joey’s shoulder.

August, 1996

“Wow, I can’t believe this is over already,” JC said. It was the end of the summer, the guys had finished recording the album, and were gearing up to set a release date for their first single, and Ashten was preparing to head back to the states and start school again.

“I know, I don’t want to leave.” Ashten sighed. They were walking hand in hand in downtown Stockholm, exploring the city since they didn’t get to do much of it due to work. The city really was beautiful, especially when it was dark out. The people were out, the town was buzzing, and all the city lights were glowing. The air was perfect, and was so much better than being back home.

“I don’t want you to leave,” JC said. “You know, maybe you could stay just a little longer?” He suggested.

“Oh no,” She replied. “The last time you convinced me to do something, it actually worked, and now that you’re here in person, you might be that much more persuasive.”

“Ah, well at least I tried.” JC said, as they came to a stopping point at the pier overlooking the river. As people whizzed around them, they took a moment to look down at the peacefulness of the water, the bright, full moon reflecting off of it.

“You know coming out here was the best decision I’ve ever made.” Ashten said.

“Really?” JC asked. Part of him was still worried that she’d made one of the biggest mistakes of her life because of him. “Even giving up the internship?”

“It was well worth it.” Ashten replied. “This summer, spending it with you, has been the best summer of my life and I wouldn’t take it back for the world, Josh.”

“I’m glad,” JC smiled. He was glad that he had these moments with her to cherish. Now that everything was picking up with the group, and things were about to take off he didn’t know how many more he would have with her.

“What’s wrong?” Ashten asked, once again, sensing that something was wrong.

“Nothing,” JC replied.

“Joshua Scott…”

“Ashten, I want you to know that you doing this for me has been amazing.” JC said.

“You keep saying that,” she replied.

“And I mean it.” JC said seriously. “Because I know it wasn’t easy for you to just drop everything for me, and I don’t expect you to do it all the time. I just… What I’m trying to say is I never expected to be doing what I’m doing right now, with the group, and I love it. It’s amazing. And if things take off, that means that I’m probably going to be gone a lot in this relationship.”

“Yeah, I figured that.” Ashten said, looking up at him. It was a harsh reality, but one they had to face.

“But my heart is always with you Ash, even when I’m not,” JC said, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer to him. “I just want you to know that, okay? I want you to know that no matter where this takes me, we’ll always be okay, I promise.” JC said, before gently placing a kiss atop her forehead, and finally onto her lips. “No matter what, I promise to always take you with me.”

 

 

Chapter 3: Sweet Lady by Ashley Loves JC

Five Years Later

“It’s been 3 months,” Ashten said, her lips brushing up against JC’s.

“3 devastatingly long, agonizing months,” He replied, before his lips came crashing down onto hers. He deepened the kiss, as he brought his hands up to meet hers and their fingers intertwined with one another’s.

“Hmm, I never want to leave this bed,” Ashten moaned, as her head fell back down against the softness of the abundance of pillows. As the soft Bahamian rains beat down against the window, she felt as if she were in paradise.

“Who says we have to?” JC replied, trailing soft kisses from her lip, and down her neck. It had been three months since the last time they’d been together, and he wasn’t about to let anything get in their way now. JC made his way back up to her lips, and slowly pulled back looking deep into her beautiful brown eyes.

“What?” Ashten asked, staring up into those beautiful blue orbs that have held her captivated ever since she was seventeen years old.

“You are so beautiful,” JC smiled, bringing his hand up to her cheek and lightly brushing it with the pad of his thumbs.

“Thanks,” Ashten blushed.

JC continued to stare down at Ashten mesmerized by her beauty. Seven years later, and she was definitely the one for him. Sometimes he couldn’t believe his luck; how by chance, he’d just happened to go to that party on that fateful night, and end up meeting the love of his life. How Ashten had picked him out amongst the crowd, without even having a clue about who he was. They immediately clicked and had been connected ever since. Then, that summer after the MMC had ended, JC and Joey had decided to join the group. They’d landed a deal and became a huge sensation, and his entire life both public and private had become the center of attention, and through it all Ashten had been right there beside him.

JC knew that it wasn’t exactly easy being with him. He was away all the time; touring, recording, and constantly promoting projects. There were always rumors of him dating a Spice Girl, a supermodel or an A-list actress, but Ashten was really amazing because she trusted him, and she never questioned his loyalty to her. Even when she was constantly being harassed by fans, and bashed on Angelfire sites, she never let it get to her. He liked the fact that she had no desire to be in the spotlight, and that she loved him for him. She was still the same girl that he’d known seven years ago, and she’d never changed. Not only that, but whenever he needed her, she was there, no questions asked. Whenever he was down, she was there to lift him up, and for that he owed her everything.

“I love you.” JC said.

“I love you more,” She replied, reaching up to kiss him again.

And that was the thing. He felt that she always loved him more. She was selfless and giving, and while he loved her more than anything, he felt like he hadn’t been the best boyfriend. He’d never cheated, and never would, but he was never… there. Granted, circumstances didn’t always allow him to be, but at the same time he felt like he could be so much more to her. Which is why he invited her to come to the Bahamas, where the group was filming a special, so that while they had some downtime, he’d spend every minute with her. If she could build her life around him, the way that she’d been doing the past few years, then he’d start doing the same. It was time he showed her just how much he loved and appreciated her.

I can't imagine life
without you by my side
This is love baby that I'm feeling
and I'm hoping
that you're feeling the same way

“I’m so glad you’re here with me,” He said, laying beside her and pulling her close to him.

“I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else,” Ashten replied, laying her head on JC’s chest.

“You know how much I love you right?” JC asked, looking down at her.

“Baby, of course I do.” Ashten replied. “Why?” She asked, sensing that something was wrong.

“I just… I know I don’t say it all the time baby, but you mean the world to me Ash, you really do.” JC said.

“Babe…” Ashten smiled. “That’s really sweet.”

“I mean it; I don’t think that I could make it through some of my days without hearing the sound of your voice. Particularly on the bad days, you’re what gets me through.”

Lately
have I told you I love you
lately
have I told you you still mean the world to me

“Wow…” Ashten sighed, as a tear involuntarily escaped her eye and rolled down her cheek. She hadn’t expected that. Yes, it was hard being with him sometimes, but she didn’t complain because she understood that it came with the territory. Although she’d never shared it with him, she sometimes did feel insignificant in his world. He was JC Chasez, world famous pop star, and she, was Ashten Miller, small town shop owner from Orlando, Florida. So the fact that he was acknowledging her in this way, felt great.

“And, I just want you to know that, there’s not a day that goes by that I’m not thankful that I have you in my life.” JC said.

Sweet lady would you be my
sweet love for a lifetime
I'll be there when you need me
just call and receive me 

“Jace,” Ashten sighed, smiling. She didn’t know where this sudden change in their relationship had come from, but she liked it.

JC leaned down to kiss her once more. Ashten was the love of his life. He was reminded by her presence that he was the luckiest man alive. He had her and he didn’t want to lose her. There was no way that he’d let her go, ever. It was time he started showing her just what he meant to her.

“What are you doing?” Ashten asked, arching her eyebrows up in confusion, when he reached over them and into the drawer.

“Something I should’ve done a while ago,” JC replied, pulling a ring box from the drawer.

“Jace…” Ashten interjected. “W-what are you doing?” She stuttered.

“Ashten baby,” JC said, propping himself up and looking into her eyes. “You are everything to me, and I am so blessed to have you.”

“Josh…” Ashten gasped, when he opened up the blue velvet box to reveal a three carat cushion cut micropaveq89; diamond ring.

“Ashten,” JC said. “I love you more than anything, and I want you in my life, for good. So will, will you be mine, forever baby?” He asked, taking the ring and sliding it onto her left ring finger. Silence. JC swore he could hear his own heart beating. He’d never been as nervous as he’d been right there in that moment.

As Ashten stared down into JC’s eyes, she was completely speechless, at a loss for words. Her heart was pounding in her head, and the room was spinning. Had he really just asked her to marry him? Breathe, yeah she should breathe. That would be a great idea right about now. She was being proposed to. By the love of her life. To say that she didn’t see this coming was a definite understatement.

“Ashten,” she heard JC call. “Umm, can you say something?” He urged.

“Did you ask my dad?” Ashten croaked, a tear escaping her eye. It was the first thing had come out of her mouth. She wasn’t thinking straight. Full sentences were not coming to her.

“Yes, yes.” JC replied nervously. “And your mom. So, what do you say?” He asked.

“Yes!” She exclaimed. “Yes, yes, yes!” She finally got out. Of course she would marry him!

“Thank God,” JC gasped, placing his lips on hers. “You had me worried.” He said, wiping her tears away.

“As if I’d say no!” Ashten laughed. “I can’t wait to start my life with you.” She said, looking up at him.

“Me either,” JC replied sweetly, before kissing her. Looking down at her, he knew. She was it for him, there was no one else. No one loved him like she did. He loved the way she loved him, and he knew without a doubt that he’d made the right choice. There was no turning back for him. She was the one.

 

End Notes:

Songs:

Lately- Tyrese

Sweet Lady- Tyrese

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2579